时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | – He’s a lunatic. – He’s colorful. | -他是个疯子 -他很有趣 |
[00:09] | – He’s certifiable. – Who? | -他是精神异常 -谁? |
[00:10] | Lord John Marbury. | 约翰马伯利爵士 |
[00:11] | You’re gonna let him loose where there’s liquor and women? | 约翰马伯利爵士 这里有酒跟女人 你就这样任他放肆吗? |
[00:14] | We can hide the women, but the man deserves a drink. | 我们可以把女人藏起来 但他有资格喝一杯 |
[00:17] | Allow me. Lord John Marbury. I was summoned by your president. | 让我来,我是约翰马伯利爵士 你们的总统找我 |
[00:21] | Yes. We’ve met 10 or 12 times. | 对,我们见过十到十二次 |
[00:24] | – Leo McGarry. – I thought you were the butler. | -我是里奥马加瑞 -我还以为你是管家 |
[00:26] | You’re the one who’s been saying we need a radical approach. | 你一直说 我们需要采取激烈的作法 |
[00:29] | Yes, yes, I have. And I got shouted down in every meeting. | 对,没错 而每一个会议我也听到反对的声音 |
[00:32] | I prefer not to paint a picture in the interest of oratory. | 我不想 想篇夸张的演讲稿 |
[00:35] | The year is one week old. | 今年才过一星期 |
[00:36] | The legislative session hasn’t begun and we can’t put waffles… | 今年才过一星期 国会都还没有开始会议 我们只是吃了一口松饼 |
[00:39] | …in our mouth without coughing up the ball. | 就差点把自己噎死 |
[00:42] | – You got beat. – Yes. | -你被修理得很惨 -是的 |
[00:44] | Figure it out. Tell me what you’ll do. | 把事情弄清楚 告诉我你打算怎么做 轻描淡写 |
[01:02] | Are we patched into the Pentagon? | 我们跟五角大厦连线了吗? |
[01:04] | We can hear them? | 我们可以听到他们吗? |
[01:05] | We can hear what they’re saying at Command? | 我们可以听到他们吗? 我们可以听到 指挥中心说的话吗? |
[01:09] | Why can’t I hear anything? | 为什么我什么都听不到? |
[01:12] | – Why aren’t we hearing anything? – Fifteen seconds to target launch. | -为什么我们什么都听不到? -十五秒后目标发射 |
[01:15] | Why don’t you just tell me to shut up… | 你为什么不告诉我闭嘴 |
[01:18] | We have a target launch sequence. Go flight. | 开始发射目标 发射 |
[01:20] | Kwajalein Atoll, how do you read? | 夸加林岛,你们听到了吗? |
[01:22] | We read you five by five. Positive target launch sequence. | 我们听得很清楚 开始发射目标 |
[01:25] | – Here we go. – Target launch in five. Four. Three. Two. | -开始了 -倒数五秒,四,三,二 |
[01:31] | Target is aloft. | 目标发射 |
[01:32] | – How long do I have? – Two minutes, 10 seconds. | -我有多少时间? -两分十秒 |
[01:35] | I’m gonna see if I can get the president to watch this. | 我去看看 能不能请总统过来 |
[01:39] | – Mr. Sumatra, you’re a sports fan. – Yes, sir, Mr. President. Golf. | -苏穆塔先生,你是运动迷 -是的,总统先生,我喜欢高尔夫球 |
[01:43] | Okay, well, golf’s not a sport. | 好吧,高尔夫球不是运动 |
[01:44] | It’s fine, don’t get me wrong, but let’s not confuse it with things that men do. | 它不错,别误解我的意思 但真男人是不会玩这种运动的 |
[01:48] | – Yes, sir. – We’re going to Bangkok in June. | -是的 -六月我们会去曼谷 |
[01:51] | – June, Charlie? – Yes, sir. | -是六月吗?查理 -是的,长官 |
[01:52] | – You’re at the Oriental. – Best hotel in the world. | -是六月吗?查理 -是的,长官 -你们会住在东方饭店 -全世界最棒的饭店 |
[01:55] | James Michener wrote many of his books at the Oriental… | 詹姆士米席纳 在东方饭店写了很多书 |
[01:58] | …and one of his typewriters remains in the suite they named for him. | 他的打字员仍住在 以他命名的套房里 |
[02:01] | Is that right? | 是吗? |
[02:03] | Make sure I see that. | 是吗? 一定要让我看一下 |
[02:04] | – Tom. – Mr. President, it is with pleasure… | 一定要让我看一下 -汤姆 -总统先生,我很荣幸 |
[02:06] | …that I present His Excellency Tada Sumatra of Thailand. And by… | 介绍来自泰国的 塔达苏穆塔阁下 |
[02:10] | …request of the secretary of state, ask that you accept his credentials… | 国务�肭肽� 接受布尼波阿杜雅杰国王 |
[02:14] | …from King Bhumibol Adulyadej as Thailand’s ambassador to the US. | 给他的到任国书 他将是泰国驻美大使 |
[02:17] | Mr. Sumatra, I accept your letter of credence from King Adulyadej… | 苏穆塔先生,我接受 阿杜雅杰国王给你的到任国书 |
[02:22] | …and by affixing my signature and seal… | 并且签名跟盖章确认 |
[02:25] | …do declare you to be an ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary. | 宣布你正式成为大使 |
[02:30] | May our people know peace and prosperity. | 希望两国人民 过着和平繁荣的生活 |
[02:33] | – Congratulations. – Thank you. | -恭喜你 -谢谢 |
[02:35] | We’ve got gifts, and we’re gonna stand for pictures. | 我们准备了一些礼物 现在要来拍照 |
[02:37] | – Ambassador, right here. – Madam, congratulations. | -大使,这边请 -夫人,恭喜 |
[02:43] | He’s got about another two minutes, and then I’ve gotta pull him. | 他大概有两分钟的时间 然后我得请他出来 |
[02:47] | Hey, Charlie, is he done? | 查理,他做完了吗? |
[02:50] | – Another two minutes. – I’d like him in the Situation Room. | -再等两分钟 -我要请他到战情室去 |
[02:53] | – Should I tell him it’s an emergency? – No emergency, it’s just time-sensitive. | -我该告诉他是紧急情况吗? -这不是紧急情况,只是敏感时刻 |
[03:01] | What are you looking at? | 你在看什么? |
[03:02] | You’re testing that preposterous contraption again. | 你在看什么? 你们又在测试 那个愚蠢的装置了 |
[03:05] | It’s not a preposterous contraption. Mind your own business. | 那不是愚蠢的装置 别管闲事 |
[03:08] | In my day we knew how to protect ourselves. | 我们以前 非常清楚如何保护自己 |
[03:10] | In your day you could turn back the Indians with a Daniel Boone musket. | 你们以前只用老式毛瑟枪 就能打败印第安人 |
[03:14] | – Sarcasm: the grumpy man’s wit. – Sharpen a pencil, would you? | -只有笨蛋才会讽刺别人 -把铅笔削一削,好吗? |
[03:19] | – What’s up? – They’re gonna launch the intercept. | -怎么了? -他们要发射拦截飞弹了 |
[03:22] | I’m sure somebody will come along soon and tell me it didn’t work. | 我相信很快就会有人 来告诉我它失败了 |
[03:25] | – Why that attitude? – It won’t work. | -你为什么要那么说? -它不会成功的 |
[03:27] | – What do I get if it works? – What do you get? | -如果成功了我会有什么奖励? -你会有什么奖励? |
[03:29] | Well, I can’t make you Thailand’s ambassador to the U.S… | 我不能任命你 当泰国驻美大使 |
[03:32] | – … because I just signed that guy’s letter. – Come with me to the Situation Room. | -因为我刚刚签了那家伙的到任国书 -跟我到战情室 |
[03:39] | You know what? You are the Charlie Brown of missile defense. | 你知道吗?一提到防卫飞弹 你就成了查理布朗 |
[03:42] | – The Pentagon is Lucy. – I’m not familiar with the reference. | -五角大厦是露西 -我听不懂你在说什么 |
[03:45] | – “Peanuts,” Charlie Brown. – I’m just not conversant in them. | -“花生漫划” ,查理布朗 -我不熟悉它们 |
[03:48] | – Why? – I’ve never read the comics. | -为什么? -我没有看过那本漫划 |
[03:51] | – Leo, were you born at the age of 55? – I know that there’s a dog. | -里奥,你一出生就是五十五岁吗? -我知道里面有一只狗 |
[03:54] | Charlie Brown wanted to kick a football and Lucy would hold it. | 查理布朗想踢球 而露西会扶着球 |
[03:58] | Except she’d pull it away at the last minute… | 但她会在最后一分钟 把球拿开 |
[04:00] | …and Charlie Brown would fall on his butt. | 查理布朗 会摔得四脚朝天 |
[04:03] | – That’s funny? – No. | -那很好笑吗? -不 |
[04:05] | But each time, Lucy would find a way to convince Charlie Brown… | 但每次露西都会想办法 说服查理布朗 |
[04:08] | …that this time she wouldn’t pull the ball away, but she would. | 她不会把球拿开 但每次她都那么做 |
[04:12] | And once again, Charlie Brown would fall on his butt. | 查理布朗会再一次 摔得四脚朝天 |
[04:14] | – That’s funny? – Satirical. | -那很好笑吗? -那是一种讽刺 |
[04:16] | – What’s it satirizing? – The DOD bringing you… | -那很好笑吗? -那是一种讽刺 -它在讽刺什么? -国防部 |
[04:18] | …to the Situation Room every time they run a missile test… | 每次做飞弹测试 都会要你到战情室 |
[04:21] | …so you can come tell me how great it works so I’ll put money in the NMD. | 所以你会来告诉我它非常成功 然后我会批准导弹防御体系的预算 |
[04:24] | – You should put money in the NMD. – It doesn’t work. | -你应该批准导弹防御体系的预算 -它不会成功的 |
[04:27] | It will work. One day. Soon. | 它会成功的,有一天,很快的 |
[04:29] | There are 3-star generals in there. Call them Lucy and you’re on your own. | 里面有几个三星将军 你敢叫他们露西,你就得回家吃自己 |
[04:32] | Good morning, Mr. President. | 早安,总统先生 |
[04:34] | – Where are we? – The kill vehicle’s on a clear trajectory. | -情况如何? -拦截飞弹已经发射 |
[04:38] | – What’s its time to the target? – Fifty seconds. | -它什么时候能击中目标? -再过五十秒 |
[04:41] | – Colonel, walk the president through. – Yes. | -上校,请跟总统解释一下 -是的 |
[04:43] | Approximately three minutes ago a missile was launched… | 大约在三分钟前 我们发射了飞弹 |
[04:46] | …with a simulated warhead from the Kwajalein Atoll in the South Pacific. | 装载着假弹头 飞弹从太平洋的夸加林岛发射 |
[04:51] | And it’s gonna hit my garage in New Hampshire when? | 它什么时候会击中 我在新罕布夏州的车库? |
[04:53] | Well, once the missile cleared cloud cover, it was detected… | 飞弹穿过云层后 早期预警卫星 |
[04:57] | …by the early-warning satellites, which launched an interceptor, or kill vehicle. | 会侦测到它 卫星会发射拦截飞弹 |
