时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | I didn’t make the decision to run again. I wouldn’t do that without you. | 我没有决定竞选连任 没有你我不会那么做 |
[00:11] | Sometimes I wonder if I listened to you… | 有时候我会想 当初要是我听你的话 |
[00:14] | …would I be president right now? You ever wonder that? | 我现在会是总统吗? 你想过那一点吗? |
[00:18] | No, sir. I know it for sure. | 不,长官,我非常确定 |
[00:19] | – Do you get that you have MS? – Abbey. | -你知道你得了多发性硬化症吗? -艾碧 |
[00:22] | Do you get that your own immune system is shredding your brain? | 你知道你自己的免疫系统 会摧毁你的脑部吗? |
[00:26] | I’ve had one episode in two years. | 两年来我只发作过一次 |
[00:28] | Mr. President, is there anything we need to talk about? | 总统先生 我们需要谈一谈吗? |
[00:33] | Not yet, okay? | 还不行,好吗? 史塔克豪斯的议事拖延 |
[00:38] | …”teaspoon of salt, one cup of corn flake crumbs…. “ | “一茶匙的�Q 一杯玉米片碎屑” |
[00:41] | Dear Dad: First of all, happy birthday. | 亲爱的爸爸,先祝你生日快乐 |
[00:45] | Second of all, let me explain why I’m not on my way there right now. | 其次我得跟你解释 为什么我没有在回去的路上 |
[00:48] | You’re not going to believe this, but it’s because of a filibuster. | 你一定不会相信 但那是因为议事拖延的关系 |
[00:52] | A filibuster that no one ever saw coming. | 没有人预计会发生的议事拖延 |
[00:54] | Not the Senate leadership, not the party leadership, and not me. | 参议院领袖 政党领袖,跟我也没有预计得到 |
[00:58] | And if you’re angry at me, well, you’ve got a lot of company. | 如果你生我的气 很多人都跟你一样 |
[01:01] | I’m going to explain all this. | 我会好好跟你解释 |
[01:03] | Right now, it’s Friday night and everyone’s trying to get out the door… | 现在是星期五晚上 大家都想离开 |
[01:06] | …only I won’t let them. | 但我不会让他们那么做 霍华史塔克豪斯参议员 民主党,明尼苏达州 |
[01:10] | …”24 shrimp yield approximately four to six servings…. “ | “二十四只虾子 大约可分成四到六份” |
[01:14] | This isn’t happening. | 这是不可能的 |
[01:19] | – C.J.! – Yeah. | -茜洁! -什么事? |
[01:20] | – What is he doing? – It’s a recipe for deep-fried shrimp. | -他在做什么? -这是炸虾的食谱 |
[01:23] | – What’s he still doing up there? – He’s got a recipe book. | -他还在那里做什么? -他带了一本食谱 |
[01:26] | – How long will it go? – I don’t know. | -还要多久? -我不知道 |
[01:28] | How many recipes are there? | 到底有多少份食谱? |
[01:29] | – All together? – Yeah. | -一共吗? -对 |
[01:31] | I can’t cook, but I think there are, like, 20 or 30. | 我不会作菜 但我想应该有二十到三十份 |
[01:34] | – You’re screwing with me? – Yeah. | -你在整我吗? -对 |
[01:35] | I’m about to miss the 7:30 shuttle. | 我要错过七点半的巴士了 |
[01:37] | If I miss the 8:30, I miss the train to Sag Harbor. | 如果我错过八点半的巴士 我就搭不上到赛格港的火车了 |
[01:40] | – Spend the night in New York. – I’ve only got 2 nights. | -在纽约过夜吧 -我只能过两夜 |
[01:42] | You gotta see this house. It’s a Frank Lloyd Wright. | 你得看看这间房子 它是法兰克洛伊莱特的作品 |
[01:45] | – Isn’t it cold in Sag Harbor? – We wear sweaters. | -赛格港很冷吗? -我们都穿毛衣 |
[01:48] | It’s a Tommy Hilfiger ad. | 那是汤米希尔菲格的广告 |
[01:49] | He can’t last forever. | 他没办法一直撑下去 |
[01:51] | – He’s got 30 recipes he can still read. – There are more recipes than that. | -他还有三十份食谱没读完 -食谱多得是 |
[01:54] | Who cares? He’s blowing my weekend in the Hamptons. | 谁在乎呢? 他搞砸了我在汉普顿的周末 |
[01:57] | He doesn’t know about the sweaters. | 他不知道毛衣的事 |
[01:59] | The reason they needed to stay is, after the filibuster’s over, there’ll be a vote. | 他们需要留下来的原因是 解决掉议事拖延后就得投票 |
[02:03] | And once they vote, I need my spin boys. | 一开始投票 我需要跑腿的人 |
[02:06] | – C.J. – I know. | -茜洁 -我知道 |
[02:07] | – Who gave him the recipe book? – We can’t blame this on the recipe book. | -谁给他食谱? -别把这件事怪在食谱上 |
[02:11] | Plus, I now know the secret to asparagus Chantilly… | 此外我还学懂了作 香堤伊芦笋的秘�Z |
[02:13] | …is a quarter cup of cream. | 在于四分之一杯奶油 |
[02:15] | I’m going to Port St. Lucie, which may not mean anything to you… | 我要到圣路西港 或许你觉得无聊 |
[02:18] | – … but it’s the spring training home… – New York Jets. You told me. | -但它是春训的大本营 -纽约喷射机队,你告诉过我 |
[02:22] | You can watch basketball on TV. | 你可以从电视上看篮球转播 |
[02:24] | Yes, except the Knicks are a basketball team. | 对,但纽约尼克队才是篮球队 |
[02:26] | The Jets are a football team, and Port St. Lucie… | 喷射机队是足球队 而圣路西港 |
[02:29] | – … is the spring training home of the… – Mets! Yes, damn it, I’m inadequate. | -是春训基地,它属于 -大都会队,对,该死,我孤陋寡闻 |
[02:32] | A weekend at spring training, C.J. | 花一个周末看春训,茜洁 |
[02:34] | Mike Piazza is gonna be standing in the batting cage. | 麦克皮亚萨会站在打击区 |
[02:38] | He’s gonna turn and see me, he’s gonna say, ” Dude. “ | 他会转过来看着我 他会说: “老哥” |
[02:42] | I wouldn’t want you to miss a legitimate dude sighting. | 我不会让你错过 那样子的精彩好戏 |
[02:45] | – So I can take off? – No. | -我可以离开吗? -不行 |
[02:48] | Why do I need the spin? | 为什么我需要跑腿的人? |
[02:49] | Because it’s a bipartisan bill and I’m all for it as long as we get the credit. | 因为那是两党协商的法案 只要功劳归于我们,我一定会全力支持 |
[02:54] | So I’ve taken the press corps hostage. | 所以我将媒体抓来当人质 |
[02:56] | – C.J.! – Guys, I’m sorry, but you know what? | -茜洁! -对不起,但你们知道吗? |
[02:59] | Listen. Seriously. | 认真听我说 |
[03:00] | You’re looking at democracy at work. It’s a beautiful thing. | 这是民主的过程 那是件美好的事 |
[03:04] | How much more beauty can we be expecting tonight? | 今晚我们还要看这美好的事多久? |
[03:07] | – I wouldn’t think it’d be much longer. – He’s got a recipe book. | -我想应该马上就会好 -他带了食谱 |
[03:10] | How many recipes can there be? | 里面会有几份食谱?20份?30份? |
[03:12] | I’m supposed to have dinner with my girlfriend. She’s gonna kill me. | 我应该跟我女朋友吃晚餐 她会杀了我 |
[03:15] | This is just the thing that can cleanse the palate of a relationship that’s gone stale. | 这样的事可以让沉闷的关系 再度燃起活力 |
[03:20] | We’ve been going out for 3 weeks. | 我们交往才三个星期 |
[03:22] | And she’s already bitching about dinner? Lose her. | 她已经会为晚餐的事生气?甩了她 |
[03:25] | – C.J.! – Listen up, everybody! | -茜洁! -大家听着! |
[03:27] | This was unforeseen. Obviously, he’s gotta finish sometime. | 这是个意外 很明显地,他迟早会读完 |
[03:31] | When he does, there’ll be a vote immediately. | 他读完后,马上要进行投票 |
[03:33] | Then the president will make his calls, staff will be available for comment… | 然后总统会做出宣布 白宫的人员会发表意见 |
[03:37] | …and most important, you will write about it. | 最重要的是 你们得写下所有细节 |
[03:40] | In the meantime, I say pizza for everybody. Who’s with me? | 同时,我建议点披萨 有谁赞成? |
[03:44] | Excellent! | 太棒了! |
[03:48] | We’re gonna need a truckload of pizza and some Cuervo 1800 if we’ve got it. | 我们需要一卡车的披萨 可以的话弄点龙舌兰酒 |
[03:53] | – How much? – Just enough for me. | -要多少? -够我喝就行了 |
[03:55] | – I need to be at Telluride in the morning. – That’s a rough assignment you pulled. | -明天早上我得到达泰路莱德 -那真的是很难的任务 |
[04:00] | No, I’m saying I already missed the 6: 50 to Denver… | 不,我是说我已经错过了 六点五十分去丹佛的车 |
[04:02] | …but I can catch an 8:40 from National if I change planes in Chicago. | 但如果我在芝加哥换飞机 我可以从国家机场搭八点四十分的班机 |
[04:06] | And as your travel agent, it’s important you update me on that. | 身为你的旅行社 你得告诉我最新行程 |
[04:10] | I’m supposed to be on my way to Napa for my dad’s 70th birthday. | 我应该出发到纳帕 参加我爸的七十大寿 |
[04:13] | – You hear me complaining? – You just did. | -你听到我抱怨了吗? -你刚刚在抱怨 |
[04:14] | Get out. | 滚出去 |
[04:17] | – It’s your dad’s 70th birthday? – Yeah. | -今天是你爸的七十大寿? -对 |
[04:20] | You doing anything? | 你想为他庆生? |
[04:22] | We’re all getting together in Napa. | 我们一家人要在纳帕团聚 |
[04:24] | – I meant right now. – No, I’m sitting and waiting. | -我是说现在 -不,我要坐着等消息 |
[04:27] | I’m ordering pizza. I’m catching up on e-mails. | 我订了披萨 我在检查我的电子邮件 |
[04:30] | All right. | 好吧 |
[04:32] | I got a basketball game on in my office if you wanna come. | 如果你想来的话 我会在办公室看篮球赛 |
[04:35] | – Jets and the Mets? – Nets and the Hawks. | -喷射机队跟大都会队? -篮网队跟鹰队 |
[04:37] | – Jets and the Mets? – I know, I’m joking when I do this. | -喷射机队跟大都会队? -我知道,我这么做是在开玩笑 |
[04:41] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[04:44] | You know, there’s a 9:00 to SFO. You can drive to Napa. | 你知道的,九点有飞机到旧金山 你可以开车到纳帕 |
[04:47] | Yeah. | 对 |
[04:49] | All right. | 好吧 |
[04:52] | I’m in my office. | 我会在办公室里 |
[04:54] | It’ll end. | 它是会结束的 |
[04:56] | You have any idea how many recipes there are? | 你知道有多少份食谱吗? |
[05:00] | I really don’t. | 我真的不知道 |
