时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | DEBORAH: They told me you were busy. Thanks for seeing me. | 他们告诉我你很忙。谢谢你见我。 |
[00:04] | It’s been a long time. | 已经很久没见了。 |
[00:06] | Five years. | 五年了 |
[00:08] | When you left the bank, I remember Bill saying | 你离开银行的时候,我记得Bill说 |
[00:10] | that you got a job in a law firm. | 你在一家律师事务所找了份工作 |
[00:12] | How is Bill? Is he okay? | Bill怎么样了?一切都好吗? |
[00:15] | No. | 不。 |
[00:16] | Jimmy, he’s not. | Jimmy,他境况不佳。 |
[00:19] | Please. | 请坐。 |
[00:22] | It started slow. | 开始是挺缓慢的。 |
[00:23] | He would forget things. | 他会忘事。 |
[00:26] | Like amnesia? | 像健忘症? |
[00:27] | No. He’s delusional. | 不,他有妄想症。 |
[00:31] | Bill’s schizophrenic. | 他是精神分裂症患者。 |
[00:34] | I’m sorry. | 我很难过。 |
[00:36] | He’s been like this for almost five years. | 他这样差不多有五年了。 |
[00:40] | I can’t care for him alone anymore. | 我再也不能一个人照顾他了。 |
[00:44] | There’s a home– a mental institution. | 有一个家庭。。。一个精神病院。 |
[00:48] | I put him there two years ago. | 两年前我把他安置在那儿。 |
[00:51] | Tell me how I can help. | 我能帮什么忙。 |
[00:53] | For the most part, he’s lived there without any problems, | 在大多数情况下,他住在那里没有任何问题, |
[00:56] | and then, about eight months ago, | 然后,大约八个月前, |
[01:00] | he fell out a window. | 他从窗户摔了出去。 |
[01:02] | He fell out a window? | 他从窗户摔了出去? |
[01:04] | On the seventh floor. | 从七楼。 |
[01:06] | Oh, my God. | 噢,天啊。 |
[01:07] | But he survived? DEBORAH: Yes. | – 但他活下来了? – 是的。 |
[01:10] | A canopy on the third floor broke his fall. | 三楼的一个雨棚挡了他一下。 |
[01:14] | That and a man named Edward Green. | 那时有个叫Edward Green的人。 |
[01:18] | Who? | 谁? |
[01:19] | An accountant who happened to be walking by the building. | 一个刚好路过大楼的会计师。 |
[01:23] | Bill landed on him and killed him instantly. | Bill掉下去当即砸死了他。 |
[01:28] | Bill’s being sued, Jimmy. | Jimmy,Bill被起诉了。 |
[01:30] | Me too. I’m his legal guardian. | 我也是。因为我是他的法定监护人 |
[01:32] | Deborah, if you need a lawyer, I’ll do whatever I can. | Deborah,如果你需要律师,我会尽我所能的。 |
[01:39] | He thinks he’s Superman. | 他认为自己是超人。 |
[01:41] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? |
[01:43] | My husband… | 我丈夫。。。 |
[01:45] | thinks that he is… | 觉得他自己是。。。 |
[01:46] | Superman. | 超人。 |
[01:50] | I’m not sure what to say to that. | 对此我都不知道该说什么。 |
[01:52] | I know it sounds absurd. But it’s not. | 我知道这听起来很荒谬,但不是的。 |
[01:55] | In his mind, he really believes it, Jimmy. | 他脑海中,他是真这么想的,Jimmy |
[01:59] | And what scares me– | 我害怕的是。。。 |
[02:01] | I don’t think he fell out that window. | 我觉得他不是从窗户摔出去的。 |
[02:05] | I think he was trying to fly. | 我觉得他是想飞。 |
[03:01] | I’ve got a hearing that day. | 那天我有个听证会。 |
[03:03] | So do I, and mine’s in Federal Court. | 我也有,而且我的是在联邦法庭。 |
[03:04] | We’re not making child-care decisions based on jurisdiction. | 我们又不是根据司法管辖权来决定谁带孩子。 |
[03:07] | Please, I need you to help me this one time. | 拜托,我需要你帮我这一次。 |
[03:11] | We need to find a new baby-sitter. | 我们需要找个新保姆。 |
[03:12] | I understand, but I’ve got a full plate. | 我明白,但是我的工作已经全安排满了。 |
[03:14] | So do I, but that never seems to count. | 我也是,但我的似乎永远也不算个事。 |
[03:17] | Meanwhile, you keep taking on new cases. | 同时,你你却还在不断地接新案子。 |
[03:19] | I’m being criticized for that now? | 我现在是因此而受到指责吗? |
[03:20] | We need new cases to keep this place running. | 我们需要接新案子维持事务所的运营。 |
[03:22] | Sometimes you need to choose family before work. | 有些时候,你需要家庭优先于工作。 |
[03:25] | Sorry– this sounds like a pretty good fight, | 打扰一下。。。听起来吵得挺热闹的。 |
[03:28] | but they’re all waiting. | 但他们都在等你们呢。 |
[03:34] | The Munces need our help. | Munces夫妇需要帮助。 |
[03:36] | A lot of people need our help, Jimmy. | 很多人都需要我们帮助,Jimmy。 |
[03:38] | But I know these people. Bill Munce was my friend. | 但我认识他们,Bill Munce是我的朋友。 |
[03:42] | So why are they just hiring you now? | 那为什么他们现在才请你当律师? |
[03:44] | The hospital told them they’d work out a settlement | 医院告诉他们,应该和受害人的妻子商量出一个和解方案, |
[03:47] | with the victim’s wife, but they couldn’t make a deal, | 但是他们没有达成协议。 |
[03:49] | so it’s going to trial. | 所以就要上庭了。 |
[03:50] | When? | 什么时候? |
[03:52] | Two days. | 两天后。 |
[03:54] | You can’t just jump into a complicated tort case | 你不能就这样陷入一桩 |
[03:56] | on two days’ notice. | 提前两天才通知的复杂侵权案件里。 |
[03:57] | JIMMY: It’s not complicated. | 这事并不复杂。 |
[03:59] | Everybody agrees he’s nuts, | 谁都认可他是疯子, |
[04:01] | everybody agrees he pancaked the guy. | 谁也都认可他拍在那人身上。 |
[04:03] | EUGENE: We’re talking about priorities– | 我们谈的是优先事项。。。 |
[04:04] | taking on new clients | 当你已经有需要去费心的案子时, |
[04:05] | when you already have cases that need your attention. | 却去接一个新客户。 |
[04:08] | It won’t take that long, I promise. | 我保证,这花不了多少时间 |
[04:11] | Defending a wrongful-death case means no contingency. | 为不当致死案件辩护是没有风险代理费的。 |
[04:14] | These people got nobody else to turn to. | 他们没有别人可求了。 |
[04:21] | One day. That’s all you get. | 只给你一天。 |
[04:23] | BOBBY: If the case doesn’t settle, I want you out. | 如果这案子达不成和解,我希望你退出。 |
[04:26] | That’s all I ask. | 我要的就是这个。 |
[04:28] | Now, I gotta go. | 现在,我得走了 |
[04:29] | Wait, Jimmy, I’m going with you. | 等下,Jimmy,我跟你一起吧。 |
[04:31] | Lindsay– LINDSAY: We need a baby sitter. – Lindsay。。。 | – 我们要找个保姆。 |
[04:33] | I suggest you start looking. | 我建议你马上开始找吧 |
[04:40] | Bill’s been deeply affected by this. | Bill对此很受刺激。 |
[04:43] | He sees himself as Superman. | 他把自己视为超人。 |
[04:46] | Heroes don’t kill innocent people. | 而英雄是不会伤害无辜的。 |
[04:48] | Did you tell him we were coming? | 你告诉他我们来了吗? |
[04:50] | DR. BERNARD: Yes, of course. | 当然告诉了。 |
[04:52] | JIMMY: What should I call him, “Bill” or “Superman”? | 我该怎么称呼他,“Bill”还是“超人”? |
[04:55] | DR. BERNARD: Normally, “Bill.” | 按一般的叫法,“Bill”。 |
[04:57] | We do our best here not to indulge the delusion. | 我们尽量不纵容这些错觉。 |
[05:01] | When we do, it’s only to keep them calm. | 我们这样做只是为了使其保持平静状态。 |
[05:03] | LINDSAY: Won’t the medication help him with that? | 药物对他有帮助吗? |
[05:04] | DR. BERNARD: To some extent. | 某种程度上有。 |
[05:06] | But Bill’s not responding to the current drugs. | 但Bill对目前使用的药物没有反应。 |
[05:10] | I wish I could say he’s improving. | 我希望我能说他有起色。 |
[05:12] | But he’s not. | 但他没有。 |
[05:13] | So the Bill Munce I knew… | 那么说,我所熟悉的Bill Munce。。。 |
[05:16] | DR. BERNARD: Is almost completely gone, Mr. Berluti. | 几乎完全不存在了,Berluti先生。 |
[05:18] | But he’s still there. | 但他还在那儿。 |
