| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:00] | previously on The Practice | |
| [00:01] | ??? | 你们有人看到Tara了吗 | 
| [00:02] | she??? | 她去见一个客户了 可能今天都回不来 | 
| [00:03] | i need??? | 我现在就需要一个打字员 Alan | 
| [00:05] | i’m sure??? | 我肯定Jimmy来做就行了 | 
| [00:07] | what?? -????,noy just you | – 你说什么? – Tara是事务所雇来的 不是你的私人秘书 | 
| [00:10] | forgive?? | 不好意思 不过我刚为事务所带来75万的收益 | 
| [00:14] | on top???that | 之前有200万 再之前还有300万 | 
| [00:18] | ??parter | 这家伙把自己当合伙人一样独占我们的职员 | 
| [00:21] | which?? | 事实上他根本就不是 | 
| [00:23] | and i’m???guy | 我受够了 我也受够你总是为他找借口了 | 
| [00:26] | you ??pictures | 你在一个旅馆的房间安装监视器 以获得非法的私人照片 | 
| [00:29] | you??? | 随后以其进行敲诈 | 
| [00:32] | you ???law | 你的行为完全不合乎于法律 | 
| [00:35] | i??word | 我向你保证过 | 
| [00:37] | that??? | 我宁可自己完蛋 也不会拖累你们的 我是认真的 | 
| [00:40] | ???with you? | 你自己正一步步走向灭亡 同时还把我们一起拖下水 | 
| [00:44] | interesting?? | 你是一个非常让人感兴趣的女子 | 
| [00:46] | if you?? | 如果你想去一个好餐厅 共进美酒 | 
| [00:50] | but you don’t want that | 可你并不愿如此 | 
| [00:51] | you want?? | 你想要在会议桌上做 因为这样很下贱 | 
| [00:55] | gets??? | 让别人帮帮你吧 然后再约我出去吃饭 | 
| [00:58] | alan?? | 我实在是不明白 Eleanor | 
| [01:00] | i??man | 我在那个人身上完全看不到优点 | 
| [01:02] | yeah,?? | 你需要去了解他之后才能发现 | 
| [01:04] | listen to me ,alan | 听我说 Alan | 
| [01:05] | i’m tired?? | 我听够了 你的话无趣之极 | 
| [01:07] | i?? | 我不会再给你添麻烦 你也别挡我的路 | 
| [01:12] | he??? | – 他得走人 | 
| [01:13] | ?? -?? | 案子结束以后 他就走人 | 
| [01:27] | Oh God, help me! | 哦 天哪 救救我! | 
| [01:29] | – Hang in there! – It hurts! | – 挺住! – 好疼! | 
| [01:30] | – You’re doing great, Honey. -It hurts! | – 你做得很好 亲爱的 – 好疼! | 
| [01:31] | -You’re doing great. -It hurts. | – 就这样 你行的 – 真的很疼 | 
| [01:33] | Where’s the doctor? | 医生在哪里? | 
| [01:34] | He’s in with another patient. He’ll be right in. | 他还有一个病人 马上就过来 | 
| [01:35] | – Please get him! – How we doing? | – 麻烦请他快过来! – 情况如何? | 
| [01:37] | -oh,god – Still dilated to six centimeters. -You get a heart rate? | – 谢天谢地 – 宫口张开六厘米 – 测过心率没有? | 
| [01:40] | – Stable. In the one-forties. – Please do something. | – 很稳定 140左右 – 做点什么吧 | 
| [01:42] | Mary! Let’s retest for protein. | Mary! 重新测量一下蛋白质含量 | 
| [01:44] | Mary, you’ve only been here an hour. | Mary 你刚到这里一个小时 | 
| [01:46] | – It takes time. – It hurts. | – 还需要点时间 – 很疼呀 | 
| [01:47] | Well, I can start you an epidural, but I think it’s a little late for that. | 我可以给你点止疼的东西 不过现在可能有点晚了 | 
| [01:49] | ??? heart rates dropped! | 等等 心率下降了! | 
| [01:51] | – Oh my God! A rupture! – Hurry! | – 天哪! 血崩! – 赶快! | 
| [01:54] | Get a bag! We need two¡ Get her on her side! | 去拿氧气袋! 要两个… 把她翻过来! | 
| [01:55] | – Lay back! She’s cresting! – Get her into the OR now! | – 让她平躺! 她快不行了! – 快把她送进手术室! | 
| [01:57] | Mary? – Okay! We’re disconnected? | – 好的! 分开了吗? | 
| [01:58] | – Mary? I need you to stay with me now. – That’s it. Let’s roll. | – Mary? 保持清醒 – 就这样 走吧 | 
| [02:00] | – I need you to stay with me. – Are we ready? Let’s move. | – 保持清醒 – 准备好了吗? 开始吧 | 
| [02:02] | – Mary? I need you to stay with me. – All in the OR to prep for C-Section. | – Mary? 一定要保持清醒 – 全体手术人员准备剖腹产 | 
| [02:05] | Stay with me, Mary. Stay with me now!Stay with me! | 保持清醒 Mary. 保持清醒!保持清醒! | 
| [02:07] | Here we go. Come on, Mary. Hang in there. | 开始了 加油 Mary 顶住 | 
| [02:10] | Go! Go! Let’s go! Move! | 快走!快走! | 
| [02:12] | Stay with me. | “保持清醒” | 
| [02:14] | That’s what he said. | 他就说了这些 | 
| [02:16] | The nurse pushed me out of the room. So¡ | 护士把我推出了房间 所以… | 
| [02:18] | I waited in the hallway. Praying. | 我只好在走廊上一边等一边祈祷 | 
| [02:21] | Can you tell us what happened next? | 可以说一下接下来的事情吗? | 
| [02:23] | The doctor finally came out. | 医生终于出来了 | 
| [02:26] | Said my daughter was okay, but.. | 告诉我女儿很平安 可是.. | 
| [02:28] | Mary didn’t make it. | Mary 没有挺过去 | 
| [02:31] | She died on the operating table. | 她死在了手术台上 | 
| [02:34] | Tom. When you first arrived at the hospital¡? | 你刚到医院的时候…? | 
| [02:37] | She was in severe pain. | 她承受着巨大的疼痛 | 
| [02:39] | We told them. | 我们告诉过他们了 | 
| [02:42] | They just put us in a room. | 他们只是让我们等在房间里 | 
| [02:44] | – They didn’t do any tests? – Yes, some. | – 他们没有做过任何的检查吗? – 做了 做了一些 | 
| [02:47] | But they just said it’s labor pain. | 不过他们说这只是正常的阵痛 | 
| [02:49] | Which Mary knew was wrong. | 可是Mary知道不是这么回事 | 
| [02:51] | She kept telling them. | 她一直这样告诉他们 | 
| [02:54] | They just dismissed it. | 他们却只是当作耳旁风 | 
| [02:56] | Did your wife see a doctor during her pregnancy? Or receive any kind of prenatal examination? | 你的妻子在怀孕期间去看过医生吗? 或者接受过任何产前检查吗? | 
| [03:01] | We couldn’t afford it. | 我们承担不起这个费用 | 
| [03:02] | – I was an unemployed musician at the time¡ – Did you have health insurance? | – 我是个音乐家 当时正处于失业中… – 你们有医疗保险吗? | 
| [03:06] | No. | 没有 | 
| [03:07] | – So she never knew that she had an abnormal uterus? – No. | – 那么她从来也不知道她的子宫异常? – 不 | 
| [03:12] | And when you arrived at the hospital you told them that your wife was in labor? | 那么当你们到达医院的时候 你告诉他们你的妻子快生了? | 
| [03:16] | – Yes? – You didn’t suspect that anything was wrong? | – 是呀? – 你没有怀疑其他的问题? | 
| [03:19] | At the time, I thought it was just a painful labor. | 那个时候 我只是以为她的阵痛比较厉害一点 | 
| [03:22] | Clearly, it was not just that. | 很明显 这不是那么简单 | 
| [03:24] | I understand. Thank you. I’m all done. | 我明白了 谢谢了 我问完了 | 
| [03:26] | Except to say that¡ | 另外说一句… | 
| [03:28] | we’re all so¡ | 我们非常… | 
| [03:30] | so sorry about what happeded. | 对发生的事情表示非常遗憾 | 
| [03:35] | May I respond to that? | 我可以就此说些话吗? | 
| [03:38] | There’s no question before you, Sir. | 先生 我没有问你问题呀 | 
| [03:40] | I’d like to respond to his statement that he’s sorry. | 我希望能对他的遗憾作出回应 | 
| [03:43] | I sat through four depositions, | 我出席过四次听证会 | 
| [03:45] | and never once did this attorney should any remorse, contrition. | 这位律师一次也没有表现出负疚或者悔意 | 
| [03:49] | – Move to strike! – But in front of the jury! He’s suddenly compassionate! | – 请求撤销记录! – 可是在陪审团的面前!他突然如此悲天悯人! | 
| [03:52] | Okay, Mr Quillen, you’ve made your point. | 好的 Quillen先生 你的观点很明白了 | 
| [03:55] | You’re angry at me? | 你对我很生气? | 
| [03:57] | Yes, I am. | 是的 | 
| [03:58] | I’m informed that after your wife died, you stopped going to church. | 我被告知 当你妻子去世以后 你就不再去教堂了 | 
| [04:02] | According to several of your friends, you’re angry at God. Is that fair? | 据你的几个朋友说 你也很生上帝的气 可以这么说吗? | 
