时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:04] | previously on the west wing: | |
[00:06] | I brought you flowers. | 我带花来给你 |
[00:08] | I’m going to up your protection. | 我要增加你的随扈人员… 爸 |
[00:09] | Dad! starting tomorrow. | 从明天开始 |
[00:10] | I’m starting college in a month. | 我一个月后就要上大学了 |
[00:11] | Mr. President, this is special agent gina toscano. | 总统先生 这是吉娜塔斯卡诺探员 |
[00:14] | How do you do. how do you do, Mr. President. | 幸会 幸会,总统先生 |
[00:15] | Hey, zoey, do me a favor. | 柔伊,帮个忙,走我另外一边 |
[00:16] | Walk on the other side of me, would you? | |
[00:18] | Do you by any chance like opera? | 你喜欢歌剧吗 |
[00:19] | You’re asking me out on a date. | 你邀我出去约会? |
[00:21] | You’ve got an itch for sam seaborn. | 你对山姆希朋心动了 |
[00:23] | I do not have an itch. | 我没对山姆心动 |
[00:24] | Roberta mendoza is the president’s nominee | 孟道萨是总统提名继任 |
[00:26] | To fill crouch’s seat on the supreme court. | 最高法院大法官的人选 |
[00:28] | Sam and toby will be in charge of your confirmation. | 山姆和托比将负责 让参议院批准你任职 |
[00:31] | It’s going to be an excruciating battle, Mr. Justice | 这会是一场艰难战役 法官先生,但我不想输 “愈辩愈明” |
[00:33] | But one I have no intention of losing. | 柯罗斯菲议员 赞成 柯罗斯菲议员投赞成票 “星期四,下午9点45分” |
[00:45] | congratulations, everybody. | 恭喜,恭喜 |
[00:47] | congratulations. | |
[00:48] | Line up, one drink per person. | 大家请排队 |
[00:50] | Who’s driving? | 一人限一杯,谁要开车? |
[00:51] | Put it down. | 放下,放下 |
[00:52] | Put it down. | 放下,放下 |
[00:53] | Put it down. | |
[00:54] | Toby. | 托比… 不准喝香槟 |
[00:55] | No champagne. | 托比… 不准喝香槟 |
[00:56] | We’re just getting ready… | 我们正准备庆祝… |
[00:57] | Put it down. | 放下 |
[00:59] | Everyone in this room– | 在场的每个人请注意 |
[01:00] | Let me have your attention, please. | |
[01:03] | The law of our land mandates That presidential appointees | 我国法律规定总统提名的 |
[01:05] | Be confirmed by a majority of the senate A majority being half plus one | 人选须经参议院多数确认 |
[01:10] | For a total of what, ginger? | 多数就是半数加一 就是总共要多少票?金婕 |
[01:12] | Fifty-one. | 五十一张赞成票 |
[01:13] | Fifty-one yea votes | 电视荧幕出现51张赞成票后 |
[01:14] | Is what we see on these screens Before a drop of wine is swallowed | 才能喝酒庆祝 |
[01:18] | Because there’s a little thing | 因为有件小事叫什么?邦妮 |
[01:19] | Called what, bonnie? | |
[01:20] | Tempting fate? | 大意失荆州 |
[01:21] | “Tempting fate” is what it’s called. | 有件事叫大意失荆州 |
[01:25] | In the three months this man has been on my radar screen | 这人在我雷达荧幕上 占了三个月的时间 |
[01:29] | I have aged 48 years. | 让我一下子老了四十八岁 |
[01:30] | This is my day of jubilee. | 今天是我狂欢庆祝的日子 我不想被什么破坏了?邦妮 |
[01:31] | I will not have it screwed up by what, bonnie? | 今天是我狂欢庆祝的日子 我不想被什么破坏了?邦妮 |
[01:34] | By tempting fate. | 一时的大意 |
[01:35] | By tempting fate. | 被一时的大意破坏了 |
[01:39] | These things take patience. | 这种事情需要耐心 |
[01:40] | These things take skill. These things take luck. | 需要技巧,需要运气 |
[01:43] | In the 15 months we’ve been in office | 总统就职十五个月来 |
[01:45] | What kind of luck have we had, ginger? | 我们的运气如何?金婕 |
[01:46] | Bad luck. | 很差 |
[01:49] | What kind of luck? | 我们的运气如何? |
[01:50] | Very bad luck. | 非常差 |
[01:52] | We’ve had very bad luck. | 我们的运气非常差 |
[01:58] | Where’s josh? | 乔西呢? |
[01:59] | Josh! | 乔西 |
[02:00] | Yeah! | 我们得走了 已经有十九张赞成票了 |
[02:01] | We got to go. | 我们得走了 |
[02:02] | They’re already at 19 yea votes. | 已经有十九张赞成票了 |
[02:03] | What’s this message about I need to talk to mandy | 这字条写着我必须跟��蒂谈 |
[02:05] | About a banana bar? Is that what this says? | “香蕉酒吧”是怎么回事 |
[02:08] | Panda bear. | 大熊猫 |
[02:09] | “Panda bear”? | 大熊猫? 对 |
[02:10] | Yes. that’s a “D”? | 大熊猫? 对 |
[02:12] | Yeah. | 这些字母写得不清不楚 |
[02:13] | And that’s an “E”? yeah. | |
[02:15] | All right. You know what would be helpful? | 请你指出 |
[02:16] | If you could just show me where one word ends And the next one begins. | 这两个字的分界点在哪里 |
[02:20] | We have to go. | 我们得走了 |
[02:21] | She wants to talk to me about a panda bear? | 她要跟我谈大熊猫的事? 是的 |
[02:23] | You sure you got the message right? | 你确定你没写错? |
[02:24] | Have I ever got a message wrong? | 我什么时候写错过吗? |
[02:25] | No. | 没有 |
[02:27] | Then maybe the benefit of the doubt | 所以字写得不清楚也无所谓 |
[02:28] | Might not be monumentally out of line. | |
[02:30] | A panda’s what I think it is? | 这上面写的是大熊猫,对吧 对 |
[02:31] | Little australian thing | 澳洲产的小动物,专吃树皮 |
[02:33] | Eats the bark off the koala tree? That’s a koala bear I believe you’re describing. | 你说的是无尾熊吧 |
[02:37] | The panda’s the other one. | 大熊猫是另外一种动物? |
[02:38] | How can you not know the difference | 你居然分不清猫熊和无尾熊? |
[02:39] | Between a panda bear and a koala bear? | 靠近一点 |
[02:41] | You know, for someone | 你连字母都写不清楚… 我的字… |
[02:42] | Who hasn’t quite mastered the alphabet… | 你连字母都写不清楚… 我的字… |
[02:44] | Josh! | 乔西 |
[02:46] | My penmanship is distinctive. | 我的字独树一格 |
[02:48] | Your penmanship is illegible. | 你的字没人看得懂 |
[02:49] | Hey, mal. where’s sam? | 玛勒理 山姆呢? |
[02:51] | He’s going to be watching the mendoza vote. | 他在看孟多萨的投票 |
[02:52] | Can you believe him? | 他可靠吗? |
[02:53] | Sam? yeah. | 山姆? 他可靠吗? |
[02:55] | No. | 对 不可靠 |
[02:56] | You think you know a guy… yeah. | 真是知人知面不知心 |
[02:57] | You don’t know what I’m talking about, do you? | 你不知道我在说什么,对吗? |
[03:00] | No. | 不知道 |
[03:01] | Okay. okay. | 好 好 |
[03:03] | Toby! | 托比 乔西 |
[03:04] | Joshua. | 托比 乔西 |
[03:05] | How about some champagne? | 喝香槟吧 不行 |
[03:06] | All: no. | 怎么回事? |
[03:07] | What the hell? ginger? | 怎么回事? |
[03:09] | Tempting fate. | 金婕 大意失荆州 |
[03:10] | Okay. Go grab leo. | 好吧,去找里奥过来 |
[03:11] | It’s distinctive penmanship style, josh. | 我的字独树一格 |
[03:14] | Go. | 去 |
[03:15] | Not unlike salvador dali. | 和达利“西班牙画家” 有异曲同工之妙 |
[03:15] | please get leo. | 请你去叫里奥 |
[03:19] | I can’t believe you’re talking like this. | 我不相信你居然说这种话 |
[03:23] | Leo. | 里奥 那只是书的封面,席尼 |
[03:24] | It’s a book jacket, sydney. | 里奥 那只是书的封面,席尼 |
[03:25] | It’s a dust cover. | 宣传字眼而已 |
[03:27] | We’re really going to make a federal case | 里奥 |
[03:28] | Out of a book jacket? | 为了一个封面 有必要闹到国会殿堂吗? |
[03:30] | We’re literally going to make | 你真的要这么小题大作吗 |
[03:31] | A federal case out of this? | |
[03:32] | Donna says its time. | 唐娜说时间到了 |
[03:33] | I’m going to bring him here | 席尼,我会把他找来谈话 |
[03:34] | And talk to him, but I got to say We’re about a minute and a half from closing | 但我要说我们即将完成 |
[03:38] | What wasn’t the easiest confirmation process | 美国历史上极为困难的一次 |
[03:40] | In american history. | 大法官确认投票 |
[03:42] | So you’ll understand if I’m not giddy as a schoolgirl About the thought of running once again | 因此你该了解 |
[03:46] | Into the warm embrace Of the senate judiciary committee. | 我不想再重来一次 |
[03:49] | Leo… good-bye. | 里奥 再见 |
[03:52] | What’s going on? | 那是怎么回事? |
[03:53] | An appointment to a justice post | 那是怎么回事? |
[03:56] | Favors reparations to african-americans. | 任命一位主张赔偿 非洲裔美国人的法官 |
[03:58] | What for? | 为了什么? 捕捉他们的祖先,并蓄为奴隶 |
[03:59] | Capturing their ancestors | 为了什么? |
[04:00] | And keeping them as slaves. | 捕捉他们的祖先,并蓄为奴隶 |
[04:02] | What kind of reparations? | 什么样的赔偿? |
[04:03] | Money. ( people booing ) | 钱 |
[04:07] | Loser! | 真逊 |
[04:10] | ( cheering ) | 皮尔森参议员投赞成票 |
[04:11] | Toby? | 托比 还不行 |
[04:12] | Not yet. | 托比 还不行 |
[04:13] | Our day of jubilee. | 我们狂欢庆祝的日子 还不行 |
[04:14] | Not yet. | 我们狂欢庆祝的日子 还不行 |
[04:16] | Sam. | 山姆 |
[04:18] | It’s my day of jubilee. | 今天是我狂欢庆祝的日子 |
[04:19] | I despise you and everything you stand for. | 我瞧不起你和你所有的一切 |
[04:22] | All right, my day was a little bit better | 我的日子几秒钟前还 |
[04:24] | A few seconds ago… | 充满喜悦,但没关系 |
[04:25] | How could you write | 你怎么能写那样的建议书? |
[04:26] | That position paper? | 你怎么能写那样的建议书? |
[04:27] | Which position paper? | 哪个建议书? |
[04:28] | Don’t play dumb with me. | 别跟我装傻 |
[04:29] | Honestly, i am dumb. | 其实我很傻 |
[04:30] | Most of the time I’m playing smart. | 大部分时间我是在装聪明 |
[04:32] | Sam– the position paper… | 山姆,那份建议书… |
[04:33] | You can’t be thinking about ruining | 玛勒理,别在我兴高采烈的 |
[04:34] | My day of jubilee by yelling at me | 日子来扫我的兴 |
[04:36] | About school vouchers. | 我正有此意 玛勒理… |
[04:36] | I was strongly considering it, yes. | 我正有此意 玛勒理… |
[04:39] | 50! Here we go, baby! | 五十票,太棒了 |
[04:40] | Sam, toby. | 山姆,托比,你们的人 |
[04:42] | We’re about to put a guy on the supreme court. | 就快进最高法院了 林德参议员 |
[04:50] | Yea. | 赞成 |
[04:51] | ( cheering ) | |
