时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Brenda Wilbur, who I believe you know. | Brenda Wilbur 你认识的 |
[00:02] | -She’s dead. -What? | – 她死了 – 什么? |
[00:04] | The police are out there. I was there. | 警察在那儿 我到过现场 |
[00:05] | I had make love to here earlier, and now they’re here to ask me questions. | 那之前我跟她上了床 现在他们来盘问我了 |
[00:08] | I need money, Alan. | 我需要钱 Alan |
[00:10] | So much so, I sometimes see it in my dreams. | 迫切到我都梦见它们了 |
[00:12] | I especially saw it at ten-thirty last night, | 昨晚10点半 我离它们更近了 |
[00:14] | when I saw Paul Stewart coming out of Brenda’s house. | 我看见Paul Stewart从Brenda家出来 |
[00:17] | How are we arranging to pay her off? | 我们怎么收买她? |
[00:19] | I cannot bribe this witness. | 我不能贿赂目击证人 |
[00:22] | I’m not letting my only child go to prison. | 我不能让我唯一的孩子进监狱 |
[00:25] | Wives don’t statically leave their husbands over infidelity. | 丈夫不忠的时候 妻子们并不会默默离开 |
[00:29] | You cannot walk out that door now. | 你现在不能走出那扇门 |
[00:31] | Maybe I do think he’s guilty of murder! | 也许我觉得他确实杀了人 |
[00:33] | Did he do this? | 是他干的吗? |
[00:36] | People change. | 人都会变的 |
[00:38] | If you only knew what I’ve become. | 如果你知道我现在是什么样的人 就明白了 |
[00:40] | When you were sixteen, | 你16岁的时候 |
[00:42] | you slept with your best friend’s mother. | 就跟最好朋友的母亲上床 |
[00:44] | How have you changed, Alan? | 你变了多少 Alan? |
[00:46] | I miss her. | 我想她 |
[00:47] | Somebody you love has died. | 你爱的人死了 |
[00:49] | You’re allowed to grieve. | 伤心是正常的 |
[00:51] | I’d like you to stay away from him. | 我希望你离他远一点 |
[00:53] | -I’m sorry. -I fear he’s become attached. | – 抱歉? – 我担心他会对你有感觉 |
[00:57] | I think a little distance is an order for you,Miss Wilson. | 我想让你保持点距离 Wilson小姐 |
[01:00] | This girl ended up in some very unlikely places. You of all people know that. | 这姑娘的下场很出人意料 你应该最能明白 |
[01:04] | -Meaning? – Was she ever with you? | – 什么意思? – 你跟她好过吗? |
[01:06] | Are you out of your mind? | 你疯了吗? |
[01:07] | Whatever you share with me here, | 不管你在这里跟我说了什么 |
[01:09] | it stays confidential between two old friends. | 都会是两个老朋友之间的秘密 |
[01:11] | Two old friends havin’ a beer. | 两个老友喝喝啤酒 |
[01:13] | You have my word. | 我保证 |
[01:14] | It happened once. | 有过一次 |
[01:16] | I’ve been subpoenaed! By the prosecution. | 我被控方传唤了 |
[01:18] | Why? | 为什么? |
[01:19] | He came here the night of the murder. | 凶案当晚他来过这里 |
[01:21] | -Paul? -He said that he needed to confess. | – 他说他要忏悔 |
[01:23] | I needed to speak with my priest. I didn’t go to confess murder! | 我是想跟我的牧师交谈 而不是忏悔罪行! |
[01:27] | But this doesn’t look good, Paul. | 但这是瓜田李下 Paul |
[01:28] | You’re seen leaving the victim’s house and then seen, minutes later, | 你被人看见从被害人家里出来 几分钟后 又有人见到你 |
[01:31] | rushing to a priest ostensibly to confess. | 急匆匆地跑去跟牧师忏悔 |
[01:33] | They have no witnesses to my leaving the house. | 他们没有目击证人 能证明我从她家出来 |
[01:35] | You hope. | 你祈祷吧 |
[01:36] | I saw Paul Stewart leave Brenda Wilbur’s house around ten-thirty the night of the murder. | 案发当晚10点半我看见Paul Stewart 从Brenda Wilbur家出来 |
[01:41] | Paul’s mother paid me six hundred thousand dollars not to come forward. | Paul的母亲给了我60万美元 让我保守秘密 |
[01:45] | But I have no doubt he killed that woman. | 但我确信是他杀了那女人 |
[01:51] | Personally, I think it’s a mistake to hire Alan Shore. | 个人认为雇佣Alan Shore是个错误 |
[01:54] | People in Dedham remember him and well¡ | Dedham的人们对他印象深刻… |
[01:57] | I won’t call him a liar, but let me put it this way, | 我不会说他是骗子 但这么说吧 |
[02:00] | if he went out to feed the pigs, | 如果他要去喂猪 |
[02:01] | he’d have to get somebody else to call them. | 也要找别人才能把猪喊过来 (猪不信他的话) |
[02:05] | That was very funny, Kevin. | 真有意思啊 Kevin |
[02:06] | I demand you stop referring to this man as witless. | 请你们别再说他无知了 |
[02:10] | Come on, Alan. | 走吧 Alan |
[02:15] | We will present evidence of the affair. | 我们会呈上证据 |
[02:18] | You will hear from a witness who places the defendant at the scene. | 在案发现场见到他的目击者 会出庭作证 |
[02:21] | You will hear from scientific experts who establish hair, body oils, semen on or in the victim, | 科学专家将出庭证明被害人 身上或体内的头发 身体油脂 精液 |
[02:28] | all coming from the defendant, | 都来自于被告 |
[02:30] | clothing taken from the victim’s home with blood spatterings from the victim. | 我们还在被害人家中找到 带有其喷溅血液的衣物 |
[02:34] | Ladies and gentlemen, in short, the evidence, | 女士们先生们 简单说 证据 |
[02:37] | all of it, eye witnesses, forensics, motive, every bit it, | 所有的证据 人证 物证 动机 所有的一切 |
[02:43] | points to one suspect and only one suspect, Paul Stewart. | 都指向一个唯一的嫌犯 Paul Stewart |
[02:56] | Isn’t it exciting? | 很刺激不是吗? |
[02:59] | A murder! | 一宗命案! |
[03:00] | Right in our own town! | 发生在我们镇上! |
[03:02] | The delicious kind, too. | 精彩至极 |
[03:04] | One of our own dead, one of our own charged, | 死的是自己人 被控告的是自己人 |
[03:07] | one of our own prosecuting and best of all, | 控方是自己人 最好的是 |
[03:09] | one of our own defending.Me. | 辩护律师也是自己人 我 |
[03:12] | My name is Alan Shore, | 我叫Alan Shore |
[03:14] | and assure you I’ll be doing everything I can to make this proceeding all about me. | 我保证我会让整个过程 以我为中心展开 |
[03:20] | Prosecution will no doubt take delight in that, because you see? | 控方肯定会为此高兴 因为你们知道吗? |
[03:24] | I’m a terrible person. | 我是个混蛋 |
[03:26] | Paul Stewart on the other hand is a good man. | 而Paul Stewart可是个好人 |
[03:29] | A kind one. | 友好善良 |
[03:30] | Innocent too, and they make for lousy defendants. | 清白无辜 怎么会是被告? |
[03:33] | Justice. | 公正 |
[03:34] | It works better when you get bad guys, not the innocent ones. | 在你抓到坏人时才有用 而不是冤枉无辜 |
[03:38] | And we here in Dedham¡ is it time for a break yet, Judge? Or shall I keep going? | 而在Dedham的我们… 该休息了吗 法官? 还是我继续说? |
[03:42] | Keep going. | 继续 |
[03:43] | We here in Dedham know all about travesty, don’t we? | 在Dedham的我们见识过 歪曲的事实 不是吗? |
[03:46] | Dedham! This very courtroom in fact, | Dedham! 正是在这间法庭 |