| [04:06] | Maybe. | 或许 | 
| [04:07] | So you’re angry at the doctor, you’re angry at me. Even angry at God. | 那么你生医生的气 你生我的气 你甚至生上帝的气 | 
| [04:11] | Given that you never got your wife any prenatal care whatsoever, | 鉴于你完全没有让你的妻子接受 任何的产前检查或类似检查 | 
| [04:14] | when a simple checkup perhaps could have saved her life! | 而或许一个最简单的检查就可以保住她的命! | 
| [04:17] | Are you at all angry with yourself? | 你对自己就一点也不生气呢? | 
| [04:24] | The Practice s8e16 | |
| [04:29] | The Practice s8e16 | |
| [05:06] | This feels uncomfortable. | 这实在是让人很不舒服 | 
| [05:08] | Eugene. If you’re about to fire somebody, you have to meet with a labor lawyer. | Eugene. 如果你打算解雇莫人的话 你必须要和劳务律师谈一谈 | 
| [05:13] | It would be corporate negligence for you, not to do so. | 否则即是法人疏忽 | 
| [05:16] | Yeah. Even so. | 即便如此 我也要这样做 | 
| [05:19] | Is this an administrative employee? | 他是一名行政人员吗? | 
| [05:22] | No! He’s an associate who acts like a partner. | 不! 他是个受聘律师 可是老是把自己当成合伙人 | 
| [05:25] | Which is part of the problem. | 这也是问题之一 | 
| [05:28] | What are the grounds? | 解聘原因呢? | 
| [05:29] | Well, where do I start? | 从哪里开始说好呢? | 
| [05:31] | He’s unethical. Insubordinate. | 他毫无职业道德 不服从管理 | 
| [05:33] | He sexually harasses. He’s even committed criminal acts. | 经常对他人进行性骚扰 他甚至有过犯罪行为 | 
| [05:38] | The problem is, he’s also brought in a lot of money. | 问题是 他同时也为事务所带来了可观的收入 | 
| [05:42] | So, he may try to claim that he’s a defacto partner. | 所以他或许会辨称 他是事实合伙人 | 
| [05:45] | When you say a lot of money? | 你说有一大笔收入? | 
| [05:48] | For the last six months, more than all the other lawyers. | 过去六个月内 超过所以其他的律师 | 
| [05:53] | Combined. | 带来收入的总和 | 
| [05:56] | You may have a problem. | 那问题就复杂了 | 
| [06:04] | During the course of labor, her uterus ruptured. | 阵痛期间 她出现了血崩 | 
| [06:07] | Which ultimately was the cause of death. | 最终导致她的死亡 | 
| [06:09] | – She bled to death? – Yes. | – 她失血过多而死? – 是的 | 
| [06:11] | In your opinion, Doctor. | 就你看来 医生 | 
| [06:13] | Could Dr Platt have prevented Mary Quillen’s death? | Platt医生是否有可能避免这起惨剧的发生呢? | 
| [06:16] | Could have, and should have. | 有可能 也应当 | 
| [06:18] | She was in severe pain, she wasn’t dilating. | 她异常的疼痛 宫口也不再扩张 | 
| [06:21] | A C-section was indicated, and he failed to perform one. | 此时就应当进行剖腹产 可他却没有这么做 | 
| [06:25] | This death was easily preventable. | 这起死亡事故应该很轻易就能避免 | 
| [06:28] | The autopsy showed that Mrs Quillen had an abnormally small uterus which might have caused it to rupture? | 验尸报告显示 Quillen女士的子宫 比常人要小 有可能导致血崩? | 
| [06:34] | Correct. | 正确 | 
| [06:35] | But Dr Platt had no way of knowing this? Did he? | 可是Platt医生无从得知这点 是吗? | 
| [06:38] | Mrs Quillen never had a prenatal exam. | Quillen女士从来没有接受过产前检查 | 
| [06:40] | Many women don’t have prenatal exams. | 许多妇女不进行产前检查 | 
| [06:43] | Doctors still manage to give them adequate care. Your client didn’t. | 医生们仍然可以设法使她们得到合适的治疗 而你的当事人却没有 | 
| [06:46] | I see. Were you in the delivery room that night, Doctor? | 知道了 那晚你在产房吗 医生? | 
| [06:49] | No, but your client admits the patient was in labor for an hour, | 没有 可是你的当事人承认该病人 阵痛达到了一小时 | 
| [06:53] | he saw her suffering severe upper abdominal pain, | 他注意到她正经受严重的上腹部疼痛 | 
| [06:56] | he knew her contractions had stopped. | 他也知道她的子宫不再收缩 | 
| [06:59] | He had more than enough information to do an immediate C-section, and failing to do so¡ | 他有完全足够的信息 表示他必须实施剖腹手术 而他却没有这么做… | 
| [07:03] | Have you been paid by the plaintiff to give your opinion today? | 今天你在这里提供意见 原告给过你钱吗? | 
| [07:08] | My opinion is not for sale, Counsel. | 我的意见是不会待价而沽的 律师 | 
| [07:10] | It’s based on the facts presented to me. | 我完全是基于所知的事实而作出的判断 | 
| [07:13] | But a lot of those facts were not available to my client that night in the ER, were they, Doctor? | 可是其中的许多事实在当晚的急诊室中 我的当事人却无从得知 是这样的吗 医生? | 
| [07:16] | – Perhaps not. Even so¡ – Thank you. | – 或许是这样 可是即便如此… – 谢谢你 | 
| [07:18] | And though your opinions aren’t for sale, how much are you being paid for today’s court appearance? | 即便你的意见是不会待价而沽的 你今天在法庭上出席收到多少钱呢? | 
| [07:24] | Three thousand dollars. | 三千美元 | 
| [07:25] | – And how many times have you testified in medical malpractice? – Objection! This is irrelevant! | – 而你又为多少起医疗纠纷做过证? – 反对! 与本案无关! | 
| [07:33] | Your Honor? | 法官大人? | 
| [07:53] | Now what? | 现在怎么办? | 
| [07:54] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 | 
| [07:56] | If he’s okay, it could just be a delay. | 如果他没事的话 只会延期审理 | 
| [07:58] | If he’s not, we could get a mistrial. | 否则的话 此次审理就无效了 | 
| [08:01] | Which means¡? | 这意味着…? | 
| [08:03] | We might have to start all over again. | 我们可能就要从头来过了 | 
| [08:10] | The earliest I could possibly get out is seven. | 我最早也要7点才能走 | 
| [08:13] | And probably close¡ | 可能会快… | 
| [08:14] | Where you going at seven? | 你7点钟的时候要去哪里? | 
| [08:16] | One second. | 稍等 | 
| [08:18] | – Should I come? – This is personal. | – 我该一起来吗? – 是私事 | 
| [08:20] | – Man trouble? – Do you mind? | – 情感问题? – 你能别烦我吗? | 
| [08:22] | Tara. If it is a man, I could be of tremendous help. | Tara 如果那是个男人的话 我可以帮上很大的忙 | 
| [08:25] | In a prior life I was Cyrano DeBergiac. | 我上辈子的时候是“大鼻子情圣” | 
| [08:27] | Well, I’ll keep that in mind. | 好吧 我会记住的 | 
| [08:29] | To whom am I talking? | 你是哪位? | 
| [08:32] | – This Tara’s uncle from the more disturbing branch of the family. – Stop it! | – 我是 Tara的叔叔 我们那一支的都挺烦人 – 别这样! | 
| [08:35] | – Have you two been kissing? -Alan! | – 你们两个亲过没? | 
| [08:40] | Go to the corner and sit! | 到角落里呆着去! | 
| [08:42] | I’m just tryin to help. | 我只是想帮帮忙 | 
| [08:50] | The advice is don’t tell Eleanor. | 建议你不要告诉 Eleanor | 
| [08:53] | She’s a partner. | 她是合伙人呀 | 
| [08:54] | She’s also his friend, and she’ll tell him. | 可她同时也是他的朋友 她肯定会告诉他的 | 
| [08:56] | Now, if he takes clients or files? Then what? | 如果他把客户和资料都带走了? 那怎么办? | 
| [09:02] | So? | 那么? | 
| [09:04] | How does this go down? | 这事儿怎么进行? | 
| [09:05] | Well, as we firm him, | 我们解雇他的同时 | 
| [09:07] | we send out prewritten letters by registered mail to all our clients, | 我们以挂号信的形式给所有的客户 寄去事先写好的通知书 | 
| [09:10] | explaining the split, inviting them to stay with us. | 告诉他们我们分开了 并希望他们保持和我们的合作 | 
| [09:14] | We also have a locksmith on standby to change the locks. | 同时我们还有一个锁匠 做好了随时换锁的准备 | 
