时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | You know the thing with guys like you? | 你知道 你们这种男人的癖好吗? |
[00:10] | What’s the thing about guys like me? | 我们这种男人的癖好是什么? |
[00:12] | You wanna get hit over the head. | 你们想被一拳打在头上 |
[00:15] | – I have to go. – We’ll see you. | -我得走了 -待会见 |
[00:17] | I went to rehab. My friends embraced me when I got out. | 我去复健中心 当我出院时朋友拥抱我 |
[00:20] | You relapse, it’s not like that. | 然后你又开始酗酒,这不一样 |
[00:22] | It’s like,”Get away from me.” | 我的情形是“离我远一点” |
[00:24] | – Mr. McGarry, the date Jed Bartlet was… – No, I’m sorry. | -马加瑞先生,当杰德巴特勒 -不,我很抱歉 |
[00:27] | I’m going to resume this after the holidays. | 我宣布假期结束后重开庭 |
[00:29] | – What? – That concludes our… | -什么? -包括 |
[00:31] | … questioning. We’ll pick it up when the chairman… | 今天的问题 当主席敲槌时 |
[00:34] | … gavels the hearings to order. | 再从这里开始 (众议院共同协议172号) (瑞彭园办公大楼) (晚间10点45分) |
[01:05] | – Good evening. | – Good evening. -晚安 -晚安 |
[01:07] | – What are the police doing outside? – The door? | -警察在外面做什么? -门口? |
[01:10] | – Yeah. – That’s the Capitol Police. | -对 -那是国会警察 |
[01:11] | I know. What are they doing? | 我知道,他们在做什么? |
[01:13] | – I didn’t ask for them. – Who did? | -不是我叫的 -谁? |
[01:15] | Would you prefer they went away? | 你希望他们走开吗? |
[01:16] | If you offer a deal, I’d prefer there not be armed guards to intimidate him. | 如果你想谈条件 最好不要有武装警察在这里吓他 |
[01:20] | – I’m not that easily intimidated. – I am. | -我没那么容易被吓到 -我会 |
[01:23] | The chairman put them there to ensure our privacy. | 主席请他们来保护我们的隐私 |
[01:25] | – Tell them to wait at the end of the hall. – Counsel? | -叫他们去走廊末端等 -律师? |
[01:35] | Excuse me, officer. | 抱歉,长官 |
[01:43] | They’ve stepped to the other side of the hall. | 他们已经去大厅外面了 |
[01:45] | – Cliff. – Want me to overpower them? | -克利夫 -你要我对他们下令吗? |
[01:47] | I don’t care if the police are there, someone speak. | 我不在乎警察是否在这 有话快说 |
[01:50] | Yeah. Mr. McGarry… | 马加瑞先生 |
[01:52] | …this conversation’s off the record, see nobody’s taking it down. | 此次谈话不会被纪录下来 |
[01:55] | You mean what you’re about to say or the five minutes on the Capitol Police? | 你是说你将要说的话 还是跟国会警察有关的那五分钟? |
[01:59] | – The whole thing. – Okay. | -整件事 -好吧 |
[02:01] | Congressman Gibson. | 国会议员吉柏森 |
[02:04] | – Yeah. – Know where his testimony was going? | -对 -你知道他的证词内容? |
[02:07] | – Yes. – And where it’ll pick up? | -对 -你知道从哪里开始? |
[02:09] | – Yes. – We’re willing to end the hearings now. | -对 -我们愿意现在就中止公听会 |
[02:12] | – End his testimony? – His testimony. The first lady’s. | -中止他的证词? -他的跟第一夫人的 |
[02:14] | The balance of the witness list. The hearings. We’re willing to end them now. | 证人名单上的考量跟公听会 我们愿意现在就中止 |
[02:18] | – In exchange for…? – A joint resolution. HR 172. | -以什么为交换? -联合协议HR172 |
[02:22] | Censure. | 谴责 |
[02:24] | A resolution condemning the president for lying… | 谴责总统说谎 |
[02:26] | – He didn’t lie. – Leo. | -他没说谎 -里奥 |
[02:28] | …lying to the American people. | 对全国人民说谎 |
[02:30] | The White House can’t object. It has to welcome the resolution… | 白宫无权反驳 必须接受此协议 |
[02:33] | …and let any Democrat who wants to, vote in favor. | 并让任何有意愿的民主党员 投票表决 |
[02:35] | You say White House. You mean the president. | 你口口声声说白宫 你是指总统吧 |
[02:38] | – Yeah. – Why aren’t you talking to the president? | -对 -你为何不自己对他说? |
[02:40] | If you suggest it, it’ll carry more weight… | 如果由你来建议 会比发言人或主席 |
[02:43] | …than if it comes from the chairman or the speaker. | 更有份量 |
[02:45] | – Yeah? – Yes, sir. | -是吗? -对,长官 |
[02:47] | Okay, well. | 好吧 |
[02:49] | I’ll just call the president and suggest to him… | 我马上致电给总统 并建议他 |
[02:53] | …he allow a huge bipartisan vote… | 容许两党成员 |
[02:55] | …on the floor of the House of Representatives calling him a liar… | 在众议院会期中 公开投票说他是骗子 |
[02:58] | …and that he welcome the result. | 而且他接受投票结果 |
[03:00] | Then, I’m gonna flap my wings and fly to Neverland. | 然后我就要拍拍翅膀 飞到冷宫去 |
[03:03] | – Leo. – You think I’m so desperate… | -里奥 -我真有那么绝望 |
[03:05] | …to save my ass I’m gonna roll over on Jed Bartlet? | 到出卖杰德巴特勒 好救我自己? |
[03:08] | I take a bullet for the president. He doesn’t take one for me. | 我为总统挡子弹 他不必为我挡 |
[03:12] | Is that all you got? | 这就是你的条件? |
[03:14] | – Yeah. – Good night. | -对 -晚安 |
[03:26] | Can you give me some time? | 可以给我们一点时间吗? |
[03:28] | One day. | 一天 演出:罗伯洛 演出:杜希尔 演出:艾莉森詹尼 演出:珍妮尔摩隆奈 演出:里察薛福 演出:约翰史宾塞 演出:布雷迪威佛德 演出:马丁辛 |
[04:22] | – I’ve got copies. – Have you read it? | (白宫,早上7点00) -我拿到副本了 -你看完了吗? |
[04:24] | – Bits and pieces. – How is it? | -随便翻过 -怎样? |
[04:25] | I’m gonna set up a war room downstairs. | -随便翻过 -怎样? 我得在楼下设个选战讨论室 |
[04:27] | – It’s serious? – Yeah. | -这么严重? -对 |
[04:29] | – I’m up! – This is The Camera Doesn ‘t Lie: | -这么严重? -对 -我醒了! -这就是《镜头不会骗人: |
[04:32] | What I Saw at the Bartlet White House, by Ron Burkhalt. | 我在白宫看到的巴特勒》 朗柏赫特着 |
[04:36] | – You read it? – Bits and pieces. | -你看完了? -随便看过 |
[04:37] | – How is it? – I’m setting up a war room. | -你看完了? -随便看过 -怎样? -我要设一间选战讨论室 |
[04:40] | – It’s serious? – How many times do we have to do this? | -这么严重? -我得说几次? |
[04:43] | – I’m up. – We’re each taking a couple of chapters. | -我醒了 -每个人分配几章 |
[04:45] | This is based on what? | 以什么来分? |
[04:47] | – Going through the index. – So presumably… | 以什么来分? -先看目录 -先假设 |
[04:49] | …the chapters you’ve been assigned are about you. If not, trade. | 你被分配到的章节是关于你 如果不是就交换 |
[04:53] | What we’re doing is making note of anything that’s wrong. | 我们要做的就是记下 任何错误情节 |
[04:56] | – Anything to attack credibility. – I see one. | -任何可以打击可信度的事 -我看到一个了 |
[04:58] | – What? – I’m Larry, he’s Ed. | -什么? -我是赖瑞,他是艾德 |
[05:00] | I usually don’t know that. | 我通常不会知道 |
[05:02] | Sam? Are we taking this too seriously? | 我通常不会知道 山姆?我们是不是太紧张了? |
[05:05] | – No. – He was a photographer. He was fired. | -不会 -他曾是个摄影师,被我们解雇 |
[05:08] | – My recollection is he was a buffoon. – He was a buffoon. | -我记得他是个小丑 -他的确是个小丑 |
[05:10] | Which has always stopped the public from taking something seriously. | 这总是让大众 不把事情看得太严重 |
[05:14] | – What are you saying? – The book’s in stores in three weeks. | -你说什么? -书再过三周上架 |
[05:17] | In a week, the press’ll have excerpts and we have to turn him into a punch line. | 再过一周,媒体就会拿到摘要 我们得把他变成小丑 |
[05:21] | “Bartlet played a round of golf with Toby Ziegler… | “巴特勒跟托比齐格玩高尔夫 |
[05:24] | …the prickly communications director, whose inner darkness… | 托比是个难搞的通讯主任 他黑暗的人格 |
[05:27] | …spelled the breakup of the one marriage we know about.” | 制片:麦可西希斯瑞区 说明了他前次婚姻破裂的原因” |
[05:33] | It was miniature golf, wasn’t it? | 那是迷你高尔夫,对吧? 制片:亚力克葛拉夫斯 |
