时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:04] | previously on the west wing: | |
[00:06] | I can’t do this anymore. | 我再也待不下去了 |
[00:07] | This is the most important thing I’ll ever do, jenny. | 这是我做过最重要的事,珍妮 |
[00:10] | It’s not more important than your marriage. | 不会比你的婚姻重要吧 |
[00:12] | It is more important than my marriage right now. | 现在比我的婚姻更重要 |
[00:15] | Say, what are you wearing tonight? | 你今晚穿什么? |
[00:16] | What am I wearing tonight? | 我今晚穿什么? |
[00:18] | Your paper wants to know what I’m wearing? | 你的报社想知道我穿什么? |
[00:19] | Not my paper. That was just for me. | 不是报社而是我想知道的 |
[00:20] | When was the last time you went to a meeting? | 你上次是何时参加聚会的? |
[00:23] | A.a.? What meeting could I possibly go to? | 戒酒聚会吗? |
[00:27] | Mine. | 我还能去哪里的聚会? 我的聚会 |
[00:28] | Something I can | 有什么可以帮你的吗? 马加瑞先生 |
[00:29] | Help you with, mr. Mcgarry? | 有什么可以帮你的吗? 马加瑞先生 |
[00:32] | Yeah. I’m here for the… Card game. | 我是来玩牌的 |
[00:36] | ( banging ) | “大法官名单” “星期一早上” |
[00:41] | Yes… Yes. | 是 是 |
[00:51] | Yes. | 是 |
[00:55] | So are you prepared at this point to… | 所以你此时准备好…? |
[01:02] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[01:05] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你 |
[01:07] | Uh, if you’ll sit by the phone for a few minutes | 如果你在电话旁坐一会儿 |
[01:09] | You can expect a call from the president. | 你会接到总统打来的电话 |
[01:13] | Thank you again. | 再次感谢你 |
[01:17] | Yes! | 好! |
[01:18] | It’s done. | 好! 成了,我们办到了 成了,成了 |
[01:18] | We did it! | 成了,我们办到了 成了,成了 |
[01:19] | It is done! | 完成了 |
[01:20] | It’s done! | 完成了 我们办到了 是我办到的 |
[01:21] | We did it! | 我们办到了 |
[01:22] | i did it. | 是我办到的 |
[01:23] | C.j. Was on the phone with her fingers crossed. | 茜洁只在一旁听着电话 祈求好运 |
[01:24] | Josh, it was one phone call. | 你只打了一通电话耶… |
[01:26] | It was a series of phone calls which I masterminded | 我可是在幕后策划 进行一连串电话连系 |
[01:28] | And while I’m not one to be selfish about credit | 我不会自私地 将它视为自己的功劳 |
[01:31] | I think it is important to know that it is done and I did it! | 我只是觉得各位一定得知道 这件事顺利办成 而且是我办到的 |
[01:34] | Donna, call toby, call sam, call leo, call the president. | 唐娜,打电话给托比 打给山姆,打给里奥 |
[01:38] | Tell them I’m on my way over. | 打给总统 告诉他们我要去找他们 |
[01:39] | Congratulations! | 恭喜 |
[01:40] | Nothing to the press. | 不要透露给媒体知道 |
[01:41] | Yes! | 是的 |
[01:42] | Claudia jean, we did it. | 克劳蒂亚珍 是 |
[01:44] | Yes! | 我们办到了 |
[01:45] | Whoo! | 是 |
[01:46] | Wait! | 等一下 什么事? |
[01:47] | What? | 等一下 什么事? |
[01:48] | Don’t you want to know | 你难道不想知道 办公室里的敲击声是什么吗? |
[01:49] | About the banging in your office? | 我办公室里有敲击声吗? 持续了一个早上 |
[01:51] | The banging in my office? They’ve been at it all morning. | 敲击声? 是啊 |
[01:53] | Banging? I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不知道你在说什么 |
[01:55] | Josh, there was a loud banging or thumping | 乔西,在你办公室天花板 |
[01:56] | Coming from the floor above your office. | 一直传出重击声 |
[01:58] | I didn’t notice. How could you not notice? | 我没注意到 怎么会? |
[02:00] | Because I didn’t, donna. | 我就是没注意到,唐娜 |
[02:01] | I’ve been on the phone for the last hour | 我就是没注意到,唐娜 刚才那一小时里 我一直在讲电话 |
[02:03] | Trying to seal a deal to fill a seat | 忙着为填补大法官空缺 |
[02:05] | On the supreme court, so, you know… | 敲定最后细节,所以你知道… |
[02:06] | It was a pretty loud banging, josh. | 声音真的很大耶 |
[02:08] | You understand I’m taking about | 你知道我指的是 |
[02:09] | The united states supreme court, right? | 美国联邦最高法院吧 |
[02:11] | Yes. | 知道 那就好 |
[02:12] | Who da man? | 谁最棒? 你最棒 |
[02:13] | You’re da man. | 谁最棒? 你最棒 我们棒极了 真是恶心死了 |
[02:14] | We da man! | 我们棒极了 |
[02:15] | This is just gross. | 真是恶心死了 |
[02:16] | Wait here for me. | 在这儿等我 |
[02:18] | Good morning, mrs. Landingham. | 早安,蓝丁汉太太 早安 |
[02:20] | Good morning. Good morning, indeed. | 早安 的确是美好的早晨 |
[02:23] | Josh? Yes, mrs. Landingham? | 乔西 什么事? |
[02:25] | Is it done? | 真的办成了吗? |
[02:26] | Well, that depends on your answer | 这就要看你对这个问题 |
[02:29] | To this question, mrs. Landingham: | 的答覆而定,蓝丁汉太太 |
[02:31] | Who da man? | 谁最棒? |
[02:33] | Excuse me, josh? | 你说什么?乔西 |
[02:35] | ( chuckling ) | |
[02:35] | Mmm… | |
[02:37] | Who da man? | 谁最棒? |
[02:38] | You da man. | 你们最棒 |
[02:40] | We da man! We da man! We da man. | 我们最棒 |
[02:42] | He’s waiting for you. | 他在等你们 |
[02:43] | Thank you. ( sighing ) | 谢谢 |
[02:48] | I heard we may have… | 我听说我们可能已… |
[02:49] | Yes, sir! | 是的 |
[02:50] | I can call him? | 我可以打电话给他吗? |
[02:51] | He’s waiting for you, sir. | 他正在等你 |
[02:52] | It’s done? | 办成了 是的,办成了 |
[02:53] | It’s done. | 你有了一位大法官提名人 总统先生 |
[02:54] | You got yourself | 你有了一位大法官提名人 |
[02:55] | A supreme court nominee, mr. President. | 总统先生 |
[02:56] | This is huge. Which one of you is the man? | 这可是大事 你们之中是谁办到的? |
[02:59] | On this one, we’d like to think of ourselves collectively | 我们把这件事视为 |
[03:01] | As the men, sir. | 全体一致的功劳 |
[03:02] | Miss landingham, let’s make that phone call. | 蓝丁汉太太,打电话吧 |
[03:05] | Congratulations, sir. | 恭喜 |
[03:07] | Well done, sir. | 谢谢 也恭喜你 办得好 谢谢 |
[03:08] | Thank you. | 办得好 谢谢 |
[03:11] | You guys rock. | 你们真不是盖的 希望如此 |
[03:12] | Oh, we really do. | 你们真不是盖的 希望如此 |
[03:13] | Let’s bring in the chairman | 去把司法委员会主席和委员 |
[03:14] | And the ranking member from judiciary | 还有两党领袖给找来 |
[03:16] | The leadership from both sides and c.j., you should… Where is c.j.? | 茜洁,你应该…茜洁人呢? |
[03:21] | Right here. | 在这儿 |
[03:22] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[03:24] | You should wear a bell around your neck, you know that? | 你应该在脖子上挂个铃铛 你知道吗? |
[03:25] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[03:26] | So, what do we want to do? | 现在我们该怎么做? |
[03:27] | C.j.’ll let the press know | 西洁会让记者知道 |
[03:28] | That the president will introduce his nominee | 总统将在星期四下午五点 |
[03:30] | At an east room press ceremony thursday, 5:00 p.m. | 在东厢记者室宣布 他的提名人选 |
[03:33] | Can we do it on friday and give ourselves more time? | 可否星期五再宣布 好让我们有充份的时间? |
[03:34] | Thursday. Why? | 星期四 为什么? |
[03:36] | ’cause that’s when people watch tv. | 因为星期四民众才会看电视 |
[03:37] | We can do this in four days? Yep. | 我们能在四天内完成吗? 是 |
[03:38] | Are you sure? Yep. | 你确定吗? 是的 |
[03:39] | Toby, you’re running the show. I know. | 托比,这件大事由你来主导 我知道 |
[03:41] | Put the ball in the hole. It’s done. | 可要一杆进洞哟 没问题 |
[03:43] | No, it’s not. | 不,事情还未底定 所以赶快去搞定 |
[03:44] | So get it done. | 不,事情还未底定 所以赶快去搞定 |
[03:45] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[03:46] | Josh, get me everything. | 乔西,你得帮我们查得 一清二楚 |
[03:48] | We vetted him two months. | 我们已经调查他两个月了 |
[03:49] | I’m going to vet him four more days. | 再继续查四天 |
[03:50] | I want to know every parking ticket | 我要知道他每一张 停车违规罚单 |
[03:52] | I want to know every girlfriend he stood up for dinner in 1953… | 还有在一九五三年每一位曾经 被他放鸽子的约会女友 |
[03:56] | Amanda, you’re going to roll this guy out in a show | ��蒂,你要为这�砘锏� |
[03:58] | That makes the queen’s coronation look like dinner theater. | 任命仪式大肆包装宣传 |
[03:59] | Sam, you’re going to write | 让女王加冕典礼也相形失色 |
[04:00] | The president’s introduction. | 山姆,你来撰写 总统的任命讲稿 |
[04:02] | You’re also going to write | 还有哈里逊的发言稿 哈里逊不会喜欢的 |
[04:03] | Harrison’s remarks. | 还有哈里逊的发言稿 |
[04:04] | Harrison’s not going to like that. | 哈里逊不会喜欢的 |
[04:06] | Show him the robe he gets– | 你把大法官袍子送给他 他不喜欢也得喜欢 |
[04:07] | He’ll like it fine. | 茜洁,不要走漏消息 |
[04:08] | C.j., no leaks. | 茜洁,不要走漏消息 |
[04:09] | If the name of this nominee leaks out | 如果提名人的名字 |
[04:10] | Before I want it to be leaked out | 在我想要的时机之前 给泄漏出去 |
[04:11] | I’m going to blame you | 我会怪到你头上 你不会好受的 |
[04:13] | And you’re going to find that unpleasant. | 我会怪到你头上 你不会好受的 |
[04:15] | I’ve gotta tell you something, toby– | 告诉你,托比 |
[04:17] | You’re hot when you’re like this. | 你这样子性感极了 |
[04:19] | I am going to put harrison on the court! | 我要把哈里逊送进最高法院 |
[04:21] | I swear to god I am. | 我对天发誓一定要做到 |
[04:23] | We meet again in three hours. | 三小时后再碰面开会 |
[04:25] | C.j., come talk to me. | 茜洁,我要跟你谈一下 |
[04:26] | Did you see his face? | 你看到他脸上的表情没有? |
[04:28] | We’re home. | 我们正中目标 |
