| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:01] | DOLE: Previously on The Practice… | 前集回顾未作翻译 | 
| [00:02] | WALSH: We’ve heard testimony of another client | |
| [00:04] | who terrorized your wife. | |
| [00:06] | He was murdered. | |
| [00:07] | I smell a pattern. | |
| [00:08] | Threaten Lindsay Dole, | |
| [00:10] | you get killed. | |
| [00:11] | Objection! | |
| [00:12] | He knew his wife was culpable. | |
| [00:14] | Why the immediate assembly of lawyers, | |
| [00:16] | the refusal to speak to police? | |
| [00:18] | This is consistent | |
| [00:20] | with the behavior of guilty people. | |
| [00:23] | WEST: Ms. Dole, I am bound | |
| [00:25] | by the statute to sentence you | |
| [00:26] | to the Framingham Correction Facility | |
| [00:28] | for the remainder of your natural life. | |
| [00:30] | WASHINGTON: The emotional undercurrents | |
| [00:32] | of a case play a part. | |
| [00:33] | Give me this appeal. | |
| [00:36] | James Berluti, | |
| [00:37] | Melissa Halpern. | |
| [00:38] | Hello. | |
| [00:39] | This is my daughter, Joey. | |
| [00:40] | Sixteen years ago, | |
| [00:42] | I kidnapped her. | |
| [00:43] | Does your daughter know? HALPERN: No. | |
| [00:45] | I recently read a magazine article | |
| [00:47] | about the birth mother | |
| [00:49] | and the woman they accused | |
| [00:50] | of stealing Joey. | |
| [00:51] | BERLUTI: I represent the individual | |
| [00:52] | who kidnapped your daughter 16 years ago. | |
| [00:55] | The individual sends to you this money order | |
| [00:58] | in the amount of $70,000. | |
| [01:00] | GAMBLE: Jimmy, police got a visit | |
| [01:02] | from a woman named Sally Burns last night. | |
| [01:04] | You had to know she’d go to the police. | |
| [01:06] | So what? | |
| [01:07] | it’s attorney/client. | |
| [01:09] | We already know who she is, | |
| [01:11] | Bernice White. | |
| [01:12] | First, you’re calling me | |
| [01:13] | saying it’s really important that we meet, | |
| [01:15] | and then I see you on television | |
| [01:17] | concerning a crime that I have been suspected of | |
| [01:19] | for 16 years. | |
| [01:20] | Bernice White, please place your hands behind your back. | |
| [01:22] | What? Tell them I’m not your client! | |
| [01:24] | YOUNG: We neither confirm | |
| [01:25] | nor deny that she is our client. What?! | |
| [01:27] | We neither confirm | |
| [01:28] | nor deny she is our client. | |
| [01:51] | She’s fading. | 她累得不行了 | 
| [01:53] | I just can’t close it. | 我还是搞不定 | 
| [01:55] | Okay. | 知道了 | 
| [02:04] | Bernice? | |
| [02:05] | I’m Helen Gamble. | 我是Helen Gamble | 
| [02:07] | Why won’t you leave me alone? | 让我一个人待会儿行吗? | 
| [02:09] | I’m the district attorney. | 我是地区检察官 | 
| [02:10] | Can we get you a cup of coffee or something? | 给你来杯咖啡或者别的什么? | 
| [02:12] | WHITE: No, I just wanna go to sleep. | 不要,我只想睡觉 | 
| [02:14] | I know. | 我知道 | 
| [02:17] | Listen, I’m very familiar | 听着,我很熟悉这种案子 | 
| [02:18] | with these kinds of cases, | 听着,我很熟悉这种案子 | 
| [02:20] | and the truth is, | 实际上 | 
| [02:22] | I happen to believe you. | 我刚好是相信你的 | 
| [02:24] | You say you didn’t kidnap this baby, | 你说你没有绑架那个婴儿 | 
| [02:27] | and I believe you believe | 我相信你是从心眼里认为是真的没有 | 
| [02:29] | with all your heart | 我相信你是从心眼里认为是真的没有 | 
| [02:30] | that that’s the truth. | 我认为你是从心眼里相信那是真的 | 
| [02:33] | But I also believe you’re suffering | 但我也相信你正患有一种非常常见的失忆症 | 
| [02:36] | from a form of amnesia, | 但我也相信你正患有一种非常常见的失忆症 | 
| [02:37] | which is extremely common. | 但我也相信你正患有一种非常常见的失忆症 | 
| [02:38] | No. | 不是的 | 
| [02:41] | Sometimes… | 有些时候。。。 | 
| [02:43] | when good people commit acts | 当一个善良的人做出了些使良心受到谴责的行为时 | 
| [02:45] | that shock their own conscience, | 当一个善良的人做出了些使良心受到谴责的行为时 | 
| [02:47] | they block it out. | 他们会设法忘记 | 
| [02:49] | In your mind, | 在你的心里 | 
| [02:50] | this kidnapping never happened, | 这起绑架从未发生过 | 
| [02:52] | but… | 但是。。。 | 
| [02:55] | the thing is, | 问题是 | 
| [03:00] | a witness saw you leave with the baby, | 一个证人看到你带着孩子离开 | 
| [03:04] | and now what the police aren’t telling you | 而且警察没有告诉你的是 | 
| [03:06] | they’ve now located the woman | 他们现在找到了你把孩子交给她的那个女人 | 
| [03:08] | you gave the baby to. | 他们现在找到了你把孩子交给她的那个女人 | 
| [03:10] | She identified your picture. | 她认出了你的照片 | 
| [03:13] | You will be convicted for this crime. | 你将被判有罪 | 
| [03:16] | It’s not even a question anymore. | 这甚至不再有疑问了 | 
| [03:18] | The only thing to be determined | 唯一要确定的是会怎么样处置你 | 
| [03:20] | is what happens to you. | 唯一要确定的是会怎么样处置你 | 
| [03:22] | Do you understand what I’m saying, Bernice? | 你明白我在说什么吗,Bernice? | 
| [03:25] | Your life is in your hands. | 你的命运掌握在你自己手里 | 
| [03:28] | You tell us the truth, | 告诉我们事实真相 | 
| [03:29] | we can help you. | 我们就可以帮助你 | 
| [03:32] | You can get home. | 你就可以回家了 | 
| [04:31] | We’re moving you from the orientation unit to the compound. | 我们要把你从新犯单元转到大院监房里 | 
| [04:34] | Okay. | 明白 | 
| [04:35] | OFFICER: Don’t pick up disciplinary tickets. | 不要违纪拿罚单 | 
| [04:37] | You could stay there for the duration | 你会在那里服完刑期 | 
| [04:38] | of your sentence, | 你会在那里服完刑期 | 
| [04:39] | which is… | 刑期是。。。 | 
| [04:41] | Life. | 终身监禁 | 
| [04:42] | I’m hoping to reduce that. | 我正希望能减少刑期 | 
| [04:44] | My appeal is scheduled for tomorrow. | 我的上诉安排在明天 | 
| [04:46] | Actually, I was hoping that I could attend. | 其实,我希望能参加 | 
| [04:49] | Sorry. | 对不起 | 
| [04:50] | You filled out a visitor consent form for a minor child. | 你填了一张未成年儿童访客申请表格 | 
| [04:53] | For my son. | 为我儿子填的 | 
| [04:55] | OFFICER: We’ll need a certified birth certificate | 在他来之前我们需要一份出生证明文件 | 
| [04:56] | before he can come in. | 在他来之前我们需要一份出生证明文件 | 
| [04:57] | Then it’ll be at least a month after that. | 在那之后至少要过一个月 | 
| [04:59] | Wait a second. | 等等 | 
| [05:00] | I can’t see my son for a month? | 我一个月无法看到我儿子? | 
| [05:02] | When you see the shrink, get meds. | 当你看到心理医生的时候,拿点药 | 
| [05:05] | Most of the girls here are on | 这里的大多数女孩都至少在吃一种抗抑郁药 | 
| [05:06] | at least one antidepressant. | 这里的大多数女孩都至少在吃一种抗抑郁药 | 
| [05:09] | He can also give you a dental dam. | 他还能给你一个口交保险膜 | 
| [05:11] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? | 
| [05:12] | If you get involved with anyone, | 如果你和某人那个的话 | 
| [05:14] | better to be safe than sorry. | 安全第一为好 | 
| [05:17] | You’ve been assigned to janitorial. | 你被分配去做情结工作 | 
| [05:19] | DOLE: I asked to clerk in the law library. | 我要求去法律图书馆做管理员 | 
| [05:20] | OFFICER: They all do. | 都有人了 | 
| [05:21] | It goes to the senior girls. | 那是留给年纪大些的 | 
| [05:23] | But I’m a lawyer. | 可我是个律师 | 
| [05:26] | Ms. Dole, | Dole女士 | 
| [05:28] | part of your adjustment here | 你在这里要适应的,有一部分是 | 
| [05:29] | is learning that what you were before doesn’t matter. | 要懂得你以前的生活是什么并不重要 | 
| [05:36] | Look, if you don’t like the brief– | 听着,如果你对这份辩护状不满意。。。 | 
| [05:37] | I didn’t say I didn’t like it. | 我不是说我不满意 | 
| [05:38] | I just think we short-shrifted | 我只是觉得我们把案情实质缩减一些 | 
| [05:40] | the Merits a little. | 我只是觉得我们把案情实质缩减一些 | 
| [05:41] | An appeal isn’t about the Merits. | 上诉并不是针对案情实质的 | 
| [05:43] | DONNELL: Just the same, | 然而,使他们在情感上产生倾向是较好的 | 
