| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [01:55] | I asked for my lawyer. | 我要求律师在场 | 
| [01:56] | This is Bernard Shanly. | 这是Bernard Shanly | 
| [01:58] | He’s a public defender. | 他是公设律师 | 
| [01:59] | I don’t want a public defender. | 我不要公设律师 | 
| [02:00] | I asked for Bobby Donnell. | 我要找Bobby Donnell | 
| [02:01] | Mr. Neel, | Neel先生 | 
| [02:02] | I’m going to advise you to just listen now. | 我劝你现在听着就行了 | 
| [02:03] | You listen. Beat it. | 你听着吧,一边去 | 
| [02:05] | Shut up, Alan, | 闭嘴,Alan | 
| [02:06] | and just don’t talk for a second. | 别再说话了 | 
| [02:15] | You have a problem, Alan. | Alan,你有麻烦了 | 
| [02:17] | The man you killed was a bit of a security freak. | 你杀的那个男人对安全方面有一点偏爱 | 
| [02:20] | He had cameras. | 他安装了些摄像头 | 
| [02:22] | One of them picked you up entering his house. | 其中一个记录了你进入到他家里 | 
| [02:24] | He also managed to activate his phone machine, | 他也设法启动录音装置 | 
| [02:27] | which partially recorded an exchange between you two. | 记录了一部分你们俩之间的交流 | 
| [02:32] | You picked the wrong girl to terrorize. | 你恐吓那个女孩是选错了目标 | 
| [02:35] | Bobby Donnell is a friend of mine. | Bobby Donnell是我的朋友 | 
| [02:37] | We got kind of an arrangement going. | 我们安排好了 | 
| [02:39] | I kill people. | 我杀人 | 
| [02:40] | He gets me off. | 他帮我脱身 | 
| [02:41] | Over the years, I’m in his debt pretty good, | 多年以来,我欠他很多 | 
| [02:44] | so when he calls in a favor… | 所以当他要求我。。。 | 
| [02:45] | I have a silent alarm. | 我有静音警报 | 
| [02:47] | The police are on their way as I speak. | 说话间警察就要来了 | 
| [02:51] | Then I’d better not waste time. | 那我们就最好别浪费时间了 | 
| [02:52] | Before you touch me, you should know | 你动我之前应该要明白。。。 | 
| [02:54] | I have cooties. | 我身上可有虱子 | 
| [02:57] | Well, you’re a funny boy. | 好吧,你还真是挺搞笑得 | 
| [02:58] | Please! | 求你了! | 
| [03:08] | You see, Alan? | 你知道吗?Alan | 
| [03:10] | I don’t think Bobby Donnell is the lawyer | 我可不觉得你应该 | 
| [03:12] | you want to be calling. | 找Bobby Donnell当你的律师 | 
| [04:08] | Did you feel that? | 你感觉到了吗? | 
| [04:09] | Ooh, I felt it. | 噢,我感觉到了 | 
| [04:09] | I didn’t. | 我可没有 | 
| [04:10] | -You didn’t feel that? -Oh, come on. | 你没感觉到?噢,拜托 | 
| [04:13] | What about that? | 这下呢? | 
| [04:14] | That I felt. | 我感觉到了 | 
| [04:15] | -Is that normal? | 正常吧? | 
| [04:16] | Hey, Jimmy, | 嘿,Jimmy | 
| [04:18] | how come you never ask to feel my stomach? | 怎么你从来没有想来摸我的胃? | 
| [04:19] | Oh, don’t start with me, Ellenor. | 噢,Ellenor,别从我开始 | 
| [04:22] | Bobby, Alan Neel. | Bobby, 是Alan Neel | 
| [04:26] | What about him? | 他怎么了? | 
| [04:27] | He’s been arrested for William Hinks’ murder. | 他因谋杀William Hinks而被捕 | 
| [04:33] | Arrested when? | 何时被捕? | 
| [04:34] | Last night. | 昨天晚上 | 
| [04:36] | They got him in lockup. | 他们把他拘押了 | 
| [04:37] | He’s being arraigned at 9:00. | 今天九点将被传讯 | 
| [04:54] | Privacy. | 请回避 | 
| [05:00] | Bobby | Bobby | 
| [05:01] | Calm down. | 冷静 | 
| [05:02] | Bobby, they know. | Bobby,他们知道了 | 
| [05:03] | They got it on tape. | 他们听到录音了 | 
| [05:05] | Keep your voice down. | 小声点 | 
| [05:05] | He had some recorder thing going. | 他有些个类似录音器的东西 | 
| [05:07] | Who? | 谁? | 
| [05:08] | Hinks, the guy you had me whack. | Hinks,那个你让我去收拾的家伙 | 
| [05:10] | Hey, I didn’t have you… | 嘿,我可没让你。。。 | 
| [05:11] | They got it on tape! | 他们从录音上听到了 | 
| [05:12] | Alan, calm down. | Alan,冷静 | 
| [05:15] | They want me to turn state against you. | 他们希望我转控你 | 
| [05:18] | What? | 什么? | 
| [05:19] | They got me on tape, you know, you sent me… | 他们录了我的音,你知道是你派我。。。 | 
| [05:22] | Who wants you to turn state? | 谁要你转控我? | 
| [05:23] | The cops… | 警察 | 
| [05:23] | and that midget DA. | 还有那个侏儒检察官 | 
| [05:25] | Bobby, they got us both. | Bobby,你我都被抓到了 | 
| [05:27] | What exactly do they have on tape? | 他们到底录到了些什么? | 
| [05:30] | I telling Hinks that you sent me. | 我告诉Hinks说是你派我来的 | 
| [05:32] | All right, first, I never sent you to kill him. | 好吧,首先,我从没有让你去杀他 | 
| [05:36] | Oh, come on. | 噢,别这样 | 
| [05:37] | I said scare him. | 我说的是吓唬他一下 | 
| [05:38] | Now come on, Bobby. | 拜托了,Bobby | 
| [05:39] | I never said… | 我从来没有说。。。 | 
| [05:40] | Look, we’re in deep here. | 你看,我们都陷在这里了 | 
| [05:42] | If you’re going to turn against me… | 如果你打算冲我来。。。 | 
| [05:43] | I’m not turning against you, I’m just… | 我没打算冲你来,我只是。。。 | 
| [05:44] | Okay, okay. | 好了好了 | 
| [05:45] | We need each other. We’re in trouble, | 我们彼此需要,我们都有麻烦了 | 
| [05:48] | so, look, let’s just get on the same page here | 所以,让我们在这里保持一致的立场 | 
| [05:50] | and admit that you had me kill the guy. | 承认是你让我杀人的 | 
| [05:56] | I did not have you kill him. | 我没有指使你去杀他 | 
| [06:04] | I’ll be seeing you, Alan. | 我会再来看你的,Alan | 
| [06:11] | Guard! | 警卫 | 
| [06:22] | Bobby Donnell | Bobby Donnell… | 
| [06:23] | What’s going on? | 出什么事了? | 
| [06:26] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 | 
| [06:27] | Mike | Mike. | 
| [06:29] | You’re under arrest for the murder of William Hinks. | 你被控谋杀William Hinks | 
| [06:32] | You have the right to remain silent. | 你有权保持沉默 | 
| [06:34] | Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. | 你所说的一切都能够用作为你的呈堂证供 | 
| [06:38] | You have the right to an attorney. | 你有权在受审时请一位律师 | 
| [06:39] | If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. | 如果你付不起律师费的话,我们可以给你提供 | 
| [06:51] | What? | 什么? | 
| [06:52] | It just happened. He’s being arraigned this afternoon. | 刚刚发生的,他下午将被传讯 | 
| [06:54] | I’m on my way. | 我这就赶过去 | 
| [06:55] | I’m going, too. | 我也去 | 
| [06:56] | No, Lindsay… | 不行,Lindsay | 
| [06:57] | He is my husband. I’m certainly entitled to… | 他是我丈夫,我当然有权去。。。 | 
| [06:58] | -You’re seven months pregnant. -So what? | 你有七个月身孕了。 那又怎么样? | 
| [06:59] | -He’s right, Lindsay. -Ellenor! | Lindsay,他说得对。 Ellenor! | 
| [07:01] | You don’t want to stress yourself into miscarrying. | 你不会想让自己因压力流产吧。 | 
| [07:03] | Stay here. | 呆在这里 | 
| [07:06] | I’ll call you. | 我会打电话给你的 | 
| [07:07] | Jimmy, come on. | Jimmy,走 | 
| [07:15] | Karen? | Karen? | 
| [07:16] | Hey, Bec. Can I talk to you? | 嘿,Bec,能和你谈谈吗? | 
| [07:18] | Well, sure. Is everything okay? | 好的,没问题,一切还好吗? | 
| [07:21] | I think I’d like to hire you. Are you free? | 我想聘请你,你有时间吗? | 
| [07:24] | Let’s go in here. | 我们来这边谈 | 
| [07:25] | It’s their fault, Rebecca. | 这是他们的错误, Rebecca | 
| [07:27] | Why shouldn’t they take responsibility? | 他们为什么不能负起责任呢? | 
| [07:29] | I’m a widow because of them. | 因为他们我成为了一个寡妇 | 
| [07:30] | Maybe they should, | 或许他们应该 | 
