| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:00] | Previous on The Practice: | 前集剧情回顾 | 
| [00:02] | Can you tell me the crime your son’s been convicted of? | 你能告诉我你儿子被定的什么罪吗? | 
| [00:04] | He’s on death row in Pennsylvania. | 他在宾夕法尼亚州监狱的死囚室里 | 
| [00:06] | He’s to be executed in five weeks. | 他五周内将被处决 | 
| [00:08] | He’s convicted of raping and killing his girlfriend, Alisha Kerns, | 他的定罪是强奸并杀害了他的女友,Alisha Kerns | 
| [00:12] | then killing her mother. | 然后杀了她的妈妈 | 
| [00:13] | Any DNA? | 有DNA证据吗? | 
| [00:15] | They didn’t do full DNA analysis back then. | 那时他们没有做过完整的DNA分析 | 
| [00:17] | This is Ellenor Frutt. | 这是Ellenor Frutt | 
| [00:19] | Hello. | 你好 | 
| [00:20] | She says you can do something, can you really? | 她说你能够做些什么,真的吗? | 
| [00:23] | Would you support me in my efforts | 你会对我试图找到强奸物证的尝试 | 
| [00:24] | to try to determine where the rape kit could have gone? | 给予帮助吗? | 
| [00:26] | Of course, but Ms. Frutt, | 当然,但是,Frutt女士 | 
| [00:28] | Mr. Donovan was rightly convicted. | Donovan先生已经正确地定罪为 | 
| [00:30] | -of a double homicide..-He did not commit that crime. | -双重杀人罪 -他没有犯罪! | 
| [00:33] | All right. | 好吧 | 
| [00:34] | Steven, Alisha? | Steven, Alisha? | 
| [00:36] | Yes, that’s it, Alisha. | 是的,那是, Alisha | 
| [00:37] | 32665. | 32665 | 
| [00:38] | Yeah, that’s the file number. | 是的,就是那个档案编号 | 
| [00:40] | We’ve got it. | 我们找到了 | 
| [00:41] | New evidence is one thing, | 出现新证据是一回事 | 
| [00:43] | but the reevaluation of old evidence is quite another. | 但重新评估老证据是另一回事 | 
| [00:47] | I’m only asking that you authorize a DNA test. | 我只要求你批准进行DNA测试。 | 
| [00:51] | The petition is denied. | 申请被驳回 | 
| [00:52] | She just doesn’t know when to quit. | 她就是不知道何时放弃 | 
| [00:54] | Well, I guess she and I have something in common then, | 我想我和她想法一致了 | 
| [00:57] | because I’m not quitting. | 因为我不会放弃的 | 
| [01:03] | Okay. Pennsylvania Supreme Court turned us down last night, | 好了,宾夕法尼亚州最高法院昨晚把我们驳回了 | 
| [01:07] | which means we have to go to Federal Circuit Court | 那意味着我们不得不上诉到联邦巡回法庭 | 
| [01:10] | under what’s called a Successor Petition. | 所谓继任者上诉 | 
| [01:12] | Just to get the DNA test? | 只是为了争取DNA测试? | 
| [01:14] | It gets worse. | 那样会更糟 | 
| [01:17] | Since his last lawyer previously filed a Habeas Petition, | 因为他最后一个律师仓促提交了人身保护令申请 | 
| [01:20] | under federal law we don’t get another chance | 依据联邦法律,我们得不到另一个机会 | 
| [01:23] | unless we can pretty much prove that he’s innocent, | 除非我们能提出相当有力的证据证实他是无辜的 | 
| [01:25] | and that his constitutional rights were violated. | 并且他的宪法权利遭到了侵犯 | 
| [01:29] | Wait, wait, wait. | 等一下等一下 | 
| [01:30] | We’re trying to get the DNA test | 我们争取做DNA测试 | 
| [01:31] | in order to prove that he’s innocent, | 是为了证明他是无辜的 | 
| [01:33] | but we can’t get that test | 但除非我们先证明他是无辜的 | 
| [01:34] | unless we prove he’s innocent first? | 否则我们就得不到这个测试 | 
| [01:37] | Right. | 就是这样 | 
| [01:38] | How the hell can that be?! | 这他妈的算怎么回事? | 
| [01:39] | I don’t know, | 我也不知道 | 
| [01:40] | but Stuart Donovan is set to be put to death in 17 days, | 但Stuart Donovan按计划在17天后要被处决 | 
| [01:43] | so that means between now and then | 所以那意味着在这期间 | 
| [01:45] | we have to somehow prove that he’s innocent. | 我们必须要用某种方法证明他是无辜的 | 
| [02:40] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 | 
| [02:41] | Are you Mr. Donnell? | 你是Donnell先生吗? | 
| [02:43] | Yes | 是的 | 
| [02:44] | My name’s Arthur Turner and this is my wife Gertrude. | 我叫Arthur Turner,这是我太太Gertrude | 
| [02:47] | Hello. | 你好 | 
| [02:48] | I’m afraid we’re in a bit of trouble. | 恐怕我们有一点麻烦了 | 
| [02:51] | What kind of trouble? | 什么麻烦? | 
| [02:53] | It’s my daughter. | 有关我的女儿 | 
| [02:54] | We were recently married | 我们最近结了婚 | 
| [02:55] | and my stepdaughter’s trying to get the marriage annulled. | 我的继女试图要使其无效 | 
| [02:58] | There’s a hearing scheduled for today… | 今天在这里有了听证会。。。 | 
| [03:00] | Mr. Turner, this is Lindsay Dole. | Turner先生,这是Lindsay Dole | 
| [03:01] | She heads up our domestic relations department. | 她主管我们的家庭关系部 | 
| [03:04] | Lindsay, this is Arthur Turner and his wife Gertrude. | Lindsay ,这是Arthur Turner和Gertrude夫妇 | 
| [03:06] | Hello. | 你好 | 
| [03:07] | Bobby, on that lujack matter… | Bobby,lujack案子。。。 | 
| [03:09] | I’ll handle the lujack deposition. | 我来处理lujack的证词采录 | 
| [03:10] | Help the Turners. | 帮助Turner夫妇吧 | 
| [03:12] | If they are able to get this annulled, | 如果他们能得到这个 | 
| [03:15] | which they are trying to do… | 他们正在努力争取的无效宣告。。。 | 
| [03:16] | Rebecca. | Rebecca. | 
| [03:17] | Actually sir, we have an annulment specialist. | 实际上,先生,我们有一个这方面的专家 | 
| [03:19] | Could you help the Turners? | 你能帮一下Turner夫妇吗? | 
| [03:20] | Their marriage is being threatened with annulment. | 他们的婚姻受到了无效宣告的威胁 | 
| [03:22] | The hearing is today. | 相关的听证会在今天 | 
| [03:23] | I have that lujack conflict… | 这和lujack的案子安排冲突了。。。 | 
| [03:24] | I’m actually helping Bobby on the lujack matter. | 我刚巧正在帮Boobby办lujack的案子 | 
| [03:27] | Thank you. | 拜托你了 | 
| [03:28] | Ms. Washington will help you. | Washington女士负责你们的事 | 
| [03:32] | This lujack sounds like a really big client. | 这位lujack听起来真是一个大客户 | 
| [03:44] | I can’t possibly thank you enough for coming. | 对你的到来,我不知道怎么感谢才好 | 
| [03:46] | Come on, I’ll show you the room. | 快来,我带你看看房间 | 
| [03:48] | We can get started. | 我们开始吧 | 
| [04:02] | Oh my god. | 我的天呀 | 
| [04:04] | Oh, sorry. | 噢,对不起 | 
| [04:06] | I don’t even notice those anymore. | 我再也没注意到那些了 | 
| [04:08] | After 12 years… | 12年了。。。 | 
| [04:10] | I have a meeting with the informant at one. | 我一点要去见线人 | 
| [04:12] | Eugene’s gonna see the eyewitness. | Eugene去见目击证人 | 
| [04:14] | Good luck tying to get the time of day with him. | 祝你今天顺利 | 
| [04:17] | What about the father? | 那个父亲呢? | 
| [04:18] | Jimmy is gonna try. | Jimmy去试试看 | 
| [04:20] | I can’t tell you how grateful I am. | 我说不出来有多感激 | 
| [04:23] | We can’t get our hopes up Mary. | Mary,我们不能抱太大的希望 | 
| [04:24] | I keep trying to tell you this. | 我一直想告诉你这点 | 
| [04:26] | Let’s just get to work. | 让我们这就开始吧 | 
| [04:34] | An annulment is kind of a drastic measure. | 无效宣告是一种极端的措施 | 
| [04:37] | I, I just thought… | 我,我就是想。。。 | 
| [04:38] | Where’s my mother now? | 我妈妈现在在哪里? | 
| [04:39] | She’s with her husband. | 她和她丈夫在一起 | 
| [04:41] | -Her husband? He’s nothing but a… -Claire | -她的丈夫?他算个什么东西,他是。。。 | 
| [04:43] | No I’ll say my say. | 不,我要把我的话说出来 | 
| [04:45] | You’re no better then he is, | 你也不是什么好东西 | 
| [04:47] | taking advantage of a… | 趁火打劫。。。 | 
| [04:49] | I am not taking advantage of anyone ma’am. | 女士,我没有利用任何人。 | 
| [04:52] | And I will thank you not to draw conclusions | 而且你如果不轻易得出我是谁和我如何的结论的话 | 
| [04:55] | about who and what I am. | 我会谢谢你的 | 
| [04:56] | You’re a lawyer. That’s all I need to know. | 你是个律师,这就是我需要知道的 | 
| [04:59] | Claire, that’s enough. | Claire,说够了 | 
