时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | NYLER: That’s my son there, Marshall. | 这是我儿子Marshall |
[00:04] | He looks like a great kid. | 他看起来是个很不错的孩子 |
[00:06] | NYLER: Yeah, well, I wouldn’t know. | 呃,我不知道 |
[00:07] | You know, he was three months old | 我开始服刑的时候 |
[00:09] | when I began my term. | 他才三个月大 |
[00:10] | My wife remarried, | 我妻子再婚了 |
[00:12] | and he was raised by, um, | 他是由他们抚养大的 |
[00:15] | you know, he thinks of his stepdad | 他认为他的继父 |
[00:17] | as his father. | 就是他的父亲 |
[00:19] | NYLER: No, hey, I mean, I owe the guy, really. | 呃,我是说,我欠这家伙的,真的 |
[00:21] | You know, he’s been a pretty good dad. | 他一直是个好父亲 |
[00:39] | They’re willing to move for a finding | 检方愿意申请一个 |
[00:41] | of your legal innocence. | 认定你无罪的裁决 |
[00:43] | That’s it? | 就这些? |
[00:45] | No money? | 没有赔偿? |
[00:47] | No. | 没有 |
[00:48] | Fifteen years for a murder I didn’t do, | 因错判谋杀罪坐了15年冤狱 |
[00:51] | they offer nothing? | 他们什么也不给? |
[00:52] | They don’t feel they were negligent, | 他们不觉得自己疏忽了 |
[00:54] | plus, the state doesn’t like to admit mistakes. | 加之,州政府不愿意认错 |
[00:56] | It goes to a fear of getting sued. | 因为害怕被起诉 |
[00:58] | Why haven’t they moved for a legal finding on their own | 之前那么长时间他们为什么不自己去申请裁定? |
[01:01] | long before now? | 之前那么长时间他们为什么不自己去申请裁定? |
[01:02] | As I said, | 我说了 |
[01:04] | they don’t like to formally acknowledge mistakes. | 他们不喜欢正式承认错误 |
[01:07] | So, if we continue on, | 那么,如果我们继续下去 |
[01:10] | can we win? | 我们能赢吗? |
[01:11] | Honestly, I don’t know. | 说实话,我不知道 |
[01:13] | They’ll claim, given all the evidence, | 他们会说,基于所有的证据 |
[01:14] | your arrest was reasonable. | 逮捕你是合乎情理的 |
[01:16] | After that, it was a jury | 然后,判你有罪的是陪审团 |
[01:18] | that convicted you. | 然后,判你有罪的是陪审团 |
[01:20] | We obviously can’t sue them. | 显然我们无法起诉他们 |
[01:23] | We won’t win. | 我们赢不了 |
[01:24] | I don’t think so. | 我觉得赢不了 |
[01:26] | Bobby, I know that you took this | Bobby,我明白你是按风险收费方式 |
[01:29] | on a contingency, | 接这个案子的 |
[01:31] | and 33% of nothing isn’t much. | 33%不算什么 |
[01:35] | But given… | 但基于。。。 |
[01:37] | that I did fifteen years, | 我坐了15年冤狱 |
[01:40] | I would like to at least | 我愿意至少 |
[01:42] | give them three days… | 让他们难受三天。。。 |
[01:44] | of hell. | 让他们难受三天。。。 |
[01:50] | A summons? | 一张传票? |
[01:52] | DONNELL: I need you to testify. | 我要你出庭作证 |
[01:54] | Why? Because you were the D. A. | – 为什么? – 因为你是起诉他的检察官 |
[01:55] | who prosecuted him, Ken. | – 为什么? – 因为你是起诉他的检察官 |
[01:57] | It was one of our first trials, | 这是我们最初的案子之一 |
[01:58] | when our relationship was formed, remember? | 那时候咱们之间的关系就变成这样了,还记得吧? |
[02:00] | You blaming me? | 你在怪我吗? |
[02:02] | I’m certainly not blaming. | 我当然不是怪你 |
[02:03] | I’m just exploring how an innocent man | 我只不过是想探究一下 |
[02:05] | ended up serving 15 years. | 一个无辜的人怎么就坐了15年牢 |
[02:07] | Look… | 听着。。。 |
[02:08] | I’ve spent a lot of money in therapy, | 我在治病上花了不少钱了 |
[02:10] | you piece of crap | 你个混蛋 |
[02:11] | and I’m trying now to be nice. | 我现在在争取有所好转 |
[02:13] | I’ve held out an olive branch to your firm. | 我已经向你们伸出橄榄枝了 |
[02:15] | If you intend to thrash me with it– | 如果你故意要用这件事来整我。。。 |
[02:17] | That isn’t the case. | 不是那么回事 |
[02:18] | I just want your take. | 你只是要听听你的观点 |
[02:20] | My take. | 我的观点 |
[02:23] | You come after me, I’ll fillet you, Bobby, | 你咬着我不放,我就收拾你,Bobby |
[02:26] | right in the courtroom for the jury to see. | 就在法庭上当着陪审团的面收拾你 |
[02:29] | I can see those therapy dollars at work. | 看得出你花在治疗上的那些钱起作用了 |
[02:31] | Don’t do this. | 别这样干 |
[02:33] | That’s a warning. | 我这是警告 |
[02:35] | You have your summons. | 你收到传票了 |
[02:36] | I’ll see you in court. | 法庭上见吧 |
[03:39] | Everything okay? | 你没事吧? |
[03:43] | No. | 不 |
[03:44] | Will you argue? | 你来出庭吧? |
[03:45] | What? | 什么? |
[03:46] | I’m over my head. | 我脑袋大了 |
[03:48] | I’m going up against John Wicker | 我要对付的是Goodman事务所的John Wicker |
[03:50] | from Goodman. | 我要对付的是Goodman事务所的John Wicker |
[03:52] | Do you believe that? They’ve got Wicker. | 你敢相信吗?他们请来了Wicker |
[04:02] | You said you were ready. | 你说你准备好了 |
[04:04] | I am, | 我是啊 |
[04:05] | but let’s face it, Lindsay, | 但面对现实吧,Lindsay |
[04:06] | I’m suing a town | 我在起诉一个镇子举办足球赛 |
[04:07] | for having a soccer program. | 我在起诉一个镇子举办足球赛 |
[04:09] | Add to that, I’ve been to court twice | 加上我这辈子才出过两次庭 |
[04:11] | in my entire life. | 加上我这辈子才出过两次庭 |
[04:12] | Add to that they’ve got Wicker. | 加上他们请来了Wicker |
[04:14] | Add to that– Are you okay? | – 再加上。。。 – 你没事吧? |
[04:16] | Lindsay, sometimes… | Lindsay,有些时候。。。 |
[04:20] | I sort of freeze. | 我有点发木 |
[04:23] | What do you mean? | 你是说? |
[04:24] | When I get nervous or– | 当我紧张的时候。。。 |
[04:28] | I’ll be fine. | 我会没事的 |
[04:30] | I’ll be fine. | 会没事的 |
[04:34] | The victim was a 70 year-old retired school teacher, | 受害者是一位遭到抢劫的70岁的退休教师 |
[04:36] | robbed, beaten to death with a wrench. | 被用扳手殴打致死 |
[04:39] | I was lead detective on the case. | 我是这个案子的首席警探 |
[04:41] | DONNELL: And, Detective, what led you to conclude | 那么,警探先生,是什么使你得出 |
[04:43] | that Lewis Nyler was the killer? | Lewis Nyler是凶手的结论呢? |
[04:45] | Two eyewitnesses gave a description matching his, | 两个目击证人的描述和他吻合 |
[04:49] | one picked him out of a lineup, | 其中一个从指认队列里指认出他 |
[04:50] | he had no alibi, | 他没有不在现场证明 |
[04:52] | his wrench was the murder weapon, | 他的扳手就是凶器 |
[04:54] | and he confessed. | 他也承认了 |
[04:56] | He initially maintained his innocence. | 但他最初坚称自己是无辜的 |
[04:57] | They all do. | 嫌犯都那样 |
[04:58] | DONNELL: But this one was innocent. | 但这一个是无辜的 |
[05:03] | At what point during your interrogation | 我的当事人在你对他的审讯中 |
[05:06] | did my client confess? | 的什么时候招供的? |
[05:07] | Approximately 28 hours. | 大约审了28个小时的时候 |
[05:09] | He was in that room | 他在审讯室里 |
[05:12] | for 28 straight hours? Yes. | – 被连续审了28个小时? – 对 |
[05:15] | You basically wore him down? | 总之你把他折腾得够呛吧? |
[05:16] | The confession was voluntary. | 他的供述是自愿的 |
[05:18] | Detective, a month after my client was convicted, | 警探,我的当事人被定罪一个月后 |
[05:21] | another man confessed to the killing, | 另一个人承认杀了人 |
[05:24] | isn’t that right? | 对吗? |
[05:24] | A man by the name of Mark Carter? | 一个叫Mark Carter的人? |
[05:27] | PEGLER: Unfortunately, we didn’t think | 很不幸,我们认为那份供述不可信 |
[05:28] | that confession was credible. | 很不幸,我们认为那份供述不可信 |
[05:30] | I thought he was trying to make a deal | 我以为他那样做是为了 |
[05:32] | on a different murder he’d been charged with. | 在其另一个被指控的谋杀案中个交易 |
[05:34] | And last year, | 但去年 |
[05:36] | 15 years later, | 也就是案发15年后 |
[05:38] | you finally did a DNA analysis on the wrench, | 你最终对他的扳手做了一次DNA测试 |