[05:39] | – Sam, got anything else? – No. Thank you. | 对 -山姆,还有事吗? -没了,谢谢 |
[05:45] | – Toby? – Yeah. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 -托比? -什么事 |
[05:46] | – Listen, you know Amy Gardner, right? – Women’s Leadership Coalition? | -听着,你认识艾咪嘉纳对吧? -女性领导联盟? |
[05:52] | I’ve known her a while. She went out with my roommate in college. | 我认识她有一会了 她跟我大学室友交往过 |
[05:55] | I saw her about some language in the Vienna treaty. | 我因为维也纳合约的不妥用语 跟她见过面 |
[05:58] | – I remember. – Mrs. Bartlet sent me there. | 制片:李维林威尔斯 |
[06:00] | – Yeah. – I don’t know, she’s changed her hair… | -我记得 -巴特勒夫人送我去的 -对 -我不知道是她换了发型 |
[06:02] | …or something. Something’s going on. | 编剧:艾伦索金 还是有别的原因 |
[06:06] | What do you need? | 你需要什么? |
[06:10] | Well, I’m a straight shooter. | 导演:文森米希阿诺 |
[06:12] | – I think my record’s clear on that. – Yeah. | 我是个直来直往的人 -我一向如此 -对 |
[06:15] | I’d like to see her again. | 我想再见她一面 |
[06:18] | – Call her. – And ask her out? | -打电话给她 -约她出去? |
[06:20] | – Yeah. – No. There’s the potential… | -打电话给她 -约她出去? -对 -不行,因为她有可能 |
[06:21] | …she says no and I have to move someplace… | 会拒绝 我就得躲到 |
[06:24] | …where it’ll never be spoken of again. I need to go under the cover of business. | 没有人找得到我的角落了 我必须以公事为借口约她 |
[06:28] | – You’re a straight shooter. – Yeah. I need friction. | -你是个直来直往的人 -对,我需要伪装 |
[06:31] | An issue where feministas and the White House disagree. I can go to her… | 帮我找个白宫跟女性团体 不合的议题,我就可以去找她 |
[06:34] | …break the bad news, stand tough, smooth it over. | 告诉她坏消息 先假装很难搞,然后软化 |
[06:37] | – Then I take it from there. – How about the word”feministas”? | -然后我就趁虚而入 -从这个字“女性主义”开始? |
[06:40] | You do outreach to women’s groups on the State of the Union. | 你在做国情咨文时 对女性团体捞过界了 |
[06:44] | – They’re happy. – Very happy? | -她们可高兴呢 -非常高兴? |
[06:45] | – Yeah. – With the surplus projections changing? | -她们可高兴呢 -非常高兴? -对 -预算黑字跟着改变? |
[06:48] | Women are getting a decent break. | 女性团体也得到应有的权利 |
[06:49] | Damn. Where are the pro-lifers when you need them? | 可恶,当你需要这些反对��胎者时 他们在哪? |
[06:52] | – Don’t they know you’re trying to get… – This is not that. | -他们难道不知道你只是要 -这跟那件事无关 |
[06:55] | She’s got… I really… I’m bewitched. I’m ensorcelled. | 她真的是 我被她所迷惑,完全迷住 |
[07:01] | There’s gotta be some way we’re screwing them over. | 我们一定有方法 可以把她们整垮 |
[07:06] | There’s an anti-family planning amendment… | 有一个外交政策增修条例的 |
[07:09] | …on a foreign ops supplemental. – It’s dead. | -反家庭计划修正案 -已应被封杀了 |
[07:11] | – Pay Equity Act? – They’re the ones who want to wait. | -薪资平等法案? -她们自己想等的 |
[07:14] | – Cancer screenings through Medicare? – Fully funded. Head Start’s okay. | -医疗补助的癌症检查? -完全资助,已经起跑了 |
[07:17] | – Paid family leave? – It’s a dream. | -有给产假? -那是不可能的 |
[07:19] | – They don’t wanna waste capital. – We can’t compromise like that. | -他们不想浪费资本 -我们不能这样就妥协 |
[07:23] | – They want us to compromise. – They should be outraged. | -是她们要我们妥协的 -她们应该要气炸了 |
[07:25] | They want a study funded. | 她们要求资助一个研究 |
[07:27] | – How much did we give them? – Almost everything they asked. | -我们给多少? -她们要的几乎全给了 |
[07:30] | – Almost? – They wanted 21 million. | -几乎? -她们要2100万 |
[07:32] | They’re getting 20.5. | 就得到2050万 |
[07:34] | Well, that’s practically an insult. | 那样就算侮辱了 |
[07:38] | Okay. Paid family leave. There it is. | 对,有给产假 就是这个 |
[07:40] | – Yeah, I’d go with paid family leave. – Paid family leave. There it is. Okay. | -就挑有给产假吧 -有给产假,好吧 |
[07:46] | – Hey. – Yeah? | -嗨 -什么? |
[07:53] | Listen. | 听着 |
[07:55] | Come here. | 过来 |
[08:03] | You’re inside, right? | 你知道内情吧? |
[08:05] | On what? | 哪件事情? |
[08:10] | Leo? | 里奥的事? |
[08:12] | You were nervous when he took the stand before the break. | 当他回到证人席上时 其实你很紧张 |
[08:15] | So was the president. | 总统也是 |
[08:17] | Then they called the recess. | 总统也是 然后他们就宣布休庭 |
[08:20] | I don’t know what was going on. | 我不知道发生什么事 |
[08:22] | That’s the way somebody wants it, but you’re inside, right? | 我不知道发生什么事 那是有人设计好的 不过你知道内情,对吧? |
[08:25] | Yeah. | 对 |
[08:27] | Good. | 很好 |
[08:31] | If it’s something Communications is gonna have to work with… . | 如果这件事跟通讯部门有关 |
[08:35] | The lawyers are talking about it. | 律师正在讨论 |
[08:37] | – When I have to know, I will? – Yeah. | -当我该知道时就会知道吧? -对 |
[08:40] | Okay. | 很好 |
[08:44] | Paid family leave. | 有给产假 |
[08:51] | – Charlie. – Good morning. | -查理 -早安 |
[08:52] | – How was your weekend? – Good. | -周末过得如何? -很好 |
[08:54] | – What did you do? – Most of the time I was with you. | -周末过得如何? -很好 -你去哪了? -大部分时间我都陪着你 |
[08:57] | Time well spent. | 时光飞逝 |
[08:58] | – Weren’t you going to a flea market? – I got you something. | 时光飞逝 -你不是去跳蚤市场了吗? -我帮你买了样东西 |
[09:01] | – You didn’t have to do that. – Yeah? | -你真是太多礼了 -什么? |
[09:03] | It’s a map of the Holy Land that was drawn in 1709. | 这是1709年画的宗教圣地地图 |
[09:06] | It’s titled”Canaan, Palestine or The Holy Land.” | 标题是“迦南 巴勒斯坦或圣地” |
[09:10] | – Hey, nice sucking up. – Thank you, sir. | -马屁拍得不错 -谢谢,长官 |
[09:13] | Look at these topographical details. | 看看这些地形图多详细 |
[09:15] | Seriously, I’m gonna have this framed, this is great. | 说真的,我要把它裱起来 这真是太棒了 |
[09:18] | – If you leave it, I’ll send it out. – No, I’ll play with it more. | -交给我,我帮你裱 -不了,我得先把玩一阵子 |
[09:21] | – Good morning. – Look at this map, 1709. | -早安 -看看这张地图,1709年 |
[09:27] | The Dead Sea, Jordan River, Mount Sinai. | 死海、约旦河、西奈山 |
[09:30] | That’s beautiful. | 真是漂亮 |
[09:33] | – You wanna come inside? – Yeah. | -你要来里面谈吗? -对 |
[09:36] | Thanks again, Charlie. | 再次谢谢你,查理 |
[09:42] | How’d it go? | 事情怎样? |
[09:44] | – Last night? – Yeah. | -昨晚的事? -对 |
[09:45] | It was nothing. | -昨晚的事? -对 没什么 |
[09:47] | – What did they offer? – Nothing. | -他们提什么条件? -没什么 |
[09:50] | – They didn’t offer nothing. – It was a nonstarter, don’t worry. | -他们才不可能啥都没提 -根本没得谈,别担心 |
[09:53] | – Censure? – Yeah. | -谴责? -对 |
[09:56] | Anyway, I’m gonna go to a budget meeting where the OMB and Treasury… | 我待会要跟预算管理局 开预算会议,还有财政部 |
[10:00] | …will recommend we drop the Child Poverty Fund… | 会建议我们放弃 儿童贫穷基金 |
[10:03] | …from the State of the Union. – Well, I get it. | -在国情咨文里 -我知道原因 |
[10:05] | See what you can do about it. | 看你怎么处理 |
[10:07] | – Anything else? – No. | -还有别的事吗? -没了 |
[10:08] | – I’ve got a security briefing downstairs. – Thank you. | -还有别的事吗? -没了 -我要去楼下听安全简报 -谢谢 |
[10:16] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[10:18] | – Remember me? – Margaret! | -记得我吗? -玛格丽特! |
[10:21] | – I was with you at last night’s meeting. – Yes. | -我是昨晚跟你开会的人 -对 |
[10:24] | When you left, I wasn’t with you. | 你走时,我没跟你一起走 |
[10:25] | – Yes. – Is it just an open house in here? | -什么 -这里难道是公共场所吗? |