| [05:01] | According to Mr. Turner, | 据Turner先生说 | 
| [05:03] | he loves your mother very much. | 他非常爱你的母亲 | 
| [05:04] | Oh right. | 噢,是吗? | 
| [05:05] | She lacked the capacity to enter into a contract, | 她缺乏订立契约的能力 | 
| [05:08] | -marital or… -How do you figure? Duress? | -结婚或者。。。 -你觉得是什么?胁迫? | 
| [05:10] | What are the grounds? | 理由是什么? | 
| [05:11] | She has Alzheimer’s Ms. Washington. | Washington女士,她患有老年痴呆症 | 
| [05:15] | You didn’t know this? | 你不知道这事? | 
| [05:17] | Your client married a woman with Alzheimer’s. | 你的委托人娶了一个老年痴呆的女人 | 
| [05:23] | So? | 那又怎么样? | 
| [05:24] | It’s illegal for somebody with Alzheimer’s to get married? | 患有老年痴呆症人结婚是不合法的吗? | 
| [05:28] | Well it does raise some capacity issues. | 可这会引发一些有关行为能力方面的问题 | 
| [05:33] | So what’s gonna happen? | 那么会怎么样? | 
| [05:34] | Well there’s going to be a hearing. | 会有一个听证会 | 
| [05:36] | Mr. Turner you’ll have to take the stand. | Turner先生必须要接受质询 | 
| [05:38] | I think they plan on calling a doctor, | 我认为他们计划传唤一个医生 | 
| [05:40] | and then Mrs. Turner, you’ll have to testify. | Turner太太,随后你必须要作证 | 
| [05:42] | No, I won’t let her be put through that. | 不,我不能让她做这件事 | 
| [05:45] | She has to demonstrate to the court | 她必须向法庭证明。 | 
| [05:47] | that she was competent to get married. | 她有结婚的行为能力。 | 
| [05:49] | If Claire were concerned about her mother’s well fair, | 如果Claire真的关心她的母亲 | 
| [05:53] | she wouldn’t have stuck her in that home. | 她不会把她扔在疗养院里的。 | 
| [05:55] | Now she’s not gonna be put through testimony. | 现在她不会去完成作证的 | 
| [05:59] | I’m afraid that she… | 恐怕她必须要去。。。 | 
| [06:00] | Ah…I said no. | 喂,我说了不行 | 
| [06:01] | Mr. Turner, you hired me to help you. | Turner先生,你雇我来帮助你 | 
| [06:05] | If you plan to keep this marriage from being annulled, | 如果你打算这个婚姻关系不会被宣告无效 | 
| [06:08] | your wife will have to testify. | 你太太将不得不去作证 | 
| [06:10] | I can do it sweetheart. | 我能行,亲爱的 | 
| [06:13] | All I have to do is show them that I’m continent. | 我所要做的就是让他们知道我是陆地(continent)。 | 
| [06:20] | That’s competent. | 那应该念成有能力的(competent) | 
| [06:23] | Yes. | 对 | 
| [06:27] | We should get in. | 我们进去吧 | 
| [06:38] | Mr. Bresler, | Bresler先生 | 
| [06:41] | I appreciate you taking the time. | 感谢你抽出时间 | 
| [06:43] | Yeah, um, like I said, | 是的,嗯,我说了 | 
| [06:44] | I only got a couple minutes. | 我只有几分钟时间 | 
| [06:50] | You’re house is right across from the Kearns? | 你的房子在Kearn家的正对面是吧? | 
| [06:53] | Was. | 是的 | 
| [06:53] | I, uh, got divorced and moved about six years ago. | 我,呃,六年前我离婚后就搬走了 | 
| [06:57] | Well, in any case, going to that night, | 那么,不管怎么样,那天晚上 | 
| [07:00] | you can be sure it was Stuart Donovan | 你能确定你看到Stuart Donovan | 
| [07:02] | you saw go into that house? | 走进那房子吗? | 
| [07:04] | Positive. | 没错 | 
| [07:05] | Can you tell me how you happened to see him? | 你能告诉我你是怎么碰巧看见他的? | 
| [07:07] | I was watching Johnny Carson when I saw his camero pull up. | 我当时正在看Johnny Carson的节目 我看到他停下他的雪佛兰科迈罗 | 
| [07:12] | It was, uh, red with big tires and mag wheels. | 那是,嗯,红色的,大轮胎和轮毂 | 
| [07:15] | It always makes a lot of noise, day and night. | 总是不分白天黑夜地制造噪音 | 
| [07:18] | So you actually saw Stuart get out of the car? | 你确实看见了Stuart从车里出来? | 
| [07:20] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [07:21] | Well he said he left around nine o’clock. | 他说他大概是九点离开的 | 
| [07:23] | Impossible. | 不可能 | 
| [07:24] | It was between eleven-thirty and twelve. | 那是在11点半到12点之间 | 
| [07:27] | I told you, I was watching Carson. | 我跟你说,我那时在是看Carson的节目 | 
| [07:29] | Well, did you hear any screams come from the house? | 好吧,你听到从那房子里传来惊叫声吗? | 
| [07:32] | No. | 没有 | 
| [07:35] | You know he’s gonna be executed in two weeks. | 你知道你将会在两周内被处决吧 | 
| [07:38] | Yes. It’s been on the news. | 知道,上已经新闻了 | 
| [07:42] | Well, given that, | 好吧,假定一下 | 
| [07:43] | is there any chance it wasn’t Stuart Donovan | 你那天晚上看到的 | 
| [07:45] | you saw that night? | 有没有可能不是Stuart Donovan? | 
| [07:48] | Mr. Young, I met the kid a few times back then. | Young先生,那一阵我见过这孩子几次 | 
| [07:52] | He seemed like a real nice boy. | 他看起来是个挺不错的男孩 | 
| [07:54] | I’m not saying he did what they say he did, | 我没有说他犯了那些别人指控的罪行 | 
| [07:57] | but he did go in there that night. | 但是那晚,他到了那里 | 
| [08:00] | There’s no question about that. | 这一点没有疑问 | 
| [08:07] | Mr. Turner, how long have you known your wife? | Turner先生,你认识你太太多久了? | 
| [08:10] | Over thirty-five years. | 超过35年 | 
| [08:12] | I knew her late husband and they knew my first wife. | 我认识她已故的丈夫,他们也认识我第一任妻子 | 
| [08:16] | I guess the question people are asking… | 我猜人们会问一个问题。。。 | 
| [08:20] | she has Alzheimer’s. | 她有老年痴呆症 | 
| [08:22] | I fell in love with her long before she was stricken with that. | 我在她患病之前很久就爱上他了 | 
| [08:26] | Certainly doesn’t make me stop loving her. | 当然不会让我停止对她的爱 | 
| [08:29] | Okay, but it might stop you from being able to care for her. | 好吧,但这也许会导致你无法照料她 | 
| [08:33] | If that day comes, | 如果那一天到来 | 
| [08:35] | I may have to consider putting her in a home. | 我也许必须考虑让她留在疗养院里 | 
| [08:39] | But that day is not now Claire. | 但现在还不是那一天,Claire | 
| [08:42] | I’ll tell you THAT! | 我要让你知道那一点 | 
| [08:44] | You don’t know what you’re talking about Arthur. | 你不知道你在瞎说什么,Arthur | 
| [08:45] | -I would never… -Ms. Stevens, | -我绝不。。。 -Stevens女士 | 
| [08:47] | sit. | 坐下 | 
| [08:49] | Mr. Turner, please do not address her. | Turner先生,请不要和她说话 | 
| [08:52] | She’s upset because I took her out of the home. | 很生气,因为我把她妈妈从疗养院里带了出去 | 
| [08:55] | Yes she is. | 是的,她是 | 
| [08:56] | She thinks you married her to gain guardianship | 她认为你结婚是为了获得监护权 | 
| [08:59] | so you could remove her from the home. | 因此你可以把她妈妈带出疗养院 | 
| [09:01] | I married her because I love her, | 我娶她是因为我爱她 | 
| [09:04] | and as a person who loves her, | 作为一个爱她的人, | 
| [09:06] | I wanted her out of that place. Damn right. | 我希望她离开那个鬼地方,该死的! | 
| [09:10] | You snuck a minister into the nursing home | 你把一个牧师偷偷带进疗养院 | 
| [09:12] | where he performed the wedding service? | 他在那里主持了婚礼仪式? | 
| [09:14] | Yes I did. | 是的 | 
| [09:16] | And you have control of your wife’s estate now, | 并且你现在可以控制你太太的财产了 | 
| [09:18] | don’t you Mr. Turner? | 不是吗?Turner先生? | 
| [09:19] | If Claire wanted her mother to be happy, | 如果Claire希望她母亲快乐 | 
| [09:22] | she’d want her to be with me. | 她应该希望她妈妈和我在一起 | 
| [09:24] | She wants her mother properly cared for. | 你希望她妈妈得到很好的照顾 | 
| [09:26] | And I’m doing that! | 而我正在做这些! | 
| [09:27] | She has Alzheimer’s, | 她有老年痴呆症 | 
| [09:29] | you’re a seventy-six year old man with no training… | 而你已经76岁了,又没有经过相关的培训。。。 | 
| [09:31] | I can do better then they can. | 我可以做得比他们还好 | 
| [09:33] | That isn’t true. | 这不是事实 | 
| [09:34] | You’re ill equipped to provide care… | 你不具备提供护理。。。 | 
| [09:36] | I can take care of her! | 我能照顾好她! | 
| [09:38] | You, stop it! | 你,住嘴! | 
