时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | You have to ask a girl out on a date. | 你得开始约女孩子出去 |
[00:09] | You can’t just randomly tumble into a girl sideways… | 你不可以老是 在女孩子旁边出没 |
[00:12] | …and hope she breaks up with you. – Why not? | -然后希望被她甩掉 -有何不可? |
[00:14] | She goes out with guys. Are you jealous? | 她跟男生出去约会 你嫉妒吗? |
[00:16] | – No. – See? | -不会 -看吧? |
[00:18] | – I don’t get jealous. – Gather ye rosebuds. | -我才不会嫉妒 -快去追她吧 |
[00:20] | Donna, I’m not gonna knock on her door. | 唐娜,我才不要去敲她的门 剧名:库马的女人 |
[00:28] | Katie. | 凯蒂 |
[00:29] | C.J., do you know anything about the president being sued? | 茜洁,你知道 总统被告的事吗? |
[00:32] | Sued? | 被告? |
[00:34] | It was in the Rocky Mountain Bugler. | 这件事刊在 《落矶山号手报》上 |
[00:36] | -Bugle. -Rocky Mountain Bugle. | -《号角报》 -《落矶山号角报》 |
[00:37] | -Herald. -Rocky Mountain Herald. | -《先锋报》 -《落矶山先锋报》 |
[00:39] | – The president being sued? – Unless this person was making it up. | -总统被告? -除非这家伙编出来的 |
[00:43] | All right, that’s all, everybody, I’ll see you at 5. | 好吧,今天先到此结束 我们5点见 |
[00:45] | – Thank you, C.J. | – Thank you, C.J. -谢谢,茜洁 -谢谢,茜洁 |
[00:48] | You haven’t heard anything, have you? | 你没听过这件事吧? |
[00:50] | – What? – The president being sued. | -什么? -总统被告 |
[00:53] | – It’s the News, isn’t it? – What…? | -刊在《新闻》上对吧? -什么? |
[00:55] | The Rocky Mountain News. | 《落矶山新闻》 |
[00:56] | There’s a veterans’ group talking about not showing up for the anniversary. | 有一个荣民团体说 他们不会参加今年的周年庆 |
[01:00] | – Which group? – I don’t know. | -什么团体? -我不知道 |
[01:02] | – Why aren’t they? – They’re talking about it. | -他们为什么不来? -他们正在讨论 |
[01:04] | – Why? – I don’t know. | -为什么? -我不知道 |
[01:06] | Do you know about the president being sued? | 你知道总统被告的事吗? |
[01:08] | Katie Witt thinks there was an item in the Rocky Mountain News. | 凯蒂伟特在《落矶山新闻》 看到这则报导 |
[01:11] | – Thought it was the Bugler. – It’s not. | -我以为是《号手报》 -并不是 |
[01:13] | I don’t know anything about it. | 我完全不知情 |
[01:15] | Ginger. | 金洁 |
[01:16] | Have you set up a meeting for me? With the veterans’ group? | 你帮我安排好 跟荣民团体的会议了吗? |
[01:19] | The one that’s talking about not coming? You haven’t, have you? | 说不要来的那一个? 你还没办好对吧? |
[01:23] | – But you will. – Yes. | -但是你会吧? -对 |
[01:24] | Sam. | 山姆 |
[01:25] | The president’s being sued? | 总统被告? |
[01:27] | – You get this from the Rocky Mountain? – Got it from the DOJ. Civil Division. | -你从《落矶山》看来的? -从司法部听来的,民事部门 |
[01:31] | Three months ago, at a fundraiser, the president was asked about air bags. | 三个月前,在一场募款会上 总统被问到安全气囊的事 |
[01:35] | Someone suggested they’re dangerous. | 有人建议说它们很危险 |
[01:37] | The president says, I’m quoting: | 总统当时说 |
[01:39] | “Everything has risks. You could drive into a lake… | “所有事都有风险 你有可能开进湖里 |
[01:42] | …your seat belt jams. No one says, ‘Don’t wear a seat belt. ‘” | 安全带却把你卡住 却没有人说:别上安全带” |
[01:45] | Oh, please don’t tell me! | 拜托! |
[01:47] | That someone thought that’s what he was saying? | 别告诉我有人又误会 他说这些话的意思了吧? |
[01:49] | A couple got into an accident, he wasn’t wearing a seat belt, he died. | 某个募款人遇到意外 他没上安全带,死了 |
[01:53] | – She’s suing for contributory negligence. – Can’t sue the president. | -罪名是分担过失责任 -你不能告总统 |
[01:56] | Lawyers get rich trying to. | 律师就靠这种事赚钱 |
[01:58] | – We should do something preemptive. – It’s no big deal. | -我们必须先发制人 -这没什么大不了的 |
[02:01] | Isn’t that what we say before something becomes a big deal? | 每次我们这么说 事情不就开始越滚越大? |
[02:04] | – Good morning, sir. – Good morning, Mr. President. | -早安,长官 -早安,总统先生 |
[02:06] | Come with me for a second, would you? | 麻烦跟我走一趟好吗? |
[02:09] | It’s possible you’re gonna hear stuff about seat belts today. | 你今天可能会听到很多 关于安全带的事 |
[02:12] | – I urge you to ignore it. – No problem. | -我建议您忽视它 -没问题 |
[02:14] | You straightening things out with the Smithsonian? | 你把事情跟史密森学会讲明了? |
[02:17] | I’m to speak at an exhibit marking the 60th anniversary of Pearl Harbor… | 我要在一场珍珠港60周年纪念 的展览会上发言 |
[02:21] | …but a small veterans’ group objects on the grounds that it’s America-bashing. | 但有一群荣民在现场抗议 因为展览过于批判美国 |
[02:26] | – I thought you liked America-bashing. – I wouldn’t say that. | -我以为你喜欢批判美国 -我可不会说出来 |
[02:30] | – What would you say? – I wouldn’t. | -你会说什么? -我不会说 |
[02:32] | – Sir, you needed me? – Frank, what was added? | -长官,有事吗? -法兰克,有什么新情报吗? |
[02:35] | Hutchinson said two F-117 strike fighters have been added to the package. | 杭奇森说有两架F117战机 已经加进条件里 |
[02:40] | – This is Qumar? – Yeah. | -是库马吗? -对 |
[02:42] | That means the total is 15 AMRAAMs, 50 M1-A1 s, 10 F-15s… | 所以总共是15枚空对空飞弹 50架M1-A1、10架F15 |
[02:48] | …the two F-117 strike fighters and the PAC-3 missile. | 还有两架F117战机 跟PAC3飞弹 |
[02:51] | There’s no way I’ll remember that. Can you send somebody a memo? | 我绝不可能全部记住 可以请人帮我写份备忘录吗? |
[02:54] | – This is in exchange for a five-year… – Ten-year lease agreement. | -以交换五年的 -十年的租约 |
[02:58] | The point is that we’ve dotted the I’s and we’re ready to announce. | 重点是我们已经同意 也准备好要公布了 |
[03:02] | – I’ll let C.J. know. – But have her pass it off to the DOD. | -我会通知茜洁 -但是请她传到国防部 |
[03:06] | – You wanna bury it? – Not totally, but… | -你想偷偷进行? -不完全是,不过 |
[03:09] | Passing it off to another department… | 把它送到另一个部门 |
[03:11] | …is signaling we don’t want the public to care. | 就是代表我们不希望 大众关注 |
[03:13] | Every time we make one of these deals with a place like Qumar… | 每次我们跟库马这种地方 缔结秘密协议 |
[03:17] | …I feel the women around here look at me funny. | 我都觉得女助理们 认为我很奇怪 |
[03:20] | – You’re wrong about that. – You think it’s just guilt? | -那你就错了 -你觉得这只是罪恶感? |
[03:23] | – Yes, sir. – Well, how should I deal with guilt? | -对,长官 -那我应该如何处理罪恶感? |
[03:26] | Be more like me. | 多学我 |
[03:28] | – Yeah, okay. – Anything else, sir? | -是啊,好吧 -还有事吗,长官? |
[03:30] | – C.J. ‘s gonna be cool with this? – She’s who you’re worried about? | -茜洁没问题吧? -你担心的人是她? |
[03:33] | She knows who the good guys are, right? | 她知道谁是好人 对吧? |
[03:35] | – Okay, thanks. – Thank you. | -好吧,谢谢 -谢谢 |
[03:37] | What’s next? | 还有什么事? 片名:白宫风云 演出:罗伯洛 演出:施塔科钱宁 演出:杜希尔 演出:艾莉森詹尼 演出:珍妮尔摩隆奈 演出:里察薛福 演出:约翰史宾塞 演出:布雷迪威佛德 演出:马丁辛 片名:白宫风云 |
[04:31] | Could I get five minutes without being interrupted by banality? | 可以给我五分钟 不受琐事打扰吗? |
[04:34] | – It’s not banality. It’s the boss’s wife. – Good morning, ma’am. | -不是琐事,是老板娘 -早安,夫人 |
[04:39] | – Little heads up wouldn’t be out of line. – I said,”Josh.” | -你就不能提醒一下吗? -我说了“乔西” |
[04:42] | Yeah. What can I do for you, ma’am? | 有什么需要效劳之处吗,夫人? |
[04:44] | – I got a letter from Amy Gardner. – I was cc’d on that. | -我收到艾咪嘉纳的信 -我也收到副本 |
[04:47] | – She seems pretty irate. – Amy Gardner’s always irate. | -她好像很火大 -艾咪嘉纳总是很火大 |
[04:50] | – I wouldn’t give it a lot of thought. – I agree with her. | -我不会想太多 -但我同意她 |
[04:53] | – Me too. I think it deserves thought. – I thought you might. | -我也是,我想这件事蛮严重的 -我想也是 |
[04:56] | – I was kidding. – I don’t care. | -我只是开玩笑 -我不在乎 |
[04:57] | It was cosigned by NOW, the Women’s Action League, and 10 women’s groups. | 那是由妇女行动联盟联名签署的 还有10个妇女团体 |
[05:02] | – I’ve gotta go to Vienna next week. – Honestly, ma’am, due respect… | -我下周要去维也纳 -说实话,夫人,恕我冒犯 |
[05:06] | …they’re overreacting. We’re talking about one word. | 她们只是反应过度了 那只是一个字 |
[05:08] | That dramatically alters the effectiveness of the treaty? | 一个字就能戏剧化地 改变合约的效力? |
[05:12] | I don’t know how dramatically. | 我不知道有多戏剧化 |
[05:13] | The current draft says “forced prostitution”… | 目前的草稿上说 “强迫卖淫” |
[05:16] | …excluding other types of prostitution and sex trafficking? | 不包括其他卖淫形式 与性交易? |
[05:19] | – I suppose that’s for prosecutors… – Well, Amy says… | -我认为那是起诉者 -艾咪说 |
[05:22] | …that unless the U.N. removes the word”forced”… | 除非联合国移除该字 “强迫” |
[05:25] | …it’s gonna be difficult to prosecute at all. | 否则将很难起诉任何人 |
