时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | – What did they offer? Censure? – Yeah. | -他们提什么条件?谴责? -对 |
[00:10] | – History forgets these things. – Presidents don’t. | -历史会遗忘这些事 -总统可不会 |
[00:14] | They never get over it. This one won’t. | 他们永远不会忘怀 这一个也不会 |
[00:16] | I don’t think it’s good to be casual about the truth. | 我不认为对事实随便 是个好主意 |
[00:19] | Neither do I. | 我也不认为 |
[00:20] | Why can’t you say, “Would you like to go out?” | 你为什么不能直接说 “我能不能约你出去?” |
[00:23] | No one in government takes responsibility for anything anymore. | 最近的政府官员 都不再为任何事负责了 |
[00:27] | I’m to blame. I was wrong. | 我该被责备,我错了 |
[00:36] | We stand at a critical point, a time of choosing. | 我们站在一个的关键时刻 一个该做选择的时候 剧名:十万架飞机 |
[00:42] | If we take the hard course, the right course… | 如果我们选择艰难的道路 正确的道路 |
[00:44] | … there is no limit to what we can achieve. | 没有什么事 是我们办不到的 |
[00:47] | There is no limit to what we will achieve. | 没有什么事 是我们达不到的 |
[00:57] | The dials go from zero to a hundred. | 电话拨打次数从零到一百 |
[01:00] | They dial up if they like what he’s saying. They dial down if they don’t. | 如果人们喜欢你说的话 次数就会升高,反之则降低 |
[01:04] | – The numbers lead to a central computer. – Like the Nielsens. | -这些数字连接到中央电脑 -跟尼尔森报告一样 |
[01:08] | – Yeah. – They’re behind a screen somewhere. | -对 -他们躲在荧幕后面吧 |
[01:11] | The people with the dials, they’re behind a screen somewhere? | 接电话的人 他们在荧幕后面某处吧? |
[01:14] | They’re in Macon County, they’re in Portland… | 有的在梅肯郡 有的在波特兰 |
[01:16] | …in Los Feliz, California. Norman, Oklahoma. | 加州的洛兹菲利兹 奥克拉荷马的诺曼 |
[01:20] | – Joey puts together a decent snapshot. – Which one’s Joey? | -乔伊会做一份总评估表 -哪一位是乔伊? |
[01:23] | Kenny, can we get Joey a second? | 肯尼,可以借一下乔伊吗? |
[01:26] | And we will leave a safer, cleaner planet for future generations. | 我们才能留给后代子孙一个 更安全、更干净的地球 |
[01:30] | – When did you pick that up? – I just said”thanks.” | -你何时学会手语的? -我刚刚只说了“谢谢” |
[01:33] | – Could he go easy with the pictures? – You said it’d be okay. | -麻烦你别拍这么多照好吗? -你说没关系的 |
[01:36] | – When did I say that? – C.J. Cregg said it wouldn’t be a problem. | -我何时这么说了? -茜洁葛瑞说没有关系的 |
[01:40] | But I have the utmost confidence… | 但我有绝对的自信 |
[01:42] | Joey, this is Lisa Sherborne. She’s doing a piece for Vanity Fair. | 乔伊,这位是丽莎谢波恩 她正在帮《浮华世界》写报导 |
[01:47] | – I don’t have a lot of time right now. – What do the different lines mean? | -我现在没有很多时间 -这些不同的线代表什么? |
[01:52] | Reds for Republicans, blues for Democrats, and greens for Independents. | 红色是共和党,蓝色是民主党 绿色是独立党 |
[01:56] | – When we say something liberal, like… -“Death is bad.” | -当我们说一些较开放的事 -“死刑不好” |
[02:00] | Right. | 对 |
[02:02] | Blues go up and reds go down. | 蓝色上升,红色下降 |
[02:04] | When we talk about values, reds and greens go up. | 当我们说到价值时 红色跟绿色上升 |
[02:08] | You’re usually lucky to break 65. I gotta get back now. | 幸运的话我们可以突破65 我得回去了 |
[02:14] | I have abiding respect for the speaker of the house and the majority leader. | 我对国会发言人与多数党主席 抱着绝对的尊敬 |
[02:19] | They are men of fundamental decency and public servants of purpose. | 他们拥有不可动摇的正直 还有身为公仆的目标 |
[02:24] | – How much of this did you write? – We don’t talk about that. | -这里面有多少是你写的? -我们不谈这种事 |
[02:27] | Is there anything you’re gonna talk about, or is this gonna be an extraction? | 因为你可能会涉及的内容 或者你要我求你? |
[02:31] | … men and women of both chambers who have labored to shed the weight… | 所有共同承担两党政治责任 |
[02:34] | … of partisanship and don the cloak of progress. | 对民主贡献一己之力的所有人 |
[02:39] | – The lines don’t seem to be doing much. – Hang on. | -线似乎没有变化 -等等 |
[02:42] | It may be said that in the last half-century America won the Cold War… | 可以说在过去半个世纪以来 美国打赢了冷战 |
[02:46] | … and modeled freedom for a waiting world. | 并设下自由的典范 让全世界学习 |
[02:50] | Breaking out the greatest hits, huh? | 又突破新高点了对吧? |
[02:52] | Now, in a new century when we meet and master… | 现在,在新的世纪里 当我们迎接并处理 |
[02:56] | … new forms of aggression and hatred, ignorance and evil… | 侵略与仇恨 无知与邪恶的新面貌 |
[03:00] | … our vigilance in the face of oppression and global terror… | 我们在面对全球恐怖主义 必须提高前所未有的警觉 |
[03:04] | … will be unequaled by any moment in human history. | 警觉程度高过 人类历史上的任何时刻 |
[03:13] | – Now you’re cooking. – And to the enemies of freedom… | -现在你把气氛炒热了 -对自由的敌人 |
[03:16] | … the enemies of democracy, the enemies of America… | 民主的敌人 美国的敌人 |
[03:20] | … the enemies of humanity itself, we say here tonight with one voice… | 人性本身的敌人 我们今天在此向他们宣布 |
[03:26] | … there is no corner of this Earth so remote, no cave so dark… | 不论你们躲在世上哪个角落 哪个黑暗的洞穴 |
[03:31] | … that you will not be found and brought to light and ended. | 我们都会找到你们 向大众揭露并结束一切 |
[03:37] | – That’s a number spike. – Hey, crank that up. | -刻度简直像爆炸一样上升 -准备好 |
[03:40] | He broke 65 on all the lines. | 他在所有线上都超过65 |
[03:50] | We nearly had one almost as big. | 我们有过一次几乎像这次一样高 |
[03:52] | – What? – I said, we nearly had one almost as big. | -什么? -我说,我们之前几乎有过一次 |
[03:55] | – What was it? – We almost cured cancer. | -内容是什么? -我们几乎治好了癌症 |
[03:58] | Really? | 真的? |
[04:00] | – This close. – What happened? | -差一点 -发生什么事? |
[04:02] | Just one of those things. | 没什么,就是如此 片名:白宫风云 演出:罗伯洛 演出:杜希尔 演出:艾莉森詹尼 演出:珍妮尔摩隆奈 演出:里察薛福 演出:约翰史宾塞 演出:布雷迪威佛德 演出:马丁辛 |
[05:05] | – Can I help you, ma’am? – A glass of chardonnay, please. | -需要什么吗? -麻烦给我一杯白酒 |
[05:11] | Hey, Amy. | 艾咪 |
[05:13] | – Are you talking to me? – Yes. | -你在跟我说话吗? -对 |
[05:15] | – What did I say? – You said not to talk to you. | -我刚刚说什么? -你说不要跟你说话 |
[05:17] | – Yet you’re doing it anyway. – Yes. | -不过你还是做了 -对 |
[05:19] | – You’re doing it again. Still doing it. – Amy… | -你又说了,还在说 -艾咪 |
[05:22] | – I’m walking away now. – Okay. | -我要走了 -好吧 |
[05:28] | Ice and vodka. | 冰块加伏特加 |
[05:30] | Sam Seaborn! | 山姆希朋! |
[05:34] | Thank you. Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[05:37] | I am at Ha-Ha’s in Cleveland on the 16th, and tip your waitresses. | 我今晚会在克利夫兰演出 别忘了给服务生小费 |
