时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | CASSIE: This is me there. | 这就是我 |
[00:04] | I did all the stunts. | 所有的特技都是我做的 |
[00:06] | Some of the girls got picked for their bodies, | 有些女孩被选中是靠着身材 |
[00:08] | which you can see, I had one, | 你们也看到了,我也有好身材 |
[00:10] | and others for the gymnastics. | 有的是因为体操技能 |
[00:12] | But actually, I could do | 而实际上,拉拉队的动作我都能做 |
[00:13] | all the cheers. | 而实际上,拉拉队的动作我都能做 |
[00:15] | Cassie, | |
[00:17] | these are wonderful photographs. | 这些照片很棒 |
[00:19] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[00:20] | FRUTT: But you’re going on trial | 但你明天要因谋杀罪出庭受审 |
[00:21] | for murder tomorrow, | 但你明天要因谋杀罪出庭受审 |
[00:22] | and I really think we need to focus on the case. | 我真的认为我们需要把精力集中到这个案子上 |
[00:26] | You said it was important | 你说让陪审团感到 |
[00:27] | that the jury feel they know me a little. | 他们对我有些了解是很重要的 |
[00:29] | Yes, but whether you did | 对,但是是否你在高中做过后空翻 |
[00:31] | your own backflips in high school | 对,但是是否你在高中做过后空翻 |
[00:32] | isn’t relevant. | 于本案无关 |
[00:39] | We also need to meet | 我们还需要去见见 |
[00:40] | with your housekeeper– Nanny. | - 你的管家。。。 - 是保姆 |
[00:42] | Although she might as well be a housekeeper | 不过她也可以被称为管家 |
[00:44] | since foster care yanked away my son. | 因为寄养中心把我的儿子抢走了 |
[00:48] | This case could turn on her testimony, | 这个案子可能取决于她的证词 |
[00:50] | so– You think I did it, don’t you? | - 所以。。。 - 你认为是我干的,不是吗? |
[00:52] | It’s not our place to pass judgment. | 我们没有资格做出评判 |
[00:56] | What about the New Jersey incident? | 那新泽西州那件事呢? |
[00:58] | As we explained, | 如我们解释过的那样 |
[00:59] | since you weren’t convicted there, | 既然你没被定罪 |
[01:00] | the prosecution can’t introduce it into– | 检方不能将其引入。。。 |
[01:02] | I mean, | 我是说 |
[01:03] | do you think I did that one? | 你认为那件事是我做的吗? |
[01:05] | I wouldn’t know. | 我不想知道 |
[01:06] | I didn’t! | 不是我干的 |
[01:09] | It was probably his wife. | 可能是他的妻子 |
[01:11] | She did time in a rubber room, you know? | 她在精神病院隔离室里呆过,你们知道吗? |
[01:12] | And for someone who supposedly loved her husband, | 对于一个爱她丈夫的人来说 |
[01:15] | why wasn’t she at the trial? | 为什么她没出庭? |
[01:16] | Loved ones of the victims always go to trial | 受害者的亲人总是要出庭 |
[01:19] | to see the murderer get theirs. | 去看凶手们伏罪的 |
[01:21] | Well, perhaps, as you say, | 好吧,也许,如你所言 |
[01:23] | she was the killer, so she’d feel no need | 她就是凶手,所以她觉得没必要 |
[01:25] | to see you get yours. | 去看到你伏罪 |
[01:29] | YOUNG: We need to concentrate on this trial. | 我们需要把精力集中在这次庭审上 |
[01:31] | Who ran over who seven years ago | 七年前在新泽西 |
[01:33] | in New Jersey isn’t relevant. | 谁撞了谁都没有关联 |
[01:36] | They’re real. | 它们是真的 |
[01:38] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么? |
[01:39] | My breasts. | 我的胸 |
[01:41] | I can tell when women are looking at them to see. | 我察觉得到别的女人在打量我的胸 |
[01:43] | They’re real. | 它们是真的 |
[01:45] | So are mine. | 我的也是真的 |
[01:46] | Is there a point? | 这有意义吗? |
[01:48] | It’s just that people think I’m a fraud. | 人们就是觉得我是个骗子 |
[01:51] | The police obviously do, | 警察显然是这样想的 |
[01:53] | that’s why I’m going on trial, isn’t it? | 所以我才会被审判,不是吗? |
[01:54] | And the jury’s gonna think, | 陪审团会想 |
[01:56] | “If she’d lie about her tits, | “如果她乳房是假的 |
[01:57] | then she’d lie about anything.” | 那她什么谎都会撒的” |
[01:59] | Well, they’re real. | 可是,它们是真的 |
[02:01] | The jury needs to know it. | 陪审团需要了解到这一点 |
[02:58] | WOMAN: This way, please. | 这边请 |
[03:03] | Here you go. Thank you. | - 就这儿 - 谢谢 |
[03:06] | Lindsay Dole. | |
[03:09] | Ralph Alt. It’s a pleasure. | 我是Ralph Alt,很高兴见到你 |
[03:11] | RALPH: Ed Limato. How do you do? | - 这是Ed Limato - 你好 |
[03:12] | DOLE: Nice to meet you. RALPH: Brian Adams, | - 很高兴见到你 - 这位是Brian Adams |
[03:14] | Stanley Wells, | |
[03:15] | and Roland Monroe, | |
[03:16] | our client. Pleasure to meet you, Lindsay. | - 都是我们的当事人 - 见到你很高兴 |
[03:18] | DOLE: Nice to meet you. | 见到你很高兴 |
[03:19] | Please have a seat. DOLE: Thank you. | - 请坐吧 - 谢谢 |
[03:21] | RALPH: I know it was incredibly short notice. | 我知道这通知得过于紧促了 |
[03:23] | I appreciate your agreeing to meet with us. | 我很感谢你同意和我们见面 |
[03:24] | No problem. | 没关系 |
[03:29] | Roland is CEO of Seaboard Airlines, | Roland是Seaboard航空公司的CEO |
[03:32] | a fairly new East Coast commuter service. | 相当新的东海岸通勤服务商 |
[03:34] | I’ve heard of it. | 我听说过了 |
[03:35] | RALPH: They’re being sued today in federal court. | 他们今天在联邦法院被起诉 |
[03:37] | The plaintiff, a prospective passenger, | 原告,一个潜在的乘客 |
[03:39] | is seeking a restraining order | 正在申请一个禁止执行某项Seaboard公司政策的限制令 |
[03:40] | to enjoin one of Seaboard’s policies | 正在申请一个禁止执行某项Seaboard公司政策的限制令 |
[03:43] | and we’d like you to join with us | 我们希望你能加入我们 |
[03:44] | and actually argue the motion. | 并负责对这项动议实际的法庭辩论 |
[03:46] | We can fully brief you in all the issues, | 我们可以在所有问题上向你作充分的介绍 |
[03:48] | which are pretty straightforward, | 这些非常简单 |
[03:50] | assuming you’re interested. | 假如你有兴趣的话。 |
[03:52] | Okay, what am I missing? | 那好,有些我不知道的事吧? |
[03:54] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[03:54] | This is a big law firm | 这是一家大事务所 |
[03:56] | with plenty of high-powered civil litigators. | 有很多能力很强的民事诉讼律师 |
[03:59] | My practice has been almost exclusively criminal. | 而我的法律业务几乎完全是刑事诉讼 |
[04:03] | Why do you want me? | 你们为什么要找我? |
[04:06] | We don’t expect to win the motion. | 我们不指望赢得这项动议 |
[04:09] | Our goal is to attract attention. | 我们的目标是吸引注意力 |
[04:12] | Now, in addition to being a… | 你除了是一个。。。 |
[04:14] | pretty gifted attorney, | 非常有天赋的律师外 |
[04:16] | you’re attractive, | 你还很吸引人 |
[04:17] | and at the moment, extremely hot copy, | 在目前,基于你的谋杀定罪以及最近被释放 |
[04:19] | given your murder conviction and recent release. | 是非常热点的消息 |
[04:21] | Basically, | 总的来说 |
[04:22] | we think you’ll make the news. | 我们认为你有新闻价值 |
[04:25] | I want this particular policy | 我想让这项特殊政策 |
[04:27] | to get some play. | 发挥作用 |
[04:28] | What’s the policy? | 什么政策 |
[04:30] | We don’t fly Arabs. | 我们不搭乘阿拉伯人 |
[04:33] | You’re kidding, right? | 你开玩笑吧,是吧? |
[04:34] | I’m not kidding. | 我没开玩笑 |
[04:35] | We wanna be known as the most | 我们想被看成是 |
[04:37] | security-conscious airline in the new world. | 在新世界最具安全意识的航空公司 |
[04:40] | RALPH: Obviously, the longer this thing stays in play, | 显然,这件事的时间越长 |
[04:42] | the more publicity it generates. | 产生的宣传作用就越多 |
[04:44] | Ideally, we’d like to get on the stand | 理想情况下,我们想让Roland |
[04:46] | for an evidentiary hearing. | 在证据听证会上出庭 |
[04:47] | If you can accomplish that, | 如果你能做到 |
[04:49] | fantastic. | 那就棒极了 |
[04:52] | You don’t fly Arabs? | 你们不搭乘阿拉伯人? |
[04:56] | She’s a total loon, Eugene. | 她是个十足的笨蛋,Eugene |
[04:59] | Let’s just do our job. | 我们只管做我们的工作吧 |
[05:00] | What is our job? | 我们的工作是? |
[05:01] | The directive from the client | 当事人的指示 |
[05:02] | has been to authenticate her breasts. | 是要证明她的乳房是真的 |
[05:04] | Well, did they at least take away | 呃,警方至少没收了她的驾照吧? |
[05:05] | her driver’s license? | 呃,警方至少没收了她的驾照吧? |
[05:06] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[05:08] | When she ran over her last lover? | 当她撞死她最后一个情人时? |
[05:09] | She wasn’t convicted of that, Lucy. | 她没有被定罪,Lucy |
[05:14] | Sophie? | |
[05:15] | I thought we were gonna meet down | 我以为我们该在法院见面的? |
[05:16] | at the courthouse? | 我以为我们该在法院见面的? |
[05:17] | I know, but… | 我知道,但。。。 |
[05:19] | can I talk to the two of you for a second? | 我能和你俩谈一下吗? |
