时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | – Previously on The West Wing: – You’re scared of Babish. | -你害怕巴比西 |
[00:08] | Like you’re not. Oliver, I’m gonna tell you a story… | 好像你不怕一样 奥力佛,我告诉你个故事 |
[00:10] | …and I need you to tell me whether I’ve engaged 16 people… | 我需要你告诉我 我是否让16个人 |
[00:13] | …in a criminal conspiracy to defraud the public… | 从事了犯罪来欺骗大众 |
[00:16] | …in order to win an election. | 来赢得选举 |
[00:17] | Have you signed a document in which you were asked about your health… | 你有没有签过一份 询问你健康状况的文件 |
[00:21] | – … and did not disclose you have MS? – No. | -但没说明你有多发性硬化症? -没有 |
[00:23] | – Toby? – Yeah? | -托比? -是? |
[00:25] | – Why are you lying to me? – Charlie… | -你为什么骗我? -查理 |
[00:27] | When Zoey and Ellie went to college, they had to fill out a health form. | 当柔伊和艾莉上大学时 必须填写健康资料表 |
[00:30] | Because she was 17, a parent had to sign it. | 因为她当时17岁 必须要有家长签名 |
[00:33] | – And she left off the MS? – Yeah. | -而她没写上多发性硬化症? -对 堕落会让你丧命 <白宫律师办公室 清晨五点三十分> |
[00:49] | – Good morning. | – Good morning. -早 -早 |
[00:51] | – Did anyone see you come here? – I don’t know. | -有人看到你来吗? -我不知道 |
[00:53] | – Why not? – I wasn’t paying that much attention. | -为什么不知道? -我没注意 |
[00:56] | I wish you would. | 我希望你注意了 |
[00:58] | I walked from my office to your office. | 我从我办公室走到你办公室 |
[01:00] | – Is there press outside your office? – Not at 5:30 a.m. | -你办公室外有媒体吗? -清晨五点半不会有的 |
[01:03] | When did you find out about the president’s MS? | 你何时发现 总统有多发性硬化症? |
[01:07] | Last night, when Leo told me. | 昨晚,当里奥告诉我时 |
[01:09] | – Who else was there? – Nobody. | -还有谁在那儿? -没有别人 |
[01:11] | – Nobody else was in the room? – No. | -房间里没有别人了? -没有 |
[01:13] | Have you ever lied about the president’s health? | 你对总统健康撒过谎吗? |
[01:15] | – Should I have my lawyer here? – I’m your lawyer. | -我该找我的律师来吗? -我是你的律师 |
[01:17] | – You’re the president’s lawyer. – I’m White House counsel. | -你是总统的律师 -我是白宫律师 |
[01:20] | Have you lied about his health? | 你对他的健康撒过谎吗? |
[01:22] | – When did he tell you? – I’m sorry? | -他何时告诉你的? -抱歉? |
[01:23] | – When did the president tell you? – Six days ago. | -总统何时告诉你的? -6天前 |
[01:26] | – And Josh? – Two days after that. | -乔西呢? -之后两天 |
[01:28] | – Toby? – Two days before he told me. | -托比呢? -他告诉我之前两天 |
[01:30] | Have you lied about the president’s health? | 你对总统健康撒过谎吗? |
[01:32] | – And Leo he told more than a year ago. – Yeah. | -他一年前就告诉了里奥 -是 |
[01:34] | I’ve had this for six hours, so giving me some room… | 我才知道了6小时 让我好好想一下 |
[01:36] | …wouldn’t be out of line, know what I’m saying? | 不会太过份吧 知道我的意思? |
[01:39] | I have to ask you questions. | 我必须要问你问题 |
[01:40] | The less you could be pissed at the world for no reason, the better I think. | 我想你越少毫无原因地发脾气越好 |
[01:46] | – I don’t know you. – I’m sorry? | -我不认识你 -什么? |
[01:48] | I was told to report to you, I don’t know you. | 有人要我向你报告 我不认识你 |
[01:50] | – You’ve been here, what? – Three months. | -你来这儿多久了? -三个月 |
[01:52] | – Three months. Why should I trust you? – I don’t care if you trust me. | -三个月,我为什么要信任你? -我不管你信不信任我 |
[01:55] | – Imagine my shock. – I’ve got better things to do. | -这真吓坏我了 -那是你的事情 |
[01:58] | This is going really well so far. It’s hard to believe… | 目前为止进行真是顺利 很难相信 |
[02:01] | …that four different women have sued you for divorce. | 有四个不同女人 向你提出离婚告诉 |
[02:08] | You can do that if you want. I’ve been through it with Josh and Toby… | 你可以这么做 我已经和乔西和托比谈过 |
[02:13] | …but you’re gonna have to answer questions. | 但你还是必须要回答问题 |
[02:15] | – Either to you or…? – A grand jury. | -对你还是? -大陪审团 |
[02:16] | – Compelled by? – A Justice Department subpoena. | -那里的? -司法部传唤 |
[02:19] | Well, I have to tell you it’ll be the first time I’ve been asked out in a while, so… | 我必须告诉你 很久以来这是我第一次被询问 |
[02:24] | It’s entirely possible that the president has committed… | 总统非常可能犯下了 |
[02:27] | …multiple counts of a federal crime to which you were an accomplice. | 多项联邦罪名,而你是从犯 |
[02:32] | That much has sunk in in the last six hours. | 这我在6小时内了解到了 |
[02:34] | – Has it? – Yes. | -有吗? -有 |
[02:36] | So why don’t you knock off the cutie-pie crap… | 你何不停止搔首弄姿 |
[02:38] | …and answer the damn question?! | 开始回答问题?! |
[02:42] | What was the question? | 问题是什么? |
[02:43] | Have you ever lied about the president’s health? What is your answer? | 你对总统的健康撒过谎吗? 你的答案是什么? |
[02:49] | Many, many times. | 很多很多次 罗伯洛 杜希尔 艾莉森詹尼 珍妮尔摩隆奈 里察薛福 约翰史宾赛 布雷迪威佛德 马丁辛 |
[03:47] | – Mr. Connelly? – Yes. | -康那利先生? -是 |
[03:49] | I’m Donna Moss, Josh Lyman’s assistant. | 我是唐娜摩斯 乔西赖曼的助理 |
[03:51] | He’s tied up with Mr. McGarry. I hope you don’t mind waiting. | 他和马加瑞先生在谈话 希望你不介意多等一会儿 |
[03:55] | No. | 不介意 |
[03:59] | Does anybody know if it’s gonna rain this afternoon? They’re asking me. | 有谁知道今天下午会不会下雨? 他们在问我 |
[04:03] | – The paper said mid-afternoon. – So we know it won’t be that. | -报上说下午之后有可能 -所以刚好相反 |
[04:06] | – Call the Navy Yard for me, would you? – Yeah. | -请你替我打电话问海军好吗? -好 |
[04:11] | – Donna. – Yeah. | -唐娜 -是 |
[04:12] | – Have you seen C.J.? – No, what’s so funny? | -唐娜 -是 -你看到茜洁了吗? -没,什么事这么好笑? |
[04:14] | Ed just got a fax from…. | 艾德刚拿到传真 |
[04:16] | I’m sorry. Ed got a fax from a man named Byron Talmadge. | 抱歉,艾德拿到一份 有个叫拜仑谭马吉的人传来的传真 |
[04:19] | He’s the associate administrator for NASA’s Office of Space Cadets. | 他是太空总署太空实习办公室 的副行政长官 |
[04:23] | – Flight. – Office of Space Flight. | -飞行 -太空飞行办公室 |
[04:25] | – The OSF. – What’d the fax say? | -飞行 -太空飞行办公室 -简称飞行室 -传真说什么? |
[04:26] | A Chinese satellite is gonna crash to Earth… | 有一颗中国卫星将坠毁地球 |
[04:29] | …and we don’t know where and when. | 不知道何时何地 |
[04:31] | – Seriously? – Yeah, it’s right here in the fax. | -真的? -对,传真里这么说的 |
[04:33] | A satellite is crashing to Earth and NASA sent us a fax? | 一颗卫星将坠毁地球 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 |
[04:37] | – Yeah. – This is for real? | 太空总署传真给我们? -对 -真的? |
[04:39] | Yes. | -对 -真的? 对 |
[04:40] | – A satellite is gonna crash into the Earth? – Yes. | 对 -一颗卫星将坠毁地球? -对 |
[04:42] | – Why are you laughing? – We thought it was funny. | -你们为什么笑? -我们觉得很可笑 |
[04:45] | What am I supposed to do with this? | 我该拿这怎么办? |
[04:47] | The fax was for C.J. Just give it to her when you see her. | 传真是给茜洁的 你看到她时给她就好 |
[04:51] | Donna, they say it’s not gonna rain this afternoon. | 制片:李维林威尔斯 唐娜,他们说今天下午不会下雨 |
[04:55] | Well, that’s a relief. | 让人松了一口气 |
[04:57] | – Hear me out on this, okay? – Yeah. | -听我说好不好? -好 |
[04:59] | We want to see some polling. | 编剧:艾伦索金 我们要看民调 |
[05:01] | – Why? – We need to know what to do next. | -为什么? -我们需要知道下一步怎么做 |
[05:04] | – We know what to do. – We don’t know… | -我们知道要怎么做 -我们不知道 |
[05:06] | …which is the more insurmountable problem, the perception that… | 那一个问题比较大 是认知 导演:克利斯多福弥西亚诺 |
[05:15] | We’ll call back. | 我们再回电 |