[05:28] | – You’ve spoken with her? – Yes. And I’d like you to do the same. | -你跟她谈过了? -对,我希望你也能跟她谈 |
[05:31] | God. Really? | 老天,不会吧? |
[05:35] | See? Now you’re wishing it’d been banality. | 看吧?你现在希望是琐事了吧 |
[05:37] | Yes, I am. | 对,没错 |
[05:39] | – Have a good day. – Thank you, ma’am. | -祝你有美好的一天 -谢谢,夫人 |
[05:43] | Thanks for waiting. | 抱歉让各位久等 |
[05:44] | These are Drs. Bedrosian and Califf. This is Leo McGarry. | 这两位是贝多西与凯利夫博士 这位是里奥马加瑞 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 |
[05:48] | – How you doing? – Fine. | -各位还好吧? -很好 |
[05:50] | – Why are we here? – A herd of cattle in Ogallala, Nebraska… | -有什么事吗? -在内布拉斯加有一群牛 制片:亚力克葛拉夫斯 |
[05:53] | …was accidentally given banned feed and quarantined 18 months ago. | 大约在18个月前 被意外禁食并隔离 |
[05:56] | One of the cattle showed neurological damage. | 有一头牛出现神经损害 |
[05:58] | It was unable to stand, called a downer cow. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 他无法站立 又称作“倒牛” |
[06:01] | Tissue was sent to NVSL in Ames, lowa, for the first round of tests. | 其组织被送往爱荷华 兽医研究室作初步测试 |
[06:04] | – Another sample was sent to the U.K. – And? | -另一份样本被送到英国 -然后呢? |
[06:08] | The first round of lowa tissue showed a presumptive positive. | 爱荷华的初步化验显示 假定阳性 |
[06:12] | – Mad Cow? – We don’t know that. | -狂牛症? -我们还不知道 |
[06:14] | – But we think? – We have to wait for the U.K. tests. | -但有可能是? -必须等英国测试出来 制片:李维林威尔斯 |
[06:19] | Worst-case scenario? | 最糟的情形是什么? |
[06:20] | We declare a national emergency and a Class-1 recall on consumer beef. | 宣布全国紧急状况 及消费用牛肉等级1回收 |
[06:24] | We’ve tested over 12,000 samples, and none of them have come up positive. | 编剧:艾伦索金 我们已测试1万2千组样本 没有一个是阳性 |
[06:28] | – 12,000 out of how many nationally? – Forty million adult cattle. | -全国牛只总数呢? -四千万只成牛 |
[06:34] | Somebody needs to teach me about this. | 找个人来教我这些事 |
[06:37] | We need a response to Kendall in the Weekly Standard. | 我们必须回应坎德尔 在《旗帜周刊》上说的话 |
[06:40] | What did he say? | 他说了什么? |
[06:41] | “Our education re-authorization bill has more pork than a pig-picking festival.” | “我们的教育再授权法案的 猪肉比挑猪大会还多” 导演:亚力克葛拉夫斯 |
[06:44] | A”pig-picking festival”? | “挑猪大会”? |
[06:46] | I’m in favor of English being the national language. | 我赞成使用英文为国际语言 |
[06:49] | It’s worth knowing he’s pushing for four new schools, one of which is… | 他正在推行四所新学校 其中有一所 |
[06:53] | – Named after him? – Yes. | -以他命名? -对 |
[06:54] | Thank you, Santa. How about…? | 谢谢圣诞老公公,我的回应是 |
[06:56] | “It’s hard to get at the pork when the chairman’s hogging the trough.” | “如果主席老占着饲料槽不放 其他人也抢不到猪肉” |
[07:00] | – That’s why he gets all the great women. – What else? | -那也是他左右逢源的原因 -还有什么事? |
[07:03] | Be briefed on the arms sale to Qumar. The Pentagon leaked it. | 我刚听完库马军售简报 五角大厦泄漏出去的 |
[07:06] | Qumar? In the Gulf? | 库马?在波湾? |
[07:08] | – Is there another one? – No. | -还有另一个库马在其他地方吗? -没了 |
[07:09] | We lease an air base in Qumar. Lease is up… | 我们在库马租了一个基地 租约到期 |
[07:12] | …and they won’t renew without an arms package. | 如果我们不卖武器 他们就不愿意续租 |
[07:15] | When did we make an arms deal with Qumar? | 我们何时开始 跟库马做买卖? |
[07:17] | – What does it matter? | – What does it matter? -那有什么重要的? -那有什么重要的? |
[07:20] | – Yeah. – What are we selling? | -是啊 -我们卖了什么? |
[07:22] | – Don’t start. – What are we selling? | -别问 -我们卖了什么? |
[07:24] | – What are we selling? – Fifteen AMRAAMs, 50 M1-A1 tank kits… | -我们卖了什么? -15架空对空飞弹、50辆坦克 |
[07:28] | …10 F-15s and Patriot missiles for 1.5 billion and they renew the lease. | 10架F-15战机跟爱国者飞弹 总价15亿美元,还有续约 |
[07:31] | Don’t start? What the hell…? | 别再说了,搞什么鬼? |
[07:35] | – Anything else? – No. | -还有事吗? -没了 |
[07:37] | – Thank you. – Thank you, C.J. | -谢谢 -谢谢,茜洁 |
[07:41] | – This is how it starts. – What? | -事情就是这样开始的 -什么? |
[07:43] | – Trouble. This is how trouble starts. – Seat belts? | -麻烦,麻烦就是这样开始的 -安全带? |
[07:46] | Contributory negligence in wrongful death is the tort equivalent of murder. | 分担过失责任意外致死 法律上同等于谋杀 |
[07:49] | And aren’t lawsuits against the president the tort equivalent of insane? | 难道控诉总统 法律上不也等同于心智失常? |
[07:53] | Like the guy suing the president to stop CIA radio transmissions in his bridgework? | 就像有人告总统在他造的桥里 传送中央情报局无线通讯一样? |
[07:58] | Or the guy suing to get the man from planet Xanadu removed from his yard? | 或有人告来自山那度星球的人 滚出他的后院? |
[08:02] | – That’s not local? – It’s federal. | -那不是本地案件? -联邦案件 |
[08:04] | There’s the couple suing for repayment of all back taxes, ever… | 还有人告政府要它还税 |
[08:07] | …because taxes are unconstitutional. – They are. | -因为纳税是违宪的 -的确是 |
[08:10] | – Sam. – They’re not. | -山姆 -并不是 |
[08:11] | The bow-tie manufacturer from the Garment District… | 服装业的蝴蝶形领结制造商 |
[08:14] | …who blames the falling market on the president not wearing bow ties. | 怪市场萧条是因为 总统不戴蝴蝶形领结 |
[08:19] | There’s a reason the Civil Division gave us a heads up. | 民事部门警告我们是有原因的 |
[08:22] | This one could break. One random comment, and that’s the ball game. | 这次事件可能会很严重 一次的批判会左右选情 |
[08:26] | You think murder is gonna overtake education and health care? | 你认为谋杀比教育或医疗重要? |
[08:30] | No, you’re right, because health care and education are much sexier. | 不,你说得对 因为医疗与教育性感多了 |
[08:34] | What are you suggesting? | 你有什么建议? |
[08:36] | That we come out right now for a national seat-belt law. | 我们赶快催生一个 国家安全带法 |
[08:39] | Wait, better yet, why doesn’t he set up his own checkpoint on l-95? | 等等,我有更好的主意 何不在95号公路设检查站? |
[08:43] | That’s impractical. | 那不够实际 |
[08:44] | So is twisting national policy over a non-story. | 为了不相关的事件扭曲国家政策 也不实际 |
[08:46] | – It’s not gonna be a non-story. – Are you talking to me? | -这不是不相关事件 -你在跟我说话吗? |
[08:50] | No. | 不是 |
[08:52] | Good morning, Mr. President. | 早安,总统先生 |
[08:54] | – Did the Celtics win last night? – They got crushed. | -塞尔提克队赢了吗? -他们死得很惨 |
[08:57] | Okay, when I say,”Did they win?” you can just say yes or no. | 当我问“他们赢了吗?” 你回答是或不是就行了 |
[09:00] | – They got crushed. – What are you doing? | -他们死得很惨 -你在做什么? |
[09:02] | – Sorry, I had a few minutes. – I’m just asking. | -抱歉,给我几分钟 -我只是问问 |
[09:05] | I’m making notes for a final: | 我在做期末考笔记 |
[09:07] | “Consumer movements in late 20th-century America.” | “20世纪后期美国消费者运动” |
[09:09] | – Modern American history sucks. – I had a hunch. | -美国现代史很逊 -我有预感 |
[09:11] | Study the Crusades, fall of the Roman Empire from Theodosius to Justinian. | 去研究十字军、罗马帝国怎么从 狄奥多西落到查士丁尼大帝 |
[09:17] | – The Visigoths. – Damn right. | -西哥德人 -说得对 |
[09:19] | Modern history’s another name for television. | 现代史的另一个名字叫电视 |
[09:22] | Is there any way I can help? | 有没有我能帮忙的地方? |
[09:24] | I’m a master of modern history, ask me anything. | 我是现代史大师 问我什么都行 |
[09:26] | What year did we pass the Clean Water Act? | 我们哪一年通过 净水法案? |
[09:29] | – I don’t know. – Okay. | -我不知道 -好吧 |
[09:32] | – Good morning. – They said you needed to see me. | -早安 -你有事要见我 |
[09:34] | – What’s going on? – I’m gonna tell you. | -怎么了? -我正要告诉你 |
[09:37] | Good morning, Mr. President. | 早安,总统先生 |
[09:38] | Sir, at this moment, we’re waiting to hear from the U. K… | 长官,我们现在正在等 英国方面传回 |
[09:42] | …on confirmation of a test for Mad Cow. | 狂牛症测试报告 |
[09:44] | Oh, man, they got it again? | 天哪,他们又有了? |
[09:47] | No, sir. I mean a U.S. case. | 不,长官,我是指美国的案件 |
[09:54] | A U.S. case? | 美国的案件? |
[09:55] | Right now it’s what’s called a presumptive positive. | 我们现在称为假定阳性 |
[09:58] | England will come with definitive results. | 英国会传回最终确定结果 |
[10:00] | – How long? – In 72 hours. | -还有多久? -72小时后 |
[10:03] | – Do we say anything? – That’s my question. | -我们应该发布消息吗? -那就是我的问题 |
[10:06] | – That’s why you’re here. – We have to. | -所以我们才来见您 -我认为有必要 |
[10:08] | Put the secretary in the briefing room with experts from Maryland… | 我会在简报室设秘书处 请马里兰大学专家坐镇 |