[04:29] | I’ll see you later. | 待会儿见 |
[04:31] | It’s a maintenance crew. | 是维修人员搞的 |
[04:33] | They’re banging. | 那敲击声 |
[04:34] | They’re working upstairs. | 他们在楼上施工 |
[04:36] | Peyton cabot harrison iii. | 佩顿卡布哈里逊三世 |
[04:38] | Yes. | 是 |
[04:39] | “Peyton cabot harrison iii”– | 佩顿卡布哈里逊三世 |
[04:41] | He sounds like he should be a supreme court justice. | 名字听起来就应该是大法官 |
[04:43] | It’s a good name. | 好名字 |
[04:44] | Phillips exeter, princeton, rhodes scholar… | 菲利浦艾克斯特学院 及普林斯顿大学毕业 |
[04:46] | harvard law review | 罗德学者奖得主 哈佛法律评论期刊… 他曾是主编 |
[04:47] | For which he was, oh, yeah, the editor… | 哈佛法律评论期刊… 他曾是主编 |
[04:50] | Did I mention that he was dean of harvard law school? | 我有提过他曾经担任 哈佛法学院院长吗? |
[04:53] | Did I mention that his father | 我有提过他父亲是 |
[04:54] | Was attorney general to eisenhower? | 艾森豪总统的司法部长吗? |
[04:56] | Peyton cabot harrison iii. | 佩顿卡布哈里逊三世 |
[04:58] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[04:58] | Jewish fella? | 是犹太人吗? |
[05:00] | You’re not going to ruin this moment for me, donna. | 在这重要时刻 你泼不了我冷水的,唐娜 |
[05:02] | I’m sharing this moment. | 我是在和你分享此刻 |
[05:03] | This is a big day for us. You’re the men. | 对我们而言 今天是一个大日子 |
[05:05] | You know what we’re finally going to have? | 你最棒了 你知道我们最后 会得到什么吗? |
[05:06] | A waspy old man on the supreme court? | 最高法院里的老白人大法官 |
[05:08] | A smooth confirmation process. | 确认程序一路顺畅 |
[05:10] | You think? It’s going to sail. | 你这么想? 一定可以顺利扬帆出海 |
[05:11] | I hope so. It’s going to sail, donna. | 希望如此 一定可以扬帆出海,唐娜 |
[05:13] | There’s many a slip twixt the tongue and the wrist, josh. | 小心驶得万年船 是的 |
[05:15] | Your fortune cookie wisdom notwithstanding | 尽管你老爱说一些 |
[05:17] | It’s going to sail. | 老掉牙的至理名言 |
[05:18] | Please don’t get your hopes up. | 这事一定可以扬帆出海的 请不要期望太高 |
[05:20] | Why shouldn’t I get my hopes up? | 为何不能期望太高? |
[05:21] | Because when it doesn’t work out | 因为每当行不通的时候 |
[05:22] | You end up drunk in my apartment In the middle of the night | 你会半夜醉倒在我的公寓 |
[05:24] | And yell at my roommates’ cats. | 还对我室友的猫大叫 |
[05:25] | Smooth sailing, donna. Cautious optimism, josh. | 一定会畅行无阻的,唐娜 乐观中带谨慎,乔西 |
[05:27] | Nothing bad is going to happen this week. Exercise cautious optimism. | 这星期不会有坏事发生的 我还是要请你乐观中带谨慎 |
[05:31] | Look, there’s no reason… | 喂,没有理由… |
[05:38] | Well… | |
[05:41] | Okay. | 好吧 罗伯洛 茉拉凯利 杜希尔 艾莉森詹尼 里察薛福 约翰史宾塞 布雷迪威佛德 马丁辛 “白宫风云” |
[06:30] | You’re too young to retire, joseph. | 你还太年轻 |
[06:33] | ( chuckling ): You’re an excellent liar, mr. President. | 根本不到退休的时候,约瑟夫 |
[06:38] | ( chuckling ): Yes, sir. | 你真是一个大骗子,总统先生 |
[06:41] | ( clears throat ) | 是啊 |
[06:43] | You’re going to go with harrison? | 你要提名哈里逊? |
[06:46] | He’s on the short list. | 他是在名单上 |
[06:48] | Yeah? | 是 |
[06:49] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[06:50] | With how many other names? | 名单上还有其他人吗? |
[06:53] | We’ll make our announcement on thursday. ( sighing ) | 我们星期四会对外宣布 |
[06:57] | You’ve decided on harrison. | 你已经决定哈里逊了 |
[06:59] | I haven’t made a decision yet, joseph. | 我还没做出决定,约瑟夫 |
[07:02] | You’ve made the call. ( scoffing ) | 你已经打了电话 |
[07:06] | Did you even consider mendoza? | 你有考虑过孟道萨吗? |
[07:10] | Mendoza was on the short list. | 孟道萨曾在名单上 |
[07:11] | Mendoza was on the short list | 孟道萨曾在名单上? |
[07:13] | So you could show you had an hispanic on the short list. | 所以你可以藉此表示名单上 有一位西裔人士 |
[07:17] | That’s not true, joseph. | 才不是这样,约瑟夫 |
[07:18] | You ran great guns in the campaign. | 你在竞选时火力全开 |
[07:22] | It was an insurgency, boy, a sight to see. | 简直是谋反,令人叹为观止 |
[07:26] | And then you drove To the middle of the road the moment | 然后在宣誓就职之后 |
[07:30] | After you took the oath. ( clears throat ): Joseph… | 你却开始向中间靠拢 |
[07:33] | Middle of the road. | 约瑟夫 |
[07:35] | Nothing but a long line painted yellow. | 中间路线只不过是一长条黄线 |
[07:38] | Excuse me, sir… | 抱歉… |
[07:39] | I wanted to retire five years ago. | 我五年前就想退休 |
[07:42] | But I waited for a democrat. | 不过我在等待民主党上台 |
[07:45] | I wanted a democrat. Hmm! | 我要民主党人 |
[07:49] | But instead, I got you. Hey. | 结果却碰上了你 |
[08:08] | Hey. | 你好吗? 很好,丹尼 |
[08:09] | How you doing? | 你好吗? |
[08:10] | I’m doing fine, danny. | 很好,丹尼 |
[08:11] | Is it going to be harrison? | 会是哈里逊吗? 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 你为什么非要问我 |
[08:12] | Why, why, oh, why do you ask me questions | 你为什么非要问我 |
[08:14] | That you absolutely, positively know | 你知道我绝对不会 回答的问题呢? |
[08:15] | I’m not going to answer? | 你知道我绝对不会 回答的问题呢? |
[08:16] | It’s a good conversation starter. | 好让你打开话匣子啊 |
[08:18] | I can’t go out on a date with you, danny. | 我不能跟你约会,丹尼 制片:李维林威尔斯 |
[08:19] | Who asked you? | 谁邀你了? 好 |
[08:20] | You think harrison’s going to be a good justice? | 你认为哈里逊会是好法官吗? 丹尼 |
[08:22] | Danny… See what I did there? | 你知道我刚才这么说的用意吗 编剧:艾伦索金等 |
[08:23] | I tried to trick you into confirming it was harrison. | 知道 我故意设计诱导你回答 来确定是哈里逊 |
[08:25] | It didn’t work. | 是啊 没有成功 当然没有 |
[08:26] | And you won’t go out on a date with me, right? | 你不会和我约会是吧 没错 |
[08:28] | Right. Okay. | 好吧 导演:比尔德里亚 |
[08:38] | I suppose we should get out there. | 我想我们该出去了 |
[08:40] | Not yet, sir. | 还不是时候 |
[08:41] | I’m sorry, joseph, but i am… | 抱歉,约瑟夫,我要… |
[08:42] | I served on this bench for 38 years. | 我担任大法官已经三十八年了 |
[08:46] | I took my seat the year you began college. | 我在你上大学那一年 当上大法官 |
[08:49] | I believe I’ve earned the right to say a word. | 我相信我有权利说几句话 |
[08:53] | You’ve said quite a few words. | 你已经说了一堆话了 |
[08:55] | Not enough. | 还不够 |
[08:57] | Let’s get out there. | 我们出去吧 |
[08:58] | Take the next few days with your staff | 花几天时间跟幕僚讨论一下 |
[09:01] | And give mendoza the consideration he deserves. | 给孟道萨他应得的考虑 |
[09:04] | Joseph, when the next seat opens up, I promise you… | 约瑟夫,下次有空缺时 我答应我一定会… |
[09:07] | When the next seat opens up | 下一次有空缺时 |
[09:09] | You’ll be writing your memoirs. | 你已经在写回忆录了 |
[09:11] | In three years, I would hope to be running for reel… | 三年后我希望还能竞选连任 |
[09:13] | You’re going to get beat in three years. | 三年后你会被打败的 |
[09:16] | That’s a little pessimistic, joseph. | 这种看法有点悲观,约瑟夫 |
[09:18] | The american voters like guts, and republicans have got them. | 美国选民喜欢有胆识的人 而共和党正是有胆识 |
[09:23] | And in three years, one of them is going to beat you. | 三年后其中之一人会打败你 |
[09:29] | You know, I imagine the… View | 我想从以你在历史上 |
[09:31] | From your largely unscrutinized place in history | 不受监督的地位来看 |
[09:34] | Must be very different from mine. | 想必观点和我截然不同 |
[09:37] | But I’d remind you, sir | 但是容我提醒你 |
[09:39] | That I have the following things to negotiate: An opposition congress | 我必须应付反对党把持的国会 |
[09:43] | A special interest with power beyond belief | 权力大到令人难以想像 的利益团体 |
[09:46] | And a bitchy media. | 还有难缠的媒体 |
[09:47] | So did harry truman. | 哈利杜鲁门也是 |
[09:49] | Well, I am not harry truman. | 我可不是哈利杜鲁门 |
[09:51] | Mr. Bartlet, you needn’t point out that fact. | 巴特勒先生 你无须指出此点事实 |
[09:57] | It’s “Dr. Bartlet”, your honor. | 是巴特勒博士,庭上 |
[10:01] | Now… | 现在…开始您的荣退仪式吧 |
[10:03] | Let’s go start your retirement. | |
[10:10] | Want my gloves? | 你要手套吗? |
[10:11] | No, thanks. | 不,谢谢 |
[10:12] | You look pretty cold. | 我会问是因为你看起来很冷 |
[10:13] | I’m fine. | 我还好 |
[10:15] | What do you suppose they’re talking about in there? | 你想他们在里面谈些什么? |
[10:16] | The president and justice crouch are old friends. | 总统跟柯若区法官是老朋友 |
[10:18] | The president and justice crouch can’t stand each other. | 总统跟柯若区受不了对方 这人今天要退休了 |
[10:20] | The man’s retiring today. It’s a courtesy call. | 这是礼貌性拜访 你到底想从我这儿得到什么 |
[10:22] | What do you want from me? Dinner and a movie. | 晚餐和一场电影 不行 |
[10:23] | No. You think crouch is pissed | 晚餐和一场电影 不行 |
[10:25] | ’cause the president already settled on harrison? | 你觉得柯若区是不是因为 总统决定任命哈里逊而不爽 |
[10:26] | Danny… I did it again! | 丹尼 我又犯了 |
[10:28] | Yes. But you know what you did? | 是的 但你知道你做了什么 |
[10:29] | What? You outfoxed me. | 什么? 你又智取了我 |
[10:30] | You’re killing me, you know that, danny? | 你真是烦死人了 你知道吗?丹尼 |
[10:32] | Here we go. | 开始了 |
