时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | We need Emma at the trial. | 我们得让Emma出庭 |
[00:03] | I can’t allow that. | 我不同意 |
[00:05] | Brad . . . | |
[00:06] | She’s ten years old | 她才10岁 |
[00:07] | I understand that. | 这我明白 |
[00:07] | I said no. | 我说了不行 |
[00:09] | She’s a child. | 她只是个孩子 |
[00:11] | Listen to me | 听我说 |
[00:13] | You have serious monster issues here. | 你犯的是不可饶恕的滔天大罪 |
[00:17] | To the world and to the potential jury pool, | 在大众和那些潜在的陪审员看来 |
[00:19] | you are the man who murdered his pregnant wife and unborn son. | 你就是那个谋杀了自己怀孕的妻子和未出世孩子的人 |
[00:24] | The best way to humanize you | 能够展现你人性的一面的最好方法 |
[00:25] | is to let the jury see you as a father and not a killer. | 就是让陪审团意识到你是个父亲 而不是个杀人犯 |
[00:30] | And the best way to accomplish that | 而实现这一目标的最好方法 |
[00:32] | is to have your daughter by your side | 就是让你的女儿站在你一边 |
[00:35] | at your side. | 支持你 |
[00:36] | And what will that do to her? | 那这对她有什么好处? |
[00:37] | To have to sit there and listen while her father is . . . | 让她坐在那里听着她父亲在大庭广众面前 |
[00:40] | . . .demonized before the . . . | 被描述成魔鬼 |
[00:41] | She’s already hearing that everywhere she turns. | 她去哪儿都可以听见这些事情 |
[00:44] | I think the real question is what will it do to her to see you go to prison | 我认为真正的问题是看到你即将入狱 会对她有什么影响 |
[00:49] | which is exactly what we’re looking at. | 这才是我们正面对的问题 |
[00:57] | You need to get me out on bail,Ellenor. | 你必须把我保释出去 Ellenor |
[00:59] | Brad,you are up on double homicide! I hardly think . . . | Brad 你犯的是双重谋杀!我不认为你… |
[01:02] | You need to think of a way | 你得想个法子 |
[01:04] | I need to address a potential jury pool. | 我要对那些潜在陪审员说话 |
[01:06] | For that,I need to have a news conference. | 因此 我要开个新闻发布会 |
[01:08] | To do that,I gotta get outta here. | 要那么做 我必须要离开这里 |
[01:11] | The judge is never going . . . | 法官是不会让你…… |
[01:13] | Ellenor, | |
[01:13] | I need you to start demonstrating the zeal that comes with defending an innocent man. | 我需要你拿出保护无辜的人的那种热情来 |
[01:20] | Homicide suspects are sometimes afforded bail. | 凶杀嫌疑人有时候会被允许保释的 |
[01:24] | I need you to accomplish that courtesy for me-now! | 我要你给我搞定这个 马上! |
[01:52] | The practice S8E01 | |
[02:21] | Gentlemen,thank you for coming in. | 先生们 感谢你们的到来 |
[02:30] | I’m informed you still plan to argue self-defense. | 我得知你们仍然计划以自卫进行辩护 |
[02:32] | Actual,defense of others,but same principle. | 实际上 是防卫他人 但还是基于同一原则 |
[02:35] | You’ll not be arguing self-defense or defense of others,Mr. Young. | 你是不会以自我防卫或防卫他人 来辩护的 Young先生 |
[02:39] | There’s no factual basis for it,and it won’t be asserted. | 那完全没有事实依据 而且也不能被证实 |
[02:44] | Well,we have to be allowed to put on a defense. | 那个 我们被允许提出辩诉 |
[02:46] | Well,you won’t be allowed to put on that one. | 你们不允许提出这个 |
[02:49] | Let’s watch together,shall we? | 我们一起看一遍带子 可以吗? |
[02:51] | We’ve all seen the tape. | 我们都看过那带子了 |
[02:53] | You’ll see it again-with me. | 那你就再看一遍 和我一起 |
[02:59] | Here comes your client. | 这是你们的委托人 |
[03:08] | If you so much as attempt to argue self-defense or defense of others, | 如果你们还再三试图辩称是自我防卫或者防卫他人 |
[03:12] | I will hold you in contempt of court. | 那我将告你们藐视法庭 |
[03:15] | Are we clear,gentlemen? | 都明白吗 先生们? |
[03:21] | Then we’d like to change our plea,your Honor. | 那么 我们要更改我们的抗辩意见 法官阁下 |
[03:24] | -To? -Insanity. | – 改成? – 精神失常 |
[03:26] | And what’s your basis for that? | 那你们的依据是什么? |
[03:28] | You saw the tape. She’s crazy. | 您看过带子了 她疯了 |
[03:40] | -Insanity? -It’s all we’ve got left. Tara . | – 精神失常? – 只能争取到这个了 Tara |
[03:43] | Jamie,I need that motion on Lemony. | Jimmy 我需要Lemony一案的动议 |
[03:44] | Ah,please hold. | 啊 请等一下 |
[03:45] | I went through the list of doctors; two are willing to testify. | 我翻阅了医生名单 有两个人愿意作证 |
[03:48] | They want their full retainer. | 他们要全额酬金 |
[03:51] | And you have another problem. | 你还有个麻烦 |
[03:53] | Markham got called. | Markham被传唤了 |
[03:55] | -For when? -For now. Judge Dickem. | – 什么时候? – 就刚才 Dickem法官 |
[03:58] | -Did you tell . . . – I did. He won’t budge. | – 你没说… – 说了 他不接受 |
[04:00] | Jamie,can you do the pretrial? | Jamie 你能做庭前预审么? |
[04:02] | -Me? -Oh,yeah. | 我?哦 好的 |
[04:03] | If we don’t find a shrink,we might as well . . . | 如果我们找不到精神医生作证 我们也可能… |
[04:05] | We will. | 会找到的 |
[04:07] | Keep looking | 继续找 |
[04:08] | Come on,let’s go see the client. | 来吧 我们去见委托人 |
[04:09] | Call Dickham’s clerk. I need to speak to him personally. | 打电话给Dickham的秘书 我要和他私下谈谈 |
[04:12] | Ellenor | |
[04:13] | Alan! Hey,what’s up? | Alan 嘿 你怎么来了? |
[04:15] | Do you have a second? | 有空么? |
[04:16] | Actually,I don’t. | 事实上 我没空 |
[04:17] | Something came up at Carruthers. | Carruthers事务所那边出了些事 |
[04:20] | I left. | 我离开那了 |
[04:21] | Now I’m looking for new employment. | 现在我想找个新东家 |
[04:23] | And since my heart has always yearned to do whatever this is . . . | 而我也一直都有那样的打算 不管那有多么… |
[04:26] | What exactly came up at Carruthers,Alan? | Carruthers那边究竟出什么事了 Alan? |
[04:29] | I embezzled. | 因为我贪污 |
[04:31] | Allegedly. | 据说是 |
[04:33] | Could I have some coffee,please? With cream Thank you | 给我来杯咖啡好么?加点奶油 谢谢 |
[04:38] | I’d be such a natural here. | 我感到在这里会如鱼得水的 |
[04:39] | Wait a second. You expect me to recommend you for employment after you stole . . . ? | 等等 你指望我在你偷了东西后 再给你提供工作? |
[04:44] | The important thing is | 关键是 |
[04:47] | I feel . . . icky. | 我已经感觉…腻味了 |
[04:50] | Alan . . . | |
[04:50] | I’m the leading anti-trust lawyer in the state. | 我是这个州有名的反垄断律师 |
[04:53] | I’m going through an enormous character growth | 我正在经历一次人生的巨大波澜 |
[04:56] | Just the same. | 彼此彼此 |
[04:56] | And I need a break. | 我得好好歇歇了 |
[05:01] | I’ll tell you what. | 我要告诉你的是 |
[05:02] | You do a case for us today see how you like it. | 今天你得给我们办件案子 看看你有几把刷子 |
[05:05] | Today. I could . . . | 今天? 我… |
[05:06] | Misdemeanor battery. Homeless person-kissed somebody. | 轻度骚扰罪 有个流浪汉吻了某人 |
[05:08] | You certainly don’t expect me to walk in and try a case on the fly. | 你肯定不希望我走进这里 随便接个案子了事 |