[10:11] | …the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, soften up the ground. | 还有国家牛肉业协会 先稳定民心 |
[10:15] | In three days, we’ll have our facts, make a full disclosure. | 再过三天,我们就会知道事实 到时再全面公布 |
[10:18] | – But meanwhile… – The USDA takes the time for tracing… | -但同时 -食品药物管理局借机 |
[10:22] | …checking feed logs. We don’t know how many herds have to be quarantined. | 检查饲料纪录 我们还不知道有多少牛受到隔离 |
[10:26] | We don’t know how many know already. | 我们还不知道 有多少人知道这件事 |
[10:28] | – Nobody knows. – A rancher knows. | -没有人 -一个牧场主人知道 |
[10:30] | – Labs in lowa and England, the USDA… – They’re our labs in lowa… | -爱荷华与英国实验室知道 -爱荷华实验室是我们的人 |
[10:34] | …and the rancher doesn’t have interest in saying his cattle are sick. | 牧场主人也不会想让别人知道 他的牛生病了 |
[10:38] | – Yeah, we gotta wait. – Sir… | -对,我们必须等 -长官 |
[10:39] | The second we say”positive,” beef futures collapse… | 我们只要一宣布“阳性” 牛肉市场马上崩溃 |
[10:42] | …and we lose 3.6 billion in beef exports. | 牛肉外销就会损失36亿美元 |
[10:45] | Fast food is deserted, supermarkets pull beef, it’s panic. | 速食业倒闭,超市回收牛肉 造成大恐慌 |
[10:48] | I wanna talk to more people. In the meantime, we wait. | 我想跟更多人谈谈 同时我们先等 |
[10:51] | – Thank you, sir. – Thank you, Mr. President. | -谢谢,长官 -谢谢,总统先生 |
[10:54] | – Wanna see panic? – Hang on. | -想看大恐慌吗? -等等 |
[10:59] | You wanna see panic, let the story break on CNN. | 想看大恐慌的话 就让整件事在CNN曝光 |
[11:02] | Waiting buys us time to get reassuring answers. | 等待能给我们 取得肯定答覆的时间 |
[11:04] | How many times can we get caught keeping a secret? | 你知道隐藏秘密 总有一天会被抓到吗? |
[11:07] | Sometimes we’re supposed to do that. | 有时候这是我们的责任 |
[11:09] | – All right. – Thanks. | -好吧 -谢谢 |
[11:13] | Listen. | 听着 |
[11:15] | Three weeks ago, a woman in Qumar was executed for adultery. | 三个礼拜前,在库马 有个妇女因通奸被处死 |
[11:19] | Didn’t need a lawyer, because there was no trial. | 她不需要律师 因为根本没有审判 |
[11:22] | Her husband’s word against hers. | 靠她丈夫的证词就算数 |
[11:24] | Later today, I’m gonna be announcing that we’re selling them tanks and guns. | 今天稍晚,我就要宣布 我们要卖他们坦克跟枪枝 |
[11:48] | – Amy should be with you in a minute. – Thanks. | -艾咪马上过来 -谢谢 |
[11:56] | This is interesting art on the walls. | 墙上这些画真有趣 |
[11:59] | A lot of very strong women who could hurt me. | 这些女人强壮到可以痛扁我 |
[12:02] | Only if you provoked them. | 除非你激怒她们 |
[12:05] | She’s busy with something important or she wouldn’t make you wait. | 她现在有重要的事在忙 否则她不会让人等 |
[12:11] | – Special J. – Amy. | -特别的乔 -艾咪 |
[12:14] | Thanks for waiting, I was playing a little Nintendo. | 让你久等了 我刚刚在玩任天堂 |
[12:17] | I’m kidding. I was on a conference call. | 我开玩笑的 我正在开电话会议 |
[12:19] | You want anything? Coke? Pepsi? Shrimp cocktail? | 你需要什么饮料吗? 可乐?百事?鸡尾酒? |
[12:23] | No. | 不用了 |
[12:26] | – How you been? – Good. | -你还好吧? -很好 |
[12:28] | Good. | 很好 |
[12:30] | You know what this is? | 你知道这是什么吗? |
[12:32] | A map of global trafficking in prostitution? | 全球性交易地图? |
[12:34] | You know who drew it? | 你知道是谁画的吗? |
[12:36] | Amerigo Vespucci? | 亚美利哥维斯普奇? |
[12:38] | That’s funny, J. It was your State Department. | 真好笑,乔 是你的国务院画的 |
[12:40] | – It’s your State Department too. – Yeah, a little more yours than mine. | -也是你的国务院啊 -比较像是你的 |
[12:44] | Every time you write a letter to the first lady… | 每次你写信给第一夫人 |
[12:47] | …she gets in gear because she feels guilty that she’s not doing enough for women. | 她就必须开始行动 因为她觉得自己为女性做得不够多 |
[12:51] | She’s not doing enough. | 她是做得不够多 |
[12:52] | – What would you like? – I’m glad you asked. | -你要什么? -我很高兴你问了 |
[12:55] | Not half as glad as I am. | 我不到你一半高兴 |
[12:56] | Current draft says forced prostitution, not other types, is sexual exploitation. | 目前的草稿说 只有强迫卖淫是性剥削 |
[13:02] | What about someone who answers an ad for an au pair… | 那如果有人 只是回应一则保姆广告 |
[13:04] | …and ends up working in a whorehouse, where they’re held hostage? | 最后却被卖到妓院工作 还被挟持为人质呢? |
[13:08] | That’s not the worst-case scenario. | 这还不是最糟的情形 |
[13:11] | Five days ago, four 13-year-old Thai girls hanged themselves… | 五天前,有四个13岁泰国女孩 |
[13:15] | …in an abandoned house on Stonycrest Lane in Bethesda. | 在毕士大一间废弃民宅里 上吊自杀 |
[13:18] | Not halfway around the world, Bethesda. | 这可不是远在天边的事 就在毕士大 |
[13:20] | Sheets over windows, triple locks on doors… | 窗户被被单盖起来 门被上了三道锁 |
[13:22] | …no phones, handcuffs hanging off the bedposts. | 没有电话 床柱挂着手铐 |
[13:25] | For the price of a toaster, their parents had sold them to work as babysitters. | 只为了一台烤面包机 父母把她们卖去当保姆 |
[13:30] | How is that not forced prostitution? | 你怎么说那不是强迫卖淫? |
[13:32] | I’ve got a whole floor full of lawyers who… | 我有整层楼的律师 |
[13:35] | In the last two years, 100,000 women… | 在过去两年来 有十万女性 |
[13:38] | …including girls who should be playing with Easy-Bake Ovens… | 包括应该在玩扮家家酒的女孩 |
[13:42] | …100,000 were brought here and forced to work as prostitutes. | 全部被带到美国来 强迫卖淫 |
[13:46] | You know how many cases we’ve prosecuted? | 你知道我们起诉了几件吗? |
[13:48] | – Not enough. – Two hundred and fifty. | -不够 -250件 |
[13:51] | You guys are about to make it harder, so I dropped the first lady a note. | 你们把事情弄得越来越糟 所以我只好写信给第一夫人 |
[13:56] | What the hell are those? | 那些是什么东西? |
[13:59] | – Those are balloon animals. – I’m sorry? | -气球动物 -什么? |
[14:01] | I have nephews who like balloon animals, so I got someone to teach me. | 我侄子喜欢气球动物 所以我找个人来教我 |
[14:06] | – Are they abstract? – I’m a beginner. | -这些是概念作品吗? -我只是初学者 |
[14:09] | – We can’t drop the word. – Why? | -我们不能去掉那个字 -为什么? |
[14:10] | We’re not the only ones in the world. | 我们又不是世界上唯一的国家 |
[14:12] | Prostitution is legal in Germany, Turkey, Netherlands. | 性交易在德国、土耳其跟荷兰 都是合法的 |
[14:15] | – If we alienate them… – They don’t sign. | -如果我们跟他们疏远 -他们没签合约 |
[14:17] | The more countries that sign, more effective it is. | 越多国家签署 合约越有效 |
[14:20] | The more toothless the treaty, the more toothless it is. | 越多这种大而无当的合约 合约越没用 |
[14:22] | – That’s a permeating syllogism. – I’m not screwing around. | -那只是种广泛推论法 -我可不是在胡搞 |
[14:25] | The women’s vote isn’t half your constituency. | 女性选票占了一半 |
[14:28] | – It’s the entire margin of victory. – Who else are you gonna vote for? | -这可是获胜的关键 -你们还要选谁? |
[14:32] | I don’t know, but you haven’t appointed enough women to the federal bench. | 我不知道,因为你们指派到 联邦政府的女性太少了 |
[14:35] | We’ll hold up your other nominations. | 我们还在观望这次的提名人 |
[14:39] | I didn’t burn my bras, J. In fact, I like my bras. | 我不烧胸罩,乔 事实上,我喜欢我的胸罩 |
[14:43] | I ring your bell when it’s important. | 我只在重要时刻才去找你 |
[14:47] | All right. | 好吧 |
[14:51] | Would you get back to me before the end of the day… | 麻烦你在今天之前 跟我联络 |
[14:54] | …and let me know where we are? – Yeah. | -让我知道进度好吗? -好吧 |
[14:57] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[14:59] | The art around here scares the hell out of me. | 这里的画把我吓死了 |
[15:02] | That’s what it’s supposed to do. | 那就是它们的作用 |
[15:16] | Good morning. Thanks for waiting. | 早安,让你久等了 |
[15:19] | – How are you, Toby? Evan Woodkirk. – Good to see you. | -你好,我是伊凡伍德瑞克 -很高兴看到你 |
[15:22] | Mary Klein. | 玛莉克兰 |
[15:24] | Tell me why I’m talking to you. | 请告诉我此次会议目的 |
[15:25] | The Smithsonian is opening an exhibit… | 史密森学会有场展览要揭幕 |
[15:27] | …marking the 60th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. | 纪念珍珠港事件满60周年 |
[15:30] | Why is that making veterans unhappy? | 为什么这会让荣民不爽? |
[15:32] | Let’s be clear. The USF is a very small group. | 容我解释 荣民协会是个非常小的团体 |
[15:35] | Maybe 2000 members and only 30 of them were gonna be attending. | 大约2千个团员 有30个会出席 |
[15:39] | They’re not, they’re boycotting. | 他们不会出席,他们要杯葛 |
[15:41] | It’s not like we’re not able to fill those seats. We don’t see it as a problem. | 有30个位置空着 对我们来说不是大问题 |
[15:45] | The president’s speaking at the opening, so it’s a problem. | 总统将在开幕时致词 那会是个问题 |