[10:46] | That was inches from my head. Josh… | 离我的脑袋只有区区数�� 乔西 |
[10:48] | Inches. It was not inches. | 区区数�级�已 不只数�� |
[10:50] | It was inches– a little bit this way, a little bit that way… | 只有数�� |
[10:52] | ( snaps finger ): Bam, massive head wound. | 只要偏离几�� 我的头部就会受到重伤 |
[10:54] | You’re fine. | 你没事的 |
[10:55] | Yeah, but there, but for the grace of god… | 是啊,不过这可是老天的恩惠 |
[10:57] | You know what I’m saying? | 你知道我在说什么吗? |
[10:58] | Yes. | 是 |
[10:59] | I really think if big chunks of the ceiling | 我想如果天花板掉下一大块来 |
[11:01] | Are going to fall down on anyone, I don’t know… | 要击中在这儿的任何人… |
[11:04] | ( inhaling ) | 我不知道… |
[11:07] | What? | 什么? 应该是你才对 |
[11:08] | It should be you. | 我就知道你会这样说 |
[11:09] | Oh, I knew you were going to say that. | 我就知道你会这样说 |
[11:10] | From now on, before I come in in the morning | 从现在起 早上我还没进办公室前 |
[11:12] | I want you to test my office. | 我要你进来查看一下 |
[11:14] | Josh… | 乔西… 十分钟后幕僚集合 |
[11:15] | Staff in ten minutes. | 你看到没有? 有 |
[11:16] | You see this? Yeah. | 你看到没有? 有 |
[11:17] | Inches from my head. | 离我的脑袋只有几�� |
[11:19] | Why is peter lillienfield holding a press conference? | 为什么彼得李林菲德 要举行记者会 |
[11:21] | Who cares? I do. | 谁在乎? 我 |
[11:23] | Why is lillienfield holding a press conference? | 为什么李林菲德要举行记者会 |
[11:24] | I don’t know. Is he unhappy about something? | 我不知道 |
[11:27] | He’s always unhappy about something. | 他对什么事不高兴吗? 他总是有事惹他不高兴 |
[11:28] | Donna? Where’s my east asia memo?! | 唐娜,我的东亚备忘录呢 在这儿 |
[11:32] | It starts in two minutes. | 两分钟后开始 |
[11:33] | What starts in two minutes? | 什么东西两分钟后开始? |
[11:34] | Lillienfield’s press conference. | 李林菲德的记者会 |
[11:36] | ( shouts ): That’s okay, donna. | 没关系,唐娜 |
[11:37] | I’ll just come and get it myself. | 我自己过去拿算了 你等一下,乔西,我就来了 |
[11:40] | Josh? Mandy? | 乔西… ��蒂 |
[11:41] | I’m just saying that we don’t need any surprises today. | 我只是说 今天我们不需要任何意外 |
[11:44] | We’re not going to have any surprises today. | 我们今天不会有任何意外的 |
[11:45] | I’m putting on a show | 我已经把公关活动准备就绪 |
[11:46] | And I don’t want to get upstaged. | 我不想锋头被人给盖过 |
[11:48] | You’re not going to get upstaged. | 你不会被人盖过的 |
[11:51] | Here. | 给你 谢谢 |
[11:52] | Thank you. | 不客气 |
[11:52] | You’re welcome. | 不客气 |
[11:54] | You should be nice to me. | 你应该对我好一点 我差一点就没命的 |
[11:55] | I could be dead, you know. | 你应该对我好一点 我差一点就没命的 |
[11:57] | I don’t have that kind of luck. | 我可没有这种好运气 |
[12:00] | ( television playing ) | |
[12:01] | Yeah? | 什么事? |
[12:02] | I’d like you | 什么事? |
[12:03] | To play up that, as a lifelong democrat | 我想你可以强调 他虽然一辈子都是民主党员 |
[12:05] | He clerked for a republican, and I would like you to play down | 却曾帮共和党人做过助理 |
[12:07] | That he’s never written a judicial opinion on abortion | 对于他从未针对堕胎 提出司法观点和论述一事 |
[12:10] | Or revealed his thinking on roe. | 最好能略过不提 |
[12:12] | I’m already there. | 我已经这么做了 |
[12:13] | Well, thank you. | 谢谢 |
[12:15] | Who’s this? | 这是什么? |
[12:17] | Lillienfield’s talking about something | 李林菲德在谈论 |
[12:19] | That’s bothering him today. | 今天一些困扰他的事 |
[12:21] | what could possibly be less interesting? | 什么事? 我一点都不感兴趣 |
[12:24] | I’ll be in my office. | 我会在办公室里 |
[12:25] | Okay. | 好 |
[12:26] | Gone are the days of the best and the brightest. | 美好时光已经不再 |
[12:30] | Stained, I believe, are the legacies | 白宫幕僚的伟大传统已遭玷污 |
[12:31] | Of the great white house staffers. | |
[12:34] | Names like schlesinger, sorenson, rumsfeld | 诸如史兰辛吉、梭瑞逊 |
[12:38] | And persons have been replaced | 路兹菲德、皮尔逊等人 |
[12:39] | By a roster of ivy league liberals | 如今早已被长春藤自由主义者 |
[12:43] | And hollywood darlings, one in three of who– | 和好莱坞人士取代 |
[12:49] | One in three– | 而其中三分之一的人 |
[12:51] | Used drugs on a regular basis. | 有习惯性用药的恶习 |
[12:56] | And in case there should be any confusion about my meaning | 各位若是对我的话感到困惑 |
[13:00] | I’m not talking about aspirin or decongestants. | 我指的可不是阿斯匹灵 或是鼻炎喷剂 |
[13:03] | Members of my staff will be passing out | 我的幕僚会把 |
[13:05] | The most recent figures. | 最新数据交给大家 |
[13:06] | ( dialing ) get her. | 把她找来 |
[13:10] | C.j.? | 茜洁 |
[13:11] | Tell him I’m watching. | 告诉他我正在看 |
[13:13] | …and to ask who exactly is it that’s helping lead our country? | 我要请问各位 是谁在帮助总统领导国家 |
[13:17] | Who has the ear of the president… | 是谁可以上达天听 |
[13:20] | Advising the president? Leo: One in three? | 给总统意见? |
[13:24] | He said one in three | 三分之一? 是 |
[13:25] | White house staffers were on drugs? | 他说白宫有三分之一幕僚 |
[13:27] | Yes. Where does he get these stats? | 在嗑药? |
[13:29] | Leo… I mean, where does he pull them from? | 是 他从哪里得到的统计数字? 里奥… |
[13:31] | Out of the clear blue sky | 我是说他从哪儿得来的消息 |
[13:32] | But that doesn’t matter. | 突如其来谁晓得 |
[13:33] | Is somebody bringing me a tape on this? | 不过这不重要 |
[13:34] | They’re getting it. | 有没有人去帮我拿录影带 |
[13:35] | This isn’t happening to me. | 他们去拿了 |
[13:36] | Nothing’s happening. Stay cool. | 这种事怎么会发生在我身上? |
[13:38] | Is it possible for peter lillienfield | 没事的,保持冷静 |
[13:40] | To be a bigger jackass? | 李林菲德怎么会这么混蛋呢? |
[13:41] | You think if he tried hard there’s room for him | |
[13:43] | To be a slightly bigger horse’s ass | 看他这么努力 我想这会儿是不会 有人比他更混蛋了 |
[13:45] | Than he’s being now? | 我想这会儿是不会 有人比他更混蛋了 |
[13:46] | You hit your head on the ceiling. | 我想你是气得昏头了 |
[13:47] | I think there’s unexplored potential. What’s up? | 我想我还有更火大的潜力 |
[13:50] | Josh? | 什么事? 乔西 |
[13:51] | Five white house staffers in the room. | 在这房间里有五名白宫幕僚 |
[13:52] | I would like to say to the 1.6 of you | 在这房间里有五名白宫幕僚 |
[13:55] | Who are stoned right now that it’s time to share. | 我想对其中一点六个 嗑药神智不清的人说 |
[13:58] | Mandy: This isn’t funny, josh. | 现在是分享的时候了 |
[13:59] | Josh: If you can’t laugh | 这一点都不好笑,乔西 |
[14:00] | At this, you’re just not having | ��蒂,如果你笑不出来 |
[14:02] | Enough fun in show business. | 表示你不够幽默 |
[14:03] | Josh… He’s a featherweight. | 进不了演艺圈 乔西… |
[14:05] | He’s a hairdo. | 他的份量太轻,只是作秀罢了 |
[14:06] | Sam: I think if he put | |
[14:07] | His shoulder into it | 我想他充其量只是会说屁话 是的 |
[14:08] | He could be a slightly bigger gasbag. | 我想他充其量只是会说屁话 |
[14:09] | Yeah. If he really reached for the stars. | 是的 |
[14:12] | Morning. There was no way you saw this coming? | 他作秀过头了 早安 |
[14:14] | Toby… | 难道事前无法探听到消息吗? 托比 |
[14:15] | Leo, I know I’m in your office– forgive me– | 里奥 我知道我在你的办公室 |
[14:17] | ( yelling ): But nobody saw this coming? | 原谅我 |
[14:19] | Yeah, I can’t believe my psychic didn’t tell me, toby. | 但是居然没有人事前知道此事 |
[14:22] | Rest assured, I’m going to get my 20 bucks back. | 是啊,我真不敢相信 |
[14:25] | Short-term, long-term? | 我的灵媒居然没有告诉我 下次我会找她要回二十元 |
[14:26] | Short-term– nothing. | 近期和长期的应变回应? |
[14:27] | I can’t go with nothing. | 近期是不予理会 |
[14:29] | Josh: Why not? Pretend we didn’t see it? | 我不能不理会 |
[14:30] | He’s a liar. | 为什么? 假装我们没看到? |
[14:31] | He’s a fool. | 他说谎,又是个笨蛋 |
[14:32] | Categorically deny it and move on. | |
[14:34] | She can’t. | 一概否认,然后转谈其他话题 |
[14:35] | I can’t. Josh: Why not? | 她不能 |
[14:36] | Because more than 1,300 people work | 我不能 |
[14:38] | For the white house, josh. | 为什么? |
[14:39] | I go into the press room | 因为有超过一千三百人 在白宫工作 |
[14:41] | And categorically deny anyone uses drugs | 我到记者室去 |
[14:42] | And it turns out that three guys in the photo lab | 一概否认有人嗑药 |
[14:44] | Blew a joint over the weekend | 结果有三个人在照片冲洗室 |
[14:46] | Which is not, like, out of the realm of possibility | 吸鸦片度周末 |
[14:49] | And my next question is… | 这并非不可能的事情… |
[14:50] | You categorically denied it. | 我的下一个难题是… |
[14:51] | Now you admit there are three? | 你先是一概否认 |
[14:52] | Well, I categorically deny | 现在却又承认有三个人… |
[14:53] | There are any more than three. | 对,然后我又一概否认 除此三人之外,还有人嗑药 接下来白宫酒品副部长助理… 又对外供认她秘密吸毒 |
[14:55] | Mandy: But now the assistant to the deputy director | |
[14:58] | Of white house beverages | |
[14:58] | All right. Is confessing | |
[14:59] | To a life as a closet junkie. | |
[15:01] | C.j.: And she’s selling her story to random house | |
[15:03] | For a middle-six-figure advance. | 是,我想她会把她的故事 卖给蓝灯出版社 |