[05:21] | The perception that he’s not physically up to the job or that he lied about it. | 是认知到他的健康不胜任工作 还是他对此说谎一事 |
[05:25] | There’s no way to gauge public opinion on this until the issue occurs. | 直到问题发生时 没有办法判断大众的意见 |
[05:29] | Public opinion is gonna be shaped by the press. | 大众意见会被媒体塑造 |
[05:32] | All public opinion is shaped by the press… | 所有大众意见 都是媒体塑造出来的 |
[05:34] | …but the fundamental foundation already exists in their perception of… | 但基本的基础 已经存在于他们的认知 |
[05:38] | – How are you gonna take a poll…? – We can do it. | -你要如何调查民意? -我们可以做到 |
[05:40] | – Look… – Leo. | -听着 -里奥 |
[05:42] | I don’t trust any of our people and even if I did… | -听着 -里奥 我不信任我们的人 而即使我信任他们 |
[05:44] | …what questions could they ask that won’t trip an alarm? | 他们能问什么不会引起 天翻地覆的问题呢? |
[05:47] | Josh trusts Joey Lucas. | 乔西相信乔伊路卡斯 |
[05:50] | – From California? – Yeah, she’s flying in. | -加州那个? -对,她正飞过来 |
[05:53] | – What did you tell her? – That we were commissioning a poll… | -你告诉了她什么? -我们在做一项调查 |
[05:55] | …to explore attitudes toward subsurface agricultural products. | 来探询对地面下农产品的态度 |
[05:59] | – Subsurface agricultural… – Underground. | -地面下农 -地下 |
[06:01] | – What the hell…? – Americans eat more beets. | -那什么鬼? -美国人吃更多甜菜 |
[06:03] | – Beets? – Yeah. | -甜菜? -对 |
[06:07] | – All right. – Okay? | -好吧 -好? |
[06:11] | Yeah. | 好 |
[06:14] | Toby, you want to talk about when we tell Sam? | 托比,你想谈谈何时告诉山姆吗? |
[06:17] | – I wouldn’t do it right now. – Why? | -我现在不想 -为什么? |
[06:20] | His head is in the SME speech for Chicago. | 他专注在芝加哥的演讲 |
[06:22] | – The thing… – Hang on. | -这件事 -等一下 |
[06:24] | His head is in Chicago. That’s where we need it. | 他专注在芝加哥 正是我们需要的 |
[06:26] | Would you want to write the speech with this around your neck? | 你想要在写那份讲稿时 还再想着这事吗? |
[06:29] | No. | 不 |
[06:31] | The president wants him to know by the end of the day. | 总统要他在明天前知道 |
[06:34] | – The end of the day, then. – Okay. | -知道了 -好 |
[06:39] | – Anything else? – No, thanks. | -有别的事吗? -没有,谢谢 |
[06:41] | – Thank you. – Thanks. | -谢谢 -谢谢 |
[06:51] | – When does she get here? – 6:00. | -她什么时候到? -六点 |
[06:53] | – You do this carefully. – No kidding. | -你要小心地进行 -我会的 |
[06:55] | You trust this person? | 你信任这个人? |
[06:58] | I gotta trust somebody right now. | 现在我必须要信任某个人 |
[07:00] | Good, because I don’t trust anybody right now. | 很好,因为现在我谁也不相信 |
[07:04] | – Josh? – Yeah. | -乔西? -是 |
[07:08] | A fax was sent to the Press Office from the Office of Space Flight at NASA. | 太空总署的太空飞行办公室 送了份传真给媒体室 |
[07:12] | A Chinese satellite called Zodiac has fallen out of its orbit… | 有一颗叫黄带的中国卫星 脱离轨道 |
[07:15] | …and will be falling to Earth at an unspecified time and place. | 将在不确定的时间 坠毁地球上某处 |
[07:18] | – What are you telling me for? – What am I telling you for? | -你告诉我干嘛? -我告诉你干嘛? |
[07:21] | This thing is falling to Earth. Isn’t there something we do? | 这东西要掉在地球了 我们不能做点什么吗? |
[07:25] | – Like what? – Like sound the alarm, I don’t know. | -像是什么? -像是拉警报,我不知道 |
[07:27] | – Sound the alarm? – There is no alarm. | -拉警报? -没有警报器 |
[07:29] | – There’s really not. Martin? – Yes. | -对,马丁? -好吧 |
[07:31] | – Sorry to keep you. – That’s okay. | -抱歉耽误你了 -没关系 |
[07:33] | Come on back. The fax is for the Press Office. Give it to them. | 到里面来,这是给媒体室的传真 拿去给他们 |
[07:36] | The deputies are at breakfast and I don’t know where C.J. is. | 副长在早餐会 我不知道茜洁在哪儿 |
[07:39] | Martin, you can have a seat in my office. | 马丁,到我办公室坐 |
[07:43] | C.J. ‘s meeting with Babish. I’ll be inside. | 茜洁在和巴比西开会 我在里面 |
[07:46] | – You’re not concerned about this? – No. | -你不关心这事? -不 |
[07:49] | – I apologize again. – No, that’s all right. | -我再次道歉 -没关系 |
[07:52] | – I assume you know why I’m here. – I don’t, actually. | -我想你知道我来干嘛 -其实我并不知道 |
[07:57] | – Mac Sheridan was gonna talk to you. – I have a call to return to Mac. | -麦克沙登本来要和你说的 -有留言要我打给沙登 |
[08:02] | – I should wait until he talks to you. – Why don’t you talk to me now? | -我该等到他和你谈过以后 -你何不现在和我谈? |
[08:07] | The case is running out of money. | 这个案子的钱快用完了 |
[08:09] | – Which case? – The USV… | -那个案子? -那个烟草 |
[08:11] | – You’re kidding me. – No. | -你开玩笑 -没有 |
[08:13] | Martin, we spent 13 million the first year… | 马丁,第一年我们花了 1千3百万 |
[08:16] | …23 million the second. Where’s the money going? | 第二年2千3百万 钱都到哪里去了? |
[08:19] | Outside counsel and staff, depositions… | 外聘顾问和职员,记录 |
[08:22] | …expert witnesses, processing, database, research… | 专家证人,发传票 资料库,研究 |
[08:25] | We have 31 lawyers on a case against five tobacco companies… | 我们31位律师对抗 5家烟草公司 |
[08:30] | …just one of which has 342. | 其中一家就有342位律师 |
[08:32] | We won’t count the 13 subsidiaries that have mounted their own defense. | 还没算13个分支机构 在筹备他们自己的辩护 |
[08:36] | Tobacco has spent $380 million to the government’s 36. | 烟草公司花了3亿8千万 政府花了3千6百万 |
[08:42] | When I come asking for money, it’s not because the Justice Department… | 我来要钱的时候 不是因为司法部 |
[08:45] | …blew its allowance on video games. | 把钱乱花在电动游戏上 |
[08:53] | – I should’ve let Mac talk to you first. – Aren’t you allowed to transfer funds…? | -我应该让麦克先和你谈的 -你们不是可以转钱? |
[08:58] | That’s what we’ve been doing. | 我们一直在这么做 |
[09:00] | We’ve transferred money from Health and Human Services… | 我们从卫生部和人力资源 转钱过来 |
[09:03] | …to pay for the lawsuit, but then the House passed H. R. 260… | 付这个官司 但众议院批准了260修正案 |
[09:07] | – … and now the committees… – Yeah. | -现在委员会 -是啊 |
[09:09] | – You understand? – Yeah, let me run it by Leo. | -你了解? -是,让我向里奥报告 |
[09:14] | – This is a fight worth winning. – You don’t have to convince me. | -这是一场值得打赢的战争 -你不必说服我 |
[09:18] | These people perpetrated a fraud against the public. | 这些人犯了欺瞒大众的罪 |
[09:20] | I’m sorry? | 对不起? |
[09:23] | I said, they perpetrated a fraud against the public. | 我说这些人犯了欺瞒大众的罪 |
[09:28] | – The tobacco companies? – Yeah. | -烟草公司? -对 |
[09:34] | Well, I’m gonna talk to Leo, and I’ll tell Mac you were here. | 我会和里奥提这件事 也会让麦克知道你来过了 |
[09:37] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[09:45] | Let me just finish this. | 让我先说完 |
[09:47] | He was hemodynamically stable with a blood pressure of 140/80. | 他的血流动力稳定 血压140/80 |
[09:52] | Cholesterol level is 185. | 胆固醇185 |
[09:54] | The QRS interval on the EKG is slightly long, but otherwise good. | 心电图上的心跳间距有一点长 但其他都很好 |
[09:58] | The president is pronounced in excellent physical health. | 总统健康极佳 |
[10:01] | – Was that March of last year? – How many times have you done that? | -那是去年三月吗? -你这样做过几次? |
[10:05] | – I’d have to go and check. – Estimate. | -我必须查一查 -估计一下 |
[10:07] | If that was March of last year, then that was his fourth physical. | 如果那是去年三月一日 那么就是他第四次体检 |
[10:11] | A couple of times during the campaign. | 还有竞选时的几次 |
[10:13] | – And after the shooting. – Yeah? | -还有被刺之后 -还有呢? |
[10:15] | – The time he rode his bicycle into a tree. – When he sprained his ankle? | -他骑脚踏车撞上树那次 -他扭到脚踝那次? |
