时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:04] | previously on the west wing. | |
[00:05] | C.j…. | 他们对我不爽? |
[00:07] | They’re pissed at me, that’s how pissed they are at you. | 他们就是这么生你的气 |
[00:09] | They want to know how the hell I didn’t know about the memo. | 他们想知道为何 我不知道有这份备忘录 |
[00:11] | These amateur mistakes make me crazy. | 这种外行错误让我抓狂 |
[00:13] | I just called amateur twice in ten seconds. | 我在十秒钟内被说两次外行 |
[00:14] | The white house chief of staff | 白宫幕僚长可以随时随地说我 |
[00:16] | Can do it to me wherever he wants. | |
[00:17] | You don’t do it in front of people. | 但你不能在他人面前说我 |
[00:18] | Josh, get leo two candidates | 乔西,替我找两个 |
[00:20] | Who back aggressive campaign finance reform. | 支持竞选经费改革的人 |
[00:22] | To fight to restore american democracy | 重振美国民主之战 |
[00:24] | Begins right here right now in this room. | 即刻由此地开始 |
[00:27] | Anytime you’re into something, you don’t keep it from me. | 你有事就得随时告诉我 第一个就打电话给我 |
[00:30] | I’m friendly with a woman. | 我跟一个女人走得很近 |
[00:31] | You can’t spend time with a call girl, sam. | 你不能跟应召女郎交朋友 |
[00:33] | You’re going to get caught. | 山姆,你会被逮到 “民意与情义” |
[00:36] | Donna: they got to start the poll, josh– it’s 7:05. | 该开始作民调了 已经七点五分了 |
[00:39] | Josh: it’s ten to 7:00. | 还有十分钟才七点 |
[00:40] | no, it’s really not. | 不对 |
[00:41] | Josh: it’s 7:05? | 七点五分了? 对 |
[00:42] | Yeah. | 这怎么可能? 我没骗你 |
[00:43] | That’s ridiculous. | 这怎么可能? 我没骗你 |
[00:44] | I’m not making it up. | 我的表是六点五十 你的表烂透了 |
[00:45] | My watch says ten to 7:00. | 我的表是六点五十 |
[00:46] | That’s ’cause your watch sucks. | 你的表烂透了 |
[00:47] | My watch is fine. | 我的表很好 |
[00:48] | Your watch says ten to 7:00. | 你的表时间不对 |
[00:50] | How do I know it isn’t ten to 7:00? | 你怎么知道现在不是六点五十 |
[00:51] | Because those large clocks in the hall run by the navy | 因为墙上挂的那些 由海军经管的大钟 |
[00:54] | Say your watch sucks in four different time zones. | 说你的表烂透了 事实上那些钟说你的表 在四个不同的时区都烂透了 |
[00:56] | Question six is asymmetrical. | 第六题题目不对称 |
[00:57] | Question six is fine. | 第六题很好 |
[00:59] | Would you say, “Things in this country are going | 你认为国内的情况是 |
[01:01] | In the right direction, or do you think they’ve gotten off on the wrong track?” | 逐渐上轨道或趋向恶化 |
[01:03] | He’s got a good point. | 他说得很有道理 我不认为 |
[01:04] | No, he doesn’t. | 他说得很有道理 我不认为 各位,已经七点五分了 |
[01:05] | Do you know it’s five after 7:00? | 各位,已经七点五分了 |
[01:07] | It should be right direction or wrong direction. | 应该说上轨道或脱离轨道 |
[01:08] | “Direction” And “Track” are different words. | 轨道和方向是两个不同的词 |
[01:10] | Thank you, funk & wagnalls. | 谢谢你,康熙大老爷 |
[01:11] | What did she call me? | 她叫我什么? |
[01:12] | They make the dictionary. | 康熙大老爷,他编了康熙辞典 |
[01:13] | I know who funk & wagnalls are. | 我知道康熙是谁 那你何必问她? |
[01:14] | Then why did you ask her? | 我知道康熙是谁 那你何必问她? |
[01:15] | Guys, it’s five after 7:00. | ‘各位已经七点五分了’ |
[01:16] | The question is asymmetrical. | ‘各位已经七点五分了’ |
[01:18] | That may be so, but the question originated two decades ago | 这题目不对称 |
[01:20] | And has proven to be a consistent predictor | 或许如此 这题目是二十年前留下来的 |
[01:22] | Of the voters’ potential behavior, so it stays the way it is. | 且经证实能预测选民的 潜在行为,所以不能更改 |
[01:25] | I have a problem with 14. | 我对十四题有疑问 |
[01:26] | What’s your problem? | 什么疑问? |
[01:27] | “When making policy decisions | 你认为巴特勒总统 |
[01:29] | “Do you think that president bartlet | 在决定政策时 |
[01:30] | Puts the needs of average people first?” | 会优先考量 一般人民的利益吗? |
[01:32] | “Average people” is a pejorative phrase. | 一般人民是轻蔑的用词 |
[01:33] | It occurs about six times in the polling model. | 在民调问卷里出现了六次 |
[01:35] | This may come as a shock to you | 你或许觉得很震惊 |
[01:37] | But 80% of the people in this country | 但本国有八成人民会用 |
[01:38] | Would use the word “Average” | “一般”来形容他们自己 |
[01:40] | To describe themselves. | 他们不认为这词有轻蔑意味 |
[01:41] | They do not find the term deprecating. | 他们不认为这词有轻蔑意味 |
[01:43] | Being considered an “Average american” | 甚至觉得被认为是一般美国人 |
[01:44] | Is something they find to be positive and comforting. | 是正面而且很安心的事 |
[01:46] | Leo: c.j.? | 茜洁 什么事? |
[01:47] | Yes. | 茜洁 什么事? |
[01:50] | “Jed bartlet cares about people like me.” | 杰德巴特勒 关心像我这样的人 |
[01:53] | Leo, we went over this. | 里奥,这我们讨论过了… |
[01:54] | We need to talk about question six. | 我们还需要谈 第六题不对称的毛病 |
[01:55] | We really don’t. | 实在不需要 |
[01:56] | Since when are you an expert on language? | 实在不需要 |
[01:58] | In polling models? | 你何时成了语言专家? 做民调问卷吗? |
[01:59] | Okay. 1993. | 一九九三年,你何时成了 穷追烂打的讨厌鬼 |
[02:00] | Since when are you a pain in the ass? | 一九九三年,你何时成了 穷追烂打的讨厌鬼 |
[02:02] | Since long before that. | 比一九九三年早得多 |
[02:03] | “Jed bartlet cares | 比一九九三年早得多 |
[02:04] | About people like me. agree or disagree?” | 杰德巴特勒关心像我这样的人 同意或不同意 |
[02:06] | Again, we went over that. | 这我们讨论过了 |
[02:07] | Can’t “People like me” | 这我们讨论过了 “像我这样的人”会不会 被误解为问问题的访问者 |
[02:08] | Be taken to mean people like the interviewer? | “像我这样的人”会不会 被误解为问问题的访问者 |
[02:11] | When we ask that question, we say | 问这问题时,我们通常会说 |
[02:12] | “People like yourself.” | “像你本身这样的人” |
[02:13] | Or “People like you.” | 或“像你这样的人” 两种我都见过 |
[02:14] | I’ve seen it both ways. | 或“像你这样的人” 两种我都见过 |
[02:15] | “Yourself” Is a little softer. | “像你本身”语气比较柔和 |
[02:17] | Ed: and softer is bad? | 柔和不好吗? |
[02:18] | Softer is better. the point is… | 不,柔和比较好 |
[02:19] | The respondent isn’t confused and separating | 这种问法并不会对受访者 造成困扰 |
[02:22] | The respondent from the | 使用“像你本身”的字眼 |
[02:23] | Interviewer with “People like yourself” | 来区别受访者与访问者 |
[02:24] | Is pejorative | 反而有轻蔑意味 |
[02:25] | So, ed, larry, you can take this up with josh. | 反而有轻蔑意味 艾德、赖瑞 你们跟乔西把这个带上去 |
[02:27] | Leo, eastern standard time is sitting down to dinner. | 里奥,现在是东部标准时间的 晚餐时刻 |
[02:31] | The poll is fine. | 民调不会有问题 |
[02:32] | It’s an important poll, c.j. | 这次民调很重要,茜洁 |
[02:33] | I’m aware of its importance. | 我知道它的重要性,我也知道 |
[02:34] | And if we don’t start The phone banks, I might not have | 电话银行若不开始作业 |
[02:37] | Time to leak the internals to media outlets | 周末前我可能没有足够时间 |
[02:39] | Before we hit the weekends | 把结果透露给媒体 |
[02:40] | So, it turns out | 那问题还没解决… 过去三星期,我们努力往上爬 |
[02:41] | That over the last three weeks | 那问题还没解决… |
[02:43] | We’ve managed to climb out of the hole | 过去三星期,我们努力往上爬 |
[02:44] | Only we can’t tell anybody about it till monday | 只是要到下星期一 才能让大家知道结果 |
[02:46] | Because we stood here all night arguing about asymmetry. | 因为我们整夜在这里 |
[02:50] | ( sighs ) | 争论对称问题 |
[02:51] | It’s time. | 该开始了 |
[02:53] | Anybody want to make a prediction? | 有谁想预测结果? |
[02:55] | We’ll hold at 42% job approval. | 我们会维持42%的认同度 |
[02:57] | We’ll hold steady. | 我们会持平 只要持平,我就很满意 |
[02:58] | I’ll be happy if we hold steady. | 只要持平,我就很满意 |
[03:00] | We’ll drop a few points | 我们会下降几点 |
[03:01] | But it will be inside the plus or minus. | 但仍在误差范围内 |
[03:04] | C.j.? | 茜洁? |
[03:05] | We’re going to go up five points. | 我们会上升五点 |
[03:10] | President thinks we’re going to hold steady. | 总统认为我们会持平 |
[03:13] | The president is wrong. | 总统错了 |
[03:14] | You think? | 你这么认为? 是的 |
[03:14] | Yes. | 你这么认为? 是的 |
[03:16] | Let’s find out. | 我们就拭目以待 |
[03:18] | Toby, tell sam to start the banks. | 托比,通知山姆 |
[03:25] | ( phone rings ) | 电话银行开始作业 |
[03:28] | Sam seaborn. | 我是山姆希朋,好 |
[03:29] | Okay. | |
[03:32] | Let’s get our report card. | 开始验收我们的成绩单吧 |
[03:35] | Okay, here we go… | 好,开始了 罗伯洛 茉拉凯利 杜希尔 艾莉森詹尼 里察薛福 约翰史宾塞 布雷迪威佛德 马丁辛 “白宫风云” “星期一晚上” “民调开始3小时” |
[04:37] | Hey, sam. hey, ginger. | 山姆 金婕 |
[04:38] | How’s it going in there? | 里面情况如何? |
[04:39] | I popped mandy with my tranquilizer gun. | 我用麻醉枪替��蒂打了一针 |
[04:41] | She’s doing fine. | 她的情况很好 |
[04:42] | Bonnie wanted to know why it takes 48 hours. | 邦妮在问为何需要48小时 |
[04:45] | We need 1,500 responses. | 我们需要一千五百份答案 |
[04:46] | It takes 30 people 48 hours | 三十个人打一千五百通电话 |
[04:48] | To make 1,500 calls? | 需要48小时? |
[04:49] | It takes them about 12 hours to make 1,500 calls. | 打一千五百通电话 需要约十二小时 |
[04:51] | We need 1,500 responses | 我们需要一千五百份答案 |
[04:52] | Which means we need to make 6,000 calls. | 那表示必须打六千通电话 |