[05:11] | If there’s any problem, | 如果有什么问题 |
[05:12] | I will be on vibrate. | 我手机开着呢 |
[05:14] | Ellie,Ellie. | |
[05:19] | I have issues with homeless people. | 我和无家可归的人有点过节 |
[05:21] | What issues? | 什么过节? |
[05:22] | They don’t like me. | 他们不喜欢我 |
[05:24] | I think it must be cultural. | 我想应该是文化上的冲突 |
[05:25] | Look,I am late for a motion. | 有个动议我快赶不上了 |
[05:28] | You try the case. Then,we’ll talk. | 你先接这个案子 然后 再说 |
[05:34] | Bugger. | 色狼 |
[05:38] | Isn’t it up to a jury? | 不是说取决于陪审团的么 |
[05:39] | I don’t get a jury? | 我没见陪审团的机会? |
[05:41] | You do. | 当然有 |
[05:41] | But,unfortunately,the judge can cut off the defense if he feels it’s not supported. | 但是 不幸的是 如果法官觉得辩护缺乏依据 那他可能会否决掉 |
[05:46] | What do I do? I’m dead. | 我该怎么办?我死定了 |
[05:51] | Our only choice now is insanity. | 我们现在唯一的选择就是“精神失常” |
[05:54] | I wasn’t insane. | 我精神没有失常! |
[05:56] | Understood. | 我知道 |
[05:57] | But it’s the only mechanism we have left to secure an acquittal. | 但这是能让你得到无罪判决的唯一手段了 |
[06:02] | Shooting that man was maybe the most clear-headed thing I ever did in my life. | 向那男的开枪也许就是我一生做过的最清醒的事情 |
[06:08] | Not anymore. | 不再是了 |
[06:14] | No way. | 不是吧 |
[06:16] | You’re his lawyer? | 你是他的律师? |
[06:17] | Is there a problem? | 有意见么? |
[06:18] | You’re Alan Shore. | 你可是Alan Shore |
[06:21] | What are you doing at a criminal bench trial? | 你怎么会来听由法官审判的刑事案件? (bench trial 没有陪审团 由法官审判的案子) |
[06:22] | Looking to meet women | 来邂逅女性 |
[06:24] | I perused the file,and I think we can both agree it’s beneath us | 我细读了一下案子 我想你我都会同意这案子不值一提 |
[06:29] | so why don’t we dispose of it,go get a drink? | 那么我们为什么不马上把它解决掉 然后去喝一杯? |
[06:32] | The victim filed,and my boss won’t kick civilian complaints. | 受害人提起诉讼 而且我上司从不拒绝民事诉讼 |
[06:36] | It’s not like anybody got hurt,Cindy. May I call you Cindy? | 反正也没人受伤 Cindy 我能叫你Cindy吗? |
[06:39] | My name’s Kate. | 我叫Kate |
[06:40] | -Kate. -Umm. Sixty days | – 60天监禁 |
[06:44] | Is this the way it’s going to be? | 这是你想要的吗 |
[06:45] | Hey,if you can get the victim to withdraw,the drink’s on me. | 嗨 如果你能让被害人撤诉 我请你喝一杯 |
[06:50] | Otherwise,take the offer to your client, | 否则 把这个提议转给你的委托人 |
[06:52] | who’s,uh,right over there- | 就是 呃 在那边 |
[06:55] | in case you haven’t met him. | 猜你还没见过他 |
[07:07] | Mr.Markham,I’m Alan Shore,your attorney. | Markham先生 我是Alan Shore 你的律师 |
[07:10] | What happened to Ms. Frutt? | Frutt女士怎么没来? |
[07:12] | She’s tied up. | 她脱不开身 (另一个意思是被紧缚着 SM – -b) |
[07:12] | Nothing sexual,I assure you. I’ll be taking over the case. | 当然我保证 和性那个没关系 我会搞定这个案子的 |
[07:17] | So,how are we today,sir? | 那么 我们现在的状况怎么样 先生? |
[07:20] | I-I just Halle-Berry’ed her. | 我只是”哈莉贝瑞”了她 (指03年奥斯卡颁奖礼时亚德里安布罗迪 当众激吻哈莉贝瑞) |
[07:21] | That’s all I did. | 只是这样而已 |
[07:24] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么? |
[07:25] | Like at the Oscars? | 就像在奥斯卡颁奖礼上那样 |
[07:26] | Look,I just planted one on her, | 我只是亲了她一下 |
[07:30] | cause when else would I get a chance? | 不然我什么时候还有机会这么做? |
[07:32] | That’s all I did. | 就这样而已 |
[07:35] | I see. | 了解 |
[07:38] | We all knew it was a crack house and a lot of us were upset-especially Aisha. | 我们都知道那是吸毒者的聚集地 我们很多人都对那非常反感 尤其是Aisha |
[07:43] | She lost a child to a drive-by three years ago. | 她3年前在黑帮火拼中失去了一个孩子 |
[07:47] | Now,sir,calling attention to the afternoon of July third, | 现在 先生 我们来关注一下7月3日那天下午 |
[07:51] | could you tell us what you saw? | 请你告诉我们发生了什么? |
[07:54] | Yeah. Well,there were a bunch of us,kinda sprucing up the street, | 好的 我们一群人正在装扮街道 |
[07:58] | ’cause we were planning aJuly Fourth block party. | 为独立日街区派对作准备 |
[08:02] | And then,there,we saw him. | 然后 我们就在那看到他了 |
[08:05] | Saw who? | 看到谁了? |
[08:06] | Marcus Thayer,crack dealer. | Marcus Thayer 一个毒贩子 |
[08:08] | Selling his stuff on the steps,like he did every damn day. | 正在台阶上兜售他的货 每天都是如此 |
[08:13] | He had some clients there. | 他在那里有几个买家 |
[08:15] | And what happened? | 然后发生了什么? |
[08:17] | Aisha,she went right up to him, | Aisha 径直向他走过去 |
[08:20] | and she started tellin’ him this and that,get your ass off the street. | 然后她开始骂他 “滚出这条街去!”之类的 |
[08:23] | He got in her face like he always does,and they’re yellin’ back and forth at each other. | 他像往常一样给脸色她看 然后他们开始对骂起来 |
[08:29] | And then she just walked off. | 然后她就离开了 |
[08:31] | After she left,what happened? | 她离开后发生了什么? |
[08:33] | Well,then I got into it,and he came at me just like he did her. | 然后我介入了 他又像对待她一样冲我破口大骂 |
[08:38] | And I told him,he’d better not be out there pushing his crack during our block party. | 然后我就警告他最好不要在 我们的街区派对上兜售毒品 |
[08:43] | And we talked a little bit more trash, | 然后我们互相说了一些废话 |
[08:45] | and as I started off,I looked up and here she comes again. | 然后在我要离开时 我看见她又走了回来 |
[08:51] | And now,she’s got a gun, | 不过这次她带了把枪 |
[08:53] | and she’s saying something but truth be told,I eyes were on that gun. | 嘴里还嘟囔着些什么 但老实说 我光注意那把枪了 |
[08:58] | She walked right up to him. She aims,and she shoots him three times. | 她走到他跟前 瞄准 连开三枪 |
[09:05] | Shot him dead right there in the street. | 把他当场打死 横尸街头 |
[09:11] | Mr. Kane,could you describe for us Miss Crenshaw’s demeanor as she fired the gun? | Kane先生 你能否给我们描述一下 Crenshaw女士开枪时的行为举止? |
[09:19] | She looked fed up. | 她看上去已经忍无可忍了 |
[09:22] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[09:30] | You said this Mr. Thayer sold crack every day. | 你刚才说这位Thayer先生每天都在贩卖毒品 |
[09:34] | Why didn’t you people just call the police? | 那你们为什么没有报警? |
[09:38] | We called them all the time! They never did anything. | 我们每次都报了警 但他们没有采取任何措施 |
[09:40] | Nothing? | 一点都没有? |
[09:41] | Oh,they’d drive by now and then,and put up the observation posts with the little cameras. | 噢 他们时不时驱车巡逻一下 还设置了个带小摄像头的岗亭 |
[09:46] | That’s how they got that tape. But they never did do nothing. | 那盘录像带就是这么来的 他们也不是什么都没做 |
[09:49] | To get them to come into our neighborhood,a gun has to go off. | 想要他们来我们的社区 你得开上几枪才行 |
