时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | WOMAN: Previously on “The Practice”… | 前集回顾未作翻译 |
[00:01] | YOUNG: Dozens of kids have been abused | |
[00:03] | in this state alone, | |
[00:04] | and the church knew what’s going on, | |
[00:06] | did nothing about it, | |
[00:08] | and let it continue. | |
[00:09] | And what do you propose we do, Eugene? | |
[00:11] | I propose you stop giving | |
[00:12] | the current institution the money. | |
[00:15] | I propose you be more angry. | |
[00:18] | DONNELL: Have you ever thought about | |
[00:20] | leaving the church over it? | |
[00:22] | Bobby, the church is not just the priests. | |
[00:25] | It’s you and me. | |
[00:27] | We are the church. | |
[00:28] | I’m leaving the church, Father. | |
[00:30] | Oh, uh, what do you mean? | |
[00:32] | The sex-abuse scandal– | |
[00:35] | The offending clergy makes up | |
[00:37] | a microscopic portion of the priesthood. | |
[00:39] | But the church is concealing it. | |
[00:42] | It’s enabling these priests | |
[00:44] | to destroy so many young lives. | |
[00:46] | You can’t… | |
[00:48] | just leave. | |
[00:50] | Goodbye, Father. | |
[00:58] | STANLEY: We’ve been doing it in this very church | 我们在这家教堂里做这事已经17年了,Ellenor |
[01:01] | for 17 years, Ellenor. | 我们在这家教堂里做这事已经17年了,Ellenor |
[01:04] | The problem is it made the news. | 问题是这事上了新闻 |
[01:05] | And it’s open season on aberrant religions. | 目前又是针对异教的言论开放时期 |
[01:08] | Our faith is partly Roman Catholic. | 我们的信仰一部分来自罗马天主教 |
[01:12] | It’s not nearly as aberrant as you’d like to– | 没有你想的那么异类。。。 |
[01:14] | Sacrificing animals is out there, Stanley. | Stanley,动物祭祀就是异类的 |
[01:17] | At least in the eyes of mainstream America. | 至少在美国主流眼里是这样看 |
[01:19] | Let’s just be clear about that. | 我们要弄清楚这一点 |
[01:20] | I was just saying that | 我说的只是 |
[01:23] | we all have our rituals. | 我们都有自己的仪式 |
[01:26] | Look at Christianity and communion. | 看看基督教和圣餐 |
[01:29] | They drink the blood of Christ | 他们喝基督的血 |
[01:31] | and they eat his body. | 他们吃掉了他的身体 |
[01:32] | That’s symbolic. | 可那是象征性的 |
[01:34] | You actually kill the animal. | 你们则是真正地杀了动物 |
[01:36] | I don’t understand. | 我不理解 |
[01:37] | The exact same issue | 完全相同的问题 |
[01:39] | the Supreme Court already ruled on,and we won. | 最高法院已经裁定我们赢了 |
[01:41] | The difference here | 不同点在于 |
[01:44] | is the law is facially neutral. | 法律是不歧视特定群体的 |
[01:45] | It’s not targeted at religion, | 这不是针对宗教 |
[01:47] | but only to stop cruelty. | 只是为了阻止暴行 |
[01:49] | Even so, we– Look, | – 即便如此,我们。。。 – 听着 |
[01:51] | I think we should consider a plea. | 我认为应该考虑认罪 |
[01:54] | Fine. I’ll admit to the facts. | 那好,我承认这些事实 |
[01:56] | I did what they say I did. | 我照他们说的做了 |
[01:58] | But I will not stand up in a court of law | 但我不会站在法庭上 |
[02:02] | and acknowledge any form of guilt. | 承认任何形式的罪行 |
[02:04] | That’s not gonna do it. | 那没戏 |
[02:05] | Public opinion is very against you here. | 公众舆论对你很不利 |
[02:09] | Well, if I say I’m guilty, | 可我如果说自己有罪 |
[02:12] | it’s the equivalent of apologizing | 这等于是因为我的宗教而谢罪 |
[02:13] | for my religion. | 这等于是因为我的宗教而谢罪 |
[02:15] | Add to that, | 况且 |
[02:16] | they can shut our doors. | 他们能让我停业 |
[02:19] | We need a victory here, Ellenor. | 我需要打赢官司,Ellenor |
[02:22] | I can’t promise it. | 我保证不了 |
[02:24] | It’s a goat, for God’s sake. | 就一只羊而已,看在上帝的份上 |
[02:26] | They’re gonna put me in jail for killing a goat. | 他们会因为我杀了一只山羊而把我关进监狱 |
[02:29] | That’s what I’m telling you. | 这就是我要告诉你的 |
[02:31] | They will. | 他们会的 |
[03:26] | YOUNG: He’s insisting on trial? | 他坚持要上庭? |
[03:28] | I tried to dissuade him, trust me. | 相信我,我尽力劝过他了 |
[03:31] | Are you free in case, I need some research? | 你有空吗,我需要你帮着做些研究? |
[03:32] | I’m free. | 我有空 |
[03:33] | FRUTT: Free exercise clause. | 宗教活动自由条款 |
[03:34] | DONNELL: Why do we seem to be getting | 为什么我们看起来 |
[03:35] | so many cases about religion? | 接了那么多有关宗教的案子? |
[03:37] | Hey, if I could make this about religion, we’d win. | 哎,如果我们使这个案子跟宗教有关,我们可能就赢了 |
[03:40] | Unfortunately, the statute goes to cruelty, | 不幸的是,法规追究是暴行 |
[03:42] | and the language is neutral. | 法规的描述也与政治宗教无关 |
[03:43] | What about de facto of burden? | 那举证责任呢? |
[03:45] | FRUTT: That’s possible for appeal, but– | 上诉时也许有用,但是。。。 |
[03:47] | Bobby, Judge Swackheim’s office. | Bobby,Swackheim法官的办公室来电 |
[03:50] | You’re wanted now. | 要你现在去 |
[03:51] | What do you mean? | 什么意思? |
[03:53] | He wants you in chambers. | 他要你去他办公室 |
[03:55] | He says to bring a friend. | 他说带个朋友来 |
[03:59] | His lawyer fell out, | 他和他的律师闹翻了 |
[04:01] | the case has already been continued six times, | 这个案子已经延期了六次了 |
[04:03] | and I’ll be dead soon. | 我实在等不及了 |
[04:05] | Why us? | 为什么找我们? |
[04:06] | Helen gamble is the D. A., | Helen gamble作为控方 |
[04:08] | and you’ve had experience against her. | 而你对付她有一套 |
[04:10] | Also, you’re on the short list of lawyers | 而且,你们在我那为数不多的 |
[04:12] | willing to defend scum. | 愿意替人渣辩护的律师名单上 |
[04:13] | Meet with your client, | 去见你的当事人吧 |
[04:15] | and I’ll see you in the courtroom tomorrow. | 明天就开庭了 |
[04:17] | What’s the case? | 什么案子? |
[04:18] | Statutory rape. | 法定强奸罪 (与未成年人发生性关系,不管对方是否同意,均属于犯罪) |
[04:19] | I don’t want it. | 我不想做 |
[04:20] | I didn’t ask. | 我不是在请求你 |
[04:22] | 10:00 tomorrow morning. | 明早十点 |
[04:24] | And the court thanks you both. | 法庭感谢你们二位 |
[04:30] | You were doing a news piece? | 你是在做一个新闻报道吗? |
[04:32] | DANFORTH: Yes. We heard what was going on, | 对,我们对这事有所耳闻 |
[04:33] | and we were able to sneak in a camera. | 我们能用摄像机偷偷录下来 |
[04:35] | BRENNER: Mr. Danforth, could you tell the court | Danforth学生,你能告诉法庭你所看到的吗? |
[04:37] | exactly what you observed? | Danforth学生,你能告诉法庭你所看到的吗? |
[04:39] | We saw that man, the defendant, | 我们看到那个人,就是被告 |
[04:41] | kill a baby goat. | 杀了一只羊羔 |
[04:44] | He basically slaughtered it. | 可以说就是屠杀 |
[04:45] | BRENNER: Okay, I’m going to play a portion | 那好,我要当庭播放这则新闻的片段 |
[04:47] | of this news piece. | 那好,我要当庭播放这则新闻的片段 |
[04:48] | Objection. | 反对 |
[04:49] | Overruled. | 反对被驳回 |
[04:51] | BRENNER: And I’m going to ask you, sir, | 我还要问你,先生 |
[04:52] | if it fairly reflects what you saw that day. | 是否这客观地反映出你那天所看到的 |
[04:54] | Your Honor, I renew my objection. | 法官大人,我重审我的反对意见 |
[04:56] | Counsel– FRUTT: We have stipulated | – 律师。。。 – 我们已经明确认可了 |
[04:57] | that my client causes animals | 我的当事人造成了一些动物 |
[04:59] | to be sacrificed as part of religious worship. | 被用于宗教仪式的祭祀 |
[05:03] | This tape is only being introduced | 引入这个录像只是为了激怒陪审团 |
[05:04] | to inflame the jury. | 引入这个录像只是为了激怒陪审团 |
