时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Previously on “The Practice”… | 前集回顾未作翻译 |
[00:02] | Amanda, I’m Lucy Hatcher, | |
[00:04] | a counselor from the Rape Crisis Center. | |
[00:07] | -How old are you? -Eleven. | |
[00:10] | HELEN: The good news is we caught him. | |
[00:11] | At least, I’m pretty sure of it. | |
[00:13] | I was wondering whether you’d be able to look | |
[00:15] | at what we call a police lineup. | |
[00:17] | No, I don’t want to see him. | |
[00:18] | I don’t think she’s strong enough emotionally to see him. | |
[00:21] | I really don’t. | |
[00:22] | This whole case comes down to eyewitness testimony. | |
[00:25] | So it would be her word against his? | |
[00:27] | No, we have another eyewitness. | |
[00:29] | A woman saw it from a balcony. | |
[00:31] | Are you sure about the man you saw? | |
[00:33] | Yes. He lives in the building. | |
[00:35] | I know who he is. | |
[00:36] | Miss Tritter, I smell alcohol. | |
[00:37] | Have you been drinking? | |
[00:39] | I’ve had a few beers. | |
[00:40] | At the time you saw the rape, were you drinking then? | |
[00:42] | Two beers. | |
[00:43] | HELEN: All I have is an eyewitness | |
[00:45] | who was probably under the influence. | |
[00:48] | Even with your daughter testifying… | |
[00:52] | she’s easily shakeable, Mr. McGowan. | |
[00:54] | What are you telling me? | |
[00:56] | It doesn’t look good. | |
[01:04] | What do you mean, no plea? | 你什么意思,他不认罪? |
[01:07] | He backed out of the deal. He wants to go to trial. | 他退出了控辩交易,他宁愿去出庭受审 |
[01:09] | He can’t do that. | 他不能那样做的 |
[01:11] | Unfortunately, he can. | 不幸的是,他可以 |
[01:13] | Until the plea is entered with the judge, he has– | 在向法官呈递认罪协议前,他已经。。。 |
[01:15] | Does this mean she’ll have to testify? | 这意味着她必须要出庭作证了吗? |
[01:16] | It means she might. | 这意味,她可能要作证 |
[01:19] | You have the other witness. | 你有别的证人呀 |
[01:22] | I can’t make this case | 只凭Michelle Tritter我没法办这个案子 |
[01:24] | with Michelle Tritter alone, Howard. You know this. | Howard,你是明白的 |
[01:27] | Amanda will probably have to take the stand. | Amanda可能必须要出庭作证 |
[01:30] | I will do everything I can to protect her. | 我会尽一切可能保护她 |
[01:38] | Maybe if Michelle Tritter’s testimony is compelling enough, | 也许Michelle Tritter的作证就足够了 |
[01:43] | we could reintroduce the idea of a plea | 我们可以重新提出认罪的提议 |
[01:47] | to spare Amanda from… | 以免Amanda。。。 |
[01:49] | Look, Howard, | 听着,Howard, |
[01:52] | I don’t want to be a killer D. A. here. | 我不想成为一个害人的地区检察官 |
[01:55] | You want to call this off? | 你打算撤回指控吗? |
[01:57] | We can’t. | 我们做不到 |
[01:58] | He lives in our building. | 他和我们住在一个大楼里 |
[02:00] | If he goes free, | 如果他放出来了, |
[02:02] | she’s got to see him every day. | 她会天天看到他的 |
[02:05] | He could rape her again. He’s that sick. | 他可能再次强奸她。他是个变态 |
[02:11] | Do what you have to do to get him, Ms. Gamble, | 尽你所能搞定他吧,Gamble女士 |
[02:15] | but try to spare my little girl. | 但尽量放过我的小女儿 |
[03:14] | Jimmy. | |
[03:16] | Michaelson. | Michaelson的案子 |
[03:18] | I worked out an installment plan. | 我制定了分期付款计划。 |
[03:21] | I know this, | 我知道, |
[03:22] | but his first payment was due last Friday. | 但上周五就应该支付首款了 |
[03:24] | I’ll call him. | 我会给他打电话 |
[03:25] | I’d appreciate it if you could call him today. | 如果你能今天就给他打电话,我会不胜感激的 |
[03:28] | (door opens) | |
[03:32] | Excuse me. I’m here to see Robert Donnell. | 打扰了,我来这儿想见Robert Donnell |
[03:36] | You are… | 您是。。。 |
[03:37] | Kate Littlefield. | Kate Littlefield |
[03:39] | Yes, he’s expecting you. | 他在等您呢。 |
[03:41] | Can I get you some coffee or something? | 您要喝咖啡或别的什么吗? |
[03:42] | No, thank you. I’m fine. | 不用了,谢谢 |
[03:43] | Right this way. | 这边儿请 |
[03:49] | I bet she’s stopped some traffic once or twice. | 我估计她路上堵了几次车 |
[03:52] | Who is she? | 她是谁? |
[03:54] | Oh, whoa, whoa. | 噢,哎呦。。。 |
[03:55] | Ooh, are you okay? | 哦,你没事吧? |
[03:56] | Oh, yeah. That was no kick, though. Ow. | 噢,没事,倒是没踢我,不过,哎呦 |
[04:00] | You all right? | 你还好吧? |
[04:01] | (sighs) | |
[04:02] | Yeah, I’m fine. I’m just — Ahem. | 嗯,我没事,我就是。。。 |
[04:04] | I’m going to sit. | 我要坐下来。 |
[04:10] | Thank you so much for agreeing to meet with me. | 非常感谢你同意见我。 |
[04:12] | My husband is Raymond Littlefield. | 我丈夫是Raymond Littlefield。 |
[04:16] | I don’t know whether you read the newspapers. | 我不知道你是不是看了报纸 |
[04:19] | He’s been charged with murdering my daughter. | 他被指控谋杀了我的女儿。 |
[04:22] | He didn’t. | 他是冤枉的。 |
[04:24] | Your daughter, so his stepdaughter. | 你的女儿,是他的继女吧 |
[04:26] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[04:28] | Our attorney, who I consider to be excellent– | 我认为我们的律师是很不错的。。。 |
[04:31] | I’m convinced he no longer believes | 但我确信他不再相信我丈夫是清白的 |
[04:33] | in my husband’s innocence, | 但我确信他不再相信我丈夫是清白的 |
[04:35] | and neither Raymond nor myself, for that matter, | 在这件事上,无论是Raymond还是我自己, |
[04:37] | feel that it’s wise to go into a trial | 都觉得庭审时找一个没有成见的律师比较明智 |
[04:39] | with a lawyer who’s less than sure of the cause. | 都觉得庭审时找一个没有成见的律师比较明智 |
[04:42] | May I stop you? | 我能打断一下你吗? |
[04:44] | For the most part, the lawyer’s personal beliefs | 大多数情况下,律师个人是否认为他的当事人有罪 |
[04:46] | about his client’s guilt or innocence– | 大多数情况下,律师个人是否认为他的当事人有罪 |
[04:48] | it rarely matters much. | 并不很重要。。。 |
[04:49] | You don’t care? | 换是你也不在乎? |
[04:52] | Not really. | 不完全是 |
[04:54] | I guess for our own peace of mind, | 我觉得为了让我们自己心态和平, |
[04:56] | we’d like to walk into that room | 我们想让一个信任我们的律师为我们出庭辩护 |
[04:59] | with a lawyer who’s truly with us. | 我们想让一个信任我们的律师为我们出庭辩护 |
[05:01] | I’m also informed | 我也听说一个相信当事人是无辜的律师 |
[05:03] | an attorney who believes in his client’s innocence | 我也听说一个相信当事人是无辜的律师 |
[05:05] | usually puts more pressure on himself. | 通常会给自己施加较大的压力 |
[05:08] | We’d like the benefit of that pressure. | 我们希望能从这种压力中受益 |
[05:11] | Tell me about the case. | 跟我说说案情吧 |
[05:15] | I’ve read a little, but… | 我略知一些,但。。。 |
[05:17] | My daughter was bludgeoned to death last October. | 我女儿去年10月被殴打致死 |
[05:21] | Some of her blood was found on one of Raymond’s golf clubs. | 她的一些血迹是在Raymond的一个高尔夫球杆上发现的。 |
[05:26] | Is that the extent of the evidence? | 就这些证据吗? |
[05:30] | That and… | 还有。。。 |