[09:52] | That sounds like an exaggeration. | 那听上去未免夸张了点 |
[09:55] | An exaggeration? | 夸张了点? |
[09:57] | There’s an ice cream truck | 有一辆冰淇淋车 |
[09:59] | drives down our street. | 开过我们那条街 |
[10:01] | Makes all the kids come running. | 孩子们都跟着它跑 |
[10:02] | They sell Popsicles,Fudgsicles,and cocaine. | 他们卖冰棍 巧克力软糖冰棒 还有可卡因 |
[10:07] | The ice cream truck! | 冰淇淋车呀! |
[10:09] | There are children on our street- ten years old-not only usin’,but dealin’! | 我们街上的孩子 才十岁 他们不仅吸食 还进行买卖 |
[10:14] | Mr. Berluti,please step up. | Berluti先生 请上前 |
[10:24] | What is the relevance of this testimony,Mr. Berluti? | 这证词与本案有何关联 Berluti先生? |
[10:26] | Goes to defendant’s intent. Just trying to get a clear picture,Judge, | 根据被告的意图 只是想对案情有个 清晰的看法 法官阁下 |
[10:31] | Do you enjoy practicing law,counsel? | 你很喜欢打官司么 律师? |
[10:34] | You know,Judge | 你知道吗 法官阁下 |
[10:36] | you rebuking me in front of the jury doesn’t make me look good, | 你就这样在陪审团面前指责我让我很不好看 |
[10:40] | so I’m just gonna smile, | 所以我会挤出个笑脸 |
[10:43] | and make it look like the two of us are having a good laugh together. | 让我们俩看上去像是在说笑 |
[10:47] | That be okay,Judge? | 这样行吗? 法官阁下 |
[10:49] | I’m just smiling for effect. | 我这笑脸只是装装样子而已 |
[10:52] | Please don’t think I consider you a funny guy. | 可别以为我觉得你是一个有趣的人 |
[10:57] | Can I continue now,Judge? | 我能继续了么 法官阁下 |
[11:08] | Mr. Markham? | Markham先生 |
[11:10] | It is selective prosecution,that’s what it is. | 它是选择性起诉 就是这样 (指政府基于某种偏见 有选择地对某人进行起诉 |
[11:13] | You’re right. | 没错 |
[11:13] | But while the man who kissed Halle continues to go free | 既然那个强吻哈莉贝瑞的家伙什么事都没有 |
[11:16] | why don’t we sit in here and go over your testimony? | 我们为什么不坐下重温一下你的证词? |
[11:18] | Excuse me? | 打扰一下 |
[11:20] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[11:21] | We have a problem. | 我们有个麻烦 |
[11:23] | We can’t expense new clothes for clients. | 我们支付不起委托人们上庭穿的新衣服 |
[11:26] | Ah,not in the budget. | 预算里没有 |
[11:27] | This is a top criminal firm in Boston. Surely we can afford $200? | 这可是波士顿最顶尖的刑事律所 我们当然可以支付200美元 |
[11:32] | Ah,the top firm that you speak of is | 你指的顶尖律所是 |
[11:35] | Donnell,Young,Dole and Frutt. | |
[11:37] | Donnell is gone,Dole is gone, Washington is gone. | Donnell走了 Dole走了 所以Washington也没门了(购物地方) |
[11:41] | And we don’t take clients shopping. | 而且我们也不会带委托人去购物的 |
[11:44] | Do we take each other shopping? | 那我和你一起去购物行吗? |
[11:52] | I wasn’t insane when I fired that gun. I won’t say I was. | 我开枪时没有精神错乱 我也不会承认的 |
[11:56] | I shot that man because he was killing our children | 我向他开枪是因为他在毒害我们的孩子 |
[11:58] | because he wouldn’t stop killing our children. | 而他从没想过要停止这么做 |
[12:01] | Okay. Look . . . at me,Aisha. | 好吧 看…看着我 Aisha |
[12:06] | Right in the eyes. | 看着我 |
[12:09] | The judge has taken away “defense of others.” | 法官已经排除了防卫他人的辩护可能 |
[12:13] | You explained that. | 你已经解释过了 |
[12:14] | Well evidently not well enough. | 好吧 看来我没解释清楚 |
[12:16] | If we don’t claim insanity, | 如果我们不主张精神失常 |
[12:18] | we have no theory by which to prevail. | 那我们就没办法赢这场官司 |
[12:19] | Then I go to prison. | 那我去坐牢好了 |
[12:22] | I’d rather do that than to pretend I’m crazy. | 那也比假装自己疯了要强 |
[12:24] | You look me in the eye. | 你看着我的眼睛 |
[12:28] | I am not nuts. | 我没发疯 |
[12:31] | Drugs are killing our babies. | 毒品正在残害我们的孩子 |
[12:33] | Somebody has to protect our babies.i f the police refuse . . | 必须要有人去保护他们 如果警方不肯… |
[12:36] | -You cannot say that. – Yes,I can. | – 你不能这样主张 – 不 我当然可以 |
[12:38] | -And you can’t stop me. -The judge will stop you. | – 你没法阻止我这么做 – 法官会阻止你的 |
[12:40] | I’m the client. | 我是你的委托人 |
[12:42] | I get to decide what our legal strategy is,counsel. | 由我来决定我们的辩护方式 律师 |
[12:45] | It won’t be insanity. | 而那绝不会是精神失常 |
[12:53] | I do not want bail. | 我不想让你被保释 |
[12:55] | Why not? | 为什么? |
[12:56] | Because if you get let out,there will be a public outcry,Brad. | 因为一旦你出去了 就会引发公众的抗议 Brad |
[13:00] | And that outcry could prejudice us at trial. | 而那些抗议会影响审判 |
[13:03] | I don’t think you follow. | 我想你还不明白 |
[13:05] | If I’m allowed to address the public,the outcry will be squashed. | 如果我能向公众作个声明 那么抗议就会不攻自破 |
[13:08] | That’s the point. | 那才是关键 |
[13:09] | I think you’re over-estimating your charm here. | 我想你过于自我感觉良好了 |
[13:16] | Daddy! | 爸爸 |
[13:18] | Hey,baby! Oh,God! You get bigger every day,young lady. | 嗨 宝贝 天 你每天都在长高 年轻的小姐 |
[13:24] | Hey,Christine. | 嘿 Christine |
[13:25] | Hello. | 你好 |
[13:29] | Miss Shepard,I was wondering if I could talk to you a few minutes. | Shepard女士 我能否和你谈谈 |
[13:34] | Your client murdered my sister,Ms. Frutt. | 你的委托人谋杀了我妹妹 Frutt女士 |
[13:37] | I won’t be cooperating much with his defense. | 我不会配合你为他辩护的 |
[13:43] | It was so gross. | 那简直太下流了 |
[13:46] | I,like,came around the turn in the corridor and he was there. | 我那时 走到走廊的转角处 他站在那儿 |
[13:49] | The defendant? | 也就是被告? |
[13:50] | Yes. And next thing? He was,like, | 是的 然后接下来 他 就像是 |
[13:53] | forcing his skuzzy tongue into my mouth. | 想要把他那恶心的舌头挤进我的嘴里 |
[13:57] | And this occurred when? | 这事发生在? |
[13:58] | At my place of work,for God’s sake! | 就在我工作的地方 看在上帝的份上! |
[14:01] | Everybody saw it. | 大家都看见了 |
[14:03] | And the way he smelled. | 还有他那身臭味 |
[14:04] | His smell was on me. | 那味道留在我身上 |
[14:06] | It took three showers to get it off. | 那味道我足足洗了三次澡才去掉 |
[14:08] | Thank you,Debbie. | 谢谢 Debbie |
[14:14] | Forgive me. I just want to say for the record,you are a very fetching young lady. | 允许我说一句 准确地说 你是位很迷人的女士 |
[14:21] | Do gentlemen hit on you a lot? | 迷上你的男士多么? |
[14:23] | Some. | 有一些 |
[14:24] | I can imagine. | 可以想像 |
[14:25] | At the office Christmas party, | 在办公室的圣诞派对上 |
[14:26] | you ever been suddenly kissed while standing under the mistletoe? | 你有没在槲寄生下被别人突然吻过 |
[14:29] | By coworkers-not total strangers. | 那是同事 而不是陌生人 |
[14:32] | You never filed criminal charges in those instances. | 对此你从未提起过刑事指控 |
[14:35] | No. | 没有 |
[14:36] | That was an honest answer,Debbie. I appreciate that. | 回答很诚实 Debbie 谢谢你 |
