| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:01] | Previously on “The Practice”… | |
| [00:02] | My client was in shock | 在被审讯的时候 | 
| [00:04] | at the time of this interrogation. | 我的当事人正处于惊骇之中 | 
| [00:05] | He had just found his wife dead | 在那之前一个小时 | 
| [00:06] | less than an hour before this. | 他刚发现他的太太死了 | 
| [00:08] | I’ll allow the videotape for impeachment purposes only. | 我将允许采纳这盘录像带作为证据,但仅限于反诘时使用 | 
| [00:11] | He killed my sister. | 他杀了我的姐姐 | 
| [00:12] | Don’t tell me now that he’s going to walk. | 别现在告诉我说他可能会无罪 | 
| [00:14] | Mr. Barrett, we had hoped to be able to introduce | Barrett先生,我们希望能够审讯时的录像带 | 
| [00:15] | the videotape interrogation. | 能够呈堂 | 
| [00:17] | And you can’t? | 你做不到吗? | 
| [00:18] | Not unless we get him on the stand. | 除非我们迫使他出庭作证才行 | 
| [00:20] | This will only happen | 这种情况仅当 | 
| [00:22] | if his lawyers think he’s losing. | 他的律师觉得要输的时候才会发生 | 
| [00:23] | Which means,when we ask you, | 这意味着,当我们问你 | 
| [00:25] | “Did your sister seem suicidal?”, | “你姐姐有自杀的倾向吗?” | 
| [00:26] | a response of “I didn’t think so” | 只说“我不这么认为” | 
| [00:28] | isn’t going to do it. | 还不够 | 
| [00:30] | She was murdered if you know it. | 她是被谋杀的 | 
| [00:32] | She did not commit suicide.You absolutely know it. | 她不是自杀,你一定知道的 | 
| [00:36] | Did your sister say anything else, sir? | 先生,你姐姐还说了什么吗? | 
| [00:38] | She said that if she turned up missing | 她说如果她突然失踪的话 | 
| [00:39] | that I should call the police | 我应该去报警 | 
| [00:41] | because Scott probably did something to her. | 因为Scott可能会害她 | 
| [00:43] | Objection! | 反对! | 
| [00:45] | I know what you said to him,how you coached him to — | 我知道你跟他说了什么,而且是怎么教他的。。。 | 
| [00:47] | Hey, Helen! | |
| [00:48] | The man committed perjury,Richard. | Richard,那家伙作了伪证 | 
| [00:50] | We both know it. | 我们都知道的 | 
| [00:51] | -I want to testify. -I can’t let you. | -我想作证 -我不能让你去 | 
| [00:53] | Bobby — | |
| [00:54] | The defense rests,your honor. | 辩方举证完毕,法官大人 | 
| [00:56] | We find the defendant Scott Wallace… | 我们裁定被告Scott Wallace。。。 | 
| [00:58] | guilty. | 有罪 | 
| [01:01] | This thing was built to bring children joy, | 这种设备是为了让孩子们娱乐的 | 
| [01:04] | and it’s toxic. | 但却是有毒的 | 
| [01:05] | The number Ellenor and I think is reasonable | 我和Ellenor认为合理的额度 | 
| [01:08] | is 160 per child. | 每个孩子赔160000美元 | 
| [01:10] | Nothing is good enough for what they did to our kids. | 什么也无法补偿他们对我们孩子的伤害 | 
| [01:12] | $20,000. | 20000美金 | 
| [01:13] | $20,000? | 才20000美金? | 
| [01:14] | A piece. | 每个人 | 
| [01:16] | And we’re only offering it to avoid the publicity | 我们给与补偿仅是为了避免 | 
| [01:17] | that this hearing might generate. | 召开听证会可能会产生的公众舆论 | 
| [01:18] | We have children | 我们有 | 
| [01:20] | with severe learning disabilities. | 患有严重学习障碍的孩子 | 
| [01:22] | Even if that thing is toxic, | 即使那些物质有毒 | 
| [01:24] | the government didn’t manufacture it. | 也不是政府制造的 | 
| [01:25] | I don’t think we’ll lose at summary judgment. | 我不觉得我们会输掉既决审判 | 
| [01:28] | To say that the EPA knew of a leaching problem | 至于说环保署明知渗入的问题 | 
| [01:31] | and failed either to correct it or to warn about it | 而且既不改正也不发出警示 | 
| [01:33] | makes them negligent | 是一种失职行为 | 
| [01:35] | is, in fact, a question a jury should be deciding, | 实质上是应由陪审团而不是法官 | 
| [01:38] | not a judge. | 去判定的问题 | 
| [01:39] | What happened? | 怎么回事? | 
| [01:40] | We’re still alive. | 我们还有戏 | 
| [01:45] | Are your experts ready? | 你们的专家证人准备好了吗? | 
| [01:47] | They’re all set. | 都准备好了 | 
| [01:49] | Dr. Tilotson flew in this morning. | Tilotson博士早上乘飞机过来了 | 
| [01:50] | He’s going to be great. | 他会很棒的 | 
| [01:51] | He’s very dignified and very persuasive. | 他很有权威,也很具说服力 | 
| [01:53] | Who have they got? | 对方请了什么专家? | 
| [01:55] | The EPA?How about everybody. | 环保署吗?你们觉得呢? | 
| [01:57] | They can’t afford to lose this case. | 这个案子他们输不起的 | 
| [01:59] | The precedent would be a disaster. | 这样的判例会导致一场灾难 | 
| [02:01] | She’s nervous. 她有些紧张 | |
| [02:03] | I am not. | 才不呢 | 
| [02:04] | Okay, look. This is not like tobacco, | 好吧,听着,这不同于烟草官司 | 
| [02:06] | where the jury’s going to go in thinking | 那些官司里,陪审团会去想 | 
| [02:08] | that the defendant is evil. | 被告就是魔鬼 | 
| [02:09] | There’s no predisposition weighing in your favor here. | 这个案子中,你不会得到有倾向性的好感 | 
| [02:12] | In fact, in this case, | 实际上 | 
| [02:14] | the jury’s fears will work against you. | 陪审团的恐惧心理会对你产生不利的影响 | 
| [02:16] | How do you figure that? | 你指的是? | 
| [02:17] | People don’t want to believe | 人们并不希望去相信 | 
| [02:19] | that playground equipment all over | 遍布各处的户外设施 | 
| [02:20] | is poisoning their children. | 正在对他们的孩子造成毒害 | 
| [02:22] | They don’t want to believe | 他们不想相信 | 
| [02:23] | that the government could know about it | 政府部门明知这些 | 
| [02:25] | and just look the other way because of politics. | 却因为政治因素而置若罔闻 | 
| [02:26] | Well, that’s exactly — | 可那正是。。。 | 
| [02:28] | People don’t want to believe it, Ellenor, | Ellenor,人们不想去相信这些 | 
| [02:30] | And you have to be mindful of that as you try this case. | 而你在这个案子中必须要留神这一点 | 
| [02:33] | You are arguing something nobody wants to accept. | 你是在提出一个没人愿意承认的论点 | 
| [02:36] | Okay, Bobby. We get it. | 好吧,Bobby,我们记住了 | 
| [02:38] | How is your science? | 你们的科学方面的证据如何? | 
| [02:40] | It’s circumstantial but credible. | 是间接的,但是可被接受 | 
| [02:42] | Don’t focus on proof so much. | 不要把注意力过多放在证据上 | 
| [02:44] | It’s hammering the fact | 要反复坐实一个事实 | 
| [02:45] | that the EPA didn’t test this stuff enough. | 是环保署没有进行足够的测试 | 
| [02:48] | All right, Bobby, we have done this before. | 行,Bobby,这些我们之前就做过了 | 
| [02:50] | We’ve been preparing this case for eight months now, | 我们为这个案子准备了八个月 | 
| [02:53] | and we know what we have to do. | 我们知道我们该做什么 | 
| [02:55] | Anything else? | 还有别的要嘱咐的吗? | 
| [02:56] | Yeah. | 有 | 
| [02:58] | Win. | 赢下来! | 
| [03:53] | You ready? | 准备好了吗? | 
| [03:55] | Yeah, as ready as I’m going to get. | 嗯,挺好的 | 
| [03:57] | Aren’t you going in today? | 你今天去吗? | 
| [03:59] | Yeah, just moving slow. | 嗯,只是起晚了点 | 
| [04:03] | You okay, Helen? | 你没事吧,Helen? | 
| [04:06] | Yeah. | 没事 | 
| [04:08] | Don’t I look fabulous? | 我看起来不是挺好的吗? | 
| [04:10] | It’s just you’ve been acting a little blue | 只是看起来有点忧郁的样子 | 
| [04:13] | for about a week now. | 快一个礼拜了 | 
| [04:14] | Really? Must be a mid-life thing. | 是吗?一定是中年危机吧 | 
| [04:17] | Promised myself | 我许过愿 | 
| [04:18] | if I wasn’t rich and famous by 30, I’d — | 如果我到了三十岁还没有名利双收,那我。。。 | 
| [04:21] | I’d at least be sleeping with someone who was. | 我就和有钱的名人上床 | 
| [04:29] | I’m working as fast as I can, Bobby. | Bobby,我已经尽量快了 | 
| [04:31] | Get Jimmy to help you. | 让 Jimmy帮你 | 
| [04:33] | He’s third-chairing the Jamison trial. | 他是Jamison案子的第三席律师 | 
| [04:34] | Look, while we sit on our hands, | 听着,当我们袖手旁观的时候 | 
| [04:35] | Scott Wallace is sitting in jail. | Scott Wallace正呆在牢里 | 
| [04:36] | Nobody is sitting on their hands, | 没人在袖手旁观 | 
| [04:38] | especially me. | 尤其是我 | 
| [04:39] | I’m off to see him now. | 我现在去探望他 | 
| [04:41] | Bobby, you are going to let him in | Bobby,你打算让他参与 | 
| [04:50] | The injuries are neurological, | 损伤是神经性的 | 
| [04:52] | most likely caused by a toxin. | 很可能是由毒素引起的 | 
| [04:54] | Did you form an opinion, doctor, | 医生,关于是什么导致了这些神经损伤 | 
| [04:56] | as to what caused these neurological injuries? | 你得出意见了吗? | 
