| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:02] | Previously on “The Practice”… 2 00:00:02,235 –> 00:00:04,270 We have one last pretrial | 前集回顾部分未进行翻译 | 
| [00:04] | where I’ll try to suppress your statement. | |
| [00:05] | Scott, if I’m unsuccessful– | |
| [00:08] | No, no, no. No, I’m not taking manslaughter, Bobby. | |
| [00:10] | Please don’t ask me that again! | |
| [00:13] | -He’s going to walk? -I’m not saying that, but– | |
| [00:16] | But what? He killed my sister. Don’t tell me now that– | |
| [00:19] | Mr. Barrett, as we have explained from the start, | |
| [00:22] | our case is hugely circumstantial. | |
| [00:24] | You knew your sister, sir. | |
| [00:26] | There is no way she would ever take her own life, | |
| [00:29] | not in any circumstance. | |
| [00:31] | She was murdered. | |
| [00:32] | If you know it– She did not commit suicide– | |
| [00:35] | You absolutely know it. | |
| [00:37] | She said that if she turned up missing, | |
| [00:39] | that I should call the police | |
| [00:41] | because Scott probably did something to her. | |
| [00:43] | BOBBY: Objection! | |
| [00:44] | You want me to sign this– | |
| [00:46] | An affidavit saying I coached a witness to lie? | |
| [00:48] | He made that stuff up about his sister being afraid. | |
| [00:50] | Helen, I told him | |
| [00:52] | what his testimony needed to accomplish. | |
| [00:54] | I never said lie. | |
| [00:56] | I’m convinced that Kyle Barrett lied on the stand | |
| [00:58] | after being coached by the prosecution. | |
| [01:02] | I don’t think Mr. Bay crossed the line. | |
| [01:03] | I see no evidence that he solicited perjury. | |
| [01:07] | The conviction therefore stands. | |
| [01:10] | I’ll get a new trial, right? | |
| [01:11] | I mean, the judge made all of those mistakes. | |
| [01:13] | Am I going to get a new trial? | |
| [01:15] | That’s what we’re hoping for. | |
| [01:17] | I thought I was okay, | |
| [01:18] | but I’m feeling maybe I’m not. | |
| [01:21] | Just hurry. | |
| [01:27] | Two years? That’s it? | 两年?就这样吗? | 
| [01:30] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [01:34] | It’s a decent plea for us. | 对我们而言,这个认罪协议不错了 | 
| [01:36] | If he gets convicted, | 如果他被定罪, | 
| [01:38] | the most he’d serve is probably three. | 最多也就是判三年 | 
| [01:41] | But I could’ve died, Helen. | 但是我差点死了呀,Helen | 
| [01:43] | I understand, but like you said, | 这我理解,但就像你说的 | 
| [01:45] | you didn’t think he was really trying to kill you. | 你并不认为他真的想杀了你 | 
| [01:47] | But he tried to hurt me. | 但他是要伤害我的 | 
| [01:49] | Which is why he’s about to go on trial. | 可他也因此受审了 | 
| [01:52] | I’ll get him, Margaret, but if we can get the plea… | 我会让他被定罪的,Margaret, 但如果我们能达成认罪协议。。。 | 
| [01:56] | you don’t want to be put through this. | 你不会想让自己熬过整个庭审过程的 | 
| [01:58] | I know your husband’s lawyers. | 我认识代理你丈夫的律师们 | 
| [01:59] | They’re tough. | 他们是很强的 | 
| [02:02] | Three years. | 才三年 | 
| [02:07] | I am not pleading guilty. | 我不接受认罪 | 
| [02:10] | Look, this is your wife | 听着,你的太太 | 
| [02:12] | saying you pushed her down a flight of stairs. | 说你把她推下楼梯 | 
| [02:15] | -I didn’t touch her. -The problem is | -我都没有碰过她 -但问题是 | 
| [02:17] | victims of domestic violence can look very sympathetic– | 家暴的受害者很容易得到同情。。。 | 
| [02:19] | -She is not a victim. -Well, they’ll make her look like one, | -她不是受害者 -即使如此,他的律师会让她看起来是 | 
| [02:22] | and the jury is going to want to know– | 而且陪审团也会想知道。。。 | 
| [02:24] | Why would she lie about this? | 她有什么必要撒谎? | 
| [02:26] | I would like to know myself. | 我还想知道呢! | 
| [02:27] | -Robert– -What about my daughter? -Robert。。。 | -我女儿怎么办? | 
| [02:29] | If I plead guilty to a crime like this, | 如果这样认罪的话 | 
| [02:31] | then I’ll lose custody of her. | 随之我就就会失去对她的监护权 | 
| [02:32] | No, that isn’t necessarily true. | 不,不一定会那样的 | 
| [02:34] | -You could get custody– -No, I didn’t do it. | -你能争取到监护权 -不,我没有做什么 | 
| [02:36] | I didn’t throw my wife down a flight of stairs, | 我没有把我太太推下楼梯 | 
| [02:39] | and I won’t say that I did. | 别再说我做了那些 | 
| [02:41] | I don’t care what my odds are. No. | 我不在乎我能赢的概率有多大,我不认罪 | 
| [03:41] | Can I have your attention, everybody? | 请大家注意一下好吗? | 
| [03:44] | I have very exciting news. Now, it’s kind of private, | 我有一个非常令人兴奋的消息,有点私密的 | 
| [03:47] | but, um, I’ve been keeping it in for, like, two months now, | 但是,呃,我已经保守这个秘密,差不多两个月了 | 
| [03:50] | and I can’t anymore. I’m sorry. | 但再也忍不住了,抱歉 | 
| [03:52] | What? | 是什么? | 
| [03:54] | Well, two months ago– Now, keep in mind | 好吧,两个月前。。。挺好了 | 
| [03:57] | it is so not like me to go through waste cans, | 我非常非常不喜欢翻垃圾桶 | 
| [03:59] | but it was a dull day, and I was in the ladies’ room. | 那个个沉闷的一天,我在女厕所 | 
| [04:03] | Anyways, I found this pregnancy test thing, | 总之吧,我发现了一个验孕棒 | 
| [04:06] | and it was positive. | 而且是阳性的 | 
| [04:08] | Now, I know it could’ve been anybody on this floor, | 现在,我知道这没准儿是这楼层里的哪个人的 | 
| [04:10] | but I still had a feeling. | 但我还是有种感觉 | 
| [04:12] | Then yesterday a book came, and I opened it, you know, | 然后在昨天送来一本书,我打开书 | 
| [04:15] | thinking it was just office supplies– | 以为就是办公类的。。。 | 
| [04:17] | Books– Usually library things. | 书籍。。。在图书馆的那类 | 
| [04:19] | Unfortunately, I threw away who it was addressed to, | 不巧的是,我把收件人的地址扔掉了 | 
| [04:21] | and then the trash guy came and picked it up, | 我就去找清洁工那里找了回来 | 
| [04:22] | and– Well, whatever. | 然后。。。算了,总之。 | 
| [04:27] | 《孕期完全指导》 | |
| [04:29] | Somebody here is pregos. Lindsay? | 这里有人叫pregos. Lindsay吗? | 
| [04:32] | -I didn’t order that thing. -Oh, come on. | -我没有邮购那东西 -噢,拉倒吧 | 
| [04:35] | I thought I saw a tummy. | 我想我看到大肚子了 | 
| [04:36] | I did not order that thing. | 我没有邮购那东西 | 
| [04:38] | Lindsay, we might as well tell them. | Lindsay,我们还是告诉他们吧 | 
| [04:44] | -That’s great! -Thank you, Lucy, for your exciting news. | -那太棒了! -谢谢你告诉我们这个好消息,Lucy | 
| [04:48] | Well, I couldn’t keep it from the family. | 是呀,我无法跟大家保密 | 
| [04:50] | -How far along? -Four months. | -多久了呀? -四个月 | 
| [04:52] | -Who’s the father? -You’re funny today. | -父亲是谁呀? -你今天真逗 | 
| [04:54] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 | 
| [05:02] | Help, police! | 救救我,警官! | 
| [05:04] | Where you at, ma’am? Ma’am? | 您在哪里?夫人?夫人? | 
| [05:06] | 830 Brayson. You have to hurry! | Brayson 830号,你们快来呀! | 
| [05:09] | Okay, okay, stay on the line. | 好的,好的,别挂电话 | 
| [05:10] | Just tell me what’s happening. | 告诉我怎么回事 | 
| [05:12] | What are you doing? | 你干什么? | 
| [05:13] | My husband– 830– | 我丈夫他。。。830。。。 | 
| [05:15] | What the hell are you doing? Margaret! | Margaret,你到底在干吗?! | 