[03:48] | is ground zero for one of the worst miscarriages of justice in American history. | 发生了美国历史上最扭曲 司法公正的案件之一 |
[03:54] | Two innocent men, Nicolaus Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti were convicted, | 两个无辜的人 Nicolaus Sacco和 Bartolomeo Vanzetti正是在这里 |
[03:59] | where we stand, for crimes they didn’t commit. | 为莫须有的罪名 被判了刑 |
[04:03] | Why? | 为什么? |
[04:05] | Because the police needed these murders solved. | 因为警察需要结案 |
[04:09] | -Because they¡ -Mr Shore? | – 因为他们… – Shore先生? |
[04:10] | I’m going to instruct you to stick to this trial. | 我要求你针对本案发言 |
[04:20] | This trial, in a way, is about a second chance for Dedham. | 本案 从某种角度来说 是Dedham的第二次机会 |
[04:26] | In that other case, the one the Judge doesn’t want me to talk about, | 在那件案子里 就是法官不让我说的那件 |
[04:29] | we had Albert Einstein, George Bernard Shaw, Justice Felix Frankford or the Pope. | 爱因斯坦 萧伯纳 Felix Frankfurter法官 教皇 |
[04:33] | Even the Pope! All writing letters to Dedham, begging for justice! | 甚至教皇! 都写信到Dedham 恳求公正判决! |
[04:37] | Pleading! That we set those two innocent men free. | 请求我们释放这两个无辜的人 |
[04:40] | Dedham didn’t do that! | Dedham没这么做! |
[04:42] | On August 23, 1927, Sacco and Vanzetti were put to death. | 1927年8月23日 Sacco和Vanzetti 被执行死刑 |
[04:46] | Dedham didn’t get it right! | Dedham犯了大错! |
[04:51] | Today we have yet again an innocent man on trial. | 今天又有一个无辜的人被带上法庭 |
[04:56] | This time we need Dedham to get it right. | 这次Dedham应该做出正确的选择 |
[05:35] | S8E15 | |
[05:41] | Her eyes were open and vacant when we got there, | 我们赶到的时候 她双眼睁开 空洞无神 |
[05:43] | and her head was like bashed in and mushed. | 她的头部像是被猛烈撞击过 血肉模糊 |
[05:47] | We found the defendant’s semen in her vaginal area. | 我们在她的阴部找到了 被告的精液 |
[05:50] | We found strands of his hair on her person. | 在她身上找到他的发丝 |
[05:53] | And we found his oil secretions on her person. | 还有他的身体油脂 |
[05:55] | But you, in fact, suspected Paul Stewart even before the blood and hair analysis. | 但其实你在血液和头发化验 之前就已经怀疑Paul Stewart了 |
[06:00] | Yes. Because a witness placed him at the scene. | 是的 因为一位目击者 见过他出现在案发现场 |
[06:03] | In fact the witness placed him at the scene on many occasions. | 事实上 是看见他多次 到过案发现场 |
[06:07] | We suspected the affair, and when we first went to question Mr Stewart, | 我们怀疑他们的不正当关系 而且我们第一次去问讯Stewart先生时 |
[06:11] | his lawyer just so happened to be there. | 他的律师正好也在 |
[06:13] | I believe Mr. Stewart has a Constitutional right to Counsel. | 我相信宪法赋予了Stewart先生 寻找代理律师的权利 |
[06:17] | And I’d remind the court this is the United States of America. | 我还想提醒法庭 这里是美利坚合众国 |
[06:19] | Ah! Forgive me. | 啊! 请原谅 |
[06:21] | I’m sorry. I was thinking but the old America. Sorry! | 抱歉 我还以为是旧时代的美国 抱歉! |
[06:24] | Mr. Shore! | Shore先生 |
[06:25] | The court does not intend to tolerate your distractions. | 本庭无意姑息你扰乱秩序的行为 |
[06:30] | I have nothing further, Judge. | 我没有问题了 法官 |
[06:33] | All right, Mr Shore. | 好的 Shore先生 |
[06:36] | Now, it’s your turn. | 现在到你说了 |
[06:38] | Thank you, Your Honor. | 谢谢 法官大人 |
[06:41] | Hello, Detective. | 你好 警探 |
[06:42] | So, how are we today? | 今天好吗? |
[06:44] | Fine. | 不错 |
[06:46] | Tell me. | 告诉我 |
[06:46] | Would you regard yourself as a good detective? | 你觉得自己是个好警探吗? |
[06:49] | Yes. | 是的 |
[06:50] | You would? | 你这么觉得? |
[06:50] | So! All the evidence that exists against my client, we should figure you to have it? | 那 我们应该相信 你掌握了 所有对我的委托人不利的证据? |
[06:57] | Well. You say a witness placed Mr. Stewart at the scene. | 你说有个目击证人见到Stewart先生 出现在案发现场 |
[07:00] | That witness would be Catherine Piper? | 那个证人就是Catherine Piper? |
[07:02] | Yes. | 是的 |
[07:02] | Would you stand, Catherine? | 站起来一下好吗 Catherine? |
[07:05] | Is this witness the heart of your detectiving? | 这个证人就是你侦察推断的支点? |
[07:07] | No. She merely supports my findings. | 不 只是为我的发现提供了事实支持 |
[07:10] | The heart would be the physical evidence linking the defendant to the case. | 支点是将被告与本案联系起来的物证 |
[07:15] | Ah! The physical evidence. | 啊!物证 |
[07:16] | You mean like the murder weapon? | 你是说 比如凶器? |
[07:18] | Where is the murder weapon, by the way? | 顺便问问 凶器在哪? |
[07:20] | We didn’t find it. | 我们没找到 |
[07:21] | You didn’t find it? | 你们没找到? |
[07:23] | He obviously ditched it. | 很明显他扔掉了 |
[07:24] | Ditched it? Where? | 扔掉了? 到哪? |
[07:27] | You claim you’ve been able to plot out the exact route and timeline. | 你声称已经准确推断出了 他的一连串路线和时间点 |
[07:30] | My client went from Brenda’s house to Church to his mother’s house to his own house | 我的委托人从Brenda家到教堂 再到他母亲家 然后回到自己家 |
[07:35] | where he stayed till morning at which point he went to his office and from there the police station. | 一直呆到早上去办公室 最后被带到警察局 |
[07:40] | So? Where did he ditch it? | 那?他扔到哪里去了? |
[07:41] | We don’t know. | 我们不知道 |
[07:43] | You don’t know? That’s disturbing. | 你们不知道? 这可真让人困惑 |
[07:46] | Let’s turn to the victim then. | 我们再来说说被害人 |
[07:48] | Brenda Wilbur. | |
[07:49] | Where is she? | 她在哪儿? |
[07:51] | The body was inadvertently destroyed. | 尸体由于疏忽 被毁掉了 |
[07:53] | But the autopsy had been completed. | 但是尸检已经完成 |
[07:56] | Gee! No body. | 天! 没有尸体 |
[07:58] | No murder weapon. | 没有凶器 |
[07:59] | – Well! Lucky for us we have a good detective. -Objection! | – 幸好我们有个好警探 – 反对! |
[08:02] | So. Let me get this straight. By physical evidence you mean¡ | 那么我来理清楚 你说的物证是指… |
[08:06] | For starters, his semen. | 首先是精液 |
[08:07] | I see! | 我懂了! |
[08:08] | And his semen would explain, | 他的精液说明了 |
[08:10] | A: Making love to her, | A:跟她做过爱 |
[08:12] | or B: Killing her, or C: Loading zone for passengers only? | B:杀了她 或者C:乘客专用停车区? |
[08:16] | It means that he was there. | 说明他当时在场 |
[08:17] | But he could have been there hours earlier. Couldn’t he? | 但他可能是几个小时前在场 不是吗? |
[08:20] | His hairs were on her and his oil secretions. | 他的头发和油脂在她身上 |
[08:23] | Tell me, Detective, | 告诉我 警探 |
