| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:03] | BERLUTI: I thought they said 9:00. | 我以为他们说的是九点 | 
| [00:04] | YOUNG: They did. | 说的是九点 | 
| [00:05] | WASHINGTON: Do we really think | 你真的觉得 | 
| [00:07] | they’re going to settle now, | 在出庭前十二小时 | 
| [00:08] | 12 hours before we start? | 他们现在打算和解吗? | 
| [00:09] | That’s when they all settle. | 那时他们才谈妥 | 
| [00:12] | BERLUTI: Maybe we should put our jackets on. | 也许我们应该穿上夹克 | 
| [00:14] | I read an article, | 我读过一篇文章 | 
| [00:15] | lawyers look more formidable | 说律师们穿上外套 | 
| [00:16] | in their coats. | 更令人敬畏 | 
| [00:17] | Jimmy, they’re coming in here | Jimmy,他们来这儿 | 
| [00:19] | to either settle or not. | 要么和解要么不和解 | 
| [00:20] | I doubt it’ll turn on whether or not | 我怀疑那不会因为 | 
| [00:22] | we’re wearing jackets. | 你是否穿上夹克而有所改变 | 
| [00:24] | They’re here. | 他们来了 | 
| [00:25] | Show them in. | 带他们进来 | 
| [00:35] | Sorry we’re a little late. | 抱歉,我们有点迟到了 | 
| [00:36] | It’s okay. | 没关系 | 
| [00:38] | Please. | 请坐 | 
| [00:49] | We’re declining to make an offer. | 我们拒绝开出条件 | 
| [00:54] | Any offer? | 什么都没有? | 
| [00:56] | Look, how you got past Summary Judgment | 听着,你们是怎么通过了即决审理的 | 
| [00:58] | still remains a mystery. | 至今仍是个迷 | 
| [00:59] | The point is, we did. | 关键是,我们通过了 | 
| [01:00] | Eugene, you would have rejected the number | Eugene,你反正会拒绝 | 
| [01:03] | we were toying with anyway. | 我随意提出的一个和解金额的 | 
| [01:05] | But the feeling is that | 但我的想法是 | 
| [01:06] | the precedent of any number | 不管以什么金额开了这个先例 | 
| [01:08] | would be exponentially devastating. | 都会是成指数级别的破坏力 | 
| [01:10] | If every problem drinker starts suing us– | 如果每个酒鬼都开始起诉我们。。。 | 
| [01:12] | WASHINGTON: This problem drinker is dead. | 可这个酒鬼死了 | 
| [01:14] | Rebecca, it’s not that we don’t sympathize. | Rebecca,不是我们没同情心 | 
| [01:16] | WASHINGTON: You just won’t cough up a nickel. | 你就是一毛不拔 | 
| [01:17] | Look me in the eye and tell me | 你实话实说 | 
| [01:19] | that you would advise my client to settle here. | 换了你们会建议我的当事人达成和解吗 | 
| [01:21] | All right, look, | 好了,这样吧 | 
| [01:22] | you came all the way over here at 9:30 at night, | 你们晚上九点半一路赶过来 | 
| [01:25] | is there room for negotiation | 是还有商量的余地呢 | 
| [01:26] | or are you just messengers for bad news? | 还是只为传达这个坏消息? | 
| [01:29] | The latter. | 是后者 | 
| [01:32] | $125,000, sealed, | 十二万五千,和解协议保密 | 
| [01:34] | no admission of liability. | 不用承认责任 | 
| [01:36] | We can’t on principle. | 我们原则上不能接受 | 
| [01:37] | This was a kid. | 这是个孩子 | 
| [01:39] | He died of alcoholism. | 他死于酒精中毒 | 
| [01:41] | Your client bears some responsibility, | 你的当事人有责任 | 
| [01:43] | and you won’t take it on principle? | 你原则上不会接受吗? | 
| [01:45] | Okay, look, this need not to get ugly. | 那好,听着,不必把这事搞得太难看了 | 
| [01:48] | We’ll see you tomorrow. | 我们明天见吧 | 
| [01:50] | Do the research on us, Mark, would you? | 对我们有所了解吗,Mark,有吗? | 
| [01:52] | Meaning? | 你是指? | 
| [01:53] | When we try cases, | 我们办的案子 | 
| [01:56] | it gets ugly. | 就会搞得很难看 | 
| [01:58] | Eugene, this isn’t criminal. | Eugene,这不是刑事诉讼 | 
| [01:59] | This is a civil case. | 这是民事诉讼 | 
| [02:01] | Lawyers tend to be– | 律师们倾向于。。。 | 
| [02:03] | what’s the word? | 怎么说来着? | 
| [02:04] | Civil. | 文明点 | 
| [02:12] | I don’t think you scared them. | 我觉得你没把他们吓住 | 
| [03:07] | JOSHUA: He began to have a problem in high school | 他在高三的那一年 | 
| [03:09] | in his senior year. | 就开始有这问题了 | 
| [03:10] | BERLUTI: A drinking problem? | 酗酒问题? | 
| [03:11] | JOSHUA: Yes, I mean, it wasn’t that he was | 对,我是说,他不是非常喜欢聚会 | 
| [03:13] | terribly into parties. | 对,我是说,他不是非常喜欢聚会 | 
| [03:15] | Michael was an athlete. | Michael是个运动员 | 
| [03:17] | But it started with beer | 但开始是喝啤酒 | 
| [03:18] | and it sort of shifted into hard alcohol. | 后来变成了烈性酒 | 
| [03:21] | His mother and I got him | 他妈妈和我让他 | 
| [03:22] | into a treatment program. | 参加治疗 | 
| [03:24] | Was this successful? | 治疗成功了吗? | 
| [03:26] | Yes, for a year or two. | 有一到两年是的 | 
| [03:28] | But then in college, | 但最后在大学里 | 
| [03:31] | he got into the frat scene. | 他加入了兄弟会的圈子里 | 
| [03:32] | There was, uh… | 那是,呃。。。 | 
| [03:34] | What happened? | 怎么了? | 
| [03:35] | JOSHUA: His grades suffered. | 他的成绩很差 | 
| [03:36] | He didn’t graduate. | 没有毕业 | 
| [03:38] | His friends abandoned him. | 他的朋友抛弃了他 | 
| [03:40] | We did an intervention in 1999. | 在1999年我们对此强行干预 | 
| [03:43] | In April 2000, he was released. | 2000年的四月,他出院了 | 
| [03:46] | He spiraled down from there. | 从此迅速堕落 | 
| [03:48] | He was living on the streets. | 他浪迹街头 | 
| [03:51] | He died of alcohol poisoning | 那年春季他死于酒精中毒 | 
| [03:53] | that spring. | 那年春季他死于酒精中毒 | 
| [03:54] | And you’re blaming Portiss Brewery | 而你把你儿子的死 | 
| [03:56] | for your son’s death? | 归咎于Portiss酿酒厂? | 
| [03:58] | He primarily drank their beer | 在高中的时候他主要喝他们的啤酒 | 
| [04:00] | in high school. | 在高中的时候他主要喝他们的啤酒 | 
| [04:01] | I’m certainly aware that there were other beers, | 我当然知道还有别的啤酒 | 
| [04:03] | but for the most part, | 但在很大程度上 | 
| [04:05] | it was Portiss. | 是Portiss的啤酒 | 
| [04:07] | Did he have other difficulties? | 他还有其他的麻烦吗? | 
| [04:09] | None. | 没有 | 
| [04:10] | Michael was an athlete. | Michael是个运动员 | 
| [04:11] | He admired athletes. | 他钦佩运动员们 | 
| [04:12] | He watched all those beer commercials | 他看了他们在运动会期间 | 
| [04:14] | they run during the games. | 播放的所有啤酒广告 | 
| [04:16] | He saw his favorite ballplayers | 他看到了他最喜欢的球手 | 
| [04:18] | endorsing Portiss and other beers | 代言Portiss和其他牌子的啤酒 | 
| [04:19] | like they were nutrition drinks. | 就像那些是营养饮料似的 | 
| [04:21] | These companies targeted my son | 这些公司把我儿子 | 
| [04:23] | and other young kids. | 和其他年轻人当成目标 | 
| [04:24] | Drinking is cool. | 喝酒很酷 | 
| [04:25] | Drinking will get you girls. | 喝酒能泡到妞 | 
| [04:29] | Well, it is not cool. | 这一点也不酷 | 
| [04:31] | Drinking killed my son. | 喝酒害死了我的儿子 | 
| [04:34] | Is it your testimony, sir, | 你的作证是说 | 
| [04:36] | your son thought beer | 你儿子开始喝啤酒的时候 | 
| [04:37] | was a nutritional drink | 以为那是一种营养饮料? | 
| [04:38] | when he began consuming it? | 以为那是一种营养饮料? | 
| [04:40] | That question reflects the very arrogance | 这个问题反映出你的当事人的一种 | 
| [04:42] | of your client, | 非常傲慢的态度 | 
| [04:42] | who refuses to take responsibility | 他们拒绝承担 | 
| [04:44] | for contributing to a young man’s death. | 促使一个年轻人死亡的责任 | 
| [04:47] | Do you take any responsibility, Mr. Berry? | Berry先生,你有什么责任吗? | 
| [04:50] | Your son was underage, | 你儿子还未成年 | 
| [04:53] | drinking illegally. | 非法饮酒 | 
| [04:57] | Let me ask you, do you drink? | 我来问问你,你喝酒吗? | 
| [04:58] | In moderation. | 适量的 | 
| [05:00] | Responsibly? | 理性的? | 
| [05:01] | Yes. | 对 | 
| [05:02] | GRUNDEL: Your son was raised in a household | 你的儿子是在一个 | 
| [05:04] | where his parents drank moderately | 家长适量地和理性地饮酒的家庭里长大的吗? | 
| [05:06] | and responsibly? | 家长适量地和理性地饮酒的家庭里长大的吗? | 
| [05:07] | Yes. | 对 | 
| [05:09] | And when your son entered | 当你的儿子开始 | 
| [05:10] | his high school years, | 他的高中学年的时候 | 
| [05:11] | did you ever talk to your son | 你和你儿子谈过 | 
| [05:13] | about the dangers of drinking? | 关于喝酒的危险吗? | 
| [05:14] | Many times. | 谈过很多次 | 
| [05:16] | You feel you adequately informed him | 你觉得你充分地告诉了他 | 
| [05:18] | as to all of the risks? | 所有的风险了吗? | 
| [05:19] | Look, no matter what parents say, | 听着,不管家长说什么 | 
| [05:22] | it is hard to compete with the images of fun | 很难胜过酒类行业 | 
