时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | Your father used to hit you, didn’t he, Mr. President? | 你父亲曾经揍过你 对吧,总统先生? |
[00:10] | – Your father used to hit you, sir? – Yeah. | -你父亲曾经揍过你,长官? -对 |
[00:14] | – Not like a spanking? – He hit me. Why? | -不是用拍的? -他揍我,为什么问? |
[00:16] | – He punched you. – It was a complicated relationship. | -他用拳头揍你 -我们的关系很复杂 |
[00:19] | – Because you were smarter than he was. – You have stepped way over the line. | -因为你比他聪明 -你已经超出界线了 剧名:第五个晚上 (星期五晚间10:05) |
[00:43] | – Stanley. – Josh. | -史坦利 -乔西 |
[00:45] | – Your flight was all right? – It was fine. | -这趟飞行还好吧? -还好 |
[00:47] | – How are you? – Me? I’m fine. | -你好吗? -我吗?我很好 |
[00:50] | – These are your things? – Yeah. | -这些是你的东西? -对 |
[00:52] | I’ll put them in my office. | 我会放在办公室 |
[00:54] | – Should I go with you? – I’ll be right back. | -我应该跟你走吗? -不用,我马上回来 |
[01:03] | They’ll be all right back there. | 放在那儿应该安全 |
[01:05] | – Where to? – Ever seen the White House? | -去哪里? -参观过白宫吗? |
[01:07] | Just the little I saw when we talked last year. | 我们去年面谈时看过一下 |
[01:10] | Follow me. | 跟我来 |
[01:13] | This is the communications bullpen… | 这是通讯候审室 |
[01:15] | …where Toby Ziegler and Sam Seaborn work. | 也是托比齐格 跟山姆希朋的办公室 |
[01:17] | The rest of the speechwriting staff… | 其他写讲稿的幕僚 |
[01:20] | …works across the alley in the Old Executive Office Building. | 都在对面的旧行政大楼上班 |
[01:24] | And here comes the actual Sam Seaborn. | 这位是货真价实的山姆希朋 |
[01:27] | What’s going on? | 发生什么事? |
[01:28] | Leo’s reading it. We’ll send it out in 10, 15 minutes. | 里奥正在看 再过10到15分钟就要送出去 |
[01:31] | So Toby’s been banging around. | 托比正在到处走动 |
[01:33] | – What are you doing? – Banging around. | -你在做什么? -到处走动 |
[01:35] | This is Dr. Keyworth. | 这位是基沃斯博士 |
[01:37] | – Sam Seaborn. – Nice to meet you. | -山姆希朋 -很高兴认识你 |
[01:39] | – Did you have a good flight? – Yes. | -旅程愉快吗? -是的 |
[01:41] | – Anybody you know on the plane? – No. | -飞机上有认识的人吗? -没 |
[01:43] | – Okay. I’ll see you. – Yeah. | -好吧,待会见 -好 |
[01:48] | That’s Leo’s office. | 那是里奥的办公室 |
[01:50] | It has a private entrance to the Oval Office, but we’ll go in here. | 里面有椭圆办公室的私人入口 但我们就从这里进去 |
[01:54] | Driver asked me the same question. | 司机也问我相同的问题 |
[01:56] | – What? – Did I know anybody on the plane. | -什么? -飞机上有没有认识的人 |
[01:58] | He wanted to know if you talked to anybody. | 他想知道 你有没有跟任何人说话 |
[02:00] | – I didn’t. – I know. | -我没有 -我知道 |
[02:04] | This is the Oval Office. | 这是椭圆办公室 |
[02:10] | That’s the Resolute Desk. | 这是坚定桌 |
[02:12] | It was built from timbers of the HMS Resolute and given to Hayes… | 是由英国皇家海军舰船 的木材制成,并由 |
[02:15] | …by Queen Victoria to thank the U.S. for finding the abandoned ship. | 维多利亚皇后致赠给海斯 以感谢美国找到弃船 |
[02:20] | We’re gonna go to the residence, but I’ll take you through the Portico. | 我们现在要前往官邸 但我要先带你通过门廊 |
[02:24] | Josh? Wouldn’t you like to sit someplace and talk? | 乔西?你要不要 找个地方坐下来谈? |
[02:28] | – Yeah. – Why the tour? | -好啊 -为什么要带我参观? |