[05:20] | He still has rare moments of lucidity. | 他还有难得的清醒时刻 |
[05:23] | DR. BERNARD: You need to understand, | 你们要理解, |
[05:25] | Bill Munce is mentally ill. | Bill Munce是精神病。 |
[05:27] | That means he can be unpredictable, | 那就是说他会难以捉摸, |
[05:29] | even unreasonable. | 甚至是不可理喻的。 |
[05:41] | Jimmy! | |
[05:42] | Bill. | |
[05:49] | I’m sorry. | 不好意思。 |
[05:51] | When they said my friend Jimmy was here, | 他们跟我说我朋友Jimmy来了, |
[05:53] | I assumed they meant Jimmy Olsen. | 我以为是说Jimmy Olsen。 |
[05:55] | BILL: Have we met? | 我们认识吗? |
[05:57] | No. I don’t think we have. | 不。我想我们不认识的。 |
[05:59] | JIMMY: I’m Jimmy Berluti. | 我是Jimmy Berluti |
[06:02] | This is Lindsay Dole. | 这是Lindsay Dole |
[06:04] | We’re your lawyers. | 我们是你的律师。 |
[06:06] | Oh, you must be here about the accident. | 哦,你们一定是来这里处理这次事故的。 |
[06:08] | LINDSAY: Yes, we were hoping to talk about that. | 是的,我们希望就此讨论一下。 |
[06:11] | Well, I don’t know what more I can say. | 那好,我不知道还能多说出些什么了。 |
[06:15] | It was a busy morning. | 那是一个忙碌的早上。 |
[06:17] | And the attendants here at times | 那时服务员让我有点。。。分神了 |
[06:19] | can get me a little… distracted. | 那时服务员让我有点。。。分神了 |
[06:23] | I tried to fly without my cape. | 我试着不穿斗篷去飞。 |
[06:26] | Your cape? | 你的斗篷? |
[06:27] | BILL: All I can say is… | 我能说的就是。。。 |
[06:29] | I made a mistake. | 我犯了个错误。 |
[06:33] | It’s just… | 只是。。。 |
[06:35] | I didn’t realize the cape was that important. | 我没有认识到斗篷的重要性。 |
[06:37] | Well, of course it’s important. | 那当然是重要的。 |
[06:38] | I can’t fly without it. | 没它我飞不了。 |
[06:41] | I understand. | 我理解。 |
[06:43] | A man is dead. | 死了一个人。 |
[06:46] | And it’s my fault. | 是我的错。 |
[06:49] | Nothing I can do will ever change that. | 我做什么也改变不了这一点了。 |
[06:53] | I’ll have to live with that for the rest of my life. | 我的余生都必须背负着这个。 |
[07:09] | Actually, you may not remember me, Bill, | 其实,你可能不记得我了,Bill。 |
[07:13] | but you and I once knew each other. | 但你和我是认识的。 |
[07:16] | JIMMY: I didn’t keep in touch. | 我没有保持和你的联系。 |
[07:19] | I’m sorry about that. | 对此我很抱歉。 |
[07:21] | But you and I… | 但你和我。。。 |
[07:23] | we were friends. | 我们曾是朋友 |
[07:31] | I’m sorry. | 对不起。 |
[07:33] | I don’t remember. | 我不记得。 |
[07:36] | It was a long time ago. | 很长时间了。 |
[07:39] | But the man I knew, | 但我认识的那个人, |
[07:41] | he never would have meant to hurt anyone. | 他绝不会有意去伤害任何人。 |
[07:45] | This was not your fault. | 这不是你的错。 |
[07:49] | Sometimes bad things happen… | 有时候会发生一些糟糕的事。。。 |
[07:52] | …even to heroes. | 。。。即使是对于英雄来说 |
[08:02] | LINDSAY: Aren’t you concerned about the effects | 你不担心出庭会对他可能造成的影响吗? |
[08:04] | a trial might have on him? | 你不担心出庭会对他可能造成的影响吗? |
[08:05] | DR. BERNARD: Yes. For Bill’s sake, I’d prefer we settle. | 当然了,看在Bill的份上,我愿意我们能达成和解。 |
[08:08] | LINDSAY: So why haven’t you? | 那你们为什么没有呢? |
[08:09] | ALLDREDGE: We’ve done everything we could, | 我们尽力而为了, |
[08:10] | but Mrs. Green and her lawyer | 但Green夫人和她的律师 |
[08:11] | are being totally unreasonable. | 完全不讲情理。 |
[08:13] | The woman is entitled to something. | 这个女人有权得到些东西。 |
[08:15] | Her husband was killed. | 她的丈夫死了。 |
[08:16] | Sure, but she’s suing for 15 million. | 那是当然,但她起诉要求一千五百万的赔偿。 |
[08:19] | We offered her a million dollars. | 我们提出一百万。 |
[08:21] | She won’t settle for less than three. | 而她少于三百万就不会达成和解。 |
[08:22] | JIMMY: You don’t have insurance? ALLDREDGE: Of course we do. | – 你们没有保险吗? – 我们当然有。 |
[08:25] | But we’re worried our carrier will drop our coverage | 但我们担心,如果我们被索赔得太多, |
[08:27] | if we get hit for too much. | 我们的保险承保商会缩减我们的保险责任范围。 |
[08:28] | If that happens, we’re finished. | 如果那样的话,我们就完了。 |
[08:31] | Patients that we’ve treated for years | 我们治疗多年的病人 |
[08:34] | will be thrown into state mental institutions, if there’s room. | 如果州的精神病院有空余的话,就会被扔进那里。 |
[08:37] | Most will end up on the street. | 大多数最终会回到社会上。 |
[08:39] | But if you lose at trial, the sky’s the limit on damages. | 但如果你们输掉庭审,损害赔偿就是天价了。 |
[08:43] | And let’s face it– he jumped out of your window. | 让我们正视此事吧。。。他从你们医院的窗户跳出去的。 |
[08:45] | You have to think you’re going to lose. | 你们必须要考虑到你们会输的。 |
[08:47] | Only if the jury thinks we’re to blame. | 那只是在如果陪审团认为归咎于我方的情况下。 |
[08:52] | Wait a minute, you’re going to blame Bill? | 等等,你是打算归咎于Bill吗? |
[08:55] | He’s insane. You were responsible for him. | 他疯了。你们对他负有责任。 |
[08:57] | We’re not blaming Bill. | 我们不是在归咎于Bill。 |
[09:01] | Who, then? | 那是谁呀? |
[09:03] | Talk to his wife. | 问他妻子吧 |
[09:05] | His wife? | 他妻子? |
[09:06] | Ultimately, we didn’t push him out that window. | 归根结底,我们没有把他推出窗户去。 |
[09:09] | She did. | 是她干的。 |
[09:10] | What are you talking about? | 你们在说什么? |
[09:15] | On the day Bill fell, his wife came to visit– | Bill坠楼的那天,他的妻子来看他。。。 |
[09:18] | to tell Bill she was filing for divorce. | 告诉Bill她正在申请离婚。 |
[09:22] | ALLDREDGE: Your client wasn’t trying to fly, Mr. Berluti. | 你的当事人不是要去飞,Berluti先生。 |
[09:25] | He was trying to kill himself. | 他是要自杀。 |
[09:44] | Why didn’t you tell us? | 你为什么不告诉我们? |
[09:45] | DEBORAH: I’m sorry. I didn’t think they knew. | 对不起,我以为他们不知道。 |
[09:47] | Deborah– | |
[09:48] | I’ve talked to their lawyer a dozen times. | 我和他们的律师谈过十几次了。 |
[09:50] | He never said anything about the divorce. | 他从未提到过有关离婚的事 |
[09:53] | Look, I’m not exactly proud of myself. | 听我说,我一点也不引以为荣。 |
[09:56] | DEBORAH: We’ve been married for almost 14 years. | 我们结婚将近14年了。 |
[09:58] | For the last five, I’ve been watching him fall apart, | 最后这五年,我一直看着他崩溃, |
[10:01] | praying that he gets better. | 祈祷他能有所好转。 |
[10:03] | Deborah, you don’t need to– | Deborah,你不必。。。 |
[10:04] | DEBORAH: I know I’m supposed to love him, stay with him. | 我知道我应该爱他,和他在一起。 |
[10:08] | And I swear to you both, I have tried. | 我向你们两个发誓,我努力过了。 |
[10:10] | But you don’t know what my life has become. | 但你不知道我的生活变成了什么样子。 |
[10:14] | Do you think this was a suicide attempt? | 你认为这是企图自杀吗? |
[10:16] | Is that what they’re planning on saying? | 他们打算这么说吗? |
[10:18] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[10:20] | You can’t let them. | 你们不能让他们这么做。 |
[10:22] | Please, you cannot let Bill hear that. | 拜托,你们不能让Bill听到这些。 |
[10:27] | They let the Munces think the case would settle. | 他们使Munces夫妇以为案子会达成和解。 |
[10:30] | There wasn’t gonna be a trial. | 不会出庭。 |
[10:31] | LINDSAY: So Deborah and Bill walk into court unprepared | 所以Deborah和Bill会毫无防备地出庭而被判败诉。 |
