时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | DOLE: Previously on The Practice… | 前集回顾未作翻译 |
[00:02] | Why are you so angry? | |
[00:05] | DOLE: For pretending that my husband’s in love with me | |
[00:07] | when I know he’s not. | |
[00:08] | Lindsay, for God’s sake. | |
[00:11] | Of course I love you. | |
[00:13] | DOLE: Bobby, when I started my own firm, | |
[00:14] | I think I was beginning a process. | |
[00:17] | Process? | |
[00:18] | Of leaving you. | |
[00:21] | Oh, gee. Oh, I’m sorry. | |
[00:23] | Bobby! | |
[00:23] | Oh, my God. Sarah? | |
[00:25] | How are you? | |
[00:26] | DONNELL: I’m great. | |
[00:27] | I thought you left Boston? | |
[00:28] | Well, I’m back. | |
[00:29] | Uh, DC summers were too hot | |
[00:30] | and I’m at Wickham now, private practice. | |
[00:32] | Wickham? BARKER: Yes. | |
[00:33] | Well, that’s a good firm. | |
[00:34] | BARKER: It is. | |
[00:35] | Bobby, what’s going on? | |
[00:36] | Why are we having coffee? | |
[00:38] | Well, like you said, to catch up and… | |
[00:41] | BARKER: Let’s catch up then. | |
[00:41] | How’s your marriage? | |
[00:45] | If you have to think about it, | |
[00:46] | maybe you shouldn’t be having coffee | |
[00:48] | with a woman you used to sleep with. | |
[00:49] | I’m very faithful. | |
[00:51] | Then maybe you should make use | |
[00:52] | of this free time and spend it with your wife. | |
[01:07] | No, it’s not like that. | 不,不是那么回事 |
[01:09] | Look, I’m just saying things are slow out here. | 听着,我只是说这些事有点慢 |
[01:12] | It’s not an excuse. | 不是借口 |
[01:13] | I just… | 我只是。。。 |
[01:14] | Yeah, I hear you. | 嗯,我知道了 |
[01:17] | No. | 不 |
[01:19] | Hey, you’ll get your money, all right? | 嘿,你会拿到钱的,行了吧? |
[03:02] | REPORTER: But they believe the shooting was drug-related. | 他们认为枪击案与毒品有关 |
[03:05] | The suspect, only 19 years old, | 嫌犯,才19岁 |
[03:07] | was arrested trying to flee the scene. | 试图逃离现场时被捕 |
[03:10] | In fact, police say the Dorchester teen | 警方称这个来自Dorchester社区的少年 |
[03:12] | was still holding the murder weapon. | 实际上当时还拿着凶器 |
[03:14] | Police have identified the victim | 警方已经确认了受害者的身份 |
[03:16] | as 36-year-old Lauren Hayes. | 是36岁的Lauren Hayes |
[03:19] | Hayes, a single mother of three, | Hayes,有三个孩子的单身母亲 |
[03:21] | was reportedly walking her son to school. | 据称她正送儿子上学 |
[03:24] | When did we get appointed? | 什么时候指派给我们的? |
[03:26] | The judge called at 7:00. | 法官七点打电话来 |
[03:27] | Eugene and Jimmy left an hour ago. | Eugene和Jimmy一小时前走了 |
[03:29] | Helen Gamble drew the case. | Helen Gamble分到了这个案子 |
[03:32] | Great. | 真巧呀 |
[03:34] | REPORTER: According to eyewitnesses, | 据多名目击者称 |
[03:35] | the suspect, Troy Ezekiel, | 嫌犯Troy Ezekiel |
[03:38] | just brandished the gun and began firing. | 只管挥舞着枪射击 |
[03:42] | It was an accident. | 那是个意外 |
[03:43] | Slow down. | 慢点说 |
[03:44] | EZEKIEL: You need to find Willie Brand. | 你们要找到Willie Brand |
[03:45] | He was the guy I was shooting at. | 我是冲他开枪的 |
[03:46] | I never meant to hit that lady. | 我绝对不是故意打中那个女人的 |
[03:48] | YOUNG: It really doesn’t matter who you were shooting at,Troy, | Troy,你在冲谁开枪一点也不重要 |
[03:50] | if you– He was gonna kill me. | - 如果你。。。 - 他要杀了我 |
[03:51] | That matters! | 这很重要 |
[03:52] | It matters to me. | 这对我很重要 |
[03:54] | Who was going to kill you? | 谁要杀你? |
[03:56] | Willie Brand. | |
[03:57] | He said if I sold on his corner one more time, | 他说如果我在他的街角再卖一次货 |
[03:59] | he was gonna cap me. | 他就要干掉我 |
[04:01] | Now, you need to be chasing his ass down instead of sitting here. | 现在,你们要追查他而不是坐在这儿 |
[04:03] | I don’t need to be chasing anybody’s ass down. | 我不需要去追查什么别的人 |
[04:05] | So, this was a drug-territory thing? | 那么,这是毒品圈子的事了? |
[04:07] | Yes. | 对 |
[04:08] | Oh, what? Did he reach for a gun | 哦,怎么了?他去拔枪了 |
[04:09] | or point one at you? | 或者用枪对着你了吗? |
[04:10] | What did he do? | 他有什么动作? |
[04:11] | Nothing. | 他没什么动作 |
[04:12] | But I wasn’t about to wait. | 但我不能傻等着 |
[04:15] | He was gonna do it. | 他就要那么做了 |
[04:16] | I know. | 我很清楚 |
[04:19] | YOUNG: Okay. | 好吧 |
[04:22] | No talking in the courtroom. | 在法庭上别说话 |
[04:25] | We’ll meet here right after the arraignment. | 传讯后我们就在这里见面 |
[04:36] | 32777 Commonwealth vs. Troy Ezekiel | 案卷号32777,马萨诸塞州诉Troy Ezekiel |
[04:40] | on the charge of murder in the first degree. | 一级谋杀罪名 |
[04:42] | Excuse me, Your Honor, | 对不起,法官大人 |
[04:43] | but my client hasn’t been brought in yet. | 我的当事人还没带过来呢 |
[04:46] | Where is he? | 他在哪儿? |
[04:47] | DICKSON: I can answer that. | 我可以回答 |
[04:51] | I apologize for the late notice, Your Honor. | 法官大人,很抱歉通知晚了 |
[04:53] | I’m Todd Dickson from the Justice Department. | 我是司法部的Todd Dickson |
[04:56] | Troy Ezekiel is now in federal custody. | Troy Ezekiel现在由联邦收押 |
[04:58] | What? | 怎么回事? |
[04:58] | Since when? | 什么时候? |
[04:59] | A few minutes ago. | 几分钟前 |
[05:00] | U.S. Marshals just took him. | 联邦法警刚把他带走 |
[05:02] | Again, I apologize for the last-second confusion. | 我再次为最后时刻发生的混乱局面而表示歉意 |
[05:04] | Took him on whose authority? | 把他移交给谁了? |
[05:06] | Judge Manella of the United States | 波士顿联邦地区法院的Manella法官 |
[05:08] | District Court for Boston. | 波士顿联邦地区法院的Manella法官 |
[05:09] | She issued a writ early this morning. | 她今早签署了一份法庭令 |
[05:11] | Is there a new charge? | 有新的指控吗? |
[05:12] | Murder in the furtherance of a drug enterprise. | 以助长毒品组织为目的的谋杀罪 |
[05:15] | And drug trafficking within a thousand feet of a school. | 还有在离学校一千英尺以内的区域贩毒 |
[05:23] | Did you know about this? | 你事先知道这件事吗? |
[05:24] | Of course I didn’t know. | 我当然不知道了 |
[05:25] | Did you see my expression? | 你看到我的表情了吗? |
[05:26] | There are murders all the time in that neighborhood. | 那个地区附近经常发生谋杀案 |
[05:29] | The federal government has never stepped in. | 联邦政府从未介入 |
[05:31] | Jimmy, figure it out. | Jimmy,弄清楚点 |
[05:32] | There can only be one explanation. | 只有一种解释 |
[05:35] | Which is? | 什么? |
[05:37] | What can the federal government do | 有什么是联邦政府可以做 |