[10:19] | Tell me how it works. | 告诉我整件事如何进行 |
[10:20] | – What do you mean? – When the president has a physical. | -什么意思? -当总统做体检时 |
[10:23] | The president’s physician…. Right now it’s Admiral Leonard Morrow. | 总统的医生 现在是里纳马若上将 |
[10:27] | The president’s physician calls and gives me a short statement, including vitals. | 总统的医生打电话给我 给我一个简述,包括重要数据 |
[10:31] | – Then you make a statement? – Yeah. | -然后你做发表? -对 |
[10:33] | – Do you speak to the president before? – Yes. | -然后你做发表? -对 -你先和总统谈过吗? -是的 |
[10:36] | – Why? – Because of doctor-patient confidentiality. | -为什么? -因为医生病人间的保密约定 |
[10:39] | – You only get so much from the doctor. – What do you ask? | -医生不会全都告诉我的 -你怎么问总统的? |
[10:42] | ” Is there anything I should know the doctors won’t tell me? “ | “有什么医生不会告诉我 而我应该知道的?” |
[10:45] | – I’m gonna ask you something. – What? | -我要问你一件事 -什么? |
[10:47] | Do you say, ” Is there anything I should know? “ | 你是说: “有其他我应该知道的吗?” |
[10:49] | Or do you say, ” Is there anything I need to know? “ | 还是说 “有其他我需要知道的吗?” |
[10:51] | – What does it matter? – Which do you say? | -有什么关系? -你怎么问的? |
[10:54] | ” Is there anything I need to know? ” implies you want to know enough… | “还有其他我需要知道的吗?” 暗示你只想知道 |
[10:57] | …to face reporters while maintaining deniability. | 足够的消息来面对记者 而且不愿面对现实 |
[10:59] | – It’s an expression. – Did you use it? | -只是说话的方式 -你是这么说的吗? |
[11:01] | I really don’t remember, I don’t. | 我真的不记得了 |
[11:04] | – I don’t choose words that carefully. – With the president? | -我并没那么小心用字 -和总统说话时? |
[11:07] | – You think I speak to him in code? – No, I was just asking. | -你以为我用密码和他说话吗? -不,只是问一下 |
[11:15] | Yeah. | 进来 |
[11:17] | Excuse me. C.J., this is a note from Donna Moss. | 对不起,茜洁 这是唐娜摩斯给你的 |
[11:20] | – She wanted you to see it right away. – Thanks. | -她请你马上看 -谢谢 |
[11:31] | The sky is falling down. | 天要塌下来了 |
[11:36] | “The debate over a tax cut, whether to have one or not… | “减税的辩论 不论是要或是不要 |
[11:40] | …how large it should be, how small it should be… | 要减免的数量该是多少 |
[11:43] | …what share should be received by whom. All of this, my friends… | 是谁应该有多少减免额度 各位朋友,这些 |
[11:46] | …is the wrong debate at the wrong time over the wrong issue. “ | 都是在错误时间里 对错误问题的错误辩论” |
[11:50] | – We need to get back to fundamentals. – Where is that? | -我们需要回到基本面 -在哪里? |
[11:53] | – Where’s what? – “We need to get back to fundamentals. “ | -什么在哪里? -“我们需要回到基本面” |
[11:55] | It’s not in the speech, I’m saying it. We need to get back to fundamentals. | 不在讲稿里,我现在说的 我们需要回到基本面 |
[12:01] | Excuse me. Think about fundamentals. | 对不起,想想基本面 |
[12:07] | – You ready for some good news? – Yeah. | -想听好消息吗? -是 |
[12:09] | Not out here. | 不要在这里 |
[12:15] | This is gonna be a front-page story. | 这会上头条 |
[12:17] | There’s a front-page story I don’t know about yet? | 有我还不知道的头条吗? |
[12:19] | – You’ll know about it in two hours. – But I’m gonna know about it now, right? | -二小时内你就会知道了 -但我现在就会知道了,对吗? |
[12:23] | The CBO’s gonna issue a new estimate of the surplus. | 国会预算局要发表新的盈余估计 |
[12:26] | – They’re projecting down? – Yeah. | -他们删减了预算? -对 |
[12:28] | – We don’t have as much money? – No. | -我们没有那么多钱? -没有 |
[12:29] | – That’s great news. – Yeah. | -大好消息 -是啊 |
[12:31] | It’s not great news we have less money. The floor fight’s gonna be easier. | 不是我们没那么多钱是好消息 而是在议院吵架时会比较容易 |
[12:34] | – Yeah. – How much less money? | -是啊 -少了多少? |
[12:36] | Eight years out it’s 200 billion less. Nine years out it’s 400 billion less. | 8年之内少两万亿 9年之内少四万亿 |
[12:40] | – That is great. – Yep. | -太好了 -是啊 |
[12:42] | – It’s not great that we have… – We get why it’s great. | -太好了不是因为我们 -我们了解为什么太好了 |
[12:44] | I can’t tell you how much this helps. | 这帮助太大了 |
[12:46] | I’m drafting the SME speech for Chicago… | 我在起草芝加哥的演讲稿 |
[12:49] | That’s why we’re telling you. There’s a line that ATJ… | 这是为什么我们要告诉你 公平税收协会和进步协调会 |
[12:52] | …and the Progressive Caucus want in the speech… | 希望在演讲中加一句 |
[12:54] | I got it here. | 在这里 |
[12:58] | “We want a real tax cut for working families… | “我们希望减税能实行在 所有的上班族身上 |
[13:00] | …to help them pay for education and housing… | 希望这能帮助他们 负担教育和房屋 |
[13:03] | …while our opponents want to help the rich… | 而我们的对手 却想帮助有钱人 |
[13:05] | …pay for bigger swimming pools and faster private jets. “ | 让他们能有更大的游泳池 和更快的私人喷射机” |
[13:08] | – No, I don’t think so. – They want it in. Why not? | -我觉得不好 -他们想加进去,为什么不好? |
[13:11] | – It’s bad writing. – Change the writing. | -写的很差 -改一下就好了 |
[13:13] | – “Summer homes and sports cars. ” – The poetry is not my problem. | -“避暑别墅和跑车” -不是修饰诗句的问题 |
[13:16] | – They want it in Chicago. – Well, tell them to do their own speech. | -他们想加在芝加哥的讲稿里 -告诉他们自己去讲 |
[13:19] | – You want to tell them that? – No. | -你要告诉他们? -不 |
[13:21] | – Okay. – We have less money? | -好 -我们比较没钱? |
[13:23] | – Isn’t that great? – Yes, it is. Thanks. | -不是很棒吗? -是啊,谢谢 |
[13:29] | Are you aware that a year ago January the president had an attack? | 你知道去年一月 总统心脏病发吗? |
[13:33] | – I am now. – You were there when he collapsed. | -现在知道了 -他倒下时你在旁边 |
[13:35] | I was outside the room. | 我在房间外面 |
[13:36] | – You went in and he was unconscious. – Yes. | -你进去时他已昏迷了 -是 |
[13:39] | What made you go into the room? | 是什么让你进到房里去的? |
[13:41] | The sound of a Steuben glass pitcher crashing to the floor. | 玻璃壶掉到地板的声音 |
[13:44] | – What’d you think had happened? – I didn’t know. | -你以为发生了什么事? -我不知道 |
[13:46] | Well, what’d you think? | 你以为呢? |
[13:49] | At first glance, I thought he might have a virus… | 刚开始看起来 我以为他可能感染了 |
[13:51] | …contracted from a rare African tsetse fly, possibly tropical sprue. | 罕见的非洲采采蝇病毒 可能是热带口�H |
[13:55] | I’m not an expert, but I did meet a man in India. | 我不是专家 但我在印度认识了一个人 |
[13:58] | It could be anything with presidents. James Polk had diverticulitis. | 所有的总统都有不同的病 詹姆士波克有憩室炎 |
[14:01] | – Yeah. – He couldn’t digest nuts. | -是啊 -他无法消化坚果 |
[14:03] | One in 40 American men wear women’s clothing. We’ve had over 40 presidents. | 每40个美国男人里就会有一个 穿女人衣服,我们有过40位总统 |
[14:07] | One of these guys was dancing around the Oval Office in a prom dress. | 其中有一个在椭圆办公室里 穿着晚宴礼服跳舞 |
[14:11] | Let’s get to the bottom of that. | 让我们来追根究底一下 |
[14:12] | – C.J.? – Yeah. | -茜洁? -是 |
[14:14] | In my entire life I’ve never found anything charming. | 我这一生里 从未发现任何可爱的事 |
[14:20] | Really? | 真的? |
[14:22] | – You announced that it was the flu. – Yes. | -你宣布他得了感冒 -是 |
[14:24] | – Who told you to say it? – I wasn’t told to say it was the flu… | -谁要你说是感冒的? -没有人要我说是感冒 |
[14:28] | …I was told it was the flu. I’m not getting into that. | 有人告诉我是感冒 我不要再研究这问题了 |
[14:31] | I’m not getting into who said what. We can do that at the next session. | 我不要再管谁说了什么 我们可以下次再谈 |
[14:35] | Okay. Do you know what time it is? | 好,你知道现在几点吗? |
[14:41] | It’s five past noon. | 十二点过五分 |