| [05:25] | and social acceptance | 所推销的那种 | 
| [05:26] | that is being marketed | 饮酒是享乐和被社会认同的印象 | 
| [05:27] | by the alcohol industry. | 饮酒是享乐和被社会认同的印象 | 
| [05:28] | GRUNDEL: My question is, | 我问的是 | 
| [05:30] | do you feel you adequately | 你觉得自己 | 
| [05:31] | informed your son | 将饮酒的潜在风险 | 
| [05:33] | as to the potential risks | 充分地告知了你的儿子了吗? | 
| [05:35] | of consuming alcohol? | 充分地告知了你的儿子了吗? | 
| [05:37] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [05:39] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你,先生 | 
| [05:41] | And I’m very sorry for your loss. | 对你失去亲人深表哀悼 | 
| [05:52] | I thought alcohol companies | 我以为酒类公司 | 
| [05:54] | were exempt from these lawsuits. | 可以免于这些诉讼 | 
| [05:55] | No one is exempt from fraud. | 没有人会因欺诈而躲过起诉的 | 
| [05:57] | They lie when they say | 他们在宣称没有向青少年推销的时候撒了谎 | 
| [05:57] | they don’t market to kids. | 他们在宣称没有向青少年推销的时候撒了谎 | 
| [06:01] | HATCHER: Can I help you? | 有什么事吗? | 
| [06:01] | Yes, I’m looking for Ellenor Frutt. | 我找Ellenor Frutt | 
| [06:04] | I’m Ellenor Frutt. | 我就是 | 
| [06:05] | Hello, my name is Stephen Marshall. | 你好,我是Stephen Marshall | 
| [06:08] | I’d like to hire you. | 我想雇你当我的律师 | 
| [06:10] | Is there someplace we can talk? | 能找个地方谈谈吗? | 
| [06:21] | I guess I should just get right to it. | 我想我应该开门见山吧 | 
| [06:24] | I’m the warden of Goffstown Correctional facility | 我是新罕布什尔州Goffstown管教所的典狱长 | 
| [06:26] | in New Hampshire. | 我是新罕布什尔州Goffstown管教所的典狱长 | 
| [06:28] | One of my inmates is Denise Freeman. | 我那里有个囚犯叫Denise Freeman | 
| [06:30] | She shot two young boys | 她射杀了两个 | 
| [06:32] | who were playing in the park. | 在公园里玩的男孩 | 
| [06:34] | She’s scheduled to be executed next week. | 她计划下周执行死刑 | 
| [06:37] | It’s the first execution in New Hampshire | 这是多年来新罕布什尔州的第一次死刑处决 | 
| [06:39] | in many years. | 这是多年来新罕布什尔州的第一次死刑处决 | 
| [06:40] | So, maybe you read about it. | 也许你从报纸上看到了 | 
| [06:42] | I hadn’t actually. | 我真没有看到 | 
| [06:44] | How can I help? | 我能做什么呢? | 
| [06:44] | I’d like you to stop it. | 我希望你去阻止 | 
| [06:47] | Her execution? | 阻止对她的处决? | 
| [06:48] | Yes. | 对 | 
| [06:50] | I read where you got a death sentence | 我在报纸上看到你们在几年前 | 
| [06:51] | overturned several years ago. | 推翻了一起死刑判决 | 
| [06:54] | I drove down here on the chance | 我开车来这里是为了碰碰运气 | 
| [06:56] | that you could possibly work your magic again. | 也许你们能再次施展魔法 | 
| [06:59] | You’re the warden trying to halt | 而你是一个试图阻止执行死刑典狱长 | 
| [07:01] | the execution. | 而你是一个试图阻止执行死刑典狱长 | 
| [07:02] | Yes. | 对 | 
| [07:04] | Are you against the death penalty? | 你是反对死刑吗? | 
| [07:06] | No, not at all. No. | 不,不全是 | 
| [07:07] | In fact, I think we should employ it more often. | 实际上,我认为死刑应该更多一些 | 
| [07:11] | But we shouldn’t be killing Denise Freeman. | 但不应该处死Denise Freeman | 
| [07:14] | She’s not the same person | 她不再是那个犯罪的人了 | 
| [07:15] | who committed those crimes. | 她不再是那个犯罪的人了 | 
| [07:18] | I know they all claim that, | 我知道犯人们都会这么声称的 | 
| [07:19] | but she really isn’t. | 但她真的不是了 | 
| [07:23] | That’s why I drove down here | 这就是为什么我开车到这里 | 
| [07:25] | to convince you to help save | 说服你去挽救一个 | 
| [07:27] | an extraordinary woman. | 不同寻常的女人的原因 | 
| [07:34] | Oh, don’t you even dare. | 噢,想都别想 | 
| [07:35] | This is Sheila Berry. | 这是Sheila Berry | 
| [07:36] | She was just awarded”Sister of the year.” | 她刚刚被授予“年度最佳姐妹”奖 | 
| [07:38] | Shut up! North America only. | - 闭嘴吧! - 只是北美区的 | 
| [07:40] | She competes for world “Sister of the year” next month. | 她下个月角逐世界“年度最佳姐妹” | 
| [07:42] | Yeah, and I score | 没错,而且我因为 | 
| [07:42] | special endurance points | 有你这么个弟弟 | 
| [07:43] | for having you as my little brother. | 在承受力方面得到了特别加分 | 
| [07:45] | Let me tell you a little bit about Sheila. | 让我告诉你一点Sheila的事 | 
| [07:46] | Let’s not. She makes up her own words | - 别说了 - 她玩填字游戏的时候 | 
| [07:48] | playing scrabble. | 自己造词 | 
| [07:49] | She– No, I don’t. | - 她。。。 - 不,我没有 | 
| [07:55] | That was your brother, Michael? | Michael,那是你的弟弟吗? | 
| [07:56] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [07:57] | Does that video fairly reflect his personality? | 这个录像充分反映了他的个性吗? | 
| [08:01] | He had an amazing sense of humor. | 他有令人惊叹的幽默感 | 
| [08:03] | He was shy. You don’t get that from the video. | 他很腼腆,这一点你从这个录像里看不到 | 
| [08:06] | He was very shy. | 他非常腼腆 | 
| [08:07] | I think that was one of the reasons | 我觉得这就是他在聚会上喝酒的原因之一 | 
| [08:08] | he drank at parties. | 我觉得这就是他在聚会上喝酒的原因之一 | 
| [08:10] | Socially, he was a little uncomfortable | 在社交方面,他在了解别人之前 | 
| [08:12] | until he got to know people. | 有点放不开 | 
| [08:14] | When was the last time | 你最后一次看见你弟弟 | 
| [08:16] | you saw your brother? | 是什么时候? | 
| [08:18] | About a month before he died. | 他死前一个月 | 
| [08:20] | Where did you see him? | 你在哪儿看见他的? | 
| [08:21] | My apartment. | 我的公寓 | 
| [08:23] | He came… | 他来。。。 | 
| [08:26] | to ask me for money. | 找我要点钱 | 
| [08:28] | He was living on the streets. | 他流浪街头 | 
| [08:31] | Did you loan him money? | 你借给他钱了吗? | 
| [08:32] | I told him he could move in with me | 我告诉他如果愿意的话 | 
| [08:34] | if he wanted to, | 可以跟我一起住 | 
| [08:36] | but I wasn’t gonna give him money | 但是我没给他钱 | 
| [08:38] | so he could just go buy liquor. | 他只会拿去买酒喝 | 
| [08:41] | I begged him to get help | 我恳求他接受帮助 | 
| [08:45] | but he just walked away. | 但他扭头就走了 | 
| [08:50] | That was the last time I ever saw him. | 那是我最后一次看到他 | 
| [08:53] | I have nothing further. | 我没有要问的了 | 
| [09:07] | No questions, Your Honor. | 控方没有问题要问,法官大人 | 
| [09:13] | It isn’t exactly great timing for us | 对我们来说现在的确不是 | 
| [09:15] | to be taking a pro bono case. | 无偿承接一个案子的好时机 | 
| [09:17] | I’m not saying I definitely want to take it on, | 我不是说我一定要接这个案子 | 
| [09:20] | but… | 但是。。。 | 
| [09:22] | I’d like to meet with her, | 我想见见她 | 
| [09:24] | see who she is, what she is. | 看看她是谁,是什么情况 | 
| [09:26] | She’s in New Hampshire? | 她在新罕布什尔州? | 
| [09:27] | Yes. | 对 | 
| [09:28] | I thought I would drive up there | 我想我今天下午 | 
| [09:29] | with Jamie this afternoon. | 和Jamie一起开车去那里 | 
| [09:31] | Evidently, she runs this “Talk straight” program | 据说,她为有问题的孩子们 | 
| [09:33] | for troubled kids that… | 办了一个“实话实说”的节目 | 
| [09:36] | the warden came here personally. | 是典狱长亲自来的 | 
| [09:39] | I really think I should go. | 我认为我确实应该去一趟 | 
| [09:41] | I’ll say yes with one word of caution, | 我同意但要给你一个忠告 | 
| [09:44] | protect yourself. | 保护好你自己 | 
| [09:46] | I’m sure there’ll either be a guard | 我肯定那儿有警卫 | 
| [09:47] | or a partition or– | 或者一个隔板。。。 | 
| [09:49] | I’m not talking physically. | 我不是说身体上的 | 
| [09:51] | You’re about to emotionally invest | 你会把你的感情倾注在 | 
| [09:53] | in somebody who, odds are, | 一个可能一周内就会死的人身上 | 
| [09:54] | will be dead in a week. | 一个可能一周内就会死的人身上 | 
| [09:57] | I won’t invest emotionally. | 我不会倾注感情的 | 
| [09:59] | Right. | 很好 | 
| [10:01] | Protect yourself. | 保护好自己 | 
| [10:10] | BLOOMBERG: The cause of death was alcohol poisoning. | 死因是酒精中毒 | 
| [10:13] | Doctor, Michael Berry went in and out | 医生,Michael Berry参加过 | 
| [10:15] | of many treatment programs. | 很多治疗方案 | 
| [10:17] | Why couldn’t he be cured? | 为什么他没有被治愈? | 
| [10:19] | Because he was addicted. | 因为他有瘾了 | 
| [10:21] | You mean, he lacked the will to stop? | 你是说,他没有戒酒的意愿? | 
| [10:23] | BLOOMBERG: That oversimplifies it. | 这样说过于简单了 | 