| [09:49] | Mrs. Turner, who is he? | Turner太太,他是谁? | 
| [09:52] | What’s his name? | 他叫什么? | 
| [10:01] | She is not a witness here. | 她现在不是证人 | 
| [10:03] | No she isn’t, but the court certainly would like to know | 对,她不是,但是法庭确实也想知道 | 
| [10:06] | if she can answer the question. | 她是否可以回答这个问题 | 
| [10:08] | Mrs. Turner, who is this man? | Turner太太,这男人是谁? | 
| [10:13] | Do you know him? | 你认识他吗? | 
| [10:18] | Of course I do. | 我当然认识 | 
| [10:19] | Who is he? | 他是谁? | 
| [10:23] | His name… | 他的名字。。。 | 
| [10:25] | is Arthur Turner. | 是Arthur Turner | 
| [10:27] | He is my lawfully wedded husband. | 他是我合法正式结婚的丈夫 | 
| [10:31] | And I would appreciate it if all of you would leave the two of us alone. | 如果你们所有这些人别再来烦我们的话,我会很感激的 | 
| [10:46] | I’ve been having these dreams lately. | 我最近经常做些梦 | 
| [10:48] | What sort of dreams? | 哪一类的? | 
| [10:49] | That I’m asleep and I can’t wake up. | 我睡着了但醒不过来了 | 
| [10:52] | Then I start thinking, they’ve already done it. | 我开始想,他们已经处决我了 | 
| [10:56] | I’m dead and this is what it feels like. | 我死了,这感觉特别像 | 
| [11:01] | Yeah. | 是啊 | 
| [11:04] | I have a meeting with the informant in forty-five minutes. | 我45分钟后有一个和线人的会面 | 
| [11:07] | I really don’t expect him to help me, | 我对他的帮助不抱太大希望 | 
| [11:10] | unless he figures there’s something we can give him. | 除非他认为我们可以给他些什么做交换 | 
| [11:13] | Okay. Can you make ’em stop with the priest? | 好了,你能让他们制止牧师吗? | 
| [11:16] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么? | 
| [11:17] | This priest keeps coming to see me. | 这个牧师不断来看我 | 
| [11:19] | He says it’s important that I confess to god before I go. | 他说在我死之前向上帝忏悔是很重要的 | 
| [11:23] | I’ll deal with that. | 我会处理这事的 | 
| [11:24] | He says it’s my only chance for absolution. | 他说这是我获得宽恕的唯一机会 | 
| [11:26] | I will take care of the priest. | 我会处理好这个牧师的 | 
| [11:28] | Stuart, don’t talk to anybody. | Stuart,别跟任何人说话 | 
| [11:31] | Not even clergy. | 即使是牧师 | 
| [11:35] | Most of the time she’s lucid, | 大多数时间她是清醒的 | 
| [11:37] | but she does suffer bouts of both confusion and delusion. | 但是她会承受迷乱和幻觉的双重发作 | 
| [11:41] | And Doctor, does her condition stand to improve? | 那么,医生,她的健康状况会趋向改善吗? | 
| [11:44] | No. It’s a progressive disease. | 不会,这是一个渐进性的疾病 | 
| [11:47] | Her cognitive abilities will eventually erode. | 她的认知能力终会渐渐毁坏 | 
| [11:50] | Probably completely. | 可能是彻底丧失 | 
| [11:51] | What about care? | 在护理方面呢? | 
| [11:53] | I think she’s already at a point | 我认为她已经面临着 | 
| [11:56] | where she needs full-time supervision by a professional staff. | 需要专业人员进行全天的护理的情形 | 
| [11:59] | To entrust her to the care a seventy-six year old man with no training? | 把她托付给一个没有培训过的76岁高龄的老人吗? | 
| [12:02] | That’s a threat to her safety. | 那对她的安全是一个威胁 | 
| [12:05] | Does she seem to have deteriorated since she left the home? | 离开疗养院之后,她的情况看起来有所恶化吗? | 
| [12:08] | It’s only been a month. | 这才一个月 | 
| [12:10] | I’ll ask the question again | 我再重问一次 | 
| [12:11] | Does she seem to have deteriorated since she left the home? | 离开疗养院之后,她的情况看起来有所恶化吗? | 
| [12:16] | No. | 没有 | 
| [12:16] | When you talk about the welfare or well being of a patient, | 当你谈到一个患者的幸福和健康时 | 
| [12:20] | whether she’s happy or depressed, is that a factor? | 她是快乐的还是消沉的,是一个因素吗? | 
| [12:24] | Of course. | 当然是 | 
| [12:25] | And if Mrs. Turner were happier living with Mr. Turner, | 如果Turner夫人和Turner先生生活在一起更加快乐 | 
| [12:29] | that is something to consider medically as well, isn’t it? | 这个因素也是和医学方面的(因素)一样要考虑到的,不是吗? | 
| [12:32] | It’s not the only thing to consider. Given her age… | 这不是唯一要考虑的事,考虑到她的年龄。。 | 
| [12:35] | My question is, | 我的问题是 | 
| [12:36] | Isn’t it possible she would be better off living with him, | 和他一起生活会对她更好,尤其是他爱着她, | 
| [12:39] | especially when he loves her? | 这难道不可能吗? | 
| [12:41] | The likelihood of him being able to take care of her is so remote… | 他能照顾好她的可能性太不靠谱了。。。 | 
| [12:46] | But if you were satisfied that he could take care of her, | 但是如果你能对他的照顾满意的话, | 
| [12:50] | she’s better off living with him than in a nursing home, isn’t she? | 她和他生活在一起是优于呆在疗养院的,不是吗? | 
| [12:54] | That’s a very big ‘if’. | 这个“如果”可是个大事 | 
| [12:57] | But probably, yes. | 但是不是可能,是的 | 
| [12:59] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 | 
| [13:12] | Mr. Kearns? | Kearns先生? | 
| [13:13] | Yes? | 有事吗? | 
| [13:15] | My name is James Berluti, sir. | 我叫James Berluti,先生 | 
| [13:17] | As I’m sure you know, | 我想你知道 | 
| [13:18] | Stuart Donovan is soon to be executed | Stuart Donovan不久就会被处决 | 
| [13:21] | for the murder of your wife and daughter. | 因为谋杀了你的妻子和女儿 | 
| [13:23] | And? | 嗯? | 
| [13:24] | At the risk of you slamming the door on my face, | 冒着被你把门砸在我脸上的风险, | 
| [13:27] | I’ve been hired by Stuart’s mother. | 我受雇于Stuart的妈妈 | 
| [13:30] | If I could, and I know how offensive this must seem, | 如果我能的话,我知道我看起来十分唐突 | 
| [13:35] | I’d like to ask you just a couple of questions. | 我想问你几个问题 | 
| [13:43] | I was working the graveyard shift, | 我那时候上夜班 | 
| [13:44] | but I remember before I left | 但我记得我离开前 | 
| [13:46] | my wife trying to calm Alissa down. | 我的妻子试图让Alissa 平息下来。 | 
| [13:49] | Do you know why? | 你知道为什么吗? | 
| [13:51] | Alissa had broken up with Stuart a few days before, | Alissa 几天前和Stuart分了手 | 
| [13:55] | and he was calling her and harassing her. | 他不断打电话骚扰她 | 
| [13:59] | She was pretty upset. | 她非常烦躁 | 
| [14:03] | I didn’t take it seriously though. | 不过我没有认真对待 | 
| [14:05] | And when I came home, and saw what he had done to her. | 当我回家,看到了他对她所做的 | 
| [14:11] | This may be the part that sounds offensive, | 这也许听起来又是很唐突的 | 
| [14:14] | but can you think of anybody else | 你考虑过有没有别的人 | 
| [14:18] | who may have wanted to harm your daughter or your wife? | 会想伤害你女儿或你的妻子吗? | 
| [14:22] | Mr. Berluti, I understand as a parent, | Berluti先生,我理解做为一个家长 | 
| [14:28] | Mary Donovan will do anything to prevent her son’s execution. | Mary Donovan会尽一切可能阻止对她儿子的执刑 | 
| [14:35] | But you tell her from me that, | 但是你替我跟她说 | 
| [14:36] | as a parent, she should understand that I won’t feel any peace | 做为一个家长,她应该理解 | 
| [14:42] | until the person who raped and murdered my daughter is put to death. | 直到强奸并杀害我的女儿的凶手被处决为止, 我将不会有任何安心的感觉 | 
| [14:46] | And you can tell her I’ll see her son | 你还可以告诉她,我将去看她的儿子 | 
| [14:48] | because I plan to be there. | 因为我计划去那里 | 
| [14:52] | I plan to be there for his last breath, | 我打算去那里看咽下最后一口气 | 
| [14:55] | just like he was for my wife and daughter’s. | 正如同他对我女儿和太太那样 | 
| [15:00] | I understand you want closure, sir, | 先生,我理解你想结束了 | 
| [15:03] | but if he didn’t do it, | 但如果不是他做的 | 
| [15:06] | when they execute him, that’s it. | 当他们处决了他,那就是问题所在 | 
| [15:09] | They got the real killer Mr. Berluti. | 他们抓到了真正的凶手,Berluti先生 | 
| [15:18] | I don’t want her testifying. | 我不想让她出庭作证 | 
