| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:01] | DOLE: Previously on “The Practice”… | 前集回顾未作翻译 | 
| [00:02] | WALSH: I’ve reviewed your plea offer. | |
| [00:04] | It’s rejected. Why? | |
| [00:06] | WALSH: Because your wife committed | |
| [00:07] | first-degree murder. | |
| [00:09] | This just came through the fax. | |
| [00:11] | FRUTT: It is an internal memorandum, | |
| [00:13] | which says the victim was likely moving | |
| [00:16] | towards Lindsay Dole. | |
| [00:17] | It’s work product. It’s exculpatory. | |
| [00:19] | WALSH: It’s part of our internal investigation. | |
| [00:21] | It’s work product. | |
| [00:22] | You gave them that report. | |
| [00:24] | It was about giving defense a document | |
| [00:27] | they’re entitled to have. | |
| [00:28] | Why didn’t you at least have the integrity | |
| [00:31] | to be upfront about it? | |
| [00:32] | Before you add me to a list of people | |
| [00:34] | that are out to get you, | |
| [00:36] | when I started here, | |
| [00:38] | I wanted to be you. | |
| [00:40] | WEST: I find your misconduct | |
| [00:42] | to be deliberate, egregious, | |
| [00:44] | and outrageous. | |
| [00:46] | I am dismissing the indictment with prejudice. | |
| [00:49] | The defendant is to be released immediately. | |
| [00:52] | DOLE: Take me home. | |
| [01:06] | Am I wrong? | 我错了吗? | 
| [01:07] | Tell me if I’m wrong. You’re not wrong. | – 如果我错了就告诉我 – 你没错 | 
| [01:10] | I certainly don’t wanna force their hand, but– | 我当然不想强迫他们,但是。。。 | 
| [01:12] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 | 
| [01:17] | Sorry to keep you. | 抱歉让你们久等了 | 
| [01:23] | Listen. | |
| [01:25] | For many reasons we feel, | 由于很多原因,我们感觉 | 
| [01:26] | and we feel strongly, | 是非常强烈的感觉 | 
| [01:28] | we should plead guilty to manslaughter. | 我们应该认了过失杀人罪 | 
| [01:29] | What? | 什么? | 
| [01:32] | YOUNG: Roland, they have a strong case. | Roland,检方的立案依据很充分 | 
| [01:35] | Our defense, our entire defense, | 而我们的辩护,我们全部的辩护理由 | 
| [01:37] | is predicated on religious freedom, | 是基于宗教自由 | 
| [01:38] | which at this moment in time | 目前这已经变成我们不那么受珍视的公民自由之一了 | 
| [01:42] | has become one of our less precious civil liberties. | 目前这已经变成我们不那么受珍视的公民自由之一了 | 
| [01:46] | If you read the newspapers, you… | 如你你看看报纸,你。。。 | 
| [01:47] | We don’t. | 我们不看报纸 | 
| [01:48] | Well, if you would, | 呃,如果你愿意看看的话 | 
| [01:50] | you’d get a pretty good gauge | 你能很好地了解公众的反应 | 
| [01:51] | on the public’s reaction. | 你能很好地了解公众的反应 | 
| [01:52] | We don’t care with the public things. | 我们不关注公众怎么想 | 
| [01:54] | YOUNG: To the extent, it reflects the attitude | 在某种程度上,这反映出你的同侪的态度 | 
| [01:56] | of your peers. | 在某种程度上,这反映出你的同侪的态度 | 
| [01:58] | You need to care. | 你需要去关注 | 
| [01:59] | Twelve members of the public | 十二个市民会坐在陪审席 | 
| [02:01] | will be sitting in that jury box. | 十二个市民会坐在陪审席 | 
| [02:03] | The layperson is outraged | 一般人会对你没带你儿子去医院感到出离的愤怒 | 
| [02:04] | that you didn’t take your son to a hospital. | 一般人会对你没带你儿子去医院感到出离的愤怒 | 
| [02:06] | John Q. has no use for Christian Science | 除了用刊登你消息的报纸训练他的狗拉屎外 | 
| [02:09] | other than to train his dog with your newspaper. | John Q不需要什么基督教科学派的信仰 (这里的JohnQ应该是指同期上映的丹泽尔华盛顿的《迫在眉睫》 里面男主角叫John Q,为了救患重病的儿子铤而走险) | 
| [02:12] | Roland, you picked a bad time | Roland,你选择了一个不好的时机 | 
| [02:16] | to let somebody die in the name of a God. | 去让一个孩子以上帝名义死去 | 
| [02:23] | And it is our united view | 我们的共同观点是 | 
| [02:25] | that if we push this to trial, | 如果我们上庭审理 | 
| [02:27] | both of you could go to prison for life. | 你们俩可能会判终身监禁 | 
| [02:32] | DONNELL: You’re both decent people. | 你们两个都是正派的人 | 
| [02:33] | We don’t question you. | 我们并不怀疑你们 | 
| [02:35] | We know you did what you believed would save Peter. | 我们知道你们做了你们认为能救Peter的事 | 
| [02:38] | But you will lose at trial. | 但是你们上庭会输的 | 
| [02:44] | We need to take the deal. | 我们需要接受认罪交易 | 
| [02:53] | Okay. | 那好吧 | 
| [03:48] | The public’s not gonna be happy with a plea, | 公众不会对认罪满意的 | 
| [03:50] | I’ll tell you that. It’s “pound of flesh” time. | 我跟你说吧,公众的要求的是合法但不合理的 | 
| [03:53] | You think the public’s gonna be disappointed? | 你觉得公众会失望吗? | 
| [03:54] | Try Helen. She’s been biting the furniture | 试探一下Helen吧,她一直在为此做准备呢 | 
| [03:56] | getting ready for this one. | 试探一下Helen吧,她一直在为此做准备呢 | 
| [04:10] | I thought you weren’t coming back. | 我以为你不会回来。。。 | 
| [04:13] | So soon. | 这么快的 | 
| [04:20] | Jamie Stringer. | 我是Jamie Stringer | 
| [04:21] | I’m a big fan of yours. | 我是你的忠实粉丝 | 
| [04:23] | I’m so totally at your desk. Let me move. | 我把你的办公桌全占满了,容我搬开 | 
| [04:26] | Congratulations on being cleared. | 祝贺你洗脱罪名了 | 
| [04:28] | It was so overdue. | 这来得太晚了 | 
| [04:29] | Actually, I wasn’t cleared. | 其实,我没有洗脱罪名 | 
| [04:31] | I got out on a technicality, but thank you. | 我是因为一个技术性问题脱身的,但还是谢谢你 | 
| [04:34] | I am so totally at your desk. | 我把你的桌子都占了 | 
| [04:40] | What the– | 怎么。。。 | 
| [04:48] | Pat, are you all right? | Pat,你没事吧? | 
| [04:49] | If you want something, go around. | 想知道的话,就过来看看吧 | 
| [05:01] | First of all, what’s going on? | 首先,出什么事了? | 
| [05:03] | Are you leaving? | 你要搬走了吗? | 
| [05:04] | I’m done. | 我完蛋了 | 
| [05:05] | Retiring. | 退休了 | 
| [05:06] | You’re retiring? | 你要退休了? | 
| [05:08] | I can’t make the rent. | 我付不起房租了 | 
| [05:09] | I’m being evicted. | 我被赶走了 | 
| [05:11] | Did you throw this? | 是你扔的这个? | 
| [05:12] | That’s mine. | 那是我的 | 
| [05:14] | Yeah. It came through our window. | 是啊。从我们的窗户飞过来的 | 
| [05:16] | I must have overshot the box. | 我一定是往箱子里扔偏了 | 
| [05:17] | FRUTT: Overshot it? | 扔偏了? | 
| [05:19] | It sailed halfway into our office. | 都扔到我们办公室中间了 | 
| [05:21] | Sorry. | 抱歉 | 
| [05:29] | And the plea of manslaughter is acceptable | 检方接受这个过失杀人的认罪吗? | 
| [05:31] | to the Commonwealth? | 检方接受这个过失杀人的认罪吗? | 
| [05:33] | Yes, Your Honor, with a joint recommendation | 是的,法官大人,连带的提议是 | 
| [05:35] | for a six-year sentence starting immediately | 已经判决生效立即开始服刑 | 
| [05:37] | upon the entering of the verdicts. | 刑期六年 | 
| [05:39] | KITTLESON: Mr. and Mrs. Hubert, please rise. | Hubert先生,Hubert夫人,请起立 | 
| [05:44] | Mr. Hubert, do you understand | Hubert先生,你对非预谋故意杀人的指控同意认罪 | 
| [05:46] | that you are pleading guilty | Hubert先生,你对非预谋故意杀人的指控同意认罪 | 
| [05:47] | to the charge of voluntary manslaughter? | 你明白这一点吗? | 
| [05:50] | Yes, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人 | 
| [05:51] | And by doing so, | 籍此 | 
| [05:52] | you are acknowledging guilt | 你承认 | 
| [05:53] | and criminal responsibility | 对你儿子的死亡负有刑事责任吗? | 
| [05:55] | for the death of your son? | 对你儿子的死亡负有刑事责任吗? | 
| [06:02] | Mr. Hubert, I asked you a question. | Hubert先生,我问了你一个问题 | 
| [06:05] | Do you acknowledge your guilt and responsibility | 你承认对你儿子的死亡负有刑事责任吗? | 
| [06:09] | in the death of your son? | 你承认对你儿子的死亡负有刑事责任吗? | 
| [06:13] | God took my son, Your Honor. | 是上帝带走了我的儿子,法官大人 | 
| [06:15] | We did everything we could to save him. | 我们尽了一切努力去救他 | 
| [06:18] | KITTLESON: If that’s how you feel, | 如果你是这样想de | 
| [06:19] | why, sir, are you pleading guilty? | 先生,你为什么要认罪? | 
| [06:22] | Because counsel has advised us to. | 因为律师建议我们这样做 | 
| [06:24] | KITTLESON: Mrs. Hubert, do you also maintain your innocence? | Hubert夫人,你也坚持自己是无辜的吗? | 
| [06:28] | Yes, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人 | 
| [06:30] | The plea bargain is rejected. | 本控辩交易被驳回 | 
