时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | Ah. .Mr Shore. Thank you for coming. | 啊 Shore先生 很高兴你能来 |
[00:08] | Whatever it is, I didn’t do it. | 无论你要说的是什么事 我没有做过 |
[00:10] | From what I’ve been told, you probably did. | 据我所知 你或许做过 |
[00:14] | Have a seat. | 坐吧 |
[00:20] | There’s a rumor going around. | 据我所知 有传言说 |
[00:22] | Underneath that slick surface, there’s a heart of gold. | 你玩世不恭的表面下有颗金子般的心 |
[00:25] | Completely untrue. | 这绝对不是真的 |
[00:30] | I got a 19-year-old kid scheduled for a murder trial tomorrow. | 明天我有件关于一位19岁孩子的谋杀案审讯 |
[00:33] | He’s just fired his sixth attorney an hour ago | 一小时前 他刚炒掉他的第6名律师 |
[00:35] | and he’s decided to represent himself. | 他决定自己辩护 |
[00:38] | And it’s my sense he hires and fires lawyer to buy himself time, | 在我看来 他不断换律师 纯粹为了争取时间 |
[00:41] | and he’s successfully done that up till now. | 到目前为止 他得逞了 |
[00:45] | That trial will go forward tomorrow. | 审讯安排在明天 |
[00:48] | Are we getting to the part that involves me? | 要说到与我有关的部分了吗? |
[00:50] | I’m assigning you to be shadow-counsel. | 我指派你作为副席律师出场 |
[00:53] | Mmm. I’ve had very little criminal experience your honor. | 嗯… 法官阁下 我没什么刑事案的经验 |
[00:55] | Well! You’re about to get more. | 嗯 你即将会学到很多 |
[00:57] | -Ha ha. No. -9′ clock | -呵呵 不要吧 -9点正 |
[00:58] | I’d love to accommodate you, | 我很乐意答应你 |
[01:00] | but actually, I’m starting another trial tomorrow morning, so I¡ | 可是 明早我还有别的审讯 因此… |
[01:04] | -Who’s the judge? -Okubo. | -谁是法官? |
[01:05] | Ah! | 啊 |
[01:06] | Only thing you need to know about the honorable Amy Okubo is | 你只需要知道一件事 |
[01:09] | that I’ve got seniority on her. | 我的资历比可敬的Amy Okubo深 |
[01:10] | You’ll be in my courtroom at nine. | 9点你要出现在我的法庭 |
[01:12] | She’s ordered no further continuances. | 她说了不得再延迟审讯 |
[01:14] | Nine. O’clock. Mr Shore. | 9点正 Shore先生 |
[01:18] | Alright your honor. | 好吧 法官阁下 |
[01:18] | Let’s cut to it. | 直话直说吧 |
[01:19] | I couldn’t¡ possibly¡ try a case in your courtroom. | 我不能…几乎不能…接你的法庭的案件 |
[01:24] | Because? | 因为? |
[01:25] | I’m attracted to you. | 我被你所吸引 |
[01:28] | In fact I’m¡ | 事实上 我… |
[01:30] | obsessed with you. | 被你迷住了 |
[01:32] | I’m afraid my lust would¡ | 恐怕我的欲望会 |
[01:35] | inhibit my ability to¡ | 影响我… |
[01:36] | fairly represent my client. | 公平地代表我委托人出庭的能力 |
[01:41] | You’re attracted to me? | 你被我吸引? |
[01:43] | Yes. | 是的 |
[01:48] | Could you lean forward a bit? | 你可以靠前一点吗? |
[01:59] | You are a very sexy man. | 你是个很性感的男人 |
[02:03] | And a clever one, | 也很聪明 |
[02:05] | capable of feigning an attraction for a judge just to get yourself off a case. | 能够为了逃避案子而假装为法官着迷 |
[02:12] | Nine. O’clock. | 9点正 |
[02:16] | I will be getting myself off. | 我会逃避这个案子的 (双关语 我会达到高潮的) |
[02:18] | I assure you. | 我保证 |
[02:21] | Nine. O’clock. | 9点正 |
[03:08] | Shadow counsel? | 副席律师? |
[03:09] | The problem is, I’m already scheduled for trial | 问题是 在OKuBo法官之前 我已经安排别的审讯了 |
[03:11] | before Judge Okubo who will be anything but pleased. | 她一定会因此很不爽 |
[03:13] | What¡ What do you want me to do? | 那…那你想我做什么呢? |
[03:15] | Try to get a continuance, which won’t be easy. | 尝试延迟审讯 那不是件容易的事 |
[03:17] | And then there’s the client himself. Mr Tang Jing Yu. | 委托人叫做Tang Jing Yu |
[03:20] | Tang Jing who? | Tang Jing什么? |
[03:22] | Tara knows the case. | Tara 了解这案子 |
[03:23] | She’ll go with you. | 她会跟你一起去 |
[03:24] | Just try and get it pushed to next week. | 试着把审讯推迟到下星期 |
[03:25] | I’ll really appreciate it. | 感激不尽 |
[03:27] | What¡Tang who? | 什么…Tang什么? |
[03:38] | Hello Marshall. I’m Alan Shore. | 你好Marshall 我是Alan Shore |
[03:41] | I’m representin’ myself.That’s what I told her. | 我自己辩护 我已经跟她说过 |
[03:43] | I understand. | 我知道 |
[03:44] | But she asked me to be shadow-counsel. | 但她让我做副席律师 |
[03:46] | Which basically means, I see to it that | 意味着 我只负责 |
[03:48] | you screw yourself over a little less, rather than more. | 让你不把情况越弄越糟 |
[03:52] | So what’s wrong with all these attorneys you’ve been firing? | 你炒掉的那些律师有什么问题? |
[03:54] | They keep askin’ me to plead out. | 他们一直叫我主动认罪 |
[03:56] | Which I don’t wanna do. | 我根本不想这么做 |
[03:58] | Fair enough. | 这么说挺公平的 |
[04:00] | You’re alleged to have shot and killed somebody. | 你涉嫌开枪并杀死某人 |
[04:03] | Did you? | 你有这么做吗? |
[04:04] | Yes. | 有 |
[04:05] | In front of an eye witness? | 就在目击证人面前? |
[04:07] | Yes. | 是的 |
[04:09] | This would explain why the lawyers were suggesting a plea. | 可以理解为什么那些律师建议你主动认罪 |
[04:13] | Look Mr. Ah¡ | 听着 什么先生 |
[04:14] | Shore. But you can call me Michael. | Shore 你可以叫我Michael |
[04:16] | You said your name was Alan. | 你刚说你叫Alan |
[04:17] | Excellent. You pay attention. | 很好 你有注意听 |
[04:19] | This will help. | 这有帮助 |
[04:22] | Listen closely Marshall. | Marshall 仔细听着 |
[04:24] | After just a cursory view of the facts, | 我大概了解一下事情后 |
[04:27] | my guess is you’ll be found guilty. | 我推测你会被判有罪 |
[04:29] | If you insist on representing yourself, it’s over. | 如果你坚持自行辩护 事情就这么结束 |
[04:33] | Then I have to fire your ass to. | 那我就连你也炒掉 |
[04:37] | It may shock you to learn, I make for a better lawyer | 或许你会很吃惊地认识到 我作为律师 |
[04:39] | than your average nineteen-year-old crack-head. | 要比一个9岁的小毛孩要好 |
[04:42] | I could be wrong. | 我可能是错的 |
[04:44] | If you’d wanna plead fine, don’t. | 如果你不想认罪 很好 那就不要认 |
[04:47] | But you’re gonna go to trial, use a trained professional. | 可是你要出庭 请让专业人士来做 |
[04:51] | Don’t be a complete idiot. It’s beneath you. | 不要做个大傻瓜 你还不至于那样 |
[04:57] | What happened Shore? | Shore怎么了? |
[04:58] | Mr Shore got called in on an emergency matter. | Shore先生有急事被召走了 |
[05:00] | We’re gonna try and push your case until next week. | 我们要尝试把你的案子推迟到下星期 |
[05:02] | I don’t anticipate that to be a problem, but then¡ | 我想这不成问题 然后… |
[05:04] | Knew Shore not care. | 就知道Shore不关心 |