| [04:58] | We couldn’t make any findings to a medical certainty, | 我不能做出任何医学上的结论 | 
| [05:01] | but it’s my belief that these children were exposed | 但我确信这些孩子 | 
| [05:04] | to arsenic poisoning, | 接触到了砷毒素 | 
| [05:06] | and it was determined the likely culprit | 并确定了可能的罪魁祸首 | 
| [05:08] | was a play gym in the backyard. | 是后院的一个游乐设施 | 
| [05:10] | Okay, and can you tell us | 好的,你能告诉我们 | 
| [05:12] | why you fault the play gym? | 为什么你归责于游乐设施 | 
| [05:14] | The wood was treated | 使用的木材是 | 
| [05:16] | with chromated copper arsenicals, | 用铬酸铜砷化物经过处理的 | 
| [05:18] | commonly known as CCA. | 通常称为CCA | 
| [05:20] | It’s a fungicide. It’s an insecticide. | 这是一种杀菌剂和杀虫剂 | 
| [05:22] | It’s also a carcinogen. | 它也是一种致癌物 | 
| [05:24] | Over time, it can break down. | 随着时间的推移,它能发生降解作用 | 
| [05:28] | The kids touch it, | 孩子们接触它 | 
| [05:29] | they put their hands in their mouths, | 他们会把手放进自己的嘴里 | 
| [05:30] | and they ingest it. | 因此就摄入了体内 | 
| [05:32] | The neuropathy these children suffered | 这些孩患上的神经疾病 | 
| [05:33] | is consistent with the injuries | 和通常由接触CCA | 
| [05:35] | typically caused by exposure to CCA. | 而引起的伤情相符 | 
| [05:38] | You can’t prove that this play equipment | 医生,你不能证明这些游乐设施 | 
| [05:40] | caused these problems, can you, doctor? | 导致了这些问题,对吗? | 
| [05:42] | Can I prove it? No. | 我能否证明?不能 | 
| [05:45] | In fact, doctor, | 医生,实际上 | 
| [05:46] | you can’t even prove to a medical certainty | 你甚至不能从医学角度 | 
| [05:49] | that exposure to CCA even causes | 确定接触CCA就一定会导致神经损伤 | 
| [05:52] | neurological damage of any kind, can you? | 对吗? | 
| [05:55] | There is certainly enough anecdotal evidence | 确实有足够的传闻证据 | 
| [05:57] | to strongly suggest that it does. | 强烈支持这个观点 | 
| [05:58] | Can you prove it, doctor? | 医生,你能证实这一点吗? | 
| [06:00] | One of the reasons | 这个观点没有得到科学证实 | 
| [06:02] | it hasn’t been scientifically proven | 的原因之一是 | 
| [06:03] | is that we haven’t done enough testing to — | 我们还没有做足够的测试以。。。 | 
| [06:04] | You cannot prove it, | 你还是不能证实这个观点 | 
| [06:06] | can you, doctor? | 医生,对吗? | 
| [06:08] | No. 对 | |
| [06:17] | Ms. Gamble? | Gamble女士? | 
| [06:18] | Mr. Barrett, thank you for coming by. | Barrett先生,谢谢你能来 | 
| [06:21] | What’s going on? | 发生了什么事? | 
| [06:23] | Well, nothing to worry about, | 呃,没出什么问题 | 
| [06:25] | but, uh, you know, | 但是,呃,你知道的 | 
| [06:26] | I’m anticipating the defense to appeal. | 我预感到被告方会上诉 | 
| [06:28] | I think I told you this. | 我想我应该告诉你 | 
| [06:30] | And? | 那么? | 
| [06:32] | My feeling is | 我的感觉是 | 
| [06:34] | one of the grounds they’ll be raising | 他们上诉的理由之一 | 
| [06:36] | is the veracity of your testimony. | 是关于你证词的真实性 | 
| [06:38] | I thought I could best head that off at the pass | 我想我最好能通过提供对你的测谎结果 | 
| [06:40] | by offering polygraph results. | 来封杀他们这条理由 | 
| [06:42] | You could take the test in my office. | 你可以在我的办公室做这个测试 | 
| [06:44] | It won’t take more than an hour. | 大概花一个多小时吧 | 
| [06:46] | I thought they weren’t ever admissible. | 我觉得这种测谎结果是不会被采纳的 | 
| [06:48] | For suspects. For witnesses, | 那是对嫌犯而言,但对于证人 | 
| [06:50] | they can actually carry some weight. | 实际上是具有说服力的 | 
| [06:52] | I don’t want to take any polygraph. | 我不想做这个测谎 | 
| [06:54] | It would be a big help to me if you did. | 你如果能做,那对我是有很大帮助的 | 
| [06:57] | I’m sorry, I don’t want to do that. | 对不起,我不想做 | 
| [07:00] | Why is that, Mr. Barrett? | 为什么?Barrett先生 | 
| [07:04] | Did you not tell the truth? | 你说的不是事实吗? | 
| [07:08] | I’m going to need that polygraph. | 我需要测谎的结果 | 
| [07:10] | Otherwise, I might be compelled | 否则,我也许会不得不 | 
| [07:12] | to go to the judge and ask for a new trial. | 找法官要求重审 | 
| [07:15] | I don’t know what’s going on, Ms. Gamble, | Gamble女士,我不知道出了什么事 | 
| [07:18] | but I’m not taking a lie detector. | 但我不接受测谎 | 
| [07:24] | You could be facing perjury, Mr. Barrett. | Barrett先生,你可能会面临伪证指控 | 
| [07:26] | I think you should have your lawyer | 我想你或许该请你的律师 | 
| [07:29] | pay me a visit…today. | 来找我一趟。。。就在今天 | 
| [07:35] | All these names came out of your wife’s rolodex. | 所有这些名字都取自你妻子的名片夹 | 
| [07:38] | I need you to go through it and tell us who they are. | 我要你你仔细检查一下,告诉我们他们是谁 | 
| [07:41] | What are you looking for? | 你想找出什么呀? | 
| [07:43] | The desperation of it will probably depress you. | 绝望感会使你失去信心 | 
| [07:45] | Tell me. | 说吧 | 
| [07:47] | Well, is there any possibility | 呃,是不是有可能 | 
| [07:49] | that it wasn’t suicide, | 她不是自杀的 | 
| [07:51] | that somebody else killed her? | 而是别的某个人杀了她? | 
| [07:52] | What? | 什么? | 
| [07:54] | I know it’s out there, but, well, | 我知道这有点出格,但是。。。 | 
| [07:56] | she was leaving you. | 她要离开你 | 
| [07:57] | Suppose she was seeing somebody else. | 假设她喜欢上了什么人 | 
| [07:59] | Suppose after you two fought, | 假设你俩争吵之后 | 
| [08:01] | she called him and he came over to get her. | 她叫他来过来接她 | 
| [08:03] | And killed her? | 但却杀了她? | 
| [08:04] | I haven’t exactly thought it through, I’m just — | 我没有完全想通,我只是。。。 | 
| [08:07] | I’m just groping for something. | 我只是在探寻 | 
| [08:08] | Well, you’re right. This depresses me. | 好吧,你说对了,我挺沮丧的 | 
| [08:11] | Just go through the list. | 还是马上查一下这些名单 | 
| [08:13] | I want to know who everybody is. | 我要知道这上面所有人都是谁 | 
| [08:15] | What about the appeal? | 上诉的事怎么样? | 
| [08:17] | We’re putting it together. | 我们正在提交 | 
| [08:29] | Listen, Scott, um… | 听着,Scott,呃。。。 | 
| [08:33] | you have one other ground we need to talk about. | 我们要谈一下你上诉的另一个理由 | 
| [08:36] | It could cost me my bar card. | 这可能会让我付出代价 | 
| [08:38] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么? | 
| [08:40] | You were denied your right to testify by me. | 我阻止了你出庭作证 | 
| [08:46] | You were adamant about getting up there, | 你非常坚定地要去作证 | 
| [08:48] | and I just cut you off and rested the defense. | 但我阻止了你并结束了辩方举证 | 
| [08:51] | I think it’s an issue. | 我认为这是个问题 | 
| [08:52] | Well, you did it | 呃,你是那样做了 | 
| [08:54] | because you believed it was the best strategy. | 因为你相信那是最好的策略 | 
| [08:57] | But in the end it has to be your decision, | 但最终还是要由你来决定 | 
| [09:00] | and I totally usurped it. | 我完全剥夺了你的选择权 | 
| [09:02] | You might want to think about hiring a new lawyer | 你也许应该因此考虑换个律师 | 
| [09:05] | and making that | 并使之成为 | 
| [09:06] | one of the grounds for appeal. | 上诉的理由之一 | 
| [09:08] | What, can’t you argue it? | 什么,你不能以此提出辩诉吗? | 
| [09:11] | It’s a little strange for me | 用我自己的失职行为 | 
| [09:13] | to argue my own infraction. | 来作为上诉理由有些牵强 | 
| [09:15] | (sighs) Bobby… | 哎,Bobby。。。 | 
| [09:20] | the situation that I’m in, | 以我现在的处境 | 
| [09:22] | it’s not likely I’m going to get out of here. | 看来我不大像可以出去了 | 
| [09:25] | I know the odds. | 我知道这概率很小 | 
| [09:26] | Now, if I am to have any chance | 现在,如果有机会的话 | 
| [09:29] | I need a lawyer who feels | 我需要能有一个 | 
| [09:31] | he’s in the hole here with me, | 和我生死与共的律师 | 
| [09:34] | and you’re it. | 而你就是 | 
| [09:42] | Now, doctor, can you get the arsenic on your skin | 医生,现在,你认为通过触碰游乐设备 | 
| [09:46] | by touching the playground equipment? | 能使皮肤沾上砷毒素吗? | 
| [09:48] | When the coating breaks down, absolutely. | 当涂层破损的时候绝对可以 | 
| [09:50] | It can even be inhaled, | 甚至能被吸入 | 
| [09:52] | especially when the wood is wet. | 尤其是当木头是潮湿的时候 | 
| [09:54] | Have any studies ever proved this? | 有什么研究可以证明这一点? | 
| [09:57] | Yes, and the EPA evaluated studies in 1978 | 有,环保署在1978做的评估研究 | 