| [07:31] | but to hold an employer liable for an employee’s suicide… | 但要追究雇主对雇员自杀的责任的话。。。 | 
| [07:34] | They worked him so hard. They verbally abused him. | 他们给他繁重的工作,他们还用言语辱骂他 | 
| [07:38] | Law firms push associates all the time. They all work long hours. | 律师事务所总是对员工的工作施压,他们都工作很长时间。 | 
| [07:42] | This went beyond that. | 这超出了那个范畴 | 
| [07:43] | We both know Keith suffered from depression. | 我们都知道Keith患有抑郁症 | 
| [07:46] | Which they were responsible for. | 那就是他们应该为之负责的 | 
| [07:48] | Well, did any doctor say that? | 好吧,有医生这么认为吗? | 
| [07:50] | Look, Rebecca, you’re my friend. | Rebecca,你是我的朋友 | 
| [07:52] | If you won’t help me… | 如果你都不帮我。。。 | 
| [07:53] | Of course I’ll help you. | 我当然会帮你 | 
| [07:55] | I’m just saying that your husband suffered from a pre-existing mental… | 我只是说你的丈夫事先就患有精神方面的。。。 | 
| [07:59] | That law firm drove him to suicide, and I want to sue them. | 那个律师事务所促成他自杀的,我要起诉他们 | 
| [08:04] | Was it foreseeable to you that Keith was going to take his life? | 你预见到了Keith会自杀吗? | 
| [08:08] | No. | 没有 | 
| [08:10] | Then how do we really argue it should have been foreseeable to them? | 那么我们如何能真正的论证他们应该能预见到吗? | 
| [08:14] | Please… I just need to do this. | 拜托,我真的需要这么做 | 
| [08:17] | They… | 他们。。。 | 
| [08:21] | I need your help. | 我需要你的帮助 | 
| [08:25] | All right, let me set up a meeting. | 好吧,让我召集一个会议 | 
| [08:27] | I’d like to file a complaint contemporaneously with the meeting, | 我希望在会议同期呈交诉状 | 
| [08:30] | let them know we’re serious about this. | 让他们知道我们是认真的 | 
| [08:31] | First let me meet… | 先让我接触一下。。。 | 
| [08:33] | No. Just file the complaint, | 不,就要呈交诉状 | 
| [08:34] | then we’ll meet with them and go from there. Please? | 随后我们将和他们见面并继续进行下去,好吗? | 
| [08:37] | It can just be boilerplate, but it’ll send a message. | 这只是例行公事,但却可以传达一个信号 | 
| [08:42] | Okay, | 好吧 | 
| [08:43] | but I have to tell you, Karen, | 但我必须告诉你,Karen | 
| [08:45] | I’m only doing this out of our friendship. | 我只是出于友谊才这样做的 | 
| [08:47] | As a lawyer, | 作为一个律师 | 
| [08:49] | I don’t see much merit in this case. | 我看不到这个案子有什么价值 | 
| [08:52] | They killed him, Rebecca. | 他们杀了他,Rebecca | 
| [08:54] | They drove him to take his life. | 他们促成他自杀的 | 
| [09:04] | I guess they’re going solicitation. | 我想他们是在下套 | 
| [09:07] | I kind of went into shock when he was reading me. | 我听到他向我宣读权力的时候有些震惊 | 
| [09:09] | Wait a second. Alan Neel really did kill Hinks? | 停一下,Alan Neel 杀了Hinks? | 
| [09:14] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [09:15] | And how did they connect it to you? | 那又怎么和你联系到一起了? | 
| [09:18] | I met with Alan the night before. | 那晚之前我和Alan见过面 | 
| [09:22] | I told him to scare Hinks. | 我让他去吓唬一下Alan | 
| [09:26] | and now Alan is evidently claiming | 而现在Alan明确声称 | 
| [09:28] | that I asked him to kill Hinks. | 是我唆使他去杀Hinks的 | 
| [09:32] | He was wearing a wire. | 他戴着窃听器 | 
| [09:34] | I think he’s made some kind of deal, | 我想他和检方达成了某种交易 | 
| [09:36] | and now they’re after me. | 现在他们是在追查我 | 
| [09:40] | They’re after me. | 追查我 | 
| [09:49] | Case 32899, Commonwealth Vs Robert Donnell. | 案件号32899,联邦诉Robert Donnell | 
| [09:54] | Breaking and entering with intent to commit felonious assault, | 强行侵入他人住宅,意图实施行凶殴打 | 
| [09:57] | conspiracy to commit murder and felony murder, | 密谋和唆使谋杀重罪 | 
| [10:01] | and murder in the first degree. | 以及一级谋杀罪 | 
| [10:03] | Eugene Young for the defendant. | Eugene Young为被告辩护 | 
| [10:06] | We enter a plea of not guilty on all counts. | 我们对所有罪名提出无罪抗辩 | 
| [10:08] | I also ask that my client be released on his own recognizance. | 我还要求对我的客户予以无保候审 | 
| [10:11] | Given the severity of the charges, the Commonwealth opposes bail. | 鉴于指控的严重性,州捡反对保释 | 
| [10:14] | He’s not a flight risk, nor is he a threat to society. | 他没有潜逃风险,也不对社会构成威胁 | 
| [10:17] | Obviously Mr. Donnell has strong roots in the community. | 很明显,Donnell先生在社区中有很密切的关系 | 
| [10:20] | He’s a respected member of the bar… | 他是酒吧里受人尊敬的成员 | 
| [10:21] | I don’t know to which bar my colleague is referring. | 我不知道我这同行指的是哪个酒吧 | 
| [10:25] | I’m setting bail at $100,000, $10,000 bond. | 保释金是100000美元,10000美元的债券 | 
| [10:28] | Let’s conference later for a trial date. | 稍后我们确定庭审日期 | 
| [10:30] | Anything else? | 还有别的事吗? | 
| [10:33] | Adjourned. | 休庭 | 
| [10:40] | We’ll get the bail posted. It’ll take about an hour. | 我们去筹集保释金,大概一个小时 | 
| [10:42] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [10:43] | Hey. | 嘿 | 
| [10:44] | You okay? | 你还好吧? | 
| [10:46] | Yeah. | 嗯 | 
| [10:47] | We got to take him. | 我们要把他带走 | 
| [10:48] | I’m going with him. | 我和他一起 | 
| [10:49] | I don’t think that would be… | 我不认为应该这样。。。 | 
| [10:50] | Then don’t think, then. I’m going. | 别多虑了,我走了 | 
| [10:53] | You hear the counts? | 你听到罪状了吗? | 
| [10:54] | Yeah. | 嗯 | 
| [10:56] | They’re not just going solicitation. | 他们不仅仅是给他设局 | 
| [10:58] | They’re charging first degree. | 他们按一级谋杀起诉了 | 
| [11:05] | Okay, 4:00. I appreciate that. | 好的,4点,多谢 | 
| [11:08] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [11:08] | See you then. | 到时候见 | 
| [11:11] | There’s a surprise. He’s coming here. | 太意外了,他要来这里了 | 
| [11:15] | Who? | 谁? | 
| [11:16] | The managing partner of the law firm Karen wants me to sue. | Karen要我起诉的那家律师事务所的执行合伙人 | 
| [11:19] | Rebecca, don’t get me wrong. | Rebecca,别误会我的意思 | 
| [11:21] | I love the underdog, but… | 我同情弱者,但。。。 | 
| [11:22] | She’s a friend. She wants to do it. | 她是我的朋友,她想这么做 | 
| [11:25] | Maybe I can scare up some nuisance change. Who knows? | 也许我能勉强让这些麻烦事有些转机,谁知道呢? | 
| [11:39] | How’d it go? | 情况怎么样? | 
| [11:44] | Obviously it all comes down to the credibility of Mr. Neel. | 显然,这都取决于Neel的可信度 | 
| [11:48] | The reason for this assemblage… | 我们聚在这里的原因是 | 
| [11:51] | I do not want this one slipping away. | 我不想失去这次机会 | 
| [11:53] | Robert Donnell is an enemy to this department. | Robert Donnell是我们的敌人 | 
| [11:56] | Three years ago, he tipped off his drug clients | 三年前,他给他的毒贩客户通报了 | 
| [11:59] | to an upcoming police raid, | 将要进行的警察的突袭行动 | 
| [12:00] | which led to the shooting death of two officers. | 导致了两名警官被射杀 | 
| [12:03] | He has routinely manipulated the judicial process | 他一贯操纵司法程序 | 
| [12:06] | to prevent murderers from being incarcerated, | 阻碍凶手被监禁 | 
| [12:08] | and he has embarrassed us all while doing so. | 他这样做让我们所有人都很难堪 | 
| [12:11] | As far as this office is concerned, | 就这个办公室而言 | 
| [12:13] | this prosecution is payback. | 这次起诉是一种报复性的 | 
| [12:16] | Now, you will all be assigned specific roles… | 现在,你们都将被分配特定的任务。。。 | 
