时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | Previously on “The Practice”… 2 00:00:02,503 –> 00:00:05,772 We find the defendant Scott Wallace guilty. | (前集回顾部分未进行翻译) |
[00:05] | You got to get me out. | |
[00:07] | -Scott– -Get me out! | |
[00:09] | You got a problem. The man is on the verge of a psychotic breakdown. | |
[00:12] | He needs to be transferred to a mental facility right now. | |
[00:15] | We were hoping they’d order a new trial outright. | |
[00:17] | We didn’t get that, but with a hearing, | |
[00:19] | if the judge determines that the brother did commit perjury, | |
[00:22] | then we get a new trial. | |
[00:24] | Mr. Barrett, you had a meeting with Richard Bay | |
[00:25] | and Helen Gamble, did you not? | |
[00:27] | On the advice of counsel, | |
[00:29] | I’m exercising my fifth amendment right | |
[00:31] | not to answer your question. | |
[00:33] | I have been ordered to conduct a full hearing | |
[00:36] | into this perjury business. | |
[00:37] | That hearing has been thwarted by the primary witness | |
[00:39] | exercising his fifth amendment right. | |
[00:41] | The conviction of Scott Wallace is hereby set aside. | |
[00:45] | It is the order of this court that he be granted a new trial. | |
[00:48] | “What to Expect When You’re Expecting.” | |
[00:51] | Somebody here’s pregos. | |
[00:52] | Lindsay, we might as well tell them. | |
[00:55] | -Did you order that book? -Me? No. | |
[00:58] | That little witch tricked us. | |
[00:59] | Either that, or somebody else is pregnant. | |
[01:02] | How did that book get here? | 那本书怎么来的? |
[01:05] | I ordered it. I want to keep it a secret | 我订购的,我想藏住这个秘密 |
[01:07] | until I’m sure everything’s fine. | 等到我确认不会有什么问题的时候 |
[01:08] | Who’s the father? | 孩子的父亲是谁? |
[01:10] | I’m going to be a single parent. | 我打算做一个单身母亲 |
[01:14] | It starts today? | 今天就开始? |
[01:15] | It’s a simple trial– One prosecution witness– | 一个简单的案子。。。只有一个控方证人。。。 |
[01:18] | You can’t put me on a case and expect that I’m going– | 你不能就这样扔给我一个案子,还希望我。。。 |
[01:21] | Actually, I can, Eugene– Perks of the robe. | 实际上,我可以,Eugene,穿法官长袍就可以这么任性 |
[01:23] | Now, he fired his last lawyer | 他刚解雇了他的最后一个律师 |
[01:25] | just like the two before that, | 之前还有两个 |
[01:27] | and I have an obligation to make sure | 而我有义务要确保 |
[01:29] | he gets a fair trial with adequate representation. | 他在拥有称职的代理律师的情况下得到公平的审判 |
[01:32] | Well, if you’re so concerned with fairness, | 好吧,如果您这么在乎公平 |
[01:34] | how about giving me time to fully prepare? | 那就给我充分准备的时间如何? |
[01:36] | Well, I’m not that concerned. Let me be frank. | 我倒没有那么在乎,跟你直说吧 |
[01:39] | The defendant is world-class scum. | 这个被告是超级人渣 |
[01:41] | I’m sure he’s guilty of the crime. | 我确信他犯了罪 |
[01:43] | Well, I’m glad you have an open mind. | 是吗,我很高兴您这么开诚布公 |
[01:45] | Oh, please. A mind is like a wound. | 噢,拜托,心如伤口 |
[01:47] | If it’s too open, you get an infection. | 过于敞开心扉,会感染的 |
[01:49] | Now, he is stalling | 目前,他通过一个接一个地 |
[01:51] | by firing one attorney after another. | 解雇律师来进行拖延 |
[01:53] | I am not going to let him get away with it anymore. | 我不打算让他再逍遥法外了 |
[01:57] | Why me? | 为什么选中我? |
[01:58] | Because you’re as good as it gets | 因为说到刑法 |
[02:00] | when it comes to criminal law, | 你是最优秀的 |
[02:02] | and I don’t want to give this bastard a shot of appeal | 我不希望因律师辩护不足 |
[02:05] | on inadequacy of counsel. | 而给这混蛋一个上诉的理由 |
[02:07] | So you will do it. | 所以,就是你了 |
[02:10] | Helen Gamble will be the D. A. | Helen Gamble作为控方 |
[02:11] | We all know how jolly she can be. | 我们都知道她会有多兴奋 |
[02:15] | See you in there. | 庭上见 |
[02:17] | Go meet your lovely wife-murdering client. | 去会会你那位可爱的杀妻犯当事人吧 |
[03:13] | I didn’t do it. The cop just wanted to get his picture in the paper | 不是我干的,警察只是想让他们的照片登报 |
[03:16] | and credit for a big collar. I wasn’t even there that night. | 和获得勋章,我当晚甚至都不在现场 |
[03:19] | You live there. | 可你住在那里呀 |
[03:20] | But I wasn’t there that night. | 但我当晚不在那里 |
[03:23] | Look, did her and I have a fight? Yeah. | 听着,她和我吵架了?是的 |
[03:28] | Did I shoot her? No. | 我朝她开枪?没有 |
[03:30] | They got one lousy witness, man. | 他们有一个很糟糕的证人。伙计 |
[03:32] | Eyewitness evidence is easy to shake, Mr. Young. | 目击证人的证词是很容易被驳倒的,Young先生 |
[03:34] | It was dark. I was moving fast. | 天色很黑,我跑得很快 |
[03:36] | No way he got a good clear look. | 他不可能看得很清楚 |
[03:38] | So, if called to testify, | 那么,如果传唤你出庭作证 |
[03:40] | you’ll say you were moving fast. | 你会说你那时跑得很快 |
[03:43] | I’m talking allegedly by his account, man. | 我在谈的是据他所说的,伙计 |
[03:46] | I wasn’t there. | 我根本不在那里 |
[03:47] | Right. | 对 |
[03:49] | When I left in the afternoon, | 当我下午离开的时候 |
[03:51] | she was still alive. | 她还活得好好的 |
[03:53] | The cop is lying. | 警察在撒谎 |
[03:55] | All right, look, | 好了,听着 |
[03:57] | I’m not saying the D. A. Will go for a plea, | 我并不是说检察官会打算提供一份认罪协议 |
[04:00] | but if I can– | 但如果我能。。。 |
[04:01] | No. I want you to beat it. | 不,我想让你搞定它 |
[04:03] | One eyewitness at nighttime, man– | 一个在夜晚的目击证人,伙计。。。 |
[04:05] | You got to be able to make reasonable doubt on that. | 你肯定可以使之具有合理怀疑 |
[04:18] | Six months on each count? | 每项罪名服刑六个月? |
[04:22] | No. Total. | 不,是一共 |
[04:24] | What? | 什么? |
[04:25] | This is a liberal judge, | 这是一个自由派法官 |
[04:27] | and he can go easy on sentencing, but– | 他能在量刑时手下留情,但是。。。 |
[04:30] | And this is important– | 这点很重要 |
[04:31] | He’s probably going to tell you a story | 他可能会跟你讲个 |
[04:33] | about Ray Charles. | 关于Ray Charles的故事 |
[04:35] | What you mean about Ray Charles? | 你说Ray Charles是什么意思? |
[04:37] | He lectures defendants. | 他会向被告说教 |
[04:39] | His favorite is the Ray Charles story. | 他最喜欢的是Ray Charles的故事 |
[04:41] | It’s corny, but you have to take it seriously. | 很过时的故事,但是你必须严肃对待 |
[04:45] | I had a defendant snicker once, | 我有一个当事人窃笑了一次 |
[04:47] | and this guy doubled the sentence. | 结果量刑加了一倍 |
[04:49] | I want you to think sad thoughts | 我要你想一些悲伤的事 |
[04:52] | and just get through it and show remorse. | 只是要听完那个故事,并显出自责 |
[04:55] | Okay. | 行 |
[04:57] | You take responsibility for the crime. | 你要对你的罪行负责 |
[04:58] | Don’t be saying you never had the drugs. | 不要说你从来没有吸毒 |
[05:01] | Got it. | 明白了 |
[05:03] | And whatever you do, | 不管你做什么 |
[05:04] | don’t laugh. | 千万别笑 |
[05:07] | I’m looking at prison time, Mr. Berluti. | 我眼看就要坐牢了,Berluti |
[05:10] | Ain’t gonna be no laughing. | 我笑不出来的 |
[05:13] | HELEN: She was unconscious. | 她失去了知觉 |
[05:16] | You were afraid of how it might look. | 你担心被看出这是怎么回事 |
[05:19] | You put her in the car | 于是你把她放进车里 |
[05:21] | to make it look like a suicide. | 使她看起来像是自杀 |
[05:23] | That’s what happened, isn’t it? | 这就是实情,不是吗? |
