时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | LINDSAY DOLE: Previously on “The Practice”… | (前集回顾未作翻译) |
[00:03] | If I could have figured out a way to dismember them alive, | |
[00:05] | I would have done so. | |
[00:07] | All nine victims had dogs. Mr. Hinks met all of them | |
[00:10] | in various parks and streets while walking his dog. | |
[00:14] | My opinion is Mr. Hinks is suffering from delusions. | |
[00:17] | Basically, he thinks he killed those women. | |
[00:19] | He did not. | |
[00:20] | Your honor, I seek to discharge counsel. | |
[00:23] | She is soliciting false testimony from this witness. | |
[00:25] | Your doctors discovered you’re delusional. | |
[00:27] | You’re just an anonymous little man who had nothing — | |
[00:29] | I killed those women. I did it! | |
[00:32] | Mr. Hinks needed this therapist to sell you, | |
[00:35] | and in order to keep her convinced enough, | |
[00:38] | he had to keep insisting that he did it, | |
[00:41] | all the while needing a lawyer who would say otherwise | |
[00:45] | over his feigned protests. | |
[00:47] | His closing was good, wasn’t it? | |
[00:49] | He kind of sold me. | |
[00:50] | Did you know I planned to yank the insanity plea | |
[00:53] | and go straight not guilty? | |
[00:56] | I had a pretty good idea. | |
[00:58] | We find the defendant William Hinks… | |
[01:01] | not guilty. | |
[01:03] | (gallery reacts loudly) | |
[01:07] | You’re about to lose your job. | |
[01:09] | Now you’re hit with losing your wife. | |
[01:11] | You weren’t going to let that happen, were you, Mr. Wallace? | |
[01:13] | -You snapped. -But that’s not the way it happened — | |
[01:15] | -You killed your wife — -I did not! | |
[01:16] | Did you kill your wife? | |
[01:18] | No. | |
[01:20] | We find the defendant Scott Wallace not guilty. | |
[01:27] | What’s the concern? | 你担心什么? |
[01:29] | Well, if you plan to take a full maternity, | 如果你打算休满产假 |
[01:31] | which you know I’m required by law | 你知道那样的话,法律要求我 |
[01:32] | not only to support but applaud, | 不仅要支持,还得给你点赞 |
[01:34] | I’d just like to — | 我只是想。。。 |
[01:35] | Well, is Lindsay? | 好吧,那Lindsay呢? |
[01:37] | Probably, yes, which means if you also plan to, | 可能也要休满,这意味着如果你也打算这样的话 |
[01:39] | I got to think about hiring. | 我必须要考虑雇人了 |
[01:40] | No, we ordered 2-inch. | 部队,我们订购的是2英寸的 |
[01:43] | Okay, well, I’m measuring them at 1 1/2, so… | 行吧,我们量的是1.5英寸,所以。。。 |
[01:47] | Francis Lupino. I got to see Bobby. | Francis Lupino,我要见Bobby。 |
[01:51] | Okay, one sec. | 好,等一下。 |
[01:52] | It’s urgent. | 是急事。 |
[01:56] | Mm-hmm. Okay — | 嗯,唔,好吧。。。 |
[01:58] | (hangs up telephone) | |
[01:59] | I gotta see Bobby. It’s important. | 我要见Bobby,很重要的事 |
[02:06] | Francis? Francis? | |
[02:08] | Cops came to my house, | 警察到我家了 |
[02:12] | and yesterday there was this car. | 昨天,有辆车 |
[02:14] | It was following me. | 跟着我 |
[02:16] | I think I’m taking a surveillance. | 我觉得我被盯梢了 |
[02:20] | Okay, look– | 好吧,听着。。。 |
[02:22] | It’s not okay. | 这才不好呢 |
[02:25] | I need your advice, counselor. | 我需要你的建议,律师 |
[02:27] | You been watching the news? | 你看新闻了吗? |
[02:31] | The kidnapping? That little girl? | 绑架?小女孩? |
[02:33] | The Engel girl? | Engel的女儿? |
[02:35] | Trevor Engel’s kid? | Trevor Engel的孩子? |
[02:37] | The ransom? That little girl? | 索要赎金的?那个小女孩? |
[02:42] | I know something about it. | 对那事我知道一些情况。 |
[02:47] | What do you know? | 你知道些什么? |
[02:51] | I know where she is. | 我知道她在哪儿 |
[02:58] | Where? | 在哪儿? |
[03:02] | Locked up. | 被关起来了 |
[03:04] | Is she alive? | 还活着吗? |
[03:10] | Should be. | 应该是 |
[03:16] | Okay. Look, I can go to the FBI. | 好吧,听着,我能去找联邦调查局 |
[03:19] | You won’t have to contact them yourself — | 你不必自己亲自出面。。。 |
[03:21] | You keep my name out of it, right? | 你可以不透露我的身份,对吗? |
[03:23] | -I can’t promise that — -No, you promise that. | -我不敢保证 -不行,你要保证 |
[03:25] | That is what I’m in here for. | 那就是我来这儿的目的 |
[03:26] | Francis, you can’t blow in here and tell me this | Francis,你不能突然跑到这跟我讲这些 |
[03:28] | and start tearing into me, you got that? | 然后开始责备我,你听明白了吗? |
[03:41] | What if I bring you to where she is… | 如果我带你去关她的地方。。。 |
[03:46] | let you take over from there? | 让你从那里开始接手,怎么样? |
[04:46] | You can’t go with him. | 你不能跟他去 |
[04:48] | I know, but this is a little kid. | 我明白,但这是一个小孩子 |
[04:50] | What am I supposed to do? | 我该怎么办? |
[04:51] | This is not what lawyers do. | 这不是律师该做的事 |
[04:53] | Best case, you’re a witness against your own client. | 最好的情况,你成为一个对你当事人不利的证人 |
[04:55] | Worse case, the cops see you two together, | 最坏情况下,警察看到你俩在一起 |
[04:57] | they arrest you on conspiracy. | 他们会以共谋罪逮捕你 |
[04:58] | Eugene, she could be alive. | Eugene,她可能还活着呢 |
[05:01] | He won’t tell you where she is? | 他不会告你她在哪儿吗? |
[05:03] | I’ve been grilling him for 10 minutes. | 我已经逼问他十分钟了 |
[05:04] | He doesn’t want to give anything up. | 他一点也不想妥协 |
[05:06] | You know Francis. He has to be in control. | 你了解Francis的,他要掌控局面 |
[05:08] | If he won’t cooperate with you, | 如果他不跟你合作 |
[05:10] | you can withdraw and let the cops handle it. | 你可以就此退出,让警察来处理 |
[05:12] | -That’s not going to help that girl, and — -LUCY: You can’t go in there. | -那样做对那女孩没好吃,而且。。。 -你们不能进去 |
[05:14] | What’s going on? Where’s Bobby? Bobby! | 怎么回事?Bobby在哪儿?Bobby! |
[05:15] | What the hell is that? | 到底怎么回事? |
[05:16] | All right, take it easy! | 好了好了,悠着点! |
[05:17] | Mirandize him. | 给他宣读米兰达 |
[05:19] | Francis Lupino, you’re under arrest | Francis Lupino,你因绑架Alessa Engel而被捕 |
[05:21] | for the kidnapping of Alessa Engel. | Francis Lupino,你因绑架Alessa Engel而被捕 |
[05:23] | What’s going on? You have no right to bust in like this. | 怎么回事?你们无权像这样突击搜捕 |
[05:25] | -You have no right to harbor a kidnapping. -Do you even have a warrant? | -你无权藏匿一个绑架嫌犯 -你有拘捕令吗? |
[05:26] | -Don’t lecture me. -Just give me 10 minutes to talk to him. | -别跟我瞎叨叨 -我十分钟我就跟他说几句 |
[05:28] | Talk to him at the arraignment. Let’s go. | 传讯的时候跟他说吧,我们走 |
[05:30] | Richard! Don’t say anything, Francis. | Richard!什么也别说,Francis。 |
[05:31] | I’ll meet you at the courthouse. | 我会在法院见你 |
[05:32] | Do not say a word! | 一个字也别说! |
[05:34] | -Bobby. -Scott? | |
[05:35] | -Can I see you? -Um, I’m actually — | -你有空吗? -呃,我现在。。。 |
[05:38] | -They fired me. -What? Who? | -他们把我解雇了 -什么?谁? |
[05:39] | Harry Duvall. | Harry Duvall |
[05:41] | Bobby, they’ll arraign him as soon as he gets there. | Bobby,他一到那里就会接受传讯 |
[05:43] | -Scott, can we talk later? -I’ve been there for 18 years — | -Scott,我们稍后再谈可以吗? -我在哪儿干了十八年。。。 |
[05:45] | Hold on a second. | 等一下 |
