时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:28] | You’re number 218? | 你是218号吧? |
[00:30] | Yes. I thought I was meeting Freddy. | 是的,我想我要见的是Freddy, |
[00:33] | Well, Freddy works for me, but I gave him the day off. | 呃,Freddy为我工作,我给他放了一天假。 |
[00:35] | I’m Sid Herman. | 我是Sid Herman |
[00:38] | Jimmy. | 我是Jimmy |
[00:41] | Well, my condolences, Jimmy. | 呃,节哀吧,Jimmy |
[00:46] | What the Steelers did to you ought to be against the law — | 钢人队(橄榄球)对你做的事应该是太出格了 |
[00:48] | Cruel and unusual punishment. You see the game? | 无情且罕见的惩罚啊,你看比赛了吗? |
[00:52] | Of course, you saw it. | 当然了,你肯定看了 |
[00:55] | $5,000 wager — you got a pulse, you’re going to watch the game. | 下注5000美元。。。只要能喘气,你就会看比赛的。 |
[00:58] | That interception killed me. | 那次断球毁了我。 |
[01:00] | That’s why I don’t bet. | 那就是为什么我不去赌。 |
[01:03] | I have a good portion of the money. | 我凑够了大部分的钱。 |
[01:04] | See, I would’ve gone with the Steelers, too. | 看吧,我也会被钢人队输光的。 |
[01:06] | What, are you kidding — getting 8 1/2? | 什么,你开玩笑吧。。。你凑齐了8500元? |
[01:08] | But now, oh, with the Steelers | 但是目前,哦,钢人队, |
[01:11] | and, uh, losers on the Falcons | 喔,输给了亚特兰大猎鹰队 |
[01:14] | and the Rams and the Bears and the Niners, | 还输给了克里夫兰公羊队,芝加哥小熊队, 还有旧金山49人队, |
[01:18] | plus, what you didn’t get to Freddy last week… | 再算上,你上周没有按期还钱给Freddy。。。 |
[01:20] | I have $7,000. | 我有7000元。 |
[01:22] | Which means you owe, what, 27 more? | 这就是说你欠了,超过27000元? |
[01:25] | Which I will have by the end of the week. | 欠的这些我会在这个周末还上。 |
[01:29] | You’re two weeks late now. | 你到现在拖了两个星期了。 |
[01:31] | I’m going to borrow some money from my retirement account, | 我打算从我的退休金帐户里借一些出来, |
[01:34] | but it takes a couple of days, | 但这需要几天时间, |
[01:35] | and I got a call in to a cousin of mine in Worcester. | 我还给我在Worcester的一个表亲打了电话, |
[01:38] | Guy owns, like, 12 parking lots — | 他有,差不多,十二个停车场。。。 |
[01:39] | I got another idea. | 我另外有个主意。 |
[01:43] | Okay…sure. | 那好。。。你说吧。 |
[01:46] | You’re a lawyer, right? | 你是个律师,对吧? |
[01:49] | Yes, I mean… Did I tell Freddy that? | 我是,我想。。。我跟Freddy说过吗? |
[01:53] | My proposal is this — you provide some legal services | 我的建议是。。。你提供一些法律服务来抵债。 |
[01:56] | and your debt goes away. | 我的建议是。。。你提供一些法律服务来抵债。 |
[02:02] | Well, what sort of, uh, legal services? | 那好吧,是些什么样的,呃,法律服务? |
[02:07] | My ex-wife is trying to rob me. | 我前妻想抢我的钱。 |
[02:11] | Will you be my lawyer, Jimmy? | 你愿意做我的律师吗,Jimmy? |
[03:06] | It’s decaf, Lucy. It’s not. | -这是脱咖啡因的吧,Lucy -不是 |
[03:07] | I can tell when it’s decaf. It’s regular. | -我能分辨出来这是的。 -就是一般的 |
[03:10] | You know, I find on trial days I don’t need caffeine. | 你知道吧,我觉得我上庭的日子不需要咖啡因。 |
[03:13] | Listen to you, the office coffee hog, telling me — | 瞧你说的,你喝咖啡像猪一样,还跟我说什么。。 |
[03:14] | What? | 你说什么? |
[03:15] | You might as well hook up an I. V., Rebecca. | 你还不如直接静脉注射呢,Rebecca |
[03:17] | I take my share, no more. | 我再也不喝我那份儿了。 |
[03:20] | Lindsay, that was Martin Jenks’ mother. | Lindsay,是Martin Jenks的母亲的电话。 |
[03:22] | She’s still in Hartford. | 她还在Hartford |
[03:25] | Wait. Excuse me? | 等下,你说什么? |
[03:26] | She couldn’t get the day off. | 她请不了假。 |
[03:27] | Her son goes on trial for attempted murder. | 她儿子因谋杀罪受审。 |
[03:29] | She can’t get the day off? | 她居然请不了假? |
[03:30] | I thought you were going to plead. | 我以为你会协议认罪的。 |
[03:31] | He wouldn’t let me. | 他不会让我这么做的。 |
[03:32] | Don’t tell me — he’s innocent. | -别跟我说。。。 -他是无罪的。 |
[03:35] | He is. | 他就是无罪的。 |
[03:40] | Morning. | 早上好。 |
[03:41] | Still morning? | 还早上呢? |
[03:43] | Sorry I’m late. That, uh, personal matter of mine | 对不起,我迟到了。唔,处理点私事 |
[03:46] | went a little longer than I thought. | 比我想的时间长一些 |
[03:49] | Bobby, you got a minute? | Bobby,有时间吗? |
[03:52] | Sure. | 嗯。 |
[03:56] | What’s up? | 怎么了? |
[04:00] | Deposition in the Sandler case got pushed. | 已经推进了Sandler一案的书面证词工作 |
[04:03] | They’re saying beginning of next month. | 他们下个月就开始。 |
[04:08] | That’s what you need a minute for? | 你要跟我说的就是这个? |
[04:12] | Bobby, I was asked to do some pro bono work | Bobby,我被要求无偿地做一些工作 |
[04:15] | which I really need to do. | 是我必须要去做的。 |
[04:18] | What’s wrong? | 出了什么事吗? |
[04:20] | I’m — I’m in a little bit of a jam | 我。。。我有点小麻烦 |
[04:24] | and I need to do a guy a favor. | 我不得不给一个人帮点忙。 |
[04:28] | I’m listening. | 接着说吧。 |
[04:33] | The guy’s my bookie. | 这人是个庄家。 |
[04:36] | I don’t gamble anymore. Trust me. | 我不会再赌博了,相信我吧。 |
[04:39] | You do not have to worry about that | 你不必对此担心,因为我确实吸取了教训。 |
[04:41] | because I have definitely learned my lesson. | 你不必对此担心,因为我确实吸取了教训。 |
[04:44] | What do you owe? | 你欠了多少? |
[04:46] | $27,000. | 二万七。 |
[04:52] | It started small to make the games | 一开始赌的少,为了让看比赛更有意思,仅此而已。 |
[04:54] | more interesting. That’s all. | 一开始赌的少,为了让看比赛更有意思,仅此而已。 |
[04:56] | Last season, I did okay — | 上个赛季,我赚钱了。。。 |
[04:58] | Better than okay. | 赚得还不少。 |
[05:01] | Started thinking I knew what I was doing. | 开始觉得自己有些把握。 |
[05:06] | What’s the case? | 什么案子? |
[05:10] | His ex-wife is suing him for fraud. | 他的前妻以诈骗罪对他起诉。 |
[05:13] | He won the lottery. | 他中了彩票。 |
[05:14] | She’s claiming he didn’t tell her. | 她说他没告诉她。 |
[05:16] | Lottery? For how much? | 彩票?多少? |
[05:19] | Well, $100,000. | 呃,十万。 |
[05:20] | He says he bought the ticket with separate funds. | 他说他用自己独立账户买的彩票。 |
[05:23] | The lottery commission’s holding all the money | 在所有权问题得到解决前, |
[05:26] | until the ownership issues are resolved. | 彩票发行机构扣住所有的钱。 |
[05:28] | Anything I can get him over 70 comes off my tab. | 我为他争取到七万以上的部分都用来充抵我的欠债 |
[05:33] | It’s one day’s work — two at the most. | 就是一天的事。。。最多两天。 |
[05:42] | She did everything right. | 她没做错什么。 |
[05:44] | She stayed calm, she avoided eye contact, | 她保持安静、她避免对视, |
[05:47] | and she gave up the money without a fight. | 她也没有抵抗。 |
[05:50] | He shot her anyway. | 尽管如此他还是开枪打了她。 |
[05:52] | It’s a miracle she didn’t die. | 她没死真是个奇迹。 |
[05:55] | When did you arrive on the scene, Detective? | 你什么时候到现场的,警探? |
[05:58] | Within minutes. There was another woman at the store. | 几分钟之内。商店里还有另一个女人。 |