[05:02] | “A pack of frozen chicken livers… | “一包冷冻鸡肝 |
[05:05] | …a teaspoon of dry mustard…. “ | 一茶匙干芥末” |
[05:07] | The press is in the briefing room, staff’s in the west wing and I’m right here. | 媒体会在简报室 幕僚在西厢,而我在这里 |
[05:11] | I’m betting when you read this, you’re gonna be glad I stayed. | 我敢说你看到这个时 你会很高兴我留下来 |
[05:14] | You’ll end up rooting for a Minnesota senator named Howard Stackhouse. | 你会支持明尼苏达州 参议员霍华史塔克豪斯 |
[05:19] | Because I gotta tell you, this doesn’t seem like any old filibuster. | 因为我得告诉你 这看起来不像以往的议事拖延 罗伯洛 |
[06:12] | It’s our first filibuster, and I’m not a rules expert… | 杜希尔 艾莉森詹尼 珍妮尔摩隆奈 |
[06:15] | …but the rules of a filibuster are simple enough: | 里察薛福 约翰史宾塞 布雷迪威佛德 |
[06:18] | You keep the floor as long as you hold the floor. | 马丁辛 这是我们第一次遇上议事拖延 我不是规则专家 |
[06:21] | What does that mean? | 但议事拖延的规则很简单 只要你没有停止演说 你想说多久便多久 |
[06:22] | It means you can’t stop talking ever. | 那是什么意思? |
[06:26] | You can’t eat and you can’t drink, which is fine… | 意思是你得不停的说 |
[06:29] | …because you can’t leave the chamber to use the bathroom either. | 你不能吃东西跟喝饮料 那是件好事 |
[06:32] | But all that’s nothing compared to this: | 因为你也不能离开 去上洗手间 |
[06:35] | You’re not allowed to sit down. | 但那都比不上这个 你不能坐下 |
[06:38] | You’re not allowed to lean on anything, or for that matter, anyone. | 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 你不能靠在任何东西 |
[06:43] | It started with a bill you’ll read about tomorrow called the Family Wellness Act. | 或任何人身上 这都跟明天 |
[06:48] | Josh had been leading staffers from the Legislative Liaison Office… | 你会读到的家庭健康法案有关 制片:劳伦斯欧唐尼尔二世 |
[06:51] | …in negotiations with the conference chairman for weeks. | 数星期以来乔西带着 立法院联络人办公室的幕僚 |
[06:54] | And last Monday morning, he walked into the Roosevelt Room and said: | 跟会议主席一直在讨论 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 |
[06:58] | We got the Family Wellness Act. | 上星期一早上 他走进罗斯福室说: |
[07:00] | – It’s done? – Yes. | 我们掌握了家庭健康法案 |
[07:01] | – What’d we get, what’d we lose? – We got most of Title VII. | -完成了吗? -是的 -结果如何?我们失去了什么? -我们保留了第七项的绝大部份 |
[07:04] | – That’s infant hearing loss? – We got hearing tests for every child born. | 制片:李维林威尔斯 -那是新生儿听力丧失吗? |
[07:08] | – What about…? – We didn’t get hearing tests… | -我们可以为所有新生儿做听力检查 -那个? -我们没办法 |
[07:10] | – … for those not born in hospitals. – We can live with that. | 编剧:艾伦索金 |
[07:13] | The Special Needs Adoption Awareness Program? | -为不在医院出生的婴儿做听力检查 -我们可以接受 |
[07:15] | This is a campaign to provide information… | 领养特别需要孩童通知计划? |
[07:17] | …regarding the adoption of special-needs children. | 这个活动可以提供 导演:拜伦葛登 |
[07:20] | – How did we get it? – By requiring health care staff… | 关于领养 特别需要孩童的资讯 |
[07:23] | …to give pregnant women information about adoption… | -怎样得到那些资讯? -健保人员需要 |
[07:26] | …on an equal basis with all other courses of action. | 提供怀孕妇女 关于领养的资讯 |
[07:28] | National Organization for Women will hate that. | 在整个过程中 对任何一方做到公平 |
[07:31] | – I know. – Women seeking abortions… | 全国妇女组织 一定会不高兴 |
[07:33] | …shouldn’t be required to be lectured at. | -我知道 -想��胎的妇女 |
[07:35] | – You’re gonna help me out there, right? – I will. | 不应该被教训 |
[07:37] | I will once again betray the sisterhood. | -你会帮我,会吗? -我会的 |
[07:41] | I saw you, you, you and you roll your eyes. | 我要再一次背叛姐妹们 |
[07:43] | – You weren’t even looking at me. – I felt you. | 我看到你,你,你 跟你在翻白眼 |
[07:46] | We’re done. Josh Lyman, everybody. | -你根本没有在看我 |
[07:51] | Nice job. | -我感觉到了 我们谈完了,乔西赖曼,大伙们 |
[07:52] | – I know, I’m thinking about turning pro. – Yeah? | 做的好 |
[07:55] | I got agents telling me I could go high in the second round… | -我知道,我考虑要当职业好手 -真的吗? |
[07:58] | …maybe low in the first if I have a good post-season. | 经纪人告诉我 我可能会在第二轮中名列前茅 |
[08:00] | You don’t want to stay in school? | 或许能吊车尾挤进第一轮 如果我季后赛表现的不错 |
[08:02] | No, I’m white. Nobody’s gonna mind. | 你不想待在学校里? |
[08:04] | Josh, this looks good. | 不,我是白人,没有人会在乎 |
[08:06] | I mean, he stuck sunsets on a bunch of small-ticket items, but… | 乔西,这看起来很棒 |
[08:10] | That’s the way it’s gonna happen. | 我是说他坚持一些 细微小节,但是 |
[08:12] | You just spent $6 billion on health care, how do you feel? | 那就是让它通过的方法 |
[08:15] | I’d feel better if it meant I could go to a doctor without filling out a clipboard. | 你刚刚花了六十亿在健保上 你有什么感觉? |
[08:19] | All right, what else? | 如果那表示我去看医生 不必写假单,我会觉得更棒 |
[08:20] | Philip Sluman, chairman of the Petroleum Producers of America… | 好吧,还有别的事吗? |
[08:24] | …testified yesterday to the FTC: | 美国石油制品组织主席 |
[08:26] | “The Bartlet administration’s relentless pursuit of stricter emissions standards… | 昨天对联邦交易委员会做证: |
[08:32] | …in the form of additives like MTBE… | “巴特勒政府坚持 提高排放量标准 |
[08:34] | …is a big reason we’ve seen price hikes in parts of the country. “ | 因为使用甲基第三丁基醚做添加剂 |
[08:37] | The energy secretary’s gotta respond. | 所以我们看到国内部份地区 价格攀升” |
[08:40] | He’s gonna respond, and I’d like to mention that to the vice president. | 能源部长会作出回应 |
[08:43] | – You want me to do it? – I got it. | 他会作出回应 我想跟副总统谈一谈 |
[08:45] | – He’s gonna be pretty unhappy. – Yeah. | -你要我那么做吗? -我自己可以了 |
[08:48] | – Anything else? – No. | -他会非常不高兴 -对 |
[08:50] | – No. – No, sir. | -还有事吗? -没有 |
[08:52] | Thank you. | -不 -不,长官 |
[08:53] | So there it was, the Family Wellness Act. | 谢谢 所以,这是家庭健康法案 |
[08:56] | An omnibus health bill aimed at diseases that disproportionately affect children. | 这项范围广泛的健康法案 着重于孩童的疾病 |
[09:00] | This was a good day because something got done. | 这是美好的一天 因为我们完成了一件事 |
[09:03] | The problem is, we only thought it was done. | 问题是 我们只是认为我们做到了 |
[09:06] | Dad, this would be a good time to mention that it’s possible… | 爸,我现在可以 告诉你很可能 |
[09:09] | …that an Egyptian cat goddess named Bast has put an ancient curse on me. | 埃及猫神巴斯特 对我下了古老的诅咒 |
[09:12] | C.J. | 茜洁 |
[09:14] | – Charlie. – Listen. | 茜洁 -查理 -听着 |
[09:15] | – May I call you Chip? – No. | -查理 -听着 -我能叫你查普吗? -不行 |
[09:16] | – Chipper? – No. | -我能叫你查普吗? -不行 -小查? -不 |
[09:17] | – Gilligan? – Listen. | -小查? -不 -查利根? -听着 |
[09:19] | – Hassan Ali is coming this week. – He’s got 38 wives. | -查利根? -听着 -哈桑阿里这星期要来 -他有三十八个太太 |
[09:22] | Imagine being the girl he dated who he didn’t marry. | 想像自己是跟他约会 却没有嫁给他的女孩 |
[09:24] | – Hassan Ali is coming? – Yeah. | -哈桑阿里要来? -对 |
[09:26] | On the president’s trip to Cairo, Ali gave him a gift, a ceramic statue. | 在总统的开罗之旅中 阿里送给他一尊陶像 |
[09:30] | The State Department told the Office of Protocol… | 国务院 告诉公共事务室 |
[09:32] | …it’s important it be displayed when Ali visits. | 阿里抵达时 一定要把陶像摆出来 |
[09:34] | – Display it. – Well, they weren’t able to find it. | -那就把它摆出来 -他们找不到它 |
[09:37] | – Talk to the gift officer. – They did. | -跟礼宾人员谈一谈 -他们谈过了 |
[09:39] | – And? – They say you have it. | -结果呢? -他们说你拿走了它 |
[09:41] | – I’m sorry? – Sherry Halpern, the gift officer… | -你说什么? -礼宾人员雪莉哈波恩 |
[09:45] | …said she handed it to you in Cairo. | 说在开罗时她把它交给你 |
[09:48] | – Did you say a small ceramic statue? – Yeah, of a cat. | -你是说一尊小陶像吗? -对,它是一只猫 |
[09:56] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[09:58] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[10:01] | – Okay. – C.J.? | -好吧 -茜洁? |
[10:03] | – You know anything? – I’ll have to think about it. | -你知道它在哪吗? -我得想一想 |
[10:05] | I don’t have instant recall of every ceramic cat statue… | 我无法马上想起 我在开罗 |
[10:08] | …I’ve ever been handed in Cairo. | 拿到的每尊小陶像 |
[10:10] | – Should I tell them…? – Tell them I’m searching my recollection. | -我该告诉他们? -告诉他们我会找找我的收藏品 |
[10:13] | Their recollection seemed pretty good. | 他们的收藏品似乎很不错 |
[10:15] | – Leave me now. – Sure. | -别烦我 -没问题 |
[10:17] | – Toby? – I’m going to see Hoynes, talk later. | -托比? -我要去找何尼斯,待会见 |
[10:19] | – Okay. Carol? – What do you need? | -好吧,卡萝? -有什么事? |
[10:21] | Some information. Possibly a disguise and a fast getaway car. Come inside. | 我需要一些资讯,最好有伪装 跟能快速逃走的车子,进来 |
[10:25] | Tell me, how did they not anticipate the flooding? | 告诉我 他们怎么没有预测到洪水? |