| [05:44] | it would be nice to have them | 然而,使他们在情感上产生倾向是较好的 | 
| [05:45] | emotionally predisposed. | 然而,使他们在情感上产生倾向是较好的 | 
| [05:47] | Justice Leon’s wife was the victim | Leon法官的妻子是暴力犯罪的受害者 | 
| [05:48] | of violent crime. | Leon法官的妻子是暴力犯罪的受害者 | 
| [05:49] | It’s not a bad idea to tickle | 通过提醒他们Lindsay杀的是什么人 | 
| [05:51] | that nerve a little | 通过提醒他们Lindsay杀的是什么人 | 
| [05:52] | by reminding them | 使他们稍微有所触动是个好办法 | 
| [05:53] | who Lindsay shot. | 使他们稍微有所触动是个好办法 | 
| [05:56] | I’m only talking about two more paragraphs. | 我就先谈这两段吧 | 
| [05:59] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [06:07] | She’s feeling it a little. | 她有点感觉了 | 
| [06:08] | DONNELL: Was this a mistake? | 让她负责是个错误吗? | 
| [06:09] | YOUNG: She’ll be okay. | 她能行的 | 
| [06:10] | Nerves usually make her better. | 紧张感通常会让她做得更好些 | 
| [06:16] | I’ve got a problem. | 我遇到问题了 | 
| [06:19] | I represent a woman, Melissa Halpern, | 我代理了一个女人,Melissa Halpern | 
| [06:21] | who kidnapped a child 16 years ago. | 她16年前绑架了一个孩子 | 
| [06:23] | I heard. | 我听说了 | 
| [06:24] | BERLUTI: Well, you probably also heard | 那么,你可能也听说了警察抓了另一个人 | 
| [06:26] | the police arrested somebody else, | 那么,你可能也听说了警察抓了另一个人 | 
| [06:28] | Bernice White. | 是Bernice White | 
| [06:30] | In fact, they arrested her ’cause of me, and– | 实际上,他们逮捕她是因为我,而且。。。 | 
| [06:32] | Jimmy, can you just cut to the problem? | Jimmy,你能直入主题吗? | 
| [06:34] | We’re a little busy here. | 我们挺忙的 | 
| [06:35] | Fine. | 好吧 | 
| [06:37] | Bernice White confessed. | Bernice White招了 | 
| [06:41] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? | 
| [06:42] | They must have interrogated her half the night. | 警方肯定是审她到半夜 | 
| [06:44] | I don’t know, but she signed a written confession. | 我不知道具体情况,但她签了一份书面陈述 | 
| [06:47] | For a crime she didn’t commit? | 可她并没有犯罪呀? | 
| [06:49] | Yes. | 是啊 | 
| [06:51] | Bobby, this is all my doing. | Bobby,这都是我造成的 | 
| [06:55] | I’d like to represent Bernice. | 我想代理Bernice | 
| [06:57] | How can you do that? | 你怎么可以那样做? | 
| [06:58] | You represent Melissa. | 你是Melissa的律师 | 
| [06:59] | I won’t violate any privilege. | 我不会违反任何保密特权的 | 
| [07:00] | But, Jimmy, there’s a conflict. | 但是,Jimmy,这里存在利益冲突 | 
| [07:02] | It’s in your client’s best interest | 让警察继续认为Bernice White是绑架者 | 
| [07:04] | for the police to continue thinking | 让警察继续认为Bernice White是绑架者 | 
| [07:05] | Bernice White is the kidnapper. | 对你的当事人是最有利的 | 
| [07:07] | And I’m not gonna do much | 我不会过多地去改变警方的想法 | 
| [07:08] | to change their minds on that, | 我不会过多地去改变警方的想法 | 
| [07:10] | but I can still help her beat it | 但我还是能在不影响Melissa Halpern的情况下 | 
| [07:11] | without compromising Melissa Halpern. | 帮助Bernice White打赢官司 | 
| [07:14] | That’s crazy, Jimmy! | Jimmy,你真是疯了! | 
| [07:15] | BERLUTI: I can’t just sit | 我不能坐视不管! | 
| [07:16] | and do nothing here! | 我不能坐视不管! | 
| [07:18] | That woman’s gonna go to prison | 那女人会含冤入狱的! | 
| [07:19] | for a crime she didn’t commit! | 那女人会含冤入狱的! | 
| [07:21] | I put all of it in motion. | 我要付诸行动了 | 
| [07:23] | I can’t just– | 我不能就这样。。。 | 
| [07:27] | if I promise not to do anything | 如果我保证不做任何对Melissa Halpern不利的事呢? | 
| [07:29] | against Melissa Halpern’s interests? | 如果我保证不做任何对Melissa Halpern不利的事呢? | 
| [07:34] | You get her consent first. | 你先要征得她的同意 | 
| [07:37] | She has to waive the conflict. | 她必须要同意放弃利益冲突 | 
| [07:39] | Okay. Great. | - 好的 - 真行呀 | 
| [07:40] | And take Jamie with you. | 带上Jamie | 
| [07:41] | I want her there. Why? | - 我想让她参与此事 - 为什么? | 
| [07:43] | DONNELL: Because you’re seem a little nearsighted, Jimmy. | 因为你似乎对这个问题的看法有些肤浅,Jimmy | 
| [07:45] | I want back up. I don’t– | - 我要给你找个后备 - 我不要。。。 | 
| [07:46] | DONNELL: You take Jamie with you. | 带上Jamie | 
| [07:59] | She confessed? | 她招供了? | 
| [08:01] | That’s the good news. | 这是个好消息 | 
| [08:03] | The bad is she says she doesn’t know | 坏消息是她说她不知道你的女儿在哪里 | 
| [08:05] | where your daughter is. | 坏消息是她说她不知道你的女儿在哪里 | 
| [08:06] | Well, what did she do with her? | 那么,她把她怎么样了? | 
| [08:08] | She claims she doesn’t remember. | 她说她记不得了 | 
| [08:11] | Look, now that we have the confession, | 听着,既然我们已经得到了供述 | 
| [08:13] | we’ve got some leverage | 我们就有条件继续对她做工作 | 
| [08:14] | to work on her. | 我们就有条件继续对她做工作 | 
| [08:16] | Sally, it’s early. | Sally,现在还早 | 
| [08:17] | Give us some time. | 给我们点时间吧 | 
| [08:18] | SALLY: I don’t care if you make a deal, Helen. | 我不关心你是否可以达成控辩交易,Helen | 
| [08:21] | I don’t care whether or not she goes to prison. | 我也不关心她是否进监狱 | 
| [08:25] | I want to see my daughter. | 我想要看到我的女儿 | 
| [08:32] | Represent her? | 你当她的律师? | 
| [08:33] | Bernice White? You have my word– | – Bernice White吗? – 我向你保证。。。 | 
| [08:35] | It’ll give me away. | 那样会把我牵扯出来的 | 
| [08:36] | I promise you, it won’t. | 我向你保证,不会的 | 
| [08:38] | It’ll have nothing to do with you. | 对你不会有什么影响 | 
| [08:40] | I won’t be saying I know who the real kidnapper is. | 我不会说我知道谁是真正的绑架者的 | 
| [08:42] | I will be defending her straight | 我只会为她辩护 | 
| [08:44] | as if you didn’t exist. | 就当你不存在 | 
| [08:45] | Why can’t she just get another lawyer? | 为什么不给她找个别的律师? | 
| [08:47] | She could, but the reality is, | 可以,但现实情况是 | 
| [08:49] | any other lawyer’s gonna think she did it, | 任何别的律师会认为她有罪 | 
| [08:51] | and the defense will reflect that. | 这会对辩护造成影响 | 
| [08:54] | I want it to be me. | 我想由我来做 | 
| [08:58] | And why is she here? | 她来干什么? | 
| [08:59] | Because as complicated as it is, | 因为这个案子很复杂 | 
| [09:02] | we feel two attorneys… | 我们觉得两个律师的话。。。 | 
| [09:03] | Here’s my card. | 这是我的名片 | 
| [09:04] | Look, she doesn’t need your card. | 别添乱了 | 
| [09:06] | Melissa, I know you don’t want | Melissa,我知道你不想让Bernice White进监狱 | 
| [09:08] | Bernice White going to jail. | Melissa,我知道你不想让Bernice White进监狱 | 
| [09:10] | One of the reasons you came to me | 你来找我的原因之一 | 
| [09:12] | was to spare some of her suffering. | 就是为了减轻她的痛苦 | 
| [09:14] | I don’t wanna be going to jail, either, Jimmy. | 我也不想坐牢,Jimmy | 
| [09:16] | I won’t betray you in any way. | 我决不会背叛你的 | 
| [09:20] | Hey, Mr. Berluti. | Berluti先生,你好 | 
| [09:21] | Hey, Joey. | 你好,Joey | 
| [09:23] | Still working on the will? | 还在办遗赠的是吗? | 
| [09:27] | And who’s this? | 这位是? | 
| [09:28] | Oh, I’m Jamie Stringer. | 哦,我是Jamie Stringer | 
| [09:29] | I– She works with us. | – 我。。。 – 她是我的同事 | 
| [09:36] | Why do I get the feeling | 为什么我会觉得这事很秘密呀? | 
| [09:38] | that there’s this big secret? | 为什么我会觉得这事很秘密呀? | 
| [09:40] | There’s no secret, sweetheart. | 宝贝,没什么秘密 | 
| [09:42] | Grown-ups draft wills. | 成年人起草遗嘱 | 
| [09:44] | It’s just one of the boring things | 这是他们不得不做的无聊事之一 | 
| [09:46] | they have to do. | 这是他们不得不做的无聊事之一 | 
| [09:48] | Okay. | 那好吧 | 
| [09:54] | A month, they’re saying, | 他们说,要一个月她才能看到孩子 | 
| [09:55] | before she can see him. | 他们说,要一个月她才能看到孩子 | 
| [09:56] | I got to tell him tonight | 我今晚不得不告诉他要到万圣节才能见到他母亲 | 
| [09:57] | he won’t see his mother until Halloween. | 我今晚不得不告诉他要到万圣节才能见到他母亲 | 
| [09:59] | Bobby, it’s prison rules. | Bobby,这是监狱的规矩 | 
| [10:01] | Look, I don’t have any jurisdiction | 听着,对那件事我不仅没有管辖权 | 
| [10:02] | or even influence for that matter. | 甚至都无法施加影响 | 
| [10:04] | There’s got to be a string you can pull. | 你总是有些办法的吧 | 