[05:05] | BRENNER: The charge isn’t simply killing. | 指控的罪名不是普通的宰杀 |
[05:07] | It’s cruelty. In order to make that finding– | 而是残忍的行为,为了让这个。。。 |
[05:10] | FRUTT: Then let him describe what he saw. | 那就让他描述一下他的所见 |
[05:11] | We don’t need to see his media-slanted version of it. | 我们不必要去看他对此事的媒体歪曲版本 |
[05:14] | Miss Frutt, I think we can handle the footage. | Frutt女士,我认为我们可以妥善应对这些镜头片段 |
[05:16] | If you think it doesn’t accurately portray the events, | 如果你觉得那不能准确地描述事件的话 |
[05:19] | you can cross-examine. | 你可以进行交叉盘问 |
[05:21] | BRENNER: Thank you, Your Honor. | 谢谢你,法官大人 |
[05:27] | Okay, you can see he has a… | 你们可以看到他。。。 |
[05:30] | baby goat in his hands. | 用手抓着羊羔 |
[05:33] | And it’s alive. | 它还活着 |
[05:34] | Not for long it isn’t. | 但活不了多久 |
[05:36] | Keep watching. | 接着看 |
[05:46] | And what’s he doing now? | 他现在在干嘛? |
[05:48] | DANFORTH: He’s letting the blood drain into a bowl. | 他让血滴到碗里 |
[05:51] | It’s pretty disgusting. | 这太令人厌恶了 |
[05:52] | Objection. | 反对 |
[05:53] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[05:55] | BRENNER: That’s all I have. | 我没有要问的了 |
[05:59] | I saw your news piece. | 我看了你的新闻报道 |
[06:01] | You seem pretty outraged, Mr. Danforth. | 你似乎非常愤怒,Danforth |
[06:03] | DANFORTH: I was. I found what your client did | 的确是,我发现你当事人的所为 |
[06:05] | to be outrageous. | 太令人发指了 |
[06:07] | FRUTT: I see. Do you eat meat? | 我明白了,那你吃肉吗? |
[06:09] | Do I eat meat? | 我吃肉吗? |
[06:10] | Yes, ever have a hamburger? | 对,吃过汉堡吗? |
[06:12] | Yes, I eat meat. | 是,我吃肉 |
[06:13] | Do you know how cows are killed? | 你知道怎么杀牛吗? |
[06:15] | I believe they’re slaughtered. | 我认为他们是被宰杀的 |
[06:17] | Would it surprise you to know | 如果你知道它们被割断喉管 |
[06:18] | that their throats are slit, | 和这只山羊死的方式一样 |
[06:20] | much in the same way as this goat died? | 你会感到惊讶吗? |
[06:22] | DANFORTH: I’m not a fan of slaughterhouses, | 我对屠宰场不感兴趣 |
[06:23] | but at least the animal was killed for sustenance. | 但至少那些动物被杀是为了作为食物 |
[06:26] | We eat cows. | 我们要吃牛肉的 |
[06:28] | So it’s not the manner in which the animal is killed, | 这么说,这与动物被杀的方式无关 |
[06:31] | but it’s what it’s killed for? | 只是和被杀的目的有关是吗? |
[06:33] | Look, I’m not going down this road. | 听着,我不跟你扯这些 |
[06:35] | I just filmed it. | 我只是把这事录下来了 |
[06:37] | It’s up to you people to decide if it’s illegal. | 由你们来决定这是不是违法的 |
[06:39] | FRUTT: Fair enough. | 说得在理 |
[06:40] | By the way, | 顺便问一下 |
[06:42] | do you know what became of the goat | 你知道在仪式之后 |
[06:44] | after the ceremony? | 那只羊羔怎么处理了吗? |
[06:45] | No, I do not. | 我不知道 |
[06:47] | They ate it. | 他们把它吃了 |
[06:49] | Does that make a difference? | 这有什么区别吗? |
[06:54] | MITCHELL: I didn’t force him. | 我没强迫他 |
[06:56] | I never forced him. | 我绝对没强迫他 |
[06:58] | DONNELL: Mr. Orbis, | Orbis先生 |
[06:59] | he’s 13 years old. | 他才13岁 |
[07:01] | Whether you forced him or not– | 不管你强迫与否。。。 |
[07:03] | We were very close. | 我们关系很紧密 |
[07:04] | That’s not a defense, either. | 那也不是理由 |
[07:06] | See, I was good to him, | 要知道,我对他很好 |
[07:08] | uh, very good. | 呃,非常好 |
[07:09] | I’d help him with his homework | 我帮他做作业 |
[07:11] | and, uh, | 还有,呃 |
[07:12] | I gave him money. | 我给他钱 |
[07:14] | In exchange for sex? | 换取性关系? |
[07:15] | No, | 不 |
[07:17] | he did work at my house. | 他在我家做些工 |
[07:20] | He’d help clean. | 帮我做清洁 |
[07:22] | And we became close. | 于是我们关系就变得亲近了 |
[07:27] | I loved him. | 我喜欢他 |
[07:29] | And he loved me. | 他也喜欢我 |
[07:33] | He still loves me. | 他仍然喜欢我的 |
[07:35] | I know. | 我知道的 |
[07:37] | BERLUTI: He’s the lead prosecutorial witness. | 可他是最重要的控方证人 |
[07:39] | He’s only doing this now | 他现在这样做 |
[07:40] | because his mother is making him. | 是因为他妈妈逼的 |
[07:43] | She told him he can’t come over anymore. | 她告诉他再不要去找我了 |
[07:46] | She’s making him do this. | 她逼他这么做的 |
[07:49] | I love him, | 我喜欢他 |
[07:50] | and I believe… | 而且我相信 |
[07:52] | he loves me. | 他也喜欢我 |
[07:55] | It’s his mother. | 全怪他妈妈 |
[07:57] | Did your other lawyers ever discuss a plea bargain? | 别的律师和你讨论过认罪协议吗? |
[08:00] | I can’t do prison. | 我不能坐牢 |
[08:04] | They kill child molesters in prison. | 在监狱里猥亵儿童的人活不了的 |
[08:05] | Prison is unacceptable. | 坐牢不能接受 |
[08:09] | I’m telling you, | 我告诉你 |
[08:11] | it’s the mother. | 都怪他妈妈 |
[08:17] | Contact the kid’s school, | 联系孩子的学校 |
[08:19] | teachers, principal, guidance counselor. | 教师、校长、辅导员 |
[08:20] | I’ll try to interview the social worker. | 我会去和社工谈谈 |
[08:25] | Who do you want, | 你选哪个 |
[08:27] | the mother or the boy? | 那母亲还是那个孩子? |
[08:29] | Sorry? DONNELL: This case | – 你说什么? – 这个案子 |
[08:30] | is pretty much two witnesses, | 也就两个证人 |
[08:32] | the mother and the victim. Which one do you want? | 母亲和受害人,你想负责交叉盘问哪个? |
[08:34] | Personally, I think it’s a mistake | 个人意见,我认为对于当事人来说 |
[08:36] | for the client to go in with two lawyers. | 要两个律师出庭是个错误 |
[08:38] | Makes it seem– Nice try, | – 这会显得。。。 – 别扯了 |
[08:40] | but since this goes tomorrow, there’s no time. | 明天就要开庭了,没时间了 |
[08:42] | We gotta split this up. | 我们得分工 |
[08:44] | Who do you want? | 你选哪个? |
[08:45] | I’ll take the mother. | 我选那个母亲吧 |
[08:47] | Great. | 那好 |
[08:49] | Our pedophile has two priors. | 我们的恋童癖当事人有两个前科 |
[08:51] | Did you know that? | 你知道吗? |
[08:52] | He’s sick. | 他是个变态 |
[08:53] | What’s your point? | 你什么意见? |
[08:55] | My point is, | 我的意见是 |
[08:57] | how effective can we really be expected to be | 提前一天才通知我们,能指望我们办成什么样呢? |
[08:59] | on one day’s notice? | 提前一天才通知我们,能指望我们办成什么样呢? |
[09:00] | I don’t wanna hear that. | 我不想听这些 |
[09:02] | We do our best. | 我们尽力而为吧 |
[09:04] | Fine. | 行吧 |
[09:06] | There is a problem here. | 困扰我的问题是 |
[09:09] | We can win this. | 这案子我们能赢 |
[09:19] | He was starting to go down in school, | 他在学校里成绩开始下降 |
[09:21] | which I couldn’t understand, | 我不能理解为什么 |
[09:23] | because he’s always been a good student. | 因为他一直都是个好学生 |
[09:25] | Well, did you talk to your son about this? | 那你和你儿子谈过这些事吗? |
[09:27] | LANGER: Yes. | 谈过 |
[09:28] | He said there was nothing wrong. | 他说没什么问题 |
[09:31] | I said I thought he was spending too much time with him. | 我说我认为他和他呆在一起的时间太长了 |
[09:33] | “Him”? | “他”? |
[09:34] | The defendant. | 就是被告 |
[09:35] | He hired Justin to do some yard work, | 他雇Justin帮他收拾院子 |
[09:39] | then they became friends. | 然后他们就成朋友了 |
[09:41] | He was over there all the time, it seemed. | 似乎他总是在那儿 |
[09:43] | GAMBLE: Did you suspect anything sinister | 对于他们的关系,你有过些不祥的疑虑吗? |
[09:45] | about this relationship? | 对于他们的关系,你有过些不祥的疑虑吗? |
[09:47] | LANGER: No. I had no idea | 没有,我不知道 |
[09:49] | that he had this porno-film collection | 他收藏了那些色情电影 |
[09:51] | or that previously, he– | 或者在之前,他。。。 |
