时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | We have to make a decision. | 我们必须要做一个决定 |
[00:04] | What do you think ? | 你怎么考虑? |
[00:05] | I think if we can get manslaughter we should take it. | 我想如果能得到过失杀人就接受 |
[00:08] | How much time would I serve? | 我要服刑多久? |
[00:10] | It could be as little as three years. | 也许只是三年 |
[00:12] | I would think at the most six. | 最多六年 |
[00:15] | God, | 天呀 |
[00:18] | my kids are 13 and 11 | 我孩子一个13岁一个11岁 |
[00:22] | six years! | 6年! |
[00:23] | Here is the problem, jury nullification is risky. | 有一个问题,陪审团拒认是个风险 |
[00:26] | Technically I’m not even allowed to argue it. | 专业角度上讲,我甚至都无法争辩 |
[00:28] | What about insanity? | 采用精神失常呢? |
[00:30] | The problem there is | 问题在于 |
[00:32] | your demeanor was calm and deliberate at the time. | 那时你的行为是镇定和显得深思熟虑的 |
[00:35] | Now look, Helen Gamble is a very good DA, | 现在来分析一下,Gamble是个很优秀的检察官 |
[00:39] | also on this issue, she is on a mission with it. | 并且在本案中,她是肩负使命的 |
[00:42] | Her grandmother, I don’t know all the details, | 她的祖母,尽管我不知道细节 |
[00:44] | was euthanized somehow. | 是以某种方式安乐死的 |
[00:47] | All I know is she goes tough on mercy killings. | 我所了解的是她在安乐死问题上态度十分强硬 |
[00:50] | This was an act of compassion for God’s sake. | 这是以上帝名义的善举 |
[00:52] | You know that, I know that, | 你知道,我也知道的 |
[00:54] | but if we can get manslaughter I think we should do it. | 担如果能得到过失杀人的协议,我认为我们应当接受 |
[00:59] | I can’t believe they are pushing this. | 我无法想象他们这样强加于人 |
[01:01] | This is politics. | 这是政治 |
[01:04] | You did shoot her in the head. | 你冲她脑袋开了枪 |
[01:11] | 本集英文剧本来自网络 | |
[01:55] | I’m not offering manslaughter. | 我不提议过失杀人 |
[01:56] | It’s a mercy killing. | 这是安乐死 |
[01:57] | It’s a homicide. | 这是杀人罪 |
[01:57] | I’m agreeing to plead homicide | 我是按杀人罪辩护的 |
[01:59] | Not enough you are not | 这还不够 |
[02:00] | What are you looking for, a life sentence? | 你要达到什么目的,终身监禁? |
[02:01] | This man is no criminal. | 这人不是罪犯 |
[02:02] | I’m looking for more than five years, | 我要判他超过五年的刑期 |
[02:04] | which is what he would probably do with manslaughter. | 他按过失杀人定罪可能也就是这个刑期 |
[02:06] | And he is a criminal Bobby, | 但他是一个罪犯,Bobby |
[02:08] | he committed premeditated murder | 他犯了蓄意谋杀罪 |
[02:09] | what I’m suppose to go light because it came from love. | 说什么我应该考虑这是因为爱而从轻发落 |
[02:11] | A lot of homicides do. | 很多杀人案都是因为爱 |
[02:13] | Listen to how angry you are getting. | 听起来你得多愤怒呀 |
[02:14] | I’ll see you in there. | 你放马过来吧 |
[02:16] | Hey, get some therapy. | 嘿,有病就要治 |
[02:18] | Take your hand off me, please. | 把你手拿开,拜托 |
[02:22] | I tried talking to her last night. | 我昨晚试图和她谈谈 |
[02:25] | So what do we do? | 那我们该怎么办? |
[02:26] | I still wouldn’t go insanity, she’ll pick us apart | 我还是不能用精神失常辩护,她会把咱们撕碎的 |
[02:28] | plus it’s pretty obvious he knew what he was doing. | 况且非常明显的,他知道他在做什么 |
[02:30] | So what are we left with? | 我们还有什么选择? |
[02:35] | Self-defense? | 自卫? |
[02:36] | It’s viable | 这是现实可行的 |
[02:37] | You want to argue he defended his wife by shooting her in the head? | 你想辩护他是出于防卫而冲他太太的脑袋开枪的? |
[02:41] | I should at least be allowed to argue it! | 我至少应该被允许去用这个理由辩护! |
[02:43] | Well you won’t be. | 你不会被允许的 |
[02:44] | I have to prevent the law from being tortured here. | 在这里我必须要阻止法律遭到摧残 |
[02:47] | If you consider the strict elements here… | 如果你考虑到本案严格的法律要件。。。 |
[02:49] | You will not argue that he acted in self-defense, that is ridiculous. | 你不能用正当防卫来做辩护,太荒谬了 |
[02:53] | What else? | 还有别的事吗? |
[02:54] | We’d ask the prosecution to include manslaughter as a lesser included charge | 我们想要求控方把过失杀人作为一个备选的指控项。 |
[02:58] | It wasn’t manslaughter it was premeditated and… | 这不是过失杀人,这是蓄意的,而且。。。 |
[03:01] | Question for the jury. | 这是陪审团要考虑的问题 |
[03:02] | The jury doesn’t get to decide what defendants are charged with. | 陪审团不应决定被告的起诉罪名 |
[03:05] | The reason she won’t charge manslaughter is | 她不指控过失杀人的理由是 |
[03:07] | she’s afraid that is what the jury will come back with. | 她怕陪审团会退而求其次去选择过失杀人 |
[03:09] | I can’t tell the prosecution what to charge counsel. | 我不能指示控方用什么罪名起诉,律师 |
[03:12] | Your honor… | 法官大人。。。 |
[03:13] | Bobby | Bobby |
[03:17] | Let’s go in… | 我们去庭上吧 |
[03:18] | Ms. Gamble, one second please. | Gamble女士,请等一下 |
[03:24] | As I’ve said, I can’t tell you how to prosecute your case, | 如我所说,我不能指示你这案子用什么罪名起诉 |
[03:28] | but it seems manslaughter is a good result here. | 但似乎这案子,过失杀人是一个不错的结果 |
[03:32] | I don’t agree. | 我不同意 |
[03:34] | A jury could let him go free. | 陪审团可能判他无罪 |
[03:36] | I’m aware of that possibility, your honor. | 我知道有这个可能,法官大人 |
[03:47] | May I help you? | 我可以帮你吗? |
[03:49] | I’m Mary Donovon. | 我是Mary Donovon。 |
[03:50] | I’m looking for Bobby Donnell, Eugene Yong or Ellenor Frutt. | 我来找Bobby Donnell, Eugene Yong 或者 Ellenor Frutt |
[03:54] | I’m Eleanor Frutt | 我是Eleanor Frutt |
[03:56] | Oh, hello. It’s very nice to meet you. | 噢,你好,见到你很高兴 |
[03:59] | You come highly recommended. | 有人强烈推荐你 |
[04:02] | I have $500, I would like to buy a day of your time. | 我有500美金,我希望能雇你一天的时间 |
[04:05] | $500 will get you to lunch. | 500美金可以吃一顿午饭了 |
[04:07] | Is there something specific… | 有什么特别的事。。。 |
[04:10] | My son, he’s in jail for a crime he didn’t commit. | 我儿子,他在坐牢,但他没有犯过罪 |
[04:14] | Well… | 哦。。。 |
[04:15] | Yes, every mother thinks her son is innocent. | 是的,每个妈妈都认为儿子是无辜的 |
[04:18] | The distinction here mine is. | 区别在于,我的儿子确实是 |
[04:21] | If I could just have one day. | 如果我能雇你一天 |
[04:23] | If it’s more than $500 I can pay overtime | 如果超过了500美金,我可以付加班费 |
[04:25] | Can you tell me the crime your son has been convicted of? | 你能告诉我你儿子被定的什么罪吗? |
[04:28] | Murder. | 谋杀 |
[04:29] | He’s on death row in Pennsylvania. | 他在宾夕法尼亚的死囚牢房里。 |
[04:31] | The governor just signed his warrant. | 州长刚刚签署了执行令 |
[04:33] | He’s to be executed in five weeks, | 他五周后会被处决 |
[04:36] | so time is of the essence. | 所以时间是最重要的 |
[04:39] | Please. | 拜托 |
[04:41] | I’m only asking for one day. | 我只要求一天 |
[04:51] | What do you do as a hospice worker? | 作为一个临终关怀工作者,你具体做些什么? |
[04:53] | It’s much like that of nurse, | 跟护士很类似 |
[04:55] | though I work primarily with dying patients. | 不过我主要针对垂死的患者 |
[04:57] | Usually at their own homes. | 通常是在他们自己家里服务 |