| [10:25] | People think alcoholics | 人们认为酗酒者 | 
| [10:27] | lack willpower. | 缺乏意志力 | 
| [10:27] | I wish it were that easy. | 我真希望这么简单就好了 | 
| [10:29] | The brain chemistry is changed. | 因为大脑的化学性质发生了变化 | 
| [10:32] | Telling a severely impaired alcoholic | 告诉一个酗酒的人别喝酒 | 
| [10:34] | not to drink is like telling someone | 就好比告诉一个人 | 
| [10:35] | not to go to the bathroom. | 别去上厕所一样 | 
| [10:37] | We’re talking about an overwhelming urge | 我们所谈的是与身体机能 | 
| [10:40] | related to a bodily function. | 有关的强烈的欲望 | 
| [10:42] | Come on, doctor, it’s not like | 噢,医生,看起来 | 
| [10:43] | he had no choice here. | 他并不是没有选择余地的呀 | 
| [10:45] | He chose to drink initially. | 他最初选择了喝酒 | 
| [10:46] | BLOOMBERG: Of course he did, | 当然了 | 
| [10:47] | like smokers choose to smoke, | 就像吸烟的人选择吸烟一样 | 
| [10:49] | like people choose to use cocaine. | 或者像人们选择使用可卡因一样 | 
| [10:51] | But once the addiction took hold, | 但是一旦酒瘾发作 | 
| [10:53] | he was robbed of his free will. | 他的自主意志就被剥夺了 | 
| [10:56] | That kid was dying on the street, | 那个孩子死在街头 | 
| [10:59] | homeless, for God’s sake. | 无家可归,上帝啊 | 
| [11:00] | Does anybody think he chose that? | 有人会认为那是他选择的吗? | 
| [11:04] | GRUNDEL: Many alcoholics do recover. | 许多酗酒者确实康复了 | 
| [11:07] | As do many smokers. | 和许多吸烟者一样 | 
| [11:09] | That doesn’t mean the addiction’s not real. | 这并不意味着上瘾不是真的 | 
| [11:11] | But, doctor, you make it sound like | 但是,医生,你让这听起来像是 | 
| [11:12] | an involuntary affliction, | 一种非自愿的折磨 | 
| [11:14] | when, in fact, as you– I make it sound like | – 实际上,当你。。。 – 我是让这听起来像是 | 
| [11:16] | a disease, Counsel. | 一种病,律师 | 
| [11:17] | The very definition of disease | 疾病的真正定义 | 
| [11:19] | is an involuntary disability, | 就是一种非自愿的残疾 | 
| [11:22] | which Michael Berry had. | Michael Berry就是这样的 | 
| [11:23] | May I be allowed to finish my questions? | 能让我问完吗? | 
| [11:25] | BLOOMBERG: You may, but if you wrongfully | 你可以,但如果你错误地 | 
| [11:27] | restate my answers, I’ll interrupt. | 重新表述我的话,我就要打断你 | 
| [11:30] | WEEKS: Doctor, this isn’t a rugby match. | 医生,这不是一场橄榄球比赛 | 
| [11:34] | GRUNDEL: What is the likelihood | 如果一个人适量饮酒 | 
| [11:35] | if one drinks moderately | 他或她会喝酒上瘾 | 
| [11:37] | that he or she will become addicted to alcohol? | 的可能性有多大? | 
| [11:39] | I can’t answer that. | 这我回答不了 | 
| [11:41] | No one can. | 没人能回答 | 
| [11:42] | Alcohol affects people differently. | 酒精对人的影响因人而异 | 
| [11:44] | We need to do more studies, | 我们需要做更多的研究 | 
| [11:46] | which they haven’t done. | 目前还没有结论 | 
| [11:47] | GRUNDEL: In your experience, | 根据你的经验 | 
| [11:49] | if someone drinks moderately, | 如果一个人适量饮酒 | 
| [11:51] | how likely is it– | 有多大可能。。。 | 
| [11:52] | It’s extremely likely that young kids | 青少年很可能 | 
| [11:54] | won’t drink moderately– | 不会适量地饮酒。。。 | 
| [11:56] | If a person drinks responsibly | 如果一个人理性和适量地饮酒 | 
| [11:57] | in moderation, | 如果一个人理性和适量地饮酒 | 
| [11:59] | he or she is not likely | 他或她不大可能上瘾吧 | 
| [12:00] | to become addicted. | 他或她不大可能上瘾吧 | 
| [12:03] | That would be fair. | 这样说还算恰当 | 
| [12:06] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 | 
| [12:21] | I need you to look at me, Janice. | 我要你看着我,Janice | 
| [12:32] | You see, we’re on a bit of a time crunch here. | 你知道,我们的时间有点紧 | 
| [12:36] | I’m scheduled to be killed next week. | 我的刑期定在下周 | 
| [12:39] | If I’m gonna help you, | 如果我要帮你 | 
| [12:40] | I need to make fast progress. | 我需要加快进程 | 
| [12:44] | Now, how about we… | 现在,我们 | 
| [12:46] | let that anger give way to greed, then? | 让那愤怒让位于欲望如何? | 
| [12:49] | You will probably be the last person | 你可能会是最后一个 | 
| [12:51] | who gets to talk to me. | 和我交谈的人了 | 
| [12:53] | You could write an article, | 你可以写篇文章 | 
| [12:55] | get paid for it. | 得到报酬 | 
| [12:57] | Lots of good things could come from you | 和我沟通会对你很有益 | 
| [12:59] | talking to me. | 和我沟通会对你很有益 | 
| [13:00] | Janice… | |
| [13:02] | it all starts with your eyes | 只要你能和我 | 
| [13:05] | finding mine. | 开始目光交汇 | 
| [13:15] | MARSHALL: I can’t tell you how many kids | 我无法告诉你她改变了 | 
| [13:16] | whose lives she’s rerouted. | 多少孩子的生活 | 
| [13:19] | She connects with every single one, too. | 她也和每个人都可以建立关系 | 
| [13:22] | She’ll get to this one, too. | 这一个也会的 | 
| [13:23] | You watch. | 你瞧着吧 | 
| [13:24] | All the appeals are exhausted? | 所有的上诉方法都试过了? | 
| [13:26] | MARSHALL: Every one. | 都试过了 | 
| [13:28] | There’s a petition for a stay | 向最高法院提交了一份要求暂缓执行的请愿书 | 
| [13:30] | with the Supreme Court, | 向最高法院提交了一份要求暂缓执行的请愿书 | 
| [13:31] | but that’s not going to happen. | 但那不会有用的 | 
| [13:35] | Look, as I said, | 我说过 | 
| [13:36] | I’m pro-death penalty, | 我赞成死刑 | 
| [13:38] | but this one, | 但这次 | 
| [13:41] | she’s something. | 她不是一般人 | 
| [13:43] | The problem is that I am also a murderer. | 问题是我也是个杀人犯 | 
| [13:47] | At least, I was before I got on the medication. | 至少在我进行药物治疗前是的 | 
| [13:51] | I shot a 13-year-old boy | 我开枪杀了一个在攀爬架上 | 
| [13:53] | playing on a jungle gym, | 玩耍的13岁大的男孩 | 
| [13:55] | and then I pointed the gun | 然后我把枪口转向 | 
| [13:57] | and shot his 11-year-old brother. | 他11岁的弟弟并杀了他 | 
| [14:00] | I was every bit the monster | 检方让我觉得自己是个十足的恶魔 | 
| [14:02] | the prosecution made me out to be. | 检方让我觉得自己是个十足的恶魔 | 
| [14:03] | You need to be clear about that. | 你们必须清楚这一点 | 
| [14:05] | You mentioned medication. | 你提到了药物治疗 | 
| [14:07] | What medication? | 什么药? | 
| [14:08] | I’ve been on a psychotropic cocktail | 在过去的八年里我一直在服用 | 
| [14:10] | for the last eight years. | 一种混合的精神药物 | 
| [14:12] | And before you took it? | 在你吃这些药之前呢? | 
| [14:15] | Monster. | 是个恶魔 | 
| [14:16] | You weren’t listening. | 你没听我说吧 | 
| [14:19] | FRUTT: Did you argue diminished capacity at the trial? | 在庭审过程中你提出了行为能力下降的辩护理由了吗? | 
| [14:22] | Yes, it failed. | 是的,但没有成立 | 
| [14:26] | The jury saw me sane | 陪审团认为我神志正常 | 
| [14:27] | since I was medicated for the trial, also. | 因为我在庭审期间也服用了药物 | 
| [14:30] | Forced? | 是被迫的吗? | 
| [14:31] | Sorry? | 什么? | 
| [14:33] | The medication you took for the trial | 你在庭审期间服药 | 
| [14:34] | was it forced? | 是被迫的吗? | 
| [14:35] | Well it had to be, | 肯定是的 | 
| [14:36] | I had no capacity to consent. | 由不得我 | 
| [14:39] | Why? | 为什么? | 
| [14:39] | I’m just searching for an angle. | 我只是要寻找一个不同的角度 | 
| [14:43] | Well, the insanity one’s been tried. | 呃,那个疯子已经受到审判了 | 
| [14:46] | We need to come up with something else. | 我们需要想些别的事了 | 
| [14:48] | FRUTT: You seem… | 你看起来。。。 | 
| [14:51] | well, most death-row inmates | 呃,大多数死囚 | 
| [14:54] | have a little desperation going, | 都有些绝望 | 
| [14:56] | especially as the day gets closer. | 尤其是在这一天越来越近的时候 | 
| [14:58] | Is there a way you want me to act? | 你是想让我表现得那样吗? | 
| [15:00] | No, but… | 不,但是 | 
| [15:03] | FREEMAN: You know, the funny thing is, | 知道吗,有趣的是 | 
| [15:06] | there’s a calm that comes with it. | 随之而来的是一种宁静 | 
| [15:09] | Actually I’m a prolific worrier. | 我实际上是个多愁善感的人 | 
| [15:12] | But now, you know, | 但现在 | 
| [15:15] | I’m not afraid of getting cancer, | 我不怕患上癌症 | 
| [15:18] | financial security, | 不怕财务保障问题 | 
| [15:20] | problems in the Middle East. | 也不操心中东局势 | 
| [15:22] | None of that gets to me. | 没有什么会影响我 | 
| [15:25] | I–I’m gonna be dead in a week. | 我。。。我一周内就要死了 | 
| [15:28] | There’s a calm that comes. | 宁静就要来临了 | 
| [15:34] | Underneath the cool. | 归于沉寂 | 
| [15:39] | I’m gonna be dead in a week. | 我一周内就要死了 | 