[05:26] | This is the part that kills us. | 这是最要命的 |
[05:31] | That’s the bomb. | 这就是颗炸弹 |
[05:33] | This tape got admitted for impeachment | 这盘录像带被允许用于反驳 |
[05:35] | which prevented Scott from testifying. | 遏制了Scott去出庭作证 |
[05:38] | You mean it made you keep him from testifying. | 你的意思是这使你阻止他出庭作证 |
[05:40] | Right. I don’t want to be in that position again. | 对,我不希望再陷入到那种困境中 |
[05:43] | If the judge let it in once, | 如果法官再考量一次 |
[05:45] | what makes you think he’s going to change his mind now? | 你凭什么认为他会改变主意? |
[05:47] | Judge Wolf isn’t the judge for the new trial. | Wolf法官不是重审的主审法官 |
[05:49] | We drew Judge Hiller. | 我们抽到了Hiller法官 |
[05:52] | I was responding to a report on a possible shooting. | 我接到疑似枪击的报案后就出警了 |
[05:55] | When I arrived at the house, I saw the defendant | 当我到达那所房子时,我看见被告 |
[05:58] | leaving the side door of the house, running. | 从房子的侧门跑掉了 |
[06:00] | -This man? -Yes. | -这个人吗? -是的 |
[06:03] | What did you do next, Officer? | 接下来你做了什么?警官 |
[06:05] | I entered the premises and discovered the victim– | 我进入房子并发现受害人。。。 |
[06:08] | An African-American female approximately 30 years of age | 一个大约30岁左右的非裔女性美国人 |
[06:10] | with what apparently | 看上去是 |
[06:12] | was a single gunshot wound to the head. | 头部中了一枪 |
[06:15] | -She was dead. -Yes, ma’am. | -她死了? -是的,女士 |
[06:18] | When did you next see the defendant, Officer? | 你什么时候再次看见被告的?警官 |
[06:20] | Two days later. I identified him in a police lineup | 两天后,我在列队指认中认出了他 |
[06:22] | as being the man I saw fleeing the house. | 就是我看到的那个逃离房子的人 |
[06:25] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[06:28] | To your knowledge, sir, | 据你所知,先生 |
[06:30] | were any fingerprints found on the gun? | 枪上有指纹吗? |
[06:33] | The gun was never retrieved. | 一直没有找到枪 |
[06:35] | Was any gunshot residue found on my client’s hands? | 我的当事人手上有没有发现枪击残留物? |
[06:38] | No. | 没有 |
[06:39] | To your knowledge, was a trace-metal test done | 据你所知,判断我的当事人是否持枪的 |
[06:42] | to see if my client had even held a gun? | 微量金属测试做了吗? |
[06:44] | The test came back negative, but it was two days later– | 测试的结果是阴性,但是两天后。。。 |
[06:46] | Thank you, sir. You said you picked my client out of a police lineup. | 谢谢你,先生,你说你是从指认队列里把我的当事人指出来的 |
[06:50] | -You recognized him? -Yes. | -你认出他了吗? -是的 |
[06:52] | In fact, you had met my client before, hadn’t you? | 实际上,你和我的当事人之前是见过面的,不是吗? |
[06:54] | Once. | 见过一次 |
[06:56] | You had responded to a domestic conflict before | 你之前因为一次家庭冲突而出过警 |
[06:59] | -at his residence? -Yes. | -就是在他的住所? 是的 |
[07:01] | When you saw my client in the police lineup, | 当你在指认队列中看见我的当事人 |
[07:03] | is it possible you recognized him | 是否有可能是因为你和他之前见过 |
[07:05] | because you had met him before? | 所以才指认他的? |
[07:06] | No, I recognized him both as a man I’d met before | 不,我认出他是以前我见过的人 |
[07:09] | and as the man I saw fleeing the house the night of the shooting. | 同时也认出是枪击案当晚从房子里跑掉的那个人 |
[07:13] | -So the man was running out a side door. -Correct. | -这个人是从侧门跑掉的 -没错 |
[07:17] | -Toward the front of the house or the back? -The back. | -他是朝房子前面还是后面跑的? -向房子后面 |
[07:20] | So he was running away from you? | 那么说,他是往背离你的方向跑开的? |
[07:21] | I got a good look at him. | 我看他看得很清楚 |
[07:22] | He was running away from you, sir, at night | 可他是在黑夜里,往背离你的方向跑开的 |
[07:25] | I got a good look. | 我看得很清楚 |
[07:27] | Why were you playing out of position? | 你为什么失位了? |
[07:30] | What? | 什么? |
[07:32] | That’s the term when you’re outside your assigned area. | 这是指你没有处于你被分派的位置时的术语 |
[07:39] | Call came in of a possible shooting. | 一个疑似枪击的报案呼叫传来 |
[07:41] | You said you were on it, | 你回答说由你来处理 |
[07:43] | but you were outside your patrol area. | 但是你是处于你的巡逻区域之外的 |
[07:45] | I wasn’t that far outside my area. | 我离开给我分派的区域没多远 |
[07:48] | -You weren’t the closest unit. -No. | -但你不是离案发地点最近的 -对 |
[07:50] | -Why’d you take the call? -I recognized the address. | -那你为什么要接受这个任务? -因为我知道这个地址 |
[07:53] | Why were you playing out of position, Officer? | 那你为什么要会失位?警官 |
[07:57] | I don’t remember. | 我记不得了 |
[08:01] | You don’t remember. | 你记得不了? |
[08:08] | My client has been in drug programs. | 我的当事人加入了戒毒计划 |
[08:10] | He’s clean. He hasn’t been using. | 他是清白的,他没有再吸毒了 |
[08:12] | He’s willing to do community service | 获释后,他自愿参加社区服务 |
[08:14] | upon release, Your Honor. | 法官大人 |
[08:15] | In fact, it’s something he wants to do. | 实际上,这正是他想做的事 |
[08:18] | And the commonwealth is okay with six months? | 州政府对六个月刑期认可吗? |
[08:20] | We feel it’s a little light, but we’re not opposing. | 我们觉得有点轻了,但我们也不反对 |
[08:23] | All right. Step back. | 那就这样,退后 |
[08:27] | Mr. Babbit, please rise. Ahem. | Babbit先生,请站起来 |
[08:30] | And before I sentence you, young man, | 年轻人,在我对你宣布量刑前, |
[08:32] | I want to talk to you, | 我想跟你说几句 |
[08:34] | not as a judge but as a teacher | 不是作为一个法官,而是作为一个师长 |
[08:36] | and, perhaps, as a friend. | 或许可以说作为一个朋友 |
[08:39] | Now, I know that young men like you rarely have the benefit | 呃,我知道现在像你这样的年轻人 |
[08:43] | of a male influence in your community. | 在你们的社区,很少能受益于父辈好的影响 |
[08:46] | Well, maybe for this one moment in this very special place | 那么,也许此时此刻在这么一个特殊的场合 |
[08:52] | I can be a father to you and a friend. | 我能作为你的父辈和朋友 |
[08:56] | I’d like to tell you a little story– a true story. | 我想给你讲一个小故事,一个真实的故事 |
[09:00] | Now, many years ago | 呃,很多年前 |
[09:02] | a little child was born in the South– | 一个生在南方的小孩子。。。 |
[09:05] | Poor, hungry, black, | 可怜的,饥饿的,黑肤色, |
[09:08] | no direction, | 充满迷茫, |
[09:10] | and more than that, he was blind. | 除此之外,他还双目失明 |
[09:15] | But this boy had a gift. | 但是这个孩子有个天赋 |
[09:16] | His gift was music. | 音乐 |
[09:18] | People loved to sit and listen to this boy play the piano. | 人们喜欢围坐聆听这孩子弹奏钢琴 |
[09:24] | But like you, he had a monkey on his back– | 跟你一样,他有个癖好。。。 |
[09:27] | the monkey of drug addiction. | 就是毒瘾 |
[09:30] | He was addicted to heroin. Lord God, he loved the needle. | 他沉溺于海洛因。上帝啊,他超爱这种刺激 |
[09:34] | But you know what? Blind, black, | 但你知道吗?盲人,黑皮肤 |
[09:37] | addicted to drugs, | 吸毒成瘾。 |
[09:39] | he beat his monkey. | 而他驱散了他的心魔 |
[09:42] | Beat it, I tell you. | 击败了它,我告诉你 |
[09:44] | And he went on to become a beloved American– a hero– | 他后来成为了一个受人爱戴的美国人,一个英雄。。。 |
[09:49] | a black, blind, American hero. | 一个双目失明的美国黑人英雄 |
[09:52] | And that man had a name, son. | 孩子,这个人有个名字 |
[09:55] | His name was Mr. Raymond Charles. | 他的名字是Raymond Charles (确实真人真事,美国著名黑人蓝调歌手Ray Charles) |
[10:00] | Now, let this be the first day of the rest of your life, | 现在,这将是你重获新生的第一天 |
[10:03] | young soldier– a drug-free life. | 年轻的勇士,一种没有毒品的新生 |
