时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:07] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:09] | Hard as you might try, the Republican Party isn’t going anywhere. | 或许你很努力 但共和党哪里都去不了 |
[00:12] | You don’t know that. They could all move to Vancouver. | 话别说得太早 他们可以搬到温哥华 |
[00:15] | – I don’t think so. – Me neither. | -我可不那么想 -我也是 |
[00:17] | But everybody else can take a seat for four years. | 任何人都可以当四年总统 |
[00:20] | You have post-traumatic stress disorder. | 你得了创伤后压力症候群 |
[00:24] | Well, that doesn’t sound like something they’d let you have… | 听起来得了那种病的人 他们不会 |
[00:27] | …if you work for the president. | 让你为总统工作 |
[00:29] | This president was elected with 48 percent of the vote. | 这位总统 拿到了四成八的选票 |
[00:32] | – But he was elected. – Without a mandate. | -但他当选了 -他并没有获得授权 |
[00:34] | The majority of the people voted for somebody else. | 大部份的选民 把票投给了别人 圆桌早餐会议 |
[00:38] | We don’t need some kind of permission for this? | 这么做不需要获得许可吗? |
[00:40] | Shouldn’t there be some official supervision? | 我们不该请专家 来监督吗? |
[00:43] | We’re making a fire in a fireplace. What supervision do you want? | 我们在壁炉里生火 你需要什么样的监督? |
[00:46] | FEMA, the American Red Cross? | 联邦紧急应变中心,美国红十字会? |
[00:48] | – What kind of wood is this? – I don’t know. | -这是哪一种木材? -我不知道 |
[00:50] | – Josh… – It’s freezing in here. | -乔西 -我快冷死了 |
[00:52] | – I acknowledge that it’s cold. – It’s like Ice Station Zebra. | -我知道屋里很冷 -冷到鼻子都快掉了 |
[00:55] | – It also might bother someone. – It’s half past midnight. | -这可能会干扰到别人 -现在已经十二点半了 |
[00:58] | See, here’s the thing. This looks like spruce to me. | 看吧,就是这个 我觉得它是云杉木 |
[01:02] | Spruce is softwood. Softwood burns out quickly. | 云杉木是软木 软木很快就能烧起来 |
[01:04] | – You know what we need? – A hardwood? | -你知道我们需要什么吗? -硬木? |
[01:06] | – That’s right. – Interesting. | -没错 -真有趣 |
[01:08] | – Where did you get the wood? – It was sitting in the thing. | -你从哪里弄到木头的? -它就放在那里 |
[01:12] | I think that is meant to be decorative. | 我想那是装饰品 |
[01:15] | It’s wood. We’re not burning Benjamin Harrison’s log cabin. | 它是木头,我们又不是要烧掉 班哲明哈利森的木屋 |
[01:19] | – You know what? We might be. – Why? | -你知道吗?或许我们会那么做 -为什么? |
[01:21] | It was made out of spruce. | 它是用云杉木做的 |
[01:23] | – Where’s C.J.? – In the Roosevelt Room. | -茜洁在哪里? -她在罗斯福室 |
[01:25] | Is she doing the seating chart? | 她在安排座位表? |
[01:27] | Jancowitz has a hearing aid that seldom works. | 贾柯维兹的助听器 常常不管用 |
[01:29] | He needs to be seated near the center. Would you tell her that? | 他需要坐在中间附近 你跟她说了吗? |
[01:33] | You’re not using lighter fluid or anything, are you? | 你不会用油类来生火吧? |
[01:35] | No flammable liquids of any kind to start a fire, ever. | 千万别用可燃液体生火 |
[01:39] | – Found it. – What? | -找到了 -什么? |
[01:40] | – Kerosene. – Josh. | -煤油 -乔西 |
[01:42] | Go. | 去吧 |
[01:45] | Speaker. | 发言人 |
[01:46] | House majority, House minority. | 众议院多数党,众议院少数党 |
[01:50] | Senate majority, Senate minority. | 参议院多数党,参议院少数党 |
[01:53] | – Whip, whip, deputy, deputy. – Right. | -党鞭,党鞭,官员,官员 -对 |
[01:57] | Then the committee chairs. | 然后是委员会成员 |
[01:59] | Ways and Means here. | 大众福利组成员在这边 |
[02:00] | Finance here. House Appropriations here. | 财政委员会在这边 众议院拨款委员会在这边 |
[02:02] | Senate Appropriations, House Budget. | 参议院拨款委员会在这边 众议院预算委员会在这边 |
[02:04] | – Senate Budget. – Excellent. | -参议院预算委员会 -太棒了 |
[02:06] | – Which brings us to…? – White House staff. | -所以接下来是 -白宫工作人员 |
[02:08] | – So we’ve got the chief of staff. – Next to him the deputy chief of staff. | -先是幕僚长 -旁边是副幕僚长 |
[02:13] | On the other side of Leo will be the congressional and political liaison. | 里奥的另一边是 是国会跟政治联络人 |
[02:16] | Next, the communications director and deputy communications director. | 接下来是媒体主任 跟媒体副主任 |
[02:20] | – Staff aides? – They’ll stand around the wall. | -助理们呢? -他们得沿着墙边站好 |
[02:22] | – So we’re done? – We’re set. | -完成了吗? -没错 |
[02:25] | – C.J.? – Don’t give me a thing. | -茜洁 -别问我问题 |
[02:27] | Jancowitz has to sit closer to the center. | 贾柯维兹 得坐在中间附近 |
[02:29] | – Why? – He doesn’t hear well. | -为什么? -他的听力不太好 |
[02:30] | – He can’t sit closer. – His hearing aid malfunctions. | -他不能再往前移了 -他的助听器故障了 |
[02:33] | It’s a breakfast to trumpet a new spirit of bipartisan cooperation in the new year. | 谁会在乎,这是庆祝新年度 两党合作成功的早餐会 |
[02:37] | – No one will be listening. – I’m a messenger. | -没有人会认真听 -我只是来传话的 |
[02:39] | – He’s saying don’t snub him. – Because of the thing. | -他说不要怪他 -因为助听器 |
[02:42] | All right, ask him if it’s better to dis the House whip or the Senate whip. | 好吧,问他移动众议院党鞭 或参议院党鞭比较好 |
[02:47] | You wanna stand them in a tripod, right? | 你要他们三强鼎立吧? |
[02:49] | Yeah, standing three sticks on end and slanting them to a common center. | 对,让他们三个坐在一起 让他们变成一个集团 |
[02:53] | – Isn’t that a tripod? – But… | -那不就是三强鼎立吗? -但是 |
[02:55] | You just thought you’d say more words? | 你就是喜欢多说几个字? |
[02:58] | Josh. | 乔西 |
[02:59] | Hang on. You know what we need? | 等一下,你知道我们需要什么吗? |
[03:01] | – Dried leaves? – We need dried leaves. | -干树叶? -我们需要干树叶 |
[03:03] | We gotta move either the House or the Senate whip. | 我们得帮众议院 或参议院党鞭换位置 |
[03:06] | – House. – Why? | -众议院 -为什么? |
[03:07] | Because life is tough. And if he doesn’t like it, he can kiss me. | 因为生活是辛苦的 如果他不喜欢,他可以来找我 |
[03:10] | So the spirit of bipartisanship begins? | 开启两党合作的精神? |
[03:13] | Could you possibly get us some dried leaves? | 你能帮我们 找些干树叶来吗? |
[03:16] | I’ll just run out to the forest and be right back. | 我会跑到森林去 马上帮你们拿树叶来 |
[03:20] | – You know what? – You think she was being sarcastic? | -你知道吗? -她是在讽刺我们吗? |
[03:23] | Yeah, I don’t think she’s getting the leaves. | 对,我不认为她会去找树叶 |
[03:25] | – You know what we could use? – Newspaper. | -你知道我们可以用什么吗? -报纸 |
[03:27] | This is what I’m talking about. This is teamwork. | 这就是我要的 这就是团队精神 |
[03:30] | It really is. | 一点都没错 |
[03:31] | – House. – House? | -众议院 -众议院? |
[03:33] | So we move the House whip to the left of Sam… | 我们得把众议院党鞭 移到山姆左边 |
[03:35] | …and move Jancowitz across from Leo, and we’re set, right? | 将贾柯维兹迪到 里奥对面,这样子就行了吧? |
[03:39] | Larry, Ed, we’re set? | 赖瑞,艾德,可以吗? |
[03:42] | Either one of you? Thank you. | 你们觉得可以了吗?谢谢 |
[03:45] | You see? You thought it would take a long time, and it only took 71/2 hours. | 看到了没?我们以为得花 很多时间,实际上只花了七个小时半 |
[03:49] | – Somebody working on the heat? – Seating’s set. | -有人在修暖气吗? -座位安排好了 |
[03:51] | – That took some time. – It was hard. | -那花了一些时间 -那真的很难 |
[03:53] | You gotta find a Magic Marker. | 你得找只麦克笔来 |
[03:55] | When people sit with the president, there’s excruciating protocol involved. | 要安排总统跟大家坐在一起 我们得考虑到一项重要原则 |
[04:00] | – What? – Missed one. | -什么? -漏了一个人 |
[04:02] | – Who? – Take a look. | -谁? -看一下 |
[04:05] | – I’m looking. – It’ll happen. | -我正在看 -你会发现的 |
[04:12] | Okay, guys? You know what we did? | 好了,你们知道我们做了什么吗? |
[04:15] | – We forgot the president. – There it is. | -我们漏了总统 -在这里 |
[04:17] | Does anybody smell smoke? | 有人闻到烟味吗? |
[04:20] | Oh, God. | 天啊 |
[04:25] | I think this might be because the wood is wet. | 我想这可能 因为木头是湿的 |
[04:28] | The fire ought to dry it pretty quick, shouldn’t it? | 火应该很快就能把它烤干 对吧? |
[04:31] | What did you do? | 你们做了什么? |
[04:32] | – It’s going good. – There’s smoke in the hallways. | -情况已经控制住了 -走廊上都是烟 |
[04:35] | – What the hell’s going on? – The wood’s drying out. | -这是怎么一回事? -木头快烤干了 |
[04:37] | – Are you burning a dining-room table? – Spruce is a slow-drying wood. | -你们要烧了餐厅的桌子? -云杉木干的很慢 |
[04:41] | Do you have any idea what you’re talking about? | 你知道你在说什么吗? |
[04:43] | – Hang on. – Are those instructions? | -等一下 -那是使用指南吗? |
[04:45] | It says this fireplace was a “favorite of President Andrew Johnson”… | 上面写着这个壁炉是 “安德鲁强森总统的最爱” |