[10:28] | – The whole system’s gotten out of hand. – Yeah. | -整个系统都一片混乱了 -是啊 |
[10:31] | – You left without me. – If I’m gonna make a strong exit… | -你丢下我就走了 -如果我要表现出愤慨离去 |
[10:34] | …I can’t wait for you to get your purse. – How long does that take? | -我可不能等你拿皮包啊 -那会需要多久? |
[10:38] | – I’ve asked that my entire adult life. – It’s a non-binding resolution. | -我一生都在问这问题 -这是无约束的协议 |
[10:42] | – Know what that means? – No, tell me. | -知道那是什么意思吗? -不,请告诉我 |
[10:44] | I’ve started to take an interest in government. | 我开始对政府的运作有兴趣了 |
[10:46] | – Know the force and effect it has? – Jord… | -知道它的法律效力吗? -乔 |
[10:48] | None! No force and effect. | 完全没有!没有法律效力可言 |
[10:50] | This is a sampling of non-binding joint resolutions from the 106th Congress. | 第106次国会也有类似的 无约束力联合协议 |
[10:55] | – I have a meeting. – Resolution supporting Ohio state motto. | -我有会要开 -还有支持俄亥俄州格言的协议 |
[10:58] | A resolution fostering friendship and cooperation with Mongolia. | 与蒙古培养友谊与合作的协议 |
[11:02] | – I have a meeting. – A resolution recognizing… | -我有会要开 -赞赏田纳西州 |
[11:04] | …the contributions of Tennessee to the development of country music. | 对培植乡村音乐不遗余力 的协议 |
[11:08] | – I have a budget meeting… – A resolution supporting Little League. | -我有个预算会议 -支持小联盟棒球的协议 |
[11:12] | – Jordan… – A resolution… | -乔登 -协议 |
[11:13] | This isn’t that! | 这跟那不一样! |
[11:15] | This is 535 congressmen and senators… | 535个国会议员跟参议员 |
[11:17] | …standing up and saying the president lied and should be ashamed of himself… | 站出来说总统骗人 而且应该为自己感到羞耻 |
[11:22] | …and this is us standing up and saying,”You’re right.” | 也代表我们站出来说 “你说得对” |
[11:25] | This would be the first time ever a president has been censured. | 这会是史上第一次 有总统遭到谴责 |
[11:29] | Congress isn’t talk radio, it’s the seat of democracy. | 国会可不是广播秀 而是民主殿堂 |
[11:32] | Their opinion matters. Their condemnation doesn’t need handcuffs… | 他们的意见有份量 他们的谴责不需要手铐 |
[11:35] | …to devastate this president. | 就能把总统逼死 |
[11:37] | That is the force and effect, and it’s not gonna happen because of me! | 那就是它的效力 我不会让这种事因我发生! |
[11:44] | I have a budget meeting, Jordan. | 我要去开预算会议,乔登 |
[11:58] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[12:00] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[12:02] | – Listen. – Yeah. | -听着 -怎样 |
[12:04] | – How’s it going with the thing? – My chapters? | -事情进行得如何? -我那一章吗? |
[12:07] | – I’m done. – And? | -我看完了 -然后呢? |
[12:08] | I’m fine with it. | 我没意见 |
[12:10] | – What do you mean? – I’m fine with it. | -什么意思? -我没意见 |
[12:12] | You’re saying it’s all true? | 你是说那全是真的? |
[12:14] | – No. Hardly any of it’s true. – What’s not true? | -不,几乎没一件事是真的 -哪件事? |
[12:16] | My name is Toby Ziegler and I’m the communications director. | 我的名字是托比齐格 我是通讯主任 |
[12:19] | Though there’s a typo in communications at one point. Perhaps. | 虽然通讯的通有一个字打错了 只是有可能 |
[12:23] | Perhaps. | 有可能 |
[12:24] | Perhaps I mumble from time to time, but prickly, I do not think so. | 也许我常常喃喃自语 但讨人厌的是,我不认为我有 |
[12:28] | Nonetheless, I’m fine with it. | 除此之外,我没意见 |
[12:30] | Toby, no kidding, I need a fact/fiction paper. | 托比,别开玩笑 我需要一张真假报告 |
[12:32] | I’d rather not have one over my signature. | 我宁愿上面没有我的签字 |
[12:35] | There’s a ticking clock. It has to get discredited before it’s real. | 时间不多了,必须在书出版之前 取消它的可信度 |
[12:38] | I remember this guy as a not very talented, not very pleasant… | 我记得这家伙并不聪明 也不风趣 |
[12:42] | …malcontent, who wasn’t here very long. | 忧郁,在这里待不久 |
[12:44] | – Am I remembering the right guy? – Yeah. | -我没记错人吧? -没 |
[12:47] | Yeah, I don’t want him to know I remember him at all. | 我根本不想让他知道 我还记得他 |
[12:50] | That’s nice. If we can only get 200 million other people to think that way. | 那是不错,如果能让 2亿人也这么想就好了 |
[12:54] | Conventional wisdom in Washington is like concrete. | 华府的大众意见就像水泥 |
[12:57] | It hardens, there’s nothing you can do about it. So let’s… | 它会愈来越硬 你啥也不能做,我们只好 |
[13:00] | Is there anything in particular? | 有什么特别的事吗? |
[13:01] | – In your chapters? – Yeah. | -在你的章节里面? -对 |
[13:03] | It says we were sent out of the Oval Office to write an introduction… | 他说我们两个被派到 椭圆办公室以外,写一篇 |
[13:07] | …for a Teacher of the Year ceremony, while others stayed… | 年度优良教师的演讲词 当其他人留在办公室 |
[13:10] | …to discuss Latin America. We weren’t sent out. | 讨论南美洲事务 我们没有被派去 |
[13:13] | We left voluntarily to work on an education address… | 我们是自愿写那份教育讲稿 |
[13:16] | …instead of waiting 10 minutes while operators connected the president… | 不想留下来等10分钟 等接线员将电话接给总统 |
[13:20] | …with the president of Ecuador, who was complaining… | 跟厄瓜多尔总统 听他抱怨 |
[13:23] | …about how we resolve the banana crisis. | 我们处理香蕉过剩不当的问题 我们没有被派去 |
[13:25] | We weren’t sent out. | |
[13:26] | – Will you put that down in a memo? – Yeah. | -把这件事记在备忘录好吗? -好 |
[13:36] | He’ll be ready for you in a minute. | 他马上就能见你了 |
[13:38] | Okay. | 好的 |
[13:42] | On Carol’s birthday, | 在卡萝的生日上 你是不是参加了 |
[13:45] | …where they tried to contact Margaret’s grandmother? | 召唤玛格丽特祖母的降神会? |
[13:50] | No, right? | 没有对吧? |
[13:55] | Yes, sir. | 是的,长官 |
[13:59] | You can go on in. | 你可以进去了 |
[14:01] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[14:05] | – Hey. – Good afternoon, Mr. President. | -嗨 -午安,总统先生 |
[14:07] | There seems to be a growing consensus that no one believes… | 似乎有越来越多舆论说 没人相信 |
[14:10] | …I’m serious about paying down a trillion dollars of the debt… | 我是真心想要付清 一笔上兆美元的债 |
[14:14] | …when I’m willing to spend 200 billion on the Child Poverty Fund. | 同时还愿意再花2亿美元 补助儿童贫穷基金 |
[14:17] | – I agree. – I’m not saying we’re not gonna do it. | -我同意 -我不是说我们不做 |
[14:20] | We’re just gonna find a different way of saying we’re gonna do it. | 只是要找别的方式 说我们要做 |
[14:23] | – We’re on it. – Anything else? | -我们会做 -还有别的事吗? |
[14:25] | – Thank you, Mr. President. – Thank you. | -谢谢,总统先生 -谢谢 |
[14:32] | What’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[14:33] | I guess you should know we have galleys of a book that’s coming out. | 我猜你大概知道 有本关于白宫的书要出版了 |
[14:37] | A kiss and tell by a photographer who worked here for about a half-hour. | 来自一个专门泄密的摄影师 他曾为我们工作过半小时 |
[14:41] | – Fiction or nonfiction? – Science fiction. | -小说还是非小说? -科幻小说 |
[14:43] | What else? | 还有呢? |
[14:45] | Everything else is the State of the Union. | 还有呢? 其他都是关于国情咨文 |
[14:47] | All right. Hey, you wanna see something? | 好吧 想不想看样东西? |
[14:50] | Charlie gave this to me. | 查理送我的 |
[14:51] | It’s a map of the Holy Land, drawn in 1709. | 是一幅圣地地图 1709年画的 |
[14:54] | He got it at a flea market. | 他在跳蚤市场买的 |