[05:46] | I want you to talk to one of my partners. | 我想让你和我的一个合伙人谈谈 |
[05:48] | I need you. | 我要你 |
[05:49] | Scott, I have an emergency. Go in the conference room. | Scott,我有急事,你先去会议室 |
[05:51] | A partner will be right with you. | 一个合伙人马上就来 |
[05:55] | Ellenor, Jimmy, | Ellenor, Jimmy, |
[05:57] | deal with Scott, whatever he needs. Ready? | 不管他需要什么,处理好,行吗? |
[05:58] | Let’s go. | 我们走 |
[06:00] | Donnell, Dole, Young, and Frutt. | Donnell, Dole, Young, and Frutt事务所。。。 |
[06:02] | Lindsay, are you here for William Hinks? | Lindsay,你接William Hinks电话吗? |
[06:05] | He’s on two. | 他在二号线。 |
[06:09] | I’m not here. | 说我不在。 |
[06:11] | I’m sorry. She’s unavailable. | 抱歉,她不在 |
[06:14] | Um, can I have her get back to you? | 呃,我让她给你回电话? |
[06:17] | No, I’m not sure when she’s going to return, | 不,我不确定她什么时候回来 |
[06:19] | but, you know, the best thing for you to do | 但是,你知道的,最好是 |
[06:22] | would be to leave your number, and I’ll have her call you back. | 你能留下你的电话号码,我会让她给你回电的 |
[06:26] | 555-0171? Okey-dokey. Bye. | 555-0171?好勒,再见 |
[06:38] | Don’t they have to have cause? | 他们不需要理由吗? |
[06:40] | I mean, I’m a partner, for God’s sake. | 我是说,我是一个合伙人,天呀 |
[06:42] | I mean, I wasn’t even afforded due process. | 我是说,甚至连合理的程序都没有 |
[06:45] | You were voted out by the other partners? | 你是被其他合伙人投票罢免的吗? |
[06:47] | Evidently, but they’re like sheep. | 这还用说,但他们都像绵羊一样顺从 |
[06:49] | I mean, Harry calls all the plays. | 我是说,Harry一手遮天 |
[06:51] | And the reason they gave you? | 他们给你什么理由了吗? |
[06:53] | “It’s not working out.” | “不胜任工作” |
[06:55] | After 18 years, that’s all they gave me. | 我干了十八年了,而他们给我的理由是 |
[06:58] | “It’s not working out.” | “不胜任工作” |
[07:01] | Okay, look, without having read your partnership agreement, | 听着,先不用看你的合伙人协议 |
[07:04] | if it’s anything like a law firm agreement, | 如果它类似于一个律师事务所的合伙协议的话 |
[07:06] | partners pretty much have blanket discretion. | 合伙人几乎都有全面的自由裁量权 |
[07:09] | If they don’t like you, they — | 如果他们不喜欢你,他们可以。。。 |
[07:10] | No, no, no, no. No, this just — | 不,不,不,这简直。。。 |
[07:12] | Scott — Scott。。。 | |
[07:13] | Ms. Frutt, now, let’s face it. | Frutt女士,现在我们来面对现实吧 |
[07:15] | No other brokerage firm is ever going to hire me. | 没有别的经纪公司会再雇用我 |
[07:17] | To the outside world, I am a murderer | 对于业界来说,我是一个有好律师的杀人犯 |
[07:20] | with a good lawyer. | 对于业界来说,我是一个有好律师的杀人犯 |
[07:21] | I need to keep my job here. | 我要保住我的工作 |
[07:24] | Then let us try to meet with Mr. Duvall and his attorney | 那就让我们见一下Duvall先生和他的律师 |
[07:27] | and see if we can work something out. | 看看是否找出点解决办法 |
[07:31] | Fine. | 好的 |
[07:41] | Bobby Donnell for the defendant, your honor. | Bobby Donnell为被告辩护,法官大人 |
[07:44] | Waive reading, plead not guilty. | 放弃宣读指控,以无罪答辩 |
[07:45] | Richard Bay for the Commonwealth. | Richard Bay代表马萨诸塞州 |
[07:47] | Oppose bail, ask for a finding of dangerousness. | 反对保释,具有已知的危害性 |
[07:49] | On what basis? | 危险性的依据? |
[07:51] | This was a heinous crime, your honor. | 法官大人,这是一起令人发指的犯罪。 |
[07:53] | Three days ago, the defendant kidnapped a 7-year-old girl | 三天前,被告绑架了一个七岁的女孩 |
[07:55] | and has been holding her for ransom. | 挟持其以索要赎金 |
[07:57] | She may still be alive. | 她也许还活着 |
[07:58] | I’d ask the court to inquire | 我恳请法庭调查 |
[08:00] | as to what evidence Mr. Bay has | Bay先生有什么证据 |
[08:02] | to justify arresting my client in the first place. | 在一开始就逮捕了我的当事人 |
[08:04] | The defendant is a career criminal. | 这名被告是职业罪犯 |
[08:05] | He’s spent 15 years in prison. | 他坐了15年的牢 |
[08:07] | Old news. | 陈年旧账了 |
[08:08] | His van matches one that was seen speeding away | 他的货车和一辆在Alessa Engel刚被绑架后 |
[08:10] | from the galleria parking lot | 从galleria停车场高速驶出的货车相符。 |
[08:12] | just after Alessa Engel was kidnapped. | 从galleria停车场高速驶出的货车相符。 |
[08:14] | A security video camera puts the defendant at the mall | 一个监控摄像机在女孩被绑架前十分钟 |
[08:17] | 10 minutes before the girl was taken. | 拍到了被告就在商场 |
[08:19] | Your honor, I understand the gravity of the charges, | 法官大人,我知道这个指控的严重性 |
[08:22] | but the Commonwealth has no case against my client. | 但是州政府没有理由指控我的当事人 |
[08:24] | The van could match thousands. | 这样的货车有上千辆 |
[08:26] | Shopping in a mall is not a crime, | 在商店购物也并不是犯罪 |
[08:29] | and my client’s priors are inadmissible at trial. | 而且我的当事人的犯罪前科是不能被采纳的 |
[08:31] | This is pretty thin, Mr. Bay… | 这个立案确实很勉强,Bay先生。。。 |
[08:35] | but I’ll make a preliminary finding | 但我会针对合理依据 |
[08:37] | of probable cause. | 做一些初步的调查 |
[08:39] | He’s held without bail | 将其拘押不得保释 |
[08:40] | pending a dangerousness hearing | 等三天后举行危害性听证会, |
[08:42] | three days from now. Next case. | 下一个案子 |
[08:44] | (pounds gavel) | |
[08:46] | I’ll meet you downstairs in a half-hour. | 我半小时后在楼下见你 |
[08:50] | Is the Engel girl still alive? | Engel的女孩还活着吗? |
[08:52] | Mr. Donnell, would you comment on the judge’s ruling? | Donnell先生,你对法官的裁决有何评论? |
[08:54] | No comment. No comment. | 无可奉告,无可奉告 |
[08:56] | -Mr. Donnell? -Mrs. Engel. | -Donnell先生吗? -Engel夫人 |
[08:58] | Please, Mr. Donnell. Please, just look at this. | 求你了,Donnell先生,求你了,看一眼吧 |
[09:01] | Mrs. Engel, I’m truly sorry about your daughter, but — | Engel夫人,我对你女儿的遭遇十分难过,但是。。。 |
[09:03] | Alessa — That’s her name, Mr. Donnell. | Alessa。。。这是她的名字,Donnell先生 |
[09:04] | I understand how you’re feeling. | 我理解您的心情 |
[09:06] | Bobby, let’s go. | Bobby,我们走吧 |
[09:08] | She’s in the second grade. She’s in a school play today, | 她上二年级。她今天在学校有演出, |
[09:10] | but they had to cancel it | 但因为没有她,他们不得不取消,Donnell.先生 |
[09:12] | because she’s not there, Mr. Donnell. | 但因为没有她,他们不得不取消,Donnell.先生 |
[09:13] | Please, if you know where she is… | 求你了,如果你知道她在哪里。。。 |
[09:15] | Hillary, what are you doing? | Hillary,你在干什么? |
[09:17] | We made this costume last week. We sewed it together. | 上周我们做了这套服装。我们一起缝制的。 |
[09:20] | Please, Mr. Donnell. If you know where she is… | 求你了 ,Donnell先生,如果你知道她在哪儿。。。 |
[09:29] | (telephone rings) | |
[09:34] | Who’s got your private line? | 谁有你的专线号码? |
[09:37] | Bobby. Bobby。 | |
[09:39] | Why aren’t you answering it? | 那你为什么还不接? |
[09:41] | Because… | 因为。。。 |
[09:46] | Hi. | 嗨。 |
[09:47] | HINKS: Hi. | 嗨。 |
[09:49] | Who is this? | 你是谁? |
[09:50] | It’s William. | 我是William |
[09:52] | Are you available now? | 你现在有空吗? |
[09:54] | Well, actually, I — | 那个,我现在。。。 |
[09:58] | What is this about? | 什么事? |
[10:00] | I’ve been thinking about the verdict. | 我一直在考虑判决的事 |
[10:02] | I’ve decided I want to appeal. | 我决定要上诉 |
[10:05] | You were acquitted, William. | William,你被宣判无罪呀 |
[10:07] | Yes, I’d like that overturned. | 是的,我希望这个判决被撤销 |