| [09:16] | We change the passwords on the computers. | 电脑的密码也要更换掉 | 
| [09:19] | All of this has to happen as we fire him, not a minute before. | 所有的这一切都要在我们解雇他的同时进行 一刻也不能提前 | 
| [09:22] | Because if we jump the gun, he can paint it as bad faith. | 因为如果我们提前行动了 他会把我们说成是早就心怀不轨 | 
| [09:26] | As opposed to being on the up and up? | 而不是光明正大? | 
| [09:29] | It’s a dirty business, Jimmy. | 这事情确实不够光彩 Jimmy | 
| [09:31] | But according to Labor Counsel, | 不过据劳务律师所说 | 
| [09:32] | it’s the only way we can do it. | 这是唯一可行的办法 | 
| [09:38] | I need two votes. You with me? | 我需要两张赞成票 你站我这边吗? | 
| [09:54] | The good news is Judge Zeldin is okay. | 好消息是Zeldin法官没有大碍 | 
| [09:56] | The bad news is, Doctors have prescribed bed rest. | 坏消息是 医生要求他卧床静养 | 
| [09:59] | He can’t continue. | 他不能继续庭审了 | 
| [10:01] | – So? – I’ll take over. | – 那么? – 我由此接手 | 
| [10:03] | His clerk has brought me up to speed. | 他的助理已经将情况向我汇报过了 | 
| [10:07] | Do you think that’s wise? | 你觉得这样做明智吗? | 
| [10:09] | Why isn’t it? You’ve expended two court days already. | 为什么不呢? 你们已经进行了两天的庭审 | 
| [10:12] | It certainly makes sense to keep going if possible. | 如果许可的话还是应该继续下去 | 
| [10:14] | Nobody’s been prejudiced. | |
| [10:19] | We have a little problem. | 我们有个小麻烦了 | 
| [10:24] | You remember we told you about the Massachusetts Charitable Immunity Act? | 你记得我和你说过的麻省慈善豁免法令吗? | 
| [10:28] | Limiting damages in medical malpractice cases? | 限制医疗事故中的赔偿额度? | 
| [10:31] | You said Judges sometimes strike it. | 你说法官有时会对其不予理会 | 
| [10:33] | I did. And Judge Zeldin was one such judge. | 是的 Zeldin 法官就是其中的一个 | 
| [10:37] | Judge Mantle is not. He seems to honor the cap. | 而 Mantle 法官则不是 他会遵从此封顶规则 | 
| [10:40] | So¡? | 那么…? | 
| [10:43] | The most money we could get here, | 我们从这里所能争取的赔偿 | 
| [10:46] | is now twenty thousand dollars. | 最高不超过两万美元 | 
| [10:49] | What I think we should do is try to settle it for that. | 所以我认为我们应该按照这个数字 考虑庭外和解 | 
| [10:53] | – No. – Tom¡ | – 不 | 
| [10:55] | I will not settle my wife’s life for twenty thousand dollars. | 我妻子的命绝对不只两万美元 | 
| [10:58] | I’d rather take the moral victory of a big verdict! Than walk away for¡ | 我宁愿由陪审团的裁定宣告道德上的胜利! 也不愿意就… | 
| [11:04] | Tom, I cannot, in good conscience, | Tom 凭良心说 | 
| [11:07] | expend thousands of dollars on expert witnesses. And expend our time¡! | 我不能花好几千在专家证词上 以及花费我们的时间…! | 
| [11:11] | I didn’t get a doctor because I’m poor. | 我没有医生 是因为我没钱 | 
| [11:14] | Now, you’re saying I don’t get a lawyer? | 现在你告诉我我连律师也没了? | 
| [11:15] | That’s not fair. | 这么说实在是不公平 | 
| [11:17] | We have put in hundreds of hours on this case. | 我们在这个案子上已经投入了数百个小时 | 
| [11:20] | Then why quit now? In the middle of trial? | 那为什么现在要退出呢? 在庭审期间? | 
| [11:22] | Because, as I said, this Judge¡ | 因为 我说过 这个法官… | 
| [11:24] | I want a verdict. | 我希望得到一个判决 | 
| [11:27] | I want the jury sending these people a message. | 我希望陪审团给这些人一个警告 | 
| [11:30] | These people, in this case, is an insurance company. | 所谓的这些人 在这个案子里 就是保险公司 | 
| [11:34] | The only message they’re equipped to receive is numerical. | 他们只会负担金额赔偿 | 
| [11:37] | And they are immune on this. | 他们对责任拥有豁免权 | 
| [11:43] | If you want us to keep going, | 如果你希望我们继续下去 | 
| [11:45] | we will. | 我们会的 | 
| [11:52] | Why? | 为什么? | 
| [11:53] | – Because he hired us, Eugene! – To win a judgment that now you cannot get? | – 因为他雇佣了我们 Eugene! – 去获得一个你们现在无法实现的裁决? | 
| [11:56] | The Judge is fair, and I¡ | 这个法官很公正的 而我… | 
| [11:58] | She’s a partner billing out at four hundred an hour. You bill out at two-fifty. This case could take a week. | 她是一个小时收费400元的合伙人 你一小时收250元 这个案子可能会持续一周 | 
| [12:02] | Pay no attention to him, Jamie. Good for you! | 别理他 Jamie 你这么做是对的! | 
| [12:08] | I feel the mean man glaring at me. | 我感觉到这个坏家伙正盯着我呢 | 
| [12:11] | This doesn’t concern you. | 此事与你无关 | 
| [12:12] | Oh, but it does, Eugene. I can tell her how to win. | 当然有关 Eugene. 我可以告诉他如何获胜 | 
| [12:15] | How? | 如何? | 
| [12:17] | I know Judge Mantle. He’s a man given to compassion. | 我了解 Mantle 法官 他听从于他的怜悯之心 | 
| [12:19] | Better yet, politics. If you shock his conscience, | 尤其是有政治收益的时候 如果你能唤起他的良知 | 
| [12:22] | get some media down there to shed some light on that conscience, | 同时召集一些媒体过去 让他们的闪光灯照亮他良心 | 
| [12:26] | out of the goodness of both heart and career, he’ll probably do the right thing. | 为了他的良知以及仕途 他或许会做出正确的决定 | 
| [12:30] | I have a reporter from WXDE, | 我认识一个WXDE的记者 | 
| [12:35] | she owes me a favor. It’s biblical. | 她欠我一个人情 床第间的 | 
| [12:37] | But I’m sure she’d be thrilled to compromise herself professionally instead. | 不过我相信她会在公事中得到满足的 | 
| [12:41] | Go! Tell your story, Jamie. | 去吧! 说出你的心声 Jamie | 
| [12:42] | The cap is wrong! | 封顶是错误的! | 
| [12:44] | The woman died having a baby for God’s sake. | 这个女人为了诞出一个新的生命而死去 | 
| [12:46] | The man deserves more than twenty thousand. Be an advocate! Fix the problem! | 丈夫应该获得远不止两万美元的赔偿 像一个好律师一般去捍卫正义吧! | 
| [12:50] | Go team, go! Rah! | 加油 团队! 乌拉! | 
| [12:55] | – Tara? – Jimmy? | |
| [12:56] | In my office, please. | 来我办公室 | 
| [13:00] | I feel like coffee and a croissant. Shall we? | 我想喝杯咖啡 吃个羊角面包 一起去吧? | 
| [13:18] | This is confidential information. | 这是一个机密信息 | 
| [13:21] | There’s a partner matter. | 合伙人该处理的问题 | 
| [13:22] | You are not to share this information with anybody other than Jimmy and me. | 除了Jimmy 和我以外 你不可以向第三者透露 | 
| [13:27] | Clear? | 明白吗? | 
| [13:29] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [13:30] | We need to have all the computer passwords changed by Thursday noon. | 我们需要在周四中午之前 变更所有电脑的密码 | 
| [13:34] | The new password, which I will give you, | 新的密码我会给你 | 
| [13:37] | you will not divulge to anyone. | 不可以让其他任何人知道 | 
| [13:40] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [13:41] | You will also get a letter prepared by a Labor Counsel, | 同时你也会收到劳务律师的一封信 | 
| [13:43] | which letter you are to type on our stationary | 你在这里把它打出来 | 
| [13:46] | and prepare to send my registered mail to all our clients. | 并准备以我的名义寄给所有的客户 | 
| [13:49] | This too, by Thursday, noon. | 这也要在周四中午前完成 | 
| [13:53] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [13:57] | This is extremely confidential. | 此事高度机密 | 
