时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:04] | He’s on death row in Pennsylvania. | 他在宾夕法尼亚州监狱的死囚室里 |
[00:06] | He’s to be executed in five weeks. | 他五周内将被处决 |
[00:08] | He’s convicted of raping and killing his girlfriend, Alisha Kerns, | 他的定罪是强奸并杀害了他的女友,Alisha Kerns |
[00:12] | then killing her mother. | 然后杀了她的妈妈 |
[00:13] | Any DNA? | 有DNA证据吗? |
[00:15] | They didn’t do full DNA analysis back then. | 那时他们没有做过完整的DNA分析 |
[00:17] | This is Ellenor Frutt. | 这是Ellenor Frutt |
[00:19] | Hello. | 你好 |
[00:20] | She says you can do something, can you really? | 她说你能够做些什么,真的吗? |
[00:22] | We are trying to get the DNA test in order to prove that he’s innocent | 我们争取做DNA测试,是为了证明他是无辜的 |
[00:25] | but we can’t get that test unless we prove that he’s innocent first? | 但除非我们先证明他是无辜的, 否则我们就得不到这个测试 |
[00:29] | Right. | 没错 |
[00:30] | How the hell can that be? | 这他妈的算怎么回事? |
[00:31] | Can you think of anybody else | 你考虑过有没有别的人 |
[00:33] | who may have wanna harm your daughter or your wife? | 会想伤害你女儿或你的妻子吗? |
[00:35] | They got the real killer, Mr. Berluti. | 他们抓到了真正的凶手,Berluti先生 |
[00:38] | Your testimony was especially powerful, you said that he confessed to you. | 但你的证词特别有力,你说他向你承认了 |
[00:42] | What do you want from me? | 你希望我做什么? |
[00:43] | A statement saying that you lied, that he never confessed. | 一个承认你撒谎的声明,声明Stuart Donovan没有坦白过 |
[00:46] | You can be sure it was Stuart Donavan you saw going to the house? | 你能确定你看到Stuart Donovan走进那房子吗? |
[00:49] | It was between 11:30 and 12. | 那是在11点半到12点之间 |
[00:51] | My husband was a drunk back then. | 我丈夫那时是个酒鬼 |
[00:53] | He could’ve believed it was 11:30 when it may have been 9. | 他不能确定那是11:30,那也许是九点 |
[00:57] | Well, we feel the jury in this case, | 我们认为这个案子的陪审团 |
[00:59] | given all these new information | 基于这些新的信息 |
[01:01] | quite likely would have returned with a verdict of not guilty. | 很可能会带着无罪的判决回来 |
[01:05] | We are not persuaded that | 但同样我们也不能确定 |
[01:06] | they could not have reasonably returned with the guilty just the same. | 陪审团做出有罪判决是不合理的 |
[01:11] | The petitioner’s request for a DNA test is therefore denied. | 上诉人的关于DNA测试的请求因此被驳回 |
[01:15] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 |
[01:20] | You’ve got to be kidding. | 你开玩笑吧 |
[01:22] | This is a matter of life and death. | 这是一个生与死的问题 |
[01:23] | I am sorry, without an appointment there is really not … | 抱歉,没有预约,这实在是不行。。。 |
[01:25] | I have been trying to make an appointment. | 我已经试图预约了 |
[01:27] | You offered me one of two days in July, | 你们约在7月的某一天 |
[01:30] | by that time Stuart Donovan will be dead. | 到那时,Stuart Donovany就已经被处决了 |
[01:33] | Ms. Frutt, the Governor did consider your request, | Frutt女士,州长考虑了你的要求 |
[01:35] | and as far as… | 但据。。。 |
[01:36] | I don’t mean to be rude. But I don’t believe he did. | 我不是故意无礼的。但我不相信他考虑了 |
[01:38] | Because from everything I’ve read about him | 因为我从各方面来解读他 |
[01:40] | he is not only intelligent but he is extremely fair minded. | 他不仅睿智而且他非常公正 |
[01:43] | And there is no way he would’ve denied this reprieve | 他绝对不会拒绝缓刑的 |
[01:45] | had he considered the facts of… | 他考虑过事实吗? |
[01:47] | I assure you he did. | 我向你保证他考虑过了 |
[01:49] | I’d like to hear from him. | 我想听他亲口说 |
[01:50] | Ms. Mathers, I am asking for 30 seconds’ of his time | Mathers女士,我只要求他抽出30秒的时间 |
[01:52] | and after that you can have me escorted out. | 然后你就可以把我轰出去了 |
[01:55] | How would this administration run, Ms. Frutt, | 如果我们给每个闯进这里 |
[01:57] | if we were to give 30 seconds to every attorney | 要求缓刑的律师30秒的时间 |
[01:59] | who marched in here looking to stay an execution. | 这让政府机关如何运作呀,Frutt女士 |
[02:03] | Actually I think it would run just fine. | 实际上我想那会运行地很好的 |
[02:05] | This is the second execution in four years. | 这只是四年中第二次处决 |
[02:08] | One minutes in four years isn’t likely to cripple his administration. | 四年内的一分钟不可能使他的政府部门瘫痪 |
[02:12] | I am afraid I have to ask you to leave. | 恐怕我不得不请你离开了 |
[02:16] | Could you give him this note? | 你能把这个便条交给他吗? |
[02:19] | I am afraid I can’t, I am sorry. | 恐怕我做不到,抱歉 |
[02:21] | Could you pass on a gesture? | 你能传递一个手势吗? |
[02:24] | Your 30 seconds with me are up. | 你和我的30秒到时了 |
[02:31] | Since 1985, nation wild, | 自从1985年以来,政府日趋野蛮 |
[02:34] | there have been at least 10 botched executions by lethal injection. | 至少搞砸了10起注射死刑 |
[02:38] | Mr. Berluti, what is the basis of this petition? | Berluti先生,这份请愿书上诉状的基调是? |
[02:41] | That to subject my client to lethal injection | 主题是我的委托人被实施注射死刑 |
[02:43] | would have amount to cruel and unusual punishment | 会等同于施予残酷且不寻常的惩罚 |
[02:45] | given the likelihood that the… | 考虑到可能。。。 |
[02:46] | Counsel, for us to order that DNA test | 律师,在向我们要求进行DNA测试时 |
[02:49] | you have to show that a reasonable jury couldn’t have found your client guilty. | 你必须要证明一个理性的陪审团不会判你的委托人有罪 |
[02:54] | We went through all that last week. | 我们上周完成了所有这些工作。 |
[02:56] | We turned you down, what’s changed in the last nine days? | 我们拒绝了你,在过去的九天里有什么变化吗? |
[03:00] | Well, Your Honour, I thought perhaps the court turned us down | 是的,法官大人,我考虑到法庭拒绝了我们 |
[03:03] | mainly on the constitutional grounds. | 也许主要是出于宪法方面的理由 |
[03:05] | That’s why we’ve come back today with stronger constitutional grounds | 这就是为什么我们今天 带着更强有力的宪法理由回到这里的原因 |
[03:10] | that being the eighth amendment: | 那就是第八修正案 |
[03:12] | cruel and unusual punishment. | 禁止施予残酷且不寻常的惩罚 |
[03:13] | The petition is denied and defence counsel is fined a thousand dollars. | 上诉被驳回,辩方律师被给予1000美金的罚款 |
[03:19] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 |
[03:22] | Wait a second, | 等一下 |
[03:23] | we are trying to save an innocent man from being put to death, | 我们在努力拯救一个将被处死的无辜者 |