[10:11] | Well, I don’t handle acquittal appeals, | 我们不处理无罪判决的上诉 |
[10:13] | so you’ll have to get another lawyer for that. | 所以你得去为此另找一个律师 |
[10:15] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[10:18] | Okay, that was weird. | 真是奇怪 |
[10:22] | Where are you going? | 你要去哪儿? |
[10:24] | To see Jeannie. | 去见Jeannie |
[10:25] | I mean, this is just getting a little out of control. | 我是说,这真是有点失控了 |
[10:28] | Aah! | 啊 |
[10:29] | (gasps) | |
[10:32] | Is now not good? | 你现在不舒服吗? |
[10:36] | What do you want? | 你要干什么? |
[10:38] | I have some probate work, and you’re my attorney. | 我要做一些遗嘱认证,而你是我的律师。 |
[10:43] | I’m a criminal defense lawyer. | 我只是个刑事辩护律师 |
[10:45] | I don’t do probate. | 我不做遗嘱认证工作 |
[10:46] | What are you saying? | 你说什么? |
[10:49] | Our relationship is in jeopardy | 除非我去犯次罪,否则我们的关系就终结了吗? |
[10:51] | unless I commit a crime? | 除非我去犯次罪,否则我们的关系就终结了吗? |
[11:03] | I could have found her. | 我本可以找到她的 |
[11:05] | What are you talking about? | 你应该在念叨什么? |
[11:06] | I could have found the girl. | 我本可以找到这个女孩 |
[11:08] | -Alessa. -No, you couldn’t — -Alessa。 | -不,你不能。。。 |
[11:10] | I could have gotten him to take me to her. | 我该让他带我去找到她的 |
[11:12] | In which case you’d be locked down with Francis right now. | 那种情况下,你的行为即刻就受限于Francis(的权益) |
[11:14] | She’s alive. | 她还活着呢 |
[11:16] | Your only obligation is to Francis. | 你只能对Francis尽义务 |
[11:18] | How could you look at it that way? | 你怎么能那样看? |
[11:21] | We have to look at it that way, | 我们不得不那样看。 |
[11:24] | and I don’t need to tell you that. | 而且你自己都应该知道的。 |
[11:26] | Did you question him? | 你审问他了吗? |
[11:27] | He lawyered up immediately. | 他当即找了律师 |
[11:29] | How did that happen, Richard? | 怎么会这样,Richard? |
[11:30] | Maybe because you arrested him in his lawyer’s office? | 也许是因为你在他的律师事务所对其实施逮捕的吧? |
[11:34] | It was an emergency. He ran in there. | 当时很紧急,他跑到那里 |
[11:36] | We figured he must have made his tail. | 我们估计他一定是发现被盯稍了 |
[11:37] | What about his house? | 他住所查到了什么? |
[11:38] | We’re getting a warrant. | 我们正在申请搜查令 |
[11:39] | We’ll be searching it by the end of business. | 我们会在下班前进行搜查 |
[11:41] | We better get her back alive. | 我们最好让她活着回来 |
[11:42] | That’s all I can say, Richard. | 我能说的就这些,Richard |
[11:44] | Bobby Donnell will be here in five minutes to work out a plea. | Bobby Donnell五分钟内就会到这里来谈抗辩协议 |
[11:47] | If she’s dead… | 如果她死了。。。 |
[11:49] | would you stop with the threats | 你能停止威胁并提些策略上的建议吗? |
[11:51] | and offer some tactical advice? | 你能停止威胁并提些策略上的建议吗? |
[11:56] | You want to help me here? Give me Helen Gamble. | 你想帮我吗?让Helen Gamble协助我 |
[11:59] | I don’t want Helen. | 我不想让Helen来 |
[12:01] | She’s the best D. A. We have | 在和律师进行谈判方面 |
[12:03] | for negotiating with this firm, Kate. | 她是我们最好的地区检察官,Kate |
[12:05] | Setting aside office politics | 抛开职场权术 |
[12:06] | or recognizing your politics are best served | 或者承认让那女孩活着回来会对你最有利 |
[12:09] | by getting that girl back alive, | 或者承认让那女孩活着回来会对你最有利 |
[12:11] | give me Helen Gamble. | 让Helen Gamble来帮我 |
[12:20] | I’m unclear. | 我没听明白。 |
[12:22] | Your claim is that the discharge was unlawful? | 你们的说法是解雇违法? |
[12:24] | We’re investigating the circumstances | 我们是在调查解雇那时的具体情况 |
[12:26] | of the discharge at the moment. | 我们是在调查解雇那时的具体情况 |
[12:27] | Our hope is that we can work something out. | 我们的期望是我们能找出一些解决办法来 |
[12:30] | Look, Scott’s position was tenuous | 你看,甚至在他妻子去世之前。 |
[12:32] | even before the death of his wife. | Scott的职位都是很不稳固的 |
[12:34] | He was told that. | 这一点告诉过他了 |
[12:36] | Yes, and finally now | 是的,但现在我终于有机会提高我的业绩了 |
[12:37] | I’ve got the chance to improve on my job performance, | 没错,但现在我终于有机会提高我的业绩了 |
[12:40] | and I am being denied that chance. | 但我却被剥夺了这个机会 |
[12:42] | Scott, I’m your friend. | Scott,我是你的朋友 |
[12:43] | No, you’re not, Harry. | 不,Harry,你不是。 |
[12:44] | We don’t need — | 我们不必。。。 |
[12:45] | I thought you were my friend, | 我曾认为你是我的朋友 |
[12:47] | but as soon as I was arrested, | 但是我一被捕 |
[12:49] | I became a pariah, | 我就变成了被遗弃的贱民 |
[12:50] | and you were the first one to presume my guilt. | 而你是第一个认为我是有罪的人 |
[12:53] | That isn’t true. | 不是那样的 |
[12:54] | All right, this is not a forum to discuss your friendship. | 好了,这可不是讨论你们友情的讨论会 |
[12:57] | Ms. Frutt, we are a financial brokerage house. | Frutt女士,我们是一家金融经纪公司。 |
[13:00] | We are in the business of soliciting investors | 我们是在从事招揽投资者大量投资的业务 |
[13:02] | to put huge sums of monies, | 我们是在从事招揽投资者投入大量资金的业务 |
[13:04] | not to mention their confidence in our hands. | 更不用说他们投入了对我们的信心 |
[13:06] | That becomes enormously difficult | 但当你脑海里充斥着有一个合伙人到底是不是谋杀犯的念头时 |
[13:08] | when you’re saddled with the perception | 但当你脑海里充斥着有一个合伙人到底是不是谋杀犯的念头时 |
[13:09] | that one of the partners may or may not be a murderer. | 这事就会变得很麻烦了 |
[13:13] | I was acquitted. | 我被判无罪 |
[13:15] | You were found not guilty, | 你是被判无罪 |
[13:16] | which is hardly proof of innocence. | 但几乎没有证据表明你是清白的 |
[13:18] | The thing is, Mr. Duvall, | Duvall,问题在于。。。 |
[13:20] | fairness has to come into play here. | 这件事要按公平原则来处理 |
[13:23] | I’m aware of that. If he is innocent — | 我明白的,假如他确实是无辜的话。。。 |
[13:26] | I can’t even fathom how unfair this has been to him, | 我甚至都无法想象这样做对他是何等的不公平 |
[13:31] | but how fair is it | 但是,这对公司中其他不得不因此受损的人来说是公平的吗? |
[13:33] | to everybody else at the firm to have to suffer? | 但是,这对公司中其他不得不因此受苦的人来说是公平的吗? |
[13:36] | Couldn’t you wait and see, Harry? | 你就不能等等看吗,Harry? |
[13:38] | I mean, for God’s sake, | 我是说,看在上帝的份上, |
[13:40] | why let the facts interfere with your judgment? | 为什么要让现实情况干扰你的决断? |
[13:42] | All right, Scott, please. | 够了,Scott,别说了 |
[13:48] | Look, it would be extremely difficult | 你看,Scott目前去找别的工作 |
[13:51] | for Scott to find other employment at the moment. | 会非常困难。 |
[13:54] | It would be a lot easier if he could look | 如果他看起来还是处于在职状态的话, |
[13:57] | while he was still working at — | 那就会容易许多了。。。 |
[13:59] | I can’t do that. | 我做不到 |
[14:01] | Three months. | 三个月呢 |
[14:03] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉。 |
[14:05] | The other partners want him gone…now. | 其他的合伙人希望他走人。。。马上。 |
[14:08] | You want me gone. | 是你要让我走人的 |
[14:09] | Scott. Scott。 | |
[14:11] | Certainly, 18 years has to be worth | 十八年的工作无疑是值得换来一些同情心的 |
[14:14] | a little compassion. | 十八年的工作无疑是值得换来一些同情心的 |
[14:15] | I’ll offer him compassion, but not a position. | 我会同情他的,但不会给他一个职位。 |
[14:22] | Lindsay, he’s harmless. | Lindsay,他不会害人的 |
[14:25] | Don’t tell me he’s harmless, Jeannie. | 别跟我说他不会害人,Jeannie |
[14:27] | I mean, you don’t — | 我是说,你不知道。。。 |
[14:29] | I don’t what? | 我不知道什么? |
[14:32] | Okay, look… | 好吧,听着。。。 |