| [10:01] | and further studies in 1981 and 1987. | 加之在1981年和1987年的进一步研究 | 
| [10:05] | All right, doctor | 那么,医生 | 
| [10:07] | is this wood a real risk in your medical opinion? | 以你的医学观点看,这种木材是真的危险吗? | 
| [10:11] | Everybody defines risk for themselves, | 每个人都有自己对危险的定义 | 
| [10:14] | but let me put it this way — | 但是,让我这么说吧。。。 | 
| [10:16] | these things are cancer death traps | 这东西就是种致癌死亡陷阱 | 
| [10:18] | and they’re in backyards all over the country. | 而且遍布在全国各地的住宅后院里 | 
| [10:21] | Those EPA tests about inhaling and ingesting | 那些环保署进行的有关 | 
| [10:24] | the arsenic off wood — | 木头上的砷毒素被吸入和吸收的测试研究。。。 | 
| [10:25] | those studies were on unsealed wood, | 是用的没有密封的木材 | 
| [10:29] | weren’t they, doctor? | 不是吗,医生? | 
| [10:30] | I believe so. | 是那样的 | 
| [10:32] | The wood on this playground equipment was coated. | 而游乐设施的木材是有涂层的 | 
| [10:34] | In time, the coating breaks down | 时间长了,涂层会发生破损 | 
| [10:36] | and seepage from arsenic increases. | 而且砷毒素的渗漏会增加 | 
| [10:39] | What about the wood we use to build our houses? | 那我们用于建筑房屋的木材呢? | 
| [10:41] | That’s all treated | 那些都是 | 
| [10:42] | with a termite pesticide, isn’t it? | 用杀虫剂处理过的,不是吗? | 
| [10:44] | Yes. 是的 | |
| [10:45] | Carcinogen? | 致癌物质? | 
| [10:47] | Probably. | 可能是 | 
| [10:48] | So maybe even our houses | 那么,也许甚至是我们的房屋 | 
| [10:50] | are potential cancer death traps, | 也是潜在的致癌死亡陷阱了 | 
| [10:54] | We can’t rule it out. | 对此我们不能排除 | 
| [10:55] | The house you live in, what’s it made of? | 你住的房子,用什么建造的? | 
| [10:58] | Wood, but being inside, the coating is less likely to break down. | 木材,但是在房屋内部,涂层不大可能破损 | 
| [11:04] | But the outside wood on our houses, our porches, our decks, | 在我们的房子外,我们的门廊,我们的露天平台, | 
| [11:07] | this is all treated with CCA, | 这些都和游乐设施一样 | 
| [11:09] | same as the playgym equipment, right, doctor? | 用CCA处理过,对吧,医生 | 
| [11:11] | Most of it is, yes. | 大多数是的 | 
| [11:13] | So basically, we’re all living in death traps | 所以,基于您的医学观点 | 
| [11:17] | according to your medical opinion. | 我们基本上都是生活在致癌死亡陷阱中 | 
| [11:19] | We can’t rule it out. | 对此我们不能排除 | 
| [11:24] | Overall, I think he came off well | 总的来说,我想他表现不错 | 
| [11:26] | and it was a good first day. | 第一天还不错 | 
| [11:28] | We still obviously have big problems on causation, | 在证明因果关系上,我们还是存在较大的问题 | 
| [11:31] | but I think the jury is with us. | 但是我认为,陪审团是倾向于我们的 | 
| [11:34] | They definitely are. I was watching their faces. | 他们肯定是的,我一直在观察他们的表情 | 
| [11:37] | What happens next? | 接下来呢? | 
| [11:39] | They’ll put up Feldman from the EPA. | 他们会推出环保署的Feldman来作证 | 
| [11:41] | Lindsay, are you ready? | Lindsay,你准备好了吗? | 
| [11:42] | Totally. | 没问题 | 
| [11:44] | This guy is tough — | 这人很强硬 | 
| [11:46] | he’s got experience as a witness, | 他作专家证人很有经验 | 
| [11:48] | and he’s not afraid to go right back at the lawyer. | 而且他敢于对律师进行回击 | 
| [11:51] | I’m ready. | 我准备好了 | 
| [11:52] | If we do damage here, | 如果我们破坏他的作证 | 
| [11:54] | our chances becomevery good. | 我们会有很机会的 | 
| [11:56] | Do we testify? | 我们要作证吗? | 
| [11:57] | We’ve decided to hold you for rebuttal. | 我们打算把你们的作证用于反驳 | 
| [11:59] | We want your testimony to come | 我们想尽量把你们的作证 | 
| [12:00] | as close to the end as possible. | 留到最后阶段 | 
| [12:02] | Our goal is for the jury | 我们的目地是让陪审团 | 
| [12:04] | to be thinking of a family in that room, | 去关注法庭里的这一家人 | 
| [12:06] | not just chemicals and a bunch of scientists. | 而不仅仅是化学物质和一帮科学家 | 
| [12:08] | But your feeling is it’s going well so far? | 但你的感觉到目前为止进展顺利吗? | 
| [12:10] | I think it’s going quite well, | 我认为很不错 | 
| [12:12] | but… | 但是。。。 | 
| [12:14] | their big gun comes next. | 接下来他们拿出杀手锏了 | 
| [12:41] | You okay? | 你还好吧? | 
| [12:43] | Yeah, yeah, I’m just, uh, | 嗯,嗯,我只是,呃 | 
| [12:46] | just thinking. | 只是在想事 | 
| [12:48] | Your cross on the doctor? | 关于对方医生的交叉盘问? | 
| [12:50] | I’ve got to get him, Bobby. | 我必须搞定他,Bobby | 
| [12:52] | If — if I don’t get him… | 如果,如果我没做到。。。 | 
| [12:54] | You will. | 你会的 | 
| [12:56] | You will. | 你一定会的 | 
| [13:02] | First of all, whether a district attorney | 首先,地区检察官 | 
| [13:04] | thinks a witness lied or not, | 是否认为一个证人撒了谎 | 
| [13:06] | that has no relevance. | 这没所谓 | 
| [13:08] | It does to me. | 我有所谓 | 
| [13:09] | It’s the prerogative of the jury | 权衡证人的可信度 | 
| [13:11] | to weigh his credibility. They did so. | 是陪审团的所拥有的权限,他们也这么做了 | 
| [13:13] | Mr. Stone, your client lied. | Stone先生,你的当事人撒了谎 | 
| [13:18] | A man is serving a life sentence, | 一个人被判了终身监禁 | 
| [13:20] | in part, because of that lie. | 部分原因是这个谎言导致的 | 
| [13:21] | Allow me to be | 请允许我对此 | 
| [13:23] | a little bit uncomfortable with that. | 多少有些不安吧 | 
| [13:25] | Okay, Ms. Gamble, | 好吧,Gamble女士 | 
| [13:26] | I’ll put myself in your shoes and feel your discomfort. | 我愿意和你感同身受 | 
| [13:29] | Now you put yourself in mine. | 现在你也设身处地替我想想 | 
| [13:31] | Why in God’s name would I ever agree | 我又怎么可能会同意 | 
| [13:34] | to let Kyle Barrett take a lie detector? | 让Kyle Barrettu去接受测谎? | 
| [13:36] | How about simple justice? | 按照简单正义如何? | 
| [13:38] | I was away last week. | 我上周不在 | 
| [13:40] | Did the system suddenly become about that? | 怎么这个体系就变成这样了? | 
| [13:42] | I don’t find cynicism persuasive. | 我不认为你这样愤世嫉俗有什么意思 | 
| [13:45] | Well, idealism can be pretty incredible, as well. | 那理想主义也很不现实 | 
| [13:47] | I will not let my client | 我不会让我的当事人 | 
| [13:50] | expose himself to possible perjury charges… | 自我暴露以至于可能受到伪证指控。。。 | 
| [13:52] | I will grant him immunity on that. | 我会给他相应的豁免权的 | 
| [13:54] | Nor will I advise himto help undo the conviction | 那我也不建议他帮助撤销 | 
| [13:57] | of his sister’s killer. | 对杀害了他姐姐的凶手的定罪。 | 
| [13:58] | Mr. Stone, I won’t sit quiet on this. | Stone先生,我不会傻坐在这里的 | 
| [14:02] | Please. | 拜托 | 
| [14:04] | What are you going to do? | 那你打算干什么? | 
| [14:10] | The Environmental Protection Agency | 环保署 | 
| [14:12] | did extensive testing on CCA throughout the ’80s. | 在80年代对CCA进行了广泛的测试 | 
| [14:15] | We continue to test it, | 我们不断进行测试 | 
| [14:17] | and we have consistently found | 而且我们的结论始终是 | 
| [14:19] | that it does not pose an unreasonable risk | 并没有对成人和儿童 | 
| [14:22] | to either children or adults. | 造成过度的危害 | 
| [14:25] | But with the possibility of a risk, | 但对于危害的可能性 | 
| [14:28] | shouldn’t the EPA do something? | 环保署不应该做些什么吗? | 
| [14:30] | We have. | 我们做了 | 
| [14:31] | The EPA developed a warning program | 环保署制定了一个示警计划 | 
| [14:34] | which requires retailers to issue advisories | 要求零售商发布相关通告 | 
| [14:37] | that CCA poses potential hazards. | 说明CCA是具有潜在危险的 | 
| [14:40] | Their contention that we have done nothing here | 他们认为我们对此什么也没有做的论点 | 
| [14:43] | is false. | 是错误的 | 
| [14:45] | Well, I think their main contention is | 那么,我想他们的主要论点是 | 
| [14:47] | you haven’t done enough. | 你们做的还不够 | 
| [14:48] | We have federal insecticide laws to deal with. | 我们通过联邦有关杀虫剂的法规去处理 | 
| [14:51] | Under the law, we have to weigh | 依照这些法规,我们必须要在 | 
| [14:53] | the potential adverse effects of a chemical | 化学品的潜在副作用和 | 
| [14:56] | against the economic and social benefits and costs. | 社会经济效益成本之间进行权衡 | 
| [15:00] | With CCA, wood lasts up to five times longer. | 使用了CCA,木材可以延长五倍的使用寿命 | 
| [15:04] | Now, this represents a huge benefit to schools | 现在,对于那些如果不这样就永远担负不起游乐的学校 | 
| [15:07] | who could never afford playgrounds otherwise, | 体现出了巨大的受益 | 