| [06:32] | Trial will begin tomorrow morning, 9:00 a. m. | 明天上午九点开庭审理 | 
| [06:34] | We’re adjourned. (gavel bangs) | 休庭 | 
| [06:36] | DONNELL: Chambers, Your Honor. | 法官大人,请求内廷商议 | 
| [06:37] | Do you dare? | 你竟敢? | 
| [06:38] | Chambers. | 请求内廷商议 | 
| [06:41] | Are you okay? | 你没事吧? | 
| [06:45] | I’m fine. | 还好 | 
| [06:49] | A client can choose to plead guilty | 一个当事人可以在坚称无罪的同时接受认罪交易 | 
| [06:51] | even while maintaining innocence. | 一个当事人可以在坚称无罪的同时接受认罪交易 | 
| [06:53] | Not with me, he can’t. DONNELL: Oh, come on. | – 在我这儿不行,他不能这样 – 噢,别这样 | 
| [06:54] | Ninety percent of all pleas are based on an analysis | 百分之九十的认罪交易是基于对胜算的分析 | 
| [06:57] | of winning percentages. | 百分之九十的认罪交易是基于对胜算的分析 | 
| [06:58] | They have nothing to do with actual merits. | 这些和实际的案情实质无关 | 
| [07:00] | I don’t accept guilty pleas | 我不会接受那些宣称自己无辜的人的认罪 | 
| [07:02] | from people claiming innocence. | 我不会接受那些宣称自己无辜的人的认罪 | 
| [07:04] | To do so would be a farce. | 这样做是一场闹剧 | 
| [07:05] | YOUNG: Our clients have a right to negotiate | 我们的当事人有权通过谈判 | 
| [07:07] | down from a murder-two conviction. | 得到一个比二级谋杀罪名为轻的罪名 | 
| [07:08] | Every defendant has that right. | 每个被告都有那样的权利 | 
| [07:10] | KITTLESON: Eugene, I realized | Eugene,我明白十个法官里有九个会认同的 | 
| [07:11] | that nine out of ten judges would go along, | Eugene,我明白十个法官里有九个会认同的 | 
| [07:14] | but I don’t. | 但我不 | 
| [07:15] | If somebody says they’re innocent, | 如果某人称他们是无辜的 | 
| [07:17] | I don’t let them come stand in my courtroom | 我不会让他们在我的法庭上 | 
| [07:20] | and declare guilt for the purpose | 为了改善对其的处置结果而认罪 | 
| [07:21] | of improving disposition. | 为了改善对其的处置结果而认罪 | 
| [07:23] | It’s a mockery. | 真是可笑 | 
| [07:26] | The trial starts tomorrow. | 明天开庭审理 | 
| [07:30] | Try to get over your disappointment, Helen. | Helen,克服一下你的失望情绪吧 | 
| [07:35] | Of course, you’re happy. | 当然,你很开心 | 
| [07:37] | Plea bargains suck. | 这个控辩交易很差劲 | 
| [07:38] | It’s like a tie game, nobody wins. | 就像打了个平手,谁都没赢 | 
| [07:41] | The Japanese, they don’t believe in compromise. | 日本人,他们不相信妥协 | 
| [07:43] | No such thing as win-win for the Japs. | 对日本人来说不存在双赢这个概念 | 
| [07:46] | There can be no victory | 除非对手失败 | 
| [07:47] | unless the other guy loses. | 否则就不算胜利 | 
| [07:50] | You know, that sounds racist. | 知道吗,这各词有点种族歧视 | 
| [07:52] | Oh, come on. Isn’t that some hypocrisy? | 噢,算了吧,有点假惺惺吧? | 
| [07:53] | It’s okay to call Jewish women J.A.Ps | 可以把一个犹太女人称作J.A.Ps | 
| [07:55] | but we can’t call Japs Japs? | 就不能把日本人称作Japs? | 
| [07:57] | Well, it’s not okay to refer | 得了吧,把犹太女人称为J.A.Ps并不妥 | 
| [07:59] | to Jewish women as J.A.Ps. | 得了吧,把犹太女人称为J.A.Ps并不妥 | 
| [08:01] | And I’m becoming increasingly concerned about you. | 我是变得越来越关心你了 | 
| [08:05] | Is that why you’re here? | 你来这儿就为这个吗? | 
| [08:06] | To tell me that you’re worried? | 告诉我你有些担心? | 
| [08:10] | Actually, no. | 其实,不是的 | 
| [08:15] | I’m worried about Mrs. Hubert’s unborn child. | 我担心的是Hubert夫人的胎儿 | 
| [08:18] | She had a contraction in the courtroom today. | 今天在法庭上,她出现了一次宫缩 | 
| [08:20] | She’s almost eight months. | 她差不多怀孕八个月了 | 
| [08:22] | Her first child was born a month early. | 她第一个孩子早产一个月 | 
| [08:24] | There were complications. | 有并发症 | 
| [08:26] | They didn’t go to the hospital. | 他们没有去医院 | 
| [08:28] | Little boy almost died of asphyxiation. | 小男婴差点窒息而死 | 
| [08:30] | You know this how? | 你怎么知道的? | 
| [08:32] | Well, I learned it during my investigation. | 呃,我是在调查期间了解到的 | 
| [08:34] | Is there a way we can protect this fetus? | 我们有办法保护这个胎儿吗? | 
| [08:37] | We have no jurisdiction over an unborn. | 我们对未出生的孩子可没有管辖权 | 
| [08:41] | What about social services? | 社会服务机构呢? | 
| [08:42] | WALSH: Uh, they don’t have it either. | 呃,他们也没有 | 
| [08:44] | It’s been tried. | 这有过案例的 | 
| [08:45] | You can thank your women’s rights groups for that. | 你为此要感谢你们的妇女权利组织 | 
| [08:47] | We’ve prosecuted women for killing their unborn fetuses, | 我们起诉过杀害未出生胎儿的妇女 | 
| [08:50] | so can’t we make the argument, | 所以我们能不能提出这样的论点 | 
| [08:51] | if a fetus is a person, | 如果一个胎儿是一个人 | 
| [08:53] | for the purpose of charging murder– | 出于本案是谋杀指控起见。。。 | 
| [08:54] | It won’t fly. | 这不管用 | 
| [08:56] | I need you to think of something. | 我需要你想点招儿 | 
| [08:58] | That baby could be in danger. | 这个胎儿可能有危险 | 
| [09:03] | Try a Section 12. | 用普通法第12节试试看 (精神病危害严重者的紧急约束与强制住院治疗) | 
| [09:06] | You put a hold on the mother on psychiatric grounds. | 你可以精神病为由强制这个母亲入院治疗 | 
| [09:09] | You put an end around the constitution. | 你就绕过了宪法 | 
| [09:12] | The courts are much more predisposed to say yes there, | 法庭更倾向于对此认可的 | 
| [09:15] | especially, if you have the right judge. | 尤其是如果你碰上了合适的法官 | 
| [09:20] | I’ll do it. | 我来做这个 | 
| [09:22] | What do you mean you’ll do it? | 你说你来做是什么意思? | 
| [09:23] | WALSH: I mean I’ll do it. | 我就是说由我来做 | 
| [09:24] | It’s a bit of a sell. | 这样是有点使诈 | 
| [09:25] | It’ll mean more if the Divisional Chief | 如果部门主管本人亲自出庭就更有意味了 | 
| [09:27] | himself appears in court. | 如果部门主管本人亲自出庭就更有意味了 | 
| [09:28] | I don’t think that’s a good idea. | 我觉得不妥 | 
| [09:30] | Why? | 为什么? | 
| [09:31] | Well, uh… | 呃。。。。 | 
| [09:32] | I think you might be leaping at the chance | 我觉得你可能是抓住机会 | 
| [09:34] | to take on this firm again. | 再跟这家事务所斗一次 | 
| [09:36] | After losing Lindsay Dole– | 在输掉Lindsay Dole那个案子后。。。 | 
| [09:38] | WALSH: Nonsense. | 胡扯 | 
| [09:40] | I’m driven by the merits of the case. | 我是出于案情本身 | 
| [09:41] | It’s time we start protecting the unborn children. | 我们是该要着手保护未出生的婴儿了 | 
| [09:44] | This is a person, eight months. | 这是一个人了,已经八个月了 | 
| [09:47] | It’s viable. It’s a life. | 这是可以存活下来的,是一条生命 | 
| [09:49] | And to say it doesn’t have any vested rights | 之所以说还未拥有任何既定权力 | 
| [09:52] | because it hasn’t been delivered, | 是因为还未分娩 | 
| [09:53] | all the while, the delivery itself | 一直以来,分娩本身就受到危害 | 
| [09:56] | is being jeopardized, it’s insane. | 这太荒唐了 | 
| [09:58] | This case is ripe. | 这个案子轻而易举 | 
| [10:00] | It’s important. | 这是有重要意义的 | 
| [10:01] | It needs to be made forcefully and publicly. | 这案子需要搞得轰轰烈烈地 | 
| [10:04] | I’ll do it. | 我要来做 | 
| [10:19] | This is not a stunt. | 这可不是一个花招 | 
| [10:21] | Come on, Helen. You take her into custody, | 得了吧,Helen,你把她拘押了 | 
| [10:22] | how does that not prejudice the jury? | 这怎么不会影响陪审团呢? | 
| [10:24] | The jury is sequestered, butt-nuts, | 陪审团是被隔离的,笨蛋 | 
| [10:26] | they won’t have to know. | 他们不会知道的 | 
| [10:27] | Mr. Walsh. | Walsh先生 | 
| [10:28] | Did he call me “butt-nuts”? | 他叫我“笨蛋”了吗? | 
| [10:29] | GAMBLE: Look, we have a viable baby | 听着,有一个可以存活的胎儿 | 
| [10:31] | in potential danger. | 处在潜在的危险之中 | 
| [10:32] | The law is clear. | 法律很明确 | 
| [10:34] | They cannot assert their religious rights. | 他们不能顽固地坚持其宗教权利 | 
| [10:36] | Where’s the danger? | 危险在哪儿? | 
| [10:37] | Premature delivery like her last child, | 像她上一个孩子一样早产 | 
| [10:39] | who almost died from having an umbilical cord– | 几乎死于脐带窒息。。。 | 
| [10:41] | That hardly gives you grounds. | 这理由可不够充分 | 
| [10:42] | These wackos won’t go to doctors. | 这些疯子不会去看医生的 | 
| [10:44] | KITTLESON: Mr. Walsh, that is quite enough. | Walsh先生,够了 | 
| [10:47] | GAMBLE: Your Honor, it makes the most sense | 法官大人,推迟审理 | 
| [10:49] | to simply delay the criminal trial | 直到她把孩子生下来 | 
| [10:51] | until after she gives birth. That way– | 是很有道理的,这样做。。。 | 
| [10:53] | DONNELL: It makes no sense to do that, | 这样做没道理 | 
| [10:54] | given there’s no basis | 因为没有理由拘押Wendy Hubert | 
