时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:08] | Just don’t say anything for… | Just don’t say anything for… 什么都别说 什么都别说 |
[00:11] | The sooner you get I know what I’m talking about… | 你越快搞懂我在说什么 |
[00:14] | …the sooner your world gets better. | 你的世界就越宽广 |
[00:15] | If we announce in two weeks, that’s when the first round… | 如果我们在2周后宣布竞选 第一轮证人传唤 |
[00:18] | …will be handed down. Screw it. It’s game time. Let’s go. | 就会开始 管他的,选战开始了,走吧 剧名:方法和手段 |
[00:31] | There he is! | 他来了! (宾州大道 联邦法院) |
[00:43] | Mr. Rollins, can you tell us when subpoenas will be issued? | 罗林斯先生,可以请您告诉我们 何时传唤证人? |
[00:46] | – I can’t. – Can you say if subpoenas will be issued? | -不能 -能告诉我们是否传唤证人? |
[00:48] | No, I can’t. | 不能 |
[00:55] | – We’ve shown nothing but good faith. – Mr. Babish. | -我们已经释出最大诚意 -巴比西先生 |
[00:58] | – You wanna speak privately? – Why am I reading about subpoenas? | -你想私底下谈吗? -为什么让我看传唤单? |
[01:02] | – Your office is leaking like a rowboat. – Got a complaint? | -你的办公室不断走漏风声 -有投诉书吗? |
[01:04] | Yes, I filed it in U.S. District Court. That’s not what I’m talking about. | 有,已经发给地方法院 我不是要谈这件事 |
[01:08] | The leaks aren’t from the jurors. They don’t know. | 消息不是陪审员走漏的 他们不知道 |
[01:10] | You can impanel a grand jury without telling them why? | 你可能挑选陪审团成员 却不告诉他们原因吗? |
[01:13] | Voir dire was entirely fair. If anything, favored the subjects. | 预审是完全公正的 如果有任何偏袒 |
[01:17] | You’ve been reading the work of a few overzealous and irresponsible members… | 你早就在非主流小报上看到 一些狂热而不负责任的 |
[01:22] | …of the conservative press in minor media outlets. | 保守媒体记者所写的文章了 |
[01:25] | It’s The Wall Street Journal. | 泄漏的是《华尔街日报》 |
[01:27] | The White House has been cooperating fully. | 白宫完全表现出合作态度 |
[01:29] | We’ll hand over everything a subpoena covers. | 我们主动提供证人名单 |
[01:31] | My staff is working around the clock organizing documents. | 我的幕僚日夜不休整理文件 |
[01:35] | If you feel something’s protected by executive privilege? | 你不觉得 总统仍在行政特权保护下吗? |
[01:38] | What if the president considers waiving executive privilege? | 如果我告诉你 总统考虑放弃行政特权呢? |
[01:41] | Is he waiving attorney-client privilege? Spousal privilege? | 他是否放弃律师与客户特权? 配偶特权? |
[01:44] | How about doctor-patient privilege? | 医生与病人特权呢? |
[01:46] | They have shown nothing but good faith. | 他们已表现出最大诚意 |
[01:49] | I can’t give out extra credit for that. | 我不能因此偏袒 |
[02:00] | Let’s go. | 走吧 (大陪审团 开会中) |
[02:27] | Good morning. My name is Clement Rollins. | 早安 我的名字是克雷蒙罗林斯 |
[02:30] | I’m the special prosecutor appointed by the U.S. attorney general… | 我是由美国司法部长指定的 特别检察官 |
[02:34] | …in the matter of docket CRSP-00101. | 负责审查 案件编号CRSP-00101 |
[02:40] | With your permission, and on your behalf… | 在各位允许下 代表各位 |
[02:42] | …I would like to issue the first round of subpoenas. | 发布第一轮证人传唤 |
[02:45] | These subpoenas compel both testimony and production of documents… | 传唤证人强制作证 提供相关文件 |
[02:49] | …by the individuals named herein. | 证人为以下人员 |
[02:52] | They are as follows: | 包括 |
[02:56] | “Josiah Bartlet, Abigail Ann Bartlet, Elizabeth Bartlet Westin… | “杰德巴特勒、艾碧盖儿巴特勒 伊莉莎白巴特勒 |
[03:02] | …Eleanor Emily Bartlet, Zoey Patricia Bartlet… | 伊莲诺巴特勒、柔伊巴特勒 |
[03:07] | …Leo Thomas McGarry, Joshua Lyman, Claudia Jean Cregg… | 里奥马加利、乔西赖曼 茜洁葛瑞 |
[03:12] | …Samuel Norman Seaborn, Toby Zachary Ziegler… .” | 山姆西朋、托比齐格” 主演:罗伯洛 主演:杜希尔 主演:艾莉森詹尼 主演:珍妮尔摩隆奈 主演:里察薛福 主演:约翰史宾塞 主演:布雷迪威佛德 主演:马丁辛 (星期一) |
[04:11] | – Donna? – Yeah? | -唐娜? -什么事? |
[04:14] | What’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[04:15] | One of these boxes is the president’s private schedules. | 其中一个箱子 是总统的私人行程 |
[04:18] | One is his publicly issued schedules, to see if there are inconsistencies. | 一个是公开行程 我要找出不一致的地方 |
[04:22] | – Were you here all night? – Is it daytime? | -你整晚都待在这儿? -天亮了吗? |
[04:24] | – It’s 7:30. – When I stay up all night… | -早上7点半了 -如果我整晚熬夜 |
[04:26] | …I can pass a 19th-century English literature midterm. Josh? | 就能考过英国文学期中考 对吗,乔西? |
[04:29] | – Yeah? – I’m not gonna have to take one, am I? | -什么事? -我不用考试,对吧? |
[04:33] | – No. – In one of these are memos… | -不用 -其中一个是备忘录 |
[04:34] | …pertaining to the president’s new teachers initiative… | 关于总统的新教师政策 |
[04:37] | …since it’s a major policy launch after his suspected MS attack. | 因为那是他出现硬化症之后 发布的重大政策 |
[04:41] | – Can I ask you something? – I had a plan. | -我可以问你一件事吗? -我有计划 |
[04:43] | – When you say,”In one of these boxes…” – I had a plan. | -当你说“其中一个箱子” -我有计划 |
[04:47] | Each box is numbered. | 每个箱子都有编号 |
[04:48] | There’s a piece of paper with a number describing the contents of each box. | 有一张箱子号码清单 代表不同的内容物 |
[04:52] | Well, where’s the piece of paper? | 那张清单呢? |
[04:55] | – It’s in one of these boxes. – I had a plan. | -在其中一个箱子里 -我有计划 |
[05:00] | – I grew up on a farm. – You grew up in a condo. | -我在农场长大 -你在公寓长大 |
[05:03] | I grew up near a farm. | 离农场很近 |
[05:05] | I was cute, peppy, and I always did well on my 19th-century English midterm… | 我可爱又活泼 英国文学期中考分数很高 |
[05:09] | …until you sucked me into your life of crime. | 直到你把我卷入 你的罪犯生活 |
[05:12] | – Hey, I’m not the… – White-collar crime boy! | -我不是 -白领罪犯! |
[05:15] | You know what they’d do to me on that cellblock? | 你知道在牢房 他们会怎么整我吗? |
[05:17] | – I’ve seen those movies. – Yeah, me too. | -我看过那些电影 -我也是 |
[05:19] | I’ll bet you have. Sell my farm-girl ass for a carton of Luckys. | 我想也是,把农村女孩卖掉 好换一箱糖果 |
[05:24] | – Seriously, you need to sleep for a while. – I can’t yet. | -说真的,你需要睡一下 -我还不能睡 |
[05:27] | In one of these boxes are records for any gifts or packages sent to senior staff. | 其中一个箱子 有送礼物给资深幕僚的纪录 |
[05:31] | In one of these boxes is a piece of paper which says which box it’s in! | 其中一个箱子有一张清单 告诉我它在哪个箱子里! |
[05:36] | – I’ll be in the office. – Down a corridor, 200 feet from here. | -我在办公室里 -就在走廊尽头,2百尺远 |
[05:40] | – Don’t commit any felonies on the way. – I’ll do my best. | -别在路上犯罪 -我尽力而为 |
[05:44] | Donna’s, like, two, three days away from unspooling. | 唐娜好像连续工作了2、3天 |
[05:48] | It’s fun to watch, but can you loan me senior assistants from Communications? | 看她这样很好玩 但我需要你部门的资深助理 |
[05:52] | Yeah. There’s a fire in Yellowstone Park. | 好啊 黄石公园发生大火了 |
[05:55] | – Put it out. – I’m not a professional firefighter… | -去灭火啊 -我不是专业消防员 |
[05:57] | …though I had wanted to be. | 虽然我曾经想当消防员 |
[05:59] | – When? – When I was 4. | -何时? -4岁 |
[06:01] | When I was 4, I wanted to be a ballerina. | 当我4岁时 我想当芭蕾舞者 |
[06:04] | – Yeah? – I don’t like to talk about it. | -什么? -我不想多谈 |
[06:07] | It was a dry lightning strike in a lodgepole pine forest. | 因为一记闪电 忽然打在干燥的松树林中 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 |
[06:10] | The fire spread to 500 acres, but it’s inside a resource benefit zone. | 火势扩散到5百英亩 但仍在资源保育区内 |