[14:39] | Let me ask you this | 那我问你 |
[14:40] | If Brad Pitt suddenly approached you,kissed you-at the office | 如果布拉德・彼特突然接近你 在办公室里亲了你 |
[14:45] | would you call the police? Honestly. | 你会报警吗?老实说 |
[14:47] | He’s not Brad Pitt. | 他可不是布拉德・彼特 |
[14:49] | Yes. I see. | 是的 我知道 |
[14:51] | So it’s not so much being kissed,but rather by whom. | 所以问题不在于你被吻了 而在于你被谁吻了 |
[14:55] | By what. | 是被”什么” |
[14:57] | Thank you Debbie,that was refreshingly honest. | 谢谢 Debbie 你真是直爽 |
[15:02] | By the way,if I were to . . . | 顺便问下 如果我想…… |
[15:07] | Never mind. That’s probably not appropriate. | 没什么了 这也许有点不恰当 |
[15:09] | Step down,young lady. | 你可以下去了 小姐 |
[15:14] | Okay. Accept responsibility. | 好 承担责任 |
[15:16] | Show remorse. Convey that you never meant to harm or scare. Okay? | 表现悔意 表明你无意伤害或恐吓她 可以么? |
[15:21] | Okay. | 好的 |
[15:24] | The defense calls Randy Markham. | 辩方要求传唤Randy Markham |
[15:26] | Why? | 为什么? |
[15:28] | Why? | 为什么? |
[15:29] | as If he did it,I don’t have to hear why. | 如果他那么做了 我没必要听他解释了 |
[15:32] | It takes my time. I value my time,Mr. Shore | 这是在浪费我的时间 我的时间很宝贵的 |
[15:36] | When it’swasted,my hemorrhoids tend to bubble up. | 你在那浪费时间 我这里痔疮都起泡了 |
[15:38] | He’s a defendant. | 他是被告 |
[15:39] | In Massachusetts,I believe the constitution trumps the bubbled hemorrhoid. | 我相信本州的宪法比起泡的痔疮更重要 |
[15:44] | i could be wrong. | 我可能错了 |
[15:45] | You know what? You’re absolutely right. | 你知道么? 你很对 |
[15:49] | If your client chooses to testify, | 如果你的委托人选择作证 |
[15:51] | that is his constitutional right. | 这是宪法赋予他的权利 |
[15:54] | It would certainly be very inappropriate for me to deter the exercising of that | 那我阻止他行使这项宝贵的权利 |
[15:59] | precious entitlement. | 的确是不合适的 |
[16:02] | Would your client like to testify,Mr. Shore? | 你的委托人真要作证? Shore先生 |
[16:09] | Why don’t you have a seat? | 坐吧 |
[16:14] | We wanted to talk to you about your dad’s trial,which starts next week. | 我们要和你谈谈你爸爸下周要开始的审判 |
[16:18] | He told me. You want me to come? | 他告诉我了 你要让我去? |
[16:20] | Yes. | 是的 |
[16:21] | We also were thinking of calling you as a witness. | 我们还在考虑传唤你在庭上作证 |
[16:25] | Did your dad tell you that? | 你爸爸告诉过你吗? |
[16:26] | Yes. You want me to say my mom seemed really sad | 是的 你们要让我说我妈妈看上去很绝望 |
[16:30] | so people will believe she committed suicide. | 那么人们就会相信她是自杀的 |
[16:33] | We just want you to tell the truth. | 我们只是让你说出真相 |
[16:36] | She seemed really sad. | 她好像真的很绝望 |
[16:39] | Do you think your mom killed herself? | 你认为你妈妈是自杀么? |
[16:42] | I know my dad didn’t kill her. | 我知道我爸爸没有杀她 |
[16:45] | He loved her. | 他很爱她 |
[16:48] | She seemed so sad, | 她似乎很悲伤绝望 |
[16:49] | so I think she must have committed suicide. | 所以我觉得她一定是自杀的 |
[16:53] | Emma,did your dad ask you to say that? | Emma 是你爸爸教你那么说的? |
[16:58] | No. | 不是 |
[17:25] | Mr. Markham? | Markham先生? |
[17:27] | Hi. So sorry to come here. | 很抱歉来这里 |
[17:31] | Ah,my daughter Ashley . . . | 这是我的女儿 Ashley |
[17:33] | Say hello,baby. | 打个招呼 宝贝 |
[17:34] | Hi. | 嗨! |
[17:36] | She never swam in a pool before. | 她以前从没在泳池里游过泳 |
[17:37] | I thought while we were waiting . . . | 我只是想 在等你的时候… |
[17:42] | You have a daughter? | 你有个女儿? |
[17:43] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[17:46] | She live with you on the street? | 她和你一起露宿街头? |
[17:48] | Actually,I’m not homeless. | 实际上 我不是流浪汉 |
[17:50] | Live in a tenement in a project. | 我住在安居工程的廉租房里 |
[17:52] | Ah,I try to give her as normal a life as I can. | 我尽量地让她有个正常的生活 |
[17:56] | What are you doing here? | 你在这儿干嘛? |
[17:58] | I got rolled. | 我被碾了 |
[18:00] | I’m sorry. | 你说什么? |
[18:01] | For my shoes. I got rolled for my shoes. I got nothing for testimony tomorrow. | 我的鞋 我的鞋被碾了 明天上庭我没鞋穿了 |
[18:05] | Had your address and I just figured,you got me this suit,but the shoes,you know,point . . . | 我有你的地址 而且我想 你既然给了我这身西装 但是鞋子… 你知道的 |
[18:13] | I’ll bring you another pair of shoes tomorrow. | 明天我会给你准备另一双鞋子 |
[18:21] | Can I ask you a question? | 我能问你个问题么? |
[18:22] | You don’t gotta answer if you don’t want to. | 如果你不愿回答也可以 |
[18:24] | No. Go ahead. | 没事 说吧 |
[18:27] | That girl in court today said I smelled. | 那女孩今天在庭上说我有点臭 |
[18:30] | Do I smell? | 我臭吗? |
[18:32] | At the moment,only like chlorine. | 目前来说 只有氯水的味道(游泳池用氯水消毒) |
[18:35] | Please. Be honest with me. | 拜托 说实话 |
[18:41] | You do have a distinctive body odor. | 你的确有种独特的体味 |
[18:47] | I do bathe. | 我有洗澡的 |
[18:50] | Maybe not as much . . . | 虽然次数不多 |
[18:54] | I do bathe. | 但我的确有洗澡 |
[18:55] | Look at this Daddy. | 看这个 爸爸 |
[19:00] | I’m really sorry. | 真的很对不起 |
[19:01] | She’s always dreamed of swimming in a pool. I shouldn’t have done this. | 她一直梦想着能在泳池里游泳 我真不该这样 |
[19:04] | No,it’s okay. | 不 没什么 |
[19:08] | Swim as long as you like. | 你们想游多久游多久 |
[19:10] | And I’ll see you tomorrow in court. | 明天庭上见 |
[19:14] | Thank you-very much. | 谢谢你 非常感谢 |
[19:30] | The observation posts are a joke. | 那个哨岗就是个摆设 |
[19:33] | Those drug deals are captured on tape just as clearly as what I did, | 那些毒品交易都被录在带子上 就像清楚录下我所做的事那样 |
[19:37] | but the police don’t respond. | 但警方并没有作出回应 |
[19:40] | I doubt they even look at those tapes. | 我怀疑他们有没有看过那些带子 |
[19:42] | Is crack a big problem in your neighborhood,Aisha? | 毒品在你的街区里是一个大麻烦吗 Aisha |
[19:46] | Is it a big problem? | 大麻烦? |
[19:47] | My two-year-old daughter was killed in a drive-by three years ago. | 我两岁的女儿就是三年前在火拼中被误杀的 |
[19:53] | I’ve seen my friends’ children become dealers,addicts. | 我见过我朋友的孩子变成毒贩子 瘾君子 |
[19:56] | My street has become Crack Lane,Mr. Berluti. | 我们那条街沦为毒品市场了 Berluti先生 |
[20:00] | It’s almost impossible for a child to grow up in our neighborhood | 要想让孩子们在我们的街区健康成长 |
[20:03] | without it being shoved in his face. | 不给他点教训是不行的 |
[20:06] | There are drive-by shootings, | 那里充斥着黑帮火拼 |
[20:07] | random killings, | 随意杀人 |
[20:09] | intentional killings, | 种族残杀 |
[20:11] | and at the root of it all | 而这一切的根源 |