[05:23] | I’m starting to panic a little. | 我开始有点慌了 |
[05:25] | I don’t think I should testify. | 我认为我不应该作证 |
[05:28] | Shouldn’t testify? | 不应该作证? |
[05:29] | You’re the alibi. I know, | - 你是不在现场证明呀 - 我知道 |
[05:32] | but… | 但是。。。 |
[05:34] | I have a little skeleton in my closet, | 我有些难言之隐 |
[05:37] | and I am suddenly afraid | 我突然怕 |
[05:39] | that if the D. A. finds out– | 如果检察官发现。。。 |
[05:40] | What skeleton? | 什么难言之隐? |
[05:41] | Four years ago, I… | 四年前,我。。。 |
[05:44] | sort of changed my name, | 改过名字之类的事 |
[05:45] | and not exactly legally. | 不太合法 |
[05:47] | What do you mean you sort of changed your name? | 你改过名字是什么意思? |
[05:50] | I embezzled… | 我挪用了。。。 |
[05:52] | a little | 一点儿 |
[05:53] | from a former employer. | 以前雇主的 |
[05:55] | It was nothing too serious. | 不算什么大事 |
[05:57] | But my lawyer said that there was a possibility | 但我的律师说 |
[05:59] | that I could go to jail, | 还是有进监狱的可能 |
[06:00] | so I fled the state | 所以我逃离了那个州 |
[06:02] | and came to Massachusetts. | 来到马萨诸塞州 |
[06:03] | And with the help of some less reputable lawyers, | 在一些名声不太好的律师的帮助下 |
[06:06] | I became Sophie Taylor. | 我变成Sophie Taylor了 |
[06:11] | DONNELL: She tells you this an hour before trial? | 她在开庭前一小时告诉你这些? |
[06:13] | BERLUTI: I’m not sure you can call her. | 我拿不准你能不能给传唤她 |
[06:15] | Why? Because you can’t knowingly | - 为什么? - 因为你不能明知故犯 |
[06:17] | put up a witness to lie. | 让一个证人撒谎 |
[06:18] | She so much as says the name “Sophie Taylor,” | 甚至于她说她名字是“Sophie Taylor” |
[06:21] | it’s a lie. Look, the likelihood | - 这句就是撒谎 - 听着,可能的情况是 |
[06:23] | is the prosecution will have no idea about this. | 检方对此一无所知 |
[06:25] | She has no record as Sophie Taylor. | 她做为Sophie Taylor并没有过往的记录 |
[06:27] | That isn’t relevant to the legal ethics. | 这与法律道德准则无关 |
[06:29] | BERLUTI: What’s her real name? | 她真名叫什么? |
[06:30] | She won’t tell us. | 她不打算告诉我们 |
[06:32] | Jamie, maybe you and Lucy could find that out. | Jamie,也许你和Lucy能查出来 |
[06:34] | DONNELL: Why don’t you just plead this thing? | 你们为什么不干脆达成认罪协议呢? |
[06:35] | We’d love to. Helen won’t. | 我们很乐意,但Helen不想 |
[06:37] | The best they’ll offer is murder two. | 他们所能提供的最好条件的是二级谋杀 |
[06:39] | Then go with what you’ve got. | 那就接受算了 |
[06:43] | This man is an American citizen. | 这个人是美国公民 |
[06:45] | He’s a college professor. | 他是个大学教授 |
[06:47] | The intent is safety here, | 目的是为了安全 |
[06:48] | not bias, and when– KENDALL: Oh, come on, counsel. | – 而不是偏见,当。。。 – 噢,得了吧,律师 |
[06:51] | The assumption itself is a bias. | 这种假设本身就是一种偏见 |
[06:54] | To make an airline safe, | 为了保证一个航空公司的安全 |
[06:55] | you have to exclude Arabs? | 你就必须排除阿拉伯人? |
[06:57] | Your Honor, I will admit | 法官大人,我承认 |
[06:58] | the outrageousness of this policy. | 这项政策的粗暴性 |
[07:00] | How generous of you. Do you also acknowledge | 你真大方呀,那你也明白什么是平等保护条款吗? (美国宪法第十四修正案所规定的) |
[07:02] | something called equal protection? | 你真大方呀,那你也明白什么是平等保护条款吗? (美国宪法第十四修正案所规定的) |
[07:04] | DOLE: The rich are already doing this. | 富人们已经这么做了 |
[07:06] | They’re chartering private Gulf Streams | 他们正在包租湾流航空公司私人飞机 |
[07:08] | to fly on Arab-free planes. | 来飞排除阿拉伯人的航班 |
[07:09] | One could argue my client is serving equality | 可以说我的委托人是通过 |
[07:11] | by offering the same privilege | 向中产阶级提供同样的特权 |
[07:13] | to the middle class. | 来实现平等 |
[07:14] | One could argue it, I wouldn’t. | 有人会这么说,但我不认同 |
[07:16] | With the court’s permission, | 如果法庭准许的话 |
[07:17] | I’d like to conduct a short evidentiary hearing | 我要求安排一个简短的证据听证会 |
[07:19] | so you can hear directly from my client. | 以便使你可以直接听我的当事人的解释 |
[07:21] | We don’t need a hearing to determine whether or not– | 我们不需要听证会来决定是否。。。 |
[07:23] | DOLE: I will submit the laws | 我要指出 |
[07:24] | in this area are complicated. | 这方面的法律很复杂 |
[07:27] | If you’re going to shut us down, | 如果你打算停止这项政策 |
[07:28] | I would at least request the courtesy | 我想请你至少出于礼貌 |
[07:30] | of hearing what my client has to say. | 听一听我的当事人怎么说 |
[07:37] | 2:00. | 二点吧 |
[07:40] | GAMBLE: Revenge is said to be | 据说复仇是 |
[07:41] | the greatest of all motivators. | 所有动因中最大的 |
[07:44] | There is no psychological force greater, | 没有比这更强大的心理力量了 |
[07:47] | none than the will to get even. | 没有比报复更强烈的的意志了 |
[07:52] | You will hear evidence | 你们将会听取证据 |
[07:54] | how Cassie Ray | 有关Cassie Ray |
[07:55] | and Jason Scott were lovers. | 和Jason Scott是一对情侣 |
[07:57] | They even had a child together. | 他们甚至有了个孩子 |
[07:59] | Then, early last May, | 然后,去年5月初 |
[08:01] | Jason Scott broke it off | Jason Scott断绝了这段关系 |
[08:05] | and Cassie Ray became enraged. | Cassie Ray被激怒了 |
[08:08] | The evidence will reveal the threats | 证据将揭示出 |
[08:11] | the defendant made against the victim. | 被告对受害人的威胁 |
[08:13] | The evidence will show on May 23rd, | 证据将显示在5月23日的半夜 |
[08:16] | in the middle of the night, | 证据将显示在5月23日的半夜 |
[08:19] | Cassie Ray | |
[08:20] | drove to the victim’s house, | 开车去受害人家 |
[08:22] | picked up a baseball bat, | 抄起一根棒球棒 |
[08:25] | and attacked the victim | 趁着受害人熟睡之际袭击了他 |
[08:27] | while he lay sleeping. | 趁着受害人熟睡之际袭击了他 |
[08:28] | The coroner will tell you | 验尸官会告诉你们 |
[08:30] | Jason Scott was struck on the head | Jason Scott的头部被击打了 |
[08:33] | over 50 times. | 超过50次 |
[08:36] | The expert psychiatrist | 专业精神病医生 |
[08:38] | will tell you | 将告诉你们 |
[08:40] | that this inhuman brutality | 这种不人道的暴行 |
[08:42] | can only come | 只能 |
[08:43] | from profound vengeance. | 来自于深仇大恨 |
[08:47] | Most of all, | 最重要的是 |
[08:48] | the evidence will reveal | 证据将揭示 |
[08:49] | that this brutal murder | 这个残忍的谋杀 |
[08:50] | was committed by Cassie Ray. | 是Cassie Ray所为 |
[08:55] | The evidence will indeed reveal | 证据确实会揭示 |
[08:57] | this was a brutal, vicious murder, | 这是一次残忍的,充满仇恨的谋杀 |
[08:59] | but that’s all the evidence will tell you. | 但证据将告诉你们的也就这么多 |
[09:01] | The evidence here is thin, | 本案的证据是薄弱的 |
[09:03] | circumstantial, | 是间接的 |
[09:05] | no witnesses. | 没有目击证人 |
[09:07] | Cassie Ray has an alibi. | Cassie Ray有不在现场证明 |
[09:09] | She was at home sleeping | 5月23日晚上她在家睡觉 |
[09:11] | on the evening of May 23rd, | 5月23日晚上她在家睡觉 |
[09:12] | and her nanny will take the stand | 她的保姆会作证 |
[09:14] | and tell you my client | 告诉你们 |
[09:16] | never left her house. | 我的当事人未曾离开她的家 |
[09:20] | Prosecution has a burden | 控方负有超越所有合理怀疑地 |
[09:22] | to prove guilt | 控方负有超越所有合理怀疑地 |
[09:23] | beyond all reasonable doubt. | 证明有罪的举证责任 |
[09:25] | The evidence will reveal | 证据将显示 |
[09:27] | they can’t even come close. | 控方甚至无法接近这一目标 |
[09:31] | What the jury won’t be allowed to hear | 陪审团不允许得知的 |
[09:33] | is that Cassie Ray | 是Cassie Ray七年前 |
[09:35] | was arrested seven years ago | 因用她的SUV撂倒了她另一个情人而被捕 |
[09:37] | for mowing down another lover | 因用她的SUV撂倒了她另一个情人而被捕 |
[09:38] | with her SUV. | 因用她的SUV撂倒了她另一个情人而被捕 |
[09:40] | Since Ms. Ray was acquitted | 因为Ray女士的那次谋杀罪被判无罪 |
[09:42] | of that murder, | 因为Ray女士的那次谋杀罪被判无罪 |
[09:43] | the information is inadmissible. | 故这条信息不被法庭采纳 |
[09:46] | In other legal news, Seaboard Airlines | 在另一则法律新闻中,Seaboard航空公司 |
[09:48] | was sued today in federal court | 今天在联邦法院 |
[09:50] | for its refusal to allow passengers | 因其拒绝允许阿拉伯或伊斯兰血统的乘客 |
[09:52] | of Arab or Islamic descent | 乘坐该公司航班而被起诉 |
[09:55] | on its aircraft. | 乘坐该公司航班而被起诉 |
[09:58] | Well, they made the news. | 他们做了新闻 |
[09:59] | That’s what they wanted, right? | 这就是他们想要的,对吧? |
[10:01] | Lucy, is it okay if I transfer my calls? | Lucy,我把电话转过来行吗? |