[05:33] | they claim he had an affair with her. | 他们说他和她有私情 |
[05:38] | He didn’t. | 而他没有 |
[05:44] | Is it getting worse? | 情况变得更糟了吗? |
[05:45] | It’s not sharp, but… | 不是很剧烈,但是。。。 |
[05:50] | it’s not going away, either. | 也不会消失。 |
[05:52] | Why don’t we just go to the doctor to be safe? | 我们为什么不去找医生看看以确保安全呢? |
[05:57] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[05:59] | That’s a good idea. | 这倒是个办法 |
[06:01] | Come on. | 走吧。 |
[06:09] | Amanda? | |
[06:12] | How are you doing? | 你还好吗? |
[06:16] | I’m okay. | 还好 |
[06:18] | You’re looking so much better. | 你看着好多了 |
[06:24] | You know… | 呃。。。 |
[06:28] | we might need you to come tell what happened in court. | 我们可能需要你出庭作证 |
[06:31] | You said I didn’t have to. | 你说过我不必那样的 |
[06:34] | Well, that’s what we’re hoping, | 呃,我们希望不必那样, |
[06:36] | and it’s still possible you might not have to. | 而且还是有可能不让你出庭作证的 |
[06:37] | The man’s going to be there? | 那个人也在那儿吗? |
[06:39] | Amanda, you will be totally safe. | Amanda,你会绝对安全的 |
[06:42] | There will be a lot of policemen and court officers. | 那里会有很多警察和法庭人员, |
[06:46] | What– What if nobody believes me? | 如果。。。如果没人信我的话呢? |
[06:50] | You don’t have to worry about that. | 我不必担心这些 |
[06:52] | Making them believe– that’s my job. | 让他们相信你的话。。。是由我来做 |
[06:54] | You just have to tell what happened. | 你只需要说出事实 |
[06:57] | Can you do that? | 你能做到吗? |
[07:02] | She’s so fragile right now. | 她现在很脆弱 |
[07:06] | Is there any way to get a continuance? | 有没有什么办法可以延期? |
[07:08] | I’m asking for one, | 我会申请一次延期的 |
[07:09] | but this judge is a nightmare with his docket. | 但这个法官手头案子太多了 |
[07:12] | I can’t see him giving us any more time. | 我不敢奢望他会给我们更多时间的 |
[07:15] | She’s still in bad shape, Helen. | Helen,她身体状态还不好 |
[07:17] | A week, a month– | 一周,一个月。。。 |
[07:18] | I’ll try, | 我会试试的 |
[07:19] | but if she has to, can she do it? | 但如果一定要她去,她行吗? |
[07:21] | The question is not so much can she. It’s should she. | 问题主要不在于她能不能去,而是她应该不应该去 |
[07:26] | Sticking her in a room with the man who raped her… | 让她和强奸过她的人同时出庭。。。 |
[07:30] | she’ll see him sitting there in a nice suit, | 她会看到他穿着漂亮的西装坐在那里, |
[07:32] | getting called “mister” by these authority figures. | 被一些有头有脸的人成为“先生” |
[07:35] | Then she’ll be attacked by the defense lawyer. | 然后她会被辩护律师质问。 |
[07:37] | I understand. Can she do it? | 我理解那些,我还是要问她能出庭吗? |
[07:40] | Can she? Probably, yes, | 她能吗?可能是吧 |
[07:42] | but try to get her more time. | 但尽量多给她一些时间。 |
[07:48] | All the evidence of the affair came from my daughter. | 所有私通证据都是源于我的女儿, |
[07:52] | She told her friends this. She told her sister. | 她跟她的朋友还有她妹妹说的 |
[07:55] | And you think she was making it up? | 你觉得是她编的吗? |
[07:57] | She was very troubled. | 她身上问题很多 |
[07:59] | She would say things to get attention. | 她可能会说些什么去搏得关注 |
[08:01] | Two years ago, | 两年前, |
[08:03] | when Raymond wouldn’t let her go to a party, | Raymond没有允许她去参加聚会, |
[08:06] | she threatened to say that he molested her. | 她威胁要说他骚扰她。 |
[08:09] | She was getting counseling. | 她正在接受心理咨询 |
[08:11] | She was pathological, Mr. Donnell. | Donnell先生,她是处于病态的 |
[08:12] | Okay, now, | 好吧,那么, |
[08:14] | what about her blood on your husband’s golf club? | 关于你丈夫高尔夫球杆上的血迹呢? |
[08:17] | We believe the club was planted. | 我们认为是栽赃的 |
[08:20] | By who? | 被谁呢? |
[08:22] | No idea. | 不知道 |
[08:23] | Raymond had some enemies at work. | Raymond在工作上有些仇敌 |
[08:25] | Fiona, my daughter, had enemies, too. | 我女儿Fiona也有些仇敌。 |
[08:28] | She’d gotten into some drug problems. | 她陷入了一些有关毒品的麻烦 |
[08:31] | Perhaps somebody wanted to kill her, | 也许有人想杀她, |
[08:34] | had knowledge of this so-called “affair,” | 得知了所谓的“私通”,于是就用来陷害Raymond |
[08:38] | and then used it to frame Raymond. | 得知了所谓的“私通”,于是就用来陷害Raymond |
[08:41] | Or perhaps somebody just wanted to frame Raymond to… | 或者也许有人就是想陷害Raymond,为了。。。 |
[08:45] | To what? | 为了什么? |
[08:47] | Get even. | 报复 |
[08:49] | Who would want to do that? | 谁会这样做呢? |
[08:51] | He was having an affair with a woman, | 他和一个女人有过私情,去年夏天结束了 |
[08:56] | which ended last summer. | 他和一个女人有过私情,去年夏天结束了 |
[08:58] | Do you think that this woman | 你认为这个女人有可能杀了你的女儿吗? |
[09:00] | might have killed your daughter? | 你认为这个女人有可能杀了你的女儿吗? |
[09:02] | I don’t even know her. | 我都不知道她是谁 |
[09:04] | Raymond thinks not. The police think not. | Raymond认为不会,警察也觉得不会 |
[09:08] | How old was your daughter? | 你女儿多大了? |
[09:11] | Sixteen. | 十六岁 |
[09:20] | Is this where you’re getting the pains? | 这儿疼吗? |
[09:22] | Yeah, right there. Mm-hmm. | 对,就是这儿 |
[09:24] | Could be just ligament strain or muscle spasm. | 可能只是韧带拉伤或肌肉痉挛 |
[09:30] | It could be pre-eclampsia. | 可能是子痫前期 |
[09:32] | Your B. P.’s a little high. | 你的血压有点高。 |
[09:34] | Well, the paternity suit really stressed me out. | 哦,有关父亲身份的诉讼真的让我很紧张 |
[09:37] | There are also trace amounts of protein in your urine. | 你的尿液中也含有微量的蛋白质。 |
[09:41] | Oh, great. | 噢,问题还真不少 |
[09:42] | Ellenor, have you been feeling sick lately? | Ellenor,你最近觉得恶心吗? |
[09:44] | Had the flu, a cold? | 得过流感或者感冒吗? |
[09:45] | No. Why? | 没有,为什么问这个? |
[09:47] | You’ve got an elevated white blood cell count, | 你的白细胞计数升高了 |
[09:49] | which is normal in pregnancy, but you’re high. | 这在怀孕期间是正常的,但是你的太高了。 |
[09:52] | I want to run some more tests. | 我想再多做些检查。 |
[09:54] | Okay, now you’re freaking me out. | 好吧,你现在是吓到我了 |
[09:56] | Ellenor. | |
[09:58] | I know you don’t want Ben because he’s a personal friend, | 我知道你和Ben有私交所以不想让他给你看病 |
[10:00] | but I’d like for him to see you. | 但我还是想让他来 |
[10:04] | Is the baby in danger? | 孩子有危险吗? |
[10:07] | Not at all, | 完全没有, |
[10:08] | but I want Ben Gideon to see you. | 但我想让Ben Gideon来 |
[10:16] | All rise. The honorable Abraham Betts presiding. | 全体起立,由尊敬的Abraham Betts法官主持听证会 |
[10:19] | Counsel, remain standing. | 律师,继续站着 |
[10:21] | No need to get comfortable. | 不需要找个舒服的姿势 |
[10:23] | This isn’t going to take very long. | 不会很久的 |
[10:30] | Ms. Gamble, | Gamble女士 |
[10:31] | your motion for a continuance is denied. | 你要求延期的动议被否决了 |
[10:34] | Your honor– | 法官大人。。。 |
[10:35] | I told you probable cause on this is thin. | 我跟你说过,这个起诉的合理依据不足 |
[10:38] | The defendant does have the right | 被告有权得到快速和公平的审判,Gamble女士 |