[20:11] | are drugs-cocaine,crack-all being dealt openly | 就是Marcus Thayer那帮人 |
[20:16] | and notoriously by Marcus Thayer and others | 明目张胆地贩卖毒品行为 |
[20:19] | And the police do nothing. | 而警察却熟视无睹 |
[20:20] | Counsel. | 辩护人 |
[20:23] | So what happened that day? | 那么 在那天发生了什么事? |
[20:27] | What happened is | 就在那天…… |
[20:29] | I decided to do something to save the kids on our street. | 我决定要采取些措施以保护街区的孩子们 |
[20:35] | I decided to protect the lives that Marcus Thayer was so intent on destroying. | 我决心保护那些被Marcus Thayer 肆意摧残的无辜生命 |
[20:40] | Miss Crenshaw,as I have advised your counsel | Crenshaw女士 刚才我提醒了你的律师 |
[20:42] | I would advise you. | 我也要提醒你 |
[20:43] | “Defense of others” is nota justifiable theory . . . | “防卫他人”并不是正当理由…… |
[20:46] | It’s justifiable to the parents who live in our neighborhood. | 对住在我们街区的家长们来说是正当的 |
[20:48] | Miss Crenshaw,I would instruct this jury not to accept self-defense or defense of others . . . | Crenshaw女士 我会指示陪审团不接受 “自我防卫”或者“防卫他人”…… |
[20:53] | Why don’t you instruct the mayor to instruct the police to clean up our streets? | 你为什么不指示市长责成警方整治街区呢?! |
[20:56] | You have the right to present your testimony,but as you move forward . . . | 你有权陈述你的证词 但如果你过份…… |
[21:00] | These dealers are arrested over and over,and never do time. It has to stop. | 这些毒贩子一直被逮捕 却从未判刑 是时候阻止他们了 |
[21:04] | I will tell this jury in no uncertain terms that as a matter of law, | 我会毫不犹豫地告诉陪审团 从法律角度来讲 |
[21:08] | they cannot even consider defense of others as an exculpatory theory. | 他们不能将“防卫他人”作为一个开脱罪责的理由 |
[21:12] | Do you understand that? | 你明白吗? |
[21:14] | I think so. | 我明白了 |
[21:15] | As a matter of law,the truth of what happened that day can’t be considered in this room. | 从法律角度来讲 那天发生的事实真相在这里应该视而不见 |
[21:22] | I will see counsel in chambers. | 我要单独会见辩护律师 |
[21:35] | I gave you a specific order. | 我明确指示过你的 |
[21:38] | We passed that on to our client,but as your Honor well knows | 我们转达给委托人了 但法官阁下您很清楚 |
[21:40] | every criminal defendant has the right to take the stand and tell his or her story. | 任何一位刑事被告都有权表明自己的立场 陈述他们的经历 |
[21:45] | Our client chose to exercise that right. | 我们的委托人选择行使了这一权利 |
[21:47] | If you argue defense of others in your closing, | 如果你在结案陈词中辩称防卫他人 |
[21:49] | I will have both of your bar cards! | 那我就会吊销你们俩的律师资格 |
[21:52] | Do you understand me? | 听清楚了吗? |
[21:55] | Do you understand me,counsel? | 听清楚了吗? 律师 |
[21:59] | We understand. | 清楚了 |
[22:04] | I just think we need an alternative version to suicide. | 我只是认为我们需要选择一种自杀的说法 |
[22:08] | The idea that she killed herself with cyanide. . . | 但是服用氰化物自杀这个说法… |
[22:13] | Look. I assembled a mock jury. | 听着 我组织了一次模拟陪审团 |
[22:16] | I presented the defense side only- | 辩护方只有我出庭 |
[22:18] | none of the prosecution’s evidence-and,still, | 检控方都没上证据 |
[22:22] | none of them would swallow suicide. | 但陪审团还是无法接受自杀的说法 |
[22:25] | Wha-what do you mean a mock jury? | 你 你说的模拟陪审团是什么? |
[22:26] | I wanted to test our defense | 我想测试一下我们的辩诉意见 |
[22:28] | because I am very nervous about it. | 因为我对此没有底 |
[22:33] | And as I said,I only gave them our version,and still . . . | 就像我说的那样 我就光给他们提供了 我们的辩诉意见 但… |
[22:35] | No,you didn’t give them our version,Ellenor. | 不 你给他们的不算是我们的辩诉意见 Ellenor |
[22:38] | I am the defense version. | 里面没有我 |
[22:41] | Your little mock jury didn’t hear from me. | 你的那个小模型陪审团还没听我的陈述 |
[22:43] | Brad . . . | |
[22:44] | My wife was a very bad woman. | 我妻子是个恶毒的女人 |
[22:47] | She had an affair. | 她给我戴绿帽子 |
[22:49] | She wanted to leave me,Ellenor- destroy our family. | 她想离开我 毁了我的家庭 |
[22:52] | I’m sure she was wracked with guilt over that. Don’t you? | 我肯定她在经受着良心的煎熬 你觉得呢? |
[22:57] | Ask Emma. | 问问Emma吧 |
[22:59] | Molly seemed very sad. | Molly 看上去很绝望 |
[23:03] | She committed suicide. | 只能用自杀解脱自己 |
[23:11] | You kissed her as she described. | 你就如她所讲的那样吻了她? |
[23:14] | Well,I didn’t totally surprise her. | 我也不是完全趁她不备 |
[23:17] | I gave her a chance to see me coming. | 我给过机会让她注意到我来了 |
[23:19] | I wanted her to see me first. | 我想让她先看到我 |
[23:21] | Why is that? | 为什么要那样? |
[23:22] | Cause I wanted her to know who was kissing her. | 因为我想让她知道是谁在吻她 |
[23:24] | Can you tell us why? | 能告诉我们为什么吗? |
[23:26] | Well,the day before,I’m sittin’ on Columbus,had my little girl with me- | 那天之前 我坐在哥伦布街上 和我的女儿一起 |
[23:31] | 6 years old. | 她只有6岁 |
[23:32] | What were you doing on Columbus Street? | 那时你在哥伦布街做什么呢? |
[23:35] | Beggin’. Soliciting for money. | 乞讨 向路人要钱 |
[23:37] | Soliciting for money. | |
[23:38] | I work here and there,where I can, | 我打散工度日 |
[23:40] | but when I don’t have enough money for food, | 但当我没钱买食物时 |
[23:43] | I’m not above asking people for help. | 我不是那种不屑于求人帮忙的人 |
[23:45] | That’s what I was doing this day. | 我那天正是如此 |
[23:47] | And she walks by. | 然后她走过来了 |
[23:49] | She being . . .? | 她是? |
[23:50] | The girl I went on to kiss. | 我当时吻的那个女孩 |
[23:52] | She walks by,I ask for help, | 她走了过来 我向她求助 |
[23:54] | and she made a remark about me being disgusting,about me smelling | 她却说我恶心 说我一身臭味 |
[24:00] | You said that! | 你就是那么说的! |
[24:01] | Right in front of my daughter. | 就当着我女儿的面 |
[24:03] | And then you mumbled some other things as you walked away. | 你走的时候嘴里还咕哝说着其他话 |
[24:10] | Things I would never repeat. | 那些话我再也不想提 |
[24:12] | But my daughter heard it. | 但我女儿听见了 |
[24:16] | Then what happened? | 接着怎么了? |
[24:18] | I watched her walk into her building. | 我看见她进楼了 |
[24:23] | And I turned to my baby,and she was crying. | 然后我抱我的孩子 她却哭了 |
[24:25] | Why was she crying? | 她为什么哭了? |
[24:28] | ‘Cause of what she heard. | 因为她听见那些话了 |
[24:32] | I haven’t been able to give my daughter much. | 我是没能给我女儿很多 |
[24:37] | But I did give her her the right to respect her dad. | 但我给了她尊重爸爸的权利 |
[24:41] | And maybe even on the odd day admire. | 也许还有一点点敬佩之心 |
[24:46] | You took that from her | 而你却从她那夺走了 |
[24:50] | Mr. Markham, | Markham先生 |
[24:53] | why kiss this woman? | 你为什么吻她? |