[02:31] | – You don’t think this is interesting? – It’s fascinating… | -你不觉得有趣吗? -是很引人入胜 |
[02:33] | If somebody sees us, I’d like them to see me giving you a tour. | 如果有人看到我们 我希望他们觉得我在带你参观 |
[02:47] | Who built the White House? | 谁盖白宫的? |
[02:48] | It was designed by an Irish architect named James Hoban… | 这是由一位爱尔兰建筑师 詹姆斯霍本所设计 |
[02:52] | …who won the job in an open competition. | 他在一场公开赛中 得到这项工作 |
[02:56] | And it was built largely by slaves. | 大部分是由奴隶建造 |
[02:58] | They found the pay receipts a few years ago. | 他们在几年前 找到付款的收据 |
[03:00] | The slaves were paid? | 奴隶有薪水? |
[03:02] | Their owners. | 付给他们的主人 |
[03:04] | Right through here. | 就在那儿 |
[03:06] | Buchanan was visited by Edward, Prince of Wales. | 威尔斯王子爱德华 曾拜访过布坎南 |
[03:08] | And he decided there wasn’t room for guests. | 他认为这里的客房不足 |
[03:11] | But it took another 40 years to move all the office space out of the residence. | 但他花了40年的时间 才把所有办公室移出官邸 |
[03:15] | You’re really seeing something, Stanley. | 你就要大开眼界了 史坦利 |
[03:18] | Tours don’t go to the second floor of the mansion. | 参观行程不可能到达 大楼的二楼 |
[03:20] | – You’re sure it’s okay? – Yeah. | -你确定没关系? -对 |
[03:22] | We’re gonna go in here now. This is the president’s private study. | 我们现在就要进去了 这是总统的私人书房 |
[03:26] | – His private study? – Yeah. | -他的私人书房? -对 |
[03:31] | Okay. Should we close the door? | 好吧,我们要关上门吗? |
[03:34] | No, that’s all right. | 不,这样没关系 |
[03:36] | So tell me how you’ve been feeling. | 告诉我你觉得如何 |
[03:39] | Good. | 很好 |
[03:42] | – Stanley. – Hey, Leo. | -史坦利 -里奥 |
[03:45] | – You getting a tour of the place? – Yeah. | -你正在参观白宫吗? -对 |
[03:48] | You show him the North Portico? | 你带他去看北门廊了? |
[03:50] | Leo likes to show people the soot stains. | 里奥喜欢带人去看火烧的痕迹 |
[03:52] | From when the British torched the place. | 来自当年英国人 放火烧白宫时留下的 |
[03:54] | – They haven’t repainted? – Not that. | -还没重新粉刷? -没 |
[03:57] | When Dolley Madison heard the cannon fire, she evacuated the building… | 当多莉麦迪逊听到大跑轰炸时 她下令撤空大楼 |
[04:00] | …but she already had the table set for a 40-person dinner. | 但她当时已经准备好了 40人的晚餐在桌上 |
[04:03] | So the British soldiers ate and then set the building on fire. | 所以英国士兵先把晚餐吃掉 然后才放火烧大楼 |
[04:07] | – So the food didn’t go to waste. – That’s right. | -这样才不会浪费食物 -没错 |
[04:14] | – How was your flight? – It was fine. | -你的旅程如何? -还好 |
[04:17] | Did you know anyone on the plane? | 飞机上有认识的人吗? |
[04:22] | You didn’t bring me here to talk to Josh, did you? | 你不是带我来这儿 跟乔西谈的对吧? |
[04:25] | – No. – Who did you bring me here to talk to? | -对 -你带我来跟谁谈? |
[04:29] | Dr. Keyworth… | 基沃斯博士 |
[04:32] | …did you know anyone on the plane? | 飞机上有认识的人吗? 片名:白宫风云 主演:罗伯洛 演出:杜希尔 主演:艾莉森詹尼 主演:珍妮尔摩隆奈 主演:里察薛福 主演:约翰史宾塞 主演:布雷迪威佛德 主演:马丁辛 片名:白宫风云 |
[05:23] | No. No, sir, I didn’t know anyone on the plane. | 不长官 我在飞机上没有认识的人 |
[05:29] | We’ll leave you alone. | 我们先离开了 |
[05:32] | – The speech is going out? – In a few minutes. | -演讲快发出去了? -再过几分钟 |
[05:45] | – I’m Jed Bartlet. – Stanley Keyworth. | -我是杰德巴特勒 -史坦利基沃斯 |