[05:01] | Ten seconds to SRB sep. | 十秒后SRB脱离 |
[05:02] | SRB sep is “Solid Rocket Booster separation. “ | SRB脱离意思是 “固体燃料火箭推进引擎脱离” |
[05:05] | That means the radar on the ground… | 那表示地面雷达 |
[05:07] | …has gotten a lock-on signal from the kill vehicle. | 已收到拦截飞弹的 锁定讯号 |
[05:10] | Go SRB sep. | 固体燃料火箭推进引擎脱离 |
[05:12] | Confirm Solid Rocket Booster separation. | 确认固体燃料火箭推进引擎脱离 |
[05:15] | Kill vehicle’s away. Coming over at 0-4-4. | 拦截飞弹射出了 座标0―4―4 |
[05:20] | Roger. | 知道了 |
[05:21] | – Roger, Control. We got that 4-4-7. – Thirty seconds to target intercept. | 知道了 -知道了,控制中心,座标4―4―7 -三十秒后拦截目标 |
[05:28] | – Go flight. – What happens now? | -发射 -现在怎么了? |
[05:29] | In 20 seconds it collides with the nuclear warhead. | 二十秒后 它会撞上核子弹头 |
[05:32] | – Where? – Outer space. | -在哪里? -外太空 |
[05:33] | Seventeen miles above Earth’s atmosphere. | -在哪里? -外太空 地球大气层 上方十七里 |
[05:35] | But we don’t have anybody out there right now, do we? | 但那里没有住人吧? |
[05:38] | – Ten seconds to intercept. – When we stay at the Oriental… | -十秒后拦截 -我们住进东方饭店时 |
[05:42] | …we have to see James Michener’s typewriter. | 我们得跟 詹姆士米席纳的打字员见面 |
[05:44] | – Intercept in five. – Here we go. | -五秒后拦截 -好戏要上场了 |
[05:46] | Four. Three. Two. One. | 四,三,二,一 |
[05:57] | – Is that silence usually a good sign? – No. | -没有声音是好预兆吗? -不 |
[06:00] | Negative intercept. | 拦截失败 |
[06:03] | – Have we got sensor readings? – No. | -有声纳反应吗? -没有 |
[06:06] | Negative intercept. KM warhead overshot target. | 拦截失败 KM弹头没有击中目标 |
[06:08] | – It was just enthusiastic. – By how much? | -我们很乐观 -差了多少? |
[06:10] | – Leo… – By how much did it miss? | -里奥 -它到底差了多少? |
[06:12] | – Colonel? – 137. | -上校 -一百三十七 |
[06:16] | – We missed it by 137 feet. – Miles. | -我们差了一百三十七尺 -是里才对 |
[06:20] | We missed it by 137 miles? | 我们差了一百三十七里? |
[06:23] | When you consider the size of outer space, that’s not so bad. | 外太空非常大 那还不算太糟 |
[06:26] | By the way, the words you’re looking for are, “Oh, good grief. “ | 还有,你应该说 “喔,我的老天爷” 罗伯洛 杜希尔 艾莉森詹尼 珍妮尔摩隆奈 里察薛福 约翰史宾塞 布雷迪威佛德 马丁辛 |
[07:21] | For those of you who haven’t seen it, it’s a very lovely ceremony. It’s informal. | 你们当中没有看到这一幕的人 这是非常温馨而且不拘形式的仪式 |
[07:26] | The ambassadors are led into the Oval Office… | 大使被带进椭圆形办公室 |
[07:29] | …probably with a few friends and family. | 同行的有他的朋友跟家人 |
[07:31] | They chat with the president, maybe exchange some gifts… | 他们跟总统闲话家常 交换礼物 |
[07:35] | …and they’re presented by the State Department’s chief of protocol… | 国务院礼宾司长 会介绍他们 |
[07:38] | …who asks the president to accept the ambassador’s credentials… | 请总统接受 大使的到任国书 |
[07:41] | …and the president signs a letter to that effect. Yes? | 总统会签字宣布国书生效 请说 |
[07:44] | You have four new ambassadors this week. | 茜洁,这星期 有四位新大使到任 |
[07:46] | Is there an order in which they’re seen? | 总统会以何种顺序 接见他们? |
[07:49] | The order they arrived in Washington. | 他们抵达华盛顿的顺序 |
[07:51] | Earlier the president saw Ambassador Sumatra of Thailand… | 稍早总统接见了泰国的苏穆塔大使 |
[07:53] | …then it’ll be Peter Hans of Sweden… | 接下来是瑞典的 彼德汉斯大使 |
[07:55] | …followed by Her Excellency Renee Ernesto of Argentina… | 接下来是阿根廷的 蕾妮恩斯托阁下 |
[07:59] | …Noah Jola of Burkina Faso… | 布吉纳法索的诺亚荷拉大使 |
[08:00] | …and the newly named British ambassador… | 以及新任命的 英国大使 |
[08:03] | …will be arriving just as soon as he’s been newly named. | 他一接到任命 会尽快赶过来 |
[08:06] | I thought it was… I forgot his name. | 我想他是 我忘了他的名字 |
[08:08] | – Anthony Bratt? – Yeah. | -安东尼巴拉特? -对 |
[08:09] | Anthony Bratt cited family obligations and withdrew over the weekend. | 安东尼巴拉特因为家庭因素 在周末请辞 |
[08:12] | – Weren’t they gonna replace him with…? – Sir Christopher Nealing-Roach? | -他们不是重新任命? -克里斯多佛尼林罗奇爵士? |
[08:16] | No, Sir Christopher has been diagnosed with encephalitis… | 不,克里斯多佛爵士 罹患了脑炎 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 |
[08:19] | …contracted during his posting to Kenya. | 他在担任肯亚大使期间 回国治病 |
[08:21] | – Who’s the new British ambassador? – I don’t know. | -谁是新任英国大使? -我不知道 |
[08:24] | When the State Department tells me, I’ll know. | 制片:劳伦斯欧唐尼尔二世 国务院通知我后 我才会知道 |
[08:26] | It’s pool photographs only until tomorrow night… | 明天晚上我们 会为新来的大使们举行接待会 |
[08:28] | …when there’ll be a reception for the new ambassadors. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 |
[08:31] | Thanks, C.J. | 谢谢你,茜洁 |
[08:32] | Want to know who’s been here the longest? | 你们想知道 谁是在任最久的驻美大使吗? |
[08:35] | The dean of the diplomatic corps? Anybody? | 外交使节团团长? 有人想知道吗? |
[08:37] | Guys, you know I study these things just for you. | 你们知道我为了你们 研究这些事 |
[08:40] | It’s Prince Bandar bin Sultan of Saudi Arabia. | 是沙地阿拉伯的 巴达宝苏尔坦王子 制片:李维林威尔斯 |
[08:44] | I could’ve also told them Burkina Faso has a population of 11 million… | 我还可以告诉他们布吉纳法索 的人口是一千一百万 |
[08:48] | …and in even years they host Africa’s largest crafts market. | 在双数年 他们会举办非洲最大的手工艺市场 编剧:艾伦索金 |
[08:52] | – I need a chance to use that knowledge. – C.J.? | -我得找机会用这些资料 -茜洁 |
[08:55] | – Do you know the crops of Burkina Faso? – No. | -你知道布吉纳法索的作物吗? -不知道 |
[08:57] | Millet, sorghum, rice, peanuts and cotton. | 黍子、高梁、稻子 花生跟棉花 导演:卢安东尼欧 |
[09:00] | Mention in your briefing that we’ve accepted a last-minute invitation… | 在简报中提一下 我们在最后一分钟接受邀请 |
[09:04] | …for the president to address the Global Defense Council tomorrow. | 总统会在明天 全球环保协会会议上演说 |
[09:08] | – I thought we passed on the GDC. – We passed on it three months ago… | -我以为我们不参加全球环保协会会议 -三个月前我们决定不去 |
[09:11] | …when we thought the president was gonna be in South America. | 当时我们以为 总统会在南美洲 |
[09:14] | But they lost their keynote speaker. We’re gonna use this to launch C.A.R.E. | 但他们的主演说人不来 我们得利用这次机会公布C.A.R.E |
[09:18] | That’s what I want you to announce. | 那就是我要你宣布的事 |
[09:20] | – C.A.R.E.? – Yeah. | -对 |
[09:21] | – Okay. – Clean Air Rehabilitation Effort. | -好吧 -大气清洁重建计划 |
[09:23] | – You don’t know what it is. – The Clean Air Rehabilitation Effort? | -你不知道那是什么 -大气清洁重建计划吗? |
[09:26] | An effort to clean and rehabilitate air… | 我们得努力清洁 及重建大气层 |
[09:28] | – How can…? – I’m not involved in environmental policy. | -怎么会? -我不负责环保政策 |
[09:31] | Which will come as a relief to environmentalists. | 环保人士 听了一定会松一口气 |
[09:34] | – I knew the crops of Burkina Faso. – I’ll brief you later. | -我知道布吉纳法索的作物 -我待会跟你做简报 |
[09:37] | – Have we heard from Toby? – No. | -有托比的消息吗? -没有 |
[09:40] | – Do we know if he’s landed? – No. | -知道他降落了吗? -不知道 |
[09:42] | – How’s everybody doing in here? – They’re doing fine. | -大家都还好吧? -他们很好 |
[09:45] | Is global warming a real environmental condition or merely a temporary anomaly? | 全球温室效应是真正的环保问题 还是暂时的异状? |
[09:49] | Is it a global threat… | 它是全球性的威胁 |
[09:50] | …or the exaggerated claim of alarmists? The time for such debate is over. | 或是杞人忧天者夸大的言论? 辩论的时间结束了 |
[09:55] | As of today, it shall be the position of the United States government… | 今天,美国政府认为 |
[09:59] | …that global warming constitutes a clear and present danger… | 全球温室效应 是个天大的危机 |
[10:02] | …to the health and future well-being of this planet and all its inhabitants. | 将会危害地球 跟地球生物的健康及未来 |
[10:06] | – Did somebody get that? – Yes. | -有人记下来了吗? -是的 |
[10:08] | – I didn’t see writing. – You wrote it. | -我没有看到你们动手 -你已经写下来了 |
[10:10] | I just added “The time for such debate is over. “ | 我刚刚加了一句 “辩论的时间结束了” |
[10:14] | – We got it. – It sets up the reveal. | -我们记下来了 -那样子才有起承转合 |
[10:17] | 22 trillion in benefits versus half a trillion in compliance costs. | 利益高达二十二兆 而成本只有五千亿 |
[10:20] | We’re making sure that’s right? We’re making sure in a few places? | 我们确定那是对的吗? 我们确定几个地方都是那样吗? |
[10:23] | – I want three sources. – Fine. | -我要引述三个资料来源 -好吧 |
[10:25] | – We don’t know if Toby’s back? – You’ll know soon. | -我们不知道托比回来了没吗? -你很快就会知道 |
[10:28] | – Sam? – Is it Toby? Can I have the phone? | -山姆? -是托比吗?电话给我 |
[10:30] | He’s standing right there. | 他就站在那边 |