[05:39] | that the state can’t? | 但州政府没法做的? |
[05:43] | Oh, God. | 噢,天呀 |
[05:44] | What? | 什么呀? |
[05:47] | They can execute. | 他们能判处死刑 |
[05:51] | They’re going for the death penalty. | 他们想判他死刑 |
[06:01] | The death penalty? | 死刑? |
[06:02] | Well, they haven’t filed yet. | 呃,他们还没有提出指控 |
[06:04] | But we think that’s what this is about. | 但我们认为就是这么回事 |
[06:05] | Hold on. They’re gonna kill me over an accident? | 等等,他们打算因为一次意外而杀了我? |
[06:07] | YOUNG: Oh, you did kill somebody. | 你确实杀了人 |
[06:08] | The fact that it was the wrong person– | 实际上是杀错了人。。。 |
[06:10] | Why the hell aren’t you on my side? | 你为什么不站在我这边? |
[06:11] | Let’s get something straight. | 让我们直说吧 |
[06:13] | I’m your lawyer, not your friend. | 我是你的律师,不是你的朋友 |
[06:16] | Now I remember you. | 现在我记起你来了 |
[06:17] | You came to my school on some career-day crap. | 你在某个职业日来我们学校胡扯一通 |
[06:20] | You were cocky then, and you still are. | 你那时很自大,现在还是 |
[06:22] | Pity I didn’t know better. | 真遗憾那时我不太识相 |
[06:23] | Look how we turned out. | 看看我们的结局吧 |
[06:25] | I should’ve been more like you. | 我本应该更像你一些 |
[06:30] | You wanna see how tough you are without a gun? | 你想试试没枪的时候你能有多牛吗? |
[06:32] | Go ahead. | 来试试呀 |
[06:35] | Second thing to get straight. | 第二件要直说的是 |
[06:37] | You a punk. | 你是个小流氓 |
[06:38] | Drug dealer, murderer, punk, | 毒贩,杀人犯,混混儿 |
[06:42] | which makes my job tougher. | 这使我的工作更难做了 |
[06:43] | But I’m gonna do my job all the same. | 但是我依然会做好我的工作 |
[06:45] | All I need for you is to do yours, | 我要的就是你做好你自己的事 |
[06:48] | which basically means to keep your mouth shut | 总的来说就是闭紧你的嘴巴 |
[06:51] | and do as I tell you. | 照我说的办 |
[07:00] | They’re really going for death? | 他们真的想要判我死刑 |
[07:03] | Yes. | 对 |
[07:06] | They are. | 他们是的 |
[07:13] | BARKER: What happens is they form an Ad Hoc Committee. | 他们会成立一个特别委员会 |
[07:15] | Basically, what they do is they walk around the office, | 大体上就是在司法部办公室里 |
[07:18] | grab four or five prosecutors, | 随便找几个检察官 |
[07:20] | whoever’s there. | 随便找几个检察官 |
[07:21] | And that committee decides whether or not | 这个委员会来决定 |
[07:23] | to go for death? | 是否采用死刑? |
[07:24] | Pretty much. | 差不多吧 |
[07:26] | The U. S. Attorney makes a short presentation, | 由联邦检察官做一个简短的陈述 |
[07:28] | and then they vote. | 然后就投票 |
[07:29] | Simple as that. | 就这么简单 |
[07:30] | Sometimes they even do it over sandwiches. | 有时候他们甚至同时还在吃三明治 |
[07:33] | The problem is once they decide, | 问题是一旦他们决定了 |
[07:35] | Bobby is right, you can’t appeal it. | Bobby说得对,你们没法上诉 |
[07:37] | Do we get to address this committee? | 我们能在这个委员会发言吗? |
[07:39] | Do you have the right to? No. | 你要问的是你们有权吗?答案是不 |
[07:41] | But sometimes they will invite defense lawyers in | 但有时他们会邀请辩护律师 |
[07:43] | to hear what they have to say. | 听他们说些什么 |
[07:44] | How do we get such an invitation? | 我们如何得到这样的邀请呢? |
[07:46] | You cross your fingers. | 只有祈求好运降临 |
[07:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:49] | Any other way? | 有别的方法吗? |
[07:50] | DONNELL: Like someone who used to work | 比方说曾经在司法部 |
[07:51] | in the justice department | 工作过的人 |
[07:53] | could make a phone call? | 打个电话有用吗? |
[07:56] | Please. | 拜托了 |
[07:58] | This kid is a criminal, no doubt, | 这孩子毫无疑问是个罪犯 |
[08:00] | but he doesn’t deserve death. | 但是他罪不至死 |
[08:04] | I’ll make a call. | 我会打个电话的 |
[08:06] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[08:08] | Could I have a second with Bobby? | 我可以单独和Bobby说点事吗? |
[08:18] | What are you doing? | 你这是干嘛? |
[08:20] | What? | 怎么了? |
[08:21] | Why am I here? | 为什么找我? |
[08:24] | Because we needed– BARKER: You don’t have | – 因为我需要。。。 – 你和司法部 |
[08:25] | any other connections to the justice department? | 的其他人就没有联系吗? |
[08:29] | Believe it or not. | 信不信由你 |
[08:31] | No. | 真没有 |
[08:37] | Um, Lindsay Dole, my wife. | 呃,Lindsay Dole,我的太太 |
[08:40] | Sarah Barker. | |
[08:42] | Nice to meet you. | 见到你很高兴 |
[08:44] | Do you want me to wait or– | 你希望我等等。。。 |
[08:45] | DONNELL: Um, no, no. | 呃,不,不用 |
[08:47] | I think– | 我觉得。。。 |
[08:47] | We’re done. | 我们说完了 |
[08:49] | We’re done. Yes. | 完事了,嗯 |
[08:51] | DONNELL: Thank you again for– | 再次谢谢你。。。 |
[08:53] | Everything I’ve done. | 因我所做的一切 |
[08:55] | Yes. | 是的 |
[08:57] | Well, I will let you know what the committee says. | 好吧,委员会有信了我就通知你 |
[09:00] | Nice to meet you, Lindsay. | 见到你很高兴,Lindsay |
[09:01] | You too. | 我也是 |
[09:07] | You okay? | 你没事吧? |
[09:08] | Me? | 我? |
[09:10] | You seem a little on tilt. | 你看起来有点神不守舍 |
[09:12] | Oh, um, death-penalty case. | 噢,呃,死刑案 |
[09:15] | I’m a little rattled. | 我有点紧张 |
[09:19] | Too rattled to eat? | 紧张到没胃口了? |
[09:20] | No, no. | 不,不 |
[09:21] | Let’s go eat. | 我们去吃饭吧 |
[09:33] | STRINGER: If you think about it, these are exactly the criminals | 如果你仔细想想,这正是那些 |
[09:35] | they should execute. | 该执行死刑的罪犯 |
[09:36] | How do you figure that? | 你怎么想的? |
[09:37] | STRINGER: Well, if the death penalty exists | 如果死刑是作为威慑手段而存在的话 |
[09:39] | as a deterrent, | 如果死刑是作为威慑手段而存在的话 |
[09:40] | this is where it would be the most effective. | 这个案子会是最能起到效果的 |
[09:42] | You know, if people get the message | 你看,如果人们知道 |
[09:44] | you get careless with a gun– | 你不小心用枪。。。 |
[09:45] | I think we should just deport them. | 我认为应该就把他们驱逐出境 |
[09:47] | He’s an American, Lucy. | 他是个美国公民,Lucy |
[09:49] | So what? | 那怎么了? |
[09:50] | You kill somebody, you lose citizenship. | 你杀了人,你就失去公民身份 |
[09:52] | Boom. Done. | 砰,完了 |
[09:53] | What’s wrong with that? | 这有什么错? |
[09:58] | They’re right in there. | 他们就在里面 |
[09:59] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[10:08] | Okay, you’ve got your invitation. | 好了,你们得到邀请了 |
[10:10] | 10:00 tomorrow morning. | 明天上午10点 |
[10:11] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[10:12] | BERLUTI: Is there a certain procedure or– | 是不是有特定的程序或者。。。 |
[10:15] | Not really. | 不见得 |
[10:17] | The prosecution goes first, then you. | 先是控方,然后是你们 |
[10:19] | Expect to get about 10 minutes. | 预计大概十分钟吧 |