[08:24] | honestly, you actually found his hair samples and body oil secretions, | 说实话 你真的发现他的头发 和油脂 |
[08:29] | -right on the victim? -Yes. | – 在被害人身上? – 是的 |
[08:31] | -As she lay there dead? -Yes! | – 就在她的死尸上? – 是的! |
[08:33] | -You’re sure? -Yes! | – 你确定? – 确定 |
[08:33] | Well, then. I can see why you suspected him. | 好吧 那我明白你为什么怀疑他了 |
[08:38] | Nothing further. | 没有问题了 |
[08:41] | Oh! | 哦! |
[08:42] | I’m curious. | 我很好奇 |
[08:43] | Did you find anybody else’s hair or body oil secretions on the victim? | 你在被害人身上 发现 别人的头发和油脂了吗? |
[08:46] | Say for example, mine? | 比如 我的? |
[08:51] | Did you find my hair and oil secretions on the corpse, Detective? | 你在被害人尸体上找到 我的头发和油脂了吗 警探? |
[08:55] | Yes. Because you fainted on it. | 是的 因为你晕倒在她身上了 |
[08:58] | Well! Why didn’t you question me? | 那你为什么不问讯我? |
[09:00] | I certainly had motive. | 我完全有动机 |
[09:01] | I’m the one person in town she didn’t sleep with? | 我是本镇唯一没跟她上过床的人? |
[09:03] | Maybe I killed her? | 也许我杀了她? |
[09:04] | -Objection! -You think you’re funny? | – 反对! – 你觉得你很有趣吗? |
[09:05] | Any of your hair and fibers on her, Detective? | 那你的头发和纤维在她身上吗 警探? |
[09:07] | Because I helped you up after you fainted! | 因为你晕倒之后 我把你扶起来了! |
[09:10] | So there was evidence of you on the victim? | 那么在被害人身上还有与你有关的物证? |
[09:13] | Detective! You led this jury to believe | 警探! 你让陪审团相信 |
[09:16] | there was evidence of Paul Stewart and only Paul Stewart, on the body. | 在尸体上 有且只有与 Paul Stewart有关的物证 |
[09:22] | That wasn’t honest. | 那是假话 |
[09:23] | I won’t call you a liar, but who feeds your pigs? Objection! | – 我不会叫你骗子 但是那些假话从哪来的?(你的猪是谁喂的?) – 反对! |
[09:26] | Sustained. | 反对无效 |
[09:28] | So? Let’s see. | 那么? 看看 |
[09:30] | I could be a suspect. | 我可能是嫌疑人 |
[09:32] | How about Catherine Piper? She hated Brenda! | Catherine Piper呢? 她恨Brenda |
[09:35] | Stand up, Catherine. | 站起来 Catherine |
[09:37] | Did you investigate her? | 你调查她了吗? |
[09:38] | -No. Be¡ -You can sit down, Catherine. | – 没有 因… – 你可以坐下了 Catherine |
[09:40] | Wendy? Hi! | Wendy? 你好 |
[09:41] | Would you stand up please? | 你能站起来吗? |
[09:42] | Scorned wife! | 被无视的妻子 |
[09:44] | She certainly had a motive. | 她也有明显的动机 |
[09:45] | No alibi, I’m told. | 据说没有不在现场证明 |
[09:46] | Did you check her out? | 你查她了吗? |
[09:48] | I’m sure you didn’t. | 肯定没有 |
[09:49] | You can sit down. Thank you, Wendy. | 你可以坐下了 谢谢 Wendy |
[09:51] | So many suspects. Let’s not forget you, Kev. | 那么多嫌疑人 别忘了还有你 Kev |
[09:54] | Stand up, Judge. | 站起来 法官 |
[09:55] | Ah! Never mind. | 啊! 别在意 |
[09:56] | But you get my point, don’t you, Detective. | 但你明白我的意思了 对吗 警探 |
[09:58] | You really only looked at one person, didn’t you? | 你真的只查了那一个人 不是吗? |
[10:01] | Three years of fifth grade. | 上了三个五年级 |
[10:03] | We expected better. Shoddy work, Detective! | 我们以为你会比这强点 真差劲 警探! |
[10:05] | Objection! | 反对! |
[10:06] | Sustained. | 反对无效 |
[10:08] | I’m very disappointed. | 我真失望 |
[10:13] | Is that why you wanted me in the room? | 你让我来就是为了这个? |
[10:14] | So you could point to me as a possible suspect? | 你就可以说我可能是嫌疑人? |
[10:16] | I wanted you in the room to help secure an acquittal for your husband. | 我让你来 是帮我们为你的丈夫 赢得无罪判决 |
[10:19] | We do want that, don’t we, Wendy? | 这是我们想要的 不是吗 Wendy? |
[10:22] | Hello. | 你好 |
[10:24] | I want you to know, I don’t mind being a suspect at all. | 我想让你知道 我完全不介意做嫌疑人 |
[10:28] | It gives me edge. | 这让我很酷 |
[10:30] | Catherine, I’m having a private conversation here. | Catherine 我们这是私密谈话 |
[10:34] | Well, don’t dilly-dally, Dear. | 别到处瞎晃了 亲爱的 |
[10:37] | My testimony’s up next. | 下面就该我出庭作证了 |
[10:39] | We certainly don’t wanna miss that. | 大家肯定都不想错过吧 |
[10:48] | He would come to her house, at least three times a week. | 他经常去她家 一周至少三次 |
[10:52] | He’d park on the corner of Milton and Toby. | 他把车停在Milton和Toby街口 |
[10:55] | And then he’d walk a block. | 然后步行一个街区 |
[10:57] | Three times a week? | 一周三次? |
[10:58] | Yes. | 是的 |
[11:00] | To have lascivious sex with her. | 和她翻云覆雨一番 |
[11:02] | Ms Piper, on the day Brenda Wilbur was murdered¡? | Piper女士 Brenda Wilbur被谋杀那天… |
[11:05] | He was there! | 他在那儿! |
[11:06] | When? | 什么时候? |
[11:07] | Well, he came in the afternoon. | 他下午来的 |
[11:10] | And then, I saw him return that night. | 然后 晚上我看见他又回来了一次 |
[11:14] | Before ten. | 10点之前 |
[11:16] | Objection! | 反对? |
[11:17] | On what grounds? | 理由呢? |
[11:19] | From my interview with the witness. I believe she’s misspoken. | 与我对目击证人的取证相比 我觉得她是说错了 |
[11:24] | No, I haven’t. | 不 我没有 |
[11:25] | Could I be allowed to finish? | 我能说完吗? |
[11:27] | Sit! Mr. Shore. | 坐下 Shore先生 |
[11:31] | You saw him return at ten PM? | 你看见他在晚上10点又来了? |
[11:33] | Yes. | 是的 |
[11:34] | On the night Brenda Wilbur was murdered? | 就在Brenda Wilbur被谋杀那晚? |
[11:35] | Yes! | 是的 |
[11:36] | And when did he leave? | 然后他什么时候走的? |
[11:38] | Just after ten-thirty. | 刚过10点半 |
[11:41] | And he was running like there was something terribly wrong! | 他跑着离开 好像发生了什么坏事 |
[11:44] | Now, Ms Piper, when the police first questioned you, | 那么 Piper女士 警方最初问讯你时 |
[11:47] | you didn’t said nothing about the defendant being there that night. | 你完全没说 被告那晚在场 |
[11:51] | Because Victoria Stewart, Paul’s mother, | 因为Victoria Stewart Paul的母亲 |
[11:54] | paid me six hundred thousand dollars, not to. | 付了我60万美元 让我保密 |
[12:01] | We’re dead. | 我们完了 |
[12:03] | The mother of the defendant paid you six hundred thousand dollars? | 被告人的母亲付了你60万美元? |
[12:07] | And I’m so ashamed to say I took it. | 我很惭愧 我拿了那钱 |
[12:10] | I think that’s why Mr Shore was expecting me to lie just now. | 我想所以刚才Shore先生才希望我撒谎 |
[12:14] | But my conscience simply got the better of me. That’s why I came to you. | 但是我良心发现了 所以我去找你 |
[12:19] | I’m not the noblest of people. | 我不是最高尚的人 |
[12:22] | I’m obviously not above extortion. Or even lying! | 明显我没有控制住自己不去敲诈 或者不去说谎 |