[10:34] | and get slaughtered with the judgment. | 所以Deborah和Bill会毫无防备地出庭而被判败诉。 |
[10:35] | What are you gonna do now? | 你们现在怎么打算? |
[10:37] | JIMMY: Well… EUGENE: Plan “B.” | – 这个嘛。。。 – B计划 |
[10:39] | REBECCA: What exactly are you getting at? | 你到底指的是什么? |
[10:41] | Well, Mrs. Green isn’t the only one who’s been hurt by this. | Green夫人并不是唯一因此受到伤害的。 |
[10:44] | The Munces have, too. | Munce夫妇也是。 |
[10:45] | EUGENE: Emotional distress, pain and suffering. | 情绪悲伤,痛苦和折磨。 |
[10:47] | Put the blame where it belongs. | 把责任归于所在。 |
[10:50] | So you think we should sue the hospital? | 所以你认为我们应该起诉医院? |
[10:51] | Damn right. | 正是。 |
[11:03] | Lucy, call the agency. | 给中介打电话,Lucy。 |
[11:04] | I need to meet with more baby-sitters. | 我要多见几个保姆。 |
[11:15] | DEBORAH: Will the judge let you do that– sue the hospital? | 法官会让你这么做吗。。。去起诉医院? |
[11:18] | LINDSAY: We hope so. It’s probably our only shot at winning. | 希望如此,这可能是我们能赢的唯一机会。 |
[11:20] | But it is dangerous. The hospital will come after you and Bill. | 但这也很危险,医院会针对你和Bill进行攻击。 |
[11:23] | I don’t know how much he can take. | 我说不好Bill能承受多少。 |
[11:25] | You need to understand, | 你要明白, |
[11:27] | if you’re found liable, you could lose everything, | 如果你们被认定负有责任,你们可能失去一切, |
[11:30] | including the money to pay for his care. | 包括支付他医疗的费用。 |
[11:34] | Okay. | 我明白。 |
[11:35] | He’s been waiting for a while. We should go in. | 他已经等了一会儿了,我们应该进去了。 |
[11:52] | Hello, Bill. | 你好,Bill。 |
[11:55] | Hello, Lois. | 你好,Lois。 |
[12:02] | We’re not going to deny what happened. | 我们不打算否认所发生的事。 |
[12:04] | We’re just going to say you weren’t to blame. | 我们只想说你不应该对此负责。 |
[12:08] | Okay. | |
[12:09] | One more thing… | 还有件事。。。 |
[12:10] | If we can get the judge to go for it, | 如果我们能得到法官认可的话, |
[12:13] | we want you to wear the Superman outfit. | 我们希望你穿上超人套装。 |
[12:16] | I saw the complaint. | 我看到起诉书了。 |
[12:18] | They name Munce, not Superman. | 写着是Munce,不是超人。 |
[12:20] | BILL: Munce is the one on trial. | 开庭审判的是Munce。 |
[12:23] | Bill, they already know you’re Superman. | Bill,他们已经知道你就是超人了。 |
[12:26] | Do they? I’m not really sure. | 是吗?我可拿不准。 |
[12:30] | JIMMY: Believe me, they definitely know. | 相信我,他们肯定是知道了。 |
[12:33] | And having the jury see who you are, | 让陪审团看看你是谁, |
[12:36] | it could help explain to them how this happened. | 这有助于向他们解释这件事的原委。 |
[12:40] | Really? How? | 真的吗?怎么会呢? |
[12:43] | Superman is an icon. America loves you. | 超人是一个偶像。全美国都爱。 |
[12:46] | BILL: Yes. | 是呀。 |
[12:48] | Which is why I won’t wear the outfit. | 所以我才不穿这套衣服。 |
[12:50] | Superman is a role model. He shouldn’t be seen on trial. | 超人是一个榜样。他不应该出庭受审。 |
[12:54] | As a matter of fact, now that they know Munce is Superman, | 事实上,既然他们知道Munce就是超人, |
[12:58] | I’m gonna need your help to change my name. | 我想要你帮我改名。 |
[13:02] | JUDGE: Ms. Dole, I don’t like surprises. | Dole女士,我可不喜欢意外突袭。 |
[13:05] | Filing a cross-complaint on the day of trial | 在审判日提出交叉起诉算是意外突袭了。 |
[13:07] | constitutes a surprise. | 在审判日提出反诉算是意外突袭了。 |
[13:08] | LINDSAY: Your honor, we’ve only recently got on this case. | 法官大人,我们只是最近才接手这个案子。 |
[13:11] | JUDGE: Mr. Klein, what does the plaintiff | Klein先生,原告方对此有何意见? |
[13:12] | have to say about this? | Klein先生,原告方对此有何意见? |
[13:13] | Let them point fingers at each other, | 让他们互相指责吧, |
[13:16] | so long as my client gets what she’s entitled to. | 只要我的当事人得到她应得的权利。 |
[13:18] | What we don’t want is a continuance. | 我们不希望的是延期。 |
[13:20] | ALLDREDGE: We need time for discovery. | 我们需要时间去调查。 |
[13:21] | LINDSAY: You’ve had time. | 你们有时间。 |
[13:23] | They have had access to our clients | 从事发那时开始,他们就一直和我们的当事人有接触。 |
[13:25] | from the moment this happened. | 从事发那时开始,他们就一直和我们的当事人有接触。 |
[13:26] | Your Honor, if the Munces lose, | 法官大人,如果Munce输了, |
[13:28] | they can always come after us later. | 在那之后,他们总是可以再来起诉我们的。 |
[13:29] | LINDSAY: That means two trials | 那意味着同样的证人和证词的两次审判。 |
[13:31] | with the same witnesses and the same testimony. | 那意味着同样的证人和证词的两次审判。 |
[13:33] | We don’t need to try this twice. | 我们不必审两次。 |
[13:38] | Since the plaintiff does not object | 因为原告方并不反对, |
[13:39] | and the hospital did have ample discovery, | 且院方确实具有足够的调查。 |
[13:42] | I’ll allow the cross-complaint. | 我将准许交叉起诉。 |
[13:43] | We’ll begin in an hour. | 一小时后开庭。 |
[13:55] | You asked if I was worried | 你问我是否担心庭审会毁掉Bill。 |
[13:57] | that a trial could devastate Bill. | 你问我是否担心庭审会毁掉Bill。 |
[14:00] | The better question is… are you? | 还不如问。。。你们呢? |
[14:08] | You need to understand– | 你要理解。。。 |
[14:10] | Dr. Gorman is a compassionate man | Gorman医生是个有同情心的人 |
[14:12] | who gets paid to care about Bill’s condition. | 他的工作就是负责Bill的健康。 |
[14:16] | I’m not. | 我可不是。 |
[14:25] | How long were you and Mr. Green married? | 你和Green先生结婚多久了? |
[14:29] | MRS. GREEN: In August, it would have been 23 years. | 到八月份就满23年了。 |
[14:32] | You must have loved him very much. | 你一定很爱他。 |
[14:33] | Yes, Mr. Klein, I loved my husband. | 是的,Klein先生,我爱我的丈夫。 |
[14:36] | Tell us what happened, Mrs. Green. | 跟我们说说事情经过,Green夫人。 |
[14:38] | I met Ed for lunch at 12:00. | 我和Ed约了12点吃饭。 |
[14:41] | And when we were done, | 我们吃完饭后, |
[14:43] | we decided to walk a few blocks to his office. | 我们决定步行几个街区去他的办公室。 |
[14:46] | And when did you realize that something was wrong? | 你什么时候发现有些不对劲了? |
[14:48] | I slowed up for a minute | 我因为看一个窗户上挂的连衣裙, |
[14:50] | to look at a dress in one of the windows. | 慢了一点。 |
[14:52] | Look, I-I don’t want to hear this. | 我。。。我不想听这些。 |
[14:54] | It’s okay, Bill. | 不要紧的,Bill。 |
[14:55] | And I heard a scream. | 我听到了一声尖叫。 |
[14:57] | MRS. GREEN: And I saw a man… | 我看到一个人。。。 |
[14:59] | that man… | 就是那个人。。。 |
[15:01] | …lying on the sidewalk. | 。。。躺在人行道上。 |
[15:04] | He was wearing a Superman costume. | 他穿着超人的行头。 |
[15:07] | MR. KLEIN: And what happened to Ed, Mrs. Green? | Green夫人,Ed怎么样了? |
[15:09] | His neck was broken. | 他的脖子断了。 |
[15:13] | I knew he was dead. | 我知道他死了。 |
[15:15] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[15:17] | I have nothing further. | 我没有问题要问了。 |
[15:20] | Mr. Berluti? | |
[15:23] | Mr. Alldredge? | |
[15:28] | ALLDREDGE: Your husband was an accountant? | 你丈夫是个会计师吗? |
[15:30] | MRS. GREEN: Yes. | 是的。 |
[15:32] | An accountant who earned $45,000 a year? | 他一年赚四万五千美金? |