[03:26] | and you are fining me now a thousand dollars? | 而你现在对我罚款1000美金? |
[03:29] | I am, sir. | 是的,先生 |
[03:30] | You’re here with nothing new. | 你没有提出任何新东西 |
[03:33] | Taking up the time of a District Attorney, three federal judges | 浪费了一个地方检察官,三个联邦法官的时间 |
[03:36] | not to mention all the court employees. | 更不用说所有其他法庭员工的时间 |
[03:39] | And the fine is going up to 1500 if you say another word. | 如果你再多说一个字,罚金将升至1500美金 |
[03:42] | Suppose the tubes close like they have in the past, | 假设如同他们以往那样,注射管堵了 |
[03:44] | I am not entitled to be concerned about that? | 我无权对此有所顾虑吗? |
[03:46] | The court will allow, counsel, to inspect the execution as the equipment. | 法庭将允许律师从去检查有关处决的设备状况 |
[03:51] | The fine is now 1500. | 现在罚金是1500美金 |
[03:59] | 听写:诸如 | |
[04:49] | Okay, great, thank you. | 好的,太好了,谢谢你 |
[04:54] | Okay, Lucy, Joe Bullock, prisoner informant, | 好吧,Lucy,Joe Bullock,囚犯检举人 |
[04:57] | supposedly Earl Taylor’s mentor, | 估计是Earl Taylor的启蒙老师 |
[04:59] | he told him everything he knows. | 他把所有他知道的都告诉我了 |
[05:01] | I’d like you to go and see if you could find out | 我希望你去一下看是否可以发现 |
[05:03] | how Earl learned the details of crime. | Earl是如何了解到犯罪细节的 |
[05:05] | You want me to meet with him? | 你想让我去和他见面? |
[05:07] | Evidently he has a thing for young girls. | 显而易见,他对年轻女孩有些意思 |
[05:09] | Forget it. | 没门儿 |
[05:10] | You will be separated by a partition. | 你会和他分隔开来的 |
[05:12] | You just have to go and talk to him. | 你只需去那里和他谈谈 |
[05:14] | Do I have to? | 必须我去? |
[05:16] | No. | 不 |
[05:18] | But you might be our best shot. | 但你或许是我们的杀手锏 |
[05:21] | The clothes. | 衣服 |
[05:23] | Excuse me. | 你说什么? |
[05:24] | Alisha Kerns was raped and killed while wearing a night shirt. | Alisha Kerns被奸杀的时候穿着衬衫睡衣 |
[05:28] | So? | 那么? |
[05:29] | So there is nothing in here about it ever being tested, | 那么说这些衣物未曾被检测过 |
[05:33] | all the semen was came from the rape kit’s swab. | 所有的精液都是来自于强奸相关证物 |
[05:36] | So what? | 那又怎么样? |
[05:37] | Well, the rape kit was introduced to trial | 你想,强奸相关证物包被列入审判证物 |
[05:39] | that’s why they say it’s not new evidence. | 那就是为什么他们能宣称没有新的证据 |
[05:41] | The night shirt, that was never introduced, | 这件睡衣,从未被列入 |
[05:43] | we can make the argument that would be new evidence. | 我们能辩称这是新的证物 |
[05:46] | It was never tested, maybe there is something on it. | 它从未被检测过,也许那里有些发现 |
[05:49] | Where would the night shirt be? | 这件睡衣在哪里? |
[05:59] | She probably went to the coroner with it. | 她可能是穿着它被送到法医那里的 |
[06:11] | We sent it to the mortuary. | 我们把它送到太平间 |
[06:13] | The night shirt. | 这睡衣呢 |
[06:14] | That’s what it says: | 这上面说的是: |
[06:17] | the father of the victim requested that we sent it along with the body to the mortuary. | 被害人的父亲要求我们把它和尸体一并送去太平间 |
[06:22] | Why the hell would he request that? | 他为什么提那个见鬼的要求? |
[06:24] | Kerns, he must be Jewish. | Kerns,他肯定是犹太人 |
[06:30] | What? | 为什么? |
[06:31] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[06:31] | It’s an ancient Jewish custom, | 这是一个古老的犹太习俗 |
[06:34] | let the victim of a violent crime be buried in the clothes they died in. | 让暴力犯罪的受害人安葬时穿着死时的衣服 |
[06:39] | It’s thought to arouse compassion in god and hasten the end of the exile. | 它被认为唤起了上帝的同情,加速放逐过程的结束。 |
[06:44] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[06:46] | She was buried in the night shirt, it’s in the coffin. | 她穿着睡衣被安葬,睡衣在棺材里 |
[07:13] | What are you? 15? | 你干什么的?15岁? |
[07:16] | If you could help me, sir, | 如果你能帮我的忙,先生 |
[07:17] | Stuart Donovan is scheduled for execution the day after tomorrow… | Stuart Donovan计划在后天被处决。。。 |
[07:20] | Show me a little something before we get started. | 我们开始前,给我看点什么吧 |
[07:23] | I am not gonna flash you. | 我可不打算露给你看 |
[07:27] | I am told that you know how Earl Taylor got the details on Stuart Donovan’s case. | 我被告知说你知道Earl Taylor 是如何得知Stuart Donovan案的细节的 |
[07:31] | Show me one of your tity. | 让我看看你的一个乳房 |
[07:32] | Mr. Bullock, I am here ask… | Bullock先生,我到这里是请。。。 |
[07:33] | One little tity will speak volumes. | 看一个小乳房我就开口 |
[07:34] | You give I give, little miss, | 你付出,我也付出,小姐 |
[07:36] | that’s the way justice works. | 那是公正的规矩 |
[07:39] | Now you say somebody’s life is at stake. | 你现在说某个人的生命危在旦夕 |
[07:42] | You tell me what you know and I will decide how much I show you. | 你告诉我你所知道的,我来决定让你看多少 |
[07:46] | Booty upfront, that’s the way it works. | 战利品要预付,那是规矩 |
[07:49] | Goodbye, Mr. Bullock. | 再见,Bullock先生 |
[07:50] | Wait wait, no no, wait. | 等一下,不,不,等等 |
[07:53] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[08:01] | He got the facts about the murder by calling the coroner’s office | 他打电话给验尸官办公室,了解了谋杀的真相。 |
[08:05] | pretending to be a police officer, | 通过假扮成一个警官 |
[08:07] | it ain’t hard, most are stupid. | 这并不难,但更多是愚蠢的 |
[08:09] | He calls an inmate reception centre, | 他打电话给犯人接待中心 |
[08:11] | to get the skinny on the purp, | 故意套取一些非公开信息 |
[08:13] | pretending to be a bail bondsman. | 通过假扮成保释代理人 |
[08:15] | Next he calls the DA’s record room, | 接下来,他给地区检察院档案室 |
[08:19] | posing as an asassistant District Attorney. | 这次是冒充一个助理检察官 |
[08:22] | It’s all you need to find out anything about any crime. | 这就是你了解任何一个刑事案件所要做的 |
[08:27] | You can get all these on a phone from prison? | 你们能从监狱里通过电话得到这一切? |
[08:31] | Fifteen minutes, I’ve seem Earl do it less. | 15分钟,我看Earl都没有这么久 |
[08:34] | All right, lady, tity show time. | 好了,女士,该给看看你的乳房了 |
[08:44] | That’s it? Stomach? | 这是啥?胃? |
[08:46] | Bye Joe. | Joe,再见 |
[08:47] | What? I give you everything and you give me stomach? | 搞什么?我全都告诉你了,你却给我看了胃? |
[08:51] | Man… | 拜托。。。 |
[08:54] | You want to what? | 你想要什么? |