[10:21] | Now, look, don’t waste it arguing the elements. | 不要浪费时间去争论法律要素 |
[10:24] | The committee assumes guilt. | 委员会认为是罪名成立的 |
[10:26] | They assume a first-degree conviction. | 他们认可一级谋杀的定罪 |
[10:28] | Their role is only how to punish the convicted. | 他们的角色只是如何惩罚被定罪的人 |
[10:31] | You mean what punishment to recommend. | 你是指什么建议采用什么样的惩罚 |
[10:33] | It’s the jury who decides. | 这是陪审团决定的 |
[10:35] | The jury may decide, Jimmy, | 陪审团也许可以决定 |
[10:36] | but if you look at their track record, | 但如果你查一下过往记录 |
[10:38] | when the feds ask for death, they almost always get it. | 当联邦要求处以死刑时,他们几乎总能如愿 |
[10:41] | YOUNG: Which means if we’re to save this kid’s life– | 这就是说如果我们要救这孩子的命。。。 |
[10:43] | You need to do it here. | 你得在这一步就做到 |
[10:45] | DONNELL: What about administrative rules? | 那行政法规呢? |
[10:47] | I don’t think you understand. | 我觉得你没弄明白 |
[10:49] | They pluck five prosecutors, they put them in a room, | 他们找来五个检察官,集中在一个房间里 |
[10:51] | and they decide. | 由他们决定 |
[10:52] | No rules, | 没有什么规则 |
[10:53] | no evidentiary procedure, | 也没有证据听证程序 |
[10:55] | no due process. | 没有正当法定程序 |
[10:58] | You just make the best case you can | 你就要尽你所能去证明 |
[11:00] | that this kid deep down is an angel. | 这个孩子本质上是个天使 |
[11:04] | We better get to work. | 我们最好开始准备吧 |
[11:06] | I’m still stuck on the why. | 我还是不明白为什么 |
[11:08] | Why go after this kid? | 他们为什么要死咬着这个孩子呢? |
[11:10] | BARKER: It isn’t the kid, Jimmy. | 原因不在于那个孩子,Jimmy |
[11:11] | It’s the Commonwealth. | 是冲着马萨诸塞州来的 |
[11:13] | Ashcroft is trying to bring the death penalty | Ashcroft正在试图将死刑引入 (Ashcroft:美国司法部长,2001-2005在任) |
[11:15] | into all of the States that don’t have it, | 所有没有死刑的州 |
[11:17] | and Massachusetts is on the top of his list. | 而马萨诸塞州是他第一个目标 |
[11:19] | So he’s hauling state murder cases into federal court? | 所以他要把州管辖的谋杀案移交联邦法院? |
[11:24] | YOUNG: Like I said, we better get to work. | 如我所说,我们还是开始准备吧 |
[11:31] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[11:32] | BARKER: No problem. | 不客气 |
[11:34] | Sarah, | |
[11:37] | we really appreciate this. | 对此我们真是太感谢了 |
[11:39] | Well, good luck with it. | 祝你们好运 |
[11:40] | You’re gonna need it. | 你们会需要些运气的 |
[11:45] | Listen, uh, | 听我说,呃 |
[11:48] | it’s gonna be a late night here, | 今晚会加班到很晚的 |
[11:50] | and I don’t know if you have plans, but… | 我不知道你有没有别的安排,如果。。。 |
[11:56] | you wanna grab some dinner? | 你想去吃晚饭吗? |
[12:04] | The reason this is so important. | 开枪的正当理由是非常重要的 |
[12:08] | We have no defense. | 我们没有辩护的理由 |
[12:10] | The kid he was shooting at | 他冲着开枪的那个孩子 |
[12:12] | it turns out he had no weapon. | 最后查明没有携带武器 |
[12:14] | None of the witnesses saw him make any threatening gestures | 没有证人看到他对你的儿子有威胁性的举动 |
[12:17] | towards your son, | 没有证人看到他对你的儿子有威胁性的举动 |
[12:19] | and Troy himself told the police | 况且Troy自己对警方说 |
[12:21] | that he didn’t see him reach for a gun. | 他也没看到对方去掏枪 |
[12:24] | So he’s going to be convicted? | 这么说他要被判有罪了? |
[12:29] | I’d be lying if I said I thought otherwise, | 我要是否认的话,就算是撒谎了 |
[12:32] | which means we need to convince them | 这就是说我们需要说服控方 |
[12:35] | not to go for the death penalty. | 不要采用死刑 |
[12:37] | A, because their decision isn’t subject to appeal, | 首先是因为对他们的决定不可上诉 |
[12:41] | and B, when they go for the death penalty, | 其次是他们要采用死刑的话 |
[12:45] | they usually get it. | 他们通常可以如愿 |
[12:48] | My God. | 天呀 |
[12:50] | My God. | 我的天呀 |
[12:52] | YOUNG: Look, I’m not even sure | 听着,我甚至都不敢肯定 |
[12:54] | the committee will agree to hear from you. | 委员会会同意听我们的意见 |
[12:57] | But if they do– | 但如果他们同意。。。 |
[13:01] | I did the best I could. | 我已经尽我所能的 |
[13:04] | Troy’s older brother, | Troy的哥哥 |
[13:07] | he got into drugs. | 他吸毒 |
[13:09] | Troy just followed suit, I guess. | 我想Troy是学的他 |
[13:13] | But I tried. | 但我尽力了 |
[13:17] | I tried. | 我尽力了 |
[13:25] | DONNELL: So, now we’re in therapy and– | 所以,现在我们在接受心理咨询。。。 |
[13:29] | I don’t know. I hope it helps, but… | 我说不好,我希望能有效,但是。。。 |
[13:37] | hello? | 喂 |
[13:39] | I’m here. | 我在听 |
[13:41] | Well, maybe you can say something. | 也许你能说些意见 |
[13:46] | Okay. I can’t believe we’re sitting here, | 那好吧,我不敢相信我们坐在这儿 |
[13:48] | doing this. | 就这样 |
[13:50] | How’s that? | 这算什么? |
[13:51] | Doing what? | 算什么? |
[13:52] | We’re having dinner. | 我们在吃晚饭 |
[13:55] | Oh, we’re having dinner. | 噢,我们在吃晚饭 |
[13:56] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[13:58] | What do you think we’re doing? | 那你觉得我们这算什么? |
[14:02] | Bobby, this is foreplay. | Bobby,这是前戏 |
[14:04] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? |
[14:05] | BARKER: Well, we did 10 minutes | 你看,我们花了十分钟 |
[14:06] | on my lousy marriage, | 聊我糟糕的婚姻 |
[14:07] | 20 minutes on how your wife | 花20分钟聊了你的妻子 |
[14:08] | really doesn’t understand you. | 是如何不理解你的 |
[14:13] | This is foreplay for infidelity. | 这是出轨的前戏 |
[14:17] | It isn’t even original. | 甚至都有些老套 |
[14:19] | I have no plans for being unfaithful to my– | 我可没打算对我的妻子不忠。。。 |
[14:21] | BARKER: Yes, you do. | 不,你是的 |
[14:23] | You’re probably too good of a guy to actually do it, | 你可能是个好人,不可能真的这么做 |
[14:25] | but just allowing for the possibility. | 但还是有这种可能性 |
[14:27] | You’re wrong. | 你错了 |
[14:33] | I’m having dinner with an old friend, | 我是在和一个老朋友吃晚饭 |
[14:36] | period. | 仅此而已 |
[14:39] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[14:40] | DONNELL: You know, you make it seem like | 知道吗,你把这说得好像 |
[14:41] | I’m trying to orchestrate something here, | 我是有意在策划什么事 |
[14:44] | but here you sit. | 但你还是来了 |
[14:45] | BARKER: You brought me out on a case. | 是你以咨询一个案子为由促使我这样的 |
[14:46] | DONNELL: Which doesn’t obligate you to dinner, | 那又不是说你必须要和我吃晚饭 |
[14:49] | but here you sit. | 但你还是来了 |
[14:53] | Okay, you’re right. | 好吧,你说得对 |
[14:54] | I plead guilty. | 我认栽 |
[14:57] | So, you’re up, Bobby. I made my admission. | 所以,你占上风了,Bobby,我已经承认了 |
[14:59] | I’m here because I find it a little exciting | 我来这儿是因为我发现 |