[15:35] | So? | 所以? |
[15:36] | So you’re suing for $15 million in damages. | 所以你起诉索赔一千五百万美元? |
[15:39] | ALLDREDGE: The truth is, Mrs. Green, | Green夫人,事实是。 |
[15:42] | your husband was 53 years old. | 你丈夫已经53岁了 |
[15:44] | It would have taken him over 300 years | 他得用300年才能赚到这么多钱。 |
[15:46] | to earn that kind of money. | 他得用300年才能赚到这么多钱。 |
[15:48] | My husband was killed, Mr. Alldredge. | Alldredge先生,我丈夫死了。 |
[15:50] | Yes, because that woman chose to be reckless. JIMMY: Objection. | – 是的,因为那个女人选择了鲁莽的行为 – 反对! |
[15:53] | You don’t really believe we’re to blame for his death? | 你不是真的认为我们对你丈夫的死负有责任吧? |
[15:55] | Objection! Overruled. | – 反对! – 反对无效。 |
[15:57] | This isn’t right. I don’t like this. Bill. – Bill | – 这样不对,我不喜欢这样 |
[15:59] | ALLDREDGE: She didn’t care about ending her own marriage. | 她连结束她自己的婚姻都不在乎。 |
[16:00] | Do you think she cares about ending yours? | 你觉得她会在乎你的吗? |
[16:02] | MRS. GREEN: I don’t know who is to blame, Mr. Alldredge. | 我不知道谁该负责,Alldredge先生。 |
[16:05] | All I do know… | 我就知道。。。 |
[16:06] | is that my husband is dead. | 我丈夫死了。 |
[16:10] | And no amount of money can make that right. | 再多的钱也不能使他复活。 |
[16:29] | Bill’s never tried to fly before. | Bill以前从来没有试图要去飞过。 |
[16:31] | He never discussed the ability to fly. | 他也从来没有谈论过飞行的能力。 |
[16:34] | Flying is just not part of his pathology. | 想飞不属于他的病理学特征。 |
[16:36] | Did Mr. Munce appear suicidal before that day? | 在那天之前,Munce先生表现出过自杀倾向吗? |
[16:39] | No. If he had, we would have lodged him | 没有,如果他有的话,我们会把他安置在更安全的楼层的。 |
[16:41] | on a more secure floor. | 没有,如果他有的话,我们会把他安置在更安全的楼层的。 |
[16:42] | Then why do you think this was a suicide attempt? | 那为什么你认为这是企图自杀? |
[16:45] | To understand, you need to know about Bill’s condition. | 为了理解这一点,你需要了解Bill的病情。 |
[16:48] | Has his condition improved since being at the hospital? | 他的病情自入院后有好转吗? |
[16:51] | No. About all we can do is keep him safe and calm. | 没有,我们能做的就是让他保持安全和平静。 |
[16:55] | That means keeping stress to an absolute minimum. | 这意味着要绝对保持最小的压力。 |
[16:57] | ALLDREDGE: Why? | 为什么? |
[16:59] | DR. BERNARD: It triggers inappropriate behavior. | 那会引发不恰当的行为。 |
[17:01] | I think stress made him try to end his life. | 我认为压力使他试图结束生命。 |
[17:04] | ALLDREDGE: What stress are you referring to? | 你指的压力是什么? |
[17:07] | Bill’s wife, Deborah, visited on the day in question. | Bill的妻子,Deborah,在事发那天来访。 |
[17:10] | DR. BERNARD: I met her at the reception desk | 我在接待处见了她 |
[17:12] | and walked her into a private room. | 并把她带到一个私人房间。 |
[17:14] | About ten minutes later, | 大概十分钟后, |
[17:15] | I walked by that room and saw Bill alone, crying. | 我走过那个房间,看见比尔独自一人在哭。 |
[17:18] | Did you ask him what was wrong? | 你问他怎么了吗? |
[17:20] | Yes, but he wouldn’t say. | 问了,但他不说。 |
[17:23] | I got him calmed down, | 我让他冷静下来, |
[17:25] | then I went to get his medication. | 然后我给他拿药。 |
[17:28] | It was then that Bill jumped out the window. | 就在那时,Bill跳出了窗户。 |
[17:31] | He dresses like Superman. | 他穿着像超人。 |
[17:33] | He calls his wife “Lois,” | 他称他妻子为”Lois” |
[17:36] | but you didn’t think he might try to fly? | 而你认为他不会试着去飞? |
[17:38] | What happened had nothing to do | 所发生的事跟他假定自己是超人没有关系。 |
[17:39] | with his assumption of Superman’s identity. | 所发生的事跟他假定自己是超人没有关系。 |
[17:41] | So, he’s lying when he said he tried to fly? | 那么,他说他想飞的时候在撒谎? |
[17:43] | At some level, I’m sure he believes it. | 在某种程度上,我确信他相信自己能飞。 |
[17:46] | But that’s just a defense mechanism. | 但那只是一种防御机制。 |
[17:48] | Bill Munce heard his wife say she was leaving him. | Bill Munce听到他的妻子要离开他。 |
[17:51] | Bill Munce tried to kill himself, not Superman. | Bill Munce想要自杀,那时候他不是超人。 |
[17:54] | And you being the doctor– you must know | 而你作为医生。。。你必须知道 |
[17:57] | exactly what reality he’s in at any given moment. | 他在任何特定时刻到底是什么样的实际状况。 |
[17:59] | DR. BERNARD: I know he’s ill. | 我知道他有病。 |
[18:00] | He needs a safe place, | 他需要一个安全的环境, |
[18:02] | which we provided him until his wife destroyed it. | 在他妻子破坏这个环境前,我们一直都为他提供了。 |
[18:04] | Move to strike– nonresponsive. | 答非所问。。。请求不予记录。 |
[18:06] | Sustained. The jury will disregard. | 反对有效,陪审团应予以忽略 |
[18:08] | As director of the hospital, you treat patients | 作为医院的院长,你治理病人 |
[18:12] | and make staffing decisions. | 并负责人事安排。 |
[18:13] | Yes. | 对。 |
[18:14] | Doctor, isn’t it a fact that last year | 医生,你的医院是由一家母公司去年收购的,对吗? |
[18:17] | your hospital was bought by a parent company? | 医生,你的医院是由一家母公司去年收购的,对吗? |
[18:19] | Yes, but– And less than three months after you were bought, | – 是的,但是。。。 – 被收购后不到三个月, |
[18:23] | you reduced your staff by almost 30 percent? | 你把你的员工缩减了差不多30%? |
[18:26] | The company chose to streamline our costs. | 母公司选择精简我们的成本。 |
[18:29] | The reduction hasn’t proven a danger to anyone. | 这种缩减被证明对任何人都没有造成危险。 |
[18:31] | Tell Ed Green that. | 去跟Ed Green说这个吧。 |
[18:32] | Objection! JIMMY: Withdrawn. | – 反对! – 我收回这句。 |
[18:35] | There were no bars on the windows, were there, doctor? | 窗户上没有栏杆,是吗,医生? |
[18:37] | No. Because bars cost money. | – 没有。 – 因为栏杆要花钱。 |
[18:40] | They also intimidate and frighten the patients. | 那会让病人感到恐惧。 |
[18:43] | That’s worse than letting them fall out a window? | 那比让他们跳出窗户还糟吗? |
[18:45] | I told you, before that day, he wasn’t suicidal. | 我跟你说过,在那天之前,他没有自杀倾向。 |
[18:48] | Did you ask Mrs. Munce why she was there that day? | 那天你问过Munce夫人为什么去那儿吗? |
[18:50] | Well, no. JIMMY: If you were so concerned | – 这个,没有。 – 如果你是那么关心 |
[18:54] | about Mr. Munce’s fragile psyche, | Munce先生脆弱的精神状态 |
[18:57] | why didn’t you ask her why she was there? | 你为什么不问问她为什么去呢? |
[18:59] | Because I thought Mrs. Munce | 因为我以为Munce太太 |
[19:01] | cared about her husband’s mental health. | 关心她丈夫的心理健康。 |
[19:04] | It never occurred to me that she would behave so recklessly. | 我从未想到她会如此鲁莽。 |
[19:19] | I love kids. | 我喜欢孩子们。 |
[19:20] | I have six of my own. LUCY: Six? | – 我自己有六个孩子。 – 六个? |
[19:23] | They’re older than you. | 他们比你还大。 |
[19:25] | Are you two planning to have more? | 你们俩打算多要些孩子吗? |
[19:27] | Oh, no, no, no, we’re not– | 噢,不,不,我们不是。。。 |
[19:28] | Ever been accused of misconduct with a child? | 可曾被指控对儿童行为不端吗? |
[19:30] | No, of course not. | 当然没有。 |
[19:33] | Have you ever been arrested? | 你被逮捕过吗? |
[19:34] | LUCY: Bobby. WOMAN: No! – Bobby. | – 没有! |