[06:01] | An eyewitness — Martha McKee. She’s the one that called 911. | 目击证人。。。Martha McKee。她是打911报警的人。 |
[06:06] | What happened after you arrived? | 你们到后发生了什么事? |
[06:07] | Well, we got a description of the shooter from Mrs. McKee. | 呃,我们从McKee夫人那里得到了对枪手的描述。 |
[06:10] | We pulled the surveillance tape and started canvassing the area. | 我们调出监控录像带,开始对该地区进行搜查。 |
[06:13] | We found the defendant less than two blocks away. | 我们发现被告离我们不到两个街区。 |
[06:15] | What was he doing? | 他那时在干嘛? |
[06:17] | Sitting on a stoop, drinking beer with some of his friends. | 坐在凳子上,和他的一些朋友喝啤酒。 |
[06:20] | He was dressed just like on the tape — | 他的穿着和录像上的一样。。。 |
[06:22] | Same sweatshirt, everything. | 同样的运动衫,全都一样。 |
[06:24] | What did you do next, detective? | 你接下来做了什么,警探? |
[06:26] | We placed him under arrest and searched him. | 我们逮捕了他并搜了他的身。 |
[06:28] | We found $580 in his pocket. | 我们在他的口袋里找到了580美元。 |
[06:31] | This witness — Mrs. McKee — did she attempt to make | 那名证人。。。McKee夫人。。。 |
[06:34] | a formal identification of the suspect? | 试着让她进行一次正式的身份识别了吗? |
[06:36] | Yes, we showed her a photo six-pack. | 是的,我们给她看过六个一组的指认照片。 |
[06:43] | This one? | 这个吗? |
[06:44] | Yes. She positively identified photo number 2 | 是的,她肯定地指认出了照片中的第2号 |
[06:48] | as the man who shot the clerk. | 是枪击店员的那个人。 |
[06:49] | And whose photograph is in the number 2 slot? | 谁的照片在2号槽里? |
[06:51] | Photo number 2 is him, the defendant Martin Jenks. | 2号照片是就是他,被告Martin Jenks |
[06:57] | The clerk who was shot — did she identify my client? | 被枪击的店员。。。她指认出我的当事人了吗? |
[07:00] | No, she couldn’t make any identification. | 不,她无法做任何身份指认。 |
[07:03] | None at all? | 完全不能吗? |
[07:04] | She knew it was a white male. That’s all. | 她只知道是个白人男性。仅此而已。 |
[07:06] | When you found my client, detective, | 警探先生,当你找到我的当事人时, |
[07:08] | did you find a gun on him? | 你在他身上找到枪了吗? |
[07:10] | No, we never found a weapon. | 没有,我们一直没有找到枪。 |
[07:11] | Any fingerprints at the scene? | 现场找到指纹了吗? |
[07:13] | He was wearing gloves. | 他戴了手套。 |
[07:15] | Did you find the gloves? | 你找到手套了吗? |
[07:16] | No. | 没有。 |
[07:20] | It went good. Didn’t it? | 进展不错,不是吗? |
[07:23] | Well…it looked like you on the tape. | 这个嘛。。。录像上看像是你。 |
[07:25] | “It looked like me” — | “像是我”。。。 |
[07:26] | Half my block has a sweatshirt like that. | 我那个街区有有一半人穿着那样的运动衫。 |
[07:28] | It’s not just the sweatshirt, Martin. | 不仅仅是运动衫,Martin |
[07:30] | They’ve got that witness. Who’s wrong. | -他们有证人 -她弄错了 |
[07:32] | Wrong, but unequivocal, | 就算是错了,但她毫不含糊, |
[07:34] | and she’s a pretty credible person — | 况且她是个相当可信的人。。。 |
[07:37] | Selectman, school committee member in Braintree — | 是Braintree的地方委员会和学校委员会的成员。。。 |
[07:39] | She’s wrong! | 她弄错了! |
[07:42] | Okay, you need to calm down. | 好吧,你需要冷静下来。 |
[07:46] | Here’s the problem. If I put you on the stand, | 有个问题,如果我让你出庭作证, |
[07:49] | the jury could learn about your record — | 陪审团会了解到你的前科。。。 |
[07:50] | What, for getting high? Stealing some CDs? | 了解什么,嗑药?偷了些CD? |
[07:52] | I don’t take off stores with guns. | 我没有持枪抢劫商店。 |
[07:54] | I don’t shoot people. | 我没有冲人开枪。 |
[07:55] | I believe you, | 我相信你, |
[07:58] | but I’m telling you I met with this witness. | 但我告诉你我见过那个证人了。 |
[08:00] | I talked to her myself. | 我亲自和她谈过。 |
[08:03] | I’m worried that the jury will take her word. | 我担心陪审团会相信她的话。 |
[08:06] | Well, that can’t be enough to put me in jail. | 那不足以把我送进监狱。 |
[08:07] | It is enough. She’s an eyewitness. | 足以了,她是个目击证人。 |
[08:10] | Throw in the hooded sweatshirt, the cash in your pocket — | 加上那连帽运动衫,还有你口袋里的现金。。。 |
[08:12] | I told you I earned that money busing tables downtown — | 我告诉过你那我是在镇上收拾餐桌赚的钱。。。 |
[08:16] | in an off-the-books job for $200 a week. | 那是一周200美元的兼职。 |
[08:17] | You were carrying $600. | 可你身上带了600元。 |
[08:26] | These are the questions you will be asked. | 这些是你将要被问到的问题。 |
[08:33] | All the money I got, I carry. | 我把我赚的钱都带在身上。 |
[08:35] | It just… | 只不过是。。。 |
[08:37] | it makes me feel big, you know? | 这让我觉得自己很了不起,你懂吗? |
[08:43] | So why, all of a sudden, do you think | 那为什么,突然间, |
[08:44] | I’m going to lose? Tell me that. | 你认为我会输了?告诉我吧。 |
[08:46] | Sometimes you get a feel in the room, | 有时候你会在法庭上会有种感觉, |
[08:48] | and I just don’t like the one I’m getting here. | 我只是不喜欢这次得到的感觉。 |
[08:50] | That police officer seemed pretty persuasive. | 那个警官似乎很有令人信服。 |
[08:53] | I didn’t like the way the jury was looking at you. | 我也不喜欢陪审团看你的眼神。 |
[08:55] | I didn’t do anything. | 我什么都没做呀。 |
[08:57] | I know that, | 我知道, |
[09:00] | but if we lose, attempted murder is 15-to-life. | 如果我们输了, 谋杀未遂的量刑范围是十五年到终身监禁。 |
[09:09] | And your mother not showing up? | 你妈妈不来了吗? |
[09:10] | That didn’t help. | 那也起不不到什么作用的。 |
[09:18] | Promise me I won’t go to jail. | 向我保证,我不会坐牢的。 |
[09:21] | I can’t make that promise. | 我保证不了。 |
[09:24] | Please, let me try to plead. | 拜托,让我去试试达成认罪交易。 |
[09:27] | If I can get a reduced sentence — | 如果我能争取到减刑。。。 |
[09:29] | Please. | 拜托了。 |
[09:36] | The problem is | 问题在于 |
[09:38] | you bought the lottery ticket on July 18th. | 你在7月18日买了彩票 |
[09:40] | You won the money on the 22nd. | 你22日中了奖。 |
[09:43] | The divorce became final on the 28th. | 办完离婚手续是在28日。 |
[09:50] | Why — why is this a problem? | 为什么。。。这算是问题? |
[09:51] | Legally, she’s entitled to half. | 依照法律,她有权得到一半。 |
[09:54] | Yeah, but I’m not hiring you for a legal opinion, Jimmy. | 但我雇你可不是来听你的法律观点的,Jimmy |
[09:58] | You got to figure out | 你要想出办法来怎么能让她什么也得不到。 |
[09:59] | how to keep her from getting any. | 你要想出办法来怎么能让她什么也得不到。 |
[10:01] | We would have to show | 我们必须要证明这张彩票是用你独立账户买的。 |
[10:03] | the ticket was bought with segregated funds. | 我们必须要证明这张彩票是用你独立账户买的。 |
[10:06] | But we’ve been over this. I told you I did. | 这已经不是问题了,我跟你说过了。 |
[10:09] | Yes, but your word — | 但你说的话。。。 |
[10:11] | I segregated the money aside in anticipation of the divorce. | 我料到会离婚的,我就把钱分开存放了 |
[10:15] | I bought the ticket with that money. | 我买彩票用的是这些钱。 |
[10:17] | I’m not sure the Judge will believe that, | 我不敢保证法官会相信这些, |
[10:20] | and if he thinks you’re trying to commit a fraud, | 而且假如他觉得你试图欺诈的话, |
