时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:04] | How can this be happening?! | 怎么会发生这样的事? |
[00:07] | Miguel, the victim’s wife | Miguel,受害人的妻子指认你是凶手。 |
[00:09] | identifies you as the killer. | Miguel,受害人的妻子指认你是凶手。 |
[00:11] | The DA’s gonna listen. | 地区检察官将会认同的。 |
[00:12] | And you being the fiancee, | 而你作为未婚妻, |
[00:14] | they’ll tend not to believe your alibi. | 他们倾向于不相信你提供的不在现场证明。 |
[00:16] | We need to talk about the plea deal. | 我们需要讨论一下认罪协议了。 |
[00:24] | Do you believe I’m innocent? | 你们相信我是无罪的吗? |
[00:26] | It’s not important what we believe. | 我们信不信并不重要。 |
[00:29] | It’s important to me. | 这对我很重要。 |
[00:30] | Miguel? Yes, we know they have the wrong man. | Miguel?我们相信你,我们知道他们弄错了。 |
[00:39] | The deal the DA offered– it’s 11 years, right? | 地区检察官提出的条件是。。。服刑11年,对吗? |
[00:43] | No, Miguel. I’m just asking. | – 不,Miguel – 我只是问问。 |
[00:44] | No, I’m not letting you go away 11 years | 不,我不能让你含冤离开我11年。 |
[00:47] | for a crime you didn’t do. | 不,我不能让你含冤离开我11年。 |
[00:49] | Miguel… I think we can win this. | Miguel。。。我认为我们能打赢官司。 |
[00:53] | I really do. | 我确实这么想的。 |
[00:56] | Are you still with me? | 你听明白了吗? |
[01:01] | Okay. | 好的。 |
[01:03] | What do you mean you can’t win? | 你说赢不了是什么意思? |
[01:05] | I didn’t say I can’t. | 我没说我赢不了。 |
[01:07] | I’m saying it will be difficult– | 我是说会很难。。。 |
[01:09] | I saw him, Helen. I was there. | Helen,我看到他了,我就在现场。 |
[01:11] | Understood. | 我明白, |
[01:12] | And the integrity of your word aside, | 抛开你的说法的可信性不谈, |
[01:14] | eyewitness testimony’s not a lock, | 目击证人的证词并不是可以一锤定音的。 |
[01:16] | especially when it stands alone, which it does here. | 尤其是只有一个目击证人的话,目前就是这个情况。 |
[01:20] | What are you suggesting? | 你的建议是什么? |
[01:22] | Well, they turned down 11. I’d like to go back with eight. | 好吧,他们拒绝了11年刑期的提议,我想提出八年。 |
[01:24] | Eight years? | 八年? |
[01:26] | For murder? | 对于谋杀罪? |
[01:27] | It takes him off the street. | 这可以把他关起来了 |
[01:29] | My husband’s life was worth more than eight years. | 我丈夫的生命价值可不止八年。 |
[01:32] | Emily, it’s not about measuring your husband’s life. | Emily,这不是在衡量你丈夫的生命价值。 |
[01:35] | It’s about ensuring that the man who shot him, in fact, | 准确地说,这是为了确保那个开枪杀他的人, |
[01:38] | goes to prison. | 被送进监狱。 |
[01:40] | I want him in prison forever. | 我要他永远呆在监狱里。 |
[01:45] | Okay. | 那好吧。 |
[01:46] | I said I’d let it be your call. | 我说过我会让你拿主意。 |
[01:49] | So we’ll go to trial. | 那么我们就要上庭了 |
[02:47] | You promised me you’d stop shoplifting. | 你答应过我不再去商店偷东西了。 |
[02:49] | I didn’t boost nothing! I’m innocent this time! | 我啥也没偷,这次我是无辜的! |
[02:53] | You’re innocent? Yes! | – 你是无辜的? – 对 |
[02:54] | You had the stereo in your coat! | 你外套里夹着一个随身听! |
[02:55] | That was a present for my mom’s birthday. | 那是给我妈的生日礼物。 |
[02:59] | How can it be stealing if it’s for someone else? | 如果是送给别人的,怎么能算上是偷呢? |
[03:01] | Okay, that’s a defense we’re not putting on. | 好了,这条辩护理由我们不能拿出来。 |
[03:03] | Look, I gave it back. | 听着,我还回去了。 |
[03:09] | So, what– what am I looking at? | 那么,我会怎么样? |
[03:12] | They are charging you | 他们根据惯窃犯条例对你提起指控。 |
[03:14] | under the common and notorious thief statute. | 他们依照惯窃犯条例对你提起指控。 |
[03:18] | Is that bad? | 这很糟吗? |
[03:19] | It’s very bad. | 非常糟。 |
[03:21] | It means the penalties go way up. | 这意味着惩罚会变重。 |
[03:25] | Let me try to plead you out. | 让我去试试认罪减刑。 |
[03:27] | I have a good relationship with the DA. | 我和地区检察官关系不错。 |
[03:29] | Maybe I can get you six months. | 或许我能帮你争取到六个月刑期。 |
[03:32] | Six months? | 六个月? |
[03:33] | Maynard, if we lose at trial, the max is 20 years, | Maynard,如果我们庭审输掉了,最多可以判你20年。 |
[03:38] | and I don’t know how we can win! | 而我不知道咱们怎么才能赢! |
[03:49] | All right. | 那好吧。 |
[03:50] | This is an hour before the murder. | 这是谋杀案发前一个小时 |
[03:52] | The store’s a block from the crime scene. | 这家商店离案发现场一个街区。 |
[03:55] | We were interested | 我们对此关注是因为对枪手的描述是 |
[03:56] | because the shooter was described as a male Hispanic, | 男性拉美裔,二十岁出头,穿黑色夹克。 |
[03:59] | early 20s, dark jacket. | 男性拉美裔,二十岁出头,穿黑色夹克。 |
[04:01] | We used credit-card records to track this man down. | 我们用信用卡记录追查到这个男人。 |
[04:05] | HELEN: Do you see him in the room? | 你在法庭上看到这个人了吗? |
[04:06] | Yes. He’s the defendant. | 是的,就是被告。 |
[04:08] | Right there. Miguel Havalera. | 就在那儿,Miguel Havalera。 |
[04:11] | Then what happened? | 然后呢? |
[04:13] | We spoke with Mr. Havalera. | 我们约谈了Havalera先生。 |
[04:14] | He gave us an alibi, but we were not convinced. | 他给我们提供了不在现场证明,但没能让我们信服。 |
[04:17] | So we had Mr. Havalera stand in a lineup for Mrs. Coyne. | 所以我们让Havalera先生由Coyne夫人进行队列指认, |
[04:21] | HELEN: Based on what Mrs. Coyne told you, | 根据Coyne夫人的指认, |
[04:23] | what did you do next? | 你们接下来做了什么? |
[04:25] | We arrested Mr. Havalera for the murder of Trevor Coyne. | 我们以谋杀Trevor Coyne的罪名逮捕了Havalera先生。 |
[04:30] | The lineup was a full two months after the murder. | 队列指认是在谋杀发生后整整两个月了。 |
[04:33] | That’s correct. | 没错。 |
[04:34] | And before the lineup, | 在队列指认前, |
[04:36] | you told Mrs. Coyne you had a suspect– | 你告诉Coyne夫人说你们抓到了一个嫌犯。。。 |
[04:39] | did you not, Detective? | 不是吗,警探? |
[04:40] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[04:41] | So, it’s likely she had an expectation | 那么,很可能是她有了一个你们已经抓对人的预期。 |
[04:44] | that you had the right man in custody. | 那么,很可能是她有了一个你们已经抓对人的预期。 |
[04:46] | Objection. The witness has no foundation on the expectations– | 反对。证人没有产生这种预期的根据。。。 |
[04:49] | Sustained. | 反对有效。 |
[04:51] | Detective… are you aware of the study | 警探先生。。。你知道有研究表明 |
[04:53] | showing how easily witness recollections | 证人的记忆是多么容易地被操纵影响吗? |
[04:56] | can be manipulated? | 证人的记忆是多么容易地被操纵影响吗? |
[04:57] | I’m aware of studies going both ways, counselor. | 律师,我知道的是研究都是具有两面性的。 |
[05:00] | Have you read the Cardozo Law School study | 你读到过Cardozo法律学校的研究表明 |
[05:03] | showing that 65 of 77 wrongful convictions | 在过去十年里,在77件翻案中有65件 |
[05:07] | overturned in the last decade | 是由于目击证人的错误导致的吗? |
[05:09] | resulted from eyewitness mistakes? | 是由于目击证人的错误导致的吗? |
[05:12] | Objection. Mr. Berluti is now giving testimony. | 反对,Berluti先生现在是自己在作证。 |
[05:14] | Sustained. Ask questions, counsel, | 反对有效,请提问题,律师,不要提供答案。 |
[05:17] | don’t provide answers. | 反对有效,请提问题,律师,不要提供答案。 |
[05:18] | Detective, you have no physical evidence | 警探先生,你没有与我的当事人相关联的实物证据 |
[05:21] | connecting my client to this crime. | 警探先生,你没有与我的当事人相关联的实物证据 |
[05:24] | Isn’t that right? No fingerprints, | 不对吗?没有指纹, |