[05:48] | – I guess we knew that. – Yes, sir. | -我想我们都知道 -是,长官 |
[05:50] | – I’ve been having trouble sleeping. – I’m sorry? | -我一直都有睡眠问题 -什么? |
[05:53] | You understand that this is an election year, right? | 你知道今年是选举年吧? |
[05:56] | I mean, by itself, who cares? | 就算是,又有谁在乎? |
[05:58] | President has trouble sleeping, talks to a doctor. | 总统有睡眠困扰 去找医生谈啊 |
[06:01] | But with the MS and the hearings, and you’re a psychiatrist… . | 但是多重性硬化症跟公听会的事 你又是个心理学家 |
[06:04] | – Yeah. – Okay. | -对 -好吧 |
[06:09] | – I’m not an expert in sleep disorders. – Yeah. | -但我不是睡眠失调专家 -是啊 |
[06:12] | – I’m a trauma specialist. – Yeah, we know you. | -我是创伤治疗专家 -我们知道你 |
[06:15] | You helped Josh out last year. | 你去年帮助过乔西 |
[06:18] | Josh was shot. | 乔西被射击 |
[06:19] | Me too. | 我也是 |
[06:21] | – Is that why you can’t sleep? – How would I know? | -那是你不能睡的原因吗? -我怎么知道? |
[06:24] | – That’s a fair point. – Thank you. | -很公平 -谢谢 制片:保罗瑞福 |
[06:29] | Well, Mr. President… | 总统先生 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 |
[06:35] | …tell me the nature of your sleeping problem. | 告诉我你失眠的状况 |
[06:37] | – I can’t sleep. – What happens when you try to sleep? | -我睡不着 -你试着要睡时,发生什么事? |
[06:40] | – I stay awake. – How long has it been? | -我保持清醒 -已经多久了? 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 |
[06:43] | Four nights. | 四个晚上 |
[06:45] | – You haven’t slept in four nights? – Right. | -你已经四天没睡了? -对 |
[06:47] | – It must be hard. – Yeah. | -一定很难受 -是啊 |
[06:49] | – Have you tried taking a sleeping pill? – The third night. | -你试过吃安眠药吗? -第三天 |
[06:52] | – It didn’t work? – Not till the next morning… | -没有效? -直到次日早上 |
[06:55] | …in the middle of a national security briefing. | 在国家安全简报开到一半 我才想睡 |
[06:58] | Well, that’s no good. | 制片:李维林威尔斯 真糟糕 |
[07:00] | Stanley, I think you’re underselling yourself… | 史坦利 当你说你不是睡眠失调专家 编剧:艾伦索金 |
[07:02] | …when you say you’re not an expert in sleep disorders… | 我想你太低估自己了 |
[07:05] | …because you’ve been right straight on the money so far. | 导演:克里斯多福米夏诺 因为你到目前为止都很正确 |
[07:09] | – How many of those you smoke a day? – Not many. | -你一天抽多少烟? -不多 |
[07:13] | Nicotine will keep you up at night. | 尼古丁会让你晚上清醒 |
[07:15] | – Never has before. – It could be now. | -以前从没有过 -现在可能会 |
[07:18] | You think if I put this out I’m gonna fall asleep? | 你认为我只要熄掉这根烟 就能马上入睡? |
[07:21] | – No. – Then let’s move on. | -不 -那就继续 |
[07:23] | All right. | 好吧 |
[07:26] | Let’s rule out some things. Physical factors. | 我们先排除一些事 生理因素 |
[07:29] | – Do you have arthritis? – No. | -你有关节炎吗? -没 |
[07:32] | – Heartburn? – No. | -心灼热? -没 |
[07:33] | Irregular breathing or periodic muscle contractions? | 呼吸不规律或周期性肌肉收缩? |
[07:38] | – No. – All right. | -没 -好吧 |
[07:40] | Lifestyle factors. | 生活形式因素 |
[07:42] | I’m sorry. Before we get to lifestyle factors, I’m just gonna turn this on. | 抱歉,在我们进入生活形式前 先让我看一下这个 |
[07:46] | It’s a closed-circuit thing. I’m at the U.N. on Monday. | 这是闭路电视 我周一要出席联合国 |
