时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Stay where you are! | |
[00:05] | Excuse me. | 打扰一下 |
[00:07] | I¡¯m sorry to bother you¡ªare you a lawyer? | 抱歉打扰你了 你是律师吗? |
[00:10] | I am. | 我是 |
[00:11] | My name is Anna Viorka, and I need a lawyer. | 我叫Anna Viorka 我需要一名律师 |
[00:16] | I see. Do you have any money? | 我知道了 你有钱吗? |
[00:19] | Um¡ªsome¡ªtwelve dollars. | 嗯…厄…有12美元 |
[00:22] | I see. | 我知道了 |
[00:24] | You know twelve dollars barely covers the time it would take me to say, | 你瞧这区区12美元只够我对你说声 |
[00:27] | ¡°I can¡¯t help you.¡± | “我帮不了你” |
[00:29] | And since I¡¯ve already said it, give me the twelve bucks. | 既然我已经说了 就请把12美元给我吧 |
[00:32] | I¡¯m from Romania. | 我来自罗马尼亚 |
[00:33] | That¡¯s a nice country. Beautiful castles. | 美丽的国家 城堡很漂亮 |
[00:36] | I don¡¯t want to go back. Can you please help me? | 我不想回去 你能帮我吗? |
[00:39] | Anna. | |
[00:41] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么? |
[00:43] | I¡¯m not going back, dad. | 我不要回去 爸爸 |
[00:44] | What do you mean, you¡¯re not? | 什么叫”不回去”? |
[00:45] | I¡¯m not going. | 我不走了 |
[00:48] | Can you please help me? | 你能帮帮我吗? |
[00:50] | Anna! | |
[00:51] | What¡¯s going on here? | 发生了什么事? |
[00:52] | If I go back to Romania, they¡¯ll force me to get married. | 如果我回罗马尼亚 他们会强迫我结婚 |
[00:56] | Anna, let¡¯s go. | Anna 我们走吧 |
[00:57] | One second, sir. | 等一下 先生 |
[00:59] | What do you mean they¡¯re going to force you to get married? | 你说他们强迫你结婚是什么意思? |
[01:00] | They will, like they did with my sister. | 他们会像对待我姐姐一样对待我 |
[01:03] | This is a family matter, let go of me. | 这是我们的家事 放开我 |
[01:05] | Mr Viorka your daughter is represented by counsel. | Viorka先生 你的女儿有代理律师了 |
[01:10] | Sir, I¡¯m sure you don¡¯t mean to make trouble. | 先生 我想你不想自找麻烦吧 |
[01:13] | Oh, but I do. | 啊 我就想 |
[01:14] | You¡¯re a foreigner. | 你是外国人 |
[01:15] | Take your hand off the girl, | 把你的手从女孩身上移开 |
[01:16] | or I¡¯ll get you declared a person of interest, | 否则我会说你意图不轨 |
[01:18] | which means you¡¯ll be locked up forever without so much as a trial. | 到时候连官司也不用打 直接进监狱 在那儿呆一辈子 |
[01:21] | Don¡¯t think I kid you. | 别以为我在跟你开玩笑 |
[01:22] | This is the United States of America. | 这里是美利坚合众国 |
[01:24] | I¡¯m about to call for the police. | 我要叫警察了 |
[01:27] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[01:27] | I hate to interrupt, but this one¡¯s urgent, Your Honor. | 我讨厌打断您 但是事态紧急 法官大人 |
[01:30] | Alan Shore representing¡ | Alan Shore要成为… |
[01:32] | Is it Anya? | -你是叫Anya吗? |
[01:33] | Anna. Viorka. | |
[01:34] | Anna Viorka. Petition for political asylum. | Anna Viorka的律师 申请政治庇护 |
[01:37] | Res ipsa duce. | |
[02:08] | The Practice S8E09 | |
[02:18] | Where¡¯s the girl now? | 女孩现在在哪? |
[02:19] | Custody in the INS. | 由移民局监护 |
[02:21] | We have a hearing scheduled for two o¡¯clock. | 听证会被安排在两点 |
[02:22] | Why were you even there? | 你怎么会在那里的? |
[02:23] | I was filing an appeal on a household matter, | 我正等着提起一个家庭纠纷的起诉 |
[02:25] | and stumbled across the girl and her father. | 碰巧撞上了这对父女 |
[02:27] | Jamie, could you do some political asylum research for me? | Jamie 你能为我找点政治庇护的资料吗? |
[02:31] | I need it quickly, | 得快点 |
[02:32] | and also dig up whatever you can on the Roma faith. | 同时 也尽力查查罗马的宗教信仰 |
[02:35] | Roma? | 罗马? |
[02:36] | R-O-M-A, yes. | 罗马? 罗…马… 是的 |
[02:39] | Jimmy. Looking well. | Jimmy 气色不错 |
[02:42] | Meaning what? | 什么意思? |
[02:45] | He¡¯s always meaning something with his little comments. | 他这种说辞总是另有深意 |
[02:48] | Enough with the comments! | 我受不了了! |
[02:52] | Oh, you have a walk in. | 有人找你 |
[02:53] | Lawrence Gilbert. | |
[02:53] | He¡¯s in your office. | 在你办公室 |
[02:55] | He seems in need. | 似乎碰上了麻烦 |
[02:59] | Nine months ago, my wife was murdered. | 九个月前 我的妻子被谋杀了 |
[03:04] | I¡¯m sorry. | 我很遗憾 |
[03:06] | She had been stalked, | 她被人跟踪 |
[03:08] | and the police were unable to deter him, | 警方无法制止他 |
[03:13] | and eventually… | 最后… |
[03:16] | She was stabbed in our home. | 她被捅死在家里 |
[03:19] | I¡¯ve just come from the district attorney¡¯s office. | 我刚次地方检察官那里来 |
[03:22] | The trial is set to begin tomorrow, | 庭审明天开始 |
[03:23] | and I¡¯ve just been informed by the district attorney | 检察官刚刚和我通过气 |
[03:27] | that she intends to offer fifteen years. | 她打算起诉15年 |
[03:31] | I¡¯m here, | 我之所以来 |
[03:33] | wondering whether as the husband of the victim, | 是想知道作为被害人的丈夫 |
[03:35] | I have any rights to enjoin this. | ?我是否有权中止它 |
[03:37] | Actually, you don¡¯t. | 事实上 你不能 |
[03:41] | Clearly, if you were to pursue the defendant civilly, | 如果你是对被告主张民事权利 |
[03:43] | you¡¯d have rights, but in a criminal proceeding… | 你有这个权利 但是在刑事诉讼时… |
[03:46] | What about¡ª | 那如果… |
[03:48] | could we get it removed to a federal court? | 我们能把它换到联邦法院审理吗? |
[03:50] | I know the federal government sometimes claims jurisdiction for murder cases | 我知道有时候联邦政府对谋杀案有司法管辖权 |
[03:54] | so that they can impose the death penalty, | 使得他们能执行死刑判决 |
[03:55] | which this man deserves. | 这才是这个男人罪有应得的 |
[03:59] | Again, you would have no standing to try to influence a criminal prosecution. | 再说一次 你还是没有权利干涉刑事诉讼的进行 |
[04:04] | Do you think you could speak to this district attorney? | 你能帮我和检察官说说吗? |
[04:09] | This is what he did to her. | 这就是他对她做的 |
[04:11] | You can¡¯t do that to somebody, and only get fifteen years. | 你不可能只关这样一个人15年 |
[04:19] | Could you talk to this D.A.? | 你能和检察官谈谈吗? |
[04:28] | Sure. | 当然 |
[04:32] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[05:00] | So. Let¡¯s talk about your sister. | 那么 让我们来说说你的姐姐 |
[05:04] | How old is she? | 她多大了? |
[05:05] | She was thirteen when she got married. | 她结婚的时候13岁 |
[05:07] | Now she is sixteen. | 现在她16 在她结婚之后 厄… |
[05:10] | A-After she was married, um, | |
[05:14] | did she and…her new husband…uh….? | 她和…她的新婚丈夫…? |
[05:17] | Yes. | 有 |
[05:19] | My father waved the sheets with blood on them. | 我父亲抖了抖床单 上面有血迹 |
[05:24] | That¡¯s tradition, | 这是传统 |
[05:26] | to show that the marriage was consummated. | 证明圆房完婚了 |
[05:30] | ¡°Consummated¡± is a big word for a twelve-year-old to use. | “圆房”这个词对个12岁的女孩来说不好懂 |