[19:36] | Any problems with drugs or alcohol? | 有毒品或酒精方面的问题吗? |
[19:37] | Wait just a minute. | 等等。 |
[19:39] | The agency told me you were nice people. | 中介跟我说你为人不错。 |
[19:42] | Sorry, this is new for me. | 抱歉,我以前没找过保姆。 |
[19:44] | Before I hire someone to take care of my son, | 在我雇人照料我儿子前, |
[19:46] | I like to be sure about them. | 我想要对此有把握 |
[19:48] | Well, I understand. | 好吧,我理解。 |
[19:50] | I do have excellent references. | 我有很好的推荐信。 |
[19:52] | I see only two families listed. | 我只看到列出了两家 |
[19:55] | I was with those people for over 10 years without a problem. | 我和他们相处超过十年了,没有发生问题。 |
[19:58] | What about an AIDS test? | 那艾滋病测试情况呢? |
[20:00] | LUCY: What? | 什么? |
[20:01] | WOMAN: An AIDS test? | 艾滋病测试? |
[20:02] | No, I have not had an AIDS test. | 不,我没有做过艾滋病测试。 |
[20:05] | Exactly how old are you? | 你到底多大岁数? |
[20:07] | I tell you what– | 我告诉你吧。。。 |
[20:09] | I am old enough to know I don’t need this. | 我岁数大到我懂得不伺候你了。 |
[20:12] | Good luck staying married to this pig! | 祝你和这头猪婚姻美满! |
[20:23] | What? | 怎么了? |
[20:26] | DEBORAH: I lost him the day he forgot my name. | 他忘记我的名字那天,我就失去了他。 |
[20:29] | He started calling me “Lois.” | 他开始叫我“Lois”。 |
[20:31] | LINDSAY: Why did you place him at Clerendon Hall? | 你为什么把他安置在Clerendon中心? |
[20:33] | DEBORAH: I kept him at home as long as I could. | 我尽量让他呆在家里。 |
[20:37] | Please understand, I’m still in love with the man I married. | 请理解,我仍然爱着我结婚的那个男人。 |
[20:40] | It’s just– Bill isn’t that man anymore. | 只是。。。Bill不再是那个人了。 |
[20:44] | I’ve lost my husband. | 我已经失去了我的丈夫。 |
[20:46] | Tell us why you went to see him that day. | 跟我们说说你那天为什么去看望他 |
[20:48] | I went to tell Bill I was asking for a divorce. | 我去告诉Bill我要离婚。 |
[20:51] | Was that really something that he needed to hear? | 这真的是他需要听到的吗? |
[20:54] | Yes. We’d been together a long time. | 是的,我们在一起这么长时间了。 |
[20:57] | It’s something he deserved to hear from me. | 他理应从我这里听到这些。 |
[20:59] | And how did he react when you told him about it? | 当你告诉他这件事时,他有什么反应? |
[21:01] | At first he was confused and upset. | 起初,他感到困惑和不安。 |
[21:06] | He said that Superman and Lois could never be apart. | 他说超人和Lois永远不会分开。 |
[21:09] | But by the time I left, he seemed okay. | 但当我离开的时候,他看起来很好。 |
[21:15] | This wasn’t the first time you considered a divorce, was it? | 这不是你第一次考虑离婚,是吗? |
[21:18] | That’s not true. | 不是这样的。 |
[21:19] | You didn’t want to be married to a mid-level banker. | 你不想嫁给一个中层银行职员。 |
[21:22] | You resented Bill for his lack of ambition. | 你对Bill缺乏雄心壮志感到厌恶。 |
[21:25] | Objection, Your Honor. | 反对,法官大人。 |
[21:26] | This is what Bill Munce told his therapist | 这是Bill Munce在他到医院的第一年告诉他的治疗师的 |
[21:28] | the first year he got to the hospital. | 这是Bill Munce在他到医院的第一年告诉他的治疗师的 |
[21:29] | That’s privileged. We can use his statements to defend ourselves. | - 那是属于保密特权内的 - 我们为自己辩护时可以使用他的陈述。 |
[21:32] | He’s right, Ms. Dole. | Dole女士,他说的对。 |
[21:34] | By suing the hospital, you waived the privilege. | 既然起诉了医院,他就等于放弃了保密特权。 |
[21:36] | I loved my husband, Mr. Alldredge. | Alldredge先生,我爱我的丈夫。 |
[21:39] | Then why did you make him so miserable? | 那你为什么让他如此痛苦? |
[21:41] | He said you called him weak, stupid. | 他说你说他软弱,愚蠢。 |
[21:44] | Bill would never have said that. | Bill绝不会那么说的。 |
[21:46] | Your husband chose to be Superman. | 你丈夫选择做超人。 |
[21:48] | In his mind, he had to be perfect to make you happy. | 在他内心中,他必须做到完美才能让你快乐。 |
[21:51] | Objection– argumentative. | 反对。。。争论性问题。 |
[21:52] | Sustained. | 反对有效。 |
[21:53] | This past year, Mrs. Munce, | Munce夫人,去年你探视你丈夫几次? |
[21:55] | how many times did you visit your husband? | Munce夫人,去年你探视你丈夫几次? |
[21:59] | She came when she could. | 她能来的时候就来。 |
[22:01] | Bill, please. | Bill,别说了。 |
[22:03] | ALLDREDGE: Mrs. Munce? | Munce夫人? |
[22:04] | I don’t know. | 我记不清。 |
[22:06] | Nine times. | 九次。 |
[22:08] | Nine times, Mrs. Munce. | 九次,Munce夫人。 |
[22:11] | You can’t even make it there one day a month. | 你连一个月一次都做不到。 |
[22:13] | It’s hard for me to see him like this. | 我看到他这样很难受。 |
[22:16] | Stop him from hurting Lois. | 别让他伤害Lois了。 |
[22:18] | Why didn’t you talk to his doctor first? | 你为什么不先和他的医生谈谈? |
[22:20] | Excuse me? ALLDREDGE: You’re his legal guardian. | – 你说什么? – 你是他的法定监护人。 |
[22:22] | You were filing for divorce. | 你要提出离婚。 |
[22:24] | You had to know Bill might get upset. | 你必须知道Bill可能会很难过。 |
[22:26] | Why not ask for his doctor’s permission? | 为什么不征求医生的同意?? |
[22:28] | I don’t need permission to speak with my husband. | 我和我丈夫说话不需要得到准许。 |
[22:31] | Your husband, Mrs. Munce, is mentally ill. | 你的丈夫,Munce夫人,患有精神病。 |
[22:33] | ALLDREDGE: You’re going to leave him, | 你打算抛弃他, |
[22:35] | and you don’t tell his doctor ahead of time? | 而你却不事先告诉他的医生? |
[22:37] | Objection! | 反对! |
[22:38] | Stop it! | 停下! |
[22:39] | None of this has anything to do with truth or justice! | 所有这些都与事实或公正无关! |
[22:42] | JIMMY: Bill– JUDGE: Mr. Munce, sit down right now. – Bill。。。 | – Munce先生,马上坐下。 |
[22:44] | She doesn’t have to worry about me. | 她没必要担心我。 |
[22:47] | I’m Superman! | 我是超人! |
[22:48] | Counsel, sit him down now, | 律师,让他坐下。 |
[22:50] | or he’s out of here faster than a speeding bullet. | 要么他就马上离开这里。 |
[22:53] | JIMMY: Please! | 拜托了! |
[23:12] | I will testify. | 我要作证。 |
[23:14] | We can talk about that, but you need to sit down. | 我们可以谈论,但你要先坐下来。 |
[23:16] | Attacking Lois like that– | 像那样攻击Lois。。。 |
[23:19] | BILL: We can’t let them get away with it. | 我们不能让他们逃脱处罚。 |
[23:21] | I don’t think he should testify. | 我认为他不应该去作证。 |
[23:23] | LINDSAY: I don’t like it either, | 我也不想。 |
[23:24] | but you didn’t do so well up there. | 但你在证人席上表现不好。 |
[23:26] | It’s risky, I know, | 那是冒险,我明白, |
[23:28] | but I think we need him to say this wasn’t your fault. | 但我认为我们需要他来说你没有错。 |
[23:31] | Bill, are you sure you want to testify? | Bill,你想好了要作证吗? |
[23:34] | You’re damn right! | 一点没错! |
[23:37] | Those sons of bitches! | 那些狗娘养的! |
[23:58] | I’m sorry. | 对不起。 |
[24:01] | I, um… | 我,呃。。。 |
[24:04] | I don’t know why I just… | 我不知道我刚才为什么。。。 |
[24:09] | I’m going to protect Lois. | 我要保护Lois。 |
[24:13] | I’m going to testify. | 我要去作证。 |
[24:18] | ALLDREDGE: He can’t testify. He’s crazy. | 他不能作证,他疯了。 |
[24:21] | JIMMY: He’s a named defendant. | 他是作为被告 |
[24:23] | He has to be allowed to take the stand. | 他必须被允许出庭作证。 |
