时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[02:25] | 00:02:25,345 –> 00:02:26,880 Keith? | |
[02:26] | There’s been… | 有。。。 |
[02:31] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了? |
[02:36] | Where’s Marsha? | Marsha呢? |
[02:38] | She’s taking a shower. | 她在洗澡。 |
[02:43] | Why aren’t you dressed? | 你怎么没穿衣服? |
[02:46] | My clothes are in the wash. | 我衣服在洗呢。 |
[02:49] | Keith. | |
[02:51] | Put this on. | 穿上这个。 |
[02:56] | Hello, Ellenor. | 你好,Ellenor |
[02:57] | Marsha. | |
[03:01] | The master bedroom. | 主卧。 |
[03:03] | Just go look. | 就去看看吧。 |
[03:26] | Let me do the talking. Just let me handle it. | 我来说。就让我来处理这事。 |
[03:28] | Don’t you think you’ve handled things enough, Keith? | Keith,你不觉得你处理得很过分了吗? |
[03:29] | You want to lay this at my door? | 你想把这归咎于我吗? |
[03:31] | Are you serious? Shh. | 你开玩笑吧? |
[03:41] | Have you called an ambulance? | 你们叫急救了吗? |
[03:42] | He seems a little dead for that. | 他有点像是死了。 |
[03:46] | What about the police? | 那找警察了吗? |
[03:47] | We called you. | 我们找你了。 |
[03:49] | Given the man died in our house, | 鉴于那个人死在我们家 |
[03:51] | we were nervous about becoming suspects, | 我们担心成为嫌疑犯 |
[03:52] | so we notified our attorney. | 所以我们通知了我们的律师。 |
[03:55] | So the police haven’t been called at all. | 所以根本还没有报警。 |
[03:57] | Not yet, no. | 对,还没有 |
[04:00] | Do you know who the victim is? | 你知道受害人是谁吗? |
[04:01] | His name is James McNoun. | 他叫James McNoun, |
[04:05] | He’s a business associate of Marsha’s. | 他是Marsha的商业伙伴。 |
[04:12] | What happened? | 怎么回事? |
[04:13] | If knowing the truth would prevent you | 如果你知道实情就无法代理我们了,Ellenor |
[04:16] | from representing me, Ellenor, | 如果你知道实情就无法代理我们了,Ellenor |
[04:19] | you’re not getting it. | 你还是别知道了。 |
[04:23] | How you doing, sweetie? | 宝贝儿,你还好吗? |
[04:25] | Okay. | 还好。 |
[04:28] | Hi, Ellenor. | |
[04:30] | Hi, Allison. | |
[04:35] | Okay, look, we have to notify the police. | 那好吧,听着,我们必须通知警察。 |
[04:38] | And what do we tell them? | 我们该怎么跟他们讲? |
[04:39] | Well– KEITH: None of us has any idea | -这个嘛 -我们谁都不知道怎么回事。 |
[04:41] | how it happened. | -这个嘛 -我们谁都不知道怎么回事。 |
[04:42] | None of us saw it. | 我们也都没看见。 |
[04:44] | He just showed up in your bed dead? | 他的尸体就出现在你们的床上了? |
[04:48] | Yes. | 对。 |
[04:49] | That’s not going to sound very convincing, Keith. | 这听起来非常不合情理,Keith |
[04:54] | Ellenor… | |
[04:56] | I’m placing myself in your hands now. | 我现在按你说的办。 |
[04:58] | I’ll tell you as much or as little | 对于你想知道的,我将告诉你尽可能多还是少 是取决于你。 |
[05:01] | as you want to know. It’s up to you. | 对于你想知道的,我将告诉你尽可能多还是少 是取决于你。 |
[05:03] | But I don’t want to say anything | 但我不打算说那些会妨碍你来做我代理律师的事情。 |
[05:05] | that will keep you from representing me. | 但我不打算说那些会妨碍你来做我代理律师的事情。 |
[05:09] | So tell me what you want. | 那么,告诉我你的想法。 |
[05:23] | You have blood splatterings on you. | 你身上有溅上的血迹。 |
[05:25] | Go take a shower. | 去洗个澡。 |
[05:27] | I’m going to call the police in 10 minutes. | 我十分钟后报警。 |
[06:55] | What happened? | 怎么回事? |
[06:56] | I don’t exactly know. | 我不太清楚。 |
[06:58] | Did he tell you anything? | 他跟你说什么了吗? |
[07:00] | Only that I don’t want to know. | 只说我不会想知道的。 |
[07:02] | And my educated guess is that he shot him. | 我有根据的推测是他枪杀了受害人。 |
[07:05] | Ellenor. | |
[07:06] | Take a walk? | 出去走走? |
[07:09] | Don’t let anybody speak to them. | 别让任何人跟他们交谈。 |
[07:14] | I’m told your clients are refusing | 我听说你的客户拒绝做出任何陈述 |
[07:16] | to give any statements. | 我听说你的客户拒绝做出任何陈述 |
[07:17] | Choosing not to give statements. | 是选择不做陈述 |
[07:21] | Don’t you think it kind of makes them | 你不认为这样会使他们看起来很可疑吗? |
[07:22] | look suspicious? | 你不认为这样会使他们看起来很可疑吗? |
[07:24] | Well, then as suspects, they’re exercising | 好吧,那作为嫌犯, 他们在行使他们的宪法权利去保持。。。 |
[07:28] | their constitutional rights to remain– | 好吧,那作为嫌犯, 他们在行使他们的宪法权利去保持。。。 |
[07:29] | Ellenor, I can’t accept anyone’s version | Ellenor,如果没人给我一个说法的话, |
[07:31] | of the events if no one gives me one. | 我怎么去认可某种说法呢。 |
[07:33] | I sympathize, Helen, | Helen,对此我表示理解, |
[07:35] | but the burden is on the state | 但查清实情是政府的责任,而不是。。。 |
[07:36] | to figure out what happened, not– | 但查清实情是政府的责任,而不是。。。 |
[07:37] | And as a State Senator, I would think | 但你的当事人作为一名州参议员, |
[07:39] | your client would want to assist the Commonwealth | 我想他应该想这方面协助州政府。 |
[07:41] | in that burden. | 我想他应该想这方面协助州政府。 |
[07:42] | Well, you would be wrong. | 那么,你想错了。 |
[07:44] | (sighs) You represent the wife | 你也是他妻子和女儿的代理律师。 |
[07:46] | and the daughter, too. | 你也是他妻子和女儿的代理律师。 |
[07:47] | That is correct. | 没错。 |
[07:48] | No conflict of interest there. | 这不存在利益冲突吧 |
[07:50] | None. | 不存在。 |
[07:51] | You’re not going to let any of them talk to us. | 你不打算然他们中的任何一个人跟我们交谈吧 |
[07:53] | Correct. | 没错。 |
[07:57] | How we doing? | 我们怎么办? |
[08:03] | Arrest Senator Ellison | 逮捕Ellison参议员并拘押他妻子。 |
[08:04] | and take the wife into custody. | 逮捕Ellison参议员并拘留他妻子。 |
[08:06] | Wait a second. | 等一下。 |
[08:07] | You’re arresting both? | 你要逮捕他们两个? |
[08:07] | No, just him. | 不,只逮捕他。 |
[08:09] | Then why take her? | 那么为什么要拘留她? |
[08:11] | As a material witness? | 作为关键证人? |
[08:14] | The State, under extraordinary circumstances, | 州政府在特殊情况下可以对一个证人进行拘留,如果。。。 |
[08:16] | can place a witness into custody if– | 州政府在特殊情况下可以对一个证人进行拘留,如果。。。 |
[08:18] | What are your circumstances? | 你遇到了什么特殊情况? |
[08:20] | We believe, Your Honor, that Senator Ellison | 法官大人,我们认为,Ellison参议员 |
[08:21] | caught his wife in bed with the victim, | 将他妻子和被害人捉奸在床,并枪杀了他。 |
[08:23] | then shot him. | 将他妻子和被害人捉奸在床,并枪杀了他。 |
[08:24] | Yes, what a gifted leap. | 是吗,多有天赋的跳跃思维呀 |
[08:26] | What are your circumstances for taking | 你拘留Ellison夫人依据的特殊情况是什么? |
[08:28] | Mrs. Ellison into custody? | 你拘留Ellison夫人依据的特殊情况是什么? |
[08:29] | We think she’s concealing evidence | 我们认为如果她不被拘留的话, |
[08:31] | that she will destroy | 她会毁掉一些她隐瞒的证据。 |
[08:32] | if she gets out of custody. | 她会毁掉一些她隐瞒的证据。 |
[08:33] | The evidence being? | 这些证据是指? |
[08:35] | The victim’s semen or DNA evidence | 可以证明他们俩当时上床的被害人的精液或DNA证据 |
[08:37] | that would establish the two | 可以证明他们俩当时上床的被害人的精液或DNA证据 |
[08:38] | were in bed together at the time. | 可以证明他们俩当时上床的被害人的精液或DNA证据 |
[08:39] | I’m a little confused here. | 对此我有点迷惑。 |
[08:41] | What exactly are you asking for? | 你到底想要什么? |
[08:43] | We’d like to do a search similar to a rape kit | 我们想做一个类似于性侵犯法医检查的检测以便确定。。。 |
[08:45] | examination to determine– A vaginal search? | 阴道检查? |
[08:48] | A full-body search to look for hairs and fibers. | 一个全身的检查,寻找毛发和纤维。 |
[08:51] | Helen! | |
[08:52] | If your client would cooperate, Ellenor, | 如果你的当事人能配合的话,Ellenor |
[08:54] | and give us a statement. | 并且向我们提供陈述。 |
[08:55] | By not doing so– FRUTT: This is blatant | -就可以不这样做了 -法官大人,这是明目张胆的胁迫 |
[08:57] | blackmail, Your Honor. | -就可以不这样做了 -法官大人,这是明目张胆的胁迫 |
[08:59] | She is trying to force my client | 她在试图强迫我的当事人 |
[09:00] | to testify against her husband, | 做出不利于她丈夫的证词, |
[09:02] | or else be violated by a police technician. | 否则就会被警方技术人员亵渎。 |
[09:05] | Your client is not a suspect. | 你的当事人并不是嫌犯。 |
[09:07] | Fine. Then grant her full immunity, | 好啊,那就给她完全豁免, |
[09:09] | and then we’ll consider any search. | 然后我们会考虑任何检查。 |
[09:10] | Would she agree to testify in exchange for immunity? | 她会同意作证以换取豁免权吗? |
[09:15] | I am not making any deals | 我不会在强迫的威胁下达成交易的。 |
[09:17] | under the threat of coercion, | 我不会在强迫的威胁下达成交易的。 |
[09:18] | and, I might add, the State has no authority | 并且,我要补充说明, |
[09:20] | to do an invasive bodily search. | 州政府没有权力去做侵害性的身体检查。 |
[09:22] | She is the suspect’s wife. | 她是嫌犯的妻子。 |
[09:25] | Spousal privilege– | 配偶特权。。。 |
[09:26] | That privilege goes to testimony. | 那个特权是针对证词而言的。 |
[09:28] | Bodily fluids do not constitute testimony. | 体液并不等同于证词。 |
[09:30] | Come on! | 算了吧! |
[09:31] | The privacy issues alone here– | 这里只有隐私的问题。。。 |
[09:32] | Are outweighed by the state’s interest | 州政府的重中之重是解决一桩杀人案。 |
[09:34] | in solving a homicide. | 州政府的重中之重是解决一桩杀人案。 |
[09:36] | Whether or not she’s a suspect, Your Honor, | 法官大人,不管她是不是嫌疑犯, |
[09:38] | if we do not get this evidence tonight, it’s gone. | 如果我们今晚不获取证据,证据就得不到了。 |
[09:40] | Ms. Gamble, are you sure you want this? | Gamble女士,你真想这么干吗? |
[09:43] | Because if it comes out this is merely | 因为一旦表明这仅仅是你的一种策略的话。 |
[09:45] | a ploy on your part, | 因为一旦表明这仅仅是你的一种策略的话。 |
[09:46] | this woman can sue you personally for misconduct. | 这个女人会针对你个人提出行为不当的指控。 |
[09:49] | You’ll lose whatever evidence you might find. | 你可能得到的任何证据都会失去的。 |
[09:51] | I can’t lose evidence I don’t have, Your Honor. | 法官大人,我还没有得到任何证据,何谈失去。 |
[09:54] | I want it. | 我是要这么做。 |
[09:59] | I’m going to allow it. I appeal it and want– | -我对此准许 -我对此提出上诉。。。 |
[10:01] | Fine. But I’m not staying | 可以,但是我不会让这个裁决等待上诉结果。 |
[10:03] | the order pending an appeal. | 可以,但是我不会让这个裁决等待上诉结果。 |
[10:04] | And since it’s almost midnight… | 而现在时近午夜。。。 |
[10:15] | Hold a little still, if you can. | 可以的话,保持安静一点。 |
[10:18] | And people wonder if we’re becoming a police state. | 民众怀疑我们是不是变成了一个警察国家了。 |
[10:21] | I’m going to be all over them on this, | 我会在这件事上跟他们干到底, |
[10:23] | I promise you, Marsha. | 我向你保证,Marsha |
[10:26] | Mrs. Ellison, | |
[10:27] | if you could just remain still. | 是否你能保持不动。 |
[10:29] | This really shouldn’t hurt. | 这又不会伤害到你。 |
[10:30] | It shouldn’t hurt? | 这还不会受到伤害? |
[10:32] | Marsha. | |
[10:32] | A man was shot in my home. | 一个男人在我家被枪击了。 |
[10:34] | My husband was arrested. | 我丈夫被捕了。 |
[10:35] | And Dr. Fingers is down there with a snorkel. | 而咸猪手医生用根管子捅我的下面。 |
[10:38] | Would you describe this | 你能把这描述为一种无痛体验吗,Ellenor? |
[10:38] | as a painless experience, Ellenor? | 你能把这描述为一种无痛体验吗,Ellenor? |
[10:41] | Let’s just get through this. | 让我们忍一忍过去吧。 |
[10:48] | Of course, get them issued tonight. | 当然,今晚要拿到搜查令。 |
[10:49] | Wake the magistrate up if you have to. | 有必要的话叫醒地区法官。 |
[10:54] | …not been given any details | 。。。对今晚发生的事还没有给出任何细节。 |
[10:55] | as to what happened this evening. | 。。。对今晚发生的事还没有给出任何细节。 |
[10:57] | The police have issued no statement as of yet, | 截至目前, |
[11:00] | except to confirm that a fatal shooting | 除了确认今晚某时在参议院家中发生致命枪击外, |
[11:02] | did take place in the Senator’s home, | 除了确认今晚某时在参议院家中发生致命枪击外, |
[11:04] | occurring sometime this evening. | 警方还没有发布任何声明。 |
[11:06] | Unconfirmed reports suggest that the Senator | 未经证实的报告表明参议员在案发时实际是在家中的。 |
[11:09] | was, in fact, home at the time. | 未经证实的报告表明参议员在案发时实际是在家中的。 |
[11:12] | Helen, where are we? | Helen,进展如何? |
[11:15] | Uh, the Senator is in custody. | 呃,参议院已经被收押了 |
[11:18] | We have the gun. | 我们找到了枪。 |
[11:19] | We’re getting the warrants issued | 我们正申请签发搜查令 |
[11:21] | to search his house tonight. | 今晚去对他家进行搜查。 |
[11:22] | He had his lawyers there before the police, even. | 甚至在警察到场之前他就找了律师。 |
[11:25] | He’s not talking, and it’s not likely to change. | 他什么也没说,看来这个态度也不会有什么改变。 |
[11:28] | Uh-hmm. | 嗯哼。 |
[11:29] | This is Alan Lowe. | 这是Alan Lowe。 |
[11:30] | He just came over from Middlesex. | 他刚从Middlesex过来 |
[11:32] | Hi. Why do I care? | 嗨,与我何干? |
[11:34] | Because he’s your backup on this. | 因为他是来帮你办这个案子的。 |
[11:36] | Look, I don’t need any– I do. | -我不需要任何。。。 -我需要。 |
[11:40] | The heat on this is already– | 这个案子已经很令人瞩目了。。。 |
[11:41] | Mr. Lowe’s reputation is that he has difficulty | Lowe先生的喧宾夺主是出了名的。 |
[11:44] | with the concept of playing backup. | Lowe先生的喧宾夺主是出了名的。 |
[11:46] | You’re first chair, Helen. | 你是首席,Helen |
[11:47] | He gets that. | 他懂得的。 |
[11:49] | Use him, Helen. | 用好他,Helen。 |
[11:52] | Keep me informed. | 有消息随时通知我 |
[12:02] | Don’t second-guess. | 别事后耍聪明。 |
[12:04] | Don’t even talk. | 最好连话都别说。 |
[12:05] | We’ll get along just fine. | 我们俩各干各的最好。 |
[12:07] | You can start by overseeing the warrants. | 你可以从监督搜查令的事开始。 |
[12:09] | Can I ask you why you made an arrest so quickly? | 我能问你为什么这么快实施逮捕吗? |
[12:11] | See, you’re talking. I’m not second-guessing. | -看看,你说话了 -我不是要事后耍聪明 |
[12:14] | I’m just asking. | 我就是问问。 |
[12:19] | The only way I could search Mrs. Ellison | 我能对Ellison太太进行身体检查的唯一途径 |
[12:22] | was to make a showing she’s not a suspect. | 就是造成她不是嫌犯的印象。 |
[12:24] | The best way of doing that was to arrest the Senator. | 做到这一点的最佳方法就是逮捕参议员。 |
[12:27] | Anything else? | 还有别的事吗? |
[12:29] | No. Great. | -没有了。 -很好。 |
[12:31] | Warrants. | 去办搜查令吧。 |
[12:38] | A cavity search? | 体腔搜查? |
[12:39] | She called Judge Finkel. | 她给Finkel法官打了电话。 |
[12:40] | And did they find anything on her? | 他们在她身上发现什么了吗? |
[12:42] | I hope not. | 我希望。没有 |
[12:43] | She took a shower before the police came. | 警察来之前她洗了澡。 |
[12:44] | The victim wore a condom. | 受害者戴着避孕套。 |
[12:45] | So maybe there was nothing. | 所以可能什么都没有 |
[12:47] | I also had Keith take a shower, | 我还让Keith洗了个澡, |
[12:48] | so he should be clean. | 所以他身上应该也是干净的。 |
[12:51] | What do you mean you had Keith shower? | 你说你让Keith洗了个澡是什么意思? |
[12:53] | You instructed him to take a shower? | 你教他去洗澡? |
[12:56] | Did I say that? | 我说了吗? |
[12:57] | Yes, you did. | 对,你说的。 |
[12:59] | Well, I misspoke. | 呃,我说错了 |
[13:01] | I did not direct him to take a shower. | 我没教他去洗澡。 |
[13:04] | He independently decided to. | 他自己决定的。 |
[13:09] | Lay off me, will you? | 你要把我停职,是吗? |
[13:10] | If this was one of your closest friends– | 如果是跟你关系最近的朋友的话… |
[13:11] | You broke the law. | 你违反了法律。 |
[13:13] | I told you, Bobby, I misspoke. | 我跟你说过了,我说错了,Bobby |
[13:15] | It was his decision, | 那是他自己决定的, |
[13:16] | and I have no affirmative duty | 而且如果他选择那样做, |
[13:18] | to prevent him from bathing | 我没有主动性义务去阻止他。 |
[13:20] | if that’s what he chose to do. | 我没有主动性义务去阻止他。 |
[13:23] | Ellenor, because this is one of your oldest friends, | Ellenor,正因为这是你的一个老朋友。 |
[13:26] | it makes me nervous. | 才让我紧张。 |
[13:28] | This is a State Senator. | 这是一个参议员 |
[13:29] | This case will be under a microscope. | 这个案子的细节会被放大的。 |
[13:31] | If we cross any ethical lines here– | 如果我们在这里跨越任何道德界限。。。 |
[13:34] | I won’t. | 我不会的。 |
[13:38] | I won’t. | 我不会的。 |
[13:53] | Did you find what you were looking for? | 你找到你要找的东西了吗? |
[13:55] | Well, it’ll take a little time | 呃,他们要花一点时间去做分析。Ellison夫人 |
[13:58] | for them to analyze | 呃,他们要花一点时间去做分析。Ellison夫人 |
[13:59] | everything they found, Mrs. Ellison. | 呃,他们要花一点时间去做分析。Ellison夫人 |
[14:00] | I just wanted to talk to you for a minute. | 我只是想和你谈一会儿。 |
[14:05] | I’m represented by counsel, Ms. Gamble. | 我有律师,Gamble女士。 |
[14:08] | Yes, but you’re not a suspect, | 嗯,但你并不是嫌犯。 |
[14:10] | so whether you’re represented or not– | 所以不管你有没有律师。。。 |
[14:12] | So this isn’t custodial? | 那么这不是拘留了? |
[14:15] | Once the examinations are completed, | 是的,一旦检查完成, |
[14:17] | you’re free to go, yes. | 你就可以走了。 |
[14:18] | Does Ellenor Frutt know you’re here? | Ellenor Frutt知道你在这儿吗? |
[14:23] | Mrs. Ellison, we all know what happened here. | Ellison夫人,我们都知道发生了什么。 |
[14:27] | Has your attorney explained to you | 你的律师向你解释了你的沉默会使你显得有罪吗? |