[05:33] | There¡¯s some words I look up. | 有些字我查过字典 |
[05:35] | That¡¯s one of them. | 这是其中的一个 |
[05:38] | Why is your English so good? | 为什么你的英语这么好? |
[05:39] | You have no accent. | 没有口音 |
[05:41] | We lived with relatives in the United States for six years. | 我们在美国和亲戚住了6年 |
[05:45] | My mother was a visiting professor at Amherst. | 我妈妈是马萨诸塞大学的访问学者 |
[05:49] | And then we moved back two years ago, | 我们两年前搬了回去 |
[05:51] | and we¡¯ve been on vacation here for the last two weeks. | 这两个星期我们正在这里度假 |
[05:56] | Where does your mother stand in all this? | 在这事上 你妈妈的立场如何? |
[05:59] | With my father. | 她站在我爸爸那边 |
[06:06] | You think I want to give him murder two? | 你以为我只想给他二级谋杀的罪名吗? |
[06:08] | Look at my office. | 瞧瞧我的办公室 |
[06:09] | I¡¯m obsessed with getting this guy. | 我整天都想着抓住这家伙 |
[06:11] | I am just facing the possibility that I won¡¯t. | 只是要面对失手的可能 |
[06:14] | Walk with me. | 我们一起走 |
[06:16] | Why wouldn¡¯t you get him? | 为什么你抓不到他? |
[06:17] | It¡¯s all circumstantial. | 因为只有间接证据 |
[06:19] | No witnesses or forensics putting him in that house. | 没有目击者或司法证据 能证明他当时在场 |
[06:23] | Worse case scenario is, he walks. | 再糟糕点的话 他完全可能脱罪 |
[06:24] | I don¡¯t think Mr. Gilbert wants that to happen. | 我想Gilbert先生也不愿看到这一幕 |
[06:26] | Does this guy got any priors? | 这个家伙有前科吗? |
[06:27] | A ton. | 恶贯满盈 |
[06:29] | But if he doesn¡¯t testify, they don¡¯t come in, Eugene. | 但是只要他不作证 这些就不会抖出来 Eugene |
[06:31] | Look. | 瞧 |
[06:32] | I am not saying that we¡¯re not going to get him. | 我不是说 我们抓不住他 |
[06:34] | I¡¯m just saying it¡¯s a risk. | 我只是说里面有风险 |
[06:35] | I¡¯ve explained this to your client. | 我已经对你的委托人解释过了 |
[06:37] | He¡¯s just too emotional to hear it. | 他太感情用事了 听不进去 |
[06:39] | And by the way, the defendant turned down the fifteen. | 顺便说一句 被告拒绝了15年 |
[06:43] | What does that tell you? | 你知道这意味什么吗? |
[06:50] | I notified the attorney general¡¯s office. They don¡¯t oppose. | 我上报了总检察长办公室 他们没有驳回 |
[06:53] | Well, I do. | 可我要 |
[06:55] | Your Honor, all I¡¯m asking is that the girl be questioned in chambers | 法官大人 我只是要求让女孩 在您的办公室里接受问讯 |
[06:58] | instead of a big, intimidating theatre. | 而不是在一个大而吓人的场所里 |
[07:00] | Come on. | 拜托了 |
[07:01] | The courtroom is where we conduct all our legal business, | 法庭是我们办理各种法律事务的场所 |
[07:03] | openly and notoriously, | 开诚布公 人人皆知 |
[07:05] | in keeping with the Constitution, and the intent of our founding fathers. | 与宪法精神一致 是传承我们先辈的衣钵 |
[07:09] | I do all my business openly and notoriously, Counsel. | 我做事就是要公开 人人皆知 律师 |
[07:14] | All of it. | 所有的事 |
[07:15] | How ¡®bout sex, Your Honor? | 做爱也是吗 法官大人? |
[07:18] | You¡¯ve brought before me a motion for political asylum, Counsel. | 你已经当面向我提出了政治庇护的动议 律师 |
[07:23] | That is a very serious piece of legal business. | 这是件非常严肃的案子 |
[07:25] | It will be tried and adjudicated in the courtroom. | 审在法庭 判在法庭 |
[07:33] | It¡¯s not that she won¡¯t get him; she very well may. | 不是说她逮不到他 相反她很可能做到 |
[07:36] | On murder one? | 一级谋杀罪吗? |
[07:37] | Well, that could be tough. More likely murder two, or…. | 那有点难度 更可能是二级谋杀 或者… |
[07:41] | Thirty-one times he stabbed her. | 他捅了她31刀 |
[07:43] | What could be more heinous than that? | 还有什么比这更凶恶的呢? |
[07:45] | Wi-with that many wounds… | 尽管伤口很多… |
[07:48] | clearly, he kept stabbing her after she was dead. | 很显然 他是在她死后继续捅的她 |
[07:51] | Now, that suggests a rage or mental state that goes more to murder two¡ª | 所以 这里面暗示存在情绪失控 更符合二级谋杀的… |
[07:56] | So he could get parole? | 那他以后可以假释了? |
[07:59] | This man deserves to get a bullet right between his eyes. | 这个男人就该在眉心吃颗子弹 |
[08:02] | Look, she trying for murder one. She is a good D.A. | 瞧 她在为一级谋杀罪努力 她是个办事得力的检察官 |
[08:07] | You mentioned going after him civilly. | 你曾提起对他进行民事诉讼 |
[08:09] | I¡¯d like to do that. | 我想那么做 |
[08:10] | Mr. Gilbert¡ª | -Gilbert先生… -我要这么做 |
[08:10] | I¡¯d like to do that. | -Gilbert先生… -我要这么做 |
[08:12] | He comes from money. | 他是有钱人家 |
[08:13] | I know he has a house. | 我知道他有栋房子 |
[08:14] | Mr. Gilbert. | Gilbert先生 |
[08:16] | People sometimes get consumed by hatred. | 人有时会被仇恨冲昏头脑 |
[08:21] | Don¡¯t let this man make you more of a victim than you already are. | 你已经是受害人了 别让这个男人让你更惨 |
[08:26] | I think it would empower me to sue him civilly. | 我想我有权利对他进行民事起诉 |
[08:30] | Would you represent me? | 你愿意做我的律师吗? |
[08:33] | Let me monitor the criminal trial for a day or two, | 让我先跟进眼下的刑事诉讼一两天 |
[08:35] | and I¡¯ll let you know. | 然后再答复你 |
[08:39] | Assuming you are going to sue this man civilly, | 如果你真要对这个男人提起民事诉讼 |
[08:42] | let me give you some advice. | 让我给你些建议 |
[08:44] | It¡¯s illegal to use a criminal case for the purpose of advancing a civil one. | 利用刑事案件来使民事诉讼获益是不合法的 |
[08:48] | Now, I know you¡¯re not doing that, but… | 我知道你不是想这么做 但是… |
[08:53] | Ms. Alexander tells me you¡¯ve been to the U.S. Attorney¡¯s office, | Alexander女士告诉我 你已经去过检察长办公室 |
[08:57] | pressuring them. | 给他们施压 |
[09:01] | In federal courts, they have the death penalty. | 在联邦法院有死刑量刑 |
[09:04] | That¡¯s what he deserves: | 这男人罪该 |
[09:06] | death. | 受死 |
[09:09] | Well, if you hope to have a civil claim at all, | 好吧 如果你还是想进行民事诉讼 |
[09:12] | you need to lay off the prosecutors. | 你先要让公诉人放手 |
[09:21] | A Chinese girl was granted asylum three years ago. | 三年前有个中国女孩得到了庇护 |
[09:23] | A forced marriage? | 强迫婚姻? |
[09:24] | That¡¯s the good news, but it¡¯s not precedent. | 这是好消息 可惜不能做为判例 |
[09:26] | And, Ashcroft has since recalled for further review all cases | Ashcroft(司法部长)从那以后要求重新审核所有的案子 |
[09:29] | involving gender as a basis for asylum, | 包括以性别作为提供庇护依据的案子 |
[09:32] | including forced marriages. | 包括强迫婚姻 |
[09:34] | Great. | 好极了 |
[09:37] | Jimmy! | |
[09:39] | Continuing to look well. | 气色还是很好 |
[09:41] | As are you, Alan. | 你也是 Alan |
[09:43] | I¡¯m afraid it¡¯s against the law for you specifically to stand there. | 我恐怕你杵在这里是违法的 |
[09:50] | Fire code….no egress. | 消防条例…没逃生通道了 |
[09:52] | Another ¡°fat¡± comment, Al? | 你又是在说我胖吗 Al? |
[09:55] | Alright, Jimmy, I must warn you, in addition to my knowing jujitsu, | 好吧 Jimmy 我必须警告你 除了我闻名遐迩的柔道身手 |
