时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:04] | previously on the west wing: | |
[00:06] | You guys look like you could use a client. | 你们好像需要找个客户 |
[00:07] | What do you say? you want to work for | 怎么样 |
[00:09] | The leader of the free world? | 想为自由世界的领导人工作吗 |
[00:10] | We’ve been doing this for a year and all we’ve gotten is a year older. | 我们上任一年 除马齿徒增外,一无所成 |
[00:13] | Our job approval is 48%, and I think that number’s soft | 民调显示我们的 工作表现认同度是48% 我认为这数字很逊 |
[00:16] | And I’m tired of being a field captain | 我也厌倦了当 |
[00:17] | For the gang that couldn’t shoot straight. | 这成事不足团队的队长 |
[00:19] | You ran great guns in the campaign | 你在选战中获胜 |
[00:22] | And then you drove to the middle of the road | 但宣誓就职后,状况百出 |
[00:24] | The moment after you took the oath. | |
[00:26] | I wanted a democrat | 我要个民主党总统 |
[00:28] | And instead I got you. | 但却冒出你这程咬金 |
[00:30] | Leo, there are times when we are absolutely nowhere. | 里奥,有时候 我们真的里外不是人 “放手一搏” |
[00:40] | Toby: is it going to rain? | 是不是要下雨了? “星期一上午,白宫联络室” |
[00:41] | Sam: no. | 不是 |
[00:43] | it looks like it’s going to rain. | 看起来好像要下雨 |
[00:44] | It’s overcast. | 只是乌云密布而已 |
[00:47] | Isn’t that usually what it is before it rains? | 下雨前不是都这样吗? |
[00:49] | Yes. | 是的 但今天呢? |
[00:50] | But in this case? | 是的 但今天呢? |
[00:51] | It’s not going to rain till later today. | 要到下午才会下雨 |
[00:53] | If it rains, please remember | 若是下雨,请记得更改开场白 |
[00:55] | To change the opening line. | |
[00:56] | It’s not going to rain till 1:00, maybe 2:00. | 要到下午一两点才会下雨 |
[00:58] | Yeah, but if you’re wrong | 若你错了,就得更改开场白 |
[01:00] | You got to change the opening line. | |
[01:02] | I’m not getting this from morning drive-time radio, toby. | 我的气象资讯不是 早上开车时从收音机听来的 |
[01:05] | I’m getting this from first lieutenant emily lowenbrau | 是美国海岸防卫队 |
[01:08] | Of the u.s. Coast guard, who would not let me down. | 艾蜜莉罗文柏上尉给我的 |
[01:10] | She has a very, really, a very… Comforting voice. | 我相信她 |
[01:12] | Okay, here’s my thing. | 因为她的声音让人很放心 |
[01:14] | If you’re wrong… | 我要说的是,若你错了 |
[01:15] | If the coast guard is wrong… | 海岸防卫队错了 |
[01:18] | The remarks open with “As I look out | 这篇讲稿开头第一句是 |
[01:21] | Over this magnificent vista.” | 我看到这片美好的景致 |
[01:23] | If the event gets moved indoors | 若演讲改到室内 |
[01:25] | He will no longer be looking out over a vista of any kind. | 总统看不见任何美好的景致 |
[01:29] | Do you honestly think he can’t | 你以为他不会当场修改吗 |
[01:30] | Change that on his feet? | 你以为他不会当场修改吗 |
[01:31] | Do you honestly think the president | 你以为总统不知道 |
[01:33] | Doesn’t know where he is when he’s giving a speech? | 他演讲的地点是哪里吗 |
[01:35] | This isn’t a major policy address, sam. | 这不是重大政策宣示 |
[01:36] | This is five minutes in front | 是对全国鳟鱼钓鱼协会 |
[01:38] | Of the united organization of trout fishermen | 发表五分钟谈话 |
[01:40] | I’m saying, if it gets moved inside. | 我的意思是如果改到室内… |
[01:41] | I got this from the u.s. Coast guard… | 我的气象资讯来自 |
[01:43] | From the national weather service. | 海岸防卫队、国家气象局 |
[01:45] | They use satellites. | 他们有人造卫星,有先进科技 |
[01:46] | They use technology. | |
[01:48] | ( thunder crashing ) | |
[01:52] | This is the same | 就是我们用来侦测洲际 弹道飞弹的卫星科技,对吗 |
[01:53] | Satellite technology we use to detect | 就是我们用来侦测洲际 |
[01:56] | Intercontinental ballistic missiles, right? | 弹道飞弹的卫星科技,对吗 |
[01:58] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[02:00] | All right, then. | 好吧 |
[02:01] | We should move the thing inside. | 我们应把演讲移到室内 |
[02:02] | Sam says it’s probably not | 山姆说要下午才会下雨 |
[02:03] | Going to rain till later. | |
[02:05] | Have either of you heard anything | 你们有没听说有份文件在流传 |
[02:06] | About a piece of paper that’s going around? | |
[02:08] | What piece of paper? | 什么文件? |
[02:09] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[02:10] | At the gaggle, dave trillin asked what I knew | 有人问我是否知道 |
[02:12] | About a piece of paper that’s going around. | 有一份文件在流传 |
[02:14] | Maybe it’s from the campaign. | 可能是竞选时的东西 |
[02:16] | I haven’t heard anything. | 我没听说 我也没有 |
[02:16] | Me either. | 我没听说 我也没有 |
[02:17] | You should find out. | 你该去查清楚 多谢你的建议,托比 |
[02:18] | That’s good advice, toby. | 你该去查清楚 多谢你的建议,托比 |
[02:20] | We’re in the second floor auditorium in the o.e.o.b. | 演讲在旧行政大楼二楼礼堂 |
[02:22] | Are they moving people inside? | 要把其他人叫过去吗? |
[02:24] | They moved them 20 minutes ago. | 他们已经去了 二十分钟前去的 |
[02:25] | Sam: why? | 为什么? |
[02:27] | The weather report said it was going to rain. | 气象报告说会下雨 |
[02:29] | It did? yeah. | 是吗? |
[02:30] | Think it’s possible | 对 |
[02:32] | First lieutenant emily lowenbrau | 艾蜜莉罗文柏上尉在耍我吗? |
[02:34] | Was yanking me around? | |
[02:35] | Where’s the president? | 总统呢? 他已经去了 |
[02:36] | He’s already over there. | 他的心情如何? |
[02:37] | How’s his mood today? | 他的心情如何? 我们共进早餐,他看起来 很有劲,精力充沛,很乐观 |
[02:38] | We had breakfast. | 我们共进早餐,他看起来 |
[02:39] | He seemed very upbeat, very energetic Very optimistic about the day. | 很有劲,精力充沛,很乐观 |
[02:43] | How long do you suppose that’s going to last? | 你看会维持多久? |
[02:44] | President: can we get this godforsaken event over with | 我们快把这要命的事解决掉 |
[02:47] | So I can get back to presiding over a civilization | 我好去处理 |
[02:49] | Gone to hell in a handcart? | 其他伤脑筋的倒霉事 |
[02:50] | Mrs. Landingham: nice talk for a president. | 总统不应该这样说话 别管我 |
[02:51] | Leave me alone. | 总统不应该这样说话 别管我 |
[02:52] | You know what this is? | 你知道是什么事,对吧?先生 什么事? |
[02:53] | What what is? your mood, sir. | 你的情绪 我的情绪没什么不对 |
[02:54] | There’s nothing wrong with my mood. | 你的情绪 我的情绪没什么不对 是你的饮食造成的 你别再提这档事好吗 |
[02:57] | You’re not getting enough roughage. | 你饮食中的纤维质不够 你知道我说的没错 |
[02:58] | You know I’m right. | 你饮食中的纤维质不够 你知道我说的没错 |
[02:59] | I know I’d like to beat you senseless | 我知道我想用包心菜来砸人 |
[03:01] | With a head of cabbage, that’s for damn sure. | 这点我很确定 |
[03:03] | Once again, you display | 你再次表现 |
[03:04] | An immaturity about vegetables | 对蔬菜不成熟的态度 |
[03:06] | That I think is not at all presidential. | 这不是总统应有的表现 |
[03:08] | Charlie, does somebody have my remarks? | 查理,我的演讲稿在哪里? |
[03:10] | Sam’s bringing them. | 山姆会拿过来,总统先生 |
[03:11] | Is toby on his way? yes, sir. | 托比要过来了吗? 是的 |
[03:11] | C.j.? yes, sir. | 茜洁? 是的 |
[03:13] | Why aren’t they here right now? | 他们为什么那么慢? |
[03:14] | They didn’t know it was raining, sir. | 他们不知道下雨了 |
[03:16] | Nothing like surrounding yourself | 亏他们还是我身边 |
[03:18] | With the best and the brightest, charlie. | 最优秀的人才 |
[03:21] | Good morning, sir. | 早安,总统先生 你好,总统 |
[03:22] | Good morning, mr. President. | 早安,总统先生 |
[03:23] | Hello. how are you, sir? | 你好,总统 |
[03:24] | You didn’t know it was raining? | 你们不知道下雨了 |
[03:26] | To our credit, sir, we knew it was raining | 下雨之后,我们才知道下雨了 |
[03:28] | Once it started to rain. | |
[03:29] | Okay. | 好 |
[03:30] | Here are your remarks, sir. | 这是你的演讲稿 |
[03:31] | A couple of things. | 几件事先问清楚 |
[03:33] | Who am I going to be talking to now? | 我要演讲的对象是谁 |
[03:34] | The national organization of trout fishermen. | 全国鳟鱼钓鱼协会 |
[03:36] | No, seriously. Sir. | 不会吧 |
[03:38] | Give me the damn speech. | 稿子给我 |
[03:40] | There’s some very nice anecdotes in there | 里面有几则 |
[03:41] | About trout fishing. | 跟钓鳟鱼有关的趣味故事 |
[03:42] | Have I ever been trout fishing? | 我钓过鳟鱼吗? 可能没有 |
[03:44] | Probably not. okay. | 好 |
[03:45] | Good morning, mr. President. | 好 早安,总统先生 发生了什么事?乔西 |
[03:46] | What’s going on, josh? | 早安,总统先生 发生了什么事?乔西 |
[03:48] | The c.b.o. Is going to revise its outyear projections | 国会预算局要修改 全年度预算 |
[03:50] | Two commissioners resigned from the f.e.c. This morning | 联邦选举委员会 今天早上有两名委员辞职 |
[03:54] | And the n.g.a. endorsed trigger locks. | 全国政府协会支持枪枝管制 |
[03:56] | How much? | 修改多少? |
[03:57] | The projections? Yeah. | 预算吗? |
[03:59] | Uh… Maybe $200 billion. | 可能两千亿 |
[04:01] | Hang on. | 慢着,两名选举委员辞职? |
[04:03] | Two f.e.c. commissioners resigned? Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 |
[04:05] | There are two seats open on the f.e.c.? | 联邦选举委员会有两个空缺 |
[04:07] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[04:08] | This is interesting. | 真有意思 |
[04:09] | Sir, this is not the world’s best time | 现在不是抒发理想的时候… |
[04:11] | To go off on a flight of idealistic… | |
[04:13] | Leo, two seats just opened up on the federal election commission. | 里奥,联邦选举委员会 有两个空缺 |