| [10:06] | Well, I don’t have it. | 呃,真没有 | 
| [10:08] | Look, your best option is to go to the court | 听我说,你最好是去法庭申请 | 
| [10:10] | and ask that she be allowed | 让她可以出席她的上诉审理 | 
| [10:12] | to attend her appeal. | 让她可以出席她的上诉审理 | 
| [10:12] | We struck out there. | 我们没申请成功 | 
| [10:14] | Come on, Helen. | 帮帮忙吧,Helen | 
| [10:17] | I’ll try. | 我会试试看的 | 
| [10:21] | (sighs) Thanks. | 谢谢 | 
| [10:24] | You know, | 你知道吧 | 
| [10:29] | you have a client, | 你们有个当事人 | 
| [10:30] | Bernice White, | |
| [10:31] | kidnapped a baby | 16年前绑架了一个婴儿 | 
| [10:33] | 16 years ago. | 16年前绑架了一个婴儿 | 
| [10:35] | If she were to tell us | 如果她告诉我们她把那个孩子怎么样了 | 
| [10:36] | what she did with that baby, | 如果她告诉我们她把那个孩子怎么样了 | 
| [10:39] | I think the office could find a way | 我想我们能找到办法让Lindsay看到你们的儿子 | 
| [10:41] | to let Lindsay visit with your son. | 我想我们能找到办法让Lindsay看到你们的儿子 | 
| [10:43] | Playing one case off another– | 拿一个案子要挟另一个。。。 | 
| [10:45] | GAMBLE: I’m not playing one case off of another. | 我没有拿一个案子要挟另一个 | 
| [10:47] | You’re in here looking for a special favor. | 你现在是在要求破例给你提供方便 | 
| [10:49] | It’s going to be hard for me to accomplish that | 鉴于你们的事务所在州检的人缘不好 | 
| [10:51] | considering the disfavor your firm | 我这样做会很为难的 | 
| [10:53] | is held in here. | 我这样做会很为难的 | 
| [10:56] | All I’m saying is, if you were to do something | 我说的是,如果你做点什么 | 
| [10:58] | to cultivate a little goodwill, | 释放出些善意 | 
| [10:59] | it could help Lindsay. | 那会对Lindsay有益的 | 
| [11:01] | I am not going to discuss | 我不会去讨论另一个案子的 | 
| [11:03] | that other case. | 我不会去讨论另一个案子的 | 
| [11:05] | I’m only here to discuss Lindsay, | 我来这儿是讨论Lindsay的事 | 
| [11:08] | who in addition to being my wife, | 她除了是我的妻子外 | 
| [11:10] | is also one of your best friends. | 也是你最好的朋友 | 
| [11:15] | Like I said, I’ll try. | 我说过了,我会试试的 | 
| [11:25] | Why did you say you did it? | 你为什么要说使你干的? | 
| [11:26] | I don’t know. | 我也说不清 | 
| [11:28] | I just wanted them to leave me alone. | 我只求他们让我自己呆着就好 | 
| [11:30] | I couldn’t take it anymore, and then they said | 我再也受不了了,然后他们说 | 
| [11:32] | that if I gave them what they wanted, | 说出他们想知道的事 | 
| [11:33] | I’d go home. | 我就可以回家了 | 
| [11:34] | Let you go? | 放了你? | 
| [11:35] | WHITE: And then the woman, she said they’d be lenient, | 然后那个女人说,他们会对我宽大处理 | 
| [11:37] | and then the detective came back in | 然后,警探就回来了 | 
| [11:39] | and he said that if I confessed | 他说如果我坦白的话 | 
| [11:42] | that he’d help me. | 他会帮助我的 | 
| [11:44] | And I was so– I was so tired, | 我那时。。。非常疲倦了 | 
| [11:46] | I believed him. | 我信了他 | 
| [11:47] | The police said if you confessed, | 警方说如果你坦白了 | 
| [11:49] | they’d release you? | 他们就释放你? | 
| [11:52] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [11:55] | Shouldn’t the first step be a motion to recuse? | 第一步不是应该提出撤换动议吗? | 
| [11:57] | No. I really think– | – 不? – 我真是认为。。。 | 
| [11:58] | Can I have a second? | 能和你谈谈吗? | 
| [12:00] | (sighs) | |
| [12:01] | One minute. | 一分钟 | 
| [12:06] | You lied to her. | 你骗了她 | 
| [12:07] | I’m allowed to do that. | 我有权那样做 | 
| [12:08] | You’re not allowed to manufacture evidence, Helen. | 你无权捏造证据,Helen | 
| [12:10] | I didn’t. Who’s this woman | – 我没有 – 据说她把孩子给了的那个女人是谁? | 
| [12:12] | she supposedly gave the baby to? | – 我没有 – 据说她把孩子给了的那个女人是谁? | 
| [12:16] | I’ve already marked up a motion | 我已经提出了一个禁止那份供述的动议了 | 
| [12:17] | to suppress the confession. | 我已经提出了一个禁止那份供述的动议了 | 
| [12:18] | Well, there’s a stunner. | 呵,真是让人吃惊 | 
| [12:20] | You’d be? I’m Jamie– | – 你是? – 我是Jamie。。。 | 
| [12:21] | She doesn’t care. GAMBLE: Listen, Jimmy, | – 她不在乎你是谁 – 听着,Jimmy | 
| [12:22] | you wanna make a deal? | 你想做个交易吗? | 
| [12:23] | Tell me where the girl is, | 告诉我那女孩在哪儿 | 
| [12:25] | otherwise, don’t bother. | 否则,就别费心了 | 
| [12:27] | You crossed a line, Helen. | 你越线了,Helen | 
| [12:29] | I’m going right into court. GAMBLE: Fine, | – 我现在就去法庭 – 随便 | 
| [12:31] | I’ll see you there. | 法庭上见 | 
| [12:32] | Debbie. | |
| [12:33] | Jamie. | 我叫Jamie | 
| [12:35] | Jimmy, technically, you didn’t disclose | Jimmy,严格来说,你没有向Bernice White | 
| [12:38] | to Bernice White that you represent | 透露你也是Melissa Halpern的律师 | 
| [12:39] | Melissa Halpern. | 透露你也是Melissa Halpern的律师 | 
| [12:40] | BERLUTI: I don’t need to. | 没这个必要 | 
| [12:41] | You don’t need to? | 没这个必要? | 
| [12:42] | It’s Legal Ethics 101. | 这是法律准则第101款 | 
| [12:43] | The law is black and white. | 法律是对错分明的 | 
| [12:45] | Jamie, | |
| [12:46] | practical lesson number one, | 法律实践第一课 | 
| [12:49] | it’s never black and white. | 从来就不是对错分明的 | 
| [12:57] | Helen somehow got it done. | Helen不知怎么就做到了 | 
| [12:59] | So I can attend? | 那么我可以参加了? | 
| [13:01] | You can be there. | 可以 | 
| [13:01] | Great. | 太好了 | 
| [13:04] | So, how’s your first day going? | 那么,你第一天过得怎么样? | 
| [13:07] | Seems everybody here is a killer. | 所有人看起来都像杀人犯似的 | 
| [13:10] | I ran into two former clients, | 我遇到了两个以前的客户 | 
| [13:11] | so at least I’m making friends. | 所以至少我交了朋友 | 
| [13:17] | Did you read the brief? | 你看过辩护状了吗 | 
| [13:19] | Yeah, I think it’s great. | 嗯,我认为很好 | 
| [13:21] | Is Rebecca really the one to argue? | 真是由Rebecca来负责吗? | 
| [13:23] | She’s never even appeared before the appeals court. | 她从来没有在上诉法庭出庭的经验 | 
| [13:25] | This is the S. J. C. | 这可是州最高法院 | 
| [13:26] | I wouldn’t let her do it | 如果我不相信她 | 
| [13:27] | If I didn’t believe in her. | 我不会让她做的 | 
| [13:31] | She’s ready. | 她准备好了 | 
| [13:42] | Ellenor and I were thinking | Ellenor和我考虑今晚办一个模拟法庭 | 
| [13:43] | let’s do a moot court tonight. | Ellenor和我考虑今晚办一个模拟法庭 | 
| [13:45] | We’ll play the judges. | 我们来做法官 | 
| [13:46] | That way, you can practice on us, | 这样,你可以用我们来做练习 | 
| [13:48] | and we’ll try to pick you apart. | 我们也会尽量挑出你的毛病 | 
| [13:50] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [13:54] | This seemed like a good idea when I asked for this. | 我要求负责此案的时候,似乎像是个是个好主意 | 
| [13:56] | It was a good idea. | 那就是个好主意 | 
| [13:57] | It still is. | 现在也是 | 
| [13:59] | The only thing to keep in mind | 唯一要记牢的事 | 
| [14:00] | is the Supreme Judicial Court. | 是在州最高法院的时候 | 
| [14:03] | Don’t let your passion get the best of you. | 不要让你的激情主导你 | 
| [14:04] | The first thing they always look for is deference. | 法官们最最在意的就是要得到尊重 | 
| [14:07] | If they’re mistaken, | 如果他们错了 | 
| [14:08] | just tell them how justified the mistake is. | 就告诉他们的错误是事出有因的 | 
| [14:11] | Then correct them. | 然后再纠正他们的错误 | 
| [14:13] | Okay. | 明白了 | 
| [14:16] | YOUNG: Hey, you stepped up for this | 嘿,你主动争取负责此案 | 
| [14:18] | because you know you’re the lawyer | 就是因为你知道你是能胜任的 | 
| [14:20] | for this job. | 就是因为你知道你是能胜任的 | 
| [14:22] | Right. | 没错 | 
| [14:26] | GAMBLE: I am allowed to trick suspects. | 我是可以欺骗嫌犯的 | 
| [14:27] | We have been through this before, Your Honor. | 我们以前也这样做过,法官大人 | 
| [14:30] | It goes beyond trickery, Your Honor. | 法官大人,这不仅仅是哄骗 | 
| [14:31] | They kept interrogating her for six hours. | 他们审问了她六个小时 | 
| [14:34] | Then, after she’s half-delirious | 然后,在她带着疲惫和恐惧 | 
| [14:36] | with fatigue and fear, | 处于半昏迷状态下 | 
| [14:38] | they feed her this psychoamnesia crap | 他们给她灌输些什么精神健忘症的屁话罪 | 
| [14:40] | about how she blocked out the crime. | 来解释她是如何忘记了犯罪 | 