[10:32] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[10:34] | Twenty-two thousand fewer respiratory-related hospital admissions. | 少了两万二千人 因呼吸系统问题住院 |
[10:37] | I don’t wanna use the stats unless I have three sources. | 我不会引用那种数字 除非我能找出三个资料来源 |
[10:40] | – How was the trip? – It was fine. What’s going on? | -一路还顺利吗? -很平安,发生了什么事? |
[10:44] | The president’s gonna speak at the GDC conference. | 总统会在全国环保协会会议上演讲 |
[10:46] | – What are you talking about? – He’s gonna launch C.A.R.E. | -你在说什么? -他会公布C.A.R.E |
[10:49] | – Since when? – Their keynote speaker fell through. | -这是什么时候的事? -他们的主演讲人取消行程 |
[10:52] | – When was this decision made? – Last night. | -这是什么时候决定的? -昨晚 |
[10:55] | – Why wasn’t I involved? – You were in Kansas City. | -为什么我不知道? -你在堪萨斯市 |
[10:57] | I have a telephone. I have a damn telephone, Sam. | 我有电话 我带了电话,山姆 |
[11:00] | Frankly, I didn’t think… I thought there’d be a consensus. | 老实说我不认为 我还以为大家都同意 |
[11:03] | Who was at this meeting? | 谁参加了会议? |
[11:04] | – Where? – Where the decision was made. | -什么会议? -做出决定的会议 |
[11:07] | It was me, Carl Taub at the EPA, Jane Ziskin was there…. | 我,环保保护局的卡尔杜伯 珍齐丝金也在 |
[11:10] | We’ve been looking for an opportunity to launch… | 我们一直在找机会公布 |
[11:13] | – Leo wasn’t there? – No. | -里奥不在吗? -对 |
[11:14] | We’ve been looking for a platform for this. What’s the problem? | 我们一直在找机会这么做 有什么问题吗? |
[11:18] | There are a number of problems, any one of which I could have told you about… | 问题多的是 我一直跟你说 |
[11:22] | …had you gotten me on the phone. We already blew off the AFL-CIO. | 遇到这种事你该打电话给我 我们取消了与美国劳工联合会的会谈 |
[11:26] | We said the president was gonna be in South America. | 我们说总统 会到南美洲去 |
[11:29] | He was gonna be. Now he’s not. | 本来是的,但现在他不去了 |
[11:31] | Instead, he’s speaking to labor’s good friend, the environmental lobby. | 除此之外,他要跟劳工的好朋友 环保人士发表演说 |
[11:35] | He’s the president of the United States, he’s nobody’s understudy. | 他是美国总统 不是任何人的傀儡 |
[11:38] | You got him out there like Joey Bishop. | 你那么做 只会让大家以为他是乔伊毕晓普 |
[11:40] | I gotta say, I hear all that, but the president was very enthusiastic. | 我得说,我知道你的意思 但总统保持着乐观的态度 |
[11:44] | – Of course he was enthusiastic. – I wasn’t in there twisting his arm. | -他当然很乐观 -我没有强迫他 |
[11:48] | I told him this opportunity had opened, that we had notes… | 我告诉他这是个好机会 我们收集了资料 |
[11:51] | …so I could finish the speech, he asked questions… | 我可以写出稿子 他问了问题 |
[11:53] | – … we answered them, he said yes. – All right. I understand. All right. | -我们回答他,他答应了 -好吧,我了解了 |
[11:57] | – It’s gonna be a good speech. – Yeah. | -这会是场精彩的演说 -对 |
[11:59] | – They need you. – Thanks. | -他们找你 -谢谢 |
[12:01] | – How was the trip? – Fine. I need to see Leo. | -一路还平安吗? -很好,我要见里奥 |
[12:06] | Yeah. | 对 |
[12:07] | – It’s not gonna be Sir Christopher. – I heard. | -不会是克里斯多佛爵士 -我听说了 |
[12:10] | – I said it’s not gonna be Sir Christopher. – And I said I heard. | -我说不会是克里斯多佛爵士 -我说我听说了 |
[12:14] | – I like to say Sir Christopher. – Who Will it be? | -我希望是克里斯多佛爵士 -到底是谁呢? |
[12:16] | I’m waiting to hear from the State Department. | 我在等国务院的消息 |
[12:18] | – Me too. – Maybe it’ll be Sir Christopher. | -我也是 -或许是克里斯多佛爵士 |
[12:21] | – Can I stop talking to you now? – What are you doing? | -我能挂电话了吗? -你在做什么? |
[12:23] | I’m standing with my back straight against the wall. | 我正背靠着墙立正站好 |
[12:26] | – Why? – I was told by doctors it would relax me. | -为什么? -医生说这能让我放轻松 |
[12:30] | – Josh? – Gotta go. | -乔西? -我得挂电话了 |
[12:33] | – Yeah? – Are you okay? | -什么事? -你还好吧? |
[12:35] | Yeah. What? | 没事,什么? |
[12:37] | Is it true that Leo can’t stand a guy named Lord John Marbury? | 里奥真的受不了 约翰马伯利爵士? |
[12:41] | – Why? – A reporter asked me. | -为什么? -有记者问我 |
[12:43] | – What’s a reporter doing talking to you? – It’s a friend. | -记者怎么会跟你说话? -我们是朋友 |
[12:46] | Leo has nothing but respect for John Marbury. | 里奥非常尊重 约翰马伯利 |
[12:48] | – That’s what I said. – Leo thinks he’s a lunatic. | -我是那么说的 -里奥觉得他是疯子 |
[12:50] | – He’s very handsome. – Maybe, but Leo thinks he’s a lunatic. | -他非常英俊 -或许吧,但里奥觉得他是疯子 |
[12:54] | Are you threatened by his brilliance? You seem to be. | 你被他的聪明威胁了吗? 看起来似乎是的 |
[12:56] | – How do you know he’s brilliant? – His picture. | -你怎么知道他很聪明? -我看了照片 |
[12:58] | I’m not threatened by his brilliance nor his good looks. | 我没有被他的聪明 或英俊威胁 |
[13:01] | – His charm? – Not threatened at all. | -他的魅力呢? -毫无威胁性 |
[13:03] | I’m sorry, I meant Leo. | 对不起,我是指里奥 |
[13:04] | Neither Leo or I are threatened by his brains, his looks or his charm. | 里奥跟我都没有被 他的聪明,英俊或魅力威胁 |
[13:08] | He is, however, a lunatic Brit. We’re grateful there’s an ocean between us. | 但他是个英国疯子 我们很高兴我们之间隔了一个海洋 |
[13:12] | – There isn’t anymore. – There isn’t what? | -现在不是了 -不是什么? |
[13:15] | – An ocean between you. – Please don’t tell me… | -你们之间没有隔着海洋 -请不要告诉我 |
[13:17] | He’s the new British ambassador to the United States. | 他是新任英国驻美大使 |
[13:25] | Yeah. | 对 |
[13:29] | – Josh? – Yeah? | -乔西? -什么? |
[13:31] | He’s dreamy. | 他帅呆了 |
[13:32] | I’m gonna stand next to the wall a little while longer. | 我要再靠着墙站一下子 |
[13:35] | Okay. | 好的 |
[13:44] | Josh? | 乔西? |
[13:45] | – What I need people to do is knock. – I did knock. | -我希望大家会乖乖地敲门 -我敲了门 |
[13:48] | – You didn’t wait for a response. – Why would I? | -你没有等我回应 -我为什么要等? |
[13:50] | Because I could have been relaxing by standing behind that door. | 因为我可能正 站在门后面放轻松 |
[13:54] | All right. | 好吧 |
[13:55] | – How was the trip? – It was fine. | -旅途还顺利吗? -很好 |
[13:57] | We’re pinch-hitting at the GDC conference. | 我们要在 全球环保协会会议上代打 |
[13:59] | I didn’t think it was a good idea, and I said so. | 我不认为那是个好主意 而我也那么说了 |
[14:01] | – That seems to have helped. – Look… | -那似乎有帮助 -听着 |
[14:03] | We can’t be at the beck and call of the environment. | 我们不能 跟环保份子示好 |
[14:06] | – We could insult them. – Yes. | -我们应该侮辱他们 -对 |
[14:08] | – I’m kidding. – I’m not. | -我是在开玩笑 -我不是 |
[14:09] | – We were invited. – Don’t care. | -我们受到了邀请 -我不在乎 |
[14:10] | What do you have? | 你查到了什么? |
[14:12] | Environmental terrorists burnt down a ski resort and the GDC didn’t comment. | 环保恐怖份子烧掉一座滑雪场 全球环保协会不予评论 |
[14:16] | Why did terrorists burn down a ski resort? | 恐怖份子为什么 要烧掉滑雪场? |
[14:18] | – To save the Lynx. – The links? | -为了拯救大山猫 -高尔夫球场? |
[14:20] | Yeah. | 对 |
[14:21] | Terrorists burned down a ski resort to save a golf course? | 恐怖份子烧滑雪场 来拯救高尔夫球场? |
[14:25] | It’s an animal. | 他是一种动物 |
[14:26] | – Sam’s gonna have strong objections. – Yes, I know. | -山姆会非常反对 -对,我知道 |
[14:29] | – You want me to talk to Leo? – I’ll talk to him. | -你要我跟里奥谈谈吗? -我会跟他谈 |
[14:31] | – I want you to talk to C.J. – About what? | -我要你跟茜洁谈一谈 -谈什么? |
[14:33] | The Will Rogers dinner is gonna ask Cornelius Sykes to host. | 威尔罗杰的晚宴 要请康尼利斯史凯来主持 |
[14:37] | – You’re kidding me. – No. | -你在开玩笑 -不 |
[14:39] | – He didn’t laugh at the joke. – Talk to C.J. | -他听到笑话没笑 -跟茜洁谈一谈 |
[14:42] | Why do you relax by standing behind a door? | 你为什么 要站在门后放轻松? |
[14:45] | I’m not. I’m standing with my back against the wall… | 我没有 我是背靠着墙 |
[14:48] | I don’t care. | 我不在乎 |
[14:50] | Yeah. | 对 |
[14:52] | Keith, I… | 凯斯,我 |
[14:55] | Keith, I can’t tell him that. | 凯斯,我不能那么跟他说 |
[14:57] | I can’t tell the president that nine out of 10 things went right. | 我不能告诉总统 十项之中有九项做对了 |
[15:01] | He’s gonna say, “Yeah, but we didn’t hit anything. “ | 他会说 “对,但是我们什么都没打中” |
[15:04] | Would you, please? | 麻烦你 |
[15:06] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[15:09] | We had an NMD test this morning. | 今天早上我们做了 导弹防御体系测试 |
[15:10] | We were successful on nine out of 10 criteria. | 十项之中有九项做对了 |
[15:13] | – We missed? – Yeah. | -我们没有射中? -对 |
[15:16] | – By how much? – We were trying to shoot down… | -差了多少? -我们想击中 |
[15:18] | …an intercontinental ballistic missile. | 一枚洲际弹道飞弹 |
[15:20] | Once you miss, it really doesn’t matter by how much. | 只要是没有打中 差了多少都一样 |