[15:48] | They’re not gonna keep their unhappiness to themselves. | 他们一定会把不满宣泄出来 |
[15:51] | I don’t want the president where there are pissed-off veterans. | 我不希望总统出现在 有火大荣民的场合 |
[15:55] | – There’s nothing to be concerned about. – What are they gonna tell me? | -这没什么好担心的 -今天下午他们会跟我说什么? |
[15:59] | They’ll tell you they’re troubled by the commentary on the propaganda posters. | 他们觉得宣传海报上的评论 让他们觉得很困扰 |
[16:04] | – Which is? – Sorry? | -那是? -什么? |
[16:05] | The commentary. | 评论 |
[16:07] | These were fear-inspiring posters, incredibly racist. | 这些海报目的是让人害怕 非常种族主义 |
[16:10] | – And you say so in the commentary. – In so many words. | -你在评论里也这么说 -说了很多 |
[16:13] | “The Sowers” portrays the Japanese… | “播种者”将日本人描绘成 |
[16:15] | …as hulking barbarians, tossing human skulls onto the ground. | 粗旷的野蛮人 将头盖骨摔到地上 |
[16:19] | How about the exhibit, “America’s Vengeance”? | 那这幅画 “美国的复仇”又如何呢? |
[16:21] | – You’ve reviewed the material? – Vengeance is pretty provocative… | -你看过画了? -复仇这个字很容易激怒人 |
[16:25] | …especially when followed by the burnt contents of a child’s lunch box. | 尤其当画的内容是 被烧毁的儿童午餐盒 |
[16:29] | Of course I’ve reviewed the material. | 我当然看过展览品 |
[16:32] | Excuse me, I’m sorry. Do you have a moment? | 抱歉 可以占用一下时间吗? |
[16:42] | I want you to get with C.J. when you can. | 我要你找时间跟茜洁谈 |
[16:44] | Sure, why? | 好啊,为什么? |
[16:45] | A lab in the U.K. is gonna let us know in 72 hours… | 英国实验室 将在72小时后通知我们 |
[16:49] | …if the first U.S. case of Mad Cow is in Nebraska right now. | 美国第一个狂牛症案例 是否已出现在内布拉斯加州 |
[16:53] | – We got a presumptive positive on… – Seventy-two hours. | -我们得到假定阳性 -72小 |
[16:56] | Yeah. | 对 |
[16:58] | – We should keep it to ourselves. – That’s what I think. | -我们应该保住秘密 -我也这么想 |
[17:01] | C.J. disagrees, and the president wants to hear more. | 茜洁不同意 总统想知道原因 |
[17:03] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[17:08] | – Leo. – Yeah? | -里奥 -什么事? |
[17:09] | You know the president’s being sued? | 你知道总统被告的事吧? |
[17:12] | – I’m sorry? – The president’s being sued. | -什么? -总统被告 |
[17:14] | – Oh, the guy from the planet Zanzibar. – Xanadu, no. The seat belts. | -来自桑吉巴星球的家伙 -桑纳度,不是啦,我是说安全带 |
[17:18] | That’s not gonna be anything. | 什么事也不会发生的 |
[17:20] | Washington Times is running,”Bartlet Accused of Contributory Negligence.” | 《华盛顿时报》正要刊 “总统因分担过失责任被起诉” |
[17:24] | I didn’t think The Washington Times could spell all those words. | 我不认为《华盛顿时报》 有办法把这些字拼对 |
[17:27] | – A29, above the fold. – There’s a fold that deep in the paper? | -第A29版内页 -报纸里还有内页? |
[17:31] | It’s gonna be picked up by The Post and The New York Times. | 三、四天后 《邮报》跟《纽约时报》也会刊 |
[17:35] | – Let’s be ahead of it. – How? | -我们要抢先一步 -怎么抢? |
[17:37] | Come out for a national seat-belt law. | 抢先拟出国家安全带法 |
[17:39] | – It’s never gonna happen. – Why? | -永远不可能 -为什么? |
[17:41] | – Most important state in the primaries? – New Hampshire. | -初选最重要的州是? -新罕布夏 |
[17:43] | – Most important state in the general? – Michigan. | -普选最重要的州是? -密西根 |
[17:46] | The only state without a mandatory seat-belt law? | 唯一没有强制安全带法的州是? |
[17:49] | – New Hampshire. – Where do they make the cars? | -新罕布夏 -车厂都在哪一州? |
[17:51] | Fair enough. Can I explore it? | 很公平,我可以利用那一点吗? |
[17:53] | Knock yourself out. In fact, go ahead and knock yourself out. | 把自己累死吧,说真的 放手去做然后把自己累死 |
[17:57] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[17:58] | The appointments aren’t gonna be held up. | 会议不会延后 |
[18:01] | At least not by Lady Godiva. | 至少“裸体夫人”不会延期 |
[18:03] | Tell me she wasn’t bare-breasted, at least outside your imagination. | 告诉我她有穿胸罩 至少在你想像以外 |
[18:06] | Yeah, no, she was. Yeah. | 是啊,不,她当然有穿 |
[18:07] | I’m saying, if she wants to front off… | 我是说,如果她想做对 |
[18:09] | …there’s not a moral imperative for the White House to get behind, what? | 白宫也没有必要因为道德规范 而去躲在那个什么? |
[18:13] | Equity in Insurance Coverage for Contraception or whatever it is. | 避孕保险涵盖范围权益 还是什么的后面 |
[18:18] | More money for sewing notions and whatnot. | 更多钱分给缝纫跟挂架 |
[18:20] | Suffrage and the right to smoke. | 投票权跟抽烟权 |
[18:22] | She wants heat, we can hold off backing for the Child Support Enforcement Act. | 她想捣乱,我们就搁住 儿童支援强制法案 |
[18:27] | – But you don’t want to do that. – Of course I don’t. | -但你可不想那么做 -我当然不想 |
[18:30] | – I’m a friend to the working mom. – You want her to have sewing notions. | -我是单亲工作妈妈之友 -你希望她会缝纫 |
[18:33] | – I do. – Can I ask you something? | -我是希望 -我可以问你一件事吗? |
[18:36] | Do you think it’s possible there’s a broader point? | 你认为这件事背后 还有更大意义吗? |
[18:39] | No. Why? | 没,为什么? |
[18:41] | What? | 什么? |
[18:42] | That leaving the word”forced” condones consensual prostitution. | 把那个字“强迫”留下 不就等于默认双方同意之性交易 |
[18:46] | – That’s ridiculous. – It can be spun that way. | -真是荒谬 -那个字有双关意义啊 |
[18:49] | – That we condone prostitution? – Yeah. | -我们默认性交易? -对 |
[18:51] | – It can’t be spun that way. – Okay. | -不可能有那种双关意义 -好吧 |
[18:53] | – You think it can? – I just did. | -你觉得可能吗? -我刚说了 |
[18:56] | All right. | 好吧 |
[18:58] | All right, would you check if C.J. ‘s in her office? | 好吧,麻烦帮我看看 茜洁在不在办公室好吗? |
[19:02] | Toby, it’s not like the entire exhibit is anti-American. | 托比,又不是整场展览 都是反美国 |
[19:05] | Hang on, it’s not like any of the exhibit is anti-American. | 等等,不是任何展览 是反美国 |
[19:08] | I can’t believe I have to have this conversation with you of all people. | 我真不敢相信 我得跟你这种人说这些话 |
[19:12] | I don’t know what “me of all people” means, but… | 我不知道“我这种人”是什么意思 不过 |
[19:14] | – Aren’t you standing by the NEA…? – I’m not. This is different. | -你不是支持教育协会? -我没有不一样 |
[19:18] | – How? – It is. | -怎么说? -就是不一样 |
[19:19] | The president was asked to speak… | 总统被邀请演说 |
[19:21] | …which is the only reason I can have you sitting here. | 所以你们才被容许 坐在这里谈 |
[19:24] | Something’s come up, and I’m done if you’re done. | 有事情要发生了 如果你们搞定我就搞定 |
[19:27] | – We appreciate your time. – I appreciate yours. | -谢谢你抽空来访 -我也是 |
[19:30] | – Can I call later today? – Please. | -我今天再联络你们可以吗? -当然 |
[19:36] | – How you doing? – Fine. | -你还好吧? -还好 |
[19:38] | – I just came from seeing Amy Gardner. – How did it go? | -我刚从艾咪嘉纳那儿回来 -事情办得如何? |
[19:40] | – I showed her who’s boss. – Who did it turn out to be? | -我告诉她谁是老板 -结果谁赢了? |
[19:43] | It’s still unclear, but let me ask, the U.N. treaty, Vienna? | 还不清楚,不过先让我问件事 联合国维也纳合约是吧? |
[19:47] | If we have to make a to-do about it being forced prostitution… | 如果我们在强迫卖淫上 大作文章 |
[19:51] | …is there a chance it can be spun that we’re condoning prostitution? | 有没有可能有双关意义 说我们默认性交易? |
[19:54] | – How much of a chance? – It’ll happen. | -机会有多大? -很大 |
[19:56] | – Amy will make it happen. – Yeah. | -艾咪会让这件事发生 -是啊 |
[19:58] | Well, this is a whole new thing, then. | 这又变成另一件事了 |
[20:01] | Leo told me. | 里奥告诉我了 |
[20:03] | – Close the door. – Told you what? | -把门关上 -告诉你什么? |
[20:05] | Close the door. | 把门关上 |
[20:08] | There was a presumptive positive on some cattle in Nebraska. | 在内布拉斯加有只牛 被断定为假定阳性 |
[20:11] | – What does that mean? – We wait 72 hours for a test. | -什么意思? -测试72小时后出来 |
[20:14] | – A disease? – Yeah. | -一种病? -对 |
[20:16] | – You’re kidding me. – No. | -你在开我玩笑 -没 |
[20:17] | – Mad Cow? – Yeah. | -狂牛症? -对 |
[20:18] | – Oh, my God, you’re kidding me. – Really, no. | -我的天,你在开我玩笑 -说真的,我没有 |
[20:21] | Well, I guess if the door’s closed, we’re not saying anything yet. | 我想,如果门是关的 事情就还没公布 |
[20:25] | – That’s why we’re talking. – What do you think? | -所以现在我们才要谈 -你们认为呢? |
[20:29] | We have an extra $ 1.5 billion we weren’t counting on. | 我们多了15亿美元 我们没算上 |
[20:33] | – What? – There’s an extra 1.5 billion. | -什么? -我们多了15亿美元 |
[20:35] | In Qumar, when a woman’s raped… | 在库马,如果一个女人被强暴 |
[20:37] | …she’s beaten by her husband and sons as punishment. | 她会被丈夫及儿子殴打 作为处罚 |
