时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Previously on the Practice | 《律师本色》前集提要 |
[00:02] | To the world and to the potential jury pool, | 在大众和那些潜在陪审员看来 |
[00:04] | you are the man who murdered his pregnant wife and unborn son. | 你就是那个谋杀了自己怀孕的妻子和未出世孩子的人 |
[00:09] | I need you to start demonstrating the zeal that comes with defending an innocent man. | 我需要你拿出自己的热情来保护一个无辜的人 |
[00:14] | Daddy! | 爸爸 |
[00:15] | Hey,baby! | 嘿 宝贝 |
[00:16] | Your client murdered my sister,Ms. Frutt. | 你的委托人谋杀了我妹妹 Frutt女士 |
[00:19] | I won’t be cooperating much with his defense. | 我绝不会配合你为他辩护 |
[00:21] | Do you think your mom killed herself? | 你认为你妈妈是自杀的么? |
[00:24] | I know my dad didn’t kill her. | 我知道我爸爸没有杀她 |
[00:25] | He loved her. | 他很爱她 |
[00:27] | so I think she must have committed suicide. | 所以我觉得她一定是自杀的 |
[00:30] | Alan, What’s up? | Alan 你怎么来了? |
[00:31] | Something came up at Carruthers I left | Carruthers那边出了些事 我离开那了 |
[00:35] | Now I’m looking for new employment. | 现在我想找个新东家 |
[00:37] | What exactly came up at Carruthers,Alan? | Carruthers那边究竟出什么事了 Alan? |
[00:39] | I embezzled. Allegedly. | 因为我贪污 据说是 |
[00:40] | Alan | |
[00:41] | I’m going through an enormous character growth. | 我刚刚经历了一次人生的波澜 |
[00:43] | Just the same. | 彼此彼此 |
[00:44] | And I need a break. | 我得好好歇歇了 |
[00:46] | this is the agreement that you had me type up? | 这份协议书是你让我打的吧? |
[00:48] | Tantamount to insurance fraud. | 简直是保险欺诈 |
[00:49] | Is that wrong? | 有问题么? |
[00:54] | Why are we whispering? | 我们为什么这么小声说话? |
[00:57] | She has a headache. | 她头痛 |
[00:58] | She? | 她? |
[01:00] | God. | 上帝 |
[01:01] | She gets headaches? | 上帝头痛? |
[01:02] | And cramps. | 还有痛经 |
[01:03] | Explains a lot, don’t you think? | 这足以解释很多东西了 不是吗? |
[01:07] | Sheila? | |
[01:07] | Alan? | |
[01:10] | Sheila? | |
[01:12] | Alan? | |
[01:13] | I want you to allow me to settle this case. | 这案子你得让我去调解 |
[01:16] | No. | 不行 |
[01:17] | Sheila? | |
[01:18] | Alan? | |
[01:20] | Assuming you do hear God’s thoughts, | 就算你真的聆听到上帝的想法 |
[01:22] | persuading a jury of that reality | 要让陪审团相信这样的事实…… |
[01:27] | will be difficult for me. | ……对我来说难了点 |
[01:30] | I win my cases. | 我打赢的官司…… |
[01:32] | I had the highest winning percentage of any litigator in my firm. | ……比所里任何一位诉讼律师的都要多 |
[01:35] | They had no right to fire me. | 他们无权解雇我 |
[01:39] | Sometimes we need to forgive those who trespass against us. | 有时我们要原谅那些对我们做错事的人 |
[01:44] | Not. | 不行 |
[02:19] | The practice S802 | |
[02:30] | We’re on Day 3 of Bradley Stanfield’s double murder trial. | 这是Bradley Stanfield双重谋杀案件的第三天 |
[02:33] | It’s not known when the prosecution is going to rest. | 目前此案起诉方仍未结束发言 |
[02:35] | Sources say . . . | 有消息称…… |
[02:37] | Hey, damn it! | 嗨 该死的! |
[02:40] | Cause of death: cyanide poisoning. | 死因是氰化物中毒 |
[02:42] | And the cyanide entered Mrs. Stanfield’s system how, Doctor? | 氰化物是如何进入Stanfield女士体内的 医生? |
[02:46] | Ingestion. | 食用所致 |
[02:47] | Traces found in coffee. | 在咖啡中发现了一些 |
[02:49] | Now, Doctor, are you aware that a suicide note was found? | 你认为这算是自杀的线索么? |
[02:52] | Ridiculous. | 太荒唐了 |
[02:53] | I’m sorry? | 什么? |
[02:54] | Cyanide poisoning. | 氰化物中毒 |
[02:56] | Violent death. | 相当暴力的死法 |
[02:57] | Nobody commit suicide that way. | 没有人会以这种方式自杀 |
[03:00] | Doctor, did the cyanide come in liquid or solid form? | 医生 氰化物是以液体还是固体的形式存在? |
[03:04] | Powder. | 粉末状 |
[03:05] | Powder. | 粉末状 |
[03:06] | So one way for it to have gotten into the coffee | 那么在咖啡里发现氰化物的一种可能性 |
[03:08] | would be for somebody to simply pour it into her cup. | 就是有人放进杯子的 |
[03:11] | Right, Doctor? | 是这样吗医生? |
[03:12] | Yes. | 是的 |
[03:13] | And another way, somebody could have put it into the coffee grounds. | 还有一种可能就是有人把氰化物混在咖啡渣子里 |
[03:16] | Isn’t that correct, Doctor? | 对吗医生? |
[03:17] | Could happen. | 有可能 |
[03:18] | So the poison could have been put into the coffee long before | 那么氰化物很可能是以前就被投入咖啡里了 |
[03:23] | perhaps days before it was bought and consumed by the victim. | 有可能是好几天前 由死者自己买的 |
[03:27] | Isn’t that right, Doctor? | 对吗 医生 |
[03:28] | Could happen. | 有可能 |
[03:29] | Doctor, what can you tell me about Molly Stanfield’s personality? | 医生 请你告诉我Molly Stanfield为人如何? |
[03:34] | Nothing. | 无可奉告 |
[03:35] | Not psychologist. | 不是心理学家 |
[03:37] | Well, Doctor, suicide goes very much to the psychology of the victim. | 但是医生 自杀很大程度上和被害人的心理有关 |
[03:41] | You’re up here trying to rule out suicide | 你在这里试图排除自杀的可能性 |
[03:44] | and you know nothing about Molly Stanfield. | 但却对Molly Stanfield的为人一无所知 |
[03:47] | You can’t rule out suicide, can you, Doctor? | 你还是排除不了自杀的可能性 是吧医生? |
[03:53] | The cause of action is wrongful termination under the state’s Employment Practices Act. | 根据国家就业实践法这个是不法解雇 |
[03:56] | We already filed to the MCAD to no avail. | 我们已经向MCAD提出诉讼无效的请求 (MACD:马萨诸塞州反歧视委员会) |
[03:59] | When were you fired? | 你什么时候被解雇的? |
[04:01] | June. | 六月 |
[04:02] | We have a settlement conference scheduled for 11 o’clock. | 十一点我们有个调解会议 |
[04:04] | Failing settlement . . . | 万一不能调解…… |
[04:05] | Excuse me. Can I just stop you for a sec? | ―对不起 能打断你一下吗? |
[04:07] | Surely. | ―当然 |
[04:08] | Jimmy, I don’t mind your looking at me; | Jimmy 我不介意你看着我 |
[04:10] | in fact, I’m even flattered. | 事实上 我很受宠若惊 |
[04:12] | But would you mind keeping each stare to 8 seconds total in duration? | 但是你每次盯着我看的时间不要超过8秒行吗? |
[04:16] | Anything longer than that is just an invasion of my privacy. | 超过8秒我会觉得你在侵犯我的隐私 |
[04:21] | Eight seconds or less, Jimmy. Okay? | 8秒为止 Jimmy 可以吗 |
[04:25] | Sure. | 当然 |
[04:27] | Now, if we don’t settle, | 现在 如果我们调解不了 |
[04:29] | I’d like to have you second-chair the trial. | 在审判时我想让你当我的副手 |
[04:31] | Your plain folks style could be an asset. | 你忠厚老实的外表就是我们的优势 |
[04:33] | A lot of jurors today relate to the phonetically-challenged. | 当今的很多陪审员都有发音障碍 |
[04:38] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[04:39] | I mean that as a compliment, Jimmy. | 我那是一种赞美 Jimmy |
[04:41] | You’re the Every Man. | 你很“大众” |
[04:43] | I’m not a simple person. | 我没那么肤浅 |
[04:45] | I’m very deep. | 我很有深度的 |
[04:46] | Yes. | 对啊 |
[04:48] | And what I’d be looking for is for you to go to your depths, | 我想要你做的 就是张扬你的深度 |
[04:52] | and say to the jury, Not fair. | 对着陪审团说 “不公平” |