[10:05] | Go forward to make this world a better place. | 奋勇向前,让这世界变得更美好! |
[10:09] | (laughing) | |
[10:18] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[10:20] | I’m– I’m sorry, Your Honor. | 我。。。对不起,法官大人 |
[10:21] | -You think this is funny? -No, sir. | -你觉得很好笑? -不是,先生 |
[10:26] | Well, I’m not impressed with your disrespect, Mr. Babbit. | 那好吧,Babbit先生,我不介意你的无礼 |
[10:30] | Perhaps you’re not quite ready to go back into the world. | 但也许你还没准备好重返这个世界 |
[10:33] | -Your Honor– -Never mind, Mr. Berluti. | -法官大人 -别担心,Berluti先生 |
[10:35] | The defendant is sentenced to 18 months at Cedar Junction. | 被告被判18个月拘禁,关押在Cedar Junction |
[10:38] | Eighteen months? | 18个月? |
[10:39] | Bailiff, take the defendant into custody. | 法警,拘押被告 |
[10:41] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[10:51] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 |
[11:03] | His personnel file? | 他的个人档案? |
[11:05] | I see he’s receiving psychiatric treatment. | 我看到他正在接受精神治疗 |
[11:08] | That would be totally privileged. | 那是完全保密的 |
[11:09] | Ordinarily, yes, but sometimes the courts | 通常是的,但有时 |
[11:11] | have looked into the records of police officers | 在和案件有关联时,法庭可以 |
[11:13] | when they’re relevant to the case. | 调取查阅警官的记录 |
[11:15] | And what would be the relevance here? | 这案子中存在什么关联? |
[11:17] | I don’t know, Your Honor, | 我不知道,法官大人 |
[11:19] | but you saw him up there. He’s hiding something, | 但你们看到他的表现了,他有所隐瞒 |
[11:21] | and if there’s anything in those files | 如果在档案中存在一些 |
[11:23] | that goes to his credibility, I should be allowed access. | 关乎他的诚信的问题,我应被允许调阅 |
[11:26] | You haven’t made any showing, | 你没有展现出 |
[11:27] | and you can’t make any offer of proof | 也没有提供任何证据 |
[11:29] | that there is anything. | 说明存在这样的问题 |
[11:31] | Helen, come on. | Helen,算了吧 |
[11:32] | I just got this case with my morning cup of coffee, | 我只是在早上喝咖啡的时候被拉进这个案子里的 |
[11:34] | and I know Your Honor doesn’t want to give | 而且我知道法官大人不打算 |
[11:36] | this world-class citizen any grounds for appeal. | 给这个超级人渣任何可以上诉的理由 |
[11:41] | I’ll tell you what. I will look at the report. | 你听我说,我会审阅这些报告 |
[11:44] | If I see anything that’s relevant, | 如果我看到有什么有关联性的问题 |
[11:46] | I’ll let you look. | 我会让你看的 |
[11:48] | Otherwise, forget it. | 如果没有,就算了吧 |
[11:56] | Taken out of context, | 断章取义 |
[11:58] | it looks like an admission. | 看上去像是承认而已 |
[11:59] | It was in complete context. | 背景环境是充分的 |
[12:01] | What’s more, silence is admissible. | 另外,沉默是可以被认可的 |
[12:03] | Failure to respond to an accusation made against you | 对针对你的指控没有回应 |
[12:05] | can legally be considered an admission. | 在法律上可以被认为是承认了 |
[12:07] | First of all, that begs the conclusion | 首先,预设结论的前提是 |
[12:09] | that this was a voluntary communication. | 应该是出于自愿的交流 |
[12:11] | Did your client not get Miranda? | 你的客户没有被宣读米兰达宣言吗? |
[12:13] | He did, but he was in shock at the time. | 对他宣读了,但是他那时出于惊骇中 |
[12:16] | I have submitted to the court | 我已经给法庭提交了 |
[12:18] | three psychiatric reports | 三份心理评估报告 |
[12:19] | which question the voluntariness– | 对自愿的说法进行了质疑。。。 |
[12:21] | Oh, please, Mr. Donnell. | 噢,Donnell先生,别来这套 |
[12:22] | Defense lawyers can hire psychiatrists all the time | 辩护律师可以总是雇佣一些心理学家 |
[12:25] | to proclaim he didn’t know what he was saying. | 来说明被告不知道自己在说什么 |
[12:28] | We have a man whose wife was found dead, | 我们有个痛失爱妻的男人 |
[12:31] | and he was still trying to absorb that | 当警察给他戴上手铐的时候 |
[12:33] | when the police suddenly handcuffed him. | 他还在尽力忍受丧妻的痛苦 |
[12:34] | Next thing, he’s in a room with the district attorney, | 紧接着,他被地区检察官带进一间屋子里 |
[12:36] | a district attorney who now believes he’s innocent, by the way. | 顺便说一下,其中一个检察官现在相信他是无辜的 |
[12:40] | She never said that. | 她可没这么说 |
[12:41] | It’s too prejudicial to allow a jury to see it. It would bias them. | 让陪审团看到这一点太容易引起偏见了。这会影响他们的。 |
[12:45] | What Mr. Donnell is saying is he doesn’t trust juries. | Donnell在说的是,他不相信陪审团 |
[12:47] | Well, that’s the system of this country, | 这就是这个国家采用的体制 |
[12:49] | and if it displeases him, perhaps he should move to Cuba. | 如果他不喜欢,他或许应该去古巴 |
[12:51] | Mr. Bay, did you see the sign | Bay先生,你看到了 |
[12:54] | “Check your soapbox at the door”? | “请勿即兴演讲”的标志吗? |
[12:55] | No. | 没看到 |
[12:57] | Do I need to hang one? | 需要我挂上去一个吗? |
[12:58] | The bottom line question is | 最本质的问题是 |
[13:01] | whether the potential prejudice of this tape | 这盘录像带潜在性的偏见是否 |
[13:04] | outweighs its probative value. | 超过了其证明性的价值 |
[13:07] | The answer is yes. | 答案是肯定的 |
[13:10] | Let them try Scott Wallace on the evidence | 让他们用证据来审查Scott Wallace |
[13:12] | and the evidence alone, not an emotional breakdown | 只用证据,而不是利用其 |
[13:15] | which occurred in the wake of an unimaginable tragedy. | 在发生一场无法想象的悲剧之后的精神崩溃。 |
[13:18] | This man is in a psychiatric ward | 当我们在说这些的时候 |
[13:20] | as we speak. | 这个人正住在精神病病房里 |
[13:21] | -How convenient. -You know what, Richard? | -真虚伪 -你知道啊,Richard? |
[13:24] | All right. I’ve heard the arguments. I have your briefs. | 够了,我听到了这些论据,我了解你们各自的要点 |
[13:28] | I’ll take the matter under advisement, and I’ll rule. | 我会慎重考虑这件事的,继而做出裁决 |
[13:31] | Thank you both. | 谢谢你们俩 |
[13:34] | It was totally, totally, totally my fault. | 这完全是、完全是,彻彻底底是我的错 |
[13:38] | I kept telling him not to laugh. | 我不断跟他说不要笑 |
[13:40] | I think I put so much pressure on him– | 我想我给他的压力过分了。。。 |
[13:43] | Why would you have to tell him not to laugh? | 你为什么非要跟他说不要笑? |
[13:50] | Well, he gets extremely nervous, | 这个,他非常紧张 |
[13:53] | and laughing is a reaction he has. | 他这人一紧张就会笑 |
[13:56] | That’s why. I was so afraid | 这就是原因,我太怕他 |
[13:58] | he might get nervous and laugh here, | 可能在庭上会紧张而发笑 |
[14:01] | I kept hounding him, and I just made it worse. | 我一直跟他唠叨,却反而出了错 |
[14:05] | He wasn’t laughing at what you were saying, Your Honor, | 法官大人,他不是因为你说的那些而发笑的 |
[14:08] | I promise you. | 我跟你保证 |
[14:10] | He sure seemed to be. | 看起来他确实是在笑我 |
[14:12] | He’s a nervous kid. | 他这孩子很紧张 |
[14:13] | He’s facing jail. | 他面临要去坐牢 |
[14:15] | Who’s going to laugh at that? | 谁还有心情会笑呀? |
[14:17] | To triple his sentence– | 可把他的刑期加三倍。。。 |
[14:20] | Please, Your Honor. | 求你了,法官大人 |
[14:25] | All right. | 好吧 |
[14:29] | I’ll have him brought back in. | 我会把他带回来 |
[14:31] | We can re-sentence, | 我们可以重判 |
[14:33] | but I am giving you and your client a break, | 但我是给你和你的当事人一个机会 |
[14:37] | Mr. Berluti. | Berluti先生 |
[14:39] | I understand that, | 这个我懂 |
[14:40] | and I’m very grateful, Judge. | 我非常感激,法官大人 |
[14:45] | My medical file? | 我的医疗档案? |
[14:47] | If the judge thinks there’s nothing relevant, | 如果法官认为其中没有与本案有关的信息 |
[14:50] | they’ll stay sealed. | 档案还是会保持封存的 |
[14:54] | What’s wrong? | 有问题吗? |