| [15:19] | Mr. Turner… | Turner先生 | 
| [15:20] | It ain’t hard to get her confused Rebecca. | 他们把她绕糊涂是很容易的,Rebecca | 
| [15:22] | You’re just going to… | 你只要。。。 | 
| [15:24] | The Judge has made it clear he needs to hear from her. | 法官说得很清楚了,他要听她说 | 
| [15:27] | I’ll try my best to protect her, but she has to testify. | 我会尽力保护她的,不过她必须要作证 | 
| [15:31] | Why don’t you two stop your fussing? | 你们�z为什么不停止这种小题大做的争吵? | 
| [15:34] | He’s not gonna hurt me with everybody watching. | 大庭广众之下,他不会伤害我的 | 
| [15:38] | Frank’s just a big coward when you come right down to it. | 如果你直接冲着他过去的,Frank 就是一个胆小鬼 | 
| [15:41] | Who’s Frank? | 谁是Frank? | 
| [15:43] | Her first husband. | 她的前夫 | 
| [15:46] | Frank’s not gonna be there Gertie. | Frank不会去那里的,Gertie | 
| [15:49] | Well then why are we all so worried? | 那我们还有什么可怕的? | 
| [15:52] | Claire’s gonna be in there with her lawyer | Claire会和她的律师在那里 | 
| [15:55] | saying you and I shouldn’t be married. | 说你我不应该结婚 | 
| [15:58] | Married? | 结婚? | 
| [16:02] | Well I suspect Frank will have something to say about that. | 我怀疑Frank对此会有些话想说 | 
| [16:10] | Frank’s dead. | Frank 已经去世了 | 
| [16:13] | You remember that. | 你记得那事 | 
| [16:16] | Oh yes. | 噢,是呀 | 
| [16:23] | Just as well. | 幸好。。。 | 
| [16:42] | Who are you? | 你是谁? | 
| [16:43] | I represent Stuart Donovan, | 我代理Stuart Donovan | 
| [16:45] | the man who’s about to be executed on your testimony. | 因为你的证词,他即将被处决了 | 
| [16:48] | Don’t be laying that on me. Other folks testified. | 别把这责任推到我身上,其他人也作证了 | 
| [16:52] | But your testimony was especially powerful. | 但你的证词特别有力 | 
| [16:54] | You said that he confessed to you. | 你说他向你承认了 | 
| [16:57] | He did. | 他是承认了 | 
| [16:57] | Really? Why would he do that? | 真的吗?他为什么要那样做? | 
| [17:00] | Had an attack of conscience I guess. | 我猜是他受不了良心的谴责吧 | 
| [17:03] | Seems to happen a lot around you, doesn’t it? | 似乎你犯的事很多,不是吗? | 
| [17:05] | Back in 1988, you were arrested for robbing a liquor store | 1988年,你因抢劫酒店而被捕 | 
| [17:10] | and then you testified that Stuart Donovan confessed | 而后你指证Stuart Donovan对你坦白罪行 | 
| [17:12] | and you got a reduced sentence. | 你得到了减刑 | 
| [17:14] | Then arrested in ’91 and ’93 on other charges, | 1991和1993年因其他指控被捕 | 
| [17:18] | both times you became a snitch on jailhouse confessions | 这两次你都做了监室告密者 | 
| [17:21] | and both times you got a reduced sentence. | 两次你都得到了减刑 | 
| [17:24] | People open up to me. | 人们都乐于向我敞开心扉 | 
| [17:26] | Stuart Donovan is about to be executed. | Stuart Donovan即将被处决了 | 
| [17:30] | Do you really want that on your conscience? | 凭良心说,难道你真的希望那样吗? | 
| [17:33] | You are a burglar and an armed robber, | 你是个贼,也是持枪抢劫犯 | 
| [17:36] | but you have never killed anyone. | 但是你没有杀过人 | 
| [17:39] | Don’t start with Stuart Donovan. | 别从Stuart Donovan开始 | 
| [17:46] | What do you want from me? | 你希望我做什么? | 
| [17:48] | A statement saying that you lied. | 一个承认你撒谎的声明 | 
| [17:50] | That he never confessed. | 声明Stuart Donovan没有坦白过 | 
| [17:52] | The statute of limitation is run on perjury, | 时效法是适用于伪证罪的 | 
| [17:54] | you won’t have to worry about that. | 所以这一点你不用担心 | 
| [18:05] | I’ll do it… | 如果你把我转移到Curran-Frumhold | 
| [18:09] | if you get me a bring-down to County. | 降低等级的县级惩戒所 | 
| [18:12] | Curran-Frumhold Facility. | 我就做出声明 | 
| [18:14] | I don’t know how I can do that. | 我不知道我怎么才能做到这些 | 
| [18:19] | Then we got nothing to talk about. | 那我们就没啥可谈的了 | 
| [18:21] | Earl, a man is about to die! | Earl, 一个人即将被处决! | 
| [18:25] | No bring-down, no statement. | 不降低等级,就没有声明 | 
| [18:46] | The question we have Mrs. Turner, is | Turner夫人,我们的问题是 | 
| [18:49] | whether you fully appreciated what you were doing | 当你让这个男人成为你丈夫的时候 | 
| [18:52] | when you took this man for your husband. | 你是否完全理解你在做什么 | 
| [18:54] | The question you have is whether I’m nuts. | 你的问题是问我是不是疯子 | 
| [18:58] | I can fully appreciate that. | 我完全能明白 | 
| [19:00] | I need some strait answers ma’am. | 夫人,我需要一些直接的回答 | 
| [19:03] | Why do I own anybody anything? | 难道我拥有什么吗? | 
| [19:06] | I didn’t see anybody here coming to visit me in that home. | 这里的人没有去疗养院看望过我 | 
| [19:12] | All you people care so much, | 你们所有人都很关心? | 
| [19:16] | where were you? | 你在哪里? | 
| [19:18] | Where were you Claire? | 你在哪里?Claire? | 
| [19:21] | Please don’t address your daughter ma’am. | 夫人,请不要对你的女儿说话 | 
| [19:23] | Arthur is the only one who wants to take care of me. | Arthur是唯一一个想照顾我的人 | 
| [19:27] | He’s the only one who loves me. Frank didn’t. | 他是唯一一个爱我的人,Frank则不是 | 
| [19:31] | Who’s Frank? | Frank是谁? | 
| [19:33] | He’s dead, that’s who he is. | 他已经死了,就是个死人 | 
| [19:35] | Frank was her first husband. | Frank是他第一个丈夫 | 
| [19:37] | Bang on the head, he’s dead. | 给他脑袋嘭地一下,他就死了 | 
| [19:41] | Arthur’s idea to say he fell. | Arthur出主意说他是自己摔的 | 
| [19:46] | Excuse me? | 什么? | 
| [19:49] | You wouldn’t stop him. | 你不能阻止他 | 
| [19:55] | The man beat on me. | 这男人打我 | 
| [19:57] | Gertie! | Gertie! | 
| [19:58] | Bang on the head, he’s dead. | 给他脑袋嘭地一下,他就死了 | 
| [20:01] | Oh my god! | 天呀! | 
| [20:03] | Your Honor, could we take a short recess? | 法官大人,我们能短暂休庭一下吗? | 
| [20:04] | No, actually. | 不,这不行 | 
| [20:05] | Mrs. Turner, Frank, your first husband, | Turner太太,Frank,你的前夫 | 
| [20:09] | how did he die? | 他怎么死的? | 
| [20:12] | He fell. | 他摔到了 | 
| [20:14] | He fell? | 他摔到了? | 
| [20:15] | A second ago you were suggesting that Arthur hit him on the head. | 刚才你还暗示说Arthur打了他的头 | 
| [20:18] | That’s what happened. | 实际发生的是 | 
| [20:20] | He fell after Arthur hit him on the head. | Arthur打了他的头,他摔到了 | 
| [20:27] | Arthur is the only one who loves me. | Arthur是唯一一个爱我的人 | 
| [20:34] | And he killed your first husband? | 而他杀了你第一任丈夫? | 
| [20:38] | You can’t force me to testify against him. | 你不能强迫我作证针对他 | 
| [20:44] | He’s my husband now. | 他是我现在的丈夫 | 
| [20:48] | I don’t have to say a word. | 我不需要说什么 | 
| [20:52] | Right honey? | 对吧,亲爱的? | 
| [21:03] | Well I hope you’re happy. | 好啊,你俩挺美的呀 | 
| [21:04] | What? | 怎么了? | 
| [21:05] | That double lujack, that annulment thing, | 那个婚姻宣告无效的事 | 
| [21:09] | turns out sweet Arthur’s a murderer. | 甜心大叔Arthur原来是个凶手 | 
| [21:11] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? | 
| [21:13] | Well it seems Arthur whacked her first husband | 看起来Arthur用木板条 | 
| [21:15] | with a two-by-four, | 砸死了她的第一任丈夫 | 
| [21:16] | and married her, maybe, | 然后娶了她,或许吧 | 
| [21:18] | so that she could avail herself of spousal privilege | 所以,她可以得益于自己的夫妻法律特权 | 
| [21:20] | and wouldn’t have to testify. | 不必作证 | 
| [21:21] | What? | 什么? | 
| [21:22] | It doesn’t all make sense. | 这完全没道理 | 
| [21:24] | The guy was killed fifteen years ago, | 那家伙15年前就被杀了 | 
| [21:25] | why get married now? | 为什么现在才结婚? | 
| [21:27] | Anyway, the judge annulled the marriage | 不敢怎样,法官宣布婚姻无效 | 
| [21:29] | and referred the matter to Helen Gamble. | 把这事交给了Helen Gamble | 