[04:48] | …and he would “sip whiskey from a charcoal keg while reading by its light. “ | 他会“在晚上边看书 边抽雪茄喝威士忌” |
[04:52] | That doesn’t help. | 那帮不了忙 |
[04:54] | The flue’s been welded shut since 1896. | 烟囱在1896年就封住了 |
[04:56] | – That’s probably it. – What are you doing? | -或许那就是原因 -你们在做什么? |
[04:58] | Somebody started a fire. | 有人起了火 |
[05:00] | If the alarms go off, I gotta wake the president. | 如果触动了警铃 我得叫醒总统 |
[05:02] | The president’s 1000 yards over and two flights up. | 总统在一千码外 两层楼高的地方睡觉 |
[05:05] | It’s procedure. | 这是标准程序 |
[05:06] | Well, let’s get a fire extinguisher and put it out before the smoke alarm… | 快拿灭火器来 把火给灭了,免得消防警铃 |
[05:14] | – What? – Mr. President. | -什么事? -总统先生 |
[05:16] | You know how you said not to wake you unless there was a fire? | 你还记得你说过除非失火了 不然别叫醒你吗? 罗伯洛 杜希尔 艾莉森詹尼 珍妮尔摩隆奈 里察薛福 约翰史宾塞 布雷迪威佛德 马丁辛 |
[06:07] | – These are the rules. – They’re the guidelines. | -这些是规定 -它们是准则 |
[06:09] | The meeting will last 90 minutes. | 这场会议将举行九十分钟 |
[06:11] | – And the rules… – Guidelines. | -规定 -准则 |
[06:13] | We can’t talk about the Patients’ Bill of Rights? | 我们不能谈病人权利法案? |
[06:15] | We can talk about it. | 当然可以 |
[06:16] | We just can’t talk about dropping the provision that would allow for litigation. | 我们只是不能谈到立法的 准备工作 |
[06:20] | – Why not? – That’s not what the breakfast is for. | -为什么? -那不是吃早餐该谈的事 |
[06:23] | – What’s it for? – To symbolize a spirit of cooperation… | -为什么? -象征合作的精神 |
[06:26] | …as the new session begins and to eat pancakes. | 新会期展开 我们得好好吃松饼 |
[06:28] | So on the Patients’ Bill of Rights, we’ll just debate the things we agree on. | 所以病人权利法案方面 我们只能辩论我们同意了的事 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 |
[06:34] | – And minimum wage? – We won’t be talking about that at all. | -最低工资呢? -那件事连谈都不谈 制片:劳伦斯欧唐尼尔二世 |
[06:37] | No, because it could lead to something. | 对,因为那可能会 导致不预期的结果 |
[06:39] | – We can’t talk about the Patients’ Bill? – We can. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 -我们不能谈病人权利法案? -我们可以 |
[06:42] | Just not about dropping the no-litigation clause. | 只是不要谈立法的工作 |
[06:44] | Why have rights if you can’t sue for them? | 如果不能告他们 那还叫什么权利? |
[06:47] | – Fine argument. – But we won’t make it? | -这是很有趣的论点 -但我们不能谈? |
[06:49] | – Not at this breakfast. – And minimum wage? | 制片:李维林威尔斯 -不能在这次早餐会谈 -最低工资呢? |
[06:51] | Not so much. | 不能谈太多 |
[06:52] | I see we won’t be talking about the 993 tax cut. | 编剧:艾伦索金 看来我们不会谈 993减税案 |
[06:55] | We won’t be, but we’ve agreed to call it tax relief instead of a tax cut. | 没错,但是我们同意 称呼它为税务减免而非减税 |
[06:58] | We’ll call it tax relief? | 我们要叫它税务减免? |
[07:00] | – But we won’t be talking about it. – Leo, the Patients’ Bill of Rights… | 导演:史考特・纳特 -但我们不会谈论它 -里奥,病人权利法案 |
[07:04] | Which we’ll call the Comprehensive Access and Responsibility Act. | 我们叫它全面责任法案 |
[07:08] | What’s the Comprehensive Access and Responsibility Act? | 什么是全面责任法案? |
[07:11] | It’s the Patients’ Bill of Rights, but the C.A. R.A. was introduced in 1999. | 它是病人权利法案 但C.A.R.A.在1999年问世 |
[07:15] | It’s the same thing. The Republicans will discuss changing the name back. | 那是相同的事 共和党会讨论把名字改回来 |
[07:20] | In exchange for calling tax breaks “tax relief”? | 条件是叫减税 是“税务减免”? |
[07:22] | – Or income enhancement. – I’m in a musical. | -或是增加收入 -我好像在看歌舞剧 |
[07:24] | Getting it renamed is a hell of a concession. | 改名字是一种让步 |
[07:27] | – I’m gonna check in with you, okay? – Sure. | -我会再跟你谈,好吗? -没问题 |
[07:29] | Sick people who don’t get proper medical care, because they can’t afford it… | 病人得不到适当医疗照顾的 因为他们付不出钱 |
[07:33] | …don’t care if we’ve agreed to change the bill’s name. | 他们不会在乎我们同不同意 更改法案的名字 |
[07:36] | We agreed to discuss changing it. | 我们答应考虑改名的问题 |
[07:38] | – After that? – Security briefing. | -在那之后呢? -安全简报 |
[07:40] | – After that? – Agriculture. | -在那之后呢? -农业 |
[07:41] | Who set off the smoke alarm last night? | 昨晚是谁触动了消防警铃? |
[07:43] | It sounds a lot like you’re talking about Sam, Mr. President. | 你指的人应该是山姆 总统先生 |
[07:47] | Were you inconvenienced? | 你觉很打扰到你了吗? |
[07:48] | They had me on the Truman Balcony in my underwear. | 他们要我只穿着内衣 站在杜鲁门阳台上 |
[07:51] | – Was it cold? – In January? No, why do you ask? | -很冷吗? -在一月吗?不会,你为什么要问? |
[07:54] | I’d like to talk about those rules in that memo you’re reading. | 我想谈谈你手上 那份备忘录的规定 |
[07:58] | It’s a pancake breakfast, Toby. There’s nothing that’s important. | 这是煎饼早餐会,托比 没有什么重要的事 |
[08:01] | We’re having Vermont maple syrup? | 我们要吃佛蒙特的枫糖? |
[08:03] | If you read item four, you’ll see time at this breakfast will be spent… | 如果你看到第四项,你会发现 早餐会将会花时间 |
[08:07] | …discussing calling the Patients’ Bill of Rights… | 讨论将病人权利法案 |
[08:10] | …the Comprehensive Access and Responsibility Act. | 改名为全面责任法案 |
[08:12] | I don’t care if it’s called the Monroe Doctrine. | 就算它叫门罗主义 我都不在乎 |
[08:15] | What the hell are we doing serving Vermont maple syrup? | 我们为什么 要使用佛蒙特的枫糖? |
[08:18] | On the minimum wage, in item five of the Rules for Bipartisan Breakfast… | 在最低工资方面 两党早餐会规定第五项 |
[08:22] | Guidelines. You keep calling them rules. | 是准则 你一直说它们是规定 |
[08:24] | Margaret, what does it say at the top? | 玛格丽特,上面写了什么? |
[08:27] | – ” Rules for bipartisan breakfast. ” – I keep meaning to fire you. | -“两党早餐会规定” -我一直想开除你 |
[08:31] | New Hampshire syrup is what we serve in this White House. | 白宫只能使用 新罕布夏枫糖 |
[08:34] | It’s a breakfast. We eat. We pose for pictures, do a post-game conference. | 那是早餐会,我们吃东西拍照 然后开记者会 |
[08:37] | Everybody gets out, and I don’t have to be Officer Krupke. | 通通都出去 我不想当坏人 |
[08:41] | – Anything else? – An OMB efficiency expert has said… | -还有事吗? -联邦紧急救援事务署效率专家说 |
[08:43] | …we can free up space by moving the press room across the street. | 我们可以将媒体室 移到对街增加空间 |
[08:47] | What else? | 还有呢? |
[08:49] | – Thank you. | – Thank you. -谢谢 -谢谢 |
[08:51] | Josh. | 乔西 |
[08:58] | You feeling all right? | 你还好吗? |
[09:00] | You sure? | 你确定? |
[09:02] | You don’t mind me asking? | 你不介意我那么问吧? |
[09:04] | Because I’m gonna ask you once a day, okay? | 因为我每天都会 问你一次,好吗? |
[09:06] | You just asked me four times in the last 10 seconds. | 十分钟来 你已经问了我四次 |
[09:09] | Go to Ben and Sally’s for dinner tonight. | 今晚到班跟莎丽家吃晚餐 |
[09:11] | Are you going? | 你要去吗? |
[09:14] | Was I invited? | 我被邀请了吗? |
[09:16] | Are Ben and Sally asking for me? | 班跟莎丽要我去吗? |
[09:18] | They’d rather you didn’t come… | 他们不希望你去 |
[09:20] | …but they’ll do me a favor, and I need you to do me one too. | 但他们会帮我这个忙 我也需要你帮忙 |
[09:23] | What’s at Ben and Sally’s? | 班跟莎丽家有什么? |
[09:26] | Karen Cahill. | 凯伦卡希儿 |
[09:27] | And what stupid-ass Irish thing did you say to Karen Cahill… | 你到底跟凯伦卡希儿 说了什么蠢话 |
[09:32] | …that you now need me to apologize for at Ben and Sally’s, like a little girl? | 让你现在需要我到班跟莎丽家 像个小女孩一样跟她道歉? |
[09:40] | Let me tell you what was surprising about that moment. | 让我告诉你 那时候为什么会很不可思议 |
[09:43] | I said that only 12 hours after you were very cool… | 我说在我不小心 差点把白宫烧了后的 |
[09:46] | …about my almost accidentally setting the building on fire. | 十二小时 你一直都很冷静 |
[09:51] | I made a joke about her shoes. | 我拿她的鞋子开玩笑 |
[09:55] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么? |
[09:58] | I made a remark about her shoes. | 我拿她的鞋子来开玩笑 |
[10:00] | – You’re the second most powerful man. – And she writes for The New York Times. | -你的权力仅次总统之下 -她为纽约时报写专栏 |
[10:04] | Who knows what relationship women have with shoes. | 谁知道 女人跟鞋子之间的关系 |
[10:07] | What could you possibly have said? | 你到底说了什么? |
[10:09] | It was perfectly benign to anyone who doesn’t take shoes that seriously. | 对于根本不在乎鞋子的人来说 那真的很无辜 |