| [05:17] | Robert, stop! You’re– | Robert,住手!你。。。 | 
| [05:19] | Ma’am, are you there? | 夫人,您还在线吗? | 
| [05:21] | Can you get back on the phone, ma’am? Hello? | 你能再接电话吗?夫人?喂? | 
| [05:24] | What’s happening, ma’am? Hello? | 怎么了,夫人?喂? | 
| [05:28] | 830 Brayson. Are you familiar with that address? | Brayson 830号,这个地址你熟悉吗? | 
| [05:32] | Yes. After getting the radio run, I responded to that location. | 是的,接到无线电通知后,我赶到那里 | 
| [05:35] | -And what did you find? -The front door was open. | -你发现了什么? -前门是敞开着的 | 
| [05:38] | When we got inside, we found the defendant | 当我们进屋后,我们发现被告 | 
| [05:40] | at the base of a stairwell in the foyer area. | 在门厅楼梯的下面 | 
| [05:42] | Mrs. Wakefield was lying face up, wearing a nightgown, | Wakefield夫人穿着睡衣仰面躺在那里 | 
| [05:44] | and she appeared to be unconscious. | 看起来失去了知觉 | 
| [05:46] | The defendant was sitting next to her | 被告坐在她身边 | 
| [05:48] | holding her head from behind. | 从后面抱着她的头 | 
| [05:50] | Was there anybody else in the house? | 还有别人在屋里吗? | 
| [05:52] | The defendant’s 9-year-old daughter. | 有,被告九岁的女儿在家 | 
| [05:54] | She said she was in her room and didn’t see anything. | 她说她在她的房间里,什么也没有看到 | 
| [05:56] | Could you describe the defendant’s demeanor | 你在对他问话的时候 | 
| [05:58] | when you spoke to him? | 你能描述一下被告的举止吗? | 
| [05:59] | He was very upset. | 他显得非常烦乱 | 
| [06:01] | Right away I could smell alcohol on his breath, | 我马上就能闻到他呼吸中的酒味儿 | 
| [06:04] | and his eyes, they were very glassy. | 而且他的眼神非常呆滞 | 
| [06:07] | What did you do next? | 接下来你们做了什么? | 
| [06:08] | I called for an ambulance, | 我叫了急救 | 
| [06:10] | and we took Mrs. Wakefield to Mass General. | 然后我们把Wakefield夫人送到麻省总医院 | 
| [06:11] | Could you describe her condition? | 你能描述一下她的状况吗? | 
| [06:13] | At first she was still unconscious, | 开始她还是没有知觉 | 
| [06:15] | but on the way there she started to come to. | 在途中她苏醒过来 | 
| [06:17] | That’s when she told me that her husband had pushed her. | 那时她告诉我,是他丈夫把她推倒的 | 
| [06:20] | Just to be clear, Officer, | 再澄清一次,警官 | 
| [06:23] | could you describe Mrs. Wakefield’s exact words? | 你能确切描述一下Wakefield太太的话吗? | 
| [06:26] | “He pushed me. Robert pushed me.” | “他推了我,Robert推的我” | 
| [06:34] | -You said my client was upset? -Yes. | -你说我的当事人那时很烦躁? -是的 | 
| [06:36] | -He wasn’t violent? -No. | -他有暴力倾向吗? -没有 | 
| [06:38] | And when you got there, you saw him sitting with his wife | 当你们到那里的时候,你看到他坐在他妻子身边 | 
| [06:41] | holding her head in his hands? | 用手抱着她的头? | 
| [06:43] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [06:45] | So you cannot exclude the possibility | 所以你不能排除Wakefield太太是 | 
| [06:47] | that Mrs. Wakefield tripped on her own nightgown? | 被自己的睡衣绊倒的这种可能性? | 
| [06:50] | Can I positively exclude it? No, but– | 我能肯定地排除吗?不能,但是。。。 | 
| [06:52] | Thank you, Officer. When Mrs. Wakefield was taken to the hospital, | 谢谢你,警官。当Wakefield太太被送到医院 | 
| [06:57] | my client went with her, right? | 我的当事人和她一起去了,对吗? | 
| [06:58] | He met us there, yeah. | 他在那里,是的 | 
| [07:00] | And did you permit Mr. Wakefield to visit his own wife? | 你允许Wakefield先生去探望他的太太了吗? | 
| [07:02] | At that point we didn’t even know what we had. | 那时我们甚至不知道掌握了些什么情况 | 
| [07:04] | Really? | 真的? | 
| [07:06] | So even after Mrs. Wakefield’s big statement in the ambulance, | 甚至在Wakefield太太在救护车上进行了重要陈述之后 | 
| [07:09] | you still weren’t sure a crime had been committed. | 你们还是不能确定存在犯罪行为 | 
| [07:12] | We were investigating. | 我们那时在调查 | 
| [07:14] | You weren’t sure about what she told you? | 你们对她所说的不能确定吗? | 
| [07:15] | We had no reason to doubt her. | 我们没有理由怀疑她 | 
| [07:17] | But the man she accused of pushing her– | 但是她指控推她的那个人。。。 | 
| [07:19] | You allowed him to visit her, didn’t you? | 你允许他去探视她了,不是吗? | 
| [07:22] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [07:33] | What do you mean “spots”? | 你说的“斑点”是指什么? | 
| [07:35] | I mean “spots.” | 我说的“斑点” | 
| [07:37] | It’s worse when I look at the light, but, uh, | 当我看见光的时候尤甚,但是,呃 | 
| [07:40] | even when I don’t, I still see spots, | 没光线的时候,我也能看见斑点 | 
| [07:44] | and they’re big, and then they shrink, | 挺大的,然后会收缩 | 
| [07:46] | and then, uh, when I blink they, uh, come back. | 然后,呃,当我眨眨眼,斑点又浮现了 | 
| [07:49] | Not always, but, I mean, sometimes. | 不总是这样,但是,我是说时常会有 | 
| [07:50] | Sometimes I see them. | 经常看到斑点 | 
| [07:53] | And you said they had the optometrist examine them? | 你说过他们派验光师对此做过检查? | 
| [07:56] | He’s a hack. I mean, how many kids do you know | 他是个混日子的,我是说你见过有多少年轻人 | 
| [07:58] | went to med school so that they could examine prisoners? | 上医学院就是为了为了给囚犯做检查? | 
| [08:01] | I mean, the doctors in this place | 我是说,这里的医生 | 
| [08:03] | are all unemployable hacks. | 都是些个找不到工作的混混儿 | 
| [08:05] | Is it fun? | 这有趣吧? | 
| [08:10] | Is what fun? | 你说什么有趣? | 
| [08:14] | Well, I would think it would be fun, you know? | 好吧,我觉得这很有趣,你知道吗? | 
| [08:17] | You must dream about big cases, | 你肯定非常渴望办这样的大案子 | 
| [08:18] | and this one– a murder, your friend on the hook. | 而这一次。。。一个谋杀案,你的朋友身陷囹圄 | 
| [08:21] | I mean, I would think that this | 我是说,我觉得这是 | 
| [08:23] | has all the stakes that any lawyer could ever wish for, | 所有律师逗梦寐以求想得到的 | 
| [08:25] | and if you’re not having fun now, Bobby, | 如果你现在玩得不开心,Bobby | 
| [08:27] | I mean, then what’s the point, you know? | 我是说,那还有什么意思,你明白吗? | 
| [08:31] | Scott, we’re going to have you meet with a psychiatrist. | Scott,我们准备让你看看心理医生 | 
| [08:35] | I was convicted, for God’s sake. | 我被判有罪,看在上帝的份上 | 
| [08:37] | What, you want to have me declared incompetent | 什么意思?你是想让我被评估为 | 
| [08:40] | to stand appeal? Oh, I mean, that’s smart. | 不具备接受上诉审判的能力?噢,那真是太精明了 | 
| [08:44] | Why don’t you examine my eyes while you’re at it? | 既然你都来了,那你为什么不给我检查一下眼睛? | 
| [08:46] | Do I get to go? | 我该走了吗? | 
| [08:48] | Go where? | 去哪里? | 
| [08:55] | He’s losing it. | 他失控了 | 
| [08:57] | We got to get him the hell out of here. | 我们得把他从这里弄出去 | 
| [09:09] | Margaret. | Margaret | 
| [09:15] | What’s wrong? | 出什么问题了? | 
| [09:17] | I don’t think Robert | 我不认为Robert | 
| [09:20] | intended to push me down the stairs. | 想把我推下楼梯 | 
| [09:24] | I beg your pardon? | 请再说一遍? | 
| [09:27] | No, I’ve been replaying this over and over again. | 不,我一遍一遍回想了 | 
| [09:30] | Have you been talking to him? | 你跟他谈话了吗? | 
| [09:34] | We have thought of reconciling, | 我们考虑过和解 | 
| [09:37] | but this is the truth– | 但事实是。。。 | 
| [09:40] | I made a mistake. | 我搞错了 | 
| [09:42] | Margaret, don’t you dare do this. | Margaret,你这样做给我看看! | 
| [09:45] | Helen, at the time, | Helen,那时 | 
| [09:47] | I didn’t know what to think. | 我不知道想到什么了 | 
| [09:49] | Uh, one minute we’re fighting. | 呃,刚刚还在吵架 | 