| [10:55] | to take Wendy Hubert into custody. | 因为没有理由拘押Wendy Hubert | 
| [10:57] | Section 12, Chapter 123. | 法典第123章第12节 | 
| [10:59] | Read the law. | 读读法律条文吧 | 
| [11:00] | Or are you against that on principle? | 还是你从原则上反对? | 
| [11:01] | You’re gonna lecture me on rules? | 你要教我法律规则吗? | 
| [11:02] | KITTLESON: Both of you, shut up. | 你们俩都闭嘴 | 
| [11:04] | There will be no further delay of this trial. | 这次审判不会再拖延了 | 
| [11:07] | We start this morning. | 今天早上就开庭 | 
| [11:09] | Mr. Walsh, if you think you can make a Section 12 showing, | Walsh先生,如果你能就法典第12节做个陈述 | 
| [11:12] | you’re going to have to take it before another judge. | 你只能去找另一个法官了 | 
| [11:14] | I want the proceedings sealed. | 但我要求这个过程是封闭进行 | 
| [11:16] | If you get your order, come back to me, | 如果你得到了法庭指令,就回来找我 | 
| [11:18] | and I’ll figure out a way to impose it | 我会想出办法在不影响庭审的情况下照办的 | 
| [11:20] | without prejudicing the trial. | 我会想出办法在不影响庭审的情况下照办的 | 
| [11:22] | Do any public yapping, | 敢在媒体上叨叨的话 | 
| [11:24] | and I will declare a mistrial | 我就回宣布审判无效 | 
| [11:26] | and hold you in contempt. | 并以藐视法庭将你收押 | 
| [11:28] | It would be a mistake to regard that as judicial bluster. | 别误解成只是法官要吓唬你而已 | 
| [11:31] | This is ridiculous. | 真是太荒谬了 | 
| [11:32] | GAMBLE: Eugene, a child’s life is in danger. | Eugene,一个胎儿的性命堪忧 | 
| [11:34] | YOUNG: That child’s not in danger, Helen. | 那胎儿没有危险,Helen | 
| [11:36] | This has nothing to do with that child. | 这跟那胎儿没什么关系 | 
| [11:37] | GAMBLE: Oh, what are you a doctor now? | 噢,你现在是个医生了? | 
| [11:38] | KITTLESON: I’ve heard enough. | 我听够了 | 
| [11:40] | In to court. | 上庭吧 | 
| [11:41] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 | 
| [11:43] | All right. I’m on my way. | 那好,我这就去 | 
| [11:46] | Walsh is going to a separate court to get Wendy | Walsh要分庭审理 | 
| [11:48] | held on a Section 12. | 打算依据法典第12节将Wendy收押 | 
| [11:49] | WASHINGTON: What? How? | – 什么? – 怎么做呢? | 
| [11:50] | FRUTT: It’s a ploy to get her in custody | 这是一个为了将她在生下孩子之前实施拘押的手段 | 
| [11:51] | until the baby’s born. | 这是一个为了将她在生下孩子之前实施拘押的手段 | 
| [11:53] | Jamie, I need some research. You’re coming with me. | Jamie,我需要查一些资料,你和我一起去 | 
| [11:54] | Excellent. FRUTT: Bring your computer. | – 好的 – 带上你的电脑 | 
| [11:56] | Make sure it’s charged. We’ll get on Westlaw in the cab. | 确保充满电了,我们会在出租车上查Westlaw网 | 
| [11:57] | STRINGER: Right. | 好 | 
| [11:58] | FRUTT: Come on. | 走吧 | 
| [11:59] | Start with Section 12, Chapter 123, | 从第123章第12节开始 | 
| [12:01] | emergency restraint of dangerous persons. | 对危害严重者的紧急约束 | 
| [12:06] | Lindsay, what are you doing? | Lindsay,你在干什么? | 
| [12:09] | Just sitting. | 坐一坐 | 
| [12:10] | I got good at it in prison. | 我在监狱里坐习惯了 | 
| [12:13] | Is everything okay? | 没什么事吧? | 
| [12:15] | Fine. | 没事 | 
| [12:17] | I’m fine. | 我没事 | 
| [12:19] | Okay. | 那好 | 
| [12:22] | Come on. | 走吧 | 
| [12:25] | There’s a huge adjustment to being on the outside again. | 放出来后一定挺不适应的 | 
| [12:27] | She’s been in jail a month, Jaime. | Jaime,她坐了一个月的牢呀 | 
| [12:30] | STRINGER: I’m just saying. | 我只是说说 | 
| [12:31] | FRUTT: Get on the computer. | 开电脑吧 | 
| [12:33] | Right. | 好 | 
| [13:25] | DOCTOR: The official cause of death | 据官方公布的死因是 | 
| [13:27] | was adult respiratory distress syndrome, | 成人呼吸窘迫综合征 | 
| [13:29] | ARDS for short. | 简称ARDS | 
| [13:31] | Although this was a child, the diagnosis is the same. | 虽然这是个孩子,但诊断结果是一样的 | 
| [13:34] | It was brought on by the hantavirus. | 是hanta病毒引起的 | 
| [13:37] | Doctor, could you explain this hantavirus to the jury? | 医生,你能向陪审团解释一下hanta病毒吗? | 
| [13:41] | DOCTOR: Basically, it’s a virus found in rodents, | 总的来说,这是一种在啮齿动物身上发现的病毒 | 
| [13:43] | which when exposed to humans | 当传染到人时 | 
| [13:45] | can attack the lungs. | 会损害人的肺部 | 
| [13:46] | GAMBLE: How are humans exposed? | 是怎么传染到人的? | 
| [13:48] | DOCTOR: Most of the time through the saliva, urine, | 大多数情况是通过唾液和尿液 | 
| [13:51] | or feces of the rodent. | 或者啮齿动物的粪便 | 
| [13:52] | If Peter touched a dead mouse or a dead rat, | 如果Peter碰了死家鼠或死田鼠 | 
| [13:55] | that could have done it. | 就可能会传染上 | 
| [13:56] | Or he could have simply inhaled dust | 或者他可能就是吸入了 | 
| [13:58] | that contained dried rodent urine or feces. | 含有干燥的啮齿动物尿液或粪便的灰尘 | 
| [14:02] | We don’t know exactly how he was exposed. | 我们并不能确定是怎么传染上的 | 
| [14:04] | But you’re sure he was? | 但你确定他是被染上了? | 
| [14:06] | Absolutely. | 当然 | 
| [14:07] | The autopsy concluded that was the cause of death. | 尸检的结论是那是他的死因 | 
| [14:10] | GAMBLE: Doctor, would he have had any symptoms? | 医生,他会有什么症状吗? | 
| [14:13] | DOCTOR: Acute. | 急性症状 | 
| [14:15] | They would have started flu-like, | 开始会像流感一样 | 
| [14:16] | uh, fever, coughing, headaches. | 呃,发烧,咳嗽,头痛 | 
| [14:18] | Then progressively gotten worse, | 然后逐渐恶化 | 
| [14:20] | muscle aches, breathing problems, | 肌肉疼痛,呼吸困难 | 
| [14:23] | lungs filling with fluid. | 肺部充液 | 
| [14:25] | This boy was in a lot of distress | 这个男孩精神上很受折磨 | 
| [14:27] | and died a very painful death. | 而且极其痛苦地死去 | 
| [14:29] | Objection. Speculation. | 反对,纯属猜测 | 
| [14:30] | Sustained. | 反对有效 | 
| [14:31] | GAMBLE: Doctor, is there medical treatment | 医生,有没有能救活Peter的治疗措施呢? | 
| [14:34] | that could have saved Peter? | 医生,有没有能救活Peter的治疗措施呢? | 
| [14:36] | DOCTOR: Oxygen therapy, antiviral drugs, fluids. | 氧气疗法,抗病毒药物,输液 | 
| [14:39] | If he’d been taken to a doctor immediately, | 如果他马上被带去看病 | 
| [14:41] | he wouldn’t be dead– | 他不会死的。。。 | 
| [14:42] | Objection. | 反对 | 
| [14:43] | DOCTOR: –in my opinion. | 这是我的观点 | 
| [14:45] | I’ll allow it. | 我对此准许 | 
| [14:46] | Thank you. That’s all. | 谢谢你,我问完了 | 
| [14:53] | So medical care could have saved | 那么说医疗措施可以拯救这孩子的生命? | 
| [14:55] | this boy’s life? | 那么说医疗措施可以拯救这孩子的生命? | 
| [14:57] | You can state that to a medical certainty? | 你能从医学角度确定这一点吗? | 
| [14:59] | Probability. | 很可能 | 
| [15:00] | DONNELL: Probability. | 很可能 | 
| [15:01] | How probable, Doctor? | 有多大可能,医生? | 
| [15:03] | I can state it to a substantial likelihood. | 我可以说可能性非常大 | 
| [15:05] | DONNELL: Really? You must be quite a doctor. | 真的?你一定是个好医生 | 
| [15:07] | Do you mean if Peter Hubert had come to you personally– | 你是说如果Peter Hubert来找你的话。。。 | 
| [15:09] | This is badgering. | 这是纠缠证人 | 
| [15:10] | I apologize. | 抱歉 | 
| [15:12] | How many diagnosed cases have there been | 在过去的十年里,医生, | 
| [15:14] | of the hantavirus in the last 10 years, Doctor? | hanta病毒感染病例的确诊数量是多少? | 
| [15:17] | Since 1993, we’ve had 326 diagnosed. | 自1993年来,我们诊断出326例 | 
| [15:22] | Of those cases, how many have died? | 这些病例里,死亡的有多少起? | 
| [15:24] | One hundred twenty-two. | 一百二十二起 | 
| [15:26] | DONNELL: One hundred and twenty-two. | 一百二十二起 | 
| [15:27] | Of those 122 cases, | 在这一百二十二起里 | 
| [15:30] | how many have sought medical help? | 有多少是接受治疗的? | 
| [15:32] | Most. DONNELL: Most. | – 很多吧 – 很多 | 
| [15:33] | And yet 122 people have died. | 但还是有122人死了 | 
| [15:36] | Doctor, isn’t it possible Peter Hubert | 医生,即使Peter Hubert | 
| [15:38] | also might have died, | 接受了治疗 | 
| [15:40] | even if he had gotten medical attention? | 有没有可能他也会死? | 
| [15:42] | Possible, but with early– | 有可能,但是如果早一点。。。 | 
| [15:43] | DONNELL: Thank you, doctor. | 谢谢你,医生 | 
| [15:45] | You answered my question. | 你已经回答我的问题了 | 
| [15:51] | WALSH: There is ample authority for the Commonwealth | 当局拥有充分的权限去 | 
| [15:53] | to hold a pregnant mother. | 拘押一名怀孕的母亲 | 