[14:43] | I’d like you to get out of the habit of doing that. | 我要你改变这个习惯 |
[14:46] | – Doing what? – Answering more than was asked. | -什么习惯? -回答多于所问的 |
[14:51] | Do you know what time it is? | 你知道现在几点吗? |
[14:58] | Yes. | 是 |
[15:00] | We’ll take a break and meet again later today. | 我们休息一下,今天稍晚再见 |
[15:08] | – Hey. – You see this? | -嘿 -你看到了吗? |
[15:10] | – That was nice. – Good reviews on the speech. | -很好 -你演讲的回应很好 |
[15:13] | – Yeah. – From Maynard Wachtel of all places. | -是啊 -从玛纳华邱那儿开始都是 |
[15:15] | – You got a second? – He calls you and me Batman and Robin. | -你有空吗? -他说你和我是蝙蝠侠和罗宾 |
[15:18] | – I don’t think he does… – He doesn’t, but he should… | -我不觉得他 -他没有,但他应该 |
[15:21] | – … because that’s what we are. – Okay. | -因为我们就是这样的 -嗯 |
[15:23] | We’re Batman and Robin. | 我们是蝙蝠侠和罗宾 |
[15:24] | – Which one’s which? – Look at me, Sam, am I Robin? | -谁是谁? -山姆,你看看我,我是罗宾吗? |
[15:27] | – I’m not Robin. – Yes, you are. | -我不是罗宾 -是,你是 |
[15:28] | – Okay, well, let’s move off this. – You bet, little friend. | -我不是罗宾 -是,你是 -好吧,别再谈这个了 -没问题,小朋友 |
[15:31] | – We’re not Batman and Robin. – We’ll keep those identities secret. | -我们不是蝙蝠侠和罗宾 -我们要保持身份的秘密 |
[15:34] | I’m Bruce Wayne and you’re my ward. | 我是布鲁斯韦恩你是我的守卫 |
[15:36] | – Dick something. – Jane Gentry and Richard Will… | -狄克什么的 -琴贞崔和理查威尔 |
[15:39] | …came to me with news. The CBO’s projection… | 报告了一个消息给我 国会预算局预测的 |
[15:41] | – Really? – Yes, has us 200 billion lower in 8 years. | -真的? -8年之内的预估下降了两万亿 |
[15:44] | – That’s fantastic news. – Yes. | -大好消息 -是 |
[15:47] | – When is this real? – This afternoon. | -何时会成真? -今天下午 |
[15:48] | – The projections are lower? – Measurably lower. | -预算降低了? -而且很多 |
[15:51] | I’m so happy I could spit. | 我高兴到要吐痰 |
[15:53] | This is the first administration in history to favor slower economic growth. | 这是历史上第一个 喜欢较慢经济成长的内阁 |
[15:56] | I favor it when it gives us a bat and ball on tax cuts. | 我喜欢它是因为 它能让我们在减税上发挥 |
[16:00] | We offer them a deal, we lower the bottom rate from 15 to 10%… | 我们提供一个方案,降低 最低收入级百分之十到十五的税率 |
[16:03] | …but we stand our ground on no tax cut in the top bracket, and you know why? | 而坚决不让最高收入级的减税 你知道为什么吗? |
[16:07] | Because we might not be able to afford it. | 因为我们可能负担不起 |
[16:10] | – Isn’t it great? – Yeah, it’s Christmas in Paris. | -不是很棒吗? -是啊,就像在巴黎过耶诞节 |
[16:12] | There’s a line ATJ and the Progressive Caucus want put in the draft for Chicago. | 公平税收协会和进步协调会 想在芝加哥演讲草稿里加一句 |
[16:16] | – What? – That we want to do great things… | -什么呢? -我们想要做大事 |
[16:19] | …but our opponents want bigger swimming pools and faster private jets. | 但我们的对手想要 更大的游泳池和更快的私人喷射机 |
[16:23] | – Their private jets are too slow? – Toby… | -他们的私人喷射机太慢? -托比 |
[16:25] | – Change the writing. – It’s not the writing…. | -修改一下 -不是文字的问题 |
[16:27] | I know. | 我知道 |
[16:30] | – Listen. – Yeah. | -听着 -是 |
[16:35] | – Nothing. – Okay. | -没事 -好 |
[16:36] | Don’t worry about it. | 别担心 |
[16:39] | – So… – I have to go to a meeting. | -那么 -我要去开个会 |
[16:40] | – Talk to somebody at ATJ or the Caucus. – Okay. I’m gonna do that, then. | -去和这两个协会的人谈一谈 -好,我会的 |
[16:44] | Yeah. Okay. | 好 |
[16:48] | – Hey, Donna. – Hey, Charlie. | -嘿,唐娜 -嘿,查理 |
[16:51] | – Is there anything you need? – Nope. Just came in to say hi. | -你需要什么? -没事,进来打个招呼而已 |
[16:54] | – How you doing? – Good. | -你好吗? -很好 |
[16:59] | So NASA’s OSF tells us that the 30th Space Wing… | 太空总署的飞行实验室 说凡德堡空军基地的 |
[17:03] | …at Vandenberg Air Force Base believes that a Chinese satellite… | 第30分支 相信一枚中国人造卫星 |
[17:06] | …has fallen out of its orbital flight plan. | 由它的飞行轨道计划里脱落 |
[17:09] | The last detection the 30th had placed it in what they call… | 第30分支最后探测到他们所谓 |
[17:13] | …a “degrading orbital path. ” And it’s now dropped off their radar… | “下降的轨道路径” 现在它已经从雷达上消失 |
[17:17] | …suggesting it’s begun to fall toward the Earth’s atmosphere. | 表示它已经坠落到地球大气层了 |
[17:20] | – Cool. – What’s the matter with you people? | -很好啊 -你们这些人有什么问题啊? |
[17:22] | – What’d I do? – A thing the size of a garbage truck… | -我做了什么? -一个像垃圾车一样大的物体 |
[17:24] | …is in a 2000-mile-an-hour free fall and no one knows where it’ll hit. | 正以每小时2000里的速度 自由下坠,没人知道它会打到哪里 |
[17:28] | I’ll root for Zurich. I’ve had it with the Swiss. | 我希望落在苏黎士 我受够了瑞士人 |
[17:30] | – You don’t… – Hang on. | -你不 -等一下 |
[17:32] | Excuse me. | 对不起 |
[17:38] | – Good afternoon. – Welcome back, Mrs. Bartlet. | -午安 -欢迎您回来,巴特勒太太 |
[17:41] | – Thank you. – A couple of reminders. | -谢谢 -提醒您几件事 |
[17:44] | You’re at the board of the Children’s Cancer Fund… | 您要出席 儿童癌症基金董事会 |
[17:46] | – … at the Sheraton at 3… – Before that I wanna be… | -3点在喜来登 -在那之前我想 |
[17:49] | You’re gonna read at the Head Start Program. | 您要在“早早起步”计划里宣读 |
[17:51] | – Welcome back, Mrs. Bartlet. – Snappy suit, Bobby. | -欢迎您回来,巴特勒太太 -巴比,好帅的西装 |
[17:54] | – How did it go yesterday? – I got a helicopter named after me. | -昨天怎么样? -有架直升机以我命名 |
[17:57] | – Yeah? – An AS 335 F1 Twinstar named Abigail. | -真的? -AS335F1双星被命名为艾碧高 |
[18:02] | I got to break a bottle of cider over its nose. Charlie. | 我在它的鼻翼打破了一瓶 苹果苏打汽水,查理 |
[18:05] | – Welcome back, ma’am. – Thank you. Where’s the president? | -欢迎回来,夫人 -谢谢,总统在那儿? |
[18:08] | – He’s waiting for you inside. – Thank you. | -他在里面等你 -谢谢 |
[18:13] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[18:16] | – Hi. – Welcome back. | -嗨 -欢迎回来 |
[18:18] | – How come I just found out about this? – How was the flight? | -为什么现在我才知道? -旅程如何? |
[18:22] | – How come I just found out about this? – When Leo talked to you… | -为什么现在我才知道? -当里奥和你谈时 |
[18:25] | – … he thought you already knew. – You think I’m saying this is Leo’s fault? | -他以为你已经知道了 -你以为我认为这是里奥的错? |
[18:28] | I’m asking how come you didn’t tell me last week? | 我在问你为什么上星期不告诉我? |
[18:31] | And I’m saying we still do this. | 还是应该照老规矩啊 |
[18:33] | We’re husband and wife and parents and before we launch into intrigue… | 我们是夫妻和父母 在我们开始指责之前 |
[18:37] | …we do “Welcome back, how was the flight? “ | 我们先说: “欢迎回来,旅程如何?” |
[18:39] | – What happened? – One of the forms Zoey had to fill out… | -怎么回事? -柔伊所要填的一份 |
[18:42] | …for Georgetown asks for a family medical history. | 乔治城大学的申请表中 问到家庭病史 |
[18:45] | Yes. | 是 |
[18:47] | – Did Leo tell you the rest? – Not after he realized that you… | -其他的里奥告诉你了吧? -在他发现你还没告诉我之前 |
[18:50] | …hadn’t told me already, which is a subject… | 他没说,这才是主题 |
[18:53] | …I assure you, we will be returning to. | 我保证,我们会很快会 回到主题上的 |
[18:55] | Zoey wasn’t 18 yet when she started. A parent had to sign the form. | 柔伊那时还没满18岁 家长必须要在那表格上签名 |
[18:59] | – Did you sign it? – No, you did, hot pants. | -你签了吗? -没有,是你签的,小姐 |
[19:02] | – I signed it? – It’s gonna be okay. | -我签的? -没关系的 |
[19:04] | Why didn’t you tell me on the phone? We talk on the phone three times a day! | 你为什么不在电话里告诉我? 我们一天通三次电话! |