[10:23] | he could give it all to her. | 他可能会全判给你太太。 |
[10:24] | That’s what I’m most worried about. | 那是我很担心的。 |
[10:27] | Listen to me. | 听我说。 |
[10:29] | I already give her 6,000 bucks a month — | 我已经每个月要给她6000元。。。 |
[10:32] | more than I have to… Which we will point out. | -比我该给的要多。。。 -这一点我们会指出的。 |
[10:35] | Just to keep her yap shut about what I do. | 就是为了让她闭嘴,别对我做的事逼逼个没完。 |
[10:38] | Which we will not point out. | 这个意思我们不能明说。 |
[10:39] | Do you know what she does all day? | 你知道她一天到晚干些什么吗? |
[10:41] | Gets her nails done and bangs her boyfriend — | 修完指甲就去和她男友鬼混。。。 |
[10:43] | 6,000 bucks a month. | 一个月给她6000美元。 |
[10:47] | This is how she shows her gratitude. | 她就是这么表达感激之情的。 |
[10:49] | I’d like to try to settle this. | 我想设法达成和解。 |
[10:52] | Why? | 为什么? |
[10:53] | Because I don’t want it coming down | 因为我不想靠你的表现和说辞去打赢官司。 |
[10:54] | to your demeanor or your word of honor. | 因为我不想靠你的表现和说辞去打赢官司。 |
[11:00] | I got a meeting set up with her attorney. | 我约她的律师开个会。 |
[11:03] | If I could get 60 for you, 40 for her — | 如果我能争取到你和她六四分。。。 |
[11:06] | That does you no good. | 这对你没什么好处。 |
[11:08] | I understand that, but we got to look | 我知道,但是我们得看清形势。 |
[11:10] | at what we’re faced with here. | 我知道,但是我们得看清形势。 |
[11:11] | The Judge could give her 60-40, | 法官可能会判给她六成, |
[11:14] | and if he should give it all to her — | 而且是否他给全判给她。。。 |
[11:16] | I’ll kill her first. | 那我就先宰了她。 |
[11:23] | Maybe that should be our strategy here. | 也许这应该就是我们现在的策略。 |
[11:25] | We tell her, | 我们告诉她, |
[11:28] | “walk away for health reasons.” | “出于健康考虑,走远点” |
[11:32] | Are you threatening her? | 你在威胁她吗? |
[11:33] | I’m using you to intimidate her. | 我让你去吓吓她。 |
[11:37] | Are you threatening her life? | 你是在扬言要她的命吗? |
[11:41] | Of course not. | 当然不是了。 |
[11:49] | Just get my money. | 只是为了拿到我的钱。 |
[12:02] | You just take your time, all right? | 你只需从容一些,好吗? |
[12:04] | Keep your answers short and try to look at the jury. | 保持回答简短并面向陪审团。 |
[12:06] | Is this attorney aggressive? She didn’t seem so. | 这个律师凶吗?她看起来不是这样的。 |
[12:10] | She’ll be tougher in Court than when she interviewed you, | 她会比和你面谈的时候要凶一些, |
[12:11] | but you just stick to what you saw and you’ll be fine. | 但你只要坚称你所看到的就行。 |
[12:14] | Okay. | 好吧。 |
[12:15] | All right. I’ll see you at 8:45 tomorrow — sharp. | 那好,明早八点三刻见。。。准时来。 |
[12:18] | Okay. | 行。 |
[12:20] | Come in. | 请进。 |
[12:22] | Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know you were busy. | 哦,抱歉,我不知道你现在忙。 |
[12:23] | No, it’s all right. We’re just finishing. | 不,没事,我们刚完事。 |
[12:25] | I believe you know Martha McKee. We’ve met. | -我想你见过Martha McKee -我们见过 |
[12:27] | Hello again. | 又见面啦。 |
[12:29] | We’ll see you tomorrow — 8:45. | 我们明天八点三刻见。。。 |
[12:30] | Okay. | 好的 |
[12:35] | She’s wrong about the I. D. | 她认错人了。 |
[12:38] | You came here to tell me that? | 你来这儿就是跟我说这个呀? |
[12:39] | She was scared to death, probably focused on the gun, | 她那时被吓得要死,注意力可能集中在枪上, |
[12:42] | and we both know how unreliable eyewitnesses can be. | 我们都知道目击证人是多不可靠的。 |
[12:45] | I’m not pleading out. | 我不提供认罪交易。 |
[12:46] | He’s got no priors for violence | 他没有暴力前科, |
[12:48] | and sitting less than two blocks away | 案发后穿着同一件运动衫坐在不到两个街区外? |
[12:49] | in the same sweatshirt? How stupid could he be? | 他要多傻才会这么做? |
[12:52] | What about the cash? $600? That’s — | 那身上的现金呢?600元?那是。。。 |
[12:54] | He likes to carry cash. There’s nothing illegal — | 他喜欢身上揣着钱,这又不违法。。。 |
[12:56] | No deal. | 没有认罪交易。 |
[12:59] | Look. I’ve been doing this a long time | 我做这行时间不短了 |
[13:02] | and I’m not in the habit of believing all my clients. | 我也不是一贯相信我的当事人。 |
[13:06] | I think he’s innocent. | 但我觉得他是无罪的。 |
[13:10] | 12 years — That’s the best I can do. | 服刑十二年,这是我能给出的最好条件了。 |
[13:12] | Come in with five, I’ll sell it. | 五年,我就接受了。 |
[13:14] | Well, I’m sure you would, but I’m offering 12. | 嗯,你当然乐不得了,但我给的就是十二年。 |
[13:16] | He’s 19. | 他才19岁。 |
[13:18] | 12 years in prison… He’ll never recover. | 坐十二年牢,他彻底毁了。 |
[13:21] | Can’t do it. | 我做不到。 |
[13:24] | I’m asking a favor. | 我是在求你。 |
[13:27] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉。 |
[13:38] | When’s the settlement conference? | 什么时候召开和解会议? |
[13:39] | 20 minutes. | 二十分钟后。 |
[13:45] | So, when did all this start? | 那么,这一切是什么时候开始的? |
[13:49] | The gambling. | 赌博吧。 |
[13:50] | I told you. Nickel-and-Dime bets | 我跟你说了,为了好玩下些小本赌注。 |
[13:53] | to make the games interesting. | 我跟你说了,为了看比赛好玩下些小本赌注。 |
[13:55] | Then, you know, uh, I upped it | 后来,你也知道了,呃, |
[13:59] | to make my life interesting. | 我赌注加大了,想改变人生。 |
[14:03] | You get addicted to the risk, I guess. | 我想是对冒险上瘾了。 |
[14:06] | Which means you have to bet more than you can afford to lose. | 那意味着你下的赌注超出你的承受能力了。 |
[14:08] | I ain’t doin’ it anymore. | 我没有再赌了。 |
[14:10] | Jimmy, if it’s an addiction — | Jimmy,如果上了瘾的话。。。 |
[14:12] | My cousin’s in one of those gambling anonymous clubs. | 我堂兄在一个戒赌会里,没准儿我也会去的。 |
[14:16] | Odds are I’ll go. | 我堂兄在一个戒赌会里,没准儿我也会去的。 |
[14:19] | That was a joke. | 我是开个玩笑。 |
[14:21] | I’m not laughing. | 我可没觉得好笑。 |
[14:23] | Hey, let’s not forget how I got here. | 嘿,别忘了我是怎么到这儿工作的。 |
[14:25] | I falsified loan documents | 我伪造了贷款文件 |
[14:27] | and got myself fired from a bank. | 使我被银行开除了。 |
[14:29] | That’s my legacy. | 那是我的历史遗留问题 |
[14:30] | That’s not your legacy. | 那不是你的历史遗留问题 |
[14:35] | If you’re trying to tell me you’re not smarter than this, | 如果你是想跟我说你现在学聪明了, |
[14:39] | I don’t buy it. | 我才不信呢。 |
[14:40] | I’m not gambling anymore. You have my word. | 我不再赌博了,我向你保证。 |
[14:48] | Listen. I appreciate you not | 听我说,你别把这事告诉别人,我会不胜感激的。。。 |
[14:51] | telling the others about — | 听我说,你别把这事告诉别人,我会不胜感激的。。。 |
[15:01] | Stuart Miller and client. | Stuart Miller律师和他的当事人来了 |
[15:03] | Send them in. | 请他们进来。 |
[15:06] | You okay to do this? | 你行吗? |
[15:08] | Fine. | 没问题。 |
[15:16] | Hello? | 哪位? |
[15:18] | Speaking. | 请讲。 |
[15:23] | When? | 什么时候? |
[15:28] | Oh, god. | 噢,天呀。 |
[15:35] | Yeah, okay. | 嗯,好的。 |
[15:42] | How? | 怎么样? |
[15:43] | Heart attack. She was just in my office. | 心脏病发作,她刚才还在我办公室呢。 |
