时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Previously on the Practice | |
[00:01] | The kids aren’t yours. They’re Richard’s. | 孩子不是你的 是Richard的 |
[00:04] | -Nancy! -What?! | -什么?! |
[00:05] | So drop this case, or you’ll never see them again. | 撤诉吧 否则你别想再见到他们 |
[00:09] | Roland! | |
[00:10] | I think I need a lawyer. | 我想我需要个律师 |
[00:12] | Not guilty by reason of autonomism. | 以自主行为为由请求无罪辩护 |
[00:14] | Auto¡matism? | 自主…行为? |
[00:16] | It’s actually one word, Your Honor. | 实际上是连起来的一个词 法官大人 |
[00:17] | It basically means my client was not in control of his actions. | 意思是说我的委托人当时不能控制自己的行为 |
[00:20] | Well, I won’t let you argue that. | 我不会让你用这个来辩护的 |
[00:22] | Deny my defense and I’ll get you tossed for abuse of judicial discretion | 如果你否决我的辩护 那我就用 “滥用司法裁量权” 整死你 |
[00:25] | and we can be done with each other. | 那我们之间就一了百了了 |
[00:26] | Oh, you won’t be done with me, Mr. Shore. | 你我之间不会了结的 Shore先生 |
[00:28] | I assure you. | 我对你保证 |
[00:29] | Our plea is not guilty by reason of autonomism. | 我们以自主行为进行无罪辩护 |
[00:33] | Deal with it. | 看着办吧 |
[00:36] | How do you mistakenly use my toothbrush? | 你怎么会误用我的牙刷呢? |
[00:40] | It is my toothbrush, used to clean my mouth. | 这是我的牙刷 用来清洁我的口腔 |
[00:43] | And I like the bristle dry. | 我喜欢毛刷是干的 |
[00:45] | I never said it was such a big deal– | 我又没说这要紧… |
[00:47] | I can promise you that your bristle won’t be getting wet tonight. | 我保证 今晚你的牙刷不会湿了 |
[00:51] | You have a new client, Mr. Young. His name is Jonathan Macklin. | 你有个新委托人 名字叫Jonathan Macklin |
[00:55] | Jon Macklin is a racist. | Jon Macklin是个种族主义者 |
[00:57] | Also a defendant. | 也是名被告 |
[00:58] | And a white supremacist. | 而且是白人优越论者 |
[01:00] | The victim was black. | 受害人是黑人 |
[01:01] | My mission is to help people to improve their lives. | 我的使命是改善大家的生活 |
[01:04] | White people. | 白人 |
[01:05] | My people. | 我的人 |
[01:06] | The shooter says you ordered him to kill. | 射击者说是受你指使 |
[01:08] | The shooter came to us as a runaway. | 他离家出走 跑来向我们求助 |
[01:11] | He said my mission was to eliminate Mr. Coleman. | 他说我的任务是消灭Coleman先生 |
[01:14] | Did you question it? | 你没质疑吗? |
[01:16] | No. | 没 |
[01:17] | Why not? | 为什么不? |
[01:18] | He had a great love for me. | 他很爱我 |
[01:19] | He still does, I believe. | 我相信 现在还是如此 |
[01:21] | Just as I continue to have great love for him. | 正如我依然热爱着他 |
[01:24] | Is it possible this boy has homosexual feelings towards you? | 有没有可能 这个男孩对你有同性的爱慕? |
[01:28] | There’s no homosexuality in my church, Mr. Young. | 我的教会里没有同性恋 Young先生 |
[01:31] | Your client ordered an execution. | 你的委托人下令杀人 |
[01:33] | The most he will serve is ten years. | 而我们只关他10年而已 |
[01:34] | It seems like a fair offer, Mr. Young. | 听上去很公平了 Young先生 |
[01:37] | There won’t be any plea. | 我不会认罪的 |
[01:40] | Mr. Young, you and I need to get on the same side now. | Young先生 你我最好达成共识 |
[01:44] | Mr. Macklin, I will give you the best defense I can. | Macklin 我会尽最大努力给你最好的辩护 |
[01:49] | But you and I will never be on the same side. | 但是你我是永远不会达成共识的 |
[01:57] | What kind of business was your dad in? | 你父亲是做什么生意的? |
[02:00] | Commercial real estate. | 商业房地产 |
[02:02] | He would buy properties and then try to flip them for a profit. | 他倒买倒卖 获取利润 |
[02:05] | And at some point, he bought the building where the defendant had his church? | 也就是说 他买进了被告教会所在的大楼? |
[02:09] | Yes. | 是的 |
[02:10] | He knew about Mr. Macklin’s organization. | 他听说过Macklin先生的组织 |
[02:13] | Institutional racism. That’s what he called it. | 机构性种族主义 他这么称呼它 |
[02:16] | He said it was up to people like us to do something about it. | 他说像我们这样的人得做些什么 |
[02:19] | So what exactly did he do? | 那他具体做了什么? |
[02:21] | Well after he bought the building he served a notice of eviction to Mr. Macklin. | 在买下大楼之后 他给Macklin下了驱逐令 |
[02:26] | To get his church out of there. | 让他的教会搬出那里 |
[02:27] | And what happened? | 然后发生了什么? |
[02:29] | Mr. Macklin went to court to fight the eviction. | Macklin先生起诉了 反对这项驱逐令 |
[02:32] | He lost. | 他输了 |
[02:34] | And then? | 然后呢? |
[02:35] | Mr. Macklin came up to my dad in the courtroom and said | Macklin在法庭上走到我父亲跟前说 |
[02:40] | “it wasn’t over.” | “这不算完” |
[02:43] | He just kept saying that. It isn’t over. | 不停地说”这不算完” |
[02:48] | The next day my dad was shot dead right in front of me. | 第二天我父亲就在我面前被打死了 |
[02:53] | I know that this is difficult, Mr. Coleman. | 我知道这不容易 Coleman先生 |
[02:57] | Could you tell us what you saw? | 你能说下你的所见吗? |
[03:00] | We were leaving work. | 我们下班准备离开 |
[03:04] | My dad and I walked out to his car, which was out front like it always is. | 父亲和我朝他的车子走去 和往常一样 它就停在外面 |
[03:09] | And a young man, | 然后一个年轻人 |
[03:11] | a white guy, | 一个白人 |
[03:14] | came up and started shooting. | 走上前 开始开枪 |
[03:17] | And shooting. | 一枪又一枪 |
[03:18] | Did he say anything? | 他有开口吗? |
[03:21] | Yes. | 有 |
[03:23] | After the gun was empty he turned to me and said, Courtesy of Jon Macklin. | 子弹都打完之后 他转过脸对我说 “来自Jon Macklin的问候” |
[04:02] | The Practice S806 | |
[04:09] | Next up is the shooter, Danny Grant. | 下个证人是开枪的Danny Grant |
[04:11] | Now there seems there’s no record of him before 1997. | 1997年之前都没有这个人的记录 |
[04:14] | Do you know if he has another name? | 你知道他还有别的名字吗? |
[04:16] | Many of my people change their names once | 我的很多成员都曾改名… |
[04:18] | I can’t be concerned with many people. | 现在我关心不了很多人 |
[04:21] | Not at the moment. | 现在没工夫 |