[19:08] | Because I didn’t! Because that’s… Because I didn’t. | 因为我没有!因为那 因为我就是没有 |
[19:30] | I talked to Zoey this morning, she’s gonna ace her finals. | 今早我和柔伊说到话 她期末考会考得很好 |
[19:34] | – She told me. – I hate Ellie’s boyfriend. | -她跟我说了 -我讨厌艾莉的男朋友 |
[19:39] | She told me. | 她跟我说了 |
[19:46] | I need you to speak to the White House counsel, Abbey. | 艾碧,我需要你和白宫律师谈谈 |
[19:50] | I know. | 我知道 |
[20:06] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[20:08] | – The first lady’s back? – Yeah. | -第一夫人回来了? -是 |
[20:17] | I was talking to her on the phone and I mentioned Zoey’s application… | 我和她通电话时提到 柔伊的申请表 |
[20:20] | …without realizing the president hadn’t told her. | 不知道总统还没告诉她 |
[20:23] | – Why hadn’t the president told her? – What do you want? | -为什么总统没告诉她? -你找我干什么? |
[20:25] | – Thirty million dollars. – No. | -3千万 -不行 |
[20:27] | Martin Connelly, assistant attorney general, says they’re out of money. | 助理司法部长马丁康那利 说他们没钱了 |
[20:31] | – On the suit? – Yeah. | -那个官司? -对 |
[20:32] | – They’re always out of money. – We don’t give enough. | -他们老是没钱 -我们给的不够 |
[20:36] | We passed a law last summer that says they can transfer funds… | 去年夏天通过了一条法律 说他们可以 |
[20:39] | …from Commerce, from Health and Human Services. | 由商业部,健康部 和人力服务转钱过来 |
[20:42] | They can take it from Veterans Affairs up to, what? I think $ 12 million. | 他们可以从荣民部拿多少? 我想是一千两百万 |
[20:46] | The problem is the law says those transfers are subject to approval… | 问题是法律规定这些转移 必须要经过 |
[20:49] | …by House committees, each of which has a chairman… | 众议院委会员的批准 每一个委员会的主席 |
[20:52] | …elected with the $8 million tobacco spent in the last election. | 都让烟草公司在 上次选举时花了8百万 |
[20:55] | Even then it wouldn’t matter, because 12 million isn’t gonna get it done. | 即使如此也没用 一千两百万还是办不到 |
[21:00] | – Neither is 30 million. – Then let’s give them more. Why not? | -3千万也一样 -我们就给他们更多钱,为什么不? |
[21:03] | Because we’re gonna lose. | 因为我们会输 |
[21:04] | – Give them enough to win. – And liquidate the Grand Tetons? | -给够他们能赢的钱 -卖掉国家公园吗? |
[21:07] | They’re saying 30 million and I think it’s a steal at twice the price. | 他们说要3千万 但我想即使两倍也都还算便宜 |
[21:11] | Staff it out to some people and report to me on it in, what…? | 叫其他人去做这件事 然后再向我报告? |
[21:14] | – Two, three days? – Good. | -两,三天内? -好 |
[21:17] | I’m going out to the airport. | 我要去机场了 |
[21:20] | All right. Do a job. | 好,做好工作 |
[21:24] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[21:31] | – Hi. – Hey, Sam. | -嗨 -嘿,山姆 |
[21:33] | – Henry. Helen. Hey, Bruce. – How you doing, Sam? | -亨利,海伦,布鲁斯 -山姆,你好吗? |
[21:36] | Lewis. We just have a few minutes, right? | 路易斯,我们只有几分钟,对吧? |
[21:39] | – There’s a caucus. – You’ve heard the good news. | -协调会准备好了 -你听到了好消息 |
[21:41] | The CBO, projected eight years out, has the budget surplus… | 国会预算局,预估8年后 预算的盈余 |
[21:44] | …coming in $200 billion lower. | 会少两万亿 |
[21:46] | – That’s great. – There’s something wrong with us… | -太好了 -我们真的有毛病 |
[21:48] | …but that’s for a different time. | 但不是现在讨论的时候 |
[21:50] | I wanted to mention that Jane Gentry and Richard Will… | 我要提的事是 琴贞崔和理查威尔说 |
[21:53] | …say you guys want a line in the Chicago draft. | 你们想在 芝加哥的演讲里加一句话 |
[21:55] | – Jet planes and swimming pools. – ” Our opponents want to help the rich… | -喷射机和游泳池 -“我们的对手希望帮助 |
[21:59] | …pay for bigger swimming pools and faster private jets. “ | 有钱人负担更大的游泳池 和更快的喷射机” |
[22:01] | – Yeah. – Hit them hard. | -对 -重重打击他们 |
[22:02] | We are hitting hard. I’m not gonna use the line. | 我们是重重地打击了 我不要用这一句话 |
[22:05] | – Why not? – First of all, it’s bad writing. | -为什么? -第一,写的很差 |
[22:07] | – What’s wrong with it? – Sounds like a high school girl wrote it. | -有什么问题? -像是高中女生写的 |
[22:10] | Is something wrong with how women write? | 女人写的东西有什么问题吗? |
[22:11] | – There is when she’s in high school. – Sam! | -如果她还是高中生就有问题 -山姆! |
[22:14] | It’s not the writing. Come on, faster private jets and swimming pools? | 不是用字的问题,拜托 更大的游泳池和更快的喷射机? |
[22:17] | – We can take out the heavy bats now. – And do what with them? | -我们现在可以好好发挥一下了 -发挥什么? |
[22:20] | – The line works. – So does ” How about them Cowboys? “… | -那句话有效 -“那些牛仔怎么样?”也一样 |
[22:23] | …when you’re in Dallas, but it won’t change the mind… | 如果你在达拉斯的话 但它不能改变 |
[22:26] | …of anyone who doesn’t already agree. | 那些已经同意的人的心意 |
[22:28] | Are you in favor of tax cuts for the wealthy? | 你赞成富人减税吗? |
[22:31] | I am not. I am in favor of tax cuts… | 我不赞成,我赞成给那些 |
[22:34] | …for whom it will do the most good. That’s a tough enough battle. | 能够帮到他们的人 这场仗已经很难打了 |
[22:37] | It looks like we’ve got a fair fight. | 看来我们有场公平的仗 |
[22:39] | I’m not talking about policy, I’m talking about rhetoric… | 我不是在讲政策 是在讲修辞学 |
[22:41] | …and the men you work for need to dial it down to five. | 而你们的老板得收敛一点 |
[22:44] | Henry, last fall, every time your boss got on the stump and said: | 亨利,去年秋天 你老板每次都说: |
[22:48] | ” It’s time for the rich to pay their fair share, ” I hid under a couch. | “该是有钱人付他们该付的” 我都觉得很不好意思 |
[22:51] | I left Gage Whitney making 400,000 a year… | 我离开盖吉惠特尼时 一年赚40万 |
[22:53] | …which means I paid 27 times the national average in income tax. | 表示我付的所得税 比全国平均高出27倍 |
[22:57] | I paid my fair share. And the fair share of 26 other people. | 我付了我公平的一份 还有其他26个人公平的一份 |
[23:00] | And I’m happy to, because that’s the only way it’s gonna work. | 我很高兴这么做 因为这是唯一有效的方法 |
[23:04] | It’s in my best interest that everybody go to schools and drive on roads. | 我非常希望每个人都能上学 能在路上开车 |
[23:08] | But I don’t get 27 votes, the fire department doesn’t come… | 但我不会得到27张选票 救火车来时也不会快27倍 |
[23:11] | …27 times faster, and water doesn’t come out of my faucet 27 times hotter. | 我水管的水也不会 比别人热上27倍 |
[23:15] | The top 1% of wage earners in this country pay for 22% of this country. | 百分之一收入最高的上班族 负担了国家百分之22的支出 |
[23:20] | Let’s not call them names while they do it. | 在他们这么做时 我们别骂他们 |
[23:23] | – You’re not using the line? – No. | -你不要用那句话? -不 |
[23:24] | – Or anything like it? – No. | -或是像那样的话? -不 |
[23:26] | Make it clear to your people this has nothing to do… | 让你们的人了解 |
[23:29] | – … with cozying up to Republicans. – No, why would they think that? | -这与向共和党示好无关 -不会,他们为什么会那么想? |
[23:34] | We’ve got a caucus. | 我们还有协调会 |
[23:38] | I know women who can write, Helen. | 我认识文笔很好的女性,海伦 |
[23:40] | I know women who can blow the walls off brick buildings. | 我认识能把铜墙铁壁炸毁的女性 |
[23:43] | This sounds like a girl. | 这听起来像是女孩子说的 |
[23:48] | – Airlines flight 1106 arriving…. – Joey. | -1106航班到达 -乔伊 |
[23:54] | – Joey, how you doing? – Hi. | -乔伊,你好吗? -嗨 |
[23:59] | – I’m Josh Lyman. – Dale Bracket. | -我是乔西赖曼 -戴尔布莱克 |
[24:01] | What happened to Kenny? | 肯尼怎么了? |
[24:03] | He’s on vacation. | 休假去了 |
[24:05] | – So you’re the substitute interpreter? – Yeah. | -所以你是代班的翻译? -是 |
[24:08] | – You came here to pick me up? – Not exactly. | -你来接我的吗? -不完全是 |