| [14:42] | Then they tell her she can go home | 接着他们告诉她如果坦白就可以放了她 | 
| [14:44] | if she confesses. | 接着他们告诉她如果坦白就可以放了她 | 
| [14:46] | Then they tell her they’ve got this phantom witness. | 他们告诉她警方找到了那个虚构出的证人 | 
| [14:48] | They had her half-believing | 他们使她半信半疑地觉得自己也许真犯了罪 | 
| [14:50] | maybe she did commit the crime | 他们使她半信半疑地觉得自己也许真犯了罪 | 
| [14:51] | she knows she didn’t commit. | 他们使她半信半疑地觉得自己也许真犯了罪 | 
| [14:53] | This went beyond coercion. | 这都不止是胁迫了 | 
| [14:55] | Trickery is constitutional. | 哄骗嫌犯是宪法所准许的 | 
| [14:57] | You shouldn’t even be arguing. | 甚至都不应由你来争论这个问题 | 
| [14:58] | You’re a witness in what happened in that room. | 因为你是审讯室里所发生的事的证人 | 
| [15:00] | Fine. Recuse me. | 那好,提出撤换我的动议吧 | 
| [15:03] | We can bring in somebody else. | 我们可以换别的人 | 
| [15:04] | My client was also represented | 法官大人,我的当事人是有律师的 | 
| [15:06] | by counsel, Your Honor. | 法官大人,我的当事人是有律师的 | 
| [15:06] | No, your client repeatedly maintained | 不对,你的当事人一再坚持 | 
| [15:09] | you were not her lawyer. | 你不是他的律师 | 
| [15:10] | Your Honor, the reason Bernice White was arrested | 法官大人,Bernice White被捕的原因 | 
| [15:14] | was because the police believed her | 就是因为警方认为我是她的律师 | 
| [15:15] | to be my client. | 就是因为警方认为我是她的律师 | 
| [15:16] | They, in fact, arrested her in my office. | 事实上,他们是在我办公室逮捕她的 | 
| [15:20] | So for the prosecution to now claim | 所以现在控方声称White女士没有律师 | 
| [15:21] | Ms. White was not represented by counsel | 所以现在控方声称White女士没有律师 | 
| [15:24] | is blatant bad faith. KITTLESON: Wait a second. | – 是公然的自欺欺人 – 等一下 | 
| [15:26] | Did you represent her or not? | 你到底是她的律师吗? | 
| [15:28] | At that time, no. | 在当时,不是的 | 
| [15:30] | KITTLESON: So the prosecution is right. | 所以控方说的是对的 | 
| [15:32] | She wasn’t represented | 在接受审讯的时候 | 
| [15:33] | at the time of the interrogation. | 她没有律师 | 
| [15:34] | They got the wrong one here! | 他们抓错了人! | 
| [15:36] | That’s a jury question. | 那是由陪审团来判断的问题 | 
| [15:38] | If this goes to a jury with a confession, | 如果把这个供述提交给陪审团 | 
| [15:41] | she’s gone. | 她就完了 | 
| [15:41] | Juries think confessions | 陪审员们会认为供述就是事实 | 
| [15:43] | are the truth, and they’re not. | 而其实不是的 | 
| [15:44] | Was this interrogation videotaped? | 审讯过程有录像吗? | 
| [15:47] | Yes. | 有 | 
| [15:49] | I wanna see it. | 我想看看 | 
| [15:49] | All of it, Ms. Gamble. | 要完整的,Gamble女士 | 
| [15:50] | I’ll watch the tape. | 我会看一下录像 | 
| [15:52] | then I’ll make my ruling. | 然后我再做出裁决 | 
| [15:53] | The defendant stays in custody. | 被告继续收押 | 
| [15:55] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 | 
| [16:01] | I’ll call you as soon as I hear anything. | 我一听到什么就给你打电话 | 
| [16:03] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [16:08] | GAMBLE: Look, I’m still willing | 听着,如果她告诉我那个女孩在哪儿 | 
| [16:09] | to play ball if she tells us | 听着,如果她告诉我那个女孩在哪儿 | 
| [16:11] | where the girl is. | 我还是会通融的 | 
| [16:26] | REBECCA: And we maintain the jury instructions | 我们坚持认为给陪审团的指示是有缺陷的 | 
| [16:27] | were flawed. | 我们坚持认为给陪审团的指示是有缺陷的 | 
| [16:28] | In so far as the judge failed to advise | 因为法官没有指出 | 
| [16:30] | that lethal force may be justified, | 即使是面没有持械的受害人时 | 
| [16:33] | even against unarmed victims | 被告如果认为她有生命危险 | 
| [16:35] | when the defendant believes her life is in danger. | 那使用致命武力可能是合乎情理的 | 
| [16:38] | Did you submit your own jury instruction? | 你们提交了你方要求给陪审团的指示了吗? | 
| [16:40] | Yes, Your Honor, | 是的,法官大人 | 
| [16:40] | we timely submitted | 我们及时提交了我们所建议的给陪审团的指示 | 
| [16:41] | our proposed jury instructions, | 我们及时提交了我们所建议的给陪审团的指示 | 
| [16:43] | which Judge West rejected. | 但被West法官拒绝了 | 
| [16:44] | FRUTT: And what was your proposal on lethal force? | 那你对致命武力的使用有什么建议? | 
| [16:47] | Referring the court to page… | 请法庭参见。。。页数是。。。 | 
| [16:50] | You have to have it ready, Rebecca. | 你必须要准备好,Rebecca | 
| [16:52] | You get 20 minutes, tops. | 你最多只有20分钟 | 
| [16:55] | YOUNG: You need to know the transcripts and pleadings. | 你必须要熟记笔录和诉状 | 
| [16:57] | I can’t feed them to you. | 我不能把这些硬塞给你 | 
| [16:58] | Okay. | 知道了 | 
| [17:00] | You’re raising a wheat violation? | 你提出有侵权行为? | 
| [17:03] | Yes, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人 | 
| [17:03] | Your client waived that. | 你的当事人放弃了这些权利 | 
| [17:04] | REBECCA: That would be assuming Ms. Dole | 那是在假定Dole女士有行为认知能力的情况下 | 
| [17:05] | had the capacity to waive it. | 那是在假定Dole女士有行为认知能力的情况下 | 
| [17:07] | Is there anything in the record | 在档案记录中有什么可以证明她不具备行为认知能力吗? | 
| [17:08] | that goes to her mental incapacity? | 在档案记录中有什么可以证明她不具备行为认知能力吗? | 
| [17:10] | Yes, Your Honor. Referring the court to… | 有的,法官大人,请法庭参见。。。 | 
| [17:12] | You have to have it ready! | 你必须要准备好呀! | 
| [17:14] | Okay! | 知道了! | 
| [17:18] | You can’t use that tone. | 你不能这个口气说话 | 
| [17:20] | I know. | 我知道 | 
| [17:31] | Is Jimmy still here? | Jimmy还在吗? | 
| [17:33] | No, actually. | 不在 | 
| [17:34] | Melissa, I thought we agreed | Melissa,我想我们都明白你来这儿并不合适 | 
| [17:35] | it wasn’t a good idea | Melissa,我想我们都明白你来这儿并不合适 | 
| [17:36] | for you to come here. | Melissa,我想我们都明白你来这儿并不合适 | 
| [17:37] | I just wanted to know how things | 我只是想知道今天听证会的情况 | 
| [17:39] | went today with the hearing. | 我只是想知道今天听证会的情况 | 
| [17:41] | Oh. The judge took it under advisement. | 噢,法官在慎重考虑 | 
| [17:44] | And if the confession is suppressed, | 如果那份供述被排除的话 | 
| [17:46] | Ms. White will be let go, right? | White女士会被放了吧,对吗? | 
| [17:49] | We hope so. | 希望如此 | 
| [17:54] | I called Jimmy at home. | 我在家给Jimmy打了电话 | 
| [17:55] | There was no answer. | 没有人接 | 
| [17:57] | If he checks in, would you have him call me? | 如果他来了,你能让他给我回电话吗? | 
| [17:59] | Sure. | 一定 | 
| [18:04] | Good night. | 晚安 | 
| [18:06] | Night. | 晚安 | 
| [18:21] | Sit. | 坐吧 | 
| [18:28] | You ready? | 准备好了吗? | 
| [18:29] | I am so ready. | 完全准备好了 | 
| [18:30] | You really need to hammer prosecutorial misconduct. | 你必须要集中火力攻击检方的不当行为 | 
| [18:34] | I plan to. | 我是打算这样做 | 
| [18:35] | Even if we win here and get a remand, | 即使我们赢了并得到重审 | 
| [18:37] | it’s not going to do Lindsay much good. | 对Lindsay来说并不算太好的结果 | 
| [18:40] | At retrial, we’ll be stuck with her former testimony, | 重审的时候,我们还得坚持用她先前的证词 | 
| [18:42] | which means we can’t really argue self-defense. | 那意味着我们不太能采用正当防卫的辩护理由 | 
| [18:45] | So what are you saying? | 你的意思是? | 
| [18:46] | I’m saying we need to get | 我的意思是我们需要得到 | 
| [18:48] | a reversal with prejudice. | 推翻判决且不准许再审的结果 | 
| [18:52] | Lindsay’s best chance at freedom | 林赛获得自由的最佳机会 | 
| [18:53] | is with the S. J. C., | 是在州最高法院 | 
| [18:55] | not at a trial court, | 而不是重审法庭 | 
| [18:56] | and the only way we get a reversal with prejudice | 而我们得到这个结果的唯一方法是 | 
| [18:58] | is prosecutorial misconduct. | 追究检方的不当行为 | 
| [19:02] | Okay. | 明白了 | 
| [19:05] | Anything else? | 还有别的事吗? | 
| [19:06] | Yes. | 有 | 
| [19:10] | I know you’re nervous. | 我知道你很紧张 | 
| [19:11] | It’s quite natural for you to be scared, | 你感到害怕和怯场是很自然的事 | 
| [19:14] | intimidated, | 你感到害怕和怯场是很自然的事 | 
| [19:15] | but what you need to remember, Rebecca, is… | 但Rebecca,你需要记住的是。。。 | 
| [19:19] | there’s a reason why we picked you. | 我们选你是有原因的 | 
| [19:21] | Your advocacy skills, | 你的辩护技巧 | 