| [15:10] | to poor communities who could never build them | 至于那些贫困社区 | 
| [15:13] | without the preservative. | 如果不采用防腐剂的话,他们也永远建不起来 | 
| [15:14] | But with the chance they cause cancer, | 但是,因有致癌的可能 | 
| [15:16] | do we want schools building them? | 我们打算让学校去建造这样的设施吗? | 
| [15:18] | Well, if it really caused cancer, of course not, | 如果真的会致癌的话,当然不能了 | 
| [15:22] | but to date there is no conclusive evidence | 但是截至目前,没有确凿的证据表明 | 
| [15:25] | that exposure to CCA causes cancer | 接触CCA会导致癌症 | 
| [15:27] | or any neurological side effects. | 或者对神经方面有影响 | 
| [15:29] | There just isn’t. | 真的没有 | 
| [15:31] | Are there any conclusive studies to show | 有任何权威性的研究表明 | 
| [15:33] | that it’s safe? | CCA是安全的吗? | 
| [15:34] | No, nor are there with most food preservatives. | 这倒没有,但大多数食品防腐剂也没有 | 
| [15:38] | Should the FDA ban potato chips? | 难道药监局该封杀薯片? | 
| [15:41] | Potato chips don’t contain a pesticide. | 薯条不含杀虫剂 | 
| [15:43] | The pesticide is coated. | 杀虫剂是被涂层覆盖的 | 
| [15:45] | It is sealed, counsel. | 是被密封的,律师 | 
| [15:47] | What if the seal doesn’t work? | 如果密封失效了呢? | 
| [15:49] | You’re aware of Dr. Stilwell’s study | 你了解Stilwell博士的研究吗? | 
| [15:52] | showing the arsenic is leaching | 研究显示砷毒素从游乐设施 | 
| [15:54] | from this playground equipment into the soil? | 渗入土壤中 | 
| [15:56] | That’s one study. The EPA has asked | 关于那个研究,EPA已经要求 | 
| [15:58] | to see the data supporting it. | 得到相关支持的数据 | 
| [16:00] | Until we review it, | 在复核之前 | 
| [16:02] | we can’t attach any scientific credibility. | 我们无法赋予其科学的可信性 | 
| [16:04] | The State of California does. | 可加利福尼亚州这样做了 | 
| [16:06] | They banned these wooden play gyms from schools | 他们禁止木制的游乐设备进入学校 | 
| [16:08] | unless they’re re-coated every other year | 除非每年重新漆一次 | 
| [16:10] | out of fear that the children could be poisoned. | 因为害怕孩子们会中毒 | 
| [16:12] | Many scientists feel that that was an overreaction. | 很多学者觉得那样有些小题大做了 | 
| [16:15] | In 1997, a group of physicians | 1997年,一些内科医生 | 
| [16:17] | and scientists informed the EPA | 和学者告诉环保署 | 
| [16:20] | that wood preservatives constituted a health threat | 木材防腐剂对于这个国家构成 | 
| [16:22] | to this country and — | 健康方面的威胁,而且。。。 | 
| [16:24] | Yes, and conservationists lobby us | 没错,但环保主义者以热带雨林的名义 | 
| [16:26] | on behalf of the rain forest. | 来游说我们 | 
| [16:28] | But without these preservatives, more trees would be cut down. | 没有这些防腐剂,更多的树木要被砍伐 | 
| [16:31] | So kill a child, save a tree? | 所以该害了孩子,去拯救树木? | 
| [16:33] | Objection. | 反对 | 
| [16:35] | Sustained. | 反对有效 | 
| [16:36] | You talked about the EPA requiring advisories | 你谈到环保署要求发布有关 | 
| [16:38] | warning that CCA poses a potential health risk. | 示警CCA有潜在健康危险的通告 | 
| [16:40] | -Yes. -Actually, that was | -是的 -但实际上, | 
| [16:42] | a voluntary program, wasn’t it, Dr. Feldman? | 零售商是自愿发布的,不是吗?Feldman博士? | 
| [16:44] | If the wood industry didn’t want to issue the advisories, | 如果木材行业不想发布这些通告 | 
| [16:47] | they didn’t have to, and most of them still don’t, | 他们也不非做不可,而且他们大多数也没做 | 
| [16:48] | right, doctor? | 对吗,博士? | 
| [16:50] | This wasn’t a situation where a mandate was warranted. | 这种情况下,政府的委托得不到保证 | 
| [16:54] | The truth is you were all set | 事实上,你已经准备好要求发出一个委托令 | 
| [16:56] | to issue a mandate here when the wood manufacturers | 但木材行业制造商们 | 
| [16:58] | suddenly lobbied Congress to get you to back off. | 突然游说国会,让你们别插手 | 
| [17:01] | I don’t know anything about that. | 这些我完全不了解 | 
| [17:02] | And isn’t it true the EPA also backed off | 而且环保署在化工业制造商 | 
| [17:05] | requiring further studies when the chemical industry | 提供了400万美元的竞选捐款给国会议员以对你施压后 | 
| [17:07] | gave $4 million in campaign contributions to congressmen | 也放弃了进一步研究的要求 | 
| [17:11] | to lean on you? | 这些不是事实吗? | 
| [17:12] | The EPA has never been bought, counsel, | 我向你保证 | 
| [17:14] | I assure you. | 环保署从来没有被收买过 | 
| [17:15] | I show you the EPA’s 1981 position paper | 我给你看一下环保署1981年 | 
| [17:18] | regarding inorganic arsenicals, | 有关无机砷化合物的意见书 | 
| [17:20] | and I ask you to read the highlighted paragraph. | 我请你读一下标注出来的段落 | 
| [17:25] | All this basically says is we don’t know. | 这基本上都是说我们不清楚 | 
| [17:29] | You don’t know. | 你们不清楚? | 
| [17:30] | That same paper cites a 1973 study which associates | 同一篇意见书引用了一项1973年的研究结果 | 
| [17:34] | arsenic-tainted milk with severe retardation, | 发育严重迟滞、 | 
| [17:37] | lower I. Q. s, and abnormal EEG findings. | 智商低下和脑电图异常与被砷污染的牛奶有关 | 
| [17:40] | That was a study of Japanese babies. | 那是针对日本婴儿的一项研究 | 
| [17:43] | You don’t count Japan? | 日本的研究不算数是吗? | 
| [17:47] | What else doesn’t the EPA know, doctor, | 还有什么是环保署不知道的,博士? | 
| [17:49] | -and when did they not know it? -Objection. | -而且他们是什么时候不知道的? 反对! | 
| [17:52] | Withdrawn. In 1996, the EPA | 我撤回这个提问。 在1996年,环保署 | 
| [17:54] | failed to warn over a million power plant employees | 没能警告超过一百万电厂员工 | 
| [17:56] | -that they were at risk for mercury poisoning. -Objection. | -有汞中毒的危险。 -反对! | 
| [17:59] | Because the coal lobby pressured you, you backed off there. | 因为煤炭企业游说团给你们施压,你们退缩了 | 
| [18:02] | -Objection. Relevance. -Goes to pattern. | -反对,与本案无关 -这构成一种模式 | 
| [18:04] | They were being bought then just like they’re being bought now. | 他们当时被收买了,就像现在被买了一样 | 
| [18:05] | -Objection! | -Objection! 反对!反对! | 
| [18:07] | Overruled. | 反对无效 | 
| [18:08] | You lay off chemical companies, | 你放过了这些化学品公司 | 
| [18:09] | don’t you, Dr. Feldman? | 不是吗?Feldman博士 | 
| [18:10] | That is absolutely not true. | 这绝对是瞎说 | 
| [18:12] | From 1989 to 1998, | 从1989年到1998年, | 
| [18:15] | of all the hundreds, | 在成百种 | 
| [18:17] | if not thousands of pesticides out there, | 甚至成千种的杀虫剂中 | 
| [18:19] | now many did you get neurotoxicity data on? | 你拿到了其中多少关于神经毒性的数据报告? | 
| [18:22] | I don’t know the exact number. | 我不知道确切的数字 | 
| [18:24] | I do. It’s nine. | 我知道,九个 | 
| [18:26] | Of the hundreds, if not thousands | 在成百种,甚至成千种 | 
| [18:28] | of industrial chemicals, how many did you ask for | 的化工原料中,你索要并且拿到 | 
| [18:32] | and get the neurotoxicity data on? | 其中多少种关于神经毒性数据报告? | 
| [18:34] | Again, I don’t know the number. | 再说一遍,我不知道这个数字 | 
| [18:36] | It’s three. | 是三种 | 
| [18:39] | You guys are quite the watchdogs. | 你们这些家伙简直就是看家狗! | 
| [18:41] | -Objection! | -Objection! 反对!反对! | 
| [18:42] | Withdrawn. Nothing further. | 我撤回这句,没有要问的问题了 | 
| [19:00] | Of the five names you couldn’t identify, | 你认不出的五个名字中 | 
| [19:03] | two were maiden names of married women you did I. D. | 两个是你认识的已婚妇女的婚前姓氏 | 
| [19:06] | One was a pool contractor. | 一个是泳池承包商 | 
| [19:08] | Oh, yeah, we were thinking | 噢,是的,我们去年正打算 | 
| [19:10] | about installing a pool last year. | 建一个游泳池 | 
| [19:12] | One we’re still checking, | 有一个我还在查 | 
| [19:13] | and one was a psychiatrist — Dr. Bernard White. | 还有一个,是一个心理医生,Bernard White医生 | 
| [19:17] | A psychiatrist? | 心理医生? | 
| [19:18] | Was your wife seeing a shrink? | 她在看心理医生吗? | 
| [19:20] | Not that I’m aware of. | 我不知道那回事 | 
| [19:22] | He’s in Cambridge. I’ll pay him a visit. | 他在剑桥,我回去拜访他 | 
| [19:28] | Listen, on the other… | 听我说,关于另一个。。。 | 
| [19:31] | I understand if you want to replace me, | 如果你想换掉我,我是理解的 | 
| [19:34] | I’d even recommend it. | 我甚至建议你这么做 | 
| [19:36] | Can you recommend someone as good | 你能推荐一个 | 
| [19:39] | who will try as hard? | 同样努力的人吗 | 
| [19:41] | Look, Bobby, I’m glad you think you screwed up. | 听着,Bobby,我很高兴你觉得自己搞砸了 | 