[14:28] | that your silence could incriminate you? | 你的律师向你解释了你的沉默会使你显得有罪吗? |
[14:30] | Gee, no. | 哎哟,没有啊。 |
[14:32] | But as you explain it, | 但正如你所解释的, |
[14:33] | it seems I am indeed a suspect of criminal wrongdoing, | 看来我确实是个犯罪嫌疑人, |
[14:36] | which makes this interrogation improper, | 这使得这次审问如果不是非法的,也是不恰当的。 |
[14:39] | if not illegal. | 这使得这次审问如果不是非法的,也是不恰当的。 |
[14:40] | Okay, well, I guess what I’m trying to say… | 好吧,那么,我想我要说的是。。。 |
[14:45] | you probably won’t be able to save | 你或许不能挽救你丈夫, |
[14:47] | your husband from his fate, | 你或许不能挽救你丈夫的命运, |
[14:48] | but you may very well hurt yourself | 但你很可能在这个过程中伤到你自己和你女儿。 |
[14:50] | and your daughter in the process. | 但你很可能在这个过程中伤到你自己和你女儿。 |
[14:52] | Fine. | 那好。 |
[14:54] | And should you ever lose your job | 但你会因侵害嫌疑人第五和第六修正案赋予的权利 而丢掉工作。 |
[14:56] | for violating suspects’ Fifth and Sixth Amendment rights, | 但你会因侵害嫌疑人第五和第六修正案赋予的权利 而丢掉工作。 |
[14:59] | perhaps you could tour as a motivational speaker. | 也许你可以作为一个励志演说家巡回演讲。 |
[15:03] | You’re being dismissive, Mrs. Ellison. | 你太不屑一顾了,Ellison夫人。 |
[15:05] | It would be a great error in judgment | 轻视我会是你的一个重大判断失误。 |
[15:07] | for you to dismiss me. | 轻视我会是你的一个重大判断失误。 |
[15:10] | Maybe I shot him, Ms. Gamble. | 也许是我枪杀了他, |
[15:14] | There’s your statement. | Gamble女士,这就是你表现出的观点。 |
[15:23] | We’re told, Jenny, that warrants | Jenny,我们被告知,昨晚签发了搜查令 |
[15:25] | were issued last night | Jenny,我们被告知,昨晚签发了搜查令 |
[15:26] | and that Senator Ellison’s office | 而且就在此时,Ellison参议员办公室正在被搜查。 |
[15:28] | is being searched as we speak. | 而且就在此时,Ellison参议员办公室正在被搜查。 |
[15:30] | The arraignment was scheduled for 9:00. | 传讯定于九点钟。 |
[15:33] | Whether that’s been delayed or not– | 延期与否。。。 |
[15:34] | Here they come! | 他们来了! |
[15:41] | No comment, please. | 无可奉告,谢谢。 |
[15:42] | Let him through! Let him through. | 让他过去!让他过去 |
[15:45] | Let him through. | 让他过去。 |
[15:46] | Next matter on the calendar, | 下一项日程, |
[15:48] | Criminal Case number 32723, | 罪案编号32723。 |
[15:51] | Commonwealth vs. Keith Ellison, | 马萨诸塞州起诉Keith Ellison一级谋杀罪 |
[15:52] | murder in the first degree. | 马萨诸塞州起诉Keith Ellison一级谋杀罪 |
[15:55] | Ellenor Frutt for the defense. | Ellenor Frutt为被告辩护, |
[15:57] | Good morning, Your Honor. | 法官大人,早上好。 |
[15:58] | Helen Gamble for the Commonwealth, | Helen Gamble代表起诉方, |
[15:59] | and that this is a first degree homicide, | 这是一级谋杀指控, |
[16:01] | we ask that Senator Ellison be held without bail. | 我们要求对Ellison参议员不予保释。 |
[16:04] | My client has no previous criminal record. | 我的当事人没有犯罪前科。 |
[16:07] | He has strong and extensive roots in the community. | 他在社区有深厚的根基。 |
[16:10] | He is, in fact, a trusted government official | 事实上,他是一位值得信赖的政府官员 |
[16:13] | who poses neither a safety nor flight risk. | 既不构成安全威胁也不存在逃逸风险。 |
[16:16] | The defendant is being charged with a brutal homicide. | 被告被控实施残忍的杀人罪行。 |
[16:19] | The fact that he is a State Senator should afford him | 并不应因他是州参议员而给予区别对待。 |
[16:21] | no special consideration. | 不应因他是州参议员而给予区别对待。 |
[16:22] | We are not asking for favors. | 我们并不是要求优待。 |
[16:24] | In fact, just the opposite. | 事实上,恰恰相反 |
[16:25] | That he be treated the same– | 他被同样地对待。。。 |
[16:26] | $1 million bond, $250,000 cash. | 100万美元债券,25万美元现金 |
[16:28] | Thank you, Your Honor. | 谢谢你,法官大人。 |
[16:29] | We would also move for an immediate trial. | 我们还要提出即决审判的动议。 |
[16:31] | The prosecution needs time to develop its case. | 控方需要时间研究案情。 |
[16:33] | An arrest has been made here. | 逮捕都已经实施了。 |
[16:35] | If the prosecution doesn’t have a case– | 如果控方没有立案依据。。。 |
[16:36] | I would appreciate it if counsel | 如果被告律师能不矫揉造作的话,我会不胜感激 |
[16:38] | could refrain from posturing. | 如果被告律师能不矫揉造作的话,我会不胜感激的 |
[16:39] | What are you looking for? December. | -你的要求是? -十二月份。 |
[16:41] | They’re looking to buy time, Your Honor. | 法官大人,他们想争取时间 |
[16:43] | I’d also appreciate it if Defense Counsel | 如果被告律师能只限于代理被告 而不是州政府的意图的话 |
[16:45] | could limit herself to representing the defendant | 如果被告律师能只限于代理被告 而不是州政府的意图的话 |
[16:47] | and not the Commonwealth’s intentions. | 我也会不胜感激的。 |
[16:50] | Trial date of September 24th. | 庭审定于九月二十四日 |
[16:52] | Let’s conference tomorrow. Set up a schedule. | 我们明天开个会,制定一个日程表。 |
[16:55] | For now, we’re adjourned. | 现在休庭。 |
[16:56] | Your Honor, I’m loath to turn this into | 法官大人,我不想把这搞成 无聊的街头吵架那样,但。。。 |
[16:58] | an unnecessary street fight, but– | 法官大人,我不想把这搞成 无聊的街头吵架那样,但。。。 |
[16:59] | Oh, yeah, she’s so adverse to confrontation. | 噢,是呀,她是多么地与对抗格格不入呀。 |
[17:04] | I believe counsel, in her zealous efforts | 我认为被告律师在向被告提供法律代理的热忱努力中 |
[17:06] | to provide legal representation to the defendant, | 我认为被告律师在向被告提供法律代理的热忱努力中 |
[17:08] | is guilty of witness tampering or worse– | 犯有阻拦或恫吓证人罪,或许更甚。。。 |
[17:11] | obstruction of justice. What? | -妨碍司法公正 -什么? |
[17:13] | We have been unable to interview | 我们无法约谈这起犯罪的关键证人 |
[17:15] | key witnesses to this crime. | 我们无法约谈这起犯罪的关键证人 |
[17:16] | People present at the scene | 案发时在场的人接受了Frutt女士的指导 |
[17:18] | who have been instructed by Ms. Frutt | 案发时在场的人接受了Frutt女士的指导 |
[17:20] | not to talk to either police or– | 拒绝和警察沟通或。。。 |
[17:22] | Ms. Gamble is now attempting to try her case | Gamble女士现在企图通过媒体 以及影响潜在的候选陪审团来办案。 |
[17:24] | in the press and contaminate a potential jury pool. | Gamble女士现在企图通过媒体 以及影响潜在的陪审团来办案。 |
[17:27] | I am attempting to cut through | 我企图的是突破由被告律师精心安排的掩盖手段 |
[17:29] | a cover-up orchestrated by counsel. | 我企图的是突破由被告律师精心安排的掩盖手段 |
[17:31] | The District Attorney anticipates | 地区检察官预感到无法提起诉讼 |
[17:32] | not being able to mount much of a prosecution, | 地区检察官预感到无法提起诉讼 |
[17:35] | so she’s trying to establish the perception | 于是她想形成一种印象, |
[17:37] | that it’s our fault she can’t assemble evidence. | 她不能收集证据是我们的错。 |
[17:39] | Defense Counsel is again trying to represent my thoughts– | 被告律师再次试图表达我的想法。。。 |
[17:43] | Your thoughts are transparent enough for everyone. | 你的想法对每个人来说都十分清楚 |
[17:45] | All right. | 好了。 |
[17:46] | Ms. Gamble, you will not be using my courtroom | Gamble女士,你不要借我的法庭来做舆论渲染。 |
[17:49] | to color public opinion. | Gamble女士,你不要借我的法庭来做舆论渲染。 |
[17:50] | I’m not doing that, Your Honor. | 我没有这样做,法官大人。 |
[17:53] | Who are the witnesses? | 证人是谁? |
[17:55] | Mrs. Ellison and Allison Ellison, | Ellison夫人和被告的女儿Allison Ellison。 |
[17:56] | the defendant’s daughter. | Ellison夫人和被告的女儿Allison Ellison。 |
[17:58] | Mrs. Ellison certainly enjoys spousal privilege, Your Honor. | Ellison夫人自然享有配偶特权,法官大人。 |
[18:01] | What about the daughter? | 那女儿呢? |
[18:03] | We can’t even get in a room with her. | 我们甚至无法和她在一个房间里。 |
[18:06] | Ms. Frutt, if I get wind of tampering– | Frutt女士,如果我得到干预证人的线索。。。 |
[18:09] | I’m not doing that, Your Honor. | 我不会那样做的,法官大人 |
[18:11] | Is that right? | 真的吗? |
[18:13] | Do these people have separate counsel? | 这些人有分立的法律顾问吗? |
[18:15] | I am the family attorney. | 我是这个家庭的律师。 |
[18:16] | Oh, you’re the family attorney. | 噢,你是这个家庭的律师。 |
[18:20] | Did you tell the wife and daughter | 你告诉这个妻子和女儿她们可能会面临附加指控了吗? |
[18:21] | they could face accessory charges? | 你告诉这个妻子和女儿她们可能会面临附加指控了吗? |
[18:23] | Did you advise them it might be in their best interest | 你建议她们与警察合作可能是对她们最有利的了吗? |
[18:26] | to cooperate with the police? | 你建议她们与警察合作可能是对她们最有利的了吗? |
[18:27] | Any and all communications between me and my clients | 所有任何我和我的当事人之间的沟通 |
[18:30] | is, of course, privileged, Your Honor. | 理所当然是保密的,法官大人 |
[18:34] | Mrs. Ellison and Allison, | Ellison夫人和Allison, |
[18:37] | I strongly advise both of you | 我强烈建议你们俩单独找一个律师。 |
[18:39] | get your own lawyers here. | 我强烈建议你们俩单独找一个律师。 |
[18:41] | I won’t order it for now, | 我现在不会下令这样做, |
[18:43] | but Ms. Frutt may want to silence you | 但Frutt女士可能会因为被告的利益而让你们保持沉默 |
[18:45] | for the defendant’s sake, | 但Frutt女士可能会因为被告的利益而让你们保持沉默 |
[18:46] | and it may not be what’s best for you. | 这或许对你们不是最佳的选择。 |
[18:49] | In the meantime, Ms. Frutt, | 同时,Frutt女士, |
[18:51] | I am ordering that you make Allison available | 我下令你要让Allison和地区检察官进行一次面谈。 |
[18:54] | to the District Attorney for an interview. | 我下令你要让Allison和地区检察官进行一次面谈。 |
[18:57] | If she refuses to talk, | 如果她拒不说话, |
[18:59] | she can be subpoenaed to a grand jury. | 她可以被传唤到大陪审团。 |
[19:02] | That’s all for now. We’re adjourned. | 目前就是这些了,休庭。 |
[19:03] | Your Honor, with the court’s permission, | 法官大人,经法庭许可, |
[19:05] | I’d like security to escort Allison | 我想让警卫立刻陪同Allison到我的办公室去。 |
[19:07] | to my office immediately. | 我想让警卫立刻陪同Allison到我的办公室去。 |
[19:09] | Why? | 为什么? |
[19:09] | I have concerns that counsel might seek | 我担心被告律师可能会寻机帮她准备陈述内容。 |
[19:12] | to prepare her statement. | 我担心被告律师可能会寻机帮她准备陈述内容。 |
[19:13] | I object to that. | 我对此反对。 |
[19:14] | I would submit, if there are no plans | 我认为,如果没有计划和Allison讨论什么的话, 又有什么害处? |
[19:16] | to conference with Allison, what’s the harm? | 我认为,如果没有计划和Allison讨论什么的话, 又有什么害处? |
[19:18] | Allison is also a client, | Allison也是一个当事人, |
[19:20] | and since criminal charges may possibly | 因为有可能针对其提出犯罪指控, |
[19:22] | be levied against her, I have the right to advise. | 我有权对其提出建议。 |
[19:25] | Security will escort Allison | 警卫陪同Allison去Gamble女士的办公室。 |
[19:27] | to Ms. Gamble’s office. | 警卫陪同Allison去Gamble女士的办公室。 |
[19:29] | Defense Counsel, but not the defendant, | 辩护律师可以出席,被告不行。 |
[19:32] | may be present at the interview. | 辩护律师可以出席,被告不行。 |
[19:34] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭。 |
[19:38] | Do you have any idea what she’s going to say? | 你知道她会说些什么吗? |
[19:52] | Don’t let the media get anywhere near him. | 别让媒体在任何场合靠近他。 |
[20:01] | Jimmy, you take the neighborhood, | Jimmy,你去问问那些邻居们, |
[20:04] | see if anybody heard or saw anything. | 看看有没有人听到或看到什么 |
[20:05] | I’ll interview the employees at Mrs. Ellison’s job. | 我会找Ellison太太的雇员们谈谈。 |
[20:09] | Lucy, you stay on top of the incident reports. | Lucy,你要随时掌握事件报告。 |
[20:11] | Lindsay, you’re in charge of Jury Consultants. | Lindsay,你负责陪审团顾问, |
[20:13] | Hire them today. | 今天就雇用他们。 |
[20:14] | Bec, I need you to research temporary insanity, | Bec,我要你研究一下暂时性精神错乱, |
[20:17] | heat of passion– Research? | -激情犯罪。。。 -研究? |
[20:18] | Why do I always get research? Rebecca– -Rebecca。。。 | -为什么总是我去研究? |
[20:20] | You always put me on research. | 你总是让我搞研究。 |
[20:21] | Why can’t I ever do fieldwork? | 为什么我从不去做现场工作? |
[20:22] | Because Jimmy and I are better at it. | 因为Jimmy和我更擅长于此。 |
[20:24] | Sorry if that answer disappoints you. | 如果这个答案让你失望的话,我很抱歉。 |
[20:27] | Are we sticking everybody on this one case? | 我们每个人都投入这一个案子上吗? |
[20:29] | Yes, we are, Lindsay, because like it or not, | 对,Lindsay,因为不管喜欢与否, |
[20:31] | we will be defined by this one case. | 我们会通过这一个案子得到一个定性。 |
[20:33] | We will be the firm that either won it | 我们要么是一个能赢下此案的律师事务所, |
[20:34] | or didn’t win it. | 要么就是一个输家。 |
[20:36] | It would be nice to be the firm that won it. | 要是赢家那就太好了。 |
[20:38] | Everybody’s got a role. | 每个人都各司其职。 |
[20:40] | Let’s go. | 开始吧。 |
[20:48] | We had just come home from the movies. | 我们刚从电影院回来。 |
[20:50] | Our movie was sold out, actually, | 其实我们要看的电影已经满座了, |
[20:52] | so we had come home early. | 所以我们回家很早。 |
[20:54] | You and your dad? | 你和你爸爸? |
[20:56] | Yes. | 是的 |
[20:57] | Then what did you do? | 然后呢? |
[20:58] | I just went to my room. | 我直接去我的房间了, |
[21:02] | I think I might have gone to the bathroom first. | 我想我可能是先去的洗手间。 |
[21:04] | And then… | 而后。。。 |
[21:06] | I was getting ready to call a friend, | 我准备给我的朋友打个电话, |
[21:09] | and then I heard some screaming and yelling. | 随即我听到尖叫和喊叫声 |
[21:11] | Did you recognize the voices? | 你听出是谁的声音了吗? |
[21:17] | Did you recognize the voices, Allison? | 你听出是谁的声音了吗,Allison? |
[21:21] | No. | 没有。 |
[21:23] | Okay. | 好吧。 |
[21:24] | Then what happened? | 然后呢? |
[21:28] | After a few seconds, | 几秒钟后, |
[21:29] | I heard a loud popping sound | 我听到一声巨响和更多地尖叫声。 |
[21:33] | and more screaming. | 我听到一声巨响和更多地尖叫声。 |
[21:38] | I ran down the hall into my parents’ bedroom. | 我沿着走廊跑进父母的卧室。 |
[21:42] | My mother and father were screaming about something. | 我爸爸和妈妈在为某件事大喊大叫。 |
[21:45] | My mother was crying. | 我妈妈在哭。 |
[21:48] | They just–they just kept on | 他们就是。。。就是不停地冲对方大喊大叫。 |
[21:49] | screaming at each other. | 他们就是。。。就是不停地冲对方大喊大叫。 |
[21:52] | And then I looked over | 然后我看了看。 |
[21:55] | and saw there was a man in their bed. | 看到他们的床上有个男人。 |
[21:58] | He wasn’t moving, | 一动不动, |
[22:00] | and he was bleeding. | 他在流血。 |
[22:03] | And his eyes were opened. | 他眼睛还睁着。 |
[22:07] | Did you hear what your mother and father | 你听到你父母在喊叫些什么吗? |
[22:08] | were screaming about? | 你听到你父母在喊叫些什么吗? |
[22:11] | No. GAMBLE: Did you see blood | -没有 -你看到你父亲身上有血吗? |
[22:13] | on your father’s clothes? | -没有 -你看到你父亲身上有血吗? |
[22:16] | I don’t remember. | 我不记得了。 |
[22:18] | Did you notice if there was a gun around? | 你注意周围有枪吗? |
[22:23] | I didn’t see any gun. | 我没有看到枪。 |
[22:26] | Allison, what do you think happened? | Allison,你觉得是怎么回事? |
[22:29] | I don’t know. | 我不知道。 |
[22:30] | If you had to guess. | 如果非要你猜的话。 |
[22:31] | She doesn’t have to make guesses. | 她没必要去做出猜测。 |
[22:33] | You were allowed to be present for this interview. | 你被允许参加这次面谈。 |
[22:34] | You are not permitted to either conduct her or to inhibit– | 但你没有被允许引导她或者禁止她去。。。 |
[22:36] | I will advise my client to tell what she knows | 我会建议我的当事人陈述她所知道的 |
[22:39] | and not to formulate opinions. | 但不去形成看法。 |
[22:40] | You want to go right back in front of that judge? | 你想再去见法官吗? |
[22:42] | Fine. Hold on. | -行啊。 -等等。 |
[22:44] | Why don’t you just ask your questions? | 你们何不直接提出问题呢? |
[22:45] | Yes, that would be nice. | 是的,那样就好。 |
[22:50] | Did you ever ask your parents what happened? | 你曾问过你父母是怎么回事吗? |
[22:52] | No. | 没有 |
[22:53] | Did you know what happened? | 你知道是怎么回事吗? |
[22:54] | No. GAMBLE: You didn’t know | -不知道 -你不知道怎么回事,而你也没问? |
[22:56] | what had happened, and you didn’t ask? | -不知道 -你不知道怎么回事,而你也没问? |
[22:59] | Correct. | 是的 |
[23:04] | Allison, did you have any discussions with your attorneys | Allison,你和你的律师讨论过 |
[23:07] | about what you might say here at this meeting? | 在本次会议中应该说些什么吗? |
[23:09] | Don’t answer. | 不要回答这个问题。 |
[23:10] | Privilege–work product. | 这是保密的。。。属于工作内容范畴 |
[23:12] | Forget it. | 别指望了。 |
[23:13] | We’re into tampering, Bobby. | 我们涉及到干预证人问题了,Bobby |
[23:14] | You think you can make tampering? | 你觉得你能扯到干预证人问题上吗? |
[23:15] | Try. But don’t be asking our client | 那就试试吧,但别问我的当事人有关她和我们的谈话了 |
[23:17] | about conversations she had with us. | 那就试试吧,但别问我的当事人有关她和我们的谈话了 |
[23:19] | So you had a conversation in preparation for this meeting? | 这么说在为这次会议做准备时进行了一次讨论? |
[23:22] | Don’t answer. LOWE: Whether or not | -不要回答 -不管这个讨论是不是属于保密特权范畴 |
[23:23] | the conversation was had does not fall within privilege– | -不要回答 -不管这个讨论是不是属于保密特权范畴 |
[23:25] | I’m instructing my client not to answer. | 我在指示我的当事人不予回答。 |