| [14:01] | I will trust you to respect that confidence. | 我希望你能保密 | 
| [14:06] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [14:09] | That’s all. | 就这样 | 
| [14:19] | Gee! I hope she doesn’t suspect anything. | 天! 希望她可别胡思乱想 | 
| [14:22] | Well, we can’t do it without her. | 没她我们作不了这事儿 | 
| [14:28] | We’re a charity hospital. Of course money’s a problem! | 我们是慈善医院 资金方面当然会有问题! | 
| [14:32] | But it never affects the quality of our care. | 不过它绝对不会影响我们的医疗质量 | 
| [14:35] | C-sections are about twice as expensive as natural child-birth. | 剖腹产的费用是正常自然分娩的两倍 | 
| [14:39] | – Is that accurate? – Yes. But¡ | – 是这样的吗? – 是 可是… | 
| [14:41] | And who pays the additional costs? | 谁来支付额外的费用? | 
| [14:43] | Typically, the insurance company. | 通常来说 是保险公司 | 
| [14:44] | If the patient has insurance. What if she doesn’t? | 这是基于病人有保险的情况 如果她没有呢? | 
| [14:47] | Then the hospital would pay. | 那么就由医院支付 | 
| [14:49] | But that’s not why we encourage natural birth. | 不过这不是我们鼓励自然分娩的原因 | 
| [14:52] | It’s safer, the recovery time is shorter, | 而是这样更安全 恢复期也短 | 
| [14:54] | and frankly too many doctors perform unnecessary C-sections. | 老实说 实施不必要剖腹产的医生过于多了 | 
| [14:58] | But at St Theresa’s, women without health insurance are five times | 不过在圣特雷莎医院 没有保险的产妇进行剖腹产的人数 | 
| [15:02] | less likely to have a Csection than women with insurance. So¡? | 只有有保险产妇的五分之一 那么…? | 
| [15:06] | That’s true of most charity hospitals. | 在大多数的慈善医院这都是这样 | 
| [15:08] | That’s your excuse? They all do it? | 这就是你的借口? 大家都这么做? | 
| [15:10] | We’re not forcing poor women to have dangerous births! | 我们不强迫贫穷的产妇进行危险的分娩! | 
| [15:13] | And I take offense when you¡! | 而我深感冒犯…! | 
| [15:14] | How many women, able to pay for a C-section have ever been refused one? | 那又有多少能够支付剖腹产的产妇 被拒绝进行剖腹产呢? | 
| [15:18] | I’m not certain. | 我不确定 | 
| [15:19] | None! The only women refused are impoverished. | 一个也没有! 被拒绝的产妇都是没有钱的 | 
| [15:23] | – Poverty has nothing to do with this! – Poverty is what killed Mary! | – 贫困与此毫无关系! – 贫困就是害死Mary的凶手! | 
| [15:26] | – That’s a lie! – Objection! Argumentative! | – 你说谎! – 反对! 论争! | 
| [15:28] | Sustained. | 有效 | 
| [15:29] | True or false, Doctor? | 你只需回答正确还是错误 医生? | 
| [15:31] | If Mary Quillen had the money to pay for a C-section | 如果Mary Quillen有能力支付剖腹产的话 | 
| [15:34] | she would still be alive today. | 现在她还能活着 | 
| [15:35] | False! That is false!! | 错误! 不是这样的!! | 
| [15:40] | Most women wanna give birth naturally. Do they not? | 大多数的妇女希望自然分娩 是吗? | 
| [15:44] | Absolutely! | 绝对的! | 
| [15:45] | In fact the movement to encourage natural childbirth is very much a feminist issue. | 事实上 提倡自然分娩是女权进步 的一大特征 | 
| [15:50] | Has St Theresa’s policy of reducing C-sections been reviewed by the States Medical Board? | 圣特雷莎医院关于削减剖腹产的政策 是否经过州医务署的审核? | 
| [15:54] | Yes. Our policy has been approved as safe and appropriate. | 是的 我们的政策被认为是安全而合理的 | 
| [15:58] | Has your hospital, or Dr Plattever been disciplined | 你的医院或Plattever医生有否因此事 | 
| [16:01] | by the State Medical Board for what happened here? | 被州医务署处罚? | 
| [16:04] | No. Because as terrible as this outcome was, | 没有 因为尽管此事结果十分严重 | 
| [16:08] | we did nothing wrong. | 我们并没有做错什么 | 
| [16:15] | Did nothing wrong? | 没有做错什么? | 
| [16:16] | How many affluent women die delivering babies? | 有多少富裕的产妇死于分娩? | 
| [16:20] | Even the ones that do, at least the hospital tries to save them. | 即便是那些死了的 医院还是尽一切可能抢救过她们 | 
| [16:24] | But, you know? | 不过 知道吗? | 
| [16:25] | – That’s not really the point. – What is? | – 这其实不是重点 – 那么什么是? | 
| [16:28] | Doctors and hospitals make mistakes. | 医生和医院犯了错误 | 
| [16:30] | Mistakes happen. | 错误是不可避免的 | 
| [16:33] | But to shield them from liability? | 可是保护他们免于承担躲避责任? | 
| [16:36] | I am all for Tort reform. | 我完全支持民事侵权法的改革 | 
| [16:38] | But to put a twenty thousand dollar cap on a wrongful death is just wrong. | 可是给于事故死亡两万美元的封顶赔偿 这是完全错误的 | 
| [16:43] | Most States wouldn’t even consider this. | 大多数的州根本就不会考虑此事 | 
| [16:46] | And Massachusetts shouldn’t either. | 麻省也不应如此 | 
| [16:48] | John Kerry can’t possibly support this. | John Kerry 决不会支持的 | 
| [16:51] | Ted Kennedy, I know, doesn’t. | Ted Kennedy 我知道 也不会的 (以上两人均为出生于麻省的民主党国会议员) | 
| [16:54] | I am hopeful that Judge Mantle will reject this as well. | 我相信Mantle法官也会反对这项法案 | 
| [17:00] | That was a cheap shot Ms Stringer! | 那真是一个卑鄙的把戏 Stringer小姐! | 
| [17:01] | I would think you’d have the integrity to at least try this case in the courtroom! | 我本以为你的自尊会让你希望 将战斗留在法庭之内! | 
| [17:05] | Is that why you asked for this meeting? | 你约我过来就是这个原因? | 
| [17:07] | To lecture me? | 给我讲大道理? | 
| [17:08] | You’ll be lucky if you don’t get censored by the bar. | 如果律师协会不审核你的话 那就算你走了大运了 | 
| [17:10] | But that’s not why I called for the meeting. | 不过这不是我召开这个会议的原因 | 
| [17:18] | Against my advice, | 尽管我极力反对 | 
| [17:20] | the client is prepared to offer you a hundred thousand dollars. Sealed. No admission. | 我的当事人愿意提供10万美元的赔偿金 不对外公开 不承担责任 | 
| [17:29] | First of all. A woman died. | 首先 一个产妇死了 | 
| [17:32] | – One hundred thousand¡ – Is eighty more than you’d otherwise get under the cap. | – 10万块… – 否则 因为封顶 你们能拿到的会少8万 | 
| [17:35] | Then why would the hospital offer it? | 那么为什么医院会提出来呢? | 
| [17:37] | The hospital didn’t. I’m making the offer. | 医院没有 我提出来的 | 
| [17:41] | – Outta your own pocket? – Yes. And I’ll tell you why. | – 你自己的钱? – 是的 我告诉你为什么 | 
| [17:43] | – Robert¡ – No! Let’s just deal straight! | – 不! 让我们明说了吧! | 
| [17:45] | Does that violate some attorney code of conduct? | 这也违反律师守则吗? | 
| [17:48] | If I lose here, cap or not, | 如果我败诉了 不管封不封顶 | 
| [17:50] | my insurance carrier will drop me. | 我的保险都没了 | 
| [17:52] | They do it OBGYN’s all the time; they will do it to me. | 他们对妇产科医师向来如此 我也不会例外 | 
| [17:55] | – You’ve said enough. – You represent the hospital and the insurance company, Brian! | – 你说的够多的了 – 你是医院和保险公司的代理 Brian! | 
| [17:58] | Nobody’s really speaking for me here! I’d like to! | 没人是真正为我着想的! 我就愿意了! | 
| [18:02] | I have never been found, | 一直以来 没有任何 | 
| [18:04] | by any medical review board, to have committed any malpractice. Ever! | 没有任何医务组织认定我玩忽职守 从来没有! | 
| [18:08] | -And yet, I’ve been sued seven times. – Bob! | – 即便如此 我还是被起诉过7次 | 