[04:55] | Sam? yeah? | 山姆 什么事? |
[04:56] | Only one in four people don’t hang up? | 四人中只有一人不会挂电话? |
[04:58] | That’s if you’re lucky. | 那还是运气好的时候 |
[05:04] | The g.w. Law school graduation is tomorrow. | 乔治华盛顿法学院 |
[05:07] | Yeah. | 明天举行毕业典礼 |
[05:08] | Were you going to go see your friend? | 你要去见你的朋友吗? |
[05:10] | Laurie? | 洛丽 对 |
[05:11] | Yeah. | 洛丽 对 |
[05:12] | I wish you’d call her laurie. | 我希望你能称呼她洛丽 |
[05:14] | Were you going to go see her graduate law school tomorrow? | 你明天要去看她 从法学院毕业吗? |
[05:16] | Yeah. | 要 |
[05:19] | You can’t. | 你不能去 |
[05:22] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[05:23] | I really do believe steve onorato knows and he’s… | 我真的相信 |
[05:25] | Yeah. | 史提欧诺拉脱知道这件事 |
[05:27] | He’ll try and use it to embarrass us. | 而且会用它来让我们难堪 |
[05:29] | Okay. | 好 |
[05:31] | They know who this girl is. | 他们知道这女孩是谁 |
[05:33] | They know she’s graduating law school tomorrow. | 也知道她明天毕业 |
[05:34] | They know it’s someplace you’re likely to be. | 他们知道你会去毕业典礼 |
[05:37] | Maybe they want to snap a picture… | 或许会去拍照,或许… |
[05:38] | Laurie. what? | 洛丽 什么? |
[05:41] | You called her “This girl.” | 你叫她“这女孩” |
[05:43] | Sam, you can’t. | 山姆,你不能去 |
[05:45] | I said okay, toby. | 我已经说不去了 |
[05:46] | Do you see me arguing with you? | 我有跟你讨价还价吗? |
[05:48] | No. | 没有 |
[05:49] | Anything else? | 还有事吗? |
[05:52] | Nope. | 没有 |
[05:54] | ( sighs ) | |
[05:55] | Biggest day of her life. | 她一生中最大的日子 |
[05:57] | Huge day. | 最重要的日子 |
[06:00] | I mean, she put herself | 她完成了法学院学业 |
[06:01] | Through law school, and I know that there are people | 我知道南卡罗莱纳州 |
[06:03] | In south carolina that don’t like how she did it… | 有人不喜欢她这样 |
[06:04] | Not just south carolina, sam. | 不只南卡罗莱纳州 |
[06:05] | Then both carolinas, toby | 好吧,南北卡罗莱纳两州 |
[06:07] | Though I’ve never understood what business it is… | 虽我从没搞清 这跟他们有何关系 |
[06:09] | You can’t go, sam. | 你不能去,山姆 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 |
[06:13] | I’m not going. | 我没有要去 谢谢 |
[06:15] | Thank you. | 制片:李维林威尔斯 编剧:艾伦索金 导演:唐恩史卡迪诺 |
[06:33] | Leo. | 里奥 他来了吗? |
[06:33] | Is he here? yeah. | 里奥 他来了吗? |
[06:34] | Wait in here for a minute | 在这里等一会 |
[06:35] | Then go back out and send him in. | 再出去请他进来 |
[06:37] | Okay. Why do you want me to wait in here? | 好 你为何要我在这里等? |
[06:40] | Because I do. | 因为我要 |
[06:42] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[06:52] | It feels weird not doing anything. | 什么都不做,感觉好奇怪 |
[06:54] | Yeah… | 是啊 |
[07:00] | It feels weird, you know, ’cause the instinct… | 真的很奇怪,因为我觉得… |
[07:02] | Okay, go out and send him in. | 好,出去请他进来 |
[07:05] | Okay. | 好 |
[07:14] | Barry. | 巴瑞 是 |
[07:15] | Yes. | 我是里奥马加瑞 |
[07:16] | Leo mcgarry. | 我是里奥马加瑞 |
[07:18] | Barry haskel. | 我是巴瑞哈斯柯 |
[07:19] | Good to meet you. | 真高兴见到你 |
[07:20] | Is this your first time in the white house? | 这是你第一次到白宫吗? |
[07:22] | It’s my first time in the west wing. | 是我第一次到西厢办公室 |
[07:24] | You’ve been on the federal election commission for nine years | 你在联选会九年了 |
[07:27] | And no one’s ever invited you to the white house? | 从来没人请你到白宫来? |
[07:29] | Not to the west wing. | 没到过西厢办公室,曾去过… |
[07:30] | There have been… | |
[07:31] | I go to the annual christmas party at o.e.o.b. | 我每年都去白宫的 旧行政大楼参加圣诞聚会 |
[07:33] | And last christmas the vice president | 去年,副总统也去待了一会 |
[07:35] | Stopped in for a moment and it was very nice. | 非常好 |
[07:37] | Barry. | 巴瑞,我要跟你谈 竞选经费改革 |
[07:38] | Mm-hmm. | 巴瑞,我要跟你谈 |
[07:41] | I wanted to talk to you about campaign finance reform | 竞选经费改革 |
[07:44] | And, specifically, soft money contributions. | 尤其是政治献金的事 |
[07:46] | Right. I had a hunch. | 是的,我已经料到了 |
[07:48] | Could I possibly have a glass of fruit juice? | 我可以喝杯果汁吗? |
[07:50] | Are you thirsty? | 你口渴吗? |
[07:51] | I’ll be perfectly honest, mr. Mcgarry. | 老实说,马加瑞先生 |
[07:52] | This is the first time I’ve been called | 这是我第一次被召唤到 |
[07:54] | To the office of the white house chief of staff. | 白宫幕僚长办公室… |
[07:56] | You’re a little nervous? | 你有点紧张 |
[07:57] | You know you walk past a dress marine | 我进来时,门口有个 |
[07:59] | When you come in here? | 穿着军礼服的海军陆战队员 |
[08:00] | Rodney. | 朗尼? |
[08:02] | I didn’t catch his name, but… | 我没问他的名字 |
[08:04] | Oh, rodney’s great. | 朗尼人很好,朗尼 |
[08:05] | Rodney! | |
[08:07] | Yes, mr. Mcgarry. | 是的,马加瑞先生 |
[08:08] | Could you do that thing you were doing before? | 是的,马加瑞先生 你能表演操枪动作吗 |
[08:24] | Thanks, rodney. | 谢谢你,朗尼 |
[08:26] | Any time, sir. | 随时听候差遣 |
[08:28] | It’s amazing, and that rifle’s really loaded, too. | 很棒吧?他的枪还上了膛呢 |
[08:31] | Mr. Mcgarry… | 马加瑞先生… 叫我里奥 |
[08:32] | Call me leo. | 马加瑞先生… 叫我里奥 |
[08:33] | Leo… | 里奥… |
[08:34] | There’s no need to be nervous, barry. | 不用紧张,巴瑞 |
[08:35] | We know you’re one of us. | 我们知道你是我们这边的 |
[08:38] | I’m sorry? | 对不起,这什么意思 |
[08:39] | I say | 我说我知道你是我们这边的 |
[08:40] | We know you’re one of us. | |
[08:42] | Six commissioners on the f.e.c. | 联选会六名委员,两人刚辞职 |
[08:44] | Two just resigned, leaving four, including you. | 剩下四个,包括你在内 |
[08:48] | The belief has always been that none of the four of you | 大家向来都以为四名委员中 |
[08:50] | Favor a ban on soft money contributions | 没人赞成禁止政治献金 |
[08:53] | But the truth is, you do. | 但事实上…你赞成 |
[08:56] | That’s not true. | 这不是真的 是真的 |
[08:57] | Yes, it is. | 这不是真的 是真的 我之所以知道 是因为你这么说过 |
[08:58] | And the way that I know that it is | 我之所以知道 |
[08:59] | Is ’cause you said so. | 是因为你这么说过 |
[09:01] | You said so to the newark star-ledger | 你在一九九五年三月十三日 |
[09:03] | On march 13th, 1995– | 对纽渥克星报这么说过: |
[09:06] | “Money isn’t speech.” | 献金不是言论 |
[09:08] | And you said so two years before that | 在这之前两年,你也曾对 |
[09:10] | To the detroit free press. | 底特律自由报说过: |
[09:12] | “We must reverse the 1978 regulatory decision | 我们必须反转一九七八年 |
[09:16] | Allowing soft money.” | 允许政治献金的限制决议 |
[09:18] | Those quotes were anonymous. | 这些话发表时都是不具名的 现在不是了 |
[09:20] | Not anymore. | 我是以不具名条件说那些话的 我了解你的感受 |
[09:21] | I gave those quotes | 我是以不具名条件说那些话的 |
[09:22] | On the condition of anonymity. I know how you feel. | 我了解你的感受 |
[09:24] | I went to drug rehab on the condition of anonymity. | 我去勒戒中心时 也是以不具名条件进去 |
[09:27] | Maybe you read about it in the papers. | 或许你在报上看过 |
[09:29] | Barry, barry! | 巴瑞,你想禁止政治献金 |
[09:31] | You want to ban soft money, you’re one of us. | 你跟我们有志一同 |
[09:35] | You’ve been outed. | 你一直被排挤在外 |
[09:38] | It never made much. | 在联选会里五比一的比数 |
[09:41] | Being outnumbered five to one on the f.e.c. | 我一个人力单势薄 |
[09:43] | It never made much sense to me to swim against the grain. | 始终无法有什么影响… |
[09:47] | I would have been… I understand. | 我了解 |
[09:48] | I would have been irrelevant… | 无法改变大局… |
[09:50] | Plus, you’d have had a hard time getting re-upped | 再加上你任期届满时 |
[09:52] | By the senate when your term expired. | 参院不会考虑再提名你 |
[09:53] | Exactly. on the other hand | 没错 |
[09:55] | If we hadn’t gone out and found you | 反过来说,若我们不去找你 |
[09:57] | You probably never would have been invited to the white house. | 你可能永远不会受邀到白宫 |
[10:00] | See, now… When I got the call from your office | 当我接到你们的来电 |
[10:03] | My wife and her friends said | 我太太和她的朋友就说 |
[10:05] | This is what was going to happen. | 我会碰上这些事 |
[10:08] | What’s that? | 什么事? 你会摆出白宫的排场 像在耀武扬威一样 |
[10:09] | That you were going to use | 你会摆出白宫的排场 |
[10:10] | The trappings of the white house. That there was going to be a sort of, um… Intimidation. | 像在耀武扬威一样 |
[10:16] | No one’s intimidating you, barry. | 没有人在对你耀武扬威 |
[10:17] | You’re with us. | 你和我们是同一边的 |
[10:19] | You were wandering for years in the darkness | 你在黑暗中游荡多年 |
[10:21] | But we came and found you. | 但我们找到了你 |
[10:24] | And welcome back to the pack. | 欢迎你回来过群体生活 |
[10:26] | Coercion, then? | 这是强逼就范? |
[10:30] | And I noticed that I’m sitting here | 我注意到我坐在幕僚长办公室 |
[10:32] | In the chief of staff’s office | |
[10:35] | With all the trappings of the white house | 感受到白宫的排场… 巴瑞… |
[10:38] | And my wife and her friends say | 我太太和她的朋友说 |
[10:40] | Its not uncommon for people to get lightheaded and starstruck. | 一般人都会觉得飘飘然… …眼冒金星 |