[10:00] | I¡¯m also a direct descendant of Johnny Quest. | 我也是Johnny Quest的传人 (一部动画片里的冒险家) |
[10:05] | See how the lips move while very few words come out? | 瞧虽然嘴皮在动 但却没有什么话出来 |
[10:08] | Keep it up, Shore. | 你继续吧 Shore |
[10:10] | Keep it up. | 你继续吧 |
[10:11] | Hey! | 嘿! |
[10:15] | The next-door neighbor had noticed a car parked several nights on their street, | 有个邻居注意到一辆轿车 在他们街道上停过几个晚上 |
[10:19] | with a man sitting inside, | 车里有一个男人 |
[10:22] | looking at a laptop computer. | 盯着一台笔记本电脑看 |
[10:24] | Did she get a look at the driver? | 她看清司机的脸了吗? |
[10:26] | No, | 没有 |
[10:26] | but she took down the plate number, then called us after the murder. | 但她记下来车牌号码 然后在凶案发生后报了警 |
[10:30] | The car was registered to Jake Spooner, the defendant. | 这辆车登记在Jake Spooner名下 也就是被告 |
[10:33] | We secured a search warrant for Mr. Spooner¡¯s home in Cambridge and executed it. | 我们拿到了许可证 搜查了Spooner先生在剑桥的房子 |
[10:37] | And what did you find, Detective? | 你发现了什么 侦探? |
[10:38] | On the defendant¡¯s computer we found hours of video footage of the Gilbert¡¯s nursery. | 在被告的计算机上 我们发现了被录下的Gilbert家数小时的育儿录像 |
[10:43] | Did you determine the source? | 你有发现是在那儿拍的吗? |
[10:45] | Yes. | 有 |
[10:46] | The Giberts had a camera in the room. | Giberts家在屋子里设有一台摄像机 |
[10:48] | They used it as a baby monitor. | 他们用来监控宝宝 |
[10:50] | It was over their daughter¡¯s crib. | 就在他们女儿婴儿床上方 |
[10:52] | Okay, but how did these images end up on the defendant¡¯s computer? | 好的 那为什么这些影像会跑到被告的计算机上? |
[10:55] | He¡¯s the one who installed the camera, | 摄像头是他安装的 |
[10:57] | as well as the other electronics in the victim¡¯s house. | 包括被害人家里的其它电子设备 |
[11:00] | And he also set up a system to intercept their videos. | 同时他也安装了一套系统 来截取这些图像 |
[11:04] | And, Detective, | 那么侦探 你能告诉我们在被告电脑上 那些录像的内容吗? |
[11:04] | can you tell us what these videos on the defendant¡¯s computer showed? | 那么侦探 你能告诉我们在被告电脑上 那些录像的内容吗? |
[11:09] | On one file, well, it was mostly the baby sleeping. | 有一个文件 基本上都是孩子在睡觉 |
[11:12] | Sometimes Tracy Gilbert came in the room and played with her baby. | 有时候 Tracy Gilbert会走进房间和宝宝玩耍 |
[11:15] | And twice she breast fed her child. | 有两次她给孩子哺乳 |
[11:18] | Mr. Gilbert was on it, too, feeding her a bottle. | 也有Gilbert先生 用奶瓶喂她 |
[11:21] | But there was another file, | 但还有一个文件里 |
[11:22] | where he had edited together scenes and digitally manipulated them, | 他把几个场景编辑在一起 并用数码软件修改了它们 |
[11:26] | giving them some special effects that he added. | 给里面加入了一点他的特效 |
[12:07] | So basically, he made a movie. | 也既是说 他制作了部电影 |
[12:10] | A graphic, disturbing movie. | 一部生动的 令人不安的电影 |
[12:13] | Detective, Tracy Gilbert had been stabbed thirty times? | 侦探 Tracy Gilbert被捅了30下吗? |
[12:16] | Over thirty. | 不止30下 |
[12:17] | Would it be fair to say | 那能不能这么说 |
[12:18] | whoever killed her would likely be soaked in her blood? | 杀死她的人一定浑身是她的血 |
[12:22] | Yes. | 是的 |
[12:23] | And, yet, you found none of Mrs. Gilbert¡¯s blood on any of my client¡¯s clothes, did you? | 而你并没有在我委托人的衣服上 发现任何Gilbert女士的血迹? |
[12:27] | No. | 没有 |
[12:28] | What about his house? | 那房子里呢? |
[12:30] | Not blood, | 没有血迹 |
[12:31] | but his prints were all over the victim¡¯s house. | 但受害者的房子里到处都是他的指纹 |
[12:33] | But he¡¯d been in the house fixing some equipment a week before, right? | 但是一星期前他给房子修过设备 不是吗? |
[12:37] | That¡¯s correct. | 没错 |
[12:39] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[12:39] | No further questions, Detective. | 没有别的要问了 侦探 |
[12:44] | Ms. Alexander? | Alexander女士? |
[12:45] | Nothing, Your Honor. | 没有了 法官大人 |
[12:47] | We¡¯ll recess, resume with our next witness after lunch. | 我们休庭 午饭后继续听取下个证人的证词 |
[13:14] | I don¡¯t even like him. | 我甚至不喜欢他 |
[13:16] | Like who, Anna? | 喜欢谁 Anna? |
[13:17] | The boy that I¡¯m supposed to marry. | 那个我要嫁的男孩 |
[13:19] | I don¡¯t think he¡¯s nice, I don¡¯t think he¡¯s cute, | 我觉得他人不好 也不可爱 |
[13:23] | I don¡¯t think he¡¯s anything. | 我觉得他什么都不是 |
[13:25] | Now, Anna, in Romania, | 现在 Anna 在罗马尼亚 |
[13:28] | the legal age for marriage is eighteen, am I right? | 法定结婚年龄是18岁 我没说错吧 |
[13:31] | Yes, but we are Roma. | 是的 但我们是罗马人 |
[13:34] | That¡¯s our religious faith. | 那是我们的宗教信仰 |
[13:36] | Tradition is that they arrange child weddings all the time. | 我们的一贯传统就是要安排小孩子结婚 |
[13:41] | My sister got married at thirteen. | 我的姐姐13岁时就结婚了 |
[13:45] | And she had to have sex. | 她不得不在那时发生了性行为 |
[13:49] | I don¡¯t want to have sex. | 我不想做爱 |
[13:52] | You say these arranged marriages happen a lot? | 你是说这样的包办婚姻很平常吗? |
[13:54] | Yes. | 是的 |
[13:56] | Some of your friends get married in this way? | 你的一些朋友也是这样结婚的? |
[13:58] | Yes. | 是的 |
[13:59] | Are they okay with it? | 他们能接受吗? |
[14:01] | Maybe they are, but I¡¯m not. | 或许是的 但我不行 |
[14:03] | Are you afraid of this boy? | 你害怕这个男孩吗? |
[14:05] | No, I just don¡¯t want to marry him. | 不 我只是不想嫁给他 |
[14:07] | Or anybody else. | 或是别的人 |
[14:09] | Now let¡¯s talk about your mom and dad. | 现在我们说说你的父母 |
[14:12] | Do you love them? | 你爱他们吗? |
[14:13] | I do, | 我爱 |
[14:14] | but that doesn¡¯t mean that I have to follow all their ancient rules, | 但这并不意味着我得遵照他们的旧俗 |
[14:18] | especially the ones that are barbaric. | 特别是其中粗野的部分 |
[14:21] | Barbaric? | 粗野? |
[14:22] | Did your lawyer tell you to use that word? | 是你的律师让你用这个字眼的吗? |
[14:23] | Objection. I told her to use | 反对 我是让她说 |
[14:24] | ¡°reprehensible,¡± ¡°repugnant,¡± and ¡°criminal.¡± | “该受指摘的” “令人反感的”和”犯罪的” |
[14:27] | She came up with ¡°barbaric¡± all on her own. | “粗野”完全是她自己想出来的词 |
[14:30] | Continue. | 继续 |
[14:31] | What do you think of America, Anna? | 你觉得美国怎么样 Anna? |
[14:34] | I love it. | 我爱它 |
[14:36] | Tell me…. | 那告诉我… |
[14:37] | excluding this marriage business, | 除去包办婚姻不谈 |
[14:39] | if you could choose which country you¡¯d rather live in, what would it be? | 让你选择居住的国家 会是哪个? |
[14:43] | America. | 美国 |
[14:45] | I see. | 我懂了 |
[14:48] | Is it possible this might be more about your wanting to stay here | 有没有可能是因为你更想留在这里 |
[14:52] | than it is your fearing going back there? | 而并非害怕回去呢? |