[12:26] | But¡ I just couldn’t lie to help somebody get away with murder. | 但是…我不能说谎来让人 逃避谋杀罪 |
[12:32] | No, I can’t do that. | 不 我不能那么做 |
[12:35] | Thank you, Ma’m. | 谢谢 女士 |
[12:46] | Hello, Catherine. | 你好 Catherine |
[12:48] | Hello. | 你好 |
[12:50] | Tell me, Catherine. How do you feel about Victoria Stewart? | 告诉我 Catherine 你对Victoria Stewart有什么看法? |
[12:53] | Why, I loathe her, of course. | 怎么了 我当然讨厌她 |
[12:56] | As does everyone else in this town. | 就像这镇上所有的人一样 |
[12:58] | Yes. And in fact, I bet it occurred to you, | 是的 我猜你想到过 |
[13:01] | you could get the extortion money and still bring her down by going to the police. | 你可以拿了敲诈的钱 然后再去找警察 背后捅她一刀 |
[13:06] | Why, yes! That was exactly my thinking. | 是啊! 我就是这么想的 |
[13:08] | Just for fun, could you tell us your opinion of Brenda Wilbur? | 只是好玩 能说说你对 Brenda Wilbur的看法吗? |
[13:12] | She was a Godless whore. | 她是个辱神的婊子 |
[13:14] | In fact you complained to the police about all the men she entertained. | 事实上你跟警察投诉过 她跟很多男人乱搞的事 |
[13:18] | Tell me. Did you ever recognize any of these men? | 告诉我 你认识他们中的人吗? |
[13:21] | I don’t associate with those kinds of people. | 我跟那种人可没关系 |
[13:24] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[13:24] | So? In reviewing your testimony, | 再来回想一下你的证词 |
[13:27] | you hated Brenda, you hate Victoria and in fact extorted her. | 你恨Brenda 你恨Victoria 事实上你还敲诈了她 |
[13:32] | You saw a lot of men enter and leave what eventually turned out to be the murder scene. | 你看见很多男人进出那个 最后变成谋杀案现场的地方 |
[13:39] | But the only one you seemed to remember is my client. | 但是你只记得我的委托人 |
[13:44] | I guess, that’s pretty much it.Right? | 就是这么回事 对吧? |
[13:46] | You didn’t see anybody commit any crime, did you? | 你没看见任何人有任何犯罪行为 对吗? |
[13:52] | No! But I’m sure he did it. | 没有 但我确定是他干的 |
[13:54] | I see. | 我知道了 |
[13:55] | By the way, when you I said hello a few weeks ago we shook hands. | 还有 几周前我向你问好的时候 我们握了手 |
[14:00] | You had something on your glove. | 你手套上有点东西 |
[14:02] | Do you remember what that was? | 你还记得是什么吗? |
[14:04] | -Dog crap. -Yes. | – 狗屎 – 对 |
[14:06] | Do you remember why you reached for my hand with dog stool on yours? | 你还记得为什么把带着狗屎的手伸向我吗? |
[14:10] | Because, you put dog stool in a bag and left it on my doorstep. | 因为你曾把装着狗屎的口袋 放在我家门口的台阶上 |
[14:15] | And you ruined my fleece slippers! | 我的羊毛拖鞋都被你毁了 |
[14:17] | This happened when? | 这是什么时候的事? |
[14:18] | In 1971. | 1971年 |
[14:20] | So! You were getting even for a Halloween prank I pulled when I was nine? | 所以 你是要报复我9岁时的 万圣节恶作剧? |
[14:25] | Yes! | 是啊 |
[14:26] | You hate Godless whores, | 你恨辱神的婊子 |
[14:29] | and you’re a fan of vengeance. | 又爱报复别人 |
[14:32] | I am a Christian, dear. | 我是个基督徒 亲爱的 |
[14:40] | -I’m not breaking any seal. -I’m not asking you to. | – 我不会违背保密原则 – 我没要求你那样 |
[14:44] | But you could verify that Brenda Wilbur was a sexually aggressive woman. | 但你可以证实Brenda Wilbur 是个性欲强烈的女人 |
[14:49] | Who got herself into situations. | 所以自己自作自受 |
[14:52] | How would I know that? | 我怎么会知道? |
[14:53] | Tom. | |
[14:54] | We’re desperate. | 我们身陷绝境了 |
[14:55] | -I may have to ask you. -I’ll lie. | – 我可能得问到你 – 我会说谎的 |
[14:57] | No, you won’t. | 不 你不会的 |
[14:59] | It’s not in your character. | 你做不出来 |
[15:01] | You gave me your word. | 我向我保证过 |
[15:04] | I realize that. | 我知道 |
[15:06] | -If I had something to say that would help Paul¡ -You do. | – 如果我能说什么帮得到Paul的… – 你能 |
[15:08] | I don’t! | 我不能! |
[15:12] | The only thing that will come from my little admission… | 如果我承认 唯一的结果 |
[15:16] | is the destruction of my Church. | 就是我的教堂完了 |
[15:19] | My Parish. | 我的教区完了 |
[15:22] | And me. And I won’t do it. | 我也完了 我不会这么做的 |
[15:26] | I will lie, | 我会说谎 |
[15:27] | and I’ll be believed, | 而别人会相信我 |
[15:30] | – and your case will look all the more desperate. -I may have to take that chance. | – 然后你的案子就会陷入更深的绝境 – 我也许只得试试 |
[15:34] | Well, you’ll regret it. | 你会后悔的 |
[15:37] | I promise you. | 我保证 |
[15:49] | -There’s no reason to panic. -No reason? | – 没理由恐慌 – 没理由? |
[15:52] | The jury just heard that my mother tried to bribe a witness. | 陪审团刚听到我妈去贿赂目击者 |
[15:54] | Your mother did, you didn’t. | 那是你妈干的 不是你 |
[15:56] | I’m dead, Tara. | 我完了 Tara |
[15:57] | We still have a witness who thought that he saw a woman. | 我们还有一个目击证人 说他看到一个女人 |
[16:00] | -We still have your testimony. -My testimony. | – 我们还有你的证词 – 我的证词 |
[16:02] | What does my testimony¡? | 我的证词有什么…? |
[16:03] | -Listen, Paul¡ -Don’t handle me, Tara. | – 听着 Paul – 不要拉我 Tara |
[16:06] | You know, I realize that you’re assignment here to hand-hold the client. | 我知道你在这里的任务 就是拉住委托人 |
[16:10] | But don’t. | 但不要这样 |
[16:11] | My assignment isn’t to hand-hold the client. | 我的任务不是拉住委托人 |
[16:20] | Let me ask you something, Tara. | 我问你 Tara |
[16:24] | Do you think I’m innocent? | 你觉得我是清白的吗? |
[16:29] | Yes. | 是的 |
[16:34] | Yes. | 是的 |
[16:37] | Paul… | |
[16:40] | Paul?! | |
[16:44] | Could I have a moment with Ms Wilson, please? | 让我跟Wilson小姐呆一会儿 好吗? |
[16:47] | Why? | 干什么? |
[16:48] | I’d like a moment. | 就呆一会儿 |
[17:07] | You and I had a certain discussion. | 我们之前谈过了 |
[17:11] | My son has a family, Ms Wilson. | 我儿子是有家庭的 Wilson小姐 |
[17:14] | Despite this temporary setback Paul Stewart is a respected doctor and family man in this community. | 尽管现在出了点状况 Paul Stewart 在这里是受尊敬的医生 顾家的好男人 |
[17:22] | That is the reputation he once had, | 这是他曾有的声誉 |
[17:24] | and will have again, Ms Wilson. | 也即将恢复 Wilson小姐 |
[17:29] | I am confident you don’t mean to interfere with that. | 我相信你不会想搞破坏 |
[17:39] | I was actually getting ready to go home when he came in. | 他来的时候我其实正要回家了 |
[17:42] | This was around¡? | 这大约是在…? |
[17:43] | Eleven, or so. | 11点左右 |
[17:45] | Maybe a little bit earlier. | 或者还要早点 |
[17:46] | Father, can you describe the defendant as he entered your Church that night? | 神父 能描述一下被告进教堂时的神情吗? |