[09:52] | Could you tell us what happened to your son? | 你能告诉我们你儿子的遭遇吗? |
[09:55] | LANGER: Well, with his grades getting worse, | 随着他的成绩越来越差 |
[09:57] | I grounded him. | 我把他禁足了 |
[09:59] | I told him he had to come home directly after school. | 我告诉他放学后必须直接回家 |
[10:01] | May I ask, | 请允许我问一下 |
[10:04] | where was Justin’s father? | Justin的父亲呢? |
[10:05] | We’ve split up, and he doesn’t– | 我们分手了,他没有。。。 |
[10:09] | uh, he’s an absent father, | 哦,他没有父亲 |
[10:11] | which is another reason why I thought | 我想这也是我为什么认为 |
[10:13] | he bonded with the defendant. | 他和被告关系密切的原因 |
[10:17] | What happened after you grounded Justin? | 你对Justin禁足之后呢? |
[10:20] | Well, I didn’t see any improvement at school, | 我没有看到他成绩转好 |
[10:23] | so I started to give him other consequences, | 所以我开始对他采取了别的措施 |
[10:25] | like no baseball, no television. | 比如不让玩棒球,不让看电视 |
[10:28] | I even took away his stereo. | 我甚至拿走了他的音响 |
[10:31] | Nothing seemed to work. | 似乎都没效 |
[10:32] | And then finally, | 最终 |
[10:36] | he told me what was going on. | 他告诉我怎么回事 |
[10:37] | Which was? | 怎么回事? |
[10:38] | He told me | 他跟我说 |
[10:40] | that he was having sex | 他和被告 |
[10:43] | with the defendant. | 发生了性关系 |
[10:45] | And that he was | 他感到 |
[10:46] | feeling shame over it, | 羞耻 |
[10:48] | and that he was having trouble sleeping. | 他睡不着觉 |
[10:50] | And what did you do? | 你做了什么? |
[10:52] | I notified the police. | 我通知了警察 |
[10:55] | I called the police. | 我报了警 |
[10:58] | Actually, you waited two days | 实际上,你是等了两天 |
[11:01] | to call the police, didn’t you, ma’am? | 才报的警,不是吗,夫人? |
[11:02] | Yes. BERLUTI: Your son tells you | – 是的 – 你的儿子告诉你 |
[11:05] | he’s raped, | 他被强奸了 |
[11:06] | you don’t call for two days? | 你两天才去报案? |
[11:07] | LANGER: At first, I just– I couldn’t believe it. | 起初,我只是。。。我不敢相信 |
[11:10] | I thought maybe he was trying to… | 我以为他想。。。 |
[11:12] | escape punishment, or– | 逃避惩罚,或者。。。 |
[11:14] | You thought he was making it up. | 你以为他编的 |
[11:16] | I was just so stunned at first. | 一开始我真是惊呆了 |
[11:19] | I couldn’t believe it. | 我简直不敢相信 |
[11:20] | I guess I was– | 我想我是。。。 |
[11:21] | I was desperate not to believe it. | 我非常不想相信这事 |
[11:23] | But once it sank in that it was true, | 但当我完全了解那是真的时 |
[11:25] | I called the police. | 我就报警了 |
[11:26] | You mentioned your son wanting to escape punishment. | 你提到你儿子想逃避惩罚 |
[11:30] | You mean being grounded, | 你是指被禁足 |
[11:31] | missing baseball, that sort of thing? | 不能玩棒球之类的事吗? |
[11:33] | Yes. How about you hitting him? | – 对 – 那你打了他吗? |
[11:36] | You ever hit your son, Mrs. Langer? | 你打过你儿子吗,Langer夫人 |
[11:37] | Objection. Where is this going? | – 反对 – 你这是要说明什么? |
[11:39] | BERLUTI: Your Honor, sometimes kids will say anything | 法官大人,有时候小孩为了让家长停止揍他 |
[11:41] | to make the beatings stop. I did not beat him! | – 会随便乱说些什么 – 我没有打他 |
[11:43] | GAMBLE: Objection. Move to strike. | 反对,要求对此不予记录 |
[11:44] | Short leash. Speed it up. | 赶紧问吧,但别胡来 |
[11:46] | Did you ever hit your son, Mrs. Langer? | 你打过你儿子吗,Langer夫人? |
[11:48] | I spanked him sometimes. | 我打过他几次屁股 |
[11:51] | I did not beat him. | 但没有真揍过他 |
[11:52] | BERLUTI: Did you spank him on account | 你打他屁股 |
[11:53] | of his grades going down? | 是因为他的成绩下降吗? |
[11:54] | I spanked him once or twice. | 我打过他一两次屁股 |
[11:56] | They were not beatings, | 那不算真揍 |
[11:57] | and I certainly never hurt him. | 我当然不会伤害他 |
[11:59] | BERLUTI: Did you ever hit your son for using drugs? | 你因为你儿子吸毒而揍过他吗? |
[12:01] | He once used marijuana | 他有一次吸了大麻 |
[12:03] | that your client gave him, | 是你的当事人给他的 |
[12:04] | and, yes, I spanked him. | 对,我打了他屁股 |
[12:06] | BERLUTI: Do you work, Mrs. Langer? | 你有工作吗,Langer夫人? |
[12:09] | Yes. What do you do for work? | – 对 – 你做什么工作? |
[12:11] | I’m a waitress in a restaurant. | 我是餐厅的女服务员 |
[12:12] | Could you tell me your hours? | 你能说一下你的工作时间吗? |
[12:13] | 3:00 to 11:00. | 三点到十一点 |
[12:15] | 3:00 in the afternoon till 11:00 at night? | 下午三点到晚上十一点对吗? |
[12:17] | Yes. | 对 |
[12:17] | BERLUTI: Weekdays? LANGER: Yes. | – 周一到周五吗? – 对 |
[12:19] | When does your son get home from school? | 你儿子什么时候放学回家? |
[12:21] | Between 2:00 and 3:00. | 两点到三点之间 |
[12:22] | Wow. So, you barely see him during the week. | 哇,这么说,一周里你几乎看不到他 |
[12:26] | Possible, he could’ve made this story up | 有没有可能,他编了这个故事 |
[12:29] | to get your attention? | 想得到你的关心? |
[12:30] | No. | 不是 |
[12:31] | That is not possible. | 没有这种可能 |
[12:33] | Ever know your son to tell you things that maybe weren’t true? | 你曾发现你的儿子跟你说过假话吗? |
[12:35] | No. | 没有过 |
[12:37] | Your son always speaks the truth? | 你儿子总是说真话? |
[12:39] | Yes. He is a truthful person. | 对,他是个诚实的人 |
[12:41] | Yes, he is. | 嗯,他是 |
[12:42] | BERLUTI: And yet, when he tells you he was raped, | 但是当他告诉你他被强奸了 |
[12:45] | you don’t call the police for two days? | 你却等了两天才报警? |
[13:12] | Good job. | 干得不错 |
[13:15] | Bobby, what are we doing here? | Bobby,我们这是在干什么呀? |
[13:29] | It’s basically a traditional African religion | 这基本上是一种非洲的传统宗教 |
[13:32] | with elements of Roman Catholicism. | 带有罗马天主教的元素 |
[13:34] | But the reason we’re all here | 而我们大家来到法庭 |
[13:36] | is because of one particular ritual. | 就是因为一个特殊的仪式 |
[13:38] | Yes. FRUTT: Can you tell the jury | – 对 – 你可以告诉陪审团 |
[13:41] | why sacrifice animals? | 为什么要动物祭祀吗? |
[13:43] | It’s a way of honoring The Orisha, | 这是一种崇拜Orisha众神的方式 |
[13:45] | which literally means “head guardian.” | 字面的意思是“最高守护者” |
[13:48] | In simplest terms, | 简而言之 |
[13:50] | the animal’s blood is offered. | 动物献出了血 |
[13:52] | The sacrifice | 这种祭献 |
[13:54] | is said to please the saints | 据说是为了取悦圣徒 |
[13:55] | and bring purification | 带来对罪恶的净化和宽恕 |
[13:57] | and forgiveness of sins. | 带来对罪恶的净化和宽恕 |
[13:58] | You have to acknowledge, Mr. Joley, | 你得承认,Joley先生 |
[14:01] | this does seem a little barbaric. | 这似乎有些野蛮 |
[14:03] | We know that American culture rejects it, | 我们明白美国文化对此是不接受的 |
[14:06] | and we therefore try to be | 因为我们尽可能 |
[14:07] | as discrete as possible, even secretive. | 与之分离地甚至是秘密地进行仪式 |
[14:09] | We’ve never tried to impose our rituals | 我们从来没有要把我们的仪式或信仰 |
[14:11] | or beliefs upon the public. | 强加给公众 |
[14:13] | And, in fact, the only reason we’re here today | 而且,实际上,我们今天来到法庭的唯一原因 |
[14:16] | is because the media invaded us. | 是媒体侵扰了我们 |
[14:18] | Does the animal suffer? | 那这些动物遭受到痛苦吗? |
[14:20] | The sacrifice is almost always quick, | 祭献总是很迅速的 |
[14:23] | and as humane as possible. | 尽可能的人道 |
[14:25] | BRENNER: So, it’s your testimony that | 那么,你是作证说 |
[14:27] | what we all saw on the television screen, | 我们在电视上所看到的 |
[14:29] | in your eyes, | 在你看来 |
