时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | We’re certainly prepared to go to trial. | 我们当然准备上庭 |
[00:04] | Don’t misunderstand. | 对此不要有误解 |
[00:05] | You just don’t think you can win? | 你们就是觉得赢不了? |
[00:08] | It’s not that we can’t, | 不是因为我们赢不了 |
[00:10] | but nobody’s ever won this type of suit before. | 而是从来还没有人赢下这种类型的诉讼 |
[00:13] | There is a last-minute offer. | 这里有最后一次提出的和解条件 |
[00:16] | It’s likely just to avoid trial, but… | 可能只是为了避免出庭,但。。。 |
[00:20] | it’s something. | 值得考虑一下 |
[00:21] | How much? | 多少钱? |
[00:23] | It’s, uh… | 是,呃。。。 |
[00:26] | $8,000. | 八千 |
[00:28] | Eight thousand dollars? | 八千? |
[00:31] | Is that the going rate for manual rape these days? | 这算是当下强奸别人的标准市价吗? |
[00:33] | YOUNG: The thing is, | 问题在于 |
[00:35] | this case isn’t against the church or the priest. | 这个案子不是针对教堂或者牧师的 |
[00:38] | It’s against the fellow victim. | 而是针对受害者的同伴 |
[00:40] | It’s against someone who could have prevented it | 针对的是一个他可以也应该 |
[00:42] | from happening to me, and should have. | 让我避免受到伤害的人 |
[00:45] | FRUTT: Like I said, | 我说了 |
[00:47] | we’re prepared to move forward, | 我们准备好去出庭了 |
[00:49] | but we need you to be aware, | 但是我们要让你清楚 |
[00:51] | we’re not confident of victory. | 我们没有信心赢下来 |
[00:54] | I’m not walking away for $8,000. | 我不会为了八千元而罢手的 |
[01:52] | BALL: We saw the article in the newspaper, um, | 我们在报纸上看到了这篇文章 |
[01:55] | on the fat woman singing, uh, and we thought… | 关于那个唱歌的胖女人,呃,我们想。。。 |
[01:57] | maybe you’re like the specialist in nuisance law, | 也许你是公害及妨害法方面的专家 |
[02:00] | which is– that’s why we’re here. | 这是。。。我们来找你的原因 |
[02:01] | Uh, but you’re suing her? | 呃,但你是要起诉她? |
[02:04] | BALL: Yeah. That’s correct. | 对,没错 |
[02:05] | She’s my neighbor. | 她是我的邻居 |
[02:06] | And, uh– | 呃。。。 |
[02:08] | well, neither one of us could afford a big trial. | 是这样的,我们俩都负担不起庭审费用 |
[02:10] | And we’d heard about this, uh, | 但我们听说。呃 |
[02:13] | alternative dispute resolution, where, uh, | 替代性纠纷解决机制,呃 |
[02:17] | a lawyer, you know, kind of, decides. | 类似于,找一个律师来做决定 |
[02:20] | You know, like a ref or something. | 像是一个裁判之类的 |
[02:22] | It actually isn’t that simple. | 其实没那么简单 |
[02:23] | Each of you would have to be represented | 你们每个人都应该 |
[02:25] | by your own attorney. | 找一个自己的律师 |
[02:27] | Oh. | 哦 |
[02:30] | Well, have you got another one here? | 那么,你能给再找一个律师来吗? |
[02:36] | DONNELL: I thought this was supposed to settle. | 我认为这案子应该和解 |
[02:37] | They lowballed us. | 对方成心压低和解条件 |
[02:38] | You can’t try this. | 你们不能上庭 |
[02:39] | The jury will laugh at you. | 陪审团会笑话你们的 |
[02:42] | Why the hell didn’t you just sue the church? | 你到底是为什么不去起诉教堂呢? |
[02:44] | We did. We got lumped | 我们是那么做的 |
[02:45] | into a class action on that. | 我们已经对此有一个集体诉讼 |
[02:46] | We’re pursuing this defendant separately. | 现在我们是在单独追索这个被告 |
[02:48] | Why, because he’s a deep pocket? | 为什么,因为他很有钱? |
[02:49] | Bobby. | |
[02:50] | This is a dog, Eugene, and you know it. | Eugene,你很清楚,这案子不好办 |
[02:54] | A victim has no duty to another victim. | 一个受害人对另一个受害人不负责任 |
[02:56] | It’s tort law 101. | 这是侵权法规定的 |
[02:57] | Without duty, there’s no breach. | 没有责任,也就不存在违约 |
[02:59] | Perhaps you’d like to argue for the other side. | 也许你愿意为对方做辩护吧 |
[03:01] | The other side, at least, has merits. | 至少对方更值当一些 |
[03:02] | Yes. Which has always been a prerequisite | 对,我们接的案子一直是这样的 |
[03:04] | for taking a case here. | 对,我们接的案子一直是这样的 |
[03:05] | All right. | 算了 |
[03:08] | HATCHER: Walk up. | 来了个散客 |
[03:09] | I took the last one. I’m in trial. | – 上一个是我接待的 – 我手头有活儿了 |
[03:10] | Jamie. | Jamie,你去 |
[03:11] | Excellent. | 好呀 |
[03:16] | I’m sorry. None of you find her too perky? | 你们没人发现她精力太旺盛了吗? |
[03:19] | To answer your question, | 我来回答你的问题 |
[03:20] | a civil case should have merit | 你要按风险收费方式接下一件民事诉讼 |
[03:22] | before you take it on a contingency, | 这案子总得是值得做的才行 |
[03:24] | for God’s sakes, which you know. | 天呀,你又不是不知道 |
[03:28] | I think another bias is in play here. | 我认为还有一种偏见也在起作用 |
[03:29] | FRUTT: Bobby. Excuse me? | Bobby,你说什么? |
[03:30] | Are you talking about my bias or yours? | 你是指我有偏见还是你有偏见? |
[03:32] | Eugene. YOUNG: The jury – Eugene | – 陪审团 |
[03:33] | will just laugh at us? | 难道会笑话我们吗? |
[03:34] | The man was raped. | 这人被强奸了 |
[03:35] | What kind of bias allows for a person | 什么样的偏见会使人对此视而不见? |
[03:37] | to see that as nothing? | 什么样的偏见会使人对此视而不见? |
[03:39] | You know what? Good luck with your case. | 祝你好运吧 |
[03:41] | I hope you win. | 我希望你能赢 |
[03:49] | I mean, it’s my apartment. | 我是说,我在自己的公寓里 |
[03:52] | I should be allowed to make ordinary household noises. | 一般的家常噪音总是可以有的吧 |
[03:55] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[03:56] | So you both went to Lindsay Dole. | 你们俩都去找Lindsay Dole |
[03:58] | Yes. And she said | 对,但她说 |
[03:59] | we needed separate attorneys, | 我们需要分别请律师 |
[04:01] | and sent me over here. | 就让我来这儿了 |
[04:03] | Excellent. | 很好 |
[04:04] | And the nature of the household noises? | 你说的家常噪音是哪一种? |
[04:06] | Lovemaking. | 做爱 |
[04:10] | Lovemaking? | 做爱? |
[04:11] | Yes. | 对 |
[04:13] | I guess… | 我猜是。。。 |
[04:15] | I’m a little vocal. | 我嗓门有点大 |
[04:17] | I can’t believe I’m saying this, Zeus in heaven. | 天呀,真想不到我连这种话都说出来了 |
[04:20] | So… | 那么。。。 |
[04:21] | FARCHER: And, see, Albert, | 然后,Albert |
[04:23] | he and I used to be a couple. | 他和我以前是一对儿 |
[04:26] | So it’s difficult for him to hear noises | 所以他听不得那些 |
[04:29] | that used to only get made for him. | 以前只会为他而发出的声音 |
[04:32] | Ah. | 哦 |
[04:33] | I think that’s what this is really about. | 我觉得这就是根本原因 |
[04:36] | He’s just trying to stop me from making love. | 他就是想不让我做爱 |
[04:40] | He’s a very jealous man. | 他是个嫉妒心非常强的人 |
[04:45] | I was 18 years old at the time. | 那时候我十八岁 |
[04:48] | I was having emotional problems at school… | 我在学校和家里有些情绪方面的问题。。。 |
[04:50] | and at home. | 我在学校和家里有些情绪方面的问题。。。 |
[04:52] | And I knew that Walter was being counseled by him, | 我得知Walter正在接受他的治疗 |
[04:54] | so I thought that I would try it. | 所以我想我也可以试试看 |
[04:56] | Walter Beck was a friend of yours? | Walter Beck是你朋友吗? |
[04:58] | My best friend. | 是我最好的朋友 |
[05:00] | In fact, he was the only friend | 其实,我这对他这一个朋友吐露了我的问题 |
[05:01] | that I confided my problems to. | 其实,我这对他这一个朋友吐露了我的问题 |
[05:03] | It was because of this I learned | 那是因为我知道他在接受Brindle神父的治疗 |
[05:04] | that he was seeing Father Brindle. | 那是因为我知道他在接受Brindle神父的治疗 |
[05:06] | And later you met with this priest. | 后来你见到了这个神父 |
[05:09] | GRAYSON: Yes. | 对 |
[05:10] | FRUTT: And what happened? | 然后呢? |
[05:11] | GRAYSON: At first, he thought | 一开始,他以为我有抑郁症 |