[04:16] | And the senate leadership will fill them. | 参议院党团会找递补人选 |
[04:19] | What if this time we say we want our guys? | 若这次我说要用我们的人呢 |
[04:21] | We won’t win. | 我们不会赢 |
[04:21] | We can dangle our feet | 对,但我们可以吹皱一池春水 |
[04:23] | In the water. not a good idea. | 这样不好吧 乔西… |
[04:24] | Josh… | 总统先生 |
[04:25] | You’re thinking about changing The nature of democracy. | 那会改变民主政治的特性 |
[04:28] | I’m talking about dangling our feet in the water. | 我是想掀起一点波浪 |
[04:30] | Josh, get leo two candidates who back aggressive | 乔西,替里奥找两个 |
[04:32] | Campaign finance reform. | 支持竞选经费改革的人 |
[04:34] | Sir, I got to stand with leo on this. | 总统,这件事我的看法 |
[04:36] | I think that, uh… | 和里奥一样,我认为… |
[04:37] | I’m not saying jump off the boat, josh. | 我不是要完全颠覆 |
[04:38] | I’m saying dangle our feet. | 只要制造一点波浪 |
[04:41] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 |
[04:42] | Mr. President? | 是的,总统 总统先生 好的,谁提醒我一下 |
[04:43] | Yes. Somebody. | 总统先生 好的,谁提醒我一下 |
[04:45] | United organization | 全国鳟鱼钓鱼协会 谢谢 |
[04:46] | Of trout fishermen. | 全国鳟鱼钓鱼协会 |
[04:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[04:48] | You going to concentrate on this now? | 你是要专心演讲 |
[04:49] | Or on changing the nature of democracy? | 还是要想改变民主政治的事 |
[04:52] | I’m thinking about trout fishermen | 我一定会想着鳟鱼钓者 |
[04:54] | ’cause that’s where my focus should be. | 因为那是我现在应专注的事 |
[04:55] | You were in a better mood an hour ago. | 你一小时前心情比较好 |
[04:57] | I was in a better mood a year ago. | 我一年前心情比较好 |
[04:58] | Does anybody know anything | 有人知道有份文件在流传吗? |
[05:00] | About a piece of paper that’s been going around? | 有人知道有份文件在流传吗? |
[05:01] | What piece of paper? | 什么文件? 我不知道 |
[05:01] | I don’t know. | 什么文件? 我不知道 |
[05:02] | C.j., are you taller than usual? | 茜洁,你今天比平常高吗? |
[05:04] | No, I’m my usual height. | 没有,我跟平常一样高 |
[05:06] | Couldn’t pick a trout out of a police lineup. | 开始了 鳟鱼摆在我面前 我都认不出来 |
[05:08] | Focus. | 专心 |
[05:10] | Two federal election seats open in the same day? | 联邦选举委员会 在同一天有两个空缺 |
[05:12] | You can dream all you want josh, but it’s never going to happen. | 想作梦尽量作 但这事八字没一撇 你永远不可能称心如意 |
[05:15] | That’s what I thought, too | 我也这么想 但经你刚才那番话… |
[05:16] | But after your little pep talk just now… | 我也这么想 但经你刚才那番话… |
[05:19] | President: thank you. Thank you very much. | 谢谢,谢谢各位 |
[05:20] | It’s good to see you. Thank you. | 很高兴跟大家见面 |
[05:22] | Sam. | 山姆 糟糕 |
[05:23] | Damn it. | 山姆 糟糕 |
[05:23] | What? | 怎么了? |
[05:25] | I forgot to do something. | 我忘了做一件事 |
[05:26] | President: as I look out over this magnificent vista… | 当我看到这片美好的景致… 罗伯洛 茉拉凯利 杜希尔 艾莉森詹尼 里察薛福 约翰史宾塞 布雷迪威佛德 马丁辛 “白宫风云” |
[06:19] | Donna: how does the f.e.c. Work? | 联选会编制为何? |
[06:20] | Josh: six commissioners | 六位指派的委员 |
[06:22] | Are appointed for a six-year term. | 每人任期六年 |
[06:24] | Two seats come up every two years. | 同进同退吗? |
[06:25] | Two commissioners resigned? | 每两年有两个空缺 |
[06:27] | At the same time. | 两名委员刚辞职? 同时辞职 |
[06:28] | How many times has that happened? | 这种情况发生过几次? |
[06:29] | Including this time? | 包括这次? |
[06:30] | Yeah. once. | 一次 |
[06:31] | So the president has the opportunity | 所以总统有机会 |
[06:33] | To stack the f.e.c. with our people | 让我们的人出任联选会委员 |
[06:34] | And make an impact on campaign finance reform? | 对竞选财务改革做重大影响 |
[06:36] | Yes. | 是的 |
[06:37] | Well, do it, baby. | 那就去做,宝贝 有一些阻碍 |
[06:38] | There’s a couple of roadblocks. | 那就去做,宝贝 有一些阻碍 |
[06:39] | What? | 什么阻碍? |
[06:40] | Whenever a vacancy comes up | 什么阻碍? 每次有空缺时,两党党团… |
[06:41] | The party leadership on both sides… | 每次有空缺时,两党党团… |
[06:44] | Did you just call me “Baby” Back there? | 你刚才叫我宝贝吗? |
[06:45] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[06:47] | Okay. Uh… When a vacancy comes up | 好,有空缺时 |
[06:49] | It’s up to the president to fill it | 应由总统指派人选递补 |
[06:51] | But the party leadership on both sides always, always, always | 但两党党团每次总是 |
[06:54] | Dictates to the president who he’s going to appoint. | 指定总统指派的人选 |
[06:57] | One republican, one democrat | 一个民主党、一个共和党 |
[06:58] | Whoever the leadership says. That’s how you keep the peace in dodge. | 都由党团指定 |
[07:02] | You’re going to change all that, right? | 这是维持平衡的方法 但你要改变这个态式,对吗? 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 |
[07:03] | No, but I’m going to spend most of the week trying. | 不对 但这星期我会试着去改变 |
[07:06] | That’s not the right spirit. | 这样的心态不对 制片:李维林威尔斯 |
[07:07] | You’re trying to change the nature of democracy. | 你要改变民主政治的特性 |
[07:09] | You’re right. I’m going to need a bagel. | 没错,我需要一个焙果 编剧:艾伦索金 |
[07:11] | C.j.: the easter egg hunt | 寻找复活节彩蛋和复活节蛋卷 |
[07:12] | And the easter egg roll Are two different things. | 是两码子事 |
[07:15] | The theme of this year’s event | 今年活动的主题是 |
[07:16] | Is “Learning is delightful and delicious” | 学习是愉快又美味的事 |
[07:19] | As, by the way, am i. | 就跟我一样 |
[07:21] | The collection, which is going to be on display | 导演:萝拉因斯 |
[07:23] | In the east colonnade of the of the white house | 彩蛋展将在白宫东柱廊举行 |
[07:25] | Features real chicken eggs decorated by artists | 展出由五十州和华府特区 |
[07:28] | From each of the 50 states and the district And the activities are coordinated | 艺术家彩绘过的真鸡蛋 |
[07:31] | By the american egg board | 本活动由美国鸡蛋协会主办 |
[07:32] | And I’ve hung with some of the cats | 我跟鸡蛋协会的人相处过 |
[07:34] | From the american egg board, and they are party people. ( chuckling ) | 他们办的活动很热闹 |
[07:39] | Thank you. That’s it till this afternoon. | 谢谢,本节报告到此为止 |
[07:43] | Steve. | 史提 |
[07:44] | Yeah. | 史提 |
[07:44] | You got a second? | 有空吗? 有啊 |
[07:45] | Sure. | 有空吗? 有啊 |
[07:48] | What have you heard | 听说有份文件在流传 你对此事知道多少? |
[07:49] | About a piece of paper that’s out there? | 听说有份文件在流传 你对此事知道多少? |
[07:51] | Same thing you’ve heard. | 跟你一样多 那是多少? |
[07:52] | What’s that? | 跟你一样多 那是多少? |
[07:54] | There’s a piece of paper out there. | 有份文件在流传 |
[07:55] | That’s it? yeah. | 就这样? |
[07:56] | If you hear anything more, you’ll tell me first? If I find anything more | 若有进一步消息,请先告诉我 |
[08:00] | I’ll tell my editor first. | 若打听到进一步消息 |
[08:01] | I keep forgetting you don’t work for me. | 我会先告诉我的编辑 |
[08:03] | Yes, you do. | 我老是忘记你不是白宫人员 对,你老是这样 |
[08:04] | C.j. | 茜洁 再见 |
[08:05] | See ya. | 茜洁 再见 |
[08:06] | Mandy, there’s a buzz about a piece of paper. | ��蒂,新闻室里有个传言 |
[08:08] | Yeah. | 有关一份文件… |
[08:09] | You know anything about it? | 你知道这件事? 每个细节我都知道 |
[08:10] | I know everything about it. | 你知道这件事? 每个细节我都知道 |
[08:12] | What do you mean? | 这什么意思? |
[08:13] | I wrote it. | 那文件是我写的 |
[08:17] | What is it we’re…? | 文件内容是什么? |
[08:18] | I wrote a memo | 文件内容是什么? |
[08:20] | When I was working for russell, outlining strategies… | 我为罗素工作时 |
[08:24] | Katie, they’re in the, uh, blue room. | 写了一份备忘录,列出… |
[08:26] | Thanks. | 对不起,茜洁 |
[08:32] | When I was working for russell, I wrote a memo | 凯蒂,他们在蓝厅 |
[08:35] | Outlining the weaknesses and vulnerabilities | 我为罗素工作时写了份备忘录 |
[08:38] | Of the bartlet administration | 列出巴特勒政府的缺点和弱点 |
[08:39] | And mapping out a strategy to defeat him | 并设计出打败他 |
[08:41] | For renomination. | 让他不能再被提名的战略 |
[08:45] | C.j., this is embarrassing and a little mortifying | 我觉得很尴尬,很羞愧 |
[08:50] | But you got to remember how pissed off I was at you guys. | 但你别忘了当时我有多气你们 |
[08:52] | You worked for us | |
[08:53] | For a year and a half and you’re | 你曾跟我们共事一年半 |
[08:54] | Working for us again now and in between you wrote | 你现在又是白宫的幕僚 |
[08:57] | A playbook on how to beat us? | 这期间你写了一份 如何打败我们的文件? |
[08:58] | I was working for russell | 我当时受雇于罗素 |
[08:59] | And the whole idea… | 那份文件… |
[09:00] | I need to see a copy of it right now. | 我现在要看那份文件 |
[09:04] | C.j…. | 茜洁 |
[09:16] | Margaret! | 玛格 什么事? |
[09:19] | Yes. | 我电子邮件发不出去 |
[09:20] | I can’t e-mail. | 我电子邮件发不出去 |
[09:21] | They’re working on the problem. | 他们正在修理 |
[09:22] | What’s the problem? | 出了什么毛病? |
[09:23] | Lynette from the president’s council | 记得我那当总统健身顾问 |
[09:25] | On physical fitness. remember her? no. | 的朋友琳娜吗? |
[09:27] | She’s the one where you say | 不记得 她就是你问过她是谁? |
[09:29] | “Who’s that?” And I say, “My friend lynette | 我说她是我的朋友 |
[09:31] | From the president’s council on physical fitness.” | 总统的健身顾问 |
[09:33] | Hey. hey, josh. | 乔西 |
[09:34] | Anyway, she sent me an e-mail | 总之她发电子邮件告诉我 |
[09:36] | About the actual calorie count | |
[09:37] | In the raisin muffin | 餐厅里供应的 |