[15:05] | All right, are we done | 取得六位数字的订金 |
[15:06] | With masterpiece theatre? | 好,各位的白宫好戏结束了吗 |
[15:09] | C.j…. | |
[15:10] | We’re looking into it, okay? Yep. | 茜洁,我们会调查此事 |
[15:12] | That’s what we’re saying right now. | 好 |
[15:14] | I don’t care if we say that | 这就是现在我们的说法 |
[15:15] | But… We’re not actually looking into it, are we? | 我不在乎我们有什么说法 |
[15:20] | Yes. | 但是我们不会真正去调查吧 |
[15:21] | This is a joke, right? | 会的 |
[15:22] | Leo? | 这是笑话,是吧? |
[15:23] | Yeah? | 里奥 |
[15:24] | Toby? | 什么事? |
[15:25] | Yeah. | 托比 |
[15:30] | C.j., go do your briefing. | 好 |
[15:31] | The president paid a courtesy call on crouch this morning. | 茜洁去做你的简报 |
[15:34] | We’ve got some exciting names. | 总统今早礼貌性拜访柯若区 |
[15:35] | On the short list is ed harrison. | 我们的名单上已有 若干令人兴奋的人选 |
[15:37] | We’ll introduce the nominee thursday, 5:00. | 是哈里逊吗? |
[15:40] | This business with lillienfield… | 星期四下午五点 我们就会介绍提名人 |
[15:42] | I’ve heard about it. | 李林菲德的事… 我听说了 |
[15:43] | I’d like the chance to see it before I comment. | 不过我希望在仔细看过之后 再做任何评论 |
[15:44] | Is the president aware? | 不过我希望在仔细看过之后 再做任何评论 |
[15:46] | We keep these things off the president’s desk | 总统知道吗? |
[15:47] | Until we measure what credibility… | 我们先保留消息 |
[15:49] | Good girl. | 直到了解它的可信度之后 |
[15:49] | Toby, if the alternative is | 再告诉总统 好女孩 |
[15:51] | Getting harrison bumped from the top story… | 托比,这件事会让哈里逊 |
[15:52] | We’re not going to postpone. | 上不了头条 |
[15:53] | Let’s end this fast. How? | 我们不会延期的 |
[15:54] | You know how? No, I don’t. | 那就尽快解决这件事 |
[15:56] | Mandy… What I am saying is… | 怎么解决 你知道的 我不知道 ��蒂… |
[15:58] | Go back to work, mandy. | 我是说… |
[15:58] | No, hang on a second. | 我是说… 回去工作,��蒂 |
[15:59] | I want to hear what… Hey. | 不,等一下 我想听… |
[16:01] | Go back to work. | 回去工作 |
[16:02] | Lillienfield is walking on our stage | |
[16:03] | And he’s not going to get off until he gets off | 李林菲德霸占了舞台 |
[16:05] | Is what I’m saying. | 除非他玩够了 否则不会轻易离开 |
[16:06] | We are not taking drug tests. | 这就是我的意思 |
[16:07] | Why not? | 我们不做药物测试 |
[16:08] | Because we’re not! | 为什么? 因为我们不做 |
[16:09] | Toby, let’s end this. | 托比,快解决这件事 |
[16:10] | Toby, if you… Shut up. | 托比,快解决这件事 |
[16:12] | Go. | 托比,如果你… |
[16:13] | Sam, go back to doing what you’re doing. | 闭嘴,你走吧 |
[16:15] | They just delivered five cartons of harrison’s old papers. | 山姆,回去做你的事 |
[16:18] | Then go start reading. | 他们刚送来五盒 哈里逊的旧文件 |
[16:20] | Toby… | 那就去看啊 |
[16:21] | What do we know? | 托比… 去查出他们知道些什么 |
[16:21] | What do they know? | 托比… |
[16:23] | Now, wait, hang on a second. | 去查出他们知道些什么 |
[16:24] | Josh… You’re not making me… | 等一下,你不会是叫我… |
[16:26] | I’m not going to be the internal affairs cop around here. | 我不想成为这里的内务警察 |
[16:28] | Yes, you are. You want to know who’s doing what around here | 是,你非做不可 |
[16:29] | You ask them yourself. | 你想知道是谁在这里搞鬼 |
[16:30] | This isn’t the time, josh. | 你自己去问他们 |
[16:32] | We’re taking water over the side. | 现在不是时候 |
[16:33] | And I’m not indifferent to that | 我们不能坐视不管… |
[16:34] | But there is a principle here… | 我并非漠不关心 |
[16:36] | No, there’s not, not this week. | 不过这里的原则是… |
[16:37] | We’ve been doing this a year. | 不,不行 这个星期原则也得破例 |
[16:38] | All we’ve gotten is a year older. | 我们到这里工作一年了 我们的收获只是老了一岁 |
[16:40] | Our job approval’s 48% and I think that number’s soft | 我们的民意支持度是 百分之四十八 |
[16:42] | And I’m tired of being the field captain | 我觉得这个数字差劲透了 |
[16:44] | For the gang that couldn’t shoot straight! | 我已经厌倦手下尽是一些 |
[16:46] | We’re getting this done! | 状况百出的人 |
[16:52] | What do we know? | 我们要把工作给做好 |
[16:53] | What do they know? | 去查出他们知道些什么 |
[16:53] | Start with me, if you want. | 去查出他们知道些什么 如果你想要的话 |
[17:04] | ( phone rings ) | 可以从我开始 “星期二早上” |
[17:06] | Hello? | 哈��,我是山姆希朋 |
[17:07] | This is sam seaborn. | 哈��,我是山姆希朋 |
[17:14] | What’s your name? | 你的大名是… |
[17:17] | I’m not a cop. | 我不是警察,你的大名是… |
[17:18] | What’s your name? | |
[17:21] | Where are you right now? | 你现在在哪儿? |
[17:25] | All right, I’m the only one in my office | 好的,我办公室只有我 |
[17:27] | But as soon as my secretary ge… | 但只要我的秘书进… |
[17:29] | You know what? | 你知道,等一下 我马上过去 |
[17:30] | Hang on. | 你知道,等一下 |
[17:31] | I’m on my way. Ow. | 我马上过去 |
[17:39] | A quick confirmation’s going to be good for us. | 迅速认可会对我们有益 |
[17:41] | Ritter says we’ll get unanimous approval | 瑞特尔说我们会得到 |
[17:43] | Out of committee and 90 votes in the senate. | 司法委员会一致许可 还有参议院的九十票 |
[17:44] | That’s a blowout, leo… Mm-hmm. | 这可是一顿大餐啊,里奥 |
[17:46] | Just what the doctor ordered. Thank you. | 正如医生的指示,谢了 |
[17:48] | Morning, mrs. Landingham. | 早安,蓝丁汉太太 |
[17:50] | Good morning, mr. President. | 晚安,总统先生 |
[17:51] | Both: Good morning. | 早安 早安 哈里逊什么时候到? |
[17:52] | When is harrison getting in? | 哈里逊什么时候到? |
[17:53] | Late tonight. | 今天晚上 好 |
[17:54] | Good. Morning, charlie. | 早安,查理 早安,总统 |
[17:56] | Good morning, mr. President. | 佩顿卡布哈里逊 查出他喜欢何种雪茄 |
[17:57] | Peyton cabot harrison– | 佩顿卡布哈里逊 |
[17:59] | Find out what kind of cigars he likes | 查出他喜欢何种雪茄 |
[18:01] | What kind of perfume his wife likes | 他太太喜欢哪种香水 |
[18:03] | And have them sent over to their hotel, okay? | 派人送到他的饭店去 |
[18:05] | Back channels, sir? | 非正式管道是吗? 是的 |
[18:05] | Yeah. | 非正式管道是吗? 是的 |
[18:06] | They’ll stake the hotels. | 媒体会守在饭店外 |
[18:07] | Gifts coming from… | 从白宫送礼过去… 我们会用非正式管道 |
[18:08] | We’re using back channels. | 从白宫送礼过去… 我们会用非正式管道 |
[18:09] | What is going on with lillienfield? | 李林菲德有什么事… |
[18:12] | You’re staying out of it. | 你不要管 |
[18:13] | Fine. | 好的 |
[18:14] | Anything else? | 还有其他事吗? |
[18:16] | We’re going to get this done, right? | 我们会完成这事,对吧 是的 |
[18:17] | Yes, sir. All right. | 太好了 |
[18:19] | Mr. President…. | 总统先生 我这就来了 |
[18:20] | I’m on my way. | 谢谢,总统先生 谢谢你 |
[18:21] | Thank you, mr. President. | 谢谢,总统先生 |
[18:22] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[18:24] | Leo… | 里奥 |
[18:25] | Yes, sir? | 什么事? |
[18:26] | We looked at everybody, right? | 我们考虑过每个人,对吧 |
[18:27] | Sir? | 先生? |
[18:28] | The short list– we looked at mendoza? | 大法官名单 我们有考虑孟道萨吗? |
[18:30] | We looked at him. | 有,我们考虑过他 里奥… |
[18:31] | Leo… We fixed on harrison. | 最后敲定哈理逊 |
[18:32] | Aw, you’re right. | 你说得对 |
[18:34] | I’ll see you later. Yes, sir. | 待会儿见了 |
[18:36] | ( sighs ) | 是 |
[18:38] | Good morning, gentlemen. | 早安,各位 抱歉让你们久等,走吧 |
[18:39] | Sorry to keep you waiting. | 早安,各位 |
[18:40] | Let’s go. | 抱歉让你们久等,走吧 |
[18:41] | Morning. Morning. | 早安,早安 |
[18:45] | Hang on a second. | 等一下 |
[18:49] | Morning. | 早安,坐着就好 |
[18:50] | Keep your seats. | 早安,坐着就好 |
[18:51] | Good morning. | 早安,总统先生 早安 |
[18:52] | Morning. | 早安,总统先生 早安 |
[18:55] | Morning, toby. | 早安,托比 |
[18:56] | Morning, sir. Do this for me. | 早安,托比 |
[18:57] | Put together some information on roberto mendoza. | 早安,先生,帮我做件事 收集一下孟道萨的资料 |
[19:00] | Sir, th… It’s natural to have second thoughts, but… | 先生,另有考虑是很自然的事 但是… |
[19:04] | I want to be able to know something. | 我只想知道一些事情而已 |
[19:05] | There’ll be a lot of questions. | 我们会碰上一大堆问题 |
[19:06] | I don’t want it to be like | 我只是不想在名单上 |
[19:08] | We had a hispanic on the short list. | 拿西裔人士来陪榜 |
[19:09] | What is it you’re looking for, sir? | 你想知道什么? |
[19:11] | The reason we didn’t go with him. | 我们没有选他的原因 |
[19:12] | The reason we didn’t, sir, is ’cause harrison said, “Yes.” | 我们没有选他的原因 是因为哈理逊点头说好 |
[19:14] | Let’s do better than that. | 应该有比这个要好的理由吧 |
[19:16] | Yes, sir. | 是 |
[19:17] | Oh, what’s going on with this drug thing? | 嗑药事件是怎么回事? |
[19:19] | You don’t want a piece of that. | 你不会想知道的 |
[19:21] | All right, I’ll trust you. | 好的,我相信你,谢谢 |
[19:22] | Thanks. | |
[19:24] | Good morning, mr. President. | 早安,总统先生 早安,山姆 |
[19:25] | Good morning, sam. | 早安,总统先生 早安,山姆 |
[19:26] | Toby… | 托比… 他要我调查孟道萨 |
[19:27] | He wants me to look at… Mendoza. | 托比… |
[19:29] | What…? | 他要我调查孟道萨 |
[19:30] | I got a phone call before | 我之前接到一名男子 |
[19:32] | From a guy with some information. I just picked it up. | 打电话来提供资料 |