[05:41] | Sam. | 山姆 |
[05:43] | – Congratulations. – Hey, you too. | -恭喜 -你也是 |
[05:45] | – So far so good, huh? – The dials were what we thought. | -目前为止还好吧? -电话拨打次数跟我们想的一样 |
[05:49] | – Lisa. – Josh. | -丽莎 -乔西 |
[05:50] | Still trying to get waived into Generation X? | 还是想混进X世代新人类? |
[05:52] | – Still a pompous jackass? – Oh, you bet. | -仍是个爱夸耀的混蛋吗? -说得没错 |
[05:55] | See you later. | 待会见 |
[05:58] | Congratulations, Sam. | 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 恭喜,山姆 |
[06:00] | – Tell me about the cancer thing. – It got cut. Jack Daniels. | 制片:亚力克葛拉夫斯 -告诉我癌症的事 -被剪掉了 |
[06:04] | You were gonna cure cancer. | 你们本来要治癌症 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 |
[06:06] | We were gonna say we’d cure cancer. Curing it is someone else’s department. | 我们本来要说我们要治癌症 真的去治疗是别部门的事 |
[06:09] | – How does that work? – How does what work? | -那怎么运作? -什么怎么运作? |
[06:12] | – Deciding what you’re gonna say. – You mean writing the State of the Union? | -决定该说什么 -你说写国情咨文? |
[06:15] | Yeah. | 对 |
[06:17] | – It’s a long story. – I’m writing a long story. | -说来话长 -我正在写一段长篇报导 |
[06:21] | Do you ever do any kind of preparation before…? | 你有没有做事前准备的? |
[06:24] | – I prefer to… – Hang out at Moomba? | -我比较喜欢 -待在夜总会准备? 制片:李维林威尔斯 |
[06:30] | The process begins six weeks beforehand with budget meetings. | 编剧:艾伦索金 准备过程大约在 预算会议6周前开始 |
[06:33] | – Why budget meetings? – If we introduce an idea… | -为什么是预算会议? -如果我们引进这种想法 |
[06:36] | …people wanna know how we pay for it. Memos come from everywhere. | 导演:大卫诺特 大家就想知道我们怎么付钱 备忘录会像雪片般飞来 |
[06:39] | Every agency, department, senior advisor, outside notable. | 每个政府部门、资深顾问 外界权威人士 |
[06:43] | -What’s an outside notable? -Former presidents, Kissinger… | 什么是外界权威人士? -像前总统、季辛吉 |
[06:46] | … Bill Gates, Jesse Jackson. Mr. Rogers wants to write us a memo, we’ll read it. | 比尔盖兹、杰西杰克森、罗杰先生 想写份备忘录,我们就会过目 |
[06:50] | We’ll pass some to the president, and he’ll start making notes. | 我们会挑一些给总统看 他再写下笔记 |
[06:54] | Then we have the “president’s first thoughts” meeting. | 然后我们就得开 “总统的第一想法”会议 |
[06:57] | -That’s when we all wanna kill ourselves. -Why? | -那是我们想要自杀的时候 -为什么? |
[07:00] | That’s when the president tells us we’re nowhere. | 因为总统一定会说 我们什么也办不到 |
[07:02] | -Why? -Because we’re nowhere. | -为什么? -因为我们什么也办不到 |
[07:05] | So we try to figure out what people wanna hear. | 所以我们试着找出 人们想要听什么 |
[07:07] | That’s when anyone who didn ‘t want to die before has been converted to the cult. | 然后还不想死的人 就会跑去信邪教 |
[07:12] | -Why is it so hard? -It’s a white piece of paper. | -为什么这么难搞? -那是一张白纸 |
[07:14] | -How high are the stakes? -How high can you count? | -机会有多高? -你能算多高? |
[07:17] | -So, what do you do? -Whatever it takes to get started. | -那你怎么办? -不论如何都要先开始 |
[07:21] | And we read new memos, and we try new themes… | 然后我们再读新备忘录 试试新的主题 |
[07:24] | … and we hear new slogans and test new lines. | 想想新的口号 测试新的政见 |
[07:26] | After a few weeks of that… | 过几个礼拜实验后 我们什么也办不到! |
[07:30] | … you still got a white paper. | 你还是有白纸要处理 |
[07:32] | So it’s hard. | 所以很难 |
[07:34] | – It’s hard. – It’s hard under the best circumstances. | -是很难 -已经是最好的情况了 |
[07:38] | – It got a little harder two weeks ago. – What happened two weeks ago? | -两个礼拜前更难 -发生什么事? |
[07:45] | – Congress censured the president. – Yes. | -国会谴责总统 -对 |
[07:49] | – Good morning. | – Good morning. -早安 -早安 |
[07:55] | – What’s going on? – Late last night, early this morning… | -怎么了? -昨晚深夜,今晨稍早 |
[07:58] | …the president reached an agreement to accept a congressional censure. | 总统已经达成协议 接受国会的谴责 |
[08:15] | How’s he feeling? | How’s he feeling? 他觉得怎样? 他觉得怎样? |
[08:19] | Fine. It’s over. | 很好,已经结束了 |
[08:21] | – A joint resolution? – Yeah. A concurrent resolution, actually. | -联合协议? -对,实际上是共同协议 |
[08:28] | It’ll take a couple of days for the lawyers to get together on the language. | 白宫律师会花几天的时间 斟酌用字遣词 |
[08:32] | – We should leak it, soften up the ground. – Yeah. | -我们应该放风声出去,先暖暖身 -对 |
[08:35] | He’s all right? | 他还好吧? |
[08:37] | He’s about to be censured, deliver the State of the Union… | 他就要接受谴责 发表国情咨文 |
[08:40] | …and then he’s gonna run for reelection. | 然后他就要竞选连任 |
[08:43] | My guess is that there are some things on his mind. | 我的猜测是 他还有事没说出来 |
[08:51] | It’s over. | 事情结束了 |
[08:53] | That’s all. | 就这样 |
[08:57] | – Thank you. | – Thank you. -谢谢 -谢谢 |
[09:19] | This is like the Civil War. | 简直像南北内战 |
[09:22] | When’s the last time Congress rebuked a president? | 上一次国会弹劾总统是何时? |
[09:25] | – The Civil War. – And now, how do you…? | -南北内战 -然后是现在? |
[09:27] | Yeah. | 对 |
[09:29] | Should we postpone the State of the Union? What are the rules on that? | 我们应该延后国情咨文吗? 延后规定是什么? |
[09:34] | He’s required to give Congress information on the Union. | 国会要求他提供国情咨文的资讯 |
[09:37] | If he buys Congress a Wall Street Journal, he’s fulfilled his constitutional… | 如果他买一份《华尔街日报》给国会 就算完成他的宪法义务 |
[09:41] | – Postponing’s an admission of defeat. – He’s accepting a censure. That’s defeat. | -延后就是承认受到打击 -他如果接受谴责,就是打击 |
[09:46] | You don’t ask the bully to lunch the day after he stole your lunch money. | 你不会在小混混偷了你的钱后 第二天还跟他一起吃午餐 |
[09:49] | You don’t go on a starvation diet either. We can spin the censure as a bipartisan… | 但是你也不会饿肚子 我们可以把谴责扯上两党政 |
[09:54] | You can’t spin a formal denunciation from the legislative branch. | 你不能从立法部门 处理这种正式公开谴责 |
[09:58] | – I don’t… – It’s our biggest press hit of the year. | -我不 -这是我们今年最大的新闻 |
[10:01] | How do you make a report to Congress when Congress just called you a liar? | 当国会称呼你为骗子时 你怎么跟国会做报告? |
[10:05] | I say we strap a polygraph onto the TelePrompTer. | 我说我们在讲词提示器上 装一台测谎器 |
[10:12] | Humor to lighten the load. | 只是想说点笑话提振士气 |
[10:17] | I recommended he take the censure. | 我建议他接受谴责 |
[10:19] | If any of you had been on the inside, you’d have recommended it too. | 如果你们曾经待在里面 你们也会被如此建议 |