[04:59] | You worked for Scott Simpson, the defendant. | 你为被告Scott Simpson工作过? |
[05:01] | Yes, I looked after his wife. | 是的,我照顾他妻子 |
[05:03] | She was suffering from ovarian cancer. | 她患了卵巢癌 |
[05:07] | Mrs. Raymonds, | Raymonds夫人 |
[05:07] | calling your attention to the evening of Dec. 5 of last year, | 仔细回想一下去年12月5日晚上 |
[05:11] | do you recall what happened. | 你记起来发生了什么? |
[05:13] | She was in a lot of pain. | 她很痛苦 |
[05:15] | Mrs. Simpson? | Simpson夫人? |
[05:16] | Yes, we were giving her increased dosages of morphine, | 是的,我们给她加大吗啡的剂量 |
[05:20] | but she was still in agony. | 但她仍然十分痛苦 |
[05:21] | She was begging that we let her die. | 她乞求我们让她死。 |
[05:24] | Finally, Mr. Simpson, he um, | 最后,Simpson先生,他,呃。。。 |
[05:27] | he asked that I leave the room, which I did. | 他要我离开房间,我便离开了 |
[05:30] | Then what happened? | 之后发生了什么? |
[05:32] | After about two minutes or so, I heard a gun shot | 两分钟之后,我听到了一声枪响 |
[05:38] | Mr. Simpson then opened the door | Simpson先生打开门 |
[05:41] | and he said his wife was gone. | 他说他妻子去世了 |
[05:46] | You spoke of morphine. | 你提到了吗啡。 |
[05:47] | Actually on the day in question | 在我们谈到的这天,实际上 |
[05:49] | you were using morphine in conjunction | 你混合使用了吗啡和 |
[05:51] | with a benzyl diasapine, | 苯甲基氮平 |
[05:52] | isn’t that right? | 不是吗? |
[05:53] | Yes. | 是的 |
[05:53] | This drug is the equivalent of valium. | 这种药和安定的作用类似 |
[05:56] | It’s very close, yes. | 非常接近,是的 |
[05:58] | The purpose of the morphine valium cocktail | 将吗啡和安定混合的目的 |
[06:00] | is to hasten the patient’s death. | 会加速病人的死亡 |
[06:03] | Isn’t that right, Mrs. Raymond? | 不是吗?Raymond夫人 |
[06:04] | It’s primarily to relieve pain. | 这主要是缓解疼痛 |
[06:06] | Mrs. Raymonds, I remind you, | 我提醒你,Raymond夫人 |
[06:08] | you are under oath. | 你发过誓 |
[06:09] | The morphine valium combination | 吗啡和安定混合物 |
[06:12] | that is used to cause the patient’s death. True? | 往往会导致病人死亡,对吗? |
[06:16] | Yes. | 是的 |
[06:18] | So on the day in question | 那么我们谈到的这天 |
[06:20] | you were already acting to hasten Mrs. Simpson’s death , | 你已经着手促成辛普森夫人的死亡 |
[06:23] | weren’t you? | 不是吗? |
[06:24] | In conjunction with the family’s wishes, | 配合家人的愿望 |
[06:27] | I was employing a method of pain management | 我采用的是一种疼痛管理方法。 |
[06:31] | that would most likely result in the patient’s death, yes. | 是的,那很可能会导致病人死亡的 |
[06:34] | And no one charged you with attempted murder I assume ? | 但是我猜没有人用企图谋杀来指控你? |
[06:37] | Objection. | 反对! |
[06:38] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[06:39] | When Mr. Simpson ended his wife’s life | 当Simpson先生结束了她妻子的生命 |
[06:42] | he did something in seconds | 他只花了几秒钟 |
[06:45] | that you were basically trying to do in a day or so? | 就做完了你基本上需要大约一天才能做完的事? |
[06:49] | I can’t disagree with that. | 我无法反对这种说法 |
[06:51] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[06:57] | He was only 19 at the time. | 他当时才19岁 |
[07:00] | He’s convicted of raping and killing his girlfriend, Alyssa Kearns, | 他被判强奸和杀害了他女朋友,Alyssa Kearns |
[07:04] | then killing her mother. | 然后还杀了她妈妈 |
[07:07] | This is them. | 这是她们 |
[07:12] | And this happened when? | 什么时候的事? |
[07:13] | In 1988, he’s been in prison 12 years. | 1988年,他已经入狱12年了 |
[07:18] | The evidence was one eyewitness who placed him at the scene, | 证据是一个目击证人把他钉在现场 |
[07:22] | plus a lying jail house informant | 加之一个撒谎的监狱告密者 |
[07:24] | who made up a story about Stuart confessing. | 编了一个Stuart忏悔的故事 |
[07:26] | He never did. | 他根本没有做过 |
[07:27] | And what is your son’s story? | 你儿子怎么讲的? |
[07:28] | That he was out hunting. | 他外出打猎 |
[07:30] | And it’s not a story. | 这不是编的 |
[07:31] | He was with my husband, | 他和我丈夫一起去的 |
[07:32] | who the police just thought was trying to cover for him. | 警察只是认为他是试图替儿子掩盖 |
[07:35] | My husband has since passed away. | 我丈夫自此就去世了 |
[07:38] | Any DNA? | DNA方面呢? |
[07:40] | Stuart’s blood type matched whoever did it. | 不管是谁做的Stuart的血型匹配测试 |
[07:42] | That’s a problem. | 那都存在问题 |
[07:43] | They didn’t do full DNA analysis back then. | 他们那之后没有做完整的DNA分析 |
[07:46] | Never? | 从未? |
[07:47] | In 1992 we finally had it done, | 1992年我们最终做完了 |
[07:50] | unfortunately the tests proved inconclusive. | 不幸的是,结果是不确定 |
[07:53] | We went to try again in 95, | 我们在1995年再次尝试 |
[07:56] | but by then the rape kit had either been lost or destroyed. | 但到那时,强奸证物不是丢失了就是损坏了 |
[08:01] | What is his appellate lawyer telling you? | 那是他的上诉律师告诉你的? |
[08:04] | That he’s done all he can do. | 他说他做了所有能做的 |
[08:10] | You took it? | 你接了? |
[08:10] | I agreed to meet with her son and the DA if I can. | 我同意去见他儿子,如果可能的话见一下检察官 |
[08:13] | In Pennsylvania. | 在宾夕法尼亚 |
[08:15] | It’s a hour and a half flight. | 一个半小时航程 |
[08:16] | I’m there and back in a day. | 我一天往返 |
[08:17] | And you know, who knows, if he really is innocent… | 你懂的,如果他真是无辜的。。。谁知道呢 |
[08:21] | God bless you Eleanor. | 上帝保佑你,Eleanor |
[08:23] | If I had your heart. | 如果我有你那好心肠 |
[08:24] | You’d have a heart. | 你会有一颗心的 |
[08:25] | Oh, funny | 噢,你够损的 |
[08:26] | Ok, look, Can I ask you something | 好了,我能问你点事吗 |
[08:29] | and I’m not trying to pick a fight here , I promise. | 而且我没打算在这里挑事,我保证 |
[08:33] | Why not plead out on manslaughter. | 何不认了过失杀人罪呢 |
[08:35] | Grieving husband, | 悲情丈夫 |
[08:36] | and I don’t believe you really believe this guy is a danger to society. | 我也不相信你真的认为这家伙有害社会 |
[08:39] | He does time… | 让他坐点牢。。。 |
[08:41] | He shot her in the head. | 他冲她脑袋开枪 |
[08:43] | Is it the method then? The fact that he used a gun? | 那就是因为方式问题了?他用了枪? |
[08:46] | Partly, yes. | 某种程度上,是的 |
[08:48] | So if he used a needle | 那么如果他用针头 |
[08:50] | and injected her with something to put her to sleep | 给她注射点什么使她睡过去 |
[08:52] | then you would agree to manslaughter. | 你就会同意给他过失杀人? |
[08:55] | No, seems even less like manslaughter. | 不,似乎更不像过失杀人 |
[08:58] | You put dogs to sleep not people. | 你可以给狗做安乐,但人不行 |
[09:00] | Ok, so agreed it’s a crime. | 好吧,我承认这是一个犯罪 |
[09:01] | But my question goes to why murder two, why not manslaughter? | 但我的问题是说为什么指控二级谋杀,何不过失杀人呢? |
[09:06] | Let me ask you a question. | 让我问你一个问题吧 |
[09:08] | You are against the death penalty | 你是反对死刑的 |
[09:09] | you say it’s barbaric. | 你说那是野蛮的 |
[09:10] | It’s okay to put sick people to death | 把病人弄死没事 |