[07:51] | Leaving Andrews at 8 for the 9:30 address to the General Assembly. | 于8点离开安德鲁 9点半在联合国大会发表演说 |
[07:54] | – When do we see copies? – When we’re done writing it. | -我们何时可以看到讲稿? -当我们写完时 |
[07:58] | – When do we see copies? – Sunday night. | -我们何时可以看到讲稿? -周日晚上 |
[08:00] | – Has the State Department reviewed it? – We’ll be getting the reviews. | -国务院审阅过了吗? -我们会收到审阅结果 |
[08:03] | Also House and Senate Foreign Relations. | 还有参众两议院跟外交部 |
[08:05] | – And we see it Sunday night? – Sunday night. | -周日晚上才会看到? -周日晚上 |
[08:08] | That’s it, everybody. That’s a full lid. | 就这样,各位,今天到此结束 |
[08:10] | Thank you, C.J. | 谢谢,茜洁 |
[08:13] | C.J. | 茜洁 |
[08:15] | – What are you doing here? – I’m missing a reporter. | -你在这里做什么? -我失去一位记者 |
[08:18] | – Who? – Bill Price. | -谁? -比尔普莱斯 |
[08:20] | – Isn’t Billy in the Congo? – Yeah. | -比利在刚果不是吗? -对 |
[08:24] | Come back here. | 到后面来 |
[08:28] | He files stories to New York at a predetermined time. | 他通常会在截稿日前 就把新闻送到纽约 |
[08:32] | Missed two deadlines in a row. | 他已经连续错过两个截稿日 |
[08:33] | – Does he miss deadlines? – No. | -他以前有错过吗? -十五年来一次也没 |
[08:35] | – What does State say? – I’m having trouble finding people. | -国务院怎么说? -我找不到人 |
[08:38] | – The other end? – I’ve talked to the embassy. | -另一边呢? -我已经跟大使馆谈过了 |
[08:40] | But this is the Congo. | 但这是在刚果 |
[08:42] | – What do you think? – I think he left the capital. | -你在想什么? -我想他离开首都了 |
[08:44] | – Without written permission? – How would he know? | -没写请愿书? -他怎么知道? |
[08:47] | – By reading State background notes. – Does that sound like Billy? | -只要看过国务院背景纪录 -这像是比利会做的事吗? |
[08:51] | – No. – C.J., the first 15 minutes… | -不 -茜洁,前15分钟 |
[08:53] | …are critical in a war zone abduction. | 是战区绑架案的关键期 |
[08:55] | – If he can be delivered to a higher-up… – I’ll talk to Leo. | -如果这件事可以请高层 -我会跟里奥谈 |
[08:58] | I know Billy’s been a pain in the ass, but he’s got a wife and two kids. | 我知道比利是个讨人厌的家伙 但他有老婆跟孩子 |
[09:02] | So if you could forget about… | 要是你可以忘记 |
[09:04] | I don’t care that he’s been… . | 我不管他是不是个讨人厌 |
[09:06] | Look, if he’s missed two deadlines, then his 15 minutes was yesterday. | 听着,如果他错过两个截稿日 那15分钟就是昨天的事 |
[09:10] | – I know. – I’d call his wife. | -我知道 -如果我是你,我会连络他妻子 |
[09:13] | Yeah. | 好 |
[09:27] | – Toby. The pacing. – Yeah. | -托比,不要踱步 -好 |
[09:40] | Okay, now the standing-still is bothering me a little bit. | 现在你一动也不动 也开始惹我心烦了 |
[09:51] | This is the fifth time you’re reading it. Are there words you don’t understand? | 这是你第五次读讲稿了 有你看不懂的字吗? |
[09:57] | There wouldn’t be, because you can’t rise to a position like yours without… . | 当然没有 因为以你位高权重怎么可能 |
[10:03] | Look, this is exactly what we said we wanted it to be. | 听着,这跟我们设想的完全一样 |
[10:06] | We said we were tired of reading about his scattershot foreign policy. | 我说我们已经厌倦 他漫无目标的外交政策 |
[10:10] | We said,”You wanna fillet me for this, fine.” | 我们说“想把我搞死,请便” |
[10:12] | – We said,”When we go to the U. N… .” – I think it’s great. | -我们说“当我们到联合国” -我觉得写得很棒 |