[24:55] | Because I wanted to embarrass her the way she embarrassed me. | 因为我想让她难堪 就像她那么对我一样 |
[25:01] | I walked my smelly ass into her office, | 我带着我的体臭进了她的办公室 |
[25:06] | I walked my disgusting self right up to her, | 我恶心的身体走到她跟前 |
[25:08] | and I kissed her to humiliate her | 我亲她来羞辱她 |
[25:11] | Make you feel the way I felt! | 就要让你感觉到我的感受 |
[25:17] | The way I still feel. | 让你知道我现在的感受 |
[25:20] | Sitting in a courtroom,listening to you tell this judge and everybody | 在我坐在法庭上听你对法官和大家说 |
[25:25] | that it took you three showers to get the smell off of you. | 说你洗了三次澡 才洗掉身上那些臭味的感受! |
[25:41] | Murder two? | 二级谋杀? |
[25:42] | It allows for the possibility of parole. | 判二级谋杀的话有可能允许假释 |
[25:45] | We think you should take it. | 我们认为你应该接受 |
[25:47] | What would my sentence be? | 那判决会怎样? |
[25:52] | Life. But again, with murder one . . . | 终身监禁 但是就如我所说 如果是一级谋杀…… |
[25:53] | -Forget it. -Aisha . . . | – 别再说了 |
[25:54] | -Aisha Crenshaw -I said,forget it. | – 我说了 别再提了 |
[25:55] | I heard what you said. | 我听见了 |
[25:57] | Listen to me,please. | 请听我说 |
[26:00] | We have nothing. | 我们无能为力了 |
[26:02] | Our only hope-If you caneven call it a hope-is for a hung verdict. | 我们唯一的希望 如果还能算是希望的话 就是陪审团达不成一致裁决 |
[26:06] | Our only chance to get that | 而要做到这点的唯一办法 |
[26:08] | is to convince a juror to say,”To hell withthe law.” | 就是说服其中一个陪审员说 “让法律见鬼去吧” |
[26:10] | Good. Get one to say that. | 很好 那去说服一个吧 |
[26:12] | If they come back guilty-which truthfully,how could they not? | 如果他们判决有罪 那非常可能 为什么不呢 |
[26:16] | you get life,no parole. | 你会被判终身监禁 不得假释 |
[26:19] | There’s no point in being a martyr. | 没必要这么牺牲自己 |
[26:24] | I know you care. | 我理解你在意此事 |
[26:27] | You care because we’re all on the same side. | 你在意是因为我们是站在同一边的 |
[26:31] | Problemis: with too many voices,you get noise. | 问题是 人多嘴更杂 |
[26:34] | So let’s speak with one voice. | 那还不如大家异口同声 |
[26:37] | And since I’m the client, | 既然我是委托人 |
[26:38] | since I’m theone who’s going to be sittin’ in that prison cell, | 蹲监狱的也是我 |
[26:42] | let’s let the voice be mine. | 那现在我说了算 |
[26:50] | Jimmy, | |
[26:50] | I want you to look those jurorsin the eye | 我要你看着陪审团员们的眼睛 |
[26:54] | and tell them that the law is wrong. | 告诉他们法律错了 |
[26:59] | Marcus Thayer had it coming. | Marcus Thayer罪有应得 |
[27:02] | The law is wrong. | 法律错了 |
[27:12] | Debbie. Hello. | Debbie 你好 |
[27:13] | You’re dishonest,you know. | 你不老实 |
[27:15] | Dressing him up like that in a suit! | 让他一本正经穿着西装! |
[27:17] | That is not what accosted me,and you know it. | 那不会让我对他有好感的 你很清楚 |
[27:19] | Debbie,this case was assigned to me. | Debbie 这案子是指派给我的 |
[27:22] | Certainly you know that. | 这你肯定知道的 |
[27:25] | Do you think I like defending these kinds of people? | 你以为我喜欢给这些人做辩护? |
[27:29] | You know this isn’t technically relevant to the case, | 虽然和案子无关 |
[27:32] | but I touched myself with you in mind last night. | 但昨晚我抚摸自己的时候在想着你(- -b) |
[27:38] | Your hair was very different,but anyway . . | 你的头发是那么…与众不同 |
[27:42] | Just between you and me | 不管怎样 我就实话给你说了吧 |
[27:45] | it turns out Mr. Markham has a homeowner’s insurance policy- | 实际上 Markham先生有屋主保险 |
[27:50] | cheap,but not totally worthless. | 不值钱 但也不是完全没价值 |
[27:52] | If you were to,say,sue him civilly,you might get,say,$10,000 | 如果你提起民事诉讼的话 可能就会得到大概1万美元 |
[27:58] | I would? | 我能么? |
[28:00] | The policy covers defamation of character. | 那张保单涵盖了诽谤的赔偿 |
[28:02] | For you to allege his kissing you defamed you- | 你可以声称他的强吻损了你的名誉 |
[28:06] | perhaps people thought you were a couple | 那使得人们会误认为你们是一对 |
[28:09] | the claim would be colorable with the assistance of a good attorney,which I am. | 再找位律师来让你的诉求生动些 例如我 |
[28:14] | Of course,I would need you to drop the criminal complaint. | 当然 我需要你放弃刑事起诉 |
[28:17] | We’d wanna throw Randy a bone,wouldn’t we? | 我们总得给Randy一点甜头 不是吗? |
[28:21] | I bet you could use $10,000? | 我打赌你知道怎么花那1万美元 |
[28:25] | Think of the shopping,Debbie? | 去逛逛商场什么的 Debbie |
[28:29] | Isn’t that like an illegal bribe? | 这是不是非法行贿? |
[28:30] | Which means this would have to be our little secret. | 这意味着我们得保守这个小秘密 |
[28:41] | It’s all in the wording,Jimmy. | 关键就在词语表达上了 Jimmy |
[28:43] | You word it right,he can’t shut you down. | 你用词恰当 他就不能打断你 |
[28:44] | But if you’re not disciplined with every word . . . | 但如果你不字斟句酌… |
[28:46] | Okay. | 好的 |
[28:47] | All we need is one juror. | 我们所需要的就是其中一个陪审员 |
[28:49] | One juror buys us a hung jury. With that,we get a new trial, | 一位能够使判决陷入僵局的陪审员 那样我们就能从新审判 |
[28:53] | that’s all we can hope for at this point. | 那就是我们现在唯一能指望的了 |
[28:54] | And what if he does shut me down? | 那如果他打断我怎么办? |
[28:57] | Well,if you word it right,he can’t-without handing us a new trial. | 那个 如果你措辞得当 他无计可施的 除非给我们重新审判的机会 |
[29:00] | And if he does that, | 如果他那么做了 |
[29:03] | great. | 那就最好了 |
[29:08] | Hello. | 你好 |
[29:10] | What’s this embezzling thing? | 挪用公款是什么回事? |
[29:12] | Thank you for asking. | 谢谢你的关心 |
[29:13] | It was sort of a half-Robin Hood kind of thing. | 那应该算半个罗宾汉之类的事 |
[29:16] | I took from the rich. | 我是在劫富 |
[29:19] | And who’d you give to? | 那你给谁济贫了? |
[29:20] | I kept it. | 我自己 |
[29:22] | Thus,the half-Robin. | 所以只算半个罗宾汉 |
[29:24] | I’ve disappointed you. | 我让你失望了吧 |
[29:26] | What’s this about bringin’ a hooker to a client’s wedding? | 那带着妓女参加委托人的婚礼又怎么说? |
[29:30] | The invitation said “significant other.” I assure you,she was extremely significant. | 邀请函上说“出众的另一半” 我向你保证 她绝对出众 |
[29:45] | It doesn’t even matter whether the judge allows cameras in the courtroom or not. | 不管法官是否允许传媒进入法庭 |
[29:51] | You’re already in that room. | 你们其实都已经在那个房间里了 |
[29:54] | More importantly,and alarmingly | 最令人关注和担忧的是 |
[29:56] | you’re in the jury room. | 你们身处陪审团房间里 |
[29:59] | Every article being written about Brad Stanfield presupposes his guilt | 每篇文章都在假设Brad Stanfield有罪 |
[30:05] | He’s the horrible husband who murdered his pregnant wife. | 说他是个谋杀怀孕妻子的恶魔丈夫 |
[30:09] | Amazing! | 简直无法想像! |