[24:24] | ALLDREDGE: Not if he’s incompetent. | 如果他不具备作证能力就不行。 |
[24:25] | They say his wife caused him to jump. | 他们声称他的妻子导致他跳楼。 |
[24:28] | He’s got the right to explain that she didn’t. | 他有权去解释并非是那样的。 |
[24:30] | ALLDREDGE: He has no sense of reality, of the truth– | 他不具备对现实和事实的感知力。。。 |
[24:33] | JIMMY: He can explain what was going through his mind. | 但他能解释他脑子里怎么想的。 |
[24:35] | That’s completely relevant to the question of liability. | 那是这与责任认定问题完全相关。 |
[24:42] | I hope Mr. Berluti realizes that if his client testifies, | 我希望Berluti先生意识到如果他的当事人作证, |
[24:45] | I’m gonna treat him like any other witness. | 我会像对待其他证人一样对待他。 |
[24:47] | Meaning what? | 你指什么? |
[24:48] | I’ll have to choice but to go after him. | 我别无选择只能去攻击他。 |
[24:51] | The man is not well. | 这人状态很差。 |
[24:52] | You’ve made him watch everyone he’s trusted turn on him– | 你们已经使他看到每个他信任的人都在攻击他。。。 |
[24:55] | his wife, his doctor. | 有他的妻子,他的医生。 |
[24:57] | What are you trying to do, totally destroy him? | 你们想干什么,彻底毁了他? |
[24:59] | Is he threatening my witness? | 他是在威胁我的证人吗? |
[25:01] | No, he’s warning you. | 不,他是在警告你。 |
[25:03] | And so am I. | 我也是。 |
[25:05] | Are you sure you want to do this, Mr. Berluti? | Berluti先生,你想好了要这么做吗? |
[25:08] | Look, if we lose– | 你们看,如果我们输了。。。 |
[25:11] | if the jury hits the Munces with real damages– | 如果陪审团判Munce夫妇支付赔偿金。。。 |
[25:14] | they won’t be able to afford private care. | 他们将负担不起私人护理的费用。 |
[25:17] | JIMMY: Bill will spend the rest of his life | Bill会在一家州立机构中度过余生, |
[25:18] | in a state institution | Bill会在一家州立机构中度过余生, |
[25:20] | and feel responsible for bankrupting his wife. | 并对他妻子的破产有负罪感。 |
[25:23] | We can’t let that happen. | 我们不能让此发生。 |
[25:28] | I’ll let him testify, Mr. Berluti. | 我会允许他出庭作证,Berluti先生 |
[25:30] | But I hope you know what you’re doing. | 但我希望你知道你在干什么。 |
[25:36] | Flying isn’t something I just do. | 我不仅仅是要飞。 |
[25:39] | There has to be a reason. | 那是有理由的。 |
[25:40] | So, you’ve flown before? | 那么,以前你飞过吗? |
[25:42] | Many, many times. | 好多好多次。 |
[25:44] | JIMMY: Why did you want to fly that day? | 那天你为什么要飞呢? |
[25:47] | Well, Lois had come to see me– | 这个嘛,Lois来看我。。。 |
[25:49] | JIMMY: Sorry. Who’s Lois? | 对不起,Lois是谁? |
[25:51] | BILL: The woman seated there. | 坐在那儿的女人。 |
[25:53] | My wife. | 我的太太。 |
[25:55] | JIMMY: Why do you think she came to see you? | 你觉得她为什么来看你? |
[25:57] | She said she wanted a divorce. | 她说她要离婚。 |
[26:00] | But I think she wanted my help. | 但我觉得她需要我的帮助。 |
[26:03] | I think she was in some kind of danger. | 我觉得她出于某种危险之中。 |
[26:06] | JIMMY: What kind of danger? | 什么样的危险? |
[26:09] | I don’t really know. | 我不太清楚。 |
[26:10] | When she left, I watched her from the window. | 她离开后,我从窗户看到她。 |
[26:14] | And I was gonna follow her from above | 我想要在她上面跟着她, |
[26:15] | to make sure she was all right. | 保证她不会出事。 |
[26:17] | But that nurse– | 但是护士。。。 |
[26:19] | she started harping on me about going down to lunch. | 她开始唠叨着要我下去吃午饭。 |
[26:24] | I forgot my cape. | 所以我忘了穿斗篷。 |
[26:26] | I need the cape to fly. | 我需要斗篷才能飞。 |
[26:29] | So, you weren’t trying to hurt yourself. | 所以,你不是想要自杀 |
[26:32] | You were just trying to fly? | 你只是想飞? |
[26:34] | That’s right. | 没错。 |
[26:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[26:38] | JIMMY: Nothing further. | 没有问题要问了。 |
[26:47] | ALLDREDGE: Mr. Munce, you love your wife. | Munce先生,你爱你的妻子。 |
[26:50] | Very much. | 非常爱。 |
[26:52] | ALLDREDGE: So, when she told you she was leaving you, | 那么,当她告诉你她要离开你, |
[26:54] | that was devastating, wasn’t it? | 那对你是毁灭性的,不是吗? |
[26:57] | No. | 不是。 |
[26:58] | Weren’t you crying? | 你那时哭了吗? |
[27:00] | BILL: At first, maybe… | 起初,也是是哭了。。。 |
[27:02] | and then I calmed down. | 随即我平静下来。 |
[27:05] | ALLDREDGE: When? | 什么时候? |
[27:06] | Dr. Gorman said he found you crying ten minutes later. | Gorman医生说他是十分钟之后发现你在哭的。 |
[27:10] | ALLDREDGE: Alone. | 独自一人。 |
[27:12] | ALLDREDGE: You do remember that, don’t you? | 你记得那事,不是吗? |
[27:18] | Mr. Munce? | Munce先生? |
[27:21] | I, um… | 我,呃。。。 |
[27:23] | I remember. | 我记得。 |
[27:24] | Did she say why she was leaving? | 她说她为什么要离开你吗? |
[27:26] | Objection– irrelevant. | 反对。。。无关联性问题。 |
[27:28] | Goes to his state of mind. | 是为了说明他的精神状态。 |
[27:30] | Overruled. | 反对无效。 |
[27:32] | Did she say why she was leaving? | 她说了她为什么要离开你吗? |
[27:35] | Not really. | 不完全是。 |
[27:37] | ALLDREDGE: Not really? | 不完全是? |
[27:38] | Didn’t she tell you exactly why? | 她明确告诉你为什么了吗? |
[27:42] | Isn’t it a fact that your wife told you | 你太太告诉你她有了别人, |
[27:44] | she had met someone else– | 她在工作中结识了一个男人。。。 |
[27:46] | a man she met at work? | 是不是? |
[27:49] | What? | 什么? |
[27:51] | O-objection– lacks foundation. | 反。。。反对。。。缺乏依据。 |
[27:53] | I can lay the foundation. I’ve got photos. | 我能拿出依据,我有照片为证。 |
[27:56] | Objection. Overruled. | – 反对。 – 反对驳回。 |
[27:58] | JUDGE: Mr. Munce, do you remember the question? | Munce先生,你还记的刚才的提问吗? |
[28:02] | She didn’t say that. | 她没说那事。 |
[28:05] | I don’t know what he’s talking about. | 我不知道他在说什么。 |
[28:08] | Mr. Munce, you tried to kill yourself, didn’t you? | Munce先生,你想自杀,不是吗? |
[28:11] | No, I– ALLDREDGE: Your wife told you | – 不是,我。。。 – 你太太告诉你 |
[28:13] | that she had fallen in love with another man, | 她爱上了别的男人, |
[28:15] | and you tried to kill yourself. | 于是你想自杀。 |
[28:17] | ALLDREDGE: Isn’t that right? | 不对吗? |
[28:19] | BILL: I don’t know what he’s talking about. | 我不知道他在说什么。 |
[28:20] | I don’t know what he’s talking about. | 我不知道他在说什么。 |
[28:22] | BILL: I don’t– I don’t know– | 我不。。。我不知道。。。 |
[28:24] | I don’t know– I don’t– | 我不知道。。。我不。。。 |
[28:26] | I don’t– I don’t know what he’s talking about. | 我不。。。我不知道他在说什么。 |
[28:28] | I don’t know. | 我不知道。 |
[28:31] | I don’t know. I don’t– I-I-I– | 我不知道。我。。。我。。。 |
[28:33] | No, I-I don’t know what he’s talking about. | 不,我。。。我不知道他在说什么。 |
[28:37] | BILL: I don’t– I know that Lois– | 我不。。。我不知道Lois她。。。 |
[28:39] | She would not tell me anything like that. | 她不会跟我说那样的话。 |
[28:42] | She wouldn’t say that she was seeing someone. | 她不会说她和别人约会。 |
[28:43] | I don’t know… | 我不知道。。。 |
[29:08] | DEBORAH: How is he? | 他怎么样了? |
[29:09] | JIMMY: I don’t know. He won’t talk to anyone. | 不知道,他跟谁都不说话。 |
[29:11] | Can I see him? | 我能见他吗? |
[29:12] | I don’t think that’s a good idea. | 我认为这样不妥。 |