[15:01] | to be having dinner with a man I used to make love to. | 和一个以前上过床的男人吃晚饭让我觉得有些兴奋 |
[15:04] | I’m not innocent. | 我用心不纯 |
[15:05] | What’s your story? | 你又是怎么回事呢? |
[15:07] | I’ll tell you your story. | 还是我来说吧 |
[15:09] | You feel lonely. | 你感到孤独 |
[15:11] | You feel Lindsay’s responsible for that loneliness, | 你感到Lindsay对此有责任 |
[15:13] | and so that somehow justifies | 所以这使你有了某些理由 |
[15:15] | you going out to enjoy some simple company | 和一个朋友结伴出去玩玩 |
[15:18] | with a friend. | 和一个朋友结伴出去玩玩 |
[15:20] | Lindsay shut you out. | Lindsay把你拒之门外 |
[15:21] | She drove you to this dinner in a way. | 某种程度上是她促使你邀我吃晚饭的 |
[15:23] | Isn’t that the way it goes? | 不是这样吗? |
[15:25] | Of course, you’d never let it go anywhere with me, | 当然,你绝对不会任我发展下去的 |
[15:27] | because you’re faithful. | 因为你是忠贞的 |
[15:28] | It’s a friendship, | 你对我是种友谊而已 |
[15:29] | completely innocent. | 完全纯洁的 |
[15:32] | If anything were to happen, well, | 如果发生了什么事 |
[15:34] | it would have to be me. | 肯定是因为我主动的 |
[15:35] | Always was a bit of a risk-taker, that crazy me. | 我总是有点冒险,真是疯了 |
[15:44] | You’re safe, Bobby. | 你是安全的,Bobby |
[15:46] | I’m not sure it’s what you want, | 你不确定这是不是你想要的 |
[15:47] | but you’re safe. | 但你是安全的 |
[15:50] | This will be a dinner, nothing more. | 就是一次晚餐而已 |
[16:04] | Once you get the names of the committee members, | 一旦你知道委员会成员的名字 |
[16:05] | call me. I’ll give you the rundown. | 打电话给我。我会给你详细解释的 |
[16:07] | Okay. | 好的 |
[16:09] | This is me right here, 207. | 我到了,207号 |
[16:21] | Again, | 我再一次 |
[16:23] | thanks for all your help. | 感谢你的帮助 |
[16:24] | My pleasure and thank you for dinner. | 不客气,也谢谢你请我吃晚饭 |
[16:30] | If you’re ever single again, call me. | 如果你再单身了,就告诉我 |
[16:34] | I don’t have plans to be single again. | 我不打算再单身了 |
[16:41] | Good night, Bobby. | 晚安,Bobby |
[16:50] | Night. | 晚安 |
[17:13] | Did you kiss her back? | 你也亲她了吗? |
[17:14] | No! | 没有! |
[17:15] | And she didn’t really kiss me. | 她也不算是亲了我 |
[17:17] | It was just a good-night– | 只是道个晚安。。。 |
[17:18] | Why were you having dinner with her? | 你为什么和她一起吃晚饭? |
[17:20] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[17:21] | You all say I crave isolation. | 你们都说我渴望孤独 |
[17:23] | I think a part of me needed– | 我觉得我有一部分需要是。。。 |
[17:25] | WASHINGTON: Don’t give me that crap! | 别跟我瞎扯了! |
[17:26] | You’re just looking to pop your hot dog. | |
[17:27] | Rebecca. | |
[17:28] | “I’m lonely, I’m misunderstood? “ | “我很孤独,我被误解了?” |
[17:31] | Why are you even telling me this? | 你为什么要跟我说这些? |
[17:33] | I’ll tell you why. | 我替你说吧 |
[17:34] | You’re looking to clear your little conscience | 你想使自己问心无愧 |
[17:35] | and not get caught. | 不被抓到把柄 |
[17:37] | You should be telling Lindsay if you’re angry, not me, | 如果你有气的话应该去告诉Lindsay而不是我 |
[17:39] | and certainly not that slut Sarah. | 更不应该是那个荡妇Sarah |
[17:41] | Everything’s just black and white with you, isn’t it? | 对你来说任何事都是非黑即白的,不是吗? |
[17:43] | This is. | 这就是的 |
[17:44] | You don’t go having dinner with ex-girlfriends. | 你不能和前女友一起吃饭 |
[17:47] | You’re married. | 你已婚了 |
[17:54] | DICKSON: This is how Troy Ezekiel | Troy Ezekiel那天早上 |
[17:55] | looked that morning. | 就是这个样子 |
[17:56] | This is the man who killed Lauren Hayes, | 这就是杀害Lauren Hayes的人 |
[17:59] | not the cleaned-up version they brought in here today. | 不是他们带来的这个清理打扮过的样子 |
[18:05] | What you’re getting now | 你们现在得到的 |
[18:07] | is a copy of Mr. Ezekiel’s rap sheet. | 是Ezekiel先生犯罪记录的副本 |
[18:11] | It shows two convictions for cocaine possession. | 上面显示了两起持有可卡因的案件 |
[18:13] | Those were misdemeanor arrests? | 这都是因轻微罪行的逮捕? |
[18:15] | The first one, that’s correct. | 第一起,是的 |
[18:17] | And as you can see, | 如你们所看到的 |
[18:18] | he was given a break. | 他得到了宽容 |
[18:20] | Instead of jail, the court ordered treatment. | 法庭命令他进行治疗,而不是坐牢 |
[18:22] | Eighteen months later, he was arrested again. | 八个月后,他再次被逮捕 |
[18:25] | This time with twice the amount of drugs. | 这次是两倍数量的毒品 |
[18:27] | And again, he was allowed to plead to a misdemeanor. | 他再一次被允许以轻微罪行认罪 |
[18:30] | How long did he serve? | 他服刑了多久? |
[18:31] | Ninety days, which was light | 九十天,鉴于他已经是在贩毒 |
[18:33] | given that he was already a seller. | 这样的判决是很轻的 |
[18:36] | Mr. Dickson, let’s get to the crime, please. | Dickson先生,让我们来看这次犯罪吧 |
[18:41] | DICKSON: This map shows the path taken by the defendant. | 这张图显示出被告的行动线路 |
[18:44] | As you can see, he started firing at will here. | 如你所见,他开始在这里随意射击 |
[18:48] | His intended target, | 他原本的目标 |
[18:49] | a rival dealer, | 一个竞争对手 |
[18:51] | managed to get away without being hit, | 没被击中就设法逃走了 |
[18:54] | but not before the defendant emptied his clip, | 但在被告打光弹匣前 |
[18:57] | shooting 11 rounds onto a crowded street | 离学校不到两个街区 |
[19:00] | less than two blocks away from a school. | 的拥挤街道上一共打出11发子弹 |
[19:03] | He didn’t care who or what he hit. | 他不在乎他打了谁或什么 |
[19:08] | She was 36 years old. | 她36岁 |
[19:11] | She had three children she supported alone. | 她独自抚养了三个孩子 |
[19:15] | She was a good woman, | 她是个好女人 |
[19:17] | a good mother, | 一个好母亲 |
[19:19] | gone now and forever. | 永远地走了 |
[19:24] | Lauren Hayes didn’t deserve to die. | Lauren Hayes不该得到死的下场 |
[19:28] | Troy Ezekiel does. | 而那是Troy Ezekiel该得的 |
[19:45] | This is Lauren Hayes’ son. | 这是Lauren Hayes的儿子 |
[19:48] | I’d like you to hear from him. | 我想要你们听听他说什么 |
[20:00] | Did it go that well? | 情况如何? |
[20:01] | They heard from the son. | 他们听到那个儿子说的了 |
[20:03] | The son? | 那个儿子? |
[20:04] | Of the victim. | 受害人的儿子 |
[20:06] | It was pretty devastating. | 相当有震撼效果 |
[20:07] | YOUNG: Bobby, Sarah Barker, | Bobby,那个Sarah Barker |
[20:10] | could you persuade her to join our defense? | 你能说服她加入我们的辩护吗? |
[20:13] | What? Why? | – 什么? – 为什么? |
[20:14] | YOUNG: Well, one problem we have, | 呃,这事有个问题 |
[20:17] | Dickson knows all the committee members. | Dickson认识所有的委员会成员 |
[20:18] | They’re colleagues. | 他们是同事 |
[20:20] | Jimmy and I are just your basic defense attorneys. | Jimmy和我只是辩护律师 |