[15:23] | – I suppose. – 137 miles. | -我想是吧 -一百三十七里 |
[15:29] | – Sam just told me about the speech. – Which speech? | -山姆跟我提过演讲的事了 -什么演讲? |
[15:31] | – The GDC. Leo…? – I wasn’t in the meeting. | -全球环保协会,里奥 -当时我不在场 |
[15:34] | – How did…? – I wasn’t in the meeting. | -怎么会? -当时我不在场 |
[15:36] | – I’m saying… – It happened fast. | -我是说 -一切发生得很快 |
[15:38] | Sam pitched it and the president wanted to do it. | 山姆提出要求 总统答应了 |
[15:41] | – How could you not be there? – I’m getting the president… | -你怎么会不在? -我要总统 |
[15:43] | …to warm up to a missile shield that’s supposed to save humanity… | 亲眼看到可以拯救人类的 飞弹防御系统 |
[15:47] | …and there is a limit to the number of rooms I can be in at once. | 我没有办法 同时出现在太多地方 |
[15:50] | – You wanna file a complaint? – No. | -你要抱怨吗? -不 |
[15:54] | Good. | 很好 |
[15:57] | – Here’s what I think. – Screw the environmental lobby? | -这是我的想法 -别管环保游说团体? |
[16:00] | Did I say that? Did I say screw the environmental lobby? | 我是那么说的吗? 我说了别管环保游说团体吗? |
[16:03] | – You didn’t say anything. – Before I even open my mouth… | -你什么都没说 -我还没有开口 |
[16:06] | …you decide I’m gonna say screw the environmental lobby. | 你就决定我会说 别管环保游说团体 |
[16:10] | There’s an extent to which we’ve got to screw the environmental lobby. | 在这种情况下 我们不能在乎环保游说团体 |
[16:14] | A public demonstration that the president’s not beholden to them… | 公开宣示总统不是绝对支持他们 |
[16:17] | …isn’t a bad idea. | 不是个坏主意 |
[16:18] | You think he should walk in and smack them around? | 你觉得他应该走进去 嘲笑他们? |
[16:21] | For 30 seconds of a 40-minute address announcing an initiative they love. | 只用三十秒,其余的时间 是用来发布一样他们欢迎的计划 |
[16:25] | How do you think they’ll feel about the 30 seconds? | 你觉得他们会对 那三十秒有什么想法? |
[16:27] | Not that good, but that’s the point. | 不会太好,但那就是重点 |
[16:29] | We don’t have to move to our right if we can spank the people to our left. | 我们得先下手为强 免得被排挤 |
[16:33] | Anything in particular we wanna spank them for? | 我们为什么 要对他们下手? |
[16:36] | Failing to publicly admonish acts of eco-terrorism. | 他们没有公开谴责 环保恐怖份子的行动 |
[16:39] | The GDC doesn’t engage in acts of eco-terrorism. | 全球环保协会 没有从事环保恐怖行为 |
[16:41] | But they fail to publicly admonish those who do. | 但他们没有公开谴责 环保恐怖份子的行动 |
[16:44] | – For example? – A Colorado ski development… | -譬如说? -科罗拉多州一家滑雪场 |
[16:47] | …that was under construction was set on fire… | 在进行工事时 遭到纵火 |
[16:49] | …because it threatened the habitat of a rare, local Lynx. | 因为它威胁到 当地罕见的大山猫栖息地 |
[16:52] | – Is a Lynx a…? – I don’t know. | -大山猫是? -我不知道 |
[16:53] | It’s like a possum or something. It doesn’t matter. | 他是一种负鼠吧 那不重要 |
[16:56] | – All right, tell Sam to out it. – I don’t want it in the advance text. | -好吧,请山姆处理一下 -我不希望把事态扩大 |
[17:00] | I don’t want Sam and his 14 objections. It should just be a drop-in. | 我不要听山姆抱怨 总统只要轻描淡写一下 |
[17:05] | I’ll talk to the president. Anything else? | 我会跟总统谈 还有事吗? |
[17:10] | – 137 miles? – Yeah. | -一百三十七里? -对 |
[17:13] | – Is that a lot? – Yeah. | -那很多吗? -对 |
[17:18] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[17:21] | We have 30 minutes at the ballroom after the speech to spin… | 演说开始后 我们会在宴会厅待三十分钟 |
[17:24] | …and the next morning as well. | 隔天早上也是 |
[17:26] | Among the things you wanna be emphasizing are what? | 你要强调任何事吗? |
[17:29] | America’s the biggest emitter of carbon dioxide. | 美国是二氧化碳 排放量最多的国家 |
[17:31] | We have 4% of the population. | 我们占全球总人口百分之四 |
[17:33] | We’re responsible for 25% of the greenhouse emissions. | 却排放了百分之二十五的 温室气体 |
[17:36] | How are we gonna reduce those levels, you ask? | 你们会问 我们该如何降低排放量? |
[17:38] | – The Clean Air Rehabilitation Effort. – Yes. | -大气清洁重建计划 -对 |
[17:41] | Which you can read about on page 11. | 第十一页有详细说明 |
[17:43] | Don’t skip the footnotes and just read what’s underlined. | 别不看注解 或只看划线的地方 |
[17:45] | Were you able to get girls to go out with you in school? | 你念书时能约到女孩子吗? |
[17:48] | – Yes. – Really? | -可以 -真的吗? |
[17:50] | These regulations would cap the volume of carbon dioxide… | 这些规定将限制 一家公司 |
[17:53] | …a company could emit in a year. What’s the good news? | 每年的二氧化碳排放量 有什么好消息? |
[17:56] | If the company comes in lower than the cap… | 如果公司排放量 低于标准 |
[17:58] | …they can sell the balance of their emissions allowance. | 他们可以卖出 多余的排放余额 |
[18:01] | – Creating what? – A cash incentive. | -那有什么好处? -他们可以拿到现金 |
[18:03] | Can you tell us anything else about that, C.J.? | 你有什么可以补充?茜洁 |
[18:06] | No, but I can tell you that lumber, cocoa beans… | 没有,但我可以告诉你 木材,可可豆 |
[18:09] | …aluminum and petroleum are the major exports of Cameroon. | 铝跟石油 是喀麦隆的主要输出品 |
[18:12] | Then you’re all set. | 就这样了 |
[18:14] | – Can I have her for a second? – Yeah. | -我能跟她谈一谈吗? -可以 |
[18:16] | – Why do you ask him? – He looked in charge. | -你为什么要问他? -看起来他是这里的老大 |
[18:18] | – Of where I go? – Can we please? | -我是什么东西? -拜托你 |
[18:23] | Did you hear they named John Marbury British ambassador? Lord John Marbury? | 你听说他们要提名约翰马伯利 当英国大使了吗? |
[18:26] | I know. It’s gotta be like Davy Jones himself was showing up. | 我知道,那就像是 大卫琼斯又出现了 |
[18:30] | Don’t make fun of Davy Jones, all right? He once wrote me a letter. | 别拿大卫琼斯开玩笑,好吗? 他曾经写信给我 |
[18:33] | He took that kind of time. And he still tours. | 他以前很红 至今还在巡回表演 |
[18:36] | Plus, my love for John Marbury is real. It’s not a schoolgirl crush. | 还有我真的很喜欢约翰马伯利 那不是那种小女生的喜欢 |
[18:40] | – He calls me principessa. – Does he? | -他叫我小公主 -真的吗? |
[18:42] | – Yes. – Well, he calls Leo “Gerald. “ | -对 -他叫里奥“杰拉德” |
[18:44] | He’s eccentric. What do you need? | 他是个怪胎 你有什么事吗? |
[18:46] | Janice Barry says Cornelius Sykes will be asked to host the Will Rogers dinner. | 珍妮丝巴利说康尼利斯史凯 受邀主持威尔罗杰斯的晚宴 |
[18:50] | – For sure? – They’re gonna ask him. | -真的吗? -他们要邀请他 |
[18:52] | They’re trying to stir this up again? | 他们又想惹话题? |
[18:54] | He didn’t laugh at the joke. How many more ways are there to say that? | 他听到笑话没有笑 我要怎么说大家才会了解? |
[18:58] | – You guys are friends… – We’re not friends. | -你们是朋友 -我们不是朋友 |
[19:00] | – You know each other. – We don’t hang out. | -你们认识 -我们不会一起混 |
[19:02] | Yeah, but you know him. | 对,但你认识他 |
[19:04] | – Where is he? – In New York doing stand-up. | -他在哪里? -他在纽约表演脱口秀 |
[19:06] | – Since you’ll be there… – I’ll see him. | -因为你会到那里去 -我得跟他见面 |
[19:08] | – Thank you. – He didn’t laugh at the joke. | -谢谢 -他听到笑话并没有笑 |
[19:10] | You’ll see him tomorrow night? | 你明天晚上能见他吗? |
[19:12] | – Josh. – Arrange a meeting… | -乔西 -明天安排 |
[19:14] | …tomorrow in New York with C.J. and Cornelius Sykes and no one else. | 茜洁跟康尼利斯史凯 在纽约见面,就他们两个 |
[19:17] | – Yeah. – Thank you! | -好的 -谢谢你! |
[19:20] | And I was thinking, when Marbury gets here… | 我在想 马伯利到了后 |
[19:23] | …you could encourage him to introduce me to any royal, single men he knows. | 你可以请他 介绍他认识的单身贵族男士跟我认识 |
[19:27] | That’s a good idea. I’ll do that. | 那是个好主意,我会的 |
[19:29] | – You’re not really, though. Are you? – No. | -你不会真的那么做,对吧? -对 |
[19:31] | I think many people don’t realize that Swedes have lived in Sweden… | 我认为很多人不知道 瑞典人定居在瑞典 |
[19:35] | …more than 5000 years longer than nearly any other European people. | 要比其他欧洲民族早五千年 |
[19:38] | That’s right, sir. | 没错 |
[19:39] | In fact, Gothic tribes from Sweden played a role… | 事实上来自瑞典的哥德族 在罗马帝国崩解中 |
[19:42] | …in the disintegration of the Roman Empire, did they not? | 扮演重要的角色,对吧? |
[19:45] | – They did. – So you’ve got that to answer for. | -没错 -所以你们要努力以赴 |
[19:47] | – Yes, sir. – Tom. | -是的 -汤姆 |
[19:49] | Mr. President, with pleasure I present His Excellency Peter Hans of Sweden… | 总统先生,我很荣幸介绍 瑞典的彼德汉斯阁下 |
[19:53] | …and by request of the secretary of state… | 国务�肭肽恪K |
[19:56] | …ask you to accept his credentials from King Carl Gustaf… | 接受卡尔葛斯塔夫国王 给他的到任国书 |
[19:58] | …as Sweden’s ambassador to the United States. | 他将是瑞典驻美大使 |
[20:01] | Mr. Hans, I accept your letter of credence from King Gustaf… | 汉斯先生,我接受 卡尔葛斯塔夫国王给你的到任国书 |