[05:41] | didn’t you? Yes. | – 对吗? – 对 |
[05:43] | And what did that analysis tell you? | 测试结果表明了什么? |
[05:45] | That Mark Carter was, indeed, the killer. | Mark Carter的确是凶手 |
[05:49] | We apologize. | 非常对不起 |
[05:53] | Can’t you make a call | 你就不能打个电话 |
[05:54] | and tell them I’m dead or something? | 干脆说我死了或者别的什么? |
[05:55] | They’ve cracked down on jury duty now. | 现在已经在严惩藐视陪审团职责的人了 |
[05:58] | It’s not so easy to get out of. | 想躲过去不太容易 |
[06:00] | Well, what about something medical? | 那就说我生了病如何? |
[06:02] | Well, what have you got, hemorrhoids? | 呃,你得了什么病,痔疮? |
[06:04] | Well, does that work? | 说痔疮管用吗? |
[06:05] | Because I can get one. | 我可以得痔疮的 |
[06:08] | Hello, I’m looking for Lindsay Dole. | 你好,我找Lindsay Dole |
[06:10] | Is she here, by any chance? | 她有可能在这儿吗? |
[06:11] | No, she actually doesn’t work here anymore, | 不,她实际上不再在这儿工作了 |
[06:13] | but her office is right– Yes, I know. | – 但她的办公室就在。。。 – 我知道 |
[06:15] | I worked with her temporarily. | 我暂时为她工作 |
[06:16] | My name’s Claire Wyatt. | 我叫Claire Wyatt |
[06:18] | More about that later. | 以后再聊这个吧 |
[06:19] | Do you know where she is? | 你们知道她现在在哪儿吗? |
[06:20] | No. | 不知道 |
[06:21] | Have you tried her daycare? | 你试着去幼儿园找过她吗? |
[06:22] | Right. | 对呀 |
[06:24] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[06:32] | Lindsay, | |
[06:34] | they wanna meet. | 他们想见一面 |
[06:36] | DOLE: Who? The defendant, | – 谁? – 被告方 |
[06:38] | the Town of Lexington, they wanna meet. | Lexington镇,他们想谈谈 |
[06:39] | They must have an offer. | 他们一定有意和解 |
[06:40] | DOLE: Let’s not jump to conclusions. | 别轻易下结论 |
[06:42] | Why else would they want a conference, | 不然他们为什么要谈谈呢 |
[06:44] | to discuss spring fashions? | 难道是聊春季时装? |
[06:45] | They even agreed to come here. | 他们甚至同意来这儿 |
[06:46] | They must have an offer. | 他们一定有提议了 |
[06:49] | Well, if they wanna discuss settlement, | 如果他们想商量和解 |
[06:51] | it’s best not to appear overanxious. | 你最好不要显得过分焦躁 |
[06:53] | Right. | 行 |
[06:53] | And I’m sure it goes without saying, | 我想这不言而喻 |
[06:56] | try not to freeze or vomit. | 尽量不要发愣或紧张得吐出来 |
[06:57] | Right. | 行 |
[07:02] | That was hurtful. | 这很伤人 |
[07:06] | I have never knowingly prosecuted | 我从来没有故意起诉过 |
[07:08] | an innocent man. | 一个无辜的人 |
[07:09] | But you knew about another man | 但你知道有关另一个人 |
[07:12] | who confessed to being the killer, | 一个叫Mark Carter的人 |
[07:13] | a man by the name of Mark Carter. | 承认自己是凶手的事 |
[07:15] | I heard that allegation | 审判后不久 |
[07:17] | soon after the trial, | 我听说了那个说法 |
[07:19] | but I didn’t believe it. | 但我不相信 |
[07:20] | Did you interview Mr. Carter? | 你约谈过Carter先生吗? |
[07:23] | As I said, I didn’t believe him | 我说过了,我不相信他说的是真的 |
[07:24] | to be telling the truth. | 我说过了,我不相信他说的是真的 |
[07:25] | Did you interview him? | 你约谈过Carter先生吗? |
[07:27] | The prosecutor doesn’t beat the bushes | 寻找新证人的事不归检方管,律师 |
[07:29] | for new witnesses, counsel. | 寻找新证人的事不归检方管,律师 |
[07:31] | I rely on the police for that. | 这些事我依靠警方 |
[07:32] | They said this Mr. Carter was a liar. | 他们说Carter先生是个骗子 |
[07:35] | And that’s what you told the parole board six years ago, | 你六年前就是这么对保释委员会说的 |
[07:37] | when you urged them to deny | 你力促他们否决了Lewis Nyler的保释申请 |
[07:39] | Lewis Nyler’s parole. | 你力促他们否决了Lewis Nyler的保释申请 |
[07:41] | WALSH: Yes, | 是的 |
[07:42] | but once the Innocence Project did the DNA test, | 但一旦“昭雪计划”做了DNA测试 (昭雪计划:非盈利的法律组织,致力于通过 DNA测试来为错误定罪的人开脱罪责) |
[07:45] | we did vacate his conviction, | 我们就撤销了对他的定罪 |
[07:47] | which I, of course, fully supported. | 当然我对这样做是完全支持的 |
[07:48] | DONNELL: After he served 15 years in prison | 这是在他坐了15年冤狱之后 |
[07:52] | for a crime he didn’t commit. | 这是在他坐了15年冤狱之后 |
[07:54] | WALSH: Hey, I wish we had money | 我希望我们有资金 |
[07:56] | to spot-check every conviction | 对每一项定罪都进行核查 |
[07:58] | to make sure this never happens again. | 以保证这种事永远也不会再发生 |
[08:01] | WALSH: We don’t. | 可我们没有 |
[08:02] | DONNELL: How about just interviewing the people | 只是和供称自己有罪的人谈谈又如何呢? |
[08:03] | who confessed to the crime? | 只是和供称自己有罪的人谈谈又如何呢? |
[08:07] | Did you interview him? | 你约谈他了吗? |
[08:09] | I didn’t know about him. Why not? | – 我不知道有他这个人 – 为什么不知道呢? |
[08:11] | Did you follow up on the case, counsel, | 律师,你继续跟进这个案子了吗? |
[08:13] | or did you just move on once your client got convicted? | 还是在你当事人被定罪后就忙别的去了? |
[08:15] | Move to strike. | 请求排除此证词 |
[08:17] | You’re the defense attorney | 你是辩方律师 |
[08:18] | and you’re coming after me, the prosecutor, | 而你却因为我对你当事人的自由不够热心 |
[08:20] | for not being zealous enough | 而你却因为我对你当事人的自由不够热心 |
[08:21] | in securing your client’s freedom. | 来找我这个检察官的麻烦 |
[08:23] | Am I the only one who thinks that’s funny? | 只有我一个人对此感到可笑吗? |
[08:24] | All right, Mr. Walsh. | 行了,Walsh先生 |
[08:26] | Your Honor… | 法官大人。。。 |
[08:28] | just like to say, | 我要说 |
[08:29] | as the D. A. who prosecuted this man, | 作为对这个提起指控的检察官 |
[08:31] | I have a heavy heart. | 我心情很沉重 |
[08:33] | I don’t deny it | 对此我不否认 |
[08:35] | but what about his heart? Move to strike! | – 但辩方律师的心情呢? – 请求排除此证词 |
[08:37] | WALSH: Where was he to request the DNA tests? | 他申请过做DNA测试吗? |
[08:39] | But for the Project Innocence, | 要不是有“昭雪计划” |
[08:40] | his client would still be locked up. | 他的当事人还被关着呢 |
[08:42] | DONNELL: Move to strike! | 请求排除此证词 |
[08:43] | All right, let’s just move on. | 好了,往下进行吧 |
[08:51] | What do you mean no studies? | 什么叫你没研究出来? |
[08:53] | I can’t find any. | 我什么也找不到 |
[08:54] | In fact, the Department of Justice | 实际上,司法部对于 |
[08:56] | doesn’t even track the statistic | 有多少人被错误定罪的问题 |
[08:57] | of how many people are falsely convicted. | 甚至连统计数字都没有 |
[08:59] | That’s impossible. | 不可能的 |
[09:00] | Bobby, next to looks, | Bobby,不说结果看起来如何 |
[09:01] | I pride myself on my research and– | 我对自己的研究还是很满意的。。。 |
[09:03] | Rebecca, can you help Jamie out, please? | Rebecca,你能帮帮Jamie,行吗? |
[09:05] | Did you try the N. I. J.? | 你研究过国家司法研究所的资料吗? |
[09:06] | They documented some cases, | 他们记载了一些案件 |
[09:07] | but there was nothing to overall patterns. | 但总体模式没有什么不同 |
[09:09] | Bobby, let’s face it, this case is a dog. | Bobby,正视现实吧,这案子是个麻烦 |
[09:12] | I realize that, Eugene, but the client wants to try it. | 我意识到这一点了,Eugene,但是当事人希望出庭 |
[09:16] | WASHINGTON: I forget who said it, | 我忘记是谁了 |
[09:17] | but somebody here recently kind of screamed at us | 但最近有人冲我们嚷嚷说 |
[09:20] | to make the client see reason. | 要让当事人明白事理 |
[09:24] | Rebecca… | |
[09:25] | I was the lawyer who lost this one. | 我就是那个输掉这个案子的律师 |
[09:29] | I had an innocent man go to prison on me. | 我让一个无辜的人坐牢 |