[20:40] | So we should talk about how to spend the 1.5 billion they’re giving us. | 所以我们应该谈谈 怎么利用他们给的15亿元 |
[20:48] | Okay. So should we tell anybody? | 好吧,那我们应该公布了吗? |
[20:57] | All right, unfunded mandates. | 好吧,无补助的书面谕令 |
[20:59] | This is where the federal government forces localities to do stuff… | 联邦政府才能逼迫 地方政府做事 |
[21:03] | …but isn’t interested in paying the bill. – Don’t give me the grumbles. | -但是不会帮忙出钱 -不准给我抱怨 |
[21:07] | According to Frank Segal, Danville, Virginia, with a population of 55,000… | 根据法兰克席格说法 维吉尼亚州丹维市的5万人口 |
[21:11] | …spent 13,800 hours and $ 167,000 complying with the Disabilities Act. | 花了1万多小时跟16多万元 遵守失能人士法案 |
[21:16] | Should employees in wheelchairs work in the parking lot? | 那坐轮椅的员工 应该在停车场工作��? |
[21:20] | Segal thinks it’s unfair that the federal government… | 席格认为联邦政府很不公平 |
[21:23] | How much would it cost the federal government to amend… | 联邦政府要花上多少钱 |
[21:26] | …the Unfunded Mandates Reform Act to cover all unfunded mandates? | 才能补谕令改革法的漏洞 来资助所有无补助书面谕令? |
[21:29] | Tens of billions, I would think. | 数十亿吧?我想 |
[21:31] | Find out for sure and then tell Segal to sit down and shut up. | 去算出正确数字 然后叫席格坐下闭嘴 |
[21:35] | – Anything else? – No. | -还有别的是吗? -没了 |
[21:37] | – Thank you, Mr. President. – Thank you, sir. | -谢谢,总统先生 -谢谢,长官 |
[21:51] | So paint a picture for me, would you? | 给我一个大概好吗? |
[21:55] | We find the source of the problem, which will be the feed. | 我们找到问题根源了 是饲料 |
[21:58] | – We buy the cattle and slaughter them. – How many? | -我们可以买回牛只,全部杀掉 -有多少? |
[22:00] | – Tens of thousands. – That’s live cattle. What about beef? | -上万只 -你说的是活牛,那牛肉呢? |
[22:04] | FSIS will do a Class-1 recall and get it off the shelves, not that they’d need to. | 农业部会发布等级1紧急撤架回收 但并不是必要的 |
[22:09] | Nobody’s gonna buy beef for a couple of years. | 接下来几年没有人敢买牛肉 |
[22:11] | That’s a $ 150 billion industry. What’s the West gonna do for a living? | 这可是1500亿美元的市场 西部要靠什么过活? |
[22:16] | This generation of ranchers is done. They won’t get back on their feet. | 牧场主人好几代全完了 再也没办法自力更生 |
[22:19] | People have known about this disease. They’re still eating beef. | 人们早就听说过这种病 可是他们还是吃牛肉 |
[22:23] | Because it’s been across the ocean. | 因为牛肉来自海外 |
[22:25] | Once we announce a positive, steak houses are done, fast food is done. | 一旦我们宣布阳性 牛排店全完了,速食店也是 |
[22:31] | And then the corn and soybean growers, right? | 玉米跟大豆农夫也是 对吧? |
[22:33] | The dominoes don’t end on this. | 披萨店还好 |
[22:35] | – Any good news? – For fishermen. | -有任何好消息吗? -只有渔夫高兴 |
[22:40] | We’ve got frightened parents, rising food prices, public panic, massive layoffs… | 父母开始害怕,食物价格上扬 大众恐慌,大量裁员 |
[22:46] | …and something new, wondering when the next case is gonna happen. | 还有对新事件的恐惧 担心随时会有事情爆发 |
[22:50] | – The most costly disruptions… – Yeah? | -最花钱的困扰是 -什么事? |
[22:53] | …always when something we take completely for granted… | 每次我们 把某件事视为理所当然 |
[22:56] | …stops working for a minute. | 它就会忽然失去作用 |
[22:58] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[23:01] | – Okay. – Thank you, Mr. President. | -好吧 -谢谢,总统先生 |
[23:05] | Do you know when we passed the Clean Water Act? | 你知道我们何时通过 净水法案吗? |
[23:07] | – No. – How can you not? | -不知 -你怎么可以不知? |
[23:09] | – My water’s clean. I don’t ask questions. – What’d I say? | -水干净就好,我不问问题 -我刚刚说什么? |
[23:12] | – I wasn’t really listening. – All right. | -我没真的在听 -好吧 |
[23:14] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[23:18] | Yes, sir. | 什么事,长官 |
[23:20] | Nope. Nothing. | 不,没事 |
[23:27] | – You sure there’s nothing you need? – No. | -你确定不需要任何东西? -确定 |
[23:36] | – You know, Charlie… – Yeah. | -你知道,查理 -怎样? |
[23:38] | …history can’t be reduced to dates and names. | 历史不能浓缩成日期跟名字 |
[23:40] | Well, I’m pretty sure this final can. | 但我很确定期末考就是这样 |
[23:43] | I’m starting you out with the speech George Perkins Marsh used in 1845… | 我先从一段乔治马许 在1845年的演讲开始介绍 |
[23:48] | …to rouse the agricultural community of Rutland, Vermont… | 以催生佛蒙特州拉特兰镇 的农业社会 |
[23:51] | …and then you’ll need to study on the word”ecology”… | 然后你会需要研究这个字 “生态学” |
[23:54] | …coined by the German biologist Ernst Haeckel. | 是由一个德国生物学家 恩斯特海克发明的 |
[23:57] | I’m being punished. | 我正在受折磨 |
[23:58] | It’s better in the original German, but obviously, the translation will be fine. | 原始德文比较好 但翻译也可以 |
[24:02] | Good. | 很好 |
[24:04] | – Sam. – Sam, how you doing? | -山姆 -山姆,你好吗? |
[24:06] | Good, good. Thanks for coming down. Come on back. | 很好谢谢你们来一趟 跟我来 |
[24:09] | I’ve got a joke the president can do on telling people not to wear seat belts. | 我听到一个笑话说 总统告诉人们别上安全带 |
[24:13] | He didn’t tell people that. | 他没这么说 |
[24:15] | He should say,”Maybe I should go back to concealing my health.” | 他应该说“也许我该回办公室 继续隐藏我的病情” |
[24:19] | That’s good. He can use it at the Rotary Club. | 真好笑 他可以在扶轮社说 |
[24:21] | Josh Lyman shouldn’t joke about Rotarians. They’re good people. | 乔西赖曼不应该嘲笑扶轮社员 他们都是好人 |
[24:25] | He feels bad about that. | 他觉得很后悔 |
[24:26] | – They volunteer their time. – He’ll apologize. | -他们贡献心力 -他会道歉 |
[24:29] | – I’m a Rotarian, my dad’s a Rotarian. – My dad’s an Elk. | -我是个扶轮社员,我爸也是 -我爸是角鹿社社员 |
[24:33] | Elks are okay. | 角鹿社还好 |
[24:37] | Anticipating this might become a thing. | 我觉得这件事会越来越严重 |
[24:39] | I want to float the idea of a national seat-belt law. | 我想催生国家安全带法 |
[24:42] | What’s the Democratic leadership gonna say? | 民主党主席会怎么说? |
[24:43] | – They’ll say no. – Why? | -他们会拒绝 -为什么? |
[24:45] | Democratic leadership doesn’t do damage control for the president. | 民主党主席不想为总统 做损害控制 |
[24:48] | It’s about more than damage control. | 这不只是损害 |
[24:50] | Only 68 percent of drivers wear their seat belts. | 只有68%驾驶人上安全带 |
[24:53] | We get that up to 90 percent, we save 5000 lives a year. | 如果能增加到90% 每年就能减少5千人死亡 |
[24:56] | If kids eat spinach, they’ll be as strong as Popeye. | 如果逼小朋友吃菠菜 他们就会跟卜派一样强壮 |
[24:59] | We’ve done driver safety, food drives, physical fitness. | 我们已经加强驾驶安全 跟身材控制 |
[25:02] | – Who? – The Rotary Club. | -谁? -扶轮社 |
[25:04] | – He really is gonna apologize, Tom. – Sam. | -他真的会道歉,汤姆 -山姆 |
[25:07] | Secondary seat-belt laws don’t work. | 而且附属安全带法也没用 |
[25:09] | You can only fine someone if you stop them for something else. | 警察不能光靠 没上安全带罚他们钱 |
[25:12] | – It’s time for a tough law. – To make up for a bonehead comment? | -该是制定严法的时候了 -只为了一个募款人的蠢评论? |
[25:15] | Governors don’t like it. It’s federalism run amuck. | 州长可不喜欢 联邦主义过于盛行 |
[25:18] | Governors don’t vote in Congress. | 州长在国会又没有投票权 |
[25:20] | Congressmen aren’t gonna vote for it either. | 国会议员也不会赞成 |
[25:22] | Okay, then, it’s a shorter meeting than I thought it was gonna be. | 好吧 那我们会面就到此结束了 |
[25:26] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[25:28] | You won’t catch a Rotarian not wearing his seat belt. | 你绝对不会看到任何扶轮社员 没上安全带 |
[25:31] | – An Elk, maybe. – Yeah. | -角鹿社就可能会 -是啊 |
[25:34] | Leo wanted you to know the OMB’s gonna do a quick report… | 里奥要我通知你 预算办公室可能会做一份 |
[25:37] | …on expanding unfunded mandates. | 扩大无补助书面谕令的简报 |
[25:39] | It doesn’t mean anything, but they’re doing it anyway. | 这没有意义 但他们还是要做 |
[25:42] | – My tax dollars, hard at work. – I’ll be at my desk. | -我的税表,很难搞 -我回去办公桌 |
[25:45] | – Donna, you’ve worked as a prostitute. – Yeah? | -唐娜,假设你是妓女 -然后呢? |
[25:47] | – Let’s just say. – Okay. | -只是假设 -好的 |
[25:49] | Why should what you do be against the law? | 你的职业为什么违法? |
[25:51] | You’re not allowed to buy and sell people. | 人们不准买或卖身体 |
[25:53] | – You’re renting out your body. – Not allowed to do that either. | -你只是出租身体 -也不准 |
[25:57] | – Fashion models do. – It’s different. | -时装模特儿呢? -那不一样 |
[25:59] | Only because we say it’s different. | 那只是你说的 |
[26:01] | Get a massage, isn’t it a matter of degrees? | 如果你去做按摩 只是程度上的不同而已,不是吗? |