[04:55] | Toby! How about now? | 托比,现在可以了吧 罗伯洛 茉拉凯利 杜希尔 艾莉森詹尼 里察薛福 约翰史宾塞 布雷迪威佛德 马丁辛 “白宫风云” “星期四 下午11点30分” |
[05:47] | I don’t understand– salvador dali had | 我不懂 |
[05:49] | Distinctive penmanship? | 达利的字写得很特别? |
[05:51] | Yes. | 是的 |
[05:52] | How was it distinctive? | 怎么特别? |
[05:53] | Well, for one thing, he wrote in spanish. | 别的不说,他写西班牙文 |
[05:55] | He was spanish. | 他是西班牙人 |
[05:57] | Which would account for his distinctive penmanship. | 所以他的字很独特 |
[06:00] | Excuse me. | 对不起,我是否打扰了 |
[06:01] | Am I interrupting something important? | 你们的重要大事 |
[06:03] | I can’t begin to tell you how you’re not. | 一点都没有 |
[06:06] | Would you mind if I have a… | 若你不介意的话… |
[06:09] | I’ll go see if people are having fun | 我去别的房间 |
[06:11] | In the other room. | 看看大家是不是玩得尽兴 |
[06:14] | What’s up? | 什么事? |
[06:15] | Our nominee for assistant attorney general for civil rights. | 我们提名的黑人民权 副司法部长 |
[06:19] | It’s going to sail? | 一定能顺利过关 |
[06:20] | No, it’s not. | 不会 |
[06:21] | Jeff breckenridge? | 杰夫布肯吉? |
[06:23] | Stadler has a problem with him. | 史达勒对他有意见 |
[06:25] | What’s his problem? | 他有什么意见? |
[06:27] | He supports slavery reparations. | 他支持奴隶求偿 |
[06:29] | Since when? | 什么时候的事? |
[06:31] | Whenever. | 不管什么时候 |
[06:32] | I mean… Was there a thing? | 真有这种事吗? |
[06:34] | Two sentences on the back dust jacket | 一本名为“未偿之债”的新书 |
[06:37] | Of a book that’s coming out called the unpaid debt. | 封底有两句话 |
[06:39] | That’s it? | 就这样? |
[06:40] | Stadler’s unhappy. | 史达勒很不高兴 |
[06:42] | ’cause of a thing he wrote on a dust cover? | 为了他在书套上写的两句话? |
[06:44] | I’ve been singing that song for the last three hours. | 这句话我跟他说了三小时 |
[06:47] | So, talk to him tomorrow, would you? | 你明天跟他谈谈好吗? |
[06:49] | Stadler? | 史达勒? 布肯吉 |
[06:50] | Breckenridge. | 布肯吉 |
[06:52] | I’m not the guy for this. | 我不是合适的人选 |
[06:54] | Yeah, you are. | 你是 |
[06:55] | Chanting: c.j.! C.j.! C.j.! | |
[06:58] | What the hell is that? | 那是在做什么? |
[06:59] | C.j.’s going to do “The jackal.” | 茜洁要表演“豺狼” |
[07:00] | Oh, where she lip-syncs to the thing? | 她对嘴唱兼做动作那个? |
[07:02] | Yeah. I love that. | |
[07:03] | Toby’s better for this. | 我非看不可 |
[07:05] | Look at the job he did on the mendoza confirmation. | 托比比较合适,孟道萨确认案 他办得妥妥当当的 |
[07:07] | Toby’s barely alive as a result of the mendoza confirmation. | 孟道萨案让托比只剩半条命 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 |
[07:10] | This one’s you. | 这次轮到你 |
[07:11] | Let’s go watch “The jackal.” | 我们去看“豺狼” 制片:李维林威尔斯 |
[07:12] | Leo. | 里奥,我是来自 康乃狄克州的白人 |
[07:14] | I’m a white guy from connecticut. | 里奥,我是来自 康乃狄克州的白人 |
[07:15] | We’ve met, josh. | 我知道你的出身背景 编剧:艾伦索金 |
[07:17] | I’m saying, isn’t this kind of | 我知道你的出身背景 编剧:艾伦索金 |
[07:18] | A delicate subject for me to get into | 要我去跟乔治亚州来的黑人 导演:克拉斯强森 |
[07:19] | With a black civil rights lawyer from athens, georgia? | 民权律师会谈不是很敏感吗 导演:克拉斯强森 |
[07:21] | Remember, you’re also jewish. | 别忘了,你也是犹太人 |
[07:22] | Then he’s sure to love me. | 那他一定会爱死我 |
[07:24] | Oh, cathy? | 凯西,山姆呢? 在他办公室跟你女儿吵架 |
[07:25] | Where’s sam? | 凯西,山姆呢? |
[07:26] | In his office, fighting with your daughter. | 在他办公室跟你女儿吵架 |
[07:28] | Tell him to come to the press room. | 要他到新闻室来 |
[07:29] | He’s not going to want to miss “The jackal.” | 别错过“豺狼” |
[07:31] | It was a position paper. | 那只是一份是建议书 |
[07:32] | Your position is that school vouchers are a good idea? | 你认为教育补助方案很好 |
[07:34] | How did you get this paper? | 你怎么会看到这份建议书? 你的顶头上司是我老爸 |
[07:35] | I’m related to your boss. | 你怎么会看到这份建议书? 你的顶头上司是我老爸 |
[07:37] | Your father gave it to you? | 你父亲给你看我的建议书? 是的 |
[07:38] | Yes. | 他想挑拨离间我们 他做到了 |
[07:39] | I think he’s trying to drive a wedge between us. | 他想挑拨离间我们 |
[07:41] | It worked. | 他做到了 |
[07:43] | Sam? | 山姆,茜洁要表演“豺狼”了 |
[07:44] | C.j.’s doing “The jackal.” I’ll be right there. | 我马上过去 |
[07:47] | I thought we had something going on. we do. | 我以为我们之间有点搞头 没错 |
[07:49] | Yet you haven’t told me you favor school vouchers? | 但你没告诉我 你赞成教育补助 |
[07:51] | I… First of all, hang on. | 首先…慢着,我们还没约会过 |
[07:53] | We haven’t been on a date yet. | 我是说… |
[07:55] | What kind of dates have you had… | 根本没约会过 |
[07:57] | That you’re amazed this hasn’t come up? | 当然什么事都不会发生 |
[07:58] | I’m a public school teacher. | 我是公立学校的老师 |
[08:00] | Seriously, the other guys– | 说真的,若别人跟你约会 点了饮料后,他们会说 |
[08:01] | They order drinks and say, “Before we go further | “首先我要告诉你 我对教育补助的看法”吗 |
[08:03] | Here’s my position on school vouchers?” | 你要跟我认真的讨论这事吗? |
[08:05] | Are you going to have a serious discussion? | 不要 |
[08:06] | No, you know why? ’cause I am off duty. | 不要? 不要,你知道为什么吗 |
[08:08] | Toby and I just spent the last three months | 因为我下班了 托比和我花了三个月时间 |
[08:10] | Putting a guy on the bench. | 把这人送进最高法院 |
[08:11] | The sun has set and I have earned | 现在天黑了 |
[08:12] | My government salary and then some. | 我已经赚到我的公家薪水了 |
[08:14] | I’m done working | 今天的工作已做完 |
[08:16] | And we haven’t been out on a date. | 我们还没去约会过 |
[08:17] | That’s supposed to be tonight. | 本来排定是今晚的 |
[08:18] | Now we’re going in there | 现在我们要过去 看茜洁表演“豺狼” |
[08:19] | And watch c.j. Do “The jackal.” | 现在我们要过去 看茜洁表演“豺狼” |
[08:21] | Believe me, if you haven’t seen c.j. Do “The jackal” | 相信我,若你没看过 茜洁表演的“豺狼” |
[08:22] | Then you haven’t seen shakespeare | 等于没看过 |
[08:24] | The way it’s meant to be done. | 诠释得宜的莎士比亚戏剧 |
[08:25] | We are going to watch c.j. Do “The jackal” | 我们去看茜洁的“豺狼” |
[08:27] | Then get a late dinner, after which | 然后去吃晚餐 |
[08:28] | I may or may not kiss you good night. | 之后我是否与你吻别 还在未定之天 |
[08:30] | Because there is something going on between us, mallory | 因为我俩之间有搞头 |
[08:32] | But I don’t think you’re doing a good job on your part | 但坦白说你的表现不够好 |
[08:34] | So I’ve decided to take over. | 所以我决定要接手采取主动 |
[08:35] | You’re taking over? | 你要接手? 是的,走吧 |
[08:36] | Yes, let’s go. | 你要接手? 是的,走吧 |
[08:37] | Not much chance. | 想得美 |
[08:39] | I didn’t think so, but give me credit for trying. | 我也这么想 但你该赞赏我有尝试的勇气 |
[08:40] | Good night there, skipper. | 晚安,船长 |
[08:44] | Apparently you don’t have to give me credit for trying. | 显然你不赞赏我尝试的勇气 |
[08:48] | ( moderate jazz beat ) | |
[09:17] | There’s a little speed bump with jeff breckenridge. | 杰夫布肯吉的事出了点问题 |
[09:19] | Leo gave it to me. | 里奥要我去办,因为他认为 你办孟道萨案已筋疲力竭 |
[09:20] | He thinks you’re burned out on mendoza. | 里奥要我去办,因为他认为 你办孟道萨案已筋疲力竭 |
[09:22] | I told him I thought that was ridiculous. | 我跟他说没这回事,你认为呢 |
[09:23] | What do you think? | |
[09:25] | Are you talking to me during “The jackal”? | 茜洁在表演“豺狼” 你居然跟我说话? |
[09:27] | I was just… | 我只是… |
[09:28] | Never talk to me during “The jackal.” | 这个时候绝对不要跟我说话 |
[09:54] | Hey. | |
[09:55] | Hey. | |
[09:57] | So, mallory read my position paper on school vouchers. | 玛勒理看过我写的 关于教育补助的建议书 |
[10:00] | Really? | 真的? 是 |
[10:02] | How do you suppose she got a hold of that? | 她怎么会看到呢? |
[10:04] | As it turns out, you gave it to her. | 是你给她的 |
[10:06] | School vouchers are a very serious subject with mallory. | 教育补助对玛勒理 是重大议题 |
[10:09] | Yeah, thanks for the heads-up. | 是的,谢谢你替我打气 |
[10:11] | I don’t mind you dating my only daughter | 我不介意你跟我的独生女约会 |
[10:13] | But you can’t expect me not to have some fun along the way. | 但我也想趁机找找乐子 |
[10:16] | Mallory and I haven’t actually been on a date yet. | 玛勒理跟我还没有约会过 |
[10:19] | Well, you hang in there, son. | 继续努力,年轻人 |
[10:50] | ( applause and cheering ) | |
[11:05] | ( humming “The jackal” ) | |
[11:12] | You did “The jackal”? | 你表演了“豺狼”? |
[11:14] | What are you doing here so late? | 这么晚了,你来做什么? |
[11:15] | I missed “The jackal”? | 我错过了“豺狼”? |
[11:16] | I was on fire tonight. | 我今晚兴致来了 |
[11:18] | Congratulations on mendoza– that’s got to feel good. | 恭喜孟道萨顺利过关 你们一定很高兴 |
[11:20] | It does. | 没错 |
[11:21] | So, I’m home, by myself | 我一个人在家 |
[11:22] | Listening to my police scanner… | 收听警方的无线电通讯 |
[11:24] | You have a police scanner? | 你有警方的无线电通讯器? |
[11:25] | Yes, I do. | 是的 |
[11:26] | Danny, you were, like, president of your high school | 丹尼,你高中时 |
[11:28] | Audio visual club, weren’t you? | 一定是视听社社长,对吧? |
[11:30] | I was not president of the a.v. Club. | 我不是视听社社长 |
[11:31] | I was vice president, bobby pfeiffer was president | 我是副社长 |
[11:33] | And that’s something I don’t like to talk about. | 巴比菲佛是社长 我不想谈起他的事 |