[05:06] | That’s not true Mr Tang. | Tang先生 不是这样的 |
[05:08] | Mr Shore cares very much. | Shore先生很关心这案子 |
[05:09] | No one care. People think big joke. | 没人关心 人人都觉得大笑话 |
[05:12] | Mr Tang. | Tang先生 |
[05:13] | I know, that you know, that I care. | 我知道 你知道 我关心这案子 |
[05:15] | Shore think joke. | Shore认为笑话 |
[05:18] | Look at me. | 看着我 |
[05:21] | We will get the continuance. | 我们会取得延迟审讯 |
[05:23] | And everything will be fine. | 一切都会好起来的 |
[05:31] | Are you kidding me? | 你在开我玩笑吗? |
[05:32] | This case is marked, No further continuances’! | 案子标明”不得延迟审讯” |
[05:35] | Your honor. | 法官阁下 |
[05:36] | We are ready. | 我们准备好了 |
[05:37] | But Mr Shore was suddenly called in on a homicide case. | 可是Shore先生突然被召去代理一件凶杀案 |
[05:39] | I do not care where Mr Shore is! | 我不关心Shore在哪! |
[05:40] | I am angry about where Mr Shore isn’t! | 我很生气他不在这儿! |
[05:42] | This matter has been on my docket for five years. | 这案子已经在我的诉讼表里5年了 |
[05:45] | I understand that. But¡ | 我知道 可是… |
[05:47] | Alan Shore is the fourth attorney of record. | Alan Shore是我记录上第四位律师 |
[05:50] | Following Robert Donald, | 继Robert Donald |
[05:51] | Lindsey Dole and Rebecca Washington. | Lindsey Dole 和 Rebecca Washington之后 |
[05:54] | You now make number five. | 现在你是第五位 |
[05:56] | I don’t enjoy lawyers playing turfball in my court. | 我不喜欢律师在我法庭上打躲避球 |
[05:59] | That’s not going on. | 不会有下次了 |
[06:00] | I assure you. | 我向你保证 |
[06:01] | Judge Robbins ordered him to shadow-counsel on another¡ | Robbins法官指派他任另一件案的副席律师… |
[06:04] | Judge Robbins does not control my courtroom. | Robbins法官不能操控我的法庭 |
[06:06] | Your honor. We’re just stuck in the middle here. | 法官阁下 我们是进退两难啊 |
[06:09] | This is a two or three day trial max. | 这顶多是2到3天的审讯 |
[06:11] | And it’s a stupid case to begin with. | 这案子的起端就很白痴 |
[06:14] | Not stupid! Object! | 不白痴 反对 |
[06:16] | Mr Tang! | Tang先生! |
[06:17] | The court respects your right to have your day in court. | 法庭尊重你的权利让你上庭 |
[06:21] | So I’m giving it to you right now. | 所以我现在赋予你权利 |
[06:24] | Your honor. | 法官阁下 |
[06:24] | You either say, Ready for trial. | 你要么回答”准备审讯” |
[06:26] | Or we dismiss this complaint. | 要么我们解除诉讼 |
[06:28] | Your choice. | 你做选择吧 |
[06:31] | Ready for trial. | 准备审讯 |
[06:38] | What happen now? | 现在怎样? |
[06:39] | There is no reason to panic. | 没必要慌张 |
[06:41] | Case not know. | 案子不知道 |
[06:42] | I’m sorry? | 抱歉 什么? |
[06:43] | You. Case not know. Up creek. | 你 案子不知道 困境 |
[06:45] | Mr Tang¡ | Tang先生 |
[06:46] | Case not know. Mal puppet! | 案子不知道 玩物丧志! |
[06:48] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[06:49] | I think that he means malpractice. | 我想他是说玩忽职守 |
[06:52] | His English isn’t very good. | 他的英文不是很好 |
[06:54] | Wait five years! | 等5年! |
[06:56] | Mr. Tang. | Tang先生 |
[06:57] | I will be there every step. | 我会密切跟进 |
[06:59] | I promise. | 我保证 |
[07:02] | Excuse me one second, sir. | 失陪一会 先生 |
[07:06] | Tara? Do you think you could possibly try this? | Tara? 你觉得你能试试看吗? |
[07:11] | Me? | 我? |
[07:12] | But I’m not even a member… | 可我甚至还不是… |
[07:13] | Third year law students, with supervision, can try¡ | 法律系三年级学生 在监护下 可以尝试… |
[07:16] | That’s criminal. Not civil. | 这是刑事案 不是民事案啊 |
[07:18] | I will be doing it with you. | 我会和你一起做 |
[07:19] | And the judge will sign off. | 法官会同意 |
[07:21] | Tara, he’s right! | Tara 他说的对 |
[07:23] | With me, it’s¡ up creek. | 和我一起吧 现在已经陷入困境了 |
[07:26] | You know the medicals, you’ve researched the law. | 你熟悉医务 你研究过相关法律 |
[07:28] | You seem to have a good connection with the client. | 你看起来和委托人有着很好的沟通 |
[07:30] | But I have never tried a case before. | 可是我从来都没有打过官司 |
[07:34] | Ever! | 从来没有! |
[07:35] | Everybody has a first time. | 每人都有第一次 |
[07:38] | Look. You are up to speed here. | 听着 你熟悉情况 |
[07:39] | I am not. | 我不熟 |
[07:40] | Just get us through the day and then maybe Alan can take over. | 让我们度过今天 然后Alan就可能来接手了 |
[07:48] | The evidence will show that once the drug deal went bad | 证供表明 当毒品交易不顺利的时候 |
[07:51] | the defendant drew a weapon. | 被告就拿出武器 |
[07:53] | 38 caliber revolver and fired three shots into the victim, killing him. | 38口径左轮手枪 然后对被害人连开3枪 致其死亡 |
[07:59] | You’ll hear from an eyewitness who saw | 你将听到一位目击证人 |
[08:00] | Marshall Bagnell commit this crime. | 指证Marshall Bagnell |
[08:03] | You will hear from an expert in ballistics | 你也将听到一位弹道学专家告诉你 |
[08:05] | who will tell you that the bullets retrieved from the victim’s body | 从被害人身体取出的子弹 |
[08:09] | match the gun found later in the defendant’s possession. | 完全吻合从被告身上找到的枪支 |
[08:12] | And after all these evidence is presented, | 通过这所有的证据 |
[08:15] | it will be established beyond all reasonable doubt, | 将会排除所有合理怀疑 |
[08:19] | that Marshall Bagnell committed murder. | 证明Marshall Bagnell 犯下谋杀罪 |
[08:32] | Good morning ladies and gentleman. | 女士们先生们 早上好 |
[08:35] | Your honor. | 法官阁下 |
[08:36] | Mr Shore. | Shore先生 |
[08:38] | I was drafted for this trial | 我被抽调来负责这个案子 |
[08:41] | much like all of you were summoned for jury duty. | 就像在座的各位被征召一样 |
[08:44] | And my reaction was, | 而我的反应是 |
[08:45] | Dammit. | “该死的” |
[08:47] | I have better things to do | 比起坐在法庭一整天 |
[08:48] | than sit around the courtroom all day. | 我还有更有意义的事要做 |
[08:50] | Show hands.how many of you felt burdened by¡ | 你们当中有谁觉得这很麻烦 请举手 |
[08:52] | Objection. | 反对 |
[08:53] | Counsel! | 辩护律师! |
[08:54] | But then I found out it’s a murder trial, | 然后 我发现这是一个谋杀审讯 |
[08:58] | and part of me went, Oh boy! inside. | 我心里想 “噢 天!” |
[09:01] | because murder trials, they can be juicy. | 因为谋杀审讯 一定会很刺激 |
[09:04] | How many of you went, Oh boy!? | 你们有谁心里想过”噢 天!”呢? |
[09:05] | Objection. | 反对 |
[09:06] | Mr Shore! | Shore先生 |
[09:07] | And the great thing about this particular murder trial? | 这次谋杀审讯最好的一点是 |