[10:46] | And I’ve heard the same thing from other people, too. | 我也听别人说过这种情况 |
[10:50] | Nonsense. | 胡说八道 |
[10:51] | Let me show you around the place. | 我带你去参观参观 |
[10:54] | If I could just get a glass of water. | 我想喝杯水 |
[10:56] | No problem. We keep it in here. ( men laughing and talking ) | 没问题,水在这里 |
[11:02] | Mr. President, I’m so sorry to interrupt. | 总统先生,对不起,打扰你们 |
[11:05] | Not at all. we’re just having a nightcap. | 不会,我们只是在睡前小酌 |
[11:07] | I’d like you to meet barry haskel from the f.e.c. | 这位是联选会的巴瑞哈斯柯 |
[11:10] | Oh, may I present treasury secretary kenneth… | 我来介绍这位是财政部长… |
[11:12] | How are you? | 我是肯凯多,幸会 |
[11:13] | Mr. Attorney general. | 司法部长 我是丹拉森 |
[11:15] | Dan larson. | 还有中情局局长罗勃柯纳 幸会 |
[11:16] | Of course, cia director, rob konrad. | 还有中情局局长罗勃柯纳 幸会 |
[11:18] | It’s good to see you. | 巴瑞,我是杰德巴特勒 |
[11:19] | Barry, I’m jed bartlet. | 巴瑞,我是杰德巴特勒 |
[11:20] | I understand you’re thinking about helping us out. | 我知道你在考虑帮助我们 |
[11:22] | That makes me so happy. | 我非常高兴 |
[11:25] | It’s an honor to meet you, sir. | 很荣幸见到你,总统先生 |
[11:27] | Barry’s a little thirsty. | 巴瑞,有点口渴 |
[11:29] | Well, let’s get him a drink. | 快替他倒杯饮料 |
[11:31] | They’ll take good care of you. | 他们会好好照顾你 |
[11:31] | Come on, barry. | 来,坐下跟我们喝一杯 |
[11:32] | Sit down and have a drink with us. | |
[11:34] | Leo… | 里奥 |
[11:39] | Just put him in the boat. | 你让他上了我们的船 |
[11:40] | This could all be for nothing. | 这也可能是白忙一场 |
[11:42] | Yeah. | 对 |
[11:43] | I mean, if the numbers… | 我是说若民调… |
[11:44] | Yeah. | 开始了吗? 三小时前开始了 |
[11:45] | Did we start? | 开始了吗? |
[11:46] | We put the poll in the field three hours ago. | 三小时前开始了 |
[11:49] | All right. | 好,你们做了预测吗? |
[11:50] | Did the guys make any predictions? | |
[11:52] | No, I didn’t ask. | 没有,我没问 |
[11:54] | Yes, you did. | 你问了 |
[11:55] | They think we’re going to hold at 42. | 他们认为我们会维持在四十二 |
[11:57] | Toby thinks we dropped a few points | 托比认为我们会下降几点 |
[11:58] | But inside the margin. | 但在误差范围内 |
[12:01] | It could be worse. yeah. | 可能更糟 对 |
[12:03] | I mean, it could be worse than holding at 42. | 我是说那比持平更糟 对 |
[12:06] | ’cause if these numbers keep going down | 若民调数字继续下滑 |
[12:08] | I’m just a guy with barry haskel in his office. | 网罗巴瑞哈斯柯也没用 |
[12:10] | I’ll stop back in ten minutes. | 我十分钟后再过来 |
[12:12] | A dress marine guarding your door? | 穿军礼服的陆战队员 在你的门口站岗? |
[12:13] | To showy? | 太夸张了? |
[12:15] | My thing is what’s he supposed | 太夸张了? |
[12:16] | To be guarding right now? | 不,我的问题是 他现在应在哪里站岗 |
[12:18] | I’ll be right in here. | 我马上回来 |
[12:20] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[12:21] | Thank you, mr. President. | 谢谢你,总统先生 |
[12:30] | Woman: you are graduating tomorrow. | 你明天要毕业了… |
[12:33] | Shh. | |
[12:34] | You’re graduating tomorrow. | 你明天要毕业… 珍妮 |
[12:36] | Janeane… | 今天还在图书馆苦读 |
[12:37] | And yet you are in a library studying. | 今天还在图书馆苦读 |
[12:38] | There’s something called the bar exam. | 我还得考律师特考 |
[12:40] | Oh, are you taking it tonight? | 今晚要考吗? 不是 |
[12:43] | No. | 那我们出去乐一乐 再给我十分钟 |
[12:44] | Well… Then let’s go out. | 那我们出去乐一乐 |
[12:46] | Just give me ten more minutes. ( phone rings ) | 再给我十分钟 |
[12:49] | Oh, god, is that me? | 天啊,是我的手机吗? |
[12:50] | That’s me. | 天啊,是我的手机吗? 是我的 |
[12:54] | See the advantages of being a waitress? | 当女侍的好处就是… |
[12:56] | You don’t have to take the bar exam? | 不用考律师特考? |
[12:57] | That’s right. | 答对了 |
[12:59] | You’re not going to be a waitress forever. | 总不能一辈子当女侍 |
[13:01] | Answer your phone. | 接电话 |
[13:04] | Hello. | |
[13:05] | Sam: are you in the library? | 你在图书馆里? |
[13:07] | It’s you. | 是你 |
[13:08] | Are you in the library | 毕业典礼前一晚 你居然在图书馆 |
[13:09] | On the night before? | 毕业典礼前一晚 你居然在图书馆 |
[13:10] | Three years of law school– I do not understand real estate. | 法律系读了三年 我还没搞懂不动产法 |
[13:14] | Nobody does. Listen… | 没有人懂,听我说… |
[13:16] | You can’t come tomorrow. | 明天你不能来? |
[13:17] | No. | 对 |
[13:21] | I understand. | 我了解 |
[13:24] | There’s reason to believe | 多数党领袖的手下 |
[13:26] | A staffer in the majority leader’s office knows about you. | 很可能知道我认识你 |
[13:29] | He knows that I know you | 他或许知道很久了 |
[13:30] | And he’s probably known the information for some time | 但他要等候时机 |
[13:32] | But has been waiting for the moment | 让这消息造成最大的震撼 |
[13:33] | When that information will cause the most trouble. | |
[13:35] | And that moment’s now? | 那时机就是现在? |
[13:38] | Yeah. | 对 |
[13:40] | That’s okay. | 没关系 |
[13:42] | No, it’s not okay, but… | 不,有关系,但… |
[13:44] | Baby, don’t guilt yourself over this. | 宝贝,你不必自责 |
[13:47] | I know you’ll be thinking about me. | 我知道你会想着我 |
[13:49] | I will. | 我会的 |
[13:52] | You go knock ’em dead tomorrow. | 明天去迷死他们 |
[13:55] | Okay. | 好 |
[13:57] | Okay. | 好 |
[14:04] | He can’t make it. | 他不能来 |
[14:05] | Yeah, I kind of guessed. | 我猜到了 |
[14:07] | Don’t worry about it. | 别担心 |
[14:09] | That’s right. it’s your week. | 没错,这星期你是主角 |
[14:12] | ( chuckles ) | |
[14:18] | You know what’s fun? | 你知道什么好玩吗? “星期二早上” |
[14:19] | The potomac in the morning. | 波多马克河的早晨 “民调开始十三小时” 是吗? |
[14:21] | Jogging along the potomac or sculling. | 在河边慢跑或作运动 |
[14:23] | Were you jogging this morning? | 你今天早上去慢跑? 没有 |
[14:24] | No. | 去做运动? |
[14:25] | Were you sculling? | 去做运动? 没有,我坐在长椅上吃焙果 |
[14:26] | No, I was sitting on a bench having a bagel. | 没有,我坐在长椅上吃焙果 |
[14:28] | But from where I was, both jogging and sculling | 但从我坐的地方看 |
[14:29] | Looked good to me. | 慢跑和做运动都很不错 |
[14:31] | Bonnie, I need you to arrange a meeting with ross kassenbach. | 邦妮 替我安排和罗斯卡生巴会面 什么时候? |
[14:33] | For when? soon as possible. | 愈快愈好 |
[14:35] | Also, I need the next two minutes the president’s got. | 还有,如果总统有空 我需要见他两分钟 |
[14:38] | You found one? yeah. | 你找到空缺了? |
[14:39] | Ambassador to the federated states of micronesia. | 什么职位? 驻密克罗尼西亚联邦大使 |
[14:43] | Is that a real country? | 真有这个国家吗? 有 |
[14:44] | Yep. the federated states | 密克罗尼西亚联邦国 是的 |
[14:46] | Of micronesia? yes. | 听起来像热门音乐… 真的有这国家 |
[14:47] | ’cause it sounds like a place | 听起来像热门音乐… 真的有这国家 |
[14:48] | The marx brothers… real country. | 托比 |
[14:50] | Toby, the president’s got two minutes in two minutes. | 总统两分钟后有两分钟时间 |
[14:51] | Come with me for this. | 跟我来一会 |
[14:54] | President: based on what? | 根据什么? 总统 |
[14:55] | Based on what is he making that claim? | 他根据什么说这番话? |
[14:57] | Based on a memo… | 根据那份备忘录 毒品的事我们已经说了三星期 |
[14:58] | We’ve been out there for three weeks. | 早安,总统先生 早安,查理 |
[14:59] | Good morning, charlie. | 我们放出风声已经三星期了 |
[15:00] | We’ve been out there for three weeks. | 我们放出风声已经三星期了 |
[15:02] | crossfire, meet the press, charlie rose the today show, the tonight show | 各家媒体,报社 |
[15:05] | good morning, scottsdale. time, newsweek, popular mechanics. | 各类电视节目,杂志 |
[15:09] | We’ve been out there saying | 我们不是要合法化 |
[15:11] | We’re not talking about legalization– We are talking about treatment. | 我们谈的是治疗 |
[15:13] | Sir, there’s a memo. | 这份备忘录是三十年来 |
[15:15] | It’s the same memo that’s been generated By every administration for 30 years. | 各执政团队共同创作的 |
[15:18] | Well, how do you want to handle it? | 你想怎么办? |
[15:19] | By saying it’s the same that’s been generated | 就说是三十年来 |
[15:21] | By every administration for 30 years. | 各执政团队共同创作的 |
[15:22] | It sounds like we’re soft | 我觉得不好 听起来我们没什么作为 |
[15:23] | On the issue. good morning, mr. President. | 早安,总统先生 |
[15:25] | Steve onorato’s saying I want to legalize drugs. | 史提欧诺拉脱说 我要让毒品合法化 |
[15:28] | Sam: that’s the same memo that’s been | 这份备忘录是三十年来 |
[15:30] | Generated by every administration for 30 years. | 各执政团队共同创作的 |
[15:32] | C.j., that’s exactly what you should say. | 茜洁,这正是你应该说的话 |
[15:35] | Thanks. | 谢了 |
[15:37] | Leo was in here last night. | 里奥昨晚来说你们预测 |
[15:39] | He said you guys predicted We’d hold steady at 42. | 民调会维持在42点 |
[15:42] | Were you just being optimistic | 你们是乐观以对 |
[15:43] | Or you really think we held our ground? | 还是真的认为我们能持平 |
[15:44] | Toby: I said we might drop a couple | 我说我们可能下降几点 但在误差范围内 |