[10:15] | Just tell her I love her and that I’m sorry. | 告诉我她我爱她 我很抱歉 |
[10:19] | – And I’ll take her shoe shopping. – Why don’t you tell her? | -我会带她去买鞋子 -你为什么不告诉她? |
[10:23] | If someone else tells her, it seems like I was thoughtful enough to mention it. | 如果让其他人来告诉她 她会以为我很体贴才会提起这件事 |
[10:27] | If I tell her, it makes me seem feminine. | 如果我自己告诉她 她会觉得我很娘娘腔 |
[10:29] | You don’t think the shoe shopping’s gonna take care of that? | 你该不会带她去买鞋子 就能解决问题吧? |
[10:32] | Let’s call the insurance company… | 打电话给保险公司 |
[10:34] | …and see how much water damage is in the Mural Room. | 评估一下壁划室的淹水损失 |
[10:37] | You needn’t wave a stick. | 你不必这样责备我 |
[10:38] | – I am totally there for you. – Thank you. | -我完全支持你 -谢谢 |
[10:41] | – Can I get Sam to do it? – Fine. | -我能请山姆去吗? -好吧 |
[10:42] | Anything else? | 还有事吗? |
[10:44] | This is about what they say after the meeting, so let’s decide what they’ll say. | 重点是会议结束后他们会怎么说 我们来决定他们要说什么吧 |
[10:48] | – It’ll be simple enough. – Like what? | -内容很简单 -怎么说呢? |
[10:51] | We appreciate the president’s invitation and welcome him to bipartisanship. | 我们谢谢总统的邀请 欢迎他加入两党合作 |
[10:55] | I’ll end the press conference. | 记者会由我来做结语 |
[10:56] | – You’ll welcome him to bipartisanship? – What’s wrong? | -你要欢迎他加入两党合作? -哪里不对? |
[10:59] | I think C.J. is objecting to the implication that we got there first. | 我想茜洁要抗议那么说 暗示是我们先提出两党合作 |
[11:03] | How about we all agree on a need for a renewed spirit of bipartisanship. | 那就说我们都同意我们需要 新的两党合作精神 |
[11:07] | The meeting was positive? Friendly, frank and productive? | 会议有正面的结果? 友善,愉快,并且做出了结论? |
[11:11] | Our goals can be met under the president’s leadership… | 在总统的领导下 我们可以完成目标 |
[11:14] | – No way. – What’s the problem? | -不行 -有什么问题? |
[11:15] | I think what my aide is objecting to is the implication… | 我想我助理在抗议 那暗示 |
[11:18] | …it’s the president’s leadership under which our goals will be met. | 是因为有总统的领导 我们才能完成目标 |
[11:22] | The meeting was positive, friendly, frank and productive. | 会议有正面的结果 友善,愉快,并且做出了结论 |
[11:24] | With a spicy bouquet that suggests a fine Merlot. | 气氛非常好 让我们不禁地想举杯庆祝 |
[11:27] | Press will be at the northwest entrance. If we’re done at 10:30… | 媒体会在西北入口 如果我们能在十点半谈完 |
[11:30] | …majority leader will speak, the minority leader… | 多数党领袖会发表演说 然后是少数党领袖 |
[11:33] | …then C.J. will answer questions in the briefing room. | 茜洁会在简报室回答问题 |
[11:36] | If all goes well… | 如果一切顺利 |
[11:37] | – Why in the briefing room? – It’s where I brief. | -为什么要在简报室? -那是我做简报的地方 |
[11:39] | The majority leader’s briefing first and outside. | 多数党领袖 会先在外面做简报 |
[11:42] | You’re doing it last, in back of a podium… | 你站在讲台后 最后一个做简报 |
[11:44] | …and in front of a big picture of the White House. | 站在白宫的巨大照片前 |
[11:47] | The majority leader will be in front of the White House. | 多数党领袖会站在白宫前 |
[11:50] | He’ll be on the Capitol steps. | 他会站在首都阶梯上 |
[11:52] | Traditionally, it’s in front of the White House. | 根据传统他得站在白宫前 |
[11:54] | Traditionally, the person in my job has cared what’s traditional. | 根据传统 做这份工作的人都很在乎传统 |
[11:58] | The president won’t wanna end a bipartisan breakfast… | 总统不希望 两党合作早餐会结束后 |
[12:00] | …with Republicans speaking from one place and Dem… | 共和党在一边发言 民主党 |
[12:03] | The majority leader won’t stand at a cardboard podium in your front yard… | 多数党领袖不会站在白宫前面 木板钉的讲台上 |
[12:07] | …while you stand in the White House briefing room, and with good reason. | 而你站在白宫简报室里 那是有原因的 |
[12:11] | – Which is? – They’re not on equal footing. | -什么原因? -那根本就不公平 |
[12:13] | Our bosses? I don’t think they are either. | 我们的老板们? 我不觉得他们会答应 |
[12:16] | The majority leader will brief outside. If he wants to skip breakfast… | 多数党领袖会在外面做简报 如果他不想吃早餐 |
[12:19] | …there’ll be more pancakes for us, and my press room can write about why. | 我们会有更多的煎饼可吃 我的媒体会发稿子公布原因 |
[12:24] | Well, you can’t blame a girl for trying. | 我不试试看 怎么知道结果 |
[12:28] | – You need me? – Can I borrow her for a moment? | -你找我? -我能借用她一下吗? |
[12:31] | We’ll wait. | 没问题 |
[12:42] | – These rules are crap. – The guidelines? | -这些规定烂透了 -准则吗? |
[12:47] | – We’re working with C.J. now. – I don’t care who speaks in what order. | -我们正在跟茜洁谈 -我不在乎谁先发表谈话 |
[12:50] | I’m talking about what we say when we sit down. | 我想要 坐下来跟你谈谈 |
[12:52] | – You’ve got concerns? – I do. | -你有事要跟我谈? -对 |
[12:54] | Name one. | 说来听听 |
[12:56] | The president prefers maple syrup from New Hampshire. I’m not kidding. | 总统想吃新罕布夏的枫糖 我没有开玩笑 |
[13:01] | We’d better meet on this. | 我们最好开个会谈谈 |
[13:03] | – Breakfast tomorrow? – What should I wear? | -明天一起吃早餐? -我该穿什么? |
[13:06] | – I don’t give a damn. – I’ve heard different. | -我不在乎 -我听说不是那样的 |
[13:11] | 9:45. So we got that straight. Where were we? | 九点四十五分见,把事情谈清楚 我们说到哪里了? |
[13:15] | You were giving me and my staff an ultimatum. | 你给我跟我的手下最后通牒 |
[13:22] | Did you know there’s a pool under the briefing room? | 你知道简报室下面 有个游泳池吗? |
[13:25] | – I didn’t. – There’s a swimming pool under there. | -我不知道 -它下面有个游泳池 |
[13:28] | And according to the OMB efficiency auditor… | 根据 联邦紧急救援事务署效率专家 |
[13:31] | …more people work in the West Wing than in any point in history. | 在西厢工作的人 是有史以来最多的 |
[13:34] | You wanna free up space by kicking out the press corps and putting in a pool? | 你想把媒体踢出去 挪出空间来盖游泳池? |
[13:38] | I realize there are some flaws in my logic. | 我知道我的理论 有些瑕疵 |
[13:40] | – Leo needs a favor. – What? | -里奥要你帮忙 -什么? |
[13:41] | Go to Ben and Sally’s and apologize to Karen Cahill… | 到班跟莎丽家 跟凯伦卡希儿道歉 |
[13:44] | – … for making fun of her shoes. – I didn’t. | -因为你笑她的鞋子 -我没有笑她 |
[13:47] | – He did. – I have no problems with them. | -是他干的 -我不觉得鞋子有什么不对 |
[13:48] | – Leo did. – What was his problem? | -里奥那么认为 -他有什么问题? |
[13:50] | – Do what you usually do. – Here’s the thing. | -照你平常的方法去做 -事情是这样的 |
[13:52] | – What? – I don’t do well with Karen. | -什么? -我跟凯伦处不好 |
[13:54] | – Why? – I get nervous. | -为什么? -我会紧张 |
[13:56] | – What happens? – I become unimpressive. | -发生了什么事? -我会变得很笨拙 |
[13:58] | – In what way? – In many ways. | -在哪方面? -在许多方面 |
[14:01] | You don’t fall down, do you? | 你没有跌倒吧? |
[14:02] | – When? – With Karen. | -什么时候? -跟凯伦在一起的时候 |
[14:04] | – Once. – You’ll be fine. | -我跌倒过一次 -你会没事的 |
[14:05] | – You think? – You’ll be impressive. | -你真的那么想? -你会令人惊艳 |
[14:07] | I wasn’t before. That doesn’t mean I won’t do it. | 我以前做不到 不代表我永远做不到 |
[14:10] | – Right. – You know why? | -对 -你知道为什么吗? |
[14:11] | – Doesn’t matter. – Perseverance. | -那不重要 -不屈不扰 |
[14:13] | You get back on the horse. | 你得再度出发 |
[14:14] | I’ll sit there and she’ll say, “Sam Seaborn’s impressive. | 我会坐在那里,她会说 “山姆希朋令人耳目一新 |
[14:17] | – I’ll say nice things about him. ” – Reach for the stars. | -我要说些他的好话” -努力去做吧 |
[14:20] | – I will. – Good. | -我会的 -很好 |
[14:26] | I’m having breakfast with Ann Stark tomorrow. | 明天我要跟安史塔克吃早餐 |
[14:29] | – Leave it alone. – We should discuss the minimum wage… | -算了吧 -我们应该讨论最低工资 |
[14:32] | It’s a new year! | 这是新年度 |
[14:33] | – Let’s not faff around! – It’s breakfast. | -别浪费时间了 -那只是一顿早餐 |
[14:35] | I know it’s breakfast. We’re not gonna come up with solutions in 90 minutes. | 我知道那是一顿早餐 我们不会在九十分钟内做出结论 |
[14:39] | But we have the principals in a room and no cameras. | 但大头们都坐在一个房间 四周没有摄影机 |
[14:42] | The leaders of the land. | 他们都是美国的领袖 |
[14:44] | Not to talk about how we’ll approach minimum wage, Patients’ Bill of Rights… | 不谈在未来的会期内 如何提高最低工资,病人权利法案 |
[14:48] | …tax relief and education in the session that’s about to begin… | 税务减免跟教育问题 |
[14:52] | …is a criminally negligent and cowardly refusal to do what we were… | 是明显的疏忽 也是懦弱地逃避 |
[14:58] | …all sent here to do. | 我们来到这里所肩负的责任 |
[15:04] | This is what my ex-wife and I did for years. | 多年来我前妻跟我 都是那么做的 |