[09:38] | They’re serving in the mess. | 葡萄干松糕的正确热量 |
[09:40] | I forwarded the e-mail To several hundred secretaries | 我把这封电子邮件 |
[09:43] | And assistants at o.e.o.b. And in the west wing, and that was fine | 转给各单位的几百名秘书 |
[09:45] | But jolene millman | 本来好好的 但国会联络室的裘琳米曼 按了回覆键,结果… |
[09:46] | Who works in political liaison | 但国会联络室的裘琳米曼 |
[09:48] | Then hit “Reply,” which apparently… | 按了回覆键,结果… |
[09:49] | Oh, margaret, margaret | 玛格…对不起 |
[09:51] | I’m sorry, I’m going to have… I hung in there as long as I could | 我已经尽可能耐心听了 |
[09:54] | But you long since passed the point | 但你说的早超过了 |
[09:57] | When I stopped caring. | 我有兴趣知道的程度 |
[09:59] | If you’re curious, it was around “Raisin muffin.” | 若你想知道的话 |
[10:03] | I’ll leave you two alone. | 大概是葡萄干松糕那一部份 |
[10:05] | And fix the e-mail. | 我不打扰两位了 把电子邮件修好 |
[10:06] | Yes. | 好 |
[10:07] | So who did you come up with? | 你找到了谁? |
[10:10] | John bacon and patricia calhoun. | 约翰贝肯和派翠西卡洪 |
[10:11] | I know john bacon. who’s the other? | 约翰贝肯我认识 另一个是谁? |
[10:13] | Director of the roe institute for economic policy studies | 派蒂卡洪是传承基金会 |
[10:17] | At the heritage foundation. | 经济政策研究所的主任 |
[10:18] | She worked in the white house o.m.b. | 在两任共和党总统手下的 |
[10:20] | Under two republican presidents. | 白宫管理预算局工作过 |
[10:21] | And she favors campaign finance overhaul? | 她赞成改革竞选财务? |
[10:23] | Aggressive overhaul. | 全面改革 |
[10:25] | Then the leadership will hate them both. | 两党领袖肯定不喜欢他们 |
[10:27] | What do you want me to do? | 你要我怎么做? |
[10:30] | Meet with the top guys in the leadership offices. | 到党团办公室找高层会面 |
[10:33] | You want me to meet with the leaders? | 你要我去跟两党领袖见面? |
[10:35] | Absolutely not. I want you to meet their guys | 不是 |
[10:37] | And I want you to do it outside the building over a meal. | 我要你去跟他们的人见面 而且要在外面谈,边吃饭边谈 |
[10:39] | Leo, the president can’t think | 里奥,总统不会认为 |
[10:41] | We’re going to get anywhere with this, can he? Hmm? | 这会有什么结果吧 |
[10:44] | The president doesn’t think we’re going to get | 总统不认为 |
[10:46] | Anywhere with this, right? | 我们会有什么结果吧 |
[10:48] | No. | 不会 |
[10:50] | Okay. | 好 |
[10:52] | What happened with e-mail? | 电子邮件怎么了? |
[10:54] | Oh, I don’t know. It has something to do | 我不知道,好像跟总统 |
[10:56] | With the president’s council on physical fitness. | 的健身顾问有关 |
[10:58] | Okay. | 好 |
[11:03] | Hey. | |
[11:04] | Who’d you come up with? | 你找到了谁? |
[11:05] | John bacon and patty calhoun. | 约翰贝肯和派蒂卡洪 |
[11:06] | Not in a million years. | 绝对过不了关的 |
[11:08] | Tell me something else I should know. | 说点我该知道的事 |
[11:09] | What are you doing? | 你们要做什么? |
[11:10] | It’s our turn with the boys. | 轮到我们跟军方会谈 摆平他们 |
[11:12] | Hey, listen. | 听我说 |
[11:13] | Yeah. | 听我说 进去后,你要我来说话吗 为什么? |
[11:14] | You want me to do the talking | 进去后,你要我来说话吗 |
[11:15] | When we get in there? | 为什么? |
[11:16] | No. Why? | 只是问问看 |
[11:17] | I’m just asking. | 只是问问看 早安,早安 |
[11:17] | Good morning. | 早安,早安 |
[11:20] | We all know each other. | 大家都认识了,坐下来谈 |
[11:21] | Why don’t we sit down | |
[11:25] | We’ve been conducting meetings with various senior staff | 我们跟国防部、国安局 |
[11:28] | From the d.o.d., n.s.c., and house and senate armed services. | 参众两院军事委员会 多位资深官员谈过好几次 |
[11:33] | We feel a little hamstrung. | 关于军方对同性恋的传统看法 |
[11:36] | Because of the policy inherited Regarding gays and lesbians in the military | 我们觉得有点使不上力 |
[11:42] | And we’d like as much | 我们希望能得到更多的讯息 |
[11:43] | Informed input as possible Before making recommendations to the president. | 再向总统提出建议 |
[11:48] | Toby, can I interrupt you for a moment? | 托比,我可以说几句话吗? |
[11:50] | Sure. | 当然可以 |
[11:51] | What do you imagine would be the consequence | 你向总统提出建议后 |
[11:52] | Of your recommendation? | 会有什么后果? |
[11:54] | Well, actually it’ll be sam’s | 事实上是山姆要向总统提建议 |
[11:57] | Recommendation to the president. | |
[11:59] | This is on his desk and I’m just helping out. | 这件事由他主办 我只是从旁协助 |
[12:02] | Sam, what do you imagine will be the consequence? | 山姆,你想会有什么后果? |
[12:04] | Major, bearing in mind that the president seldom, if ever | 少校,我记得总统很少 |
[12:07] | Listens to my recommendations | 甚至从未听从过我的建议 |
[12:08] | I would imagine the consequences to be little. | 我想影响有限 |
[12:11] | I would imagine it to be very little, sam. | 我认为是非常有限 |
[12:13] | Congressman, if the commander-in-chief | 议员先生,若参谋总长下令 |
[12:14] | Orders that gays can serve openly in the military | 同性恋者能公开入伍服役 |
[12:16] | That’s the way it’s going to be, and anybody who chooses | 以后这就是规定 |
[12:19] | To disobey that order can stand court-martial Under the uniform code of military justice. | 不服从者,将接受军法审判 |
[12:22] | The president can order the joint chiefs | 总统可以下令给参谋总长 |
[12:24] | And the chiefs can give all the orders they want. | 总长也可以随意下令 |
[12:26] | It takes an act of congress to amend the uniform code | 但军法需要国会通过才能修改 |
[12:29] | And the uniform code makes sodomy a crime. | 军法规定鸡奸为犯罪行为 |
[12:31] | That’s the end of the story. | 所以故事到此结束 |
[12:37] | I guess it’s going to be a pretty short meeting. | 这次的会谈好短 |
[12:40] | Yeah. | 对 |
[12:41] | Donna: c.j. | 茜洁 什么事? |
[12:43] | Yeah. there will be 25,000 wooden eggs | 这次会有两万五千个木蛋 |
[12:45] | In addition to the 7,500 other eggs. | 加上七千五百个其他蛋 |
[12:48] | And what are the other eggs made of? | 其他蛋是什么材质? |
[12:50] | Uh… The other eggs are… | 其他蛋是… 是真的蛋 |
[12:51] | Actually eggs. | ��蒂在你办公室里 |
[12:52] | Yeah. mandy’s in your office. | ��蒂在你办公室里 |
[12:53] | What is josh doing? | 乔西在做什么? |
[12:54] | The f.e.c. commissioners. | 忙联选会的事 |
[12:55] | Would you tell him | 告诉他若他有空,我想见他 |
[12:56] | When he has a free moment I’d like to see him? | 告诉他若他有空,我想见他 |
[12:57] | Yeah. | 卡洛,两万五千个木蛋… 加上七千五百个… |
[12:58] | Carol, 25,000 wooden eggs. | 卡洛,两万五千个木蛋… |
[13:00] | In addition to the 7,500 that are…? | 加上七千五百个… |
[13:02] | They’re just regular eggs. | 普通蛋 |
[13:04] | Right. | |
[13:16] | Is that it? | 就是这份吗? |
[13:18] | Yeah. | |
[13:25] | Who has it? | 谁手上有这份文件? |
[13:27] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[13:29] | But somebody does. | 一定在某个人手上 |
[13:31] | Yeah. | 对 |
[13:36] | Okay. I’m going to read it now. | 好,我现在要拜读一下 |
[13:40] | Should i…? | 我是否… 回你办公室,别回答任何问题 |
[13:41] | Go back to your office | 我是否… |
[13:42] | And don’t answer any questions. | 回你办公室,别回答任何问题 |
[13:49] | You’ll… | 看好之后,通知我一声 |
[13:50] | Call me when you’re done reading? I’d count on it. | 一定会的 |
[14:16] | Josh: soft money contributions | 各界捐款使一九七四年的 |
[14:18] | Render the 1974 campaign reform act toothless. | 竞选改革法案起不了作用 |
[14:21] | Soft money contributions which were ostensibly designed | 捐款表面上是为了政党建设 |
[14:24] | For party-building, whatever that might mean | 不论这是什么意思 |
[14:26] | Do nothing but eviscerate | 其实掏空了有意义的竞选规则 |
[14:28] | Any meaningful election controls. We are, by definition, corrupt. | 换句话说,我们收贿 |
[14:31] | Now, I wouldn’t say that. | 我不同意 |
[14:32] | I know you wouldn’t, steve | 我知道你不会同意,史提 |
[14:33] | But this money isn’t coming in | 但这些钱不是小额钞票 |
[14:35] | In fives and tens and 20s. | |
[14:36] | It’s coming in in denominations | 而是十万、二十万 |
[14:38] | Of $100,000, $200,000, $500,000. | 五十万的面额 |
[14:41] | It’s coming from special interests– Special interests whose interests aren’t the same | 这些捐钱的人都别有目的 |
[14:45] | As those who don’t have A half a million bucks lying around | 他们的五十万不是白捐的 |
[14:47] | And it’s not going to party-building. | 不是为了政党建设 |
[14:49] | It’s going to issue ads. | 是为了作广告 |
[14:50] | It’s going to candidates. | 是用在候选人身上 |
[14:51] | Yeah, it’s called, free speech, josh. | 这叫做言论自由,乔西 |
[14:53] | If the insurance industry wants to buy ad time | 若保险业想在64个主要市场 |
[14:55] | In 64 major markets, they are free to do so. | 买广告时段,当然可以 |
[14:57] | If the airplane manufacturing industry wants to back a candidate | 若飞机制造商想支持某位 |
[15:00] | They are free to shout from the rooftops. | 候选人,尽可以登高一呼 |
[15:02] | If big tobacco wants to wave a sign | 若某大烟商想挂广告牌或 |
[15:04] | Or put a bumper sticker on their car | 在车上帖帖纸,请便 |
[15:06] | They are free to do so. | 那是言论自由,捐钱不是言论 |
[15:07] | that’s free speech. | 那是言论自由,捐钱不是言论 |
[15:08] | Money isn’t speech. | |
[15:09] | I like it when josh comes up here Every once in a while | 我喜欢 |
[15:12] | And teaches us a lesson we so richly deserve. ( chuckling ) | 乔西偶尔来给我们上一课 |