[10:03] | I need to pick up the little man at daycare. | 我要去托儿所接那个小家伙 |
[10:05] | Sure. WASHINGTON: Maybe you should get | – 没问题 – 也许你应该 |
[10:06] | your own secretary. | 自己找个秘书了 |
[10:09] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么? |
[10:10] | You have your own practice now. | 你现在自己做业务 |
[10:11] | Maybe you should have your own secretary. | 也许你应该自己找个秘书了 |
[10:15] | Is there a problem? | 这有问题吗? |
[10:16] | Well, you know, I’m just concerned | 嗯,你知道,我只是担心 |
[10:17] | that people will call, get Lucy, | 人们给你打电话,是Lucy接的 |
[10:19] | and think you still work here. | 他们会认为你还在这里工作 |
[10:20] | And we’ll be confused with the kind of firm | 我们就会被和那种为种族偏见辩护的公司搞混了 |
[10:22] | that defends bigots. | 我们就会被和那种为种族偏见者辩护的公司搞混了 |
[10:24] | Oh. I see. | 噢,我明白了 |
[10:28] | You defend murderers, | 你为谋杀犯辩护 |
[10:29] | but a bigot? It is not the same thing, | – 但一个种族偏见者? – 这不是一回事 |
[10:31] | and you know it. All right. | – 你很清楚 – 好了吧 |
[10:32] | WASHINGTON: We don’t defend a person’s right to kill. | 我们不是给杀人的权力辩护 |
[10:34] | You are defending this client’s right | 而你正在为这个当事人的种族形象定性权做辩护 |
[10:37] | to engage in racial profiling. | 而你正在为这个当事人的种族形象定性权做辩护 |
[10:39] | And to the extent that you’re helping | 以致于到了有助于使偏见合法化的程度 |
[10:40] | to legitimize prejudice, | 以致于到了有助于使偏见合法化的程度 |
[10:42] | don’t think you’re not fueling a murder or two down the road, Lindsay. | 别以为你不会在这个过程中促成一两起谋杀 |
[10:43] | I need to take cases, Rebecca. | 我需要接案子,Rebecca |
[10:46] | You didn’t need to take that one. | 你不需要接这个案子 |
[10:47] | DOLE: I’m trying to build a civil practice here. | 我试着开始做民事诉讼业务 |
[10:48] | WASHINGTON: You didn’t need to take that one. | 你不需要接这个案子 |
[10:58] | McGUIRE: That’s pretty much how he looked when we arrived. | 我们到的时候他差不多就是这样的 |
[11:01] | GAMBLE: Detective, | 警探 |
[11:02] | who called the police to the scene? | 是谁报警的? |
[11:04] | Ms. Ray’s nanny, | Ray女士的保姆 |
[11:05] | she was dropping the child off for a visit | 她送孩子去看他爸爸 |
[11:07] | when she discovered the body. | 她发现了尸体 |
[11:08] | And, detective, could you tell us | 那么,警探,你能告诉我们 |
[11:10] | what physical evidence you found? | 你发现了哪些实物证据 |
[11:11] | The defendant’s fingerprints were all over the house. | 被告的指纹满屋子都是 |
[11:14] | We found hair genetically matching the defendant’s, | 我们发现的头发的基因和被告吻合 |
[11:16] | specifically one of the defendant’s hairs | 尤其是在谋杀凶器上发现了被告的头发 |
[11:18] | was found on the murder weapon. | 尤其是在谋杀凶器上发现了被告的头发 |
[11:20] | Her bloody shoe print, | 她的血鞋印 |
[11:21] | tire tracks matching the defendant’s car. | 与被告汽车相匹配的轮胎痕迹 |
[11:24] | We also found a bite mark on the victim. | 我们还发现了受害人身上的咬痕 |
[11:26] | Dental imprints revealed an exact match | 牙印显示完全和被告吻合 |
[11:28] | with the defendant. | 牙印显示完全和被告吻合 |
[11:29] | Fresh bite mark? | 新咬痕? |
[11:31] | Within the last 24 hours, yes. | 对,不超过24小时 |
[11:33] | Possible he was bitten | 可能是在他被杀的前一天咬的吗? |
[11:34] | the day before he was killed? | 可能是在他被杀的前一天咬的吗? |
[11:36] | We can’t rule it out, but– YOUNG: Thank you. | – 我们不能排除这种可能,但是。。。 – 谢谢 |
[11:38] | And if my client were in that house | 如果我的当事人在谋杀发生的前一天 |
[11:40] | the day before this murder, | 在那所房子里的话 |
[11:41] | it’s possible she left her prints, | 她有可能留下指纹 |
[11:43] | tire tracks, and hair behind then. | 轮胎痕迹和头发 |
[11:45] | Isn’t it, detective? | 不是吗,警探? |
[11:46] | McGUIRE: Anything’s possible, | 一切皆有可能 |
[11:47] | counsel, but again, I– My client also came | – 律师,我要再说一次,我。。。 – 我的当事人 |
[11:49] | to the house once the body was discovered, | 在尸体发现后又去了一次那所房子 |
[11:51] | didn’t she? | 不是吗? |
[11:52] | She entered the premises. | 她进了那所房子 |
[11:53] | She did. She was restrained. | 是的,但她是受到限制的 |
[11:54] | YOUNG: She contaminated the scene, didn’t she? | 她污染了犯罪现场,不是吗? |
[11:57] | Part of the scene. | 一部分吧 |
[11:58] | Possible she left | 她可能留下了 |
[11:59] | her bloody footprint then, isn’t it? | 她的血鞋印,不是吗? |
[12:01] | McGUIRE: We don’t believe it was left then. | 我不认为那是之后留下的 |
[12:02] | YOUNG: Can you rule it out? | 你能排除这种可能吗? |
[12:04] | McGUIRE: No, but– YOUNG: You found | – 不能,但是。。。 – 你发现了 |
[12:05] | the baseball bat on the floor. | 地板上的棒球棒 |
[12:08] | That’s correct. | 对 |
[12:09] | Well then it’s possible | 那么你在棒上发现的头发 |
[12:11] | the hair you found on the bat | 有可能是来自于地毯上的 |
[12:12] | could have come off the carpet, | 有可能是来自于地毯上的 |
[12:14] | right? | 对吗? |
[12:18] | I heard her screaming at him. | 我听到她冲他喊叫 |
[12:20] | The defendant? JESSEL: The very day | – 是说被告吗? – 就在 |
[12:22] | before the murder. | 谋杀发生的前一天 |
[12:23] | I was walking my cat | 我那时正在遛猫 |
[12:25] | past Jason’s house. | 路过Jason家 |
[12:26] | Oh, God rest his soul. | 噢,愿上帝保佑他的灵魂安息 |
[12:28] | And I heard her yelling, | 我听到了她叫着 |
[12:30] | “You can’t do this. | “你不能这样干 |
[12:31] | I won’t let you do this.” | 我不会让你这么做” |
[12:33] | And I even thought | 我甚至认为 |
[12:34] | I heard a scuffle. | 我听到的是一场争斗 |
[12:35] | Now, Ms. Jessel, | Jessel女士 |
[12:38] | the night of the murder, | 谋杀当晚 |
[12:40] | did you observe anything unusual? | 你看到一些不同寻常的事吗? |
[12:42] | Yes. | 是的 |
[12:43] | About 1:00 A. M., | 大概是凌晨一点 |
[12:44] | I was walking my cat, | 我在遛猫 |
[12:46] | we’re both fairly nocturnal, | 我们都是夜猫子 |
[12:48] | and I saw her car parked | 我看到她的车 |
[12:50] | one street over from his house. | 停在离他家只有一条街的地方 |
[12:52] | The defendant’s car? | 被告的车吗? |
[12:53] | Parked a street away | 把车停在一条街外 |
[12:56] | like she didn’t want anyone to notice. | 像是她不想让人注意到 |
[12:58] | But I noticed. | 但我注意到了 |
[13:01] | You were walking your cat? | 你在遛你的猫? |
[13:02] | Yes, I was. | 对 |
[13:05] | I suppose that makes me crazy? | 我想这让我看起来神经不正常吗? |
[13:07] | You said you saw | 你说你看到 |
[13:08] | my client’s car. | 我当事人的车 |
[13:10] | What was the license plate? | 车牌号是多少? |
[13:12] | It’s a Mercedes, silver. | 是一辆奔驰,银色的 |
[13:14] | You didn’t get the license? | 你没有记住车牌号? |
[13:15] | No. | 没有 |
[13:17] | Do you believe in past lives, | 你相信前世吗 |
[13:18] | Ms. Jessel? | Jessel女士? |
[13:19] | Nor does that make me crazy, | 如果你想暗示什么的话 |
[13:22] | if that’s your implication. | 这也不会使我看起来神经不正常 |
[13:24] | Were you on earth | 你前世生活在地球上吗? |
[13:25] | before this life? | 你前世生活在地球上吗? |
[13:26] | Yes, I was. | 是的,我是 |
[13:27] | FRUTT: As? | 是作为? |
[13:29] | A cat. | 一只猫 |
[13:33] | ROLAND: It’s discrimination. | 这是歧视 |
[13:35] | I don’t pretend otherwise. | 我不会佯称这不是 |
[13:37] | But it’s necessary. | 但这是必要的 |
[13:38] | DOLE: Why? | 为什么? |
[13:40] | Look, we can screen baggage, | 听着,我们可以检查行李 |
[13:42] | search passengers, | 对旅客搜身 |
[13:44] | get most of the weapons, | 查获大多数的武器 |
[13:45] | but you know who we catch? | 但你知道我们抓到了什么人? |
[13:47] | The unwitting people | 是那些无意的人们 |
[13:48] | who aren’t really trying to get past us. | 他们并非真的是成心要闯过安检的 |
[13:51] | And even some of them get by. | 但甚至这些人中也有过关的 |
[13:53] | Anybody truly determined | 而任何真正下决心 |
[13:54] | to take a plane down. | 要把飞机搞下来的人 |
[13:57] | I just can’t look my customers in the eye and say, | 我就是不能直视我的顾客的眼睛说 |
[14:00] | “I guarantee it won’t happen.” | “我保证这不会发生的” |
[14:02] | But you can if you ban Arabs? | 但如果你禁止阿拉伯人坐飞机就能了吗? |
[14:04] | We improve our chances. | 我们增大了我们的成功机会 |
[14:06] | The terrorists we’re most at risk from | 对我们威胁最大的恐怖分子 |
[14:09] | come from the Muslim world. | 来自于穆斯林世界 |
[14:10] | That’s a fact. | 事实如此 |
[14:12] | Also a fact, | 这是种族歧视 |
[14:14] | this is racial profiling. | 这也是事实 |
[14:15] | Without a doubt. | 毫无疑问 |