[15:09] | We had these rules. | 我们有很多规定 |
[15:10] | We could talk about anything but why we couldn’t live with each other. | 我们可以谈论一切 但为什么我们无法共同生活 |
[15:15] | I could have been two years younger right now. | 我觉得自己老了两岁 |
[15:22] | There was a freshman Democrat who came to Congress 50 years ago. | 五十年前 有个菜鸟民主党员进入国会 |
[15:28] | He turned to a senior Democrat and said: | 他跟一位资深民主党员说: |
[15:30] | “Where are the Republicans? I want to meet the enemy. “ | “共和党员在哪里? 我想跟敌人见面” |
[15:33] | The senior Democrat said, “The Republicans aren’t the enemy. | 资深民主党员说: “共和党不是敌人 |
[15:36] | They’re the opposition. The Senate’s the enemy. “ | 他们是对手 参议院才是敌人” |
[15:41] | Those days are over. | 那样的时光结束了 |
[15:44] | In this climate… | 在这种情况下 |
[15:45] | This climate is when real debate is what bipartisanship should look like. | 现在两党应该好好的辩论一下 |
[15:49] | This woman’s had this job two weeks. | 这个女人两星期前才走马上任 |
[15:51] | I don’t like dealing with people who are trying to impress me. | 我不喜欢应付 故意要讨好我的人 |
[15:57] | I know her a little. | 我有点了解她 |
[16:02] | Have breakfast with her. | 跟她一起吃早餐 |
[16:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[16:08] | Jenny and I wouldn’t talk about it either. | 珍妮跟我 也不会谈那些事 |
[16:12] | – You know why? – Why? | -你知道为什么吗? -为什么? |
[16:15] | Because we loved each other, and it was awful. | 因为我们爱着彼此 那太可怕了 |
[16:20] | And we knew it was never gonna change. | 我们知道 一切都不会改变 |
[16:23] | Ever. | 永远都不会 <星期二> |
[16:43] | I wanna talk about minimum wage and Patients’ Bill of Rights. | 我要谈最低工资 跟病人权利法案 |
[16:46] | You’re talking about the Comprehensive Access and Responsibility Act there. | 你要谈全面责任法案 |
[16:51] | – All right, yeah. – I brought you a present. | -好吧,对 -我帮你买了一份礼物 |
[16:54] | – What is it? – Guess. | -它是什么? -你猜 |
[16:56] | – Really? – Sure. | -真的吗? -当然 |
[16:58] | – Why? – I would think it’d be fun. | -为什么? -我觉得这么做很有趣 |
[17:01] | – You don’t think it’d be a waste of time? – You’ve lost your sense of humor. | -你不觉得那是浪费时间? -你失去了你的幽默感 |
[17:06] | It’s a bottle of New Hampshire maple syrup. | 是一瓶新罕布夏枫糖 |
[17:09] | It’s a can of New Hampshire maple syrup… | 是一罐新罕布夏枫糖 |
[17:11] | …and you just ruined what I think could’ve been a nice moment. | 你刚刚毁了我以为 会很美好的一刻 |
[17:20] | – Ann… – Tax breaks are tax relief now. | -安 -现在减税变成了税务减免 |
[17:23] | And we’re changing South Carolina to Italy. | 我们要把南卡罗莱纳改成意大利 |
[17:26] | – The minimum wage. – You cannot muster a thank you? | -最低工资 -你不能说谢谢你吗? |
[17:30] | For the syrup? | 为了枫糖? |
[17:31] | – Thank you. – You’re welcome. | 为了枫糖? -谢谢你 -别客气 |
[17:35] | – And congratulations. – Thank you. | -恭喜你 -谢谢 |
[17:38] | You are the chief of staff to the most powerful Republican in the country. | 你是全国最有权力的 共和党员的幕僚长 |
[17:42] | – Obviously, a great deal of confidence… – Where’s my present? | -很明显地你十分相信 -我的礼物在哪里? |
[17:46] | For being promoted? | 你的升官礼物? |
[17:51] | – I don’t have one. – Give me my syrup back. | -我没有准备 -把我的枫糖还给我 |
[17:54] | Are you ready to order? | 你们可以点餐了吗? |
[17:55] | He’s gonna need syrup. I have syrup here, but he doesn’t have any. | 你们可以点餐了吗? 他要枫糖,我有枫糖 但他没有 |
[18:01] | Scrambled eggs, wheat toast and coffee, please. | 炒蛋,全麦土司 跟咖啡,谢谢 |
[18:04] | Did the president say the stats were more staggering in Washington, D. C.? | 总统说华盛顿特区的数字 会更高吗? |
[18:09] | – Would you remind me to clarify that? – Why? | -提醒我去问一下 -为什么? |
[18:11] | He was in Louisville, Kentucky, when he said it. | 他人在肯塔基的 路易维尔时那么说的 |
[18:16] | – You got my note? – Moving the press room to the OEOB? | -你收到我的字条了吗? -将媒体室移到旧行政办公大楼? |
[18:19] | – I did. – And? | -我收到了 -所以呢? |
[18:21] | Don’t let anyone know you wrote it and don’t ever mention it again. | -我收到了 -所以呢? 别让任何人知道你写过它 以后别再提这件事 |
[18:25] | – Moving the press room? – See? You mentioned it. | -搬移媒体室? -看吧?你又提了 |
[18:27] | – You did it again. – I didn’t. | -你又来了 -我没有 |
[18:29] | – You were about to. – The OEOB is across the street. | -你又来了 -我没有 -你正打算那么做 -旧行政办公大楼就在对街 |
[18:31] | We’re not getting a pool. | 我们不需要游泳池 |
[18:33] | I know we’re not getting a pool, but we can get needed office space. | 我们不需要游泳池 我知道我们不需要游泳池 但我们需要办公空间 |
[18:36] | We can put distance between the press and the president… | 我们可以拉开 媒体跟总统的距离 |
[18:40] | …and put them across the street in a state-of-the-art facility. | 将他们安排到 对街设备先进的大楼里 |
[18:43] | – By “state-of-the-art” you mean…? – A room with electricity. | -你对“设备先进”的定义是 -有电力的房间 |
[18:46] | The press doesn’t want distance from the president. | 媒体不希望 跟总统拉开距离 |
[18:49] | And Americans don’t want the president to have distance from the press. | 美国人民不希望 总统跟媒体拉开距离 |
[18:53] | We can’t exile the press. | 我们不能放逐媒体 |
[18:54] | The room is 100 yards from where we’re standing. | 我们不能放逐媒体 那个房离这里 只有一百码 |
[18:56] | It sends a signal we’re trying to hide things. | 那暗示 我们想要隐瞒事情 |
[18:59] | We are, but I don’t think we’ll be better at it if they’re across the street. | 我们是很想,但我不认为 他们搬到对街,我们就更能隐瞒事情 |
[19:03] | – I’ll get more information. – I don’t need it. | -我需要更多的资料 -我不需要 |
[19:05] | – So you can ruminate. – I don’t need to. | -你可以再考虑一下 -我不需要 |
[19:07] | Excellent. Josh. | 做的好,乔西 |
[19:09] | – How’d it go? – Hang on. | 做的好,乔西 -情况如何? -等一下 |
[19:10] | – What do you need? – Did the monthly DNC go out yet? | -情况如何? -等一下 -有什么事吗? -民主党全国委员会月刊出来了吗? |
[19:12] | – It’s going out now. – Is there time to add a question? | -都弄好了 -还可以加一个问题进去吗? |
[19:15] | Donna, get me the polling center at Global Strategies Group. | 唐娜,帮我联络全球战略组织的 民调中心 |
[19:20] | What’s the question? | 有什么问题? |
[19:21] | C.J. thinks if we move the press out of the West Wing, Americans will object. | 茜洁认为如果将媒体踢出西厢 美国人民会很反对 |
[19:25] | – She’s crazy. – So I want to show her numbers. | -她疯了 -我想拿数字来说服她 |
[19:28] | Mike at Global Strategies. | 全球战略中心的麦克 |
[19:31] | I wanna tack on a question, okay? | 我想加一个问题,好吗? |
[19:33] | Would you object to…? Would you have…? | 你反对? 你会不会? |
[19:36] | Yes or no. Would you have an objection if…? | 回答是或不是 你会不会反对? |
[19:39] | What should the question be? | 问题是什么? |
[19:41] | If the White House moved the press to Trenton, would you give a flying…? | 如果白宫将媒体室移到特伦顿市 你会不会反? |
[19:44] | Would you object to the White House moving the press room… | 你会反对白宫将媒体 |
[19:47] | …out of the West Wing and across the street? | 从西厢移到对街吗? |
[19:50] | Read it back. | 念一次给我听 |
[19:52] | – How’d it go? – It went great. | -怎么样? -非常顺利 |
[19:54] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[19:56] | – I had to talk to Karen Cahill last night. – Did you fall down? | -昨晚我得跟凯伦卡希儿说话 -你跌倒了吗? |
[19:59] | I did not. | 没有 |
[20:00] | We were talking about the stability of former Soviet republics… | 没有 我们谈到前苏联 共和国的稳定性 |
[20:04] | …and their fear of Islamic extremism. | 跟他们对 回教极端主义的恐惧 |
[20:06] | And I have to say, that I made some very scholarly points… | 我得说 我发表一些相当专业的观点 |
[20:09] | …regarding the remaining nuclear weapons in Kirghizstan… | 评论吉尔斯斯坦残余的核武 |
[20:12] | Kazakhstan. | 是哈萨克斯坦 |
[20:15] | The nuclear weapons are in Kazakhstan. | 哈萨克斯坦才有核武 |
[20:18] | I said Kirghizstan? | 我说吉尔斯斯坦吗? |
[20:20] | Well, Kirghizstan has no nuclear weapons. | 吉尔斯斯坦没有核武 |
[20:24] | Kazakhstan’s a country four times the size of Texas… | 哈萨克斯坦是个面积 有四个德州大的国家 |
[20:27] | …and has a sizable number of former Russian missile silos. | 境内有数量可观的 前苏联飞弹发射台 |
[20:30] | Kirghizstan’s on the side of a hill near China and has mostly nomads and sheep. | 吉尔斯斯坦位于临近中国的山丘 境内大部份是游牧民族跟羊 |
[20:35] | I’m sure you got it right last night. | 我相信昨晚你说对了 |
[20:38] | Yes. | 对 |
[20:39] | I’m sure. | 对 我确定 |
[20:41] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[20:43] | It’s a photo op, Toby. Let them talk about the Redskins and their kids. | 这是拍照行程,托比 让他们谈红人队跟他们的孩子 |