[06:14] | – Is it under control? – As a matter of fact… | -控制住了吗? -说实话 制片:亚力克葛拉夫斯 |
[06:16] | …last night, the park superintendent, consulting with Bill Horton… | 昨晚,国家公园园长 谘询过比尔霍顿 |
[06:20] | …and deputies from the Interior Department… | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 还有内政部官员 |
[06:23] | …decided to let it run its course. | 决定让火势自然燃烧 |
[06:25] | – They’re letting it burn? – Not necessarily policy to put them out. | -他们让火继续烧? -灭火不一定是政策之一 |
[06:29] | Putting out fires isn’t necessarily our policy? | 灭火不一定是政策之一? 制片:李维林威尔斯 |
[06:32] | Fire is good for the environment under some circumstances. | 在这种情况下 火灾对森林有益 |
[06:35] | Forests have a natural cycle that requires purging burns to reinvigorate growth. | 编剧:艾伦索金 森林有种自然循环 烧光树木有助于催生新苗 |
[06:40] | – Someone just said that to you, right? – Yeah. | -有人告诉你的,对吧? -对 |
[06:43] | – What do we do? – The president talks with the governor. | -那我们怎么办? -总统会跟州长谈 |
[06:46] | – Why? – So the president can say they talked. | -为什么? -总统就可以说他们谈过了 |
[06:49] | – I’ll take care of it. – Ballerina? | -我会处理 -芭蕾舞者? |
[06:51] | – I’d like that not to get around. – No chance of that. | -别说出去 -我也不想 |
[06:54] | – Emphasize that it’s not like being served. – How is it not like it? | -强调这跟传票不同 -怎么会跟传票不同? 导演:亚力克葛拉夫斯 |
[06:57] | A subpoena is a legal agreement to produce testimony in documents. | 传唤是法律上同意 提供文件作为证词 |
[07:01] | Like a mugger uses a gun to produce wallets? | 就像抢匪用枪来作皮包? |
[07:03] | You say we’re cooperating fully. | 你说我们会完全合作 |
[07:05] | You say subpoenas don’t indicate otherwise. | 你说传唤没有其他意思 |
[07:08] | Say they’re a commonly used legal tool to define the scope of the inquiry. | 假设他们采取一般法律途径 界定采证范围 |
[07:13] | Oliver, political reporters don’t care about the scope of inquiry. | 奥力佛 政治记者对采证范围没有兴趣 |
[07:16] | They hear”subpoenas.” My trouble with your spin is… | 他们只听见“传唤” 我们的麻烦是 |
[07:19] | …we won’t get anywhere acting calm. We need to pick a fight. | 我们不能假装镇定 必须挑起战端 |
[07:22] | – Why? – In politics, if you’re not on offense… | -为什么? -在政治里,如果你不是被告 |
[07:24] | …you’re on defense. – Your problem there… | -就是原告 -你的问题是 |
[07:27] | …is that Clem Rollins doesn’t foam at the mouth. He’s a good guy… | 克雷罗林斯不随便说话 他是个正人君子 |
[07:30] | …and he comes off as a good guy. | 他下台时也是正人君子 |
[07:32] | Plus, he was appointed by your attorney general. Tough to fit him for a black hat. | 而且,他是由司法部长指派 很难抹黑他 |
[07:37] | Let me think for just a second. | 让我想一下 |
[07:42] | – What do Republicans say about him? – We don’t all hang out at a little club. | -共和党怎么说他的? -我们又不常聚在一起喝酒 |
[07:46] | – What do they say about him? – He’s well-respected, deliberate. | -他们怎么说他的? -他受人尊重,深思熟虑 |
[07:50] | He takes his duties seriously, wants to get the truth… | 他很看重自己的责任 希望知道真相 |
[07:52] | …and he wants to avoid any appearance of impropriety or partisanship. | 他希望能避免任何 不正当或偏袒的形象 |
[08:02] | Excuse me. | 失陪 |
[08:05] | Where are you going? | 你要去哪里? |
[08:08] | We need a different enemy. | 我们需要另一个敌人 |
[08:10] | – When do you meet on the estate tax? – Five minutes. | -你们何时开遗产税的会? -5分钟后 |
[08:13] | – With Toby? – Yeah. | -跟托比? -对 |
[08:15] | Just remember it’s a compromise, Josh. It’s done. You may not like it, but… | 记住,那只是妥协,乔西 事情已定,也许你不喜欢,但 |
[08:20] | – It’s a compromise. – When you two dislike something, you… | -只是妥协 -当你们两个讨厌某件事 |
[08:24] | – Show displeasure. – Piss people off. | -就会露出臭脸 -会惹火所有人 |
[08:26] | That’s a bad rap. I’m sweet as pecan pie. | 唱得真难听 我就像核桃派一样甜 |
[08:29] | – Yeah? – I hate these people, Leo. | -什么事? -我恨这些人,里奥 |
[08:31] | When this thing is done, I’m gonna screw them with their pants on. | 当这件事办好后 我一定要好好整他们 |
[08:34] | – Excuse me. – Hey, C.J. | -不好意思 -茜洁 |
[08:36] | Leo. Giselle. | 里奥,芭蕾伶娜 |
[08:39] | – I’m out of here. – Got a second? | -我要走了 -有空吗? |
[08:40] | – Yeah, walk with me. – Oliver Babish and Ainsley Hayes… | -陪我走一段 -奥力佛巴比西跟艾金丝莉海耶斯 |
[08:44] | …were just in my office. – On spin? | -正在我办公室 -来提供消息? |
[08:46] | – What you got? – Nothing. Know why? | -有什么情报? -没有,你知道为什么吗? |
[08:47] | – Rollins likes us. – He doesn’t hate us. | -罗林斯喜欢我们 -他不恨我们 |
[08:50] | Well, that’s just because he doesn’t know us. | 因为他不了解我们 |
[08:58] | We need to be investigated by someone who wants to kill us just to watch us die. | 我们必须找个恨我们入骨的人 来调查我们 |
[09:03] | We need someone perceived by people to be irresponsible, untrustworthy… | 我们必须找个大家认为 最不负责、最不可靠的人 |
[09:07] | …partisan, ambitious and thirsty for the limelight. | 偏袒、有野心 迫不及待想成名 |
[09:09] | Am I crazy or is this not a job for the U.S. House of Representatives? | 是我疯了 还是这不是参议员的工作之一? |
[09:13] | – They’ll get to it sooner or later. – Make it sooner. | -他们早晚会查出来的 -越快越好啊 |
[09:16] | Make it now. Rollins is driving them crazy, moving too slow. | 最好是现在 罗林斯太慢,快把他们逼疯了 |
[09:19] | He won’t talk to the press. They’re ready to jump. | 他都不跟媒体放话 他们都快跳楼了 |
[09:21] | I swear to God, I think we can move the show. | 我向天发誓 我们可以演场好戏 |
[09:27] | – You got a briefing now? – Yeah. | -你要简报吗? -对 |
[09:30] | – Show me what you’re starting with. – Yeah. | -告诉我你从哪里着手 -好 |
[09:35] | – I’m leaving now. – You need this. | -我要走了 -你需要这个 |
[09:37] | – Leaving for this meeting. – You don’t need this. | -我要去开会了 -你不需要这个 |
[09:40] | – This meeting where I will compromise. – You have 10-60? | -开一个要妥协的会 -你有近视吗? |
[09:43] | Yes, I do. Why do we compromise? Because we are ordered to. | 有,为什么我们要妥协? 因为上面的命令 |
[09:46] | Because compromising on the estate tax prevents Republicans… | 因为在遗产税上妥协 能避免共和党 |
[09:50] | …from going for a bigger tax cut, which would help wrest the White House… | 砍更多税,危害白宫 |
[09:54] | …from our compromising hands. So I go to this meeting. | 从我们妥协的双手中 所以我必须去开会 |
[09:57] | – You need this. – The estate tax… | -你需要这个 -遗产税 |
[09:59] | …which Republicans cleverly dubbed the”death tax.” | 共和党巧妙地称为“死亡税” |
[10:01] | There’s nothing that Republicans do better than naming things. | 没有人比共和党 更会帮事情取名字 |
[10:05] | So I go to this meeting, because I agree with Republicans and Congress… | 所以我要去开会 因为我同意共和党跟国会 |
[10:08] | …America is about self-sufficiency, lifting yourself up by your bootstraps… | 美国是个是个自给自足的国家 把自己越撑越高 |
[10:13] | …as long as your children’s children never have to work. So I go to this meeting. | 只要你家后代都不用工作 所以我要去开会 |
[10:17] | – Toby? – He’s rolling. | -托比? -他在走了 |
[10:18] | I go to this meeting, Ginger. I compromise, throw a line in the sand… | 我要去开会了,金洁 我妥协,在沙堆上写字 |
[10:22] | …to ensure that only multimillionaires, not billionaires, are exempt from the tax. | 确保只有百万富翁免税 不是亿万富翁 |
[10:27] | Re-elect the president, he’s for the millionaires, not billionaires. | 让总统连任 他支持百万富翁,不是亿万富翁 |
[10:31] | Toby, they canceled the meeting! | 托比,他们取消会议了! |
[10:34] | – What do you mean? – It’s the chairman’s office. | -什么意思? -在主席办公室决定的 |