[10:39] | to a fair and speedy trial, Ms. Gamble. | 被告有权得到快速和公平的审判,Gamble女士 |
[10:42] | Have you forgotten that? | 你都忘了? |
[10:43] | The rape wasn’t that long ago. | 强奸发生得并不久。 |
[10:45] | The longer you wait, | 你等的时间越长,你的证人记得就更不清了 |
[10:46] | the less fresh the memories of your witnesses. | 你等的时间越长,你的证人记得就更不清了 |
[10:48] | Yes, thank you for your concern. | 是的,谢谢你的关心。 |
[10:51] | You also have my motion | 我还向你提出了让孩子通过闭路电视作证的动议 |
[10:52] | to let the child testify via closed-circuit television. | 我还向你提出了让孩子通过闭路电视作证的动议 |
[10:56] | Denied. | 否决 |
[10:57] | This trial starts after lunch. | 午后开始庭审 |
[11:00] | Your honor, | 法官大人 |
[11:01] | I’d like to be heard on my second motion. | 我想请你听取我第二个动议 |
[11:03] | You’ve been read. | 我都看过了 |
[11:05] | The victim is 11. | 受害者才十一岁 |
[11:06] | Forcing an 11-year-old little girl to sit | 强迫一个11岁的小女孩跟强奸她的男人坐在同一个房间里 |
[11:09] | in the same room with the man who raped her– | 强迫一个11岁的小女孩跟强奸她的男人坐在同一个房间里 |
[11:11] | That’s his right. Confrontation clause. | 那是他的权力,对质条款 |
[11:13] | Face-to-face confrontation if she testifies. | 如果她作证就要面对面对质 |
[11:17] | It doesn’t need to be in the courtroom. | 但不需要一定在法庭上,她可以通过闭路电视作证。 |
[11:17] | She could testify closed-circuit. | 但不需要一定在法庭上,她可以通过闭路电视作证。 |
[11:20] | It’s not done that way in Massachusetts, your honor. | 法官大人,在马萨诸塞州不能用这样的方式 |
[11:22] | -It could be. -That’s it, Ms. Gamble. | -可以的 -就这样了,Gamble |
[11:24] | You could save an 11-year-old girl from needlessly suffering. | 你可以让一个11岁的女孩免于不必要的痛苦。 |
[11:26] | That’s enough! The law is the law. | 够了,法律就是法律! |
[11:28] | Your motion is denied. | 你的动议被否决了 |
[11:29] | This trial will start in one hour. | 庭审一小时后开始 |
[11:31] | Get your witnesses. | 带你的证人来吧 |
[11:48] | Why is he being like that? | 他为什么要那样? |
[11:49] | Because he’s a judge who cares more about his docket | 因为他是一个关心积压的案子甚于 |
[11:52] | than the emotions of an 11-year-old rape victim. | 一个十一岁受害者感情的法官 |
[11:55] | So what now? | 现在怎么办? |
[11:56] | Let’s start the case, see how it goes. | 让我们开始吧,看看进展 |
[11:59] | Maybe I can still get a plea. | 也许我还能争取到一个认罪协议 |
[12:01] | And if you can’t? | 如果你不能呢? |
[12:05] | You gave me your word. | 你向我保证过的 |
[12:08] | Mr. McGowan, let’s just see how it goes. | McGowan先生,只能走着看了 |
[12:29] | We found evidence of vaginal penetration, | 我们发现了阴道插入的证据 |
[12:32] | lesions, and bruising. | 组织损伤和瘀伤。 |
[12:34] | The hymen was broken. | 处女膜破裂了 |
[12:37] | Doctor, were you able to form a medical opinion | 医生,对于所发生的事情,你可以得出医学意见吗? |
[12:40] | as to what happened? | 医生,对于所发生的事情,你可以得出医学意见吗? |
[12:41] | Based on the examination, | 根据检查, |
[12:43] | the injuries are consistent with forcible penetration. | 伤情和阴道强行插入的情况一致 |
[12:48] | Any evidence of semen? | 有精液证物吗? |
[12:49] | No. | 没有 |
[12:50] | Any physical evidence, | 除了这些伤情,还有别的实物证据可以表明她被强奸了吗? |
[12:53] | other than the injuries, that suggests she was raped? | 除了这些伤情,还有别的实物证据可以表明她被强奸了吗? |
[12:56] | No, but the injuries– | 没有,但是这种伤情。。。 |
[12:57] | Thank you, doctor. | 谢谢你,医生 |
[12:58] | You’ve answered my questions. | 你已经回答了问题 |
[13:07] | You’re up next. 20 minutes. | 下一个是你,二十分钟后。 |
[13:09] | Oh, God. | 噢,天哪 |
[13:11] | Just try to relax. You say exactly what– | 只要试着放松些,说实际情况。。。 |
[13:13] | Michelle, I smell beer. | Michelle,我闻到啤酒味道了。 |
[13:17] | I had one. That’s all. | 我就喝了一瓶。 |
[13:19] | Oh, great. | 噢,真行 |
[13:21] | Ms. Gamble, I was trembling. | Gamble女士,我在发抖, |
[13:23] | My hands were shaking. Just to calm me. I’m fine. | 我的手在发抖。只是为了让我平静下来。我很好。 |
[13:26] | You need to be strong up there. | 作证的时候你要强硬起来。 |
[13:29] | Okay. | 好的 |
[13:31] | His lawyer is going to come at you. | 他的律师会攻击你的 |
[13:33] | Just remember, | 一定要记住, |
[13:35] | you’re standing up there for a young girl. | 你作证是为了一个小女孩 |
[13:39] | You need to be as strong as you can. | 你要尽可能地强硬 |
[13:41] | Okay. | 行。 |
[13:45] | I hate to be plundering– | 我讨厌被抢走了生意。。。 |
[13:47] | Well, my wife’s been screaming at me | 没所谓了,反正我太太也催着我要去渡假 |
[13:49] | to go on vacation anyway. | 没所谓了,反正我太太也催着我要去渡假 |
[13:50] | The files are in good shape. | 文件都完整无损 |
[13:54] | Investigative reports– you can use all my exhibits. | 调查报告。。。你可以用上我所有的证据和证物 |
[13:57] | I can have them messengered over. | 我可以把这些送给你 |
[14:02] | What’s the matter? | 怎么了? |
[14:04] | Losing a high-profile case a week before trial, | 在庭审一周前丢掉了一个引人注目的案子, |
[14:07] | one would think you’d be a little more upset. | 你应该有点消沉才对 |
[14:09] | There’ll be other cases, Bobby. | Bobby,我还会接别的案子的。 |
[14:12] | He told you he did it. | 他向你承认了是他干的吧。 |
[14:15] | No, he didn’t. | 不,他没有。 |
[14:16] | -He did. -Bobby– -Bobby。。。 | -他承认了 |
[14:19] | You can’t put him on the stand to say he didn’t do it | 因为你知道了真相,所以你不能让他出庭作证撒谎 |
[14:22] | since you know the truth, | 因为你知道了真相,所以你不能让他出庭作证撒谎 |
[14:23] | so he needs a lawyer who doesn’t know the truth. | 所以他才需要一个不知道真相的律师 |
[14:26] | That’s what’s going on here, isn’t it? | 这就是目前的情况,不是吗? |
[14:29] | -Bobby– -You know too much. -Bobby。。。 | -你知道的太多了 |
[14:31] | He has denied his guilt at all times. | 他一直否认他有罪 |
[14:35] | Uh-huh. | 嗯哼 |
[14:38] | I looked out of my window into the vacant lot | 我向窗外望到那片空地上, |
[14:41] | and seen him on top of Amanda with his pants down. | 看到他褪下裤子压在Amanda身上 |
[14:44] | She got away and started to run, | 她挣脱并开始跑开 |
[14:47] | but he started chasing her. | 但他开始追赶她 |
[14:49] | Who was the man? | 那个人是谁? |
[14:51] | Him. | 就是他 |
[14:53] | Bruce Wilson. Bruce Wilson。 | |
[14:55] | He lives in the Adams-Green projects with us. | 他和我们一起住在Adams-Green安居项目里 |
[14:58] | He was running after Amanda, | 他追赶Amanda |
[15:01] | and she was crying, you know, “Leave me alone.” | 她哭着喊“离我远点” |
[15:04] | What did you do? | 你做了什么? |
[15:06] | I ran down to help. | 我跑去救她 |
[15:09] | I don’t know her real well, but I know her dad’s crippled. | 我跟她不太熟,但我知道他爸爸是个残疾人 |
[15:11] | I got downstairs, Wilson was already gone. | 我跑下楼,Wilson已经跑了 |
[15:15] | So I got Amanda settled down. | 所以我使Amanda稳定下来 |
[15:17] | She was totally upset and crying. | 她非常伤心哭个不停 |
[15:20] | Holding herself, you know, down here. | 她蜷缩着坐在那里 |
[15:24] | She said that– | 她说。。。 |
[15:26] | Objection– hearsay. | 反对。。。传闻证据 |
[15:28] | Excited utterance. | 激情表述例外 |