[09:12] | but not convicted murderers? | 定罪的杀人犯就不行? |
[09:13] | No, those are two very different things | 不,这是完全不同的两件事 |
[09:15] | No they are not. | 不,它们是一回事 |
[09:16] | Lethal injections in both cases. | 两种情况下都是致死的注射 |
[09:18] | Look, there is a very big difference | 你看,处决一个健康人和 |
[09:20] | between executing a healthy person | 终结一个人的痛苦相比 |
[09:22] | and allowing a terminal one in pain to die. | 是完全不同的 |
[09:24] | Mrs. Simpson wasn’t allowed to die | Simpson夫人不应被允许这样死去 |
[09:26] | she had a bullet pumped into her head. | 她被一个子弹嘣进脑袋里 |
[09:28] | She wanted to die. | 她希望死去 |
[09:29] | Oh, is that the test, whether she wants to die. | 哦,那是个测试,看看她是否想死? |
[09:33] | Cause a lot of inmates on death row, they want to die. | 基于很多死囚室里的囚犯也想死的缘故 |
[09:35] | You support killing them? | 你支持宰了他们吗? |
[09:37] | I’m talking about a dying woman in extreme… | 我们在谈的是一个处于极端情况下垂死女人。。。 |
[09:39] | Please don’t shake your fork at me. | 别冲着晃你那叉子 |
[09:40] | What about the guy with a brain tumor | 如果患有脑瘤的人该怎么样? |
[09:42] | who is got four to six months to live? | 他还可以活四到六个月 |
[09:44] | He’s not suffering, but he doesn’t want it to ever get to that point | 他并不痛苦,但是他不想等到死的那一天 |
[09:47] | so he’d rather die now. | 所以他还不如现在死 |
[09:48] | Is it okay to kill him if he wants? | 如他所愿杀了他行吗? |
[09:49] | Well I think we need to reevaluate… | 好吧我认为我们需要再评估。。。 |
[09:51] | How about the ones with six months to live? | 如果只能活六个月的人该如何? |
[09:52] | I’m not saying it’s okay to kill anybody, I’m only say…. | 我没说杀人没问题,我只是说。。。 |
[09:54] | Okay, well fine. | 好了,非常好 |
[09:55] | You make a list of who it’s okay to kill and who its not, all right?? | 那你列个单子,谁可以杀,谁不能杀,好吗? |
[09:57] | Oh, Helen, Stop it. | 噢,Helen,打住吧 |
[10:00] | This woman was in extreme agony | 这个女人处于极端的痛苦中 |
[10:01] | her husband was trying to spare her some suffering | 她的丈夫试图使她免遭痛苦 |
[10:04] | and you go after him like he’s some monster. | 但你视其为恶魔一样地追逐他 |
[10:06] | I’m suppose to listen to you | 我想听你说 |
[10:07] | on who’s a sympathetic defendant and who’s not? | 谁是用同情心的被告,谁又不是? |
[10:10] | Forgive me if I don’t trust your damn judgement | 如果我不相信你那该死的判断力的话,请原谅我 |
[10:12] | and thank you for allowing me to enjoy my supper. | 谢谢你允许我享用我的晚餐! |
[10:21] | I was just making conversation. | 我只是聊聊天 |
[10:26] | Last week she had been in unbearable pain. | 最后这周,她陷入无法忍受的痛苦中 |
[10:33] | She was tough, Sally, | 她很坚强,Sally |
[10:37] | she had endured a year of massive chemotherapy treatments. | 她忍受了一年的重度化疗 |
[10:42] | Lets talk about the very last day. | 让我们来谈一下最后一天 |
[10:46] | She just couldn’t take it anymore. | 她再也不能承受了 |
[10:48] | We then started the morphine with the valium, | 我们然后开始给她吗啡与安定 |
[10:54] | Mrs. Raymonds said she would probably go into a coma | Raymonds夫人说她可能会陷入昏迷 |
[10:57] | and die in a day or two. | 在一到两天内去世 |
[11:00] | The pain wouldn’t go away. | 但疼痛不会消失 |
[11:03] | What did you do? | 你做了什么? |
[11:06] | I asked Mrs. Raymonds to increase the morphine. | 我要求Raymonds夫人增加吗啡的剂量 |
[11:09] | She said she didn’t want to throw her into seizures | 她说她不想促使她癫痫发作 |
[11:11] | because that would be more pain. | 因为那样会更加痛苦 |
[11:14] | So I asked her to leave the room. | 于是我要求她离开房间 |
[11:18] | Then what happened | 然后呢 |
[11:19] | I went to my closet, | 我去壁橱 |
[11:22] | retrieved my revolver from the safe | 从保险柜里取出左轮手枪 |
[11:27] | and… | 而且。。。 |
[11:29] | I … | 我。。。 |
[11:34] | ended it. | 结束了这一切 |
[11:38] | She would have likely been dead in a day, why? | 她可能多半一天内就死了,为什么你? |
[11:42] | I wasn’t going to let her suffer for another second. | 我不打算让她再多受一秒钟的折磨 |
[11:48] | For two years, they cut out half her insides | 两年了,他们摘除了她一半的内脏 |
[11:55] | filled her with chemicals. | 用各种化学药品填满了她 |
[11:57] | And the pain. | 这痛苦 |
[12:00] | Not another minute, not another second, | 不要再多一分钟,多一秒 |
[12:06] | not another second… | 不要再多一秒。。。 |
[12:43] | I have a meeting with the District Attorney in a little over an hour, | 一个多小时后,我和检察官有个会议 |
[12:45] | so I read your statements | 我读了你的陈述 |
[12:47] | but I’d like to hear in person your account of things. | 但我想亲自听一下你对这件事的叙述 |
[12:49] | Okay, it’s pretty simple. | 好的,很简单 |
[12:53] | I was there that day because I needed to see her. | 我当天去过那里,因为我需要见她 |
[12:55] | Why? | 为什么? |
[12:56] | We argued earlier that week. | 我们在那一周早些时候争吵过 |
[12:58] | She wasn’t returning my calls. | 我不回我电话 |
[13:00] | She said we needed to take a break so I left. | 她说我们需要分开一段时间,于是我就离开了 |
[13:04] | That night I went hunting with my dad, | 那晚我和我爸爸去打猎了 |
[13:07] | the next day the police showed up. | 第二天警察出现了 |
[13:09] | Did you make love to Alyssa that afternoon? | 你那天下午和Alyssa做爱了吗? |
[13:11] | No. | 没有 |
[13:12] | And did you see her mother? | 你看见她妈妈了吗? |
[13:15] | No, not that day. | 没有,那天没看见 |
[13:23] | Do we have a chance? | 我们有机会吗? |
[13:32] | When a patient reaches stage four of ovarian cancer, it’s pretty bleak. | 当一个病人到达卵巢癌的第四阶段时,这是相当绝望的 |
[13:36] | The odds of survival are tougher, yes | 生存的几率是渺茫的,是的 |
[13:38] | But you were generally encouraging to Mrs. Simpson, | 但是通常情况下你还是鼓励Simpson夫人 |
[13:41] | weren’t you, doctor? | 不是吗?医生 |
[13:42] | I don’t know if I was optimistic | 我不知道我是否乐观 |
[13:43] | But you certainly held out the hope that the chemo treatments, | 但你肯定寄希望于化疗 |
[13:45] | her pushing fluids plus the two surgeries to debulk the cancer, | 给她增加了两次外科注射手术以便使肿瘤降级 |
[13:48] | it could maybe save her. | 那也许可以救她 |
[13:50] | That was the best chance | 那是最好的机会 |
[13:51] | But there never was any real chance of saving Mrs. Simpson’s life, | 但从来没有真正的机会能挽救Simpson夫人的生命 |
[13:56] | was there, Dr. Sheehans? | 这是事实吗?Sheehans医生 |
[13:57] | Objection, Mrs. Simpson’s oncologist has nothing to do with what transpired. | 反对,Simpson夫人的肿瘤医生 与实际发生了什么事无关 |
[14:02] | It is my contention that this doctor contributed to Mrs. Simpson’s suffering. | 我的论点是这个医生促成了Simpson夫人的痛苦 |
[14:05] | That goes to my client’s state of mind. | 那导致了我的委托人的心理状态 |
[14:07] | Hold on here… | 在这里打住吧。。。 |
[14:08] | Scott Simpson was the only one to help his wife. | Scott Simpson是唯一一个帮助他妻子的人 |
[14:10] | The doctors weren’t there in the end. | 医生最后不在现场 |
[14:12] | This witness is not relevant to the issue before this court. | 这个证人在本庭不具有和结果的关联性 |