[10:23] | How does he deliver the State of the Union? | 他怎么报告国情咨文? |
[10:25] | He’s the president of the United States. When he walks in, they’re gonna stand. | 他是美国总统 当他走进来时,所有人都要起立 |
[10:30] | Anyone here not believe this president can take it from there? | 在这里有人不相信 总统可以处理这一切吗? |
[10:35] | I still got my lunch money. | 我还有我的午餐钱 |
[10:39] | Toby, Sam, you gotta dig in. | 托比、山姆,你们得接受 |
[10:48] | Anything else? | 还有别的事吗? |
[10:58] | All right. | 好吧 |
[11:00] | – Hey, Sam? – Yes? | -山姆? -怎样? |
[11:03] | – Well-argued. – Yeah. | -说得好 -是啊 |
[11:08] | – What do you want? – What kind of attitude is that? | -你到底想要什么? -那什么态度? |
[11:10] | Vanity Fair‘s pitching a story on you. | 《浮华世界》正在写你的故事 |
[11:12] | – What’s the angle? – They wanna do a profile… | -什么角度? -他们想做个人档案 |
[11:14] | …starting the night of the State of the Union. | 从国情咨文当晚开始 |
[11:17] | Why don’t they just cover the speech? | 他们为什么不报导演讲就好? |
[11:19] | This is their way of doing that. The thing is, you know the writer. | 《浮华世界》的风格就是那样 问题是,你认识作者 |
[11:24] | – Who? – Lisa Sherborne. | -谁? -丽莎谢波恩 |
[11:26] | Funny, because I used to be engaged to someone named Lisa Sherborne. | 真有趣,因为我曾经跟个叫做 丽莎谢波恩的女人订过婚 |
[11:31] | – Funny? – I’m not doing it. | -有趣? -我才不要接 |
[11:32] | I’d like you to. | 我希望你接 |
[11:35] | What happened to rule number one on staff profiles… | 白宫幕僚档案第一条守则是 |
[11:38] | …being that we don’t do staff profiles. | 我们不做人员档案 |
[11:40] | – When did we have that rule? – We should have it. | -我们何时有那条规定? -我们应该要有 |
[11:43] | People should think the president writes the State of the Union. | 应该要让大家认为 国情咨文是总统自己写的 |
[11:45] | – People know about speechwriters. – Then there’s no more story to tell. | -大家知道有讲稿写者 -那就没必要再说什么了 |
[11:50] | In the past, you tell me, did it help or hurt… | 你以前告诉过我 选战里如果有 |
[11:53] | …that the campaign had an energetic energy? | 很有活力的元气 会对选战有利还是有害? |
[11:55] | – Not sure you can say”energetic energy.” – Did it help or hurt? | -“很有活力的元气”? -有帮助或伤害? |
[11:58] | Do we need help? Do young women read Vanity Fair? | 我们需要帮助吗? 年轻女性会读《浮华世界》? |
[12:01] | – Let them cover the president. – They want you… | -那就让她们报导总统的事 -她们会,她们要你 |
[12:03] | …and I wanna give you to them. | 我就把你送给她们 |
[12:07] | It’s gotta be Lisa Sherborne? | 一定要是丽莎谢波恩写? |
[12:09] | Is the reason you didn’t get married… | 你不想结婚的原因 |
[12:12] | …because her name would have been Lisa Sherborne-Seaborn? | 该不是因为她名字会变成 丽莎谢波恩希朋? |
[12:15] | Yeah, that’s the reason. | 对,那就是原因 |
[12:19] | I could do this for a living. | 我可以靠这谋生了 |
[12:40] | – Do you have anything? – No. | -你有数据了吗? -没 |
[12:42] | – I don’t believe you. – I don’t have anything. | -我不相信你 -我什么也没有 |
[12:44] | If you didn’t have anything you wouldn’t be at the party. | 如果你什么都没有 你就不会出现在派对 |
[12:47] | – I like parties. – What do you have? | -我喜欢派对 -你有什么数据? |
[12:50] | – I have the first 20 minutes. – Okay. | -我有前20分钟的数据 -好吧 |
[12:52] | – You don’t want the first 20 minutes. – Why? | -但是你不会想要前20分钟 -为什么? |
[12:54] | – Sam… Hi. – Hi. | -山姆嗨 -嗨 |
[12:58] | – I just need a minute, okay? – I can wait. | -给我一分钟好吗? -我可以等 |
[13:00] | – I need you to wait over there. – Okay. | -但请你在那里等 -好吧 |
[13:10] | Why don’t I want the first 20 minutes? | 为什么我不会想要前20分钟的数据? |
[13:12] | – It’s what we expected it would be. – Tell me. | -因为我们都知道那是什么 -告诉我 |
[13:15] | – It was the censure. People saw it… – Just tell me. | -关于谴责,大家都看过 -告诉我 |
[13:19] | Democrats, low to mid 50s. | 民主党,低到五十中间 |
[13:22] | – Republicans, high 30s. – Independents? | -共和党,三十多点 -独立党? |
[13:25] | – Low 40s. – You’re kidding me. | -四十多 -你在开玩笑 |
[13:28] | – Sam… – Low 40s? | -山姆 -四十多? |
[13:29] | – We knew the first 20… – You said 10 minutes, and not this bad. | -你知道前20分钟 -你说10分钟,而且没这么糟 |
[13:33] | Wait for the rest of the dials. | 等结果全部出来再说 |
[13:35] | We did Internet commerce in the first 20 minutes. We did child asthma. | 我们在前20分钟播网路广告 还有儿童气喘药 |
[13:39] | He wasn’t the president in the first 20 minutes. | 他在前20分钟里并不是总统 |
[13:43] | Wait for the rest of the dial groups. | 等电话结果全部出来再说 |
[13:46] | Top line, cross tabs, whatever you get, and I got a bad feeling about tonight. | 把现在的结果给我就好 我对今晚有不好的预感 |
[14:00] | – Were those polling numbers? – No. | -这些是民调数字吗? -不是 |
[14:02] | What was that about? | 那是什么? |
[14:04] | It was polling numbers, but it was nothing. | 这是民调数字 但不代表什么 |
[14:09] | – How does it look? – It’s too early to tell. | -看起来怎样? -还太早下断言 |
[14:29] | – Sam, congratulations. – You too. | -山姆,恭喜你 -你也是 |
[14:33] | Ed, Larry, this is Lisa Sherborne from Vanity Fair. | 艾德、赖瑞,这位是 《浮华世界》的丽莎谢波恩 |
[14:37] | – Which one’s Ed, which one’s Larry? – Doesn’t matter. | -哪个是艾德,哪个是赖瑞? -这不重要 |
[14:42] | – Joey went back to the office. – Thank you. | -乔伊回办公室了 -谢谢 |
[14:46] | You don’t have to introduce me as Lisa Sherborne from Vanity Fair. | 你不必介绍我是 《浮华世界》的丽莎谢波恩 |
[14:50] | I like to let them know they’re talking to a reporter. | 因为我希望他们知道 谈话对象是记者 |
[14:53] | You really are uncomfortable with me being here? You’re not just being you? | 跟我在一起真的那么不舒服吗? 还是这是你的本性? |
[14:57] | I don’t know what that means. | 我不懂什么意思 |
[15:00] | How did cancer get cut from the State of the Union? | 治疗癌症怎么会从 国情咨文被剪掉? |
[15:02] | – A lot of things got cut. – Curing cancer? | -很多事情都被剪掉了 -治疗癌症? |
[15:05] | We cut a section about making government manuals easier to read. | 我们剪掉一大段关于 怎么让政府文件更容易读 |
[15:08] | – Curing cancer can take a number. – Why are you pissed at me? | -治疗癌症这件事可以等 -你为什么气我? |
[15:11] | – I’m not pissed at you. I’m working. – You’re done working. | -我没有在气你,这是我的工作 -你工作早就结束了 |
[15:15] | I’m not done. You’re confused because you see… | 还没结束 你会觉得迷惑是因为你看到 |
[15:17] | …Absolut cosmopolitans and famous people. | 一堆大都会的人士跟名流 |
[15:22] | A section on government manuals. | 简化政府文件 |
[15:26] | – Donna? – Yeah? | -唐娜? -怎样? |
[15:27] | Can you get me the most recent memo on the Welfare-to-Work initiatives? | -唐娜? -怎样? 帮我拿一份最近的 工作福利法草案好吗? |
