时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | LINDSAY: Previously on “The Practice”… | 前集回顾部分未作翻译 |
[00:02] | I’m on call | |
[00:03] | for my rape crisis center today. | |
[00:05] | Is that going to be okay? | |
[00:06] | I thought you were just in training. | |
[00:08] | I thought you were volunteering nights. | |
[00:09] | I finished training this weekend, | |
[00:10] | and I am volunteering nights. | |
[00:12] | Can I get you anything — a blanket, maybe? | |
[00:15] | No! Aah! | |
[00:17] | She panicked. She totally panicked. | |
[00:20] | Well, you won’t do that next time. | |
[00:22] | There’s not going to be a next time. | |
[00:24] | Maddie. | |
[00:25] | Are you Lucy? | |
[00:27] | Yeah. | |
[00:30] | Thank you. | |
[00:32] | Sure. | |
[00:34] | I’m going to see you at the clinic, right? | |
[00:37] | I’ll be there. | |
[00:39] | Harland Bassett to see Eugene Young. | |
[00:42] | Is he available? | |
[00:43] | Um… | |
[00:45] | Eugene. | |
[00:48] | She’s my niece, | |
[00:50] | so naturally, I have a vested interest, | |
[00:51] | besides her being innocent. | |
[00:53] | Is it a burglary? | |
[00:55] | No, no, no, just shoplifting. | |
[00:57] | It’s a false I. D., Eugene. | |
[00:59] | -Are you certain this is the woman you saw? -I am. | |
[01:02] | -Positive? -Yes. | |
[01:05] | At this time, I would ask | |
[01:06] | that the real Emma Luger please stand up. | |
[01:08] | I will see counsel in chambers. | |
[01:11] | Both of you are in contempt. | |
[01:13] | I didn’t know. | |
[01:15] | I told you I would hold you accountable. | |
[01:16] | You’re in contempt. | |
[01:22] | Who’s your D. A.? | 你配合的地区检察官是谁? |
[01:24] | Helen Gamble. | |
[01:25] | You know, I actually really like working with her. | 你知道的,其实我很喜欢跟她一起工作。 |
[01:29] | Don’t you have a kid to go home to? | 你不回家看孩子吗? |
[01:31] | I do, and I’m going. How late are you going to be? | 是的,我要走了。你要呆到多晚? |
[01:34] | Oh, not much longer. | 噢,不太久。 |
[01:36] | Richard. | |
[01:40] | Guzman — 18 months. | Guzman。。。给他的条件是服刑18个月。 |
[01:44] | That’s the same offer you made over the phone. | 这跟你电话里说的一样呀。 |
[01:48] | I know. I came here to make it in person. | 我知道,我是私下到这里想达成这个交易 |
[01:51] | What’s the matter? | 出什么事了? |
[01:52] | Nothing. | 没什么。 |
[01:53] | I just think you should take the deal on Guzman. | 我只是认为你们应该接受这个条件。 |
[01:56] | The drugs weren’t his. I can’t recommend him — | 毒品不是他的。我不能建议他。。。 |
[01:59] | He won’t win this. | 他赢不了的 |
[02:01] | You’re acting a little odd. Why have you come down here? | 你这样有点怪。你为什么来这里? |
[02:05] | I’m talking to you now not just as a D. A., Lindsay, | Lindsay,我现在不是作为一个地区检察官, |
[02:08] | but one with whom your firm has a relationship. | 而是一个和你们事务所有关系的人来和你谈的 |
[02:10] | Do your client a very big favor | 帮你的当事人一个大忙吧, |
[02:12] | and convince him to take this deal. | 说服他接受这个交易。 |
[02:16] | I’m gonna ask you one more time. | 我还是要再问你一次。 |
[02:18] | What is going on? | 到底怎么回事? |
[02:19] | I’m just here to suggest very strongly | 我只是在这里强烈建议他接受服刑18个月的条件。 |
[02:21] | that he take the 18 months. | 我只是在这里强烈建议他接受服刑18个月的条件。 |
[02:23] | That’s all I will say. | 我要说的就这些 |
[02:26] | The offer is rejected. | 这个条件不能接受。 |
[02:27] | Linsay, please. | Linsay,拜托了 |
[02:32] | Tell me more than what you’re telling me. | 跟我多解释一下。 |
[02:33] | I can’t. | 我不能 |
[02:36] | The offer is rejected. | 那这个条件不能接受 |
[03:40] | 18 months doesn’t sound like a terrible offer. | 18个月听起来不算是一个糟糕的提议 |
[03:42] | He says the drugs weren’t his. | 他说毒品并不是他的。 |
[03:45] | Understood, but if your defense is the police planted them, | 可以理解,但在他有前科的情况下, 如果你辩称毒品是警察栽赃的话。。。 |
[03:47] | when he’s got a prior — | 可以理解,但在他有前科的情况下, 如果你辩称毒品是警察栽赃的话。。。 |
[03:48] | Well, first of all, I think I can beat the search. | 首先,我认为我能使搜查无效 |
[03:51] | What if you can’t? Will the deal still be there? | 如果你不能呢?交易还有效吗? |
[03:53] | I don’t know. | 我不知道。 |
[03:54] | Take it. | 接受吧。 |
[03:57] | Take it. | 接受吧 |
[03:58] | Take it. | 接受吧。 |
[03:59] | Eugene? Eugene? | |
[04:04] | I saw you, Eugene. Very funny. | 我看到你了,Eugene,你们可真行。 |
[04:12] | After the detective, I’ll call you to the stand. | 警探做完证后,我会传唤你出庭。 |
[04:15] | You’ll make the I. D., | 你要做出身份指认, |
[04:16] | and then I’ll ask you to describe the rape. | 而后我会要你描述一下强奸的情况。 |
[04:18] | Now, I’m going to need you | 现在,我需要你尽量地详细描述。 |
[04:20] | to be as detailed as possible. | 现在,我需要你尽量地详细描述。 |
[04:22] | Okay, Meredith? | 好吗,Meredith? |
[04:25] | Meredith? Meredith? | |
[04:27] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[04:29] | Look, I know this is rough, | 我知道这很难受, |
[04:31] | but I’ll be there with you. | 但我会在那儿跟你在一起。 |
[04:32] | I’ll walk you through this. | 我会引导你的 |
[04:34] | I don’t understand why it’s me who has to go on trial. | 我不理解为什么我不得不去接受审判。 |
[04:36] | You won’t be on trial. | 你不是接受审判,那只不过看起来有点像而已。 |
[04:38] | It’s just going to seem that way. | 你不是接受审判,那只不过看起来有点像而已。 |
[04:41] | I’ll come get you in a few minutes. | 我几分钟后来找你 |
[04:43] | Okay. | 好的 |
[04:49] | Your parents didn’t fly in? | 你父母没有坐飞机过来吗? |
[04:51] | I talked them out of it. | 我说服他们别来。 |
[04:56] | The truth is the less people that know me in there, | 实际上法庭里认识我的人越少越好。 |
[04:59] | the better. | 实际上法庭里认识我的人越少越好。 |
[05:01] | Meredith, you don’t have any shame in this. | Meredith,你不必为此感到羞耻。 |
[05:04] | I know, but that defense attorney, | 我明白,但你说过,辩护律师,他会把这归咎于我。 |
[05:06] | he is going to blame me. You said that yourself. | 我明白,但你说过,辩护律师,他会把这归咎于我。 |
[05:08] | I also said that that’s standard strategy | 我也说过那是在约会强奸案件中的一般辩护策略。 |
[05:11] | in date rape cases. | 我也说过那是在约会强奸案件中的一般辩护策略。 |
[05:12] | If you just go in there and stay strong, | 只要你作证时保持强硬,坚持事实,你会没事的。 |
[05:15] | stick to the truth, you’re going to be fine. | 只要你作证时保持强硬,坚持事实,你会没事的。 |
[05:19] | Thank you for being here. | 谢谢你能来这儿。 |
[05:21] | I would have never made it this far. | 我原本可能走不到这一步的。 |
[05:24] | Well, you have. | 你能行的。 |
[05:27] | There’s just a little further to go. | 也只有一小段路要走了。 |
[05:33] | The stuff wasn’t mine. | 那些东西不是我的。 |
[05:35] | 10 grams, Manny. | 十克呀,Manny。 |
[05:36] | You could be looking at a lot of time. | 你可能面临很长时间的服刑。 |
[05:38] | Look, if they’re offering 18 months, | 你看,如果他们提出18个月的条件, |
[05:40] | that tells me the D.A. knows this is weak. | 那就等于告诉我们地区检察官知道立案依据很脆弱。 |
[05:42] | Or maybe he knows the drugs were planted. | 或者也许他们知道毒品是栽赃的。 |
[05:44] | I don’t think he’d prosecute if he thought that. | 如果是那样,我认为他们不会起诉。 |
[05:50] | Look… | 听着。。。 |
[05:54] | this D. A., he seems to be suggesting | 地区检察官似乎是在暗示这里会有些别的问题。 |
[05:57] | that something else could be in play here. | 地区检察官似乎是在暗示这里会有些别的问题。 |
[06:00] | Do you know what that could be? | 你知道会是什么吗? |
[06:02] | No. | 不知道。 |
[06:04] | Could he be bluffing, | 他可能是怕在排除证据听证会上失败而虚张声势吗? |
[06:05] | afraid he might lose the suppression hearing? | 他可能是怕在排除证据听证会上失败而虚张声势吗? |
[06:07] | It’s possible, but I didn’t get that feeling. | 有可能,但我感觉不是。 |
[06:10] | Why not just try with the motion to suppress? | 那为什么就不去尝试提出排除证据动议呢? |