[04:58] | Can you do that? | 你能做到吗? |
[05:02] | One, two, three. | 1秒 2秒 3秒 |
[05:06] | A drug overdose is one thing. But cyanide? | 药物过量是一回事 但氰化物就…… |
[05:09] | Why not? It’s quick. | 为什么不?它起效很快 |
[05:11] | And violent. | 但很剧烈 |
[05:12] | There are headaches, vomiting, possible suffocation. | 还会头痛 呕吐 甚至可能窒息 |
[05:14] | It’s an ugly death | 很丑陋的死法 |
[05:16] | It’s not possible Molly Stanfield wanted to die ugly? | 有没有可能Molly Stanfield就想丑陋地死去? |
[05:18] | I suppose it’s possible, but as I said, I’ve never seen it. | 我想也有可能 但正如我说过 从没见过这样的 |
[05:22] | Also, the note. | 还有就是遗书 |
[05:23] | When people leave notes, | 当一个人要留下遗书 |
[05:25] | typically it’s to provide explanation or to say goodbye. | 通常会有解释或者是告别之类的话 |
[05:28] | Here we have, I do not choose to live typed, unsigned. | 这里遗书上写“我不想活了” 打印的 没签名 |
[05:34] | You think the note was a fake. | 你认为遗书是伪造的? |
[05:36] | Yes, | 是的 |
[05:36] | scripted by somebody who wanted us to think it was a suicide. | 某人伪造了遗书 让我们认为这是一起自杀事件 |
[05:41] | Sounds like whoever did this was pretty sloppy. | 这么做听起来很草率 |
[05:44] | Certainly unconvincing. | 当然不令人信服 |
[05:45] | Or maybe very clever. | 或是手段很高明 |
[05:47] | Maybe the victim made it look like a phony suicide, | 也许是被害人自己导演的一场假自杀 |
[05:51] | hoping the police would suspect her husband of murder. | 好让警方怀疑是丈夫谋杀了她 |
[05:54] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么? |
[05:55] | This marriage was marked by a lot of anger, Doctor, if not hatred. | 这场婚姻有太多的愤怒 医生 就算不是仇恨 |
[06:00] | Isn’t it possible Molly Stanfield decided to check out, | 有没可能Molly Stanfield决定自我了结 |
[06:04] | and take her husband down in the process? | 并且也同时栽赃给她丈夫 |
[06:06] | Is that what you think happened? | 你就是这么认为的? |
[06:08] | Or somebody else killed her, | 或者是其他人杀害了她 |
[06:11] | knowing the police always look to the spouse. | 知道警方总是首先会调查配偶 |
[06:14] | Can you positively rule that out? | 你能够就这么主观地排除 |
[06:16] | That somebody else killed her? | 他人谋杀的可能性了? |
[06:19] | Let me put it this way: | 我这么说好了 |
[06:20] | Who besides my client did you investigate? | 除了我的委托人 你还调查过谁? |
[06:28] | You can’t be willing to take this to trial. | 你不能就这样诉诸法庭 |
[06:31] | Oh, but we can. | 哦 我们当然可以 |
[06:32] | She was terminated for a disability. That’s against the law. | 她因为心理障碍而被解雇 这不合法 |
[06:34] | She was terminated for not being able to fulfill the function of the job. | 她是因未能履行自己工作职责而被解雇的 |
[06:39] | One such function being client relations. | 这涉及到客户的利益 |
[06:42] | She claims God talks to her, for God’s sake! | 她声称上帝在和她说话 看在上帝份上! |
[06:45] | She claims bald men access her thoughts. | 她还声称光头男人想能够读她的思想 |
[06:48] | You seem upset. | 你看上去很不高兴 |
[06:49] | I am upset! | 我当然不高兴了 |
[06:50] | We’re wasting valuable time here. | 我们是在这里浪费宝贵的时间 |
[06:52] | How can you be willing to go forward with this? | 你认为事情会怎么发展? |
[06:55] | she will be publicly revealed as a loon. | 她会被公众当作疯子 |
[06:57] | Which you are, Sheila! | 你就是疯子 Sheila |
[06:59] | May I speak off the record? | 我可以说句私底下的话吗 |
[07:01] | As recently as five months ago, | 5个月前 |
[07:03] | you, Mr. Lambert, and my client had rather vigorous sexual relations. | 你 Lambert先生 和我的委托人有着非常亲密的关系 |
[07:07] | Do you recall that, Mr. Lambert? | 没忘记吧 Lambert先生? |
[07:10] | Do you, Sheila? | 你记得吗 Sheila? |
[07:11] | Vividly. | 难以忘怀 |
[07:12] | What is this? An extortion attempt? | 这算什么?想敲诈我吗? |
[07:14] | Oh, extortion is a very bad thing. | 噢 敲诈可不是什么好事 |
[07:16] | I would never . . . | 我从不会… |
[07:18] | However … | 但是嘛…… |
[07:21] | Umm, one of my favorite words, however. | 嗯…我最喜欢的小单词之一– 但是 |
[07:26] | Don’t you like that word? | 你喜欢这个小单词吗? |
[07:27] | Love it. | 我爱它 |
[07:28] | However. | 但是嘛…… |
[07:29] | I would have to introduce this carnal episode as an admission on Mr. Lambert’s part | 我也只好把这段肉欲的插曲作为Lambert先生证词的一部分 |
[07:34] | that he considered my client to be both competent and sane. | 以证明我的委托人既有行为能力又精神正常 |
[07:39] | How do you figure that? | 你怎么证明这点? |
[07:40] | Well, Mr. Ginsberg, certainly if he had relations with a person who, to his mind, | 那个 Ginsberg先生如果和一个 没有能力接受关系的人 |
[07:45] | lacked capacity to consent to said relations . . | 发生了性关系 |
[07:47] | What’s the word I’m looking for now? | 我想说什么词来着? |
[07:49] | Heavens? | 天堂? |
[07:50] | Rape. | 强奸 |
[07:51] | In Massachusetts, having sex with the incompetent . . . | 在麻省与无行为能力的人发生关系就是…… |
[07:54] | Was it heavens? | 是天堂吗 |
[07:55] | Rape. | 强奸 |
[07:57] | Right. | 没错 |
[08:00] | You’re now using the threat of a criminal trial | 你在用刑事案件的威胁 |
[08:03] | to advance a civil claim. Mr. Shore | 来获取民事补偿 Shore先生 |
[08:05] | that’s grounds for disbarment. | 你会因此被吊销律师资格的 |
[08:07] | I don’t believe I did that. | 我可没这么干 |
[08:09] | But why don’t you go report me? | 你怎么不去举报我? |
[08:11] | See how it all unfolds. | 看看结果到底会怎样 |
[08:18] | Two point six million dollars, gentlemen | 260万美元 先生们 |
[08:20] | that’s your out. | 这是你们的出路 |
[08:26] | I want to see my niece. | 我要见我的侄女 |
[08:27] | When the meeting is over, they will come out . . . | 会议结束后他们就会出来 |
[08:28] | I am that child’s guardian. | 我是那孩子的监护人 |
[08:30] | Actually, her father is still the legal guardian, | 实际上她父亲仍然有法定监护权 |
[08:33] | and it’s my understanding you want him convicted. | 而且我认为你很想让他被判有罪 |
[08:35] | If you interfere with our defense, what you’ll be doing, | 但如果你干涉我们的辩护 |
[08:38] | is giving him grounds for a new trial. | 你的所作所为将给他另一次庭审机会 |
[08:40] | I don’t think you want that. | 你一定不想这样吧 |
[08:44] | Now, please. | 好了 现在 |
[08:45] | Sit over there and wait, while I check on your niece. | 请坐到那边等着 我去看你的侄女 |
[08:54] | All right. | 好吧 |
[08:55] | First, this Shore guy is totally corrupt. | 首先 Alan这家伙不道德 |
[08:59] | Second, the client is nuts. | 其次 委托人是个疯子 |
[09:01] | She thinks God talks to her. | 她认为上帝在和她说话 |
[09:03] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[09:04] | She also thinks bald men access her thoughts. | 她还认为光头男人控制了她的思想 |
[09:07] | And if you stare at her more than 8 seconds, | 还有如果你盯着她超过8秒 |
[09:09] | you invade her privacy. | 你就侵犯了她的隐私 |
[09:11] | And Shore? | 还有那个Shore |
[09:12] | He just tried extorting the lawyer. | 他刚才企图敲诈对方律师 |
[09:14] | He’s a crook. | 他就是个骗子 |
[09:21] | Come on, honey. | ―到这里来宝贝 ―Christine |
[09:22] | Christine? | 听我说 |