[05:26] | murder weapon, DNA? | 凶器,DNA测试结果? |
[05:28] | That’s correct. | 是的。 |
[05:31] | I don’t think he hurt us too bad. | 我认为他对我们没太大的威胁。 |
[05:33] | The key will be her, the eyewitness. | 关键是她,目击证人。 |
[05:35] | You ready? As ready as I can be, I guess. | – 你准备好了? – 我想是尽可能准备好了。 |
[05:37] | Mr. Berluti… Ms. Dole. | Berluti先生。。。Dole女士。 |
[05:39] | Yes? | 你是? |
[05:40] | I was in the Courtroom just then. | 我刚才在法庭里。 |
[05:42] | It’s a hobby of mine. I’m a Court buff. | 这是我的业余爱好。我是个法庭迷。 |
[05:45] | I was curious– do you think you’ll win this? | 我很好奇。。。你们认为会赢吗? |
[05:48] | I’m sorry. You are…? | 不好意思,你是? |
[05:50] | Michael Crane. I’m a Minister | Michael Crane,我是个牧师。 |
[05:51] | with the First Presbyterian Church in Jamaica Plain. | 是在牙买加平原的首座长老会教堂。 |
[05:54] | If I hadn’t gone into the clergy, | 如果我没有成为神职人员的话, |
[05:55] | I think I would have opted for law school. | 我想我会选择进法学院的。 |
[05:58] | I love monitoring big cases, | 我喜欢跟踪大案件, |
[05:59] | and homicides are always quite fascinating. | 而凶杀案总是最吸引人的。 |
[06:02] | I was just wondering | 我就是想知道 |
[06:04] | whether you think you can get an acquittal here. | 你们是否认为可以在这个案子获得无罪判决。 |
[06:06] | Well, I’m sorry, Reverend, | 这个,抱歉,神父大人。 |
[06:08] | but we don’t really discuss our cases with anybody. | 我们不太会和别人讨论我们的案子。 |
[06:11] | Of course. | 当然可以。 |
[06:13] | Well, good luck to you both, anyway. | 那好吧,不管怎样,祝你们俩好运 |
[06:15] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[06:19] | Come on, Ellenor. Collared three times in six months– | 算了吧,Ellenor,六个月里抓了他三次。。。 |
[06:22] | my heart’s not exactly bleeding. | 我还没到同情心泛滥的程度。 |
[06:23] | Minor shoplifting beefs. | 不过是在商店偷了点牛肉。 |
[06:25] | We’re getting pressured upstairs to make some examples. | 上司正给我施压要抓几个典型。 |
[06:27] | Well, just don’t make one of Maynard Parrish. | 那好吧,但只要别拿Maynard Parrish开刀。 |
[06:29] | His biggest crime is being stupid. | 他最大的罪过就是太傻了。 |
[06:31] | He’s a sweet kid! | 他是个可爱的小伙子! |
[06:32] | Yes, I know, they’re all sweet. | 是的,我知道,他们都够可爱的。 |
[06:34] | Do I tell you they’re sweet? | 你是跟我说他们可爱吗? |
[06:35] | Come on. | 拜托了。 |
[06:38] | Our relationship has to count for something. | 咱们的友谊总是值点什么吧。 |
[06:42] | Come by my office. | 到我办公室来吧。 |
[06:43] | I’ll see if we can work something. | 我会考虑一下是不是能想个办法。 |
[06:44] | You see? Now you’re sweet. | 你会考虑?现在你很可爱哦。 |
[06:46] | And that I will stand by. | 我做好准备的。 |
[06:48] | Yeah, yeah, yeah. | 好吧,好吧。 |
[06:52] | We finished dinner around 9:30. | 我们九点半吃完晚饭。 |
[06:55] | We were walking to our car… | 我们向我们的车走过去。。。 |
[06:58] | when a man ran across the street. | 这时一个人横穿马路。 |
[07:01] | Right towards us. | 直向我们过来。 |
[07:03] | I noticed he had a gun. | 我注意到他拿着一把枪 |
[07:05] | He asked for our wallets, jewelry. | 他要我们交出钱包,珠宝。 |
[07:09] | What happened next, Mrs. Coyne? | Coyne夫人,然后发生了什么? |
[07:11] | Trevor took a step in front of me. | Trevor向前一步挡在我的前面。 |
[07:15] | Probably didn’t even realize he’d done it. | 他这样做甚至可能是下意识的。 |
[07:19] | Then what happened? | 然后呢? |
[07:20] | I heard a shot. | 我听到了一声枪响。 |
[07:24] | And I saw fire shoot out of the gun. | 我看到了从枪口喷出的火光。 |
[07:28] | And I was covered with blood. | 我身上溅满了血。 |
[07:34] | And I heard Trevor scream. | 听到了Trevor发出尖叫。 |
[07:36] | What did your attacker do? | 袭击你们的人呢? |
[07:38] | He stood there, like he was frozen for a few seconds. | 他站在那儿,好像是呆住了几秒钟。 |
[07:43] | (sniffs) And then he ran off. | 然后他跑掉了。 |
[07:46] | Mrs. Coyne, did you get a good look at his face? | Coyne夫人,你看清他的脸了吗? |
[07:49] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[07:50] | He was only about ten feet away. | 他离我只有大约十英尺远。 |
[07:53] | Do you see in the courtroom today | 你今天在法庭上看到了枪击你丈夫的那个人吗? |
[07:55] | the man who shot your husband? | 你今天在法庭上看到了枪击你丈夫的那个人吗? |
[07:57] | That’s him. | 就是他。 |
[08:00] | The defendant. | 被告 |
[08:01] | Are you positive? | 你肯定吗? |
[08:03] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[08:04] | That’s the man. | 就是这个人。 |
[08:06] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[08:16] | It was dark? | 当时天很黑吧? |
[08:17] | There were street lamps. | 那里有路灯。 |
[08:19] | How far away was the nearest street lamp, do you know? | 离最近的路灯有多远,你知道吗? |
[08:21] | Thirty feet or so. | 差不多三十英尺。 |
[08:23] | The police say 50 feet. | 警方的说法是五十英尺。 |
[08:25] | There was enough light for me to see, Ms. Dole. | Dole女士,那样的光线足以让我看清了。 |
[08:27] | You saw, for example, the type of gun your assailant was carrying? | 比如说,你看到了行凶者所持的枪支类型吗? |
[08:30] | Very clearly. | 看得很清楚。 |
[08:32] | A small pistol, silver, | 一把小手枪,银色的, |
[08:34] | with a black handle. | 黑色手柄。 |
[08:36] | Do you remember what he was wearing? | 你记得他的穿着吗? |
[08:37] | A dark jacket and jeans. | 一件黑夹克和牛仔裤。 |
[08:40] | How long did it take from the time you first saw your assailant to the time he ran? | 从你第一眼看到行凶者到他跑开,有多长时间? |
[08:44] | Probably…ten, 15 seconds. | 可能。。。十秒,十五秒。 |
[08:47] | You said you had blood on you, as well? | 你说过你身上也溅上了血? |
[08:49] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[08:50] | Were you scared? | 你害怕吗? |
[08:51] | It was that man. | 就是他。 |
[08:52] | Are you sure? | 你确定吗? |
[08:54] | I don’t need to think about it. | 我不需要去考虑。 |
[08:56] | That’s him. | 那就是他。 |
[08:57] | Mrs. Coyne, I’m confused, | Coyne夫人,我有些困惑, |
[08:59] | because in the police lineup, | 因为在警方队列指认时, |
[09:01] | you did need time to think about it. | 你是花了时间去考虑的。 |
[09:03] | You studied those men for almost a minute. | 你站在那些人前面差不多一分钟。 |
[09:07] | Are you saying your recollection is sharper now | 你是说现在你的记忆力比六个月前更清晰了吗? |
[09:09] | than it was six months ago? | 你是说现在你的记忆力比六个月前更清晰了吗? |
[09:10] | I took the extra time because I wanted to be positive. | 我额外多花了些时间是因为我想更有把握。 |
[09:14] | Mrs. Coyne, I want to lay out a scenario for you, | Coyne夫人,我想向你描述一个场景, |
[09:16] | and you tell me if it’s possible, okay? | 然后你告诉我是否有可能性,好吗? |
[09:18] | Fine. | 可以。 |
[09:19] | You were brought to a police lineup, | 你被带到警察局进行队列指认, |
[09:21] | having been told the police had the man who shot your husband. | 你已经被告知警察抓到了枪击你丈夫的人。 |
[09:25] | So when they brought the men out, | 所以当警方把人带出来的时候 |
[09:26] | you felt one of those men was the guy. | 你感到这些人中有一个就是凶手。 |
[09:30] | You sellet on my client after a minute | 你看了一分钟后最终选定了我的当事人 |
[09:32] | because he looks the most like the guy. | 因为他最像那个凶手。 |
[09:35] | Today, you identify him quickly. | 今天,你非常快地指认了他。 |