[10:36] | – They’re canceling. – Why? | -他们正要取消 -为什么? |
[10:38] | They canceled the meeting. | 他们取消会议了 |
[10:40] | Bonnie’s got him on the phone. What’s going on? | 邦妮正在跟他通话 怎么了? |
[10:43] | They say it’s his daughter’s wedding. | 他们说因为他女儿的婚礼 |
[10:46] | – That’s on Saturday. – They say he wants to leave early. | -那是在周六 -他们说他想提早离开 |
[10:49] | – They’re lying. – I know. | -他们在说谎 -我知道 |
[10:53] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事? |
[10:58] | – I think they wanna take it off the table. – And do what? | -我猜他们想私下解决 -然后呢? |
[11:02] | White House is weak. What would you do? | 白宫很弱,你会怎么办? |
[11:06] | You think they want to repeal the estate tax? | 他们要废除遗产税? |
[11:16] | – Good morning. – Are you concerned about the subpoenas? | -早安 -你担心传唤的事吗? |
[11:19] | No. In fact, we’ve already sent over 80 cartons of documents to Clem. | 不,事实上 我们已经送出80箱文件 |
[11:23] | Eighty cartons of documents that weren’t even subpoenaed… | 80箱还未收到传唤的文件 |
[11:27] | …and we intend to continue cooperating with him fully. | 我们决定继续合作 |
[11:30] | – Why were subpoenas necessary? – They’re a common legal tool… | -为什么一定要传唤? -那是一般法律途径 |
[11:33] | …to define the scope of the inquiry. Steve? | 以定义采证范围 史蒂夫? |
[11:35] | – What about congressional hearings? – We don’t think they’re necessary… | -国会公听会呢? -我们认为没有必要 |
[11:39] | …but that’s not for us to say. We take a different view… | 但我们无权发言 我们跟国会共和党员 |
[11:42] | …than congressional Republicans do of the special prosecutor’s performance. | 对特别检察官的看法不同 |
[11:46] | We believe he’s thorough and impartial, and should be allowed to finish his work. | 我们相信他完全公正 能胜任他的工作 |
[11:50] | You say,”a different view.” Is Congress unhappy with the special prosecutor? | 你说“看法不同” 国会是否对检察官不满? |
[11:54] | You’d have to ask Congress that. Mark. | 你必须自己去问国会 马克 |
[11:56] | C.J., can you comment on the contents of the 80 cartons already sent? | 茜洁,对80箱文件的内容 可以请你发表言论吗? (星期二) |
[12:25] | – You still don’t know my name, do you? – It’s Gertrude. | -你还是不知道我名字对吧? -葛楚德 |
[12:28] | – It’s not. – Calls? | -不是 -电话? |
[12:31] | I need to talk to you. | 我需要跟你谈谈 |
[12:32] | This estate-tax repeal out of committee is gonna be a thing. | 委员会可能要废除遗产税 |
[12:36] | – I got another thing. – They canceled the meeting yesterday. | -我还有一件事 -他们昨天取消会议 |
[12:39] | We think the House Republicans are gonna try to repeal the tax. | 我们猜想众议院的共和党员 可能要废除遗产税 |
[12:43] | The Pacers played the Cleveland Cavaliers last night. | 溜马队昨晚 跟克利夫兰骑士队比赛 |
[12:45] | – Really? Who won? – Indiana by five in double overtime. | -真的?谁赢? -印第安那在延长赛赢了5分 |
[12:49] | Now the repeal of the estate tax seems somehow insignificant. | 废除遗产税的事似乎不太重要了 |
[12:53] | – Can I stick this in? – Yeah. | -我可以放这片带子吗? -请 |
[13:02] | – You paying attention? – Yeah. | -你有在听吗? -有 |
[13:06] | – Does this thing work? – No. | -这机器能用吗? -不能 |
[13:09] | Okay. If it did, you’d see Victor Campos sitting courtside with Buckland. | 好吧,如果有用,你会看到 维克特甘波跟巴克兰坐在场边 |
[13:15] | – Campos took some courtside seats? – He traveled from L.A. to Indianapolis… | -甘波会去坐场边? -他从洛杉矶飞到印第安那波里 |
[13:19] | …to watch Cleveland and Indiana. | 去看克利夫兰跟印第安那打球 |
[13:21] | They don’t travel from Cleveland to Indianapolis to watch that. | 没有人从克利夫兰 飞到印第安那波里看球赛 |
[13:25] | I don’t care if they let Campos play point guard. | 就算他们让甘波当控球后卫 我也不在乎 |
[13:28] | He loves the president. He got the California primary for him. | 他爱总统 他帮他赢得加州初选 |
[13:31] | – He’s dating Buckland now. – Because they went to a game? | -他现在却跟巴克兰约会 -只因为他们去看球赛? |
[13:34] | The president’s Community Empowerment Board? | 总统的公共事务理事会? |
[13:37] | It runs the president’s initiative to steer private investment jobs to inner cities? | 那是总统的初步政策 带动内地城市的私人投资? |
[13:42] | – Yes. – This commission is his dream come true. | -对 -加入这个委员会是他的梦想成真 |
[13:44] | – We gave him a seat on it. – And he turned you down. | -我们为他保留席次 -他却辜负了你 |
[13:50] | He turned you down. | 他辜负了你 |
[13:53] | – When? – Shortly after… | -何时? -就在 |
[13:55] | The game ended in double overtime. Damn it! | 延长赛结束时 可恶! |
[13:59] | – Margaret! – Margaret. Margaret. | -玛格丽特! -玛格丽特 |
[14:03] | Yeah. | 好 |
[14:05] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[14:08] | Okay, Jamie, I have to get off. Thanks. | 洁美,我得走了 谢啦 |
[14:11] | – The fire’s at 1500 acres. – Sam, Victor Campos had a meeting… | -火势延烧到1500公亩 -山姆,维克特甘波 |
[14:15] | …with Jack Buckland, then he passed on the Community Empowerment Board. | 跟杰克巴克兰开过会 他不加入公共事务理事会了 |
[14:19] | – Really? – Yeah. What do you think he’s doing? | -真的? -对,你觉得他在做什么? |
[14:22] | Can you set up a meeting for me? | 你可以帮我安排个会议吗? |
[14:24] | – I want one of my people with him. – Why? | -我需要一个我们的人 -为什么? |
[14:27] | – Because I do. – Sam can do this. | -因为我需要 -山姆可以安排 |
[14:29] | I want one of my people there to make sure I get the story straight. | 我需要一个我们的人在场 直接得到消息 |
[14:32] | Sam will report back. | 山姆会回报 |
[14:34] | Sam will have the meeting, one of my people will be there… | 山姆负责开会 我们的人也会在场 |
[14:37] | …and they will report back. | 他们一起回报 |
[14:38] | Time to distinguish the White House from the campaign. | 该是把白宫跟选战分开的时候了 |
[14:41] | – Sam does this for us. – Does he do it right? | -山姆会帮我们谈 -他能胜任吗? |
[14:44] | – Oftentimes. – You guys know I’m sitting here, right? | -大多可以 -你们忘了我还在这儿吧? |
[14:47] | – We’re gonna set up a meeting. – Okay. | -我们会去安排会议 -好 |
[14:51] | And we might want to think about putting this fire out. | 也别忘了考虑灭火的事 |
[14:59] | – Donna? – Don’t touch that stack over there. | -唐娜? -不准碰那一堆 |
[15:01] | – I heard you need help. – That logs all visitors who saw Charlie. | -我听说你需要帮忙 -那一堆是查理的访客纪录 |
[15:06] | You feel like being fixed up with a hot guy? | 你想认识帅哥吗? |
[15:09] | – What did you say? – Cliff Calley. | -你说什么? -克利夫凯利 |
[15:11] | – We went to law school together. – Where does he work? | -我们上同一间法学院 -他在哪工作? |
[15:14] | – He’s cute as hell. – Where does he work? | -他超可爱的 -他在哪里工作? |
[15:16] | – House Ways and Means. – Minority counsel’s office? | -“众议院筹款委员会” -少数族群律师事务所? |
[15:18] | – Not exactly. – Where? | -不完全是 -哪里? |
[15:20] | Well, he works with the minority counsel’s office. | 他跟少数族群律师工作 |
[15:23] | – Ainsley. – For the majority counsel’s office. | -艾金丝莉 -他为主流律师事务所工作 |
[15:25] | – He’s a Republican. – We are the majority. | -他是共和党员 -我们是主流 |
[15:27] | – By a very small margin. – He works in Ways and Means? | -差别不大 -他在筹款委员会? |
[15:30] | – Josh is in a fight with them. – If you’re not comfortable… | -乔西跟他们誓不两立 -如果你不喜欢 |
[15:33] | Josh, who picked me out of nowhere, who works day and night… | 乔西提拔我,辛苦工作 |
[15:36] | …and who hates these people. | 而且恨透了这些人 |
[15:40] | – I don’t know, is he funny? – Yeah. | -我不确定,他有趣吗? -当然 |
[15:43] | – Should I tell him to call you? – If he wants. Phone rings, I answer it. | -要我叫他打电话给你吗? -如果他想,电话响了我会接 |