| [18:10] | We’re getting sued out of business! And¡ | 我们被告得都快失业了! 可是… | 
| [18:17] | believe it or not? I am not in this profession for the money. | 随便你们信不信? 我不是为了钱选择这份职业的 | 
| [18:22] | I’m a doctor, ah, a pretty damn good one. | 我是一个医生 还是一个很出色的医生 | 
| [18:25] | My father was an OBGYN, it’s all I ever wanted to be. | 我父亲就是一个妇产科医生 这是我一直以来也是唯一的愿望 | 
| [18:30] | If you win in court, the most you can get is twenty. | 即便你们在法庭上赢了 最多不过能拿到两万 | 
| [18:36] | I’m offering you a hundred. | 我愿意给你们10万 | 
| [18:38] | – And I’m not taking it. – Okay, Tom¡ let’s¡ | – 我不接受 – 好了 Tom… 让我们… | 
| [18:40] | – You killed my wife! – No! | – 你害死了我的妻子! – 不是的! | 
| [18:41] | – You contributed to that by not getting her prenatal care! – All right! That’s enough! | – 不带她去做产前检查 你也有责任! – 好了! 都别说了! | 
| [18:43] | – We’re done here! – I’m not the one who¡! | – 我们到此为止! – 我不是那个…! | 
| [18:45] | Hey! | 嘿! | 
| [18:52] | The offer is rejected. | 我们不接受你的提议 | 
| [18:54] | Let’s go. | 走吧 | 
| [18:55] | I’m offering you every penny I have. | 这是我所有的钱了 | 
| [18:59] | And it’s not enough. | 这还不够 | 
| [19:07] | The offer is rejected. | 我们不接受你的提议 | 
| [19:32] | Working kind of late? | 工作得挺晚呀? | 
| [19:34] | Oh no. I’m just pretending so as to impress | 不是 我只是假装这样 | 
| [19:37] | and inspire my officemates. | 希望让同事对我另眼相看 同时也给他们一个激励 | 
| [19:52] | Eugene’s hired a Labor Law firm for something. | Eugene为了某事雇了一个劳务法律公司 | 
| [19:56] | All the computer passwords are being changed. | 马上所有的电脑密码也会被更改 | 
| [20:02] | It looks like someone’s getting fired. | 看起来有人会被解雇 | 
| [20:14] | I’m sure it’s nothing. | 肯定没事儿的 | 
| [20:27] | Tara? | |
| [20:31] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 | 
| [20:56] | I’m all for Tort reform. | 我完全支持民事侵权法的改革 | 
| [20:58] | But to put a twenty thousand dollar cap on a wrongful death is just wrong¡ | 可是给于事故死亡两万美元的封顶赔偿 这是完全错误的… | 
| [21:00] | It’s getting play. I guess that’s good. | 开始播出来 我觉得这是件好事情 | 
| [21:03] | You ready for the Doctor? | 准备好询问那个医生了吗? | 
| [21:04] | I think so. I gotta go hard. Right? | 我想是的 我得强势一点 对吗? | 
| [21:07] | I would. Clearly he has a button. | 我也这么看 很显然他身上有突破口 | 
| [21:09] | If you can get him to go Howard Dean up there? | 如果你能让他失控的话? | 
| [21:11] | That could help. | 会有帮助的 | 
| [21:12] | I just don’t wanna come off as a monster. | 我只是不想太不择手段了 | 
| [21:16] | Jamie? We need to accomplish two goals here. | 我们需要达成两个目标 | 
| [21:20] | First, to get a favorable verdict, which will be tough. | 首先 获得对我们有利的判决 这本身就有难度 | 
| [21:22] | Because, between you and me? | 因为 私底下说说 | 
| [21:25] | I’m not sure this Doctor committed any negligence. | 我都不确定那个医生是否真有过失 | 
| [21:28] | And second. Even should we win? | 其次 即便我们赢了? | 
| [21:30] | The Judge has to be outraged enough to strike the cap. | 法官需要愤怒到一定程度 才能无视封顶政策 | 
| [21:34] | Now the book on this Judge is that he does rule from emotion sometimes. | 据说 这个法官有时候会感情用事 | 
| [21:38] | So go for it. | 所以 争取吧 | 
| [21:42] | I’ve got the draft letter pretty much done. | 我基本上完成信件的草稿 | 
| [21:45] | I emailed it to the Labor Lawyer. | 我已经给劳务律师Email过去了 | 
| [21:47] | He sent it back with some minor changes, but I want you review it too. | 他做了一些小改动 发了回来 不过我希望你也看一下 | 
| [21:51] | When do we tell Eleanor? | 我们该怎么和 Eleanor 说? | 
| [21:54] | She’s back from court at lunch. We’ll tell her then, just before we tell him. | 吃午饭的时候她会从法庭回来 我们那个时候和她说 然后就告诉他 | 
| [22:00] | – Hello, Eugene! – What the¡? | – 你好 Eugene! – 搞什么…? | 
| [22:01] | Listen, I’ve been having some trouble getting into my computer, | 听我说 我没法登录我的电脑了 | 
| [22:04] | I was wondering if you could help. | 不知到你能不能帮忙 | 
| [22:06] | Almost seems as if the passwords been changed. | 看起来好像是密码给改了 | 
| [22:10] | But I’d know if there were a new a password. Wouldn’t I? | 不过如果有了新密码 会有人告诉我的 对吗? | 
| [22:14] | I mean you wouldn’t change it behind my back, would you? | 我是说 你不会背着我把它改了 对吗? | 
| [22:17] | That’s something Jimmy might do, but not¡ | Jimmy这么做我相信 不过… | 
| [22:20] | Oh, hello Jimmy! | 哦 你好 Jimmy! | 
| [22:21] | I didn’t see you there at first. | 一开始我没看到你 | 
| [22:24] | Not surprised though, following closely as usual. | 不过没什么好奇怪的 还是跟得那么紧 | 
| [22:27] | Waiting for order, hoping for a few scraps. | 等着别人使唤 希望捡点残羹冷炙 | 
| [22:31] | Anyway, Eugene, forgive me if I seem overly concerned, | 不管怎样 Eugene 原谅我可能显得多虑了 | 
| [22:36] | but, well, it’s just that | 不过 唔 只是 | 
| [22:38] | people have screwed me over in the past. | 过去有人耍过我 | 
| [22:42] | And I don’t like getting screwed over. | 我不想再被耍 | 
| [22:52] | – Get him in here. -Eugene! | – 喊他进来 | 
| [22:55] | Get him in here. Now. | 喊他进来 立刻 | 
| [23:00] | I’ve delivered thousands of babies over my career. | 我职业生涯中接生过数千个婴儿 | 
| [23:03] | I never lost a mother until this case. | 此前没有死过一个产妇 | 
| [23:05] | You were monitoring her. Did you miss anything? | 你一直在监控她的情况 有什么疏漏的地方吗? | 
| [23:08] | I don’t think so. | 我不这么认为 | 
| [23:09] | Had she seen a doctor during her pregnancy | 如果她怀孕期间看过医生的话 | 
| [23:11] | I would have known about her uterine abnormality | 我就会知道她子宫的异常 | 
| [23:14] | and I probably would have gone with a C-section sooner. | 或许我就会更早进行剖腹产 | 
| [23:17] | Probably? Would have? | 或许? 可能? | 
| [23:18] | Natural child birth is always preferred for the baby and the mother. | 自然分娩通常对产妇和婴儿都有好处 | 
| [23:22] | Doing C-sections without cause is bad medicine. | 无理由的进行剖腹手术是不合理的医务手段 | 
| [23:25] | She wasn’t in labor that long, | 她阵痛时间还不够 | 
| [23:27] | and we had no warning she was in danger. | 我们也没有发现她处于危险的征兆 | 
| [23:30] | Predicting uterine rupture in a healthy woman | 预估一个从来没有生育过的健康产妇 | 
| [23:32] | who never gave birth before is almost impossible. | 出现血崩问题几乎是不可能的 | 
| [23:35] | This was a tragedy! But it is not one we could have avoided. | 那是一个悲剧! 却不是一个我们可以避免的悲剧 | 
| [23:44] | The Quillen’s told you they didn’t have the money for prenatal care? | Quillen夫妇告诉过你他们无力支付产前检查? | 
| [23:47] | That had nothing to do with the treatment I gave her. | 这和我给与她的治疗毫无关系. | 
| [23:49] | My question, Doctor. | 回答我的问题 医生 | 
| [23:51] | – Did you know they couldn’t pay for treatment? -Yes. | – 你是否知道他们无法支付治疗费用? – 是的 | 
| [23:54] | -You also knew they didn’t have insurance. Correct? -Yes. | – 你也知道他们没有保险 对吗? – 是的 | 