[09:25] | Listen, I know you’re not sympathetic to our case, here. | 我知道你不认同我们的辩护 |
[09:29] | You’re using a ten-year-old girl as a trial prop. | 你们利用一个10岁的女孩作为审判工具 |
[09:33] | How could anyone be sympathetic to that? | 怎么会有人认同这个? |
[09:35] | If you try to interfere with Emma’s involvement, | 如果你试图干涉Emma出庭 |
[09:38] | we will assert our rights against you. | 我们一定会依法限制你 |
[09:45] | Come on, honey. | 到这里来宝贝 |
[09:54] | You calling the daughter? | 你准备让她女儿上庭? |
[09:56] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[09:57] | All she has to say is his mother seemed sad. | 她说的都是 她母亲好像很悲伤 |
[10:02] | We’re thinking about accusing Christine. | 我们在考虑指控Christine |
[10:04] | Her? The sister? | 她?那个姐姐? |
[10:05] | She has no alibi. | 她没有不在场证明 |
[10:06] | They didn’t get along. | 她们也和不来 |
[10:09] | Basically, we’ve got nothing else. | 除此之外我们一无所有 |
[10:10] | Ellenor! | |
[10:11] | I think I can sell it. | 我想这行得通 |
[10:14] | Are you out of your mind? | 你疯了吗? |
[10:16] | It’s called Plan B. | 这叫”B计划” |
[10:18] | We use it on occasion when Plan A is sure to fail. | 通常会在A计划无疑会失败的情况下才使用 |
[10:21] | What about Emma’s testimony? She’ll support suicide. | 那Emma的证词呢?她会说是自杀 |
[10:24] | None of us feel Emma will help us. | 我们都不认为Emma会帮我们 |
[10:26] | In fact, we think trying to exploit her further could even hurt. | 事实上 我们认为如果进一步用她后果会更糟 |
[10:34] | Well, my testimony . . . | 那我的证词…… |
[10:35] | And we don’t think you should testify, either. | 我们也觉得你最好不要作证 |
[10:36] | There’s too much to impeach you with. | 你的漏洞更多 |
[10:38] | Right now, your domestic assault isn’t in evidence. | 目前你的罪证还都没有证据 |
[10:42] | If you testify, Bradley, it comes into play. | 如果你自己指证 Bradley 证据就自己冒出来了 |
[10:45] | What is our defense? | 那我们怎么辩护? |
[10:47] | Reasonable doubt. | 合理怀疑 |
[10:49] | All we need to show is that it’s possible somebody else did it | 我们所要做的就是表明还可能是其他人干的 |
[10:54] | including possibly, your sister-in-law. | 可能还包括你姐姐 |
[11:01] | We know it’s desperate. | 我们知道这听起来很绝望 |
[11:02] | We’re not kidding ourselves. But it’s something, Bradley. | 但这不是在开玩笑 但这是个机会 Bradley |
[11:12] | We do not commit blackmail in this firm. | 这家事务所不会用敲诈手段 |
[11:14] | We do not resort to extortion or any other criminal offenses to settle our claims. | 这家事务所不会靠敲诈或是其他违法手段来调解案子 |
[11:19] | Eugene, I give you my word. | Eugene 我向你保证 |
[11:22] | I would never get caught. | 我永远不会被抓到的 |
[11:28] | I will report you to the bar myself. | 我会亲自向律师协会举报你 |
[11:44] | Jimmy, I brought you in on this case because I sensed a connection between us. | Jimmy 我让你参与这个案件是因为 我觉得我们之间有种联系 |
[11:49] | You brought me in because you think I’m simple. | 你和我一起是因为我很肤浅 |
[11:53] | Simple would be speaking directly with the person you have issues with, Jimmy. | 肤浅是表现在你直接面对别人的时候 Jimmy |
[11:58] | Going behind my back | 躲在我身后 |
[12:00] | that makes you complicated. | 会使你显得城府很深 |
[12:05] | You’re no longer invited to play on my team, Jimmy. | 你出局了 Jimmy |
[12:16] | My sister was a devout Catholic. | 我姐姐是一个虔诚的天主教徒 |
[12:19] | Suicide is considered against God. | 自杀是对上帝的亵渎 |
[12:22] | She also was not a woman to indulge in self-pity. | 她同样也不是一个自我怜悯的人 |
[12:25] | Nothing kept that woman down, no matter what the setback. | 不管经历怎样的挫折都不会让她放弃 |
[12:28] | Could she have privately been unhappy? | 她私下里会不开心吗? |
[12:31] | No. | 不会 |
[12:32] | If anything, she seemed happier lately. | 如果有什么……她最近看上去很高兴 |
[12:36] | She was in love. | 她恋爱了 |
[12:38] | In love with . . .? | 和谁? |
[12:39] | She had a boyfriend. | 她有了一个男朋友 |
[12:41] | I didn’t approve, | 我并不同意 |
[12:42] | but I was at least hopeful that it would get her out of her involvement with him. | 但我希望这至少能让她从和他的关系中解脱出来 |
[12:48] | Him? You observed your sister with him? | 他?你察觉到了你姐姐和他的关系? |
[12:51] | Yes. | 是的 |
[12:52] | It was increasingly more and more angry to the point | 我感觉他们的关系越来越紧张 |
[12:54] | that I felt that it was extremely unhealthy for Emma. | 这对Emma来说是极其有害的 |
[12:58] | Clearly it turned out to be unhealthy for Molly as well. | 很显然 对Molly也是很有害的 |
[13:02] | You said she was a devout Catholic. | 你说她是虔诚的天主教徒 |
[13:06] | Are you? | 那你是吗? |
[13:07] | Yes, I am. | 是的 我是 |
[13:09] | Is it possible, knowing how opposed you were to suicide, | 是否有可能 你姐姐知道你反对自杀 |
[13:12] | that your sister concealed her plans to take her life? | 所以她隐瞒了自杀的计划? |
[13:16] | This was not a suicide, | 这不是自杀 |
[13:18] | and I am finding this repulsive. | 我也很反感你这样说 |
[13:21] | You seem angry. | 你看上去很生气 |
[13:22] | I am. | 我是很生气 |
[13:23] | You and your sister often got angry with each other, didn’t you? | 你和你姐姐两人经常会生彼此的气 是不是? |
[13:26] | We had our differences | 我们之间是有些分歧 |
[13:28] | primarily over the war zone that they subjected Emma to. | 尤其是在由谁负责Emma的问题上更加尖锐 |
[13:31] | Just out of curiosity: | 仅仅是出于好奇 |
[13:34] | Where were you the day your sister died? | 你姐姐死的那天你在哪里? |
[13:37] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么? |
[13:38] | I don’t mean to be rude, but if my client should be convicted of this murder, | 我并非故意这么无礼 但如果我的委托人谋杀罪名成立 |
[13:42] | he’d be disqualified from inheriting, | 他就会丧失他的继承权 |
[13:44] | and you’d get more of your sister’s money, wouldn’t you? | 而你会得到更多你姐姐的钱 不是吗? |
[13:46] | Are you suggesting I killed my sister? | 你的意思是我杀了我的姐姐? |
[13:49] | I’m just suggesting that you had keys to her house, | 我的意思只是你有你姐姐家的钥匙 |
[13:51] | that you knew her coffee-drinking patterns. | 而你也知道她喝咖啡的习惯 |
[13:53] | Did the police ever investigate you? | 警方调查过你吗? |
[13:55] | No, they did not. | 不 他们没有 |
[13:57] | A year ago, you tried to get custody of Emma, | 一年以前 你曾试图获得Emma的监护权 |
[13:59] | because you considered your sister to be an unfit parent. | 因为你认为你姐姐是一个不合格的家长 |
[14:02] | I considered them both unfit because of the way they fought continually in front of Emma. | 我认为他们都不合格 因为他们经常当着Emma的面吵架 |
[14:06] | You love Emma very much. | 你很爱Emma |
[14:08] | Like a daughter. Yes, I do. | 就像亲生女儿一样 我的确很爱 |
[14:10] | And if your sister dies, | 如果你姐姐一死 |
[14:11] | and your brother-in-law gets convicted of this crime, | 而你姐夫被判谋杀成立 |
[14:14] | you would get custody of Emma wouldn’t you Christine? | 你就得到Emma的监护权 不是吗 Christine? |
[14:17] | Everything would work out. | 一切都变得合理了 |
[14:20] | You are disgusting! | 你真卑鄙! |
[14:29] | One dollar? | 1美元? |
[14:30] | Yes, Mr. Shore. | 没错 Shore先生 |