[15:47] | Could be anybody. Don’t touch that stack! | 任何人都有可能 别碰那一堆! |
[15:51] | I was coming to see you. I’m putting you on Capitol Beat. | 我正要见你 我要你去参加国会质询 |
[15:54] | – The subpoenas. -“Clem Rollins is running…” Listen. | -传唤的事 -“克雷罗林斯正进行”听着 |
[15:57] | “Clem Rollins is running a thorough, fair and impartial investigation. | “克雷罗林斯正进行一场 公正而彻底的调查 |
[16:01] | – He’s a man of integrity.” -“We’re willing to cooperate with him.” | -他是个正人君子” -“我们愿意与他合作” |
[16:04] | “We’re eager to cooperate with him.” | “我们急切希望与他合作” |
[16:07] | Don’t oversell it. | 别过头了 |
[16:11] | I need to bring Campos out here. What do you got? | 我必须跟甘波谈谈 有什么消息? |
[16:14] | They’ll introduce racial profiling. 15-minute op in the garden. | 他们要在花园里 提出种族福利政策,约15分钟 |
[16:17] | Campos has 48 pictures in the Rose Garden. | 甘波在白宫玫瑰园有48张照片 |
[16:19] | Trade agreements between U.S. and Brazil. | 美国与巴西的贸易纠纷 |
[16:21] | Campos can discuss his objections to the president. | 甘波可以跟总统提出抗议 |
[16:24] | I don’t want to remind people that Campos objects. What else? | 我不想提醒人们甘波会抗议 还有呢? |
[16:30] | – The unveiling of the HELP initiative. – HELP? | -介绍HELP计划 |
[16:32] | Hispanic Education Longevity Program. It lowers the Latino dropout rate. | 西裔子女教育延长计划 能降低拉丁美洲学生的辍学率 |
[16:38] | – You have a killer body, you know that? – In fact, I do. | -你有魔鬼般的身材,你知道吗? -事实上,我知道 |
[16:42] | Good morning. Before I forget… | 早安,在我忘记之前 |
[16:45] | …Victor Campos has been added to the guest list for the unveiling of HELP. | 维克特甘波已经列入 为HELP计划揭幕的访客名单 |
[16:49] | That’s Thursday, day after tomorrow. Mark? | 预计于周四举行,也就是后天 马克? |
[16:51] | Is the White House filing complaints over leaks… | 白宫是否要对特别检察官办公室 泄漏消息一事 |
[16:54] | …from the special prosecutor’s office? – Not that I know. | -提出投诉书? -就我所知没有 |
[16:57] | Oliver Babish and Mr. Rollins have had productive conversations about that. | 奥力佛巴比西与罗林斯先生 曾就此事有过建设性的面谈 |
[17:02] | – Do they speak often? – They’re old friends. | -他们常聊天吗? -他们是老朋友了 |
[17:05] | What was the compromise that was on the table? | 台面上的妥协是什么? |
[17:07] | If your estate’s worth less than a million, you’re exempt. | 如果你的资产少于1百万 就免税 |
[17:10] | The Republicans wanted 5 million, settled on 2 1 /2. | 共和党原本想定为5百万 杀到250万 |
[17:13] | – Seems reasonable. – It wasn’t reasonable. | -蛮合理的 -并不合理 |
[17:15] | Wasn’t in driving distance of reasonable. | 根本一丁点也不合理 |
[17:18] | These people have paid taxes on this money already. | 这些人已经纳过财产税了 |
[17:21] | They paid it in income tax, property tax, capital gains. They gotta pay… | 包括所得税、房地产税 资本税,他们还要付 |
[17:24] | – Don’t say it. – A death tax? | -别说了 -死亡税? |
[17:26] | Ninety-eight percent of estates pay no taxes at all. These people are loaded. | 98%的房地产根本不必纳税 一般平民却要负担 |
[17:30] | They can afford the tax so it should be levied? | 他们付得起,就应该纳吗? |
[17:33] | If we spend millions on tax breaks, we should spend it on people… | 如果我们要在减税上花几百万 就该把钱花在 |
[17:36] | …who don’t have millions. | 没有几百万的人身上 |
[17:37] | – Million dollars isn’t what it used to be. – They don’t make good yachts anymore. | -百万已经不如从前好用了 -对啊,不够盖艘豪华游艇 |
[17:45] | – What did they say? – The meeting won’t be rescheduled. | -他们怎么说? -会议时间不会重定 |
[17:48] | – How do they know? – Legislative Affairs has it… | -他们怎么知道? -立法院从 |
[17:51] | …from three rural House Democrats that Ways and Means is trolling for votes. | 3个众议院民主党员得知 拨款委员会正在拉拢选票 |
[17:55] | – On a complete repeal? – Yeah. | -完全废除? -对 |
[18:05] | Screw it. We went from a million to 2.5. What if we throw in…? | 可恶,我们从1百万退到2倍半 如果我们从? |
[18:08] | I’m saying, maybe we expand the compromise… | 我是说,如果我们再退一步 |
[18:10] | – They won’t reschedule. – How do we know…? | -他们不会重新开会 -我们怎么知道? |
[18:12] | Because it’s not about the estate tax. | 因为那跟遗产税无关 |
[18:17] | They want what they want, and they can get what they want now. | 他们可以予取予求 而且随时随地都可以 |
[18:21] | The meeting’s not gonna be rescheduled. | 会议不重开了 |
[18:25] | – What do you think? – I can tell you what he thinks. | -你觉得呢? -我可以告诉你他在想什么 |
[18:28] | He thinks we roll with it. He thinks a president can’t be against tax cuts… | 他知道我们必须忍下去 他知道总统在竞选年 |
[18:32] | …in an election year. Since our key districts have farms… | 不能反对减税 因为我们的关键州有田地 |
[18:36] | …that are gonna be inherited, we have to… . | 要继承给下一代 我们必须 |
[18:40] | He thinks we roll with it. | 他认为我们会忍下去 |
[18:47] | I think… | 我认为 |
[18:49] | …he should take out the A-bomb. | 他应该拆除这颗原子弹 |
[18:51] | He’s gotta do something he’s never done before. | 他必须做点他从没做过的事 |
[18:54] | Think I’m weak? How about I shove Article 1, Section 7 up your ass? | 把我当病猫? 我把减税条款塞进你屁眼如何? |
[18:58] | Screw the compromise. | 去他的妥协 |
[19:01] | I think he’s gotta veto. | 我认为他必须否决 |
[19:15] | Toby, I just… | 托比,我只是 |
[19:17] | …don’t know on how many fronts we can fight a war. | 不知道我们的战场能有多广 |
[19:26] | You wanna find out? | 你想开战吗? |
[19:30] | Yeah. | 想 (星期三) |
[19:54] | C.J.! | 茜洁! |
[19:59] | We had a meeting at OEOB. We were gonna come by and see you. | 我们在旧行政大楼开会 想顺便来找你 |
[20:02] | – There’s some concern on the Hill. – About what? | -国会成员有人担心 -担心什么? |
[20:04] | The last couple of days, the press has been soft on Rollins. | 过去几天 媒体对罗林斯软化多了 |
[20:07] | Particularly with regard to his relationship to the White House. | 尤其在他跟白宫的关系上 |
[20:11] | – And there’s concern? – Democrats worry Republicans… | -有哪些担忧? -民主党担心共和党 |
[20:13] | …will use this as an excuse to start their own hearings early. | 会把这件事当成借口 提早举办自己的公听会 |
[20:17] | We’re saying, if the White House could seem less eager to cooperate… | 我们希望 如果白宫能看起来不要太合作 |
[20:20] | …a little less confident in his integrity. – Yeah. | -对他抱点疑心 -好 |
[20:23] | And if you could, downplay his friendship with Babish. | 对他跟巴比西的友谊 低调一点 |
[20:27] | – Have a good night. – You too. | -晚安 -你也是 |
[20:36] | – How’d the call with the governor go? – Not well. | -你跟州长的谈话如何? -不太理想 |
[20:38] | – Why not? – He’s demanding we put the fire out. | -为什么? -他要求我们灭火 |
[20:41] | The president tried to calm him, but he accused us of advocating… | 总统试着安抚他 但是他指控我们提倡 |
[20:44] | …”fringe environmental policies.” – Are we? | -“边缘环保政策” -我们有吗? |
[20:47] | It’s not clear. But, for the moment, “they had a productive conversation. | 并不明确,但是目前 “他们已有建设性的谈话 |
[20:51] | He’ll monitor with the Secretary of the Interior.” | 总统会跟内政部秘书长 持续监控火势” |
[20:54] | Excuse me. You need a haircut. | 不好意思,你该剪头发了 |
[20:56] | – Shouldn’t you be keeping me out of jail? – I’m on break. | -你不是应该阻止我犯罪吗? -我正在休息 |
[20:59] | – You wanted to see me? – You did well on Capitol Beat. | -你想见我? -你在国会谘询上做得很好 |
[21:03] | Babish and Rollins wrote a paper together for the Yale Law Review. | 巴比西跟罗林斯在 《耶鲁法学评论》上合写一篇论文 |
[21:06] | – You should get it out there. – Yeah, the problem is… | -你应该把它找出来 -问题是 |