[14:56] | I’ve been married 17 years. I have kids! | 我结婚17年了,我还有孩子 |
[15:00] | Paul, what’s the matter? | Paul,怎么了 |
[15:05] | I… | 我。。。 |
[15:06] | What’s in the file? | 档案里有什么? |
[15:15] | I’m gay. | 我是个同性恋 |
[15:23] | When he said, “playing out of position,” | 当他问“失位” |
[15:26] | I thought for a second he knew. | 我想了一下他是不是知道了什么 |
[15:29] | So I froze up there on the stand. | 所以我在证人席上愣住了 |
[15:35] | It is totally irrelevant. | 这完全无关紧要 |
[15:38] | That’s my call, actually, but thanks for your input. | 说实在的,是我要求调阅档案的,但还是谢谢你的意见 |
[15:40] | Well, I’m not so sure it is irrelevant. | 我不认为这一定是无关紧要的 |
[15:42] | If this situation caused stress– | 如果这种情况造成压力。。。 |
[15:44] | -Which affected job performance– -Well, it didn’t. | -会影响到工作表现 -不会的 |
[15:46] | That’s what it seems to suggest. | 这似乎是可以联想到的 |
[15:48] | His sexual orientation did not impair his ability | 他的性取向不会影响到 |
[15:50] | to make an I. D. of a fleeing suspect, Eugene. | 他辨识出一个逃逸嫌犯的能力,Eugene。 |
[15:52] | Helen, this whole case | Helen,这个案子完全是 |
[15:54] | turns on the credibility of this officer. | 取决于这名警官的可信度。 |
[15:55] | If he was dealing with severe stress, | 如果他的行为是处于沉重的压力下 |
[15:57] | I have to be allowed to cross-examine him. | 我必须要被允许对其进行交叉盘问 |
[15:59] | -First, this is so collateral. -I disagree. | -首先,这是过于间接的关联性 -我不同意 |
[16:01] | And second, it will ruin the man’s life. | 其次,这会毁了这个人的生活 |
[16:03] | And a conviction ruins another man’s life. | 而一个有罪判决会毁了另一个人的生活 |
[16:04] | You really want to go down that path? | 你难道想按这个思路干吗? |
[16:07] | Your Honor, you want to take me off this case, fine. | 法官大人,你想把我赶出这个案子吧,我求之不得 |
[16:09] | -But as long as I’m on it– -You will be despicable. | -但只要我在办这个案子 -你将会很卑劣的 |
[16:12] | I don’t need that. | 我不需要那样 |
[16:13] | All right. I will let you introduce | 好了好了,我将允许你提出 |
[16:15] | that he was receiving | 他接受过 |
[16:16] | psychiatric treatment for stress. | 心理压力方面的治疗 |
[16:18] | The cause of that stress is off-limits. | 但产生压力的原因不允许提及 |
[16:20] | I’d like to read the report. | 我想看一下这份医疗档案 |
[16:22] | Denied, and, Eugene, you are not to even share | 拒绝,而且,Eugene,你甚至不能 |
[16:24] | this information with your client. | 跟你的当事人提到这些信息 |
[16:26] | I don’t think you can order that. | 我不认为你有权下这个命令 |
[16:28] | I just did. | 我就下令了 |
[16:35] | So, how are you feeling? | 你感觉怎么样? |
[16:37] | I’m feeling better, Bobby. | Bobby,我感觉好些了 |
[16:38] | You look better. | 你看起来不错 |
[16:39] | I’m feeling good. | 我感觉很好 |
[16:41] | No more spots? | 再没有斑点的幻觉了? |
[16:43] | I want her to get you a couple of new suits | 为了庭审我打算给你置办几套新外衣 |
[16:45] | for trial, so she’ll need to take some measurements. | 所以她需要给你量一下尺寸 |
[16:46] | This time I testify, right? | 这次我会出庭作证,对吧? |
[16:49] | Well, let’s see how the ruling goes on the videotape, | 那要看关于录像带证据是怎么裁定的 |
[16:52] | but hopefully, you’ll testify, yes. | 但你有希望能作证 |
[16:54] | You got any good news? | 你有什么好消息吗? |
[16:57] | All they give you here is Jell-O, damn it. | 他们这儿只给我果冻,可恶! |
[17:05] | Second trials typically favor the defendant. | 重审一般来说对被告是有利的 |
[17:08] | There won’t be any surprises this time, Scott. | Scott,这次应该不会有什么意外 |
[17:10] | We’ll be ready for Kyle Barrett. | 我们会准备好对付Kyle Barrett |
[17:13] | Good. Excellent. | 好,很好 |
[17:16] | Good. | 很好 |
[17:21] | And I just want to apologize to the court | 如果我有任何无礼的表现的话 |
[17:24] | if I showed any disrespect. | 我要对法庭表示歉意 |
[17:26] | It wasn’t my intent to offend you. | 我无意冒犯您 |
[17:28] | I understand from your attorney | 我从你的律师那里了解到 |
[17:30] | that you couldn’t control yourself? | 你不能自我控制? |
[17:32] | That’s right. | 是呀 |
[17:34] | All right. | 那好吧 |
[17:37] | But before I re-sentence you, | 但是在对你重新判决之前 |
[17:39] | I’d like to tell you a little story | 我想给你讲个小故事 |
[17:42] | about a woman, who like you, lacked control sometimes. | 有关一名妇女,她像你一样,有时会缺乏控制 |
[17:47] | Like you, she had an addiction. | 也跟你一样,她有个嗜好 |
[17:49] | Her addiction was gambling. | 赌博 |
[17:52] | Like you, she wanted the fast life | 就像你一样,她追求放纵的生活 |
[17:54] | with fast cars, | 飙车 |
[17:56] | but she only got those things when she learned | 但是,年轻人,只有当她学会了 |
[17:58] | to control herself and beat her addiction | 如何控制自己并戒掉了赌瘾后 |
[18:02] | when she learned to work hard, | 当她明白要通过努力工作并身体力行去努力工作后 |
[18:04] | and she did work hard, young man. | 她才如愿以偿 |
[18:07] | She had the voice of an angel, | 她有天使般的嗓音 |
[18:10] | and with her golden voice and hard work, | 通过她那金色嗓音和辛勤的工作 |
[18:15] | she, too, beat her monkey, | 她也驱散了她的心魔 |
[18:19] | and that woman had a name, son. | 孩子,那个女人有个名字 |
[18:23] | Her name was… | 她的名字就是。。。 |
[18:26] | Miss Gladys Knight! | (60-70年代的黑人女歌手, 被称为灵魂皇后,福音大师,年轻时迷恋赌博) |
[18:30] | Ha ha! | 哈哈! |
[18:33] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[18:36] | I was thinking of something else. | 我想到了别的什么事 |
[18:39] | Me, too, I promise. | 我保证,我也是 |
[18:45] | The defendant is hereby sentenced to 12 months | 特此判被告每个罪名 |
[18:49] | on each count, | 服刑12个月 |
[18:51] | the sentences to run consecutively. | 连续执行 |
[18:53] | Two years? | 两年? |
[18:55] | Bailiff, take the defendant into custody. | 法警,把被告收押! |
[18:57] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[19:17] | He can’t introduce it. He can only put it in | 他不能说你是同性恋,他只能表述说 |
[19:19] | that you were undergoing treatment for stress. | 你正在接受心理压力治疗 |
[19:21] | I’ve testified before. These lawyers trick you. | 我以前作过证,这些律师给人下套 |
[19:24] | What if he twists one of my answers | 如果他故意曲解我的回答 |
[19:26] | and says I opened the door? | 然后说是我引出了相关的话题呢? |
[19:27] | I will protect you. You have my word. | 我会保护你的,我向你保证 |
[19:30] | This Eugene Young has a reputation. | 这个Eugene Young很有名的 |
[19:32] | What does he care if it’s called a mistrial? | 如果弄成无效审判,他会在乎吗? |
[19:35] | For him, he’ll do anything. | 对于他来说,什么干不出来呀 |
[19:37] | Paul, within the law. | Paul,在法律层面上 |
[19:39] | Judge Kittleson was very clear in her ruling. | Kittleson法官的裁定非常清晰 |
[19:41] | Mr. Young will abide by it. | Eugene Young会遵守的 |
[19:43] | Listen… | 听着。。。 |
[19:45] | you just answer, | 你只要回答, |
[19:48] | “Yes, I suffered from stress, and I sought treatment. | “是的,我受心理压力的困扰,我在寻求治疗” |
[19:51] | It didn’t affect me that night.” | 那对我当晚的辨别能力没有影响 |
[19:53] | Keep it as simple as that, but do not– Do not lie, | 就这么简单地回答,但是别。。。别撒谎 |
[19:57] | because then he can get in the other stuff | 因为那样的话,他就能通过质疑你 |
[19:59] | through impeachment. | 而引出一些别的事来 |
[20:01] | Just answer the questions, don’t elaborate, | 只回答问题,不要详细描述 |
[20:03] | and I will protect you. | 而我会保护你的 |
[20:18] | I have read both your briefs. | 我已经阅读了你们双方的要点概述 |
[20:22] | I also watched the videotape again, | 我也再次看了那个录像 |