[15:30] | Objection sustained. | 反对有效 |
[15:31] | What did you do next? | 接下来你做了些什么? |
[15:35] | I took her to her dad, | 我带她去找她父亲 |
[15:36] | but he doesn’t have a car, so we took a bus | 但他没有车,所以我们搭乘公车送她去急诊室看医生 |
[15:38] | to the emergency room so she could see a doctor. | 但他没有车,所以我们搭乘公车送她去急诊室看医生 |
[15:40] | And, Ms. Tritter, had you been drinking that day? | Tritter女士,你那天喝酒了吗? |
[15:44] | I drank two beers that morning, | 我那天早上喝了两瓶啤酒 |
[15:47] | but I wasn’t drunk. | 但我没有醉 |
[15:49] | I drink a lot. | 我酒量很大 |
[15:52] | Two beers doesn’t really affect me that much. | 两瓶对我来说没什么影响 |
[15:54] | Are you sure you saw what happened? | 你确信你看清了事发过程吗? |
[15:56] | Yes. | 是的 |
[15:59] | You ran down when you saw the girl being attacked? | 你看见那个女孩被袭就跑下楼了? |
[16:02] | Yes. | 是的 |
[16:03] | -Right away? -That’s right. | -马上? -对 |
[16:05] | So you saw the attacker for what, half a second? | 所以你看着那个袭击者多久,半秒钟? |
[16:08] | No, I– | 不止,我。。。 |
[16:11] | A couple of seconds. | 几秒钟。 |
[16:12] | I had to look and figure out what was– | 我得看一下并弄清楚。。。 |
[16:14] | You had to look because the vacant lot– | 你要看一下是因为那块空地你离的房子有200英尺,对吧? |
[16:17] | it’s about 200 feet from your house, right? | 你要看一下是因为那块空地你离的房子有200英尺,对吧? |
[16:20] | I guess. | 我想是的 |
[16:22] | And when you got there, the man was gone? | 而当你跑到那里,那个人已经跑了? |
[16:23] | Yeah, he’d run away. | 是的,他已经跑了 |
[16:25] | From 200 feet, | 离着200英尺,你就看了几秒钟, |
[16:26] | you watch for a whole couple of seconds, | 离着200英尺,你就看了几秒钟, |
[16:29] | but you’re sure that my client is the man? | 但你能确认那个人就是我的当事人? |
[16:32] | You’re an alcoholic, aren’t you, Ms. Tritter? | Tritter女士,你是个酒鬼,是吗? |
[16:37] | He did it. | 就是他 |
[16:40] | I saw him. | 我看见他了 |
[16:42] | You’re an alcoholic, aren’t you, Ms. Tritter? | Tritter女士,你是个酒鬼,是吗? |
[16:47] | Pretty much. | 差不多吧 |
[16:49] | Do you ever lie about how much you’ve had to drink? | 你以往在喝了多少酒方面有没有撒过谎? |
[16:51] | Sometimes. | 有时候是 |
[16:53] | Does your client ever lie about raping children? | 那你的当事人在强奸孩子方面撒过谎吗? |
[16:56] | -Move to strike. -Sustained. | -请求不予记录 -准许 |
[16:58] | You were drunk that day, weren’t you, Ms. Tritter? | Tritter女士,你那天喝醉了吧,不是吗? |
[17:01] | No. | 我没有 |
[17:03] | No? You have a car, don’t you? | 没有吗?你有辆车,不是吗? |
[17:04] | Yes. | 我有车 |
[17:06] | Didn’t you tell Mr. McGowan | 你没有跟McGowan先生说你喝多了不能开车吗? |
[17:08] | that you were too drunk to drive? | 你没有跟McGowan先生说你喝多了不能开车吗? |
[17:10] | I didn’t want to put anybody at risk, | 我是不想让任何人冒风险 |
[17:13] | but I saw what I saw. | 但我看得很清楚。 |
[17:15] | Had any alcohol today? | 今天喝了吗? |
[17:17] | One beer. | 喝了一瓶啤酒 |
[17:20] | Ever been convicted of a crime? | 被判过刑吗? |
[17:21] | Once. | 有一次 |
[17:23] | What was the charge? | 因为什么? |
[17:24] | Public drunkenness. | 公共场合酗酒 |
[17:26] | You were found passed out on a sidewalk. | 你醉倒在人行道上,我说的对吧? |
[17:29] | Am I correct? | 你醉倒在人行道上,我说的对吧? |
[17:32] | Yes. | 对 |
[17:47] | What have they told you? | 他们跟你说什么了? |
[17:48] | Just that I could have some mysterious infection. | 就是说我可能有些奇怪的感染 |
[17:51] | Is he holding anything back? | 他有所隐瞒吗? |
[17:53] | He’s an old friend, Eugene. He’s not going to lie to me. | 他是老朋友了,Eugene,他不会骗我的 |
[17:56] | I might, if there was money involved. | 没准儿,如果跟钱有关的话。 |
[17:59] | -Benjamin Gideon. -Eugene Young. | |
[18:01] | Nice to meet you. | 幸会。 |
[18:02] | All right, cut the small talk. | 好了,别闲聊了, |
[18:04] | Just tell me. | 跟我说吧 |
[18:05] | We still don’t know. | 我们还不清楚 |
[18:07] | Did I tell you he was funny? | 我跟你说过他挺逗的吗? |
[18:29] | Ben, just tell me, damn it. Is it serious? | Ben,就告诉我吧,是不是很严重? |
[18:32] | Ellenor, I’m not hiding anything from you. | Ellenor,我对你什么都不隐瞒的 |
[18:35] | We just don’t know. | 我们真的还不清楚。 |
[18:43] | What was your relationship with her? | 你和她是什么关系? |
[18:46] | At first she hated me because I wasn’t her father. | 起初她讨厌我,因为我是继父 |
[18:49] | She called me “step-thing,” | 她叫我“外来货” |
[18:51] | but then our relationship improved. | 但随后我们的关系改善了 |
[18:54] | How old was she when you two married? | 你们俩结婚的时候她多大? |
[18:56] | Thirteen. | 十三岁 |
[18:57] | As I became more of a father figure, | 当我变得像是个父亲的时候, |
[19:25] | You said she was getting counseling. | 你说她正在接受心理咨询 |
[19:28] | Yes. | 是的 |
[19:29] | Has anybody spoken to this counselor? | 有人跟这个顾问谈过吗? |
[19:31] | She told him it happened. | 她告诉他私通这件事的 |
[19:33] | The prosecution plans to call him as a witness. | 控方打算传唤他作证 |
[19:36] | She lied to him, too. | 她也向他撒谎了 |
[19:37] | Okay. | 那这样吧 |
[19:39] | Tomorrow I’m going to bring a motion in limine | 明天我会提交审前动议禁止使用你女儿的陈述作为证据 |
[19:41] | to suppress your daughter’s statements. | 明天我会提交审前动议禁止使用你女儿的陈述作为证据 |
[19:43] | If we win– | 如果我们动议获准。。。 |
[19:44] | -Can you? -We have a shot. | -你可以做到吗? -有机会。 |
[19:46] | If we win, there’s a chance that the affair– | 如果我们动议获准,就有机会让私通这件事。。。 |
[19:48] | The allegation of that affair. | 是所谓的私通 |
[19:51] | Yes. There’s a chance that it’ll never come into evidence. | 你说的对,有机会让其永远不能作为呈堂证据。 |
[19:53] | And if we lose? | 如果没有获准呢? |
[19:55] | Our chances get worse. | 我们的机会渺茫 |
[19:59] | Now, I have to ask one thing. | 现在我必须要问一个问题 |
[20:03] | I don’t mean to be offensive, but… | 我无意冒犯,但是。。。 |
[20:06] | What? | 什么问题? |
[20:10] | Did the police ever consider you a suspect? | 警察曾把你当作嫌犯吗? |
[20:23] | You’re asking me if I killed my own daughter. | 你在问是否是我杀了自己的女儿。 |
[20:26] | Since you had access to both the victim and the weapon, | 因为你能同时接触到受害人和凶器。 |
[20:30] | I’m wondering if the police ever asked. | 我想知道警察是否问过你 |
[20:32] | The night of the murder, | 谋杀发生的当夜 |
[20:34] | I was at my daughter’s school at a board meeting. | 我在我女儿的学校参加一个董事会议 |
[20:38] | Now, whether or not the police checked, | 不管警察是否核实过此事, |
[20:41] | you’ll have to ask them. | 你一定要去核实一下。 |
[20:53] | (door opens) | |
[20:58] | Michelle. | |
[21:05] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[21:07] | Why? | 为什么? |
[21:09] | ‘Cause I’m a drunk… | 因为我是个酒鬼。。。 |
[21:14] | and I didn’t do that girl much good today. | 而且今天我也没能为那个女孩做多少 |
[21:17] | Yes, you did. | 你做了不少 |
[21:19] | No, I didn’t. | 不,我没有 |
[21:22] | I saw the jury looking at me. | 我看到了陪审团对我审视的目光 |
[21:25] | Michelle, you stuck to what you saw, | Michelle,你对所看到的很肯定, |