[05:12] | that I was suffering from depression, | 一开始,他以为我有抑郁症 |
[05:15] | and then he started to zoom in on fear of intimacy, | 然后他开始把关注集中到亲密行为恐惧症上 |
[05:19] | physical intimacy. | 身体亲密行为恐惧症 |
[05:20] | FRUTT: And, at some point, this went beyond talk. | 而后,到了某个阶段,不仅是谈话沟通了 |
[05:24] | GRAYSON: Yes. | 对 |
[05:25] | After… | 几个月后。。。 |
[05:27] | a couple of months or so, | 几个月后。。。 |
[05:28] | he asked me… | 他要我。。。 |
[05:30] | to take my clothes off, | 脱下衣服 |
[05:32] | to be naked before God, | 在上帝面前赤裸身体 |
[05:34] | and to lie down on a sofa | 躺到 |
[05:36] | that he had in his office. | 他办公室的沙发上 |
[05:39] | For the next several sessions, I would talk… | 在接下来的几次,我和他谈话。。。 |
[05:42] | while naked. | 是光着身子的 |
[05:45] | And, uh, then it began to progress | 然后,呃,然后他进而和我躺在一起 |
[05:49] | where he would lie down with me, | 然后,呃,然后他进而和我躺在一起 |
[05:52] | clothed… | 他穿着衣服 |
[05:54] | and hold me, | 抱着我 |
[05:56] | to help me… | 帮助我。。。 |
[05:57] | with my phobia of physical intimacy, | 就如他所说的那样 |
[05:59] | as he would put it. | 帮我克服对身体亲密的恐惧 |
[06:01] | And then he would take off his clothes | 然后他会脱掉他的衣服 |
[06:04] | and lie down next to me naked as well. | 和我一样光着身子躺在一起 |
[06:08] | Soon after that, he began to molest me. | 不久后,他开始对我猥亵 |
[06:12] | Arvin… | |
[06:14] | did you ever talk to Walter Beck about this? | 你对Walter Beck说过这些吗? |
[06:17] | I didn’t tell him specifically what was happening, | 我没有告诉他具体发生了什么事 |
[06:21] | but I raised questions. | 但我提出了问题 |
[06:23] | I asked Walter how much he trusted this priest, | 我问Walter他是不是很信任这个神父 |
[06:26] | and Walter always spoke incredibly highly of him. | 而Walter总是对他评价极好 |
[06:29] | So you continued to have sessions | 所以你继续接受Brindle神父的治疗 |
[06:31] | with father Brindle. | 所以你继续接受Brindle神父的治疗 |
[06:32] | GRAYSON: Yes. | 是的 |
[06:34] | And then he began… | 再后来他开始。。。 |
[06:35] | to penetrate me… | 用手捅我的。。。 |
[06:38] | with his hands. | 用手捅我的。。。 |
[06:40] | FRUTT: Did you ever tell anybody? | 你跟别人说过吗? |
[06:42] | GRAYSON: No. | 没有 |
[06:43] | Why not? | 为什么不说呢? |
[06:44] | Embarrassment… | 难堪。。。 |
[06:47] | shame, fear. | 羞耻,害怕 |
[06:50] | He was a very well-respected priest, | 他是一位非常受人尊敬的神父 |
[06:53] | and I thought perhaps I was the only one, | 我想也许我是唯一的一个 |
[06:55] | so I made a decision to stay quiet. | 所以我决定保持沉默 |
[07:00] | FRUTT: And then? | 然后呢? |
[07:02] | GRAYSON: Then after about a year… | 差不多一年后。。。 |
[07:04] | I stopped. | 我没再去了 |
[07:07] | My life went on. | 我继续生活 |
[07:09] | Certainly not well. | 当然生活并不顺心 |
[07:11] | For the next 20 some odd years, | 在接下来的20多年里 |
[07:13] | I tried to get those sessions out of my mind, | 我努力要忘掉那些事 |
[07:17] | until the allegations came out | 直到有人指责他对别人也做了这样的事 |
[07:19] | that he had done it to others. | 直到有人指责他对别人也做了这样的事 |
[07:20] | And at that point, you came forward? | 你是在那时站出来的? |
[07:23] | I joined a class action lawsuit | 我加入了一个 |
[07:25] | against the church and Father Brindle. | 针对教堂和Father尔神父的集体诉讼 |
[07:29] | And as I was reviewing the pleadings, | 当我在查阅诉状时 |
[07:32] | I came across the name of an old friend of mine, | 我偶然发现一个老朋友的名字 |
[07:35] | Walter Beck. | |
[07:38] | And I read that he had been molested | 我看到说他也被猥亵了 |
[07:40] | by the same priest… | 在我之前。。。 |
[07:42] | before me. | 同一个神父。。。 |
[07:45] | He spoke so highly of him. | 他对他评价很好 |
[07:46] | He’s the reason I went to him. | 因为他我才去找那个神父的 |
[07:50] | You let me walk into that room… | 使你让我走进那个房间。。。 |
[07:51] | Objection. | 反对 |
[07:52] | …knowing exactly | 。。。你完全清楚 |
[07:54] | what was waiting for me. | 等着我的是什么 |
[07:55] | Your Honor. PENDER: Mr. Grayson, | – 法官大人 – Grayson先生 |
[07:56] | please don’t address the defendant, sir. | 请不要对被告说话 |
[08:08] | A deposition? | 证人陈述? |
[08:09] | I would like to get his account on record. | 我想把他的陈述记录在案 |
[08:11] | That way… DOLE: Jamie, – Jamie | – 那样的话。。。 |
[08:12] | this is just a couple having a fight. | 这不过是一对夫妻吵架 |
[08:14] | Ex-couple. | 是前夫妻 |
[08:15] | And I couldn’t agree more. | 我对此完全同意 |
[08:17] | But I think that by formalizing | 但是我认为通过证人陈述 |
[08:18] | the proceedings with a deposition, | 使诉讼程序正式化 |
[08:20] | it might cause them to take a step back | 可能会使他们知难而退 |
[08:22] | and say, “Whoa.” | 可能会使他们知难而退 |
[08:23] | There’s no complain filed. | 都没有提出起诉状呀 |
[08:25] | I know. And maybe | 我知道,如果我们这样做 |
[08:26] | there won’t be if we do this. | 也许就不会有了 |
[08:28] | The goal is to make this go away quickly, right? | 我们的目的就是赶紧了事,对吗? |
[08:31] | And you simply can’t wait to take your first deposition. | 是你迫不及待地想要第一次做证人陈述吧 |
[08:36] | Does it show? | 你这都能看出来啊? |
[08:38] | It’s just that… | 这只是。。。 |
[08:39] | for it to be against you– talk about irony. | 为了和你当对手。。。我是说反话呢 |
[08:41] | You are such a role model for me. | 你可是我的楷模啊 |
[08:43] | I am? | 我是吗? |
[08:44] | Yes. | 真的 |
[08:46] | Not on stuff like anger management, | 不是在情绪控制方面 |
[08:49] | but professionally. | 而是在专业上 |
[08:55] | After you’d been molested by Father Brindle… | 你被Brindle神父猥亵之后 |
[08:58] | Raped. | 是强奸 |
[09:00] | …did you tell anybody? | 。。。你和别人说过吗? |
[09:02] | Not for 20 years. | 这20年都没有说过 |
[09:04] | And as you read the pleadings | 而当你看了集体诉讼的诉状 |
[09:05] | in the class action complaint, | 而当你看了集体诉讼的诉状 |
[09:07] | you saw that many other boys after you had also been molested, | 你看到了有很多别的男孩在你之后也被猥亵了 |
[09:11] | is that correct, sir? | 对吗,先生? |
[09:12] | Yes. | 是的 |
[09:13] | Would those boys have a cause of action | 那些男孩有理由对你的缄口不言提出责难吗? |
[09:16] | against you for not telling? | 那些男孩有理由对你的缄口不言提出责难吗? |
[09:17] | I didn’t know those other boys. | 我不认识那些男孩 |
[09:19] | As I testified, I thought | 我作证时说了,我以为 |
[09:20] | that I was the only victim, so… | 我是唯一的受害者,所以。。。 |
[09:21] | Did you tell Walter you’d been molested? | 你跟Walter说过你被猥亵了吗? |
[09:26] | I told him that I no longer trusted this priest | 我跟他说过我不再信任这个神父了 |
[09:29] | and that he should be careful around him. | 他应该要对他小心点 |
[09:30] | But you didn’t tell Walter you’d been molested. | 但是你没有告诉Walter你被猥亵了 |
[09:34] | No. | 没有 |
[09:35] | So he’s expected to tell you stuff you don’t tell him. | 那他就该告诉你那些你并没有告诉他的事 |
[09:38] | GRAYSON: He didn’t just not tell, | 他可不仅仅是没说而已 |
[09:40] | he vouched for this priest. | 他为这个神父做了担保 |
[09:42] | I didn’t do that with him. | 我可没有这么对他 |
[09:43] | ATTORNEY: You’ve testified that… | 你作证说过。。。 |
[09:45] | one of the reasons you didn’t come forward | 你没有站出来的理由之一 |
[09:47] | was because… | 是因为 |
[09:48] | you thought there was the possibility | 你以为有可能你是唯一的受害者 |
[09:50] | that you were the only one being victimized, | 你以为有可能你是唯一的受害者 |