[09:11] | There’s no real tragedy. | 没有真正的”悲剧”发生 |
[09:13] | The victim was a drug dealer; my client is a drug dealer. | 被害人是一名毒贩 我的委托人也是一名毒贩 |
[09:16] | One is dead, another we can send to prison for life. | 一个死了 另一个我们可以永远把他关在监狱 |
[09:19] | It’s a win-win. | 双赢局面 |
[09:21] | So let’s sit back, | 所以呢 让我们好好坐下 |
[09:22] | relax, | 放松 |
[09:23] | enjoy ourselves, shall we? | 享受自我 对吗? |
[09:25] | One low-life down, one to go. | 一个低级的人死掉 另一个坐牢 |
[09:29] | And that concludes my opening statement. | 这就是我的开庭陈述 |
[09:41] | How am I doin’ so far? | 目前为止 我表现如何? |
[09:50] | Mr. Shore. | Shore先生 |
[09:52] | Yes? | 嗯? |
[09:52] | I’m Tarama Bagnell. Marshall’s mother? | 我是Tarama Bagnell Marshall的母亲 |
[09:54] | Ah! Very nice to meet you. | 啊!很高兴认识你 |
[10:04] | Was that sexual? | 这算性骚扰吗? |
[10:06] | My son is on trial for his life. | 这审讯关系到我孩子的一生 |
[10:07] | In your opening statement¡ | 可是你的开庭陈述… |
[10:09] | Ms Bagnell I assure you I have a plan here. | Bagnell夫人 我向你保证我是有计划的 |
[10:12] | Which is? | 何以见得? |
[10:14] | Okay I lied. | 好吧 我说谎 |
[10:15] | I don’t have a plan. | 我没有计划 |
[10:16] | But I’m forming one. | 可是我正在拟定 |
[10:20] | No one slaps me twice Ms Bagnell. | Bagnell夫人 没有人可以掴我两次 |
[10:24] | Least not in the face. | 至少不能在脸上 |
[10:28] | I will make the evidencary objections. | 我来提出证据异议 |
[10:31] | All you need to do is ask him what happened. | 你只需要问他发生了什么事 |
[10:33] | Don’t lead. | 不要引导作供 |
[10:35] | Just basically say, What happened next. | 就简单说 “接着发生什么” |
[10:37] | -And let him tell his story. -Okay. | -让他告诉你事情始末 -好的 |
[10:38] | Don’t move around a lot Tara. Just plant your feet, stay still. | Tara 不要走来走去 站定就好 |
[10:42] | Why? | 为什么? |
[10:43] | Because we want the jurors eyes to be on him as he testifies. | 因为我们要让陪审员注视着他作供 |
[10:46] | His story is basically our whole case. | 他的叙述基本上就是我们整个案子 |
[10:49] | You’re moving around could be distracting. | 你的多余举动会转移陪审员视线 |
[10:51] | Now, if he starts to get too hot, | 如果他开始变得激动 |
[10:53] | which is a very likely possibility, | 这是很有可能发生的事情 |
[10:55] | you may have to calm him down a little bit. | 你就要叫他冷静一些 |
[11:00] | Have bad feeling. | 不好的预感 |
[11:02] | Mr Tang. You just need to relax. | Tang先生 你只需要放松 |
[11:04] | Tara will basically ask you what happened. | Tara会问你事情经过 |
[11:07] | Just tell the jury in your own words. | 尽管用你自己的话告诉陪审团 |
[11:11] | And a few r’s might help. | 说多些”呃”可能会有帮助 |
[11:12] | -What! -Nothing. | -什么! -没什么 |
[11:14] | Make fun I talk! | 笑我说话 |
[11:16] | You do have an accent, Mr Tang, | Tang先生 你确实是有口音 |
[11:18] | so please try and speak slowly. | 所以请你试着说慢一些 |
[11:22] | If you need to ask a question twice, don’t be afraid to. | 如果你要问同一个问题两次 不要害怕(尽管问) |
[11:26] | You can do this. | 你可以的 |
[11:29] | I’m ready. | 我准备好了 |
[11:34] | They got into an argument over the price. | 他们在为价格争吵 |
[11:36] | Price of the cocaine? | 可卡因的价格? |
[11:37] | Yes. I mean I really wasn’t paying attention. | 是的 我是说 当时没有很认真听 |
[11:40] | I was watching television, | 我正在看电视 |
[11:41] | and the next thing I know he’s got a gun. | 我意识到的下一件事 就是他有枪 |
[11:45] | The defendant? | 被告吗? |
[11:46] | Yes. | 是的 |
[11:47] | He pulls out this gun and he’s screaming and I think, | 他拔出枪然后大声喊 |
[11:51] | Okay, now it’s a robbery. You know? | “好 现在成抢劫了” |
[11:53] | That he’s just gonna steal the stuff outright. | 他要把东西都抢走了 |
[11:56] | What did you do here? | 你当时怎么做? |
[11:57] | I’m basically just started screaming you know, that, he’s got a gun. | 我就只能尖叫啊 他有枪啊 |
[12:01] | And that’s when Brian went for his gun. | 就在那时Brian想去拿他的枪 |
[12:04] | And that’s when it happened. | 接下来事情就发生了 |
[12:05] | He shot him three times. | 他朝他开了3枪 |
[12:08] | He just killed Brian right there. | 他在那杀了Brian |
[12:10] | Now Andrea, this is important. | Andrea听着 这很重要 |
[12:13] | When did Brian get his gun in relation to when¡ | Brian什么时候去拿他的枪 |
[12:16] | I just said that Brian got his gun, | 我刚刚说Brian是在 |
[12:18] | after that man pulled the gun out on him. | 那人拔出枪指着他之后才拿枪 |
[12:20] | And before Brian could even get his gun, | 在Brian还没拿到枪的之前 |
[12:22] | he just started shooting. | 他就开枪了 |
[12:23] | It’s a miracle he didn’t kill me to. | 他没有连我也杀了也算奇迹了 |
[12:26] | Then he just took the stuff and left. | 接着他带着东西就离开了 |
[12:30] | Thank you Andrea. | 谢谢Andrea |
[12:43] | Drugs are a horrible thing Andrea, wouldn’t you agree? | Andrea 毒品是很可怕的东西 你同意吗? |
[12:46] | Yes. | 同意 |
[12:48] | Do you ever use them? | 你有吸过毒吗? |
[12:50] | I wasn’t using that night, if that’s what you’re going for. | 那晚上我没有吸毒 如果这是你想问的话 |
[12:53] | My capacity for observation was perfect. | 我的观察能力绝对没问题 |
[12:56] | That’s a legal term. | 这是法律用语 |
[12:57] | Are you a lawyer Andrea? | Andrea 你是律师吗? |
[12:58] | No. | 不是 |
[13:01] | Have you by any chance spoken to a lawyer before testifying? | 在你作供之前 你有跟律师交谈过? |
[13:03] | Say¡ a District Attorney? | 例如…检察官? |
[13:05] | Objection. | 反对 |
[13:06] | I’m merely trying to establish that you put words in her mouth. | 我只是在证实你在教唆她作供 |
[13:08] | Objection! | 反对! |
[13:09] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[13:09] | Andrea, there were drugs on the premises that night, | Andrea 那晚那里有毒品 |
[13:11] | -weren’t there? -Obviously. | -是吗? -是的 |
[13:13] | And since you were there on the premises. | 由于你也在那 |
[13:15] | What were you watching by the way? | 顺便问句 你在看着什么节目? |
[13:16] | Joe Millionaire. | 百万富翁Joe |
[13:17] | Ahh. Figures. | 啊 猜到了 |
[13:20] | And since you were present with these drugs, | 因你拥有这些毒品 |
[13:22] | you were exposed to criminal charges as well. | 你也面临着刑事指控 |
[13:25] | Weren’t you? | 对吗? |
[13:27] | Might have been nice to have something to offer the police, I bet. | 我敢打赌 你已经和警方达成协议 |
[13:30] | Something like, say¡ | 以提供警方 例如… |
[13:32] | testimony! | 证词! |