[10:17] | – Yeah? – I do. | -是吗? -真的 |
[10:19] | Your wife’s gonna have something to say about it. | 最好也给你老婆瞧瞧 称赞几句 |
[10:22] | My ex-wife. Why do you call her my wife? | 我前妻 你为什么称她我老婆? |
[10:24] | – It bothers you. – Everything does. | -这让你心烦 -每件事都让我烦 |
[10:26] | – But you pick that? – Yeah. | -你偏要挑这个? -对 |
[10:32] | Toby, the night of the lowa caucus, when you got back… | 托比,那晚在爱荷华政党大会 当你回来 |
[10:36] | …did you and the president have a conversation that night? | 你跟总统是不是有谈到话? |
[10:40] | Yeah. | 对 |
[10:42] | l… | 我 |
[10:45] | When he got back, for a minute. | 当他回来时,大约一分钟 |
[10:46] | – What did you talk about? – Nothing. | -你们谈了什么? -没什么 |
[10:50] | – He seemed kind of upset about it. – It didn’t go well. | -他看起来好像很不高兴 -我们谈得不愉快 |
[10:53] | – What was it? – It was personal. | -关于什么? -私事 |
[10:55] | – It was personal? – Yeah. | -私事? -对 |
[10:58] | Well, that always works well with him. | 他的私事通常都没问题 |
[11:00] | What has he said about the speech? | 他对讲稿有没有意见? |
[11:05] | He thinks it’s great. He hasn’t said anything to you? | 他觉得很棒 他什么都还没跟你说? |
[11:08] | We haven’t talked in a little while. | 我们好一会没说话了 |
[11:11] | – Toby, what the hell went on in there? – Don’t worry about it. | -托比,到底发生什么事? -别担心 |
[11:15] | Okay. I’m gonna read this again. | 好吧,我要再读一次 |
[11:18] | – Sure. Because it’s that sixth time. – Yeah. | -当然,因为这是第六次 -对 |
[11:24] | – Did you read it? – It’s great. | -你读过了吗? -写得很棒 |
[11:26] | Someone’s gonna get an ass-kicking from the missus. | 有人要被老婆踢屁股了 |
[11:32] | It’s what we asked for, you know. | 这就是我们要的,你知道 |
[11:34] | – We’re gonna have to get ready for it. – Yeah. | -我们必须做好准备 -是啊 |
[11:36] | – Something else has come up, though. – What? | -有别的事要发生了 -什么? |
[11:39] | Leonard Wallace just came to me. | 李纳德华利斯刚刚来找我 |
[11:41] | Billy Price is in the Congo, and he’s missed two deadlines. | 比利普莱斯在刚果报导 已经错过两个截稿日 |
[11:45] | He hasn’t gotten anywhere. | 他哪里也没去 |
[11:46] | Kinshasa confirmed that a Belgian TV crew shooting outside Goma… | 金夏沙的大使馆证实 有一组比利时电视人员在葛马 |
[11:50] | …saw an American captured by Mai Mai rebels. | 看到一个美国人 被玛依玛依叛军抓走 |
[11:53] | Hasn’t State had a travel advisory out for, like, 10 years? | 国务院不是发出旅游警告 已有10年了对吧? |
[11:56] | Twenty-four. | 24年 |
[11:58] | What is he doing there? | 他在那里做什么? |
[11:59] | Reporting a story no one is paying attention to. | 写一个没人注意的故事 |
[12:05] | – He’s on his way. | -去找刚果使馆专员谈 -已经在谈了 |
[12:08] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[12:14] | – He liked it. – Yeah? | -他喜欢 -是吗? |
[12:16] | Mostly what I wrote. Not so much what you wrote. | 大部分是我写的 而不是你写的 |
[12:19] | So how long you think before the old lady comes by to give you a whupping? | 那你想大概再过多久 老婆大人就要过来打屁股了? |
[12:24] | – Her office called already, didn’t they? – You bet, baby. | -她办公室打电话来了对吧? -当然,宝贝 |
[12:29] | You probably wanna rethink calling me”baby.” | 你最好想清楚再叫我“宝贝” |
[12:31] | Yeah. Whoa, Nelly. | 哇喔,妮莉 |
[12:35] | Hello. | 哈�� |