[21:09] | …I can’t just make copies. – What do you need? | -我不能直接影印 -你需要什么? |
[21:12] | Get with one of your friends in the press room from a conservative paper. | 从你的媒体朋友里 找一个来自保守报社的人 |
[21:15] | – You think we have a secret handshake? – Do you? | -你认为我们有秘密来往? -有吗? |
[21:18] | – Yes. – Get along with this guy. Off the record… | -有 -好好跟他来往,告诉他 |
[21:20] | …say you can’t believe the president claims to waive executive privilege… | 你不敢相信 总统说要放弃行政特权 |
[21:24] | …yet reserves the right to withhold documents. Can you do that? | 却保留压制文件的权利 你办得到吗? |
[21:27] | “I can’t believe the president claims to waive executive privilege… | “我不敢相信 总统说要放弃行政特权 |
[21:30] | …yet withholds certain documents.” – Do it quietly. Kind of shake your head. | -却保留压制文件的权利” -小声说,稍微摇头 |
[21:35] | “I can’t believe the president claims to waive executive…” | “我不敢相信 总统说要放弃行政特权” |
[21:38] | – Just shake your head at the beginning. -“I can’t believe how…” | -刚开始的时候摇头就行了 -“我不敢相信” |
[21:41] | – Okay, but think about… – I’ve got it. | -好,但试着 -我懂了 |
[21:53] | Charlie. | 查理 |
[21:57] | – Yes, sir. – Are we out of pens? | -是的,长官 -我们没有笔了吗? |
[22:03] | That’s a good pen. I need an everyday pen. | 那是一只钢笔 我需要一只平常用的 |
[22:05] | – I’ve got pens. – You got crappy pens. | -我有笔 -你的笔不好写 |
[22:07] | I need a solid pen that feels good in my hand… | 我需要好握的硬笔 |
[22:10] | …but it’s not so formal I feel like a dandy. | 但不要太正式 让我觉得太夸耀 |
[22:12] | I’m making some trips to pen stores, aren’t I? | 要我去书店找笔吗? |
[22:15] | I used to have the perfect pens every day in my pocket. | 我以前每天往口袋一摸 就能找到完美的好笔 |
[22:18] | I loved those pens. Balance. Great action. Paper soaked up the ink. | 我爱死那些笔了,性能好 墨水完全被纸张吸收 |
[22:21] | What happened to those? Do they make them anymore? | 那些笔都去哪了? 工厂都不制造了吗? |
[22:24] | – I kept that company in business. – Sir, when do you think… | -我故意让他们继续经营 -长官,你何时才要 |
[22:27] | …you’ll interview to replace Mrs. Landingham? | 面试新人 代替已故蓝丁汉太太的职缺? |
[22:29] | – I haven’t gotten to it. – The office would set the meetings. | -我还没想过 -办公室可以安排会议 |
[22:33] | – Maybe we’d bring in a headhunter… – Is there a rush on this? | -也许我们可以找猎头公司 -有这么急吗? |
[22:37] | – You need a secretary, sir. – I have five… | -您需要秘书,长官 -我有5个秘书了 |
[22:39] | …to say nothing of the Secretaries of State, Defense, Treasury and Education. | 我还有国务院、国防部、财政部 跟教育部秘书长 |
[22:44] | Things are getting missed. Everyone’s been trying to cover… | 事情常常丢三忘四 大家都手忙脚乱 |
[22:47] | …but things get missed. – Things have been fine. | -事情一团乱 -一切都很好 |
[22:50] | I’ll have dinner and be back in the office after. | 我要去吃晚餐 吃完就回办公室 |
[22:54] | – You getting dinner? – In the mess. | -你吃过了吗? -吃过了 |
[22:55] | I’ll see you later. | 待会见 |
[22:58] | – Mr. President? – Yeah? | -总统先生? -什么事? |
[23:02] | She put the pen in your pocket. | 是她把笔放进你口袋里 |
[23:05] | Every morning, she slipped it in there. | 每天早上,她都会把笔放进去 (白宫准备合作) |
[23:23] | – How you doing? – Good. How about you? | -你好吗? -很好,你呢? |
[23:26] | Good. | 很好 |
[23:28] | The thing about me is, I’m a brilliant political mind. | 关于我这个人 我有绝顶聪明的政治头脑 |
[23:31] | – Yeah? – Ph.D. in political economy from Oxford. | -什么? -我是牛津大学的政经博士 |
[23:33] | Not easy. Bruno and Doug know I can handle tough meetings. | 很不简单,布鲁诺跟道格 知道我能处理棘手的会议 |
[23:36] | That’s why they’re sending me with you to meet Campos. | 所以他们才派我 跟你去见甘波 |
[23:39] | – I have an exceptional mind. – But? | -我有非常杰出的头脑 -但是? |
[23:41] | – I don’t know who Victor Campos is. – Yeah. | -我不知道维克特甘波是谁 -是喔 |
[23:44] | Look, pal, I went to Oxford, okay? Which is in England. | 听着,伙计,我去过牛津好吗? 在英国 |
[23:47] | – You weren’t kidding about that mind. – Sam. | -你说头脑的事是真的 -山姆 |
[23:49] | – England’s in Europe, right? – Sam. | -英国在欧洲,对吧? -山姆 |
[23:51] | He’s the head of the AFSE: | 他是AFSE的主席 |
[23:53] | American Federation of Service Employees, Local 1262. | 服务业全美联盟,本地代表 |
[23:57] | He’s the head of a local? And he rates a meeting with a senior staffer? | 他只是地区代表 却能左右资深幕僚的会议? |
[24:00] | A Democrat can’t get elected in California without him. | 民主党员没有他 在加州不可能选得上 |
[24:03] | He can pick up the phone and have 5000 people at your rally. | 他只要打通电话 就能号召5千人参加集会 |
[24:07] | He’s got state-of-the-art voter mobilization… | 他能灵活动员大批选举人 |
[24:09] | …and plays massive room with computer banks tracking voter registration. | 拥有最先进的电脑技术 追踪选举人的纪录 |
[24:13] | With his endorsement comes 350,000 calls, callbacks, mailings and e-mails. | 他的背书能带来35万通电话 邮件跟电子邮件 |
[24:18] | Is there anything in particular I should do at this meeting? | 会议中 有什么事需要我帮忙吗? |
[24:22] | Don’t get in my way. | 别挡我的路 |
[24:46] | Taxi! | 计程车! |
[24:57] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[24:59] | Are you Donna Moss by any chance? | 你该不会是唐娜摩斯吧? |
[25:02] | – Yeah. – I’m Cliff Calley. | -我是 -我是克利夫凯利 |
[25:05] | – I’m sorry I’m late. – No, that’s all right. | -抱歉我迟到了 -不,没关系 |
[25:07] | – Were you waiting long? – No, no, like… . | -你等很久了吗? -不大约有 |
[25:10] | – It was like an hour and a half. – There are these boxes… | -1个小时半 -有好多箱子 |
[25:13] | – I’m sorry? – There are these boxes that l… | -什么? -有好多箱子,我 |
[25:17] | – Doesn’t matter. You were leaving. – No, I’m stretching my legs. | -那不重要,反正你要走了 -不,我只是出来走动 |
[25:20] | – You shouted for a cab. – I like to test them. | -你在叫计程车 -我喜欢测试他们 |
[25:25] | I usually look a lot better than this. I mean, I can look good. | 我平常比现在漂亮很多 我是说,我可以很美的 |
[25:28] | I have no trouble believing that. | 我一点也不怀疑 |
[25:30] | But listen, it sounds like maybe you’re having problems with boxes… | 但你听起来 似乎有些箱子的烦恼 |
[25:34] | …and I know how that can be. So if you’d rather… | 我知道那种事很麻烦的 如果你想 |
[25:36] | – Will you buy me a drink? – Sure. | -可以请我喝杯酒吗? -当然 |
[25:40] | C.J., can you clear up whether the special prosecutor… | 茜洁,你可否澄清 特别检察官是否 |
[25:43] | …can compel the president’s staff to disclose conversations about his MS? | 可以强迫总统的幕僚 公开关于多重硬化症的谈话? |
[25:47] | Executive privilege protects all communications necessary… | 行政特权 可保护所有必要通讯 |
[25:50] | …to enable a president to do his job. But, as I said, the president’s waiving it. | 让总统方便行事 但如我所说,总统会放弃特权 |
[25:56] | Excuse me. I need to follow up on that. | 不好意思 我需要继续问下去 |
[25:58] | How can he claim to waive executive privilege… | 他怎么能宣布放弃行政特权 |
[26:00] | …yet withhold certain documents? Isn’t he just trying to protect himself? | 同时又保护特定文件? 他只是想保护自己吗? |
[26:05] | He’s trying to protect the office of the presidency. | 他是想保护总统办公室机密 |
[26:08] | – Information about national security. – Stop being coy, C.J. | -关于国家安全之情报 -别再含糊其词了,茜洁 |
[26:11] | – I was born this way. – Mr. Rollins won’t be angry… | -我天生如此 -白宫如果扣押文件 |
[26:14] | …if the White House omits documents? | 罗林斯先生不会生气吗? |
[26:16] | If you wanna know what Rollins thinks, read his writings on the subject. | 如果你们想知道罗林斯的想法 就去读他对这个主题写的文章 |