[09:52] | did you not say that, sir? | 先生,你是那么说的吗? |
[09:53] | Yes. | 是的 |
[09:54] | Did you allow for the possibility | 那Beck先生也会 |
[09:56] | that Mr. Beck also thought | 以为他是唯一的受害者 |
[09:58] | that he was the only victim? | 你考虑到有这种可能吗? |
[10:05] | Even if he thought that, | 即使他那么以为 |
[10:07] | you don’t just sit by quietly | 也不该坐视不理 |
[10:09] | and let your best friend | 让你的好朋友 |
[10:10] | fall into a sex pervert’s clutches. | 落入性变态的魔掌里 |
[10:13] | He could have and should have said something, | 他本能也本该说点什么 |
[10:15] | instead he endorsed the guy. | 而不是给那家伙打包票 |
[10:24] | FRUTT: I thought he held up okay. | 我觉得他的理由还站得住脚 |
[10:26] | YOUNG: I don’t know. | 我说不好 |
[10:27] | This comes down to a definition of friendship. | 这说到底是如何定义友情 |
[10:29] | Slippery slope becomes a cliff. | 斜坡变成了悬崖 (Slippery slope理论被视为一种谬误, Eugene的意思可能是原告的理由过度夸大了因果关系) |
[10:31] | Are you ready for the defendant? | 你做好对被告交叉盘问的准备了吗? |
[10:36] | Don’t worry. | 别担心 |
[10:37] | I’ll get him. | 我会搞定他的 |
[10:44] | FRUTT: You know, Eugene, | Eugene,你明白的 |
[10:45] | this thing with the priests and the sex abuse, | 这件事涉及到神父和性虐待 |
[10:48] | it’s made a lot of people angry. | 使很多人感到愤怒 |
[10:52] | It’s clearly made you angry. | 显然你也很愤怒 |
[10:55] | And? | 那么? |
[10:57] | Well, I’m just curious | 呃,我只是好奇 |
[11:00] | as to why you seem to be directing | 你为什么要把这股火发到Bobby身上 |
[11:01] | that anger at Bobby. | 你为什么要把这股火发到Bobby身上 |
[11:04] | He came at me this morning, Ellenor. | Ellenor,早上是他冲我来 |
[11:06] | No. He attacked the merits of our case. | 不对,他针对的是我们案子的利弊 |
[11:09] | You responded by attacking him. | 你对此的反应是冲他发火 |
[11:12] | I didn’t mean for it to come off that way. | 我不是有意那样的 |
[11:17] | Is something else going on here? | 有别的什么原因吗? |
[11:19] | I’m upset over the case. | 这案子弄得我心烦意乱 |
[11:21] | If I acted out against him, | 如果我冲他发了火 |
[11:23] | uh, it wasn’t my intent. | 那不是我本意 |
[11:26] | And, again, he brought it to me first. | 我再说一遍,是他先冲我来的 |
[11:30] | It’s just about the case with me. | 这只是我的案子而已 |
[11:35] | Okay. | 那好吧 |
[11:44] | BALL: Two, three, sometimes four times. | 二次,三次,有时候是四次 |
[11:46] | A month? | 一个月吗? |
[11:47] | A week. | 一周 |
[11:48] | Can I interject? | 我可以插一句吗? |
[11:50] | No. This isn’t a discussion. | 不行,这是在做证人陈述 |
[11:51] | Well, I’d like you to ask him how he knows. | 那我想让你问问他是怎么知道的 |
[11:52] | Zeus in heaven, has he got his ear to the wall? | 我的天呀,是他偷听了吗? |
[11:54] | I don’t need my ear to the wall, Louise. | 我没有必要去偷听,Louise |
[11:56] | All right. Let’s not do this. | 好了,我们别这样了 |
[11:57] | She’s a slut. | 她就是个荡妇 |
[11:58] | STRINGER: Okay. Okay. | 好了好了 |
[12:00] | Time out. | 你们停一下 |
[12:01] | I’m going to ask the questions. | 我要继续问问题了 |
[12:03] | Mr. Ball, you’ll answer. | Ball先生,你来回答 |
[12:05] | Louise, you’ll remain quiet. | 而Louise,你要保持安静 |
[12:08] | Excellent. | 很好 |
[12:10] | So she would have multiple sexual visits | 所以她一周内会做爱好几次吗? |
[12:12] | during the week? | 所以她一周内会做爱好几次吗? |
[12:13] | Sometimes, yes. | 有些时候,是的 |
[12:14] | And these visits interfered | 这些妨碍了你在家中的宁静享受吗? |
[12:16] | with the quiet enjoyment of your property? | 这些妨碍了你在家中的宁静享受吗? |
[12:18] | Yes. | 对 |
[12:19] | STRINGER: Because you could hear the… | 因为你能听到。。。 |
[12:21] | activity through the walls? | 那些穿墙而来的声音? |
[12:23] | Yes. | 对 |
[12:24] | STRINGER: Excellent. | 很好 |
[12:25] | To the best of your ability, | 尽你所能 |
[12:27] | I’d like you to describe these sounds. | 我想请你描述一下这些声音 |
[12:29] | Oh, I don’t have to describe it. | 噢,我无需去描述这些 |
[12:31] | I taped it. | 我都录下来了 |
[12:33] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么? |
[12:37] | Right here on tape. | 都录下来了 |
[12:39] | Shall I play? | 我能放出来吗? |
[12:40] | Well, sure. | 呃,可以 |
[12:52] | That’s what you sound like? Zeus in heaven. | – 听起来是你的声音吗? – 我的天呀 |
[12:58] | Okay, Albert, we’ve heard it. | 好了,Albert,我们都听到了 |
[13:04] | As you can see… | 如你所见。。。 |
[13:06] | it’s quite disruptive. | 这太具有破坏性了 |
[13:10] | I didn’t seek out Arvin and say to him, | 我没有去找Arvin对他说 |
[13:14] | “You should go see this priest.” | “你不应该去找这个神父了” |
[13:16] | Arvin came to me. | 是Arvin来找我的 |
[13:18] | He asked me if Father Brindle was helping me. | 他问我这个神父在帮助我 |
[13:20] | And you told him yes. | 而你给了他肯定的答复 |
[13:22] | I really thought he could help Arvin. | 我真的以为他能帮到Arvin |
[13:26] | Also… | 而且。。。 |
[13:27] | ATTORNEY: Also what? | 而且什么? |
[13:29] | Well, what the subsequent years | 呃,之后几年的治疗 |
[13:31] | of therapy have taught me, | 使我逐渐接受了这些 |
[13:34] | I was desperate to believe | 我非常想相信 |
[13:36] | that Father Brindle was a good man. | Brindle神父是个好人 |
[13:38] | And I was, perhaps, desperate | 而且我也许是非常想 |
[13:40] | to have my best friend, | 让我最好的朋友 |
[13:42] | the person who I trusted most, affirm this. | 让我最信任的人去证明这一点 |
[13:44] | It makes it sound like you were using | 这使人觉得你有点在利用你的朋友 |
[13:46] | your friend a little. | 这使人觉得你有点在利用你的朋友 |
[13:47] | Unconsciously, I suppose I was. | 我想我是在不知不觉中吧 |
[13:51] | But I did believe that he could help Arvin. | 但我真的相信他能帮助Arvin |
[13:55] | And I didn’t think that Father Brindle | 而且我没想到Brindle神父会猥亵他 |
[13:56] | would molest him. | 而且我没想到Brindle神父会猥亵他 |
[13:58] | I really thought that I was the lone target. | 我真的以为我是唯一的一个 |
[14:01] | And like Arvin, | 就像Arvin想的那样 |
[14:03] | I assumed it was all my fault. | 我觉得这都是我的错 |
[14:08] | Arvin, I am deeply, deeply sorry. | Arvin,我非常非常地抱歉 |
[14:09] | Objection. Objection. | – 反对 – 反对 |
[14:11] | Mr. Beck, I’ll ask you as well | Beck先生,我也要求你不要和对方说话 |
[14:13] | not to address the opposing party. | Beck先生,我也要求你不要和对方说话 |
[14:16] | That’s all I have. | 我问完了 |
[14:20] | Eugene… | |
[14:22] | be careful. | 小心些 |
[14:23] | The jury seems with him. | 陪审团好像相信他 |
[14:26] | YOUNG: First, Mr. Beck, | Beck先生,首先 |
[14:27] | if I may ask… | 如果可以的话 |
[14:30] | how did Father Brindle go about seducing you? | 我想问问Brindle神父是怎么引诱你的? |
[14:32] | It was almost exactly as Arvin described. | 几乎和Arvin描述的完全一样 |
[14:36] | So as I understand it, just like with Mr. Grayson, | 那么据我理解,就像对Grayson先生一样 |
[14:40] | he basically used a pretext of emotional counsel | 总的来说,他就是以情感治疗为借口 |
[14:44] | to eventually wind up next to you naked | 最终在沙发上光着身子躺在你身边 |
[14:47] | on the couch. | 最终在沙发上光着身子躺在你身边 |
[14:48] | Correct. | 对 |
[14:50] | YOUNG: Yet when your best friend | 然而你最好的朋友征求你的意见时 |
[14:51] | asked for your advice, | 然而你最好的朋友征求你的意见时 |
[14:53] | you recommended this priest for counseling. | 你还是建议他去找这个神父治疗 |
[14:55] | As I said, I didn’t think he’d be targeted. | 就像我说的,我没想到他会被当成猥亵的对象 |