[20:25] | and it is my conclusion… | 我的结论是。。。 |
[20:28] | Judge Wolf erred. | Wolf法官允许这个录像 |
[20:31] | Allowing the tape in for impeachment purposes– | 可用于质疑证人的目的,是错误的。。。 |
[20:34] | His legal rationale escapes me. | 我无法理解他的法律依据 |
[20:37] | This tape is outright admissible altogether. | 这个录像完全可以被全部接受 |
[20:41] | I’m permitting prosecution to use it as evidence. | 我许可控方将此作为证据 |
[20:46] | Mr. Donnell, if you think | Donnell先生,如果你认为 |
[20:48] | the statements or conduct of Mr. Wallace | Wallace先生的陈述或举止 |
[20:50] | were a result of shock or trauma, | 是源自于惊骇或者创伤的影响 |
[20:53] | you’re free to raise that in your defense. | 你可以在你的辩护中提出这个问题 |
[20:56] | That is all. | 就这样。 |
[20:58] | The trial will begin next Tuesday at 9:00 A. M. | 庭审定于下周二上午九点 |
[21:01] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[21:09] | You’ll get our witness list by the end of the day. | 你会日内拿到我们的证人名单 |
[21:11] | I don’t expect it to change. | 我想不会有什么变化了 |
[21:13] | The transcripts are in. | 副本在里面 |
[21:15] | I’ll have copies sent over. | 我会把复印件寄过去的 |
[21:16] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[21:21] | I want to file a writ. If that tape– | 我想提交一份令状,如果那录像。。。 (请求高一级法院下令推翻Hiller法官做出的裁定) |
[21:24] | Bobby, it was the right ruling. | Bobby,这次的裁决是正确的 |
[21:26] | I should at least try. | 我们应该至少去试一试 |
[21:28] | No, you shouldn’t. We have six days | 不,你不应该,我们有六天时间 |
[21:30] | to get ready for trial. You can’t waste time on writs. | 去准备庭审,你不能把时间花在提交令状上了 |
[21:33] | Let’s focus on what we can win now. | 让我们现在把注意力集中在那些能让我们获胜的事上 |
[21:34] | You start preparing the psychiatric experts. | 你开始去帮心理专家证人做准备 |
[21:36] | I’ll go over the transcripts with Ellenor. | 我会和Ellenor去认真讨论一下那份对方证人的名单副本 |
[21:42] | I’m obviously pleased with the ruling. | 我当然很满意这个裁定 |
[21:44] | The commonwealth has always felt that the statement | 州检始终认为被告的陈述 |
[21:47] | was a de facto admission and that it was evidence. | 是对事实的坦白,并且可以作为证据 |
[21:49] | I’m satisfied that a jury | 我对陪审团现在得以考量那个证据 |
[21:51] | will now get to consider that evidence. That is all. | 感到很满意,就这些了 |
[21:54] | Mr. Bay… | Bay先生。。。 |
[21:55] | This way, Mr. Bay. | 请到这边,Bay先生。 |
[21:58] | Can I get a picture, Mr. Bay? | Bay先生,我能给你拍个照吗? |
[22:02] | Officer Brewer, have you ever made arrests | Brewer警官,你可曾实施过逮捕 |
[22:06] | where the district attorneys have refused to prosecute? | 但地区检察官却拒绝提出指控吗? |
[22:08] | -Of course. -How many times? | -当然有 -多少次? |
[22:11] | I’m not sure. | 这我说不好 |
[22:12] | -More than five? -Yes. | -不止五次? -嗯 |
[22:14] | More than 10? | 不止十次? |
[22:16] | Sometimes there’s insufficient evidence– | 有时候证据不足。。。 |
[22:17] | More than 20? | 不止二十次? |
[22:18] | Objection. What’s the point of this? | 反对,问这些有什么意义? |
[22:20] | The point is this officer sometimes claims | 意义在于这名警官有时声称 |
[22:22] | a crime has been committed, | 发生了犯罪行为 |
[22:23] | only to have the D. A. say otherwise. | 不曾想地区检察官却说没有 |
[22:25] | A district attorney’s decision to dismiss | 地区检察官决定不予受理的原因 |
[22:27] | often turns on the prospect of getting a conviction. | 经常取决于是否具有成功定罪的预期 |
[22:30] | It’s not about overruling the arresting police officer. | 这不是要推翻警察实施的逮捕 |
[22:32] | Well, sometimes it does involve the honesty of the officer, | 但有时候这关乎警官的诚信 |
[22:35] | and that’s what I’m trying to explore. | 这一点就是我试图要探究的 |
[22:37] | I’ll allow it. | 我允许对此提问 |
[22:38] | Officer Brewer, how are you on the issue of honesty? | Brewer警官,你的诚信如何? |
[22:41] | What is that supposed to mean? | 你这是什么意思呀? |
[22:43] | Are you an honest person, sir? | 先生,你是个诚实的人吗? |
[22:45] | Objection. Sounds like badgering. | 反对,听起来像是纠缠证人 |
[22:47] | Every witness, by testifying, | 每一个证人既然作证 |
[22:49] | puts his credibility in issue, and I’m allowed to explore | 就是把他的诚信带入到案子里。而我被允许去探究 |
[22:51] | this man’s reputation for truthfulness. | 这个人有关诚实方面的信誉 |
[22:54] | The objection is overruled. | 反对被驳回 |
[22:56] | Do you consider yourself to be a truthful person, sir? | 先生,你认为自己是个诚实的人吗? |
[22:58] | Yes. | 是的 |
[22:59] | You live a truthful life? | 你是活在一个诚实的人生中吗? |
[23:00] | -Objection. -Sustained. | -反对 -反对有效 |
[23:02] | Are you receiving psychiatric treatment, Officer? | 你正在接受心理治疗,是吗? |
[23:04] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:06] | Does one of the issues for which you are receiving treatment | 你是因为哪一个问题而去接受心理治疗的 |
[23:09] | concern your ability to be truthful? | 关于你讲出真话的能力吗? |
[23:11] | Objection. | 反对 |
[23:13] | Overruled. | 反对被驳回 |
[23:15] | It’s beyond the scope– | 这越界了。。。 |
[23:17] | I’ll allow it. | 我允许问这个问题 |
[23:20] | Do you have trouble being truthful? | 你在讲出真话方面有困难吗? |
[23:25] | I’ll repeat the question, sir. | 先生,我会再重复一次这个问题 |
[23:26] | Do you have trouble being truthful? | 你在讲出真话方面有困难吗? |
[23:29] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:31] | In fact, you lie every day, don’t you, Officer? | 实际上,你每天都在撒谎,不是吗,先生? |
[23:34] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:36] | One of the reasons you sought psychiatric treatment | 你寻求精神治疗的原因之一 |
[23:39] | is you were afraid your lying caused you such stress | 就是你担心谎言给你制造过大的压力 |
[23:42] | that it, perhaps, started to affect your job. | 那可能开始对你的工作造成影响了 |
[23:45] | Isn’t that right, Officer? | 警官,不对吗? |
[23:49] | Did you not hear the question, sir? I can repeat it. | 先生,你听到这个问题了吗?我可以再重复一次的 |
[23:50] | I heard the question. | 我听到了 |
[23:55] | The answer is yes. | 回答是:是的 |
[23:58] | Thank you, Officer. I have nothing further. | 谢谢你,警官,我没有别的问题了 |
[24:14] | Mr. Beluti, I’m not interested. | Beluti先生,别来烦我了 |
[24:17] | Your Honor, one second he’s about to get six months, | 法官大人,刚刚他才是判六个月 |
[24:21] | now he’ll do two years? You know that isn’t right. | 现在要被判两年?您知道这样不对的 |
[24:24] | Well, maybe next time that will mitigate your amusement when– | 好了,也许下一次你不会那么开心了。。。 |
[24:26] | I apologize. | 我诚心道歉 |
[24:28] | Apology accepted, but the sentence stands. | 我接受你的道歉,但是判决有效 |
[24:33] | It’s one thing to exercise discretion. | 行使自由裁量权是一回事 |
[24:36] | It’s another to flaunt your ego, and this– | 而自负的炫耀是另一回事,而且这个。。。 |
[24:39] | Mr. Berluti, you are two seconds from contempt. | Berluti先生,你再说两秒钟就算藐视法官了 |
[24:42] | And before you go skulking out of here, | 在你灰头土脸出去之前 |
[24:44] | thinking of me as the bad judge, | 把我当成一个坏法官好了 |
[24:46] | keep in mind that I was about to help your client, | 但你给我记住,我是要帮助你的当事人的 |
[24:51] | not only with a lesser sentence, | 不仅仅是减刑 |
[24:53] | but also with some advice that could help his life. | 而是给他一些能帮助他生活的建议 |
[24:56] | Now, you defense attorneys get them off. | 现今你们这些个辩护律师把他们弄出去 |
[24:58] | What do they do? | 他们会干什么? |
[25:00] | They go right back out and commit another crime. | 他们马上就不遵守诺言,去再次犯罪 |