[04:22] | Only Danny Grant. | 只要Danny Grant一个人的 |
[04:23] | This kid could bury you, Mr. Macklin. | 这孩子能葬送你的余生 Macklin先生 |
[04:25] | Now if we could expose some prior record or | 如果我们能找到他之前的档案… |
[04:27] | I know what you’re trying to do. | 我知道你想干什么 |
[04:30] | You’re trying to expose a previous homosexual life. | 你想发现他之前的同性恋身份 |
[04:33] | I have no knowledge of any such history with Danny Grant. | 我不知道Danny Grant有这样的过去 |
[04:37] | Do you know anything? | 那有什么是你知道的? |
[04:39] | Just that he was a runaway. | 只知道他是离家出走 |
[04:42] | Who seemed like a terrific kid. | 看上去是个受惊的孩子 |
[04:45] | We need something, Mr. Macklin. | 我们总得知道点什么 Macklin先生 |
[04:47] | This kid is the prosecution’s whole case. | 这孩子是案子的关键 |
[04:50] | I can tell you he’s a liar. | 我能告诉你的就是他是个骗子 |
[04:54] | Because I never instructed him to shoot anybody. | 因为我从没唆使他去杀任何人 |
[05:00] | Whose sister? | 谁的姐姐? |
[05:01] | Richard’s. | Richard的姐姐 |
[05:04] | My best friend. | 我最好的朋友 |
[05:06] | The man I shot. | 我开枪打死的男人 |
[05:07] | Why do you want me to go see his sister? | 你为什么想让我去见他姐姐? |
[05:09] | Cuz… | 因为… |
[05:13] | Richard and I grew up next to each other. | Richard和我从小一起长大 |
[05:16] | My parents were never around, so I was pretty much raised by Richard’s family. | 我的父母总是不在 所以可以说我是被Richard一家养大的 |
[05:21] | And I was very close to his sister. | 而且我和他姐姐很亲近 |
[05:24] | I need for you to say how sorry I am. | 我需要你去为我向她道歉 |
[05:27] | How truly¡ | 非常地… |
[05:31] | Would you please tell her I’m sorry? | 你能告诉他我很抱歉吗? |
[05:34] | Yes. | 可以 |
[05:38] | Are you doing okay otherwise, Roland? | 你在里面还好吗 Richard? |
[05:41] | My head feels funny. | 我的脑袋很奇怪… |
[05:44] | I don’t handle loneliness well. | 我不太适应一个人呆着 |
[05:49] | How soon can I get out? | 要多快我才能出去? |
[05:54] | It’s going to take awhile. | 还要等一阵子 |
[05:57] | Can you move my trial date up? | 能让我的开庭时间提前吗? |
[05:59] | My head feels very funny. | 我的脑袋…非常滑稽 |
[06:04] | I-I’m not handling this well. | 我真的不太适应 |
[06:10] | The church saved my life. | 教会拯救了我的生活 |
[06:12] | Specifically, what happened when you joined Mr. Macklin’s group? | 具体来说 你加入Macklin的团体之后发生了什么事? |
[06:16] | I went through intake, just like everybody else. | 我慢慢融入他们 和所有人一样 |
[06:19] | The first three months were physical training. | 开始的三个月是身体训练 |
[06:22] | After that, we started classes with Mr. Macklin. | 之后 我们开始上Macklin先生的课 |
[06:25] | What kind of classes? | 什么样的课? |
[06:26] | History. Religion. | 历史 宗教 |
[06:28] | He said he had to reverse the damage of our government education. | 他说他得补救政府教育给我们思想带来的破坏 |
[06:31] | You were trained to fight? | 你们被训练去作战? |
[06:34] | We were trained to stand ready. | 我们受训以随时待命 |
[06:36] | We were soldiers in the divine army. | 我们是圣军的战士 |
[06:38] | We could be called upon at any time. | 我们可能随时被召唤 |
[06:40] | Did the day come when you were called upon? | 你被召唤的时刻来临了吗? |
[06:42] | Yes. | 是的 |
[06:43] | When I left camp, I was assigned to a recruiting unit. | 在我离开训练营之后 就被派去招募新人 |
[06:46] | Went to schools, parks, looking for newbies. | 前往学校 公园 寻找新人 |
[06:50] | But when Mr. Macklin started going to court, I got moved to a security detail. | 但Macklin上法庭起诉之后 我进了他的保安队 |
[06:55] | So you were there the day the judge’s ruling came in? | 那法官审判的那天 你也在场? |
[06:57] | Yes. | 是的 |
[06:58] | What was Mr. Macklin’s reaction? | 那Macklin先生的反应如何? |
[07:00] | He was angry. | 他很生气 |
[07:02] | I-I had never seen him so upset. | 我从没见他这么生气 |
[07:05] | What happened next, Mr. Grant? | 之后发生了什么事 Grant? |
[07:08] | Back in his office, he told everyone to get out. | 我们回到了他的办公室 他让所有人都出去 |
[07:12] | Except me. | 除了我 |
[07:13] | He said he had a mission for me. | 他说他有任务给我 |
[07:15] | He said the church looked weak. | 他说教会看上去太软弱了 |
[07:17] | People needed to be shown our vengeance would be swift. | 我们必须采取迅速的报复措施展示个大家 |
[07:20] | And he assigned me a mission. | 然后他就给了我任务 |
[07:22] | What was your mission? | 什么任务? |
[07:23] | To eliminate Mr. Coleman. | 消灭Coleman |
[07:25] | He used those exact words? | 他的原话是这么说的? |
[07:27] | Yes. | 是的 |
[07:28] | Eliminate Mr. Coleman. | 消灭Coleman |
[07:31] | And did you, sir? | 你做了吗? |
[07:33] | The next day. I shot him. | 第二天 我开枪打死了他 |
[07:37] | Did you make a deal with the District Attorney? | 你是否和检察官达成了协议? |
[07:39] | In exchange for your testimony against my client, your sentence for murder would be reduced. | 作为你指证我委托人的交换条件 谋杀罪名的刑期被缩短? |
[07:44] | Yes. | 是的 |
[07:46] | But I’m testifying truthfully, Mr. Young. | 但我证言是真实的 Young先生 |
[07:48] | Were you testifying truthfully when you told us your name? | 那你的名字也是真的吗? |
[07:50] | Danny Grant isn’t your name, is it, sir? | Danny Grant不是你的真名吧? |
[07:52] | It is today, and has been several years. | 现在是 用了好几年了 |
[07:55] | Did you change it legally? | 你是合法改名吗? |
[07:57] | No. | 不是 |
[07:58] | Then what’s your real name? | 那你的真名叫什么? |
[08:00] | Daniel Johnson. | |
[08:01] | Where you from, Daniel Johnson? | 你是哪里人 Daniel Johnson? |
[08:03] | Philadelphia. | 费城 |
[08:04] | Got a criminal record as Daniel Johnson? | 作为Daniel Johnson的时候有犯罪记录吗 |
[08:07] | As a teenager I committed a few burglaries. | 十几岁的时候我犯过入室盗窃 |
[08:10] | One assault. | 和一次侵犯人身 |
[08:11] | You said you were assigned to Mr. Macklin’s security detail. | 你说你是被调进Macklin的保安队的 |
[08:14] | In truth, you begged for that assignment, did you not? | 实际上 你是请求加入的 对吗? |
[08:16] | I asked for it, yes. | 是我请求的 没错 |