[23:29] | I’ve told you all I know. | 我知道的都告诉你们了。 |
[23:31] | You’ve told us all you know, Allison? | 全都说了吗,Allison? |
[23:33] | Yes. | 对 |
[23:36] | I heard a pop… | 我听到了砰的一声。。。 |
[23:38] | and yelling. | 还有喊叫声。 |
[23:41] | That’s it. | 就这些。 |
[23:42] | And you never asked your parents | 而你从未问过你父母发生了什么事? |
[23:44] | what happened here? | 而你从未问过你父母发生了什么事? |
[23:46] | No. | 没有。 |
[23:49] | I didn’t. | 我没问。 |
[24:02] | We have no new information | 目前我们没有什么新的信息可以提供 |
[24:03] | to share with you at this time. | 目前我们没有什么新的信息可以提供 |
[24:05] | Has Senator Ellison made any kind of statement? | Ellison参议员做出什么陈述了吗? |
[24:08] | Senator Ellison is currently refusing | 参议员目前按律师的建议,拒绝和我们沟通。 |
[24:10] | to speak with us at the advice of his attorneys. | 参议员目前按律师的建议,拒绝和我们沟通。 |
[24:12] | Mr. Lowe, one more question. | Lowe先生,还有一个问题。 |
[24:12] | Get that out of my face, please. | 拜托,别戳到我脸上 |
[24:14] | What about Mrs. Ellison? | 那Ellison夫人呢? |
[24:15] | Mrs. Ellison is also refusing to cooperate, | Ellison夫人也拒绝合作, |
[24:18] | which we find frustrating. | 我们对此觉得失望。 |
[24:20] | Certainly, it’s every defendant’s right | 当然,保持沉默是每个被告的权利, |
[24:22] | not to speak, | 当然,保持沉默是每个被告的权利, |
[24:24] | and that right would inure to the spouse as well, | 这种权利也适用于其配偶, |
[24:26] | but we’re particularly disappointed | 但我们特别失望的是 |
[24:28] | when a State Senator, | 一个州参议员, |
[24:29] | a person ostensibly committed to justice, | 一个表面上承诺追求正义的人, |
[24:31] | forsakes that commitment out of self-interest. | 出于自身利益而放弃了这一承诺。 |
[24:33] | He can’t say that. DOLE: That’s misconduct. | -他不能这么说。 -这是行为不当 |
[24:35] | Let’s get it in before Judge Finkel, | 让我们在Finkel法官面前解决这个问题 |
[24:36] | shut them down. | 禁止他们这样做。 |
[24:37] | Whoa. Slow down. | 噢,放松些。 |
[24:38] | He cannot comment on a defendant’s silence. | 他不能针对被告的保持沉默发表评论。 |
[24:40] | The state bar– Ellenor. -Ellenor | -把他告到律师协会。。。 |
[24:42] | He’s deliberately contaminating the jury pool. | 他这是蓄意影响候选陪审团。 |
[24:44] | Of course, he is, but if we go to Judge Finkel, | 他当然是的,但是如果我们去找Finkel法官 |
[24:46] | he might gag all of us. | 他们会把我们全都禁言 |
[24:47] | We do not want that. Why not? | -我们并不希望那样。 -为什么不呢? |
[24:49] | If he’s going to try their case in the press– | 如果他打算借舆论。。。 |
[24:51] | Because we need the press more than they do. | 因为我们比他们更需要舆论。 |
[24:55] | Now, we all know how it looks. | 我们都知道这事看起来如何, |
[24:57] | We need to shape public opinion here. | 我们对此需要形成公共舆论 |
[24:58] | If we get gagged– WASHINGTON: Why aren’t we | -但如果我们被禁言。。。 -我们何不至少拿出一些说法来。。。 |
[25:00] | at least putting out some version– | -但如果我们被禁言。。。 -我们何不至少拿出一些说法来。。。 |
[25:01] | We don’t need to. The burden is on them. | 我们不需要这么做,这是他们的责任。 |
[25:03] | Our people were there. | 我们的当事人在现场。 |
[25:05] | The prosecution can prove they were there. | 检方可以证明这一点。 |
[25:07] | To me, that shifts the burden to us. | 在我看来,责任就转移到我方了。 |
[25:09] | I agree. | 我同意。 |
[25:10] | I don’t. | 我不同意。 |
[25:11] | We got three possible suspects here, | 我们有三个可能的嫌疑人, |
[25:13] | the Senator, his wife, | 参议员,他太太,和他女儿。 |
[25:14] | or the daughter. | 参议员,他太太,和他女儿。 |
[25:16] | The prosecution can’t nail any of them | 检方无法在超越合理怀疑的前提下 |
[25:18] | beyond a reasonable doubt. | 把他们中的某一个人钉死。 |
[25:19] | Oh, please, he’s convicted now. | 噢,拜托,他现在已经被认定有罪了。 |
[25:21] | You’re just mad over doing research. | 你做研究都做傻了吧。 |
[25:22] | Oh, that’s funny. All right. | -噢,扯淡吧 -好了好了。 |
[25:24] | We’re up against Helen Gamble here, | 我们要对付Helen Gamble和Alan Lowe。 |
[25:26] | and Alan Lowe. | 我们要对付Helen Gamble和Alan Lowe。 |
[25:27] | We’ve beaten Helen many times, Lindsay. | Lindsay,我们赢了Helen很多次了。 |
[25:30] | If they prove this affair, that gives them motive. | 如果他们证实了这桩风流韵事,就有了犯罪动机。 |
[25:31] | With motive, his being at the scene, | 他在现场并具有动机, |
[25:33] | his gun, he’s gone. | 还有他的枪,他完蛋了。 |
[25:35] | We need to start building a theory | 我们需要开始构想出一种说法并提供出去 我们越拖下去就越。。。 |
[25:36] | and put it out there. The more we wait– | 我们需要开始构想出一种说法并提供出去 我们越拖下去就越。。。 |
[25:38] | Look, let’s just see what their evidence file shows. | 听着,还是让我们只看看他们的证据体现出什么来。 |
[25:40] | It’s too soon for us to commit to anything. | 我们提出任何说法都为时尚早。 |
[25:43] | Bobby, hello. DONNELL: Public opinion | -嘿!Bobby -公众舆论不能把他定罪的,Lindsay |
[25:44] | can’t send him to prison, Lindsay. | -嘿!Bobby -公众舆论不能把他定罪的,Lindsay |
[25:46] | Are you sure for this one? | 这次你敢保证吗? |
[26:01] | Is it good news? | 是好消息吗? |
[26:02] | Sort of. | 算是吧 |
[26:04] | Ballistics confirm it was his gun. | 弹道测试证实了是他的枪 |
[26:06] | Prints? | 指纹呢? |
[26:06] | Wiped clean. | 被擦干净了。 |
[26:09] | Trace metal? McGUIRE: Negative. | -微量金属测试呢? -阴性的 |
[26:11] | There was a pair of dishwashing gloves | 有一副洗碗手套泡在水槽里。 |
[26:12] | soaking in the sink. | 有一副洗碗手套泡在水槽里。 |
[26:13] | What about powder burns or primer residues? | 火药灼烧或者残留物呢? |
[26:16] | No, but they could have washed off if– | 没有,但他们可能清理掉了。。。 |
[26:18] | Anything to prove the affair… | 任何可以证明私通的。。。 |
[26:20] | Not yet. | 还没有发现。 |
[26:21] | No semen, | 没有精液, |
[26:22] | nothing from the cavity search. | 体腔检查也没有发现什么。 |
[26:24] | No blood on her, but she showered, so– | 她身上没有血迹,但她洗过澡,所以。。。 |
[26:26] | What about hairs in the bed? | 床上的毛发呢? |
[26:27] | Some, but they could be old. | 有一些,但可能是以前留下的。 |
[26:31] | It’s early, Helen. | 还早,Helen。 |
[26:32] | Give us time. | 给我们点时间。 |
[26:33] | Interview everybody at her work. | 约谈她的雇员。 |
[26:35] | Somebody had to have seen the two together. | 总有人看见过他们在一起的。 |
[26:38] | They’ll never prove it. | 他们证实不了的。 |
[26:40] | No one ever saw us. | 没人看见过我们 |
[26:41] | You can be sure of that? | 你对此能确定吗? |
[26:42] | He always left before me. | 他总是比我早走。 |
[26:44] | He had his own set of keys to my car. | 他有我车的钥匙。 |
[26:46] | He’d get in, duck down. | 他进车,蹲伏下来。 |
[26:48] | I’d come down, | 我再下来, |
[26:49] | drive home directly into my garage. | 带他直接去我的车库。 |
[26:51] | No one ever saw him go into my house. | 没有人看见他进我家。 |
[26:54] | Suppose somebody saw him get into your car. | 假设有人看到他进了你的车。 |
[26:56] | He always made sure that never happened. | 他总是会确保不被人看见的。 |
[27:00] | Okay, look, | 那好,是这样的, |
[27:01] | ordinarily, we would just sit back | 通常情况下,我们只是静观其变 |
[27:03] | and do nothing here. | 通常情况下,我们只是静观其变 |
[27:04] | We would leave the burden to the prosecution | 我们会把证实罪行的举证责任留给检方 |
[27:06] | to prove the crime. | 我们会把证实罪行的举证责任留给检方 |
[27:07] | The problem, this case is so high-profile | 问题是,这个案子太引人注目了 |
[27:11] | that there is an enormous danger | 存在候选陪审团被影响的巨大危险。 |
[27:12] | of jury contamination. | 存在候选陪审团被影响的巨大危险。 |
[27:19] | We want you to tell us what happened. | 我们希望你们说出事情经过。 |
[27:22] | Isn’t that dangerous? | 那不危险吗? |
[27:23] | If it means you having to get other lawyers– | 如果这意味着你必须找其他律师。。。 |
[27:25] | No. Keith. -Keith | -不行 |
[27:26] | No. | 不行。 |
[27:28] | I want your firm. | 我就要你们。 |
[27:29] | Senator, the likelihood is that | 参议员先生,可能的情况是 他们能证实你妻子和受害人有染 |
[27:30] | they will be able to prove your wife’s affair | 参议员先生,可能的情况 是他们能证实你妻子和受害人有染 |
[27:33] | with the victim. | 参议员先生,可能的情况是 他们能证实你妻子和受害人有染 |
[27:34] | With that, | 那样的话, |
[27:35] | with your gun being the murder weapon, | 加上你的枪是谋杀凶器, |
[27:37] | with you being at the scene, | 还有你在现场, |
[27:38] | with your clothes being in the washer. | 你的衣服被清洗过。 |
[27:43] | You’ll be convicted, Senator. | 你会被定罪的。 |
[27:46] | If you tell us what happened, | 如果你告诉我们事发经过, |
[27:47] | you might give us something to go with. | 你也许会给我们一些信息,以便我们来应对。 |
[27:53] | Keith, | |
[27:55] | you said you were putting yourself in my hands. | 你说过你把自己托付给我了 |
[27:58] | As your lawyer, | 作为你的律师, |
[27:59] | as your friend, | 也作为你的朋友, |
[28:01] | I am advising you to tell us what happened. | 我建议你告诉我们发生了什么事。 |
[28:08] | The movie… | 我们要看的电影满座了。。。 |
[28:10] | was sold out, | 我们要看的电影满座了。。。 |
[28:14] | so Allison and I | 所以Allison和我提前回家了。 |
[28:15] | came home early. | 所以Allison和我提前回家了。 |
[28:17] | Allison, I guess, | 我想Allison是回她自己的房间了,而我上了楼。 |
[28:20] | went off to her room, and I went upstairs. | 我想Allison是回她自己的房间了,而我上了楼。 |
[28:25] | And I– | 然后我。。。 |
[28:27] | I heard sounds | 听到了从我们的卧室传来的声音。 |
[28:29] | coming from our bedroom. | 听到了从我们的卧室传来的声音。 |
[28:31] | I heard a male voice, | 我听到了一个男人的声音。 |
[28:34] | and I thought– | 我以为。。。 |
[28:38] | I thought– | 我以为。。。 |
[28:41] | I could only think that maybe | 我只想到也许Marsha被强奸或者被侵害了 |
[28:43] | Marsha was being raped | 我只想到也许Marsha被强奸或者被侵害了 |
[28:45] | or attacked. | 我只想到也许Marsha被强奸或者被侵害了 |
[28:47] | And I got my revolver | 于是我从衣柜后面的保险箱里取出左轮手枪, |
[28:50] | from the safe in the back of the linen cupboard, | 于是我从衣柜后面的保险箱里取出左轮手枪, |
[28:52] | and I went to the bedroom, | 然后我去了卧室, |
[28:54] | and I– | 我。。。 |
[28:57] | I saw this… | 我看到了。。。 |
[28:59] | stranger on her, | 一个陌生人压在她身上, |
[29:01] | and I just– I squeezed the trigger. | 我就是。。。我扣动了扳机。 |
[29:05] | And suddenly, Marsha was screaming. | 突然间,Marsha尖叫了起来。 |
[29:08] | There was blood everywhere. | 血到处都是。 |
[29:11] | It all happened so fast, | 这些发生得太快了, |
[29:12] | and I– | 我。。。 |
[29:14] | I saw this man, and I shot him. | 我看到这个男人,我开枪打了他。 |
[29:18] | I– | 我。。。 |
[29:23] | I didn’t realize | 直到事发之后,我都没搞清楚 |
[29:25] | until after | 直到事发之后,我都没搞清楚 |
[29:28] | what–what was– | 是什么。。。 |
[29:33] | what had– | 到底发生了什么事。 |
[29:36] | what had really been going on. | 到底发生了什么事。 |
[29:41] | The problem with that– | 问题是。。。 |
[29:43] | the gun was wiped clean of prints, | 枪被擦掉了指纹, |
[29:46] | your clothes were in the washer, | 你的衣服也洗了, |
[29:48] | and the question will be | 引发的问题是 |
[29:49] | if you thought you were justified, | 如果你认为你是事出有因的, |
[29:52] | why did you try to cover your tracks? | 你为什么要试图掩盖呢? |
[29:57] | I did that. | 是我做的。 |
[30:00] | It was stupid, I suppose, but… | 我想这很愚蠢,但是。。。 |
[30:04] | he has worked his entire adult life | 他终身致力于他的公共事业生涯 |
[30:07] | building his public career, | 他终身致力于他的公共事业生涯 |
[30:11] | and I didn’t want to see it all go away | 我不想看到因为我的一些事导致这一切终结 |
[30:13] | because of something… | 我不想看到因为我的一些事导致这一切终结 |
[30:16] | that I caused. | 我不想看到因为我的一些事导致这一切终结 |
[30:19] | I assume you will testify that | 我假定你会从你的观察角度来作证。 |
[30:20] | from your vantage point. | 我假定你会从你的观察角度来作证。 |
[30:21] | It appeared he was acting in defense of you. | 那看起来他的行为是为了保护你。 |
[30:23] | Of course. | 当然是。 |
[30:27] | Well, then that’s how we proceed. | 那好,那就是我们的方针 |
[30:29] | We argue mistaken defense of others. | 我们提出过失防卫他人的主张。 |
[30:33] | It’s a form of self-defense. | 这是正当防卫的一种。 |
[30:36] | I’d like to make a public statement. | 我打算发表一个公开声明。 |
[30:38] | I don’t recommend that. | 我不建议这样做。 |
[30:38] | You said yourself | 你自己说过他们会通过媒体来审判我们。 |
[30:40] | that they were trying us in the press. | 你自己说过他们会通过媒体来审判我们。 |
[30:42] | Anything you say could be used to impeach you. | 你说的任何话都可以用来对你进行质疑。 |
[30:44] | I’ll keep it short. | 我会尽量简短的 |
[30:45] | It’s a bad idea. | 这不是个好主意。 |
[30:48] | It’s a great idea. | 这是个好主意。 |
[30:49] | I mean, you can certainly go over what he plans to say. | 我指的是,你可以对他要说的仔细斟酌。 |
[30:51] | What if he ad-libs the wrong thing? | 如果他随口说了些错话呢? |
[30:53] | You make sure he doesn’t. | 你可以确保他不会的。 |
[30:54] | Bobby, his going before the cameras– | Bobby,他站到镜头前。。。 |
[30:57] | it goes to the same jury pool | 等于是站到检方正力图影响的候选陪审团面前, |
[30:58] | the prosecution is trying to influence right now, | 等于是站到检方正力图影响的候选陪审团面前, |
[31:01] | and if he talks, | 如果他开口说话, |
[31:02] | more cameras will be rolling. | 我们可以获得更大的影响力。 |
[31:03] | Why aren’t we going for a change of venue? | 我们为什么不寻求更换审理地点? |
[31:05] | If you ask me– We want this venue, Rebecca. | 要我说,我们希望在这里审理,Rebecca |
[31:07] | He’s a celebrity here, | 他是这里的名流, |
[31:08] | a popular one. | 很受欢迎。 |
[31:10] | Well, if he goes forward with a statement now, | 如果他现在出来发表声明, |
[31:12] | you’re married to self-defense. | 你们就绑定正当防卫的策略了。 |
[31:13] | You can’t then go on the elements– | 你们不能再在犯罪构成要件上做文章了。。。 |
[31:14] | Does anybody here really believe | 这里有谁真的相信我们在犯罪构成要件上存在机会吗? |
[31:16] | we’ve got a shot on the elements? | 这里有谁真的相信我们在犯罪构成要件上存在机会吗? |
[31:17] | I mean, his house, his gun, | 我是说,案发在他家,凶器是他的抢, |
[31:19] | he’s at the scene, | 他在现场。 |
[31:20] | and they can probably prove the affair. | 况且检方可能会证明存在婚外情。 |
[31:26] | Self-defense is our best hope, | 正当防卫策略是我们最好的机会。 |
[31:28] | and best we start working the jury now. | 而且我们最好是现在就针对候选陪审团施加影响。 |
[31:30] | I’m with Eugene. | 我赞同Eugene的意见。 |
[31:32] | Let the man talk. | 让他出面发表声明。 |
[31:59] | So far, it’s like the immaculate affair, | 到目前为止,这就像是一场滴水不漏的婚外情 |
[32:01] | although we do have one witness willing to say | 尽管我们有一个证人愿意出来说 |
[32:03] | she saw something going on at a party. | 她在一次聚会上看到了一些事情。 |
[32:05] | It’s nothing I’d call concrete, but– | 我觉得那些是捕风捉影的,但是。。。 |
[32:07] | Nobody saw them go into a motel or– | 没人看见他们进了汽车旅馆或者。。。 |
[32:10] | Kenny, this woman’s prepping to be | Kenny,这个女人准备要当马萨诸塞州的第一夫人了。 |
[32:11] | the first lady of Massachusetts. | Kenny,这个女人准备要当马萨诸塞州的第一夫人了。 |
[32:13] | She was careful. | 她很谨慎的。 |
[32:15] | You know about this press conference? | 你知道这次新闻发布会吗? |
[32:16] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? |
[32:17] | He’s called for a press conference. | 他召开了一次新闻发布会。 |
[32:18] | He’s going on. GAMBLE: Who? | -要开始了。 -你说谁? |
[32:23] | I should first note | 我首先要指出的是 |
[32:24] | I appear before you today | 我今天的出面并没有遵照我的律师的建议, |
[32:27] | against the advice of my counsel, | 我今天的出面并没有遵照我的律师的建议, |
[32:29] | who you see behind me. | 他们就站在我后面。 |
[32:31] | For purposes of a criminal trial, | 出于刑事审判的目的,最好是保持沉默。 |
[32:33] | it’s best to remain silent. | 出于刑事审判的目的,最好是保持沉默。 |
[32:35] | A fact I know you are | 我知道你们对此是非常了解的。 |
[32:36] | acutely aware of. | 我知道你们对此是非常了解的。 |
[32:39] | But being in public office, | 但作为一个公职人员, |
[32:40] | I enjoy a public trust, | 我得到公众的信任, |
[32:43] | and that trust cannot faithfully | 但我的缄默无法对这种信任报以忠实地回馈和尊重 |
[32:45] | be served or honored | 但我的缄默无法忠实地对这种信任报以回馈和尊重 |
[32:47] | by my continued silence. | 但我的缄默无法忠实地对这种信任报以回馈和尊重 |
[32:50] | Thus, I feel it is my duty to come forward | 因此,我觉得我有责任站出来, |
[32:52] | because the public has a right to know. | 因为公众有权了解真相。 |
[32:57] | On Saturday, July 12th, | 周六,七月十二日, |
[33:00] | I left in the early evening to go see a movie | 我和我的女儿Allison在傍晚外出去看电影。 |
[33:03] | with my daughter Allison. | 我和我的女儿Allison在傍晚外出去看电影。 |
[33:05] | The film being sold out, | 那部电影的票已售罄, |
[33:07] | we returned early. | 我们就早些回家了。 |
[33:08] | You believe this? Shh. | -你能相信吗? -嘘。。。 |
[33:10] | When I heard the sounds, | 我听到了一些声音, |
[33:12] | it sounded like a physical attack. | 像是对人身的暴力攻击。 |
[33:16] | It even sounded like somebody was being strangled. | 听起来甚至好像是有人被勒住了。 |
[33:20] | I retrieved my revolver, | 我取出了我一直留在家里用于防身的左轮手枪 |
[33:22] | which I kept in the house | 我取出了我一直留在家里用于防身的左轮手枪 |
[33:23] | for personal protection, | 我取出了我一直留在家里用于防身左轮手枪 |