| [21:32] | You’re helping me on this Bobby, | Bobby,这事你得帮我 | 
| [21:33] | you lujacked me into a murder. | 你把我从lujack的案子弄进一个谋杀案里了 | 
| [21:35] | I lujacked to Lindsay. | 我在和Lindsay一起做lujack的案子 | 
| [21:36] | Fine, then you can both help me. | 好啊,那你俩一起来帮我 | 
| [21:43] | It was a terrible thing. | 这事太恐怖了 | 
| [21:44] | Did you see Stuart Donovan that night? | 当晚你看到Stuart Donovan了吗? | 
| [21:47] | No, I was in Florida visiting my folks that month. | 没有,那个月我在佛罗里达探望我的家人 | 
| [21:50] | That month? You were away a whole month? | 一个月?你一个月都不在? | 
| [21:53] | Mr. Young, my husband was a drunk back then. | Young先生,我丈夫那时是个酒鬼 | 
| [21:56] | There’s no mystery here. | 这不是什么秘密 | 
| [21:58] | The reason we got divorced was | 我们离婚的原因就是 | 
| [21:59] | because I got tired of seeing him passed out | 我看烦了他喝昏过去 | 
| [22:01] | every night at nine o’clock. | 连续六年,每天晚上九点 | 
| [22:02] | He slept in that chair there for six strait years. | 他就睡在那椅子上 | 
| [22:05] | Nine o’clock? | 九点吗? | 
| [22:07] | He said he saw Stuart Donovan between eleven-thirty and twelve. | 他说他在11:30到12点之间看见了Stuart Donovan | 
| [22:10] | Yeah, well. | 嗯,算了吧 | 
| [22:11] | Well what? | 什么算了吧? | 
| [22:13] | I wasn’t here Mr. Young, | Young先生,我当时不在 | 
| [22:14] | I was in Florida. | 我在佛罗里达 | 
| [22:15] | Mrs. Bresler, I’m not going after your ex husband. | Bresler夫人,我不是要针对你的前夫 | 
| [22:17] | I got a guy looking at death in two weeks | 我有一个客户两周后就要因他没有犯下的罪行 | 
| [22:20] | for a crime he didn’t commit. | 而被处决 | 
| [22:21] | He confessed… | 他坦白了。。。 | 
| [22:22] | No he didn’t. | 不,他没有 | 
| [22:26] | Is it possible your ex husband was lying | 有可能你前夫在11:30 | 
| [22:29] | about that eleven-thirty business? | 这个时间问题上撒谎了吗? | 
| [22:33] | I don’t think he would lie. | 我不认为他会撒谎 | 
| [22:34] | But? There was a ‘but’ in your tone. | 但是?我听出你话里有个“但是” | 
| [22:38] | He could have believed it was eleven-thirty | 他不能确定那是11:30 | 
| [22:41] | when it may have been nine. | 那也许是九点 | 
| [22:42] | By that time he would have been twelve sheets to the wind. | 那时,应该早就喝高了 | 
| [22:47] | Why didn’t you tell this to the police? | 你为什么不把这事告诉警察? | 
| [22:49] | I did. | 我说了 | 
| [22:54] | Get this… | 看这个。。。 | 
| [22:55] | Turns out Johnny Carson had a prime-time special on that night. | 原来Johnny Carson在那天晚上有个黄金时段的特别档 | 
| [22:58] | This guy might have thought it was eleven-thirty | 这人也许是把那个当成了11:30档了 | 
| [23:00] | when he saw Johnny Carson on | 当他看到Johnny Carson的节目 | 
| [23:01] | when it was really only nine. | 那时确实才九点 | 
| [23:03] | So we have a bogus eyewitness | 所以我们有一个伪目击证人 | 
| [23:05] | on top of a bogus informant? | 此外还有一个伪告密者? | 
| [23:07] | So what happens? | 所以会怎么样? | 
| [23:08] | They have to order a new trial now, don’t they? | 他们现在必须安排重新审判,不是吗? | 
| [23:10] | No way. | 没门 | 
| [23:11] | How can they not? | 他们怎么可以不呢? | 
| [23:13] | Mary, I haven’t solved the confession thing yet. | Mary,我还没有解决那个坦白的问题 | 
| [23:15] | He only recants if I get him transferred to county jail, | 如果我使他转移到县监狱的话,他才会撤销之前那个声明 | 
| [23:18] | and I haven’t a clue as how to pull that off. | 但如何做到,我一点头绪也没有 | 
| [23:21] | All we have to do is get him to court. | 我们要做的就是传他出庭 | 
| [23:23] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思? | 
| [23:24] | The Curran-Frumhold Facility is used as a lock-up | Curran-Frumhold监狱用于拘押 | 
| [23:27] | for the common-pleas court. | 普通上诉法庭的犯人 | 
| [23:29] | If he could get into court on anything, | 如果我们能找个什么理由让他上庭 | 
| [23:32] | that’s where they’ll hold him. | 他就会被拘押在那里 | 
| [23:37] | It was referred to Helen? | 这事指派给Helen了? | 
| [23:38] | And she wants to talk to them. | 她希望和他们谈谈 | 
| [23:40] | Not a chance. | 不可能 | 
| [23:41] | She implied she might file charges if they don’t talk. | 她暗示说如果他们不谈,她就提出指控 | 
| [23:43] | Let her. It was fifteen years ago. | 随她便,这是15年前的事了 | 
| [23:45] | She’s gonna make murder on the testimony | 她能基于一个患有老年痴呆的证人的证词 | 
| [23:46] | of a witness with Alzheimer’s? | 给一桩15年前的旧案 | 
| [23:48] | For a fifteen year old crime? | 定为谋杀罪? | 
| [23:50] | Good luck. | 祝她好运 | 
| [23:51] | Well, even so, | 好吧,即便如此 | 
| [23:51] | if we can spare them from being put through a trial. | 如果我们能把他们从审判中解脱出来 | 
| [23:53] | This can’t get prosecuted. | 这不会构成起诉的 | 
| [23:55] | Don’t be so sure. | 话别说得太满了 | 
| [23:56] | Helen, thanks for calling first. | Helen,谢谢你先打招呼 | 
| [23:59] | You’re not talking to them. | 你不能和他们交谈 | 
| [24:01] | Bobby, we already have her recorded testimony. | Bobby,我们已经有了她的备案证词 | 
| [24:03] | Oh right, you’ll be sure to get a guilty with that. | 噢,是啊,你肯定会给那定罪的 | 
| [24:05] | Apparently the dead husband used to abuse her. | 显然,她那死去的丈夫总是虐待她。 | 
| [24:08] | Oh, and that means Arthur killed him? | 噢,那就说明Arthur杀了他? | 
| [24:10] | Rebecca, she said he did. | Rebecca,她说是他干的 | 
| [24:12] | Because she has Alzheimer’s. | 因为她是个老年痴呆患者 | 
| [24:13] | And because it’s probably true. | 但也可能那就是事实 | 
| [24:16] | Let me just talk to them. | 就让我和他们谈谈吧 | 
| [24:17] | No way. | 没门 | 
| [24:18] | Then he’ll probably get charged. | 那么他可能会被起诉 | 
| [24:20] | Well we’re not letting you speak to them. | 行了,我们不允许你和他们交谈 | 
| [24:22] | Please don’t make me prosecute a seventy-six year old man. | 拜托别让我起诉一个76岁的老人 | 
| [24:26] | You’re not talking to them. | 你不能和他们交谈 | 
| [24:35] | He’s in the conference room. | 他在会议室里 | 
| [24:36] | You got to be kidding. | 你开什么玩笑? | 
| [24:38] | If I can’t ask her questions here, | 如果我不能在这里问她问题 | 
| [24:40] | I will just do it at a PC hearing. | 我就会在审讯室进行讯问 | 
| [24:43] | Bobby? | Bobby? | 
| [24:44] | No. | 不行 | 
| [24:47] | Okay, let’s go. | 那好,动手吧 | 
| [24:53] | What’s going on? | 发生什么事了? | 
| [24:54] | Don’t say anything Arthur, they’re arresting you. | Arthur,什么也别说,他们来逮捕你 | 
| [24:57] | We’ll take care of it. | 我们会处理的 | 
| [24:58] | Arresting me? | 逮捕我? | 
| [24:59] | I’m gonna go to the precinct with you. | 我要和你一起去分局 | 
| [25:00] | Lindsay and Bobby, they’ll look after Gertrude. | Lindsay and Bobby,他们照料Gertrude。 | 
| [25:02] | Where are they taking him? | 他们要把他带到哪里去? | 
| [25:04] | I’m all right Gertie. Don’t you worry. | 我没事, Gertie,别担心 | 
| [25:07] | You have the right to remain silent. | 你有权力保持沉默 | 
| [25:09] | Anything you say can and will be used against you | 你所说的一切都能够用作为你的 | 
| [25:11] | in a court of law. | 呈堂证供 | 
| [25:12] | You have the right to an attorney | 你有权在受审时请一位律师 | 
| [25:21] | What do you mean new lawyer? | 你说一个新律师是什么意思? | 
| [25:22] | A private defense attorney. | 私人辩护律师 | 
| [25:24] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么? | 
| [25:25] | I’m trying to get you to county, | 我正在试图把你弄到县里去 | 
| [25:27] | and this is how it works | 接下来就是怎么做到: | 
| [25:28] | Your new private attorney will go in | 你的新私人律师会介入 | 
| [25:30] | asking the state to pay your legal fees. | 要求政府支付你的法律费用 | 