[30:10] | That you can all know that without being privy to the facts. | 在保密的情况下你们都能了解整件事情 |
[30:15] | The prosecution has guarded this case tightly. | 检方对这案子守口如瓶 |
[30:19] | We don’t even know the evidence. | 我们甚至不知道证据是什么 |
[30:20] | And yet,with the media,the world,and possibly the potential jury pool, | 然而 在媒体的影响下 在全社会和潜在陪审员们的眼里 |
[30:25] | he already stands guilty. | 他已经是罪人了 |
[30:29] | Get this: | 我要说的是 |
[30:30] | Molly Stanfield took her own life. | 是Molly Stanfield自己结束了自己的生命 |
[30:34] | And when the facts finally and appropriately come out in trial, | 当审判结束 真相大白时 |
[30:40] | you will all know what I know now. | 你们就会知道我现在所知道的 |
[30:44] | My client is innocent. | 我的委托人是无辜的 |
[30:56] | Okay. | 好了 |
[30:58] | Chanel. | 香奈儿啊(香水) |
[30:59] | We can make this very simple. | 我们可以让事情变得很简单 |
[31:01] | Randy will agree not to contest the claim,which he has to do as the policy holder. | Randy接受你的要求 作为保单受益者 他必须这样做 |
[31:06] | He’ll also waive the conflict,so I can help you,Debra. | 他也同意接受我作为你的律师带来的利益冲突 |
[31:08] | You agree to drop the criminal complaint, | 而你同意撤消刑事指控 |
[31:11] | and we all agree to keep this agreement completely private. | 我们也都同意完全私下达成协议 |
[31:16] | And what if the insurance won’t pay? | 那如果保险公司不理赔呢? |
[31:18] | They will. | 他们会的 |
[31:19] | It’s a lot less than the cost of litigation. | 那可比起诉划算多了 |
[31:21] | I also know the claims adjuster | 我也认识个理赔人员 |
[31:23] | He’s a friend. A giver. | 他是我朋友 出手阔卓 |
[31:25] | Corrupt. | 腐败分子 |
[31:28] | The only thing left,then,would be the apology. | 那么只剩下一件事了 道歉 |
[31:31] | We would like it to be both oral and written. | 以口头和书面两种形式 |
[31:38] | Wait! You want me to apologize? | 等下 你要让我道歉? |
[31:40] | In person,now. | 口头上 就现在 |
[31:42] | And in writing,so his daughter can read it when she’s older. | 然后写下来 让他女儿长大后能看到 |
[31:48] | Why would I ever apologize to him? | 为什么非让我给他道歉? |
[31:55] | Because you offended his dignity,Debbie. | 因为你侵犯了他的尊严 Debbie |
[31:59] | You were disrespectful to an honorable man and his daughter. | 你羞辱了一个大男人还有他的女儿 |
[32:03] | You demeaned his character. | 你还诽谤了他的人格 |
[32:06] | What you did was wrong. | 你所做的是错的 |
[32:14] | Those are the conditions | 那是协议条款的一部分 |
[32:16] | Non-negotiable. | 没有商量余地 |
[32:23] | I believe quite strongly in law and order. | 我非常信仰法律与秩序 |
[32:28] | We are a nation of laws, | 我们是崇尚法律的国家 |
[32:30] | and it would be wrong for me or any lawyer to say | 对我或者任何一位律师而言 |
[32:34] | it’s okay for one person to take the law into her own hands. | 认可她罔顾法律的行为都是错误的 |
[32:38] | So I won’t argue that. | 所以我不会去争辩什么 |
[32:40] | Even if children were dying in front of her,as was the case with my client. | 即使孩子们死在她面前 正如发生在我委托人身上的一样 |
[32:46] | Even if she had to witness teenage drug addiction,gunfire, | 即使她曾亲眼目睹那些少年吸毒 持枪 |
[32:51] | sometimes the killing of innocent people, | 甚至经常滥杀无辜 |
[32:54] | such as her own two-year-old daughter. | 如她那年仅两岁的女儿所遭遇的那样 |
[32:57] | As I said,it would be wrong for me, | 正如我刚才所讲 对我 |
[32:59] | as an officer of the court, | 一位身处法庭参与审判的律师而言 |
[33:01] | to argue that she be allowed to take the law into her own hands. | 赞成她罔顾法律所作的行为 是错的 |
[33:06] | So I won’t argue that. | 所以我不会为此辩护 |
[33:08] | I won’t argue self-defense or defense of others. | 不会去辩护什么“正当防卫”或者“防卫他人” |
[33:12] | But you all heard what was in her mind. | 但你们都知道她内心所想 |
[33:16] | It is within the power of this jury to vote your conscience | 表决自己的良知是陪审团的权力 |
[33:21] | and I would implore you to dig into your conscience today. | 今天我恳请你们都审问一下自己的道义良心 |
[33:26] | Mr. Berluti . . . | Berluti先生…… |
[33:27] | Martin Luther King,Jr. said, | 马丁・路德・金曾经说过 |
[33:30] | “When confronted with an unjust law, | “当面临着法律的不公” |
[33:32] | the moral and ethical thing to do is to break that law.” | “道德与正义所会做的是推翻那个法律” |
[33:37] | He said that. | 他说过这句话 |
[33:38] | It would be wrong for me to say it. | 但是我再说的话就是错的了 |
[33:40] | Counsel . . . | 律师… |
[33:41] | My client had no right to take the law into her own hands. | 我的委托人无权以私力践行法律 |
[33:46] | Of course not. | 那毫无疑问 |
[33:47] | It is totally irrelevant | 这和警方不尽力保护她所在的街区 |
[33:49] | that the police weren’t protecting her neighborhood. | 完全没有关系 |
[33:52] | Also irrelevant that the conviction rate for drug arrests in Boston is below ten percent. | 更与在波士顿的涉毒定罪率低于10%毫无干系 |
[33:59] | Below ten percent! | 10%都不到! |
[34:02] | Put that out of your minds. | 别再想那些了 |
[34:04] | Drug use is going up, | 吸毒人数在上升 |
[34:06] | while drug arrests are going down. | 涉毒批捕率却直线下降 |
[34:09] | It’s out of control. | 已经失控了 |
[34:12] | But it has no relevance here. | 但这和本案毫无关联 |
[34:15] | What are we as parents supposed to do? | 那我们做家长的该怎么办? |
[34:20] | That’s a rhetorical question,of course. | 这是反问句 当然 |
[34:22] | Not an issue for today. | 和今天的主题无关 |
[34:24] | Mr. Berluti . . . | Berluti先生…… |
[34:25] | As a matter of law, | 从法律上来说 |
[34:28] | Aisha Crenshaw should have waited for the police to respond | Aisha Crenshaw应该坐等警方作出反应 |
[34:32] | even though they weren’t responding. | 哪怕警方从未有过反应 |
[34:34] | She should have let the children become drug addicts or drug dealers. | 她应该让孩子们成为瘾君子或贩卖毒品 |
[34:38] | She should have let them continue to die. | 她应该放任孩子们走向毁灭 |
[34:41] | She should have done nothing,and let all this happen | 她应该熟视无睹 任其发生 |
[34:45] | because,after all,we are a nation of laws. | 这都因为 毕竟 我们是崇尚法律的国家 |
[35:03] | The law Mr. Berluti suggests you defy | Berluti先生提议你们藐视的 |
[35:07] | is the one against murder, | 是反对谋杀的法律 |
[35:11] | and what he’s asking you to embrace | 而他要求你们去拥抱的 |
[35:14] | is terrorism. | 其实就是恐怖主义 |
[35:16] | The defendant decided someone was not worthy of life, | 被告决定了别人的生命毫无意义 |
[35:18] | and so she acted to execute, | 然后她将他处死 |
[35:22] | and her lawyer now stands before you,mocking our allegiance to law and order. | 而她的律师现在却站在你们面前 讥笑我们遵守法律和秩序 |
[35:27] | There are many countries in the world who tolerate street justice | 世界上还有不少国家容许街头正义 |
