时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Previously on the Practice | |
[00:02] | Massachusetts is a “no-fault” state | 麻省是无过错离婚州 (离婚不需要理由 也不追究责任) |
[00:03] | Your wife’s infidelity is a non-issue. | 不能判你妻子有过失 |
[00:05] | She didn’t just cheat on me,Miss Wilson; | 她不只是对我不忠 Wilson小姐 |
[00:08] | She did so with my best friend! | 她是和我最好的朋友搞! |
[00:10] | I have two young kids. | 我有两个小孩儿 |
[00:11] | I’ll represent you,Roland. | 我做你的律师 Roland |
[00:13] | Sheila! | |
[00:14] | I don’t think we should just file claim against her, | 我觉得我们不该只告她一个 |
[00:16] | I think we should prosecute that best man,as well. | 我们还应该起诉那个伴郎 |
[00:18] | Richard and my wife were having intercourse in my house,in my bed. | Richard和我妻子在我的房里 我的床上做爱 |
[00:25] | And then what happened? | 然后发生了什么事? |
[00:27] | They looked at me,they stopped, | 他们看见了我 停了下来 |
[00:30] | and they started up again. | 然后又开始了 |
[00:31] | with you in the room. | 在你在场之下 |
[00:33] | Yes. They didn’t even have the decency to stop. | 是的 他们甚至没有要停下的羞耻心 |
[00:36] | Little news flash : The kids aren’t yours. They’re Richard’s. | 有个新消息 孩子不是你的 是Richard的 |
[00:40] | -Nancy! -What! | -什么! |
[00:41] | So drop this case, or you’ll never see ’em again. | 所以撤诉吧 否则你就再也见不到他们了 |
[00:45] | Roland. | |
[00:46] | I think I need a lawyer. | 我想我需要一个律师 |
[00:49] | I don’t want to go to jail. | 我不想坐牢 |
[00:50] | You shot two people. | 你打死了两个人 |
[00:53] | They were fornicating in my bed again. | 他们又在我床上搞了! |
[00:55] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[00:56] | But it’s very important that you don’t talk to anybody but us. | 但这点很重要 除了我们你不能对任何人开口 |
[00:59] | I still love her,you know? | 我还是爱她的 你知道吗? |
[01:01] | Shot her… | 打死了她… |
[01:04] | but love her. | 但是还爱着她 |
[01:07] | You think you’re clever,Counsel? | 你自以为聪明 是吧律师? |
[01:09] | Hey,Judge,if you think I crossed the line,call a mistrial. | 嘿 法官 如果你觉得我过分了 那就宣布审理无效吧 |
[01:12] | Is that what’s going on-you want a mistrial? | 这是你企图的吗 无效审理? |
[01:14] | You told me what I couldn’t argue. | 是你告诉我哪些不能主张 |
[01:16] | You got any problem with me now, then it must be personal. | 如果你还对我有意见 那肯定是私人恩怨了 |
[01:19] | I take my courtroom very personal. And if . . . | 我对我的法庭是非常在意的 如果… |
[01:22] | If I crossed the line,call a mistrial. | 如果我过分了 那就宣布无效吧! |
[01:26] | I’m unable to have a relationship outside the work. | 我在工作之外 无法和人交往 |
[01:29] | When’s the last time? | 上一次是什么时候? |
[01:30] | I believe I have one now. | 我相信现在我有了一段 |
[01:41] | Eugene,I’m a person who believes in admitting my wrongs. | Eugene 我是个愿意认错的人 |
[01:45] | But is it really,really such a big deal | 可是 难道这真的…真的很要紧吗 |
[01:47] | that I mistakenly used your toothbrush? | 就因为我误用了你的牙刷? |
[01:50] | First,we’ve had this conversation before, | 首先 我们已经说过这事 |
[01:53] | so how do you mistakenly use my toothbrush? | 所以你怎么会误用我的牙刷呢? |
[01:56] | Second,it is my toothbrush,used to clean my mouth. | 其次 这是我的牙刷 用来清洁我的嘴 |
[02:01] | And I like the bristle dry. | 我喜欢毛刷是干的 |
[02:03] | Third,I never said it was such a big deal– | 第三 我从没说这是大事情… |
[02:05] | I can promise you that your bristle won’t be getting wet tonight. | 我能向你保证 今晚你的毛刷不会湿了 |
[02:09] | Oh really? | 喔 真的吗? |
[02:16] | Hello. | 喂 |
[02:18] | Now? I mean,it’s half past seven. | 现在? 我是说才七点半 |
[02:23] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[02:26] | Judge Fox wants to see me in her chambers. | Fox法官让我去办公室见她 |
[02:29] | Now? | 现在? |
[02:32] | I’m an early riser. I can see you’re not. | 我是个早起的人 看来你不是 |
[02:35] | What’s going on? | 发生什么事了? |
[02:36] | You have a new client,Mr. Young. | 你有个新委托人 Young先生 |
[02:38] | His name is Jonathan Macklin. | 名字叫Jonathan Macklin |
[02:40] | His trial begins next week. | 他的案子下星期开庭 |
[02:42] | Hence,time is of the essence. | 所以 时间要抓紧 |
[02:43] | Jonathan Macklin. The one in the news? | Jonathan Macklin 那个上新闻的人? |
[02:46] | The very one. File’s been sent over to your office. | 就是那个 资料已经送去你办公室了 |
[02:49] | We’ll schedule a conference for- | 我们定个时间碰面… |
[02:50] | I pass. | 我放弃 |
[02:52] | I’m not giving you that option. | 你没的选 |
[02:54] | Jon Macklin is a racist. | Jon Macklin是个种族歧视者 |
[02:56] | Also a defendant. | 也是名被告 |
[02:57] | And a white supremacist. | 还是个白人优越论者 |
[02:59] | The victim was black. | 受害者是黑人 |
[03:02] | Is that why you picked me,because I’m black? | 是不是因为我是个黑人 所以才选的我? |
[03:04] | I picked you because his current lawyer is over his head. | 我选你是因为他目前的律师没能力办案 |
[03:08] | And you’re one of the best criminal defense attorneys I know. | 而你是我知道的最好的刑事辩护律师之一 |
[03:11] | And you’re black. | 还有 你是黑人 |
[03:14] | Mr. Macklin asked for you by name. | Macklin点名要你 |
[03:18] | He asked for me? | 他点名要我? |
[03:20] | I don’t much like being the judge on this any more than you enjoy being the attorney. | 比起你来当他的律师 我更不想当审理这案子的法官 |
[03:24] | Let’s just give him the fairest trial we can | 让我们尽力给他一次公证的审讯 |
[03:26] | and eliminate at least one possible grounds for appeal. | 至少少一个让他上诉的理由 |
[03:34] | Your Honor sounds biased. | 法官大人 你听上去有偏见 |
[03:36] | Your Honor will remain impartial and guarantee the defendant a fair trial. | 法官大人我绝对不偏不倚 保证进行一次公证的审讯 |
[03:41] | Speaking personally,I hate the bastard. | 私底下说 我恨这畜牲 |
[03:46] | Meet your new client,and let’s get going. | 去见你的委托人 我们开始吧 |
[04:24] | The Practice S8E05 | |
[04:31] | You took the case? | 你接了? |
[04:32] | I was ordered to take it. It’s not like I had a choice. | 是命令我接的 别无选择 |
[04:35] | Jimmy,I want you with me. | Jimmy 我要你一起来 |
[04:36] | No. No,no- | 不 不 不… |
[04:38] | Ellenor,can you cover for me on Roland Huff? | Ellenor 你能代替我来办Roland Huff的案子吗? |
[04:39] | Actually,I can’t. I- | 事实上我不行 我… |
[04:41] | Alan,get the file from Tara. | Alan 从Tara那拿资料 |
[04:42] | If you need help,get it. | 如果你需要帮助 就开口 |
[04:44] | This is a murder case. | 这是件凶杀案 |
[04:45] | Jimmy,let’s go. | Jimmy 我们走 |
[04:47] | If I need help¡ | 如果我需要帮助… |
[04:49] | Jamie. Melissa Kenner. | Jamie Melissa Kenner来了 |