[08:18] | In fact you repeatedly asked for any and every assignment that brought you in contact with Mr.Macklin. | 事实上 你不断请求任何一个 能让你和Macklin先生接触的任务 |
[08:23] | Isn’t that true? | 事实是这样的吗? |
[08:24] | I was, and continue to be, very loyal to Mr. Macklin. | 我过去 现在也是 非常忠诚于Macklin先生的 |
[08:27] | Loyal. | 忠诚 |
[08:29] | Are you in love with him? | 你爱上他了吗? |
[08:34] | Did you hear my question, Mr. Grant? | 你听见我的问题了吗 Grant? |
[08:36] | Homosexuality is against God, Mr. Young. | 同性恋是反上帝的 Young先生 |
[08:41] | Yes, terrible. But are you in love with Jonathan Macklin? | 是啊 太可怕了 但是你爱上Jonathan Macklin了吗? |
[08:45] | No. I am not. | 不 我没有 |
[08:48] | Well, did you murder Mr. Coleman as a means of pleasing or impressing the man you were secretly in love with? | 那你杀害Coleman先生是不是为了取悦 或是表现给这个你暗恋的男人看? |
[08:52] | No. | 不 |
[08:53] | Does being gay make you angry, Mr. Grant? | 身为同性恋是不是让你生气 Grant? |
[08:55] | Objection! | -反对! -我不是同志 |
[08:57] | -Does being in love with Jon Macklin fill you with feelings of rage? – I am not in love with Mr. Macklin! | -爱 上Jon Macklin是不是让你愤怒? -我没有爱上 Macklin先生! |
[09:00] | Mr. Young, that’s enough. | 够了 Young先生 |
[09:02] | You say you’re a devout follower of Mr. Macklin’s. | 你说你是Macklin虔诚的追随者 |
[09:05] | -Yes. -His teachings condemn violence, do they not? | -是的 -他的教育是反对暴力的 对吗? |
[09:07] | Yes, but in this particular | 是的 但是在这个特殊的… |
[09:08] | And yet when he suddenly gives you a mission | 然后他突然给了你这个任务 |
[09:10] | in your mind to commit murder you just do it. | 在你看来是去杀人 而你就这么做了 |
[09:13] | You don’t even question it | 你甚至没有质疑过 |
[09:14] | I considered Mr. Macklin to be infallible, so I fulfilled | 我认为Macklin先生是永远正确的 所以我做了… |
[09:16] | The man says eliminate, you infer murder and you don’t even ask for clarification as to what | 这个男人说了”消灭” 你认为是去杀人 你甚至都没有问清楚… |
[09:21] | I knew what he meant so I continued | 我知道他的意思所以我… |
[09:22] | Did he mean for you to do it in front of an eyewitness? | 那他有让你去当着目击者的面执行吗? |
[09:23] | Did he mean for you to say to the eyewitness, | 他有让你对着目击者说 |
[09:26] | courtesy of Jon Macklin? | “来自Jon Macklin的问候”吗? |
[09:27] | You framed him then just like you’re framing him now | 你是陷害他 就像你现在陷害他一样… |
[09:29] | No I am not | 不 我没有… |
[09:30] | -because you’re in love with him. -Objection! | -你为你爱他 -反对! |
[09:31] | -Homosexuality is against God. -You’re in love with him, Mr. Grant. | -同性恋是反上帝的 -你爱着他 Grant先生 |
[09:36] | And you’re lashing out because he doesn’t love you back. | 你现在攻击他是因为他没有回报你的爱 |
[09:38] | That is not true! | 这不是真的 |
[09:39] | Mr. Young, that’s enough. | 够了 Young先生 |
[09:51] | -Okay, you’re going to Philadelphia. -What? | -你马上去费城 -什么? |
[09:53] | I’ll get Jamie to second chair. | 我让Jamie做第二席 |
[09:54] | There’s somethin’ on this kid, Jimmy. | 那孩子身上一定有什么 Jimmy |
[09:55] | I know it. You’re going to Philadelphia. | 我敢肯定 你马上去费城 |
[10:25] | I’m looking for Diane Ward. | 我找Diane Ward |
[10:27] | I’m her. | 我就是 |
[10:30] | Are you the sister of the late Richard Ward? | 你是 Richard Ward的姐姐? |
[10:34] | Yes. | 是的 |
[10:36] | My name is Alan Shore. | 我叫Alan Shore |
[10:38] | I represent Roland Huff. | Roland Huff的律师 |
[10:42] | May I come in? | 我能进去吗? |
[10:45] | What do you want? | 你想干什么? |
[10:48] | Well, Roland asked me to come here to convey his profound sorrow for | 嗯…Roland让我来传达他的深切哀悼… |
[10:56] | Murdering my brother? | 我那被他杀死的弟弟? |
[10:59] | Yes. | 是的 |
[11:01] | Fine. | 好的 |
[11:03] | You’ve done so. | 你做到了 |
[11:06] | Goodnight Mr. Shore. | 晚安 Shore先生 |
[11:09] | Forgive me. | 请见谅 |
[11:13] | I’m not feeling wholly satisfied. | 我还没有完全满意 |
[11:20] | I don’t know if you’ve eaten yet. | 不知道你吃过了没有 |
[11:23] | But if not, may I take you to dinner? | 如果没有 我能请你吃晚餐吗? |
[11:27] | Why? | 为什么? |
[11:31] | I haven’t the slightest idea. | 我也不清楚 |
[11:34] | I suspect because you look, in part, like a person that could use some company. | 因为看你的样子 让我觉得你是个需要陪的人 |
[11:39] | Forgive me, I don’t mean to be presumptuous. | 抱歉 我无心冒昧 |
[11:42] | But also, you strike me as a person whose company I might enjoy. | 但是 您也让我觉得和您在一起会非常愉悦 |
[11:56] | I did my graduate studies in sociology at Northwestern. | 我在西北大学念的社会学研究生 |
[12:01] | My focus is on race and religion. | 主要研究的是种族与宗教 |
[12:03] | And doctor, you’re familiar with Mr. Macklin’s Church of Divine Power? | 那么博士 您熟悉Macklin的神圣力量教会吗? |
[12:08] | I’ve read most of his writings. | 他大多数的著作我都看过 |
[12:10] | Heard tapes of his sermons. Interviewed members. | 听过他布道的录音 和他的成员面谈过 |
[12:12] | And were you able to form an opinion as to Mr. Macklin’s position on violence? | 那你能形成一个对于Macklin在暴力上所持态度的意见吗? |
[12:17] | He’s against it. | 他反对暴力 |
[12:19] | Don’t misunderstand. | 别误会 |
[12:21] | There’s tremendous hate in what he teaches. | 在他的教育里充斥着大量的仇恨 |
[12:24] | But his primary goal is separatism. | 但他的宗旨是进行种族隔离 |
[12:28] | He calls for the black race to fail. | 他要削弱黑人族群 |
[12:31] | Yes, but I don’t believe it’s a call for violence. | 是的 但我并不认为这就是要诉诸暴力 |
[12:33] | I must tell you, doctor. | 我必须跟你说 博士 |
[12:36] | For an African-American man to be sitting in that chair supporting this defendant | 作为一个非洲裔美国人却坐在证人席上支持被告… |
[12:40] | I endorse nothing about the man. | 我对这个男人没有半点认同 |
[12:43] | His teachings are racist, perhaps dangerous. | 他的教义是种族主义 可能是危险的 |
[12:46] | But there are many prominent voices in the black community who support the idea of separatism. | 但是在黑人的族群里也有支持种族隔离主义的强烈呼声 |