[19:35] | I read it on the way back. It’s not good. | 我去拿了资料 回来的路上我看了一下 十分不妙 是有关药物的事? |
[19:37] | Is it the drugs? | 不是 |
[19:38] | No. | 不是 那是什么? 是哈理逊的事 |
[19:38] | What is it? | 那是什么? |
[19:39] | It’s harrison. | 是哈理逊的事 |
[19:41] | Close the door. | 把门关上 |
[19:49] | It’s called an “Unsigned note.” | 这叫做不具名札记 |
[19:50] | Every member of law review | 法律评论会的每一位会员 |
[19:51] | Is required to prepare one. | 都要准备一份 |
[19:53] | It’s like an article. | 就像是一篇文章… 我知道什么是不具名札记 |
[19:54] | It’s 40 or so pages, well-researched | 它有四十多页 |
[19:56] | Footnoted, and revised | 有充分研究、注解 |
[19:57] | With faculty supervision, then it’s published. | 还有教授们的监督、校订 然后再出版 |
[19:59] | Without the names. | 不具名 |
[20:01] | Without the names, it’s a scholarly work. | 不具名,这是学术作品 |
[20:03] | How do we know harrison…? | 我们怎么知道哈理逊 托比… |
[20:05] | What, I’m supposed to just trust “The guy on the phone”? | 难道我应该相信 电话中的男子吗 |
[20:07] | I spent the last three months | 我已经花了三个月 |
[20:09] | Reading everything harrison’s written | 阅读哈理逊写的东西 |
[20:10] | From decisions to memos to amicus briefs, toby. | 从判决书、备忘录到简报书 |
[20:12] | He’s the author of the unsigned note. | 托比 他就是不具名札记的作者 |
[20:19] | Bonnie. | 邦妮… |
[20:26] | Yeah? | 什么事? |
[20:27] | I’m going to need the next five minutes | 我需要尽快跟总统见面 |
[20:28] | The president’s got. | |
[20:29] | Yeah. | |
[20:34] | How does lillienfield get his information? | 李林菲德如何得到消息的 |
[20:36] | He’s on the house government oversight committee. | 他是众议院 白宫监督委员的一员 |
[20:38] | These are the people who literally decide | 白宫能不能有暖气和电力 |
[20:40] | If we get heat and electricity in the white house. | 都是由这些�砘锞龆� |
[20:42] | So they have access | 所以他们有内幕管道吗? |
[20:43] | To background information? Yes. | 对 |
[20:45] | Josh? Yeah? | 乔西 |
[20:47] | You shouldn’t feel uncomfortable | 你要和我约谈话 |
[20:48] | About interviewing me. | 不必觉得不自在 |
[20:49] | I met you, I talked to you, I hired you. | 我见过你,和你谈过,雇用你 |
[20:52] | You know anybody around here who uses drugs? | 你知道这儿谁嗑药吗? |
[20:53] | Yes. | 是 |
[20:55] | You want to tell me who they are? | 你想告诉我他们是谁吗? 不想 |
[20:56] | No. Good for you. | 很好,你就算被约谈过了 |
[20:57] | Consider yourself interviewed. | |
[20:58] | You’re a good boy, josh. | 你是个好人,乔西 |
[20:59] | I’ve seen your records. | 唐娜,我已经看过你的记录了 我知道 |
[21:02] | You need to learn that “No parking” Means “No parking.” | 你得晓得,不准停车 就是不准停车 |
[21:03] | The thing is, sometimes I can’t find a space. | 问题是我有时找不到车位 |
[21:06] | Go to work. | 去工作吧 |
[21:08] | We have everyone take a drug test | 每个人都要作药物测试 |
[21:10] | And be done with it. | |
[21:11] | What makes you think | 你何以认为这儿的人 |
[21:12] | That everyone here can pass a drug test? | 都能通过药物测试 |
[21:14] | The ones who can’t already know it | 过不了的人会安静地辞职 |
[21:15] | And will quietly resign. Okay. Problem solved. | 好的,问题解决了 |
[21:18] | What is wrong, in this day and age | 这年头证明白宫是无毒品的 |
[21:20] | With demonstrating that the white house is drug free? | 有错吗 |
[21:22] | What is wrong with giving people that comfort? | 让人民安心,这有什么错? |
[21:24] | I would think that, in this day and age | 我认为在这年头人民知道 |
[21:26] | People would be more comfortable Knowing that the will not now, nor will they ever be | 自己有保障,不必被迫交出 |
[21:30] | Forced to turn over evidence against themselves. | 对自己不利的证据 会更加安心 |
[21:32] | And please, do not try and paint your position | 拜托,你只是想确保 |
[21:35] | As anything other than preservation of a spotlight. | 你的事情成为头条焦点 |
[21:37] | This thing gets bungled | 所以别说什么冠冕堂皇的理由 |
[21:39] | And we’re not going to have to struggle much | 事情要是搞砸了 不必费心就势必成为焦点 |
[21:40] | To find the spotlight. | 事情要是搞砸了 不必费心就势必成为焦点 |
[21:47] | So what do you think is really going on here? | 你觉得这到底是怎么回事? |
[21:49] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[21:51] | I don’t know either. | 我也不知道 |
[21:52] | That’s what makes me nervous. | 这就是教我紧张的地方 |
[21:53] | What do I do? | 我该怎么做? |
[21:56] | It’s time to talk | 该去找该谈的人了 |
[21:57] | To whoever it is you talk to. | |
[22:01] | Yeah. | 对 |
[22:10] | Is there any reason to believe | 是否有任何理由足以相信 |
[22:11] | That white house staffers regularly use illegal drugs? | 白宫同仁经常性使用非法药物 |
[22:15] | For those who didn’t understand me the first nine times | 给这些第九次 不了解我说话的人 |
[22:17] | We are looking into this. | 我们正在调查 |
[22:19] | C.j., would you forgive a blunt question? | 茜洁… 你可否容忍我再问一个 鲁莽的问题 |
[22:21] | These questions haven’t been blunt yet? | 这些问题还不算鲁莽吗 |
[22:23] | Do you use drugs? | 你有嗑药吗 |
[22:25] | No, and you’re forgiven. | 没有,原谅你了 |
[22:26] | It’s been 24 hours | 李林菲德做出指控 |
[22:28] | Since congressman lillienfield made his accusations. | 已经二十四小时了,茜洁 |
[22:30] | When is the white house…? | 白宫何时… |
[22:32] | We’ve got over 1,300 people on the payroll, chris. | 我们有超过一千三百名同仁 |
[22:33] | That’s a lot of information to gather | 柯里丝,有很多资料要收集 |
[22:35] | And it’s not like we were loaded with free time before. | 我们平日就已经够忙了 |
[22:37] | And let me just add that | 容我补充说明 |
[22:39] | As no one and nothing here has been subpoenaed | 这里没有任何人受到法院传唤 |
[22:41] | And as mr. Lillienfield has offered nothing | 李林菲德先生又没有对 |
[22:42] | To support his very bizarre claim | 此一奇怪的指控 |
[22:44] | We’re not feeling a real need | 提出任何一丝证据 |
[22:45] | To get this done in a hurry. | 我们并不认为有必要 迅速处理此事 |
[22:47] | Thanks. That’s all. | 茜洁,再一个问题 谢谢,到此为止 |
[22:53] | Set fire to the room. | 放火烧了这房间吧 |
[22:54] | Do it now. | 现在就去 |
[23:02] | How you doing? | 你好吗? |
[23:03] | What do you want? | 你要做什么? |
[23:04] | It was a bit of a blunder back there. | 你刚才有点失策 |
[23:05] | It was fine. | 还好 |
[23:06] | You challenged lillienfield to present evidence. | 你挑战了李林菲尔德 要他提出证据 |
[23:08] | He knows his cue when he hears it. | 他胸有成竹,早有线索 |
[23:09] | I left my notebook somewhere. | 我的笔记本掉在哪儿了 |
[23:10] | Did you really want to be the first person | 你真的想成为第一个使用 |
[23:12] | To use the word “Subpoena”? | “传唤”字眼的人吗? |
[23:14] | It’s the only word anybody’s going to read tomorrow. | 在刚才的状况下… 我不在乎什么状况 这是大家明天只会看到 这个字眼 |
[23:17] | I really don’t need your tips, danny. | 我真的不需要你的恩惠,丹尼 |
[23:19] | As a matter of fact, you do, c.j. | 事实上你需要,茜洁 |
[23:20] | But that’s not why I’m here. | 但那不是我来这儿的原因 你为何来这儿? |
[23:21] | I’m here because the new york knickerbockers | 我来这是因为纽约尼克蓝球队 |
[23:23] | Are playing in town tomorrow night. | 明晚在华府有球赛 |
[23:25] | I don’t have time to go to a basketball game. | 我才没空去看球赛 我也是 |
[23:26] | Neither do i, so we’ll watch it | 所以我想我们可以在 你的办公室里看球 |
[23:27] | In your office, while I explain it | 所以我想我们可以在 你的办公室里看球 |
[23:29] | In a patronizing manner | 由我以趾高气扬的方式 来帮你做现场解说 |
[23:30] | ’cause it’s something women usually like. | 我知道有些女人喜欢这样 |
[23:32] | Thank you anyway. | 总之谢谢你 |
[23:34] | You understand I’ll talk slow | 你知道我会解说得很慢 |
[23:35] | And explain it in a way a girl would appreciate. | 用一般女人喜欢的方式来解说 |
[23:38] | Danny. | 丹尼,有空吗? |
[23:41] | You got a minute? | |
[23:45] | Walk me to my car. | 陪我走到车上 |
[23:50] | Josh, the information I get, I have to print. | 乔西,我有消息就必须刊登 |
[23:53] | Do you have any information? | 你有消息吗? 没有 |
[23:54] | No. | 如果你有消息,会告诉我吗? |
[23:55] | Would you tell me if you did? | 如果你有消息,会告诉我吗? |
[23:56] | What kind of information? | 什么样的消息? |
[23:57] | You know what kind. | 你知道是什么样的消息 |
[23:58] | You know no one knows where I got it. | 你知道不会有人晓得 我是从何得知的 |
[24:00] | Why are you allowed to take the high road | 为什么你可以保密 |
[24:01] | And I’m supposed to hand over any information I get? | 而我就必须提供我得到的消息 |
[24:03] | You’re right. I know I’m right. | 你说得对 我知道我说得对 |
[24:04] | I’m sorry about that. | 很抱歉 我的工作不是去帮助你 |
[24:05] | It’s not my job to help you out. | 很抱歉 我的工作不是去帮助你 |
[24:07] | I get fired from my job for helping you out. | 事实上,我会因为 助你一臂之力而被炒鱿鱼 |
[24:09] | I know that. | 我知道 |
[24:13] | Lillienfield is a jackass | 李林菲德是个混蛋,但他不笨 |
[24:14] | But he’s not stupid. | |
[24:16] | If he’s talking, he’s got something. | 如果他已开口 表示他确实知道一些事 |
[24:17] | What? | 什么事? |
[24:18] | Whatever it is, it’s small potatoes– | 什么事? |
[24:20] | Just enough to get the rock rolling down the mountain. | 无论什么事,都只是小事 不足以有太大影响 |