| [19:45] | It’s my insurance policy | 你会因此继续努力 | 
| [19:47] | that you’ll keep trying. | 这一点是对我的保障 | 
| [19:49] | I’ll keep trying. | 我会继续努力的 | 
| [19:52] | You don’t have to worry about that. | 你不对此担心 | 
| [19:56] | I’m not. | 我不担心 | 
| [20:03] | They told us it really wasn’t that uncommon | 他们告诉我,一个男孩癫痫发作 | 
| [20:06] | for a boy to have seizures. | 并不是特别少见的 | 
| [20:09] | Did they test him for epilepsy? | 他们给他做了癫痫病的检查吗? | 
| [20:11] | Oh, they tested him for everything. | 噢,他们给他做了彻底的检查 | 
| [20:13] | They finally settled on a toxin getting to the brain. | 最终确诊是因为有一种毒素进入了大脑 | 
| [20:16] | And what did you do? | 你做了些什么? | 
| [20:18] | There was nothing we could do. | 我们无能为力 | 
| [20:20] | We got him on medication, | 我们给他吃 | 
| [20:22] | which controlled the seizures. | 控制癫痫的药物 | 
| [20:25] | We thought, you know, that was that. | 我们想,你知道的,也就这样 | 
| [20:29] | Then, uh… | 之后,呃。。。 | 
| [20:33] | Sarah started falling down. | Sarah开始出现摔倒 | 
| [20:35] | What do you mean she started falling down? | 你说她开始出现摔倒,是什么意思? | 
| [20:37] | She, um… | 她,呃。。。 | 
| [20:41] | She would trip. | 如果她去玩跳房子游戏的话 | 
| [20:43] | If she tried to play hopscotch, | 她会绊倒 | 
| [20:45] | she’d fall flat on her face. | 她会摔到地板上 | 
| [20:47] | They thought maybe she had cerebral palsy. | 他们认为也许她得了脑瘫 | 
| [20:50] | And then things started to happen with Everett? | 随后,Everett也出了问题? | 
| [20:55] | He can’t read. | 他无法阅读 | 
| [20:57] | He will never be in a normal class. | 他永远也不能正常上课 | 
| [20:59] | He’ll never go to college. | 他永远也不能上大学 | 
| [21:04] | And you knew. | 而且你们是知道的 | 
| [21:06] | -Objection. -I have a boy | -反对 -我有个 | 
| [21:07] | whose body convulses, | 身体抽搐 | 
| [21:09] | with foam coming out of his mouth, | 口吐白沫的孩子 | 
| [21:11] | and a daughter who keeps falling down | 还有一个不断会摔倒的女儿 | 
| [21:13] | and a son who can’t read, | 加上一个不能阅读的儿子 | 
| [21:14] | and you people have known for 30 years. | 但你们这些人30年前就知道会这样 | 
| [21:16] | Your honor. | 法官大人 | 
| [21:18] | Mrs. Jamison, please just answer | Jamison太太,请只回答 | 
| [21:19] | the questions you’re asked. | 你被问到的问题 | 
| [21:26] | What was the question? | 问题是什么来着? | 
| [21:29] | The question was, | 问题是 | 
| [21:31] | when your son started having seizures, | 当你的儿子开始癫痫发作的时候 | 
| [21:33] | didn’t the doctors say it could’ve come | 医生有没有说这可能是 | 
| [21:36] | from a whole host of chemicals, | 源自大量的化学品 | 
| [21:38] | including the cleaning solutions you kept in the house? | 包括你留在家里的清洁剂? | 
| [21:41] | And then I got rid of all that stuff. | 那之后,我把这些都扔了 | 
| [21:43] | Do you live near high power lines? | 你住在高压线附近吗? | 
| [21:46] | -Yes, but — -And did the doctors inquire about them? | -是的 -那么医生有没有就此询问过吗? | 
| [21:48] | Yes. They ruled them out as a cause. | 问过,他们排除了高压线的可能。 | 
| [21:51] | Did you and your husband | 你和你的丈夫 | 
| [21:53] | undergo any genetic testing? | 做过遗传基因检查吗? | 
| [21:55] | No. | 没有 | 
| [21:57] | I see. | 我知道了 | 
| [21:59] | Where is the play equipment today? | 那些游乐设施现在在哪里? | 
| [22:01] | It’s still in our backyard. | 还在我的后院 | 
| [22:03] | You think this equipment is harming your children, | 你认为这些设施伤害了你的孩子们 | 
| [22:05] | and it’s still there? | 但却还在原地? | 
| [22:07] | We don’t let them play on it. | 我不让他们再去玩了 | 
| [22:09] | Well, why not get rid of it altogether? | 好吧,为什么你不把那些一起扔了? | 
| [22:11] | -Our lawyers told us not to, not until we — -Objection. | -我们的律师告诉我们不要扔,直到我们。。。 -反对! | 
| [22:13] | I need to advise my client that that is privileged. | 我需要告诉我的当事人,那是享有保密特权的 | 
| [22:15] | She does not need to answer that. | 她不必回答这个问题 | 
| [22:17] | It’s also work product. | 那些属于工作内容 | 
| [22:19] | You kept it as evidence for your lawsuit? | 为了诉讼,你们把这些设施当成证据保留是吗? | 
| [22:20] | Objection. | 反对 | 
| [22:21] | Sustained. | 反对有效 | 
| [22:23] | Just one last question, Mrs. Jamison. | 最后一个问题,Jamison夫人 | 
| [22:25] | Did any doctor who treated your children | 给你们的孩子治疗的医生中 | 
| [22:28] | conclude that their problems | 有没有人推断问题是来自于 | 
| [22:30] | came from the CCA in the play equipment? | 游乐设施中的CCA的? | 
| [22:32] | Did any of them conclude that? | 他们中有人那么推断的吗? | 
| [22:36] | No. | 没有 | 
| [22:40] | Thank you, Mrs. Jamison. | 谢谢你, Jamison夫人 | 
| [22:59] | We really appreciate you taking the time. | 我们非常感谢你抽出时间来 | 
| [23:01] | Sure. But as I told you on the phone, | 应该的,但是正如我在电话里跟你说的 | 
| [23:03] | I’m not comfortable revealing information | 我不愿意透露 | 
| [23:05] | about my patients. | 有关我的病人的信息 | 
| [23:07] | I understand. | 我理解 | 
| [23:08] | You did treat Mrs. Wallace, then. | 你对Wallace太太进行了治疗 | 
| [23:10] | I know the identity of my patients | 我知道我病人的身份 | 
| [23:14] | aren’t protected by privilege, Mr. Donnell. | 是不受医患特权保护的,Donnell先生 | 
| [23:16] | Nevertheless, I am reluctant to reveal them. | 尽管如此,我还是不愿意透露那些 | 
| [23:19] | But as you said yourself, that isn’t privileged. | 但如你所说,那不在保密特权范围内 | 
| [23:22] | And even if it were, | 而且就算那在特权范围内 | 
| [23:23] | it wouldn’t survive the death of the patient. | 当病人去世之后,这个特权也失效了 | 
| [23:26] | Mr. Donnell, I know what the law is. | Donnell先生,我知道法律是什么 | 
| [23:28] | I know you can subpoena my records. | 我也知道通过法庭调取我的医疗病历 | 
| [23:29] | Hence, I agreed to this meeting. | 因此我同意这次会面 | 
| [23:31] | Could you tell us what you were treating her for? | 你能告诉我们你对她的什么症状进行了治疗? | 
| [23:35] | Anxiety, sleepless and depression. | 焦虑、失眠和抑郁 | 
| [23:40] | Did you say depression? | 你说抑郁? | 
| [23:43] | -Yes. -You know that we argued that she killed herself. | -是的 -你知道我们的论点是她是自杀 | 
| [23:46] | Yes, I read the papers. | 是的,我看了报纸 | 
| [23:49] | Well, why didn’t you come forward? | 那你为什么不出来作证? | 
| [23:50] | The prosecution was claiming she wasn’t suicidal. | 控方说她不是自杀的 | 
| [23:52] | You had information that she was depressed. | 而你知道她有抑郁症 | 
| [23:54] | Mr. Donnell, 80% of my patients are depressed. | Donnell先生,我八成的病人有抑郁症 | 
| [23:58] | They don’t typically take their own lives. | 他们通常不会自杀 | 
| [23:59] | But sometimes they do. | 但有时他们会的 | 
| [24:01] | -How could you sit on this? -I sat on this because I don’t believe | -你怎么能就坐视不顾呢? -我这样是因为我不能肯定 | 
| [24:04] | that Karen was suicidal. Secondly, if psychiatrists | Karen是自杀的,其次,如果心理医生们 | 
| [24:07] | start speaking posthumously on their patients | 在病人死后透露其病情 | 
| [24:09] | that could have a chilling effect on treatment. | 这可能会对治疗产生寒流效应 | 
| [24:11] | Most people want their record sealed, | 大多数病人希望不管生前还是去世以后 | 
| [24:13] | before their death and after. | 他们的病例是封存的 | 
| [24:15] | We had a man charged with murder here. | 可我们有个当事人被指控谋杀呀 | 
| [24:17] | The jury convicted him | 而且陪审团因不相信她抑郁 | 
| [24:18] | because they didn’t believe the idea she was depressed. | 而判被告有罪 | 
| [24:21] | Don’t yell at me. | 别冲我嚷嚷 | 
| [24:22] | -I will yell at you! -Bobby. -Bobby | -我就要冲你嚷嚷 | 
| [24:24] | -What the hell were you thinking? -All right. | -你他妈的想什么呢? -好了好了 | 
| [24:26] | -I was thinking she was probably murdered. -Well, you were wrong! | -我想的是她也许就是被谋杀的。 -拉倒吧,你是错的! | 
| [24:28] | Bobby. Bobby。 | |
| [24:35] | We need this guy. | 我们还得指望他呢 | 
| [24:42] | Can we get those records? | 病历可以给我们吗? | 
| [24:45] | Please. | 拜托了 | 
| [24:53] | We live in a land of chemicals, | 我们生活在充满着完全失控的 | 
| [24:55] | and it’s pretty out of control. | 的多种化学品的环境中 | 
| [24:58] | There’s an epidemic of autism in California. | 在加州有一种流行性的自闭症 | 