[17:52] | He seemed agitated. | 他看起来很焦虑 |
[17:53] | Agitated? | 焦虑? |
[17:57] | Did he say anything? | 他说什么了吗? |
[17:58] | He asked if he could go into the confessional. | 他问能否进行忏悔 |
[18:01] | Did something seem wrong? | 看起来像是有什么问题吗? |
[18:02] | Yes. | 是的 |
[18:03] | Did you go into the confessional? | 进行忏悔了吗? |
[18:06] | No. | 没有 |
[18:07] | He saw a member of the cleaning crew. | 他看见了一个清洁工 |
[18:09] | He seemed to panic, | 好像很惊慌 |
[18:11] | and he ran out of the Church. | 就跑出了教堂 |
[18:13] | And this was on or around eleven PM the night that Brenda Wilbur was murdered? | 这都发生在Brenda Wilbur被害 当晚11点左右? |
[18:17] | Yes. | 是的 |
[18:19] | Thank you, Father. | 谢谢你 神父 |
[18:26] | This agitation? | 他的焦虑? |
[18:28] | In your opinion, could it be consistent with Paul seeing Brenda’s murdered body. | 在你看来 会不会跟Paul见到 Brenda被杀害的尸体有关? |
[18:34] | A woman he loved. | 那是他爱的女人 |
[18:36] | Being emotionally traumatized by what he saw? | 以至精神上受到了打击? |
[18:38] | Something that made him run to his Clergy? | 这使得他去找自己的牧师? |
[18:40] | Yes. It could be consistent with all of that. | 是的 可能跟这些都有关系 |
[18:43] | Father. | 神父 |
[18:44] | Brenda Wilbur led a rather promiscuous life, didn’t she? | Brenda Wilbur一向滥交 不是吗? |
[18:47] | She was involved with various men, any number of whom could have come to her house that night. | 她跟很多不同的男人有染 其中任何一个都有可能在那晚去了她家 |
[18:53] | I wouldn’t know. | 我不知道 |
[18:55] | You wouldn’t know? | 你不知道? |
[18:57] | You were her priest, were you not? | 你是她的牧师 不是吗? |
[18:59] | I was. | 我是 |
[19:01] | Did she not indicate her propensity to seduce men? | 她没说过自己勾引男人的爱好吗? |
[19:06] | I cannot break the confessional seal. | 我不能违背忏悔的保密原则 |
[19:09] | I’m bound by Canon Law. | 我要服从教会法 |
[19:12] | Were you ever able to observe her outside the confessional. | 除了忏悔 你还在别的情景下见过她吗? |
[19:16] | Something you could talk about? | 有你可以透露的事吗? |
[19:19] | No. | 没有 |
[19:34] | Father? May I ask¡ | 神父? 我能问一下… |
[19:39] | were you ever romantically intimate with Brenda Wilbur? | 你是否曾与Brenda Wilbur有过亲密接触? |
[19:48] | Father, I asked you a question, | 神父 我向你提了一个问题 |
[19:50] | I’ll need to insist on an answer. | 请你务必回答 |
[19:53] | Did you have sex with Brenda Wilbur? | 你跟Brenda Wilbur发生过关系吗? |
[19:58] | Father? We need a response. | 神父? 我们需要答案 |
[20:08] | Yes. | 是的 |
[20:11] | I did. | 我有过 |
[20:19] | Was it she who seduced you? | 是她勾引你的吗? |
[20:23] | Yes. | 是的 |
[20:24] | Did she ever threaten to expose this | 她是否曾威胁要公开此事 |
[20:28] | to bring shame upon you and your Parish? | 让你和你的教区蒙羞? |
[20:32] | No. | 没有 |
[20:34] | She did not. | 她没有 |
[20:59] | Then the other night I came up here to sit. | 那天晚上我坐在这里 |
[21:03] | I was pretending were ten years old again. | 假装自己又回到10岁 |
[21:08] | With everything ahead of us. | 所有的事都还没发生 |
[21:11] | I’ve always believed, life should come with one free do-over. | 我始终相信 人生可以免费重来一次 |
[21:20] | Are we gonna win? | 我们会赢吗? |
[21:31] | Listen. | 听着 |
[21:32] | Our defense has shifted a little. | 我们的辩护有点改变 |
[21:34] | After I call Paul, I’m calling you. | 在我传唤Paul之后 我要传唤你 |
[21:36] | Me? | 我? |
[21:37] | You need to explain why you bribed Catherine Piper. | 你得解释为什么要贿赂Catherine Piper |
[21:40] | You need to convince the jury Paul had nothing to do with that. | 你得让陪审团相信 此事与Paul无关 |
[21:44] | I thought the idea was to distance me from the defense. | 我不是不能跟辩护扯上关系吗 |
[21:47] | Well, you’ve made that impossible. | 你破坏了这种可能 |
[21:57] | We had made love that day. | 那天我们做爱了 |
[21:59] | Evening, really. Around six. | 准确说是在傍晚 6点左右 |
[22:02] | I left, returned around ten, | 我离开了 10点又回去了 |
[22:05] | after I couldn’t get her on the phone. | 因为之前我打不通她的电话 |
[22:08] | And then I found her. | 然后我发现了她 |
[22:09] | Dead? | 死了? |
[22:10] | Yes. | 是的 |
[22:12] | Then what did you do? | 之后你干嘛了? |
[22:14] | I was experiencing panic. | 我觉得很惊慌 |
[22:16] | Panic? | 惊慌? |
[22:17] | I’m¡ | 我… |
[22:19] | I was a married man. A family man. | 我是个已婚 顾家的男人 |
[22:21] | I had a lot riding on this community that stemmed from leading a life of integrity. | 我因为生活正派 在这里有着好名声 |
[22:27] | I think I felt my life imploding. | 我觉得我的生活要被毁了 |
[22:29] | Why didn’t you call the police? | 你为什么不叫警察来? |
[22:31] | Clearly I should have. | 显然我应该这么做 |
[22:33] | There was nothing I could do to help Brenda. | 我没办法帮Breanda |
[22:36] | As I said, I panicked and I ran to Tom. | 我说了 我惊慌失措 跑去找Tom |
[22:39] | Father Dugan? | Dugan神父? |
[22:40] | Yes. | 是的 |
[22:41] | I went to the Church, I think, I guess to seek counsel or support. | 我去了教堂 想去寻求建议和支持 |
[22:47] | And then when I got to the Church I saw somebody from the cleaning crew and I panicked once again. | 我到的时候 看见了清洁工 我又惊慌起来 |
[22:51] | I ran to my mother’s. | 赶去了我母亲家 |
[22:53] | What did you do there? | 为什么去那儿? |
[22:54] | There’s a treehouse in the woods out back that I built as a child, with you actually! | 那后面的树林里 有我童年时 做的一个树屋 还是跟你一起做的 |
[23:01] | It’s a hideout from the world. | 它是我逃避现实世界的避难所 |
[23:05] | I think I went there to seek refuge, I guess. | 我想我是去那里找寻庇护 |
[23:08] | Paul, how long had you been having an affair with Brenda? | Paul 你跟Brenda的外遇 持续多久了? |
[23:11] | It was two years. | 两年 |
[23:13] | Do you know if there were other men in her life? | 你知道她有其他的男人吗? |
[23:16] | I believe there were, yes. | 我想是的 |
[23:19] | But she would never tell me because¡ | 但她从没告诉过我 因为… |
[23:21] | Because why? | 因为什么? |
[23:23] | Because she knew I loved her. | 因为她知道我爱她 |
[23:27] | Did you kill her? | 你杀了她吗? |
[23:29] | No! | 没有! |
[23:30] | I was there that night! | 那晚我去过那里 |
[23:32] | But I didn’t kill her! | 但我没有杀她 |
[23:33] | And I didn’t see who did! | 我也没看见是谁干的 |
[23:37] | You find a loved one lying in a pool of blood? | 你发现自己心爱的人躺在血泊中? |
[23:40] | You don’t call an ambulance? | 你没打电话叫救护车? |