[04:50] | Who’s Melissa Kenner? | 谁是Melissa Kenner? |
[04:51] | You inherited her from Rebecca Washington. | Rebecca Washington走了后该你接手的 |
[04:54] | She’s been on your schedule. | 在你日程表里 |
[04:55] | Oh,where is she now? | 她现在在哪? |
[04:56] | I put her in Eugene’s office. | 我让她在Eugene办公室等 |
[04:57] | Tara,I’ll need the file on Roland Huff,please. | Tara 我需要Roland Huff案子的资料 |
[05:00] | Why? | 为什么? |
[05:02] | Why? | 为什么? |
[05:03] | Because I’m now handling it. | 因为我现在接手了 |
[05:05] | Is that a problem? | 有问题吗? |
[05:07] | I’ll get the file. | 我去拿 |
[05:09] | I’m assuming it won’t be a problem. | 那我就当是没问题了 |
[05:11] | We’re both adults. | 我们都是大人了 |
[05:12] | We should be able to suppress our respective urges. | 我们应该能克制各自的冲动 |
[05:16] | Would I be wrong? | 没说错吧? |
[05:18] | I find an urge to be much like a thirst. | 我发现冲动就像是口渴 |
[05:21] | Suppression is best achieved by quenching. | 克制的最好办法就是解渴 |
[05:27] | You’ll bring me the file personally? | 资料你亲自送来? |
[05:31] | Would you like it personally? | 你想我亲自送来吗? |
[05:39] | We were on our way to Kingston to see my parents. | 我们在去金斯敦见我父母的路上 |
[05:42] | Amanda’s never met her grandparents. | Amanda还从没见过她的外公外婆 |
[05:45] | Amanda’s your daughter? | Amanda是你的女儿? |
[05:47] | Miss Washington didn’t tell you any of this? | Washington小姐什么都没有告诉你吗? |
[05:49] | Oh,well,she did. But it was a while ago | 嗯 她说了 但那是之前的事了 |
[05:52] | and I should get it from you,anyhow. | 何况我还是得听你亲口说 |
[05:54] | Okay. Well,we had just boarded here at Logan. | 好吧 我们刚在这里的罗根机场登记 |
[05:57] | I’d been on the plane maybe ten minutes | 我在飞机上呆了大概10分钟 |
[06:00] | when suddenly airport security comes and tells me I have to get off. | 突然机场保安出现 让我下飞机 |
[06:03] | Why? | 为什么? |
[06:05] | Because I was too fat to fly. | 因为我太胖了 不能载我 |
[06:08] | Rebecca didn’t tell you that part? | Rebecca也没告诉你这个? |
[06:10] | No,she did,she did. | 不 她说了 她说了 |
[06:12] | Who specifically asked you to leave? | 具体是哪个人让你下飞机的? |
[06:15] | The flight attendant. | 是空姐 |
[06:17] | I was “encroaching.” That’s the word she used. | 我”霸占了地盘” –她的原话 |
[06:21] | She said I was invading the seat next to me. | 她说我占用了我隔壁的座位 |
[06:23] | The flight was full. They needed the space. Voices got raised. | 飞机满了 他们需要空间 我们就吵起来了 |
[06:28] | It was awful. | 那时太糟糕了 |
[06:29] | And this happened in front of the other passengers? | 是当着其他乘客的面? |
[06:32] | Never mind other people. In front of my daughter. | 其他人无所谓 重要的是在我女儿面前 |
[06:37] | And then,people started yelling for me to get off. | 然后 大家开始叫着让我下飞机 |
[06:40] | I paid for my ticket like anyone else. | 和别人一样 我也付了钱 |
[06:43] | I told her I wasn’t goin’ anywhere. | 我告诉她我哪儿都不去 |
[06:45] | So they had security drag me out. | 所以他们就让保安把我拖下了飞机 |
[06:50] | You were physically removed? | 你被强行带走了? |
[06:53] | You don’t know my case at all! | 你根本不知道我的案子! |
[06:55] | I do,but- | 我知道 只是… |
[06:56] | Miss Washington barely returned my calls, | Washington小姐几乎不回我电话 |
[06:58] | then she fobs it off on you and now you don’t know the first thing about it. | 接着她把这推到你身上 而你压根一点都不了解情况 |
[07:02] | I should make a complaint. That’s what I should do. | 我要投诉 我该这么做 |
[07:04] | Melissa- | |
[07:05] | It’s not like I’m asking for much,just my fare back, | 我要求的不多 只是我的机票钱 |
[07:07] | plus maybe a little somethin’. | 或许一点别的 |
[07:09] | But you people can’t be bothered,can you? | 但你这些家伙才不关心呢 是不是? |
[07:11] | Melissa,I’m on the case. Okay? | Melissa 案子我在处理 好吗? |
[07:46] | Jon Macklin? | |
[07:47] | Jonathan. Thank you for coming. | 叫我Jonathan 谢谢你们来这儿 |
[07:51] | This is James Berluti. He works with me. | 这位是James Berluti 我助手 |
[07:53] | Well thank you both so much for taking my case. | 谢谢你们能接下我的案子 |
[07:56] | We were ordered to. | 我们是被法官命令的 |
[07:58] | Yes,well,I understand your reluctance. | 是的 我能明白你的不情愿 |
[08:04] | Please,sit. | 请坐吧 |
[08:15] | You’re aware that the prosecution intends to paint me as a racial extremist. | 你们注意到了 这次起诉 想我把抹黑成一个激进的种族主义者 |
[08:20] | By hiring you,I hope to undercut that assertion. | 雇用你 是想降低这种色彩 |
[08:25] | As accurate as that may be. | 或许那跟本没错 |
[08:29] | I’m an educator,Mr. Young. Nothing more. | 我是名教育家 Young先生 如此而已 |
[08:31] | My mission is to help people to improve their lives. | 我的使命是去帮助人们 让他们活得更好 |
[08:35] | White people. | 白种人 |
[08:36] | Yes. My people. | 是的 我的人 |
[08:40] | I run a youth outreach program to help troubled teens. | 我开展了一项年轻人延伸计划 来帮助问题少年 |
[08:44] | I help the unemployed reverse their misfortune. | 我帮助失业者改变他们的不幸 |
[08:46] | My church exists,you see,to aid the disenfranchised. | 我的教会 你可以看到 是去援助那些被剥夺了公民权利的人 |
[08:50] | To restore to them what is rightfully theirs. | 把属于他们的东西交还给他们 |
[08:52] | Even if it means committing murder to do it. | 哪怕为了这个目的去杀人 |
[09:00] | I am not involved in any murder,Mr. Berluti. | 我没有和任何谋杀案扯上关系 Berluti先生 |
[09:05] | I would encourage you to study my teachings. | 我会鼓励你研究一下我的教学 |
[09:09] | I am not a violent man. | 我不是一个暴力的人 |
[09:12] | The shooter says you ordered him to kill. | 开枪者说是受你指使 |
[09:14] | The shooter,Mr. Daniel Grant,came to us as a runaway. | 开枪的是Daniel Grant 他是离家出走到了我们这儿 |
[09:20] | We gave him work. | 我们给了他一份工作 |
[09:22] | A sense of purpose. | 一个生活的目标 |
[09:24] | Now evidently he’s finding some purpose in implicating me in a crime I had no part of. | 而他现在出于某种目的 把一起我没犯下的罪行栽赃给我 |
[09:30] | His motive being? | 那他的动机呢? |
[09:31] | Well,I have many enemies,Mr.Young. | 我有很多敌人Young先生 |
[09:34] | The FBI taps my phone. | FBI窃听我的电话 |
[09:36] | State police track my people everywhere. | 国民警卫队到处跟踪我的人 |
[09:38] | My beliefs have made me a target, | 我的信仰让我成了众矢之的 |
[09:41] | and I think I’ve been set up. | 我想我是被陷害了 |
[09:44] | They couldn’t get to me legally, | 他们不能用合法的手段对付我 |
[09:45] | so they’ve done it illegally,using Mr. Grant. | 就用了非法的手段 利用Grant |
[09:51] | Now you can believe what you want to about me,Mr. Young. | 你想怎么看我都可以 Young先生 |
[09:55] | But if you look at the evidence, | 但是如果你看看证据 |
[09:58] | you won’t believe that I committed this crime. | 你不会相信这是我干的 |