[11:35] | Why’d you come down? | 你来做什么? |
[11:36] | Josh said to come by for a drink. | 乔西要我来喝香槟 |
[11:37] | You should have gotten here earlier. | 你应该早点来的 |
[11:39] | I would have, except I was listening to my scanner. | 我是想早点来 只是我在听警方通讯 |
[11:40] | What happened? | 出了什么事? |
[11:42] | David arbor was arrested outside a frat party. | 大卫亚柏在兄弟会派对外被捕 |
[11:44] | He’s going to be charged with felony possession | 他会被控告持有毒品 |
[11:45] | Possible intent to distribute. | 并且意图发散 |
[11:47] | Is there any chance david arbor’s not the son of bob arbor? | 大卫亚柏有没可能 不是鲍布亚柏的儿子? |
[11:50] | There’s not any chance of that, no. | 就是他没错,还有另一件事 |
[11:52] | Plus one other thing. There’s one other thing? | 还有另一件事? |
[11:54] | Yeah. what? | 什么事? 柔伊也去了那个派对 |
[11:55] | Zoey was at the frat party. | 什么事? 柔伊也去了那个派对 |
[11:58] | Well… At least I know what I’ll be doing | 至少我知道 |
[12:00] | When I come into work tomorrow. | 明天来上班要做什么 |
[12:01] | Speaking of tomorrow, when you start handing out information | 说到明天 当你开始发布消息时 |
[12:03] | Please remember I came down here at 1:00 in the morning | 请别忘了我深夜一点 |
[12:05] | To tell you when there was no earthly reason I had to | 到这里来告诉你 |
[12:07] | And also that you’re secretly in love with me. | 虽然我没必要这么做 还有你秘密爱着我 |
[12:09] | Make sure you remind my office. | 请你去提醒我办公室的同仁 |
[12:11] | You could do “The jackal” For me | 你可以现在为我表演“豺狼” |
[12:13] | Right here, right now. | |
[12:17] | Go home. | 回家去 |
[12:19] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[12:30] | “I’m honestly not sure the president even knows.” | 跟我说:我真的不确定 总统知不知道 |
[12:32] | I’m honestly not sure the president even knows. | 我真的不确定总统知不知道 |
[12:34] | It’s such a non-story, it hasn’t come up yet. say it now. | 知道为什么吗? 因为这根本不算新闻 今天到现在都还没见报 再说一遍 |
[12:37] | I’m honestly not sure the president even knows. | 我真的不确定总统知不知道 |
[12:39] | The kid’s father’s a major democratic fund-raiser. | 这年轻人的父亲 是民主党的大金主 |
[12:41] | I’m sure the president will offer him | 我相信总统会在困难的时候 |
[12:42] | His best wishes and support During what must be a troubling time. | 给他最大的支持和祝福 |
[12:45] | The president’s daughter was at a party | 总统的女儿参加的派对 |
[12:46] | Where there was a drug bust. | 居然被查获有毒品 |
[12:48] | Zoey left well before the incident. | 警察去抓时,柔伊早就走了 |
[12:49] | Has the president had any reaction? | 总统有什么反应吗? |
[12:51] | I’m honestly not sure the president even knows. | 我真的不确定总统知不知道 |
[12:53] | There it is. mandy: hey, c.j. | 这样就对了 |
[12:54] | C.j.: it’s a non-story. | 茜洁 这不算新闻 |
[12:55] | Let’s keep it that way. | 保持下去 |
[12:57] | ( knocking on door ) | |
[12:58] | Hey. | |
[12:59] | Did you get my message? | 你看到我的留言吗? |
[13:01] | Yeah, you didn’t want to talk to me | 看到了,你不是要跟我谈 |
[13:02] | About banana bars by any chance, did you? | “香蕉酒吧”吧 |
[13:04] | Panda bears. | 是大熊猫 |
[13:05] | Donna has stylish penmanship. | 唐娜写的字独具风格 |
[13:07] | I think we should get a panda bear. | 我们应该找只大熊猫 |
[13:09] | You say that now, but I’m the one | 现在说的是你 |
[13:10] | Who’s going to end up feeding him and walking him. | 以后要喂他陪他散步的却是我 |
[13:12] | You guys have gotten | 我们在十天内 |
[13:14] | Something more than 3,000 letters In the last ten days wanting to know | 接到三千多封民众来信 |
[13:17] | When we’re getting the new bear for the national zoo. | 想知道国家动物园 何时会有新猫熊 |
[13:20] | What happened to the old bear? | 本来那只呢? |
[13:21] | Lum-lum? okay. | 兰兰? |
[13:22] | She died two weeks ago. | 他两星期前死了 |
[13:23] | Did I kill her? no. | 是我害死他的吗? 不是 |
[13:26] | Then what are you talking to me for? | 那你找我干嘛? |
[13:27] | 3,000 letters in ten days. | 十天收到三千多封信 |
[13:29] | Did I write any of them? | 有我写的吗? 没有 |
[13:30] | No. then, once again… | 那同样的… 我该找谁谈? |
[13:31] | Who should I be talking to? | 那同样的… 我该找谁谈? |
[13:33] | About getting a new panda bear? | 关于找一只新熊猫? 是的 |
[13:35] | Yes. | 以替代兰兰? 对 |
[13:36] | To replace lum-lum? | 以替代兰兰? |
[13:37] | Yes. | 对 |
[13:38] | Toby. You should be talking to toby. | 托比,你应该去找托比 |
[13:43] | This is most of it. | 大部分都在这里 |
[13:44] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[13:46] | Toby? | 托比? |
[13:47] | Toby can help you out. | 对,托比可以帮你 |
[13:50] | What’s all this? | 这些是什么? |
[13:51] | I have to tell a black civil rights lawyer | 我必须说服一位黑人民权律师 |
[13:53] | Why I don’t owe him any money. | 我不欠他钱 |
[13:56] | Good luck. Thanks. Zoey: je travaille. | 祝你好运 |
[14:05] | Girls: je travaille. tu travailles. tu travailles. nous travaillons. | 谢了 |
[14:10] | nous travaillons. ( all laughing ) | “法文练习” |
[14:13] | Mike: outside the southwest entrance. | |
[14:14] | How many? | 有几个? |
[14:15] | About a dozen. | 大约十来个 |
[14:16] | Have someone bring the car around back. | 请人把车开到后面 |
[14:19] | What time is it? 12:30. | 几点了? 十二点半 |
[14:20] | I have to go. | 我得走了 |
[14:22] | Are we doing french in kelly’s room tonight? | 这星期要去凯莉家练法文吗 |
[14:23] | Yeah, about 10:00. okay. | 对,十点钟 好 |
[14:26] | Zoey, this way. we’re going out back. | 柔伊,往这边走 我们从后面出去 |
[14:27] | What’s out front? | 前面怎么了? 有记者在外面 |
[14:28] | There’s a reporter out there. | 前面怎么了? 有记者在外面 |
[14:30] | They’re not supposed to come on campus. | 他们不能进校园的 |
[14:31] | Campus security’s on its way. | 校园警卫就快来了 |
[14:32] | Can I ask you a question? | 我可以问你吗? |
[14:34] | What’s up with marjorie’s hair? | 玛乔莉的头发是怎么回事? |
[14:35] | Yes! I didn’t want to say anything back at the table. | 是啊,我也觉得很纳闷 |
[14:39] | Gina, listen to this: we’ve been going to sleep | 吉娜,你听,我们要边睡 |
[14:41] | Listening to our french tapes. | 边听法文录音带 |
[14:42] | I remember them well. | 我记得很清楚 |
[14:43] | Are you ready? yeah. | 我记得很清楚 |
[14:44] | Both: michelle, anne, vous travaillez? | “法文” |
[14:46] | ah, non. Nous regardons le television… | |
[14:50] | Oh, zoey! Hey! | |
[14:51] | I’m special agent gina toscano, secret service | 柔伊 |
[14:53] | What’s your name? | 我是特勤局吉娜塔斯卡诺探员 你叫什么名字? |
[14:54] | Edgar drumm, the charleston citizen. | 查顿民报的艾卡壮 |
[14:55] | I have a question for miss bartlet. | 想请巴特勒小姐一个问题 |
[14:57] | She doesn’t answer questions. | 她不在这里回答问题 |
[14:58] | Zoey… mike, take her to the car. | 柔伊… 麦克,带她上车 |
[14:59] | What do you think it says about the country | 柔伊,总统之女 和毒贩一起参加派对 |
[15:01] | That the president’s daughter is partying | 你认为国人会怎么想? |
[15:02] | With drug dealers? | 你认为国人会怎么想? |
[15:04] | What do you think it says about the country? | 搞什么… 你认为国人会怎么想? |
[15:05] | David arbor isn’t a drug dealer. | 大卫亚柏不是毒贩 史黛西… |
[15:07] | Why’d you go to the party, zoey? | 你为何去参加那个派对,柔伊 |
[15:08] | I was invited. | 我受到邀请 |
[15:09] | I didn’t know david arbor was going to be there. | 我不知大卫亚柏也会去 |
[15:11] | Guys, I want you in the car now. | 你们快上车 |
[15:15] | You’re a real jackass, you know that? | 你是个十足的讨厌鬼 |
[15:19] | Don’t ever do that again. | 以后不准这么做 |
[15:21] | I have to say if this is how the secret service behaves | 若巴特勒主政期间 |
[15:23] | During the bartlet administration | 特勤局是这样办事的话 |
[15:25] | It’s a sad state of affairs. | 我必须说这政府很可悲 |
[15:27] | We’re all going to have to learn to live with your disappointment. | 我们都必须学着 |
[15:42] | ( sighs ): this draft is done. | 活在你的失望当中 这份草稿完成了 |
[15:46] | This draft is done and it’s done on schedule. | 这份草稿准时完成 |
[15:47] | “On schedule” Is going to be my middle name from now on. | 从现在起准时是我的小名 |
[15:50] | Seriously, I’m having it legally changed. | 说正格的,我要正式改名 |
[15:51] | What was it before? | 本来是什么? |
[15:52] | Norman. okay. | 诺曼 |
[15:54] | Speaking of schedules, cathy… | 说到时间,凯西… |
[15:56] | Oh, uh, at noon | 中午你要在国会山�P |
[15:57] | You’re on the hill with brennan and landis | 和柏南跟蓝迪斯见面 |
[15:59] | 3:00, with the east asia team | 三点,和东亚团队 |
[16:00] | 4:00, with medicare | 四点,和健保局 |
[16:02] | 4:30, with the president | 四点半,和总统 |
[16:03] | 6:00, with the advance team. | 六点,和先遣队伍 |
[16:04] | The noon meeting with | 中午和柏南跟蓝迪斯 在国会山�P那个会谈 |
[16:05] | Brennan and landis on the hill… | 中午和柏南跟蓝迪斯 在国会山�P那个会谈 |
[16:07] | Yeah? let’s see if we can cancel it. | 怎么样? 看能否取消? |
[16:08] | Why? | 为什么? 我不想去 |
[16:09] | I don’t want to go. | 为什么? 我不想去 |
[16:10] | That’s not a good enough reason. | 这理由不够充分 |
[16:12] | I really don’t want to go. | 我真的不想去 |
[16:13] | You’re going. | 你要去 |
[16:14] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[16:16] | And you’ve got mallory at 11:00. | 还有你十一点要见玛勒理 |