[06:12] | And if we lose — | 如果我们输了。。。 |
[06:14] | My concern is | 我担心的是如果他们赢了就会撤回认罪交易。 |
[06:15] | the state may pull the plea if they win on that. | 我担心的是如果他们赢了就会撤回认罪交易。 |
[06:17] | The stuff wasn’t mine. | 那东西不是我的。 |
[06:22] | I’m not going to cop to it. | 我不会承认的 |
[06:27] | Let’s try to suppress. We’ll go from there. | 那就让我们提起排除动议,我们从那儿开始着手吧 |
[06:39] | Ms. Dole. | Dole女士 |
[06:41] | Uh, look, | 呃,是这样的, |
[06:43] | I basically raised my brother. | 实际上是我把我弟弟带大的。 |
[06:45] | He never knew his father. | 他从来没见过他父亲 |
[06:47] | Now, he’s an honest kid, and he’s made mistakes, | 他是个诚实的孩子,他也犯了错, |
[06:51] | but he owns them when he does. | 但他做的事他会承认的。 |
[06:53] | Look, what I’m trying to say is | 听着,我想表达的意思是, |
[06:56] | if he says the drugs weren’t his, | 如果他说毒品不是他的,那就不是他的。 |
[06:59] | they weren’t his. | 如果他说毒品不是他的,那就不是他的。 |
[07:00] | I’ll do my best, Hector. | Hector,我会尽力的。 |
[07:02] | Ms. Dole, look, I — I’ve done okay for myself. | Dole女士,你看,我。。。我自己混得还不错。 |
[07:07] | I have the auto shop and all, but… | 我有汽车行等生意,但是。。。 |
[07:11] | Manny — he’s good at school, even. | Manny。。。他学习不错,甚至有机会上大学。 |
[07:14] | He’s got a chance at college. | Manny。。。他学习不错,甚至有机会上大学。 |
[07:17] | I’ll help your brother as best I can. | 我会尽可能地帮助你的弟弟。 |
[07:20] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[07:24] | I developed the case. I already settled out | 我发掘了这个案子,我已经和医生一起落实了案情 |
[07:26] | with the doctor. I just need — | 我需要的就是。。。 |
[07:27] | For $45,000. | 四万五千美金。 |
[07:28] | 13-year-old girl, liver failure? | 十三岁的女孩,肝衰竭? |
[07:31] | $45,000 seems low. | 四万五千美金看起来不多 |
[07:33] | They needed the money. | 他们需要钱。 |
[07:34] | Plus, the drug company is the deep pocket here. | 另外,制药公司是实力很雄厚的 |
[07:36] | Well, have they offered anything? | 那么,他们提供了什么? |
[07:38] | Not yet, but you know how this goes. | 还没有,但是你知道会怎么样的 |
[07:40] | Things get settled on the courthouse steps. | 这类事是在庭外和解的。 |
[07:42] | I expect an offer. | 我希望有人出个价 |
[07:43] | Oh, you do. | 噢,是啊。 |
[07:46] | The girl got hurt bad, Eugene, like you say, | Eugene,如你所说,这个女孩受害很严重, |
[07:48] | and these big drug companies, | 而这些大制药公司, |
[07:50] | they don’t like the publicity of trials. | 他们不希望公开的审判。 |
[07:52] | They don’t like to set a precedent of settling, either. | 但他们也不喜欢开创和解的先例。 |
[07:54] | Now, you said this drug comes with a warning to doctors — | 现在,你说这种药附有给医生的提醒。。。 |
[07:58] | “Not proven to be safe and effective | “对16岁以下的孩子未被证明是安全有效的” |
[08:00] | on children under 16.” | “对16岁以下的孩子未被证明是安全有效的” |
[08:01] | Saying “Not proven to be safe” | “未被证明是安全有效的”和“危险”是两回事。 |
[08:03] | is different from saying “Dangerous.” | “未被证明是安全有效的”和“危险”是两回事。 |
[08:05] | I’m telling you, Eugene, there’s a case here. | 我告诉你,Eugene,这就是个案子 |
[08:07] | They’ll settle this. | 他们会就此和解的。 |
[08:12] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[08:13] | And why do you need me? | 你为什么需要我呢? |
[08:15] | Well, my track record in product liability cases — | 呃,我在产品责任案件方面的办案记录。。。 |
[08:19] | I don’t think I exactly put the fear of God in them. | 我觉得我吓唬不住他们。 |
[08:22] | Now, your case where you took on the EPA — | 你们起诉环保署的案子。。。 |
[08:25] | A $30 million verdict. | 判了三千万美金。 |
[08:26] | It was cut down. | 那被砍掉了。 |
[08:28] | But you got the verdict. | 但你们毕竟得到了判决。 |
[08:29] | If I have you guys on board as co-counsel, | 如果我有你们这些人作为协办律师, |
[08:32] | I know I can chip the settlement up. | 我知道我能提高和解的筹码。 |
[08:34] | I’ll give you a third of my contingency. | 我会把我风险代理费的三分之一给你们。 |
[08:36] | Harland, I don’t know. | Harland,我说不好 |
[08:37] | Please. These are good people, Eugene. | 拜托了,你们都很优秀,Eugene |
[08:40] | Yeah, but every time I sign up with you, | 是啊,但是我每次和你签约, |
[08:42] | I end up getting embarrassed. | 结果我都会很尴尬 |
[08:43] | That’s not going to happen this time. | 这次不会的 |
[08:45] | I’ve worked hard here. | 这案子我费了很大的劲。 |
[08:46] | I developed the file. | 我发掘的这个案子 |
[08:48] | I beat their motion to dismiss. | 我赢下了他们要求撤销案子的动议。 |
[08:50] | I got it to trial. | 我使这个案子进入庭审了 |
[08:52] | I got it to trial. | 我使这个案子进入庭审了 |
[08:54] | But you don’t think you can win at trial. | 但你认为你赢不下来 |
[08:57] | That’s why you’re so desperate to settle. | 这就是为什么你如此渴望达成和解。 |
[09:00] | I just want to be sure they get something. | 我只是想确保他们能有所得。 |
[09:10] | We had been to a party and he was walking me home. | 我们参加了一个聚会,他带我回家 |
[09:14] | the defendant? | 指被告吗? |
[09:15] | Yes. | 是的 |
[09:18] | And we got about halfway to my dorm | 走到离我宿舍还有一半路的时候,那时。。。 |
[09:25] | when… | 走到离我宿舍还有一半路的时候,那时。。。 |
[09:27] | When what, Meredith? | 那时怎么了,Meredith? |
[09:29] | Well, first he just started saying | 呃,开始只是说他想跟我一起进屋亲热一下 |
[09:32] | that he was going to come back to my room | 呃,开始只是说他想跟我一起进屋亲热一下 |
[09:34] | with me so that we could fool around. | 呃,开始只是说他想跟我一起进屋亲热一下 |
[09:36] | What did you say to that? | 你对此说了什么? |
[09:39] | I think I laughed it off. | 我认为我是一笑了之。 |
[09:41] | I didn’t want to be mean, | 我不想损他,所以我实际上没有回答他。 |
[09:43] | so I didn’t really answer him. | 我不想损他,所以我实际上没有回答他。 |
[09:45] | And then when we got to my room, | 然后我们到了我的房间, |
[09:48] | we went inside. | 我们一起进去了。 |
[09:50] | You let him in? | 你让他进去了? |
[09:51] | Yes. | 是的 |
[09:53] | We were still talking, | 我们一直在聊天 |
[09:55] | and I had some soda in my refrigerator, | 我冰箱里有些苏打水, |
[09:57] | so we had a drink. | 我们喝了一杯 |
[10:00] | And then, suddenly, he just grabbed me, | 然后,他突然抓住我, |
[10:04] | and he tried to kiss me. | 试图吻我。 |
[10:06] | What did you do then? | 那么你做了什么呢? |
[10:08] | I pushed him off. | 我把他推开。 |
[10:10] | We weren’t even on a date. | 我们甚至连约会都算不上。 |
[10:12] | He was just walking me home from a party. | 他只不过是从聚会上送我回家而已 |
[10:14] | And what happened after you tried to push him off? | 你试图推开他后发生了什么? |
[10:17] | I think I laughed again, | 我觉得我又笑了, |
[10:19] | I don’t know, | 我说不好, |
[10:21] | to make the situation less awkward, | 是为了让气氛不那么尴尬。 |
[10:24] | but I told him, “No. It’s time to go.” | 但是我跟他说了,“不行,你该走了” |
[10:28] | And he grabbed me again. | 但他再次抓住我。 |
[10:31] | After you said no? | 在你说不行之后? |
[10:34] | Yes. | 对 |
[10:35] | He pushed me onto the floor. | 他把我推倒在地板上。 |
[10:37] | And then what, Meredith? | Meredith,然后呢? |
[10:39] | He pulled up my skirt | 他把我的裙子掀起来。并。。。 |
[10:42] | and… | 他把我的裙子掀起来。并。。。 |
[10:47] | he pulled my panties down. | 他褪下了我的内裤。 |
[10:50] | What did you do? | 你做了什么? |
[10:51] | I tried to fight him off, | 我试图挣脱他, |
[10:55] | but he had my knees pinned to the floor, | 但他把我的膝盖压在地板上, |
[10:59] | and I couldn’t… | 我无法。。。 |
[11:03] | and then he was, um… | 然后他就。。。 |
[11:07] | forcing himself inside of me. | 强行插入了我。 |
[11:13] | And did you have intercourse? | 你们交媾了吗? |
[11:15] | It wasn’t intercourse. | 那不是交媾。 |
[11:17] | At anytime did you consent to this? | 你在某个时刻对此认可了吗? |
[11:20] | No. | 没有 |
[11:23] | He was raping me. | 他强奸了我。 |
[11:35] | I was on night patrol | 我在夜间巡逻时看到被告闯过停止标志线 |
[11:36] | when I saw the defendant run the stop sign. | 我在夜间巡逻时看到被告闯过停止标志线 |
[11:37] | I pulled him over. | 我把他拦下来。 |