| [23:56] | So you knew, that whatever treatment they got, the hospital was gonna have to eat it? | 那么你知道 无论他们接受何种治疗 医院都得承担下来? | 
| [24:00] | I did not put that woman’s life at risk to save money. | 我不是为了省钱 而使产妇的生命源于一线 | 
| [24:04] | She’d only in labor an hour, | 她的阵痛只开始了一个小时 | 
| [24:06] | it would have been inhumane to just cut her open without cause. | 如果没有任何原因就对其剖腹 实在是不人道的 | 
| [24:09] | – Any doctor¡ – She was screaming in pain. | – 任何医生… – 她在大声喊痛 | 
| [24:11] | – She was in labor. It’s painful. -You weren’t even there. | – 她在阵痛 自然很疼 – 你都不在那里 | 
| [24:13] | I was there. You weren’t. | 我在那里 你不在 | 
| [24:15] | How many obstetricians were on duty that night at the hospital? | 当晚医院当值的产科医生有几个? | 
| [24:19] | Just me. The other obstetricians had quit because¡ | 只有我 另外一个产科医生辞职了 因为… | 
| [24:21] | – Objection! – Sustained. | – 反对! – 有效 | 
| [24:23] | You were the only OBGYN on duty that night. | 你是当晚当值的唯一一个妇产科医生 | 
| [24:26] | And in fact you hadn’t slept for two nights before Mary Quillen came in! | 事实上 Mary Quillen 入院之时 你已经连着两个晚上没有睡觉了 | 
| [24:30] | – You were overseeing five other patients¡ – I was not overly tired. | – 你还有其他五个病人要照料… – 我并没有过度疲劳 | 
| [24:33] | – I was no busier than usual. – You were exhausted and overworked. | – 我也不比平时忙碌 – 过度的工作让你精疲力尽 | 
| [24:35] | – I was not. – And you made a bad decision. | – 我没有 – 所以你做了错误的决定 | 
| [24:37] | I did the best I could! | 我已经竭尽全力了! | 
| [24:38] | She came in to have a baby! And she’s dead! | 她入院生小孩儿! 结果就死了! | 
| [24:40] | – And you did the best? – I didn’t do anything wrong! | – 你竭尽全力了? – 我没有做错任何事! | 
| [24:42] | – You didn’t do anything at all! – I did everything I could! | – 你没有做任何事! – 我做了我所有能做的! | 
| [24:46] | You know what, Counsel? I will tell you this¡ | 知道吗 律师? 这么和你说吧… | 
| [24:49] | – Objection. – Doctor! | – 反对 – 医生! | 
| [24:50] | When that Judge went facedown the other day? I froze. | 那天那个法官昏倒的时候? 我惊呆了 | 
| [24:52] | I wanted to run up, I’m a doctor, for God’s sake, | 我想冲上去的 天哪 我是医生呀 | 
| [24:55] | but I was too afraid of getting sued, so¡ | 不过我害怕遭到起诉 所以… | 
| [24:57] | Did you freeze in the emergency room that night? | 那天晚上你在急诊室也呆住了吗? | 
| [24:59] | No! I did not. But many doctors might! | 不! 我没有 不过许多医生可能会! | 
| [25:02] | – Dr Platt! – You know, you’re the problem! You’re the problem! | – Platt医生! – 你知道吗 你才是问题所在! 你才是问题所在! | 
| [25:04] | – Dr Platt! That is enough! – you’re the problem! | – Platt医生! 够了! – 你才是问题所在! | 
| [25:20] | – Did I go too hard? – I don’t think so. | – 我过头了吗? – 我不这么看 | 
| [25:23] | You had to go after him; you had no choice. | 你需要紧逼着他 你别无选择 | 
| [25:26] | – Is your closing ready? – Not exactly, but I’ll work on it. | – 准备好结案呈词了吗? – 还没有 不过我会准备的 | 
| [25:29] | May I please speak to you? | 能和你们谈谈吗? | 
| [25:31] | Doctor. You’re represented by Counsel¡ | 医生 你是有律师代理的… | 
| [25:32] | I realize that. But, my Counsel has a conflict. | 我知道 不过我的律师存在利益冲突 | 
| [25:35] | He represents the hospital and the insurance company. | 他代理医院和保险公司 | 
| [25:37] | Then you need to retain another lawyer. We can’t¡ | 那么你需要另聘一位律师 我们不能… | 
| [25:39] | Two hundred thousand. | 20万 | 
| [25:41] | I would need time to refinance my house, but¡ | 给我点时间 让我重新找个供房的办法… | 
| [25:45] | I don’t think our client is gonna move for two. | 我不认为我的当事人会接受20万 | 
| [25:48] | You people are lawyers. | 你们是律师呀 | 
| [25:50] | You know what it’s like to be held hostage by insurance carriers. | 你知道被保险公司控制在手里是什么样的 | 
| [25:53] | If I get any unfavorable verdict, they drop me. | 如果我得到任何不利的判决 他们都会放弃我的 | 
| [25:56] | Without coverage, I can’t practice. | 没有担保 我就无法行业 | 
| [25:58] | Dr Platt, you’re represented by Counsel. | Platt医生 你是有律师代理的 | 
| [26:01] | We cannot be having this discussion. I’m sorry. | 我们不能进行这个讨论 对不起 | 
| [26:16] | – You need me? – Yes. Close the door please. | – 你找我? – 是的 请关上门 | 
| [26:22] | – Is this something sexual? – Sit. | – 性方面的? – 坐下 | 
| [26:28] | We’ve decided to let you go. | 我们决定让你离开 | 
| [26:30] | – Aaah! Go where? – You’re being discharged. | – 啊! 去哪里? – 你被解雇了 | 
| [26:37] | Why? | 为什么? | 
| [26:38] | Well, let’s call it philosophical differences. | 是理念上的分歧 | 
| [26:44] | I’d like you to leave immediately. | 我希望你立即离开 | 
| [26:48] | Is Eleanor in on this? | Eleanor和此事有关吗? | 
| [26:50] | Eleanor doesn’t know yet, but she’ll be informed. | Eleanor还不知情 不过我们会告诉她的 | 
| [26:52] | I supposed you’ve already managed to copy files. | 我估计你已经把文件做了拷贝 | 
| [26:55] | I’ll remind you that that’s illegal though doubt you care. | 提醒你这是非法的 不过估计你也不会在乎 | 
| [26:59] | Eugene, I don’t need to copy files. | Eugene 我不需要拷贝文件 | 
| [27:01] | And most of the corporate clients here are mine anyway. | 这里绝大部分的企业客户都是我的 | 
| [27:04] | You brought them in. But once you did so, they became clients of the firm. | 是你把他们带过来的 可是一旦如此 他们就是公司的客户了 | 
| [27:10] | Here’s a check representing two weeks severance pay. | 这张支票是你两周的薪水 作为离职金 | 
| [27:13] | Hm? | 唔? | 
| [27:19] | I’ve generated fees in excess of six million dollars, | 我带来了超过六百万的收入 | 
| [27:22] | you’ve handed me a check for fifteen thousand. You can keep it. | 你给我一张一万五千的支票 自己留着吧 | 
| [27:29] | You’re a very talented lawyer, Alan. | 作为一个律师 你很有天赋 Alan | 
| [27:32] | But you don’t fit in here. | 可是你不适合这里 | 
| [27:34] | We’ll be happy to give you a good recommendation. | 我们很乐意给你写一封好的推荐信 | 
| [27:38] | Now. It’s time for you to go. | 现在 你该走了 | 
| [27:42] | Eugene? Is it sexual? | Eugene? 这和性有关吗? | 
| [27:46] | -Goodbye, Alan. – I’m keeping Checkers. | – 再见 Alan – 我只求问心无愧 | 
| [27:54] | Tara? | |
| [28:09] | Alan Shore seems to know this was coming. | Alan Shore似乎知道将会发生什么事情 | 
| [28:11] | Did you tell him? | 是不是你告诉他的? | 
| [28:15] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [28:18] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 | 
| [28:20] | I owe you a lot, Eugene. And it wasn’t my intent to betray you. | 我欠你很多 Eugene 我本不想背叛你的 | 
| [28:24] | Really? Well you did. Why? | 真的?可是你还是这么做了 为什么呢? | 
| [28:31] | I guess I like him. | 我想因为我喜欢他 | 
| [28:34] | You told me he repelled you. | 可你和我说过他令你生厌 | 
| [28:38] | He so often does. | 通常情况下是这样 | 
| [28:42] | But it turns out that I consider him a friend. | 可是我还是发现心里将他视为一个朋友 | 
| [28:48] | Your employment here is terminated. | 你与本所的雇佣关系也到此为止了 | 