[16:18] | What? | 什么? |
[16:20] | You’ve got mallory at 11:00. Right now. | 你十一点要见玛勒理 就是现在 |
[16:22] | What do you mean I’ve got mallory? | 你说我要见玛勒理是什么意思 |
[16:23] | Your appointment with mallory. | 你跟玛勒理约好的会谈 |
[16:24] | What appointment with mallory? | 我跟玛勒理约好什么会谈? |
[16:26] | I decided to see you during your business hours. | 我决定在上班时间来见你 |
[16:27] | Mallory. hello. | 玛勒理 |
[16:28] | Why aren’t you in school? | 你怎么不在学校? |
[16:30] | No school today. you made an appointment? | 今天没课 |
[16:31] | I didn’t want to take advantage of the fact that we’re dating. | 你约了时间? 我不想占我们在约会的便宜 |
[16:34] | We’re not dating. that’s sad for you, isn’t it? | 我们没在约会 你觉得很不好受,对吧 |
[16:36] | You made an appointment? all nice and businesslike. | 你约了时间? 完全照规矩来 |
[16:39] | Well, isn’t that adorable? | 那太好了,请进 |
[16:41] | Come in. | |
[16:49] | Josh… | 乔西 他来了吗? |
[16:50] | Is he here? yeah. | 乔西 他来了吗? |
[16:51] | Send him in. | 请他进来 布肯吉先生 谢谢 |
[16:52] | Mr. Breckenridge. | 布肯吉先生 |
[16:53] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[16:55] | Jeff, josh lyman. | 杰夫,我是乔西赖曼 |
[16:56] | Jeff breckenridge. | 我是杰夫布肯吉 |
[16:57] | Good to meet you. help yourself to a chair. | 幸会,请坐 |
[16:59] | Can donna get you anything? | 需要唐娜给你一些饮料吗 |
[17:00] | Oh, no, thank you, I’m fine. | 不用,谢谢,我不渴 |
[17:02] | You were a summer associate | 有一年夏天 |
[17:04] | At debevoise and plimpton | 你在戴普律师事务所上班 |
[17:05] | When my father was a partner there. | 当时我父亲也是那里的律师 |
[17:07] | Your father was a partner at debevoise and plimpton? | 你父亲是 |
[17:09] | Yeah. | 戴普律师事务所的律师? |
[17:10] | Your father’s noah lyman? | 你父亲是诺亚赖曼? |
[17:11] | Yeah. | 是 |
[17:14] | I met him. He’s a wonderful man. | 我见过他,他是个大好人 |
[17:15] | How is he? | 他好吗? |
[17:17] | He died. | 他过世了 |
[17:19] | I’m sorry. When? | 真遗憾,什么时候 |
[17:21] | The night of the illinois primary. | 伊利诺州初选那夜 |
[17:24] | I’m sorry. | 真遗憾 |
[17:25] | Thanks. Listen… | 谢谢,这事昨晚才交到我手上 |
[17:26] | I just got this handed to me last night So I’m not as up to speed as i… | 我还不太进入情况 |
[17:29] | A couple of republicans | 司法委员会有几位共和党委员 |
[17:30] | On the judiciary committee Have a problem with me. | 对我有意见 |
[17:33] | Stadler. | 史达勒 |
[17:34] | Also probably wachtel and tillison. | 可能还有魏齐托和提利森 可能 |
[17:36] | Probably. | 是有特别原因 还是他们就是不喜欢我 |
[17:37] | Any specific problem | 是有特别原因 |
[17:38] | Or they just don’t like me on spec? | 还是他们就是不喜欢我 |
[17:40] | No. | 不,因为有本书叫 |
[17:42] | There’s a book coming out by otis hastings Called the unpaid debt. | “未偿之债”即将出版 |
[17:46] | Hastings’ position is that african-americans | 作者哈斯汀认为非洲裔美国人 |
[17:48] | Are owed monetary reparations for slavery. | 被迫为奴应获得金钱补偿 |
[17:51] | Yes. | 是的 |
[17:52] | You’re quoted on the back jacket. | 书套上引用了你说的话 |
[17:54] | Yes. | |
[17:55] | You wrote, “Otis hastings | 你写说“哈斯汀是 |
[17:57] | “Is a unique and extraordinary historian. | 独特非凡的历史学家” |
[18:00] | “This book should be read by everyone and burned | “这本书每个人都应该读 |
[18:03] | Into the minds of white america.” | 并烙进美国白人的脑海里” |
[18:06] | Yes. | 是的 |
[18:07] | Just to start, you weren’t misquoted, right? | 我要问清楚 这段话是你说的,没错吧 |
[18:10] | No. | 没错 |
[18:11] | Okay, and I’m assuming | 我认为若委员会问你 |
[18:12] | If asked by the committee You’ll say that you’re in favor reparations? | 你会回答你支持奴隶求偿 |
[18:15] | If asked, I’ll tell the committee | 若委员会问我,我会回答 |
[18:17] | That my father’s fathers were kidnapped | |
[18:18] | Outside a village called wimbabwa | 我的祖先在一个名为 温巴哇的村�P外遭绑架 |
[18:21] | Brought to new guinea | 带到新几内亚 |
[18:22] | Sold to a slave trader from boston | 卖给来自波士顿的奴隶贩子 |
[18:24] | And bought by a plantation owner | 被南卡州瓦斯渥�P园主人买去 |
[18:25] | In wadsworth, south carolina, where they worked for no wages. | 在那里作牛作马,没有酬劳 |
[18:30] | And you’re looking for back pay? | 你要求偿还? |
[18:33] | Yes. | 是的 |
[18:35] | Just out of curiosity, did you have a figure in mind? | 我很好奇 你心里有没有个数字? |
[18:38] | Dr. Harold washington | 曼彻斯特研究中心的经济主任 |
[18:40] | Who’s chief economist at the manchester institute | 哈洛华盛顿博士计算过 |
[18:43] | Calculated the number of slaves held Multiplied it by the number of hours worked | 被迫为奴的人数乘以工作时数 |
[18:48] | Multiplied that by the market value of manual labor | 乘以人工的市场价值 |
[18:52] | And came up with a very conservative figure. | 得到一个很保守的数字 |
[18:54] | What is it? | 多少? 一兆七百亿美元 |
[18:55] | $1.7 trillion. | 多少? 一兆七百亿美元 |
[18:59] | Okay. Listen, this is probably | 我们还是以抽象数字 |
[19:00] | A better discussion to have in the abstract Don’t you think? | 来讨论比较好,对吧? |
[19:04] | No. | 不对 |
[19:06] | What do you mean? | 什么意思? |
[19:08] | I mean someone owes me and my friends $1.7 trillion. | 我的意思是有人欠我和 |
[19:19] | ( knocking ) | 我的朋友一兆七百亿元 |
[19:20] | Yeah? | |
[19:21] | Charlie’s here. | 查理来了 |
[19:23] | Yes, indeed. charlie. | 是的,查理… |
[19:26] | Charlie, charlie, chaz. | |
[19:27] | I hear you burned down the place last night. | 听说你昨晚把气氛带到最高点 |
[19:29] | “The jackal”? yeah. | 豺狼? 对 没错,有什么事? 柔伊来电话 |
[19:30] | I can bring it. what’s up? | 没错,有什么事? 柔伊来电话 |
[19:31] | Zoey called. what’d she do? | 她做了什么? |
[19:32] | She had a little run-in on campus | 她做了什么? |
[19:34] | With a reporter named edgar drumm | 她在校园碰到 |
[19:36] | Who writes for the charleston citizen. | 查顿民报记者艾卡壮 |
[19:37] | Edgar drumm isn’t a reporter. | 艾卡壮不是记者 |
[19:39] | He’s a bartlet baiter, the charleston citizen | 他是专门陷害巴特勒的高手 |
[19:41] | Is a fund-raising newsletter for the radical right. | 查顿民报不是一份报纸 是为偏激份子募款的简讯 |
[19:44] | What did he ask her? | 他问了她什么? |
[19:45] | If the president’s daughter | 他问她总统的女儿 |
[19:46] | Should be partying with drug dealers. | 是否该跟毒贩一起参加派对 |
[19:47] | Did she talk to him? | 她跟他说话了吗? |
[19:48] | Gina put her in the car. | 吉娜要她上车 |
[19:49] | The thing she wanted me to ask about was this: | 她要我问你的是 |
[19:51] | David arbor is a good friend and she really loves him a lot | 大卫亚柏是她很喜欢的朋友 |
[19:53] | And he’s not a drug dealer, and she wanted to see | 他不是毒贩 |
[19:56] | What you could do about nipping that in the bud. | 她希望你能想办法澄清 |
[19:58] | I can talk to a couple people. | 我可以跟几个人谈谈 |
[19:59] | The guy doesn’t sell drugs, he just buys them | 他不贩毒 |
[20:01] | And takes them and gets unconscious. | 他只吸毒吸到昏迷不醒 |
[20:03] | Zoey and her friends are trying to help him. | 柔伊和她的朋友 现在想帮他的忙 |
[20:04] | In fact, zoey was bringing him back | 事实上,柔伊要把上星期 |
[20:06] | The car keys she confiscated from him last week. | 没收的车钥匙还给他 |
[20:07] | Carol? guys drives a porsche. | 卡洛 他开的是保持捷 |
[20:10] | Tell danny I’m coming to see him. | 告诉丹尼,我要去找他 好的 |
[20:12] | I drove my boyfriend’s porsche once. | 我从前也开过一次 我男友的保持捷 |
[20:13] | How’d it go? | 结果呢? 我把车倒进池塘里 |
[20:14] | Backed it into a pond. | 结果呢? 我把车倒进池塘里 |
[20:15] | Lost your driving privileges? | 因此丧失了开车特权? 男友也没了 |
[20:16] | And the boyfriend. | 不过保持捷确实是好车 是啊 |
[20:17] | It’s a good car, though. | 不过保持捷确实是好车 |
[20:19] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[20:28] | Hey, toby. | 托比 你好,玛格 |
[20:29] | Hey, there, margaret. | 托比 你好,玛格 |
[20:30] | Are you okay? | 你没事吧 |
[20:31] | Yeah. Why wouldn’t I be okay? | 我为什么会有事 |
[20:33] | You don’t usually say, “Hey, there, margaret.” | 你通常不会说“你好,玛格” |
[20:36] | What do I usually say? | 我通常怎么说 |
[20:37] | You usually growl something inaudible. | 你通常咕噜咕噜的听不清楚 |
[20:40] | Not today. | 今天不会 |
[20:41] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[20:42] | You, on the other hand | 倒是你该把皱着眉头解开 |
[20:43] | Should turn that frown upside down. | 你说什么 |
[20:45] | Let a smile be your umbrella, margaret. | 解开眉头,换上笑容 |
[20:47] | Now you’re scaring the crap out of me, toby. | 你吓到了我 |
[20:50] | Hi, bobby. | |
[20:53] | Hi, janet. | |
[20:54] | ( humming ) | |
[20:55] | tax dollars should go to fixing public schools | 税款应用在整修公立学校 |
[20:58] | Not aiding the shipment of students | 不是把学生送进私立学校 |
[21:00] | To private schools, many of which are religious. | 其中很多是教会学校 |
[21:02] | And by the way, I don’t know | 对了,我不知其中的政教分离 |
[21:03] | How you’re getting around the separation Of church and state on that one. | 你要如何处理 |
[21:06] | We have people on the payroll who are experts | 我们的编制中有人是 |
[21:08] | At obfuscating the constitution. | 专门模糊宪法的专家 |
[21:10] | So I’ve noticed. | 我注意到了 |
[21:11] | Anything else? | 还有其他事情吗 |