[15:46] | But inside the margin. | 我认为我们能持平 |
[15:47] | I think we held our ground. | 我认为我们能持平 |
[15:48] | I didn’t say that, sir. | 我没那么说,总统 对不起 |
[15:50] | Sorry? | 我没说我们会维持在42点 我说我们会上升5点 |
[15:51] | I didn’t say we’d hold steady at 42. | 我没说我们会维持在42点 |
[15:52] | I said we’d gain five points. | 我说我们会上升5点 |
[15:55] | Yeah? | 是吗? |
[15:56] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 |
[15:57] | Well, okay. | 好,有人愿意告诉茜洁 |
[15:58] | Anybody want to offer c.j. The odds? | 这机率有多少吗? |
[16:03] | Talk to the press. | 去跟记者说明 |
[16:05] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 告诉他们 过去三十年来的每个执政团队 |
[16:05] | Tell them every administration | 告诉他们 |
[16:07] | For the past 30 years has generated that memo. | 过去三十年来的每个执政团队 共同创造了那份备忘录 |
[16:09] | Yes, sir. that’s it. | 是的,总统 没事了 |
[16:10] | Thank you, mr. President. | 谢谢你,总统先生 |
[16:11] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[16:14] | What do you got? | 有什么事? |
[16:16] | The federated states of micronesia. | 密克罗尼西亚联邦国 |
[16:18] | Toby says it’s a country. | 托比说那是个国家 |
[16:19] | It is. You know where? | 是个国家没错 你知道在哪里吗? |
[16:20] | I assume it’s a small island | 我想是南太平洋的一个小岛国 |
[16:22] | In the south pacific. | 其实是南太平洋607个小岛 |
[16:23] | It’s actually 607 small islands | 其实是南太平洋607个小岛 |
[16:25] | In the south pacific. | |
[16:27] | Interestingly, while its total land mass | 有趣的是它的总面积 |
[16:30] | Is only 270 square miles | 虽只有270平方哩 |
[16:32] | It occupies more than a million square miles | 但却占了超过 一百万平方哩的太平洋面积 |
[16:34] | Of the pacific ocean. | 人口是十二万七千人 美国大使馆位于彭纳沛州 |
[16:35] | Population’s 127,000 | 人口是十二万七千人 |
[16:37] | And the u.s. Embassy is located in the state of pohnpei | 美国大使馆位于彭纳沛州 |
[16:40] | And not, as many people believe, on the island of yap. | 而不是许多人误认的耶普岛 |
[16:45] | Why would a person have that information at their disposal? | 怎么会有人去记这种事情? |
[16:48] | Parties. | 为了应酬 |
[16:50] | Toby: um, sir? | 总统先生… |
[16:52] | I looked at the federated states of micronesia. | 我查过它的资料 |
[16:55] | I can’t fire our ambassador. | 我不能将我们的大使革职 |
[16:56] | Why not? somebody’s going to ask me | 为什么? |
[16:58] | Why I fired him and I won’t be able to come up | 有人会问我原因 我想不出他们想听的答案 |
[17:00] | With the answer they’re looking for. | 山姆已经替你想好办法了 什么办法? |
[17:01] | Sam’s got you covered. | 山姆已经替你想好办法了 什么办法? |
[17:02] | How? | 你不是要开革大使 你是要升他的官 |
[17:03] | You’re not going to fire the ambassador. | 你不是要开革大使 |
[17:05] | You’re going to promote him. | 你是要升他的官 |
[17:07] | To what? | 升到哪里去? 升为巴拉圭大使 现任巴拉圭大使呢? |
[17:07] | Ambassador to paraguay. | 升为巴拉圭大使 |
[17:09] | And what happens to the ambassador to paraguay? | 现任巴拉圭大使呢? |
[17:11] | You make him ambassador to bulgaria. | 你升他为保加利亚大使 |
[17:13] | Hey, I like this. | 真好,每个人都往上升一级 |
[17:14] | Of course, if everybody keeps moving up one Then I get to go home. | 我就只好回家吃自己 |
[17:17] | The bulgarian ambassador’s | 保加利亚大使据说和 |
[17:18] | Believed to be having an affair With the daughter of prime minister | 该国路卡诺总理的女儿闹绯闻 |
[17:22] | Toder lukanov. | 那位大使是肯卡克蓝,对吧 是的,总统 |
[17:23] | That ambassador is ken cochran? | 那位大使是肯卡克蓝,对吧 |
[17:25] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 |
[17:26] | He’s having an affair with the daughter | 他和保加利亚总理 |
[17:28] | Of the bulgarian prime minister? | 的女儿闹绯闻? |
[17:30] | Who the state department is saying is upset. | 国务院说总理很生气 |
[17:32] | I can imagine. | 可想而知 |
[17:34] | Do you know him, sir? | 你认识他吗?总统先生 |
[17:35] | The prime minister of bulgaria? | 保加利亚总理吗? |
[17:37] | Ambassador cochran. | 卡克蓝大使 |
[17:38] | I know his wife. | 我认识他太太 |
[17:40] | Ouch. | 他惨了 我非得把肯卡克蓝革职不可吗 是的,总统 |
[17:41] | I got to fire ken cochran? | 我非得把肯卡克蓝革职不可吗 |
[17:43] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 |
[17:45] | I don’t want it to be because of the girl. | 但我不想是因为绯闻的缘故 为什么? |
[17:47] | Why not? | 我认识他太太 |
[17:48] | I know his wife. | 我认识他太太 |
[17:50] | We can create legitimate grounds for incompetence. | 我们可以制造 不称职的正当理由 |
[17:52] | Well, it looks to me | 他确实不称职 |
[17:54] | Like there are legitimate grounds for incompetence But come up with different ones, would you? | 但再想点别的,可以吗? |
[17:59] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 |
[18:00] | All right, let’s do it. | 好,去做吧 |
[18:01] | Both: thank you, mr. President. | 谢谢你,总统先生 |
[18:03] | Charlie. | 查理 |
[18:06] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统先生 |
[18:08] | I need to meet with ambassador cochran. | 我要见卡克蓝大使,他应该 |
[18:09] | He can be found in his office At the u.s. Embassy in bulgaria, or not. | 在美国驻保加利亚大使馆 |
[18:13] | Either way, I’d like the state department to put | 不论找不找得到他 |
[18:15] | His ass on a plane and have it in this office tomorrow. | 我要国务院把他送上飞机 明天上午到我办公室来 |
[18:18] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 谢谢 |
[18:19] | Thank you. | 是肯卡克蓝吗?总统先生 是的 |
[18:20] | Is that ken cochran, mr. President? | 是肯卡克蓝吗?总统先生 |
[18:21] | Yeah. Okay. | 是的 |
[18:23] | What? | 怎么了? |
[18:25] | I’m sorry, sir? | 对不起,总统? |
[18:26] | It looked like when I said ken cochran | 我说肯卡克蓝时 |
[18:28] | That you knew who he was. | 你好像认识他 |
[18:29] | No, sir. | 我不认识 |
[18:30] | Okay. | |
[18:31] | Thank you, mr. President. | 谢谢你,总统先生 |
[18:37] | Josh: they might put it on the table. | 他们可能会提出来讨论 |
[18:39] | They won’t put it on the table. | 他们不会提出来讨论 可能会 |
[18:40] | They might. | 不会 |
[18:41] | They won’t. I’m saying | 不会 |
[18:42] | If they do put it on the table… | 我是说万一他们提出来讨论 他们不会 |
[18:44] | They won’t. is there | 请你让我有 说完一句话的机会好吗? |
[18:45] | Any possibility you’ll let me | 请你让我有 |
[18:46] | Finish a sentence? | 说完一句话的机会好吗? |
[18:48] | Any chance at all? | 可以给我这样的机会吗? |
[18:49] | You don’t have to raise your voice to me. | 你不必对我大声小声的 |
[18:52] | How the hell do you know if I’m raising my voice at you? | 你怎么知道我对你大声 |
[18:55] | I guessed. | 我猜的 |
[18:57] | You’re here to give me a counterargument on english | 你来是要提供我 |
[19:00] | As the official language of the united states, you are not here | 英语为美国国语的反辩 |
[19:02] | To speculate on whether or not the republicans | 不是来臆测 |
[19:04] | Will put the issue on the table. | 共和党是否会提出此议题 |
[19:06] | Okay. | 好 |
[19:07] | Good. | 很好 |
[19:09] | What did she say? | 她说什么? |
[19:10] | They won’t. | 他们不会 |
[19:11] | Okay, look… | 好,听我说… |
[19:13] | Josh. what? | 乔西 什么事? |
[19:15] | You wanted me to let you know when c.j. Started | 茜洁开始谈毒品备忘录时 |
[19:16] | Talking about the drug memo. | 你要我通知你 |
[19:17] | C.j. Started already? | 茜洁已经开始向记者简报了? 半小时前 |
[19:18] | A half hour ago. | 简报不是要十一点才开始吗? |
[19:19] | The briefing’s not supposed to start till 11:00. | 你猜怎么着? |
[19:21] | Guess what? my watch sucks? | 我的表烂透了 没错 |
[19:23] | When I get back, you’re going to argue with me. | 我会再来 等我回来,你再跟我吵 |
[19:25] | We’re going to argue about things I want to argue about | 我们要吵我想吵的事 |
[19:28] | And you’ll do your best not to annoy me. | 你要尽力别太惹恼我 |
[19:30] | It’s almost hard to believe you’re not married. | 真不敢相信你还没结婚 |
[19:32] | Oh-ho-ho! | 很多人试过 |
[19:34] | Many have tried. | |
[19:36] | Did toby find a country? | 托比找到国家了吗? |
[19:37] | The federated states of micronesia. | 密克罗尼西亚联邦 那真的是个国家吗? |
[19:39] | Is that a real country? | 是的,它位于你从没带我去的 |
[19:41] | Yes, it’s located 2,500 miles southwest of hawaii Where you’ve never taken me. | 夏威夷西南方两千五百哩处 |
[19:45] | When was I supposed to take you to hawaii? | 我什么时候又欠了你 一趟夏威夷之旅? |
[19:47] | Anytime. It’s something bosses do. | 很久了,这是老板该做的事 |
[19:49] | The federated states of micronesia. | 密克罗尼西亚联邦 |
[19:51] | They have some of the best scuba diving in the world. | 那里有全世界最佳的潜水场地 好 |
[19:53] | The mantas, for instance, on the island of yap | 雅普岛产的方巾曾荣获… |
[19:55] | Are prized among those who… Stop talking now. | 不要说话 |
[19:57] | …with the point being | 重点在于使用快克的 最低刑期比可卡因粉末高得多 |
[19:58] | That the mandatory minimum sentencing guidelines | 重点在于使用快克的 |
[20:00] | Applied to crack cocaine as opposed to powder cocaine | 最低刑期比可卡因粉末高得多 |
[20:03] | Are fairly transparently racist. | 这就是相当明显的种族歧视 |