| [28:50] | You’ll be given two weeks severance. Your discharge is effective immediately. | 你会收到两周的薪水作为离职金 解雇即刻生效 | 
| [29:17] | – Lucy? Hey! – Hey! Eleanor. | – Lucy? 嗨! – 嗨i! Eleanor. | 
| [29:20] | – How are you? – Oh! I’m good. | – 你好吗? – 哦! 挺好的 | 
| [29:22] | Good! | 不错! | 
| [29:23] | – You look amazing. – Thank you. How have you been? | – 你看起来真漂亮 – 谢谢 你近来如何? | 
| [29:27] | How’s life as a rape counselor? | 作为强奸案的律师感觉如何? | 
| [29:30] | Well. It’s not a lot of laughs, but¡ | 唔 虽然不是欢笑多多 不过… | 
| [29:32] | God! You look wonderful. | 天哪! 你看起来太棒了 | 
| [29:35] | What, what brings you by? You’re just saying, Hello? | 什么 什么风把你吹过来了? 不会只是过来打个招呼吧 | 
| [29:37] | Nope. I’m just filling in in a pinch. | 不 我是来填补空缺的 | 
| [29:41] | Filling in? | 填空? | 
| [29:44] | Where’s Tara? | Tara呢? | 
| [29:46] | Eleanor? Can we talk to you for a second? | Eleanor? 能说几句话吗? | 
| [29:51] | Sure. | 当然 | 
| [30:03] | Forty minute ago, we fired Alan. | 40分钟之前 我们解雇了Alan | 
| [30:07] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么? | 
| [30:08] | Jimmy and I agreed that on balance he was a detriment to the firm so¡ | 我和Jimmy一致认为 综合考虑 他是本所的害群之马… | 
| [30:11] | Whoa, whoa, whoa! You and Jimmy agreed? Why wasn’t I¡? | 哇 等等! 你和Jimmy一致认为? 为什么我没…? | 
| [30:14] | – Because you’re his friend. – As well as a partner with a vote in¡! | – 因为你是他的朋友 – 我同时也是有决定权的合伙人…! | 
| [30:17] | – We were trying to insulate from a conflict! – That’s crap! | – 我们只是不想你左右为难! – 一派胡言! | 
| [30:21] | Why wasn’t I told? | 为什么你们不告诉我? | 
| [30:22] | Because we feared you’d tell him, and he’d steal clients or files or both. | 因为我们怕你会告诉他 他或许会偷走公司的客户或者文件 | 
| [30:26] | Well, it turns out Tara tipped him off, so she was fired as well. | 结果 Tara给他走漏了风声 她也被炒了 | 
| [30:30] | – How dare you make a unilateral decision without me? – It wasn’t unilateral! Jimmy and I¡! | – 你怎么敢不问我就单方面做出决定? – 这不是单方面的! 我和Jimmy…! | 
| [30:34] | I am a partner in this firm. | 我是这个事务所的合伙人 | 
| [30:37] | For you to go behind my back! | 你居然背着我搞鬼! | 
| [30:38] | – You’re his friend! – I’m your friend! | – 你是他的朋友! – 我也是你的朋友! | 
| [30:41] | You have a duty of honesty to me! | 你有对我坦诚相待的义务! | 
| [30:43] | As do you to Alan! Which we couldn’t risk you honoring! | 你对Alan也是如此! 我们不敢担保你会不会如此! | 
| [30:46] | Not at the expense of this firm! | 我不能拿整个事务所来冒险! | 
| [30:48] | The firm! The firm is you! It’s me! And it’s Jimmy! | 这个事务所! 这个事务所是你! 我! 还有Jimmy! | 
| [30:52] | – And Jamie! And Tara! – Who you just fired! | – 还有Jamie! 还有Tara! – 你刚把她炒了! | 
| [30:54] | – Because she betrayed us! – Eugene!! | – 因为她背叛了我们! | 
| [30:56] | He had to go! I don’t care how much money he brought in. | 他必须得走人! 我不管他带来了多少收入 | 
| [30:58] | – He lied, he broke all the rules¡ – He served every one of us! | – 他撒谎 他无视规则… – 他帮了我们每一个人! | 
| [31:01] | No, he did not!!! | 不 他没有!!! | 
| [31:05] | This firm Bobby Donnell turned over to us is one of integrity! | Bobby Donnell交到我们手上的 这个事务所 宗旨就是正直! | 
| [31:10] | The name on this place? Its reputation? It means something! | 这个地方的名字? 它的声誉? 它意味着某些很重要的东西! | 
| [31:14] | That man demeans the practice of law. | 那个人使法律蒙羞 | 
| [31:17] | He demeaned this firm! He disrespected you! Jimmy! And me! | 那个人使这家事务所蒙羞! 他不尊重你! Jimmy! 和我! | 
| [31:20] | I don’t care if we have to scrape for rent! | 就算以后我们穷得交不起房租 | 
| [31:23] | This firm will always maintain its dignity. | 这家事务所也会永远保持它的正直性 | 
| [31:32] | Character has to count for something, Eleanor. And if it does, | 品格是很重要的 Eleanor 而如果是这样的 | 
| [31:38] | that man has no place. | 这里没有那个人的一席之地 | 
| [31:51] | – We need to get going. – Jamie? Can you close without me there? | – 我们该走了 – Jamie? 你能一个人结案呈词吗? | 
| [31:55] | Uhm. Sure. | 唔 当然 | 
| [31:56] | I’m just in no emotional state to uh¡ | 我现在实在是没有心情去… | 
| [32:00] | I understand. I, I’m fine. | 我明白的 我 我没问题的 | 
| [32:05] | If the Judge asks, I’ll just tell him you’re not feeling very well. | 如果法官问起的话 我就告诉他你身体不太舒服 | 
| [32:08] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 | 
| [32:14] | I’d better get to court. | 我该去上庭了 | 
| [32:21] | Hm! Seems funner than before. | 唔! 比以前有意思多了 | 
| [32:25] | Lucy? Did all the letters go out? | Lucy? 所有的信都发出去了吗? | 
| [32:27] | I checked. They’re out. | 我查过了 都发出去了 | 
| [32:30] | Okay. Ah, thank you for uh¡ | 好的 啊 谢谢你… | 
| [32:34] | No problem. | 别客气 | 
| [32:45] | Everyone says frivolous lawsuits are destroying medicine. | 所有人都说 轻率的起诉正在摧毁医药业 | 
| [32:49] | Insurance companies blame lawyers for driving up health costs. | 保险公司将医疗成本的上涨归罪于律师 | 
| [32:52] | But, you know what? It’s a lie. | 不过 你知道吗? 这是一个谎言 | 
| [32:55] | Malpractice suits are down nationally. | 全国范围内的医疗事故纠纷呈下降的趋势 | 
| [32:58] | Doctors and hospitals are making more money than ever! | 医生和医院所赚的钱比以前任何时候都多! | 
| [33:02] | The most recent study shows that for every law suit filed, | 最近的调查表明 无疾而终的医疗事故数量 | 
| [33:05] | there are at least ten acts of gross malpractice that never lead to any action. | 是呈庭案件数的十倍 | 
| [33:11] | New laws are making it harder and harder to even bring these cases. | 新的法律使提起此种诉讼日益艰难 | 
| [33:15] | Yet almost one hundred thousand Americans died last year | 可是去年有近十万美国人死于 | 
| [33:20] | because doctors and hospitals made mistakes. | 医院和医生的失误 | 
| [33:24] | One hundred thousand. | 十万人 | 
| [33:28] | Mary Quillen died because she couldn’t afford a C-section. | Mary Quillen的死 是因为她无力承担剖腹产 | 
| [33:33] | That’s worse than negligence. That’s’ discrimination. | 这不仅仅只是过失的问题 这是歧视 | 
| [33:35] | And it happens every day. | 这样的事情每天都在发生 | 
| [33:38] | It’s somehow become bad business to treat the poor. | 不知道什么时候 为穷人治病 已经变成了不划算的买卖 | 
| [33:42] | And health care has become a national disgrace. | 医疗保障也成了国家羞耻 | 
| [33:47] | A message needs to be sent. | 我们应当发出警醒 | 
| [33:50] | I don’t have the power. But you do. | 我没有这个权力 可是你们有 | 
| [34:11] | This country, the richest on earth, | 我们这个国家是世界上最富裕的 | 
| [34:13] | fails to provide adequate prenatal care to poor women. | 却无法给贫困的妇女提供合适的产前检查 | 
| [34:18] | Had Mary been able to get a prenatal exam | 如果Mary接受过产前检查 | 
| [34:21] | Dr Platt would have known that her uterus was abnormal, | Platt医生就会知道她的子宫异常 | 
| [34:23] | and he likely would have ordered that C-section. | 他就有可能要求剖腹产 | 