[14:16] | But we’re not the first to do it. | 但我们不是第一个这么做的 |
[14:18] | Immigration fingerprints | 移民局对所有进入这个国家的伊斯兰教徒 |
[14:20] | and photographs any Islamic | 移民局对所有进入这个国家的伊斯兰教徒 |
[14:22] | coming into this country. | 采集指纹和相片 |
[14:23] | We don’t do that with the French. | 我们并不对法国人这样做 |
[14:25] | But what you’re doing isn’t tightening security. | 但你所做的并不是加强安全 |
[14:28] | You’re barring them. | 你是在阻止他们 |
[14:30] | ROLAND: Look, | 听我说 |
[14:30] | people do not feel comfortable | 人们在飞机上看到一个阿拉伯人 |
[14:32] | seeing an Arab person on their plane. | 会使他们感到不安 |
[14:35] | They do not feel safe. | 他们感到不安全 |
[14:37] | I’m in a customer-service business here. | 我做的是提供客户服务的生意 |
[14:39] | If my customer does not feel safe, | 如果我的客户感到不安全 |
[14:42] | I’m out of business. | 我就破产了 |
[14:44] | That’s what this is really about, | 这才是真正的原因 |
[14:45] | isn’t it, Mr. Monroe? | 不是吗,Monroe先生? |
[14:46] | The bottom line? It’s about trying | – 最终的盈亏? – 这是有关于 |
[14:48] | to assure our customers that the security– | 向客户保证安全。。。 |
[14:50] | “We don’t fly Arabs.” | “我们不搭乘阿拉伯人” |
[14:53] | Mr. Furst, | Furst先生 |
[14:54] | I’m a great believer in equal justice. | 我是笃信司法平等的 |
[14:56] | But so were most of the people | 但911当天飞机上大多数人也是如此 |
[14:57] | on those planes September 11th. | 但911当天飞机上大多数人也是如此 |
[14:59] | That’s as cheap as it is offensive. | 你这样说不仅是陈词滥调而且令人厌恶 |
[15:01] | I don’t think so. | 我不这么认为 |
[15:02] | We have all kinds of weapons | 有各式各样可以避免被发现的武器 |
[15:04] | that can avoid detection. | 有各式各样可以避免被发现的武器 |
[15:05] | Plus, these terrorists are trained | 加之恐怖分子受过实战的训练 |
[15:07] | in physical combat. | 加之恐怖分子受过实战的训练 |
[15:08] | Even if you eliminate the weapons | 即使他们没有武器 |
[15:09] | What if your research | 如果你的研究 |
[15:11] | showed that blacks were more likely to commit | 表明黑人更容易在飞机上引发骚乱 |
[15:13] | mayhem on a plane? | 该怎么办? |
[15:14] | I would never exclude blacks | 我绝对不会排斥黑人 |
[15:16] | because I would consider that bias to be unreasonable. | 因为我认为那种成见是不合理的 |
[15:18] | This prejudice isn’t. | 可这种成见是合理的 |
[15:20] | There are 1.6 billion Muslims | 世界上有16亿穆斯林 |
[15:23] | in the world, | 世界上有16亿穆斯林 |
[15:24] | and you’re discriminating | 而你因为911事件中那19个恐怖分子的行动 |
[15:25] | against all of them | 而你因为911事件中那19个恐怖分子的行动 |
[15:26] | because of the actions of 19. | 歧视他们所有的人 |
[15:28] | That’s reasonable? | 这是合理的吗? |
[15:30] | Start your own company | 创办自己的公司 |
[15:31] | and run it the way you’d like. | 并按自己喜欢的方式运营 |
[15:33] | I should get the same courtesy. | 我应该得到同样的礼遇 |
[15:34] | FURST: We don’t give people the right | 在这个国家里 |
[15:35] | to be a bigot in this country. | 不会给人成为一个偏执狂的权利 |
[15:37] | How about the right to be safe? | 那享有安全的权利呢? |
[15:38] | What if somebody was convicted of a crime? | 对于被判过罪的人又该如何呢? |
[15:42] | Do you screen them out? | 你也把他们排除掉吗? |
[15:43] | No. | 不 |
[15:44] | What about, say, your attorney? | 那你的律师呢? |
[15:46] | Would you fly her? Objection! | - 你会让她搭乘吗? - 反对! |
[15:50] | SOPHIE: I’ve been her son’s nanny | 我做她儿子的保姆 |
[15:51] | for almost two years. | 差不多两年了 |
[15:53] | FRUTT: You’re a live-in? | 你是住家的保姆吗? |
[15:54] | Yes, and my bedroom | 对,我的卧室 |
[15:55] | is right over the garage. | 就在车库的上方 |
[15:57] | Ma’am, I call your attention | 夫人,我请你回忆2002年5月23日的晚上 |
[15:59] | to the night of May 23rd, 2002. | 夫人,我请你回忆2002年5月23日的晚上 |
[16:02] | Where were you that night? | 你当晚在哪里? |
[16:03] | I was home at Cassie’s house. | 我在Cassie的家里 |
[16:05] | FRUTT: And was she there? | 她也在那儿吗? |
[16:06] | Yes, she was all night. | 对,她整晚都在 |
[16:09] | FRUTT: Can you tell us | 你能告诉我们 |
[16:09] | what you remember specifically? | 你记得什么具体的事吗? |
[16:12] | SOPHIE: Yes. | 是的 |
[16:13] | Cassie was having sinus problems, | Cassie有鼻窦炎 |
[16:15] | so she took some sleeping pills | 所以她吃了安眠药 |
[16:17] | to help her sleep, | 帮助她入睡 |
[16:18] | and since they kind of knock her out, | 因为那让她睡得很沉 |
[16:20] | she asked me to listen for Timothy | 所以她让我听着Timothy的动静 |
[16:23] | in case he should cry. | 以防他会哭闹 |
[16:24] | I left the door open so I could hear. | 我把门开着以便我可以听到动静 |
[16:26] | Are you a deep sleeper? | 你睡觉很沉吗? |
[16:28] | I’m an extremely light sleeper. | 我睡得很轻 |
[16:31] | Do you know whether my client | 你知道我的当事人 |
[16:33] | ever left the house that night? | 那天晚上离开过家吗? |
[16:35] | She couldn’t have. | 不可能的 |
[16:36] | If she so much as started the car, | 如果她真的启动了汽车 |
[16:38] | she would’ve woken me. | 会弄醒我的 |
[16:40] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[16:44] | Ms. Taylor, | Taylor女士 |
[16:49] | you’re very devoted to Cassie Ray, aren’t you? | 你对待Cassie Ray是非常全心全意地,不是吗? |
[16:51] | SOPHIE: Yes. | 对 |
[16:52] | But I am telling the truth. | 但我说的是实话 |
[16:54] | She never left the house that night. | 那晚她绝对没有离开家 |
[16:57] | I see. Did you? | 我明白了,那你呢? |
[16:59] | Did I? | 我? |
[17:01] | No. | 也没有 |
[17:02] | GAMBLE: After you discovered | 你发现Jason Scott的尸体后 |
[17:03] | Jason Scott’s body, | 你发现Jason Scott的尸体后 |
[17:05] | and the police arrived, | 随后警方到达 |
[17:06] | do you remember what you told them? | 你还记得你跟警察说了什么吗? |
[17:08] | Not really. | 不太记得了 |
[17:09] | I was in shock. | 我当时懵了 |
[17:11] | They had to calm me down. | 他们不得不让我平静下来 |
[17:13] | You don’t remember telling the police | 你不记得告诉过警察 |
[17:15] | that you left the house that night. | 你那天晚上离开了家 |
[17:17] | I didn’t tell them that. | 我不记得我跟他们说过 |
[17:19] | GAMBLE: Well, yes, you did. | 不,你说过的 |
[17:20] | You said you were home all night | 你说你除了叫一辆出租车去药房外 |
[17:21] | with the exception of when you called a cab | 你说你除了叫一辆出租车去药房外 |
[17:23] | to go to the pharmacy. | 都呆在家里 |
[17:25] | You see that man, Sophie? | Sophie,你看到那个人了吗? |
[17:29] | He’s the cab driver who drove you. | 他是那个载你的出租车司机 |
[17:31] | Now do you remember going to the pharmacy? | 现在你想起来去药房了吗? |
[17:34] | SOPHIE: I forgot that I told the police about that. | 我记不得我跟警察说过这些 |
[17:36] | GAMBLE: Oh, you forgot you told the police that. | 噢,你记不得跟警察说过这些 |
[17:40] | Would you be up here lying to save Cassie? | 你当庭撒谎是为了救Cassie吗? |
[17:43] | No. | 不 |
[17:44] | I forgot about the pharmacy. | 我忘记了药房的事 |
[17:48] | I was gone 30 minutes tops. | 我最多走了30分钟 |
[17:52] | By the way, | 顺便说一下 |
[17:54] | I have no record | 我查不到 |
[17:55] | of a Sophie Taylor existing | 一个叫Sophie Taylor的人 |
[17:58] | until three years ago. | 在三年以前的记录 |
[18:00] | Would that be your real name? | 这是你的真实姓名吗? |
[18:09] | Am I dead? | 我死定了吧? |
[18:13] | It doesn’t look good. | 看起来情况不妙 |
[18:17] | Listen, | 听着 |
[18:22] | I think we should plead to murder two. | 我认为我们应该认罪二级谋杀 |
[18:25] | I know it’s not much, | 我知道这可不怎么样 |
[18:27] | but it beats murder one. | 但总好过一级谋杀 |
[18:29] | I know you think I did it. | 我知道你认为是我干的 |
[18:33] | You don’t wanna win this, do you? | 你不想打赢官司,对吗? |
[18:35] | We are doing | 我们在尽我们所能,Cassie |
[18:36] | our very best, Cassie. | 我们在争取我们所能,Cassie |
[18:40] | But I have to say, | 但我必须要说 |
[18:43] | you were dumped by two boyfriends, | 你被两个男朋友甩了 |
[18:45] | both end up dead. | 他们俩最终都死了 |
[18:46] | It’s– Ryan never dumped me! | – 这是。。。 – Ryan没有甩了我! |
[18:50] | Ryan would be New Jersey? | Ryan是新泽西的那个吗? |
[18:52] | He loved me! | 他爱我! |
[18:54] | He had a wife and a family. | 他有妻子有家庭 |
[18:55] | That’s the only reason | 那是他不愿离开的唯一原因 |
[18:56] | he didn’t wanna leave. | 那是他不愿离开的唯一原因 |
[18:58] | He loved me! | 他是爱我的! |
[18:59] | And I didn’t kill him. | 我没有杀他 |
[19:02] | I had an alibi. | 我有不在现场的证明 |