| [12:18] | Excuse me. | 打断一下 | 
| [12:20] | Yes? | 嗯? | 
| [12:20] | Nobody wants to beat Bobby Donnell more than I do, | 没有人比我更想拿下Bobby Donnell了 | 
| [12:23] | but this thing being politicized… | 但这件事政治化了。。。 | 
| [12:26] | I beg your pardon? | 请再说一遍? | 
| [12:28] | It’s one thing to charge him on the facts of this case, | 在这个案子上依据事实对他起诉是一回事 | 
| [12:32] | but his previous history with the department | 但他和州检过往的恩怨 | 
| [12:34] | should have no bearing on this prosecution, | 应该和这次起诉没有关联 | 
| [12:37] | and I think a departmental vendetta… | 而且我认为他和州检的恩怨。。。 | 
| [12:39] | That’s not what this is. | 不是这样的 | 
| [12:40] | It sure sounds like it. | 可听起来就是这样的 | 
| [12:44] | Bobby Donnell’s previous history with this department | Bobby Donnell和州检过往的恩怨 | 
| [12:46] | is only relevant to the extent that it will be played up in the press. | 只与新闻媒体的报道程度有关 | 
| [12:50] | Given the added attention to this case, | 鉴于这个案子的被关注程度 | 
| [12:52] | I’m concerned from a public relations standpoint, | 我从公共关系的立场出发 | 
| [12:54] | and therefore I think it’s important that we all do a good job. | 因此我认为我们都做好工作是很重要的 | 
| [12:58] | That’s not what you said, Martin. | 你说的不是这个,Martin | 
| [13:00] | That’s what I’m saying now, Richard. | 我现在就是说的这意思,Richard | 
| [13:04] | May I continue? | 我能继续了吗? | 
| [13:14] | Why didn’t you tell me? | 你为什么要告诉我? | 
| [13:15] | Please don’t start. | 别问了 | 
| [13:17] | I’m not trying to start, Bobby, | 我没有打算追问,Bobby。 | 
| [13:19] | but you bring this Neel guy in, | 但你把Neel这个人扯进来 | 
| [13:22] | you tell him to scare Hinks, | 你让他去恐吓Hinks | 
| [13:23] | Hinks ends up dead, | Hinks最终死了 | 
| [13:24] | and you say nothing to me? | 而你什么都不告诉我? | 
| [13:27] | It had to have been eating you. | 这必定使你一直很烦恼 | 
| [13:33] | Could I have a second with him? | 我能和他谈一下吗? | 
| [13:35] | Sure. Why should I know what the hell is going on? | 好的,我干嘛要知道出了什么鬼事情? | 
| [13:39] | I’m only married to him. | 我只是嫁给了他而已 | 
| [13:52] | They’re giving Neel manslaughter, 20 years. | 他们给Neel开了20年的过失杀人罪条件 | 
| [13:56] | In exchange for his testimony against me? | 来换得针对我的证词吗? | 
| [13:58] | Yeah. I’m bringing a motion to kick a couple of counts, | 是的,我要提出一个动议来否决几项指控 | 
| [14:02] | the most serious being felony murder. | 其中最严重的是重罪谋杀 (重罪谋杀是指在实行某种重罪的时候, 意外造成被害人或第三方的死亡) | 
| [14:04] | That’s where you’re the most vulnerable. | 那些是你的软肋 | 
| [14:07] | Felony murder? How can they charge that? | 重罪谋杀?他们怎么能提出这项指控? | 
| [14:11] | Breaking and entering. | 强行侵入 (这里指强行侵入是重罪,也就是说强行侵入 是重罪谋杀成立的前提重罪条件) | 
| [14:13] | Oh, please. That can’t stand. | 噢,拜托,那站不住脚 | 
| [14:15] | Well, if it does, you’re in trouble, | 如果真是这样,你就有麻烦了 | 
| [14:16] | and I don’t need to tell you that. | 我不需要告诉你为什么 | 
| [14:22] | I’m going to say this once because I have to say it once, | 我只说一次,因为我必须要说一次 | 
| [14:25] | then I’ll move on. | 然后你就爱干嘛干嘛吧 | 
| [14:27] | Your sending a known criminal, | 你派了一个惯犯 | 
| [14:30] | a murderer, no less, | 不亚于一个杀手 | 
| [14:31] | to visit Hinks was perhaps the dumbest thing | 去找Hinks,这是件愚蠢的事 | 
| [14:33] | I’ve ever known you to do. | 我以前就知道你这么做过 | 
| [14:34] | You put yourself at risk, | 你把自己置于险地 | 
| [14:36] | you jeopardized this firm. | 你危害了这家事务所 | 
| [14:38] | Now, I know you were acting as a worried husband, | 现在,我知道你成为了一个不省心的丈夫 | 
| [14:41] | but, Bobby, if stupidity were a crime, | 但是,Bobby,如果愚蠢是一种犯罪的话 | 
| [14:44] | your ass would be serving life. | 你应该坐一辈子牢 | 
| [14:51] | Now let’s turn to your defense. | 现在我们来谈谈你的辩护策略 | 
| [14:55] | Before we get to that, Eugene. | 在我们开始之前,Eugene | 
| [14:59] | I’m about to have a baby. | 我快有孩子了 | 
| [15:01] | I’m going on trial for murder. | 我也要因谋杀被起诉 | 
| [15:04] | I’m in no position… | 我不适于。。。 | 
| [15:08] | I should say condition to be running this firm. | 我应该是指经营这家事务所的条件了 | 
| [15:14] | I won’t be till this thing is over. | 我不想等到这事结束 | 
| [15:17] | I’m appointing you pro tem senior partner. | 我安排你作为最高合伙人 | 
| [15:21] | I’m not passing on a title here. | 我这不是转给你一个头衔 | 
| [15:23] | I’m just assigning responsibility. | 而是移交责任 | 
| [15:31] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [15:36] | I worked all the associates. | 我给所有的员工以工作压力 | 
| [15:38] | We were doing massive class actions. | 我们在从事大型团队工作 | 
| [15:39] | -You worked Keith in a way… -Karen. | 你给Keith施压是采用。。。Karen | 
| [15:42] | Mr. Bannish, | Bannish先生 | 
| [15:43] | I obviously know what it’s like to work in a law firm. | 我当然知道在律师事务所是怎样工作的 | 
| [15:45] | Can I stop you there, Ms. Washington? | 我能打断你吗,Washington女士? | 
| [15:47] | With all due respect to your practice, | 对于你的业务,恕我直言 | 
| [15:48] | you have no experience with class-action product liability work. | 你没有产品索赔集体诉讼方面的经验 | 
| [15:52] | Keith was on a toxic waste case involving 3200 plaintiffs. | Keith在处理一个涉及3200名原告的有毒废物案件 | 
| [15:57] | This kind of… | 这种案子。。。 | 
| [15:57] | I understand that, | 我懂这些 | 
| [15:58] | and I know associates are expected to put in long hours, | 而且我知道员工被要求长时间地工作 | 
| [16:02] | but you also know, sir, | 但是先生,你也知道 | 
| [16:03] | -the eggshell doctrine and… -Meaning? | 蛋壳原则。 这意味着? | 
| [16:05] | Meaning you take your plaintiffs as you find them, | 意味着当你侵害到你的原告时 | 
| [16:07] | and the fact that Keith had an underlying psychological condition | Keith患有潜在性心理疾病的情况 | 
| [16:10] | is not a complete defense. | 不能用于辩护 | 
| [16:12] | “鸡蛋壳原告”规则,它使被告对其过失造成的一切损害负责, (尽管由于原告先前存在的身体虚弱, 他们被证明比正常人更容易受害) | |
| [16:15] | I loved Keith. | 我爱Keith | 
| [16:16] | Oh, please. | 噢,少来了 | 
| [16:18] | Whether you want to believe that, Karen, I did, | 不管你们时候相信这点,Karen,我是的 | 
| [16:19] | and his death was shocking to all of us, | 他的死让我们所有人感到震惊 | 
| [16:22] | but we never, ever verbally abused him. | 但我们从来没有辱骂过他 | 
| [16:25] | Did you call him at 1:00 in the morning? | 你有没有在凌晨一点给他打电话? | 
| [16:27] | Yes, but that’s the job. | 有,但那是因为工作 | 
| [16:28] | He asked for time off the week before his death. | 在死前,他要求一周的休假 | 
| [16:31] | You wouldn’t even… | 你甚至都不愿。。。 | 
| [16:32] | It was also a week before the trial. I couldn’t. | 那正是开庭前的一周,我不能答应 | 
| [16:34] | All right, look, Mr. Bannish, | 好了,Bannish先生,你看 | 
| [16:37] | we’re not blaming you for Keith’s death. | 我们不会因为基思的死而归咎于你 | 
| [16:39] | I am. | 可我是的 | 
| [16:40] | Karen. | Karen | 
| [16:42] | We’re merely saying a lot of factors came into play. | 我们只是说很多因素起了作用 | 
| [16:48] | The pressure of work, | 工作的压力 | 
| [16:49] | the long hours | 长时间的 | 