| [15:41] | Do I really need to make | 我真的有必要 | 
| [15:42] | a showing of desperation? | 表现出绝望吗? | 
| [15:49] | PICKFORD: Alcohol addiction | 对酒精上瘾 | 
| [15:50] | is both genetic and social. | 既有遗传性又有社会因素 | 
| [15:52] | Some of the predisposition | 这种成瘾有些是 | 
| [15:54] | is in the brain chemistry. | 源自大脑化学物质 | 
| [15:56] | Some of it obviously is environmental, | 但有些显然是受环境和人的生活方式影响的 | 
| [15:58] | how a person lives. | 但有些显然是受环境和人的生活方式影响的 | 
| [15:59] | But, doctor, | 但是,医生 | 
| [16:01] | my question is, | 我的问题是 | 
| [16:03] | is it possible a person | 一个人不过度饮酒的话 | 
| [16:05] | can become addicted to alcohol | 也有对酒精上瘾的可能性? | 
| [16:07] | without drinking excessively? | 也有对酒精上瘾的可能性? | 
| [16:09] | We have not proven it, | 我们还没有证实这一点 | 
| [16:11] | but my opinion is | 但我的看法是 | 
| [16:12] | it’s absolutely possible. | 这绝对有可能 | 
| [16:14] | How? | 怎么讲? | 
| [16:15] | Well, the limbic system in the brain | 酒精中毒患者的 | 
| [16:18] | is very different in people | 大脑边缘系统和常人有很大不同 | 
| [16:20] | who suffer from alcoholism. | 大脑边缘系统和常人有很大不同 | 
| [16:21] | How do we know this? | 我们怎么了解到这一点的呢? | 
| [16:22] | Autopsies. | 通过尸检 | 
| [16:24] | Problem is, we can’t be sure what came first. | 问题是,我们不能确定哪个在先 | 
| [16:27] | Is it the alcoholism that altered the brain | 是酒精中毒改变了大脑 | 
| [16:29] | or is it the abnormal brain | 或者是大脑异常 | 
| [16:32] | that caused the alcoholism? | 导致了酒精中毒? | 
| [16:35] | It may very well be | 很可能是 | 
| [16:36] | that many people are born alcoholics | 有些人生下来就注定会有 | 
| [16:38] | waiting to happen. | 酒精中毒的那一天 | 
| [16:40] | Michael Berry could have been one of them. | Michael Berry可能就是其中之一 | 
| [16:43] | Have you found a single person | 你发现过一个没有过度饮酒 | 
| [16:45] | who became an alcoholic | 你发现过一个没有过度饮酒 | 
| [16:47] | who didn’t drink excessively? | 而酒精中毒的人吗? | 
| [16:48] | No, but the reason he drank heavily | 没有,但是他狂饮的原因 | 
| [16:51] | could be the genetic makeup of his brain. | 可能是因为他大脑的基因组成 | 
| [16:53] | That’s what people don’t get. | 那是人们无从得知的 | 
| [16:55] | Did you study the brain of Michael Berry? | 你研究过Michael Berry的大脑吗? | 
| [16:57] | No, because no autopsy was ever done. | 没有,因为没有做过尸检 | 
| [16:59] | So you have no idea as to the genetic makeup | 那么说你并不了解原告的大脑基因组成? | 
| [17:02] | of the plaintiff? | 那么说你并不了解原告的大脑基因组成? | 
| [17:03] | That’s correct. | 没错 | 
| [17:17] | How’s it going? | 进展如何? | 
| [17:18] | So far, so good. | 到目前为止,还不错 | 
| [17:20] | The case is still a long shot, | 这案子还是没什么把握 | 
| [17:22] | but we’ll see. | 再等等看吧 | 
| [17:29] | Your brother? | 你弟弟? | 
| [17:30] | Yeah. | 是呀 | 
| [17:32] | Hard to believe, almost nine years | 真想不到,从他死到现在快九年了 | 
| [17:34] | since he died. | 真想不到,从他死到现在快九年了 | 
| [17:37] | He was an alcoholic. | 他是个酒鬼 | 
| [17:40] | Is that in play at all? | 这到底有没有影响? | 
| [17:44] | Did you come in to check on the case or me? | 你是来检查这个案子还是来检查我的? | 
| [17:46] | I know you fully appreciate | 我知道你完全认识到 | 
| [17:48] | the difficulty of the case. | 这个案子的难度 | 
| [17:49] | I do wonder whether that appreciation | 我想知道是否这种认识可能会被淡化 | 
| [17:51] | could get blurred | 我想知道是否这种认识可能会被淡化 | 
| [17:53] | by a sense of… | 因为你的一种。。。 | 
| [17:56] | mission. | 使命感 | 
| [17:57] | I’m not on a mission. | 我不是在完成一个使命 | 
| [17:59] | Did alcohol help kill my brother? | 酒精促成了我弟弟的死吗? | 
| [18:01] | Yes, but that hardly puts me in a small group. | 没错,但那很难把我归于一个小社会群体 | 
| [18:04] | Half the adult population in this country | 这个国家一半的成年人口 | 
| [18:06] | has alcoholism in their family. | 的家里有人酗酒 | 
| [18:07] | That’s a point worth arguing. | 这是一个有价值的论点 | 
| [18:09] | I plan to! | 我是打算提出来的! | 
| [18:12] | Eugene, I feel like it’s getting harder | Eugene,我觉得 | 
| [18:13] | and harder for you and me | 你我之间的谈话是越来越难了 | 
| [18:14] | just to have a conversation. | 你我之间的谈话是越来越难了 | 
| [18:16] | Bobby, you didn’t come in here to have | Bobby,你来这里不是为了 | 
| [18:18] | a conversation. | 谈个话 | 
| [18:19] | You came in here worried about my objectivity | 你来这担心我的客观性 | 
| [18:21] | because of how my brother… | 就因为我的弟弟。。。 | 
| [18:27] | Like you say, | 如你所说 | 
| [18:29] | I have a full appreciation | 我完全认识到 | 
| [18:31] | of the difficulty of the case, | 这个案子的难度 | 
| [18:33] | and if an offer does come in, | 如果有和解条件提出来 | 
| [18:34] | I’ll recommend settlement to the client. | 我会建议当事人接受的 | 
| [18:37] | Okay. | 那好吧 | 
| [18:54] | FREEMAN: I think the biggest problem | 我觉得对我精神失常的辩护 | 
| [18:55] | with my insanity defense was that | 的最大的问题就是 | 
| [18:58] | it played so stereotypically. | 太没有新意了 | 
| [19:00] | I heard voices. | 我听到有人对我说话 | 
| [19:02] | I thought they were a mandate from God. | 我以为那是上帝的命令 | 
| [19:03] | You know, there’s somebody like me | 你懂的,还有跟我一样每周 | 
| [19:05] | on Dateline once a week. | 都出现在电视新闻杂志上的人 | 
| [19:07] | I think the jury just went, | 我想陪审团就是想 | 
| [19:08] | “Yeah, yeah, next.” | “好了,好了,下一个吧” | 
| [19:11] | And the actual diagnosis? | 实际的诊断结果是? | 
| [19:13] | Paranoid schizophrenia. | 偏执性精神分裂症 | 
| [19:16] | Do you have a memory of the killings? | 你还记得杀人的事吗? | 
| [19:20] | They haven’t found the medication yet | 好在他们还没发明 | 
| [19:22] | to erase memory. | 抹去记忆的药物 | 
| [19:24] | Can you tell me what you remember? | 你能告诉我们你记得些什么吗? | 
| [19:28] | Can you tell me how that’s relevant? | 你能告诉我这有什么关系吗? | 
| [19:31] | Denise… | |
| [19:33] | as you said to that young girl, | 就像你对那个年轻女孩说的 | 
| [19:35] | we’re a little crunched for time. | 我们的时间有点紧 | 
| [19:38] | So I need you to let me be the lawyer | 所以我需要你让我来做律师 | 
| [19:40] | and trust me to decide | 并信任我来决定 | 
| [19:43] | what’s relevant. | 哪些是有关系的 | 
| [19:44] | If the memory’s vivid, I want to know. | 如果记忆是生动的,我想要知道 | 
| [19:47] | If not, I want to know that, too. | 即使不是,我也想知道 | 
| [19:50] | Tell me what you remember. | 告诉我你记得些什么 | 
| [19:57] | In the moment, time slowed down. | 在那一刻,时间变慢了 | 
| [20:00] | I saw the bullets travel. | 我看到子弹在移动 | 
| [20:06] | I saw them floating through the air | 我看见他们漂浮在空中 | 
| [20:08] | like feathers. | 就像羽毛似的 | 
| [20:12] | They hit the skulls. | 它们击中了头颅 | 
| [20:15] | Two incredibly sweet little boys. | 两个可爱的小男孩 | 
| [20:21] | These floating feathers | 这些飘动的羽毛 | 
| [20:24] | just made their heads go | 让他们的头 | 
| [20:26] | 嘭! | |
| [20:34] | That vivid enough? | 这够生动了吧? | 
| [20:47] | Alcoholism is something | 酗酒问题是我们 | 
| [20:48] | we all need to be concerned with, | 都需要去关注的事情 | 
| [20:50] | and we are at Portiss. | 我们在Portiss也是如此 | 
| [20:52] | I guess the question becomes, | 我想这问题是 | 
| [20:54] | how do you manifest that concern? | 你们怎么表现出这种关注呢? | 
| [20:56] | CARROLL: First, by putting warnings | 首先,通过在我们的每一个产品上做出警示 | 
| [20:58] | on every single one of our products. | 在我们的每一个产品上 | 
| [21:00] | But I’ll tell you something, | 但是我跟你这么说吧 | 
| [21:02] | we probably should do | 我们或许应该 | 
| [21:04] | a better job of publicizing | 着重说明 | 
| [21:05] | the health benefits. | 这对健康有益 | 
| [21:07] | The benefits? | 有益? | 
| [21:07] | CARROLL: Absolutely. | 绝对是的 | 
| [21:09] | Studies now show that having a drink or two | 现在的研究表明每天 | 
| [21:11] | of alcohol every day | 喝一两杯含酒精的饮料 | 
| [21:13] | can help fight heart disease. | 可以防止心脏疾病 | 
| [21:14] | Evidence is now coming in | 现在有证据表明 | 
| [21:16] | that it can even promote mental health | 那甚至可以促进心理健康 | 
| [21:17] | and possibly prevent Alzheimer’s. | 可能还能预防老年痴呆症 | 