[09:34] | If he wants me to do cartwheels for him now, | 如果他现在要我为他上蹿下跳 |
[09:36] | then that’s what I’ll do. | 那我就要去做 |
[09:51] | And how do you decide if he should be released? | 你们怎么决定他是否应该被释放? |
[09:54] | HODGES: There are a number of factors. | 有很多因素 |
[09:56] | Is he still a danger to the community? | 他对社会还是个危险分子吗? |
[09:58] | Has he bettered himself in prison? | 他在监狱里自我改造了吗? |
[10:01] | Has he been rehabilitated? | 他改造好了吗? |
[10:02] | MAN: And you decided that Mr. Nyler | 但你认为Nyler先生 |
[10:04] | was not a good candidate for release. | 不是适合被释放的保释申请人 |
[10:06] | Frankly, he was a terrible candidate. | 坦白说,他是个糟糕的申请人 |
[10:09] | Why? | 为什么? |
[10:10] | His attitude towards us was angry. | 他以愤怒的态度对待我们 |
[10:12] | He wouldn’t take responsibility for his situation, | 他不能为他的处境负起责任 |
[10:15] | and he didn’t give us the confidence we needed to risk | 他没有给我们足够的信心 |
[10:17] | letting him back out on the street. | 去冒险让他回到社会上 |
[10:19] | The police and the prosecutors opposed release, | 警方和检察官还有受害人的家人反对保释 |
[10:21] | as well as the victim’s family. | 警方和检察官还有受害人的家人反对保释 |
[10:23] | This was not a hard call. | 做出决定并不难 |
[10:27] | My client was a model prisoner, | 我的当事人是个模范囚犯 |
[10:29] | no disciplinary problems, | 没有违纪问题 |
[10:30] | correct? Yes. | – 对吗? – 没错 |
[10:32] | The only reason you wouldn’t grant him parole | 你们不准许他假释的唯一理由 |
[10:33] | is because he refused to say he was the killer. | 就是因为他拒绝承认自己是凶手 |
[10:37] | He showed a profound lack of remorse | 他表现出严重缺乏悔过感 |
[10:38] | and wouldn’t accept responsibility | 并不愿意为这起严重犯罪责任 |
[10:40] | for what was a heinous crime. | 并不愿意为这起严重犯罪责任 |
[10:42] | DONNELL: Well, that’s understandable. | 嗯,这是可以理解的 |
[10:44] | I mean, isn’t it? | 不是吗? |
[10:46] | He was innocent. | 他本来就是无辜的 |
[10:47] | HODGES: As it turned out. | 最终结果是这样的 |
[10:48] | Certainly, we didn’t know that. | 我们当时肯定不知道的 |
[10:50] | But you had knowledge that another man confessed. | 但你知道有另一个人认罪了 |
[10:52] | HODGES: We had no knowledge | 我们并不知道 |
[10:54] | that the confession was truthful, nor did we have– | 那份供述是真实的,我们也不。。。 |
[10:56] | DONNELL: And you couldn’t be bothered to find out. | 你们也懒得去查证 |
[10:58] | HODGES: Mr. Donnell, | Donnell先生 |
[11:00] | the parole board does not exist to investigate. | 设立保释委员会并不是为了做调查 |
[11:02] | We assume guilt going in. | 我们假定犯人是有罪的 |
[11:04] | We have to. Otherwise– | 我们必须这样,否则。。。 |
[11:06] | DONNELL: You denied my client parole | 你们是因为我当事人说了实话 |
[11:08] | because he told the truth. | 而驳回了他的保释申请 |
[11:11] | An innocent man served extra time in jail | 一个无辜的人仅仅因为他坚持自己的清白 |
[11:14] | simply because he maintained his innocence. | 而在监狱里多服了刑期 |
[11:16] | In this case, as it worked out, yes. | 本案,从结果看,是这样的 |
[11:18] | And that’s regrettable. | 很遗憾 |
[11:19] | DONNELL: Regrettable? | 遗憾? |
[11:21] | Don’t you think it’s perverse? | 你难道不觉得这不合情理吗? |
[11:23] | He served extra time for being truthful. | 他因为说实话而多服了刑期 |
[11:27] | Mistakes were made in this case, | 这个案子是出了一些错 |
[11:29] | but none of them were ours. | 但没有一个错误是我们造成的 |
[11:30] | We did our job as the law required. | 我们依照法律规定做工作 |
[11:32] | As the law required. | 依照法律规定 |
[11:36] | Ms. Hodges… | Hodges女士。。。 |
[11:37] | had you been armed with the DNA evidence | 如果你掌握了可以确凿地证实我当事人清白的DNA证据 |
[11:40] | that conclusively proved my client’s innocence, | 如果你掌握了可以确凿地证实我当事人清白的DNA证据 |
[11:43] | would you have then granted him parole? | 你会批准他假释吗? |
[11:48] | No. | 不会 |
[11:50] | No? | 不会? |
[11:51] | If your client was still in prison, | 如果你的当事人还在监狱里 |
[11:54] | refusing to accept responsibility, | 拒绝承担责任 |
[11:56] | DNA evidence or not, we’d have no choice. | 不管有没有DNA证据,我们都没有别的选择 |
[11:58] | We would have denied him parole. | 我们会驳回他的保释申请 |
[12:05] | WICKER: I must say, I’m only here | 我不得不说,我来这儿仅仅是 |
[12:07] | at the insistence of a charitable mayor. | 因为一位有慈爱心的镇长的坚持 |
[12:09] | Against my better judgment, | 尽管我对此有不同的意见 |
[12:11] | which is expensive, by the way, | 顺便说一下,这个代价不小 |
[12:12] | I’m putting $35,000 on the table, | 我提出的条件是三万五千 |
[12:15] | condition, of course, on confidentiality. | 当然了,附带条件是要保密 |
[12:17] | Thirty-five thousand? | 才三万五? |
[12:19] | He has learning disabilities. | 他可是有学习障碍问题呀 |
[12:21] | Ms. Wyatt, I don’t think you want the number | Wyatt女士,我认为你并不希望 |
[12:23] | to reflect the merits of your case, | 要一个真正对应这个案件实质的数字 |
[12:24] | because we all know what that number is. | 因为我们都知道那个数字是多少 |
[12:27] | Well, if this is all about charity, | 如果这都是出于慈善 |
[12:29] | why would the mayor wanna keep it such a secret? | 为什么这位市长要将此保密呢? |
[12:31] | Most politicians like photo ops | 大多数政客喜欢用他们的善举来增加知名度 |
[12:33] | with their acts of kindness. | 大多数政客喜欢用他们的善举来增加知名度 |
[12:34] | The secrecy is at my insistence. | 是我坚持要保守秘密的 |
[12:36] | What would happen if every child | 如果每一个顶过足球的孩子 |
[12:39] | who ever headed a soccer ball | 都打电话来索要支票 |
[12:40] | came calling to collect a check? | 该怎么办呀? |
[12:42] | I would think if the children | 我会想如果一个孩子 |
[12:44] | had neurological deficits | 因为市政赞助的足球赛 |
[12:45] | caused by town-sponsored programs, | 而导致神经功能缺陷的话 |
[12:48] | a town would consider compensating them. | 城镇政府应该考虑给他们补偿 |
[12:50] | The $35,000 is on the table today. | 三万五今天之内有效 |
[12:52] | It won’t be, should you lose at summary judgment. | 如果你在即决审判中输了,那就没有了。 |
[12:55] | Now, I won’t advise either of you | 现在,我不会建议你们 |
[12:57] | how to practice law. | 该如何去做律师业务 |
[12:58] | You’re both good attorneys. | 你们俩都是优秀的律师 |
[12:59] | But I will say, come on, do the math. | 但我要说,来盘算一下吧 |
[13:03] | Thirty-five is better than nothing. | 三万五总比没有强 |
[13:08] | WICKER: What are you thinking? | 你觉得呢? |
[13:10] | Ms. Wyatt? | Wyatt女士? |
[13:12] | We’ll take the offer to our client, | 我们会跟我们当事人谈谈 |
[13:14] | then let you know. | 然后答复你 |
[13:19] | I just hit her | 我一开始只是用手打她 |
[13:21] | first with my hand, | 我一开始只是用手打她 |
[13:24] | then with the wrench. | 然后用扳手 |
[13:27] | I don’t know how many times, | 我也说不清打了多少次 |
[13:28] | but I couldn’t stop myself | 我停不下来 |
[13:32] | not till… | 直到。。。 |
[13:34] | she was dead. | 她死了 |
[13:37] | I just couldn’t stop myself. | 我就是停不下来 |
[13:43] | That was you, Mr. Nyler, | 那是你,Nyler先生 |
[13:46] | saying that you did it. | 描述你的所为 |
[13:47] | I had been in that room all night. | 我整晚都在审讯室里 |
[13:50] | But were you tortured? | 你被拷打过吗? |
[13:52] | Did any officer beat you or– | 有任何警官打过你或者。。。 |
[13:54] | It was mental torture. | 那是精神的上的折磨 |
[13:57] | They kept me awake, | 他们不让我睡觉 |
[13:59] | and they said that they wouldn’t let me out | 他们说不招供就不会放过我 |
[14:01] | till I confessed. | 他们说不招供就不会放过我 |