[20:47] | And why not talk about the minimum wage? | 为什么不谈最低工资呢? |
[20:49] | Because you’ll say you want it raised $2 in 50¢ increments… | 因为你说你们想在 两年内 |
[20:52] | …over two years, and we’ll say three years. | 增加两块五角 我们决定将时间拉长为三年 |
[20:55] | Ann, do you know what a full-time worker… | 安,你知道 时间五块一角五的 |
[20:58] | …employed at $5. 15 an hour makes in a year? | 全职工人 一年可以赚多少钱吗? |
[21:02] | $10,712. | 一万零七百一十二块 |
[21:05] | Which is $2600 below the poverty line. Why have a minimum wage? | 那比贫穷线还少了两千六百块 为什么要设最低工资? |
[21:09] | – Now you’re talking. – Ann, I… | -你很清楚 -安,我 |
[21:10] | You think raising the minimum wage will put a dent in the poverty rate? | 你以为提高最低工资 可以降低贫穷比例吗? |
[21:14] | I’m saying it could keep up with inflation. | 我说那会提高通货膨胀 |
[21:17] | The last 30 years, the purchasing power of the minimum wage is down 30%. | 三十年来最低工资的购买力 下降了百分之三十 |
[21:21] | You know how much the stock market is up? | 你知道股市上涨了多少吗? |
[21:23] | A hundred and fifteen percent. Small businesses will fold or produce less… | 百分之一百一十五 小型企业倒闭或缩小规模 |
[21:28] | …because they can’t afford to pay a federally mandated wage. | 因为他们负担不起 联邦规定薪资 |
[21:31] | The unemployed will, in turn, face higher prices while receiving no wage. | 失业的人反而得面对 在没收入的情况下物价上涨的压力 |
[21:36] | Let’s talk about it at breakfast. | 我们在早餐时来讨论一下吧 |
[21:38] | – Why? – Twenty senators will call and say: | -为什么? -会有二十位参议员打电话来问: |
[21:41] | “Why are you starting the ball rolling without us? “ | “为什么你们不理我们 开始谈了起来?” |
[21:44] | They will say, “Why are you rolling the ball at all? “ | 他们会说: “你们为何要那么做?” |
[21:47] | You’ll sandbag the thing in committee. | 你会强迫委员会讨论的 |
[21:49] | You’ve shown us your whole hand. You’re playing a game, and not well. | 你们已经把手上的牌都拿出来了 你们在玩游戏,但你们输定了 |
[21:52] | I just got here. | 我刚刚走马上任 |
[21:54] | – Your predecessor didn’t play it well. – That’s why they gave me her job. | 我刚刚走马上任 -在你之前那个人也输了 -所以我才能接下她的工作 |
[21:58] | Ann, we’re not gonna get screwed around on the wage hike. | 安,在提高工资的议题上 我们不会输的 |
[22:03] | – We have the votes, and you know it. – Having the votes doesn’t matter… | -我们手上有票,你知道的 -有票并不重要 |
[22:07] | …if the leader decides there isn’t gonna be a vote. | 议长可以决定 要不要举行投票 |
[22:11] | There is gonna be a vote, and if there isn’t… | 一定会有投票 如果没有的话 |
[22:13] | …we’ll offer the wage hike as an amendment on everything that moves. | 我们会在会期一开始 提修正案来提高工资 |
[22:18] | Say that again. | 你再说一次 |
[22:19] | You heard me the first time. | 你第一次就听得很清楚了 |
[22:22] | Do you not remember I’m the same person who bought you a can of syrup? | 你不记得 我就是送你枫糖的人吗? |
[22:29] | What have I done to make you think I’m scared of you? | 我做了什么 让你觉得我会怕你呢? |
[22:34] | – The Patients’ Bill of Rights. – We can talk about it? | -病人权利法案 -我们能谈吗? |
[22:37] | We can spend 15 minutes on dropping the litigation shield. | 我们可以花十五分钟 提出立法限制 |
[22:40] | – In exchange for what? – Some flowers. | -条件是什么? -我要一些花 |
[22:43] | – In exchange for what? – The spirit of bipartisanship. | -条件是什么? -两党合作的精神 |
[22:46] | In exchange for what? | 条件是什么? |
[22:48] | I want the press conference at the Hill. | 我要国会山庄举行记者会 |
[22:50] | Our guys are tired of looking like the president’s stupid cousin. | 我们厌倦了 被当成总统的笨表弟 |
[22:57] | That’s all? You want the press conference on the Hill? | 就那样? 你要在白宫举行记者会? |
[23:02] | Done. | 没问题 |
[23:04] | C.J. Cregg says no. | 茜洁葛瑞说不行 |
[23:05] | C.J. works for me. | 茜洁为我工作 |
[23:10] | – Thank you for breakfast. – You’re welcome. | -谢谢你的早餐 -别客气 |
[23:20] | – Charlie. – Yes, sir. | -查理 -是的,长官 |
[23:22] | – Who’s the next meeting? – Kim Woo of Singapore. | -下一个访客是谁? -新加坡的吴金 |
[23:25] | – You want the cheat sheet? – I don’t need a cheat sheet. Kim Woo: | -你要小抄吗? -我不需要小抄,吴金 |
[23:28] | He won a bronze medal for fencing. He’s a Buddhist. | 他赢得西洋剑铜牌 他是佛教徒 |
[23:30] | And he enjoys European history. You see, even though it’s a handshake… | 他喜欢欧洲历史 即使只是握个手 |
[23:34] | …I make him feel like a friend, and that’s what they call people skills. | 我可以让他觉得他是我的朋友 那就是大家所说的个人魅力 |
[23:39] | Kim Woo’s a woman, sir. | 吴金是女的,长官 |
[23:40] | He’s an Olympic athlete. Don’t say that to his face. | 他是奥运选手 别当他的面那么说 |
[23:43] | – Sir. – What else? | -长官 -还有什么事? |
[23:44] | Sam jotted down some remarks for your toast at the breakfast tomorrow. | -长官 -还有什么事? 山姆为明天早餐会 你要举杯致词时写了稿子 |
[23:49] | ” Ladies and gentlemen. ” That’s funny. | “各位先生女士” 那真是有趣 |
[23:53] | – That’s funny. She’s a woman? – Yes, sir. | -那很有趣,她是女的? -是的,长官 |
[23:56] | – Did you mark that down? – Yes, sir. | -你把那个记下来了吗? -是的,长官 |
[23:58] | “We spend so much time demonizing the other side… | “长久以来 我们视在野党如魔鬼 |
[24:01] | …treating our opponents like threatening strangers… | 把我们的对手 当成有威胁性的陌生人 |
[24:04] | …with whom we share nothing in common… | 认为他们 跟我们没有共同点 |
[24:06] | …that we’ve lost sight, perhaps, of the greater truths. “ | 我们失去了远见 或许也无法了解真相” |
[24:09] | Did you know it’s bad luck to toast with water? | 你知道以开水干杯 会带来恶运吗? |
[24:11] | – I didn’t. – Yeah, don’t toast with water. | -我不知道 -对,别用开水干杯 |
[24:13] | – Should we go, sir? – It’s from Greek mythology. | -我们该走了吗?长官 -它起源于希腊神话 |
[24:17] | – You lose your spirit. – To what? | -你失去了你的精神 -为了什么? |
[24:20] | To what do you lose your spirit? | 你为了什么让你失去了你的精神? |
[24:22] | That’s a good question. I could tell you, but it’s better if you look it up. | 那是个好问题,我可以告诉你 但你最好自己去找 |
[24:26] | I’ll hit the library as soon as I get off work tonight at 1 a.m. | 我今晚凌晨一点下班后 会马上赶到图书馆去 |
[24:30] | “That we’ve lost sight, perhaps, of the greater truths. | “我们失去了远见 或许也无法了解真相 |
[24:33] | There is a lot more that unites Americans than divides them. “ | 美国人需要团结 而不是分裂” |
[24:37] | That’s good. | 说的好 |
[24:38] | “There’s a lot more that unites Americans than divides them. “ | “美国人需要团结 而不是分裂” |
[24:42] | – Remind me to tell Sam that’s good. – Yes, sir. | -提醒我告诉山姆他写得很好 -是的,长官 |
[24:44] | And remind me not to toast with water. | 提醒我别用开水干杯 |
[24:46] | – Yes, sir. – Let’s go. | -是的,长官 -我们走吧 |
[24:56] | I said the wrong one. | 我说错了 |
[24:57] | – Maybe not. – I’m fairly certain. | 我说错了 -或许没有 -我非常确定 |
[24:59] | – You had a 50-50 chance. – It was Karen Cahill. | -机会是一半一半 -她是凯伦卡希儿 |
[25:02] | I’m sure I said the wrong one. | 我相信我说错了 |
[25:04] | Why do you guys get worked up over Karen Cahill? | 你们为什么 那么怕凯伦卡希儿? |
[25:07] | – She’s very influential. – So are you. | -她非常有影响力 -你也一样 |
[25:09] | – She’s a columnist. – You talk to lots of columnists. | -她是专栏作家 -你跟很多专栏作家说话 |
[25:12] | – She has special powers. – You think? | -她有特殊的力量 -你真的那么想? |
[25:14] | – Maybe you didn’t get it wrong. – I got it wrong. | -或许你没有说错 -我说错了 |
[25:16] | – Maybe there are nuclear weapons there. – There are barely pots and pans there. | -或许那里有核武 -那里连锅子跟茶壶都很少 |
[25:20] | – You think The Times will tease you? – I do. | -你觉得纽约时报会揶揄你? -我相信 |
[25:22] | You gotta be used to that by now. | 你得习惯那样 |
[25:24] | – Yeah, here’s what we’ll do. – We’re gonna do something? | -对,我们得这么做 -我们要做任何事吗? |
[25:27] | – You talk to her. – I don’t know her. | -你去跟她谈 -我不认识她 |
[25:29] | – You met her. – We’ve been introduced. | -我见过她 -我们打过招呼 |
[25:31] | – You said you two made a connection. – That’s true. | -你说你们两个想法相通 -没错 |
[25:33] | – Here’s what you do. – I connect with people. | -你得这么做 -我跟大家都想法相通 |
[25:36] | You’re going to the South Street exhibit? | 你要去参加南街展览吗? |
[25:38] | – How did you know? – You told me. She’s going. | -你怎么知道? -你跟我说的,她也会去 |
[25:40] | – How do you know? – She told me. | -你怎么知道? -她告诉我的 |
[25:42] | – A lot of reconnaissance went into this. – You’re gonna go up to her: | -你花了不少时间做调查 -你得跟她说 |