[20:05] | A guy takes his assistant on a quick trip to maui. | 老板带助理去毛伊岛 |
[20:07] | It’s not, like, unheard of. shh. | 这种事时有所闻 |
[20:08] | Hang on. | 茜洁… 等一下 |
[20:10] | Woman: c.j. | 最低刑期要求联邦法官判决 |
[20:10] | Hang on. | 最低刑期要求联邦法官判决 |
[20:12] | Mandatory minimums require a federal judge | |
[20:14] | To sentence anyone convicted of possessing five grams of crack | 任何拥有五公克快克的罪犯 |
[20:16] | To at least five years in prison. | 至少五年刑期 |
[20:18] | It takes 100 times as much powder cocaine | 但拥有一百倍份量的 |
[20:20] | And 20 times as much heroin to get that sentence. | 可卡因粉末和二十倍海洛英 才会被判同样的刑期 |
[20:23] | 70% of all drug users are white. | 吸毒者总数中有七成是白人 |
[20:25] | 80% of all crack users are black. | 快克使用者中有八成是黑人 |
[20:27] | Federal mandatory minimums for crack users | 针对快克使用者的 联邦最低刑期决议 |
[20:29] | Are a war on the black community. | 对黑人而言不啻为一场战争 |
[20:30] | Danny. | |
[20:32] | Is the white house making a crusade | 白宫是否想维护吸毒者的权益 |
[20:33] | Out of defending the rights of drug users? | |
[20:35] | Oh, please. Katie, you had a question. | 拜托,凯蒂,你有问题要问 |
[20:37] | Do you have…? hang on, c.j. I was asking if… | 你们是否有… 慢着,茜洁,我在问是否… |
[20:38] | The white house is committed to reversing | 白宫致力于纠正吸毒 |
[20:40] | The devastating effects of drug abuse. | 对我们社会造成重大危害 |
[20:42] | We believe the best way | 我们认为最好的方法 |
[20:43] | Is to treat drug addiction | 是给予治疗 |
[20:45] | As what the a.m.a. has said it is– a medical problem. | 美国医药学会也同意 这是个医学问题 |
[20:47] | We do not believe in a phony war on drugs | 我们不相信对毒品的虚假讨伐 |
[20:49] | The chief accomplishment of which would be | 那么做充其量只是 |
[20:51] | To either kill or incarcerate black drug users. | 杀死或监禁黑人吸毒者 |
[20:53] | C.j., are you aware…? steve onorato’s saying | 茜洁,你知道史提欧诺拉脱… |
[20:55] | The white house supports legalization? | 他说白宫支持毒品合法化? 是的 |
[20:57] | Yes. how surprising that in the midst | 在如此重要的辩论中 |
[20:58] | Of an important debate, the president would be accused of being soft on drugs. | 总统,居然被指为 对毒品态度软弱,真叫人意外 |
[21:02] | Steve onorato has a memo written by the assistant surgeon general. | 史提欧诺拉脱有一份 副公共卫生局长写的备忘录 |
[21:05] | I’d be happy to produce similar memos | 我很乐意拿出内容相似 |
[21:07] | Written for every president | 过去三十年来历任总统 |
[21:08] | In the last 30 years | 使用的备忘录 |
[21:10] | Including four republicans. | 包括四任共和党总统 |
[21:11] | That’s all. thank you, everybody. | 报告完毕,谢谢各位 |
[21:13] | Hi. There wasn’t, I don’t think | 你干嘛不准我发问 |
[21:14] | A huge reason to snap at me. | |
[21:16] | It was a ridiculous question. | 你的问题很荒谬 才不会 |
[21:17] | No, it wasn’t. is the white house | 白宫是否想维护吸毒的权益? |
[21:18] | Crusading for the rights of drug users? | 你明知道我不是那个意思 |
[21:20] | You know that’s not what I meant. | 我知道你不是那个意思 |
[21:22] | I do, but I don’t count on everybody always understanding | 但我不敢保证每个人都搞得清 你说的每句话的意思 |
[21:23] | What the hell comes out of your mouth | 因为连我有半数时间 都搞不清楚 |
[21:25] | When I can’t half the time. | 所以你只是在替别人问? |
[21:26] | So you were just helping out. | 所以你只是在替别人问? 是的 而且你不能永远生我的气 |
[21:27] | Yes. You can’t stay pissed at me forever. | 是的 而且你不能永远生我的气 |
[21:29] | Let’s find out. mandy’s thing went away. | 我们走着瞧 ��蒂的事过去了 你看见有谁还在大作文章 |
[21:31] | See anybody writing or talking about it? | 听到有谁还在谈论吗? |
[21:33] | Is there really a need to continue punishing me…? | 有必要为这事继续惩罚我… |
[21:35] | hang on. | 等一下 |
[21:42] | They talk about it here, danny. | 我们的人还在说,丹尼 |
[21:44] | They talk about it here. | |
[21:45] | And they blame you? | 他们怪你 |
[21:50] | They don’t say it. | 他们没说 |
[21:51] | But they blame you. | 但他们怪你 |
[21:53] | Yes. | 对 |
[21:55] | And you think you’ve let them down. | 你认为你没把事情做好 |
[21:58] | ( knocking ) | |
[22:01] | C.j., you’re late for the g-7 briefing. | 茜洁 你七大工业国简报会迟到了 |
[22:04] | I have to go back to work. | 我得回去工作了 |
[22:05] | Okay. | |
[22:06] | C.j.? | 茜洁 |
[22:08] | Call the phone banks, check in with the poll. | 联络电话银行,查看民调数字 |
[22:11] | I checked in with the poll a half hour ago. | 我半小时前查过了 再查一次 |
[22:12] | Check again. | 再查一次 “星期二晚上” “民调进行27小时” |
[22:33] | Leo… | 里奥 什么事? |
[22:34] | Yeah? | 茜洁来了 |
[22:35] | C.j.’s here. | 茜洁来了 |
[22:37] | Okay. | |
[22:38] | Want to hear a joke? | 想听个笑话吗? |
[22:42] | Uh… Okay. | 好 |
[22:43] | You know why | 你知道为什么 |
[22:44] | They eat only one egg for breakfast in france? | 法国人早餐只吃一个蛋 |
[22:46] | Why? | 为什么? 因为在法国 一个蛋就是一声惨叫 |
[22:47] | ’cause in france, one egg is an oeuf. | 因为在法国 一个蛋就是一声惨叫 |
[22:51] | Okay, c.j.’s here. | 茜洁来了 |
[22:53] | Okay. | |
[22:59] | Hi. | |
[22:59] | Hey. | |
[23:02] | The lid is on. | 压住他们了 |
[23:03] | You told me. hmm? | 你跟我说过了 |
[23:05] | You called me an hour ago and told me it was a full lid. | 你一小时前就打电话给我 |
[23:09] | Yeah. | 说你压住他们了 |
[23:12] | I’m going to go over | 我要去电话银行查看民调情况 |
[23:13] | To the phone banks, check in with the poll. | |
[23:16] | Okay. | |
[23:18] | Leo, this is a small thing and I hate to bring it up… | 有件小事我实在不想提 |
[23:20] | What? | 什么? 今天早上我跟总统一起时 他提到你告诉他 |
[23:21] | I was in with the president this morning | 今天早上我跟总统一起时 |
[23:23] | And he mentioned that you told him | 他提到你告诉他 |
[23:24] | That when you asked for predictions | 大家都预测 |
[23:26] | Everyone said we’d hold steady at 42. | 我们会维持在42点 |
[23:28] | Yeah? | 但我没那么说 我说我们会上升五点 |
[23:29] | But I didn’t say that. | 但我没那么说 |
[23:31] | I said we’d go up five points. | 我说我们会上升五点 |
[23:33] | I meant in general… on average. | 我说的是一般反应,平均数 |
[23:35] | Yeah… | 就像删除太高的分数 |
[23:36] | C.j., like lopping off the score | |
[23:38] | From the east german judge. | |
[23:39] | It wasn’t woman’s intuition. | 里奥,这不是女人的直觉 我觉得很奇怪… |
[23:40] | Don’t read too much… | 别想太多 我觉得很奇怪为何… |
[23:42] | I’m saying it’s strange my take wasn’t… | 我要你别太多心 |
[23:44] | I’m saying, don’t read too much into it. | |
[23:49] | All right? | 好吗? |
[23:51] | Okay. | |
[23:52] | Anything else? | 还有事吗? |
[23:55] | No. I’m going to go check the phone banks. | 没有,我要去查看民调情况 |
[24:01] | Josh: theodore roosevelt said… | 罗斯福总统说… 乔西 |
[24:02] | Josh… | 我来告诉你罗斯福总统说什么 |
[24:04] | Let me tell you what roosevelt said. | 我来告诉你罗斯福总统说什么 “中央电话银行 国家统计小组” |
[24:05] | What do I care what theodore roosevelt said? | “中央电话银行 国家统计小组” 我才不在乎 罗斯福总统说了什么 |
[24:07] | Because the republicans are going to bring it up. | 因为共和党会提出来 |
[24:09] | They aren’t going to put it on the table. | 共和党不会提出来 |
[24:11] | He said “We have room for but one language here | 他说:我们只容得下一种语言 |
[24:14] | “And that is the english language | 那就是英语 |
[24:16] | “For we intend to see that the crucible | 我们打算让人民经过历练 |
[24:17] | “Turns our people out as americans | 成为美国人 |
[24:19] | “And not as dwellers | 而不是住在 |
[24:21] | In polyglot boarding house.” | 多种语言宿舍的居民 |
[24:22] | What kind of boarding house? | 什么样的宿舍? |
[24:24] | Polyglot. it means… | 多种语言,意思是使用各种… |
[24:26] | Having knowledge of or speaking… | |
[24:27] | I know what polyglot means. | 我知道多种语言的意思 |
[24:29] | Then why did you ask me? | 那你干嘛问我? |
[24:31] | He asked you. | 是他问你 |
[24:32] | My point is… | 我的意思是… |
[24:32] | Would the two of you | 你们两人或三人,请闭嘴好吗 |
[24:34] | Shut up– or the three of you? | |
[24:35] | However many of you are talking | 不论你们是几个人在说话 |
[24:36] | Could half of you stop? | 请不要说了可以吗? |
[24:38] | Mandy’s wound a little tight during polling windows. | 民调期间 ��蒂的神经绷得比较紧 |
[24:41] | C.j.: what are you doing here? | 你们都在这里做什么? |
[24:42] | Another laid-back member of our team. | 又来了一位我们的落后队员 |
[24:44] | What are you all doing here? | 你们都在这里做什么? |
[24:45] | Mandy’s here | ��蒂是本来就应该在这里 |
[24:46] | ’cause she’s supposed to be. Joey’s here because al kiefer… | 乔伊是艾尔基佛要她来的 |
[24:49] | What are you doing here? | 那你在这里做什么? |
[24:50] | I’m kind of in charge of morale. | 我是负责提振士气的 |
[24:52] | Calls are going great. | 乔西… 民调进行得很顺利 |
[24:53] | I’m trying to meet a deadline, josh. | 我们有时间限制 只有48小时的时间 |
[24:54] | I’ve got a 48 hour window | 你不能站在这里 |
[24:56] | And you can’t stand here distracting the female callers. | 害女性访问员分心 |
[24:58] | Have I been distracting | 我是否让女性访问员分心 |
[25:00] | The female callers? | |
[25:01] | All: no. | 没有 乔西… |