[33:26] | and I ran to the room in fear, | 我带着极度恐惧跑向卧室, |
[33:28] | desperate fear | 我带着极度恐惧跑向卧室, |
[33:31] | that my wife Marsha | 我非常担心我的妻子Marsha是被强奸了, |
[33:32] | was either being raped, | 我非常担心我的妻子Marsha是被强奸了, |
[33:35] | or worse, murdered. | 或是更糟地,被杀害了。 |
[33:38] | When I entered the room, | 我进入卧室, |
[33:39] | I saw what appeared to be a struggle | 我看到一个陌生男人压在我妻子身上, |
[33:42] | with a strange man on top of my wife. | 像是发生了一场搏斗。 |
[33:46] | I thought she was being killed. | 我以为她被杀了。 |
[33:49] | As he rolled to face me, | 当他转过身来面对我时, |
[33:51] | I discharged my revolver. | 我开枪击中了他, |
[33:54] | The bullet hit him, | 我开枪击中了他, |
[33:57] | and he fell silent. | 他倒下去没有动静了。 |
[34:01] | It was only in the following seconds | 但接下来只有几秒钟后我开始意识到, |
[34:03] | that I came to realize | 但接下来只有几秒钟后我开始意识到, |
[34:04] | what was actually… | 实际发生了什么事。。。 |
[34:10] | going on. | 实际发生了什么事。。。 |
[34:13] | My wife was not, | 我太太实际上没有受到攻击。 |
[34:14] | in fact, under attack. | 我太太实际上没有受到攻击。 |
[34:17] | The passion | 我因愤怒和死亡的威胁误导而产生的冲动情绪 |
[34:18] | I mistook for rage, | 我因愤怒和死亡的威胁误导而产生的冲动 |
[34:20] | for a deadly threat, | 我因愤怒和死亡的威胁误导而产生的冲动 |
[34:21] | was a different kind of passion, | 不同于一个丈夫不愿想到他的妻子偷情。。。 |
[34:23] | a passion a husband never wants to think his wife– | 不同于一个丈夫不愿想到他的妻子偷情。。。 |
[34:29] | I shot a man who was committing adultery, | 我枪杀了一个正在通奸的而不是企图行凶的人, |
[34:34] | not a man who was trying to kill. | 我枪杀了一个正在通奸的而不是企图行凶的人, |
[34:39] | I didn’t realize this until… | 我没有意识到这一点,直到。。。 |
[34:41] | it was obviously too late. | 显然这已经太晚了。 |
[34:46] | Though I will have to live | 然而我夺去了另一个人的生命这个事实 |
[34:47] | with the fact that I took another human life. | 肯定会伴随我的一生 |
[34:52] | It is something I will never get over. | 这是我永远无法回避的事情。 |
[34:56] | In my mind, I saw a potentially | 在我印象中,我看到的是针对我太太的 暴力行为有致死的威胁。 |
[34:59] | deadly threat of violence agai– | 在我印象中,我看到的是针对我太太的 暴力行为有致死的威胁。 |
[35:05] | against my wife. | 在我印象中,我看到的是针对我太太的 暴力行为有致死的威胁。 |
[35:09] | I accept responsibility. | 我承担这份责任。 |
[35:14] | I ask for no one’s forgiveness, | 我不求任何人的原谅, |
[35:17] | only your understanding. | 但希望得到你们的理解。 |
[35:22] | Thank you. | 谢谢大家。 |
[35:27] | The fact that Senator Ellison | 事实上,Ellison参议员拒绝和警方沟通 |
[35:28] | would refuse to talk to the police, | 事实上,Ellison参议员拒绝和警方沟通 |
[35:30] | would refuse to cooperate with our investigation, | 拒绝配合我们的调查, |
[35:33] | only to go before the cameras | 而仅仅是向媒体发表一份 蓄意编造的自私自利的长篇大论, |
[35:35] | with a self-serving ramble overtly designed | 而仅仅是向媒体发表一份 蓄意编造的自私自利的长篇大论, |
[35:37] | to poison the objectivity of the people | 用以影响他的选民的客观性。 |
[35:39] | he was elected to represent, | 用以影响他的选民的客观性。 |
[35:41] | I found that to be inconceivable. | 我认为这是难以置信的。 |
[35:44] | I found it personally disgusting. | 我本人觉得这很恶心。 |
[35:46] | Did you know he’d be claiming self-defense? | 你知道他会宣称自己是正当防卫吗? |
[35:49] | You know, we expected something desperate, | 我们预料到会有些孤注一掷的事情, |
[35:50] | and that is exactly what this is. | 而这个就是。 |
[35:53] | It’s an anemic Hail Mary | 这是一个有罪谋杀犯的苍白无力的祈祷。 |
[35:54] | from a guilty murderer. | 这是一个有罪谋杀犯的苍白无力的祈祷。 |
[35:56] | Why was the gun | 为什么要擦去枪上的指纹? |
[35:58] | wiped clean of fingerprints? | 为什么要擦去枪上的指纹? |
[35:59] | Why were his clothes thrown in a washer? | 为什么他的衣服被扔到洗衣机里? |
[36:03] | Was this obstruction of justice | 这种妨碍司法公正的行为有助于他赢得公众信任吗? |
[36:04] | in service to his public trust? | 这种妨碍司法公正的行为有助于他赢得公众信任吗? |
[36:07] | Who exactly did he honor | 他把这一切都掩盖起来到底尊重了谁? |
[36:10] | by trying to cover all of this up? | 他把这一切都掩盖起来到底尊重了谁? |
[36:13] | Well, let me tell you this. | 好吧,我来告诉你们吧。 |
[36:16] | As a district attorney, | 作为一个地区检察官, |
[36:18] | I have a duty to the public trust, as well, | 我对公众的信任也负有责任, |
[36:21] | and that’s to see that | 这就是杀了人就要去坐牢 |
[36:22] | when people kill human beings, | 这就是杀了人就要去坐牢 |
[36:24] | they go to prison. | 这就是杀了人就要去坐牢 |
[36:26] | There’s no exceptions for politicians, | 政客们也不能例外, |
[36:29] | no excuses for wronged husbands, | 被错怪的丈夫不能以此为借口 |
[36:31] | no favors… | 对雄辩的演说家也不能法外施恩。 |
[36:33] | for eloquent speakers. | 对雄辩的演说家也不能法外施恩。 |
[36:36] | You kill, | 你杀了人,你就要去坐牢。 |
[36:38] | you go to jail. | 你杀了人,你就要去坐牢。 |
[36:41] | And that is what will happen here. | 就是这么回事。 |
[36:49] | It was mainly a feeling– | 基本上是一种感觉。。。 |
[36:51] | never heard or saw any actual proof. | 从未听到或看到任何实际的凭据。 |
[36:54] | And the feeling was? | 那你的感觉是什么? |
[36:55] | They were involved. | 他们俩有关系。 |
[36:57] | They would shoot each other looks sometimes, | 他们有时候眉目传情。 |
[36:59] | flirty behavior. | 他们有时候眉目传情。 |
[37:00] | I just assumed something was going on between them. | 我只是假设他们之间有些事。 |
[37:03] | How well did you know Mrs. Ellison? | 你对Ellison夫人有多熟? |
[37:05] | Not well. | 不怎么熟 |
[37:07] | We worked in the same office, obviously, | 显然,我们在一个办公室里, |
[37:09] | but I had very little direct interaction. | 但我们几乎没有直接的接触。 |
[37:11] | And the victim, Mr. McNoun? | 受害者McNoun先生呢? |
[37:15] | He was my boss. | 他是我的上司。 |
[37:19] | And this party, | 那次聚会,Ellison夫人和cNoun先生一起来的吗? |
[37:21] | Mrs. Ellison came with Mr. McNoun? | 那次聚会,Ellison夫人和cNoun先生一起来的吗? |
[37:23] | Oh, God, no. | 哦,天啊,不是的。 |
[37:24] | She came with her husband, | 她和她丈夫一起来的, |
[37:25] | but I saw them in an office together. | 但我看到他们在一间办公室里。 |
[37:28] | Mr. McNoun, and Mrs. Ellison? | Ellison夫人和cNoun先生吗? |
[37:32] | And it looked like something was going on between them. | 嗯,而且好像他们俩之间发生了什么事。 |
[37:35] | I just knew it. | 我只知道这些。 |
[37:39] | So what? It’s not enough | 那又如何?这不足以让我们现在证实存在私通。 |
[37:41] | that we establish the affair now. | 那又如何?这不足以让我们现在证实存在私通。 |
[37:43] | We have to show he knew about it. | 我们必须要证明他是知情的。 |
[37:45] | If we can prove he knew what was going on, | 如果我们能证明他是知道会发生什么的, |
[37:47] | there’s no way they’ll sell self-defense. | 他们就无法搬出正当防卫来。 |
[37:49] | Husbands know. They always know. | 做丈夫的应该知道的,他们总是会知道的。 |
[37:51] | Well, we haven’t been able to find any– | 这个嘛,我们还没找到。。。 |
[37:53] | Then get back out there, Mike. | 那就再去找,Mike,挖地三尺。 |
[37:54] | Dig harder. | 那就再去找,Mike,挖地三尺。 |
[37:56] | All right, all right, Helen. | 好了,好了,Helen。 |
[37:56] | Mike, this is a big piece. | Mike,这是件大事。 |
[38:00] | If we can show that he was even suspicious | 如果我们能证明他哪怕是怀疑过他太太大概在睡觉, |
[38:02] | that his wife was sleeping around, | 如果我们能证明他哪怕是怀疑过他太太大概在睡觉, |
[38:03] | we’ll be able to argue that he knew what was going on | 我们就可以说他在拿枪的时候是知道怎么回事的。 |
[38:06] | when he went for the gun. | 我们就可以说他在拿枪的时候是知道怎么回事的。 |
[38:07] | Oh, well, look, we’re dead. | 噢,听着,我们要完蛋了。 |
[38:09] | You all do know that. | 你们都清楚这一点。 |
[38:10] | The guy is sympathetic. | 这家伙很招人喜欢。 |
[38:12] | He’s–he’s charming. | 他。。。他很富有魅力。 |
[38:13] | He’s credible, | 他也是令人信服的 |
[38:14] | and we’re dead. No, we’re not. | -我们要完蛋了。 -不,不会的。 |
[38:16] | The guy caught a man screwing his wife. | 这家伙抓到一个勾引他妻子的男人。 |
[38:18] | He blows the guy’s head off, | 他轰掉了这家伙的脑袋, |
[38:20] | and then he says, “Oops! | 然后他喊道 |
[38:22] | I thought he was trying to kill her.” | “哎呀!我以为他要杀了我妻子” |
[38:25] | We’ll get him. GAMBLE: We’ve got nothing | -我们会抓住他的。 -在思想状态方面我们什么也没有掌握 |
[38:26] | on state of mind, Alan. | -我们会抓住他的。 -Alan,在思想状态方面我们什么也没有掌握 |
[38:28] | It’s us against his word, | 我们要反驳他的说辞, |
[38:29] | and you saw how well he plays. | 而你看到了他玩得多高明呀。 |
[38:34] | Helen Gamble. | 我是Helen Gamble。 |
[38:37] | Okay. | 知道了。 |
[38:42] | Judge wants to see us. | 法官要见我们。 |
[38:44] | Should we bother to have a trial here, people, | 诸位,我们是应该费心地在这里审理案件, |
[38:47] | or just put it to a referendum | 还是干脆把这事放到十一月中期选举搞一次全民公决? |
[38:48] | on the November ballot? | 还是干脆把这事放到十一月中期选举搞一次全民公决? |
[38:50] | I would gag you all right now | 如果我认定你们双方没有立刻着手 实施信息来源保密的话, |
[38:52] | if I didn’t think you’d both | 如果我认定你们双方没有立刻着手 实施信息来源保密的话, |
[38:54] | immediately start with confidential sourcing. | 我会即刻对你们全都禁言。 |
[38:58] | Ms. Frutt, you let your client | Frutt女士,你让你的当事人召开新闻发布会, |
[39:00] | hold press conferences, | Frutt女士,你让你的当事人召开新闻发布会, |
[39:01] | you will have a hard time | 你会在因陪审员知道的太多了而在遴选时遇到麻烦。 |
[39:02] | disqualifying jurors for knowing too much. | 你会在因陪审员知道的太多了而在遴选时遇到麻烦。 |
[39:05] | Ms. Gamble, | 而Gamble女士,你试图干预审理, |
[39:07] | attempt to prejudice the trial, | 而Gamble女士,你试图干预审理, |
[39:09] | you will find your juror challenges gone. | 你会被取消强制排除陪审员的权利。 |
[39:12] | I will prohibit you | 我现在禁止你们针对本案的证据发表任何言论。 |
[39:13] | right now from making any comments | 我现在禁止你们针对本案的证据发表任何言论。 |
[39:15] | concerning the evidence of this case. | 我现在禁止你们针对本案的证据发表任何言论。 |
[39:18] | That goes for every one of you. | 对你们所有人都适用。 |
[39:21] | Now, common sense tells me | 现在,常识告诉我这是过失杀人。。。 |
[39:23] | this goes away for manslaughter– | 现在,常识告诉我这是过失杀人。。。 |
[39:25] | six years, three suspended. | 我建议判服刑六年,缓刑三年。 |
[39:27] | That seems a little light. | 好像有点轻了。 |
[39:29] | You’d jump at it. Don’t kid yourself, | 你最好欣然接受吧。别自欺欺人了, |
[39:30] | and so should you. | 你也是。 |
[39:32] | The idea he thought she was being killed | 那个他以为他太太要被杀了的主意简直臭不可闻。 |
[39:34] | smells like crap. | 那个他以为他太太要被杀了的主意简直臭不可闻。 |
[39:37] | This was a heat of passion murder. | 这就是一起激情犯罪。 |
[39:38] | Let’s dispose of it for what it is. | 让我们实事求是吧。 |
[39:50] | Are you recommending it? | 你建议这样做吗? |
[39:51] | With good behavior, | 表现良好的话,你一年半就可以出来了。 |
[39:52] | you could get out in 18 months. | 表现良好的话,你一年半就可以出来了。 |
[39:54] | Isn’t that a bargain for human life-taking? | 这就是夺人性命的代价吗? |
[40:03] | Can I win this? | 我能赢吗? |
[40:05] | You could, | 可能的, |
[40:06] | but it’s a risk, Keith, | 但要冒风险,Keith |
[40:08] | and if we lose, | 如果输了, |
[40:09] | you are looking at murder two, | 你会被判处二级谋杀罪名, |
[40:11] | which carries a statutory | 依法量刑是终身监禁。 |
[40:13] | life sentence. | 依法量刑是终身监禁。 |
[40:16] | I just told the public it was self-defense. | 我对公众宣称这是正当防卫。 |
[40:19] | If I plead on manslaughter, how would that look? | 如果我按过失杀人认罪,那看起来会如何? |
[40:21] | I think the public is sophisticated enough to know– | 我想公众足够成熟,能理解。。。 |
[40:23] | And they believe me, by the way. | 顺便提一下,他们是信任我的。 |
[40:25] | Have you heard the HDH poll? | 你知道HDH民意测验结果吗? |
[40:27] | My approval ratings | 我的支持率比枪案前还高。 |
[40:28] | are higher than before the shooting. | 我的支持率比枪案前还高。 |
[40:30] | Well, then it was all worth it. | 哼,那这一切都值了。 |
[40:35] | Do we have a problem? | 我们有些问题吗? |
[40:36] | Do we have a problem? | 我们有些问题吗? |
[40:37] | Ellenor, I was having an affair. | Ellenor,我有了外遇。 |
[40:39] | I was… | 我。。。 |
[40:40] | fond of this person, | 我喜欢这人但Keith把他毙了。 |
[40:42] | and Keith shot him. | 我喜欢这人但Keith把他毙了。 |
[40:45] | Clearly, these are not the best of times. | 显然,这时候说这些不合适。 |
[40:56] | I don’t want to plead. | 我不想认罪。 |
[40:57] | You can’t be looking at this | 你不能从你政治生涯的角度看待这件事。 |
[41:00] | with respect to your political career. | 你不能从你政治生涯的角度看待这件事。 |
[41:02] | This is about your life, Keith, | 这是关乎你的一生,Keith |
[41:04] | your freedom. | 关乎你的自由。 |
[41:05] | My life is | 我的一生就是我的政治生涯,Ellenor |
[41:06] | my political career, Ellenor. | 我的一生就是我的政治生涯,Ellenor |
[41:08] | You know that, and it’s over | 你很清楚这一点,如果我认了杀人罪, 我的一生也就终结了。 |
[41:10] | if I accept a homicide conviction. | 你很清楚这一点,如果我认了杀人罪, 我的一生也就终结了。 |
[41:12] | As convincing as you are, | 你可以同样令人信服地使陪审团相信 |
[41:14] | to get a jury to believe | 你可以同样令人信服地使陪审团相信 |
[41:16] | that you ran in there shooting in self-defense? | 你跑进卧室开枪是出于正当防卫? |
[41:18] | You don’t believe it? | 你不相信是这样的吗? |
[41:21] | I do, | 我是相信的。 |
[41:23] | but I know you. | 但那是因为我了解你。 |
[41:24] | The 12 people in that box? | 而十二个坐在陪审员席上的人? |
[41:27] | Are you telling me | 你是在跟我说我们赢不了是吗? |
[41:28] | we cannot win this trial? | 你是在跟我说我们赢不了是吗? |
[41:30] | I am not telling you that. | 我不是那个意思。 |
[41:31] | And isn’t it possible | 在庭审期间, |
[41:33] | the manslaughter deal | 这个过失杀人的控辩交易有可能一直有效吗? |
[41:34] | could still be available during trail? | 这个过失杀人的控辩交易有可能一直有效吗? |
[41:37] | That is certainly possible, but– | 当然可能,但是。。。 |
[41:38] | Then I want to try. | 那我们就去出庭。 |
[41:40] | Let’s see how the trial goes, then– | 根据庭审的进展情况,然后。。。 |
[41:42] | If the prosecution’s case goes well, | 如果检方的局面不错, |
[41:44] | this deal will be off the table. | 这个交易会被取消的。 |
[41:51] | Eighteen months, Keith. | 才十八个月,Keith, |
[41:54] | You killed a man. | 你毕竟杀了一个人。 |
[41:56] | It was mistaken self-defense. | 这是一次误解导致的正当防卫 |
[41:59] | The prosecution knows they can’t disprove that. | 检方自知对此无法反驳。 |
[42:02] | That’s why the manslaughter | 这也就是为什么会提出过失杀人的控辩交易的原因。 |
[42:03] | is being offered. | 这也就是为什么会提出过失杀人的控辩交易的原因。 |
[42:05] | We go to trial. | 我们出庭吧。 |
[42:07] | You understand the risk? | 你明白要冒风险吗? |
[42:09] | I do. | 我明白。 |
[42:11] | Let’s go to trial. | 让我们出庭吧。 |
[42:23] | If you didn’t get your courtroom pass | 如果你三周前没有拿到法庭旁听证, |
[42:25] | three weeks ago, and without media credentials, | 或者没有要走后门才能拿到的新闻媒体证件, |
[42:27] | you’d have to know somebody to get one, | 或者没有要走后门才能拿到的新闻媒体证件, |
[42:29] | you won’t be sitting in division three | 那你在接下来的一段时间内, |
[42:31] | in the Suffolk Superior Courthouse, | 不可能在Suffolk高级法院的三号法庭找到座位。 |
[42:33] | not today or any day | 不可能在Suffolk高级法院的三号法庭找到座位。 |
[42:35] | in the near future. | 不可能在Suffolk高级法院的三号法庭找到座位。 |
[42:36] | It’s not just because it’s a murder trial | 这不仅仅因为这是一场谋杀案的庭审, |
[42:38] | or that it involves a State Senator | 或是因为涉及到一位参议员, |
[42:40] | or even that two | 或者甚至是因为两个做对手的律师是室友。 |
[42:41] | of the opposing lawyers | 或者甚至是因为两个做对手的律师是室友。 |
[42:42] | are roommates. | 或者甚至是因为两个做对手的律师是室友。 |
[42:44] | It’s because of that burning question | 而是因为这次庭审 |
[42:46] | this trial will attempt to answer, | 会对那个被爆炒的问题给出答案, |
[42:48] | the question that this entire city has, | 两个月来,这个问题在整个城市的街头巷尾和酒吧餐厅被提及 |
[42:51] | for two months now, | 两个月来,这个问题在整个城市 |
[42:52] | been asking on every street corner, | 两个月来,这个问题在整个城市 |
[42:54] | in every bar room, | 的街头巷尾和酒吧餐厅被提及 |
[42:55] | at every dinner table, | 的街头巷尾和酒吧餐厅被提及 |
[42:56] | what was Senator Ellison really thinking | Ellison参议员开枪的那一刻的真实想法是什么? |
[42:59] | when he fired that gun? | Ellison参议员开枪的那一刻的真实想法是什么? |
[43:01] | Did he believe his wife’s life was in danger | 他认为他的太太生命受到了威胁? |
[43:03] | or was the shooting an act of vengeance? | 或者这次枪击就是一种报复行为? |
[43:06] | The prosecution has vowed to put in a short case, | 检方承诺这会是个短暂的庭审。 |
[43:09] | the facts not really being in dispute. | 犯罪行为没有什么可争议的。 |
[43:11] | Every legal analyst agrees | 每个法律分析师都认为 |
[43:13] | the trial will come down to Senator Ellison’s testimony | 这次审理将取决于Ellison参议员的作证, |
[43:16] | and the cross-examination by Helen Gamble, | 以及Helen Gamble 那想必是极其凶悍的交叉盘问。 |
[43:19] | which figures to be extremely tough. | 以及Helen Gamble 那想必是极其凶悍的交叉盘问。 |
[43:27] | Let’s go. | 走吧。 |
[43:44] | Senator? | 参议员先生? |
[43:45] | Does the Senator have a comment?– | 参议员先生有什么要说的吗?。。。 |
[43:51] | Senator– | 参议员先生。。。 |