| [15:54] | SWACKHEIM: I didn’t ask you for authority. | 我没有问你权限的问题 | 
| [15:56] | I said tell me why she’s a nutcase. | 我要你告诉我为什么她是个疯子 | 
| [15:58] | I would submit, Your Honor, | 法官大人,我认为 | 
| [15:59] | any woman who exposes her child to danger, | 任何一个让她的孩子面临潜在致命危险的女人 | 
| [16:02] | potentially fatal danger, | 任何一个让她的孩子面临潜在致命危险的女人 | 
| [16:04] | the benign assessment would be nutcase. | 好一些的评价也是个疯子 | 
| [16:06] | No. He’s saying there is a presumption | 不对,他提出的是一个 | 
| [16:07] | of psychiatric infirmity for any Christian Scientist. | 把所有基督教科学派都认为是精神病的推定 | 
| [16:10] | I am not saying that. You most certainly are. | - 我说的不是这个 - 你当然是在说这个 | 
| [16:12] | Don’t be putting statements into my mouth. | 别瞎解释我的意思 | 
| [16:14] | I certainly am capable of spewing my own nonsense. | 我自己能解释清楚 | 
| [16:17] | Your Honor, this woman is currently on trial for murder. | 法官大人,这名妇女目前正因谋杀罪受审 | 
| [16:21] | I don’t think it’s presumptive of me to have doubts. | 我毫不怀疑地假定她是有罪的 | 
| [16:23] | SWACKHEIM: Yes, it is, counsel. | 对,没错,律师 | 
| [16:24] | She hasn’t been convicted. | 但她还没有被判有罪 | 
| [16:26] | The presumption, then, is one of innocence. | 应该是假定无罪 | 
| [16:28] | Remember that one? | 这都不记得了? | 
| [16:30] | WALSH: That would be her constitutional right. | 那是她的宪法权利 | 
| [16:32] | I am before you today on the rights of the child. | 我今天在你面前谈的是儿童权利问题 | 
| [16:35] | There is no burden on the court | 在权衡一个孩子的最大利益时 | 
| [16:37] | when weighing the best interest of the child | 法庭没有义务去保障一个母亲的宪法权利 | 
| [16:39] | to constitutionally safeguard the mother. | 法庭没有义务去保障一个母亲的宪法权利 | 
| [16:42] | Are we supposed to let this baby die, and then say, | 我们难道应该让这孩子死,然后说 | 
| [16:44] | “Hey, but at least we didn’t trample the civil liberties | 嘿,至少我们我们没有践踏这位亲爱的妈妈的公民自由权吗? | 
| [16:48] | of mommy dearest”? | 嘿,至少我们我们没有践踏这位亲爱的妈妈的公民自由权吗? | 
| [16:49] | That’s crap, and I’ll say so. | 这太糟了,我就是这么看的 | 
| [16:51] | Nobody is saying “Forget about the child.” | 没人说“别管那孩子” | 
| [16:54] | We are just asking, how is it in danger? | 我们只是要问,有什么危险? | 
| [16:57] | WALSH: By being in the womb of a woman | 在得不到医疗救助的妇女子宫里就有危险 | 
| [16:59] | who won’t get medical help. | 在得不到医疗救助的妇女子宫里就有危险 | 
| [17:01] | Her last delivery almost resulted in death. | 她上一次分娩几乎导致死亡 | 
| [17:04] | He survived only to die three years later | 那孩子虽然活了下来 | 
| [17:07] | from the fumes of a dead rat, | 但三年后因为死老鼠传染的病毒而死去 | 
| [17:09] | which this mother didn’t do a damn thing about. | 这个母亲对此不管不顾 | 
| [17:12] | She has a history of complications at birth. | 她有生育并发症的病史 | 
| [17:16] | She’s having contractions. | 她有宫缩症 | 
| [17:17] | She has a history of doing nothing | 她有当她的孩子面临生命危险时置若罔闻的劣迹 | 
| [17:19] | when her kids are facing life-threatening dangers. | 她有当她的孩子面临生命危险时置若罔闻的劣迹 | 
| [17:35] | You guys, could you come with me a second? | 你们大伙儿能跟我来一下吗? | 
| [17:48] | Lindsay, what’s going on? | Lindsay,出什么事了? | 
| [17:51] | Oh, I just got this table out of storage. | 噢,我刚把这张桌子从储藏室拿出来 | 
| [17:53] | I just thought I’d sit here while I get used to being back. | 我只是想在我适应回来工作期间坐在这里 | 
| [17:56] | I’m kind of enjoying the quiet. | 我有点喜欢安静 | 
| [18:06] | He looked terrible. | 他看起来糟透了 | 
| [18:07] | He would get dizzy. | 他会头晕 | 
| [18:09] | He would vomit. | 呕吐 | 
| [18:10] | He had excruciating headaches. | 他头痛得很厉害 | 
| [18:12] | GAMBLE: How often did you have occasion | 你多长时间能有一次机会去看Peter Hubert? | 
| [18:14] | to see Peter Hubert? | 你多长时间能有一次机会去看Peter Hubert? | 
| [18:16] | LISA: At first I saw him a lot. | 最初经常去看他 | 
| [18:17] | I was an invited guest. | 我是被邀请去的 | 
| [18:19] | Wendy and I were good friends. | Wendy和我是好朋友 | 
| [18:20] | You’re next door neighbors? | 你们是住在隔壁的邻居? | 
| [18:21] | LISA: Yes. | 是的 | 
| [18:23] | But the more I implored her to take the child | 但我越是恳求她带孩子去医院 | 
| [18:25] | to the hospital, | 但我越是恳求她带孩子去医院 | 
| [18:26] | the more estranged we became, | 我们的关系就越疏远了 | 
| [18:27] | to the point where I wasn’t invited. | 以致于到了不再邀请我去她家的程度 | 
| [18:30] | GAMBLE: At what point during his illness | 这种疏远是发生在孩子病情发展的哪个阶段呢? | 
| [18:32] | did this estrangement take place? | 这种疏远是发生在孩子病情发展的哪个阶段呢? | 
| [18:34] | LISA: It was building. | 那是逐渐发生的 | 
| [18:35] | But when I called the ambulance myself, | 但当我叫了救护车后 | 
| [18:38] | that was pretty much it. | 差不多就是这样 | 
| [18:39] | I wasn’t invited into the house anymore. | 再也没邀请我去她家了 | 
| [18:41] | You called an ambulance? | 你叫过救护车? | 
| [18:43] | LISA: Yes. | 是的 | 
| [18:43] | I couldn’t take it. | 我受不了 | 
| [18:45] | He looked like he was going to die. | 他看上去就快死了 | 
| [18:47] | Did an ambulance come? | 救护车来了吗? | 
| [18:49] | LISA: Yes. | 来了 | 
| [18:50] | And they sent him away saying that | 他们说是虚惊一场 | 
| [18:52] | it was a false alarm. | 就把救护车打发走了 | 
| [18:54] | About two weeks after that, | 在那之后两个星期 | 
| [18:56] | Peter did die. | Peter就死了 | 
| [18:59] | During the course of Peter’s illness, | 在Peter生病期间 | 
| [19:01] | did you witness his parents | 你看到他父母做了些什么吗? | 
| [19:02] | doing anything about it? | 你看到他父母做了些什么吗? | 
| [19:03] | They would pray. | 他们祈祷 | 
| [19:05] | Lots and lots of praying. | 很多次地祈祷 | 
| [19:07] | YOUNG: Just the two of them? | 就他们两个吗? | 
| [19:08] | LISA: No. Sometimes people would come over, | 不,有时候人们会过来 | 
| [19:09] | group prayings. | 集体祈祷 | 
| [19:10] | YOUNG: And during the illness, | 在Peter生病期间 | 
| [19:12] | did it ever appear Peter’s condition was improving? | 他的病情有没有好转过? | 
| [19:15] | LISA: A couple of times the symptoms | 有几次症状似乎是减轻了 | 
| [19:17] | seemed to subside, | 有几次症状似乎是减轻了 | 
| [19:18] | but then they would return. | 但随后又反复了 | 
| [19:20] | YOUNG: So they prayed and things, | 所以他们进行了祈祷 | 
| [19:21] | at least temporarily, got better. | 至少暂时有所好转 | 
| [19:23] | Did that happened, what, once or twice? | 这情况发生了一次还是两次? | 
| [19:25] | Well, I don’t think they really did get better. | 呃,我不认为那是真有所好转 | 
| [19:27] | YOUNG: It just seemed so? | 只是看起来有好转? | 
| [19:29] | Yes. | 对 | 
| [19:30] | You were good friends with Wendy Hubert? | 你是Wendy Hubert的好朋友? | 
| [19:32] | LISA: Yes. | 对 | 
| [19:33] | YOUNG: Was she a loving mother? | 她是个慈爱的母亲吗? | 
| [19:35] | I thought so, yes. | 对,我想是的 | 
| [19:36] | YOUNG: At any time, did you ever question | 你可曾有任何时候质疑过她对Peter的爱吗? | 
| [19:38] | her love for Peter? | 你可曾有任何时候质疑过她对Peter的爱吗? | 
| [19:39] | No. | 没有 | 
| [19:41] | YOUNG: Did you ever have occassion | 你可曾有理由质疑过Roland对他儿子的爱吗? | 
| [19:42] | to question Roland’s love for his son? | 你可曾有理由质疑过Roland对他儿子的爱吗? | 
| [19:43] | LISA: No. | 没有 | 
| [19:44] | As you observed them praying | 当你看到他们为他们孩子的康复 | 
| [19:46] | and praying and praying | 当你看到他们为他们孩子的康复 | 
| [19:47] | for their son’s recovery, | 不断地祈祷时 | 
| [19:49] | you regarded these prayers as heartfelt? | 你认为这些祈祷是发自内心的吗? | 
| [19:52] | Of course. | 当然是 | 
| [19:53] | YOUNG: After Peter’s passing, | Peter死了之后 | 
| [19:54] | did you ever have occasion to meet with the Huberts? | 你可曾有机会和Hubert夫妇见面吗? | 
| [19:56] | LISA: Yes. I went to them with my sympathy. | 有的,我去向他们致以同情 | 
| [19:59] | So you had an opportunity to observe their reaction | 那么说你有机会观察到他们对Peter的死的反应? | 
| [20:01] | to Peter’s death? | 那么说你有机会观察到他们对Peter的死的反应? | 
| [20:03] | I saw them after, like I said. | 就像我说的,我后来看到他们了 | 
| [20:05] | YOUNG: How would you describe their reaction | 你如何描述他们对Peter的死的反应? | 
| [20:07] | to Peter’s death? | 你如何描述他们对Peter的死的反应? | 
| [20:08] | They were devastated. | 他们悲痛欲绝 | 