[26:03] | Lots of things are. | 很多事都只是程度上不同 |
[26:05] | Wouldn’t legalizing prostitution allow women to unionize… | 如果将性交易合法化 不就能让她们成立工会 |
[26:08] | …and get access to social services and health care… | 获得社会福利跟全民健保 |
[26:11] | …and create some control? – You think if you make it legal… | -并且能加以控制不是吗? -你以为让这种事合法 |
[26:15] | …prostitutes will want everybody to know they’re prostitutes? | 妓女们就敢让大家知道 她们是妓女吗? |
[26:20] | – What? – The rare, valid point. | -怎样? -少见但有力的论点 |
[26:23] | I’ll be back on my street corner. | 我要回角落的办公室了 |
[26:27] | Okay, round two. | 好吧,第二回合 |
[26:30] | I’m Toby Ziegler, I’ll be your referee. | 我是托比齐格 我是你们的仲裁员 |
[26:32] | I’m Barney Lang, national commander. | 我是巴尼朗,国家司令官 |
[26:34] | – We spoke on the phone. – Yes. | -我们在电话上谈过 -对 |
[26:35] | Please meet Ed Ramsey and Ronald Kruckshank. | 这位是艾德兰西跟朗纳库山 |
[26:38] | – These are two of our regional directors. – Welcome to the White House. | -这两位是我们的地区组长 -欢迎来到白宫 |
[26:42] | Been here before. | 我以前来过 |
[26:44] | My unit was invited by Franklin Roosevelt. That chair used to be over there. | 罗斯福总统曾邀请我的单位来 椅子之前是在那里 |
[26:49] | It’s nice to meet you. | 很高兴认识你们 |
[26:52] | Before we start, could I hit you up for a personal favor? | 在我们开始之前 我个人可以请你帮个忙吗? |
[26:55] | I don’t think the president’s available for pictures today. | 我想总统今天可能不方便拍照 |
[26:58] | No, it’s my buddy Arthur Holly. | 不,是我朋友亚瑟合利 |
[27:00] | He’s been in a wheelchair because he lost his left leg… | 他因为失去左腿 一直坐在轮椅上 |
[27:04] | …and the wheelchair is falling apart. | 而他的轮椅坏了 |
[27:06] | We’ve been doing pretty good with duct tape… | 我们都用胶布贴补 也还过得去 |
[27:09] | …but the guy could use a new one, and Medicaid is dragging its feet on this. | 但他希望能有一辆新轮椅 但是健保局一拖再拖 |
[27:14] | Leave me his information. I can make a phone call for you. | 给我他的联络方式 我可以帮你打通电话 |
[27:18] | – I appreciate that, son, thank you. – Okay. | -感激不尽,孩子,谢谢 -好吧 |
[27:21] | Tell me one point you find most offensive and would like pulled from the exhibit. | 告诉我你们觉得最不堪 希望能撤出展览的作品 |
[27:26] | – There are a number of points. – What’s at the top? | -倒是有一堆 -最不能忍受的? |
[27:29] | Sections that have the overreaching message… | 有一条非常过份的讯息 |
[27:31] | …of a vengeful America and a victimized Japan. | 在说美国的复仇跟 被牺牲的日本 |
[27:35] | You don’t want to ignore effects of the bomb. | 别忘了原子弹的后果 |
[27:37] | We don’t want to ignore facts… | 我们没忘记事实 |
[27:39] | …but, in that particular case, we don’t agree with their version of the facts. | 但是在这个特别情况下 我们不能同意他们的看法 |
[27:44] | The 63,000? | 6万3千人? |
[27:45] | They say 63,000 American lives would’ve been lost if we’d invaded. | 他们说如果我们进攻 就会多死6万3千个美国人 |
[27:50] | Marshall told Truman a ground offensive would take the lives of at least 250,000. | 马歇尔跟杜鲁门说陆地进攻 可能会死至少25万人 |
[27:56] | There’s some evidence to suggest that Marshall told Truman that. | 是有证据显示 马歇尔是这么跟杜鲁门说的 |
[28:00] | Some estimates say 150,000, some say 268,000. | 有人预估为15万人 还有人说26万8千人 |
[28:04] | There are discrepancies. | 有些不一致的地方 |
[28:06] | I didn’t see you there. | 我没看到你在那儿 |
[28:08] | This is C.J. Cregg. | 这位是茜洁葛瑞 |
[28:10] | I’m Barney Lang. Ed Ramsey, Ronald Kruckshank. | 我是巴尼朗,这位是艾德兰西 跟朗纳库山 |
[28:13] | Good to meet you. | 很高兴认识各位 |
[28:15] | – You need anything? – I just came by to listen. | -你需要什么吗? -我只是刚好经过 |
[28:19] | I wanna put you in a room with the exhibit directors from the Smithsonian. | 我要请你们 跟史密森学会展览主任开个会 |
[28:23] | – Can I do it today? – Sure. | -今天可以吗? -当然 |
[28:25] | Stay by a phone. Okay. | 随时电话联络 |
[28:28] | – Can I interrupt for a second, Toby? – Yeah. | -我可以打扰一下吗,托比? -可以 |
[28:33] | Mr. Ramsey, I saw in your information you were in the 10th Armored Division. | 兰西先生,我看过你的资料 你参加过第10装甲师 |
[28:39] | Pvt. First Class, 10th Armored Division, Third Army, Second World War. | 一等大兵,第10装甲师 第三连,二次大战 |
[28:42] | – You fought in the Battle of the Bulge. – I did. | -你打过布耳基战役 -没错 |
[28:45] | My unit broke through the German 7th army’s buffer… | 我的单位突破德军第七军团 |
[28:49] | …which was critical in winning Bastogne. | 那是巴斯通战役的致胜关键 |
[28:51] | That was the moment we beat the Nazis on the Western front. | 也是我们在西部前线 击溃纳粹的一刻 |
[28:55] | That was a hell of a moment. | 真是了不起 |
[28:57] | I have a granddaughter like you. She’s a chemist. | 我有个孙女很像你 她是个化学家 |
[29:00] | – Can I ask you to imagine something? – I suppose. | -我可以请你想像一件事吗? -我试试 |
[29:05] | Imagine if you weren’t as successful as you were. | 想像你那一场战役没有打赢 |
[29:09] | Imagine, say, that Hitler had taken Antwerp… | 想像希特勒占领了 安特卫普 |
[29:13] | …and we’d lost the Battle of the Bulge and Germany held the Western front. | 我们输了布耳基战役 德军继续占领西部前线 |
[29:17] | It wouldn’t have mattered. | 那也无所谓 |
[29:19] | The Russians crushed them on the Eastern front. They wouldn’t have won the war. | 俄军在东部战线大胜 他们不可能打赢 |
[29:23] | No, but even if the Russians kicked them out of Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria… | 即使俄军把他们踢出 波兰、匈牙利、保加利亚 |
[29:27] | …they could’ve held on to France, maybe Italy, certainly defended Germany. | 他们也保不住法国 意大利当然会保护德国 |
[29:31] | It’s six decades later. While they didn’t conquer Europe… | 那是六十多年前的事了 他们没有占领整个欧洲 |
[29:34] | …Nazis exist as a recognized government in some small corner of Europe. | 纳粹以公认的小型政府形式 存在于欧洲各个角落 |
[29:39] | – That would never have happened. – Really? | -大战不会再发生 -真的吗? |
[29:41] | They killed a quarter of my unit. | 他们杀了我四分之一的弟兄 |
[29:44] | They killed a third of my classmates from Erasmus High School. | 杀了我三分之一的高中同学 |
[29:48] | – We would never have allowed… – We did it in Cambodia. | -我们绝对不会让… -我们在柬埔寨也干过 |
[29:51] | C.J., knock it off. | 茜洁,别再说了 |
[29:53] | You’re protesting because you think the Smithsonian doesn’t pay proper respect… | 你们会抗议是因为 史密森学会不够尊重你们 |
[29:57] | …to what you and the soldiers of the 10th Armored, Third Army… | 跟第3连第10装甲师连弟兄们 |
[30:01] | …risked and lost your lives for six decades ago. | 在60多年前所做的牺牲 |
[30:04] | How would you feel, in the hypothetical I just described… | 照我刚刚说的假设情形 如果我告诉你们 |
[30:07] | …if I told you that at my press briefing… | 在我的记者会简报上 我将宣布我们将把坦克 |
[30:11] | …I’m announcing we were selling tanks, missiles and fighter jets to the Nazis? | 飞弹跟战斗机卖给纳粹 你们作何感想? |
[30:15] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[30:17] | Step outside. | 到外面来 |
[30:24] | Look… | 听着 |
[30:25] | If I was in Qumar, I wouldn’t be allowed to say,”Shove it up your ass”… | 如果我在库马,女人是不准说 “把话塞回你屁眼里去”的 |
[30:29] | …but since I’m not, shove it up your ass, Toby. | 但既然我不在那儿 把话塞回你屁眼里去,托比 |
[30:43] | You really want to talk about the lawsuit in Colorado? | 你真的想谈那件 在科罗拉多州的案子? |
[30:46] | You hear about the lawyer who opened a chain of dry cleaners? | 你知道 开连锁干洗店的律师吗? |
[30:50] | Press your lawsuit while you wait. | 等待时请把你的案件 放进你的西装 |
[30:52] | There was a better joke in there someplace, right? | 应该有更好笑的律师笑话 对吧? |
[30:55] | – Probably not. Sir… – Doctrine of Sovereign lmmunity. | -可能没有,长官 -主权豁免原则 |
[30:58] | Can’t sue the king. We brought it from England. | 不能告国王 英国带过来的传统 |
[31:00] | He’s not immune from the court of public opinion. | 但是他不能免除 公众舆论的法庭 |
[31:02] | Forgot that one. | 忘了带那一条过来 |
[31:04] | – The RNC will have a press conference. – They have one when I sneeze. | -共和党全国委员会要开记者会 -每次我打喷嚏他们就开 |
[31:08] | We need to come out for a strong national seat-belt law. | 我们必须拟定 更有力的国家安全带法 |
[31:11] | – Congress won’t pass it. – We don’t need the law. | -国会不会通过的 -我们不需要这种法 |
[31:13] | Just come out for it. It’ll end the question of where you stand. | 只是先拟出来 好说明你的立场 |
[31:17] | People know. If they don’t, they can ask. | 大家知道 如果他们不知道,可以问 |
[31:19] | – You were governor of New Hampshire… – I was for it then. | -你曾经是新罕布夏州州长 -我当时推过那条法 |
[31:22] | I never did anything, because nobody wanted it. Why waste time and capital? | 我什么也没做,因为没人要 何必浪费时间跟金钱? |