[20:22] | We have no real credibility with them. | 他们对我们没有真正的信任 |
[20:24] | We thought since Sarah used to work in that office– | 我们想既然Sarah过去在那儿工作过。。。 |
[20:26] | DONNELL: That was many years ago. | 那是很多年前的事了 |
[20:28] | YOUNG: Even so, | 即便如此 |
[20:29] | it couldn’t hurt. | 这样做也没什么损失呀 |
[20:30] | And right now, things don’t look good. | 况且现在事情不太妙 |
[20:32] | Could you ask her? | 你能请求她吗? |
[20:34] | WASHINGTON: I don’t think that’s a good idea. | 我认为这不是个好主意 |
[20:35] | No, I don’t. Uh-uh. | 不,我认为不是。。。 |
[20:36] | YOUNG: Well, I do. | 我认为是个办法 |
[20:37] | Bobby, we need some help here. | Bobby,我们需要有人帮忙 |
[20:40] | I mean, if she could just so much as be at our table. | 我是说,如果她哪怕是坐在我们边上 |
[20:48] | You’re joking. | 你在开玩笑 |
[20:49] | DONNELL: It wasn’t my idea. | 这不是我的主意 |
[20:50] | I promise you it wasn’t. | 我向你保证不是我的主要 |
[20:52] | Well, exactly what do they want me to do? | 那,他们到底希望我做些什么? |
[20:54] | Just join them. | 只要加入他们 |
[20:56] | Be in the room with them. | 和他们一起进那个房间就行 |
[20:58] | This wouldn’t be you inventing a way | 这该不是你想出个招儿 |
[20:59] | to be in a room with me? | 要和我呆在一起吧? |
[21:01] | I give you my word. | 我向你保证 |
[21:03] | No. | 不是的 |
[21:05] | This comes from Eugene. | Eugene的主意 |
[21:09] | You know a lot of these committee members. | 你认识很多委员会成员 |
[21:13] | It might help. | 这会有作用的 |
[21:19] | We don’t want to hear from his father. | 我们不想听取他父亲的陈述 |
[21:20] | Why not? | 为什么不呢? |
[21:22] | Mr. Young, this committee is already indulging you | Young先生,这个委员会让你们来这里 |
[21:25] | just by allowing you to be here. | 已经是够意思了 |
[21:26] | You heard from the victim’s son. | 你们听取了受害人儿子的陈述 |
[21:28] | Why can’t– McNALLY: Look, | – 为什么不能。。。 – 听着 |
[21:30] | if you wanna give Troy a chance to speak, fine, | 如果你想给Troy一个发言的机会,没问题 |
[21:32] | but we’re not going to turn this into a hearing. | 但我们不想把这变成一个听证会 |
[21:33] | We’re just asking for two minutes. | 我们只要求两分钟就行 |
[21:35] | The time for his father to talk would be at sentencing. | 在宣判的时候可以让他父亲说几句 |
[21:38] | We’re just asking for– The answer is no, Counsel. | – 我们只是在要求。。。 – 律师,我的答复是不行 |
[21:44] | You said you’d be willing to hear from Troy? | 你说你愿意听取Troy的陈述? |
[21:46] | Briefly. | 简短些的 |
[21:47] | Let us do that then. Hold on. | – 那就这样做吧 – 等一下 |
[21:49] | Give us a short break to talk it over. | 暂停一会儿容我们讨论一下 |
[21:51] | I don’t need to talk that over. | 我不需要讨论这个了 |
[21:52] | Eugene. | |
[21:55] | A short break. | 暂停一会儿 |
[22:00] | It’s insane to let him talk. | 让他说话真是疯了 |
[22:01] | We’d be offering up free discovery. | 我们会白白提供证据的 |
[22:03] | That’s why they’re willing to hear from him. | 所以他们才愿意听他的 |
[22:05] | We might as well gift wrap | 我们不妨把定罪打成礼包奉上算了 |
[22:06] | the conviction. | 我们不妨把定罪打成礼包奉上算了 |
[22:07] | Eugene… | |
[22:08] | you need to work on your tone. | 你需要注意你的语气 |
[22:12] | Now, normally, I would agree. | 正常情况下,我会同意你的意见 |
[22:13] | But here, | 但本案 |
[22:15] | the conviction is a done deal. | 定罪是木已成舟的事 |
[22:17] | He opened fire on a crowded street | 他在一条拥挤的街道上 |
[22:19] | in front of witnesses. | 当众肆意开枪 |
[22:20] | The victim couldn’t possibly | 受害人会得到 |
[22:21] | be more sympathetic, | 最大的同情 |
[22:22] | and his own statement | 而他自己向警方的陈述 |
[22:23] | to the police supplies | 提供了动机和意图 |
[22:24] | motive and intent. | 提供了动机和意图 |
[22:28] | There’s nothing to lose here | 这样做不会有什么损失 |
[22:31] | and his life to gain. | 却有益于保住他的命 |
[22:35] | This is the problem when you bring me in | 伙计们,这就是你们要我加入进来解决的问题 |
[22:37] | on things, guys. | 伙计们,这就是你们要我加入进来解决的问题 |
[22:38] | I have opinions. | 我有专业的意见 |
[22:45] | Lindsay. | |
[22:45] | Hey. What’s up? | 嗨,怎么了? |
[22:47] | Nothing. | 没什么事 |
[22:48] | I just thought I’d, uh… | 我就是想我应该,呃。。。 |
[22:52] | say hi. | 来问声好 |
[22:59] | It’s, you know, since we don’t work | 这个,你知道的,因为我们 |
[23:01] | side by side anymore, | 不再一起工作开始 |
[23:02] | I thought that could be | 我想这可能是 |
[23:03] | one of the reasons that… | 其中一个原因。。。 |
[23:07] | I just thought it’d be good | 我只是觉得工作时间 |
[23:09] | to check in with each other | 互相关注一下 |
[23:10] | during the day. | 会很好的 |
[23:14] | Good idea. | 好主意 |
[23:19] | You know, | 知道吗 |
[23:20] | I try to come in and connect, | 我进来是找话说的 |
[23:22] | and you give back nothing, Lindsay. | 而你一点也不配合,Lindsay |
[23:25] | Can we talk about this at home? | 我们能回家里谈这个吗? |
[23:27] | But we don’t talk at home. | 但我们在家也不说话 |
[23:29] | By the time we get Bobby to bed and– | 等你把小Bobby哄上床后就。。。 |
[23:41] | Dealing is the first thing | 贩毒是第一件我比较擅长做的事 |
[23:42] | I was ever good at. | 贩毒是第一件我比较擅长做的事 |
[23:44] | I never used. | 我没有吸过毒 |
[23:46] | I never skimmed from the bosses. | 我从不对老板瞒报 |
[23:49] | I made more money than any other corner. | 我赚的钱比其他任何卖家都多 |
[23:53] | I was so good at it | 我很在行 |
[23:54] | I started having problems. | 但我开始遇到问题了 |
[23:56] | What kind of problems? | 什么样的问题? |
[23:58] | Competition problems. | 竞争问题 |
[24:00] | Some of the other dealers got word | 其他的一些卖家听说了 |
[24:01] | that I was making big numbers, | 我的销量很大 |
[24:03] | so they started coming around | 所以他们开始 |
[24:04] | giving me trouble. | 找我的麻烦 |
[24:06] | So you thought your life was in danger? | 所以你想你有生命危险? |
[24:08] | No. I knew it was. | 不用想,肯定是 |
[24:10] | I know these people. | 我了解这些人 |
[24:10] | They don’t play around. | 他们不是闹着玩的 |
[24:13] | So I called a friend, | 所以我打电话给一个朋友 |
[24:13] | and he fixed me up with a 9. | 他给了我一把9毫米手枪 |
[24:18] | The next day I saw Willie. | 第二天我看到了Willie |
[24:21] | I swear, | 我发誓 |
[24:23] | I never meant to kill that lady. | 我绝对不是故意杀那个女人的 |
[24:25] | When I saw what happened, | 我当时看到发生的情况 |
[24:26] | I couldn’t even breathe. | 我甚至都喘不上气了 |
[24:31] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[24:35] | I don’t know what else to say. | 我不知道还能说些什么 |
[24:51] | McNALLY: You’ve been a drug dealer | 在过去的四年里 |
[24:52] | for the last four years? | 你一直是个毒贩? |
[24:55] | Yes. | 对 |
[24:56] | You’ve been arrested | 你被捕了 |
[24:57] | more than a dozen times. | 十几次了 |