| [20:10] | What parent wouldn’t be? | 哪个家长不会这样呢? | 
| [20:14] | YOUNG: Thank you, Ms. Astin. | 谢谢你,Astin女士 | 
| [20:30] | WALSH: I’ve never seen Swackheim deliberate this long | 我从来没见过Swackheim为做一个裁决花这么长的时间 | 
| [20:32] | over a decision. | 我从来没见过Swackheim为做一个裁决花这么长的时间 | 
| [20:34] | Truth is… | 其实。。。 | 
| [20:35] | I never figured he gave any thought at all | 我从来不认为他做的裁决是经过了大脑的 | 
| [20:37] | to his rulings. | 我从来不认为他做的裁决是经过了大脑的 | 
| [20:39] | I thought he just flipped a coin, the lazy hack. | 我觉得他就是扔硬币来决定,真是个懒货 | 
| [20:45] | Why did you come after me with all the personal attacks | Ellenor,在Dole的案子上 | 
| [20:47] | in the Dole case, Ellenor? | 你为什么对我进行人身攻击? | 
| [20:50] | I wanna know. | 我想知道 | 
| [20:51] | Part of it was strategy. | 一部分是辩护策略 | 
| [20:54] | Part of it was your antics truly offended me. | 一部分是你的荒唐行为真惹恼了我 | 
| [20:57] | Don’t you regard your behavior toward me | 你不觉得你对我的行为有点恶毒吗? | 
| [20:59] | as slightly vicious? | 你不觉得你对我的行为有点恶毒吗? | 
| [21:02] | Maybe. | 或许吧 | 
| [21:05] | I went to see a shrink. | 我去看了心理医生 | 
| [21:06] | You know what he told me? | 你知道他跟我说了什么吗? | 
| [21:07] | I could be sexually frustrated. | 我可能是性挫败 | 
| [21:10] | Why is it shrinks are all Freudian, | 为什么心理医生都是些弗洛伊德学家 | 
| [21:13] | sex-obsessed, depraved perverts? | 性痴迷,性变态的家伙呢? | 
| [21:16] | They think everything is sex. | 脑子里全是性 | 
| [21:21] | How often you get laid? | 你多久上一次床? | 
| [21:22] | Big-boned girl, can’t be too often. | 大块头的女孩,不能太频繁了 | 
| [21:25] | You, on the other hand, | 还有你 | 
| [21:27] | you probably rent rooms by the hour. | 你可能开钟点房 | 
| [21:28] | Little tramps coming out of law school these days. | 这些天从法学院出来的小流浪汉们 | 
| [21:31] | Look at you. | 看看你 | 
| [21:32] | Cherubic little sperm magnet. | 天真无邪的小妖精 | 
| [21:35] | Did you just call me cherubic? | 你刚才是说我天真无邪吗? | 
| [21:37] | Jamie… | |
| [21:40] | ROLAND: He had a fever, but he’d had fevers in the past. | 他是发烧了,但他以前也发过烧 | 
| [21:44] | Our course of treatment had always been prayer, | 我们的治疗方法一直就是用祈祷 | 
| [21:46] | cold compacts. | 和冷敷 | 
| [21:48] | These treatments had proved to be successful in the past. | 以前这种方法被证明是成功的 | 
| [21:51] | When you say many– | 当你说很多。。。 | 
| [21:53] | Five, six over his three years. | 三年里有五六次 | 
| [21:55] | He also had strep before, | 他以前也得过链球菌感染 | 
| [21:57] | conjunctivitis, many illnesses | 结膜炎,许多疾病 | 
| [21:59] | which we treated successfully with prayer. | 那些我们通过祈祷都治好了 | 
| [22:02] | We thought we would be successful here. | 我们以为这次也行 | 
| [22:04] | DONNELL: But, Mr. Hubert, when Peter started | 但Hubert先生,当Peter开始呼吸困难的时候。。。 | 
| [22:06] | having trouble breathing… | 但Hubert先生,当Peter开始呼吸困难的时候。。。 | 
| [22:07] | We responded with more intensive treatment. | 我们的应对是加强治疗 | 
| [22:09] | Which was? | 那是指? | 
| [22:10] | Prayer. | 祈祷 | 
| [22:11] | This is our faith, Mr. Donnell. | 这是我们的信仰,Donnell先生 | 
| [22:13] | DONNELL: I understand. But, Mr. Hubert, | 我理解,但是,Hubert先生 | 
| [22:14] | a lot of people are wondering | 很多人都想知道 | 
| [22:16] | how a father could just let his son die. | 一个父亲怎么会听任他的孩子死去 | 
| [22:18] | I didn’t just let him die. | 我没有听任他死去 | 
| [22:21] | My wife and I did everything we could to help him heal. | 我太太和我尽了一切努力帮助他康复 | 
| [22:23] | We did what we believed would help him get better. | 我们做了我们认为能帮助他好转的事 | 
| [22:26] | We did not sit idly. | 我们没有坐视不理 | 
| [22:27] | We did not let my son die. | 我们没有让我的儿子死去 | 
| [22:29] | Why not pray in the waiting room | 为什么不在医生给你儿子看病的同时, | 
| [22:31] | while a doctor treated your son? | 在候诊室祈祷呢? | 
| [22:33] | Because taking him for medical treatment would not, | 因为在我们看来,带他去看病是不会让他康复的 | 
| [22:35] | in our view, heal him, | 因为在我们看来,带他去看病是不会治愈他的 | 
| [22:36] | and we wanted him to recover. | 而我们希望他康复 | 
| [22:38] | I’m asking hard questions, sir, | 我是在问你一个很难回答的问题,先生 | 
| [22:39] | because this jury would like to know | 因为陪审团想要知道 | 
| [22:41] | how any loving father could just turn his back | 一个慈爱的父亲怎么能 | 
| [22:43] | on medical assistance | 拒绝已经被证明是有效的医疗救助呢 | 
| [22:45] | which has been proven to work. | 拒绝已经被证明是有效的医疗救助呢 | 
| [22:50] | ROLAND: Every one of us draws the line somewhere. | 我们中的每个人都定下某种界限 | 
| [22:53] | Most people think artificial life-saving devices go too far, | 大多数人认为人工的医疗救生设备太过分了 | 
| [22:57] | and they execute living wills to prohibit them. | 他们会遵从病人的生前愿望拒绝使用 | 
| [23:00] | Sixty years ago, | 六年前 | 
| [23:01] | people considered transplanting organs | 人们认为移植器官 | 
| [23:03] | to be ungodly and perverse. | 是亵渎神灵和执拗的行为 | 
| [23:05] | Now the line has moved. | 现在这个界限移动了 | 
| [23:08] | People are okay with it today. | 人们认为这样是可以接受的 | 
| [23:09] | Today, stem cell research | 而今,干细胞研究 | 
| [23:11] | is considered horrific, | 被认为是可怕的 | 
| [23:14] | totally against God and humanity. | 完全是违背上帝和人性 | 
| [23:16] | But as the arguments are made how it can save lives, | 但是当争论的焦点是如何拯救生命的时候 | 
| [23:19] | well, the line of acceptability is about to move again. | 好吧,界限可接受的界限又将再次移动 | 
| [23:22] | Likelihood is people will eventually embrace | 可能人们最终会接受 | 
| [23:25] | some form of human cloning, | 某种形式的克隆人 | 
| [23:27] | because as long as there is a life to be saved, | 因为只要有生命可以拯救 | 
| [23:30] | how can you say no to it? | 你怎么能拒绝呢? | 
| [23:31] | Well, Christian Scientists | 但是,基督教科学信仰派 | 
| [23:33] | are simply unwilling to move the line. | 只是不想移动这条界限 | 
| [23:35] | Unwilling to adjust our faith to keep up with the times. | 不想调整我们的信仰来跟上时代的步伐 | 
| [23:38] | Uh, there will always be new medicines, new technologies, | 呃,总会有新药,新技术 | 
| [23:41] | new devices, and inventions. | 新设备和发明创造 | 
| [23:44] | That doesn’t change the fact | 但这不能改变 | 
| [23:45] | that we consider this world to be a spiritual one. | 我们认为这个世界是一个精神世界的事实 | 
| [23:48] | And that both sin and illness | 罪恶和疾病 | 
| [23:50] | can only be overcome | 只能靠精神力量来解决 | 
| [23:51] | by spiritual power. | 只能靠精神力量来解决 | 
| [23:53] | And since I believed divine healing | 既然我相信精神治疗 | 
| [23:56] | to be my son’s best chance at survival, | 是让我的儿子活下来的最好方法 | 
| [23:58] | I felt the most reasonable thing | 我觉得我能做的最合理的事 | 
| [24:00] | that I could do was turn to it. | 就是求助于精神治疗 | 
| [24:08] | So while many of us draw the line | 所以当我们中的很多人 | 
| [24:10] | at stem cell research and cloning, | 对于干细胞研究和克隆方面定下界限时 | 
| [24:13] | you draw it at 106 temperature. | 你把这个界限定在高烧41度上 | 
| [24:18] | Mr. Hubert, did you go to an ophthalmologist | Hubert先生,你去找眼科医生配过眼镜吗? | 
| [24:21] | to get your glasses? | Hubert先生,你去找眼科医生配过眼镜吗? | 
| [24:22] | We don’t consider that medicine. | 我们认为那不算医疗 | 
| [24:24] | According to my records, | 根据你的档案记录 | 
| [24:25] | you also visited a dentist last summer. | 去年夏天你也看过牙医 | 
| [24:28] | Again, we consider that aid, not medicine. | 我再说一遍,我们认为那是一种帮助,而不是医疗 | 
| [24:30] | GAMBLE: In fact, you went during your son’s illness. | 实际上,你是在你儿子生病期间去的 | 
| [24:33] | My faith allows for aid from a dentist. | 我的信仰允许我们获得牙医的帮助 | 
| [24:36] | It doesn’t medical treatment. | 那不是医疗 | 
| [24:37] | I explained that, | 我对此解释过了 | 
| [24:38] | and I object to the ridicule. | 而且我反对这种嘲笑 | 
| [24:42] | Do you think I came here today to ridicule you? | 你认为我今天来这里是为了嘲笑你吗? | 
| [24:45] | You think there’s a judge up there, | 你以为庭上有个法官 | 
| [24:46] | a jury over here, | 有一个陪审团 | 
| [24:48] | all gathered to ridicule you, sir? | 大家凑到一起是为了嘲笑你吗,先生? | 
| [24:51] | This is a murder trial, Mr. Hubert. | 这是一个谋杀案的庭审,Hubert先生 | 