[15:46] | It happened on the drive home. She’s D. O. A. | 开车回家的时候发作的,送到医院时已经死了。 |
[15:48] | And this was your eyewitness? | 你就这一个目击证人? |
[15:49] | Yes. My only eyewitness, but she hadn’t testified. | 是的,唯一的目击证人,她还没作证呢。 |
[15:51] | She’s due up next. | 下一个就该她了。 |
[15:54] | Any recorded testimony of any… | 有记录在案的证词或者别的。。。 |
[15:58] | I still got the videotape. | 我仍然有录像证据。 |
[15:59] | We got the clothes. Maybe if I can sell — | 我们有衣着吻合的证据,或许我能借此。。。 |
[16:02] | No gun? No prints? | 没有枪?没有指纹? |
[16:07] | Without that eyewitness, | 没有目击证人的情况下, |
[16:08] | the Judge will knock you out under rule 25 | 甚至在你见到陪审团之前, |
[16:10] | before it even gets to the jury. | 法官就会基于第25条规则把你轰出去。 |
[16:14] | Any chance she’ll put the defendant up? | 她会让被告出庭作证吗? |
[16:16] | No, she’s too smart. | 不会的,她太精明了。 |
[16:20] | I think we’re dead. | 我觉得我们没戏了。 |
[16:29] | Does Dole know the witness is dead? | Dole知道证人死了吗? |
[16:33] | No, I don’t think so — certainly not from me. | 我认为她不知道。。。我当然没说。 |
[16:37] | Then there’s still time. Plead it out. | 那就还有时间,提出认罪交易。 |
[16:41] | Excuse me. | 你说什么。 |
[16:43] | You heard me. | 你知道我在说什么。 |
[16:45] | Kenny, I think I have to tell her. | Kenny,我认为我必须要告诉她。 |
[16:48] | No, you don’t. It isn’t exculpatory evidence. | 不,你不必告诉她,这不属于无罪证据。 |
[16:52] | You don’t have to tell her anything about this. | 你无需告知她与此有关的任何事情。 |
[16:57] | Plead it out — quick. | 达成认罪交易。。。尽快。 |
[17:06] | I think we can all agree | 我想我们的共识是 |
[17:08] | if we could work this out amicably, | 如果我们能友好地解决这个问题, |
[17:10] | it would save time — | 可以节省时间。。。 |
[17:10] | Oh, is that the goal here — | 噢,友好相处,这就是我们来这儿的目的吗? |
[17:12] | that we all get amicable? Vicky. | 噢,友好相处,这就是我们来这儿的目的吗? |
[17:14] | That the purpose of the fraud is to bring us tight? | 那欺诈的目的是让我们关系密切吗? |
[17:16] | This is her — charming. | 她就是这样。。。迷人。 |
[17:18] | Okay. This isn’t a good start. | 算了,这头开得不好。 |
[17:20] | Look. The legal reality here is not complicated. | 听着,这件事的法律事实并不复杂。 |
[17:24] | The lottery ticket was purchased before the divorce. | 彩票是在离婚前买的。 |
[17:26] | The prize was won before the divorce. | 中奖也是在离婚之前。 |
[17:28] | The money is marital property. | 这笔钱是夫妻共同财产。 |
[17:30] | Not if he bought the ticket with segregated funds. | 如果是他用独立账户的钱买的,那就不是共同财产了 |
[17:32] | Do you have any records from any bank accounts… | 你们有银行账户的纪录单据吗? |
[17:34] | I kept it cash. | 我都是用现金的。 |
[17:36] | Oh, you can’t even lie well. | 噢,你撒谎都撒不好。 |
[17:37] | All right. Anger isn’t going to help things. | 好了,愤怒解决不了任何问题。 |
[17:40] | Anger is all he left me with, Mr. Berluti. | Berluti先生,他留给我的只有愤怒。 |
[17:42] | He divorced me because he won the lottery. | 他和我离婚是因为他中了彩票。 |
[17:46] | That is not true. | 不是这样的。 |
[17:47] | No, the marriage was dead. We were no longer intimate. | 婚姻已经破裂了。我们不再亲近了。 |
[17:51] | We didn’t, uh, communicate. | 我们没有,呃,没有沟通。 |
[17:53] | Communicate? | 沟通? |
[17:55] | You couldn’t communicate that you won the lottery. | 你没有跟我沟通说你中了奖。 |
[17:57] | Or that you were a bitch. Hey! | -或者跟你沟通说你是个婊子。 -嘿! |
[17:59] | Play the tape. | 放录像。 |
[18:00] | Vicky, I really prefer — | Vicky,我真的是宁愿。。。 |
[18:02] | Play the tape. | 放录像吧。 |
[18:07] | What tape? | 什么录像? |
[18:09] | This would be July 14th, shortly before the lottery. | 这是7月14日,在买彩票前不久。 |
[18:12] | May I? | 可以吗? |
[18:13] | What is this? | 是什么呀? |
[18:15] | I believe it speaks for itself. | 看了就知道了 |
[18:19] | May I? | 可以放了吗? |
[18:21] | Go ahead. | 放吧。 |
[18:22] | You don’t think I kept records of certain things, Sid? | Sid,你没想到我录下了某些事情吧? |
[18:24] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事? |
[18:37] | This would be your client here | 这大概是你的当事人,穿着 |
[18:40] | with the, uh, female undergarments, | 呃,穿着女性内衣, |
[18:44] | and that would be my client there | 那个应该是我的当事人, |
[18:48] | with the, uh, apparatus. | 拿着,呃,拿着器械。 |
[18:52] | My client, from this angle, | 我的当事人,从这个角度, |
[18:54] | is on top of your client right there… | 正骑在你的当事人身上。。。 |
[18:57] | Turn it off. | 关掉。 |
[19:01] | First of all, that isn’t relevant. | 首先,这没有关联。 |
[19:04] | As distasteful as it is, Mr. Berluti, | Berluti先生,尽管令人不快, |
[19:06] | I’m afraid it is relevant. Your client is claiming | 我想这恐怕是有关联的,你的当事人说 |
[19:09] | that the marriage was dead before the lottery. | 买彩票前婚姻关系已经破裂了。 |
[19:11] | He’s saying that there was no intimacy. | 他说不存在亲密的关系。 |
[19:13] | Well, although admittedly unconventional, | 尽管这公认是非常规的, |
[19:16] | that was conjugal activity on that tape, | 但录像带上是夫妻间的行为。 |
[19:19] | and should this go to Court, we will introduce it. | 如果这事上了法庭,我们会拿出这个的。 |
[19:21] | I’ll suppress it. | 我会要求禁止出示的。 |
[19:22] | I doubt it. | 我对此表示怀疑。 |
[19:27] | Okay, here’s the deal. | 好吧,交易条件是, |
[19:28] | I get 70 and you get 30. | 我分七万,你拿三万。 |
[19:31] | Just bend over and take it, Sid. | 弯下腰接受吧,Sid。 |
[19:34] | You never minded before. | 你以前从不介意这样做的。 |
[19:45] | Alan, these are the results of our polygraph. | Alan,这是测谎仪的结果 |
[19:47] | He passed convincingly. | 他很顺利地通过了。 |
[19:48] | Come on, Lindsay. For all I know, | 得了吧,Lindsay,依我看, |
[19:50] | you tested him 10 times and he passed once. | 你测了他十次,他通过了一次。 |
[19:52] | I didn’t. He’s innocent, Alan. | 我没这样做,他是无辜的,Alan |
[19:54] | He stands to be convicted for wearing a green sweatshirt. | 他将会因为穿了件绿色的运动衫被判有罪。 |
[19:57] | He didn’t do it. | 但不是他做的。 |
[19:59] | Look at his record, for god’s sake. | 看在上帝的份上,看看他的档案吧。 |
[20:00] | He’s never committed any kind of violent crime. | 他从来没有暴力犯罪前科。 |
[20:08] | I need a favor here. | 我要你帮个忙。 |
[20:12] | Five years, five more probation, | 服刑五年,余下刑期缓刑, |
[20:14] | and he waives parole. That’s the best I can do. | 并放弃保释。我最多给出这样的条件, |
[20:25] | I’m not doing five years. | 我不能接受。 |
[20:26] | Martin… No! -Martin。。。 | -不行! |
[20:27] | It’s a good deal. | 这个条件不错的。 |
[20:29] | Sending me to jail for something I didn’t do? | 因为我没有做过的事进监狱? |
[20:31] | The guy who shot that woman is still out there. | 开枪杀了那个女人的家伙还在没落网。 |
[20:33] | Don’t they care about that? | 他们就不在乎吗? |
[20:34] | I don’t care about him. I care about you. | 我不在乎他,我在乎的是你。 |