[15:15] | I came here as a courtesy, jerry. | 我们实在需要好好受教一番 |
[15:16] | I came at the request of leo mcgarry. | 我来纯粹是出于礼貌 是应里奥马加瑞的要求而来 |
[15:19] | The president is strongly considering… | 总统正在考虑… |
[15:21] | John branford bacon and patty calhoun | 以约翰贝肯和派蒂卡洪 |
[15:24] | To fill the two seats. | 来递补那两个空缺 |
[15:26] | I’m pretty sure we’ve already got | 我们已经有了中意的人选 |
[15:28] | Our two guys, don’t we? | 对吧 |
[15:29] | Yes. | 是的 |
[15:30] | It’s grant kalen. | 是的 |
[15:31] | Grant kalen and joe barkley. | 是格兰卡伦和乔巴克里 |
[15:33] | Two people who oppose any campaign finance reform. | 这两人反对 对竞选财务做任何改革 |
[15:37] | Graham: well… I thought you liked kalen, josh. | 我以为你喜欢卡伦,乔西 |
[15:39] | He’s gotten a lot of democrats elected out of indiana. | 他提拔很多 印地安那州民主党员当选 |
[15:42] | He’s raised a lot of money in indiana | 他在印州募到很多钱 |
[15:43] | And joe barkley says that people should be allowed to spend | 乔巴克里说民众要花多少钱 |
[15:46] | Whatever they want on politics. | 在政治上都可以 |
[15:48] | So does the supreme court. | 没错,最高法院也这么说 |
[15:50] | Uh, josh, look We can’t have this meeting | 我们不能每次总统心血来潮 |
[15:52] | Every time the president wakes up in the morning And decides to make the world better. | 就开一次这样的会 |
[15:55] | The party leadership’s going to choose a republican. | 两党党团会选出 |
[15:58] | The party leadership’s going to choose a democrat. | 共和党、民主党各一名委员 |
[16:00] | That’s the way it’s always been. | 以往向来如此,以后也会如此 |
[16:01] | That’s the way it’s going to be. That’s the way it is. | 这就是我们运作的方式 |
[16:05] | Really? | 真的? |
[16:06] | Yes. | 是的 |
[16:07] | Josh: the president appoints | 联选会委员应由总统指任 |
[16:09] | The federal election commission. | |
[16:10] | And the senate confirms them. | 须经参议院确认 |
[16:11] | I’m speaking for the majority leader. | 我是代表多数党领袖说话 |
[16:13] | Embarrass us like this | 你给我们难堪 |
[16:16] | And we will give the same back to you tenfold. | 我们会十倍奉还 |
[16:18] | Every piece of legislation | 白宫想轻骑过关的每条法案 我们都会刁难 |
[16:19] | The white house wants | 白宫想轻骑过关的每条法案 |
[16:20] | Off the table will make a sudden appearance. | 我们都会刁难 |
[16:22] | Steve’s talking our greatest hits, josh– | 史提说的是我们的主力攻击 |
[16:24] | 5-4-1 | 五四一法案,学校祷告 |
[16:25] | School prayer, family support act | 家庭支援、娱乐净化… |
[16:27] | The entertainment decency act… English as the national language. | 英语为国语 |
[16:30] | English as the national language is first up. | 英语为国语法案会首先登场 |
[16:32] | That’ll be our leadoff hitter. | 这将是我们第一个主攻目标 |
[16:33] | Wouldn’t it be easier | 否决我们提名的人选 |
[16:35] | To just not confirm our nominees? | 不是比较省事吗? |
[16:36] | Oh, we’re going to do that, too. | 我们也会那么做 |
[16:39] | You’re saying that in addition to voting down our nominee | 你是说除了否决 我们提名的人选 |
[16:42] | There’s going to be political retribution | 还会有其他政治行动 |
[16:43] | For having nominated them in the first place? | 来报复我们的提名? |
[16:45] | Yes. | 是的,你知道为什么吗? |
[16:46] | You know why? Because you know if you do this, you’re going to lose | 因为若你们这么做 |
[16:50] | And we’re going to look bad winning. | 你们会输 而我们赢得也不光采 |
[16:52] | I also reject the suggestion that the best way | 我还要说我反对 |
[16:55] | To maintain free speech is having government regulate it. | “保持言论自由最好的方式 是由政府来规范”这个建议 |
[16:57] | You reject whatever you want. | 你要反对什么,随便你 你说什么? |
[16:58] | I-i didn’t hear that. | 我说你要反对什么,随便你 |
[16:59] | I said, “Reject whatever you want.” | 我说你要反对什么,随便你 |
[17:01] | You know, four hours ago, this was a fool’s errand for me | 四小时前,我觉得这差事 白费力气,总统也知道 |
[17:04] | And the president knew it. | 这是个风向球 只是试试看会有何结果 |
[17:05] | This was a test balloon. | 这是个风向球 |
[17:06] | This was a… “Just out of curiosity Let’s see what would happen if” meeting | 只是试试看会有何结果 |
[17:09] | But you’ve managed to get me on board. | 但现在你们让我骑虎难下 |
[17:12] | Steve, we got a caucus. | 史提,我们要开党团会议 |
[17:14] | We got to go. | 我们得走了 |
[17:28] | Mrs. Landingham… | 蓝丁汉太太 我要去吃午餐了,查理 |
[17:29] | I’m going to lunch, charlie. | 说到午餐… 怎么样? |
[17:30] | Speaking of lunch… yes? | 说到午餐… 怎么样? |
[17:31] | The president’s not too wild about his. | 总统不太满意他的午餐 |
[17:33] | What’s the nature of his dissatisfaction? | 不满意的原因为何? |
[17:34] | He says it’s made almost entirely of vegetables. | 他说全都是蔬菜 |
[17:36] | Yes, it’s a salad, charlie. | 是的,那是一份沙拉 |
[17:38] | The president would prefer a sandwich. | 总统想要三明治 |
[17:39] | He says roast beef will be fine, pastrami, sliced steak… | 切片的五香�`烤牛肉三明治 |
[17:42] | Charlie, tell the president he will eat his salad | 查理,请转告总统把沙拉吃掉 |
[17:44] | And if he doesn’t like it | 若不想吃 |
[17:45] | He knows where to put his salad. | 他知道把沙拉如何处置 |
[17:47] | Well, I don’t think I will tell the president that | 我不会跟总统这么说 |
[17:48] | Mrs. Landingham, but I appreciate your help. | 但我感谢你的协助 |
[17:50] | You bet. | 那当然 |
[17:52] | Man: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, sam. | 没坏的东西何必去修 |
[17:54] | Sam: congressmen… | 议员先生… |
[17:55] | “Don’t ask, don’t tell” Works. | 不问不说的方法有效 没效 |
[17:56] | No, it doesn’t. | 有效 你想知道有多没效吗? |
[17:57] | Yes, it does. | 有效 |
[17:58] | Sam: would you like to know how much it doesn’t? | 你想知道有多没效吗? |
[18:00] | 1,145 discharged for being gay in 1998. | 一九九八年有1145名士兵 因同性恋被勒令退伍 |
[18:03] | That’s a record. | 创了记录 自从采用不问不说原则之后 增加了92% |
[18:04] | It’s a 92% increase | 自从采用不问不说原则之后 |
[18:05] | since “Don’t ask, don’t tell.” | 增加了92% |
[18:08] | 414 air force discharges– the highest of two decades– | 空军有414人退役 二十年来的最高记录 |
[18:10] | 271 of them during basic training | 其中271人是在 |
[18:12] | At lackland air force base… | 莱克蓝空军基地受训时退役 |
[18:14] | 271 during basic training. | 271人在基本训练时退训 |
[18:15] | Toby: major… | 少校,莱克蓝空军基地 到底出了什么事? |
[18:16] | What the hell is going on | 少校,莱克蓝空军基地 |
[18:17] | At lackland air force base? | 到底出了什么事? |
[18:19] | I don’t like your humor. | 我不欣赏你的幽默感 |
[18:20] | I get that a lot. | 经常有人对我这么说 |
[18:21] | Excuse me. Sorry. I need toby. | 对不起,我要找托比 |
[18:23] | Yeah. | 好,过来一下,山姆 |
[18:24] | Come here a sec. | |
[18:28] | You’re doing good. | 你表现得很好 |
[18:29] | What? | 什么事? 我知道那文件是什么了 |
[18:30] | I know what the piece of paper is. what is it? | 什么事? 我知道那文件是什么了 是什么? |
[18:32] | A recon-and-strategy memo that mandy wrote | 是��蒂为罗素工作时写的 侦查策略备忘录 |
[18:34] | When she was working for russell. | 做什么的策略? 三年内打败我们 |
[18:35] | A strategy to do what? | 做什么的策略? |
[18:36] | Beat us in three years. | 三年内打败我们 |
[18:37] | Did you read it? yeah. | 你看过了吗? |
[18:38] | Is it bad? yeah. | 很严重吗? 是 |
[18:40] | Let’s go to my office. | 到我的办公室去 |
[18:46] | How’d it go? | 情况如何? |
[18:49] | How do you know to be standing here? | 你怎么知道我回来了 |
[18:50] | I see you out the window. | 我从窗户看到你 |
[18:52] | You don’t have a window. | 你没有窗户 你有窗户 |
[18:52] | You have a window. | 你没有窗户 你有窗户 |
[18:54] | What are you doing in my office? | 我不在,你去我办公室做什么 |
[18:55] | Looking for you out the window. | 去窗户看你回来没有 |
[18:57] | Okay. | |
[18:58] | How’d it go? | 情况如何? |
[18:59] | Went fine. | 还好 |
[19:00] | Just “Fine”? | 只是还好? 对 |
[19:01] | Yeah. you don’t want to say anything more than that? | 你没有别的话要说? |
[19:03] | I don’t, donna | 没有,你知道“没有”的意思 |
[19:05] | And the way that you know that I don’t is that I’m not. | 是我不想说 |
[19:07] | But this is our special time together. | 但现在是我们共处的特别时间 |
[19:09] | I’m really not in the mood to mess around. | 我真的没心情跟你胡扯 |
[19:11] | Okay. I need you to get me prepped on something. | 我要你替我准备点东西 |
[19:13] | What? | 什么东西? 英语为国语法案 |
[19:14] | English as the national language. | 英语为国语法案 |
[19:15] | Why? | 为什么? 它可能会提出来 |
[19:16] | Might come up. | 为什么? |
[19:17] | Why? | 为什么? 因为…不为什么… 因为我们提名联选会人选 |
[19:17] | Because… Doesn’t matter. | 因为…不为什么… |
[19:20] | Because if we do a thing with the f.e.c. | 因为我们提名联选会人选 |
[19:22] | Opponents will put english as the national language on the table. | 他们就会搬出 英语为国语法案 |
[19:25] | Are we for it or against it? | 我们是赞成还是反对? 唐娜… |
[19:27] | Donna… I mean, we’re not in favor | 我是说我们不会赞成 |
[19:28] | Of making another language the official language, are we? | 以别的语言当国语吧 |
[19:31] | Donna… like dutch or something. | 唐娜… 荷兰语或什么的 |
[19:32] | Donna, didn’t I just tell you That I can’t mess around? | 我有没跟你说我没心情胡扯? |
[19:35] | Yes. Okay. | 有 |
[19:37] | Bullet points? | 现在就要? |
[19:38] | Yeah. | |
[19:39] | Give me 30 minutes? | 给我三十分钟 谢谢 |
[19:40] | Thank you. | 托比说要你回来立刻去找他 |
[19:41] | Oh, and toby said to come by | 托比说要你回来立刻去找他 |