[31:27] | C.J. will get asked about it. | 茜洁会被问到 |
[31:28] | I can’t be responsible every time somebody irrationally twists my meaning. | 如果每次都有人扭曲我的话 我无法为此负责 |
[31:33] | People are responsible for themselves. | 大家必须为自己负责 |
[31:35] | Today’s cars are safer than they’ve ever been. | 现代的车已经非常安全了 |
[31:37] | They’ve all got air bags, seat belts… | 都配备有安全气囊、安全带 |
[31:40] | …and they’re crash-tested from here till Tuesday. | 都通过撞击测试 |
[31:43] | All that’s left is personal behavior and bad luck. | 只剩下个人行为跟坏运气 |
[31:45] | I’m not responsible for either. | 我也无法为那些因素负责 |
[31:47] | If Mrs. Landingham was here, she’d say the exact same thing. | 如果蓝汀汉太太在这里 她也会说一样的话 |
[31:50] | – Yes, sir. – I don’t blame this woman for suing me. | -对,长官 -我不怪这女人告我 |
[31:53] | I’m not a king, not sure the law should treat me like one, though I don’t mind. | 我又不是国王,我不确定法律 是否该待我如国王,但我不介意 |
[31:58] | I’m not blaming her. | 我不怪她 |
[32:00] | She’s got to go someplace with her grief and her anger. | 她必须找个地方 发泄悲伤与愤怒 |
[32:03] | The ones who should be horsewhipped are the ones exploiting her grief… | 应该被谴责的人 是利用她的悲痛 |
[32:07] | …for political gain, and I’m not getting down with them. | 以换取政治利益的人 我也不会被这种人打垮 |
[32:09] | – Let Congress pass that law, I’ll sign it. – Sir? | -让国会通过,我会签字 -长官? |
[32:13] | – Yeah, let’s go. Get Leo. – Thank you, Mr. President. | -对,去进行吧,找里奥过来 -谢谢,总统先生 |
[32:17] | Good evening, Mr. President. | 晚安,总统先生 |
[32:18] | Isn’t there a joke with lawsuits and dry cleaners? I’ve been working on it all day. | 是不是有个干洗店的律师笑话? 我整天都在想这件事 |
[32:23] | You’ve been working on other stuff too, right? | 你也在忙另一件事不是吗? |
[32:25] | – Yeah. – Good evening, sir. | -是啊 -晚安,长官 |
[32:28] | Okay, what do we think? When do you tell the public? | 好吧,有什么意见? 何时跟大众宣布? |
[32:32] | – I think right now. – I think when you know something. | -我建议现在 -我建议有事实根据时再说 |
[32:34] | Absolute confirmation must be the rule when talking about public panic. | 如果有公共恐慌疑虑时 就必须要有绝对的事实根据 |
[32:38] | Are we sure there’ll be public panic if we’re only saying there’s a chance? | 如果我们只说有可能 你确定还是会造成公共恐慌吗? |
[32:43] | – We think, maybe, usually it’s negative. – I do. | -是有可能,但通常是阴性 -我也这么想 |
[32:45] | We’re not talking about sushi, it’s hamburgers, and I’m not kidding around. | 我们现在说的可不是寿司 是汉堡,这可不是在开玩笑 |
[32:51] | These things, the everyday American things, the 99-cent things that… | 牛肉是美国人的日常饮食 最便宜的一餐 |
[32:56] | …when you suddenly have to be afraid of them, strike at our equilibrium. | 如果民众忽然必须害怕牛肉 会动摇国本 |
[33:00] | Democrats are not exactly loved by the beef industry to begin with. | 况且牛肉业者 也不太喜欢我们民主党 |
[33:04] | Are we gonna get killed for causing false panic? | 我们可能会引起错误的恐慌 而被做掉吗? |
[33:06] | What we say now will be measured against the facts… | 我们现在所说的话 会以事实来评估 |
[33:09] | …the consequences of which will be far worse if we don’t say anything. | 如果我们什么也不说 后果会更糟 |
[33:14] | – I disagree. – Then pretend the cow has MS. | -我不同意 -那就想像牛有硬化症 |
[33:17] | No, I don’t think I will. | 不,我想我没办法 |
[33:21] | Something going on? | 怎么了? |
[33:22] | They can hear you. They’re standing in front of you. | 他们听得见你 他们就站在你前面 |
[33:25] | That was a bad analogy. I apologize. | 这个比喻不好 我道歉 |
[33:27] | What I meant was… | 我的意思是 |
[33:29] | …the public will not forgive a president who withheld information… | 大众不会原谅一个 隐瞒情报的总统 |
[33:34] | …that could’ve helped them or saved lives. | 如果这份情报 原本可以拯救更多生命 |
[33:37] | Second, in a crisis, people need to feel like soldiers, not victims. | 第二,发生灾难时 人民必须觉得像士兵而非受害者 |
[33:41] | Third, information breeds confidence, silence breeds fear. | 第三,资讯流通能产生信心 沉默则产生恐惧 |
[33:46] | That’s my argument. | 那是我的论点 |
[33:52] | – If it comes from the president… – It shouldn’t. | -如果由总统发布 -不应该由总统 |
[33:55] | – Not even the White House. – From Health and Human Services. | -更不应该由白宫 -应该由卫生部公布 |
[33:59] | – Not the secretary, midlevel. – That’s what we’ll do, then. | -也不是中间阶层的秘书 -那我们就这么办 |
[34:02] | – Thank you, sir. – Toby. | -谢谢,长官 -托比 |
[34:06] | What’s going on with the Smithsonian? | 史密森学会怎么回事? |
[34:08] | – It’ll be fine, sir. – Where are you leading them? | -没问题的,长官 -你要怎么处理? |
[34:11] | Not to turn a blind eye toward the dark periods in our history… | 不让大家用严厉的角度 审视美国历史的黑暗面 |
[34:16] | …but there’s a time and place for that, and this isn’t it. | 另外会有适当的时间跟地点 但不是此时此刻 |
[34:19] | – You’re changing. – No, I’m not. | -你变了 -不,我没有 |
[34:20] | – Yes, you are. – A very, very little bit. | -有,你有 -一点点吧 |
[34:23] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[34:24] | Mr. President, could you point me in the right direction on something? | 总统先生,可以给我一个 做事的大概方向吗? |
[34:28] | One of the vets who was here has a buddy whose wheelchair’s fallen apart. | 今天有个荣民的弟兄 他坐的轮椅坏了 |
[34:32] | Who can get something done overnight at Medicaid? | 有谁能马上用医疗补助 给他一辆新轮椅? |
[34:35] | We gotta straighten out Medicaid. | 该好好整顿医疗补助制度了 |
[34:37] | After the Civil War, veterans had to come to D.C. to get their pensions. | 在内战之后 荣民必须亲自去华府领退休金 |
[34:41] | They had to visit the office. | 他们必须亲自到办公室 |
[34:43] | They waited for a clerk to look through records until their papers were found. | 等办公人员找遍所有纪录 直到找到他们的文件 |
[34:48] | Know what the papers were bound with? | 你知道他们用什么绑文件吗? |
[34:50] | – No. – Red tape. | -不知 -红胶带 |
[34:52] | – That’s where it comes from. – Didn’t know that. | -纪录就是这样绑的 -我可不知道 |
[34:54] | Go and apologize to C.J. for whatever you did. | 去跟茜洁道歉 不论你对她做了什么 |
[34:57] | – I didn’t do anything. – Like that matters. | -我什么也没做 -那不重要 |
[34:58] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢,长官 |
[34:59] | What’s next? | 还有什么? |
[35:02] | – What? – You know, sir… | -什么? -你知道,长官 |
[35:03] | …that story about red tape and Medicaid was interesting, but… . | 关于红胶带跟医疗补助的事 都很有趣,可是 |
[35:07] | – What? – Nothing. | -什么? -没事 |
[35:10] | You have economic advisers in the Roosevelt Room. | 经济顾问在罗斯福办公室等你 |
[35:12] | – Interesting but what? – He just wanted a wheelchair. | -很有趣但是什么? -他只是需要一辆轮椅 |
[35:15] | – Toby’s trying to get him a wheelchair. – I forgot. | -托比要帮他弄一辆轮椅 -我忘了 |
[35:19] | I forgot. Get the information. I’ll make the call myself. | 我忘了,帮我要资料 我会亲自打电话 |
[35:22] | Maybe the guy can wheel around on a book… | 也许那家伙能亲自查一本由 |
[35:25] | …by German biologist Ernst Haeckel. | 德国生物学家恩斯特海克写的书 |
[35:27] | Get the information and the director of the CMSO on the phone. | 去拿资料 还有帮我接医疗补助处的主任 |
[35:30] | Yes, sir. | 是的,长官 |
[35:35] | 1972. | 1972年 |
[35:38] | – I’m sorry, sir? – When we passed the Clean Water Act. | -什么,长官? -我们通过净水法案的年份 |
[35:41] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢,长官 |
[35:43] | – You know nothing about the Visigoths. – Yes, sir. | -你根本不知道什么是西哥德人 -是,长官 |
[35:45] | – And I know everything. – Yes, sir. | -我什么都知道 -是,长官 (都彭运动健身中心) |
[35:55] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[35:57] | What are you doing here? | 你在这里做什么? |
[35:58] | Your office said you were here. | 办公室的人说你在这 |
[36:00] | Eleanor Roosevelt once made a speech to the U.N. General Assembly… | 爱莲诺罗斯福曾经对 联合国大会发表演说 |
[36:04] | …saying that we should decriminalize prostitution. | 说我们应该歧视性交易 |
[36:07] | Eleanor Roosevelt was the one who liked hats, right? | 爱莲诺罗斯福是爱戴帽子那个 对吧? |
[36:11] | The undersecretary for Global Affairs and Regina Pierce… | 全球事务次长跟雷吉娜皮尔斯 |
[36:15] | …will sit with our legal adviser at the U.N., look at alternative language. | 会随同法律顾问参加联合国会议 寻求其他用语 |
[36:19] | – I heard. – So. | -我听到了 -那么 |
[36:20] | – Indeed. – That’s right. | -是吗? -没错 |
[36:22] | Are you walking me back to my office? | 你要陪我走回办公室吗? |
[36:24] | How is making prostitution illegal not suppressing women’s rights? | 让性交易合法化 不是更能解放妇女权利吗? |