| [16:50] | those were some of the factors. | 这些是一些因素 | 
| [16:53] | We’re suggesting you take some responsibility. | 我们建议你们承担一些责任 | 
| [17:01] | Richard. | Richard | 
| [17:04] | Listen, | 听我说 | 
| [17:05] | I thought about what you said, | 我考虑了你所说的 | 
| [17:07] | and, well, I agree. | 而且,是的,我同意 | 
| [17:08] | It would be wrong to politicize this. | 把这事政治化是错误的 | 
| [17:10] | It’s also probably overkill | 组建一支庞大的地区律师队伍 | 
| [17:13] | to assemble a big army of district attorneys, | 也可能是过分了些 | 
| [17:15] | so I’m scaling it down. | 所以我打算削减 | 
| [17:17] | You’re no longer on the case. | 你不会再参与这个案子了 | 
| [17:19] | We’ll have you reassigned. | 我们会重新安排你 | 
| [17:20] | Thanks for your work thus far. | 感谢您迄今为止所做的工作 | 
| [17:24] | I’m off the case because I don’t like what you’re doing? | 我是因为不喜欢你的做法而被赶出局的吧? | 
| [17:27] | Again, thank you for your work to date. | 再次感谢您迄今为止所做的工作 | 
| [17:39] | First priority | 重中之重 | 
| [17:40] | we need to kick the felony murder charge. | 我们要拿掉重罪谋杀指控 | 
| [17:42] | If that count stands, | 如果这个指控成立 | 
| [17:44] | all they really need to prove is that | 他们真正需要证明 | 
| [17:45] | Bobby sent Neel to break into Hinks’ house. | 是Bobby指使Neel闯入Hinks住宅即可 | 
| [17:47] | It’s no defense that he didn’t intend for Hinks to be killed. | 而Bobby没有意图杀死Hinks这一点,无法对重罪谋杀的指控起到辩护效果 | 
| [17:51] | This count must be dismissed. | 这条指控必须被驳回 | 
| [17:53] | Ellenor. | Ellenor | 
| [17:54] | I’m already on it. | 我已经开始做这个了 | 
| [17:56] | Second, privilege. | 第二,免责权 | 
| [17:57] | This is huge. | 这很重要 | 
| [17:58] | We have to go after Neel’s credibility. | 因为我们必须要紧紧打击Neel的可信度 | 
| [18:00] | Unfortunately, a lot of stuff we have on him | 但不幸的是,我们所知道的他的很多事 | 
| [18:02] | we learned through attorney-client privilege. | 都是凭借律师-客户特权得到的 | 
| [18:05] | Now we need to be able to use it. | 现在我们需要能有权使用这些 | 
| [18:07] | Lindsay? | Lindsay? | 
| [18:08] | Got it. | 我明白 | 
| [18:09] | Third, they gave Neel manslaughter. | 第三,他们给Neel开出过失杀人的条件 | 
| [18:12] | I’m not sure you can tag conspiracy charges with manslaughter. | 我不确定用过失杀人为由来附带起诉共谋指控是否合理 | 
| [18:16] | Bobby, why don’t you research that? | Bobby,你为什么不研究一下这条呢? | 
| [18:18] | There’s no reason we can’t put you to work. | 没有我们不能安排你工作的理由 | 
| [18:20] | Thanks. | 好吧 | 
| [18:22] | Fourth… | 第四 | 
| [18:26] | This firm. | 这个事务所 | 
| [18:31] | We’re in trouble. | 我们陷入困境了 | 
| [18:33] | We may be a partnership, | 我们虽然是合伙人关系 | 
| [18:36] | but the face of this place is Bobby. | 但Bobby是这里的招牌 | 
| [18:38] | Even if we beat this, | 即使我们这次赢了 | 
| [18:39] | our reputation has taken a big hit. | 我们的声誉也会受到很大的损害 | 
| [18:41] | Clients may want to bail on us. | 客户们或许会考虑离开我们 | 
| [18:42] | Potential clients will be less likely to come. | 潜在的客户更不太可能来了 | 
| [18:45] | I want to retain a publicist. | 我打算雇用一个公关专家 | 
| [18:47] | That could be expensive, but we need to do it. | 费用会很高,但我们需要这样做 | 
| [18:50] | Also, we have two partners about to have babies. | 而且,我们有两个合伙人要有孩子了 | 
| [18:53] | We need to hire. | 我们需要招人 | 
| [18:54] | As of now, we have a hiring committee. | 现在,我们组成一个招聘委员会 | 
| [18:56] | Ellenor, Lindsay, you co-chair. | Ellenor, Lindsay,你主持工作 | 
| [18:58] | We have to become as systemized as we can | 我们必须要尽可能地有组织化 | 
| [19:01] | because right now clients will be looking for us to fall apart. | 因为当前客户们会预期我们要垮掉 | 
| [19:04] | Disorganization, any disorganization will fuel that perception. | 混乱,任何混乱都会加深这种看法 | 
| [19:10] | Rebecca, Walter Bannish is here. | Rebecca,Walter Bannish来了 | 
| [19:15] | Mr. Bannish. | Bannish先生 | 
| [19:16] | Hello. | 你好 | 
| [19:18] | Look, | 是这样的 | 
| [19:20] | I still contest any liability on our part. | 我依然否认我们这边有任何责任 | 
| [19:23] | But the negative publicity of a lawsuit | 但是诉讼带来的负面效应 | 
| [19:25] | I don’t want it out there that we’re a sweatshop. | 我不希望这些传出去搞得我们是一个血汗工厂似的 | 
| [19:27] | So I’m willing to make an offer to make this go away. | 所以我打算做个交易把这事解决掉 | 
| [19:31] | One time offer, take it or leave it. | 一次性的,要么接受,要么拒绝 | 
| [19:33] | Okay. What is it? | 好吧,什么样的开价? | 
| [19:34] | $500,000. | 五十万美金 | 
| [19:39] | Payable now? | 立即支付吗? | 
| [19:41] | Payable upon signing the release, yes, | 是的,签署后就支付 | 
| [19:43] | and a complete confidentiality agreement. | 还有一个完整的保密协议 | 
| [19:46] | Well, I will take it to my client | 好吧,我和我的客户谈谈 | 
| [19:49] | and let you know tomorrow. | 明天给你答复 | 
| [19:52] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [19:53] | No, thank you. | 谢谢你才对 | 
| [19:53] | Good night. | 晚安 | 
| [20:05] | Bec? Bec? | |
| [20:07] | You remember my suicide case | 你还记得我做的这个自杀案子吗? | 
| [20:09] | wrongful death, no merits? | 意外死亡,没有什么亮点 | 
| [20:12] | Yeah. It was your friend. | 嗯,那是因为你的朋友 | 
| [20:13] | Nuisance change just came in, $500,000. | 有些让人烦乱的变化,开价五十万美金 | 
| [20:20] | What? | 什么? | 
| [20:24] | What are we missing? | 我们忽略掉了些什么吗? | 
| [20:32] | I’m not saying the case against him is bogus. | 我不是在说针对他的这个案子是伪造出来的 | 
| [20:34] | It isn’t, | 不是的 | 
| [20:35] | but there’s a lynch mob mentality going on which is bogus. | 但是这种私刑心理导致这案子成为伪造的了 | 
| [20:38] | They don’t really think Bobby ordered a hit, do they? | 他们不是真的认为Bobby指使杀人的,是吗? | 
| [20:40] | It doesn’t matter. | 这无关紧要 | 
| [20:41] | They’re out to get him, | 他们意图抓到他 | 
| [20:42] | and they think he was at least reckless, | 并且他们认为他至少是胆大妄为的 | 
| [20:44] | which is all they may need to prove. | 他们证实这些就足够了 | 
| [20:46] | Helen. | Helen | 
| [20:48] | Lindsay. | Lindsay | 
| [20:49] | Make it go away. | 把这案子撤诉 | 
| [20:51] | Lindsay, I’m not sure… | Lindsay,我不确定。。。 | 
| [20:52] | He is not a murderer. | 他不是谋杀犯 | 
| [20:53] | I’m calling in a favor. | 我来请你帮个忙 | 
| [20:55] | Make it go away. | 撤诉吧 | 
| [20:56] | Lindsay, I can’t. | Lindsay,我做不到 | 
| [20:57] | This is upstairs. | (这事不归我们管) | 
| [20:58] | Then take the stairs, Helen. | (那就去找管事的),Helen | 
| [20:59] | Do whatever you have to do, | 尽你所能 | 
| [21:00] | but make it go away. | 把这事摆平 | 
| [21:16] | What? | 干嘛? | 
| [21:18] | I’m just looking. | 我只是看看而已 | 
| [21:35] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 | 
| [21:38] | He… | 他。。。 | 
| [21:41] | I got so afraid that he really might hurt you, | 我很害怕他真的会伤害你 | 
| [21:46] | and the reason I didn’t tell you is because | 我不告诉你的原因是 | 
| [21:49] | I knew this is not the kind of stress | 我知道你现在不应该 | 
| [21:51] | you need right now. | 承受这种压力 | 
| [21:53] | Bobby, I’m your wife. | Bobby,我是你妻子 | 
| [21:57] | I know this. | 我知道 | 
| [22:08] | What happens tomorrow? | 明天怎么打算? | 