[20:04] | …and by affixing my signature and seal do hereby declare you to be… | 并且签名跟盖章确认,宣布 |
[20:08] | …an ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary. | 你正式成为大使 |
[20:12] | – Thank you, Mr. President. – Congratulations. | -谢谢你,总统先生 -恭喜 |
[20:15] | Mr. Ambassador, right this way. Family, please. | 大使先生,这边请 你的家人也一起来吧 |
[20:24] | – Congratulations, ambassador. – Leo. | -恭喜你,大使 -里奥 |
[20:26] | Is he still holding you responsible for the fall of the Roman Empire? | 他还是觉得你们 要为罗马帝国的崩溃负责? |
[20:30] | – Yes. – Welcome to my world. | -对 -欢迎加入我的阵容 |
[20:32] | – I’ll see you at the reception? – Yes. | -接待会见? -好的 |
[20:34] | Congratulations. | 恭喜 |
[20:35] | Mr. Ambassador, you and your family can step this way. | 大使先生,请你跟你的家人 往这边走 |
[20:39] | Sweden has a 100-percent literacy rate. A hundred percent. | 瑞典的识字率是百分之百 没有人不识字 |
[20:43] | – How do they do that? – Maybe they don’t and they can’t count. | -他们怎么做到的? -或许他们不识字所以不会数数 |
[20:46] | Maybe. | 或许吧 |
[20:48] | – I really think you should know… – Yes? | -我真的认为你应该 -什么? |
[20:50] | Nine out of the 10 criteria that the DOD lays down… | 国防部做的那些测试 |
[20:52] | …for success in these tests were met. | 十项中有九项做对了 |
[20:55] | – The tenth being? – We missed. | -第十项是? -我们打不中目标 |
[20:56] | – Damn! So close. – Mr. President… | -该死,只差一点 -总统先生 |
[20:58] | It’s that tenth one. See, if there were just nine… | 那是第十项 如果只有九项 |
[21:01] | Look, the tracking software on the KM vehicle… | 听着 KM飞弹的追踪软体 |
[21:04] | …clearly acquired a read on both the target and the decoy. | 清楚地收到目标 跟诱饵的指数 |
[21:08] | And for the first time ever, successfully rendered a clean identification. | 第一次可以成功地辨识目标 |
[21:12] | Seriously, when they were telling you that on the phone… | 说真的 当他们在电话里跟你那么说时 |
[21:15] | …how stupid did you think you’d sound saying it? | 你觉得你重复那番说话 会让你看起来有多笨? |
[21:17] | – This project needs money. – It doesn’t work. | -这项计划需要经费 -它不会成功的 |
[21:19] | Neither did phases of Apollo 11, but Neil Armstrong claims it was a success. | 阿波罗十一号未发射前也一样 但阿姆斯壮说它非常成功 |
[21:23] | – Do we need to decide this right now? – No. | -我们现在就要决定吗? -不 |
[21:26] | So about the GDC speech. Since we’re giving them exactly what they want… | 关于全球环保协会会议的演说 因为我们答应了他们的要求 |
[21:31] | …Toby thinks it’s not a bad idea to signal our independence as well. | 托比认为你最好 也告诉他我们的意思 |
[21:34] | – How? – A drop-in. | -怎么做? -轻描淡写一下 |
[21:36] | Eco-terrorism that’s gone unadmonished by the GDC. | 全球环保协会 并没有谴责环保恐怖主义 |
[21:39] | – For example? – A ski development in Colorado… | -譬如说? -科罗拉多一家正在兴建的滑雪场 |
[21:41] | …that threatened a rare Lynx was burned. | 因为威胁到大山猫的栖息地 被人纵火 |
[21:43] | And we can’t take it for granted that everyone pretty much opposes arson? | 我们不能说 大家都反对纵火吗? |
[21:47] | A year and a half ago, you took Al Caldwell’s head off… | 一年半前 你气得臭骂艾尔卡德威 |
[21:51] | …because the Christian League hadn’t publicly admonished religious extremists. | 只因为基督徒联盟 没有公开谴责宗教极端份子 |
[21:55] | It’d be hypocrisy not to hold friends to the same standard. | 不用相同的标准 对待朋友看起来太虚伪了 |
[21:59] | Yet it feels strange scoring political points by doing the right thing. | 做出正确的事累积政治实力 感觉也很奇怪 |
[22:02] | I’m victim to my own purity of character. | 我被自己 天真的个性所害 |
[22:04] | Whatever. We’ll get you some information on the Lynx… | 随便你 我们会告诉你大山猫的资料 |
[22:08] | …which is a kind of possum, I think. | 我想他是一种负鼠 |
[22:10] | It’s not a kind of a possum, so you get me that information. | 他不是负鼠 你得提供我资料 |
[22:13] | – Toby doesn’t want it in the speech? – Just a drop-in. | -托比不希望写在演讲稿里头? -你只要轻描淡写一下 |
[22:16] | – Did you hear? – About Marbury? | -你听说了吗? -关于马伯利的事吗? |
[22:18] | – Isn’t it great? – Yes, sir. | -那真的很棒吧? -没错 |
[22:20] | – I assume you’re enjoying my suffering. – Absolutely. | -看来你很喜欢我受苦 -对 |
[22:23] | – Anything else? – No. | -还有事吗? -没有了 |
[22:24] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢你,总统先生 |
[22:25] | Two thousand environmentalists are gonna try to kill me. | 两千名环保人士将会想杀了我 |
[22:28] | – We should go, sir. – They’ll come at me with vegan food. | -我们该走了,长官 -他们会拿素食砸我 |
[22:31] | Doesn’t sound like something people do. | 听起来 不像一般人会做的事 |
[22:33] | Still, I’d like you to get between me and any boiled seaweed you see coming. | 但我还是希望你 能帮我拦下那些飞过来的海草 |
[22:37] | Mr. President? | 总统先生? |
[22:39] | – Leo just talked to me. – About the GDC tonight… | -里奥刚刚跟我谈过 -关于今晚的全球环保协会会议 |
[22:41] | I’m not doing this for politics but because it’s the right thing to do. | 我这么做不是为了政治 而是因为这么做是对的 |
[22:45] | Well, I’m doing it for the politics. | 我这么做是为了政治 |
[22:47] | – A Lynx isn’t a possum. – I think it’s in the possum family. | -大山猫不是负鼠 -我以为他是负鼠家族的一员 |
[22:50] | – It’s a cat. – And we don’t have enough of those. | -他是猫科动物 -美国没有太多那样的动物 |
[22:53] | How does Sam feel about this? | 山姆有什么看法? |
[22:55] | Toby? | 托比? |
[22:56] | This isn’t Government Camp. It’s not important that everybody gets to play. | 这不是政府夏令营 不必把每个人都扯进来 |
[23:00] | I won’t tell you how to run your office. | 我不会告诉你 该怎么带手下 |
[23:03] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你 |
[23:05] | Vegan food coming at me all night long. | 素食会整晚朝我脸上飞过来 |
[23:09] | – C.J.? – Yeah. | -茜洁? -什么事? |
[23:11] | – Where you going? – New York, New York. | -你要去哪里? -纽约州的纽约市 |
[23:13] | – The town so nice they named it twice. – Why? | -那个城市美得他们要命名她两次 -你为什么去那里? |
[23:15] | I’m receiving an award from New York Women in Communications. | 我要去领 纽约杰出传播女性奖 |
[23:18] | For what? | 为什么? |
[23:19] | I discovered a comet. What do you mean? | 我发现了一颗彗星 你到底是什么意思? |
[23:21] | Past winners include Cokie Roberts, Diane Sawyer and Ms. Leslie Stahl. | 以前的得奖者包括柯琪罗伯特 黛安莎耶跟莱丝丽史塔尔 |
[23:25] | – Josh talk to you about…? – I’m meeting him after. | -乔西跟你说了? -之后我会跟他见面 |
[23:28] | And you’re briefed on the Clean Air Rehabilitation? | 你知道 大气清洁重建计划的事了? |
[23:31] | You’ll need this: “The president’s always spoken out against moderate groups… | 你得加上 “总统一直反对温和团体 |
[23:36] | …not taking responsibility for extremism… | 不为 极端主义的行为负责任 |
[23:38] | …and he won’t stop with the environmental lobby. | 他不会 被环保游说团体说服 |
[23:41] | Friends are honest with each other. “ | 朋友得对彼此坦诚” |
[23:43] | – He’s gonna do a drop-in? – Yeah. | -他会轻描淡写一下? -对 |
[23:45] | I’ll see you tomorrow night. | 明天晚上见 |
[23:47] | Hey, Toby, you wanna see the speech? Sam’s writing a good one. | 托比,你想看看演讲稿吗? 山姆写的很好 |
[23:52] | Yeah. | 对 |
[24:01] | Climate changes have accelerated… | 气候改变加剧 |
[24:03] | …glaciers are shrinking, the polar sea ice is what? | 冰河缩小 北极海的冰怎么了? |
[24:06] | – It’s thinning. – The polar sea ice is thinning… | -变薄了 -北极海的冰变薄了 |
[24:09] | …causing a rise in sea levels around the globe. | 做成全球海平面升高 |
[24:11] | What do we say when they say the proposals in C.A.R.E… | 我们该怎么回答? 当他们说C.A.R.E.的计划 |
[24:14] | …would seriously choke the auto, trucking and utility business? | 会严重打击汽车 卡车跟运输工业? |
[24:17] | Twenty-two trillion dollars in benefits versus half a trillion in compliance costs. | 二十二兆的获利 只需要付出五千亿的成本 |
[24:22] | – Public health benefits. – We’ll make it clear. | -健保利益 -我们得说清楚 |
[24:25] | – Where’s C.J.? – New York. | -茜洁在哪里? -纽约 |
[24:26] | – What’s she doing in New York? – She had a lunch. Media Women? | -她在纽约做什么? -她有午餐约会,杰出传播女性? |
[24:29] | – That was today. – She had to stay. | -那是今天的事 -她得留下来 |
[24:31] | – So it’s just me? – Yeah. Call me from the place. | -所以我得一个人上场? -对,到了打通电话给我 |
[24:34] | Yeah. | 好的 |
[24:39] | – Final draft? – Well, it’s the 12th draft. | -最后定稿? -这是第十二版 |
[24:42] | Whether it’s a final draft is really up to you. | 是不是最后定稿 得由你来决定 |
[24:44] | – Was that sass? – Yeah. | -你在跟我顶嘴吗? -对 |
[24:48] | Okay. The difference between a good speech and a great speech… | 好吧,好演讲稿 跟伟大演讲稿的差别 |
[24:52] | …is the energy with which the audience comes to their feet at the end. | 是让观众听到最后 起立鼓掌的力量 |
[24:56] | Is it polite? Is it a chore? | 那是礼貌吗?还是真心的? |