[14:15] | I will show relevance. | 我会展现其关联性的 |
[14:16] | You are shut down here. | 你在这里打住 |
[14:17] | Step down, doctor. | 离席吧,医生 |
[14:19] | Call your next witness. | 传唤下一个证人 |
[14:23] | The defense calls Dr. Alan Price. | 辩方传唤Alan Price医生 |
[14:25] | Objection. | 反对 |
[14:26] | Step up. | 上前 |
[14:33] | Offer of proof. | 举证 |
[14:34] | Dr. Price is the surgeon who did the debulking procedures. | Price医生是实施肿瘤降级手术的外科医生 |
[14:38] | Denied. This witness is not relevant. | 驳回,这个证人不具备相关性 |
[14:40] | Your honor. | 法官大人 |
[14:41] | I would remind counsel that it is your client | 我要提醒律师你,这是你的委托人 |
[14:43] | that is on trial here, | 在这里受审 |
[14:44] | not the doctors who treated his wife | 而不是治疗他夫人的医生们 |
[14:46] | My client should be allowed to put on a defense | 我的委托人应该被允许增加一项辩护 |
[14:49] | You are not putting on this one. | 你不能增加这一个 |
[14:51] | Who else have you got? | 还有别的吗? |
[14:53] | Defense rests, your honor. | 辩方举证结束,法官大人 |
[14:58] | Defense rests. | 辩方举证结束 |
[15:05] | As I told Mrs. Donovan, | 正如我告诉Donovan太太的 |
[15:07] | we don’t know what became of the rape kit. | 我们不清楚强奸有关证物后来如何了 |
[15:08] | Oh please. | 哦,才怪。。。 |
[15:10] | Do you know where it could have become loss? | 你知道会是在哪里遗失的吗? |
[15:12] | It should be in the police’s evidence room, | 应该是在警局的证物室里 |
[15:14] | if not there, I’d try the lab, | 如果不在那里,我会试着去实验室找 |
[15:16] | barring that… | 除此之外。。。 |
[15:17] | Why aren’t you trying? | 你为什么没有去试试? |
[15:18] | Why are you so blasé about this? | 你为什么对此这么厌烦? |
[15:20] | Mrs. Donovan, I was kind enough to grant you this meeting. | Donovan太太,我好心好意同意这次会谈的 |
[15:23] | You were kind enough to prosecute | 你好心好意起诉 |
[15:26] | and convict my son of a crime he didn’t commit. | 给我儿子定下他没有犯过的罪 |
[15:28] | I’m not going to entertain this. | 我可不想扯这些 |
[15:29] | All right | 好了 |
[15:33] | Would you support me in my efforts 336 00:15:33,985 –> 00:15:36,322 in trying to determine where the rape kit could have gone. | 你愿意协助我 努力去找到强奸相关证物吗? |
[15:36] | Of course, we are not trying to hide anything here. | 当然,我们在这里没有企图隐藏任何东西 |
[15:39] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[15:39] | But Ms. Frutt, lets be clear, | 但是Frutt女士,我们说清楚 |
[15:41] | while I support your efforts to retrieve lost evidence | 虽然我支持你努力找回丢失的证据 |
[15:44] | I totally oppose the idea of this case being reopened. | 但我完全反对重审此案的想法 |
[15:47] | Mr. Donovan was rightly convicted of a double homicide. | Donovan先生被定罪双重谋杀案是无疑的 |
[15:50] | He did not commit that crime! | 他没有犯那罪! |
[15:52] | All right… | 好了。。。 |
[15:56] | I appreciate you making the call. | 我感谢你打电话联系 |
[15:59] | Mary, let’s go. | Mary,我们走吧 |
[16:04] | Look, Mary, here is the deal. | 要知道,Mary,这是交易 |
[16:05] | If we are going to make any progress on this, | 如果我们要在这里取得任何进展 |
[16:07] | we are going to need a modicum of cooperation from the police | 我们将需要警察方面的一点配合 |
[16:10] | and that is not going to happen with you antagonizing them. | 而你对他们采取敌对态度的话,这些都不会有了 |
[16:12] | That man is never going to help and I’ll tell you why. | 我告诉你为什么那人不会提供帮助的 |
[16:15] | His boss is running on a death penalty platform. | 他的上司支持推动死刑平台体制 |
[16:17] | Stuart’s execution is the first one scheduled in a year. | Stuart的处决是今年计划上的第一个 |
[16:21] | Politics-wise they need this to happen | 政治因素使他们需要执行死刑 |
[16:24] | They very well could have knowingly destroyed that rape kit. | 他们很可能是故意毁掉了强奸相关证物 |
[16:27] | And forgive my French, | 请原谅我的法语 |
[16:29] | but that man is an ass who has capable of concealing evidence. | 但是那个人是个能隐藏证据的蠢驴 |
[16:32] | Mary, I don’t want you to antagonize them. | Mary,我不希望你和他们对抗 |
[16:49] | How’s it going? | 事情进行得怎么样? |
[16:55] | That well. | 看来不错 |
[16:56] | He tried calling the woman’s doctors. | 他试图传唤那女人的医生 |
[16:58] | Why? | 为什么? |
[17:00] | Good question. | 问得好 |
[17:13] | Since I’m second chair, | 既然我是次席 |
[17:15] | I thought maybe you’d let me in on the strategy. | 我想也许你让我加入是处于策略考虑 |
[17:19] | That strategy is simple. | 策略很简单 |
[17:20] | Scott Simpson endured two years of watching his wife suffer. | 面对他妻子的痛苦,Scott Simpson两年来历尽煎熬 |
[17:24] | What does that have to do with the doctors that treated her. | 这都是她的医生对她的治疗导致的 |
[17:27] | I was bringing them in to establish the suffering. | 我在把她的痛苦归咎于她的医生们 |
[17:29] | No, you weren’t, Bobby, | 不,你不是,Bobby |
[17:33] | you put Dr. Shields up there to attack him. | 你把Shields医生推到证人席上进行攻击 |
[17:36] | Helen isn’t the only one personalizing this. | Helen不是唯一一个在这事上有个人情绪的 |
[17:39] | What is going on with you? | 你怎么了? |
[17:41] | Lindsay, we have no defense, okay. | Lindsay,我们没有辩护理由了,好不好 |
[17:44] | I have to convey whatever Scott Simpson went through, | 我必须要把Scott Simpson的痛苦经历描绘出来 |
[17:47] | what his wife went through. | 还有他的妻子所经历的 |
[17:48] | It’s all about building up enough sympathy | 这是为了博得足够的同情 |
[17:50] | so that the jury feel compelled to ignore the law. | 以至于陪审团产生压力以忽视法理 |
[17:53] | If that is what you were trying to do | 这就是我们试图达到的 |
[17:56] | then you went way off course. | 于是你就偏离了航向 |
[17:59] | Look at me. | 听我说 |
[18:03] | You were saying how the doctor’s weren’t there at the end. | 你说医生最后一刻不在现场 |
[18:06] | Now, I know that | 现在,我知道那事 |
[18:09] | you had to turn the respirator off on your mother. | 你被迫要关掉你母亲的呼吸机 |
[18:11] | It isn’t about that. | 跟那无关 |
[18:14] | Why did it happen like that? | 为什么会那样? |
[18:18] | How was it that you had to turn it off? | 到底怎么了,你要去关掉呼吸机? |
[18:29] | The hospitals wouldn’t do it back then. | 当年医院不愿那么做 |
[18:34] | At least the hospital that she was in, | 至少我妈妈住的那个医院是 |
[18:39] | it was a Catholic hospital. | 它是一个天主教医院 |
[18:46] | And they just left the family alone with the patient. | 他们就只留下患者的家属 |
[18:50] | They showed us the button | 他们告知我们按钮在哪里 |
[18:54] | and the doctors, nurses | 医生,护士 |
[18:56] | they all left the room, | 都离开房间 |
[18:57] | leaving just me and my dad with… | 只留下我和我父亲。。。 |
[19:01] | Why didn’t your dad do it? | 你父亲为什么不去做? |
[19:02] | He couldn’t. | 他做不到 |
[19:05] | My father couldn’t bring himself to hit that button, | 我父亲无法让自己去按那个按钮 |
[19:08] | even though he knew. | 即使他知道 |
[19:12] | So, | 所以 |
[19:17] | he asked me if I would do it, | 他问我是否可以 |
[19:23] | while those doctors were outside comparing notes | 当医生们在外面交流有关 |