[14:56] | It’s hand-colored, copper-engraved. I was gonna put it in the outer office. | 手工上色,铜版印刷 我要把它放在外部办公室 |
[15:00] | – This outer office? – Yeah. | 外部办公室?不行 |
[15:02] | – No. – Why? | 外部办公室?不行 |
[15:04] | – Why? – Yeah. | -为什么? -为什么? |
[15:05] | Because some people are gonna find it offensive. | 因为有些人会觉得被冒犯 |
[15:07] | – Why? – It doesn’t recognize Israel. | -为什么? -因为上面没有以色列 |
[15:11] | – It was drawn in 1709. – Yeah. | -因为这是在1709年画的 -对 |
[15:13] | There was no Israel. Israel wouldn’t happen for another 250 years. | 上面没有以色列 因为他们建国是250年以后的事 |
[15:17] | – Yeah. – So, what’s the problem with the map? | -对 -地图有什么问题? |
[15:19] | – Some people are gonna find it offensive. – Why? | -有些人会觉得被冒犯 -为什么? |
[15:22] | – It doesn’t recognize Israel. – Take lunch, would you? | -它不承认以色列 -拜托你去吃午餐 |
[15:27] | Hey, your favorite movie was on TV last night. | 昨晚电视在播你最爱的电影 |
[15:29] | By God, I’m 50, alive and a king, all at the same time. | 天哪,我已经50岁了 同时还是个国王 |
[15:34] | I turned it on as they got to the scene when Richard, Geoffrey and John… | 我打开电视时,正好播到 理查、杰佛瑞跟约翰 |
[15:38] | …were locked in the dungeon. Henry was coming down to execute them. | 被锁在地牢那一幕 亨利正要下去处决他们 |
[15:42] | Richard tells his brothers not to cower, but to take it like men. | 理查告诉兄弟们不要害怕 要像男人一样接受死亡 |
[15:45] | And Geoffrey says,”You fool. | 杰佛瑞却说“你这笨蛋 |
[15:47] | As if it matters how a man falls down.” | 怎么死还有差吗” |
[15:51] | And Richard says, “When the fall is all that’s left… | 理查说 “当你只剩死法能定义你 |
[15:55] | …it matters a great deal.” | 怎么死可是大事一件” |
[15:58] | It matters a great deal. | 这可是大事一件 |
[16:01] | You trying to tell me something? | 你试着要告诉我某件事? |
[16:04] | No, Mr. President, of course not. | 不敢,总统先生,当然没有 |
[16:08] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[16:10] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢,长官 |
[16:20] | Josh Lyman’s office. | 乔西赖曼办公室 |
[16:22] | – Hi, Amy, it’s Donna Moss. – I’ll take it. That’s for me. | -艾咪,我是唐娜摩斯 -我来接, 那是找我的 |
[16:26] | Yeah, I’m not sure if he’s in. Let me check. | 我不确定他在不在 让我瞧瞧 |
[16:28] | Press hold. And I will pick up the phone in my office. | 先等一下 我在办公室接电话 |
[16:31] | I’m sorry, how does a telephone work again? | 抱歉 我忘记电话怎么用了 |
[16:35] | Hang on just a second, Amy. | 请稍等,艾咪 |
[16:45] | – Amy. -Hey, J. | -艾咪 -乔 |
[16:46] | – How you doing? -Good, and you? | -你还好吧? -很好,你呢? |
[16:48] | – Good. – My office said you called. | -很好 -我办公室说你打来过 |
[16:50] | Are you wrestling with someone, are you in the middle of a match? | 你正在跟某人摔角 还是正在踢球? |
[16:55] | – I’m at the gym. – You spend a lot of time at the gym. | -我在健身房 -你在健身房花很多时间 |
[16:58] | – Compared to whom? – Compared to me. | -跟谁比? -跟我比 |
[17:02] | – We need to talk about something. – What’s that? | -我有事找你谈 -什么事? |
[17:09] | Josh? | 乔西? |
[17:13] | Paid family leave. Sorry, there was a dog in here for a second. | 有给产假,抱歉 刚刚有只狗跑进来 |
[17:18] | A dog? | 狗? |
[17:20] | A nice one, it was okay. | 可爱的狗狗,没事 |
[17:22] | So, what about paid family leave? | 有给产假怎么了? |
[17:24] | I’d like to talk about this in person, any chance we can get together? | 我想私底下谈 可以找个机会聚聚吗? |
[17:28] | Sure. Can you have a late drink tonight? | 当然,晚上出来喝一杯怎样? |
[17:30] | – Yes. As late as you like. -Great. I have a date. | -好,多晚都可以 -很好,我有约会 |
[17:34] | – But I should be able to meet by 11. -Well, I don ‘t want to… | -但11点我应该可以见你 -不过我可不想 |
[17:38] | …bust up your date or anything. -No. | -把你的约会搞砸 -不会 |
[17:40] | We’re going to the ballet, I can meet you. | 我们只是去看芭蕾 我可以见你 |
[17:42] | -How’s the Ritz-Carlton? – Eleven o’clock. | -丽晶酒店如何? -11点 |
[17:45] | See you then. | 到时见 |
[17:51] | – Anything? – Phone messages. | -有事吗? -电话留言 |
[17:53] | – Thank you. – I’m moving the 4:00 with Treasury. | -谢谢 -我把财政部会议改到4点 |
[17:56] | – Okay. – They upped the prediction… | -好 -他们把明晨积雪预测 |
[17:57] | …to 18 inches by morning. Jordan Kindall’s still in your office. | 提高到18寸 乔登坎朵还在你办公室里 |
[18:01] | A resolution recognizing the important contributions… | 认可美国奥地利后裔 |
[18:04] | …of Americans of Austrian descent. | 的卓越贡献的协议 |
[18:07] | – Margaret? – I’m sorry. Was our meeting over? | -玛格丽特? -抱歉,我们的会议结束了吗? |
[18:11] | – Yes? – Close the door. | -什么事? -把门关上 |
[18:14] | A resolution remembering the life of Washington. There was a chance… | 记住华盛顿生平的协议 以免我们可能 |
[18:18] | …we were gonna forget. – Look… | -会忘记 -听着 |
[18:20] | What’s the tall thing at the end of the mall? | 那个放在购物中心角落 高高的雕像是什么? |
[18:23] | A monument? Where are we? | 纪念碑? 我们说到哪了? |
[18:24] | – Jordan… – No. | 纪念碑? 我们说到哪了? -乔登 -不 |
[18:26] | The opinion of Congress matters? Yes. They rattle it off every day on television. | -乔登 -不 国会的意见很重要?是的 他们每天在电视上提个不停 |
[18:30] | – It’s not the… – Your reputation’s saved. | -这不是 -你的名声保住了 |
[18:32] | – My reputation isn’t… – He put you on the hot seat. | -我的名声不 -他把你逼入困境 |
[18:35] | – This is not your thing. – It is my thing. | -这不是你的问题 -这是我的问题 |
[18:37] | I can’t allow you to talk like that. | 我不能让你这么说话 |
[18:39] | I wasn’t seeking your permission. You need to get… | 我可没有在征求你的同意 你必须了解 |
[18:42] | You need to get that I am the White House chief of staff. | 你必须了解 我是白宫幕僚长 |
[18:45] | How much longer do you think you’ll keep that job… | 如果你被他们逼着 说出整个故事 |
[18:48] | …if you tell the story they’ll make you tell? | 你以为你这饭碗 还能保住多久? |
[18:50] | Play the tape through to the end, Leo. | 陪他们玩到底,里奥 |
[18:54] | It’s not my decision. | 这不是我能决定 |
[18:56] | I think it is. | 我想是的 |
[18:58] | In fact, I know it. | 事实上,我知道 |
[19:01] | And you know it too. | 你也知道 |
[19:04] | I have a meeting. | 我有会要开 (选巴特勒当美国总统) |
[19:30] | – What are you still doing here? – C.J. ‘s here. | -你怎么还在这儿? -茜洁还在这儿 |
[19:32] | – The book? – Yeah. | -关于那本书? -对 |
[19:34] | – You know if it’s started snowing yet? – It hasn’t. | -关于那本书? -对 -你知道何时开始下雪吗? -还没 |
[19:37] | How is it supposed to be 18 inches by the morning if it hasn’t started? | 既然都还没开始下 明晨怎么会有18寸积雪? |
[19:41] | It accumulates by a magnitude, I don’t know. | 雪是根据下的量累积 我不知道 |
[19:43] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[19:45] | – Josh? – Yeah. | 好吧 -乔西? -什么事 |
[19:47] | You wanted me to tell you when it’s 10:45. | 你要我10点45叫你 现在就是了 |
[19:51] | See you. | 待会见 |
[19:53] | I’ll get home fine. | 待会见 我会安全回到家 |
[19:57] | What’s the problem? | 有问题吗? |
[19:59] | It’s not fit for man nor beast out there. | 有问题吗? 那种场合不适合男人或野兽 |
[20:02] | Has it started snowing yet? | 已经开始下雪了吗? |
[20:04] | It accumulates by a magnitude. | 雪是根据下的量累积 |
[20:07] | – I’ll see you. – You want this? | -明天见 -你要接这通吗? |
[20:10] | No. | 不 |
[20:13] | – Josh Lyman’s office. -Donna? | -乔西赖曼办公室 -唐娜? |