| [09:51] | The next– I wake up in a hospital, | 接下来,我就在医院醒过来了 | 
| [09:53] | police officers asking me questions. | 警官问我问题的时候 | 
| [09:55] | I was angry. | 我很生气 | 
| [09:57] | I think I convinced myself, at the time, | 那时候,我想是我告诉自己 | 
| [10:00] | that he did it on purpose, | 他是故意那样做的 | 
| [10:03] | but he didn’t… | 但是他不是的。。。 | 
| [10:06] | and I’m dropping the charges. | 所以我要放弃指控 | 
| [10:10] | First of all, | 首先 | 
| [10:12] | you don’t get to drop the charges. | 只有地区检察官可以放弃指控 | 
| [10:15] | Only the district attorney can do that. | 而你不能 | 
| [10:17] | But it’s my choice whether to continue. | 但是,我可以选择是否继续审理 | 
| [10:19] | Actually, no, it’s not. | 实际上,不,不是的 | 
| [10:21] | You chose to call 911. Now I make those decisions. | 既然你选择了报警,那现在就是我说了算 | 
| [10:24] | I’m not testifying, Helen. | Helen,我不会去作证的 | 
| [10:27] | Then I’ll get a material witness order and have you arrested. | 那我会发一个关键证人令逮捕你 (对于关键证人,不同于一般证人的传唤,必要时,政府有权 要求法庭对此类证人签发逮捕令) | 
| [10:30] | If you try to force me, I’ll tell the jury I fell. | 如果你试图强迫我,我会告诉陪审团是我自己摔倒了 | 
| [10:34] | This was an accident. | 这是一个意外 | 
| [10:36] | Oh, Margaret, Oh,Margaret | |
| [10:38] | I know you think you have no life without this man, | 我知道你考虑到你生活中不能缺少这人男人 | 
| [10:40] | -but trust me– -I’m not some weak victim here. | -但是相信我 -我不是那种软弱的受害者 | 
| [10:45] | Look… | 听着。。。 | 
| [10:49] | We’ve had a complicated, volatile relationship. | 我们之间的关系复杂多变 | 
| [10:54] | If you want to prosecute me | 如果你打算因错误逮捕或者别的什么罪名 | 
| [10:57] | for false arrest or whatever, | 对我提出指控 | 
| [11:01] | I’ll own that, | 我认了 | 
| [11:04] | but the man didn’t push me down the stairs. | 但是我丈夫没有把我推下楼梯 | 
| [11:22] | What happened? | 怎么回事? | 
| [11:24] | My victim just recanted. | 受害者刚刚撤诉了 | 
| [11:26] | That’s why I prefer murders– | 那就是为什么我宁愿办谋杀案。。。 | 
| [11:29] | When they’re dead, | 当他们死了, | 
| [11:31] | they can’t change their stories. | 他们也就没法变更陈述了 | 
| [11:35] | What do you want? | 你来干嘛? | 
| [11:39] | I came to apologize. | 我来道个歉 | 
| [11:41] | I have been a little influenced | 我最近是受到了 | 
| [11:44] | by politics of late. | 权术斗争的影响 | 
| [11:47] | You were there for me when my job was in peril, | 当我的工作面临危险的时候,你站在我这边 | 
| [11:50] | and I want you to know I’m here for you now. | 我想让你知道我现在也站在你这边 | 
| [11:55] | Is my job in peril? | 我的工作有危险了吗? | 
| [11:57] | Helen, they’ve stuck you with domestic violence. | Helen,他们用家庭式的欺凌让你难受 | 
| [11:59] | What does that tell you? | 这告诉你什么? | 
| [12:01] | They? “They” being Kate Brunner. | 他们?“他们”应该是指Kate Brunner吧 | 
| [12:04] | Well, that’s– She carries a lot of power. | 呃,那个。。。她有很大的权力 | 
| [12:10] | I’m told you’re supplying Bobby Donnell | 他们告诉我你提供给Bobby Donnell | 
| [12:12] | with an affidavit. | 一份宣誓书 | 
| [12:14] | Not that you suborned perjury, | 那上面不是说你教唆伪证 | 
| [12:16] | only that I thought the witness was coached | 只是说我认为证人被指导了 | 
| [12:18] | and that he committed perjury. | 而他做了伪证 | 
| [12:20] | If I can give you a little advice, | 我能给你一些建议吗 | 
| [12:22] | I wouldn’t give him that statement. | 我是不会把那样的陈述给Bobby Donnell的 | 
| [12:24] | Is that why you’re here, Richard, | Richard,你来这里就是为了 | 
| [12:26] | to reach out and gag a friend? | 伸出手和朋友聊聊天吗? | 
| [12:30] | It really doesn’t affect me. | 这对我真的没啥影响 | 
| [12:32] | It does your case | 对你的案子有影响 | 
| [12:33] | and, therefore, you with Kate Brunner. | 因此,你迎合Kate Brunner | 
| [12:35] | You win, she likes you. You lose, she doesn’t. | 你赢了,她会喜欢你,你输了,她就不会 | 
| [12:38] | And if I lose, you will get the brunt of the blame, | 如果我输了,受到责难的是你 | 
| [12:41] | not me. | 而不是我 | 
| [12:43] | I already gave Bobby the affidavit. | 我已经把宣誓书交给 Bobby了 | 
| [12:46] | But thanks for stopping by, Richard. | 但还是谢谢你顺路造访,Richard | 
| [12:50] | It’s been good to catch up. | 能和你叙叙旧挺好的 | 
| [13:04] | You working late? | 工作这么晚呀? | 
| [13:06] | The Wallace appeal is tomorrow. | 明天有Wallace的上诉 | 
| [13:09] | You feeling okay? | 你感觉如何? | 
| [13:11] | Fine. | 挺好 | 
| [13:13] | I’m glad it’s out. | 我很高兴大家都知道了 | 
| [13:16] | It was hard for me to keep it a secret. | 我很难保住这个秘密 | 
| [13:20] | Bobby, I didn’t take the pregnancy test here. | Bobby,我没有在这里做过孕检 | 
| [13:24] | Did you order that book? | 是你邮购那本书吗? | 
| [13:26] | Me? No. | 我?我没有 | 
| [13:30] | That little witch tricked us. | 那个小女巫耍了我们 | 
| [13:34] | Either that, or somebody else is pregnant. | 或者,有别的人怀孕了 | 
| [13:41] | You okay, Bec? | 还好吧,Bec? | 
| [13:43] | Hmm? Oh, sure. | 嗯?噢,还好 | 
| [13:46] | What you thinking about? | 想什么呢? | 
| [13:48] | Just the case. | 案子 | 
| [13:50] | Ms. Washington? | Washington女士? | 
| [13:55] | Can I speak to you? | 我可以和你谈谈吗? | 
| [13:57] | Well, I represent your husband. | 这个,我可是代理你的丈夫的 | 
| [13:59] | Yes, I know. | 我知道 | 
| [14:02] | I’ve decided not to testify. | 我已经决定不出庭作证 | 
| [14:05] | Oh. | 哦 | 
| [14:09] | Well. | 那好吧 | 
| [14:11] | Actually, I do want to testify, | 实际上,我是想作证的 | 
| [14:14] | but for Robert. | 但是,是为Robert | 
| [14:16] | I’m not sure I understand. | 我有些糊涂了 | 
| [14:18] | Your client is innocent. | 你的当事人是无辜的 | 
| [14:44] | You got a problem. | 你有麻烦了 | 
| [14:45] | He’s about two weeks away from Bridgewater. | 他离开ridgewater大概两周了 | 
| [14:48] | He’s suffering from severe clinical depression. | 他患有严重的临床抑郁症 | 
| [14:50] | He needs to be hospitalized right now. | 他需要马上住院 | 
| [14:52] | We’re due in court. | 我们定好了要上庭的 | 
| [14:54] | Bobby, this man is not going to court. | Bobby,这个人不能出庭 | 
| [14:57] | He’s in the middle of what’s called | 他处于情境性精神崩溃 | 
| [14:58] | a situational mental breakdown, | 的中期 | 
| [15:00] | most likely caused by twin positional traumas– | 很可能是由于双位创伤引起。。。 | 
| [15:04] | The death of his wife, and the conviction. | 妻子的死,和被裁定有罪 | 
| [15:06] | The spots, the inability to sleep– | 那些斑点(幻觉),失眠。。。 | 
| [15:09] | The man is on the verge of a psychotic breakdown. | 他处于精神崩溃的边缘了 | 
| [15:12] | He needs to be transferred to a mental facility right now. | 他需要立刻转移到精神病院 | 
| [15:14] | Eugene, go to Wolf. | Eugene,去找Wolf法官 | 
| [15:16] | File a motion that he be transferred | 提出一项要求移送他去 | 
| [15:18] | to the hospital jail ward. | 医院的监管病房的动议 | 
| [15:20] | I’ll handle the appeals court myself. | 我自己来处理上诉事宜 | 
| [15:22] | I’ll need your affidavit. | 我需要你宣誓书 | 
| [15:23] | Can you agree to supervise at the hospital? | 你同意在医院监督吗? | 
| [15:25] | Absolutely. | 完全同意 | 
| [15:27] | You’ve got to get him out of prison. | 你得把他从监狱里救出来 | 
| [15:30] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 | 
| [15:37] | He had me by the shoulders. | 他抓住了我的肩膀 | 
| [15:40] | I can remember his face | 我记得他的脸 | 