[12:51] | Segregation required us to be self-sufficient. | 种族隔离让我们变得自傲自大 |
[12:55] | And along with that came a cultural awareness. | 同时也是一种自我文化的觉醒 |
[12:59] | A sense of identity. Something we’ve lost. | 一种本体感–我们已经失落的东西 |
[13:02] | You sound like a separatist yourself, Professor. | 听起来你就是个分离主义者 教授 |
[13:06] | I’m not. | 我不是 |
[13:07] | But I understand the impulse to protect your culture, Mr. Hill. | 但我能理解这种想要保护自身文化的强烈冲动 |
[13:11] | We’re becoming more diverse everyday, | 我们一天天地变得越来越多样化 |
[13:13] | and I think it’s fair to wonder if, by joining others, we’re losing a little sense of self. | 所以如果认为融入异族 就会迷失一些自我的想法 也不足为奇 |
[13:37] | Why are we having lunch? | 为什么要一起吃午饭? |
[13:40] | Did you not enjoy dinner last night? | 难道昨天的晚餐你吃得不开心? |
[13:42] | I did. | 不 挺好 |
[13:44] | Why are we having lunch? | 那为什么还要吃午饭? |
[13:47] | I just felt I needed to continue apologizing on Roland’s behalf. | 我只是觉得需要继续替Roland向你道歉 |
[13:54] | Also I find you attractive. | 而且 我觉得你很迷人 |
[14:00] | Why? | 为什么? |
[14:01] | It could be the way you study me. | 可能是你打量我的方式 |
[14:04] | You did so yesterday as soon as you opened the door. | 昨晚你为我开门的时候就开始了 |
[14:09] | What is it in particular that you’re drawn to? | 这一点有什么特别吸引你吗? |
[14:12] | Curiosity? | 好奇? |
[14:14] | Suspicion? | 怀疑? |
[14:16] | Or simply distrust? | 还是纯粹的不信任? |
[14:18] | I think I enjoy the company of inquisitive people, especially when they’re perceptive. | 我想我喜欢和让人好奇的人在一起 特别是对方也是敏锐的人 |
[14:26] | They often cause me to discover more about myself. | 他们通常能让我更多地发现自我 |
[14:32] | So it’s all about you? | 也就是说都是为了你自己罗? |
[14:33] | Perhaps. | 大概吧 |
[14:37] | And I also find you interesting in your own right. | 而且我觉得你本身就很有趣 |
[14:41] | So there’s that added bonus. | 算是额外的好处 |
[14:46] | Diane, | |
[14:51] | Would you mind visiting Roland? | 你介意去见一见Roland吗? |
[14:56] | From what I gather, you may be his only semblance of family. | 在我看来 你是他唯一称得上亲人的人 |
[15:04] | As soon as you can, Jimmy. It’s going fast here. | 尽快吧 Jimmy 这里进展得很快 |
[15:09] | He landed in Philadelphia. He’s on his way to Probation. | 他到了费城 在去调查的路上 |
[15:11] | Let’s hope he finds something. | 希望他能发现些什么吧 |
[15:14] | I testify next? | 我下一个作证? |
[15:15] | Yes. | 是的 |
[15:17] | The main thing is to tell the truth. | 主要就是去说出真相 |
[15:20] | I plan to. | 我就是这么打算的 |
[15:23] | Look at me, Mr. Macklin. | 看着我 Macklin |
[15:27] | Do not expend any time or any energy trying to get the jury to like you. | 别妄想花时间或精力让陪审团喜欢上你 |
[15:31] | That isn’t going to happen. | 这是不可能的 |
[15:33] | Now, I don’t mean to offend you, | 我不是要冒犯你 |
[15:35] | but you need to understand. | 但是你必须明白 |
[15:37] | Our chances have nothing to do with you coming off as a sympathetic or likeable guy. | 我们的胜算不在于你能博得同情 或是成为一个讨人喜欢的人 |
[15:42] | Our defense our only defense | 我们的辩护…唯一的辩护… |
[15:45] | is that you did not commission a murder. | 是你没有杀人 |
[15:50] | Are we clear? | 明白了吗? |
[15:53] | Yes. | 是的 |
[15:56] | Am I allowed to share with the jury that I’m afraid? | 那我能不能告诉陪审团我的害怕 |
[15:59] | It won’t help. | 这没有什么帮助 |
[16:02] | It’s interesting | 有意思的是… |
[16:03] | your exploring Danny Grant’s past when you’ve expressed no interest in mine. | 你去打探 Danny Grant的过去 却对我一点都不感兴趣 |
[16:10] | I know who and what you are. | 我知道你是个什么样的人 |
[16:13] | You may know my beliefs. | 你或许知道我的信仰 |
[16:16] | But you clearly don’t know my heart. | 却显然不懂我的内心 |
[16:22] | Maybe he’s in love with you. | 或许他爱上你了 |
[16:24] | Maybe. | 或许 |
[16:29] | What did you think of our expert’s testimony? | 你对我们专家的证词有何看法? |
[16:31] | on how interracial relationships threaten black culture? | 所谓的族群混居对黑人文化的威胁? |
[16:34] | What about it? | 和它有什么关系? |
[16:35] | Well, do you believe that at all? | 你相信吗? |
[16:37] | Do you? | 你呢? |
[16:39] | Well, I mean, if all the races became one it would be great for world harmony. | 我的意思是 如果所有的种族都同化成了一体 那对和谐世界来说会起到巨大的作用 |
[16:44] | But the culture won’t be black. | 但那不会是黑人文化 |
[16:47] | Does that bother you? | 你对这个有意见吗? |
[16:48] | Clearly it bothers you. | 显然你是有意见的 |
[16:50] | You’re being evasive. | 你是在回避问题 |
[16:53] | I was reading this book, The Cornell West Reader– | 我在看这本书 Cornell West文摘 (著名研究黑人文化的学者) |
[16:55] | Since when? | 什么时候开始看的? |
[16:56] | Since six o’clock. | 六点的时候 |
[16:57] | And he talks about black cultural distinctiveness. | 他谈了黑人文化的与众不同 |
[17:01] | Black manners. | 黑人的习俗 |
[17:02] | Styles. Rhythms. | 风格 韵律 |
[17:04] | Ways of praying and singing. | 祈福与歌唱 |
[17:07] | What a rich culture. | 多么丰富的文化 |
[17:10] | To think it could be assimilated into white America. | 想想要是它被美国白人文化同化 |
[17:13] | Are you talking generally, Jamie? | Jamie 你是泛泛而谈呢 |
[17:17] | Or is this discussion honing in on you and me? | 还是在说我们之间的摩擦? |
[17:32] | Roland. | |
[17:34] | You need to get me out. | 你必须把我弄出去 |
[17:35] | -Roland, we’ve talked about this. You can’t -I can’t wait, Tara. | -Roland 我们说过这个 你不能… -我不能再等了 Tara |
[17:41] | They’re watching me. | 他们在监视我 |
[17:43] | They have a guard watching me. | 派一个警卫监视我 |
[17:45] | Okay, Roland. | 好吧 Roland |
[17:48] | You made a noose out of your bed sheets. | 你用床单做了个索套 |
[17:54] | Do you want to take your life, Roland? | 你想自杀吗 Roland? |
[17:58] | -They refuse to come visit me. -Who? | -他们拒绝来探视我 -谁? |
[18:02] | My children. | 我的孩子们 |
[18:04] | They say I-I-I’m not their father. | 他们说我…我不是他们的父亲 |