[11:39] | What happened next? | 接下来呢? |
[11:40] | As I approached the defendant’s vehicle, | 当我靠近被告的汽车时,他做了个鬼鬼祟祟的动作 |
[11:42] | he made a furtive gesture. | 当我靠近被告的汽车时,他做了个鬼鬼祟祟的动作 |
[11:43] | What exactly did he do? | 他到底做了什么? |
[11:45] | He reached under the seat | 他把手伸到座位下面就好像他去要拿武器一样。 |
[11:46] | as if he was going for a weapon. | 他把手伸到座位下面就好像他去要拿武器一样。 |
[11:47] | And what did you do, officer? | 那你做了什么,警官? |
[11:48] | Fearing for my safety, | 出于担心自身安全, |
[11:50] | I pulled out my service revolver | 我拔出了我的左轮配枪并喝令他下车。 |
[11:51] | and asked him to step out of the vehicle. | 我拔出了我的左轮配枪并喝令他下车。 |
[11:53] | I then began to search the vehicle | 因为可能有武器,我随后对车辆进行了搜查 |
[11:55] | for a possible weapon. | 因为可能有武器,我随后对车辆进行了搜查 |
[11:56] | Did you find any? | 找到武器了吗? |
[11:57] | No, but under the driver’s seat | 没有,但在驾驶座下有个塑料袋, |
[11:59] | was a plastic baggie containing what was | 里面装有随后被确定为10克的强效可卡因 |
[12:01] | later determined to be 10 grams of crack cocaine. | 里面装有随后被确定为10克的强效可卡因 |
[12:03] | I placed the defendant under arrest | 我逮捕了被告并向他宣读了他的权力 |
[12:04] | and advised him of his rights. | 我逮捕了被告并向他宣读了他的权力 |
[12:08] | You feared for your safety? | 你那时担心你的安全? |
[12:10] | That’s correct. | 没错。 |
[12:11] | After you got the defendant out of his car, | 在你让被告下车之后, |
[12:13] | what did you do next? | 你接着做了什么? |
[12:15] | I searched for weapons. | 我去搜查武器。 |
[12:16] | Did you call for backup? | 你呼叫后援了吗? |
[12:18] | No, I thought I could handle it. | 没有,我认为我能应付得了 |
[12:19] | Did you pat frisk? | 你搜他身了吗? |
[12:21] | Actually, I thought the weapon was in the vehicle. | 实际上,我以为武器是在车里。 |
[12:23] | How about handcuffs? | 给他戴手铐了吗? |
[12:24] | At that point, no. | 当时没有。 |
[12:26] | You were alone, and you left my client | 你是单独一个人, |
[12:28] | unrestrained and unsupervised? | 而你把我的当事人在不受控制和监督的情况下留在一边? |
[12:30] | Like I said, I thought I could– | 就像我说过的,我以为我能。。。 |
[12:31] | While you were searching the vehicle, | 你在搜车的时候,被告站在哪里? |
[12:32] | where was the defendant standing? | 你在搜车的时候,被告站在哪里? |
[12:33] | A few feet behind me, I guess. | 我估计在我后面几英尺吧。 |
[12:35] | You turned your back on him | 你担心自身安全时,你转过身背向他? |
[12:37] | while in fear for your safety? | 你担心自身安全时,你转过身背向他? |
[12:38] | Only for about 30 seconds or so. | 也就大概30秒左右。 |
[12:41] | Your honor, we move to suppress all evidence in this case. | 法官大人,我们提出排除本案所有证据的动议。 |
[12:43] | Officer Lemay’s search here | Lemay警官当场的搜查并不属于特里例外 (特里例外或特里标准,来自1968年的特里案件,指警方 要进行拦截和搜查时要具有对危险的合理怀疑才是合法的) |
[12:44] | clearly does not fall under the terry exception. | Lemay警官当场的搜查并不属于特里例外 (特里例外或特里标准,来自1968年的特里案件,指警方 要进行拦截和搜查时要具有对危险的合理怀疑才是合法的) |
[12:46] | He has failed to provide any legal basis | 他无法提供任何搜查武器的合法依据。 |
[12:48] | for a weapon search. | 他无法提供任何搜查武器的合法依据。 |
[12:49] | The fact that the defendant made a furtive gesture | 被告做了一个鬼鬼祟祟的动作是不争的事实。 |
[12:52] | is not disputed here. | 被告做了一个鬼鬼祟祟的动作是不争的事实。 |
[12:53] | If you consider | 如果您考虑到被告的可疑行为, |
[12:54] | the defendant’s suspicious behavior, | 如果您考虑到被告的可疑行为, |
[12:56] | the time of night, the neighborhood — | 时值夜间,所处街区。。。 |
[12:58] | a reasonable police officer | 一个有理智的警官是会担心自身安全并去搜查车辆的 |
[12:59] | would have feared for his safety | 一个有理智的警官是会担心自身安全并去搜查车辆的 |
[13:01] | and searched the car. | 一个有理智的警官是会担心自身安全并去搜查车辆的 |
[13:02] | Perhaps, but the fact remains, | 也许会,但实际情况仍然是, |
[13:04] | Officer Lemay failed to conduct a simple pat frisk. | Lemay警官没有做一个简单的搜身。 |
[13:07] | That tells me he wasn’t threatened by this defendant, | 这等于是告诉我们,他没有受到来自被告的威胁, |
[13:11] | nor was he concerned for his safety. | 也没有担心自身的安全。 |
[13:13] | I am finding the search to be illegal. | 我现在裁定这次搜查是不合法的。 |
[13:15] | The charges are dismissed. | 指控被撤销。 |
[13:30] | Thank you. Thank you so much. | 谢谢你,太谢谢你了。 |
[13:33] | Manuel Guzman, you’re under arrest. | Manuel Guzman,你被捕了。 |
[13:35] | -Get your hands off him! -Step back, sir. | -把你的手拿开! -退后,先生。 |
[13:36] | What’s going on here? | 这里怎么回事? |
[13:38] | Immigration, your honor. | 我们是移民局的,法官大人。 |
[13:40] | We’re placing this man under arrest. | 我们要逮捕这个人。 |
[13:41] | On what grounds? | 什么理由? |
[13:42] | Violations of the Illegal Immigration Reform | 违反非法移民改革法案和移民责任法案。 |
[13:44] | and Immigrant Responsibility act. | 违反非法移民改革法案和移民责任法案。 |
[13:47] | What? | 什么? |
[13:48] | What’s happening? | 怎么回事? |
[13:55] | You’re deporting him? | 你们要把他驱除出境吗? |
[13:57] | Don’t worry, Manny. I’ll take care of this. | 别担心,Manny,我会处理的 |
[13:59] | Don’t say a word to anybody, okay? Do not talk. | 别跟任何人说任何一个字,明白吗?不要说话。 |
[14:13] | Where to? | 送到哪儿? |
[14:14] | I guess the conference room. | 我想是会议室。 |
[14:17] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事? |
[14:19] | Oh, uh, Harland Bassett. | 噢,呃,我是Harland Bassett |
[14:21] | Yes, I know. What’s going on? | 嗯,我知道,这怎么回事? |
[14:22] | Eugene and I have a settlement conference. | Eugene和我有个和解会议。 |
[14:24] | Here? | 在这儿? |
[14:26] | Yes. Opposing counsel wanted to have it at my office, | 是的,对方律师想在我的办公室举行会议, |
[14:28] | I think because they suspect I don’t have one. | 我觉得是因为他们怀疑我连办公室都没有。 |
[14:31] | Harland — | |
[14:32] | I can’t have our office cluttered up — | 我不能让我们的办公室被搞得乱七八糟。。。 |
[14:34] | I will make it all neat, I swear. | 我会弄干净的,我发誓。 |
[14:38] | Eugene. | |
[14:44] | I didn’t know he was going to bring the stuff here. | 我不知道他会把东西带到这里来 |
[14:48] | What’s this case, and what’s our involvement? | 什么案子,我们在其中参与了什么? |
[14:51] | Product liability against a drug company | 针对制药商使一个女孩受到伤害的产品责任案, Harland他。。。 |
[14:53] | that injured a little girl. Harland — | 针对制药商使一个女孩受到伤害的产品责任案, Harland他。。。 |
[14:55] | This guy ponies you up every time. | 这家伙每次都把你当马驹骑。 |
[14:56] | I told him I’d join him for a settlement conference. | 我告诉他我会和他一起参加一个和解会议 |
[14:59] | That’s all it will be. | 仅此而已。 |
[15:00] | Why can’t you ever say no to this guy? | 你为什么就不能拒绝这家伙呢? |
[15:03] | Very good question. | 哎,问得好。 |
[15:10] | You invited my client into your dormitory room, | 你邀请我的客户到你的宿舍,不是吗,Danzer女士? |
[15:12] | didn’t you, Ms. Danzer? | 你邀请我的客户到你的宿舍,不是吗,Danzer女士? |
[15:14] | I didn’t invite him in to have sex. | 我没有邀请他来做爱。 |
[15:16] | You invited him in, offered him a drink. | 你请他进来,请他喝了一杯。 |
[15:19] | A soda. | 一杯苏打水。 |
[15:20] | Had you been drinking alcohol that evening? | 那天晚上你喝酒了吗? |
[15:22] | I had had some alcoholic punch, yes. | 是的,我喝了点酒 |
[15:24] | And, Ms. Danzer, when you say that my client | Danzer女士,你说我的当事人抓住你,违背你的意愿吻了你, |
[15:27] | grabbed you and kissed you against your will, | Danzer女士,你说我的当事人抓住你,违背你的意愿吻了你, |
[15:29] | you admit that you kissed him back. | 你承认你也回吻了他,不对吗? |
[15:31] | Isn’t that correct? | 你承认你也回吻了他,不对吗? |
[15:32] | I kissed him a little bit, | 我吻了他一小下, |
[15:35] | but I wasn’t reciprocating. I didn’t want to — | 但不是那种有来有往的,我不想。。。 |
[15:38] | You didn’t want to what, rebuff his advances? | 你不想什么,拒绝他的求欢? |
[15:42] | I didn’t want to totally hurt his feelings, | 我不想彻底伤害他的感情, |
[15:44] | but he knew that I wasn’t interested. | 但他清楚我对此不感兴趣。 |
[15:47] | Move to strike. | 请求忽略这一点。 |