[09:36] | Not necessarily because he’s the man you saw | 不见得是因为他是你在街上看到的持枪者, |
[09:38] | on the street with the gun, but because he’s the man | 而是因为他是那个你在警方指认队列里看到的人。 |
[09:41] | you saw that day in the police lineup. | 而是因为他是那个你在警方指认队列里看到的人。 |
[09:44] | Possible? No. | – 有这种可能吗? – 没有。 |
[09:45] | Not even possible? | 一点可能可没有吗? |
[09:47] | No. | 没有。 |
[09:49] | He’s the man who shot my husband. | 他就是枪击我丈夫的那个人。 |
[09:51] | Were you told to be unequivocal up here? | 你是否被告知要在作证的时候态度坚决? |
[09:54] | No. | 没有 |
[09:57] | Did you tell the police the shooter had a goatee? | 你告诉警察说枪手有山羊胡子是吗? |
[10:00] | No. I didn’t remember that part. | 不,我不记得我说过。 |
[10:02] | You didn’t remember? | 你不记得了? |
[10:05] | You could describe the gun, the clothes, | 你能描述枪和衣着, |
[10:06] | but you couldn’t remember if the shooter had facial hair? | 但你记不得枪手脸上是否有胡子? |
[10:09] | Look… he shot my husband! | 听着。。。他枪杀了我的丈夫! |
[10:13] | You make room for no possibility whatsoever | 你丝毫没有弄错了的可能性。 |
[10:15] | that you could be wrong. | 你丝毫没有弄错了的可能性。 |
[10:17] | Is that your testimony, Mrs. Coyne? | Coyne夫人,这是你做出的证言,是吗? |
[10:19] | Yes. | 对。 |
[10:22] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[10:24] | You certainly weren’t equivocal here. | 你自然不会对此含糊其辞的。 |
[10:38] | Mitchell, we’ve been friends a long time. | Mitchell,我们做了很长时间的朋友了。 |
[10:41] | I’m the first one to admit that most of my clients are scum. | 我是第一个坦承我的大多数当事人是渣滓的人 |
[10:43] | I even complain about it. | 我甚至为此发牢骚。 |
[10:45] | The kid needs a break. | 这孩子需要个机会。 |
[10:47] | And what do I tell my superiors? | 那我怎么跟上司解释呀? |
[10:50] | That you did the right thing. | 就说你做了正确的处理。 |
[10:52] | Look, if he gets caught again, | 听着,如果他再犯事, |
[10:54] | I promise you, I will not fight you on it. | 我向你保证,我不会跟你争的。 |
[10:56] | But this time, please. | 但这次,拜托了。 |
[10:59] | Ellenor… | |
[11:01] | he is saying he didn’t realize the stereo was under his jacket. | 他说他没有意识到夹克下面有个随身听。 |
[11:04] | I mean, he’s a liar! | 我的意思是,他是个骗子。 |
[11:05] | He was boosting it for his mother. | 他为他母亲偷的, |
[11:07] | He wanted to get her a present! | 他想给她弄个礼物1 |
[11:09] | Mitchell, come on! | Mitchell,好了吧! |
[11:10] | I’m going to the favor bank here. | 我打算给你些好处。 |
[11:11] | I will give you anything. | 什么我都可以为你做。 |
[11:14] | Anything? | 什么都可以? |
[11:16] | Well, why do you say it like that? | 你这话说得怎么怪怪的? |
[11:18] | What do you want? | 你想要什么? |
[11:20] | Take off your shirt. | 把上衣脱了。 |
[11:23] | Very funny. | 你真逗。 |
[11:24] | Come on. | 好了吧。 |
[11:27] | I can’t help you. I wish I could. | 我希望帮你,但我不能, |
[11:33] | Were you serious just then… | 你说这话是当真的吗。。。 |
[11:35] | when you asked me to take off my shirt? | 让我脱掉上衣? |
[11:39] | Mitchell, were you? | Mitchell,是吗? |
[11:42] | Ellenor… | |
[11:44] | …we go way back. | 。。。我们是老交情了。 |
[11:47] | But you don’t know everything about me. | 但你并不是完全了解我。 |
[11:49] | Such as? | 比如说? |
[11:52] | I’m attracted to you. | 我被你迷住了。 |
[11:57] | You’re married. | 可你已经结婚了。 |
[11:58] | I know. I– | 我知道,我。。。 |
[12:00] | I would never cheat on Margie. | 我决不会欺骗Margie的。 |
[12:02] | I mean, not with an affair. | 我是说,不是指婚外情。 |
[12:05] | My heart belongs to her. | 我的心是属于她的。 |
[12:07] | But, uh… | 但是,呃。。。 |
[12:10] | fun, little… | 找些乐子,少许的。。。 |
[12:13] | …excursions. | 。。。尝试一下。 |
[12:16] | Excursions? | 尝试一下? |
[12:19] | I can’t really give your Parrish kid a break. | 我不太能给你那个Parrish小伙子一次机会。 |
[12:22] | But if something between you and me were to happen, well… | 但如果我们之间有点什么,呃。。。。 |
[12:30] | to avoid the appearance of impropriety… | 避免不恰当的行为。。。 |
[12:33] | I’d try to be especially… | 我会特别努力地。。。 |
[12:37] | …fair. | 做到公正。 |
[12:41] | So if I have sex with you, you’ll cut a deal? | 那么说,如果我和你做爱,就能达成交易? |
[12:43] | I’m shocked that you would get that impression, | 我很惊讶你会得出这样的印象, |
[12:48] | however accurate it might be. | 不管这印象有多准确。 |
[12:59] | He offered it like that? Quid pro quo? | 他是那样提出来的吗?作为交换条件? |
[13:02] | Well, he said he would be especially fair. | 他说他会特别的做到公正。 |
[13:04] | If you had sex? Yes. | – 如果你和他做爱? – 是的。 |
[13:07] | How was it? | 怎么样呀? |
[13:09] | What– what should I do? | 我。。。我应该怎么办? |
[13:12] | Ellenor… you can’t take that deal. | Ellenor。。。你不能接受这个交易。 |
[13:14] | Thank you. Besides that sterling tip… | 多谢你的建议。可惜那份丰厚的小费了。。。 |
[13:16] | I had a case with him once. He didn’t ask me for sex. | 我曾经和他打过一次官司。他并没有要求我做爱。 |
[13:19] | So how did you leave it? | 那是怎么收场的? |
[13:20] | I was so stunned, I just– I walked out. | 我太震惊了,我只是。。。就那么出来了。 |
[13:24] | Well, I would first make sure he knows | 那好,我首先会确定他明白你没有接受这个条件。 |
[13:26] | you didn’t accept the offer. | 那好,我首先会确定他明白你没有接受这个条件。 |
[13:30] | Lucy…call him. | Lucy。。。拨他的电话。 |
[13:32] | Don’t have to. | 没必要了。 |
[13:33] | That was him. He’s on his way over. | 这就是他打的电话,他现在就过来。 |
[13:41] | Me and Miguel rented this video– Big. | 我和Miguel租了盘录像带。。。 |
[13:44] | We took the bus back to my house. | 我们坐公交到我的住处。 |
[13:47] | We started watching it at 9:00. | 我们是九点开始看的。 |
[13:49] | What time did it end? | 什么时候结束的? |
[13:51] | Around 11:00 or so. | 差不多11点。 |
[13:52] | Christina, did Miguel leave your side at any point | Christina, 在5月14日当晚, |
[13:56] | during the evening of may 14th? | Miguel有过离开你身边的时候吗? |
[13:59] | No. He was with me the whole time. | 没有,他一直跟我在一起。 |
[14:02] | I swear. | 我发誓。 |
[14:04] | And you’re absolutely positive about that? | 你对此绝对有把握? |
[14:06] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[14:08] | You’re engaged to be married to the defendant? | 你和被告订婚了? |
[14:10] | That’s right. | 是的。 |
[14:11] | And you love him very much? | 你很爱他是吗? |
[14:13] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[14:14] | Would you lie to give him an alibi? | 你会为了给他提供不在现场证明而撒谎吗? |
[14:16] | No. | 不会。 |
[14:17] | Did you call your cousin Martina Bell | 你在5月14日晚上给你的表妹Martina Bell |
[14:20] | on the evening of May 14th | 你在5月14日晚上给你的表妹Martina Bell |
[14:21] | and ask her to join you for dinner? | 打电话要她和你一起吃晚饭吗? |
[14:23] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[14:25] | And did you tell her | 你告诉她你的未婚夫晚上会出去吗? |
[14:26] | that your fiancee would be out for the evening? | 你告诉她你的未婚夫晚上会出去吗? |
[14:29] | I thought he was, but then he came home unexpected. | 我以为他是要出去,但随后他出人意料地回家了。 |
[14:33] | He came home unexpected. | 他出人意料地回家了。 |
[14:36] | Did anyone else besides you | 除你之外还有人在当晚8-11点 |
[14:39] | see him at your apartment that evening | 在你的公寓看到过他吗? |