| [24:53] | A boy is dead. My boy. | – 一个男孩死了 – 是我的孩子 | 
| [24:55] | You say that as if you were his parent. | 你这样说就好像你是他的家长一样 | 
| [24:57] | ROLAND: I was his parent. GAMBLE: And you think | – 我就是他的家长 – 而你认为 | 
| [24:58] | it’s prejudice to hold parenting | 为人父母要达到合理的标准是一种成见吗? | 
| [25:00] | up to the standards of reasonableness? | 为人父母要达到合理的标准是一种成见吗? | 
| [25:03] | Because that’s what this is about, Mr. Hubert. | 因为这就是问题所在,Hubert先生 | 
| [25:05] | I don’t care what God you believe in. | 我不关心你信仰什么上帝 | 
| [25:07] | You were vested with the care | 你被赋予了照料一个病重的三岁儿童的职责 | 
| [25:09] | of a very sick three-year-old little boy, | 你被赋予了照料一个病重的三岁儿童的职责 | 
| [25:11] | and you let him die. | 而你让他死了 | 
| [25:12] | I did not. DONNELL: Objection. | – 我没有 – 反对 | 
| [25:13] | GAMBLE: Yes, you did. Objection. | – 是的,是你造成的 – 反对 | 
| [25:15] | GAMBLE: Withdrawn. Who gave you the right | 我撤回这句,谁给了你 | 
| [25:18] | to exalt religion here at the expense– | 以牺牲你孩子的代价来崇拜宗教的权利。。。 | 
| [25:21] | You’d find that in the constitution, counsel. | 律师,你可以在宪法里找到答案 | 
| [25:22] | And does one have to read the constitution | 为了得到宪法的保护 | 
| [25:24] | in order to be protected by it? | 就必须去读宪法吧? | 
| [25:26] | What about the three-year-olds | 那个三岁的孩子呢? | 
| [25:27] | who cannot sound out the words yet? | 他还念不出那些词呢 | 
| [25:29] | Did Peter have any rights, Mr. Hubert? | Peter有什么权利吗,Hubert先生? | 
| [25:31] | Peter understood the basic principles of our faith. | Peter懂得我们信仰的基本原则 | 
| [25:34] | GAMBLE: Is it your testimony | 你是在作证说 | 
| [25:36] | that your son made an informed, | 当你的儿子在痛苦中躺着等死时 | 
| [25:38] | competent decision | 当你的儿子在痛苦中躺着等死时 | 
| [25:40] | not to go to the hospital | 他有能力做出一个不去医院看病的明智决定吗? | 
| [25:42] | as he lay dying in agony? | 他有能力做出一个不去医院看病的明智决定吗? | 
| [25:44] | Obviously, I made the choice. | 当然是我做的选择 | 
| [25:46] | GAMBLE: Yes, you made it. | 对,是你做的 | 
| [25:47] | And what part of the constitution would you– | 你认为宪法中的哪一部分。。。 | 
| [25:48] | I was his guardian. | 我是监护人 | 
| [25:50] | GAMBLE: Yes, you were his guardian, Mr. Hubert. | 对,你是监护人,Hubert先生 | 
| [25:53] | For God’s sake, you were his guardian, | 看在上帝的份上,你是他的监护人 | 
| [25:55] | and you simply let him die. | 你就那么让他死了 | 
| [25:57] | I did not. | 我没有 | 
| [26:00] | Oh, right. | 噢,对了 | 
| [26:02] | You prayed. | 你祈祷了 | 
| [26:05] | Here’s a flash, Mr. Hubert. | 真是突发奇想,Hubert先生 | 
| [26:08] | We all pray. | 祈祷谁不会呀 | 
| [26:26] | I haven’t seen any evidence | 除了Walsh先生假定Hubert夫人 | 
| [26:29] | that Mrs. Hubert is a dangerous person, | 会因那个她还未定罪的指控被判有罪外 | 
| [26:31] | other than Mr. Walsh’s assumption | 我没有看到任何证据显示她是个具有危险的人 | 
| [26:33] | that she’s guilty of the charges | 我没有看到任何证据显示她是个具有危险的人 | 
| [26:35] | for which she hasn’t yet been convicted. | 我没有看到任何证据显示她是个具有危险的人 | 
| [26:37] | The Commonwealth’s petition… | 检方的申请。。。 | 
| [26:39] | is denied. | 被否决 | 
| [26:41] | Just like that? | 就这样? | 
| [26:43] | Uh, what do you want, a preamble? | 呃,那你指望要什么,要我先说个开场白吗? | 
| [26:46] | Could I be heard, Your Honor? | 我可以发言吗,法官大人? | 
| [26:50] | Every day on my job, | 在我每天的工作中 | 
| [26:54] | I battle civil rights activists | 我和那些民权活动家们进行斗争 | 
| [26:56] | who bemoan the erosion of the Fourth Amendment, | 他们哀叹宪法第四修正案受到了侵蚀 | 
| [26:59] | who fight for the murderer’s right to counsel. | 他们为谋杀犯的辩护权而战 | 
| [27:02] | You know who I’m talking about. | 你知道我说的是谁 | 
| [27:04] | All those Liberal pufferfish | 所有那些反对死刑的自由主义河豚们, | 
| [27:06] | who are protesting the death penalty | 所有那些反对死刑的自由主义河豚们 | 
| [27:08] | while they cling to a woman’s right | 同时却坚持妇女堕胎的权利 | 
| [27:10] | to have an abortion | 就像堕胎是不可剥夺的美国权利一样 | 
| [27:11] | like it’s an inalienable American right, | 就像堕胎是不可剥夺的美国权利一样 | 
| [27:13] | and I’m sick of it. | 我受够了 | 
| [27:14] | Who the hell is sticking up for this unborn person? | 到底是谁在捍卫这个未出生的孩子呢? | 
| [27:18] | He’s eight months old. | 他在母体里已经八个月了 | 
| [27:19] | He’s viable. | 他是可以存活的 | 
| [27:20] | And yet we say he doesn’t exist | 但我们说他还无法作为一个实体受到保护 | 
| [27:23] | for the purpose of being protected | 但我们说他还无法作为一个实体受到保护 | 
| [27:25] | because he hasn’t passed through | 就是因为他还没有从 | 
| [27:27] | the great vaginal gateway | 那个就像是荷兰隧道的阴道口出来 | 
| [27:28] | like it’s the Holland Tunnel. | 那个就像是荷兰隧道的阴道口出来 | 
| [27:31] | Where in God’s name | 看在上帝的份上 | 
| [27:32] | are all the pro-lifers today | 所有那些反堕胎者 | 
| [27:34] | sticking up for this little life? | 今天都在哪儿捍卫这弱小的生命呢? | 
| [27:37] | Why is this room empty, I ask? | 我要问,为什么这里空空荡荡地? | 
| [27:39] | Because the proceeding is sealed. | 因为本次诉讼程序是封闭的 | 
| [27:41] | Anything else? | 还有别的要问吗? | 
| [27:42] | We fight for the rights of the accused, | 我们为被告权利 | 
| [27:44] | the right to abort, | 为流产的权利 | 
| [27:45] | the right to exercise religion and free speech, | 为行使宗教和言论自由的权利而战 | 
| [27:48] | but we don’t fight for human life? | 但是我们不为人的生命而战吗? | 
| [27:52] | We’re like little bugs, | 我们就像是小虫子、蚂蚁、蟑螂呀 | 
| [27:53] | ants, cockroaches. | 我们就像是小虫子、蚂蚁、蟑螂呀 | 
| [27:55] | We’re no better than the little vermin | 我们不比小那些在厨房地板上跑来跑去的小虫子强 | 
| [27:57] | running around on our kitchen floor. | 我们不比小那些在厨房地板上跑来跑去的小虫子强 | 
| [27:59] | We should just wipe the earth clean of mankind. | 我们就应该把地球上的人都抹掉算了 | 
| [28:08] | Motion to rid mankind denied. | 消灭人类的动议,被否决了 | 
| [28:12] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 | 
| [28:34] | Kenneth, clearly, I don’t like you. | Kenneth,很明显,我不喜欢你 | 
| [28:37] | But I have always, | 但我一直 | 
| [28:38] | always considered you a legal talent | 一直认为你是个法律天才 | 
| [28:41] | and an extremely formidable foe. | 一个极其强大的敌人 | 
| [28:45] | But now, | 但现在 | 
| [28:47] | Kenneth, you need to get some help. | Kenneth,你需要寻求一些帮助 | 
| [28:51] | You’re rambling on | 你像一个嗑了药的布道者一样东扯西拉 | 
| [28:52] | like an evangelist on Coke. | 你像一个嗑了药的布道者一样东扯西拉 | 
| [28:55] | Whether it’s a vacation… | 要么度个假或者。。。 | 
| [28:57] | Are you sexually attracted to me? | 你觉得我性感吗? | 
| [29:02] | No, I’m not. | 不,我不觉得 | 
| [29:04] | I didn’t think so, | 我不这样看 | 
| [29:06] | but the shrink threw it out, so I thought I’d ask. | 但心理医生说起这事,所以我想问问 | 
| [29:10] | Women never are, you know, | 知道吗,女人从来不觉得我性感 | 
| [29:13] | attracted to me. | 知道吗,女人从来不觉得我性感 | 
| [29:16] | See sperm magnet over there? | 看到那边的小妖精了吗? | 
| [29:20] | Not in my wildest dreams. | 我做梦都想不到 | 
| [29:21] | Kenneth, you need to take a break. | Kenneth,你需要休息一下了 | 
| [29:25] | Maybe. | 或许吧 | 
| [29:28] | I am tired. | 我累了 | 
| [29:32] | Uh, I seem to be tired a lot. | 呃,我觉得好像很累呀 | 
| [29:41] | I’m tired. | 我累了 | 
| [30:10] | All set? | 都收拾好了? | 
| [30:13] | Bobby, | |
| [30:15] | I wanna start my own practice. | 我想自己做业务 | 
| [30:20] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? | 
| [30:21] | DOLE: I can rent this office, | 我可以租下这间办公室 | 
| [30:23] | take little cases. | 办些小案子 | 
| [30:24] | Lindsay… | |
| [30:25] | I’m not ready to just jump back in, Bobby. | 我一下子还适应不了就这么回去 | 
| [30:27] | Uh, I don’t know when I will be. | 呃,我也不知道什么时候可以 | 
| [30:29] | Uh, and this is a way for me to take baby steps. | 呃,这也算是一种渐渐取得进展的方法 | 
| [30:32] | Start a new practice in this room? | 在这里开始做新业务? | 
| [30:35] | DOLE: I can take little collection cases, | 我可以接一些小案子 | 
| [30:36] | contract disputes, fight parking tickets. | 合同纠纷,申诉停车罚单 | 
| [30:38] | I can even be my own secretary. | 我甚至可以自己做秘书 | 
| [30:40] | I can use your library. | 我可以用你的资料室 | 
| [30:41] | Lucy can help me with pleadings | Lucy可以时不时地帮我准备诉状 | 