[24:58] | Well, the fact that he was arrested | 他被捕的事实 |
[24:59] | doesn’t prove he did anything. | 并不能证明他做了什么 |
[25:01] | It proves your client’s | 那证明你的当事人 |
[25:02] | a career criminal, Mr. Young. | 是一个职业罪犯,Young先生 |
[25:03] | He started at possession, | 他从持有毒品开始 |
[25:04] | then escalated to sale, | 然后是贩毒 |
[25:05] | and now he’s graduated to murder. | 而现在他升级到杀人了 |
[25:07] | That was an accident. McNALLY: Yes. | – 那是个意外 – 对 |
[25:08] | You killed the wrong person. | 你杀错了人 |
[25:09] | I understand. | 这我理解 |
[25:10] | You were trying to kill somebody else. | 你是打算杀别的人 |
[25:12] | No, I already told you that | 不,我已经向你们解释了 |
[25:13] | I didn’t have a choice. | 我没有选择 |
[25:14] | It seems to me you had a choice | 似乎你可以选择离开那个街角 |
[25:16] | to walk away from that corner. | 似乎你可以选择离开那个街角 |
[25:18] | If you were worried about your safety, | 如果你担心你的安全 |
[25:20] | why didn’t you quit? | 为什么不洗手不干呢? |
[25:30] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[25:33] | Look… | 是这样的。。。 |
[25:36] | Mr. Young told me | Young先生告诉我 |
[25:37] | I need to be honest, | 我必须要诚实 |
[25:39] | and I’m doing that. | 我就是这么做的 |
[25:42] | I’m guilty. | 我有罪 |
[25:46] | I killed that woman, | 我杀了那个女人 |
[25:48] | and it was wrong. | 那是错误的 |
[25:53] | I know I got no excuses. | 我知道我没有借口 |
[25:54] | I chose my life. | 是我选择了我自己的生活 |
[25:57] | But I don’t think | 但我不认为 |
[25:58] | that it’s unfair to say | 我的一生中 |
[25:59] | that I didn’t get a lot of breaks | 得到过很多机会 |
[26:02] | in my life. | 得到过很多机会 |
[26:05] | It was hard growing up. | 年少时生活很艰难 |
[26:08] | It was hard ever since. | 那以后就更难了 |
[26:11] | I’m 19 years old. | 我19岁了 |
[26:16] | I know that I made a lot of mistakes. | 我知道我犯了很多错 |
[26:19] | And I know I got to pay | 我知道我要为此 |
[26:20] | for what I did, | 付出代价 |
[26:23] | but I just don’t think | 但我就是没想到 |
[26:24] | I should have to die for it. | 我应该为此去死 |
[26:29] | Yeah, maybe I got no right | 是呀,也许我无权那么说 |
[26:30] | to say that. | 是呀,也许我无权那么说 |
[26:33] | I’m just asking you… | 我就是在请求你们。。。 |
[26:36] | I’m just asking you to… | 在请求你们。。。 |
[26:38] | I’m just asking you | 只是请求你们 |
[26:39] | to give me a chance. | 给我一次机会 |
[27:04] | Lindsay. | |
[27:05] | Hey. What’s Bobby up to? | 嘿,Bobby在搞什么鬼? |
[27:07] | Why are you asking me? | 为什么问我? |
[27:08] | I, I, I mean, | 我,我是说 |
[27:10] | what makes you think | 你怎么觉得 |
[27:11] | he’s even up to something? | 他在搞什么鬼? |
[27:12] | I mean, I, I haven’t noticed him | 我是说,我,我没注意到 |
[27:13] | being up to something. | 他在搞什么 |
[27:14] | Anybody here think | 有人觉得 |
[27:16] | Bobby’s up to something? | Bobby在搞什么事吗? |
[27:18] | See? Nobody. | 你看,没人觉得呀 |
[27:21] | Is he here? | 他在这儿吗? |
[27:22] | He’s in his office, but I don’t think | 他在办公室,但我不觉得 |
[27:23] | he’s up to anything. | 他搞了什么鬼 |
[27:39] | Listen. | 听我说 |
[27:42] | I know you’re trying to make an effort. | 我明白你在试着付出努力 |
[27:45] | And, um… | 还有,呃。。。 |
[27:48] | it’s been months, you know, and– | 有几个月了,知道吗。。。 |
[27:50] | Lindsay. | |
[27:53] | You’re not in love with me. | 你不爱我了 |
[27:56] | You can say it. | 你可以说出来 |
[27:59] | I love you, Bobby. | 我爱你,Bobby |
[28:04] | But, I don’t know. | 但是,我不知道 |
[28:07] | It’s just–it seems with, | 只是。。。这似乎 |
[28:09] | with everything that I’ve been through, | 与我所经历的一切有关 |
[28:11] | I, I guess I feel.. | 我,我想我是感到。。。 |
[28:14] | a little emotionally depleted. | 有点情感枯竭了 |
[28:16] | And what little I have | 而剩下的那一点 |
[28:18] | I give to our son, | 我给了咱们的儿子 |
[28:20] | and… | 还有。。。 |
[28:22] | it seems… | 好像是。。。 |
[28:25] | I have nothing left. | 我一无所有 |
[28:30] | You said that in starting your own firm. | 你说过你在开始办自己的事务所时 |
[28:35] | you were beginning a process | 你开始走上了一条离开我的路 |
[28:40] | of leaving me. | 你开始走上了一条离开我的路 |
[28:44] | Where are you in that process? | 你现在走到那一步了? |
[28:50] | I want us to make it. | 我希望我们能解决这个问题 |
[28:54] | I so desperately want us to make it. | 我非常希望我们能解决这个问题 |
[29:06] | DICKSON: Personally, | 就我个人而言 |
[29:07] | I’m tired of the smug morality | 我厌倦了反死刑者们的 |
[29:08] | of death-penalty opponents. | 道德标榜 |
[29:11] | It’s easy to be for life. | 生活是很轻松的 |
[29:13] | What’s tough is to stand | 难的是坚持正确的立场 |
[29:15] | for what’s right. | 难的是坚持正确的立场 |
[29:17] | What’s hard is to do | 难的是去干处置那些不把 |
[29:19] | the dirty work of dealing with those | 难的是去干处置那些不把 |
[29:20] | who have no regard | 他人生命当回事的人的脏活儿 |
[29:21] | for the lives of others. | 他人生命当回事的人的脏活儿 |
[29:23] | We blame poverty for their crimes, | 我们把他们的罪行归咎于贫穷 |
[29:25] | the fact that their parents | 归咎于他们的父母 |
[29:27] | didn’t love them enough, | 不够关爱他们 |
[29:28] | the media. | 归咎于媒体 |
[29:28] | We even blame ourselves. | 我们甚至归咎于自己 |
[29:31] | We’ve become so weak | 我们已经如此软弱 |
[29:33] | and morally uncertain | 且缺乏道德标准 |
[29:35] | that we can’t even come together | 以致于我们甚至不能一致行动起来 |
[29:37] | to punish those who kill us. | 去严惩那些杀害我们的人 |
[29:41] | Today, | 今天 |
[29:42] | I stand for the silent dead. | 我代表沉默的死者 |
[29:46] | Lauren Hayes can’t speak for herself, | Lauren Hayes不能为自己发声了 |
[29:48] | but her blood cries out. | 但她的鲜血在呼喊 |
[29:50] | Do justice to Troy Ezekiel. | 要伸张正义 |
[29:53] | He took her life, | 他夺走了她的生命 |
[29:55] | her future, | 她的未来 |
[29:57] | all that she was or will ever be, | 她过去或将来的一切 |
[29:59] | and he took even more than that. | 而且他夺走的还不止这些 |
[30:02] | He took her sons’ futures. | 他夺走了她儿子们的未来 |
[30:05] | He sentenced them | 他把他们推进了 |
[30:05] | to a life of foster homes, | 在寄养家庭生活中 |
[30:07] | and uncertainty, | 漂泊不定 |
[30:08] | and pain. | 以及痛苦 |
[30:11] | Make no mistake, | 诸位听好了 |
[30:13] | there was more than one victim there. | 可不止一个受害者 |
[30:14] | Those boys are victims, too. | 那三个孩子也是 |
[30:18] | Like me, you men are prosecutors. | 和我一样,你们也是检察官 |
[30:21] | Our duty is to protect society. | 我们的责任是保护社会 |
[30:25] | Executing Troy Ezekiel | 处决Troy Ezekiel |
[30:26] | will affirm that we as a people | 会申明我们作为一个民族 |
[30:29] | are prepared to bear | 准备要承担任何伦理义务以及任何道德代价 |