[35:31] | you don’t like somebody,you just shoot them. | 你不喜欢他人 向他开枪就行了 |
[35:34] | There are places where this happens. | 有些地方是有这种情况 |
[35:37] | But this is America. | 但这里是美国 |
[35:39] | We don’t commit vigilantism. | 我们没有托付某人去维持治安 |
[35:42] | We don’t tolerate murder when the killer sees fit, | 我们不会容忍那些杀人犯以自己的标准去谋杀 |
[35:44] | no matter what his or her conscience. | 不管他或她有没有良心 |
[35:48] | And we certainly don’t embrace terrorism. | 我们当然不会拥抱恐怖主义 |
[35:53] | My heart goes out to Ms. Crenshaw for the loss of her child. | 对Crenshaw女士痛失爱子我也很难过 |
[35:58] | Could the police do a better job? | 警方能再尽职尽责些吗? |
[36:00] | Perhaps. | 也许能 |
[36:02] | If they had the resources,I’m sure they would. | 如果他们警力足够 我相信他们会的 |
[36:06] | But what’s the answer? | 但目前呢? |
[36:08] | For citizens to pull out guns and shoot the bad guys? | 把枪塞给公民让他们打死坏人么? |
[36:11] | Is that a country we want to live in? | 那就是我们想要生活着的国家么? |
[36:14] | Is it? | 是吗? |
[36:16] | I,too,believe a jury should reflect the conscience of America. | 我本身 也相信陪审员应该展现美国的良心 |
[36:31] | That is not in my conscience. | 那 不是我的良心 |
[36:34] | And I pray to God, | 我向上帝祈祷 |
[36:37] | for all our children, | 为我们的孩子们 |
[36:41] | it’s not in yours. | 那不是你们的良心 |
[36:59] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[37:01] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[37:02] | It’s just too phallic | 它太像小弟弟了 |
[37:04] | Do you mind? | 不介意吧? |
[37:07] | You know,I’ve heard of this faux flirtatiousness being used to cover the real thing. | 我听说这种伪饰的的轻浮其实是用来掩饰真实的情感 |
[37:11] | Are you attracted to me? | 你是喜欢我么? |
[37:11] | Are you looking for a slap? | 你想找揍是吧? |
[37:14] | Tara! Rather rough trade for a secretary. | Tara 作为秘书你这话粗了点 |
[37:18] | I’m a third-year law student and a paralegal, | 我是法学三年级学生和律师助手 |
[37:20] | not a secretary. | 不是秘书 |
[37:22] | this is the agreement that you had me type up? | 这份协议书是你让我打的吧? |
[37:24] | Tantamount to insurance fraud. | 简直是保险欺诈 |
[37:27] | Is that wrong? | 有问题么? |
[37:30] | Hasere’s the advice . | 给你一个建议 |
[37:32] | You might mock the law and get away with it, | 可能你能玩弄法律蒙混过关 |
[37:34] | but don’t make sport of me. | 但可别把我当白痴 |
[37:37] | Are we clear,Al? | 清楚了吗 Alan? |
[37:41] | So,you are attracted to me. | 那么 你的确喜欢我 |
[37:48] | Mr. Markham! | Markham先生 |
[37:50] | I-I don’t want to take up much of your time. | 我 我不想占用你很长时间 |
[37:55] | I’m not a good talker,but . . . | 我不太会说话 但…… |
[37:57] | In my life, | 在我的生活中 |
[38:00] | I never had anybody recognize me as a person of dignity. | 从没有人认为我是一个有尊严的人 |
[38:06] | Nobody ever called me honorable before. | 也从没有人尊敬我 |
[38:12] | And in keeping with the character that you accused me of having . . . | 而且有着令你一直诟病的形象…… |
[38:24] | Thank you,Mr. Shore. | 谢谢你 Shore先生 |
[38:42] | You think you’re clever,Counsel? | 你觉得你很聪明?律师 |
[38:44] | You think that closing was clever? | 你觉得那个结案陈词很巧妙吗? |
[38:46] | Hey,Judge,if you think I crossed the line,call a mistrial. | 嘿 法官阁下 如果你认为我过分了 判无效好了 |
[38:50] | in fact,you might have a duty to . . . | 事实上 你也有义务…… |
[38:51] | You’d like that,wouldn’t you? Get a new trial. | 那就是你的目的 是不是?重新审判 |
[38:54] | Is that what’s going on-you want a mistrial? | 这是你想要的 一场无效审判? |
[38:56] | I’m just interested in us all doing the right thing. | 我只是在做正确的事情 |
[38:58] | Now you listen to me,you . . . | 现在给我听着 你…… |
[39:00] | Hey! You told me what I couldn’t argue. | 嗨 是你告诉我不能怎么怎么辩护的 |
[39:02] | I stood up there and expressly didn’t argue it. | 我在那儿也的确没那样辩护 |
[39:06] | You got any problem with me now,then it must be personal. | 现在你要找我的麻烦 那一定是出于私人目的 |
[39:09] | I take my courtroom very personal. And if . . . | 这是在我法庭 如果…… |
[39:11] | If I crossed the line,call a mistrial. | 如果我过分了 直接判无效好了 |
[39:14] | All right. | 好了 |
[39:17] | Jury’s back. | 陪审团回来了 |
[39:33] | Mr. Foreman. | 陪审团主席 |
[39:35] | Am I to understand you have reached a unanimous verdict in twenty minutes? | 据我所知你们用了不到20分钟就得出一致的裁决 |
[39:38] | Yes,your Honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[39:44] | Okay. What say you? | 好的 判决是什么? |
[39:47] | In the matter of the Commonwealth vs Aisha Crenshaw, | 马萨诸塞州诉Aisha Crenshaw一案 |
[39:51] | on the charge of murder in the first degree, | 一级谋杀的指控 |
[39:54] | we find the defendant,Aisha Crenshaw, | 我们裁决被告Aisha Crenshaw |
[39:58] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[40:04] | Not guilty? | 无罪? |
[40:05] | As in straight not guilty? | 就这么直接判无罪了? |
[40:15] | Obviously,there’s no accounting for it. | 很显然 没有人想到 |
[40:17] | This jury simply made a decision to let a guilty person go free. | 陪审团很轻易地作出让有罪之人获得自由的决定 |
[40:21] | Clearly,Mr. Berluti’s endorsement of civil disobedience registered. | 毫无疑问 Berluti先生所做的让法律形同虚设 |
[40:26] | Not my version of justice,Paul. | 这不是我所想的那种正义 Paul |
[40:28] | I’m being informed Ms. Crenshaw is about to make a statement. | 我刚刚被告知Crenshaw女士将发表一项声明 |
[40:32] | Am I surprised? | 我感到惊讶吗? |
[40:34] | Yes. | 是的 |
[40:35] | But I’m also heartened. | 但我也很受鼓舞 |
[40:38] | The jury sent a message not just to me or the police, | 陪审团不仅仅向我或警方传达了信息 |
[40:42] | but to all of us. | 同时也告诉我们所有人 |
[40:44] | We need to take back our streets. | 我们得夺回我们的街区 |
[40:47] | The Second Amendment gives us the right to bear arms to defend our homes,our streets. | 宪法第二修正案赋予我们携带武器的权力 去保卫我们的家园 我们的街区 |
[40:52] | It’s time that the good people start exercising that right to defend our children. | 是时候让善良的人民开始行使权利保护我们的孩子了 |
[40:58] | We,the people,need to rise up. | 我们 全体人民得站起来 |
[41:02] | We need to put these dealers down before they take any more of our children | 我们得在更多的孩子受毒害之前把毒品交易遏制下来 |
[41:07] | And it’s not just in Boston-all over you hear about tax cuts. | 不仅仅是在波士顿 而是所有实行减税计划的地方 |
[41:11] | Well,it’s service cuts. | 那个 是对公共服务的削减 |
[41:13] | And it’s the poor neighborhoods suffering these service cuts across this country. | 而这个国家里的贫穷街区却要为其买单 |
[41:19] | We need to rise up and do a job. | 我们得站起来 做我们应该做的事 |