[23:42] | You don’t call the police? You just leave? | 你没打电话叫警察?你就那么走了? |
[23:44] | I knew she was dead. And as for the police? | 我看得出来她已经死了 至于警察? |
[23:47] | I¡ My family name in this town¡ | 我…我的家族声誉在这座城里… |
[23:49] | Oh, yes! The family name. | 哦 对了!家族声誉 |
[23:51] | Tell me about this treehouse you built? | 说说你建的那个树屋 |
[23:54] | You’re into carpentry, Doctor? | 你喜欢木工活 医生? |
[23:56] | It’s a hobby. | 是个爱好 |
[23:57] | Hobby? | 爱好 |
[23:58] | Funny! We confiscated a tool box in the trunk of your car. | 有趣极了! 我们从你的汽车后备箱里 没收了一个工具箱 |
[24:02] | Couldn’t find a hammer? | 里面的锤子不见了 |
[24:03] | The toolbox was missing more than just a hammer. | 那个工具箱里缺的不止是锤子 |
[24:05] | -It was also missing several tools¡ -But notably the hammer! | – 还有几个别的工具也不见了… – 但最显眼的是锤子 |
[24:08] | I believe you seized several hammers from my house. | 我想你们在我家已经 找到了好几把锤子 |
[24:10] | None that matched that set! | 都跟那工具箱里的不配套 |
[24:12] | Look! You traced my moves that night. | 你们那晚跟踪了我 |
[24:14] | -If I had tossed or ditched a weapon¡ -Where’s the hammer, Dr Stewart? | – 如果我扔掉了什么凶器… – 那把锤子呢 Stewart医生? |
[24:18] | Your Honor, I must object to this. | 法官大人 我必须得反对了 |
[24:20] | It’s one thing not have evidence, it’s quite another to try to prosecute with that which you do not have. | 没有证据是一回事 但根据 莫须有的证据来起诉又完全是另一回事了 |
[24:24] | Well, I tell you I have a hammer! | 告诉你 我就有一把锤子 |
[24:26] | It’s a hammer of justice, it’s a hammer of freedom, | 一把公正与自由的锤子 |
[24:29] | it’s song about love between my brothers and my sisters all over this land. | 它是这片广阔土地上 我的兄弟姐妹们情谊的颂歌 |
[24:34] | Except, perhaps Dedham, Massachusetts. | 也许除了Massachusetts州的Dedham之外 |
[24:41] | What? | 怎么了? |
[24:45] | I have good news and bad news. | 我有好消息和坏消息 |
[24:48] | Bad news first. | 先来坏的 |
[24:50] | My focus group thinks Paul is guilty. | 我的意见组觉得Paul有罪 |
[24:53] | And the good? | 好的呢? |
[24:55] | They love you! | 他们爱你! |
[24:58] | Splendid. | 棒极了 |
[25:02] | Alan, we might wanna think about a plea. | Alan 也许我们需要想想抗辩词 |
[25:04] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[25:07] | I think not. | 我觉得不需要 |
[25:09] | This focus group is obviously trying to tell us something. | 意见组明显是在给我们信息 |
[25:11] | Jamie. Try to understand this. | Jamie 你这么来理解吧 |
[25:13] | If we plead out I don’t get to give my closing, and I’ve practiced it so. | 如果我们抗辩 我就不能做结案陈词了 但我已经练习好了 |
[25:19] | You need to take this seriously. | 你应该认真点 |
[25:22] | Everybody out. Now. | 所有人现在都出去 |
[25:24] | Except, Alan. | 除了Alan |
[25:27] | I’m the client. I get to call the occasional shot. | 作为委托人 我能下个临时的命令吧 |
[25:29] | Everybody out. Now! | 所有人都出去 快! |
[25:42] | Seems like the old days. | 就像回到以前 |
[25:45] | You and I getting in all kinds of trouble. | 你和我惹了各种麻烦 |
[25:48] | And you having the time of your life. | 而你悠闲自得 |
[25:51] | I’m facing prison. | 我面临监禁 |
[25:53] | I’m doing the very best I can. | 我在尽最大的努力 |
[25:57] | Is there a good deal to be made here? | 是不是有别的退路? |
[25:59] | For a guilty man I’m sure there’s a terrific deal to be had. | 对一个有罪的人 那当然是条好路 |
[26:03] | For the innocent? It would be despicably unfair. | 对于无辜的人 那卑劣而不公正的路 |
[26:06] | Which would you like, Paul? Good or bad? | 你想走哪条 Paul? 好的还是坏的? |
[26:09] | -I didn’t kill Brenda. -I know you didn’t. | – 我没杀Brenda – 我知道你没有 |
[26:11] | So let’s not quit. | 那我们就别放弃 |
[26:19] | I know it was stupid thing to do. | 我知道这样做很蠢 |
[26:21] | So why did you do it? | 那你为什么要做? |
[26:23] | I suppose I was afraid that my son wouldn’t get a fair trial. | 我想我当时是害怕 我的儿子得不到公正的判决 |
[26:28] | I, I know how people think of me. | 我知道人们怎么看我 |
[26:31] | But Victoria, if you knew your son was innocent? | 但是Victoria 如果你知道你儿子是无辜的 |
[26:33] | Why bribe a witness? | 为什么要贿赂目击证人? |
[26:35] | Catherine Piper’s so biased! | Catherine Piper心里充满了偏见 |
[26:37] | I was concerned that she’d paint the worst possible picture. | 我担心她会添油加醋 |
[26:42] | And I¡ | 而我… |
[26:44] | It was a bad idea. One that¡ | 那不是个好主意 那… |
[26:48] | I was probably blinded a little. | 我大概是被自己对Paul的爱 |
[26:52] | By my love for Paul. | 蒙住了双眼 |
[26:54] | Your love for Paul. | 你对Paul的爱 |
[26:55] | The perception is Paul is the most precious thing in your life. | 就是说Paul是你生命中 最珍贵的东西 |
[27:00] | Yes. | 是的 |
[27:02] | As Paul’s oldest friend I’ve know you a very long time haven’t I? | 作为Paul的老朋友 我已经认识你很久了 对吗? |
[27:07] | Yes, you have. | 是的 |
[27:11] | When I was sixteen years old, | 我16岁的时候 |
[27:13] | you and I made love. | 我们上过床 |
[27:16] | Several times in fact. | 好几次 |
[27:28] | Mr Shore. | Shore先生 |
[27:29] | As riveted as I am, and I am, | 尽管我饶有兴趣 确实是的 |
[27:33] | I’m not sure this has anything to do with this trial. | 但我觉得这恐怕跟本案无关吧 |
[27:36] | I’m afraid it does, Your Honor. | 我看是有的 法官大人 |
[27:38] | Sleeping with me caused you a great deal of distress, didn’t it Victoria? | 跟我上床让你心里很难受 不是吗Victoria? |
[27:43] | As I recall, you saw a therapist and he opined you were perhaps, | 据我回忆 你去看心理医生 而他提出你也许 |
[27:47] | on some unconscious level, not so much making love to me! | 出于某种无意识状态 并不是跟我做爱 |
[27:50] | But rather to Paul. | 而是跟Paul |
[27:53] | Victoria? Are you in love with your son? | Victoria 你爱上自己的儿子了吗? |
[27:59] | -That’s ridiculous. -Is it? | – 太荒唐了 – 不是吗? |
[28:01] | I once asked you why never remarried after you husband died. | 我曾经问你 为什么丈夫死后 你没有再婚 |
[28:05] | And your response was, You know full well, why! | 你的回答是 “你很了解是为什么” |
[28:08] | Was that an admission to me, you were in love with your son? | 这是不是在告诉我 你爱上了自己的儿子? |
[28:12] | I love my son! | 我爱我的儿子! |
[28:14] | The way a mother loves a child. | 但是一个母亲对孩子的爱 |
[28:17] | It was never romantic love! | 绝非男女之情 |
[28:19] | Did you kill Brenda Wilbur? | 你杀了Brenda Wilbur吗? |
[28:23] | Brenda Wilbur was not only compromising your son with a sordid affair, | Brenda Wilbur不止与你的儿子 有着可耻的婚外情 |