| [19:23] | your command of the law, | 你对法律的精通 | 
| [19:25] | your passion. | 你的激情 | 
| [19:27] | We all believe in you. | 我们都信任你 | 
| [19:30] | Lindsay does. | Lindsay也是 | 
| [19:32] | Most of all, | 最重要的是 | 
| [19:35] | I do. | 我也是 | 
| [19:39] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 | 
| [19:42] | Off we go. | 我们走吧 | 
| [19:54] | MAN: All rise. | 全体起立 | 
| [20:02] | MAN: Be seated. | 请坐下 | 
| [20:07] | Stand up, Ms. Gamble. | Gamble女士,请站起来 | 
| [20:11] | I watched that tape, | 我看了那盘录像带 | 
| [20:13] | and once again, | 我再一次地 | 
| [20:15] | I find myself disgusted | 对你的那些手段感到恶心 | 
| [20:17] | by your tactics. | 对你的那些手段感到恶心 | 
| [20:19] | Trickery and deceit | 计谋和哄骗或许是符合宪法的 | 
| [20:21] | may pass constitutional muster, | 计谋和哄骗或许是符合宪法的 | 
| [20:23] | but it gives you, | 但这给你 | 
| [20:25] | this court, | 给这个法庭 | 
| [20:27] | and the concept of honor | 及其荣辱观念带来极大的损害 | 
| [20:29] | a very black eye. | 及其荣辱观念带来极大的损害 | 
| [20:32] | I hear you complain all the time | 我听你总是抱怨公信力的降低 | 
| [20:34] | about the erosion of public trust, | 我听你总是抱怨公信力的降低 | 
| [20:36] | and yet, your own behavior | 然而,你自己的行为对此却毫不重视 | 
| [20:39] | puts no value on it. | 然而,你自己的行为对此却毫不重视 | 
| [20:42] | Go stand in the corner. | 面壁思过去吧 | 
| [20:45] | I beg your pardon? | 您说什么? | 
| [20:47] | KITTLESON: You heard me. | 别装没听见 | 
| [20:48] | Go in that corner and stand. | 面壁思过去吧 | 
| [20:52] | Face in. | 脸冲着墙 | 
| [20:55] | Your Honor, with all due respect | 法官大人,尽管我尊重您在这个法庭上的权威。。。 | 
| [20:57] | to your authority in this room– | 法官大人,尽管我尊重您在这个法庭上的权威。。。 | 
| [20:58] | You’ll feel the extent of that authority | 律师,如果你违抗的话 | 
| [21:00] | if you defy it, counsel. | 你将体会到我的权威大到什么样的程度 | 
| [21:01] | I’m not about– March yourself | – 我不打算去。。。 – 现在自己走到墙角去 | 
| [21:04] | into that corner now, | – 我不打算去。。。 – 现在自己走到墙角去 | 
| [21:05] | or you go to a jail cell! | 否则就去监房! | 
| [21:21] | KITTLESON: Mr. Berluti, | Berluti先生 | 
| [21:22] | your client was not represented | 你的当事人在审讯时是没有代理律师的 | 
| [21:25] | by counsel at the time | 你的当事人在审讯时是没有代理律师的 | 
| [21:26] | of this interrogation. | 你的当事人在审讯时是没有代理律师的 | 
| [21:28] | She had no time asked for a lawyer, | 她没有时间要求找一个律师 | 
| [21:30] | and however deceived, | 不管她如何被哄骗 | 
| [21:32] | tired, and badgered | 如何疲惫不堪,如何被反复纠缠 | 
| [21:34] | she may have been, | 也许她是这样的 | 
| [21:35] | there is no indication that her statement | 但没有迹象表明她的陈述 | 
| [21:37] | wasn’t voluntary. | 不是自愿的 | 
| [21:39] | The confession, | 因此,这份供述 | 
| [21:40] | however putridly obtained, | 无论获取方法多么令人厌恶 | 
| [21:44] | therefore, stands. | 但还是有效的 | 
| [21:47] | The defendant will stay in custody. | 将被告收押 | 
| [21:49] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 | 
| [22:16] | I represent the real kidnapper. | 我是那个真正绑匪的代理律师 | 
| [22:19] | This is ex parte. | 这可是单方面和法官接触 | 
| [22:20] | It isn’t Bernice White! | 不是Bernice White干的! | 
| [22:21] | Get out of here! BERLUTI: If she goes to trial with a confession, | – 出去! – 如果她带着这份供述出庭受审 | 
| [22:24] | she’s gone– | 她就完了。。。 | 
| [22:25] | KITTLESON: You are one sentence away | 你离Helen Gamble差点去的监房只有一步之遥 | 
| [22:26] | from the jail cell Helen Gamble almost got. | 你离Helen Gamble差点去的监房只有一步之遥 | 
| [22:28] | This is ex parte, | 这是单方面接触法官 | 
| [22:30] | highly improper! | 极不正当的! | 
| [22:32] | I will disregard it | 如果再说一个字 | 
| [22:33] | in its entirety and ask for your bar card | 我不仅完全不予理会 | 
| [22:35] | if you utter another syllable! | 还要扣下你的律师证 | 
| [22:39] | Convince your other client | 如果你愿意就让你另一个当事人去自首 | 
| [22:40] | to turn herself in if you want, | 如果你愿意就让你另一个当事人去自首 | 
| [22:42] | but don’t you dare come to me. | 但别胆大妄为地来找我 | 
| [22:50] | Jimmy… | |
| [22:54] | Nothing. | 没什么事 | 
| [22:55] | Go. | 走吧 | 
| [23:00] | What? | 怎么了? | 
| [23:02] | I was about to say | 我是打算 | 
| [23:06] | on a more personal note. | 以个人角度问问你 | 
| [23:11] | How are you? | 你还好吗? | 
| [23:14] | Fine. | 挺好的 | 
| [23:17] | How are you? | 您呢? | 
| [23:20] | I’m, um… | 我,呃。。。 | 
| [23:24] | okay. | 还好 | 
| [24:00] | WASHINGTON: May it please the court, | 有请庭上 | 
| [24:01] | my name is Rebecca Washington, | 我是Rebecca Washington | 
| [24:04] | and I represent the appellant, | 就州诉Lindsay Dole一案 | 
| [24:05] | Lindsay Dole, | 就州诉Lindsay Dole一案 | 
| [24:06] | in the matter of the Commonwealth | 代表上诉人Lindsay Dole | 
| [24:08] | vs. Dole. | 代表上诉人Lindsay Dole | 
| [24:09] | You are in receipt of our appellate brief, | 法庭已收到了我们的上诉状 | 
| [24:12] | and I would like to address the court | 就该文件中几个概述性问题 | 
| [24:13] | on several issues outlined | 我想当庭发言阐述 | 
| [24:15] | in that document. | 我想当庭发言阐述 | 
| [24:17] | First, | 首先 | 
| [24:18] | during trial, | 在本案审理期间 | 
| [24:20] | The Commonwealth referred to the fact | 州检提出了Dole女士在枪击事发当晚 | 
| [24:21] | that Ms. Dole initially chose to speak | 州检提出了Dole女士在枪击事发当晚 | 
| [24:24] | with lawyers instead of the police | 最初选择和律师而不是和警方沟通这一事实 | 
| [24:25] | the night of the shooting. | 最初选择和律师而不是和警方沟通这一事实 | 
| [24:27] | Ms. Dole, like any criminal defendant, | 如同其他刑事犯罪被告一样 | 
| [24:29] | had the constitutional right | Dole女士享有宪法赋予的拒绝与警方谈话的权力 | 
| [24:31] | not to speak to the police. | Dole女士享有宪法赋予的拒绝与警方谈话的权力 | 
| [24:33] | A constitutional right | 享有宪法赋予的与律师协商的权力 | 
| [24:35] | to confer with attorneys, | 享有宪法赋予的与律师协商的权力 | 
| [24:37] | and it was reversible error | 而Walsh先生把这些权利的行使作为针对她的不利证据 | 
| [24:40] | for Mr. Walsh to use the exercising | 而Walsh先生把这些权利的行使作为针对她的不利证据 | 
| [24:42] | of those rights | 是一种足以撤销判决的错误 | 
| [24:44] | as evidence against her. | 是一种足以撤销判决的错误 | 
| [24:45] | Was an objection made | 在庭审中基于这些理由提出过反对意见吗? | 
| [24:46] | on those grounds at trial? | 在庭审中基于这些理由提出过反对意见吗? | 
| [24:48] | Yes, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人 | 
| [24:49] | Ms. Frutt objected. | Frutt女士提出了反对 | 
| [24:50] | Actually, she objected | 实际上,她反对的是 | 
| [24:51] | that the question sought privileged information, | 这个问题涉及到保密特权信息 | 
| [24:54] | not that the question was unconstitutional. | 而不是这个问题是违宪的 | 
| [24:56] | WASHINGTON: Even if the objection | 即使这个反对意见在法律上存在缺陷 | 
| [24:57] | was legally flawed, | 即使这个反对意见在法律上存在缺陷 | 
| [24:59] | Mr. Walsh went further. | 但Walsh先生更进一步 | 
| [25:00] | He argued that Ms. Dole’s decision | 他辩称Dole女士决定和自己的律师沟通的行为是 | 
| [25:03] | to speak with her lawyers was, | 他辩称Dole女士决定和自己的律师沟通的行为是 | 
| [25:04] | and I quote, | 我引用他的原话 | 
| [25:06] | “Consistent with the behavior | “这与有罪之人的行为一致” | 
| [25:09] | of guilty people.” | “这与有罪之人的行为一致” | 
| [25:10] | Ms. Frutt didn’t object to that. | Frutt没有就此提出反对 | 
| [25:12] | We maintained Judge West, | 尽管如此, | 
| [25:14] | nevertheless, should’ve struck | 我们坚持认为West法官本应主动禁止这种表述 | 
| [25:16] | the statement sua sponte. | 我们坚持认为West法官本应主动禁止这种表述 | 
| [25:17] | Moreover, | 此外 | 
| [25:18] | Mr. Walsh made other errors. | Walsh先生还犯了其他错误 | 
| [25:20] | He argued that the shooting | 他提出枪击是行事模式的一部分 | 
| [25:22] | was part of a pattern, | 他提出枪击是行事模式的一部分 | 
| [25:23] | that my client | 称我的当事人和她的丈夫 | 
| [25:25] | and her husband were in the habit | 都有杀掉他们当事人的习惯 | 
| [25:27] | of killing clients. | 都有杀掉他们当事人的习惯 | 
| [25:29] | Can’t the prosecution use character evidence | 难道控方不能用品格证据去质疑辩方证人吗? | 