[10:03] | I’m asking for your help. | 我寻求你的帮助 |
[10:06] | Will you help me? | 你能帮我吗? |
[10:13] | Is there a reason all of Rebecca’s cases have been dumped on me? | 把Rebecca的案子都扔给了我 这里面有没有什么原因? |
[10:16] | -First of all,they didn’t all get dumped on you. -Yes. | -首先 没有都扔给你 -是的 |
[10:20] | No,I’m waiting for Mr. Ashford. | 不 我在等Ashford先生 |
[10:22] | Is there a reason I have to place all my own calls? | 为什么我要来打所有的电话? |
[10:24] | Does Tara not work here? | 难道Tara不再这儿做了? |
[10:26] | She’s meeting with Roland. | 她在见Roland |
[10:28] | And for what it’s worth the case you refer to | 而且你所称的”扔给”你的案子 |
[10:30] | as being dumped on you sounds like a good one. | 听上去不错 |
[10:33] | Jamie,the airline just threw her off. | Jamie 航空公司把她扔下了飞机 |
[10:36] | -With her daughter. -Yes. | -还有她女儿 -是的 |
[10:38] | Mr.Ashford,my name is Jamie Stringer | Ashford先生 我叫Jamie Stringer |
[10:40] | and I represent Melissa Kenner. | 我是Melissa Kenner的律师 |
[10:43] | Kenner. Melissa-no,my name is Jamie. | Kenner…Melissa 不 我叫Jamie |
[10:52] | Roland,I want you to tell me everything that happened. | Roland 我要你告诉我发生的一切 |
[10:55] | You entered the house. Then what? | 你进了房间 然后呢? |
[11:00] | One second. | 等一下 |
[11:04] | Is that wise? | 这明智吗? |
[11:07] | Whatever he tells us,we’re stuck with. | 不管他告诉我们什么 我们都拿它们没办法 |
[11:09] | Suppose we should want to argue the elements? | 难道我们要去争论细节问题吗? |
[11:12] | Better for him not to tell us? | 是不是他不告诉我们比较好? |
[11:15] | That may be true,but¡ | 话是没错 但是… |
[11:19] | I’m dying to know. Aren’t you? | 我太想知道了 你不想吗? |
[11:22] | Okay,look- | 好吧 瞧… |
[11:24] | We’re arguing insanity. | 我们要用精神失常来辩护 |
[11:26] | For that we need to- | 所以我们需要… |
[11:31] | we need to know what happened. | 我们得知道发生了什么事 |
[11:33] | Exactly. | 每一件 |
[11:38] | Sorry to keep you waiting. | 抱歉让你久等了 |
[11:39] | Now,you came through the door. Then what? | 你进了门 然后呢? |
[11:45] | Well,I heard a sound. The same sound. | 我听见了声音 同样的声音 |
[11:49] | Which sound was that? | 是什么声音? |
[11:52] | The bed. | 是床发出的声音 |
[11:53] | And I knew what they were doing,so I went up there. | 我知道他们在干什么 所以我上了楼 |
[12:00] | This time they didn’t see me at first. | 这一次 他们并没有立刻发现我 |
[12:03] | They just kept going. | 没有停下来 |
[12:07] | And then I saw her look. | 然后我看见了她的眼神 |
[12:11] | She looked at me like she expected me to walk in on them | 她看着我 就像她料到我会进来撞见似的 |
[12:15] | and she was doing it all for my benefit. | 像是她这么做是为了我 |
[12:19] | She had this look in her eye. | 她的目光里那种眼神 |
[12:22] | Until she saw the gun. | 直到她看见我的枪 |
[12:24] | Then I can’t remember what happened. | 然后我就不记得了 |
[12:28] | They started saying something, but I couldn’t hear it. | 他们开始说些什么 但是我听不见 |
[12:32] | Their mouths were moving, but I don’t remember hearing anything. | 他们的嘴巴在动 但是我不记得听见了什么 |
[12:36] | I just keep seeing the look in her eye when she saw me. | 我眼前不断浮现她发现我时的眼神 |
[12:40] | Watching me watch her. | 盯着看着她的我 |
[12:43] | Then I guess I shot the gun. Twice. | 我想我开了枪 两下 |
[12:51] | Then the bed stopped squeaking. | 然后床不再嘎吱作响了 |
[12:55] | And everything stopped. | 一切都停了下来 |
[13:01] | May I ask,where did the gun come from? | 我想问问 枪是从哪儿来的 |
[13:05] | I kept it locked in the den. | 是我锁在书房里的 |
[13:09] | When I heard the bed,I knew. | 当我听见床的嘎吱声时 我就明白了 |
[13:12] | And I grabbed it. | 然后我抓起了它 |
[13:15] | I loved her too much,I guess. | 我一定是太爱她了 |
[13:19] | I had to shoot her. | 我不得不开枪打死她 |
[13:34] | Look,I don’t think your client really wants the publicity. | 瞧 我不认为你的委托人想公开这件案子 |
[13:36] | A big airline physically removes a peaceful passenger who paid her fare, | 大型航空公司强迫把付了机票钱的乘客赶下飞机 |
[13:41] | because she’s fat? | 就因为她的肥胖? |
[13:43] | Well,I could argue the merits. | 我可以把是非曲直争个清楚 |
[13:44] | You have them? | 你有理吗? |
[13:45] | Actually,yes. | 实际上 是的 |
[13:47] | She was taking up another passenger’s seat. | 她占了另一名乘客的座位 |
[13:51] | A passenger who was also peaceful and had also paid full fare. | 一个同样和蔼的 也全额支付了机票钱的乘客 |
[13:55] | The reason my client was “encroaching” probably had more to do | 我的委托人之所以”霸占”了那地方 |
[13:59] | with you making the seats smaller to serve the bottom line. | 应该和你们最大限度的把椅子改小了更有关系吧 |
[14:02] | Well,as I said,we could argue the merits. | 嗯 就像我说的 我能和你辩论这些 |
[14:05] | But since you bring up the bottom line, | 但是既然你提到了底线问题 |
[14:07] | Miss Stringer,why don’t we just get to that? | Stringer小姐 为什么我们不说说这个呢 |
[14:09] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[14:10] | You missed your filing deadline. | 你错过了案子的起诉期 |
[14:13] | What? | 什么? |
[14:14] | The statute of limitations for suing us has expired. | 起诉我们的时效已经超过了 |
[14:22] | Our claim would be emotional distress for that. | 很不幸地告诉你 |
[14:24] | We have three years to file. | 我们有三年的起诉时间 |
[14:25] | In Massachusetts. | 那是在麻省 |
[14:27] | But your client was on an international flight. | 但是你的委托人是在一班国际航线上 |
[14:29] | That means it was covered by the rules of the Warsaw Convention. | 这意味着它是受华沙条约的约束 |
[14:32] | You had two years. Which were up last month. | 你只有两年 是在上个月到期 |
[14:37] | I really should report this oversight to the Bar,truth be told. | 说实话 我真应该把这个上报律师协会 |
[14:43] | But you seem like a conscientious young woman. | 但你看上去是个善良的年轻女士 |
[14:48] | I’m going to pretend we never had this meeting. | 那我就假装我们之间根本没有这次会晤吧 |
[14:58] | Tara,we missed the deadline. | Tara 我们错过了最后期限 |
[14:59] | The what? | 什么? |
[15:00] | The filing deadline. | 上诉期 |
[15:01] | The statute of limitations told on the airline case. | 航空器案件的时效期 |
[15:04] | We can’t sue! | 我们不能起诉了! |
[15:05] | W-Why didn’t anyone tell me? | 为…为什么没有人告诉我? |
[15:06] | Slow down! | 慢点! |
[15:07] | Did Rebecca never file a complaint? | 难道之前Rebecca从没递过起诉状吗? |
[15:09] | I was brought into this late,Jamie,I don’t- | 我也很晚才接触到 Jamie 我不… |
[15:10] | What’s going on? | 发生什么事了? |
[15:12] | This is private. | 这是私事 |
[15:15] | Well it sounds like a crisis. I so enjoy them. | 听上去像是场危机 我很喜欢来插一脚 |
[15:17] | Alan-Jamie said this is private. | Alan…Jamie说了是私事 |