[14:30] | there was no animal cruelty. | 并不是虐待动物的行为 |
[14:31] | We try to be as humane as possible. | 我们尽量做到人道 |
[14:34] | BRENNER: And you do that with lambs, | 那你们祭献是用羔羊 |
[14:37] | goats, turtles, | 山羊,龟 |
[14:38] | guinea pigs, sheep, | 豚鼠,绵羊 |
[14:40] | all those animals. | 所有这些动物 |
[14:41] | You slit their throats | 你们割开他们的喉管 |
[14:42] | and offer the blood to your saints? | 再把血献给你的圣徒们吗? |
[14:44] | Yes. | 对 |
[14:47] | He did well, considering. | 他表现不错,还算周全 |
[14:50] | But? FRUTT: But… | – 然而? – 然而。。。 |
[14:52] | he couldn’t undo that videotape, Eugene. | 他无法使那段录像失去作用,Eugene |
[14:54] | How could he? That footage? | 他怎么可能做到呢?那段镜头? |
[14:56] | That’s what the jury’s gonna take back to that room, | 陪审团会在合议的时候考虑到这些的 |
[14:58] | that squealing goat. | 那只尖叫的山羊 |
[14:59] | Well, Ellenor, if it’s a tale of the tape, | 那好,Ellenor,如果事关那盘录像带的话 |
[15:02] | then get yourself some tape. | 那你就自己也找些录像带来 |
[15:03] | What do you mean? YOUNG: I mean, | – 你什么意思? – 我是说 |
[15:05] | this is America. | 这是在美国 |
[15:07] | You think Santerians are the only ones to kill animals? | 你以为只有Santerians人杀动物吗? |
[15:17] | Don’t even waste your breath. | 别白费唇舌了 |
[15:18] | Your Honor– You’re not getting off, Bobby. | – 法官大人。。。 – 你不能退出,Bobby |
[15:21] | Anything else? | 还有别的事吗? |
[15:23] | Look, it doesn’t matter who they are or what they are. | 听着,他们是谁和他们是什么并不重要 |
[15:26] | They’re all entitled to a defense. | 他们都有权得到辩护 |
[15:28] | I didn’t make up the rule. | 这规矩又不是我订的 |
[15:30] | What constitutes “adequate”? What? | – 怎么才算是“充分代理”? – 你说什么? |
[15:33] | They’re not entitled to the best defense, | 被告有权得到的不是最好的辩护代理 |
[15:35] | only “adequate.” | 只是“充分代理” |
[15:36] | So I’m asking, how much is “adequate”? | 所以我问的是,做到什么程度算是“充分代理”? |
[15:39] | Sit. | 坐下 |
[15:44] | You think I want that piece of crap walking? | 你认为我想放过那个烂货吗? |
[15:48] | Tell me the ideology of the criminal lawyer, | 如果你还记得的话,跟我说说刑事律师的基本理念是什么? |
[15:50] | if you remember. | 如果你还记得的话,跟我说说刑事律师的基本理念是什么? |
[15:52] | “To check the state’s power | “阻止国家权力对人们的任意监禁” |
[15:54] | to incarcerate people at will.” | “阻止国家权力对人们的任意监禁” |
[15:56] | You get a gold star. | 回答非常正确 |
[15:58] | Now look at me. | 现在看着我 |
[15:59] | Look at what’s going on out there. | 看看现在都发生了什么 |
[16:01] | The state regularly jails people without due process, | 国家经常在没有正当程序的情况下监禁人们 |
[16:05] | then calls them material witnesses, | 然后将其称之为关键证人 |
[16:07] | and locks them up without even filing charges, | 甚至不起诉就把他们关起来 |
[16:09] | much less giving them a hearing. | 更不用说给他们一个听证会了 |
[16:11] | You’re talking about terrorist suspects, this– | 你说的是恐怖分子嫌犯,这个。。。 |
[16:13] | Who says it has to stop there? | 谁说的仅此而已? |
[16:15] | You don’t think there are people out there | 你不认为现在有人 |
[16:17] | who want to extend that policy | 想把这种政策扩展到猥亵儿童的嫌犯吗? |
[16:19] | to suspected child molesters? | 想把这种政策扩展到猥亵儿童的嫌犯吗? |
[16:21] | I understand the system, judge, | 我理解这个体系,法官大人 |
[16:23] | and I appreciate my role in it. | 我也很欣赏我在其中所扮演的角色 |
[16:25] | Then why are you here? | 那你为什么来这儿? |
[16:27] | I have to get up tomorrow | 我明早要做交叉盘问 |
[16:29] | and attack a 13-year-old rape victim. | 去攻击一个13岁大的强奸受害者 |
[16:35] | And I don’t wanna do it. | 我不想那样做 |
[16:36] | Well, you will. | 那么,你的打算是 |
[16:38] | And if I tank it? | 如果我故意搞砸了呢? |
[16:40] | Please. | 别这样 |
[16:41] | You don’t think I just pulled your name out of a hat. | 我不会以为我是随便选的你吧 |
[16:52] | You okay? | 你还好吧? |
[16:54] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[16:56] | It’s just– | 只是。。。 |
[16:59] | this isn’t exactly what I went to law school for, Eugene. | Eugene,我学法律的目的 |
[17:03] | Fighting for serial goat killers. | 可不是为了一个连环杀羊人 |
[17:06] | Are you serious? | 你当真这么想? |
[17:08] | Ellenor, | |
[17:10] | why did you go to law school? | 那你为什么学法律? |
[17:13] | Clarence Darrow. | 克莱伦斯·丹诺 (被誉为美国历史上最伟大的辩护律师,没有之一) |
[17:15] | I read his closing on Leopold and Loeb | 我读了他在Leopold and Loeb绑架杀人案的结案陈词 |
[17:18] | over and over and over. | 一遍又一遍 |
[17:21] | For me, | 对我而言 |
[17:22] | it was the constitution. | 那就是宪法 |
[17:24] | I was 12, and I couldn’t understand half of it, | 我当时12岁,一半都没弄懂 |
[17:27] | but I knew… | 但我知道。。。 |
[17:29] | this was something. | 这是很有意思的事 |
[17:31] | And you know the part that especially got me? | 你知道哪部分特别让我着迷吗? |
[17:35] | Freedom of religion. | 宗教自由 |
[17:37] | I know that probably sounds funny, | 我知道这听起来很有趣 |
[17:39] | uh, considering how I’ve been acting towards religion lately, | 呃,考虑到我最近对宗教的态度 |
[17:41] | but that amendment, | 但是那个修正案 |
[17:44] | it said to me that at least in principle, | 它告诉我至少在原则上 |
[17:46] | this country stands for tolerance. | 这个国家主张宽容 |
[17:49] | And, Ellenor, of all the constitutional liberties | 还有,Ellenor,所有今天需要保护的 |
[17:52] | that need protecting today, | 宪法自由 |
[17:54] | freedom of religion. | 宗教自由 |
[17:57] | I understand that. | 这个我理解 |
[17:59] | I really do, but… | 我真的理解,但是 |
[18:00] | But what? | 但是什么? |
[18:03] | I like goats. | 我喜欢羊 |
[18:06] | Trust me, Ellenor, | 相信我,Ellenor |
[18:08] | this case… | 这个案子。。。 |
[18:11] | is exactly why you went to law school. | 正是你学法律的原因 |
[18:25] | Ms. Elder, as a member of the American Humane Society, | Elder女士,作为美国人道主义协会的成员 |
[18:28] | you’ve had occasion to document | 你有机会记录下 |
[18:30] | the footage we’re about to see. | 我们即将看到的镜头 |
[18:31] | All the footage is accurate and has been verified. | 所有的录像都是准确的,并且已经过核实 |
[18:35] | Can you narrate, Ms. Elder? | 你能解说一下吗,Elder女士? |
[18:38] | ELDER: That is a cow being killed | 这是在德克萨斯州的 |
[18:40] | at a slaughterhouse in Texas. | 一个屠宰场正在被宰杀的牛 |
[18:44] | A pig. | 一头猪 |
[18:47] | Chicken. | 鸡 |
[18:50] | Examples of trapping. | 诱捕的实例 |
[18:53] | Laboratory testing. | 动物实验 |
[18:57] | Baby seals. | 海豹幼崽 |
[18:58] | This is Canada, not the U. S. | 这是在加拿大,不是美国 |
[19:05] | The question becomes, Ms. Elder, | Elder女士,问题是 |
[19:08] | are these isolated events? | 这些是孤立的事件吗? |
[19:10] | Isolated? Certainly not. | 孤立事件?当然不是 |
[19:12] | It goes on every day. | 这些每天都在发生 |
[19:15] | BRENNER: Ms. Elder, I’m curious. | Elder女士,我很好奇 |
[19:16] | Did you get a chance | 你有机会 |
[19:17] | to see the tape showing what goes on | 看到在被告的教堂里? |
[19:19] | in the defendant’s church? | 所发生的事的录像吗 |
[19:20] | I did. | 是的 |
[19:21] | BRENNER: In your opinion, | 在你看来 |
[19:22] | did you find the defendant’s actions | 你认为被告的行为 |
[19:25] | to constitute animal cruelty? | 构成虐杀动物了吗? |
[19:27] | Objection. | 反对 |
[19:28] | She can give a lay opinion, not legal. | 她可以发表非专业意见,而不是法律意见 |
[19:30] | He slit a goat’s neck and let the blood drain out. | 他割开一只山羊的脖子,让血流干 |