[25:03] | I try to reach them, and I do. | 我试图向你的当事人伸出援手,我也这么做了 |
[25:06] | I tried to reach your client, | 我试图向你的当事人伸出援手 |
[25:08] | to offer his life some direction | 给他提供一些人生的指导 |
[25:10] | like I have with so many before him, | 就如同在此之前多次做过的那样 |
[25:13] | and he laughed, | 而他却发笑了 |
[25:14] | as did his attorney. | 他的律师也笑了 |
[25:17] | Maybe it’s your ego that needs adjustment. | 也许你的自负需要调整一下吧 |
[25:29] | I laughed because I’ve heard the Ray Charles story | 我笑是因为我跟您面前的所有律师们一样 |
[25:32] | a zillion times, | 无数次地 |
[25:34] | as have all the lawyers who appear before you. | 听过Ray Charles的故事 |
[25:36] | We all tell our clients it’s funny. | 我们都告诉自己的当事人这很有趣 |
[25:38] | We all tell them not to laugh. | 我们也都告诉他们千万别笑 |
[25:40] | We’re all afraid they might laugh | 我们都怕他们会笑出来 |
[25:43] | because it’s so ridiculous. | 因为那故事太荒谬了 |
[25:51] | It’s a joke, Your Honor. | 是个笑柄,法官大人 |
[25:53] | Poor, black, blind. | 可怜的,黑肤色,瞎子 |
[25:56] | “This man had a name, son.” | “孩子,这个人有个名字” |
[25:58] | It’s paternalistic, insulting, | 这是家长式的侮辱 |
[26:02] | and all the lawyers laugh at you. | 所有的律师都在笑你 |
[26:05] | I just made the mistake of doing it in the room. | 我只是一时疏忽,当庭笑了出来 |
[26:08] | If that buys me a jail cell for contempt, | 如果这会让我因为藐视法官而被判入狱 |
[26:11] | so be it, | 那就来吧 |
[26:13] | but that’s what’s going on. | 但是,事情是这样的 |
[26:15] | You’re naive to think you reach defendants, | 你天真到以为你向被告伸出了援手 |
[26:18] | and if you punish them out of anger, | 而如果你因为愤怒就去惩罚他们的话 |
[26:21] | you’re also a bad judge. | 那你也是一个坏法官 |
[26:28] | Mr. Berluti, I will ask you once again | Berluti先生,我再一次要求你 |
[26:32] | to leave my chambers. | 离开我的办公室 |
[26:39] | I’m filing a motion for reconsideration anyway, | 即使我不能阻止你去 |
[26:43] | even though I can’t stop you | 做你要做的事 |
[26:45] | from doing what you’re going to do. | 但无论如何,我要提出复议申请。 |
[26:55] | (door closes) | |
[26:58] | You said you would protect me! | 你说了要保护我的! |
[27:00] | Everything he asked was arguably within the proper scope. | 他所问的一切都在适当的范围内 |
[27:02] | I tried to shut him down– | 我努力要使他停止。。。 |
[27:03] | You said you would protect me! | 你说了你会保护我的! |
[27:06] | Well, I couldn’t! | 好吧,我没做到 |
[27:08] | Listen, Eugene Young is a very smart lawyer. | 听着,Eugene Young是个很聪明的律师 |
[27:11] | He doesn’t want the jury to know that you’re gay | 他不想让陪审团知道你是个同性恋 |
[27:14] | or what the lie is actually about. | 或者谎言到底是关于哪些方面的 |
[27:16] | He knows the jury would just dismiss it as irrelevant. | 他知道陪审团会认为无关而忽略这些 |
[27:21] | Look, I’d like to introduce what you’re untruthful about. | 听着,我打算说出来你在哪些事上不诚实了 |
[27:26] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? |
[27:28] | Paul, if we don’t fill in some of the blanks | Paul,如果我们不能针对陪审团的疑虑 |
[27:31] | for the jury, | 做些解释 |
[27:33] | your credibility is shot with them. | 你的可信度会因此受到质疑 |
[27:35] | If we tell them what Eugene is talking about, | 如果我们告诉他们Eugene指的是什么的话 |
[27:38] | they’ll know you’re not dishonest. | 陪审团会明白你并非不诚实 |
[27:40] | And my family will know I’m gay, | 但我的家人会知道我是个同性恋 |
[27:42] | my partners will know, my life, my career– | 我的搭档也会知道,我的生活,我的事业。。。 |
[27:45] | You’re basically the only witness we have. | 你基本就是我们唯一的证人 |
[27:48] | If we don’t re-establish your credibility, | 如果我们不能重建你的可信度 |
[27:50] | I can’t convict here. | 我们就无法成功定罪 |
[27:55] | Paul, the guy shot and killed a woman. | Paul,这家伙枪杀了一个女人 |
[28:00] | No. | 不行 |
[28:04] | I can’t do what you’re asking me to do. | 你要我做的,我做不到 |
[28:05] | Well, I don’t need your consent, really. | 那好吧,我实际上也不需要征得你的同意 |
[28:08] | I’ll figure out a way to get it on redirect | 如果我不得已的话 |
[28:10] | if I have to. | 我会在再次直接质询中想办法达到目的 |
[28:13] | You’re gonna out me, Miss Campbell? | Campbell小姐,你是要揭穿我的同性恋身份吗? |
[28:15] | I don’t know if I have a choice. | 我不知道我是否有别的选择 |
[28:16] | Yeah, you do have a choice, and so do I. | 好吧,你可以有选择。而我也有 |
[28:19] | If you– | 如果你。。。 |
[28:21] | I’ll recant. I’ll say it wasn’t the defendant | 我会改变证词,我会说当晚我看到的 |
[28:23] | I saw that night. | 不是被告 |
[28:25] | No, you won’t, Paul. You’re an honest man. | 不行,你不能这样做,Paul,你是个诚实的人 |
[28:27] | No, I think Mr. Young established quite clearly | 不,我不是 |
[28:30] | that I’m not. | 我想Young先生已经对此证实得很清楚了 |
[28:31] | If you commit perjury, | 如果你做伪证 |
[28:33] | your life and career truly might be over. | 你的生活和职业真的可能就终结了 |
[28:35] | I’ll make my life decisions. | 我会为我的生活做出决定 |
[28:39] | And I’ll make mine. | 那么我也做我的决定 |
[29:00] | And I would submit to the court | 我恳请法庭 |
[29:02] | given all the circumstances | 全面考虑本案情况 |
[29:03] | and especially that the commonwealth | 尤其是州检 |
[29:05] | and the defense have submitted a joint recommendation– | 和被告方联名提交的建议书。。。 |
[29:08] | That’s all it is, Mr. Berluti– | 仅此而已,Berluti先生。。。 |
[29:11] | A recommendation | 一个建议书 |
[29:13] | either for the judge to accept or reject. | 让法官选择接受还是拒绝 |
[29:16] | I have chosen to reject it, | 我选择拒绝 |
[29:18] | and I find myself very annoyed | 而且你没有什么新鲜主张就回到庭上 |
[29:20] | that you are back before this bench with nothing new. | 我觉得我自己对此很恼火 |
[29:24] | If you have nothing new to tell me, | 如果你没有什么新鲜主张告诉我的话 |
[29:26] | this hearing is over. | 这个听证会就此结束 |
[29:28] | What’s new, in addition to appearing | 新鲜的主张就是,除了作为 |
[29:31] | as counsel for the defendant, | 一名辩护律师出庭外 |
[29:33] | I am here as an officer of this court. | 我还是一名法庭人员 |
[29:35] | I am standing up for the integrity of this room. | 我站出来维护这个法庭的正直性 |
[29:38] | You were prepared to issue one sentence, | 你准备好要宣布一个裁决 |
[29:41] | then gave another because you got angry. | 最后你因为愤怒而宣布了另一个 |
[29:43] | You’re entitled to belittle yourself as a man | 不管是作为一个普通人还是作为一个法官 |
[29:46] | and as a judge, | 你有权轻视你自己。 |
[29:47] | but when you belittle this room | 但当你滥用你的自行裁量权 |
[29:49] | by abusing your discretion, | 而轻视这个法庭时 |
[29:51] | I’m entitled to have something to say about it. | 我也有权对此发表意见 |
[29:55] | Is that all? | 说完了吗? |
[30:01] | No, sir, it is not. | 没有,先生,还没有说完 |
[30:05] | I want to speak to you, | 我想跟你谈谈 |
[30:08] | not simply as a lawyer, but as a friend. | 不仅仅作为一个律师,而且是是作为一个朋友 |
[30:12] | There was this judge. | 曾有一个法官 |
[30:15] | She wasn’t very judge-like at all. | 她一点也不像一个法官 |
[30:17] | She had terrible manners. | 她举止粗俗 |
[30:20] | She rambled on the bench. | 她在法官席上长篇大论 |
[30:22] | She had a big mouth, | 她多嘴多舌 |
[30:24] | and she was obnoxious, | 而且她令人生厌 |
[30:26] | and she had an ego. | 但她却很自负 |
[30:29] | Lord, she had an ego | 主啊,她和你一样 |
[30:30] | just like you, Your Honor. | 自负,法官大人 |
[30:32] | She also had a gift. | 但她也有一个天赋 |
[30:34] | She had the voice of a crow, | 她有一副乌鸦嗓子 |
[30:36] | and she beat her monkey. | 她驱散了她的心魔 |