[15:31] | Yeah. | 好 |
[15:35] | – I’m seeing Amy again tonight. – Second date? | -我今晚还要跟艾咪约会 -第二次约会? |
[15:39] | First date, really. Last night was more of a, you know… | 第一次约会,真的 昨晚只是,你知道 |
[15:42] | – Scheme. – Yeah. | -阴谋策划的 -对 |
[15:44] | Good. The second date is usually where the wheels come off the wagon for you. | 很好,第二次约会 通常是你出槌的时候 |
[15:48] | – That is so false. – What are you doing? | -完全不正确 -你打算做什么? |
[15:52] | – A late drink. – Where are you going? | -去酒吧喝一杯 -在哪? |
[15:54] | Wilson’s. | 威尔森 |
[15:56] | – I like that place. – I don’t. | 威尔森 -我喜欢那地方 -我不喜欢 |
[15:58] | – Why? – Well, for one thing… | -为什么? -首先 |
[16:00] | …the piano player only knows one song. | 弹钢琴的只知道一首歌 |
[16:02] | Which song? | 哪首歌? “有毛的小东西最好赶快”什么的 “鸭子、鹅最好跑开”? |
[16:08] | “Surrey With the Fringe on Top.” | “顶端装饰流苏的马车” |
[16:10] | Whatever. It’s like I’m on a hayride. What are you doing? | 总让我觉得好像在马车上狂欢 你在做什么? |
[16:13] | Figuring out if you pay for the ticket to Phoenix. | 搞清楚你是否付清 到凤凰城的机票 |
[16:16] | – It was official. – That doesn’t make a difference. | -那是公事 -那也没差 |
[16:19] | What does the rule say? | 规定怎么说? |
[16:22] | “An employee may not use contract airline passenger service… | “员工不可使用 搭乘飞机之服务 |
[16:25] | …provided under the contract with the General Services Administration. | 除非与总务管理局有合约在先 |
[16:29] | See part 301-15, sub-part B of this chapter.” | 详见本章301-15节B部分” |
[16:32] | – What’s the problem? – Set aside that there’s no sub-part B. | -有什么问题? -先不管没有B部分这件事 |
[16:35] | The rest of it uses a sentence structure I’m not familiar with. | 我看不懂整个规定的句子结构 |
[16:39] | – Just put it on my credit card. – No, that’s what this is designed to do. | -算在我信用卡上吧 -不,这就是他们的目的 |
[16:42] | – It’s designed to break a person’s spirit. – And damn it, that’s my job. | -就是要打击人的士气 -可恶,那可是我的工作 |
[16:46] | – We’re getting beat by the system. – We are the system. | -我们被整个体制剥削 -我们就是这个体制 |
[16:49] | – We suck. – Yes. I need the Welfare-to-Work memo. | -我们很逊 -对,给我工作福利法备忘录 |
[16:54] | How many words in the Gettysburg Address? | 盖兹堡演说有多少字? |
[16:56] | Two hundred sixty-six. | 266个字 |
[16:57] | – The Ten Commandments? – Hundred seventy-three. | -十诫? -173个字 |
[17:00] | So you wouldn’t think you’d need 6000 to discover how to reimburse a ticket. | 所以你不需要6000字 搞懂怎么弄飞机票公费对吧? |
[17:04] | – No. | – No. -对 -对 |
[17:27] | – What’s going on? – Welfare-to-Work. | -怎么了? -工作福利法 |
[17:35] | I was happy when you said this morning that you recommended the censure. | 当你早上说你建议谴责时 我很高兴 |
[17:40] | – Your face didn’t register much. – Thinking about the speech. | -你的脸上可不是这么说 -我在想演说的事 |
[17:43] | – Don’t ask how it’s going. – I wouldn’t. | -别问事情进行得如何 -我不会 |
[17:45] | You can’t rush these things. It’s not like putting a hammer to a nail. | 这种事赶不得 又不是像用槌子敲头 |
[17:50] | I need some pie. | 我需要一些派 |
[17:54] | You should go get some. | 你应该吃一点 |
[18:00] | Come with me. | 跟我来 |
[18:04] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[18:06] | – Don’t ask me about the speech. – I wouldn’t do it. | -别问我演讲的事 -我不会问 |
[18:18] | – How’d it go last night? – With Amy Gardner? | -昨晚过得如何? -跟艾咪嘉纳? |
[18:21] | – Yeah. – Very, very well. | -对 -非常非常好 |
[18:23] | – Here’s the memo. – Thank you. | -备忘录在这 -谢谢 |
[18:28] | – You know Amy’s seeing somebody. – I do know that. | -你知道艾咪有男友 -我知道 |
[18:32] | – You know who? – No, and I don’t wanna know. | -你知道是谁? -不,但我不想知道 |
[18:35] | – Yes, now that you mention it. Who? – John Tandy. | -不过既然你提了,是谁? -约翰谭迪 |
[18:39] | – Really? – Yeah. | -真的? -对 |
[18:42] | – Really? – Yes. | -真的? -对 |
[18:46] | Interesting. | 真有趣 |
[18:48] | – Yeah. – Interesting, and I’ll tell you why. | -对 -很有趣,我告诉你为什么 |
[18:51] | Why? | 为什么? |
[18:53] | Because John Tandy is a… . | 因为约翰谭迪是个 |
[18:57] | – I’ll tell you why, seriously. – Why? | -我会告诉你为什么,真的 -为什么? |
[18:59] | Because they started seeing each other shortly after Nan Lieberman… | 因为他们在南李柏曼 宣布她将抗议联邦法院后 |
[19:03] | …announced she was gonna make a challenge in the 20th District. | 很快就在一起了 |
[19:06] | – Really? – Yeah. | -真的? -对 |
[19:10] | I don’t think he’s courting Amy Gardner, I think he’s courting women. | 我不认为他在向艾咪献殷勤 他向所有女人献殷勤 |
[19:15] | – I don’t think you’re right. – Why? | -我觉得你错了 -为什么? |
[19:17] | – Because that’s ridiculous. – Really? | -因为这太荒谬了 -真的? |
[19:19] | No, it’s not ridiculous. Of course you’re right. | 不,这并不荒谬 你说得对 |
[19:24] | Hey, who’s the president having dinner with tonight? | 今晚总统要跟谁吃晚餐? |
[19:27] | – Friends of Abbey. – Good. | -艾碧的朋友 -很好 |
[19:29] | When you’re in his kind of mood… | -艾碧的朋友 -很好 当你了解当总统的心境 |
[19:30] | …dinner with your wife’s friends is what you hope for. | 跟老婆的朋友吃晚餐 会是你最大的心愿 |
[19:36] | – It’s molecular pathology. – STI. | -这是分子病理学 |
[19:39] | – That’s”signal transduction inhibitor.” – I’m sorry? | -就是“讯息传导抑制剂” -什么? |
[19:43] | STI stands for “signal transduction inhibitor.” | STI代表 “讯息传导抑制剂” |
[19:47] | – Abbey just went to take a phone call. – We’ve tested it on 12 patients. | -艾碧刚刚去接电话 -我们已经试验了12个病人 |
[19:51] | Is it the first drug to target sphingosine kinase? | 这是第一个针对 鞘氨醇激酶的药? |
[19:53] | – It is, yeah. – Where are you with the FDA? | -对 -食品药物管理局方面呢? |
[19:56] | – FDA ruled they can use higher doses. – This they did. | -管理局判定可以用高剂量 -他们的确通过了 |
[19:59] | I’m telling you, we’re 10 years, $25 billion… | 我告诉你 只要再过十年,再花个250亿 |
[20:02] | …and a good-luck charm away from curing cancer. | 再加一点运气 我们就可以治好癌症 |
[20:04] | – More than $25 billion. – Breakthroughs in molecular targeting… | -比250亿还多 -分析分子的新突破 |
[20:08] | Which is what the signal transduction inhibitor is all about. | 那就是 讯息传导抑制剂的主要内容 |
[20:11] | What’d you just say? | 你刚刚说什么? |
[20:14] | Bobby, what’d you just say? | 巴比,你刚刚说什么? |
[20:16] | We’re talking about a new drug which is a signal transduction inhibitor. | 我们正在谈一种新药 跟讯息传导抑制剂有关 |
[20:21] | Sphingosine kinase was identified recently as the enzyme… | 鞘氨醇激酶是最近发现的 新酵素 |