[19:33] | It was repulsive. | 那是令人反感的 |
[19:38] | Justin, if you wanna stop, | Justin,如果你想停止 |
[19:40] | or you feel you need to take a break, | 或者你需要休息一下 |
[19:42] | you tell me. Okay. | 你就跟我说,好吗 |
[19:44] | GAMBLE: You said the two of you started to become friends. | 你说你们俩成了朋友 |
[19:47] | JUSTIN: Yes, after I’d finish my work, | 是的,我干完活儿 |
[19:50] | we’d play cards and games. | 我们玩牌玩游戏 |
[19:54] | And then we started to watch videos and stuff. | 后来我们开始看些录像什么的 |
[19:58] | GAMBLE: What kinds of videos? | 什么类型的录像? |
[19:59] | JUSTIN: Well, at first, just comedies and stuff, | 呃,起初,只是喜剧之类的 |
[20:03] | like “The Nutty Professor” | 比如“疯狂教授” |
[20:04] | and “Austin Powers.” | 还有“王牌大贱谍” |
[20:05] | And then after a while, | 过了一段时间 |
[20:09] | sex videos. | 性爱录像 |
[20:10] | GAMBLE: And these videos, | 这些录像 |
[20:12] | men and women were having sex? | 是男女做爱吗? |
[20:15] | Some men and women. | 有些是男人和女人 |
[20:18] | But mostly just men and men, | 但大多数是男人和男人 |
[20:23] | or men and boys. | 或者男人和小孩 |
[20:25] | GAMBLE: What did you think when you saw this? | 你看这些的时候想了些什么? |
[20:28] | I don’t know. | 我说不清 |
[20:30] | I guess it kind of grossed me out. | 我想这让我有点恶心吧 |
[20:35] | But, you know, Mitchell, | 但是,Mitchell |
[20:36] | he said it was very common | 他说男人之间做爱 |
[20:39] | for men to have sex with each other. | 是很平常的事 |
[20:41] | GAMBLE: What did you think of that? | 你怎么想呢? |
[20:44] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[20:45] | Justin, | |
[20:48] | at some point, | 在某些时候 |
[20:50] | did you and Mr. Orbis have sex? | 你和Orbis先生发生过性关系吗? |
[20:55] | Yes. | 是的 |
[20:56] | Could you tell us about it? | 你能跟我们说说这事吗? |
[21:06] | Justin, | |
[21:10] | look, I know this is very difficult for you, | 我知道对你来说这很难启齿 |
[21:15] | but you are completely safe here, | 但你现在绝对是安全的 |
[21:17] | I promise. | 我保证 |
[21:19] | We need for you to tell us what happened. | 我们需要你告诉我们发生了什么事 |
[21:25] | JUSTIN: He, um, | 他,呃 |
[21:28] | he would touch my privates. | 他摸我的下面 |
[21:31] | GAMBLE: By touch, | 他会怎么摸你? |
[21:32] | how would he touch you? | 他会怎么摸你? |
[21:35] | With his hand, with his mouth. | 用手,还有嘴 |
[21:37] | GAMBLE: His mouth? | 用他的嘴? |
[21:39] | JUSTIN: Yeah. He would put his mouth on my privates. | 是的,他用嘴亲我的下面 |
[21:43] | By privates, you mean… | 下面,你是指。。。 |
[21:46] | My penis. | 我的小鸡鸡 |
[21:48] | And he would ask me | 他也要我用嘴去亲他的 |
[21:49] | to put my mouth on his penis. | 去亲他的那个 |
[21:53] | GAMBLE: Did you? | 你做了吗? |
[21:56] | Yes. | 嗯 |
[21:57] | GAMBLE: Justin, I promise you, | Justin,我向你保证 |
[21:59] | I’m almost done. | 我就要问完了 |
[22:01] | How many times did this happen? | 这样的事发生了多少次? |
[22:05] | A lot. | 很多次 |
[22:07] | A lot. | 很多次? |
[22:09] | More than 10 times? | 超过十次吗? |
[22:12] | Yes. | 对 |
[22:13] | More than 20? | 超过20次吗? |
[22:24] | Your Honor, I think we should take a small break. | 法官大人,我想我们应该停一下 |
[22:43] | He never cried… | 他从来没哭过。。。 |
[22:47] | because he liked it. | 因为他喜欢那样 |
[22:50] | And I think that his mother | 我想是他妈妈 |
[22:52] | told him to cry. | 让他哭的 |
[22:57] | I promise, he never cried. | 我保证,他从来没哭过 |
[23:05] | BRENNER: This isn’t a case about religion. | 这不是一个关于宗教的案子 |
[23:08] | It is about cruelty to animals. | 是关于虐杀动物的 |
[23:12] | You saw the tape. | 你们看到了那段录像 |
[23:13] | This man dangled a baby goat | 这个人拎着一只羔羊 |
[23:16] | as people danced behind him, | 人们在他后面跳着舞 |
[23:18] | and he slit its throat. | 而他割断了羔羊的喉管 |
[23:20] | He does it with pigs, sheep, | 他也这样杀掉猪,羊 |
[23:23] | turtles, chickens, doves. | 龟,鸡,鸽子 |
[23:26] | Pulls out his knife or box cutters– | 他拔出刀,或者裁纸刀。。。 |
[23:28] | FRUTT: Objection! | 反对! |
[23:29] | There has never been a suggestion of box cutters. | 从来没有使用过裁纸刀的迹象 |
[23:31] | I only meant cutting instruments. | 我只是指切割工具 |
[23:33] | We all know what you meant, | 我们都知道你什么意思 |
[23:34] | and I object to the blatant innuendo. | 我反对这种公然的含沙射影 |
[23:36] | MANTLE: All right. | 好了 |
[23:37] | Careful, Mr. Brenner. | Brenner先生,悠着点 |
[23:41] | We’re not here today to pass judgment | 我们在此不是来审判Santerian人的宗教信仰的 |
[23:43] | on the Santerian faith. | 我们在此不是来审判Santerian人的宗教信仰 |
[23:45] | All of us, every one of us, | 我们大家,所有人 |
[23:47] | is free to choose our form of worship, | 可以自由选择我们的崇拜方式 |
[23:49] | of course we are. | 我们当然可以 |
[23:50] | But the exercise, the practice of religion, | 但是其行使,即宗教的实践 |
[23:53] | has never been absolute. | 从来都不是绝对的 |
[23:55] | Whether it’s public health or safety, | 不管是公共健康还是社会安全 |
[23:57] | or yes, even morals, | 或者甚至是道德 |
[23:59] | the state can step in and say, | 政府是可以介入并表示 |
[24:01] | “Whoa, can’t do that.” | “不能这样做” |
[24:03] | Here, they torture | 本案,他们以 |
[24:06] | and mutilate animals | 公开和臭名昭著的方式 |
[24:07] | in an open and notorious manner. | 折磨并残害动物 |
[24:10] | We as a society don’t tolerate that. | 我们作为一个社会对此是不能容忍的 |
[24:13] | How could we? | 我们怎么能呢? |
[24:16] | We don’t tolerate it? | 我们不能对此容忍? |
[24:19] | What society is he talking about? | 他谈到的是什么样的社会? |
[24:21] | We live in a society that slaughters animals for food, | 我们生活在一个宰杀动物作为食物的社会 |
[24:25] | we kill them for fur coats, | 我们宰杀它们为了得到毛皮大衣 |
[24:26] | we poison them to test new drugs. | 我们给它们下毒来测试新药 |
[24:28] | We torture animals all the time. | 我们始终在折磨动物 |
[24:32] | We even murder them for sport. | 我们甚至为了体育运动而杀死他们 |
[24:35] | We hunt, we fish, | 我们打猎,钓鱼 |
[24:37] | we walk up to deer with our shotguns | 我们拿着猎枪向鹿逼近 |
[24:40] | and we blow off their heads. | 轰掉它们的头 |
[24:41] | We yank fish out of the water, | 我们把鱼从水里拽出来 |
[24:42] | and we let them suffocate | 然后让它们在我们的船舱里窒息 |
[24:44] | at the bottom of our boats. | 然后让它们在我们的船舱里窒息 |
[24:45] | If you wanna convict my client | 如果你们想因残忍行为 |
[24:47] | for being cruel, fine, | 而判我当事人有罪,随便吧 |
[24:50] | but don’t you dare do so | 但是你们休想 |
[24:52] | under some cloak of humanity | 披着所谓我们这个社会不虐待动物的人道外衣 |
[24:55] | that we as a society don’t torture animals. | 披着所谓我们这个社会不虐待动物的人道外衣 |
[24:59] | And I would submit | 我要指出 |
[25:01] | that if we say it’s okay to hunt them down | 如果我们说为了娱乐,为了虚荣 |
[25:03] | and to maim them for recreation, | 甚至是为了感恩节 |
[25:06] | for vanity, | 去捕杀动物或者使它们致残 |
[25:09] | or even for Thanksgiving, | 是可以接受的行为 |
[25:11] | how do we say no for worship, | 那我们又如何能说 |
[25:16] | a traditional worship | 为了一种可以追溯到一千多年前的崇拜活动 |
[25:17] | that dates back over a thousand years? | 这些行为就不能被接受呢? |
[25:21] | Personally, I don’t like what they do, | 就我个人而言,我不喜欢他们的做法 |
[25:24] | but you simply cannot condemn this man | 但你们不能仅仅是根据 |
[25:28] | under some theory that killing animals | 某种所谓杀死动物是不被美利坚合众国所容忍的理论 |