[26:21] | He was a University of Chicago Law School professor, and I’m not sure… | 他是芝加哥大学法学院教授 我不确定 |
[26:24] | …you can check me on this, but I think he was editor of the Yale Law Review. | 你们可以去查,但我记得 他是《耶鲁法学评论》的编辑 |
[26:32] | That’s a full lid, everybody. Have a good night. | 今天到此结束,各位 晚安 |
[26:42] | C.J., governor of Wyoming’s been on TV. | 茜洁,怀俄明州长上电视了 |
[26:45] | – Is he mad at us? – Pretty irate. | -他很气我们吗? -怒火冲天 |
[26:47] | – Good irate or…? – He’s irate. | -微怒还是? -他气炸了 |
[26:48] | Circulate a memo to anyone who’s gonna see a microphone. | 把这份备忘录发给所有发言人 |
[26:51] | “The National Fire Plan is based on recommendations from five agencies. | “国家消防计划 是根据5间机构的建议所拟定 |
[26:55] | It clearly states that 80 years of fire suppression hasn’t worked. | 清楚指出 80年的火灾压制无效 |
[26:58] | For centuries, wildfires have been a part of forest ecosystems.” | 过去几个世纪以来 野火一直是森林生态的一部分” |
[27:02] | When things catch fire, it’s not our policy to put it out? | 发生火灾时 我们的政策不是灭火? |
[27:05] | That’s what they shouldn’t say. | 不应该这么说 |
[27:07] | Put that on the memo with a circle and a line through it. | 把那句话放在备忘录里 圈起来再删掉 |
[27:11] | – C.J. – Oliver. | -茜洁 -奥力佛 |
[27:13] | Thank God for LexisNexis. How long until they find the paper I wrote with Rollins? | 感谢论文搜寻系统 你花多久找到我们的论文? |
[27:17] | About an hour. They’ll make their deadlines. | 大约一小时 他们自己有截稿日 |
[27:20] | – You know… – Yeah? | -你知道 -什么事? |
[27:23] | I was gonna say you took a beating the last few months. | 你过去几个月来 受到猛烈的抨击 |
[27:26] | I was wondering if you’re trying to get back in the game with one swing. | 我在想 你是否要尽力回到选战里 |
[27:30] | Is that what you were wondering? Anything else? | 你就是在想这个? 还有吗? |
[27:32] | No. | 没了 |
[27:38] | – What do you know? – We spent a few hours… | -有什么消息? -我们谈了几小时 |
[27:41] | …with the minority whip and some deputies. | 跟一些少数族群秘书 还有一些议员 |
[27:43] | – They have the votes for a repeal? – They have 218 without breaking a sweat. | -他们拿到赞成废除的选票? -轻轻松松拿到218票 |
[27:47] | – It’s 290 to override. – Where are they getting them? | -需要290票才能推翻 -他们从哪里弄到票的? |
[27:49] | Republicans are calling in all hands. | 共和党员全体动员 |
[27:51] | We assume they get the full 226, plus Fayette, Genesee and Trent. | 我猜他们全部可以拿到226票 还有法叶特、吉纳西跟川特 |
[27:55] | – California… – The state I begged you to let secede. | -加州 -我求你让他们脱党的州 |
[27:58] | The entire California delegation wants a compromise… | 加州代表团全体 都希望妥协 |
[28:01] | …otherwise, they vote to repeal. | 否则他们将赞成废除 |
[28:03] | We lose about another 13 votes from rural districts… | 我们在农业地区 失去约13张票 |
[28:06] | …maybe three would switch back if it was close… | 如果票数接近 也许会有3张回流 |
[28:08] | …but they’d get killed next November, and I wouldn’t ask them to do it. | 但他们明年11月会死得很惨 所以我不会要求他们 |
[28:12] | That’s 283. Where are the other seven votes against us? | 一共是283票 另外7张反对我们的票是? |
[28:16] | – That’s the thing. – It’s from inside the Black Caucus. | -问题就在这儿 -来自黑人民权小组内部 |
[28:18] | That’s where the seven votes are. | 那7张就是来自那儿 |
[28:21] | I want you two to see Mark Richardson in the morning. | 我要你们两个明天早上 去见马克理察森 |
[28:24] | – Already set up. – We’ll make a recommendation… | -已经安排好了 -我们会向总统 |
[28:27] | …to the president. He’ll make his decision to fight or live to fight. | 提出建议 让他决定要不要打下去 |
[28:35] | These are members of the Black Caucus. | 这是黑人民权小组成员 |
[28:37] | Can you think of a reason why they’d oppose the estate tax? | 你可以告诉我 他们反对征收遗产税的原因吗? |
[28:41] | – Sure. – What? | -当然 -是什么? |
[28:43] | First generation of black millionaires is about to die. | 第一代的黑人百万富翁 都差不多入土了 |
[28:46] | – Leo. – Is he back? | -里奥 -他回来了? |
[28:48] | – Yeah. – Thanks. | -对 -谢谢 |
[28:55] | Charlie, I’m expecting a call from Bill Horton. | 查理 我正在等比尔霍顿的电话 |
[28:59] | I left the National Fire Plan in the dining room. | 我把国家消防计划 忘在餐厅了 |
[29:01] | – I’ll run up and get it. – Thanks. | -我去拿来 -谢谢 |
[29:36] | Good evening. | 晚安 |
[29:38] | The Governor of Wyoming was 11 /2 inches away… | 怀俄明州长今晚 |
[29:41] | …from calling me a pyromaniac tonight. | 差点就要称呼我为纵火狂了 |
[29:43] | That’s surprising, because we really had respect for him before. | 真令人惊讶 我们从前如此尊敬他 |
[29:46] | I’m saying somewhere out there is a registered voter who’s thinking: | 我在想,在某个地方 一定有个登记选举人在想 |
[29:50] | “I thought I liked this Bartlet fellow. But now I see he’s in favor of fire… .” | “我以为这个巴特勒人还不错 但我现在才知道他喜欢纵火” |
[29:55] | He thinks it’s gonna affect tourism. | 他认为这会影响观光事业 |
[29:57] | It’s the end of the season, and the fire isn’t anywhere near tourists. | 旅游旺季快结束了 而且火势离游客远得很 |
[30:01] | Letting it burn is good for the environment. | 让火延烧对环境有益 |
[30:04] | – You know how I know? – How? | -你知道我怎么知道的吗? -如何? |
[30:06] | Because smart people told me. | 因为有聪明的人告诉我 |
[30:10] | Please, God, Leo, let them be right. | 天啊,里奥,希望他们是对的 |
[30:13] | – When are you talking to Horton? – Any minute. | -你何时要跟霍顿谈? -随时 |
[30:16] | You want me in on the call? | 你要我在线上吗? |
[30:19] | – Yeah. – I’ll be in my office. | -好 -我会在办公室 |
[31:47] | – Why are you a Republican? – I’m sorry? | -你为什么是共和党员? -什么? |
[31:50] | – Why are you a Republican? – Because I hate poor people. | -你为什么是共和党员? -因为我恨穷人 |
[31:53] | I hate them, Donna. They’re all so poor. | 我恨他们,唐娜 他们都好穷 |
[31:57] | And many of them talk funny and don’t have proper table manners. | 说话可笑 餐桌礼节遭透了 |
[32:00] | My father slaved at the Fortune 500 company he inherited… | 我爸继承了一家企业公司 做牛做马 |
[32:03] | …so I could go to Choate, Brown and Harvard… | 所以我才能一路上名门学校 |
[32:06] | …and see that this country isn’t overrun by poor people and lesbians. | 知道这不是个 穷人跟同性恋范滥的国家 |
[32:10] | No. I’m Republican because I believe in smaller government. | 不是的,我是共和党员 因为我相信小政府 |
[32:13] | This country was founded on freedom. Freedom stands opposed to constraints. | 这个国家建立在自由之上 自由与限制相对立 |
[32:17] | The bigger the government, the more the constraints. | 政府越大,限制就愈多 |
[32:19] | – Wow. – You agree with that? | -喔 -你同意吗? |
[32:22] | – No, it’s crap, but you’re really cute. – Yeah, I know. | -不,那是鬼话,但你真可爱 -我知道 |
[32:26] | I had a hunch you did. | 我有预感你会很可爱 |
[32:29] | – Listen, you know who my boss is, right? – I do. | -你知道我老板是谁吧? -我知道 |
[32:32] | He’s one of the point men on this fight over the estate tax. | 他是打这场遗产税战争 的核心人物 |
[32:35] | – The death tax. – He doesn’t call it that. | -死亡税 -他不这么称呼 |
[32:37] | – We’ve been ordered to. There’s a memo. – Right. | -上面命令的,还有备忘录 -对喔 |
[32:41] | Anyway, not to editorialize… | 总而言之,我不是在发表社论 |
[32:43] | …but since we’re fighting for ordinary people… | 但我们在为平民奋斗的同时 |
[32:46] | …while you protect the grotesque wealth of a few… | 你们却保护少数富人的权利 |
[32:49] | …I wasn’t sure if you felt awkward. – Listen, Robin Hood… | -我不知道你是否觉得尴尬 -听着,罗宾汉 |
[32:52] | – It’s not a good tax? – It was, in 1916… | -那不是好税? -在1916年是 |