[14:55] | It¡¯s about me not wanting to get married. | 是因为我不想结婚 |
[14:58] | It¡¯s about me not wanting to have to be raped | 是因为我不想被一个 |
[15:01] | by some fifteen-year-old boy I don¡¯t even like. | 我不喜欢的15岁男孩强奸 |
[15:12] | A client? | 委托人? |
[15:13] | A former client. | 曾经的委托人 |
[15:14] | I¡ªI represented him ten, twelve years ago¡ªI mean, | 我…我在10…12年前做过他的律师 |
[15:17] | his name didn¡¯t ring a bell, | 他的名字没让我想起什么 |
[15:18] | but when I saw his face¡ª | 但当我看见他的脸… |
[15:20] | When you represented him, what was he charged with? | 你做他律师的时候 他被起诉了什么? |
[15:26] | Murder. | 谋杀 |
[15:30] | You got him off. | 你帮他脱罪了 |
[15:31] | Look, Mr. Gilbert, I was doing my job. | 瞧 Gilbert先生 我是在做我的工作 |
[15:33] | It¡ªit¡¯s not like I liked the guy. | 不是..不是说我站在这个家伙一边 |
[15:37] | Listen, obviously, I would have a conflict representing you against him, | 听着 显然我再做你的律师起诉他是不合适的了 |
[15:43] | bu¡ªbut let me do this: | 但…但让我这样做吧 |
[15:45] | I¡¯ll monitor the trial a little bit more, | 我会继续跟进案子的审理 |
[15:47] | I¡¯ll assess your case. | 给你提供评估意见 |
[15:49] | That much I can do. | 我只能做这么多 |
[15:55] | If she is this opposed, | 如果她如此反对 |
[15:56] | I won¡¯t make her go through with it. | 我不会强迫她接受的 |
[15:58] | Well, according to Anna, her sister was opposed. | 嗯 按照Anna的说法 她的姐姐曾抗议过 |
[16:01] | She was crying and screaming | 当大家把她带进教堂时 |
[16:02] | when they brought her into the church. | 她又哭又叫 |
[16:03] | She had to go through with it. | 却不得不接受了 |
[16:04] | The ceremony was halted, | 婚典中止过 |
[16:06] | and continued only after she agreed. | 直到她同意了才继续 |
[16:08] | Under duress? | 在强迫下? |
[16:10] | Mr. Shore, my daughter is afraid she¡¯ll miss her friends here. | Shore先生 我的女儿是怕会想念这里的朋友 |
[16:15] | That¡¯s what this is about. | 只是如此而已 |
[16:17] | I¡¯m sure there are many kids coming out of Disneyland and seeking asylum, too¡ª | 我肯定很多从迪斯尼乐园出来的孩子 也想要庇护(不愿离开) |
[16:20] | You are forcing your twelve-year-old daughter to be married, sir. | 你在强迫你12岁的女儿结婚 先生 |
[16:23] | Please don¡¯t equate that with¡ª | 请不要拿它相提并论于… |
[16:24] | There are Mormon families who do that in this country¡ª | 在这个国家里 摩门教徒也是这么做的… |
[16:27] | -The Mormon church does not sanction marriage¡ª -But it happens. | -摩门教会不会批准这样的婚姻… -但确实发生了 |
[16:30] | It goes on, and the police don¡¯t always enforce the law against it, do they, Mr. Shore? | 不停的发生 警察没有每次都搬出法律来 反对它们 不是吗 Shore先生? |
[16:35] | How ¡®bout we strike a deal, then? | 那我们谈个条件怎么样? |
[16:36] | You leave your daughter here, we¡¯ll raise her in Utah. | 你把女儿留在这儿 我们在犹他州抚养她 (美国摩门教徒多集中在犹他州) |
[16:39] | Objection! | 反对! |
[16:40] | Our marital success rate far surpasses the divorce numbers in this country. | 我们婚姻的成功率远远胜于 这个国家的离婚人数 |
[16:45] | It just goes to show what a little servitude¡¯ll get you, right, Mr. Viorka? | 从中也可以看出一个奴隶制的好处 是吗 Viorka先生? |
[16:47] | Mr. Shore¡ª! | Shore先生! |
[16:52] | What happens now? | 现在该做什么? |
[16:54] | Well, tomorrow morning, we hear from your mother. | 嗯…明天早上 我们让你母亲出庭 |
[16:58] | Tell me about her. | 和我说说她 |
[17:00] | She¡¯s very nice. | 她人很好 |
[17:02] | Smart. | 聪明 |
[17:04] | A professor. | 是个教授 |
[17:05] | If you had trouble with my dad, | 如果你和我父亲有分歧 |
[17:08] | you¡¯ll be NO match for her. | 那你和她也不会合得来 |
[17:11] | You don¡¯t think I¡¯m any match for YOU, do you? | 你不会觉得我和你合得来吧? |
[17:17] | How are we doing? | 我们的情势如何? |
[17:19] | Political asylum is tough, Anna. | 政治庇护很难申请 Anna |
[17:23] | Though the whole word apparently hates us right now, | 尽管现在全世界都在和我们作对 |
[17:26] | we still seem to be the destination of choice. | 我们还是很有赢的可能 |
[17:30] | Do you think you could take me away from here? | 你可以带我离开这里吗? |
[17:35] | Just for an hour or two? | 就一两个小时 |
[17:37] | It¡¯s so depressing here. | 这里太压抑了 |
[17:40] | I¡¯ll tell you what. | 这么对你说吧 |
[17:41] | I¡¯ll try to persuade the judge to let me take you out for breakfast. | 我会说服法官 让我带你出去吃顿早饭 |
[17:49] | May I ask, do you have children? | 请允许我问一下 你有孩子了吗? |
[17:53] | I¡¯m sure I must. | 我想肯定会有的 |
[17:57] | I know you¡¯re gonna win. | 我知道你会打赢的 |
[18:02] | When I was looking around the courtroom yesterday, | 昨天我在法庭里张望 |
[18:04] | deciding what lawyer to run up to, | 想决定求助于哪个律师时 |
[18:08] | I saw your face, | 我看见了你的脸 |
[18:10] | and I knew¡ª | 然后我知道… |
[18:12] | you would be the one to save me. | 你会救下我 |
[18:18] | The victim was stabbed thirty-one times, | 被害人被捅了31刀 |
[18:21] | over her face, neck, torso, hands. | 在她的脸 颈部 躯干 手上 |
[18:24] | The blows were of such a force, | 由于力道过猛 |
[18:26] | her head was almost separated from her body. | 头部几乎和身体分离 |
[18:28] | What can you tell us about the weapon? | 对于凶器你能告诉我们些什么? |
[18:31] | It was a knife, with a 6 1/4 inch blade, serrated edges. | 是一把刀 长6又1/4英寸 边缘有锯齿状 |
[18:35] | Do you know if the knife was ever located? | 你知道这把刀的下落吗? |
[18:37] | It was not; | 还没有 |
[18:38] | however, we found this knife set in the defendant¡¯s kitchen. | 但是 我们在被告的厨房里发现了一套刀具组合 |
[18:42] | The set is always sold with five knives of varying lengths. | 它是以5把长度不同的刀为一套成组销售的 |
[18:46] | The defendant had only four knives. | 而被告只剩下了四把 |
[18:49] | The one with the serrated 6 1/4 inch blade was missing. | 那把长6又1/4英寸 边缘有锯齿状的刀不见了 |
[18:53] | Tests showed that the wounds to Mrs. Gilbert¡¯s body were consistent with the missing knife. | 测试证明Gilbert夫人身体上的伤口和此刀吻合 |
[18:58] | And did the wounds tell you anything about the killer? | 那伤口有没有告诉你关于凶手的细节? |
[19:01] | From the angles of penetration, | 从刺穿的角度看 |
[19:03] | we determined that the killer was over six feet, and left handed. | 我们认定凶手身高超过六英尺 左撇子 |
[19:08] | The knife you¡¯re referring to, would it surprise you to learn | 你所提及的这把刀 和它相同的刀在过去三年里波士顿地区 |
[19:10] | that five thousand identical knives were sold in the last three years in the Boston area? | 就卖出来5000把 你是否会惊讶呢? |
[19:15] | No. | 不会 |
[19:17] | And to confirm, you never found the murder weapon. | 再确认一下 你们从未找到过凶器 |
[19:21] | No, we did not. | 是的 我们没有 |
[19:27] | Yes, it¡¯s circumstantial, but from where I sit, he¡¯s going away. | 没错 都是间接证据 但是在我看来 他没戏了 |
[19:31] | Murder One? | 一级谋杀? |
[19:32] | Well, that I don¡¯t know. | 嗯…那我不知道 |