| [25:32] | The court’s gonna want to know what’s wrong with your PD | 法庭就会想知道你的PD出了什么问题 | 
| [25:34] | and to get the answer, | 为了得到答案 | 
| [25:36] | they’re gonna need to hear from you. | 他们就会需要你听你解释 | 
| [25:37] | And for that, you’ve got to be there. | 为此,你就到那里了 | 
| [25:40] | You’ll be transported to the Curran-Frumhold Facility | 你会被转移到Curran-Frumhold监狱 | 
| [25:43] | to be available for your evidentiary presentation, | 以便进行提交你的相关证据 | 
| [25:46] | and then after the hearing | 但听证会之后 | 
| [25:47] | you’ll be brought back here. | 你会被带回这里 | 
| [25:48] | This only happens if you give me the statement. | 但只有你给我提供陈述,这些才能进行 | 
| [25:51] | I will. | 我会的 | 
| [25:52] | Well I need it now. | 好吧,我现在就要 | 
| [25:53] | Well you don’t get it now. | 你现在拿不到的 | 
| [25:55] | Not till after I go to Curran. | 直到我到了Curran之后 | 
| [25:57] | This could take some time, Stuart Donovan… | 这会需要些时间,但Stuart Donovan。。。 | 
| [25:59] | Well you know what? | 你知道吗? | 
| [25:59] | I suggest you speed it up | 我建议你加快速度。 | 
| [26:01] | cause I ain’t giving you the statement | 因为我不会给你陈述声明 | 
| [26:02] | until after I go to Curren. | 直到我到了Curren之后 | 
| [26:07] | That’s bad. | 这麻烦了 | 
| [26:08] | The soonest we can get Earl to Curran is ten days. | 最快也需要十天,我们才能把Earl送到Curran监狱 | 
| [26:10] | If we wait that long and strike out | 如果我们等那么长时间再出击 | 
| [26:12] | that leaves us with just four days. | 那就只剩下四天了 | 
| [26:14] | We can’t risk that. | 我们不能冒这个险 | 
| [26:17] | Let’s still go in tomorrow. | 那我们还是明天去吧 | 
| [26:19] | With what? | 用什么理由? | 
| [26:20] | Well, we got the ex wife’s affidavit on the witnesses drinking. | 我们有其前妻对证人醉酒的有关证词 | 
| [26:23] | We got possible prosecutorial misconduct there as well. | 我也可能针对控方的行为不当 | 
| [26:26] | You can also represent, as an officer of the court, | 你还可以提出,做为法庭官员 | 
| [26:29] | that Taylor’s prepared to recant on the confession. | Taylor准备要撤销证词 | 
| [26:31] | I mean that’s got to be enough | 我的意思是差不多够了 | 
| [26:32] | to at least get an order for a DNA test. | 至少得到进行DNA测试的许可 | 
| [26:34] | I, I would like to go in with more then that. | 我,我想得到更多 | 
| [26:36] | Look, you feel guaranteed you’ll get that statement from Taylor? | 你保证能得到Taylor的翻供吗? | 
| [26:41] | Guaranteed, from that guy? | 保证?跟那种家伙? | 
| [26:42] | Hardly. | 很难 | 
| [26:42] | Then we can’t waste ten days banking on him. | 那么我们就不能在他身上浪费十天的时间。 | 
| [26:45] | Lets go in with what we got. | 行动吧,有什么算什么 | 
| [27:01] | Okay, lets do it. | 好吧,行动吧 | 
| [27:06] | I don’t know about conviction, | 关于定罪方面很难讲 | 
| [27:08] | but beating probable cause? | 但推翻“合理的依据”? | 
| [27:10] | That’s a very low threshold. | 却非常容易 | 
| [27:11] | She got confused about things. | 她有些事上犯糊涂了 | 
| [27:14] | Well, what was she confused about? | 她对什么事犯糊涂了? | 
| [27:17] | She said you hit him on the head. | 她说你打了她前夫的头 | 
| [27:19] | Did that come out of nowhere? | 这是无中生有的吗? | 
| [27:21] | Yes. The man fell. | 是的,那男人自己摔倒的 | 
| [27:25] | They’ll probably call her to the stand. | 他们会传她出庭 | 
| [27:27] | No. | 不行 | 
| [27:28] | This is a criminal proceeding, I can’t… | 这是一个刑事诉讼,我不能。。。 | 
| [27:30] | I don’t want her put in the witness chair again. | 我不希望她再次坐到证人席上 | 
| [27:35] | We need to protect her. | 我们需要保护她 | 
| [27:37] | Are you looking to protect her or yourself? | 你是要保护她还是保护你自己? | 
| [27:40] | You think I’m a murderer now, Ms. Washington? | 你现在认为我是个凶手了,Washington女士? | 
| [27:43] | I don’t really know you Mr. Turner. | 我并不真正了解你,Turner先生 | 
| [27:45] | You don’t strike me as being anything but gentle. | 除了温和之外,你并没有什么打动了我 | 
| [27:48] | But as your lawyer, let me tell you, | 但作为你的律师,让我跟你说吧 | 
| [27:50] | they already have her recorded testimony | 他们已经有了她在婚姻诉讼中的 | 
| [27:52] | from the annulment proceeding. | 的证词备案 | 
| [27:53] | They could probably satisfy probable cause with that. | 他们可能对这样“合理的依据”感到满意了 | 
| [27:57] | But they couldn’t convict on it, right? | 但是他们不能根据那个来定罪吧,是吗? | 
| [28:02] | If you’re to avoid a trial, | 如果你想避免被审判 | 
| [28:05] | the best thing is for Gertrude to testify at probable cause | 最有效的就是Gertrude针对“合理的依据”作证 | 
| [28:09] | and say you didn’t do what she said you did, | 说你没有做过她所说的那些事 | 
| [28:12] | that she was confused. | 那是因为她糊涂了 | 
| [28:13] | I don’t want her to testify. | 我不想她出庭作证 | 
| [28:17] | I don’t think you have a choice. | 你别无选择 | 
| [28:25] | May I please the court, | 尊敬的法庭 | 
| [28:26] | my name is Ellenor Frutt | 我叫Ellenor Frutt | 
| [28:27] | and I am joined by my colleagues Eugene Young and James Berluti. | 还有我的同事Eugene Young和James Berluti一起 | 
| [28:30] | We are here representing Stuart Donovan | 我们在这里代表Stuart Donovan | 
| [28:33] | and his petition to get a court ordered DNA test, | 以及他请求法庭下令进行DNA测试 | 
| [28:36] | which test would likely exonerate him of the crime | 那些测试有可能使他免罪 | 
| [28:39] | of which he has been convicted, | 如同那些测试也曾使其获罪 | 
| [28:40] | which conviction has him scheduled for death | 那些定罪使他预定在14天之内 | 
| [28:43] | by lethal injection in fourteen days. | 被实施药物注射处决 | 
| [28:46] | In order for us to prevail, | 要想说服我们 | 
| [28:47] | we must show by clear and convincing evidence | 就必须给我们展示明确和令人信服的证据 | 
| [28:50] | that it would be unreasonable | 但使陪审团判决 | 
| [28:51] | for a jury to have found my client guilty | 我的委托人有罪的那些证据 | 
| [28:54] | under the evidence. | 可能是不合理的 | 
| [28:55] | Before we get to that, | 在讨论你所要求的之前 | 
| [28:56] | you must also show that | 你也必须要证明 | 
| [28:57] | your client’s constitutional rights were violated. | 你的委托人的宪法权利权力遭到了侵犯 | 
| [29:00] | I believe we can make that showing, your honor. | 我相信我们能证明那一点,法官大人 | 
| [29:02] | One of the key eyewitnesses on the case | 本案的一个关键目击证人 | 
| [29:04] | suffered from a very serious drinking problem. | 受到严重酗酒的影响 | 
| [29:06] | That’s exculpatory evidence | 这是可以辨明无罪的证据 | 
| [29:08] | the state failed to turn over to the defense. | 检方并没有就此知会辩方 | 
| [29:10] | This drinking problem was relevant? | 酗酒问题存在关联性吗? | 
| [29:12] | We believe it was your honor, | 我确信有关联,法官大人 | 
| [29:14] | since the events he claimed to have witnessed | 因为他作证声称的事件 | 
| [29:16] | occurred at a time of night | 发生在夜里 | 
| [29:17] | when his capacity for observation | 那时他的观察能力 | 
| [29:19] | was routinely undermined by his inebriated… | 通常被醉酒逐渐削弱。。。 | 
| [29:22] | He was drunk on the night in question? | 他当天晚上喝酒了吗? | 
| [29:23] | According to his ex wife, | 根据他的前妻- | 
| [29:25] | whose affidavit is attached to our memorandum as exhibit D, | 她的宣誓证言做为证据D附在我们的备忘录中- | 
| [29:28] | she said her husband was habitually drunk every night… | 她说她的丈夫每晚习惯性地喝酒。。。 | 
| [29:32] | Can she verify that he was intoxicated on this night? | 她能证明他在当天晚上喝醉了吗? | 
| [29:36] | She wasn’t there, but she’s basing… | 她不在那里,但是她基于。。。 | 
| [29:37] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 | 
| [29:38] | You can verify that the prosecution knew of his drinking problem? | 您可以证明检方知道他的酗酒问题吗? | 