| [21:20] | Some doctors are recommending to their patients | 一些医生向病人推荐 | 
| [21:22] | that they consume moderate amounts of alcohol | 他们摄入适量的酒精 | 
| [21:25] | to promote general health, | 去促进健康 | 
| [21:27] | well-being, and longevity. | 幸福和长寿 | 
| [21:28] | Is the defendant testifying | 被告出庭作证是来讲故事的吗? | 
| [21:30] | in the narrative? | 被告出庭作证是来讲故事的吗? | 
| [21:30] | Mr. Carroll, | Carroll先生 | 
| [21:32] | a young man died here. | 可一个年轻人死了 | 
| [21:34] | And it’s a tragedy. | 这是个悲剧 | 
| [21:35] | My heart goes out to his family. | 我很同情他的家人 | 
| [21:37] | I had a nephew who was killed | 我有个侄子 | 
| [21:38] | by a drunk driver, | 被一个醉酒的司机撞死了 | 
| [21:40] | and I’m angry about it to this day. | 至今我都很气愤 | 
| [21:42] | But I’ll tell you, | 但我跟你说 | 
| [21:43] | this country as a whole | 这整个国家 | 
| [21:45] | is vigilant about this. | 都对此保持警惕 | 
| [21:47] | We have mothers against drunk drivers. | 有母亲们反对酒后驾车 | 
| [21:49] | We have PSAs on every channel. | 每个电视频道都有公益广告 | 
| [21:52] | In our own advertisements, | 在我们自己的广告里 | 
| [21:54] | we warn about drinking and driving. | 我们也对酒后驾车提出警示 | 
| [21:56] | This isn’t some obscure, | 这不是什么晦涩难懂的事 | 
| [21:58] | latent peril lurking in the bushes. | 是那种隐藏很深的潜在危险 | 
| [22:00] | The message on irresponsible drinking is out there, | 关于不负责任饮酒的教训到处都是 | 
| [22:03] | and it’s been out there for many, many years. | 已经存在了很多很多年了 | 
| [22:06] | Our industry… | 我们这个产业 | 
| [22:07] | has spent millions of dollars on that message. | 为这些教训付出了数百万计美元 | 
| [22:09] | And I’ll tell you something else | 我还要告诉你一件 | 
| [22:11] | the majority of Americans get it. | 大多数美国人都明白的事 | 
| [22:13] | Objection! | 反对! | 
| [22:14] | Mr. Grundel, you need to ask your client a question. | Grundel先生,你必须要向你的当事人提一个问题 | 
| [22:16] | He only need respond to that question. | 他只需回答那个问题即可 | 
| [22:19] | Mr. Carroll, what about the specific problem | Carroll先生,关于未成年人饮酒的特定问题 | 
| [22:21] | of underage drinking? | 你们做了些什么? | 
| [22:23] | We fund numerous educational awareness programs | 我们比任何其他行业更多地 | 
| [22:26] | more than any other industry. | 向大量教育宣传项目提供资助 | 
| [22:28] | We pay to train vendors not to sell to kids. | 我们花钱培训零售商们不要卖酒给孩子们 | 
| [22:32] | We agree with the law which raises | 我们支持将法定饮酒年龄 | 
| [22:34] | the legal drinking age from 18 to 21. | 从18岁提高到21岁的法规 | 
| [22:37] | And let’s think about that. | 让我们想一想 | 
| [22:38] | You can vote, you can fight in a war, | 你可以投票,可以参战 | 
| [22:41] | you’re considered an adult for the purpose of the law | 就法律而言,你在18岁时就在各个方面 | 
| [22:43] | in every single way at the age of 18 | 被认为是成年人了 | 
| [22:47] | and we still say, | 但我们还在说 | 
| [22:48] | “Whoa. We’re gonna make you wait | “哇,我们要让你再等上三年才能喝酒” | 
| [22:50] | an additional three years | “哇,我们要让你再等上三年才能喝酒” | 
| [22:52] | before you can drink.” | “哇,我们要让你再等上三年才能喝酒” | 
| [22:54] | Why? | 为什么呢? | 
| [22:55] | Because we recognize the need | 因为我们认识到 | 
| [22:58] | for maturity and responsibility. | 成熟和责任感的必要性 | 
| [23:01] | In fact, the only thing left for us to do | 实际上,我们唯一能做的就是 | 
| [23:03] | would be to ban alcohol altogether. | 完全禁止饮酒 | 
| [23:07] | We tried that in this country once | 在这个国家曾经尝试过一次 | 
| [23:08] | and it didn’t work. | 但没有作用 | 
| [23:11] | DONNELL: Run that by me again. | 把情况再跟我说一遍 | 
| [23:13] | FRUTT: It’s not as crazy as it sounds. | 没有听起来那么离谱 | 
| [23:15] | DONNELL: Just the same, once more. | 就照原样再说一遍 | 
| [23:18] | Okay. | 好吧 | 
| [23:19] | She stops taking the meds, | 她停止了服药 | 
| [23:21] | in which case she regresses quickly, | 那种情况下她病情很快反复了 | 
| [23:23] | I might add, according to the doctors. | 我要补充一句,根据医生的说法 | 
| [23:25] | Once she becomes schizophrenic again, | 一旦她又得了精神分裂症 | 
| [23:27] | we get the diagnosis of insanity. | 我们可以得到精神错乱的诊断 | 
| [23:29] | Supreme Court has expressly held | 最高法院已明确地坚持 | 
| [23:31] | the Eighth Amendment prohibits executing the insane. | 第八修正案禁止处决精神失常的犯人 | 
| [23:34] | They also held you can force-medicate | 他们也可以坚持说可以强制服药 | 
| [23:36] | to make a person sane. | 以使人保持清醒状态 | 
| [23:37] | STRINGER: They upheld forced medication | 他们坚持强制用药 | 
| [23:39] | to make a defendant competent for trial. | 是为了使被告有资格出庭受审 | 
| [23:42] | Not necessarily for punishment. | 未必是为了给予惩处 | 
| [23:45] | FRUTT: Bobby, I can’t think of anything else. | Bobby,我想不出别的办法了 | 
| [23:48] | You want to take her off the meds? | 你想让她停药? | 
| [23:49] | FRUTT: And try and stop the execution | 试着以她精神失常为由阻止执行死刑 | 
| [23:52] | on the grounds that she’s insane. | 试着以她精神失常为由阻止执行死刑 | 
| [23:55] | At a minimum, it could buy us time. | 至少,能给我们争取时间 | 
| [23:57] | The death penalty is vulnerable. | 死刑是可以被动摇的 | 
| [23:59] | Time is time. | 就是时间问题 | 
| [24:02] | What do we have to lose? | 我们能有什么损失呢? | 
| [24:08] | YOUNG: How much money does the alcohol industry | 制酒行业一年可以赚多少钱? | 
| [24:10] | make per year? | 制酒行业一年可以赚多少钱? | 
| [24:11] | A lot. | 很多 | 
| [24:12] | You’re a major manufacturer. | 你们是一个主要的厂商 | 
| [24:14] | I’m sure you can get more specific | 我相信你能说得比“很多”更具体些 | 
| [24:16] | than “a lot,” can’t you, Mr. Carroll? | 可以吗, Carroll先生? | 
| [24:18] | It’s in the billions. | 有几十亿吧 | 
| [24:19] | It’s close to $120 billion a year, | 一年接近1200亿 | 
| [24:23] | $120 billion. | 1200亿呀 | 
| [24:26] | Which contributes to a healthier | 那有助于促进美国的经济,Young先生 | 
| [24:27] | U.S. economy, Mr. Young, | 那有助于促进美国的经济,Young先生 | 
| [24:29] | and employs hundreds of thousands of Americans. | 而且这个行业雇用了数以十万计的美国人 | 
| [24:32] | Thank you for that. | 那真是要谢谢你们了 | 
| [24:34] | And how much money does your company | 你的公司花了多少钱 | 
| [24:36] | spend to build or contribute | 用于建设或者资助戒酒所? | 
| [24:38] | to treatment facilities for alcohol abuse? spend to build or contribute | 用于建设或者资助戒酒所? | 
| [24:41] | We make beer, Mr. Young. | 我们生产啤酒,Young先生 | 
| [24:42] | We’re not in the hospital business. | 不是从事医疗事业 | 
| [24:44] | The answer is zero? | 答案是零吗? | 
| [24:45] | CARROLL: No, it is not. | 不是的 | 
| [24:46] | We donate a great deal of money to prevention programs. | 我们为预防项目捐了很多钱 | 
| [24:49] | A great deal? More or less than 1% | 很多钱?和你们用在 | 
| [24:52] | of what you spend promoting alcohol use? | 提倡饮酒方面的钱的百分之一相比,是多还是少? | 
| [24:54] | Hey, since it’s voluntary– | 喂,那可是自愿捐的。。。 | 
| [24:56] | Less than 1%? | 比百分之一还少? | 
| [24:57] | I’d have to check the figures. | 我得查一查数据 | 
| [24:58] | Well, I have some figures. | 好吧,我有一些数据 | 
| [25:02] | Your industry takes in a hundred and twenty billion a year, | 你们的行业每年赚1200亿美金 | 
| [25:05] | fifteen million Americans struggle with alcoholism– | 1500万美国人陷入酗酒问题中。。。 | 
| [25:07] | Look, our product is only dangerous | 听着,我们的产品只有在过度饮用的时候才有危险 | 
| [25:10] | when used excessively. | 听着,我们的产品只有在过度饮用的时候才有危险 | 
| [25:12] | So as aspirin, for that matter. | 就像阿司匹林一样 | 
| [25:13] | Aspirin? | 阿司匹林? | 
| [25:14] | You’re just like aspirin? | 你喜欢阿司匹林吗? | 
| [25:15] | You understand my point, Counsel. | 你知道我什么意思,律师 | 
| [25:17] | When used responsibly– | 理性使用的话。。。 | 
| [25:19] | Do you advertise to young people? | 你针对年轻人做广告吗? | 
| [25:20] | Not underage, we don’t. | 不针对未成年人 | 
| [25:21] | Your key target demo is 21 to 25-year-olds, isn’t it? | 你的主要目标是21到25岁的孩子,不是吗? | 
| [25:25] | Which is perfectly legal. | 这是完全合法的 | 
| [25:27] | What research do you do to make sure | 你做了什么研究得以确信 | 
| [25:29] | those ads intended for 21-year-olds | 那些针对21岁年轻人的广告 | 