[21:28] | and you were incredibly brave. | 而且你也非常勇敢。 |
[21:30] | Is Amanda going to have to testify? | Amanda必须要作证吗? |
[21:33] | I think she may have to, yes. | 对,我认为必须要她作证了 |
[21:37] | I’m so sorry. | 很抱歉。 |
[21:54] | I don’t know yet. Insurance, | 我还不清楚, |
[21:56] | frame her husband, I don’t know. I’ll find out. | 她陷害她的丈夫,我说不好,我会搞清楚的 |
[21:58] | Bobby, don’t you have a slight conflict here? | Bobby,这案子里你不是有些许利益冲突吗? |
[22:00] | She’s the one who hired you. | 是她雇你去为他辩护 |
[22:02] | To defend him. | 是她雇你去为他辩护 |
[22:03] | He’s the client, not her. | 他是我的当事人,而她不是。 |
[22:05] | I’m not so sure. | 我可不完全这么认为 |
[22:07] | They both seem to be the clients. | 他们都是你的当事人 |
[22:09] | If you’re going to undermine her, | 如果你打算间接攻击她的话 |
[22:10] | maybe you should get outside ethics counsel | 也许你应该找个职业道德顾问来告诉你该怎么做。 |
[22:12] | to tell you what to do. | 也许你应该找个职业道德顾问来告诉你该怎么做。 |
[22:16] | How does it feel? | 感觉怎么样? |
[22:19] | This is where you’ll sit. | 你就会坐在这儿。 |
[22:23] | Where’s my dad going to be? | 我爸爸坐在哪儿? |
[22:28] | And I’ll be here, too, Amanda. | 我在这儿,Amanda |
[22:30] | I’m just going to ask you a few easy questions | 我只会问你几个简单的问题。 |
[22:33] | just so you can get used to talking up there, okay? | 只是为了让你习惯坐在上面说话,好吗? |
[22:36] | Where is he going to be? | 他会在哪儿? |
[22:39] | Your father? | 你爸爸吗? |
[22:40] | No, no, him. | 不是,是他 |
[22:42] | I can’t answer that. I’m not allowed to. | 我不能说,不允许我说的, |
[22:46] | But he’ll be in the courtroom, | 但他会在法庭里 |
[22:48] | and you never have to look at him | 你不必去看他 |
[22:50] | except when I ask you to point to him. | 除非我要你指出他来 |
[22:53] | Can you do that? | 你行吗? |
[23:02] | I can still call it off. | 我仍能撤销指控 |
[23:08] | Look, I won’t lie. | 听着,我实话实说, |
[23:09] | I think the guy will do it again. | 我认为他还会再干的 |
[23:12] | I want him off the streets. | 我想把他关起来 |
[23:15] | But, doctor, if you’re telling me | 但是,医生,如果你跟我说这样对Amanda来说太有害了。。。 |
[23:17] | it would be too detrimental to Amanda– | 但是,医生,如果你跟我说这样对Amanda来说太有害了。。。 |
[23:18] | I think it’s too soon. | 我觉得为时尚早 |
[23:20] | The thing is, I can’t afford to move. | 问题是,我搬不起家 |
[23:23] | If he’s not convicted, he’s back in the projects. | 如果他不被定罪,他回来了 |
[23:26] | He’s back in our building. | 他就会回到我们的大楼里。 |
[23:30] | Doctor? | 医生 |
[23:33] | I’m worried about the trauma, | 我担心会造成创伤, |
[23:35] | but I’m also concerned of the lasting effects– | 但我也担心持续的影响。。。 |
[23:39] | her feeling responsible for his freedom | 如果他再次实施强奸的话,她会有负罪感 |
[23:42] | should he rape again. | 如果他再次实施强奸的话,她会有负罪感 |
[23:45] | I want to put her on. | 我想让她出庭 |
[23:49] | You have my word– | 我可以向你保证。。。 |
[23:51] | if it gets too rough, I will call this whole thing off. | 如果情况太糟了,我会把这一切叫停。 |
[24:00] | The statements are all hearsay. | 这些声明都是传闻证据 |
[24:16] | There’s no bragging exception to the hearsay rule. | 而且也不符合传闻证据例外规则的 |
[24:18] | Hold on. | 等一下 |
[24:20] | Am I to understand that the evidence | 我理解的是有关受害人和被告之间的私情 |
[24:22] | of an affair between the victim and the defendant– | 我理解的是有关受害人和被告之间的私情 |
[24:24] | you have nothing independent of the girl’s claims? | 你没有什么能支持这个女孩的声称吗? |
[24:27] | That’s correct, but if you look | 那倒是,但是如果你 |
[24:35] | That would qualify these statements | 把这些视为符合激情表述的话 |
[24:37] | as excited utterances, and therefore exempt them– | 这些声明就可以因此允许使用了。。。 |
[24:40] | The affidavit says the victim was emotional. | 宣誓书上称受害人有些情绪, |
[24:42] | It never says “excited.” | 但绝没有说“激动” |
[24:44] | Who did the victim make these claims to? | 受害人向谁说的这些? |
[24:48] | To her sister, several friends, | 她妹妹,几个朋友, |
[24:50] | and her therapist. | 还有她的心理医生 |
[24:51] | And when she told her sister and her friends, | 当她告诉她姐姐和朋友们, |
[24:54] | what was the tenor of it? | 她的意图是什么? |
[24:56] | She was essentially boasting about it, yes. | 没错,她基本是在吹牛。 |
[25:02] | We drew a good judge in Hiller. | 我们抽到Hiller这个好法官 |
[25:04] | She goes by the law, which gives us a shot, | 她严格遵循法律,这给我们带来了机会。 |
[25:06] | and she shouldn’t take long to rule. | 她很快就会裁决的 |
[25:08] | It is hearsay, right? | 裁决这是传闻证据,对吗? |
[25:10] | Yes, but many times, | 是的,但很多时候, |
[25:11] | judges find a way to let this stuff in. | 法官会给这些东西留个后门 |
[25:13] | In any event, we have to prepare. | 不管如何,我们要做好准备。 |
[25:15] | Jenny, I’d like to talk to you about your sister. | Jenny,我想和你谈谈你姐姐 |
[25:17] | -Can I do that? -Okay. | -我可以吗? -可以 |
[25:19] | And I have some more things to go over with you. | 我还有更多的事情要和你讨论。 |
[25:21] | Can you come by after lunch? | 你们午饭后可以来吗? |
[25:22] | We’ll be there. | 我们会来的 |
[25:23] | Come on. Let’s go see Daddy. | 走吧,去看看你爸爸 |
[25:27] | Bobby… | |
[25:29] | I just talked to Bec. | 我刚和Bec谈过 |
[25:31] | According to the probate, when Fiona died, | 根据遗嘱,Fiona死后, |
[25:34] | Kate Littlefield became the sole beneficiary | Kate Littlefield成为二百万家族信托的唯一受益人 |
[25:37] | of a $2 million family trust. | Kate Littlefield成为二百万家族信托的唯一受益人 |
[25:39] | Gee, what a shock. | 哇,真让人吃惊。 |
[25:42] | Bobby, if she’s our target– | Bobby,如果她是我们的攻击对象。。。 |
[25:44] | she did sign the retainer agreement. | 而正是她签的聘用协议。 |
[25:46] | Technically, I think, she is a client. | 我认为,从技术上讲,她是一个当事人 |
[25:48] | We got to protect ourselves. | 我们要保护我们自己 |
[25:53] | Okay. | 明白 |
[25:59] | We’re ready. | 我们准备好了 |
[26:02] | You can walk in with me, Amanda. | Amanda,我们会和你一起进去。 |
[26:04] | I’ll hold your hand. | 我会拉着你的手, |
[26:07] | Amanda? | |
[26:13] | You just look at me or the floor, nowhere else. | 你只要看着我或者地板,不要看别处。 |
[26:17] | Nobody’s going to hurt you in there. | 在那儿没人会伤害你的 |
[26:21] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧。 |
[27:00] | Amanda? | |
[27:05] | Ms. Gamble, are you calling this witness? | Gamble女士,你要传唤证人吗? |
[27:12] | Amanda, you need to come up to the witness chair. | Amanda,你应该去坐到证人席上 |
[27:21] | Ms. Gamble? | |
[27:23] | Amanda. | |
[27:28] | Ms. Gamble? | |
[27:33] | Your honor… | 法官大人。。。 |
[27:36] | the commonwealth rests. | 控方举证完毕。 |
[27:38] | -Your honor– -You’re not calling this witness? | -法官大人 -你不传唤证人了? |
[27:41] | -No, your honor. -Sidebar, your honor. | -不了,法官大人 -请求上前商议,法官大人 |
[27:43] | Chambers. | 去内庭 |
[27:44] | I should be allowed to cross-examine. | 我应该被允许进行交叉盘问 |