| [15:42] | being right there in front of me. | 就在我面前 | 
| [15:45] | I had never heard him scream like that. | 我从没听过他那样尖叫 | 
| [15:47] | What were you fighting about? | 你在争吵什么? | 
| [15:48] | The same thing as always– | 总是同一样事。。。 | 
| [15:49] | He wouldn’t stop drinking. | 他不愿意停止酗酒 | 
| [15:51] | It was getting worse since the wedding. | 结婚之后情况越来越糟 | 
| [15:54] | Did you tell him you were worried? | 你跟他谈过你的担忧吗? | 
| [15:56] | I tried, | 我试着谈过 | 
| [15:57] | but when Robert’s like that… | 但是,当Robert酗酒的时候。。。 | 
| [15:59] | you can’t tell him anything. | 什么也听不进去 | 
| [16:01] | What was he saying? | 他说了些什么? | 
| [16:02] | It was my fault. | 都是因为我的错 | 
| [16:03] | He had to drink | 他才不得不酗酒 | 
| [16:05] | because I was making him miserable. | 因为我使他痛苦 | 
| [16:07] | He was yelling and shaking me. | 他冲我大喊大叫,住着我摇晃 | 
| [16:10] | That’s when I got scared. | 那让我很恐惧 | 
| [16:13] | I waited till he left the room, | 我等他离开房间 | 
| [16:15] | and called 911. | 就报了警 | 
| [16:16] | Tell the jury why you called the police. | 请告诉陪审团,你为什么要报警 | 
| [16:19] | I never wanted to have him arrested. | 我从来没想让他被逮捕 | 
| [16:22] | I thought they could just get him out of the house– | 我想警察只要把他带出房子。。。 | 
| [16:25] | Hold him, maybe, until he was sober again. | 或许能控制住他,直到他清醒过来 | 
| [16:28] | But then he heard you on the phone? | 但是随后他听到你在打电话 | 
| [16:31] | He came up behind me | 他赶到我背后 | 
| [16:32] | and ripped the phone out of my hand. | 把电话从我手里拽了出来 | 
| [16:34] | That’s why I was screaming on the tape. | 那就是为什么在录音带上听到我大声喊叫 | 
| [16:37] | I was scared, so I ran. | 我很害怕,所以我跑出去 | 
| [16:39] | When I got to the stairs, I was going too fast. | 当我跑到楼梯时,我跑得太快了 | 
| [16:42] | All I remember is falling and waking up at the hospital. | 我能记得的就是摔下去,和在医院醒过来 | 
| [16:46] | Mrs. Wakefield, I want to be clear. | Wakefield夫人,我想确认一下 | 
| [16:49] | Did Robert push you down those stairs? | 时Robert把你推下楼梯的吗? | 
| [16:52] | No. We were fighting, but he didn’t hurt me. | 不是,我们是在吵架,但是他没有伤害我 | 
| [16:58] | I tripped, and I fell. | 我绊倒了,摔下去了 | 
| [17:00] | But that’s not what you told the police. | 但是你跟警官不是那样说的 | 
| [17:02] | I was angry. | 我当时很生气 | 
| [17:04] | They were trying to get me to say what they wanted, | 他们试图让我按他们的意思说 | 
| [17:06] | and I wanted to punish him. | 而我也想让他得到惩罚 | 
| [17:11] | “We were at the top of the staircase. | “我们在楼梯顶上, | 
| [17:13] | “Robert had me by the hair. | “Robert抓住我的头发 | 
| [17:15] | “I begged him to let me go, | ”我求他放我走 | 
| [17:16] | and then he pushed me from behind.” | 然后他从后面推我。” | 
| [17:18] | Isn’t that what you said in the hospital? | 这不是你在医院时说的吗? | 
| [17:20] | I didn’t really have time to think about things. | 我真的没时间去仔细回想 | 
| [17:23] | Have you and your husband talked about reconciling? | 你和你丈夫谈过和解吗? | 
| [17:26] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [17:28] | When did you have these talks? | 什么时候谈的? | 
| [17:31] | A few days ago. | 几天前 | 
| [17:43] | Look at your face, Margaret. | 看着你自己的脸,Margaret | 
| [17:51] | Look, I’m not saying that I didn’t fall down the stairs. | 听着,我没有否认我从楼梯上摔下去了 | 
| [17:56] | I’m not saying that it didn’t happen | 我没有否认这些是因为 | 
| [17:59] | as a result of an argument and scuffle with Robert. | 和Robert争吵和扭打而导致的 | 
| [18:02] | What I am finally admitting– | 我最后要坦陈的是。。。 | 
| [18:03] | -You’ve answered my question. -No, I haven’t. | -你已经回答了我的问题 -不,我还没有 | 
| [18:06] | I ask that the witness be instructed– | 我请求对证人给予指示。。。 | 
| [18:07] | You are trying to make it seem | 你在试图让这像是 | 
| [18:08] | like he’s controlling me! | 他在操控我! | 
| [18:10] | The witness may answer the question. | 证人应该回答这个问题 | 
| [18:16] | What I am finally admitting to | 我最后要坦陈的是 | 
| [18:19] | is that he didn’t intend for me to fall. | 他没有没有把我推下楼梯的意图 | 
| [18:23] | I know that disturbs your case, | 我知道这会搞砸了你的案子 | 
| [18:24] | but, like it or not… | 但是,不管你喜欢不喜欢。。。 | 
| [18:28] | it’s the truth. | 这是事实 | 
| [18:33] | I would like to focus the court’s attention | 我想请法庭注意到 | 
| [18:36] | on our first issue for appeal, | 上诉中的第一个事项 | 
| [18:38] | which is the trial court’s refusal | 就是初审法庭拒绝了 | 
| [18:40] | to conduct an evidentiary hearing concerning the charge of perjury | 就关于关键证人做伪证 | 
| [18:43] | by a material witness, | 以及控方涉嫌教唆伪证 | 
| [18:46] | and the prosecution’s role in suborning that perjury. | 的指控举行一次证据听证会。 | 
| [18:48] | Attached to our supplemental brief | 补充的案情摘要的附件 | 
| [18:49] | is the sworn affidavit | 是一份出自地区检察官Helen Gamble | 
| [18:51] | of district attorney Helen Gamble, | 的证词宣誓书。 | 
| [18:53] | who was present when Mr. Bay encouraged the witness, | 当Bay先生促成证人Kyle Barrett去做伪证的时候 | 
| [18:55] | Kyle Barrett, to give false testimony. | 她当时在场。 | 
| [18:57] | That’s not what her affidavit says. | 她的证词不是这么说的 | 
| [18:59] | It alleges he coached the witness, | 只是说他指导了证人, | 
| [19:01] | but doesn’t go so far as to state he suborned perjury. | 但并不至于说他教唆伪证 | 
| [19:03] | It says he supplied testimony which was new | 证词说他提供给证人一套全新的证词 | 
| [19:05] | and different from any prior statement | 和证人之前给出的证词 | 
| [19:07] | given by this witness. | 完全不一样 | 
| [19:08] | That to me implies perjury, | 在我看来,就是意味着教唆伪证 | 
| [19:10] | and a reading of Ms. Gamble’s affidavit | 而且对Gamble女士的证词宣誓书的解读 | 
| [19:12] | reveals that she too drew that inference. | 显示出她也得出了同样的结论 | 
| [19:14] | Mr. Bay, I assume you take issue with this allegation? | Bay先生,我想你对这个指控存在异议吧? | 
| [19:17] | I’m offended by it. | 我感到被冒犯了 | 
| [19:19] | I certainly expressed to the witness | 我当然向证人表示过 | 
| [19:21] | the need for his testimony to be compelling. | 他的证词需要具有说服力 | 
| [19:23] | I never remotely asked him to lie. | 我根本从未要求他去撒谎 | 
| [19:25] | What about the idea that you supplied the testimony? | 关于说你提供了证词这个看法呢? | 
| [19:27] | I gave him a list of points we needed to cover. | 我给他列出了需要涉及的要点清单 | 
| [19:30] | I told him what was most relevant, what needed to be emphasized. | 我告诉他什么是最有关联的,什么是最需要强调的 | 
| [19:33] | The idea that I encouraged false testimony is preposterous! | 关于我促成伪证的看法,是荒谬的 | 
| [19:36] | It’s a desperate ploy by a defense team | 这是辩护方绝地求生的策略 | 
| [19:39] | that’s even arguing its own inadequacy, | 如果您看一下第六节的话 | 
| [19:41] | if you look at paragraph six. | 他们甚至于拿自己的辩护不力做上诉理由 | 
| [19:42] | I haven’t got to that yet! | 我还没有说到那些呢! | 
| [19:44] | Your Honors, this is the catchall | 法官大人,这真是什么理由都用上了 | 
| [19:46] | “inadequacy of counsel” appeal | 因“辩护不力”上诉 | 
| [19:48] | that’s typically thrown out there | 通常会在辩护方没有别的办法的情况下 | 
| [19:49] | when the defendants have little else to go on. | 就抛出来这种理由 | 
| [19:51] | The fact remains, | 事实依然存在 | 