[20:36] | I don’t want you doing 15 years. It’s not the truth! | -我不想让你坐十五年的牢 -事实真相不是那样的! |
[20:38] | Forget about the truth. It doesn’t work that way. | 别管什么事实真相了,那没用的。 |
[20:48] | I can’t win this trial. | 这案子我赢不了。 |
[20:53] | If I thought I could… | 要如果觉得行的话。。。 |
[20:58] | five years — you still have a life left. | 服刑五年。。。你还有可以继续生活 |
[21:01] | 15 — you don’t. | 十五年的话。。。 |
[21:09] | Your Honor, we’ve reached an agreement. | 法官大人,我们达成协议了。 |
[21:11] | Is that right, Ms. Dole? | Dole女士,是这样吗? |
[21:12] | Yes, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人。 |
[21:13] | My client is prepared to enter a change of plea. | 我的当事人准备对抗辩提出变更。 |
[21:16] | Mr. Jenks, is it your desire to plead guilty at this time? | Jenks先生,你现在是否愿意认罪? |
[21:19] | Yes, uh, yes. Ahem. | 是的,唔,是的。 |
[21:22] | I need you to speak up, son. | 声音大些,年轻人。 |
[21:23] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[21:25] | All right. Now I need to ask you | 那好,我要问你几个问题以记录在案。 |
[21:27] | some questions for the record. | 那好,我要问你几个问题以记录在案。 |
[21:29] | Okay. | 好的。 |
[21:31] | Is your decision to plead guilty being made voluntarily? | 你是自愿认罪的吗? |
[21:35] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[21:37] | Did you talk about it with your attorney? | 你和你的律师就此讨论过吗? |
[21:41] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[21:42] | You understand that by pleading you’re waiving your right | 你是否明白一旦认罪, |
[21:45] | to cross-examine witnesses, present evidence, | 你就放弃了交叉盘问、证据展示 |
[21:47] | and have a jury decide your guilt? | 以及由陪审团对你进行裁决的权力了吗? |
[21:50] | Yes. | 明白。 |
[21:52] | Ms. Dole, | Dole女士, |
[21:54] | have you advised your client regarding this plea? | 对于这个认罪协议,你给你的当事人提出过建议吗? |
[21:56] | I have, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人。 |
[21:58] | And you concur with it? | 你对此同意吗? |
[21:59] | I do. | 是的。 |
[22:00] | All right, before I can formally take the guilty plea, | 那好,在我证实认可这个认罪协议前, |
[22:04] | I need the defendant to establish | 我需要被告对认罪的事实基础进行确认。 |
[22:06] | a factual basis for it. | 我需要被告对认罪的事实基础进行确认。 |
[22:12] | What she said, um, | 她说过了,唔, |
[22:14] | my lawyer already told you. I want to plead guilty. | 我的律师已经告诉你了。我想认罪。 |
[22:16] | Martin, you have to — | Martin,你要。。。 |
[22:18] | Son, I need you to tell me what you did in your own words. | 年轻人,我需要你亲口告诉我你做了些什么。 |
[22:21] | Otherwise, I can’t accept your plea. | 否则的话,我无法认可你的认罪协议。 |
[22:27] | I, um… | 我,唔。。。 |
[22:30] | I did what the prosecutor said I did. | 我做了那些检察官说的事。 |
[22:33] | You robbed and then shot | 你实施了抢劫并且枪击了便利店的那个女人吗? |
[22:36] | the woman in the convenience store? | 你实施了抢劫并且枪击了便利店的那个女人吗? |
[22:40] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[22:41] | So, as to the charge of attempted murder, | 那么,针对谋杀未遂的指控, |
[22:44] | you wish to plead guilty? | 你希望对此认罪? |
[22:54] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[22:55] | Very well. | 很好。 |
[22:57] | The plea is accepted. Mr. Lowe? | 认罪协议有效。Lowe先生,你呢? |
[22:59] | Commonwealth moves for remand. | 州政府要求将其收押。 |
[23:00] | Granted. The defendant is remanded into custody | 准许。将被告收押。 |
[23:03] | pending sentencing, and we are adjourned. | 等待判决,休庭。 |
[23:06] | Are you okay? | 你还好吗? |
[23:23] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[23:25] | Okay. | 没关系。 |
[23:28] | I won’t forget it. | 我会记着你帮了这个忙的。 |
[23:45] | This is not a good result, Jimmy. | 这结果可太糟了,Jimmy。 |
[23:47] | I’m due 50. I hire you to try to bump it up to 70, | 我预计拿到5万。我雇你是想把提高到七万, |
[23:51] | and now you’re advising me to take 30? | 而你现在建议我拿三万? |
[23:54] | It’s not a good result. | 这太糟了。 |
[23:55] | If you want to go to trial, I will do that. | 如果你想上法庭审理,我可以办。 |
[23:57] | What’s the chance of that tape coming into play? | 那录像带有多大可能会当庭播放? |
[24:00] | I’d bring a motion in liminie to try to prevent that, | 我会提出排除动议去阻止的。 |
[24:03] | but I can’t guarantee success. | 但我不能保证成功。 |
[24:08] | If you’re worried about people seeing that video, | 如果你担心人们看到这个录像, |
[24:10] | and having seen it, | 以及看过之后的后果, |
[24:12] | I would say your concern is a good one, | 我觉得你的担忧是对的。 |
[24:14] | I’d settle. | 我会选择和解的。 |
[24:17] | And just let her win? | 就这么让她赢了? |
[24:19] | I don’t know what else to tell you. | 我不知道还能给你什么建议? |
[24:30] | Don’t you look comfortable. | 你看起来不太舒服 |
[24:31] | Hey, between a trial and a baby at home, | 嘿,如果在出庭和在家带孩子之余, |
[24:33] | if I find a quiet moment, I seize it. | 我会忙里偷闲的话的。 |
[24:36] | You got a problem with that? | 你有这样的问题吗? |
[24:37] | Evidently not. | 显然没有。 |
[24:40] | I only came into work today because I’m exhausted. | 我来上班是因为我累坏了 |
[24:42] | Tell me about it. | 你算说对了。 |
[24:44] | Hey, Lindsay, did you see this? | 嘿,Lindsay,你看到这消息了吗? |
[24:45] | Today’s obit page. | 今天的讣告页面。 |
[24:49] | What? | 怎么了? |
[24:51] | Witness in my trial died — a heart attack. | 我那个案子里的证人。。。心脏病发作。 |
[24:55] | One of yours or theirs? | 哪一方的证人? |
[24:58] | Theirs. | 他们的证人。 |
[25:02] | You knew she was dead. | 你知道她已经死了。 |
[25:04] | If you’re going to yell — | 如果你要吼的话。。。 |
[25:05] | I’m not yelling. I am using a firm voice. | 我没吼,我用的是坚定的语调。 |
[25:08] | You knew she was dead. | 你知道她已经死了。 |
[25:14] | This case was over. | 这个案子没戏了。 |
[25:16] | Without that witness, you had to dismiss. | 没有这个证人,你只能撤案。 |
[25:18] | Not true. | 不会的。 |
[25:19] | It’s fraud. You intentionally withheld — | 这是欺诈,你故意隐瞒。。。 |
[25:21] | Hey, your client committed attempted murder. | 嘿,你的当事人承认了谋杀未遂。 |
[25:23] | Five years for that is a gift, for your information. | 提醒你一下,服刑五年算是一份礼物了。 |
[25:26] | I’m filing a motion to vacate the plea, | 我正在提出撤销认罪协议, |
[25:27] | and then I’m going straight to your supervisor. | 然后我直接去找你的上司。 |
[25:29] | Let me save you the trouble. | 我给你省点麻烦吧。 |
[25:32] | Mr. Lowe was acting under my direction | Lowe先生所做的是我的授意, |
[25:34] | and with my complete approval. | 是得到我完全同意的。 |
[25:38] | What, so this was a conspiracy to mislead me? | 什么,那么说这是一个误导我的阴谋? |
[25:40] | We were acting within the ethical boundaries — | 我们是在职业道德界限内。。。 |