[28:28] | she was not only destroying his family, his reputation, | 她不止毁了他的家庭 他的声誉 |
[28:32] | she was sleeping with the man you wanted to sleep with! | 她还跟那个你想与之上床的人做爱 |
[28:35] | That is sick! | 太恶心了 |
[28:37] | If I’m gonna be accused of such depravity I should like to consult an attorney. | 如果我要以这种恶行被起诉 我得找律师了 |
[28:43] | That’s alright, Victoria. | 没关系 Victoria |
[28:45] | I won’t accuse you of anything. | 我不会起诉你 |
[29:06] | Well! | 哇! |
[29:08] | That was wonderful. | 真是棒极了 |
[29:12] | I guess since paying off the witness didn’t work out, | 我猜既然贿赂证人没得逞 |
[29:16] | why not a little performance? | 不如演场戏? |
[29:19] | And that was just wonderful! | 简直棒极了 |
[29:21] | I guess we’ll leave it at: | 我想我们的结论就是 |
[29:23] | you really, really love your son. | 你真的 真的很爱你的儿子 |
[29:34] | Mr Shore? | Shore先生? |
[29:36] | Defense rests, Your Honor. | 被告问完了 法官大人 |
[29:48] | Ideally, whenever a crime is committed, | 理想情况下 无论何时有罪案发生 |
[29:51] | the police should conduct an open and thorough investigation leading to a conclusion. | 警察都应该进行 公开详尽的调查 从中得出结论 |
[29:55] | In the best case scenario, the truth. | 得出案发经过 得出事实 |
[29:58] | But that presumes having unlimited resources which clearly we don’t. | 但那是在拥有充分证据来源的前提下 而我们却并非如此 |
[30:03] | So what often happens, | 所以通常来说 |
[30:04] | we pick the most likely guy and exhaust all we’ve got trying to nail him. | 我们找出最有嫌疑的人 用尽我们所掌握的一切线索 去治他的罪 |
[30:09] | That happened eighty-plus years ago with Sacco and Vanzetti, | 这发生在80多年前的 Sacco和Vanzetti身上 |
[30:12] | it’s happening here with Paul Stewart. | 又在此地的Paul Stewart身上重演 |
[30:14] | Every year ten thousand innocent people are convicted in this country. | 这个国家每年都有1万无辜的人被定罪 |
[30:21] | That’s according to one study. | 这是一项研究的结果 |
[30:23] | Others say that figure is low. | 还有人说这个数字小了 |
[30:25] | That’s staggering. | 这真令人发指 |
[30:27] | It’s disgraceful. | 这是种耻辱 |
[30:30] | Ten thousand wrongful convictions, every year. | 每年1万桩错判的案件 |
[30:36] | Why? | 为什么? |
[30:38] | Mainly because juries don’t insist on finding guilt beyond all reasonable doubt. | 主要是因为陪审团未能坚持 在所有合理的怀疑都不成立时 才能定罪 |
[30:46] | When a person is killed, | 当有人被杀了 |
[30:48] | we want somebody convicted. It’s human nature. | 我们想让某个人被治罪 这是人性使然 |
[30:51] | There’s closure in saying a crime has been solved. | 说解决了一桩罪案 一切就了解了 |
[30:54] | There’s also safety in it. | 还有安全的因素 |
[30:55] | We like to go to bed at night thinking the bad guy’s been captured. | 我们想在晚上上床睡觉时 想着坏人已经被抓了 |
[30:58] | Especially in smalls towns where we’re desperate to feel safe. | 特别是在大家亟需安全感的小城镇里 |
[31:01] | Please let Paul Stewart be the guy! | 就让Paul Stewart做那个人吧 |
[31:05] | He must be the guy! | 他必须做 |
[31:08] | He’s not the guy. | 他不是那个人 |
[31:11] | So who is? | 那谁是呢? |
[31:17] | Catherine Piper is a lunatic who not only derives glee in making the Stewart family suffer, | Catherine Piper是个疯子 她不止 把快乐建立在Stewart家的痛苦之上 |
[31:22] | she hated the victim as well. | 她还恨被害人 |
[31:26] | And she just so happened to live right across the street from her. | 而她正好就住在她家对面 |
[31:30] | Wendy Stewart? | |
[31:32] | Had motive, she was angry, and hurt. | 有动机 她很生气 而且被伤害了 |
[31:36] | Betrayed wives have certainly been known to react with violence. | 事情证明被背叛的妻子 很可能诉诸暴力 |
[31:40] | And she has no alibi. | 而且她没有不在场证明 |
[31:45] | Father Tom Dugan. | Tom Dugan神父 |
[31:46] | He had illicit sex with the victim, | 他与被害人有不正当的性关系 |
[31:49] | she had a history of committing extortion, | 她以前也曾敲诈过别人 |
[31:51] | he had everything to lose. | 而他会为之失去一切 |
[31:53] | And let’s not forget Victoria, obsessed with her son’s life. | 我们还别忘了Victoria 对他儿子的生命倾注深刻的感情 |
[31:57] | His reputation. His legacy. | 他的声誉 他的影响 |
[31:59] | Or simply obsessed with her son. | 或者只是对他本人有感情 |
[32:03] | The point is, people, there are many potential suspects in this case. | 重点是 大家 这个案子里有 如此多可能的嫌疑人 |
[32:08] | And that would include all the strangers in Brenda Wilbur’s life. | 还包括Brenda Wilbur生活中 那些我们不认识的人 |
[32:12] | We know nothing of the nature and disposition of those relationships. | 我们不知道这些关系的性质和情况 |
[32:16] | Of the possible jealousies and betrayals. | 不知道可能存在的嫉妒和背叛 |
[32:19] | Precisely because they were never investigated. | 这完全是因为他们根本没去调查 |
[32:24] | Paul Stewart represented only a small fraction of this woman’s life. | Paul Stewart在这个女人生命中 只占了一小部分 |
[32:30] | If this jury is going to insist on finding guilt beyond all reasonable doubt, | 如果这个陪审团坚持 在所有合理的怀疑都不成立时 才能定罪 |
[32:36] | Paul Stewart must be acquitted. | Paul Stewart就应该无罪释放 |
[32:40] | Nobody witnessed this murder being committed. | 没人目击到案发经过 |
[32:43] | The murder weapon was never found. | 杀人凶器没有下落 |
[32:45] | Despite the police tracing my client’s every step. | 尽管警察严密跟踪了我的委托人 |
[32:48] | Prosecution inadvertently destroyed the victim’s body before we could properly examine it. | 控方在我们仔细检查之前 就出于疏忽毁掉了被害人的尸体 |
[32:53] | Of course there’s reasonable doubt. | 合理的怀疑当然是存在的 |
[32:57] | Reasonable doubt. | 合理的怀疑 |
[33:06] | I love Paul Stewart. As I would a brother. | 我爱Paul Stewart 就像爱自己的亲兄弟 |
[33:10] | I grew up with him. | 我跟他一起长大 |
[33:13] | It’s one of the reasons I know he’s innocent. | 这是我认为他无辜的一个原因 |
[33:18] | He’s not infallible. | 他绝对可靠 不会犯错 |
[33:20] | He had an affair. | 他有了婚外情 |
[33:22] | It may cost him his marriage, perhaps the respect of his children. | 这也许会让他失去婚姻 也许还有他孩子的尊敬 |
[33:26] | But he did not, Paul could not take the life of another human being. | 但他没有杀人 Paul不会去取别人的性命 |
[33:32] | He simply could not. | 他根本没有这种能力 |
[33:40] | This may surprise you. | 也许会让你们吃惊 |
[33:44] | I love Dedham, Massachusetts. | 我爱Massachusetts的Dedham市 |
[33:48] | I grew up here. | 我在这里长大 |
[33:52] | I’m offended by its legacy of convicting innocent people | 对它以前冤枉无辜的历史 我及不愉快 |
[33:57] | because I know that’s not who we are. | 因为我知道这不是我们的本色 |