[14:58] | YOUNG: But you knew the man targeted his patients. | 但你知道这个神父把他的病人当成猥亵对象 |
[15:00] | You’re simplifying it, Mr. Young. | 你把这问题看得太简单了,Young先生 |
[15:02] | Had you told anybody about your abuse? | 你对人说过你受到虐待的事吗? |
[15:05] | No. | 没有 |
[15:06] | That must have been hard, | 作为唯一一个受到猥亵的人 |
[15:08] | not being able to talk about it, | 且无法对别人倾诉 |
[15:09] | being the only one. | 这一定很难受吧 |
[15:12] | You have no idea. | 你体会不到的 |
[15:15] | YOUNG: I bet it would have been easier, | 如果还能找到至少另一个 |
[15:17] | had there been at least one other victim, | 可以向他倾诉的受害者 |
[15:18] | somebody to talk to. | 我敢肯定这样你会好受些吧 |
[15:22] | I didn’t send my best friend | 我没有把我最好的朋友 |
[15:23] | to a rapist so I’d have company. | 送给一个强奸犯好让我有个伴儿 |
[15:25] | You testified you were desperate for affirmation. | 你做证说你非常想得到证实 |
[15:27] | I didn’t do that. | 我没有那么做 |
[15:29] | Do you ever blame yourself, sir, | 先生,你对Arvin Grayson的遭遇 |
[15:30] | for what happened to Arvin Grayson? | 曾有过自责吗? |
[15:32] | Of course, I do. | 当然有过 |
[15:33] | A day doesn’t go by– | 没有一天不。。。 |
[15:41] | of course, I do. | 我当然,是自责的 |
[15:46] | Thank you, Mr. Beck. | 谢谢你,Beck先生 |
[15:58] | How’d it go? | 怎么样? |
[15:59] | Not bad. They upped the offer to 110, | 还不坏,他们开出的和解条件提高到11万了 |
[16:01] | so we must be doing something right. | 所以我们肯定是有些事做对了 |
[16:02] | Did you take it? | 你们接受了吗? |
[16:04] | The client turned it down. | 当事人拒绝了 |
[16:05] | What? Bobby… – Bobby。。。 | – 什么? |
[16:07] | You should have jammed it down the client’s throat. | 你们应该逼着当事人接受才是 |
[16:08] | The client was adamant. | 当事人的态度很坚决 |
[16:09] | DONNELL: I don’t care. | 我不在乎他怎么想 |
[16:11] | You guys are partners. | 你们俩是合伙人 |
[16:12] | You see the books. | 你们了解咱们的财务状况 |
[16:14] | We have to start exercising | 我们必须要开始对所接的案子 |
[16:15] | some discretion on the cases we take. | 做一些自主的裁量了 |
[16:17] | And we have to steer clients | 明摆着应该和解的时候 |
[16:19] | towards settlement when it’s indicated. | 我们必须要引导当事人去接受 |
[16:21] | Do I really need to tell you that? | 这还用我说吗? |
[16:44] | Ellenor asked me last night | Ellenor昨晚问我 |
[16:45] | why I seemed to be attacking you. | 为什么我像是冲你发火 |
[16:47] | I didn’t really think I was, | 我不太认为我那样做了 |
[16:49] | but the more I thought about it, | 但我想得越多 |
[16:52] | this case, | 这种情况下 |
[16:55] | it has made me angry at you, Bobby. | 就会让我越对你生气,Bobby |
[16:58] | Why? | 为什么? |
[17:00] | You’re not gonna like the answer any better than I do. | 你不会喜欢这个答案的 |
[17:03] | Why? | 说吧 |
[17:06] | You’re Catholic. | 你是天主教徒 |
[17:09] | There. | |
[17:10] | I said it. | 我说过了吧 |
[17:11] | Last thing I ever wanna believe | 我最不想相信的事就是我处事偏执,但。。。 |
[17:13] | is that I could be guilty of bigotry, but… | 我最不想相信的事就是我处事偏执,但。。。 |
[17:15] | it’s the Catholics | 是天主教徒们维持着教堂 |
[17:18] | keeping the church in business. | 是天主教徒们维持着教堂 |
[17:20] | People like you who make donations, | 像你一样去教堂捐款的人们 |
[17:22] | who go to the cathedrals, | 像你一样去教堂捐款的人们 |
[17:23] | and put the envelope in the offering plate. | 把装钱的信封放在供盘里 |
[17:26] | Those priests were protected. | 那些神父受到保护 |
[17:28] | They were given safe harbor, | 他们得到了避风港湾 |
[17:30] | allowed to go on raping kids | 可以继续强奸孩子们 |
[17:32] | because their crimes were kept secret | 是因为他们的罪行得以保密 |
[17:34] | as policy–as policy… | 是天主教会的 |
[17:37] | in the Catholic Church. | 处理原则。。。 |
[17:40] | I know that most priests are good, | 我知道大多数神父都很好 |
[17:41] | don’t get me wrong, but… | 别误会我的意思,但是。。。 |
[17:43] | what we’re talking about here | 我们现在谈到的问题 |
[17:44] | has been going on for 30, 40 years. | 已经持续了三四十年了 |
[17:46] | It’s been systemic. | 这是系统性的问题 |
[17:47] | And it’s not enough for the Catholic people to say, | 而这样还不足以使天主教徒们说 |
[17:50] | “Oh, isn’t that awful? And here’s my check.” | “噢,那不是很糟吗?但我还是要捐钱” |
[17:52] | And what do you propose we do, Eugene? | Eugene,那你建议我们该怎么做? |
[17:55] | Shut the church down. | 关闭教堂 |
[17:57] | Start a different institution of Catholic faith. | 建立一个不同的天主教信仰机制 |
[17:59] | Hell, I might join myself. | 我也许都会加入呢 |
[18:01] | I propose you stop | 我建议你停止 |
[18:02] | giving the current institution the money. | 给现在这个机制捐钱 |
[18:05] | I propose you be more angry. | 我建议你要对此多一些愤怒 |
[18:08] | Dozens of kids have been abused in this state alone. | 仅在这个州就有几十个孩子受到虐待 |
[18:10] | And the church knew it was going on, | 而教会知道这还在继续 |
[18:12] | did nothing about it, and let it continue. | 但毫无作为,任其继续下去 |
[18:18] | I propose you be as angry… | 我建议你像我一样对此愤怒。。。 |
[18:21] | as I am, | 我建议你像我一样对此愤怒。。。 |
[18:23] | and that you good Catholic people | 你们这些善良的天主教徒 |
[18:25] | stop giving the church the money. | 别再给教堂捐钱了 |
[18:32] | Bobby? | |
[18:33] | What’s wrong? | 出什么事了? |
[18:35] | Um, there’s been some shooting. | 发生枪击了 |
[18:37] | One of my clients. I couldn’t really follow, | 我的一个当事人,我弄不太清楚 |
[18:38] | but I can’t–I can’t go there. | 但我不能。。。我不能去那儿 |
[18:40] | Can you please go for me? | 你能替我去吗? |
[18:53] | Don’t tell me–your client? | 不会吧。。。是你的当事人? |
[18:55] | We think it might be Lindsay’s. | 我们觉得可能是Lindsay的 |
[18:56] | We don’t know which. | 我们不知道是哪一个 |
[18:59] | Well, dead one’s over here. | 唉,死的那个在这儿 |
[19:02] | Shooter’s in the bedroom. | 开枪的在卧室 |
[19:10] | STRINGER: That’s, um, Lindsay’s client. | 那是,嗯,Lindsay的当事人 |
[19:15] | So Louise… | 那Louise。。。 |
[19:16] | In her bedroom. | 在她的卧室里 |
[19:20] | I better go. | 我还是去看看吧 |
[19:27] | I’ll, uh– | 我,呃。。。 |
[19:30] | I’ll go in. | 我去吧 |
[19:35] | Talk time’s over, Mike. | 到此为止了,Mike |
[19:36] | She’s represented. | 她有律师了 |
[19:36] | By you? | 是你吗? |
[19:39] | Give us some privacy, will you? | 让我们单独谈谈,好吗? |
[19:49] | My name is Bobby Donnell. | 我叫Bobby Donnell |
[19:50] | I work with Jamie. | 我是Jamie的同事 |
[19:53] | First of all, | 首先 |
[19:55] | what did you just tell Detective McGuire? | 你和McGuire警探刚才说了什么? |
[20:00] | The truth. | 说的事实 |
[20:03] | He came in with a knife. | 他带着把刀进来 |
[20:07] | He was going to kill me. | 他要杀我 |
[20:10] | He said– | 他说。。。 |
[20:13] | he said he was going to stab me in the heart | 他说他要捅我的心, |
[20:17] | so I would know the feeling. | 所以我就会体会到那种感觉 |
[20:20] | He just kept saying it, | 他一直说着 |
[20:22] | “I’m gonna stab you in the heart.” | “我要捅你的心。” |
[20:27] | He came at me… | 他冲我。。。 |
[20:30] | and I shot him. | 我就朝他开枪了 |
[20:44] | DOLE: Did they arrest her? | 他们逮捕她了吗? |
[20:44] | Not yet. | 还没有 |
[20:45] | Could be justified self-defense. | 可能是正当自卫 |
[20:47] | She did call 911 when he first entered. | 他第一次进来时她报了警 |
[20:49] | Did he break in? STRINGER: No. | – 他闯进来的吗? – 不是 |
[20:51] | He let himself in with his own key. | 他用他自己的钥匙进来的 |
[20:54] | He also has two assault priors | 他还有两个袭击罪的前科 |