[32:54] | …when wealth was concentrated and we wanted to prevent… | 当财富过于集中 政府想避免 |
[32:57] | …the emergence of an aristocratic class. However… | 贵族阶级的形成 但是 |
[33:00] | – Says Choate, Brown, Harvard. – Wealth is now spread among… | -据名门子弟所言 -财富现在散布于 |
[33:03] | …farmers, small-business owners, farmers, merchants… | 各行业之中,有农夫、小企业 农夫、商人 |
[33:05] | And did I mention farmers? | 我提过农夫吗? |
[33:07] | So a second date wouldn’t be awkward for you? | 所以第二次约会 对你来说不会尴尬吧? |
[33:14] | This is my last week working for Ways and Means. | 这是我最后一周 在拨款委员会工作了 |
[33:17] | – Really? – I’ve been traded. | -真的? -我被转职了 |
[33:19] | – Where? – House Government Oversight. | -去哪? -众议院监督政府专案 |
[33:21] | – What did they trade you for? – Some toner, I think. | -他们为什么调你去? -当中间人吧,我想 |
[33:24] | – No, I mean why? – I don’t know. | -不,我是说为什么? -我也不知道 |
[33:27] | We got a call from the majority leader’s office. | 我们接到 主要代表办公室的电话 |
[33:29] | They wanted another litigator at Government Oversight. They didn’t… . | 他们希望监督政府专案里 也有一位起诉者 |
[33:35] | – They didn’t say why. – Maybe it was just an oversight. | -他们没说为什么 -也许只是一时失察 |
[33:40] | Oh, come on. “Maybe it was just an oversight”? | 别这样 “也许只是一时失察”? |
[33:43] | I don’t even get a courtesy laugh? | 不能礼貌性笑一下吗? |
[33:46] | – The boxes. – What about them? | -箱子 -箱子怎么了? |
[33:52] | I have to say good night now. | 我必须先说晚安了 (星期四) |
[34:07] | You didn’t bring me out from L.A. to talk about HELP. | 你叫我从洛杉矶赶过来 可不是要讨论HELP专案 |
[34:12] | Victor, I was wondering why you passed on the commission. | 维克特 我不知道你为什么放过委员会 |
[34:15] | You didn’t bring me out here to talk about HELP or the commission. | 你叫我来这里 可不是要谈HELP或委员会 |
[34:20] | You didn’t go to Indiana to watch basketball. | 你也不是去印第安那 看球赛的 |
[34:22] | – It was a good game. – Don’t get cute. | -那场球赛很精采 -别嘻皮笑脸 |
[34:24] | – Watch your mouth. – I don’t think I will, Victor. | -小心你的措词 -很难,维克特 |
[34:26] | We fought a war together. What happened? | 我们曾经一起打选战 你怎么了? |
[34:29] | – You tell me. – You know what? | -你倒是告诉我 -你知道吗? |
[34:31] | The president said he’d ban permanent striker replacement workers, and did. | 总统说会禁止永不录用罢工者法 他做到了 |
[34:34] | Thank you. So the jobs he isn’t shipping overseas will be safe. | 谢谢,这样就能保住 他没转移到海外的工作 |
[34:38] | Who else was for prenatal care for illegal immigrants in lowa? | 是谁为爱荷华非法移民 争取产前医疗福利? |
[34:41] | – That’s not where it’s needed. – He put an empowerment zone… | -那里的人也不需要 -他在帕柯玛设置授权区 |
[34:44] | …in Pacoima and no one has worked harder to raise minimum wage. | 没有人比他更不遗余力 提高最低工资 |
[34:54] | Lowest Latino unemployment in history, small-business loans for Hispanics… | 有史以来最低的拉丁裔失业率 还提供西班牙人小型贷款 |
[34:58] | …the biggest drop in Latino poverty. | 拉丁美洲贫穷度大幅降低 |
[35:00] | That’s what I got in the last election. What do I get in this one? | 那是上次辅选我应得的 这次呢? |
[35:05] | – What happened to loyalty? – Can’t deposit it in a savings account. | -你的忠诚到哪去了? -忠诚不能存进银行 |
[35:11] | – What do I get? – What do you want? | -我得到什么? -你想要什么? |
[35:13] | The Hispanic dropout rate is higher than that of African-Americans. | 西班牙人辍学率比黑人高 |
[35:16] | We’ll double funding for the High School Initiative. | 我们会加倍资助高中就学方案 |
[35:19] | Children who came to the U.S. after welfare reform… | 福利政策改革后 来到美国的儿童 |
[35:22] | – A major push on Hispanic children. – What’s major? | -西班牙儿童会获得补助 -哪种补助? |
[35:25] | He’s gonna mention it in the State of the Union. What else? | 他会在国情咨文里提到 还有什么? |
[35:28] | – Complete amnesty. – No way. | -大赦 -免谈 |
[35:30] | – Victor. – Complete amnesty… | -维克特 -对所有 |
[35:32] | …for all undocumented immigrants from the Americas: Mexico, Chile, El Salvador. | 来自美洲的非法移民实行大赦 包括墨西哥、智利跟萨尔瓦多 |
[35:36] | The Legal Amnesty Fairness Act is in the Senate now. | 参议院正在审查 移民大赦公平法案 |
[35:39] | We can’t back a bill that treats Hispanic immigrants any differently than… | 我们不能保证该法案 能改变西班牙移民的情形 |
[35:43] | – We can’t do it. – Sure, we can. | -我们办不到 -我们当然可以 |
[35:45] | – I’m sorry? – We can do it. | -什么? -我们办得到 |
[35:47] | We really can. | 真的 |
[35:49] | Would you excuse us just a second? | 容我们私下讨论 |
[35:58] | – Hi. – When I said”stay out of my way”… | 我不是说“别挡我的路” |
[36:00] | – It’ll cost you some independents… – So he can expand union membership? | -你会失去无党派支持者 -好扩展他的工会成员? |
[36:03] | And the Democratic Party. Millions of illegal immigrants out of hiding. | 还有民主党 上百万隐匿的非法移民 |
[36:07] | Millions of potential voters who are going to vote for you. | 可能投票给你的 上百万潜在选民 |
[36:10] | Three million in California. That’s 13 percent of the vote, and 19 in Arizona. | 加州有300万人,占13%选票 还有19%在亚利桑那 |
[36:14] | You know the Republican Party will try to outflank us on this. | 你知道共和党会在这种事上面 避开我们 |
[36:18] | It’s right for the president. Why give him a hard time? | 对总统来说这是正确的事 为什么要让他难做人? |
[36:21] | – He’s giving me a hard time. – He’s supposed to. | -是他让我难做人 -那是他该做的 |
[36:23] | You’re weaker than you were three years ago. Have a little humility. | 你的气势比3年前弱 多点幽默感 |
[36:27] | Suck it up and give him what he wants, which will help you in the long run. | 拍拍马屁,给他一点甜头 长远来看对你有好处 |
[36:36] | Victor? | 维克特? |
[36:43] | – What do we get? – Excuse me? | -我们有什么好处? -什么? |
[36:46] | If I go to the president, what do we get? | 如果我跟总统谈 我们有什么好处? |
[36:48] | California and its 435 delegates. | 加州跟435位代表 |
[36:51] | – I shouldn’t have blown up before. – Nobody will know. | -我应该先喝醉 -没人会知道 |
[36:54] | Yeah? | 什么事? |
[36:57] | Loyalty. | 忠诚 |
[37:01] | Josh, you think the Black Caucus votes in a block… | 乔西,你认为黑人民权小组 是秘密投票 |
[37:05] | …and they only care about the system. – Surely, congressman… | -而且只关心官僚系统 -没错,国会议员 |
[37:08] | …the African-American community has better ways to spend 28 billion dollars… | 跟只能嘉惠不到1千个黑人家庭 的减税方案比起来 |
[37:12] | …than a tax break that benefits fewer than 1000 black families. | 非裔美人社团对280亿美金 有更好的打算 |
[37:15] | You’re doing it again. The African-American community… | 你又来了 非裔美人社团 |
[37:19] | …doesn’t think one way about anything. It’s a few members of the Caucus. | 对任何事的看法不只一种 社团里成员众多 |
[37:23] | – That was pretty surprising. – A few members who feel… | -真叫人惊讶 -其中有许多人认为 |
[37:26] | …that African-American homeownership is at its highest level ever… | 非裔美人的房地产占有率 是有史以来最高的 |
[37:29] | …that more African-Americans are opening small businesses than ever. | 自行创业的非裔美人 也达到历史新高 |
[37:33] | If they can’t pass it on, how will they build power, clout and self-sufficiency… | 如果他们不能继承下去 要怎么在社团中 |
[37:38] | …as a community? – A few black millionaires… | -建立权力跟自立能力? -几个百万富翁 |
[37:40] | …justifies a multibillion-dollar boondoggle? | 就能让耗资上千万的公共建设 合理化? |
[37:45] | As long as there’s a Congress, there will be multibillion-dollar boondoggles. | 只要国会还在 上千万的公共建设就会存在 |
[37:50] | We’d like to share in them a little bit, please. | 容我们分一杯羹好吗? |