[10:28] | There was an unexpectedly high snowmelt. | 那里出现了意外的大量融雪 |
[10:30] | The snow fell months ago. Did they not think it was gonna melt this year? | 几个月前下了雪 他们不认为今年它会融化? |
[10:34] | – Thank you, everybody. – Thank you so much. | -谢谢大家 -谢谢你 |
[10:36] | – Thank you. – It was a pleasure. | -谢谢 -这是我的荣幸 |
[10:38] | – Thank you. Beautiful quilts. – Thank you very much, sir. | -谢谢,很漂亮的被子 -谢谢你,长官 |
[10:41] | – The temperatures were warm last month. – We don’t know why. | -上个月天气很温暖 -我们不知道为什么 |
[10:44] | It could have had something to do with the sun, right? | 这应该跟太阳有关系,对吧? |
[10:47] | – Sir? – We’re done. Yeah? | -长官 -没事了,对吧? |
[10:48] | – Can you see Toby Ziegler? – Yeah. | -长官 -没事了,对吧? -你可以见托比齐格吗? -可以 |
[10:51] | 25 million acre-feet of water, Candy. That’s 8 trillion gallons. | 两千五百万亩尺的水量,康蒂 一共是八兆加仑的水 |
[10:55] | – Hey, Toby. – Good morning, Mr. Vice President. | -嘿,托比 -早安,副总统 |
[10:57] | The California Aqueduct is twice the length of Pennsylvania. | 加州的水道长度是宾州的两倍 |
[11:00] | – I knew it was pretty big. – What do you need? | -我知道它非常大 -你有什么事? |
[11:05] | Philip Sluman, testifying yesterday in front of the FTC… | 菲利普苏路曼 昨天对联邦交易委员会做证 |
[11:09] | …charged that it was the White House’s pursuit of tighter emission standards… | 他说白宫要求 提高排放量标准 |
[11:13] | – … that’s caused the rise in prices… – Sluman had a good point. | -那导致了价格上涨 -苏格曼说的对 |
[11:17] | Mr. Vice President, I don’t want to go round and round on Sluman. | 副总统先生 我不希望一直说苏格曼的事 |
[11:21] | He had no point. | 他大错特错 |
[11:22] | Policy forces them to use expensive additives… | 政策迫使他们 使用昂贵的添加剂 |
[11:25] | – … whose benefits are questionable. – It’s price gouging. | -谁因此得利备受质疑 -这是价格干扰 |
[11:28] | It costs marginally more to refine the fuel with the additives… | 提炼加了添加剂的燃料 大幅增加成本 |
[11:31] | …and the cost is being passed on to the consumer at an outrageous markup. | 产品大幅涨价 将成本转嫁到消费者身上 |
[11:36] | If a refinery shuts down… | 如果炼油厂关闭 |
[11:38] | …if there’s a fire, which isn’t out of the question with petroleum… | 如果发生大火 毫无疑问地 |
[11:42] | …production comes to a halt, gas becomes scarce. | 石油生产会停止 石油变得稀少 |
[11:44] | The prices go up. Then they come back down. | 价格会上涨 然后价格会下降 |
[11:46] | Well, it’s good to know the companies can make it through the lean times. | 我很高兴知道 公司可以度过难关 |
[11:51] | Anyway, sir, tomorrow night Bill Trotter’s gonna be delivering a speech… | 总之明晚 比尔托特要在底特律经济议会上 |
[11:55] | …to the Detroit Economic Council on ” Energy Efficiency in the 21 st Century”… | 发表演说,主题是 “二十一世纪的能源效率” |
[11:59] | …and we’ll rewrite the draft to include a strong rebuttal to Sluman’s remark. | 我们要重写演讲稿 强烈反驳苏格曼的论点 |
[12:09] | – You shouldn’t have Bill Trotter do it. – Why? | -你不应该让比尔托特那么做 -为什么? |
[12:12] | His rants against the oil companies have become familiar. | 他反对石油公司的演说 已经成为老调 |
[12:14] | – The press stopped writing about him. – Still… | -媒体不再报导他 -但是 |
[12:16] | It’s also pretty dicey political terrain for the energy secretary. | 对能源部长来说 这也是一项政治赌注 |
[12:20] | – Who would you send? – To punch back? | -你要派谁去? -反击他吗? |
[12:23] | Me. | 我 |
[12:29] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[12:30] | I’m having a press conference… | 真的吗? 我要举行记者会 |
[12:32] | …to announce an advisory group for the antitrust policy. | 宣布成立反信托政策的顾问团 |
[12:35] | I’ll take questions at the end, open it up for anything. | 最后我会回答问题 什么事都能拿出来谈 |
[12:38] | And they will ask me about Sluman and oil. | 他们会问我 苏格曼跟石油的事 |
[12:42] | – Mr. Vice President… – If you think I’ll be too soft… | -副总统先生 -如果你认为我太软弱 |
[12:45] | …stand in the back of the room. | 你可以站在后面 |
[12:47] | If you don’t like what I say, call Trotter and say you’re on for tomorrow night. | 如果你不喜欢我说的话 打电话给托特说明晚你会上台 |
[12:55] | Would you mind if I prepared some notes for you? | 你介意我帮你准备小抄吗? |
[12:58] | Oh, not at all. Would you mind if I shoved them up your ass? | 一点都不会 你介意我把它们丢掉吗? |
[13:04] | No, sir. I…. | 不,我 |
[13:07] | Well, thank you, sir, we appreciate it. | 谢谢你,我们非常感激 |
[13:10] | – I heard you got the Family Wellness Act. – They’re scheduled to vote Friday at noon. | -听说家庭健康法案通过了 -他们排定星期五中午投票 |
[13:14] | You’ll have the bill by 12:05. | 十二点五分法案就能通过 |
[13:16] | “Six egg yolks, three cups of heavy cream. | “六个蛋黄,三杯浓奶油 |
[13:19] | Six tablespoons of sugar…. “ | 六茶匙的糖” |
[13:21] | I’ll get back to the cat story because I have to interrupt to say this: | 我之后再说猫的故事 因为我得停下来说: |
[13:26] | If you ever have a free two hours and are so inclined… | 如果你有两小时的空闲时间 尝试 |
[13:29] | …try standing up without leaning on anything and talking the whole time. | 站起来,不要靠在任何东西上 跟不停地说话 |
[13:33] | You won’t make it. I wouldn’t make it. | 你办不到,我办不到 |
[13:35] | Stackhouse wasn’t supposed to last 15 minutes. | 史塔克豪斯应该 撑不过十五分钟 |
[13:38] | He’s 78 years old. He has a head cold. | 他七十八岁了,他得了感冒 |
[13:40] | This bill is gonna pass. He has no hope. | 这项法案会通过,他没有希望 |
[13:43] | To say nothing of I can’t imagine what it is he’s fighting for. | 我真的不知道 他是为什么而战 |
[13:46] | Stackhouse wasn’t supposed to last 15 minutes. | 史塔克豪斯应该 撑不过十五分钟 |
[13:49] | …that is how you prepare Virginia green apple pie. | 那就是准备 维吉尼亚青苹果派的方法 |
[13:55] | Let’s turn now to David Copperfield. | 现在一起来看《块肉余生记》 |
[13:58] | Well, somebody forgot to tell Stackhouse, Dad… | 有人忘了告诉 史塔克豪斯,爸爸 |
[14:02] | …because he just went into hour number eight. | 因为他刚刚 迈向第八个小时 |
[14:14] | “… whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. | “不论谁能拿到那个位置 我们都要公布这些内容 |
[14:19] | To begin my life with the beginning of my life… | 让我的人生 有个完美的起点 |
[14:22] | …I record I was born, as I have been informed and believe… | 我记录我的出生时刻 我很清楚并且相信 |
[14:25] | …on a Friday at 12:00 at night. | 那应该是星期五晚上十二点 |
[14:28] | It was remarked that the clock began to strike… | 根据记录 那时钟声响起 |
[14:31] | …and I began to cry simultaneously. “ | 同时我哭了起来” |
[14:34] | – Hey. | – Hey. -嘿 -嘿 |
[14:42] | What are you doing? | 你在做什么? |
[14:43] | Well, it’s a little complicated and indeed difficult to explain in layman’s terms. | 要向外行人解释 真的有点难,也很复杂 |
[14:49] | You can put the black seven on the red eight. | 你可以把黑七 放在红八上 |
[14:53] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[14:55] | Hey, Sam, who’s your favorite writer? | 山姆,谁是你最喜欢的作家? |
[14:58] | Toby. | 托比 |
[15:00] | Who’s your favorite fiction writer? | 谁是你最喜欢的小说作家? |
[15:02] | – You’re listening to him right now. – You like Dickens? | -你正在听他的小说 -你喜欢迪更斯吗? |
[15:05] | Yeah. | 喜欢 |
[15:08] | You know, I never got a chance to say…. | 你知道的 我一直都没有机会说 |
[15:10] | I mean, I feel bad about your dad and everything. | 关于你爸跟其他事 我觉得很遗憾 |
[15:14] | We’re doing better. | 我们有进展了 |
[15:16] | You know, the ice is starting to thaw. | 冰块开始融化了 |
[15:18] | I’m in the middle of an e-mail to my father. | 我正在写电子邮件给我爸 |
[15:20] | – Do you talk to him a lot? – Not enough. | -你常跟他说话吗? -我觉得我做的还不够好 |
[15:23] | You’re gonna miss the last plane. | 你会错过最后一班飞机 |
[15:25] | I’ll take Amtrak to Penn Station and rent a car. | 我会搭美国国铁到宾州车站 然后租车 |
[15:27] | Okay. Well, I just came down to get this coffee. | 好吧 我只是来拿咖啡 |
[15:31] | Go back to your e-mail. | 继续写你的电子邮件 |
[15:34] | Hey, did I hear you got spanked by some 14-year-old kid… | 我听说你被在总审计局做实习的 |
[15:38] | – … interning at the GAO? – I did not get spanked. | -十四岁孩子打屁股? -我没有被打屁股 |
[15:40] | And she was 19 years old… | 而且她是十九岁 |
[15:42] | …and I demonstrated once again that I am open to all forms of debate. | 我再一次表明 我接受所有形式的辩论 |
[15:46] | – With an intern? – If need be. | -跟实习生? -如果有需要的话 |
[15:48] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[15:50] | – She was very crafty. – Who? | -她非常狡猾 -谁? |
[15:53] | – The intern from the GAO. – Yeah. | -总审计局的实习生 -对 |
[15:56] | – Go back to your e-mail. – I am. | -继续写你的电子邮件 -我会 |
[15:59] | – I’m taking my coffee with me. – I’ll see you upstairs. | -我拿咖啡上去 -楼上见 |
[16:08] | “Then she made a frown and a gesture to my mother… | “然后她皱了眉头 跟我妈做手势 |