[19:35] | I have here an article. | 我这有篇文章 |
[19:37] | It says where the federal government can also bring civil rights charges, | 上面说联邦政府也可以接受民事起诉 |
[19:41] | and it doesn¡¯t amount to double jeopardy. | 也不算违反一罪不受两次审理原则 |
[19:44] | Does the death penalty ever apply to these civil rights cases? | 死刑判决有没有在民事权利诉讼中发生过? |
[19:51] | Mr. Gilbert, | Gilbert先生 |
[19:57] | I would never presume to know what you¡¯re going through, but, um…. | 我知道自己永远无法体会你的感受 但是… |
[20:04] | are you getting counseling? | 你有做过心理咨询吗? |
[20:08] | See I¡ªI took the liberty of looking at some of those videos, | 瞧…我擅自看了那些录像带中的一部分 |
[20:12] | and there was on in particular. | 其中有一幕 |
[20:14] | You were sitting in a chair, feeding your daughter, | 你做在椅子上 喂你的女儿 |
[20:17] | and what I saw was a father, | 在我眼中那是一位父亲 |
[20:20] | a man full of love, somebody tender. | 一个充满爱 温柔的男人 |
[20:25] | What I see sitting across from me now | 而现在站在我眼前的 |
[20:29] | is a man dominated by hate. | 是一个被仇恨控制的男人 |
[20:32] | Now while your rage is certainly understandable, | 尽管我能理解你的愤怒 |
[20:36] | I would think that what your wife would want for your daughter | 但我认为你的妻子会希望你为女儿着想 |
[20:41] | is for you to try to be the man that I saw in that video. | 做回那个我在录像里看到的男人 |
[20:48] | I, uh, | 我…厄… |
[20:53] | I don¡¯t really know how to do anything else right now, | 我现在真的不知道还能做什么别的事 |
[20:58] | besides hate him. | 除了恨他之外 |
[21:04] | And, to be honest, | 而且 说实话 |
[21:08] | I hate you a little as well, | 我也有点恨你 |
[21:14] | for getting him off ten years ago…. | 让他在10年前逃罪 |
[21:16] | for putting…. | 让我忍受… |
[21:21] | I¡¯m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[21:27] | Well, my testimony is first up. | 明天我要第一个作证 |
[21:30] | I suppose I should get some rest. | 该去休息一下了 |
[21:50] | Should I give you the big ¡°defense attorney¡± speech? | 要我来给你一段被告律师职责的长篇大论吗? |
[21:56] | I gave that speech to my wife at the time. | 我那时对我的妻子说过这番话 |
[21:59] | I gave her the line, you know, | 我告诉过她我们的职责所在 |
[22:01] | uh, we represent the guilty, | 我们会为有罪着辩护 |
[22:02] | thus, ultimately, protecting the innocent. | 从而最终保护那些无辜的人 |
[22:09] | This is one of the innocents I was protecting. | 这是我曾保护过的无辜者 |
[22:23] | After he had worked for us, he kept coming around, | 在为我们工作之后 他就不断在附近出没 |
[22:25] | presumably to check the equipment he installed. | 我们猜是他想检查自己安装的设备 |
[22:28] | Did this strike you as strange? | 这有没有让你觉得奇怪? |
[22:30] | Perhaps a little, but we weren¡¯t alarmed, | 或许有一点儿 但我们没有警惕起来 |
[22:32] | until Tracy started to notice him at the market, | 直到Tracy开始在超市也看见他 |
[22:36] | the gym, | 还有在健身房 |
[22:37] | her art class. | 她的艺术课上 |
[22:38] | He was everywhere she went. | 她去的每个地发都会有他 |
[22:40] | We soon realized, he was stalking her. | 我们很快意识到 他是在跟踪她 |
[22:42] | Did you go to the police? | 你们报警了吗? |
[22:44] | We did. | 报了 |
[22:45] | They said since these were all public places, | 他们说这些都是公共场合 |
[22:47] | there was nothing they could really do. | 他们干涉不了 |
[22:50] | And, Mr. Gilbert, at some point, | Gilbert先生 从某种程度上说 |
[22:51] | you confronted the defendant, did you not? | 你和被告正面对质过 是吗? |
[22:53] | Yes. | 是的 |
[22:55] | Two days before the murder, | 就在谋杀发生的两天前 |
[22:56] | I asked him to refrain from following my wife. | 我要他不要在跟着我的妻子 |
[22:59] | I told him he was scaring her, and my family, | 我告诉他这让她害怕 还有我的家庭 |
[23:02] | and I stated I was afraid for her safety. | 我也说了自己对她的安全感到担忧 |
[23:04] | And how did he respond? | 那他是怎么回答的? |
[23:06] | He said if he wanted to harm her, | 他说如果他想伤害她 |
[23:08] | he wouldn¡¯t just follow her around. | 他就不会只跟在她屁股后面转 |
[23:13] | My client had been in your house many times. | 我的委托人去过你房子很多次 |
[23:16] | Yes, doing electrical work. | 是的 为了安装线路 |
[23:18] | Even as recent as a week before the murder, he was in your house. | 就在凶杀发生的前一个星期 他还进过你的家 |
[23:21] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:22] | So, you didn¡¯t regard him as a threat. | 所以 你并不视他为一个威胁 |
[23:25] | We were getting nervous, | 我们觉得紧张 |
[23:27] | but we attributed it to our own paranoia. | 但我们把它归咎于自己的妄想 |
[23:30] | Then, about a week before, | 那么 大约一个星期前 |
[23:32] | he entered the house without knocking, | 他没有敲门就进来了 |
[23:34] | and it jolted my wife. | 吓了我妻子一大跳 |
[23:36] | That¡¯s when I went to the police. | 就在那时我报了警 |
[23:38] | Two days after that, I confronted him. | 两天之后 我和他正面对质 |
[23:40] | I assume you loved your wife very much. | 我想你非常爱你的妻子 |
[23:42] | You assume correctly. | 你说的没错 |
[23:44] | Love anyone else as well? | 还有爱着其他人吗? |
[23:47] | I beg your pardon? | 你再说一遍? |
[23:50] | Were you having an affair at the time of your wife¡¯s death? | 在你妻子死之时 你是否正有外遇? |
[23:58] | Did you kill your wife, Mr. Gilbert? | 是你杀害了你的妻子吗 Gilbert先生? |
[23:59] | Objection! | 反对! |
[24:00] | Miss Willow, you¡¯d better have a good faith basis for that question. | Willow小姐 你问这样的问题 最好有确实的怀疑理由 |
[24:04] | Sidebar, Your Honor. | 请允许我上前 法官大人 |
[24:12] | What¡¯s this about? | 这是怎么回事? |
[24:13] | Your Honor, last night, I received an anonymous message. | 法官大人 昨天晚上 我收到了一份匿名信 |
[24:17] | I submit a copy for your review. | 我把它的复印件呈送给您过目 |
[24:20] | It may be completely bogus, | 或许它所写非实 |
[24:21] | but since it alleges that Mr. Gilbert was having an affair, | 但既然它声称Gilbert有外遇 |
[24:24] | and that he is the killer of his wife, Tracy, | 并且他就是杀死Tracy的凶手 |
[24:26] | bogus or not, it¡¯s enough to give me good faith for asking the question. | 不管真假 我都有足够的理由来问他 |
[24:32] | I¡¯ll allow it. | 我允许 |
[24:33] | Your Honor, I really¡ª | 法官大人 我… |
[24:33] | But you¡¯re on a short leash. | 但你不准问得太过分 |
[24:37] | Now step back. | 现在退下吧 |
[24:45] | Let¡¯s start with the affair, Mr. Gilbert. | 让我们从外遇说起 Gilbert先生 |
[24:47] | Were you in love with another woman at the time of your wife¡¯s murder? | 在你妻子被谋杀之际 你是否和另一个女人有外遇? |
[24:58] | I¡¯d like to exercise my Fifth Amendment right not to answer. | 我要引用第五修正案 拒绝回答这个问题 |
[25:10] | It had nothing to do with this case. | 这和案子无关 |
[25:13] | Mr. Gilbert, it may be irrelevant, but we¡ª | Gilbert先生 这或许是没关系 但是我们… |