| [22:11] | We have a motion to dismiss the felony murder count. | 我们提出了一个驳回重罪谋杀的动议 | 
| [22:15] | If you lose… | 如果你输了。。。 | 
| [22:17] | Lindsay, their whole case is the word of a career criminal. | Lindsay,他们整个案子都是基于一个职业罪犯的证词 | 
| [22:21] | They can’t satisfy their burden with that. | 他们无法充分举证 | 
| [22:23] | They just can’t. | 他们做不到的 | 
| [22:29] | I’ve never seen you look so scared. | 我从没有看到你显得这么害怕 | 
| [22:34] | We’ll beat this, Bobby. | 我们这次会赢的,Bobby | 
| [22:36] | We’ll put the whole firm on it if we have to. | 有必要的话,我们会倾尽整个事务所的力量 | 
| [22:53] | That’s fantastic. | 太好了 | 
| [22:55] | Yeah, I thought you’d be pleased. | 是的,我想你会高兴的 | 
| [22:58] | Well, I guess he admits he’s responsible after all. | 好了,我想他是最终承认了他的责任 | 
| [23:03] | I can’t quite believe it, but… | 我不能非常确信,但。。。 | 
| [23:05] | Thank you so much, Rebecca. | 太谢谢你了,Rebecca | 
| [23:06] | You have no idea how much I could use this money, too. | 你不知道我多需要能用到这笔钱 | 
| [23:10] | And I’ll get it today when I sign the confidentiality agreement? | 我签了保密协议就可以今天拿到这笔钱吗? | 
| [23:16] | I never mentioned any confidentiality agreement. | 我从未提到什么保密协议 | 
| [23:19] | How’d you know about that? | 你怎么知道的? | 
| [23:21] | Oh, well, I’m assuming. | 噢,好吧,我是假设的 | 
| [23:24] | My husband was a lawyer, Bec. | 我丈夫是个律师,Bec。 | 
| [23:25] | I know how these things work. | 我知道这事该怎么办 | 
| [23:26] | I’m assuming the settlement will be sealed. | 我假设这个解决方案会被封存的 | 
| [23:28] | Well, why don’t you fill me in on how things work, Karen, | 好吧,Karen,为什么你不把这事情的全部都告诉我 | 
| [23:32] | or how they’re working here? | 或者,他们现在再干什么? | 
| [23:35] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么? | 
| [23:36] | Nobody hands over $500,000 after one meeting. | 没有人会在开一次会议之后就拿出50万美金来 | 
| [23:39] | No discovery, even. | 甚至没有经过开示证据程序 | 
| [23:40] | He just says, “Okay, here’s a check.” | 他就直接说:“好吧,这是支票” | 
| [23:42] | What’s going on? | 搞什么鬼? | 
| [23:43] | I might ask the same question. | 我也有同样的疑问 | 
| [23:45] | We’ve been friends a long time, | 我们是很久的朋友了 | 
| [23:47] | and you tapped into that friendship to get me to represent you here. | 你利用我和你的友情,让我代理你 | 
| [23:51] | Be straight with me, Karen, | 跟我讲实话吧,Karen | 
| [23:53] | or I’ll start asking my questions in other places. | 否则我就会在别的场合来质问你了 | 
| [24:06] | Walter Bannish embezzled a lot of money from client trust funds, | Walter Bannish 从客户信托基金中盗取了大量资金 | 
| [24:11] | and Keith went along with it. | Keith 也参与其中 | 
| [24:14] | And his guilt, I’m convinced, | 我确信他的负罪感 | 
| [24:16] | contributed to his depression. | 促成了他的抑郁症 | 
| [24:18] | I went to Mr. Bannish, | 我去找 Bannish先生 | 
| [24:19] | and I accused him of contributing to my husband’s suicide, | 我指责他促成了我丈夫的自杀 | 
| [24:21] | and I wanted to be compensated. | 我想要得到补偿 | 
| [24:24] | So why didn’t he just pay you off then? | 他那时为什么没有给你补偿算了? | 
| [24:27] | He said, “It sounds like you’re accusing me of wrongful death. | 他说:“这看起来像是因为一个意外死亡而指控我” | 
| [24:30] | Perhaps you should sue the firm, | “也许你应该指控这个事务所” | 
| [24:32] | and then we’ll settle the matter.” | “他们会处理这件事的” | 
| [24:33] | He needed to be sued to get his firm to pay the money. | 他需要去起诉这家事务所以获得赔偿 | 
| [24:37] | And that’s why you insisted I draw up a complaint and file it | 这也就是你坚持让我提出书面指控的原因 | 
| [24:40] | so he basically could defraud his own partners. | 他实际上就可以欺骗自己的合伙人了 | 
| [24:46] | Karen, this is extortion. | Karen,这是欺诈 | 
| [24:48] | I won’t be part of it. | 我不会参与的 | 
| [24:49] | Excuse me, Rebecca, | 不好意思,Rebecca | 
| [24:50] | but you’re not a part of anything | 但是你除了合法诉讼之外 | 
| [24:51] | but a legitimate lawsuit. | 什么也不用管 | 
| [24:54] | I went to Mr. Bannish, | 我去找Bannish先生 | 
| [24:55] | and he advised me I’d have to sue him | 他建议我在他给我一个硬币前 | 
| [24:56] | before he’d give me a nickel, | 必须要起诉他 | 
| [24:57] | and I did sue him, | 我于是就起诉了他 | 
| [24:59] | and we’ve settled the matter. | 而且我们已经办妥了这事 | 
| [25:00] | You have no evidence of extortion. | 你也没有欺诈的证据 | 
| [25:02] | Karen | Karen | 
| [25:03] | Please notify Mr. Bannish I accept his offer. | 通知Bannish先生,我接受他的提议 | 
| [25:11] | By the way, no need to thank me | 顺便说一下,不用谢我 | 
| [25:15] | for the easiest contingency you’ve ever earned in your life. | 这是你一生中最轻易赚到的意外收获 | 
| [25:17] | Over $150,000 for one day’s work. | 一天赚了超过15万美金 | 
| [25:21] | You’re welcome. | 不用谢 | 
| [25:32] | There is no legal basis for the charge of felony murder. | 这个案子中没有合法的依据支持对重罪谋杀的指控 | 
| [25:35] | Breaking and entering a dwelling to commit a felonious assault | 强行侵入他人住宅去实施行凶殴打 | 
| [25:38] | is a sufficient predicate to felony murder. | 就是重罪谋杀的充分依据 | 
| [25:40] | There’s case law… | 有一个判例。。。 | 
| [25:41] | To charge the person who did the actual breaking and entering. | 那是用于指控实施强行侵入的当事人的 | 
| [25:44] | There is absolutely no case law | 但绝对没有 | 
| [25:46] | charging the alleged accessory with felony murder. | 用重罪谋杀来指控从犯的判例 | 
| [25:49] | Any person can be charged as an accessory to any felony. | 任何人都可以被指控为任何重罪的从犯 | 
| [25:52] | Yes, well, no one ever has under these circumstances, | 是,但没有人会在这种情况下 | 
| [25:55] | and suddenly, with Bobby Donnell… | 莫名其妙地,Bobby Donnell。。。 | 
| [25:57] | Even if Bobby Donnell did not conspire to kill William Hinks, | 即使Bobby Donnell没有阴谋杀害William Hinks | 
| [26:00] | he gave Mr. Neel William Hinks’ address | 但他把William Hinks的地址给了Neel | 
| [26:02] | and dispatched him to his home. | 然后派他去了那里 | 
| [26:04] | Mr. Neel broke into that home. | Neel非法侵入 | 
| [26:06] | A murder resulting from a breaking and entering | 因非法侵入引起的谋杀 | 
| [26:09] | is the exact scenario the legislature had in mind | 这是立法机构在制定重罪谋杀判定准则时 | 
| [26:12] | when passing the felony murder rule. | 所构想的确定场景 | 
| [26:14] | There is no evidence that my client was a part of any breaking and entering. | 没有证据显示我的客户和任何非法入侵有关 | 
| [26:19] | We have a statement from the actual killer. | 我们有一个来自实际行凶者的坦白 | 
| [26:21] | That would be considered evidence. | 那是可以被认定为证据的 | 
| [26:23] | Your honor, they know they can’t prove this crime. | 法官大人,他们明知自己无法证明犯罪行为 | 
| [26:26] | They can’t show intent, | 他们不能呈现出(犯罪)意图 | 
| [26:28] | so the prosecution is charging felony murder | 所以检方提出重罪谋杀指控 | 
| [26:30] | to circumvent their burden of proof. | 试图回避他们的举证责任 | 
| [26:32] | Yes, well, unless I’m missing something, | 没错,好吧,除非我忽略了什么 | 
| [26:34] | that is one of the very reasons we have the felony murder rule | 减少检方举证责任 | 
| [26:38] | to lower the prosecution’s burden. | 的确是我们制定重罪谋杀原则的一条重要理由 | 