| [25:32] | don’t influence 19-year-olds? | 不会影响到19岁的年轻人呢? | 
| [25:34] | Look– Are you aware, sir, | – 是这样的。。。 – 先生,你知道 | 
| [25:35] | that underage kids are drinking your beer? | 那些未成年的孩子在喝你们的啤酒吗? | 
| [25:39] | We take every step to ensure that doesn’t happen, | 我们采取一切措施确保这不会发生 | 
| [25:42] | but parents have to take some responsibility. | 但家长们必须承担一些责任 | 
| [25:43] | YOUNG: You’re aware… | 你知道。。。 | 
| [25:46] | minors drink your beer? | 未成年人喝你们的啤酒吗? | 
| [25:49] | We’re aware that it happens sometimes. | 我们知道有时会这样的 | 
| [25:52] | YOUNG: Sometimes? | 有时? | 
| [25:53] | You’re aware underage kids are responsible | 你知道未成年的孩子的消费量 | 
| [25:56] | for 12% of the consumption of all your beer, | 占你们啤酒消费的12% | 
| [25:59] | aren’t you? | 不是吗? | 
| [26:00] | That figure is debatable. | 这个数字值得商榷 | 
| [26:01] | And that over 90% of all the alcohol consumed | 而未成年饮酒者消费的酒类 | 
| [26:04] | by underage drinkers is for bingeing. | 超过90%是为了狂欢放纵 | 
| [26:06] | Is that debatable? | 这一点有待商榷吗? | 
| [26:07] | We do not target underage drinkers! | 我们没有把未成年人作为对象! | 
| [26:10] | Well, according to the surgeon general, | 那好,根据美国卫生总署的数据 | 
| [26:12] | over half of all high school juniors and seniors drink. | 超过半数的高中三年级和四年级学生喝酒 | 
| [26:14] | But you don’t target them? | 但你没有把他们作为对象? | 
| [26:16] | CARROLL: We make it our business | 我们把减少未成年饮酒者 | 
| [26:17] | to curtail underage drinkers. | 当成是我们份内的事 | 
| [26:19] | Really? | 真的? | 
| [26:20] | Besides those sex and alcohol commercials, | 除了那些色情和酒精广告, | 
| [26:22] | what else? Objection! | – 还做了什么? – 反对! | 
| [26:24] | YOUNG: What the hell do you do to curtail it?! | 你到底做了些什么去减少呀?! | 
| [26:26] | Objection! WEEKS: Mr. Young… | – 反对! – Young先生。。。 | 
| [26:27] | YOUNG: Two-thirds of underage drinkers | 三分之二的未成年饮酒者 | 
| [26:28] | buy their own beer, Mr. Carroll! | 自己买啤酒,Carroll先生! | 
| [26:30] | That’s a vendor problem, not– | 这是商贩的问题,而不是。。。 | 
| [26:32] | YOUNG: Oh, I see, It’s not your problem? | 哦,我明白了,这不是你的问题? | 
| [26:33] | You just make the stuff and put the logo on blimps? | 你只不过是生产产品并把商标贴在广告宣传飞艇上? | 
| [26:35] | Objection! | 反对! | 
| [26:37] | Mr. Young! | Young先生! | 
| [26:37] | This kid couldn’t so much | 这孩子连看棒球赛都。。。 | 
| [26:39] | as watch a baseball game– | 这孩子连看棒球赛都。。。 | 
| [26:41] | WEEKS: Mr. Young. –without hearing your jingle, | – Young先生 – 躲不开你那些广告歌曲 | 
| [26:42] | Mr. Carroll, and he’s dead. He’s dead! | Carroll先生,他死了,他死了! | 
| [26:45] | WEEKS: Mr. Young, that’s enough! | Young先生,够了! | 
| [26:46] | And you sit here testifying nothing you can do. | 而你却坐在这里作证说你无能为力 | 
| [26:51] | Nothing you can do for Michael Berry. | 说你对Michael Berry无能为力 | 
| [27:18] | Go off my medication? | 停止服药? | 
| [27:20] | The Supreme Court has said | 最高法院的观点是 | 
| [27:22] | we can’t execute the insane. | 不能对神经失常的人执行死刑 | 
| [27:24] | It’s our last best shot. | 这是我们最好的机会 | 
| [27:27] | Up until now, we have argued, | 到目前为止,我们一直在争辩说 | 
| [27:30] | “Don’t kill her. She’s not the monster she used to be.” | “别杀她,她不再是那个过去的恶魔了” | 
| [27:34] | And now you want me to go off my medication | 而现在你要我停止服药 | 
| [27:37] | so that you can argue, | 所以你就可以争辩说 | 
| [27:38] | “Don’t kill her.She is the monster she used to be”? | “别杀她,她是那个过去的恶魔”? | 
| [27:41] | Yes. | 对 | 
| [27:43] | And then, after that, | 然而,在那之后 | 
| [27:44] | we’ll argue that it’s cruel and unusual | 我们会争辩说让你处于精神失常状态 | 
| [27:46] | to keep you insane | 是残忍和异常的 | 
| [27:47] | and we’ll hopefullyget you on the meds again. | 我们极有希望重新让你服药 | 
| [27:51] | Oh, that sounds… | 噢,这听上去。。。 | 
| [27:52] | Perverse. | 不合情理 | 
| [27:55] | It is, and they will no doubt try to force-medicate you. | 的确如此,他们无疑会试图强迫你服药 | 
| [27:59] | It’s been upheld in the past | 过去一直是这么干的 | 
| [28:00] | but I have a better chance at beating it. | 但我很有机会打败它 | 
| [28:06] | How long after you stopped taking the medication before– | 你停止服药后多久会。。。 | 
| [28:09] | It won’t take long. | 时间不会很长 | 
| [28:14] | Okay. | 那好吧 | 
| [28:16] | I’m gonna draft up the document stating your intent. | 我要起草一份表明你意想的文件 | 
| [28:20] | I’m gonna need you to sign them | 趁你还有自主能力的时候 | 
| [28:22] | while you’re still competent. | 我需要你签个名 | 
| [28:23] | My intent being? | 我的意向是? | 
| [28:25] | You don’t want the meds under any circumstances. | 在任何情况下你都不想服药 | 
| [28:32] | I will go crazy, Ellenor. | 我会疯了的,Ellenor | 
| [28:35] | You do realize that? | 你明白吗? | 
| [28:49] | Alcohol is part of the American culture. | 酒是美国文化的一部分 | 
| [28:52] | I know it. | 我知道这一点 | 
| [28:54] | I get it. | 我也懂得 | 
| [28:56] | We indulge openly, proudly even. | 我们公开地甚至是自豪地放纵 | 
| [28:58] | We toast at weddings. | 我们在婚礼上敬酒 | 
| [29:00] | We drink to our health. | 我们为我们的健康干杯 | 
| [29:01] | We drink in front of our kids, | 我们在我们的孩子面前喝酒 | 
| [29:03] | be it eggnog at Christmas, | 圣诞节的蛋奶酒 | 
| [29:05] | mint julep at Kentucky Derby parties, | 肯塔基州圣帕特里克节的 | 
| [29:07] | Saint Patrick’s Day. | 德比派对上的薄荷朱利普酒 | 
| [29:09] | And we romanticize it, don’t we? | 我们把这变得浪漫了,不是吗? | 
| [29:11] | Win a World Series or a Super Bowl, | 赢得世界大赛超级碗橄榄球赛 | 
| [29:14] | out comes the champagne on national television. | 在国家电视台上播放开香槟酒 | 
| [29:16] | Our best athletes, | 我们最好的运动员 | 
| [29:17] | role models for physical fitness, | 身体健康的榜样 | 
| [29:20] | watch them drink. | 看着他们豪饮 | 
| [29:21] | Hey, it’s our culture. | 嘿,这是我们的文化 | 
| [29:22] | Like I said, I get it. | 我说了,我懂得这些 | 
| [29:26] | But you know what, | 但我告诉你们 | 
| [29:28] | they never really warn you about the downside. | 他们从来没有真正警告过你们那不好的一面 | 
| [29:31] | Fifteen million Americans are alcoholics. | 一千五百万美国人酗酒 | 
| [29:35] | Fifteen million. | 一千五百万 | 
| [29:38] | And the statistics, they go on and on. | 还有统计数据,它们一直在继续 | 
| [29:41] | It’s the number one teenage drug problem, | 这是青少年最大的毒品问题 | 
| [29:44] | the number one drug problem in college, | 大学里最大的毒品问题 | 
| [29:47] | one quarter of all emergency room admissions, | 四分之一的急诊治疗 | 
| [29:50] | almost a third of all suicides, | 几乎三分之一的自杀 | 
| [29:53] | one half of all homicides, rapes, | 一半的谋杀和强奸 | 
| [29:56] | one third of traffic fatalities, alcohol-related. | 三分之一的交通事故与酒有关 | 
| [30:00] | It is the leading cause of mental retardation, | 它是智力低下的主要原因 | 
| [30:04] | fetal alcohol syndrome. | 胎儿酒精综合征 | 
| [30:09] | The cost to us, | 我们纳税人和经济付出的代价 | 
| [30:11] | the taxpayer, and our economy, | 我们纳税人和经济付出的代价 | 
| [30:14] | over $185 billion in lost productivity, | 超过1850亿美元的生产力损失 | 
| [30:18] | healthcare expenses, crime, car crashes, and other costs. | 医疗费用、犯罪、车祸和其他费用 | 
| [30:22] | The cost to Margaret and Joshua Berry, | 而Margaret和Joshua Berry付出的代价 | 
| [30:25] | their son. | 是他们的儿子 | 
| [30:27] | The cost to Sheila Berry, | Sheila Berry付出的代价 | 
| [30:29] | her brother. | 是她的弟弟 | 
| [30:31] | This was a decent kid, | 这是个不错的孩子 | 
| [30:34] | B student, shy, good athlete, | B级学生,腼腆,优秀运动员 (B级学生是指高于平均水平的好学生,在五档里面排在第二档) | 
| [30:37] | who started having a few beers | 他起初和他的高中伙伴们喝点啤酒 | 
| [30:39] | with his high school buddies, | 他起初和他的高中伙伴们喝点啤酒 | 
| [30:40] | who developed an addiction to a drug | 发展到成瘾最终丢了性命 | 
| [30:43] | that ended up taking his life. | 发展到成瘾最终丢了性命 | 
| [30:47] | This industry makes upward | 这个行业一年 | 
| [30:49] | of a hundred billion dollars a year, | 赚一千多亿美元 | 
| [30:52] | a lot of it coming from kids, children, | 很多是来自孩子们 | 
| [30:54] | and however much they deny it, | 不管他们如何否认 | 