[16:11] | …like one who was accustomed to be obeyed, to come open the door…. “ | 就像是习惯服从的人 她去开了门” |
[16:16] | Dear Jackass. | 亲爱的大笨蛋 |
[16:20] | ” ‘Mrs. David Copperfield, I think,’ said Miss Betsey… | “大卫古柏菲德太太 贝西小姐说:我想 |
[16:23] | …the emphasis referring to my mother’s mourning weeds and her condition… | 我母亲 自从我父亲葬礼结束后 |
[16:27] | …not having been lighted, indeed, since my father’s funeral. “ | 心情一直不佳 身体状况也很不好” |
[16:30] | Dear Dad: | 亲爱的爸爸: |
[16:32] | C. J. Cregg is writing an e-mail to her father to kill time during the filibuster… | 茜洁葛瑞在写电子邮件给她爸 打发议事拖延的无聊时间 |
[16:36] | …and it reminded me I haven’t told you any tales in the last few weeks. | 这让我想起几个星期来 我没有告诉你任何故事 |
[16:41] | Let’s start again, okay? | 我们再来一次,好吗? |
[16:43] | Here’s one about how I got yelled at… | 这个故事是关于 |
[16:45] | …by a 19-year-old intern from the General Accounting Office. | 我被总审计局的 十九岁实习生骂的事 |
[16:49] | Josh was having his twice-weekly meeting with assistant deputies. | 乔西跟幕僚助理 进行每星期两次的会议 |
[16:52] | He was basically staffing out inbox material for the next few days. | 基本上他在准备 未来几天的工作内容 |
[16:56] | I was looking for a good piece of fruit. | 我在找水果 |
[16:58] | Write this down. Find out if sufficient funds have been appropriated… | 快写下来 查出是否有足够的资金 |
[17:02] | …to the FAA to begin work on data-link communications. | 供美国联邦航空总署 开始做资料连结通讯 |
[17:06] | – They’ll ask what sufficient funds mean. – That’s when you get me on the phone. | -他们会问足够的资金是什么意思 -那时你得打电话给我 山姆 |
[17:11] | – What are you doing? – Looking for a piece of fruit. | -你在做什么? -我在找水果 |
[17:13] | Can we show you something from the back, or…? | 我们可以到后面 帮你找一找或? |
[17:16] | – I’m fine. – Okay, here’s one. | -我没事 -好吧,这里有一个 |
[17:19] | The White House has been instructed by Congress to compile a list… | 国会要求白宫 提出名单 |
[17:23] | …of 400 government reports that should be eliminated… | 列举四百份 应该被删减的政府报告 |
[17:26] | …as they serve little purpose and cost taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars. | 因为它们没什么作用 花掉纳税人数亿元 |
[17:30] | We’ll assume, though the modifier was dangling… | 我们推测 虽然措词模糊 |
[17:33] | …they mean the reports serve little purpose, not Congress itself. | 他们是说报告没有什么作用 而不是指国会本身 |
[17:38] | – Who wants to lead it? – I will. | -谁要带头? -我 |
[17:40] | You’re not in this meeting. You’re shopping for fruit. | 你不是在参加这个会议 你是来取水果 |
[17:42] | I’m done with the fruit. I was listening to you. | 我吃完水果了 我有在听你说话 |
[17:44] | – You want to do this? – Absolutely. | -你想这么做? -当然 |
[17:46] | – Why? – Because it’s insane! | -为什么? -因为它很疯狂! |
[17:48] | We got over 3000 reports from federal agencies last year. | 去年联邦局 提出三千多份报告 |
[17:51] | Agriculture spent $40 million producing 280 reports. | 农业部花了四千万 做出两百八十份报告 |
[17:55] | Four years of college, three years of law school, I spent $30 at Kinko’s. | 念了四年大学,三年法学院 我只花了三十块在影印店 |
[17:59] | – Give me the thing. – All right, we’re done. | -把东西给我 -好吧,会开完了 |
[18:03] | Let me tell you something. The GAO needs a little housekeeping… | 我得告诉你一件事 总审计局需要整理一下 |
[18:07] | …and that’s my nickname, okay? I’m “The Housekeeper. “ | 而那是我的专长,好吗? 我是“打扫专家” |
[18:10] | – God, that’s a terrible nickname. – Well, start getting used to it. | -天啊,那真的很难听 -你得开始习惯它 |
[18:13] | – Let me talk to you a second. – I’m not going with that anymore. | -我得跟你谈一谈 -我再也受不了了 |
[18:17] | I was just with Hoynes. | 我刚刚跟何尼斯谈过 |
[18:18] | About Sluman’s testimony? What’d he say? | 关于苏格曼的证词吗? 他怎么说? |
[18:20] | – He defended it. – Isn’t that what you expected? | -他支持它 -你不是希望他那么做吗? |
[18:22] | – Did you tell him Bill Trotter was gonna…? – Yeah. | -你告诉他比尔托特会? -对 |
[18:25] | He said he wanted to do it himself. | 他说他要亲自上战场 |
[18:29] | – Really? – Yeah. | -真的吗? -对 |
[18:31] | I don’t understand. | 我不了解 |
[18:32] | He said he’s doing a press conference tomorrow on antitrust… | 他说他明天要举行 反信托法的记者会 |
[18:35] | …and he’ll take questions at the end. | 最后他会回答问题 |
[18:37] | They’ll ask about the Sluman testimony and he’ll step up. | 他们会问到苏格曼的证词 他会解释 |
[18:41] | – Well, somebody’s gotta be there. – Oh, I’m gonna be there. | -我们得派人过去 -我会去的 |
[18:45] | If he ducks, Trotter goes on in Detroit. But is it clear to you what he’s doing? | 如果他低头,托特得到底特律 但你知道他在做什么吗? |
[18:50] | No. | 不知道 |
[18:52] | Me neither. | 我也不知道 |
[18:54] | Okay, so I got a team together and I went about the task… | 好吧,于是我召集人马 开始做事 |
[18:58] | …of recommending 400 government reports for elimination. | 建议四百份 应该遭到删减的政府报告 |
[19:01] | – Report on Pell Grants for the incarcerated. – What’s that? | -派尔葛兰特兹拘押案报告 -那是什么? |
[19:04] | – Education scholarships for prisoners. – Wasn’t that terminated? | -囚犯教育奖学金 -那不是取消了吗? |
[19:07] | – But we write reports anyway? – Yeah. | -但我们还是写了报告? -对 |
[19:09] | – Lose it. – Report on the study of Route 66. | -把它删减掉 -六十六号高速公路研究报告 |
[19:11] | Which tells us? | 内容是什么? |
[19:12] | Condition and traffic flow of America’s oldest highway. | 美国最古老的高速公路 路况及交通流量 |
[19:15] | Anything I don’t get from the song? Lose it. | 有什么资料是不能从那首歌里得到的? 把它删减掉 |
[19:20] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? |
[19:21] | – I didn’t say anything. – You made a sound. | -我什么都没说 -你发出了声音 |
[19:23] | – I’ll be out of your way in a moment. – Okay. | -我很快会离开了 -好吧 |
[19:26] | Apparently there are tiny mussels taking over the Great Lakes. | 很明显地 五大湖长被小贝类占据 |
[19:29] | Lose it. | 把它删减掉 |
[19:31] | – Can I help you? – No, you’re screwing the world up. | -我能帮忙吗? -不,你搞得世界天翻地覆 |
[19:36] | – Who are you? – I’m an intern at the GAO. | -你是谁? -我是总审计局的实习生 |
[19:38] | – It’s almost noon. They’ll start the vote. – Let’s go watch. | -快中午了,他们要开始投票了 -我们快去看 |
[19:42] | You stay a second. | 你留下来 |
[19:47] | – You’re an intern? – Yes. | -你是实习生? -对 |
[19:49] | – What are you, 14 years old? – I’m 19 years old. | -你是十四岁吗? -我十九岁 |
[19:51] | And what’s your problem with my cutting reports? | 你对我删减报告 有什么疑问? |
[19:54] | Nothing, other than it being utterly bogus. | 没有 只不过我觉得那么做很虚伪 |
[19:56] | – What’s your name? – Winnifred Hooper. | -你叫什么名字? -维尼佛胡波 |
[19:58] | – Should I call you “Winnie”? – If you want me to spit at you. | -我可以叫你“维尼”吗? -如果你要我朝你吐口水 |
[20:00] | – I don’t. – Okay. | -我不要 -好吧 |
[20:02] | The accounting office tells me I can save taxpayers $3 million… | 总审计局告诉我 我可以帮纳税人省下三百万 |
[20:05] | …by cutting 400 reports. | 只要我删减四百份报告 |
[20:07] | Now families can realize their dream of a college education for their children… | 现在每个家庭了解 你帮他们的孩子多存了 |
[20:10] | …with the penny and a half you just saved them. | 一分半的大学基金 |
[20:13] | You blow through these like they don’t mean anything. | 你的语气 像是它们没有任何意义 |
[20:15] | – They don’t. – You’re an idiot! | -它们的确没有意义 -你是白痴! |
[20:17] | – Hey, you’re talking to senior staff. – Gee, genuflect when you say that, fella. | -你是在跟资深幕僚说话 -天啊,那么说时谦虚一点 |
[20:24] | ” Report on the Obstacles to State and Local Training Needs… | “州政府及地方政府 做废弃物管理 |
[20:27] | …in Waste Management and Resource Recovery. “ | 及资源回收必要训练的障碍” |
[20:30] | – Know what this is? – Yes. | -你知道这是什么吗? -我知道 |
[20:31] | – Career opportunities for garbage men. – And what’s wrong with that? | -清洁队员的就业机会 -那有什么不对? |
[20:35] | It’s a tough sell, and I don’t need a report to tell me. | 很少人会接受那个 我不需要报告就知道 |
[20:37] | Do you have any idea how much MSW this country generates in a single year? | 你知道这个国家 一年制造多少的都固废物吗? |
[20:41] | – That’s…. – Municipal solid waste. | -那是 -都会固体废弃物 |
[20:44] | – I knew that. – 209 million tons of MSW… | -我知道那个字 -两亿九百万顿的都会固体废弃物 |
[20:47] | …or 4.3 pounds per person per day. | 换算起来是每个人每天四点三磅 |
[20:50] | And we only have hard data available from five years ago. | 我们只有五年前的资料 |
[20:53] | – So they would be even higher today? – You bet they would. | -现在的数值会更高? -那是一定的 |
[20:56] | Trash collectors play an incredibly important role in our society. | 清洁队员 在我们的社会中扮演非常重要的角色 |
[20:59] | They start work at 4 a.m. A three-person crew services 1200 homes in six hours… | 他们清晨四点开始工作,三人一组 六小时内服务一千两百户人家 |