[43:55] | Ms. Gamble, Mr. Lowe… | Gamble女士, Lowe先生。。。 |
[44:35] | This trial is not about who shot | 这次审判关键不在于是谁杀了James McNoun, |
[44:37] | and killed James McNoun. | 这次审判关键不在于是谁杀了James McNoun, |
[44:40] | The defendant did that. | 是被告干的。 |
[44:41] | There’s no dispute there. | 这一点毫无争议。 |
[44:44] | This trial is about why he did it. | 关键在于他是为什么。 |
[44:47] | Now, the evidence will show conclusively | 目前,证据确凿地表明 |
[44:50] | that the defendant discovered his wife | 被告发现了他的太太和受害人做爱, |
[44:52] | making love to the victim | 被告发现了他的太太和受害人做爱, |
[44:54] | and in an act of anger | 受愤怒和复仇驱使杀害了McNoun先生。 |
[44:55] | and revenge, | 受愤怒和复仇驱使杀害了McNoun先生。 |
[44:57] | murdered Mr. McNoun. | 受愤怒和复仇驱使杀害了McNoun先生。 |
[44:59] | The evidence will show | 证据会表明被告随后试图掩盖他的罪行, |
[45:01] | the defendant then sought to cover up his crime, | 证据会表明被告随后试图掩盖他的罪行, |
[45:03] | that he either destroyed | 他出于从这起谋杀中脱身的目的,破坏或着篡改了证据。 |
[45:05] | or tampered with evidence | 他出于从这起谋杀中脱身的目的,破坏或着篡改了证据。 |
[45:07] | in an attempt to get away | 他出于从这起谋杀中脱身的目的,破坏或着篡改了证据。 |
[45:09] | with this murder. | 他出于从这起谋杀中脱身的目的,破坏或着篡改了证据。 |
[45:11] | There’s an old saying in the medical profession, | 医学界有句老话, |
[45:14] | “When you hear hoof beats, | “当你听到马蹄声时,不要总想起斑马来” |
[45:16] | don’t think zebra.” | “当你听到马蹄声时,不要总想起斑马来” |
[45:18] | Now, this means instead of looking | 在此,这意味着不必去探求一些怪异和牵强的结论。 |
[45:20] | for some exotic, | 在此,这意味着不必去探求一些怪异和牵强的结论。 |
[45:22] | far-fetched diagnosis, | 在此,这意味着不必去探求一些怪异和牵强的结论。 |
[45:23] | just see the obvious. | 只要盯着那些显而易见的事实即可。 |
[45:26] | In this trial, ladies and gentlemen, | 先生们女士们,本次庭审中, |
[45:28] | the Commonwealth will only be asking you | 检方只会请你们关注这些显而易见的事实。 |
[45:30] | to see the obvious. | 检方只会请你们关注这些显而易见的事实。 |
[45:33] | The defendant murdered the man | 被告杀了这个和她太太做爱的男人。 |
[45:35] | sleeping with his wife. | 被告杀了这个和她太太做爱的男人。 |
[45:51] | I agree with the district attorney. | 我同意地区检察官的说法, |
[45:53] | This trial is simply | 这次庭审仅是针对Ellison为什么会在家中 |
[45:55] | about why Senator Ellison | 这次庭审仅是针对Ellison为什么会在家中 |
[45:57] | fatally wounded the stranger in his house. | 使一个陌生人受到了致命伤。 |
[46:01] | To answer that question, | 为了回答这个问题, |
[46:03] | you’ll need to get into the head | 你们要设身处地地替Ellison参议员想一下。 |
[46:05] | of Senator Ellison. | 你们要设身处地地替Ellison参议员想一下。 |
[46:07] | You’ll need to imagine | 你们需要想象自己晚上回到家 |
[46:09] | coming home late at night | 你们需要想象自己晚上回到家 |
[46:11] | and hearing the sounds of a struggle | 听到了从你卧室传来搏斗的声响。 |
[46:13] | coming from your bedroom. | 听到了从你卧室传来搏斗的声响。 |
[46:15] | You will need to fathom the panic, | 当你知道你的爱人今晚独自在家时, |
[46:18] | knowing your spouse | 当你知道你的爱人今晚独自在家时, |
[46:20] | was home alone this night. | 你们需要体会这种恐慌, |
[46:22] | You will have to appreciate the fear | 你们要体会到这种会突然吞噬掉你的恐惧, |
[46:24] | that can suddenly consume you | 你们要体会到这种会突然吞噬掉你的恐惧, |
[46:26] | at the thought– | 当你想到。。。 |
[46:28] | the thought that the person you love | 想到你爱的人在隔壁房间被强奸或者被杀害 |
[46:30] | is being raped | 想到你爱的人在隔壁房间被强奸或者被杀害 |
[46:32] | or possibly killed | 想到你爱的人在隔壁房间被强奸或者被杀害 |
[46:33] | in the next room. | 想到你爱的人在隔壁房间被强奸或者被杀害 |
[46:35] | Can any of us truly presume | 我们中有人能真正地推断出来那会是什么情况吗? |
[46:38] | to know what that must be like? | 我们中有人能真正地推断出来那会是什么情况吗? |
[46:40] | Have any of us ever had to listen | 我们中有人曾经听到过自己的丈夫或者妻子 |
[46:42] | to the sounds of a husband | 我们中有人曾经听到过自己的丈夫或者妻子 |
[46:44] | or wife being attacked | 遭到一个不速之客攻击时发出的声音吗? |
[46:45] | by an intruder? | 遭到一个不速之客攻击时发出的声音吗? |
[46:48] | The evidence will show | 证据会表明在当晚所发生的是 |
[46:50] | what happened that night | 证据会表明在当晚所发生的是 |
[46:51] | is that Senator Ellison went racing | Ellison参议员冲进那间屋子去保护他所钟爱的女人 |
[46:54] | into that room | 去保护他所钟爱的女人, |
[46:55] | to protect the woman he loved, | 去保护他所钟爱的女人, |
[46:57] | the mother of his daughter, | 他女儿Allison的妈妈, |
[47:00] | Allison. | 他女儿Allison的妈妈, |
[47:01] | He charged in there with a gun | 他拿着枪冲进去的时候, |
[47:03] | in a state of panic, | 他处于惊慌、担忧和恐惧的状态下, |
[47:05] | fear, horror | 他处于惊慌、担忧和恐惧的状态下, |
[47:06] | to see an intruder | 看到一个不速之客压在他太太的身上。 |
[47:08] | on top of his wife, | 看到一个不速之客压在他太太的身上。 |
[47:09] | and he fired. | 于是他开了枪。 |
[47:13] | Turns out, | 结果呢, |
[47:16] | he got it wrong. | 他搞错了, |
[47:17] | It was mistaken self-defense. | 这是个错误的正当防卫。 |
[47:22] | That will be the evidence | 这是明摆着的, |
[47:24] | because it’s the truth, | 因为这本来就是事实, |
[47:27] | and as you listen to the facts, | 当你们听取事实经过,听取证人的证词时, |
[47:29] | the testimony, | 当你们听取事实经过,听取证人的证词时, |
[47:30] | the witnesses, | 当你们听取事实经过,听取证人的证词时, |
[47:31] | remember, the prosecution’s entire case, | 请记住,检方的全部立案依据, |
[47:35] | all of it, | 所有的依据, |
[47:36] | the reason we are even here, | 也就是为什么我们会在这里的原因, |
[47:40] | is their presumption | 仅是他们假定自己 |
[47:41] | they know what was going on | 了解Ellison参议员脑子里想的是什么。 |
[47:43] | in Senator Ellison’s mind. | 了解Ellison参议员脑子里想的是什么。 |
[47:47] | Of course, that’s impossible, | 当然,那是不可能的, |
[47:49] | impossible for them to know, | 他们不可能了解, |
[47:52] | impossible for you to know. | 你们也一样。 |
[47:55] | All the Commonwealth can really do | 检方真正能做的只是要你们去想象。 |
[47:57] | is ask you to imagine. | 检方真正能做的只是要你们去想象。 |
[48:03] | And we will be making | 而我们要提出的也是完全一样的要求。 |
[48:04] | that very same request. | 而我们要提出的也是完全一样的要求。 |
[48:09] | Imagine. | 想象。 |
[48:25] | That’s how he looked when we got there. | 我们到那儿的时候他就是这个样子。 |
[48:27] | Who else was there when you arrived, detective? | 警探,你到的时候还有谁? |
[48:29] | The defendant, Mrs. Ellison, | 被告和Ellison太太, |
[48:31] | the daughter, Allison, | 他们的女儿,Allison, |
[48:32] | and the defendant’s attorney, Ms. Frutt. | 还有被告的律师Frutt女士 |
[48:34] | The attorney was there before the police? | 律师比警察早到了吗? |
[48:36] | That’s correct. | 没错。 |
[48:37] | Who called the police? | 谁报的警? |
[48:39] | Ms. Frutt. | |
[48:40] | Was there ever a 911 call placed | 有从住宅里打出的911报警电话吗? |
[48:42] | from the residence? | 有从住宅里打出的911报警电话吗? |
[48:43] | No, there was not. | 没有。 |
[48:44] | After you finally got there, | 在你到达现场后, |
[48:46] | at some point you decided | 在某个时刻你决定将被告以涉嫌谋杀进行逮捕。 |
[48:47] | to place the defendant | 在某个时刻你决定将被告以涉嫌谋杀进行逮捕。 |
[48:48] | under arrest for murder. | 在某个时刻你决定将被告以涉嫌谋杀进行逮捕。 |
[48:50] | Yes. Why? | -是的 -为什么? |
[48:51] | There was a single gunshot wound to the head | 只有在相当近的距离击中头部的枪伤, |
[48:53] | from a fairly close range, | 只有在相当近的距离击中头部的枪伤, |
[48:54] | resembling an execution-style– Objection. | -类似于一种处决的方式。。。 -反对 |
[48:56] | Sustained. | 反对有效。 |
[48:58] | The gun was found on the scene. | 在现场找到了抢。 |
[49:00] | It belonged to the defendant. | 是属于被告的。 |
[49:01] | Did you check it for fingerprints? | 你查验过指纹吗? |
[49:03] | It had been wiped clean of any fingerprints. | 所有指纹都被擦掉了。 |
[49:05] | Did you subsequently do any tests | 你后来针对被告做过什么测试以确定他是否拿过枪吗? |
[49:07] | on the defendant to determine | 你后来针对被告做过什么测试以确定他是否拿过抢吗? |
[49:08] | if he had held the gun? | 你后来针对被告做过什么测试以确定他是否拿过枪吗? |
[49:10] | Yes We did what is known as a trace metal test, | 是的,我们做的是微量金属测试, |
[49:12] | which basically indicates whether or not a person | 这种测试主要是表明一个人最近是否持过枪。 |
[49:14] | has recently held a firearm. | 这种测试主要是表明一个人最近是否持过枪。 |
[49:16] | And what were the results of this test? | 测试结果呢? |
[49:18] | They were negative. | 结果是阴性,他没有持过枪。 |
[49:19] | Well, now I’m confused | 那,我现在有点糊涂了, |
[49:21] | because the defendant subsequently admitted | 因为被告后来承认他拿着枪开枪了呀。 |
[49:24] | that he had held and fired the gun. | 因为被告后来承认他拿着枪开枪了呀。 |
[49:26] | We believe that he either wiped the residue off | 我们认为他要么是把残留物擦掉了 |
[49:29] | or he was wearing gloves. | 要么就是他戴了手套。 |
[49:30] | So before he ran to get the gun, | 那就是说在他跑去拿枪前, |
[49:32] | he first ran to go put on a pair of gloves. | 他先跑去找了一副手套戴上。 |
[49:35] | Objection–speculation. | 反对。。。引导证人进行猜测。 |
[49:36] | Overruled. | 反对无效。 |
[49:38] | He can state his opinion. | 他可以陈述他的意见。 |
[49:39] | We think he was going to hide his I. D. | 我们认为他是想掩盖他枪手的身份, |
[49:41] | as the shooter, | 我们认为他是想掩盖他枪手的身份, |
[49:42] | then changed his mind | 之后他改了主意,转为提出正当防卫。 |
[49:43] | and went to self-defense. | 之后他改了主意,转为提出正当防卫。 |
[49:44] | When you arrived, detective, | 警探先生,当你到达现场的时候, |
[49:46] | how was the defendant dressed? | 被告衣着如何? |
[49:48] | He was showered, | 他洗过澡了, |
[49:49] | wearing freshly laundered clothes. | 穿着新洗过的衣服。 |
[49:50] | The clothes he had previously been seen in | 他之前被看到穿过的衣服在洗衣机里。 |
[49:52] | were in the washing machine. | 他之前被看到穿过的衣服在洗衣机里。 |
[49:53] | The washing machine, | 你到现场的时候,那台洗衣机正在运转吗? |
[49:55] | was that on when you arrived? | 你到现场的时候,那台洗衣机正在运转吗? |
[49:56] | No, but judging from the heat | 不,但根据洗衣机表面的温度, |
[49:58] | on the surface of the machine, | 不,但根据洗衣机表面的温度, |
[50:00] | we determined that it had been on | 我们确定这台洗衣机在之前的40分钟内使用过。 |
[50:01] | within the previous 40 minutes. | 我们确定这台洗衣机在之前的40分钟内使用过。 |
[50:02] | So after the shooting, | 那就是说枪击后, |
[50:04] | the defendant did a load of laundry. | 被告洗了一大堆衣服。 |
[50:07] | Seems so. | 看来是的。 |
[50:10] | After a shooting at this range, | 在这个距离内射击后, |
[50:11] | it’s likely there would be some blood splattered | 很可能会有一些血迹溅到Ellison参议员的身上。 |
[50:13] | on Senator Ellison. | 很可能会有一些血迹溅到Ellison参议员的身上。 |
[50:14] | Isn’t that right, detective? | 不是吗,警探先生? |
[50:15] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[50:16] | Isn’t it also likely, | 一个人不想穿着一件溅上血迹的衣服, |
[50:18] | detective, that a person might not want to stand | 一个人不想穿着一件溅上血迹的衣服, |
[50:20] | around in bloody clothes? | 警探先生,这也不可能吗? |
[50:21] | That’s possible. | 有这样的可能。 |
[50:23] | And if one were to take off bloody clothes, | 而如果一个人脱掉带血的衣服, |
[50:25] | what would one likely do with them? | 他可能会怎么处理呢? |
[50:27] | Fold them up, put them back in the drawer? | 把它们叠起来,放回抽屉里吗? |
[50:28] | Objection. Withdrawn. | -反对 -我撤回这个提问。 |
[50:30] | It’s your testimony, detective, | 警探先生,你的证词是说, |
[50:31] | that because my client washed his clothes, | 因为我的当事人洗了他的衣服, |
[50:34] | that made him suspicious. | 所以这使他可疑。 |
[50:35] | Yes, it’s one thing– | 是的,这是一件事。。。 |
[50:37] | You’ve answered the question. Thank you. | 你已经回答了问题,谢谢你。 |
[50:39] | You also testified that he had taken a shower. | 你还作证说他洗了澡。 |
[50:41] | Which I also found suspicious. | 这一点我也觉得可疑。 |
[50:42] | Preposterous to think | 一个人身上溅了血会想去冲个澡,这反常吗? |
[50:43] | that a person splattered with blood | 一个人身上溅了血会想去冲个澡,这反常吗? |
[50:46] | might want to wash himself? | 一个人身上溅了血会想去冲个澡,这反常吗? |
[50:47] | I found it a little preposterous that he would shower | 是的,我认为他在报警之前洗澡洗衣服是有点反常。 |
[50:50] | and do laundry before even calling the police, yes. | 是的,我认为他在报警之前洗澡洗衣服是有点反常。 |
[50:52] | Oh, you know he did those things | 噢,你知道他是在Frutt女士报警前洗澡洗衣服的吗? |
[50:54] | before Ms. Frutt called the police? | 噢,你知道他是在Frutt女士报警前洗澡洗衣服的吗? |
[50:55] | I know he did them before we arrived. | 我知道的是他在我们到达前做的这些事。 |
[50:57] | That wasn’t your statement, detective. | 警探先生,你不是那么说的。 |
[50:59] | Your conclusion was he did them before you were called. | 你的结论是说他是在你们接到报警前做了那些事。 |
[51:02] | Can you state that to a conclusion, detective? | 你能就此下定论吗,警探先生? |
[51:05] | No. | 不能 |
[51:06] | So this was a conclusion | 那这是你刚得出的结论吗? |
[51:07] | you just leapt to? | 那这是你刚得出的结论吗? |
[51:08] | No– DONNELL: You just took | -不是。。。 -你只是刚发现这个问题而使其迎合你的说法。 |
[51:10] | the evidence found | -不是。。。 -你只是刚发现这个问题而使其迎合你的说法。 |
[51:11] | and made it fit with your theory. | -不是。。。 -你只是刚发现这个问题而使其迎合你的说法。 |
[51:12] | Objection–argumentative. | 反对。。。争论性问题。 |
[51:14] | Sustained. | 反对有效。 |
[51:15] | Ever known it to be the case, detective, | 警探先生,你可曾知道一个人拿着枪开火 但微量金属检测却是阴性的案例吗? |
[51:17] | where one holds the gun, shoots it even, | 警探先生,你可曾知道一个人拿着枪开火 但微量金属检测却是阴性的案例吗? |
[51:19] | and the trace metal test comes up negative? | 警探先生,你可曾知道一个人拿着枪开火 但微量金属检测却是阴性的案例吗? |
[51:21] | Very unlikely. DONNELL: Ever known it | -不太可能 -知道会发生这种情况吗,警探先生? -是的。 |
[51:23] | to happen, detective? Yes. | -不太可能 -知道会发生这种情况吗,警探先生? -是的。 |
[51:25] | And if one were to take a shower, detective, | 而如果一个人洗了澡,会或多或少 使微量金属测试呈现阴性,是吗? |
[51:27] | would that make it more or less likely | 而如果一个人洗了澡,会或多或少 使微量金属测试呈现阴性,是吗? |
[51:31] | for the trace metal test to come up negative? | 而如果一个人洗了澡,会或多或少 使微量金属测试呈现阴性,是吗? |
[51:33] | Washing the hands doesn’t nec– DONNELL: My question, | -洗手。。。 -警探先生,我的问题是 |
[51:36] | detective, is would showering | 洗澡会或多或少使微量金属测试呈现阴性吗? |
[51:38] | make it more or less likely | 洗澡会或多或少使微量金属测试呈现阴性吗? |
[51:40] | for the trace metal test | 洗澡会或多或少使微量金属测试呈现阴性吗? |
[51:42] | to come up negative? | 洗澡会或多或少使微量金属测试呈现阴性吗? |
[51:43] | I would say more likely, but– | 我要说这很可能,但是。。。 |
[51:45] | So it’s likely | 那么很可能是 |
[51:47] | my client didn’t wear gloves | 我的当事人并不是像你说的那样戴了手套。 |
[51:50] | like you think. | 我的当事人并不是像你说的那样戴了手套。 |
[51:52] | That’s possible. | 你说的是有可能。 |
[51:53] | Thank you, detective. | 谢谢你,警探先生。 |
[51:58] | I thought you crossed him well. | 我认为你对他的交叉盘问做得很好。 |
[52:00] | We still got to deal | 我们还得解释没有指纹的问题, |
[52:01] | with no fingerprints, | 我们还得解释没有指纹的问题, |
[52:02] | why the gun was wiped clean. | 为什么枪上的指纹被擦掉了。 |
[52:03] | Marsha covers that in her testimony. | Marsha的证词会对此解释的。 |
[52:05] | That was a weak opening for the prosecution. | 检方的开局做得并不好。 |
[52:07] | I’m surprised they led with that. | 我很诧异他们一开始就搬出这些来。 |
[52:09] | What else have they got? | 他们还有别的吗? |
[52:10] | Who’s next? | 下一个证人是谁? |
[52:11] | Jason Pearlmutter, | |
[52:12] | former aide to the Senator. | 前参议员助手。 |
[52:13] | I’m ready for him. | 我准备好怎么对付他了。 |
[52:15] | What did the consultant say? | 陪审团顾问有什么看法吗? |
[52:17] | McGuire did come off credible, | McGuire表现得很让人可信, |
[52:18] | and phoning the lawyers before calling the police | 而且报警前先给律师打电话给人的印象并不好。 |
[52:20] | didn’t go over well. | 而且报警前先给律师打电话给人的印象并不好。 |
[52:22] | They thought you were a little aggressive. | 顾问们认为你有点咄咄逼人。 |
[52:26] | What else? That’s basically it. | -还别的呢? -基本上就是这些。 |
[52:27] | They thought you did a good job poking holes, | 他们认为你在抓漏洞方面做得不错, |
[52:29] | but McGuire still seemed reasonable | 但McGuire看起来还是可被接受的。 |
[52:31] | and, ultimately, they believed him. | 最终,顾问们是相信他的。 |
[52:33] | You got to take care of Pearlmutter. | 你得搞定Pearlmutter。 |
[52:38] | Something was bothering him the whole week. | 他整整一个星期都因为某些事而烦恼。 |
[52:40] | The week before the shooting? | 枪击之前的一个星期吗? |
[52:41] | Yes, Senator Ellison is typically | 是的,Ellison参议员通常是一个非常和蔼可亲的人 |
[52:44] | a very affable person | 是的,Ellison参议员通常是一个非常和蔼可亲的人 |
[52:46] | and rather easygoing for somebody | 即使在他那种工作压力下也待人相当随和。 |
[52:48] | with the stress of his kind of work, | 即使在他那种工作压力下也待人相当随和。 |
[52:50] | but in the days before the shooting, | 但在枪击事件发生前的几天, |
[52:51] | something was troubling him. | 有些事困扰着他。 |
[52:53] | How were you in a position | Pearlmutter先生,你怎么能注意到这一切的呢? |
[52:54] | to notice all this, Mr. Pearlmutter? | Pearlmutter先生,你怎么能注意到这一切的呢? |