[14:32] | That is our offer. | 这是我们的出价 |
[14:33] | One dollar and it’s final. | 1美元 就这么多 |
[14:37] | We were offended by your little extortion attempt yesterday, | 昨天你那敲诈的企图冒犯了我们 |
[14:41] | and we’re perfectly willing to go to trial on Thursday. | 我们现在非常期待周四的庭审 |
[14:44] | And when we do, | 等庭审结束 |
[14:46] | it’s going to get out that your client is insane. | 就能证明你的委托人的确是个疯子 |
[14:49] | Her peers are going to learn that she is deeply, deeply deluded, | 她的同事就会发现被她深深地欺骗了 |
[14:53] | and she will likely be unemployable forever. | 而她也可能会永远无法执业 |
[14:56] | So, go ahead, Mr.Shore | 所以请你继续 Shore先生 |
[14:58] | advise your client to move forward with this claim. | 鼓励你的委托人继续这项索赔 |
[15:01] | Counsel her that it is in her best interest to do so. | 给她说 这样有益身心 |
[15:06] | And you? | 至于你 |
[15:08] | Why don’t you just talk it over with God. | 你怎么去不和上帝说说 |
[15:11] | Let me tell you something. | 我来告诉你…… |
[15:15] | Mr. Ginsberg, | Ginsberg先生 |
[15:17] | what you’ve done, unwittingly or not, | 你的所作所为 不管有意无意 |
[15:21] | is turn the matter personal. | 都只会把问题……私人化 |
[15:29] | When a case becomes personal to me, Mr. Ginsberg | 当案子变得私人化 Ginsberg先生 |
[15:33] | my priorities shift. | 我的工作重心就会转移 |
[15:36] | My goal becomes not so much to vindicate, | 现在我的目标已经不是辩解 |
[15:40] | but rather to avenge. | 而是报复 |
[15:45] | My mission now is to get you. | 现在我的目标……就是干你 |
[16:01] | The meeting is over. | 会议结束了 |
[16:02] | You may go. | 走吧 |
[16:12] | Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. | 怜恤人的人有福了!因为他们必蒙怜恤 |
[16:15] | Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the land. | 谦恭的人有福了 因为他们必承受地土 |
[16:19] | Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for justice, | 饥渴慕义的人有福了! |
[16:23] | for they will get their fill. | 因为他们必得饱足 |
[16:29] | Rest? | 就这样? |
[16:31] | What about my testimony? | 我的证词怎么办? |
[16:32] | We agreed you shouldn’t testify since . . . | 我们认为你不要出庭作证 除非…… |
[16:34] | I never agreed. | 我从没这么认为过 |
[16:36] | You agreed. | 是你们在认为 |
[16:37] | If you take the stand, | 如果你要上庭 |
[16:38] | your domestic assault comes into evidence. | 你的家庭暴力就会被举证 |
[16:41] | And if I don’t go up there, we have no defense. | 如果我不作证 我们就没什么好辩护了 |
[16:43] | Our case is reasonable doubt. | 这案件存在合理怀疑 |
[16:45] | It’s burden of proof. | 这已经不需要证明了 |
[16:46] | We’ve already established the possibility of suicide; | 我们已经确立自杀 |
[16:49] | we’ve established the possibility of somebody else killing her. | 及他杀的可能性 |
[16:53] | That’s the best we can do here. | 我们能做的就这些了 |
[16:55] | No, it isn’t. | 不 不是这样的 |
[16:56] | If you take the stand, you are guaranteed a guilty . . . | 如果你要上庭的话 你几乎肯定会被判有罪了…… |
[16:59] | You listen to me! | 你给我听好了! |
[17:01] | From my perspective, I’ve already bought the guilty verdict. | 在我看来 我已经被判有罪了 |
[17:04] | I do not want to rest. | 我不想就此罢休 |
[17:07] | If you get . . . | 如果你被…… |
[17:08] | I’m talking. | 听我说 |
[17:10] | Like you said from the start, everyone thinks I’m guilty. | 就像你一开始说的 每个人都认为我有罪 |
[17:14] | I’m the sick bastard who killed his pregnant wife and unborn child. | 我就是那个杀了自己怀孕妻子和未出生孩子的变态 |
[17:18] | Well, people need to hear from me now. | 那么 现在所有人都需要听我解释 |
[17:20] | My daughter needs to hear from me. | 我的女儿也要听我解释 |
[17:23] | Then do it behind closed doors. | 那就私底下说 |
[17:24] | I will do it in that room! | 我就是要在法庭上说 |
[17:32] | I have made a life of being liked, Ellenor | 我这一生都是受人爱戴 Ellenor |
[17:36] | Look at my face. | 看看我 |
[17:38] | Every job I’ve gotten, | 我得到的每一份工作 |
[17:40] | every woman . . . | 每个女人 |
[17:42] | It’s because I’m trustworthy, | 因为我值得信赖 |
[17:45] | I’m sympathetic, I make a favorable impression. | 我有同情心 我给人留下了良好的印象 |
[17:48] | Brad, I agree with Ellenor. | Brad 我同意Ellenor的话 |
[17:50] | You testifying would not be a good idea. | 你出庭作证可不明智 |
[17:53] | I will take that stand, | 我会这么做的 |
[17:54] | and I will make a favorable impression. | 我也会给人留下良好的印象 |
[17:57] | I will tell my story, | 我讲述我的经历之后 |
[18:00] | and they will cry for me. | 他们就会为我落泪 |
[18:02] | You understand me? | 你们明白了吗? |
[18:07] | We understand you perfectly. | 我们非常明白 |
[18:17] | I’m actually really excited about the trial. | 事实上对这案子我感到很兴奋 |
[18:20] | There’s no greater rush of adrenaline. | 没有比这更让人热血沸腾的了 |
[18:22] | And I’m looking forward to working together again you and me too. | 我期待我们能再次合作 就你和我 |
[18:25] | I thought we gelled perfectly at that first settlement conference. | 我觉得我们在调解会议上的配合天衣无缝 |
[18:28] | You know, our rhythms weretogether, it was kinda like . . . sex. | 你知道 我们在一起的节奏 有点像……做爱 |
[18:39] | What do you think about me presenting the open? | 你觉得我来做开案陈词怎么样? |
[18:41] | There’s no better way of showing off my skills as a litigator. | 以此来炫耀我作律师的技能再好不过了 |
[18:44] | Did you get a message just then? | 这是你刚才得到消息吗? |
[18:47] | From God? | 从上帝那儿? |
[18:48] | As a matter of fact, I did. | 事实上 是的 |
[18:50] | Why? | 为什么这么问? |
[18:52] | I was just wondering. | 好奇而已 |
[18:54] | So what do you think about me opening? | 那你觉得我做开案陈词怎么样? |
[18:57] | I think it sounds good. | 听起来不错 |
[18:59] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[19:00] | Listen, I need to meet with your doctors tomorrow. | 听着 明天我想和你的医生见一面 |
[19:04] | Why? | 为什么? |
[19:05] | To prepare their testimony. | 让他准备证词 |
[19:06] | Why would we be calling doctors? | 为什么要让医生作证? |
[19:09] | We’re basing our claim on disability law, | 我们的索赔依据基于残疾法 |
[19:12] | so I’ll need to present evidence of . . . | 所以我要列出证据…… |
[19:15] | My disability. I have none, Alan. | 我没有残疾 Alan |
[19:20] | When I try cases, Sheila, | 当我解决案子时 Sheila |
[19:22] | I don’t like surprises. | 我不喜欢突发意外 |
[19:24] | Therefore, I would like to meet with your doctors. | 所以我想见见你的医生 |
[19:27] | Why don’t I give you all the surprises right now? | 我现在就给你所有的意外怎么样 |
[19:28] | I have no doctors. | 我没有医生 |
[19:32] | You’re not being treated by anybody? | 没有人给你治疗? |
[19:34] | Why should I be? | 我为什么要有? |
[19:35] | Because God speaks to me? | 就因为上帝和我说话? |
[19:37] | That doesn’t make me ill, | 这不能说明我有什么问题 |
[19:38] | and it doesn’t make me any less of a lawyer. | 这也不会妨碍我作为一个律师 |
[19:47] | I thought I’d have meat. | 我肉吃多了 |
[19:49] | I’m on the Atkins diet, | 我调剂一下 |
[19:51] | so let’s bring on the protein. | 这次来些蛋白质食品吧 |
[19:58] | In what certainly promises to be the most dramatic moment of the trial, | 最富戏剧性的时刻来临了 |