[15:25] | What am I going to do? | 我该怎么办? |
[15:26] | The first thing? You’re not going to panic. | 首先 不要慌张 |
[15:29] | This case is dead. I missed a deadline. | 这案子没戏了 我错过了期限 |
[15:31] | It’s malpractice. | 这是玩忽职守! |
[15:32] | Calm. Are we calm? | 冷静 冷静了吗? |
[15:35] | Let’s talk to Eugene. | 让我们找 Eugene谈 |
[15:37] | -No! -Jamie. | -不! |
[15:38] | No! He is the last person I want to know about this. | 不 他是我最不想告诉的人 |
[15:40] | We’re not being calm. | 这不够镇定喔 |
[15:47] | What’s up? | 什么事? |
[15:48] | What’s up is our man may be innocent. | 事情就是我们那家伙也许真是无辜的 |
[15:51] | What? | 什么? |
[15:52] | I say may. | 我是说也许 |
[15:54] | The case is circumstantial,Jimmy. | 案子的确有背景 Jimmy |
[15:55] | I’ve been going through all his published articles and he’s right. | 我彻底看了一遍他发表的文章 他是对的 |
[15:59] | None of them advocates violence. | 没有一篇是崇尚暴力的 |
[16:01] | Why would the kid say he was ordered if- | 如果是这样 那孩子为什么要说是他指使… |
[16:04] | I don’t know. Maybe to cut a deal. | 我不知道 可能是有交易 |
[16:07] | I want you to talk to him. | 我想让你找他谈谈 |
[16:09] | The shooter? | 那个杀手? |
[16:10] | Well,he’s been talking to the press. | 既然他已经和媒体说过话 |
[16:11] | His lawyer can’t stop him. He might talk to you. | 律师没能阻止他 或许他也会对你开口 |
[16:14] | I’m going to continue going through Macklin’s papers. | 我要继续看Macklin的文章 |
[16:17] | You really think he could be innocent? | 你真的觉得他可能是无辜的? |
[16:22] | Talk to the shooter. | 找开枪的人谈谈 |
[16:25] | She just seemed so upset,maybe I could help. | 她看上去心烦意乱 或许我可以帮她 |
[16:27] | It’s private,Alan. I’m sorry. | 这是私事 Alan 抱歉 |
[16:30] | Come on. Throw me a bone. | 拜托 给我点甜头 |
[16:31] | I’ll throw you one. | 我也会点给你的 |
[16:33] | Where are you going,anyway? | 你这是要去哪儿? |
[16:34] | Off to see Roland. He wasn’t looking so good– | 去见Roland 他看上去不太好… |
[16:36] | You’re not going to visit Roland. | 你不能去见Roland |
[16:39] | He was coming unraveled. Did you not see that? | 他要崩溃了 你没看出来吗? |
[16:41] | I did. And unraveled is in his best legal interests. | 我瞧见了 崩溃对他来说是最好的 |
[16:44] | He’s meeting with the court psychologist today | 他今天要和法庭指派的心理学家见面 |
[16:47] | who hopefully will find some diminished capacity. | 我们期待他会发现他身上一些异常 |
[16:51] | Let’s talk about Jamie. | 还是说说Jamie吧 |
[16:55] | Might it occur to you that I could help her? | 你脑子里有没有闪过我可以帮她的念头? |
[17:01] | She missed a filing deadline. | 她错过了一个起诉最后期限 |
[17:04] | Big case? | 大案子? |
[17:05] | Not terribly. | 不算太大 |
[17:07] | But if you were to ask the client¡ | 但是如果你去问委托人… |
[17:10] | Any suggestions? | 有什么建议吗? |
[17:12] | Well,not that Jamie would ever do such a thing, | 嗯 这决不是Jamie会做的事 |
[17:15] | but if it were me,I would just tell the client that we settled | 但如果是我 我会告诉委托人事情解决了 |
[17:18] | and pay them out of my own pocket | 然后自掏腰包付钱给他们 |
[17:19] | and avoid the whole malpractice thing. | 来避免这场玩忽职守带来的麻烦 |
[17:22] | That’s fraud,Alan. | 这是作假 Alan |
[17:24] | I said if it were me. | 我说了如果那人是我 |
[17:26] | Is there anything that you wouldn’t do? | 还有什么你做不出的事吗? |
[17:29] | For example? | 比如? |
[17:36] | Alan,what are you doing? | Alan 你在干什么? |
[17:38] | I was only trying to bed Tara. | 我只是在拐Tara上床 |
[17:41] | I promise. | 我发誓 |
[17:48] | Mr. Macklin saved my life. | Macklin先生救了我的命 |
[17:50] | I would never betray him,Mr. Berluti. | 我决不会背叛他的 Berluti先生 |
[17:52] | But see,you’re saying he ordered you to kill a guy. | 但是瞧 你说是他指使你去杀人 |
[17:56] | Well first,that’s what happened. And- | 首先 的确是这么回事 然后… |
[17:59] | He claims he never told you to execute anybody. | 他声称他从没让你去处决任何人 |
[18:02] | Mr. Macklin is a man of great principle. | Macklin先生是个很有原则的人 |
[18:05] | He’s a man who is profoundly honest | 为人正直诚实 |
[18:08] | and I believe,on a fundamental level, | 我相信 在一定程度上 |
[18:11] | he’s taking pride in my truthfulness. | 他为我的诚实感到骄傲 |
[18:14] | That having been said,it would be understandable for him | 我已经说过了 在案件的侦查过程中 |
[18:17] | to be fearful during this very trying or deal. | 他产生了害怕情绪是可以理解的 |
[18:20] | You’re saying this profoundly honest man is lying. | 你是说这个正直诚实的人在撒谎 |
[18:27] | I think we need to pray for him. | 我想我们该为他祈祷 |
[18:30] | Pray for him? | 为他祈祷? |
[18:32] | Mr. Berluti,I would agree. | Berluti先生 我同意说 |
[18:34] | Mr. Macklin’s teachings have never called for murder. | Macklin从没教人去杀人 |
[18:38] | Perhaps,consumed by anger,he became lost. | 或许 是因为愤怒让他迷失了自己 |
[18:42] | But I have always been very clear specifically in my devotion to him. | 但在为他赴汤蹈火的时候 我是很清醒的 |
[18:46] | I’ve never wavered. | 我从没动摇过 |
[18:49] | I killed Arnold Coleman because Mr. Macklin told me to. | 我杀了Arnold Coleman 因为Macklin让我这么做 |
[18:57] | Out of my own pocket? | 我自己掏钱? |
[18:58] | I’m not advising it. | 我没有这么建议 |
[19:00] | It’s just something that Alan sort of proposed. | 这只是Alan提出的一个想法 |
[19:02] | Jamie,this is malpractice. | Jamie 这是玩忽职守 |
[19:05] | Black and white. | 一清二楚 |
[19:06] | You missed a filing deadline. | 你错过了起诉期间 |
[19:08] | Sometimes judges forgive late filings | 有时候法官会原谅过期起诉 |
[19:10] | and I’m not going to cover up one offense with another. | 而我不会错上加错的 |
[19:13] | Are you kidding? | 你是在开玩笑吗? |
[19:14] | As I said. I’m not advising it. | 我说过了 我没有这么建议 |
[19:18] | Is she in there? | 她在里面吗? |
[19:20] | With a scowl on her face. | 脸色不好看 |
[19:29] | Melissa,hey. | Melissa 嘿 |
[19:30] | This is my daughter,Amanda. | 这是我女儿 Amanda |
[19:33] | Hi Amanda. | 嗨 Amanda |
[19:34] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[19:35] | I was thinking,since she got thrown off the plane,too, | 我在想 既然她也被赶下了飞机 |
[19:38] | maybe we could amend our complaint and add her,for extra sympathy. | 或许我们可以更改下起诉状 把她也加进去 得到额外的同情 |
[19:43] | Uh,that’s,uh. Melissa,I have something to tell you. | 厄 事情是…Melissa 我有事情要告诉你 |
[19:50] | What? | 什么? |
[19:53] | For some¡uh¡sometimes¡ | 因为…厄…有时候… |
[20:01] | what I’m trying to say is that,incredibly, | 我要说的是非常不可思议的事 |
[20:09] | the defendant has offered to settle. | 被告提出了和解 |
[20:12] | They have? | 是吗? |