[24:57] | Are they standing up because their boss just stood up? | 他们会站起来 因为总统站了起来吗? |
[25:00] | No, you want it to come from their socks. We got half an hour. | 不,因为你要他们真心地站起来 我们还有半小时的时间 |
[25:04] | Let’s read this again. | 再念一次吧 |
[25:07] | Every time one of these tests fails… | 每次测试失败 |
[25:09] | …congressional Democrats jump on it as a reason to kill the program. | 国会的民主党 会说那是停止计划的原因 |
[25:13] | You’re not gonna turn the president around on this. | 你不能在这件事上 说服总统 |
[25:15] | I’m not gonna turn him around today and probably not tomorrow… | 今天我无法说服他 或许明天也不行 |
[25:19] | …but as long as somebody has the money… | 但只要有人有钱 |
[25:21] | …to keep trying to make it work, then I’m fine. | 可以让它试到成功为止 我就没有意见 |
[25:25] | – There’s someone here to see you. – Who? | -有人找你 -谁? |
[25:28] | – Gerald! – Oh, God. | -杰拉德! -天啊 |
[25:31] | – Gerald, old friend. – Good to see you, ambassador. | -杰拉德,老朋友 -很高兴能见到你,大使 |
[25:36] | It’s as if the gods themselves insist that we be not long apart, you and I. | 众神坚持 你跟我不该分开太久 |
[25:40] | They do seem to strongly insist upon that, yes. | 他们似乎非常坚持 |
[25:42] | Your assistant Margaret is looking positively buxom. | 你的助理玛格丽特 是个大美人 |
[25:45] | – Thank you, I’ll tell her. – Thank you. | -谢谢你,我会告诉她的 -谢谢 |
[25:47] | Yes, well done. | 好吧 |
[25:49] | – John? – My aide, Caprice. | -约翰 -这是我的助理凯皮丝 |
[25:52] | – How do you do? – Leo McGarry. | -你好? -里奥马加瑞 |
[25:54] | – Good to see you, ambassador. – God bless you, Josh. | -很高兴能见到你,大使 -愿上帝保佑你,乔西 |
[25:57] | The prayers of millions were answered. | 祈祷全都应验了 |
[25:59] | – Thank you, sir. – I have come. | -谢谢你 -我来了 |
[26:01] | – Yes. – I am Lord John Marbury with my aide. | -对 -我是约翰马伯利爵士带着助理来了 |
[26:04] | I am hereby presenting my credentials in the fervent hope… | 我是来这里呈交到任国书 希望 |
[26:07] | – We do that later with the president. – Excellent. | -你待会再交给总统吧 -太好了 |
[26:10] | I will tell you, though, that I personally welcome you… | 但我得告诉你 我非常欢迎你 |
[26:13] | …and I look forward to our new partnership. | 我期待 我们的新合作关系 |
[26:15] | – As do I. – I know we’ve had our differences… | -我也是 -我知道我们有很多歧见 |
[26:18] | …but I think you know I respect you. | 但我想你知道我尊重你 |
[26:21] | I congratulate you on this auspicious occasion. | 在这个幸运的场合里 我要恭喜你 |
[26:23] | – In fact, your arrival couldn’t be better. – How so? | -事实上你到的正是时候 -怎么说? |
[26:27] | Leo wants the president to give the NMD more time. | 里奥希望总统 能多给导弹防御体系一点时间 |
[26:30] | You’re an expert. I hope I can count on your support. | 你是专家 我希望你能支持我 |
[26:32] | – Well, you’ll not have it. – Why not? | -我不会支持你的 -为什么? |
[26:35] | The NMD is an absurdly wasteful military boondoggle… | 导弹防御体系 是在浪费军事经费 |
[26:37] | …that’ll never produce a working missile. | 它无法制造出有用的飞弹 |
[26:39] | It violates any number of elements of the ABM treaty… | 它违反了 反弹道飞弹条约数条规定 |
[26:42] | …and any argument you make in its defense will surely be moronic. | 任何对这计划的辩护 也是白痴的 |
[26:46] | – Détente. – I’m sorry, Gerald. | -说的好 -对不起,杰拉德 |
[26:48] | – We’ll have this out. – Excellent. | -我们别谈这件事吧 -太好了 |
[26:50] | Let’s go get you knighted or whatever the hell it is we do. | 赶快帮你办到任典礼吧 把该做的事做一做 |
[27:07] | – Hey. – Hey, how you doing? | -嘿 -嘿,你好吗? |
[27:09] | – Not bad. – Thanks for taking the time. | -还不错 -谢谢你抽空跟我见面 |
[27:11] | – Yeah, I gotta get back pretty soon. – I won’t take long. | -我得赶快回去 -我不会花太多时间 |
[27:18] | – You wanna stay for the show? – I gotta get the 7:00 shuttle. | -你想留下来看我表演吗? -我得赶七点钟的巴士 |
[27:23] | – You want something to drink? – Club soda. | -你要点饮料吗? -给我汽水 |
[27:26] | Alicia, can I get some club soda? | 艾莉西雅,给我一杯汽水 |
[27:28] | – I haven’t seen the movie. – You should see it. It’s good. | -我没有看电影 -你该去看的,它很棒 |
[27:31] | – That’s what everyone’s saying. – Well, I appreciate that. | -大家都那么说 -谢谢夸奖 |
[27:35] | So you know this is about the Will Rogers dinner. | 你知道 这跟威尔罗杰斯的晚宴有关 |
[27:38] | Yeah. | 对 |
[27:39] | They’re gonna ask you to host… | 他们要邀你当主持人 |
[27:41] | …and, obviously, the president’s gonna be there. | 很明显地,总统也会去 |
[27:46] | – We appreciate the support… – You want me to say no. | -我们谢谢你的支持 -你要我拒绝他们 |
[27:50] | We think the press will go back two years and bring up… | 我们认为媒体 会提起两年前 |
[27:53] | – Let them. – I don’t want to. | -让他们去提吧 -我不要 |
[27:55] | Now, you know how I feel about you. You know I don’t mean you disrespect… | 你知道我对你的感觉 我无意对你不敬 |
[27:59] | – You don’t? – No. | -是吗? -没错 |
[28:04] | I’ve raised money for you, I’ve registered voters for you… | 我为你们募款 还帮你们拉票 |
[28:07] | …I’ve done commercials for you and I’ve voted for you. | 我为你们拍广告 我投了你们一票 |
[28:11] | Because of something I never did wrong two years ago… | 因为两年前一件我没做错的事 |
[28:14] | …you don’t wanna be on the dais with me. | 你们不想跟我同台 |
[28:16] | It takes a special kind of arrogance not to think that that’s disrespectful. | 只有笨蛋 才会觉得那不是不敬 |
[28:21] | Thanks, Alicia. | 谢谢你,艾莉西雅 |
[28:25] | Make your case. I gotta be funny in a while. | 说吧,我之后要去娱乐人 |
[28:29] | – It missed by 137 miles. – Yes. | -它差了一百三十七里 -对 |
[28:31] | If it missed by 37 fewer miles, it would have still missed by 100 miles. | 就算它只差少了三十七里 它还是差了一百里 |
[28:35] | – It doesn’t work. – That depends what your definition is. | -它是不会成功的 -那得看你的定义是什么 |
[28:38] | My definition is precisely the same as everyone else’s. | 我的定义跟其他人一样 |
[28:41] | – John. – Mr. President. | -约翰 -总统先生 |
[28:43] | – It’s good to have you. – Your servant, as always. | -很高兴见到你 -随时听候您的吩咐 |
[28:46] | – What made you agree to the post? – I suppose it’s possible I was drunk. | -你为什么答应接下这份工作? -我猜是因为我喝醉了 |
[28:49] | A reasonable bet. | 蛮合理的 |
[28:51] | I’ve gotta go across town… | 我得到另一区去 |
[28:52] | …and give an address on global warming and our planet’s future. | 针对温室效应 跟地球的未来发表演说 |
[28:56] | – You’re not interested, right? – Good God, no. | -你没有兴趣,对吧? -天啊,没错 |
[28:59] | Stay here and fight with Leo about something. | 待在这里 跟里奥好好吵一架 |
[29:01] | I’ll be back in an hour. We’ll do your thing and then enjoy the reception. | 我一小时内回来 收你的到任国书,然后去接待会 |
[29:05] | – Excellent. – Indeed. | -太棒了 -没错 |
[29:09] | – An hour, did he say? – Yes. | -他说一小时吗? -对 |
[29:10] | I’ll need some amusement. | 我需要一些娱乐 |
[29:12] | – Good evening, Your Lordship. – Excellent. | -晚安,阁下 -太棒了 |
[29:15] | – Corey. – Hang on. Let me finish. | -柯利 -等一下,让我把话说完 |
[29:17] | – It was not a benign joke. – C.J…. | -那不是个幼稚的笑话 -茜洁 |
[29:18] | You don’t tell benign jokes. | 你不说幼稚的笑话 |
[29:20] | It was a joke about New York cops shooting black men. | 那是纽约警察 枪杀黑人的笑话 |
[29:23] | I’m a black man. I’m in a room full of rich Democrats. | 我是黑人 房间里挤满了有钱的民主党员 |
[29:26] | You thought I was gonna talk about airline food? | 你以为我得谈 飞机上的食物吗? |
[29:29] | It was a political fundraiser in the heat of a national campaign. | 那是在竞选最激烈时 举办的政治募款餐会 |
[29:32] | You weren’t doing a set at Catch a Rising Star. | 你不是在新秀选拔赛中表演 |
[29:35] | It’s been years since I worked there. | 我在那里工作很多年了 |
[29:37] | You made the joke. As inoffensive as you think it was… | 你说了笑话 虽然你觉得无伤大雅 |
[29:40] | …there was enormous pressure on him to disavow your remarks, and he did not. | 但很多人对他施压 要他踢开你,他没有那么做 |
[29:44] | And I’m supposed to feel good about that? | 我应该觉得很高兴吗? |
[29:46] | That he didn’t disavow me? That I wasn’t disavowed? | 因为他没有踢开我? 因为我没有被踢开 |
[29:49] | We were courting law enforcement. Don’t be naive. | 我们谈的是执法人员 别太天真了 |
[29:52] | You were also courting the black vote. I’m not naive. | 你们还谈到了黑人选票 我并不天真 |
[29:56] | What did you expect us to do? | 你要我们怎么做? |
[30:00] | I expected that when I was called in any number of places… | 我希望当人们叫我 |
[30:03] | …a Hollywood sleaze, that you might have said a few words on my behalf. | 好莱坞痞子的时候 你会帮我说几句好话 |
[30:07] | I expected you were gonna say, “We in the Bartlet campaign… | 我以为你会说 “我们是巴特勒团队 |
[30:10] | …don’t believe Cornelius Sykes is a Hollywood sleaze. | 别相信康尼利斯史凯 是好莱坞痞子 |