| [25:32] | to impeach a defense witness? | 难道控方不能用品格证据去质疑辩方证人吗? | 
| [25:34] | Not if that evidence | 如果证据是带有过度偏见性的话就不能 | 
| [25:35] | is overly prejudicial, | 如果证据是带有过度偏见性的话就不能 | 
| [25:37] | and such character evidence, | 况且这个品格证据 | 
| [25:38] | prejudicial or not, | 不管是不是带有偏见性 | 
| [25:40] | is inadmissible | 在没有事先知会的情况下是不能被采纳的 | 
| [25:41] | without prior notice. | 在没有事先知会的情况下是不能被采纳的 | 
| [25:42] | We never got that notice. | 我们从未就此得到知会 | 
| [25:43] | And where’s your objection to that? | 你们对此提出反对了吗? | 
| [25:45] | WASHINGTON: If you refer to the transcript, | 如果您查阅记录 | 
| [25:46] | you’ll see Ms. Frutt made a timely objection | 您将看到Walsh先生一提到涉及到Hinks先生的证据时 | 
| [25:49] | once Mr. Walsh introduced | 您将看到Walsh先生一提到涉及到Hinks先生的证据时 | 
| [25:51] | the evidence concerning Mr. Hinks. | Frutt女士就及时地提出了反对 | 
| [25:53] | I see an objection going to prejudice. | 我看到一个针对偏见性的反对意见 | 
| [25:54] | I see nothing going to notice. | 没有什么值得注意的 | 
| [25:56] | It was a general objection, | 这是一个常规性的反对意见 | 
| [25:57] | which under Massachusetts law– | 基于马萨诸塞州法律。。。 | 
| [25:59] | You agree there was sufficient evidence | 你是否认可有足够的证据给你的当事人定罪? | 
| [26:01] | to convict your client? | 你是否同意有足够的证据给你的当事人定罪? | 
| [26:03] | WASHINGTON: We agree the evidence | 我们认可这些证据或许可以支持过失杀人罪名 | 
| [26:04] | might have supported manslaughter, | 我们认可这些证据或许可以支持过失杀人罪名 | 
| [26:06] | but not– You don’t deny she shot him? | – 但不是。。。 – 你不否认她向他开了枪? | 
| [26:08] | No, we do not. | 不,我们不否认 | 
| [26:09] | You just disagree with the verdict? | 你们只是不认可这个判决? | 
| [26:11] | We maintain the trial was unfair, | 我们坚持认为这次审理是不公正的 | 
| [26:15] | that the prosecutor committed | 检方犯下多起可导致撤销判决的错误 | 
| [26:16] | multiple reversible errors. | 检方犯下多起可导致撤销判决的错误 | 
| [26:18] | JUDGE: Oh, did you ever move for a mistrial? | 噢,你们可曾提出要求无效判决的动议吗? | 
| [26:21] | No, | 没有 | 
| [26:22] | but under Massachusetts general law | 但基于马萨诸塞州法律。。。 | 
| [26:23] | So basically, | 那总的来说 | 
| [26:25] | you took your shot, and you’re here | 你们承认开了枪, | 
| [26:26] | because you don’t like the result? | 现在来此只是因为你们对结果不满意? | 
| [26:29] | I’m here because of something called | 我来此是因为第五修正案 | 
| [26:32] | the Fifth Amendment. | 我来此是因为第五修正案 | 
| [26:33] | I’m here because of something called | 我来此还因为第六修正案 | 
| [26:36] | the Sixth Amendment. | 我来此还因为第六修正案 | 
| [26:37] | Basic Constitutional Rights | 属于Lindsay Dole 的基本宪法权利 | 
| [26:40] | belonging to Lindsay Dole | 属于Lindsay Dole 的基本宪法权利 | 
| [26:41] | that the prosecutor | 被检方公然践踏 | 
| [26:42] | blatantly trampled. | 被检方公然践踏 | 
| [26:44] | We’re not talking | 我们谈论的不是 | 
| [26:45] | about subtle shades of gray | 一两个公民自由权力遭到侵犯的微小灰色地带 | 
| [26:47] | where a civil liberty or two was encroached upon | 一两个公民自由权力遭到侵犯的微小灰色地带 | 
| [26:51] | He plowed over them | 他粗暴地践踏了它们 | 
| [26:52] | with a tank. | 他粗暴地践踏了它们 | 
| [26:54] | Mr. Walsh showed contempt | Walsh先生展现出对宪法的藐视 | 
| [26:57] | for the constitution. | Walsh先生展现出对宪法的藐视 | 
| [26:59] | He had no regard | 他根本不尊重基本的公民自由权力 | 
| [27:00] | for fundamental civil liberties, | 他根本不尊重基本的公民自由权力 | 
| [27:02] | and I’m here today | 我今天来此 | 
| [27:03] | under the assumption | 是假定你们七位对此是尊重的 | 
| [27:04] | that the seven of you do. | 是假定你们七位对此是尊重的 | 
| [27:06] | Lectures… | 说教。。。 | 
| [27:07] | aren’t generally effective. | 通常是没有用的 | 
| [27:11] | And I wouldn’t presume | 我不敢对你们进行说教 | 
| [27:12] | to lecture you, | 我不敢对你们进行说教 | 
| [27:14] | but I will use part of my time | 但我会用一部分时间 | 
| [27:15] | to enter indignation into the record | 把我的愤慨正式表达出来 | 
| [27:18] | because I think a lack of it | 因为愤慨的缺失就是问题的一部分 | 
| [27:19] | is part of the problem. | 因为愤慨的缺失就是问题的一部分 | 
| [27:21] | Police lie today. | 警察在编造谎言 | 
| [27:23] | So do prosecutors, | 检方也是如此 | 
| [27:24] | and it doesn’t so much as raise a judicial eyebrow | 而这些并没有引起司法界的质疑 | 
| [27:27] | because it goes on all the time. | 因为这一直在持续发生着 | 
| [27:29] | Everybody’s jaded. | 所有人都对此见怪不怪了 | 
| [27:31] | It doesn’t shock anybody’s conscience, | 不会使任何人的良知受到震动 | 
| [27:33] | and I’m here saying | 我在此要说的是 | 
| [27:34] | it should shock yours. | 这应该让你们感到震动 | 
| [27:36] | This man wanted his verdict. | 这个人想得到他希望的判决结果 | 
| [27:39] | He said, “Forget the Bill of Rights.” | 他说“别理会人权法案” | 
| [27:41] | And he’s hoping | 他希望你们也抱着同样的态度 | 
| [27:42] | you cop the same attitude. | 他期望你们也抱着同样的态度 | 
| [27:45] | I am here hoping otherwise. | 而我期望不会这样的 | 
| [28:01] | STRINGER: It’s not my place to second-guess you. | 按说我不应该来事后评论 | 
| [28:03] | Then why are you about to? | 那你要干什么? | 
| [28:05] | Because you have violated so many ethical rules. | 因为你违反了很多道德准则了 | 
| [28:07] | The conflict of interests. | 利益冲突 | 
| [28:08] | You charge in to see a judge ex parte. | 你冲进去单方面接触法官 | 
| [28:10] | Lucy tells me you even used to sleep with this judge. | Lucy告诉我你甚至和那个法官上过床 | 
| [28:13] | I never said for her to tell you I told her that. | 我从没让她告诉你我告诉过她那些 | 
| [28:18] | You forget we have squeal laws. | 你忘了我们有严格的法律 | 
| [28:20] | Technically, I’m obligated to report | 严格来说,我有义务要去律师协会 | 
| [28:22] | to the bar all of this. | 把你这些事通通举报 | 
| [28:23] | Then why don’t you do that? | 那你为什么不去呀? | 
| [28:25] | I’m not looking to do that. | 我不想那样做 | 
| [28:26] | Then what do you want, Jamie? | 那你想要怎么样,Jamie? | 
| [28:28] | Why are you being so mean to me? | 你为什么对我这么刻薄? | 
| [28:37] | Look, | 听我说 | 
| [28:38] | I made a mistake | 我犯了个错误 | 
| [28:40] | that resulted in a person being arrested | 导致一个人无辜被捕 | 
| [28:44] | for a crime she didn’t commit. | 导致一个人无辜被捕 | 
| [28:48] | The likelihood is, | 很可能的是 | 
| [28:50] | I can’t undo that mistake. | 我无法挽回那个错误 | 
| [28:52] | She’s going to prison. | 她会去坐牢的 | 
| [28:55] | I don’t mean to be acting out against you, | 我不是故意冲你撒气的 | 
| [28:58] | but– | 但。。。 | 
| [29:00] | well, you’re there. | 呃,你刚好赶上了 | 
| [29:05] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 | 
| [29:15] | Trials need to be fair, | 案件审理需要的是公平 | 
| [29:17] | not perfect. | 而不是完美 | 
| [29:18] | Even if some of my questions went too far | 即使我的一些问题太过分了 | 
| [29:21] | and I make no such concession, | 但我不会就此妥协的 | 
| [29:25] | it was harmless error. | 这是无害的错误 | 
| [29:26] | Oh, come on, Mr. Walsh. | 噢,得了吧,Walsh先生 | 
| [29:27] | You raise another murder | 你举出另一起谋杀案 | 
| [29:29] | and link the defendant to it? | 并与被告联系起来? | 
| [29:30] | WALSH: As Your Honor correctly noted, | 正如法官大人正确地指出那样 | 
| [29:32] | we linked Bobby Donnell to it, a witness. | 我们是把Bobby Donnell,一个证人,联系起来的 | 
| [29:35] | We have every right to impeach. Well, you called it a pattern, | – 我们完全有权质疑他 – 可以把这称之为一种模式 | 
| [29:38] | and you also linked it to Lindsay Dole. | 而且你也把这联系到了Lindsay Dole身上 | 
| [29:40] | The jury was instructed that the lawyers’ questions | 陪审团被告知律师们的问题和争论并不作为证据 | 
| [29:42] | and arguments are not evidence. | 陪审团被告知律师们的问题和争论并不作为证据 | 
| [29:43] | Still, it’s a little hard | 不过,不预先提醒还是有些令人难以接受,不是吗? | 
| [29:44] | to un-ring a bell, isn’t it? | 不过,不预先提醒还是有些令人难以接受,不是吗? | 
| [29:46] | Moreover, Ms. Frutt didn’t ask | 而且,Frutt女士没有要求法官 | 
| [29:48] | for any curative instructions. | 向陪审团做出纠正性指示 | 
| [29:49] | She didn’t move for a mistrial. | 她也没有提出无效审判动议 | 
| [29:51] | They’re raising things here | 他们在此提出的问题 | 