[20:13] | Yes. They are going to refund your full fare-yours too, Amanda | 是的 他们要全额退还你们的机票钱 还有你的 Amanda |
[20:17] | -and get this,this is the best part. | 然后最棒的是… |
[20:20] | They’ve agreed to pay you ten thousand dollars. | 他们同意赔偿你1万美金 |
[20:23] | What? | 什么? |
[20:24] | Yes. I met with them. | 是的 我和他们见了面 |
[20:26] | I got tough and they just folded. It’s fantastic. | 我态度强硬 他们就认输了 真是太棒了 |
[20:29] | Oh my God. Oh my Go- | 我的天 我的… |
[20:35] | tell them no. | 告诉他们没门 |
[20:37] | What? | 什么? |
[20:38] | I’ve thought about it. | 我想过了 |
[20:39] | What they did can’t be fixed with money. | 他们的所作所为不是用钱就能弥补的 |
[20:41] | Melissa,everything can be fixed with money. | Melissa 什么事都能用钱来补偿 |
[20:43] | I want my day in court. | 我要在法庭上扬眉吐气 |
[20:45] | Your day? Whoa,hold on. | 扬眉吐气? 哇 等一下 |
[20:46] | I want to put the word out. | 我要他们都听到我的声音 |
[20:48] | We could lose in court. | 上法庭我们可能会输掉 |
[20:50] | I think you should take the money,don’t you,Amanda? | 我想你该收下钱 Amanda |
[20:52] | My mind is made up. | 我已经有决定了 |
[20:54] | Okay,okay,clients sometimes let emotions govern their decisions. | 好吧 好吧 有时候委托人会感情用事 |
[20:57] | It’s my job to step in as objective- | 我的工作就是理智地… |
[21:00] | I’m not— | 我没有… |
[21:01] | Okay,take the money! | 好了 把钱收下! |
[21:04] | She’s yelling at us. | 她在吼咱们 |
[21:08] | I just – I just want you to be happy. | 我只是…我只是希望你能开心 |
[21:14] | I want my day in court. | 我要上法庭 |
[21:17] | If they’re offering me ten,there’s gotta be more. | 如果他们愿意给我1万 那肯定不止这些 |
[21:20] | The way they treated me. | 想想他们是怎么对我的 |
[21:22] | We’re going to trial. | 我们要起诉 |
[21:32] | The news isn’t good,Roland. | 消息不太好 Roland |
[21:33] | What’s the matter? | 怎么了 |
[21:34] | Well,the state psychologist finds you competent to stand trial, | 法庭指定的心理学家认为你完全能参加审讯 |
[21:38] | which we anticipated. | 这是我们所料到的 |
[21:39] | But moreover,in his judgment, | 但是还有 在他看来 |
[21:42] | you fully understood the nature and quality of your actions. | 你完全能明白自己行为的意义和实质 |
[21:46] | Basically,he won’t support our insanity defense. | 根本上说 他不支持我们的精神失常辩护 |
[21:51] | Did you expect him to? | 你期待他支持吗? |
[21:52] | Well,I was hopeful. | 嗯…我希望过 |
[21:53] | Now,listen,I’ve hired our own expert. | 听着 我已经雇了我们自己的专家 |
[21:56] | Very expensive. Highly pedigreed. | 价格不菲 但是绝对专业 |
[21:58] | He could be an enormous part of our case. | 他将是我们案子非常重要的一部分 |
[22:01] | It’s important when you meet with him to act nutty. | 有一点很重要 你见到他时要表现得疯点 |
[22:04] | Alan! | |
[22:05] | I’m certainly not suborning false testimony or demeanor. | 我当然不是教唆你做伪证或类似行为 |
[22:09] | Be yourself. | 做你自己 |
[22:11] | But that little fist-tapping thing you do¡ | 但是你常用拳头敲桌子… |
[22:14] | do that. | 要做一做 |
[22:15] | Alan! | |
[22:16] | Also,the part where mouths were moving | 还有 看到张着的嘴巴 |
[22:19] | but you didn’t hear words coming out. | 但什么都听不见 |
[22:21] | Be sure to include that. | 这点也要透露给他 |
[22:23] | And,if true of course,don’t forget to mention | 当然了 如果的确是事实 那别忘了说 |
[22:26] | that you have no memory of squeezing a trigger. | 你不记得自己扣下了扳机 |
[22:33] | You’re a lovely,sweet man,Roland. | 你是个善良和蔼的人 Roland |
[22:37] | But our whole case rests on your coming off as a loon. | 但我们的案子只能靠你装疯卖傻了 |
[22:51] | Now I have a duty to report you. | 现在我有义务去举报你 |
[22:52] | I prefaced everything with “if true.” | 我在每句前都加了”如果是真的” |
[22:55] | You just coached a witness to act crazy. | 你刚才在教一个证人怎么扮疯子 |
[22:58] | Nonsense. I said “be yourself.” | 胡说 我说了”做你自己” |
[22:59] | Alan. | |
[23:00] | Tara. | |
[23:03] | Did you hear the part about sweet,lovely man? | 你有听到我说他是个善良和蔼的人吗 那一点没错 |
[23:06] | Do you want that sweet,lovely man to go to prison for the rest of his life? | 你想让这个善良和蔼的人在监狱里度过余生吗 |
[23:09] | I’m not talking about observation in a hospital until he’s cured, | 这不是在个医院里接受观察 直到他康复 |
[23:12] | I’m talking about prison. | 我说的是”监狱” |
[23:14] | For the rest of his life. | 度过他的余生 |
[23:15] | -That’s not what this is about. I- -That’s exactly what this is about. | -那和这无关 我… -恰恰就是有关系 |
[23:18] | That’s what it’s always about. | 一直都有关系 |
[23:21] | You’re not here to serve a process | 你在这里不是为了审讯而服务 |
[23:24] | or an adversarial system second to none in the world. | 或是作为世上最好的司法体系里的一员 |
[23:28] | If you’re lucky, | 如果你运气好 |
[23:31] | you’ll have the opportunity every once in a great while | 你在茫茫岁月里就能有幸 |
[23:35] | to defend a decent human being who really doesn’t belong in prison. | 为一个不该进监狱的好人辩护 |
[23:40] | You’ve got one here. | 你现在已经碰上了 |
[23:44] | You know what you do in this situation,Tara? | 你知道在这种情形下 你该做什么吗 Tara? |
[23:46] | Whatever you can. | 尽你所能 |
[23:49] | Nothing more,but nothing less. | 竭尽全力 不留余力 |
[24:02] | You lied to her? | 你对她撒了谎? |
[24:03] | Yes. And she turned down the offer | 是的 而她拒绝了 |
[24:06] | and now she wants to go to trial, | 现在她想上法庭 |
[24:07] | and I don’t know what to do. | 我不知道该怎么办了 |
[24:09] | -Jamie,how- -I know! It was stupid. But- | -Jamie 你怎么… -我知道! 这很蠢 可是… |
[24:12] | Oh my God. | 我的天 |
[24:13] | So this woman thinks the airline offered her ten thousand dollars? | 那这个女人以为航空公司愿意付她1万美元? |
[24:17] | When we’re barred for even suing because I missed the stupid deadline. | 当时这么做可以免予被举报 就因为我错过了那个愚蠢的起诉期 |
[24:20] | This is Rebecca’s fault! | 这都是Rebecca的错! |
[24:21] | No,it’s yours,and one you’ve compounded unbelievably. | 不 是你的错 而且不敢相信的是 你还把它弄得更复杂了 |
[24:25] | Look,just help me. | 瞧 只要你帮我 |
[24:27] | Can you do that? | 可以吗 |
[24:28] | I’m not really sure how. | 可我不知道该怎么帮 |
[24:31] | I think we have to tell Eugene. | 我想我们该去告诉Eugene |
[24:32] | No! I cannot look at myself through his judgment, | 不 我不能看上他那双指责 |
[24:35] | intolerant,unforgiving,vicious eyes. | 偏执 无情 凶神恶煞的眼睛 |
[24:37] | Forget it. | 算了吧 |
[24:38] | This,the man you sleep with. | 这个是和你上床的男人 |
[24:40] | I’ve come to you. | 我是向你求救 |
[24:43] | Not him. | 不是他 |
[24:46] | Please. | 求你了 |
[24:50] | Okay. First,we all commit and get sued for malpractice. | 好吧 首先 我们要先去认错 接受玩忽职守的指控 |
[24:56] | It’s why we have insurance. | 这是我们有职业保险的原因 |