[24:22] | What’s he trying to hit? | 他的目的到底是什么? |
[24:24] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[24:25] | Is it the nomination? | 是大法官提名吗 |
[24:26] | That’s what I thought, too | 我本来也这么想 |
[24:27] | But harrison’s going to sail by, no matter what. | 不过哈理逊无论如何 都会被提名 |
[24:29] | No one said it’s harrison. | 没人说是哈理逊 |
[24:30] | Yeah, yeah. My point is this– | 是,是 |
[24:33] | He’s not going to waste it on a done deal. | 我的意思是他不会浪费 在已经抵定的事情上 |
[24:36] | He’s after something better. | 他另有盘算 |
[24:40] | Okay. Thanks. | 好,谢谢 |
[24:42] | Josh, this is one | 乔西,这件事是重要关键 |
[24:44] | Of those times, man. Don’t screw this up. | 不要搞砸了 |
[24:48] | C.j. Likes goldfish. | 茜洁喜欢金鱼 |
[24:51] | What? | 什么? |
[24:52] | She likes goldfish. | 茜洁喜欢金鱼 |
[24:53] | Can’t get enough of them. | 永远都不嫌多 |
[24:55] | Thanks. Yeah. | 谢谢 |
[24:58] | President: here’s an interesting statement. | 这里有一句话很有意思 |
[25:00] | “I join judge black insomuch as, while enjoying my privacy | 我同意布莱克法官 我虽然享有隐私权 |
[25:04] | “I am compelled to admit | 但是却不得不承认 |
[25:06] | “That government has a right to invade it | 政府有权侵犯隐私权 |
[25:08] | “Unless specifically prohibited | 除非有明确的宪法条款 |
[25:09] | By some specific constitutional provision.” | 加以明文禁止 |
[25:13] | Mr. President, this paper is, in no uncertain terms | 总统先生 |
[25:15] | An argument that privacy is not a right | 这份文件十分明确地主张 |
[25:17] | Guaranteed by the constitution. | 隐私权不受宪法保障 |
[25:19] | Why hasn’t this ever been brought up? | 为什么这问题之前没有提出来 |
[25:20] | It never came up, sir. | 没有人提过 |
[25:21] | We spent two months vetting our home run nominee | 我们花了两个月调查 我们十拿九稳的提名人 |
[25:24] | He doesn’t believe in a privacy guarantee | 他不支持隐私权的保障 |
[25:26] | And it never came up? | 结果没有人提出来 |
[25:27] | It was simply never an issue | 在他所做的判决中 |
[25:29] | In any ruling he handed down. | 并没有隐私权议题 |
[25:30] | And, if I may, sir, we don’t know | 容我说一句话 |
[25:31] | For sure that he’s the author of the document. | 我们还没确定 他就是这份文件的作者 |
[25:33] | We do know. | 我们确实知道 如果是他 |
[25:34] | If he is, we can’t necessarily hold | 我们总不能要一个55岁老人 |
[25:36] | A 55-year-old man responsible for something | 托比… |
[25:38] | He wrote when he was 26. | 为他在26岁时 写的东西负责任 |
[25:39] | We won’t be able to hold him responsible | 我们不要他负责 |
[25:41] | If we put him on the bench | 而是要把他送上大法官席 |
[25:42] | Where, I promise you, this issue is going to come up. | 我保证这个议题一定会被提起 |
[25:49] | When does harrison get in? | 哈理逊什么时候来? |
[25:51] | Later tonight. | 今晚 |
[25:52] | I want him first thing in the morning. | 我明天一早要见他 是 |
[25:54] | Yes, sir. When was the last time either of you slept? | 我不管你们两人之前 |
[25:56] | I don’t care. | 已经有多久没睡了 |
[25:57] | Get ready for this. | 明天之前给我准备好 |
[25:59] | Yes, sir. | 是的,先生 |
[26:00] | Thank you, mr. President. | 谢谢,总统先生 |
[26:02] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢,先生 |
[26:03] | $17 billion isn’t going to fly. | 一百七十亿是不可能的 |
[26:05] | They’re going to say it’s too much at 13.5. | 他们会说一百三十五亿 |
[26:09] | Excuse me. | 就已经太高了 |
[26:11] | Give us the room. | 抱歉,请你们回避一下 |
[26:17] | I want to meet mendoza. | 我想见孟道萨 |
[26:21] | Yes, sir. | 是的 “星期三早上” |
[26:36] | Does mendoza know why he’s coming here? | 孟道萨知道他为何来此吗? |
[26:38] | He thinks he’s interviewing for a place | 他以为是为了出任 |
[26:40] | On the president’s commission for hispanic opportunity. | 总统的西裔人士委员会 而来接受约谈 |
[26:45] | Is there such a thing as the president’s…? | 有西裔人士委员会这样的… |
[26:46] | It’s the best I could do on short notice, toby. Fine. | 是我临时想出的藉口 |
[26:50] | I had to make a letterhead. | 我还弄了信纸抬头呢 |
[26:52] | That must have taxed Your considerable creativity. | 想必发挥了你的创意 |
[26:54] | Toby. | 托比… |
[26:55] | That’s fine. | 好 |
[26:58] | First things first. | 哈理逊法官,我们开门见山 |
[26:59] | Are you the author of this unsigned note? Well, yes, sir. | 你是此不具名札记的作者吗 |
[27:10] | When I was 26, I wrote a paper | 是的 |
[27:12] | Supporting the deregulation of far east trade barriers. | 当我二十六岁时写了一篇 |
[27:16] | I nearly got thrown out | 支持解除远东贸易门槛的报告 |
[27:17] | Of the london school of economics. | 差一点就被 伦敦经济学院给开除 |
[27:19] | I was young and stupid, and trying to make some noise. | 我当时年轻又愚蠢 只想炒话题 |
[27:23] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[27:25] | I’m going to bring toby ziegler and sam seaborn in here | 我想找托比齐格和山姆希朋 |
[27:28] | And talk about this a little bit. | 一起来讨论一下这件事 |
[27:29] | That’s fine, sir. | 好的 |
[27:31] | Okay. Charlie, please? | 查理,麻烦你 |
[27:36] | Toby. | 托比 |
[27:37] | Yeah? | 什么事? |
[27:38] | You got a minute? | 有空吗? |
[27:40] | They’re about to call me in. | 他们马上要找我进去了 |
[27:44] | Privacy? | 隐私权? |
[27:47] | We don’t know. | |
[27:48] | He doesn’t acknowledge the protection? | 我们不知道… 他不认同保障隐私权? |
[27:50] | When were you going to tell me this? | 等一下… 你什么时候才要告诉我? |
[27:52] | Number one: I don’t report to you. | 第一,我不用向你报告 托比 |
[27:54] | Number two: He wrote the paper a quarter century ago. | 第二,这份文件是 25年前写的 |
[27:56] | He hasn’t changed his mind. | 他的想法丝毫没变 |
[27:58] | We don’t know if he’s changed his mind. | 我们不知道他是否有改变 |
[28:00] | You don’t care whether he changed his mind or not. | 你不在乎他是否改变主意 |
[28:02] | You’re painting a picture for the president. | 你这是在帮总统做主 |
[28:06] | The president can paint his own picture. | 总统可以自己做主 |
[28:08] | Yeah, but he listens to you. | 但是他听你的 |
[28:14] | When did we get the idea that harrison was our guy? | 我们是什么时候认定 哈理逊是我们的人选? |
[28:19] | When we used to talk | 我们之前讨论过 |
[28:20] | It was never harrison. | 从来没有说过是哈理逊 |
[28:24] | Toby. | 托比 |
[28:26] | Yeah? | 什么事? 他们在等你了 |
[28:27] | They’re ready for you. | 什么事? |
[28:45] | ( knocking on door ) | 他们在等你了 |
[28:47] | Leo. Yeah? | 里奥 什么事? |
[28:49] | Josh was wondering if you had a moment. | 乔西问你是否有空 |
[28:52] | Yeah. | 有 |
[28:58] | Leo. | 里奥 |
[28:59] | Hey. | |
[29:04] | I guess you’re the guy | 我想本周白宫最差劲的工作 是落到你身上了 |
[29:05] | With the worst job in the building this week, hmm? | 我想本周白宫最差劲的工作 是落到你身上了 |
[29:10] | I was interrogating this intern | 我约谈立法联络室一位助理时 |
[29:12] | From the legislative liaison’s office | |
[29:15] | And she broke down crying | |
[29:16] | While telling me about a bong | 她告诉我 |
[29:18] | She had made out of an eggplant. | 她用茄子做成大麻烟卷时 痛哭失声 |
[29:20] | You can do that? | 可以用茄子吗? |
[29:22] | I used to use a potato. | 我以前都是用马铃薯 |
[29:23] | you’ve always been industrious. | 你向来很有巧思 |
[29:28] | Lillienfield’s not after the kid | 李林菲德要穷追猛打的 |
[29:30] | In that liaison’s office | 不是联络室菜鸟 |
[29:32] | And he’s not even after the senior staff. | 也不是高级幕僚 |
[29:35] | Yeah? | 是啊 |
[29:38] | Leo, you know that the worst-kept secret in washington | 里奥,你知道在华府 最大的公开秘密就是… |
[29:43] | Is that you’re a recovering alcoholic, right? | 你是已经戒了酒的酗酒者 对吧 |
[29:48] | I had a hunch. | 我猜也猜得出来 |
[29:53] | Leo, you’re boston irish-catholic. | 里奥,你是波士顿 爱尔兰裔的天主教徒 |
[29:57] | Back there and back then | 当年在那个地方 |
[29:59] | A drinking problem wasn’t a problem. | 酗酒根本不是问题 |
[30:02] | This isn’t what he’s after. | 他穷追猛打的不是这个 |
[30:06] | Were you, maybe, into something | 也许你有其他不好的恶习 |
[30:08] | That wasn’t so… Acceptable? | |
[30:16] | Pills. | 药物 |
[30:19] | Were you in treatment? | 你接受过治疗吗? |
[30:23] | Sierra tucson, six years ago. | 六年前在土桑山 |
[30:26] | Oh, yeah. | 里奥 这些机构的病历是保密的 |
[30:27] | Records kept by these facilities | 里奥 |
[30:29] | Are confidential, josh. | 这些机构的病历是保密的 |
[30:31] | He’s got them. | 他取得了病历记录 |
[30:39] | You’re leo mcgarry. | 你是里奥马加瑞 |
[30:43] | You’re not going to be taken down by this… Small fraction of a man. | 你不会被这小人给打倒的 |
[30:52] | I won’t permit it. | 我不会允许的 |
[31:04] | Judges are bound to interpret the constitution | 法官必须严格参照 |
[31:07] | Within the strict parameters of the text itself. | 宪法条文内的字句 去解释宪法 |
[31:11] | The constitution doesn’t provide for a right of privacy. | 宪法并未提供隐私权 |
[31:14] | The right doesn’t exist. The third amendment says | 这项权利不存在 |
[31:17] | Soldiers can’t be quartered in private homes. | 第三条修正案说 军人不得进住私人住家 |