[08:56] | A court order allowing us to exhume the body of Alisha Kerns. | 一个许可我们对Alisha Kerns开棺验尸的法庭命令 |
[08:59] | Your Honour denied our request to have the rape kit tested | 法官大人驳回了我们对强奸证物的测试请求 |
[09:02] | because it was old evidence. | 是因为那是旧的证物 |
[09:04] | The night shirt in the casket is new evidence. | 棺材里的这件睡衣是新的证物 |
[09:06] | How is that new evidence? | 什么样的新证物? |
[09:08] | It was no secret Alisha Kerns was wearing a night shirt | 在犯罪当晚,众所周知 |
[09:10] | on the night of the crime | Alisha Kerns穿着一件睡衣 |
[09:12] | with due diligence Mr. Donovan’s lawyers could have tracked it down years ago. | 如果尽职尽责的话, Donovan先生的律师多年前应该可以调查此事 |
[09:15] | It was not foreseeable | 谁能预见到 |
[09:17] | that the victim would be buried in the night shirt she died in | 依照古代犹太人习俗,受害人穿着死时的睡衣下葬? |
[09:20] | in accordance with an ancient Jewish custom. | 受害人会穿着死时的睡衣下葬? |
[09:22] | And with the existence of the rape kit, | 加之强奸相关证物的存在 |
[09:24] | there was never a need to go looking for it. | 从不需要去寻找这件睡衣 |
[09:27] | I would submit that we have a right to post conviction discovery. | 我将提出我方有权进行定罪后证据开示的主张 |
[09:31] | Under exceptional circumstances. | 那是要在特殊情况下 |
[09:33] | Stuart Donovan is about to be put to death, | Stuart Donovan就要被处死了 |
[09:34] | if that is not exceptional circumstances… | 如果那不算特殊情况。。。 |
[09:37] | You don’t know there is DNA on that night shirt. | 你不知道睡衣上有没有DNA存在 |
[09:39] | If there is not, what are you afraid of? | 如果那里没有,你怕什么? |
[09:41] | You still get to execute him | 你还是可以处决他 |
[09:42] | and you don’t have to cancel your party plans. | 你也不必取消你的茶会了 |
[09:43] | I direct the court to Commonwealth versus Cleveland, | 我提醒法庭参照联邦诉Cleveland案的判例 |
[09:47] | the court of appeals denied defendant’s motion for exhumation | 上诉法庭驳回了被告的开棺验尸动议 |
[09:50] | because the existence of the evidence saw was speculated and uncertain. | 因为证据是否尚存的问题,是不确定的和仅凭推测的 |
[09:54] | Cleveland involved looking for trace of gunpowder residue, | 但Cleveland案涉及到的是火药残留物 |
[09:58] | that’s nowhere near the scientific certainty of DNA. | 这和DNA物证的确定性和科学性相距甚远 |
[10:01] | Your Honour, this crosses a line. | 法官大人,这太过分了 |
[10:04] | They are looking to desecrate a grave | 他们在指望玷污墓穴 |
[10:06] | and victimize Mr. Kerns yet one more time. | 并使Kerns先生再受一次伤害 |
[10:09] | I object to that. | 我反对这种说法 |
[10:10] | I’d also like to point out that the prosecution of Stuart Donovan | 我也想指出,对Stuart Donovan的起诉 |
[10:13] | has now cost the taxer payer’s over one million dollars. | 现在已经花费了超过100万美金纳税人的钱 |
[10:17] | They had a trial; they had an appeal; | 他们得到了审判,他们也得到了上诉 |
[10:20] | they have since gone on to the state’s supreme court, | 自他们去过州最高法院、 |
[10:22] | the federal circuit court; | 联邦巡回法院以来, |
[10:23] | they’ve come back to you twice, | 他们回来找过您两次 |
[10:25] | they’ve gone to the United State Supreme Court. | 他们还去了联邦最高法院 |
[10:27] | For every one of these Hail Mary’s, | 为了应付他们那一堆Mary们 |
[10:29] | the District Attorney’s office must file brief, we must show up. | 地区检察院必须归档简报,我们也必须接待 |
[10:32] | We are now going on 13 years for over a million dollars, | 我们折腾了13年,花了超过100万美金 |
[10:35] | now they come in looking to dig up the victim | 现在他们跑来要挖出被害人 |
[10:37] | where in god’s name does it stop? | 看在上帝的份上,什么时候算个完呀? |
[10:39] | With one simple DNA test. | 一次简单的DNA测试就完事 |
[10:41] | All right. | 好了 |
[10:43] | The night shirt may very well be new evidence, | 睡衣可能是很适合做为新物证的 |
[10:47] | but there is no offer before me | 但是没有实物摆在我面前 |
[10:49] | that it even contains any DNA evidence much less exculpatory. | 可能甚至一点DNA也没有,更别说去证明无罪了 |
[10:54] | Because nobody looked. | 那是因为没有人看过 |
[10:56] | Even so, under Cleveland, I can’t reopen on speculation. | 即使如此,在Cleveland判例基础上, 我不能凭着推断重开调查 |
[11:00] | And that’s all you’re bargaining with. | 那就是你讨价还价所要得到的 |
[11:03] | Your motion is denied. | 你的动议被否决 |
[11:19] | We’re still trying. | 我们仍然在努力 |
[11:21] | Lucy got some information on Earl Tylor how he gets his information. | Lucy得到了一些有关Earl Tylor如何收集信息的情况 |
[11:27] | And we are gonna go to Mr. Kerns tomorrow. | 我们明天还会去找Kerns先生 |
[11:31] | He can authorize us to dig up the body. | 他可以授权我们挖掘尸体。 |
[11:33] | Why would any father agree to let his daughter get dug up? | 为什么会有父亲同意让女儿把挖出来的? |
[11:40] | It’s over. | 彻底结束了 |
[11:44] | Not yet. | 还没有 |
[11:45] | Where is my mother? Out crying now? | 我妈妈呢,在外面哭? |
[11:50] | She’s at home. | 她在家里 |
[12:07] | I’ve never believed that would happen. | 我简直不相信会这样 |
[12:11] | Even when I got sentenced | 甚至当我被判刑的时候 |
[12:13] | I figure, you know, it’s a mistake, I will get cleared up. | 我想,你知道,这是一个错误,我会得到清白的。 |
[12:20] | Well, there. | 可是 |
[12:25] | The date is here. | 大限到了 |
[12:31] | Jimmy and Eugene are gonna go look at the equipment. | Jimmy和Eugene会去检查一下设备 |
[12:36] | It’s only been used once in the past four years, | 它在过去四年中才使用过一次 |
[12:39] | so maybe if they could find… | 所以也许如果他们发现了些问题。。。 |
[13:00] | Why don’t we just go and dig up the body ourselves? | 我们为什么不就这么过去直接把尸体挖出来算了? |
[13:03] | We can’t do that. | 我们不能那样做 |
[13:04] | Why? Is this a crime? | 为什么,那是犯罪吗? |
[13:06] | I’ll serve the time. | 如果可以获得DNA证据还我儿子清白 |
[13:08] | If I get DNA to clear my son. | 我愿意为此坐牢 |
[13:10] | We can’t do that. | 我们不能那样做 |
[13:14] | Listen, it’s probably not a bad idea | 听着,让你和Jimmy去找那个父亲 |
[13:15] | for you to go with Jimmy to see the father, | 这可能不是个馊主意 |
[13:18] | a mother’s agony. | 凭借一个母亲的痛苦 |
[13:22] | Does he know you are coming? | 他知道你来了吗? |
[13:25] | He doesn’t know what I am coming to ask him. | 他不知道我要去求他 |
[13:29] | And Euegen, I guess you should check the executional equipment, who knows. | 还有,Euegen,我觉得你应该去检查一下执刑设备, 谁知道呢 |