[20:15] | – Yeah. -It’s Cliff. | -对 -我是克利夫 |
[20:20] | I need to meet with you and I need for nobody else to know it’s happening. | 我需要见你 而且别让任何人知道这件事 |
[20:23] | – Can you meet me right now? -Why? | -你可以现在见我吗? -为什么? |
[20:25] | It’s not social. | -你可以现在见我吗? -为什么? 我不是要聊天 |
[20:27] | No way. I can’t. | 我不是要聊天 不行,我办不到 |
[20:29] | There’s nothing wrong. It’s not against the law. | 我们又没做错事 这并不违法 |
[20:33] | – How do I know? -I’m a lawyer. | -我怎么知道? -我是个律师 |
[20:35] | – You’re not my lawyer. – I’ll be at Georgetown Law Library… | -你又不是我的律师 -我20分钟后会在法律图书馆 |
[20:38] | …in 20 minutes. | |
[20:39] | I’ll be in the Federal Case Law section. | 在联邦事务法区域 |
[20:41] | I’m a senior assistant. This is way over my head. It doesn’t feel right. | 我是资深白宫助理 这件事在我之上,我觉得不对劲 |
[20:45] | I can’t go deep-throating in the middle… | 我不能从内部泄密 在这种时机 |
[20:49] | Cliff? | 克利夫? |
[20:53] | Are you there? | 你还在吗? |
[21:01] | – Sir? C.J. – Thanks. | -长官?茜洁来了 -谢谢 |
[21:04] | – Good evening, Mr. President. – Hey, C.J. | -晚安,总统先生 -茜洁 |
[21:08] | – You’re working late. – You too, what’s up? | -你加班很晚喔 -你也是,怎么了? |
[21:10] | – Well, this might sound ridiculous. – Let’s lay odds. | -这可能听起来很荒谬 -说说看吧 |
[21:13] | – We’re trying to vet this book. – I heard about it. | -我们正在检查这本书 -我听说了 |
[21:17] | – So. – Yes? | -那么 -然后呢? |
[21:20] | “It is well-known in the White House, after having two daughters… | “白宫的人都知道 巴特勒在有了两个女儿后 |
[21:23] | …Bartlet wanted a son and sought advice from the book: | 一直很想要个儿子 而寻求这本书的建议: |
[21:26] | …How to Choose the Sex of Your Baby, by Dr. Landrum B. Shettles. | 《如何选择宝宝的性别》 兰德谢特博士着 |
[21:30] | The book recommends that the father-to-be ‘avoid jockey shorts… | 这本书建议每位准爸爸 勿穿着三角裤 |
[21:34] | …jockstraps and other tight-fitting clothes. ‘” | 紧身三角裤或其他紧身衣” |
[21:39] | Yeah? | 什么? 所以我想你的答案是不 |
[21:42] | So I can put you down for a no. | |
[21:45] | When you’re gonna be a father, you root for 10 fingers, 10 toes, that’s it. | 当你身为准爸爸时,你只祈求 10根手指,10根脚趾,就这样 |
[21:49] | – Thank you, Mr. President. – Wait. | -谢谢,总统先生 -等等 |
[21:50] | I wanna show you this map Charlie found. | -谢谢,总统先生 -等等 先看看这张查理找到的地图 |
[21:53] | I know. You can’t put it up in the West Wing. | 我知道 你不能把它放在西厢 |
[21:56] | – C.J. – It doesn’t recognize Israel. | -茜洁 -它不承认以色列 |
[21:57] | – There was no Israel in 1709. – That’s right. | -以色列在1709年又不存在 -没错 |
[22:01] | – So it’s not on the map. – Which is what some will find offensive. | -所以才不在地图上 -所以才会有人觉得被冒犯 |
[22:04] | – That’s ridiculous. – Know what would be great? | -真是荒谬 -知道怎么作最好吗? |
[22:06] | – If I put it someplace else? – Yes. | -放在别的地方? -对 |
[22:08] | Leo has, in what was his house when he was married, a map of the U.S. | 里奥在他结婚住的那栋房子里 有一张美国地图 |
[22:13] | The first third of it is the 13 original colonies. | 前三分之一是 13个原始殖民地 |
[22:15] | The second third is the French Territory of Louisiana, the third third is Mexico. | 前三分之二是法属领地 路易西安那州,最后是墨西哥 |
[22:21] | In this map of the United States there is not a single state. | 在那张美国地图上 连一州也没有 |
[22:24] | That’s because when this map was made there was no United States. | 因为当地图绘制时 根本没有美国 |
[22:28] | I’m the president of the United States. I’m not offended by it. | 我是美国总统 我可不觉得被冒犯 |
[22:31] | You’re bigger than 10 men. Say we put it out of the way. | 你的地位比10个人还大 如果硬要我说的话 |
[22:34] | I’m having it enlarged and bolting it to the hood of my limo. | 我要把它放大 贴在我的礼车的前车盖 |
[22:38] | They don’t want us to put up our map, Charlie. | 他们不让我们把地图贴出去 查理 |
[22:40] | They’re Philistines in the fight for freedom… | 他们只是自由之战中 的一群市侩之徒 |
[22:43] | …but that doesn’t bother us, does it? | 可是我们不在乎,对吧? |
[22:47] | Never mind. | 算了 |
[22:48] | I’m not agreeing with the people who are gonna be offended. | 算了 我并不同意 可能会觉得被冒犯的人 |
[22:51] | You’re asking for a lot of pain in exchange for nothing but an old map. | 可是一阵激烈鞑伐后 你得到的只是一张旧地图 |
[22:57] | That’s the key, an old map, an old map. | 那就是重点,一张旧地图 一张旧地图 |
[23:01] | – Spin that. – You got me spinning things. | -去帮我关说 -现在你又要我到处走动 -还有事吗? -你没穿特别的内裤吧? |
[23:03] | – Anything else? – You didn’t have special underwear? | |
[23:07] | – Thank you. – Thank you, Mr. President. | -谢谢 -谢谢,总统先生 |
[23:33] | Donna? | 唐娜? |
[23:36] | – What’s going on? – Thanks for coming. | |
[23:38] | – What’s going on? – I need to set up a meeting with Josh. | -怎么了? -谢谢你来 -怎么了? -我必须跟乔西约时间见面 |
[23:42] | A phone conversation is fine. I need it right away. | 电话会谈也可以 我现在就需要谈 |
[23:44] | Is this why your office has been calling? | 这就是为什么你办公室 一直打电话来? |
[23:46] | – We wouldn’t be here if you’d call back. – I return the calls Josh tells me to. | -如果你回电,我们就不会在这了 -我回电因为乔西叫我打 |
[23:52] | – I need the conversation. – Why? | -我需要跟他会谈 -为什么? |
[23:54] | – I can’t say why. – I can’t. | -我不能说为什么 -我不能 |
[23:55] | – I can’t tell Josh we spoke. – There’s no jeopardy. | -我不能说为什么 -我不能 -我不能告诉乔西说我们谈过 -这又没有危险 |
[23:58] | I’d be going behind the backs of the Counsel… | 这就等于在白宫律师背后 偷偷做事 |
[24:01] | I’m trying to help Leo McGarry. | 我是在帮里奥马加瑞 |
[24:03] | Since when are you in the business of helping Leo McGarry? | 你何时开始帮起里奥马加瑞了? |
[24:15] | You’re the one who had the recess called. | 你就是那个 让主席宣布休会的人 |
[24:20] | Before the Christmas break. | 就在圣诞节前夕 |
[24:22] | – You’re the reason they adjourned. – I’m not. | -你是逼他们休会的人 -我不是 |
[24:26] | – You had the recess called. – It was the chairman. | -你让他们宣布休会 -是主席 |
[24:28] | You got him to do it. | 但是你逼他的 |
[24:30] | Something was about to happen, and a recess was called and Josh was relieved. | 但是你逼他的 某件事情可能要发生 结果宣布休会,乔西松了一口气 |
[24:34] | – What was about to happen? – I can’t tell you that. | -是什么事要发生? -我现在不能说 |
[24:40] | It was you. | 是你 |
[24:42] | I need to talk to Josh. | 我得跟乔西谈 |
[24:51] | I’m leaving now. | 我要走了 |
[24:54] | Wait by your phone. | 在电话旁等我 |
[25:14] | – Hello. – Hi. | -哈�� -嗨 |
[25:16] | – How was the ballet? – It was wonderful. | -芭蕾如何? -很精采 |
[25:18] | – Which one was it? – Do you know ballet? | -是哪一出? -你知道芭蕾吗? |
[25:21] | I know The Nutcracker, though I’ve never been. | 我知道《胡桃钳》 虽然我还没看过 |
[25:23] | – There are others. – I should start with The Nutcracker? | -还有别的 -但我应该先看《胡桃钳》对吧? |
[25:27] | – You don’t like the ballet? – No. | -你不喜欢芭蕾吧? -对 |
[25:29] | You’ve reached that conclusion without ever having been to one. | 你还没看过芭蕾剧 就已经下了结论 |
[25:32] | I’ve never been to Bosnia either. I don’t think I will. | 我从没去过波士尼亚 我也不认为我会去 |
[25:35] | Don’t mind sending Marines though, do you? | 送战舰过去你倒是不介意 对吧? |
[25:37] | Not a bit. | 当然 |
[25:39] | – Hey, can I get you something? – Absolut martini on the rocks. | -要喝什么吗? -马丁尼加冰块 |