[30:40] | She relished being obnoxious. | 她从被人厌恶中得到享受 |
[30:42] | She was proud of mistreating people, | 她以虐待他人为荣 |
[30:44] | and she used her ego and her crow-like voice | 她凭着她的自负和乌鸦嗓子 |
[30:47] | to make millions of dollars, | 赚了数以百万的美金 |
[30:50] | and she had a name, Your Honor. | 她也有个名字,法官大人 |
[30:53] | Her name… | 她的名字。。。 |
[30:56] | was Judge Judy. | (美国90年代的电视法庭娱乐秀《茱迪法官》,节目很受欢迎) |
[30:58] | (stifled laughter) | |
[31:15] | Mr. Berluti, Berluti | |
[31:17] | you are in contempt of court. | 你被判藐视法庭 |
[31:21] | Bailiff, take him into custody. | 法警,将其收押 |
[31:29] | Officer, how many times have you testified | 警官,你在刑事诉讼案中 |
[31:31] | in criminal proceedings? | 做过多少次证? |
[31:33] | Probably over 40. | 可能超过40次 |
[31:35] | Have you ever been accused of perjury? | 你曾被指控做伪证吗? |
[31:36] | No. | 没有 |
[31:38] | Ever had a case of yours thrown out | 曾因为你的证词不可靠 |
[31:39] | because of unreliable testimony on your part? | 而导致案子被撤销吗? |
[31:41] | Not one. | 一次也没有 |
[31:44] | You also testified that you see a psychiatrist. | 你也作证说你看了心理医生 |
[31:47] | Yes. | 是的 |
[31:48] | Do your supervisors know about it? | 你的上级主管知道这事吗? |
[31:49] | My watch commander does. | 我的当值指挥官知道 |
[31:51] | Has he changed your assignments because of it? | 他因此调整过你的职责安排了吗? |
[31:53] | -Put you on desk? -No. | -让你做些文案工作? -没有 |
[31:55] | You admitted to Mr. Young that you lie almost every day. | 你向Young承认你每天都在撒谎 |
[31:57] | About a personal matter, yes. | 是的,因为私人问题 |
[32:01] | Did it affect your work on this particular case? | 对你在本案中的的工作有影响吗? |
[32:04] | No. | 没有 |
[32:05] | Did you lie about what happened | 关于在Tasha Cooper被杀的那晚所发生的事 |
[32:07] | the night Tasha Cooper was killed? | 你撒了谎吗? |
[32:08] | No, I did not. | 不,我没有 |
[32:10] | Have you ever lied in your capacity | 你曾在有关你作为一个警官 |
[32:12] | as a police officer? | 的职责中撒过慌吗? |
[32:13] | No, I have not. | 不,我没有撒过慌 |
[32:16] | When it comes to making observations, | 当涉及到巡视 |
[32:18] | making arrests, | 拘捕 |
[32:19] | giving testimony about those arrests, | 并对这些拘捕提供证词时 |
[32:21] | do you consider yourself to be a truthful person? | 你认为你自己是个诚实的人吗? |
[32:25] | Yes, I do. | 是的,我是 |
[32:44] | Who was the man | 你当晚看到逃离房子 |
[32:46] | you saw fleeing the house that night? | 的人是谁? |
[32:49] | That man there– The defendant. | 就在那里,被告 |
[33:00] | Thank you, Officer. | 谢谢你,警官 |
[33:04] | I have nothing further. | 我没别的要问了 |
[33:19] | It’s a setback. I won’t kid you. | 是一个挫折,我不想骗你 |
[33:22] | Is this judge going to go against us? | 这法官是要和我们作对吗? |
[33:25] | No, she’s extremely fair. | 不是,她非常公平 |
[33:26] | She won’t do us any favors, | 她不会给我们任何照顾 |
[33:28] | but this case won’t be decided by her. | 但是这个案子并不取决于她 |
[33:31] | This time you will have to testify. | 这次你必须要出庭作证了 |
[33:35] | -I’m ready. -I can handle all the witnesses. | -我准备好了 -我会搞定所有控方证人的 |
[33:37] | We’re in good shape there, but that videotape | 我们的局面不错,但是,那段录像 |
[33:40] | and your response to it on the stand– | 还有你在证人席上对此的回应。。。 |
[33:42] | That’s what will decide this case. | 将决定这个案子的成败 |
[33:44] | Well, I have better focus now, Bobby. | 那好,我现在有更好的关注焦点,Bobby. |
[33:46] | I mean, before I was still in grief, you know? | 我是说,你知道的,之前我一直很悲伤 |
[33:49] | I couldn’t believe she was gone. | 我不相信她永远离开我了 |
[33:52] | But now when I think of what she did– | 而现在,我一想到她。。。 |
[33:57] | I mean, killing herself right after we had a fight– | 在我们吵过一架后她就自杀。。。 |
[34:01] | I mean, that was an angry act, Bobby. | 我是说,那是件让人上火的事,Bobby |
[34:04] | I mean, that wasn’t depression. | 那可不是抑郁症 |
[34:06] | She was doing it to me. | 她就是冲着我做的 |
[34:08] | That was hateful, | 真是可恶 |
[34:10] | and right now I hate her. | 此时此刻,我恨她 |
[34:12] | Scott. Scott。 | |
[34:14] | I hate her, and I’m not going to lie | 我恨她,而我将不再 |
[34:16] | in some wallow any longer. | 沉溺于此 |
[34:18] | Everything is easier now being angry at her. | 对她的怨恨让所有事情都变得简单了 |
[34:22] | I have my focus back. | 我的关注焦点恢复了 |
[34:25] | I hate her. | 我恨她 |
[34:38] | One eyewitness who sees a man at night from the side | 一个目击证人在夜晚看见从侧门出来 |
[34:42] | running away from him. | 朝背离他的方向跑开 |
[34:44] | Could he describe him? | 他能把他描述清楚吗? |
[34:45] | Black, medium build. | 黑人,中等身材 |
[34:48] | No clothes, no distinguishing characteristics– | 没看到穿着,没有明显的特征 |
[34:50] | Just black, medium build. | 只是中等身材的黑人 |
[34:52] | A black man in the dark running away | 一个在黑暗中跑开的黑人 |
[34:55] | three, four seconds, | 三秒,或者四秒 |
[34:56] | but he got a good look. | 但是他居然能看的很清楚 |
[34:59] | Now, we all know what happened here. | 现在,我们都知道发生了什么 |
[35:01] | That man saw somebody running. He then sees the wife dead, | 警察看到某个人跑了,他发现女主人死了 |
[35:04] | figures it must have been the husband | 从而推测他所看见的从门口跑掉的 |
[35:06] | he saw going out the door. | 应该是她的丈夫 |
[35:07] | He then picks the husband out of a lineup, | 随后他从指认队列中把其丈夫选了出来 |
[35:10] | but that was easy | 那很容易 |
[35:12] | because he had met the husband before. | 因为他之前见过这个丈夫 |
[35:15] | No weapon, no gunshot residue on my client’s hands, | 没有找到凶器,我的当事人手上也没有发现开枪残留物 |
[35:19] | nothing to suggest he had even held a gun, | 甚至没有任何证据表明他拿过枪 |
[35:22] | much less fired one. | 更不用说开枪了 |
[35:24] | That police officer made a guess, | 那个警官做了一个猜测 |
[35:26] | and he’s sticking by his hunch. | 而他却凭他的直觉坚持这个猜测 |
[35:28] | That’s what this is, and we all know it. | 那就是实际情况,我们都知道的 |
[35:30] | One three-second I.D. in the dark by a self-confessed liar– | 来自一个自认说谎的人在黑暗中三秒钟的辨识。。。 |
[35:34] | That isn’t proof. | 那不是证据 |
[35:37] | Their whole case comes down to the say-so | 他们的整个案子归根到底 |
[35:40] | of a man receiving psychiatric treatment | 就是一个因其不能说出真话而导致压力 |
[35:42] | to deal with stress caused by his inability | 从而正在接受心理治疗的人 |
[35:46] | to tell the truth. | 的毫无根据的陈述。 |
[35:50] | Do I really need to stand here | 我难道真有必要站在这里 |
[35:52] | and tell you there’s reasonable doubt? | 跟你们讲这是合理怀疑吗? |
[35:56] | No other prints, | 没有指纹 |
[35:58] | no DNA, no physical or testimonial evidence | 没有DNA,没有实物或证词证据 |
[36:03] | to even suggest that anyone else was in that house that night. | 能甚至暗示当晚还有别人在现场 |
[36:06] | No other cars in the area. | 那片区域没别的车辆 |
[36:09] | The intruder fled on foot. | 侵入者是步行逃跑的 |
[36:12] | It was that man fleeing the house. | 这就是那个逃离房子的人 |
[36:15] | Officer Brewer saw him. | Brewer警官看到了他 |
[36:17] | He was unequivocal in that. | 他说的很清楚 |
[36:19] | The defendant, Brian Grant, | 被告,Brian Grant |
[36:21] | was the man he saw leave that house. | 就是他看见的那个离开房子的人 |
[36:23] | Defense has offered neither evidence nor testimony | 辩护方没有提供证据和证词 |
[36:26] | to shake that I. D. | 来质疑那个指认 |
[36:28] | All Mr. Young could seize upon was some psychiatric treatment | Young能利用的就是Brewer警官 |