[20:24] | …believed to control all signal pathways to cancer growth. | 医学界认为它能控制所有 癌细胞成长的讯号 |
[20:29] | This new drug can act as a kind of guided missile. | 这种新药的作用 就像导向炸弹 |
[20:33] | – Smart bomb. – That destroys cancerous cells… | -诱导弹 -它能破坏癌细胞 |
[20:35] | …without killing healthy ones. | 同时不会杀死健康细胞 |
[20:37] | The part I understood was Bobby saying we could cure cancer in 10 years. | 他说的话我只了解 可以在10年后治疗癌症那句 |
[20:41] | Not cure it, but make it chronic. | 不是治疗癌症,而是延长生命 |
[20:44] | In other words, make it so that people could live with it? | 也就是说 让人能跟癌症一起活下去? |
[20:47] | – Yeah. – What is standing between us and that? | -对 -是什么阻挡了我们? |
[20:50] | – I don’t know. – Who at this table knows? | -我不知道 -这里有谁知道? |
[20:52] | – Nobody knows. – How much money would it cost? | -没人知道 -成本多少? |
[20:55] | Nobody knows that either. It’s cancer. Nobody knows anything. | 也没人知道 这是癌症,没人知道任何事 |
[20:59] | He just said 10 years. I wanna hear about this from the beginning. | 他刚刚说10年 我想从头开始听 |
[21:02] | Talk to me like I’m not an oncologist. | 用非肿瘤学家的方式告诉我 |
[21:08] | I’m not messing around. This isn’t a barbecue. I’m the commander in chief. | 我不是在开玩笑,现在不是宴会 我是国家领袖 |
[21:12] | Put your asses in the chairs. | 把各位的尊臀移回餐桌 |
[21:50] | I’m out of pie. | 我没派了 |
[21:53] | We’ll get some more. | 我们需要更多派 |
[21:59] | So how’s it going on the…? What are you doing? | 那件事怎么? 你在做什么? |
[22:02] | The economy. I’m getting somewhere. | 经济报告,我快弄好了 |
[22:05] | – I can look at it when you’re ready. – About another two hours. | -你弄好了让我看 -再两小时 |
[22:12] | Lisa’s gonna do a piece? | 丽莎要写一份报导? |
[22:14] | – It wasn’t my idea. – I wouldn’t think so. | -这不是我的主意 -我想也是 |
[22:17] | C.J. asked if the reason we didn’t get married… | 茜洁说我们没结婚的原因 |
[22:20] | …was because her name would be Sherborne-Seaborn. | 是因为她的名字会变成 谢波恩希朋 |
[22:22] | That’s funny. | 真好笑 |
[22:24] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[22:29] | So why didn’t you get married? | 那你为什么没结婚? |
[22:33] | Why didn’t you? | 为什么? |
[22:35] | She didn’t like me very much. | 她没那么喜欢我 |
[22:47] | – Good evening, Mr. President. – Evening. | -晚安,总统先生 -晚安 |
[22:49] | Call everybody in. I just had dinner with Abbey’s friends. They’re all oncologists. | 叫大家进来,我刚跟 艾碧的朋友晚餐,一群肿瘤学家 |
[22:55] | In the State of the Union, I can announce I’m directing our researchers… | 在国情咨文里 我会宣称我将主导科学家们 |
[22:58] | …to have a cure for cancer in 10 years. Call everyone in. | 在10年后研究出癌症疗法 叫大家进来 |
[23:04] | This is about the censure. | 这跟谴责有关 |
[23:27] | – What did you just say? – I said it for your own good. | -你刚刚说什么? -我说为了你好 |
[23:31] | – Did you? – I did. I like you. | -你说了? -我说了,我喜欢你 |
[23:33] | I hate you. | 我恨你 |
[23:35] | – Let’s look at the facts. – Okay. | -我们先来看看事实 -好吧 |
[23:38] | He was polling at 69% among Democrats. And that’s all Tandy’s got in his district. | 他在民主党的民调是69% 那只是谭迪选区的总数 |
[23:43] | Congressman Tandy. | 国会议员谭迪 |
[23:45] | All right. He had a 69% favorability rating with women. | 好吧 他在女性之间的喜好度是69% |
[23:49] | You’d need 93% favorability among men to beat that… | 他在男性之间的喜好度 需要必须达到93%才行 |
[23:53] | …and Gandhi doesn’t get that in Florida. | 就算甘地都达不到那种数字 |
[23:55] | – Somebody’s been studying. – Nan Lieberman announces… | -有人在用功了 -南李柏曼宣布 |
[23:58] | …that she might challenge him. His | 她可能会挑战他 他的喜好度降到52%,为什么? |
[24:02] | – Because you’re an idiot? – Women started going over to Lieberman. | -因为你是个白痴? -女性开始转向李柏曼 |
[24:06] | – Look… – Women’s groups started saying… | -听着 -女性团体开始说 |
[24:08] | …there aren’t enough women in Congress. Tandy needs women. | 国会的女性议员太少 谭迪需要女性 |
[24:11] | – NOW hasn’t endorsed him yet. – It’s January. | -全国女性联盟还没帮他背书 -那是一月的事 |
[24:14] | Yes. Still, when did he start going out with you? | 不过,他何时开始约你出去? |
[24:17] | A week after Lieberman announced. | 就在李柏曼宣布后一周 |
[24:20] | – How do you know that? – I know everything. | -你怎么知道的? -我知道一切 |
[24:23] | And you are the door to women. | 而你是女性的大门 |
[24:25] | WLC put $9 million in the hands of pro-choice candidates. | 女性联盟会拨900万给 赞成��胎合法的候选人 |
[24:28] | You narrowed the gap in the House from 14 to 9 in one election. | 你们能把男女众议员的席次差异 从14缩到9 |
[24:32] | – You bring home the bacon. – John’s worried about losing women? | -你让女性团体满心欢喜 -约翰担心失去女性支持? |
[24:36] | He runs, and Emily’s List practically makes a wire transfer. | 他只要一竞选 女性竞选基金马上汇钱过去 |
[24:39] | He crushed his last opponent in Lauderhill. | 他在劳德郡打败最后一个对手 |
[24:41] | I don’t remember his name. He was a moderate, pro-choice Republican. | 我不记得他的名字 他是温和、赞成��胎的共和党员 |
[24:45] | There was a 29% gender differential. | 选民性别差异还是29% |
[24:47] | You think he’s with me because he’s afraid of Nan Lieberman. | 你以为他跟我在一起 只因为他怕南李柏曼 |
[24:50] | I do. | 没错 |
[24:53] | Well, I’ve never been so flattered. | 这真是我听过最高的恭维了 |
[24:55] | I don’t think I’m getting enough credit for this. | 我想你没谢我 这是为了你好 |
[24:57] | Don’t talk to me. | 别跟我说话 |
[25:01] | – Look… – Don’t talk to me. | -听着 -别跟我说话 |
[25:04] | – We’ll change the sub… – You’re talking to me. | -我会改变话 -你正在跟我说话 |
[25:06] | – Perhaps… – Don’t talk to me. | -也许 -别跟我说话 |
[25:10] | – I should just sit here? – Yes. | -我应该只坐在这? -对 |
[25:13] | – And? – Not talk to me. | -然后呢? -别跟我说话 |
[25:15] | Amy… . | 艾咪 |
[25:16] | I have wit. I have charm. I have brains. | 我聪明、有魅力又有智慧 |
[25:19] | I have legs that go all the way down to the floor, my friend. | 我还有可以随时离开的一双腿 我的朋友 |
[25:23] | – You don’t have to… – Don’t talk to me. | -你不必 -别跟我说话 |
[25:37] | – Hello? – Josh? | -喂? -乔西? |
[25:39] | – Yeah. – You gotta come back. | -对 -你得回来 |
[25:41] | – Why? – The president thinks he can cure cancer. | -为什么? -总统认为他可以治疗癌症 |
[25:45] | – Well, that’s some good news, I guess. – Yeah, I’ll see you in a few minutes. | -我想那应该是好消息 -对,我们待会见 |
[25:52] | Did he find a cure for cancer? Because if he found a cure for cancer… | 他找到治疗癌症的药了? 因为如果他发现治癌症的药 |