[19:04] | That’s why I didn’t get convicted. | 那就是为何我没有被判有罪 |
[19:06] | I had an alibi. | 我有不在场证明 |
[19:08] | FRUTT: Yes, you always seem | 没错,你似乎总是 |
[19:10] | to find yourself an alibi. | 给自己找到不在现场证明 |
[19:12] | But your car | 但是你的车撞了他 |
[19:14] | ran over him. | 但是你的车撞了他 |
[19:16] | It was stolen. | 车被偷了 |
[19:17] | I reported it stolen. | 我报失了 |
[19:20] | Okay, so someone stole your car | 那好,有人偷了你的车 |
[19:23] | and just happened | 但碰巧用这车撞了你的情人 |
[19:24] | to run over your lover with it. | 但碰巧用这车撞了你的情人 |
[19:26] | I had an alibi. | 我有不在现场证明 |
[19:28] | And he loved me. | 而且他也爱我 |
[19:30] | He had a family, that’s all. | 他有家世,就这么回事 |
[19:33] | Don’t you go saying | 你别说Ryan不爱我 |
[19:34] | Ryan didn’t love me. | 你别说Ryan不爱我 |
[19:36] | And Jason? | Jason呢? |
[19:38] | He loved you, too? | 他也爱你? |
[19:40] | No. | 不 |
[19:42] | Jason did dump me. | Jason甩了我 |
[19:47] | He deserved what he got. | 他是罪有应得 |
[19:51] | But I didn’t do it. | 但不是我干的 |
[19:56] | Ryan loved me. | Ryan爱我 |
[20:00] | It was only ’cause he had a family. | 只是因为他有家室 |
[20:19] | Hello. Hello. | |
[20:30] | CASSIE: Yes, I bit him. | 没错,我是咬了他 |
[20:32] | I was mad at him. | 我那时气疯了 |
[20:34] | I don’t deny that. | 这个我不否认 |
[20:35] | But I still loved him. | 但我还是爱他的 |
[20:37] | Why were you so angry with Jason Scott? | 你为什么对Jason Scott那么生气? |
[20:39] | I was in love with him. | 我爱着他 |
[20:41] | I took care of him. | 我关心他 |
[20:42] | I raised his son. | 我抚养他的孩子 |
[20:43] | I made love to him. | 我和他做爱 |
[20:45] | I let him nuzzle himself to sleep | 我每天晚上让他 |
[20:46] | every single night on my breasts, | 用他自己的鼻子蹭着我的胸部入睡 |
[20:49] | which are real, by the way. | 顺便说一下,我的胸是真的 |
[20:50] | I was practically a wife | 我实际上就是个妻子 |
[20:53] | and he dumped me. | 但他甩了我 |
[20:54] | Did you make threats? | 你威胁过他吗? |
[20:55] | Yes. | 是的 |
[20:56] | I screamed at him, I admit. | 我冲他大喊大叫,这我承认 |
[20:58] | I even told people I hated him. | 我甚至告诉别人我恨他 |
[21:00] | But underneath, I still loved him. | 但在内心深处,我仍然爱着他 |
[21:03] | I could never– YOUNG: Cassie, – Cassie | – 我永远不会。。。 |
[21:05] | did you ever leave your house | 他死的那天晚上 |
[21:06] | the night of his death? | 你曾离开你家吗? |
[21:08] | Never. I took a sleeping pill. | 绝对没有,我吃了安眠药 |
[21:11] | I was knocked out. | 我睡死过去 |
[21:12] | I was there the day of, | 那天白天我在他家 |
[21:14] | and we argued, | 我们吵架了 |
[21:15] | and I bit him, | 我咬了他 |
[21:16] | but I never went there that night. | 但是晚上我绝对没有去那儿 |
[21:19] | GAMBLE: You bit him because you were angry? | 你因为生气咬了他? |
[21:21] | CASSIE: Yes, and why shouldn’t I be? | 对,我为什么不该生气? |
[21:24] | I have a son, | 我有一个儿子 |
[21:25] | and right now he’s in foster care, | 而现在他被寄养了 |
[21:27] | for God’s sakes. | 看在上帝的份上 |
[21:28] | I shouldn’t be angry? | 我不该生气吗? |
[21:29] | Well, he’s in foster care | 那好,他被寄养 |
[21:30] | because his father’s dead, | 是因为他父亲死了 |
[21:31] | and his mother’s being charged with the murder. | 而他的母亲被指控谋杀 |
[21:33] | Exactly, for which I’m innocent. | 没错,可我是无辜的 |
[21:37] | How could I not be angry? | 我怎么能不生气呢? |
[21:38] | Cassie, you get angry a lot, don’t you? | Cassie,你很生气,不是吗? |
[21:41] | CASSIE: I don’t get violent, | 我没有暴力倾向 |
[21:42] | if that’s where you’re headed. | 如果你想往这上扯的话 |
[21:43] | Okay. | 那好吧 |
[21:46] | Cassie, I’m holding in my hands your diary. | Cassie,我手里拿着你的日记 |
[21:48] | This is your diary, correct? | 这是你的日记,对吗? |
[21:49] | CASSIE: Yes. | 对 |
[21:50] | GAMBLE: I would like you to read | 我想请你读一下 |
[21:52] | the clipped page dated March 11, 2002. | 2002年3月11日的这一页 |
[21:57] | “He has his precious bat | “他有在拍卖会上得到珍贵的棒球 |
[21:59] | he got at an auction | “他有在拍卖会上得到珍贵的棒球 |
[22:00] | signed by Harmon Killebrew. | Harmon Killebrew签的名 |
[22:02] | I feel like pounding his head with it. | 我真想用它敲他的脑袋 |
[22:04] | Maybe one day I will.” | 也许有一天我会的” |
[22:11] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[22:15] | You laughed? I couldn’t help it. | – 你笑出来了? – 我控制不住 |
[22:17] | What do you mean you couldn’t help it? | 什么叫你控制不住? |
[22:19] | How do you laugh? YOUNG: She bites him, | – 你怎么会笑呢? – 她咬了他 |
[22:20] | her prints and hairs are all over the scene. | 她的指纹和头发到处都是 |
[22:23] | She threatens him. | 她威胁了他 |
[22:24] | Her alibi turns out to be a big liar with no name. | 她的不在场证明是个无名氏大骗子提供的 |
[22:27] | I’m thinking, “What else could possibly go wrong?” | 我在想“还可能出些别的岔子吗?” |
[22:29] | Of course. | 当然了 |
[22:31] | She puts an entry in her diary | 她在她日记里记了一则 |
[22:33] | saying she wants to beat | 说她想 |
[22:34] | on his head with a bat. | 用他的棒球棒敲他脑袋 |
[22:37] | Come on. | 想想吧 |
[22:38] | That doesn’t mean you laugh. | 那并不意味着你可以笑出来 |
[22:39] | Did you know about this diary? | 你知道这本日记吗? |
[22:41] | Of course we didn’t know. | 我们当然不知道 |
[22:42] | That would’ve taken the fun out of it. | 这会让这事失去乐趣了 |
[22:43] | Eugene. I can’t wait to see – Eugene | – 我都等不及想看看 |
[22:44] | what happens next. | 接下来还会发生什么事 |
[22:46] | By the way, | 顺便说一句 |
[22:47] | Cassie knew the police had her diary, | Cassie知道警方有她的日记 |
[22:50] | and she forgot to tell us. | 而她忘记了告诉我们 |
[22:53] | She forgot to tell us. | 她忘记了告诉我们 |
[22:56] | DONNELL: What are you gonna do? | 你们打算怎么办? |
[22:57] | YOUNG: What else can I do? | 我还能做什么? |
[22:58] | It’s plan “B” time. | 到了该用B计划的时候了 |
[23:00] | Plan “B”? | B计划? |
[23:01] | Who? The nanny. | – 对谁? – 那个保姆 |
[23:02] | What? The nanny? | – 什么? – 那个保姆? |
[23:04] | Unless somebody’s got a better idea. | 除非有人有更好的主意 |
[23:07] | don’t tell me how ridiculous it is. | 别跟我我这有多荒唐 |
[23:09] | This case went to ridiculous a long time ago. | 这个案子很久以前就是荒唐的了 |
[23:11] | You’re going to accuse the nanny? | 你要指控那个保姆? |
[23:13] | What would be the motive? Don’t need a motive. | – 她的动机是什么呢? – 不需要动机 |
[23:15] | Hell, I don’t even know her real name. | 我连她真名都不知道 |
[23:17] | It’s all a big mystery. | 这都是个谜 |
[23:18] | Mystery is doubt, | 迷就是疑点 |
[23:20] | reasonable doubt. | 合理怀疑 |
[23:22] | Maybe they were lovers. | 也许她们是一对情人 |
[23:23] | Anybody think about that? | 有人想过吗? |
[23:25] | Sophie and Cassie are lovers. | Sophie和Cassie是一对情人 |
[23:26] | This Jason was getting in the way, | Jason挡了她们的道了 |
[23:28] | so out comes Harmon Killebrew. | 所以那根球棒就用上了 |
[23:29] | Let’s go with that. | 我们就这样干吧 |
[23:31] | Eugene, let’s think about this. | Eugene,让我们再考虑一下吧 |
[23:32] | Bobby, what’s to think about? | Bobby,有什么要考虑的? |
[23:35] | Sophie is as dumb as Cassie. | Sophie和Cassie一样傻 |
[23:38] | Who knows? | 谁知道呢? |
[23:39] | This might even work. | 这样也许会奏效的 |
[23:42] | FURST: These are very good times | 这是不容异己的大好时机 |
[23:44] | for intolerance. | 这是不容异己的大好时机 |
[23:46] | I mean, come on, who among us, | 我是说,不管我们当中的谁 |
[23:47] | if we see a Muslim on our flight, | 如果在飞机上看到一个穆斯林 |
[23:49] | doesn’t check the bastard out head to toe? | 不从头到脚检查那个混蛋吗? |
[23:52] | They blew up the World Trade Center, | 他们炸毁了世贸中心 |
[23:54] | for God’s sakes. | 看在上帝的份上 |
[23:56] | And every single one of us, | 我们每一个人 |
[23:58] | over a year later, | 一年后 |
[23:58] | still feels violated. | 仍然感到受到了侵犯 |
[24:01] | But what’s being violated today so openly, | 但在今天被公然地甚至是自豪地侵犯的 |
[24:05] | even proudly, is our civil rights, | 是我们的公民权 |
[24:08] | our freedom, | 我们的自由 |
[24:10] | the thing that America | 这些是美国应该注重的 |
[24:11] | is supposed to be about. | 这些是美国应该注重的 |
[24:15] | There’s nothing proud about this day, Your Honor. | 今天没什么值得骄傲的,法官大人 |