| [29:41] | Yes. Mrs. Bresler told the police | 是的,Bresler夫人告诉了警察 | 
| [29:43] | that her husband was typically passed out | 她的丈夫通常情况下在晚上九点左右 | 
| [29:45] | by nine o’clock every night | 都喝得不省人事 | 
| [29:47] | and that he was quite possibly confused | 因此在他所说的关于我的委托人停车的时间段内 | 
| [29:49] | as to the time he said he saw my client’s car pull up. | 他十分可能是神志不清的 | 
| [29:53] | This was never brought to the attention of the defense, | 这一点从未给提醒辩方 | 
| [29:56] | and accordingly, Mr. Bresler was never cross-examined on it. | 因此,Bresler也就没有受到交叉盘问 | 
| [30:00] | Wasn’t the defense free to discover all this? | 辩方不能自己去发现这一点吗? | 
| [30:03] | The fact that the defense was free to discover it | 即使辩方自己发现了这个问题 | 
| [30:05] | does not absolve the state’s obligation | 也不能免除政府有责任 | 
| [30:07] | to turn over all exculpatory evidence. | 交出所有可用于辨明无罪的证据的义务 | 
| [30:09] | Here they didn’t. | 这个案子中,他们没有尽到义务 | 
| [30:11] | All right counsel, | 好吧,律师 | 
| [30:12] | but we also have a confession in this case… | 但这个案子,我们还有个自白供认。。。 | 
| [30:14] | That confession was tainted, your honor. | 这个自白供认是有污点的 | 
| [30:16] | I spoke to Earl Taylor, | 我和Earl Taylor谈过 | 
| [30:18] | the jailhouse informant who secured that confession, | 他是狱中那个获得自白供认的检举人 | 
| [30:20] | and he indicated to me that that statement was false. | 他对我表示那个陈述是假的 | 
| [30:24] | He also conveyed his willingness to recant it, | 他也表达了他撤回此项陈述的意愿 | 
| [30:26] | as you can see from my affidavit, exhibit F. | 这些你们可以在我提供的证词F部分看到 | 
| [30:29] | That means we have a false confession | 那意味着我们得到的是一个虚假的自白供词 | 
| [30:32] | backed up by very questionable eyewitness testimony, | 加之那个非常有疑问的目击证人 | 
| [30:36] | and these two pieces of evidence | 这两个证据 | 
| [30:38] | represent the prosecution’s case in it’s entirety. | 等同于检方本案的全部 | 
| [30:42] | A lie from a jailhouse snitch, | 一个狱中告密者的谎言 | 
| [30:44] | and the observations of an intoxicated alcoholic. | 一个酩酊大醉的酗酒者的观察 | 
| [30:48] | That’s it. | 就是这个 | 
| [30:49] | Plus a blood match. | 加之血型是匹配 | 
| [30:51] | Well do we? | 我们做对了吗? | 
| [30:52] | That’s why we’re here, | 这就是我们在这里的原因 | 
| [30:53] | to seek confirmation of the blood match. | 寻求对血型匹配的再次确认 | 
| [30:56] | There was no DNA technology twelve years ago, | 12年前没有DNA技术 | 
| [30:59] | but we now have the ability to run a dispositive test, | 但现在我们有能力进行一次具有决定性意义的测试 | 
| [31:03] | and that’s what we’re asking for. | 这就是我们正在要求的 | 
| [31:05] | Stuart Donovan is scheduled for death. | Stuart Donovan已经预定要被处决 | 
| [31:09] | We’re asking for a test | 我们要求一个 | 
| [31:10] | that would take only hours to see | 只需要花上一个小时的测试 | 
| [31:12] | if we are about to execute the right man. | 来确定我们是否处决对了人 | 
| [31:15] | We’re not petitioning that you set him free. | 我不是在请求你们放了他 | 
| [31:18] | We are not asking for a new trial. | 我们也不是在请求重审 | 
| [31:21] | Just one little test. | 只是一个小的测试 | 
| [31:29] | You said yesterday that Arthur | 你昨天说Arthur | 
| [31:31] | had hit your late husband over the head. | 打过你已故丈夫的头 | 
| [31:34] | At least that’s what you implied. | 至少你是这么暗示的 | 
| [31:36] | Is that what happened? | 那是怎么回事? | 
| [31:38] | I take the fifth commandment. | 我援引第五修正案 | 
| [31:41] | You can’t take a commandment in here ma’am. | 你不能在这里用这个,夫人 | 
| [31:44] | My client has asserted her Fifth Amendment rights. | 我得委托人已经宣称她援引了第五修正案 | 
| [31:46] | She’s not being charged with anything. | 她又没有被指控什么罪名 | 
| [31:47] | Doesn’t matter, | 没关系 | 
| [31:48] | she’s allowed to assert her Fifth Amendment rights | 当可能面临刑事指控时, | 
| [31:50] | when there’s the prospect of criminal charges. | 她应被允许援引她的第五修正案权力 | 
| [31:52] | The commonwealth has no intention of… | 联邦并无意于。。。 | 
| [31:54] | She was there the time of the accident, | 事故发生的时候她在那儿 | 
| [31:55] | possible accessory charges. | 可能会被指控为同谋 | 
| [31:57] | Your honor, I’d ask the court to grant the witness immunity. | 法官大人,我请求法庭给予证人豁免权 | 
| [31:59] | She doesn’t want immunity. | 她不想要什么豁免 | 
| [32:00] | Your honor, this is hard enough. | 法官大人,这也太难办了吧 | 
| [32:02] | I agree. Councils, take your seats. | 我同意,律师,你们坐下 | 
| [32:07] | Mrs. Turner, | Turner夫人 | 
| [32:08] | I’m granting you full immunity against prosecution. | 我给予你完全豁免权 | 
| [32:11] | Which means you won’t be arrested for anything you say here. | 那意味着你在这里说什么也不会因此被逮捕 | 
| [32:14] | I want you to answer Ms. Gamble’s questions. | 我希望你回答Gamble女士的问题 | 
| [32:17] | Don’t do it Gertie. | 别理她,Gertie | 
| [32:18] | Mr. Turner. | Turner先生! | 
| [32:20] | He’s my husband, I don’t have to testify. | 他是我的丈夫,我不必作证 | 
| [32:24] | No, your marriage was annulled. | 不,你的婚姻已经宣布无效 | 
| [32:33] | All right, council and the witness in chambers, please. | 这样吧,请律师和证人庭内商议 | 
| [32:38] | Mrs. Stevens, you too. | Stevens夫人,你也来 | 
| [32:43] | Whether or not a witness had a drinking problem | 证人是否喝醉了的问题 | 
| [32:45] | is a collateral issue, | 是枝节的问题 | 
| [32:46] | certainly not one which would fall… | 当然了,没有谁会摔。。。 | 
| [32:48] | Why didn’t you tell the defense about it? | 你为什么不把这件事告诉辩方? | 
| [32:50] | I’m not sure we didn’t, | 我不确定我们没有进行告知, | 
| [32:52] | but assuming we didn’t, | 但假设我们没有进行告知 | 
| [32:54] | that goes to impeachment only. | 那也仅仅是构成怀疑 | 
| [32:55] | That wasn’t evidence. | 而不是证据 | 
| [32:57] | More over, knowing of Mr. Bresler’s problem, | 更重要的是,即使知道Bresler先生的酗酒问题 | 
| [33:00] | a reasonable jury still could have chosen to believe him. | 一个明白事理的陪审团依然会选择相信他 | 
| [33:03] | What about the confession? | 关于自白供词呢? | 
| [33:05] | The state still stands by the confession. | 政府仍然坚持这个自白供述 | 
| [33:07] | Defense is now trying to bribe the informant | 辩方现在试图对检举人行贿 | 
| [33:10] | into recanting the statement he gave. | 使其撤销他提供的陈述 | 
| [33:11] | I object to that. | 我反对! | 
| [33:12] | May it please the court, | 请法庭允许我。。。 | 
| [33:14] | Mr. Taylor contacted our office | Taylor先生联系了我的办公室 | 
| [33:16] | and informed us of Ms. Frutt’s attempts. | 告诉我们Frutt女士想干什么 | 
| [33:19] | We outfitted him with a wire. | 我们给他戴了窃听装置 | 
| [33:22] | She promised to try to get him transferred to a county facility | 她许诺说会把他转移到县级监狱 | 
| [33:26] | in exchange for him recanting the statement | 做为交换条件,他要撤回 | 
| [33:28] | concerning Mr. Donovan’s confession. | 有关Donovan先生坦白的陈述 | 
| [33:30] | If you please. | 可以的话。。。 | 
| [33:32] | This is how it works | 是这样运作的。 | 
| [33:34] | Your new private attorney will go in | 你的新私人律师会介入 | 
| [33:35] | asking the state to pay your legal fees. | 要求政府支付你的法律费用 | 
| [33:38] | The court’s gonna want to know | 法庭会想知道 | 
| [33:39] | what’s wrong with your PD | 你的PD出了什么问题 | 
| [33:40] | and to get the answer, | 为了得到答案 | 
| [33:41] | they’re gonna need to hear from you. | 他们就会需要听你解释 | 
| [33:43] | And for that, you’ve got to be there. | 那么,你就会转送到那里 | 
| [33:45] | You’ll be transported to the Curran-Frumhold Facility | 你会被转送到Curran-Frumhold监狱 | 