[24:57] | I’ve only been out of law school for two years. | 我从法学院毕业才两年 |
[24:59] | I didn’t want it on my record. | 我不想这出现在我的档案里 |
[25:01] | It would be the only thing on my record. | 这会成为我档案里唯一的一条记录 |
[25:03] | Second. To lie to a client- | 其次 对委托人撒谎… |
[25:05] | I know,I didn’t plan it. | 我知道 我不是故意的 |
[25:06] | It just came out. | 只是一时的念头 |
[25:08] | Jamie. The only thing you can do now is correct it. | Jamie 你现在唯一能做的就是改正它 |
[25:11] | Tell your client the truth. | 把真相告诉你的委托人 |
[25:13] | Ellenor,she was ready to call the Bar on me before. | Ellenor 她原本就准备要去律师协会告我 |
[25:16] | This woman will hold a press conference,trust me. | 这女人会开个新闻发布会大书特书的 相信我 |
[25:20] | When she feels wronged-that’s why I’m in this trouble. | 当她觉得受到不公的时候… 所以我才会有现在的麻烦 |
[25:26] | Can you please talk to her and convince her | 你能不能找她谈谈 说服她 |
[25:30] | it’s in her best interest to take the ten thousand dollars? | 收下那1万美元对她来说是最好的? |
[25:34] | No. I can’t do that. | 不 我办不到 |
[25:41] | I could lose my license over this. | 因为这事我可能会丢了执照 |
[25:43] | If she makes a thing about it, | 如果她把事情搞大了 |
[25:49] | I could get disbarred. | 我可能会失去律师资格 |
[25:53] | Jamie,you’ve made a horrible mistake. | Jamie 你犯了个严重的错误 |
[25:57] | The best advice I can give you is don’t make it worse. | 我能给你的最好建议就是别让事情更糟了 |
[26:08] | Once he got a hold of the building, | 他一得到房屋的产权 |
[26:10] | he immediately moved to evict Mr. Macklin. | 立刻把Macklin先生赶了出去 |
[26:13] | We’re talking now about the man you shot? | 现在我们说的是你开枪打死的人? |
[26:15] | Yes. Mr. Macklin had gone to court to oppose the eviction, | 是的 Macklin告上法庭 反对这项驱逐令 |
[26:20] | and upon suffering defeat-a very public defeat- | 结果失败了 当众输掉了官司 |
[26:25] | that’s when he told me of my mission. | 那时他告诉了我这项使命 |
[26:26] | Okay. You use the word “mission.” | 好的 你用了”使命”这个词 |
[26:30] | Did Mr. Macklin ever use the word “kill”? Or “execute”? | Macklin先生有用过”杀死”或者”处死”吗? |
[26:34] | He used the word “eliminate.” | 他用的是”消灭” |
[26:36] | He said my mission was to eliminate Mr. Coleman. | 他说我的使命是去消灭Coleman |
[26:39] | Did you question it? | 你没有质疑吗? |
[26:42] | Did you say “hey,hold on,that’s murder. We don’t do that.”? | 你没有说”嘿 等等 那是谋杀 我们不能那么干”? |
[26:46] | No. | 没有 |
[26:47] | Why not? | 为什么不? |
[26:48] | Because,as I said,it was a mission,Mr. Berluti. | 因为我说过了 这是项使命 Berluti先生 |
[26:51] | Well,suppose Mr. Macklin said it was your mission to kill your own mother? | 那假设Macklin说杀死你自己母亲也是项使命呢? |
[26:57] | He would never say that. | 他决不会这么说的 |
[26:59] | Why not? | 为什么不? |
[27:02] | He had a great love for me. | 他很爱我 |
[27:04] | He still does,I believe. | 我相信现在仍是 |
[27:06] | Just as I continue to have great love for him. | 就如同我现在对他炙热的爱一样 |
[27:16] | A gay thing? | 同性恋? |
[27:17] | I’m tellin’ ya. | 我是这么说的 |
[27:18] | Not everything’s a gay thing,Jimmy. | 不是所有的事都能和它扯上关系 Jimmy |
[27:20] | Don’t make me out a homophobe,Eugene. | 别我当成是个恐同者 Eugene |
[27:22] | I’m tellin’ ya. Let’s just ask ‘im. | 我是这么说的 让我们去问问他吧 |
[27:33] | Do you need time to think it over? | 你需要时间想想吗? |
[27:36] | No,I do not,Mr. Berluti. | 不 不用 Berluti先生 |
[27:40] | My silence is meant to connote offense. | 我的沉默是暗示自己受到的冒犯 |
[27:44] | Homosexuality is against God. It is evil. | 同性恋是反上帝的 是罪恶的 |
[27:47] | Is it possible this boy has homosexual feelings towards you? | 有没有可能这个男孩对你有同性的好感? |
[27:50] | No,that is not possible. | 不 决不可能 |
[27:53] | Who is telling you this? | 谁告诉你的? |
[27:55] | I just detected¡. | 我自己发现的… |
[27:58] | Danny Grant is kind of¡ | Danny Grant有些… |
[27:59] | effeminate. | 女子气 |
[28:01] | He speaks of you with great affection. | 他说起你的时候带着强烈的爱意 |
[28:06] | Danny Grant is a loyal member of my church who became misguided. | Danny Grant是名误入歧途 后来归入我教会的成员 |
[28:11] | He acted unilaterally. | 他的举动都是出自他个人的 |
[28:14] | I’m sure he did so under the false assumption | 我确信他是出于错误的认为 |
[28:16] | that he was serving me or my church. | 他是在服务于我或者是我的教会 |
[28:19] | He’s neither expressed | 他没有表达过 |
[28:21] | nor manifested any evil homosexual intentions. | 也没有流露出任何罪恶的同性恋倾向 |
[28:29] | Look. This could be something to go with. | 瞧 这可能是有戏的地方 |
[28:33] | The victim defeated you publicly in court. | 被害人当众让你败在法庭上 |
[28:35] | The boy was in love with you | 这男孩爱着你 |
[28:37] | so he avenges your loss. | 所以要为你的损失报复 |
[28:39] | Then,maybe feeling rejected by you, | 然后 可能是觉得被你决绝了 |
[28:42] | he decides to say you ordered the hit. | 他决定要说是你指使的 |
[28:44] | There’s no homosexuality in my church,Mr. Young. | 在我教会里没有同性恋 Young先生 |
[28:48] | If you suggest as much,I will discharge you. | 如果你再这么说 我就换人 |
[28:58] | Was he enraged? Yes. | 他发怒了?是的 |
[28:59] | Heat of passion? Certainly. | 激情犯罪?当然 |
[29:01] | But insane? I don’t think so. | 但是精神失常?我不这么认为 |
[29:03] | Did he tell you the part about seeing mouths move | 他有没有告诉你 他看见嘴巴在动 |
[29:05] | and not hearing words come out? | 但是听不见任何声音? |
[29:07] | Yes,as he tapped his fists per your instructions. | 是的 他也按照你的指示敲拳头了 |
[29:09] | Look,your problem goes back to everything that transpired | 你的难题是在他进卧室之前 |
[29:13] | before he went into the bedroom. | 发生的事 |
[29:15] | He says he knew what was going on | 他说在他拿枪的时候 |
[29:16] | when he retrieved the weapon. | 已经知道发生了什么事 |
[29:17] | He likely formed intent down in his den. | 他是想好了才进的书房 |
[29:20] | Did he say that? | 他是这么说的? |
[29:20] | Well why else would he get the gun? To clean it? | 那他干嘛去拿枪呢?难道是为了擦它? |
[29:22] | What,are you a profiler now? | 怎么 你现在成犯罪专家了? |
[29:24] | No. I am a psychologist who is on your side | 不 我是站在你们这边的心理学家 |
[29:27] | and I am advising you not to go with insanity. | 而我建议你不要拿精神失常辩护 |
[29:31] | What about autonomism? | 那”自主行为”如何? |
[29:35] | Isn’t it possible that he got the gun to scare them, to threaten them, | 有没有这可能 他拿枪是为了吓唬他们 威胁他们 |
[29:38] | maybe even shoot them. | 甚至是向他们开枪 |
[29:41] | But once he went into the room | 但当他进了房间 |
[29:42] | and he saw his best friend screwing his wife, | 看到他最好的朋友在搞他老婆 |
[29:45] | everything after that was involuntary? | 一切就不受控制的发生了? |