[19:26] | on how well the patient tolerated this chemical versus that one, | 哪一个患者接受化疗的效果更好的经验时 |
[19:30] | a fifteen year old kid was left inside | 一个15岁的孩子留在里面 |
[19:39] | to turn off his mother’s respirator… | 关掉他妈妈的呼吸机。。。 |
[19:47] | Now, you hate them. | 现在,你恨他们 |
[19:48] | Yeah, yeah I do. | 嗯,是的,我是 |
[19:53] | Okay, | 好吧 |
[19:57] | but we have a murder trial here | 但我们面对一个谋杀审判 |
[20:01] | and our client he needs you to try this case | 而且我们的委托人需要你全力以赴 |
[20:07] | and this case alone. | 一个独立的案子 |
[20:08] | I’m doing that | 我正在努力 |
[20:09] | No, you are not, Bobby. | 不,你没有,bobby |
[20:18] | Maybe, I should close. | 也许,应该让我来做结案陈词 |
[20:24] | I’ll close. | 我来做 |
[20:33] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[20:34] | Oh, Don’t you start. | 噢,你要干嘛 |
[20:35] | Saying “hey’’ is starting? | 说声“嗨”就是要干嘛吗? |
[20:37] | Well it depends. | 好吧,这要看。。。 |
[20:37] | Have you come to pick out bridesmaid dresses? | 你是来挑选伴娘装的吗? |
[20:45] | What, have you come to distract me from working on my closing? | 怎么了,你是来让我从准备结案陈词工作上分心的吗? |
[20:49] | Helen, this case can’t be a situation | Helen,这案子不能陷入 |
[20:52] | where your office is pressuring you to get a murder two. | 因为检察院给你施压而定为二级谋杀罪的局面 |
[20:55] | Why not take the manslaughter? | 为什么不能接受过失杀人? |
[20:57] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[20:59] | What do you mean ‘you don’t know? | 你不知道,这是什么意思? |
[21:00] | That’s not really an answer. | 这可不算一个回答 |
[21:03] | I don’t know. | 我真不知道 |
[21:11] | This is where you keep the rape kits? | 这里就是你们保存强奸证物的地方? |
[21:13] | Yes, ma’am. | 是,夫人 |
[21:13] | Some of the old ones. | 一些旧证物 |
[21:15] | Going back how far? | 有多旧? |
[21:16] | That I couldn’t tell you. | 这我可没法告诉你 |
[21:20] | Donovan Stuart, | Donovan Stuart, |
[21:23] | this should be it. | 这大概就是 |
[21:31] | It’s not in there. | 不在这里 |
[21:32] | Well, we figured it wouldn’t be in there. | 好吧,我估计就不在这里 |
[21:33] | That would have been a little too easy. | 要不也太容易了 |
[21:36] | So if it’s not here, | 那么如果不在这里 |
[21:38] | where else might it possibly be? | 可能会在别的什么地方? |
[21:39] | How many different people handle these things? | 有多少人经手过此事? |
[21:41] | This is just storage. | 这里就是个储藏室 |
[21:42] | Chained up custody is all documented went to the lab in 92 | 监管链信息上标准的都是92年送去了实验室 |
[21:46] | and there is no documentation that it ever came back. | 没有标注说明曾被送回来过 |
[21:49] | Well, could it still be at the lab? | 好吧,那可能还在实验室吗? |
[21:51] | They really don’t have storage capacity, | 他们真没有存储的空间 |
[21:52] | plus we called and they say they don’t have it, | 加之我们问过,他们说他们没有 |
[21:54] | that means it is most likely destroyed | 这意味着多半是毁掉了 |
[21:56] | Where is this lab? | 实验室在哪里? |
[21:58] | The address is on the paper | 地址写在纸上 |
[22:01] | Ok. | 好的 |
[22:02] | Thank you very much, officer. | 十分感谢,警官 |
[22:11] | It’s the hypocrisy of it all that gets me. | 这一切都让我感到虚伪 |
[22:15] | We are already helping patients die. | 我们已经在帮助病人死亡 |
[22:18] | We make these morphine valium cocktails | 我们使用了吗非和安定的混合剂 |
[22:22] | and in the end it causes them to go into a coma and die. | 而且最终那会导致病人的昏迷和死亡 |
[22:26] | Forget the crap about pain management | 忘记那些有关疼痛管理的废话吧 |
[22:29] | that is just a politically correct euphemism. | 那无非是一种不得罪人的委婉说法 |
[22:32] | It’s to hasten the patient’s death. | 这实际就是加速病人死亡 |
[22:37] | So, what are we talking about. | 那么,我们在讨论什么? |
[22:38] | The so-called victim in this crime was going to die within 48 hours. | 本案中所谓的受害人在48小时内会死亡 |
[22:43] | The so-called victim’s death was already being hastened medically | 所谓的受害人的死亡已经被通过医学手段加速了 |
[22:46] | and my client hastened it further | 但我的委托人进一步地使其加速 |
[22:50] | and he’s on trial for murder, | 于是他就被当成谋杀犯接受审判 |
[22:52] | that’s a joke. | 真是个笑话 |
[22:54] | We can’t give them a quick acting drug, | 我们不能给他们一种速效药丸 |
[22:58] | because that would seem to much like we are killing them, | 因为这似乎更像是我们杀了他们 |
[23:01] | so we give them a slow acting drug, | 所以我们给他们一种慢性的药丸 |
[23:03] | let it take a day or so and we call it pain management. | 让这拖上一天于是我们就可以称之为“疼痛管理” |
[23:06] | That is a joke. | 这是一个笑话 |
[23:08] | It would be funny, | 那倒是挺有趣的, |
[23:09] | if it weren’t for the fact | 如果事实上 |
[23:11] | that the patient often suffers excruciating agony in the meantime, | 病人不是反而在此期间常常要遭受极度痛苦的话。 |
[23:17] | which is exactly what was happening in this case. | 但这就是本案中实际发生的 |
[23:21] | Everybody in this room knows | 这个房间里的每个人都知道 |
[23:23] | if the doctor’s could have ended Sally Simpson’s pain quickly and mercifully, | 如果医生能迅速和仁慈地结束Sally Simpson的生命的话 |
[23:28] | Scott Simpson would have never picked up that gun. | Scott Simpson不会去拿出那把枪的 |
[23:33] | But here we are | 但是我们在这里 |
[23:36] | trying to take away his life, | 试图去剥夺他的生活 |
[23:40] | trying to take him from his children, | 试图把他从他的孩子们身边夺走 |
[23:42] | trying to brand him a murderer. | 试图去给他烙上凶手的印记 |
[23:48] | More than anything, | 至关重要的是 |
[23:49] | the law is suppose to protect the weakest members of our society. | 法律的目的是为了保护社会中的弱者 |
[23:53] | The law wasn’t there in the end for Sally Simpson, | 但法律并没有在Sally Simpson的临终时站在那里 |
[23:57] | the doctors weren’t there in the end | 医生们也不在那里 |
[24:01] | after they cut out half her insides, | 在他们切除了她一半的内脏 |
[24:03] | pumping her full of drugs, | 给她灌满药物 |
[24:05] | prolonging her pain, | 延长了她的疼痛 |
[24:06] | causing it, | 导致这一切之后 |
[24:07] | they weren’t there in the end | 他们最后却不在那里 |
[24:08] | only I… | 只有我在。。。 |
[24:11] | only my client, Scott Simpson, | 只有我的委托人,Scott Simpson, |
[24:16] | only he was there in the end | 只有他最后在那里 |
[24:22] | and he ended his wife’s suffering. | 是他结束了他妻子的苦难 |
[24:31] | He didn’t stop a life, | 他结束的不是一条生命 |
[24:34] | he stopped pain | 他终结了痛苦 |
[24:40] | and they are asking you to call him a murderer. | 而他们却要求你们把他称为谋杀犯 |
[24:49] | First, there is a difference, ladies and gentlemen | 女士们先生们,首先, |
[24:52] | between controlling pain with a dosage of medicine | 用药物剂量来抑制疼痛虽然这可预见地会导致死亡 |
[24:56] | that could foreseeably cause death and simply killing someone. | 和简单地杀掉某个人,是存在区别的 |
[25:00] | Maybe in the end it amounts to a small distinction, | 也许最终它们之间的区别并不大 |
[25:04] | but it is one. | 但这是一个区别 |