[14:03] | Finally, I, um… | 最后,我,呃。。。 |
[14:06] | I gave in. | 我屈服了 |
[14:08] | Mr. Nyler, | Nyler先生 |
[14:10] | when you looked at that tape just now, | 你现在来看这个录像 |
[14:13] | can you make room for the possibility | 你给警探、陪审团或假释委员 |
[14:16] | that a detective or a jury | 你给警探、陪审团或假释委员 |
[14:18] | or a parole board | 留下了去考量你是否有罪的余地了吗? |
[14:19] | might consider you guilty? | 留下了去考量你是否有罪的余地了吗? |
[14:21] | They didn’t see what went on before that. | 他们没有看到在那之前的事 |
[14:26] | What did go on? | 之前发生了什么事? |
[14:28] | They just kept saying they knew I did it. | 他们一直说他们知道是我干的 |
[14:30] | After 20 hours or so, | 大概20个小时后 |
[14:33] | I was delirious. | 我当时神志不清了 |
[14:36] | I just– | 我就是。。。 |
[14:38] | I was sleep-deprived. | 他们不许我睡觉 |
[14:40] | I was mentally– | 我当时精神上 |
[14:45] | at some point, | 在某个时候 |
[14:48] | I guess you’ll say anything | 我想我是为了让他们住手 |
[14:50] | to get them to stop. | 说什么都行 |
[14:53] | And I did. | 于是我就都说了 |
[14:56] | But the next day, | 但第二天 |
[14:58] | I told them it was a lie. | 我告诉他们那是假的 |
[15:01] | I never did it. | 我绝对没有作案 |
[15:05] | But they didn’t want that statement. | 但是他们不想要那样的陈述 |
[15:08] | They wanted their conviction. | 他们想要的是他们所坚信的 |
[15:11] | They never looked for the truth. | 他们从来不去找寻真相 |
[15:13] | I lost my family, | 我失去了我的家庭 |
[15:17] | my son, | 我的儿子 |
[15:19] | 15 years of my life | 还有我十五年的生活 |
[15:23] | because they never looked for the truth. | 就因为他们从不去找寻真相 |
[15:32] | Have you ever seen a doctor for this? | 你可曾找医生看过这个病吗? |
[15:34] | WYATT: Yes, and he said it’s all anxiety. | 有的,他说都是因为焦虑 |
[15:37] | He suggested I do breathing exercises. | 他建议我做呼吸减压练习 |
[15:40] | It’s not like I black out. | 我不是像那种暂时昏迷的样子 |
[15:42] | It’s just– | 我只是。。。 |
[15:44] | I can’t talk. | 说不出话来 |
[15:47] | Look… | 你看。。。 |
[15:48] | you said you wanted to talk about something. | 你说的你想谈谈 |
[15:50] | Yes, and I appreciate you taking time | 是的,我很感谢你百忙中抽出时间 |
[15:53] | out of your busy schedule. | 是的,我很感谢你百忙中抽出时间 |
[15:55] | I just– | 我只是。。。 |
[15:57] | Lindsay has been giving me little pep talks | Lindsay为了增强我的信心 |
[16:00] | to bolster my confidence, | 一直在鼓励我 |
[16:02] | and, um, well, she told me your story. | 而且,呃,她讲了你的故事 |
[16:04] | My story? | 我的故事? |
[16:05] | Yes, how… | 对,如何。。。 |
[16:07] | a few years ago, | 几年前 |
[16:09] | your nickname was Jimmy The Grunt | 你的绰号是草根儿吉米 |
[16:10] | and nobody took you seriously. | 没人把你当回事 |
[16:13] | Lindsay shared that? | Lindsay跟你说了这个? |
[16:14] | Yes. | 对 |
[16:16] | And well, | 呃 |
[16:18] | I guess… | 我猜。。。 |
[16:19] | I was looking for some insight, | 我正在探求某种领悟力 |
[16:22] | you know, on turning the corner. | 你懂的,遇到关键的转折点时 |
[16:26] | Well… | 好吧。。。 |
[16:28] | with me, | 就我而言 |
[16:30] | I just made up my mind | 我就是下定决心 |
[16:32] | I wasn’t gonna get knocked down. | 我不能被打垮了 |
[16:35] | I was the first lawyer in my family, and– | 我是我们家族的第一个律师,而且。。。 |
[16:39] | but I didn’t have this freezing problem. | 但我没有你这种会发愣的毛病 |
[16:43] | My father’s a lawyer. | 我父亲是一个律师 |
[16:46] | I think it adds to the pressure. | 我想这给我增加了压力 |
[16:50] | I remember the look on his face | 当我告诉他我要上法学院时 |
[16:52] | when I told him that I was going to law school. | 我记得他脸上的表情 |
[16:54] | And he didn’t believe I was cut out for it. | 他不相信我有这本事 |
[16:59] | I think that’s partly why I freeze. | 我想这就是我发愣的部分原因 |
[17:06] | Claire… | |
[17:08] | maybe you should really try to settle. | 或许你真的应该试试去达成和解 |
[17:15] | Nothing? | 什么也没有? |
[17:16] | Not a race disparity, even? | 甚至连种族上差异也没有? |
[17:18] | For sentencing, yes, | 对于量刑,是有差异 |
[17:19] | but not for wrongful convictions. | 但对于错误定罪来说,没有 |
[17:21] | We’re coming up empty. | 我们一无所获 |
[17:22] | There was one law review | 有一个法律报告指出 |
[17:24] | that figured 10,000 wrongful convictions a year, | 每年有10000个错误定罪 |
[17:26] | but there’s no hard data on that. | 但没有确凿的数据 |
[17:27] | WASHINGTON: Bobby, may I ask what are you going for? | Bobby,我可以问一下你要做什么文章吗? |
[17:31] | If you’re planning to argue false convictions are common, | 如果你打算指出错误的判决很常见 |
[17:34] | that goes against your negligence claim. | 那有违你达到过失索赔的目的 |
[17:36] | If you argue they’re not common, | 如果你指出这并不常见 |
[17:38] | that hurts you on foreseeability. | 这就在可预见性方面对你不利 |
[17:40] | What’s your case? | 你要做什么呢? |
[17:42] | I’m not sure. | 我也拿不准 |
[17:45] | You’re not sure? | 你拿不准? |
[17:49] | The truth is… | 实际上。。。 |
[17:51] | Walsh is right. | Walsh说得没错 |
[17:54] | If anybody’s to blame here, it’s probably me. | 如果要归咎某个人,那可能就是我 |
[17:59] | I pored through that trial transcript. | 我仔细阅读了那次庭审的记录 |
[18:01] | You did nothing wrong. | 你没做错什么 |
[18:02] | I should’ve suppressed that confession. | 我本应该使那份供词被排除的 |
[18:04] | You tried. It was voluntary. | 你试过了,那份供述是自愿的 |
[18:06] | And why didn’t I push for DNA testing? | 那我为什么没有争取去做DNA测试? |
[18:08] | WASHINGTON: Bobby, 15 years ago, they weren’t doing that. | Bobby,15年前,他们做不了的 |
[18:09] | But 10 years ago, they were. | 但10年前,可以做的 |
[18:18] | The reality is… | 实际情况是。。。 |
[18:22] | I never went back | 我从来没有追溯此案 |
[18:23] | because I believed | 是因为我相信我的当事人有罪 |
[18:26] | my client was guilty. | 是因为我相信我的当事人有罪 |
[18:30] | I bought into that confession | 就像其他人一样 |
[18:31] | just like everybody else. | 我对那份供词信以为真 |
[18:36] | Not a good thing to bring up in your closing. | 你这些话可别在结案陈述里带出来 |
[18:53] | Thirty-five thousand. | 三万五千元 |
[18:55] | It isn’t much, but– | 是没多少,但是。。。 |
[18:58] | My son has learning disabilities, | 我儿子患上学习障碍症 |
[19:00] | attention deficits. | 注意力缺陷 |
[19:02] | The stumbling block is liability. | 麻烦的是责任认定 |
[19:05] | The doctors can’t establish that heading the soccer ball | 医生无法证实是用头顶球 |
[19:08] | caused the injuries, | 造成了损伤 |
[19:09] | and– The doctors think it’s that, | - 而且。。。 - 医生认为是这个原因 |
[19:12] | and I know conclusively as his mother. | 而且我做为他的母亲完全相信 |
[19:15] | He never had any of these problems | 在参加足球比赛出现头疼之前 |
[19:17] | before the headaches after the soccer games. | 他从来没有这类问题 |
[19:20] | DOLE: There’s also assumption of the risk issues. | 还有对存在风险的估计 |
[19:23] | BOYD: I never assumed | 我在让他踢球之前 |
[19:25] | any risk of neurological disability | 从来没估计还会有神经残疾的风险 |
[19:28] | when I let him play soccer. | 从来没估计还会有神经残疾的风险 |
[19:30] | DOLE: Neither of us is suggesting that $35,000 | 我们俩都不是在说三万五千元 |
[19:33] | will make you or your son whole. | 会使你和你儿子完好如初 |
[19:35] | But you’re telling me to take it. | 但你正跟我说接受这笔钱 |
[19:37] | Because we don’t believe we’ll prevail. | 因为我们不相信我们能打赢 |
[19:39] | I don’t think we’ll even survive summary judgment. | 我甚至认为我们连即决审判都赢不了 |
[19:43] | Thirty-five won’t do it. | 三万五不行 |