[29:48] | So you’re saying he retrieved the gun downstairs- | 那你是说他在楼下拿着枪… |
[29:50] | I’m saying that even if he had a general intent to assault or kill | 我是说 就算他在楼下有想袭击或者杀人的念头 |
[29:53] | when he was downstairs, | 那也是在楼下 |
[29:54] | that once he went into the room, | 但当他进了屋子 |
[29:56] | and he saw what he saw, | 看见了那一切 |
[29:59] | he then went into automatic pilot. Isn’t that possible? | 他进入了”大脑自动运行状态” 有没有这种可能呢? |
[30:06] | Well¡I suppose- | 嗯…我想… |
[30:09] | That’s what happened! I can feel it in my heart. | 事情就是这样的 我完全相信! |
[30:11] | That’s precisely what happened. | 绝对就是这样子的 |
[30:14] | Wonderful! | 好极了! |
[30:16] | Tara,you’ve been holding back. | Tara 你真是被埋没的人才 |
[30:28] | I can’t let this proceed with you,Miss Wilson, | 我不能让你参与庭审 Wilson小姐 |
[30:30] | you’re not yet a member of the Bar. | 你还没获得律师资格 |
[30:32] | I’m sure Mr. Shore will be here imminently. | 我相信Shore会很快赶到的 |
[30:35] | Well that’s not good enough. | 但还不够快 |
[30:36] | Take Mr. Huff back into custody. | 把Huff送回关押 |
[30:38] | Call the next case. | 传讯下一个案子 |
[30:41] | I’m terribly sorry. | 我万分抱歉 |
[30:43] | Did I miss anything good? | 我有错过什么好事吗? |
[30:44] | Mr. Shore,I run a punctual,crisp courtroom. | Shore先生 我主持的法庭是严守时间 从不拖泥带水 |
[30:47] | I appreciate that,Your Honor. | 我很欣赏这点 法官大人 |
[30:48] | I apologize. I can make this very short. | 我道歉 我会长话短说 |
[30:50] | We only seek to change our plea. | 我们只是要改下抗辩 |
[30:52] | It’s a formality,it should take about two seconds. Hello. | 这是形式而已 只要两秒钟 你好 |
[30:55] | You’re changing your plea? To what? | 你要改变抗辩?改成什么? |
[30:57] | To not guilty by reason of autonomism. | 改成因为自主行为而请求无罪释放 |
[31:00] | What did you say? Auto¡matism? | 你说什么?自主…行为? |
[31:03] | It’s actually one word,Your Honor. | 这是一个词 法官大人 |
[31:04] | It basically means my client was not in control of his actions. | 意思是我的委托人失去对自己行为的控制 |
[31:08] | Well,I won’t let you argue that. | 嗯 我不会让你这样主张的 |
[31:10] | I beg your pardon? | 请再说一遍? |
[31:11] | You’ll not make a mockery of this court,counsel. | 我不会让你来嘲弄法庭的 律师 |
[31:15] | On what factual basis- | 用这种明显… |
[31:16] | Your Honor. If you walked in on your wife with your best friend, | 法官大人 如果你撞见你的妻子 和你最好的朋友在一起 |
[31:19] | wouldn’t you go a little blooey? | 你会不会失控呢? |
[31:39] | The last lawyer before me from your firm insulted the integrity of this room. | 上次你们事务所的律师就让这法庭的威严扫地 |
[31:43] | I will not let it happen again. | 我不会让这再发生的 |
[31:47] | I’m not liking you so far. How about this? | 目前我也不怎么喜欢你 你看这样如何? |
[31:50] | Deny my defense and I’ll get you tossed for abuse of judicial discretion | 否决我的辩护 然后我要你因为滥用自由裁量权 而吃不了兜着走? |
[31:53] | and we can be done with each other. Does that work for you? | 那我们之间就算结束了 你看行吗? |
[31:55] | Oh,you won’t be done with me,Mr. Shore. | 啊 你和我之间不会这么结束的 Shore先生 |
[31:58] | I assure you. | 我向你保证 |
[32:00] | Are you attracted to me,Judge? | 你是不是看上我了 法官? |
[32:05] | Our plea is not guilty by reason of autonomism. | 我们主张因为自主行为而无罪释放 |
[32:10] | Deal with it. | 接受它吧 |
[32:26] | This could be¡well,uh¡ | 这会…呃..嗯… |
[32:31] | there’s something you need to know,Melissa. | 有些事我得告诉你 Melissa |
[32:34] | I already know. | 我已经知道了 |
[32:36] | You do? | 你知道了? |
[32:37] | Yes,I do. | 是的 我知道 |
[32:39] | And all I can say is thank you. | 我能说的就是一句谢谢你 |
[32:44] | Mr. Torrance came to my house this morning. | Torrance先生今天早上来我家了 |
[32:46] | He actually drove right to my house. | 实际上他是专程来的 |
[32:49] | Mr. Torrence? | Torrance先生? |
[32:51] | From the airline. | 航空公司的 |
[32:53] | He told me how relentless you’ve been. | 他告诉了我你是多么坚持不懈 |
[32:54] | He even told me you offered to put up some of your own money if they’d match it. | 他说你甚至愿意自掏腰包来凑满那笔钱 |
[32:59] | Oh,uh,Mr. Torrance told you that? | 喔 厄 Torrance 先生是这么说的? |
[33:04] | And then he offered twenty-five thousand. | 然后他拿出了2万5千元 |
[33:06] | And something else. | 和别的 |
[33:08] | An apology. | 一个道歉 |
[33:11] | He said they were wrong. | 他说他们错了 |
[33:13] | He looked me right in the eye and told me how sorry he was. | 他看着我的眼睛 对我说他们有多抱歉 |
[33:18] | Then he did the same with Amanda. | 然后他对Amanda说了同样的话 |
[33:22] | Said he knew what his employees forgot. | 他说他知道公司的员工忘记了 |
[33:25] | That we’re human beings. | 我们也是人 |
[33:28] | Anyway,I accepted his offer. | 无论如何 我接受了 |
[33:31] | I probably should have called. Run it by your first. | 我应该打电话给你 让你也在当场 |
[33:34] | But the truth is,I got all I wanted. | 但是事实上 我已经得到了我想要的 |
[33:38] | So I said yes. | 所以我同意了 |
[33:41] | Thank you,Miss Stringer. | 谢谢你 Stringer小姐 |
[33:49] | I’ll never forget this. | 我永远不会忘记这一次 |
[34:02] | Conspiracy to commit murder,we’ll agree to ten. | 合谋杀人 我们同意给10年 |
[34:06] | Accessory,another ten. | 共犯 再加10年 |
[34:09] | Served concurrently. | 一并服刑 |
[34:12] | Mr. Young? | Young先生 |
[34:14] | It’s a start. | 这只是开始 |
[34:15] | A start? Your client ordered an execution. | 开始? 你的委托人指使了一场谋杀 |
[34:18] | The most he will serve is ten years. | 判他10年已经最少了 |
[34:20] | It seems like a fair offer,Mr. Young. | 这听上去很公平 Young先生 |
[34:23] | It is,but I can’t recommend it. | 是的 但是我不能向我的委托人推荐 |
[34:25] | Why not? | 为什么不? |
[34:25] | Because I’ve got a better-than-even chance of getting a “not guilty.” | 因为我有个大好机会来争取”无罪释放” |
[34:29] | Mr. Young,for everybody’s sake- | Young先生 看在所有人的份上 |
[34:31] | and I do mean everybody-a trial would be best avoided. | 我是说所有人…庭审最好还是免了吧 |
[34:35] | I’m not following. | 我不懂 |
[34:36] | Are you asking me to tank this? | 你想让我把它在庭下解决吗? |
[34:38] | No. I’m endorsing the District Attorney’s offer as a reasonable one. | 不 我同意检察官的给的条件是合理的 |
[34:42] | Ten years for murder is a bargain. | 谋杀罪才判10年是很划算的了 |
[34:44] | And the cost of going to trial would be immeasurable for all the players, | 而走上法庭对双方来说都是吃力不讨好的事 |
[34:48] | not to mention the City of Boston. | 更不用说是在这座城市里 |
[34:50] | -Those factors aren’t relevant. I don’t- -Are you kidding? | -这和这些有什么关系 我不… -你不是在说笑吧? |
[34:53] | The reason I plucked you in the first place is | 我当初选你 |