[24:11] | Dale, I’m gonna ask you to wait over here, okay? | 戴尔,我要请你 在这边等一下,好吗? |
[24:14] | Joey, you’re gonna read my lips, and if I can’t understand… | 乔伊,你必须要看我的嘴形 如果我不懂 |
[24:19] | …what you’re saying you’ll write it down, all right? | 你说的 你写下来,好吗? |
[24:23] | – Okay. – Excuse us. | -好 -对不起 |
[24:28] | – Dale? – Yes. | -戴尔? -对 |
[24:32] | He’s pretty good-looking for an interpreter, wouldn’t you say? | 以一位翻译来说 他长得不错,你不觉得吗? |
[24:35] | He’s good-looking for anybody. | 每个人都觉得他长得不错 |
[24:37] | – Dale Bracket? – Yes. | -戴尔布莱克? -对 |
[24:39] | And he’s not a television detective? | 他不是在电视上演侦探的? |
[24:44] | We can’t talk about this in the car? | 我们不能在车子里谈吗? |
[24:47] | – I’m sorry? – We can’t talk about this in the car? | -抱歉? -我们不能在车子里谈吗? |
[24:51] | – You’re not getting in the car. – Why? | -你不会上车的 -为什么? |
[24:56] | Because you’re getting back on a plane in an hour and 10 minutes. | 因为你在一小时十分钟内 要去搭飞机 |
[25:05] | All right, if we sit like this, can Dale Bracket, PI read my lips? | 如果我们像这样坐 私家侦探戴尔布莱克能读我的唇吗? |
[25:13] | No. | 不能 |
[25:17] | Okay. | 好 |
[25:20] | You’re not talking to me about an agriculture poll. | 你不是要和我谈农业民调的事 |
[25:25] | – No kidding. – You guessed that? | -真的 -你已经猜到了? |
[25:28] | We think we’re eating more beets? | 我们觉得我们在吃更多的甜菜? |
[25:31] | Well, we are, but that’s not important. | 我们是,但那不重要 |
[25:35] | Well, what’s important? | 什么才重要? |
[25:38] | – Hi, what can I get for you? – Cranberry juice and club soda… | -要喝点什么? -小红莓汁和苏打水 |
[25:43] | …and I’ll have a large glass of ice water. | 我要一杯大杯冰水 <重要的是什么?> |
[25:57] | I told Leo McGarry that we could trust you and Toby backed me up. | 我告诉里奥马加瑞 我们可以信任你,托比支持我 |
[26:03] | What’s important? | 重要的是什么? |
[26:08] | Eight years ago… | 8年前 |
[26:11] | …the president was diagnosed with an illness that was never disclosed. | 总统被诊断得病但并未公开 <严重吗?> |
[26:32] | Yes. | 是的 |
[26:35] | What is it? | 是什么? |
[26:45] | Cranberry and club… | 小红莓汁和苏打水 |
[26:48] | …and a large glass of ice water. | 一杯大杯冰水 |
[26:56] | – Excuse me, the first lady. – Thank you. | -对不起,第一夫人来了 -谢谢你 |
[27:02] | – Oliver. – Good afternoon, Mrs. Bartlet. | -奥力佛 -午安,巴特勒太太 |
[27:04] | – How are you? – Fine, thank you. | -你好吗? -很好,谢谢 |
[27:06] | I haven’t been in this office since you moved in. It looks great. | 你搬来后我还没到过这房间 看来不错 |
[27:09] | – Thank you. – I haven’t come in here… | -谢谢 -我还没进来这里 |
[27:11] | …because it seems that every time I do, there’s a new counsel. | 因为似乎每次我来 都有一位新律师 |
[27:14] | Leo keeps them in the basement like those ladies in Arsenic and Old Lace. | 里奥都让他们待在地下室 像《老处女与毒药》里那些女人 |
[27:18] | – Yeah. – Anyway… | -是啊 -反正 |
[27:20] | …the president’s very glad you’re here, particularly in this time of nonsense. | 总统很高兴你来了 尤其在这种无聊事件的时候 |
[27:24] | Would you mind if I asked a few questions? | 我可以问你几个问题吗? |
[27:26] | I’m not as experienced in this as the senior staff. | 我不像资深助理他们有经验 |
[27:29] | I read a book about Daniel Webster. I read a book about Benjamin Disraeli. | 我看了一本关于丹尼尔韦伯斯特 我看了一本关于班哲明狄斯雷利 |
[27:33] | What experience I do have is with dead lawyers. | 我只有跟过世的律师打交道的经验 |
[27:35] | Just out of curiosity, how’d they die? | 只是好奇,他们怎么死的? |
[27:37] | If you’re under the impression you’re the fifth White House counsel… | 如果你以为是因为我 让你成为第五个白宫律师 |
[27:40] | …instead of the first because of me, you’re mistaken, Oliver. | 而不是第一位 你搞错了,奥力佛 |
[27:44] | I wasn’t under that impression, but we should stick to the matter. | 我没这么以为 我们应该专注在这件事上 |
[27:47] | – You want to ask me some questions. – Yes. | -你想问我一些问题 -是的 |
[27:49] | – About Zoey’s health form. – Yep. | -关于柔伊的健康表格 -对 |
[27:52] | It was a form. It asked for, among other things, a family’s medical history. | 就是一张表格,问了家庭病史 还有其他的事 |
[27:56] | It was blank. It was a form, one of many forms. I signed it without reading it. | 是空白的,是很多张表格里的 一张表格,我没看就签名了 |
[28:00] | – Was anyone in the room? – It was a year ago, I don’t remember. | -还有其他人在吗? -那是一年前,我不记得了 |
[28:03] | – Was the president in the room? – I don’t remember. | -总统在吗? -我不记得了 |
[28:06] | When I ask the president that, he’s gonna tell the truth. | 当我问总统这个问题时 他会诚实回答 |
[28:09] | And the president will also resent your implication that I didn’t do the same. | 总统也会不高兴 你暗示我不诚实 |
[28:14] | – The president wasn’t in the room? – I don’t remember. He doesn’t remember. | -总统不在那儿? -我不记得,他不记得 |
[28:18] | – Mrs. Bartlet… – Oliver, you have kids. There are forms. | -巴特勒太太 -奥力佛,你有小孩,有很多表要填 |
[28:21] | School trips and soccer and band uniforms… | 校外教学 足球队和乐队制服 |
[28:24] | …and report cards and notes to get out of gym. | 成绩单,免上体育课的假单 |
[28:27] | – You signed those forms. – Their mother signs them. | -你会签这些表格的 -通常都是他们的妈妈签的 |
[28:30] | So do I. And by the way, when you’re the daughter… | 我也是,而且,当你是 |
[28:32] | …of the president of the United States, there’s a lot more forms on top of that. | 美国总统的女儿 除了那些还其他很多的表格 |
[28:36] | – I understand. – Do you? | -我了解 -你了解吗? |
[28:38] | Yes, but a lawyer half my size… | 是的,但只有我个子一半的律师 |
[28:40] | …while cross-examining you, will say the following: | 在交叉询问你时 会问以下这些话: |
[28:44] | ” Do you have an MD from Harvard? | “你是哈佛的医学士? |
[28:46] | Are you certified in internal medicine? Are you certified in thoracic surgery? | 你是注册的内科医生吗? 你是注册的胸腔外科医生吗? |
[28:51] | Are you a professor at Harvard? Are you on the staff at Boston Mercy? | 你是哈佛的教授吗? 你是波士顿慈悲医院的医生? |
[28:58] | Have you practiced medicine for 26 years? | 你行医了26年? |
[29:00] | Are you not able to recognize a medical history form… | 当一张病史表格放在你面前时 |
[29:03] | …when it is in front of you? “ | 你认不出来吗?” |
[29:05] | I didn’t read it. I didn’t think it was important. | 我没有看 我不以为它很重要 |
[29:08] | “What else have you signed without thinking? Prescriptions? | “还有什么是你想也不想就签名的? 处方笺吗? |
[29:11] | Patient instructions? So just this? “ | 给病人的指示? 还是只有这个?” |
[29:13] | Oliver, I am not an expert on diseases of the central nervous system… | 奥力佛 我不是中枢神经系统的专家 |
[29:16] | …but I can tell you that MS is not hereditary. | 但我可以告诉你 多发性硬化症非遗传性疾病 |
[29:19] | The president’s condition has absolutely no relevance to Zoey’s health status. | 总统的状况和柔伊的健康情形 完全没有关联 |
[29:24] | – Now you’re changing your story. – No, I’m not. | -现在你改变了你的说法 -不,我没有 |
[29:27] | Did you sign it because you were absent-minded… | 你是因为漫不经心签了名 |
[29:30] | – … or because you knew best? – I signed it because… I just signed it. | -还是因为你最清楚? -我签了名是因为我就是签了 |
[29:36] | It was a form. | 只是一张表格 |
[29:40] | Making a big thing out of it is what makes it into a big thing. | 把它看得严重 正好让它小事化大 |
[29:43] | – Really? – And I’m not 100% sure… | -真的? -我不是百分百确定 |
[29:45] | …that’s not what you’re going for. | 那不是你想做的 |
[29:47] | – Why would I want it to be a big thing? – Because defending the president… | -我为什么要将它小事化大? -因为在重要时刻替总统辩护 |
[29:51] | …in prime time looks good on a résumé. | 让履历表很好看 |