[30:31] | any ethical burden | 准备要承担任何伦理义务以及任何道德代价 |
[30:32] | and bear any moral cost | 准备要承担任何伦理义务以及任何道德代价 |
[30:34] | to defend our citizens | 去我们的公民以及我们的生活方式 |
[30:36] | and our way of life. | 去我们的公民以及我们的生活方式 |
[30:39] | God help us. | 愿上帝保佑我们吧 |
[30:41] | If we’re not strong enough | 假如我们再也不敢于做到这些的话 |
[30:42] | to do that anymore. | 假如我们再也不敢于做到这些的话 |
[30:53] | Up until now you’ve heard | 到目前为止你们听到的 |
[30:54] | mainly from Eugene Young. | 主要是Eugene Young所讲的 |
[30:57] | I’d like you to hear from me now. | 我希望你们现在能听听我的 |
[31:00] | Personally, | 就个人而言 |
[31:02] | I’ve always been pro-death penalty. | 我一直支持死刑 |
[31:04] | In the last few years, | 在过去的几年里 |
[31:06] | I’ve switched. | 我改变了立场 |
[31:08] | Mainly on grounds of humanity, | 主要是因为人性 |
[31:11] | but also on grounds | 但也是基于 |
[31:14] | the reality that the system | 这个体系从根本上说 |
[31:16] | is so fundamentally flawed. | 是有缺陷的的现实 |
[31:19] | More than a hundred death-row inmates | 有一百多个死囚 |
[31:21] | have been cleared and released. | 已经被洗清罪名并释放 |
[31:23] | Who knows how many innocent people | 天知道我们已经杀了 |
[31:25] | we’ve killed. | 多少无辜的人 |
[31:26] | Mr. Berluti, | Berluti先生 |
[31:28] | for the sake of this hearing | 且不论本次听证会我们是 |
[31:29] | we assume guilt. | 假定罪名成立的 |
[31:30] | And even if we didn’t, | 就算不是这样 |
[31:32] | are you really suggesting to us | 你是真的在向我们表明 |
[31:34] | that Troy Ezekiel is innocent? | Troy Ezekiel是无辜的吗? |
[31:36] | I’m suggesting to you | 我向你们表明的是 |
[31:37] | that the system of capital punishment | 有关极刑的制度体系 |
[31:39] | is broken. | 是出了问题的 |
[31:40] | How people get on death row | 人们何以被判死刑 |
[31:42] | is suspect, | 是存在疑问的 |
[31:43] | and it’s suspect here. | 本案既是如此 |
[31:45] | How so? | 怎么会这样呢? |
[31:47] | This is politics. | 是因为政治因素 |
[31:50] | The fact is if we had a Democrat | 事实是如果我们由一个民主党人 |
[31:52] | in the white house, | 主掌白宫 |
[31:53] | none of us would be here today, | 就没有今天这回事了 |
[31:55] | not on these facts, | 尤其是对于一个不存在死刑的州就更不用说了 |
[31:57] | especially in a state | 尤其是对于一个不存在死刑的州就更不用说了 |
[31:58] | that doesn’t have the death penalty. | 尤其是对于一个不存在死刑的州就更不用说了 |
[32:01] | But now everything is different. | 但现在一切都不同了 |
[32:04] | Under this administration, | 在本届政府的领导下 |
[32:06] | we do it all the time. | 我们总是这样做的 |
[32:08] | We’ve sought more executions | 在过去的六个月里 |
[32:09] | in the last six months | 我们已经争取到 |
[32:12] | than Bill Clinton did | 比克林顿执政八年中 |
[32:13] | in the last eight years. | 还多的死刑判决 |
[32:15] | What kind of system allows that to happen, | 什么样的制度体系会允许这种情况 |
[32:18] | where the same crime, | 同样的罪行 |
[32:19] | the same criminal | 同样的罪犯 |
[32:21] | is treated differently | 因不同的人掌权 |
[32:23] | based on who’s in office? | 而区别对待? |
[32:25] | One gets to live, | 一个会活着 |
[32:27] | one gets to die. | 另一个被处死 |
[32:29] | I’d advise you to excise | 我建议你省去 |
[32:30] | the political commentary, Counsel, | 你的政治评论,律师 |
[32:32] | and just stick to Troy Ezekiel. | 只谈Troy Ezekiel一案吧 |
[32:35] | The death penalty | 死刑是我们拥有的最极致的惩罚手段 |
[32:36] | is the greatest punishment we have. | 死刑是我们拥有的最极致的惩罚手段 |
[32:39] | It’s reserved for the most | 这是为最恶毒的罪犯预备的 |
[32:41] | vicious criminals. | 这是为最恶毒的罪犯预备的 |
[32:43] | It’s the remedy we use | 这是我们给最坏的坏人下的狠药 |
[32:44] | for the worst of the worst. | 这是我们给最坏的坏人下的狠药 |
[32:47] | That’s not Troy Ezekiel, | Troy Ezekiel不属此类 |
[32:51] | and you know it. | 你们很清楚 |
[32:53] | He needs to be punished. | 他需要受到惩罚 |
[32:55] | He’s ready for that. | 他也准备接受 |
[32:56] | That’s why we came here today. | 因此我们今天来到这儿 |
[32:59] | That’s why Troy answered | 也因此Troy回答了你们所有的问题 |
[33:00] | all your questions | 也因此Troy回答了你们所有的问题 |
[33:01] | and in the process, | 在这个过程中 |
[33:02] | guaranteed himself a conviction. | 他坦承了自己有罪 |
[33:05] | He knows his life | 他知道他的生命 |
[33:07] | is in your hands. | 掌握在你们手里 |
[33:11] | The decision the five of you make today | 你们五个人今天做出的决定 |
[33:14] | is about much more | 除我当事人的命运外 |
[33:16] | than the fate of my client. | 还关乎很多更重要的东西 |
[33:19] | It’s about the character | 这关乎于这个委员会的品行 |
[33:21] | of this committee. | 这关乎于这个委员会的品行 |
[33:23] | It’s about the integrity | 这关乎于这个制度体系的正直性 |
[33:25] | of this system. | 这关乎于这个制度体系的正直性 |
[33:31] | He’s a boy. | 他是个孩子 |
[33:33] | You can’t seek to kill him | 你们不能设法要杀掉他 |
[33:36] | and tell me politics | 同时还跟我说什么这无关政治 |
[33:38] | isn’t in play. | 同时还跟我说什么这无关政治 |
[34:00] | How long you think | 你觉得要多久 |
[34:01] | before we hear something? | 才有消息? |
[34:03] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[34:04] | Jimmy’s checking. | Jimmy在盯着呢 |
[34:06] | We’re hoping for an answer today. | 我们希望今天能有消息 |
[34:12] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[34:15] | I know you don’t like me much, | 我知道你很不喜欢我 |
[34:17] | but… | 但是。。。 |
[34:21] | I just want to say thank you for… | 我就是想谢谢你。。。 |
[34:29] | you like being a lawyer? | 你喜欢当律师吗? |
[34:32] | For the most part. | 绝大多数情况是的 |
[34:35] | You seem good at it. | 你看起来很在行 |
[34:37] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[34:40] | How long does it take? | 要多长时间? |
[34:42] | Sorry? | 你指什么? |
[34:44] | Law school. | 法学院 |
[34:45] | Four years of college, | 大学四年 |
[34:46] | but how many years for law school? | 法学院有多少年? |
[34:49] | Three. | 三年 |
[34:52] | Seven years. | 一共七年 |
[34:56] | I’ve been thinking of doing it. | 我一直在考虑这样做 |
[35:00] | I think I wanna be a public defender. | 我认为我想当一名公设辩护律师 |
[35:03] | You ever do that? | 你想过吗? |
[35:07] | No. That’s what I think | – 没有 – 我就是这样想的 |
[35:08] | I wanna do, help people. | 我想这么做,帮助人们 |
[35:12] | That’s what I’mma do. | 这就是我打算要做的 |
[35:21] | They called us back. | 他们叫我们回会议室 |
[35:39] | The defendant’s youth, | 被告是年轻人 |
[35:41] | his relatively short | 他的犯罪历史 |
[35:42] | criminal history, | 相对较短 |
[35:43] | and his family circumstances | 而且他的家庭环境 |
[35:46] | are mitigating factors | 也是可以从轻发落的因素 |
[35:47] | that certainly support us | 这些当然是促使我们 |
[35:48] | pursuing a lesser sentence | 做出比死刑为轻的判决的 |