[21:04] | …collecting 50,000 pounds of garbage. | 收集五万磅的垃圾 |
[21:06] | How do you know all that? | 你怎么知道? |
[21:08] | – I’ve read the report. – You’ve read the report? | -我看过报告 -你看过报告? |
[21:10] | – Yes. – Why? | -对 -为什么? |
[21:12] | – I’m allowed. Anybody’s allowed. – No, I mean, why? | -我可以看它,大家都可以看它 -不,我是说为什么? |
[21:15] | Well, they’re all sitting in the room I work in. | 它们就放在 我工作的房间里 |
[21:18] | So it just happens you read the report I pulled off the top? | 你刚好看过 我想删减的报告? |
[21:21] | – I’ve read them all. – You’ve read them all. | -我看过所有报告 -你看过所有报告 |
[21:24] | I like to read. They let me come early and stay after. | 我喜欢阅读 他们让我早到迟退 |
[21:29] | Mr. Seaborn, because of the low rate of unemployment… | 希朋先生,因为失业率低 |
[21:33] | …people can be a lot more choosy… | 人们可以有更多的选择 |
[21:35] | …and the sanitation departments are having trouble… | 清洁队很难 |
[21:37] | …hiring qualified trash collectors… | 雇到合格的队员 |
[21:39] | – … which I think you’ll agree we need. – Yes. | -我想你会同意我们需要他们 -对 |
[21:42] | Okay. I have to go back to my room. | 好吧,我得回办公室了 |
[21:50] | Winnie. Yeah, I said it. Listen, you’re talented. | 维尼,对,我说了 听着,你很有天份 |
[21:54] | When you get out of school, come see me for a job. | 毕业后来找我谈工作 |
[21:59] | I suppose you’re not a complete loser. | 我猜你不是一个完全的混蛋 |
[22:02] | And you write very well. | 你的文笔非常好 |
[22:05] | So when I get out of school, you should come see me for a job. | 我毕业后 你该来找我谈工作 |
[22:13] | Back to the cat story. | 回到猫的故事 |
[22:14] | I’ve done my research, and sure enough, I was quite screwed. | 我做了研究 很明显地我搞砸了 |
[22:17] | I was in trouble and I needed to tell someone, a cohort. | 我麻烦大了 我得告诉别人,一个强者 |
[22:20] | Someone whose criminal mind was equal to my own. | 一个跟我一样 有犯罪天份的人 |
[22:23] | – Donna, I need to talk to you right now. – I have to get these to people. | -唐娜,我得跟你谈谈 -我得把这个送给大家 |
[22:26] | – So we went to Cairo last year, right? – Not me. I had strep. | -记得去年我们去过开罗? -我没去,我得了链球菌感染 |
[22:30] | – I didn’t, which is sad for me. – Are you in trouble? | -我没有,我真的很难过 -你有麻烦吗? |
[22:32] | – I may be in a spot of trouble. – What happened? | -我可能有大麻烦 -发生了什么事? |
[22:35] | Hassan Ali gave the president a gift, a small ceramic statue of Bast. | 哈桑阿里送了总统一份礼物 一座巴斯特的小陶像 |
[22:40] | – Bast? – Bast. A cat goddess. She was… | -巴斯特? -巴斯特是猫神,他是 |
[22:42] | – Did Josh leave? – He went to lunch. | -乔西离开了吗? -他去吃午餐 |
[22:44] | She was the patron saint of Bubastis… | 他是布芭丝蒂斯的守护神 |
[22:46] | …and rose to prominence during the 22nd Dynasty. | 在第二十二代王朝深被崇拜 |
[22:49] | – How do you know this? – I looked it up. | -你怎么知道? -我做过研究 |
[22:51] | – The cats in the temple… – What temple? | -神殿里的猫 -什么神殿? |
[22:53] | The Temple of Bubastis maybe, I don’t know. | 或许是布芭丝蒂斯的神殿 我不知道 |
[22:55] | The cats in the temple wore jeweled collars. They were treated royally. | 神殿里的猫穿戴珠宝领圈 他们被视为是皇族 |
[23:00] | They thought cats controlled the movement of the moon. | 他们认为猫控制了 月亮的运行 |
[23:03] | They had total authority over royal houses… | 他们可以自由进出皇宫 |
[23:06] | …because of their ability to see in the dark. | 因为他们在黑暗中 能看见东西 |
[23:08] | Anyone who killed a cat was put to death. | 杀死猫的人会被处死 |
[23:10] | – I’m sorry, C.J., I’m not… – I broke the damn statue. | -对不起,茜洁,我不 -我打破了那个该死的陶像 |
[23:14] | Not badly… | 不是很严重 |
[23:16] | …but, you know, in several pieces. | 但它碎成好几块 |
[23:18] | Since it came out of his collection, breaking it would amount… | 因为它是他的收藏品 打破它代表 |
[23:21] | …to a personal affront implying he had bad taste… | 是在侮辱他品味很差 |
[23:23] | …and that it was of little value to the president. | 它对总统没有什么价值 |
[23:26] | They’re asking for you back at your desk. | 他们要你回办公室 |
[23:28] | – How did you break it? – I tossed it in my suitcase. | -你怎么会把它打破? -我把它丢进我的行李箱 |
[23:31] | – You tossed it? – Do you know how much crap… | -你丢它? -你知道总统 |
[23:34] | …gets stuck in the president’s hands? | 收到多少烂礼物吗? |
[23:36] | Didn’t the gift officer know it was priceless? | 礼宾人员 不知道它价值连城吗? |
[23:38] | Apparently not, because she handed it to me with T-shirts and baklava. | 很明显地她不知道,因为她连T恤 跟千层酥饼一起把它交给我 |
[23:43] | – Donna? – Yeah. | -唐娜? -什么事? |
[23:44] | – Why are you telling me? – I thought maybe you’d have an idea. | -你为什么要告诉我? -我想或许你知道该怎么做 |
[23:47] | There’s nothing I can think of, except agree you’re monumentally screwed. | 我想不出任何办法 但我同意你完蛋了 |
[23:51] | – I hate to leave it at that. – But you’re gonna. | -我讨厌那么做 -但你得那么做 |
[23:53] | – What’s going on? – It’s this phone message for Josh. | -发生了什么事? -这是乔西的电话留言 |
[23:56] | – From? – Howard Stackhouse. | -谁打来的? -霍华史塔克豪斯 |
[23:57] | Who has my wallet? | 谁拿走我的皮夹? |
[23:59] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[24:01] | Josh. | 乔西 |
[24:02] | Did Stackhouse ask you to meet with one of his aides? | 史塔克豪斯 要你跟他的助理见面? |
[24:06] | – I’m not taking it. – Why? | -我不会接受 -为什么? |
[24:08] | He wants an amendment added to the Family Wellness Act… | 他要在家庭健康法案 加入修正条文 |
[24:11] | …for autism care and research. | 照顾及研究自闭症患者 |
[24:12] | – And we don’t want to? – This is a ” Christmas tree bill. “ | -我们不想那么做? -这是“耶诞树法案” |
[24:15] | Everyone hangs amendments on it. We just closed it this morning. | 大家都想加修正条文 今天早上我们谈妥了 |
[24:19] | – We try and hang a star on top… – The tree topples and it doesn’t pass. | -我们想在树顶挂星星 -树会倒下,它不会通过的 |
[24:22] | Stackhouse doesn’t have a lot of muscle on this, so… | 史塔克豪斯无能为力,所以 |
[24:24] | You got this phone message. | 你有一通电话留言 |
[24:26] | – From his office? – From him. | -他的办公室打来的? -是他打来的 |
[24:28] | ” Meet with me or there’s not gonna be a vote while I’m alive. Stackhouse. “ | “跟我见面,不然只要我有一口气 就不会有投票,史塔克豪斯” |
[24:32] | “… as if it were her fault, poor thing, and said, sobbing, that indeed… | “就像那是她的错,可怜的家伙 她哭着说 |
[24:36] | …she was afraid she was but a childish widow. “ | 她很害怕 她是个娃娃寡妇” |
[24:39] | Maybe it’s the curse of Bast that made us not take the Stackhouse threat seriously… | 或许那是巴斯特因为我们不理会 史塔克豪斯的威胁下的诅咒 |
[24:43] | …but whatever the reason, it’s time to take it seriously… | 但不管是为什么 我们都该正视它了 |
[24:46] | …because he’s gassing me out of time. | 因为他逼得我喘不过气来 |
[24:48] | I’ve got two hours till the 11:00 print deadline… | 再过两小时 十一点的截稿时间就到了 |
[24:51] | …and there’s no way, there’s no way, he goes another two hours. | 他没有办法 再争取两小时的时间 |
[24:55] | Let’s move on to the rules of cards. | 让我们来看看纸牌规则 |
[24:59] | There’s no way. | 没有办法 |
[25:13] | The message was pretty cryptic, like something you’d slip to a bank teller. | 讯息很模糊 像是你会递给银行柜员的东西 |
[25:17] | And it was unusual to get it from a senator who’d normally dispatch an aide. | 通常参议员 会派助理来 |
[25:21] | Leo agreed, but was in no way concerned. | 里奥同意,但他不担心 |
[25:23] | He told me to take the meeting, but not to sweat it… | 他要我跟他见面 但不要害怕 |
[25:26] | …and under no circumstances give anything away. | 不论发生什么事 都不要退缩 |
[25:29] | So I headed up to the Hill wearing, by the way… | 所以我盛装到了国会山庄 还穿着 |
[25:32] | …the new shoes you bought me which I’d never worn before. | 你帮我买的新鞋 我从来没有穿过它 |
[25:36] | Since Dad’s not here to do it, I think it’s my job to bore you with history now. | 因为爸爸不在这里帮忙 我想我得告诉你这些历史 |
[25:41] | The filibuster’s been a part of parliamentary stratagem… | 议事拖延是国会策略的一部份 |
[25:44] | …for over 150 years. | 有一百五十年的历史 |
[25:47] | The reason we weren’t sweating Stackhouse… | 我们不怕史塔克豪斯 |
[25:49] | …is that he isn’t someone you sweat. | 因为他不是你该害怕的人 |
[25:51] | He’s been around forever, but he has little influence… | 他一直都存在 但他没有影响力 |
[25:54] | …little power and few friends. | 也没有权力跟朋友 |
[25:57] | So Dad would want me to tell you where the word “filibuster” comes from. | 爸会想我告诉你 “议事拖延”一词的出处 |
[26:00] | It’s from the Dutch vrijbuiter, which translated literally means “freebooter. “ | 来自荷兰文中的vrijbuiter 字面意思是“劫掠者” |
[26:06] | But what they meant was “buccaneer. “ | 但它们真正的意思是“海盗” |
[26:10] | – Afternoon, senator. – Afternoon. | -午安,参议员 -午安 |