[25:46] | “Hi, I’m Donna Moss. I’m Josh Lyman’s assistant. “ | “嗨,我是唐娜摩斯 我是乔西赖曼的助理” |
[25:49] | You had to come up to her. She’d get a kick out of this. | 你得去找她 她一定会喜欢的 |
[25:52] | Sam Seaborn’s being so cute. | 山姆希朋非常可爱 |
[25:54] | He thinks he may have said Kirghizstan… | 他认为他可能 把哈萨克斯坦 |
[25:56] | …when he meant Kazakhstan. | 说成吉尔斯斯坦 |
[25:57] | “Sam Seaborn’s being so cute”? | “山姆希朋非常可爱”? |
[25:59] | – It would kill you? – No. | -那会要你的命吗? -不会 |
[26:01] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[26:09] | Listen, I just had breakfast with Ann Stark. | 听着 我刚刚跟安史塔克吃过早餐 |
[26:12] | – Minimum wage? – No. | -最低工资? -不 |
[26:14] | – It’s for the best. – Why? | -那是最好的 -为什么? |
[26:16] | – There will be a fight. – Yes. | -我们一定会吵起来 -对 |
[26:17] | – Toby. – There should be a fight. | -托比 -我们应该吵起来 |
[26:19] | We disagree on something important. | 我们对重要的议题有歧见 |
[26:21] | Which means there should be a compromise. | 那表示 我们应该各自做出妥协 |
[26:23] | – It won’t happen posing for a picture. – It won’t happen eating pancakes either. | -光拍照是无法做到的 -只吃煎饼也无法那么做 |
[26:27] | Let them tell dirty jokes for 90 minutes, shake hands and start the year. | 让他们说九十分钟的冷笑话 握手,展开新的一年 |
[26:31] | Not when it’s the taxpayers’ pancakes. | 纳税人付煎饼的钱 |
[26:33] | Taxpayers will be happy the Democrats are trying to tighten their belts. | 纳税人会很高兴地知道 民主党试图勒紧他们的裤带 |
[26:38] | They’ll put a provision of the Patient’s Bill for discussion. | 他们愿意准备讨论 病人权利法案 |
[26:41] | That’s something you can disagree on. | 那是我们会有歧见的地方 |
[26:43] | – Fifteen minutes. – You can shout a lot in 15 minutes. | -十五分钟 -十五分钟就能吵得很凶 |
[26:47] | In exchange, she wants the press conference on the Hill. | 条件是 她要在国会山庄开记者会 |
[26:50] | She wants the whole thing on the Hill? | 她要整个移师到国会山庄去? |
[26:52] | – Yeah, listen… – I said no to the split conference. | -对,听我说 -我拒绝打散整个早餐会的过程 |
[26:55] | – What makes her think I’ll put…? – Because I’m asking you to. | -她为什么觉得我会 -因为我要求你那么做 |
[26:59] | What? | 什么? |
[27:01] | – That’s what they get in exchange… – You kidding? | -那就是他们的条件 -你在开玩笑吗? |
[27:03] | – Look… – Are you kidding me? | -听着 -你在跟我开玩笑吗? |
[27:05] | – Who cares where the…? – I don’t even know where to start! | -谁在乎要在哪里 -我甚至不知道该从哪里开始说 |
[27:08] | – C.J…. – But first of all… | -茜洁 -但是首先 |
[27:09] | …if they need a response, I need 20 minutes with staff. | 如果他们需要回应 我得跟大家开二十分钟的话 |
[27:13] | I can’t huddle in front of the White House and congressional press corps. | 我没办法跟一群群的 国会记者们站在白宫前面 |
[27:16] | There won’t be a surprise. | 那不是什么大新闻 |
[27:17] | You’ve decided what to say, which is not much of anything. | 你决定了该说什么 那真的没有什么 |
[27:21] | We don’t speak for the president at the Capitol. | 我们不在国会为总统发表演说 |
[27:23] | We don’t need their microphone. | 我们不需要他们的麦克风 |
[27:25] | It makes us look like less than what we are. In fact, it makes us look small. | 它让我们看起来很卑微 事实上它让我们看起来卑微到了极点 |
[27:29] | We call tax breaks “tax reliefs”… | 我们说减税是“税务减免” |
[27:30] | …refuse to discuss raising the salary of those living in poverty… | 拒绝讨论为穷人们 提高薪水 |
[27:34] | …arguing about seating… | 为座位争论 |
[27:36] | …and you think that’ll make us look small? | 你觉得那会 让我们看起来很卑微? |
[27:38] | We’re talking about the no-litigation clause for 15 minutes. | 我们要拨十五分钟 谈论不具法律效力的条文 |
[27:41] | I don’t care if the damn press conference is outside the Rotary Club. | 我不在乎记者会 是不是在扶轮社外面举行 |
[27:51] | It shouldn’t be me, then. It should be Henry. | 那么那不该由我出面 让亨利去吧 |
[27:54] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[27:56] | It should be the deputy. | 应该派副手过去 |
[27:59] | – I’ll tell Ann it’s not gonna be you. – I think this is a bad idea. | -我会告诉安你不会过去 -我觉得那是个烂点子 |
[28:02] | First visual is that Congress is the seat of power and the president’s irrelevant. | 大家会觉得国会大权在握 总统什么事都做不了 |
[28:06] | Not only that, but you just took my legs out from under me with Ann. | 不只那样 你那么做是要我屈居于安之下 |
[28:11] | Are you ordering me to move it to the Hill? | 你命令我把记者会 移到国会山庄? |
[28:14] | – I don’t like doing that. – You’re gonna have to. | -我不喜欢那么做 -你非那么做不可 |
[28:21] | Do it. | 做吧 <星期三> |
[28:33] | – It’s about to start. – C.J. | -就要开始了 -茜洁 |
[28:35] | Steve, you should be on the Hill. | 史提夫,你应该在国会山庄 |
[28:37] | I’m gonna watch it on TV. | 我会看电视 |
[28:38] | Are you thinking about moving the press room across the street? | 我会看电视 你想把媒体室移到对街吗? |
[28:42] | – No. – I heard you were discussing it. | -不 -我听说你们在讨论这件事 |
[28:44] | – From who? – Chris. | -谁说的? -克莉丝 |
[28:45] | It’s starting. | -谁说的? -克莉丝 开始了 |
[28:46] | – She was sure you were discussing it. – Why? | 开始了 -她相信你们讨论过 -为什么? |
[28:49] | She got called by a pollster, who asked her how she felt… | 她接到民调电话问她 |
[28:51] | She got called by a pollster? | 她接到民调电话? |
[28:53] | – She herself got called? – It’s starting. | -她真的接到电话? -开始了 |
[28:56] | – Anyway… – Let me get into it. | -总之 -让我来处理吧 |
[28:58] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[29:00] | Good morning. We’re joined today with Congressman Dade… | 早安,今天的来宾是 国会议员戴德 |
[29:04] | …Congressman Shallick, Senator Hammond and then Senator Ford. | 国会议员夏利克 参议员哈蒙德跟参议员福特 |
[29:07] | Unfortunately, the majority leader has a sore throat and is unable to join us. | 不幸的是多数党领袖喉咙痛 无法共襄盛举 |
[29:11] | He’s gone back to his office. | 他已经回到办公室去 |
[29:13] | We concluded a frank and productive meeting… | 我们达成了结论 会议气氛愉快 |
[29:16] | – When did he get a sore throat? – I don’t… | -他什么时候喉咙痛? -我不 |
[29:18] | She took the majority leader off the board. | 她没有让多数党领袖 参加记者会 |
[29:22] | …bipartisanship, as we face the coming legislative session. | 两党合作 接下来立法会期即将开议 |
[29:26] | We’ll answer questions for a few moments this morning. Yes. | 今天早上 我们会回答问题,是的 |
[29:29] | Was the Patients’ Bill of Rights discussed? | 病人权利法案 有被拿出来讨论吗? |
[29:32] | The Comprehensive Access and Responsibility Act, it was discussed… | 全面责任法案 得到了讨论 |
[29:36] | – … though I hesitate to comment… – She took him off the board. | -虽然我不愿意说 -她没有让他参加记者会 |
[29:40] | Was it a balance thing? No, she didn’t want balance. | 那是为了平衡吗? 不,她不要平衡 |
[29:43] | – She wanted power. – Maybe… | -她要权力 -或许 |
[29:44] | Why did she take her boss off the board? | 她为什么不让她老板 参加记者会? |
[29:46] | We discussed the litigation clause, but I don’t wanna get into the specifics. | 我们讨论了立法条约 但我无法详细说明 |
[29:51] | – We’re about to get hit. – What about the minimum wage hike? | -我们就要被攻击了 -提高最低工资呢? |
[29:53] | The wage hike was not discussed. | 提高工资问题并没有被讨论 |
[29:55] | Well, are you considering a $2 increase over two years? | 你们考虑在两年内 增加两块吗? |
[29:59] | We want the same thing over three years. | 我们希望将时间 拉长为三年 |
[30:01] | Certainly the leader’s position’s… | 就领袖的角度来说 |
[30:03] | Call on Simon. | 让西蒙问话 |
[30:04] | We didn’t discuss it. Craig? | 让西蒙问话 我们没有讨论它 |
[30:06] | Call on Simon. | 让西蒙问话 |
[30:07] | Is it fair to say it’s the majority leader holding this up and not the majority? | 让西蒙问话 搁置此案的是多数党领袖 而不是多数党吗? |
[30:11] | I don’t think it’s fair to say either. In the back. Simon. | 我想那么说并不公平 在后面,西蒙 |
[30:14] | Congressman, I’m quoting a senior White House aide… | 国会议员先生 我引述一位资深白宫助理的话 |
[30:17] | …who says they have the votes. | 他说他们掌握了铁票 |
[30:19] | The aide said unless they get a straight up or down vote from the leader… | 该助理还说 多数党要不要举行投票都无所谓 |
[30:23] | This is the quote, “We’ll attach it as an amendment to everything that moves. “ | 这是他说的话“我们会在会期一开始 提修正案来提高工资” |
[30:28] | – Could you say that again? – The senior aide said… | -你能再说一次吗? -资深助理说 |
[30:30] | I don’t wanna comment on this. | 我不予置评 |
[30:32] | I think I’d like to get back to the breakfast meeting and then for… | 我想我得回去进行早餐会 然后 |