| [25:01] | It’s up over 200% in the last 13 years. | 最近13年里增长了200% | 
| [25:05] | In New York, | 在纽约 | 
| [25:06] | learning disabilities are up 55%. | 学习障碍症增加了55% | 
| [25:09] | The likely culprit — | 多半的罪魁祸首是 | 
| [25:11] | chemicals. | 化学品 | 
| [25:12] | And we can’t expect the private industries | 我们也不能奢望这些私营企业 | 
| [25:15] | to monitor themselves. | 能自我管控 | 
| [25:17] | The market is just too competitive, | 市场竞争过于激烈 | 
| [25:19] | just like in everything else. | 各行各业都是如此 | 
| [25:21] | If the wood manufacturers | 如果木材制造商 | 
| [25:22] | can make these play gyms and deck porches better — | 能把他们的游乐设施、露天平台和门廊做得更好 | 
| [25:25] | more profitable — they will, | 更有利润空间,他们就会那样做的 | 
| [25:27] | and they won’t worry about the toxic side effects, | 而且他们不会去顾忌产品的毒副作用 | 
| [25:30] | and that’s why we need the EPA. | 这也就是为什么我们需要环保署的原因 | 
| [25:34] | Just like, as the airlines become more competitive | 这好比当航空公司为了使其变得更有竞争力 | 
| [25:36] | and cut back on their mechanics to increase profits, | 减少他们的维护机修工人以增加利润 | 
| [25:40] | we need the FAA to step in and protect us, | 我们就需要航管局介入以保证我们的安全 | 
| [25:42] | so, too, do we need the EPA | 所以,同理,我们需要环保署 | 
| [25:45] | to fulfill its duty to the public. | 来履行他们对公众所负的职责 | 
| [25:48] | And the fact is they’re not. | 但是事实上,他们没有做到 | 
| [25:51] | They’ve known for decades it could be dangerous, | 几十年来,他们都知道存在危险 | 
| [25:54] | and they have done nothing. | 但他们没有采取任何举措 | 
| [25:59] | They are still doing nothing. | 而且继续置若罔闻 | 
| [26:03] | Why? | 原因何在? | 
| [26:05] | In part because of politics. | 部分是因为政治因素 | 
| [26:09] | Campaign contributions from chemical companies | 木材制造商和化学品公司提供的竞选捐款 | 
| [26:11] | and wood manufacturers have resulted in successful lobbying | 进行了成功的游说 | 
| [26:16] | to get the EPA to back off, and children | 导致环保署对其退让 | 
| [26:19] | like the Jamison kids are getting severely hurt. | 很多如同Jamison家的孩子一样的儿童,受到了严重的伤害 | 
| [26:23] | The EPA throws its hands up and says, | 而环保署双手一摊,说 | 
| [26:26] | “Hey, you can’t prove it. We don’t know for sure. | “喂,你们不能提供证明,我们当然不清楚” | 
| [26:28] | We don’t have the data. The tests are incomplete.” | “我们没有数据,测试也不完备” | 
| [26:30] | Well, why aren’t they ordering those tests? | 那么,他们为什么不要求开展这些测试? | 
| [26:32] | Why aren’t they demanding data? | 为什么他们不索要数据? | 
| [26:34] | They have restricted the use of CCA | 他们对农场牲畜而不是儿童们的 | 
| [26:37] | around farm animals but not around children. | 周边环境限制了CCA的使用 | 
| [26:42] | Is it because the farming industry | 这是不是因为农场主对他们进行了游说? | 
| [26:44] | has a lobby but children don’t? | 而儿童们没有。。。 | 
| [26:48] | What is going on? | 到底是怎么回事? | 
| [26:50] | They’ve known for decades | 他们几十年前就知道 | 
| [26:53] | that there’s arsenic in that wood. | 木材中含有砷毒素 | 
| [26:55] | It gets out, it gets ingested, it gets inhaled, | 这些毒素渗出来、被吞入,被吸入 | 
| [26:57] | and they haven’t done so much | 而他们甚至于 | 
| [26:59] | as to alert the public of the risk. | 连对公众发出警示都没有去做 | 
| [27:02] | And that’s all it would have taken here. | 而这里应该做的只是 | 
| [27:04] | A simple warning, | 一个简单的警示 | 
| [27:06] | and the Jamisons never would have put that play gym | Jamisons家就不会在后院 | 
| [27:09] | in their backyard. | 安装那些游乐设施 | 
| [27:13] | You heard their star witness Dr. Feldman. | 你们听到了对方的明星证人Feldman博士的言论 | 
| [27:16] | He said EPA decisions are made on a cost-benefit analysis. | 他说环保署的决策基于成本和效益分析 | 
| [27:22] | We need you to put a big price tag | 我们需要你们给他们的失职 | 
| [27:24] | on their failures. | 贴上一个大价签 | 
| [27:26] | We need you to make it cost-efficient | 我们需要你们为了保护我们的孩子 | 
| [27:28] | for them to protect our children. | 给他们算算成本效益 | 
| [27:32] | One thing is clear — | 有件事是清楚的 | 
| [27:35] | if you don’t, they won’t. | 如果你们不做,他们也不会去做 | 
| [27:52] | She’s right about one thing — | 她有件事说对了 | 
| [27:56] | we do live in an age of chemicals. | 我们生活在一个化学制品的时代 | 
| [28:00] | Want to kill the mosquito with the Nile virus? | 想灭掉携带尼罗河病毒的蚊子? | 
| [28:04] | Chemicals. | 用化学制品 | 
| [28:05] | Don’t want to get botulism from your canned soup? | 想避免染上罐头汤中的肉毒杆菌? | 
| [28:08] | Chemicals. Preservatives. | 还是化学制品,防腐剂 | 
| [28:11] | And I suppose the EPA | 我假设环保署 | 
| [28:14] | could demand proof that every one | 要求每种化学制品 | 
| [28:16] | of those chemicals is completely safe | 在被投入使用之前 | 
| [28:18] | before allowing their usage, | 都要被证明是绝对安全的 | 
| [28:20] | and people would die of contaminants and viruses | 那么,很多、很多而且是更多的人们 | 
| [28:24] | and bacteria — many, many more people. | 会死于污染物和病毒,还有细菌 | 
| [28:27] | Almost every consumer product | 几乎所有的消费品 | 
| [28:30] | poses some unproven health risk. | 都会造成一些未经证实的健康风险 | 
| [28:34] | Should the EPA ban them all? | 环保署应该把它们全都禁掉? | 
| [28:36] | They studied CCA in wood. | 他们对木材里的CCA进行了研究 | 
| [28:39] | The EPA appointed a special scientific advisory panel | 环保署任命了一个专门的科学咨询小组 | 
| [28:42] | to look at this. | 对此进行评判 | 
| [28:43] | Their recommendation back to the EPA | 他们反馈给环保署的建议 | 
| [28:46] | was not to ban the substance. | 并不是要禁止这种材料 | 
| [28:48] | Now, the plaintiffs | 现在,原告方 | 
| [28:49] | may not like those scientific findings, | 也许不喜欢这些科学结论 | 
| [28:52] | they may choose to disagree, | 他们会选择不同意 | 
| [28:54] | but this notion that the EPA knew it was dangerous | 但是,认为环保署明知存在风险 | 
| [28:57] | and chose to ignore the risks | 却在收取了报酬的国会议员的影响下 | 
| [28:59] | under the influence of paid-off congressmen — | 选择对风险置若罔闻 | 
| [29:01] | that’s as slanderous as it is baseless. | 这种说法是毫无根据的诽谤 | 
| [29:04] | This is something they are studying. | 这是他们正在进行研究的问题 | 
| [29:07] | The EPA is a government agency doing its very best to keep up | 环境保护局是一个政府机构,正尽其最大努力来跟上 | 
| [29:11] | with this rapidly changing scientific landscape, | 快速变化的科学环境 | 
| [29:14] | and the decisions it makes, | 至于做出的抉择 | 
| [29:16] | they have to be made on what is known | 他们不得不基于那些已知的信息 | 
| [29:20] | as opposed to what’s not. | 而不是基于那些未知的信息 | 
| [29:22] | And today, like yesterday, | 当前,跟以往一样 | 
| [29:25] | it has not been scientifically established | 还不能科学地确定 | 
| [29:27] | that CCA causes the neurological defects | CCA会导致神经系统缺陷这一观点 | 
| [29:29] | the plaintiffs speak of. | 原告方谈到过 | 
| [29:31] | And even if it did, | 即使这个观点得到了科学证实 | 
| [29:33] | they have offered no medical evidence whatsoever | 他们提供不出任何医学证据来证明 | 
| [29:36] | that it did so in the case of the Jamison children. | 具体到Jamison家的孩子们,是由于CCA引发的问题 | 
| [29:39] | Their own doctor admitted she was speculating, | 他们自己的医生承认她也在猜测 | 
| [29:41] | she was guessing at what caused these injuries. | 她在猜测是什么造成了这些伤害 | 
| [29:45] | As much as you may feel for these children — | 我和你们一样同情这些孩子们。。。 | 
| [29:48] | and you should feel, as should we all — | 但你们也应该感到,正如我们都感到的是 | 
| [29:53] | we have to admit that their entire case | 我们不得不承认,这个案子完全是 | 
| [29:55] | is based on pure speculation | 基于纯粹的推测 | 
| [30:00] | and nothing more. | 再也没有别的什么了 | 
| [30:24] | You want me to sign this? | 你居然让我签这个? | 
| [30:26] | It’s what happened, Richard. | 这是实际情况,Richard | 
| [30:28] | An affidavit saying I coached a witness to lie? | 一份说我指导证人撒谎的宣誓书? | 
| [30:30] | It doesn’t say lie. | 没说是撒谎 | 
| [30:31] | That’s the implication. | 就是这个含义 | 
| [30:33] | Richard — Richard。。。 | |
| [30:34] | What the hell is going on? | 见鬼了,到底怎么了? | 
| [30:35] | We both know he lied. | 我们都知道他撒了谎 | 