[25:15] | She¡¯s married. | 她结婚了 |
[25:17] | She has a family. | 她有家庭 |
[25:18] | I ca¡ªI can¡¯t. I can¡¯t do this to them. | 我…我不能 我不能对他们这么做 |
[25:24] | What the hell is going on? | 这究竟是怎么了? |
[25:25] | Am I free to say what you¡¯ve told me? | 我能不能把你告诉我的说出来? |
[25:27] | No. | 不行 |
[25:28] | Let me tell you something. | 那让我来告诉你吧 |
[25:31] | If you plead the Fifth, | 如果你要援引第五修正案 |
[25:32] | you gift wrap reasonable doubt with a big, red bow. | 就等于把一个”合理怀疑”打了个 大大的红色蝴蝶结送给他们 |
[25:35] | Do you understand me? | 你明白我的意思吗? |
[25:40] | The fact of the matter is, Mr. Gilbert, | 关键是 Gilbert先生 |
[25:42] | you have no alibi for the night of the murder. | 谋杀那晚 你没有不在场证明 |
[25:45] | Nobody can verify that they saw you working late. | 没有人能证明你工作到很晚 |
[25:48] | The reason we dismissed you as a suspect is we had no motive. | 我们之所以排出了你 是因为我们找不到动机 |
[25:51] | Now, we do. | 现在 我们有了 |
[25:52] | Hold on a second! | 等一下! |
[25:52] | I¡¯m not trying to threaten you. | 我不是想威胁你 |
[25:54] | I¡¯m just making you aware. | 我只是想提醒你 |
[25:56] | This is what the defense attorney will play like a trombone. | 这是被告律师会大肆宣扬的东西 |
[26:01] | Our only chance now is to explore this affair, | 我们唯一的机会就是把这段绯闻说清楚 |
[26:04] | rule you out as a suspect. | 把你排除在嫌疑之外 |
[26:06] | I¡¯m not talking about the affair. | 我不会讲这段外遇 |
[26:14] | Well, then, we¡¯re done, Mr. Gilbert. | 那我们就完蛋了 Gilbert先生 |
[26:18] | I¡¯ll certainly keep prosecuting, | 诉讼我会继续下去 |
[26:21] | but we¡¯re done. | 但我们没戏唱了 |
[26:37] | I was married when I was twelve. | 我在12岁时结的婚 |
[26:40] | My mother was married when she was fourteen. | 我母亲 14岁 |
[26:42] | My grandmother was married when she was thirteen. | 我奶奶 13岁 |
[26:45] | All arraigned marriages? | 都是包办婚姻? |
[26:47] | Yes. | 是的 |
[26:48] | All successful as well, I might add. | 我得补充一句 都很美满 |
[26:50] | But, Mrs. Viorka, | 但是 Viorka夫人 |
[26:52] | now you do appreciate that the idea is a little offensive to Americans. | 你是否理解这种思想 在美国人看来是有点不能接受? |
[26:56] | I do. | 我知道 |
[26:58] | But Americans have trouble comprehending non-romantic unions. | 但美国人对外遇的理解却很有问题 |
[27:02] | Well, marriage without love¡ª | 可是 没有爱的婚姻… |
[27:05] | Marriage is about family; | 婚姻是关于家庭 |
[27:07] | partnerships for parenting. | 相濡以沫 哺育后代 |
[27:10] | In our faith, | 在我们的观念里 |
[27:11] | it¡¯s also about preserving ethnic identity. | 这也是在保留民族特性 |
[27:15] | And by the way, | 顺便说一句 |
[27:16] | arraigned marriages still go on in the United States, | 包办婚姻在美国也存在 |
[27:20] | however quietly, | 只是很低调 |
[27:21] | for this very reason. | 就由于这个原因 |
[27:23] | In the United States? | 在美国? |
[27:24] | Yes. | 是的 |
[27:26] | And I don¡¯t mean simply in the Mormon faith. | 我说的不只是在摩门教徒里 |
[27:28] | It happens with Orthodox Jews, | 也在正统派犹太人中 |
[27:31] | the Greeks, Muslims, Hindus. | 希腊人 穆斯林 印度人里 |
[27:33] | There are thousands of such marriages every year in this country. | 每年成百上千这样的婚姻在这个国家举行 |
[27:38] | You see nothing wrong with forcing Anna to be married? | 你认为强迫Anna结婚没有错? |
[27:41] | Or to be raped? | 或是被强暴? |
[27:42] | If she doesn¡¯t consent to consummating the marriage, Mr. Shore, | 如果她不同样婚后圆房 Shore先生 |
[27:46] | then sex shouldn¡¯t happen. | 那就不做爱好了 |
[27:48] | But, Mrs. Viorka, come on, | 可是Viorka夫人 拜托 |
[27:49] | if her fifteen-year-old husband overpowers her, | 如果她15岁的新郎用力量压倒了她 |
[27:52] | in the name of religious consummation, | 借完成宗教里的圆房之名 |
[27:54] | he¡¯s not going to be prosecuted, is he? | 那他就不会被起诉 对吗? |
[27:56] | First of all, how dare you presume Roma boys to be rapists? | 首先 你怎么敢妄说罗马男孩是强奸犯? |
[28:00] | Because consummating the marriage is part of Roma tradition. | 因为圆房是罗马传统婚礼中的一部分 |
[28:03] | Consummation is traditional in America as well. | 同样也是美国人的传统 |
[28:06] | But if the bride says, ¡°no,¡± we don¡¯t assume rape. | 只要新娘说”不” 我们不会强奸她 |
[28:08] | We assume capacity to give consent. | 即使她同意 |
[28:11] | We can¡¯t do that with a twelve-year-old. | 我们不能这样对待一个12岁女孩 |
[28:13] | You don¡¯t know our culture. | 你不懂我们的文化 |
[28:15] | I know this is an archaic practice that has no place in this child¡¯s life today. | 我知道这项古老的仪式不该存在 在今天的孩子的生活里 |
[28:20] | I know persecution, Mrs. Viorka. | 迫害我懂 Viorka夫人 |
[28:22] | I know crime. I¡ª | 犯罪我也懂 我… |
[28:23] | In this country, you take newborn babies and snip off the ends of their penises. | 在这个国家 你们为新生的婴儿割包皮 |
[28:28] | I imagine some other cultures would object to that. | 我想也有别的文化会反对吧 |
[28:31] | The United States believes in executing human beings, | 美国支持死刑 |
[28:35] | while every other westernized country finds that barbaric. | 而在其它西方国家眼里这是野蛮的行径 |
[28:38] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:40] | I¡¯m sure we could exchange cultural barbs ad nauseam. | 我觉得我们可以改变遗风旧俗 |
[28:42] | It wouldn¡¯t change the fact you¡¯re this girl¡¯s mother, | 但不会改变你是这个女孩母亲的事实 |
[28:45] | And I love her deeply. | 我深深爱着她 |
[28:48] | And perhaps you would entertain the radical idea | 或许你会以为这很可笑 |
[28:51] | that a mother might know what¡¯s best for her daughter. | 一位母亲总是知道怎么做才是为女儿着想 |
[28:54] | And perhaps you could allow for the not-so-radical reality | 或许你也该考虑一下不太激进的方式 |
[28:57] | this girl is a child. | 她还是个孩子 |
[29:00] | Whose parents deserve the right to raise her according to their culture, | 父母有权按照自己的文化来养育她 |
[29:04] | even should it have the audacity to vary from the United States of America. | 就算这和美国人的文化大相径庭 |
[29:11] | Told ya she¡¯d be tough. | 告诉过你她很厉害 |
[29:13] | Yes, you did. | 是的 你说过 |
[29:18] | Anna, should we win here, | Anna 要是我们赢了 |
[29:20] | are you going to be happy being raised by your relatives? | 你会乐意被自己的亲戚抚养吗? |
[29:24] | Maybe I¡¯ll marry you. | 或许我会嫁给你 |
[29:28] | Gotcha!! | 骗到你了吧! |
[29:34] | My relatives understand. | 我亲戚理解的 |
[29:37] | They¡¯ll look after me. | 他们会照顾我 |
[29:39] | Won¡¯t you miss your parents? | 你不会想念你父母吗? |
[29:41] | Of course I will. | 当然会 |
[29:43] | I¡¯ll probably cry forever. | 我可能会伤心个不停 |
[29:47] | But it¡¯s not right that I should be forced | 但是我不该被强迫 |
[29:49] | to marry somebody I do not love, | 嫁给一个我不爱的人 |
[29:52] | or even like. | 甚至谈不上喜欢的人 |