[27:47] | I did not call her. | 我不传唤她出庭了 |
[27:49] | She just gave testimony in that room. | 她刚刚在那里作了证。 |
[27:51] | She did no such thing. | 她没有 |
[27:52] | She made an identification, | 她做出了一个身份指认 |
[27:53] | and you know it, Helen. | 你清楚这一点,Helen |
[27:55] | She looked at him, stared. | 她看着他,凝视着。 |
[27:56] | She did not take the stand. I didn’t call her. | 她没有作证,我还没有传唤她。 |
[27:59] | you needs an identification, | 你需要一个身份指认, |
[28:00] | so she waltzes that girl in there | 所以她把那个女孩拽到那里 |
[28:01] | to stare at my client without being sworn. | 在没有宣誓的情况下盯着我的客户看 |
[28:03] | I didn’t plan what was going to happen– | 发生的这些事不是我设计的。。。 |
[28:05] | Oh, please. | 噢,拉倒吧。 |
[28:06] | This cannot go to the jury. I want a mistrial. | 这不能交由陪审团裁决了,我要求宣布审判无效 |
[28:08] | Oh, right, then you’ll argue jeopardy has attached | 噢,对了,接下来你就可以 |
[28:10] | because we caused a mistrial. | 因为我们导致了无效审判而主张一罪不二审了 |
[28:12] | What, so he can walk free to rape another sixth grader? | 那他就可以自由了,再去强奸一个六年级的孩子? |
[28:14] | You don’t want to be responsible for that. | 你不会想因此而负责的 |
[28:17] | Is that what this is, Ms. Gamble? | 是那样的吗,Gamble女士? |
[28:19] | You couldn’t make the case,so you want me to take the heat | 你搞不定这个案子, 所以你想让我来承担无罪开释他的责任吗? |
[28:22] | for letting him back on the streets? | 你搞不定这个案子, 所以你想让我来承担无罪开释他的责任吗? |
[28:25] | I’m not trying to do that. | 我没有试图那样做。 |
[28:26] | If what just happened in there was planned, | 如果刚才发生的事是预先计划的 |
[28:29] | then he’s right– you are totally unethical. | 那他是对的。。。你是完全不讲道德的 |
[28:31] | And if you were surprised, you are grossly incompetent, | 如果你感到惊讶的话,你就是非常不称职的 |
[28:34] | even for a government lawyer. | 即使是政府律师。 |
[28:37] | Either way, you’re the one to blame for a mistrial here. | 不管怎样,你都要为这次无效审判负责。 |
[28:42] | You, not me. | 是你,不是我 |
[28:44] | We pushed that little girl before she was ready. | 在她准备好之前,我们把她硬推进去 |
[28:47] | You, especially, your honor. | 是你,尤其是你,法官大人 |
[28:48] | This is what happens. | 就是这么回事。 |
[28:49] | I say what happens here, not you. | 这里我说了算,不是你 |
[28:53] | Now get out. | 现在给我滚出去 |
[29:04] | Did you believe your sister at all? | 你完全相信你姐姐吗? |
[29:07] | No. She liked to shock people, | 不,她喜欢让别人吃惊 |
[29:10] | and this had a great shock value, | 而和继父上床可以让别人非常吃惊 |
[29:12] | sleeping with her stepfather. | 而和继父上床可以让别人非常吃惊 |
[29:14] | All attention would just turn to her. | 所有的关注都会转向她。 |
[29:17] | And you told this to the police? | 你把这些告诉警察了吗? |
[29:18] | Yes. | 是的 |
[29:20] | Okay, your dad– does he have a temper? | 那么,你的爸爸。。。他发怒了吗? |
[29:23] | Not really. | 不完全是, |
[29:24] | I mean, he can get mad, | 我的意思是,他气疯了 |
[29:34] | What about your mother? | 你妈妈呢? |
[29:37] | What about her? | 我妈妈? |
[29:39] | She had access | 她可以接触到被害人和凶器, |
[29:41] | to the victim and the murder weapon. | 她可以接触到被害人和凶器, |
[29:44] | What was your mother’s relationship with Fiona? | 你妈妈和Fiona的关系如何? |
[29:47] | It was fine. | 挺好的 |
[29:49] | Could you conceive of her wanting to harm your sister? | 你能想象她会想去伤害你姐姐吗? |
[29:53] | No. | 不能。 |
[29:59] | For me to help your dad, | 为了让我帮助你爸爸, |
[30:01] | is there anything you’re not telling me? | 还有什么你没告诉我的吗? |
[30:05] | My mother loved my sister. She would never hurt her. | 我妈妈爱我的姐姐,她不会伤害她的 |
[30:19] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, | 陪审团女士们先生们 |
[30:21] | Ms. Gamble’s bringing a witness into this room, | Gamble女士把一个证人带到法庭上, |
[30:23] | then changing her mind and deciding not to call her | 然后改变主意决定不传唤她作证, |
[30:26] | was one of the sorriest, most reprehensible things | 这是我做法官见过的最可恶、最应受谴责的事情之一 |
[30:29] | I have ever seen on the bench. | 这是我做法官见过的最可恶、最应受谴责的事情之一 |
[30:32] | Ms. Gamble’s arrogance and stupidity | Gamble女士的傲慢和愚蠢 |
[30:36] | should have been apparent to everyone in this courtroom. | 法庭上的每个人都应该清楚。 |
[30:40] | Now, the defendant has moved for a mistrial. | 现在,被告提出了审判无效的动议。 |
[30:47] | That motion is denied. | 这个动议被否决。 |
[30:50] | You are, however, to give no consideration | 然而,你们应忽略受害人在法庭上的表现 |
[30:53] | to the victim’s behavior in this room, | 然而,你们应忽略受害人在法庭上的表现 |
[30:56] | not even her presence– none. | 甚至要当她没有来过 |
[31:01] | The evidence before you is only the testimony of Ms. Tritter | 你们面前的证据只有Tritter女士和Inwood医生的证词 |
[31:06] | and the testimony of Dr. Inwood– | 你们面前的证据只有Tritter女士和Inwood医生的证词 |
[31:10] | nothing else. | 再没有别的了。 |
[31:11] | We’ll adjourn for 20 minutes, | 我们休庭20分钟 |
[31:14] | then, Mr. Pashman, you’ll begin your closing. | 然后,Pashman先生做结案陈词。 |
[31:21] | There’s no conflict per se. | 本质上没有利益冲突 |
[31:23] | Who you think did it doesn’t matter. | 你认为是谁干的都没所谓。 |
[31:24] | You’re simply trying to establish | 你只需要试图达成不是Raymond Littlefield做的即可 |
[31:26] | that Raymond Littlefield didn’t. | 你只需要试图达成不是Raymond Littlefield做的即可 |
[31:28] | Rebecca, you know what we’re talking about. | Rebecca,你知道我们在谈什么。 |
[31:30] | We might plan B the wife. | 我们可能要对其妻子实施B计划 |
[31:32] | She hired us, and I’m thinking she’s a client. | 她雇用的我们,我们认为她也是当事人 |
[31:36] | And are you going to do that? | 你打算那么做吗? |
[31:38] | We don’t know, but it’s an option. Can we? | 我们不知道,但这是一个选项,我们能吗? |
[31:40] | Well, here’s where it gets murky. | 这就是模棱两可的地方, |
[31:42] | If you tip her off that you plan to go after her, | 如果你向她透露你打算针对她, |
[31:44] | then it undermines the interest of Raymond. | 那就会损害了Raymond的利益。 |
[31:46] | We know it’s murky. I want the answer. | 我们知道这是模棱两可的,我要一个结论。 |
[31:49] | Don’t snap at me. I just got out of a coma. | 别冲我发火。我刚从昏迷中醒过来。 |
[31:51] | Look, we need independent counsel | 听着, 我们需要第三方律师给我们一个建议 |
[31:53] | to give us an opinion. | 听着, 我们需要第三方律师给我们一个建议 |
[31:54] | In the meantime, if we win on this hearsay issue, | 同时,如果我们有关传闻证据的动议获准, |
[31:57] | we won’t need to plan B anybody. | 我们就不需要对任何人采取B计划了 |
[31:59] | So let’s see how that goes. | 那就让我们等着看吧 |
[32:00] | What about Raymond’s mistress? | 那么Raymond的情妇呢? |
[32:02] | I’m meeting with her today. | 我会和她今天见面。 |
[32:06] | How’s she doing? | 她怎么样? |
[32:08] | Okay. She feels pretty good. | 她感觉还好。 |
[32:10] | What about emotionally? How’s she holding up? | 情绪怎么样,能撑得住吗? |
[32:12] | She’s scared. | 她挺害怕的。 |
[32:19] | All they have to identify my client– | 所有他们用来确认我的当事人。。。 |