| [30:36] | He made that stuff up about his sister being afraid. | 说他姐姐感到恐慌的事,是他编造的 | 
| [30:39] | Helen, what are you trying to accomplish? | Helen,你想达到什么目的? | 
| [30:41] | He should get a new trial. | 他应该重新受审 | 
| [30:47] | I’m not signing this. | 我不签这东西 | 
| [30:48] | Richard, we can’t just let — | Richard,我们不能让。。。 | 
| [30:49] | You’re not taking me down. | 你别拖我下水 | 
| [30:51] | You might have some professional death wish. | 你可能嘬死很在行 | 
| [30:52] | I don’t, and if you think | 可我不,你想想看 | 
| [30:54] | that I’m going to let you go forward — | 我那是帮你。。。 | 
| [30:55] | I was in the room. I heard what you told him. | 我就在那里,我听到你跟他说了什么 | 
| [30:58] | I told him what his testimony needed to accomplish. | 我告诉他要完成他的证词需要什么 | 
| [31:01] | I never said lie. | 我从未教他说谎 | 
| [31:03] | But that is what he did. | 但他就是撒了谎 | 
| [31:05] | You don’t know that. | 你也不能确定 | 
| [31:06] | Maybe he lied, but neither of us know that. | 也许他撒谎了,但我们俩都不确定 | 
| [31:09] | Maybe you can live with this conviction. I can’t. | 也许你可以接受这种想法,我可做不到 | 
| [31:14] | Well, I’ll fight you on this, Helen. | 那好,我会跟你斗下去的,Helen | 
| [31:16] | I’ll fight you all the way. | 不惜一切代价 | 
| [31:20] | You know, Richard, | 你知道吗?Richard | 
| [31:22] | it’s one thing to be competitive. | 争强好胜是一回事 | 
| [31:25] | It is another to try and rack up convictions | 但出于野心,无视别人的清白 | 
| [31:27] | out of ambition | 而试图去提高定罪率 | 
| [31:29] | with no regard for a man’s innocence. | 则是另一回事! | 
| [31:32] | I don’t believe he’s innocent, | 我不信他是无辜的 | 
| [31:37] | and if you go forward | 如果你没完没了 | 
| [31:38] | saying I coached a witness to lie, | 说我教唆证人撒谎 | 
| [31:43] | your career could be over. | 你的职业也完蛋了 | 
| [31:46] | Our friendship definitely will be. | 我们的友情也一定会终结 | 
| [32:11] | I don’t know if the jury liked your closing, Lindsay, | 我说不好陪审团是不是喜欢你的结案陈词,Lindsay | 
| [32:14] | but the defense was impressed. | 但却打动了被告方 | 
| [32:16] | We have a new offer. | 我们得到了一个新的报价 | 
| [32:18] | What? | 什么? | 
| [32:19] | $225,000 per child. | 每个孩子赔偿225000美金 | 
| [32:22] | That’s $675,000, | 总共是675000美金 | 
| [32:24] | and they will write a check right now. | 他们现在就可以支付 | 
| [32:28] | That, uh… that beats $20,000. | 那,噢。。。那比20000美金强太多了 | 
| [32:31] | It certainly does. | 当然了 | 
| [32:33] | Should we take it? | 我们应该接受吗? | 
| [32:34] | Well, it’s hard to turn that down, | 呃,很难拒绝吧 | 
| [32:38] | but I suspect they had jury consultants sitting in on the trial | 我怀疑他们雇佣了庭审顾问做参谋 | 
| [32:41] | who had advised them to settle, so I don’t know. | 顾问建议他们进行和解,所以,我说不好 | 
| [32:44] | 675. | 675000美金 | 
| [32:47] | Could we get more? | 我们还能得到更多一些吗? | 
| [32:50] | We could. | 有可能 | 
| [32:51] | We could also lose. | 但我们也有可能会输 | 
| [32:54] | I think we’re going to get more. | 我想我们要争取多得到一些 | 
| [32:57] | Why? | 为什么? | 
| [32:59] | I just do. | 我就是想 | 
| [33:01] | This isn’t the time to get greedy. | 现在不是贪婪的时候。 | 
| [33:03] | It’s not about greed, Mr. Berluti. | 着跟是否贪婪无关,Berluti先生 | 
| [33:06] | Like Lindsay said, | 正如Lindsay所说的 | 
| [33:08] | we want them to fix the problem. | 我们希望他们改正这个问题 | 
| [33:10] | Angela has intuition about these things. | Angela最这类事总是有直觉 | 
| [33:15] | Let’s go to verdict. | 我们去等待裁决吧 | 
| [33:17] | Are you sure? | 你确定吗? | 
| [33:19] | Are you? | 你呢? | 
| [33:22] | It’s going to be more. | 去争取多得到一些吧 | 
| [33:31] | It’s right here — depression. | 就记在这里,抑郁 | 
| [33:33] | He wanted to prescribe antidepressants. | 他想给她开抗抑郁药 | 
| [33:35] | She didn’t want to take them. | 但她不想把药带走 | 
| [33:36] | It’s all right here. | 这里都记录着 | 
| [33:37] | Lucy, see if we can get in to see Judge Wolfe | Lucy,看一下日程,是否我们今天下午 | 
| [33:39] | this afternoon. This is new evidence. | 可以去拜访Wolfe,有了新的证据 | 
| [33:40] | Eugene, call Helen Gamble, tell her — | Eugene,打电话给Gamble,告诉她。。。 | 
| [33:43] | Helen, we were just talking about you. | Helen,我们正说到你 | 
| [33:47] | We got new evidence on the Wallace case. | 我们得到了Wallace案件的新证据 | 
| [33:50] | Really? I’ve got some news on that myself. | 是吗?对此我也有些新的消息 | 
| [33:53] | What? | 是吗? | 
| [33:54] | I’m convinced | 我确信 | 
| [33:56] | that Kyle Barrett lied on the stand | Kyle Barrett在检察官的教唆下 | 
| [33:59] | after being coached by the prosecution. | 做了伪证 | 
| [34:16] | Is it a good sign, them coming back so fast? | 他们这么快回来,是好征兆吗? | 
| [34:20] | No. | 不是 | 
| [34:23] | Deliberations on damages would have been lengthy. | 关于损害赔偿的讨论会很长时间 | 
| [34:26] | If they find no liability, | 如果他们认为不存在责任问题 | 
| [34:28] | then the damages will be moot. | 那么相关的损害也就没有讨论意义了 | 
| [34:31] | Can we still take their offer? | 我们还能接受他们给的报价吗? | 
| [34:35] | I asked. | 我问一下 | 
| [34:37] | They laughed. | 他们在笑 | 
| [34:42] | Madam Foreperson, the jury has rendered its verdict? | 主席夫人,陪审团做出裁决了吗? | 
| [34:45] | We have, your honor. | 是的,法官大人 | 
| [34:47] | What say you? | 请宣布 | 
| [34:49] | In the matter of Steven Jamison et al. | 有关Steven Jamison起诉 | 
| [34:51] | Vs. The environmental protection agency, | 环保署一案 | 
| [34:53] | we find in favor of the plaintiff | 我们裁决原告胜诉 | 
| [34:56] | and order the defendant | 并责令被告方 | 
| [34:59] | to pay damages in the amount | 支付损害赔偿金 | 
| [35:02] | of $72 million. | 七千二百万美金 | 
| [35:04] | (crowd murmuring) | |
| [35:15] | Oh, my God. Oh, my God. | 我的天呀,天呀 | 
| [35:16] | ANGELA: Oh, my God. Oh, my God. | 我的天呀 | 
| [35:29] | (judge pounds gavel) | |
| [35:30] | Your honor — your honor — | 法官大人,法官大人 | 
| [35:32] | Settle down. This court is still in session. | 安静下来,法庭还没休庭呢 | 
| [35:35] | Your honor, the defense moves to remit the award. | 法官大人,辩方提出动议减免损害赔偿金 | 
| [35:37] | We also move that the verdict be set aside. | 我们也提出动议撤销判决 | 
| [35:39] | Opposed. | 反对 | 
| [35:40] | I will see counsel in chambers immediately. | 律师们,到内廷商议 | 
| [35:42] | (judge pounds gavel) | |
| [35:44] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事? | 
| [35:46] | They’re looking to strike the award as excessive. | 他们在试图指责这个赔付金额过度 | 
| [35:49] | Can they do that? | 他们可以这么做吗? | 
| [35:51] | Well, $72 million is a lot. | 七千二百万确实太多了 | 
| [35:52] | But that’s what the jury found. | 但陪审团这么裁决的 | 
| [35:54] | Let us talk to the judge | 让我们去和法官谈谈 | 
| [35:55] | and we’ll see what’s going on, okay? | 就知道怎么回事了,好吗? | 
| [35:59] | It’s all right. | 稍安勿躁 | 
| [36:02] | The number alone tells you the jury was off-base. | 这个数字只能告诉你们,陪审团大错特错了 | 
| [36:06] | The fact that they deliberated for an hour — | 事实上,他们商议了一个小时 | 
| [36:08] | Maybe it has something to do with the merits. | 也许这是个优点 | 
| [36:09] | All right. | 好了 | 
| [36:11] | I’m granting defense’s motion to remit. | 我同意被告方提出的减免动议 | 
| [36:13] | The knockdown number is $135,000 per child. | 减免后的数字是每个孩子赔付135000美金 | 
| [36:19] | What? | 什么? | 
| [36:20] | You chopped it from $72 million | 你从7200万砍到 | 
| [36:23] | to $400,000? | 40万? | 
| [36:25] | That’s less than they offered. | 那比他们提出的和解出价还低 | 
| [36:27] | I don’t care. Your case was pure speculation, counsel. | 那不关我的事,你们的案子纯属猜测,律师 | 
| [36:29] | This isn’t a matter of law. | 这不属于法律的范畴 | 
| [36:31] | You are substituting your judgment for theirs. | 你用你的判断力取代陪审团的 | 
| [36:33] | Which I am entitled to do | 当判决和事实不符的时候 | 
| [36:35] | when the verdict isn’t supported by the facts. | 我有权力这么做 | 
| [36:37] | We have a right to a new trial. | 我们也有权要求重审 | 
| [36:39] | We do not have to eat your number. | 我们不必忍气吞声接受你给的数额 | 