[24:21] | I’m sorry, I didn’t see that coming. | 对不起,我没想到我会这么说 |
[24:24] | I apologize. | 我很抱歉 |
[24:28] | I have this ritual | 我有个习惯 |
[24:30] | with my nine-year-old daughter over breakfast. | 和我九岁的女儿一起吃早餐 |
[24:33] | I tell her about the case that I’m arguing, | 我告诉她我正在办的诉讼案 |
[24:35] | and she tells me about school. | 她则跟我讲学校的事 |
[24:37] | And this week, she’s learning | 这周,她学习到有关Rosa Parks的事 (Rosa Parks 美国黑人民权行动主义者,现代民权运动之母) |
[24:38] | about Rosa Parks. | 这周,她学习到有关Rosa Parks的事 (Rosa Parks 美国黑人民权行动主义者,现代民权运动之母) |
[24:41] | She said, “Imagine, daddy. | 她说“想象一下,爸爸 |
[24:44] | They used to make blacks sit | 他们过去让黑人坐在 |
[24:45] | in the back of the bus.” | 公共汽车的后面” |
[24:47] | Sure, | 当然 |
[24:49] | it’s a different world since 9/11, | 自从911之后世界变化了 |
[24:52] | but the times of our nation | 但是我们的时代潮流 |
[24:53] | have always been defined most | 总是更多地通过 |
[24:55] | by who we are as a people. | 我们人民的本质来定义的 |
[24:58] | Well, who are we? | 那么,我们是怎样的人? |
[25:00] | Do we really stand for liberty? | 我们真的支持自由吗? |
[25:03] | I mean, are we truly the champions of equal rights? | 我是说,我们真的是平等权利的拥护者吗? |
[25:05] | Are Martin Luther King’s words | 马丁路德金不是说过 |
[25:07] | about judging a person | 评判一个人要 |
[25:08] | by the content of their character, | 凭他的品质 |
[25:10] | not by the color of their skin? | 而不是他的肤色吗? |
[25:12] | Do we live by these words? | 我们是恪守这样的原则吗? |
[25:16] | Or are they just credos | 或者这只是我们 |
[25:17] | that we trumpet | 在不恐惧的时候才吹嘘的信条? |
[25:19] | when we’re not running scared? | 在不恐惧的时候才吹嘘的信条? |
[25:33] | “We the people.” | “我们是民众” |
[25:36] | That’s how our constitution begins. | 我们的宪法就是这样开头的 |
[25:39] | Since 9/11, | 自911事件以来 |
[25:41] | the people want justice. | 民众想得到正义 |
[25:43] | People want revenge. | 民众想要复仇 |
[25:46] | But mostly, | 但主要地 |
[25:48] | people want security. | 民众想得到安全 |
[25:51] | Our government tells us every day, | 我们的政府每天都提醒我们 |
[25:54] | “The next attack is coming. | “下一次恐怖袭击即将到来 |
[25:55] | Be on the lookout.” | 保持警惕” |
[25:56] | It’s not a question of if, | 问题不是会不会发生 |
[25:58] | but when. | 而是在何时发生 |
[26:00] | It’s not about screening weapons. | 这与检查武器无关 |
[26:03] | The airplane itself is the weapon. | 因为飞机本身就是武器 |
[26:05] | It’s a big, flying bomb. | 是一个巨大的飞行的炸弹 |
[26:08] | It has to be about stopping certain people | 必须要从登机环节 |
[26:10] | from getting on board, | 就阻止某些特定人群 |
[26:12] | and, yes, by certain people, | 没错,所谓某些人 |
[26:14] | I mean Arabs. | 我指的就是阿拉伯人 |
[26:16] | Racial profiling | 种族形象定性 |
[26:18] | is a terrible thing, | 是件可怕的事情 |
[26:20] | but the reality is, | 但现实是 |
[26:23] | it has become necessary. | 这已成为必要 |
[26:26] | These terrorists are unlike | 这些恐怖分子不像 |
[26:29] | any enemy that we have ever faced. | 我们曾经面对过的任何敌人 |
[26:33] | They’re not just evil. | 他们不仅仅是邪恶的 |
[26:35] | They’re educated, trained, | 他们受过教育和训练 |
[26:37] | and willing to die themselves. | 自愿赴死 |
[26:39] | They live among us as neighbors. | 他们是我们生活中的邻居 |
[26:41] | They are among us. | 他们在我们中间 |
[26:45] | It’s not possible | 通过行为筛选出他们是不可能的 |
[26:46] | to behaviorally pick them out. | 通过行为筛选出他们是不可能的 |
[26:49] | That’s why, to be safe, | 所以,为了安全 |
[26:52] | an airline has to screen them all. | 一家航空公司必须将他们全部筛除掉 |
[26:55] | Or at least an airline should be allowed to. | 或者至少要允许一家航空公司可以这么做 |
[26:58] | When I was growing up, | 当我年少的时候 |
[26:59] | America was always a land | 美国一直是一片边界开放的大陆 |
[27:00] | whose borders were open, | 美国一直是一片边界开放的大陆 |
[27:02] | a place where anybody from any nation | 是一个任何国家的人 |
[27:05] | could come to our shores, | 都能来到我们的海岸 |
[27:06] | work hard, | 努力工作 |
[27:07] | and fulfill his dreams. | 实现他的梦想的地方 |
[27:11] | I’ve always loved being an American. | 我一直很愿意做为一个美国人 |
[27:15] | I have a young son, | 我有个小儿子 |
[27:17] | and… | 还有。。。 |
[27:20] | once my dream for him | 我对他曾经的愿望 |
[27:23] | was to grow up in this America. | 是在美国成长 |
[27:28] | But that’s no longer a possibility | 但是那已经不可能了 |
[27:31] | and I cry about that. | 我为此哭泣 |
[27:35] | I cry for my son. | 我为我的儿子哭泣 |
[27:38] | But as his mother, | 但作为他的母亲 |
[27:42] | I want him to be safe. | 我希望他得到安全 |
[27:45] | I want for him to be able to get on a plane | 我希望他能搭乘一班 |
[27:47] | that won’t be used as a bomb. | 不会被用作炸弹的飞机 |
[27:50] | And I don’t think you can dismiss that | 我认为你不能视其为无端恐惧 |
[27:52] | as paranoia, Your Honor, | 而不屑一顾,法官大人 |
[27:56] | when our own leaders | 当我们自己的领导人 |
[27:57] | are telling us to be afraid. | 告诉我们应该恐惧的时候 |
[28:03] | I’ll remind you, Ms. Taylor, | Taylor女士,我要提醒你 |
[28:04] | that you’re under oath. | 你是发过誓的 |
[28:06] | We had a lot of surprises earlier, didn’t we? | 我们之前有很多意料之外,不是吗? |
[28:08] | Turns out you were gone from the house. | 你其实是离开过家的 |
[28:10] | Sophie Taylor isn’t your real name. | 而Sophie Taylor不是你的真实姓名 |
[28:13] | Kind of begs the question, doesn’t it? | 这就有些疑问了,不是吗? |
[28:17] | You killed Jason Scott, didn’t you? | 你杀了Jason Scott,不是吗? |
[28:18] | What? It was you. | – 什么? – 就是你 |
[28:20] | What are you doing? What’s going on? | – 你在干什么? – 搞什么呀? |
[28:21] | Mr. Young… | Young先生。。。 |
[28:22] | YOUNG: Your Honor, I have reason | 法官大人,我有理由 |
[28:24] | to suspect this woman of the murder. | 怀疑这个女人是凶手 |
[28:25] | This woman is a felon. | 这个女人是重罪犯 |
[28:28] | What state did you flee | 在你被发现贪污之后 |
[28:29] | after you were caught embezzling? | 你从哪个州逃出来的? |
[28:31] | Hey. What’s your name, ma’am? | – 嘿 – 你叫什么名字,女士? |
[28:33] | I told you that in private. You’re not my client, ma’am. | – 我是私下告诉你的 – 你不是我的当事人,夫人 |
[28:36] | What’s your name? You can’t do this. | – 你的名字是什么? – 你不能这样干 |
[28:37] | Tell us who you are. | 告诉我们你是谁 |
[28:38] | Your Honor, I plead the Second Amendment. | 法官大人,我援引第二修正案 |
[28:40] | Let’s try the Fifth. | 我们还是用第五修正案吧 |
[28:42] | Did you kill Jason Scott? No! | – 是你杀了Jason Scott吧? – 不! |
[28:44] | You had keys to his house, her car. | 你有他家和她的车的钥匙 |
[28:46] | You could’ve easily taken one of Cassie’s hairs | 你可以轻易地拿到一根Cassie的头发 |
[28:48] | and stuck it to a bat. | 粘到球棒上 |
[28:50] | Your Honor. SOPHIE: What? | – 法官大人 – 什么? |
[28:50] | You’re crazy. YOUNG: Your Honor, | – 你疯了 – 法官大人 |
[28:52] | I demand you order this woman | 我要求你命令这个女人 |
[28:53] | to reveal her real name! | 公布她的真实姓名 |
[28:55] | Maybe she’s killed others. | 也许她还杀了别的人 |
[28:56] | Mr. Young, settle down. | Young先生,平静下来 |
[28:58] | Now. | 立刻 |
[29:01] | You know what, Ms. Taylor, | 我跟你说,Taylor女士 |
[29:03] | or whoever you are, | 不管你到底是谁 |
[29:04] | I am going to order you | 我命令你 |
[29:05] | to tell us your true identity. | 说出你的真实身份 |
[29:07] | Otherwise, I will hold you in contempt. | 否则,我要以藐视法庭罪拘押你 |
[29:14] | Marge Fennell. | 我叫Marge Fennel |
[29:17] | I’m from Connecticut. | 我来自康涅狄格州 |
[29:19] | And who did you embezzle from, Ms. Fennell? | Fennell女士,你贪污了谁的钱? |
[29:24] | I didn’t. | 我没有贪污 |
[29:28] | I just made it up | 我编出来的 |
[29:30] | to make me sound a little exotic. | 只是为了让我听起来有些与众不同 |
[29:34] | I got a speeding ticket once. | 我只收过一次超速罚单 |
[29:50] | Well, we had to at least try. | 我们至少得试试 |
[29:52] | Now what? | 现在呢? |
[29:53] | Showtime, I guess. Showtime? | – 我想是作秀时间 – 作秀时间? |
[29:55] | I thought we already had Showtime. | 我以为我们已经作过秀了 |
[29:57] | What are you gonna do now? | 你现在打算怎么办? |
[29:58] | I’m going to close. | 我准备做结案陈词了 |
[29:58] | FRUTT: With what? | 说些什么呀? |
[29:59] | United States of America. | 美利坚合众国 |
[30:08] | MAN: be seated. | 请坐下 |
[30:17] | I find it almost unimaginable | 我觉得这几乎难以置信 |