[20:02] | Brad Stanfield will sit in the witness chair | Brad Stanfield将坐在证人席上 |
[20:04] | and presumably deny that he killed his pregnant wife, Molly, | 他很可能会否认杀害了他怀孕的妻子Molly |
[20:08] | and their unborn son, Michael. | 以及未出生的孩子Michael |
[20:11] | You called, Eugene? | 是你叫我 Eugene? |
[20:12] | Yes. | 是的 |
[20:14] | I wanted to meet our new client. | 我想见见我们的新委托人 |
[20:16] | Ahh! | 啊! |
[20:18] | Sheila . . . oh. | |
[20:20] | Sheila Carlisle, | |
[20:21] | Eugene Young. | |
[20:23] | Why is she hiding behind you? | 她怎么躲在你后面? |
[20:25] | You’re bald, Eugene. | 你是光头 Eugene |
[20:26] | You can access her thoughts. | 你可以进入她的思想 |
[20:30] | May I have a word with you, please, Alan? | 我能和你单独谈谈吗 Alan? |
[20:31] | Certainly. | 当然可以 |
[20:32] | Sheila? | |
[20:33] | Um, hmm. | |
[20:36] | Are you serious about tryin’ this case? | 这案子你是认真的吗? |
[20:39] | Quite. | 绝对 |
[20:40] | The woman thinks God speaks to her? | 那女人认为上帝和她说话? |
[20:42] | She does. | 是的 |
[20:44] | As senior partner, | 作为高级合伙人 |
[20:44] | I’m directing you to either settle or enter your withdrawal. | 我命令你要么调解要么撤销 |
[20:47] | This firm cannot | 这家事务所不能 |
[20:48] | and will not proceed to court with that cause of action. | 而且不允许那种指控上庭 |
[20:52] | May I respond? | 我可以回应么? |
[20:53] | Please. | 请便 |
[20:56] | The client merely thinks you can access her thoughts because of your baldness, Eugene. | 我的委托人因你是光头而认为 你能进入她的思想 Eugene |
[21:01] | But if I’m not mistaken, you’re not bald | 但如果我没记错的话 你不是光头 |
[21:03] | you shave your head. If I may? | 你只是把头发剃了 我可以吗? |
[21:09] | Just as I thought. | 我说的没错 |
[21:10] | Nubs. | 不是光头 |
[21:11] | It’s all a big misunderstanding. | 这误会可闹大了 |
[21:13] | I’ll let her know. | 我去告诉她 |
[21:15] | You do not amuse me. | 你不要耍我 |
[21:17] | I sense that. | 我感觉到了 |
[21:24] | It wasn’t a perfect marriage. | 这婚姻并不完美 |
[21:27] | I had an affair once. | 我有过一次外遇 |
[21:29] | Turns out, she was having one. | 事实证明 她也有过一次 |
[21:31] | But, still, you didn’t want a divorce? | 但你还是――不想离婚? |
[21:34] | No. We had a daughter. | 不 我们有了个女儿 |
[21:38] | For both Molly and me, | 对Molly和我来说…… |
[21:41] | Emma was everything. | Emma就是一切 |
[21:44] | And, uh . . . | 还有 呃…… |
[21:46] | And what, Brad? | 还有什么 Brad? |
[21:48] | And despite our battles, | 尽管我们一直吵架 |
[21:51] | my love for Molly was as strong as ever. | 但我对Molly的爱一如既往的强烈 |
[21:54] | I resisted the divorce simply because I | 我反对离婚…… |
[21:58] | I couldn’t imagine life without her. | ……仅仅是因为我 我不能想象没有她的日子 |
[22:01] | That may make me weak but | 可能这让我看上去很脆弱 但是…… |
[22:03] | uh, it’s the truth. | 这是事实 |
[22:05] | Did you kill your wife, Bradley? | 是你杀了你妻子吗 Bradley? |
[22:07] | No. I didn’t. | 不 我没有 |
[22:09] | Uh, she she was pregnant with my son | 她 她怀了我的儿子 |
[22:13] | a son I had dreamed of. | 我朝思暮想的儿子 |
[22:16] | The idea that I could take a life any life | 那些认为我伤害生命的想法 任何的生命 |
[22:22] | but to accuse me of killing Molly? | 但是指控我杀了Molly? |
[22:26] | Or Michael? | 杀了Michael? |
[22:29] | You heard it mentioned that your sister-in-law, Christine, | 你也听到了 有人指出你妹妹Christine |
[22:33] | might have had both motive and opportunity. | 说她也有动机和机会 |
[22:35] | I can’t believe Christine could be capable of this. I . . . | 我不敢相信Christine会这么做 |
[22:38] | She and Molly had battles, | 她和Molly也有过争执 |
[22:39] | and I know she wanted custody of Emma, | 而且她想要Emma的监护权 但…… |
[22:41] | but this was her own sister. | 她是她亲生姐姐啊 |
[22:44] | Did Molly have any other enemies? | Molly还有其他的仇人吗? |
[22:47] | I mean, obviously she had secrets | 我的意思是 很显然她有自己的秘密 |
[22:50] | I didn’t know about the affair but | 我不知道外遇的事 但是…… |
[22:52] | no enemies that I knew of | 据我所知没有仇人 |
[22:54] | Brad, you have to understand why you’re a suspect. | Brad 你要弄明白你为什么是嫌疑犯 |
[22:58] | You have a troubled marriage, | 你的婚姻出了问题 |
[23:00] | your wife wants to leave you, | 你妻子想要离开你 |
[23:01] | and she’s suddenly found poisoned to death in your home | 然后她又突然被发现在你家中毒身亡 |
[23:05] | with no signs of anybody else being there but you. | 没有任何迹象表明有其他人在场 除了你 |
[23:10] | I would never be capable of taking a human life. | 我绝不会去杀害一个人 |
[23:15] | I could never hurt the woman that I love more than life | 我绝不会伤害一个比我生命更珍贵的女人 |
[23:22] | You could never hurt her. | 你从没伤害过她 |
[23:24] | A year ago, the police were called to your house once | 一年前警方造访你家因为…… |
[23:27] | because you hit her. | ……你殴打了她 |
[23:28] | Once, during an argument, I lashed out. | 就一次 在一次争吵中 我失控了 |
[23:32] | I’m ashamed of that. | 我为此感到惭愧 |
[23:33] | You’re ashamed. | 你感到惭愧 |
[23:35] | And when the police questioned you after finding her dead, | 她死后警方讯问你时 |
[23:39] | you didn’t tell them of your affair, did you? | 你没有告诉他们你有外遇 对吧? |
[23:42] | No, I I was . . . | 没有 我 我…… |
[23:44] | Ashamed. | 惭愧 |
[23:44] | Objection. | 反对 |
[23:45] | The police asked if you and your wife had any domestic problems. | 警方问你和你妻子有没有家庭问题 |
[23:48] | You answered, No. | 你回答说“没有” |
[23:51] | That was a lie, wasn’t it, Mr. Stanfield? | 这是个谎言 对吧 Stanfield先生? |
[23:53] | I didn’t imagine that I was a suspect at the time of that question that | 那时我回答问题并没想到我会是嫌疑犯 |
[23:58] | . . . I thought my marriage was a private matter. | 我以为我的婚姻属于我的私事 |
[24:00] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[24:01] | You also told the police that you tried to revive your wife. | 你还告诉警方说你曾试着救你妻子 |
[24:06] | Yes, after I found her, | 是的 我发现之后 |
[24:08] | I performed chest compressions, mouth-to-mouth . . . | 我用手压着她的胸部 嘴对嘴…… |
[24:10] | Yes. You said you tried to breathe air into her lungs. | 是的 你说你试着让空气进入她的肺部 |
[24:15] | And yet, we found no traces of your saliva on her mouth. | 但在她嘴里我们没有发现你的唾液含量 |
[24:18] | In fact, there was no smudging even of her lipstick, Mr. Stanfield. | 事实上 甚至是她的口红上也没有 Stanfield先生 |
[24:25] | Did you not touch her lips as you performed mouth-to-mouth? | 你做人工呼吸难道不嘴对嘴吗? |
[24:30] | I thought I did. | 我想我是嘴对嘴的 |
[24:31] | You thought you did. | 你想你是这样的 |
[24:34] | The night before Molly’s death, | Molly死的前一天晚上 |
[24:35] | the neighbors heard you and your wife screaming at each other from inside your home. | 邻居们听见从你家传出你和你妻子大声叫喊的声音 |
[24:40] | What was the fight about, Mr. Stanfield? | 你们在吵什么 Stanfield先生? |
[24:43] | We argued a lot in our marriage. I said so. | 我们在为我们的婚姻争吵 我已经说过了 |