| [19:53] | Scott Wallace is an educated man. | Scott Wallace是一个受过良好教育的人 | 
| [19:55] | He participated in his defense fully. | 他完全参与了他的辩护 | 
| [19:58] | This was a strategic decision to which he relented. | 他的让步(没有出庭作证)是一种策略上的决定 | 
| [20:01] | It does not rise to a denial of his right to testify. | 这谈不上否决了他的作证权 | 
| [20:06] | -It’s unfair surprise. -I didn’t know about it myself. | -这是违规突袭(此处具体是指违背证据开示原则) -我自己事先也不知道 | 
| [20:09] | -I just uncovered it. -That doesn’t matter? | -我刚发现这个 -不要紧吗? | 
| [20:11] | At this point in the trial– | 在庭审这个节骨眼上。。。 | 
| [20:12] | Look, I’ll give you time if you want discovery. | 听着,你们需要研究的话,我可以给你时间 | 
| [20:14] | -I don’t want time. -Hold on. | -我不需要花时间 -打住 | 
| [20:16] | These are records of her injuries? | 这是她的受伤记录? | 
| [20:18] | No, Your Honor, his previous wife. | 不是,法官大人,这是他前期的 | 
| [20:20] | There are also medical records | 这还有她的三个女儿 | 
| [20:21] | of three injuries to the daughter. | 的受伤记录 | 
| [20:23] | A broken arm, a shoulder bruise, and a laceration. | 一个胳膊断了,一个肩膀瘀伤,还有一个划伤 | 
| [20:26] | -Over a period of… -Eleven years total. | -在多长时间内发生的。。。 -前后一共十一年 | 
| [20:28] | First of all, there is no evidence | 首先,没有证据表明 | 
| [20:30] | or suggestion that my client caused these injuries. | 或者暗示那是我的当事人造成的伤害 | 
| [20:32] | Was Mr. Wakefield ever accused of any abuse? | Wakefield先生曾经被控虐待? | 
| [20:35] | No, but with this pattern, he probably should have been. | 没有,但是这是行为模式,他可能做过的 | 
| [20:39] | Do you have any evidence that he caused them? | 你有什么证据证明是他造成的吗? | 
| [20:41] | No, but– | 没有,但是。。。 | 
| [20:43] | Denied. | 否决 | 
| [20:45] | -You know better than that. -Your Honor… | -你明知不该那样做的 -法官大人 | 
| [20:47] | Out you go. I’ll see you back in court. | 你出去吧,法庭上见 | 
| [20:54] | (door opens) | |
| [20:59] | Did you hit your first wife? | 你殴打过你的前妻? | 
| [21:01] | What? | 什么? | 
| [21:02] | They dug up hospital reports, | 他们把医院的记录翻出来了 | 
| [21:04] | and some on Jennifer, too. | 还有一些是Jennifer的 | 
| [21:05] | No. They’re saying that I hit them? | 不是的,他们说是我打了她们? | 
| [21:07] | Well, luckily, they don’t get to say it, | 还好,他们没能弄清楚 | 
| [21:10] | but my question is, did you? | 但我的问题是,你打了吗? | 
| [21:12] | Of course not! Rebecca! | 当然没有,Rebecca! | 
| [21:14] | How’d she get her injuries? | 那她是怎么受伤的? | 
| [21:15] | What injuries? | 什么伤? | 
| [21:17] | Bruises. Cuts. | 瘀伤、割伤 | 
| [21:18] | Jennifer had a broken arm. | Jennifer胳膊骨折 | 
| [21:20] | She fell off of her bike. | 她从自行车上摔下来 | 
| [21:22] | Joanne, she rode horses. She jumped. | Joanne,她骑马,马跳起来 | 
| [21:24] | She had a couple of accidents, maybe. | 她也许是出过几次事故 | 
| [21:26] | What the hell is this? | 这到底怎么回事? | 
| [21:28] | Is this what happens now– | 这就是现在正在发生的。。。 | 
| [21:30] | They start manufacturing things? | 他们开始没事找事? | 
| [21:34] | Seems like a lot of accidents, Robert. | 看起来事故不少呀,Robert. | 
| [21:36] | Hey, I’ve had my share of yelling arguments. | 嘿,我是和她们大声争吵过 | 
| [21:39] | I’ve even grabbed from time to time, | 我也曾偶尔抓过 | 
| [21:40] | both Joanne and Margaret, | Joanne和Margaret她们俩。 | 
| [21:42] | but I have never, ever hit a woman. | 但是我从来没有打过一个女人 | 
| [21:45] | And my daughter! | 或者是我的女儿! | 
| [21:50] | I don’t think it’s wise for you to testify. | 我认为让你作证是不明智的 | 
| [21:53] | I suggest we rest and go to closing. | 我建议我们就此完成举证,做结案陈述 | 
| [21:56] | And why is that? | 为什么呢? | 
| [21:57] | Because Helen Gamble could back-door | 因为Helen Gamble可以借此途径 | 
| [21:58] | that other stuff on impeachment, | 提出别的事来质疑你 | 
| [22:00] | and it wouldn’t look good. | 那样就不太妙了 | 
| [22:01] | Trust me. | 相信我 | 
| [22:05] | Do I need another lawyer here? | 我现在需要另找一个律师吗? | 
| [22:11] | I’ll finish. | 我会搞定的 | 
| [22:12] | I don’t want you finishing unless you believe me. | 除非你信任我,否则我不想让你来搞定 | 
| [22:16] | Do I need a new lawyer? | 我需要找个新律师吗? | 
| [22:22] | I’ll finish. | 我会搞定的 | 
| [22:37] | I’m telling you, Ellenor, | 我告诉你,Ellenor | 
| [22:39] | I know this woman. | 我认识这个女人 | 
| [22:41] | She’s covering for him. I know her. | 她在替他做掩护,我了解她 | 
| [22:45] | At the risk of getting my head bitten off, | 冒着被人咬掉脑袋、 | 
| [22:47] | ground into wheat germ, | 磨成麦芽、 | 
| [22:49] | and sprinkled on your cereal, | 然后洒在你的麦片粥上的危险,我要说 | 
| [22:50] | I know you. | 我也了解你 | 
| [22:52] | What’s that supposed to mean? | 你说这话什么意思呀? | 
| [22:53] | It means you are under a lot of pressure at work. | 我是说你工作压力太大了 | 
| [22:56] | Have you considered the possibility | 你考虑过可能是 | 
| [22:58] | that you need this conviction so badly | 你太想要给他定罪了 | 
| [23:00] | you are willing to chase one | 所以你宁愿去拿下一个 | 
| [23:02] | even in the absence of a crime? | 本来就不存在犯罪的案子? | 
| [23:03] | Look, after what I did on the Wallace case, | 听着,以我在Wallace案子的所作所为 | 
| [23:05] | how could you even say that to me? | 你怎么可以跟我说这些? | 
| [23:07] | I believe you believe he’s guilty. | 我相信你确信他是有罪的 | 
| [23:09] | My question is, do you need to believe it? | 我的问题是,你需要确信吗? | 
| [23:13] | The only eyewitness is the victim, | 唯一的目击证人就是受害者 | 
| [23:16] | and she says there was no crime. | 而她说那不存在犯罪行为 | 
| [23:18] | Is she the only eyewitness? | 她是唯一的目击证人吗? | 
| [23:26] | (school bell rings) | |
| [23:41] | Jennifer? | Jennifer? | 
| [23:43] | Hi. | 嗨 | 
| [23:45] | Are you Jennifer Wakefield? | 你是Jennifer Wakefield? | 
| [23:47] | Who are you? | 你是? | 
| [23:48] | My name’s Helen Gamble. | 我是Helen Gamble。 | 
| [23:50] | I’m a district attorney. | 我是一个地区检察官 | 
| [23:52] | Could I talk to you for a second? | 我可以跟你谈一下吗? | 
| [23:56] | I know who you are. | 我知道你是谁 | 
| [24:01] | (telephone rings) | |
| [24:03] | Donnell– Whatever. | 这里是Donnell。。。算了 | 
| [24:05] | Yeah. Yeah, he’s right here. | 对,对,他现在就在 | 
| [24:08] | It’s the clerk’s office about the Wallace appeal. | Wallace案上诉法庭的书记员办公室 | 
| [24:12] | Hello. | 你好 | 
| [24:16] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [24:19] | Today? | 今天? | 
| [24:22] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [24:25] | What? | 怎么回事? | 
| [24:27] | They ordered a full hearing | 关于伪证的问题 | 
| [24:28] | on the perjury issue. | 他们安排了一次专门听证会 | 
| [24:30] | We go back into Judge Wolf today. | 我们今天就回到Wolf法官那里 | 
| [24:33] | That’s our best grounds, Eugene. | 那一点是我们最好的上诉理由 | 
| [24:35] | We have a shot. | |
| [24:37] | -I don’t believe it. -We’re back in this. | -我不太相信 -我们有希望了 | 
| [24:38] | Well, let’s not get carried away. | 好吧,我们别太忘乎所以了 | 
| [24:40] | Eugene, it’s our best grounds. We’re gonna get him out. | Eugene,这是我们最好的上诉理由,我们将会让他获得自由 | 
| [24:42] | Bobby, we can’t get Scott’s hopes up. | Bobby,我们不能让Scott重燃希望 | 
| [24:46] | Not yet. | 还没到那一步 | 
| [24:50] | They turned us down on three issues. | 他们在三个问题上拒绝了我们 | 