[25:56] | …I think that would be interesting. That’s something we should share. | 那一定很有趣 我们应该分享消息 |
[25:59] | – Yeah. – But he didn’t. | -对 -但他没有 |
[26:01] | He wants to find a cure for cancer and say that in the State of the Union. | 他想找出治癌症的方法 并在国情咨文里宣布 |
[26:06] | You know what my response would be? Me too. | 你知道我会怎么回答吗? 我也是 |
[26:08] | – Is this the first time he had that thought? – Sign”union” again. That was cool. | -这是他第一次这么想吗? -再比一次“国情” ,真酷 |
[26:14] | No, it must have been a different word. | 不对,大概是别的字 |
[26:18] | – Is he serious about this? – Not my department. | -他是认真的吗? -我可不知道 |
[26:20] | – I get you to the meeting. – Right. | -我带你去会议室 -好吧 |
[26:24] | – Joey? – Yeah. | -乔伊? -什么 |
[26:26] | How high are the stakes for the speech? | 他的演讲指数多高? |
[26:29] | They’re high, but a magic trick isn’t gonna help. | 很高 但是咒语也帮不了忙 |
[26:32] | – How high? – High. | -多高? -很高 |
[26:34] | – How high? – Well, you don’t win anything in January. | -多高? -你们在一月赢不了 |
[26:39] | You only lose. | 只会输 |
[26:41] | If he doesn’t park the State of the Union, and I mean deep… | 如果他的国情咨文不能打动人心 我是指真的打动人 |
[26:46] | …it’ll be his last one. | 这可能是他最后一次报告了 |
[26:49] | All right, you’re in the Oval Office. | 好吧,你可以进椭圆办公室了 |
[26:56] | – Hey, did I hear Toby right on the phone? – It could be worse, you know. | -托比刚刚在电话上? -情形可能更糟 |
[27:00] | – How? – He could have cancer. | -怎么说? -他可能有癌症 |
[27:04] | – Do you two go anywhere separately? – It’s weird, isn’t it? | -你们曾经分开过吗? -那会很奇怪,对吧? |
[27:08] | It’s a little weird, yeah. | 是有点奇怪 |
[27:11] | What’s going on? What was that phone call? | 怎么了? 那通电话是怎么回事? |
[27:14] | We’re gonna meet and talk. | 我们要开会讨论 |
[27:17] | How’d it go? | 约会进行得如何? |
[27:19] | Not at all well. You know whose fault that is? | 一点也不好 你知道是谁的错? |
[27:21] | – John Tandy’s. – No. | -约翰谭迪 -不是 |
[27:22] | – Hers. – Yours. | -她的错 -你的错 |
[27:24] | Let’s go. | 走吧 |
[27:32] | – Leo, is he serious about this? – He’s on his way down. | -里奥,他是认真的吗? -他马上下来 |
[27:44] | Totally your fault. | 完全是你的错 |
[27:47] | I’m just, you know… I’m just the guy who does the thing. | 我只是 我就只会干这种事 |
[27:52] | – What? – They’ve run out of pie. | -什么? -厨房没有派了 |
[27:56] | – Evening. Thanks for being here so late. – Good evening, Mr. President. | -晚安,谢谢各位这么晚赶来 -晚安, 总统先生 |
[28:03] | A president stood up. He said, “We will land a man on the moon… | 曾有个总统站出来说 “我们将在十年内 |
[28:06] | …before the end of the decade.” | 在月球上登陆” |
[28:09] | You know what we knew when he said that? | 你知道当他那么说时 人们知道多少? |
[28:11] | Nothing. We didn’t know anything. | 我们完全不知道 |
[28:14] | We didn’t know the lunar surface. We didn’t know how to land. | 我们不知道月球表面 我们不知道怎么登陆 |
[28:17] | All we’d ever done is crash it into the ocean, and God knows… | 我们所能做的只有撞上海面 天知道 |
[28:20] | …if we could land, we didn’t know how to blast off again. | 我们到底能不能登陆 我们也不知道怎么再发射 |
[28:23] | But a president said, “We’re gonna do it,” and we did it. | 但这位总统说 “我们要做”而我们做到了 |
[28:27] | So I ask you, why shouldn’t I stand up… | 那我问,我为什么不该站出来 |
[28:30] | …and say,”We are going to cure cancer in 10 years”? | 说“我们将在十年后 治好癌症”? |
[28:41] | I’m really asking. | 我真的在问 |
[28:43] | How close are we to being able to do this? | 离目标还有多远? |
[28:45] | Nobody knows. Toby? | 没人知道,托比? |
[28:50] | – It’ll be seen as a political ploy. – Why? | -这会被当成政治手段 -为什么? |
[28:53] | It can be seen… Excuse me. | 会被当成抱歉 |
[28:56] | – It can be seen as self-serving. – How? | -会被当成为个人目的 -怎么说? |
[28:58] | Using cancer to deflect attention from MS. | 使用癌症转移人们对 多重性硬化症的注意力 |
[29:01] | You think people with cancer care what my motives are? Their families? | 癌症病人会在乎我的动机吗? 他们的家人呢? |
[29:04] | – I’m saying… – Joey. | -我的意思是 -乔伊 |
[29:07] | I agree with everything that’s been said. | 我同意刚刚大家说的话 |
[29:10] | Except I don’t think they’ll see it as deflecting the MS. | 除了我不认为这是转移 人们对多重性硬化症的注意力 |
[29:13] | They’ll see it as deflecting the censure. | 我会认为这是转移 对谴责的注意力 |
[29:16] | – Once again, why would…? – Everybody cares about motive. | -为什么这会? -大家都关心动机 |
[29:19] | – I didn’t… – Everybody cares about motives. | -我没有 -大家都关心动机 |
[29:21] | – Sam? – Yes, sir? | -山姆? -是的,长官? |
[29:23] | – Why shouldn’t I do it? – I think you should. | -我为什么不该说? -我认为你应该说 |
[29:26] | I think ambition is good. I think overreaching is good. | 我觉得有抱负很好 我觉得唱高调很好 |
[29:31] | Giving people a vision of government that’s more than Social Security checks… | 只要人们对政府的定义 不局限于退休金 |
[29:35] | …and debt reduction is good. I think government should be optimistic. | 减少公债很好 我认为政府应该乐观 |
[29:48] | I know it’s late, but I wanna start seeing drafts of a section in the next few hours. | 我知道现在很晚了 但我想在几小时后看到草稿 |
[29:53] | C.J., I want a sense of a media overview too. | 茜洁 我也要看媒体反应评估 |
[29:58] | – Now. – Thank you, sir. | -现在 -谢谢,长官 |
[30:00] | – Thank you, sir. – Yes, sir. | -谢谢,长官 -是的,长官 |
[30:14] | I just wanna look at some drafts. | 我只想看一些草稿 |
[30:22] | – I don’t have an hour to spend on this. – I can do it. | -我没一小时的时间做这个 -我可以 |
[30:25] | You don’t have an hour to spend on it either. | 你也没有一小时的时间做这个 |
[30:28] | – Why are you opposed to this? – Stopping to write about curing cancer? | -你为什么反对这件事? -写关于治疗癌症的事? |
[30:32] | – Yeah. – Because it’s never gonna be in. | -对 -因为这不会被写进去 |
[30:34] | – How do you know? – What resources do we have to devote? | -你怎么知道? -我们必须提供哪些资料? |
[30:38] | – I don’t know. – How much money is it gonna cost? | -我不知道 -这会花上多少钱? |
[30:40] | – I don’t know. – That’s how I know. | -我不知道 -我只知道这些 |
[30:45] | The man’s about to get a censure. He’s trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat. | 这个人就要接受谴责 他只想耍花招 |
[30:49] | – What are you doing humoring him? – I’m not. | -你为什么要取悦他? -我没有 |
[30:52] | I don’t want you spending more than an hour and a half. | 我不希望花超过 一小时半时间写草稿 |
[30:56] | – You’re a pollster. – Yes. | -你是民意调查专家 -对 |
[30:58] | You don’t think this would poll well. | 你不认为这会提高民调 |