[31:19] | The fifth provides protection against self-incrimination | 第五条修正案认定 自首证词不合法 |
[31:21] | And the fourth against unreasonable searches. | 第四条修正案 反对不合理搜查 |
[31:23] | Do you deny the right to privacy lives in those passages? | 你否认这些条款 提供了隐私权吗? |
[31:26] | No, I do not deny it | 不,我并不否认 |
[31:27] | But the fact that the framers enumerated | 但是起草宪法的人详述出 |
[31:30] | Those specific protections | 人民应享有的各种保障 |
[31:32] | Is all the more reason to believe | 让我们更有理由相信 |
[31:33] | That they had no intention | 他们无意让隐私权 |
[31:35] | Of making privacy a de facto right. | 成为既定权利 |
[31:38] | They just fought a revolution. | 革命才刚成功 |
[31:39] | They had no question of their freedoms. | 他们对于自己的自由 并没有丝毫疑问 |
[31:41] | The bill of rights was meant to codify | 权利法案是来规定其中 |
[31:42] | The most crucial of those rights | 最重要的权利 |
[31:44] | Not to limit the others. | 而不是去限制其他权利 |
[31:45] | I do this for a living, mr. Seaborn. | 我以此为生,希朋先生 |
[31:49] | So do i, your honor. | 我也是,庭上 |
[31:50] | President: Peyton, do I have the right | 佩顿,我有没有权利 |
[31:53] | To put on an ugly plaid jacket and a loud polka-dot tie | 穿上恶丑的格子外套 |
[31:56] | And walk down main street? Yes. | 和大圆点领带走在大街上 |
[32:01] | And where in the constitution is that right guaranteed? | 有 宪法哪一条保障此一权利? |
[32:03] | First amendment, freedom of expression. | 第一条修正案表达的自由 |
[32:05] | What about the use of cream in my coffee? | 在咖啡中加奶精呢? |
[32:09] | Surely there can be no free speech argument | 这就绝对没有 |
[32:11] | To be made there? | 自由言论的争论了 |
[32:12] | No. | 没有 |
[32:14] | So you have no objection to the state | 所以你对新罕布什州通过 |
[32:16] | Of new hampshire passing a law | |
[32:18] | Banning the use of cream in coffee? | 禁止咖啡内放奶精的法案 没有任何异议? |
[32:20] | I would have strong objection, mr. President | 我强烈反对,总统先生 |
[32:22] | As I like cream as well. | 我也喜欢奶精 |
[32:24] | But I would have no constitutional basis | 但是当此一案例 |
[32:26] | To strike down the law | 送交最高法院时 |
[32:27] | When you brought your case to the supreme court. | 我并没有宪法的依据 来推翻此案 |
[32:30] | As I lose the votes of coffee drinkers everywhere. | 我就会失去所有 |
[32:34] | ( chuckles ) | 咖啡爱好者的选票了 |
[32:37] | Hey. | |
[32:38] | Hey. | |
[32:39] | What are you doing? | 你在做什么? |
[32:41] | You were right. | 你说对了 |
[32:42] | I know. | 我知道 |
[32:44] | The word subpoena appears in the lead | 传唤这个字眼出现在 |
[32:45] | In every story in this morning’s papers. | 今天各早报的头版 |
[32:46] | I know. Not yours. | 我知道 |
[32:48] | That’s ’cause I couldn’t spell it. | 你所属报社就没有 那是因为我不会拼这个字 |
[32:51] | What are you holding? | 你拿的是什么东西? 一条金鱼 |
[32:52] | It’s a goldfish. Why? | 你拿的是什么东西? 一条金鱼 |
[32:54] | It’s for you. | 做什么? 送你的 |
[32:56] | Really? | 真的? |
[32:58] | Josh said you liked goldfish. | 乔西说你喜欢金鱼 |
[33:02] | ( laughing ) | |
[33:09] | The crackers, danny. The cheese things that you have at a party? | 那是指饼干,丹尼 |
[33:15] | ( laughing ) ah. Well… You know what? | 是派对上吃的乳酪饼干 |
[33:19] | I’m not a hundred percent sure | 我不十分确定我应该知道 |
[33:20] | I was supposed to know that. The crackers, danny. | 是饼干,丹尼 |
[33:23] | Well, fine. Now I got a goldfish. | 好,这下害我买了一条金鱼 |
[33:25] | ( laughing ) | |
[33:27] | Give it to me. | 给我 不,不,不 |
[33:28] | No, no, no. No, you’ll kill it. | 给我 不,不,不 不,你会杀了她 你认为我不会照顾金鱼 |
[33:30] | You think I can’t take care of a goldfish? | 不,你会杀了她 你认为我不会照顾金鱼 |
[33:31] | I absolutely do not. | 我的确这么认为 |
[33:33] | Her name’s gail, by the way. | 她的名字叫盖儿 |
[33:34] | The fish? Yeah. | 这条鱼? 对 |
[33:35] | You named it gail? | 这条鱼? 对 你帮她取的? 不是,是店里的人 |
[33:36] | No, the guy in the store. | 你帮她取的? |
[33:38] | ( laughing ) | 不是,是店里的人 |
[33:39] | Oh… That’s… | |
[33:42] | Come here. | 过来 |
[33:46] | Thanks for the fish. | 谢谢你的鱼 |
[33:50] | Keep your head in the game. | 继续加油吧 |
[34:00] | ( laughing ) | |
[34:03] | In 1787, there was a sizable block of delegates | 一七八七年有一大批代表 |
[34:06] | Who were initially opposed to the bill of rights. | 原本极力反对权利法案 |
[34:09] | This is what a member of the georgia delegation | 这是一名乔治亚州代表 |
[34:11] | Had to say by way of opposition: | 提出的反对声明 |
[34:13] | “If we list a set of rights | 如果我们列出一些权利 |
[34:15] | “Some fools in the future are going to claim | 未来会有愚蠢的人声称 |
[34:17] | “The people are entitled only to those rights enumerated | 人们只享有法案中 条列出来的权利 |
[34:20] | And no others.” | 其他权利一概没有 所以法案草创人知道… |
[34:21] | So the framers knew… | 其他权利一概没有 所以法案草创人知道… |
[34:22] | Were you just calling me a fool, mr. Seaborn? | 你刚才是骂我笨蛋吗? 希朋先生 |
[34:25] | I wasn’t calling you a fool, sir. | 我没有骂你笨蛋 |
[34:27] | The brand-new state of georgia was. | 是刚成立的乔治亚州 |
[34:28] | Gentlemen, laws must emanate from the constitution. | 各位,法律必须出自于宪法 |
[34:32] | There are natural laws, judge. | 我们还有自然法,法官 |
[34:34] | I do not deny there are natural laws, mr. Ziegler. | 我不否认有自然法,齐格先生 |
[34:37] | I only deny that judges are empowered to enforce them. | 我只否认法官有权 去执行自然法 |
[34:42] | Then who will? | 那会是谁呢? |
[34:43] | That’s not up to me. | 那不是我能决定的 |
[34:46] | And this sideshow is over. | 这场小表演到此为止 |
[34:47] | With all due respect, mr. President | 恕我直言,总统先生 |
[34:49] | I find this kind of questioning… | 我认为这样的质询 |
[34:51] | Very rude. | 非常不礼貌 |
[34:52] | Then you’re really going to enjoy meeting the u.s. Senate. | 那你一定会非常享受 和参议院过招 |
[34:55] | Well… Be that as it may, it’s disgusting. | 虽然说白了非常不好听 |
[34:58] | We all know you need me as much I need you. | 不过我们都知道 我们互相需要对方 |
[35:01] | I read the same polling information you do. | 我们看到同样的民调报告 |
[35:05] | Seven to ten point bump | 上升了七到十个百分点 |
[35:07] | 90 votes, unanimous out of committee. | 九十张票 委员会无异议支持 |
[35:09] | I was courted. | 我是公认的最佳人选 |
[35:10] | Now you have me taken to school by some kid. | 结果你却让这个小伙子 来教训我 |
[35:14] | That sam is young drives me nuts, too | 山姆太年轻也常教我捉狂 |
[35:17] | But he took you out for a ride, sir | 不过是我叫他如此放肆 |
[35:19] | Because that’s what I told him to do. | 对你问话 |
[35:25] | I am an extremely well-credentialed man | 我的背景资历一流,总统先生 |
[35:28] | Mr. President. And I am unaccustomed to this sort of questioning. | 我不习惯这种质问 |
[35:35] | I understand, peyton. | 我了解,佩顿 |
[35:37] | Could you give us a little time, please? | 请给我们一点时间好吗 |
[35:39] | We’ll make you comfortable while you’re waiting. | 在你等的时候 我们会让你宾至如归 |
[35:41] | Certainly. | 当然 谢谢 |
[35:42] | Thank you. | 当然 |
[35:47] | ( door closes ) | 谢谢 送他走吧 |
[35:50] | Put him on a bus. | |
[35:51] | That’s a guaranteed confirmation we’re sending out the door | 我们要送走的可是 保证能获得认可的提名人选 |
[35:54] | Based on a 30-year-old piece of paper | 为了三十年前的一份旧文件 就要放弃他 |
[35:57] | Which, by the way, no one will ever know about but us. | 这份文件除了我们 没有任何人知道 |
[35:59] | You don’t think the guy that called sam | 打电话给山姆的人难道不会 |
[36:01] | Would know how to call a senator’s office? | 打电话给参议员办公室吗 |
[36:03] | Mr. President | 总统先生 如果这跟堕胎有关的话 |
[36:04] | If this is about abortion… | 总统先生 如果这跟堕胎有关的话 |
[36:06] | It’s not just about abortion. | 他已经告诉我们… 这不只是关于堕胎 |
[36:07] | It’s about the next 20 years. | 是有关未来二十年 |
[36:08] | ’20s and ’30s, it was the role of government. | 二零及三零年代 是政府主导的年代 |
[36:11] | ’50s and ’60s, it was civil rights. | 五零及六零年代 是民权的年代 |
[36:12] | The next two decades are going to be privacy. | 下两个年代将会是隐私权时代 |
[36:15] | I’m talking about the internet. | 我指的是网路、手机 |
[36:17] | I’m talking about cell phones. I’m talking about health records | 病历纪录 |
[36:19] | And who’s gay and who’s not. | 谁是同性恋,谁又不是 |
[36:21] | And moreover, in a country born of the will to be free | 此外… 一个以自由意志为根本 |
[36:25] | What could be more fundamental than this? | 而诞生的国家 还有什么比这个更重要 |
[36:31] | Toby? | 托比 |
[36:36] | Let’s meet mendoza. | 我们来见孟道萨吧 |
[36:41] | ( knocking ) | |
[36:43] | They’re meeting with mendoza. | 他们约见孟道萨 |
[36:45] | Yeah. | 怎么了? |
[36:48] | Yeah. | 是 |
[36:49] | And I’m just going to go kill myself now. | 我现在真想自我了断 |
[36:53] | You think mendoza would be a bad justice? | 你认为孟道萨会是差劲的法官 |
[36:55] | I think mendoza would make a great justice. | 我认为孟道萨会是好法官 |