| [36:41] | If you take a new trial, | 如果你要重审 | 
| [36:43] | you’ll be right back before me, Ms. Frutt, | 你还会落到我手上,Frutt女士 | 
| [36:45] | and any number over $135,000, I’ll remit again, | 而且只要超过135000,我都会再次减免 | 
| [36:49] | if you’re lucky to win next time. | 如果你有幸下次能赢的话 | 
| [36:50] | There’s no guarantee the jury will be | 也不能保证那个陪审团 | 
| [36:52] | as stupid as this one. | 会跟这次的一样蠢 | 
| [36:54] | And if you do win, I might remit the next knockdown | 如果你确实赢了,我会降低下一次的压价 | 
| [36:55] | to $75,000. | 到75000美金 | 
| [36:59] | I strongly suggest that you accept this proposal. | 我强烈建议你们接受这个建议 | 
| [37:03] | This isn’t right. | 这样不对 | 
| [37:05] | This isn’t right. | 这样是没道理的 | 
| [37:08] | Meet with your clients, | 去跟你的当事人商量一下吧 | 
| [37:10] | then notify my clerk of your acceptance. | 然后接受结果,通知我的书记员 | 
| [37:21] | Given this newly discovered evidence | 鉴于这个新发现的证据 | 
| [37:23] | concerning the victim’s depression, | 考虑到受害者的抑郁症 | 
| [37:25] | coupled with this revelation by the district attorney | 再加上地方检察官 | 
| [37:29] | regarding the veracity of their lead witness, | 对他们的主要证人真实性的揭发 | 
| [37:31] | the interests of justice | 基于司法公正原则 | 
| [37:33] | demand that the verdict be overturned. | 要求推翻本案的裁决 | 
| [37:35] | In the alternative, the court should order a new trial. | 或者,进行重审 | 
| [37:39] | I take strong exception to the suggestion | 我对有关我教唆证人作伪证 | 
| [37:42] | that I coached a witness to lie. | 的主张表示强烈的异议 | 
| [37:43] | There’s no evidence the witness did lie, | 没有任何证据说明证人撒谎了 | 
| [37:46] | only opinion. | 这只是一种看法而已 | 
| [37:47] | Coming from Helen Gamble. | 着来自于Helen Gamble | 
| [37:48] | Helen Gamble’s opinion carries no legal relevance. | Helen Gamble的看法不存在法律相关性 | 
| [37:50] | I assure you | 我向你保证 | 
| [37:51] | she has no credibility within our own department. | 她在我们的部门里毫无信誉可言 | 
| [37:54] | Why, because she’s honest? | 为什么?因为她的诚实? | 
| [37:55] | All right. | 够了 | 
| [37:57] | Your honor, this was not our lead witness. | 法官大人,这不是我们的主要证人 | 
| [37:59] | This was a witness. | 只是一个普通证人而已 | 
| [38:01] | Who supplied motive. | 可他提供了动机 | 
| [38:03] | You challenged his truthfulness at trial. | 你在庭审的时候质询过他的诚信 | 
| [38:05] | You have nothing new | 你现在在这里也没有提出 | 
| [38:06] | with which to challenge it here. | 什么新鲜东西去质询他 | 
| [38:08] | As for the doctor’s report, I spoke to Dr. White. | 至于医生的病历,我和White医生谈过了 | 
| [38:11] | He did not consider Karen Wallace | 他不认为Karen Wallace | 
| [38:13] | to be suicidal. | 会自杀 | 
| [38:15] | The prosecution portrayed her as optimistic. | 控方把她是描述成一个很乐观的人 | 
| [38:18] | Which you also challenged at trial. | 这一点你在庭审过程种也进行了质询 | 
| [38:20] | Not with these medical reports, we didn’t. | 没有这些医疗病历,我们没办法进行质询 | 
| [38:22] | All right. Ms. Gamble brought her concerns | 好了,Gamble 女士提出了她的顾虑 | 
| [38:25] | regarding this witness to the court’s attention. | 提请法庭关注这个证人 | 
| [38:27] | As I told her, | 正如我跟她说的 | 
| [38:29] | it is the jury’s function | 权衡Barrett的可信度 | 
| [38:30] | to weigh Mr. Barrett’s credibility, | 是陪审团需要做的 | 
| [38:33] | not hers. | 而不是需要她去做的 | 
| [38:34] | As I go through her affidavit, | 我查阅了她的宣誓书 | 
| [38:37] | I don’t think Mr. Bay crossed the line. | 我不认为Bay先生越界了 | 
| [38:39] | Lawyers prepare witnesses all the time. | 律师总是帮助证人做准备 | 
| [38:42] | I see no evidence that he solicited perjury. | 我看不出有证据表明他是在做伪证 | 
| [38:45] | As for the doctor’s report, | 至于医生提供的病历 | 
| [38:48] | I find that to be relevant, | 我认为那是有重要的关联意义的 | 
| [38:51] | but I am not satisfied | 但是我也不确信 | 
| [38:53] | that it would have resulted in a different verdict. | 那会导致一个不同的判决 | 
| [38:56] | The conviction, therefore, stands. | 因此,定罪成立 | 
| [38:59] | Defendant’s motion for a new trial is denied, | 辩方要求重审的动议被驳回 | 
| [39:02] | and we are adjourned. | 休庭 | 
| [39:17] | I’m not quitting. | 我不会罢手的 | 
| [39:22] | Well, what happens now? | 好,现在怎么办? | 
| [39:24] | We’ll go to appeals, | 我们会提出上诉 | 
| [39:25] | challenge some of the legal rulings. | 对一些法律规则进行质疑 | 
| [39:30] | I’m not quitting. | 我不会就此罢手的 | 
| [39:52] | I don’t understand. | 我不能理解 | 
| [39:54] | The judge can cut back an award | 如果法官觉得太高了 | 
| [39:58] | if he thinks it’s too high. | 他可以砍掉赔偿金 | 
| [40:00] | What’s the point of a jury trial? | 陪审团审判又有什么意义? | 
| [40:03] | We go through all that with a jury… | 我们和陪审团一起经历这一切 | 
| [40:05] | Well, judges don’t like to do it. | 呃,法官们通常并不想这样做 | 
| [40:08] | With this guy, I’m not sure. | 至于这个法官,我搞不清楚 | 
| [40:11] | So if we opt for a new trial, | 那么如果我们申请重审 | 
| [40:13] | we’ll get him again? | 我们还会碰上他? | 
| [40:15] | That’s what he’s saying — | 他是那么说的。。。 | 
| [40:16] | that he’s going to keep it on his docket. | 他要把这事记在他的案宗上 | 
| [40:19] | It could be a year before– | 可能会一年。。。(在法官失去对案子的管辖权之前) | 
| [40:22] | (sighs) I’m going to be sick. | 我感觉要生病了 | 
| [40:25] | I think — | 我想。。。 | 
| [40:29] | I think we have to eat it at $135,000. | 我想我们不得不接受135000美金这个结果 | 
| [40:31] | If he keeps jurisdiction, | 如果他保持司法管辖权 | 
| [40:33] | he’s told us that we can’t do better. | 他告诉我们了,我们不能得到更好的结果 | 
| [40:35] | We could lose. | 我们会输的 | 
| [40:37] | This is so unfair. | 这太不公平了 | 
| [40:40] | We should be able to get the money today. | 我们应该今天可以拿到钱 | 
| [40:51] | We got no choice. | 我们没得选 | 
| [40:55] | This isn’t fair. | 这真是太不公平了 | 
| [41:10] | You blind-sided the department — | 你让这个部门措手不及。。。 | 
| [41:12] | embarrassed it. | 使其难堪 | 
| [41:14] | And now we have to deal with a media that– | 而今我们必须要面对媒体 | 
| [41:18] | I think that it would be best | 如果你提出辞呈 | 
| [41:21] | if you submitted your resignation. | 我认为那样是最好的 | 
| [41:23] | You’re not getting my resignation, | 你不会得到我的辞呈的 | 
| [41:27] | and if you fire me over this… | 而且,如果你因此解雇我的话。。。 | 
| [41:31] | then just watch the media come at you. | 就等着媒体来找你吧 | 
| [41:34] | Why are you doing this, Helen? | Helen,你为什么要这么做? | 
| [41:36] | We all say better to let a guilty man go free | 我们都说,宁可放过一个罪人 | 
| [41:39] | than put an innocent one in jail. | 也不能冤枉一个好人 | 
| [41:41] | An innocent man is serving a life sentence, Kate. | Kate,一个无辜的人被判终身监禁 | 
| [41:46] | If this were Texas, he might already be dead. | 如果他在德克萨斯州,他或许已经被执行死刑了 | 
| [41:49] | When, suddenly, did you become the jury? | 你什么时候突然变成了陪审团? | 
| [41:52] | The jury doesn’t know he passed a polygraph. | 陪审团不知道他通过了测谎 | 
| [41:56] | The jury doesn’t know a witness was coached, | 陪审团不知道证人是被教唆的 | 
| [41:58] | that he lied. | 他撒谎了 | 
| [42:01] | The jury doesn’t know a lot of stuff, Kate. | 很多事情,陪审团并不知情,Kate | 
| [42:04] | I do. | 可我知道 | 
| [42:06] | You’re right, Helen. | 你是对的,Helen | 
| [42:10] | I can’t retaliate over this. | 我不能因此报复你 | 
| [42:14] | So I’m going to just go back to my office | 所以我只能回到我办公室 | 
| [42:17] | and wait for your next mistake. | 等着你下一次犯错 | 
| [42:20] | Every day I’ll just wait. | 我每天都会等着 | 
| [42:25] | Thanks for dropping by, Kate. | 谢谢你的光临,Kate | 
| [43:04] | Okay, look… | ok,听着。。。 | 
| [43:06] | we had a bad day. We’ll have them again. | 我们今天很不顺,以后还会再这样的 | 
| [43:14] | We can’t just sit here and brood. | 我们不能坐在这里发傻 | 
| [43:20] | Bec’s right. | Bec说的对 | 
| [43:22] | We got to concentrate on picking up pieces now. | 我们现在得集中精力收拾残局 | 
| [43:30] | I’m going to get him. | 我这就去收拾他 | 
| [43:35] | That judge — | 那个法官。。。 | 
| [43:38] | I’m going to get him. | 我这就去收拾了他 | 
| [44:06] | ? (theme) | |
| [44:31] | You stinker! |