[14:35] | I’m telling you this as part of his legal team. | 作为他的律师团队的一员,我要跟你说的是 |
[14:38] | Privilege applies — | 适用于保密特权的。。。 |
[14:39] | Yeah, yeah, yeah, you’re telling me what? | 行了行了,你到底要跟我说什么? |
[14:42] | William admitted to me and Jimmy | William向我和Jimmy承认了 |
[14:44] | that he totally played you. | 他完全是在耍你 |
[14:46] | He knew he had to insist | 他知道他必须坚称自己有罪 |
[14:49] | on being guilty for you to be convinced | 才能让你相信他是个妄想狂 |
[14:51] | he was delusional. | 才能让你相信他是个妄想狂 |
[14:52] | He played me, too. | 他也把我耍了 |
[14:54] | He knew I’d revoke the insanity plea. | 他知道我会撤回用精神错乱为由的抗辩。 |
[14:56] | He played both of us. | 他把咱俩都耍了 |
[15:00] | The guy did it, Jeannie. | 是那个家伙作的案,Jeannie |
[15:03] | Lindsay, he wants you to think that. | Lindsay,他希望你这样去理解 |
[15:07] | This man will go to his grave | 这个人快死了 |
[15:09] | trying to convince people he’s the killer. | 试图让人们相信他就是杀手 |
[15:10] | No, Jeannie — | 不是的,Jeannie。。。 |
[15:12] | I’ve treated this man a long time. | 我给他治疗很久了 |
[15:14] | I heard what he told me. | 我亲耳听到他跟我讲了什么。 |
[15:15] | Lindsay, the man did not kill anybody. | Lindsay,这人没有杀过任何人 |
[15:17] | -Jeannie, he did. -HINKS: Can I vote? | -Jeannie,他杀了。 -我能发表意见吗? |
[15:20] | -Aah! -Aah! | -啊! -啊! |
[15:21] | Damn it, William. You scared me. | 见鬼,William,你吓到我了 |
[15:23] | Mr. Hinks, I asked you to leave. | Hinks先生,我请你离开 |
[15:25] | Fine. By the way, | 没问题,顺便说一下 |
[15:27] | is there a decent park near here to walk a dog? | 这附近有像样的公园可以遛狗吗? |
[15:34] | You don’t have a dog, by any chance, do you? | 可能你没有养过狗,是吗? |
[15:36] | Get out! | 出去! |
[15:38] | Lindsay. | Lindsay,别这样 |
[15:40] | Hey, if you want to treat him, fine. | 嘿,如果你想给他治疗,随便你 |
[15:42] | But I am not his lawyer anymore, and I want him out of here. | 但我不会再做他的律师了,我要他出去 |
[15:44] | What’s going — William? | 怎么了。。。William? |
[15:46] | Jimmy, hi. | Jimmy,你好 |
[15:48] | Lindsay won’t take my business, | Lindsay不接我的活儿了 |
[15:50] | and I could just kill myself… | 我会自杀的。。。 |
[15:55] | or others. | 或者去杀人 |
[15:56] | If you don’t leave this office right now, | 如果你不立即离开的话 |
[15:59] | I will call the police. | 我会报警的 |
[16:01] | I’ve already called them. | 我已经报警了 |
[16:02] | What are you going to tell them? | 你们打算跟警察说什么? |
[16:04] | A man has just charged in and tried to hire you? | 一个男人只不过是闯进来想要雇你? |
[16:08] | Hey, sicko, pick a fingernail. | 嘿,神经病,放松一些 |
[16:12] | 702 Commercial Avenue, apartment 13-A. | 商业大道702号,13-A号公寓 |
[16:17] | You really should try to buy, you know? | 知道吗?你真应该想办法买下来 |
[16:19] | You’re throwing money away by renting. | 你租房子住是白扔钱 |
[16:22] | Sir, we represented you. We got you acquitted. | 先生,我们代理过你,我们使你被判无罪 |
[16:26] | Our business with you is over. | 我们和你的业务关系结束了 |
[16:29] | You will leave now, | 请你现在离开 |
[16:30] | or I will physically remove you. | 否则我会动手把你弄出去 |
[16:33] | Gee. | 哎呀 |
[16:36] | You look like you’ve been working out, too. | 你看起来也是健过身的 |
[16:38] | Wanna try me, Bill? | 想试试吗,Bill? |
[16:55] | He gives her up, she’s unharmed — | 他把她交出来,如果她没有受到伤害的话。。。 |
[16:58] | kidnapping to extort, | 建议以绑架勒索罪量刑十到十五年 |
[16:59] | sentence recommendation of 10 to 15. | 建议以绑架勒索罪量刑十到十五年 |
[17:01] | He’s not going to accept that. | 他不会接受这个条件的 |
[17:03] | -If you push it, he might. -He won’t. | -如果你力促的话,他会的 -他不会的 |
[17:04] | Bobby… Bobby。。。 | |
[17:05] | Look, this guy didn’t just fall off a truck. | 你看,这家伙没有摔坏脑子 |
[17:07] | He knows your case is lousy. | 他知道你们立案依据很脆弱 |
[17:09] | He knows the parents are putting the screws on you. | 他也知道女孩的父母在给你们施压 |
[17:11] | You’re going to have to offer | 你们应提出是:单纯绑架,二到三年刑期的交易条件 |
[17:13] | straight kidnapping, three to five. | 你们应提出是:单纯绑架,二到三年刑期的交易条件 |
[17:17] | (sighs) | |
[17:20] | Five to seven, | 五到七年 |
[17:22] | but she’s got to be completely unharmed. | 而且女孩应该毫发无损 |
[17:24] | I can take that to him. | 我会转告给他的 |
[17:35] | We could sue, | 我们可以起诉 |
[17:37] | but it’s our feeling we wouldn’t win. | 但我们感觉我们恐怕赢不了 |
[17:39] | We probably couldn’t even survive | 我们甚至可能连撤销动议都挺不过去 |
[17:41] | a motion to dismiss. | 我们甚至可能连撤销动议都挺不过去 |
[17:43] | We could go back in to Judge Hiller | 我们可以再去找Hiller法官 |
[17:46] | and ask for an adjudication that you’re innocent, | 请她给你做一个无辜的裁决 |
[17:48] | “innocent” as opposed to simply “not guilty.” | “无辜”不同于简单的“无罪” |
[17:52] | Do they do that? | 你们可以做到吗? |
[17:53] | In extremely rare circumstances. | 这种情况很少见 |
[17:56] | Our thinking is if we could lift | 我们的考虑是如果我们提出你饱受怀疑。。。 |
[17:58] | this cloud of suspicion off you — | 我们的考虑是如果我们提出你饱受怀疑。。。 |
[18:00] | Yes, yes, yes, yes, that’s what I want to do, absolutely. | 对对对,那绝对就是我想要的 |
[18:02] | I’m not confident we’ll — | 我不确定我们能。。。 |
[18:04] | Let’s just do it, Ellenor. Now, she was at the trial. | 赶紧干吧,Ellenor,马上,她主持的庭审, |
[18:07] | She heard the evidence. She knows. | 她也听取了证据,她了解这案子 |
[18:11] | Let’s do it. | 让我们干吧 |
[18:17] | Five to seven years, | 判刑五到七年, |
[18:19] | you’ll be up for parole after four. | 至多到四年就可以申请保释 |
[18:22] | This is a good deal. | 这个条件不错 |
[18:26] | Five to seven I can deal with. | 五到七年,我还能应付得了 |
[18:28] | Great. Now we got to move. | 很好,如果你告诉我们她在哪儿 |
[18:31] | If you tell me where she is — | 我们现在必须要行动了。。。 |
[18:32] | Tell them I’ll take the five to seven, | 跟他们说我接受五到七年的刑期, |
[18:35] | but, uh, that’s if they find her dead or alive. | 但是,呃,不管那女孩是死是活,都是这个刑期。 |
[18:40] | What? | 什么? |
[18:41] | What nothing. You heard me. | 没什么,你听明白了。 |
[18:43] | They’re not going to give you five years if you killed Alessa. | 如果你杀害了Alessa,他们不会给你五年刑期的 |
[18:46] | I didn’t kill anybody. | 我谁也没杀 |
[18:49] | Then what the hell is going on in your head? | 那你脑子里到底有什么毛病了? |
[18:50] | Figure it out. | 想想看 |
[18:53] | You lock up a 7-year-old girl alone for 3 days, | 你把一个七岁的女孩关了三天, |
[18:55] | who the hell knows what happens? | 鬼知道会怎么样? |
[18:58] | If she’s dead, I didn’t do it. | 如果她死了,我就不能接受认罪交易 |
[19:00] | So I’m not exactly eager to confess | 所以我并不是特别想坦白,把我后半辈子扔进Walpole监狱里 |
[19:04] | and throw myself to Walpole the rest of my life, | 所以我并不是特别想坦白,把我后半辈子扔进Walpole监狱里 |
[19:07] | not while there’s a chance | 没有好的机会的话 |
[19:09] | I might be able to skate on this. | 我也可以不交代的 |
[19:11] | Look, I don’t know what you did, | 听着,我不知道你做过什么 |
[19:12] | but if I tell this to the D. A., | 但如果我把你的要求告诉检察官 |
[19:14] | they’re going to think you murdered her. | 他们会认为你谋杀了她 |
[19:15] | Hey, that’s their problem. | 嘿,那是他们的问题 |
[19:16] | It’s your problem! | 是你的问题! |
[19:18] | Bring it to Bay. | 把我的要求告诉Bay |
[19:19] | Francis — Francis。。。 | |
[19:20] | You go. Bring it to him. | 去,把我的要求告诉他 |