[19:42] | As soon as you got back. | |
[19:43] | Josh: toby? | 托比? |
[19:45] | Yeah. ( knocking ) | 对 |
[19:53] | Toby… | 托比… 我现在不接任何电话,金婕 |
[19:54] | I’m not taking any calls right now, ginger. | 托比… 我现在不接任何电话,金婕 |
[19:56] | It’s… | 是… 我再打回去给他 |
[19:57] | I’ll call him back. | 是… |
[19:59] | ( door closes ) | 我再打回去给他 |
[20:01] | “The reality of the bartlet white house | 巴特勒执政的白宫 |
[20:04] | “Is a flood of mistakes | 其实是一连串的错误 |
[20:05] | “An agenda hopelessly stalled | 政务无可救药的拖延 |
[20:07] | “And lacking a coherent strategy… | 缺乏一贯的策略 |
[20:09] | An administration plagued by indecision.” | 一个摇摆不定的执政当局 |
[20:11] | ( knocking at door ) | 金婕… 出了什么事? |
[20:12] | Ginger… | 金婕… |
[20:13] | What’s going on? | 出了什么事? |
[20:17] | Mandy wrote an instruction manual for russell | ��蒂为罗素写了一份策略指示 |
[20:20] | And it’s out there somewhere. | 现在流传出去了 |
[20:21] | Josh: where? I don’t know yet. | 到哪里去了? 我还不知道 |
[20:23] | How bad is it? | 情况有多严重? |
[20:24] | Well, she takes the three of us to town. | 她对我们三人还算手下留情 |
[20:26] | We don’t look like rocket scientists | 我们看不起来不像火箭科学家 |
[20:28] | But, then again, we’re not rocket scientists. | 但我们本来就是火箭科学家 |
[20:30] | Who is it bad for? | 对谁不利? |
[20:31] | The president… Leo. The president and leo. | 总统和里奥 |
[20:34] | We don’t know who has this? | 我们不知道在谁手上? |
[20:35] | I’m talking to everybody. | 我会去问每位记者 |
[20:36] | Do it quietly. toby: and quickly. | 私下问 |
[20:38] | Whose paper is it in tomorrow? | 但要快点,明天到底会登上 哪一家报纸 |
[20:39] | We have to know right away. yep. | 我们必须立刻查清楚 |
[20:43] | Sorry. | |
[20:46] | ( clearing throat ) | |
[20:50] | Our second year doesn’t seem to be going | 我们的第二年 |
[20:52] | A whole lot better than our first, does it? | 看来不比第一年好过 |
[20:56] | No. | 不好过 |
[21:09] | Margaret, does he have a minute? | 玛格,里奥有空吗? |
[21:11] | He’s finishing up with the chairman. | 他跟主席会谈快结束了 |
[21:13] | They almost done? | 他们快谈好了? |
[21:14] | Yeah. | 对 |
[21:15] | I’ll wait. | 我等他 |
[21:23] | You having problems with your e-mail? | 你们的电子邮件有问题吗 |
[21:26] | Yeah. | 有 |
[21:27] | Technical support says the pipeline’s | 有 |
[21:29] | Been flooded. | 技术支援组说是因为线路爆满 |
[21:30] | Apparently, it happened when I forwarded an e-mail | 显然是在我发邮件给一些人 |
[21:32] | To several people and one of them tried to reply. | 其中一人想回覆时发生的 |
[21:35] | Everyone’s e-mail box is clogged with replies | 每个人的电子邮件信箱 全都塞满了回邮 |
[21:38] | Which are now automatically | 因为回邮会自动不停的 |
[21:40] | And constantly bouncing back and forth At subatomic speed. | 以次原子速度来回跳动 |
[21:46] | I passed the point where you’re interested, haven’t i? | 我说的超过你有兴趣的范围了 |
[21:50] | Yeah. | 对吧 |
[21:53] | Leo: thank you, fitz. | 谢谢你,费兹 |
[21:54] | Fitzwallace: thank you. Hey, toby. | 谢谢,你好,托比 |
[21:56] | Good afternoon, admiral. | 午安,主席先生 |
[21:57] | Toby, you here to see me? yeah. | 托比,你是来找我的吗? 是的 |
[21:58] | Fitz, the president’s going to want to know | 费兹,总统想知道 |
[21:59] | Is the philippines redundant, that’s all. | 菲律宾是否兵力太多 |
[22:01] | It is redundant, that’s the beauty of it. | 的确太多,但妙就妙在这里 |
[22:03] | You’ll have to convince the president of its beauty. | 你必须让总统知道其中的奥妙 |
[22:06] | I will. | 我会的 |
[22:06] | If you say so. | 那就好 |
[22:08] | Say, who are those guys across the hall? | 谁在对面的房间里? |
[22:10] | They’re meeting with sam on gays in the military. | 他们正在跟山姆谈 军中的同性恋问题 |
[22:12] | Why? | 为什么? 山姆想订出一贯政策 |
[22:13] | Sam’s trying to put together a coherent position. | 为什么? 山姆想订出一贯政策 |
[22:15] | When he comes up with one, let me know, will ya? | 若他们有结果,通知我一声 |
[22:17] | Yes, sir. By the way | 好的,对了,有人认为 |
[22:18] | I think there may be a major security breach With the white house computers. | 白宫的电脑可能有安全漏洞 |
[22:21] | White house computers aren’t secure. | 白宫电脑本来就不安全 |
[22:23] | Well, that explains that. | 难怪 |
[22:32] | He wants to put a1/m1s in manila. | 他想把A1到M1兵力 放在马尼拉 |
[22:34] | The president’s going to say it’s redundant. | 总统会说那样太多 |
[22:36] | Yeah. | |
[22:37] | How much does it cost? | 要花多少钱? 不多,二十亿 |
[22:38] | Not much– $20 billion. | 要花多少钱? 不多,二十亿 |
[22:41] | So, there’s going to be a thing. | 有件事要发生了 |
[22:43] | About what? | 关于什么? |
[22:44] | Mandy wrote an opposition research memo for russell | ��蒂为罗素写了一份 |
[22:47] | And somebody’s got it. | 对手研究备忘录,被某人拿去 |
[22:48] | Who? | 谁? |
[22:49] | C.j.’s finding out. | 茜洁正在查 |
[22:51] | Well, it’s politics, toby. | 政治就是这么回事 |
[22:53] | She was playing for the other guys. | 她当时在为别人工作 |
[22:55] | Yeah. | 是 |
[22:58] | There’s some observations | 有些观点总统看了不会高兴 |
[22:59] | The president’s not going to be wild about. | |
[23:03] | I move him to the middle? The sense is that his instinct is to be aggressive | 我要安抚他? |
[23:08] | And you take him To safe ground. | 他会很冲动,你要开导他 |
[23:11] | Okay. | 好 |
[23:12] | Leo… don’t worry about it. | 里奥… 别担心 |
[23:14] | Hey, look… | 听我说… |
[23:15] | Don’t worry about it. | 别担心 |
[23:17] | Want to see a copy? | 你要看吗? 不要 |
[23:18] | No. | 你要看吗? |
[23:25] | Okay. | 不要 |
[23:33] | Josh? | 乔西 |
[23:34] | Yeah. | 乔西 |
[23:35] | Six pages on english as the national language. | 六页关于 英语为国语法案的资料 |
[23:36] | Is it good? | 这些资料精采吗? |
[23:37] | I gave you some good stuff on james madison… | 杰姆斯麦迪森和极权统治案 我给了你很精采的资料 |
[23:39] | James madison? | 杰姆斯麦迪森? 和极权统治 |
[23:42] | I didn’t ask for a damn social studies paper. | 我要的不是社会研究报告 我要的是… |
[23:44] | Don’t snap at me, josh. | 别找我出气,乔西 |
[23:45] | Donna… | 唐娜… |
[23:47] | Look at the memo– I gave you what you asked for. | 看看资料,你要的我都给你了 |
[23:49] | Don’t snap at me. | 别找我出气 |
[23:53] | What’s wrong with everyone today? | 今天大家怎么了? |
[23:56] | It’s been all day. | 整天都这样 |
[23:57] | Is it mandy’s memo? | 是因为��蒂的备忘录吗? |
[23:59] | No. | 不是 |
[24:00] | ( exasperated sigh ) | |
[24:01] | Why is everyone walking around | 为什么每个人都摆出一副 |
[24:03] | Like they know they’ve already lost? | 丧家之犬的样子? |
[24:07] | I wasn’t snapping at you. | 我不是找你出气,我只是… |
[24:08] | I just… I-i, I didn’t realize That you also gave me the stuff I asked for. | 不知道你给了我要的东西 |
[24:13] | I thought it was just… | 我以为你只给我杰姆斯麦迪森 |
[24:15] | I thought you just gave me james madison. | |
[24:19] | Well, look at the james madison. | 看看杰姆斯麦迪森的资料 |
[24:20] | It’s going to help you. | 对你有帮助 |
[24:23] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[24:28] | Hi. | |
[24:28] | Hi. | |
[24:29] | How’s james madison | 杰姆斯麦迪森的资料 |
[24:30] | Going to help you? | 对你有何帮助? |
[24:31] | I really don’t know. | 我真的不知道 |
[24:33] | I meant that… the president wants to put | 我是说… |
[24:34] | Two reformers on the f.e.c. | 总统想指派两名改革者 到联选会任职 |
[24:36] | Onorato says they’ll retaliate | 欧诺拉脱说他们会以 |
[24:38] | By opening up english as the national language. | 英语为国语法案来报复 |
[24:40] | The president’s not going to look good | 和这种法案作对 总统的颜面不好看 |
[24:41] | Fighting against that one. | 和这种法案作对 总统的颜面不好看 |
[24:43] | I’ve worked here 14 months, tell me what else I should know. | 我在这里工作十四个月了 |
[24:47] | That the president is not going to look good | 这种事我会不知道吗? |
[24:48] | Fighting against that one. | 你该知道反对这种事 总统的颜面不好看 |
[24:49] | Mandy… you take an opposition | ��蒂… |
[24:51] | To a flag burning amendment | 你们反对焚烧国旗修正案 |
[24:52] | School prayer, and gays in the military | 学校祈祷、军中同性恋 |
[24:54] | You pile on “No” To english as the national language | 现在再加上英语为国语 |
[24:56] | And they will paint a picture… | 他们会把你们描绘成… |
[24:58] | I understand, mandy. | 我了解,��蒂 |
[25:01] | Fine. | 很好 |
[25:04] | I’m just saying it’s my job to tell you that. | 我要跟你说清楚 因为这是我的工作 |
[25:06] | Today isn’t really the best day for you to tell me | 今天不是你告诉我 |
[25:08] | What your job is. | 你的工作为何的好日子 |
[25:10] | I wrote an op memo, josh. | 我只是写了一份备忘录 |
[25:12] | You and I have written 20 of them. | 你跟我合写过二十份 |
[25:13] | You never heard of a burn bag? | 你为何不把它烧毁? |
[25:15] | They got it off my hard disk. | 他们是从我的硬碟里弄到的 |
[25:16] | Do you know who has it? | 你知道在谁手上吗? 不知道 |
[25:17] | No. | 你知道在谁手上吗? 不知道 |
[25:19] | Then there’s not much you can do for us today. | 那今天你对我们一点用都没有 |
[25:23] | You shouldn’t let the president get into a debate | 你不该让总统卷入 |
[25:25] | On english as the national… | 英语当国语的口舌之争中 |
[25:26] | Mandy, it’s not going to happen. | ��蒂,别担心 |
[25:27] | Don’t worry about it. It’s not going to happen. | 这种事不会发生的 |