[36:28] | How is making heroin use illegal not suppressing a heroin user’s rights? | 让海洛英合法化,也能解放 海洛英使用者权利不是吗? |
[36:32] | – It is, but heroin is bad for you. – So’s being a prostitute. | -没错,但吸海洛英不好 -当妓女也不好 |
[36:36] | How can I not call you a hypocrite… | 当你说政府不应该管女性 |
[36:38] | …when you say the government shouldn’t tell women what to do with their bodies? | 怎么处理自己的身体 我怎能不觉得你是伪君子呢? |
[36:41] | Exercise some self-control, I guess. | 这牵涉到自我控制吧 |
[36:45] | Prostitution is about the subjugation of women by men for profit. | 性交易是女性为了利益 而服从男性的行为 |
[36:49] | – Profit goes to the women. – In some cases. | -女性得到利益 -有时候 |
[36:51] | But I know of no girl who says,”I want to be a prostitute when I grow up.” | 但没有任何一个女孩子会说 “我长大之后要当妓女” |
[36:55] | They’re forced to do it out of financial circumstances. | 她们因为经济拮据 才被逼从事该行业 |
[36:58] | Dire economic need is a form of coercion. | 急迫的经济需求 也是一种高压统治 |
[37:00] | But the guy who steals my stereo does it for the same reason. | 但是闯入我家偷音响的男人 也是因为经济拮据啊 |
[37:05] | And he’s going to jail. | 所以他入狱啦 |
[37:07] | Because he broke into my apartment and stole my stereo… | 因为他闯入我家偷音响 |
[37:10] | …and nobody wants that, but you can’t say that about the other thing. | 没有人希望这件事发生 但是你不能用这件事当借口 |
[37:15] | Forget, for a second, that it’s a women’s issue. | 先撇开这是女性议题 |
[37:18] | The law isn’t a deterrent. Prostitutes advertise in the Yellow Pages. | 法律没有遏止效能 色情广告到处都是 |
[37:22] | Aren’t we just serving to create more criminals in a criminal environment? | 我们这样只是在罪犯环境中 帮助制造更多罪犯不是吗? |
[37:27] | Why did you come here? | 你为什么来这里? |
[37:30] | To tell you about the thing. | 告诉你这件事 |
[37:33] | – The U.N.? – Yeah. | -联合国? -是啊 |
[37:35] | – I’d heard. – I didn’t know that. | -我听说了 -我不知道 |
[37:38] | – Why didn’t you call? – I’m sorry? | -你为什么不打电话? -什么? |
[37:41] | Why didn’t you call me on the phone? | 你为什么不打电话联络? |
[37:43] | Your office is on the way home. | 你办公室在我回家路上 |
[37:45] | – It’s 5:00. – Yeah. | -现在是下午5点 -是啊 |
[37:49] | You go home at 5:00? | 你都5点回家? |
[37:52] | I just stopped by. | 只是顺道经过 |
[38:00] | – Are you dating your assistant? – No. | -你正在跟你助理约会吗? -没 |
[38:05] | – I heard you might be. – I’m not. | -我听说你可能会 -我不会 |
[38:08] | – She’s cute. – She’s my assistant. | -她很可爱 -她是我助理 |
[38:10] | – Are you dating Joey Lucas? – No. | -你正在跟乔依卢卡斯交往吗? -没 |
[38:12] | – She’s not your assistant. – I know. | -她又不是你助理 -我知道 |
[38:18] | You know the thing with guys like you? | 你知道你这种男人的癖好吗? |
[38:21] | – Why are we talking about this? – Because you stopped by. | -我们为什么讲到这件事? -因为你顺道经过 |
[38:25] | I’m a visible guy, people say things about me. | 我是个光明正大的男人 人们会讨论我 |
[38:28] | People write things. And what I do reflects on the president. | 写有关我的事 还有我做的事代表了总统 |
[38:31] | Nice save. | 救得漂亮 |
[38:33] | – I didn’t make that up. – Okay. | -这可不是编出来的 -好吧 |
[38:38] | What’s the thing about guys like me? | 我这种男人的癖好是什么? |
[38:44] | What’s the thing with guys like me? | 我这种男人的癖好是什么? |
[38:49] | You want to get hit over the head. | 喜欢头上被揍一拳 |
[38:54] | – I have to go. – See you. | -我得走了 -待会见 |
[39:06] | Taxi! | 计程车! |
[39:10] | What the hell?! | 搞什么鬼?! |
[39:12] | It was a water balloon! | 那是水球! |
[39:14] | What are you, 15 years old? You almost hit me in the head! | 你是15岁小女孩吗? 你差点打到我的头! |
[39:32] | The briefing begins in a few moments. Please take your seats. | 简报再过几分钟就要开始 请入座 |
[39:39] | Hey, Nancy. | 南西 |
[39:40] | I understand you’re troubled by the arms sale. | 南西 我知道你对军售案很不高兴 |
[39:42] | The Nazis were a bad analogy. We’re not fighting a war with Qumar. | 纳粹是个差劲的比喻 我们不是在跟库马打仗 |
[39:46] | Well, this isn’t the point, but we will. | 这不是重点,但有一天我们会 |
[39:49] | Of course we’ll be fighting a war with Qumar one day, and you know it. | 当然有一天我们会跟库马打 你知道的 |
[39:53] | At least we’ll be familiar with the weapons they’re using. | 至少我们熟悉他们使用的武器 |
[39:56] | We need Khalifa Air Base, we refuel there and we keep AWACS radar. | 我们需要卡利发空军基地补充燃油 那里还有警报控制系统雷达 |
[40:00] | We don’t need it, it’s convenient. We don’t need it. | 我们不需要雷达,这样比较方便 我们不需要雷达 |
[40:02] | We’ve got Turkey, Bahrain, Diego Garcia. Qumar’s convenient. | 我们有土耳其,巴林 迪戈加西亚岛,库马很方便 |
[40:05] | – Yes, it’s convenient. – They beat women, Nancy. | -对,是很方便 -他们打女人,南西 |
[40:08] | The only reason they keep Qumari women alive is to make more Qumari men. | 他们唯一让女人活着的理由 是为了生出更多库马男人 |
[40:12] | What do you want me to do? | 你要我怎么做? |
[40:14] | Instead of selling the guns to them, shooting the guns at them. | 不要把武器卖给他们 而把武器对准他们 |
[40:17] | Not to change the subject… | 我不是要改变话题 |
[40:19] | …but how do we have moral credibility when we talk about gun control… | 当我们谈到枪枝控制 确保枪枝不会跑到坏人手中 |
[40:23] | …and making sure guns don’t get to the wrong people? | 却把枪卖给他们 我们还有什么道德诚信可言? |
[40:26] | What the hell are we defining as the right people? | 我们怎么定义好人? |
[40:29] | In the real world, we can’t isolate our enemies. | 这是个现实世界 我们不能孤立敌人 |
[40:31] | I know the real world, I don’t suggest we isolate them. | 我知道什么是现实世界 我不是建议孤立他们 |
[40:34] | – You suggest we eliminate them. – I have a briefing. | -你建议灭绝他们 -我有个简报 |
[40:36] | – You… – I’m not suggesting anything. | -你 -我不是要建议任何事 |
[40:38] | – I don’t suggest foreign policy. – You are right now. | -我不是要建议外交政策 -你现在就是 |
[40:42] | It’s the 21 st century, Nancy, the world’s gotten smaller. | 现在是21世纪 南西,世界越来越小 |
[40:45] | I don’t know how we can tolerate this kind of suffering anymore… | 我不知道 我们还能忍受这种事多久 |
[40:48] | …when all it does is continue the cycle of anti-American hatred. | 这些事情只是一再循环 反美的恨意 |
[40:52] | – But that’s not the point. – What’s the point? | -但那不是重点 -重点是什么? |
[40:54] | The point is that apartheid was an East Hampton clambake… | 我们把东汉普敦海滩 野餐会的性别隔离 |
[40:58] | …compared to what we laughingly refer to as the life these women lead. | 开玩笑似地拿来跟 这些女人的悲惨生活相比 |
[41:02] | If we had sold M1-A1 s to South Africa, you’d have set the building on fire. | 要是你们曾把M1-A1卖给南非 整栋大楼就要烧起来了 |
[41:07] | Thank God we never needed to refuel in Johannesburg! | 感谢老天我们不用 去约翰尼斯堡补充燃油! |
[41:12] | It’s a big world, C.J. | 这个世界很大,茜洁 |
[41:14] | And everybody has guns. | 每个人都有枪 |
[41:16] | And I’m doing the best I can. | 我在尽我所能 |
[41:19] | They’re beating the women, Nancy. | 他们打女人,南西 |
[41:49] | Good evening, we have two birthdays today, so we have cake. | 晚安,今晚有两个人生日 所以有蛋糕 |
[41:53] | One cake. It’s nice to share. | 只有一个,让你们分 |
[41:56] | Before I take questions, a late addition to Monday’s schedule. | 在我回答问题之前 我先补充周一行程 |
[41:59] | The president will be at the Smithsonian exhibit opening… | 总统会参加 史密森学会展览开幕式 |
[42:03] | …commemorating the 60th Anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. | 纪念珍珠港事件60周年 |
[42:06] | That’s 3 in the afternoon, more information Monday morning. | 将在下午3点开始 周一早上提供详细行程 |
[42:10] | Labor Secretary Carl Reed will brief from this podium in one hour… | 劳工部长卡尔理德 将在一小时后在此简报 |
[42:13] | …on our school-to-work initiative. | 关于学生工作实习草案 |
[42:16] | There’ll be a briefing at the Department of Health and Human Services… | 在卫生部部门还有一场简报 |
[42:20] | …by USDA Director David Reingold. | 由农业部主席大卫雷格主持 |
[42:23] | Tuesday, you’ll be briefed at the Pentagon. | 周二在五角大厦有简报 |
[42:25] | The DOD will announce we’ve renewed our lease another 10 years in Qumar. | 国防部将宣布我们 与库马的基地续约10年 |
[42:31] | I understand they’ve promised to paint and add new carpet. | 据说他们答应重新粉刷 还要添购新地毯 |
[42:35] | A delegation from State and the U. N… | 国务院与联合国代表 |
[42:40] | …will be sitting down to go over some last-minute language for Vienna… | 将肩并肩共同审视 维也纳合约最后用字 |
[42:43] | …and for that trip, we’ll have your schedules ready next week. | 关于该次访问行程 下周将提供各位详情 |
[42:47] | – Who’s got a question? – Will you tell us what Mr. Reingold…? | -谁有问题? -请告诉我们雷格先生? |