[29:14] | Jimmy, what they said about me meeting somebody else– | Jimmy,他们说我和别人约会的事。。。 |
[29:19] | You have to believe me– I never told him. | 你一定要相信我。。。我没有告诉他。 |
[29:21] | That’s not the reason I want the divorce. | 那不是我要离婚的原因。 |
[29:23] | JIMMY: I understand, Deborah, | Deborah,我明白。 |
[29:24] | and I know you were trying to protect him. | 而且我知道你是要保护他。 |
[29:27] | JIMMY: But hiding the truth– | 但隐瞒事实。。。 |
[29:29] | He shouldn’t have heard it for the first time in court, | 他本不应是在庭上第一次听到这件事。 |
[29:32] | and I shouldn’t have, either. | 况且我也不应该是第一次听到。 |
[29:37] | I-I got to get ready for my closing. | 我。。。我要准备我的结案陈词了。 |
[29:45] | I’m sorry. | 对不起。 |
[29:47] | Jimmy gets nervous before his closings. | Jimmy在做结案陈词前会紧张的。 |
[29:50] | No. He’s right. | 不,他是对的。 |
[29:53] | DEBORAH: The truth is, Lindsay, | 实际上,Lindsay, |
[29:55] | I’ve never known what’s best for Bill. | 我从来也不知道什么对Bill才是最好的。 |
[29:59] | I mean, I know I’m not responsible for his disease. | 我是说,我知道我不需要对他的病承担义务。 |
[30:03] | Not really. | 不太需要。 |
[30:06] | But that lawyer– | 但是那个律师。。。 |
[30:08] | He was right about one thing– | 有一点说对了。。。 |
[30:11] | I never appreciated what we had. | 我从来也没有对我们的婚姻感到满意。 |
[30:16] | DEBORAH: I kept pushing him to be what I wanted– | 我一直在逼他去做那些我想要的。。。 |
[30:19] | what I thought he could become. | 那些我认为他应该去做的。 |
[30:24] | I don’t think I ever accepted him | 我不认为我曾接受过现实中的他。 |
[30:25] | simply for who he really was. | 我不认为我曾接受过现实中的他。 |
[30:30] | I should’ve. | 我本应该那样做的。 |
[30:43] | MR. KLEIN: In the law, we have a doctrine called res ipsa loquitur. | 在法律界,我们有个说法叫“res ipsa loquitur”。(拉丁语) |
[30:48] | “The thing speaks for itself.” | “事实自证” |
[30:51] | Sometimes negligence is so obvious, so blatant, | 有时候过失是那么明显,那么一目了然, |
[30:56] | the law simply shifts the burden to the defense. | 法律就会把举证责任转给被告方。 |
[30:59] | “We know someone was at fault for this, | “我们知道有人应对此负责, |
[31:01] | so explain to us why it shouldn’t be you?” | 所以跟我们解释一下为什么不是你呢?” |
[31:05] | MR. KLEIN: Here we have two defendants at fault– | 在此我们有两个有责任的被告。。。 |
[31:08] | a wife who drove her husband to attempt suicide | 一个驱使其丈夫企图自杀的妻子 |
[31:12] | and an institution that failed to control its patient. | 一个没有管控好其病人的机构。 |
[31:16] | Who’s more to blame? That’s your decision. | 更应归咎于谁?由你们来决定。 |
[31:19] | MR. KLEIN: But there was negligence here. | 但是这里存在过失。 |
[31:23] | Mentally ill men in costumes | 一个穿着行头的精神病患者不会就那么砸在一个会计师头上的 |
[31:25] | don’t just drop on an accountant’s head. | 一个穿着行头的精神病患者不会就那么砸在一个会计师头上的 |
[31:29] | JIMMY: He’s convinced that he’s Superman, | 他确信自己就是超人, |
[31:31] | but they never expected he might try to fly? | 但他们却从未料到他会想飞? |
[31:36] | Ed Green would be alive if there were bars on those windows. | 如果窗户上有栅栏,Ed Green就会还活着。 |
[31:39] | JIMMY: It really is that simple. | 就是这么简单。 |
[31:42] | You have to ask yourself, | 你们必须要自问, |
[31:44] | “Who was in the best position to prevent what happened?” | “谁最能阻止这些事的发生?” |
[31:48] | They were in control, | 他们负责管理, |
[31:50] | they were responsible for keeping him safe. | 他们负责保障他的安全。 |
[31:52] | JIMMY: That’s what they were being paid to do. | 那就是他们收取报酬所应该做到的。 |
[31:55] | The fact is, Clerendon Hall isn’t really a hospital. | 事实是,Clerendon中心不是一家真正的医院。 |
[32:00] | It’s a business. | 是个商业机构。 |
[32:01] | These people care about profits, not patients. | 这些人关心收益,而不是病人。 |
[32:05] | JIMMY: And that’s why they didn’t have bars on the windows. | 这就是为什么他们不在窗户上装栏杆。 |
[32:08] | That’s why they didn’t have more staff on that floor. | 这就是为什么他们在那个楼层没有更多的工作人员。 |
[32:11] | Dr. Gorman saw Bill Munce crying in his room. | Gorman医生看到Bill Munce在他的房间哭泣。 |
[32:15] | If anyone had stayed in that room, | 如果有人呆在那个房间, |
[32:17] | Ed Green would still be alive. | Ed Green就会还活着。 |
[32:21] | JIMMY: If they really think he tried to kill himself, | 如果他们真的认为他要自杀, |
[32:25] | imagine the cruelty of revealing to him | 那就想象一下 |
[32:28] | that his wife is seeing another man | 当庭把他妻子和别人约会的事透露给他是多么的残忍。 |
[32:31] | right here in open court. | 当庭把他妻子和别人约会的事透露给他是多么的残忍。 |
[32:33] | JIMMY: Now, I don’t know much Latin, Mr. Klein, | 我不懂拉丁语,Klein先生, |
[32:36] | but that’s a thing that speaks for itself. | 但这就是“事实自证”。 |
[32:45] | ALLDREDGE: When Deborah Munce told her husband she was leaving him, | 当Deborah Munce告诉她的丈夫她要离开他, |
[32:49] | it was reckless cruelty. | 这是鲁莽的残忍行为 |
[32:51] | She drove him out that window. | 她驱使他跳出窗外。 |
[32:54] | ALLDREDGE: Had she told Dr. Gorman– and she had the chance– | 如果她告诉了Gorman医生 – 她是有机会的 – |
[32:58] | he would have protected Bill. | 他本可以保护Bill的。 |
[33:02] | She didn’t do it. | 但她没有那样做 |
[33:04] | That’s the negligence that cost Ed Green his life. | 这就是让Ed Green付出生命代价的过失 |
[33:07] | ALLDREDGE: Our hospital has taken good care of Bill Munce. | 我们的医院悉心照顾Bill Munce。 |
[33:11] | For almost five years, | 差不多近五年来, |
[33:13] | long after his wife stopped coming to visit, | 在他妻子不再来看他很久之后, |
[33:16] | Dr. Gorman and his staff | Gorman医生和他的员工提供全天候治疗。 |
[33:18] | have provided round-the-clock treatment. | Gorman医生和他的员工提供全天候治疗。 |
[33:21] | ALLDREDGE: Don’t blame us | 不要因一个将其丈夫扔在我们台阶上 |
[33:22] | for the actions of a wife | 不要因一个将其丈夫扔在我们台阶上 |
[33:24] | who parked her sick husband at our doorstep | 然后就不管不顾的妻子的行为而责备我们。 |
[33:27] | and then stopped caring for him. | 然后就不管不顾的妻子的行为而责备我们。 |
[33:29] | ALLDREDGE: Don’t blame us for her neglect and cruelty. | 不要因她的疏忽和冷酷而责备我们。 |
[33:34] | We’re a hospital. | 我们是一家医院。 |
[33:36] | We’re in the business of caring for people. | 我们的工作是照顾人们。 |
[33:39] | But for Mrs. Munce, | 如果没有Munce夫人, |
[33:42] | this tragedy would never have happened. | 这场悲剧永远也不会发生。 |
[33:53] | LINDSAY: Bobby, what are you doing here? | Bobby,你来这干什么? |
[33:55] | Is it over? | 结束了吗? |
[33:55] | Jimmy’s with the Munces. | Jimmy陪着Munce夫妇 |
[33:56] | We’re still waiting for a verdict. | 我们还在等判决。 |
[33:57] | What do you think? LINDSAY: I don’t know. | – 你觉得怎么样? – 我不知道。 |
[34:00] | An innocent man was killed. | 一个无辜的人死了。 |
[34:02] | The jury’s gonna want to blame somebody for that. | 陪审团会想要将此归咎于某方。 |
[34:04] | I, uh, thought you might need this. | 我,呃,觉得你可能需要这个。 |
[34:09] | What is it? | 这是什么? |
[34:10] | Mental hospitals from around the country. | 全国各地的精神病院 |
[34:13] | I made a few calls. | 我打了几个电话。 |
[34:14] | A few? There are 15 names here. | 几个?这里有15个名字。 |