[19:27] | (pounds door) | |
[19:29] | Guard! | 警卫! |
[19:31] | (cellular phone rings) | |
[19:36] | Hello? | 你是? |
[19:38] | Hello. I’m looking for Lindsay Dole. | 你好,我找Lindsay Dole |
[19:40] | This is her husband. | 我是她丈夫 |
[19:42] | Well, I’ve definitely got the wrong number, then. | 哦,那我肯定打错电话了。 |
[19:44] | -(phone clicks) -And you are? | 你是谁? |
[20:06] | I’d go to the police. | 我会报警的 |
[20:08] | But he didn’t really threaten me. | 但他还真没有威胁我 |
[20:10] | He said, “I could just kill myself or others,” | 他说“我会自杀或者杀人”时正盯着你看 |
[20:12] | looking right at you. | 他说“我会自杀或者杀人”时正盯着你看 |
[20:14] | Even if we could make an assault charge on that, | 我的意思是,即使我们能对此提出袭击的指控, |
[20:15] | I mean, what would they really do? | 警察又能怎么样? |
[20:17] | To him? They might not give him bail. | 对他吗?可以不让他获得保释。 |
[20:19] | What about telling the police what he told us? | 把他对我们说的话告诉警察呢? |
[20:22] | -Privilege. -If we think he’s about to commit bodily harm — | -那属于保密范畴 -如果我们认为他将要造成人身伤害的话 |
[20:25] | But we’ve got no grounds on that, Jimmy. | 但是我们对此提不出理由, Jimmy |
[20:28] | The guy’s got my address. | 这家伙有我的住址 |
[20:30] | Thanks for antagonizing him, by the way. | 还有,瞧你干的好事,把他惹急眼了 |
[20:33] | You should talk to Helen, Lindsay. | Lindsay,你应该和Helen谈谈 |
[20:35] | Ethically — | 从职业道德上。。。 |
[20:36] | To hell with ethics. | 见职业道德个鬼。 |
[20:38] | Talk to Helen. | 去跟Helen谈谈。 |
[20:44] | -Five to seven if she’s dead? -HELEN: Are you serious? | -如果她死了也是五到七年? -没开玩笑吧? |
[20:47] | I know what it sounds like. Just give him a counter-offer, | 我知道听起来像开玩笑,就给他还个价, |
[20:48] | say voluntary. | 按自愿坦白。 |
[20:49] | He serves 20 if she’s dead. | 如果女孩死了就判他20年 |
[20:51] | You have to give him something. | 你得给他提些条件 |
[20:53] | Otherwise, he’ll just go to trial, | 不然他就进入庭审程序 |
[20:54] | and the girl will die. | 女孩就死定了 |
[20:59] | She’s dead already. | 她已经死了吧 |
[21:01] | Richard, that’s not what this means. | Richard,他不是那个意思 |
[21:03] | He murdered her. He killed her days ago. | 他谋杀了她,他几天前就已经杀了她 |
[21:05] | This whole negotiation — it’s been a ruse. | 所有这些谈判。。。都是一个诡计 |
[21:07] | He knew we were on to him. He wants to get out | 他知道我们掌握他的情况了,他想犯了谋杀罪而只坐五年牢 |
[21:09] | in five for murder, so he pretends she’s alive | 所以他假称她还活着 |
[21:12] | so you have something to bargain with. | 所以你们也就可以讨价还价了 |
[21:13] | We don’t know that. | 我们不清楚这些 |
[21:15] | That’s what it looks like. | 看上去就是这么回事 |
[21:16] | Were you in on this? | 你也参与了吧? |
[21:17] | I wasn’t in on anything. He’s just playing hardball. | 我什么也没有参与。就是他态度很强硬。 |
[21:19] | -Get out of my office. -Wait a second — | -滚出去 -等一下。。。 |
[21:22] | -This negotiation is over. -No, it isn’t. | -谈判结束了 -不,还没有 |
[21:23] | Look, we all know our positions here, | 听着,我们都清楚我们对此的立场 |
[21:25] | but if that girl is alive, | 但如果这个女孩还活着 |
[21:27] | just the possibility that she’s alive… | 哪怕是可能还活着。。。 |
[21:29] | however technically unethical it may be, | 无论手段上多么不道德 |
[21:31] | we got to get on the same side here. | 我们必须站在同一立场上 |
[21:34] | He’s not going to give. | 他不会让步的, |
[21:36] | Well, then you’ll make him give, Bobby, | 那么,你就使他让步,Bobby |
[21:39] | and don’t tell me you can’t. | 别跟我说你做不到 |
[21:41] | Nobody’s better at this than you. | 没人比你更行 |
[21:45] | Bobby? Bobby? | |
[21:47] | A second. | 来一下 |
[21:51] | This is good cop/bad cop. Don’t fall for it. | 这是一个唱红脸一个唱白脸,别上当 |
[21:54] | But she’s right, Eugene. | 但她说的对,Eugene |
[21:55] | We have to be on the same side a little here. | 现在我们多少要站在同一立场上 |
[21:58] | No, we do not. | 不,我们不用 |
[21:59] | Now, put that girl out of your mind, | 现在,你忘掉那个女孩 |
[22:02] | think about your client, or get off this case. | 想想你的当事人,或者退出这个案子 |
[22:14] | I need something to take back to him. | 我需要点什么提议去回复他 |
[22:18] | There’s no deal if the girl is dead. | 如果那女孩死了,就不会有任何交易 |
[22:21] | Period. | 就这样 |
[22:23] | Then we’re done. | 那就没什么可说的了 |
[22:38] | Damn it. | 可恶。 |
[22:42] | It’s not unprecedented. | 这并非没有先例 |
[22:44] | Maybe not, but on what basis do I declare him innocent? | 也许是,但我凭什么宣布他是无辜的? |
[22:49] | I would start with the fact | 我会从他直到被证明有罪前都是被假定为无辜这一点着手 |
[22:51] | that he’s presumed innocent until proven guilty | 我会从他直到被证明有罪前都是被假定为无辜这一点着手 |
[22:53] | and he was never proved to be — | 而他从未被证明是。。。 |
[22:55] | If you want a ruling that I presume him innocent, | 如果你希望得到我假定他是无辜的裁决的话, |
[22:57] | I’ll give it to you, | 我可以给你这个裁决 |
[22:59] | but for me to make a finding of innocence — | 但对于我来说,做出其无辜的结论。。。 |
[23:02] | Your honor, he’s losing his job. | 法官大人,他丢掉了工作, |
[23:04] | He’s reapplying for a mortgage. | 他正在重新申请抵押贷款。 |
[23:06] | The bank wants nothing to do with him. | 而银行想和他撇清关系 |
[23:08] | His neighbors are trying to bring | 他的邻居们正在试图针对他采取一些妨害行为, |
[23:10] | a nuisance action against him. | 他的邻居们正在试图针对他采取一些妨害行为, |
[23:11] | I’m sure life is being very unfair to him. | 我相信生活对他来说很不公平 |
[23:14] | Why don’t you sue the police for arresting him to begin with? | 你们为什么不先起诉警察对他的逮捕呢? |
[23:18] | Well, I don’t think that would fly. | 那个嘛,我觉得不会成功的 |
[23:21] | Of course it wouldn’t, | 当然不会的 |
[23:22] | because there is evidence against Mr. Wallace. | 因为有对Wallace先生不利的证据 |
[23:25] | They were heard fighting. | 别人听见他们争吵 |
[23:26] | She had a whack on the back of the head. | 她头后部受到重击 |
[23:29] | For all I know, he could have killed her. | 就我来看,可能是他杀了她 |
[23:32] | He didn’t. | 他没有 |
[23:34] | Maybe not, but I am certainly not prepared | 也许是没有,但我肯定不打算做出一个无辜的裁决 |
[23:36] | to make a finding of innocence. | 也许是没有,但我肯定不会打算做出一个无辜的裁决 |
[23:40] | Did you really think I would? | 你们真的以为我会吗? |
[23:47] | Did he say anything else? | 他还说别的了吗? |
[23:48] | My address. | 说出了我的住址 |
[23:49] | The tenor was a threat, Helen. | 他的主旨就是威胁,Helen |
[23:51] | I know it would be tough to make, | 我知道这可能很难定性 |
[23:53] | but he’s scaring the hell out of me. | 但他吓死我了 |
[23:54] | What do you want me to do? | 你想让我做什么? |
[23:56] | Arrest him. Scare the hell out of him. | 逮捕他,吓吓他 |
[23:59] | Lindsay, your husband already has me | Lindsay,你丈夫在这绑架案上让我已经焦头烂额了 |
[24:00] | scrambling over this kidnapping. | Lindsay,你丈夫在这绑架案上让我已经焦头烂额了 |
[24:02] | The guy’s a psycho. | 这家伙是个神经病 |
[24:03] | You realize — | 你要认识到。。。 |
[24:05] | Just scare him, Helen, please? | 只是吓唬他一下,Helen,行吗? |
[24:15] | Where is she now? | 她现在在哪儿? |
[24:16] | She and Lucy went to speak with Helen. | 她和Lucy想去找Helen谈谈。 |
[24:19] | Exactly what did he say? | 他到底说了些什么? |
[24:20] | Well, it was very veiled. | 那个,很隐晦的 |
[24:22] | I’m not sure Helen will actually be able | 我不确信Helen真能做些什么 |
[24:25] | to do anything, but I would change your locks. | 但我会把你们的门锁更换一下 |