| [30:43] | from time to time. | Lucy可以时不时地帮我准备诉状 | 
| [30:46] | I like the quiet here. | 我喜欢这里的安静 | 
| [30:52] | YOUNG: Let’s not think for a second | 我们绝对不要认为这与宗教自由无关 | 
| [30:54] | this isn’t about freedom of religion. | 我们绝对不要认为这与宗教自由无关 | 
| [30:58] | There’s not even a suggestion | 甚至也没有推测Roland和Wendy Hubert | 
| [30:59] | that Roland and Wendy Hubert | 甚至也没有推测Roland和Wendy Hubert | 
| [31:00] | didn’t believe prayer | 不相信祈祷会有助于他们儿子的康复的理由 | 
| [31:02] | was capable of healing their son. | 不相信祈祷会有助于他们儿子的康复的理由 | 
| [31:04] | It had in the past. | 这种情况是发生过的 | 
| [31:06] | It had cured Peter in the past, | 在过去是治好了Peter的 | 
| [31:08] | and they believed it would do so here. | 所以他们相信这次也行 | 
| [31:11] | They are on trial because the prosecution | 他们受审是因为检方认为 | 
| [31:13] | considers that belief, that religious belief, | 他们的信仰,也就是宗教信仰 | 
| [31:16] | to be unreasonable. | 是不合理 | 
| [31:18] | And you know what? | 要我来说的话 | 
| [31:19] | So do I. | 我也认为不合理 | 
| [31:21] | My kid, he goes to the hospital. | 我的孩子,他就去医院 | 
| [31:22] | But that’s me, my right. | 但那是我,我的权利 | 
| [31:24] | Mr. and Mrs. Hubert have their rights. | Hubert夫妇也有他们的权利 | 
| [31:27] | Problem is, | 问题在于 | 
| [31:28] | they picked the wrong time in the world | 他们行使这个权利的时机太错误了 | 
| [31:30] | to exercise them. | 他们行使这个权利的时机太错误了 | 
| [31:31] | See, the American people have no tolerance right now | 美国人民现在不能容忍 | 
| [31:34] | for somebody dying in the name of a God | 有人以上帝的名义死于不受欢迎的宗教 | 
| [31:36] | from an unpopular religion. | 有人以上帝的名义死于不受欢迎的宗教 | 
| [31:38] | And that’s exactly | 而这正是 | 
| [31:39] | why this case is important. | 为什么这个案子很重要的原因 | 
| [31:42] | But not just to the Huberts, | 不只针对Hubert夫妇 | 
| [31:45] | to all of us. | 对我们所有人也很重要 | 
| [31:47] | Every legal scholar across this country today | 当前全国所有的法律学者 | 
| [31:50] | is united in one common sentiment, | 都有一个共同的观点 | 
| [31:52] | we are one terrorist attack away | 就是我们离告别宪法只差一次恐怖袭击 | 
| [31:54] | from kissing the constitution goodbye. | 就是我们离告别宪法只差一次恐怖袭击 | 
| [31:56] | Now, this case isn’t about terrorism. | 眼下,这个案子无关恐怖主义 | 
| [31:59] | Of course not. | 当然是无关的 | 
| [32:00] | But it is one affected by it, | 但这是受其影响的 | 
| [32:02] | because our civil rights, | 因为我们的公民权利 | 
| [32:04] | including and especially | 包括且尤其是宗教自由 | 
| [32:06] | freedom of religion, | 包括且尤其是宗教自由 | 
| [32:07] | are becoming endangered species. | 正在成为濒危物种 | 
| [32:09] | This trial would have never happened | 这次审判在911之前绝对不会发生的 | 
| [32:11] | before September 11th. | 这次审判在911之前绝对不会发生的 | 
| [32:13] | Never. | 绝对不会 | 
| [32:15] | They can’t even show how medical help | 他们甚至不能证明医疗治疗如何能拯救Peter Hubert | 
| [32:16] | would have saved Peter Hubert. | 他们甚至不能证明医疗治疗如何能拯救Peter Hubert | 
| [32:18] | He caught a deadly virus | 他染上了致命的病毒 | 
| [32:20] | that is fatal much of the time, | 其在大多数情况下不管治疗与否 | 
| [32:22] | medical care or not. | 都会致死的 | 
| [32:23] | How? | 怎么能呢? | 
| [32:25] | Huh? | 嗯? | 
| [32:26] | How can you charge a couple with murder | 在找了医生也很可能是同样结果的情况下 | 
| [32:29] | for not calling a doctor | 在找了医生也很可能是同样结果的情况下 | 
| [32:31] | when the strong possibility is | 怎么能因为没有去找医生而指控一对儿夫妻谋杀罪名呢? | 
| [32:33] | calling that doctor | 怎么能因为没有去找医生而指控一对儿夫妻谋杀罪名呢? | 
| [32:34] | would have made no difference? | 怎么能因为没有去找医生而指控一对儿夫妻谋杀罪名呢? | 
| [32:38] | They have no case. | 他们的起诉不成立 | 
| [32:41] | But here we are, just the same. | 但我们还是在这儿 | 
| [32:42] | Why? Because the public is angry. | 为什么?因为公众愤怒 | 
| [32:44] | Somebody died, seemingly for somebody else’s God, | 有人死了,似乎是为了别人的上帝 | 
| [32:47] | and we sure as hell don’t go for that, do we? | 我们当然不会那么做,是吗? | 
| [32:50] | Don’t you dare think this isn’t a referendum | 你们敢认为这不是对基督教科学的公投吗 | 
| [32:52] | on Christian Science. | 你们敢认为这不是对基督教科学的公投吗 | 
| [32:54] | Don’t you dare believe | 你们敢相信宗教自由在此没有效力吗 | 
| [32:55] | freedom of religion | 你们敢相信宗教自由在此没有效力吗 | 
| [32:57] | isn’t in play here. | 你们敢相信宗教自由在此没有效力吗 | 
| [32:58] | These people aren’t murderers. | 这些人不是凶手 | 
| [33:00] | They’re loving parents. | 他们是慈爱的父母 | 
| [33:02] | Even the prosecution’s own witness told you that. | 甚至控方的证人也告诉过你们这一点了 | 
| [33:05] | And Mr. Hubert’s testimony? | 还记得Hubert先生的证词吗? | 
| [33:07] | About the medical perversities | 关于医学上的有违常理的做法 | 
| [33:08] | such as transplants, | 比如移植 | 
| [33:10] | stem cell research, | 干细胞研究 | 
| [33:11] | cloning, it’s all true. | 克隆,都是真实的 | 
| [33:14] | Doctors playing God. | 医生们在扮演上帝的角色 | 
| [33:17] | Well, as human beings, | 作为人类 | 
| [33:19] | we all implore, “Let God be God.” | 我们都祈求“让上帝成为主宰” | 
| [33:23] | Well, that’s what Wendy and Roland | 那就是Wendy和Roland想要做的 | 
| [33:26] | were trying to do here. | 那就是Wendy和Roland想要做的 | 
| [33:28] | They were attempting to save their child | 他们期望让上帝来主宰以拯救他们的孩子 | 
| [33:31] | by letting God… | 以拯救他们的孩子 | 
| [33:33] | be God. | 以拯救他们的孩子 | 
| [33:41] | If they succeed in making this about | 如果他们成功地使本案 | 
| [33:43] | freedom of religion, | 成为关乎宗教自由的话 | 
| [33:45] | they win. | 他们就赢了 | 
| [33:46] | Because we’re all for the First Amendment, aren’t we? | 因为我们全都赞成第一修正案,不是吗? | 
| [33:49] | One person’s faith is no more right | 一个人的信仰并不比另一个人的更正确 | 
| [33:52] | than the next guy’s. | 一个人的信仰并不比另一个人的更正确 | 
| [33:53] | If I have the burden of condemning Christian Science, | 如果我负有谴责基督教科学学派的举证责任 | 
| [33:56] | then the prosecution loses, | 那控方就输了 | 
| [33:59] | as it should. | 本该如此 | 
| [34:00] | But this case has nothing to do with religion. | 但是这个案子与宗教自由无关 | 
| [34:05] | This case is about parenting, | 这个案子是关于如何为人父母的 | 
| [34:08] | something we very much hold | 这是某种我们要坚持使其达到合理标准的事情 | 
| [34:10] | up to the standards of reasonableness, | 这是某种我们要坚持使其达到合理标准的事情 | 
| [34:13] | not to mention decency. | 更不必说到行为准则了 | 
| [34:15] | This case is about a little boy who got sick, | 这个案子是关乎一个生病的小男孩 | 
| [34:18] | first with a burning fever, | 起初是发烧 | 
| [34:20] | then muscle pain, | 然后肌肉疼痛 | 
| [34:21] | nausea, perhaps delirium. | 恶心,也许是神志失常 | 
| [34:23] | This is about a child | 这是关乎一个肺部充满积液的孩子 | 
| [34:25] | whose lungs filled up with fluid | 这是关乎一个肺部充满积液的孩子 | 
| [34:27] | to the point where he could no longer breathe, | 已经到了他无法呼吸的地步 | 
| [34:30] | to the point of death. | 到了死亡的地步 | 
| [34:33] | All under the watch | 这一切 | 
| [34:36] | of those two people, | 都被这两个人看在眼里 | 
| [34:38] | his parents. | 他的父母 | 
| [34:40] | A neighbor heard the screams, | 一个邻居听到了尖叫声 | 
| [34:42] | called an ambulance. | 叫来了救护车 | 
| [34:44] | They sent the paramedics away. | 他们却把医护人员打发走了 | 
| [34:47] | The expert evidence here, | 这里的专家证据 | 
| [34:49] | which stands uncontradicted, | 是毫无争议的 | 
| [34:51] | is that Peter Hubert | 如果Peter Hubert得到治疗的话 | 
| [34:53] | likely would have been saved | 如果Peter Hubert得到治疗的话 | 
| [34:56] | had he gotten medical attention. | 很可能会被救活的 | 
| [34:59] | So, we don’t need to dignify | 所以,我们不需要去理会 | 
| [35:01] | defense counsel’s ridiculous claim | 辩护律师荒谬的说法 | 
| [35:04] | that what they did, | 他们做了什么 | 
| [35:05] | what they didn’t do, | 或者他们没做什么 | 
| [35:07] | made no difference. | 这都没有什么影响 | 
| [35:09] | You can believe in whatever God you want, | 只要你想要,什么样的上帝你都可以相信 | 
| [35:12] | worship the way you like. | 以你喜欢的方式去崇拜 | 
| [35:16] | But when you have a child, | 但当你有了孩子 | 
| [35:19] | when you bring a child | 当你把一个孩子带到这个世界上 | 
| [35:20] | into this world, | 当你把一个孩子带到这个世界上 | 
| [35:23] | you have a duty. | 你就有了一份责任 | 