[21:12] | Oh, yes. | 当然有 |
[21:14] | We’ve been here for an hour. | 我们已经谈了一小时 |
[21:16] | School vouchers provide help for only a few students. | 教育补助方案 只为少数的学生有帮助 |
[21:20] | We’re offering a solution for that. | 我们会提出相对的解决措施 |
[21:21] | You’re offering a lifeboat to the select few | 你的方案是 只为少数人提供救生艇 |
[21:24] | For whom vouchers will make any kind of difference. | 对他们来说有没有教育补助 一点差别都没有 |
[21:26] | Mallory, everything you’re saying makes sense. | 玛勒理,你说的都有道理 |
[21:28] | I just think that the state of urban schools is such | 我认为城里学校的状况已到了 |
[21:30] | That if you can save even one kid… | 救一个孩子… |
[21:32] | You can save more than one kid. | 能救的不止一个孩子 告诉我怎么做 |
[21:34] | Tell me how. | 让国会核准大量的经费 不是一点点,供公立教育之用 |
[21:35] | By asking congress to approve | 让国会核准大量的经费 |
[21:36] | Not just a little, but a lot more money | 不是一点点,供公立教育之用 |
[21:38] | For public education. ( laughing ) what? | 怎么了 |
[21:42] | Public education has been | 四十年来公立教育 |
[21:44] | A public policy disaster for 40 years. | 一直是公共政策的败笔 |
[21:47] | Having spent around four trillion dollars | 从一九六五年开始 |
[21:49] | On public schools since 1965 | 公众教育每年花费四兆元 |
[21:52] | The result has been a steady and inexorable decline | 结果学生的表现 在每一项可测量的标准中 |
[21:54] | In every measurable standard | 稳定而残酷的下降 还不包括健康和安全 但别担心,众议院已在处理了 我真是觉得好多了 |
[21:56] | Of student performance to say nothing | |
[21:57] | Of health and safety, but don’t worry about it | |
[21:59] | Because the u.s. House of representatives is on the case. | |
[22:02] | I feel better already. | |
[22:05] | Wow. | |
[22:07] | What? | 怎么了? |
[22:08] | For a guy who’s trying to date me That was pretty snotty. | 想跟我约会的人居然这么�J |
[22:13] | Hang on, these are office hours. | 慢着,现在是办公时间 |
[22:15] | If I had known I was working on that | 若我知道会影响我们的约会 |
[22:17] | I would have had a whole different attitude. | 我的态度会完全不同 |
[22:19] | Sam? my god. | 山姆… 谢天谢地 |
[22:21] | That meeting on the hill? | 国会山�P的会谈 国会山�P的会谈 |
[22:23] | I’d love to keep talking, mal | 我很想跟你继续谈下去 |
[22:25] | But I have this meeting on the hill. | 但我还得到国会山�P去 |
[22:26] | I canceled it. | 我把它取消了 |
[22:27] | Why? | 为什么? |
[22:29] | You asked me to. | 你要我取消的 |
[22:34] | Yes, I did. | 是的,没错 我再回电给你 |
[22:42] | Danny? | 丹尼 |
[22:43] | Yes. | |
[22:45] | You hear anything about edgar drumm talking to zoey? | 你听到任何关于 艾卡壮跟柔伊谈话的事吗 |
[22:47] | You know what you never do? what? | 有件事你从没提起过 什么事? |
[22:49] | You never tell me you like my suspenders. | 你从没说过你喜欢我的吊带 |
[22:50] | Danny… I’m just saying. | 丹尼… 随便说说而已 |
[22:51] | Edgar drumm. he asked her | 丹尼… 随便说说而已 艾卡壮 |
[22:52] | If the president’s daughter | 他问她总统的女儿 |
[22:54] | Should be partying with drug dealers. | 是否该跟毒贩一起参加派对 |
[22:55] | That’s what I heard. | 我听到的也是这样 |
[22:56] | She said she didn’t know arbor | 她说她不知道大卫亚柏也会去 |
[22:57] | Was going to be there. what? | 什么? |
[23:00] | It’s edgar drum, c.j…… | 那是艾卡壮,没人会… |
[23:01] | Danny… | 丹尼 |
[23:03] | It’s edgar drum, no one… Yeah. | 那是艾卡壮,没人会… |
[23:07] | What? | 怎么了? |
[23:09] | Nothing. | 没事 |
[23:11] | What? | 怎么了 |
[23:12] | Nothing. Those really are nice suspenders. | 没事,你的吊带真的很好看 |
[23:20] | Special field order number 15. | 十五号特殊田地命令 |
[23:22] | What? | 什么? |
[23:24] | I’m saying slavery reparations aren’t anything new. | 我说赔偿奴隶不是新鲜事 |
[23:28] | January 16, 1865, general sherman issued | 一八六五年元月十六日 |
[23:31] | Special field order number 15– | 薛曼将军发布 十五号特殊田地命令 |
[23:33] | Nearly a half-million acres from south carolina to florida | 从南卡州到佛罗里达 将近五十万亩的田地 |
[23:37] | Were divided up into 40-acre plots | 划分成四十亩一块 |
[23:39] | And given to newly-freed slaves. | 发给刚获自由的奴隶 |
[23:40] | He also granted them the use of various decommissioned | 他还准许他们使用各种 |
[23:44] | Army supplies including… | 退役的军方设备包括… |
[23:45] | Mules. yes. | 驴子 是的 |
[23:47] | 40 acres and a mule. | 四十亩地和一只驴子 |
[23:48] | Yes, but the order was rescinded | 是的,但这项命令 |
[23:51] | Four years later by andrew johnson. | 四年后被约翰生总统废除 |
[23:54] | In the ’60s, during the newark riots | 六零年代的纽渥克暴动中 |
[23:57] | You could hear the looters shouting | 劫匪大喊:那是我的四十亩地 |
[23:58] | “That was my 40 acres, I’ll be back for the mule.” | 我会再来取我的驴子 |
[24:02] | Catchy. | 挺顺口的 |
[24:05] | See, if you guys had just paid up on time. | 若你们那时候赔偿过 现在就没事了 |
[24:07] | A lesson well learned. | 很好的教训 |
[24:08] | But… Let’s talk about your confirmation. | 但我们来谈谈你的职位批准 |
[24:11] | Absolutely. | 没问题 |
[24:14] | And… While we’re on the subject of the civil war | 既然我们谈到南北战争 |
[24:18] | Let’s remember the 600,000 white men who died | 别忘了为了奴隶制度 |
[24:22] | Over the issue of slavery. | 而战死的六十万白人 |
[24:24] | Is that why they died? | 他们是为奴隶制度而死吗? |
[24:26] | It’s why a lot of them died, jeff | 很多人是 |
[24:28] | And there’s no other place and time in recorded history Where an event like that has occurred, so… | 人类有史以来唯一的一次 |
[24:34] | Let’s just… leave it at that and move on, okay? | 这我们就不再追究 继续往下讨论好吗? |
[24:38] | Okay. | 好 除了一件事… |
[24:39] | Except to say this… what? | 什么? |
[24:44] | Nothing. | 没事 |
[24:46] | What? | 什么事? |
[24:48] | Let’s move on. | 我们继续讨论 |
[24:52] | Mandy: toby?! | 托比 |
[24:54] | Mandy. | ��蒂 |
[24:55] | You got two seconds? | 你有空吗? |
[24:56] | Madeline, you are charming, and you are brilliant | ��蒂,你既美丽又聪明 |
[24:59] | And for you, I have all the time in the world. | 你有事,我奉陪到底 |
[25:00] | What’s with him? | 他哪根筋不对 |
[25:01] | It’s the day after his day of jubilee. | 他还在庆祝狂欢 |
[25:03] | He never sustains a good mood this long. | 他的好心情从没延续过这么久 |
[25:04] | Bonnie, you are dedicated and you are beautiful. | 邦妮,你尽职敬业又美丽 |
[25:06] | And, ginger, you are other nice things. | 金婕,你优点多多 |
[25:09] | Can I see you inside? | 可以到里面谈吗? |
[25:10] | You bet. | 当然 |
[25:12] | Mandy, I feel like I’ve lost 180 pounds. | ��蒂,我觉得好像减掉 一身肥肉 |
[25:15] | And I’m smiling, I am… Laughing. | 我笑容满面,心情飞扬 |
[25:19] | I’m enjoying the people I work with. | 我热爱跟我一起工作的同仁 |
[25:22] | I’ve got to snap out of this. | 我必须清醒过来 |
[25:24] | What’s on your mind? | 你有什么事? |
[25:27] | I want you to help me get the chinese | 我要你帮我 |
[25:30] | To give us a new panda bear to replace lum-lum. | 向中国要只猫熊顶替兰兰 |
[25:36] | Well, that did the trick. | 真有效,我醒过来了 |
[25:41] | Hey. | |
[25:42] | Hey, what are you doing here? | 你来做什么? 茜洁有事找我 |
[25:43] | C.j. Wanted to see me. | 我告诉她了 是吗? |
[25:45] | I talked to her by the way. yeah? | 我告诉她了 是吗? |
[25:46] | She said she was going to talk to danny. | 她说她会找丹尼谈 |
[25:48] | You could’ve kissed me hello, you know. | 刚才见面时,你应该吻我才对 |
[25:50] | That’s what your dorm room is for. | 那是在你宿舍做的事 胆小鬼 |
[25:51] | Chicken. you better believe it. | 你最好相信,我要远离 |
[25:53] | When I kiss you, I want a good two, three miles Between your mouth and the oval office. | 椭圆形办公室才会吻你 |
[25:57] | Stacy says you’re afraid of showing | 史黛西说你不敢 |
[25:59] | Your affection in public. | 在公开场合表现你的情感 |
[26:00] | Tell stacy to meet me in the middle of union station– | 请史黛西跟我 在联合车站中央见面 |
[26:02] | And let’s see how it goes. | 我让她瞧瞧会有什么结果 |
[26:03] | Hey, charlie, does c.j. Have a problem? | 查理,茜洁说了什么吗? |
[26:06] | Nope. | 没有 |
[26:07] | I wonder what she wants to see my about then. | 不知她找我有什么事 |
[26:09] | I’m not afraid of being affectionate in public. | 我不怕在公开场合表现情感 |
[26:21] | See? | 看吧 |
[26:28] | C.j.? | 茜洁 |
[26:29] | Yeah? | 茜洁 柔伊来了 谢谢 |
[26:30] | Zoey. | 柔伊来了 |
[26:30] | Thanks. Hi. | 谢谢 |
[26:33] | Hey, zoey, thanks for stopping by. | 柔伊,谢谢你赶来 |
[26:35] | Carol, can you get the door? Sure. | 卡洛,请把门关上 |
[26:38] | So, I’m assuming you heard I talked to a guy. | 我想你一定听说 我跟某人说过话 |
[26:40] | Edgar drumm. | 艾卡壮 |
[26:42] | Yeah. I know I’m supposed to just walk away… | 我知道我应该不要理他但… |
[26:44] | But he pushed your buttons a little. | 但他提的问题你非答不可 |
[26:46] | David isn’t a drug dealer… | 大卫不是毒贩 |
[26:47] | Did you tell him you didn’t know that david arbor | 你是否告诉他 |
[26:50] | Was going to be at the party? | 你不知道大卫也会去派对? |
[26:51] | Yeah. | 对 |
[26:52] | Okay. Zoey, I need to know why you lied to him. | 好,我要知道你为何骗他 |
[26:56] | I didn’t. | 我没有… |
[26:58] | And I need to know why you’re lying to me right now. | 我也要知道你现在为何骗我 |
[27:00] | C.j…. | 茜洁… |
[27:01] | If you didn’t know he was going to be there | 若你不知他要去 为何带着他的车钥匙? |