[25:43] | Two olives, please. | 两颗橄榄,麻烦你 |
[25:46] | What do you want, J? | 你想要什么,乔? |
[25:48] | – I’m sorry? – What do you wanna talk about? | -什么? -你想要谈什么? |
[25:51] | Paid family leave. | 有给产假 |
[25:52] | – What about it? – It’s not gonna happen. | -怎么了? -不可能成功 |
[25:55] | – I know. – At least not this year. | -我知道 -至少不在今年 |
[25:58] | – I know. – I mean we can’t even go for it. | -我知道 -我是说,我们连试试都不行 |
[26:01] | – We asked you not to go for it. – We can’t. | -我们要求你们放弃的 -我们不能 |
[26:05] | Josh, our lobbyists sat with Legislative Affairs… | 乔西,我们的游说团 跟立法部门亲自面谈 |
[26:08] | …and everybody decided it would cost too much in political capital. | 大家都认为有给产假 占去太多政治资本 |
[26:12] | Who was the date? | 你的约会对象是谁? |
[26:14] | – Excuse me? – At the ballet. | -什么? -芭蕾剧的 |
[26:16] | A guy I’ve been seeing. | 我交往一阵子的家伙 |
[26:19] | – And he likes the ballet? – He likes me. | -他喜欢芭蕾? -他喜欢我 |
[26:22] | – I think he likes the ballet. – What is that supposed to mean? | -我以为他喜欢芭蕾 -这是什么意思? |
[26:26] | Thank you. Thank you for the extra olive. | 谢谢 谢谢你给我多的橄榄 |
[26:29] | Sure. | 当然 |
[26:32] | “Sure.” | “当然” |
[26:34] | That’s your type, isn’t it? | 那是你的型,对吧? |
[26:35] | – Won’t catch her at the ballet. – Or in a library either. | 那是你的型,对吧? -总不会在看芭蕾剧时搭上 -也不会在图书馆 |
[26:39] | – She seemed smart. – What do you want? | -她看起来很聪明 -你要什么? |
[26:43] | – About what? | -你怎么能无动于衷? -对什么? |
[26:45] | The United States is one of only six other countries out of 152… | 美国是世界上152个国家中 其国家政策 |
[26:49] | …that has no national policy regarding paid maternal leave. | 完全不考虑有给产假的 唯一的六个国家之一 |
[26:52] | Neither does Papua New Guinea, so we’re fine. | 巴布亚新几内亚也不考虑 所以我们没问题 |
[26:55] | – Really? – Why you talking to me? Get… | -真的? -你为什么找我谈?去 |
[26:57] | – Can’t do it. – I know! | -办不到 -我知道! |
[26:58] | But, money has been put aside for a study. | -办不到 -我知道! 但是,那笔钱已经预定 用来资助一个研究 |
[27:01] | – That’s great. – The thing is… | -很好 -不过 |
[27:02] | …and here’s the bad news. – Yeah? | -还是有坏消息 -什么? |
[27:04] | – You guys wanted 21 million? – Yeah. | -你们要2100万? -对 |
[27:07] | It’s gonna be $20,500,000. | 我们会给2050万 |
[27:11] | You wanna take my head off, go ahead. | 想砍我头的话,请便 |
[27:14] | What the hell is going on? | 你在搞什么鬼? |
[27:16] | Things are tight all over. | 预算欲来越紧了 |
[27:18] | Is it possible you’re so addled you constructed some nonsense problem… | 你的大脑有混乱到 编出这些蠢问题 |
[27:21] | …so you’d have an excuse to see me? | 好找借口来见我? |
[27:27] | I mean, is it possible? I suppose… | 我是说,有没有可能?我想 |
[27:31] | …you could say… – I don’t believe you. | -你可以说 -真不敢相信 |
[27:34] | – Hey, you threw a water balloon at me. – And? | -是你先丢我水球的 -然后呢? |
[27:37] | – I was throwing that out there. – Look… | -我只是丢回去 -听着 |
[27:39] | – Like there’s no reason you’re here? – I thought there was a problem. | -你来这里难道没有原因? -我以为有问题发生 |
[27:42] | All I know is you and I are here. Nijinsky’s home watching Leno. | 我只知道我们都在这儿 男芭蕾舞者正在家看电视 |
[27:46] | Make fun of my boyfriend, seeing as how you’ve never met him. | 随便你取笑我男友 况且你从未见过他 |
[27:49] | – Your boyfriend? – Why can’t you say: | 你男友? |
[27:51] | “Would you like to go out sometime?” Why? | 为什么你就不能说 “要不要一起出去?”为什么? |
[27:53] | – I’ll tell you why. – Do you need me in this conversation… | -我告诉你为什么 -你还需要我说 |
[27:57] | Because this is what you like. This. | 因为你就喜欢这套 |
[27:59] | – Not anything else. It’s the fun part. – That’s not true. | -对你来说这才是好玩的部分 -才不是 |
[28:02] | It is. We’re not in the dorm anymore. I’m paid a lot of money… | 就是,我们现在不在宿舍了 我领高额的薪水 |
[28:05] | …and I’m not into getting diddled around by guys like you. | 我才不会被你们这种男人 任意摆布 |
[28:08] | That’s the fifth time you said”guys like you.” | 这是你第五次说 “你们这种男人” |
[28:11] | – It is not. – It’s the second time. | -并不是 -第二次 |
[28:13] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[28:15] | What’s with guys like me? | 我们这种男人怎样? |
[28:18] | If this thing went five minutes longer than you wanted it to go… | 如果事情拖超过五分钟 你就失去耐性 你打了就跑,乔西 |
[28:21] | …you’d run for the hills. You hit and run, Josh. | |
[28:27] | That’s not true. | 并不是 |
[28:35] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[28:38] | Hello. | 哈�� |
[28:40] | Donna, I’m kind of in the middle of something. | 唐娜,我事情进行到一半 |
[28:45] | What were you doing talking to…? | 你为什么跑去跟? |
[28:50] | Okay, tell him yeah. | 好吧,跟他说好 |
[28:58] | – I have to go. – Yes, indeed. | -我得走了 -是啊,当然 |
[29:02] | I’m sorry, I can’t explain. | 抱歉,我不能解释 |
[29:08] | I have to go. | 我得走了 |
[29:24] | Mr. President. | 总统先生 |
[29:26] | – Can you see Sam? – Sure. | -你可以见山姆? -当然 |
[29:31] | Good evening, sir. | 晚安, 长官 |
[29:33] | Everybody’s working late. | 大家都在加班 |
[29:34] | – I live here in January. – How’s it going? | -我整个一月都住在这儿 -事情办得如何? |
[29:37] | It’s going well, I think, but, I don’t know, who knows at this point. | 我想还不错,不过我不知道 此时还有谁知道 |
[29:40] | – The early drafts look good. – Thank you. | -最初草稿看来不错 -谢谢 |
[29:43] | But I’m not here for the State of the Union. | 我不是为了国情咨文的事 |
[29:45] | There’s a book coming out in three weeks. | 有本书再过三周就要上架 |
[29:47] | I heard. I’m not gonna talk to you about my underwear. | 我听说了,但我才不要告诉你 我穿的内裤是什么 |
[29:51] | That’s disappointing, Mr. President. | 真叫人失望,总统先生 |
[29:53] | I want to ask. The guy claims, while you don’t poll on matters of foreign policy… | 我有件事要问,这家伙宣称 你在第一次参谋首长 |
[29:59] | …at the first meeting with the Joint Chiefs… | 联合会议上说 不在外交政策上作民调 |
[30:01] | …you upbraided them for bloated Pentagon spending… | 还严厉斥责他们 虚报五角大厦支出 |
[30:04] | …and told them 73 percent of the public was with you on it. | 还说有73%的民众 都站在我们这一边 |
[30:07] | – I don’t remember any such poll. – No, but it doesn’t mean it wasn’t done. | -我不记得有这样的民调 -但这不代表民调不存在 |
[30:11] | Remember saying that at the first meeting? | 你记得曾在首次会议上 说过这样的话吗? |
[30:13] | – I don’t. – Could you have said it? | -我不记得了 -你可能说过吗? |
[30:15] | – I don’t even remember the meeting. – Okay. | -我根本不记得这个会议了 -好吧 |
[30:18] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢,长官 |
[30:20] | Why does it matter? | 这为什么这么重要? |
[30:23] | – Excuse me? – I said, why does it matter? | -什么? -我说,这为什么这么重要? |
[30:26] | Well, because I don’t think it’s such a good idea to be casual about the truth. | 因为我不认为对事实随便 是个好主意 |
[30:31] | Neither do I. | 我同意 |
[30:34] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢,长官 (星期二,半夜12点05分) |
[31:06] | – Leo? – Yeah. | -里奥? -什么事 |
[31:08] | – What are you doing down here? – Change of scenery. | -你在这里做什么? -换场景 |
[31:10] | What are you doing? | 你在做什么? |