[26:14] | – Sounds like a bad cold. – It’s fine. | -你似乎感冒很严重 -没关系 |
[26:17] | Are you taking anything? | 你在吃药吗? |
[26:18] | I don’t want to talk about my cold. | 我不想谈我的感冒 |
[26:21] | – I want $47 million to fight autism. – Sir… | -我要四千七百万来对抗自闭症 -参议员 |
[26:24] | Five centers of excellence at universities around the country… | 在全国最棒的 五家大学医学中心 |
[26:27] | …to help scientists coordinate their research. | 帮助科学家进行研究 |
[26:30] | Three special units for autism epidemiology at the CDC… | 在疾病管制中心成立 三个特殊自闭症单位 |
[26:34] | …and a centralized facility for gene and brain banking. | 成立基因跟脑部组织 的专门银行 |
[26:37] | – That’s 43 million. – Senator… | -那要四千三百万 -参议员 |
[26:38] | The other 4 million is for a federal program… | 剩下来的四百万 要推动联邦计划 |
[26:42] | …to educate doctors to reduce the staggeringly high percentage of cases… | 教育医生以减少自闭症遭到 |
[26:46] | …in which autism is misdiagnosed. | 误判的机率 |
[26:48] | – We can’t do it. – Of course you can. | -我们不能那么做 -你们当然可以 |
[26:50] | – You simply call the conference chair… – The bill started out at 2 billion. | -你只要打电话给会议主席 -法案金额一开始是二十亿 |
[26:54] | – It’s 6 billion now. – That’s right. | -现在是六十亿 -没错 |
[26:57] | – So another 47 million hurts you how? – Sir… | -现在多加四千七百万会要你们的命? -参议员 |
[27:00] | It’s 8/10 of one percent of a bill aimed at health issues affecting children… | 这项法案中百分之零点八的金额 用在孩童疾病上 |
[27:05] | …which is the same as the percentage of children affected by autism. | 跟孩童罹患 自闭症的比例一样 |
[27:09] | I don’t need to tell you, in these negotiations… | 我不需要告诉你 在协商时 |
[27:11] | In these negotiations about a bill aimed at health issues affecting children… | 在协商时,我们说好 这个法案的重点是孩童疾病 |
[27:15] | …we’ve allocated funds for Alzheimer’s, glaucoma and erectile dysfunction. | 我们为阿兹海默症 青光眼跟阳痿提供资金 |
[27:20] | You know a lot of 2-year-olds afflicted with that horrific condition, do you? | 你认识很多二岁大的孩童 罹患那种可怕的疾病吗? |
[27:25] | There’s no doubt that that’s a good point. | 那的确很有道理 |
[27:27] | But in order to ensure that more important things were in the bill… | 但为了保护 法案中更重要的问题 |
[27:30] | – So there was a determination made. – I’m sorry? | -你们作了一个决定 -你说什么? |
[27:34] | A determination was made, an order of priorities. | 你们作了一个决定 事有轻重缓急 |
[27:37] | Senator, there’s gonna be a vote. The bill’s closed. | 参议员,就快投票了 法案已经决定了 |
[27:41] | Open it back up again. | 再度讨论它 |
[27:42] | That would mean to postpone the vote and everyone’s breaking for the recess… | 那表示我们得延后投票 大家都想散会休息 |
[27:47] | And you want the story before everyone goes home. | 你想在大家回家前 把事情做好 |
[27:51] | Yeah. | 对 |
[27:53] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[27:55] | Sir, the next time around, and there will be a next time around… | 参议员,下次吧 一定会有下次 |
[28:00] | That’s all. I’m done with you now. | 就这样,我跟你谈完了 |
[28:01] | And that was that. | 就那样 |
[28:03] | Also at this hour, parliamentary procedure in all of its glory… | 这时在国会 情况还是没变 |
[28:07] | …as a Senate filibuster watches day turn into night… | 议事拖延从白天拉到晚上 |
[28:10] | …and possibly back into day again. | 很可能会延续到明天 |
[28:12] | 78-year-old Minnesota Senator Howard Stackhouse stands alone tonight… | 明尼苏达州七十八岁参议员 霍华史塔克豪斯今晚独自一人 |
[28:16] | …in the well of the Senate chamber… | 待在参议员室里 |
[28:18] | …as his colleagues, somewhat impatiently, wait for a vote… | 他的同僚急着想要投票 |
[28:21] | …that was scheduled to take place more than nine hours ago. | 按照预定计划 他们该在九小时前投票 |
[28:24] | Stackhouse, who once ran for president…. | 史塔克豪斯曾竞选总统 |
[28:27] | – Hey, Zack? – Yeah. | -查克? -什么事? |
[28:28] | You guys record the news feeds, right? | 你们记录新闻? |
[28:30] | Could I get the B-roll they’re showing on the Stackhouse story? | 我要史塔克豪斯报导的拷贝带 |
[28:33] | It’s 3 or 4 seconds. It’s a campaign stop and his grandchildren are with him. | 它只有三到四秒,它是竞选活动 他的孙儿都陪着他 |
[28:37] | The voiceover’s talking about his seven grandchildren. | 旁白谈到了 他的七个孙儿 |
[28:39] | – Sure, what’s the problem? – It’s nothing. | -没问题,有什么问题吗? -没事 |
[28:42] | – I’ll have it sent up. – Thanks. | -我会把它送过来 -谢谢 |
[28:44] | Donna. | 唐娜 |
[28:45] | You’re booked tomorrow morning, 8:55, United, direct to West Palm Beach. | 你订了明天早上八点五十五分 直飞西棕榈海滩的飞机 |
[28:49] | – Which gets in at? – 12:58. | -什么时候到? -十二点五十八分 |
[28:50] | It’s still a 70-mile drive to Port St. Lucie. I’ll miss the game. | 开车到圣路西港还要七十里 我会错过球赛 |
[28:53] | – I thought they weren’t playing yet. – It’s an exhibition game. | -我还以为球赛不打了 -那是表演赛 |
[28:56] | You’re going to see the Mets play another team in a game that doesn’t count? | 你要看大都会队 跟别队打一场不关胜负的球赛? |
[29:00] | Actually, it’s an intra-squad game. | 事实上那是同队分组比赛 |
[29:02] | So you’re going to see the Mets play each other in a game that doesn’t count. | 你要看大都会队 跟己队的人打一场不关胜负的球赛 |
[29:05] | – Yeah. – Okay. | -对 -好吧 |
[29:07] | There’s a flight out of Dulles at 7 a.m. You change planes in Newark. | 早上七点有飞机从杜利斯机场出发 你可在纽渥克转机 |
[29:10] | I’ve gotta fly to New Jersey to get to Palm Beach? | 我得飞到新泽西 才到得了棕榈海滩? |
[29:13] | – Look… – Just make sure that tomorrow morning… | -听着 -确定明天早上 |
[29:16] | – Mike Piazza calls you “dude. ” – Yes. | -麦克皮亚萨叫你“老哥” -对 |
[29:19] | What are you doing? | 你在做什么? |
[29:22] | – I’m writing an e-mail to my mother. – Why? | -我在写电子邮件给我妈 -为什么? |
[29:25] | To thank her for a pair of shoes she sent me. | 谢谢她 送了一双鞋给我 |
[29:28] | – Your mother sent you shoes? – Donna, please try and keep it… | -你妈送你鞋子? -唐娜,拜托你帮我保 |
[29:32] | – That is the sweetest thing… – Donna. | -那是最窝心的 -唐娜 |
[29:35] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[29:39] | Donna says hi, Mom. | 唐娜跟你问好,妈 |
[29:41] | Anyway, I didn’t think much about the meeting. | 总之,我无心去想开会的事 |
[29:44] | There are always people who don’t get what they want. | 很多人 都得不到他们想要的东西 |
[29:47] | I was thinking about other things. | 我在想其他的事 |
[29:48] | Like Toby, I was puzzled as to why the vice president… | 譬如说托比 我不知道为什么副总统 |
[29:51] | …who made his money from and champions the oil industry… | 他靠石油工业发大财 |
[29:55] | …volunteered to admonish the oil industry. | 却自愿要训诫石油工业 |
[29:57] | Sir, I’m sure you’re aware that Philip Sluman testified before the FTC… | 我相信你知道 菲利普苏路曼对联邦交易委员会做证 |
[30:01] | …that the administration’s relentless pursuit of stricter emissions standards… | 政府坚持 提高排放量标准 |
[30:05] | …in the form of additives is why we’re seeing price spikes. | 增加了添加物 导致价格高涨 |
[30:08] | – Yeah. – Would you comment on that? | -对 -你有评论吗? |
[30:10] | Yeah. Our relentless pursuit of cleaner air standards… | 是的,我们坚持追求 更干净的空气标准 |
[30:13] | …has resulted in lower asthma rates… | 成功降低气喘发作率 |
[30:16] | …and the cleanest air in California in 50 years. | 加州的空气 是五十年来最干净的 |
[30:19] | It costs marginally more to refine fuel with additives… | 添加添加物会让 提炼石油的边缘成本增高 |
[30:23] | …but the costs are being passed on to consumers at an outrageous price. | 但产品大幅涨价 将成本转嫁到消费者身上 |
[30:28] | – Mr. Vice President. – Yeah, Chris. | -副总统先生 -是的,克里丝 |
[30:30] | Are you accusing members of the PPA of price gouging? | 你指控美国石油制品组织成员 抬高价格? |
[30:33] | Some of these CEOs are old friends of mine… | 这些总裁 有些人是我的老朋友 |
[30:36] | …but they do know how to turn a profit. | 但他们的确知道如何捞钱 |
[30:39] | They’ll claim prices will go down after production increases…. | 他们会宣称产量增加 价格会降低 |
[30:42] | Hoynes just kept hammering away. | 何尼斯不断地说着 |
[30:44] | And I was reminded how close he came to being elected president. | 我想起 他差一点就能成为总统 |
[30:48] | Toby said it was an impressive display… | 托比说那是很精彩的演说 |
[30:51] | …but couldn’t get past the question of why he volunteered to do it. | 但无法回答 他为什么自愿这么做 |
[30:55] | If you wonder what the president does during a filibuster… | 如果你在想 议事拖延时总统在做什么 |
[30:58] | …I don’t know. This is our first. | 我不知道,这是我们的第一次 |
[31:00] | A t the moment, he’s in his private dining room having dinner. | 这时他在他的私人餐厅吃晚餐 |
[31:03] | There’s a famous French chef visiting, and every time he comes… | 一位有名的法国厨师来访 每次他来 |
[31:06] | …he cooks for the president. | 都会做菜给总统吃 |
[31:08] | Leo. | 里奥 |