[30:21] | that we are in court to decide | 我们要在法庭上来决定 |
[30:23] | whether it is permissible | 是否许可 |
[30:24] | for an airline to discriminate | 一家航空公司基于种族因素 |
[30:26] | against a group | 来区别对待一个群体 |
[30:28] | based on its ethnicity. | 来区别对待一个群体 |
[30:31] | It is a flat-out violation | 这是完全违反了 |
[30:33] | of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, | 1964年的民权法案 |
[30:35] | The Commerce Clause, | 和商业条款 |
[30:37] | and the idea repulses me. | 这个想法让我反感 |
[30:40] | It is unimaginable. | 这是难以想象的 |
[30:43] | But I’m reminded of a column I read | 但我想起了我在纽约时报上 |
[30:45] | in the New York Times | 读过的Thomas Friedman |
[30:46] | by Thomas Friedman. | 写的一篇专栏 |
[30:48] | He said what happened | 他说发生在911的事是。。。 |
[30:49] | on September the 11th was… | 他说发生在911的事是。。。 |
[30:52] | beyond unimaginable. | 难以想象的 |
[30:55] | It wasn’t so much our intelligence agencies | 与其说是我们的情报机构 |
[30:58] | as it was our imaginations | 不如说是我们的想象力出问题了 |
[31:01] | that failed. | 不如说是我们的想象力出问题了 |
[31:04] | We simply couldn’t conceive | 我们简直无法想象 |
[31:07] | that educated people, | 那些来自优越家庭的 |
[31:08] | from privileged homes no less, | 受过教育的人竟然 |
[31:10] | would turn a plane | 会把一架飞机 |
[31:11] | into a missile, | 变成一枚导弹 |
[31:12] | killing themselves | 杀死自己和那么多无辜的人 |
[31:14] | and so many innocent people. | 杀死自己和那么多无辜的人 |
[31:18] | Mr. Furst, you are asking me | Furst先生,你在要求我 |
[31:20] | to weigh the principles of law, | 在法律的理性的或许是道德的原则 |
[31:21] | of reason, perhaps morality, | 在法律的理性的或许是道德的原则 |
[31:24] | against a phenomenon of terrorism | 与那些公认没有这些原则界限的恐怖主义现象之间 |
[31:26] | that knows | 与那些公认没有这些原则界限的恐怖主义现象之间 |
[31:27] | no such boundaries. | 做出权衡 |
[31:30] | That’s why the government | 这也就是为什么当局 |
[31:32] | has so much as admitted | 甚至承认 |
[31:33] | they don’t know what steps to take | 他们不知道该采取什么措施 |
[31:34] | against the ones waiting to strike next. | 去对付等待下一次袭击的人 |
[31:38] | They are beyond our imagination. | 他们超出了我们的想象 |
[31:44] | Ms. Dole, you mentioned | Dole女士,你提到 |
[31:46] | that you loved being an American. | 你愿意做一个美国人 |
[31:49] | So do I. | 我也是 |
[31:52] | I became a judge first and foremost | 我做为一个法官首要的 |
[31:55] | to protect those liberties | 是保护宪法赋予我们的自由 |
[31:58] | so afforded us by the constitution, | 是保护宪法赋予我们的自由 |
[32:00] | those freedoms | 那些我们都很珍惜的自由 |
[32:01] | that we all hold so precious, | 那些我们都很珍惜的自由 |
[32:04] | and, until recently, | 直到最近 |
[32:06] | so fundamental. | 这都是最根本的 |
[32:10] | But the reality is we make exceptions | 但是现实是 |
[32:12] | to our constitutional rights | 我们总是允许对我们的宪法权利 |
[32:14] | all the time, | 有所例外 |
[32:16] | be it freedom of speech, | 不管是言论自由 |
[32:17] | religion, | 还是宗教 |
[32:18] | none of them is absolute. | 它们都不是绝对的 |
[32:21] | The legal test for doing something | 做出如此明显违宪的事情的 |
[32:23] | so patently unconstitutional is, | 法律标准总的来说就是 |
[32:26] | basically, you better have a damn good reason. | 你最好有个非常好的理由 |
[32:31] | There has been one other long-standing reality | 这个国家还有一个长期存在的实际情况 |
[32:35] | in this country. | 这个国家还有一个长期存在的实际情况 |
[32:37] | If not safe, | 如果得不到安全 |
[32:40] | one can never be free. | 那绝对不会有自由 |
[32:46] | With great personal disgust, | 虽然我个人感到非常厌恶 |
[32:51] | I am denying the plaintiff’s motion | 但我还是要驳回原告提出的 |
[32:53] | for a TRO. | 临时禁制令动议 |
[32:55] | We can all take consolation in knowing | 我们知道这项裁决可能不会被上诉 |
[32:57] | that this ruling probably won’t stick on appeal, | 而都会因此感到宽慰 |
[32:59] | but let’s not kid ourselves. | 但我们不要自欺欺人 |
[33:02] | The day is soon coming when it will. | 这一天很快就会到来 |
[33:07] | Plaintiff’s motion denied. | 原告的动议被驳回 |
[33:10] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[33:18] | Counselor. | 律师 |
[33:21] | Thank you, Lindsay. | 谢谢你,Lindsay |
[33:21] | Fantastic. | 太了不起了 |
[33:23] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[33:27] | Something tells me you’re gonna have a pretty decent | 我觉得你自己会有一个 |
[33:29] | civil practice for yourself. | 相当不错的民事诉讼业务 |
[33:40] | You okay? | 没事吧? |
[34:01] | She threatened him. | 她威胁过他 |
[34:03] | They were heard fighting the day before. | 有人听见他们那天之前吵过架 |
[34:06] | Her car was seen parked a block away | 她的车在谋杀当晚就停在一条街之外 |
[34:08] | the night of the murder. | 她的车在谋杀当晚就停在一条街之外 |
[34:10] | Her prints, hairs, fibers, | 她的指纹、头发、织物纤维 |
[34:12] | all over the scene of the crime. | 遍布整个犯罪现场 |
[34:14] | There was even one hair | 甚至连凶器上 |
[34:16] | on the murder weapon. | 都沾上了一根头发 |
[34:18] | She left a bloody shoe print. | 她留下了一个血脚印 |
[34:20] | She puts an alibi witness up here | 她推出了一个撒谎的不在现场证人 |
[34:23] | who lied, | 她推出了一个撒谎的不在现场证人 |
[34:24] | who admitted she couldn’t totally account | 这个证人承认她不能 |
[34:26] | for the defendant’s whereabouts. | 完全说明被告的行踪 |
[34:28] | She even lied about her own name. | 她甚至连她自己的名字都撒了谎 |
[34:30] | Who knows what else she made up? | 谁知道她还会编些别的什么? |
[34:33] | The psychiatric expert told you, | 精神专家告诉你们 |
[34:37] | there’s only one motive | 当一个男人头被砸了50次时 |
[34:38] | for this kind of killing. | 当一个男人头被砸了50次时 |
[34:39] | When a man gets hit on the head | 这种杀戮只有一种动机 |
[34:41] | over 50 times, | 这种杀戮只有一种动机 |
[34:43] | it’s rage, | 就是愤怒 |
[34:45] | revenge. | 复仇 |
[34:48] | This woman… | 这个女人。。。 |
[34:50] | wrote in her own diary | 在她自己的日记里写道 |
[34:53] | “Maybe I’ll beat him on his head with a baseball bat.” | “或许我会用棒球棒砸他的脑袋” |
[34:58] | Gee, I wonder what happened. | 天呀,我真想知道到底发生了什么 |
[35:05] | I don’t know about you, but I’m getting damn sick | 我不知道你们怎么想,但我真是受够了 |
[35:07] | and tired of waking up, | 都懒得醒过来 |
[35:08] | reading in the paper | 在报纸上读到 |
[35:10] | of yet another innocent man | 又一个无辜的死囚因DNA证据而洗脱罪名 |
[35:12] | on death row being cleared by DNA. | 又一个无辜的死囚因DNA证据而洗脱罪名 |
[35:14] | How the hell do we put so many people on death row | 我们怎么会把这么多人 |
[35:17] | for crimes they didn’t commit? | 错关在死囚牢房里? |
[35:18] | I figure it’s gotta be the juries | 我想应该是陪审团 |
[35:20] | not doing their jobs. | 没有尽到他们的职责 |
[35:23] | I’m sure all these suspects looked guilty. | 我相信所有这些嫌疑犯看起来都有罪 |
[35:27] | If they didn’t look guilty, | 如果他们看起来不像有罪的话 |
[35:28] | they wouldn’t be on trial. | 他们不会出庭受审 |
[35:29] | Everybody who gets arrested looks guilty. | 每个被逮捕的人都是看上去有罪的 |
[35:32] | The police are even sure of it, | 警察甚至是很肯定他们有罪的 |
[35:34] | but it’s up to the jury | 但这取决于陪审团 |
[35:35] | to make sure they prove it | 确信他们能超越合理怀疑地证实罪名成立 |
[35:37] | beyond all reasonable doubt | 确信他们能超越合理怀疑地证实罪名成立 |
[35:39] | because this is the United States of America, | 因为这是美利坚合众国 |
[35:41] | and in the United States of America, | 而在美利坚和众国 |
[35:43] | we don’t lock people up, | 除非政府尽到了举证义务 |
[35:45] | especially for murder, | 否则我们不会把人关起来 |
[35:46] | unless the government satisfies that burden. | 尤其是对谋杀犯而言 |
[35:49] | Now, once we say, | 现在,一旦我们说 |
[35:51] | “Okay, you don’t have to prove it | “算了,没必要提供超越合理怀疑的证据” |
[35:52] | beyond all reasonable doubt,” | “算了,没必要提供超越合理怀疑的证据” |
[35:54] | then the innocent, including you | 那么,无辜者,包括你和我 |
[35:56] | and me, could get locked up. | 就可能被关起来 |
[35:57] | That’s not acceptable | 这在美利坚合众国是不能被接受的 |
[35:59] | in the United States of America, | 这在美利坚合众国是不能被接受的 |
[36:00] | is it? | 能吗? |
[36:01] | Is it? | 能吗? |
[36:03] | Now, look what we have here. | 现在来看看我们所面临的 |
[36:05] | My client looks guilty, | 我的当事人看上去是有罪的 |
[36:07] | like Ms. Gamble said. | 如Gamble女士所言 |
[36:08] | They got prints, they got fibers, | 他们有指纹和织物纤维的证据 |