[25:30] | The president’s not going to nominate who he wants | 总统不会如愿提名 |
[25:31] | To the f.e.c. | 他想要的联选会人选 |
[25:32] | Why not? | 为什么? |
[25:38] | ’cause that’s not what we do. | 因为那不是我们的作法 |
[25:44] | All right. | 好吧,我不打扰你了 |
[25:46] | I’ll leave you alone. Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[25:58] | It’s everyone that’s feeling this way today? | 今天每个人都怪怪的? |
[26:00] | Yeah. | 对 |
[26:01] | Oh, okay. | 好,谢谢 |
[26:03] | Thanks. | |
[26:06] | Man: hang on. | 慢着… 我是说… |
[26:07] | I’m saying… a lot of those cases… | 慢着… 我是说… 慢着,其中很多案例… 这份报告… |
[26:09] | This report, by the way… | 我们知道报告写些什么 不,我是说… |
[26:11] | We can read, we know the report. | 我们知道报告写些什么 |
[26:14] | A lot of those cases you’re talking about | 不,我是说… |
[26:15] | Of the gays being discharged | 我们识字 我们知道报告的内容 |
[26:16] | Came from voluntary statements. | 我们知道那份报告 你说的那些同性恋退训案例 |
[26:18] | And a lot of these are not voluntary statements | 有很多是自愿的 也有很多不是自愿的 |
[26:21] | Not by any definition given by any civilian court | 以任何民间法庭的定义 |
[26:23] | In this country. It is not a voluntary statement | 都不是自愿的 |
[26:25] | When it’s given to a psychotherapist | 以前海军陆战队下士 |
[26:27] | As in the case of former marine corporal david blessing. | 大卫布莱欣的案子来说 |
[26:30] | It is not a voluntary statement | 经心理医师评断也非自愿退伍 |
[26:31] | When it’s made in a personal diary | |
[26:33] | As in the case of former west point cadet nicole garrison. | 以前西点军校学生 妮可盖瑞森的案子来说 |
[26:36] | It is not when it’s made after being asked | 凭其日记判断也非自愿退训 |
[26:38] | As in the case of master chief petty officer diane kelli. | 以一级军士长黛安凯利 的案子来说 |
[26:41] | And it is not when it is coerced out of as service member | 被问及后承认也非自愿退役 |
[26:44] | Through fear, through intimidation | 其他以威胁恐吓等方式 |
[26:45] | Through death threats, and threats of criminal prosecution | 屈打成招的案例 |
[26:49] | As in the case of former air force major bob kiddis | 前空军少校鲍伯凯迪斯 |
[26:51] | Former marine gunnery sergeant kevin keys | 陆战队炮兵中士凯文基斯 |
[26:53] | And four sailors aboard the u.s.s. essex. | 还有艾塞斯号上的四名水兵 这些都不是自愿退役 |
[26:56] | You take care of your guys, we’ll take care of ours. | 山姆,你们照顾好你们的人 我们照顾我们的人 |
[26:58] | You’re not taking care of them. | 你们没照顾你们的人,少校 |
[26:59] | Your guys are out looking for jobs. | 你们的人还得去找工作 |
[27:01] | Those weren’t our guys. | 那些不是我们的人 |
[27:02] | Oh, my god… | 我的天… 立正 |
[27:03] | Attention. | 立正 |
[27:04] | Fitzwallace: good afternoon, sam. | 午安,山姆 主席先生 |
[27:05] | Mr. Chairman. congressman. | 主席先生 议员先生 |
[27:08] | How do you do, admiral? | 幸会,上将 |
[27:09] | Good to see you again, ken. | 很高兴见到你 |
[27:10] | We haven’t met. | 我们没见过面 |
[27:11] | Mike satchel. | 我们没见过面 我是麦克萨丘 来自奥勒岗? |
[27:13] | From oregon. yes, sir. | 是的,先生 |
[27:14] | Percy fitzwallace. | 是的,先生 |
[27:15] | It’s an honor to meet you, admiral. | 我是柏希费兹华 很荣幸见到你,将军 |
[27:16] | I imagine it would it be, yes. | 我想一定是的 |
[27:18] | Major tate, major thompson | 汤普森少校,泰德少校 |
[27:19] | This is chairman fitzwallace. | 这位是费兹华勒斯将军 |
[27:21] | They’re not going to speak | 我没跟他们说话 |
[27:22] | Until I speak to them, sam. | 他们不会说话的 |
[27:24] | They’re pretty well trained. | 他们受过精良的训练 |
[27:26] | Stand easy, fellas. | 稍息,两位 |
[27:27] | Is this danish for anybody? | 这块丹麦奶酥可以吃吗? |
[27:30] | Oh, yes, sir. thank you. | 可以,将军 |
[27:31] | We’re discussing gays in the military, huh? | 你们在谈军中同性恋? |
[27:34] | Yes, sir. | 是的,将军 |
[27:35] | Hmm. what do you think? | 你们有何看法? |
[27:39] | I said, what do you think? | 我问你们有何看法 |
[27:40] | Sir, we’re here to help… | 将军,我们是来协助白宫 建立政策… |
[27:41] | I know. I’m asking you what you think. | 我知道,我是问你们有何看法 |
[27:44] | Sir, we’re not prejudiced toward homosexuals. | 我们对同性恋没有偏见 |
[27:46] | You just don’t want to see them serving in the armed forces. | 你只是不想 要他们在军中服役 |
[27:48] | No, sir, I don’t. | 是的,将军,我不想 |
[27:49] | ’cause they pose a threat to unit discipline and cohesion? | 因为他们对团队纪律 和向心力造成威胁 |
[27:52] | Yes, sir. | 是的,将军 |
[27:53] | That’s what I think, too. I also think the military | 我也这么想,我还觉得 |
[27:56] | Wasn’t designed to be an instrument Of social change. yes, sir. | 军队不是改造社会的工具 |
[27:59] | The problem with that is | 是的,将军 |
[28:01] | That’s what they were saying about me 50 years ago– | 问题在于五十年前 我也遭遇同样的困难 |
[28:03] | Blacks shouldn’t serve with whites. | 黑人不应和白人一同服役 |
[28:05] | It would disrupt the unit. | 他们会扰乱军纪 |
[28:06] | You know what? it did disrupt the unit. | 你知道吗? 这种情况确实扰乱了军方 |
[28:08] | The unit got over it. | 军方接受了,军方改变了 |
[28:10] | The unit changed. | |
[28:12] | I’m an admiral in the u.s. Navy | 现在我是美国海军上将 |
[28:14] | And chairman of the joint chiefs of staff. | 参谋首长联席会议主席 |
[28:16] | Beat that with a stick. | 没想到吧?再见 |
[28:19] | We’ll see you, ken. | |
[28:23] | Excuse me. | 失陪一下 |
[28:27] | Mr. Chairman. | 主席先生 |
[28:32] | Just… thanks for stopping in. | 谢谢你来看我们 |
[28:33] | You’re not going to get anywhere. | 你不会有任何成果的 |
[28:36] | The president just wanted some exploratory meetings. | 总统想要试探性的会谈 |
[28:39] | Yeah. | 好 |
[28:46] | Danny… | 丹尼 |
[28:47] | Hey. | 丹尼 我就知道你会在这里 我想问… |
[28:48] | I was hoping to find you here. | 我就知道你会在这里 我想问… |
[28:50] | I wanted to ask you… hang on. | 等一下 |
[28:54] | I wanted to ask… | |
[28:55] | Hang on. | 我想问… 等一下 |
[29:07] | Danny, is it the magna carta…? | 丹尼,你那是什么重要… |
[29:08] | I’m trying to finish a thought here. | 我有个想法要写完 |
[29:09] | Go ahead. | 请便 |
[29:14] | I’m finished. | 我写完了 |
[29:15] | Okay. | |
[29:16] | You’ve heard there’s a piece of paper out there, right? | 你听说有份文件在流传吧 |
[29:19] | Yeah. you know what it is? | 你知道是什么吗? |
[29:20] | It’s a strategy memo for russell? | 是罗素的策略备忘录 |
[29:22] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[29:24] | You got to know… | 你知道…我不喜欢利用 |
[29:26] | I don’t like exploiting our friendship in any way | 我们的友谊 |
[29:29] | And I certainly don’t like taking advantage | 我当然也不想占 |
[29:30] | Of any feelings beyond friendship You might have for me… | 你对我有好感的便宜 |
[29:34] | Right, you have them for me, too. | 对,你对我也有好感 |
[29:35] | I don’t. | 我没有 |
[29:36] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[29:37] | I need to be ready for this. | 我必须做好准备 |
[29:43] | Do you know who has it? | 你知道在谁手上? |
[29:44] | Yes. | 知道 |
[29:46] | Who has it? | 在谁手上? |
[29:51] | I do. | 我 |
[29:53] | you have it? | 在你在手上? 对 |
[29:54] | Yeah. | 在你在手上? 对 |
[29:56] | And you’re going to write about it? | 你要把这事报导出来 |
[29:57] | Sure. | 当然 |
[29:57] | Why? | 为什么? 听我说… |
[29:58] | Look… why? | 为什么? 听我说… 为什么? |
[30:00] | ’cause it’s news, c.j… it’s not news… | 因为这是新闻 这不是新闻 是 |
[30:02] | It’s not news just because it’s entertaining, danny. | 具有娱乐性的东西 不见得就是新闻 |
[30:04] | It’s news ’cause the media director | 这是新闻因为总统选战获胜 |
[30:06] | Of a successful presidential campaign wrote a memo | 的媒体主任写了一份备忘录 |
[30:08] | To a leader of the president’s party | 给总统所属政党的领袖 描述他的弱点 |
[30:09] | Describing his weaknesses. | 给总统所属政党的领袖 描述他的弱点 |
[30:12] | There are other people in the president’s party– | 总统所属政党里 还有其他很多人 |
[30:14] | A lot of them buy my newspaper– | 他们都是我的读者 |
[30:15] | And they’d like to know what mandy thinks. | 我认为他们想知道��蒂的看法 |
[30:17] | That’s not out of line… | 我觉得这事并不离谱 |
[30:18] | Mandy was working for the president at the time… | ��蒂写这备忘录时 并不受雇于总统… |
[30:21] | I don’t care if she was working for baskin-robbins | 我不管当时她受雇于谁 |
[30:22] | When she wrote this memo. | |
[30:23] | She’s a key player in the democratic party | 她是民主党的重要人物 |
[30:25] | And she says the president is staggeringly vulnerable. | 而她说总统有重大弱点 |
[30:28] | And that may not be good news for you, c.j. | 这对你或许不是好消息 |
[30:30] | But it’s news. | 但这是新闻 |
[30:32] | At this morning’s briefing | 今天上午简报时,你要我们做 复活节蛋的报导,所以我要… |
[30:34] | You asked us to write about easter eggs | 今天上午简报时,你要我们做 复活节蛋的报导,所以我要… |
[30:36] | So I wouldn’t be… fine. | 好 茜洁 |
[30:38] | We’ll have a comment for you by the end of the day. | 今天下午我们会发表意见 |
[30:40] | None of this is our fault, c.j.! | 这完全不是我们的错 |
[30:42] | Mandy’s letter’s was | 什么完全不是你们的错 ��蒂的分析很正确 你心知肚明 |
[30:43] | A pretty accurate analysis and you know it. | ��蒂的分析很正确 你心知肚明 |
[30:45] | You knew why she was working for russell. | 你知道她为罗素工作 你知道其中的原因 |
[30:46] | You knew she wrote a memo. | 你知道她一定写过 那样的备忘录 |
[30:48] | Why didn’t you ask her for it when you hired her? | 你们录用她时,头一件事 为何不问她是否有这样的文件 |