[13:41] | You okay? | 你怎么样? |
[13:45] | I am fine. | 还好 |
[13:50] | I am fine. | 我还好 |
[14:00] | How did you expect me to respond, Mr. Berluti? | Berluti先生,你希望我会怎么回复你? |
[14:04] | Terrible. | 可怕的 |
[14:08] | According to the mortician | 据入殓师说 |
[14:09] | the night shirt was folded and put in the casket. | 当晚的睡衣是叠放在棺材里的 |
[14:13] | We wouldn’t have to touch the remains of your daughter. | 我们不可能触摸到你女儿的遗体。 |
[14:19] | I can’t believe I am sitting in my own living room listening… | 我简直不能相信,我坐在自己的客厅听到这些。。。 |
[14:25] | Mr. Kerns, you and I have never spoken. | Kerns先生,你我从来没有交谈过 |
[14:30] | We both lost our children… | 我们都失去了孩子。。。 |
[14:32] | Mrs. Donovan, you and I have nothing in common. | Donovan夫人,你和我没有共同点 |
[14:37] | If there is DNA that matches up with my son, | 如果那里的DNA和我儿子的匹配 |
[14:41] | I will drop any further appeal… | 我将不再上诉。。。 |
[14:44] | You’re asking me | 你在要求我 |
[14:48] | to dig up my own daughter’s grave. | 挖开我女儿的坟墓 |
[14:51] | Mr. Kerns, I would think a father would want to know for sure… | Kerns先生,我觉得作为一个父亲会想确认。。。 |
[14:56] | Oh, you would think that, would you, Mr. Berluti? | 噢,你觉得是那样,是吗,Berluti先生? |
[15:01] | You won’t get closure unless you are sure. | 除非你确认了,否则你会就此释怀的 |
[15:05] | You put that night shirt in the casket asking for god’s compassion. | 你把那件睡衣放进棺材,是为了得到上帝的怜悯 |
[15:12] | The compassion we are asking for is yours. | 我们所恳求的怜悯是来自你的 |
[15:22] | Please. I am begging you. | 拜托,我在恳求你 |
[15:38] | What would you do? | 你会怎么做? |
[15:43] | Just open the lid, take the night shirt | 只是开棺,拿出睡衣 |
[15:47] | and put her right back in the ground. | 然后原样掩埋 |
[16:13] | All set? | 准备好了? |
[16:14] | Ready. | 嗯 |
[16:15] | Connects to the execution. | 接通执刑设备 |
[16:27] | On the count of three. | 数到三 |
[16:29] | One, two, three. | 一、二、三、 |
[17:01] | Done. | 完成了 |
[17:03] | Okay, let’s start from the top. | 好的,让我们在从头再做一遍 |
[17:05] | This time we will do it as if the condemned was struggling. | 这次是假设死刑犯在进行挣扎 |
[17:13] | Yes, I understand that you’ll get back to me, | 是的,我理解你会回复我的 |
[17:15] | but I just want it brought to Justice Stroud’s attention | 但是我只是希望能引起Stroud法官的注意 |
[17:18] | that the execution date is tomorrow. | 处决日期是明天 |
[17:21] | Yes. | 是的 |
[17:25] | Thank you, thank you very much. | 谢谢你,十分感谢 |
[17:28] | Supreme Court Justices aren’t even made aware of these request. | 最高法院的法官甚至不知道这些要求。 |
[17:32] | Their law clerks just stamp denied | 他们的书记员只是盖上拒绝的印戳 |
[17:34] | and then they go out to play basketball. | 就跑出去玩篮球了 |
[17:40] | Hello. | 你好 |
[17:43] | One second, please. | 请等一下 |
[17:46] | It’s the doctor from the lab. | 实验室的医生 |
[17:48] | Doctor Donum, Ellenor Frutt. | Donum医生,我是Ellenor Frutt |
[17:55] | Are you sure? | 你确定吗? |
[17:57] | Okay, thank you. | 好的,谢谢你 |
[17:59] | Let me discuss it here and I will call you back. | 让我讨论一下然后给你打回去 |
[18:03] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[18:06] | Well? | 如何? |
[18:07] | There was DNA on the night shirt. | 在睡衣上有DNA遗留 |
[18:09] | Two semen stains. | 两处精液污渍 |
[18:13] | It did not match Stuart’s. | 和Stuart的不相符 |
[18:21] | Thank you, god. Thank you. | 感谢上帝 |
[18:32] | And we can document chain of custody. | 我们可以为证物监管链提供证明 |
[18:34] | Doctor Donum is a DNA specialist that your office uses | Donum 医生是一个你们也在雇用的DNA专家 |
[18:38] | so you certainly aware of his credentials. | 所以你一定是了解他的资历的 |
[18:41] | Wow… | 那么 |
[18:42] | I am hoping we can now offer a joined recommendation | 我希望我们现在能提出一个联合建议 |
[18:46] | asking for Stuart Donovan’s release. | 请求释放Stuart Donovan |
[18:48] | Well, I am not sure I can do that. | 呃,我不知道我是不是可以那样做 |
[18:51] | Well you now have conclusive prove he didn’t do it. | 可你现在已经有确凿的证明不是他干的 |
[18:55] | Did doctor Donum put these into the national database? | Donum医生在国家数据库查询了吗? |
[18:58] | He did, there’s been no ID. | 他做了,没有找到符合的人 |
[19:04] | Look, I am not gonna pretend I am not shocked here | 我不会装着我对此不感到惊骇 |
[19:07] | obviously this comes as quite a surprise. | 很显然,这太令人惊讶了 |
[19:11] | But it doesn’t clear Stuart Donovan. | 但这还不能使tuart Donovan清白 |
[19:16] | It only means somebody else could have been there with him that night. | 这只是意味着当晚还有别的人和他一起到过现场 |
[19:20] | What? | 什么? |
[19:21] | Stuart Donovan was seen going into that house. | Stuart Donovan被人看到进入那房子 |
[19:24] | At 9 o’clock. | 在9点 |
[19:25] | No. The witness said between 11:30 and 12. | 不对,证人是说在11:30到12点 |
[19:28] | The witness was a drunk who saw Johnny Carson on TV | 这个证人喝醉了,而且他看到电视上播放Johnny Carson的节目 |
[19:31] | and thought it was between 11:30 and 12. | 他以为是在11:30到12点之间 |
[19:33] | Mr. Young, we didn’t convict with semen stains on the night shirt, | Young先生,我们不是根据睡衣上的精液残留定罪的 |
[19:36] | we convicted with eye witness’s testimony, | 我们是依据目击证人的证词定罪的 |
[19:39] | we convicted with his confession. | 我们根据他的自白定罪的 |
[19:40] | The confession was a lie. | 那个自白是捏造的 |
[19:42] | You say so, but I don’t have any evidence of that. | 你说是这样,但我无法证实 |
[19:44] | I don’t believe I am hearing this, | 我不敢相信我听到你说的这些 |
[19:45] | you still plan to execute? | 你仍然打算执刑死刑? |
[19:47] | This new evidence only goes to show | 这个新证据只能说明 |
[19:49] | somebody else could have been there in addition to your client. | 除了你的客户,其他人也可能去过那里。 |
[19:53] | Or it could have been an old stain from the day before, the week before. | 或者,那精液污斑也许是在一天或者一周前留下的 |
[19:57] | It doesn’t disprove the evidence against Stuart Donovan. | 这并不能驳倒针对Stuart Donovan的证据 |
[20:05] | How could they not let him go now? | 他们怎么能不现在释放他呢? |
[20:07] | I don’t understand. | 我实在不理解 |
[20:08] | Come on, back to court. | 走吧,再去法庭 |
[20:12] | Federal? | 联邦法庭? |
[20:12] | Common, please. | 高等民事法庭 |