[12:36] | You could make a good dog break his leash. | 你可以让一只乖狗狗脱疆 |
[12:39] | I was at a social function. | 我刚从社交场合回来 |
[12:40] | Americans for the Preservation of Family Values and White People? | 保存家庭与白人价值大会? |
[12:43] | – The Federalist Society. – A hootenanny. | -联邦协会 -小聚会罢了 |
[12:45] | – I was paged. I was told to come in. – Yes. | -我接到传呼通知叫我过来 -对 |
[12:48] | Thirty-two fifty is a consolidated appropriations act… | 3250是一个 已经通过的拨款法案 |
[12:51] | …that we wanna drop in the U.N. speech for Monday. | 我们想在周一的联合国大会上 丢进去 |
[12:54] | I need you to review the legislative language… | 我需要你检查 其中的立法字眼 |
[12:57] | …so we can shop it around the Hill. | 我们才能卖到国会去 |
[12:59] | – What does it call for? – I don’t know. | -法案要求什么? -我不知道 |
[13:01] | – Sam. – It authorizes payment of 926 million… | -山姆 -通过9点26亿预算 |
[13:04] | …in U.N. dues in exchange for a reduction in U.N. bureaucracy… | 联合国欠款 作为交换联合国人事费减免 |
[13:08] | …as well as peacekeeping assessments. | 还有维持和平费用 |
[13:10] | – What are we concerned about? – The language is drafted by Republicans. | -我们的顾虑是什么? -内文用语是共和党员写的 |
[13:13] | – We’re inscrutable. – Look for legal land mines. | -我们是深不可测的 -小心法律陷阱 |
[13:16] | – Like what? – A ban on German food… | -例如? -禁止德国食物 |
[13:18] | …or amendment saying the French are annoying. | 或抱怨法国很烦人的修正案 |
[13:20] | How about we drop out of the U.N. entirely… | 我们何不完全撤出联合国 |
[13:23] | …and use the 926 million to take everybody in the country out to brunch? | 用这9点26亿美元 请全国人民吃顿早餐? |
[13:26] | – Write that suggestion in the margin. – I’ll be in my office. | -把这个建议写在空白处 -我会在办公室里 |
[13:31] | I didn’t even see that thing from the back. | 我漏掉背面了 |
[13:35] | Well, that takes care of lifestyle factors. | 生活形式因素说完了 |
[13:39] | What about environmental factors? | 环境因素呢? |
[13:42] | – Like what? – Too much light in the room. | -例如? -房间里灯光太强 |
[13:45] | No. | 没有 |
[13:46] | – Extremes in room temperature. – No. | -房间温度变化过大 -没 |
[13:49] | – Noise. – Noise? | -噪音 -噪音? |
[13:51] | Planes flying overhead, that kind of thing. | 飞机飞过头上那种声音 |
[13:53] | Planes aren’t allowed to fly over the White House. | 飞机不允许飞过白宫上头 |
[13:57] | – You haven’t slept in four nights. – Right. | -你已经四晚没睡了 -对 |
[14:00] | – How much sleep do you usually get? – Four or five hours. | -你通常睡多少? -四或五小时 |
[14:05] | Well, we’ve been through physical factors… | 我们已经讨论过 生理因素 |
[14:09] | …lifestyle factors and environmental factors. | 生活型态因素跟环境因素 |
[14:13] | – That leaves us with… – Psychological factors. | -我们只剩下 -心理因素 |
[14:19] | Yes, sir. | 对,长官 |
[14:21] | What were the odds? | 机会可真大啊? |
[14:23] | Right. | 对 |
[14:28] | – So you got a few minutes? – Just a few minutes. | -你有时间吗? -只有几分钟 |
[14:31] | What’s going on? | 发生什么事? |
[14:32] | We’re at the U.N. on Monday giving a new foreign-policy speech… | 我们将于周一在联合国 发表新的外交政策演说 |
[14:35] | …that’s gonna stir some things up. | 可能会让天下大乱 |
[14:37] | But the thing is, it was a relatively small circle of people… | 不过问题是 之前相对来说比较小的团体 |