| [30:56] | they target those kids with their advertising. | 他们的广告针对那些孩子 | 
| [30:59] | They buy time on the programs these kids watch. | 他们买下那些孩子看的节目的广告时段 | 
| [31:03] | We’ve all seen the ads. | 我们都看过这些广告 | 
| [31:04] | They’re funny. | 都很有趣 | 
| [31:05] | Drinking is hip. | 喝酒是时髦的 | 
| [31:06] | It’s cool. It’s now. | 喝酒很酷,喝酒是潮流 | 
| [31:07] | It kills. | 喝酒杀了人 | 
| [31:10] | It kills. | 杀了人 | 
| [31:12] | And they just take the money, a lot of it. | 而他们只管赚钱,狠狠地赚钱 | 
| [31:17] | During the course of this three-day trial, | 这三天庭审期间 | 
| [31:19] | the alcohol industry made another billion dollars. | 造酒业就又赚了十亿美金 | 
| [31:22] | Now, we’re a capitalist society. | 我们是资本主义社会 | 
| [31:24] | Like I said, I get it. | 我说过的,我懂了 | 
| [31:26] | But when you contribute to the death of human life | 但是当你们促成每年十几万人死亡的时候 | 
| [31:30] | over a hundred thousand lives every year, | 但是当你促成每年十几万人死亡的时候 | 
| [31:33] | how can you not take some responsibility? | 你怎么能不负些责任呢? | 
| [31:36] | It can’t always be about the money. | 不能总是想着赚钱 | 
| [31:38] | That’s what I don’t get. | 这就是我弄不懂的 | 
| [31:50] | Mr. Young says we’ve committed fraud. | Young先生说我们犯了欺诈罪 | 
| [31:53] | He’s wrong. | 他错了 | 
| [31:55] | We sell an honest product, honestly. | 我们是诚实地销售一种诚实的商品 | 
| [31:57] | We are not tobacco. | 我们不是烟草公司 | 
| [32:01] | The tobacco company lied about the risks | 烟草公司在与吸烟有关的 | 
| [32:03] | associated with smoking. | 危险问题上撒了谎 | 
| [32:05] | The risks of drinking have been known | 而饮酒的危险是几千年来 | 
| [32:07] | for thousands of years | 就已经知道的 | 
| [32:09] | and so have the benefits. | 况且喝酒也有益处 | 
| [32:11] | We drink with our friends to relax, to celebrate. | 我们和朋友一起喝酒放松庆祝 | 
| [32:14] | There are social benefits to responsible drinking, | 理性地饮酒对社会有益 | 
| [32:18] | and we all know it. | 我们都知道这一点 | 
| [32:20] | The problem is, with alcohol abuse. | 麻烦的是,产生了酗酒 | 
| [32:24] | And the question… | 而问题。。。 | 
| [32:27] | is what do we do about it. | 是我们该怎么办 | 
| [32:30] | What we’ve done so far | 目前我们做的是 | 
| [32:32] | is to pass a multitude of regulations. | 制定一系列的规章制度 | 
| [32:34] | My client has complied with every one of them. | 这些我的当事人都遵守了 | 
| [32:37] | We have raised the drinking age. | 我们提高了饮酒的限制年龄 | 
| [32:39] | We’ve mandated warnings on every bottle of beer. | 我们按照规定在每瓶啤酒上标出警示 | 
| [32:42] | We now have dram shop acts, | 我们现在制定了DramShop法案 (小旅馆酒店出售的酒对他人造成损害应承担责任) | 
| [32:43] | making people liable who serve alcohol. | 使提供酒类的人负起责任 | 
| [32:47] | You could be sued today just for throwing a party. | 你现在可能会因为办了一个聚会而被起诉 | 
| [32:52] | We have done everything humanly possible. | 我们已经尽了一切可能人性化的努力 | 
| [32:55] | In truth, the only thing left to do is ban alcohol. | 事实上,剩下唯一能做的就是禁酒 | 
| [32:58] | And we’ve already tried that once | 这种办法我们已经试过一次了 | 
| [33:01] | with spectacular failure, | 并惊人地失败了 | 
| [33:04] | because, as Mr. Young correctly points out, | 因为正如Young正确地指出的 | 
| [33:07] | drinking is in our culture. | 饮酒植根于我们的文化 | 
| [33:10] | We’re always gonna have that cocktail. | 我们总是要喝酒的 | 
| [33:13] | And no jury, | 永远也不会有陪审团 | 
| [33:14] | no act of Congress, | 或者国会立法 | 
| [33:16] | will ever, ever prevent it. | 阻止我们喝酒 | 
| [33:19] | I’ll say this, | 我要说 | 
| [33:21] | Mr. Young is disingenuous | Young先生说我们是为了钱 | 
| [33:23] | when he says that we’re all about money | 而他们不是为了钱 | 
| [33:25] | and they’re not. | 这是极不坦诚的说法 | 
| [33:27] | They are in here today asking you… | 他们在这儿是在要求你们。。。 | 
| [33:31] | to award them money. | 判给他们赔偿金 | 
| [33:34] | Well, I won’t be disingenuous. | 我不会不坦诚的 | 
| [33:36] | We’re a business. | 我们是在做生意 | 
| [33:37] | Lawsuits, judgments, they become a cost of doing business. | 诉讼、判决,都是做生意的成本 | 
| [33:40] | And I don’t have to tell you | 我必须告诉你们 | 
| [33:42] | who that cost always gets passed back to. | 那些成本总是会被转嫁给谁的 | 
| [33:47] | You can’t bring back Michael Berry. | 尽管我是多么的希望 | 
| [33:49] | I so wish you could. | 但你们无法挽救Michael Berry了 | 
| [33:51] | But all you can really do, | 可是你们真正能做的 | 
| [33:53] | unfortunately, | 很不幸 | 
| [33:55] | is raise the price of beer. | 是抬高啤酒的价格 | 
| [33:59] | Because, like he told you, | 因为,就像他告诉你们的那样 | 
| [34:02] | it’s our culture. | 饮酒是我们的文化 | 
| [34:12] | We’re going to Court when? | 我们什么时候出庭? | 
| [34:13] | Next week. | 下周 | 
| [34:14] | Obviously, the more you regress, | 显然,你病情反复程度越大 | 
| [34:17] | the better our chances. | 我们的机会也越大 | 
| [34:18] | And if we lose, it’s better to die crazy than sane. | 如果我们输了,疯着去死总比神志清醒好 | 
| [34:22] | I guess. | 我想是的 | 
| [34:23] | Listen, um, given that, | 听着,既然如此 | 
| [34:25] | I probably should put in my goodbyes to people now, right? | 我或许应该和人们道个别,对吗? | 
| [34:29] | So, I mean, by this time next week, | 我是说,下周这个时候 | 
| [34:31] | I may not even know who my friends are. | 我可能甚至都不知道我的朋友是谁了 | 
| [34:33] | How are you feeling now? | 你现在感觉怎么样? | 
| [34:35] | Anxious, a little. | 有点焦虑 | 
| [34:37] | Nervous, I guess. | 我想是紧张吧 | 
| [34:40] | I’m not sure what from. | 我不知道是什么原因 | 
| [34:43] | I don’t know if it’s because I have come off my medication | 不知道是不是因为我停药了 | 
| [34:45] | or whether it’s because I’m getting closer to… | 或者是因为我越来越接近。。。 | 
| [34:48] | a lethal injection but either way, uh, | 被注射毒针,但不管怎样,呃 | 
| [34:51] | it’s worse than a root canal, isn’t it? | 这比牙根管治疗还糟糕,不是吗? | 
| [34:53] | You already seem… | 你看起来已经。。。 | 
| [34:55] | Hyper. | 亢奋 | 
| [34:56] | That’s the first stage. | 这是第一的阶段 | 
| [34:58] | You know, oddly, I talk a lot more in the beginning | 跟你说,奇怪的是,起初我说得更多些 | 
| [35:00] | and then I become withdrawn. | 然后我就会变得孤僻 | 
| [35:02] | This is my nervous stage. | 这是我表现紧张的阶段 | 
| [35:05] | The good news is that there is a heightened clarity | 而好消息是随之而来的一种非常清晰的思维能力 | 
| [35:08] | that comes with it, so. | 而好消息是随之而来的一种非常清晰的思维能力 | 
| [35:11] | Okay. | 那好吧 | 
| [35:12] | These are the documents. | 这是一份文件 | 
| [35:15] | It’s basically the same as a living will. | 这基本上和生前遗嘱一样 | 
| [35:17] | It expresses your intent not to be given | 表达了你在任何情况下 | 
| [35:20] | the psychotropic drugs under any circumstances. | 不服用精神治疗药物的意愿 | 
| [35:22] | Okay. I need you to sign it | – 好的 – 我需要在这里 | 
| [35:24] | and date it. | 签上名字和日期 | 
| [35:26] | FREEMAN: Okay. | 好的 | 
| [35:28] | Shouldn’t this be notarized? | 这不应该公证吗? | 
| [35:29] | It isn’t necessary. | 没必要 | 
| [35:30] | If they argue you lacked capacity, | 如果他们提出你签这个的时候缺乏认知能力 | 
| [35:32] | it just plays into our claim of incompetence. | 那正好有利于我们提出的行为能力不足的论点 | 
| [35:36] | FREEMAN: Okay, if we win, | 那好,如果我们赢了 | 
| [35:37] | how are you gonna get me back on the drugs, | 假如我想继续服药 | 
| [35:39] | assuming I want to go back on the drugs? | 你怎么才能让我重新服药呢? | 
| [35:45] | Why wouldn’t you want to go back on the drugs? | 你为什么会不想重新服药呢? | 
| [35:47] | Well, you know, I have to admit | 呃,我不得不承认 | 
| [35:49] | I feel less …dull. | 我不那么。。。迟钝 | 
| [35:52] | But you said when you really regressed… | 但你说过当你病情反复。。。 | 
| [35:55] | FREEMAN: True, true. | 没错,没错 | 
| [35:56] | Um, I guess what I would like is a, | 呃,我想我说的是 | 
| [35:58] | um, an adjustment in the meds | 呃,对服药的调整 | 
| [36:00] | to keep me where I am now. | 让我保持现在的状态 | 
| [36:02] | I mean, I–this is a good state where I am now. | 我是说,我。。。我现在状态不错 | 
| [36:06] | I feel more clear. | 我觉得头脑很清醒 | 
| [36:09] | Denise, first… | Denise,首要的是。。。 | 