[30:51] | “Mandy, tell us everything you think we’re doing wrong.” | ��蒂,请说出你觉得 我们做得不对的所有事情 |
[30:52] | ’cause you knew what she was going to say. | 你知道她会说什么 |
[30:54] | You knew she was right. You knew there was nothing you could do about it. | 你知道她是对的,你无能为力 |
[30:57] | You guys are stuck in the mud around here | 你们现在陷入泥淖,动弹不得 |
[31:00] | And none of it is the fault of the press. | 这完全不是记者的错 |
[31:04] | I know you’re frustrated. | 我知道你们很沮丧 |
[31:06] | But it ain’t nothing compared to the frustration | 但和投票给你们的选民 |
[31:07] | Of the people who voted for you | 的沮丧相比,根本微不足道 |
[31:09] | So don’t come in here and question my… | 所以别来怀疑我… |
[31:11] | “We’ll have a comment for you by the end of the day”? | 下午我们会发表意见… |
[31:14] | When I want the white house to comment on a story of mine | 当我要白宫给我某报导的意见 |
[31:16] | I’ll ask for it, c.j. | 我会主动要求 |
[31:22] | I got to do this, I have to do this work. | 我必须这么做 我必须做这篇报导 |
[31:24] | Okay. | 好 |
[31:41] | Man: I’d like to go on record as saying… | 我想记录下来… |
[31:43] | Sam: congressman… | 议员先生… |
[31:44] | I’d like to go on record. | 我想记录下来 |
[31:45] | There is no record. we’re just talking. | 这里没有记录 我们只是在谈话 |
[31:47] | I’d like to go on record saying | 我要记录下来,我不反对 |
[31:48] | That I have no objection to what somebody does In the privacy of their own home. | 他人在个人时间私下的行为 |
[31:52] | But when we’re talking about schoolrooms | 但当我们谈到 |
[31:54] | Or we’re talking about the boy scouts And when we’re talking about an army barracks… | 学校教室、童子军、军营… |
[31:58] | Ken, there’s something I’ve always wanted to ask you. | 有件事我一直想请教你 |
[32:00] | Why does being gay | 为什么同性恋者 |
[32:01] | Mean you can’t keep your hands to yourself? | 就不能洁身自爱? |
[32:03] | What kind of pride are the armed forces willing to lay claim | 军方愿意在这方面有多少约束 |
[32:06] | To restraint in that area? | |
[32:07] | You want me to get the file on sexual harassment | 你要我找出 国防部的性骚扰档案吗 |
[32:09] | In the d.o.d.? want to ask these guys about tailhook? | 你要我去问这些人详细情形吗 |
[32:11] | I’ve had enough. | 我受够了 我早就受够了 |
[32:12] | I’ve had more than enough. | 我受够了 我早就受够了 |
[32:14] | Sam, don’t ask, don’t tell, don’t pursue is the law. | 山姆,不问不说不追究 是我们的法律 |
[32:16] | It’s federal law, and it takes an act of congress | 这是联邦法规 |
[32:19] | To change it. | 要修改须经国会通过 |
[32:20] | If the president | 若总统真有意要修改 |
[32:21] | Was serious about changing it, he’d be serious. | 他会真的付诸行动 |
[32:23] | He would not send you in here with me. | 他不会派你来跟我谈 |
[32:25] | He would not send you in here With two relatively junior d.o.d. Staffers. | 不会派你跟两个低阶军官谈 |
[32:29] | He’d call his staff together | 他会召集他的幕僚,然后宣布 |
[32:31] | He’d say, “I want a resolution in the house. | 我要众议院做成决议 |
[32:34] | “I want 50 high-profile cosponsors | 我要五十名高姿态的支持者 |
[32:36] | I want a deal and I want it now.” | 我要协谈,现在就要 |
[32:38] | Has the president done that? | 总统这么做了吗? |
[32:40] | The president’s veracity on this… | 总统想对这议题多… |
[32:42] | Has the president done that, sam? | 总统这么做了吗?山姆 |
[32:46] | No. | 没有 |
[32:48] | Okay, then. | 好,那这会议除了浪费时间外 |
[32:51] | Is this meeting anything more than a waste of time? | 还有什么意义吗? |
[32:59] | No. | 没有 |
[33:02] | Okay then. | 好 |
[33:10] | I.t. Support is now accusing me of being a hacker. | 技术支援组现在指控我是骇客 |
[33:14] | They’re accusing me of spamming or smurfing. | 他们问我是否使用了 |
[33:18] | They asked me if I was running a trojan horse. I said, “No, i…” | 特洛伊木马,我说没有 |
[33:22] | I was simply informing the others | 我只是通知其他人 |
[33:24] | That the calorie count in the raisin muffin was wrong. | 葡萄干松糕的热量数字错了 |
[33:27] | And it is, toby. | 真的是错了 |
[33:27] | You don’t believe me. | 托比,若你不相信我 |
[33:29] | You should take one of those muffins | 你该拿一个到实验室去化验 |
[33:31] | And take it down to the lab. | |
[33:33] | I’ll do that. | 我会的 |
[33:34] | Will you? Get me a muffin. | 真的? |
[33:36] | Be careful not to handle it yourself. | 拿个蛋糕给我,小心别用手拿 |
[33:38] | You want to use gloves. | 要先戴上手套 |
[33:39] | Slip it to me in a plastic bag. | 把蛋糕放进塑胶袋里 |
[33:41] | I’ll send it off to the lab. | 我会把它送去实验室 |
[33:42] | You’re mocking me now, aren’t you? | 你在戏弄我,对吧 |
[33:46] | Yes. | 对 |
[33:51] | Leo: come in. | 请进 |
[33:53] | Margaret thinks the fbi’s | |
[33:55] | Going to bust in here any minute. | 玛格认为 调查局人员随时会闯进来 |
[33:59] | I’ve got my second bit of bad news for you today, leo. | 我来向你报告 今天第二个坏消息 |
[34:04] | You’ve got new numbers? | 你有新数字? |
[34:05] | Yeah. | 是 |
[34:07] | How bad is it? | 情况有多糟 CNN和美国今日报说 我们的民调认同度是42% |
[34:08] | Cnn/usa today puts our job approval at 42%. | CNN和美国今日报说 我们的民调认同度是42% |
[34:11] | We dropped five points? | 少了五个百分点 |
[34:13] | In a week? | 一周之内? |
[34:14] | Yeah. | 一周之内? |
[34:16] | His unfavorables are higher than his favorables | 总统的满意度 |
[34:17] | For the first time. | 首度低于不满意度 |
[34:19] | 54% of the country is likely to vote | 54%的民众在十一月选举时 |
[34:21] | For a republican congressional candidate in november. | 会投票给共和党国会议员 |
[34:23] | We dropped five points in the week? | 我们一星期内掉了五个百分点 |
[34:26] | Yeah. | 上星期我们什么都没做 可不是嘛 |
[34:27] | We didn’t do anything | 上星期我们什么都没做 |
[34:27] | Last week. I’ll say. | 可不是嘛 |
[34:31] | Toby, when you start thinking about jumping ship | 你想跳槽时,会先告诉我吧 |
[34:33] | You’ll let me know, right? | |
[34:35] | One victory in a year, leo. | |
[34:36] | Toby… | 一年内只做成一件事,里奥 托比… |
[34:38] | Mendoza. We got mendoza on the court. | 孟道萨 我们让孟道萨进了最高法院 |
[34:39] | This president was elected with 48% of the vote. | 我们的总统得到四成八的选票 |
[34:42] | Yes, but he was elected. | 对,但他当选了 |
[34:44] | Without a mandate. | 但未过半数 |
[34:45] | The majority of people Voted for somebody else. | 全国大部份人的票投给其他人 |
[34:47] | I don’t care, leo. | 我不管,里奥 |
[34:49] | He was elected, he was sworn in. | 他当选了,也宣誓就职了 |
[34:50] | I was standing ten feet from the chief justice. | 当时我距离首席大法官 只有十尺远 |
[34:53] | It’s not the easiest circumstance… | 我是说这样的情况不轻松… |
[34:54] | Who said it would be easy? One victory in a year isn’t so bad. | 谁说会轻松了 |
[34:57] | One victory in a year stinks | 一年内做成一件事 |
[34:58] | In the life of an administration. | 对一个政府来说很烂 |
[35:00] | But it’s not the ones we lose that bother me, leo. | 但我觉得不安的 不是我们输掉的角力 |
[35:02] | It’s the ones | 而是我们没做好的那些 |
[35:03] | We don’t suit up for. | 而是我们没做好的那些 |
[35:05] | And I’m not too crazy about | 我不喜欢你刚才 |
[35:07] | You questioning my loyalty just then. ( knocking ) | 对我的忠诚心起疑 |
[35:13] | Yeah? | |
[35:13] | Hey. | |
[35:15] | Hey, c.j. | 茜洁 |
[35:16] | The president’s reading mandy’s memo. | 总统在看��蒂的备忘录 |
[35:18] | I just gave it to him. | 我刚拿给他的 |
[35:19] | I wish you hadn’t done that. | 你不应这么做 |
[35:20] | Why? | 为什么? |
[35:21] | It’s just going to piss him off. | 他会大为光火 |
[35:23] | It’ll be in the newspapers tomorrow. | 反正明天会上报 |
[35:24] | Did you find out | 你查出在谁手上吗? 丹尼 |
[35:25] | Who has it? | 你查出在谁手上吗? |
[35:27] | Danny. | 丹尼 |
[35:28] | And he’s writing it? | 他要报导出来? |
[35:30] | Yeah. It should run right next to the new polling numbers. | 对,会登在新民调数字旁边 |
[35:33] | How’d we drop five points in a week? | 我们怎会在一周内 跌掉五个百分点 |
[35:35] | Leo: it happened. | 木已成舟,说点别的吧 |
[35:36] | Let’s move on. | |
[35:38] | What I think is | 我认为 |
[35:39] | The senate will confirm bacon and calhoun. | 参议院会认可贝肯和卡洪 |
[35:41] | They’ll have to | 一定会,因为他们的资历良好 选民也希望改革 |
[35:42] | Because their credentials are too good | 一定会,因为他们的资历良好 |
[35:43] | And the voters want campaign reform. | 选民也希望改革 |
[35:45] | As a punishment | 参院为了表示不满 将在议程中为难总统 |
[35:46] | They’ll roll out a legislative agenda | 参院为了表示不满 |
[35:48] | Designed to force the president to come down On the unpopular side of everything. | 将在议程中为难总统 |
[35:52] | They’ll bring out english as the national language. | 比如说他们会提出 英语为国语法案,我相信… |
[35:54] | We won’t let it on the table. | 我们不能让这法案上柜面 |
[35:55] | We shouldn’t be afraid… | 我认为我们不应害怕… 乔西… |
[35:56] | Josh… | 里奥,我认为 我们不应害怕讨论… |
[35:57] | We shouldn’t be afraid | 里奥,我认为 |
[35:58] | To get into it on english… | 我们不应害怕讨论… |
[35:59] | He won’t let it on the table. | 总统不会准许那法案上柜面 |
[36:01] | Then we’ll live with their candidates for the f.e.c. | 那我们就得接受 他们提名的联选会人选 |
[36:03] | As we always have. | 跟以往一样 |
[36:05] | Yes. | 是的 |
[36:07] | Leo: what about you? | 你呢? |
[36:09] | My meeting? Yeah. | 我的会谈? |
[36:10] | It was the same meeting | 跟以往我们一直在讨论的… |