[25:32] | isn’t tolerated by the United States of America, | 而去给这个人判罪 |
[25:34] | because it is. | 因为这是被容忍的 |
[25:37] | Every time you eat a hamburger, | 你们每次吃个汉堡的时候 |
[25:42] | you not only tolerate it, | 你们不仅对此容忍 |
[25:45] | you proliferate it. | 更是使其与日俱增 |
[25:51] | DONNELL: It’s a pretty serious thing to accuse someone | Justin,指控某人法定强奸罪 |
[25:53] | of statutory rape, Justin. | 是件很严重的事 |
[25:58] | How long had this been going on for? | 这件事发生多久了? |
[26:00] | Three months or so. | 三个月左右 |
[26:02] | And you never told anybody? | 你对谁也没说过吗? |
[26:03] | I was too embarrassed. | 我太难为情了 |
[26:05] | DONNELL: You started getting in trouble at school, didn’t you? | 你在学校开始惹麻烦了吧,不是吗? |
[26:07] | I saw detentions for fighting, swearing at a teacher. | 我查到你因打架、骂老师而被放学后留校 |
[26:10] | You get suspended for swearing at a teacher? | 你因骂老师而被停学过吗? |
[26:12] | No. DONNELL: No? | - 没有 - 没有吗? |
[26:14] | Oh, that’s right, the principal thought | 哦,对了,校长认为 |
[26:15] | this behavior was a cry for attention. | 那是一种寻求关注的行为 |
[26:18] | Do you remember him saying that? | 你记得他这么说过吗? |
[26:20] | Yes. | 记得 |
[26:21] | Ever accuse another kid at school | 你曾在学校告过别的孩子的状吗? |
[26:23] | of doing anything to you? | 你曾在学校告过别的孩子的状吗? |
[26:26] | Russell LaFevre? | 记得Russell LaFevre吗? |
[26:27] | Did you once accuse Russell LaFevre | 你是有一次告状说他从背后打了你吗? |
[26:29] | of punching you from behind? | 你是有一次告状说他从背后打了你吗? |
[26:31] | Yes. Did Russell LaFevre punch you? | - 是的 - Russell LaFevre打了你吗? |
[26:35] | No. | 没有 |
[26:36] | You made it up? | 是你编造的吗? |
[26:37] | I’m not making this up. | 我这次不是编造的 |
[26:39] | DONNELL: You made it up against Russell. | 你编造了Russell的事 |
[26:40] | I can explain that. | 那事我能解释 |
[26:41] | DONNELL: You don’t have to explain it. | 你不必解释 |
[26:43] | Just tell us, yes or no, | 只要告诉我们,是还是不是 |
[26:45] | did you make up false accusations | 你编造故事诬告Russell LaFevre了吗? |
[26:47] | against Russell LaFevre? | 你编造故事诬告Russell LaFevre了吗? |
[26:50] | Yes. | 是的 |
[26:51] | DONNELL: Ever get caught cheating on a test, Justin? | Justin,你有没有被发现考试作弊? |
[26:54] | Once. | 就一次 |
[26:55] | That’s cheating and lying. | 那是欺骗和撒谎 |
[26:57] | Objection! Withdrawn. | - 反对 - 我撤回这句 |
[26:59] | Do you take drugs, Justin? | 你吸毒吗,Justin? |
[27:00] | All right. This is the accusing witness. | - 够了吧 - 这是在质询证人 |
[27:03] | Go ahead. | 继续吧 |
[27:05] | Ever smoke marijuana, Justin? Yes. | - 吸过大麻吗,Justin? - 吸过 |
[27:07] | DONNELL: You got caught smoking it at school, | 你在学校被抓到吸大麻 |
[27:08] | didn’t you? Yes. | - 不是吗? - 是的 |
[27:11] | You told the principal that you got it | 你跟校长说 |
[27:12] | from one of the high school kids, | 是从一个高年级孩子那里弄来的 |
[27:13] | told your mother you got it from Mr. Orbis. | 但跟你妈妈说你是从Orbis先生那里弄来的 |
[27:15] | Who were you lying to, the school principal | 你对谁撒谎了,Justin,是校长 |
[27:17] | or your mother, Justin? | 还是你妈妈? |
[27:19] | I got it from Mitchell. | 我从Mitchell那里弄来的 |
[27:20] | DONNELL: So you lied yet again | 所以你又一次对校长撒谎了? |
[27:22] | to the principal? | 所以你又一次对校长撒谎了? |
[27:22] | Yes, but I didn’t want any– | 是的,但我不想有任何。。。 |
[27:23] | DONNELL: Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[27:24] | After you were caught with drugs, Justin, | Justin,在你被抓到吸毒后 |
[27:27] | you got suspended then, didn’t you? | 你被停学了,不是吗? |
[27:29] | Yes. And this is when– | - 是的 - 但这是当。。。 |
[27:48] | after you were suspended for drugs, | 在你因吸毒被停学后 |
[27:50] | how did your mother react? | 你妈妈什么反应? |
[27:52] | She was angry. | 她很生气 |
[27:53] | DONNELL: Angry? Did she hit you? | 生气?她揍你了吗? |
[27:55] | JUSTIN: She spanked me. | 她打我屁股了 |
[27:56] | DONNELL: And this is when you suddenly declared | 而就在这时,你突然说Orbis先生猥亵了你 |
[27:59] | that Mr. Orbis had molested you. | 而就在这时,你突然说Orbis先生猥亵了你 |
[28:03] | Did you say that for sympathy, Justin? | 你这么说是为了博得同情吗,Justin? |
[28:05] | No! It’s the truth. | 不!那是真的 |
[28:07] | I see. So your mother, two days later, | 我明白了,所以你妈妈最终在两天后 |
[28:09] | finally decided to believe you, | 决定相信你 |
[28:11] | and she called the police. | 她去报了警 |
[28:13] | And when you talked to the police, | 但当你跟警察谈话的时候 |
[28:14] | you had to give them a lot of different statements, | 你得给警方很多不同的说法 |
[28:16] | didn’t you? Yes. | - 不是吗? - 是的 |
[28:18] | DONNELL: The first two times you met with the police, | 你最初两次和警察谈话 |
[28:19] | you said nothing about Mr. Orbis | 你没有提到 |
[28:22] | putting his mouth on your penis, | Orbis先生的嘴亲了你的阴茎 |
[28:24] | or yours on his. | 或者你亲了他的 |
[28:26] | You never said that, did you, Justin? | 你从没有说过那些,对吗,Justin? |
[28:28] | I was too embarrassed. | 我那是太难为情了 |
[28:30] | DONNELL: Too embarrassed? | 太难为情了? |
[28:31] | When did you come up with the idea | 你什么时候想出来添油加醋的主意来的? |
[28:32] | to add that part? | 你什么时候想出来添油加醋的主意来的? |
[28:33] | Objection! | 反对! |
[28:34] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[28:35] | You made that up, didn’t you, Justin? | 你编的,不是吗,Justin? |
[28:37] | No! DONNELL: Well, Justin, | - 不是! - 那好,Justin |
[28:38] | do you understand that you have an obligation | 你明白在此你有说实话的法律义务吗? |
[28:40] | to tell the truth here? | 你明白在此你有说实话的法律义务吗? |
[28:42] | We’re not in the principal’s office now, we’re in court. | 我们现在不是在校长办公室,我们是在法庭上 |
[28:45] | Your lies are hurting people. | 你的谎言在害人 |
[28:47] | I am telling the truth. | 我说的是实话 |
[28:48] | So, this isn’t another false accusation? | 那么,这不是又一次诬告? |
[28:52] | This time, you’re sticking with it? | 这一次,你是在死咬着不改口吗? |
[28:54] | Objection! | 反对! |
[28:55] | Withdrawn. Nothing further. | 我撤回这句,没有要问的了 |
[29:01] | Commonwealth rests, Your Honor. | 控方举证完毕,法官大人 |
[29:03] | SWACKHEIM: Mr. Donnell, you could call | Donnell先生,你可以 |
[29:04] | your first witness tonight, | 今天传唤你的第一个证人 |
[29:05] | or we can wait and start tomorrow. | 要不我们就等到明早 |
[29:10] | Counsel? Did you hear me? | 律师?听见了吗? |
[29:20] | The defense rests, Your Honor. | 辩方举证完毕,法官大人 |
[29:44] | I can’t talk now. | 现在我没法谈 |
[29:45] | PATRICK: Can’t talk? | 没法谈? |
[29:46] | How about just looking me in the eye, then, Bobby? | 那就直视我的眼睛如何,Bobby? |
[29:49] | Can you do that? | 你行吗? |
[29:51] | You hypocrite! | 你这个伪君子! |
[29:52] | You leave the church, accusing us of enabling sex– | 你离开教堂,指责我们。。。 |
[29:55] | There’s a difference between– | 这两者有区别。。。 |
[29:56] | There’s a difference?! Yes! | - 有区别吗? - 对 |
[29:58] | Between representing somebody who’s committed a crime, | 这和维护某个犯了罪的人的利益并替他保守秘密 |
[30:01] | and protecting his secret | 这和维护某个犯了罪的人的利益并替他保守秘密 |
[30:02] | so he can go on committing it. | 以便他可以继续犯罪之间 |
[30:04] | There’s a big difference. | 有很大的区别 |
[30:05] | That’s crap. | 你这是屁话 |
[30:06] | I gotta leave. | 我得走了 |