[19:45] | Mary… Thirty-five won’t do it. | - 三万五不行 |
[20:00] | When I tried this case 15 years ago, | 当我十五年前为这个案子出庭的时候 |
[20:02] | I was a young, | 我是个年轻人 |
[20:04] | idealistic lawyer | 一个理想主义律师 |
[20:05] | who believed very much | 非常相信 |
[20:07] | that our criminal-justice system | 我们的司法系统是世界上最好的司法系统 |
[20:08] | was the best in the world. | 我们的司法系统是世界上最好的司法系统 |
[20:10] | We’ve heard it said so many times | 对此我们听说过很多次了 |
[20:12] | that we’ve almost come to believe | 以至于我们几乎相信 |
[20:14] | it’s perfect. | 它是完美的 |
[20:16] | Well, it certainly wasn’t perfect for Lewis Nyler. | 然而,对Lewis Nyler来说这肯定不是完美的 |
[20:19] | First, to defend him, he got a kid | 首先,为了给他辩护 |
[20:22] | fresh out of law school. | 一个初出茅庐的毛头律师给他做律师 |
[20:24] | Sure, I’ll say it, | 确实,我要这么说 |
[20:25] | I could’ve, perhaps should’ve done | 我本可以,也许本应该 |
[20:27] | a much better job. | 做得更好一些 |
[20:30] | But the truth is, | 但事实是 |
[20:31] | criminal defendants rarely get the pick of the litter. | 刑事罪被告很少能得到最好的辩护律师 |
[20:34] | And I was a novice, | 而我是个新手 |
[20:36] | looking to pick up experience | 希望获得经验 |
[20:38] | and rent money. | 以及支付房租 |
[20:41] | Imagine… | 想象一下。。。 |
[20:42] | being on trial for murder | 因谋杀罪出庭受审 |
[20:45] | and having an inexperienced if not inferior attorney | 加上一个就算不是最差的也是没有经验的律师 |
[20:48] | happens all the time | 这中情况在我们伟大的刑事司法系统里一直在发生 |
[20:50] | in our great criminal justice system. | 这中情况在我们伟大的刑事司法系统里一直在发生 |
[20:53] | One would hope, given that, | 人们自然会希望,鉴于此, |
[20:55] | that the state would take care to ensure fairness, | 政府会留意去确保公平的 |
[20:59] | one would hope. | 人们自然会这么希望的 |
[21:02] | Look what the state did here. | 看看本案中政府做了什么吧 |
[21:03] | First, the parole issue. | 首先,假释问题 |
[21:05] | Lewis Nyler, an innocent man, | Lewis Nyler,一个无辜的人 |
[21:08] | served an extra six years in prison | 在监狱里多呆了六年 |
[21:11] | for refusing to say he was guilty. | 只因为他拒绝承认自己有罪 |
[21:14] | Let me say that again. | 让我再说一次 |
[21:16] | An innocent man | 一个无辜的人 |
[21:18] | served additional time | 因不承认有罪 |
[21:21] | for not admitting guilt. | 而超期服刑 |
[21:25] | The perversity of that speaks for itself. | 这种反常的行为本身就说明了问题 |
[21:28] | The even bigger question, | 而更大的问题是 |
[21:31] | how did an innocent man | 一个无辜的人 |
[21:34] | end up in prison | 在一开始怎么就进了监狱? |
[21:35] | to begin with? | 在一开始怎么就进了监狱? |
[21:37] | We certainly know it happens, | 我们当然知道这些会发生 |
[21:39] | the Central Park jogger case, | 中央公园慢跑者案 (著名案件,警方逮捕大量嫌犯进行审讯, 缺乏证据情况下强迫认罪) |
[21:41] | Rampart, all the reversals from DNA, | Rampart丑闻,所有的DNA翻案 (Rampart丑闻指的是,上世纪90年代末, 洛杉矶警察局Rampart部门的反黑帮小组 在社区资源中普遍存在警察腐败) |
[21:44] | and the work of Project Innocence, | 还有昭雪计划的工作 |
[21:46] | we now know | 我们现在知道 |
[21:47] | that people get falsely convicted a lot. | 很多人被错误定罪 |
[21:50] | I hoped to present you with studies, | 我希望给你们介绍一些研究结果 |
[21:52] | but guess what? | 但你们猜怎么着? |
[21:54] | There aren’t any. | 什么也没有 |
[21:55] | In fact, the United States Department of Justice | 事实上,美国司法部 |
[21:57] | doesn’t even track statistics on how many people | 甚至不对每年有多少人被错误定罪 |
[22:00] | get falsely convicted every year. | 做跟踪统计 |
[22:02] | That’s outrageous. | 太离谱了 |
[22:04] | Add to that | 再加上 |
[22:05] | nobody is trying | 没人试图 |
[22:07] | to remedy the problem. | 来解决这个问题 |
[22:10] | With all these overturned convictions and revelations of enormous error, | 所有这些被翻案的定罪和对巨大错误的揭露 |
[22:14] | not once | 没有一次 |
[22:16] | has any court or jurisdiction | 有任何法院或辖区警局 |
[22:18] | gone back and tried to figure out how it happened. | 进行案件回溯并试图弄清原委 |
[22:20] | Your Honor, I’m sorry, | 法官大人,对不起打断一下 |
[22:21] | but he’s introducing evidence here. | 他这是自己在提出证据 |
[22:23] | I’m going to allow it. | 我对此准许 |
[22:25] | DONNELL: In medicine, | 在医学领域 |
[22:26] | if a patient dies, immediately, | 如果一个病人死了, |
[22:28] | a morbidity and mortality commission | 立刻就会组织一个委员会 |
[22:30] | is assembled to figure out how. | 去查明发病和死亡原因 |
[22:32] | If a building collapses, engineers and architects | 如果一座建筑物倒塌,工程师和建筑师 |
[22:35] | convene to ascertain the cause, | 召开会议查明原因 |
[22:37] | but in criminal justice, | 但在刑事司法系统 |
[22:38] | with so many false convictions, | 有这么多错误定罪 |
[22:40] | we’re doing nothing | 我们既不去解决问题 |
[22:43] | to either fix the problem | 我们既不去解决问题 |
[22:44] | or even probe the cause, | 甚至也不去查明原因 |
[22:46] | nothing. | 什么也没做 |
[22:47] | LANDER: All right, Mr. Donnell. | 好了,Donnell先生 |
[22:48] | I think I will ask you | 我想我要请你 |
[22:50] | to confine yourself to this case. | 把你的发言限制在这个案子内 |
[22:53] | This case | 这个案子 |
[22:56] | is about governmental arrogance. | 是关于政府的傲慢 |
[22:59] | An innocent man was thrown into an interrogation room | 一个无辜的人被扔进审讯室 |
[23:02] | and not let out | 直到28小时后 |
[23:03] | until he signed a false confession | 他签了假供词之后为止 |
[23:05] | 28 hours later. | 他签了假供词之后为止 |
[23:07] | Despite the real killer confessing to the crime, | 尽管真正的凶手承认了罪行 |
[23:10] | Lewis Nyler continued to serve | Lewis Nyler继续服完15年的刑期 |
[23:12] | 15 years in prison, | Lewis Nyler继续服完15年的刑期 |
[23:16] | the last six simply for insisting | 最后的六年刑期 |
[23:19] | on his innocence. | 只是因为他坚持自己是无辜的 |
[23:23] | He lost his family, | 他失去了他的家庭 |
[23:29] | a big part of his life, | 生命中的一大部分 |
[23:34] | and the state offers no compensation, | 而政府不提供任何补偿 |
[23:38] | nor has it so much as thrown together a panel | 竟然也没有召集一个专门小组 |
[23:41] | to ask how it happened. | 来探究事情的原委 |
[23:42] | That’s arrogance. | 这就是一种傲慢 |
[23:45] | My fix, | 我的解决办法 |
[23:48] | we need a jury | 我们需要一个陪审团 |
[23:50] | to motivate the state | 来推动政府 |
[23:52] | to re-examine its procedures, | 去复核法律程序 |
[23:54] | not just for Lewis Nyler’s sake, | 不仅仅是为了Lewis Nyler |
[23:56] | but for the next innocent man, | 而是为了下一个无辜的人 |
[23:58] | and the next innocent man after that, | 再下一个无辜的人 |
[24:00] | and the one after that. | 接着再下一个 |
[24:03] | We need a jury | 我们需要一个陪审团 |
[24:05] | to motivate the state | 来推动政府 |
[24:06] | to make our criminal justice system | 使我们的刑事犯罪司法系统 |
[24:08] | every bit as good as it’s cracked up to be. | 每一方面都像据说的那么好 |
[24:14] | You know, 15 years later, | 知道吗,15年后 |
[24:15] | I still consider myself | 我仍然认为我自己 |
[24:17] | an idealistic attorney. | 是个理想主义的律师 |
[24:21] | I guess in the spirit | 我想本着理想主义的精神 |
[24:23] | of that idealism, | 我想本着理想主义的精神 |
[24:26] | as well as in the spirit of simple… | 以及简单正义的精神。。。 |
[24:28] | fairness. | 以及简单正义的精神。。。 |
[24:34] | I am hoping… | 我希望。。。 |
[24:38] | you’re that jury. | 你们就是那个陪审团 |
[24:55] | Very inspiring | 非常感人 |
[24:58] | but, uh, | 但是,呃 |
[25:00] | let’s look at the merits of the case | 让我们审视这个案子的实际情况 |