[15:49] | Sustained. Ms. Danzer, please don’t tell us what he knew. | 准许请求,Danzer女士,请不用告诉我们他的想法。 |
[15:54] | I told him to stop. | 我跟他说停下来。 |
[15:56] | I pushed him off of me. | 我把他推开。 |
[15:58] | After this incident occurred — | 这个事件发生之后。。。 |
[16:00] | It wasn’t an incident. It was rape. | 那不是个事件,那是强奸。 |
[16:02] | After it occurred, | 那发生之后,你报警了吗? |
[16:04] | did you then call the police? | 那发生之后,你报警了吗? |
[16:06] | Eventually. | 最终报警了。 |
[16:08] | How long after this incident did you call the police? | 那之后多久你报的警? |
[16:12] | Three days. | 三天。 |
[16:13] | Three days? | 三天? |
[16:15] | I was confused. | 我那时很困惑。 |
[16:17] | Confused about whether you’d been raped? | 对你是否被强奸了感到困惑吗? |
[16:19] | I wasn’t — | 不是的。。。 |
[16:20] | I was in shock. | 我很震惊 |
[16:22] | I needed to talk to someone, | 我需要找个人谈谈,所以我去性侵危机援助中心咨询了顾问。 |
[16:24] | so I went to the rape crisis center | 我需要找个人谈谈,所以我去性侵危机援助中心咨询了顾问。 |
[16:26] | to talk to a counselor. | 我需要找个人谈谈,所以我去性侵危机援助中心咨询了顾问。 |
[16:28] | You met with a rape counselor? | 你见了性侵危机援助顾问? |
[16:33] | Yes, at the Boston Crisis Center. | 是的,在波士顿危机处理中心。 |
[16:38] | Do you remember the counselor’s name? | 你记得顾问的名字吗? |
[16:40] | Yeah — Lucy Hatcher. She’s right there. | 嗯。。。Lucy Hatcher,她就在这里。 |
[16:48] | What did you tell Ms. Hatcher? | 你跟Hatcher女士说了些什么? |
[16:51] | Objection. Privilege. | 反对,属于特免范畴 |
[16:52] | Sustained. | 反对有效。 |
[16:54] | Did you become clear that you’d been raped | 你和这个顾问谈完后弄明白了你是被强奸的吗? |
[16:58] | after talking to this counselor? | 你和这个顾问谈完后弄明白了你是被强奸的吗? |
[17:01] | Yes. | 是的 |
[17:03] | After meeting with this counselor, | 你是在和这个顾问见面后,决定报警的是吗? |
[17:05] | that’s when you decided to call the police? | 你是在和这个顾问见面后,决定报警的是吗? |
[17:08] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[17:17] | I’m an American. | 我是个美国人。 |
[17:19] | You were born in this country? | 你是在这里出生吗? |
[17:21] | No, but — | 不是,但。。。 |
[17:22] | I adopted Manny when he was a year old. | 他一岁的时候我收养了他。 |
[17:24] | He was my sister’s boy. | 他是我妹妹的孩子 |
[17:26] | She came here from Colombia to get her green card. | 她从哥伦比亚来是为了得到绿卡 |
[17:29] | She was only here for a month | 她在这儿才一个月就死于一场车祸。 |
[17:31] | when she was killed in a car accident. | 她在这儿才一个月就死于一场车祸。 |
[17:33] | You legally adopted him? | 收养是合法的吗? |
[17:35] | Yes. I have all the court papers. | 是的,我有完整的法庭文件 |
[17:37] | Did you file papers with the immigration service? | 你向移民局提交了这些文件吗? |
[17:40] | Nobody advised me I-I had to do that. | 没人告诉我要这么做。 |
[17:45] | Okay. | 好吧。 |
[17:46] | Technically, Manny isn’t a resident of this country. | 从技术角度上,Manny不是居民身份。 |
[17:49] | -What? -HECTOR: Why? | -什么? -为什么? |
[17:50] | You’re not a U. S. citizen, and because you have | 你不是一个美国公民,并且因为你有毒品重罪被记录在案 |
[17:52] | a felony drug conviction on your record, | 你不是一个美国公民,并且因为你有毒品重罪被记录在案 |
[17:54] | the I. N. S. Has the power to remove you. | 移民及归化局有权驱逐你 |
[17:56] | They want to send you back to Colombia. | 他们打算将你遣返回哥伦比亚 |
[17:59] | Back to Colombia? | 回到哥伦比亚? |
[18:01] | He doesn’t even know anyone in Colombia. | 他在哥伦比亚连一个人也不认识。 |
[18:02] | We have no family there. | 我们在那里没有亲属。 |
[18:04] | He doesn’t even speak Spanish. | 他甚至连西班牙语也不会。 |
[18:05] | Something is going on here. I don’t know what, but — | 这里肯定有些什么事,但我不清楚,但是。。。 |
[18:08] | The drug conviction was over a year ago. | 那个涉毒的判刑过去一年了 |
[18:10] | Why do they want to deport him now? | 为什么他们现在要驱逐他? |
[18:16] | I thought she wanted to have sex. | 我以为她想做爱。 |
[18:18] | She said that she pushed you off. | 她说她把你推开了。 |
[18:20] | Yes, one second she was pushing me off, | 是的,但她刚把我推开,但紧接着就吻了我。 |
[18:22] | the next she was kissing me. | 是的,但她刚把我推开,但紧接着就吻了我。 |
[18:23] | Did she tell you to stop? | 她让你停下了吗? |
[18:25] | She said no a couple times, but — | 她是说了几次不要,但是。。。 |
[18:26] | But what? | 但是什么? |
[18:28] | It wasn’t “no” like “don’t.” | 但是“不要”和“不行”是不一样的。 |
[18:31] | It was more “no” like “we shouldn’t be doing this.” | 说“不要”更像是“我们不应该这么做”的意思。 |
[18:34] | What was the difference in your mind? | 你对此的想法有什么不同吗? |
[18:37] | Well, we weren’t even on a date. | 呃,我们连约会都没有过。 |
[18:40] | We had just met at a party, | 我们只是在聚会上相识, |
[18:41] | and I was walking her home. | 而我正送她回家。 |
[18:43] | She didn’t — | 她没有。。。 |
[18:44] | I felt she wanted to have sex, | 我觉得她想做爱, |
[18:46] | but was conflicted about it — | 但她对此也有些抵触。。。 |
[18:48] | about seeming promiscuous. | 怕被视为性生活过于随意。 |
[18:50] | Did you force yourself on her? | 你强迫她了吗? |
[18:52] | No. | 没有。 |
[18:53] | I definitely took the initiative, | 我确实采取了主动, |
[18:55] | but I thought I was doing something we both wanted. | 但我以为我做的是我们双方都想要的。 |
[18:58] | Now, after you had sex, Mr. Smith, | 那么,Smith先生,你们完事之后, |
[19:00] | then what happened? | 发生了什么事? |
[19:01] | We shared a ginger ale, | 我们一起喝姜汁汽水, |
[19:03] | we talked for a while, and then I left. | 我们聊了一会儿,我就走了。 |
[19:05] | Was she crying or… | 她哭了吗,或者。。。 |
[19:07] | No. | 没有。 |
[19:08] | Did she seem upset? | 她看起来生气吗? |
[19:10] | No. | 不 |
[19:11] | I mean, she did have some regret, but — | 我是说,她确实有些后悔,但是。。。 |
[19:13] | What kind of regret? | 什么样的后悔? |
[19:14] | Well, she just kept saying | 呃,她就是不断说我们真的不该这样做。 |
[19:16] | we really shouldn’t have done that, | 呃,她就是不断说我们真的不该这样做。 |
[19:17] | and that she’s not the type of girl | 还说她不是那种碰到男人就随便发生关系的女孩 |
[19:18] | who meets a man and has sex, | 还说她不是那种碰到男人就随便发生关系的女孩 |
[19:20] | but she wasn’t angry at me. | 但她并没有对我生气。 |
[19:23] | She seemed to be more angry at herself. | 她好像是对自己更生气些。 |
[19:26] | Did she rip her own clothes? | 是她把自己衣服撕破的吗? |
[19:29] | No, I probably did that. | 不,可能是我撕的 |
[19:31] | What about the bruise on her left wrist? | 她左手腕上的瘀伤呢? |
[19:33] | If I did that, | 如果是我弄的,那我当时肯定没有意识到弄伤她了 |
[19:34] | I certainly never realized I was hurting her. | 如果是我弄的,那我当时肯定没有意识到弄伤她了 |
[19:36] | So when she said no, | 那么当她说不的时候,你以为她并不真的是那个意思, |
[19:40] | you figured she didn’t really mean it, | 那么当她说不的时候,你以为她并不真的是那个意思, |
[19:42] | and therefore, you took the initiative? | 从而你就采取了主动? |
[19:44] | I guess that’s right. | 我想是这样的。 |
[19:46] | So you bruised her wrist, you tore her clothes off, | 那么你弄伤了她的手腕,你撕开了她的衣服, |
[19:50] | she told you to stop, | 她跟你说停下来, |
[19:52] | but in your mind, | 但在你的脑海里, |
[19:53] | you figured she really wanted it. | 你以为她其实想要。 |
[19:56] | Yes. A lot of women, | 是的,很多女人, |
[19:58] | they don’t want to be thought of as promiscuous, | 她们不想被当成性关系随便的人, |
[20:00] | so they’ll resist a little, | 所以即使她们想让你接着干下去,但还是会做一些抵抗。 |
[20:01] | even though they really want you to keep going. | 所以即使她们想让你接着干下去,但还是会做一些抵抗。 |
[20:04] | I see. | 我知道了。 |
[20:06] | I think we can end with that answer. | 我想我们可以就此结束了。 |
[20:08] | Nothing further. | 没有问题要问了。 |
[20:10] | The witness may step down. | 证人可以退席了。 |
[20:15] | Your Honor, at this time, | 法官大人,现在,我想传Lucy Hatcher出庭作证。 |
[20:17] | we’d like to call Lucy Hatcher to the stand. | 法官大人,现在,我想传Lucy Hatcher出庭作证。 |
[20:20] | Objection. This witness has no competence or foundation — | 反对,这个证人不具备资格和理由。。。 |