[14:41] | between the hours of 8:00 and 11:00? | 在你的公寓看到过他吗? |
[14:43] | I don’t know. | 我不知道。 |
[14:45] | When the police showed up at your apartment that evening, | 当晚警察到你公寓时, |
[14:47] | your fiance hid in the closet, didn’t he? | 你的未婚夫藏在壁橱里,不是吗? |
[14:50] | Well… | 这个。。。 |
[14:53] | He thought it was other people banging on the door. | 他以为是别人在敲门。 |
[14:56] | And… I just thought it would look bad | 而且。。。我只是觉得如果我告诉警察他在壁橱里, |
[14:59] | if I told the police that he was in the closet, | 这会看起来很不好。 |
[15:02] | and so I just said no one else was home. | 于是我就说家里没有别人。 |
[15:05] | You lied. | 你撒谎了。 |
[15:05] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[15:07] | You lied to help your fiance. | 你撒谎去帮助你的未婚夫。 |
[15:09] | I shouldn’t have, but I did. | 我本不应该这样,但我确实是撒谎了。 |
[15:12] | But you’re not lying today? | 而你今天没有撒谎吗? |
[15:13] | That’s right. | 对。 |
[15:20] | I think we’re gonna have to call you. | 我想我们必须要传你出庭。 |
[15:21] | I thought you said it was dangerous. | 我以为你说那是很危险的。 |
[15:24] | It is…very. But… | 的确是。。。很危险,但是。。。 |
[15:28] | Christina, you didn’t come off so credible just then. | Christina, 你刚才表现得不太可信。 |
[15:32] | And we have to account for why you jumped in the closet. | 我们必须要解释为什么你躲进壁橱里。 |
[15:34] | I was hiding from dealers. | 我是在躲避毒贩。 |
[15:36] | I understand. | 我明白。 |
[15:38] | But to the jury right now, | 但此刻对于陪审团来说, |
[15:40] | it just looks like you were hiding. | 这看起来你就是在躲藏。 |
[15:43] | We need to call you. | 我们需要传你出庭。 |
[15:58] | I’m suddenly thinking… we should take the 11 years. | 我突然想。。。我们应该接受11年刑期的条件。 |
[16:01] | It’s still one eyewitness, Jimmy. | 还是只有一个目击证人,Jimmy |
[16:03] | An eyewitness that held tough, | 一个非常坚决的目击证人。 |
[16:05] | and when the jury hears about Miguel’s prior– | 而当陪审团了解到Miguel的前科。。。 |
[16:07] | You think it’s too risky calling him? | 你觉得传他出庭太冒险了? |
[16:13] | Does he strike you as a Court buff? | 他给你的印象是一个庭审爱好者吗? |
[16:16] | No. | 不是。 |
[16:25] | Reverend… still enjoying the trial? | 神父大人。。。还在享受庭审的乐趣吗? |
[16:27] | Yes. | 是呀。 |
[16:28] | What’s your objective opinion? How are we doing? | 你的客观意见是什么?我们情况怎么样? |
[16:31] | Not so well, really. | 不太好,真的。 |
[16:33] | The fiancee seemed like she was protecting him. | 看起来她是在保护未婚夫。 |
[16:35] | You might be right. | 你可能是对的。 |
[16:38] | Could I ask you one more thing? Sure. | – 我能再问你一个问题吗? – 当然可以。 |
[16:40] | Why do I get the feeling you’re not a disinterested bystander? | 为什么我有种感觉,你不是那种随意的旁观者? |
[16:43] | I’m not disinterested. I told you. | 我并不随意,我告诉过你的。 |
[16:45] | You’re a buff. (chuckles) | 你是个爱好者。 |
[16:47] | What do you know, Reverend? | 你知道些什么吗,神父大人? |
[16:50] | You look a little anxious in that room. | 你在法庭里看起来有些焦虑。 |
[16:53] | Like you have a stake. | 好像你有利害关系在其中。 |
[16:54] | What do you know? Nothing. | – 你知道些什么? – 没什么。 |
[16:58] | I’ll tell you this– | 我告诉你。。。 |
[16:59] | if our case goes any further south, | 如果我们的案子情况不妙的话, |
[17:01] | we might just subpoena you… on a whim. | 我们可能会突发奇想,传你出庭。 |
[17:03] | That would be ridiculous. | 那真是太荒唐了。 |
[17:05] | Somehow I don’t think so. | 不知怎么的,我可不这么想。 |
[17:06] | You’re here because you know something. | 你来这儿是因为你知道些什么。 |
[17:10] | I think you need to talk to us, Reverend. | 神父大人,我认为你应该告诉我们。 |
[17:12] | Thank you, but you’re wrong, and I need to get back. | 谢谢你,但你弄错了,我要回去了。 |
[17:16] | Please let go of me, Mr. Berluti. | 请让我走吧,Berluti先生。 |
[17:18] | The process server will be at your Church | 治安官会拿着出庭传票在教堂等着你的。 |
[17:21] | waiting with the summons. | 治安官会拿着出庭传票在教堂等着你的。 |
[17:23] | Talk to us. | 跟我们说吧。 |
[17:28] | Suppose what I know doesn’t help you. | 要我说,我所知道的对你们不利。 |
[17:31] | At this point, we’re willing to take that risk. | 在这一点上,我们宁愿冒这个风险。 |
[17:35] | Not here. | 别在这儿说。 |
[17:38] | Let’s go to a witness room. | 我们去证人室。 |
[17:39] | No. Not anywhere here. | 不,这里哪儿都不行。 |
[17:46] | Go buy us some time. | 去给我们争取些时间。 |
[18:03] | I am extremely sorry for my inappropriate behavior. | 我对我的不当行为深表歉意。 |
[18:07] | I’m going through some… | Ellenor,我在家里遇到了一些个人问题,而且。。。 |
[18:08] | personal problems at home, Ellenor, and… | Ellenor,我在家里遇到了一些个人问题,而且。。。 |
[18:12] | well, I apologize. | 总之,我道歉。 |
[18:16] | Okay. | 好吧。 |
[18:17] | Obviously, any deal predicated on a sexual relationship is wrong, | 显然,任何基于性关系的交易都是错误的,特此撤回。 |
[18:22] | and hereby off the table. | 显然,任何基于性关系的交易都是错误的,特此不再讨论。 |
[18:25] | I’m very upset that I even threw it out there. | 我竟然提出这样的要求,我感到非常懊丧。 |
[18:29] | Well, let’s start again, then. | 好吧,那我们重新开始吧。 |
[18:33] | As I said, Maynard Parrish is not a career criminal. | 如果我说,Maynard Parrish不是一个职业罪犯。 |
[18:36] | I wish I could help you. | 我希望我能帮到你。 |
[18:37] | But as I said, we’ve got our marching orders on this statute. | 但也如我所言,我们得到了要对这个法令严格执行的指示。 |
[18:40] | Which means what, you’re gonna push for the 20? | 那意味着,你们要争取判他20年? |
[18:42] | I could sell ten upstairs, but nothing less. | 我能让上司同意判十年,但不会再少了。 |
[18:45] | Ten is ridiculous, and you know it! | 十年太荒唐了,你是知道的! |
[18:48] | I don’t know what else to tell you. | 我不知道还能跟你说什么了。 |
[18:53] | You know, Mitchell, I’m getting the sickening feeling | 你知道的,Mitchell,我现在有种恶心的感觉。 |
[18:56] | that your offer wasn’t pulled because of conscience, | 你撤回交易条件不是因为出于公道,而是因为我没有努力争取。 |
[18:59] | but because I wouldn’t go for it. | 你撤回交易条件不是因为出于公道,而是因为我没有努力争取。 |
[19:00] | Well… you would be wrong there. | 这个。。。你应该是想错了。 |
[19:04] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[19:06] | I want the six months. | 我要求六个月刑期。 |
[19:07] | We never had a deal. | 我们谈不拢的。 |
[19:09] | I want the six months. | 我要六个月的刑期。 |
[19:11] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉。 |
[19:13] | I think any favorable deal | 我认为到这一步,不会有什么优惠条件的。 |
[19:16] | would be met with suspicion at this point, | 我认为到这一步,不会有什么优惠条件的。 |
[19:18] | and I’m just gonna play this straight. | 这个案子我会公事公办的。 |
[19:19] | Straight? Or punitive? | 公事公办?是刻意惩罚吧? |
[19:22] | Ten years is it, Ellenor. | 就是十年刑期,Ellenor |
[19:25] | And suppose… | 假如。。。 |
[19:29] | sex was not off the table. | 有关性的那事被提出来。 |
[19:33] | I’ll say it again. | 我要再说一遍。 |
[19:35] | Ten years is it. | 就是十年刑期。 |
[19:47] | First… | 首先。。。 |
[19:49] | what I say has to be privileged. | 我说的话必须是要保密的。 |
[19:51] | We can’t promise that. | 我们不能保证。 |
[19:53] | Then you get nothing. | 那你们啥也得不到。 |
[19:54] | I think conscience brought you down to that Courthouse. | 我想是出于良知使你去法庭的。 |
[19:58] | I think conscience is the reason you’re here now. | 也是出于良知我们才会在这里谈。 |