[35:49] | than death. | 做出比死刑为轻的判决的 |
[35:52] | However, | 然而 |
[35:53] | the reckless nature of the crime, | 肆无忌惮的犯罪性质 |
[35:55] | the fact it furthered drug trafficking, | 助长毒品交易的事实 |
[35:57] | its commission so close to a school, | 发生在离学校如此之近的距离 |
[36:00] | the enormous impact it had | 对受害者的家人 |
[36:01] | on the victim’s family. | 造成的巨大影响 |
[36:03] | These aggravating facts also support us | 这些令人愤慨的事实也促使我们 |
[36:05] | filing death papers | 提出死刑量刑 |
[36:06] | and seeking to execute him. | 并争取处决他 |
[36:10] | Based on today’s presentation, | 根据今天的情况说明会 |
[36:13] | the committee has voted in this case | 委员会对此案进行了表决 |
[36:16] | to seek life without | 要求对被告终身监禁 |
[36:17] | possibility of parole. | 且不允许保释 |
[36:19] | Heinous as this crime was, | 尽管这罪行令人发指 |
[36:22] | we feel this criminal does not deserve | 但我们觉得这个罪犯 |
[36:23] | to pay the ultimate price. | 并不应当付出终极的代价 |
[36:28] | The committee’s work is done. | 委员会工作到此结束 |
[36:30] | We’re adjourned. | 休会 |
[36:37] | MR. EZEKIEL: God bless you | 因你的仁慈 |
[36:38] | for your mercy. | 愿上帝保佑你 |
[36:40] | God bless each one of you. | 愿上帝保佑你们每一个人 |
[36:53] | I almost cried. | 我差点哭了 |
[36:55] | I’ve sat in on so many of those committees | 我作为另一方参加过很多次这样的委员会 |
[36:57] | from the other side, | 我作为另一方参加过很多次这样的委员会 |
[36:58] | but this time, | 但这次 |
[37:03] | I just took off all my clothes | 我真想脱掉衣服 |
[37:04] | and began to sing as loud as I could. | 纵情歌唱 |
[37:09] | Then I jumped up on the table | 然后跳上桌子 |
[37:11] | and began a tap dance, naked. | 裸体跳起舞来 |
[37:16] | So, how did you and Lindsay | 你和Lindsay为什么隔阂如此之大呢? |
[37:17] | become so disconnected? | 你和Lindsay为什么隔阂如此之大呢? |
[37:18] | You’re such a profound listener. | 因为你是个有深邃洞察力的倾听者 |
[37:22] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[37:23] | I was a little… | 我有点。。。 |
[37:26] | What were you thinking about? | 你在想什么? |
[37:29] | I never thought | 我从没想过 |
[37:30] | I’d ever have an affair. | 我会有外遇的 |
[37:35] | And here I am having one. | 而现在我有了一个 |
[37:39] | We’re having dinner. | 我们在吃晚饭 |
[37:40] | Like you say… | 就像你说的。。。 |
[37:42] | innocent. | 纯洁的 |
[37:43] | Whether I kiss you | 无论我吻你 |
[37:45] | or sleep with you, | 还是和你上床 |
[37:47] | that only changes the degree, Sarah. | 那只是程度不同而已,Sarah |
[37:52] | I’m having dinner with a woman | 我正在和一个被其吸引的女人 |
[37:53] | I’m attracted to. | 一起吃晚饭 |
[37:57] | Well, Bobby, I’ve committed | Bobby,我已经保证 |
[37:58] | to the simple friendship theory. | 只是普通的朋友关系 |
[37:59] | Why can’t you? | 你为什么不行么? |
[38:00] | Oh, come on. | 噢,得了吧 |
[38:02] | You’re here in the spirit | 你来这儿是本着普通朋友的精神吗? |
[38:03] | of simple friendship? | 你来这儿是本着普通朋友的精神吗? |
[38:04] | Why not? | 为什么不呢? |
[38:07] | The truth is I don’t have | 其实是我不再有那么多朋友了 |
[38:08] | that many friends anymore. | 其实是我不再有那么多朋友了 |
[38:09] | I moved off to D. C., | 我搬去了华盛顿 |
[38:10] | and now I’m back. | 现在我回来了 |
[38:12] | Most of my friends have settled. | 我大多数朋友都有了着落了 |
[38:14] | They have families. | 他们有家人 |
[38:17] | I don’t even have a close girlfriend | 我甚至都没有闺蜜 |
[38:18] | that I can call up and say, | 可以打电话聊天 |
[38:19] | “Gee, I’m falling for this great guy, | “天哪,我爱上了这个帅哥, |
[38:20] | but he’s married.” | 但他有老婆了” |
[38:24] | Scary stuff like that | 像那样可怕的事 |
[38:36] | it helps to have somebody to talk to. | 找个人聊聊会有用的 |
[38:50] | This is getting more dangerous | 这变得比我想要的危险得多了 |
[38:51] | than I want it to. | 这变得比我想要的危险得多了 |
[38:56] | I think I should go home. | 我想我该回家了 |
[39:02] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[39:11] | When did this come in? | 什么时候发过来的? |
[39:13] | Just now. | 就刚才 |
[39:14] | How can this be? | 怎么能这样? |
[39:15] | What happened? | 怎么了? |
[39:17] | The Attorney General rejected | 司法部长拒绝了 |
[39:18] | the committee’s recommendation. | 委员会的建议 |
[39:21] | What? | 什么? |
[39:22] | “Under orders of the Office | “根据司法部长办公室的命令 |
[39:23] | of the Attorney General, | “根据司法部长办公室的命令 |
[39:24] | the United States Attorneys’ Office | 首席联邦检察官办公室 |
[39:26] | has filed a motion | 已提交对你的当事人Troy Ezekiel |
[39:27] | to seek the execution of your client, | 采用死刑的动议” |
[39:30] | Troy Ezekiel.” | 采用死刑的动议” |
[39:31] | He can just overrule the committee? | 他能就这样推翻委员会的决定吗? |
[39:33] | Here he is. | 就是他 |
[39:35] | Talking about our case? | 谈我们这个案子? |
[39:37] | No. Just the death penalty in general. | 不是,只从总体上谈死刑的问题 |
[39:38] | …the United States Congress speaks, | 美国国会做出声明 |
[39:40] | they speak the voice of the people | 他们代表了这个国家人民的声音 |
[39:42] | of this country, | 他们代表了这个国家人民的声音 |
[39:43] | and it’s clear that America | 显然美国非常关心 |
[39:45] | is so concerned about the safety | 其公民的安全和保障 |
[39:47] | and security of its citizens | 其公民的安全和保障, |
[39:48] | that certain crimes | 某些针对这个国家人民的罪行 |
[39:49] | against the people of this country | 某些针对这个国家人民的罪行 |
[39:51] | have been designated | 已经美国国会认定 |
[39:52] | as death-eligible | 并由总统签署成为法律 |
[39:53] | by the Congress of the United States, | 并由总统签署成为法律 |
[39:55] | signed into law by presidents. | 是符合判处死刑条件的 |
[39:56] | MAN: Mr. Attorney General… | 司法部长先生。。。 |
[40:10] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[40:12] | Listen, I, I… | 听我说,我。。。 |
[40:13] | I wanted you to stop it. | 我希望你别再继续了 |
[40:16] | I wouldn’t have had the discipline | 到最后我不会有自制力 |
[40:17] | and the common sense in the end, | 和符合常识的判断力的 |
[40:18] | so I’m glad. | 所以我很荣幸 |
[40:21] | I agree. | 但我也同意 |
[40:22] | It’s best we stop now | 现在我们最好 |
[40:24] | before it does get too dangerous. | 在出大麻烦前就打住 |
[40:32] | Excuse me. Where the hell’s my car? | 不好意思,我的车怎么还没送来? |
[40:34] | MAN: It’s coming. | 就来了 |
[40:35] | It’s just really important | 我真的有急事 |
[40:36] | that I get out of here. | 要马上离开这 |
[40:45] | Again, thanks for dinner. | 再一次感谢你请我吃晚饭 |
[40:56] | Are you okay? | 你没事吧? |
[40:57] | Sure, I’m fine. | 嗯,我没事 |
[41:01] | Maybe we’ll see each other in court. | 也许我们会在法庭上碰到的 |
[42:14] | YOUNG: Next on The Practice. | 下集预告未作翻译 |