[20:56] | and a history of mental problems. | 还有精神病史 |
[20:57] | Did he ever indicate to you that… | 他有没有显露出要。。。 |
[20:59] | No. He never gave any indication | 没有,他从没有显露出有任何打算的迹象 |
[21:01] | that he was going to do anything. | 没有,他从没有显露出有任何打算的迹象 |
[21:04] | He was armed with a kitchen knife. | 他携带着一把厨刀 |
[21:05] | From whose kitchen? | 谁的厨房的? |
[21:06] | His. DONNELL: Okay. | – 他的 – 知道了 |
[21:08] | We’ll talk to her again. | 我们要再和她谈谈 |
[21:09] | If everything checks out, | 如果没有什么问题 |
[21:10] | we let her give a full statement. | 我们会让她做一个完整的陈述 |
[21:11] | In the meantime, let’s prepare | 同时,让我们 |
[21:12] | as if they’re going to charge. | 按他们要起诉的情况进行准备 |
[21:17] | If Walter Beck had simply told his friend | 如果Walter Beck直接告诉他的朋友 |
[21:20] | that Father Brindle was a rapist, | Brindle神父是个强奸犯 |
[21:23] | Arvin Grayson wouldn’t have been raped. | Arvin Grayson就不会遭到强奸 |
[21:27] | But Walter Beck, who was in the habit | 但一向对他最好的朋友无话不谈的Walter Beck |
[21:28] | of telling his best friend everything, | 但一向对他最好的朋友无话不谈的Walter Beck |
[21:31] | decided not to tell him this. | 却选择不告诉他这件事 |
[21:35] | Instead he just let him fall unknowingly | 相反地,他使他不知不觉地 |
[21:39] | into the hands of a depraved… | 落入一个道德沦丧的性罪犯手里。。。 |
[21:41] | sex offender. | 落入一个道德沦丧的性罪犯手里。。。 |
[21:43] | About 15 years ago, | 15年前 |
[21:45] | a bunch of bystanders at a bar | 酒吧里一群旁观者 |
[21:47] | did nothing… | 袖手旁观地看着。。。 |
[21:49] | while a woman was repeatedly | 一个女人 |
[21:50] | raped on a pool table. | 被摁在台球桌上轮奸 |
[21:52] | A few years after that, | 在那几年后 |
[21:54] | a little girl was murdered in a Las Vegas casino restroom | 一个小姑娘在拉斯维加斯赌场洗手间被谋杀 |
[21:58] | while the killer’s friend did nothing. | 凶手的朋友也坐视不理 |
[22:02] | The public became outraged, | 公众被激怒了 |
[22:05] | and things started to change. | 情况也开始发生改变 |
[22:07] | Laws started getting passed | 开始立法将 |
[22:09] | criminalizing bystander apathy. | 旁观者的冷漠定为犯罪 |
[22:13] | Doctors today have to report injuries | 现在医生们必须要 |
[22:16] | that they think are the results of crimes. | 将他们认为是因为犯罪行为导致的伤情上报 |
[22:18] | Witnesses to child abuse have to report it. | 有关虐童行为的证人也必须上报 |
[22:21] | We have laws now pending | 我们有即将通过的立法 |
[22:23] | saying people have to report foreigners | 规定人们必须将外国人学习飞行的行为进行上报 |
[22:25] | taking flying lessons. | 规定人们必须将外国人学习飞行的行为进行上报 |
[22:27] | We have got whistle-blowing laws | 我们为了防止股票欺诈 |
[22:29] | to prevent stock fraud, | 和商界腐败 |
[22:31] | corporate corruption, | 订立了检举法 |
[22:32] | because the law | 因为立法 |
[22:34] | is finally starting to catch up | 最终要达到我们道德感的水准 |
[22:36] | to our sense of morality, | 最终要达到我们道德感的水准 |
[22:39] | requiring people | 要求人们 |
[22:40] | to get the hell involved. | 切实参与进来 |
[22:45] | It’s also starting to catch up | 立法也开始要符合我们的现实环境了 |
[22:47] | to our sense of reality, | 立法也开始要符合我们的现实环境了 |
[22:50] | that unless we all become our brothers’ keepers, | 除非我们全都成为我们兄弟的守护者 |
[22:54] | we’re doomed. | 我们就注定毁灭了 |
[22:56] | Here, we’re not asking for Walter Beck | 此案中,我们并没有对Walter Beck有过分的要求 |
[22:59] | to have done all that much. | 此案中,我们并没有对Walter Beck有过分的要求 |
[23:01] | We’re not even asking him to help a stranger, | 我们甚至没有要求他去帮助一个陌生人 |
[23:03] | only his best friend. | 只是去帮他最好的朋友 |
[23:07] | If he could have said so much to Arvin Grayson as, | 如果他能对Arvin Grayson说 |
[23:11] | “Hey…be careful.” | “喂,小心点” |
[23:14] | Instead, he continued to endorse | 而不是继续为 |
[23:17] | this abusive priest | 这个他明知是强奸犯的虐待狂神父打包票 |
[23:19] | knowing he was a rapist. | 这个他明知是强奸犯的虐待狂神父打包票 |
[23:23] | He not only failed to prevent a crime, | 他不仅没能阻止犯罪 |
[23:27] | his silence, in fact, | 他的沉默,事实上 |
[23:29] | facilitated one, | 促成了 |
[23:30] | a horrible one. | 一起可怕的犯罪 |
[23:34] | To say that Walter Beck should bear | 说Walter Beck不应该在这件事上承担责任 |
[23:36] | no responsibility in this, | 说Walter Beck不应该在这件事上承担责任 |
[23:38] | that kind of thinking, | 那种想法 |
[23:40] | it takes us back 15 years, | 让我们倒退了15年 |
[23:43] | when it was okay to sit back and laugh | 那时候大家可以 |
[23:47] | while a woman got gang-raped on a pool table. | 漠然面对一个女人被摁在台球桌上轮奸 |
[23:55] | ATTORNEY: I agree with Ms. Frutt on this. | 我同意Frutt女士的观点 |
[23:58] | The world is changing. | 世界在变化 |
[24:00] | We’re seeing a rush of Chicken Little legislation, | 我们看到了一系列匆忙制定的法律 |
[24:03] | laws requiring everyone to run around | 法律要求每个人四处告发别人 |
[24:06] | telling on everybody else. | 法律要求每个人四处告发别人 |
[24:07] | We’re quickly becoming the telltale nation. | 我们很快就会成为一个告密者的国度了 |
[24:11] | But even should you wanna go | 但即使你打算去 |
[24:13] | where the law has not yet gone, | 一个还存在法律的地方 |
[24:16] | imposing a duty on one friend | 把帮助阻止某人被性骚扰的责任 |
[24:18] | to help prevent the molestation of another, | 强加给他的朋友 |
[24:21] | the molestation, at a minimum, | 至少这种性骚扰 |
[24:23] | would have to be foreseeable. | 应该是可以被预见到的 |
[24:26] | Here, it wasn’t. | 而本案,不是这样的 |
[24:28] | As Mr. Beck testified, | 正如Beck先生作证所言 |
[24:30] | he did not think | 他没有想到 |
[24:31] | Mr. Grayson would be victimized. | Grayson先生会受害 |
[24:34] | Should he have known? | 他应该知道吗? |
[24:36] | Should he have seen more clearly? | 他应该看得更清楚些吗? |
[24:39] | Are we going to start imposing | 我们还要把这种责任强加给他吗? |
[24:41] | that duty as well? | 我们还要把这种责任强加给他吗? |
[24:44] | Victims of sexual abuse | 应该要求性虐待的受害者 |
[24:46] | should be required to see and act clearly? | 要有清晰的判断和行动吗? |
[24:50] | Please. | 拜托 |
[24:52] | Privacy is rapidly being eroded | 在这个国家,隐私正迅速地被损害 |
[24:55] | in this country. | 在这个国家,隐私正迅速地遭到损害 |
[24:57] | Public fear is certainly winning out. | 民众的恐惧无疑要放在第一位 |
[25:01] | But today… | 但是今天。。。 |
[25:02] | you’re being asked to impose a duty | 却要求你们去迫使性侵受害者承担 |
[25:04] | on sexual-abuse victims to come forward | 站出来公开他自己遭遇的责任 |
[25:07] | and tell the world what has happened to them, | 站出来公开他自己遭遇的责任 |
[25:11] | or at least tell their best friends. | 或者至少是要向他最好的朋友坦承的责任 |
[25:17] | God help us. | 愿上帝保佑吧 |
[25:28] | So they’re not gonna file? | 那么说他们还没有起诉? |
[25:30] | They’re still investigating, | 他们还在调查中 |
[25:31] | but it doesn’t look like it. | 但看起来不像 |
[25:33] | How’s Jamie? | Jamie呢? |
[25:35] | She’s okay. | 她还好 |
[25:36] | She plunged into preparing | 为以防万一 |
[25:38] | a defense just in case. | 她正在全力做辩护的准备 |
[25:40] | So she’s occupying herself. | 她忙坏了 |
[25:42] | (sighs) | |
[25:43] | How are you? | 你呢? |
[25:44] | I’m okay. | 我没事 |
[25:47] | It’s a little too much déjà vu too early, I guess. | 我想这有点太过似曾相识了 |
[25:52] | How are you? | 那你呢? |
[25:54] | I’m fine. | 我挺好 |
[25:56] | You talk to Eugene again? | 你又和Eugene谈了? |