[25:02] | instead of the politics. | 而不是谈论政治 |
[25:05] | First, the parole issue, | 首先,保释问题 |
[25:08] | a parole board exists | 保释委员会的设立 |
[25:09] | not to determine innocence or guilt, | 并不是去确定无辜还是有罪 |
[25:11] | but to determine whether a prisoner | 而是去确定是否一个犯人 |
[25:13] | is fit for release, | 适于被释放 |
[25:14] | i.e. rehabilitation, | 也就是说是否被改造好了 |
[25:17] | the board assumes guilt. | 毕竟委员会假定犯人是有罪的 |
[25:20] | Occasionally, | 偶尔 |
[25:21] | that results in an innocent man | 这会导致一个无辜的人 |
[25:23] | being required | 被要求承认一起他并没有犯下的罪行 |
[25:24] | to acknowledge guilt for a crime | 被要求承认一起他并没有犯下的罪行 |
[25:26] | that he didn’t commit, | 被要求承认一起他并没有犯下的罪行 |
[25:27] | and that is unfortunate, | 这是很不幸的 |
[25:29] | but what’s the alternative? | 但有什么选择呢? |
[25:31] | No such requirement? | 无需这样的要求吗? |
[25:34] | We’re going to start paroling prisoners | 我们打算让那些没有表达悔意的囚犯获得保释吗? |
[25:36] | who don’t express remorse? | 我们打算让那些没有表达悔意的囚犯获得保释吗? |
[25:40] | You really want that? | 你们真希望这样吗? |
[25:43] | As for the bigger question, | 至于那个更大的问题 |
[25:45] | how did he end up in jail to begin with? | 他一开始怎么就进了监狱? |
[25:49] | A terrible, horrific result, | 这是一个可怕的令人反感的结果 |
[25:51] | no argument here, | 这毫无争议 |
[25:52] | but whose fault, really? | 但这到底是谁的错? |
[25:58] | Lewis Nyler’s wrench was the murder weapon, | Lewis Nyler的扳手是凶器 |
[26:00] | two witnesses described him, | 两个证人描述出他的样子 |
[26:02] | one even pulled him out of a lineup, | 一个甚至把他从指认队列里认出来了 |
[26:04] | and he confessed. | 还有他的供述 |
[26:06] | Oh, Mr. Donnell, | 对了,Donnell先生 |
[26:07] | he left that out of his stirring speech. | 他在激动人心的演讲中没有提到这一点 |
[26:09] | Lewis Nyler confessed. | Lewis Nyler坦白了 |
[26:13] | And there was nothing illegal | 那个坦白不存在任何违法的问题 |
[26:14] | about that confession. | 那个坦白不存在任何违法的问题 |
[26:16] | It was constitutional, | 是符合宪法规定的 |
[26:18] | voluntary, valid. | 是自愿的,有效的 |
[26:21] | So who do we blame? | 那么我们要责怪谁呢? |
[26:26] | The witnesses, who made a mistake? | 是犯了错的证人吗? |
[26:30] | Good luck. | 那就恭喜了 |
[26:31] | No witness will ever come forward again | 因为害怕被起诉 |
[26:33] | for fear of being sued. | 再也不会有证人站出来了 |
[26:35] | The police or the prosecutors | 是依赖这些证人以及其他包括凶器 |
[26:37] | for relying on those witnesses, | 是依赖这些证人以及其他包括凶器 |
[26:38] | as well as the other evidence, | 和口供在内的证据的警方或检察官吗? |
[26:40] | including a murder weapon | 和口供在内的证据的警方或检察官吗? |
[26:42] | and a confession? | 和口供在内的证据的警方或检察官吗? |
[26:45] | The parole board for believing | 是遵循犯人定罪后法律程序的保释委员会吗? |
[26:46] | in a prisoner’s guilt post-conviction? | 是遵循犯人定罪后法律程序的保释委员会吗? |
[26:51] | Now, if you are desperate | 现在,如果你们非要归咎于谁的话 |
[26:53] | to find blame here, | 现在,如果你们非要归咎于谁的话 |
[26:56] | you might start with Mr. Nyler. | 或许可以先从Nyler先生开始 |
[27:00] | He lied. | 他撒谎了 |
[27:02] | Maybe he was vulnerable after a lengthy interrogation. | 或许他经过长时间的审讯后很脆弱 |
[27:05] | I’ll give you that, | 我承认这一点 |
[27:07] | but let’s face it, we might not be here | 但是面对现实吧,如果Lewis Nyler |
[27:09] | if Lewis Nyler had not signed that confession, | 没有在供词上签字承认他犯了罪 |
[27:12] | saying that he committed the crime. | 我们也许就不来这儿了 |
[27:17] | And as for why the state | 至于为什么政府 |
[27:19] | hasn’t done a better job asking questions, | 没有更好地查明问题 |
[27:22] | analyzing mistakes, | 分析错误原因 |
[27:24] | Mr. Donnell certainly is idealistic. | Donnell先生当然是个理想主义者 |
[27:28] | The reason that our criminal justice system | 我国刑事司法制度是世界上最好的制度的原因 |
[27:30] | is the best in the world | 我国刑事司法制度是世界上最好的制度的原因 |
[27:31] | is because it is so thoroughly | 就在于它是如此彻底地采用 |
[27:33] | adversarial. | 对抗性机制 |
[27:36] | The check that we have | 我们针对错误定罪的审核手段 |
[27:38] | against false convictions, | 我们针对错误定罪的审核手段 |
[27:40] | the best check– the defense attorney. | 最佳的审核手段。。。是辩方律师 |
[27:44] | And I have to ask | 我不得不问 |
[27:47] | if the IDs of those witnesses | 如果证人的指认是可被质询的 |
[27:49] | were impeachable, | 如果证人的指认是可被质询的 |
[27:50] | if that confession | 如果那份供述是存疑的 |
[27:52] | was suspect, | 如果那份供述是存疑的 |
[27:53] | if that DNA existed | 如果DNA证据存在了十五年之久 |
[27:56] | for 15 years, | 如果DNA证据存在了十五年之久 |
[27:58] | where, I ask, was his lawyer? | 我要问,他的律师在干嘛? |
[28:04] | Now, | 现在 |
[28:06] | if Mr. Donnell and all of his idealism, | 如果Donnell先生和他的理想主义 |
[28:08] | is suggesting that we do our jobs | 是在要求我们把他份内的工作也做了 |
[28:10] | as well as his, | 是在要求我们把他份内的工作也做了 |
[28:12] | well, | 那么 |
[28:14] | there’s burden | 那是责任问题 |
[28:16] | and then there’s burden. | 那是责任的问题 |
[28:26] | DOLE: The thing about Lander, | 关于Lander法官 |
[28:28] | he’s a fair judge, | 他是个公正的法官 |
[28:29] | smart, | 机敏 |
[28:30] | but he’s extremely active. | 但他非常活跃 |
[28:32] | Okay. | 知道了 |
[28:33] | His docket is also pretty congested, | 还有,他的卷宗也堆得满满的 |
[28:35] | which means you can expect some intolerance. | 就就是说估计会对你有些不宽容 |
[28:37] | Why? | 怎么讲? |
[28:38] | You’re suing a town | 你在因举办足球赛而起诉一个城镇 |
[28:40] | for having a soccer program. | 你在因举办足球赛而起诉一个城镇 |
[28:42] | Also, | 还有 |
[28:43] | he has a bit of a reputation | 他有些以对弱势一方态度不好而闻名 |
[28:45] | for beating up on the weak, | 他有些以对弱势一方态度不好而闻名 |
[28:47] | and… | 还有。。。 |
[28:48] | he doesn’t much like women. | 他不怎么喜欢女人 |
[28:50] | Great. | 这真行 |
[28:51] | You need to stand your ground, Claire. | 你要坚持立场,Claire |
[28:54] | Right. Okay. | 好的 |
[28:59] | Would you like me to do this? | 你想让我来办这个案子吗? |
[29:01] | Why do you ask that? | 你为什么这么问? |
[29:03] | Well, you… | 呃,你。。。 |
[29:05] | you seem uneasy. | 看起来很不安 |
[29:09] | Claire, | |
[29:13] | please, please, don’t be offended | 请你,请你不要 |
[29:15] | by what I’m about to say. | 对我要说的话生气 |
[29:18] | Some lawyers though very capable, | 有些律师虽然很能干 |
[29:20] | extremely intelligent | 非常聪明 |
[29:22] | aren’t quite equipped to be trial attorneys. | 却不太适合当出庭律师 |
[29:25] | It takes a certain stomach. | 要有一定的勇气 |
[29:29] | I’m not saying that you lack the stomach. | 我不是说你没有勇气 |
[29:32] | I’m just saying that, uh, | 我只是说,呃 |
[29:34] | that it’s no great shame– | 这不是什么丢脸的事。。。 |
[29:35] | I feel quite strongly I’m equipped. | 我觉得我很有能力 |
[29:39] | Okay. | 那好吧 |
[29:43] | If, uh, if you need any more help, | 如果,呃,如果你需要些帮助 |
[29:45] | just, uh, just call me, okay? | 只要,呃,只要跟我提就行,好吗? |
[29:48] | Uh-hmm. | 嗯 |
[29:50] | DOLE: I’ll see you in there. | 出庭时见 |
[29:51] | Okay. | 好的 |
[30:16] | No word? | 没判决吗? |
[30:20] | Not yet. | 还没有 |
[30:24] | They haven’t been out too long, really. | 陪审团还没商议多久 |
[30:34] | You’ve been beating yourself up | 在这件事上 |
[30:35] | pretty good over this one. | 你一直很自责 |
[30:37] | I think it should be a law. | 我认为应该制定一条法律 |