[30:12] | We believe he’s a world-class humorist and millions of Americans agree. | 我们相信他是世界一流的搞笑专家 数百万美国人都那么认为 |
[30:16] | We believe his humor can be disconcerting to some… | 我们相信他的幽默感 会打动一些人 |
[30:19] | …but those who are making noise now are feigning their concern… | 但现在皱起眉头 假装担心的人 |
[30:22] | …in an effort to frighten white men. “ | 是想要吓白人” |
[30:25] | But what you said was, “He didn’t laugh at the joke. “ | 但你却说 “他听到那个笑话没有笑” |
[30:32] | – Corey… – He did laugh at the joke. | -柯利 -他听到那个笑话有笑 |
[30:36] | – Yeah. – He laughed at the joke, C.J. | -对 -他真的笑了,茜洁 |
[30:40] | I’ve been doing this 20 years. You don’t think I’d know if I had him? | 我干这一行二十年了 你以为我不知道他笑了没吗? |
[30:44] | I killed that night. | 那晚我表现的很精彩 |
[30:48] | And that was a very big deal for me… | 对我来说那是件大事 |
[30:51] | …to play in front of that audience, to get that man to laugh. | 我可以在观众前表演 把他给逗笑了 |
[30:55] | And the next day, my parents read in the paper… | 隔天,我父母看到报纸 |
[31:00] | …that I am Hollywood sleaze. | 我是个好莱坞痞子 |
[31:04] | But that’s okay, because the candidate didn’t think I was funny. | 但是没关系 因为候选人不觉得有趣 |
[31:12] | I understand. | 我了解 |
[31:16] | I don’t wanna cause any trouble for the president. | 我不希望让总统困扰 |
[31:20] | You knew that when you walked in here. | 当你走进来时你就知道了 |
[31:24] | I’ll pass on the dinner. | 我不会去主持晚宴 |
[31:26] | I’ll tell them… | 我会告诉他们 |
[31:28] | …it’s because I couldn’t get out of a booking. | 我没办法推掉别的邀约 |
[31:32] | But the president laughed at the joke, C.J. | 但总统真的笑了,茜洁 |
[31:35] | I killed that night. | 那晚我表演的很精彩 |
[31:39] | You did. | 没错 |
[31:45] | Okay. I gotta go. | 好了,我该走了 |
[31:54] | I’ll see you next time. | 后会有期 |
[31:56] | – Is the president off-stage? – Just about. | -总统下台了吗? -就快了 |
[31:58] | – Anyone know how it’s going? – Toby? It’s Sam. | -知道情况如何吗? -托比?是山姆 |
[32:09] | – He admonished them. – Sam… | -他教训他们 -山姆 |
[32:10] | He went off the speech at the end and slapped them down… | 他结束演讲后 教训他们 |
[32:13] | …for not speaking out on eco-terrorism. He just flew off the speech… | 没有谴责环保恐怖主义 他脱稿演出 |
[32:17] | – Listen… – Something about a ski resort… | -听着 -还提到滑雪场的事 |
[32:19] | – Are you listening? – Talk to me. | -你在听吗? -说吧 |
[32:21] | Say, ” Friends are honest with each other. | 就说 “朋友得对彼此坦诚 |
[32:23] | The president’s spoken out on moderate groups not taking responsibility… | 总统谴责 温和团体不负责任 |
[32:27] | …and he won’t stop with the environmental lobby. “ | 他不会被环保游说团体说服” |
[32:30] | – Okay. – You got that? | -好吧 -你记下了吗? |
[32:33] | What’s happening? | 发生了什么事? |
[32:35] | Sam, what’s happening? | 山姆,发生了什么事? |
[32:37] | They’re not standing. | 他们没有站起来 |
[32:46] | – So you’re actual royalty? – Yes. | -你真的是贵族吗? -对 |
[32:49] | It’s not just an honorary thing? | 那不只是光荣的象征吗? |
[32:51] | No. In fact, there’s little honor attached to it at all. | 不,事实上 那跟光荣毫无关系 |
[32:54] | Tell me about yourself. | 跟我谈谈你自己吧 |
[32:55] | My mother was a descendant of the third of the nine children of Queen Victoria. | 我妈妈是维多莉亚女王 第九个孩子的第三代子孙 |
[32:59] | Victoria was the granddaughter of George III… | 维多莉亚 是乔治三世的孙女 |
[33:01] | …who was the great-grandson of George I. | 他是乔治一世的曾孙 |
[33:04] | George I was the great-nephew of Charles I… | 乔治一世 是查理一世的侄孙 |
[33:07] | …who was the son of James I. | 他是詹姆士一世的儿子 |
[33:09] | And James’ mother was Mary Queen of Scots. | 詹姆士的妈妈 是苏格兰的犸丽女王 |
[33:14] | – And are you and Caprice an item? – No. | -你跟凯皮丝是一对吗? -不 |
[33:18] | – Mr. Ambassador? – Is he back? | -大使先生? -他回来了? |
[33:19] | He’s back. He’s receiving Her Excellency Renee Ernesto of Argentina… | 对,他正在接见 阿根廷的蕾妮恩斯托阁下 |
[33:23] | – … and asks for your patience. – He shall have it. | -请你耐心等待 -我会等的 |
[33:30] | – C.J. – Yeah. | -茜洁 -什么事? |
[33:32] | – You just get back? – Yeah. | -你刚回来? -对 |
[33:33] | – You heard what happened? – Yeah. Here’s what it is: | -你听说了吗? -对,我们得说 |
[33:36] | “The president’s spoken out on moderate groups… | “总统一直反对温和团体 |
[33:38] | …not taking responsibility for extremism. | 不为极端主义的行为负责任 |
[33:40] | He won’t stop with the environmental lobby. | 他不会被环保游说团体说服 |
[33:42] | Friends are honest with each other. “ | 朋友得对彼此坦诚” |
[33:44] | Sam? | 山姆? |
[33:46] | – Have you spoken to Toby? – When? | -你跟托比谈过吗? -什么时候? |
[33:48] | – Since after the speech tonight? – No. | -今晚演说结束后? -没有 |
[33:51] | – Okay. – They’re setting up for the reception? | -好吧 -接待会要开始了? |
[33:54] | Yeah. | 对 |
[33:56] | Sixty billion dollars can be spent on other things. | 六百亿的预算 可以花在别的事情上 |
[33:59] | I’m all for retention pay, health benefits, procurement. | 我全力支持预备金 健保费,采购费 |
[34:03] | I’m talking about Abrams tanks and Apache helicopters, which work. | 我指的是亚伯拉罕坦克 跟阿帕契直升机,它们都很好用 |
[34:06] | An Apache helicopter will not stop the Shahab-3 long-range Stiletto… | 阿帕契直升机阻止不了 流星三号长期飞弹 |
[34:11] | …or a North Korean ICBM. | 或北韩的洲际弹道飞弹 |
[34:13] | Well, so far, neither can anything else. Hey, Sam? | 到目前为止没有人能阻止它们 山姆? |
[34:17] | I’m going back in there. | 我要回去了 |
[34:22] | – Have you been getting questions? – I’m sorry? | -有没有人问你问题? -你说什么? |
[34:25] | – Have you been getting questions? – Yeah. | -有没有人问你问题? -对 |
[34:27] | – From the press, or…? – The press will be tomorrow. | -从媒体或? -媒体会是在明天 |
[34:30] | – Who’s asking…? – The chairman of the GDC… | -谁问? -全球环保协会主席 |
[34:33] | …four congressmen, the secretary of the interior, who’d you think? | 四位国会议员 内政部长,你觉得呢? |
[34:36] | – What’d you…? – I said, “Friends have to be honest. “ | -你怎么? -我说: “朋友得对彼此坦诚” |
[34:40] | I said exactly what you told me to say, which is what C.J. told me to say… | 我照你告诉我的话去说 茜洁也是那么告诉我的 |
[34:44] | …which is funny considering C.J. was in New York and didn’t speak to you. | 那真的很有趣 因为茜洁在纽约,她没跟你说过话 |
[34:48] | It’s like there were people who knew it was gonna happen. | 看来有人知道 会发生什么事 |
[34:51] | – Sam… – Get away from me. | -山姆 -离我远一点 |
[35:06] | – Hey, Sam. – Can I get in for just a minute? | -嘿,山姆 -我能进去一下吗? |
[35:11] | He’s pretty tight right now. I don’t think I can get you in. | 他现在很忙 我没办法帮你安排 |
[35:24] | Well, yes, certainly. There’s Edward, Earl of Ulster. | 当然 还有阿尔斯太伯爵爱德华 |
[35:28] | He’s the son of Richard, Duke of Gloucester… | 他是格拉斯特公爵 理查的儿子 |
[35:30] | …who’s the son of Henry, Duke of Gloucester. | 他是格拉斯特公爵 亨利的儿子 |
[35:32] | – Edward, Earl of Ulster? – Yes. | -阿尔斯太伯爵爱德华? -对 |
[35:35] | – You think he’d like me? – Do you date younger men? | -你觉得他会喜欢我吗? -你会跟比你年轻的男人约会吗? |
[35:37] | – Sure, how old is he? – Five. | -当然会,他几岁? -五岁 |
[35:39] | Well, let’s stick a pin in that for a moment and move on. | 暂时就先锁定他吧 再跟我谈谈其他人 |
[35:42] | – Hello. | – Hello. -哈�� -嗨 |
[35:44] | – Am I interrupting? – Not at all. | -我打扰你们了吗? -没有 |
[35:46] | Ambassador Marbury was just telling me how royal men are schooled in courtship. | 马伯利大使正在告诉我 贵族男人怎么追求另一半 |
[35:50] | King George III sailed his bride up the Thames to music specially composed. | 乔治国王三世,带他的新娘 到泰晤士河听专门为她写的歌 |
[35:55] | That was years before we opened a can of whup-ass on them at Yorktown. | 那是我们在约克镇 打败他们好几年前的事 |
[36:01] | How can you look at North Korea, which 24 months ago… | 你怎么能看着北韩 在二十四个月前 |
[36:04] | – … fired a Taepodong missile…? – Which failed. | -发射大浦洞飞弹? -他们失败了 |
[36:06] | And with some modifications, it’ll be able to reach Alaska. | 只要稍做修改 它可以击中阿拉斯加 |
[36:09] | I don’t live in Alaska. I live in England, which is not protected by the shield. | 我不住在阿拉斯加,我住在英国 那里没有飞弹防御网 |
[36:13] | Not that anybody else is at the moment, either. | 现在也没有人 住在飞弹防御网里 |
[36:16] | You forgot that we’re both signatories to the ’72 ABM Treaty… | 你忘了我们都签署了 72年的反弹道飞弹条约 |
[36:19] | …of which this shield is in violation. | 里面规定建立 飞弹防御网是违法的 |
[36:21] | You forgot it’ll compel China to strengthen their nuclear arsenal. | 你忘了那会让中国有借口 加强他们的核能武器 |
[36:25] | You forgot European allies have strong reservations about the shield. | 你忘了欧洲盟国 反对建立飞弹防御网 |