| [33:48] | to be available for your evidentiary presentation, | 以便进行提交你的相关证据 | 
| [33:50] | and then after the hearing | 在那之后 | 
| [33:51] | you’ll be brought back here. | 你会被带回来 | 
| [33:53] | May I respond to that, your honor? | 我能对此回复吗?法官大人? | 
| [33:55] | I would hope you would. | 你希望你解释一下 | 
| [34:03] | Yes, I offered to help the informant | 没错,我为检举人提供帮助 | 
| [34:06] | in exchange for him telling the truth. | 去换取他说出事实 | 
| [34:09] | Just as the prosecution was free to play ball with him, | 正如控方和他随意玩把戏一样 | 
| [34:12] | offering him a reduced prison term | 给他减刑的条件 | 
| [34:14] | in exchange for his testimony, | 换取他的证词 | 
| [34:15] | so too am I free to make a deal. | 所以我也可以进行自由交易 | 
| [34:18] | I was not suborning perjury. | 可我不是在行贿获取伪证 | 
| [34:20] | Are you suggesting I was? | 你是暗示说我是吗? | 
| [34:21] | All I am suggesting is that Mr. Taylor is a liar… | 我的意思就是,Taylor是个骗子。。。 | 
| [34:24] | And better that he lie for you? | 如果他为你撒谎那就好了? | 
| [34:26] | This informant is a professional witness. | 这个检举人是一个职业证人 | 
| [34:29] | He has gotten three of his own sentences cut down | 他通过三次不同的告密 | 
| [34:32] | by getting three different confessions. | 使自己的判刑减轻过三次 | 
| [34:33] | Who’s kidding who here? | 这里是谁忽悠谁呀? | 
| [34:34] | All right. | 好了 | 
| [34:38] | I would remind the court we are not asking you to stay an execution. | 我要提醒法庭,我们不是要求你们推迟处决 | 
| [34:43] | We are not asking for a mistrial, or a new trial. | 我们也不是要求无效审判或者重审 | 
| [34:47] | We are not begging you to commute a sentence or to show leniency. | 我们也不是恳求你们减刑或宽大处理 | 
| [34:51] | Just a test, one that will tell us the truth. | 只是一个测试,一个可以告诉我们事实的测试 | 
| [34:56] | And given the incredibly sketchy evidence | 况且考虑到他的定罪是基于 | 
| [34:59] | that’s the basis of his conviction, | 这些粗略到令人难以置信的证据 | 
| [35:01] | how can any system, that purports to offer even an appearance | 一个标榜自己旨在揭示事实真相的体系 | 
| [35:05] | of being about the truth, not say yes. | 怎么能对此事(做一个测试)说不? | 
| [35:08] | The state lost the rape kit. | 政府遗失了强奸相关证物 | 
| [35:12] | They lost it. | 他们给弄丢了 | 
| [35:13] | They didn’t even bother to look for it. | 他们一点也不想费神去找 | 
| [35:16] | We hunted for it, we dug it out, | 我们去寻找它,我们把它挖出来 | 
| [35:18] | we found it, | 我们找到的 | 
| [35:19] | and now all we’re asking is that you test it. | 而现在,我们所要求的就是,你们要对其进行测试 | 
| [35:22] | That isn’t much. | 这不过分 | 
| [35:23] | It’s certainly a lot less work then executing a man. | 比对一个人实施处决要简单很多 | 
| [35:38] | I know you love Arthur, but ma’am, | 我知道你爱Arthur,但是夫人 | 
| [35:41] | I’m sure you loved your late husband too, didn’t you? | 我也确信你也爱你的亡夫,不是吗? | 
| [35:44] | Oh god no. | 上帝呀,不是 | 
| [35:47] | He hit me, Frank did. | 他打我,Frank打我 | 
| [35:50] | Glad he died, truth be told. | 说实话,他死了我高兴 | 
| [35:52] | Okay. Did Arthur kill him? | 好吧,Arthur杀的他? | 
| [35:57] | Can you take us back to that day? | 你能带我们一起回忆那一天吗? | 
| [36:03] | I don’t want to go back to that day. | 我不想回忆 | 
| [36:05] | We need you to. | 我们需要你这样做 | 
| [36:12] | Frank was at me like everyday. | Frank像往日一样 | 
| [36:17] | Yelling this and that. | 冲着我大喊大叫 | 
| [36:21] | I told him before, | 我以前告诉过他 | 
| [36:24] | “you take your hand to me again” | “你再打我试试” | 
| [36:28] | and he did. | 但他还是打了 | 
| [36:30] | Right across the face like so many times before. | 跟以前很多次一样,打我耳光 | 
| [36:37] | And I…saw it there. | 这时我看到了。。。 | 
| [36:44] | You saw what? | 看到什么? | 
| [36:46] | The board. Laying on the counter. | 木板,放在柜台上 | 
| [36:52] | I just…picked it up. | 我,捡起木板 | 
| [36:55] | You picked it up? | 是你捡起木板的? | 
| [36:58] | Yeah I did. I told him, | 是的,我做的,我警告过他 | 
| [37:02] | “you take your hand to me” | “你再打我的话” | 
| [37:11] | I didn’t mean to kill him, just swat him down. | 我不是想杀了他,只是想把他拍翻 | 
| [37:19] | You hit your husband? | 你打了你的丈夫吗? | 
| [37:22] | And Arthur came in and said “we’ll just say he fell” | Arthur这时进来,说“我们就说他是摔到的” | 
| [37:28] | Mom… | 妈妈。。。 | 
| [37:35] | I’m sorry Claire. | Claire,对不起 | 
| [37:40] | I killed your daddy. | 你杀了你的爸爸 | 
| [37:46] | What, why did you say Arthur did it? | 这。。。你为什么要说Arthur做的? | 
| [37:52] | Sometimes I think he did. | 有时我觉得是他做的 | 
| [38:01] | I get confused. | 我有些糊涂 | 
| [38:07] | I think | 我觉得 | 
| [38:11] | “how could I have…” | “我怎么能。。。” | 
| [38:26] | I did… | 我干的。。。 | 
| [38:51] | She says she killed him. | 她说她杀了他 | 
| [38:57] | Did she? | 是吗? | 
| [39:08] | I don’t understand. | 我不能理解 | 
| [39:14] | She started talking about it. | 她开始偶尔谈到这些 | 
| [39:20] | I had to get her out of that home before she got herself into trouble. | 我必须要在她给自己惹出麻烦前把她从疗养院弄出去 | 
| [39:26] | So that’s why you married her, | 所以你和她结婚 | 
| [39:28] | to get her out before she said too much? | 在她说漏嘴之前带她出去? | 
| [39:33] | That and I love her. | 那也是因为我爱她 | 
| [39:37] | What are they gonna do to her? | 他们打算怎么处理她? | 
| [39:40] | Nothing. | 没事 | 
| [39:41] | She’s got immunity, remember? | 她被豁免了,记得不? | 
| [39:45] | So what happens? | 怎么回事? | 
| [39:46] | You’re free to go. | 你没事了可以走了 | 
| [39:48] | You can take her home if you want. | 如果你愿意的话,你能带她回家 | 
| [39:54] | Where is she? | 她在哪里? | 
| [40:01] | Gertie. | Gertie | 
| [40:09] | They got me to tell. | 他们逼我说的 | 
| [40:12] | I’m gonna take you home sweetheart. | 我会带你回家的,宝贝 | 
| [40:15] | You’re not mad at me? | 你不是在生我的气吗? | 
| [40:18] | Hey, I love you. | 嘿,我爱你 | 
| [40:34] | Be seated. | 就座吧 | 
| [40:38] | It is the opinion of this court | 以下是法庭的观点 | 
| [40:40] | that Stuart Donovan’s constitutional rights were violated | Stuart Donovan的宪法权力受到了侵犯 | 
| [40:44] | by the District Attorney’s failure to provide defense council | 理由是地区检察官没有尽责地将有关Bresler先生 | 
| [40:47] | with the information concerning Mr. Bresler’s drinking problems. | 酗酒问题的信息提供给辩方律师 | 
| [40:51] | Certainly, armed with this information, | 可以肯定的是,如果得到这条信息, | 
| [40:54] | a jury might have been more inclined to | 陪审团会更倾向于 | 
| [40:57] | disbelieve this material witness. | 不相信这位重要证人 | 
| [40:59] | As for the informant’s statement concerning Mr. Donovan’s confession, | 关于检举人有关Donovan先生自白的陈述 | 
| [41:05] | that too is certainly in doubt. | 也肯定存在疑点 | 
| [41:10] | The standard for this court, however, | 然而,本法院的标准是, | 
| [41:12] | is whether a reasonable jury could have found the defendant guilty. | 陪审团认定被告有罪是否是有理由的? | 
| [41:17] | While we feel the jury in this case, | 我们认为这个案子的陪审团 | 
| [41:20] | given all this new information, | 基于这些新的信息 | 
| [41:22] | quite likely would have returned with a verdict of not guilty, | 很可能会带着无罪的判决回来 | 
| [41:27] | we’re not persuaded that they could not have reasonably | 但同样我们也不能确定 | 
| [41:30] | returned with a guilty just the same. | 陪审团做出有罪判决是不合理的 | 
| [41:36] | The petitioner’s request for a DNA test is therefore denied. | 上诉人的关于DNA测试的请求因此被驳回 | 
| [41:40] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 |