[13:33] | I’m telling it like it happened. | 我是实话实说 |
[13:36] | What was your relationship with Brian drug dealer? | 你和毒贩Brian是什么关系? |
[13:39] | He was my boyfriend. | 他是我男朋友 |
[13:40] | Your boyfriend? | 你男朋友? |
[13:41] | Brian the drug dealer was your boyfriend? | 毒贩Brian是你的男朋友? |
[13:42] | Yes. | 是的 |
[13:43] | Well?! | 好?! |
[13:44] | You didn’t establish that! | 你当时没有说明! |
[13:46] | That might make you biased. | 这或许让你先入为主 |
[13:47] | I’m telling the truth. | 我在说实话 |
[13:49] | You said you that you weren’t using that night. | 你说你那晚没有吸毒 |
[13:51] | You do use though? Don’t you, Andrea? | 可是你确实有吸过毒? 对吗Andrea? |
[13:53] | Recreationally. | 玩玩而已 |
[13:55] | Occasionally. | 偶尔而已 |
[13:55] | Ever get arrested? | 有被逮捕过吗? |
[13:58] | Once. | 一次 |
[13:58] | For using or dealing? | 吸毒还是贩毒? |
[14:00] | Dealing. | 贩毒 |
[14:00] | Oh! So you’re a drug dealer too? | 哦!那你也是一名毒贩咯? |
[14:04] | Tell me, with Brian dead, did you pick up his business? | 告诉我 Brian死后 你接手他的生意吗? |
[14:06] | Objection! | 反对! |
[14:07] | I’m sorry your honor, my client wants to know. | 法官阁下 很抱歉 我的委托人想知道答案 |
[14:10] | He needs a new connection. | 他需要新的门路 |
[14:11] | Mr Shore. | Shore先生 |
[14:12] | Will you step up here please? | 请你上前来 |
[14:21] | Is this the way you defend your client? | 这是你为委托人辩护的方式? |
[14:23] | It is, your Honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[14:30] | Pull over. Get gas. Need pee. | 开到路边 加油 要小便 |
[14:33] | You needed to pee? | 你要小便? |
[14:35] | Yes. Long drive. Need pee. | 是的 开长途 要小便 |
[14:38] | Okay sir. Can you tell us what happened next? | 好的 先生 可以告诉我们接着发生了什么事吗? |
[14:40] | Bathroom painted. | 厕所 有字 |
[14:43] | Man say be careful. | 有人说要小心 |
[14:44] | Flesh(Fresh) paint on wall. Advise not go in. | 墙上新漆 建议不要进去 |
[14:48] | But you did? | 可是你进去了? |
[14:49] | Objection. Leading. | 反对 引导证人作供 |
[14:51] | Can you tell us what happened next? Sir. | 先生 接着又发生什么事呢? |
[14:54] | Need pee bad. Go in anyway. | 很急啊 一定要去 |
[14:57] | And then what happened? | 然后发生了什么? |
[14:58] | Sit on toilet. | 坐在马桶上 |
[15:01] | Do business. | 方便 |
[15:02] | Then decide have cigarette. | 然后决定抽根烟 |
[15:06] | Long drive. Need relax. | 开长途 要放松 |
[15:15] | Go lift off! Explode! | 飞起!爆炸! |
[15:17] | And wha what happened, to you sir? | 那你…你当时怎样? |
[15:20] | Knocked unconscious. Bottom botox. | 不省人事 屁股起泡 |
[15:23] | Bottom burn red, raw, low skin bottom. | 下面烧红了 刺痛 下面的皮肤 |
[15:27] | Burn red raw. | 烧得又红又痛 |
[15:31] | Were you taken to hospital? | 接着你被送往医院吗? |
[15:32] | Yes! Hospital. Bottom burn red raw! | 嗯!医院!下面烧得又红又痛! |
[15:36] | You must have been¡ | 你一定是… |
[15:37] | You must have been terrified? Sir. | 你一定是被吓坏了? 先生 |
[15:40] | Not funny! | 不好笑! |
[15:41] | Blow off toilet bowl. | 马桶都飞起 |
[15:44] | Not funny! | 不好笑! |
[15:56] | I am so, so sorry. | 我非常 非常抱歉 |
[16:00] | I think I was just so anxious to begin with. That, plus his accent, | 我想我是太紧张了 再加上他的口音 |
[16:03] | and the nature of the accident. I just¡ | 还有事故的原因 我就… |
[16:05] | The jury now thinks its big joke, Tara. | 现在陪审员都觉得这是个大笑话 Tara |
[16:08] | This man had third degree burns; | 这个人有3级烧伤 |
[16:10] | he has waited five years to get into court. | 他等了5年才上到法庭 |
[16:13] | And his own lawyer has likely caused the jury to completely trivialize this matter. | 而他的律师很可能 让陪审员不屑这件事 |
[16:17] | Eleanor! You know that I never intended¡ | Eleanor!你知道我从没有打算要… |
[16:26] | Mr Tang. I am so, so sorry. | Tang先生 我非常非常抱歉 |
[16:33] | I deeply apologize. | 我郑重道歉 |
[16:42] | You’re trying to get me convicted. | 你在让我入罪 |
[16:43] | I promised you I’m not. | 我保证我没有 |
[16:44] | You said I need a new connection?! | 你说我需要新的门路 |
[16:45] | What’s up with that?! | 这是什么回事?! |
[16:47] | Calm down Marshall. | Marshall冷静 |
[16:48] | I was merely trying to demonstrate to the jury that I don’t like you. | 我只是想证明给陪审团看 我不喜欢你 |
[16:52] | You see, they don’t like you. | 你明白 他们都不喜欢你 |
[16:53] | You shot somebody three times, | 你朝人开了3枪 |
[16:55] | they naturally consider you despicable. | 他们很自然就认为你很可恶 |
[16:57] | So by showing them, | 所以表现给他们看 |
[16:58] | I find you despicable, | 我觉得你可恶 |
[16:59] | it makes me more relatable to them. | 拉近我与他们之间的距离 |
[17:01] | It gives me some credibility. | 我变得可信 |
[17:03] | So when I say at the end of all this, | 所以当我结论时说 |
[17:05] | Find him Not Guilty’. | “判他无罪” |
[17:06] | I might have a chance of convincing them. | 我才有机会说服他们 |
[17:15] | I’m a human being Mr. Shore. | Shore先生 我是个普通人 |
[17:18] | No you’re not. | 不 你不是 |
[17:19] | You’re a drug addict. | 你是个瘾君子 |
[17:26] | You’ll testify next. | 待会到你作供 |
[17:26] | Then, I’ll call character witnesses. | 接着 我会召品格证人 |
[17:31] | You just need to do as I tell you Marshall. | Marshall 你只需要照我说的做 |
[17:34] | Nothing more. | 仅此而已 |
[17:38] | And tell your mother to stop hitting me. | 还有告诉你母亲不要再打我 |
[17:47] | She was right about arguing over the price. | 她说的对 我们在为价格争吵 |
[17:49] | He wanted way too much. | 他开价太高 |
[17:51] | One-an-a-half the street value. | 是市价的1.5倍 |
[17:52] | So you shot him? | 因此你开枪射他? |
[17:55] | We got into a yelling match. We both got a little hot. | 我们越吵越凶 双方都有些激动 |
[17:58] | So you shot him? | 因此你开枪射他? |
[17:59] | I didn’t just shoot him. | 我没有直接开枪射他 |
[18:01] | Well. Tell us what happened, sir. | 好的 先生 告诉我发生了什么事 |
[18:02] | But, if you don’t mind, | 如果你不介意 |
[18:04] | just fast forward to the good part. | 可以直接讲重点 |
[18:07] | Well, I just said, That’s it. | 我只是说”就这样” |
[18:07] | I wanted to call the whole deal off. | 我想中止这次交易 |
[18:10] | That’s when he pulled off his jacket to show he’s packing. | 然后他打开夹克秀出他有装备 |
[18:14] | Packing? | 装备? |
[18:15] | For those of us who don’t own a firearm. | 对于没有枪支的我们来说 |
[18:17] | Packing, means he had a gun. | 装备 意味着他有枪 |