[26:00] | No. | 没有 |
[26:04] | Listen, when I told you what he said, | 当我告诉你他说了些什么时 |
[26:08] | you didn’t respond. | 你没有反应 |
[26:09] | Is that because you agree with him? | 是因为你同意他的说法吗? |
[26:14] | I don’t blame | 我不会 |
[26:16] | the Catholic people for abusive priests. | 因为有虐待狂神父而去责怪天主教徒 |
[26:18] | I certainly don’t blame you. | 我当然不会责怪你 |
[26:20] | But it seems like you’re withholding on the issue. | 但你好像是把想法压在心里 |
[26:23] | Are you? | 是吗? |
[26:25] | DOLE: No. | 不是 |
[26:25] | Are you? | 是吗? |
[26:27] | I don’t really want to talk about this now. | 我现在不太想谈这个 |
[26:29] | Lindsay, I’d like to talk about it now. | Lindsay,我现在想谈 |
[26:34] | Okay. | 那好吧 |
[26:38] | Every so often, you bring up | 你经常提起 |
[26:39] | how we haven’t christened Bobby Jr. yet, | 我们还没给小Bobby做洗礼呢 |
[26:42] | and we really need to do that, | 还说我们真的该做了 |
[26:43] | and I always find a way to deflect it. | 而我对此都是把话题移开 |
[26:51] | I’m just gonna say this. | 我要说的是 |
[26:54] | There’s no way I’m gonna let him be raised Catholic. | 我不可能让他成为天主教徒 |
[26:58] | It is not a faith or an ideology issue, | 这无关信仰或意识形态问题 |
[27:01] | but even with the remotest of possibilities | 但即使他落到 |
[27:04] | that he could fall into the hands | 一个坏神父手里的可能性极小 |
[27:05] | of the wrong priest– | 一个坏神父手里的可能性极小 |
[27:06] | That’s totally prejudiced. | 这完全是成见 |
[27:08] | I don’t deny it. | 我不否认是成见 |
[27:10] | But I would rather be a bigot than risk– | 但我宁愿做一个偏执狂也不愿冒着。。。 |
[27:12] | Let’s talk about other religions. | 让我们谈谈其他宗教 |
[27:14] | You don’t think a minister or a rabbi has ever– | 你不认为(基督教)牧师或(犹太教)拉比也曾。。。 |
[27:16] | Probably, but not as many as priests. | 有可能,但天主教神父更普遍些 |
[27:19] | Until you drop the celibacy thing, | 除非放弃独身 |
[27:21] | Catholic clergy– | 天主教神职人员。。。 |
[27:22] | I’m not gonna hear this. | 我不想听这些 |
[27:24] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[27:25] | I mean, I can’t believe you’d be guilty | 我是说,我简直不敢相信 |
[27:27] | of such blatant bigotry! | 你居然如此赤裸裸的偏执! |
[27:29] | I’m a mother, | 我是个母亲 |
[27:30] | and my son will never be walking | 我不会让我的儿子 |
[27:32] | into any confessional alone. | 单独进入任何忏悔室里 |
[27:34] | I know that’s a prejudice, | 我知道这是一种偏见 |
[27:35] | but the church has to accept some responsibility | 但教堂也必须要 |
[27:37] | for my bigotry as well. | 对我的偏见负一定的责任 |
[27:38] | Oh, really? Yes. | – 噢,真的吗? – 没错 |
[27:39] | When somebody walks through your door and says, | 当有人走上门来 |
[27:42] | “One of your priests raped me,” | “你的一个神父强奸了我” |
[27:44] | you don’t just reach for the phone | 你不能仅仅是抓起电话打给你的公关人员 |
[27:45] | and dial up your publicist. | 你不能仅仅是抓起电话打给你的公关人员 |
[27:57] | When did the jury go out? | 陪审团什么时候去商议的? |
[27:58] | About an hour ago. | 一个小时前 |
[27:59] | I don’t think we’re gonna hear anything today. | 我觉得今天不会有结果 |
[28:03] | I’m thinking we should see if that offer still stands. | 我正在考虑我们应该看看交易条件还是否有效 |
[28:04] | You closed well, Ellenor. | Ellenor,你的结案陈词做的不错 |
[28:07] | Zeus in heaven. | 天啊 |
[28:09] | Oh, my God. | 噢,上帝啊 |
[28:10] | I’ve been pulling up every case, | 我把所有的案子调了出来 |
[28:13] | every clipping I can | 尽可能调出来所有类似模式的案件剪报 |
[28:14] | with similar fact patterns | 尽可能调出来所有类似模式的案件剪报 |
[28:15] | to see if anybody anywhere used any new defenses on– | 想找到有什么人在什么地方用了新的辩护理由。。。 |
[28:21] | seven years ago in Denver, same thing. | 七年前在丹佛,同样的案情 |
[28:23] | A woman shot her ex-boyfriend | 一个女人枪杀了 |
[28:25] | trying to kill her with a knife. | 要用刀杀她的前男友 |
[28:27] | Exact same thing. | 完全一样 |
[28:29] | So what’s the problem? | 这有什么问题? |
[28:33] | STRINGER: Exact same woman. | 完全是同一个女人 |
[28:35] | What?! | 什么?! |
[28:36] | STRINGER: She had a different name, | 名字不一样 |
[28:37] | different Social Security Number, but that’s her! | 不同的社保号,但就是她! |
[28:39] | Well, was she charged? | 那么,她被起诉了吗? |
[28:41] | STRINGER: No. The police ruled it | 没有,警方认定是 |
[28:42] | justifiable self-defense. | 合理的正当防卫 |
[28:43] | She was so traumatized, according to this article, | 据这篇文章称,她受到了巨大的创伤 |
[28:45] | she left to start a new life. | 她去开始新的生活了 |
[28:46] | So she’s done this before. | 这么说她以前就这么干过 |
[28:48] | And not just once. | 还不止一次 |
[28:49] | Three years ago in Cleveland, | 三年前在克利夫兰 |
[28:50] | again a boyfriend, | 也是一个男友 |
[28:52] | again justified self-defense. | 也是合理的正当防卫 |
[28:54] | There’s no picture here but it quote, | 这里没有图片,但引用了 |
[28:56] | “He just came at me from nowhere, Zeus in heaven.” | “他不知打哪儿冲过来,天啊” |
[29:13] | WASHINGTON: What I don’t understand | 我不明白的是 |
[29:14] | is if you could pull this up in six hours, | 如果你能在六个小时里把这些查出来 |
[29:16] | why can’t the police? | 警察为什么不能? |
[29:17] | DONNELL: The police aren’t investigating. | 警察没进行调查 |
[29:19] | Both shootings were ruled justifiable. | 两起枪击案都认定为正当防卫 |
[29:21] | They’re not looking. | 他们不会注意的 |
[29:22] | Well, how many boyfriends does she have to kill | 那她要杀多少男朋友 |
[29:24] | before they get suspicious? | 才能让他们产生怀疑呀? |
[29:25] | The same woman didn’t do it, | 对警方而言,这都不是同一个身份的女人 |
[29:26] | as far as they know. | 对警方而言,这都不是同一个身份的女人 |
[29:27] | She’s had three different identities, | 她有三个不同的身份 |
[29:29] | which, by the way, is simple to do. | 顺便说一下,这很容易做到 |
[29:31] | HATCHER: So what do you do now | 那你现在要怎么做? |
[29:32] | besides not date her… | 我是说除了和她约会外。。。 |
[29:38] | Jamie. | |
[29:42] | Can I talk to you? | 我想和你谈谈 |
[29:43] | STRINGER: Sure. | 好的 |
[29:44] | Go in the conference room. | 去会议室吧 |
[29:46] | I’ll be right in. | 我这就来 |
[29:51] | What do I do? | 我该怎么做? |
[29:52] | We stick to this case. | 我们按规矩做这个案子 |
[29:53] | Why? | 为什么? |
[29:54] | DONNELL: Because what we don’t know | 因为如果她被起诉的话,Jamie |
[29:55] | could help us, Jamie, | 我们不知道那些事 |
[29:56] | should she ever get charged on this case. | 会对有利于我们的 |
[29:58] | Oh, come on. We know. | 噢,得了吧,我们是知道的 |
[29:59] | We saw the newspaper. | 我们看到了报纸上的新闻了 |
[30:00] | We saw a woman who looked like her, period. | 我们只是看到了一个长得像她的女人,就这些 |
[30:13] | So what’s happening? | 怎么回事? |
[30:14] | The police are still investigating. | 警方还在调查 |
[30:16] | We’re hoping they rule it justifiable. | 我们希望他们认定为正当防卫 |
[30:19] | Good. | 那就好 |
[30:21] | Listen, this whole thing | 听着,这件事 |
[30:23] | is obviously upsetting. | 显然是让人烦恼的 |
[30:26] | I can’t continue to live in that apartment. | 我不能再接着住在那间公寓里了 |
[30:29] | In fact, I’m thinking maybe it’s best | 实际上,我觉得 |
[30:32] | if I leave Boston altogether. | 最好干脆离开波士顿 |
[30:35] | I think maybe I should just try | 我觉得也许我应该 |
[30:36] | to start a new life somewhere, | 去别的什么地方开始新的生活 |
[30:39] | try to escape all this. | 避开所有这些 |
[30:40] | DONNELL: Certainly you don’t wanna leave | 你现在肯定不要 |