[20:02] | I want this discussion to be privileged. | 我希望这次谈话是被保密的。 |
[20:06] | That’s the only way it’ll be. | 只有这样才行。 |
[20:09] | Okay. | 那好吧。 |
[20:11] | And now, speaking to my attorneys… | 现在,我在对我的律师说。。。 |
[20:14] | my problem is… | 我的问题的是。。。 |
[20:18] | …one of my congregants killed Mr. Coyne. | 。。。我教堂的一个教徒杀了Coyne先生。 |
[20:22] | He came to me under the seal | 他来找我, |
[20:24] | of a conversation with his Minister… | 在和他的牧师进行的保密谈话中。。。 |
[20:27] | …and admitted his crime. | 。。。承认了他的罪行。 |
[20:31] | And his guilt was compounded | 他的负罪感因有人代他受过而加重。 |
[20:33] | by the idea of an innocent man | 他的负罪感因有人代他受过而加重。 |
[20:35] | being wrongly convicted. | 他的负罪感因有人代他受过而加重。 |
[20:39] | I’ve been monitoring the trial on his behalf. | 我一直代他来跟踪审理的进展。 |
[20:43] | He told me if it appears your client faces conviction… | 他跟我说如果你的当事人看起来要被定罪。。。 |
[20:49] | …he might be willing to come forward. | 。。。他可能会愿意主动承认。 |
[20:54] | That’s all I’m at liberty to say. | 我被允许说的就这么多了。 |
[20:57] | Please, convey to your congregant… | 请转告你的教徒。。。 |
[21:01] | Miguel Havalera is facing a conviction. | Miguel Havalera就要背叛有罪了。 |
[21:16] | You have to go to the Judge. | 你必须要去找法官。 |
[21:17] | And say what? He pulled the offer. | 说什么呢?说他撤回了提议。 |
[21:19] | But, Ellenor, your suspicion is he’s now taking a harder line. | 但是,Ellenor,你怀疑他现在采取了更强硬的态度。 |
[21:23] | He is, but I don’t know whether he’s being punitive, | 他是的,但我不清楚是否具有惩罚意味。 |
[21:26] | or if he’s simply determined to be ethical | 或者他因为感到难堪而就决定遵守职业操守。 |
[21:28] | because he’s so embarrassed. | 或者他因为感到难堪而就决定遵守职业操守。 |
[21:29] | Either way the client suffers. | 这两者都是你的当事人受害。 |
[21:30] | The guy comes on to you, you rebuff the advance, | 这家伙想吃你的豆腐,你一口回绝了他的示好, |
[21:32] | and as a result the client’s getting a lesser deal. | 所以结果就是你得当事人得到了更差的条件。 |
[21:36] | You have to report that. | 你必须要去举报这事。 |
[21:37] | Mitchell Wheeler is my friend. | Mitchell Wheeler是我的朋友。 |
[21:39] | We have known each other for years. | 我们认识好多年了。 |
[21:41] | Friends don’t put friends in that position. | 是朋友就不会把朋友置于那种境地的。 |
[21:44] | I’m also friends with his wife. | 我也还是他太太的朋友。 |
[21:46] | If this gets out, Bobby, people are going to be hurt. | 如果这事泄露出去,Bobby,大家都会受到伤害。 |
[21:49] | Ellenor, as an officer of the Court, | Ellenor,做为一个法庭人员。 |
[21:51] | you have an ethical obligation to report him. | 你有道德上的义务去举报他。 |
[21:54] | Please, Eugene, don’t “officer of the Court” me on this. | 拜托了,Eugene,这事上别把我称为“法庭人员” |
[21:56] | You have knowledge of a DA putting sex on the table in plea bargains. | 你已经知道他会在认罪交易中跟性扯上关系。 |
[22:00] | If he did it here, | 如果他这次这么干了, |
[22:02] | the likelihood is he’s done it before, and he will do it again. | 可能他以前也这么干过,而且他还会再干。 |
[22:05] | I doubt it. But even if you’re right, | 我表示怀疑,但即使你是对的。 |
[22:08] | let somebody else report him. I’m his friend. | 让别人去举报他吧,我可是他的朋友呀。 |
[22:11] | Ellenor, if the client is getting hurt, | Ellenor,如果当事人利益受到损害, |
[22:14] | you can’t sit on it. | 你不能坐视不理。 |
[22:25] | He’s not coming forward. | 他不会来主动承认了。 |
[22:27] | But you said– I thought he would. | - 但你说过。。。 - 我以为他会的。 |
[22:29] | He said he would, but he changed his mind. | 他说过,但他改主意了。 |
[22:32] | He doesn’t want to go to prison. | 他不想进监狱。 |
[22:38] | Reverend, assuming we can clear hearsay problems, | 神父,假如我们能解决传闻证据的限制, |
[22:42] | would you be willing to testify– | 你愿意出来作证。。。 |
[22:43] | Absolutely not. | 绝对不会。 |
[22:45] | We need you now. Our kid’s going down. | 我们现在需要你,我们的当事人要完蛋了。 |
[22:48] | What he told me was the equivalent of a confession, Mr. Berluti. | Berluti先生,他对我说的话就相当于忏悔 |
[22:52] | Even so, the consequences– | 即便如此,这样的后果。。。 |
[22:53] | I won’t do it. | 我不能这样做。 |
[22:58] | In that case… | 在这种情况下。。。 |
[23:00] | For you. | 给你的。 |
[23:02] | What? It’s a subpoena. | - 这是啥? - 一张传票。 |
[23:05] | I’m really sorry, but– | 非常对不起,但是。。。 |
[23:06] | Mr. Berluti… | |
[23:08] | Ms. Dole… | |
[23:11] | If I were to betray this confidence… | 如果我背弃信任。。。。 |
[23:15] | I’d lose my job… | 我会失业的。。。 |
[23:18] | …my Church. | 。。。我的教堂 |
[23:21] | I must plead with you now. | 我现在必须要恳求你们了。 |
[23:23] | I don’t feel good about what we’re doing here, Reverend, but– | 我对我们现在的作为感觉很不好。牧师,但是。。。 |
[23:27] | I tried to help you. If you make me testify– | 我尽力帮助你们,如果你们逼着我作证。。。 |
[23:31] | You have information | 你有可以使我的当事人免于定罪的信息。 |
[23:32] | that could exonerate my client of murder. | 你有可以使我的当事人免于定罪的信息。 |
[23:36] | We have no choice here but to call you. | 我们对此别无选择,只能传你出庭。 |
[23:43] | Ten years?! | 十年啊?! |
[23:45] | I’m working on it. | 我正在处理。 |
[23:46] | Working on it?! You said, “six months”! | 正在处理?!你说过的,“六个月”! |
[23:48] | Maynard– What’s going on?! – Maynard。。。 | – 怎么回事呀?! |
[23:49] | Don’t panic. Don’t– No, you don’t panic! | – 别慌。别。。。 – 你是不慌! |
[23:52] | I’m the one that’s facing prison! | 我才是那个要去坐牢的! |
[23:54] | I’m on it, Maynard. | Maynard,我正在办。 |
[23:58] | Ellenor… | |
[24:02] | What the hell’s going on? | 这到底是咋了? |
[24:05] | Just let me work on it. | 就让我来办吧。 |
[24:15] | Even if you could force him to testify, | 即使你能强迫他作证, |
[24:17] | it would all be hearsay. | 那也会是传闻证据。 |
[24:19] | Your Honor could force him to reveal | 法官大人你能强迫他透露枪手的身份,那就不是传闻证据了。 |
[24:20] | the identity of the shooter. That’s not hearsay. | 法官大人你能强迫他透露枪手的身份,那就不是传闻证据了。 |
[24:22] | But if he’s claiming privilege– | 但如果他声称那是享有保密特权的。。。 |
[24:24] | I don’t think it is privileged. | 我不认为是的。 |
[24:26] | He’s not a Catholic priest. This wasn’t a confession. | 他不是天主教的神父。这不算是忏悔。 |
[24:29] | We treat all communications with clergy pretty much the same, counsel. | 我们对待所有与神职人员的交流的态度几乎都是一样的,律师。 |
[24:32] | If it’s for spiritual guidance. I don’t think this qualifies. | 那是针对寻求精神指引的情况而言, 但我认为本案不符合那种情况。 |
[24:36] | Look, nobody here wants the wrong man convicted of murder. | 听着,没有人希望谋杀定罪出错。 |
[24:39] | Let’s question him outside the presence of the jury | 让我们在陪审团不在场的情况下盘问他, |
[24:42] | and see what turns up. | 看看会发生什么。 |
[24:43] | Nobody can have a problem with that. | 没人能对此提出反对。 |
[24:51] | Are you trying to extort me, Ellenor? | 你是要讹我吗,Ellenor? |
[24:53] | I’m telling you that I have an obligation | 我跟你说的是,我有义务去揭露发生的事情。 |
[24:56] | to reveal what happened. | 我跟你说的是,我有义务去揭露发生的事情。 |
[24:57] | Nothing happened. | 什么事也没发生。 |
[24:58] | Mitchell, you put something in play. | Mitchell,你扯进一些事进来。 |
[25:00] | You know you did. | 你清楚你做了。 |