[18:19] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[18:20] | And at some point, did you show him that you were packing? | 在这点上说 你是否向他展示你的装备? |
[18:25] | Yes. | 有 |
[18:26] | I pulled out my gun to show him that, | 我拔出枪给他看 |
[18:27] | you know, I wasn’t intimidated. | 你知道 我没被吓到 |
[18:29] | And I saw his eyes flash, | 然后我就看见他眼神一红 |
[18:31] | and he pulled his gun, | 他拔出枪 |
[18:32] | and it wasn’t just to show me he had it. | 这动作不仅仅是展示他有枪 |
[18:33] | Now he drew. | 他真的拔出枪 |
[18:35] | So I pointed my gun at him and yelled, Don’t.. | 所以我用枪指着他喊”不要” |
[18:38] | But his gun is in his hand about to point it at me! | 可是他手里的枪就要指向我! |
[18:40] | About to shoot me. | 要开枪射我 |
[18:42] | So I figured, either I shoot or I’m dead. | 所以我想 我要么开枪 要么就死在这 |
[18:47] | So I shot him. | 于是 我朝他开枪了 |
[18:49] | I fired three times real quick and he went down. | 我很快地开了3枪 他倒下了 |
[18:52] | He drew his gun? | 他拔出他的枪? |
[18:54] | Yes! | 是的! |
[18:55] | If I hadn’t fired, I’d be dead. | 如果我没开枪 我就死了 |
[18:57] | Did you know that Brian the drug dealer | 你知道毒贩Brian |
[18:59] | was suspected of murdering somebody before? | 曾经涉嫌谋杀吗? |
[19:02] | Objection | 反对 |
[19:02] | the victim had never been charged in any homicide before and Counsel is well¡ | 被害人从未被控告谋杀罪 辩护律师他… |
[19:06] | Rephrase. | 重新措辞 |
[19:06] | Did you know that Brian the drug dealer had never actually been charged | 你知道毒贩Brian从未真正被控告 |
[19:10] | with shooting a woman twice in the head blowing it¡ | 开枪射一名女性头部两枪… |
[19:12] | Objection! | 反对! |
[19:13] | The victim was briefly investigated in drug related killing and that is all. | 被害人只是协助调查关于毒品致死案子 仅此而已 |
[19:17] | He never became the actual suspect, | 他从未成为真的嫌犯 |
[19:19] | and I object to this blatant distortion of the facts. | 我反对这种明显歪曲事实真相的行为 |
[19:23] | Can’t we all just get along? | 我们可以相处融洽些吗? |
[19:25] | Mr Shore. | Shore先生 |
[19:29] | What if anything did you know about Brian the drug dealer. | 想知道你了解多少关于毒贩Brian的事情 |
[19:31] | I have to ask it like that, | 我必须这样提问 |
[19:33] | but please get in what I want you to get in. | 可是 请只回答我想你回答的 |
[19:35] | Objection! | 反对! |
[19:36] | Mr Shore?! | Shore先生?! |
[19:37] | There was a rumor that he had capped a girl doin’ a drug buy. | 有传言他曾经向一名购买毒品的女孩开枪 |
[19:40] | -I know that. -Thank you | -我知道 -谢谢 |
[19:42] | That wasn’t so hard? Was it? | 那并不难?是吧? |
[19:47] | How many times have you been arrested Mr Bagnell? | 你被逮捕过几次?Bagnell先生 |
[19:50] | Five or six. | 5或6次 |
[19:51] | Actually it’s seven. | 其实是7次 |
[19:53] | You brought a concealed weapon to this drug transaction? | 在这次毒品交易中 你身上藏着武器? |
[19:56] | Yes. Because sometimes stuff goes down, like it has now. | 是的 因为有时事情会变得槽糕 像这次这样 |
[20:00] | I need to protect myself. | 我要保护自己 |
[20:01] | Oh. You need to protect yourself. | 哦 你要保护自己 |
[20:03] | Objection. | 反对 |
[20:04] | There’s no call for sarcasm, your honor. | 这不允许讥讽 法官阁下 |
[20:06] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[20:08] | You didn’t report this shooting? | 你没有报警这次开火? |
[20:09] | Did you sir? | 先生 你有报警吗? |
[20:10] | You fled the scene. | 你逃离了现场 |
[20:11] | I figured his girlfriend would report it. | 我想他的女朋友会报警 |
[20:13] | But if you were innocent. | 可如果你是无辜的 |
[20:15] | If it truly were self-defense, | 如果这是真的自卫 |
[20:18] | why run away? | 为什么要逃跑? |
[20:19] | It was a drug deal. | 这是毒品交易 |
[20:20] | Yes. A drug deal where there was a dispute over price. | 是的 一次为价格争吵的毒品交易 |
[20:24] | Now you had argued with the victim before over price, hadn’t you sir? | 在争吵价格之前 你已经和被害人争吵过了 是吗? |
[20:27] | He was gouger! | 他是个骗子! |
[20:28] | But this time you’d had enough. | 这次你受够了 |
[20:30] | You went carrying a gun, | 你携枪前去 |
[20:32] | -you shot him three times. -In self-defense. | -你朝他开了3枪 -那是自卫 |
[20:34] | Objection. | 反对 |
[20:35] | Did he ever fire at you? | 他有开枪射过你吗? |
[20:36] | No! But what I am I supposed¡ | 没有!但我要怎么做… |
[20:38] | And you didn’t wait. Did you sir? | 你没有等 是吗? |
[20:39] | I would have been dead! | 我可能已经死了! |
[20:40] | So many questions. | 很多疑问 |
[20:41] | May I ask a question? | 我可以问个问题吗? |
[20:43] | I forgot one. | 我刚忘了一个问题 |
[20:45] | You were advised, were you not, sir, | 你被警告过 先生 是吗 |
[20:47] | not to go into the bathroom? | 不要进去那卫生间 |
[20:49] | Not advised on explode. | 没有爆炸警告 |
[20:51] | Advised on paint! | 只有刷漆警告! |
[20:52] | You can read English Mr Tang? | Tang先生 你可以读懂英文吗? |
[20:54] | Yes. | 可以 |
[20:55] | Did you see the signs that said, No Smoking’? | 你看到那标记上写有”不准吸烟”吗? |
[20:57] | No. | 没有看到 |
[20:57] | You didn’t see any of the posted signs. | 你没有看到任何张贴标记? |
[20:59] | No! | 没有! |
[21:00] | Is that a truthful response, sir? | 先生 这是诚实的回答吗? |
[21:02] | Yes. True. | 是的 诚实的 |
[21:03] | Why not object badger? | 为什么不反对逼供? |
[21:04] | I’m not trying to badger you sir. | 我不是在逼你讲实话 |
[21:06] | Did it not occur to you, | 你知不知道 |
[21:07] | smoking a cigarette, lighting a match, | 在加油站里吸烟 点燃火柴 |
[21:10] | at a gas station, that this could be dangerous? | 是非常危险的? |
[21:13] | People smoke in bathroom all time. | 人们经常在卫生间吸烟 |
[21:15] | They do? | 有吗? |
[21:16] | Yes! Place to relax. | 嗯!放松的地方 |
[21:19] | Go pee. Lose pants. Smoke. | 小便 脱裤 吸烟 |
[21:23] | But you knew, sir, that this bathroom had just been painted, | 可是你知道 这个卫生间刚刷过漆 |
[21:25] | that there could be fumes inside. | 里面可能有易燃气体 |
[21:27] | Not expect boom like that! | 没想过会这样爆炸! |
[21:28] | Bottom burn, red, raw, explode anus. | 下面烧焦又红有痛 肛门爆炸 |
[21:33] | You don’t accept any blame for this? | 对此 你不接受任何指责? |
[21:34] | Badger. Why not object? | 逼供 为什么不反对? |
[21:36] | Mal puppet! Look! She laugh! | 玩物丧志(玩忽职守) 看啊!她在笑! |
[21:38] | Make joke. | 在笑! |
[21:39] | Mal puppet! | 玩物丧志! |
[21:40] | Mal puppet! | 玩物丧志! |
[21:42] | 现在这个法庭啊 这个都不是我的律师来的(粤语) | |
[21:45] | Mr Tang! Mr Tang! | Tang先生!Tang先生! |
[21:45] | 什么脸都丢光了(粤语) | |