| [24:52] | But on the perjury, | 但是关于伪证 | 
| [24:53] | -we get a full hearing. -And this is good? | -我们得到了一次专门听证会 -这就是好事? | 
| [24:57] | Well, we were hoping they’d order a new trial outright. | 我们是希望他们会安排重审 | 
| [24:59] | We didn’t get that, but with a hearing, | 我们没能如愿,但如果在听证会上 | 
| [25:01] | if the judge determines that the brother did commit perjury, | 法官认定受害人的弟弟确实做了伪证 | 
| [25:04] | then we get a new trial. | 那我们就可以得到重审的机会 | 
| [25:06] | Unfortunately, we go before the same judge we had at trial. | 不幸的是,我们会面对之前主持过庭审的同一位法官 | 
| [25:08] | Wolf? | Wolf法官? | 
| [25:09] | Yes, but… | 对,但是。。。 | 
| [25:10] | I said no toast! | 我说过的不要吐司! | 
| [25:12] | No toast. | 不要吐司 | 
| [25:26] | Scott, you need to rest. | Scott,你需要好好修养 | 
| [25:32] | The doctor says that you’re suffering from clinical depression. | 医生说你患有临床抑郁症 | 
| [25:35] | Karen dying, the conviction… | Karen的死,还有被判刑。。。 | 
| [25:39] | You need to rest, take your medication, | 你需要休息,按时服药 | 
| [25:41] | and we’ll do what we need to do. | 我们会尽心尽力的 | 
| [25:44] | The spots are going away. | 斑点的幻觉消失了 | 
| [25:46] | I’m doing better, Bobby. I’m not seeing the spots. | 我好些了,Bobby,我没有看见那些斑点了 | 
| [25:51] | This is great. | 太好了 | 
| [25:55] | You’ll, uh… | 你会,呃。。。 | 
| [25:57] | You’ll come back and see me after the hearing? | 你会在听证会之后回来看我吗? | 
| [26:02] | I promise. | 我一定。 | 
| [26:05] | -I promise. -Thank you. | -我一定来 -谢谢你 | 
| [26:16] | She is a witness! I have a right to question any witness! | 她是一个证人,我有权讯问一个证人! | 
| [26:20] | I filed my appearance with the court, | 我向法庭提交的出庭宣示文件 | 
| [26:22] | indicating I represent the entire family. | 表明了我是代理这整个家庭的 | 
| [26:24] | Which is a potential conflict of interest. | 这是存在潜在利益冲突的 | 
| [26:26] | You take that up here, not on a playground. | 你应该在这处理问题,而不是跑去学校操场上 | 
| [26:28] | You went to the school? | 你去学校了? | 
| [26:31] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [26:32] | What the hell is wrong with you? | 你有毛病吧? | 
| [26:34] | What’s wrong is I think this girl | 我就是觉得这女孩 | 
| [26:36] | may have seen or heard something that night. | 也许看见或者听见了当晚发生的事情 | 
| [26:38] | Then your course of action | 那么你的做法 | 
| [26:39] | was to get a material witness warrant. | 应该是去申请一个关键证人的授权书 | 
| [26:42] | Your Honor, under the circumstances– | 法官大人呀,这种情况下。。。 | 
| [26:43] | There are rules barring contact | 有禁止和被代理的对方接触 | 
| [26:46] | with represented parties | 进行接触的规定 | 
| [26:48] | that especially apply to prosecutors, Miss Gamble! | 尤其对控方更是如此,Gamble小姐 | 
| [26:52] | She’s nine years old! | 她才九岁! | 
| [26:54] | I believe the witness is | 我相信这个证人是 | 
| [26:55] | under the control of the defendant. | 处于被告方控制之下 | 
| [26:57] | You have been running about | 你一直上蹿下跳 | 
| [26:59] | making accusation after accusation | 制造一个接一个的 | 
| [27:01] | with nothing to support it! | 毫无根据的指控 | 
| [27:03] | That’s why I went to ask questions. | 那就是我为什么去探寻的原因 | 
| [27:04] | Well, you went about it the wrong way! | 算了吧,但你采用了错误的方法! | 
| [27:07] | You are restrained from going near the girl. | 你被禁止再去接近那个女孩 | 
| [27:10] | You’re lucky I don’t report you to the bar! | 算你走运,我不打算到律师协会举报你! | 
| [27:12] | -Your Honor– -That is all! | -法官大人 -到此为止! | 
| [27:21] | -Do I have to do anything? -No. I promise. | -我必须要做些什么吗? -不用,我保证 | 
| [27:24] | We just want you to be there. | 我们只是希望你去那里 | 
| [27:26] | It would be good for the jury | 看到你们一家人都在一起 | 
| [27:28] | to see you all as a family, that’s all. | 那会给陪审团一个好的印象,仅此而已 | 
| [27:29] | Okay. | 好吧 | 
| [27:31] | Jenny, could you go out for a second? | Jenny,你能出去一小会儿吗? | 
| [27:34] | I’d like to talk to Miss Washington. | 我要和Washington小姐说点事 | 
| [27:36] | -I’ll take her. -Thank you. | -我带她出去 -谢谢 | 
| [27:38] | Come on, honey. | 走吧,宝贝儿 | 
| [27:44] | Is this really necessary? | 真有这个必要吗? | 
| [27:46] | I wouldn’t ask for it if I didn’t need to. | 如果不需要的话,我也不会要求的 | 
| [27:48] | We stand a very good chance of an acquittal here. | 我们很有机会获得无罪判决 | 
| [27:51] | Why risk it? | 为什么要冒险呢? | 
| [27:52] | The risk is her being traumatized. | 风险是她精神上会受到创伤 | 
| [27:55] | She’s got to sit and listen | 她要坐在那里去听那些 | 
| [27:57] | to accusations that her father… | 有关她父亲。。。 | 
| [28:00] | threw her stepmother down the stairs. | 把她继母推下楼梯的指责。 | 
| [28:02] | Again… | 再说一遍。。。 | 
| [28:05] | I’m trying to avoid a conviction. | 我要努力避免被判有罪 | 
| [28:11] | All right, Mr. Donnell. | 好了,Donnell先生。 | 
| [28:13] | Call your first witness. | 传唤你第一个证人吧。 | 
| [28:14] | The defense calls Helen Gamble. | 被告方传Helen Gamble | 
| [28:17] | Offer of proof? | 提供证据? | 
| [28:20] | Miss Gamble was there in the room | Gamble小姐当时和 | 
| [28:23] | with Barrett and Mr. Bay. | Barrett先生以及Bay先生同在一个房间里 | 
| [28:24] | She was the lead D. A. | 她是首席地区检察官 | 
| [28:26] | What’s she going to say that’s not in her affidavit? | 她是要陈述在她宣誓证词书中没有的内容吗? | 
| [28:30] | Well, she will confirm all the allegations | 呃,她会证实在她的宣誓书中 | 
| [28:32] | -made in her affidavit. -She doesn’t need to. I’ve heard them. | -所有的陈述 -那她就不必了,我已经知道那些内容了 | 
| [28:35] | Call your next witness. | 传唤你的下一个证人 | 
| [28:36] | What about the commonwealth’s right | 那。。。州检交叉盘问证人 | 
| [28:39] | to cross-examine this witness? | 的权力呢? | 
| [28:40] | Mr. Bay? | Bay先生? | 
| [28:49] | I think the court can take judicial notice | 我认为法庭能秉公裁断 | 
| [28:51] | we dispute Miss Gamble’s claims. | 我们对Gamble小姐的主张提出质疑 | 
| [28:53] | The court of appeals | 上诉法庭 | 
| [28:55] | ordered a full evidentiary hearing on this issue. | 安排了一次针对此问题的专门听证会 | 
| [28:58] | I will enter her affidavit into evidence. | 我将把她的宣誓书作为证据 | 
| [29:00] | Call your next witness, please. | 请传唤你的下一个证人 | 
| [29:02] | I object to this! | 我对此表示反对! | 
| [29:03] | If you have any other witnesses, | 如果你还有别的证人 | 
| [29:05] | you’d better call them. | 你最好传唤他们 | 
| [29:08] | Otherwise, this evidentiary hearing is over. | 否则,这次证据听证会就结束了 | 
| [29:11] | The defense objects to the court acting out of ego! | 被告方反对法庭这种出于自负的行为 | 
| [29:14] | The defense wants it noted for the record | 被告方要求将反对意见记录在案 | 
| [29:16] | that the trial court judge is angered by the fact | 审判庭法官被上诉法庭裁定他犯有错误 | 
| [29:19] | that the appeals court ruled he was in error, | 的事实所激怒。 | 
| [29:21] | and the defense wants its objection noted for the record | 而且被告方要求将此反对意见记录在案 | 
| [29:24] | that the trial court judge is not complying | 审判庭法官没有遵从 | 
| [29:27] | with the order of the appeals court. | 上诉法庭的命令 | 
| [29:33] | I will repeat– | 我再说一遍。。。 | 
| [29:36] | Call your next witness, or the hearing is over. | 传唤你的下一位证人,否则听证会就结束 | 
| [29:40] | My next witness, Kyle Barrett, hasn’t arrived yet. | 我下一位证人,Kyle Barrett,还没到 | 