[25:42] | That’s crap. You lied to me. You withheld material evidence. | 放屁,你们骗了我,你们扣下了关键证据。 |
[25:46] | It is not evidence, Ms. Dole, and further– | 那不属于证据,Dole女士,此外。。。 |
[25:48] | You can’t sit on that kind of information, not when — | 你们不能压下那种信息,不能在。。。 |
[25:50] | You got the deal you were asking for. | 你得到了你想得到的交易。 |
[25:52] | You pushed for it, not us. | 是你促成的,不是我们。 |
[25:57] | Are you serious? | 你没开玩笑吧? |
[25:59] | We did nothing wrong. | 我们没有做错什么事。 |
[26:15] | First, you need to calm down. | 首先,你需要冷静下来。 |
[26:16] | Don’t tell me to calm down. You calm down. | 别让我冷静,你才要冷静呢。 |
[26:18] | Okay, I’m going to take a second and calm myself down. | 好吧,我会先冷静一下。 |
[26:20] | You think this is funny? I think it’s disgusting, | -你觉得这好笑吗? -我觉得这很恶心。 |
[26:23] | and I think all three of us should go into Court, | 我认为我们三个人都应该去法庭, |
[26:25] | but we can’t in with emotion, Lindsay. | 但我们不能感情用事,Lindsay。 |
[26:28] | He would have walked. | 他本可以没事的。 |
[26:29] | An innocent kid is doing five years — | 一个无辜的孩子被判了五年刑。。。 |
[26:31] | Let’s do some research on whether it qualifies | 让我们研究一下,其在法定诉讼程序中 |
[26:33] | as exculpatory or denial of due process. | 是属于可证明无罪的还是可被否认的证据 |
[26:35] | Eugene, maybe you and Rebecca can get on that. | Eugene,你也许可以和Rebecca一起研究。 |
[26:38] | You need to draft a declaration | 你起草一份声明 |
[26:40] | setting forth exactly what Lowe told you. | 准确地阐述Lowe对你说的话。 |
[26:43] | I’ll mark up the motion with the clerk’s office. | 我会向法庭书记处知会这个动议。 |
[26:44] | We can’t let them get away with this, Bobby. | 我们不能让他们逃脱了,Bobby。 |
[26:47] | We can’t. | 绝不能 |
[26:49] | Can I help you, Lucy? | Lucy,什么事? |
[26:51] | Jimmy’s case is over. | Jimmy的案子完蛋了。 |
[27:13] | Jimmy, what are you doing here? | Jimmy,你在干嘛? |
[27:16] | Family lawyer. Can I see? | 家庭律师,我能去看看吗? |
[27:19] | It’s not going to make your day. | 你今天不会开心了。 |
[27:21] | I’d like to see. | 我想去看一下。 |
[27:32] | Shots were heard less than an hour ago. | 不到一个小时前听到了枪声。 |
[27:36] | Witnesses? | 有证人吗? |
[27:37] | Nobody yet. | 还没有。 |
[27:40] | Your client’s over here. | 你的当事人在这里。 |
[27:49] | That’s not my client, actually. | 其实,这不是我的当事人 |
[27:54] | I represent her husband. | 我是她丈夫的代理律师。 |
[27:57] | We heard they’re going through a divorce. | 我们听说他们离婚了。 |
[28:01] | Yeah. | 是的。 |
[28:04] | Would you happen to know | Jimmy,你知道你的当事人现在在哪里吗? |
[28:05] | where your client is right now, Jimmy? | Jimmy,你知道你的当事人现在在哪里吗? |
[28:10] | No. | 不知道。 |
[28:20] | Well, can I take my plea back now? | 那么,我现在能撤回我的认罪吗? |
[28:22] | I don’t know. | 我不知道。 |
[28:23] | That’s what we’ll be going into Court to ask for. | 我们会就此去法庭申请 |
[28:25] | They can just lie like this? | 他们能这样骗人吗? |
[28:27] | I’m not sure. | 我说不好。 |
[28:29] | I’ve never really heard of this happening before. | 我以前从没听说过这种事。 |
[28:33] | So…When — When you were convincing me to plea, | 那么。。。当你劝我认罪的时候, |
[28:38] | the witness was already dead? | 证人已经死了? |
[28:40] | Yes. | 对。 |
[28:44] | We’re going to fight this, Martin. | 我们要就此抗争,Martin。 |
[28:50] | I stood up in Court and I told the Judge — | 我站在法庭上跟法官。。。 |
[28:53] | everybody — that I did it, and I didn’t. | 跟所有人。。。说是我做的,但我没有做。 |
[28:59] | I’ve got my whole firm on it now. | 我已经把我们律师所都全动员起来了。 |
[29:01] | We’re in before Judge Wilcox tomorrow. | 我们明天见Wilcox法官。 |
[29:05] | Well, do you think we’ll win? | 你觉得我们会赢吗? |
[29:09] | We have a real chance. This isn’t over. | 我们很有机会,还不到绝望的时候。 |
[29:30] | Any listening devices in there? | 有监听吗? |
[29:32] | None. | 没有。 |
[29:45] | You believe this? They think I whacked her. | 你信吗?他们认为我杀了她。 |
[29:48] | Did you? | 是你吗? |
[29:52] | I am shocked that you would ask me that, Jimmy. | Jimmy,你会这么问我,我很吃惊。 |
[29:58] | Check my alibi, you want peace of mind. | 你想踏实的话,去查查我的不在现场证明吧。 |
[30:01] | Did you have it done? | 你已经安排好了? |
[30:02] | All right, just get me out. | 算了,把我弄出去就好。 |
[30:10] | What have you told them? | 你跟警察说什么了? |
[30:13] | Nothing. | 什么也没说。 |
[30:15] | Just asked for my lawyer — period. | 我只说要见律师。。。仅此而已。 |
[30:18] | I didn’t even so much as express grief over my wife’s demise, | 我甚至都没有对我妻子的死表示太多的悲痛, |
[30:22] | which was difficult. | 这挺不容易的吧。 |
[30:27] | Get me out. | 把我弄出去。 |
[30:35] | I understand they don’t like it, | 我知道他们对此不满意, |
[30:37] | but the fact remains this plea is valid. | 但事实仍然是,这一认罪协议是有效的。 |
[30:39] | It was a violation of due process. | 这违背了诉讼程序。 |
[30:41] | It was made in bad faith and secured by fraud. | 是出于不守信用并通过欺诈获得的。 |
[30:44] | We did no such thing. | 我们没有这样做。 |
[30:45] | You deliberately withheld material evidence. | 你们故意隐瞒关键证据。 |
[30:48] | We have a duty to disclose exculpatory evidence — | 我们有责任的是披露无罪证据。。。 |
[30:50] | evidence that shows he didn’t commit the crime. | 就是那些可以证明他没有犯罪的证据。 |
[30:53] | The fact that our witness died | 而我们证人的死亡一事跟被告是否有罪没有关系。 |
[30:54] | has nothing to do with whether he’s guilty. | 而我们证人的死亡一事跟被告是否有罪没有关系。 |
[30:56] | It went to whether you even had a case. | 你们的立案依据完全取决于那个证人。 |
[30:58] | Mr. Donnell, your client | Donnell先生,你的当事人当庭接受了认罪协议。 |
[31:00] | accepted the plea in my courtroom. | Donnell先生,你的当事人当庭接受了认罪协议。 |
[31:02] | I heard it. He stood right there | 当着我的面。 |
[31:04] | and admitted he robbed and shot that woman. | 他就站在这里承认了抢劫并且枪击了那个女人。 |
[31:06] | Which was extortion. | 那就是敲诈。 |
[31:07] | Extortion? Ms. Dole? | 敲诈?Dole女士? |
[31:08] | Martin Jenks has always maintained his innocence. | Martin Jenks始终坚持他是无罪的。 |
[31:11] | He took this plea because I forced him to | 是我强迫他接受这个认罪协议的。 |
[31:14] | because I believed the eyewitness was ready to testify. | 因为我认为那个目击证人会出庭作证。 |
[31:16] | Lawyers play poker all the time. | 律师们总是要耍些心眼的。 |
[31:18] | Oh, don’t insult me or this Court | 噢,别搬出你那一套所谓心眼来侮辱我和这个法庭。 |
[31:19] | by calling what you did “poker.” Lindsay. | 噢,别搬出你那一套所谓心眼来侮辱我和这个法庭。 |
[31:21] | Your honor, every defendant who pleads takes a chance. | 法官大人,每个接受认罪协议的被告都是在冒险。 |
[31:24] | He’s gambling that he’ll be better off pleading guilty | 他是在赌他接受认罪协议会比出庭被定罪要来得好些。 |
[31:27] | than going to trial and getting convicted. | 他是在赌他接受认罪协议会比出庭被定罪要来得好些。 |