[20:22] | This witness was the turning point | 这个证人是Danzer女士决定指控我的当事人强奸的关键 |
[20:24] | is Ms. Danzer’s decision | 这个证人是Danzer女士决定指控我的当事人强奸的关键 |
[20:26] | to falsely accuse my client of rape, | 这个证人是Danzer女士决定指控我的当事人强奸的关键 |
[20:28] | and I would like to cross-examine her. | 所以我想对其进行交叉盘问。 |
[20:30] | Any communication between Ms. Danzer | Danzer女士和她的顾问之间的任何交流都属于特免范畴。 |
[20:31] | and her counselor is privileged. | Danzer女士和她的顾问之间的任何交流都属于特免范畴。 |
[20:32] | That privilege is outweighed | 被告获得公平审判权是超越这个特免权之上的 |
[20:34] | by the defendant’s right to a fair trial. | 被告获得公平审判权是超越这个特免权之上的 |
[20:35] | Only if Ms. Hatcher is aware of exculpatory evidence. | 那仅仅是当Hatcher知晓可证明无罪的证据时, |
[20:38] | That’s not the case here. | 本案并不是这种情况。 |
[20:39] | Your Honor, that’s exactly what I’m looking to find out. | 法官大人,我正是要找到这样的证据。 |
[20:41] | This is a criminal trial. | 这是刑事审判。 |
[20:43] | My client faces serious charges. | 我的当事人面对着严重的指控。 |
[20:45] | I should be allowed to explore this issue. | 我应被允许对此进行探查。 |
[20:50] | I’ll see Ms. Hatcher in chambers tomorrow morning. | 明天早上我会在内庭召见Hatcher女士。 |
[21:11] | Okay… | 那好吧。。。 |
[21:13] | you were trying to tell me something last night. | 昨晚你想告诉我一些事情。 |
[21:15] | I can’t really talk on the record, Lindsay. | Lindsay,我不能公开说明。 |
[21:21] | Off the record… | 非正式的话。。。 |
[21:22] | if you’d like to have a seat… | 如果你想坐下的话。。。 |
[21:34] | Six weeks ago, an undercover narcotics officer | 六周前,一名卧底缉毒官员在Lawrence酒吧的密室里被枪杀。 |
[21:37] | was shot and killed in the backroom of a Lawrence bar. | 六周前,一名卧底缉毒官员在Lawrence酒吧的密室里被枪杀。 |
[21:41] | Your client was there. | 你的当事人在那里。 |
[21:43] | Was he involved? | 他参与了吗? |
[21:45] | I don’t think so, | 我不这样认为, |
[21:47] | but he saw who did it. | 但是他看到了凶手 |
[21:49] | The police believe it was somebody | 警方相信是Manny过去吸毒时认识的某个人 |
[21:52] | Manny used to run with during his drug days. | 警方相信是Manny过去吸毒时认识的某个人 |
[21:55] | Basically, your client’s a material witness | 总的来说,你的当事人是一个重要证人, |
[21:59] | who’s not talking. | 但他不开口。 |
[22:00] | So this is leverage. | 那这就是为了筹码 |
[22:03] | Seems so. | 似乎是。 |
[22:08] | And those drugs were planted in his car | 那些毒品是警察栽赃到他车里以便获得筹码。 |
[22:10] | to get leverage. | 那些毒品是警察栽赃到他车里以便获得筹码。 |
[22:12] | That I don’t know. All I can say, Lindsay — | 那我不清楚,Lindsay,我能说的就是。。。 |
[22:15] | The police are on a mission to get the killer. | 警察的任务是要抓到那个杀手。 |
[22:18] | Your guy is caught in the middle. | 你的当事人被夹在中间。 |
[22:20] | This is extortion. | 这是讹诈。 |
[22:23] | All the charges are legitimate. | 所有的指控都是合法的。 |
[22:25] | The motive for bringing them isn’t really relevant. | 发起这些指控的动机并不重要。 |
[22:31] | That’s why I wanted to settle this quickly, | 这也就是我想赶在这事无法收拾前尽快解决掉的原因。 |
[22:33] | before all this stuff went into motion. | 这也就是我想赶在这事无法收拾前尽快解决掉的原因。 |
[22:36] | I can’t really interfere now. | 我现在真的无法干涉。 |
[22:38] | What’s the offer? | 条件是什么? |
[22:39] | If he credibly I. D. s the shooter, | 如果对凶手的指认是可信的,Manny会得到S类非移民签证。 |
[22:41] | Manny will get an “S” visa. | 如果对凶手的指认是可信的,Manny会得到S类非移民签证。 |
[22:43] | He can stay in the country indefinitely. | 他可以无限期地留在这个国家。 |
[22:45] | What if he doesn’t know who the shooter is? | 如果他不知道这个凶手是谁呢? |
[22:47] | He’s got a problem. | 那他就有麻烦了。 |
[23:01] | If rape counselors can be forced to testify, | 如果性侵危机援助顾问能被强制要求作证,会有什么益处? |
[23:03] | what good will they be? | 如果性侵危机援助顾问能被强制要求作证,会有什么益处? |
[23:05] | -Perhaps not as — -Victims will be afraid to talk to me. | -也许不是。。。 -受害者们会不敢向我倾诉了。 |
[23:07] | I just need to know the details | 我只需要知道你们第一次谈话的细节内容, |
[23:08] | of your first conversation | 我只需要知道你们第一次谈话的细节内容, |
[23:10] | so I can make a determination as to whether — | 以便我能做出关于是否。。。 |
[23:12] | Why? | 为什么? |
[23:13] | How did you help her decide she had been raped? | 你是怎么帮她认定自己是被强奸的呢? |
[23:19] | That’s privilege. | 那是属于特免权范畴的。 |
[23:26] | I’m overriding that privilege. | 我决定否决那个特免权。 |
[23:28] | What? | 什么? |
[23:30] | I’m allowing your testimony. | 我决定允许你作证。 |
[23:36] | I asked you if there was something you knew that I didn’t. | 我问过你是否有些你知道但我不知道的事。 |
[23:38] | I didn’t know that had anything to do with this. | 我不知道有什么与此有关的事。 |
[23:40] | -If you saw — -I didn’t. I was there, I didn’t see anything. | -如果你看到了。。。 -我没有看到,我是在哪儿,但我啥也没看见。 |
[23:43] | Manny, this is not the time to cover for a friend. | Manny,现在不是替朋友做掩护的时候。 |
[23:46] | I’m not. | 我没有 |
[23:48] | How can they just do this? | 他们怎么能这么做? |
[23:50] | They’re the I. N. S. With a felony conviction, | 他们是移民归化局,加上你的重罪前科, |
[23:53] | they can deport a noncitizen, which you are. | 他们可以对非公民进行驱逐,而你就是。 |
[23:55] | You will be gone. | 你会被送走的。 |
[23:58] | I can’t prevent that. | 我对此没办法阻止。 |
[24:02] | They’re offering you a visa if you cooperate. | 如果你合作他们会给你一个签证。 |
[24:07] | You saw it. | 你是明白的。 |
[24:14] | Tell me. | 告诉我吧。 |
[24:18] | I can’t. | 我不能。 |
[24:20] | Manny, you’re about to be deported | Manny,你会被驱逐到一个你举目无亲的国家。 |
[24:22] | to a country where you don’t know anybody. | Manny,你会被驱逐到一个你举目无亲的国家。 |
[24:24] | The only person that can help you here is you. | 唯一能帮到你的就是你自己。 |
[24:28] | This is lawyer/client, right? | 这是属于律师-当事人保密特权的吗? |
[24:30] | Of course. | 当然。 |
[24:32] | You can’t repeat nothing — Not to anyone. | 你不能对任何人再说起。 |
[24:35] | Of course not. | 当然不会 |
[24:40] | It was my brother. | 是我哥哥。 |
[24:44] | What? | 什么? |
[24:48] | Your brother was the shooter? | 你哥哥就是那个杀手? |
[24:51] | Hector’s a dealer, Miss Dole. | Hector是个商人,Dole小姐。 |
[24:53] | He runs an auto shop as a cover. | 他经营一家汽车点作为掩护。 |
[24:58] | I can’t give him up. | 我不能把他供出去。 |
[25:02] | If you want to stay in this country… | 如果你想留在这个国家。。。 |
[25:06] | I can’t give up my brother. | 我不能出卖我的哥哥。 |
[25:17] | Why am I here? | 为什么要我在这儿? |
[25:19] | Well, if we have more of an army, | 呃,如果我们阵容更强大,他就会更会认真对待。 |
[25:20] | they’ll take us more seriously. | 呃,如果我们阵容更强大,他就会更会认真对待。 |
[25:21] | You can just sit there quiet. | 你只要静静地坐在那里就行。 |
[25:24] | Look, I do have work to do. | 听着,我还有事要做。 |
[25:25] | They’re due here any second. | 他们马上就要到了。 |
[25:27] | The meeting should take a half-hour, tops. | 这次会面大概最多半个小时, |
[25:31] | Do you have a squeal number? | 你想好一个数目吗? |
[25:32] | A what? | 一个什么? |
[25:34] | A squeal number — A number you’ll take. | 一个你打算接受的数目。 |
[25:36] | Well, six figures would be good. | 能到六位数就挺好了 |
[25:38] | Listen, Eugene, it’s probably best | 听着,Eugene,你来主持会议可能是最好的 |
[25:40] | if you kind of lead the meeting. | 听着,Eugene,你来主持会议可能是最好的 |
[25:42] | Lead the meeting? | 主持会议? |
[25:43] | Just start things off. | 只是开个头。 |
[25:45] | You know, how your firm is prepared to try this case — | 你懂的,说些你们的事务所是如何准备打这个官司。。。 |
[25:47] | My firm is not prepared to try the case. | 我们事务所不准备参与这个案子 |
[25:49] | You are scheduled for trial next week. | 按计划你下周就要出庭了 |
[25:51] | My firm doesn’t know the case, | 我们事务所还不了解这个案子。 |
[25:53] | we will not be trying it, | 我们不会去参与这个案子的, |
[25:54] | and if you think for a second — | 如果你稍微想一下。。。 |
[25:56] | Uh, gentlemen. Come right in. | 呃,先生们。进来吧。 |