[20:14] | Judge Wood? | Wood法官? |
[20:14] | If we went to Federal, they’d kick us back to State court on this. | 如果我们去联邦法院,他们会把我们踢回到州法院 |
[20:17] | But state definitely don’t want to see me again. | 但州法院一定烦死我们了 |
[20:19] | Judge Wood. | Wood法官 |
[20:20] | He’s all we got. | 他是我们全部希望所在 |
[20:21] | Lucy, let’s go. | Lucy,一起去 |
[20:22] | We can’t go to federal? | 我们不能去联邦法院吗? |
[20:23] | Jimmy, see if there is a State court Law that we… | Jimmy,看看是否有一个州法院的条文,我们。。。 |
[20:26] | Why Judge Wood? | 为什么是Wood法官? |
[20:26] | Would you shut up! | 你能闭嘴吗! |
[20:37] | I am sorry. | 对不起 |
[20:39] | It’s just… | 只是。。。 |
[20:44] | I am so sorry. | 实在对不起 |
[20:52] | Lucy, we need an affidavit of what Joe Bullock told you. | Lucy,我们需要一份Joe Bullock对你所说的宣誓口供 |
[20:56] | Jimmy, get a declaration of Doctor Donum plus test results. | Jimmy,搞一份Donum医生的声明并附上测试结果 |
[21:00] | Done. | 好的 |
[21:00] | And keep calling the Supreme Court, harass them. | 不断给最高法院打电话,扰乱他们 |
[21:10] | You want me to argue? | 你想让我来辩诉吗? |
[21:17] | No. I will do it. | 不,我来做 |
[21:27] | Mary. | Mary |
[21:30] | It’s okay. | 没关系 |
[21:40] | Conspiracy? | 同谋? |
[21:42] | Now they think it’s conspiracy? | 现在他们认为这是同谋? |
[21:44] | We’re going in to court again in the morning. | 我们明早要再去法庭 |
[21:48] | Why are they doing this? | 他们为什么要这样做? |
[21:50] | Because they are desperate to believe they’ve got the right guy. | 因为他们孤注一掷地相信他们抓对了人 |
[21:55] | Look, we’ve arranged to have you transfer to the court. | 这样,我们安排把你送到法庭 |
[21:59] | Your presence there could count for something. | 你的出席可能会有些作用 |
[22:02] | Have we heard from the Supreme Court? | 我们得到最高法院的消息了吗? |
[22:05] | They don’t seem to be returning our calls this week. | 他们看起来本周不打算回复我们了 |
[22:10] | Where is Ellenor? | Ellenor在哪儿? |
[22:11] | She’s working on her statement for tomorrow’s hearing. | 她在准备明早法庭听证的陈述材料 |
[22:14] | We are not giving up, honey. | 我们没有放弃,宝贝 |
[22:16] | Listen, if we lose | 听着,如果我们输了 |
[22:20] | they will be taking you directly from court to the… | 你会被从法庭直接带去。。。 |
[22:27] | the place. | 那个地方 |
[22:32] | The place | 那个地方? |
[22:35] | you mean the place where they put me to death? | 你是说处决我的地方吗? |
[22:41] | If you get people to say goodbye to here, | 如果你想和这里的人道别的话 |
[22:45] | you’ll have to do it in the morning. | 你早上就要做 |
[22:54] | Whose semen was it? | 那是谁的精液? |
[22:55] | We don’t know. | 我们不知道 |
[22:57] | I don’t think it proves anything, Michael. | 我认为这证明不了什么,Michael |
[22:58] | There could have been co-conspirators. | 那也许是有同谋者 |
[23:00] | And they are going back into the court again? | 他们要再去法院吗? |
[23:02] | Before Judge Wood. | 面对Wood法官 |
[23:04] | These lawyers… they don’t quit. | 这些律师呀。。。他们没有放弃 |
[23:07] | They dug up the rape kit on their own. | 他们靠自己找出了强奸相关证物包 |
[23:09] | They… they are very good, Michael. | 他们。。。他们挺不错的,Michael。 |
[23:18] | I’ll argue. | 我会对此争辩的 |
[23:19] | Really? | 是吗? |
[23:20] | This is the killer, right? | 这是真正的凶手,对吗? |
[23:22] | I know it is. | 我知道他是 |
[23:23] | I’ll argue. | 我会去争辩的 |
[23:24] | We are not losing him on the day of execution. | 他跑不了的 |
[23:28] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[23:31] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[23:37] | How is it going? | 准备得怎么样了? |
[23:40] | Okay, I’ve just… | 还好,我只是。。。 |
[23:41] | I’ve got so much here, I just… | 我准备了太多了,我只是。。。 |
[23:44] | I am not sure how to organize it all, you know, | 我完全不知道怎么组织这些,你懂的 |
[23:46] | or even if I should argue everything. | 或者我把所有的都讲一遍 |
[23:48] | Judge Wood, he looks like… | Wood法官,你看起来。。。 |
[23:51] | I just don’t know how long he’s gonna pay attention. | 我不知道他能集中注意力多长时间 |
[23:59] | When he first went to prison | 当他第一次关进监狱 |
[24:01] | he kept banging his head up against the bars, | 他不断用头砰砰地撞门 |
[24:05] | for 48 hours he kept banging. | 一直撞了48小时 |
[24:09] | He said that he wouldn’t stop until somebody heard the truth. | 他说直到有人了解了真相才会停下 |
[24:13] | And then they put him on antipsychotic medication for three years. | 然后他们给他服了三年的精神抑制类药物 |
[24:22] | Three years. | 三年呀 |
[24:26] | Ellenor, you can’t take these things too personally. | Ellenor,你不能把这事掺入个人情绪 |
[24:29] | You won’t be any good to him if you let your emotions take over tomorrow. | 如果你明天受到情绪的影响,这点对他没有任何好处 |
[24:38] | Maybe you should do it, Eugene. | 也许你应该来做陈述,Eugene |
[24:42] | I am not as ready as you are. | 我没有你这样充分的准备 |
[24:46] | I am having a hard time keep it all assorted. | 我很难让所有这些协调一致 |
[24:49] | My anger, what happened to him, | 我的愤怒,他身上所发生的 |
[24:50] | what truth is relevant to this type of hearing, | 再这样的听证会上,哪些事实是有实质意义的 |
[24:54] | what’s not… | 哪些不是。。。 |
[25:02] | I can tell you one thing, | 有一件事我能告诉你 |
[25:06] | I am never gonna do another death penalty case. | 我再也不会去接死刑案子了 |
[25:12] | I can’t handle it. | 我应付不了 |
[25:18] | I just can’t. | 我就是不能 |
[25:48] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[25:56] | Be seated. | 坐下 |
[26:00] | All right, Ms. Frutt, here we are again. | 好了,Frutt女士,我们又在这里了 |
[26:02] | The floor is yours. | 该你上台了 |
[26:06] | May I please the court, | 尊敬的法庭 |
[26:08] | we now have conclusive DNA evidence | 我们现在有确凿的DNA证据 |
[26:13] | establishing it was somebody else not Stuart Donovan | 确定当晚强奸并杀害Alisha Kerns的 |
[26:17] | who raped Alisha Kerns on that night, | 并非Stuart Donovan而是另有其人 |
[26:19] | you have the reports in front of you. | 我们已经呈上了报告 |
[26:21] | You also have the affidavit of Joe Bullock, | 你还可以看到Joe Bullock的宣誓证词 |
[26:24] | outlining exactly how Earl Tylor learned the details of the crime | 揭示了Earl Tylor是如何了解到本案犯罪细节的 |
[26:29] | which details allowed Earl Tylor to go to the District Attorney | 这些细节使得Earl Tylor带着伪造的自白供述, |