[25:03] | Not even a little bit? this is what I’m saying. | 一点都没有吗? 我说的就是这个 |
[25:05] | The window’s fine, it’s a good response rate. | 时间还很充裕,民众都很配合 |
[25:07] | They’re making their quotas. stop bothering me. | 每个人都达到他们的配额 别再烦我了 |
[25:09] | Did josh mention he’s in charge of morale? | 乔西刚才说他负责提振士气? |
[25:11] | Yes, I am, and as such | 是的,没错 所以我要去替大家拿咖啡 |
[25:12] | I’m going out to get coffee for everyone | 所有的人 |
[25:14] | ’cause a few hundred volts of caffeine Is just what the doctor ordered around here. | 都需要注入一点咖啡因 |
[25:18] | And you should’ve been more impressed | 我能引经据典 说出罗斯福总统的话 |
[25:20] | That I was able to quote theodore roosevelt. | 你应该对我刮目相看才对 |
[25:23] | I was impressed that you knew | 你知道“多种语言”这个字 |
[25:25] | What polyglot meant. | 我觉得很了不起 |
[25:28] | 760 s.a.t. Word, baby. | 我的词汇能力很强 |
[25:31] | ( women laughing ) | |
[25:44] | You are both drunk and disorderly. | 你们俩喝醉酒,扰乱安宁 我的天 |
[25:47] | Oh, my god. | 恭喜你毕业 |
[25:48] | Happy graduation. | 恭喜你毕业 你怎么知道… 没想到吧 |
[25:49] | How did you… | 你怎么知道… 没想到吧 |
[25:50] | Surprise! janeane? | 珍妮… |
[25:51] | We worked in cahoots. | 我们携手合作 |
[25:53] | We did. you planned this? | 没错 |
[25:54] | This is why you dragged me back to your apartment? | 你们设计好的? 所以你才把我拖回你的住处? |
[25:56] | Are you glad that I dragged you back? | 你很高兴 我把你拖回我的住处吧 |
[25:58] | Yes. | 那就别再噜嗦,我上楼去了 |
[25:59] | Well, then, be quiet. | 那就别再噜嗦,我上楼去了 |
[26:01] | And I’ll be upstairs. | |
[26:03] | Good night, janeane. | 晚安,珍妮 |
[26:05] | Good night, janeane. | 晚安,珍妮 |
[26:11] | What did you get me? | 你带了什么给我? 毕业礼物 |
[26:12] | A graduation gift. | 是公事包吗?我猜对了? |
[26:13] | Is it a briefcase? | 是公事包吗?我猜对了? |
[26:15] | Did I just ruin it? | |
[26:17] | I only asked | 我问是因为典型的 |
[26:18] | Because a briefcase Is the typical law school graduation gift | 法学院毕业礼物就是公事包 |
[26:21] | And when I say typical | 我说典型,没有呆板的意思 |
[26:22] | I don’t mean boring, I just mean basic. | 我的意思是基本 |
[26:24] | And when I say basic I don’t mean boring either. | 我说基本,也没有呆板的意思 |
[26:29] | Open the box. | 打开盒子 |
[26:35] | You bought me a pen? | 你送我一支笔? 是一支好笔,可以倒着写 到外太空还能用 |
[26:36] | It’s a good one. It writes upside-down and you can use that pen | 是一支好笔,可以倒着写 |
[26:38] | In outer space. ( chuckles ) | 到外太空还能用 |
[26:41] | Where’s my present? | 你要送我的礼物在哪里? |
[26:49] | Happy graduation, counselor. | 恭喜你毕业,律师 |
[26:51] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[27:02] | Way to go, laurie. | 真有你的,洛丽 |
[27:03] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[27:06] | I have to go. | 我得走了 |
[27:07] | You spending the night here? | 你要在这里过夜还是… |
[27:09] | No, I’m going to go upstairs… | 我要上楼去找珍,她有… |
[27:10] | ( car engine starts ) | |
[27:19] | Did you see anybody get into that car? | 你有没看见车上的人? |
[27:21] | ( tires squealing in the distance ) | “星期四上午” “民调进行36小时” |
[27:40] | He’s ready to see us. | 总统准备好要见我们了 |
[27:41] | What’d he say? | 他怎么说? |
[27:42] | He said, “Get your ass over here.” | 他说要你滚过去 |
[27:44] | I’ve drafted a letter of resignation. | 我的辞职书写好了 |
[27:46] | You’re not going to give it to him, sam | 你不能把辞职书交给他 |
[27:47] | ’cause that would deny me the pleasure | 那样我就无法享受 |
[27:49] | Of throwing you out through a plate glass window. | 把你由窗口摔出去的快感 |
[27:51] | You have every right to say that. | 你有权利那么说 |
[27:52] | Thank you for acknowledging that right. | 谢谢你承认我的权利 |
[27:53] | I should keep you on a leash… | 托比… 我真该用链条把你栓住 你知道吗? |
[27:55] | Leo? | 我真该用链条把你栓住 你知道吗? 里奥 |
[27:56] | I’m talking to c.j., then I’m talking to you. | 我现在要去找茜洁 然后去找你们 |
[27:58] | Ten foot chain around your neck | 十尺长的链条套住你的脖子 |
[28:00] | I bolt you to your desk | 栓在你的办公桌上 |
[28:01] | I have someone come in and feed you. | 我会派人送东西来给你吃 |
[28:02] | I’m going to check, but I’m almost certain | 我会去查,但我可以确定 |
[28:04] | The president was referring to the nasdaq composite | 总统指的是纳斯达克指数 |
[28:06] | And not the 30-year treasury yield. | 不是三十年财政收益 |
[28:09] | Not the dow industrials, the nasdaq composite. | 不是道琼指数 是纳斯达克指数 |
[28:13] | Okay, someone here’s going to get back to you. | 我会请人回你电话 |
[28:17] | How do you not tell me until this morning? | 你怎么到今天早上才告诉我 里奥 |
[28:19] | Leo… | 你昨晚为何不打电话给我 昨晚我们什么都还没查出来 |
[28:20] | How do you not call me last night? | 你昨晚为何不打电话给我 |
[28:21] | We didn’t know anything last night. | 昨晚我们什么都还没查出来 |
[28:22] | He met the girl and saw a suspicious car. | 山姆打电话给你 |
[28:24] | I’m not going to call up the white house chief of staff | 是的,他跟那女孩见面 看到一辆可疑的车子 |
[28:26] | In the middle of the night | 我不会因为有人发动一辆车 |
[28:28] | Because someone started a car. | 而在半夜打电话给白宫幕僚长 |
[28:29] | I was handling it, leo. | 茜洁… |
[28:30] | It took me three hours | 我当时在处理 |
[28:31] | To confirm there was a picture | 花了三小时确认有人拍了照 |
[28:33] | And another hour to find out who has it. | 又花一小时查出在谁手上 |
[28:36] | Who has it? | 在谁手上? |
[28:37] | The london daily mirror. | 伦敦镜报,他们付了五万元 |
[28:40] | They paid a waitress friend of hers $50,000 to set it up | 给她当女侍的朋友 |
[28:42] | And confirm she was a call girl. | 安排了这个机会 并确认她曾当过应召女郎 |
[28:45] | When is it running? | 什么时候会见报? |
[28:46] | It’ll run later today. | 今天的晚报 |
[28:47] | American press has it tomorrow morning. | 美国报纸明天会登 |
[28:50] | He was giving her | 他去送她毕业礼物? |
[28:51] | A graduation present? yeah. | |
[28:54] | Work the post and the times. | 去跟华盛顿邮报和时报谈一谈 |
[28:55] | Yeah. | 好 |
[28:58] | President: you never paid this girl | 你从未为了发生性关系 付钱给那女孩? |
[28:59] | To have sex? no, sir. | 从来没有,总统 |
[29:01] | Toby: they didn’t have that kind of relationship, sir. | 他们的之间不是那种关系 |
[29:03] | Except once and that time | 除了有一次 |
[29:04] | He didn’t know what was happening. | 那时他不知道发生什么事 |
[29:06] | That makes two of us. | 我也一样 |
[29:07] | Sam has always been completely above board | 总统先生,山姆对他跟洛丽 |
[29:09] | About his relationship with laurie… | 的关系一直都很诚实 |
[29:10] | Laurie’s the girl? yes, sir. | 洛丽就是那女孩? 是,总统 |
[29:12] | He told us about it right after his first contact | 九个月前他第一次 |
[29:13] | With her nine months ago. | 跟她接触后就告诉我们 |
[29:15] | The fact that she was putting herself through law school | 她能在逆境中完成法律学业 |
[29:18] | Under circumstances that were less than good | 其实很难能可贵 |
[29:20] | Has to mean something, as does the fact | 同样的,山姆的话也无懈可击 |
[29:21] | That sam’s word is unimpeachable. | |
[29:23] | Toby, are you in here sticking up for sam? | 托比,你是来为山姆说话的? |
[29:26] | I know, it’s strange, sir. But I’m feeling | 我知道这很奇怪 |
[29:28] | A certain big brotherly connection right now. You know, obviously I’d like that feeling | 但我现在有种大哥哥的感觉 |
[29:33] | To go away as soon as possible | 我也很希望这种感觉尽快消失 |
[29:35] | But for the moment | 但目前我认为 |
[29:37] | I think there’s no danger in the white house standing by sam | 白宫支持山姆应该没有危险 |
[29:39] | And aggressively going after the people who set him up. | 也应积极追查设计陷害他的人 |
[29:43] | ( sighs ) | |
[29:45] | Sam, you’re going to spend the morning | 山姆,今天上午 |
[29:48] | In the white house counsel’s office | 你必须到白宫律师办公室 |
[29:50] | Finding out if you broke any laws. | 去看看你是否触犯任何法律 是的,总统 |
[29:50] | Yes, sir. | 去看看你是否触犯任何法律 是的,总统 |
[29:52] | You should call the girl– what’s her name? | 你也应该打电话给那女孩 她叫什么名字? |
[29:53] | Laurie. laurie. | 洛丽 |
[29:54] | You should call her and tell her | 洛丽 |
[29:56] | The white house deeply regrets | 你该打电话告诉她 |
[29:58] | The phenomenal inconvenience she’s about to experience. | 白宫对她即将经历的不便 |
[30:00] | Yes, sir. | 深感歉意 |
[30:01] | You might want to point out to her she probably | 是的,总统 |
[30:03] | Has a cause of action against the paper. | 你提醒她 |
[30:05] | Yes, sir. | 她可能有理由对报纸提出告诉 |
[30:07] | You should tell her that if she passes the bar exam | 是的,总统 |
[30:10] | The u.s. Attorney general | 你也告诉她 若她通过律师特考 |
[30:11] | Will personally see to it that she’s admitted to the bar. | 美国司法部长将亲自主持 她的宣誓典礼 |
[30:15] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 |
[30:16] | Tell her the president of the united states | 是的,总统 |
[30:18] | Says congratulations on getting her degree. | 告诉她 美国总统恭喜她获得学位 |
