时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | – So, what’s your problem? – He did everything right. | -你有什么问题? -他做对了每件事 |
[00:10] | He did everything you do if your intent is to perpetrate a fraud. | 如果你想要欺骗大家 你也会跟他一样 |
[00:14] | We want to see some polling. | 我们想看看民调结果 |
[00:15] | – Why? – We need to know what to do next. | -为什么? -我们想知道接下来该怎么做 |
[00:17] | What questions could they ask that won’t trip an alarm? | 他们会问什么不会让事情 搞得天翻地覆的问题? |
[00:20] | Josh trusts Joey Lucas. | 乔西相信乔伊路卡斯 |
[00:22] | We need you to put a poll in the field without asking questions we can’t ask. | 我需要你做个民调 但不提及我们不能问的问题 |
[00:27] | I was almost sure I saw you give the president an injection. | 我几乎能确定 我看到你在帮总统打针 |
[00:30] | It was Betaseron. It reduces the frequency of the attacks. | 那是干扰素 能降低心脏病发作的频率 |
[00:34] | Tobacco has spent $380 million to the government’s 36. | 相对于政府的三千六百万 烟草公司花了三亿八千万 |
[00:39] | They perpetrated a fraud against the public. | 他们诈骗民众 |
[00:42] | – They wanna get these people. – We’re not big tobacco. | -他们想要逮住这些人 -我们不是大型烟草公司 十八街跟波多马克大道交口 |
[00:58] | – Eagle’s moving. – He talked to her on the phone? | -老鹰在移动 -他在电话里跟她谈过了? |
[01:01] | – At the airport. – But he called her on the phone. | -在机场 -但是他打电话给她 |
[01:04] | – To get her to the airport. – But I’m saying… | -请她到机场 -但我是说 |
[01:06] | …did she hang up the phone, say to her friends: | 她有没有挂掉电话 跟她的朋友说: |
[01:08] | “You’re never gonna believe why I’m getting on a plane? “ | “你们永远都不会相信 为什么我要上飞机?” |
[01:10] | He told her she was coming out to do polling on subsurface agriculture. | 他要她出来 为地下农业做民调 |
[01:14] | – What the hell is that? – It’s vegetables that grow underground. | -那是什么东西? -它是长在地下的蔬菜 |
[01:17] | He told her she was coming here to find out if Americans were eating more beets. | 他要她来调查一下 美国人对甜菜的摄取量是不是增加了 |
[01:22] | – Is this a joke? – It was Josh, Mr. President. | -这是开玩笑吗? -是乔西,总统先生 |
[01:25] | It was a job done well. You want to start not trusting Josh? | 这份工作做的很好 你要开始不相信乔西吗? |
[01:31] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 |
[01:32] | – Where are we going? – The basement. | -我们要去哪里? -地下室 |
[01:34] | Why? | 为什么? |
[01:35] | I don’t like how it looks, the seven of us meeting in the middle of the night. | 我不喜欢我们七个 在三更半夜开会的样子 |
[01:38] | You like the way it looks meeting in the basement? | 你喜欢在地下室开会的样子? |
[01:41] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 |
[01:45] | These numbers are gonna be meaningless. | 这些数字 会变得毫无意义 |
[01:47] | A governor from an industrial state. | 一个来自工业州的州长 |
[01:50] | It’s posed as a hypothetical before people have any education. | 这好像是在假设 大家没有受过教育 |
[01:53] | No way to factor existing approval numbers when it comes to trust matters. | 提到信任的问题 我们无法分析出数字的意义 |
[01:58] | Sagittarius. | 射手座 |
[02:03] | – Are they on their way? – Yeah. | -他们来了吗? -对 |
[02:08] | – They’re on their way? – Yeah. | -他们来了吗? -对 |
[02:15] | Joey, your flight was all right? | 乔伊,一路还平安吗? |
[02:20] | Your flight was all okay? | 一路都很顺利吧? |
[02:23] | These numbers aren’t gonna mean anything, right? | 这些数字不具任何意义,对吧? |
[02:25] | With the hypothetical and lack of context? | 这是假设而且缺乏内容? |
[02:28] | – Plus the pre-existing level of trust? – Yeah. | -还有之前的信任度? -对 |
[02:30] | I’m saying, he’s got numbers like Walter Cronkite. | 我是说 他的数字跟华特克朗奇特一样 |
[02:33] | Yeah. | 对 |
[02:37] | Is there anything in there that we’re gonna like? | 有没有什么 我们会喜欢的事? |
[02:45] | – We are, in fact, eating more beets. – Okay. | -事实上我们吃掉更多的甜菜 -好吧 |
[02:51] | Good evening. | 晚安 |
[02:52] | Mr. President, you remember Joey Lucas… | 总统先生 你记得乔伊路卡斯 |
[02:55] | …and her interpreter, Kenny. | 跟她的翻译肯尼 |
[02:57] | – Joey, did you make photocopies of that? – No, sir. | -乔伊,你影印了吗? -没有 |
[03:00] | Good. Let’s get started. | 很好,我们开始吧 |
[03:07] | Mr. President, I polled 1170 registered voters in Michigan… | 总统先生,我对一千一百七十位 密西根登记选民做了民调 |
[03:14] | …giving their governor a hypothetical… | 为他们的州长做了一个假设 |
[03:16] | Excuse me. How many people in this room know Kenny’s last name? | 对不起,这里有多少人 知道肯尼姓什么? |
[03:23] | It’s fine. | 没关系 |
[03:24] | I believe this operation is no longer covert. | 我相信,这不再是秘密行动 |
[03:27] | Mr. President, Kenny’s been with me for 11 years. | 总统先生,肯尼跟了我十一年 |
[03:30] | To trust me is to trust him. | 要相信我就得相信他 |
[03:34] | – Josh? – Yeah. | -乔西 -是的 |
[03:40] | Go ahead. | 来吧 |
[03:42] | 1170 registered voters in Michigan were polled… | 一千一百七十位 密西根登记选民接受民调 |
[03:46] | …giving their governor a hypothetical, concealed, degenerative illness. | 我们假设他们的州长 得了衰退性的疾病 |
[03:51] | These are the results. | 这是民调结果 |
[03:53] | ” Do you agree that it’s okay for the governor to lie about his health? “ | “你同意州长可以 对他的健康情况说谎吗?” |
[03:58] | Seventeen percent agree, 83 percent disagree. | 一成七的人同意,八成三的人不同意 |
[04:02] | “Would you be as likely or less likely to vote for the governor… | “知道他得了衰退性疾病后 |
[04:06] | …now that you know he has a degenerative illness? “ | 你会不会投州长一票?” |
[04:09] | Seventy-one percent say less likely. | 七成一的人说不会 |
[04:12] | The largest block of likely voters are women over 55. | 会投票的比例最高的族群 是超过五十五岁的妇女 |
[04:17] | 78 percent of those women say they wouldn’t vote for a candidate with MS. | 这些妇女中有七成八的人说她们不会 投票给患有多发性硬化症的候选人 |
[04:22] | We just lost Florida. | 我们丢掉了佛罗里达州 |
[04:26] | This may be the worst stat, sir. | 这可能是最糟糕的结果 |
[04:28] | Seventy-four percent believe MS to be fatal. | 七成四的人相信 多发性硬化症有致命性 |
[04:32] | They may be right. | 或许他们是对的 |
[04:35] | Sixty-two percent of Democrats aren’t gonna vote for you. | 六成二的民主党员 不会投你一票 |
[04:39] | Sixty-five percent of those describing themselves as liberal… | 他们之中有六成四的人 自认是自由派份子 |
[04:42] | …aren’t gonna vote for you because you lied. | 因为你说谎 他们不会投票给你 |
[04:48] | Joey, is there any good news in there at all? | 乔伊,你有好消息吗? |
[04:51] | No, sir. | 没有 罗伯洛 杜希尔 艾莉森詹尼 珍妮尔摩隆奈 里察薛福 约翰史宾赛 布雷迪威佛德 马丁辛 |
[05:39] | – Who’s in Port-au-Prince right now? – The U. N. observer group. | -现在谁在太子港? -联合国观察团 |
[05:42] | Which consists of? | 组成的人员是什么? |
[05:43] | 400 technical advisers and observers, and 65 unarmed security specialists. | 四百名技术顾问跟观察员 还有六十五名非武装安全专家 |
[05:48] | – And the OAS? – They’ve got about 200 observers. | -美洲国家组织呢? -他们有约两百名的观察员 |
[05:51] | What happened last night? | 昨晚发生了什么事? |
[05:53] | Citing improper permits, Col. Bazan’s soldiers surrounded Carrefour Liberté. | 为了征寻适合的许可 班查上校的士兵包围自由路口 |
[05:57] | – Liberty Square. – Yeah. | -也就是自由广场 -对 |
[05:58] | To prevent a victory rally by supporters of Dessalines. | 为了避免迪萨林斯的支持者 发生暴动 |
[06:01] | Some of the crowd refused to disperse. Shots were fired. | 有些群众拒绝离开 所以枪声大作 |
[06:04] | – Anybody killed? – Two people. | -有人死亡吗? -两人死亡 |
[06:06] | Rene Ducasse, the newly designated minister of justice, was arrested… | 雷尼杜卡西是刚被任命的 司法部长,他遭到逮捕 |
[06:10] | …and soldiers have surrounded the house of the chief justice. | 士兵们包围检察总长的家 |
[06:13] | They say, to protect him from death threats. | 他们说是要保护他 避免受到死亡威胁 |
[06:15] | Our intelligence says he’s under house arrest. | 我们的情报显示他遭到软禁 |
[06:16] | Most troubling is personnel carriers with Haitian troops… | 最麻烦的是海地军队 |
[06:19] | …parked in front of every police station in Port-au-Prince. | 驻扎在太子港所有警局门口 |
[06:22] | This is a sign that the army plans to take power from the Gendarme Nationale. | 这证明军队计划 夺走国家宪警的权力 |
[06:28] | – Where’s the president-elect? – Sir, we can’t find him. | -准总统在哪里? -长官,我们找不到他 |
[06:31] | – I’m sorry? – At this moment… | -你说什么? -现在 |
[06:32] | – … we can’t find Dessalines. – That’s not the most troubling thing? | -我们找不到迪萨林斯 -那不是最麻烦的事吗? |
[06:35] | What do you mean…? | 你是什么意思 |
[06:37] | He never showed up for a 4 p.m. conference with Gilbert Tass. | 他没有参加下午四点 跟吉伯特塔斯的会议 |
[06:39] | Calls to the party headquarters and his houses went unanswered. | 打电话到党部跟他家 都没有人接 |
[06:42] | Armed forces radio says he’s fled the country, but the Dominicans say no. | 武装部队无线电说他流亡出境 但多明尼加拒绝他入境 |
[06:46] | What about intelligence? | 情报怎么说? |
[06:48] | It’s not like we can just call around. It’s chaos there. Nobody knows anything. | 现在我们是英雄无用武之地 那里是一团乱,谁都不知道怎么了 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 |
[06:58] | Leo? | 里奥 |
[07:00] | Let’s evacuate the nonessential personnel from the embassy. | 制片:劳伦斯欧唐尼尔二世 我们应该撤离 使馆的非必要人员 |
[07:03] | Any move to evacuate the embassy, even the nonessentials… | 只要使馆人员一撤离 即使是非必要人员 |
[07:06] | …will be a signal of no confidence in the Dessalines government. | 都显示我们不相信 迪萨林斯政府 |
[07:10] | At the moment, there is no Dessalines government, and no Dessalines. | 现在没有迪萨林斯政府 迪萨林斯不见了 |
[07:13] | I just got done pulling nine dead bodies out of Colombia. | 我刚刚从哥伦比亚 运回九具尸体 |
[07:16] | Evacuate the nonessentials, get some Marines at the embassy… | 撤离非必要人员 请海军陆战队进驻使馆 |
[07:19] | – … and somebody brief Fitzwallace. – Thank you, Mr. President. | -谁去跟费兹华伦斯做简报 -谢谢总统先生 制片:李维林威尔斯 编剧:艾伦索金 |
[07:31] | Sagittarius. | 射手座 |
[07:37] | Why not a presidential address? Ten, 15 minutes. | 导演:罗伯柏霖吉尔 为什么没有总统演说? 只要十到十五分钟就好了 |
[07:40] | ” I have this illness. I concealed it. I apologize. | “我患了这种病,我隐瞒大家 对不起 |
[07:44] | Let me tell you about it. Let me reduce your fears. “ | 让我来告诉你们 让我减轻你们的恐惧” |
[07:47] | It’s too cold. He needs to be with the first lady. | 那太冷漠了 他得跟第一夫人一起亮相 |
[07:49] | In some decorative room? Sitting with his wife weakens him. | 在装饰的很漂亮的房间里? 跟他太太坐在一起会显得他很软弱 |
[07:52] | Let’s put him behind the Kennedy desk, in the East Room… | 让他坐在东室 肯尼迪的的桌子后面 |
[07:55] | He’s gonna go on TV and say he lied. I don’t want him doing it behind the seal. | 他要上电视说他说谎 我不要他在总统的标记前那么说 |
[07:59] | You think without the seal people will forget he’s president? | 你以为没有总统的标记 大家会忘记他是总统? |
[08:01] | We’ll do a 30-minute live special for one of the news magazines. | 我们为新发行的杂志 做三十分钟的特别现场报导 |
[08:03] | – ” Live, ” live-to-tape or tape? – Live. | -“现场”是现场录影或现场转播? -现场报导 |
[08:05] | I don’t want a producer editing what he says. | 我不要制作人 剪接他说的话 |
[08:07] | – What if we want to edit what he says? – That’s our tough luck. | -如果我们要剪接他说的话呢? -那是我们的运气不好 |
[08:12] | – When? – How about Thursday night? | -什么时候? -星期四晚上呢? |
[08:13] | – Wednesday night. – Why? | -星期三晚上 -为什么? |
[08:14] | Thursday is where they pay their bills. It’s tough enough getting 30 minutes… | 星期四他们得付帐单 在五月大扫荡中 |
[08:18] | …and not telling them why during May sweeps. | 不告诉他们原因 要拿到三十分钟的时段真的很难? |
[08:20] | – Who gives a damn about May sweeps? – They do, Sam. | -谁在乎五月大扫荡? -他们在乎,山姆 |
[08:28] | All right, 30 minutes, Dateline special, Wednesday night… | 好吧,三十分钟,《资讯线上 特别节目》,星期三晚上 |
[08:33] | …night after tomorrow, president and first lady in the Mural Room. | 也就是后天晚上 总统跟第一夫人会在壁划室 |
[08:36] | We’ll follow that with a press conference. | 之后我们会召开记者会 |
[08:38] | – Why? – To control the story as long as possible. | -为什么? -尽可能控制报导内容 |
[08:41] | Once he gets done with Russert or Diane or Stone Phillips… | 他回答完罗赛特 黛安或史东菲利普的问题后 |
[08:44] | …I’ll need every reporter in a room where I can see them. | 我要所有记者到我可以 看到他们的房间里 |
[08:47] | – Put a team of medical experts there. – We have 48 hours to find them. | -请一组医学专家过来 -我们有四十八小时能找到他们 |
[08:51] | If we take him from the Mural Room to a press conference… | 如果我们让他从壁划室 到记者会现场 |
[08:54] | …won’t a smart reporter ask: | 聪明的记者不会问: |
[08:55] | ” Mr. President, aren’t you planning on seeking re-election? “ | “总统先生 你不计划寻求连任吗?” |
[09:01] | A smart rep… | 聪明的记 |
[09:03] | Ted Baxter’s gonna ask, ” Mr. President, are you planning to seek re-election? “ | 泰德巴克斯顿会问: “总统先生 你计划寻求连任吗?” |
[09:11] | So we’re gonna need an answer to that too. | 我们也得回答那个问题 |
[09:17] | – Are you getting an 8-speaker stereo? – No. | -你要一个八声道的音响? -不 |
[09:19] | – Six speakers? – No. | -六声道呢? -不 |
[09:20] | How many speakers? | 要多少声道? |
[09:22] | I have two ears. How many speakers do I need? | 我有两个耳朵 我需要几个声道? |
[09:24] | – At least six and a subwoofer. – I’m not getting a subwoofer. | -至少要六声道,还要一个重低音喇叭 -我不要重低音喇叭 |
[09:29] | – How about the tow package? – The tow package? | -吊架呢? -吊架? |
[09:31] | – To tow your boat. – I don’t have a boat. | -可以拖你的船 -我没有船 |
[09:34] | – What about a camper? – No. | -露营用具呢? -不 |
[09:37] | – What do you tow? – Groceries. | -你要拖什么? -杂货 |
[09:40] | You could put those in the trunk. | 你可以把那些放在车厢里 |
[09:42] | – Tinted windows? – Hey. | -隔热窗户呢? -嘿 |
[09:44] | Hello, Josh. | 哈��,乔西 |
[09:45] | Mrs. Landingham’s picking up a new car today. | 蓝丁汉太太 今天买了新车 |
[09:47] | – Really? – I wish I hadn’t told anyone. | -真的吗? -真希望我没有告诉任何人 |
[09:49] | Why do men think women can’t buy a car without a man? | 为什么男人觉得没有男人 女人就不能买车? |
[09:51] | It’s an old stereotype, Mrs. L. Did you get the extended service warranty? | 那是陈规,蓝丁汉太太 你有增值服务保证书吗? |
[09:55] | – No. – Women. | -没有 -女人 |
[09:58] | – What do you want? – Leo wanted to see me. | -你有什么事? -里奥要见我 |
[10:01] | – He’s in his office. – Did you get the tow package? | -他在他的办公室里 -你有吊架吗? |
[10:03] | – See? – He’s in his office. | -看吧? -他在他的办公室里 |
[10:08] | Margaret. | 玛格丽特 |
[10:11] | – Where’s Josh? – He’s on his way. | -乔西在哪里? -他在路上 |
[10:13] | – He remembers where my office is? – Calm down. I’m right here. | -他记得我的办公室在哪里吗? -冷静点,我在这里 |
[10:16] | – He’s right here. – Get out. | -他来了 -出去 |
[10:21] | – This report is staggering. – I know. | -这份报告很惊人 -我知道 |
[10:24] | Justice has 31 lawyers and staff, tobacco has 1893 lawyers… | 司法部有三十一位律师跟工作人员 烟草公司有一千八百九十三位律师 |
[10:30] | …and 2783 paralegals. | 跟两千七百八十三位律师助理 |
[10:34] | – This isn’t a typo, right? – No. | -这没有打错吧? -没有 |
[10:36] | We’ve spent 8. 7 million on outside counsel, they’ve spent 192. | 我们花了八百七十万外聘顾问 他们花了一亿九千两百万 |
[10:41] | The 61.3 million they’ve spent on travel expenses is twice as much… | 他们的差旅费是六千一百三十万 是我们花在这个案子上 |
[10:46] | – … as we’ve spent on our entire case. – Yes. | -总费用的两倍 -对 |
[10:48] | Who oversees the Justice Department budget? | 谁监督司法部的预算? |
[10:50] | The subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, State and the Judiciary. | 商业,司法,内政及司法 的附属委员会 |
[10:53] | – Who’s the ranking minority member? – Ritter. | -谁是少数领袖? -瑞特 |
[10:55] | Talk to him and find out what the problem is. | 跟他谈一谈 找出问题出在哪里 |
[10:58] | Josh, how’s it going downstairs? | 乔西,楼下还好吧? |
[11:03] | They’ll have an answer by the end of the day. | 他们在下班前会找到答案 |
[11:04] | It’s looking like 30 minutes on Dateline and a press conference. | 看起来我们会上三十分钟的《资讯线》 再举行记者会 |
[11:07] | But, Leo, it’s also looking like any scenario is gonna require… | 里奥,但看起来我们需要 |
[11:10] | …a firm position from the president on re-election. | 为总统寻求连任做定位 |
[11:14] | Well, we’ll have that answer by the end of the day too. | 下班前 我们也会找到答案 |
[11:18] | – Will we? – Yes. | -可以吗? -是的 |
[11:19] | He got Joey’s numbers in the middle of the night. Give me the day. | 他在半夜才拿到乔伊的报告 给我一点时间 |
[11:23] | Don’t you think it’d help him if he had a discussion among…? | 你不觉得那能帮他的忙 如果他可以讨论 |
[11:29] | A discussion among the rest of us? | 如果他可以跟其他人讨论? |
[11:33] | Excuse me. | 对不起 |
[11:52] | – What? – Two of Dessalines’ bodyguards… | -什么? -两名迪萨林斯的保镖 |
[11:55] | …were shot. We think he’s headed to our embassy. | 中枪死亡 我们认为他打算到我们的使馆 |
[11:57] | – How do we know? – Peter Bratt got a message through. | -我们怎么知道? -彼特布拉特收到线报 |
[11:59] | What is Peter Bratt doing there? | 彼特布拉特在那里做什么? |
[12:00] | He went for the inauguration, and he may have Dessalines in the trunk of his car. | 他去参加就职典礼 他把迪萨林斯藏在他的后车厢里 |
[12:05] | – In the trunk of his car? – Yes, sir. | -他的后车厢? -是的 |
[12:07] | – Did we evacuate the nonessentials? – On their way. | -我们撤离了非必要人员吗? -他们都在路上 |
[12:10] | A C-9 is waiting for them on the runway. | C-9飞机在跑道上等他们 |
[12:12] | If we don’t take Dessalines, he’ll be convicted in a 20-minute trial… | 如果我们不收留迪萨林斯 经过二十分钟的审判后 |
[12:16] | …imprisoned for life or probably executed by the junta. | 他会被判终生监禁 或许会被议院处决 |
[12:19] | This is an internal affair in Haiti. The U.S. has no place choosing sides. | 这是海地的内政 美国没有资格选边站 |
[12:22] | Of course we’re choosing sides. There was a free election. | 我们当然要选边站 那是自由选举 |
[12:25] | We saw to it. There was a free election, and Dessalines won. | 我们都看到了,那是自由选举 迪萨林斯赢了 |
[12:29] | If we grant asylum, we’ll be in a standoff with Bazan. | 如果我们给他庇护 我们是在跟巴森过不去 |
[12:31] | Bazan can elevate his stature in Haiti by staging a standoff with the U.S. | 巴森会借口美国跟他过不去 提高他在海地的地位 |
[12:35] | Bazan can surround the embassy, saying he’s searching for a wanted criminal… | 巴森会包围使馆 说他要搜索通缉犯 |
[12:38] | …and he can take everyone in the embassy hostage. | 他会把使馆里的人当成人质 |
[12:41] | Mr. President, there will never be real elections in Haiti… | 总统先生 在海地没有真正的选举 |
[12:45] | …if the military thinks it can kill the winner. | 只要军队愿意 他们可以杀掉胜选的人 |
[12:47] | Also, I’d like to point out, sir, that we encouraged Dessalines to run. | 我还要说 我们鼓励迪萨林斯参选 |
[12:51] | In fact, we strongly encouraged it, and now he’s in the trunk of a car. | 事实上我们强力鼓励他 现在他躲在后车厢里 |
[12:54] | The car’s at the gate. I got the gate right here. | 车子到了门口 大门口的人在线上 |
[12:58] | – Let him in. – Sir. | -让他进去 -长官 |
[13:00] | – Let him in. – Tell them to let him in. | -让他进去 -告诉他们让他进去 |
[13:13] | He’s in. | 他进去了 |
[13:22] | Do we put Hoynes up there at the press conference? | 何尼斯要参加记者会吗? |
[13:26] | – Put Hoynes up there? – There’s never been… | -何尼斯要参加什么? -这是强调 |
[13:29] | …a more important time to emphasize the vice presidency. | 副总统存在的大好机会 |
[13:31] | The vice president’s presence underlines the health risk to the president. | 副总统出现 强调总统的健康有问题 |
[13:34] | The president anticipated this problem with the selection of the vice president. | 总统在选择副总统时 就预测到这个问题了 |
[13:37] | It’ll also serve to underscore that he anticipated the problem and didn’t tell. | 它也强调他预测到这个问题 没有告诉大家 |
[13:41] | Hoynes was one of the first to know. If he’s there, it’s a demonstration… | 何尼斯是首先知道的人之一 如果他出现,那显示 |
[13:44] | …that he signed off on the president’s health. | 他隐瞒总统的健康情况 |
[13:46] | He’ll get bombarded with questions about what he knew… | 大家会问他 他知道些什么事 |
[13:49] | …and the press corps will impanel themselves as a grand jury. | 媒体会摆出 大陪审团的姿态 |
[13:51] | Then let them, C.J. | 让他们那么做吧,茜洁 |
[13:53] | – We did something wrong or we didn’t. – Well, fantastic, Sam. | -这么做不是对的,就是错的 -太棒了,山姆 |
[13:56] | I didn’t realize it was that simple. | 我不知道有那么简单 |
[14:10] | There’s a situation developing in Port- au-Prince. I have to get ready to brief. | 太子港有最新消息 我得去准备做简报 |
[14:25] | Sam, can Josiah Bartlet function as president? | 山姆,约书亚巴特勒 能胜任总统的职责吗? |
[14:29] | I’m not a medical expert. | 我不是医学专家 |
[14:33] | Right. | 对 |
[14:37] | Toby, there is responsibility, and the future, and an obligation to the party. | 托比,这牵涉到责任,未来 跟政党的义务 |
[14:42] | If he’s not gonna run, he’s gotta point to Hoynes and say, “This is our guy. “ | 如果他不竞选,他得指着 何尼斯说: “他就是我们的人选” |
[14:47] | And what if they ask Hoynes, ” In the meantime… | 如果他们问何尼斯 “在这个时候 |
[14:51] | – … can Bartlet function as president? ” – He’ll say yes. | -巴特勒能胜任总统的职责吗?” -他会回答是的 |
[14:55] | What if he says, ” I’m not a medical expert”? | 如果他说: “我不是医学专家”呢? |
[14:59] | The president of Haiti was taken to the embassy in the trunk of a car? | 海地总统躲在后车厢里 被送进使馆? |
[15:04] | Yes. | 对 |
[15:06] | – I’ve lived too long. – Don’t go anywhere, because I need you. | -我活得太久了 -别乱跑,我需要你 |
[15:10] | I mean it. This will get worse before it gets better. | 我是认真的,在事情好转前 情况会变得更糟糕 |
[15:13] | You may be right, but Haiti’s actually not what I wanted to talk to you about. | 或许你说的对 但我不是想跟你谈海地的事 |
[15:17] | – Tobacco? – The president wants to get behind… | -烟草公司吗? -总统想支持 |
[15:19] | …a $30 million appropriations bill… | 几个月前 |
[15:21] | …the Justice Department’s had in your committee for months. | 你的委员会答应给司法部的 三千万预算 |
[15:25] | – They need money to continue the case. – I know. | -他们需要钱继续打官司 -我知道 |
[15:28] | – Has the chairman scheduled a vote? – He’s not gonna. | -主席排定投票时间了吗? -他不会那么做 |
[15:32] | He won’t schedule a vote? | 他不会排定投票时间? |
[15:34] | Kalmbach’s gonna dance with the girl that brung him. | 卡姆巴哈 会跟他身边的女孩跳舞 |
[15:37] | How much tobacco money has he taken? | 他收了烟草公司多少钱? |
[15:39] | – In the last campaign? – Yeah. | -在上次竞选时吗? -对 |
[15:40] | Four hundred and sixty thousand in Pacs. | 四十六万的政治献金 |
[15:43] | – Is there a nose count? – Yeah, eight to seven against. | -比数很接近吗? -对,八比七 |
[15:46] | – Along party lines? – No, believe it or not… | -两党壁垒分明吗? -不,信不信由你 |
[15:48] | …we’ve got two Republicans, they’ve got two Democrats. | 两位共和党员支持我们 他们拉走两位民主党员 |
[15:51] | – They’ve got two Democrats? – Warren and Rossitter. | -他们拉走两位民主党员? -华伦跟罗席特 |
[15:54] | Warren and Rossitter aren’t even from the South. | 华伦跟罗席特 根本不是南方人 |
[15:56] | They have ideological problems with the case. | 他们对这个案子 太过理想化 |
[15:58] | This is a phenomenally important case. It’s historic. | 这是非常重要的案子 它有历史性 |
[16:02] | It has to be won, and we’re fighting it with paper clips and a slingshot. | 我们非赢不可 我们要用回纹针跟弹弓来对抗它 |
[16:07] | We were wondering when you guys were gonna notice. | 我们还在想 你们什么时候才会注意到 |
[16:20] | – Hi. | – Hi. -嗨 -嗨 |
[16:23] | – Have a seat. – I was told you wanted to see me. | -请坐 -听说你找我 |
[16:25] | Yeah, Donna. | 是的,唐娜 |
[16:29] | I’m gonna tell you something shocking… | 我要告诉你一件惊人的事 |
[16:32] | …except we don’t have time to be shocked. | 只不过我们没有时间吃惊 |
[16:35] | So I need you to just hear it and go back to work. | 我要你听完后 立刻回去工作 |
[16:42] | Eight years ago, the president was diagnosed with MS. | 八年前 总统被诊断患有多发性硬化症 |
[16:46] | He concealed it during the election, but we’re going public… | 在竞选期间他隐瞒此事 现在我们要公布消息 |
[16:49] | …with a live network interview and a press conference. | 做现场联播专访 召开记者会 |
[16:53] | This is what Josh is gonna be working on 24 hours, and he’ll need your help… | 这就是乔西接下来会忙的事 他需要你帮忙 |
[16:57] | …and he’s gonna need you to know. And so I’m telling you. | 现在他要你知道真相 所以我才会告诉你 |
[17:08] | You’re the first person on the assistant level to find out. | 你是第一个知道的助理 |
[17:13] | Margaret doesn’t know. Bonnie and Ginger don’t know. | 玛格丽特不知道 邦妮跟金洁不知道 |
[17:17] | Mrs. Landingham doesn’t know. | 蓝丁汉太太不知道 |
[17:21] | Is the president in a lot of pain or discomfort right now? | 总统现在很痛苦 或不舒服吗? |
[17:24] | – No, he’s in remission. – Okay. | -不,他现在很好 -好吧 |
[17:30] | Is there anything else? | 还有别的事吗? |
[17:33] | I want to impress upon you how important it is that this not be… | 我要告诉你 你最好不要 |
[17:36] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[17:48] | You wanna know where you made your mistake? | 你想知道你错在哪儿吗? |
[17:50] | I didn’t make a mistake. | 我没有犯错 |
[17:52] | You probably did. Here’s where you went wrong. | 或许你有 那就是你不对的地方 |
[17:54] | – Where? – You went to the dealership alone. | -哪里? -你自己去找代理商 |
[17:56] | – Yes. – That was a mistake. | -对 -那是个错误 |
[17:57] | Because the dealer would load me up with extras I don’t need? | 因为代理商会给我 我不需要的东西? |
[18:00] | – That’s right. – Like a tow package? | -没错 -譬如说吊架? |
[18:03] | How will you tow your camper without a tow package? | 没有吊架 你要怎么拖露营用品? |
[18:05] | I have never been camping. | 我从来不露营 |
[18:07] | Neither have I. I was hoping you’d take me. | 我也是 我希望你会带我去 |
[18:08] | I’d be sitting there fishing, listening to the Orioles on a transistor radio. | 我要坐在那里钓鱼 用电晶体收音机听金莺队的比赛 |
[18:12] | – What would I be doing? – Warding off bears, that kind of thing. | -我要做什么? -你负责注意熊来了的事 |
[18:15] | – How much did you pay? – We don’t talk about money, dear. | -你付了多少钱? -我们不谈钱,亲爱的 |
[18:18] | Can you tell me how much you paid below sticker? | 你能告诉我你砍了多少钱? |
[18:20] | – I didn’t pay anything below sticker. – What do you mean? | -我没有杀价 -你是什么意思? |
[18:23] | I didn’t pay anything above sticker either. | 我没有 付超过标价以上的钱 |
[18:25] | – Mrs. Landingham, seriously. – Charlie… | -蓝丁汉太太,认真一点 -查理 |
[18:27] | – You paid sticker price? – Yes. | -你照标价付钱? -对 |
[18:29] | – Why? – That was the price. | -为什么? -价格就是那样 |
[18:30] | – Mrs…. – Says so right on the sticker. | -听着 -价格表上是那么写的 |
[18:32] | – Who pays sticker price? – I do. | -谁会照价格表付钱? -我就会 |
[18:34] | – Let me go back there with you. – I wasn’t duped. | -让我陪你回去 -我没有被骗 |
[18:36] | – You paid sticker price. – I’m a government employee. | -你付了价格表上的钱 -我是政府雇员 |
[18:39] | That doesn’t mean you’re a fool. | 那不表示你是笨蛋 |
[18:41] | No, but it means I’m not allowed to accept gifts of a certain value. | 不,但那表示 我不能收特定价格的礼物 |
[18:43] | – It’s not a gift. – Of course it is. | -那不是礼物 -它当然是 |
[18:46] | The price tag says one thing and the dealer gives it to me for something less. | 价格表上写了一个数字 代理商要帮我降价 |
[18:50] | – That happens when you buy a car. – Not me. | -买车时都会发生那种事 -我就不会 |
[18:52] | – I was looking for Leo. – Situation Room. | -我要找里奥 -战情室 |
[18:54] | That’s usually a good sign. | 通常那是个好兆头 |
[18:58] | – How many are they saying? – They can’t say. | -他们说多少? -他们没说 |
[19:01] | – How many are they estimating? – It changes every minute. | -他们估计是多少? -每分钟都会改变 |
[19:03] | – How many this minute? – Nancy, the cavalry. | -现在是多少? -南西,骑兵队 |
[19:06] | – You guys need some adult supervision? – No, we need the cavalry. | -你们需要大人的监督吗? -不,我们需要骑兵队? |
[19:10] | What’s the latest estimate? | 最新的估计是多少? |
[19:11] | It’s about 500 soldiers, maybe 300 of them with AR-15s. | 大约五百位士兵 或许有三百人拿着AR-15步枪 |
[19:15] | We sold those to them, right? | 我们把那些武器卖给他们,对吧? |
[19:17] | Well, until a few hours ago, they were on our side. | 几小时前 他们还站在我们这边 |
[19:21] | – Still. – Yeah. | -还是我们卖的 -对 |
[19:22] | AR-15s aren’t the only thing they’ve got. | AR-15步枪 不是他们唯一的武器 |
[19:24] | They’ve got two Bradleys with 120 mm cannons and a couple of artillery tubes. | 他们有两辆有一百二十厘米大跑的 布莱德利战车跟口径跑 |
[19:28] | – What do we have? – 37 Marines with M14s… | -我们有什么? -37名拿着M14步枪的陆战队 |
[19:30] | …and Beretta sidearms. | 跟贝瑞塔手枪 |
[19:32] | What happens when the first shot is fired? | 第一声枪响后 会发生什么事? |
[19:34] | – Get me hooked up to operations. – Yes. | -帮我联络指挥部 -是的 |
[19:36] | Embassy Marines aren’t lawn jockeys. They’re not decorative. | 使馆海军陆战队员不是除草工人 他们不是装饰品 |
[19:41] | They’re trained in restraint, and they’re trained well. | 他们受过严格训练 他们有一身技艺 |
[19:44] | – Operations, ma’am. – Thank you. | -指挥部 -谢谢 |
[19:45] | If they take the embassy, how will we know? | 如果他们占领了使馆 我们怎么会知道? |
[19:47] | Will they send a note? | 他们会送字条过来吗? |
[19:49] | Sidney, I need Com Con status. This is a few minutes old. | 雪梨,我要知道最新通讯情况 这是几分钟前的消息 |
[19:52] | There’s no note, Leo. They’re taking the embassy. | 没有字条,里奥 他们占领了使馆 |
[19:57] | Fitz, this is Nancy. | 费兹,我是南西 |
[19:59] | I think we should mobilize the 880th Hostage Task Force out of Parris Island. | 我想我们应该调动在派瑞斯岛的 880营救人质特别部队 |
[20:07] | The USS Enterprise, as well as amphibious carriers out of Florida… | 美国企业号 跟两栖部队从佛罗里达州出动 |
[20:11] | …are being dispatched to the region, expected to be there in 36 hours. | 赶往该区 预计会在三十六小时内抵达 |
[20:15] | Aircraft will be in a combat radius of 3 to 400 miles within 12 hours. | 飞机会在十二小时内 抵达三百到四百里的战斗范围 |
[20:20] | You’ll get more details on that when the Pentagon briefs at 3. | 在五角大厦三点的简报中 你们会知道更多的讯息 |
[20:23] | – C.J.! – Katie. | -茜洁 -凯蒂 |
[20:24] | Should we read anything into the fact that Pentagon’s briefing, not State? | -茜洁 -凯蒂 我们应该相信五角大厦的简报 不理会国务院吗? |
[20:28] | State will brief later. | 国务院稍后会做简报 |
[20:29] | Is one option recognizing the Bazan government? | 国务院稍后会做简报 政府考虑 承认巴森政府吗? |
[20:31] | – There is no Bazan government. – But is one…? | -巴森政府不存在 -但你们 |
[20:33] | – You’re not taking me there, Mark. – Is the U.S. prepared to invade Haiti? | -你套不了我,马克 -美国准备入侵海地吗? |
[20:37] | It should be clear that we’re talking about two separate issues. | 很明显地 这是两件完全不相干的事 |
[20:40] | One is a democratically elected president… | 一个是民主程序 选出来的总统 |
[20:42] | …whose people are being denied their leader by an armed militia. | 武装军队 不承认人民选出来的领袖 |
[20:44] | The other is the lives of Americans in the embassy and the Marines. | 另一个是在使馆里的美国人 跟海军陆战队员的安全 |
[20:48] | – You didn’t answer my question. – How about that? I’ll be back. | -你没有回答我的问题 -那又怎样?我会回来的 |
[21:00] | – Is he here? – He’s in the Mural Room. | -他来了吗? -他在壁划室 |
[21:03] | – I look all right? – You look pretty tired. | -我看起来还好吧? -你看起来累极了 |
[21:06] | That’s what you’re saying to me? | 那就是你要跟我说的话? |
[21:14] | There’s nothing I can get for you, Mr. Hacket? | 不需要我 为你效劳吗?海克特先生 |
[21:16] | No, Bonnie, thanks. I’m fine. | 不,邦妮,谢谢你,我很好 |
[21:21] | – Paul. – Good afternoon, Claudia. | -保罗 -午安,克劳蒂雅 |
[21:24] | Bonnie, would you stand outside the door, please… | 邦妮 请你出去一下 |
[21:27] | …and knock if anybody wants to come in? | 有人想进来的话请敲门 |
[21:33] | She took me in through the basement. | 她带我从地下室进来 |
[21:36] | I’ve been in this building 300 times, never came in through the basement. | 我来过这里三百次了 我从来没有从地下室进来过 |
[21:40] | – What do you got in front? – The White House Press Corps. | -你在前面忙什么? -白宫记者团 |
[21:44] | – Yeah? – I need 30 minutes, night after tomorrow. | -是吗? -我需要后天晚上三十分钟的时段 |
[21:47] | – What are you guys planning for Haiti? – It’s not Haiti. | -你们对海地有什么计划? -这跟海地无关 |
[21:50] | – What is it? – I’m not gonna tell you. | -怎么了? -我不能告诉你 |
[21:52] | What do I tell my news director? | 我该怎么告诉我的编审? |
[21:54] | – It’s your network. – It’s not. | 我该怎么告诉我的编审? -那是你的联播网 -才不是 |
[21:55] | It belongs to a company that belongs to stockholders. | -那是你的联播网 -才不是 它属于一家 由股东组成的公司 |
[21:58] | What am I supposed to tell him? | 我该怎么告诉他们? |
[21:59] | That we need 30 minutes Wednesday night. | 我们需要星期三晚上 三十分钟的时段 |
[22:02] | On Wednesday morning, I’ll tell you why. | 星期三早上 我会告诉你为什么 |
[22:03] | You pick the interviewer, they’ll have 10 hours to prepare. | 你可以挑选访问者 他们有十小时的时间做准备 |
[22:07] | – Just the president? – The president and first lady. | -只有总统? -总统跟第一夫人 |
[22:10] | – On our set? – In this room. | -在我们的摄影棚里? -在这里 |
[22:14] | So we get the interviewer and the network logo? | 我们可以请访问者来 放置联播网的标记? |
[22:16] | No network logo. | 不能放联播网的标记 |
[22:17] | I’ve gotta get two other networks and CNN to pick this up live. | 不能放联播网的标记 我还能选择其他两家联播网 CNN也会同意做实况转播 |
[22:20] | Bad enough it’s your guy and not theirs. | 选择你们而不是他们就够糟糕了 |
[22:22] | But they’ll run Petticoat Junction before they put your network brand on their air. | 但他们会在你的节目开始前 播放《衬裙风云》 |
[22:28] | – C.J.? – Yeah. | -茜洁 -什么事? |
[22:31] | – Between friends. – Yeah. | -这是我们私下的谈话 -好的 |
[22:33] | Is the water over your head? | 你被逼急了吗? |
[22:36] | No, the water’s exactly at my head. | 对,而且更紧急 |
[22:41] | I’ll talk to Jeremy. | 我会跟杰若米谈 |
[22:44] | We’ll start to leak Wednesday morning to soften the ground… | 我们会从星期三早上 开始跟你们透露内容 |
[22:46] | …but anything leaks before then and I’ll take my business across the street. | 但如果之前就走漏了风声 我会马上换人 |
[22:50] | Yeah. | 好的 |
[22:51] | Well, I was surprised when Andy gave me the nose count… | 安迪告诉我比数很接近时 我吓了一跳 |
[22:55] | …because I wasn’t aware of any ties to tobacco you have. | 因为我不知道 你跟烟草公司有关系 |
[22:58] | – We don’t. – Yeah. | -我们没有 -是的 |
[23:00] | – I don’t. Do you? – No. We grow no tobacco in my state. | -我没有,你呢? -不,我们州是不种烟草的 |
[23:04] | I’d have to check, but I don’t think I’ve taken contributions. | 我得查一下 但我不认为我能做出贡献 |
[23:06] | We are both former U S. attorneys and it’s the suit itself we find troubling. | 我们都是前美国律师 这是件我们都觉得麻烦的案子 |
[23:11] | The suit alleges that the tobacco companies… | 这个案子主张烟草公司 |
[23:14] | …have been engaged in a broad conspiracy of lies since the 1950s. | 从1950年代开始欺瞒大众 |
[23:17] | – Yes. – How exactly… | -对 -司法部的律师 |
[23:19] | …will Justice Department litigators demonstrate that? | 要怎么证明那一点? |
[23:21] | Well, I’m not a litigator and I don’t work at the Justice Department… | 我不是律师 也不在司法部工作 |
[23:25] | …and there’s a reason for both of those things… | 这种事双方一定都有论点 |
[23:28] | …but I don’t think it’s hard to prove… | 但我不认为 |
[23:30] | …that the tobacco companies have lied since we already know they did. | 证明烟草公司说谎很难 因为我们已经知道他们会说谎 |
[23:33] | Every surgeon general since 1964 has warned the public about smoking. | 自从1964年开始 每位卫生署长都在警告民众抽烟有害 |
[23:37] | And since 1966, through Congressional mandate… | 自从1966年 在国会的命令下 |
[23:40] | …a pack of cigarettes has had to carry a warning label. | 烟盒都得印上警告标语 |
[23:43] | Turning around now and saying, “We’ve been had, ” is ridiculous. | 现在你要反过来说 “我们受够了” ,那太荒谬了 |
[23:47] | You saying that people who start smoking… | 你是说开始抽烟 |
[23:49] | …and get addicted to nicotine are too stupid to live? | 对尼古丁成瘾的人 蠢到不该活下去? |
[23:51] | No. I’m saying they’re too stupid to be protected by the courts. | 不,我是说他们蠢到 连法律都保护不了他们 |
[23:55] | “Too stupid to be… ” Every day, the Justice Department uncovers evidence… | “蠢到无法” ,每天 司法部都提出证据 |
[23:59] | …that cigarette companies knew, far better than the rest of us… | 香烟公司比其他人都清楚 |
[24:03] | …that smoking causes death and disease. | 抽烟会导致死亡跟疾病 |
[24:05] | To say nothing of the CEOs being the last seven people on Earth… | 那些总裁们 不会是地球上最后 |
[24:09] | …to discover that nicotine was addictive… | 知道尼古丁 有成瘾性的七个人 |
[24:11] | Your administration wants to prosecute a suit they know is hopeless… | 你的政府想要起诉一个 他们知道没有胜算的案子 |
[24:15] | …so they score points at the expense of an industry that funds your opponents. | 他们要击倒 资助你对手的企业 |
[24:20] | It’s politically correct extortion… | 那是政治抹黑 |
[24:22] | …and that’s why it’s unlikely the appropriations bill… | 所以它不是 一项适宜的法案 |
[24:25] | …will make it out of the subcommittee. | 我们不会把它交给附属委员会 |
[24:31] | It’s almost 3:00. | 已经快三点了 |
[24:34] | By 7, 3000 new people will have taken up smoking. | 到了七点 又有三千人会染上烟瘾 |
[24:39] | 2,800 of them will be under 18. | 其中有两千八百人不满十八岁 |
[24:49] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[24:59] | Good afternoon, ma’am. | 午安,夫人 |
[25:02] | Sagittarius. | 射手座 |
[25:10] | Good afternoon, Mrs. Bartlet. | 午安,巴特勒太太 |
[25:14] | What do we use this place for when we’re not using it for this? | 我们不拿这个地方来做这个 还要拿它来做什么? |
[25:18] | I think… I know we used it to plan some of the millennium things. | 我想我知道 我们用它来计划千禧年的事 |
[25:22] | Didn’t it used to be the photo office? | 它以前不是摆照片的办公室吗? |
[25:24] | I don’t know. I could check it out. | 我不知道 我可以去查一下 |
[25:26] | – Would you like to sit down? – Yeah. | -你想坐下吗? -好吧 |
[25:39] | We’re talking about 30 minutes with an interviewer. | 我们要做三十分钟的专访 |
[25:41] | The questions will be about the medical history. No questions about the law. | 问题是关于病史 不能提起法律问题 |
[25:45] | C.J. got them to agree to that? | 茜洁让他们首肯了吗? |
[25:47] | She will Wednesday morning when she tells them what it’s about. | 星期三早上她跟他们说明时 可以说服他们答应 |
[25:49] | – Why will they agree? – They’d lose the story. | -他们为什么要同意? -不然他们会丢掉这个新闻 |
[25:52] | That’s all right with me. | 我没有意见 |
[25:54] | I’d like to go through the story, get a sense of what you’ll say… | 我没有意见 我想演练一下 了解你们会说什么 |
[25:57] | …run it by Oliver Babish, spend a couple of days going over it with you. | 奥力佛巴比西会安排内容 他会花几天的时间跟你们讨论 |
[26:01] | That sounds fun, but I’m kind of seeing someone right now. | 那听起来很有趣 但我现在跟别人有约 |
[26:04] | It’s not serious, but it could be. You know what I’m saying? | 那不严重,但很可能会引起风暴 你了解我的意思吗? |
[26:09] | Ten years ago, he began experiencing fatigue… | 十年前 他开始觉得疲劳 |
[26:13] | …and signs of paraparesis of the anterior femoral muscles. | 大腿前端肌肉 出现轻度瘫喝 |
[26:19] | – In laymen’s terms? – He had a tingling pain in his thigh. | -简单地来说呢? -他的大腿会刺痛 |
[26:24] | – And those symptoms subsided? – Yes. | -那是衰很的现象? -对 |
[26:27] | And two years later? | 两年后呢? |
[26:30] | My husband experienced neuropathy and presented symptoms… | 我丈夫出现神经病变 他的症状包括了 |
[26:34] | …of optic neuritis with partial unilateral nerve paresis. | 部份单侧神经无力 导致的视神经发炎 |
[26:38] | – Mrs. Bartlet… – Dr. Bartlet. | -巴特勒太太 -巴特勒医生 |
[26:42] | Yes, ma’am. The language you use… | 是的,夫人 你使用的词汇 |
[26:46] | Why aren’t the president and I doing this together? | 为什么我跟总统 不能一起排练? |
[26:49] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么? |
[26:50] | Somebody’s doing this with the president… | 你说什么? 有人在跟总统排练 |
[26:52] | …and I was asking why we’re not doing it at the same time. | 我在问为什么我们不能一起排练 |
[26:56] | – Is it so you can compare our stories? – Yes. | -那样子你们就能比对我们的说法? -对 |
[27:03] | The language you use… | 你使用的词汇 |
[27:05] | Two years later, he felt numbing and dizziness. | 两年后 他觉得发麻跟头晕 |
[27:23] | – Look… – Section 2635 of the guidelines… | -听着 -美国政府道德办公室 |
[27:26] | …laid out in Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch… | 制定的执行单位 员工道德守则 |
[27:30] | …final regulations issued by the U S. Office of Government Ethics… | 最后版本的 第两千六百三十五条 |
[27:34] | Section 2635, wherein White House employees are specifically enjoined… | 第两千六百三十五条 白宫员工特别被纳入规范里 |
[27:39] | …from receiving or soliciting gifts over $20 in value. | 严格禁止员工 接受超过二十块的礼物 |
[27:43] | They want to give me a $ 19 discount on my car, I’ll take it. | 他们想帮我打折减掉十九块 我就会接受 |
[27:49] | – He’s waiting for you. – Thank you. | -他在等你 -谢谢 |
[27:57] | What happened? | 发生了什么事? |
[27:58] | We shot three Haitian soldiers on the runway. | 我们在跑道上 对三名海地士兵开枪 |
[28:01] | – They boarded the plane? – Ground traffic control stopped the plane. | -他们想登机? -地面塔台阻止飞机起飞 |
[28:05] | When the soldiers boarded, they were told they’d boarded a U S. Air Force C-9. | 士兵登机时被告知 他们登上美国空军的C-9飞机 |
[28:10] | They were told to drop their weapons. They were told again. | 他们被命令丢掉武器 我们的人说了两次 |
[28:14] | Two staff sergeants in the bulkhead had a clear shot and took them. | 两名机舱里的武装人员 开了一枪击中他们 |
[28:17] | They dumped the bodies on the tarmac and made an emergency takeoff. | 他们将尸体丢在跑道上 紧急起飞 |
[28:21] | – Leo… – Sir… | -里奥 -长官 |
[28:22] | That wasn’t supposed to happen. | -里奥 -长官 不该发生那种事的 |
[28:24] | I evacuated the nonessentials specifically so that wouldn’t happen. | 我特别撤离不必要的人员 所以不该发生那种事 |
[28:28] | – We… – I gave the order six hours ago. | -我们 -我在六小时前下了命令 |
[28:29] | – They had to… – Six hours ago, I gave the order! | -他们得 -六小时前我就下了令 |
[28:32] | What were they still doing on a runway? | 他们还在跑道上做什么? |
[28:34] | They had to be collected. They weren’t all in one place. | 他们得集合 他们并非住在同一个地方 |
[28:37] | – We shot three men… – That’s what you do. | -我们杀了三个人 -那是我们该做的事 |
[28:39] | – We what? – A foreign hostile puts his foot… | -什么? -外国敌人踏上了 |
[28:41] | …on an American military plane, that’s an attack. | 美国军机 那是攻击行为 |
[28:44] | Rules of engagement give us every right to repel. | 由于发生正面冲突 我们有权反抗 |
[28:46] | I’m sure they had their handbooks with them. | 我相信 他们都带了手册 |
[28:49] | These guys were there to keep the plane on the ground. | 这些家伙 想阻止飞机起飞 |
[28:53] | – The plane is up in the air? – Yes, sir. | -飞机已经升空了吗? -是的 |
[28:55] | What’s happening on the ground? | 地面上情况如何? |
[28:57] | We’re communicating through diplomatic back channels. | 地面上情况如何? 我们经由秘密外交管道在沟通 |
[28:59] | – Who are we using? – The Canadian ambassador… | -我们派谁去谈? -加拿大大使 |
[29:02] | …Dominican intelligence. | 多明尼加情报人员 |
[29:04] | – And what does Bazan want? – Dessalines. | -巴森要什么? -迪萨林斯 |
[29:07] | – On what charge? – That as treasury minister… | -罪名呢? -他在担任财政部长期间 |
[29:10] | …he embezzled $ 18 million earmarked for humanitarian aid. | 盗取一千八百万的 人道救援物资 |
[29:13] | I’m sold. | 我被出卖了 |
[29:23] | Margaret, get me the secretary of state. | 玛格丽特 帮我联络国务�� |
[29:27] | You’re right. I should be bringing them in on re-election. | 你说的对 我该带他们一起竞选连任 |
[29:30] | – I should be talking to them. – Yeah. | -我该跟他们谈一谈 -对 |
[29:32] | I don’t want to make the same mistakes again. | 我不想再犯相同的错误 |
[29:34] | Yeah. Not when there are so many new mistakes we can make. | 对,特别是我们可以犯 很多的新错误 |
[29:38] | Let’s start tonight. Around 9:00, we’ll meet in the residence. | 就从今晚开始 九点左右到我家碰面 |
[29:43] | Scott, I’m with the president. We’re gonna need to invoke 1070 at OAS. | 史考特,我跟总统一起,我们得谈谈 美国国家组织第1070规定 |
[30:00] | – Good evening, Mr. President. – Bob Cratchit. | -晚安,总统先生 -巴伯克拉奇特 |
[30:03] | Surely you have better things to do than annoy me. | 你最擅长的事就是惹毛我 |
[30:06] | – Never. You bought a new car? – Yes. | -才不是,你买了辆新车? -对 |
[30:07] | – And you paid sticker price? – Section 2635… | -你照牌价付钱? -第两千六百三十五条规定 |
[30:10] | You need to look at the next page, subsection B, paragraph 4. | 你得看看下一页 B款第四项 |
[30:14] | I could beat you up anytime I want, sir. | 我随时都可以打败你的 |
[30:16] | Secret Service would have you down like a calf at a rodeo. | 秘勤局会像牛仔抓牛一样 追捕你 |
[30:19] | “The definition of gift excludes opportunities and benefits… | “礼物的定义不包括 跟大部份的人民一样 |
[30:23] | …including favorable rates and commercial discounts… | 取得划算的价格 及商业折扣的 |
[30:26] | …available to the public at large. “ | 的机会跟利益” |
[30:29] | – I did look at the next page. – And? | -我的确看过下一页 -结果呢? |
[30:31] | I work next door to the Oval Office, sir. Caesar’s wife must be above reproach. | 我在椭圆形办公室旁边工作 凯撒的太太必须完全清白 |
[30:38] | Is the reason you didn’t tell me you were getting a new car, you…? | 那就是你不告诉我 你买了新车的原因 |
[30:44] | Did you think I was gonna think it was an extravagance? | 你以为我会认为那是浪费? |
[30:48] | You don’t think I think you should have a new car? | 你以为我觉得 你不该买辆新车? |
[30:51] | – Dolores, have you ever had a new car? – No. | -多洛瑞斯,你买过新车吗? -没有 |
[30:56] | Henry would go to Calvin Hilly in Concord… | 亨利会去找 在康科德的卡文希利 |
[30:59] | …and Calvin would give him a good deal on something reliable. | 卡文会给他 一个可靠的好价钱 |
[31:03] | Let me find out what you were to pay, and write a check for the difference. | 我要知道你应该付多少钱 差额就由我来负担 |
[31:06] | Oh, no. Thank you, but I’m buying this car myself. | 不,谢谢你 但我要自己买这辆车 |
[31:10] | This car is gonna feel good. | 这辆车的感觉一定很棒 |
[31:12] | – Is it a nice one? – It’s a beauty. | -它是一辆好车吗? -它非常漂亮 |
[31:14] | It’s blue. It has air conditioning. | 它是蓝色的,还有空调 |
[31:17] | I told them I can roll down the windows, but it comes with it. | 我告诉他们我可以摇下车窗 但空调是内附的 |
[31:19] | Consumer Reports rates it very high. It’s very safe. | 消费者报告对它的评价很高 它非常安全 |
[31:23] | And when you get inside, there’s this…. | 坐进车里有一股 |
[31:25] | – Smell? – How did you know? | -味道? -你怎么知道? |
[31:27] | The smell of freedom, and the chemicals they treat the dashboard with. | 自由的味道 跟仪表板的化学物质味道 |
[31:31] | – When are you picking it up? – Now. | -你什么时候要去拿车? -现在 |
[31:33] | Do me a favor. | 帮我一个忙 |
[31:34] | Come back after you pick it up. I’d like to talk to you about something. | 拿完车后回来这里 我想跟你说一件事 |
[31:37] | And put the car in the driveway. I’d like to kick the tires. | 把车子停在车道上 我想踢一踢轮胎 |
[31:40] | Why? | 为什么? |
[31:41] | It’s an expression, Fannie Mae. Go get your car. | 那是一种说法,芬妮梅 快去拿车吧 |
[31:46] | What happens is, basically, that small stones in the inner ear… | 事实上 内耳里的小结石 |
[31:49] | …which respond to gravity become dislodged… | 因为地心引力的关系 会开始移动 |
[31:52] | …and that’ll cause benign positional vertigo. | 导致良性姿势性眩晕 |
[31:55] | – You all right? – Yes, ma’am. | -你没事吧? -是的,夫人 |
[31:57] | You sure you don’t want some acetylsalicylic acid? | 你确定你不需要水杨酸? |
[32:00] | – Aspirin, my brother. – What a dumb major you had. | -那是阿斯匹灵 -你的主修太逊了 |
[32:03] | – Good evening. – Oh, Oliver. | -晚安 -奥力佛 |
[32:05] | Do you know what peripheral neuropathy indicates? | 你知道 周边神经疾病是什么吗? |
[32:08] | No, but I don’t really care that much. Sam, would you mind for a minute? | 不知道,但我真的不在乎 山姆,我们能谈一谈吗? |
[32:12] | – No. – B12 deficiency. | -当然可以 -缺乏维他命B12 |
[32:14] | – Thank you. – Sure. | -谢谢你 -别客气 |
[32:19] | – Mrs. Bartlet, I want to talk to you… – Dr. Bartlet. | -巴特勒太太,我想跟你谈谈 -巴特勒医生 |
[32:24] | When did I stop being Dr. Bartlet? | 我什么时候不再是巴特勒医生? |
[32:26] | When in the campaign did I decide… | 在选举时我什么时候决定过 |
[32:28] | …that women were gonna like me more if I called myself ” Mrs. “? | 如果我叫自己是“太太” 妇女会更喜欢我? |
[32:31] | When did I decide that women were that stupid? | 我什么时候觉得 女人有那么蠢了? |
[32:33] | Ma’am, I want you to get your own lawyer. | 夫人,我要你联络自己的律师 |
[32:36] | – I have my own lawyer. – Pat’s a family lawyer. | -我有自己的律师 -派特是家庭律师 |
[32:38] | I want you to get someone for this. I’ll give you eight names. | 我要你请别人来帮忙处理此事 我会提供你八个人选 |
[32:40] | You, Pat and the president whittle it down to three, I’ll pick the one. | 你,派特跟总统会把它缩成 三名,然后我得挑出一个人 |
[32:43] | Can we do this after the broadcast Wednesday night? | 我们能在星期三晚上 接受完专访再这么做吗? |
[32:45] | No, I want you to do it right away. I don’t think you should do the broadcast. | 不,我要你马上去做 我不认为你该做专访 |
[32:50] | – Why? – You shouldn’t answer without a lawyer. | -为什么? -律师不在场的话你不该回答问题 |
[32:52] | Sam said they’re not gonna get into issues of legality. | 山姆说 他们不会问到法律问题 |
[32:54] | I don’t know how they’re gonna avoid it. | 我不知道 他们要如何避免 |
[32:57] | Herman Vikram was the original specialist, right? | 赫曼维克兰 是他原来的医生吧? |
[32:59] | It was Vikram who put him on prednisone. | 维克兰 第一个要他服用类固醇 |
[33:02] | And then almost four years ago you put him on interferon beta-1 b. | 四年前你要他服用干扰素 |
[33:06] | – Betaseron. – Yeah. | -贝它干扰素 -对 |
[33:10] | – You did it, not Vikram. – It was in consultation with Vikram. | -是你要他那么做,不是维克兰 -我询问过维克兰 |
[33:14] | He didn’t write the prescription. | 他没有开处方笺 |
[33:15] | I thought that it would be wrong to involve another doctor. | 我想我不该 把另一个医生扯进来 |
[33:19] | So you wrote these prescriptions to yourself and had them filled where? | 于是你开了这些处方笺给自己 你到哪里拿药? |
[33:23] | The Dunwich Women’s Health Clinic. | 唐奇妇女健康诊所 |
[33:25] | – Then shipped to various locations? – It was a campaign. | -然后把它们送到不同的地点? -当时他在竞选 |
[33:27] | – One location was Phoenix. – Probably. | -其中之一是凤凰城 -或许吧 |
[33:30] | – Another was St. Louis. – Yeah. | -另一个地点是圣路易 -对 |
[33:32] | You violated the medical ethics rules of three state boards: | 你违反了三州医学委员会的 医学道德规定 |
[33:36] | New Hampshire, Arizona and Missouri. | 新罕布夏州 亚利桑纳州跟密苏里州 |
[33:40] | “The board may take disciplinary action against any person… | “医学委员会严格 反对任何人 |
[33:42] | …who has engaged in dishonest or unprofessional conduct. “ | 从事不诚实 或不专业的医疗行为” |
[33:46] | They were extraordinary circumstances, Oliver. | 当时情况特殊,奥力佛 |
[33:48] | I gave my husband excellent medical care… | 我给了我丈夫 极佳的医疗治护 |
[33:52] | …and I’ll line up tenured professors who’ll say so. | 我会找到一大堆有名的教授 帮我背书 |
[33:54] | – Did you keep medical records? – No. | -你留下了病历吗? -没有 |
[33:57] | “… or any person who has failed to maintain adequate medical records… | “或是任何人无法 留下有效的病历 |
[34:00] | …or documentation on diagnostic and therapeutic treatment. “ | 及诊断跟治疗文件” |
[34:04] | The AMA’s code of ethics pretty well spells out… | 美国医学学会的道德规范 严格禁止 |
[34:07] | …the egregiousness of treating your own family members. | 医生治疗自己的家人 |
[34:09] | We do it anyway. We write prescriptions for migraines, antibiotics… | 我们都会那么做 我们会开偏头痛的药跟抗生素 |
[34:14] | Can I ask you, as the president’s physician… | 我想问你,身为总统的医生 |
[34:16] | …have you asked him if he’s had extramarital affairs? | 你有没有问过他 他是不是有外遇? |
[34:19] | No. | 没有 |
[34:21] | Isn’t that a crucial question in the diagnosing of autoimmune diseases? | 诊断自体免疫疾病时 那不是一定要问的问题吗? |
[34:29] | I’d like to be next to my husband when he does this. | 当我丈夫这么做时 我想陪在他身边 |
[34:32] | I’d like you to get your own lawyer. | 我要你自己找个律师 |
[34:39] | – Is there anything else? – No. | -还有别的事吗? -没有了 |
[34:42] | Thank you, Dr. Bartlet. | 谢谢你,巴特勒医生 |
[35:10] | You need this? | 你需要这个吗? |
[35:14] | – I didn’t even see you there. – I haven’t seen you all day. | -我没有看到你 -我整天都没有看到你 |
[35:17] | I’ve been with, you know, tobacco. | 我一直在忙烟草公司的事 |
[35:20] | – You need this? – Yeah. | -你需要这个吗? -对 |
[35:24] | The president wants you at a meeting tonight in the residence around 9:00. | 总统要你今晚九点 到他家开会 |
[35:29] | I’ll tell you what that is, that’s the Blue Ribbon Commission on reform. | 我会告诉你那是怎么一回事 那跟蓝缎带委员会的改革有关 |
[35:33] | I’m gonna be collecting benefits… | 我得去拿点好处 |
[35:35] | …or not by the time we get this Blue Ribbon thing up. | 不然蓝缎带的事真的搞定后 我们就没得捞了 |
[35:38] | – Josh. – Yeah. | -乔西 -什么事? |
[35:44] | I’m trying… See, this is why I’ll never have a career as a… | 我一直很努力听着 所以我不可能做别的工作 |
[35:47] | – Donna, what…? – Sagittarius. | -唐娜,你到底 -射手座 |
[35:56] | – You all right? – Yeah. | -你没事吧? -是的 |
[36:00] | There’s an empty office next to the conference room. | 会议室旁边 有空的办公室 |
[36:03] | I moved two couches in, pillows and blankets. | 我搬了两张沙发进去 还有枕头跟毯子 |
[36:05] | – C.J. putting the lid on? – Right now. | -茜洁在消毒? -没错 |
[36:08] | And Leo’s ready for you now. | 里奥准备要见你 |
[36:13] | The OAS has agreed to meet in an emergency session tomorrow… | 美洲国家组织同意 明天召开紧急会议 |
[36:17] | …but we’re waiting for confirmation. | 但我们还在等确认消息 |
[36:19] | – Can you tell us what you’ll say? – Yes, but first we’ll say it to them. | -你能告诉我们你们要说什么吗? -可以,但我们得先跟他们说 |
[36:23] | A question on the Haitian casualties… | 关于海地死伤人员的问题 |
[36:25] | We’ve run out of time. We’ll pick it up tomorrow. | 我们没有时间了 明天再说吧 |
[36:27] | I’m calling a full lid. Any developments throughout the night, you’ll be paged. | 我会保持全面戒备 今晚有新进展,我会通知你们 |
[36:30] | – Thank you for your patience, everybody. – Thank you, C.J. | -谢谢大家的耐心 -谢谢你,茜洁 |
[36:34] | – Leo’s ready for you. – Thanks. | -里奥准备要见你 -谢谢 |
[36:47] | Leo, this is insane, plain and simple. | 里奥,这太疯狂,也很平淡简单 |
[36:51] | What’s insane? Oh, never mind. What isn’t? | 什么事很疯狂? 别管那么多,什么事不疯狂了? |
[36:54] | – You don’t think it’s crazy? – I don’t know what we’re talking about. | -你不觉得它很疯狂吗? -我不知道我们在说什么 |
[36:56] | We’re firming up strategy on what will define the future of this presidency… | 我们在制定 确保总统未来任期的政策 |
[37:00] | …and we don’t know if this president is interested in the future. | 我们不知道 总统对未来有没有兴趣 |
[37:04] | – We have to have a discussion tonight. – We’re having a discussion. | -今晚我们得好好讨论 -我们会讨论的 |
[37:08] | – When? – Tonight. | -什么时候? -今晚 |
[37:10] | Okay, then. | 好吧 |
[37:13] | – Good evening. – Good evening, Josh. | -晚安 -晚安,乔西 |
[37:16] | Leo, would you excuse us for a second? Toby, can I talk to you outside? | 里奥,你能不能让我们谈一下? 托比,我们能到外面谈吗? |
[37:28] | – You told Donna. – Yeah. | -你告诉唐娜了 -对 |
[37:30] | – Why didn’t you let me? – You hadn’t yet. | -你为什么不让我说? -你一直没说 |
[37:36] | How’d she take it? | 她的反应如何? |
[37:39] | If everybody out there takes it the way she did, we may be okay. | 如果大家的反应都跟她一样 我们可以平安过关 |
[37:43] | If a few more people in here took it the way she did, that’d be all right too. | 如果这里有更多的人 反应跟她一样,也会没事 |
[37:49] | – Was that for me? – That was for me. | -那是指我吗? -那是指我 |
[37:54] | Tobacco. | 烟草公司 |
[37:56] | Kalmbach’s not gonna let it come to a vote in the subcommittee… | 卡姆巴哈不会 让它在附属委员会进行投票 |
[37:58] | …which is fine, because if he did, it’d be 8-7 against. | 那是件好事,因为如果他那么做 比数会是八比七 |
[38:01] | – Party lines? – No. | -政党对立吗? -不 |
[38:03] | We have Stacy and Miner, but Warren and Rossitter are voting against. | 我们拉到史戴西跟麦纳 但华伦跟罗席特会投反对票 |
[38:08] | They have ideological problems with the case. | 他们对这个问题 太过理想化 |
[38:11] | What do you wanna do? | 你打算怎么做? |
[38:12] | Stick some dynamite up Warren and Rossitter’s ass. | 把炸药插在 华伦跟罗席特的屁股上 |
[38:14] | The problem is Rossitter sits on the Judiciary Committee… | 问题是罗席特 是司法委员会的人 |
[38:18] | …and I don’t know how many enemies on Judiciary we want to make. | 我不希望在司法委员会 树立更多的敌人 |
[38:22] | Both of you, listen. | 你们两个,听着 |
[38:24] | We’re not gonna stop, soften, detour, postpone… | 我们不会停止 软化,迂回,拖延 |
[38:28] | …circumvent, obfuscate or trade a single one of our goals… | 设计,模糊 或交换我们的法案 |
[38:33] | …to allow for whatever extracurricular nonsense… | 让这些荒谬的事 |
[38:36] | …is coming our way in the next few days, weeks and months. | 在接下来的日子里 阻碍我们往前走 |
[38:40] | When did we decide this? | 我们什么时候决定的? |
[38:45] | Just now. Light them up. | 就是现在 去做吧 |
[38:49] | – You got a recommendation for me? – 30 minutes, Wednesday, live. | -你要跟我说什么? -星期三现场做三十分钟专访 |
[38:52] | – Live-to-tape? – Live. | -是现场录影吗? -是现场 |
[38:54] | – Mural Room? – Yeah. They pick the interviewer. | -壁划室? -对,他们挑选访问者 |
[38:56] | It’s carried on all the networks and CNN. I give it to them 10 hours before. | 它会在所有联播网跟CNN播出 我会在十小时前告诉他们 |
[39:00] | Followed by a press conference. | 之后举行记者会 |
[39:01] | There isn’t another step until we know what the president’s intentions are. | 除非我们知道总统的意图 不然我们不会轻举妄动 |
[39:05] | We need a discussion, and it can’t wait another night. | 我们需要讨论 这件事无法再拖下去 |
[39:08] | – We’re having a discussion. – When? | -我们会讨论的 -什么时候? |
[39:10] | – Tonight. – Really? | -今晚 -真的? |
[39:11] | – That’s great. – Good evening. | -太棒了 -晚安 |
[39:13] | Sam, what do you know? | 山姆,你知道些什么? |
[39:16] | I know that fluid accumulating in the semicircular canals… | 我知道半规管 前庭耳蜗神经 |
[39:19] | …of the vestibulocochlear nerve is usually what’ll account for dizziness. | 累积液体 通常会导致头晕 |
[39:24] | Leo, I want to state right here, in terms so plain and clear as to command their… | 里奥,我想把话说清楚 清楚明白地告诉他们 |
[39:28] | Meeting tonight. | 今晚见 |
[39:30] | The whole country is gonna assume he’s not running when he announces. | 当他宣布这个消息时 全国都会以为他不想连任 |
[39:32] | – We’re having a meeting. – The press… | -我们要开会 -媒体 |
[39:34] | – We’re having a meeting. – Really? | -我们要开会 -真的吗? |
[39:37] | – That’s great. – Yeah. | -太棒了 -对 |
[39:44] | Why doesn’t everybody grab something to eat, be back at 9… | 为什么大家不去吃点东西 九点再回来 |
[39:48] | …and you’ll get called to come over to the residence. | 你们会被召唤到总统住所 |
[39:51] | Josh, walk out with me. | 乔西,陪我去走一走 |
[39:54] | I mean it, set one off under these guys. | 我是认真的 派人去帮一下这些家伙 |
[39:58] | How about I have C.J. make a statement at her briefing? | 我可以让茜洁 在简报时发表声明吗? |
[40:01] | A strong statement. | 一项强而有力的声明 |
[40:02] | “The president calls on Congress to fund the Justice Department tobacco lawsuit… | “总统要求国会 资助司法部烟草诉讼案 |
[40:07] | …at the levels necessary to continue this litigation. “ | 在有必要时 继续打这个官司” |
[40:10] | “The American people deserve their day in court. “ | “美国人民 需要在法庭上找回正义” |
[40:12] | “This administration won’t sit on the bench while well-fed members… | “政府不会坐视无法 让过着富足生活的 |
[40:15] | …of the Appropriations Committee choke off funding for a lawsuit… | 拨款委员会成员阻止资助 |
[40:18] | …aimed at the perpetrators of hundreds of thousands of negligent homicides… | 控告过失杀害数十万人的嫌犯 |
[40:22] | …while filling their campaign war chests. “ | 而委员会成员的荷包塞得满满的” |
[40:23] | Light them up. | 去办吧 |
[40:33] | Charlie? | 查理 |
[40:36] | Leo, there was an accident at 18th and Potomac. | 里奥,十八街跟波多马克街 出了车祸 |
[40:40] | Mrs. Landingham was driving her car back here. | 蓝丁汉太太 正要开车回这里 |
[40:43] | – What happened? – There was a drunk driver… | -发生了什么事? -有个驾驶酒后开车 |
[40:45] | …and they ran the light at 18th and Potomac. | 他们在十八街跟波多马克大道闯红灯 |
[40:48] | – They ran it at a high speed. – Charlie, is she all right? | -他们高速闯红灯 -查理,她没事吧? |
[40:53] | No. She’s dead. | 不,她死了 |
[41:16] | – Is he alone? – Yeah. | -他一个人吗? -对 |