[25:57] | We’re all ready for you. | 我们都在等你们。 |
[26:00] | That’s John Rapherson. | 那是John Rapherson |
[26:03] | You know him? | 你认识他? |
[26:06] | Do I know him? | 我能不认识他吗? |
[26:10] | Mr. Bassett. | |
[26:13] | Mr. Bassett. | |
[26:15] | I did not convince Meredith she had been raped. | 我没有诱导Meredith认为她被强奸了 |
[26:17] | She came to the Rape Crisis Center | 她来性侵危机援助中心,就是因为她认为自己被强奸了 |
[26:19] | because she knew she had been raped. | 她来性侵危机援助中心,就是因为她认为自己被强奸了 |
[26:21] | Have you ever tried to convince someone | 你可曾试图说服某些不认为自己被强奸的人去起诉? |
[26:23] | to press charges when they hadn’t been raped? | 你可曾试图说服某些不认为自己被强奸的人去起诉? |
[26:25] | No. | 没有过 |
[26:27] | According to her testimony, | 根据她的证词, |
[26:28] | Meredith decided to press charges | Meredith决定起诉就是在和你谈过之后。 |
[26:30] | only after talking to you. | Meredith决定起诉就是在和你谈过之后。 |
[26:32] | We talked about the legal definition, | 我们谈的是有关法律方面的解释, |
[26:34] | and after hearing the facts, | 听完实际情况后, |
[26:35] | I told her she should speak to the police. | 我跟她说她应该告诉警察。 |
[26:37] | So you gave her the legal definition. | 那么你给她提供了法律方面的解释 |
[26:40] | Yes. | 是的 |
[26:41] | Are you a lawyer? | 你是律师吗? |
[26:42] | No, sir, I’m not. | 不是,先生,我不是。 |
[26:44] | But you know enough about the law | 但你对法律了解得足够多到可以给她提出报警的建议? |
[26:46] | to advise her to call the police? | 但你对法律了解得足以给她提出报警的建议吗? |
[26:47] | Enough to give her that option, yes. | 是的,足以给她提出那项选择。 |
[26:49] | Who called the police — You or Ms. Danzer? | 谁报的警。。。你还是Danzer女士? |
[26:52] | Actually, I did. She was emotionally dis– | 实际上是我,她的情绪有些。。。 |
[26:55] | You did. | 你报的警。 |
[26:56] | And you told the police that she’d been raped? | 而且你告诉警察她被强奸了? |
[26:59] | No, I told them I was a rape crisis counselor, | 不,我跟警察说我是一个性侵危机援助中心的顾问。 |
[27:01] | and that I had — | 而且我有。。。 |
[27:02] | Is it your testimony, Ms. Hatcher, | Hatcher女士,你的证词是说, |
[27:04] | that Ms. Danzer came to the conclusion | Danzer女士得出她是被强奸的这个结论没有受到你的影响? |
[27:06] | that she was raped | Danzer女士得出她是被强奸的这个结论没有受到你的影响? |
[27:07] | independently of your influence? | Danzer女士得出她是被强奸的这个结论没有受到你的影响? |
[27:08] | I can’t really know that, Mr. Tager. | 我真的不清楚,Tager先生。 |
[27:11] | -Well, could she have? -The witness has answered she doesn’t know. | -好吧,她受到影响了吗? -证人已经回答说不知道了。 |
[27:13] | Withdrawn. | 我撤退这个问题。 |
[27:14] | When a person is sexually assaulted, | 当一个人被性侵后, |
[27:17] | is this something that she gets over easily | 通过咨询就可以让她很容易忘掉这些事? |
[27:19] | with counseling? | 通过咨询就可以让她很容易忘掉这些事? |
[27:20] | Of course not. | 当然不是。 |
[27:22] | In fact, some of these victims | 实际上,有一些受害者会带着这些创伤很长时间, 不是吗? |
[27:24] | carry the trauma with them for a long time, do they not? | 实际上,有一些受害者会带着这些创伤很长时间, 不是吗? |
[27:26] | Some the rest of their lives. | 有些人的创伤会伴随她们的余生。 |
[27:28] | Many are angry. | 很多人会生气。 |
[27:30] | Would that be consistent with your testimony? | 你的作证也会同意这一点吧? |
[27:32] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[27:33] | Have you ever been sexually assaulted, | 你曾经遭受过性侵犯吗? |
[27:35] | Ms. Hatcher? | Hatcher女士? |
[27:36] | Objection. | 反对 |
[27:38] | Goes to bias, your honor. | 意图证实证人具有成见,法官大人 (交叉盘问中对证人的攻击和质疑一般有五种: 偏见或成见;品行;前科,记忆力,回答不一致等) |
[27:40] | I’ll allow it. | 我允许这么问。 |
[27:47] | Have you ever been sexually assaulted? | 你曾经遭受过性侵犯吗? |
[27:58] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:00] | Your dentist molested you | 你的牙医在你被麻醉的时候,猥亵了你。 |
[28:02] | while you were under anesthesia. | 你的牙医在你被麻醉的时候,猥亵了你。 |
[28:04] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:07] | And the superintendent at your apartment | 你公寓的管理员,秘密安装了摄像头对你进行偷拍。 |
[28:09] | secretly installed cameras, and he photographed you. | 你公寓的管理员,秘密安装了摄像头对你进行偷拍。 |
[28:11] | Your honor, this has no probative value. | 法官大人,这些不具有证明价值。 |
[28:13] | I’m allowing it, Ms. Gamble. | 我允许这样盘问,Gamble女士,请坐下。 |
[28:15] | Please sit down. | 我允许这样盘问,Gamble女士,请坐下。 |
[28:16] | Truthfully, Ms. Hatcher, | Hatcher女士,说实话, |
[28:18] | when you decided to become a rape crisis counselor, | 当你决定做一名性侵危机援助中心的顾问时, |
[28:21] | is it possible that your own anger was in play? | 你的愤恨是不是可能对这个决定起了作用? |
[28:24] | It had nothing to do with that. | 与那无关。 |
[28:26] | Nothing at all? | 完全无关? |
[28:28] | No. | 对 |
[28:40] | You’ve seen the discovery. | 你们已经看过了开示证据。 |
[28:42] | The doctors have cited Reflexin as the cause. | 医生们认为是反射蛋白导致的。 |
[28:45] | Look, I’m not a scientist. None of us is here, | 听着,我不是一个科学家。在这里的都不是, |
[28:48] | so it wouldn’t make much sense | 所以在这里讨论责任没多大意义。 |
[28:50] | for us to debate liability. | 所以在这里讨论责任没多大意义。 |
[28:51] | Our client has directed us not to settle. | 我们的当事人指示我们不要和解 |
[28:55] | I suspect your client doesn’t really want a trial. | 我怀疑你们的当事人不是真的想上庭。 |
[28:59] | Actually, Mr. Young, in this case, they do. | Young先生,实际上,在本案,我们想上庭。 |
[29:01] | There’s nothing better than a trial sometimes | 有时没有什么比上庭能更好地表达不想和解的态度了, |
[29:03] | to send the message that you won’t settle out, | 有时没有什么比上庭能更好地表达不想和解的态度了, |
[29:05] | and this one presents | 而本案在他们看来,这是一个相当无风险的机会。 |
[29:07] | a pretty risk-free opportunity in their minds. | 而本案在他们看来,这是一个相当无风险的机会。 |
[29:10] | You’re here. | 你既然来了。 |
[29:12] | Obviously, you’ve got a number. | 显然,你手里有个和解的数目。 |
[29:14] | Well, the number, I’m afraid, is zero. | 嗯,这个数目,我想恐怕是零。 |
[29:18] | We’re here to satisfy ourselves that it’s the correct number. | 我们来这里是为了让自己确信这是正确的数字。 |
[29:22] | We just beat the EPA for over $30 million | 我们刚刚以超过3000万美元的赔偿数额 赢下了环保署那个造成的损害甚至还不如本案严重的案子。 |
[29:24] | on injuries that weren’t even as bad. | 我们刚刚以超过3000万美元的赔偿数额 赢下了环保署那个造成的损害甚至还不如本案严重的案子。 |
[29:27] | They beat the EPA, Mr. Bassett. | Bassett先生,是他们赢了环保署 |
[29:28] | Now, while I salute your last-minute ingenuity | 现在,在我向你在最后时刻为了吓唬我们 而和他们签约的独出心裁致敬时, |
[29:31] | in signing them up for shock value, | 现在,在我向你在最后时刻为了吓唬我们 而和他们签约的独出心裁致敬时, |
[29:33] | we know who opposing counsel really is. | 我们也明白了谁是我们真正的对手。 |
[29:36] | My firm is very prepared to be involved here. | 我的事务所准备介入此案。 |
[29:40] | This is complex product liability, | 这是复杂的产品责任诉讼案, |
[29:42] | and however impressive your talent, | 无论你们的才能有多出色, |
[29:45] | there’s no way you could conceivably be ready | 你们下周就准备好上庭是无法想象的。 |
[29:48] | to try this by next week. | 你们下周就准备好上庭是无法想象的。 |
[29:50] | Mr. Bassett will have to lead this charge, | 不管他愿不愿意,Bassett先生将不得不作为主控。 |
[29:52] | whether he wants to or not. | 不管他愿不愿意,Bassett先生将不得不作为主控。 |
[29:53] | We’ll get a continuance. | 我们会申请到延期审理。 |
[29:55] | He’s gotten six of them. | 他已经申请到了六次了。 |
[29:57] | The judge indicated this last one was final. | 法官明确指示最后一次是最终的。 |
[30:01] | We’re very sorry | 我们对那个小女孩的困境感到非常抱歉, |
[30:02] | for the young girl’s difficulties, | 我们对那个小女孩的困境感到非常抱歉, |
[30:04] | but we maintain our client did not cause them. | 但是我们坚持认为那并不是我们的当事人造成的。 |
[30:09] | Thank you for agreeing to meet with us. | 谢谢你们同意和我们会面。 |
[30:22] | The man who just walked out of this room | 那个刚刚走出房间的人是波士顿三个顶级民事诉讼律师之一。 |
[30:25] | is one of the top three civil litigators in Boston. | 那个刚刚走出房间的人是波士顿三个顶级民事诉讼律师之一。 |