[32:22] | all they have is the testimony of an admitted alcoholic | 他们所有的就是一个酒鬼的证词 |
[32:27] | who says she saw it for a couple of seconds | 她说当她喝醉时从200英尺外看了几秒钟 |
[32:30] | from 200 feet away while she was drinking. | 她说当她喝醉时从200英尺外看了几秒钟 |
[32:33] | That’s it. | 就这些 |
[32:36] | A two-second I.D. from 200 feet away | 从一个喝得太醉甚至不能开车的女人 |
[32:40] | from a woman who was too drunk to even drive at the time. | 在200英尺外用两秒钟的指认 |
[32:42] | Was there any physical evidence linking this crime to my client? | 是否有任何实物证据表明这一罪行与我的当事人有关? |
[32:46] | No. | 没有 |
[32:47] | Any DNA? No. | DNA证据?没有 |
[32:49] | A hair? A fiber? | 头发?衣物纤维? |
[32:53] | Secretion of oil from a hand? | 手上分泌的油脂? |
[32:55] | A fingerprint? Nothing. | 指纹?什么也没有 |
[32:58] | The say-so of a drunk at 200 feet– | 一个酒鬼在200英尺外的胡说。。。 |
[33:02] | that’s the prosecution’s entire case. | 那就是控方所有的 |
[33:06] | Beyond reasonable doubt. | 超越合理的怀疑 |
[33:13] | Sometimes the strength of a prosecution’s case | 有些时候,起诉案件的力度 |
[33:18] | can’t equal the horror of a crime. | 不可能比得上犯罪的恐怖。 |
[33:21] | An 11-year-old girl was raped. | 一个十一岁的孩子被强奸了 |
[33:24] | It would be nice to have DNA. | 如果有DNA证据当然好了 |
[33:27] | Eleven years old. | 十一岁呀 |
[33:28] | With the idea that a rapist | 想到那个强奸犯可能会放回去强奸更多的孩子 |
[33:30] | could be put back out there to rape more children, | 想到那个强奸犯可能会放回去强奸更多的孩子 |
[33:33] | I’d love to have more eyewitnesses than I do, | 我希望能有比我所找到的更多的目击证人, |
[33:37] | but as it is often the case, | 但通常情况下, |
[33:39] | when rapists abduct 11-year-old little girls | 当强奸犯绑架11岁的小女孩时 |
[33:42] | and drag them off to rape them, | 把她们拖出去强奸, |
[33:44] | they look for secluded areas | 他们寻找隐蔽的地方 |
[33:46] | where there’s less chance of being seen, | 在不太可能被看见的地方, |
[33:49] | and most rapists– they’re not seen. | 大多数强奸犯。。。他们没有被看到。 |
[33:52] | But this rapist was seen. | 但这个强奸犯被看到了 |
[33:54] | Michelle Tritter told you exactly what she saw, | Michelle Tritter告诉我们她所确切看见的 |
[33:58] | and her testimony is uncontroverted. | 而她的证词是无可争议的 |
[34:01] | She bravely got up there | 她勇敢地站出来 |
[34:04] | under attack, being called a drunk, | 保守攻击,被成为酒鬼 |
[34:07] | and she bravely told you what she saw. | 但她勇敢地告诉我们她看到了什么。 |
[34:11] | Now, the defense talked about all the evidence we don’t have. | 现在,辩方谈到了我们所没有的证据。 |
[34:17] | Why is that? | 为什么? |
[34:20] | It’s because they know what we do have– | 那是因为他们知道我们有什么。。。 |
[34:22] | the medical evidence, the eyewitness’ evidence | 医学证据,目击证人 |
[34:25] | is more than enough to convict. | 这足以定罪了 |
[34:29] | Ms. Tritter’s not perfect. | Tritter女士并不完美 |
[34:32] | No eyewitness ever is. | 没有目击证人是完美的 |
[34:35] | But if you believe her, | 但如果你们相信她 |
[34:37] | then you know what happened here. | 那你就知道这里发生了什么 |
[34:41] | Bruce Wilson was doing | Bruce Wilson所做的就是Michelle Tritter所看见的 |
[34:44] | exactly what Michelle Tritter saw him doing. | Bruce Wilson所做的就是Michelle Tritter所看见的 |
[34:48] | He was raping Amanda McGowan. | 他强奸了Amanda McGowan |
[34:50] | Eleven years old. | 才十一岁 |
[34:52] | It’s not a question of whether we’ve proved it | 我们是否超越合理怀疑地证明了这一点,毫无疑问 |
[34:55] | beyond reasonable doubt. | 我们是否超越合理怀疑地证明了这一点,毫无疑问 |
[34:56] | We have proved it beyond any doubt. | 我们超越合理怀疑地证明了这一点 |
[35:02] | The day his daughter was raped, | Howard McGowan在他女儿被强奸的那天问我 |
[35:05] | Howard McGowan asked me | Howard McGowan在他女儿被强奸的那天问我 |
[35:07] | if I would get the man who did this. | 我是否能抓住这个家伙 |
[35:10] | I told him I couldn’t really do that… | 我告诉他我真的做不到。。。 |
[35:15] | but you can. | 但你们能。 |
[35:23] | Do you realize my little girl | 你们意识到我的小姑娘已经比这家伙还大了吗? |
[35:25] | is already bigger than this guy? | 你们意识到我的小姑娘已经比这家伙还大了吗? |
[35:27] | Then I’d go straight C-section, | 要是我就直接破腹产了 |
[35:29] | that’s all I can say. | 我只能这么说了。 |
[35:31] | Oh, I’ll take her any way she comes. | 噢,到时候顺其自然吧 |
[35:33] | (baby coos) | |
[35:34] | Yeah. | |
[35:35] | (knock on door) | |
[35:37] | I’ll take him. Hey. | 我来抱他,嗨 |
[35:39] | She can stay. Just tell me. | 她可以呆在这儿,跟我说吧。 |
[35:42] | Um, you really want to know? | 唔,你真想知道? |
[35:44] | You really want to live? Tell me. | 你想活命吗?快告诉我 |
[35:46] | Lab results are normal, including the repeat CBC. | 实验室结果正常,血常规也正常 |
[35:50] | Meaning? | 这意味着? |
[35:51] | Meaning we need the bed, | 意味着我们需要腾出床位 |
[35:52] | and you’re starting to bug me, so go home. | 而你已经把我搞烦了,回家去吧 |
[35:55] | -Really? -I’ll give you the steroids to take home. | -真的吗? -我给你点类固醇带回家。 |
[35:57] | You can start tomorrow. | 明天开始吃 |
[35:58] | I’m okay? The baby’s okay? | 我没事了?孩子也没事? |
[36:01] | Crisis averted. | 警报解除了 |
[36:03] | Oh, my God. | 噢,天啊 |
[36:14] | Be seated. | 请坐下。 |
[36:18] | I have reviewed the prosecution’s proffer, | 我已经审查了检察官的提议 |
[36:21] | as well as the declaration of the victim’s therapist. | 以及受害者的治疗专家的声明。 |
[36:25] | The right to confront one’s accuser, | 与原告对质的权力、 |
[36:28] | the right to cross-examine prosecutorial witnesses– | 对控方证人交叉盘问的权力。。。 |
[36:32] | these are fundamental principles to our criminal justice system. | 这些是我们的刑事司法系统的基本原则 |
[36:37] | The statements made by the victim | 被害人关于她和被告私通的陈述。。。 |
[36:39] | that she was having an affair with the defendant– | 被害人关于她和被告私通的陈述。。。 |
[36:42] | these are out-of-court declarations, | 属于庭外陈述, |
[36:46] | being offered for the truth of those declarations. | 由于被用于(在法庭内)证实这些陈述的真实性, |
[36:51] | They constitute hearsay. | 就构成了传闻证据 |
[36:56] | They are inadmissible, | 这是被禁止的 |
[36:57] | and they will not be entered into evidence | 将不能被允许用于诉讼的呈堂证据 |
[37:01] | for the purpose of this proceeding. | 将不能被允许用于诉讼的呈堂证据 |
[37:03] | -We are adjourned. -(gavel pounds) | -休庭 |
[37:06] | Well, congratulations. | 不错,祝贺你 |
[37:08] | You now have an excellent chance at freedom. | 你现在很有机会获得自由 |
[37:11] | What happens now? | 刚才怎么回事? |
[37:13] | I expect the D. A. Will be calling me to strike a deal. | 我估计地区检察官会找我商量达成认罪协议 |
[37:14] | All they have now for evidence | 他们现在的证据就是你高尔夫球杆上的血迹 |
[37:16] | is the victim’s blood on your golf club, | 他们现在的证据就是你高尔夫球杆上的血迹 |
[37:18] | and they can’t make reasonable doubt on that. | 他们不能对此提出合理的怀疑 |
[37:29] | Are you accusing me of murder, Mr. Berluti? | 你是在指控我谋杀吗,Berluti先生? |
[37:32] | I’m doing no such thing. | 我不是这个意思 |