[24:27] | (door opens) | |
[24:33] | Do you know where she is? | 你知道她在哪里吗? |
[24:36] | Mr. Engel, you know I can’t talk to you. | Engel先生,你明白我不能和你交谈的 |
[24:38] | Do you know where my daughter is? | 你知道我女儿在哪里吗? |
[24:42] | No. | 不知道 |
[24:48] | Is she dead? | 她死了吗? |
[24:50] | I don’t know. | 我真不知道 |
[24:52] | Okay, this — sir — | 好了,这个。。。先生 |
[24:53] | How can you two just sit back — | 你们俩怎么居然能袖手旁观。。。 |
[24:56] | You’ve got to be a little human. | 你们起码要有点人性 |
[24:59] | She’s 7 years old. | 她才七岁 |
[25:06] | Mr. Engel — | Engel先生。。。 |
[25:08] | Bobby. | |
[25:10] | Eugene. | |
[25:11] | Are you willing to help me get her back? | 你想帮我把她救回来吗? |
[25:14] | What kind of question is that? | 这算是哪门子问题呀? |
[25:16] | With more public pressure on the D. A.’s office | 给地区检察官施加公众压力以达成控辩交易 |
[25:18] | to make a deal, they might make a deal, | 他们也许会达成的 |
[25:21] | and you could help generate that pressure. | 而你能帮助施压 |
[25:29] | What the hell is this? | 这是什么玩意儿? |
[25:31] | A press release from me and the Engel parents. | 我和Engel夫妇的联名新闻稿 |
[25:34] | Noon tomorrow, we’ll hold a joint press conference | 明天中午,我们将举行联合新闻发布会 |
[25:36] | saying that my client has information on the kidnapping. | 说明我的当事人掌握有关绑架案的信息 |
[25:38] | We’ll blame your office and you personally | 我们会指责你的机构和你个人 |
[25:41] | for scuttling the only chance to save Alessa by not making | 因不能和我的当事人达成控辩交易 而使拯救Alessa的机会成为泡影 |
[25:45] | a deal with him. | 因不能和我的当事人达成控辩交易 而使拯救Alessa的机会成为泡影 |
[25:46] | Your client supports you on this? | 你的当事人支持你这么做吗? |
[25:48] | He told me to do whatever it takes to make a deal. | 他跟我说为了达成交易什么都可以做 |
[25:50] | Your gun is pointed at your own head, Mr. Donnell. | 你在铤而走险,Donnell先生 |
[25:53] | If you do this, you’ll be admitting | 如果你这么做,就等于是向 |
[25:56] | to every potential juror in Massachusetts | 马萨诸塞州每个候选的陪审团成员承认 |
[25:58] | that your client is the kidnapper. | 你的当事人是个绑匪 |
[26:00] | I’ve never heard of anything so stupid, | 我从来没听说过这么愚蠢的事 |
[26:04] | not to mention unethical. | 更别说这是不符合职业道德的 |
[26:05] | They’ll take away your bar card. | 他们会取消你的律师资格的 |
[26:07] | I’ll make sure of it. | 我敢肯定会这样 |
[26:08] | Do what you have to do. | 做你该做的吧 |
[26:15] | She’s already dead. | 她已经死了 |
[26:17] | This is just a bunch of black marks on white paper. | 这些新闻稿毫无意义 |
[26:22] | You could be right. | 你可能是对的 |
[26:24] | You could be wrong. | 也可能是错的 |
[26:26] | Glad I don’t have to make that guess. | 我庆幸的是我不必去猜 |
[26:29] | We’ll give you two hours. | 我给你两个小时的时间考虑 |
[26:38] | We searched his house? | 我们搜查他家了吗? |
[26:41] | Came up empty. | 空空如也 |
[26:42] | What about his van? | 货车呢? |
[26:43] | The interior was washed and vacuumed — | 内部被清洗和吸尘过。。。 |
[26:45] | shows he was trying to destroy evidence. | 看来他试图销毁证据。 |
[26:47] | Trying? He succeeded. | 试图?他已经成功了 |
[26:49] | We don’t know that yet. | 对此我们还不清楚。。。 |
[26:50] | Fiber? Hair? DNA? Anything to tie him to the girl? | 纤维?头发?DNA?有什么可以把他和那个女孩联系在一起的吗? |
[26:54] | -As of now, no. -We have nothing? | -目前来说,没有 -我们啥也没有? |
[26:56] | Kate, we’re one day into the case. | Kate,我们这案子才一天。 |
[26:58] | We might lose the bail hearing, in which case he goes free. | 我们可能会输掉保释听证会,那样的话,他就自由了 |
[27:03] | Sign this plea agreement | 把这份控辩协议签了 |
[27:05] | and fax it to Bobby Donnell immediately. | 立刻传真给Bobby Donnell |
[27:08] | We’re negotiating with these terrorists? | 我们是在和这些恐怖分子谈判吗? |
[27:10] | Sign it, Richard. | Richard,把这个签了 |
[27:16] | I will not. | 我不会签的 |
[27:21] | (signing paper) | |
[27:26] | Fax this to Bobby Donnell and get that girl back. | 把这个传真给Bobby Donnell,把那个女孩带回来。 |
[27:32] | It’s not right! | 这是不对的! |
[27:33] | (chair flips over) | |
[27:34] | (sighs) | |
[27:38] | We’re going to take one shot with Duvall. | 我i们打算找Duvall再试试看 |
[27:41] | He agreed to a meeting without his lawyer. | 他同意不带律师和我们见面 |
[27:43] | He’s not going to change his mind. Why would he? | 他为什么那样做?他不会改主意的 |
[27:46] | Well, when he said you two were friends, | 对了,他说过和你是朋友 |
[27:49] | are you two friends? | 你们是朋友吗? |
[27:51] | Yeah, we had lunch together every day. | 是吧,我们每天都在一起吃午饭 |
[27:54] | Our wives were even close. | 我们的太太关系也很好 |
[27:56] | And then after they all pulled away — | 但之后他们都躲得远远的。。。 |
[28:00] | everybody — | 所有人都是。。。 |
[28:03] | and they still think I’m — | 而且他们仍然认为我。。。 |
[28:06] | Doesn’t it mean anything? For God’s sake. | 看在上帝的份上,那还不能说明一切吗? |
[28:10] | A jury hears all the evidence, | 陪审团听取了所有证据, |
[28:11] | and they found me not guilty. | 他们判我无罪 |
[28:14] | I mean, doesn’t that mean anything? | 我是说,这难道不能说明一切吗? |
[28:16] | Unfortunately, no. | 不幸的是,确实不能 |
[28:18] | The police make a mistake, | 警察犯了个错误 |
[28:20] | and I am discriminated against now | 因为那个错误,我现在受到歧视 |
[28:23] | because of that mistake, and you’re telling me | 而你却告诉我 |
[28:25] | that there is no existing legal remedy, | 现在没有现行的法律赔偿 |
[28:29] | that I just have to eat the bigotry, | 我只能不得不忍受偏见 |
[28:33] | I have to accept it and say that’s life? | 我不得不接受这些,自认倒霉 |
[28:36] | Well, I will not let that be my life! | 我可不认命! |
[28:48] | Let us take one last shot with Mr. Duvall. | 让我们跟Duvall先生再最后试一试 |
[28:52] | He’s going to be here tonight at 8:00. | 他晚上八点来这里 |
[28:59] | He’s in there? | 他在那里吗? |
[29:02] | He went in 20 minutes ago. | 他二十分钟前进去了 |
[29:04] | You sure you want to do this, Helen? | 你真的要这么做吗,Helen? |
[29:07] | Favor bank. Don’t even knock. | 算我欠你的。门都别敲。 |
[29:10] | Go ahead. | 动手 |
[29:17] | Freeze! On the ground! | 不许动!趴到地上! |
[29:18] | Get on the ground! | 趴到地上! |
[29:26] | Mr. Hinks, you are under arrest for criminal assault. | Hinks先生,你因袭击罪被捕 |
[29:29] | You have the right to remain silent. | 你有权保持沉默 |
[29:31] | I didn’t do anything. | 我什么也没做 |
[29:32] | Yeah, you did, Mr. Hinks. | 不,你做了,Hinks先生。 |
[29:34] | A threat constitutes an assault. | 威胁他人就构成了袭击 |
[29:38] | For example, if I were to say to you | 比如,如果我跟你说 |
[29:41] | “If you ever go near Lindsay Dole again, | “如果再敢靠近Lindsay Dole” |
[29:44] | “I will find a way | “我会想办法 |
[29:46] | “to have you accidentally shot | ”让你被警察不小心开枪误杀“ |
[29:48] | and killed by a police officer” — | ”让你被警察不小心开枪误杀“ |
[29:50] | something like that — | 诸如此类。。。 |
[29:52] | that would be an assault, so I would never say that. | 而这就算是袭击了,所以我从不这么说 |
[29:56] | Get him out of here. | 把他带出去 |
[30:18] | I want you there, Bobby. | 我希望由你来办,Bobby |
[30:20] | If I can make it, I will. | 如果我能办,我会的 |
[30:22] | These other lawyers, | 那些别的律师, |
[30:23] | I don’t think they’re too good, you know. | 我觉得他们不大行 |
[30:25] | Scott, Ellenor Frutt and Jimmy Berluti are excellent. | Scott,Ellenor Frutt和Jimmy Berluti是很优秀的 |