[30:40] | For any crime where the defendant faces prison | 对于任何面临十年以上刑期的罪犯 |
[30:42] | for ten years or more, | 对于任何面临十年以上刑期的罪犯 |
[30:44] | the attorney should be required | 辩护律师应该要求 |
[30:46] | to have at least five years | 至少有五年以上的经验 |
[30:48] | of experience. | 至少有五年以上的经验 |
[30:49] | Problem is, | 问题在于 |
[30:52] | most lawyers, once they get that much experience, | 大多数律师,一旦有了丰富的经验 |
[30:54] | tend to have paying clients. | 倾向于付费的客户 |
[30:57] | And the last thing they want | 他们最不想办的案子 |
[30:58] | are criminal cases. | 都是刑事案件 |
[31:00] | That’s what makes our work so noble, | 这就是为什么我们的工作如此高尚 |
[31:04] | remember? | 还记得吗? |
[31:07] | Bobby, you’re never gonna believe | Bobby,你绝对不会相信谁来找你了 |
[31:09] | who’s here to see you. | Bobby,你绝对不会相信谁来找你了 |
[31:21] | Could you get me off a jury? | 你能让我不参加陪审团吗? |
[31:23] | YOUNG: Come on, Lucy. | 走吧,Lucy |
[31:28] | If your therapist sent you here, I’m not– | 如果是你的治疗师让你到这儿,我可不会 |
[31:31] | That’s not it. | 不是的 |
[31:32] | Then what is it? | 那是什么事? |
[31:35] | Look, | 听着 |
[31:37] | Bobby, | |
[31:40] | I’d be lying if I said I… | 如果我说不想胜过你 |
[31:42] | didn’t enjoy getting the better of you. | 我那就是在撒谎 |
[31:44] | I do. | 我想赢你 |
[31:47] | But what I wanna clear up, and, uh, | 但我要澄清的是,呃, |
[31:50] | you can dismiss this if you– | 你可以撤案的,如果你。。。 |
[31:51] | Just say it, Ken. | 有话直说吧,Ken |
[31:54] | When those DNA results came back | 当DNA结果出来证明你的当事人无辜的时候 |
[31:56] | clearing your guy, | 当DNA结果出来证明你的当事人无辜的时候 |
[31:59] | it was devastating | 对我打击很大 |
[32:01] | not because I lost a conviction, | 不是因为我失去了一次成功定罪的记录 |
[32:04] | but because… | 而是因为。。。 |
[32:06] | to think I played a part | 想到我在使某人坐了冤狱 |
[32:07] | in someone doing time. | 的事件中起了部分作用 |
[32:10] | No prosecutor sits well with it. | 没有一个检察官能心安理得 |
[32:14] | And I bet… | 但我敢打赌。。。 |
[32:17] | though it was news you were hoping to get | 尽管某种程度上你希望听到那样的消息 |
[32:22] | on some level, | 尽管某种程度上你希望听到那样的消息 |
[32:23] | it was devastating for you, too. | 那对你也是很大的打击 |
[32:30] | That it? | 说完了? |
[32:37] | Oh, piss off, then. | 靠,滚你的蛋吧 |
[32:48] | Imagine the floodgate | 想象一下诉讼如闸门打开一样泛滥 |
[32:50] | of litigation. | 想象一下诉讼如闸门打开一样泛滥 |
[32:52] | First, we’re suing over soccer injuries. | 我们首次起诉足球带来的伤害 |
[32:54] | Tomorrow, football players will be lining up. | 明天足球运动员将排着队来起诉 |
[32:56] | After that, hockey, | 然后,曲棍球 |
[32:58] | wrestling, | 摔跤 |
[32:59] | come on. | 想想吧 |
[33:01] | Kids sometimes get hurt | 孩子们做运动有时会受伤 |
[33:02] | playing sports. | 孩子们做运动有时会受伤 |
[33:04] | It’s a fact. It’s common sense. | 这是事实也是常识 |
[33:06] | It’s also common sense | 一个城镇不能 |
[33:08] | that a town can’t have parents | 每次发生事故被家长们起诉 |
[33:10] | suing them every time there’s an accident. | 这也是常识 |
[33:12] | I would add to that, Your Honor, | 我还要补充一点,法官大人 |
[33:14] | that the plaintiff signed a waiver, | 原告签署了弃权书 |
[33:17] | waiving any and all negligence lawsuits | 免除任何以及所有 |
[33:20] | based upon injuries from soccer. | 源于踢球带来的伤害的过失诉讼 |
[33:22] | In short and accordingly, | 简而言之 |
[33:24] | this action should be dismissed immediately | 从法律角度考虑 |
[33:25] | as a matter of law, | 这起诉讼应该立即驳回 |
[33:26] | also as a matter of simple practicality, | 从纯粹的实事求是角度来看也应如此 |
[33:28] | because this is just plain silly. | 因为这起诉讼实在是蠢透了 |
[33:35] | LANDER: Ms. Wyatt? | Wyatt女士? |
[33:44] | Ms. Wyatt, | Wyatt女士 |
[33:45] | do you have a response? | 你有什么要回应的的 |
[33:51] | You okay? | 你没事吧? |
[34:00] | Your Honor, | 法官大人 |
[34:02] | Timothy Boyd is a young boy | Timothy Boyd是个小男孩 |
[34:03] | who chose to play soccer in a program that– | 他选择参加了一个踢足球的。。。 |
[34:06] | The town is full of young boys playing soccer, counsel. | 律师,镇上到处都是踢足球的小男孩 |
[34:08] | They break legs, bump heads, get concussions. | 他们摔断了腿,撞到了头,得了脑震荡 |
[34:11] | It’s a contact sport, for God’s sake. | 看在上帝的份上,这是一项身体接触性的运动 |
[34:13] | That’s why they sign waivers. | 这就是他们签署弃权书的原因 |
[34:14] | Yes, but we’re not talking about | 没错,但是我们不是在谈论 |
[34:16] | a hazardous game where accidents can happen. | 一项可能会发生意外危险的运动 |
[34:19] | We’re alleging that the game itself | 我们声称的是这项运动本身 |
[34:20] | is inherently unsafe, | 就是本质上不安全的 |
[34:22] | that even when played correctly without mishap, | 即使玩法正确且没有失误 |
[34:25] | it can still result in neurological injuries, | 还是能导致神经系统损伤 |
[34:27] | as it did with Timothy Boyd. | 就像Timothy Boyd那样 |
[34:28] | Come on, counsel, I got precedents staring me | 算了吧,律师,我眼下就有可援引的案例 |
[34:30] | right in the face here. | 算了吧,律师,我眼下就有可援引的案例 |
[34:32] | You can’t hold a city liable | 你不能因在足球比赛中受伤 |
[34:34] | for injuries in a soccer game. | 而让一个城镇为此承担责任 |
[34:35] | Did you read these cases? | 你看了那些案例了吗? |
[34:36] | I read them, Your Honor. | 我看了,法官大人 |
[34:39] | And I don’t interpret them to bar the type of lawsuit | 但我并不把那些案例解读为 |
[34:41] | that we’re bringing. | 要阻止我们提起这类诉讼 |
[34:42] | You wouldn’t. | 你不会的 |
[34:45] | You’ll agree soccer | 根据判例法 |
[34:46] | would be a hazardous recreational activity | 你会认同足球是一项危险的娱乐活动 |
[34:49] | under the case law, wouldn’t you? | 不是吗? |
[34:58] | Wouldn’t you Ms. Wyatt? | 不是吗,Wyatt女士? |
[35:04] | WYATT: I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[35:06] | LANDER: Let me read some of the language for you, | 让我来给你读几段吧 |
[35:08] | counsel. | 律师 |
[35:10] | “Soccer, unquestionably, | “足球,毫无疑问 |
[35:12] | is a hazardous activity, within the meaning of–“ | 是一种危险活动,其含义是指。。。” |
[35:15] | WYATT: But the hazard they’re talking about | 但他们所说的危险 |
[35:17] | relates to body contact. | 是与身体接触有关 |
[35:19] | So what? | 那又怎么了? |
[35:20] | WYATT: Look, we all know | 听我说,我们都明白 |
[35:21] | when kids play football, | 孩子踢足球 |
[35:24] | or basketball, or hockey, | 或者玩篮球打曲棍球的时候 |
[35:25] | bones get broken. | 发生了骨折 |
[35:26] | We can’t have parents running into court | 我们不能让家长 |
[35:29] | to sue every time something like that happens. | 每次发生这样的事就跑去法庭起诉 |
[35:30] | I totally agree. | 这一点我完全同意 |
[35:32] | But this case isn’t that. | 但是这个案子不是这样的 |
[35:35] | Soccer calls for heading. | 足球需要用头 |
[35:37] | It encourages, promotes, | 这助长了,促进了,且需要那种恰好产生伤害的活动 |
[35:39] | and demands the very activity | 这助长了,促进了,且需要那种恰好产生伤害的活动 |
[35:41] | that’s doing the damage. | 这助长了,促进了,且需要那种恰好产生伤害的活动 |
[35:42] | That makes this case different | 这使得本案不同于 |
[35:43] | from anything anticipated by the case law | 所有可以参照判例法 |
[35:47] | or the Massachusetts Claims Torts Act. | 或者马萨诸塞州侵权索赔法的案件 |
[35:49] | But even if you’re right, | 即使你说得对 |
[35:51] | counsel, | 律师 |
[35:52] | you have assumption of the risk problems. | 你已经对风险问题承担了责任 |
[35:54] | Certainly, your client knew | 你的当事人当然知道 |