[31:13] | Well, I’d like to talk to you about the deal they’re offering. | 我想谈谈 他们提供给你的条件 |
[31:18] | Please, keep your voice down. | 请你小声一点 |
[31:20] | There’s nobody here, and my voice is down. | 这里又没有人 而且我很小声了 |
[31:23] | – Who have you been talking to? – Cliff Calley. | -你跟谁谈过? -克利夫凯利 |
[31:26] | – How did you get hooked up with him? – Doesn’t matter. | -你怎么会勾搭上他? -那不重要 |
[31:28] | – It does matter. – I’m not pushing you, okay? | -那很重要 -我不要逼你,好吗? |
[31:33] | – I just want to hear your reasons. – What are your reasons? | -我只是想知道你的理由 -你的理由呢? |
[31:36] | Gets it over, instead of dragging it through primary season. | 赶快把事情结束 不要拖到初选季节 |
[31:39] | Moreover, you don’t take the stand on Monday. | 还有,周一不用让你上证人席 |
[31:42] | It’s ridiculous to think that this would end it. | 如果你以为一切就可结束 那真是太荒谬了 |
[31:45] | All it means is it would go down in history. | 这一切都会被纪录在历史上 |
[31:48] | It’s a press release. | |
[31:49] | When the British ambassador told the German foreign minister… | 这只是新闻稿 当英国大使告诉德国外交部长 |
[31:53] | …they were going to war over Belgium’s violation of the neutrality treaty… | 因为比利时违反中立条约 他们打算发动战争 |
[31:58] | …the foreign minister said,”You’re going to war over a piece of paper?” | 外交部长说 “你们要凭一张合约发动战争?” |
[32:02] | – Leo. – It is an historical judgment. | -里奥 -历史自会判断 |
[32:06] | Andrew Jackson knew that. | 安德鲁杰克逊知道 |
[32:08] | Jackson was censured? | 杰克逊被谴责过? |
[32:11] | Over the Bank of the U.S. | 美国银行的事 |
[32:13] | Guess what? | 美国银行的事 你知道吗? |
[32:15] | I didn’t know that. | 我根本不知道那回事 |
[32:17] | – What’s your point? – History forgets these things. | -你的重点是? -历史会遗忘事情 |
[32:20] | Presidents don’t. | 总统不会 |
[32:22] | They never get over it. This one won’t. | 总统不会 他们永远无法忘怀 这一位也是 |
[32:27] | He’d act like it’s fine… | 他会好像不在乎 |
[32:30] | …but he’d never get over it. | 但他绝对无法忘怀 |
[32:33] | So that’s my reason. | 这就是我的理由 |
[32:38] | All right. | 好吧 |
[32:39] | – You going home? – Yeah. Sure. | 好吧 -你要回家了? -是啊 |
[32:43] | – Have a good night. – You too. | -晚安 -你也是 |
[32:53] | McDeere shot one for 23 from the field last night. | 麦迪尔昨晚在球场只射中一球 |
[32:58] | He missed his first 18 attempts. | 他错失了前18球 |
[33:01] | Wouldn’t you think after the first 17 misses… | 你不觉得 错失前17球时 |
[33:03] | …the coach would say, “This isn’t your night”? | 教练应该会跟他说 “今晚手气不好”? |
[33:05] | You don’t have work to do? | 你没工作要做吗? |
[33:07] | – I have a lot of work to do. – And? | 你没工作要做吗? -我有很多事要做 -然后呢? |
[33:09] | – Can’t rush these things. – No. | -是急不得的 -没错 |
[33:14] | One for 23. That’s exactly one better than my mother would’ve done. | 23球只射中一球 连我妈都射得中 |
[33:18] | She’s been dead 12 years. | 她已经死了12年了 |
[33:20] | – Excuse me. – Hi. | -抱歉 -嗨 |
[33:22] | I asked the president about that first meeting. | 我问总统第一次会议的事了 |
[33:24] | – Which meeting? – The Joint Chiefs. | -什么会议? -参谋长联合会议 |
[33:26] | – What did he say? – He didn’t remember if we did a poll. | -什么会议? -参谋长联合会议 -他怎么说? -他不记得我们做过民调 |
[33:30] | Yeah, I don’t either. | 我也不记得了 |
[33:32] | – Toby… – How long ago was it? | 我也不记得了 -托比 -多久以前的事? |
[33:33] | – I don’t know, like, two years ago. – How many polls ago? | -托比 -多久以前的事? -我不知道,两年前吧 -我们做了多少民调? |
[33:37] | I’m sorry, we can’t sit on the sidelines and ignore this crap. I’m not going to. | 我很抱歉,但我们不能坐视不管 对这些八卦视而不见,我办不到 |
[33:42] | – Why am I the only one taking it seriously? – Reasonable question. | -为什么只有我这么在乎? -很理性的问题 |
[33:45] | – Let’s explore that. – It’s not what you think. | -让我们来想想 -事情不是你想的那样 |
[33:47] | – You hired the guy. – Yes, I hired the guy, but that’s not… | -你雇了那家伙 -是的,我雇了他,但那不 |
[33:50] | Legitimate news organizations will cover this. | 新闻媒体都会报导这件事 |
[33:53] | To say nothing of people who hate us… | 更别提恨我们的人 |
[33:55] | …who are gonna run it over, over, over, over, over… | 他们会利用这本书打击我们 一次又一次 |
[33:58] | The guy was here three minutes and he was fired. He’s not credible. | 这家伙只在这待了三分钟就走 他的话不可靠 |
[34:01] | I’m a lawyer, I’m telling you. That has to be made clear. | 我是个律师,听我说 这件事一定要说清楚 |
[34:05] | Every time he makes a factual mistake, we gotta have a press release. | 每次他说一个错误的事实 我们就得发布新闻 |
[34:08] | Every time he misquotes or misidentifies anyone… | 每次他引用错误 或认错人 |
[34:11] | …we need to have an affidavit swearing to the truth. | 我们就写宣誓书 对事实发誓 |
[34:14] | He needs to be killed until he is dead, and then killed again. | 他必须被杀好几次才死 然后再死一次 |
[34:17] | Or he’s gonna keep biting at our ankles all through the campaign. | 不然整个选战里 他就会一直拖住我们后脚跟 |
[34:21] | He needs to be a joke, or we’re gonna be. | 他必须是个笑话 不然我们就会是了 |
[34:32] | I’m not screwing around. | 我可不是在乱搞 |
[34:33] | Me neither. Sit down. | 我可不是在乱搞 我也不是,坐下 |
[34:39] | I’m not gonna be a victim of this. | 我不要当这件事的受害者 |
[34:41] | Let me tell you something I’ve learned in my years. | 让我告诉你 我在人生中学到的事 |
[34:44] | There are victims of fires. There are victims of car accidents. | 火灾有受害者 车祸也有受害者 |
[34:48] | This kind of thing? There are no victims. | 这种事?并没有受害者 |
[34:50] | Just volunteers. Of course we’ll get in the game. | 只有志愿者 我们当然会跟他们玩下去 |
[34:53] | I’ll talk to the major papers, but we’re not gonna refute every bogus charge. | 我会跟主要报社谈 但我们才不要驳斥每一个假控诉 |
[34:58] | First of all, there are too many of them. | 首先 捏造的事太多了 |
[35:00] | I’m not gonna give this guy the weight of the White House. | 我才不要让这家伙 得到白宫的认同 |
[35:03] | I read the book because I had to. You have a vague recollection of him. | 我读这本书因为我必须读 连你都不太记得他是谁 |
[35:08] | He wasn’t here long enough to make an impression. Have you read it? No. | 他在这待的时间还不够长到 有人会记得他,你读过吗?没 |
[35:12] | You’re too busy doing a job. | 你还有正事要忙 |
[35:13] | While you convince the papers it’s ridiculous… | 你还有正事要忙 当你试着说服报社 这本书太荒谬了 |
[35:16] | Again, we don’t know what’s going on in the Oval Office. | 我们还是不知道 椭圆办公室里发生什么事 |
[35:19] | There’s a problem. When it’s our turn to worry… | 那是问题所在 当我们需要担心时 |
[35:22] | …they won’t be shy about telling us. | 他们一定会大言不惭地告诉我们 |
[35:24] | Let’s not fixate on the knuckleheaded stuff in the meantime. | 同时 我们先别忙着处理这种蠢事 |
[35:27] | And it feels a lot like that’s what you’re doing. | 也就是你现在做的事 |
[35:36] | Are you inside? | 你知道内情吗? |
[35:39] | Josh is. | 乔西知道 |
[35:42] | But let me ask you this: A guy shoots one for 23 from the field. | 让我问你一件事 有个家伙23球只射中一球 |
[35:46] | McDeere. | 麦迪尔 |
[35:47] | But he goes eight for eight from the foul line. | 麦迪尔 但是他在犯规线时 百发百中 |
[35:49] | Why are you fouling this guy at all? I’d get out of the way… | 为什么要判这家伙犯规? 我宁愿直接 |
[35:53] | …and point him toward the basket. | 把他引到篮架下 |
[35:54] | – Yeah. – So we’re done talking about this now. | 把他引到篮架下 -对啊 -那我们结束讨论了 |