| [34:26] | But because he didn’t know, | 不过因为他不知道 | 
| [34:28] | he had no basis for performing a C-section on her before it was too late. | 他没有剖腹产的理由 而后则一切都已经太晚了 | 
| [34:33] | One reason for the state of health care in this country, | 这个国家医疗环境到如斯地步的一个原因 | 
| [34:35] | by the way, a big reason, litigation. | 顺便说一句 一个很重要的原因 就是法律诉讼 | 
| [34:38] | – Your Honor? – She opened the door on this. | – 法官大人? – 她先挑起来的 | 
| [34:41] | I’ll allow it. | 允许 | 
| [34:43] | Fear of litigation is driving health care costs into orbit. | 对诉讼的恐惧使得医疗费用飙升 | 
| [34:47] | Doctors routinely order expensive tests to cover themselves in case they get sued. | 医生习惯于为病人进行昂贵的检查 以防被起诉 | 
| [34:53] | And according to Newsweek magazine we waste fifty | 据新闻周刊称 | 
| [34:57] | to a hundred billion dollars, | 我们浪费500亿到100亿美元 | 
| [34:59] | billion on what’s called defensive medicine. | 上百亿的钱在所谓的防御性医疗上 | 
| [35:04] | Physicians are now afraid to discuss their mistakes with each, | 医生们现在都不敢互相交流自己所犯下的错误 | 
| [35:07] | because candor can be used against them in court. | 因为坦诚可能会成为对其不利的呈堂证供 | 
| [35:11] | But you know the worst part? | 可是你知道最可悲的地方在哪里吗? | 
| [35:15] | Good doctors, | 优秀的医生们 | 
| [35:17] | men and women in the business of healing, | 那些每日救死扶伤的人们 | 
| [35:19] | like Dr Platt, are being driven out because they can’t afford coverage. | 比如Platt医生 因为无法承担保险费用 而被逼离开他们的岗位 | 
| [35:24] | He couldn’t foresee and abnormal uterus. | 他无法预见一个异常的子宫 | 
| [35:27] | This wasn’t his fault. | 这不是他的过错 | 
| [35:31] | But hey! Anybody and everybody gets to sue. | 不过! 任何人都会有起诉的权利 | 
| [35:34] | But the problem is, win or lose? He looses. | 不过问题是 无论赢输? 对他来说都是输 | 
| [35:41] | And so do we all. | 我们大家也是如此 | 
| [36:17] | – Hey! – Is he here? | – 嗨i! – 他在吗? | 
| [36:19] | Oh. I’ve been calling him. Actually I’m trying him again now. | 我一直在打电话找他 实际上 我现在也正在给他打电话 | 
| [36:23] | Hello. You’ve reached Alan Shore. I’m currently with a prostitute. If you’d like to leave a message. | 你好 这里是Alan Shore. 我正在和妓女鬼混 如果你想留言的话… | 
| [36:27] | I’ve left him six messages. | 我给他留了六条言了 | 
| [36:29] | – He’s not returning. – Okay. | – 他一直都没有打回来 – 好吧 | 
| [36:35] | Listen Tara, I’m very sorry that¡ | 听我说Tara 非常抱歉… | 
| [36:38] | I deserved to get fired, Eleanor. | 我被解雇是应得的 Eleanor | 
| [36:43] | I betrayed Eugene. | 我背叛了Eugene | 
| [36:45] | I’m willing to accept responsibility for it. | 我愿意承担这个责任 | 
| [36:52] | If I hear from him, I’ll let you know. | 如果我有他的消息的话 我会告诉你的 | 
| [36:54] | Okay. Thanks. | 好的 谢了 | 
| [37:15] | Has the jury reached a verdict? | 陪审团有裁定了吗? | 
| [37:17] | Yes, we have, Your Honor. | 是的 法官阁下 | 
| [37:19] | Question one, | 首先 | 
| [37:21] | was the hospital, or Dr Platt negligent in the death of Mary Quillen. | 是由由于医院和Platt医生的过失 导致Mary Quillen的死亡 | 
| [37:25] | How say you? | 你们如何裁定? | 
| [37:27] | We the jury find Dr Platt, and the hospital, | 陪审团认定Platt医生和医院 | 
| [37:31] | guilty of negligence. | 过失罪名成立 | 
| [37:34] | Question two refers to damages. | 其次关于赔偿问题 | 
| [37:36] | Have you reached a decision on that question? | 你们做出一致的决定了吗? | 
| [37:38] | Yes, Your Honor. | 是的 法官大人 | 
| [37:40] | We the jury find Dr Platt and the hospital | 陪审团认定Platt医生和医院 | 
| [37:43] | jointly and severally liable and order them to pay the Quillen family | 应共同及各自对此事承担责任 并责令其对Quillen家 | 
| [37:48] | three point six million dollars. | 作出360万美元的赔偿 | 
| [37:51] | Defense moves to reduce the judgment to the statutory cap of twenty thousand. | 辩方请求将赔款金额 降至法定上限2万元 | 
| [37:55] | Opposed! Your Honor has the discretion to lift the cap. | 反对! 法官大人有权提升赔偿额 | 
| [37:58] | There is no authority for that discretion in the legislative definition. | 没有法规给于自主提升的权力 | 
| [38:01] | – Your Honor can rely on precedent where judgment… – Those precedents are certainly not binding, Your Honor. | – 法官大人可以依照前例… – 此等前例并无强制性 法官大人 | 
| [38:05] | The law is wrong! | 这法律错了! | 
| [38:07] | Which is exactly why most States did away with the charity caps fifty years ago! | 这也是为什么大多数的州在50年前 废除了此项赔款上限! | 
| [38:13] | You’re right, Ms Stringer. | 你说的没错 Stringer小姐 | 
| [38:15] | The law is archaic. Perhaps even immoral. | 此项法律是有点不合时宜 甚至可能不合道德 | 
| [38:22] | But as a Judge, I’m bound to uphold it. | 不过作为一个法官 我必须要尊重它 | 
| [38:25] | The verdict of three point six million dollars is vacated by statue. | 360万美元的判决无效 | 
| [38:29] | The verdict is capped at twenty thousand. | 封顶于两万 | 
| [38:33] | Members of the jury you’re dismissed with thanks. | 感谢陪审团 你们可以解散了 | 
| [38:35] | This matter is adjourned. | 此案终结 | 
| [38:46] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 | 
| [38:48] | We’ll appeal and we’ll ask for the full judgment, but¡ | 我们会上诉并要求全额赔偿 不过… | 
| [38:52] | It’s okay. | 没关系 | 
| [38:53] | You at least got a verdict. | 至少得到裁定了 | 
| [38:56] | I’m grateful for that. Maybe¡ | 这点我就非常感激了 或许… | 
| [39:00] | it’ll be heard. | 别人会所有警醒吧 | 
| [39:02] | Let’s hope so. | 让我们共同希望吧 | 
| [39:05] | I wish you well, Tom. | 希望你一切都好 Tom | 
| [39:07] | Thank you. And please, thank Eleanor for me. | 谢谢你 并且麻烦你 帮我谢谢Eleanor | 
| [39:11] | I will. | 我会的 | 
| [39:53] | What’s new? | 最近如何? | 
| [40:02] | I’m sorry. I didn’t know. | 对不起 我那时候不知情 | 
| [40:05] | I know you didn’t. | 我知道你不知情 | 
| [40:08] | I’m gonna try to dissuade them. | 我会尽力劝阻他们的 | 
| [40:10] | Eleanor. It’s a place of work. Nothing more. | Eleanor 这只是一个工作的地方 仅此而已 | 
| [40:17] | It’s the little things in life, I¡ | 只是那些生活中的琐事让我… | 
| [40:21] | find annoying. | 觉得很困扰 | 
| [40:25] | If you could just get Tara’s job back. She didn’t¡ | 如果你能让Tara回去工作的话 她实在不应… | 
| [40:31] | deserve¡ | 被如此… | 
| [40:34] | Hey! My friend. | 嘿! 我的朋友 | 
| [40:39] | You and I are gonna see a lot of each other. | 我们会经常见面的 | 
| [40:42] | Everything’s fine, Eleanor. I promise. | 一切都没事的 Eleanor 我保证 | 
| [40:47] | I’d even go so far as to say it’s all for the best, so¡ | 我甚至会说这可能是最好的结局了 所以… | 
| [40:50] | Let’s see a smile. | 笑一笑 | 
| [40:58] | I didn’t figure you’d go so quietly. | 我没有想到你会这么安静的离开 | 
| [41:04] | Who said anything about going to go quietly. | 谁说安静的离开的 | 
| [41:10] | Eleanor, I give you my word, this is going to get very¡ | Eleanor 我保证 事情会变得非常… | 
| [41:16] | ugly. Not to worry. | 难看的 别担心 |