[25:05] | Doctors do not kill to kill. | 医生们不是为杀人而去杀 |
[25:08] | Even if they did, as Mr. Donnell contends, | 即使他们做了,正如Donnell所主张的 |
[25:12] | it is still illegal. | 这也是违法的 |
[25:13] | Second, patient was already dying, | 其次,患者已经濒于垂死 |
[25:17] | Mr. Simpson just hastened it further. | Simpson先生只是进一步加速其死亡 |
[25:21] | Please, where do we draw the line? | 拜托,我们在哪里划出这条分界线? |
[25:24] | When do we say death is so close it becomes okay to kill? | 在何时我们可以说离死亡足够近了可以杀了没事? |
[25:29] | Certainly if a prisoner on death row was murdered | 如果一个在死囚室里的囚犯 |
[25:35] | the day before his scheduled execution, | 在他临刑的前一天谋杀了 |
[25:37] | we would hold the killer accountable. | 我们无疑是有责任抓住凶手 |
[25:40] | Third, Mrs. Simpson was suffering, | 第三,Simpson夫人在遭受苦难 |
[25:47] | I certainly don’t dispute that, | 我对此毫无质疑 |
[25:49] | but I definitely take issue with the suggestion | 但是我绝对反对这个意见,即 |
[25:54] | that when a person is in enough misery | 当一个人足够痛苦的时候 |
[25:57] | it becomes permissible to take out a gun and shoot her in the head. | 给她脑袋上来一枪是可以被允许的 |
[26:01] | Fourth, the law: | 第四点,法律 |
[26:03] | When a person intentionally takes the life of another human being | 当一个人蓄意夺走另一个人的生命 |
[26:09] | it’s murder. | 这是谋杀 |
[26:11] | He can be loving, sympathetic, even heroic | 如果你们非常愿意去往那方面想的话 |
[26:16] | if you are so inclined to find him that way, | 他可以被认为有爱心,有同情心,甚至是有英雄气概 |
[26:20] | but if he intentionally takes the life | 但是如果他以正当防卫 |
[26:23] | of another human being acts in self defense, | 或者精神失常的理由 |
[26:25] | or diminished mental capacity, | 蓄意夺去别人的生命的话 |
[26:27] | it is murder. | 这就是谋杀 |
[26:30] | That is what we have here. | 这就是我们在这里所面对的 |
[26:32] | Now the arguments about the extenuating circumstances, | 现在的争论是关于情有可原 |
[26:36] | take that up at sentencing when it is time for leniency. | 量刑的时候可以宽大处理 |
[26:39] | But here, the question is | 但是,当下的问题是 |
[26:42] | did he commit a crime. | 他犯罪了吗? |
[26:44] | I suppose you can choose to ignore your duty. | 我想你们能选择无视你们的义务 |
[26:48] | You can do here exactly what Mr. Simpson did | 你们能在这里做Simpson先生所做的那样 |
[26:52] | and take the law into your hands. | 无视法律 |
[26:54] | Would I understand, yes. | 我能理解吗。能 |
[26:56] | Would it make you popular in the public’s eye, | 这会使你们受到公众欢迎吗? |
[26:58] | I bet it would. | 我赌它会的 |
[26:59] | Would it make you right? | 这样做是正确的吗? |
[27:03] | You know the answer to that. | 你们知道答案是什么 |
[27:13] | This isn’t a forum for policy, | 这不是一个政策讨论会 |
[27:16] | but since Mr. Donnell argued it, I agree. | 但是既然 Donnell先生提到了,我同意 |
[27:22] | The law is designed to protect its weakest member, | 法律是被设计用来保护弱小的 |
[27:27] | that would include the sick, the aged, the dying. | 大概包括病人、老人、垂死的人 |
[27:32] | Just consider the potential for abuse | 如果我们任由我们自己 |
[27:35] | if we let ourselves become open to the idea | 赞同某些情况下拔出枪把某人放倒是可以的这种观点 |
[27:41] | that sometimes its okay to take out a gun and put somebody down. | 那就考虑一下其被滥用的可能性吧 |
[27:57] | Your honor, chambers. | 法官大人,内庭商议 |
[28:00] | What’s up? | 怎么了? |
[28:01] | I want you to instruct the jury that a conviction means a life sentence. | 我希望你告知陪审团如果定罪就意味着终身监禁 |
[28:05] | What? | 什么? |
[28:05] | She argued sentencing in her closing. | 她在结案陈词中提出了量刑问题 |
[28:07] | I did not | 我没有 |
[28:07] | You said leniency. | 你说了“宽大处理” |
[28:08] | That implied to the jury that you could be lenient, | 那暗示陪审团你在量刑时可以宽大处理 |
[28:10] | when that is not the case. | 如果本案没有宽大处理的话 |
[28:11] | A conviction on murder two means life. | 定罪为二级谋杀意味着终身监禁 |
[28:13] | What do you want me to do? | 你要我怎么办? |
[28:14] | Tell them that. He would be looking at life. | 告诉陪审团,他会被判终身监禁 |
[28:16] | Forget it. | 拉倒吧 |
[28:17] | You have no discretion to be lenient | 你没有自行决定权力去宽大处理量刑 |
[28:19] | and right now the jury thinks you do. | 但现在陪审团认为你会这么做 |
[28:20] | I think you are overreacting. | 我觉得你反应过度了。 |
[28:21] | She knew what she was doing. | 她自己心里清楚 |
[28:23] | Don’t be accusing me. | 别指责我 |
[28:24] | It bordered on prosecutorial misconduct! | 这涉嫌检察官的不端行为! |
[28:25] | Hey, I stuck to the law. You argued jury nullification. | 嘿,我坚持法理,而你意图说服陪审团拒认 |
[28:28] | You cannot let that jury deliberate under the false impression | 你不能让陪审团带着我的客户可能被轻判的错误印象 |
[28:31] | that my client might get a lighter sentence. | 进行思考商议 |
[28:33] | There will be no further talk on sentencing. | 再也不许有关于量刑的言论 |
[28:35] | I’m certainly not going to give instruction on it. | 我绝不打算就此进行指示 |
[28:37] | It was a deliberate act of deception! | 这是一个蓄意的骗局! |
[28:38] | It was not. How could you… | 这不是,你怎么能。。。 |
[28:40] | You’re a liar! | 你是个骗子 |
[28:40] | Hey! | 嘿 |
[28:41] | Helen! | Helen |
[28:43] | I’ll hold you both in contempt! | 我鄙视你们两个! |
[28:47] | You want to fight the fight in the courtroom, fine. | 你们想在法庭上干架,那就来吧 |
[28:50] | I will not accept that kind of personal attack. | 我不会容忍这种人身攻击 |
[29:06] | You were totally out of line. | 你完全出格了 |
[29:07] | She said leniency, you heard it! | 她说了宽大处理,你听到了! |
[29:09] | I’m talking about calling her a liar. | 我在说你骂她是个骗子 |
[29:12] | Bobby, the law is totally on Helen’s side here. | Bobby,法理是完全站在Helen那一边的 |
[29:14] | Whose kidding who? | 她骗谁了? |
[29:15] | Yes, she could have gone manslaughter, | 是的,她可能同意过失杀人 |
[29:17] | which I think she should have. | 我们也认为她会 |
[29:18] | but the facts easily support murder two. | 但是事实很容易支持二级谋杀 |
[29:20] | So, I would be a murderer then. | 那么,我也就是一个谋杀犯了 |
[29:23] | Is that what you are saying? | 你就是要说这个吗? |
[29:24] | Of course I’m not saying that. | 我当然没有说了 |
[29:27] | Is that what is going on here, | 刚才在那里是怎么回事 |
[29:31] | you’re defending yourself? | 你在为自己辩护? |
[29:36] | My God, | 天呀 |
[29:40] | have you been carrying that around? | 你总是带着这些想法吗? |
[29:43] | You killed your mother? | 你杀了你的妈妈? |
[29:45] | I don’t think that. You said it. | 我没有那样说,你说的 |
[29:46] | I didn’t say it. It came out of you. | 我没有说,这来自于你 |
[29:49] | Bobby? Bobby? | |
[29:54] | Bobby? bobby? | |
[30:03] | Look, I understand your problem, | 好吧,我理解你的难处 |
[30:04] | but we send all samples back to the evidence locker. | 但是我们把所有样品送回物证室了 |
[30:06] | There is very limited storage capacity here. | 这里的存储空间很有限 |
[30:08] | We don’t hang on to rape kits. | 我们没有留存强奸证物 |