[35:56] | that heading was part of the game. | 用头顶球是这项运动的一部分 |
[35:57] | But he didn’t know it was dangerous. | 但他不知道那样是危险的 |
[36:00] | The defendant didn’t even know. | 被告方甚至也不知道 |
[36:01] | How do you know what the defendant knew? | 你怎么知道被告方知道些什么呢? |
[36:04] | Well, I’m assuming had they known the risks, | 呃,我在假设如果他们知道有危险 |
[36:05] | they would’ve mandated helmets. | 他们会要求戴头盔的 |
[36:08] | Well, if they weren’t aware of the risk, | 那么,如果他们不知道有危险 |
[36:11] | then how can they be negligent | 那他们又怎么要因疏于防范 |
[36:12] | for failing to safeguard against it? | 而负有过失责任呢? |
[36:19] | Did you hear my question, counsel? | 你听到我的问题了吗,律师? |
[36:21] | I heard it. | 我听到了 |
[36:26] | The essence of our negligence claim | 我们提出的过失索赔的实质 |
[36:28] | is that the city failed | 是这个城镇 |
[36:30] | to properly ascertain the degree of danger. | 没有正确地查明危险的程度 |
[36:33] | Along with every municipality in the country, | 以及全国的每个市镇吧 |
[36:35] | then for that matter, the world. | 而就这件事来说,全世界都是 |
[36:38] | That may be true, | 或许就是如此 |
[36:40] | but lawsuits, especially ones | 但是诉讼 |
[36:41] | based on theories of negligence, | 尤其是基于过失理由的诉讼 |
[36:43] | are primarily about allocating burden. | 根本上是划分责任 |
[36:46] | Who’s better able to bear the burden of fixing the problem? | 谁能更好地承担解决问题的重任? |
[36:49] | That’s the questions courts ask. | 这就是法庭要问的问题 |
[36:50] | Well, here, I ask you, | 呃,在此,我要问您 |
[36:52] | who’s in a better position to detect | 谁更有资格去查明 |
[36:54] | whether soccer’s an inherently unsafe sport, | 足球是否是一项本来就不安全性的运动 |
[36:56] | a municipality | 是一个城镇当局呢 |
[36:58] | or an eight year-old boy? | 还是一个八岁大的男孩? |
[37:00] | Fine. Then under your logic, | 那好,就按你的逻辑 |
[37:02] | if it were suddenly determined | 如果突然查明 |
[37:03] | that running causes cancer, | 跑步会致癌 |
[37:07] | you could sue city field-and-track programs | 你可以起诉城市田径项目 |
[37:10] | because the city is in a better position | 因为市政府更有资格 |
[37:12] | to make the discovery. | 去做出这个发现 |
[37:14] | No, that’s not the same. Why not? | – 不,那不一样 – 为什么不呢? |
[37:16] | Because the idea that running causes cancer, | 因为跑步会致癌 |
[37:19] | that’s wildly unforeseeable. | 是无法预料到的 |
[37:21] | The notion that kids heading soccer balls | 而孩子们用头顶球 |
[37:23] | can cause brain damage is not, | 会造成大脑损伤的想法则不是 |
[37:25] | especially since we all know | 尤其是因为我们都知道 |
[37:27] | that young brains are not fully matured, | 年轻人的大脑尚未发育成熟 |
[37:29] | especially since doctors have been saying it, | 也尤其是因为医生们已经有这种看法了 |
[37:31] | especially since there are studies documenting it. | 更尤其是因为有研究证明了这一点 |
[37:34] | And since it’s a question of fact, | 既然这是个有关事实的问题 |
[37:36] | I would also– All right, I’ve heard enough. | – 我也会。。。 – 好了,我听够了 |
[37:38] | With all due respect, Your Honor, | 恕我冒昧,法官大人 |
[37:39] | I’m not quite finished. | 我还没说完呢 |
[37:40] | I said… | 我说了。。。 |
[37:42] | I’ve heard enough, counsel. | 我已经听够了,律师 |
[37:51] | Defendant’s motion to dismiss | 被告方提出的撤案动议 |
[37:53] | is denied. | 被驳回 |
[37:55] | The trial date will be set the first week in March. | 开庭日期定在三月的第一周 |
[37:57] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[38:08] | He really said that, right? We won the motion? | 他真的这么说了吗,对吗?我们赢得了动议? |
[38:10] | How many times are you gonna ask me? | 你要问我多少次呀? |
[38:12] | Well, I just keep thinking it’s a mistake | 我只是一直认为这弄错了 |
[38:14] | or some practical joke. | 或者是一些恶作剧 |
[38:17] | I actually beat John Wicker | 我真的在即决判决听证会上 |
[38:20] | in a summary-judgment hearing. | 打败了John Wicker |
[38:22] | Thank you, Lindsay. | 谢谢你,Lindsay |
[38:23] | Hey, you did it. | 你是做到的 |
[38:25] | I just sat there. | 我只不过坐在一边儿而已 |
[38:27] | But your being there by my side | 但有你在我身边 |
[38:30] | gave me some credibility, I know. | 让我觉得很可靠 |
[38:32] | Hopefully, now I’ll be able to settle. | 现在可以指望达成和解了 |
[38:34] | Listen, I know I said you could stay here | 我知道我说过你可以在这儿 |
[38:36] | a full three weeks, | 呆满三个星期 |
[38:38] | but I’d like to go back on my word a little | 但我想收回我的话了 |
[38:41] | and offer you a full-time job. | 并给你提供一份全职工作 |
[38:44] | What? | 什么? |
[38:46] | I’d also like to retract my doubt over you | 我也想收回对你作为一名出庭律师的怀疑 |
[38:48] | being a trial lawyer. | 我也想收回对你作为一名出庭律师的怀疑 |
[38:52] | You’re offering me a job? | 你要给我一份工作? |
[38:54] | You’re equipped, Claire. | Claire,你具备能力的 |
[38:58] | You belong in that room. | 你属于法庭 |
[39:09] | KIRKLAND: Mr. Foreman, | 陪审团主席先生 |
[39:10] | has the jury reached a verdict? | 你们得出裁决了吗? |
[39:12] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人 |
[39:13] | In the matter of Lewis Nyler | Lewis Nyler诉 |
[39:14] | versus the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, et al, | 马萨诸塞州政府以及相关人等一案 |
[39:17] | how find you? | 你们的裁决是? |
[39:19] | As to the claim of wrongful imprisonment, | 有关非法监禁的指控 |
[39:21] | we the jury find | 陪审团裁定 |
[39:23] | for the plaintiff, | 原告胜诉 |
[39:24] | Lewis Nyler. | |
[39:26] | As to compensatory damages, | 有关赔偿损失 |
[39:28] | we order the defendants to pay Lewis Nyler | 我们责令被告付给Lewis Nyler |
[39:31] | $400,000. | 四十万美元 |
[39:33] | As to punitive damages based on intentional | 针对蓄意或不计后果的非法监禁的惩罚性赔偿 |
[39:36] | or reckless false imprisonment, | 针对蓄意或不计后果的非法监禁的惩罚性赔偿 |
[39:38] | we order the defendants to pay Lewis Nyler | 我们认定被告无需支付 |
[39:41] | nothing. | 我们认定被告无需支付 |
[39:43] | KIRKLAND: Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, | 陪审团先生们女士们 |
[39:44] | the court thanks you for your service. | 法庭感谢你们的服务 |
[39:47] | You are dismissed. | 可以解散了 |
[39:48] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 |
[39:53] | Congratulations. | 恭喜你 |
[39:55] | It didn’t exactly send a message, but– | 这结果并没有起到警示的作用的,但。。。 |
[39:57] | It was something. | 这是有意义的 |
[40:00] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[40:05] | Listen, Lewis, uh, | 听我说,Lewis,呃 |
[40:07] | it needs to be said. | 需要说的是 |
[40:08] | No, | 不必了 |
[40:10] | it doesn’t, Bobby. | 不必了,Bobby |
[40:14] | May I ask… | 我能问问。。。 |
[40:17] | why’d you even want me for this trial? | 你为什么这次要我来办? |
[40:21] | It’s not as if– | 这不像是。。。 |
[40:24] | Project Innocence got you out. | 因为是昭雪计划还你清白的 |
[40:26] | I was the one… | 而我是那个。。。 |
[40:33] | why? | 为什么? |
[40:35] | I knew you’d be motivated. | 我知道你会有动力的 |
[40:42] | I’m sorry, Lewis. | 对不起, Lewis |
[40:47] | I wish I could give you back those years. | 我希望我能帮你找回那些时光 |
[40:49] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[40:51] | Thank you, Bobby. | 谢谢你,Bobby |
[41:08] | WYATT: I’ll just be a couple of minutes. Thank you. | 我就呆一小会儿,谢谢你 |
[41:10] | MAN: No problem. | 没关系 |
[42:28] | WOMAN: Next on “The Practice.” | 下集预告未作翻译 |