[21:47] | Not fair! | 不公平! |
[21:48] | Not fair! | 不公平! |
[21:59] | Mr Tang¡ | Tang先生… |
[22:00] | Not care. | 不关心 |
[22:11] | What happen now? | 现在怎样? |
[22:12] | Well. We go to closing arguments. | 嗯 我们要结案陈词了 |
[22:14] | Defense not put case? | 被告不辩护了? |
[22:16] | The defense rested. | 被告方辩词结束了 |
[22:18] | Evidently believing that we didn’t make our case. | 很明显他们认为我们没戏了 |
[22:23] | Sometimes that’s employed as a strategy. | 有时这也是一种策略 |
[22:32] | This must be very difficult for you mam’. | 女士 你一定很难过 |
[22:35] | Your son on trial for murder. | 你的儿子被控谋杀 |
[22:36] | It is. | 是的 |
[22:38] | I’m sure you must feel, as many of us do, | 我相信你感觉一定和我们一样 |
[22:40] | it’s all your fault. | 觉得这都是你的错 |
[22:42] | You were never home. | 你从不回家 |
[22:44] | I had to work! | 我必须工作! |
[22:45] | He never knew his father. | 他从没见过他的父亲 |
[22:46] | You have to be somewhat to blame for that. | 你一定抱怨过这点 |
[22:48] | How about his probation officer? | 他的缓刑监督官呢? |
[22:49] | Ever meet with him? | 有见过他吗? |
[22:50] | No! | 没有! |
[22:51] | Ever get your son into any kind of drug rehab program? | 有让你的儿子参加任何戒毒项目吗? |
[22:54] | We didn’t have money for that! | 我们根本没有这钱! |
[22:56] | I tried to do all I could. | 我尽我所能 |
[22:58] | Move to strike. | 请求删除这句证言 |
[23:00] | Counsel? | 辩护律师? |
[23:00] | I know he got thrown out of school his sophomore year. Why? | 我了解到他在大学二年级的时候 就被踢出校 为什么? |
[23:05] | Drugs. | 毒品 |
[23:06] | Did his principal come by to explain? | 校长有没向你解释? |
[23:08] | No! It was zero tolerance’. | 没有!学校是”零容忍” 政策 |
[23:10] | He just got expelled. | 他直接被开除了 |
[23:12] | He sounds like an awful child. | 他听起来像个挺槽糕的小孩 |
[23:15] | Just between us. | 就我们私底下说 |
[23:16] | Glad to be rid of him? | 你高兴可以摆脱他吗? |
[23:20] | That’s quite a look you’re giving me. | 我从你表情得到答案 |
[23:21] | Tell me. Have you ever shot anybody? | 告诉我 你曾经朝任何人开过枪吗? |
[23:28] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[23:32] | I thought that went well. What are your thoughts? | 事情进行的挺顺利 你觉得呢? |
[23:40] | I need help! | 我需要帮助! |
[23:45] | -Get off me. -Take it easy. | -放开我 -不许动 |
[23:46] | -Get off me. -Easy. | -放开我 -不许动 |
[23:47] | Don’t get off. | 不要放开他 |
[23:51] | Marshall, I won’t stay in the room with you if you’re gonna beat me up. | Marshall 如果你想打我的话 我不会再呆在这个房间 |
[23:55] | Can we have a conversation without you beating me up? | 你可以不打人而和我好好谈吗? |
[23:57] | Yes. | 可以 |
[24:00] | I need you to promise. | 我要你保证 |
[24:02] | I promise. | 我保证 |
[24:05] | Let him up. | 让他起来 |
[24:06] | Are you sure? | 你确定? |
[24:07] | My clients hit me all the time. | 我委托人经常打我 |
[24:09] | -Let him up. -Let’s go. | -让他起来 -起来吧 |
[24:15] | Thank you. Please go. | 谢谢 请离开 |
[24:18] | Sorry | 对不起 |
[24:22] | Marshall at the very beginning of this I asked you to trust me. | Marshall 从一开始我就叫你要相信我 |
[24:25] | Did I not? | 我说过吗? |
[24:26] | No! | 没有! |
[24:28] | I didn’t? | 我没有? |
[24:31] | I meant to. I’m sorry. | 我应该说的 抱歉 |
[24:33] | You’re supposed to be my lawyer! | 你应该是我的律师! |
[24:35] | You’re supposed to do everything you can! | 你应该尽你所能! |
[24:36] | You’re supposed to CARE! | 你应该关心案子! |
[24:44] | I am your lawyer. | 我是你的律师 |
[24:48] | Trust that. | 请相信这点 |
[24:59] | In open court? | 在公开法庭? |
[25:00] | It’s not funny Jamie. | 这不好笑 Jamie |
[25:02] | Look. These things. | 听着 这些事情 |
[25:06] | Sometimes they happen. | 有时是会发生 |
[25:07] | It happened twice. | 两次了 |
[25:11] | Jamie? | |
[25:13] | Could you excuse us please? | 可以给我们点时间吗? |
[25:25] | I want you to close. | 我要你做结案陈词 |
[25:27] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[25:28] | Good or bad, you have the relationship with the jury here. | 结果好或坏 你都和陪审员建立联系了 |
[25:32] | It would throw them if I suddenly got up. | 如果我突然出场 只会影响到他们 |
[25:36] | Do you think you’re capable of standing up and behaving like a professional? | 你觉得你可以站起来像个专业的律师吗? |
[25:43] | Yes. | 可以 |
[25:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[25:50] | I’m not doing this for you. | 我这么做不是为了你 |
[25:53] | I just believe it’s best for the client, | 我只是觉得这样对委托人最有利 |
[25:56] | if you dig yourself out of your own hole. | 如果你自己找回场子 |
[26:12] | Don’t want her close. Mal puppet. | 不要她陈词 玩物丧志 |
[26:14] | Mr Tang. | Tang先生 |
[26:15] | The jury might be confused if I got up. | 如果我来结案陈词 陪审员会感到迷惑 |
[26:18] | She think case funny. | 她觉得案子好笑 |
[26:20] | Up creek. No ping pong. | 困境 不准”乒乓” |
[26:26] | I think he means, paddle. | 我想他是说 不行 |
[26:30] | Miss Wilson? Are you ready? | Wilson小姐 你准备好了吗? |
[26:39] | Mal puppet. | 玩物丧志 |
[26:42] | When I began law school, | 当我进法律学校的时候 |
[26:45] | I was convinced that American juries would be negatively predisposed against my British accent. | 我深信美国的陪审员 会不喜欢我的英国口音 |
[26:51] | So I learned to speak American. | 因此我学着说美语 |
[26:54] | The thinking being, | 我的想法是 |
[26:56] | that the better the jurors related to me, | 陪审员和我关系越好 |
[26:58] | the better my chances of persuasion. | 我说服他们的机会越大 |
[27:00] | And let’s face it; | 大家知道 |
[27:01] | Americans are pretty arrogant about the English language. | 美国对于英语是很傲慢的 |
[27:04] | They expect the rest of the world, not only to learn it, | 他们希望世界上的人 不止是学习英语 |
[27:08] | but to speak it the way they do. | 还要像他们讲一样的口音 |
[27:11] | Tang Jing Yu doesn’t speak English very well. | Tang Jing Yu的英语说的不好 |
[27:16] | He even sounds a little funny. | 甚至听起来有点可笑 |
[27:18] | Combine his accent with the fact that | 他的口音 再加上 |
[27:20] | he got blown off a toilet. | 他说从马桶上被炸飞 |
[27:24] | I laughed. | 我笑了 |
[27:27] | Maybe some of you did as well. | 或许你们也有人笑了 |
[27:30] | But what’s not so damn funny, | 不过 一点都不好笑的是 |
[27:33] | is that this man was hurt. | 这男人受伤害了 |
[27:35] | He suffered third degree burns. | 他身上有3级烧伤 |
[27:38] | He’s scarred, for life. | 他这一生都留下了伤痕 |