[30:22] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 |
[30:23] | That’s all. | 没事了 |
[30:26] | Thank you, mr. President. | 谢谢你,总统先生 |
[30:34] | It’s nice when we can do something for prostitutes | 偶尔能为风尘女郎 |
[30:37] | Once in a while, isn’t it? | 做点事也满好的,对吧 |
[30:38] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 |
[30:39] | Mr. President… we ready to go? | 总统先生 |
[30:41] | Ambassador cochran’s in the mural room | 都准备好了吗? |
[30:42] | And ted mitchel’s waiting outside. | 卡克蓝大使在壁画室 泰德米契在外面等 |
[30:44] | Where are we putting lobell and his people? | 罗贝尔和他的手下安置在哪里 |
[30:45] | In the roosevelt room. | 在罗斯福厅 |
[30:46] | He’s going to have | 他会有很多职员同行 |
[30:48] | A lot of staff with him. | 是的,总统 |
[30:49] | I don’t know what any of them do | 我不知道他们的职位 |
[30:51] | But there they are wherever lobell goes | 但罗贝尔所到之处 |
[30:53] | 14-15 guys. | 总会有十四、五个人随行 总统先生 |
[30:54] | I’ll take care of this first. | 我先处理这件事 |
[30:55] | I’ll see you across the hall. | 待会对面房间见 |
[30:56] | Thank you, mr. President. | 谢谢你,总统先生 |
[30:58] | Who’s in the mural room? ken cochran. | 谁在壁画室? |
[30:59] | You did it again. | 肯卡克蓝 又来了 |
[31:01] | When you said the name cochran | 对不起,总统 每次你说起卡克蓝这名字 就好像你认识他 |
[31:02] | It was like you knew him. no, sir. | 每次你说起卡克蓝这名字 就好像你认识他 |
[31:04] | I have a sense about these things. yes, sir. | 我不认识,总统 对这种事情,我的感觉很敏锐 是的,总统 |
[31:06] | A finely honed sense. | 我的感觉很灵 |
[31:07] | It’s failing you, sir. Cochran’s in the mural room? | 现在不灵了 |
[31:10] | Yes, sir. | 卡克蓝在壁画室? |
[31:11] | Why don’t you go sit with him | 是的,总统 |
[31:12] | And send in ted mitchel. | 你过去陪他一下 并请泰德米契进来 |
[31:13] | Yes, sir. thank you. | 是的,总统 |
[31:14] | Mr. President… | 谢谢 |
[31:15] | Yes, of course. | 总统先生 是 |
[31:17] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[31:18] | Thank you. thank you, sir. | 谢谢 |
[31:20] | Ted. | 谢谢你,总统 泰德 |
[31:21] | Hey, mr. President. | 总统先生 |
[31:22] | Thank you for coming. | 谢谢你专程赶来 |
[31:23] | Oh, it’s my pleasure. | 这是我的荣幸 |
[31:24] | You’re looking good. | 你气色不错 我好得很 |
[31:25] | Oh, I feel good. | 你气色不错 我好得很 |
[31:26] | How is mary? | 尊夫人呢? |
[31:27] | She sends her love. | 她向你问好 |
[31:28] | I have something to do in the next room. | 我别的房间还有事要处理 |
[31:30] | Let me just tell you that I need a favor. | 我就直接告诉你 我需要你帮个忙 |
[31:32] | Oh, of course, sir. | 没问题,总统 |
[31:33] | I need you to hire a guy. who, sir? | 我要你雇用一个人 |
[31:35] | The former ambassador to bulgaria. | 谁?总统 前任驻保加利亚大使 |
[31:37] | Who is that, sir? | 那是谁?总统 肯卡克蓝 |
[31:38] | Ken cochran. | 那是谁?总统 肯卡克蓝 |
[31:39] | Isn’t cochran the current ambassador? | 他不是现任驻保加利亚大使吗 |
[31:41] | Not for long. | 就快卸任了 |
[31:42] | He’s a good man– a smart man. | 他是个好人,很聪明 |
[31:44] | I think he’d make a good corporate officer. | 一定能当个好主管 |
[31:46] | Why is he being fired? | 他为何被革职? |
[31:47] | Gross incompetence. I’ll be right back. | 严重失职,我马上回来 |
[31:53] | Good morning, sir. | 早安,总统先生 早安,南西 |
[31:54] | Good morning, nancy. | 早安,总统先生 早安,南西 罗贝尔参议员在罗斯福厅 好,我待会过去 |
[31:55] | Senator lobell’s in the roosevelt room. | 罗贝尔参议员在罗斯福厅 |
[31:56] | Yeah, I’ll be right in. | 好,我待会过去 |
[31:58] | Mr. President. ken. | 总统先生 肯 |
[32:00] | It’s good to see you again, sir. | 很高兴再见到你,总统 |
[32:01] | Thank you for flying in on such short notice. | 谢谢你这么短的时间赶来 |
[32:03] | Of course, mr. President. | 没问题,总统先生 |
[32:06] | What can I do for you? | 有什么事要我效劳? |
[32:07] | Resign. | 辞职 |
[32:10] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? |
[32:11] | You’ve been having an affair | 你说什么? |
[32:12] | With the daughter of the prime minister | 你和总理的女儿闹绯闻 |
[32:14] | And that doesn’t work for me | 我不允许这种事 |
[32:15] | But neither does a newspaper article Saying you’re having an affair | 也不允许报上刊登你的 |
[32:18] | With the daughter of the prime minister So I need you to resign. | 桃色新闻,所以我要你辞职 |
[32:21] | You’re getting a job offer from ted mitchel | 泰德米契会给你一份工作 |
[32:23] | For a lot more money than you’re making now. | 赚的钱比你现在多得多 |
[32:25] | That’s why you left the embassy. | 这就是你离职的原因 |
[32:27] | I’ll be back in a minute. Well… | 我马上回来 |
[32:36] | This is outrageous. | 这太过份了 |
[32:38] | This is outrageous | |
[32:40] | And I’ll explain that to him when he comes back in here. | 这太过份了 等他回来我会说给他听 |
[32:43] | Yes, sir. | 是的,先生 |
[32:46] | Have we met? | 我们见过吗? |
[32:48] | Sir? | 先生? |
[32:50] | You look very familiar to me. | 先生? |
[32:51] | Have we met? | 你看起来好面熟,我们见过吗 |
[32:53] | Yes, sir. | 是的,先生 |
[32:55] | Where? | 在哪里? |
[32:56] | I was a waiter at the gramercy club. | 我曾在葛玛西俱乐部当服务生 |
[33:01] | Charlie? | 查理? |
[33:02] | Yes, sir. ( laughing ) | 是的,先生 |
[33:05] | Charlie… | 查理 |
[33:06] | Yes, sir? | 查理 是的,先生 |
[33:08] | It’s good to see you again. | 很高兴再见到你 |
[33:10] | Yes, sir. | 是的,先生 |
[33:12] | Under strange circumstances | 目前这个情况 |
[33:14] | Which, when the president comes back, I’ll… | 等总统回来,我会跟他说明… |
[33:16] | Yes, sir. | 是的,先生 |
[33:20] | I resigned my membership in that club, by the way. | 对了 我退掉俱乐部的会员资格 |
[33:22] | Zdid you? | 是吗? 是的 |
[33:23] | Oh, yeah. | 是吗? 是的 |
[33:25] | I find exclusive clubs to be repugnant. | 我觉得入会资格太严的 |
[33:27] | I couldn’t help but notice | 俱乐部很令人讨厌 |
[33:28] | It didn’t stop you from joining up in the first place. | 你当初不是也加入了吗? |
[33:30] | Now, that’s out of line. | 这太离谱了 |
[33:32] | That’s out of line and that shouldn’t have been said | 太离谱了,你怎么能说这种话 |
[33:35] | You’ve forgotten that you’re addressing a u.s. Ambassador. | 别忘了,你在对美国大使说话 |
[33:37] | I apologize, sir. | 我向你道歉,先生 |
[33:39] | I’m sorry to do this | |
[33:40] | But I’d like to speak to your supervisor. | 对不起 |
[33:43] | Well, I’m personal aide to the president | 我必须向你的上司报告 我是总统的私人助理 |
[33:47] | So my supervisor’s a little busy right now | 所以我的上司现在正忙着 |
[33:49] | Looking for a back door to this place to shove you out of. | 找后门把你赶出去 |
[33:51] | But I’ll let him know you’d like to lodge a complaint. | 但我会让他知道你要申诉 |
[33:54] | ( door opens ) | 对不起,让你等那么久 |
[33:55] | Thanks for waiting. | |
[33:57] | Mr. President… | 总统先生,显然这年轻人 |
[33:59] | Clearly, this young man who works for you | 跟你说过我们过去的事情 |
[34:00] | Has told you something About our past and I’d like to say here and now… | 此时此地,我要说… |
[34:04] | It doesn’t have anything to do with that. | 这跟那件事没有关系… |
[34:05] | Wait a second… You two have a past? | 慢着,你们有过去的事情? |
[34:09] | Charlie: sir… | 总统先生… |
[34:10] | You mocked my finely honed sense. | 你还嘲笑我敏锐的感觉 |
[34:12] | Yes, sir. you stood there in my face– | 是的,总统 |
[34:13] | Sir… | 你居然跟我睁着眼… 总统先生… |
[34:14] | It’s done, ken– ted mitchel’s | 都谈好了,泰德米契 会让你出任他们的董事 请记住,尊夫人是我的好友 我不愿看到她出糗 |
[34:16] | Going to put you on the board of directors. | |
[34:18] | And please remember | |
[34:20] | That I have a lot of affection for your wife | |
[34:22] | And I would hate to see her | |
[34:23] | Be made a fool of. | |
[34:28] | I think it would be appropriate at this time, mr. President | 我现在有件事想对你坦白 |
[34:31] | To make a confession. | 总统先生 |
[34:34] | What’s that? | 什么事? |
[34:35] | I never voted for you. | 投票时,我的票没投给你 |
[34:37] | Well, thanks for trying, but here I am, anyway. | 谢谢你的反击 |
[34:41] | Gotta go. ( door closes ) | 但我还是当选了,我得走了 |
[34:46] | All set? | 都摆平了? |
[34:48] | Look at that– 14 staffers in there. | 你看看,来了十四名幕僚 |
[34:50] | You have quite a large staff, too, mr. President. | 你的幕僚也不少,总统先生 |
[34:52] | Yeah, but I don’t walk around with them, you know? | 没错,但我不会 到哪儿都带着他们 |
[34:55] | Good morning. | 早安 |
[34:56] | Good morning, mr. President. | 早安,总统先生 |
[34:58] | Please allow me to introduce bob simons, peter rathburn… | 请容我介绍 鲍布西蒙、彼德瑞斯朋… |
[35:02] | Max, I don’t need to know all the names. | 迈克斯,我不需要知道 |
[35:04] | That’s okay. please sit down. | 他们的名字,请坐 |
[35:07] | Lobell: all right, then. | 好吧 |
[35:09] | You know what we’re doing here, right? | 你知道我们见面的目的,对吧 |
[35:11] | We’re going to talk about soft money. | 我们要谈政治献金 |
[35:13] | We’re going to do more | 我们要做的不止是谈而已 |
[35:14] | Than talk about it. okay. | 好 |
[35:17] | We agree on nothing, max. | 我们毫无共识,迈克斯 |