[36:32] | that Officer Brewer is undergoing | 因为个人原因而接受的 |
[36:33] | for a personal matter. | 一些心理治疗 |
[36:36] | Yes, he lies about something in his personal life. | 确实,他对一些有关他个人生活上的事撒了谎 |
[36:39] | Big deal. We get that. | 多大的事呀?我们明白的 |
[36:41] | But he doesn’t lie as a police officer. | 但是他作为一名警官并没有撒谎 |
[36:44] | It doesn’t make him an unreliable witness. | 这并不能使他成为不可靠的证人。 |
[36:47] | In fact, in 21 years, | 而事实上,在21年间 |
[36:50] | Officer Brewer has had an exemplary record of honesty | Brewer警官在警察队伍中 |
[36:52] | on the force. | 有着模范性的诚信记录 |
[36:54] | He’s never given untruthful testimony. | 他从未作过不真实的证词 |
[36:57] | He’s never been a false witness. | 他从来都不是做伪证人 |
[36:59] | His honor has been beyond reproach, | 他的荣誉是无可非议的 |
[37:02] | just as his testimony is here when he tells you | 就像他告诉你的证词一样 |
[37:06] | that’s the man he saw leave that house. | 那就是他看到离开那所房子的人 |
[37:10] | You haven’t heard one word | 你们没有听到过任何 |
[37:12] | suggesting that anyone else committed this murder. | 可能是别的人实施了谋杀 |
[37:15] | Gee, I wonder why. | 我想知道是为什么 |
[37:19] | He’s home alone with his wife. | 他和他妻子单独呆在家里 |
[37:21] | He shot her. | 他枪杀了她 |
[37:23] | He’s seen running out. | 他逃跑被人看到 |
[37:26] | That’s why we’re here. | 这就是为什么我们会在这里 |
[37:40] | Go. | 走开 |
[37:45] | The only reason I don’t keep you overnight | 我不打算让你为那严重的无礼 |
[37:48] | for what I deem to be criminal disrespect… | 而在这里呆上一整晚的唯一原因是。。。 |
[38:05] | How long have they been laughing at me? | 他们嘲笑我多久了? |
[38:09] | Long time. | 很久 |
[38:15] | How long you been telling that Ray Charles story? | 你讲Ray Charles的故事有多久了? |
[38:20] | At least I try to do something. | 至少我努力去做些事 |
[38:22] | I care, at least. | 至少我很在乎 |
[38:24] | Most judges… | 大多数法官。。。 |
[38:34] | Tell your client I’ll give him six months. | 告诉你的当事人,我会判他六个月 |
[38:37] | Beat it. | 滚吧 |
[38:40] | That’s it? | 就这样? |
[38:42] | You want a story first, Counsel? | 你想先讲个故事吗,律师? |
[38:47] | No. | 我可不想 |
[38:50] | Just go. | 那就走吧 |
[39:13] | Came back kind of fast. | 这么快回来了 |
[39:17] | That mean anything? | 意味着啥呀? |
[39:19] | Usually it means it was a quick decision. | 通常意味着是一个快速决议 |
[39:23] | Mr. Grant, the court will ask you to stand, please. | Grant先生,请起立 |
[39:30] | Mr. Foreman, has the jury reached a verdict? | 陪审团主席先生,陪审团有裁决了吗? |
[39:32] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人 |
[39:33] | What say you? | 请宣布 |
[39:34] | Commonwealth v. Brian Grant, | 关于马萨诸塞州对Brian Grant |
[39:36] | on the charge of murder in the first degree, | 的一级谋杀罪指控 |
[39:38] | we find the defendant Brian Grant not guilty. | 我们裁决被告Brian Grant,无罪 |
[39:43] | On the charge of murder in the second degree, | 关于二级谋杀罪名的指控 |
[39:46] | we find the defendant Brian Grant… | 我们裁决被告Brian Grant |
[39:49] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[39:54] | Members of the jury, your service is completed, | 陪审团成员,你们完成了任务 |
[39:56] | and we thank you. | 感谢你们 |
[39:58] | The defendant is free to go, and we are adjourned. | 被告当庭开释,休庭 |
[40:02] | (gavel pounds) | |
[40:03] | Wow. | 哇 |
[40:05] | Thanks, man. | 谢谢你,伙计 |
[40:07] | Sure. | 不客气 |
[40:08] | Innocent till proven guilty. | 无罪推定 |
[40:10] | The motto lives. | 这格言挺管用哈 |
[40:12] | See you next time. | 下次见 |
[40:14] | Good one. | 好的 |
[40:24] | I’m sorry we didn’t get him. | 很抱歉我们没有给他定罪 |
[40:26] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[40:27] | Did our best. | 我们尽力了 |
[40:29] | Miss Gamble? | Gamble小姐? |
[40:32] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[40:35] | I wish you well, Paul. | 祝你一切顺利,Paul |
[40:37] | You, too. | 也祝你一切顺利 |
[40:55] | I really appreciate you coming in with your client. | 我真的很感谢你和你的当事人一起来这里 |
[40:58] | It’s against my better judgment. | 我并不情愿这样 |
[41:00] | I totally understand. | 我完全理解 |
[41:02] | It’s just, lawyer to lawyer, | 仅仅是,律师之间 |
[41:04] | you’re aware that Helen Gamble | 你是知道的,Helen Gamble |
[41:06] | believes your client committed perjury | 确信你的当事人在第一次庭审中 |
[41:08] | in the first trial. | 做了伪证 |
[41:09] | Ms. Gamble was mistaken. | Gamble女士是错的 |
[41:11] | Yes, well, I don’t believe she was. | 我不相信她是错的 |
[41:13] | Mr. Donnell, I’m confused as to the agenda here. | Donnell,我对这里的议题感到困惑 |
[41:15] | -Certainly we can– -The agenda is this. | -我们当然可以。。。 -议题是 |
[41:16] | I’m putting you on notice. | 我通知你 |
[41:18] | If your client takes the stand again and lies, | 如果你的当事人再次作证撒谎 |
[41:21] | I’ll be taking his house. | 我会抄了他的家 |
[41:23] | -Bobby? -Tell him, Mr. Stone. -Bobby? | -跟他说,Stone先生 |
[41:25] | Tell him the exposure he faces– | 告诉他面临被揭发。。。 |
[41:27] | Abuse of process, false imprisonment. | 滥用诉讼权,非法监禁 |
[41:30] | I don’t know what you think you’re doing. | 我不知道你这样干是怎么想的? |
[41:32] | If he lies again, I’ll be filing a complaint | 如果他再撒谎,我会针对你教唆伪证 |
[41:34] | against you for suborning perjury. | 而提起投诉 |
[41:36] | I’m reporting this to the district attorney’s office. | 我要把这些报告给地检办公室 |
[41:38] | You do that, but in the meantime, | 你可以那么做,但同时 |
[41:40] | get around to giving your client some legal advice. | 抽时间给你的当事人一点法律建议吧 |
[41:42] | Come on, Kyle. | 走吧,Kyle |
[41:47] | Tell him what I’ll do to him, Mr. Stone. | 告诉他我会对他做些什么,Stone先生 |
[41:51] | Tell him. | 告诉他 |
[41:54] | You just crossed the line, Mr. Donnell. | 你越界了,Donnell先生 |
[41:56] | We’re just two lawyers talking, Mr. Stone– | 我们只是律师间的谈话,Stone先生。。。 |
[42:00] | Just you and me. | 你有你和我 |
[42:08] | What the hell do you call that? | 见鬼,你那算什么? |
[42:09] | I call it intimidating a lead witness | 我把那称之为 |
[42:11] | for the prosecution. | 恐吓控方证人 |
[42:13] | I got to keep that lying bastard | 我得让那个撒谎的混蛋 |
[42:15] | out of the witness chair. | 离开证人席 |
[42:17] | You’ve got a lawyer in there | 有个律师在那儿 |
[42:19] | who just threatened my client. | 刚刚威胁了我的当事人 |
[42:21] | Really? With you there? | 是吗?你也在场吗? |
[42:25] | Call the police. | 那就报警去吧 |
[42:34] | Come in. | 请进 |
[42:41] | I came to congratulate you. | 我来祝贺你 |
[42:43] | And I get a personal visit for that? | 我因此得到一次私人拜访? |
[42:47] | That, and the police just got into a shootout | 警察刚刚遭遇了一场枪战 |
[42:51] | with the man who fired back | 对方向警察开火还击 |
[42:54] | with the gun used to kill Tasha Cooper. | 用的是杀死Tasha Cooper的那把枪 |
[42:56] | He matched the description of the suspect | 他也和Brewer警官描述的 |
[42:59] | Officer Brewer saw running, | 那个逃跑的嫌犯吻合 |
[43:01] | and he also confessed to the crime. | 而他也承认了那起犯罪 |
[43:06] | I know you didn’t care if your client was guilty. | 虽然我知道你并不关心你的当事人是否有罪 |
[43:10] | I thought you might be interested to know | 但我想你也许有兴趣知道 |
[43:14] | he was innocent. | 他是无辜的 |
[44:06] | You stinker! |