[24:48] | That particular argument . . . | 特别是…… |
[24:52] | She complained that I worked too much | 她抱怨我工作太多了 |
[24:54] | that I was a . . . an absentee husband. | 说我是一个不顾家的丈夫 |
[24:56] | That’s what the fight was about? | 你们就在吵这个? |
[24:58] | Yes. | 是的 |
[24:59] | One neighbor Martin Reed, who is seated right there | 有一个邻居 Martin Reed 现在坐在那里 |
[25:03] | he heard you screaming at your wife, Do you love him? | 他听到你对你妻子大叫“你爱他吗?” |
[25:09] | Did she love who, Mr. Stanfield? | 她在爱谁 Stanfield先生? |
[25:11] | I do not recall saying that. | 我不记得我说过这个 |
[25:13] | You stated to the police and testified again today | 你对警方说过而且今天再次作证说 |
[25:15] | that you didn’t learn of your wife’s affair until after her death. | 在你妻子死前 你不知道她的外遇 |
[25:20] | And yet, the night before, you were heard screaming, Do you love him? | 而在前一天晚上 你在大叫“你爱他吗?” |
[25:27] | As I said before, I don’t remember saying that. | 我刚才说了 我不记得说过这个 |
[25:31] | I knew nothing about her affair. | 我对她外遇的事一无所知 |
[25:41] | Not good | 情况不妙 |
[25:42] | How bad? | 有多糟? |
[25:43] | All six voted guilty. | 所有6票都投有罪 |
[25:46] | Unequivocally. | 都非常明确 |
[25:48] | Uh, what are you talking about? | 你们在说什么? |
[25:50] | I hired a focus group to monitor the trial. | 我雇了一些人来监陪审判 |
[25:53] | They found your testimony unconvincing and unanimously rejected it. | 他们觉得你的证词不可靠并且一致排除了 |
[25:59] | All right. | 好了 |
[26:00] | Look. I would like to explore murder two. | 听着 我会去争取二级谋杀的判决 |
[26:05] | Absolutely not! | 绝对不行 |
[26:06] | Brad . . . | |
[26:07] | That is a life sentence, Ellenor! | 那可是终身监禁 Ellenor |
[26:08] | With the possibility of parole. | 可有获得假释的机会 |
[26:11] | I I don’t know what to tell you. We are going to lose, here. | 我 我不知道该怎么对你说 我们要输了 |
[26:13] | We are dead! | 我们完了 |
[26:15] | Daddy, let me tell! | 爸爸 让我来说 |
[26:15] | Emma, please. Be quiet. | Emma 请别说话 |
[26:17] | Daddy, you said you . . . | 爸爸 你说你…… |
[26:18] | Emma . . . ? | |
[26:24] | Tell what? | 说什么? |
[26:26] | Nothing. Could . . . | 没什么 |
[26:27] | could I have a moment alone with my daughter, please? | 我 我可以和我女儿单独待一会么? |
[26:43] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[26:44] | Hey! I’m working on my opening. Do you wanna hear it? | 嘿 我在准备开案陈词呢 想听听吗? |
[26:46] | In a second. | 等会吧 |
[26:50] | I need you to listen to me, Sheila. | 我要你现在听我说 Sheila |
[26:52] | Yeah. | |
[26:54] | The reason I so readily took this case, aside from my tremendous affection for you, | 我这么干脆地接了这个案子 除了我对你很深的感情 |
[27:01] | is because I know, | 还有我知道 |
[27:03] | your eccentricities notwithstanding, | 尽管你的行为很怪异 |
[27:06] | you’ve always been a fierce and brilliant litigator, | 你一直是一位好强的出色的律师 |
[27:08] | and I have never, ever known you to be off on the law. | 而且我也从没听说过你会被法律所羁绊 |
[27:13] | But I’m concerned, Sheila, | 但我现在担心 Sheila |
[27:17] | because now you are off on the law. | 你现在已经被法律所抛弃了 |
[27:22] | How so? | 怎么会? |
[27:27] | The basis of our claim lies in employment discrimination. | 我们索赔的依据基于雇用歧视 |
[27:33] | Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 151 | 也就是麻省民法典151章 |
[27:36] | you drafted the complaint, Sheila. | 是你提起了这个控诉 Sheila |
[27:38] | We must, as a matter of law, | 我们必须找到一个法律依据 |
[27:41] | make a showing that you’re handicapped within the meaning of the statute. | 一个可以证明你受到歧视的条款 |
[27:48] | We will need a doctor to testify that you have a mental illness, | 我们也需要一位医生来证明你有精神上的问题 |
[27:52] | because you do. | 因为你的确有 |
[27:56] | And if we cannot make a showing, that you’re mentally ill, | 如果我们不能证明你有精神问题 |
[28:01] | we cannot win this lawsuit. | 这案子我们就赢不了 |
[28:11] | What are your thoughts? | 你在想什么? |
[28:17] | Talk to me. | 告诉我 |
[28:19] | Please don’t abandon me, Alan. | 请别抛弃我 Alan |
[28:20] | I won’t. | 我不会的 |
[28:28] | I was initially diagnosed with schizophrenia. | 我被初步诊断为精神分裂症 |
[28:30] | I had excellent pre-morbid functioning. | 我有着格外丰富的想象力 |
[28:33] | I was later re-diagnosed with a non-bizarre delusional disorder | 后来我被重新诊断患有非离奇性幻想 |
[28:37] | delusional, and not schizophrenic | 妄想症 不是精神分裂症 |
[28:39] | because the voices were within my head and not from external sources. | 因为我听到的声音来源于自身而非外界 |
[28:43] | I was treated with anti-psychotic medication, | 我长期服用精神抑制药物 |
[28:46] | the voices remitted. | 幻听才有所缓解 |
[28:47] | I went off the medication, and . . . | 后来我停止了服药 然后…… |
[28:51] | She came back. | 她又回来了 |
[28:53] | There you have it. | 你们都看见了 |
[28:54] | I’ll make the doctors available to you, | 我会让医生配合你的 |
[28:57] | though I haven’t been treated in over two months. | 即使我已经两个月没有接受治疗了 |
[29:09] | I’ll let you get back to your opening. | 你继续你的开庭陈词吧 |
[29:14] | Alan, | |
[29:18] | I need you to win this case for me. | 我需要你帮我打赢这场官司 |
[29:20] | Can you win it for me, please. | 你会吗? |
[29:22] | Done. | 没问题 |
[29:34] | We know you love your dad very much, | 我们都知道你很爱你的爸爸 |
[29:36] | and he loves you. | 他也爱你 |
[29:38] | We’re his lawyers, | 我们是他的律师 |
[29:39] | and all of his secrets are safe with us. | 他所有的秘密对我们来说都是安全的 |
[29:43] | Are you the person who poisoned your mother? | 是你毒死了你妈妈吗? |
[29:49] | I told you I don’t really want to talk about it right now. | 我说过我现在不想谈这个 |
[29:52] | Emma, I don’t think you really want your dad | Emma 你一定不想让你爸爸 |
[29:56] | to live the rest of his life in prison. | 后半生都在狱中度过 |
[29:59] | There may be a way for us to help him and to protect you at the same time, | 也许有方法可以帮助你爸爸同时也可以保护你 |
[30:04] | but we need to know the truth, Emma. | 但我们要知道事情的真相 Emma |
[30:09] | Did you poison your mother? | 是你毒死了你妈妈吗? |
[30:22] | Can you tell us why? | 能告诉我们为什么? |
[30:24] | She was ruining everything. | 她做什么都很霸道 |
[30:31] | She’s lying to protect me. | 她这是撒谎来保护我 |
[30:32] | I don’t think so. | 我想不是 |
[30:34] | Where is she? | 她在哪? |
[30:35] | She’s with Tara. Listen . . . | 她和Tara在一起 听我说 |
[30:38] | I killed Molly, all right? | 是我杀了Molly 行了吧 |
[30:43] | Emma’s just trying to protect me, leave it at that. | Emma只是在保护我 你们别管了 |
[30:46] | Oh, so now you’re suddenly saying that you did it? | 噢 现在你又突然承认了? |
[30:49] | You’ve been protecting your daughter. | 是你在保护你的女儿 |
[30:51] | This doesn’t help her. | 这不是在帮她 |
[30:53] | She’s 10. | 她才10岁 |
[30:53] | She’ll be destroyed. | 她的一生都会毁了 |
[30:55] | She’ll most definitely be destroyed if she’s locked up. | 她被关起来才真的是被毁了 |