| [29:43] | We’ll adjourn until he does. One hour. | 我们休庭等他,一个小时 | 
| [29:45] | (gavel bangs) | |
| [29:47] | (crowd murmuring) | |
| [30:00] | So we have a crime | 所以说,我们有一项连受害人都说不存在 | 
| [30:02] | where the victim says it didn’t happen. | 的犯罪行为。 | 
| [30:06] | Now, did she once claim it did? | 那么,她她有没有说过呢? | 
| [30:09] | Yes. | 她说过 | 
| [30:10] | But, as she explained, | 但是,如她所解释的 | 
| [30:12] | she was confused and angry, | 她那时迷惑且愤懑 | 
| [30:15] | and she lashed out. | 所以她归咎于(她的丈夫) | 
| [30:17] | And all those statements came | 如她所述 | 
| [30:19] | when she was emotionally unsteady, | 她所有的陈述都来自 | 
| [30:21] | as she told you. | 当她情绪不稳定的时侯 | 
| [30:23] | But now she’s admitting the truth– | 但现在她供述出真相是。。。 | 
| [30:26] | It never happened. | 那些都没有发生过 | 
| [30:28] | All those prior statements she made? | 所有她那些之前的陈述? | 
| [30:30] | Made up. | 是编造的 | 
| [30:33] | We don’t just have reasonable doubt | 关于他的罪行 | 
| [30:35] | as to his guilt here; | 我们不仅仅有合理怀疑 | 
| [30:37] | we have proof of his innocence. | 我们有他是无辜的证据 | 
| [30:41] | She finally let go of her rage | 她最终放下了她的愤怒 | 
| [30:46] | and let the truth come out. | 而说出了真相 | 
| [30:49] | If only we could get a zealous district attorney | 但愿我们能有一个热心的地区检察官 | 
| [30:52] | to do the same. | 也能这么做 | 
| [31:01] | Yes, that’s the only reason we’re here– | 是呀,我们在这里的唯一原因。。。 | 
| [31:05] | Because I’m an angry, overzealous district attorney | 因为我是一个愤怒、过分热心的地方检察官 | 
| [31:08] | who cannot let go of her rage. | 但她放不下她的愤怒 | 
| [31:12] | Do you really believe that? | 你们真的相信那些吗? | 
| [31:14] | Nothing to do with the fact | 抛开一个失去知觉的女人 | 
| [31:17] | that an unconscious woman was rushed to the hospital. | 被急送到医院的事实 | 
| [31:20] | Let’s just forget the 911 call | 让我们也忘掉911电话录音中 | 
| [31:22] | where the victim was screaming | 当受害人的丈夫推倒她时 | 
| [31:24] | while the defendant pursued her. | 她正发出惊叫声 | 
| [31:26] | This isn’t the day after, ladies and gentlemen. | 女士们先生们,这不是在事发后一天 | 
| [31:29] | It’s not the week after. | 也不是事发后一周 | 
| [31:31] | These charges were filed six months ago. | 这个指控是六个月前提出的 | 
| [31:36] | Margaret Wakefield has stuck to her story | Margaret Wakefield从去年春天开始 | 
| [31:38] | since last spring. | 就一直坚持她的说法 | 
| [31:40] | It’s only after she and her husband | 仅仅是在她和她丈夫 | 
| [31:42] | talked two days ago about reconciling | 讨论和解两天后 | 
| [31:45] | that she suddenly rises up and says, | 她突然跳起来说: | 
| [31:47] | “Gee, I think I was mistaken. | ”哎呀,我想我弄错了。 | 
| [31:49] | It must have been an accident.” | 那一定是个意外” | 
| [31:54] | Do you really believe that? | 你们真的相信吗? | 
| [31:58] | I’m sure Margaret Wakefield is a little frightened. | 我确信Margaret Wakefield有一点感到害怕 | 
| [32:04] | Her husband Robert supported her. | 她的丈夫供养她 | 
| [32:06] | He’s the father of her step– | 他是她继女的。。。 | 
| [32:14] | He’s the father of her stepdaughter. | 他是她继女的父亲 | 
| [32:16] | She’s suddenly faced with losing everything, | 她突然要面对失去一切 | 
| [32:20] | and she thinks, “Maybe we can work it out.” | 于是她想,“也许我们能解决这问题” | 
| [32:23] | They talk about reconciling, | 他们讨论了和解 | 
| [32:25] | and suddenly, poof. | 突然间,噗的一声 | 
| [32:27] | It’s an accident. | 这是个意外 | 
| [32:30] | He threw her down the stairs. | 他把她推下楼梯 | 
| [32:32] | It can’t be erased, | 即便是受害人的要求 | 
| [32:34] | even at the victim’s own request. | 这一点不能被抹去 | 
| [32:38] | It happened. | 这发生过 | 
| [32:41] | And it will probably happen again. | 而且可能会再次发生 | 
| [32:45] | You heard that tape. | 你们听到了那段录音 | 
| [32:46] | You heard those statements to the police, | 你们听到了她对警察 | 
| [32:48] | to the hospital. | 和对医院的陈述 | 
| [32:50] | “Robert did it. | “Robert 干的 | 
| [32:53] | Robert pushed me.” | Robert 推了我” | 
| [32:59] | She can say whatever she wants to now. | 她现在可以想说什么就说什么 | 
| [33:04] | But she didn’t take an oath to uphold the law. | 但是她没有做到宣誓以维护法律 | 
| [33:09] | The 12 of you did. | 而你们这12个人要做到 | 
| [33:15] | Could you please state your name and address | 先生,你能说一下你的名字和地址 | 
| [33:18] | for the record, sir? | 以便记录吗? | 
| [33:19] | Kyle Barrett. Kyle Barrett。 | |
| [33:20] | 1505 North Street, Walpole, Massachusetts. | 马萨诸塞州Walpole,北街1505号 | 
| [33:23] | Mr. Barrett, you are the brother of Karen Wallace, | Barrett先生,你是Karen Wallace的弟弟 | 
| [33:25] | is that correct? | 对吗? | 
| [33:26] | Was the brother, | 直到你的当事人杀了她之前 | 
| [33:28] | until your client killed her. | 我都是她弟弟 | 
| [33:30] | Mr. Barrett, in preparation for your testimony | Barrett先生,在Scott Wallace案的庭审期间 | 
| [33:33] | at Scott Wallace’s trial, you had a meeting | 你、Richard Bay和Helen Gamble | 
| [33:35] | with Richard Bay and Helen Gamble, | 开了一个会以准备你的证词 | 
| [33:36] | did you not? | 不是吗? | 
| [33:38] | On the advice of counsel, | 根据律师的建议 | 
| [33:40] | I’m exercising my 5th amendment right | 我行使第五修正案赋予我的权利 | 
| [33:42] | not to answer your question. | 将不回答你的提问 | 
| [33:46] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? | 
| [33:50] | Your Honor, I’m Matthew Stone, | 法官大人,我是Matthew Stone | 
| [33:52] | Mr. Barrett’s attorney. | Barrett先生的律师 | 
| [33:53] | Though my client maintains his complete innocence | 虽然我的当事人针对伪证指控, | 
| [33:56] | with respect to any allegation of perjury, | 始终有尊严地坚称自己完全清白 | 
| [34:00] | given Helen Gamble’s beliefs, | 但鉴于Helen Gamble的观点陈述 | 
| [34:03] | I have to advise him not to answer these questions. | 我必须建议他不要回答这些问题 | 
| [34:04] | Your client is not on trial here, Mr. Stone. | Stone先生,又不是你的当事人在受审 | 
| [34:07] | Understood. But with the possibility that charges could file, | 我明白,但是考虑到提出伪证指控的可能性 | 
| [34:10] | he has a 5th amendment right, | 他拥有第五修正案赋予的权力 | 
| [34:12] | and it would be foolish for him not to exercise it. | 如果他不使用这项权力,可能会是愚蠢的 | 
| [34:19] | You have to grant him immunity. | 你必须给他豁免权 | 
| [34:22] | -It’s the only way you can force him– -You can forget that. | -这是强迫他开口的唯一办法 -想都甭想 | 
| [34:24] | If this man committed perjury in a first-degree murder trial, | 如果这家伙在一起有关一级谋杀罪的审判中做了伪证 | 
| [34:27] | I am not going to offer up immunity | 我才不会轻易地 | 
| [34:29] | like a stick of gum! | 给他赦免权! | 
| [34:30] | I have to be allowed to question him! | 可我必须被允许去询问他! | 
| [34:32] | I can’t force him to waive his 5th amendment right! | 但我也不能强迫他放弃第五修正案的权利! | 
| [34:34] | We’re being denied our evidentiary hearing! | 那我们的证据听证会就此夭折了! | 
| [34:36] | Why don’t you supply me with some precedent | 你为什么不给我找出一些 | 
| [34:39] | where I get to take away | 我能剥夺他不自证其罪权力 | 
| [34:40] | his right not to incriminate himself, | 的先例呢? | 
| [34:42] | and I’ll be glad to accommodate you. | 那样的话,我会很乐意帮你的忙 | 