[30:10] | But the police don’t have any records of you returning the rape kit on Donovan. | 但是警方没有任何关于你归还Donovan强奸证物的记录。 |
[30:13] | Well, we have a record of sending it back to them | 好吧,可我们有一个送还给他们的记录 |
[30:14] | I could show it to you, | 我可以给你看 |
[30:15] | it’s right here. | 这就是 |
[30:15] | Well, if you wrote it down. | 好的,如果你曾记录了 |
[30:17] | Can you tell me who you used as a messenger service? | 你能告诉我你们的通信服务通过谁? |
[30:20] | We don’t use services it presents chain of custody problems. | 我们不用这种服务因为出过问题 |
[30:23] | So people here would’ve delivered it directly to the police? | 所以你们这里的人都是把物品直接送给警察? |
[30:25] | Yes. | 是的 |
[30:26] | So basically you are saying it got lost there; | 那么差不多就是说,你说在那里弄丢的 |
[30:28] | they are saying it got lost here. | 他们说这在你这里弄丢的 |
[30:30] | Well, if I were a betting man I’d say it got lost there. | 嗯,如果让我睹一次的话,我会说在那里丢的 |
[30:34] | Okay, does Jack Semler still work here? | 好吧,Jack Semler还在这里工作吗? |
[30:37] | Who? | 谁? |
[30:38] | Jack Semler, he was the technician who did the testing back in 92. | Jack Semler,他是92年做测试的技师 |
[30:42] | Can I see your paperwork? | 我能看一下你的笔记吗? |
[30:43] | Yeah, sure. | 好的,没问题 |
[30:46] | Yeah, there’s been a mistake here. | 嗯,这里出错了 |
[30:48] | What kind of mistake? | 什么样的错误? |
[30:49] | We didn’t do this testing. | 我们没有做过这样的测试 |
[30:51] | What? | 什么? |
[30:51] | Jack Semler works for a private lab | Jack Semler为一家私人实验室工作 |
[30:53] | we sometimes hire out when we are swamped here. | 我们忙得不可开交的时候,我们会把工作外包出去 |
[30:55] | I think our records, | 我认为我们的记录 |
[30:57] | they indicate that we sent it back to the police | 那些表明我们把证物送回警局的记录 |
[31:00] | when we may have sent it to Kendall laboratories. | 可能是送到了Kendall实验室 |
[31:04] | well, if we have it, this is the only place it could be | 嗯,如果能找到,那一定只有这个地方 |
[31:07] | How long do you keep samples for? | 你们的样品保留多长时间? |
[31:08] | It varies. | 不一定 |
[31:10] | let’s see…Donovan, Donavan, Donavan | 让我们看看。。。Donovan,Donovan,Donovan |
[31:13] | First name? | 叫什么名字? |
[31:14] | Stuart. | Stuart |
[31:15] | 1992? 1992? | |
[31:16] | Yes. | 是的 |
[31:19] | Nope, nothing. | 没有,什么也没有 |
[31:23] | Well, if you don’t have it and it didn’t make its way back to the police, | 那么,如果你们没有,也没有送回给警局 |
[31:26] | do you have any idea where it could be? | 你分析一下会在哪里? |
[31:28] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[31:30] | Unless, what was the victim’s name? | 除非,受害人姓名? |
[31:33] | Kearns. | Kearns. |
[31:34] | Sometimes they screw up and store it under the victim’s name. | 有时候他们会搞错了,用受害人的名字存档 |
[31:37] | Let’s see, Kearns | 让我们看看,Kearns. |
[31:38] | John, no, | Iohn,没有 |
[31:40] | Steven, Alyssa? | Steven, Alyssa? |
[31:42] | Yes. that’s it, Alyssa. | 是的,那是的,Alyssa, |
[31:44] | 32665? 32665? | |
[31:45] | Yes, that is the file number. | 是的,那是文件号 |
[31:47] | Huh. | 哈 |
[31:48] | What do you mean huh? | 你哈一声是什么意思? |
[31:51] | We have it. | 我们找到了 |
[31:52] | You have it? | 你找到了? |
[31:53] | Here it is. | 这就是 |
[32:03] | Is she still there? | 她还在那里? |
[32:04] | They tracked down the rape kit. | 他们追查到了强奸证物 |
[32:06] | She still in Philadelphia? | 她还在费城? |
[32:07] | She’s meeting with the DA asking for another DNA test. | 她正在和检察官商谈,要求另作一次DNA测试 |
[32:10] | What if this one is conclusive? Did she think about that? | 要是这次消除了怀疑呢?她考虑过这个吗? |
[32:12] | What’s to lose. He’s due to be executed in five weeks. | 那会失去什么?他定于五周内被处决 |
[32:15] | We’re getting paid for this? | 我们有报偿吗? |
[32:17] | $500 cash. | 500元现金 |
[32:18] | Hey, now we should expand. | 嘿,现在我们超支了 |
[32:20] | What’s up with your case? | 你的案子怎么样了? |
[32:22] | The jury is still out. | 陪审团还在商议 |
[32:24] | Anybody seen Lindsay? | 有人看见Lindsay吗? |
[32:38] | Lindsay, hey. | Lindsay,嗨 |
[32:40] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[32:45] | You know, you are in a men’s room. | 你知道你是在男厕所吗? |
[32:46] | Well, I hear unisex is the new rage. | 嗯,我听说男女混用是新风尚 |
[32:50] | How is Bobby? | Bobby怎么样了? |
[32:53] | Well, he’s a little unsettled at the moment. | 他这时候有些心神不宁 |
[32:59] | Something wrong? | 出什么事了? |
[33:00] | You two aren’t fighting, are you? | 你俩吵架了,是吗? |
[33:01] | No, no, we are not fighting. | 没有,没有,我们没吵架 |
[33:06] | He think he killed his mother. | 他觉得他杀了他的妈妈 |
[33:13] | You two really need to talk more. | 你们俩应该多谈谈 |
[33:18] | It’s not something… | 这不是。。。 |
[33:25] | It’s not something I can talk about. | 这不是我能谈的事 |
[33:32] | Well, your son needs to. | 好吧,你儿子需要谈 |
[33:40] | I’m afraid I can’t agree | 恐怕我不能同意 |
[33:42] | You can’t agree to a DNA test? | 你不能同意做DNA测试? |
[33:45] | No, | 不能 |
[33:45] | Why? | 为什么? |
[33:46] | Ms. Frutt, this case is over. | Frutt女士,这案子结了 |
[33:48] | It’s been over for 12 years. | 结案已经12年了 |
[33:50] | He’s about to be put to death | 可他就要被处决了 |
[33:51] | Are you saying that we should go back and reopen an investigation | 你是说仅仅是因为一个判决将要执行 |
[33:54] | simply because a sentence is about to be carried out? | 我们就应该回到当初重新开始一个调查? |
[33:56] | You bastard! | 你混蛋! |
[33:57] | Mary! Mary! | |
[34:00] | The DNA technology has improved | DNA技术已经改进了 |
[34:02] | it is possible that a new test can exonerate… | 一个新的测试有可能免罪。。。 |
[34:04] | I couldn’t reopen if I wanted to | 即使我想我也不能重审 |
[34:06] | This is new evidence , of course you can. | 有了新的证据,你当然可以 |
[34:08] | It isn’t new evidence, we had the rape kit at trial. | 这不是新证据, 在当初审判的时候我们就有强奸相关证物 |
[34:12] | Look, I understand there might be political gain | 你看,我理解在顺利执行处决上 |
[34:14] | in seeing this execution through. | 可能有些政治上的利益 |
[34:16] | It isn’t that and I’m offended at the accusation | 没有这回事,而且我对这种指责感到不悦 |
[34:19] | You are offended at the accusation? | 你对这种指责感到不悦? |
[34:20] | How about, I might have an innocent kid… | 那又怎么了,我或许还有个无辜的孩子。。。 |
[34:22] | He isn’t | 他不是 |
[34:23] | set to be put to death | 注定要被处决 |
[34:24] | and all we are asking is for a simple test | 况且我们所需要的不过是一个简单的测试 |
[34:25] | to confirm that you got the right guy. | 来确认你抓到了真正的凶手 |
[34:27] | It isn’t that simple. | 那可不简单 |
[34:29] | You are in here asking that we reopen an investigation . | 你在这里是要求我重开调查 |
[34:33] | If we did that for you, | 如果我们为你做了这些 |
[34:35] | every defense attorney in town would be lining up | 每一个辩护律师都会在我办公室外面 |