[34:16] | The underlined ones might be able to take Bill when this is over. | 审判结束后,带下划线的几个可能会接纳Bill。 |
[34:19] | The two with the stars by them are your best shots. | 标上星号的是最有可能的。 |
[34:23] | This must have taken you hours. | 这肯定花了你几个小时。 |
[34:24] | And with all the work that you’ve got… | 你手头还有那么多工作。。。 |
[34:27] | Why’d you do it? | 你为什么做这事? |
[34:28] | To be honest, um, I don’t know. | 说老实话,嗯,我不知道。 |
[34:32] | Let’s just say I fell for the guy. | 就当是我喜欢上了这家伙吧。 |
[34:36] | There but for the grace of God. | “如果没有上帝的恩典” (源自英语中的一个格言, 意思是说别人的不幸,自己也可能会遇到) |
[34:38] | Something like that. | 差不多吧。 |
[34:42] | By the way, I think we’ve got a new baby-sitter. | 顺便说一下,我想我们找到了一个新的保姆。 |
[34:44] | You’re kidding. You managed to hire one? | 你在开玩笑吧。你雇到了一个? |
[34:47] | No, uh, Eugene and Ellenor did the interviewing. | 我没有,呃,Eugene和Ellenor面试的。 |
[34:51] | She seems very nice. | 她似乎很不错。 |
[34:54] | You still get the credit. | 你还是值得表扬的。 |
[34:56] | Thank you. | 谢谢。 |
[35:00] | I better get back to the office. | 我还是回办公室吧。 |
[35:04] | Bobby… | |
[35:18] | I just… | 我只是。。。 |
[35:21] | Well, I’ll see you later. | 好吧,回头见。 |
[35:26] | BOBBY: Okay. | 好的。 |
[35:32] | BAILIFF: Ms. Dole, the jury’s back. | Dole女士,陪审团回来了。 |
[36:05] | Madam Foreperson, the jury has reached a verdict? | 陪审团主席女士,陪审团有裁决了吗? |
[36:07] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人。 |
[36:09] | What say you? | 请宣布。 |
[36:10] | On question one, | 第一项问题, |
[36:12] | FOREPERSON: “Do we find the defendant, William Munce, negligent?” | “我们是否发现被告,William Munce,有无过失?” |
[36:16] | We the jury answer, “No.” | 我们陪审团的回答是,“无” |
[36:18] | On question two, | 第二项问题, |
[36:20] | “Do we find the defendant, Deborah Munce, negligent?” | “我们是否发现被告,Deborah Munce,有无过失?” |
[36:23] | We the jury answer, “yes.” | 我们陪审团的回答是,“有” |
[36:28] | Quiet. I said quiet! | 安静,我说了,安静! |
[36:34] | Madame Foreperson, do you have a verdict on question three? | 陪审团主席女士,你们针对第三项问题得出裁决了吗? |
[36:36] | Yes, Your Honor. Question three– | 是的,法官大人,第三项问题。。。 |
[36:39] | “Do we find the defendant, Clerendon Hall, negligent?” | “我们是否发现被告,Clerendon中心,有无过失?” |
[36:43] | We the jury answer, “yes.” | 我们陪审团的回答是,“有” |
[36:48] | We further order that Clerendon Hall pay damages to the plaintiff | 我们进而要求Clerendon中心向原告支付赔偿金 |
[36:51] | in the amount of three million dollars | 三百万美金。 |
[36:54] | and that Deborah Munce pay damages to the plaintiff | 而Deborah Munce向原告支付赔偿金 |
[36:57] | in the amount of one dollar. | 一美元。 |
[37:03] | FOREPERSON: Excuse me. We’re not done. | 对不起,我们还没宣布完。 |
[37:06] | Question four– | 第四项问题。。。 |
[37:07] | as to the cross-complaint, we find for the complainants | 关于交叉起诉,我们支持原告的主张 |
[37:12] | and order the hospital to pay Bill and Deborah Munce | 并要求院方支付Bill和Deborah Munce |
[37:15] | actual damages of one dollar | 一美元的实际损害赔偿。 |
[37:18] | and to pay Bill Munce punitive damages | 以及惩罚性损害赔偿 |
[37:21] | in the amount of one million dollars. | 一百万美金。 |
[37:27] | Your Honor, we move for judgment notwithstanding the verdict | 法官大人,我们提出否决陪审团裁决的动议, |
[37:30] | and ask that the damage award be set aside. | 并请求撤销损害赔偿金。 |
[37:32] | Motion denied. | 此动议被否决 |
[37:34] | JUDGE: Members of the jury, this completes your service. | 陪审团成员们,你们尽到了你们的义务。 |
[37:36] | You are dismissed with my thanks. | 你们可以解散,法庭感谢你们。 |
[37:38] | This court is adjourned. | 休庭。 |
[37:43] | DEBORAH: You did it, Jimmy. Thank you so much. | Jimmy,你成功了,太谢谢你了。 |
[37:48] | ALLDREDGE: We’ll appeal until this judgment– | 我们会上诉直到这个判决。。。 |
[37:51] | ALLDREDGE: Are you all right? | 你没事吧? |
[37:54] | LINDSAY: Somebody get a doctor! | 有谁去找个医生来! |
[37:59] | Somebody get a doctor! | 有谁去找个医生来! |
[38:05] | ALLDREDGE: Are you all right? What is it? Can you breathe? | 你没事吧?有事吗?你能呼吸吗? |
[38:18] | BILL: I’m flying to the hospital to get this man a doctor! | 我飞到医院给他找个医生来! |
[38:22] | JIMMY: No! Wait! DEBORAH: Bill, no! | – 别,等等! – Bill,别! |
[38:50] | He was having a heart attack. | 他心脏病发作了。 |
[38:52] | JIMMY: It was a panic attack Bill, | 那是惊恐导致的,Bill, |
[38:53] | some minor chest pains caused by stress. | 一些由压力引起的轻微胸痛。 |
[38:56] | Bill, now that this is over, we need to talk. | Bill,既然这事了了,我们需要谈谈了。 |
[39:03] | May I come in? | 我能进来吗? |
[39:05] | LINDSAY: This is a client meeting. | 这是一个客户会议。 |
[39:07] | Come on, Bill. | 来吧,Bill。 |
[39:08] | What are you doing? | 你干什么? |
[39:09] | Taking Bill back to the hospital. | 带Bill回医院。 |
[39:12] | The lawyer says our appeal should take a year. | 律师说我们的上诉需要一年时间。 |
[39:14] | Whatever you may think, Mr. Berluti, | 不管你怎么想,Berluti先生 |
[39:16] | I’m still his doctor. | 我还是他的医生。 |
[39:18] | Bill tried to save my life. | Bill试图救我的命。 |
[39:21] | So as long as we remain open, he’s gonna have a home. | 所以只要我们还维持运营,他就会有个家。 |
[39:29] | LINDSAY: You don’t have to go with him, Bill. | 你不必和他一起去,Bill |
[39:31] | There are other hospitals that might take you in. | 还有其他医院可能会接纳你。 |
[39:37] | Is it okay to talk to Lois for a second? | 可以和Lois谈谈吗? |
[39:40] | I don’t think that would be a good idea. | 我认为这样不妥。 |
[39:41] | No. Wait. It’s– it’s all right. | 不,等等,这。。。这没事。 |
[39:55] | I want to come home. | 我想回家。 |
[39:58] | I know. | 我明白。 |
[40:00] | But you can’t. | 但你不能。 |
[40:03] | You don’t love me anymore. | 你不再爱我了。 |
[40:05] | That’s not true. | 不是这样的。 |
[40:07] | I just can’t take care of you anymore. | 我只是无法再照顾你了。 |
[40:12] | Whatever you did– if you met someone else, | 不管你做了什么。。。如果你遇到其他人, |
[40:16] | I don’t care about that. | 我不会在意的。 |
[40:19] | All that matters to me | 对我重要的是 |
[40:21] | is that we stay together. | 我们能在一起。 |
[40:25] | I can’t do this again. | 我不能再这样了。 |
[40:27] | I’m sorry. | 对不起。 |
[40:33] | Deborah… | |
[40:39] | I’ll use whatever name you want. | 我会用你希望用的名字称呼你。 |
[40:42] | Bill… | |
[40:43] | Listen to me. | 听我说, |
[40:47] | I won’t be Superman anymore. | 我不在当超人了。 |
[40:51] | I promise. I– I can do it. | 我保证。。。我能做到。 |
[40:54] | You can’t. | 你做不到。 |
[40:58] | DEBORAH: The world needs Superman. | 这世界需要超人。 |
[41:01] | Especially now. | 尤其是现在。 |
[41:04] | And no matter how much I might want to… | 不管我多么想。。。 |
[41:08] | …I can’t ask you to stop being who you really are. | 。。。我不能要求你不去实现真我。 |
[41:14] | I love you. | 我爱你。 |
[41:17] | I love you, too. | 我也爱你。 |
[41:23] | Goodbye. | 再见。 |