[52:56] | I was his aide. | 我是他的助手。 |
[52:57] | I was typically with him 12 hours a day. | 通常我一天中有十二个小时和他在一起。 |
[52:59] | Did you ask him what was wrong? | 你问过他有什么麻烦吗? |
[53:01] | Objection–hearsay. | 反对。。。传闻证据。 |
[53:02] | Declaration against interest. | 对声明人不利陈述例外 (排除传闻证据的例外情况之一,指该项传闻的陈述 在作出时是不利于声明人的利益的) |
[53:03] | I’ll allow it. | 我对此允许。 |
[53:05] | Did you ask him, sir? | 你问过他吗,先生? |
[53:06] | Yes, he indicated | 是的,他说那是家事。 |
[53:08] | it was stuff at home. | 是的,他说那是家事。 |
[53:09] | And you took that to mean… | 你理解那是在说。。。 |
[53:11] | Problems with his marriage. | 他的婚姻出了问题。 |
[53:12] | How did you come to take it that way? | 你是如何得出这样的理解的? |
[53:14] | Well, he would indicate | 呃,他暗示他和她太太有一阵子关系疏远了 |
[53:15] | that he and his wife would go | 呃,他暗示他和她太太有一阵子关系疏远了 |
[53:17] | through bouts of estrangement, | 呃,他暗示他和她太太有一阵子关系疏远了 |
[53:18] | and after working for him for 11 years | 我为他工作了十一年了, |
[53:21] | I developed a pretty good barometer | 每当事情不妙的时候, |
[53:23] | for detecting when things weren’t going well. | 我的晴雨表都可以敏锐地察觉到。 |
[53:25] | And the days before the shooting, | 枪击前的那几天,依你看算是这样的时候吧。 |
[53:27] | this was one of those times, | 枪击前的那几天,依你看算是这样的时候吧。 |
[53:28] | in your opinion. | 枪击前的那几天,依你看算是这样的时候吧。 |
[53:29] | Yes. | 是的 |
[53:33] | Are you a psychologist? PEARLMUTTER: No. | -你是个心理学家吗? -不是 |
[53:36] | Did Senator Ellison tell you he was having troubles | Ellison参议员跟你说他和他太太之间出问题了吗? |
[53:38] | with his wife? | Ellison参议员跟你说他和他太太之间出问题了吗? |
[53:39] | No, not specifically. | 没有,没具体说。 |
[53:40] | But you have a barometer. | 但你有个晴雨表呀。 |
[53:42] | He said “Stuff at home.” | 他说了“家事”。 |
[53:45] | And you just took that to mean problems with the wife. | 而你就理解为他和他太太出了问题。 |
[53:48] | I had also seen them together many times, Ms. Frutt, | Frutt女士,我也多次见过他们在一起,表现出疏远。 |
[53:51] | and witnessed the estrangement. | Frutt女士,我也多次见过他们在一起,表现出疏远。 |
[53:53] | He has a daughter, Allison. | 他有个女儿,叫Allison。 |
[53:54] | Did you know that? Of course. | -你知道吧? -当然知道 |
[53:55] | Did you know that she was arrested | 那你知道她去年因持有大麻而被捕吗? |
[53:57] | for possession of marijuana last year? | 那你知道她去年因持有大麻而被捕吗? |
[54:01] | No. FRUTT: So stuff at home goes on | -不知道 -所以家事有你不知道的, |
[54:03] | that you don’t know about. | -不知道 -所以家事有你不知道的, |
[54:04] | Isn’t that right, Mr. Pearlmutter? | 不对吗,Pearlmutter |
[54:05] | I never laid claim to knowing everything | 我从未说他家的事我什么都知道, |
[54:08] | that goes on in his household. Of course not. | 当然不会了。 |
[54:10] | So when Senator Ellison said “Stuff at home,” | 那么当Ellison说“家事”的时候, |
[54:13] | you were only guessing | 你只不过是猜想那和他太太有关,不是吗? |
[54:14] | that it involved his wife, weren’t you, sir? | 你只不过是猜想那和他太太有关,不是吗? |
[54:16] | Again, after 11 years of working with the man– | 我再说一次,我为他工作了十一年了。。。 |
[54:19] | You’ve got that barometer. | 你有个晴雨表嘛。 |
[54:21] | Objection. | 反对 |
[54:21] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[54:26] | Nothing further. | 没有更多的问题了。 |
[54:29] | You’re in some trouble. Why? | -你们有麻烦了。 -为什么? |
[54:32] | Well, you’re asking them to believe | 你们想要陪审团相信 |
[54:34] | he shot a man by mistake | 你们想要陪审团相信 |
[54:35] | who just happened to be sleeping | 他误杀了一个碰巧和他太太在那时做爱的男人 |
[54:36] | with his wife at the time. | 他误杀了一个碰巧和他太太在那时做爱的男人 |
[54:37] | Which is what happened. | 就是那么回事呀。 |
[54:38] | Maybe so, but for the jury to believe it, | 也许是,但为了让陪审团相信这一点, |
[54:40] | everything has to be going our way. | 一切都要按我们的方式进行。 |
[54:43] | With this suggestion of marital troubles, | 但有了这个婚姻问题的暗示, |
[54:45] | it just makes it a little hard to believe | 就是让人难以相信Keith对当时所发生的事一无所知 |
[54:47] | that Keith didn’t have some inkling | 就是让人难以相信Keith对当时所发生的事一无所知 |
[54:48] | of what was going on. | 就是让人难以相信Keith对当时所发生的事一无所知 |
[54:49] | Is that what the consultants think? | 这是陪审团顾问的看法吗? |
[54:51] | It’s what I think. | 我就是这么想的。 |
[54:52] | Who’s up next? | 下一个作证的是谁? |
[54:53] | Candace Levy, | |
[54:55] | she’s just to help establish the affair which, | 她只是有助于证实存在私通的事, |
[54:57] | since nobody’s arguing, | 既然没人能反驳她, |
[54:59] | I don’t know why they’re still bothering to call her. | 我不知道为什么他们还要费神去传唤她。 |
[55:01] | They’re calling her to set the idea. | 他们传唤她作证是为了造成一个印象。 |
[55:02] | The more people who knew about it, | 越多的人知道,参议员就更可能也知道。 |
[55:04] | the more likely the Senator knew about it. | 越多的人知道,参议员就更可能也知道。 |
[55:06] | Well, there’s nothing she can say | 那么,她说什么都不会伤害到我们的, |
[55:08] | that will really hurt us | 那么,她说什么都不会伤害到我们的, |
[55:09] | and, besides, she’s the only one | 况且,她也是唯一知道这些事的人。 |
[55:10] | who seemed to know about it. | 况且,她也是唯一知道这些事的人。 |
[55:11] | Who’s after that? | 之后是谁作证? |
[55:13] | They still might call Allison | |
[55:14] | to establish a time frame. | |
[55:15] | She’s not going to give them any help. | 她不会给他们任何帮助的。 |
[55:17] | They won’t dare call her. | 他们应该不敢传唤她。 |
[55:23] | It might be worth calling her. | 传唤她作证时有用的。 |
[55:25] | Why? GAMBLE: Well, it was so obvious | -为什么? 她之前显而易见是为了保护她父亲而撒谎 |
[55:27] | before that she was lying | 她之前显而易见是为了保护她父亲而撒谎 |
[55:28] | to protect her father. | 她之前显而易见是为了保护她父亲而撒谎 |
[55:29] | If it’s that’s obvious to a jury, | 如果这对陪审团也是显而易见的话, |
[55:31] | it’s got to work in our favor. | 那就必须要为我所用。 |
[55:33] | All we got to do is catch them | 我们要做的就是抓住他们撒了谎, |
[55:34] | in one lie even if it’s the daughter’s. | 哪怕是他女儿撒谎也行。 |
[55:36] | No, Helen, they’re planning to call her. | 不行,Helen,他们计划要传唤她作证。 |
[55:39] | That means they prepped her for cross. | 那就意味着他们为她做好了接受交叉盘问的准备。 |
[55:41] | It’s too dangerous. | 这太危险了。 |
[55:43] | Are you ready with Levy? Yes. | -Levy的作证你准备好了吗? -是的。 |
[55:46] | You hear what they’re calling us on the news? | 你听到新闻上他们叫我们什么吗? |
[55:49] | The steam team. | 热力组合。 |
[55:50] | Why is that? | 怎么讲? |
[55:51] | GAMBLE: I don’t know. | 不知道。 |
[55:52] | Maybe because they think I’m hot | 或许是因为我看起来很性感 |
[55:54] | and steamy and you– | 激情热辣,而你。。。 |
[55:57] | because you’re sitting next to me. | 因为你坐在我身边。 |
[56:01] | Must be it. | 一定是这个意思。 |
[56:03] | Hmm. | 嗯。 |
[56:05] | You like being on the news, huh? | 你喜欢上新闻吧? |
[56:06] | If it gets me noticed | 如果这能使我 |
[56:08] | by some rich admirer | 被某个的富有仰慕者看上, |
[56:10] | who whisks me off to Fiji | 带我去斐济, |
[56:11] | to lick caviar off my thighs, | 舔我大腿上的鱼子酱。 |
[56:13] | I–well, you can’t beat that. | 我。。。还有比这更好的吗 |
[56:16] | You ever notice how, in a big trial, | 在一个大案子中, |
[56:17] | any place far off seems pretty good? | 你可曾注意到还有看起来很好的愿景吗? |
[56:21] | (sighs) | 哎 |
[56:22] | Think we’ll get him? | 我们会拿下他吗? |
[56:24] | I hope so. | 我希望如此。 |
[56:27] | I keep hearing that press conference in my head. | 我脑子里一直在想那个记者招待会 |
[56:31] | The man is good. | 这人表现不错。 |
[56:41] | All in all, it wasn’t a terribly powerful day | 总而言之,对于检方来说,这并不是非常成功的一天。 |
[56:44] | for the prosecution, | 总而言之,对于检方来说,这并不是非常成功的一天。 |
[56:45] | but the consensus is it didn’t need to be. | 但一致的意见是这大可不必强求。 |
[56:48] | Though technically the burden is on the state, | 尽管从严格意义上讲举证责任应该在检方, |
[56:51] | most experts feel that burden has really shifted | 但大多数专家感觉到本案的举证责任 |
[56:54] | to the defense in this case. | 已经转移到被告一方了。 |
[56:56] | I’m getting a bad feeling, Bobby. | 我有种不好的感觉,Bobby。 |
[56:58] | Anything on the table? | 认罪交易还有效吗? |
[56:59] | No, we haven’t even put in our case yet. | 不,我们的案子甚至还没有举证呢 |
[57:02] | Our case? | 我们的案子? |
[57:03] | Well, a big part of it is Marsha’s unflinching support, | 这大部分要靠Marsha坚定不移的支持。 |
[57:06] | which isn’t so great. | 这一点不好说。 |
[57:07] | She’ll say what she needs to say. | 需要她说的,她会说的。 |
[57:11] | I got a bad feeling. | 我有种不好的感觉。 |
[57:16] | It was an office party | 那是一次为了向已经退休的副总统 |
[57:18] | in honor of one of the vice presidents | 表达敬意的的官方社交聚会。 |
[57:20] | who was retiring. | 表达敬意的的官方招待会。 |
[57:21] | Mr. McNoun was there. | McNoun先生出席了。 |
[57:23] | So was Mr. Ellison with his wife. | Ellison夫妇也出席了。 |
[57:26] | What’s your position, Ms. Levy? | 你的职位是什么,Levy女士? |
[57:27] | I’m the head of accounting. | 我是财务部的主管。 |
[57:30] | And who was your direct superior? | 你的顶头上司是谁? |
[57:31] | It was Mr. McNoun. | 是McNoun先生。 |
[57:33] | He was chief financial officer. | 他是首席财务执行官 |
[57:35] | Did you know Mrs. Ellison? | 你认识Ellison夫人吗? |
[57:37] | Yes, she also works at Reynolds. | 是的,她也在Reynolds公司工作。 |
[57:39] | I never dealt directly with her. | 但我从来没有直接和她打过交道。 |
[57:41] | GAMBLE: Ms. Levy, calling your attention | Levy女士,请你注意一下七月那次官方招待会的当晚, |
[57:43] | to the night of the office party in July, | Levy女士,请你注意一下七月那次官方招待会的当晚, |
[57:45] | did you have occasion to observe | 你有机会看到McNoun先生或者Ellison夫人吗? |
[57:47] | either Mr. McNoun or Mrs. Ellison? | 你有机会看到McNoun先生或者Ellison夫人吗? |
[57:49] | Yes, I observed them both | 是的,我看到他们俩闪进他办公室里。 |
[57:51] | when they sort of darted into his office. | 是的,我看到他们俩闪进他办公室里。 |
[57:53] | They darted? | 闪进? |
[57:54] | Well, they went in rather quickly. | 嗯,他们进去得相当快 |
[57:57] | What did you see next? | 随后你看到了什么? |
[57:58] | Well, I didn’t exactly see anything, | 确切地说我没看到什么, |
[58:01] | but I’m ashamed to admit | 但我要不好意思地承认我在门口偷听了一会儿。 |
[58:03] | I did a little eavesdropping by the door. | 但我要不好意思地承认我在门口偷听了一会儿。 |
[58:06] | GAMBLE: Any particular reason you would do that? | 你为什么要这样做? |
[58:08] | LEVY: Well, I suspected | 呃,我怀疑他们俩之间有点什么事。 |
[58:10] | there was something going on between them. | 呃,我怀疑他们俩之间有点什么事。 |
[58:11] | GAMBLE: Why? | 为什么? |
[58:13] | Just body language when they interacted. | 就凭他们相处时的肢体语言。 |
[58:15] | I could tell. | 我看得出来。 |
[58:17] | Now, while you were doing your eavesdropping by the door, | 那么,你在门外偷听到了些什么? |
[58:19] | what, if anything, did you hear? | 那么,你在门外偷听到了些什么? |
[58:21] | Not too much because the party | 因为聚会很热闹,我也没听到很多。 |
[58:23] | was rather loud, | 因为聚会很热闹,我也没听到很多。 |
[58:24] | but I could hear she was angry, | 但我能听出来她很生气, |
[58:26] | and I heard her say, | 我听到她说, |
[58:27] | “It has to stop.” | “必须要停止” |
[58:29] | and she sounded angry. | 她的语调很气愤。 |
[58:31] | Did you hear anything else? | 你还听到了别的吗? |
[58:32] | No, that was all I heard. | 没有了,我就听到了那些。 |
[58:34] | A few seconds later, she kind of huffed out, | 一小会儿后,她怒气冲冲地出来了, |
[58:37] | and I looked in. | 我往屋里看了一眼。 |
[58:38] | He seemed very upset. | 他看起来很生气。 |
[58:41] | Ms. Levy, | |
[58:42] | did you ever have the opportunity | 你曾看到过McNoun先生和被告有过交谈吗? |
[58:44] | to hear any conversation between Mr. McNoun | 你曾看到过McNoun先生和被告有过交谈吗? |
[58:47] | and the defendant? | 你曾看到过McNoun先生和被告有过交谈吗? |
[58:48] | Yes, | 是的, |
[58:50] | that same night. | 就在同一天晚上。 |
[58:52] | At the party? | 在聚会上吗? |
[58:53] | Yes, | 是的 |
[58:55] | after Mrs. Ellison left Mr. McNoun’s office, | Ellison夫人离开McNoun先生的办公室一分钟后, |
[58:58] | about a minute later, I saw him go in. | 我看见他进去了。 |
[59:00] | The defendant? | 被告吗? |
[59:01] | Yes. | 对。 |
[59:03] | Did you hear what, if anything, was said? | 你听到他们说了什么吗? |
[59:05] | The Senator was also very upset, | 参议员也很生气, |
[59:07] | and I heard him say something like, | 我听到他好像说了些 |
[59:10] | “I will not be humiliated.” | “我不会被羞辱的” |
[59:12] | he said it twice. | 他说了两次。 |
[59:14] | “I will not let myself be humiliated.” | “我不会让自己被羞辱的” |
[59:16] | those were his words. | 他说的就是这些。 |
[59:17] | Then what? | 然后呢? |
[59:18] | He stormed out. | 他冲了出去。 |
[59:19] | Ms. Levy, are you positive | Levy女士,你肯定那是在七月十日吗? |
[59:21] | that this was July 10th, | Levy女士,你肯定那是在七月十日吗? |
[59:23] | two days before the shooting? | 也就是枪击前两天? |
[59:25] | Absolutely positive. | 绝对肯定。 |
[59:26] | Thank you, Ms. Levy. | 谢谢你,Levy女士。 |
[59:27] | Nothing further. | 没有问题要问了。 |
[59:34] | Ms. Levy, | |
[59:36] | you and I had a conversation | 你和我关于那天晚上的聚会谈过一次, |
[59:38] | about the events at this party, | 你和我关于那天晚上的聚会谈过一次, |
[59:39] | did we not? Yes. | -不是吗? -是谈过。 |
[59:41] | I asked you if you had any reason | 我问你是否有理由怀疑Ellison夫人和McNoun先生有染? |
[59:43] | to suspect a romantic relationship | 我问你是否有理由怀疑Ellison夫人和McNoun先生有染? |
[59:45] | between Mrs. Ellison and Mr. McNoun. | 我问你是否有理由怀疑Ellison夫人和McNoun先生有染? |
[59:49] | Yes, you did. | 是的,你问过。 |
[59:50] | You told me all about how Mrs. Ellison | 你跟我说了Ellison夫人进了McNoun先生的办公室 |
[59:52] | went into Mr. McNoun’s office. | 你跟我说了Ellison夫人进了McNoun先生的办公室 |
[59:54] | That’s correct, | 没错。 |
[59:55] | same as I’ve said here. | 我刚才也是这么说的。 |
[59:56] | Yes, well, | 对,那么, |
[59:58] | did you ever tell me | 你跟我说过你看到被告也进了McNoun先生办公室了吗? |
[59:59] | you saw the defendant go into Mr. McNoun’s office? | 你跟我说过你看到被告也进了McNoun先生办公室了吗? |
[1:00:02] | I don’t believe I did. | 我想我没有说。 |
[1:00:03] | Why is that, Ms. Levy? | 为什么不说,Levy女士? |
[1:00:05] | You didn’t ask. | 你没问呀。 |
[1:00:17] | Do you have a comment on what just happened? | 你对刚才的事有何评论? |
[1:00:18] | Mr. Donnell, how do you feel? No comment. | -Donnell先生,你有何感想? -无可奉告 |
[1:00:21] | Any comments on Ms. Levy’s testimony? | 对Levy女士的证词有何评论? |
[1:00:23] | Senator Ellison, did you know the man? | Ellison参议员,你认识那个人吗? |
[1:00:30] | It’s unfair surprise. | 这是不正当突袭。 |
[1:00:32] | That testimony– It isn’t unfair surprise. | -这个证词。。。 -这不是不正当突袭 |
[1:00:34] | She was on their list. Not to say that– | -他们提出的证人名单上有她。 -别提那个。。。 |
[1:00:36] | It isn’t unfair surprise! | 这不是不正当突袭! |
[1:00:38] | It was a screw-up, and it was yours, Jimmy! | 这是搞砸了,是你搞砸的,Jimmy! |
[1:00:40] | How could you miss– Hey– | 你怎么会。。。 -嘿。。。 |
[1:00:41] | All right. She’s lying! | -打住吧 -她在撒谎! |
[1:00:43] | They put her up there to lie! | 他们让她出庭撒谎! |
[1:00:53] | Was she lying, Keith ? | 她撒谎了吗,Keith ? |
[1:01:01] | You knew. | 你是知道的。 |
[1:01:04] | You knew about the affair. | 你知道私通的事。 |
[1:01:09] | So you murdered him. Ellenor. -Ellenor。 | -所以你谋杀了他 |
[1:01:11] | I am talking to the client. | 我在和当事人说话。 |
[1:01:13] | I’m not interested | 我不在乎当事人要说什么。 |
[1:01:14] | in what the client has to say. | 我不在乎当事人要说什么。 |
[1:01:16] | If we plan to keep going with self-defense, | 如果我们打算坚持正当防卫的话, |
[1:01:18] | you’re not interested | 你就不要在乎当事人要说什么。 |
[1:01:19] | in anything the client has to say. | 你就不要在乎当事人要说什么。 |
[1:01:20] | Are we clear? | 我们说明白了吗? |
[1:01:25] | Can you see if they’re still willing to plea? | 你们能问问他们还愿意达成认罪交易吗? |
[1:01:27] | I don’t want to plea. | 我不想认罪。 |
[1:01:28] | I can’t. | 我做不到。 |
[1:01:29] | Keith, they’ve got you. | Keith,他们已经抓住你了。 |
[1:01:30] | Can’t you– KEITH: If I plead out | -你不能。。。 -如果在那个作证之后, |
[1:01:31] | after that testimony, | 我接受了认罪交易, |
[1:01:32] | I’m guilty to the world– MARSHA: Are you still worried | -我等于是向全世界承认了我犯了罪。 -你还惦记着竞选州长的事? |
[1:01:34] | about becoming Governor? | -我等于是向全世界承认了我犯了罪。 -你还惦记着竞选州长的事? |
[1:01:35] | You can’t be serious. KEITH: That woman doesn’t know | -你不是当真的吧 -那个女人并不理解她所听到的。 |
[1:01:37] | what she heard. She can’t be sure– | 她不能确定。。。 |
[1:01:38] | Oh, don’t be an idiot | -噢,别当众犯傻了。你是有罪的。。。 -还是存在合理怀疑的。 |
[1:01:40] | There’s stillreasonable doubt. You are guilty– | -噢,别当众犯傻了。你是有罪的。。。 -还是存在合理怀疑的。 |