[34:38] | outside my office asking for the very same thing… | 排着队要求仿效。。。 |
[34:40] | I’m the only defense attorney with a client slated for execution. | 我是唯一一个有一个被预定了死刑的委托人的律师 |
[34:43] | The answer is no. | 答复是不! |
[34:46] | Then we will go to court. | 那我们就要去法庭 |
[34:47] | Do what you think you must. | 做你觉得必须要做的吧 |
[34:55] | The jury has asked whether they can come back with manslaughter | 陪审团问是否他们判定为过失杀人 |
[34:59] | What did you say? | 他们说什么? |
[35:03] | I told them no. | 我对他们说不行 |
[35:06] | It’s murder one, murder two, | 这是一级或者二级谋杀 |
[35:10] | or straight acquittal. | 或者直接宣布无罪 |
[35:15] | It’s poker time folks. | 诸位,现在是玩德州poker |
[35:19] | Obviously they don’t want to convict on murder two, | 很明显他们不想定为二级谋杀罪 |
[35:24] | but they might be more reluctant to set him free. | 但他们可能更不情愿让他自由。 |
[35:29] | Who is going to blink? | 你们俩谁会先眨眼? |
[35:33] | I’m still willing to take manslaughter. | 我还是希望接受过失杀人 |
[35:43] | No. | 不 |
[35:45] | Helen. | Helen |
[35:47] | No. | 不 |
[35:54] | Helen | Helen |
[35:55] | You are grabbing me again. | 你又弄疼我了 |
[35:57] | Sorry, I called you a liar | 对不起,我骂你骗子 |
[36:00] | Okay | 好吧,没事了 |
[36:03] | You don’t think we can deal this? | 你不认为我们能达成交易吗? |
[36:04] | You know, Eleanor has been asking why I push this, | 你知道的,Eleanor问过我为什么这样坚持 |
[36:07] | Lindsay asked, | Lindsay也问过 |
[36:09] | truth is I don’t know. | 说实话我不知道 |
[36:10] | I’ve been asking myself . | 我也问过我自己 |
[36:13] | What is the answer? | 答案是什么? |
[36:19] | We live in a country where people kill each other a lot, | 我们生活在一个人们彼此之间存在大量杀戮的国家 |
[36:22] | mostly with guns | 很多时候是用枪 |
[36:23] | and whether I feel for your client or not, | 无论我怎么看待你的委托人 |
[36:26] | and I do, | 也无论我怎么做 |
[36:28] | the thought of expanding the boundaries, even microscopically, | 扩大容忍限度哪怕是很微小的扩大的想法 |
[36:33] | where it becomes excusable to shoot somebody, | 会导致射杀某人是可以被原谅的 |
[36:37] | I can’t do it. | 我不能接受这个想法 |
[36:38] | It has to stay repugnant, | 这种行为必须是令人厌恶的 |
[36:40] | excusable is too short of a leap to acceptable. | 原谅是太容易质变为认同的 |
[36:46] | I can’t do it. | 我不能这样做 |
[36:57] | All we are asking to do is a simple DNA test | 我们所要求的只是做一个简单的DNA测试 |
[36:59] | to confirm whether Stuart Donovan, was in fact the man who raped Alyssa Kearns. | 以确认Stuart Donovan实际上是否是那个强奸了Alyssa Kearns的人 |
[37:04] | My understanding is we had a match. | 我的理解是我们有一项是匹配了 |
[37:06] | A blood type match, but that is hardly conclusive. | 血型匹配,但那很难说是决定性的证据 |
[37:09] | We also had an eyewitness , plus his finger prints. | 我们还有一个目击证人,加上他的指纹 |
[37:12] | This isn’t about that. | 这些与DNA无关 |
[37:14] | Young lady, I was the trial judge in this case . | 女士,我是本案的庭审法官 |
[37:18] | If you are suggesting that Mr. Donovan didn’t get a fair trial… | 如果你提议Donovan先生 没有得到一个公平的审判。。。 |
[37:22] | That is not my suggestion, | 我不是这个意思 |
[37:23] | to repeat I’m only asking that you authorize a DNA test. | 我再重申一次,我仅仅是要求您认可一个DNA测试 |
[37:29] | Mr. Platt. | Platt 先生 |
[37:30] | Under Pennsylvania law, | 依据宾夕法尼亚州的法律 |
[37:32] | new evidence must be introduced within 60 days of its discovery. | 新的证据必须在发现之后的60天内提交 |
[37:36] | The rape kit is 12 years old. | 强奸有关证物已经12年了 |
[37:38] | Defense had opportunity to analyze it before trial. | 辩方有机会在庭审前进行分析的 |
[37:41] | Technology is different. | 而今技术已经不同了 |
[37:43] | The new evidence is not the rape kit, | 新的证据并不是强奸有关物证 |
[37:45] | it wold be the results of the testing. | 而是新的测试结果 |
[37:47] | So the 60 day statute of limitations has not even begun to toll. | 所以这个60天的法定实效甚至都没有开始计算 |
[37:50] | Analysis of evidence is not new evidence | 证物的分析不是新的证据 |
[37:53] | This is suppose to be about the truth. | 而这可能就是事实真相 |
[37:55] | One lousy test brings us to the truth. | 一个让你们讨厌的测试会揭示真相 |
[37:58] | A judicial system is a process, Ms. Frutt. | 司法体系是一个程序化的进程,Frutt女士 |
[38:01] | We have rules of procedures, | 我们有这个进程的规则 |
[38:04] | new evidence is one thing, | 新证据是一回事 |
[38:06] | but three evaluations of all evidence is quite another. | 但三个证据的相关性是另一回事 |
[38:11] | Your honor | 法官大人 |
[38:11] | The petition is denied. | 驳回申请 |
[38:13] | He is facing a death penalty. | 他面临死刑! |
[38:16] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 |
[38:30] | Where’s my mother | 我妈妈在哪? |
[38:33] | She um…. | 她,厄… |
[38:34] | She’s going to come by a little later. | 她一会儿就来 |
[38:37] | She’s some place crying, huh? | 她躲在哪里哭是吗? |
[38:40] | No, she’s upset, Stuart. | 不,她很失望, Stuart |
[38:43] | She just doesn’t know when to quit, that’s all. | 她不知道何时才该放弃,就是因为这个 |
[38:49] | Well, I guess she and I have something in common then, | 好吧,我想我和她有了一个共同点 |
[38:51] | because I’m not quitting. | 因为我不会放弃的 |
[38:53] | What are you going to do? | 你打算怎么做? |
[38:57] | I don’t know, but I’m not going to go back to Boston. | 我不知道,我会先回波士顿 |
[39:00] | I can tell you that. | 我可以告诉你 |
[39:18] | Mr. Foreman, the jury has reached its verdict? | 陪审团主席先生,你们得出结论了吗? |
[39:20] | We have. | 是的 |
[39:22] | Defendant, please rise . | 被告请起立 |
[39:28] | What say you? | 请宣布 |
[39:31] | On Commonwealth versus Scott Simpson, | 联邦指控Scott Simpson |
[39:34] | on the charge of murder in the first degree, | 一级谋杀罪名 |
[39:37] | we find the defendant Scott Simpson | 我们认为被告Scott Simpson |
[39:41] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[39:44] | On the charge of murder in the second degree, | 关于二级谋杀罪名的指控 |
[39:47] | we find the defendant Scott Simpson | 我们认为被告Scott Simpson |
[39:51] | guilty. | 有罪 |
[39:55] | Members of the jury, this completes your service, | 陪审团成员们,你们尽到了义务 |
[39:57] | the court thanks you. | 法庭感谢你们 |
[40:00] | This matter is adjourned. | 本案休庭 |
[40:01] | Security will take the defendant into custody. | 警卫将被告收监 |
[40:21] | Aunt Lori is going to take you guys home | Lori阿姨会把你们送回家 |
[40:23] | and you will stay with her for a little while like we talked about. | 你们会和她呆一小段时间,就像我们之前说好的那样 |
[40:28] | Everything is going to be okay. | 一切都会没事的 |
[40:30] | They’ll be okay, Scott. | 他们会没事的,Scott |
[40:32] | I’ll call you tomorrow guys, okay? | 我明天给你打电话,好吗? |
[40:34] | Goodnight, dad. I love you. | 晚安,爸爸,我爱你 |
[40:41] | I’ll go with the boys, I’ll take them home. | 我和这俩孩子一起,我送他们回家 |
[40:46] | Okay. | 好的 |
[40:48] | Are you okay? | 你还好吗? |
[40:51] | Yeah. | 嗯 |