[27:41] | Is he partly to blame? Absolutely. | 他有过失吗? 当然有 |
[27:42] | He should not have been smoking. | 他不应该在那吸烟 |
[27:44] | But the question is who is to blame, more? | 问题是 谁有更大的过失? |
[27:48] | Is it foreseeable that people smoke in lavatories? | 能预料到有人会在厕所吸烟吗? |
[27:51] | Of course it is. People smoke in bathrooms. | 当然能 大家都在厕所吸烟 |
[27:54] | In high schools. | 在高中学校里 |
[27:56] | On airplanes. In gas stations. | 飞机上 加油站 |
[28:00] | And knowing that this sometimes goes on, | 知道这些时会发生 |
[28:03] | you do not put flammables in a toilet bowl. | 就不该往马桶里扔易燃物 |
[28:09] | To do so, that is negligence. | 如果扔了 那就是疏忽 |
[28:14] | And as amusing as it all may be, | 最有趣的地方是 |
[28:16] | as a result of this negligence, | 疏忽的结果 |
[28:20] | an innocent man was injured. | 一个无辜的男子受伤了 |
[28:24] | He waited five years to get to trial, | 他等了5年才能上庭 |
[28:27] | only to be laughed at by his own lawyer. | 却得到被自己的律师嘲笑的结果 |
[28:33] | his man suffered real pain, | 这个人承受了极大的痛苦 |
[28:38] | and he deserves better. | 他应该获得更好的待遇 |
[28:54] | He knew the room had just been painted. | 他知道厕所刚被粉刷过 |
[28:57] | He was told not to go in. | 他被告知不要进去 |
[28:59] | The No Smoking’ signs were posted. | “不准吸烟”的标记张贴在墙上 |
[29:02] | The room had fumes.And still? | 厕所里有易燃气体 可他还是 |
[29:06] | He lights a match. | 点燃了火柴 |
[29:09] | He caused this. | 他导致了悲剧发生 |
[29:11] | He blew up my client’s bathroom, | 他引爆了我委托人的厕所 |
[29:14] | and he’s suing. | 现在他提出诉讼 |
[29:16] | Come on. | 拜托! |
[29:17] | That may not technically be a legal argument but, | 技术上来说 这或许不是法律论据 |
[29:20] | let me say it again. | 但让我再说一次 |
[29:21] | This was his negligence, not ours. | 这是他的疏忽 不是我们的 |
[29:25] | And you know that. | 这你们是知道的 |
[29:35] | The question is a simple one really. | 这其实是一个很简单的问题 |
[29:40] | Is it foreseeable that someone might light a match | 是否能预料到有人点燃火柴 |
[29:43] | and drop it in a toilet bowl? | 并丢进马桶 |
[29:47] | If no, find for the defendant. | 如果预料不到 被告赢 |
[29:50] | If yes, find for the plaintiff. | 如果可以 原告赢 |
[30:13] | I don’t know whether you saved yourself, | 我不知道你是否能起死回生 |
[30:19] | but that was a good closing Tara. | 不过那确实是个精彩的结案陈词 |
[30:21] | It was simple and persuasive. | 简单明了 有说服力 |
[30:24] | You did a very good job. | 你做得很好 |
[30:28] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[30:36] | Can we talk? | 我们能谈一下吗? |
[30:41] | You heard Andrea Mills’ testimony. | 你听过Andrea Mills的证词 |
[30:44] | There was a dispute over price. | 当时确有价格争吵 |
[30:47] | The defendant pulled his gun. | 被告拿出枪 |
[30:50] | And he fired. | 然后开枪 |
[30:51] | You can’t claim self-defense, ladies and gentlemen, | 你不能说这是自卫 女士们先生们 |
[30:54] | if you cause somebody to reach for his gun, | 如果你让某人拿出枪 |
[30:58] | only so you can then blast him. | 你就可以开枪射他 |
[31:00] | That’s ridiculous. | 这太荒谬了 |
[31:03] | Now. To be honest, I don’t know what the hell defense counsel was up to in this trial. | 现在坦白说 我真不知道辩护律师到底在干什么 |
[31:08] | I suspect all that nonsense was motivated by the fact that Mr. Shore knew he had no case. | 我怀疑这么多的废话都是因为 Shore先生知道自己没戏了 |
[31:14] | The defendant pulled a gun, in front of an eye witness and shot somebody. | 被告在一个目击证人面前拿出枪 并开枪射人 |
[31:19] | What could his lawyer really say or do? | 他的律师还能说什么做什么? |
[31:22] | So Mr. Shore tried to deflect attention on to himself. | 因此Shore先生想转移大家视线到他身上 |
[31:27] | But this isn’t about a lawyer’s antics. | 可是现在不是要看律师耍花招 |
[31:30] | We’re not in this room to enjoy defense counsel’s side show. | 我们在这房间不是要欣赏辩护律师的表演 |
[31:34] | We’re here because his client committed a murder. | 我们之所以在这里 是因为他的委托人犯了谋杀罪 |
[31:39] | A man is dead! | 一名男子死了! |
[31:54] | At the beginning, | 在开始的时候 |
[31:56] | you heard me mention that I was assigned this case. | 你们曾听我提及 我是被委派到这个案子的 |
[31:59] | We have this pro bono program | 我们有这个为公众利益服务的项目 |
[32:01] | because somebody has to be here for the guy. | 因为总需要有人站在这里为他说话 |
[32:04] | You see? That’s where our judicial system actually exceeds real life. | 你们看到吗? 这就是司法系统超越现实生活的地方 |
[32:08] | In here, somebody’s gotta be there for the guy. | 在这里 必须有人支持他 |
[32:11] | In life, Marshall Bagnell never met his father. | 生活中 Marshall Bagnell从没见过他的父亲 |
[32:15] | His mother worked fulltime, leaving him home alone all day. | 他母亲全职工作 整天把他独自留在家里 |
[32:18] | He got involved early in drugs. | 他很早就陷入毒品的泥沼 |
[32:21] | There was nobody there to get him in treatment. | 没有人让他去接受治疗 |
[32:24] | His parents, his teachers, | 他的父母 他的老师 |
[32:26] | school principals, probation officers, | 校长 缓刑监督官 |
[32:28] | people vested with the responsibility of caring for him a little. | 这些人都有责任照顾他 |
[32:32] | They didn’t. | 可他们没有做到 |
[32:34] | And he became a drug addict. | 他变成了瘾君子 |
[32:36] | Now, I’m not gonna stand here and ask you to care for him. | 现在 我不是要叫你们照顾他 |
[32:39] | God forbid. | 千万不要这样想 |
[32:40] | But, what I will ask is for you to recognize that | 然而 我想你们承认 |
[32:44] | life hasn’t been very fair to Marshall Bagnell. | 生活对Marshall Bagnell并不公平 |
[32:47] | The irony is, by pulling that trigger three times; | 讽刺的是 扣下扳机3次 |
[32:50] | he gets thrown into a system that’s required to treat him fairly. | 他被丢入一个要求公平对待他的系统 |
[32:55] | He gets a right to a fair trial. | 他被赋予一个接受公平审讯的权利 |
[32:58] | And if you afford him that right, | 如果你们都给予他这个权利 |
[33:01] | he must necessarily be found, Not Guilty’. | 他就必须被判“无罪” |
[33:07] | The supposed eye witness admitted she was watching television, her own words. | 所谓目击证人承认当时在看电视 用她自己的话说 |
[33:11] | She wasn’t looking at the man, at the time my client drew his weapon. | 当我的委托人拔出枪的时候 她并没有看着我的委托人 |
[33:16] | She told you that. She did not see. | 她告诉了你们 她没有看见 |
[33:20] | Now. What she did see supports precisely what Marshall told you. | 现在 她所看到的 正好证明了Marshall告诉你们的内容 |
[33:26] | The victim was going for his gun. | 受害人正拿出他的枪 |