[27:02] | Why’d you have his car keys with you? | 有位克里格先生 被拘留在艾伯奎基 接受我们当地探员侦讯 |
[27:13] | Mr. Derek horgiboum. | 德瑞赫加朋先生扬言 |
[27:15] | Mr. Horgiboum threatened to blow up the smithsonian | 柔伊若不跟他见面 |
[27:18] | Unless zoey bartlet agreed to meet him for a drink. | 将炸毁史密森博物馆 |
[27:21] | Mr. Horgiboum is in custody. | 赫加朋已被拘捕 |
[27:23] | The smithsonian remains open for business. | 史密森博物馆仍照常开放 |
[27:26] | Kelly, you had something? | 凯莉,你有什么要报告的吗? |
[27:28] | The newest sorority pledge stunt | 新的姐妹会组织 |
[27:29] | Is “Get your picture taken with zoey.” | 已拍到你和柔伊的合照 |
[27:32] | Here’s hoping our biggest threat | 希望我们最大的威胁 |
[27:33] | Is from the girls of kappa kappa gamma. | 是来自姐妹会的女孩 |
[27:35] | It’s not. | 没那么好,我们的名单 |
[27:36] | We’re adding some hate groups to the list. | 又增加了些仇恨组织 |
[27:38] | The aryan white resistance | 亚利安白人对抗团 |
[27:40] | The christian defense league | 基督教防御联队 |
[27:42] | The world church of the creator | 造物者世界教会 |
[27:44] | And central new york white pride. | 中纽约白人尊严组织 |
[27:47] | Sir… | 长官? 麦克 |
[27:48] | Mike. | 保护研究办公室说 新近收到的几封信 |
[27:49] | The office of protective research | 保护研究办公室说 |
[27:50] | Says the most recent letters | 新近收到的几封信 |
[27:51] | Have been signed off with the slogan “14 words.” | 署名都有“14字”的口号 |
[27:54] | Butterfield: who can tell me what “14 words” Stands for? | 谁能告诉我14字代表什么? |
[27:56] | “We must secure the existence of white people | “确保白人的生存 |
[27:58] | And a future for white children.” | 和白人孩童的未来” |
[27:59] | That’s right. | 没错,你还有什么要报告 |
[28:00] | What else do you have, gina? | |
[28:02] | Two death threats were received earlier in the week. | 本星期收到两封死亡威胁信 |
[28:03] | One against zoey, one against charlie. | 一封对柔伊,一封对查理 |
[28:05] | They were made with letters cut from a magazine | 字是由杂志上剪下来的 |
[28:08] | And the o.p.r.s identified the paper and typeset | 纸质和字体 |
[28:11] | As resistance magazine. | 经检验是来自“反抗”杂志 |
[28:13] | The magazine is geared towards | 这份杂志的宗旨 |
[28:14] | Recruiting younger people. | 是要吸收年轻人 |
[28:15] | That’s right, sir, and the letters | 是的,长官,信上重覆提到 |
[28:17] | Have repeatedly used the phrase “Following the voice of blood.” | “听从鲜血的声音”这句话 |
[28:21] | What is it? | 那是什么意思? |
[28:22] | It’s the title of the first record | 是一个叫墓园合唱团 |
[28:24] | Of a band called graveland | 第一张唱片的名称 |
[28:25] | Which is very popular among skinheads. | 很受光头族欢迎 |
[28:27] | Sir, I’m fairly convinced | 我确信我们要找的是 |
[28:29] | We’re looking for two 15-year-old boys. | 两名十五岁的少年 |
[28:32] | I think you’re right. | 我想你说的没错 |
[28:34] | Everybody hit the pictures | 每个人都去看相片 |
[28:35] | See who looks familiar from the rope lines. | 围线附近有谁是熟面孔 |
[28:37] | Remember, it could be anyone. | 记住,任何人都有可能,谢谢 |
[28:39] | Thank you. | |
[28:40] | Gina. | 吉娜 |
[28:41] | Yeah. | 茜洁葛瑞在外面,她想进来 好啊 |
[28:42] | C.j. Cregg’s outside. | 茜洁葛瑞在外面,她想进来 |
[28:43] | She wanted to step in. Sure. | 好啊 |
[28:45] | Hi. | 茜洁 |
[28:46] | Hi, c.j. | 茜洁 他们说你在开会,我不想… 我们会开完了 |
[28:47] | They said you were having a briefing… | 他们说你在开会,我不想… 我们会开完了 |
[28:48] | We’re done. | 我只要一分钟 要来杯咖啡吗 |
[28:49] | I just needed a minute. | 我只要一分钟 要来杯咖啡吗 |
[28:50] | You want some coffee? I’m fine. | 不用,我想跟你谈昨晚的派对 |
[28:51] | I just needed to talk to you | 不用,我想跟你谈昨晚的派对 |
[28:53] | About the party last night. | |
[28:54] | Okay. | |
[28:56] | Could you describe what, if any | 你可以描述柔伊 |
[29:00] | Contact zoey might have had With david arbor last night? | 和大卫亚柏的接触情况吗 |
[29:04] | No. I’m sorry. | 不行,抱歉 |
[29:06] | I don’t understand. | 我不明白 |
[29:07] | I’m not permitted to discuss the behavior | 我不可以讨论受保护者的行为 |
[29:10] | Of my protectee. | |
[29:11] | Zoey’s not in trouble. | 柔伊没有惹上麻烦 我知道 |
[29:12] | I understand. | 柔伊没有惹上麻烦 我知道 |
[29:14] | I’m trying to straighten out a discrepancy | 我只想搞清楚 |
[29:15] | In something she told me. | 她告诉我的一些事情 |
[29:17] | I understand. | 我了解 |
[29:19] | Gina, I’m the press secretary. | 吉娜,我是新闻秘书 |
[29:21] | There’s a story that zoey’s involved with | 柔伊涉入一个新闻事件 |
[29:23] | And I need you to tell me | 我需要你告诉我 关于昨晚你所知的情况 |
[29:24] | What you know about last night. | 我需要你告诉我 关于昨晚你所知的情况 |
[29:25] | I’m sorry, c.j., I can’t protect her | 对不起,茜洁 |
[29:26] | If she feels like she’s got to do things | 若她觉得必须对我有所隐瞒 那我就无法保护她 |
[29:29] | Behind my back. | 我不能讨论受保护人的行为 |
[29:30] | I’m not permitted | 我不能讨论受保护人的行为 |
[29:31] | To discuss the behavior of the protectee. | |
[29:33] | Okay. Thanks. | 好吧,谢谢 |
[29:36] | C.j.– | 茜洁 |
[29:38] | The thing with the reporter this morning– | 碰到记者那件事,发生得很快 |
[29:40] | It was fast, it was physical | 我跟他有肢体冲突 |
[29:42] | She’s 19 years old | 她才十九岁 |
[29:43] | And she thought her father was in trouble. | 她以为她父亲遭遇困难 |
[29:46] | Okay. Thanks. I appreciate it. | 谢谢,我很感激,对不起… |
[29:49] | Sorry about… No problem. | 没关系 |
[29:51] | I’ll see you later. | 再见 |
[29:52] | You sure you don’t want to sit and have some coffee? | 你真的不想坐一会,喝杯咖啡 |
[29:54] | I’m going to look through | 我正要看看联邦调查局的 |
[29:56] | An fbi photo album of teenage nazis. | 青少年纳粹相片档案 |
[29:58] | Why? | 为什么? |
[29:59] | I’m on a break. | 现在是我休息时间 |
[30:03] | See you later. | 再见 |
[30:05] | Sam: it occurs to me, mallory | 我想到你从小学、中学 |
[30:06] | That you attended a private primary school A private high school and a private college. | 到大学读的都是私立学校 |
[30:11] | What’s your point? | 你想说什么? |
[30:12] | Well, just that liberals have no problem | 自由主义者不反对 |
[30:14] | With rich kids going to expensive private schools | 有钱人小孩上昂贵的私立学校 |
[30:16] | That doesn’t undermine public education. | 那对公立教育不造成影响 |
[30:18] | And liberals have no problem with middle class kids | 自由主义者也不反对 |
[30:20] | Going to parochial schools | 中产阶级小孩上私立学校 |
[30:22] | That doesn’t undermine public education… | 那对公立教育也不造影响 |
[30:23] | Hang on! | 慢着… |
[30:24] | But the idea that letting poor public school students | 但以为让穷人家小孩上 |
[30:26] | Choose private alternatives | 私立学校会破坏公立教育 |
[30:27] | Would destroy public education | 这种想法 |
[30:29] | Is simply contrary to our experience. | 和我们的经验正好相反 |
[30:30] | Boston latin, the oldest public school in america | 波士顿拉丁学校 全美国最老的公立学校 |
[30:33] | Is still the best secondary school in new england. | 至今仍是新英格兰最好的中学 |
[30:35] | Great– but they’re not all boston latin and bronx science, sam | 很好,但并非所有学校 都是最好的学校 |
[30:38] | And since when were the liberals the other guys | 而且“自由主义者” |
[30:40] | In conversations that you have? ( knocking ) | 是从哪里冒出来的? |
[30:43] | Excuse me– hi, mal. hey, c.j. | 对不起,你好,玛勒理 你好,茜洁 |
[30:45] | You got a second? | 有空吗? |
[30:46] | Absolutely. Excuse me. | 当然有,恕我失陪 |
[30:51] | Edgar drumm ambushed zoey when she was coming out of lunch. | 艾卡壮在柔伊没防备时 对她提出问题 |
[30:53] | On campus?! | 在校园里? 对 |
[30:54] | Yeah– she said she didn’t know | 在校园里? 对 |
[30:56] | David arbor was going to be there when she did know | 她说她不知道 大卫亚柏会去派对 |
[30:57] | David arbor would be there. | 其实她知道他会去 |
[30:58] | Why did she lie? | 她为何要说谎? |
[30:59] | Spend time surrounded by reporters | 整天被记者围绕 |
[31:01] | It becomes instinct. | 说谎成了本能 |
[31:02] | Doesn’t sound bad. | 听起来还好 |
[31:04] | Make sure the president doesn’t get involved. | 但千万别让总统被扯进来 |
[31:05] | Yeah, well, when he hears someone talked to her on campus… | 要是他知道 有记者跑进校园找她… |
[31:08] | You’re going to have to sit on it. | 你必须压住他 |
[31:10] | I’m not going to be able to. | 我办不到 |
[31:11] | You have to. sam! | 一定要 山姆… 茜洁,你不能在他面前退缩 你必须顶撞他 |
[31:12] | C.j., you can’t back down in front of him. | 茜洁,你不能在他面前退缩 |
[31:13] | You got to get in his face. | 你必须顶撞他 |
[31:15] | Get in the president’s face? | 顶撞总统? 对 |
[31:17] | Yeah. | 这是你的建议 对 |
[31:17] | That’s your advice? | 这是你的建议 对 |
[31:18] | Yeah. | 好吧,其他人有其他意见… |
[31:19] | Okay. | 好吧,其他人有其他意见… |
[31:20] | Does anyone else | |
[31:21] | Have any advice they could, uh… | |
[31:23] | C.j., listen to me. | 茜洁,听我说,这是你的工作 |
[31:24] | It’s your job. It’s what he needs you to do. | 他需要你这么做 |
[31:29] | Yes. | 是的 |
[31:31] | Can I ask you something? | 我可以问你一件事吗? |
[31:32] | Sure. | 当然可以 |
[31:34] | I would like to see mallory socially | 我想跟玛勒理交往 |
[31:36] | But i… I can’t seem to get her past This fight that we’re having. | 但我们的争论似乎没完没了 |
[31:43] | Tell her you want to continue the fight over lunch. | 告诉她 你想在午餐时继续辩论 |
[31:45] | That’s good. | 这招高明 |