| [34:46] | Is it your client’s intent to take the 5th | 你的当事人会对每个问题 | 
| [34:49] | on every question he’s asked? | 都引用第五修正案吗? | 
| [34:51] | Yes, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人 | 
| [34:54] | Everybody get out. | 所有人都出去! | 
| [34:56] | I’m going to take 10 minutes to think about this, | 我要花十分钟仔细想想这个问题 | 
| [34:58] | then we’ll reconvene. | 然后我们再重新开始 | 
| [35:01] | Out! | 出去! | 
| [35:08] | I thought you quit. | 我以为你走了 | 
| [35:14] | I’m not supposed to talk to you, Helen. | Helen,我不应该和你谈话的 | 
| [35:18] | You seem to be doing a lot of things | 你似乎做了很多 | 
| [35:20] | you’re not supposed to do, Margaret. | 你不应该做的事,Margaret | 
| [35:26] | You know, I couldn’t figure it out– | 你知道吗,我一直想不明白。。。 | 
| [35:29] | Then finally it hit me. | 但最终我明白了 | 
| [35:33] | You’re not going back to Robert | 不是因为你爱Robert | 
| [35:34] | because you love him. | 而回到他的怀抱 | 
| [35:37] | You’re doing it to protect Jennifer, | 你这样做是为了保护Jennifer。 | 
| [35:39] | because it’s the only way you can. | 因为这是你唯一能采用的办法 | 
| [35:43] | I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不知道你在说什么 | 
| [35:44] | -Yes, you do. -No, I don’t. | -你知道的 -不,我不知道 | 
| [35:49] | The reason you’re so horrified | 你如此害怕的原因是 | 
| [35:51] | that he’d only get three years in prison | 他只需在监狱里呆三年 | 
| [35:52] | is because when he got out, | 因此当他出狱的时候 | 
| [35:54] | Jennifer would only be 12, | Jennifer才12岁 | 
| [35:55] | and you’re worried he’d get custody again. | 你担心他能再次获得监护权 | 
| [35:59] | Faced with that, you decide to reconcile | 对此,你决定和解 | 
| [36:02] | so you can always be there to protect her. | 所以你能一直在身边保护她 | 
| [36:06] | Margaret, he might not get custody. | Margaret,他不见得能得到监护权 | 
| [36:09] | -Under the law… -I know the presumption, | -基于法律。。。 -我知道那是个假设 | 
| [36:12] | but there’s a good chance he would. | 但是他还是很有机会获得监护权的 | 
| [36:16] | And then what? | 接下来怎么办? | 
| [36:18] | What happens the next time he pushes you down the stairs? | 下一次他把你推下楼梯的时候呢? | 
| [36:25] | Honey? | 亲爱的? | 
| [36:27] | Everything okay? | 没什么事吧? | 
| [36:31] | Everything’s just swell, Mr. Wakefield. | 一切都好极了,Wakefield先生 | 
| [36:34] | Come on. | 走吧 | 
| [36:51] | All rise. | 请起立 | 
| [37:07] | Be seated. | 请坐下 | 
| [37:15] | I have been ordered by the court of appeals | 我受命于上诉法庭 | 
| [37:17] | to conduct a full hearing into this perjury business. | 举行一个针对伪证问题的专门听证会 | 
| [37:20] | That hearing has been thwarted by the primary witness | 这个听证会由于主要证人 | 
| [37:24] | exercising his 5th amendment right | 行使其第五修正案权力拒绝作证 | 
| [37:26] | not to testify. | 而被阻挠了 | 
| [37:29] | The conviction of Scott Wallace is hereby set aside. | Scott Wallace的定罪特此撤销 | 
| [37:32] | It is the order of this court that he be granted a new trial. | 法庭下令对他进行重审 | 
| [37:36] | -Adjourned. -(gavel bangs) | 休庭 | 
| [37:55] | We fully intend to retry him. | 我们非常想再审他一次 | 
| [37:58] | This man committed murder, | 这人犯了谋杀罪 | 
| [37:59] | and the district attorney’s office | 地区检察官办公室 | 
| [38:01] | will pursue him until his home in prison | 将继续追查直至使其 | 
| [38:03] | becomes permanent. | 终身监禁 | 
| [38:04] | Were you surprised by the ruling? | 你对判决感到惊讶吗? | 
| [38:06] | Shocked is more like it, and outraged. | 应该说是震惊,而且还有愤怒 | 
| [38:08] | Judge Wolf certainly acted within his discretion, | Wlof法官当然是在其自决权范围内行事 | 
| [38:11] | but the reality here is, | 但是现实是 | 
| [38:13] | a killer could get back on the street, | 一个杀人犯可能会获得自由 | 
| [38:15] | and I find that horrifying. | 而我认为这很恐怖 | 
| [38:18] | What will Helen Gamble’s role be in the next trial? | Helen Gamble在重审中会是什么角色? | 
| [38:20] | I will be prosecuting. | 将由我来进行起诉 | 
| [38:23] | I’ll be in charge. | 我来负责此案 | 
| [38:25] | Look at him. Every time he loses, he shrinks an inch. | 看看他,每次失败后,他就会缩一英寸 | 
| [38:27] | Amazing. They do it all over again now. | 太神奇了,他们现在可以重新再来一次了 | 
| [38:30] | It’s amazing. | 太神奇了 | 
| [38:34] | Is it exciting? | 觉得兴奋吗? | 
| [38:35] | The new trials? | 重审? | 
| [38:36] | -Being pregnant. -Oh. (laughs) | -我说的是怀孕 -呵呵 | 
| [38:39] | Yeah, it’s really amazing. | 是呀,真的很奇妙 | 
| [38:42] | (chuckles) | |
| [38:44] | You think Rebecca is? | 你觉得是Rebecca? | 
| [38:45] | I doubt it. | 我怀疑是 | 
| [38:47] | Well, the book and the test– | 那么,那本书和测孕。。。 | 
| [38:49] | It’s kind of an elaborate scam, | 即使是对于Lucy来说 | 
| [38:51] | even for Lucy. | 如果是骗局的话,也太过于设计精妙了 | 
| [38:53] | Yeah, but, between you and me, | 同感,不过,就咱们两个说说而已 | 
| [38:55] | I don’t think Rebecca’s really pregnant, | 我不认为Rebecca怀孕了 | 
| [38:58] | and I don’t think Lucy’s playing any trick. | 但我也不认为Lucy在耍什么把戏 | 
| [39:00] | Then how did that book get here? | 但那本书是怎么来的? | 
| [39:02] | I ordered it. | 是我邮购的 | 
| [39:05] | Why? | 为什么? | 
| [39:10] | Because I’m pregnant. | 因为我怀孕了 | 
| [39:19] | So I’m not convicted anymore? | 那么,我不会被再定罪了? | 
| [39:22] | I mean, I’m not convicted. | 我是说,我还没有被定罪 | 
| [39:24] | No. | 是的 | 
| [39:26] | The verdict is out. | 裁决被撤销了 | 
| [39:32] | Do we do it again? | 我们再来一次吗? | 
| [39:34] | We do it all over again. | 我们从头再来一次 | 
| [39:38] | And this time we’re gonna win. | 而这一次,我们会赢的 | 
| [39:43] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [39:47] | These drugs make me weak. | 这些药使我很虚弱 | 
| [39:49] | They’re to help you rest. | 它们会帮助你休息好 | 
| [39:51] | You just get better now, okay, buddy? | 你现在好多了,放心吧,伙计 | 
| [39:54] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [39:55] | You get better. | 你好多了 | 
| [40:00] | Next time… | 下一次。。。 | 
| [40:04] | …we win. | 。。。我们会赢 | 
| [40:08] | We win. | 我们肯定赢 | 
| [40:20] | The defendant will please rise. | 请被告起立 | 
| [40:28] | Madam foreperson, | 陪审团主席女士 | 
| [40:30] | the jury has reached its unanimous verdict? | 陪审团达成一致裁决了吗? | 
| [40:33] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人 | 
| [40:35] | What say you? | 请宣布 | 
| [40:36] | Commonwealth v. Robert Wakefield– | 关于州政府对Robert Wakefield | 
| [40:39] | On the charge of assault and battery | 意图造成严重的人身伤害 | 
| [40:41] | with intent to cause serious physical injury, | 的攻击和殴打的指控 | 
| [40:44] | we find the defendant, Robert Wakefield, | 我们裁决被告Robert Wakefield | 
| [40:46] | not guilty. | 无罪 | 
| [40:48] | JUDGE HILLER: Members of the jury, | 陪审团成员们 | 
| [40:50] | this completes your service. | 完成了你们的任务 | 
| [40:52] | You’re dismissed with the thanks of the court. | 法庭对此表示感谢,你们可以解散了 | 
| [40:55] | The defendant is free to go. | 被告当庭获释 | 
| [40:57] | This matter is adjourned. | 本案休庭 | 
| [41:02] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 | 
| [41:05] | Thank you, Rebecca. Thank you so much. | 谢谢你,Rebecca,太谢谢了 | 
| [41:07] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 |