[36:56] | I think he makes a lousy nominee. Why? | 不过他却是差劲的提名人 |
[36:59] | He’s ruled in favor of same-sex marriages… | 为什么? |
[37:01] | He didn’t rule in favor of it, mandy. | 他的判决倾向同性婚姻 他才没有,��蒂 |
[37:02] | He’s not recommending it. | 他并不建议 |
[37:04] | He ruled that the state has no right to interfere with it. | 他判定政府无权干涉 |
[37:06] | He’s got the broadest possible interpretation for free speech… | 他对言论自由的诠释 尺度最为宽松 |
[37:09] | And listening to you sometimes | 有时听你说话,我还真希望 |
[37:10] | I wish he’d narrow it some. | 言论自由可以缩小范围 |
[37:12] | You don’t have to tell me how to be a good person. | 你不用告诉我该怎么当好人 |
[37:14] | I’m the one who has to sell this | 乔西 我要负责推销他 |
[37:16] | And he is not exactly america’s idea of supreme court justice. | 他并非美国人心中 理想的最高法院大法官 |
[37:20] | Let’s do a side-by-side comparison. | ��蒂,我不… 我们来做一下并列比较 |
[37:24] | Harrison went to walnut park country day | 哈理逊就读胡桃公园 |
[37:27] | Phillips-exeter and princeton undergrad | 菲利浦艾克斯特学院 |
[37:29] | And harvard law. | 普林斯顿大学部和哈佛法学院 |
[37:30] | Mendoza attended p.s. 138 in brooklyn | 孟道萨的经历是布鲁克林区 一三八警察局 |
[37:34] | City university in new york | 纽约市立大学 |
[37:36] | And the new york police academy. | 还有纽约警察学院 |
[37:38] | Harrison clerked for warren burger. | 哈理逊担任过沃伦柏格的助理 |
[37:39] | Mendoza… | 孟道萨… |
[37:41] | New york city police department, ’65 to ’76 | 一九六五年到一九七六年 在纽约市警察局 |
[37:44] | Assistant district attorney, brooklyn, ’76 to ’80. | 一九七六年到一九八零年 布鲁克林区助理检察官 |
[37:47] | Assistant u.s. Attorney, eastern district | 东区助理检察官 |
[37:49] | Federal district judge… But let me tell you something. | 东区联邦法官 |
[37:52] | Mendoza went to law school the hard way. | 我告诉你,孟道萨从法学院 |
[37:53] | He got shot in the leg | 一路苦出来的 |
[37:54] | And when they offered him 100 percent dispensation | 当时他腿部中了弹 当时他可以自由选择职务 |
[37:57] | He took a desk job instead and went to law school at night. | 结果他选择了内勤工作 晚上还到法学院就读 |
[37:59] | He is brilliant, decisive, compassionate and experienced | 他为人聪敏,果断有热情 而并经验丰富 |
[38:03] | And if you don’t think that he’s america’s idea of a jurist | 你若不认为 他是美国理想的大法官 |
[38:06] | Then you don’t have enough faith in americans. | 你就是对美国人 没有足够的信念 |
[38:08] | It’s not americans I don’t have faith in, josh. | 我不是对美国人民没有信心 乔西 |
[38:10] | It’s the white house senior staff. | 我所担心的是白宫高级幕僚 |
[38:14] | This is not going to be an easy one. | 这件事并不是那么简单 |
[38:16] | And if all hell breaks loose over lillienfield | 如果李林菲德的事 一发不可收拾 |
[38:18] | It could honestly cripple us for a year, maybe more. | 我们在一年内都会寸步难行 |
[38:21] | ( sighs ) | 甚至可能更久 |
[38:22] | Well, I mean, just the law of large numbers says | 根据大数定律 |
[38:25] | We got to win one one of these days, right? | 我们在这几天内 总该会搞好一件事吧 |
[38:28] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[38:29] | So let’s make it a good one. | 那我们把它做好吧 |
[38:34] | I still hate you. | 我还是讨厌你 |
[38:38] | Whatever. | 随便你了 |
[38:52] | Who was that? | 他是谁? |
[38:53] | Roberto mendoza. | 罗伯特孟道萨 |
[39:06] | It’s not necessary for you to stay here. | 你不需要待在这儿 |
[39:09] | The president asked me to stay with you | 总统要我陪着你 |
[39:11] | In case you needed anything. | 以便你需要任何服务 |
[39:13] | I’d be glad to stay outside if you prefer. | 如果你喜欢的话 我乐意待在外面 |
[39:15] | Yes, thank you. | 好,谢谢 |
[39:16] | Would you like anything? | 需要什么吗? |
[39:17] | Coffee, please. | 咖啡 |
[39:18] | Yes, sir. | 好的 |
[39:20] | You look very familiar. | 你看起来很眼熟 |
[39:21] | Is it possible we’ve met? | 我们见过吗? |
[39:23] | I caddied for three summers at sandy hook, sir. | 我在山帝胡克球场 当过三个月的杆弟 |
[39:26] | Of course. | 对了 |
[39:27] | Charlie young. | 查理杨 |
[39:28] | Charlie, of course. | 对,查理 |
[39:30] | I’ll get your coffee. | 我去帮你倒咖啡 |
[39:36] | ( door closes ) | 我想我们就快结束了 山姆,你还要说什么? |
[39:44] | Judge mendoza, I have a note that your rulings | 孟道萨法官 |
[39:47] | Have been upheld by the court of appeals | 我的资料显示你的判决 |
[39:48] | More than any other district judge in the country. | 受到上诉法庭支持的比例 远超过其他地方法院法官 |
[39:52] | Well, that’s what comes | 我猜想那就是 判决不出错的一大好处 |
[39:53] | From being right most of the time, I guess. | 我猜想那就是 |
[39:56] | ( president chuckling ) | 判决不出错的一大好处 |
[39:59] | You need me, leo? | 你找我,里奥? |
[40:00] | For just a moment, sir. | 只要一下就好 |
[40:01] | Would you excuse me, please? | 失陪一下 |
[40:02] | Certainly. | 请便 |
[40:13] | Mr. President… | 总统先生 |
[40:15] | What is it, leo? | 什么事?里奥 |
[40:17] | There’s going to be trouble. | 有麻烦了 |
[40:19] | Lillienfield? | 李林菲德 |
[40:21] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[40:22] | He knows? | 他知道了 我们认为如此 |
[40:23] | We think so. | 他知道了 我们认为如此 |
[40:24] | We? | 我们? 乔西也知道了 |
[40:26] | Josh has it. | 我们? 乔西也知道了 |
[40:27] | What does josh say? | 乔西说了什么? |
[40:29] | Get through it. | 把这事搞定 |
[40:31] | Josh is a smart guy. | 乔西真是聪明 |
[40:33] | No, sir. Josh is a young guy. | 不,乔西是年轻人 |
[40:36] | We used to be, too. | 我们也曾年轻过 |
[40:39] | Mr. President… | 总统先生 你昨天有喝酒吗 |
[40:40] | Did you have a drink yesterday? | 总统先生 |
[40:41] | No, sir. | 你昨天有喝酒吗 |
[40:42] | Are you going to have one today? | 没有 今天想来一杯吗? |
[40:44] | No, sir. | 不想 你只要这么说就够了 |
[40:45] | That’s all you ever have to say to me. | 不想 你只要这么说就够了 |
[40:48] | You know it’s going to make things very hard for a while. | 你知道这档事一时之间 会把我们的处境变得很糟糕 |
[40:53] | You fought in a war. | 你打过选战,助我当选 |
[40:54] | You got me elected, and you run the country. | 协助运作这个国家 |
[40:58] | I think we all owe you one, don’t you? | 我们都亏欠你,不是吗? |
[41:06] | Mr. President. | 总统先生 哈理逊走了吗 |
[41:07] | Did harrison get off okay? | 总统先生 哈理逊走了吗 |
[41:08] | Yes, sir. | 走了 |
[41:09] | There’s a bit of a crowd building up outside your office. Why? | 办公室外头有群众聚集 |
[41:12] | I think word has gotten out what’s going on in here, sir. | 为什么? 我想是有消息外泄 |
[41:14] | I’ll bet it has. | 最好如此 |
[41:16] | Do you have any more questions, sam? | 还有事吗?山姆 |
[41:18] | No, sir. I have one, sir. | 没有 我也没有 |
[41:20] | Let me say this is not an easy commission to get appointed to. | 接受指派并不是件容易的任务 |
[41:26] | Judge, without knowing details | 法官 在不了解详细内情的状况下 |
[41:28] | Or special circumstances | 你对于有人因拒绝接受 总统下的药物检测命令 |
[41:29] | What would you say of someone being fired | 你对于有人因拒绝接受 |
[41:31] | For refusing to take a drug test | 总统下的药物检测命令 |
[41:32] | At the order of the president? | 而被解职一事有何看法 |
[41:34] | Without details or special circumstances? | 不了解详细内情的状况下吗 |
[41:37] | Yes, sir. Without showing cause | 是的 |
[41:40] | I would say that the order constitutes an illegal search | 若没有提出合理的理由 我想此一命令等同非法搜索 |
[41:43] | And I would order that the employee be reinstated. | 我会命令该员立刻复职 |
[41:50] | Toby? | 托比 |
[41:52] | Sold. | 我赞成 |
[41:59] | Judge mendoza, would it surprise you | 孟道萨法官 |
[42:01] | To learn that for the past few months | 你是否会惊讶得知 |
[42:03] | Your name has been on the short list of candidates | 这几个月来你是 |
[42:05] | For the bench? | 大法官名单上的候选人 |
[42:07] | Yes, mr. President. | 是的,总统先生 |
[42:10] | Well, then, this is going to knock your socks off. | 接下来你会更震惊 |
[42:13] | Tomorrow evening at 5:00 I am naming you as my nominee to be | 明天下午五点我将提名你担任 |
[42:18] | The next associate justice Of the united states supreme court. | 下一届美国最高法院大法官 |
[42:22] | You were not the first choice | 你并非我们最初的选择 |
[42:24] | But you are the last one | 却是最后而且最正确的选择 |
[42:26] | And the right one. | |
[42:30] | Will you accept the nomination? | 你愿意接受提名吗? |
[42:35] | With honor. | 我的荣幸 |
[42:38] | Good. | 很好 |
[42:40] | Thank you. | |
[42:41] | Sam and toby will be in charge of your confirmation. | 谢谢 山姆和托比会负责你的确认案 |
[42:43] | Congratulations, judge. Thank you. | 恭喜 谢谢 |
[42:45] | It will be an excruciating battle, mr. Justice | 这将是一场硬战,法官先生 |
[42:47] | But one I have no intention of losing. | 但是我志在必得 |
[42:48] | What do you say, leo? You up for a good fight? | 你怎么说?里奥 |
[42:51] | I believe I have one in me. Yes, sir. | 你准备好打赢这场仗了吗 是的,我绝对有信心打赢 |
[42:54] | Good. | 开始奋战吧 |
[42:54] | Let the good fight begin. | |
[43:04] | Mr. Justice mendoza! | 大法官孟道萨先生 |
[43:06] | ( applause and cheering ) | 恭喜 恭喜 |