[29:52] | Well, I’ve got a pretty good-looking résumé already… | 我已经有很好看的履历表 |
[29:55] | …and it’s not a big thing because I say so, ma’am. It’s a big thing. | 这件事不是我说了算 它的确很严重 |
[30:00] | You’ll get all the questions I just asked and more. | 你会被问到比刚刚还多的问题 |
[30:02] | And then they’re gonna ask the president if he was in the room when you signed it. | 他们会问总统 当你签名时他是否在场 |
[30:06] | And that’s when he’s gonna give everyone’s favorite answer… | 而这个刚宣布他有 多发性硬化症的总统 |
[30:09] | …from a president who has announced that he has MS, ” I don’t remember. “ | 会给大家一个最喜欢听的答案 “我不记得” |
[30:27] | When are you gonna go public? | 你何时要公开? |
[30:32] | Probably in a week. They’re still strategizing. | 大概一星期内 他们还在研拟策略 |
[30:37] | – A live interview on the networks? – Yeah. | -现场转播的访问? -是 |
[30:40] | Jim Lehrer, Tim Russert, Barbara Walters… | 吉姆里耳,提姆罗素 芭芭拉华特斯 |
[30:43] | …you, somebody, the president sitting in a den? | 你,某人 总统坐在书房里? |
[30:47] | – Yeah. – Followed by a live conference. | -是啊 -接着进行现场记者会 |
[30:51] | They’re working on the strategy. | 他们正在研拟策略 |
[30:54] | ” I regret that I concealed my condition from the public. | “我后悔 我向大众隐瞒我的状况 |
[30:58] | I regret the appearance that I tried to deceive voters to win. “ | 我后悔以假象来欺骗选民 以赢得选举” |
[31:01] | Yes. | 是 |
[31:03] | And if we don’t make it a big thing, they won’t? | 如果我们不把它小事化大 他们就不会? |
[31:06] | Mrs. Bartlet, I’m not sure you have an appropriate appreciation… | 巴特勒太太,我不确定 你能否了解到 |
[31:09] | …of the size of what happens next. | 接下来所要发生事情的严重性 |
[31:20] | – When are you going public? – Probably in about a week. | -你们何时要公开? -大概一周以内 |
[31:25] | – A week? How? – We’re deciding. | -一周?怎么公布? -我们正在决定 |
[31:28] | Probably a live interview followed by a press conference. | 可能是现场访问 之后联合记者会 |
[31:32] | So we need to know what we’re talking about. | 所以我们需要知道 我们想要说些什么 |
[31:34] | Joey, we need you to put a poll in the field. | 乔伊,我们需要 你做个民意调查 |
[31:39] | You’ve gotta come up with a model that gets us the answers we need… | 你必须设计一个问答卷 能提供我们要的答案 |
[31:43] | …without asking the questions we can’t ask. | 但不提及我们不能问的问题 |
[31:46] | You’ve gotta come up with the model by yourself. | 你必须自己设计这个问答卷 |
[31:49] | You’ve gotta break down the results yourself. | 自己分析结果 |
[31:52] | Not even the callers can understand the questions they’re asking. | 连电话访调员 都不能了解他们所问的问题 |
[31:57] | And you’ve got to do it all in 96 hours. | 你必须在96小时内完成 |
[32:03] | Is what I’m describing possible? | 我说的有可能吗? |
[32:10] | – We make it a governor. – A governor. | -说他是位州长 -州长 |
[32:13] | Of an industrial state. | 一个工业州的 |
[32:17] | I didn’t…. | 我不 |
[32:21] | – The governor of an industrial state. – Michigan. | -一个工业州的州长 -密西根 |
[32:25] | And you give him a degenerative illness? | 你会给他一个衰退性的疾病? |
[32:33] | Joey, you understand that before this is over, we’re probably all gonna be… | 乔伊,你了解在这件事结束以前 我们可能会 |
[32:37] | …spending some time in front of a grand jury. | 在大陪审团前花上一些时间 |
[32:43] | – You can do this? – No problem. | -你做的到? -没问题 |
[32:47] | Los Angeles passengers preboarding flight 1217, please use gate…. | 1217航班往洛杉矶旅客 预先登机请用 |
[32:51] | That’s your flight. | 你的班机 |
[32:53] | – Josh? – Yeah. | -乔西? -是 |
[32:55] | – How is the president? – He’s fine. | -总统怎么样? -他很好 |
[33:03] | He’s fine. | 他很好 |
[33:06] | I’ll tell him you asked. | 我会告诉他你问候他 |
[33:12] | – Ninety-six hours? – Yeah. | -96小时? -是 |
[33:18] | I have to go work now. | 我必须开始工作了 |
[33:36] | The Chinese Embassy won’t admit it’s their satellite. | 中国大使馆甚至 不承认是他们的卫星 |
[33:38] | We know it’s their satellite. We’ve been looking at it for years. | 我们知道是他们的卫星 我们监测它好多年了 |
[33:42] | It’s like knowing Mars is Mars. | 就像知道火星是火星一样 |
[33:44] | Tell me you didn’t call the Chinese Embassy. | 告诉我你没打电话给中国大使馆 |
[33:46] | I didn’t call the embassy, people called the embassy. | 我没打给大使馆 有人打给大使馆 |
[33:49] | – It’s not like this isn’t cause for concern. – Right. | -这件事情很严重的 -对 |
[33:51] | The Chinese news aren’t reporting it because they won’t admit it. | 中国的新闻没有报导 因为他们不承认 |
[33:55] | Why do you think the American news isn’t reporting it? | 你觉得为什么美国新闻没报导? |
[33:57] | – That’s a fascinating question to me. – To all of us. | -真是令人迷惑的问题 -对我们都是 |
[33:59] | – We don’t know what kind of satellite. – It could be anything. | -我们不知道是什么样的卫星 -什么可能都有 |
[34:02] | – Communications. – Right. | -通讯 -对 |
[34:04] | – It could be a spy satellite. – It could have plutonium. | -可能是间谍卫星 -可能有钸 |
[34:06] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[34:14] | – Plutonium? – Yeah. | -钸? -对 |
[34:16] | – Plutonium. – Well, nuclear reactors on a satellite… | -钸 -卫星上有核子反应炉 |
[34:18] | …aren’t common, but you never know. | 不是很常见 但你永远不会知道的 |
[34:20] | No, I suppose you don’t. | 不,我想你不知道 |
[34:24] | – Hey, Donna. – Good evening, ma’am, welcome back. | -唐娜 -午安,夫人,欢迎回来 |
[34:27] | – Thank you. – How was the trip? | -谢谢 -旅途如何? |
[34:29] | – I got a helicopter named after me. – Mrs. Bartlet. | -有一架直升机以我命名 -巴勒特太太 |
[34:31] | Hello. How are you? | 你好吗? |
[34:33] | I’m fine, but there’s a giant object… | 我很好,但有一个庞大的物体 |
[34:35] | …hurling its way toward us at a devastating velocity. | 正以毁灭性的加速度 向我们冲来 |
[34:38] | Tell me about it. | 我很能体会 |
[34:43] | – C.J.? – Good evening, ma’am. | -茜洁? -晚安,夫人 |
[34:45] | – Can I talk to you for a second? – Sure. | -能和你谈一下吗? -当然 |
[35:01] | How was your day? | 你今天好吗? |
[35:04] | I got bitch-slapped by the White House counsel. How about you? | 我被白宫律师给说了一顿 你呢? |
[35:12] | I wanted to be here when you were told. | 你被告知时我本来希望在场 |
[35:17] | I didn’t know they were gonna tell you last night. | 我不知道他们昨晚要告诉你 |
[35:22] | You know, Leo called me into the Oval Office about 11:00… | 里奥大概在十一点 叫我进椭圆形办公室 |
[35:25] | …and I was standing with Toby when Leo called me in. | 当里奥叫我进去时 我和托比站在一起 |
[35:29] | And Toby said: | 托比说: |
[35:32] | ” I’ll be right here in my office when you’re done. “ | “你结束后 我会在我的办公室” |
[35:41] | I didn’t know what he meant or why he said it. | 我不知道他指什么 或为什么这么说 |
[35:45] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[35:47] | Babish said there’s a difference between asking the president: | 巴比西说问总统: |
[35:50] | ” Is there anything I should know? ” and ” Is there anything I need to know? “ | “有什么我应该知道的吗?” 和“有什么我需要知道的?”有差别 |
[35:54] | He seemed to think ” need to know ” implies I know something already… | 他似乎认为“需要知道” 表示我已经知道了 |
[35:57] | …but I don’t want it confirmed in order to maintain… | 但不想证实,以便能 |
[36:03] | …deniability. | 不面对现实 |
[36:05] | Well, he’s a lawyer, C.J. He’s vetting, it’s his job. | 茜洁,他是个律师 那是他的工作 |
[36:08] | I told him I couldn’t remember which one I say. | 我告诉他我不记得我怎么问的 |
[36:12] | There were a lot of things I couldn’t remember. | 有很多事我记不得 |
[36:17] | Abbey… | 艾碧 |
[36:22] | …during the campaign we were in Manhattan, Kansas at a Sheraton… | 竞选时我们在堪萨斯州的 曼哈顿市,在喜来登酒店 |