[1:01:41] | in everybody’s eyes– | -噢,别当众犯傻了。你是有罪的。。。 -还是存在合理怀疑的。 |
[1:01:42] | they are the– | 他们是。。。 |
[1:01:43] | Shut up! | 住嘴! |
[1:02:01] | All right, look. | 好了,听着。 |
[1:02:03] | There’s not going to be any plea offer | 检方在这种局面下不会提供任何认罪交易了。 |
[1:02:05] | from the prosecution at this point. | 检方在这种局面下不会提供任何认罪交易了。 |
[1:02:07] | Our only course is to proceed | 我们唯一的办法就是继续以正当防卫进行辩护 |
[1:02:08] | with self-defense. | 我们唯一的办法就是继续以正当防卫进行辩护 |
[1:02:10] | We argue that the woman heard it wrong. | 我们辩称那个女人听错了。 |
[1:02:13] | It was a loud party, | 在那么嘈杂的聚会上, |
[1:02:14] | she had certain predispositions, | 她听不清楚,自然是倾向于按自己想听到的去理解。 |
[1:02:15] | and she heard what she wanted to hear. | 她听不清楚,自然是倾向于按自己想听到的去理解。 |
[1:02:19] | You will have to account | 你在你证词里得解释她认为她做听到的是什么。 |
[1:02:20] | for what she thinks she heard | 你在你的证词里得解释她认为她做听到的是什么。 |
[1:02:21] | in your testimony. | 你在你的证词里得解释她认为她做听到的是什么。 |
[1:02:23] | Your testimony stays the same. | 你的证词要保持一致。 |
[1:02:24] | You will go up first | 你会先出庭作证, |
[1:02:26] | to describe your father’s calm, | 描述你的父亲当晚回到家的时候, |
[1:02:27] | pleasant demeanor as he came home that night. | 举止是平和愉悦的。 |
[1:02:30] | We tell the truth. | 我们据实陈述。 |
[1:02:32] | This is not over. | 还有希望。 |
[1:02:35] | It will be if we fall apart. | 我们自乱阵脚的话就真完了。 |
[1:02:39] | I’ll check with the clerk | 我去和书记员核实一下, |
[1:02:41] | to see when we go back. | 看看我们何时回到庭上。 |
[1:02:59] | Obviously, this was a devastating setback | 显然,对于被告方,这是一个毁灭性的挫折。 |
[1:03:01] | for the defense. | 显然,对于被告方,这是一个毁灭性的挫折。 |
[1:03:02] | If Senator Ellison, in fact, | 如果Ellison参议员实际上知道私通的事, |
[1:03:04] | knew of the affair, | 如果Ellison参议员实际上知道私通的事, |
[1:03:05] | he’s hard-pressed to convince the jury | 他很难说服陪审团相信, |
[1:03:07] | he thought his wife was under attack | 当他带着左轮手枪跑进去的时候, |
[1:03:09] | when he went running in with the revolver. | 他是以为他妻子是在受到侵害的。 |
[1:03:12] | You’ve been watching– | 你们已经看到了。。。 |
[1:03:12] | Just shut it off, would you, please? | 关了吧,拜托了 |
[1:03:14] | I know this is out there, | 我知道这有些不合常规, |
[1:03:16] | but is there any precedent set | 但有在审理后期把辩诉理由改成精神错乱的先例吗? |
[1:03:17] | for changing the plea to insanity | 但有在审理后期把辩诉理由改成精神错乱的先例吗? |
[1:03:19] | this late in the game? | 但有在审理后期把辩诉理由改成精神错乱的先例吗? |
[1:03:20] | No. | 不行。 |
[1:03:21] | The judge would never allow it. | 法官肯定不会准许的。 |
[1:03:25] | Where’s Jimmy? | Jimmy在哪儿? |
[1:03:26] | Conference room. | 会议室。 |
[1:03:28] | Ellenor. | |
[1:03:35] | I know you’re dejected, | 我知道你很沮丧, |
[1:03:37] | but the jury cannot see | 但我现在所看到的这副表情, |
[1:03:38] | the face I’m looking at right now. | 不能让陪审团看到。 |
[1:03:41] | Remember his press conference? | 还记得他的新闻发布会吗? |
[1:03:43] | If he’s great on the stand, | 如果他在证人席上表现得很好, |
[1:03:45] | who knows? | 天知道会有什么结果 |
[1:03:49] | One more thing this may not be the time, | 还有一件事,可能不是说的时候, |
[1:03:50] | but I’m going to say it anyway. | 但我还是想说。 |
[1:03:51] | I don’t ever, | 我永远也不希望 |
[1:03:53] | ever want to hear you attack | 再听到你当着当事人的面斥责一个同事。 |
[1:03:55] | a member of this law firm | 再听到你当着当事人的面斥责一个同事。 |
[1:03:56] | in front of a client again. | 再听到你当着当事人的面斥责一个同事。 |
[1:03:58] | Never mind the disrespect to Jimmy, | 不要在意对Jimmy的失礼, |
[1:04:00] | we don’t need to be inviting malpractice claims. | 我们不必招致玩忽职守的声索。 |
[1:04:18] | Mistakes happen, Jimmy. | Jimmy,错误已经发生了。 |
[1:04:20] | No point in dwelling on it, | 别再纠结了。 |
[1:04:22] | other than to make sure it doesn’t happen again. | 确保下次不再犯错就行了。 |
[1:04:47] | Will your client be making any statement? | 你的当事人要发表什么声明吗? |
[1:05:00] | Stay back. Stay back. | 退后,退后。 |
[1:05:02] | We have an extremely difficult decision here. | 我们现在要做一个非常困难的决定。 |
[1:05:05] | We need you to listen to us | 我们要你仔细听好,并且对此深思熟虑。 |
[1:05:07] | and consider this carefully. | 我们要你仔细听好,并且对此深思熟虑。 |
[1:05:11] | Your fate… | 你的命运。。。 |
[1:05:13] | is obviously in your hands now. | 显然是掌握在你自己手里。 |
[1:05:16] | For your testimony, | 至于你的证词, |
[1:05:17] | you can maintain self-defense. | 你可以坚持是正当防卫。 |
[1:05:20] | For anybody else, I would consider that ludicrous, | 但对于其他所有人,我觉得那很荒唐, |
[1:05:23] | but… | 然而。。。 |
[1:05:25] | you have a gift | 当说谈到要说服人的时候,你是有天赋的。 |
[1:05:27] | when it comes to persuasion. | 当说谈到要说服人的时候,你是有天赋的。 |
[1:05:29] | Personally, I think | 我个人认为, |
[1:05:30] | it’s rabbit out of the hat time, | 现在是要出奇招儿的时候了, |
[1:05:34] | but juries are loath | 有些时候陪审团不希望给名人定罪。 |
[1:05:35] | to convict celebrities sometimes. | 有些时候陪审团不希望给名人定罪。 |
[1:05:39] | Now… | 现在。。。 |
[1:05:41] | there is an alternative. | 还有一种选择 |
[1:05:43] | Which is? | 什么选择? |
[1:05:44] | you could do a big mea culpa. | 你可以坦承自己的罪责。 |
[1:05:48] | Admit that you acted in a fit of rage. | 承认你的行为是出于愤怒。 |
[1:05:51] | And what would be the purpose of that? | 这样做的目的是什么? |
[1:05:53] | I think the jury might believe it, | 我认为陪审团也许会相信你, |
[1:05:54] | and you’d have a shot at manslaughter. | 而你会有机会得到过失杀人的定罪。 |
[1:05:56] | If you stick to a story the jury perceives to be a lie, | 如果你坚持一个陪审团认为是谎言的说法, |
[1:05:58] | our fear is they would hit you with murder one. | 我们担心他们会用一级谋杀罪惩罚你。 |
[1:06:01] | The difference is six years | 这两者的区别是, |
[1:06:04] | versus life without parole. | 六年刑期和不允许保释的终身监禁。 |
[1:06:09] | Those are not choices, Ellenor. | 这些都不再选择范围内,Ellenor。 |
[1:06:11] | You didn’t leave us with many, Keith. | 你没有让我们给你更多选择的余地,Keith |
[1:06:14] | You people have pulled miracles before. | 你们这些人以前创造过奇迹。 |
[1:06:17] | Not when– KEITH: I can’t go | -但不是在。。。 -我不能在公众面前说我撒谎了 |
[1:06:19] | before the public and say I lied. | -但不是在。。。 -我不能在公众面前说我撒谎了 |
[1:06:22] | Keith… | |
[1:06:23] | we’re not talking about re-election anymore. | 我们不要再谈什么竞选连任了。 |
[1:06:27] | We’re talking– I want my miracle. | -我们谈的是。。。 -我要得到属于我的奇迹。 |
[1:06:38] | It’s not coming, Keith. | 不会有了,Keith。 |
[1:06:46] | Now tell us what you want to do. | 现在告诉我们你到底想怎么样吧。 |
[1:06:54] | I’m gonna take the stand, | 我要出庭作证, |
[1:06:57] | and I’m gonna testify | 我要作证说我是正当防卫。 |
[1:06:58] | that I acted in self-defense. | 我要作证说我是正当防卫。 |
[1:07:01] | You’re going to go to prison. | 你会进监狱的。 |
[1:07:03] | No, I’m not. | 不,我不会的。 |
[1:07:05] | No, I’m not. | 我不会的。 |
[1:07:51] | You remember how we used to talk Shakespeare, | 你还记得我们以前是怎么谈论莎士比亚的吗? |
[1:07:54] | who our favorite tragic heroes were? | 我们最喜欢的悲情英雄是谁? |
[1:07:58] | You’re about to tell me I’ve become | 你是打算跟我说我已经变成你最喜欢的悲情英雄吧。 |
[1:08:00] | your favorite tragic hero. | 你是打算跟我说我已经变成你最喜欢的悲情英雄吧。 |
[1:08:02] | Our friendship kind of waned a little, Keith. | Keith,我们的友情有点冷淡了。 |
[1:08:07] | I became a blight, | 我变成了一个祸害, |
[1:08:09] | the unseemly defense attorney | 是一个专为强奸犯或杀人犯服务的 |
[1:08:10] | who represents rapists and murderers. | 遭受非议的辩护律师。 |
[1:08:13] | Not great photo ops | 和我扯在一起总不太好看。 |
[1:08:14] | to be seen hanging around with me. | 和我扯在一起总不太好看。 |
[1:08:16] | I got it, Keith. | 我明白这一点,Keith |
[1:08:17] | That isn’t true. | 不是这样的。 |
[1:08:19] | Yes, it is. | 是的,是这样的。 |
[1:08:23] | But, nevertheless, | 但尽管如此, |
[1:08:25] | you came to me, Keith. | 你还是来找了我,Keith。 |
[1:08:27] | Because for somebody charged with murder, | 因为针对谋杀指控, |
[1:08:29] | there is no better friend in the world | 这世上没有比我和我的律师事务所更好的了。 |
[1:08:32] | to have than me | 这世上没有比我和我的律师事务所更好的了。 |
[1:08:33] | and my firm. | 这世上没有比我和我的律师事务所更好的了。 |
[1:08:37] | You need to listen | 你需要听从你雇佣的专家的意见。 |
[1:08:38] | to the expertise you hired. | 你需要听从你雇佣的专家的意见。 |
[1:08:42] | If you stick with self-defense, | 如果你坚持正当防卫的说法, |
[1:08:45] | it is my belief… | 我坚信。。。 |
[1:08:47] | you will lose. | 你会输的。 |
[1:08:50] | If I tell them | Ellenor,如果我告诉他们我撒谎了, |
[1:08:52] | I lied, Ellenor, | Ellenor,如果我告诉他们我撒谎了, |
[1:08:55] | everything I worked for, it’s over. | 我为之奋斗的一切就荡然无存了。 |
[1:08:57] | Keith, you have a daughter you love, | Keith,你有一个你心爱的女儿,还有妻子。。。 |
[1:09:00] | Who will leave me | 审判一结束她就会弃我而去的。 |
[1:09:02] | as soon as the trial ends. | 审判一结束她就会弃我而去的。 |
[1:09:03] | We both know that. | 我们都明白的。 |
[1:09:04] | And she’ll try to take Allison with her. | 而且她会争取得到Allison监护权。 |
[1:09:08] | I can’t win this. | 这案子我赢不了的。 |
[1:09:12] | Yes, you can. | 你可以的。 |
[1:09:16] | All we need is one juror. | 我们只需要说服一个陪审员。 |
[1:09:22] | People love me, Ellenor. | 公众爱戴我的,Ellenor。 |
[1:09:26] | They love me. | 他们爱戴我。 |
[1:09:35] | Ms. Frutt, what’s your new plan– | Frutt女士,你的新计划是什么。。。 |
[1:09:36] | I’ve got no comment. | 无可奉告。 |
[1:09:38] | Excuse me! | 你干什么! |
[1:09:41] | I’ve got no comment. | 无可奉告。 |
[1:09:45] | Get away from me! | 离我远点! |
[1:09:50] | Come on. Keep it moving. | 走吧,快点走。 |
[1:09:51] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧。 |
[1:09:54] | What happened? | 怎么样了? |
[1:09:55] | He’s digging in. | 他固执己见。 |
[1:09:57] | (Sighs) Okay. | 那好吧。 |
[1:09:59] | We call Allison, | 我们传唤Allison出庭作证。 |
[1:10:00] | up and down, | 我们传唤Allison出庭作证。 |
[1:10:01] | and then we call Marsha. | 然后我们传唤玛莎。 |
[1:10:03] | Are you okay to do this? | 你能行吧? |
[1:10:04] | I’m fine. | 没问题。 |
[1:10:07] | Ellenor, | |
[1:10:08] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉。 |
[1:10:09] | Jimmy, it’s not your fault. | Jimmy,不是你的错。 |
[1:10:14] | Come on, we got to get in. | 来吧,我们得进去了。 |
[1:10:18] | How would you describe your relationship with your dad? | 你认为你和你父亲的关系如何? |
[1:10:22] | Extremely close. | 非常亲近。 |
[1:10:23] | Extremely close. | 非常亲近。 |
[1:10:26] | Were you aware of any marital problems | 你意识到他和你妈妈之间存在婚姻问题吗? |
[1:10:28] | between him and your mom? | 你意识到他和你妈妈之间存在婚姻问题吗? |
[1:10:29] | They had fights. | 他们吵架了。 |
[1:10:31] | They would have difficult times, | 他们可能是在困难的时期, |
[1:10:32] | and things would improve. | 但会好转的。 |
[1:10:34] | Was that difficult on you? | 这对你来说很别扭吧? |
[1:10:37] | Sometimes. | 有时候是。 |
[1:10:38] | Did you ever talk about it with your father? | 你可曾和你父亲谈过此事? |
[1:10:40] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[1:10:42] | Did he ever talk about what he thought | 他谈起过他认为他和你妈妈之间的问题是什么吗? |
[1:10:45] | were the problems between your mother and him? | 他谈起过他认为他和你妈妈之间的问题是什么吗? |
[1:10:48] | Yes. Did he ever reveal | -谈过。 -他可曾透漏出 |
[1:10:50] | an awareness to you about your mother’s affair | 他知道你妈妈和McNoun先生的私情吗? |
[1:10:52] | with Mr. McNoun? | 他知道你妈妈和McNoun先生的私情吗? |
[1:10:54] | Never. | 从来没有。 |
[1:10:54] | Now, Allison, | 那么,Allison, |
[1:10:56] | given your relationship with your father, | 基于你和你父亲的关系, |
[1:10:58] | do you think he would’ve told you about this affair? | 你认为他本会告诉你这件事吗? |
[1:11:01] | I do. | 我认为会的。 |
[1:11:02] | Do you have an opinion | 至于他是否知道这件事,你的看法是什么? |
[1:11:04] | as to whether he knew about this affair? | 至于他是否知道这件事,你的看法是什么? |
[1:11:07] | My opinion is that he did not. | 我认为他不知道私通的事。 |
[1:11:10] | Calling your attention | 注意回想一下枪击发生的当晚, |
[1:11:11] | to the night of the shooting, | 注意回想一下枪击发生的当晚, |
[1:11:12] | could you please tell us | 可以请你告诉我们以你的角度看发生了什么吗? |
[1:11:14] | what happened from your perspective? | 可以请你告诉我们以你的角度看发生了什么吗? |
[1:11:17] | Well… | 好的。。。 |
[1:11:20] | the movie we’d gone to see was sold out, | 我们想去看的电影票卖完了, |
[1:11:23] | so we came back home. | 于是我们就回家了。 |
[1:11:26] | We came into the house. | 我们回到家里。 |
[1:11:28] | Dad went to the family room, | 我爸爸去了客厅, |
[1:11:30] | I headed upstairs. | 我上楼去了。 |
[1:11:33] | And that’s when I heard them. | 这时候我听到了他们的声音。 |
[1:11:35] | Heard who? | 听到谁的声音? |
[1:11:37] | My mother… | 我妈妈。。。 |
[1:11:39] | and Mr. McNoun. | 和McNoun先生的声音。 |
[1:11:42] | You heard them? | 你听到了他们的声音? |
[1:11:44] | They were in her bed | 他们在她的床上, |
[1:11:47] | doing what they usually did | 干那些我和我爸爸不在家时他们常干的事。 |
[1:11:48] | when dad and I were out of the house. | 干那些我和我爸爸不在家时他们常干的事。 |
[1:11:51] | Wait a second. You knew… | 等一下,你知道。。。 |
[1:11:53] | it was Mr. McNoun? | 那是McNoun先生? |
[1:11:54] | My father didn’t know about the affair, | 我父亲不知道这些事, |
[1:11:57] | but I certainly did. | 但我自然知道。 |
[1:12:00] | Well, when you heard them that night, | 那么,你在当晚听到他们的声音时, |
[1:12:03] | you didn’t tell your father? | 你没有告诉你父亲吗? |
[1:12:05] | No. | 没有。 |
[1:12:06] | You just went back to your room? | 你只是回到自己的房间了? |
[1:12:08] | Eventually. | 最后是。 |
[1:12:11] | Eventually? | 最后是? |
[1:12:13] | First, I got the gun, | 首先,我去拿了枪, |
[1:12:14] | and I shot Mr. McNoun. | 然后我开枪打了McNoun先生。 |
[1:12:20] | Your Honor. | 法官大人。 |
[1:12:21] | Chambers! | 到后庭去! |
[1:12:28] | I had no idea she was gonna say that. | 我不知道她要这么说。 |
[1:12:30] | None of us did. I don’t believe it for a second. | -我们谁都不知道。 -我压根儿也不信。 |
[1:12:33] | Let me talk here. | 让我来说吧。 |
[1:12:34] | Did she ever suggest to you | 她有没有向你暗示过是她开的枪? |
[1:12:36] | she was the shooter? | 她有没有向你暗示过是她开的枪? |
[1:12:37] | No. LOWE: She just lied | -没有 -她就是为了让他父亲脱罪而撒谎。 |
[1:12:38] | to get her father off. | -她就是为了让他父亲脱罪而撒谎。 |
[1:12:39] | Mr. Lowe,let me conduct this session, please. | Lowe先生,让我来主持这次会议。 |
[1:12:42] | Your Honor, | 法官大人, |
[1:12:43] | none of us saw this coming. | 我们谁也没有看出来会这样。 |
[1:12:44] | She previously had given a statement | 她先前做出的陈述是 |
[1:12:46] | that she went to her room | 她回到她的房间听见了枪声。 |
[1:12:47] | and she heard the shots. | 她回到她的房间听见了枪声。 |
[1:12:49] | This was blatant perjury. | 这是明目张胆的做伪证。 |
[1:12:50] | Maybe it was. | 也许是。 |
[1:12:52] | But your only remedy for this trial | 但你对这次审判唯一的补救办法 |
[1:12:54] | is rigorous cross, Ms. Gamble. | 是进行缜密的交叉盘问,Gamble女士。 |
[1:12:56] | What else can we do? | 我们还能怎么办? |
[1:12:57] | I’ll make a deal with her right now. | 我会马上和她达成协议。 |
[1:12:59] | I’ll drop all perjury charges | 我放弃所有对其的伪证指控 |
[1:13:01] | in exchange for admitting her lie. | 换取她承认她撒了谎。 |
[1:13:02] | She’s got an out. | 让她有一条出路。 |
[1:13:03] | Well, even if she were to agree to that, | 那好,即使她同意这样做, |
[1:13:05] | I’m not sure it’s in the Senator’s interest. | 我可不确定这是否符合参议员的利益。 |
[1:13:07] | Which is why you shouldn’t be representing | 这就是为什么你不应该 |
[1:13:09] | the daughter as well as– FI don’t disagree | -也做他女儿代理律师的原因。 -此时此刻,我也同意这个看法, |
[1:13:10] | with that, either, at this point, | 此时此刻,我也同意这个看法, |
[1:13:12] | but the fact is, I am, | 但实际情况是,我已经是了。 |
[1:13:13] | and we have a situation. | 而且我们面对一个棘手的情况。 |
[1:13:15] | The situation is, | 你面对的情况就是, |
[1:13:16] | you have an ethical obligation | 你有道德义务接受给你当事人的提议。 |
[1:13:17] | to take the offer to your client. | 你有道德义务接受给你当事人的提议。 |
[1:13:18] | We drop the perjury in exchange | 我们放弃伪证指控以换取她撤回陈述。 |
[1:13:20] | for her recanting. | 我们放弃伪证指控以换取她撤回陈述。 |
[1:13:21] | Otherwise, she’s gonna be taken | 否则,她将被带出法庭并拘押。 |
[1:13:22] | from that courtroom into custody. | 否则,她将被带出法庭并拘押。 |
[1:13:24] | Not in front of the jury, she’s not. | 这不能当着陪审团的面进行。 |
[1:13:25] | There’s no statutory minimum, Bobby. | Bobby,不存在最低法定量刑标准, |
[1:13:27] | She could get 20 years. That’s enough. | -她可能会被判20年刑期。 -够了。 |
[1:13:30] | You have an offer to take to the girl. | 你们给这个女孩一个提议。 |