| [29:52] | they effectively waived. | 实际是他们当初所放弃的 | 
| [29:54] | What about your introducing | 关于你抛出自己的个人想法一事呢? | 
| [29:55] | your own personal beliefs? | 关于你抛出自己的个人想法一事呢? | 
| [29:57] | In your opening, you said | 在你的开庭陈述中,你说你不会开枪的 | 
| [29:59] | you wouldn’t have shot the man. | 在你的开庭陈述中,你说你不会开枪的 | 
| [30:01] | If that was improper– | 如果那是不恰当的话 | 
| [30:02] | It was. | 那就是不恰当的 | 
| [30:04] | Then I would again ask where’s the harm? | 那我会再问一次这有什么危害? | 
| [30:07] | I think we can assume | 我认为我们能假设 | 
| [30:08] | that the jury assumed going in | 陪审团认为我不会开枪 | 
| [30:10] | I wouldn’t have shot the man. | 陪审团认为我不会开枪 | 
| [30:11] | My saying it hardly made much noise. | 我那么说很难造成影响 | 
| [30:13] | You think you took the high road here, Mr. Walsh? | 你认为你采用的是诚实高尚的方式吗,Walsh先生? | 
| [30:17] | The high road? | 诚实高尚? | 
| [30:17] | Yes. | 对 | 
| [30:20] | My answer to that would be, | 我的回答是,可能是的 | 
| [30:21] | murder trials are typically low roads. | 谋杀案的审理通常都是低俗卑劣的 | 
| [30:25] | They get ugly, | 是丑陋的 | 
| [30:27] | often personal. | 经常掺杂个人感情 | 
| [30:28] | Not that the doctrine of unclean hands is applicable, | 并不是说不洁之手原则在此适用 (不洁之手原则是指,辩诉双方中的某方行为是不道德的 或不诚实的,那另一方就可以借此辩称对方诉求不应得到满足) | 
| [30:31] | but let’s look at some | 但是让我们看看某些辩护律师的招数吧 | 
| [30:32] | of the defense counsel’s tactics. | 但是让我们看看某些辩护律师的招数吧 | 
| [30:34] | Those aren’t in issue here. | 那些不是在此要争论的问题 | 
| [30:36] | They are as a context to mine,and– | 但那些是我的行为产生的背景,而且。。。 | 
| [30:38] | It would be a mistake | 专注于抗御行为是一个错误 | 
| [30:39] | to focus on defense conduct. | 专注于抗御行为是一个错误 | 
| [30:44] | My actions… | 我的行为。。。 | 
| [30:45] | did not cause Lindsay Dole | 并没有导致Lindsay Dole被定罪为谋杀 | 
| [30:47] | to be convicted of murder. | 并没有导致Lindsay Dole被定罪为谋杀 | 
| [30:49] | Her actions lead to that result. | 她自己的行为导致了那个结果 | 
| [30:52] | She received a fair trial. | 她得到了一次公平的审判 | 
| [30:54] | She had an army of attorneys. | 她拥有一支律师团队 | 
| [30:56] | She got a better defense | 她得到了比大多数被告更好的辩护 | 
| [30:58] | than most defendants. | 她得到了比大多数被告更好的辩护 | 
| [31:00] | The jury heard all the evidence, | 陪审团听取了所有的证据 | 
| [31:02] | they were properly instructed, | 他们也得到了适当的指示 | 
| [31:03] | and they made their unanimous finding. | 然后他们达成了一致的判决 | 
| [31:07] | Ms. Dole lost, | Dole女士输了 | 
| [31:10] | and this court | 这个法庭 | 
| [31:11] | cannot disregard a verdict | 不能仅仅是因为持有不同意见就漠视这个判决 | 
| [31:14] | merely because it disagrees with it. | 不能仅仅是因为持有不同意见就漠视这个判决 | 
| [31:20] | BERLUTI: They’ll assign a trial date. | 他们会定一个开庭日期 | 
| [31:22] | We go from there. | 从那时开始 | 
| [31:23] | Jamie will keep you updated | Jamie会及时告知你最新的审前的进展情况 | 
| [31:25] | on all the pretrial developments. | Jamie会及时告知你最新的审前的进展情况 | 
| [31:27] | You can call her or me anytime. | 你可以随时找她或者我 | 
| [31:29] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [31:30] | We’re not going to give up. | 我们不会放弃的 | 
| [31:32] | I promise you that. | 我向你保证这一点 | 
| [31:39] | Why are you being so kind? | 你为什么对我这么好? | 
| [31:41] | Because I know you’re innocent. | 因为我知道你是无辜的 | 
| [31:43] | And because you feel responsible? | 也因为你感到对此负有责任吗? | 
| [31:47] | I know the real kidnapper is your client. | 我知道真正的绑架者是你的当事人 | 
| [31:49] | I read the newspapers. | 我看了报纸 | 
| [31:52] | Like you said, | 如你所说 | 
| [31:53] | it’s why I was arrested. | 这是我被逮捕的原因 | 
| [31:57] | Why can’t you just tell the police who she is? | 为什么你不干脆告诉警方她是谁呢? | 
| [32:00] | Because I can’t. | 因为我不能那样做 | 
| [32:02] | I’ll do almost anything else, | 其他的事我几乎都可以做 | 
| [32:03] | but I can’t do that. | 但这个我不能做 | 
| [32:04] | Yes, you can. | 不,你能做的 | 
| [32:05] | You mean you won’t. | 你的意思是你不会去做 | 
| [32:09] | I won’t. | 我不会的 | 
| [32:12] | I’m gonna be convicted. | 我会被定罪的 | 
| [32:16] | We all know it. | 我们都明白这点 | 
| [32:18] | And you won’t tell. | 而你不会去说出真相 | 
| [32:21] | That must be very hard to live with. | 那一定很难忍受的 | 
| [32:27] | Is it? | 是吗? | 
| [32:36] | Has anybody seen Jamie? | 有人看到Jamie了吗? | 
| [32:38] | HATCHER: She said something about an appointment. | 她说过有一个预约 | 
| [32:40] | Please let her know she’s expected | 请通知她我们要她和我们一起去 | 
| [32:42] | to check in with us. | 请通知她我们要她和我们一起去 | 
| [32:44] | Ellenor, | |
| [32:46] | can I see you a second in my office? | 能来我办公室一会儿吗? | 
| [33:02] | You know that I know | 你知道我是认为 | 
| [33:04] | you tried an excellent case. | 你的案子是办得很好的 | 
| [33:07] | But judging from the questions | 但根据高等法院给Bec提出的问题来看 | 
| [33:08] | the Supreme Court put to Bec, | 但根据高等法院给Bec提出的问题来看 | 
| [33:10] | we think they think | 我们觉得他们是认为 | 
| [33:13] | there was inadequate counsel. | 存在律师辩护不力的情况 | 
| [33:16] | They were group mistakes. | 这种情况是集体的错误 | 
| [33:17] | No, they were mine. | 不,是我的错误 | 
| [33:20] | They were trial blunders. | 那些是庭审中的失误 | 
| [33:21] | The decisions were– FRUTT: Bobby, – Bobby | – 这些决定是。。。 | 
| [33:23] | I was at the S. J. C. | 我去了高等法院 | 
| [33:24] | I heard the questions. | 我听到那些问题了 | 
| [33:26] | They were trial mistakes. | 那些是庭审中的错误 | 
| [33:30] | YOUNG: We’re going to start preparing an appeal | 我们要开始准备基于无效辩护理由的上诉 | 
| [33:31] | on ineffective assistance. | 我们要开始准备基于无效辩护理由的上诉 | 
| [33:34] | It might be too late, but… | 这也许太晚了,不过。。。 | 
| [33:36] | We feel we need to try everything. | 我们觉得什么都要试一试 | 
| [33:38] | I don’t disagree with your decision, Bobby. | 我不反对你的决定,Bobby | 
| [33:42] | Anything else? | 还有别的事吗? | 
| [33:46] | No. | 没有了 | 
| [34:12] | STRINGER: Ms. Halpern, May I speak to you? | Halpern女士,我可以和你谈谈吗? | 
| [34:15] | I won’t take very long. | 我不会占你太多时间的 | 
| [34:25] | First off, | 首先 | 
| [34:26] | let me assure you I am not here | 我向你保证 | 
| [34:28] | at the request of Mr. Berluti. | 不是Berluti先生让我来这儿 | 
| [34:31] | He’ll probably want me fired | 如果他发现了这事 | 
| [34:33] | when he finds out. | 可能会想让我被解雇的 | 
| [34:34] | Then why are you here? | 那你为什么来这儿? | 
| [34:37] | Well, | 是这样的 | 
| [34:39] | I’ve been pretty much an observer on this case, | 我在这个案子上几乎是个旁观者 | 
| [34:42] | but from my observations, | 但根据我的观察 | 
| [34:46] | I think it’s only a matter of time. | 我想这只是时间问题 | 
| [34:49] | Ms. Stringer, if they haven’t found me after 16 years, | Stringer女士,如果他们16年都没有抓到我 | 
| [34:52] | I hardly think– STRINGER: I don’t mean the police. | – 我很难想象。。。 – 我不是说警方 | 
| [34:54] | I mean you. | 我是说你 | 
| [34:57] | I think you’re inching | 我觉得你再慢慢滑向自首的那一步 | 
| [34:58] | towards turning yourself in, | 我觉得你再慢慢滑向自首的那一步 | 
| [35:01] | whether it’s showing up in court | 不管是你去法庭旁听 | 
| [35:03] | or coming to our office | 还是不顾我们的反对跑到我们事务所来 | 
| [35:04] | even when we tell you not to. | 还是不顾我们的反对跑到我们事务所来 | 
| [35:06] | Even by seeking out the victims | 甚至通过寻找受害者给她们金钱的补偿 | 
| [35:08] | to give them money, | 甚至通过寻找受害者给她们金钱的补偿 | 
| [35:09] | you were putting something in motion. | 你是正在推动这些事 | 
| [35:11] | I can’t live in jail. | 我不能进监狱 | 
| [35:13] | Obviously you’re having difficulty | 显然你对现在事态发展感到棘手 | 
| [35:15] | with the way things are now, | 显然你对现在事态发展感到棘手 | 
| [35:18] | and when Bernice White starts serving | 但当Bernice White要开始服二十五年到终身监禁的刑时 | 
| [35:20] | a 25-year-to-life term, | 但当Bernice White要开始服二十五年到终身监禁的刑时 | 
| [35:23] | you will never live with that. | 你会绝对无法承受的 | 