[30:58] | That doesn’t have to happen. | 不是非得这样 |
[31:00] | There’s probably an insanity defense | 很有可能是精神失常的正当防卫 |
[31:02] | she’s 10. | 她才10岁 |
[31:04] | Plus, for God’s sake, if she’s ever to have any chance of psychological or emotional health, | 而且 看在上帝的份上 如果她想有健全的心理和情感 |
[31:08] | she’s going to need you on the outside | 你必须在外面帮她 |
[31:11] | You accepting guilt for her crime . . . | 你承认她所犯下的罪…… |
[31:13] | I accept guilt because I’m at fault, Ellenor. | 我认罪因为这是我的过错 Ellenor |
[31:21] | She was raised in an environment of hatred. | 她在一个充满仇恨的环境里长大 |
[31:26] | Her mom and I fought. | 她妈妈和我打架 |
[31:28] | Emma . . . | |
[31:34] | whatever caused her to do this, | 不管什么让她这么做了 |
[31:38] | I absolutely accept fault. | 都应该是我的过错 |
[31:45] | Let us try to work this out. | 让我们来解决吧 |
[31:50] | Just make the deal on murder two. | 就按二级谋杀来吧 |
[31:52] | I’ll take it. | 我认罪了 |
[31:53] | We’re not allowed to do that. | 我们不能这样做 |
[31:55] | As Emma’s legal guardian, | 作为Emma的法定监护人 |
[31:57] | I am directing you to hire independent counsel for her. | 我要求你再给她单独雇个律师 |
[32:00] | That you have to do. | 你们必须这样 |
[32:05] | She’s is a gifted attorney, and I mean, gifted. | 她是个很有天分的律师 我说真的 有天分 |
[32:11] | She has the highest winning percentage of all our litigators. | 她是我们所有律师中胜诉率最高的 |
[32:17] | But God speaks to her. | 但是上帝和她说话 |
[32:21] | She claims bald men access her thoughts. | 还说秃顶男人可以进入她的思想 |
[32:26] | As much as we adorec Sheila Carlisle and we do | 就算我们非常崇拜Sheila Carlisle 我们的确崇拜 |
[32:31] | she’s ill, | 但她不正常 |
[32:33] | and her delusions simply shake client confidence in our firm. | 她的幻想让委托人对我们事务所的信心大跌 |
[32:41] | Now you’ll hear lots of evidence during this trial from many people documenting her illness, | 现在你们在审判中会得到很多能证明她不正常的证据 |
[32:47] | and you’ll understand our position, | 你们就会明白我们的立场 |
[32:49] | but you’ll truly come to appreciate it, | 我想在你们在听了Sheila的话后 |
[32:52] | I’m afraid, | 我恐怕 |
[32:54] | once you hear from Sheila. | 就会赞同我们的做法 |
[33:10] | Imagine being considered insane for endeavoring to communicate with God. | 试想一下为了努力和上帝交流就被认为是疯子 |
[33:16] | I’ve been so ostracized by my firm these days, | 这些日子以来事务所是那么排斥我 |
[33:20] | God was the only one who’d talk to me. | 只有上帝愿和我说话 |
[33:24] | You talk to her, Margaret, every night. | 你和上帝说话 Margaret 每天晚上 |
[33:27] | And even though you think she’s a he, that’s okay. | 尽管你认为是他而不是她 这都没关系 |
[33:32] | And, Ward, I know you don’t believe in Her, | 而你Ward 我知道你不信上帝 |
[33:35] | but when your wife survived cancer, | 但你妻子得了癌症却活了下来 |
[33:37] | you were heard to mutter, Thank God. | 你喃喃自语”感谢上帝” |
[33:42] | Wha what is going on here? | 这 这是在干什么? |
[33:43] | I’m giving my opening remarks, | 我在做我的开案陈词 |
[33:45] | and I’d appreciate being allowed to finish. | 请你让我讲完 |
[33:48] | And this . . . is fraud. | 还有这个 假的 |
[33:51] | Objection! | 反对! |
[33:52] | Agnostic, Mitchell? | 不可知论者? Mitchell |
[33:54] | Shame! | 为你感到羞耻 |
[33:54] | Ms. Carlisle! Chambers now! | Carlisle女士 到我的房间来 马上 |
[33:59] | Just as well. Shirley has to pee. | 现在 Shirley要小便了 |
[34:03] | Obviously she managed to find personal data on the jurors. | 很显然 她设法找到了陪审员的个人资料 |
[34:07] | This is unethical . . . | 这是不道德的 |
[34:09] | Where did you get this information, Counsel? | 你是怎么知道这些的 律师 |
[34:11] | God. | 从上帝那…… |
[34:11] | I’m not fooling around, Ms. Carlisle. | 我不是傻子 Carlisle女士 |
[34:13] | If you have access to the clerk’s office | 如果你进入了秘书办公室 |
[34:16] | if you gained access to the files . . . | 你获得了资料 |
[34:17] | This is the probably why she relates so well to juries. | 这就是为什么她和陪审团关系如此之好 |
[34:19] | She gets inside information, which she . . . | 她有内部消息 她就能…… |
[34:22] | You’re absolutely right, Albert. | 你说的对极了 Albert |
[34:24] | If you’d like a mistrial, fine. | 如果你想要使审判无效 没问题 |
[34:25] | We can do this over and over again. | 我们可以一遍一遍来 |
[34:27] | My source will always be there. | 我总有消息来源 |
[34:30] | All right. | 好了 |
[34:31] | Regardless of where you get your information, | 不管你从哪里弄到的资料 |
[34:34] | it is improper for you to have personal contact with jurors. | 但你不可以和陪审员有私下交流 |
[34:37] | I haven’t. | 我没有 |
[34:38] | Yes, you have. | 你有 |
[34:39] | The fact that you had it in open court doesn’t change things. | 你在法庭上公开这么做没有任何区别 |
[34:43] | This is a mistrial. | 这是个无效审判 |
[34:44] | She told me that you’d do that, | 她(上帝)告诉过我你会这么做的 |
[34:46] | but I wouldn’t listen. | 但我不会听她的 |
[34:50] | Mr. Ginsberg. | Ginsberg先生 |
[34:53] | Given you don’t know her source, | 考虑到你并不知道她消息的来源 |
[34:56] | and that she might be more subtle the next go-around, | 她下一步也不知道要干什么 |
[35:00] | I seriously suggest you think about settling this. | 我强烈建议你好好考虑调解这官司 |
[35:04] | Your wife would be happy. | 你妻子会很高兴的 |
[35:06] | You could take that trip to Mexico. | 你们可以去墨西哥去度假了 |
[35:10] | They’re in a rut. | 他们小日子挺无聊 |
[35:13] | The cyanide came from her mother’s photo lab. | 氰化物来自于她母亲的相片工作室 |
[35:16] | Evidently, it’s used in developing pictures. | 很显然是用来冲洗照片的 |
[35:18] | It explains the simple suicide note, | 这就可以解释那封简单的遗书了 |
[35:20] | written by a ten-year-old. | 是10岁孩子写的 |
[35:26] | I need to talk to her. | 我要和她谈谈 |
[35:27] | I can’t allow that. | 我不会允许的 |
[35:28] | Look, you’re going to have to help me out here, otherwise . . . | 听着 你这个得帮我 不然 |
[35:30] | I’m assigned to help the girl, not you. | 我是来帮那孩子的 而不是你 |
[35:33] | Trust me. She’s not talking. | 相信我 她不会和你谈的 |
[35:35] | And if I were to subpoena her? | 如果我传唤她呢? |
[35:37] | She’ll plead the Fifth | 她会根据第五条法案来辩护 |
[35:38] | unless, of course, you’d like to grant total immunity. | 当然 除非你同意完全豁免 |
[35:41] | Well, if I can’t speak to her, I have no new evidence, and therefore . . . | 那么 如果我不能和她谈话 我不会有新的证据 因此 |
[35:45] | Actually, you do. | 事实上你有 |
[35:46] | Jamie and I are witnesses, as is Tara Wilson, our assistant. | Jamie和我是证人 Tara Wilson是我们的助手 |
[35:50] | We heard the girl confess. | 我们听到了女孩的供述 |
[35:52] | And I’m to take your word? | 让我相信你们的话? |
[35:54] | You represent the guy! | 你们是代理那家伙的 |
[35:55] | No, actually we would have to recuse ourselves now, | 不 事实上我们现在不能帮他辩护了 |
[35:58] | because we’ve become witnesses. | 因为我们现在是证人了 |
[36:02] | Look: I pull a lot of stunts. | 我设计了不少把戏 |
[36:05] | In this trial alone, pointing the finger at the sister | 在庭上 我把矛头指着她的妹妹 |