[33:28] | At that point, my client could only shoot, or be shot. | 就在此时 我的委托要么只能开枪 要么被打中 |
[33:33] | That’s self-defense. | 这是自我防卫 |
[33:35] | That’s classic self-defense. | 典型的自我防卫 |
[33:38] | And think about it. | 试想想 |
[33:40] | If Marshall Bagnell wasn’t acting in self-defense? | 如果Marshall Bagnell不是在自我防卫 |
[33:43] | Why did he not shoot Andrea Mills? | 那为什么他不开枪射Andrea Mills? |
[33:47] | Why did he leave behind this eye witness? | 为什么他要留下一个目击证人? |
[33:50] | Perhaps, because she wasn’t about to shoot him. | 可能因为 她没有要开枪射他 |
[33:56] | Of course, you could choose to ignore all this, | 当然 你可以选择忽视所有这些 |
[33:58] | simply because you don’t care. | 就因为你不关心 |
[34:00] | Not only about Marshall Bagnell, | 不止不关心Marshall Bagnell |
[34:01] | but also about the law you swore to uphold. | 也不关心你发誓拥护的法律 |
[34:05] | Swore to, because what we do pretend to care about is the integrity of this system. | 发誓 是因为我们都假装关心 这个系统的完整性 |
[34:11] | We do believe in that cherished notion of a fair trial. | 我们相信公平审讯的观念 |
[34:14] | We’re fiercely loyal to the ideal that a prosecution must satisfy it’s burden of proof. | 我们坚信检举必须建立在证据之上 |
[34:20] | They haven’t done that here. | 这里并没有做到 |
[34:24] | As dearly as we’d all love to send Mr Bagnell to prison, | 尽管我们都很想把Bagnell送进监狱 |
[34:27] | we cannot know for a fact that the victim, | 我们不知道这个受害人 |
[34:30] | a drug dealer, rumored to have killed somebody before, | 这个传闻中杀过人的毒贩 |
[34:34] | didn’t draw his gun to shoot first. | 是否先拔出他的枪 |
[34:37] | We cannot know beyond all reasonable doubt | 在排除合理怀疑之后 我们不知道 |
[34:40] | that Marshall Bagnell didn’t fear for his life. | Marshall Bagnell有没感到生命有危险 |
[34:48] | And if he did reasonably fear for his life. | 而如果他有理由害怕丧命 |
[34:53] | If you believe it’s possible that he feared for his life, | 如果你们相信 他有可能害怕失去生命 |
[35:01] | you must find him Not Guilty’. | 你一定会判他”无罪” |
[35:07] | Unless of course, | 当然 除非 |
[35:12] | you don’t care. | 你们并不关心 |
[35:36] | Sixty-three thousand? | 6万3? |
[35:38] | We could get more. | 我们可以得到更多 |
[35:39] | But, we could get nothing. | 可是 我们也可能什么都得不到 |
[35:42] | I think it’s a decent offer. | 我觉得是个不错的赔偿 |
[35:43] | Clearly you were hurt. | 无疑你是受伤了 |
[35:44] | But just as clearly there was contributory negligence. | 但很明显地 也需要分担疏忽责任 |
[35:50] | What think? | 怎么想? |
[35:52] | I think we should take it. | 我觉得我们应该接受 |
[35:55] | what think? | 怎么想? |
[35:59] | I believe we should accept. As well. | 我也觉得应该接受 |
[36:05] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[36:07] | Okay. | 好的 |
[36:08] | I’m going to accept then. | 那我将同意接受 |
[36:11] | Okay. | 好的 |
[36:13] | This is a good result, Mr Tang. | 这是很好的结果 Tang先生 |
[36:17] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[36:29] | Thank you for closing. | 谢谢你的结案陈词 |
[36:34] | Good closing. | 很棒的结案陈词 |
[36:41] | Mr Tang. | Tang先生 |
[36:44] | I owe you a sincere apology. | 我欠你一个真诚的抱歉 |
[36:49] | Give already.Thank you. | 已经道过歉了 谢谢 |
[36:52] | Appreciate closing. | 感谢结案陈词 |
[37:03] | People laugh at me always. | 人们总是笑我 |
[37:06] | One reason I angry. | 我生气 的一个原因 |
[37:10] | Apologize for anger. | 抱歉发怒 |
[37:15] | You don’t need to apologize for anything. | 你不需要为任何事情道歉 |
[37:22] | Not mal puppet. | 没有玩物丧志 |
[37:31] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[37:40] | How long do they usually take? | 通常他们需要多长时间? |
[37:44] | There’s really no telling. | 这不好说 |
[37:45] | The judge will probably keep us here until six. | 法官可能留我们到6点 |
[37:52] | Look I’m sorry I jumped you. | 很抱歉我扑向你 |
[37:55] | I see now, you kinda had a strategy. | 现在我明白了 你是有策略的 |
[37:59] | Why didn’t you just tell us what it was? | 为什么你不直接告诉我们呢? |
[38:03] | Takes the fun out of it. | 这样就没乐趣了 |
[38:07] | I suppose I should thank you an’ all. | 我想我该谢谢你们 |
[38:10] | Well, I’d prefer money. | 好的 我更喜欢钱 |
[38:14] | You’re a big fraud. You know that? | 你是个大骗子 你知道吗? |
[38:17] | You do care about my son. | 你很关心我儿子 |
[38:20] | You’re not foolin’ me. | 你骗不了我 |
[38:27] | Jury’s back. | 陪审员回来了 |
[38:52] | What does it mean that it’s so fast? | 这么快就有结果 意味着什么吗? |
[38:55] | It’s usually a good sign when you win and a bad one when you lose. | 通常来说 你赢的话就是好的预兆 输的话就是坏兆头 |
[39:02] | We’ll know in second Marshall, hang in there. | Marshall 很快就知道结果 等等吧 |
[39:14] | Members of the jury, you reached verdict? | 各位陪审员 你们达成一致裁决了吗? |
[39:17] | We have. Your honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[39:18] | The defendant will please rise. | 被告请起立 |
[39:23] | What say you? | 请说 |
[39:25] | In the matter of the Commonwealth versus Marshall Bagnell, | 在联邦诉Marshall Bagnell一案 |
[39:28] | on the charge of Murder in the first degree’, | 对于一级谋杀的指控 |
[39:31] | we find the defendant, Marshall Bagnell, | 我们裁决被告人 Marshall Bagnell |
[39:34] | Not Guilty’. | “无罪” |
[39:37] | In the matter of the Commonwealth versus Marshall Bagnell, | 在联邦诉Marshall Bagnell一案 |
[39:40] | on the charge of Murder in the second degree’, | 对于二级谋杀的指控 |
[39:43] | we find the defendant, Marshall Bagnell, | 我们裁决被告人Marshall Bagnell |
[39:47] | Guilty’. | “有罪” |
[39:50] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, | 陪审团的各位 |
[39:52] | you are dismissed with the thanks of this court. | 你们可以解散了 谢谢 |
[39:55] | Security? | 警卫 |
[39:56] | Take the defendant into custody. | 拘留被告人 |
[39:58] | We are adjourned. | 退庭 |
[40:03] | We’ll explore grounds for appeal Marshall. | Marshall 我们还有机会上诉 |
[40:06] | Marshall!? Look at me. | Marshall!? 看着我 |
[40:09] | There’re still some things we can do. | 我们还有机会 |
[40:10] | We’ll explore all grounds for appeal. | 我们会争取上诉的 |
[40:15] | Marshall? I’ll let you know. Okay? | Marshall? 我会让你知道 好吧? |
[40:19] | Marshall? | |
[40:22] | I’ll come visit you tomorrow. | 我明天再来看你 |