[30:41] | the jurisdiction now. | 打算离开这片辖区 |
[30:42] | The police would consider that suspicious. | 警方会对此产生怀疑的 |
[30:44] | After they decide not to charge you, | 他们决定不对你起诉后 |
[30:46] | that would be the time to think about leaving. | 可能才是考虑离开的时候 |
[30:48] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[30:50] | Yes, of course. | 对,当然应该这样 |
[30:52] | Zeus in heaven, | 天啊 |
[30:54] | I can’t even begin to think where I would even go. | 我甚至都无法考虑我能去哪儿 |
[30:56] | Denver’s nice. | 丹佛还不错 |
[30:59] | So is Cleveland. | 克利夫兰也行 |
[31:03] | Why did you say that? | 你为什么这么说? |
[31:04] | Oh, I visited Denver once. | 噢,我去过丹佛一次 |
[31:07] | It was beautiful. | 很美的地方 |
[31:08] | And who doesn’t love Cleveland? | 再说谁不喜欢克利夫兰呢? |
[31:11] | Listen, I’ve been talking | 听着,我已经和一些潜在的证人谈过了 |
[31:12] | to some potential character witnesses, | 听着,我已经和一些潜在的证人谈过了 |
[31:14] | and you’ve got plenty of support, by the way. | 顺便说一下,这些都对你很有利 |
[31:17] | But I found out | 但我发现 |
[31:18] | Albert actually broke up with you, | 实际上是Albert和你分手的 |
[31:21] | not the other way around. | 而不是你甩了他 |
[31:23] | I never said it was the other way around. | 我从来没说是我甩了他 |
[31:24] | Well, it’s just in characterizing him | 呃,说这个只是为了 |
[31:26] | as the jealous ex-boyfriend. | 把他描述成有嫉妒心的前男友 |
[31:29] | Uh, also, one of your lovers said | 噢,还有,你的一个情人说 |
[31:30] | that he got the idea | 他认为 |
[31:32] | that you were trying to make Albert jealous, | 你是努力想让Albert产生嫉妒心 |
[31:34] | you know, to punish him a little. | 就是说要给他一点惩罚 |
[31:36] | Would I be the first girlfriend to do that? | 我会是第一个这么做的女朋友吗? |
[31:40] | No, | 不 |
[31:41] | you wouldn’t. | 你不会是的 |
[31:47] | I expressly told you not to confront her! | 我明确告诉过你不要和她对质! |
[31:49] | I didn’t, I just– | 我没有,我就是。。。 |
[31:51] | “How about Denver or Cleveland?” | “丹佛或者克利夫兰如何?” |
[31:53] | What the hell was that?! | 这是什么鬼话呀?! |
[31:54] | That’s hardly confronting her. | 那谈不上和她对质 |
[31:56] | And the stuff about the witnesses | 而是一些和与本案有关证人的问题,Bobby |
[31:57] | was relevant to this case, Bobby. | 而是一些和与本案有关证人的问题,Bobby |
[31:59] | Don’t play games with me. | 别跟我耍把戏 |
[32:02] | You were fishing in waters I asked you not to. | 你在我叫你不要去的水域钓鱼 |
[32:04] | I threw out one little cast. | 我扔出去的只是一个小鱼钩 |
[32:06] | Don’t do it again. | 不许再做了 |
[32:08] | Do I make myself clear? | 你听明白了吗? |
[32:12] | Yes. | 明白了 |
[32:13] | There is a pecking order here, Jamie. | 这里是有权利等级的,Jamie |
[32:16] | Let’s not forget that. | 别忘了你算老几 |
[32:19] | I won’t. | 我不会的 |
[32:21] | DONNELL: She’s been hanging around Lucy too much. | 她在Lucy身边待得太久了 |
[32:22] | That’s her problem. | 那是她的问题 |
[32:23] | Picking up all that sassiness. | 那些恣意胡为的毛病都学会了 |
[32:25] | I think she’s still pushing to fit in. | 我想她还在努力适应 |
[32:27] | Fit in? She challenges us at every turn. | 适应?她每时每刻都在挑战我们 |
[32:29] | Do they teach that at Harvard now? | 现在在哈佛都教这些吗? |
[32:31] | Well, the last Harvard grad worked out. | 呃,上一个哈佛的毕业生 |
[32:34] | You married her. | 嫁给了你 |
[32:35] | That’s not gonna happen this time. | 这次不会这样了 |
[32:39] | Listen, Jimmy, uh… | 听我说,Jimmy,呃。。。 |
[32:42] | I do have something I want to talk to you about, | 我的确有件事想和你谈谈 |
[32:46] | Catholic to Catholic. | 天主教徒之间的 |
[32:51] | How are you handling this priest thing? | 你怎么看神父这件事? |
[32:55] | I don’t know. | 我说不清 |
[32:57] | Well, clearly, you’ve thought about it. | 说吧,你肯定是思考过这件事 |
[32:59] | Thought about it? | 思考过? |
[33:01] | Bobby, a lot of nights, | Bobby,有很多天晚上 |
[33:04] | I don’t sleep. | 我睡不着 |
[33:07] | I’m not an abstract thinker. | 我不是一个抽象的思想家 |
[33:09] | You know, when I think of God, | 当我想到上帝的时候 |
[33:12] | I kind of give him a human image, | 我把他想象成一个人类的形象 |
[33:15] | my priest. | 就是我的神父 |
[33:17] | In a way, he’s always represented | 在某种程度上,他总是代表着 |
[33:19] | the face of God to me. | 我心目中上帝的形象 |
[33:22] | So to think of priests | 所以想到神父们 |
[33:25] | doing what some of them did, | 其中有些做了那种事 |
[33:28] | it’s… | 真是。。。 |
[33:32] | Have you ever thought about… | 你有没有想过。。。 |
[33:35] | leaving the church over it? | 因此离开教会? |
[33:39] | No. | 不 |
[33:40] | That would be like leaving God. | 那就像离开上帝 |
[33:44] | Bobby, the church is not just the priests. | Bobby,教会并不仅仅有神父 |
[33:47] | It’s you and me. | 还有你和我 |
[33:49] | We are the church. | 我们就是教会 |
[33:51] | To leave would be like | 离开那儿就像 |
[33:53] | walking away from ourselves, | 离开我们自己 |
[33:55] | who we are, people of God. | 我们是谁,上帝的子民 |
[33:58] | But as people of God, how do we tolerate these… | 但作为上帝的子民,我们如何容忍这些… |
[34:02] | Look, the media has so overblown this. | 听着,媒体把这件事夸大了 |
[34:05] | They don’t talk about all the good | 他们不提教会做的所有的好事 |
[34:07] | the church does, | 他们不提教会做的所有的好事 |
[34:09] | and it’s a lot. | 而这是非常多的 |
[34:11] | Maybe he’s right. | 也许他是对的 |
[34:13] | Who? | 谁? |
[34:14] | Eugene. | |
[34:18] | There isn’t enough rage. | 愤怒还不够多 |
[34:35] | PENDER: All right, then. | 好吧,接下来 |
[34:36] | Mr. Foreman, I’ll ask you to rise | 陪审团主席先生,我请你 |
[34:37] | and read your verdict to the court. | 向法庭宣读你们的裁决 |
[34:42] | In the matter of Grayson versus Beck, | Grayson诉Beck一案 |
[34:45] | we the jury find in favor of the plaintiff, | 陪审团裁定原告胜诉 |
[34:48] | and we order the defendant to pay compensatory damages | 要求被告支付伤害赔偿 |
[34:50] | in the amount of $1.4 million. | 140万美金 |
[34:58] | PENDER: This trial is completed. | 本次审理结束 |
[35:00] | Members of the jury, your service is finished. | 陪审团成员们,你们尽到了义务 |
[35:03] | We thank you. | 谢谢你们 |
[35:05] | And this matter is adjourned. | 本案休庭 |
[35:12] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[35:14] | Thank you both. | 谢谢你们俩 |
[35:15] | Be prepared for an appeal, | 要准备应付上述 |
[35:18] | and it’s one we have to take very seriously. | 这是一个我们必须认真对待的问题 |
[35:20] | I know. | 我明白 |
[35:21] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 |
[35:23] | GRAYSON: Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[35:25] | Thanks again. | 再次感谢 |
[35:38] | Another? STRINGER: I think so, | – 又一起? – 我觉得是 |
[35:39] | Calgary, Alberta. | 加拿大阿尔伯塔省卡尔加里市 |
[35:40] | She lived there for a year after Denver. | 丹佛之后她在那里住了一年 |
[35:42] | That’s her. See? | 那就是她,看到了吗? |
[35:43] | And she shot yet another boyfriend? | 她又杀了另一个男朋友? |
[35:45] | All four had criminal records for assault, battery. | 这四个人都有人身伤害罪和殴打罪的记录 |
[35:48] | I think it’s a prerequisite for her. | 我想这是她选择的先决条件 |
[35:49] | Uh, it helps her justify her shootings. | 嗯,这有利于证明她开枪的正当性 |
[35:51] | And every time, she’s been cleared? | 每一次她都脱罪了? |
[35:53] | And then falls off the face of the earth. | 然后消失得无影无踪 |