[31:01] | Do I think people are in favor of curing cancer? Yes, I do. | 我认为人们会喜欢听到 治疗癌症吗?当然 |
[31:05] | So? | 然后呢? |
[31:08] | The federal government shouldn’t be directing scientific research. | 联邦政府不应该主导科学研究 |
[31:11] | – Why? – Because you stink at it. | -为什么? -因为你们做得很糟 |
[31:14] | If it was up to the NIH, to cure polio through a centrally-directed program… | 如果这是由卫生所决定 以中央主导研究治疗小儿麻痹 |
[31:18] | …instead of an independent investigator-driven discovery… | 而不是以独立研究员导向的 医学发现 |
[31:21] | …you’d have the best iron lung in the world, but not a polio vaccine. | 你们有全球最棒的铁肺 但小儿麻痹疫苗就不是 |
[31:25] | When did you get an MD? | 你何时拿到医学硕士? |
[31:27] | – I was just quoting Samuel Broder. – Who’s he? | -我只是引用山谬博德的话 -他是谁? |
[31:31] | The former director of the National Cancer Institute. | 全国癌症中心前主席 |
[31:35] | The speech is gonna work fine. Don’t overreact to the censure. | 演讲不会有问题 别对谴责反应过度 |
[31:39] | – There is no speech yet. – There will be. | -讲稿还不存在 -会有的 |
[31:44] | I have to work now. The president’s asked me to try this. | 我得工作了 总统要我试写看看 |
[31:48] | I’ll be in my office. | 我会待在办公室 |
[31:57] | Listen. | 听着 |
[31:59] | When the hell are we getting numbers? | 你何年何月才会拿到数字? |
[32:03] | – You’re a pleasure to work for. – When are we getting numbers? | -与你共事非常愉悦 -我们何时才知道数字? |
[32:07] | When I say so. | 我公布时 |
[32:13] | So many women, so little charm. | 这么多女人,这么少魅力 |
[32:17] | What in God’s name could you possibly want right now? | 你到底又想找我做什么? |
[32:21] | Let me tell you something. Making government manuals easier to read… | 让我告诉你一件事 简化政府文件 |
[32:25] | …would have been a winner. | 可能会深得民心 |
[32:27] | Come with me. | 跟我来 |
[32:30] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[32:33] | He happens to be more feminist than the White House. | 他比白宫更是一位女权主义者 |
[32:37] | I have no idea what you said. | 我不懂你在说什么 |
[32:38] | I said, he happens to be more feminist than the White House. | 他比白宫更是一位女权主义者 |
[32:42] | – Feminine? – Feminist. | -女性化? -女权主义者 |
[32:45] | He wrote the amendment making violence near abortion clinics a federal crime… | 他写了一篇关于在��胎诊所附近 制造暴乱等同联邦罪的修正案 |
[32:49] | …while you guys sought legal commentary. | 当你们白宫还在寻求法律评论 |
[32:51] | Forgive us for talking to lawyers about the law. | 抱歉 我们必须跟律师讨论法律 |
[32:54] | He single-handedly beat back three parental-consent bills… | 他独力反击三个家长同意法案 |
[32:57] | …and ran his own whip operation because they weren’t leadership priority. | 并自己进行少数党反对流程 因为不符合主席的优先顺序 |
[33:00] | The minority whip doesn’t work for us. | 少数党主席又不为我们工作 |
[33:02] | He ties the Violence Against Women Act to the crime bill… | 他把对女性加诸暴力法 等同于联邦法案 |
[33:05] | …over White House objection. | 在白宫反对下 |
[33:07] | I’m not quarreling with his credentials as a lover of women. He excels in that area. | 他爱女人的名声我完全没意见 他是该领域的专家 |
[33:12] | – Look who’s talking. – I’m just saying… | -看看谁在说话 -我只是说 |
[33:14] | – That he’s using me. – I was saying that. | -你说他在利用我 -我之前是那么说 |
[33:17] | I was saying it two weeks ago. Now I’m not saying anything. | 那是两周前的事 现在我啥也不说 |
[33:21] | – Amy. – Hey. | -艾咪 -嗨 |
[33:23] | – Congressman. – Josh. Great night for us. | -议员 -乔西,今晚是我们的 |
[33:26] | We’ll see. | 等着瞧 |
[33:27] | We’re doing some pictures with the president in the Mural Room. | 我们要跟总统在壁画室拍照 |
[33:30] | – You don’t want to do them yourself? – No, come on. | -你不想自己拍吗? -不,走吧 |
[33:36] | Go ahead. | 去啊 |
[33:38] | Photo-op. | 上镜头的好机会 |
[33:49] | – Amy? – Yeah. | -艾咪? -来了 |
[33:51] | Congratulations. | 恭喜 |
[33:56] | Yeah, we’ll see. | 对,等着瞧 |
[34:11] | Yeah. Come on in. | 对,进来吧 |
[34:16] | Good evening, Mr. President. | 晚安,总统先生 |
[34:18] | – You got it? – Yeah. | -你写好了? -对 |
[34:45] | This is good. | 写得很好 |
[34:48] | You know we can’t do it. | 你知道我们不能放进去 |
[34:50] | Yeah. | 对 |
[34:52] | We’d need to line up experts who can face the press in just two weeks. | 我们需要联络一些专家 帮我们在两周后面对媒体 |
[34:56] | – Yeah. – Sloan-Kettering… | -对 -史隆凯特林 |
[34:58] | …Dana-Farber, Cleveland Clinic, UCLA. | 黛娜法柏、克利夫兰、加州大学 |
[35:01] | We’d want to include the Society of Clinical Oncology. | 我们想加入 医学肿瘤学协会 |
[35:04] | – And the NCI. – The OMB would have to score it. | -国家癌症中心 -预算管理局得先通过 |
[35:08] | We haven’t identified the offsets to pay for it. | 我们还没找出能抵销的预算 |
[35:11] | We can barely tell them what the”it” is. | 我们根本不能告诉他们 这个法案是关于什么 |
[35:13] | Clinical trials under Medicare and Medicaid… | 医疗补助制度下的临床实验 |
[35:17] | …science and technology Democrats, the pharmaceutical companies. | 科学跟技术民主党员 制药公司 |
[35:24] | It was a good idea though. | 虽然是个好主意 |
[35:27] | We have other good ideas. | 我们还有别的好主意 |
[35:30] | So we don’t get water from a rock. | 所以没必要从岩石里挤水出来 |
[35:32] | We just do our thing and take our chances. | 我们只是尽本分碰运气 |
[35:35] | We think so. | 我们是这么想 |
[35:37] | We’re gonna have to do it awfully well this time. | 我们这一次一定要全垒打 |
[35:41] | We’ve done that before. | 我们之前也做过 |
[35:45] | Anything else? | 还有别的事吗? |
[35:48] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢,总统先生 |
[36:10] | C.J. | 茜洁 |
[36:12] | Would you excuse me? | 我离开一下好吗? |
[36:29] | Well, something happened at the half-hour mark. | 最后半个小时发生了一些事情 |
[36:33] | What? | 什么事? |
[36:35] | They remembered why they liked him in the first place. | 他们想起自己一开始 喜欢他的原因 |
[36:39] | The breakdowns are being handed around… | 分析还在进行中 |
[36:42] | …but the really good news are the panel backs. | 不过真正的好消息 来自小组通讯报 |
[36:45] | Sixteen Democrats, 16 Republicans and 12 Independents… | 16个民主党员、16个共和党员 跟12个独立党员 |
[36:49] | …were asked identical questions two days ago and one hour ago. | 分别在两天前和一小时前 被询问相同的问题 |
[36:54] | Two days ago, 48% said he was able to handle his job effectively. | 两天前,48%的人说 他能有效率地做好总统的事 |
[37:00] | Tonight that number’s 59. | 今晚的数字是59% |
[37:04] | Trustworthy: 60%, up from 41. | 信任度:从41提升到60% |
[37:07] | Give us the real one. | 给我们真正的数字 强势领袖能力:69% |