[37:53] | We’re bleeding here, Mark. | 我们正在失血,马克 |
[37:55] | – What? – We’re bleeding here, for God’s sake. | -什么? -我们正在失血,看在老天份上 |
[37:59] | You can work with us or be ignored by a Republican president. Your choice. | 你可以与我们一同奋战 或被共和党总统冷落,你自己选 |
[38:03] | – How bad is it? – Buckland’s coming after us. | -情况有多糟? -巴克兰紧追在后 |
[38:06] | – He’s been meeting with Victor Campos. – While you guys defend… | -他正在跟维克特甘波搭线 -正当你们 |
[38:09] | …yourselves against special prosecutors and Jack Buckland… | 跟特别检察官分庭抗礼 还有杰克巴克兰 |
[38:12] | …what about the people who got you here? | 又是谁把你们逼到这种地步? |
[38:14] | Who are you talking to, Mark? | 你在说什么,马克? |
[38:17] | We won’t forget failing schools in central cities. | 我们不会忘记自己 辜负了中部城市的学校 |
[38:19] | We won’t forget after-school care, healthcare for uninsured kids. | 我们不会忘记课后辅导 无保险儿童的医疗福利 |
[38:23] | We won’t forget drug treatment, urban redevelopment or community policing. | 我们不会忘记药物条例 社区重建跟守望相助 |
[38:28] | – Yeah? – You can’t forget that we’re bleeding. | -什么? -你不能忘记我们正在失血 |
[38:36] | The Black Caucus doesn’t vote as one mind. I can’t promise anything. | 黑人民权小组在投票上并不团结 我不能做任何担保 |
[38:41] | The veto’s an awfully big risk to take… | 否决是风险极高的赌注 |
[38:44] | …if you can’t promise anything. | 如果你不能担保 |
[38:47] | Then the veto’s an awfully big risk to take. | 那么 否决权的确是风险极高的赌注 |
[38:57] | – Has the fire abated at all? – Not yet. | -火势减缓了吗? -还没 |
[38:59] | – How far has it spread? – 6500 acres. | -延烧情形呢? -6500公亩 |
[39:02] | – So it’s closing in on the boundary? – Yes, sir, Mr. President. | -已经逼近边界了? -是的,总统先生 |
[39:05] | – Not too late to reverse your decision. – Think he should? | -改变决定还不迟 -你认为他应该改变? |
[39:08] | – No. – Why? | -不 -为什么? |
[39:09] | A cold front’s moving in from Alberta with a 50 percent chance of showers. | 有一波冷锋从亚伯达省南移 有50%的降雨率 |
[39:14] | Temperatures have started to drop. | 温度已经开始降低了 |
[39:16] | If the rain reaches Yellowstone by tonight, it’ll be enough to quell the fire. | 如果锋面今晚抵达黄石公园 应该足以压制火势 |
[39:20] | If not, we put it out and the president looks like an idiot for waiting this long. | 如果没有,我们去灭火 总统看起来就会像个干等的白痴 |
[39:24] | But we’ll make sure he looks like an idiot too, right? | 但我们也要确保 他看起来也像个白痴,对吧? |
[39:27] | Yeah. | 对 |
[39:29] | Wyoming’s going to have to have some faith… | 怀俄明必须对内政部 |
[39:31] | …that the Department of the Interior knows what it’s doing. | 有信心 他们知道自己在做什么 |
[39:34] | – Thank you, Mr. Secretary. – Thank you, Mr. President. | -谢谢你,秘书长 -谢谢你,总统先生 |
[39:37] | – Josh. – Yes, sir. | -乔西 -是的,长官 |
[39:40] | – A ballerina? – I didn’t know what it was at the time. | -芭蕾舞者? -我不知道当时自己在想什么 |
[39:45] | – I liked the word. – We’ll go with that for now. | -我喜欢那个字 -我们都喜欢 |
[39:48] | Mr. President, we recommend you threaten to veto… | 总统先生 我们建议您威胁动用否决权 |
[39:51] | …any repeal of the estate tax. | 否决遗产税的废除 |
[39:54] | – Really? – Yes, sir. | -真的? -是的,长官 |
[39:56] | – What happened with Richardson? – No guarantees. | -理察森怎么说? -他不能担保 |
[40:00] | He wants to see what we’re gonna do next. | 他要看看我们下一步怎么做 |
[40:04] | – Let’s make the threat. – You like this? | -我们就来威胁吧 -喜欢吗? |
[40:06] | – Yes, sir. – I thought you don’t oppose a tax cut… | -是的,长官 -我以为在竞选年 |
[40:08] | …in an election year. – Well, let’s be clear. | -您不会反对减税 -我想澄清一下立场 |
[40:11] | We’re not talking about opposing a tax cut. | 我们现在不是反对减税 |
[40:13] | We’re talking about vetoing one. Your first veto ever. | 而是否决免税 这是您首次动用否决权 |
[40:17] | – That’s shooting the moon. – I’ll say. | -简直是拿箭射月亮 -没错 |
[40:20] | I like the bold gesture. I think you gotta get out the stamp. | 我喜欢大动作 该把大章拿出来了 |
[40:23] | You sign it. You don’t do it with a stamp. | 签名就好 不需要盖章 |
[40:27] | – I thought it was a stamp. – Stamp it, then sign it. | -我以为只要盖章 -盖章,然后签名 |
[40:30] | Who gives a damn, sir? This is a tax cut that benefits only 4500 families. | 谁会在乎,长官? 这种免税只能嘉惠4500个家庭 |
[40:34] | It doesn’t matter if most voters don’t benefit. | 如果对大多数选民没有好处 就没关系 |
[40:37] | They all believe that some day they will. | 他们相信自己有一天用的着 |
[40:40] | That’s the problem with the American dream… | 那就是美国梦的问题所在 |
[40:44] | …makes everyone concerned for the day they’re gonna be rich. | 让大家担心自己某天会变有钱 |
[40:49] | The governors of Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and Utah… | 怀俄明、爱达荷 蒙大拿跟犹他州州长 |
[40:53] | …with the Senate majority leader and the speaker of the house… | 还有参议院多数代表 跟众议院发言人 |
[40:56] | …are calling me a fringe environmentalist… | 都称我为边缘环保论者 |
[40:58] | …because I’m listening to the Secretaries of the Interior and Agriculture… | 因为我只听 内政部跟农业部的话 |
[41:03] | …along with the U.S. Forest Service, chief ranger and park superintendent. | 还有美国林务局、 国有森林保育员跟国家公园园长 |
[41:10] | They say letting it burn is good for the environment… | 他们说让森林延烧 对环境有益 |
[41:13] | …and I’m betting on a weather report of all things. | 而我把一切赌在气象预报上 |
[41:16] | It’s just one of those times. | 该是时候了 |
[41:46] | – Do you have a bottle opener? – No. | -你有开瓶器吗? -没 |
[41:48] | – Some men carry those pocketknives. – I don’t. | -有些男人随身携带小刀 -我没有 |
[41:52] | You screwed with a legal proceeding, and used one of my deputies to do it. | 你弄乱了法律程序 还利用我的议员达成目标 |
[41:56] | – I worked the press. – You know… | -我利用媒体 -你知道 |
[41:59] | …there was irony in that Clem Rollins was right for the job. | 这件事说来讽刺 克雷罗林斯却是最适任的人 |
[42:02] | – Think I care? – You think because the White House… | -你想我在乎吗? -你以为让白宫 |
[42:04] | …feels more comfortable in an ugly fight that means we’ll win it? | 在这场丑陋的战争中高高在上 就代表我们能够获胜吗? |
[42:08] | – Anybody have a bottle opener? – Josh? | -有谁有开瓶器? -乔西? |
[42:11] | – Yeah. – Which committee had jurisdiction? | -什么事 -哪一个委员会有审判权? |
[42:13] | – For the hearings? – Was it Judiciary? | -公听会? -司法部吗? |
[42:15] | Thomas’ committee wanted it, so the majority leader… | 汤玛斯的委员会想争取 多数代表 |
[42:18] | – Thomas’ committee is…? – Government Reform and Oversight. | -汤玛斯的委员会是? -政府改造与监督委员会 |
[42:21] | – Volume! – Next year’s an election year… | -开声音! -明年是选举年 |
[42:23] | … and in some states, the voting starts in a few months. | 在某些州 选举将在几个月后展开 |
[42:26] | People deserve answers now and not at the snail’s pace… | 人民现在就要答案 杰德巴特勒自己选的 |
[42:30] | … of Jed Bartlet’s handpicked prosecutors. | 检察官所领导的调查过慢 |
[42:34] | I am announcing that the Reform and Oversight Committee… | 我在此宣布 改革与监督委员会 |
[42:37] | … will be gaveled to session to conduct immediate hearings… | 已敲定举行公听会的日期 |
[42:40] | … of possible use of taxpayer resources… | 调查任何公权力的滥用 |
[42:43] | – Come and get us. – … to defraud the public. | -来抓我们啊 -欺瞒大众 |
[42:45] | It is time to put an end to this White House’s abuse of power. | 该是阻止白宫滥用权力的时候了 |
[42:49] | It is time for this White House to answer the American people. | 该是白宫 给人民一个交代的时候了 |