[1:13:32] | If she refuses, | 如果她拒绝了, |
[1:13:33] | your recourse is to try to impeach her on the stand, | 你的诉诸就是在证人席上质询她, |
[1:13:35] | and then arrest her post-verdict. | 判决出来之后将其逮捕。 |
[1:13:38] | You, you, and you, | 你,你,还有你, |
[1:13:40] | I want your bar cards by the end of the day. | 今天之内把你们的律师从业执照交给我。 |
[1:13:43] | Excuse me? I’ll hold them in escrow. | -你说什么? -我来保管这些从业执照。 |
[1:13:45] | If it turns out what just happened in there | 如果最后发现刚才发生的事 |
[1:13:47] | was one of those stunts | 是那些使你们这些人声名狼藉的伎俩中的一个的话, |
[1:13:49] | you people have become infamous for, | 是那些使你们这些人声名狼藉的伎俩中的一个的话, |
[1:13:51] | you will lose them forever. | 你们会永远失去从业执照的。 |
[1:13:53] | That’s my promise. | 我说到做到。 |
[1:14:01] | You have just committed a very serious offense. | 你刚刚犯下了一个非常严重的罪行。 |
[1:14:04] | What? | 你指什么? |
[1:14:05] | Telling the truth under oath? | 宣誓后说出真话? |
[1:14:06] | Oh, that’s the truth? | 噢,那是真话吗? |
[1:14:07] | That’s– Ellenor. -Ellenor | -那是真话 |
[1:14:12] | I’m willing to plead guilty. | 我愿意认罪。 |
[1:14:15] | You wanna plead guilty now? | 你现在愿意认罪了? |
[1:14:17] | Make the deal. | 达成交易吧。 |
[1:14:20] | Senator, | 参议员先生, |
[1:14:21] | right now you actually have a shot at acquittal– | 现在你实际上是有机会被宣判无罪的。。。 |
[1:14:23] | Just do it. | 只管去做吧。 |
[1:14:25] | I’m not gonna let my daughter | 我不会让我的女儿代人受过的。。。 |
[1:14:26] | take the fall– Can I talk? | 我可以说几句吧? |
[1:14:28] | No. | 不行。 |
[1:14:29] | I think you’ve talked enough | 我觉得你今天说得够多的了,Allison。 |
[1:14:30] | for one day, Allison. | 我觉得你今天说得够多的了,Allison。 |
[1:14:31] | Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, | 如果我说得有错,你们可以纠正, |
[1:14:35] | but I probably just gave you reasonable doubt, | 我可能刚给你提供了合理怀疑。 |
[1:14:37] | so I– You also confessed, Allison. | -所以我。。。 -你这也是供述罪行,Allison。 |
[1:14:40] | They might try you for murder. | 他们可能会以谋杀罪来审判你。 |
[1:14:41] | And I’ll just say | 那我就说我的供述是为了保护我爸爸而撒的谎。 |
[1:14:43] | my confession was a lie to save my father. | 那我就说我的供述是为了保护我爸爸而撒的谎。 |
[1:14:46] | If he’s acquitted, they can’t try him again. | 如果他被判无罪了,他们无法再起诉他。 |
[1:14:48] | He may be safe, | 他或许是安全了, |
[1:14:49] | but it’s a pretty big risk for you. | 但你会有很大的风险。 |
[1:14:51] | And even if you beat murder, that gets you on perjury– | 而且即使你躲过了谋杀罪,你会被定为伪证罪。。。 |
[1:14:53] | A 14-year-old girl | 一个十四岁的女孩为了挽救她的爸爸。 |
[1:14:54] | trying to save her daddy. | 一个十四岁的女孩为了挽救她的爸爸。 |
[1:14:57] | Something tells me I wouldn’t go to jail | 我猜我也不会在监狱里呆多久。 |
[1:14:59] | for too long. | 我猜我也不会在监狱里呆多久。 |
[1:15:00] | Don’t count on it. | 别指望了。 |
[1:15:07] | Are you really so sure | Donnell先生,你真的确信我做了伪证吗? |
[1:15:09] | I committed perjury, Mr. Donnell? | Donnell先生,你真的确信我做了伪证吗? |
[1:15:20] | You’re both covering for her. | 你们俩都在为她打掩护吧。 |
[1:15:22] | I want to plead guilty. | 我想要达成认罪交易。 |
[1:15:24] | Let’s take a step back. | 让我们退后一步想想。 |
[1:15:26] | I’m the client here. | 我才是当事人。 |
[1:15:28] | I want to plead guilty, | 我想要认罪交易, |
[1:15:30] | conditioned… | 条件是。。。 |
[1:15:32] | on nothing happens to Allison. | Allison不会有事。 |
[1:15:35] | And I get to hold a press conference, | 而且我要在被收押前开个记者招待会。 |
[1:15:36] | not in custody. | 而且我要在被收押前开个记者招待会。 |
[1:15:38] | Those are my terms. | 这就是我的条件。 |
[1:15:40] | Take it to the D. A. | 提给地区检察官吧。 |
[1:15:43] | Bobby? | |
[1:15:45] | Can you take Allison and Marsha | 你能带Allison和Marsha出去一下吗? |
[1:15:46] | out the back door? | 你能带Allison和Marsha出去一下吗? |
[1:15:47] | I’d like to talk to Keith. | 我要和Keith谈谈。 |
[1:15:48] | Why? FRUTT: I just… | -为什么? -我就是。。。 |
[1:15:51] | need a second. | 需要一小会儿。 |
[1:15:53] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧。 |
[1:16:11] | If there is anything you are more committed to | 对你来说,如果有什么事比你的政治生涯还重要的话, |
[1:16:14] | than your political career, | 对你来说,如果有什么事比你的政治生涯还重要的话, |
[1:16:15] | it is your daughter. | 那就是你的女儿。 |
[1:16:20] | Is she taking the rap for you | 到底是她为了你承担刑事责任, |
[1:16:24] | or have you been taking the fall for her all along? | 还是你至始至终在代她受过? |
[1:16:27] | I instructed you | 我指示过你,去达成认罪协议吧。 |
[1:16:29] | to plead guilty. | 我指示过你,去达成认罪协议吧。 |
[1:16:30] | Are you gonna answer my question? | 你打算回答我的问题吗? |
[1:16:36] | Make the deal. | 去达成认罪协议吧 |
[1:16:45] | Manslaughter? | 过失杀人? |
[1:16:46] | And no charges brought | 条件是不对他的女儿提起任何指控。 |
[1:16:47] | against the daughter on anything. | 条件是不对他的女儿提起任何指控。 |
[1:16:49] | Plus, he gets to hold a press conference | 还有,他要在被收押前举行一次记者招待会。 |
[1:16:50] | before you take him off. GAMBLE: Excuse me? | -还有,他要在被收押前举行一次记者招待会。 -你说什么? |
[1:16:52] | He wants to make a statement. | 他想发表一个声明。 |
[1:16:54] | The question isn’t do you think I’m an idiot, | 我不是怀疑你把我们当成白痴了, |
[1:16:56] | it’s how big of an idiot? Helen… -Helen。。。 | -我是怀疑你把我们当成大白痴了 |
[1:16:58] | Bobby, this was your plan all along. | Bobby,这是你一开始就计划好的。 |
[1:17:00] | It was not. GAMBLE: If you think | -布什的。 -如果你认为 |
[1:17:01] | I’ll allow you to use perjury | 我会允许你利用伪证来帮助你讨价还价的话。。。 |
[1:17:03] | to bolster your bargaining position– | 我会允许你利用伪证来帮助你讨价还价的话。。。 |
[1:17:04] | That was not our plan, | 我们没有这么计划, |
[1:17:06] | and I’m offended by your suggestion. | 而且我对你的暗示感到十分不快。 |
[1:17:08] | Get out. Helen– -Helen。。。 | -滚出去吧 |
[1:17:09] | I will not entertain | 我没有兴趣讨论什么了,Bobby。 |
[1:17:11] | any discussion, Bobby. | 我没有兴趣讨论什么了,Bobby。 |
[1:17:12] | Helen… | |
[1:17:14] | Can you wait outside for a second? | 你们可以出去等一会儿吗? |
[1:17:21] | I don’t like this any more than you do, | 我比你还不喜欢这个提议, |
[1:17:23] | but the fact is, they’ve got reasonable doubt. | 但现实情况是,他们得到了合理怀疑。 |
[1:17:25] | When I get done crossing her, | 我去对她交叉盘问后, |
[1:17:26] | there’s not– LOWE: No. We have | -就不会有了。。。 -不行,我们没有目击证人, |
[1:17:27] | no eyewitnesses, | 我们没有目击证人, |
[1:17:28] | another person taking credit for the crime, | 另一个人承担了罪行, |
[1:17:30] | a very charismatic and persuasive defendant, | 加之被告非常有感召力和令人信服, |
[1:17:34] | we’re in the crapper. | 我们陷入了窘境。 |
[1:17:35] | And right now you’re blinded by anger. | 而此刻你是因愤怒而失去清晰的判断力。 |
[1:17:37] | It sucks. No question. | 这事太烂了,这毫无疑问。 |
[1:17:40] | We’re having our hand forced by perjury, | 我们被伪证限制住了手脚 |
[1:17:42] | but the likelihood is, | 但十有八九,这就是过失杀人。 |
[1:17:43] | is that this was manslaughter. | 但十有八九,这就是过失杀人。 |
[1:17:46] | He flipped out, and he shot the guy, | 他勃然大怒,开枪打了那家伙, |
[1:17:47] | and we would be crazy | 我们放弃这个认罪交易是不理智的。 |
[1:17:49] | to walk away from this deal. | 我们放弃这个认罪交易是不理智的。 |
[1:17:51] | We can’t risk a straight acquittal. | 我们不能冒无罪开释的风险。 |
[1:17:53] | We just can’t. | 真的不能。 |
[1:17:55] | I’m gonna accept it. | 我打算接受。 |
[1:18:07] | It’s absolute madness | 走廊里已经乱成一团了。 |
[1:18:08] | in the corridor. | 走廊里已经乱成一团了。 |
[1:18:09] | The unconfirmed reports are, | 未经证实的消息是,已经达成了认罪交易。 |
[1:18:11] | a plea has been reached. | 未经证实的消息是,已经达成了认罪交易。 |
[1:18:12] | Do we know what it is? Nobody calls. | -我们怎么不知道? -没人打电话来。 |
[1:18:15] | I’m informed now they’re in court, | 我现在被告知他们已经出庭了, |
[1:18:16] | and Judge Finkel is, in fact, | 提交给Finkel法官一份认罪协议, |
[1:18:18] | being presented with a plea, | 提交给Finkel法官一份认罪协议, |
[1:18:20] | which I’m now being told | 据我现在所知是过失杀人罪。 |
[1:18:21] | is a manslaughter conviction. | 据我现在所知是过失杀人罪。 |
[1:18:34] | Defendant will please rise. | 请被告起立。 |
[1:18:38] | You understand, Mr. Ellison, | Ellison先生, |
[1:18:39] | that you are pleading guilty to a homicide? | 你明白你是在针对一项杀人罪指控承认有罪吗? |
[1:18:42] | Yes. FINKEL: And by pleading guilty | -我明白 -对此项过失杀人罪一经认罪, |
[1:18:44] | to manslaughter you are agreeing | -我明白 -对此项过失杀人罪一经认罪, |
[1:18:46] | not to appeal | 你不能对此进行上诉, |
[1:18:47] | and that you will serve a sentence | 且将在州监狱服刑至少六年。 |
[1:18:49] | not less than six years in state prison? | 且将在州监狱服刑至少六年。 |
[1:18:52] | Yes, Your Honor. | 明白,法官大人。 |
[1:18:53] | Counsel, you are recommending | 律师,你向你的当事人解释了本协议, |
[1:18:54] | this agreement to your client. | 律师,你向你的当事人解释了本协议, |
[1:18:56] | Your client understands the terms | 你的当事人是否理解并接受其各项条款? |
[1:18:58] | and accepts them? | 你的当事人是否理解并接受其各项条款? |
[1:18:59] | Yes, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人。 |
[1:19:00] | Plea is accepted. | 认罪协议被认可。 |
[1:19:02] | So ordered by the court. | 由法庭备案。 |
[1:19:04] | Bailiff, take the defendant into custody. | 法警,将被告予以收押。 |
[1:19:06] | Your Honor, pursuant to the plea, | 法官大人,根据协议, |
[1:19:08] | my client gets to make a statement. | 我的当事人要发表一个声明。 |
[1:19:09] | The area is set up in the corridor. | 地点安排在法庭的走廊上。 |
[1:19:11] | Security will escort the defendant to the microphones | 警卫会护送被告去发表声明,然后收押。 |
[1:19:14] | and then into custody. | 警卫会护送被告去发表声明,然后收押。 |
[1:19:16] | We are adjourned. | 休庭。 |
[1:19:18] | (gavel bangs) | |
[1:19:22] | Keith, I’ve got to know. | Keith,我得弄明白。 |
[1:19:24] | It’s all over now, so just tell me. | 现在一切都结束了,告诉我吧。 |
[1:19:30] | I have to make my statement. | 我要去发表声明了。 |
[1:19:40] | We are not at all | 我们对这个结果并不满意。 |
[1:19:42] | satisfied with this outcome. | 我们对这个结果并不满意。 |
[1:19:43] | We believe this was a second degree murder, | 我们认为这是二级谋杀,或许够得上一级谋杀, |
[1:19:46] | possibly first. | 我们认为这是二级谋杀,或许够得上一级谋杀, |
[1:19:47] | We accepted this plea | 我们接受这个认罪协议是因为 |
[1:19:48] | because we feared the perjury | 我们担心他女儿做的伪证 |
[1:19:50] | committed by the daughter | 我们担心他女儿做的伪证 |
[1:19:51] | could’ve severely compromised our case. | 可能会严重影响我们的案子。 |
[1:19:54] | This is a terrible day. | 这是糟糕的一天。 |
[1:19:56] | We just made the best deal we could. | 我们只是达成了我们能得到的最佳交易。 |
[1:20:06] | I would certainly agree with Ms. Gamble | 我当然同意Gamble女士的看法, |
[1:20:09] | that this is a terrible day. | 这是个糟糕的一天。 |
[1:20:12] | For whatever reason, | 不管出于什么原因, |
[1:20:13] | my daughter Allison, | 我的女儿Allison, |
[1:20:15] | in a misguided effort to protect her dad, | 为了保护她父亲而做出了错误的努力, |
[1:20:18] | tried to mislead the jury | 针对案发当晚的情况, |
[1:20:19] | as to what happened that night. | 试图误导陪审团。 |
[1:20:21] | What did, in fact, happen | 事实上,案发经过确实是我一再坚持的那样。 |
[1:20:23] | was exactly as I have maintained. | 事实上,案发经过确实是我一再坚持的那样。 |
[1:20:28] | I thought my wife Marsha | 我以为我的妻子Marsha遭受了攻击。 |
[1:20:30] | was under attack, | 我以为我的妻子Marsha遭受了攻击。 |
[1:20:32] | and I was in fear for her life. | 而我担心她的生命安全。 |
[1:20:34] | I only accepted this plea of manslaughter | 我接受这个认罪交易是因为我的良心不允许 |
[1:20:38] | because my conscience cannot permit | 我接受这个认罪交易是因为我的良心不允许 |
[1:20:40] | allowing my daughter | 让我的女儿因此行为而受到任何苛责。 |
[1:20:41] | to accept any culpability for this act. | 让我的女儿因此行为而受到任何苛责。 |
[1:20:44] | Did I make a mistake? | 我犯了错误吗? |
[1:20:45] | Absolutely… FRUTT: That true, Marsha? | -肯定是的。。。 -是那样的吗,Marsha? |
[1:20:51] | You think you’re helping Allison? | 你觉得你在帮助Allison吗? |
[1:20:54] | She’s gonna end up as another teenage suicide, | 你心知肚明,她早晚会落得一个青少年自杀者的下场。 |
[1:20:56] | and you know it. | 你心知肚明,她早晚会落得一个青少年自杀者的下场。 |
[1:20:58] | And if she is the shooter, | 如果是她开的枪, |
[1:21:00] | I am going to eventually prove it. | 我最终会证明这一点的。 |
[1:21:04] | You represent her. | 她由你代理。 |
[1:21:05] | As of now, | 从现在开始,我不代理她了。 |
[1:21:06] | I don’t. | 从现在开始,我不代理她了。 |
[1:21:07] | You’re her lawyer. | 你是她的律师。 |
[1:21:09] | Not anymore. | 不再是了。 |
[1:21:12] | You really think if Allison did this, | 你真的认为如果是艾莉森做的 |
[1:21:14] | I’d stay quiet? | 我会保持平静吗? |
[1:21:16] | I don’t know. | 我不知道。 |
[1:21:18] | You might not want her life ruined | 你不会想让她的生活因你和人私通而毁掉的。 |
[1:21:19] | because of an affair you had. | 你不会想让她的生活因你和人私通而毁掉的。 |
[1:21:22] | I never had an affair, Ellenor. | 我从没有和人私通,Ellenor |
[1:21:24] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? |
[1:21:27] | I say this now, client to attorney. | 我现在所说的,属于律师当事人保密特权范畴。 |
[1:21:32] | The reason I told you they’d never be able to prove | 我告诉过你他们永远也不能证明我和Jim McNoun私通, |
[1:21:34] | my affair with Jim McNoun | 我告诉过你他们永远也不能证明我和Jim McNoun私通, |
[1:21:35] | is because it never happened. | 原因是根本就没有这回事。 |
[1:21:38] | Jim McNoun had his affair | 和Jim McNoun有私情的是Keith。 |
[1:21:40] | with Keith. | 和Jim McNoun有私情的是Keith。 |
[1:21:43] | What? | 什么? |
[1:21:44] | My husband is gay, Ellenor. | 我丈夫是同性恋,Ellenor |
[1:21:48] | And you know the old saying | 你听到过一句老话说过, |
[1:21:49] | two things that’ll kill a political career | 有两件事可以毁掉政治生涯, |
[1:21:52] | being caught with a dead woman | 被抓到和一个死去的女人或一个活着的男孩在一起。 |
[1:21:54] | or a live boy. | 被抓到和一个死去的女人或者一个活着的男孩在一起。 |
[1:21:57] | Keith and Jim McNoun were in that bed that night. | 那天晚上是Keith和Jim McNoun在那张床上, |
[1:22:01] | That’s why they found no semen on me. | 这也就是为什么我身上找不到精液。 |
[1:22:04] | That’s why they found no powder burns on Keith. | 这也就是为什么他们在Keith身上找不到火药残留物。 |
[1:22:07] | And since Helen Gamble had to rule me out as a suspect | 因为Helen Gamble为了做性侵检验 |
[1:22:10] | in order to do the rape kit, | 不得不排除了我的嫌疑。 |
[1:22:12] | she couldn’t trace metal on my hands | 她无法对我的手进行微量金属测试和火药残留物检测 |
[1:22:14] | or test me for powder burns. | 她无法对我的手进行微量金属测试和火药残留物检测 |
[1:22:19] | You killed him? | 是你杀了他? |
[1:22:23] | That information is sealed up | 律师,这些信息因为律师当事人特权而不得泄露 |
[1:22:25] | in privilege, counselor. | 律师,这些信息因为律师当事人特权而不得泄露 |
[1:22:27] | There’s nothing you can do now | 你现在除了压在心底之外,什么也做不了。 |
[1:22:29] | but sit on it. | 你现在除了压在心底之外,什么也做不了。 |
[1:22:31] | So, at the party… | 那么,在那次聚会上。。。 |
[1:22:33] | I confronted Jim McNoun with the affair, | 我和Jim McNoun就私情这件事进行对质, |
[1:22:36] | and when he said he wanted to go public with it, | 而当他说要公布于众时, |
[1:22:40] | that’s when Keith was overheard saying | 也就是那时Keith被偷听到说他受不了羞辱那句话。 |
[1:22:42] | he wouldn’t stand to be humiliated. | 也就是那时Keith被偷听到说他受不了羞辱那句话。 |
[1:22:47] | You all were so close. | 你离真相如此之近。 |
[1:22:50] | Spouse comes home with daughter, | 夫妻中的一个带着女儿回家, |
[1:22:53] | finds spouse in bed with another man, | 发现另一个和一个男人在床上, |
[1:22:55] | snaps, shoots. | 精神失控,开枪射击。 |
[1:22:59] | You just had the wrong spouse in bed | 你只不过是弄错了哪一个在床上 |
[1:23:02] | and the wrong one with the gun. | 哪一个开的枪。 |
[1:23:05] | I made a mistake. | 我犯了一个错误。 |
[1:23:07] | I will now serve time for that mistake, | 我现在将为那个错误而服刑, |
[1:23:11] | but I will come out of this stronger. | 但我会变得更加坚强。 |
[1:23:13] | My commitment to the Commonwealth | 我为马萨诸塞州献身的决心永远也不会减弱。 |
[1:23:16] | of Massachusetts shall never wane. | 我为马萨诸塞州献身的决心永远也不会减弱。 |
[1:23:19] | I’ll pay my debt | 我会弥补对我发誓要为之而战 为之服务的社会所亏欠的一切。 |
[1:23:21] | to the society I vowed to fight for, | 我会弥补对我发誓要为之而战 为之服务的社会所亏欠的一切。 |
[1:23:24] | vowed to serve, | 我会弥补对我发誓要为之而战 为之服务的社会所亏欠的一切。 |
[1:23:26] | and I’ll be back to serve it. | 我会回来为之效力的。 |
[1:23:29] | I felt your hearts with me | 在审判期间,我感到我们心心相印, |
[1:23:31] | during this trying time, | 在审判期间,我感到我们心心相印, |
[1:23:33] | and I won’t forget your unflinching support. | 我不会忘记你们坚定不移的支持。 |
[1:23:37] | And my heart… | 我的心。。。 |
[1:23:39] | will stay with you. | 会和你们在一起。。。 |
[1:23:43] | And I will be back. | 我会回来的。 |
[1:24:01] | (music playing) | |
[1:24:27] | WOMAN: You stinker! |