[31:46] | Yeah. | 这招高明 |
[31:47] | That’s very good advice. | 这个建议很好 |
[31:48] | Certainly better advice Than “Get in the president’s face.” | 当然比顶撞总统好多了 |
[31:51] | I’m going to go back to my office. | 我要回我办公室去 |
[31:52] | Cool. I’m going to go check the want ads. | 去吧,我要去看征人广告 |
[31:54] | Good luck. | 祝你好运 |
[31:58] | A panda bear to replace dim sum. | 要一只猫熊以取代“点心”? |
[32:00] | Lum-lum. | 兰兰 |
[32:01] | Do you mean hsing-hsing? | 你说的不会是欣欣吧 |
[32:03] | Hsing-hsing– That was his name– hsing-hsing. | 欣欣,对,欣欣才对 |
[32:06] | Hsing-hsing was given to us as a gift | 欣欣是尼克森时期 |
[32:08] | From the chinese government when nixon… | 中国政府送给我们的… |
[32:10] | I know. | 我知道 欣欣很寂寞,所以中国 又送了一只给他作伴 |
[32:11] | And then hsing-hsing got lonely | 欣欣很寂寞,所以中国 |
[32:13] | So the chinese sent a mate over | 又送了一只给他作伴 |
[32:15] | And I think it’s name was ping. | 这只好像叫平平 |
[32:17] | Ling. | 玲玲 |
[32:18] | ling. | 也可能是平平 |
[32:19] | It may have been ping. | 也可能是平平 总之平平死了 欣欣郁郁寡欢 |
[32:20] | Well, whatever. | 总之平平死了 |
[32:21] | Ping or ling dies, hsing-hsing mourns– | 欣欣郁郁寡欢 |
[32:23] | Panda bears, it turns out, mourn– | 猫熊居然也会哀悼 |
[32:26] | And for hsing-hsing | 对欣欣而言 |
[32:27] | It seemed like the time was unendurable. | 这段哀悼期简直难以忍受 |
[32:29] | I know exactly how he felt. | 我完全了解他的感受 |
[32:31] | Anyway, as you know | 你也知道 |
[32:33] | Hsing-hsing succumbed to liver disease And passed away early this year. | 欣欣今年初因患肝病去世 |
[32:36] | Yes. | 是的 |
[32:37] | And I was thinking that it would be a good idea | 我想为了显示我们 |
[32:39] | As a symbol to signal how serious we are About our relationship with china | 有多重视与中国的关系 |
[32:43] | If we asked them for another bear. | 应该可以 再向他们要一只熊猫 |
[32:47] | I think it would be a good idea, as a symbol | 我们想中国为了显示 |
[32:49] | To signal that china is serious about their relationship with us | 重视与我们的关系 |
[32:53] | If they stopped running over their citizens with tanks. | 应该停止用坦克车 压过他们的人民 |
[32:55] | Toby… mandy! | 托比… ��蒂 |
[32:56] | Call the embassy, have them | 打电话给中国大使馆 |
[32:57] | Send us over a damn bear. | 要他们送只熊过来 |
[32:58] | What’s the problem? | 这有什么困难吗? |
[32:59] | First of all, pandas are very rare | 首先,猫熊是稀有动物 |
[33:02] | And there are, maybe, a thousand of them | 全世界只有一千多只 |
[33:04] | And they’re only in china. | 而且中国才有 |
[33:05] | We only need one. | 我们只需要一只 |
[33:06] | We need two. why? | 我们需要两只 |
[33:08] | Because the other one will get lonely! | 为什么? 因为一只… |
[33:09] | Then have them send us two. | 会寂寞 那就请他们送两只过来 |
[33:11] | Secondly, china’s not inclined to give us gifts. | 第二,中国现在 不太可能送我们礼物 |
[33:14] | Then get us two regular bears | 那就送我们两只普通的熊 |
[33:15] | A bucket of black paint, bucket of white paint | 和一桶黑漆,一桶白漆 |
[33:17] | Bam, bam, next case. | 这样不就解决了吗? |
[33:18] | It’s hard to believe | 难怪野生动物工作者 听到你就伤脑筋 |
[33:19] | That the wildlife lobby was nervous about you. | 难怪野生动物工作者 听到你就伤脑筋 |
[33:22] | I know. I’m Mr. Wildlife. | 我知道,我是野生动物先生 |
[33:22] | Toby… | 托比… ��蒂… |
[33:23] | Mandy! | 托比… ��蒂… |
[33:33] | What made you think I’d be interested in this? | 你为何认为 我对这件事会有兴趣 |
[33:36] | Josh said you were my man. | 乔西说你是我的最佳人选 |
[33:39] | Josh. | 乔西 |
[33:39] | Yeah. | 乔西 说我是你的最佳人选 |
[33:40] | Said I was your man. | 说我是你的最佳人选 |
[33:41] | Yes. | |
[33:45] | Well… | |
[33:47] | I have to say, mandy | 我要说…你成熟的态度 |
[33:49] | I’m impressed with how much you’ve grown. | 真让我刮目相看 |
[33:50] | What do you mean? | 什么意思? |
[33:51] | There was a time | 什么意思? 从前你要是被乔西这样耍 你会立刻还以颜色 |
[33:52] | If you got played by josh like this | 从前你要是被乔西这样耍 |
[33:54] | You’d want to get back at him right away | 你会立刻还以颜色 |
[33:55] | And it’s good to see you rise above that. | 真高兴见到你已超越那层次 |
[33:57] | What do you mean, “Played”? | 你说“耍”是什么意思 |
[33:58] | He used you to have a little fun with me | 他利用你来捉弄我 |
[34:01] | ’cause he’s got to deal with breckenridge | 因为我要他去处理 |
[34:03] | On slavery reparations. | 布肯吉奴隶赔偿的事 |
[34:04] | He played me. | 他耍我? |
[34:05] | Yeah, but it’s good to see you get past that. | 没错,但你已超越了那层次 |
[34:07] | He played me? | 他耍我? |
[34:08] | Like a two-dollar banjo. | 像耍猴戏一样 |
[34:15] | Help me. | 帮个忙? |
[34:18] | Do what? | 做什么 |
[34:21] | Cause josh pain. | 让乔西好看 |
[34:24] | Hmm. | |
[34:26] | Okay. | |
[34:28] | Hey, dad. yeah. | 爸 |
[34:30] | Can you hold? | 请稍候 |
[34:31] | Dad, I’m sorry, but sam asked me | 爸,对不起打扰你 山姆约我去吃午饭 |
[34:32] | To have lunch with him and I need your permission. | 我需要你的许可 请稍候 |
[34:35] | Hang on. What do you need my permission to have lunch for? | 你吃午餐 干嘛需要我的许可 |
[34:38] | Sam? she says she always asks | 山姆 |
[34:40] | Her father’s permission before she has lunch with fascists. | 她说她要跟法西斯份子共进 午餐都要经过她父亲的许可 |
[34:42] | Oh, yeah. Okay. | 好吧 |
[34:44] | He’s in favor of school vouchers, dad. | 他支持就学教育补助,爸 |
[34:46] | No, mallory, he’s really not. | 不,他其实不支持 他支持 |
[34:47] | Yes, he is. | 他不支持 我看过建议书 |
[34:48] | No, he’s not. | 他不支持 |
[34:49] | I read the position paper. | 我看过建议书 |
[34:51] | It’s opposition prep. | 那是反对意见陈述 |
[34:52] | “Opposition prep”? | 反对意见陈述? |
[34:53] | When we’re gearing up for a debate | 我们在准备辩论时 |
[34:55] | We have the smart guys take the other side. | 会找人当反方 |
[34:58] | You stood there and argued with me. | 你居然跟我辩了那么久? 是的 |
[34:59] | Yes. why? | 为什么? |
[35:00] | You made an appointment. | 你跟我约了时间 |
[35:02] | Would the two of you take it outside? | 要吵你们去外面吵 |
[35:03] | I thought you were trying to drive a wedge between us. | 你不是想离间分化我们吗? |
[35:05] | Yeah, but now you’re just boring the crap out of me. | 没错,但我现在被你们烦死了 |
[35:07] | Hey… mallory… | 玛勒理,教育是百年大计 |
[35:09] | Education is the silver bullet. Education is everything. | 是最重要的事情 |
[35:13] | We don’t need little changes | 我们需要的不是小改变 |
[35:14] | We need gigantic, monumental changes. | 是巨大的变革 |
[35:16] | Schools should be palaces. | 学校应该是宫殿 |
[35:18] | The competition for the best teachers Should be fierce. | 优良教师选拔的竞争应很激烈 |
[35:21] | They should be making six-figure salaries. | 他们的薪水应是六位数字 |
[35:22] | Schools should be incredibly expensive for government | 政府应花费无数资金来办学校 |
[35:25] | And free-of-charge to its citizens | 民众就学应是完全免费 |
[35:26] | Just like national defense– | 就如同国防一样 |
[35:28] | That’s my position. | 这是我的立场 |
[35:32] | I just haven’t figured out how to do it yet. | 我只是还没想出怎么做 |
[35:37] | You stood there and argued with me. | 你还跟我辩了那么久 |
[35:41] | We can continue the argument | 我们可以继续辩论 |
[35:42] | But it’s lunchtime now. | 但现在是午餐时间 |
[35:43] | We’re going to have lunch. | 我们去吃午餐 |
[35:45] | You’re taking over? | 你要采取主动? |
[35:47] | I’m taking over. Mmm. | 我要采取主动 |
[35:50] | Dad? | 爸 |
[35:51] | Yes, you may go have lunch with the fascist. | 好,你可以跟 法西斯份子共进午餐 |
[35:55] | Come along, sam. | 走吧,山姆 |
[35:58] | You’re doing fine. | 你的表现不错 |
[36:01] | Okay. | 好 |
[36:09] | Mr. President? | 总统先生 查理 |
[36:10] | Charlie. | 总统先生 查理 |
[36:11] | Sir, your lunch with Mr. Girardi got canceled. | 总统,你跟季拉迪先生 的午餐会面取消了 |
[36:13] | I heard. | 我听说了,这是我就职以来 |
[36:15] | That’s the first time anyone’s canceled lunch on me Since I took office. | 第一次被人放鸽子 |
[36:18] | He meant no offense, sir. | 我相信季拉迪先生无失礼之意 |
[36:20] | He was taken to the hospital with pneumonia. | 他因肺炎住院了 |
[36:22] | I’m not saying he didn’t have a good excuse. | 我相信他爽约 一定有很好的理由 |
[36:24] | What are you reading? | 你在看什么书? |
[36:26] | rules of civility and decent behavior | 乔治华盛顿写的“礼仪规范” |
[36:28] | in company and conversation | |
[36:30] | By george washington. | |
[36:31] | the george washington? | 国父乔治华盛顿? |
[36:32] | The rules were drawn from an english translation | 这些规矩来自 |
[36:34] | Of a french book of maxims. | 一本法文格言的英译本 |
[36:36] | Washington copied them down when he was 14 years old. | 华盛顿十四岁时把它们抄下来 |
[36:40] | “When you sit down, keep your feet firm | 坐下时,双脚要稳定平放 |
[36:43] | “And even, without putting one on the other “Or crossing them. | 不可交叉或跷腿 |
[36:47] | “Put not off your clothes | 在他人面前不可脱衣 |
[36:48] | “In the presence of others Nor go out of your chamber half-dressed.” | 亦不可衣衫不整走出房间 |
[36:52] | What a tightassed little priss he must’ve been. | 他一定是个非常拘谨的小孩 |
[36:58] | Yes, sir. | 是的,先生 |
[36:59] | Do you think I could take george washington? | 你认为我赢得了乔治华盛顿吗 |
[37:03] | Take him at what, sir? | 在哪里方面赢过他? |