[30:07] | Then you’re gonna have to knock me over, | 那你就得把我撞开才行 |
[30:08] | because I’m not moving, you son of a bitch, | 你个狗娘养的,因为我不会让开的 |
[30:10] | until you listen to what I have to say! | 除非你听我说! |
[30:13] | You’re helping him secure his freedom! | 你在帮他争取自由! |
[30:15] | How is that not enabling more rapes?! | 这怎么不可能导致更多的强奸?! |
[30:18] | I was ordered by the court! | 我是被法庭指派的! |
[30:20] | Then quit your profession. | 那就放弃你的职业吧 |
[30:21] | You’re a man that’s quite capable | Bobby,你是个完全有能力抛弃这些的人 |
[30:23] | of walking out of a door, Bobby. | Bobby,你是个完全有能力抛弃这些的人 |
[30:24] | We both know that. | 我们都清楚这一点 |
[30:26] | Walk out on the legal profession, | 抛弃法律职业呀 |
[30:28] | like you walked out on the church. | 就像你抛弃教会一样 |
[30:30] | How dare you judge me or the Catholic people? | 你怎么敢指责我或天主教众们呢? |
[30:33] | Too bad you can’t save some of your rage | 很可惜没能使你对你那帮神父们消点气 |
[30:35] | for your fellow priests. | 很可惜没能使你对你那帮神父们消点气 |
[30:36] | I have plenty of rage for them, believe me, | 我对他们很生气,相信我 |
[30:40] | and I’m standing here right now condemning you, | 但我现在站在这里谴责的是你 |
[30:44] | mostly for your hypocrisy! | 主要是因为你的虚伪! |
[30:46] | Step away from the door, Father. | 请让开门吧,神父 |
[30:48] | I’m going. | 我这就走 |
[30:51] | Allow me, Bobby, to walk out on you. | 让我,Bobby,来抛弃你吧 |
[31:06] | I’ll bet Helen chased him down and set him in motion. | 我敢打赌是Helen找到他并动员他出来 |
[31:08] | Helen? DONNELL: To distract me. – Helen? | – 为了使我分心 |
[31:09] | How the hell would he even know | 要不他怎么知道我在做什么案子? |
[31:10] | what case I’m doing? | 要不他怎么知道我在做什么案子? |
[31:11] | Bobby, it’s been in the papers. | Bobby,报纸上都登了 |
[31:12] | It would be just like her. | 这做法就是像她的风格 |
[31:14] | Okay, you need to take a breath, and– | 好了,你需要深吸一口气,然后。。。 |
[31:16] | Lindsay, this is no time. | Lindsay,没时间了 |
[31:17] | DOLE: Helen Gamble did not go | Helen Gamble不会为了让你紧张跑去教堂的 |
[31:19] | running to a church to rattle you, | Helen Gamble不会为了让你紧张跑去教堂的 |
[31:20] | and if you think that, | 你要是这么想 |
[31:22] | you’re rattled already. | 你就是已经乱了方寸了 |
[31:24] | Maybe you should let Jimmy close. | 或许你应该让Jimmy做结案陈词 |
[31:26] | I can close. Bobby– – Bobby。。。 | – 我能行 |
[31:28] | I can close, damn it! | 我能行,见鬼! |
[31:39] | What does it mean when they make up | 他们这么快就作出决定 |
[31:40] | their minds so fast? | 意味着什么? |
[31:42] | They’re decisive. | 他们很果断 |
[31:45] | Hang in there. | 坚持住 |
[31:47] | I prayed all night. | 我整晚都在祈祷 |
[31:48] | Used up six cats. | 用光了六只猫 |
[31:52] | That was a joke. | 开个玩笑 |
[31:55] | MANTLE: Madam Foreperson, the jury has reached a verdict? | 陪审团主席女士,你们有裁决了吗? |
[31:57] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人 |
[31:59] | Will the defendant please rise? | 请被告起立 |
[32:03] | What say you? | 请宣布裁决 |
[32:04] | The Commonwealth versus Stanley Joley. | 马萨诸塞州诉Stanley Joley |
[32:07] | On the charge of cruelty to animals, | 关于虐待动物的指控 |
[32:09] | We find the defendant, Stanley Joley, | 我们裁定被告Stanley Joley |
[32:13] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[32:16] | MANTLE: The jury is dismissed with the thanks of the court. | 陪审团可以解散了,法庭感谢你们 |
[32:19] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[32:22] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 |
[32:24] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[32:25] | Ellenor, I know this ritual you found | Ellenor,我知道你个人对这种仪式是反感的 |
[32:29] | to be personally repugnant, | Ellenor,我知道你个人对这种仪式是反感的 |
[32:30] | which makes your defense of it | 但这使你的辩护和我的权利 |
[32:32] | and my rights all the more heroic. | 都更具有英雄色彩 |
[32:35] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[32:39] | Heroes are not easily found. | 英雄是不容易找到的 |
[32:41] | Takes an enormous amount of courage | 让一个被猥亵的儿童受害者站出来 |
[32:44] | for a victim of child molestation to come forward. | 是需要极大勇气的 |
[32:49] | Most don’t. | 大多数人不会的 |
[32:50] | Most think it’s somehow their own fault, | 大多数人认为这是他们自己的错 |
[32:53] | and the shame is too much to bear. | 而羞耻之情是难以忍受的 |
[32:56] | And for those who can overcome the embarrassment, | 对于那些能克服这种羞耻的人 |
[33:01] | there’s the prospect of having to sit in a courtroom, | 有可能不得不坐在法庭上 |
[33:04] | day after day with the man who raped you. | 日复一日地和强奸你的人在一起 |
[33:07] | We live in a country where the suspect | 我们生活在一个嫌犯拥有 |
[33:10] | has a constitutional right to confront his accuser, | 和指控他的人进行对质的宪法权利的国家 |
[33:14] | and somewhere along the way, | 而在这个过程中的某个阶段 |
[33:16] | confront became attack. | 对抗变成了攻击 |
[33:19] | You saw it here | 你们在此案中看到了 |
[33:22] | with Justin Langer being assaulted in that chair | Justin Langer在证人席上 |
[33:25] | by defense counsel. | 遭到了辩方律师的攻击 |
[33:27] | One almost had to wonder, | 人们几乎不得不去怀疑 |
[33:30] | was it worth it? | 这值得吗? |
[33:33] | Well, when the alternative is a rapist | 可是,当如果不这样做 |
[33:36] | going on to possibly rape other children, | 强奸犯就可能会去强奸其他孩子的时候 |
[33:41] | yeah, it’s worth it. | 对,这是值得的 |
[33:42] | That’s why I consider this young man to be a hero. | 我由此认为这个年轻人是个英雄 |
[33:46] | He came into this room | 他走进法庭 |
[33:47] | to face down the man who raped him. | 面对曾强奸过他的人 |
[33:52] | And his testimony | 而他的证词 |
[33:54] | is uncontroverted. | 是无可置疑的 |
[33:57] | He told you… | 他告诉你们。。。 |
[33:59] | how the defendant would repeatedly engage him | 被告是如何与他再三地进行口交 |
[34:02] | in acts of oral copulation, | 被告是如何与他再三地进行口交 |
[34:04] | how this man with a library of pornographic videos | 这个有大量色情录像的人 |
[34:08] | would use those videos | 是如何用这些录像 |
[34:11] | to seduce this child. | 引诱这个孩子的 |
[34:14] | He’s 13 years old, | 他才13岁 |
[34:17] | 13, and he was raped. | 13岁,但他被强奸了 |
[34:22] | Pedophiles repeat their crimes. | 这个恋童癖者再三地实施犯罪 |
[34:28] | Please, don’t give this one | 拜托了,不要再给他这样做的机会了 |
[34:31] | the opportunity to do so. | 拜托了,不要再给他这样做的机会了 |
[34:58] | Ms. Gamble talked about our system, | Gamble女士谈到了我们法律体系 |
[35:02] | rights of defendants and victims. | 被告和受害人的权力 |
[35:04] | You know that 90-something percent | 你们知道 |
[35:06] | of all defendants are guilty? | 有90%的被告是有罪的吗? |
[35:09] | Think about it. | 想想吧 |
[35:11] | By the time they get to trial, | 到他们出庭受审时 |
[35:12] | they’ve been judged guilty many times. | 他们已经多次被判有罪了 |
[35:15] | You got the accuser and the arresting officers, | 先是指控者和实施逮捕的警官 |
[35:18] | the detectives, then a grand jury, | 办案的警探,然后是大陪审团 |
[35:20] | then probable cause, | 然后是(相信被告有罪的)合理根据 |
[35:21] | we got all these mini-steps along the way, | 我们一步步地经过所有这些阶段 |
[35:24] | each of them concluding the same thing, | 每个阶段都得出同样的结论 |
[35:29] | the guy did it. | 这家伙有罪 |
[35:32] | And since the facts, you see, | 既然事实如此 |