[36:26] | …or a Marriott. I can’t remember, but we were in Manhattan, Kansas. | 或是美丽华饭店,我不记得 但我们在堪萨斯州的曼哈顿市 |
[36:31] | I came to your suite early to tell you we’d be doing Nightline that night… | 我到你们的套房 告诉你们我们那晚要上《夜线》 |
[36:35] | …and we had to get to an ABC affiliate. | 还有我们必须要上 美国国家电视的关系节目 |
[36:40] | And I think by then the two of you were so used to people… | 我想那时你们俩 已经很习惯 |
[36:42] | …walking in and out of your room that you didn’t hear me open the door. | 人们进出你们房间 你没听到我开门 |
[36:48] | And I was almost sure I saw you… | 我几乎很确定我看到 |
[36:50] | …giving the president an injection of something. | 你在给总统打针 |
[36:54] | It was Betaseron. | 那是贝它干扰素 |
[36:58] | It reduces the frequency of the attacks. | 降低心脏病发作的频率 |
[37:09] | When the president has his physical and I do the release… | 当总统做完体检 我发布消息时 |
[37:13] | …I only ever ask ” Is there anything else I need to know? “ | 我只问了 “还有什么我需要知道的吗?” |
[37:31] | Come on in. | 进来 |
[37:37] | – She’s in. – What’s she gonna do? | -她同意做了 -她要怎么做? |
[37:39] | ” If the governor of a major state had a degenerative illness… | “如果一位主要工业州的州长 患有恶化的病症 |
[37:43] | …which he hadn’t disclosed but which has yet… | 他并没有公布 但这病 |
[37:45] | …to impair his performance, would you support him? “ | 会损伤他的表现 你会支持他吗?” |
[37:48] | – Which governor? – Michigan. | -那一个州长? -密西根 |
[37:50] | Well… | 嗯 |
[37:53] | …then we’ll wait. | 我们只有等了 |
[37:55] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[37:59] | Listen, about this Justice appropriation… | 关于司法部的预算 |
[38:02] | – You’re gonna do a report? – Yeah. | -你会做个报告吗? -是 |
[38:04] | Then can I read the report before you ask me to green-light… | 那我可以先看过报告 你再要我放行 |
[38:07] | …another multi-million dollar battle that’ll have no support in Congress? | 另一个在国会里 没有任何支持的百万战争? |
[38:11] | Yeah. | 是 |
[38:13] | I just brought it up because this assistant A.G., Martin Connelly… | 我提起这事是因为 这位助理司法部长马丁康那利 |
[38:18] | …when he left my office this morning, he turned and said: | 今早离开我办公室时 转身说: |
[38:22] | “They perpetrated a fraud against the public. “ | “他们犯了欺瞒大众的罪” |
[38:26] | And the look on his face when he said it…. | 当他说这话时脸上的表情 |
[38:33] | They want to get these people. | 他们想要逮住这些人 |
[38:37] | We’re not big tobacco. | 我们不是大烟草公司 |
[38:40] | Yeah. | 对 |
[38:45] | – He’s expecting me. – Okay. | -他在等我 -好 |
[38:55] | Good evening, Mr. President. | 晚安,总统先生 |
[38:57] | Leo, how could you tell Abbey about the health form before I did? | 里奥,你怎能在我还没告诉 艾碧之前告诉她健康表格的事? |
[39:02] | I didn’t know you hadn’t told her. | 我不知道你还没告诉她 |
[39:04] | My wife and I are fighting battles on several fronts at the moment… | 我太太和我此时 在打好几个仗 |
[39:08] | …including one with each other. Can you and I be men? | 包括我俩之间的战争 你和我可以做男人吗? |
[39:10] | Can we have a bond? | 可以彼此有个默契? |
[39:14] | – We’re putting a poll in the field. – How? | -我们要做个民调 -怎么做? |
[39:17] | We’re using a woman Josh and Toby trust named Joey Lucas. | 用一位乔西和托比都信任的女士 叫乔伊鲁卡斯 |
[39:20] | I met Joey Lucas. | 我见过乔伊鲁卡斯 |
[39:22] | She’s basically giving MS to the governor of Michigan. | 她基本上会让密西根州长 得多发性硬化症 |
[39:26] | – How’s he gonna feel about that? – Don’t worry. | -他会怎么觉得? -别担心 |
[39:29] | – This is a bad idea. – We’ve gotta do it. | -这是个坏主意 -我们要这么做 |
[39:32] | I’m coming clean. I’m doing it voluntarily. | 我要坦白 我要自愿地坦白 |
[39:34] | It’s gonna look like I did it because a poll told me to. | 不然会看起来是 是因为民调结果让我这么做的 |
[39:38] | Then it’d be a good idea if nobody found out. | 那么如果没被发现会是个好主意 |
[39:43] | All right. | 好吧 |
[39:48] | Why don’t you get Sam? | 你找山姆来吧 |
[40:09] | – So. – Yeah. | -嗯 -是的 |
[40:12] | – I think I may have offended… – Oh, God. | -我想我可能激怒了 -我的天 |
[40:13] | – Yeah. – Who? | -是的 -谁? |
[40:15] | I met with some of the staffers… | 我见了一些 |
[40:17] | …for Americans for Tax Justice and the Progressive Caucus. | 公平税收协会 和进步协调会的幕僚 |
[40:20] | – You think you may have offended them? – Yeah. And girls, possibly. | -你认为你可能激怒了他们? -是的,可能还有女孩子 |
[40:24] | – Were you right? – Yeah. Toby, it’s class… | -你是对的吗? -是,托比,是 |
[40:27] | That’s all you need to tell me. I trust you. | 你只需要告诉我这么多 我信任你 |
[40:30] | – Sam? – Yeah. | -山姆? -是的 |
[40:32] | – Come see the president, would you? – Yeah. | -来见一下总统 -是的 |
[40:34] | – Sam? – Yeah. | -山姆? -是的 |
[40:36] | I’ll be here in the office when you’re done. | 你结束后 我会在我的办公室 |
[40:39] | Yeah, okay. | 是的,好 |
[40:54] | – C.J. – Hey. | -茜洁 -嘿 |
[40:57] | – You walking? – Yeah. | -你用走的? -是啊 |
[41:00] | – I met with Joey Lucas today. – I heard. | -今天我和乔伊路卡斯见面了 -我听说了 |
[41:03] | The president’s got Leo worried it’s gonna look like we announced it… | 总统让里奥开始担心 我们的宣布会看起来 |
[41:07] | …because we took a poll. What do you think? | 像是做了民调的结果 你觉得呢? |
[41:14] | What? | 怎么? |
[41:21] | The president and Leo are worried about that? | 总统和里奥在担心这个? |
[41:24] | Yeah. What? | 是,怎么了? |
[41:28] | You guys are like Butch and Sundance… | 你们就像是《虎豹小霸王》一样 |
[41:30] | …peering over a cliff to the boulder-filled rapids 300 feet below… | 在悬崖边看着300尺下 布满大石的激流 |
[41:34] | …thinking you better not jump because there’s a chance you might drown. | 想着最好不要跳 不然有可能会淹死 |
[41:39] | The president has this disease and has been lying about it… | 总统有这个病 而且一直撒谎不说 |
[41:42] | …and you guys are worried that the polling might make us look bad? | 你们担心着 做民调会让我们不好看? |
[41:45] | It’s the fall that’s gonna kill you. | 坠落会让你们丧命 |
[41:51] | – Us. – What? | -我们 -什么? |
[41:58] | You said, ” It’s the fall that’s gonna kill you. ” You meant us. | 你说: “坠落会让你们丧命” 你指我们 |
[42:04] | – Where are you going, C.J.? – Home. I know what you meant. | -你要去那里,茜洁? -回家,我知道你的意思 |
[42:08] | I want to sleep for a while. I’m going home. | 我想要睡一下,我要回家 |
[42:15] | You know, Donna got hold of this fax… | 你知道,唐娜拿到了这张传真 |
[42:19] | …that was sent to the Press Office from the OSF at NASA. | 由太空总署的 太空实验室新闻室发出的 |
[42:22] | – What, something falling out of the sky? – Yeah. | -怎么,天上有东西掉下来? -对 |
[42:24] | – We get that fax once a week. – Yeah, but Donna doesn’t know that. | -我们每星期都会收到的 -是,但唐娜不知道 |
[42:27] | – She thinks it’s an emergency. – And you didn’t want to tell her? | -她认为事情紧急 -你不想告诉她? |
[42:31] | No, the other way you get a day of entertainment without leaving the office. | 不,这样不必离开办公室 就能得到一整天的娱乐 |
[42:36] | She doesn’t know that these things fall out of the sky all the time. | 她不知道有这些东西 常常从天上掉下来 |
[42:40] | Once every 10 days, as a matter of fact. | 事实上每十天一次 |
[42:44] | Since the first year we started putting objects in space… | 从我们开始把人造物体 放进太空的第一年起 |
[42:46] | …17,000 have come back. Remarkably, not one person has been hit. | 有一万七千件都掉回来了 了不起的是,没有一个人受伤 |
[42:54] | So I suppose there’s an argument to be made that we’re due. | 所以我想我们的时候到了 |
[43:00] | Yeah, you picked me right up there, Josh. | 乔西 你让我精神振奋 |
[43:06] | – See you tomorrow. – Yeah. | -明天见 -好 |