[30:36] | Excuse me, but I’m sorry. | 抱歉,对不起 |
[30:38] | My friend from Michigan is too polite to comment on this. | 我来自密西根的朋友 太有礼貌,不愿发表评论 |
[30:41] | I’m not burdened by any such sense of etiquette. | 我就不受这样的礼节束缚了 |
[30:45] | – Congressman. – This is disgraceful. | -国会议员 -这太卑鄙了 |
[30:47] | The record should show a spitball contest was begun behind our backs… | 根据记录显示 他们在我们背后搞鬼 |
[30:52] | …through the press… | 媒体也知道那一点 |
[30:54] | …and before the 107th Congress was even gaveled into session. | 早在107会期 开议前他们就那么做了 |
[30:58] | You want some quotes? Open your note pads. | 你们想听内幕消息吗? 打开你们的记事本 |
[31:01] | It’s Toby. | 是托比 |
[31:03] | It is sadly not atypical of this White House to make a public show… | 是托比 我们很遗憾 白宫无法正式地 |
[31:07] | – I’m the senior aide. – No kidding. Get me Henry. | -我就是那个资深助理 -别开玩笑,帮我找亨利 |
[31:10] | We came here in an honest effort… | 我们来到这里努力地 |
[31:13] | Henry. | 亨利 |
[31:15] | I’ve got Henry. What do you want? | 我找到亨利了,你要说什么? |
[31:20] | If the White House says one thing to our face… | 如果白宫 在我们面前说一套 |
[31:22] | …and another to us through the media… | 经由媒体说出另一套 |
[31:25] | …if the White House ambushes us with ultimatums in the press… | 如果白宫以媒体优势 来突袭我们 |
[31:29] | What do you want me to do, Toby? | 你要我怎么做?托比 |
[31:33] | Don’t let him take the podium. | 别让他抢走了风采 |
[31:35] | He’ll take questions in the briefing room in 20 minutes. | 二十分钟后 他会在简报室回答问题 |
[31:40] | Henry, get home. | 亨利,快回来 |
[31:42] | Congressman, one last question! | 国会议员,最后一个问题 |
[31:44] | Does the White House really have the vote? | 白宫真的握有铁票吗? |
[31:51] | What the hell happened? | 到底发生了什么事? |
[31:53] | That was me. | 是我干的 |
[31:56] | I gave Ann Stark the quote, and she fed it to a reporter. | 我把消息透露给安史塔克 她告诉了记者 |
[31:59] | – Why’d you give her the quote? – It wasn’t a quote. | -你为什么要告诉她? -我根本没有想到她会这么说 |
[32:01] | – What was it? – I told her we had the votes… | -你说了什么? -我只是说我们握有铁票 |
[32:03] | She knows we have the votes. | 她知道我们握有铁票 |
[32:05] | She was promoted to chief of staff for the Senate majority leader. | 她升官担任 参议院多数党领袖的幕僚长 |
[32:07] | You don’t think she knows we have the votes? | 你以为她不知道 我们握有铁票? |
[32:12] | I misunderstood our relationship. | 我误解了我们的关系 |
[32:14] | Now it looks like we went to the press and went for his knees. | 现在看起来是我们跟记者串通 在他背后搞鬼 |
[32:17] | Excuse me, but Toby’s not the one who gave it to the press. | 对不起,但泄露消息 给记者的人不是托比 |
[32:22] | Will the majority leader believe that? | 多数党领袖会相信吗? |
[32:24] | – No. – It was a breakfast. | -不 -那只是早餐会 |
[32:26] | It was a damn photo opportunity. | 那是个该死的亮相机会 |
[32:30] | The year is one week old. The legislative session hasn’t begun. | 今年才过一星期 国会都还没有开议 |
[32:33] | We can’t put a forkful of waffles in our mouth without coughing up the ball. | 我们只是吃了一口松饼 就差点把自己噎死 |
[32:39] | You got beat. | 你被修理得很惨 |
[32:41] | Yes. | 是的 |
[32:45] | I have press in 10 minutes. | 十分钟后我要开记者会 |
[32:46] | Figure it out. Tell me what you’re gonna do. | 把事情弄清楚 告诉我你打算怎么做 |
[32:56] | We can take the highroad… | 我们可以摆出无辜的态度 |
[32:58] | …say we don’t want it to disintegrate into a war of words. | 说我们不希望这成为口水战 |
[33:01] | We don’t wanna disrupt a fragile peace. | 我们不希望打破脆弱的和平 |
[33:03] | It’s been disrupted. We’re accused of ambushing the majority leader. | 和平已经粉碎 我们被指控突袭多数党领袖 |
[33:07] | Labor’s gonna want to know we stand by the minimum wage. | 劳工会知道 我们支持最低工资 |
[33:10] | Why don’t we have the Labor secretary make a statement? | 我们为什么不请 劳工部长出来说话? |
[33:13] | – We support the $2 minimum wage. – Let’s emphasize how close we are. | -我们支持最低工资得增加两块 -我们得强调我们一直在努力 |
[33:16] | We support the $2 minimum-wage hike spread over two years. | 我们支持在两年内 把最低工资提高两块 |
[33:19] | The Republicans want it over three years. We’re close. | 共和党希望拉长为三年 双方差异缩小 |
[33:21] | It sounds like we’re close to agreeing on 30 months, which we’re not. | 三十月个来我们一直都快达成共识了 但是我们并没有 |
[33:24] | No one will cover a statement from a Labor secretary… | 没有人会报导 劳工部长的说法 |
[33:26] | …which is good because it’d look like we were ducking. | 好吧,看起来像是我们在逃避 |
[33:28] | – No, I don’t think… – She’s right. | -不,我不认为 -她说的对 |
[33:30] | We can’t be passive, and the highroad doesn’t go where we need it to. | 我们不能被动挨打 装做不知道无法解救我们 |
[33:36] | Be cool. Be funny. Smack them down hard. | 冷静风趣 狠狠地修理他们 |
[33:39] | The majority leader is out of touch with the needs of real people. | 多数党领袖 不知道人民真正的需要 |
[33:42] | Why wasn’t he at the podium? A sore throat? | 为什么他没有公开亮相? 他喉咙痛? |
[33:45] | We know how tough that is. Thank goodness he had health insurance. | 我们知道那有多难过 谢天谢地他有健保 |
[33:49] | – There it is. – That’s the sound bite. | -对了 -就是那个 |
[33:50] | And that’s the new story. | 那可是最新新闻 |
[33:52] | – Toby? – Do it. | -托比 -去吧 |
[33:54] | Carol, I need voting stats on health care. | 卡萝,我要健保投票资料 |
[33:57] | Five minutes. | 五分钟 |
[34:00] | How’s this for a phrase? | 这句话可以吗? |
[34:02] | You can lay down in front of the train, or you can get onboard. | 你可以躺在火车前或是上车 |
[34:05] | That’s a really bad phrase. | 那真的很烂 |
[34:07] | Is it better if it’s, “You can get onboard the train or lay down in front of it”? | 改成“你可以上车 或是躺在火车前”呢? |
[34:11] | No, it’s really bad either way. | 不,那也一样烂 |
[34:13] | Josh, this was delivered by messenger. | 乔西,快递送来这个 |
[34:15] | What is it? | 那是什么? |
[34:17] | It’s… Wait, wait. No, damn, my x-ray vision is failing me today. | 它是等一下,不,该死 我的透视能力今天失灵了 |
[34:20] | Give me that. | 快给我 |
[34:22] | – How’d it go? – Last night? | -情况如何? -你是说昨晚的事吗? |
[34:23] | Did you talk to her? | 你跟她说了吗? |
[34:25] | I explained you said Kirghizstan when you meant Kazakhstan. | 我解释你把哈萨克斯坦 误说成吉尔斯斯坦 |
[34:28] | Did you say it was cute how I worried? | 你说我担心时 看起来很可爱吗? |
[34:30] | – I did. – Did I get it wrong? | -我说了 -我真的说错了吗? |
[34:31] | – She said she wasn’t really listening. – Okay. | -她说她没有注意听 -好吧 |
[34:35] | I had a most stimulating conversation with her. It was pithy. It was erudite. | 我跟她谈得非常开心 我们天南地北谈了很多事 |
[34:40] | And most of all, it required no follow-up explanation. | 最棒的是我不必多做解释 |
[34:42] | – Donna? – What was in the envelope? | -唐娜 -信封里装了什么? |
[34:45] | Your underwear. | 你的内裤 |
[34:48] | What? | 什么? |
[34:49] | I’m holding your underwear in my hand right now. | 我手里正拿着你的内裤 |
[34:53] | And the way I know it’s your underwear… | 我会知道 它是你的内裤 |
[34:55] | …is, your name is sewn in the back… | 因为后面绣了你的名字 |
[34:57] | …which, obviously, we’ll spend some time talking about at a later date. | 很明显地我们得花点时间 谈谈这事 |
[35:01] | How did you get my underwear? | 你怎么会有我的内裤? |
[35:02] | Did you wear the same pair of pants two days in a row this week? | 这星期你连续两天 穿同一条内裤吗? |
[35:06] | – No. – Donna? | -不 -唐娜 |
[35:09] | – Yes. – Okay… | -对 -好吧 |
[35:11] | …when you got dressed on day two… | 你第二天穿衣服时 |
[35:14] | …did you check the pant leg for the previous day’s underwear? | 有没有检查前一天的内裤 是不是卡在裤脚里? |
[35:16] | – I don’t need to check the pant leg… – Donna. | -我不必检查裤脚 -唐娜 |
[35:20] | – They fell out of my pants? – It would appear that way. | -它从我的裤子里掉出来? -很明显是那样的 |
[35:24] | Where? | 在哪里? |
[35:26] | The South Street exhibit. | 南街展览上 |
[35:27] | – Where? – On the floor, in front of Karen Cahill. | -在哪里? -就在凯伦卡希儿面前的地板上 |
[35:32] | – Tell me she’s not the one… – She sent a note. | -告诉我不是她 -她还写了一张字条 |
[35:36] | Fred and Ethel, would you follow me, please? | 佛瑞德跟艾瑟 请跟我来 |
[35:39] | I think she’s talking about us. | 我想她指的是我们 |
[35:51] | Did a question get tacked on to the monthly DNC tracking poll… | 民主党全国委员会月刊的追踪民调 有没有问到 |
[35:53] | – … about moving the press room? – Yes… | -�E移媒体室的问题? -是的 |
[35:56] | …because I wanted to shoot down the argument the public… | 因为我想了解 民众的意见 |