| [26:41] | If you look at all the cases where this rule has been applied… | 如果您审视一遍所有使用这个规则的案子。。。 | 
| [26:44] | The function of the court is not to look… | 法庭的职能不是去审视。。。 | 
| [26:45] | There is no predicate felony to support these charges. | 这个案子不存在什么重犯去支持重罪谋杀的指控 | 
| [26:49] | This amounts to selective prosecution against a defense attorney they don’t like… | 完全就是对他们所不喜欢的辩方律师进行选择性指控。。。 | 
| [26:53] | There is absolutely no evidence of selective prosecution in this case, | 绝对没有证据说明这个案子是选择性起诉 | 
| [26:57] | and as for a predicate felony, you’ve got several… | 说到作为依据的重罪,可以举出好几个。。。 | 
| [27:01] | aiding and abetting a felonious assault, | 协助和教唆 | 
| [27:03] | breaking and entering… | 破门而入。。。 | 
| [27:04] | Bobby Donnell’s wife was being threatened. | 可是Bobby Donnell的妻子遭到了威胁 | 
| [27:06] | He sent Alan Neel to scare Mr. Hinks, to warn him. | 他只是派Alan Neel去警告Hinks | 
| [27:12] | Alan Neel committed a supervening act of murder, | 是Alan Neel实施了谋杀 | 
| [27:15] | and now the prosecution is using the felony murder rule | 现在控方正在使用重罪谋杀规则 | 
| [27:19] | as a means to get Bobby Donnell. | 作为指控Bobby Donnell的一种手段 | 
| [27:22] | That is what is going on. | 这就是现在发生的事! | 
| [27:23] | That’s what’s going on. | 这就是现在发生的事! | 
| [27:25] | Bobby Donnell sent a known killer out to threaten a man. | Bobby Donnell指使一个谋杀惯犯去威胁别人 | 
| [27:29] | Is it really unforeseeable that a murder happened? | 导致谋杀的后果难道真是不可预料到的吗? | 
| [27:41] | Did he rule? | 判决出来了吗? | 
| [27:43] | Not yet. | 还没有 | 
| [27:51] | I’m sorry, Bobby. | 对不起,Bobby | 
| [27:52] | You did fine, Ellenor. | 你做得很好, Ellenor | 
| [27:55] | I got my ass kicked. | 我被揍得很惨 | 
| [27:57] | Let’s just admit it. I just got my ass kicked. | 老老实实承认吧,我被搞得很惨 | 
| [28:00] | He took it under advisement. | 法官在慎重考虑 | 
| [28:03] | Anything could happen. | 什么结果都有可能 | 
| [28:04] | Listen, I have a little problem myself. | 听着,我遇到了些麻烦 | 
| [28:09] | My $500,000 settlement | 我那个50万美金和解协议 | 
| [28:12] | I think it was the result of extortion. | 我觉得那是源于欺诈 | 
| [28:15] | How so? | 怎么回事? | 
| [28:15] | Well, seems my client’s husband and the partner of his law firm | 唉,我的客户的丈夫和他的律师事务所 | 
| [28:18] | were involved in some sort of embezzlement scheme. | 似乎参与了某个贪污计划 | 
| [28:21] | Karen, my client, tried to extort Bannish. | 我的客户Karen,想去敲诈Bannish先生 | 
| [28:24] | Well, he basically steered her to sue his law firm | 接下来,总的来说是他引导她去起诉他的事务所 | 
| [28:26] | so all the partners would have to pay her. | 因此所有的合伙人都要赔付 | 
| [28:29] | I was used as a pawn. | 我则被当成一个工具 | 
| [28:30] | You know this for sure? | 你确信这些吗? | 
| [28:31] | Well, I know the embezzlement went on for sure. | 我知道贪污行为是确认无疑的 | 
| [28:34] | My client denies the lawsuit is anything but legitimate, | 我的客户不承认这是一个根本不合理的诉讼 | 
| [28:36] | but it’s just… | 这真是太。。。 | 
| [28:37] | it’s too suspicious. | 太诡异了 | 
| [28:38] | She demands to file a complaint. | 她要求递交诉状 | 
| [28:40] | The defendant then makes an offer with no discovery whatsoever. | 然后被告就赔偿了,甚至没有进行证据开示 | 
| [28:44] | It’s just way too suspicious. | 这也太可疑了 | 
| [28:47] | And what’s your problem? | 那你的困扰是什么? | 
| [28:50] | What’s my problem? | 我的困扰?! | 
| [28:53] | You have to ask me what’s my problem? | 你非得问我的困扰是什么? | 
| [28:55] | Unless you have proof the lawsuit is bogus. Do you? | 除非你有这是个伪造诉讼的证据,你有吗? | 
| [28:58] | No. | 没有 | 
| [28:59] | Then accept the offer and be done with it. | 那就接受条件,完事 | 
| [29:01] | Excuse me? | 什么? | 
| [29:02] | Well, if you do anything the queer the settlement, | 那么,如果你做了些对这个和解不利的事情 | 
| [29:05] | your client could have an action against us for the full amount. | 你的客户将会反诉我们来承担全额的赔付 | 
| [29:07] | This is not a money thing, Eugene. | 这不是钱的事,Eugene | 
| [29:09] | No, it’s a legal thing, Rebecca. | 是的,这是法律问题,Rebecca | 
| [29:11] | As I understand it, you sued under the theory of wrongful death. | 按我的理解,你是用意外致死的推论来起诉的 | 
| [29:15] | The defendant is settling under that theory. Accept. | 被告也是按着这个推论来处理的 | 
| [29:18] | But it’s not that simple… | 但这并不是那样的简单。。。 | 
| [29:19] | We do not need to be sued by a client at this time, Rebecca. | 这时候我们可不需要被客户来起诉,Rebecca | 
| [29:27] | Do you have specific knowledge that the lawsuit is bogus? | 你有什么特别的情报说明这个诉讼是伪造的? | 
| [29:31] | No. | 没有 | 
| [29:32] | Is your client instructing you to accept the terms of the settlement? | 你的客户要求你接受这个和解协议条款吗? | 
| [29:36] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [29:37] | Then that’s exactly what you do. | 这就是你应该去做的 | 
| [29:48] | Fine. | 好吧 | 
| [29:54] | Martin. | Martin | 
| [29:55] | Helen. | Helen | 
| [29:56] | What’s with the summons? | 这个传唤是怎么回事? | 
| [29:57] | Oh, all the witnesses are getting them, | 哦,所有的证人都会接到的 | 
| [29:59] | even those we can expect to be cooperative. | 尤其是那些我们期待得到合作的证人 | 
| [30:01] | Why do you want me to be a witness at all? | 你到底为什么要我做证人? | 
| [30:03] | Well, Helen, Lindsay Dole is a friend. | 这么说吧,Helen,Lindsay Dole是你的朋友 | 
| [30:06] | She asks you to pay a visit to William Hinks to threaten him. | 她请你去威胁William Hinks | 
| [30:09] | That has no relevance to Bobby Donnell’s actions. | 那和Bobby Donnell的行为没有关联 | 
| [30:11] | Perhaps not, but you’ll allow me to be curious. | 也许没有,但你应该允许我感到好奇 | 
| [30:14] | I’m not going to be a prosecutorial witness against Bobby Donnell. | 我不会去作为一名对Bobby Donnell不利的检方证人 | 
| [30:17] | I wouldn’t call on you to do anything but tell the truth. | 除了说出真相,我不会要你做别的事 | 
| [30:21] | Yes, well, experience, I’m sure, | 是吗,以我对自己经验的确信告诉你 | 
| [30:23] | tells you that even the most neutral witness | 即使最中立的证人 | 
| [30:25] | finds a way to get in his or her bias. | 也会找到表达他或她倾向的方式 | 
| [30:29] | Meaning? | 这意味着? | 
| [30:30] | The prosecution of Bobby Donnell is outrageous. | 对Bobby Donnell的指控是非常过分的 | 
| [30:33] | You don’t want me on the stand. Trust me. | 相信我,你不会真的想让我出庭的 | 
| [30:37] | Thanks for the warning. | 多谢警告 | 
| [30:39] | When I do call you, I’ll be sure to declare you a hostile witness. | 当我传唤你的时候,我一定声称你是敌对证人 | 
| [30:52] | The public defender representing Alan Neel is Bernard Shanly | 代表Alan Neel的公设律师是Bernard Shanly | 
| [30:55] | two years out of law school. | 从法律学校毕业两年 | 
| [30:57] | The DA must love him. | 检方一定对他很满意 | 
| [30:59] | He’s young, inexperienced. | 他年轻,没有经验 | 
| [31:01] | He’s got a decent reputation for a kid, but he’s a kid. | 他是个有良好声誉的新手,但他毕竟是个新手 | 
| [31:05] | Where can I find this kid? | 我到哪里找这个新手? | 
| [31:06] | PD’s office. | 地检办公室 | 