[35:55] | Four victims. | 四个受害人 |
[35:56] | And counting. | 包括这一次 |
[35:58] | That was Helen Gamble’s office. | Helen Gamble办公室来的电话 |
[36:00] | It’s been ruled justifiable self-defense. | 认定是合理正当防卫 |
[36:01] | We have to tell them. | 我们得去告诉他们 |
[36:03] | Tell who? | 告诉谁? |
[36:04] | The police. | 警方 |
[36:05] | There are going to be more. | 还会有更多的 |
[36:06] | She’s serial! | 她是连环杀手! |
[36:07] | You want to lose your bar ticket? | 你想丢掉律师资格吗? |
[36:08] | So we say nothing? | 那我们什么都不说吗? |
[36:10] | We don’t tell anybody? | 我们谁也不能告诉吗? |
[36:14] | We won, $1.4 million. | 我们赢了,140万美金 |
[36:17] | What? | 什么? |
[36:18] | You won? | 你们赢了? |
[36:19] | The laws are changing, folks. | 法律在变,伙计们 |
[36:21] | We’re as shocked as you are. | 我们和你们一样感到震惊 |
[36:22] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你们 |
[36:25] | Really. | 真的 |
[36:27] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[36:29] | HATCHER: Uh, Eugene, this came for you. | 呃,Eugene,这是给你的 |
[36:31] | I did not accept service, but he left it anyway. | 我没有签收,但他反正还是留下了 |
[36:35] | What is it? | 这是什么? |
[36:36] | You know a Marshall Hatsburg? | 你认识一个叫Marshall Hatsburg的吗? |
[36:38] | Marshall, | |
[36:40] | yes, he worked at the church, too. | 对,他也在教堂工作 |
[36:43] | You and he were friends? | 你和他是朋友? |
[36:45] | Friendly, played basketball together, | 是友好,一起玩篮球的 |
[36:48] | but I wouldn’t say we were close, why? | 但我们算不上亲近,怎么了? |
[36:51] | He’s suing you. | 他要起诉你 |
[36:52] | What? | 什么? |
[36:53] | For not telling him about Father Brindle. | 因你没有把Brindle神父的事告诉他 |
[36:56] | Seems he was raped after you. | 看起来在你之后他也被强奸了 |
[37:15] | Louise? | |
[37:17] | Zeus in heaven, | 天啊 |
[37:19] | you startled me. | 你吓我一跳 |
[37:22] | Clearing out? | 收拾东西呢? |
[37:23] | Yes. | 对 |
[37:24] | Lucy called, | Lucy给我打了电话 |
[37:26] | told me the shooting was ruled justifiable. | 告诉我枪击被认定为正当的 |
[37:29] | So I thought I’d pack and go. | 所以我想收拾一下就走 |
[37:32] | The sooner, the better. | 越快越好 |
[37:34] | Where to? | 去哪儿? |
[37:36] | You know, I haven’t really decided yet. | 你知道的,我还没太想好呢 |
[37:39] | I’m gonna go see some friends, | 我打算去看些朋友 |
[37:41] | move around, | 四处转转 |
[37:42] | pick a place, I guess. | 选个地方吧 |
[37:45] | Any suggestions? | 有推荐吗? |
[37:46] | Well… | 呃。。。 |
[37:48] | after Denver and Cleveland, | 除了丹佛和克利夫兰 |
[37:51] | only leaves Calgary. | 就剩下卡尔加里了 |
[37:54] | Never been there. | 没去过那儿 |
[37:56] | Maybe I’ll try it. | 也许我会试试的 |
[38:03] | Why are you here, Jamie? | Jamie,你来这儿干嘛? |
[38:07] | Trying to get me to say something? | 想让我说点什么? |
[38:10] | It’s almost as if you think | 就像是你认为 |
[38:13] | I’m a killer or something. | 我是一个杀手似的 |
[38:17] | Of course, if you did think that, | 当然了,如果你这么想 |
[38:20] | I doubt you’d come here alone. | 我怀疑你会一个人来这里 |
[38:23] | That’d be dangerous. | 那太危险了 |
[38:28] | If you’ll excuse me now, | 如果现在你不介意 |
[38:31] | I need to finish packing. | 我要去收拾行李了 |
[39:11] | Bobby? | |
[39:15] | DONNELL: Hey, Father, | 嘿,神父 |
[39:18] | thanks for agreeing to meet me here. | 多谢你同意在这里见我 |
[39:19] | Oh, no problem. | 噢,没关系 |
[39:27] | I’m leaving the church, Father. | 我要离开教堂了,神父 |
[39:31] | Oh, uh, what do you mean? | 噢,哦,你是什么意思? |
[39:34] | Leaving the church? | 离开教堂? |
[39:36] | DONNELL: I have loved being a part of this parish, | 我很高兴成为这个教区的一员 |
[39:42] | and specifically, being your parishioner, | 尤其是,做为您的教民 |
[39:45] | but the sex-abuse scandal– | 但是性虐待丑闻。。。 |
[39:48] | Bobby, let’s sit down and talk. | Bobby,我们坐下来谈谈 |
[39:49] | What can you say, | 你能说什么呢 |
[39:51] | molestation gets a bad rap? | 性骚扰是无理的指责? |
[39:53] | I can say | 我可以说 |
[39:54] | that the offending clergy makes up | 有罪的神职人员 |
[39:57] | a microscopic portion of the priesthood. | 只占神父职位的极小部分 |
[40:00] | I know that, | 这个我知道 |
[40:02] | but the church’s concealment– | 但教会的隐瞒。。。 |
[40:05] | it’s enabling these priests | 使这些神父 |
[40:07] | to destroy so many young lives. | 去毁掉这么多年轻人的生活 |
[40:09] | We’ve made mistakes. | 我们是犯了错误 |
[40:12] | I believe that we’re acknowledging them. | 我相信我们在承认这一点 |
[40:14] | Our new policy is zero tolerance. | 我们新的政策是零容忍。 |
[40:16] | I know the litigation tactics being employed | 我知道针对受害者采取的诉讼策略 |
[40:18] | against the victims. | 我知道针对受害者采取的诉讼策略 |
[40:20] | I also know that– | 我还知道。。。 |
[40:24] | look… | 听我说。。。 |
[40:25] | this isn’t about vengeance. | 这和报复无关 |
[40:32] | Bobby… | |
[40:35] | when you have a crisis of conscience– | 当你遇到道德危机。。。 |
[40:37] | well, any personal crisis, | 或者任何个人危机 |
[40:39] | for that matter, where do you go? | 对此,你会去哪儿? |
[40:40] | I come to you. | 我来找您 |
[40:44] | But this isn’t about you or– | 但这与您无关。。。 |
[40:49] | I’m not leaving the faith. | 我不会放弃信仰的 |
[40:53] | Just the church. | 只是离开教堂 |
[40:55] | My son, | 我的孩子 |
[40:57] | when you leave the church, | 当你离开教堂时 |
[41:00] | you leave the faith. | 你也就放弃了信仰 |
[41:04] | Can I give you the speech | 我可以给你讲讲 |
[41:04] | about all of the good work | 我们所有已经做到的善举吗? |
[41:06] | that we’ve done? | 我们所有已经做到的善举吗? |
[41:07] | Do you have any notion | 你知道 |
[41:09] | of the global charitable work done | 由天主教会所做的全球慈善事业吗? |
[41:12] | by the Catholic Church? | 由天主教会所做的全球慈善事业吗? |
[41:13] | I do. | 我知道 |
[41:15] | But I don’t look to the church | 但我并不指望教会 |
[41:17] | like it’s the united way. | 想美国联合慈善总会一样 |
[41:20] | For me | 对我来说 |
[41:22] | it’s about spiritual and moral leadership. | 教会是关乎精神和道德的领导 |
[41:30] | Until you expel every offending priest, | 除非你驱逐所有有罪的神父 |
[41:35] | everyone involved | 驱逐每一个 |
[41:37] | with protecting them | 保护和隐藏他们的人 |
[41:39] | and concealing them, | 保护和隐藏他们的人 |
[41:41] | there’s been no true penance. | 没有真正的悔罪 |
[41:45] | When that day comes, I hope to return. | 到那一天,我希望能回来 |
[41:48] | Bobby, | |
[41:51] | you can’t just leave. | 你不能就这么离开 |
[42:04] | Goodbye, Father. | 再见,神父 |
[42:27] | BERLUTI: Next on The Practice. | 下集预告未作翻译 |
[42:28] | Why us? | |
[42:29] | MAN: Because Helen Gamble is a DA. | |
[42:31] | Also you’re on the short list of lawyers | |
[42:33] | willing to defend scum. | |
[42:34] | What’s the case? | |
[42:35] | Statutory rape. | |
[42:37] | I don’t want it. | |
[42:38] | I didn’t ask. | |
[42:39] | And you think to avoid a trial, | |
[42:40] | I’m going to put a child rapist back on the street. | |
[42:43] | We think we could sell minimum security. | |
[42:45] | And Mr. Orbis is going to a maximum security prison. | |
[42:48] | BERLUTI: There is a problem here. | |
[42:50] | We can win this. | |
[42:55] | (music playing) | |
[43:20] | WOMAN: You stinker! | |
[43:23] | (music playing) |