[26:32] | with the falsified confession. | 去找到地区检察官 |
[26:34] | A confession he used to get his own prison sentence reduced. | 用这份自白供述换取他自己的减刑 |
[26:40] | You also have an affidavit from his ex-wife | 你还可以看到Brasler先生的前妻的宣誓证言 |
[26:43] | stating that Mr. Brasler was habitually drunk | 说明他一贯酗酒 |
[26:46] | and passed out by 9 o’clock every night. | 并且每晚九点就神志不清 |
[26:49] | Mr. Brasler claims it was between 11:30 and 12 | Brasler先生宣称那是11:30 and 12点之间 |
[26:53] | when he saw my client entered the victim’s house | 看到我的委托人进入了受害者的房子 |
[26:56] | and he’s basing that on the fact | 但他是基于 |
[26:58] | that Johnny Carson was on the television. | 当时电视正在播放Johnny Carson的节目的理由 |
[27:01] | We have also shown by affidavit | 我们从证词上也说明了 |
[27:03] | that Johnny Carson was in fact on during prime time the night of the murders | Johnny Carson的节目在谋杀案当晚是安排在黄金档期的 |
[27:08] | 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. | 那是9-11点 |
[27:10] | in an anniversary special. | 的周年特别节目 |
[27:14] | My client was convicted on three pieces of evidence, Your Honour. | 我得委托人基于三个证据被定罪,法官大人 |
[27:19] | A confession fabricated by a jail house snitch. | 一个由监狱检举人捏造的自白 |
[27:23] | The eye witness testimony of an alcoholic | 一个在当时完全神志不清的 |
[27:27] | who was confused as to what time it really was. | 酗酒目击证人的证词 |
[27:30] | And a blood type match | 还有血型的匹配 |
[27:32] | which is now been conclusively disproven with DNA testing. | 这一点现在被DNA测试令人信服地推翻了 |
[27:38] | As a matter of law, as a matter of simple justice, | 事关法律,事关简单的公正 |
[27:44] | Stuart Donovan’s conviction must be set aside | Stuart Donovan的定罪必须被取消 |
[27:47] | and he must be released immediately. | 他必须被立即释放 |
[28:07] | Mr. Stanfield? | Stanfield先生? |
[28:14] | We will not deny to this court we were shocked by the DNA evidence. | 我们不打算向法庭否认我们对于 DNA测试结果感到震惊 |
[28:18] | We then test the rape kit and learned just 10 seconds ago | 我们随后对强奸相关证物进行了测试 就在刚才我们得到了测试结果 |
[28:22] | it too did not match to Donovan. | 也与Donovan不相匹配 |
[28:27] | My first reaction yesterday to the DNA discovery was that | 我昨天对于DNA测试结果的第一个反应就是 |
[28:31] | Stuart Donovan should in fact be set free. | Stuart Donovan说起来是应该被释放的 |
[28:34] | But when we stop to think about it, | 但是当我们停止这样去想的话 |
[28:39] | nothing has changed so dramatically that it will alter the verdict. | 没有什么戏剧性的变化足以改变陪审团的裁决 |
[28:44] | As Ms. Frutt correctly states | 正如Frutt女士实事求是的陈述所言 |
[28:47] | Stuart Donovan was convicted on three pieces of evidence. | Stuart Donovan是基于三个证据被定罪的 |
[28:50] | First, the confession, | 首先,是自白供述 |
[28:52] | that confession still stands. | 那个自白依然有效 |
[28:54] | It was introduced into evidence at trial and challenged at trial. | 它是审判中被引入的证据,并且经过庭审的辩论 |
[28:58] | Defence isn’t free to continue challenging it | 辩方不能在结案后没有新证据的情况下 |
[29:01] | after the verdict without new evidence. | 随意再去质疑它 |
[29:04] | And they don’t have any. | 而且他们确实什么也没有 |
[29:05] | They can argue all they want that is fabricated | 他们能随心所欲地辩称那是编造的 |
[29:07] | that argument was made at trial and rejected by the jury. | 那个论点在庭审中产生过,但陪审团没有认可 |
[29:12] | Second, the eyewitness’s testimony. | 第二,目击证人的证词 |
[29:14] | Again, the defence argued at trial that Mr. Brasal must’ve been mistaken | 重申一次, 辩方在庭审中质疑过Brasal先生的证词存在错误 |
[29:19] | but there is nothing else to controvert that eyewitness’s testimony. | 但当初没有任何别的证据可以反驳目击证人的证词 |
[29:23] | Just as there is nothing else to controvert it today. | 正如现在也没有任何其他证据可以反驳一样 |
[29:26] | Third, the blood match. | 第三,血型匹配 |
[29:29] | If you look at the court transcripts | 如果你们看一下法庭副本 |
[29:31] | this was never a big part of the prosecution’s case. | 这从未做为控方的主要证据 |
[29:34] | If you review the closing arguments | 如果你们重新看一下结案陈词 |
[29:36] | you will see we hammered two points: | 你们会发现我们的两个重点是: |
[29:39] | The confession and the eyewitness’s testimony. | 自白供述和目击证人的证词 |
[29:43] | Now, we can all say I would never agree with the jury on those points | 现在,我们都可以说在这些问题上, 我们从未赞同陪审团的裁决 |
[29:48] | but that is not the standard for a review. | 但是那不是一个复审的标准 |
[29:51] | The question you have to ask | 你必须要问一个问题 |
[29:53] | is whether these new evidence is of such character | 这些新证据中有哪一个具备 |
[29:57] | that a different verdict will likely result. | 可能导致一个不同的裁决的特性 |
[30:01] | The answer to that is no. | 答案是没有 |
[30:04] | Because there is nothing to disprove either the confession or that testimony. | 因为没有什么新证据推翻自白供认或者是目击证词 |
[30:10] | Not then, not now. | 那时没有,现在也没有 |
[30:16] | All right, I will grant you that, Mr. Stanfield. | 好吧,我会认可你所说的,Stanfield先生 |
[30:18] | The court has no basis to throw out the confession | 法庭没有理由否定自白供认 |
[30:21] | or the eyewitness’s testimony. | 或是目击证人的证词 |
[30:24] | But this new DNA evidence | 但是,新的DNA证据 |
[30:27] | doesn’t that tell us somebody else did it? | 不是告诉了我们是别人作的案吗? |
[30:30] | No, Your Honour. | 不是,法官大人 |
[30:31] | It tells us that somebody else could have been there; | 他只是告诉我们还有别的人在场 |
[30:34] | somebody else made love to her. | 是别人和被害人做爱 |
[30:36] | We have no timeline on that, could have been earlier. | 我们不清楚这方面的时间线, 也许做爱是在早些时候发生的 |
[30:39] | But it doesn’t change the fundamentals of our case. | 但是这不能改变本案的定罪基础 |
[30:42] | And let’s remember this | 让我们记住这一点 |
[30:43] | Mr. Donovan didn’t confessed to Mr. Tylor | Donovan先生没有向Tylor坦白说 |
[30:46] | that he raped anybody or that he made love to the victim before killing her. | 他强奸了谁,或者他在杀害被告人之前和其做爱 |
[30:51] | He confessed only to murdering the two women. | 他坦白的仅仅是谋杀了两个女人 |
[30:55] | Hence, this new evidence does nothing | 因此,这个新证据没有 |
[30:57] | to undermine the veracity of that confession. | 破坏自白供述的真实性 |