[31:29] | Sometimes he’s right and sometimes he’s wrong, | 他有时候对了,但有时候他错了。 |
[31:32] | but the law doesn’t permit him to withdraw his plea | 但法律不允许他因为事后得知他高估了检方的办案证据 |
[31:35] | because he later learns | 但法律不允许他因为事后得知他高估了检方的办案证据 |
[31:36] | that he overestimated the strength of our case. | 而撤回认罪协议。 |
[31:39] | This wasn’t an estimation. Who’s arguing here? | -这不是估计的问题 -你们到底是由谁来和我争辩呀? |
[31:41] | Whatever chance they had at winning at trial | 且不论McKee太太死后他们赢下案子的机会渺茫, |
[31:43] | died along with Mrs. McKee. As an officer of the Court, | 作为一名司法工作人员, |
[31:47] | Mr. Lowe was obligated to reveal that to me | 法官大人,Lowe先生有义务将此事通知我和您。 |
[31:49] | as well as to you, Your Honor. | 法官大人,Lowe先生有义务将此事通知我和您。 |
[31:50] | There is no such obligation in either case law or statute. | 在判例法或者条例中都没有这种义务要求。 |
[31:54] | What about fundamental fairness? | 那么最基本的公正性呢? |
[31:57] | Your honor, over 90% of all criminal cases | 法官大人,超过九成的刑事案件通过认罪交易解决。 |
[31:59] | are resolved by plea bargains. | 法官大人,超过九成的刑事案件通过认罪交易解决。 |
[32:01] | To work, the whole system has to be based on trust. | 这全部体系要基于诚信基础上才能发挥作用。 |
[32:04] | Mr. Lowe and Mr. Walsh violated that trust. | Lowe先生和Walsh先生违背了这种诚信。 |
[32:07] | The system is doing fine, Ms. Dole, | Dole女士,这套体系运转得很好。 |
[32:09] | and the right man is behind bars where he belongs. | 那家伙进监狱是去对地方了。 |
[32:12] | Perhaps what’s really going on here is | 也许现在实际上的问题在于Dole女士担心她自己的作为。 |
[32:14] | Ms. Dole’s concerned about her own actions. | 也许现在实际上的问题在于Dole女士担心她自己的作为。 |
[32:16] | I didn’t know I was negotiating with liars. | 我不知道我是在和骗子进行谈判。 |
[32:18] | I object to that. | 我对你这么说表示反对。 |
[32:19] | You’re a liar. Ms. Dole… | -你就是个骗子。 -Dole女士。。。 |
[32:21] | They care more about railroading people than doing justice. | 他们更关心的是对人施压逼迫,而不是追求正义。 |
[32:23] | Martin Jenks is in jail right now for something he didn’t do. | Martin Jenks此刻正因 他没有做过的事情而身陷囹圄 |
[32:27] | That fact doesn’t seem | 地区检察官似乎对此心安理得。 |
[32:28] | to bother the D. A.’s office. It should bother this Court. | 但这个法庭应该感到不安。 |
[32:31] | It bothers the Court | 使法庭不安的是你强迫你的当事人接受认罪协议 |
[32:32] | that you forced your client to enter a guilty plea. | 使法庭不安的是你逼迫你的当事人接受认罪协议 |
[32:34] | I persuaded him, thinking that — You said “forced.” | -我说服了他,想想看。。。 -是你自己说的“强迫” |
[32:36] | Let me talk. | 别打岔。 |
[32:52] | We make our decisions, | 是我们做的决定, |
[32:54] | and — and, yes, we… force our clients’ hands | 而且。。。而且,没错,我们。。。 |
[32:58] | based on the case they have — | 不管检方是否尽责,我们基于案情进展 |
[33:00] | whether they can make their burden. | 强迫我们的当事人做出表态。 |
[33:04] | This case was a lie, | 这个案子就是一个谎言, |
[33:06] | a knowing lie, | 一个难以预料的谎言。 |
[33:08] | which my client relied on to his detriment. | 我的当事人信了这个谎言而受到了损害。 |
[33:29] | Did I lose it? | 我失控了吗? |
[33:30] | A little. | 有点吧。 |
[33:31] | But I think you did fine. | 但我觉得你做得很好。 |
[33:34] | Hopefully your passion… | 希望你的激情能受到重视。。。 |
[33:38] | will count. | 希望你的激情能受到重视。。。 |
[33:41] | He said 20 minutes. | 法官说他二十分钟做出决定。 |
[34:01] | As far as the police are concerned, | 就警方而言,他们还是没有证据。 |
[34:03] | there’s still no evidence. | 就警方而言,他们还是没有证据。 |
[34:04] | Which there wouldn’t be ’cause I’m innocent. | 他们不会有的,因为我本来就是无辜的。 |
[34:06] | Right. | 那是。 |
[34:07] | What about the status of the lottery winnings? | 彩票中奖奖金的情况呢? |
[34:10] | Your wife’s estate can still make a claim. | 你妻子的遗产还是可以提出声索的。 |
[34:13] | Do you want me to follow up on that? | 你要我来办吗? |
[34:14] | No. | 不用。 |
[34:16] | Think I might engage new counsel, just the same. | 我想我应该照样新雇一个律师。 |
[34:20] | So, I guess we’re done, then. | 那么,我想我们完事了。 |
[34:23] | Done? You still owe me the 27, Jimmy. | 完事了?你还是欠我二万七呢,Jimmy |
[34:26] | Didn’t exactly work that off. | 你没有完全解决这个问题。 |
[34:28] | I think we’re done, Sid. | 我想我们完事了,Sid |
[34:30] | If I was in a position to be charitable, | 如果我能好善施德的话 |
[34:33] | that would be one thing, | 那就是一回事了, |
[34:34] | but I got debts to pay off. | 但我也有债务要还。 |
[34:38] | What do you say you walk out the door, | 你免了我欠的债, |
[34:40] | forget my debt, and I’ll forget | 我也当没听见过你威胁要杀了你老婆, |
[34:44] | how you threatened to kill your wife? | 你的意下如何? |
[34:46] | Privileged. | 那是属于律师当事人保密范畴的。 |
[34:48] | Bodily threats don’t apply to — | 人身伤害威胁不属于。。。 |
[34:50] | So, why didn’t you blow your whistle? | 那么,你为什么不去揭发呢? |
[34:55] | If you thought I was going to hurt her | 如果你认为我要伤害她而你却保持沉默, |
[34:57] | and you stayed quiet, | 如果你认为我要伤害她而你却保持沉默, |
[34:59] | that doesn’t look good for you, does it? | 对你也不好,对吗? |
[35:03] | You want to know how big your gambling jones is, Jimmy? | Jimmy,你想知道你的赌瘾有多大吗? |
[35:06] | You didn’t want to hear it as a real threat | 你不想把那当成真正的威胁 |
[35:08] | because you wanted to pay off those bets. | 是因为你也想偿清你的债务。 |
[35:13] | The truth is, I got more on you than you got on me. | 事实上,我对你的了解比你对我的了解还多。 |
[35:21] | I’m asking you to get out of this office now. | 我要你现在就离开这间办公室。 |
[35:25] | You’re making me upset. | 你让我很不爽。 |
[35:29] | From what you’ve seen, do I respond to stress good? | 以你的观察,我不爽了会有什么反应? |
[35:32] | You’re threatening me now? | 你现在是在威胁我吗? |
[35:39] | Of course not. | 当然不是了。 |
[35:48] | I will say this. | 我要说的是。 |
[35:52] | You don’t even know what you’re into. | 你根本不明白你在干什么。 |
[35:57] | I need that money. I’ll give you a week. | 那笔钱我要定了,我会给你一周的时间。 |
[36:18] | Close the door, please. | 请关上门。 |
[36:22] | We’re doing this in here | 我们在这里谈是因为我想说的一些话不能公开。 |
[36:23] | because some of what I want to say is off the record. | 我们在这里谈是因为我想说的一些话不能公开。 |
[36:26] | Actually, it’s our office policy | 实际上,按我们的规矩要有一个法庭记录员在这里。。。 |
[36:28] | that a Court reporter be present for — | 实际上,按规矩要有一个法庭记录员在这里。。。 |
[36:30] | Mr. Lowe, I don’t really care at this moment | Lowe先生,现在我一点也不在乎你们的规矩。 |
[36:32] | about your office policy. | Lowe先生,现在我一点也不在乎你们的规矩。 |
[36:36] | We’re fine without a Court reporter, Your Honor. | 我们对没有记录员没什么意见,法官大人。 |
[36:41] | Mr. Walsh, I’ve known you a long time, | Walsh先生,我认识你很久了, |
[36:44] | and I’ve known you to be a straight shooter. | 而且我认为你是一个刚直公正的人。 |
[36:46] | But I am very troubled by the due process implications | 但我对于此事可能对诉讼程序造成的影响 |