[37:34] | I’m just interviewing everybody who could conceivably have | 我是在与每一个有理由对Raymond Littlefield产生怨恨的人进行沟通 |
[37:37] | a grudge against Raymond Littlefield. | 我是在与每一个有理由对Raymond Littlefield产生怨恨的人进行沟通 |
[37:39] | You two were lovers. | 你们俩相爱过。 |
[37:41] | You broke up three months before– | 你们三个月前分手了。。。 |
[37:43] | If I were going to kill somebody out of anger, | 如果我因为怨恨而杀人, |
[37:45] | wouldn’t I have chosen him? | 我不会选择杀他吗? |
[37:47] | I’m not saying you killed anybody. I’m just– | 我不是说你杀了谁,我只是。。。 |
[37:49] | You’re looking for somebody to point the finger at | 你在寻找可以用来构建合理怀疑的人选 |
[37:53] | to create reasonable doubt. | 你在寻找可以用来构建合理怀疑的人选 |
[38:13] | Okay. | 那好吧。 |
[38:15] | As somebody who knows Mr. Littlefield, | 作为一个了解Littlefield的人 |
[38:18] | do you think he’s capable of committing this crime? | 你认为他能犯下这起罪行吗? |
[38:21] | I think anybody’s capable of swinging a golf club | 我认为任何人勃然大怒的话都能挥动高尔夫球杆 |
[38:25] | in a fit of rage. | 我认为任何人勃然大怒的话都能挥动高尔夫球杆 |
[38:27] | Do I think he did? | 我认为是他做的吗? |
[38:29] | No. | 不 |
[38:30] | Who’s your suspect, then? | 那么,你认为嫌犯是谁? |
[38:33] | Have you looked at his wife? | 你们查过她太太吗? |
[38:34] | You think she would kill her own daughter? | 你认为她会杀了她自己的女儿? |
[38:38] | I think anybody’s capable of swinging a golf club in a fit of rage | 我认为谁勃然大怒的话都能挥动高尔夫球杆 |
[38:44] | Why did you and Mr. Littlefield | 你和Littlefield先生为什么结束了恋情? |
[38:47] | end your affair? | 你和Littlefield先生为什么结束了恋情? |
[38:48] | His wife found out about it. | 她妻子发现了 |
[39:11] | The defendant will please rise. | 请被告起立 |
[39:17] | Mr. Foreman, | 陪审团主席先生 |
[39:19] | the jury has reached a unanimous verdict? | 陪审团达成一直裁决了吗? |
[39:23] | We have, your honor. | 是的,法官大人 |
[39:25] | What say you? | 请宣布 |
[39:27] | Commonwealth vs. Bruce Wilson | 关于马萨诸塞州诉Bruce Wilson |
[39:29] | on the count of rape of a child under 12. | 强奸12岁以下未成年人的罪名 |
[39:32] | We find the defendant Bruce Wilson… | 我们裁决被告Bruce Wilson。。。 |
[39:37] | guilty. | 有罪 |
[39:40] | Members of the jury, this completes your service. | 陪审团成员们,你们尽到了你们义务 |
[39:42] | You’re dismissed with the thanks of the court. | 法庭感谢你们,你们可以解散了 |
[39:45] | Security, please take the defendant into custody. | 法警,请将被告收押 |
[39:47] | We’ll see you on March the 20th for sentencing, | 我们将于三月二十日宣布量刑 |
[39:50] | and we’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[40:01] | We’ll need a victim impact statement | 我们会需要一份受害者作用声明 |
[40:03] | from you and Amanda. | (受害者作用声明是司法程序的一部分,使受害人有机会 在对罪犯判决期间或在随后的假释听证会上发言) |
[40:06] | Ms. Gamble… | |
[40:09] | Go see your daughter. | 去看你的女儿吧 |
[40:19] | (sighs) | |
[40:24] | (knock on door) | |
[40:27] | You look ready to dance. | 你看起来准备要去舞会 |
[40:30] | Actually, I am, as blown away as I feel. | 实际上,我,感觉自己被惊呆了 |
[40:38] | What’s up? | 发生什么事了? |
[40:40] | Well, when I called you, | 呃,我给你打电话的时候, |
[40:42] | I was prepared to offer manslaughter. | 我是准备提出过失杀人的认罪条件 |
[40:45] | Then… | 然后。。。 |
[40:46] | What? | 怎么了? |
[40:48] | DNA analysis came up from Baltimore. | 从巴尔的摩传过来的DNA测试结果 |
[40:51] | There was some contaminated blood | 在受害人阴道附近有一些被污染的血迹 |
[40:53] | on the victim near the vagina. | 在受害人阴道附近有一些被污染的血迹 |
[40:56] | We’ve identified the contaminant. | 我们已经确认了污染物是少量的精液 |
[40:59] | It was a trace of semen. | 我们已经确认了污染物是少量的精液 |
[41:01] | It genetically matches your client. | 基因测试与你的当事人匹配 |
[41:11] | We’re as shocked as you. | 我们和你一样感到震惊 |
[41:13] | If you need more time to prepare, | 如果你需要多一些时间准备的话 |
[41:16] | we’ll of course agree to a continuance. | 我们当然会同意延期 |
[41:24] | Don’t lie to me. | 别骗我。 |
[41:25] | It can’t be right. | 这肯定弄错了 |
[41:27] | It’s pretty much a scientific certainty, Raymond. | 从科学上讲几乎就是确定性的,Raymond |
[41:30] | They will now be able to prove | 他们现在可以证明你在那里和她做爱 |
[41:31] | you were there and you had sex with her. | 他们现在可以证明你在那里和她做爱 |
[41:34] | The game is over, Raymond. | 这事完蛋了,Raymond |
[41:36] | If I have any chance– any chance at all | 如果我们有任何机会。。。 |
[41:38] | of saving you from a life sentence, | 可以让你免于终身监禁的话 |
[41:40] | you have to tell me how that semen got there. | 你必须告诉我精液是怎么弄到那儿的 |
[41:43] | I didn’t kill her. | 我没有杀她 |
[41:44] | How did that semen get there, Raymond? | 精液是怎么弄到那儿的,Raymond |
[41:46] | (exhales) | |
[41:52] | Aside from being sick, | |
[41:55] | you’re screwed. | 你搞砸了 |
[42:00] | I didn’t kill her, Mr. Donnell. | 我没有杀她,Donnell先生 |
[42:05] | Whatever else might have happened between us, | 不管我们之间发生过什么, |
[42:10] | I did not kill her. | 我没有杀她 |
[42:21] | Oh, my God! | 噢,天呀 |
[42:24] | And it took them till now to identify it? | 直到现在他们才发现? |
[42:26] | Evidently, it was contaminated. | 显然,它被污染了。 |
[42:27] | Now they’re sure it’s his semen. | 现在他们确定是他的精液。 |
[42:30] | Unbelievable. | 真不能相信 |
[42:32] | How old was the stepdaughter? | 他继女多大? |
[42:33] | Sixteen. | 十六 |
[42:34] | What a pig. | |
[42:35] | Are you ready for your soup? | 准备好喝汤了吗? |
[42:37] | You have to eat now. | 你现在得吃饭了。 |
[42:39] | Yes, but I have to go to the bathroom first, | 是的,但我得先去洗手间, |
[42:41] | and it needs more salt. | 还需要多放点盐。 |
[42:42] | How do you know? | 你没喝怎么知道的? |
[42:44] | Because your soup always does. | 因为你做的汤一直就缺盐 |
[42:46] | And who makes soup for breakfast, anyway? | 不管怎样,早餐是谁做的汤? |
[42:49] | Get your own nurse, one who can fry an egg. | 自己去找护士吧,会煎蛋的那种 |
[42:51] | I can scramble eggs. | 我能炒鸡蛋的 |
[42:53] | Fantastic. His own stepdaughter– | 太诡异了,他自己的继女。。。 |
[42:54] | You know, kids just aren’t innocent anymore, Jimmy. | Jimmy,你知道,孩子们不再是无辜的了 |
[42:56] | These days, it’s all about– | 这段时间,都是有关。。。 |
[42:57] | (crash) | |
[42:58] | Ellenor! | |
[42:59] | Ellenor! Ellenor! Oh, God. Ellenor. | |
[43:04] | Ellenor? Oh, jeez. | |
[43:07] | Oh. Oh, Ellenor. | |
[43:08] | Yes, it’s an emergency. | 喂,紧急情况。 |
[43:10] | We got a woman, eight months pregnant, | 一个女人,八个月身孕, |
[43:13] | unconscious. | 昏迷了 |
[43:15] | -Is she breathing? -Get an ambulance. | -她还有呼吸吗? -叫救护车 |
[43:16] | We need an ambulance now. | 我们现在需要救护车 |
[43:18] | 466 Milbury Street, apartment 11-B. | Milbury街466号,11-B公寓 |
[43:22] | Ellenor, please, oh, please. | |
[43:23] | Get it here now! | 快点来吧! |
[43:35] | ♪ (theme) | |
[44:01] | You stinker! |