[25:01] | I revoked it before it was in play. | 我在其产生影响前就撤回了。 |
[25:03] | I’m offended by your attempt at blackmail, | 我对你企图敲诈我感到很不舒服, |
[25:05] | and I will not make deals under the duress– | 我不会在胁迫下做交易的。。。 |
[25:07] | I have to defend my client. | 我必须要为我的当事人辩护 |
[25:09] | Not that way, you don’t. | 不是那样的, 你不是。 |
[25:11] | All rise. This Court is now in session. | 请起立,现在开庭。 |
[25:14] | The honorable Judge Kittleson presiding. | 由尊敬的Kittleson法官主持。 |
[25:18] | Any business before we bring in the jury? | 在召陪审团入席之前,有什么需要处理的吗? |
[25:20] | No, Your Honor, the Commonwealth is ready for trial. | 没有,法官大人,州检已经做好庭审准备了。 |
[25:23] | Ms. Frutt? | Frutt女士? |
[25:26] | Is defense ready, Ms. Frutt? | Frutt女士,辩方准备好了吗? |
[25:38] | Your Honor, regretfully I have to report some misconduct | 法官大人,很遗憾, |
[25:41] | committed by Mr. Wheeler, | 我不得不举报Wheeler先生的一些不当行为 |
[25:43] | which misconduct has affected the disposition of this case. | 那些不当行为影响了本案的处理 |
[25:46] | What misconduct? | 什么不当行为? |
[25:49] | The district attorney sexually propositioned me last night, | 地方检察官昨晚向我提出性要求, |
[25:52] | suggesting a sentence of six months for my client. | 暗示可给我的当事人判六个月的刑期。 |
[25:55] | That proposition was rejected, | 那个提议被拒绝了, |
[25:57] | and with sex being removed from the equation, | 而当性要求被从对等条件中移除后, |
[25:59] | Mr. Wheeler’s offer went up to ten years. | Wheeler先生的提议增加到十年刑期。 |
[26:05] | Mr. Wheeler, do you have a response? | Wheeler先生,你对此要做出回应吗? |
[26:11] | I don’t know what to say, Your Honor. | 我不知道说什么,法官大人。 |
[26:12] | I’m stunned. | 我被惊呆了。 |
[26:14] | Was sex put on the table | 性要求是作为控辩交易的一部分被提出了吗? |
[26:15] | as part of a plea bargain? | 性要求是作为控辩交易的一部分被提出了吗? |
[26:17] | Yes, it was put on the table. | 是的,提出来过。 |
[26:20] | By Ms. Frutt. | 是由Frutt女士提出来的。 |
[26:23] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? |
[26:24] | And I immediately rejected it. | 而我当即予以拒绝。 |
[26:26] | You’ve got to be kidding! | 你在开玩笑吧! |
[26:28] | Why don’t we take this to chambers. | 我们还是到内庭去吧。 |
[26:38] | He’s lying. Oh, I’m lying. | – 他撒谎 – 噢,我在撒谎。 |
[26:40] | Yes, you are, Mitchell. And you should be disgusted– | 对,你是在撒谎,Mitchell,你应令人作呕。。。 |
[26:42] | All right, that’s enough. | 好了,够了。 |
[26:43] | Ellenor. He’s lying! – Ellenor。 | – 他在撒谎! |
[26:45] | You can expect to be sued for defamation. | 你会因诽谤而被起诉。 |
[26:47] | And I’ll tell you that, because immunity– | 我告诉你,因为豁免。。。 |
[26:48] | Go ahead and sue me, Mitchell! | 去起诉我吧,Mitchell! |
[26:49] | I said, “all right.” | 我说了,“行了” |
[26:53] | I am not about to get into this. | 我不打算介入到这事里。 |
[26:55] | You should get into it. | 您应该介入。 |
[26:56] | This is one stunt too many for this firm. | 这是这家事务所众多绝技中的一种。 |
[26:58] | Mr. Wheeler, I’ll ask you for the last time to be quiet. | Wheeler先生,我最后一次要求你安静下来。 |
[27:04] | I don’t care who made the advance. | 我不关心谁先示好的。 |
[27:07] | You’re now officially off this case. | 你现在正式退出这个案子了。 |
[27:09] | Another DA Will be assigned, | 会安排另一个地区检察官。 |
[27:11] | and I’m advising both of you | 我要给你们俩提出忠告 |
[27:14] | to let this die now. | 就此打住。 |
[27:16] | I am not going to let this die! | 我不能就此打住! |
[27:17] | Mr. Wheeler, you’re excused. Beat it. | Wheeler先生,请原谅,回避一下。 |
[27:19] | If she’s gonna tell more untruths– | 如果她要接着撒谎。。。 |
[27:21] | She’s not. The matter is dead. | 她不会的。这事到此为止了。 |
[27:23] | Get out now. | 现在出去吧。 |
[27:31] | I am telling the truth. | 我说的是实话。 |
[27:34] | Ellenor, I’m inclined to believe you. | Ellenor,我倾向相信你。 |
[27:38] | But trust me when I advise you– let this drop. | 我劝你的时候你要相信我。。。让这事过去吧。 |
[27:42] | How can I when– | 我怎么能。。。 |
[27:44] | Because his reputation is far superior to yours. | 因为他的名声比你的好得多。 |
[27:49] | Truth be told, there’s been a little gossip | 说实话,在这个圈子里有点 |
[27:51] | in these halls about your romantic desperation. | 关于你在爱情方面陷入绝望的流言蜚语 |
[27:57] | I beg your pardon? | 请再说一遍? |
[27:58] | You dated a serial killer who liked to dress up as a nun. | 你和一个喜欢打扮成修女的连环杀手约会过。 |
[28:03] | You don’t think the clerks and DAs had some fun with that? | 你不觉得办事员和检察官们会将此引为笑谈吗? |
[28:07] | And a few Judges? | 是不是还包括几个法官? |
[28:08] | Your firm is also infamous for stunting. | 你的事务所也是以耍花招儿而闻名。 |
[28:12] | Here you’ve got a client dead to rights facing ten years. | 而现在你有一个面临十年服刑的当事人。 |
[28:15] | And you think that I would resort | 你认为我会求助于编造这种故事? |
[28:16] | to making up this kind of story?! | 你认为我会求助于编造这种故事? |
[28:18] | No, I don’t. | 不,我没有这样想。 |
[28:20] | But, frankly, Mitchell Wheeler’s credibility | 但是,坦率地说,Mitchell Wheeler的信誉比你好。 |
[28:23] | is stronger than yours. | 但是,坦率地说,Mitchell Wheeler的信誉比你好。 |
[28:24] | And any game of “he said, she said” will favor him. | 而任何那种各执一词的游戏会对他有利。 |
[28:31] | He’s also a good-looking man. | 何况他还长相英俊。 |
[28:34] | Meaning? | 你的意思是? |
[28:37] | Meaning let it drop. | 让这事过去吧。 |
[28:40] | Don’t do any more cases with him. | 别再和他一起办案子。 |
[28:56] | Reverend, you’re a material witness in a homicide. | 神父,你是一起凶杀案的关键证人。 |
[29:00] | I’m ordering you to testify. | 我命令你作证。 |
[29:02] | I’m sorry, Your Honor, I cannot. | 对不起,法官大人,我不能。 |
[29:05] | What was told to me was told in strict confidence. | 那些对我说的话是绝对保密的。 |
[29:08] | I have duties imposed on me that come from higher places | 我背负着来自比您地位更高处的责任。 |
[29:11] | than your bench. | 我背负着来自比您地位更高处的责任。 |
[29:12] | The Lord can’t throw you in a jail cell. I can. | 上帝不能把你扔进监狱,可以我能。 |
[29:15] | Well, then you’ll have to. | 那好吧,看来你得这么做了。 |
[29:17] | Leaving aside identity, | 抛开身份不说, |
[29:19] | did a man come to you | 有人但不是Miguel Havalera来找你承认杀了Trevor Coyne吗? |
[29:21] | and confess to killing Trevor Coyne– | 有人但不是Miguel Havalera来找你承认杀了Trevor Coyne吗? |
[29:23] | a man other than Miguel Havalera? | 有人但不是Miguel Havalera来找你承认杀了Trevor Coyne吗? |
[29:25] | I’m not talking, Ms. Dole. | 我不能说,Dole女士。 |
[29:26] | Reverend– What about my privilege? | – 神父。。。 – 我的保密特权呢? |
[29:28] | I’m sitting in this chair right now | 我现在被摁在证人席, |
[29:30] | because those lawyers revealed my privilege. | 是因为这些律师泄露了我受特权保护的信息。 |
[29:32] | Reverend, obviously you’ve agonized over | 神父,显然你对何为正确的做法而苦恼。 |
[29:35] | what the right thing is to do here. | 神父,显然你对何为正确的做法而苦恼。 |
[29:37] | Otherwise… | 要不然这样。。。 |
[29:39] | Without telling me who… | 不用说出是谁。。。 |
[29:43] | …did a man other than Miguel Havalera | 。。。是不是有别人承认杀了Trevor Coyne? |
[29:45] | confess to killing Trevor Coyne? | 。。。是不是有别人承认杀了Trevor Coyne? |
[29:50] | Please. | 请说吧。 |
[29:52] | You can reveal that. | 这一点你是可以透露的。 |