| [31:07] | He’s usually at arraignments, taking assignments. | 他通常负责提审,等待分配 | 
| [31:10] | Could visit him there. | 在那里可以找到他 | 
| [31:12] | That’s what I think I’ll do. | 那就是我要去做的 | 
| [31:18] | Oh, you two came together, did you? | 噢,你们俩一起来的,是吗? | 
| [31:21] | We came up on the same elevator. | 我们同一个电梯 | 
| [31:23] | Mm-hmm. | 哦,呵呵 | 
| [31:26] | Well, if we execute the documents, | 那么,如果我们按文件要求执行 | 
| [31:28] | I’ll give you a check. | 我会给你一张支票 | 
| [31:29] | -Your other partners don’t even… -Rebecca. | 你其他的那些合伙人甚至都没有。。。Rebecca | 
| [31:32] | We can go in the conference room. | 我们可以去会议室 | 
| [31:52] | Uh, Mr. Shanly? Eugene Young. | 呃,Shanly先生? 我是Eugene Young | 
| [31:54] | How you doing? | 你好 | 
| [31:55] | Fine. Good to meet you. | 谢谢,很高兴见到你 | 
| [31:57] | Likewise. Could I steal a second? | 我也是,能占用你一点时间吗? | 
| [32:01] | All I really want to do is talk to him. | 我想做的就是和他谈一谈 | 
| [32:04] | I just can’t advise that. | 我真的不建议这样做 | 
| [32:06] | Could I ask why? | 我能知道为什么吗? | 
| [32:07] | Well until he signs his proffer, | 直到他签了认罪协议为止 | 
| [32:09] | I don’t want to do anything to screw up the plea. | 我可不希望搞砸了这个协议 | 
| [32:11] | Manslaughter, 20 years. | 过失杀人,20年监禁 | 
| [32:15] | Can I ask, why’d you advise him to go for that? | 我能问问你,为什么你建议他接受那样的协议? | 
| [32:19] | Well, they have videotape of his going in, | 唔,他们有他闯入的视频 | 
| [32:22] | audiotape of the attack. | 行凶时的录音 | 
| [32:23] | I understand, but his going in proves nothing and the audiotape… | 我理解,但他闯入并不能证明什么,并且这录音。。。 | 
| [32:28] | well, I haven’t heard it yet. | 唔,我还没有听过 | 
| [32:30] | I have. You can actually hear the beginning of the attack. | 我听过,你确实可以听到最初的攻击行为 | 
| [32:32] | Even so, can we be absolutely sure how the attack began? | 即使这样,我们可以绝对确定袭击是怎么开始的吗? | 
| [32:37] | Is it possible Mr. Hinks rushed him? | 是否有可能是Hinks先生攻击他的? | 
| [32:39] | Didn’t sound like it. | 听起来不太像是这样 | 
| [32:41] | Didn’t sound like it? I asked is it possible? | 听起来不像?我问的是有可能吗? | 
| [32:43] | Are you cross-examining me? | 你是在交叉盘问我吗? | 
| [32:45] | I don’t mean to, but if there is that possibility… | 我不是那个意思,但是,如果有这种可能。。。 | 
| [32:50] | Let’s face it, Bernard. | 让我们正视现实吧,Bernard | 
| [32:52] | William Hinks was a serial killer. | William Hinks是个连环杀手 | 
| [32:53] | The idea that he might have tried to kill Alan Neel is not beyond… | 如果说他想杀了Alan Neel的话,也不过分。。。 | 
| [32:56] | That didn’t happen. | 可那并没有发生 | 
| [32:57] | Were you there? | 你在现场吗? | 
| [32:58] | Look, what’s your point? | 好了,你到底要说明什么? | 
| [32:59] | My point is for you to jump at manslaughter | 我的看法是你没有充分考虑这么多选项, | 
| [33:02] | without so much as considering all these options | 而是急于接受过失杀人 | 
| [33:04] | was bad lawyering, Bernard, | 这是很差劲的律师执业,Bernard | 
| [33:06] | and if there’s any way you can still wiggle out of the plea bargain… | 如果找到什么办法,你仍然可以摆脱辩诉交易的 | 
| [33:08] | It’s a good deal for my client. | 这才是对你的客户有利的交易 | 
| [33:10] | Bernard, you’re young. | Bernard,你还年轻 | 
| [33:12] | The last thing you need to do… | 你最不应该做的事就是。。。 | 
| [33:13] | Please, don’t patronize me. | 摆脱,别在我这装逼了 | 
| [33:15] | I’m not trying to patronize you… | 我不是要跟你装逼 | 
| [33:16] | You are, and I don’t appreciate it. | 你就是,我才不领情呢! | 
| [33:18] | You made a mistake. | 你这是在犯错 | 
| [33:19] | If it’s possible to at all undo it… | 如果有可能可以取消。。。 | 
| [33:21] | Why? To help Bobby Donnell? He’s not… | 为什么?帮Bobby Donnell?他不是。。。 | 
| [33:24] | To help yourself. | 是帮你自己 | 
| [33:25] | It’s one thing to be thought of as inexperienced. | 被看成菜鸟是一回事 | 
| [33:28] | It’s quite another to be considered a prosecutorial bag man. | 而被看成是检方的帮凶,就是另一回事了 | 
| [33:31] | Goodbye. | 再见 | 
| [33:33] | Why do you think they asked for you, Bernard? | Bernard,你想过他们找你是为什么? | 
| [33:37] | The district attorney singled you out. | 地检挑选的你 | 
| [33:43] | Why is that? | 到底为什么? | 
| [33:47] | Look… I’m not trying to beat you up here, | 喂,我不打算在这打击你 | 
| [33:50] | but you’re a defense attorney. | 但你是一个辩护律师 | 
| [33:52] | You’re one of us, not them. | 你是我们的一员,而不是他们 | 
| [33:53] | I have to be on my client’s side. | 我必须站在我的客户一边 | 
| [33:56] | Let me at least talk to him. | 至少让我跟他谈谈 | 
| [33:58] | I won’t screw up your proffer. | 我不会破坏你的辩诉交易 | 
| [34:00] | I just want… | 我只是希望。。。 | 
| [34:00] | No, I can’t allow that. I can’t. | 不,我不允许那样,我不能 | 
| [34:03] | Just tell me this, then. | 那就告诉我 | 
| [34:05] | Is he going to say Bobby directed him to kill Hinks, | 是否他打算声称Bobby指使他去杀Hinks的 | 
| [34:08] | or will he just say he got the idea that that’s what Bobby wanted? | 或者他只会说他只是认为Bobby是这样希望的? | 
| [34:13] | There’s nothing equivocal about it. | 这没有什么模棱两可的 | 
| [34:15] | He will say Bobby Donnell hired him to kill William Hinks. | 他会说Bobby Donnell雇他去杀掉 William Hinks | 
| [34:23] | Eugene, we’re in. | Eugene,我们要进去了 | 
| [34:36] | Be seated. | 请坐吧 | 
| [34:44] | The first issue | 第一个问题 | 
| [34:46] | whether a defendant may be charged with conspiracy to commit murder | 当真正犯谋杀罪的人被判过失杀人罪时 | 
| [34:50] | when the one actually committing the murder is convicted of manslaughter? | 被告是否可能被指控犯有共谋杀人罪? | 
| [34:54] | The answer is yes. | 答案是:可以 | 
| [34:56] | Prosecutors must be given free reign to plea bargain. | 检察官必须被给与支配辩诉交易的自由 | 
| [35:00] | This falls within their discretion. | 这些属于检察官的自行决定 | 
| [35:03] | The defendant’s motion to dismiss the conspiracy count is therefore denied. | 因此,被告提出的取消合谋指控的动议被驳回 | 
| [35:11] | Second issue, felony murder. | 第二个问题,重罪谋杀 | 
| [35:14] | As a matter of law, | 从法律角度 | 
| [35:16] | if Mr. Donnell directed Mr. Neel to break into the victim’s house | 如果 Donnell先生指使Neel先生带有特别的侵害意图 | 
| [35:20] | with the specific intent of assaulting him, | 闯入被害人住宅 | 
| [35:23] | Mr. Donnell becomes an accessory, | Donnell先生就成为共谋 | 
| [35:25] | and both he and Mr. Neel are guilty of felony murder. | 那么他和Neel先生都犯有重罪谋杀罪 | 
| [35:28] | Whether or not Mr. Donnell actually did instruct Mr. Neel, | 而Donnell先生实际上是否真的指使了Neel先生 | 
| [35:33] | that is a question of fact, not law, | 这是一个基于事实的问题,而不是基于法律 | 
| [35:36] | and it is therefore a jury question. | 因此这是一个陪审团要面对的问题 | 
| [35:40] | Accordingly, defendant’s motion to dismiss the felony murder count | 因此,被告关于取消重罪谋杀的动议 | 
| [35:44] | is also denied. | 也被驳回 | 
| [35:48] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 | 
| [35:56] | Okay, we go to work, | 好吧,我们开始工作吧 | 
| [35:58] | we get ready to go to trial. | 我们要准备庭审 | 
| [36:00] | Mr. Young? Can we get together? | Young先生,我们谈谈吧? | 