[36:28] | And you forgot that it doesn’t work. | 你忘了那是行不通的 |
[36:30] | – You know what I didn’t forget? – What? | -你知道我没有忘记什么吗? -什么? |
[36:32] | That we opened up a big can of whup-ass on you at Yorktown. | 我们在约克镇 痛宰了你们 |
[36:36] | – All right. – Leo. | -好吧 -里奥 |
[36:38] | – Excuse me. | – Excuse me. -对不起 -对不起 |
[36:42] | I’m gonna correspond with the Earl of Ulster once he learns how to read. | 阿尔斯太伯爵识字后 我要跟他通信 |
[36:46] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[36:53] | Here you go. | 这是你的 |
[36:56] | – No. No, Alice, I got it. – It’s all right. | -不,爱丽丝,我来付 -没关系 |
[36:58] | – No, I got it. – You want a beer? | -不,我来付 -你要喝啤酒吗? |
[37:01] | Yeah, thanks. | 好的,谢谢 |
[37:07] | You don’t ever go into the Oval Office mad. | 你不该大发脾气 跑到椭圆形办公室 |
[37:09] | No. No. No. | 不 |
[37:12] | No, Sam, you don’t ever go in there mad. | 不,山姆 你不该大发脾气跑到那里去 |
[37:15] | I think the president’s remarks were ill-advised, to say the least. | 我觉得总统的演说 说好听一点,是被误导了 |
[37:19] | You’re wrong. | 你错了 |
[37:21] | The drop-in’s the story now, not the energy package. | 那轻描淡写现在是话题 不是能源方案 |
[37:23] | It doesn’t need to be a story, it’s gonna be a law. | 它不必成为话题 它应该成为法律 |
[37:26] | We don’t need the environmental lobby? | 我们不需要环保游说团体? |
[37:28] | – I don’t think we’re gonna lose them. – I think you’re tragically misguided. | -我不认为我们会失去他们 -我想你完全被误导了 |
[37:33] | Most environmentalists are absolutists who will use this insult… | 大部份环保人士都是绝对主义份子 他们会利用这次侮辱事件 |
[37:36] | …to pull their support undercover we cut a deal with Detroit. | 暗自支持 我们在底特律驳回的法案 |
[37:39] | Well, then they can grow up, Sam. “Use this insult”? | 那么他们得成熟一点,山姆 “利用这次侮辱事件”? |
[37:43] | They got their energy package and the president at their dinner. | 他们有他们的能源方案 总统去参加他们的晚宴 |
[37:46] | They should shut up! | 他们应该闭嘴! |
[37:47] | Well, you should explain it to them just that way, Toby… | 你应该那样子 跟他们解释,托比 |
[37:50] | …because they’re really pretty receptive to that argument. | 因为他们真的 很能接受那样的争议 |
[37:53] | When they see the alternatives on the ballot, they get receptive fast. | 当他们看到投票时 出现异议,他们很快就能接受 |
[37:57] | Was there anything else, or can I sit here now? | 你还有什么事吗? 我想一个人静一静 |
[38:02] | – You can sit here. See you tomorrow. – Yeah. | -你可以坐下来,明天见 -对 |
[38:08] | I see opposition polling that scares the hell out of me. | 我看到对手的民调 那把我吓得半死 |
[38:10] | I see internal numbers that change by the hour. | 我看到内政民调 在每小时都有改变 |
[38:13] | – I listen to economists that tell me… – You left me out. | -我听到经济学家告诉我 -你将我排出在外 |
[38:19] | You think I made you lose on the leadership breakfast? | 你以为是我害你 在领袖早餐会上一败涂地吗? |
[38:22] | – I got creamed. – Because of me? | -我被骗了 -那是我害的吗? |
[38:23] | – I didn’t want the discussion! – Then why are you here talking to me? | -我不想谈那件事! -那你为什么要跟我说话? |
[38:27] | Now you want the discussion. | 现在你想谈了 |
[38:30] | You may think they deserved it… | 你觉得他们是活该 |
[38:31] | …but the cynicism of attacking friends for political protection offends them. | 但为了政治因素 攻击朋友会惹毛他们 |
[38:36] | And it offends me. | 它惹毛了我 |
[38:38] | It offends you, and there’s nothing I can do to make you feel better about that. | 它惹毛了你,我没办法 让你好过一点 |
[38:44] | We can’t govern if we don’t win. | 如果选举输了,我们就无法执政 |
[38:49] | You should’ve talked to me about the numbers more. | 你应该多跟我谈谈那些数字 |
[38:53] | Yeah. | 对 |
[38:56] | – Anyway, I have this beer so… – Yeah. | -我点了啤酒,所以 -对 |
[39:00] | – I was gonna sit down and drink it. – Yeah. | -我只是想坐下来喝酒 -对 |
[39:06] | – We don’t have to talk or anything. – Yeah. | -我们不必说话 -对 |
[39:19] | That was Chairwoman Shelly Loobis I just got off the phone with. | 我刚刚跟 雪莉路比斯主席通过电话 |
[39:24] | Before that was a conference call with Jamie Schwartz… | 之前我还跟 环境防卫基金会的 |
[39:27] | …of the Environmental Defense Fund, Bryce Davis from the Sierra Club… | 洁咪史瓦兹 西岳山社的布鲁斯戴维斯 |
[39:30] | …and people from the Sub-Committee on Energy and Environment. | 以及能源环保子委员会的人 通过电话 |
[39:35] | The number of different words they had for “manipulative”… | 他们一致说这是 “故意设计的” |
[39:38] | …there’s no way they didn’t have a thesaurus with them. | 相信他们已经互相讨论过了 |
[39:42] | Bryce Davis said if I keep this up, he’s gonna encourage Seth Gillette… | 布鲁斯戴维斯说如果我再这样 他会鼓励赛斯吉利特 |
[39:46] | – … in a third-party bid. – What’d you say? | -推动第三党的力量 -你怎么说? |
[39:48] | I said for $50 and a ride to the airport, Gillette could have the job right now. | 我说只要有人出五十块跟送我去机场 吉利特便可以得到这工作 |
[39:52] | – What’d you say? – I reminded them it isn’t a good idea… | -你怎么说? -我提醒他们威胁总统 |
[39:55] | …to threaten the president. Nancy! | 不是个好主意 南西! |
[39:57] | I wanna know when you’re pushing me towards the missile shield… | 我要知道,当你尝试 说服我答应建立飞弹防御网 |
[40:01] | …it’s not because you want me to look strong on defense. | 不是因为你希望 我看起来很支持国防 |
[40:04] | – Yes, sir? – Tell Charlie I’m ready. | -什么事?长官 -告诉查理我准备好了 |
[40:06] | – I’m pushing you because it works. – Based on what? | -我会游说你是因为它真的有用 -你为什么那么说? |
[40:10] | Confidence, and the understanding that there’s been a time… | 我有信心 了解所有很好用的东西 |
[40:13] | …in the evolution of everything that works when it didn’t work. | 在研发的时候 都曾经不管用过 |
[40:17] | You know, can I say this? Why don’t we just… | 我能这么说吗? 我们何不 |
[40:19] | …give the $60 billion to North Korea in exchange for not bombing us? | 把六百亿送给北韩 请他们不要炸我们? |
[40:24] | It’s hard to believe that you’re not on the National Security Council. | 很难相信 你没有到国家安全委员会工作 |
[40:27] | I feel they’re missing an important voice. | 我觉得他们差了一个人的意见 |
[40:29] | – Mr. President. – Good evening. | -总统先生 -晚安 |
[40:31] | John, let me explain why you’ve been waiting. | 约翰,让我解释 为什么你等了那么久 |
[40:34] | I have to see people in the order they arrive and you got beat by Argentina. | 我得依照抵达顺序接见所有人 你输给阿根廷人了 |
[40:38] | You lost out on preferred seating for the State of the Union. | 你们在联合国 输掉你们喜欢的位置 |
[40:42] | – I have to attend it? – Yes. | -我得参加吗? -对 |
[40:44] | – Well, then attend it I shall. – Okay. Tom. | -好吧 -好了,汤姆 |
[40:46] | It is with pleasure that I present Lord John Marbury of Great Britain. | 我很荣幸介绍 英国的约翰马伯利阁下 |
[40:51] | And by request of the secretary of state, ask you to accept his credentials… | 国务�肭肽憬邮堋K |
[40:55] | …from Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth II… | 伊莉莎白二世女王 给他的到任国书 |
[40:57] | …as Great Britain’s ambassador to the United States. | 他将是英国驻美大使 |
[41:03] | Where are you on the missile shield? | 你对飞弹防御网有什么看法? |
[41:05] | Well, I think it’s dangerous, illegal… | 我觉得它危险,违法 |
[41:08] | …fiscally irresponsible, technologically unsound… | 不负责任,不先进 |
[41:11] | …and a threat to all people everywhere. | 对所有人类是个威胁 |
[41:16] | I think the world invented a nuclear weapon. | 我想世界发明了 核子武器 |
[41:19] | I think the world should see if it can’t invent something to make it irrelevant. | 人们应该了解 他们不能发明东西后又丢下它不用 |
[41:24] | Well, that’s the right sentiment. | 说的对 |
[41:27] | And certainly a credible one from a man who’s fought in a war. | 更难能可贵的是 这是一个参加过战争的人说的 |
[41:31] | You think you can make it stop? | 你觉得你能阻止它吗? |
[41:34] | Well, you can’t. | 你不能 |
[41:36] | We build a shield, and somebody will build a better missile. | 我们做了防御网 有人会做出更棒的飞弹 |
[41:42] | Well, it’s a discussion for serious men. | 我们应该 认真讨论这件事 |
[41:45] | They say a statesman is a politician who’s been dead for 15 years. | 他们说政治家 是死了十五年的政客 |
[41:49] | I’d like us to be statesmen while we’re still alive. | 我希望我们能在生前 就成为政治家 |
[41:52] | Lord Marbury, I accept your letter of credence from Queen Elizabeth… | 马伯利爵士,我接受 伊莉莎白女王给你的到任国书 |
[41:55] | …and by affixing my signature and seal… | 并且签名跟盖章确认 |
[41:57] | …declare you to be an ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary. | 宣布你正式成为大使 |
[42:04] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你,总统先生 |
[42:06] | Congratulations. | 恭喜 |
[42:10] | – God bless America. – God save the queen. | -神佑美国 -天佑女王 |
[42:13] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 |