[31:09] | – Good evening, sir. – You busy? | -晚安,长官 -你在忙吗? |
[31:11] | – What do you need? – Come have dinner with me. | -有什么事吗? -跟我一起吃晚餐 |
[31:13] | – Why? – Pierre Boileau is cooking tonight. | -为什么? -今晚皮耶波利露要做菜 |
[31:17] | – You want to have dinner? – What’s he serving? | -你要吃晚餐吗? -他要做什么菜? |
[31:19] | – That’s your answer? – I’m just asking. | -那是你的答案吗? -我只是在问 |
[31:22] | Well, I can tell you that the man specializes in a reinterpretation… | 我可以告诉你 他专长重新诠释 |
[31:25] | …of classic Provencale cuisine. | 经典的普罗旺斯名菜 |
[31:28] | – Cassoulet, duck with green olives… – Yeah. | -什锦砂锅,绿橄榄鸭 -对 |
[31:30] | …saffron chicken. | 番红花鸡肉 |
[31:31] | I haven’t had a good saffron chicken in some time. | 我有很久 没吃过好吃的番红花鸡肉了 |
[31:34] | – Well, don’t you think you deserve one? – Yes. | -你不觉得你该吃一点吗? -对 |
[31:36] | His specialty is his dessert, tomate du saltambique. | 他的专长是甜点 焦糖心番茄 |
[31:40] | That’s gonna be a big seedless beefsteak tomato… | 它是一颗大大的 无籽牛蕃茄 |
[31:43] | …stewed for three hours in crème de caramel… | 放在焦糖蛋奶里 煮三个小时 |
[31:45] | – … and stuffed with… – Passion fruit, kiwi and hazelnuts. And…. | -再加上 -百香果,奇异果跟榛果,还有 |
[31:49] | – Served on a pomegranate reduction. – Let’s go. | -淋上石榴汁 -我们走吧 |
[31:52] | – Leave the cell phone. – I’m taking my phone. | -别带行动电话 -我要带电话去 |
[31:54] | We’re not leaving the building. People can find you. | 我们没有离开白宫 大家能找到你 |
[31:56] | – Let’s go. – What’s he on to now? | -我们走吧 -现在他要做什么? |
[31:58] | – He’s reading the rules of cards. – Oh, brother. | -他在介绍纸牌规则 -天啊 |
[32:02] | Don’t worry about it. | 别担心 |
[32:03] | Could Howard Stackhouse possibly be a bigger horse’s patoot? | 霍华史塔克豪斯 会爆出冷门吗? |
[32:06] | I don’t know what part of a horse that is exactly… | 我不觉得 他会成功 |
[32:09] | …but I’ve always thought he was a decent guy. | 但我一直都认为 他是个好人 |
[32:11] | He’s a curmudgeon, a grouchy old crank. | 他是个吝啬鬼 一个老顽固 |
[32:14] | – So are we. – You are. I am full of mirth. | -我们都是 -你才是,我充满欢乐 |
[32:16] | He was all over me the first year. He called me ” Bartlet the Inert. “ | 第一年他不停批评我 他叫我“白痴巴特勒” |
[32:19] | – It was funny. – I’m a reformer. | -那很有趣 -我是改革者 |
[32:21] | I’m the most liberal president he’s served under. | 我是他见过 最自由派的总统 |
[32:24] | His hero, Hubert Humphrey… | 他的英雄韩福瑞 |
[32:25] | – Shook your hand. – That’s right. | -跟你握过手 -没错 |
[32:31] | – I feel bad. – Why? | -我觉得很难过 -为什么? |
[32:33] | His wife died a few years ago. I didn’t go to the funeral. | 几年前他太太过身 我没有去参加葬礼 |
[32:36] | Why? | 为什么? |
[32:37] | – I was busy running for president. – That’s right. | -我忙着竞选总统 -没错 |
[32:40] | – Tomate du saltambique, my friend. – Yes, indeed. | -焦糖心番茄,我的朋友 -太棒了 |
[32:44] | Good evening. | 晚安 |
[32:45] | Hi. Hang on. | 等一下 |
[32:49] | They thought I was gonna be eating with Abbey… | 他们以为 我会跟艾碧一起吃饭 |
[32:52] | …so we’ll just, you know, pretend there’s no candlelight. | 我们得假装 这不是烛光晚餐 |
[32:55] | Or that we’re not paranoid homophobes in any way. | 或我们不喜欢同性 |
[33:02] | Yeah. | 是 |
[33:03] | Leo, you have a deputy who’s, frankly, a lot smarter than you are. | 里奥,你有个副手 比你聪明多了 |
[33:06] | – Let him handle it. Who you talking to? – My deputy. Yeah. | -让他去处理,你在跟谁说话? -我的副手 |
[33:13] | What does he say? | 他说什么? |
[33:15] | – He says there’s no end in sight. – Okay, let’s eat. | -他说事情一直无法结束 -好吧,我们吃饭吧 |
[33:26] | “To get cash for your chips, you have to go to the cashier’s cage of the casino. “ | “为了兑现筹码 你得到赌场的柜台去” |
[33:32] | – C.J.? – Yeah. | -茜洁? -什么事? |
[33:33] | I was looking at the B-roll they’re showing on the Stackhouse story… | 我找出史塔克豪斯 专访的拷贝带 |
[33:37] | – … and there’s something odd. – What? | -我发现怪怪的 -什么? |
[33:40] | They show two different events during his last campaign… | 在他上次竞选 他们报导了两件事 |
[33:42] | …and his grandchildren are next to him. He’s got seven. | 他的孙儿都陪在他身边 他有七个孙儿 |
[33:45] | – What’s the problem? – There are only six in the shot. | -那有什么问题? -镜头里只有六个 |
[33:49] | I don’t think this is what we think it is. I don’t think he’s just being ornery. | 我想我们应该是误会了 他不只是因为顽固才那样做 |
[33:53] | I think he has a grandson who’s autistic. | 我想他有个孙子 得了自闭症 |
[33:57] | Oh, holy hell. | 我的天啊 |
[33:59] | – Tell Josh. Find out for sure. – Yeah. | -告诉乔西,去确定一下 -好的 |
[34:03] | – More brandy, sir? – No, I’m fine. | -还要白兰地吗? -不,不需要了 |
[34:06] | I hope the first lady’s not feeling ill. | 希望第一夫人没生病 |
[34:09] | – No, she’s up at the Manchester house. – Very good, sir. | -不,她在曼彻斯特大屋里 -非常好 |
[34:12] | – No, it really sucks, but thanks. – Yes, sir. | -不,那真的很烂,但是谢谢你 -是的,长官 |
[34:19] | You hear that? He said, “Very good, sir. ” Where do they learn that? | 你听到了吗?他说“非常好” 他们是在哪里学会的? |
[34:22] | – Yeah. I’m sorry? – Nothing. | -是的,有什么事吗? -没事 |
[34:26] | I’m sure that was moved for a reason. | 我相信那会改变是有原因的 |
[34:28] | We’re prepping for a G-8 with Barney, and we’re going to Tel Aviv. | 我们准备跟巴特尼开G-8高峰会 我们要到特拉维夫去 |
[34:32] | – I just feel like we don’t talk anymore. – Tel Aviv is the week after. | -我觉得我们无话可说 -特拉维夫是一星期后的事 |
[34:36] | What? | 什么? |
[34:37] | See, you’re not even listening. | 看吧,你根本没在听 |
[34:41] | Ben, let me call you back. | 班,我再回你电话 |
[34:47] | What’s your problem? | 你有什么问题? |
[34:48] | I’m just saying we work all day, then the day’s over… | 我只是说我们工作了一整天 下班后 |
[34:51] | …and we go out to dinner, and you’re still working. | 我们一起吃晚餐 而你还在工作 |
[34:53] | And, you know, I’m sitting here…. No time to talk. | 你知道我坐在这里 没时间聊天 |
[34:58] | You know, conversations like this are the reason I got divorced. | 这样的谈话 就是导致我离婚的原因 |
[35:03] | No, it’s not. | 不,不是的 |
[35:15] | Sir. | 长官 |
[35:18] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了? |
[35:21] | – I made… – I’m fine, Billy. | -我做了 -我很好,比利 |
[35:32] | I made a deal with Abbey. | 我跟艾碧有个协议 |
[35:37] | Because of my thing. | 因为我的病情 |
[35:41] | One term? | 一个条件? |
[35:48] | My thing, by the way, is the reason that Hoynes stepped up on oil. | 还有,我的病情 就是何尼斯对抗石油业的原因 |
[35:53] | – Because he thinks maybe…. – Yeah. | -因为他想或许 -对 |
[35:57] | It was three years ago, she can’t expect… | 那是三年前的事 她不能期待 |
[36:06] | Yeah. | 是 |
[36:10] | Yeah. | 好 |
[36:13] | It’s C.J. Stackhouse has an autistic grandson. | 是茜洁 史塔克豪斯有个孙儿得了自闭症 |
[36:21] | – Let’s go. – C.J., we’re coming up. | -我们走吧 -茜洁,我们来了 |
[36:28] | – Charlie. – He’s just coming over. | -查理 -他来了 |
[36:30] | – Thanks. Can we wait? – Yeah. | -谢谢,我们能等吗? -是的 |
[36:32] | Look, one of us is going to have to tell the president that the statue’s broken. | 听着,我们之中有人得告诉总统 陶像破了 |
[36:35] | – It’s not broken. – It is broken. | -它没有破 -它破了 |
[36:36] | – She Krazy Glued it back together. – You Krazy Glued it? | -她用强力胶把它黏好了 -你用强力胶把它黏好了? |
[36:39] | I didn’t know what it was. I needed a potpourri holder. | 我不知道那是什么? 我需要一个架子 |
[36:41] | I have the ancient curse of Bast on me, so get off my back, Sparky. | 巴特斯对我下了古老诅咒 离我远一点,史派奇 |
[36:45] | Okay, but when you tell him, I’d leave out the Krazy Glue. | 好吧,但当你告诉他时 我不会提强力胶的事 |
[36:47] | – And potpourri, right? – Yeah. | -还有架子,对吧? -对 |
[36:49] | Here we go. | 来吧 |
[36:51] | – How does he not just tell me? – Sir. | -他怎么不告诉我? -长官 |
[36:53] | How does he not come to me and say, “Jed, this is my grandson. | 他为什么不来找我说: “杰德,这是我孙儿 |
[36:56] | There are lots more like him and more to come. Can you help us? “ | 有很多孩子跟他一样 以后还会有更多,你能帮我们吗?” |
[36:59] | – Because he… – Damn it, we would’ve gotten it done. | -因为他 -该死,我们是会加入那条款的 |
[37:02] | – Why doesn’t he tell me? – He doesn’t wanna make political hay… | -他为什么不告诉我? -他不希望为了他孙儿 |
[37:05] | …out of his grandson, which is commendable. | 引发政坛口水战 这样做会引起评论 |
[37:07] | He’s a crank. | 他是个老顽固 |
[37:09] | – Good evening, Mr. President. – Hey. | -晚安,总统先生 -嘿 |
[37:12] | – Hey, Donna, you need something? – She’s the one who started sniffing. | -唐娜,你有什么事吗? -是她先发现的 |
[37:15] | That phone message was for real, he’s not gonna stop till he drops. | 那电话留言的语气很认真 他不倒下是不会放弃的 |
[37:19] | He might. | 他可能会放弃 |