| [36:11] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事? | 
| [36:12] | Lindsay. | Lindsay | 
| [36:13] | You have to stop it. | 你要阻止这样 | 
| [36:14] | You need to calm down. | 你要冷静下来 | 
| [36:15] | They’re going after my husband. | 他们不会放过我的丈夫 | 
| [36:15] | Why are they doing this? | 他们为什么要这样做? | 
| [36:16] | You need to calm down. | 你要冷静 | 
| [36:18] | Look, I’ve let them know I’m against it, | 听着,我已经让他们明白我是反对这样做的 | 
| [36:20] | but there’s nothing else I can do. | 别的我什么也做不了 | 
| [36:22] | It’s out of my hands. | 这超出了我的权限 | 
| [36:23] | I’ve never asked you for a favor. | 我从没有求过你 | 
| [36:25] | Lindsay, if I could stop it, I would. | Lindsay,如果我可以阻止,我会的 | 
| [36:28] | Trust me. | 相信我 | 
| [36:30] | I think this prosecution is out of line, | 我认为这个检察官越线了 | 
| [36:32] | but on the facts, there is a case. | 但基于事实,这是一个案子 | 
| [36:39] | Why are they doing this? | 他们为什么要这样做? | 
| [37:02] | Okay, listen up. | 好了,听我说 | 
| [37:04] | Nothing happened today that wasn’t expected. | 今天没有发生出乎意料的事情 | 
| [37:07] | We figured it’d go this way. | 我们估计也是这样 | 
| [37:10] | It did. | 的确 | 
| [37:12] | Now we dig in. | 现在我们深入研究一下 | 
| [37:15] | Eugene, I think, has already demonstrated clearly | 我认为,Eugene,已经清楚展现出来 | 
| [37:17] | that he can run this shop | 他可以领导这家事务所 | 
| [37:19] | and we can be just as strong as ever. | 而且我们能比以前更强 | 
| [37:22] | We cannot, cannot, cannot let ourselves become demoralized. | 我们不能,不能,不能让自己情绪低落 | 
| [37:30] | We have to stay together and support Eugene’s leadership. | 我们必须团结一致,支持尤金的领导 | 
| [37:36] | I’m afraid I can’t do that. | 我怕我做不到 | 
| [37:41] | I find Eugene’s leadership thus far to be a little frightening. | 我发现到目前为止,尤金的领导力有点令人惊恐 | 
| [37:46] | Aside from being autocratic, | 除了独断之外 | 
| [37:48] | his direction to me to look the other way | 他引导我走向另一个方向 | 
| [37:50] | and rubber-stamp a settlement I know was illegal… | 并且贸然同意我认为是不合法的和解方案 | 
| [37:54] | Rebecca… Rebecca。。。 | |
| [37:54] | Bobby, I want to say this to all of you, | Bobby,我想和你们所有人说 | 
| [37:58] | and I know the timing stinks given the situation you’re in, | 而且我知道根据你现在的情况,这是一个很糟糕的时机 | 
| [38:02] | and I apologize, | 我因此道歉 | 
| [38:03] | but Eugene basically instructed me to go along with extortion, | 但Eugene基本上就是让我接受敲诈 | 
| [38:07] | and the reason he did so was fiscal. | 他这么做是因为财务原因 | 
| [38:10] | That contingency is something we could use right now. | 这样的意外之财,我们现在正好能用上 | 
| [38:13] | It would be more expedient, | 这会是很有效的应急 | 
| [38:14] | let alone more profitable, to turn a blind eye. | 况且,有利可图的时候,就睁一只眼闭一只眼吧 | 
| [38:17] | Get off your high horse, would you, Rebecca? | 别那么趾高气扬了,丽贝卡,好吗? | 
| [38:20] | All right. | 好吧 | 
| [38:20] | No. We’re up to our necks here. | 不,我们要快完蛋了 | 
| [38:22] | We don’t need her preaching. | 我么不需要她的布道 | 
| [38:23] | I’ll say what I have to say. | 我要说我必须说的 | 
| [38:26] | You all sat quietly and let Eugene be the leader | 你们都默默地认可 Eugene的领导 | 
| [38:29] | because his decision-making was dirty work, | 因为他来做决策是脏活儿 | 
| [38:32] | and you were glad to let him do it. | 于是你们会很高兴让他来做 | 
| [38:33] | That settlement was extortion. | 这个和解协议就是欺诈 | 
| [38:36] | Eugene’s okay with it, fine, | Eugene没意见,好吧 | 
| [38:40] | but if his face is the new face of this firm, | 但是如果他的做派就是这家事务所的新做派 | 
| [38:43] | it’s not the same firm I know. | 那这就不是我所了解的事务所了 | 
| [38:49] | All right, come on, let’s not do this, not now. | 好了,不要这样,现在不要 | 
| [38:54] | I’m a partner here, Jimmy. You’re not. | 我是一个合伙人,而你不是 | 
| [38:56] | All right! Now that’s enough. | 行了,现在闹够了! | 
| [38:59] | We have to stay together now. | 我们必须要团结在一起 | 
| [39:14] | Now what? | 这是怎么回事? | 
| [39:15] | Nothing. | 没事 | 
| [39:17] | What’d Toomey want? | Toomey想怎么样? | 
| [39:19] | Let’s go to your office. | 到你办公室里说 | 
| [39:21] | Lindsay? | Lindsay | 
| [39:38] | Okay, they’ve offered a plea. | 他们提出了一个条件 | 
| [39:41] | Aiding and abetting a felonious assault. | 协助和教唆重罪暴行 | 
| [39:43] | 2 1/2 years, one suspended. Disbarment. | 两年半,缓刑一年,取消律师资格 | 
| [39:49] | Right. | 好的 | 
| [39:51] | What I would like to do… | 我想做的是。。。 | 
| [39:54] | is chop that down to one year. | 争取只取消资格一年 | 
| [39:56] | Eugene, cop to… | Eugene,接受吧。。。 | 
| [39:58] | Bobby, we may have a chance in outright acquittal… | Bobby,我们有机会得到完全无罪 | 
| [40:01] | All they have is Neel’s word. | 他们有的只是Neel的证词 | 
| [40:03] | I understand, | 我明白 | 
| [40:04] | and I can argue his motive to lie in exchange for the plea bargain. | 我可以证明他撒谎的动机是为了换取辩诉交易 | 
| [40:08] | The problem is that tape. | 问题是那个录音带 | 
| [40:10] | What he said to Hinks | 他跟Hinks说的话 | 
| [40:11] | that precedes any motive to lie. | 早于撒谎动机的产生时间 | 
| [40:13] | Also, it’s already playing all over the press | 而且,它已经在整个媒体上播放公布 | 
| [40:16] | about those two cops that got killed, | 有关那两个被杀的警察 | 
| [40:17] | how you got them killed. | 以及你是怎么导致他们被杀的 | 
| [40:19] | Even if I keep that out of evidence, | 即使我可以把这些排除出证据 | 
| [40:21] | which I should be able to do, | 我觉得我应该可以做到的 | 
| [40:23] | the odds of the jury not knowing about it… | 可陪审团得知这些消息的可能性还是。。。 | 
| [40:30] | If you get convicted of felony murder, you get life. | 如果你被定罪为重罪谋杀,你会被判终身监禁 | 
| [40:35] | Obviously, I’m hoping that won’t happen, | 当然,我不愿意看到这样 | 
| [40:37] | but the risk… | 但是,风险。。。 | 
| [40:44] | the risk. | 风险 | 
| [40:47] | If I could get it down to one year, | 如果我可以把取消律师资格降到一年 | 
| [40:50] | the disbarment might not have to be permanent. | 取消资格就不是永久性的了 | 
| [40:53] | You really have to think about it. | 你们真的要好好想想 | 
| [40:57] | I’ll leave you two alone. | 我让你们俩在一起考虑一下 | 
| [41:09] | I can’t believe this is happening. | 我难以想象会到这个地步 | 
| [41:11] | There’s no way I’m pleading guilty. | 我绝不认罪 | 
| [41:14] | Bobby, we’re about to have a baby. | Bobby,我们要有孩子了 | 
| [41:18] | I’m not getting life in prison. | 我也不会坐牢的 | 
| [41:21] | It could never, ever happen. | 这永远也不会发生的 | 
| [41:24] | I can’t even think straight. | 我甚至不能正常思考了 | 
| [41:25] | It could never happen. | 这不会发生的 | 
| [41:27] | What if you do? | 如果你这样做呢? | 
| [41:30] | What if… | 如果? | 
| [41:31] | Wh…what about, um, what… | 呃,如果是。。。如果。。。 | 
| [41:34] | what about self-defense or maybe defense of others, maybe… | 用自卫或者是保护他人为由呢? | 
| [41:37] | The threat has to be imminent. | 威胁是需要迫在眉睫的 | 
| [41:48] | I don’t understand how this can be happening. | 我想不明白事情怎么会到这个地步 | 
| [41:52] | I’m not pleading guilty. | 我不会认罪的 | 
| [41:57] | I’ll go to trial. | 我要出庭 | 
| [42:00] | I am not pleading guilty. | 我不会认罪的 |