[36:10] | hair on the bat, | 球棒上的头发 |
[36:11] | a diary. | 还有一本日记 |
[36:12] | A witness sees the car. | 一个看到了她的车的证人 |
[36:14] | She looks damn guilty, | 她看起来确实是有罪的 |
[36:15] | but when you stop, | 但当你们停下来再想想看 |
[36:16] | she was there the day before. | 她在案发前一天在现场 |
[36:18] | Of course her prints | 她的指纹和衣物纤维理所当然到处都是 |
[36:20] | and fibers are all over. | 理所当然到处都是 |
[36:21] | A bloody bat falls on the carpet, | 带血的球棒在地摊上 |
[36:23] | stuff’s gonna stick to it, | 自然会沾上些东西 |
[36:25] | including hair, | 包括头发 |
[36:26] | and as for the car being seen that night, | 至于当晚有人看到了她的车 |
[36:28] | yeah, by some nut who thinks | 是呀,那是被某个以为自己来世 |
[36:30] | she’ll come back as a cat. | 会变成一只猫投胎的疯子说的 |
[36:32] | These aren’t the kind of building blocks we use | 这些不是我们用来剥夺某人余生自由的基础要素 |
[36:35] | to deny a person her freedom | 这些不是我们用来剥夺某人余生自由的基础要素 |
[36:37] | for the rest of her natural life, | 这些不是我们用来剥夺某人余生自由的基础要素 |
[36:39] | not in the United States of America. | 在美利坚合众国不是这样的 |
[36:44] | Now, as for the diary, | 至于那本日记 |
[36:49] | you think she’s the first woman | 你们认为她会是 |
[36:51] | to ever think about killing her lover? | 第一个想要杀了情人的女人吗? |
[36:53] | Come on. | 得了吧 |
[36:54] | Women think about it three, | 这事女人们一天会想好几次 |
[36:56] | four times a day. | 这事女人们一天会想好几次 |
[36:57] | She gets punished | 就因为她把这想法写在本上 |
[36:58] | for what she thinks | 她就要因此而受到惩罚? |
[37:00] | because she writes it down in a book? | 她就要因此而受到惩罚? |
[37:02] | That’s not what we do in this country. | 我们在这个国家不是这样做的 |
[37:05] | We demand proof, | 我们需要的是证据 |
[37:06] | and it isn’t there. | 但并不存在 |
[37:07] | My client took a sleeping pill. | 我的当事人吃了安眠药 |
[37:11] | That was never contradicted. | 从来没有人对此反驳过 |
[37:13] | She was never seen leaving her house. | 没有人看到她离开家 |
[37:15] | It’s possible that somebody else came | 也有可能是别的人进屋杀人 |
[37:19] | into that house. | 也有可能是别的人进屋杀人 |
[37:20] | Detective McGuire couldn’t rule it out. | McGuire警探也不能排除这个可能 |
[37:22] | Did you hear him rule it out? | 你们听到他排除这种可能了吗? |
[37:23] | No. That somebody could have been Sophie Taylor | 没有,而别的人可能是Sophie Taylor |
[37:26] | or Marge Fennell | 或者是Marge Fennell |
[37:28] | or whatever the hell her name is. | 管她叫什么名字也好 |
[37:30] | She’s a liar. | 她是个骗子 |
[37:30] | She had keys to the car, | 她有车钥匙 |
[37:32] | keys to the victim’s house, | 受害人家的钥匙 |
[37:34] | struck me as a wacko. | 给我的印象是个怪人 |
[37:35] | Who among us doesn’t have doubts about her? | 我们当中有谁不怀疑她呢? |
[37:41] | Now, you can think my client is guilty. | 你可以认为我的当事人有罪 |
[37:45] | That’s reasonable. | 这是合理的 |
[37:47] | The point is, | 关键是 |
[37:48] | you can’t know it. | 你们并不能确定 |
[37:51] | You can’t be convinced | 你们无法超越合理怀疑地定罪 |
[37:52] | beyond all reasonable doubt. | 你们无法超越合理怀疑地定罪 |
[37:54] | And failing that high standard of proof, | 如果没有高标准的证据 |
[37:58] | Ms. Ray must be presumed innocent. | Ray女士必须假设是无辜的 |
[38:05] | Because, after all, | 因为,毕竟 |
[38:09] | this is the United States of America. | 这是在美利坚合众国 |
[38:18] | Donnell, Dole, whatever. | Donnell, Dole。。。随便了 (Dole现在不这个事务所了) |
[38:20] | Hey, Ellenor. | 嘿,Ellenor |
[38:21] | Oops. | 哎呀 |
[38:23] | Now? | 现在吗? |
[38:24] | All ready? | 好了吗? |
[38:26] | Okay. | 好的 |
[38:29] | Jury’s back. | 陪审团回来了 |
[38:30] | They were out 16 minutes. | 他们只讨论了16分钟 |
[38:33] | What the hell? | 见鬼了 |
[38:34] | What’s wrong? Call Eugene. | - 怎么了? - 给Eugene打电话 |
[38:35] | HATCHER: I can’t. They’re in court. | 打不了,他们在出庭 |
[38:36] | Cellphones are off. | 手机关了 |
[38:57] | Madame Foreperson, | 陪审团主席女士 |
[38:58] | has the jury reached a verdict? | 你们达成裁决了吗? |
[39:00] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人 |
[39:01] | Will the defendant please rise? | 请被告起立 |
[39:06] | What say you? | 请宣布裁决吧 |
[39:07] | In the matter of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts | 马萨诸塞州 |
[39:09] | versus Cassie Ray, | 诉Cassie Ray |
[39:11] | on the charge of murder in the first degree, | 一级谋杀罪 |
[39:14] | we find the defendant, Cassie Ray, | 我们裁定被告,Cassie Ray |
[39:17] | guilty. | 罪名成立 |
[39:18] | PATRICK: Members of the jury are dismissed | 陪审团可以解散了 |
[39:20] | with the thanks of the court. | 法庭感谢你们 |
[39:21] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[39:26] | So I go to prison? | 我要去坐牢吗? |
[39:27] | FRUTT: You’re gonna go back into custody, | 你会被继续收押的 |
[39:29] | and they’re gonna hold you there till sentencing. | 直到量刑宣判时 |
[39:31] | We’re gonna go over any grounds for appeals, | 我们会仔细考虑所有的上诉理由 |
[39:34] | and we’re gonna talk to you tomorrow. | 我们明天会找你谈 |
[39:38] | Just hang in there, Cassie. | 坚持住,Cassie |
[39:40] | We’re gonna talk to you tomorrow. | 我们明天会找你谈的 |
[39:44] | I never thought that I’d feel sorry | 我从来没想到我会为了 |
[39:46] | for somebody who bashed a man | 某个拿球棒打死一个男人的人 |
[39:47] | to death with a baseball bat. | 而感到难过 |
[39:51] | What happened? | 怎么样? |
[39:54] | We lost. | 我们输了 |
[39:55] | STRINGER: I found out who she is. | 我查出来她是谁了 |
[39:57] | Who? STRINGER: Sophie Taylor. | - 你说谁? |
[39:59] | Fennell is her maiden name. | Fennell是她的娘家姓 |
[40:00] | I found out who she is. | 我查出来她是谁了 |
[40:09] | Now what? | 又怎么了? |
[40:12] | Ryan Hunter was run over seven years ago | Ryan Hunter七年前在新泽西被撞死了 |
[40:14] | in New Jersey. | Ryan Hunter七年前在新泽西被撞死了 |
[40:15] | Cassie was prosecuted and acquitted. | Cassie被起诉并无罪释放 |
[40:18] | Mrs. Hunter had a breakdown | Hunter夫人精神崩溃 |
[40:19] | and was institutionalized. | 并被送到社会收容机构 |
[40:22] | She was released three years ago | 她三年前被放了出来 |
[40:23] | and changed her name to Sophie Taylor. | 改名为Sophie Taylor |
[40:28] | You became a nanny | 你做了你丈夫情妇的保姆 |
[40:30] | for your husband’s mistress. | 你做了你丈夫情妇的保姆 |
[40:34] | Small world. | 这世界真小 |
[40:36] | Did she kill your husband or did you, | 是她杀了你丈夫,还是你 |
[40:38] | framing her? | 陷害了她? |
[40:39] | Seven years is a long time | 七年对于回忆来说是段很长的时间 |
[40:42] | to remember. | 七年对于回忆来说是段很长的时间 |
[40:44] | I assume Cassie doesn’t know | 我想Cassie不知道 |
[40:46] | who you really are. | 你到底是谁 |
[40:47] | Can I be there when you tell her? | 你告诉她这事的时候,我能在场吗? |
[40:50] | I would really love to see her face. | 我真的很想看到她的表情 |
[40:52] | YOUNG: You killed Jason Scott, | 你杀了Jason Scott |
[40:54] | set yourself up as a defense witness | 你把你自己设计成辩方证人 |
[40:56] | knowing they’d blow you apart on the stand. | 明知控方会当场驳倒你 |
[40:58] | Oh, now, come on. | 哦,别扯了 |
[41:00] | That’s a bit risky. | 那有些冒险吧 |
[41:02] | Why would I take such a chance? | 我为什么要冒这个险? |
[41:05] | Because you’re insane. | 因为你疯了 |
[41:07] | And just like Helen Gamble said, | 正如Helen Gamble说的 |
[41:10] | revenge is a great motivator. | 复仇是最大的动机 |
[41:28] | We’ll never get her out, you know? | 我们永远也救不了她,知道吗? |
[41:30] | The evidence, | 这些证据 |
[41:33] | a conviction. | 已被定罪 |
[41:39] | We’ll never get her out. | 我们永远也救不了她 |
[41:59] | Counsel? | 律师? |
[42:03] | Know what’ll happen next? | 知道接下来会怎么样吗? |
[42:06] | An Islamic is going to say something anti-American. | 一个伊斯兰教徒会说一些反美的话 |
[42:10] | He’ll be shot dead, | 他会被枪杀的 |
[42:12] | and we’re going to see | 我们将会看到 |
[42:13] | a new insanity defense. | 一场新的荒唐的辩护 |
[42:15] | It’ll be called “9/11 rage.” | 可以称之为“911之怒” |
[42:20] | I promise you, | 我向你保证 |
[42:22] | it’s coming. | 这就要发生了 |
[42:24] | 9/11 rage as diminished capacity, | 911之怒就像行为能力下降 |
[42:26] | and the real perversity, | 而真正的变态 |
[42:31] | it’s a winner, | 才是赢家 |
[42:34] | a sure winner. | 绝对的赢家 |