[34:03] | This time, let’s set the innocent man free. | 这一次 让我们把自由还给无辜的人 |
[34:26] | Rarely, do we actually see somebody commit the crime. | 我们很少能亲眼见证罪案的发生 |
[34:30] | Typically, criminal cases are circumstantial. | 一般刑事案件都是根据情况细节论断的 |
[34:33] | Now, the circumstances here are that the defendant had an affair with the victim. | 现在的情况细节是 被告跟被害人有婚外情 |
[34:41] | There was evidence that she tried to extort him. | 有证据证明她曾勒索他 |
[34:44] | He had incentive to protect his family name and his community status. | 他有动机去保护他的家族名誉 他在这里的地位 |
[34:49] | His hair, fibers, body oils were found all over the victim. | 他的头发 皮肤纤维和油脂 遍布被害人的尸体 |
[34:54] | His semen was found in the victim. | 他的精液在被害人体内 |
[34:57] | Blood all over his clothes, | 他的衣服上都是血迹 |
[34:59] | he was spotted leaving the scene. | 有人看见他离开案发现场 |
[35:03] | That is overwhelming circumstantial evidence, ladies and gentleman. | 有压倒性的情况证据 女士们先生们 |
[35:07] | And it certainly allows you to find guilt beyond reasonable doubt. | 这些都让你们能在 所有合理的怀疑都不成立的情况下定罪 |
[35:11] | Now I suspect the defense Counsel already knows that, | 我怀疑被告律师已经明白这点了 |
[35:14] | which is why he began finger-pointing elsewhere, everywhere. | 所以他到处指指点点 |
[35:18] | Oh. Hey! Maybe an eyewitness did it! | “哦 嘿!也许是目击证人干的” |
[35:20] | Oh! Perhaps the priest! | “哦 也许是牧师” |
[35:22] | Hey! How about the defendant’s own mother? | “嘿! 被告自己的母亲如何?” |
[35:26] | And to compound this blatant attack on your intelligence, | 为了完成对你们智商的无耻蔑视 |
[35:28] | Mr Shore buttons his eloquent closing by appealing to your sense of justice. | Shore先生用他滔滔不绝的结案陈词 来试图唤起你们的正义感 |
[35:34] | This lawyer deliberately fell on the body to contaminate evidence. | 那个律师故意倒在尸体上 破坏证据 |
[35:39] | The mother of the defendant tried to buy a witness. | 被告人的母亲试图贿赂证人 |
[35:41] | They staged a performance by mom to make you think that | 他们上演了一场母亲主演的闹剧 让你们认为 |
[35:44] | she killed the victim out of jealousy! | 她出于嫉妒杀了被害人 |
[35:46] | Now, this would be funny if it weren’t a murder trial? | 如果这不是桩罪案 这很有趣吧? |
[35:50] | But it is. | 但这正是 |
[35:52] | That man picked up a hammer and bludgeoned a woman to death. | 那个男人举起一把锤子 把一个女人击打致死 |
[35:56] | He’s asking you to ignore that because of Sacco and Vanzetti. | 他要求你们忽略这一事实 就因为Sacco和Vanzetti |
[35:58] | The police didn’t explore any other suspects because there are no other suspects. | 警方没有寻找别的嫌疑人 因为并不存在 |
[36:04] | Paul Stewart is the man who killed Brenda Wilbur! | Paul Stewart就是杀害Brenda Wilber的凶手 |
[36:08] | Which is why he dashed off to his priest to confess. | 所以他才匆忙跑去跟牧师忏悔 |
[36:39] | At some point will they send us home? | 他们什么时候能让我们走? |
[36:41] | Nine o’clock. | 9点 |
[36:45] | He was really compelling. | 他在尽自己的努力 |
[36:47] | The DA. | 检察官 |
[36:50] | How many times are you gonna say that? | 你还要说几次? |
[36:52] | I said you were good too. | 我说了 你也干得不错 |
[36:59] | If the news is bad, | 如果是坏消息 |
[37:01] | do I go into custody right away? | 我当即就会被羁押吗? |
[37:03] | The new isn’t gonna be bad. | 不会是坏消息的 |
[37:07] | We’re winning. | 我们会赢 |
[37:55] | Don’t they make eye contact when it’s an acquittal? | 如果是无罪判决 他们会眼神交流对吗? |
[37:57] | -No. -Yes. | – 不会 – 是的 |
[38:04] | I’m going to call on the foreperson to read the verdict. | 请陪审团代表宣读判决结果 |
[38:09] | And I want decorum maintained by everyone. | 请各位保持镇定 |
[38:13] | Especially the media. | 特别是媒体人员 |
[38:17] | Madame Foreperson? Do you have a verdict? | 陪审团主席 你们有判决结果了吗? |
[38:21] | Yes, Your Honor. | 是的 法官大人 |
[38:23] | Mr Stewart? | Stewart先生 |
[38:24] | You may stand up for the reading. | 请站起来听取结果 |
[38:29] | Would you please announce your verdict? | 请宣读吧 |
[38:35] | On the matter of the Commonwealth versus Paul Stewart | 联邦政府起诉Paul Stewart |
[38:39] | on the charge of murder in the first degree, | 一级谋杀罪一案 |
[38:43] | we the jury, find the defendant, Paul Stewart, | 我们陪审团 认为被告 Paul Stewart |
[38:48] | not guilty. | 罪名不成立 |
[38:55] | The jury is dismissed! | 陪审团解散 |
[38:58] | We’re adjourned! | 休庭 |
[39:05] | Mr Shore! | Shore先生 |
[39:05] | Comment, please? | 请给点评论 |
[39:11] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:18] | Paul, congratulations. | Paul 祝贺你 |
[39:19] | Boo! Boo! | |
[39:35] | I don’t know what to say. | 我不知道说什么好 |
[39:36] | You owe me a lot of beer. | 你欠我很多啤酒 |
[40:01] | I just have two questions for you. | 我有两个问题问你 |
[40:03] | Okay. | 说吧 |
[40:06] | Who do you think killed her really? | 你觉得是谁杀了她? |
[40:08] | How in God’s name would I know? | 天知道是谁 |
[40:11] | It wasn’t me. | 反正不是我 |
[40:13] | Did you really love my mother? | 你真的爱过我妈? |
[40:17] | I did. | 是的 |
[40:19] | That stuff about her being romantically in love with me, is any of that¡? | 关于她爱上我了那事 有没有… |
[40:23] | Trial strategy. | 法庭上的伎俩 |
[40:34] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[40:38] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[40:41] | I got a great idea. | 我有个好主意 |
[40:44] | When’s the last time you smoked pot? | 上次你抽大麻是什么时候 |
[40:47] | Wow. Hm. | |
[40:48] | Depending on the integrity of the container. | 得看看那容器上 是否忠实记录下了痕迹 |
[40:52] | What are you doing? | 你要干嘛? |
[40:53] | Our secret panel to the tree trunk. | 树干里我们的秘密据点 |
[40:59] | I put some good Columbian down there years ago. | 三年前我放了些 上好的哥伦比亚大麻下去 |
[41:07] | It’s nailed. | 被钉住了 |
[41:09] | When’d it get nailed? | 什么时候被钉住的? |
[41:12] | I don’t know. It looks like an old nail. | 不知道 看起来是很早以前了 |
[41:14] | I don’t know how you can see in this light whether¡? | 这种光线下你怎么会看得到… |
[41:32] | Paul if I were to shine a light down the tree trunk what might I see? | Paul 如果我把树干里照亮 会看见什么? |
[41:41] | I don’t wanna look down the tree trunk do I, Paul? | 我不该往下看 对吧 Paul? |
[41:45] | No. You don’t. | 对 你别看 |
[41:53] | I really loved her, you know? | 我真的爱她 你知道吗? |
[41:57] | She didn’t¡ | 而她却… |
[42:07] | I really loved her. | 我真的爱她 |