[35:58] | The public gets news from the press, and the press gets news… | 民众从媒体得到消息 媒体 |
[36:01] | It’s a private poll. The press doesn’t have access to it. | 私人民调 媒体不会知道这件事 |
[36:03] | They don’t know what questions we’re asking? | 他们不知道有这个问题? |
[36:05] | Are you sure? | 你确定? |
[36:06] | The only way they’d know what questions were asked… | 他们会知道 民调问了哪些问题 |
[36:08] | …is if they were called by one of the pollsters and… Oh, my God! | 是因为民调中心 打电话给他们我的天啊 |
[36:11] | – Yes. – A reporter got called by a pollster? | -对 -有记者接到民调中心的电话? |
[36:14] | Yes, indeed. Yes. | 一点都没错 |
[36:15] | – What are the chances of that? – They’re astronomical. | -机率有多大? -到处都是记者 |
[36:18] | – Guys. – They sample 800 respondents. | -大伙们 -他们问了八百位民众 |
[36:21] | Would the two of you stop being amazed by the mathematics? | 你们两个能不能 别再讨论数学问题? |
[36:24] | All right, I’d pass it off. | 好吧,我会去处理 |
[36:26] | Say some schnook in the management office wanted to kick it around. | 就说管理部门 有个笨蛋想了解这件事 |
[36:29] | Sam? | 山姆 |
[36:32] | It’s gonna be me, right? | 那就是我,对吧? |
[36:35] | – Okay. – You ready? | -好吧 -你准备好了? |
[36:38] | You had a lot of opportunities today to say I told you so… | 今天你有很多机会 跟我说: “你看吧” |
[36:41] | …and score some points with Leo. | 而且在里奥面前建功 |
[36:43] | You’re a class act. | 你演的很好 |
[36:44] | Why were you holding women’s underwear before? | 你刚刚为什么 会拿着女人的内裤? |
[36:48] | Never really needed a reason. Heat them up. | 那不需要任何理由 给他们好看 |
[36:54] | C.J. | 茜洁 |
[36:55] | C.J. | 茜洁 |
[36:57] | White House press secretary C.J. Cregg… | 白宫新闻秘书 茜洁葛瑞 <晚上十一点五分> |
[37:00] | …characterized the Republican response as bizarre. | 对共和党的反应感到讶异 |
[37:03] | There was no intent to ambush the Republican Party with an issue… | 我们无意用已经讨论了 |
[37:06] | …that’s been on the table for a year. | 一年的议题 来突袭多数党领袖 |
[37:08] | Ann Stark, recently installed chief of staff in the majority leader’s office… | 刚刚升任为多数党领袖办公室 幕僚长的安史塔克 |
[37:12] | …said she was surprised by the White House… | 说她很讶异 白宫 |
[37:14] | And shocked. | 也非常震惊 |
[37:16] | Shocked to discover there’s gambling going on in this establishment. | 也非常震惊地发现 这个议题遭到有心人士操作 |
[37:23] | Maybe if you’d gotten me a gift of some kind. | 或许你给送我礼物 |
[37:27] | You think this is funny? | 你觉得这很有趣? |
[37:29] | You used to have a sense of humor, Toby. | 你以为很有幽默感,托比 |
[37:33] | – You never had a sense of humor. – Ann… | -你从来没有幽默感 -安 |
[37:36] | I think you’ll have to get next to the idea… | 我想你得好好想一想 |
[37:38] | – … your party isn’t in the majority. – My party’s in the White House. | -你的政党不是多数党 -我的政党进了白宫 |
[37:41] | A building to which the Constitution does not endow sovereign power. | 在那里宪法 仍凌驾于行政权上 |
[37:48] | You think I’ll sit around while you reduce the president to prime minister? | 你以为我会坐视 让你将总统贬为总理? |
[37:53] | Stand or sit. We’re in the majority, and things are gonna have to look it. | 我不在乎,我们是多数党 人民必须了解这一点 |
[37:58] | And by the way, don’t ever walk into my office without an appointment. | 还有以后到我办公室来 别忘了预约 |
[38:02] | You’d think this could wait until an election year. | 你以为他们可以等到选举年 |
[38:05] | – When is it not an election year? – Ten years ago, we’d sit down. | -哪一年不是选举年? -十年前我们会坐下来 |
[38:09] | We’d order a couple of bourbons. We’d talk about health care. | 我们会点几杯波本酒 我们会谈健保问题 |
[38:13] | We’d talk about the minimum wage. | 我们会谈最低工资 |
[38:20] | He didn’t have a sore throat. | 他没有喉咙痛 |
[38:22] | No. | 对 |
[38:24] | You kept him off the board so he could come back on and fix it. | 你不让他参加记者会 让他有空回头解决问题 |
[38:30] | – When will you announce? – Announce what? | -你们什么时候要宣布? -宣布什么? |
[38:32] | That he’s running for president. | 他要竞选总统 |
[38:34] | I’m pretty sure we just did. | 我相信我们已经宣布了 |
[38:44] | I’m gonna read a short statement in response to the rather bizarre take on… | 我要简短地回应 这真的很令人讶异 |
[38:50] | I think the whole damn thing is bizarre. | 我认为这件事非常令人讶异 |
[38:52] | I don’t know if this is the right moment… | 总统先生,我不知道现在 时机是不是适宜 |
[38:54] | – Right moment for what? – Donna Moss needs a favor. | -什么? -唐娜摩斯希望你帮她一个忙 |
[38:57] | While talking to Karen Cahill, she accidentally dropped her underwear. | 她跟凯伦卡希儿说话时 内裤不小心掉了 |
[39:00] | She feels Karen Cahill may have misinterpreted that. | 她觉得凯伦卡希儿 会误解她的意思 |
[39:03] | Donna asked me to ask you if you’d call Karen Cahill… | 唐娜要我来请你 打电话给凯伦卡希儿 |
[39:06] | …and make it clear she wasn’t making a sexual advance. | 跟她解释 她不是在跟她做性暗示 |
[39:11] | I’m not sure there is a right moment to ask me that, Charlie. | 我不确定现在问我这件事 时机是不是恰当,查理 |
[39:14] | So I should tell her no. | 我该跟她说不行 |
[39:16] | – Good evening, Mr. President. – Donna wants me to call Karen Cahill… | -晚安,总统先生 -唐娜要我打电话给凯伦卡希儿 |
[39:20] | …and say she wasn’t hitting on her when she gave her her underwear. | 说她把内裤送给她 绝对没有性暗示的意味 |
[39:23] | That’s because I made fun of her shoes… | 那是因为 我取笑她的鞋子 |
[39:25] | .. Sam said there were nuclear weapons in Kirghizstan… | 山姆说 吉尔斯斯坦有核武 |
[39:27] | …and Donna went to clear it up and accidentally left her underwear. | 唐娜去跟她解释 内裤不小心掉了 |
[39:31] | There can’t possibly be nuclear weapons in Kirghizstan. | 吉尔斯斯坦 不可能有核武 |
[39:34] | Mr. President, please don’t wade hip-deep into this story. | 总统先生 请不要再为难我们了 |
[39:38] | Sir? | 长官 |
[39:39] | Toby. | 托比 |
[39:42] | I’m going to bed. If anybody thinks of new ways for us to make friends… | 我要睡了,如果有人想出 让我们做朋友的新方法 |
[39:46] | …don’t hesitate to wake me, or just feel free to start a fire. | 请马上叫醒我 你们也可以放把火算了 |
[39:50] | – Thank you, Mr. President. – Good night. | -谢谢总统先生 -晚安 |
[40:05] | Toby. | 托比 |
[40:15] | He didn’t wanna see me. | 他不想见我 |
[40:17] | He’ll be all right in the morning. | 明天早上他就会没事 |
[40:22] | You’re the communications director. It was a TV show. | 你是媒体主任 那是电视转播记者会 |
[40:27] | It was a blunder from top to bottom. | 这下子大家是一团乱 |
[40:30] | You should know that it could’ve been avoided if I’d listened to C.J. | 你应该知道如果我听茜洁的话 这件事是可以避免的 |
[40:36] | Or me. | 或是听我的话 |
[40:39] | Alexander Hamilton didn’t think we should have political parties. | 亚力山大汉弥顿不认为 我们应该有政党 |
[40:43] | Neither did John Adams. They thought political parties led to divisiveness. | 约翰亚当斯也那么认为 他们认为政党会导致分裂 |
[40:48] | They do. They should. | 没错,他们应该那么做 |
[40:50] | We have disagreements. Arguments are good. | 我们有歧见 争论是件好事 |
[40:53] | Only if they lead to statesmanship. | 只要能把国家治理好 |
[40:57] | Or it’s just theater. | 或是把政治变成笑柄 |
[41:01] | And statesmanship is compromise. | 政治是一种妥协 |
[41:04] | What about persuasion? | 说服呢? |
[41:11] | They’re coming for us, Leo. | 他们发动了攻击,里奥 |
[41:14] | I know. | 我知道 |
[41:16] | I mean, they’re coming for us now. | 我是说他们已经发动了攻击 |
[41:21] | Toby, if you knew what it was like getting him to run the first time…. | 托比,如果你知道 第一次说服他出马竞选有多难 |
[41:25] | – I know. – Like pushing molasses up a sandy hill. | -我知道 -那就像是老牛拖车 |
[41:29] | If I go and tell him it’s time to run again, he’s gonna get crazy… | 如果我去告诉他又要竞选了 他会发疯 |
[41:34] | …and frustrated. He’s gonna sink into his head. | 暴跳如雷 他会关在自己的世界里 |
[41:39] | And he’s gonna say he’s not running. | 他会说他不要竞选 |
[41:48] | So we’ve gotta do it for him. | 我们得帮他安排好一切 |
[41:52] | We’ll keep it away from this office… | 我们不能把竞选带进这个办公室 |
[41:56] | …but we’ve gotta get real now. | 但现在我们得玩真的 |
[42:00] | Ann Stark’s a wartime consigliere. That’s why she was bumped up. | 安史塔克是战争高手 所以他们才会拔擢她 |
[42:03] | I’m a wartime consigliere too, Toby. | 我也是战争高手,托比 |
[42:09] | I was just hoping it’d be peacetime a little longer. | 我只是希望 和平能维持得久一点 |
[42:18] | Son of a bitch. | 大混蛋 |
[42:24] | Shake my hand. | 跟我握手吧 |
[42:29] | – We just formed it. – Formed what? | -我们刚刚办到了 -我们办到了什么? |
[42:32] | The Committee to Re-elect the President. | 竞选连任总统委员会 |