[36:50] | of what happened here. | 感到十分不安。 |
[36:51] | Your honor, this defendant committed a violent — Save it. | -法官大人,被告承认了暴力。。。 -省省吧。。。 |
[36:55] | There are no reporters present, | 这儿没有记录员, |
[36:56] | and I don’t need to hear your stump speech. | 我不需要听你演讲。 |
[37:00] | Then we’ll submit on our prior argument | 那么我们将提出我们先前的主张 |
[37:03] | and again ask this Court to deny | 并再次要求法庭否决被告撤回认罪协议的动议。 |
[37:05] | defendant’s motion to withdraw his plea. | 并再次要求法庭否决被告撤回认罪协议的动议。 |
[37:08] | Fine. | 好啊。 |
[37:11] | I brought you in here, Mr. Walsh and Mr. Lowe, | 我让你们来这儿,Walsh先生和Lowe先生, |
[37:14] | rather than embarrass you in public, | 而不是当众让你们难堪, |
[37:17] | because I wanted to tell you | 是因为我想告诉你们 |
[37:18] | that there is something more important | 有比案件的审理更重要的事情。 |
[37:19] | than the mere holding of a case. | 有比案件的审理更重要的事情。 |
[37:22] | I am talking about fair and unfair, | 我在说的是公平和不公, |
[37:24] | right and wrong, | 正确和错误, |
[37:26] | and what happened in this case is wrong. | 发生在这个案子上的事是错误的。 |
[37:30] | And it sickens me that you two can’t see that. | 你们两个对此视而不见使我感到厌恶。 |
[37:39] | Everything I said in Court, and I mean everything, | 我在法庭上说的每一句话,我指的是所有的, |
[37:43] | was a correct statement of the law. | 都是正确的法律陈述。 |
[37:46] | And since we’re off the record, | 既然我们是非公开的。 |
[37:47] | let me just say frankly | 让我坦率地说吧 |
[37:49] | that I don’t need lectures from Your Honor | 我不必听法官就有关什么是对什么是错的讲座 |
[37:51] | about right and wrong. | 我不必听法官就有关什么是对什么是错的讲座 |
[37:53] | Mr. Jenks pled guilty | Jenks先生认了罪 |
[37:54] | because he is guilty, and neither the law | 是因为他就是有罪, |
[37:57] | nor anybody’s misplaced sense of injustice | 不管是法律还是任何人受到不公正待遇的错觉 |
[37:59] | allows him to withdraw that plea. | 都不能允许被告撤回认罪协议。 |
[38:02] | That’s the law. | 这才是法律。 |
[38:07] | The law also allows me to throw your ass in a cell | 法律还允许我把你因藐视法官而扔进监房。 |
[38:11] | for contempt. | 法律还允许我把你因藐视法官而扔进监房。 |
[38:13] | I don’t mean to show Your Honor disrespect, | 我不是故意不尊重你, |
[38:15] | but I will remind Your Honor | 但我要提醒法官大人, |
[38:17] | that district attorneys are officers of the Court | 地区检察官是必须要遵循既定法律的司法工作人员。 |
[38:20] | who must conduct themselves in accordance | 地区检察官是必须要遵循既定法律的司法工作人员。 |
[38:22] | with established law. | 地区检察官是必须要遵循既定法律的司法工作人员。 |
[38:24] | Mr. Lowe and I did that, | Lowe先生和我就是这么做的, |
[38:26] | and we don’t need to be brought into chambers | 我们不应被带到内庭来听你说 |
[38:28] | to be told how we sicken you. | 你是多么地厌恶我们的。 |
[38:30] | Say it out there, where you’ll be held accountable. | 当庭说吧,那样你会被责任的。 |
[38:34] | I am saying it here. | 我现在是在这儿说。 |
[38:44] | And if I had a choice, I would set aside this plea, but。。。 | 如果我有得选的话,我会取消这个认罪协议,但是, |
[38:48] | Your honor, please. | 法官大人,拜托。 |
[38:51] | I cannot throw out a knowing and voluntary plea of guilty | 我无法基于以下事实否决掉出于自愿的认罪协议。 |
[38:55] | on these facts. | 我无法基于以下事实否决掉出于自愿的认罪协议。 |
[38:56] | You negotiated what you thought was a good deal. | 你通过协商得到了你以为是合算的交易。 |
[38:59] | You could have advised your client | 你本可以告诉你的客户继续上庭审理, |
[39:01] | to continue with the trial, | 你本可以告诉你的客户继续上庭审理, |
[39:03] | challenge the evidence. You didn’t. | 质疑证据。但你没有这么做。 |
[39:05] | The law doesn’t allow you to benefit from regret. | 法律不允许你从后悔中获益。 |
[39:09] | It is my regret as well. | 这也是我的遗憾。 |
[39:12] | I am very sorry. | 我很抱歉。 |
[39:18] | Defendant’s motion is denied. | 被告的动议被驳回。 |
[40:00] | Lindsay. | |
[40:04] | I respect that it’s an adversary process, | 我认同这是个对抗机制, |
[40:07] | but I didn’t come to you as an adversary. | 但我不是作为一个对手来找你的。 |
[40:09] | I dropped my sword and asked for a favor, | 我屈就求你帮忙, |
[40:11] | and you played it like a favor. | 而你好像是施以恩惠。 |
[40:13] | That isn’t gamesmanship, Alan. | Alan,这不是比赛的策略。 |
[40:15] | It was dishonest. You know it, I know it. | 这是不诚实,你知道,我也知道。 |
[40:18] | I gather you can live with it. | 我估计你能对此心安理得。 |
[40:19] | There’s an innocent kid in prison who may not. | 但监狱里那个无辜的孩子可能做不到。 |
[40:38] | All right, I’m gone. | 好了,我要走了。 |
[40:42] | Can you lock up? | 你来锁门? |
[40:43] | Sure. | 没问题。 |
[40:47] | Can I ask you something, Jimmy? | Jimmy,我能问一下吗? |
[40:50] | Did he do it? | 是他干的吗? |
[40:53] | Oh, come on. Privilege extends to me. | 噢,说吧,我也要遵守保密特权的。 |
[40:57] | Throw me a bone. | 透露点吧。 |
[40:59] | He says he didn’t. | 他说不是他干的。 |
[41:01] | Right. | 那还用说。 |
[41:09] | Earth to Jimmy. | 醒醒神儿,Jimmy |
[41:13] | Are you okay? | 你没事吧? |
[41:14] | Yeah. I’ll lock up. | 没事,我会锁门的。 |
[41:18] | Good night. | 晚安。 |
[41:19] | Night. | 晚安。 |
[41:50] | They’re coming to take you to Concord. | 他们要带你去Concord |
[41:53] | It’s a high-security prison. | 是一座高安全等级的监狱。 |
[41:55] | Tonight? | 今晚? |
[41:57] | Yeah. | 对。 |
[42:00] | Everybody convicted of a violent crime | 所有被判犯了暴力罪的都先送到那儿 |
[42:02] | goes there first. | 所有被判犯了暴力罪的都先送到那儿 |
[42:06] | I’m going to petition the department of corrections | 我会恳请惩治局把你尽快转走。 |
[42:08] | to move you as soon as possible. | 我会恳请惩治局把你尽快转走。 |
[42:11] | Oh. | 哦 |
[42:13] | I’m also going to ask them to designate you | 我还会要求他们把你归入弱势囚犯中。 |
[42:15] | a vulnerable inmate. | 我还会要求他们把你归入弱势囚犯中。 |
[42:19] | Okay. | 好。 |
[42:20] | It may take a while. | 这会花一点时间, |
[42:22] | In the meantime, I’ve requested | 同时,我已经要求他们对你单独拘禁。 |
[42:24] | that they keep you in solitary, | 同时,我已经要求他们对你单独拘禁。 |
[42:27] | but I can’t guarantee they’ll do it. | 但我不敢保证能行。 |
[42:32] | I’ll get another lawyer to handle your appeal, | 我会请另一个律师来处理你的上诉, |
[42:35] | a specialist, the best I can find. | 我能找到的最好的一个专家。 |
[42:38] | I’ll ask him to argue that I was ineffective, | 我会让他说我是无效辩护, |
[42:42] | that you had inadequate legal representation. | 也就是你没有得到足以胜任的法律代理。 |
[42:46] | It’s a long shot but worth a try. | 希望渺茫但值得一试。 |
[42:49] | We can’t give up. | 我们不能放弃。 |
[42:52] | Just stay alive in there. Give me time. | 好好活着,给我些时间。 |
[42:55] | I’ll do whatever it takes to fix this. | 我会不惜一切代价来解决这个问题。 |
[42:58] | The appellate process takes time, | 上诉程序需要时间, |
[43:00] | but I trust it. | 但我相信它。 |
[43:04] | I’ll start on our briefs tomorrow. | 我明天就会开始做案情摘要。 |