[36:07] | it was a tactic, a part of the game. | 这是一个把戏 只是我询问的一小部分 |
[36:12] | But as an officer of the court, | 但是作为司法机构的一员 |
[36:15] | I am here before you now as is Jamie telling you, | 我现在站在这里 Jamie也是――来告诉你 |
[36:20] | this was not a stunt. | 这不是什么把戏 |
[36:34] | Thank you for coming in. | 谢谢你的到来 |
[36:37] | I understand you’ve had opportunity to talk to your niece. | 我了解到你有机会和你的侄女说话 |
[36:42] | Ms. Shepard, I need you to be a friend of the court, and I . . . | Shepard女士 我想让你站在法庭这一边 我…… |
[36:45] | Hold on a second. | 等一会 |
[36:46] | Ms. Singleton, you represent the girl, not the aunt. | Singleton女士 你现在代表那个女孩 而不是她姑姑 |
[36:50] | This is improper, your Honor. | 这不合适 法官阁下 |
[36:51] | Well, that’s my call, not yours, | 我的地方我做主 |
[36:53] | and I’ll thank you to be quiet. | 如果你保持安静 我会表示感谢 |
[36:59] | Ms. Shepard, none of us wants the wrong person convicted here. | Shepard女士 我们都不想无辜的人被定罪 |
[37:05] | Did your niece indicate to you that she poisoned your sister? | 你侄女向你暗示过是她毒死你姐姐吗? |
[37:12] | I asked you a question. I would like you to answer. | 我是在问你问题 你得回答我 |
[37:15] | I am not going to incriminate my niece. | 我不会指证我侄女犯罪 |
[37:21] | But I’ll say, | 但我可以说 |
[37:28] | it appears Mr. Stanfield did not commit the crime. | 不是Stanfield先生干的 |
[37:41] | Members of the jury: | 陪审团成员们 |
[37:43] | New information has come to light. | 有个新情况浮出水面 |
[37:46] | As a result of this new information, | 鉴于由于这个新的情况 |
[37:47] | the District Attorney feels he is duty-bound to withdraw the complaint. | 地区检察官觉得有责任撤销起诉 |
[37:52] | The charges against Bradley Stanfield are, | 因此对Bradley Stanfield的指控 |
[37:55] | therefore, dismissed. | 予以撤销 |
[37:57] | The defendant is free to go. | 被告自由了 |
[38:00] | The minor, Emma Stanfield, will be taken into custody. | Emma Stanfield将被扣押 |
[38:03] | And we are adjourned. | 休庭 |
[38:08] | Please try to be brave, sweetheart. | 勇敢点 甜心 |
[38:09] | I will, Daddy. I will. | 我会的 爸爸 我会的 |
[38:11] | Stanfield, what happened? | |
[38:20] | They’re not taking you back. | 他们不会让你回去了 |
[38:22] | What? | 什么 |
[38:23] | They can’t be forced to employ you, Sheila. You know that. | 不能强迫他们雇用你Sheila 你知道这一点 |
[38:26] | Well, then, let’s not settle. | 那我们就不调解 |
[38:27] | Five is not enough. | 这远远不够 |
[38:29] | You don’t need them. | 你不需要他们 |
[38:31] | Being alone is not good for me, Alan. | 孤单一人对我来说可不好 Alan |
[38:35] | I need voices on the outside to balance . | 我需要有外部的声音来平衡 |
[38:38] | . . Being alone is not good for me. | 孤单一人对我来说可不好 |
[38:39] | Let’s not settle. | 我们不要调解 |
[38:41] | Nobody’s gonna hire you. | 没有人会雇用你 |
[38:45] | Except maybe me. | 当然除了我 |
[38:48] | You? | 你? |
[38:50] | Here? | 这里? |
[38:51] | Why not? | 为什么不? |
[38:52] | Do you even have the authority to hire people? | 你有权自己拍板雇人? |
[38:55] | No. I’ll figure it out. | 没有 我会解决的 |
[39:00] | You’re a good friend, Alan. | 你是个很好的朋友 Alan |
[39:04] | How did you learn the identities and backgrounds of all those jurors? | 你是怎么知道那些陪审员的身份和背景资料的? |
[39:19] | Brad? | |
[39:20] | You got a second? | 你有空吗 |
[39:21] | Sure. | 当然 |
[39:23] | Emma’s lawyer is she qualified? | Emma的律师 她能胜任吗 |
[39:26] | Well, she was assigned by the courts. | 呃 她是法庭指派的 |
[39:27] | Her reputation is good. | 名声很好 |
[39:29] | Can you take over? | 你能接手么? |
[39:31] | Oh, I I suppose, but . . . | 噢 我―我想可以 但是 |
[39:33] | Good. I wanna move quickly. | 很好 我想快点搞定 |
[39:35] | I don’t want her to be locked up. | 我可不想她被关起来 |
[39:37] | She’s going to be locked up. | 她会被关起来的 |
[39:39] | She committed murder. There’s . . . | 她犯了谋杀罪 有…… |
[39:40] | Actually, she didn’t, Jamie. | 事实上她没有 |
[39:41] | She just said she did. | 她只是说是她干的 |
[39:45] | All right. Look. | 好吧 是这样 |
[39:47] | I’m embarrassed to say I haven’t been truthful with you. | 我很尴尬的说我没有完全相信你们 |
[39:51] | I killed Molly. | 是我杀了Molly |
[39:53] | I maintained otherwise for obvious reasons I didn’t want to spend my life in jail. | 我固执己见的原因是显而易见的 我不想下半辈子在狱中度过 |
[39:56] | As the case went south, Emma and I devised a back-up plan | 案子已经到了这个地步 Emma和我设计了一个预备计划 |
[40:00] | a Plan B of our own, I guess you’d call it. | 我们自己的B计划 |
[40:02] | It involved manipulating you | 我想你是这么叫的 |
[40:04] | getting you to think that she did it, | 它包括给你假象 让你相信是她做的 |
[40:06] | in the hope that you’d find a way to right an apparent travesty of justice | 希望你能找到一个滑稽的”真相” |
[40:09] | which you did, and I’m grateful. | 你确实这么做了 我也很感激 |
[40:12] | Now, we need to help her. | 现在 我们要帮她了 |
[40:14] | Assuming double jeopardy will prevent me from being re-tried, | 假设双重危境可以让我不被再次起诉 (一个人不能以同样的罪名被起诉两次) |
[40:17] | one strategy might be for me to come forward now, | 现在的策略应该是由我挺身而出了 |
[40:20] | and admit my guilt. | 承认我有罪了 |
[40:21] | Is that right? | 对吗 |
[40:24] | Do I assume correctly, Ellenor? | 我的假设对吧 Ellenor |
[40:28] | You killed your wife? | 你杀了你妻子? |
[40:30] | Yes. | 是的 |
[40:31] | And I’m not proud of using my daughter to secure my freedom. | 而我不会因利用女儿换自由而感到自豪 |
[40:35] | Actually, you two gave me that idea. | 事实上 是你们让我有了这个想法 |
[40:37] | Anyway, the mission now is to fix things, and get her out. | 无论如何 现在要做的就是解决问题 把她弄出来 |
[40:41] | So, we all need to get on-board. | 所以我们又要上庭了 |
[40:43] | Again, I totally apologize for manipulating you. | 我再一次向欺骗你而道歉 |
[40:46] | I thought that was the only way. | 我认为这是唯一的出路 |
[40:49] | When can we proceed? | 我们什么时候可以开始? |
[40:51] | Brad? | |
[40:53] | You’re going to have to give us a little time to absorb all of this. | 你得给我们一点时间来想想所有的一切 |
[40:57] | But let’s not waste any time, okay? | 我们别浪费时间了好吗? |
[41:00] | An innocent ten-year-old girl is in jail. | 一个无辜的10岁女孩在监狱里 |
[41:02] | We need to help her. | 我们得帮帮她 |
[41:04] | Whatever we choose to do, by the way it cannot involve me going to jail. | 不管你们要怎么做 当然不包括让我进监狱 |
[41:09] | That is not an option. | 这没得选 |
[41:11] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[41:13] | Thank you. | 非常感谢 |
[41:24] | I think he could be sick. | 我认为他不正常 |
[41:28] | We need to figure out a way to take him down. | 我们得想办法让他进监狱 |
[41:32] | How? | 怎么弄? |
[41:34] | There’s double jeopardy, privilege . . . | 这是双重危境 他的权力 |
[41:37] | Jamie, he just used us as puppets to defraud the court. | Jamie 他刚利用我们作傀儡来欺骗法庭 |
[41:45] | We need to take him down. | 我们得让他进监狱 |