[29:55] | That is not right. | 这是不对的 |
[30:12] | Jury¡¯s out? | 陪审团出来了? |
[30:13] | Who knows for how long. | 谁知道会等多久 |
[30:15] | With your friend taking the Fifth¡ª | 既然你朋友用到了第五修正案 |
[30:17] | who are we kidding? | 我们在和谁开玩笑? |
[30:20] | Do you think it¡¯s possible he could have done it? | 你觉得会有可能是他做的吗? |
[30:23] | I don¡¯t know. | 我不知道 |
[30:28] | You know, we always go to the spouse first, | 你瞧 我们通常都是先怀疑配偶 |
[30:32] | because he had no alibi. | 因为他没有不在场证明 |
[30:34] | We interviewed every person in this guy¡¯s life. | 我们找他周围所有人谈过 |
[30:36] | All of them said he was devoted to his wife and family. | 所有人都说他把一切都献给了他的妻子和家庭 |
[30:40] | ¡°Hopelessly in love with her,¡± were the words most often used. | “不可救药地爱着她” 这是最被常用的一句 |
[30:45] | I don¡¯t see him stabbing her thirty-one times. | 我不认为他会捅她31刀 |
[30:50] | No. | 不 |
[30:52] | I don¡¯t think he could have done it, | 我不认为是他做的 |
[30:54] | to answer your question. | 算是作为对你的回答 |
[31:00] | We are here, representing Mr. and Mrs. Viorka, | 我们在这 代表Viorka夫妇 |
[31:04] | and representing the United States, | 和美国 |
[31:06] | a country being condemned, worldwide at the moment, | 一个正被全世界诅咒的国家 |
[31:09] | for imposing its views beyond its own borders. | 因为它蛮横地把自己的观点强加于他国 |
[31:13] | Do I favor arraigned marriages? | 我赞同包办婚姻吗? |
[31:15] | Absolutely not. | 绝对不是 |
[31:17] | When children are involved, I find it abhorrent, | 如果还牵涉到孩子 那太可恶了 |
[31:19] | as I¡¯m sure you do, Your Honor. | 我相信你也是这么想的 法官大人 |
[31:20] | But, it is simply not our right to dictate our notion of morality to foreign countries. | 但是 有一点很简单 我们不该把自己的婚姻观强加给他国 |
[31:28] | Anna Viorka is a wonderful little girl, | Anna Viorka是个可爱的小女孩 |
[31:31] | but, by her own testimony, | 但是 根据她自己的证词 |
[31:33] | she¡¯s not really afraid of getting married, | 她并不怕结婚 |
[31:35] | she just doesn¡¯t want to do it. | 她只是不想这么做而已 |
[31:36] | That simply fails to rise to the legal threshold of persecution that warrants asylum. | 实在不该把这上升到受到政治迫害 需要寻求庇护的高度 |
[31:44] | This girl has a loving family, | 这个女孩有一个爱她的家庭 |
[31:47] | eager to safeguard her future according to their culture and their tradition. | 依照他们的文化与传统 急切地想给她一个安定的未来 |
[31:51] | As much as we might reject that tradition, | 不管我们有多反对那样的传统 |
[31:55] | it is not our right to substitute our own. | 我们没有权利用自己的文化来取代它们 |
[32:01] | Your Honor, these are not particularly proud times for Americans. | 法官大人 当今已不是美国人为自己感到骄傲的时代 |
[32:05] | Around the world, we¡¯re increasingly perceived as imperialists. | 在全世界眼里 我们成了帝国主义国家 |
[32:10] | Where they get that, I haven¡¯t a clue. | 为什么他们会这么想 我不从而知 |
[32:12] | But, I think we can all agree, | 但是 我想我们同意一点 |
[32:14] | the last thing we need to do right now, | 我们现在最不该做的 |
[32:16] | is to continue to police more foreign cultures. | 就是继续对更多异国文化横加干涉 |
[32:20] | The truth is, I agree with almost everything Mr. Bennett just said. | 事实上 Bennett先生说的话我基本同意 |
[32:24] | But this is a child, | 但是别忘了她是个孩子 |
[32:27] | facing an enforced marriage she does not want. | 面对着一场她不愿意的强制婚姻 |
[32:30] | Facing enforced sex she does not want. | 面对着她不愿意发生的性行为 |
[32:33] | This isn¡¯t tantamount to rape, it is rape. | 这不是类似强奸 这就是强奸 |
[32:37] | Rape. | 强奸 |
[32:41] | It may surprise you, | 或许你会吃惊 |
[32:43] | but I happen to be a very proud American. | 但我恰巧是个很有自豪感的美国人 |
[32:46] | And where I remain most proud of our nation is in the belief | 而我对国家依然感到最骄傲的地方是 |
[32:51] | that its people remain strongly committed to human rights. | 我们的国民依然崇尚人权 |
[32:56] | At our noblest, | 最高尚的是 |
[32:58] | the United States serves to protect the weak, | 美国仍然会去保护那些弱势的人 受压迫的人 |
[33:01] | the oppressed. | |
[33:04] | A twelve-year-old child is asking you today | 一个12岁的小女孩请求您 |
[33:09] | to spare her from an unimaginable atrocity. | 请让她免受这种令人难以想象的暴行 |
[33:14] | I fully understand, we can¡¯t be policemen for the world, | 我完全明白 我们不可能做世界的警察 |
[33:17] | but how about for one, innocent, vulnerable child? | 但是就保护一下这一个无辜 脆弱的孩子 可以吗? |
[33:42] | You sure you want to be here? | 你肯定你想在这里? |
[33:44] | They know he killed her. | 他们知道他杀了她 |
[33:45] | They have to know it. | 一定得知道 |
[33:48] | Mr. Foreman, have you reached a verdict? | 首席陪审员 你们有判决结果了吗? |
[33:51] | We have, Your Honor. | 有了 法官大人 |
[33:53] | The defendant will please rise. | 被告请起立 |
[34:01] | What say you? | 请宣布吧 |
[34:04] | In the matter of Commonwealth versus Jake Spooner, | 州政府控告Jake Spooner |
[34:07] | on the charge of murder in the first degree, | 一级谋杀罪名 |
[34:10] | we find the defendant,Jake Spooner, | 我们认定被告 Jake Spooner |
[34:13] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[34:16] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[34:17] | This completes your service. | 你们的任务完成了 |
[34:18] | Mr. Spooner, you are free to go. | Spooner先生 你可以自由地离开这里了 |
[34:20] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 |
[34:28] | You okay? | 你没事吧? |
[34:30] | Mr. Gilbert¡ª? | Gilbert先生? |
[34:33] | I can still pursue him civilly, right? | 我还是可以对他进行民事起诉 对吗? |
[34:35] | Well, that affair business would come up in a civil trial, too. | 嗯…你的那段绯闻也会在民事诉讼里被提起 |
[34:40] | Mr. Gilbert, I¡ªI¡ªI don¡¯t mean to sound like a broken record here, | Gilbert先生 我…我…不是想唠叨个没完 |
[34:43] | but you really need to let it go now. | 但你真的得想开点 |
[34:46] | I mean, you have a little girl. | 你还有个女儿 |
[34:47] | You¡ªyou have your entire life ahead of you. | 你…你前面还有路要走 |
[34:50] | -Otherwise¡ª -here he is! | -否则的话… -他出来了! |
[34:51] | Mr. Spooner! Mr. Spooner! | Spooner先生! Spooner先生! |
[34:55] | I keep saying, I got nothing to say other than, uh, | 我一直都说 我没什么好说的 除了 |
[34:57] | this was justice. I¡¯m innocent. | 这就是正义 我是无辜的 |
[35:00] | I didn¡¯t stab anybody, | 我没有捅死任何人 |
[35:02] | and I¡¯m grateful the jury saw it my way. | 我很庆幸陪审团与我达成了一致 |
[35:05] | Now I¡¯m just going to try to get back on with my life¡ª | 现在我只是打算努力回归自己的生活… |
[35:08] | Shots fired!! | 有人开枪! 站在原地别动! |
[35:27] | Witnesses reported a blue pickup fleeing the scene. | 目击者称一辆蓝色的小车逃离了现场 |
[35:31] | There has been no description of any of the occupants. | 而对车主没有任何描述 |