[30:28] | I want you, dammit! | 该死的!我要你来办 |
[30:37] | You don’t seem to be doing too well. | 你好像状况不大好, |
[30:41] | Are you still taking the medication? | 你还在服药吗? |
[30:43] | Look, you want to give me my life back in a pill, | 听着,你应该把我以往的生活装在一颗药丸里还给我 |
[30:45] | I’ll swallow it. | 我就会吞下去 |
[30:46] | Scott, are you taking your medication? | Scott,你还在服药吗? |
[30:48] | Yes, but this is rough. | 是的,但是太难了。 |
[30:51] | I didn’t expect them to welcome me back. | 我没指望他们会欢迎我回来 |
[30:53] | I’m not naive, but — | 我没那么天真,但是。。。 |
[30:55] | Remember how you spoke of going to Fiji? | 你还记得你谈起打算去斐济时的样子吗? |
[30:57] | Well, maybe you should go for a couple of weeks. | 或许你应该去几个星期 |
[31:00] | Get some rest. | 休息一下 |
[31:05] | We got to fly. | 我们得走了 |
[31:06] | Okay. | 好的 |
[31:08] | I will do my absolute best to make the meeting, | 我会尽量赶来参加会议 |
[31:11] | but you’re in great hands with Ellenor and Jimmy. | 但Ellenor和Jimmy能为你把握得很好的 |
[31:20] | The judge is waiting. We go right in, | 法官在等着呢,我们直接进去 |
[31:22] | get the plea entered, | 完成控辩交易 |
[31:24] | and then you reveal the location of the girl. | 然后你就说出女孩在哪儿 |
[31:27] | They tossed my house yesterday, you hear? | 他们昨天搜查我家了,你知道吗? |
[31:31] | Yeah. | 知道 |
[31:33] | They didn’t find anything. | 他们啥也没发现 |
[31:34] | (door opens) | |
[31:35] | Nothing. | 啥也没发现 |
[31:37] | You sign the plea? | 签了吗? |
[31:38] | Listen, I’m, uh, suddenly thinking | 听我说,我,那个,突然想到 |
[31:40] | that, uh, I’m going to trial. | 那个,呃,我打算上庭 |
[31:43] | I’m not pleading. | 我不签认罪协议 |
[31:46] | What? | 什么? |
[31:47] | You said it yourself. They got no case. | 你自己说的,他们没有立案理由 |
[31:50] | Whoa, whoa, whoa, Francis, | 哇喔,Francis |
[31:51] | there’s no statute of limitations on murder. | 谋杀罪没有诉讼时效限制 |
[31:54] | They have your whole life to make the case. | 你只要活着,他们可以随时提出指控 |
[31:56] | They ain’t gonna make. I got a feeling. | 我有种感觉,他们做不到 |
[31:59] | You’ve trusted me on three trials. | 你已经信我三次了 |
[32:01] | Trust me here. This is the best deal we’ll ever get. | 这次也信我吧,这是我们能得到的最好的交易了 |
[32:04] | We? | 我们? |
[32:06] | You gonna do the time with me, counselor? | 你会陪着我一起坐牢吗,律师? |
[32:13] | Listen, forget all that. | 听着,别管那些 |
[32:17] | This is a little girl’s life. | 这有关于一个小姑娘的性命 |
[32:25] | Francis, you’re not a murderer. | Francis,你不是一个凶手 |
[32:29] | I know you. | 我了解你 |
[32:32] | That little girl — | 那个小姑娘。。。 |
[32:36] | You ever see her house off of Brattle? | 你见过她在Brattle附近的家吗? |
[32:39] | It’s like a castle. | 像一座城堡 |
[32:41] | She’s this little princess. | 她就是个小公主 |
[32:47] | She’s had seven good years. | 她美美地生活了七年 |
[32:51] | That’s better than I ever had. | 比我的强多了 |
[33:00] | No deal. | 拒绝认罪交易 |
[33:02] | You’re letting her die. | 你正在害死她 |
[33:08] | I said…no deal. | 我说了。。。拒绝交易 |
[33:16] | Tell the D. A. | 告诉地区检察官 |
[33:19] | Go. | 去吧 |
[33:23] | Now what? | 现在怎么办? |
[33:24] | I don’t know. I guess we just go tell them. | 我没主意了,我想只能跟他们讲了 |
[33:26] | Go tell them it’s going south, | 去跟他们说情况变糟了 |
[33:28] | see if they can improve the offer. | 看看他们是否条件再优惠一些 |
[33:30] | -There’s no way they’re going to — -Take the shot. | -那不可能。。。 -试试吧 |
[33:32] | What are you going to do? | 那你打算去干什么? |
[33:35] | I’m going to take another shot with Francis. | 我再去找Francis试一试 |
[33:38] | Good. Then we can compare cement walls. | 真棒,然后我们就可以 |
[33:40] | Hurry. | 赶快 |
[33:44] | Rebecca, call me back in 30 seconds on my cell. | Rebecca,30秒后给我手机打回来 |
[33:49] | Just do it. | 照做就是了 |
[33:55] | What now? | 又怎么了? |
[33:56] | Eugene is telling them, | Eugene在跟他们说, |
[33:58] | but, Francis, I just want to make sure you understand. | 但是,Francis,我就是想确认你明白他们可以 |
[34:01] | They could hit you with life | 他们能单凭绑架罪判你终身监禁 |
[34:03] | on the kidnapping alone. | 他们能单凭绑架罪判你终身监禁 |
[34:05] | I understand that. | 我明白 |
[34:06] | At some point, this girl is going to be found. | 迟早这女孩会被找到 |
[34:09] | Don’t be so sure. | 别把话说死了 |
[34:10] | (cellular phone rings) | |
[34:12] | Hello? | 喂? |
[34:14] | What? | 什么? |
[34:15] | Where did they say? | 他们说在哪儿? |
[34:18] | (sighs) | |
[34:21] | All right, I’ll tell him. | 好吧, 我会跟他说的 |
[34:24] | (hangs up phone) | |
[34:27] | That was Bay. | 是Bay。 |
[34:29] | You said you vacuumed your van. | 你说你用吸尘器清理了货车 |
[34:32] | Yeah, what’s, uh — | 是呀,怎么了,呃。。。 |
[34:33] | Passenger compartment or just the back? | 是乘客舱或者只清理了后舱? |
[34:35] | She wasn’t in the passenger compartment. | 她没在乘客舱 |
[34:37] | They say they found a long blond hair | 他们说在驾驶座旁发现了一根金色长发 |
[34:39] | off the driver’s seat. | 他们说在驾驶座旁发现了一根金色长发 |
[34:41] | They’re lying. | 他们撒谎 |
[34:42] | They’re giving us 10 minutes from right now | 他们给我们十分钟时间接受认罪交易 |
[34:44] | to take the deal. | 他们给我们十分钟时间接受认罪交易 |
[34:46] | I vacuumed it myself — | 我亲自用吸尘器。。。 |
[34:48] | Francis, this changes things. | Francis,情况变化了 |
[34:51] | You got to run the odds again. | 你得再考虑一下胜算 |
[34:54] | I say we close the deal | 要我说,趁这个认罪交易还有效,我们接受它 |
[34:56] | while it’s still on the table. | 要我说,趁这个认罪交易还有效,我们接受它 |
[35:01] | He asked whether she had a dog. | 他问她是否养狗 |
[35:03] | That’s how he met all his victims — walking dogs. | 这就是他和所有受害人相遇的方式。。。遛狗。 |
[35:06] | He said he would kill himself or others. | 他说他会自杀或者杀人 |
[35:09] | He stared at Lucy Hatcher and uttered her address. | 他盯着Lucy Hatcher,念出了她的住址。 |
[35:11] | None of this rises to the level of assault. | 这些都不足以夸大到袭击的程度 |
[35:14] | Your honor, given the history of this man — | 法官大人,鉴于这个人的前科。。。 |
[35:15] | His history isn’t relevant. | 他的前科没有关联性 |
[35:17] | We can only look at these specific acts, | 我们只能来审视这些具体的行为 |
[35:19] | and uttering an address doesn’t in any way — | 念出一个住址无论如何也不。。。 |
[35:20] | If the court would like to hear | 如果法庭愿意听取Lindsay Dole或者Hatcher女士的。。。 |
[35:22] | from Lindsay Dole or Ms. Hatcher — | 如果法庭愿意听取Lindsay Dole或者Hatcher女士的。。。 |
[35:23] | This is not an evidentiary hearing, | 这不是一次证据听证会 |
[35:25] | but I suppose the court could also | 但我想法庭也可以直接询问 Hinks先生的心理医生Jeannie Reynolds |
[35:27] | direct questions to Jeannie Reynolds, | 但我想法庭也可以直接询问 Hinks先生的心理医生Jeannie Reynolds |
[35:29] | Mr. Hinks’ treating psychologist. | 但我想法庭也可以直接询问 Hinks先生的心理医生Jeannie Reynolds |
[35:30] | She is of the continued opinion | 她始终认为此人仅仅是希望别人把他当成凶手 而他本身是无害于人的。 |
[35:32] | that this is a harmless man | 她始终认为此人仅仅是希望别人把他当成凶手 而他本身是无害于人的。 |
[35:34] | who just wants people to think he’s a killer. | 她始终认为此人仅仅是希望别人把他当成凶手 而他本身是无害于人的。 |
[35:36] | Lindsay Dole is in fear for her life, | Lindsay Dole担心她的生命安全 |
[35:38] | the Commonwealth believes with good reason. | 州检有充分理由确信这一点 |