[18:12] | My life, Mr. Shore, was Nancy and Richard and my children. | Nancy Richard和我的孩子就是我生活的全部 |
[18:19] | They’re all gone. | 他们都离我而去了 |
[18:21] | There’s no life left to take. | 我已经一无所有了 |
[18:25] | I’m not a loner. | 我不是个孤僻的人 |
[18:27] | I need people in my life. I¡ | 我需要有人陪 我… |
[18:32] | Do you have other family? | 你还有别的家人吗? |
[18:33] | -What about your parents? -They’re dead. | -你父母呢? -他们死了 |
[18:37] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[18:39] | What needs to happen, Roland, is for you to start building a new life. | 你必须为自己开始新的生活 Roland |
[18:45] | We’re going to help you do that. | 我们会帮你的 |
[18:48] | I met with Richard’s sister, Diane. | 我和Richard的姐姐Diane见了面 |
[18:50] | She’s going to come and visit. | 她会来看你 |
[18:51] | I cannot exist in prison. | 我不能在监狱里呆下去了 |
[18:54] | I know things about myself. | 我了解我自己 |
[18:56] | I cannot exist in prison. | 我在监狱里呆不下去 |
[19:07] | We’re running out of time, Jimmy. | 我们快没时间了Jimmy |
[19:08] | I mean, how many addresses have you checked out? | 我是说 你已经查过多少地方了? |
[19:12] | All right. Well keep going, and hurry. | 好吧 保持联络 加把劲 |
[19:18] | Okay. | 好的 |
[19:21] | What’s the problem? | 怎么了? |
[19:23] | What problem? | 什么怎么了? |
[19:24] | Door slamming, dishes clanking. | 又甩门又摔盘子 |
[19:27] | What’s the issue? | 什么事? |
[19:29] | You’re black. | 你是黑人 |
[19:30] | I’m white. | 我是白人 |
[19:33] | For you to consider it such a non-issue, | 你却认为没任何问题 |
[19:36] | I just don’t get it. | 我不明白 |
[19:38] | That’s all. | 就是这样 |
[19:39] | Clearly it’s an issue with you, so | 显然你觉得是问题 那么… |
[19:42] | let’s have it. | 我们就来谈谈吧 |
[19:44] | My issue is your denial. | 我的问题是你的不承认 |
[19:48] | You wouldn’t be in any denial yourself, then, huh? | 那你从没否定过自己吗? |
[19:58] | Are you? | 你有吗? |
[20:00] | I don’t think so. | 我不这么认为 |
[20:02] | I’m the one raising it. | 这是我挑起的 |
[20:04] | But why? | 但是为什么? |
[20:07] | Ellenor, would you date a black man? | Ellenor 你会和个黑人约会吗? |
[20:11] | Yes. And I have. | 会的 而且有过 |
[20:14] | Would you marry a black man? | 那你会嫁给一个黑人吗? |
[20:18] | Would there be a reason I shouldn’t? | 有什么不可以的理由吗? |
[20:34] | Hello. | 你好 |
[20:35] | I’m looking for a Bernice Johnson. | 我在找一个叫Bernice Johnson的人 |
[20:38] | Do I look like Bernice to you? | 我看上去像那个Bernice吗? |
[20:42] | Does she live here? | 她住这儿吗? |
[20:43] | Not anymore. | 已经搬走了 |
[20:45] | Do you know where I might find her? | 你知道我可以上哪找到她? |
[20:47] | You got fifty bucks? | 你有50元吗? |
[20:53] | My mission has always been clear: | 我的使命很清楚 |
[20:55] | To reclaim strength for the white race. | 唤醒白人族群的力量 |
[20:58] | Okay. That’s politics. | 好吧 那是官话 |
[21:00] | But we’re sitting in this room today because someone was murdered. | 但是我们之所以在这是因为一个人被杀死了 |
[21:03] | Which I was not involved in. | 而这和我无关 |
[21:07] | I’ve never supported violence, even in theory. | 我从没有赞同过暴力 即使是在理论上 |
[21:11] | I did not endorse the murder of Mr. Coleman or anyone else. | 我不赞同谋杀Coleman先生或者任何人 |
[21:15] | Danny Grant said you did. | Danny Grant说是你指使的 |
[21:16] | Danny Grant is either mistaken or he is a liar. | Danny Grant要么是误解了 要么就是在撒谎 |
[21:20] | I can only surmise that he did what he thought would please me. | 我只能这么推测 他自以为这么做能讨我欢心 |
[21:24] | I suffered a very public defeat in court. | 我在法庭上大庭广众下输了官司 |
[21:27] | I was angry. | 我是很生气 |
[21:28] | Perhaps he decided to avenge that defeat. | 或许是他决定要去报复 |
[21:32] | If so, he chose a manner I find deplorable. | 如果是如此 那他选择了一个让我不耻的方式 |
[21:36] | Did you ever tell Mr. Grant to eliminate Mr. Coleman? | 你有对Grant说去消灭Coleman吗 |
[21:40] | No, I did not. | 不 我没有 |
[21:43] | I did say, after losing in court, that these defeats are unacceptable. | 在输掉官司之后 我说的是 失败是不可接受的 |
[21:48] | We cannot allow for people such as Mr. Coleman to undermine our cause. | 我们不能容许像Coleman这样的人来动摇我们的理想 |
[21:53] | That’s what I said. My precise words. | 这才是我说的话 原原本本的话 |
[21:59] | Now here’s a quote from one of your sermons: | 下面这句引自你的布道词: |
[22:03] | The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots. | “自由之树必须时不时地得到爱国者鲜血的浇灌” |
[22:09] | Did you say that? | 你曾这么说过? |
[22:10] | I was quoting Thomas Jefferson. | 我引用的是Thomas Jefferson的话 (美国独立宣言起草者 曾任总统) |
[22:12] | Thomas Jefferson was discussing a revolution. | Thomas Jefferson说的是一场革命 |
[22:15] | So was I. | 我也是 |
[22:16] | A non-violent one. | 一场非暴力的革命 |
[22:17] | Non-violent, with blood? | 非暴力 却流血? |
[22:21] | It’s a figure of speech. | 这是一种比喻 |
[22:23] | A speech made by one of the Founding Fathers of our country. | 出自我们国家的奠基人之口 |
[22:27] | Oh, so you are a fan of Thomas Jefferson’s? | 哦 那Thomas Jefferson是你偶像? |
[22:32] | In another sermon you condemned his soul to hell. | 在另一篇布道词里 你却诅咒他下地狱 |
[22:35] | My condemnation there was aimed at reports that he had had sexual relations with one of his slaves. | 那是谴责在一篇报道里他和他的一个奴隶 发生了性关系 |
[22:40] | A black slave? | 一个黑奴? |
[22:42] | It’s against God. | 那是反上帝的 |
[22:44] | What do you think of homosexuality? | 那你怎么看待同性恋呢? |
[22:47] | That, too, is against God. | 这也是反上帝的 |
[22:50] | In fact, you condemned homosexuality in a sermon two years ago, did you not? | 实际上 在两年前的一次布道上你也诅咒了同性恋 是吗? |
[22:56] | I have done so many times. | 我不止一次做过 |
[22:58] | Yes, well, the day after this time, two of your parishioners beat a gay man half to death. | 是的 那么在那次之后 你的两个教会成员把一名同性恋打得半死 |
[23:05] | Objection! Prejudicial! | 反对!偏见! |