[30:32] | Are you ready to try this case against him? | 你准备要出庭和他做对手吗? |
[30:40] | How can they just remove a person from a country? | 他们怎么能把一个人从一个国家赶走呢? |
[30:44] | Just because I forgot to file some adoption papers? | 就是是因为我忘了提交一些收养文件? |
[30:47] | They’re convinced he knows who shot this police officer. | 他们相信他知道是谁杀了那个警官。 |
[30:51] | And what did he say? | 他说了什么? |
[30:53] | He says he didn’t see anything. | 他说他什么也没看见。 |
[30:57] | Can’t you go to federal court and try to undo this? | 你不能去联邦法院要求撤销这个案子吗? |
[30:59] | I’m going in this afternoon. | 我今天下午会去。 |
[31:01] | I’ve scheduled a hearing with the judge. | 我和法官安排了一次听证会。 |
[31:04] | But if I lose that, they’ll take him. | 但如果我们输了,他们会把他带走。 |
[31:07] | He’ll be on a plane to Colombia. | 他会被送上飞往哥伦比亚的飞机。 |
[31:10] | If he did see something, maybe you two | 如果他确实看到了些什么, |
[31:13] | can convince him to reveal what he can. | 也许你们俩个能说服他在可能的情况下透露一些。 |
[31:17] | It may be his only chance. | 这或许是他唯一的机会。 |
[31:19] | We’ll talk to him. | 我们会和他谈谈。 |
[31:22] | I appreciate that. | 对此我很感谢。 |
[31:26] | I’d gone to the hospital because I had bruising. | 我去医院是因为我有瘀伤。 |
[31:28] | -From? -Having sex. | -怎么弄的? -做爱。 |
[31:31] | And the doctor who treated me, | 为我治疗的医生,我想他是担心我可能受到过袭击。 |
[31:33] | I guess he was concerned that maybe I’d been assaulted. | 为我治疗的医生,我想他担心我可能受到过袭击。 |
[31:36] | -Had you been? -No. | -你是被袭击了吗? -不是 |
[31:39] | I guess it was pretty rough, | 我想那确实是相当粗暴的, |
[31:41] | but it was totally consensual. | 但完全是两厢情愿的。 |
[31:44] | Did you talk to Lucy Hatcher? | 你和Lucy Hatcher谈过吗? |
[31:46] | Yes. | 谈过。 |
[31:47] | And did you tell her that the sex was consensual? | 你告诉过她做爱是两厢情愿的吗 |
[31:49] | -Yes. -And how did she respond? | -是的 -她什么反应? |
[31:53] | She tried to convince me that I’d been raped. | 她试图说服我,我是被强奸了。 |
[31:55] | She wanted to call the cops. | 她想报警。 |
[31:56] | I kept telling her it wasn’t a rape, | 我一直跟她说那不是强奸, |
[31:58] | but she just didn’t want to accept that. | 但她不愿意认同这一点。 |
[32:00] | Thank you, Cindy. | 谢谢你,Cindy |
[32:02] | Yours. | 该你了。 |
[32:06] | Have you ever needed to be hospitalized | 你之前曾在做爱后不得不去医院吗? |
[32:10] | after having consensual sex before? | 你之前曾在做爱后不得不去医院吗? |
[32:12] | No. | 没有过 |
[32:14] | You filed a police report, didn’t you? | 你做了警方的笔录,不是吗? |
[32:19] | Only because Lucy Hatcher convinced me to. | 那不过是因为Lucy Hatcher劝说我去的。 |
[32:22] | She’s the one who pushed it. | 她一手促成的。 |
[32:24] | The rape counselor, | 这个性侵援助顾问, |
[32:25] | the woman who you voluntarily talked to | 这个你自愿跟她倾诉当晚情况的女人。。。 |
[32:27] | about what happened that night… | 这个你自愿跟她倾诉当晚情况的女人。。。 |
[32:29] | I wasn’t raped. | 我不是被强奸的。 |
[32:30] | Yet when a doctor asked you | 但当医生问你是否想去见一个性侵援助顾问时, |
[32:31] | if you wanted to see a rape counselor, | 但当医生问你是否想去见一个性侵援助顾问时, |
[32:32] | you said yes, didn’t you? | 你说想见,不是吗? |
[32:34] | Yes. | 是的 |
[32:36] | Nothing further. | 没有其他问题了 |
[32:40] | The witness may step down. | 证人可以退席了 |
[32:45] | She was raped, Helen. | 她是被强奸了,Helen。 |
[32:47] | It was total date rape. | 那绝对是约会强奸。 |
[32:48] | Either she’s too ashamed or she’s in denial. | 要么是她太难为情,要么就是她拒绝接受。 |
[32:51] | I never convinced her to file a report. | 我从未劝说她去做笔录。 |
[32:54] | All right, Lucy. | 那好,Lucy。 |
[32:55] | Can’t you put me back up there to impeach her? | 你可以再让我去作证和她对质吗? |
[32:57] | It won’t do us any good. | 那样对我们没什么益处。 |
[33:13] | The movers will pick up the files by 3:00. | 搬运工会在三点前把这些文件搬走。 |
[33:16] | Okay. | 好的。 |
[33:18] | I could sure use a second chair at the trial | 如果你有意的话,我可以在庭审的时候做你的副手。 |
[33:21] | if you’re interested. | 如果你有意的话,我可以在庭审的时候做你的副手。 |
[33:22] | Harland, I don’t know that I’d do you much good. | Harland,我不认为我能帮你多大忙。 |
[33:27] | I could get you up to speed. | 我可以让你很快熟悉案情。 |
[33:29] | I just can’t. | 我就是不行。 |
[33:31] | Sorry. | 对不起。 |
[33:33] | Yeah. | 好吧。 |
[33:36] | Uh, anyway, I-I hope you don’t mind, | 呃,我。。。我希望你不要介意 |
[33:38] | I scheduled a meeting here with the client. | 我安排了和我的当事人在这里会面。 |
[33:40] | I didn’t know how long we’d be tied up | 我不知道我们忙于和解需要多长时间。 |
[33:42] | trying to settle. If I could just | 我不知道我们忙于和解需要多长时间。 |
[33:44] | borrow the conference room | 如果我能就再借用半个小时的会议室。。。 |
[33:46] | for another half-hour or so… | 如果我能就再借用半个小时的会议室。。。 |
[33:55] | Sure. | 行。 |
[33:59] | Three days later she cries rape, | 事发三天后她哭诉自己被强奸了, |
[34:02] | after meeting with this Lucy Hatcher, | 这是在她和Lucy Hatcher见面之后, |
[34:05] | who convinced her to cry rape, | 一个自己就是性侵受害者的援助顾问 |
[34:08] | a rape counselor who had been victimized herself, | 说服她去哭诉自己被强奸了, |
[34:12] | who admitted herself that she didn’t know | 她自己承认她搞不清Meredith Danzer报警的决定, |
[34:14] | whether she influenced | 她自己承认她搞不清Meredith Danzer报警的决定, |
[34:16] | Meredith Danzer’s decision to call the police or not. | 是否是受到了她的影响。 |
[34:19] | Meredith told you that prior to her meeting | Meredith告诉你们在她和Hatcher女士会面前, |
[34:22] | with Ms. Hatcher, she was confused | Meredith告诉你们在她和Hatcher女士会面前, |
[34:25] | about whether she had been raped. | 对于她是不是被强奸的问题感到困惑。 |
[34:28] | If the so-called victim is confused, | 如果所谓的受害者对此感到困惑, |
[34:31] | ladies and gentlemen, | 女士们先生们, |
[34:32] | of course you have reasonable doubt. | 你们自然就有了合理怀疑。 |
[34:37] | Meredith sought out a rape counselor. | Meredith找了个性侵援助顾问。 |
[34:40] | Lucy Hatcher didn’t go to her. | 并不是Lucy Hatcher去找她的。 |
[34:43] | Her wrists were bruised. | 她的手腕有瘀伤。 |
[34:45] | Her clothes were ripped. | 她的衣服被撕破了。 |
[34:48] | She said no. | 她也说了不。 |
[34:50] | She tried to push Benjamin Smith off. | 她试图推开Benjamin Smith。 |
[34:53] | He pinned her legs with his knees | 而他用膝盖压住她的腿并强行和她发生性关系。 |
[34:55] | and forced himself in her. | 而他用膝盖压住她的腿并强行和她发生性关系。 |
[34:57] | That is rape, ladies and gentlemen. | 女士们先生们,那就是强奸。 |
[35:00] | It doesn’t matter how many days later it is reported. | 多少天之后才报警并不重要。 |
[35:04] | Nonconsensual sex by force is rape. | 受迫非自愿性行为就是强奸。 |
[35:09] | All these cases involve discretion, | 所有这类案件都涉及自由裁量权, |
[35:11] | and it’s an abuse, | 但本案是滥用自由裁量权 |
[35:13] | Throwing this kid out of the country | 因一年前的毒品定罪前科就把这个孩子驱逐到境外。 |
[35:14] | on a year-old drug conviction. | 因一年前的毒品定罪前科就把这个孩子驱逐到境外。 |
[35:15] | You know we have authority on this matter, Ms. Dole. | 你知道我们有权处理这件事,Dole女士。 |
[35:17] | I’m not challenging your authority. | 我不是在挑战你们的权限。 |
[35:20] | He was adopted at the age of one. | 他一岁就被收养了。 |
[35:21] | He’s not from a foreign nation. He’s from here. | 他不是从别的国家来的,他本来就在这儿。 |
[35:23] | It doesn’t quite smell right, I grant you, | 这事确实感觉有些不妥,我同意你的观点。 |
[35:26] | but the discretion you speak of, Ms. Dole, | 但是,Dole女士,你说到的自由裁量权是范围很大的 |
[35:29] | is very wide. | 但是,Dole女士,你说到的自由裁量权是范围很大的 |
[35:30] | They’re using this to extort testimony. | 但他们将此用于敲诈以得到证词。 |
[35:32] | You cannot leverage deportation. | 你不能把驱逐出境作为筹码来使用。 |
[35:34] | Whatever this country is about, it can’t be that. | 不管这个国家是怎么了,反正不能是那样的。 |
[35:36] | Don’t run him up the flagpole as a model citizen. | 别把他当称模范公民来标榜。 |