[35:40] | All right, look, I don’t see how | 好了,听着,我看不出 如何能根据目前提出的这些事实去将其收押 |
[35:43] | I can bind him over on the facts alleged here. | 好了,听着,我看不出 如何能根据目前提出的这些事实去将其收押 |
[35:45] | Here’s what I’m going to do. | 我打算这样处理 |
[35:47] | The criminal complaint is dismissed. | 驳回刑事指控 |
[35:49] | I am issuing a restraining order | 我会签发一份限制令 |
[35:51] | requiring Mr. Hinks not to contact, | 禁止Hinks先生接触、尾随或者接近Dole女士和Hatcher女士 |
[35:55] | follow, or approach Ms. Dole and Ms. Hatcher | 禁止Hinks先生接触、尾随或者接近Dole女士和Hatcher女士 |
[35:59] | and to stay at all times at least 1,000 feet | 任何时候都不得进入她们、她们的 住所和办公室一千英尺范围内 |
[36:03] | from them, their homes, and their offices. | 任何时候都不得进入她们、她们的 住所和办公室一千英尺范围内 |
[36:05] | You understand that, Mr. Hinks? No going near these women. | Mr. Hinks,你明白吗?不许接近这些女人 |
[36:09] | But I’m free to visit Ms. Gamble? | 我可以去拜访Gamble女士吗? |
[36:14] | I am now adding Ms. Gamble to the list. | 我现在就把Gamble女士加到名单上 |
[36:19] | You are to stay away from her, as well, and me. | 你也要离她,包括我在内,远一点 |
[36:22] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 |
[36:24] | (bangs gavel) | |
[36:32] | I guess this is officially goodbye, then. | 我猜这就是正式的告别了 |
[37:06] | Stay back with me, stay back with me. | 呆在我身后,呆在我身后 |
[37:09] | Please, God, let her be alive. | 上帝保佑,让她活着。 |
[37:20] | Down, down, down! | 俯身 |
[37:21] | Down, down, down! Get down! Get down! | 俯身,趴下。。。 |
[37:23] | It’s all right. | 没事的 |
[37:30] | I lied to him. | 我骗了他 |
[37:33] | Sorry? | 你说什么? |
[37:34] | I told him they found a hair of hers in his car. | 我告诉他警察在车上发现了女孩的头发 |
[37:42] | That’s how I got him to take the deal. | 我就是这样使他接受了认罪交易 |
[37:45] | I don’t care, Eugene. | 我不在乎,Eugene |
[37:47] | I wasn’t going to let a little girl… | 我不会让一个小姑娘。。。 |
[37:51] | It’s time for you to get out of criminal law. | 是你该退出刑事辩护的时候了 |
[37:57] | Coming out! | 出来了! |
[37:59] | (Alessa crying) | |
[38:00] | Coming out, coming out! | 出来了,出来了! |
[38:03] | Thank you, God. | 谢天谢地! |
[38:15] | Oh, sweetheart! | 噢,宝贝! |
[38:18] | (sobbing) | |
[38:29] | Look, Scott, this isn’t just my decision. | 听着,Scott,这不仅仅是我做的决定 |
[38:33] | Oh, don’t tell me that, Harry. They follow you. | 噢,别扯了,Harry,他们都是跟着你的 |
[38:35] | They took their cue when you pulled away. | 你避开我的时候,他们就得到暗示了 |
[38:38] | No, no, I’m not getting into that again. | 算了,算了,我不再谈这些了 |
[38:41] | Oh, what? That’s an inconvenience to have that discussion? | 噢,什么?谈谈这些很为难吗? |
[38:44] | Okay, Scott, cut it out. | 好了,Scott,打住吧 |
[38:47] | All right, look. What we’re asking, | 好了,听着,我们要求的是 |
[38:50] | forget about making him a partner, just let him trade– | 不用考虑让他当合伙人,只需要让他。。。 |
[38:51] | -It’s not that simple. -Why can’t it be? | -没那么简单 -为什么不能呢? |
[38:55] | Ms. Frutt, the employees | Frutt女士,雇员们不希望身边有他在 |
[38:59] | don’t want him around. | Frutt女士,雇员们不希望身边有他在 |
[39:03] | Not as a partner, | 不管是作为一个合伙人 |
[39:05] | not as a coworker. | 还是作为一个同事 |
[39:07] | They don’t even want him in the building. | 他们甚至不希望他出现在大厦里 |
[39:12] | What about you, Harry? | 那你呢, Harry? |
[39:14] | Scott… | |
[39:16] | It’s a question. | 这是一个问题 |
[39:17] | Doesn’t our friendship even deserve | 我们的友谊都换不回来一个诚实的回答吗? |
[39:19] | an honest response? | 我们的友谊都换不回来一个诚实的回答吗? |
[39:21] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[39:25] | I don’t want you around either, Scott. | 我也不想让你在,Scott |
[39:30] | You’re not the same person | 你不再是我过去当成朋友的那个人了 |
[39:32] | that I used to be friends with, | 你不再是我过去当成朋友的那个人了 |
[39:34] | and whether you killed Karen or not, | 不管你是不是杀了Karen |
[39:37] | you’re just not the same man I used to know. | 你都不是我过去了解的那个人了 |
[39:41] | I’m going to tell you something now. | 我现在要告诉你一些事 |
[39:44] | When all of this happened, | 在经历所有这些之后 |
[39:46] | I needed my friends more than ever. | 我比从前更需要我的朋友们 |
[39:50] | I needed you, Harry, | 我需要你,Harry |
[39:52] | and to see you pull away, to see you recoil | 看到你避开我,看到你退缩 |
[39:55] | at the idea that you and I were once friends, | 想到你我曾经是朋友, |
[39:59] | that it was, like, repugnant to you — | 那就像是,我使你厌恶。。。 |
[40:02] | you think you’re the same person? | 你觉得你没变吗? |
[40:04] | You need to move on with your life, Scott. | 你需要向前看,Scott |
[40:06] | My life has been taken from me. | 我的生活被夺走了 |
[40:13] | -Oh, Jesus, Scott! -Scott! -Scott! | -噢,天啊,Scott! |
[40:14] | This is just the anesthesia. | 这就是麻木 |
[40:17] | It numbs the pain. | 使痛苦麻木 |
[40:18] | Scott, please. | Scott,别 |
[40:20] | Just quiet. | 冷静下来 |
[40:21] | Put the gun — | 放下枪。。。 |
[40:23] | Just shut up now! Your powers of persuasion stink. | 马上住嘴!你劝人的本事很差劲儿 |
[40:25] | Scott, listen to me. | Scott,听我说 |
[40:27] | This is not the answer. | 这不解决问题 |
[40:29] | How the hell do you know? You ever tried it? | 你怎么知道的,你试过了? |
[40:31] | Last time you shot yourself, it didn’t work out? | 上一次你冲自己开枪,不管用吗? |
[40:34] | Okay, you can have your job back. | 好吧,你能回来工作 |
[40:37] | I can have my job — | 我能得到我的工作。。。 |
[40:39] | Scott, Scott, listen to me. | Scott, Scott, 听我说。 |
[40:41] | If you kill yourself, | 如果你自杀了 |
[40:42] | people are going to think that you killed Karen. | 别人会认为是你杀了Karen |
[40:45] | You ever think about that? | 你想过这一点吗? |
[40:48] | People are going to say, | 别人会说 |
[40:50] | “See? He was nuts after all. | ”瞧,他毕竟是个疯子 |
[40:52] | He killed her, he killed himself.” | 他杀了她,然后他自杀了“ |
[40:55] | Is that the legacy that you really want to leave, Scott? | 你真的想留给别人这个吗,Scott? |
[41:05] | No. | 不 |
[41:10] | Harry, you’re right. | Harry,你是对的 |
[41:12] | You’re absolutely right. | 你说的太对了, |
[41:21] | (gun clicks) | |
[41:31] | I bet you’re glad I’m out of bullets. | 我打赌你们很高兴我没子弹了。 |
[41:35] | Huh? | 是吧? |
[41:41] | I’m going to need you and Ellenor | 我要你和Ellenor冷静下来,做个笔录 |
[41:44] | to come down, make statements. | 我要你和Ellenor冷静下来,做个笔录 |
[41:46] | Okay. | 行 |
[41:48] | How you doing? | 你还好吗? |
[41:49] | Okay, I guess. | 嗯,我想是吧 |
[42:00] | Don’t say anything to anybody. | 什么也别说 |
[42:02] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 |
[42:03] | He’s represented, Frank. | 他是有律师的,Frank |
[42:06] | Got it. | 知道了 |
[42:34] | You okay? | 你怎么样? |
[42:35] | I don’t know. How could… | 说不清,怎么会。。。 |
[42:38] | He was on the edge, Bobby. | 他已经濒于崩溃,Bobby |
[42:40] | Should I — should we have seen this coming? | 我应该。。。我们应该能预见到吗? |
[42:42] | No. I mean, how could anybody — | 不,我的意思是,怎么会有人。。。 |
[42:46] | What’s that? | 那是什么东西? |
[42:51] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[43:01] | “To Lindsay with affection.” | “敬献给Lindsay” |
[43:13] | it’s a little dog. | 小狗 |
[43:20] | Who’s sending you a dog? | 谁会送给你一只小狗? |