[30:02] | Yes, I received such a confession. | 是的,我接受到这样的忏悔。 |
[30:07] | Did he give any details– | 他对你说了什么细节。。。 |
[30:09] | I am not saying anything else. | 别的我什么都不能说。 |
[30:10] | I’ll go to my jail cell now. That’s all that I’m saying. | 现在把我关进去算了,我就说这么多了。 |
[30:15] | Okay, Reverend, you can step down. | 好吧,神父,你可以退席了。 |
[30:31] | I’d like to put him on the stand to say what he said here. | 我想让他上证人席,说出他在这里说的话。 |
[30:33] | I can’t let you, counsel. | 我不能允许,律师。 |
[30:34] | Your Honor– First of all, it’s hearsay. | – 法官大人。。。 – 首先,这是传闻证据。 |
[30:37] | We have no way of knowing if it’s reliable. | 我们不知道是否可信。 |
[30:40] | Plenty of nuts confess to crimes. | 许多疯子承认自己犯了罪。 |
[30:42] | It was his congregant. | 可那是他的教徒。 |
[30:44] | Obviously, he considered it reliable– | 显然,他认为那是可信的。。。 |
[30:45] | That’s not good enough for us. | 但对我们而言还不够。 |
[30:48] | Second, there’s totem pole privilege here– | 其次,这涉及到不同级别的保密特权。。。 |
[30:50] | the congregants, also the Ministers– | 教徒有,牧师也有。。。 |
[30:52] | the truth is you had no right to reveal what he told you. | 事实上你无权透露他对你说的话。 |
[30:55] | He hired you as his attorney. | 他可是雇了你当他的律师的。 |
[30:57] | Only as a pretext to shield what he had to say. | 那只是为了掩盖他必须要说出来的事情而找一个借口。 |
[31:00] | I can’t allow him to take the stand, counsel, and you know it. | 我不能允许他出庭作证,律师,这一点你懂的。 |
[31:05] | Your Honor, somebody else | 法官大人,有别人承认犯下这桩罪行, |
[31:07] | confesses to the crime, | 法官大人,有别人承认犯下这桩罪行, |
[31:08] | and the jury doesn’t get to know about it? | 而陪审团不能去知道吗? |
[31:10] | That’s right, Mr. Berluti. | 没错,Berluti先生。 |
[31:12] | And if you pull anything like you did | 如果你像上次对待那个患动脉瘤的男孩所做的 那样突施诡计的话。 |
[31:14] | with the boy with the aneurysm, | 如果你像上次对待那个患动脉瘤的男孩所做的 那样突施诡计的话。 |
[31:16] | your bar card will be gone. | 你的律师执照就会被没收。 |
[31:18] | That’s a promise from me to you. | 这一点我向你保证。 |
[31:21] | The jury will hear nothing of this Minister | 陪审团不会听到这个有关牧师或者忏悔的任何情况。 |
[31:24] | or any confession. | 陪审团不会听到这个有关牧师或者忏悔的任何情况。 |
[31:35] | You know I’m telling the truth. | 你是知道我说的是实话的。 |
[31:37] | I would never make something like this up. | 我绝对不会编造出那样的事情来。 |
[31:38] | Of course, I know it, but it doesn’t sound like Mitchell Wheeler either. | 我当然知道的,但听起来也不像是Mitchell Wheeler会那么做。 |
[31:42] | That’s all I’m saying. | 我能说的就是这些。 |
[31:43] | You actually have doubts? I believe you. | – 你还是有疑问? – 我相信你。 |
[31:45] | Well, clearly you’re not sure. | 显然你并不肯定。 |
[31:47] | Ellenor, I believe you. Now, listen– | Ellenor,我是相信你的,现在听好了。。。 |
[31:50] | I’ll get hold of the case. | 我来处理这个案子。 |
[31:51] | I can’t promise you six months, but I’ll take care of you, okay? | 我不能答应你六个月,但我会向着你的,好吗? |
[31:56] | Okay. | 好吧。 |
[31:57] | I won’t even demand a sexual favor. | 我甚至都不要你提供性贿赂。 |
[31:59] | I’m not laughing. | 我可笑不出来 |
[32:00] | I’m sorry. | 对不起。 |
[32:01] | Be patient. I’ll make it right. | 耐心点。我会纠正这件事的。 |
[32:03] | I got to get in Court. | 我要去上庭了。 |
[32:12] | You know, Mitchell… | Mitchell,你知道不。。。 |
[32:15] | The first thing you did was unethical. | 你最初做的事是不道德的。 |
[32:17] | But accusing me, that was despicable. | 而反咬我一口,那是令人厌恶的。 |
[32:20] | Ellenor… you need to get help. | Ellenor。。。你有病就要治。 |
[32:28] | I hid in the closet because I didn’t know it was the police. | 我躲进壁橱里,是因为我不知道来的是警察。 |
[32:33] | You thought they were– | 你以为他们是。。。 |
[32:35] | Drug dealers. | 卖毒品的。 |
[32:36] | I owe some money. | 我欠他们些钱。 |
[32:38] | I use from time to time. I admit that. | 我偶尔吸毒,这点我承认。 |
[32:41] | Mr. Havalera… | |
[32:43] | the night of the murder– | 凶杀案发当晚。。。 |
[32:45] | I was home the whole night. We rented a movie. | 我整夜都在家,我们租了电影录像带 |
[32:49] | We watched it. I was home. | 我们看了电影。我那时在家。 |
[32:52] | Do you own a gun, sir? | 先生,你是有一把枪吗? |
[32:54] | No, I have never owned a gun, I’ve never fired one, | 没有,我从来没有过枪,也从未开过枪。 |
[32:58] | and I did not shoot Trevor Coyne. | 我更没有枪杀Trevor Coyne。 |
[33:00] | I swear this. It was somebody else. | 我对此发誓,是别人干的。 |
[33:04] | You don’t just use from time to time. | 你不仅仅是偶尔吸毒。 |
[33:07] | You have a drug problem. | 你有毒瘾。 |
[33:08] | It’s under control now. | 现在我是可以控制住的 |
[33:12] | But you use. | 但你还是在吸毒。 |
[33:13] | Very rarely. | 很少。 |
[33:16] | You robbed a liquor store once. | 你曾经抢劫过一家酒类商店。 |
[33:17] | Isn’t that right? | 不是吗? |
[33:18] | Six years ago and not with a gun. | 六年前的事了,而且也没有用枪。 |
[33:21] | You lost your job three weeks prior to the shooting. | 你在枪击案发的三周前失业了。 |
[33:24] | Isn’t that correct? Yes. | – 不对吗? – 对。 |
[33:27] | Mr. Havalera… | |
[33:30] | other than your fiancee, | 除了你的未婚妻, |
[33:32] | do you have any alibi witness | 你是否有别的不在现场证人 |
[33:34] | who can account for your whereabouts | 能说明枪击案发当晚你在哪里吗? |
[33:36] | the night of the shooting? | 能说明枪击案发当晚你在哪里吗? |
[33:38] | No. | 没有。 |
[33:42] | The Minister has no reason to make it up, Emily. | 那个牧师没有理由去瞎编,Emily。 |
[33:45] | I don’t know who the congregant is. | 但我不知道那个教徒是谁。 |
[33:47] | Are you doubting now me? | 你现在是在质疑我吗? |
[33:49] | I’m asking you. | 我来问你。 |
[33:52] | Are you sure? | 你能确定吗? |
[33:55] | The truth is eyewitness testimony is manipulated. | 实际上目击证人的证词是可受到潜在控制的。 |
[33:58] | It happens all the time. | 这种情况不断发生。 |
[33:59] | Witnesses become convinced of suspects they see in lineups. | 目击证人对他们在指认队列里看到嫌犯会变得更加确信。 |
[34:03] | Trauma can affect memory. | 创伤会影响记忆的。 |
[34:05] | I remember his face, Helen. Why else– | 我记得他的脸,Helen。还有别的什么原因。。。 |
[34:09] | Because you saw it in a lineup. | 因为你是在指认队列里看到他的。 |
[34:11] | No. | 不是。 |
[34:12] | He’s it. | 就是他。 |
[34:14] | He’s the man. | 他就是那个人。 |
[34:17] | I know it. | 我知道的。 |
[34:19] | LINDSAY: He’s not the one. | 他不是那个凶手。 |
[34:21] | Does Emily Coyne think she saw my client that night? | Emily Coyne认为她那天晚上看到的是我的当事人吗? |
[34:24] | She probably does. | 她可能是那样认为的。 |
[34:25] | But she missed on facial hair, didn’t she? | 但她漏掉了胡子,不是吗? |
[34:28] | She described the gun, the clothes, | 她描述了枪和衣服。 |
[34:31] | but she missed an obvious facial description. | 但她漏掉了明显的脸部特征的描述。 |
[34:34] | And this gun, the clothes, | 而且从未发现我的当事人有那样的枪和衣服。 |
[34:36] | never found in the possession of my client. | 而且从未发现我的当事人有那样的枪和衣服。 |
[34:39] | The prosecution offers no witnesses | 控方无法提供曾经看到他穿过那样的衣服的目击证人。 |
[34:41] | who ever saw him wear the clothes described. | 控方无法提供曾经看到他穿过那样的衣服的目击证人。 |
[34:44] | No physical evidence, no forensics, | 没有实物证据,也没有法医证据。 |
[34:48] | nothing to link my client with this crime. | 没有任何证据能把我的当事人和这起犯罪联系到一起。 |