[37:16] | We’re back! Yes! | 我们回来了!太好了! |
[37:19] | Yes! | 太好了! |
[37:21] | Congratulations. | 恭喜 |
[37:40] | Somebody get these guys some pie. | 给这些家伙一些派吧 |
[37:44] | Is there an extra copy of the panel backs? | 有没有通讯报的影本? |
[37:46] | I got one. | 我有 |
[37:49] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[37:50] | – C.J.? – Hang on. | -茜洁? -等等 |
[37:51] | – Dance with me. – I’m just gonna toss this in my office. | -跟我跳舞 -我要把这个放到我办公室 |
[37:56] | – Congratulations, boss. – Nice job. Take the rest of the night off. | -恭喜,老板 -干得好,今晚我放你假 |
[38:00] | – It’s 1 in the morning. – Well, you earned it. | -现在是凌晨1点 -这是你应得的 |
[38:02] | Sam, Sam, the sunshine man. | 山姆,山姆,带来阳光的人 |
[38:05] | Get on the couch. I’m gonna do you right now. | 躺在沙发上 我现在就要上你 |
[38:08] | – Okay. – Sorry, I was talking to Carol. | -好啊 -抱歉,我还在跟卡洛说话 |
[38:10] | – What is wrong with you? – We really don’t know. | -你是怎么回事? -我真的不知道 |
[38:12] | Lisa mentioned that it wasn’t going that well. | 丽莎说事情不太顺利 |
[38:15] | – You still got a couple weeks with her. – I wish we hadn’t started tonight. | -你跟她还有几个礼拜要相处 -我希望不是在今晚开始 |
[38:19] | – Why? It was a shining moment. – It got the job done. | -为什么?这是个辉煌的时刻 -这让工作顺利完成 |
[38:23] | But it’s ironic that a sort of a thing between us is… | 可是我们之间的事 让情形有点尴尬 |
[38:26] | …I’m supposed to know the difference between flash and substance. | 我应该要知道 光彩与事实之间的差异 |
[38:29] | Sometimes a little flash is what’s required. You said that to me. | 有时候我们也需要一点光彩 那是你对我说的 |
[38:33] | I say that when I don’t have anything to say. | 因为我当时不知道该说什么 |
[38:35] | It wasn’t a Vegas act, it was stirring. | 这又不是拉斯维加斯法案 你的话很激励人 |
[38:37] | Don’t hang your head when you say it got the job done. | 当你说这让工作完成时 别觉得惭愧 |
[38:40] | There aren’t 10 guys in the country who could write that speech. | 在这国家不到10个人 能写出那么精采的讲稿 |
[38:44] | I’ll bet the cancer community can’t wait to buy me a beer. | 我赌癌症团体已经等不及 要请我喝杯酒了 |
[38:47] | – Hey… – I’m just… You know. | -嗨 -我只是你知道 |
[38:49] | Anyway, congratulations. | 还是恭喜你 |
[38:52] | If you’re serious about that thing with Carol… | 如果你跟卡洛那件事 是说真的 |
[38:54] | Get out. | 滚出去 |
[38:59] | Sorry, I was just getting some numbers. | 抱歉,我正在收集一些数字 |
[39:01] | – Can you tell me what they were? – They’re internal numbers. | -可以告诉我是哪些数字吗? -是内部数据 |
[39:04] | CNN/USA Today will have something in a little while. | CNN和《美国日报》 很快就会得到一些消息 |
[39:06] | Anyway, this is my office over here. | 言归正传,这是我的办公室 |
[39:08] | I’m gonna give my notes from tonight to someone else… | 我要把我的笔记交给其他人 |
[39:11] | …and let them finish the reporting over the next weeks. | 在接下来几周 让他们完成我的报导 |
[39:14] | – You’re obviously not comfortable. – They’re internal numbers. I can’t… | -你很明显不自在 -这是内部数据,我不 |
[39:18] | Yeah, whatever. I’m gonna give my notes to someone else. | 随便 我要把笔记交给别人 |
[39:24] | Anyway. | 言归正传 |
[39:26] | This is my office. | 这是我办公室 |
[39:30] | It’s nice. | 不错 |
[39:34] | C.J. asked if the reason we didn’t get married… | 茜洁问我们没结婚的原因 |
[39:36] | …was because your name would be Sherborne-Seaborn. | 会不会是因为你的名字 会变成谢波恩希朋 |
[39:40] | That’s exactly why we didn’t get married. | 那正是我们没结婚的原因 |
[39:46] | – Why didn’t we get married? – Why do you think? | -我们为什么没结婚? -你认为呢? |
[39:50] | Because I don’t know what the cool restaurant is and I don’t care. | 因为我不知道哪家餐厅最棒 而且我不在乎 |
[39:53] | When I get hungry I want to eat. | 肚子饿了我就吃 |
[39:56] | I don’t know where the Tommy Hilfiger party is. | 我不知道 汤米西尔费格的派对在哪 |
[39:58] | – And I wouldn’t know what to do there. – You’re full of crap. | -而且我也不知道该做什么 -你真是满口废话 |
[40:01] | – I was never cool enough for you. – You think too little of me. | -我对你而言不够酷 -你说谎,你瞧不起我 |
[40:04] | And I didn’t leave you, you left me. And you did it to do this. | 而且我没离开你,你离开我 你离开我来接这个工作 |
[40:08] | The reason you’re pissy is because I’m looking at you… | 你会这么生气是因为 我正在看着你、写你 |
[40:11] | …and you’re wondering if I’m gonna think… | 而你正在想我是否怀疑 |
[40:14] | …you’ve been doing anything at all. | 你到底有没有在做事情 |
[40:18] | It’s not clear to me whether or not I have. | 对我来说 我拥有的数据还不明朗 |
[40:20] | – You have. – How would you know? | -你有 -你怎么知道? |
[40:22] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[40:27] | Here’s something interesting. In 1940, our armed forces… | 1940年发生一件有趣的事 我们的军队 |
[40:31] | …weren’t among the 12 most formidable in the world… | 并不在世上最强的12国里面 |
[40:34] | …but, obviously, we were gonna fight a big war. | 但是很明显地 我们将要打一场世界大战 |
[40:37] | And Roosevelt said the U.S. would produce… | 罗斯福说 美国在未来四年 |
[40:40] | …50,000 planes in the next four years. Everyone thought it was a joke. | 会造出5万架飞机 大家都当成笑话 |
[40:43] | And it was, because it turned out we produced 100,000 planes. | 而这的确是笑话 因为结果我们造了10万架 |
[40:47] | Gave the Air Force an armada that would block the sun. | 派一组舰队给空军一号 就能遮住太阳 |
[40:53] | Do you still have what you wrote that night? | 你还有那晚写的草稿吗? |
[40:56] | – About curing cancer? – Yeah. | -关于治疗癌症? -对 |
[41:10] | Read it to me. | 念给我听 |
[41:15] | “Over the past half-century, we’ve split the atom… | “在过去半个世纪以来 我们分解了原子 |
[41:18] | …we’ve spliced the gene and we’ve roamed Tranquility Base. | 我们解析了基因 我们漫游了月球 |
[41:22] | We’ve reached for the stars and never have we been closer to having them. | 我们能碰到星星 而且从来没有这么接近过 |
[41:27] | New science, new technology is making the difference… | 新科学,新科技 正在生死之间 |
[41:30] | …between life and death, so we need a national commitment… | 产生出新的激荡 所以我们需要国家承诺 |
[41:33] | …equal to this unparalleled moment of possibility. | 在这前所未有 最有可能性的时刻 |
[41:37] | So I announce to you tonight that I will bring the full resources… | 我今晚在此向各位宣布 我将提供联邦政府所有资源 |
[41:40] | …of the federal government and the full reach of my office to this goal: | 在任期内达到此目标 |
[41:45] | We will cure cancer by the end of this decade.” | 我们将在十年内治好癌症” |
[41:51] | That was nice. | 写得真好 |
[41:54] | I’ll pass the notes along. | 我会把笔记给别人 |