[23:06] | And now they sit in prison | 现在他们进了监狱… |
[23:07] | I never ordered them to do that. | 我从没唆使他们这么做 |
[23:10] | They just got it wrong? | 是他们自己误会了? |
[23:11] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:12] | Like Danny Grant got it wrong when, after a conversation with you, he killed Arnold Coleman? | 就像Danny Grant一样 在和你谈话之后 他也误会了 去杀了Arnold Coleman? |
[23:19] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:32] | Bail? | 保释? |
[23:33] | For a double homicide case? | 在一起双重谋杀案里? |
[23:34] | Your Honor, in addition to my client having no prior record | 法官大人 考虑到我的委托人没有前科… |
[23:37] | I don’t particularly care | 我才不关心… |
[23:38] | And roots in the community and posing very little flight risk. | 他扎根在这 逃跑的可能性微乎其微 |
[23:41] | His trial is scheduled for next week. | 他的庭审下星期就开始了 |
[23:44] | His emotional stability is being jeopardized by his ongoing confinement. | 持续的监禁让他的情绪越来越不稳定 |
[23:47] | You have a medical affidavit confirming as much. | 你已经看到了相关医学证明 |
[23:51] | I would submit that to ensure Mr. Huff’s ability to competently contribute to his defense | 我认为应当确保Huff先生有完全的能力接受审理… |
[23:56] | Counsel, the man shot two people. | 律师 这个男人开枪杀死了两个人 |
[24:00] | You’re claiming autonomism as a defense. | 你说他是自主行为 来给他辩护 |
[24:03] | How can I release a guy who can’t control himself? | 我怎么能放一个无法控制自己的人呢? |
[24:05] | That breakdown was triggered by a very specific event. | 他的失控是由非常特殊的情形引发的 |
[24:10] | He discovered his lifelong best friend in bed with his wife. | 他发现做了一辈子好友的人和自己的妻子在上床 |
[24:13] | My client has no more best friends. | 我的委托人没有其他好朋友了 |
[24:15] | He has no more wives. | 也没有别的老婆了 |
[24:16] | The situation isn’t likely to repeat itself. | 这一幕不会再重演 |
[24:18] | You know what your problem is, counsel? | 你知道你有什么毛病吗 律师? |
[24:20] | You ooze smug. | 你浑身都臭屁 |
[24:22] | I don’t like smug. | 我不喜欢臭屁的人 |
[24:24] | Your Honor, this is Diane Ward. | 法官大人 这位是Diane Ward |
[24:27] | She is the sister of one of the victims. | 是其中一名被害人的姐姐 |
[24:29] | Even she is here willing to extend some compassion. | 甚至是她也动了恻隐之心 |
[24:33] | This courtroom isn’t about indulging tears or compassion. | 这个法庭不是泡在眼泪水或是同情心里的 |
[24:36] | Or some misplaced selfrighteousness, counsel. | 或者被不该出现的自以为是左右 律师 |
[24:39] | It’s about enforcing the letter of the law. | 它要遵守法律的条文 |
[24:42] | Under the law, I do not grant bail to double homicide defendants. | 在法律之下 我不同意给一个犯下双重谋杀的被告保释 |
[24:47] | Your motion is denied. | 你的动议被否决 |
[24:50] | The defendant goes back into custody. | 把被告带回羁押 |
[24:59] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[25:01] | Try to stay strong, Roland. | 坚持下去 Roland |
[25:02] | It’s only a week till the trial. | 离开庭只有一个星期 |
[25:04] | -I don’t know if I can make it. -Yes you can. | -我不知道能不能做到 -是的 你能 |
[25:06] | Yes you can. | 你能 |
[25:30] | All set? | 都好了? |
[25:32] | One second. | 等一小会儿 |
[25:40] | Something on your mind, Jamie? | 你有心事吗 Jamie? |
[25:51] | I’m Jewish, which you know. | 我是犹太人 你知道的 |
[25:56] | Half-Jewish. | 半个犹太人 |
[25:58] | By blood. | 骨子里是 |
[25:59] | I was raised Jewish. | 我被犹太人抚养长大 |
[26:00] | I consider myself Jewish. | 认为自己就是个犹太人 |
[26:05] | Okay. And? | 好的 然后呢? |
[26:07] | And the Jewish culture is being threatened by intermarriage. | 犹太文化正在受异族婚姻的威胁 |
[26:14] | And, well, the truth is, | 嗯 实际上… |
[26:17] | as I look to my future, | 当我展望未来 |
[26:22] | I don’t see myself sharing it with someone who is not Jewish. | 我不认为自己会和一个不是犹太人的人共度 |
[26:32] | Jamie, if you want out just say you want out. | Jamie 如果你想退出 那你就直说好了 |
[26:35] | But don’t invent some religious reason for why we have | 但不要找什么宗教借口来掩饰我们之间… |
[26:37] | I’m not inventing. | 我没有找借口 |
[26:44] | Fine. | 行 |
[26:47] | You’re Jewish, you want out, we’re done. | 你是犹太人 你想退出 我们结束了 |
[26:52] | Anything else? | 还有什么吗? |
[26:58] | You have an odd little house. | 你有一幢古怪的小房子 |
[27:02] | Can I get you a cup of coffee or | 给你来杯咖啡或者… |
[27:05] | No, I better get going. | 不 我还是走吧 |
[27:08] | As I told you, I have a trial rapidly approaching. | 你知道的 离开庭越来越近了 |
[27:13] | Diane, would you perhaps consider testifying on Roland’s behalf? | Diane 你有没有想过为Roland作证? |
[27:19] | Are you using me? | 你是在利用我吗? |
[27:22] | I’m not sure. | 我说不清 |
[27:25] | I am very drawn to you. | 我迷上了你 |
[27:29] | But can I separate my fascination from my need to have you at trial for Roland? | 但我可以把对你的感情先搁一边 让你为Roland出庭吗? |
[27:34] | I’m not sure. | 我不知道 |
[27:38] | When you said before I was an attractive woman— | 之前你说我是个有魅力的人 |
[27:42] | I said that because I find you attractive. | 我这么说是因为觉得你确实吸引人 |
[27:50] | Would you sleep with me tonight? | 你今晚能和我睡一块吗? |
[27:54] | I mean, we don’t have to be physical. | 我是说 不用发生肉体上的关系 |
[27:57] | I would just really like to fall asleep next to somebody. | 我只是真的很想睡在另一个人身边 |
[28:02] | It’s been so long since | 已经太久没有… |
[28:14] | I would very much like to sleep with you tonight. | 我今晚非常愿意为你陪寝 |
[28:19] | But it could render you impeachable. | 但可能会让你在庭上受到责难 (影响证人的证明力) |
[28:29] | I think Roland was abused by his father. | 我认为 Roland曾受到他父亲的虐待 |
[28:32] | If that helps with his trial. | 如果这对案子有帮助的话 |
[28:34] | Sexually abused? | 性虐待? |
[28:35] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:36] | And his mother’s an alcoholic, if that counts for anything. | 而且她母亲是个酒鬼 如果这也有用 |
[28:40] | He he said his family was dead. | 他…他说他家人都死了 |