[35:57] | – Is there any beer? – You have offices. | -还有啤酒吗? -你们自己有办公室 |
[35:59] | It’s out in the refrigerator. | 在冰箱里 |
[36:02] | – Hey. – What? | -嘿 -什么事? |
[36:04] | It started snowing. | 已经开始下雪了 |
[36:19] | You owe me half a million dollars and a drink. | 你欠我50万跟一杯酒 |
[36:24] | – I paid for the drinks. – All right, 500 grand. | -我付酒钱啦 -好吧,50万拿来 |
[36:28] | What are you doing here? | 你在这做什么? |
[36:29] | Just hanging out. | 你在这做什么? 只是发发呆 |
[36:31] | Why, do you live here? | 只是发发呆 你住在这儿吗? |
[36:33] | I do. | 你住在这儿吗? 没错 |
[36:35] | I’m sorry I had to leave quickly before. I still can’t tell you why. | 我很抱歉,刚刚一下子就跑掉 我还是不能告诉你原因 |
[36:41] | – Is it a matter of national security? – No. | -事关国家安全吗? -不是 |
[36:45] | – Would you tell me if it was? – No. | -如果是你会告诉我吗? -不会 |
[36:47] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[36:52] | You didn’t talk to me much at school. | 你在学校时没跟我说过话 |
[36:54] | You were having quite a bit of sex with Chris. | 你跟克理斯在床上打的正火热 |
[36:57] | There were times I wasn’t. | 有时候没有啊 |
[36:59] | I studied a lot in school. | 我在学校很用功 |
[37:01] | I studied hard in high school and at Harvard and in law school. | 我在高中很用功 在哈佛跟法学院都很用功 |
[37:06] | My IQ doesn’t break the bank, and I wanted to do this… | 我的智商也不高得吓人 而且我本来就爱念书 |
[37:09] | …so I studied all the time. | 所以我一直在念书 |
[37:11] | And I missed something, or it’s like I skipped a year… | 所以我一直在念书 错过了一些事情 仿佛我漏了一整年 |
[37:14] | …because I never learned what you do after you think you like somebody. | 因为我没学过当你喜欢上某人时 该怎么做 |
[37:19] | What you do next. And everybody did learn. | 之后该怎么做 有的人学得不错 |
[37:22] | A lot of other people anyway. | 大部分的人都学到了 |
[37:26] | I didn’t walk out tonight. | 我今晚不是故意走开的 |
[37:29] | When my phone rings at 11:00, it’s important. Not important to me. | 当我的电话在11点响起 一定是重要的事,虽然我不觉得 |
[37:33] | Important. And I’m not puffing myself so… | 我这么说不是要夸大自己 |
[37:35] | You know what? | 你知道吗? |
[37:37] | Maybe not so much for you with the talking. | 也许跟你说的话没有关系 |
[37:53] | Thanks for the drink. | 谢谢你请我喝一杯 |
[38:25] | – Excuse me. – Good evening, Mr. President. | -打扰了 -晚安,总统先生 |
[38:28] | You want to step in for a second? | 麻烦你进来一下好吗? |
[38:42] | Are you up reading? | 你还在读吗? |
[38:44] | Yeah. No. A little bit. | 你还在读吗? 对,不,随便看看 |
[38:47] | Mostly I’ve been talking with Babish and some of the deputies. | 我已经跟巴比许谈过 还有一些部长 |
[38:50] | The chairman, Trent. | 主席、川特 |
[38:52] | The speaker, the minority leader. | 发言人、少数党领袖 |
[38:55] | No. | 不 |
[38:57] | – Yeah. I’m gonna do it. – Sir. | -我要这么做 -长官 |
[39:00] | – Yeah. – It doesn’t get Abbey off the hook. | -怎样 -艾碧还是要作证 |
[39:02] | She’s still gonna have to deal with the AMA. | 她还是要面对美国医药协会 |
[39:04] | – Yeah. – It doesn’t clear us up for the campaign. | -是啊 -选战开始我们还是洗不清 |
[39:07] | It’s a different-looking stage weight around our ankle. | 这会绊住我们的后脚跟 |
[39:10] | Now it comes with a Congressional Seal. It doesn’t give room to argue the point. | 要是还有国会官章盖在上面 我们就连抗议的空间都没有 |
[39:14] | We’ve got two, maybe as many as three dozen House Democrats in tight races… | 我们还有一堆民主党众议员 紧追在后 |
[39:18] | …and you’ve still got MS. | 而且你还是有硬化症 |
[39:35] | Doing this to save me the embarrassment I’ve got coming to me… | 做这种事来拯救我的名声 |
[39:39] | …is about the dumbest reason I can think… | 大概是我想过最蠢的事了 |
[39:41] | There’s another reason. | 还有别的理由 |
[39:43] | What? | 还有别的理由 什么? |
[39:46] | I was wrong. | 我错了 |
[39:48] | I was. I was just… I was wrong. | 我只是我错了 |
[39:52] | Come on, we know that. | 我们都知道 |
[39:54] | Lots of times we don’t know what right or wrong is. | 很多时候我们都不知道对错 |
[39:57] | But lots of times we do, and come on, this is one. | 但很多时候我们知道 这一个我们都知道 |
[40:03] | I may not have had sinister intent at the outset. | 也许我一开始 并没有抱着恶意隐瞒事实 |
[40:08] | But there were plenty of opportunities for me to make it right. | 但我有很多机会说实话 把事情修正过来 |
[40:13] | No one in government takes responsibility for anything anymore. | 现在的政府官员 都不为任何事负责了 |
[40:17] | We foster, we obfuscate, we rationalize. | 我们想办法、模糊其词 把事情合理化 |
[40:21] | “Everybody does it,” that’s what we say. | “大家都这么做” 我们都这么说 |
[40:24] | So we come to occupy a moral safe house… | 那我们就是道德最高的人了 |
[40:27] | …where everyone’s to blame so no one’s guilty. | 没有人应该被责怪 所以没有人有罪 |
[40:33] | I’m to blame. | 我应该被责怪 |
[40:36] | I was wrong. | 我错了 |
[40:51] | You’re ready for a joint resolution. | 你准备好接受联合协议 |
[40:53] | As a matter of fact, it’s not a joint resolution. | 实际上,这不是联合协议 |
[40:56] | The president has to sign a joint resolution. | 总统必须在联合协议上签字 |
[40:58] | So technically it’s a concurrent resolution. | 所以技术上来说 这是共同协议 |
[41:02] | House Concurrent Resolution 172. | 众议院共同协议172号 |
[41:07] | The lawyers’ll haggle over the wording in the next few days. | 律师会花几天的时间 酌斟用字 |
[41:15] | So at least I’ll make history, huh? | 至少我会在历史上留名吧? |
[41:19] | No. I thought so too, until I was talking to Josh. | 不会,我本来也以为 直到我跟乔西谈过 |
[41:24] | Andrew Jackson, 1834. | 安德鲁杰克逊,1834年 |
[41:28] | He was censured in ’34, he got it expunged in ’36. | 他在34年受到谴责 但是谴责在36年撤销 |
[41:33] | Good point. | 说得好 |
[41:37] | It’s not that cold out. | 外面并没有这么冷 |
[41:43] | Let me ask you something. You may be the last sane voice around here. | 让我问你一件事 你可能是最后一个理智的声音 |
[41:46] | Before I forget. The map that Charlie gave you. | 等等,先让我说一件事 查理给你的那张地图 |
[41:49] | – Don’t put it where people can see it. – I don’t believe it. | -别放在人们看得到的地方 -我真不敢相信 |
[41:52] | Recognizing Israel’s a hot button, wouldn’t you say? | 承认以色列会起广大争议 你不认为吗? |
[41:55] | In Lebanon. Not here. | 在黎巴嫩也许,但不是这儿 |
[41:58] | It’s not like I’m thinking,”God, I was gonna recognize Israel… | 又不是像我说 “主啊,我本来要承认以色列 |
[42:02] | …but now that I’ve seen this map…” Know what? | 但现在我看过这张地图” |
[42:05] | Let’s sit here quietly. | 先让我们安静地坐在这儿 |
[42:07] | Yes, sir. | 是的,长官 |
[42:17] | Would the Secretary read House Concurrent Resolution 172? | 秘书长会过目 众议院共同协议172号? |
[42:21] | “Whereas, in his conduct of the office of the president of the United States… | “在他担任美国总统 领导白宫期间 |
[42:25] | … Josiah Bartlet has engaged in a course of deceitful and dishonest conduct… | 约书亚巴特勒采取了一连串 欺骗与不诚实的行为 |
[42:30] | … designed to impede and deny the disclosure of vital matters… | 设计隐瞒并拒绝公布 这件事关公共担忧 |
[42:33] | … of public concern. | 的重大事件 |
[42:35] | The United States Congress hereby condemns him… | 美国国会在此谴责他 |
[42:37] | … for acting in a manner contrary to his trust as president… | 理由为辜负人们对总统的信任 |
[42:41] | … to the prejudice of the cause of justice… | 对正义造成了莫大的损害 |
[42:43] | … and to the manifest injury of the American people.” | 还有对美国人民造成了 无可估计的伤害” |