[37:04] | I don’t know– a war? | 就说…打仗吧 |
[37:06] | Could you have taken george washington in a war? | 你打仗能否赢过华盛顿? |
[37:09] | Yeah. | 对 |
[37:10] | Well… | 你有空军,他有民兵,对吗? |
[37:12] | You’d have the air force | |
[37:13] | And he’d have the minutemen, right? | |
[37:14] | The minutemen were good. | 那些民兵很强 |
[37:16] | Still, I think you’d probably take him. | 话虽如此,我想你可以打赢他 |
[37:18] | Yeah. | 是 |
[37:19] | C.j.’s here. | 茜洁来了 |
[37:20] | You can send her in. | 请她进来 |
[37:23] | C.j.! | 茜洁 总统先生 |
[37:24] | Mr. President. | 在人面前,不要以手遮脸 |
[37:25] | “When in company, put not your hands | 在人面前,不要以手遮脸 |
[37:27] | To any part of the body not usually covered.” | |
[37:31] | Well, I do what it takes | 我尽量让记者们满意 |
[37:33] | To keep the press corps happy, Mr. President. | |
[37:35] | Yeah, you’re right. | 你说得对,有什么事? |
[37:36] | What’s going on? | |
[37:38] | Don’t blow your stack, all right? | 别生气好吗? |
[37:41] | What is going on? | 出了什么事? |
[37:43] | Zoey lied to a reporter. | 柔伊对一个记者说谎 |
[37:45] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么? |
[37:46] | She was asked, “Should the president’s daughter | 她被问到总统的女儿 |
[37:48] | Be partying with drug dealers?” | 是否该跟毒贩一同参加派对 |
[37:49] | She said she didn’t know david arbor | 她说她不知道大卫亚柏也会来 |
[37:51] | Was going to be at the party Except she did know. | 其实她知道 |
[37:54] | Why did she lie? | 她为何要说谎? |
[37:56] | She didn’t have to. | 其实大可不必 |
[37:57] | Then why did she? | 那她为何说谎? |
[37:58] | ’cause sometimes 19-year-old girls | 因为十九岁的女孩 |
[38:00] | Lie when they don’t have to. | 有时会在不必说谎时说谎 |
[38:01] | She never has to. she knows that. | 她永远不必说谎 她知道 |
[38:02] | Apparently she doesn’t. | 显然她不知道 |
[38:04] | Mr. President, give her a break. | 总统先生,饶她一次 |
[38:06] | This thing’s happened to her friend | 这件事和她朋友有关 |
[38:08] | She doesn’t know how it affects her father | 她不知是否会影响她的父亲 |
[38:09] | Edgar drumm is shouting at her | 艾卡壮在她下课时大声询问她 |
[38:10] | While she comes out of class– she choked. | 她一时反应不过来 |
[38:12] | A reporter talked to her on campus? | 记者在校园跟她说话? |
[38:14] | Mr. President… Sir… | 总统先生… 茜洁… |
[38:15] | C.j., put the press in the briefing room | 请记者们到简报室集合 |
[38:16] | And tell them I’m coming right over. | 告诉他们我马上过去 |
[38:18] | No. | 不行 茜洁… |
[38:19] | C.j.! no, sir. | 不行,总统 |
[38:21] | We have been over this and we have been over this | 不行,总统 |
[38:23] | And we’ve been over this! | 这件事我重申过不知多少次 |
[38:24] | They are not supposed to talk to her on campus. | 他们不能到校园访问我的女儿 |
[38:26] | It was edgar drumm. | 这次是艾卡壮… |
[38:26] | I don’t give a damn | 这次是艾卡壮… |
[38:28] | If it was the bergen county shopper’s guide! | 是天皇老子,我也不管 |
[38:30] | I’m talking to the press. | 我要跟记者们说话 |
[38:31] | You can’t talk to the press. watch me. | 你不能跟记者说话 等着瞧 |
[38:32] | Mr. President, this isn’t about your daughter | 我告诉你,总统先生 我们说的不是你的女儿 |
[38:34] | It’s about the first daughter, and that’s my job | 是总统的女儿 |
[38:36] | And you’re not going down there! | 这是我的工作,你不能去 |
[38:37] | You, me, charlie and zoey are the only four people | 只有你、我、查理和柔伊四人 |
[38:40] | Who know she was lying | 知道她在说谎 |
[38:42] | And there’s no reason it doesn’t need to stay that way! | 我们不必让其他人知道 |
[38:43] | It’s a non-story! | 现在这事不算新闻 |
[38:45] | You go down there and it’s a big story! ( heavy sigh ) | 你过去就是大新闻 |
[38:58] | So I just sit in my office and fume? | 我只好坐在办公室里生闷气? |
[39:00] | Yes. | 是的,若有人问起 |
[39:02] | And if anybody asks you You haven’t heard anything about it. | 你什么都不知道 |
[39:06] | Fine. | 好 |
[39:07] | Mr. President. | 总统先生? 什么事 |
[39:08] | What? | 总统先生? 什么事 |
[39:09] | Did you know he jumped out at zoey? | 你知道他冲向柔伊 |
[39:10] | Gina toscano put him into a wall? | 吉娜把他推到墙边吗? |
[39:12] | Excellent. sir… | 好极了 |
[39:14] | I haven’t heard anything about it. | 总统先生… 我没听说 |
[39:16] | Very good. | 很好 |
[39:17] | I could take george washington, by the way. | 顺便告诉你 我可以打赢乔治华盛顿 |
[39:19] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 |
[39:21] | Anything else? | 还有事吗? |
[39:23] | No, sir. | 没有了 |
[39:24] | Thank you, c.j. | 谢谢你,茜洁 |
[39:26] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢你,总统先生 |
[39:33] | How about the japanese? | 日本人呢? 我就知道你会提起日本人 |
[39:34] | I knew you’d bring up the japanese. | 我就知道你会提起日本人 |
[39:36] | We gave $1.2 billion to japanese-americans | 日裔美国人被关在拘留营 |
[39:38] | Who were in internment camps. | 我们付给他们一亿两千万元 |
[39:39] | They were in internment camps. | 他们真的被关在拘留营里 |
[39:40] | Bring me a living slave and you got a case. | 带一个活的黑奴来给我 你的诉求案就会成立 |
[39:42] | I think I’ve got a case without the living slave | 没有活的黑奴 我的案子已成立 |
[39:44] | But I’m just a civil rights expert | 但我只是个黑人民权专家 |
[39:46] | So what do I know? | 我懂什么? |
[39:47] | Jeff, the community’s going to be looking | 杰夫,委员会需要讲点现实 |
[39:49] | For a certain degree of practicality. We don’t have $1.7 trillion. | 我们没有一兆七千亿元 |
[39:53] | In order to raise $1.7 trillion, we would have to sell texas | 为了筹这笔巨款,我们必须 |
[39:58] | And the u.s. Navy. | 卖掉德州和美国海军 |
[40:00] | I understand the predicament | 我了解这个困境 |
[40:01] | And I’m willing to give you a break. | 我愿意放你一马 |
[40:03] | We’ll take our money in tax deductions | 我们愿以减税和奖学金的形式 |
[40:04] | And scholarship funds, how about that? | 领取这笔钱,这样如何? |
[40:06] | How about taking it in affirmative action | 就以已制定公平就业法案 |
[40:08] | And empowerment zones and the civil rights act? | 赋能区域法案和民权法案如何 |
[40:10] | Three things which we wouldn’t have needed | 我们本来根本不需要 |
[40:12] | In the first place… | 这三项法案 |
[40:13] | Jeff, I’d love to give you the money, I really would | 我真的很想给你那笔钱 |
[40:16] | But I’m a little short on cash right now. | 但我现在手头有点紧 |
[40:17] | You see, the s.s. Officer | 因为我祖父 |
[40:18] | Forgot to give my grandfather his wallet back | 从集中营被放出来时 |
[40:21] | When he let him out of birkenau. | 纳粹军官忘了把皮夹还给他 |
[40:23] | Your beef’s with the germans. | 那是你跟德国人的恩怨 |
[40:24] | You’re damn right it is! | 你说的完全正确 |
[40:35] | What the hell are we talking about? | 我们现在到底在说什么? |
[40:42] | We have laws in this country. | 这国家有法律,犯法就要罚款 |
[40:45] | You break them, you pay your fine. | |
[40:49] | You break god’s laws, that’s a different story. | 触犯上帝的法律 那是另外一回事 |
[40:53] | You can’t kidnap a civilization | 但不能绑架一个种族 |
[40:56] | And sell them into slavery. | 把他们变卖为奴 |
[40:57] | No amount of money will make up for it. | 再多的钱也无法靡补 |
[40:59] | And all you have to do | 看看两百年后 |
[41:01] | Is look 200 years later At race relations in this country. | 这国家的种族关系 |
[41:05] | Yes. | 是的 |
[41:05] | No amount of money will make up it. | 再多的钱也无法靡补 |
[41:07] | Yes. | 是的 |
[41:12] | You got a dollar? | 你有一元钞票吗? |
[41:16] | Yeah. | |
[41:17] | Take it out. | 拿出来,看看背面 |
[41:19] | Look at the back. | |
[41:25] | The seal, the pyramid– | 那个图记 |
[41:27] | It’s unfinished. | 那个金字塔,没有完成 |
[41:29] | With the eye of god looking over it | 上面有上帝的眼睛在看着它 |
[41:31] | And the words “Annuit coeptis.” | 字写着:上帝支持我们的作为 |
[41:33] | “He, god, favors our undertaking.” | |
[41:37] | The seal is meant to be unfinished | 那图记原本就不打算完成 |
[41:40] | Because this country’s meant to be unfinished. | 因为这国家还要继续建设 |
[41:42] | We’re meant to keep doing better. | 我们还要继续努力 |
[41:45] | We’re meant to keep discussing and debating | 继续讨论争辩 |
[41:47] | And we’re meant to read books by great historical scholars | 我们要读伟大的历史学者 |
[41:51] | And then talk about them | 所写的书,并加以讨论 |
[41:52] | Which is why I lent my name to a dust cover. | 这就是我在封套上留名的原因 |
[41:57] | I want to be your assistant attorney general | 我想当你们的民权副检察总长 |
[41:59] | For civil rights. | |
[42:00] | I’ll do an outstanding job for all people in this country. | 我会做得有声有色 为全国人民服务 |
[42:04] | You got any problem with me saying all that to the committee? | 我要对委员会说这番话 你有意见吗? |
[42:08] | No. | 没有 |
[42:10] | Good. | 很好,你饿了吗 |
[42:12] | You hungry? | 饿了 |
[42:13] | Yeah. | 我请你吃午餐 好啊 |
[42:13] | Let me buy you lunch. | 我请你吃午餐 |
[42:14] | Yeah, okay. | 好啊 |
[42:19] | Hey, jeff… | 杰夫 |
[42:20] | Yeah? | 杰夫 |
[42:21] | There’s going to be a lot of these meetings | 以后我们见面的机会很多 |
[42:22] | Before your confirmation. | |
[42:23] | Why don’t you let me get you lunch this time? | 这次让我请,下次再轮到你 |
[42:25] | You get it next time. | |
[42:27] | Yeah. Okay. | 好啊 |
[42:28] | Okay. | |
[42:31] | Hey, suzanne. |