[36:12] | We’ve been having for… | |
[36:14] | It was fine. | 还可以 |
[36:25] | Yeah? | 什么事? |
[36:27] | I’m sorry to interrupt. | 对不起,打扰你们 |
[36:43] | Who’s got this? | 谁有这份文件? |
[36:45] | Danny concanon. | 丹尼康卡南 |
[36:46] | Why am I just finding out about this now? | 为什么我现在才知道有这种事 |
[36:49] | We spent most of the day | 我们也是搞了一整天才知道 |
[36:50] | Learning about it ourselves. | |
[36:53] | I really did wake up energized this morning. | 我今早起床时真的是干劲十足 |
[36:56] | I know. | 我知道 |
[36:57] | I never go to bed that way. | 我上床时从没那种感觉 |
[36:59] | I know. | 我知道 |
[37:01] | Just once, in this job, I’d like to end a day | 真希望有一天 |
[37:04] | Feeling as good as I did when the day started. | 我能从早到晚都很愉快 |
[37:07] | Are you bothered by this? | 你们觉得这事很困扰吗? |
[37:09] | The memo? | 备忘录的事? |
[37:11] | Yeah. | 对 |
[37:12] | Yes. | 是的 |
[37:15] | We’ve heard it all before, leo. | 我们从前都听过,里奥 |
[37:17] | You drive me to the political safe ground. | 你带我到政治安全地带 |
[37:19] | It’s not true. | 那不是真的 |
[37:20] | I know it’s not true. | 我知道不是真的 |
[37:22] | Good. | 很好 |
[37:23] | you drive me there. | 是你带我过去 |
[37:28] | What the hell did you say? | 你说什么? |
[37:29] | And you know it, too. | 你心知肚明 |
[37:30] | Leo… | 你心知肚明 |
[37:31] | We’re stuck in neutral because that’s where | 我们困在空档中 |
[37:33] | You tell me to stay. you’re wrong. | 因为你要我停留在那里 |
[37:35] | No, I’m not, sir. | 你错了 我没错,总统 |
[37:40] | You want to do this now? | 你现在想跟我辩? |
[37:41] | Sir? | 总统 |
[37:42] | You came to my house… mr. President… | 你到我家… 总统先生… |
[37:43] | You came to my house, leo, and you said | 你到我家对我说 |
[37:46] | “Jed, let’s run for president,” and I said, “Why?” | 杰德,我们来竞选总统 |
[37:48] | And you said, “So that you can open your mouth and say what you think.” | 我说为什么,你说 你才能开口说你想说的话 |
[37:50] | Sir… | 总统… 这部份到哪里去了? |
[37:51] | Where’d that part go, leo? | 总统… 这部份到哪里去了? 你说呢,总统先生 |
[37:52] | You tell me, mr. President. | 你说呢,总统先生 |
[37:54] | I don’t see a shortage of cameras | 这里摄影机和麦克风多的是 |
[37:55] | Or microphones around here. What the hell were you waiting for? | 你还在等什么? |
[37:58] | Look… everything you do… | 你做的所有事情… 今天早上… |
[38:00] | This morning… | 你做的所有事情… 今天早上… 你做的所有事情都在说 |
[38:01] | everything you do says: | 你做的所有事情都在说 |
[38:02] | “For god sakes, leo, I don’t want to be | 天啊,里奥 |
[38:04] | A one-term president.” | 我不想当一任总统 |
[38:06] | Did I not say put our guys on the f.e.c.? | 我不是说 把我们的人放进联选会吗? |
[38:08] | No, sir, you did not. | 你没说,你说的是… 里奥… |
[38:08] | Leo… | 你没说,你说的是… 里奥… |
[38:09] | You said– no– | 你没说,你说的是 我们去掀起一点波浪 |
[38:10] | You said, “Let’s dangle our feet | 你没说,你说的是 |
[38:12] | “In the water of whatever hell it is we dangle | 我们去掀起一点波浪 |
[38:15] | Our feet in when we want to make it look like we’re trying | 去做点事 |
[38:17] | Without pissing too many people off. | 但又不会惹恼太多人 |
[38:19] | You’re writing a fascinating version of history, my friend. | 你把历史改写成趣味版,朋友 |
[38:22] | Oh, take a look at mandy’s memo, mr. President | 看看��蒂写的备忘录 |
[38:23] | And you’ll read a fascinating version of it. | 你会看到历史的趣味版 |
[38:26] | You brought me in on teachers | 你替我惹上教师 |
[38:27] | You brought me in on capital gains | 惹上资本收益 |
[38:29] | You brought me in on china | 惹上中国,惹上枪械 |
[38:31] | And you brought me in on guns. | |
[38:33] | Brought you in from where? | 怎么惹上? |
[38:34] | You’ve never been out there on guns. | 你从未对枪械采取行动 |
[38:35] | You’ve never been out there on teachers. | 从未对教师做成决定 |
[38:37] | You dangle your feet | 你只是掀起一点波浪 |
[38:38] | And I’m the hall monitor around here. | 我却成了此地的走廊监视器 |
[38:40] | It’s my job to make sure nobody runs too fast | 我必须看好 |
[38:42] | Or goes off too far. | 是否有人跑太快或走太远 |
[38:44] | I tell josh to go the hill on campaign finance. | 我要乔西到国会山�P 谈竞选经费的事 |
[38:46] | He knows nothing’s going to come of it. | 他知道不会有任何结果 |
[38:47] | That’s crap. | 胡说八道 |
[38:49] | Sam can’t real on don’t ask, don’t tell | 山姆去谈军中同性恋 也一样灰头土脸 |
[38:50] | Because you’re not going to be there | 因为你不会到场 |
[38:52] | And every guy sitting across the table from him knows that. | 会议桌对面的每个人都知道 |
[38:54] | Leo, if I ever told you to get aggressive on campaign finance | 里奥,若我要你对竞选经费 |
[38:57] | Or gays in the military | 或军中同性恋采强硬态度 |
[38:59] | You would tell me, “Don’t run too fast | 你会要我不要跑太快或走太远 |
[39:00] | Or go too far.” | |
[39:02] | If you ever told me to get aggressive about anything | 若你要我对任何事采强硬态度 |
[39:04] | I’d say I serve at the pleasure of the president. | 我会说我很乐意为总统服务 |
[39:07] | But we’ll never know, sir | 但我们永远不会知道 |
[39:09] | Because I don’t think you’re ever going to say– | 因为我认为你永远不会说… |
[39:11] | I have said it and nothing’s ever happened! | 我说过,但什么事都没发生 |
[39:13] | You want to see me orchestrate this right now? | 你现在要看我调度安排 动员这些人吗? |
[39:15] | You want to see me mobilize these people? | 这些人愿意为你赴汤蹈火 |
[39:17] | These people who would walk into fire If you told them to. | 只要你说一声 |
[39:20] | These people who showed up to lead. | 这些人服从领导,有战斗力 |
[39:23] | These people who showed up to fight. | |
[39:26] | That guy gets death threats ’cause he’s black | 这个人因是黑人 又跟你女儿约会 |
[39:27] | And he dates your daughter. | 所以收到死亡威胁信 |
[39:28] | He was warned: do not show up | 他受到警告说不准到某地方去 |
[39:30] | To this place, your life will be in danger. | 否则你的生命会有危险 |
[39:32] | He said, “To hell with that, I’m going, anyway.” | 他说管它的,我还是要去 |
[39:34] | You said, “No.” | 你说不可以 |
[39:35] | Prudent or not prudent | 不管谨慎与否 |
[39:37] | This 21-year-old, at $600 a week | 这21岁周薪六百元的青年说 |
[39:39] | Said, “I’m going where I want to because a man stands up.” | 我想去的地方我就去 因为男子汉顶天立地,不必怕 |
[39:45] | Everyone’s waiting for you. | 每个人都在等你 |
[39:47] | I don’t know how much longer. | 我不知还要等多久 |
[39:52] | I don’t want to feel like this anymore. | 我不想再有这样的感觉 |
[39:55] | You don’t have to. | 你不必 |
[39:57] | I don’t want to go to sleep like this. | 我不想这样入睡 |
[39:59] | You don’t have to. | 你不必 |
[40:01] | I want to speak. | 我要说话 |
[40:04] | Say it out loud. say it to me. | 大声说出来,对我说 |
[40:08] | This is more important than reelection. | 这比再度竞选更重要 |
[40:10] | I want to speak now. | 我现在要说话 |
[40:11] | Say it again. | 再说一次 |
[40:12] | This is more important | 这比再度竞选更重要 |
[40:13] | Than reelection. I want to speak now. | 我现在要说话 |
[40:16] | Now we’re in business. | 现在开始办大事了 出了什么事? |
[40:17] | What’s happening? | 现在开始办大事了 出了什么事? |
[40:18] | We got our asses kicked in the first quarter | 我们在第一回合吃了败仗 |
[40:20] | But it’s time to get up off the mat. | 但现在该力图振作 |
[40:22] | Yes! say it. | 是的 再说一次 |
[40:23] | This is more important than reelection. | 这比再度竞选更重要 |
[40:25] | I want to speak now. | 我现在要说话 |
[40:27] | I’m going to talk to the staff. | 我想跟幕僚说话 |
[40:28] | I’ll take them off the leash. | 我要解开他们的束缚 |
[40:29] | You have a strategy for all this? | 你有策略吗? |
[40:31] | The beginnings of one. | 我有个想法 |
[40:32] | What is it? | 什么想法? |
[40:34] | I’m going to try that for a little while. | “放手一搏” 这是我们目前的战略 |
[40:43] | Listen up– | 听好,先前的办法行不通 |
[40:45] | Our ground game isn’t working. We’re going to put the ball in the air. | 我们要改变策略 |
[40:49] | If we’re going to walk into walls | 若要撞墙,也要全速撞上去 |
[40:50] | I want us running into them | |
[40:52] | Full speed. | |
[40:53] | What are you saying? | 这是什么意思? |
[40:55] | Well, you can start by telling the hill | 你可以去跟参议院说 |
[40:56] | The president’s named his nominees to the f.e.c. | 总统已提名了联选会人选 |
[41:03] | And we’re going to lose some of these battles | 我们可能会输掉一些战役 |
[41:06] | And we might even lose the white house | 甚至可能会失去白宫 |
[41:08] | But we’re not going to be threatened by issues. | 但我们不受威胁 |
[41:10] | We’re going to put them front and center. | 我们要面对它们 |
[41:13] | We’re going to raise the level | 我们要提高全国辩论的层次 |
[41:15] | Of public debate in this country. | |
[41:18] | And let that be our legacy. | 这是我们要留传下去的精神 |
[41:22] | That sound all right to you, josh? | 你觉得这样可以吗?乔西 |
[41:26] | I serve at the pleasure | 效忠美国总统是我的荣幸 |
[41:27] | Of the president of the united states. | |
[41:30] | Yeah? | 是吗? |
[41:32] | I serve at the pleasure of the president. | 效忠总统是我的荣幸 |
[41:37] | I serve at the pleasure of president bartlet. | 效忠巴特勒总统是我的荣幸 |
[41:39] | Toby? | 托比 |
[41:42] | I serve at the pleasure of the president. | 效忠总统是我的荣幸 |
[41:49] | Good. | 很好 |
[41:54] | Then let’s get in the game. | 大家全力一拼吧 |