[35:36] | Did he order it? | 是他雇的人吗? |
[35:37] | Gilbert? | 是Gilbert? |
[35:38] | I don¡¯t know. | 我不知道 |
[35:40] | Well, who else would have done it? | 那还会有谁这么做? |
[35:42] | I don¡¯t know. | 我不知道 |
[35:44] | Where is he? | 他现在在哪儿? |
[35:45] | Police got him for questioning. | 警察找他问话 |
[35:47] | Is…there a reason you¡¯re not with him? | 你没有去陪同 是有原因的吗? |
[35:51] | I¡¯m done with the man. | 我和他之间结束了 |
[36:05] | People from all over the world appear before me every day, | 现在每天都有世界各地的人到我面前 |
[36:08] | begging, | 乞求我 |
[36:10] | ¡°Please let me stay in this country.¡± | “请让我留在这个国家” |
[36:14] | Some facing unimaginable poverty, | 有些人穷困潦倒 |
[36:16] | oppression, | 受压迫 |
[36:18] | or cultural hatred. | 或是文化迫害 |
[36:20] | We typically, uniformly, | 我们通常 一律说 |
[36:23] | say no. | “不” |
[36:26] | Here, we have a young girl who, quite justifiably, | 这里有一个小女孩 有很正当的理由 |
[36:29] | doesn¡¯t want to have her hand forced in marriage at the age of twelve. | 不想在12岁的时候就受到婚姻的羁绊 |
[36:36] | Mr. and Mrs. Viorka, | Viorka夫妇 |
[36:38] | I find this Roma tradition to be repugnant, | 我认为罗马的这个传统是令人反感的 |
[36:42] | even sick. | 甚至让人恶心 |
[36:44] | But I realize that could be my own cultural bias talking. | 但是我意识到这可能是出于自己的文化偏见 |
[36:49] | And I am mindful that the legal test for persecution is not how I feel, | 我左思右想 发现对于是否承认是”迫害” 并不是依据我的感受 |
[36:54] | or even what Anna feels, | 甚至也不是Anna的感受如何 |
[36:57] | but what the reasonable person in Anna¡¯s predicament, | 而是那些在Anna的国家 身处Anna的窘境的 |
[37:00] | in Anna¡¯s country, would feel. | 有理智的人会有什么感受 |
[37:05] | The testimony and evidence seem to clearly establish | 从证词和证据看 很明显 |
[37:08] | that these forced marriages typically happen in the Roma faith, | 在罗马人的信仰里 强迫婚姻是习以为常的事 |
[37:15] | that it¡¯s a cultural norm, | 是它的文化常态 |
[37:17] | and that the reasonable Roma twelve-year-old girl | 一个有理智的12岁的罗马女孩 |
[37:20] | does not feel persecuted by them. | 不会认为这是迫害 |
[37:24] | Looking at this through their lens, | 通过站在她们的角度看问题 |
[37:28] | which I am required by law to do, | 也是法律要求我这么做的 |
[37:31] | I cannot find the level of persecution that | 我无法认定这是次迫害 |
[37:33] | would authorize me to grant asylum. | 需要给予政治庇护 |
[37:40] | Mr. and Mrs. Viorka, | Viorka夫妇 |
[37:43] | I would love nothing more than to impose my American culture | 我多么想把把自己的美国文化 |
[37:46] | and my American values upon you. | 自己的价值观灌输给你们 |
[37:49] | But I can¡¯t. | 但是我不能 |
[37:51] | All I can do is hope, | 我唯一希望的是 |
[37:54] | even pray, that you abide by your daughter¡¯s wishes. | 甚至是祈祷 你们能听一听你们女儿的心声 |
[38:03] | The plaintiff¡¯s petition is denied, | 原告请求被否决 |
[38:05] | the minor should be immediately released to her parents. | 小孩必须立即交还到她的父母手中 |
[38:23] | Can we appeal? | 我们能上诉吗? |
[38:26] | No. | 不行 |
[38:29] | What do you mean? | 什么意思? |
[38:31] | There¡¯s always appeals. | 不是一直都有上诉的吗? |
[38:33] | Not on this. | 这里没有 |
[38:40] | That¡¯s not right. | 这不对 |
[38:45] | Why can¡¯t¡ª | 为什么不行… |
[38:48] | Anna? | |
[38:50] | You need to come with us now. | 你得跟我们走了 |
[38:54] | I can¡¯t. | 我不能 |
[38:57] | I won¡¯t! | 我不要 |
[38:59] | Anna. | |
[39:01] | You need to come with us. | 你得和我们走了 |
[39:09] | I¡¯m sorry. | 对不起 |
[39:23] | Thank you very much. | 非常谢谢你 |
[39:29] | Goodbye, Mr. Shore. | 再见了 Shore先生 |
[39:31] | Goodbye. | 再见 |
[40:03] | What do I do with this wrongful death research? | 这份美妙的死亡调查我要怎么处理? |
[40:06] | Put it in the file. | 把它放进档案 |
[40:07] | We may send off an opinion letter if he ever asks. | 如果他提出 我们就把意见寄给他 |
[40:10] | And make sure we bill him. | 记得一定要收他钱 |
[40:15] | Well, well, well. | 好啊 好啊 好啊 |
[40:17] | What have we here? | 看看这是谁来了 |
[40:19] | Grieving husband? | 伤心的丈夫? |
[40:20] | Murderer? | 凶手? |
[40:21] | Devil? | 恶魔? |
[40:23] | All of the above? | 还是以上都是? |
[40:26] | The police just questioned me for five hours, and released me. | 警察问了我五个小时 然后放了我 |
[40:29] | Yes, well, I¡¯m sure there was no evidence. | 是啊 我相信没有证据留下 |
[40:31] | I¡¯m sure the job was immaculate. | 我确信干得干净利落 |
[40:34] | You stood beside me, Mr. Young. | 那时你和我站在一起 Young先生 |
[40:36] | You, of all people, know I didn¡¯t kill Mr. Spooner. | 你和所有人都知道 我没有杀Spooner先生 |
[40:40] | I don¡¯t know you didn¡¯t order the hit, | 我不知道是不是你雇的杀手 |
[40:42] | but I¡¯ll tell you this: | 但我可以告诉你这点 |
[40:43] | standing beside you, | 站在你身边 |
[40:45] | I had the opportunity to see your face when your wife¡¯s killer went down. | 我有机会看到杀死你妻子的凶手倒下时 你脸上的表情 |
[40:49] | You didn¡¯t look surprised, Mr. Gilbert. | 你一点都不吃惊 Gilbert先生 |
[40:51] | One could almost conclude you expected him to get shot. | 任何人都可以猜到 你早就料到他会中枪 |
[40:56] | Is that what you think? | 你是这么想的吗? |
[40:59] | Here¡¯s what I know: | 我只知道: |
[41:00] | you were desperate for the death penalty. | 你不顾一切要让他被判死刑 |
[41:02] | You said to me, ¡°He deserves a bullet right between the eyes.¡± | 你曾对我说”他就该在眉心中间吃颗枪子儿” |
[41:06] | Those were you exact words, Mr. Gilbert. | 这是你的原话 Gilbert先生 |
[41:08] | Quite a coincidence, don¡¯t you think? | 太巧合了 你不这么认为吗? |
[41:09] | I mean, considering where he got shot? | 我是说 看看他中枪的部位 |
[41:18] | You never had any affair. | 你根本没有什么外遇 |
[41:21] | You sent that anonymous note to the defense counsel. | 是你自己给被告律师写的匿名信 |
[41:24] | You set yourself up with the question, | 你给自己设了套 |
[41:26] | then you pled the Fifth, | 然后援引第五号修正案 |
[41:27] | knowing full well your wife¡¯s killer would be set free. | 早就料到杀害你妻子的凶手会逍遥法外 |
[41:31] | Then you had him executed, | 然后你把他给杀了 |
[41:36] | because that¡¯s what he deserved. | 因为他是罪有应得 |
[41:39] | Mr. Young, | Young先生 |
[41:41] | I¡¯m sure Mr. Spooner had many enemies who wanted him dead. | 我相信Spooner先生有很多想让他死的敌人 |
[41:46] | After all, | 毕竟 |
[41:47] | we know he killed before, right? | 我们知道他之前就杀过人 不是吗? |
[41:51] | He was only freed on a technicality, | 只是法律上他是个自由人 |
[41:53] | because you were able to suppress most of the evidence. | 因为你当时隐瞒调了大多数的证据 |
[42:00] | That¡¯s why you chose me. | 所以你才选择了我 |
[42:04] | You knew all the time I¡¯d gotten him off. | 你从一开始就知道我让他逍遥法外过 |
[42:09] | I wish you well, Mr. Young. | 保重 Young先生 |