| [36:13] | let’s work on keeping you alive. | 我们要努力让你活下来 | 
| [36:16] | Right. | 对 | 
| [36:32] | Jury’s back. | 陪审团商议完了 | 
| [36:34] | What? | 什么? | 
| [36:36] | They have a verdict. | 他们得出裁决了 | 
| [36:39] | What’s wrong? | 有问题吗? | 
| [36:41] | They could never have computed the damages in an hour. | 他们不可能在一小时内计算出损害赔偿金额来 | 
| [36:43] | Which means? | 那就是说 | 
| [36:45] | They didn’t have to. | 他们没必要去算 | 
| [36:47] | They found no liability. | 他们认为不存在责任 | 
| [36:50] | BERLUTI: Or maybe they’re just angry enough, | 也许他们就是愤怒到了极点 | 
| [36:52] | they picked a big number | 他们挑了一个巨额数字然后说 | 
| [36:53] | and said, “Screw them.” | “让他们去死吧” | 
| [36:57] | Let’s go. | 走吧 | 
| [36:59] | Come on. | 走吧 | 
| [37:22] | WEEKS: Members of the jury, you have reached a verdict? | 陪审图达成裁决了吗? | 
| [37:26] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人 | 
| [37:27] | Your Honor, could I have a two-minute recess? | 法官大人,可以暂缓两分钟吗? | 
| [37:29] | We have an offer we’d like to propose to the plaintiff. | 我们想向原告方提出一个交易条件 | 
| [37:31] | WEEKS: Your timing is curious, Mr. Grundel. | 你选的这时机很不寻常,Grundel先生 | 
| [37:33] | Until that verdict is entered, | 在判决生效之前 | 
| [37:35] | this case isn’t decided. | 这个案子都没有定论 | 
| [37:37] | It’s Friday. | 今天是星期五 | 
| [37:38] | I’m not bringing this jury back. | 我不会让陪审团再回来的 | 
| [37:41] | You have two minutes. | 你只有两分钟 | 
| [37:51] | I’ll confer with my client. | 我会和我的当事人商量的 | 
| [37:53] | It’s got a two-minute clock, Eugene, | 只有两分钟,Eugene | 
| [37:54] | and it’s final. | 这也是最终的条件 | 
| [37:56] | Excuse me, please. | 容我们商量一下 | 
| [38:05] | Don’t anybody scream. | 谁也别喊出声来 | 
| [38:07] | $1.6 million. | 一百六十万美金 | 
| [38:12] | No, why? | 为什么? | 
| [38:14] | What? | 怎么回事? | 
| [38:14] | He must’ve been authorized to settle | 他一定是被授权当他看陪审团的表情不妙的时候 | 
| [38:16] | if he didn’t like the faces of the jury. | 可以提出和解条件 | 
| [38:19] | Something tells him we’ve won. | 他感到我们会赢 | 
| [38:20] | And a verdict against them is too devastating, | 且对他们的判决太具破坏性了 | 
| [38:23] | even if it’s overturned on appeal. | 即使这个判决在上诉时被推翻 | 
| [38:24] | Should we take it? | 我们应该接受吗? | 
| [38:26] | It’s a lot of money. | 这是一大笔钱 | 
| [38:28] | Let’s take our chances. | 我们冒个险吧 | 
| [38:30] | What?! | 什么?! | 
| [38:31] | You said that they couldn’t possibly | 你说过他们不可能 | 
| [38:33] | have computed damages so fast. | 这么快算出损害赔偿金的 | 
| [38:35] | Well, maybe they did pick a big fat number. | 也许陪审团就是挑了个巨额数字呢 | 
| [38:38] | And if we got them, we’ll let them off. | 如果我们接受和解条件就会放过了他们 | 
| [38:39] | $1.6 million is a lot to walk away from. | 一百六十万是可以坦然接受的一大笔钱呀 | 
| [38:42] | Not enough to make them hurt, and if the idea– | 还不足以让他们遭到重创,如果。。。 | 
| [38:44] | Excuse me one second. | 容我们单独谈一下 | 
| [38:50] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么? | 
| [38:51] | This is a verdict that could send a message, Jimmy. | 这是一个具有示范性的判决, Jimmy | 
| [38:54] | We’re this close. | 我们就要成功了 | 
| [38:55] | It’s not about sending a message. | 这跟示范性无关 | 
| [38:56] | It’s about getting a result for our client. | 这是和给我们当事人一个满意的结果有关 | 
| [38:59] | And $1.6– The faces on those jurors– | - 一百六十万。。。 - 那些陪审员的表情。。。 | 
| [39:01] | BERLUTI: We don’t know what those faces mean. | 我们不确定那些表情是什么意思 | 
| [39:03] | I realize you may want to stick it | 我意识到你也许想狠狠地整一下造酒行业 | 
| [39:05] | to the alcohol industry. | 我意识到你也许想狠狠地整一下造酒行业 | 
| [39:06] | I’m only thinking about the client. | 我只考虑当事人的利益 | 
| [39:07] | JOSHUA: What is going on? | 怎么回事? | 
| [39:10] | BERLUTI: We’re divided. | 我们有分歧 | 
| [39:10] | I think you should take it. | 我认为你应该接受 | 
| [39:12] | Eugene votes to reject it. | Eugene反对 | 
| [39:15] | I have a feeling, that’s all I can say. | 我有感觉,我只能这么说 | 
| [39:17] | It’s not a science. | 这不是科学研究 | 
| [39:22] | Let’s hear what the jury says. | 让我们听听陪审团怎么说吧 | 
| [39:23] | Joshua. | |
| [39:24] | Eugene? | 你的意见呢? | 
| [39:25] | If you want to make them pay, | 如果你想让他们付出代价 | 
| [39:28] | $1.6 million is a drop in the bucket. | 一百六万美金只是九牛一毛 | 
| [39:34] | Let’s reject it. | 我们拒绝吧 | 
| [39:46] | The offer is rejected, Your Honor. | 我们拒绝和解条件,法官大人 | 
| [39:48] | Very well. | 那好 | 
| [39:50] | Mr. Foreman, what say you? | 陪审团主席先生,请宣布裁决 | 
| [39:55] | In the matter of the estate | Michael Berry遗属 | 
| [39:56] | of Michael Berry versus Portiss Brewery, | 诉Portiss啤酒厂意外致死罪名一案 | 
| [39:58] | on the count of wrongful death, | 诉Portiss啤酒厂意外致死罪名一案 | 
| [40:00] | we, the jury, find in favor of the plaintiff. | 我们陪审团判原告胜诉 | 
| [40:04] | And order the defendant to pay compensatory damages | 责令被告方支付损害赔偿金 | 
| [40:06] | in the amount of $700,000. | 70万美金 | 
| [40:10] | We further order the defendant to pay punitive damages | 我们进一步责令被告支付惩罚性赔偿金 | 
| [40:13] | in the amount of $125 million. | 一亿两千五百万美金 | 
| [40:18] | Defense moves for a judgment, notwithstanding the verdict! | 被告方请求法庭否决陪审团裁决! | 
| [40:22] | Denied. | 驳回请求 | 
| [40:22] | We appeal! | 我们提请上诉! | 
| [40:23] | So noted. | 予以记录在案 | 
| [40:26] | Members of the jury, | 陪审团成员们 | 
| [40:27] | thank you for your service. | 感谢你们的服务 | 
| [40:29] | You’re excused. | 你们可以离开了 | 
| [40:30] | And this matter is adjourned. | 本案休庭 | 
| [40:35] | MARGARET: Oh, my God. | 噢,天呀 | 
| [40:42] | This will be appealed. | 会上诉的 | 
| [40:43] | It’ll be a long time before you see any money, but… | 你要花很长时间才能拿到钱,但是。。。 | 
| [40:48] | this is… A good start. | 这是。。。良好的开端 | 
| [40:51] | I don’t know what to say. | 我不知道说什么好 | 
| [40:54] | Neither do I. | 我也是 | 
| [41:17] | I tried to persuade her | 我试图说服她来探访室 | 
| [41:18] | to come to the visiting room. | 我试图说服她来探访室 | 
| [41:19] | It’s okay. Is she all right? | 没关系,她还好吗? | 
| [41:21] | I think so. She’s… | 我想是的,她。。。 | 
| [41:23] | she just doesn’t want to come out, | 她就是不想出来 | 
| [41:24] | and I didn’t really want to force her. | 我不太想强迫她 | 
| [41:31] | Denise? | |
| [41:33] | Hi. I’m sorry. | 嗨,对不起 | 
| [41:35] | I didn’t, um, I didn’t– | 我,呃,我。。。 | 
| [41:38] | I didn’t feel safe. I’m– | 我觉得不安全,我。。。 | 
| [41:40] | I know it’s not rational, | 我知道这是有些不清醒 | 
| [41:42] | and I realize that I am just a couple of pills away | 我意识我吃几片药就会好些,但即使那样。。。 | 
| [41:45] | from feeling better, but even so– | 我意识我吃几片药就会好些,但即使那样。。。 | 
| [41:47] | I mean, do you mind? | 我是说,你介意吗? | 
| [41:49] | I just–I feel more comfortable in here. | 我就是觉得这里挺舒服 | 
| [41:50] | No problem. | 没关系 | 
| [41:51] | What’s the news? | 有什么消息? | 
| [41:52] | There is no news. | 没有消息 | 
| [41:54] | I just came by to tell you | 我只是来告诉你 | 
| [41:55] | that all the doctors are lined up, | 所有的医生证人都准备好了 | 
| [41:56] | the appeal is being drafted, | 上诉状也在起草中 | 
| [41:59] | and we’re ready to file as soon as… | 我们准备一旦你。。。 | 
| [42:01] | As soon as I arrive at my destination? | 一旦我达到那个程度? | 
| [42:04] | FRUTT: Basically. | 差不多是吧 | 
| [42:05] | How you doing? | 你怎么样? | 
| [42:06] | I’m okay. | 还好 | 
| [42:07] | I’m okay. | 我还好 | 
| [42:08] | I’m heading into that | 我快要变成 | 
| [42:09] | I-don’t-feel-like-being- inside-my-skin part | 我-感觉-不到-我的皮-肤里- | 
| [42:11] | but I’m all right. | 但我还好 | 
| [42:13] | FRUTT: Listen, I’m gonna stop by daily | 听我说,我每天都会来 | 
| [42:15] | and check up on you, okay? | 看看你的情况,好吗? | 
| [42:19] | You know where to find me. | 你知道在哪里能找到我 | 
| [42:20] | I don’t travel much. | 我不经常旅行 | 
| [42:22] | It’s just as well. It’s not safe, is it? | 那也一样,不安全,是吧? |