[35:38] | Well, he pretty much is a model citizen. | 他几乎就是个模范公民。 |
[35:40] | Then he should perform his civic duty | 那么他应该履行他的公民义务 |
[35:42] | and tell the government who killed the police officer. | 告诉政府是谁杀了警方人员。 |
[35:44] | You don’t know that he saw anything. | 你不能肯定他什么都看到了。 |
[35:45] | He was in a 12×20-foot room. | 他在一间长20英尺宽12英尺的房子里。 |
[35:47] | But that doesn’t mean that he saw any– | 但那并不意味着他什么都看到了。。。 |
[35:48] | If you’re gonna be disingenuous, don’t cry foul. | 如果你打算玩虚的,那就别哭诉我们违规了 |
[35:50] | All right. | 好了好了。 |
[35:52] | I’m not going to deny the removal petition. | 我不会驳回这份驱逐申请书。 |
[35:54] | Your honor, please. | 法官大人,别这样。 |
[35:56] | It sounds to me like your client’s fate | 律师,这事听起来像是你的当事人可以掌握自己的命运。 |
[35:58] | is in his own hands, counsel. | 律师,这事听起来像是你的当事人可以掌握自己的命运。 |
[36:00] | Get him to accept their offer. | 让他接受他们的提议。 |
[36:04] | Being in Colombia, | 去哥伦比亚,总比让Hector被关一辈子强。 |
[36:06] | it’s better than Hector doing life. | 去哥伦比亚,总比让Hector被关一辈子强。 |
[36:09] | What will you do there? | 你在哥伦比亚怎么办? |
[36:11] | No family, no friends. You can’t even speak Spanish. | 没有家人,没有朋友,你甚至连西班牙语都不会。 |
[36:14] | And, Manny, understand this — | 况且,Manny,试想一下。。。 |
[36:16] | You can never come back here, not even on a tourist visa. | 你甚至永远也回不来了,甚至连旅游签证也拿不到。 |
[36:19] | Maybe I can sneak back in. | 或许我可以偷渡回来。 |
[36:21] | And if you’re caught doing that, you could get 20 years, | 如果你被抓到了,会判服刑二十年 |
[36:23] | after which they’ll deport you again. | 然后他们会再次把你驱逐出境。 |
[36:24] | I know you love your brother very much, | 你明白你非常爱你的哥哥。 |
[36:27] | but this is too big a sacrifice. | 但这是一个巨大的牺牲。 |
[36:30] | My advice, | 我的建议是,把你知道的告诉警察。 |
[36:33] | tell the police what you know. | 我的建议是,把你知道的告诉警察。 |
[36:35] | I can’t. | 我做不到。 |
[36:36] | It would kill my mother. | 那会害死我妈妈的。 |
[36:38] | Losing you will hurt your mother more than — | 失去你的话,会对你妈妈造成更大的伤害。。。 |
[36:40] | You don’t understand. | 你不理解。 |
[36:44] | It would kill my mother. | 那会害死我妈妈的。 |
[36:50] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么? |
[36:52] | Hector says if I tell, | Hector说,如果我供出他, |
[36:56] | he’ll have her killed. | 他会杀了她。 |
[37:01] | And he’d do it, Ms. Dole. | 他做得出来,Dole女士。 |
[37:03] | You don’t know how ruthless he can be. | 你不知道他有多残忍。 |
[37:06] | Your brother would — would kill your mother, | 你哥哥会。。。会杀了你妈妈, |
[37:09] | his mother if — | 也是他的妈妈。。。 |
[37:10] | He says he would. | 他说他会干的。 |
[37:13] | And from what I know and from what I’ve seen… | 以我对他的了解和我已经看到。。。 |
[37:20] | I’m not sure he wouldn’t. | 我不能确定他不会干的。 |
[37:35] | Will the defendant please rise? | 请被告起立, |
[37:43] | Madame foreperson, has the jury reached a verdict? | 陪审团主席女士,陪审团达成一致裁决了吗? |
[37:45] | We have, your honor. | 是的,法官大人。 |
[37:47] | What say you? | 请宣布吧。 |
[37:50] | Commonwealth vs. Smith on the charge of rape, | 马萨诸塞州诉Smith强奸罪 |
[37:53] | we find the defendant Benjamin Smith | 我们裁定被告Benjamin Smith |
[37:55] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[37:57] | Members of the jury, this completes your service. | 陪审团成员们,你们尽到了你们义务。 |
[37:59] | You are dismissed with the thanks of the court. | 陪审团解散,法庭感谢你们。 |
[38:02] | The defendant is free to go. We’re adjourned. | 被告无罪开释,休庭 |
[38:05] | (judge pounds gavel) | |
[38:16] | I’m sorry. | 对不起。 |
[38:18] | You did your best. | 你尽力了。 |
[38:19] | And so did you, Meredith. | 你也是,Meredith |
[38:21] | You were very courageous coming in here. | 你很勇敢地来到这里。 |
[38:24] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[38:26] | If there’s any way I can help you… | 如果有什么我能帮你的。。。 |
[38:28] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[38:30] | I’d better go. | 我最好还是走吧。 |
[38:50] | I never told her to lie or say anything — | 我从未叫她撒谎或说了。。。 |
[38:53] | I know you didn’t. | 我知道你没有。 |
[38:55] | I don’t think I steered her. | 我不认为我诱导了她。 |
[39:00] | I don’t think I did. | 我认为我没有。 |
[39:01] | I’m sure you didn’t mean to if you did. | 我相信你如果做了也不是故意的。 |
[39:05] | But if you did… | 但如果你做了。。。 |
[39:09] | It’s the toughest part of my job, Luce, | 这是我的工作中最困难的那部分,Luce |
[39:13] | and I make up my mind what the right result should be, | 我在心里决定什么应该是正确的结果, |
[39:17] | and I’m tempted to steer my witnesses | 我要试图诱导我的证人去达成这个结果。 |
[39:19] | to accomplish that result. | 我要试图诱导我的证人去达成这个结果。 |
[39:23] | It’s the toughest part of my job to resist that. | 我工作中最困难部分就是去抗拒这样做 |
[39:29] | It might be a difficult thing for you in your job, too. | 对你所做的工作来说,或许也是如此。 |
[39:45] | Oh. May I help you? | 噢,我可以帮你吗? |
[39:47] | I’m looking for Harland Bassett. | 我在找Harland Bassett。 |
[39:50] | Oh, Christine, hello. | 噢,Christine,你好。 |
[39:53] | Hi, Annie. | 嗨,Annie |
[39:55] | How’d we do? | 情况怎么样? |
[39:57] | Well, didn’t get the number I want yet. | 呃,还没有得到我们希望的数额。 |
[40:00] | Um, Eugene, | 呃,ugene, |
[40:02] | this is Christine and Annie Mullin, our clients. | 这是Christine和Annie Mullin,我们的当事人 |
[40:04] | Hello. | 你好 |
[40:07] | Hi, Annie. I’m Eugene Young. | 嗨,Annie,我是Eugene Young。 |
[40:10] | Hello. | 你好。 |
[40:12] | How you doing? | 你还好吗? |
[40:13] | I’m fine. | 还好。 |
[40:15] | What did we get? | 我们有什么进展吗? |
[40:17] | Well, they didn’t want to settle at all. | 呃,他们完全不想达成和解。 |
[40:22] | What does that mean? | 那意味着? |
[40:25] | It means, sweetie, we’re going to go to trial. | 宝贝,那意味着,我们要上庭了。 |
[40:30] | And you’re going to beat them? | 你要去打败他们吗? |
[40:33] | Well, it’ll be tough, | 呃,那会很难的, |
[40:37] | but, uh, you know… | 但是,呃,你知道的。。。 |
[40:39] | We’re going to try, Annie. | 我们要去试试,Annie |
[40:42] | Harland. | |
[40:51] | That drug did this to her? | 那药把她弄成这样了? |
[40:53] | Every bit of it. | 一片一片地。 |
[40:54] | Six months ago she was completely healthy. | 六个月前她是完全健康的。 |
[41:00] | Get your files back into that room. | 把你的文件搬回到那间屋子里。 |
[41:02] | Yes, sir. | 遵命,先生。 |
[41:09] | Annie… | |
[41:11] | you up for a fight? | 你准备去战斗吗? |
[41:14] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[41:17] | You tough enough to take on the drug company? | 你有足够的毅力来对付这家制药公司吗? |
[41:21] | I’ll be as tough as I need to be. | 需要多坚强,我就会多坚强。 |
[41:27] | That’s what I want to hear | 这就是我想听到的 |
[41:34] | Is there any way to reverse it? | 有什么办法可以逆转它吗? |
[41:37] | I don’t think so. I’ll keep trying. | 我想没有,我会继续尝试的。 |
[41:40] | When would he be deported? | 他什么时候会被驱逐出境? |
[41:43] | A week, maybe two. | 一个星期,也许两个吧。 |
[41:50] | When my sister died, | 我妹妹死的时候, |
[41:52] | I promised myself I would take care of him, | 我对自己发誓我会照顾好他, |
[41:57] | that I would love him as my own. | 我对他像亲生的一样。 |
[42:03] | Well, you’ve certainly done that. | 是的,你确实做到了。 |
[42:09] | I’d appreciate it if you would keep working. | 如果你能继续努力,我会很感谢你的。 |
[42:13] | Whatever… | 不管怎样。。。 |
[42:14] | Okay. | 好的。 |
[42:21] | I’m sorry, Mrs. Guzman. | 我很抱歉,Guzman太太。 |
[42:27] | Yeah. | 嗯。 |
[42:33] | Good night. | 晚安。 |
[42:58] | I heard. | 我听说了。 |
[42:59] | I just came from Manny. | 我刚见过Manny。 |
[43:03] | Thanks for everything you did. | 谢谢你所做的一切。 |
[43:07] | Sure. | 就这样吧。 |
[43:35] | ♪ (theme) | |
[44:01] | You stinker! |