| [35:33] | I’m not trying to talk you | 我不是在说服你去做什么 | 
| [35:35] | into anything. | 我不是在说服你去做什么 | 
| [35:37] | I’m only encouraging you to hurry | 我只是鼓励你 | 
| [35:39] | to the place you’re already headed for, | 快点走出你已经要走出的那一步吧 | 
| [35:43] | for Bernice White’s sake | 看在Bernice White的份上 | 
| [35:45] | and… | 还有。。。 | 
| [35:47] | I guess, your own. | 我想,也为了你自己 | 
| [35:56] | What are you doing here? | 你在这儿干吗? | 
| [36:00] | Oh, I just needed to get some signatures. | 哦,我只是需要得到一些签字 | 
| [36:03] | Signatures on what? | 签什么字? | 
| [36:11] | Actually, | 其实 | 
| [36:12] | we were discussing a crime | 我们在讨论一桩我在16年前犯下的罪行 | 
| [36:16] | I committed 16 years ago. | 我们在讨论一桩我在16年前犯下的罪行 | 
| [36:24] | It’s a two-prong test. | 这是双重证明标准 (美国法律中对无效辩护的证明标准,即由被告人证明 辩护律师失职,且失职行为可导致判决结果的不同) | 
| [36:27] | First, we have to prove that our representation | 首先,我们必须证明我们的表现 | 
| [36:28] | was measurably below that of an ordinary lawyer. | 明显低于普通律师 | 
| [36:30] | What’s measurably? | 怎么衡量呢? | 
| [36:31] | It’s like the definition on obscenity. | 这就如同对淫秽的定义一样 | 
| [36:34] | They know it when they see it. | 一看到就明白了 | 
| [36:35] | And the second prong? | 第二个方面呢? | 
| [36:36] | But for our incompetence, | 如果不是我们的失职 | 
| [36:38] | Lindsay would’ve been acquitted. | Lindsay可能会脱罪 | 
| [36:40] | Oh, that’s gonna be tough to prove. | 噢,这一点会很难证明 | 
| [36:43] | Bobby, clerk’s office, S. J. C. | Bobby,州最高法院书记处的电话 | 
| [36:56] | Hello. This is Bobby Donnell. | 你好,我是Bobby Donnell | 
| [36:57] | Why didn’t they call me? | 他们为什么不打给我? | 
| [36:59] | Shh! Shh yourself. | – 嘘! – 你也别出声 | 
| [37:01] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [37:04] | Uh-huh. | 嗯 | 
| [37:11] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 | 
| [37:18] | Based on Fifth and Sixth Amendment violations, | 基于违反第五修正案和第六修正案 | 
| [37:24] | Lindsay’s conviction has been… | Lindsay的定罪被。。。 | 
| [37:28] | reversed. | 撤销。 | 
| [37:33] | They’ve ordered a new trial. | 他们下令进行重审 | 
| [37:39] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 | 
| [37:41] | It wasn’t everything we wanted. | 这不是我们最希望的结果 | 
| [37:43] | But it’s a chance. | 但这是一次机会 | 
| [37:48] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 | 
| [38:01] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 | 
| [38:09] | I don’t give a damn. | 我一点也不在乎! | 
| [38:10] | That isn’t true. | 别装了 | 
| [38:11] | WALSH: Hey, it gives me a chance to beat them twice. | 喂,这给了我击败他们两次的机会 | 
| [38:14] | Truth be told, I hate that firm so much, | 说实话,我恨死那家事务所了 | 
| [38:17] | just the opportunity to stick it to ’em twice, | 这只不过是两次击败他们的机会而已 | 
| [38:20] | suddenly, there’s something to get juiced for. | 这下子,有大事可做了 | 
| [38:22] | They’ll never win a retrial. | 他们绝对不会赢下重审的 | 
| [38:24] | You watch, they’ll come crawling | 你瞧着吧,他们会爬着过来恳求达成交易 | 
| [38:25] | looking to plead. | 你瞧着吧,他们会爬着过来恳求达成交易 | 
| [38:27] | Forget it. | 没门儿 | 
| [38:28] | She’s never getting out of prison. | 她永远也出不了监狱的 | 
| [38:30] | Never. | 永远 | 
| [38:30] | You sound a little rabid. | 你听起来有点疯了 | 
| [38:33] | I know you like those people, Helen. | Helen,我知道你喜欢这些人 | 
| [38:35] | I don’t. | 可我不是 | 
| [38:37] | They’re the pricks in my side. | 他们是缠着我的一群混蛋 | 
| [38:39] | I think you mean thorns. | 我觉得你说的是刺儿吧 | 
| [38:49] | we went to your office. | 我们去你办公室找你 | 
| [38:51] | They said you were here. | 他们说你在这儿 | 
| [38:54] | This is Melissa Halpern. | 这位是Melissa Halpern | 
| [38:57] | She’s the person who kidnapped | 她就是16年前绑架Sally Burns的孩子的那个人 | 
| [38:59] | Sally Burns’ baby 16-years ago. | 她就是16年前绑架Sally Burns的孩子的那个人 | 
| [39:29] | It’s over. | 完事了 | 
| [39:31] | You’re free. | 你自由了 | 
| [39:33] | The real kidnapper came forward. | 那个真正的绑架犯自首了 | 
| [39:36] | It’ll be in the papers tomorrow. | 明天报纸上就会登出来了 | 
| [39:41] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 | 
| [39:44] | I didn’t mean to usurp anybody. | 我不是故意要越权的 | 
| [39:48] | You’re an associate. | 你是个初级律师 | 
| [39:49] | You take the assignments we give you. | 让你干什么就干什么 | 
| [39:51] | You do not get creative. | 不要自作主张 | 
| [39:53] | You do not go to clients behind our backs. | 你不能背着我们去找客户 | 
| [39:55] | I knew it was something Jimmy– | 我知道Jimmy有些事。。。 | 
| [39:56] | You don’t make excuses | 你知道做错了时候别找借口 | 
| [39:57] | when you know what you did was wrong. | 你知道做错了时候别找借口 | 
| [39:58] | I’m sorry! | 对不起! | 
| [40:02] | Oh, is it that not the approved associate tone? | 哦,这不是初级律师可以用的口气吧? | 
| [40:06] | This isn’t going to work if that’s the attitude | 如果你抱着这样的态度是行不通的 | 
| [40:08] | you’re coming in with. | 如果你抱着这样的态度是行不通的 | 
| [40:11] | I knew that what I was doing | 我知道我所做的 | 
| [40:12] | was unconventional and risky. | 是非常规的和冒险的 | 
| [40:17] | But I saw something in this woman, | 但我从那个女人身上看出了些什么 | 
| [40:20] | and I really thought I could help. | 我真的认为我可以起作用 | 
| [40:24] | Next time, | 下一次 | 
| [40:26] | you check with us first. | 你先和我们商量一下 | 
| [40:28] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [40:32] | DONNELL: Square one, forensics, | 从头开始,法医 | 
| [40:33] | psychiatrists, ballistics. | 精神病医生,弹道学家 | 
| [40:35] | We go through it like it’s the first time. | 我们就像是第一次审理一样 | 
| [40:36] | What are you expecting to find? | 你想发现些什么呢? | 
| [40:38] | Something. | 什么都行 | 
| [40:39] | We have to have something new | 我们必须要为重审找出些新东西来 | 
| [40:41] | for the second trial. | 我们必须要为重审找出些新东西来 | 
| [40:42] | Who’s trying it? | 谁来负责? | 
| [40:43] | Either outside counsel or Eugene. | 外部律师或者Eugene | 
| [40:45] | I haven’t decided yet. | 我还没决定 | 
| [40:48] | Are we switching theories? | 我们要改变辩护理由吗? | 
| [40:49] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 | 
| [40:50] | We can’t go self-defense | 因为先前的证词的引入 | 
| [40:51] | since the prior testimony comes in. | 我们无法采用正当防卫的理由 | 
| [40:53] | What else is there? | 还有什么理由? | 
| [40:54] | It’s got to be straight insanity. There’s nothing else. | 只能直截了当地说是精神失常,没有别的理由了 | 
| [40:56] | What about the phone call | 那通她听起来相当平静的电话怎么解释呢? | 
| [40:57] | when she sounded so calm? | 那通她听起来相当平静的电话怎么解释呢? | 
| [40:58] | Post-traumatic shock. | 创伤后休克 | 
| [41:02] | Nobody’s saying it’s gonna be easy, | 没人说会这很容易解释 | 
| [41:03] | but insanity is all we got. | 但我们只能用精神失常做理由 | 
| [41:05] | We have to pore through the transcripts, | 我们必须要仔细研读记录 | 
| [41:07] | every word. | 细到每一个字 | 
| [41:08] | Somewhere there has to be something we can use. | 总有我们能用上的东西 | 
| [41:11] | We’ve got our new trial. | 我们得到了重审 | 
| [41:12] | Now we have to win it. | 现在我们必须要赢下来 | 
| [41:18] | Bobby, I know you don’t wanna hear this, | Bobby,我知道你想听 | 
| [41:19] | but we need to consider a plea. | 但我们需要考虑达成一个认罪交易 | 
| [41:21] | No! YOUNG: We won’t win this trial. | – 不行! – 我们赢不了的 | 
| [41:23] | With her prior testimony, | 依据她以前做出的证词 | 
| [41:24] | they have a stronger case. | 检方胜算很大 | 
| [41:25] | We’re not pleading, Eugene. | 我们不能做认罪交易,Eugene | 
| [41:26] | End of discussion. | 讨论到此结束 | 
| [41:29] | The assignment for everybody | 每个人的任务就是想出办法去赢 | 
| [41:30] | is to figure out a way to win. | 每个人的任务就是想出办法去赢 | 
| [41:35] | Straight not guilty. | 完全无罪 | 
| [42:11] | Sally? | |
| [42:14] | This is Joey. | 这是Joey | 
| [42:18] | Joey, | |
| [42:20] | Sally. |