[35:35] | D.A.s, they just wanna give a good, | 助理检察官们,只是要针对事实 |
[35:38] | accurate presentation of the facts. | 给出一个有说服力和准确的陈述 |
[35:46] | But defense lawyers… | 但是辩护律师们。。。 |
[35:50] | our job is to skew them. | 我们的工作就是要影响其准确性 |
[35:53] | We stand up to distort, bend, | 我们歪曲和曲解它 |
[35:56] | hide the truth if necessary, | 必要的时候隐瞒事实 |
[35:58] | and if you got a guilty guy, which we usually do–what, | 如果你要为一个有罪的人辩护,这是我们通常遇到的情况 |
[36:01] | we’re gonna hope the jury gets the right idea? | 我们会希望陪审团得出正确的结论吗? |
[36:04] | My craft, smoke and mirrors, deceit. | 我的辩护技巧,障眼法和骗术 |
[36:09] | Criminal defense attorneys aren’t about | 刑事辩护律师不关心真相的发掘! |
[36:10] | searching for the truth! | 刑事辩护律师不关心真相的发掘! |
[36:11] | Are you kidding?! | 开玩笑吧?! |
[36:12] | Mr. Donnell! DONNELL: That’s our system! | - Donnell先生! - 这就是我们的体系 |
[36:14] | The D. A. has to prove guilt beyond all reasonable doubt, | 检察官必须要超越合理怀疑地证实犯罪 |
[36:18] | and defense lawyer spews doubt, | 而辩护律师则滔滔不绝地抛出疑点 |
[36:20] | whenever, wherever, with all the discipline | 无论何时,无论何地 |
[36:23] | that that perverted bastard | 训练有素地如同那个变态混蛋 |
[36:24] | probably spews semen on his walls. | 把精液喷到自家墙上一样 |
[36:26] | Counsel! | 律师! |
[36:27] | I like to finish my closing argument. | 我想要结束我的结案陈词了 |
[36:30] | This man, I think he’s guilty. | 这个人,我认为他是有罪的 |
[36:33] | I’m sure as hell not supposed to say that, | 我肯定我他妈的不该这么说 |
[36:35] | but I think he did it. | 但我就是认为他有罪 |
[36:39] | The problem is… | 但问题在于。。。 |
[36:44] | I can’t be sure. | 我不能肯定 |
[36:48] | Neither can you, | 你们也不能 |
[36:50] | because all we have is one witness. | 因为我们只有一个证人 |
[36:55] | Sympathetic? | 使人同情吗? |
[36:56] | Definitely. | 那是一定地 |
[36:57] | Compelling? No doubt. | 使人动容吗?毫无疑问 |
[37:00] | But credible? | 但可靠吗? |
[37:02] | His own mother waited two days to call the police, | 他妈妈等了两天才报警 |
[37:04] | because even she didn’t believe him at first. | 因为即使她一开始都不相信他 |
[37:06] | He has a history of leveling false accusations, | 他有过诬告陷害的劣迹 |
[37:10] | a history of lying and cheating, | 撒谎和欺骗的劣迹 |
[37:12] | a track record of crying out for attention, | 靠撒谎骗取关注的记录 |
[37:14] | a history of drug use. | 吸毒的劣迹 |
[37:18] | The story itself changed | 对警方的不同陈述 |
[37:19] | with different statements to the police. | 使这种说法本身就有了变数 |
[37:22] | On the possibility that Mitchell Orbis | 基于Mitchell Orbis |
[37:26] | really did commit these crimes, | 真的犯下这些罪行的可能性 |
[37:30] | I hope he goes away. | 我希望他彻底完蛋 |
[37:33] | But in this country, | 但是在这个国家 |
[37:35] | we don’t take away a man’s freedom | 我们不会基于犯罪的可行性或可能性 |
[37:37] | on the possibility of guilt, or likelihood, | 剥夺一个人的自由 |
[37:40] | even an overwhelmingly strong likelihood. | 即使是压倒性的极强的可能性 |
[37:44] | You have to find guilt | 你也必须要超越合理怀疑地判定有罪 |
[37:46] | beyond all reasonable doubt, | 你也必须要超越合理怀疑地判定有罪 |
[37:49] | and I’m sorry, | 很遗憾 |
[37:51] | you can’t get there with one lone witness, | 你们无法只靠一个证人就做到那一点 |
[37:53] | especially one whose word lacks credibility. | 尤其是靠一个缺乏可信度的证人 |
[37:56] | My client may be scum, | 我的当事人也许是个人渣 |
[37:58] | but there is no real case against him | 但今天在这个法庭上,并没有真正的立案依据 |
[38:01] | in this courtroom today, | 但在今天这个法庭上,并没有真正的立案依据 |
[38:03] | which means the heroes here | 这就是说这里的英雄 |
[38:06] | have to be you. | 只能是你们 |
[38:08] | You have to go back to that room, | 你们回到合议室 |
[38:11] | uphold your oath to our system, | 必须要坚守你对我们的制度所立下的誓言 |
[38:14] | because if you don’t… | 因为如果你们不能的话。。。 |
[38:20] | God forbid the day comes when the only thing | 那在我们享受自由和身陷囹圄之间 |
[38:22] | standing between our freedom and a prison cell | 就仅凭一个撒谎的小孩的指认 |
[38:25] | is the accusing finger from a child who lies, | 愿这样的一天不会到来 |
[38:31] | because that’s all we have here today, ladies and gentlemen. | 女士们先生们,因为我们今天所有的依据只是 |
[38:37] | One accusing finger | 一个已知是撒谎的孩子 |
[38:40] | from a child who’s been known to lie. | 做出的一个指认 |
[39:16] | Um, uh, could I have a second in private, please? | 呃,呃,我能私下和你谈一谈吗? |
[39:26] | Bobby… | |
[39:28] | the reason I felt so violated by your decision | 我对你决定离开教会 |
[39:31] | to leave the church, | 感到如此被触怒的原因 |
[39:34] | you see, the church, to me, | 你知道,教会对于我来说 |
[39:36] | isn’t an institution. | 不是一个机构 |
[39:38] | It’s not a cardinal or the pope. | 不是红衣主教也不是教皇 |
[39:42] | It’s first and foremost my parish, | 居于首位地是我教区的教徒们 |
[39:46] | the people. | 是教众 |
[39:48] | So, by your leaving, it was, in some way… | 所以,某种程度上,你的离去。。。 |
[39:54] | I understand that you look to me for spiritual | 我理解那是你来找我寻求 |
[39:57] | and moral leadership, | 精神和道义上的指导 |
[39:59] | and obviously, I failed to provide it. | 显然,我没能给你那些 |
[40:03] | But if I could retract yesterday’s condemnation | 但是如果现在我撤回昨天对你的谴责 |
[40:07] | and substitute it with some… | 代之以一些指导。。。 |
[40:10] | guidance now, | 代之以一些指导。。。 |
[40:13] | our criminal justice system, | 我们的刑事司法系统 |
[40:16] | obviously we need defense lawyers | 显然我们需要辩护律师 |
[40:18] | to do what they do, | 做他们该做的事 |
[40:21] | but, Bobby… | 但是,Bobby。。。 |
[40:23] | from a spiritual and moral standpoint… | 从精神和道德的角度来看。。。 |
[40:29] | is this any way for a man to live his life? | 一个人该以这种方式生活吗? |
[40:36] | I’m sorry. | 对不起打扰了 |
[40:37] | You’re not gonna believe this. | 你不会相信吧 |
[40:39] | Jury’s coming back. | 陪审团作出裁决了 |
[41:10] | SWACKHEIM: Mr. Foreman… | 陪审团主席先生。。。 |
[41:13] | has the jury reached a unanimous verdict? | 陪审团达成一致裁决了吗? |
[41:15] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人 |
[41:16] | Will the defendant please rise? | 请被告起立 |
[41:21] | Mr. Foreman, what say you? | 主席先生,请宣布吧 |
[41:24] | “In the matter of the Commonwealth | 马萨诸塞州 |
[41:26] | versus Mitchell Orbis, | 诉Mitchell Orbis |
[41:28] | on the count of statutory rape, | 法定强奸罪 |
[41:30] | sex with a minor, we the jury, | 和未成年人发生性关系罪 |
[41:33] | finding a strong likelihood of guilt, | 陪审团认为极有可能存在犯罪行为 |
[41:38] | regrettably return a finding of not guilty.” | 遗憾的是,做出的裁定是被告罪名不成立 |
[41:43] | SWACKHEIM: Members of the jury, | 陪审团成员们 |
[41:44] | this concludes your service. | 你们尽到了你们的义务 |
[41:47] | I caution you, you will be subjected | 我警告你们,你们会受到 |
[41:49] | to inquiries from the press, | 媒体的询问 |
[41:51] | seeking to explore your decision. | 寻求对你们裁定的解释 |
[41:54] | None of you are required | 你们谁也不要和媒体讨论此事 |
[41:56] | to discuss this with the media. | 你们谁也不要和媒体讨论此事 |
[41:58] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 |
[42:01] | The defendant is free to go. | 被告当庭开释 |
[42:06] | Thank you so much. | 谢谢你 |
[42:09] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[42:13] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |