时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | This man got in front of millions of people and screwed his wife. | 这个疯子在上百万人面前 搞他的老婆 |
[00:10] | I’m running again, Abbey. | 我要竞选连任,艾比 食品药物管理局要通过RU-486 |
[00:12] | The FDA is signing off on RU-486. | 食品药物管理局要通过RU-486 |
[00:14] | You think he apologizes and numbers go up? | 你以为他道歉 支持率就会提高? |
[00:16] | I think you brought me in because they haven’t. | 我想你要我加入 就是因为数字没上升 |
[00:19] | – What’s Toby’s problem? – What? | -托比有什么问题吗? -什么? |
[00:20] | He’s got a problem with me and I’d like to know why. | 他对我有意见 我想知道为什么 |
[00:23] | Justice Department needs $30 million for its suit against tobacco companies. | 司法部需要3千万 跟烟草公司打官司 |
[00:28] | Now I want to turn the heat up and issue a release. | 我想把这件事炒热 发布新闻稿 |
[00:30] | Leo, talk to me. I know what you’re thinking about. | 里奥跟我谈过 我知道你想要做什么 |
[00:33] | Would you say the president’s situation makes it harder for him to focus on…? | 你认为总统的状况 是否让他难以专注于? |
[00:38] | He’s relieved to focus on something that matters. | 他感到很轻松 能专注于重大事件上 |
[00:40] | – Relieved? – She was tired. | -轻松? -她累了 -茜洁没说错 -她说错了 |
[00:42] | – C.J. doesn’t misspeak. – She just did. | -茜洁没说错 -她说错了 |
[00:44] | Damn it! | 可恶! 剧名:曼彻斯特 第二部 |
[00:49] | “We’re more than a set of borders. We’re bounded by the reach of freedom. | “美国不只是一个领土 自由就是我们的边界 |
[00:53] | We have mastered every moment. We have vanquished every foe. | 我们掌控当下 我们征服了所有敌人 |
[00:57] | We are strong, we are prosperous, we are at peace with the world. | 我们强大而兴盛 与世界和平共处 |
[01:00] | We are, as we have ever been, the envy of every civilization. | 我们从过去到现在 都是世界各国嫉妒的对象 |
[01:04] | We are, as we have ever been, the hope of all mankind. | 我们从过去到现在 都是所有人类的希望 |
[01:07] | But I am not satisfied. Indeed, I am restless. | 但我仍不满足 甚至坐立难安 |
[01:10] | I come before you not to speak of the America we have…” | 我今天在此发言 并不是要告诉各位美国” |
[01:13] | – Excuse me, sir. – Yeah? | -抱歉,长官 -什么事? |
[01:15] | – We’re the envy of every civilization? – Yeah. | -“都是世界各国嫉妒的对象”? -如何? |
[01:20] | – Really? – They don’t vote in England, Toby. | -真的吗? -英国人不能投票,托比 |
[01:23] | – They do, actually. – He meant that they don’t… | -他们会投票 -他的意思是,他们不 |
[01:25] | – We know what he meant. – I’ll change it, sir. | -我们知道他是什么意思 -我会修改,长官 |
[01:28] | Somebody stick some pom-poms in his hand. | 何不给他啦啦队的彩球算了 |
[01:31] | “But I am not satisfied. Indeed, I am restless. | “但我仍不满意 甚至坐立难安 |
[01:33] | I come here not to speak of the America we have… | 我今天在此发言 并不是要告诉各位美国有多好 |
[01:35] | …but of the better, stronger, more prosperous America we can create.” | 而是要建立一个 更好、更强大、更繁荣的美国” |
[01:40] | – There’s a snake. – What kind? | -有一只蛇 -哪一种蛇? 我不知道,我也不想问他 麻烦找个人把他射死好吗? |
[01:41] | I don’t know and I don’t wanna ask him. Can somebody shoot it, please? | 我不知道,我也不想问他 麻烦找个人把他射死好吗? |
[01:45] | – Probably a garter snake. – It’s a garter snake, don’t worry about it. | -可能是束带蛇 -是束带蛇,别担心 |
[01:49] | “I seek re-election to the presidency, not because of its glories… | “我寻求总统连任 并不是为了光荣 |
[01:52] | …but its challenges.” | 而是接受挑战” -我有问题 -我写的 |
[01:53] | – And I have a problem here. – I wrote that. | -我有问题 -我写的 |
[01:56] | I’m happy for you.”Its challenges”… | 很高兴是你写的 “接受挑战” |
[01:58] | …sounds like you’re overwhelmed. This is exactly the wrong time for that. | 听起来好像你招架不住了 这种时候决不能这么做 |
[02:02] | No, it’s exactly the right time to raise the stakes of the election. | 不,现在正是 提高选战士气的好时机 |
[02:06] | – Why? – If it’s a day at the beach… | -为什么? -如果今天是太平盛世 |
[02:07] | …any bozo with a handshake can do it. | 任何会握手的白痴都能选上 |
[02:09] | Sorry, America wants a happy warrior to lead the country, not Dr. Kevorkian. | 抱歉,美国需要快乐的战士 领导这个国家,不是安乐死医师 |
[02:14] | It’s true, sir, America does not want Dr. Kevorkian to lead the country. | 没错,长官 美国不需要安乐死医师来治国 |
[02:18] | We’ve got polling data on that. | 我们的民调数据支持那一点 |
[02:20] | – All right, we’ll revisit it. – The snake is looking at me now. | -好吧,我们再修改 -那只蛇正看着我 |
[02:23] | “A candidate owes his campaign no less than he owes his country: | “候选人对选战的责任 不比对国家的责任少 |
[02:27] | Everything he has, everything he can give, all his…” | 他所拥有的一切 他所能给与的一切,他” |
[02:30] | – Again, I’m sorry, sir. – Yeah? | -抱歉,长官 -什么事? |
[02:32] | I’m not wild about your campaign and country. | 我不太喜欢选战与国家那句话 |
[02:34] | – No, that’s okay. – People don’t hear that well. | -没关系 -人们会误会 |
[02:37] | The people there hear fine. | 他们不会误会 |
[02:39] | He doesn’t mean people don’t hear well, he means hear”that” well. I disagree. | 他不是指人们会误会 他是指人们会迷惑,但我不同意 |
[02:43] | I see the snake now too. | 我也看到那条蛇了 你有权宣布你是 |
[02:45] | You’re entitled to declare yourself the leader… | 你有权宣布你是 |
[02:47] | …of the campaign and country since you are. | 选战与国家的领导人 因为你就是 |
[02:50] | Except if it’s him and not the voters, it points the pundits toward the MS. | 但如果选战领导是他,不是选民 学者专家会拿硬化症做文章 |
[02:54] | I think the cat’s out of the bag on the MS. | 我想关于硬化症的事 已经泄漏出去了 |
[02:56] | Does somebody here have MS and they haven’t said anything? | 这里有人罹患硬化症 还没有说出来的吗? |
[02:59] | Seriously, that’s a pretty big snake. | 说真的,那真是条大蛇 |
[03:01] | “I am not satisfied.” Indeed, I am close to taking my life with a wheat thresher. | “我仍不满意”这句话,说真的 我真想把自己塞进打谷机里 |
[03:07] | – Bruno? – Yeah, listen up. I’ve been thinking. | -布鲁诺? -听着,我一直在想 |
[03:10] | It might not be such a bad idea for me to lock you all in here… | 这也许是个好主意 把你们全锁在这儿 |
[03:14] | …and set the place on fire. | 然后放火把这里烧掉 |
[03:17] | We have 48 hours before we kick off this campaign. We will work hard… | 我们还有48小时就要展开竞选 我们会努力 |
[03:22] | …we will work well, and we will work together… | 我们会尽力 而且我们要团结 |
[03:25] | …or so help me, Mother of God… | 圣母玛莉亚,请帮助我 |
[03:27] | …I will stick a pitchfork so far up your asses you will, quite simply, be dead. | 让我用草耙塞进你的屁眼 就这么简单,让你上西天 |
[03:37] | “And so, with pride and purpose, I hereby announce my candidacy… | “我满怀信心与目标 在此宣布我将竞选 |
[03:41] | …for the presidency of the United States.” | 下一任美国总统” 片名:白宫风云 演出:罗伯洛 演出:施塔科钱宁 演出:杜希尔 演出:艾莉森詹尼 演出:珍妮尔摩隆奈 演出:里察薛福 演出:约翰史宾塞 演出:布雷迪威佛德 演出:马丁辛 片名:白宫风云 4周前 |
[04:43] | Jed? | 杰德? |
[04:48] | – I didn’t see you there. – Yeah. | -我没看到你 -是啊 |
[04:50] | – I didn’t see you. – What’s going on? | -我没看到你 -怎么了? |
[04:52] | Peter thinks sanctions are a waste of time, I agree. | 彼得认为军事制裁只是浪费时间 我同意 |
[04:55] | In about a half-hour, we’re buzzing the island with… | 再过大约半小时 我们就要在那个小岛上 |
[04:58] | …what they call an alpha-strike formation to show Bazan… . | 采取那个叫做什么 基本军事低空侦查给巴山看 |
[05:02] | Will it work? | 有效吗? |
[05:04] | – Jed? – Yeah? | -杰德? -什么事? |
[05:06] | I said, will it work? | 我说,有效吗? |
[05:10] | Sorry, I said I don’t know. We’ll see. | 抱歉,我说我不知道,再看看 |
[05:13] | C.J. got beaten up pretty good in the briefing room. | 茜洁在简报室里 被攻击得很惨 |
[05:15] | Yeah, that was bound to happen. | 那是一定的 |
[05:17] | Maybe you wanna think about sitting her down for a few days. | 也许你该让她休息几天 |
[05:21] | – Jed? – Yeah? | -杰德? -什么事? |
[05:23] | I said, maybe you want to think about benching C.J. for a few days. | 我说 也许你该让茜洁休息几天 |
[05:28] | – Yeah. – At least on Haiti. | -是啊 -至少在海地的事情上 |
[05:32] | Well, that’s Leo’s call. | 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 那由里奥决定 |
[05:33] | Send in Nancy or Peter or someone from State? | 那由里奥决定 制片:亚力克葛拉夫斯 派南西或彼得 或国务院的人去澄清? |
[05:37] | – That way the stories don’t get mixed up. – Yeah, that’s Leo’s call. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 -这样才不会把事情搞乱 -是啊,那由里奥决定 |
[05:41] | Look, I’m sorry, I can’t get into our thing tonight. | 听着,我很抱歉 今晚不能谈我们的事 |
[05:44] | Two days ago, you said you had a lot to say. | 2天前 你说你有很多话要说 |
[05:46] | I do, that’s why I can’t get into it. I have to read. | 是啊,所以今晚还不能说 我得读些资料 |
[05:50] | That’s all right. | 没关系 |
[05:52] | All right, I’m going in the study. | 好吧,我去书房了 |
[05:55] | Okay. | 好 |
[05:57] | Abbey, you were lying down when I came in, I didn’t see you. | 制片:李维林威尔斯 艾比,我进来时你是躺着的 所以我没看到你 |
[06:00] | I believe you. | 我相信你 编剧:艾伦索金 导演:汤玛斯史兰姆 (巴特勒家族农场) |
[06:16] | – He has to sell the greatness of America. – Why? | -他必须发扬美国的光荣 -为什么? |
[06:20] | It’s an implicit argument to stay the course. | 坚守立场会引来争执 |
[06:22] | – We’re selling the greatness. – Not enough. | -我们是在发扬美国的光荣啊 -还不够 |
[06:24] | We’re selling it in paragraphs 1, 2, 8, 16, 26 and 34. | 我们在第1、2、8、16 26跟34段都有提到这一点 |
[06:27] | Listen, it’s a simple equation: Bartlet rules America… | 听着,这是个简单的等式 巴特勒治理美国 |
[06:31] | …America rocks, therefore Bartlet rocks. | 美国最�牛�所以巴特勒也最�� |
[06:33] | -“America rocks”? -“Bartlet rocks”? | -“美国最�拧保� -“巴特勒也最�拧保� |
[06:36] | – Yes. – He really doesn’t that much. | -对 -他其实没那么�� |
[06:38] | – Leo, can I see you for a second? – Yeah. | -里奥,可以跟你说句话吗? -请 |
[06:43] | – RU-486. – There’s nothing we can do. | -我们什么也不能做 |
[06:45] | The last thing we need is to come out of the gate… | 我们现在最不需要的 就是站在大门口 |
[06:48] | …waving a flag to the heartland, saying,”We don’t share your values.” | 向主流挥舞着旗帜 说“我们不鸟你的价值观” |
[06:52] | The president understands all that. | 总统完全了解 |
[06:54] | – And? – That’s the way it goes. | -所以呢? -我们现在就是这么做 |
[06:57] | The FDA’s an independent agency. They can announce when they want. | 食品药物管理局是独立机构 他们可以自己决定何时公布 |
[07:00] | The FDA’s a division of HHS and technically, not an independent agency. | 食品药物管理局是卫生署的分支 技术上来说,并不是独立机构 |
[07:05] | I can keep him away from this, call the chief of staff. | 我可以帮他解决这件事 联络人事主任 |
[07:08] | – I got him his job, they can wait… – No. | -他欠我人情,他们可以等 -不行 |
[07:10] | …two weeks to announce the drug, not on Monday. | 2周后再宣布解禁 只是不要在周一 |
[07:13] | – I can fix tobacco. – Tobacco? | -我可以解决烟草的事 -烟草? |
[07:16] | No, I meant 486. | 不,我是说RU-486 |
[07:19] | Leave the FDA alone. | 别管食品药物管理局 |
[07:31] | Morning. | 早安 |
[07:33] | – Hey, C.J. – You just get in? | -茜洁 -你刚进来? |
[07:35] | – A few hours ago. – Ellie and Zoey are here? | -几小时前 -艾莉跟柔依来了吗? |
[07:37] | Yeah. Liz will be here. They’re going for a hike if you wanna join them. | 对,丽兹也会过来 他们要去散步,你也可以去 |
[07:41] | No, I can’t, but I did want to talk to you about a photo-op. | 不了,不过我有话跟你说 关于新闻照片的事 |
[07:44] | – Would you like some cider? – No, I’m fine. | -你要不要苹果汁? -不了,谢谢 |
[07:47] | We grow the apples down the hill, it’s good. | 我们在山坡上种苹果 很好喝 |
[07:49] | Okay. So at any rate… | 好吧,不管怎么说 |
[07:51] | – A photo-op. – Yes. | -新闻照片 -对 |
[07:52] | My husband and I together. With the kids. | 我丈夫跟我 还有孩子们 |
[07:55] | Because my husband and I came to the house separately. | 因为我跟我丈夫分别回去 |
[07:58] | There were photos of him getting on the plane alone. | 有张照片是他单独上飞机 |
[08:01] | Ma’am, this is uncomfortable territory, and obviously, I’d… . | 夫人,讨论这件事并不舒服 而且很明显地 |
[08:06] | The press has sources that say you and the president… | 媒体有来源指出 你跟总统 |
[08:08] | – Do they have names? – I’m sorry? | -他们有名字吗? -什么? |
[08:10] | – The sources. – No, they’re… | -消息来源 -不,他们是 |
[08:11] | Unnamed sources. | 匿名来源 |
[08:13] | C.J., unnamed sources make me crazy. | 茜洁,匿名来源让我抓狂 |
[08:16] | Just one time, I’d like to see, instead of “according to unnamed sources”… | 我真希望再也不用看到 “根据匿名消息来源” |
[08:20] | …I’d like to see”according to tweaky, little ill-informed, chicken-ass wannabe…” | 我倒想看“根据一位心理不正常 病态、想成名的懦夫” |
[08:31] | Don’t ever come to me again with unnamed sources, C.J. | 不准再拿匿名来源来烦我 茜洁 |
[08:34] | You don’t get any cider. | 你没苹果汁喝了 |
[08:37] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的,夫人 |
[08:45] | I spoke to the first lady before. | 我刚刚跟第一夫人谈过 |
[08:48] | I thought it might not be a bad idea… | 我想这也许是个好主意 |
[08:50] | …if there were some opportunities with them together at the house. | 如果能让他们两个 同时出现在白宫 |
[08:54] | – What was her reaction? – Well, she denied me cider. | -她的反应如何? -她不给我喝苹果汁 |
[08:56] | – What else? – I’ll brief the Sunday papers… | -还有呢? -我会在周日的报纸上 |
[08:59] | …on what they can expect from the speech. | 公开讲稿的重点 |
[09:01] | – It’s not written yet. – I’m just giving highlights. | -可是讲稿还没写好 -我只会给他们重点 |
[09:03] | – What highlights? – I’m making them up. | -什么重点? -我会编出来 |
[09:06] | I thought maybe you could speak to her. | 我希望你可以跟她谈谈 |
[09:08] | – Who? – The first lady. | -谁? -第一夫人 |
[09:09] | Every paper had a picture on the front page… | 每家报纸都在头版刊登 |
[09:12] | …of the president going home by himself. | 总统独自回家的照片 |
[09:14] | – It’s a Saturday paper. – There are questions… | -那是周日报纸 -有人会问 |
[09:16] | We’re two private men, C.J., we don’t talk about our marriages. | 我们是重隐私的男人,茜洁 我们不谈婚姻 |
[09:20] | What do you want from me? | 你还要怎样? |
[09:24] | I’m not wild about the fact you told Toby what we discussed. | 你跟托比谈我们讨论的事 我很不高兴 |
[09:27] | He’s the communications director, you don’t think he should know? | 他是通讯部主任 你不认为他应该知道吗? |
[09:30] | When I think it’s time, I will tell anyone working for me anything I damn please. | 时候到了,只要我高兴 我会告诉任何人该知道的事 |
[09:36] | You know what, C.J.? Stop being pissed at me about Haiti. | 你知道吗,茜洁? 别再拿海地的事找我出气 |
[09:45] | Yeah, okay. | 好吧 |
[09:50] | -It’s a surrender. -It’s not a surrender if he has demands. | -他投降了 -如果他提条件,就不是投降 |
[09:53] | -It’s as close as we come these days. -What does he want? | -这是我们目前所能做的进度 -他想要什么? |
[09:56] | Ten million dollars, U.S., a private plane… | 1千万美金,1架私人飞机 |
[10:00] | … and a guarantee he won ‘t be prosecuted for war crimes. | 还有保证 他不会因发动战争被起诉 |
[10:03] | What else? | 还有呢? |
[10:05] | Asylum for himself and 60 of his family members. | 庇护他跟60名家族成员 |
[10:07] | – Where? – Here. | -哪里? -这里 |
[10:09] | That’s a bit of a dilemma. | 那真是两难 |
[10:10] | Does anybody have room at their place for Bazan and 60 of his relatives? | 这里有谁能提供巴山 跟他60名亲杯的庇护所? |
[10:14] | Any amnesty conditions could be in violation of Hague treaties. | 实行大赦会违反海牙条约 |
[10:17] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[10:19] | Do we want to say anyone can stage a coup and walk away if it doesn’t work? | 我们希望让大家以为 政变失败也可以一走了之吗? |
[10:23] | And with 10 million dollars and a private plane? | 而且还能拿到1千万美金 跟私人飞机? |
[10:26] | A shootout in the palace is the worst outcome… | 对皇宫发动攻击 是最糟糕的结果 |
[10:29] | …Bazan’s full surrender is the best, and that’s what we’ve got on the table. | 巴山完全投降最好 这也是台面上的动作 |
[10:33] | I want to end this peacefully, right now. Nancy, what do you think of Venezuela? | 我要这件事马上和平落幕 南西,委内瑞拉情形如何? |
[10:37] | Venezuela wants to be a resource for supplying Strategic Petroleum Reserves. | 委内瑞拉愿意提供国家储油 |
[10:41] | Tell them I’ll give the SPR strong consideration. | 告诉他们 我会考虑采用国家储油 |
[10:44] | Mike, have the Canadians get a message through. | 麦克,让加拿大传话出去 |
[10:46] | We’ll unfreeze his U.S. accounts, but he can’t remove money from Haiti. | 我们会解冻他的美国帐户 但他不能把钱提出海地 |
[10:50] | Only his wife, his children and his parents can seek asylum. | 只有他妻子、小孩 还有父母可以寻求庇护 |
[10:54] | If he tries to go back, he’ll be under arrest. | 如果他偷偷回国 就会被逮捕 |
[10:56] | He can screw a private plane, he’ll fly on a C-9 from Port-au-Prince to Caracas… | 他会得到一架飞机,坐C9军机 从太子港飞到卡拉卡斯 |
[11:00] | …and if he’s very good, we won’t shoot him in the head on the way. | 如果他表现不错 我们就不会在路上枪杀他 |
[11:04] | – Tell me when it’s done. – Yes, sir. | -事情办好后告诉我 -是的,长官 |
[11:06] | – Thank you, Mr. President. – Thank you, sir. | -谢谢你,总统先生 -谢谢,长官 |
[11:11] | – Nancy? – Yeah? | -南西? -什么事? |
[11:13] | Let me talk to you a second. | 我有话跟你说 |
[11:21] | When this is a done deal, I want you to stick around and brief the press. | 当这件事说定后 我要你留下来跟媒体做简报 |
[11:24] | – She made a mistake. – I’m not punishing her. | -茜洁只是说错话了 -我不是在处罚她 |
[11:27] | – She made… – I’m not punishing her. | -她说错 -我不是在处罚她 |
[11:29] | You’re not the face of this administration… | 你不属于我们行政人员 |
[11:31] | …you had no part of the MS thing, and you won’t be asked questions about it. | 你跟多重性硬化症的事无关 媒体不会问你那些事 |
[11:35] | I don’t feel right about this. | 我觉得这样做不对 |
[11:37] | I don’t care. | 我不管 |
[11:47] | – Can I talk to him? – He’s on his way up from the Sit Room. | -我可以跟他谈吗? -他正要去休息室 |
[11:50] | Good news about Haiti. | 海地有好消息了 |
[11:52] | We should’ve gone in with four tank divisions and turned it into a casino. | 我们应该派4队装甲师入侵 把那里变成赌城 |
[11:57] | – Manifest destiny. – Bet your ass. | -领土扩张政策 -说得没错 |
[12:01] | – You got a second? – Yeah. | -你有时间吗? -说吧 |
[12:04] | – So I wanted to apologize about before. – Don’t worry about it. | -我想为先前的事道歉 -别放在心上 |
[12:09] | – You know what I’m talking about, right? – Yeah. | -你知道我在说什么吧? -知道 |
[12:12] | So I wanted to make you aware of something. | 我希望你知道一件事 |
[12:15] | I looked through the transcript a couple times and he never apologized. | 我看过讲稿好几次了 他从来没道过歉 |
[12:18] | – What do you mean? – In the interview. | -什么意思? -在访谈中 |
[12:20] | It’s something we’ll get hung with later. | 这会给我们很多麻烦 |
[12:22] | Wait a few weeks, see what happens with numbers and take another look. | 先观察几周,看看数字变化 再研究一次 |
[12:26] | – Yeah. – Anything else? | -好 -还有事吗? |
[12:27] | – He wanted a private plane? – You believe it? | -他想要一架私人飞机? -你相信吗? |
[12:33] | State Department suggests we praise the French government… | 国务院建议我们 感谢一下法国政府 |
[12:36] | …for their help in resolving this matter. | 帮助我们解决这件事 |
[12:38] | I would, but I’m worried they’d surrender. | 我会的 但是我担心他们会投降 |
[12:40] | You did well, Mr. President. | 你做得很好,总统先生 |
[12:42] | – When do you think C.J. can brief? – Nancy’s gonna brief. | -你认为茜洁何时可以简报? -南西会去简报 |
[12:45] | – Yeah? – Don’t worry about it. | -是吗? -不用担心 |
[12:48] | You did well. | 你做得很好 |
[13:07] | We haven’t picked up any ground in lowa, Kansas, Arkansas and Illinois. | 我们在爱荷华、堪萨斯、阿肯色 跟伊利诺都没有起色 |
[13:11] | It’s only been a week. | 才过一个礼拜 |
[13:12] | Yeah, but we struck the agricultural trade deal with Argentina. | 才过一个礼拜 但是我们跟阿根廷 订了农产品贸易条约 |
[13:16] | Farm country ought to love that. | 农业国家应该会很高兴 |
[13:17] | Well, that story got a little drowned out. | 农业国家应该会很高兴 那件事已经没有新闻价值了 |
[13:20] | Yes, it did. | 没错 |
[13:22] | I could stand on the Sears Tower with a Stratocaster, and it’d be drowned out. | 没错 就算我拿着电吉他站在顶楼 也没有新闻价值 |
[13:27] | – I’m not assigning blame. – Really? | -我不是在谴责 -真的吗? |
[13:29] | Yes. We need help. | -我不是在谴责 -真的吗? 真的,我们需要帮助 |
[13:30] | – I’m bringing in Bruno Gianelli. – It’s too early for him. | 真的,我们需要帮助 -我要邀请布鲁诺贾纳利加入 -现在还太早了 |
[13:33] | – No. – Toby, Sam and Josh aren’t gonna like it. | -不会 -托比、山姆跟乔西会不高兴 |
[13:38] | They’ll have to live with it. | 他们必须接受事实 |
[13:49] | “I say to you today, ‘I love this country. ‘ | “我向各位宣布,我爱这个国家 |
[13:52] | And I will make sure our military continues to be the best-trained… | 并且,我将确保我们的部队 会是世上最精良的 |
[13:56] | …best-equipped, best-led fighting force in the world.” | 设备最先进、最整齐划一的 作战部队” |
[13:59] | – Oh, God. – I think Sam wants this one. | -天哪 -我想山姆爱死这篇文章了 |
[14:01] | If you wanna substitute testosterone for foreign policy… | -天哪 -我想山姆爱死这篇文章了 如果你想用肾上腺素 来代替外交政策 |
[14:04] | …have the president challenge the crowd to an arm wrestle. | 让总统跟群众比腕力斗狠 |
[14:08] | The foreign-policy section was long. | 外交政策的章节太长了 |
[14:10] | And there are no votes in foreign policy. | 外交政策的章节太长了 而且外交政策不能吸引选票 |
[14:12] | It’s 98 percent of the world population and three-quarters of the job. | 外交政策事关98%的世界人口 总统四分之三的工作跟它有关 |
[14:16] | That thinking makes us the envy of every civilization. | 这种想法让我们成为 各国嫉妒的对象 |
[14:19] | – Scrap this. – I have a problem here. | -把这段去掉 -我有问题 |
[14:21] | Where? | -把这段去掉 -我有问题 哪里? |
[14:23] | “It isn’t about the disease God gave me, but the chances God gave our country.” | 哪里? “硬化症不是上天给我的疾病 而是上天给这个国家的机会” |
[14:27] | – You’re going back to what failed. – What’s that? | -你在使用过去失败的宣传方法 -什么意思? |
[14:30] | All MS, all the time. | 不断提到硬化症 |
[14:31] | Damage control needed to be done. | 不断提到硬化症 我们必须做一些弥补错误 |
[14:33] | You couldn’t stop educating the public. Nothing makes you happier. | 我们必须做一些弥补错误 你们一直在教育民众 这样你们最高兴 |
[14:37] | A month ago, 74 percent of them thought MS was fatal. | 一个月前 74%的人以为硬化症会致命 |
[14:40] | And every time you told them it wasn’t, there was a story about MS! | 每次你告诉人们这件事 就会跑出关于硬化症的故事! |
[14:44] | – Just change the subject! – Why the hell didn’t I think of that? | -快把主题改掉! -我为什么没想到? |
[14:47] | I don’t know, Toby, but if you had, I probably wouldn’t be here! | 我不知道,托比,但如果你改了 我就不会在这里了! |
[15:02] | – Hello. – Yes? | -你好 -什么事? |
[15:04] | I’m Bruno Gianelli. | -你好 -什么事? 我是布鲁诺贾纳利 |
[15:07] | Yes? | 什么事? |
[15:09] | I have an appointment. | 我有预约 |
[15:22] | Who’s Bruno Gianelli? | 谁是布鲁诺贾纳利? |
[15:24] | – A strategist. – Really? | -策略家 -真的? |
[15:26] | He got five senators elected, three governors. | 他帮5位参议员、3位州长 竞选成功 |
[15:29] | He got Hacket elected where they haven’t elected a Democrat in 46 years. | 在46年没选过民主党员的州 他帮哈克特选上 |
[15:33] | He got the prime minister of Israel elected. | 他帮以色列总理选上 |
[15:36] | And it’s entirely possible he’s never voted in his life. | 他从不投票这件事 极有可能是真的 |
[15:38] | He’s here. | 他来了 |
[15:40] | – Why didn’t you send him in? – No appointment. | 他来了 -你为什么不让他进来? -他没有预约 |
[15:42] | – I did it. – You did it yourself? | -我约的 -你自己约? |
[15:45] | – Yes. – And you’re not supposed to do that. | -对 -你不应该这么做的 |
[15:48] | Bruno. | 布鲁诺 |
[15:54] | You guys can find more ways to blow it… . | 你们还真会把事情搞砸 |
[15:56] | – We might be running out. – No, I don’t think so. | -我们快走投无路了 -我不认为 |
[16:00] | Why didn’t you call before the announcement? | 为什么不在宣布竞选前联络我? |
[16:02] | – What would you have done? – Tell him not to make it. | -你会怎么做? -叫他不要宣布 |
[16:05] | – That’d be concealing the truth. – Oh, would it, now? | -那就是隐瞒真相 -是这样子吗? |
[16:09] | Can you help us? | 你可以帮助我们吗? |
[16:12] | I need to see your internals. | 我需要见你的内部人员 |
[16:14] | Joey Lucas has been polling every day for months. | 我需要见你的内部人员 乔伊路卡斯几个月来 每天都在做民调 |
[16:16] | – The girl? – Yeah. | -那个女孩? -怎样 |
[16:19] | Worked with her in California, she’s good. | 我跟她在加州共事过 她很厉害 |
[16:23] | What do you want? | 你需要什么? |
[16:24] | Fifteen percent of the ad buys. You’re gonna say 10. | 你需要什么? 15%的广告曝光率 你会说10% |
[16:29] | So why don’t we just say 13. | 那我们就说13吧 |
[16:32] | – Why don’t we say 12. – Why don’t we say 13. | -为何不说12? -为何不说13? |
[16:36] | I want hiring and firing prerogatives in my department. | 我在我的部门内 要有人员雇用与开除的特权 |
[16:39] | For starters, I’m bringing in Doug Wegland and Connie Tate. | 一开始我会让道格威格兰 跟康妮泰德加入 |
[16:43] | A room at the Hay-Adams and a car and a driver. | 我需要一间五星级旅馆房间 一辆车跟一个司机 |
[16:45] | Fine. | 好 |
[16:48] | – And unfettered access to the president. – No. | -还有与总统自由会面的管道 -不行 |
[16:51] | – I need it. – Can’t have it. | -我需要 -恕难提供 |
[16:53] | Leo, the only races I’ve ever lost are ones where the candidate didn’t listen… | 里奥,我唯一输过的选战 是因为候选人不听我的话 |
[16:57] | …or the advice didn’t get through. | 或他没听到我的建议 |
[17:00] | – That isn’t gonna happen this time. – Can’t do it. | -我不会让这种事发生 -办不到 |
[17:02] | This is ego, you know it as well as I do. | 这是自尊心作祟,你我心知肚明 |
[17:05] | I take this request to the president, tell him it’s a deal-breaker, he’ll say yes. | 我向总统提出要求 告诉他不然免谈,他会说没问题 |
[17:10] | Knock yourself out. Margaret? | 随便你,玛格丽特? |
[17:14] | Would you take Mr. Gianelli into the Oval Office, please? | 麻烦你带贾纳利先生 去椭圆办公室,好吗? |
[17:16] | – Sure. – Are you playing with me? | -好的 -你在跟我玩游戏吗? |
[17:20] | Mr. Gianelli, would you follow me? | 贾纳利先生,请跟我来 |
[17:23] | Sure thing. | 好的 |
[17:33] | – Bruno. – Good morning, Mr. President. | -布鲁诺 -早安,总统先生 |
[17:35] | I understand you’re gonna be working with us. | -布鲁诺 -早安,总统先生 我知道你将跟我们共事 |
[17:37] | Obviously, I’m pleased to be approached. | 我很高兴有人找我 |
[17:39] | – I believe there is a great deal I can do. – You have one or two demands. | -我相信我能帮上大忙 -你有一两项条件 |
[17:44] | Yes, sir. | 是的,长官 |
[17:48] | You want 12 percent of the ad buys. | 你想要12%的广告曝光率 |
[17:54] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[17:56] | Twelve. And… | 好吧 那就12%,还有 |
[17:58] | A room, a car and a driver, that’s no problem. | 那就12%,还有 一个房间,一辆车跟司机 没问题 |
[18:00] | Well, thank you, sir. | 谢谢你,长官 |
[18:02] | – I’ll also need unfettered access to you. – No. | 谢谢你,长官 -我还需要与您会面的自由管道 -不行 |
[18:05] | – Sir… – I’m sorry, Bruno, Leo runs the show. | -长官 -很抱歉,布鲁诺,里奥是主导 |
[18:09] | – Respectfully, sir… – It’s a deal-breaker. | -恕我冒犯,长官 -不然免谈 |
[18:17] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[18:21] | Anyone else I have to field things through? | 还有什么人可以帮我传话? |
[18:28] | I was sorry to hear about Dolores Landingham. | 我对桃乐丝蓝丁汉太太的事 感到遗憾 |
[18:33] | Can you help us out? | 你可以帮助我们吗? |
[18:35] | Yes, sir. | 是的,长官 |
[18:42] | Do I need to explain rules on making appointments again? Are you confused? | 需要我向您解释预约方式吗? 您不了解吗? |
[18:46] | – Get out. – I’ll jot them down. | -滚开 -我会记下来 |
[18:51] | How’d it go? | 事情怎样? |
[18:53] | – Shut up. – What’s first? | -闭嘴 -先做什么? |
[18:56] | – We get together in a room. – After that? | -在房间一起讨论 -然后呢? |
[18:58] | – An event. – How’s two weeks from Monday? | -造势大会 -两个礼拜后的周一如何? |
[19:01] | – Is that the soonest we can do it? – Yeah. | -那是最快的时间吗? -对 |
[19:03] | We’ll scout locations in New Hampshire. Maybe a high school. | 我们先在新罕布夏找场所 也许是一间高中 |
[19:32] | – Sam. – Yeah? | -山姆 -什么事? |
[19:34] | “Columbia, Gem of the Ocean”? Is he christening a minesweeper? | -山姆 -什么事? “哥伦比亚,海洋中的宝石”? 他在帮扫雷舰命名吗? |
[19:38] | Columbia High School marching band gets to play their song. | 哥伦比亚高中的管乐队 要演奏这首校歌 |
[19:41] | We had to negotiate with the band? | 我们要跟管乐队谈判? |
[19:43] | They’ll be live on four networks. They’ll play what we want. | 这会在4家电视台实况转播 他们只能吹我们要听的 |
[19:46] | – Bruno! – Hey. How you doing? | -布鲁诺! -你好吗? |
[19:48] | Whose throat do I shove these down, whose skull do I crack with this sign? | 我可以用这个看板 砸破谁的头? |
[19:53] | -“Bartlet for president.” – We’ll get rid of them. | -“巴特勒当总统” -我们会把它丢掉 |
[19:55] | I was there when he won. I saw him get sworn in. I rode in the limo. | 他获胜时我也在场 我看他宣誓,我跟他进礼车 |
[19:59] | Write me a speech, would you? | 帮我写篇讲稿,好吗? |
[20:00] | One that doesn’t make me think I’m sitting shiva… | 帮我写篇讲稿,好吗? 不要让我觉得 好像坐在沼泽地 |
[20:03] | …black curtains on the mirrors. | 要像镜子上的黑色布幕 |
[20:12] | We’ll use this as the greenroom. | 我们会把这里当成休息室 |
[20:14] | He can walk out the door and up on stage. | 我们会把这里当成休息室 他可以从这里走到门口 然后走上舞台 |
[20:16] | What’s this room usually used for? | 这间房间本来是什么? |
[20:18] | I don’t know. Desks, a blackboard. Could be some kind of classroom. | 我不知道,有桌子有黑板 可能是间教室 |
[20:22] | – C.J. – Yeah? | -茜洁 -什么事? |
[20:24] | – What’s going on? – What do you mean? | -怎么了? -什么意思? |
[20:27] | – Nothing. – You sure? | -我没事 -你确定? |
[20:29] | Yeah. What’s going on with RU-486? | -我没事 -你确定? RU-486的事办得如何? |
[20:33] | Leo won’t let me wave off the FDA. | 里奥不让我联络食品药物管理局 |
[20:36] | It’s against the law. | 那是违法的 |
[20:39] | I’m not talking about sticking up a fruit stand. | 我又不是要恐吓人家 |
[20:42] | It’s a phone call. A favor from a friend. | 只是打通电话,讨个人情债 |
[20:46] | I know the chief of staff for the subcommittee, I got him his job. | 我认识顾问团的人事主任 我帮他找到工作的 |
[20:51] | You mean the FDA? | 你说食品药物管理局? |
[20:55] | This is the second time this weekend I’ve done that. | 这是我这个礼拜内 第二次这么做了 |
[20:58] | Hey, see this? | 看到没? |
[21:00] | This is why I didn’t want to do an announcement. | 这就是为什么我不公开宣布竞选 |
[21:06] | – We’re taking care of it. – No, I’m taking care of it. | (巴特勒当总统) -我们会处理 -不,我会处理 |
[21:10] | I want to say for the 18th time that we shouldn’t do an announcement event. | 让我再说第18次 我们不应该办宣布竞选大会 |
[21:15] | If he’s gonna run for re-election, he’s gotta announce it. | 如果他要竞选连任 他就必须宣布 |
[21:18] | He did that two weeks ago. | 他2周前就宣布了 |
[21:20] | He’s not gaining enough ground, which means he’s bleeding. | 他2周前就宣布了 他的地方支持度不够 代表他正失去优势 |
[21:23] | If we put him up like any candidate, we trade away our one big advantage. | 如果我们把他当成一般候选人 就会失去最大的优势 |
[21:26] | – What? – He’s the president already. | -是什么? -他已经是总统了 |
[21:28] | Signing executive orders and decorating the tree isn’t gonna do it. | 签签行政命令,装饰树木 是不会有效果的 |
[21:32] | Fellas, I’m getting old over here. This subject was closed on Tuesday. | 各位,我快无聊死了 这个主题已经在周二定案 |
[21:36] | He’s gotta stand up, he’s gotta declare, and he’s gotta apologize. | 他必须站出来,宣布竞选 还要道歉 |
[21:39] | – He won’t apologize. – Why? | -他不会道歉 -为什么? |
[21:41] | – For what? – For your campaign perpetrating a fraud. | -他不会道歉 -为什么? -为什么? -因为你们的选战是一场骗局 |
[21:46] | I’m from Oregon. We like to see a man say he’s sorry. Where are you from? | 我来自奥瑞冈,在那里我们喜欢看到 有人愿意道歉,你们从哪来的? |
[21:50] | Me? I’m from the United States of Suck My… | 我?我来自美国的 去你 |
[21:52] | All right. | 够了 |
[21:59] | Let’s take lunch. | 我们去吃午餐吧 |
[22:01] | Republicans talk about how arrogant you guys are. | 共和党员说你们有多自负 |
[22:04] | I thought it was the reaction to not getting the girl. | 我以为 那只是得不到女人的反应 |
[22:07] | I can’t believe how much they low-balled it. | 我没想到他们还算客气的了 |
[22:10] | Josh. Wait up. | 乔西,等等我 |
[22:12] | Let me walk you to your office. | 我陪你回办公室 |
[22:15] | Sure. | 好啊 |
[22:19] | – You know, he had a point. – Who? | -他说得有理 -谁? |
[22:21] | – Doug. – That we’re arrogant? | -道格 -我们很自负? |
[22:23] | I guess that means Doug won’t be coming to my sweet-16, then. | 我猜那表示道格不会 来参加我的生日派对了 |
[22:27] | – You sent them the press release? – What press release? | -你把新闻稿发给他们了? -什么新闻稿? |
[22:29] | – Subcommittee. About tobacco. – Yes. | -非正式顾问团,关于烟草案 -对 |
[22:33] | Well, that was stupid. | 那真是愚蠢 |
[22:35] | – You think? – I know. | 那真是愚蠢 -真的吗? -我知道 |
[22:36] | I got two years as legislative director in the House… | -真的吗? -我知道 我当了2年的 白宫立法部门主任 |
[22:39] | …two years as Senate floor director… | 2年的参议院主任 |
[22:41] | …and 30 months as deputy chief of staff, what do you got? | 还有2年半的人事主任 你呢? |
[22:44] | Kalmbach’s a fat-ass Rotarian gasbag. | 康巴哈是满脑肥肠的扶轮社大亨 |
[22:47] | I knew once I sent it, he’d raise the profile and give us the press we needed. | 我知道我一旦发出新闻稿 就会提高声望跟媒体曝光率 |
[22:51] | Kalmbach is vulnerable in his home state. | 康巴哈在家乡恶名昭彰 |
[22:54] | He’s got an influx of tech and clean industries along his Route 9 corridor… | 他跟9号公路上的科技业 跟各大工业都有很好的关系 |
[22:58] | …and the suburban voters with it, parents who don’t want kids smoking. | 郊区的选民会表态 还有不希望儿女抽烟的父母 |
[23:02] | We got the money, Bruno. | 我们拿到那笔钱了,布鲁诺 |
[23:06] | You don’t want the money, you want the issue. | 你想要的不是钱 你要的是论题 |
[23:10] | You should’ve waited until fall when the bell rings, then we hammer them with it. | 你应该等到秋天选战开打 我们到时再大力抨击他们 |
[23:14] | And Kalmbach, Ross, O’Rourke, Stevens, whoever gets nominated… | 康巴哈、罗斯、欧罗克 任何被提名的人 |
[23:17] | …has it hanging around their necks, they’re nicotine pushers. | 都会被咬得死死的 他们是尼古丁提倡者 |
[23:21] | Plus, you get the money. | 而且你又能得到钱 |
[23:24] | The sooner you get I know what I’m talking about and I’m on your side… | 你越快搞懂我在说什么 还有我站在你这一边 |
[23:28] | …the sooner your world gets better. | 你的世界就越宽广 |
[23:32] | Of course you got the money. | 你当然会得到那笔钱 |
[23:33] | I’m amazed he didn’t send it to you with candy and a stripper. | 你当然会得到那笔钱 我倒很惊讶 他没有顺便奉送糖果跟脱衣舞娘 |
[23:39] | Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio. | 宾州、密西根跟俄亥俄 |
[23:43] | Three swing states you could’ve brought over with that. | 这三个州是关键 你不能用那种方法获胜 |
[23:50] | That’s an election. | 这才是选战 |
[24:30] | You still get nervous talking to crowds? | 你对群众说话还会紧张吗? |
[24:32] | I’ve never been nervous talking in front of big crowds. It’s talking to one person. | 我从没紧张过 这就像跟一个人说话一样 |
[24:38] | I didn’t know she was gonna be here. | 我不知道她会在这里 |
[24:48] | – I didn’t know you were gonna be here. – I’m introducing you. | -我不知道你会来这里 -我负责介绍你 |
[24:52] | – I thought Leyland was. – C.J. thought it would be good… | -我以为里欧会介绍我 -茜洁认为这样比较好 |
[24:54] | – Okay. – I can tell them… | -好吧 -我可以告诉他们 |
[24:56] | – No, I think it’s a good idea. – Okay. | -好吧 -我可以告诉他们 -不,我认为这是个好主意 -好吧 |
[25:00] | You need to reach out to the staff. | 你必须多跟幕僚沟通 |
[25:03] | Once you do that, they’ll feel better. | 那么做他们会比较安心 |
[25:06] | And then so will you. | 你也会比较安心 |
[25:09] | I’m going back to the house. | 我要回白宫了 |
[25:16] | What are you reading? | 你在读什么? |
[25:18] | I don’t know enough about agriculture. | 我对农业不熟 |
[25:20] | I wouldn’t worry about it. Agriculture isn’t really your field. | 我不会为此操心 农业不是你的领域 |
[25:23] | Agriculture is responsible for one in five American jobs, so it is a bit my field. | 每5位国人就有1个在农业 这也算是我的领域 |
[25:30] | Fifteen percent of the world’s cotton, 25 percent of the world’s beef… | 全球有15%的棉花 25%的牛肉 |
[25:34] | …and 50 percent of the world’s soybeans are grown in my field. | 50%的黄豆都在我的领域内收成 |
[25:37] | Farmers pay taxes in my field, their kids go to school in my field… | 农夫在我的领域内煤税 孩子在我的领域内上学 |
[25:41] | …they go to jail in my field. From time to time, they go to war in my field. | 罪犯在我的领域内坐牢 有时士兵还在我的领域出征 |
[25:45] | If I say,”It’s not my field,” I’m not saying something… | 如果我说“这不是我的领域” 那就不是在说 |
[25:48] | …I’m trying to learn so I can. | 我正在学习,好了解我的领域 |
[25:50] | – Why won’t you talk to me? – Why aren’t you with me? | -你为什么不跟我说话? -你为什么不了解我? |
[25:53] | – How do you know I’m not? – You’re not. | -你怎么知道我不了解你? -你是不了解 |
[25:56] | – You’re pissed at me? – I’m trying to read here. | -我惹到你了? -我正在看书 |
[26:00] | You’re pissed, I don’t believe it. I don’t believe you. | 你生气了,我不敢相信 你怎么可以这样 |
[26:03] | I don’t believe you. | 你怎么可以这样 |
[26:05] | You go from”I’ve got a lot to say”… | 你之前说“我有很多话要说” |
[26:07] | …to”I can’t say it right now, because I’ve got so much to say”… | 又说“我现在不能说 因为有太多话要说” |
[26:11] | …to”I gotta read about agriculture” and”You’re not with me and go to hell.” | 还说“我要研究农业” 还有“你不了解我,去死吧” |
[26:16] | That’s an extraordinary evolution. | 那真是惊人的演进啊 |
[26:18] | Can I go a week without explaining myself? | 我可以不为自己辩解 一个礼拜吗? |
[26:21] | You can go as long as you want without explaining yourself, read your book. | 你要沉默多久都行 读你的书吧 |
[26:25] | – Sit down, we’ll talk about it now. – I’m not in the mood, jackass. | -坐下,我们现在就来谈 -我没心情,混蛋 |
[26:29] | Is there any way to change your mind? Because I really had my heart set on it. | 我该怎样改变你的心意? 我真的已经准备好了 |
[26:35] | Go to hell. | 去死吧 |
[26:53] | You feel all right? | 你还好吗? |
[26:55] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[26:58] | C.J. wants her to introduce me? | 茜洁要她介绍我? |
[27:00] | Yeah, I thought it was a good idea too. | 对,我以为那是个好主意 |
[27:02] | I wouldn’t mind a little… . You know. | 我一点也不介意你知道 |
[27:08] | There’s gonna be a big crowd here tomorrow. | 明天这里会有大批群众 |
[27:11] | Well, that’s your kind of crowd. | 那是你那一类的群众 |
[27:18] | – I need to finish the speech. – Yeah. | -我必须把讲稿完成 -好 |
[27:46] | What are you doing? | 你在做什么? |
[27:48] | What are you doing? | 你在做什么? |
[27:50] | – I’m… – Going over the transcript? | -我在 -检查讲稿? |
[27:52] | He needs to apologize. | 他需要道歉 |
[27:54] | – Don’t worry about it. – He lied. | -别担心 -他说谎 |
[27:58] | He didn’t lie. It’s what your people call a”sin of omission.” | 他没说谎 那是你们天主教徒所谓的忽略之罪 |
[28:01] | I’m not Catholic. It’s what everybody calls a sin of omission. Bartlet lied to us. | 我不是信徒,大家都说那叫 忽略之罪,巴特勒对我们说谎 |
[28:06] | President Bartlet, Sam, come on. | 是巴特勒总统,山姆 |
[28:09] | Did you know many multiple sclerosis advocates actually instruct victims… | 你知道因为人们误解太深 有多少多重性硬化症医生 |
[28:14] | …to hide the illness because it’s so misunderstood? | 鼓励患者隐匿病情? |
[28:17] | You think they advise presidential candidates to do that? | 你认为他们也鼓励 总统候选人这么做? |
[28:20] | I don’t. | 我不认为 |
[28:25] | – That night he told you… – Yeah. | -那晚他告诉你时 -怎样 |
[28:27] | – Didn’t you feel like…? – I went crazy. | -你是否觉得? -我失去控制 |
[28:30] | I whaled on him in the Oval Office. | 我在办公室里对他破口大骂 |
[28:33] | – None of us had the chance to do that. – I know. | -没有人有机会这么做 -我知道 |
[28:36] | We could’ve gotten it done. | 我们本来可以把事情做好 |
[28:37] | If he had just told us, this would’ve been a different… | 如果他早点告诉我们 事情就不一样了 |
[28:40] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[28:42] | Go home. | 回家吧 |
[28:45] | All right. | 好吧 |
[28:58] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[29:00] | – Hey. – What are you doing? | -嘿 -你在做什么? |
[29:02] | – Talking to myself. – I’ll join you. | -自言自语 -我也加入 |
[29:04] | Feel free. | 欢迎 |
[29:10] | I thought the speech was locked, but they’re at the house, arguing. | 我以为讲稿已经定案 但他们还在争吵不休 |
[29:14] | It’s not locked till the president says so. | 直到总统说好,讲稿不会定案 |
[29:19] | I was out trying to find a Starbucks. | 我出来找星巴克咖啡 |
[29:22] | A guy in a gas station said,”Around here, people don’t pay $4 for coffee.” | 加油站的人告诉我 “这里没有人付4美元买咖啡” |
[29:26] | New Hampshire: Live Free or Cheap. | 新罕布夏:活得自由,或省一点 |
[29:30] | Doug means well, you know, and he’s smart. | 道格没有恶意 而且很聪明 |
[29:34] | It seems to me, your job is to wait until Doug leaves the room, then say: | 我觉得你的工作好像是 等他走出房间后,才说 |
[29:37] | “What Doug really meant was… .” | “道格真正的意思是” |
[29:40] | How much do they pay you for that? | 他们付你多少钱做这份工作? |
[29:42] | Sometimes it’s my job to say it when he’s in the room. | 有时候他在房间里 我也会这么做 |
[29:45] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[29:47] | We’re making a mistake not including an apology. | 如果我们不道歉 就是在犯错 |
[29:51] | – Is this what you mean or Doug means? – Both. | -这是你的还是道格的意思? -都有 |
[29:55] | – It’s not gonna happen. – Why not? | -那是不可能的 -为什么? |
[29:56] | Because Jed Bartlet’s Jed Bartlet and that’s the way it goes. | 因为杰德巴特勒就是杰德巴特勒 事情就是这样 |
[30:00] | That’s what you’re saying and it makes sense, but you know what? | 那是你说的,虽然有理 但是你知道吗? |
[30:03] | You want him to apologize and not just for political reasons. | 你希望他道歉 而且不只是政治考量 |
[30:08] | I haven’t really thought that much about it. | 我没想那么多 |
[30:10] | There’s been a lot going on and I haven’t really thought much about it. | 发生了很多事 我一时没想到那么多 |
[30:14] | You were with him at the beginning. | 你一开始就跟着他 |
[30:16] | You got him elected. You work for Bartlet 18 hours a day. | 你帮助他竞选成功 你为巴特勒每天工作18小时 |
[30:19] | – You never felt…? – Connie. | -你从不觉得? -康妮 |
[30:22] | Please, it’s President Bartlet. | 拜托,是巴特勒总统 |
[30:26] | Okay? | 好吗? |
[30:29] | Yeah. | 好吧 |
[30:31] | I should get back to the hotel. | 我该回旅馆了 |
[30:33] | We have to mention values. | 我们必须提到价值 |
[30:34] | If we don’t, we’re gonna spend the next 15 months… | 如果我们不提 我们就要花上15个月 |
[30:37] | …trying to convince people we did mention values. | 说服人们我们的确有提到价值 |
[30:40] | “My values are New Hampshire’s values: hard work and responsibility. | “我的价值就是新罕布夏价值 辛苦工作、尽责到底 |
[30:43] | Strong families and communities. | 重视家庭与社区 |
[30:45] | Boundless faith in an ideal of self-reliance. | 对自我期许的理想 充满信心 |
[30:47] | And poor people can go screw themselves.” | 穷人家就别管他们” |
[30:50] | My point is, for 30 years, Democrats have been labeled tax-and-spend… | 我的意思是,过去30年来 民主党已贴上课税花钱的标签 |
[30:53] | …as if they don’t believe in getting up and going to work. | 仿佛他们已不再相信 勤奋工作的价值 |
[30:56] | – That’s why we have to say it. – Then nobody’s gonna understand it. | -这就是我们必须提价值的原因 -但没有人会了解的 |
[31:00] | Which is why I wanted to cut the three paragraphs about… | 所以我才要把这三段删掉 |
[31:03] | Do you want to solve problems… | 你们想解决问题 |
[31:05] | …or are you helping us run for grand marshal of the Rose Bowl Parade? | 还是只想竞选玫瑰花车 游行领队? |
[31:09] | – Look… – I’m stretching my legs. | -听着 -我出去走动走动 |
[31:19] | Yeah? | 什么事? |
[31:24] | Okay. | 好 |
[31:42] | Is that something you run for? | 你真的竞选过游行领队? |
[31:47] | The Rose Bowl Parade. | 玫瑰花车游行 |
[31:50] | Don’t you just get picked? | 还是你老是被欺负? |
[31:54] | I don’t… . | 我不 |
[31:57] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[32:02] | You guys are so pissed at him you don’t even know it. | 你们对他很火大 甚至自己都不知道 |
[32:07] | You’re more pissed at him than the press is. | 你们比媒体更气他 |
[32:10] | You’re more pissed at him than the party is. | 你们比政党更气他 |
[32:13] | You’re so pissed at him, you’re pissed at me. | 你对他火大 所以你也看我不爽 |
[32:17] | If he hadn’t lied, you could’ve run the campaign you wanted to… | 如果他没说谎 你就可以用你的方法打选战 |
[32:20] | …instead of lots of people coming in and teaching you how not to bother anybody. | 不用听一堆人来这里 教你怎么搓汤圆 |
[32:28] | I never drank the Kool-Aid, Toby. I came to win. | 我不是变色龙,托比 我是来获得胜利的 |
[32:32] | And you’re so pissed at him, you can’t even admit that for the last two weeks… | 你们对他这么火大 过去2周来都不敢承认 |
[32:36] | …you’ve gone to sleep at night thanking God that I did. | 你们每晚上床祈祷时 还感谢上帝我敢承认 |
[32:42] | Yeah? | 是吗? |
[32:49] | Bruno just got off with Leo. | 布鲁诺刚刚跟里奥通话 |
[32:52] | The speech is locked. | 讲稿已经敲定 |
[33:13] | Whitley left in the first van. He’s there already. | 惠特利已经上了第一辆车 他已经到了 |
[33:16] | So somebody sit with The Boston Globe. | 找个人跟《波士顿地球报》一起坐 |
[33:19] | Donna, where’s Josh? | 唐娜,乔西人呢? |
[33:21] | I’ll get him. | 我去找他 |
[33:34] | Come in. | 进来 |
[33:35] | – You’re supposed to be downstairs. – Yeah. | -你应该要在楼下 -是吗 |
[33:38] | – You’re not ready? – We’re blowing this RU-486 thing. | -你还没准备好? -RU-486这件事把我们搞死了 |
[33:40] | You gotta get in the shower. | 你得去洗个澡 |
[33:42] | It’ll look like we’re starting the campaign by pandering to women’s groups. | 大家会以为我们的竞选活动 是以拉拢女性团体起跑 |
[33:46] | No question, most voters are pro-choice, but the ones that aren’t… | 大部分的选民都赞成��胎合法化 但不赞成的人 |
[33:49] | …are gonna devote their lives and money to beating you. | 会投注大笔金钱跟心力 来打击我们 |
[33:52] | “Guns don’t kill people, Bartlet does.” | “枪不会杀人,巴特勒会” |
[33:55] | It’ll look like we screwed up the timing, so the press will write about process… | 我们把时机搞乱了 媒体会开始强调过程 |
[34:00] | …not issues, and getting political reporters to write about issues… | 而不是议题 如果请政治专栏作家写议题 |
[34:04] | …is like getting kids to eat vegetables. – You gotta shave. | -就像逼小孩吃青菜 -你得刮胡子 |
[34:08] | Don’t you wanna know how it’s like getting kid…? | 你不想知道 逼小孩吃青菜是什么样? |
[34:11] | Shave and shower. | 刮胡子,洗澡 |
[34:12] | It helps if there’s nothing else on their plate. | 如果他们没负面题材可写 才对我们有帮助 |
[34:15] | – You couldn’t sleep? – I know I could stop this thing. | -你睡不着? -我知道我可以阻止这件事 |
[34:17] | One phone call. The president’s not even involved. | 只要一通电话 再也不必扯到总统 |
[34:20] | “Could you do us a favor? Could you hold off two weeks? | “你可以通融一下吗? 你可以再延2周吗? |
[34:23] | We love your drug, but we don’t want it in our news cycle.” | 我们爱你的药 但我们不希望它加入文宣” |
[34:26] | – I could’ve picked up the phone… . – Josh? | -我只要拿起电话 -乔西? |
[34:29] | God! | 天哪! |
[34:32] | What’s this about? | 到底怎么回事? |
[34:39] | I blew the tobacco thing. | 我把烟草的事搞砸了 |
[34:44] | That could’ve helped us. That was… . | 那件事本来可以帮我们 |
[34:51] | It’s gonna be a very close election. | 这次选战会很难打 |
[34:56] | I gotta take a shower. | 我得洗个澡 |
[35:06] | – Good morning. – You can go on up. | -早安 -你可以通过 |
[35:27] | – Mr. President? – Come in. | -总统先生? -进来 |
[35:29] | – I was told you wanted to see me. – Yeah. | -你说你想见我 -对 |
[35:32] | Don’t be a marriage counselor, it pisses me off, okay? | 别当婚姻顾问 这让我火大,懂吗? |
[35:36] | – I’m sorry? – You know what I’m talking about. | -什么? -你知道我在说什么 |
[35:38] | That part of my life doesn’t belong to you. | 那是我的私生活 跟你无关 |
[35:40] | I simply put together what I thought was the best event. | 我只想达到最好的效果 |
[35:43] | – The first lady is an excellent speaker… – All right. That’s all. | -第一夫人是最佳讲者 -好吧,就这样 |
[35:51] | I think if you get a bump in the polls after today’s speech, as we expect… | 如果今天演说后 民调如预期般有了起色 |
[35:55] | …it’d be good for me to resign. | 会是我辞职的好时机 |
[35:57] | Yeah? | 什么? |
[36:00] | – To leave earlier would be strategically… – Yeah. Okay. | -早点辞职在策略上 -好吧 |
[36:04] | – The press is… – That’s nonsense to me and I don’t care. | -媒体 -那对我毫无意义,我不在乎 |
[36:07] | For all the jobs we’ve created, single mothers work two at minimum wage. | 我们创造这么多就业机会 还有单亲妈妈兼职赚取最低薪资 |
[36:12] | There are school districts where less than half graduate. | 有的学区不到一半的学生毕业 |
[36:15] | And a kid born in Harlem is more likely to go to prison than a four-year college. | 在哈林区出生的孩子 坐牢的机率比进大学还高 |
[36:19] | They’re bringing guns to school! | 他们还带枪到学校! |
[36:21] | Don’t you dare lecture me, sir, don’t you dare do it! | 不要对我说教,长官 不准对我说教! |
[36:44] | I was never supposed to win. | 我本来就不该获胜 |
[36:48] | I got in it polling in the single digits. | 我的民调本来不到10个百分点 |
[36:51] | Hoynes had it locked up. | 何尼斯本来会赢 |
[36:53] | I got in it to give some speeches and keep him honest. | 我参加了几场演讲 逼他说实话 |
[36:59] | Then you guys came along… | 然后有你们的加入 |
[37:01] | …and all of a sudden, I got 22 percent in lowa and then… | 忽然间 我在爱荷华得到22%,然后 |
[37:05] | …South Carolina and Michigan. And then Illinois. | 南卡罗莱纳跟密西根 还有伊利诺 |
[37:12] | It was a mistake benching you for that last press conference. | 因为昨晚的记者招待会 就把你换掉是不智之举 |
[37:19] | Excuse me. C.J., they need you. | 抱歉,茜洁,他们需要你 |
[37:31] | I need you too. | 我也需要你 |
[37:37] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢你,总统先生 |
[38:08] | Did you know that hardly any of the guys who landed on the moon… | 登陆月球的人里面 几乎没有人 |
[38:11] | …are married to the same people they were married to before they went there? | 跟上月球之前一样的人结婚 你知道吗? |
[38:16] | What? | 什么? |
[38:18] | I’m just saying it could be worse. I could’ve been an astronaut. | 我是说结果可能更糟 我本来可能是太空人 |
[38:23] | – You could not have been an astronaut. – I’d have been a great astronaut. | -你不可能是太空人 -我本来可以是个伟大的太空人 |
[38:27] | You’re afraid of heights, speed, fire and small places. | 你怕高、怕快、怕火 怕窄小的地方 |
[38:30] | I’d have overcome it to go to the moon. | 我可以克服恐惧上月球 |
[38:34] | I know you would’ve. | 我知道你本来会 |
[38:39] | I’m really happy you’re introducing me. I’m really happy about that. | 我很高兴是你介绍我 我真的很高兴 |
[38:51] | There’s something important I have to say. | 我想说件重要的事 |
[38:55] | Say it. | 说吧 |
[38:59] | I haven’t really made up my mind yet… | 我还没下定决心 |
[39:04] | …but at the moment… | 但此时此刻 |
[39:06] | …I’m leaning towards voting for you. | 我倾向投你一票 |
[39:25] | “Fall victim to torpor and timidity.” Torpor… | “冷眼旁观恐惧的受害者” 冷眼旁观 |
[39:29] | …is not a word a lot of people know. | 这个成语大家并不熟悉 |
[39:32] | – It means apathy. – And dullness. | -代表冷漠 -还有呆滞 |
[39:34] | – I know what it means. – Doug means… | -我知道那是什么意思 -道格是指 |
[39:36] | – They know what I mean. – Hi. | -他们知道我的意思 -嗨 |
[39:43] | If they don’t know what it means… | 如果大家不知道意思 |
[39:45] | – What’s the word? – Torpor. | -什么字? -冷眼旁观 |
[39:47] | – It means apathy. – And dullness. | -代表冷漠 -还有呆滞 |
[39:49] | I know what the word means. I’m saying if people don’t know what it means… | 我知道那个成语的意思 但如果人们不知道 |
[39:53] | – They can look it up. – Good morning, Mr. President. | -他们可以查字典 -早安,总统先生 |
[39:56] | It’s not our job to appeal to the lowest common denominator, we have to raise it. | 我们的工作不是吸引最小分母 而是增加分母 |
[40:00] | If you’re gonna be the education president, don’t hide that you have an education. | 如果想当教育至上的总统 就别隐藏自己的教育程度 |
[40:06] | Bruno, would you mind? | 布鲁诺,麻烦出去一下好吗? |
[40:21] | Churchill and F.D.R. | 邱吉尔跟罗斯福 |
[40:23] | Serious men using big words for big purpose. | 他们都是有远大理想 使用艰深字眼的伟人 |
[40:36] | It occurs to me I never said I’m sorry. | 我发现我从未道过歉 |
[40:41] | I am. | 我真的很抱歉 |
[40:43] | For the lawyers, for the press… | 对律师,对媒体 |
[40:45] | …for the mess, for the fear. | 对大众,还有我的恐惧 |
[40:49] | Bruno, Doug, Connie, these guys are good and they wanna win. So do we. | 布鲁诺、道格、康妮都是好人 他们想获胜,我们也是 |
[40:54] | The only thing we want more is to be right. | 我们唯一想得比他们多的 是要把事情做对 |
[40:58] | I wonder if you can’t do both. | 我不知道你们是否可以兼顾 |
[41:04] | There’s a new book, and we’re gonna write it. | 我们正要写历史 |
[41:07] | You can win if you run a smart, disciplined campaign… | 如果我们打一场聪明 节制的选战,我们就会赢 |
[41:11] | …if you studiously say nothing… | 如果你们谨言慎行 |
[41:13] | …nothing that causes you trouble, nothing that’s a gaffe… | 不要惹上麻烦 不要说错话 |
[41:16] | …nothing that shows you think a wrong thing, nothing that shows you think… | 显示出错误的想法 显示出个人的想法 |
[41:21] | …but it isn’t worthy of us, is it, Toby? – No, sir. | -不值得赔上我们对吧,托比? -没错,长官 |
[41:24] | It isn’t worthy of us or America. It isn’t worthy of a great nation. | 不值得赔上我们或美国 不值得赔上这个伟大国家 |
[41:30] | We’re gonna write a new book, right here, right now… | 我们要写新的历史 就在此时,此地 |
[41:33] | …this very moment, today. | 就在今天这一刻 |
[41:37] | Sir? | 长官? |
[41:38] | It is my pleasure… | 这是我的荣幸 |
[41:42] | … and my great fortune… | 为各位介绍 |
[41:44] | … to introduce my husband… | 我的丈夫 |
[41:48] | … our friend… | 我们的朋友 |
[41:50] | … New Hampshire’s greatest son… | 新罕布夏的子弟 |
[41:53] | … and the President of the United States, Josiah Bartlet! | 美国总统,杰德巴特勒! |
[41:59] | You know what? Break’s over. | 知道吗?我们已经休息够了! |