[28:42] | Well they may as well be. | 活着还不如死了 |
[28:45] | His mother’s never sober. | 她母亲从没清醒过 |
[28:47] | And his father’s a Croatian diplomat who’s almost always out of the country. | 他的父亲是克罗地亚的外交官 整天不在国内 |
[28:52] | That’s why he has so many issues about being alone. | 所以他对孤单才那么害怕 |
[28:55] | His parents were gone, really. | 他的父母确实死了 |
[28:59] | Would this be helpful at his trial? | 这对案子有用吗? |
[29:04] | Diane, you have no idea. | Diane 超出你想象 |
[29:27] | Hello.My name is James Berluti. | 你好 我叫James Berluti |
[29:29] | I’m looking for Miss Bernice Johnson. | 我在找Bernice Johnson女士 |
[29:33] | Speaking. | 说下去 |
[29:36] | I’m looking for the mother of Daniel Johnson, now known as Daniel Grant? | 我在找Daniel Johnson的母亲 他现在是叫Daniel Grant |
[29:41] | Speaking. | 说下去 |
[29:46] | I’m looking for the mother of this man. | 我在找这个男人的母亲 |
[29:51] | Here I am. | 我就是 |
[29:52] | Now what do you want? | 现在你想干什么? |
[30:02] | Croatian? | 克罗地亚? |
[30:03] | Yeah, I need all the research, Tara, not just ¨C | 我需要全部的资料 Tara 不只是… |
[30:06] | This is all of it. | 这些就是全部了 |
[30:07] | And here’s the statute followed by the treaty. | 还有一份两国条约生成的法令 |
[30:12] | What’s going on? | 发生什么事了? |
[30:20] | What? | 什么? |
[30:21] | Call our judge, Tara. | 打电话给法官 Tara |
[30:24] | Make an appointment. | 安排一次上庭 |
[30:27] | I don’t need to talk to you. | 我不要和你说话 |
[30:29] | Danny, I just | Danny 我只是… |
[30:30] | Please don’t speak to me in familiar terms, | 别对我套近乎 |
[30:32] | after what you colleague subjected me to. | 在你同事把我说成是那种人之后 |
[30:35] | Implying I’m a homosexual. | 暗示我是个同性恋 |
[30:37] | Look, your mother, she didn’t even know that you committed a murder. | 瞧 你母亲并不知道你杀了人 |
[30:41] | Or that you’re in jail. | 也不知道你进了监狱 |
[30:43] | What a surprise. | 惊讶吧 |
[30:45] | I haven’t spoken to my mother in over five years. | 我已经有五年没和我母亲说过话了 |
[30:48] | Look, it’s not uncommon for a bi-racial man to think of himself as white. | 瞧 一个混血儿认为自己是个白人很常见 |
[30:55] | But to become a white supremacist? | 但是还成了一个白人优越论者? |
[30:59] | Are you really a white supremacist, Danny? | 你真是这样的人吗 Danny? |
[31:02] | Or do you consider yourself black? | 或者其实你自认是个黑人 |
[31:04] | And you found a perfect way to take down a racist? | 你发现了一个完美的方式来击垮一个种族主义者 |
[31:10] | If I were black, | 如果我是黑人 |
[31:12] | do you really think I’d murder a black man to make a point? | 你认为我会用杀死一个黑人的方法来达到目的吗? |
[31:17] | I killed because I know it’s what Mr. Macklin wanted. | 我杀人是因为这是Macklin先生想要的 |
[31:22] | Because I am devoted to him. | 因为我献身于他 |
[31:24] | Because I would do anything for him. | 因为我愿意为他做一切 |
[31:30] | And I’m not gay, Mr. Berluti. | 我不是同性恋 Berluti |
[31:33] | Oh, I don’t believe you’re gay anymore. | 啊 我不会再认为你是同性恋了 |
[31:38] | Your mother, she also gave me a picture of your father. | 你的母亲 她还给了我一张你父亲的照片 |
[31:43] | She didn’t think you even knew his identity. | 她以为你并不知道他的身份 |
[31:46] | But, that would be just too big a coincidence. | 但是 这样的话也太巧合了吧 |
[31:51] | Wouldn’t it Danny? | 不是吗 Danny? |
[32:03] | My son? | 我的儿子? |
[32:04] | Evidently, you had a brief affair with this Bernice twenty years ago. | 有凭有据 你在二十年前曾和这个Bernice有过一段情 |
[32:08] | I never! | 我没有! |
[32:10] | She’s positive. | 她承认了 |
[32:11] | She says this man is the father. | 他说这个男人就是孩子的父亲 |
[32:14] | She’s lying. | 她在撒谎 |
[32:15] | Mr. Macklin, this is very good news. | Macklin 这是个有利的消息 |
[32:18] | It’s new evidence we can use to impeach Danny Grant. | 我们可以用这个新证据来对付Danny Grant |
[32:21] | -At a minimum, we expose -It’s a lie being told by my enemies. | -最起码 我们可以揭露… -这是我的敌人编造的谎言 |
[32:25] | -Well, it’s a lie that can get you acquitted, so why -No! | -就算是撒谎 也可以帮你脱罪 为什么… -不行! |
[32:28] | I will not let my enemies destroy me. | 我不会让敌人毁掉我 |
[32:31] | I will not let my attorneys destroy me. | 我也不会让我的律师毁掉我 |
[32:35] | -We’re not trying to destroy you. -This information is false. | -我们没有要毁了你 -这消息是假的 |
[32:39] | You will not present it. | 你不能呈送法庭 |
[32:59] | Are you telling me you’d rather go to prison for the rest of your life | 你是说你宁愿下半生在监狱里度过 |
[33:04] | than to let it be known that you have a son who’s half black? | 也不愿被世人知道你有个一半黑人血统的儿子? |
[33:20] | You will not speak of this information. | 你不准说出去 |
[33:36] | I’m not pleased to be back here, counsel. | 再回到这里我可不太高兴 律师 |
[33:38] | Actually, Your Honor, I have splendid news. | 实际上 法官大人 我有个惊人的消息 |
[33:40] | I think you’ll be delighted. May I? | 我想你会高兴起来的 可以说了吗? |
[33:42] | Please. | 请吧 |
[33:43] | It turns out that Roland Huff’s father is a diplomat and as such, is a party to the conventions and treaties which grant immunity. | 事实证明Roland Huff的父亲是克罗地亚的外交官 享有签订条约中的外交豁免权 |
[33:50] | Full immunity to representatives to foreign sovereignties, | 全权豁免 包括外交代表的所有方面 |
[33:54] | which ¨C and I apologize if I’m oozing smug, | 如果我显得有些臭屁那么请原谅… |
[33:58] | but it’s just too delicious ¨C the immunity extends to children. | 但是实在太爽了…他的孩子也享有这一豁免权 |
[34:03] | Isn’t it wonderful? | 是不是很美妙? |
[34:04] | Roland gets to go free. | Roland可以自由了 |
[34:06] | What the hell is this? | 这究竟是怎么回事? |
[34:07] | I suspected you might be ill-inclined to accept my word | 我想您大概对我的话听不太进去 |
[34:10] | so joined with me is Martin Adler from the Department of Justice. | 所以我请来了律政司的Martin Adler |
[34:14] | Good morning, Your Honor. | 早上好 法官大人 |
[34:15] | I represent the United States and appear at the request of the defendant, but certainly not in support of him. | 我代表政府 受被告之邀出庭 但绝不是站在他那一边 |