[30:59] | Do you still think he did it? | 你还是认为是他做的? |
[31:01] | My personal beliefs aren’t relevant. | 我个人的想法与此无关 |
[31:03] | There are relevant to me. | 这和我有关 |
[31:05] | Do you think this is the man who killed those women? | 你认为是这个人杀了那些女人吗? |
[31:08] | I do, your Honour. | 是的,法官大人 |
[31:09] | He had a heated fight with Alisha Kerns just the day before. | 他和Alisha Kerns就在案发前一天有过激烈的争吵 |
[31:13] | He refused to accept the end of the relationship. | 他拒绝接受分手 |
[31:16] | There is no sign of forced entry, so, the idea of home invasion. | 没有强行闯入的迹象,那么,当成入室抢劫? |
[31:20] | No fingerprints but his, no motive for anybody else. | 只有他的指纹,只有他有动机。 |
[31:24] | Look, he confessed to the crime. | 他坦白了罪行 |
[31:26] | You don’t free a man just because | 你不能仅仅因为 |
[31:28] | it turns out that somebody else may have been there at the time. | 当时现场有其他人出现就放了他 |
[31:32] | But you have to admit | 但你必须要承认 |
[31:33] | it does change things if somebody else was there. | 如果现场有别人的话,就会有些不同 |
[31:36] | Not enough to upset a verdict. | 不足以推翻定罪裁决 |
[31:38] | Recently the Texas Court of Appeals was faced with the exact situation. | 最近,德州上诉法院面对着几乎同样的情况 |
[31:43] | The DNA turned out not to match the defendant. | DNA结果和被告不匹配 |
[31:47] | The court refused to grant a new trial | 但法庭拒绝重新审判 |
[31:49] | ruling that the DNA results did not preclude the presence of a co-conspirator. | 裁决认为DNA结果不能排除有同谋在场 |
[31:54] | That was the case there, it’s what we have here. | 那个案子是那样的,如同我们现在这个案子一样 |
[31:59] | You have precedent. | 你有了一个判例 |
[32:01] | You have the verdict of a jury. | 你有陪审团的裁决 |
[32:04] | This court should honour both. | 这个法庭也应该尊重这两点 |
[32:13] | You can’t rest. He was good. | 你不能到此为止,他表现得很好 |
[32:21] | One more minute, Your Honour. | 我还有话说,法官大人 |
[32:23] | Go ahead. | 继续 |
[32:28] | Five weeks ago when I took this case, | 五个月前我接手此案 |
[32:31] | I almost immediately started getting emotional about it. | 我对此几乎是立刻变得情绪化了 |
[32:34] | And I couldn’t figure out why. | 我说不清为什么 |
[32:37] | I don’t know Stuart Donovan. | 我不了解Stuart Donovan |
[32:40] | I realize now that what got to me is the reality | 我现在意识到那是现实使然 |
[32:44] | that people don’t get fair trials in this country, they often don’t. | 在这个国家得不到公正的审判,他们经常如此 |
[32:50] | Mr. Frutt, I was the Judge on your client’s trial. | Frutt女士,我是你的委托人的庭审法官 |
[32:54] | And I don’t doubt that you did everything right, Your Honour. | 我不怀疑你一贯正确,法官大人 |
[32:58] | But Stuart Donovan had a public defender | 但是Stuart Donovan由一个公设律师辩护 |
[33:01] | who had just finished another capital case | 他刚刚做完另一个死刑案件 |
[33:04] | 48 hours before his trial began. | 只留给他48小时就要再次出庭 |
[33:07] | And that public defender wasn’t ready for this one. | 公设律师对此没有准备 |
[33:11] | He didn’t discover a lot of the things he could have. | 他无法去发现很多他可以发现的东西 |
[33:14] | Defence lawyers, especially public defenders, | 辩护律师,尤其是公设律师 |
[33:16] | especially those taking court appointments, | 更尤其是那些接受法庭指派的公设律师 |
[33:19] | we just don’t have enough time, | 我们没有足够的时间 |
[33:22] | we just don’t have the resources. | 我们没有足够的资源 |
[33:24] | And it’s… it’s understandable. | 这是。。。这是可以理解的 |
[33:26] | Things are bound to fall to the cracks, how could they not? | 必定会有些疏忽,怎么可能没有呢? |
[33:31] | But I have a man facing death here. | 但是我有一个委托人面临死亡 |
[33:38] | Technically, from an evidentially standpoint, | 技术角度上,从证据的角度 |
[33:40] | Mr. Stanfield is right, the confession still stands. | Stanfield是对的,自白供认仍然是有效的 |
[33:43] | Technically, from an evidentially standpoint, | 技术角度上,从证据的角度 |
[33:46] | the eyewitness’s testimony is valid, | 目击证人的证词也是有效的 |
[33:48] | the time to impeach it would have been at trial, | 对二者的质疑应该发生在庭审阶段 |
[33:51] | that never happened. | 但那时却没有 |
[33:52] | Technically, the prosecution’s two big pieces of evidence still hold up. | 技术上讲,检方的两大证据仍然存在 |
[33:58] | Technically. | 技术角度上 |
[34:00] | In reality, a man is going to be executed for a crime he didn’t commit. | 实际上,一个人将要因他没有犯过的罪行而被处决 |
[34:07] | And as I have been pounding my head against walls, | 正如我已经被墙撞破了脑袋一样 |
[34:12] | I had been continuingly hearing: | 我不断听到一个声音: |
[34:14] | Mr. Frutt, there is a system, | Frutt女士,这是一个系统 |
[34:16] | a system of evidence and appeals and… | 有关证据、上诉等等的系统。。。 |
[34:23] | They system doesn’t always work, Your Honour. | 但这系统并不是总是正常运转,法官大人 |
[34:28] | In the last ten years alone, | 仅在过去的十年里 |
[34:29] | over 44 people have been released from death row | 超过44个人从死囚室里被释放 |
[34:33] | from crimes they didn’t commit. | 从他们未曾犯下的罪名中解脱 |
[34:35] | The system uses jail house snitches who fabricate confessions; | 这个系统使用了捏造自白的监狱告密者 |
[34:40] | the system has police lying; | 还有警察的谎言 |
[34:43] | the system is very, very fallible. | 这个系统是非常非常容易犯错的 |
[34:47] | And maybe it’s understandable, | 也许这是可以理解的 |
[34:49] | given the enormous volume of criminal cases today, | 鉴于目前数量巨大的刑事案件 |
[34:53] | mistakes happen, lies happen. | 错误频发,谎言频发 |
[34:56] | It is a byproduct of the system that I can almost comprehend. | 这是这个系统的一个副产品,我差不多可以理解 |
[35:03] | But what I can’t fathom | 但是对此我无法深刻领悟 |
[35:06] | is that when we have the ability | 我们何时可以具有 |
[35:08] | to find out the truth through DNA evidence, | 通过DNA证据去发现事实真相的能力 |
[35:11] | we don’t. | 我不知道 |
[35:14] | In 48 states, this being one of them, | 包括本州在内的48个州 |
[35:16] | prisoners do not have the right to a simple DNA test | 犯人们没有权力得到一个 |
[35:21] | that can prove their innocence. | 能证明他们无辜的简单的DNA测试 |
[35:22] | You wouldn’t let us have one, Judge. | 你没有让我们得到,法官 |
[35:25] | We had to go to the father of the victim, | 我们必须去找被害人的父亲 |
[35:27] | miraculously he let us dig up his daughter. | 他奇迹般地让我们挖出了他的女儿 |