[35:18] | Yes, sir. | |
[35:21] | Education, guns, drugs | 是的,总统 |
[35:22] | School prayer, gays, defense spending, taxes– | 教育、枪枝、毒品、学校祈祷 同性恋、国防预算、税务 |
[35:25] | You name it, we disagree. | 随你说,我们全都意见分歧 |
[35:26] | You know why? | |
[35:29] | ’cause I’m a lily-livered, bleeding-heart liberal, egghead communist. | 你知道为什么吗? 因为我是个没心没肝 丧尽天良的共产党 |
[35:33] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 |
[35:35] | And I’m a gun-totin’, redneck son of a bitch. | 而我是荷枪实弹 粗鲁野蛮的大浑蛋 |
[35:38] | Yes, you are. | 对,没错 |
[35:39] | We agree on that. | 这点我们有共识了 |
[35:41] | We also agree on campaign finance. | 我们还对竞选财务有志一同 |
[35:45] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 |
[35:46] | So, max… yes, sir? | 是的,总统 所以迈克斯… 是的,总统 |
[35:47] | Let’s work together on campaign finance. | 这方面我们可以携手合作 |
[35:50] | You don’t have the votes in the house. | 你没有得到众院的表决通过 |
[35:52] | I don’t need them. | 我不需要 |
[35:53] | 1978, the f.e.c. Voted a regulatory rule | 一九七八年联选会通过 |
[35:57] | That opened the door to soft money. | 一项常规为政治献金开了门 |
[35:58] | The f.e.c. Can close it again with four of the six votes. | 联选会可以六票中的四票 再把它关闭 |
[36:01] | We don’t need a law. | 我们不需要立法通过 |
[36:02] | And how are you going to get the four votes? | 你要如何拿到四票 |
[36:05] | Two seats opened up. | 两个席位出缺 |
[36:06] | I nominated bacon and calhoun. That’s two. | 我提名贝肯和卡洪 |
[36:09] | Barry haskel was with us already. | 这样有两票了 |
[36:11] | We took him out of the closet. | 巴瑞哈斯柯已加入我们的阵营 我们让他真正的立场见了光 |
[36:14] | How you going to get the fourth seat to open up? | 你要如何取得第四票? |
[36:16] | Toby’s going to take care of that right away. | 托比很快就要去处理这件事 |
[36:18] | Max… | 迈克斯 |
[36:20] | Can I count on your support to confirm my candidates? | 你能支持我提名的人选吗? |
[36:24] | And what do I get in exchange? | 我能得到什么? |
[36:30] | The thanks of a grateful president. | 总统的诚挚谢意 |
[36:37] | Good answer, sir. | 答得好 |
[36:41] | Go. | 去吧 |
[36:45] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[36:49] | Mr. Kassenbach. | 卡生巴先生 |
[36:50] | Yes. | 是的 |
[36:51] | Hi, I’m toby ziegler. | 你好,我是托比齐格 |
[36:51] | Very nice to meet you. | 幸会 |
[36:53] | The president thinks you’ve done an excellent job | 总统认为 |
[36:54] | On the federal election commission | 你在联选会的表现很优异 |
[36:56] | And would like to extend his warmest congratulations. | 并要向你致上最深的祝贺 |
[36:58] | On what? | |
[36:59] | On being named the next ambassador | 祝贺什么? 担任下任 |
[37:02] | To the federated states of micronesia. | 驻密克罗尼西亚联邦大使 “星期三晚上” “民调完成” |
[37:20] | It’s in. | 结果出炉了? |
[37:24] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[37:25] | You talk to him? | 他们告诉你了? |
[37:26] | They sealed it in an envelope | 他们用信封靡封起来 |
[37:28] | And sent it by courier. | 由专人送来 |
[37:32] | So, joey mentioned she talked to you. | 乔伊说你跟她谈过? |
[37:34] | Yeah. | 对 |
[37:36] | She said you think you only have so many times left | 她说你认为你能走进 |
[37:38] | You can walk into the oval office and sing a song. | 椭圆办公室唱歌的时日不多了 |
[37:45] | She said, “Sing a song”? | 她说唱歌? |
[37:46] | No, that’s what I thought she said. | 没有,是我猜的 |
[37:49] | I’m trying to pick up some sign | 我正在学手语 |
[37:51] | And right now we’re doing it by letters of the alphabet. | 现在我学到字母阶段 |
[37:53] | So I had kenny come over and interpret it | 所以我请肯尼进来翻译 |
[37:55] | And it turns out that she said | 结果是她说你认为你能走进 |
[37:57] | You think you only have so many times left You can come into the oval office and say, “You’re wrong.” | 椭圆办公室认错的机会不多 |
[38:01] | He hasn’t been calling my number that much, josh. | 总统找我的次数也不多 |
[38:03] | He did on this– this last three weeks | 这次他找你了,过去这三星期 |
[38:05] | The media strategy was yours. | 媒体策略就是你处理的 |
[38:06] | I know. | 我知道 你也该听乔伊的 维持42点是个好数字 |
[38:07] | Joey says holding at 42 is a good number. | 你也该听乔伊的 维持42点是个好数字 |
[38:09] | You shouldn’t expect a five-point bump. | 你不应期望跃升五点 |
[38:11] | I do expect it. Okay. | 我真的有这样的期望 |
[38:18] | He thinks of you like a daughter, c.j. | 他把你当女儿看,茜洁 |
[38:22] | That’s not a good enough reason to keep me here. | 这样的理由不足以把我留下 |
[38:27] | You’ll come as soon as you get it? yeah. | 你一拿到就会过来吗? |
[38:30] | ’cause we’re all waiting over there. | 我们都在那里等喔 |
[38:32] | Yeah. | 好 |
[38:50] | They’re delivering it to her. | 他们会把结果送给茜洁 对 |
[38:51] | Yeah. And then she’s going to bring it right here. | 她再拿过来 |
[38:53] | Yeah. Okay. Thank you. | 对 |
[39:06] | Kassenbach was okay? | 卡生巴的事办好了? |
[39:10] | I’m sorry, sir? | 对不起,先生 |
[39:12] | Kassenbach was okay. | 卡生巴的事办好了吗? |
[39:15] | He’s going to be an ambassador. | 他要当大使了,他很高兴 |
[39:17] | He feels pretty good. | |
[39:20] | Did you tell him about the weather? | 你有告知他当地的气候? |
[39:23] | Yes, sir. | 有 |
[39:26] | Scuba diving? | 潜水? |
[39:28] | ( chuckling ): yes, sir. | 是的 |
[39:31] | Full diplomatic immunity? | 完全的外交豁免权 |
[39:33] | Yes, sir. | 有,虽然密克罗尼西亚 |
[39:34] | Though there really aren’t a… A lot of laws in micronesia, sir. | 没那么多法律… |
[39:38] | Sure. | 没错 |
[39:40] | Good evening. | 晚安 |
[39:41] | Evening, josh. | 晚安,乔西 |
[39:44] | I just saw c.j. | 我刚去找茜洁 她待会就会拿过来 |
[39:45] | She’ll be here with it in a minute. | 我刚去找茜洁 她待会就会拿过来 |
[39:47] | Okay. | 好 |
[39:55] | Joey and I have been working | 乔伊和我在研究 |
[39:56] | On a counterargument to alexis de tocqueville. | 如何反击托克维尔的论点 |
[39:59] | We’re having a fight | 我们跟托克维尔吵架了? |
[40:00] | With alexis de tocqueville? | “十九世纪法国政治家” |
[40:01] | Mr. President, please don’t get him started. | 总统先生,他一说又没完没了 |
[40:03] | Joey, what say you to the position | 乔伊,若有种族战争在 |
[40:04] | That, with ethnic warfare spreading around the globe And particularly, in eastern europe | 全球蔓延,尤其是东欧 |
[40:09] | It’s only a matter of time before it reaches our shores | 迟早都会延烧到美国 你怎么办? |
[40:12] | And making english the official language of the united states | 确立英语为美国国语 |
[40:15] | With safeguard against the destruction Of our national identity | 能保卫我们的国家认同 |
[40:18] | And help us avoid ethnic strife? | 并避免种族斗争 |
[40:20] | What say you to that? You see that? | 这你怎么说? |
[40:25] | That’s what I been dealing with all week. | 看到了吗? 我整星期都要应付这种情况 |
[40:27] | Mr. President, 72% of hispanics | 总统先生 |
[40:30] | Are strongly opposed to such a law. | 72%西班牙裔都强烈反对 |
[40:33] | The republicans will never put it on the table | 共和党永远不会提出来讨论 |
[40:35] | Because they’ll risk losing | 因为他们可能会失去 |
[40:36] | The second largest ethnic bloc Of voters in the country. | 全国第二大的选民团体 |
[40:39] | But, if you did need a counterargument | 若你真的需要抗辩论点 |
[40:41] | Then I’d mention To monsieur de tocqueville over here | 我会跟这位托克维尔先生说 |
[40:46] | That, aside from it being bigoted and unconstitutional | 除了顽固和不合宪法之外 |
[40:48] | It’s ludicrous to think that laws need to be created | 认为需要立法来保护 |
[40:50] | To help protect the language of shakespeare. | 莎士比亚的语言简直是可笑 |
[40:54] | There, that’s all I was looking for– that one line. | 我要的就是这句话 |
[40:56] | It took you four days. | 你花了四天才说出来 |
[40:59] | She did it again. | 又来了 |
[41:00] | Yeah. | |
[41:18] | What kind of briefcase did you get her, sam? | 你送她什么样的公事包?山姆 |
[41:20] | Sir? | 总统先生? |
[41:22] | What kind of briefcase? | 什么样的公事? |
[41:25] | The coach beekman in british tan with brass hardware. | 毕可曼品牌,黄褐色,有铜�@ |
[41:28] | That’s nice. | 很好 |
[41:29] | Yes, sir. | 是的,总统 |
[41:31] | Andare makes a nice model. | 安德瑞牌的公事包式样也不错 |
[41:33] | Comes in black or brown. Hand-stained. | 有黑或棕色,手染皮 |
[41:38] | You can fit a laptop, notebooks… | 可放笔记型电脑、记事本… |
[41:40] | This conversation is surreal. | 这段对话好不真实 |
[41:42] | Trieste in milan makes a nice briefcase. | 米兰的崔耶斯蒂 做的公事包也很好 |
[42:01] | Good evening, mr. President. | 晚安,总统先生 |
[42:03] | The full polling book is 400 pages long | 完整的民调资料厚达四百页 |
[42:05] | And it’s still being put together. | 现在还在装订 |
[42:07] | I have the top sheet results. | 我这里有最后的结果 |
[42:09] | What does it say? | 上面写些什么? |
[42:11] | I was wrong. | 我错了 |
[42:15] | We went up nine points. | 我们上升了九点 |
[42:35] | Okay. | 很好,接下来做什么? |
[42:36] | What’s next? | |
[42:39] | ( all talking ) | 我们应该讨论新的预估… |