[37:20] | Let me tell you something, don’t ever underestimate the will of a grandfather. | 我得告诉你一件事 千万别低估爷爷的意志力 |
[37:25] | We’re mad. We don’t give a damn. We got here before you, and they’ll be here after. | 我们疯了,我们不在乎 我们会一代传一代的反对 |
[37:29] | We’ll make enemies, we’ll break laws, we’ll break bones… | 我们会树敌 我们破坏规则,会粉身碎骨 |
[37:32] | …but you will not mess with the grandchildren. | 但千万别惹毛了孙儿们 |
[37:35] | There was quite a bit of sugar in the crème de caramel. | 焦糖蛋奶的糖太多了 |
[37:39] | If I told you to screw the print deadline, what would you wanna do right now? | 如果我告诉你去他的头条新闻 你会怎么做? |
[37:46] | I’d want to see if there was a way I could help him out. | 我会想办法帮助他 |
[37:49] | Give him some dignity, right? And give him a rest, he’s gonna collapse. | 给他一点面子,好吗? 让他休息一下,他会崩溃的 |
[37:53] | – Yes, sir. – Screw the print deadline. | -是的 -去他的头条新闻 |
[37:55] | Leo, we will talk about the other thing later. | 里奥,待会我们才谈别的事 |
[37:57] | I’m just asking how we’re gonna do this. | 我只是要问 我们该怎么做 |
[38:00] | – Excuse me. – The chairman’s gonna gavel him off. | -对不起 -主席要赶他出去 |
[38:03] | Excuse me. | 对不起 |
[38:06] | – What are you doing? – I didn’t know if I’m supposed to. | -你在做什么? -我不知道我该不该这么做 |
[38:09] | – We usually don’t raise our hands. – Though it’s not the worst idea. | -通常我们不会举手 -但那不是最糟糕的做法 |
[38:13] | The senator’s allowed to yield for a question without yielding the floor. | 参议员可以因为有人发问而让出发言权 但他之后可以再发言 |
[38:16] | – What do you mean? – He’s allowed to yield for a question… | -你是什么意思? -他可以因为有人发问而让出发言权 |
[38:19] | …without yielding the floor. | 但他之后可以再发言 |
[38:24] | I was in the House, I know nothing about Senate rules. | 我之前是众议员 我不了解参议院的规则 |
[38:26] | Yes, sir, but Josh does and he likes to explain things. | 是的,但乔西知道 他喜欢解释 |
[38:29] | I’m pretty sure it’s true. | 我相信 |
[38:31] | What time is it? Let’s wake up a parliamentarian. | 几点了? 快去叫醒一位国会议员 |
[38:33] | Yeah, but the only people who ask questions are senators. | 对,会问问题的人 是参议员 |
[38:36] | – We’re gonna get one. Charlie! – The Senate wants to go home, to vote. | -我们会找参议员来,查理 -参议员要回家跟投票 |
[38:40] | – Yes. – I wanna call senators. | -对 -我要打电话给参议员 |
[38:42] | Start with friends. And after those two, we’ll go on to the other 98. | 从朋友开始,他们两个不同意 才找其他九十八位参议员 |
[38:45] | – Yes, sir. – Charlie. | -是的 -查理 |
[38:46] | – Start with grandfathers. – Yes, ma’am. | -从爷爷辈开始 -是的 |
[38:48] | There’s no damn holiday for us either. | 我们也没有放假的时候 |
[38:51] | – We’ll be in the dining room. – C.J., no kidding. | -我们会在餐厅里 -茜洁,别开玩笑 |
[38:54] | – Make this happen. – Yes, sir. | -让这一切成真 -是的 |
[38:56] | Oh, and I broke your statue. | 我打破了你的陶像 |
[38:59] | – I don’t think he heard you. – No. | -我想他没有听到 -没错 |
[39:02] | The water peaked at 3690 feet last month… | 上个月 水涨到三千六百九十尺 |
[39:05] | …because of an uncontrolled release from Lake Powell. | 因为鲍威尔湖水大量溢出 |
[39:07] | – You mean the leak of Lake Powell. – I suppose. | -你是说鲍威尔湖的水漏出 -我想是的 |
[39:10] | – I am going home. – Good night, sir. | -我要回家了 -晚安,长官 |
[39:13] | – Good night. – Mr. Vice President. | -晚安 -副总统先生 |
[39:15] | – Didn’t I do it right? – No, you did it very well. I appreciate it. | -我做的不对吗? -不,你做的很好,谢谢你 |
[39:19] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[39:20] | I’m sure you know I was curious about why you’d volunteer for that. | 我相信你知道我很好奇 你为什么要那么做 |
[39:23] | Yeah. | 对 |
[39:25] | So I got ahold of some private polling you’ve had done. | 我找出了 一些你做的私人民调 |
[39:28] | Oh. Yeah? | 是吗? |
[39:30] | A significant number of people are concerned over your close ties to big oil. | 很多人关心 你跟大型石油公司关系密切 |
[39:36] | – Well, not anymore. – Yeah. | -不再是了 -对 |
[39:40] | But what I was wondering was, why did you put the poll in the field at all? | 但我很纳闷为什么 你会做那份民调? |
[39:47] | Mr. Vice President, what do you know that I don’t? | 副总统先生 你知道什么我不知道的事吗? |
[39:52] | Toby, the total tonnage of what I know that you don’t… | 托比 我知道但你不知道的大事 |
[39:55] | …could stun a team of oxen in its tracks. | 可以吓得一堆牛 拔腿狂奔 |
[39:58] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[40:06] | And then came the big moment, Dad. | 然后伟大的一刻到了,爸 |
[40:09] | Everyone was enlisted. | 大家都被征召 |
[40:10] | You called whoever you knew… | 打电话给你认识的人 |
[40:12] | …and if that didn’t work, they got a call from the president. | 如果对方不答应 他们会接到总统的电话 |
[40:15] | Do I have your word on that? | 你能跟我保证吗? |
[40:16] | We’d been at it 20 minutes, coming up with nothing until…. | 我们等了二十分钟 一直没有结果,直到 |
[40:19] | Got it! | 有了! |
[40:21] | Senator Tom Grissom of Washington State was headed to the chamber… | 华盛顿州的汤姆葛利森参议员 走向参议员 |
[40:24] | …and everybody started flooding into the communications bullpen to see. | 大家开始走去媒体中心 等着看结果 |
[40:28] | The problem being Stackhouse would have to know about rules and procedures… | 问题是史塔克豪斯需要清楚 知道规则跟程序 |
[40:33] | …and not think we were trying to screw him. | 而不是认为我们想整他 |
[40:34] | We stared at 14 different television sets while calculating… | 我们盯着十四台电视机看,计算 |
[40:38] | …the time it would take Grissom to walk to the floor. | 葛利森需要多久才会发问 |
[40:41] | And we were in frozen silence while we listened to the rules of blackjack. | 当我们在听ぼ一点的规则的时候 我们陷入一片沉默 |
[40:45] | …”unless you are counting cards. “ | “除非你在算牌” |
[40:46] | And then it happened. | 然后事情发生了 |
[40:48] | Point of order, Mr. Chairman! | 程序问题,主席! |
[40:51] | Mr. Grissom? | 葛利森先生? |
[40:54] | Will the senator yield for a question? | 参议员能提出质问吗? |
[40:58] | Come on. | 答应吧 |
[41:03] | – Mr. Stackhouse? – Come on. | -史塔克豪斯先生? -答应吧 |
[41:09] | Trust me just this once you grouchy, old son of a bitch. | 相信我这一次 你这个顽固的大混蛋 |
[41:14] | Mr. Chairman… | 主席 |
[41:16] | …I yield to the senator from Washington for a question. | 因为华盛顿州参议员要提出问题 我会让出发言权 |
[41:20] | My question is in 22 parts and might take quite a while. | 我的问题分为二十二个部分 那得花点时间 |
[41:25] | Perhaps you’d like to sit and have some water while I ask it. | 或许我在发问时 你想坐下来喝杯水 |
[41:29] | Yes! | 太棒了! |
[41:31] | And that was it. | 就是那样 |
[41:32] | Grissom gave him a rest and an opportunity… | 葛利森让他休息 给了他机会 |
[41:35] | …to answer some real questions about autism. | 回答关于自闭症的问题 |
[41:37] | And when Grissom was done, McNamara took over. | 葛利森问完后 麦纳马拉接手 |
[41:40] | And after McNamara came Gianelli. | 麦纳马拉之后是吉尼利 |
[41:43] | Grandfathers, all. | 他们都是爷爷 |
[41:45] | I’ll have to finish this now and go into the press room… | 我现在得把电邮写完 然后到媒体室去 |
[41:47] | …and explain what happened. | 解释发生了什么事 |
[41:49] | There will be no vote tonight, and the Senate will go home. | 今晚不会有投票 参议员都会回家去 |
[41:52] | Stackhouse, with our help, blew the print deadline anyway… | 在我们的帮助下 史塔克豪斯搞砸了头条新闻 |
[41:55] | …there’s really no reason for Josh not to go back and reopen the bill. | 乔西也没有理由不重新协商法案 |
[42:00] | There are so many days where you can’t imagine anything good will happen. | 很多时候 你以为不会发生好事 |
[42:04] | You’re buried under a fog of partisanship and self-promotion and stupidity… | 你被政党偏见 自大跟愚蠢 |
[42:09] | …and a brand of politics that’s just plain mean. | 还有政治倾向所蒙蔽 而那是没有意义的 |
[42:12] | Yes, Hoynes had us nervous with his admonishment of big oil… | 何尼斯训诫石油业 让我们很紧张 |
[42:15] | …and the president was making us nervous too. But that’s for tomorrow. | 总统也让我们很紧张 但那留到明天再说吧 |
[42:19] | Tonight, I’ve seen a man with no legs stay standing, Dad… | 今晚我看到 一个永不放弃的人,爸爸 |
[42:22] | …and a guy with no voice keep shouting. | 即使声音沙哑他还是要说 |
[42:24] | And if politics brings out the worst in people… | 如果政治 能让人露出最丑恶的一面 |
[42:27] | …maybe people bring out the best. | 或许人能让人露出最好的一面 |
[42:29] | Because I’m looking at the TV right now, and damn if 28 U. S. senators… | 因为我正在看电视 看着二十八位美国参议员 |
[42:33] | …haven’t just walked onto the floor to help. | 到议场里帮忙 |
[42:35] | I’ll catch a plane in the morning… | 明天一早我会搭飞机 |
[42:37] | …and if you wouldn’t mind not turning 70 until tomorrow, that’d be great. | 如果你不介意明天再过七十岁生日 那真的是太好了 |
[42:41] | In the meantime, I love you so much. Your daughter, Claudia. | 同时我非常地爱你 女儿茜洁上 |