[35:32] | And after we did that, did the test on our own, | 我们做完那些后,我们自己做了DNA测试 |
[35:35] | we pretty much proved Stuart Donovan’s innocence. | 我们很大程度上证明了Stuart Donovan是无辜的 |
[35:38] | And still it hasn’t ended. | 但这还没有结束 |
[35:42] | Mr. Stanfield now gets up, changes the prosecution’s theory | Stanfield先生现在站起来,改变控方起诉论据 |
[35:47] | and refocuses the court’s attentions on eyewitness’s testimony | 将法庭的注意力调整到目击证人证言 |
[35:51] | and a jail house informant | 和监狱告密者提供的信息 |
[35:53] | which everyone in the room regards a suspect. | 这房间里每一个人对此都有存疑 |
[35:56] | As technically admissible as it may be on evidently grounds, | 但从技术角度上是被允许的, 所以就可以成为最堂而皇之的理由。 |
[36:01] | none of us in this room fully believe that snitch, | 这里没有一个人完全相信那个告密者 |
[36:04] | none of us fully trust that eyewitness’ account | 我们中没有人完全相信目击证人的口述 |
[36:08] | and a man is going to die. | 但一个人将要被处死了 |
[36:14] | Is our system about getting convictions? | 我们的系统可以被定罪吗? |
[36:18] | Is that it? | 它是吗? |
[36:21] | My co-counsel, Eugene Young, | 我的律师合伙人,Eugene Young |
[36:23] | told me not to take this case personally. | 跟我说不要带入个人情绪 |
[36:28] | How can I not? | 我怎么才能不带呢? |
[36:30] | How can’t we all? | 我们大家怎么能不带呢? |
[36:34] | A man, | 一个人 |
[36:39] | an innocent man is going to die. | 一个无辜的人要被处死了 |
[36:43] | As human beings, | 做为一个人 |
[36:45] | as officers of this court, | 做为一个法庭官员 |
[36:48] | as players in this system, | 做为这个系统里的参与者 |
[36:55] | how do we not take that personally? | 我们怎么能不带有个人感情? |
[37:19] | I hear Ms. Frutt’s frustration or emotion; | 我听到了Frutt女士的失意和激愤感 |
[37:25] | I’d like the court to consider it from our side | 我希望法庭从我们的角度来考虑这个问题 |
[37:28] | and from the victim’s families. | 还有受害人亲属的角度 |
[37:30] | You find the person who commits the murder, | 你找到了罪犯 |
[37:32] | you put that person on trial, you secure a conviction. | 你把这人推上了审判席,你将其定了罪 |
[37:38] | That’s not easy these days, | 那些过程是艰难的 |
[37:41] | but even when you’re lucky enough to get that far, | 但即使你运气足够好地走了这么远 |
[37:44] | the defence attorneys keep coming back over and over and over again | 辩方律师却一次一次又一次地不断反驳 |
[37:49] | raising constitutional claims | 提出宪法主张 |
[37:51] | saying that the previous attorneys weren’t good enough. | 宣称以前的律师做得不好 |
[37:54] | Twelve years they have been coming back on this one, | 12年了,他们一直在反驳 |
[37:58] | twelve years this father, this husband | 12年了,这个父亲,这个丈夫 |
[38:03] | has been waiting for this to be over. | 却一直在等待终结 |
[38:06] | And this on the case where the defendant confessed, | 这个案子里有被告的自白供述 |
[38:11] | this on the case where we have eyewitness’ testimony. | 这个案子里还有目击证人的证词 |
[38:15] | Most times, the defence attorneys are in here | 辩方律师在这里很多次 |
[38:17] | trying to free their clients on technical grounds, | 试图以技术角度上的理由使他们的委托人脱罪 |
[38:20] | Exulting the system above all else. | 欢呼称颂这个系统高于一切的 |
[38:23] | But here where the system has been adhere to, | 但是在这里,这个系统被遵循了 |
[38:26] | where the evidence is all sound technically, | 从技术角度上,证据都是合理的 |
[38:30] | they’re in here… | 他们却在这里。。。(指责这个系统) |
[38:37] | We have his confession on record, | 我们在记录里有他的自白供述 |
[38:40] | the jury believed that confession. | 陪审团也相信这点 |
[38:47] | Why don’t we just let everybody go? | 为什么我们不干脆把每个人都放了? |
[39:27] | I am persuaded by defence counsel’s arguments | 我被辩方律师的论据说服了 |
[39:31] | that before we put a man to death | 那就是在我们要把一个处决之前 |
[39:33] | we should be sure of the person’s guilt | 我们应该确定这个人是有罪的 |
[39:36] | and not simply limit our inquiry | 而不是仅仅对我们的调查做个限定 |
[39:39] | as to whether the trial was technically sound | 至于审判过程从证据的角度看 |
[39:42] | from an evidentiary stand point. | 是否技术上是合理的? |
[39:45] | That seems so obvious. | 这一点似乎是很明显的 |
[39:50] | But Mr. Stanfield’s contention is also a valid one. | 但Stanfield先生的论点也是有效的 |
[39:54] | We could keep reevaluating evidence ** forever. | (此处**语焉不详,似乎应理解为) 我们不能无休止地重新评估证据 |
[39:59] | The point of a trial is to reach a final verdict on the facts, | 审判的意义在于得到一个基于事实的最终裁定 |
[40:04] | and though it would be nice to reconsider the confession, | 尽管对供认做重新的审议、 |
[40:07] | take a second or third look at the testimony, | 对证词做第二次或者第三次的评判可能是较好的方法 |
[40:09] | if we did that for one, we’d have to do it for all. | 但如果我们开了先例,我们就必须全都这样处理 |
[40:14] | And if we did it for all | 如果我们全都这样处理的话 |
[40:16] | surly the court docket would clot beyond repair | 法院备审案件卷宗一定会积压得无法处理 |
[40:21] | and it would be no justice to anybody. | 这也就会对任何人都不存在公正了 |
[40:24] | Ms. Frutt, it was the confession and the eye witness’s testimony | Frutt女士,正是自白供认和目击证人的证词 |
[40:29] | that convicted your client. | 使你的委托人被定罪 |
[40:31] | Both of these elements were vigorously challenged at trial | 这两个是在审判中被重点挑战的要素 |
[40:36] | and though you clearly like to keep on renewing the challenge | 而且尽管你显然是想继续对其重新进行挑战 |
[40:40] | under the law you don’t get to, | 依据法律,你不能这样做 |
[40:42] | not with what you brought me. | 无论你向我提出什么,也不行 |
[40:45] | But Mr. Stanfield, | 但是,Stanfield先生 |
[40:48] | had you had this DNA evidence | 你已经有了这个DNA证据 |
[40:50] | clearly you would have been investigate the possibility of another suspect, | 显然你应该去调查另一个嫌犯的可能性 |
[40:56] | you didn’t. | 但你没有 |
[40:59] | I am an old man. | 我是一个老人 |
[41:01] | I look at each cigarette as possibly my last. | 我每次看这香烟都可能是我的最后一根烟 |
[41:06] | My last breath won’t be spent executing a man | 我最后一次呼吸,不会耗在去处决一个 |
[41:10] | I now think is probably innocent. | 我现在认为可能是无辜者之上 |
[41:15] | The conviction is set aside, | 原有定罪被取消 |
[41:17] | Mr. Donovan, you are free with the apologies of this court. | Donovan先生,你将带着法庭对你的歉意获得自由 |
[41:21] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[41:27] | How about that? | 这怎么回事? |
[41:32] | Yeah! |