| [35:25] | You owe that child. | 这是你欠那个孩子的 | 
| [35:27] | When you see him dying, | 当你看到他死去 | 
| [35:29] | dying a painful death | 在你面前痛苦地死去 | 
| [35:32] | in front of you, | 在你面前痛苦地死去 | 
| [35:33] | you have a duty to get that child | 你有义务让那孩子得到治疗 | 
| [35:36] | medical attention. | 你有义务让那孩子得到治疗 | 
| [35:38] | You cannot ignore that obligation | 你不能通过让自己打着某种宗教自由的幌子 | 
| [35:40] | by cloaking yourself | 你不能通过让自己打着某种宗教自由的幌子 | 
| [35:42] | in some religious freedom. | 而无视这种义务 | 
| [35:45] | I’m offended by Mr. Young’s | 我被Young先生不惜利用恐怖主义 | 
| [35:48] | trading on terrorism | 不惜利用我们对变化的世界的恐惧的行为所触怒了 | 
| [35:49] | on our fears over our changing world. | 不惜利用我们对变化的世界的恐惧的行为所触怒了 | 
| [35:53] | I assure you I prosecuted murderers | 我向你保证在911之前我会起诉谋杀的 | 
| [35:56] | before September 11th, | 我向你保证在911之前我会起诉谋杀的 | 
| [35:57] | and I continue to do so after. | 之后也会继续这样做 | 
| [35:59] | If you’re looking to draw | 如果你想找到些关联的话 | 
| [36:01] | any connection, | 如果你想找到些关联的话 | 
| [36:02] | what happened September 11th, | 发生在911的事 | 
| [36:04] | what happened to Peter Hubert, | 发生在Peter Hubert身上的事 | 
| [36:09] | both were crimes against | 都是针对人性之本的犯罪 | 
| [36:10] | the very core of humanity. | 都是针对人性之本的犯罪 | 
| [36:15] | A little boy died. | 一个小男孩死了 | 
| [36:18] | He suffered | 他的遭遇是因为 | 
| [36:22] | because his parents | 他的父母不愿找医生 | 
| [36:23] | wouldn’t call a doctor. | 他的父母不愿找医生 | 
| [36:28] | That’s why we’re here. | 这就是我们来这里的原因 | 
| [36:30] | That is the only reason we are here. | 是我们来这里的唯一原因 | 
| [36:49] | So now… DONNELL: We wait. | – 那现在。。。 – 我们等着 | 
| [36:51] | They’ll deliberate till 5:00. | 陪审团会合议到5点 | 
| [36:52] | If they haven’t reached a verdict, | 如果他们达不成一致裁决 | 
| [36:54] | they’ll suspend till tomorrow. | 会暂停到明天再议 | 
| [36:59] | Remember how I said this baby wasn’t gonna wait? | 还记得我是怎么说的这孩子等不及了? | 
| [37:01] | Now? | 现在吗? | 
| [37:04] | Not this second, but today. | 不是现在,但应该在今天 | 
| [37:07] | May–maybe we should get the paramedics. | 也许,也许我们应该找医护人员 | 
| [37:10] | Is that okay? | 还行吗? | 
| [37:11] | Yeah. To take her home, yes. | 还行,带她回家,是的 | 
| [37:12] | We have a midwife. I’ll call her. | 我们有助产士。我给她打电话 | 
| [37:14] | She can meet us there. | 她可以去家里找我们 | 
| [37:21] | Don’t you like it? | 你们不喜欢吗? | 
| [37:23] | Well, yes, | 挺好的,喜欢 | 
| [37:24] | but the personal stuff | 但个人业务就不会找上门来了 | 
| [37:26] | is usually left off the door. | 但个人业务就不会找上门来了 | 
| [37:28] | I’ll take it off eventually. | 最终我会摘掉的 | 
| [37:30] | But I want the people who hire me to get the idea. | 但我想让雇我的人知道 | 
| [37:31] | I’m not gonna be here late or on call at home. | 我不会迟到,但也不会随叫随到 | 
| [37:34] | If they see “mother”, | 如果他们看到“妈妈”这两个字 | 
| [37:36] | it makes a point. | 有点道理 | 
| [37:38] | Yes, it does. | 嗯,是的 | 
| [37:45] | How’d it go? | 情况怎么样? | 
| [37:46] | I’ll know soon. | 我很快就会知道了 | 
| [37:48] | How about you? | 你呢? | 
| [37:49] | I lost. | 我输了 | 
| [37:50] | Well, you know Swackheim, | 呃,你了解Swackheim法官的 | 
| [37:52] | lazy, fat. | 懒惰,肥胖 | 
| [37:57] | Listen, uh, | 听着,呃 | 
| [37:58] | I’m taking some time, | 我需要些时间 | 
| [38:01] | go away, get some rest. | 离开这儿,休息一下 | 
| [38:05] | I’m just gonna take some time. | 我只是需要些时间 | 
| [38:10] | How much? | 多久? | 
| [38:11] | Oh, I don’t know. | 噢,我说不清 | 
| [38:14] | Until I, uh– | 直到我,呃。。。 | 
| [38:17] | I get better. | 好转一些 | 
| [38:21] | You will get better. | 你会好起来的 | 
| [38:22] | You–you’ve just been, | 你。。。你刚刚 | 
| [38:24] | uh, overworked, overtired. | 呃,过度工作,过度疲劳 | 
| [38:29] | Helen, | |
| [38:31] | I, uh– | 我,呃。。。 | 
| [38:37] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 | 
| [38:41] | Just get yourself well, | 只管照顾好自己 | 
| [38:44] | whatever it takes. | 尽一切所能 | 
| [38:49] | Well, uh, | 好的 | 
| [38:50] | I’ll be fine. | 我会好起来的 | 
| [38:55] | I’ll be fine. | 我会好起来的 | 
| [38:56] | I’ll be fine. | 我会好起来的 | 
| [39:06] | the verdict is still out on me, | 我的案子裁决还没有定论 | 
| [39:07] | but yours just came in. | 不过你那个有结果了 | 
| [39:18] | You’re doing fine. | 你做得很好 | 
| [39:19] | You’re doing great. | 你做得很棒 | 
| [39:24] | Can they read the verdict without them present? | 他们能在缺席情况下宣读判决吗? | 
| [39:26] | They’ll have to. | 他们必须这么做 | 
| [39:46] | Madam Foreperson, | 陪审团主席女士 | 
| [39:48] | has the jury reached a unanimous verdict? | 陪审团达成一致裁决了吗? | 
| [39:50] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人 | 
| [39:52] | Almost. | 差不多了 | 
| [39:53] | Keep going. | 继续 | 
| [39:54] | Just a couple more, honey. | 再来几次,亲爱的 | 
| [39:57] | FOREPERSON: In the matter of Commonwealth | 马萨诸塞州诉Roland Hubert及Wendy Hubert | 
| [39:59] | versus Roland Hubert and Wendy Hubert. | 马萨诸塞州诉Roland Hubert及Wendy Hubert | 
| [40:02] | On count one, | 第一项罪名 | 
| [40:03] | murder in the second degree | 指控Roland Hubert的二级谋杀罪名 | 
| [40:04] | against Roland Hubert, | 指控Roland Hubert的二级谋杀罪名 | 
| [40:06] | we find the defendant, | 我们裁定被告 | 
| [40:08] | Roland Hubert, guilty. | Roland Hubert罪名成立 | 
| [40:13] | FOREPERSON: On count two, | 第二项罪名 | 
| [40:15] | murder in the second degree against Wendy Hubert, | 指控Wendy Hubert的二级谋杀罪名 | 
| [40:18] | we find the defendant, | 我们裁定被告 | 
| [40:19] | Wendy Hubert, | Wendy Hubert | 
| [40:21] | guilty. | 罪名成立 | 
| [40:25] | Oh, here he comes. | 噢,他出来了 | 
| [40:26] | Oh, he’s beautiful. (baby crying) | 哦,他真漂亮 | 
| [40:31] | Here he is. | 你来抱抱 | 
| [40:39] | Arrest warrants are issued for Mr. and Mrs. Hubert. | 对Hubert夫妇发出逮捕令 | 
| [40:42] | Your Honor, can we be allowed to surrender them? | 法官大人,能允许我们把他们带过来吗? | 
| [40:44] | I’m sorry. Post-conviction. | 抱歉,在定罪后 | 
| [40:46] | I can’t give you that courtesy. | 我不能给你那种礼遇了 | 
| [40:48] | Members of the jury, thank you for your service. | 陪审团成员,感谢你们的服务 | 
| [40:51] | This matter is adjourned. | 休庭 | 
| [40:56] | Can you give me a 15-minute head start? | 你能让我们先到15分钟吗? | 
| [40:59] | Okay. | 好吧 | 
| [41:01] | She had a boy. | 她生了 | 
| [41:04] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 | 
| [41:11] | YOUNG: They’ll take Wendy to a medical facility. | 我们会把Wendy送到医疗中心 | 
| [41:13] | By law, they have to at least for a day. | 按照法律,至少得给一天时间 | 
| [41:18] | What about my son? | 那我儿子呢? | 
| [41:20] | YOUNG: Social services is on their way. | 社会服务机构就要来人了 | 
| [41:21] | They take custody initially | 他们先负责监护 | 
| [41:24] | until we figure things out. | 直到我们想出办法来 | 
| [41:26] | Why can’t he come with us? | 他为什么不能和我们一起去? | 
| [41:27] | I’ll make sure he’s okay, Wendy. | 我会确保他安好的,Wendy | 
| [41:29] | Don’t you worry. | 别担心 | 
| [41:31] | OFFICER: Let’s go. | 走吧 | 
| [41:36] | I’ll wait for social services. | 我会等社会服务机构的人 | 
| [41:46] | MIDWIFE: What really happens? | 到底会怎么样? | 
| [41:49] | He goes into foster homes? | 送他去寄养家庭? | 
| [41:50] | I’m not really sure. | 我不能确定 | 
| [41:54] | He’s beautiful, isn’t he? | 他真漂亮,不是吗? | 
| [41:55] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [41:57] | Would you like to hold him? | 你想抱抱他吗? | 
| [42:00] | Sure. | 当然了 | 
| [42:02] | Here you go. | 给你 | 
| [42:05] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [42:12] | I need to clean up. | 我需要清理一下 | 
| [42:13] | I’ll just be a second. | 我马上就来 | 
| [42:24] | What? I’m not adopting, if that’s where you’re going. | 怎么了?我不会领养的,如果你要领养的话 | 
| [42:26] | I wasn’t. I was just looking at an odd sight, | 我不会的,我只是在看着如此境地之下的 | 
| [42:29] | under the circumstances. | 一个奇怪的景象 | 
| [42:36] | He is beautiful. | 他真漂亮 | 
| [42:41] | Yeah. | 是呀 |