[34:52] | Just the testimony of the victim’s wife, | 仅有受害人妻子的证词, |
[34:54] | who had to be scared, | 而她当时一定是非常惊恐的, |
[34:56] | traumatized. | 精神受到创伤。 |
[34:59] | It was a dark night. | 那是一个漆黑的夜晚。 |
[35:01] | She’s mistaken. | 她弄错了。 |
[35:03] | Somebody else killed Trevor Coyne. | 是别的人杀了Trevor Coyne |
[35:06] | Maybe he looked like my client. | 或许长得像我的当事人。 |
[35:09] | But she is mistaken. | 但她还是弄错了。 |
[35:12] | She doesn’t think it was him. | 她不是“以为”是他。 |
[35:16] | She knows it. | 她确知是他。 |
[35:17] | She was there. | 她就在现场。 |
[35:20] | And she saw him– | 她看到了他。。。 |
[35:22] | the man with the drug history, | 这个人有吸毒史。 |
[35:25] | the man who robbed a liquor store, | 这个人抢劫过酒类商店。 |
[35:28] | the man who just lost his job and needed money, | 这个人刚刚失业急需用钱。 |
[35:33] | the man the police found hiding in the closet | 这个人在凶杀案发当晚被警察发现躲在壁橱里。 |
[35:36] | the night of the murder. | 这个人在凶杀案发当晚被警察发现躲在壁橱里。 |
[35:38] | Ladies and gentlemen… | 先生们女士们。。。 |
[35:41] | …we have an eyewitness | 。。。我们有一个目击证人 |
[35:43] | who actually saw him commit the murder. | 真真切切地看到他行凶。 |
[35:48] | What else could you possibly need? | 你们难道还需要别的什么吗? |
[35:57] | So, it’s all gonna work out. | 这么说,都会解决了。 |
[35:59] | I think so. Helen got custody of the case, | 我想是的。这案子归Helen管了。 |
[36:02] | so she’s gonna take care of it. | 她会处理好的。 |
[36:04] | So that’s great. | 那真好。 |
[36:05] | Yep. | 是呀。 |
[36:08] | But you don’t seem happy. | 但你看起来并不开心。 |
[36:12] | Well, I lost a friend this week. | 哎,我这周失去了个朋友 |
[36:15] | I can’t really celebrate that, can I? | 我总不能去庆祝吧,能吗? |
[36:19] | Is that all there is? | 全是因为这个吗? |
[36:24] | I don’t like not being believed, Rebecca. | 我不喜欢不被人信任,Rebecca |
[36:27] | I-I thought Judge Kittleson said | 我。。。我以为Kittleson法官说她是倾向于相信你的。 |
[36:29] | she was inclined to believe you. | 我。。。我以为Kittleson法官说她是倾向于相信你的。 |
[36:32] | Yes, she was inclined, | 是的,她是倾向于相信我, |
[36:33] | and Helen was inclined, | Helen也是, |
[36:35] | but nobody’s sure, and you know why? | 但没人完全相信我,你知道为什么吗? |
[36:37] | Because Mitchell Wheeler is a good-looking man, | 因为Mitchell Wheeler是个帅哥, |
[36:40] | and I’m the fat girl. | 而我是个肥妞。 |
[36:41] | It isn’t that, Ellenor. | 不能这么说,Ellenor |
[36:42] | It’s exactly that, Rebecca. Exactly that. | 确实如此,Rebecca,就是因为这个。 |
[36:45] | Why would a man like Mitchell Wheeler make a pass at me? | 为什么像Mitchell Wheeler这样的人会跟我调情? |
[36:48] | It’s exactly that. | 就是因为这个。 |
[36:51] | You know what Judge Kittleson said? | 你知道Kittleson法官说什么了吗? |
[36:53] | That my “romantic desperation” is fodder for gossip down there. | 说我的“对爱情的绝望”是那些流言蜚语的口实。 |
[36:59] | And when I had a baby using a sperm donor– | 而且当我用精子捐献的方式得到了个孩子。。。 |
[37:02] | well, that was because I had no choice, right? | 呵,那是因为我别无选择,对吧? |
[37:05] | I mean, what man would marry me? | 我的意思是说,谁会娶我? |
[37:07] | It couldn’t possibly be that I wanted to be a single parent. | 不可能是我想要成为单亲妈妈。 |
[37:11] | Before you spend the rest of the day feeling sorry for yourself, | 在你接下来自怨自艾一整天之前, |
[37:14] | remember you did get a good result for the client. | 要记住你确实为当事人争取到了好结果。 |
[37:17] | This will eventually be a victory. | 这最终会是一场胜利。 |
[37:19] | That’s another bigotry we face, Rebecca. | 这是我们面对的另一个偏执的看法,Rebecca |
[37:21] | What? | 是什么? |
[37:23] | People assume that fat girls just sit around | 人们总认为胖妞们只是躲在一边自怨自艾。 |
[37:26] | feeling sorry for themselves. | 人们总认为胖妞们只是躲在一边自怨自艾。 |
[37:27] | I’m not sitting here feeling sorry. I’m angry! | 我可不是这样的,我非常愤怒! |
[37:31] | Can you understand that? | 你能理解吗? |
[37:32] | I am angry! | 我很愤怒! |
[37:46] | What do you think? | 你在想什么? |
[37:47] | I don’t know. I think maybe– | 我不知道,我想也许。。。 |
[37:51] | I don’t know. | 我说不清。 |
[38:15] | Madam Foreperson, have you reached a verdict? | 陪审团主席女士,你们作出裁决了吗? |
[38:18] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人。 |
[38:19] | What say you? | 请宣布。 |
[38:21] | In the matter of Commonwealth vs. Miguel Havalera, | 马萨诸塞州诉Miguel Havalera二级谋杀罪, |
[38:24] | as to the count of murder in the second degree, | 马萨诸塞州诉Miguel Havalera二级谋杀罪, |
[38:28] | we the jury find the defendant, Miguel Havalera… | 陪审团裁定被告Miguel Havalera。。。 |
[38:31] | …guilty. | 。。。罪名成立。 |
[38:40] | JUDGE: Members of the jury, this completes your service. | 陪审团成员们,你们尽到了你们的义务。 |
[38:45] | This matter is– | 这个案子。。。 |
[38:52] | This matter– | 这个案子。。。 |
[38:58] | While I find | 虽然我认为是有些可以支持得出被告犯罪结论的证据, |
[38:59] | there is some evidence to allow for the conclusion | 虽然我认为是有些可以支持得出被告犯罪结论的证据, |
[39:02] | that the defendant committed the crime, | 虽然我认为是有些可以支持得出被告犯罪结论的证据, |
[39:06] | I find no reasonable jury | 但我也认为基于现有已呈现出的证据, |
[39:09] | could reach the verdict that it did | 但我也认为基于现有已呈现出的证据, |
[39:11] | based upon the evidence | 陪审团不能合理地得出被告有罪的裁决。 |
[39:12] | that has been presented to it. | 陪审团不能合理地得出被告有罪的裁决。 |
[39:16] | I hereby set aside the verdict and enter a finding… | 我特此撤销陪审团的裁决,并做出一个裁决。。。 |
[39:21] | …of not guilty. | 。。。罪名不成立。 |
[39:22] | The defendant is free to go. | 被告当庭开释。 |
[40:07] | It’s, uh, not right for a man to cry. | 这,呃,男人不应该哭。 |
[40:10] | I had to come in. | 我得躲进来。 |
[40:13] | I think, under the circumstances, | 我想,这种情况下, |
[40:16] | you can cry, Miguel. | 你可以哭,Miguel |
[40:19] | One day… | 总有一天。。。 |
[40:22] | …I will repay you, Mr. Berluti. | 。。。我会报答你的,Berluti先生。 |
[40:25] | Don’t worry about that. | 别想这些了。 |
[40:37] | You no doubt feel like a proud man, Mr. Berluti. | 你毫无疑问认为自己是个有尊严的人,Berluti先生。 |
[40:40] | But you’re not a proud man. | 但你不是。 |
[40:43] | You betrayed me. | 你背叛了我。 |
[40:44] | Reverend, when you came to the Courthouse, | 神父,当你走进法庭, |
[40:47] | it was because you had to. | 是因为你必须如此。 |
[40:50] | And that Judge’s ruling, | 而那个法官的裁决 |
[40:52] | it had everything to do with you coming forward. | 完全是因为你主动坦承。 |
[40:54] | I didn’t come forward. | 我不是主动坦承。 |
[40:56] | You dragged me forward, after pledging your secrecy. | 是你发誓保守秘密后,把我拽出来的。 |
[41:01] | I’m happy very for you, sir. | 我为你感到非常高兴,先生。 |
[41:05] | But you betrayed me. | 但是你背叛了我。 |
[41:16] | Jimmy, Miguel still has to check with probation | Jimmy,Miguel走之前还得去核查一下缓刑状态。 |
[41:18] | before he can leave. Okay. | 好的。 |
[41:28] | Oh, my God. | 噢,天啊。 |
[41:34] | Oh, my God. | 噢,天啊。 |
[41:38] | There was no congregant who confessed, was there? | 压根儿就没有什么做忏悔的教徒,是吗? |
[41:48] | You need to check with probation before you can go. | 你走之前得去核查一下缓刑状态。 |