[34:55] | because of the racial ramifications. | 是出于你们不同的肤色 |
[34:57] | The city is rife- | 这城市里充斥着… |
[34:58] | This is a case I think I can beat, | 这案子我自认能打赢 |
[35:00] | given I will not recommend to my client he plead guilty. | 所以我不会建议我的委托人认罪 |
[35:08] | You plucked me,Judge. | 是你选的我 法官 |
[35:10] | You got me. | 那你就得让我来 |
[35:13] | Are you sure this is what you want,counsel? | 你确信这是你想要的吗 律师? |
[35:26] | I still can’t believe that he didn’t lock you up. | 我还是不敢相信他居然没有关你 |
[35:29] | I wish he had. It’d be easier to get rid of him. | 我倒希望他这么做 那摆脱他就更容易了 |
[35:32] | Next step,tap into your network. | 下一步 好好搜索网络 |
[35:34] | Find me a British expert on autonomism. | 找一个在自主行为方面的英国专家 |
[35:37] | Why British? | 为什么找英国人? |
[35:37] | Because the Americans think the British are smarter. | 因为美国人觉得英国人更聪明 |
[35:41] | Jamie! | |
[35:41] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[35:45] | Did you tell Alan about my little predicament? | 你是不是把我的小麻烦告诉了Alan? |
[35:48] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么? |
[35:50] | Is it Alan Shore,by the way? | 你是叫Alan Shore吧? |
[35:54] | Or Torrance? | 还是Torrance? |
[35:56] | I’ve never been good at riddles. | 我对猜谜从不擅长 |
[35:58] | It had to be you. Who else? | 一定是你 要不还会有谁呢? |
[36:04] | He went to Melissa Kenner and pretended to be someone from the airline | 他去了Melissa Kenner家 还假装是从航空公司来的人 |
[36:07] | and settled the case. | 然后解决了案子 |
[36:12] | You put up your own money? | 你拿出了自己的钱? |
[36:15] | All she really wanted was the apology. | 其实她真正想要的只是声道歉 |
[36:20] | Why would you do this? You barely know me. | 你为什么这么做? 你几乎不认识我 |
[36:22] | Well,any chance I get to break the law. | 我不放过任何可以违法的机会 |
[36:29] | I don’t know whether to thank you or to curse you | 我不知道该谢你 还是诅咒你 |
[36:34] | for getting me in even deeper. | 让我越陷越深 |
[36:38] | But I’m going to go with “thank you.” | 但我要决定说声谢谢 |
[36:51] | You put up your own money? | 你拿出了自己的钱? |
[36:54] | What’s going on? | 这是怎么回事? |
[36:55] | Meaning? | 什么意思? |
[36:56] | Meaning that you’re not that nice a fellow. | 意思是你可不是那种好心人 |
[36:59] | You know,I like to fantasize when I go to bed. | 你瞧 我睡觉前喜欢幻想 |
[37:02] | It helps me sleep. | 这能帮助我入睡 |
[37:04] | I’ve been having wonderful sessions with you in mind,actually. | 事实上 我的脑子里已经有一段和你美妙的画面 |
[37:09] | But with Jamie I keep hitting a block. | 但是Jamie一直让我无从下手 |
[37:12] | Sex isn’t all body parts for me,Tara, | 性爱对来说不只是肉体的 Tara |
[37:17] | it’s mental. | 还是精神上的 |
[37:18] | I’ve been sensing Jamie’s repelled by me for some reason. | 我意识到由于某种原因自己对Jamie产生了排斥 |
[37:23] | Now that I’ve perhaps courted her favor, | 而现在 我算是帮了她一个忙 |
[37:26] | I’m hoping that my fantasy could-have a life. | 希望这能让我继续幻想下去 |
[37:32] | Tara,whether I’m committing random acts of kindness | Tara 无论我偶然表现出的善举 |
[37:36] | or impersonating an airline executive | 假扮航空公司的行政人员 |
[37:39] | or even talking back to a judge | 还是和法官针锋相对 |
[37:40] | it’s always about getting the girl. | 这总是和泡妞有关的 |
[37:44] | Even if it’s only in your mind? | 就算这只是在你脑子里的自作多情? |
[37:46] | The one place I’m never disappointed. | 在那我从没失望过 |
[37:49] | You know what I love about your talk,Alan? | 你知道我为什么喜欢听你说话吗 Alan? |
[37:51] | Hmm? | 嗯? |
[37:51] | Is that it makes me feel safe. | 让我觉得安全 |
[37:52] | Does it,now? | 那现在呢? |
[37:53] | Hmmm. Because men who talk never do anything. | 嗯…因为光会说的男人从不行动 |
[37:59] | Would you like me to be a doer,Tara? | 你想让我做个行动派吗 Tara? |
[38:04] | I never make the first move. | 我从不先行动 |
[38:08] | It’s beneath me. | 这不是我的性格 |
[38:09] | I always make the first move. | 我总是先行动 |
[38:14] | But I’m not going to here. | 但这次我不这么打算 |
[38:18] | Happy to make the second. | 很甘心做第二个 |
[38:21] | Perhaps the third. | 或者是第三个(才行动的人) |
[38:25] | But you need to go first,Alan. | 但是你得先行动 Alan |
[38:31] | It needs to be you. | 那该是你 |
[38:33] | I think not. | 我想不是的 |
[38:35] | Oh,it will be. | 啊 会是的 |
[38:36] | Oh,it won’t. | 啊 不会的 |
[38:38] | I’m waiting,Tara. | 我在等 Tara |
[38:40] | Things are beginning to tingle. | 事情开始”变得疼痛”了 (暗指Tara因无法达到高潮而身体产生的疼痛感) |
[38:42] | I’m right here,Alan. | 我哪也不去 Alan |
[38:55] | Your instincts were correct. That offer is unacceptable. | 你的直觉是对的 这个条件不能接受 |
[38:58] | Look,I don’t mean to sound too confident. | 瞧 我不想听上去过分自信 |
[39:01] | In the public’s mind,you already stand convicted and-ten years? | 在公众眼里你已经被判有罪了 而十年? |
[39:04] | It’s not a bad deal. | 不算坏了 |
[39:06] | I would not last one day in prison,Mr. Young, | 我不会在监狱里呆一天的 Young先生 |
[39:09] | much less ten years. | 更不用说十年了 |
[39:12] | It’s not exactly my demographic. | 那不是我这样的人该呆的地方 |
[39:15] | Sorry? | 抱歉? |
[39:16] | I don’t mean to disparage you. | 我不是想诋毁你们 |
[39:18] | You think prisons are full of black people? | 你觉得监狱里都是黑人? |
[39:21] | We don’t need to get into this. | 我们没必要讨论这个 |
[39:23] | Oh,I’ve got time. | 啊 我有的是时间 |
[39:24] | Eugene- | |
[39:24] | Mr. Young. | Young先生 |
[39:29] | In this country there are more black men in prison | 在这个国家里 在监狱里的黑人 |
[39:32] | than there are in college,Mr. Young. | 要比大学里的多得多 |
[39:34] | That is not a white supremacist opinion. | 这并不是一个白人优越论 |
[39:37] | That is a fact. | 这是事实 |
[39:38] | And you don’t think that that has anything to do with the white society that has- | 而你不认为这和白人社会… |
[39:41] | All right. | 好…好了 |
[39:44] | Let’s just stick to the case. | 我们专心谈案子 |
[39:48] | The offer of ten years is officially rejected. | 我正式拒绝十年的提议 |
[39:53] | I did not kill anybody. | 我没有杀任何人 |
[39:57] | There won’t be any plea. | 我不会认罪的 |
[40:03] | Mr. Young,you and I need to get on the same side now. | Young先生 现在你得和我达成共识 |
[40:09] | My trial begins in six days. | 我的庭审还有六天就开始了 |
[40:13] | Mr. Macklin,I will give you the best defense I can. | Macklin先生 我会给你我最好的辩护 |
[40:18] | But you and I will never be on the same side. | 但是我和你永远不会达成共识 |
[40:25] | I am a human being. | 我也是人 |
[40:29] | I need you to see me as a human being. | 我要你把我当人看 |
[40:36] | Certainly you’re capable of doing that. | 这你肯定可以办得到 |