[34:21] | Regretfully, Mr. Huff has two valid claims of immunity. | 很遗憾地说 Huff先生确实有两项合法的豁免权 |
[34:25] | He is, in fact, the son of a diplomat. | 他的确是一名外交官的儿子 |
[34:29] | He is also listed as a member of his nation’s mission. | 他的名字也被列在外交使团人员之中 |
[34:33] | You have the declarations before you which, I’m loathe to say, are in order. | 在您宣布之前 我不得不说是必须这么做之前 你听到了我的证言 |
[34:38] | You are here from the Office of International Affairs requesting Mr. Huff’s unconditional release? | 你从国际事务中心跑来 要求无条件释放Huff? |
[34:47] | We have contacted the Croatian government, urged them to waive Mr. Huff’s immunity. | 我们已经联系过克罗地亚政府 急切要求他们免去Huff的豁免权 |
[34:51] | Unfortunately, this is a government that hardly ever does so. | 但不幸的是 该国政府不想开这个先河 |
[34:54] | This man shot and killed two people in cold blood. | 这个男人冷血地杀死了两个人 |
[35:02] | The main thing, Your Honor, is not to indulge compassion or tears. | 主要是 法官大人 我们不能沉浸在泪水和同情里 |
[35:06] | Or especially misplaced righteousness. | 特别是被不该出现的”公平”所左右 |
[35:08] | But simply to enforce the letter of the law. | 只要遵照法律的条文就行了 |
[35:13] | You can hold me in contempt if it’d make you feel better. | 你可以以藐视法庭把我抓起来 如果这能让你好过点的话 |
[35:23] | I just can’t believe it. | 我还是不敢相信 |
[35:26] | I feel like I could cry. | 我觉得自己要哭出来了 |
[35:29] | I wouldn’t do that. | 是我就不会 |
[35:33] | There is a catch, Roland. | 还没结束 Roland |
[35:34] | You’ll need to leave the country. | 你必须离开美国 |
[35:37] | What? | 什么? |
[35:39] | And go where? | 去哪儿? |
[35:41] | Croatia. | 克罗地亚 |
[35:43] | Mr. Adler over there and those officers will be taking you to the airport. | 那边的Adler先生和那些长官会送你去机场 |
[35:50] | Possibly as early as tonight. | 很可能就是今晚 |
[35:53] | I’ve never been to Croatia. | 我从没去过克罗地亚 |
[35:55] | Unfortunately, that’s the way the law works. | 不幸的是 法律就是这样 |
[35:57] | It’s either prison here, or | 要么在这里坐牢 要么… |
[35:59] | I don’t even know anybody there. | 那里我谁也不认识 |
[36:02] | I came here when I was three. | 我三岁就到这里了 |
[36:03] | Roland, you need to start a new life. | Roland 你需要开始新的生活 |
[36:06] | Maybe this is best. | 或许这是最好的结果 |
[36:10] | You might not get a chance to do that in this country. Not truly. | 在这里你可能不会有这样的机会 不是真正意义上的重新开始 |
[36:14] | Yeah. | 的确 |
[36:19] | I’ll never see my kids. | 我再也见不到我的孩子了 |
[36:29] | I just can’t believe he’d rather face prison than . | 我真不敢相信他宁愿坐牢 |
[36:34] | How could racism run so deeply? | 为什么种族主义可以那么深入到一个人的内心? |
[36:38] | You’ve got to be kidding. | 你是在说笑吧 |
[36:46] | It was— | 那是… |
[36:54] | it’s not a Jewish thing. | 那不是因为犹太人的关系 |
[36:58] | What is it then? | 那是因为什么? |
[37:01] | I adore you. | 我崇拜你 |
[37:04] | And I but it’s a man-woman thing. | 我…但是这是男女之间的事 |
[37:15] | I want to break up. | 我想分手 |
[37:18] | I’ve manufactured so many excuses to conceal the real one. | 我编了那么多借口来掩盖真正的原因 |
[37:30] | I’m not interested. | 我没有兴趣 |
[37:37] | Jamie, you and I, it’s just a thing. | Jamie 你和我 只是一段情而已 |
[37:40] | We both know that it’s no big deal. | 我们都知道这没什么大不了的 |
[37:42] | It isn’t? | 是吗? |
[37:46] | Since we work together, it’s probably not too practical for us to be here. | 从我们在一起工作开始 我们可能就不该走到一起 |
[37:53] | So let’s just move on. | 所以我们就各奔前程吧 |
[38:10] | Jury’s back. | 陪审团回来了 |
[38:13] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 |
[38:27] | It’s not too late. | 现在还来得及 |
[38:29] | I’m in God’s hands now, Mr. Young. | 我把命运交给上帝 Young先生 |
[38:33] | Madam Foreperson, I understand the jury has reached a verdict? | 陪审团主席 陪审团有一致审判了吗? |
[38:37] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的 法官大人 |
[38:38] | Will the defendant please rise. | 被告请起立 |
[38:48] | What say you? | 判决是? |
[38:49] | Commonwealth versus Jonathan Macklin on the charge of murder in the first degree, | 联邦政府起诉Jonathan Macklin一级谋杀一案 |
[38:54] | we the jury find the defendant, Jonathan Macklin, | 我们陪审团认为被告Jonathan Macklin |
[38:58] | guilty. | 有罪 |
[39:00] | Members of the jury, we thank you. | 群体陪审团 感谢你们 |
[39:02] | Security, take the defendant into custody. | 庭警 把被告送去羁押 |
[39:05] | We’re adjourned. | 我们休庭 |
[39:11] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[39:14] | This is what He intended. | 这就是他的目的 |
[39:16] | Good luck. | 祝你好运 |
[39:18] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:21] | I’ll be fine. | 我没事的 |
[39:56] | I was so sure, after the case was over that— | 我本以为案子结束之后… |
[40:03] | That you were expendable? | 觉得自己没有利用价值了? |
[40:07] | Just the opposite, Diane. | 恰恰相反 Diane |
[40:13] | Do you mind? | 你介意吗? |
[40:26] | Would you like to dance? | 愿意跳支舞吗? |
[40:29] | I would, but, | 我愿意 但是… |
[40:34] | I don’t know, I¡ | 我不知道 我… |
[40:40] | *Remember* | *请记得* |
[40:43] | *sunshine can be found* | *阳光就在* |
[40:48] | *behind a cloudy sky* | *朵朵的白云之后* |
[40:53] | *So let your hair down now* | *请披下你的长发* |
[40:58] | *and baby go on and cry* | *宝贝哭吧哭吧* |
[41:06] | *If your heartaches seem to hang around too long* | *如果你的心已经痛得太久太久* |
[41:16] | *long…* | *太久…* |
[41:21] | *And your blues keep getting bluer with each song* | *一曲曲布鲁斯越听越哀伤* |
[41:35] | *Well remember* | *请记住* |
[41:39] | *sunshine can be found behind a cloudy sky* | *阳光就在朵朵的白云之后* |
[41:49] | *Why don’t you let your hair down now baby go on and cry* | *为什么不披下你的长发 宝贝哭吧哭吧* |
[42:02] | *I said let your hair down* | *我说披下你的长发* |
[42:07] | *baby go on and cry* | *宝贝 哭吧哭吧* |