[14:40] | …who were consulted on the speech, and that circle got wider tonight. | 负责担任讲稿的谘询顾问 而今晚这个团体变大了 |
[14:44] | So it’ll be a weekend of bartering. | 所以这个周末要来以物易物了 |
[14:46] | And Josh is usually one of the point men on that so… | 乔西通常是谈判代表之一 所以 |
[14:49] | – You need to get back to the office. – I have a few minutes. | -你得回办公室了 -我还有几分钟 |
[14:52] | – How have you been? – Great. | -你过得如何? -很好 |
[14:54] | – You guys survived? – Dot-coms didn’t run out of steam. | -你们这些家伙还活着吧? -网路公司还有一口气 |
[14:58] | – They didn’t? – It’s just hype. | -还活着? -那只是唬人的 |
[14:59] | – I see. – Do you? | -我懂了 -真的? |
[15:01] | No. | 不 |
[15:03] | – It’s easier to start up now. – Why? | -现在起步比较容易 -为什么? |
[15:05] | There’s less pressure to be a success overnight. | 现在一夜致富的压力比较少了 |
[15:07] | Which brings us to this. | 所以我们就想出这个主意 |
[15:13] | “Capitalscoop. Com.” | “国会内部网站” |
[15:14] | It’ll track legislation, profile people in power, spotlight special interest. | 我们会追踪法案、提供权力人士 身家调查,特别事件报导 |
[15:19] | – Gossip. – Not gossip. Hard substance. | -八卦 -不是八卦,是真材实料 |
[15:22] | Public policy. That’s why we need all the help we can get. | 公共政策 所以我们需要各种帮助 |
[15:25] | I doubt I can get Josh involved. It’d be a conflict. | 我不知道我能不能找乔西帮忙 这可能会引起冲突 |
[15:28] | No, I don’t want Josh. I want you. | 不,我不要乔西,我要你 |
[15:31] | – I’m sorry? – I want you. | -什么? -我要你 |
[15:33] | I don’t know where I’d find the time… | 我不知道我有没有时间 |
[15:35] | It’s Friday at 11. I’m basically on a lunch break right now. | 现在是周五晚上11点 这就算是我的午餐时间了 |
[15:39] | You don’t understand. I’m talking about full-time. | 你不了解 我是指全职 |
[15:42] | Issues director for Capitalscoop. Com. | 国会内幕网站的发行主任 |
[15:47] | Well, l… | 我 |
[15:49] | I’m surprised, and I’m flattered. | 我非常受宠若惊 |
[15:53] | But I’m, you know, not at all qualified. | 但是我并不那么称职 |
[15:56] | That’s not true. You’ve been Josh Lyman’s traffic cop. | 事实并非如此 你曾经担任乔西赖曼的编辑顾问 |
[16:00] | That’s like an M.A. in power-brokering. | 那简直是股票公司的硕士 |
[16:02] | You know the Hill. You know every corner of the White House. | 你认识国会大厦的人 你知道白宫的任何一个角落 |
[16:05] | You know every pressure point 10 miles from the Potomac. | 你知道波多马克河10里外 所有的压力点 |
[16:09] | – Is this your operating budget? – It’s your starting salary. | -这是你的执行预算? -这是你的起薪 |
[16:15] | – Ginger? – She’s not here. | -金洁? -她不在 |
[16:17] | – Is Bonnie here? – They went to get something to eat. | -邦妮在吗? -她们一起去吃东西了 |
[16:20] | – Have we met? – No. | -我们见过吗? -没 |
[16:21] | – I’m Celia Walton. – Sam Seaborn. | -我是西莉雅华顿 -山姆希朋 |
[16:23] | – You were sent over for the week. – Yeah. | -你被派来帮忙一周 -对 |
[16:27] | – We appreciate your helping out. – I go where I’m told. | -感谢你来帮忙 -我只是遵命行事 |
[16:30] | – Do you mind if I say something to you? – No. | -我可以跟你建议一些事吗? -请 |
[16:33] | The way you talked to that woman before. | 你跟那女士说话的方式 |
[16:35] | – What woman? – I don’t know her name. | -哪位女士? -我不知道她的名字 |
[16:37] | The dog on a leash. | 脱疆的野狗 |
[16:39] | That was Ainsley Hayes. She’s an associate counsel. | 她是艾金丝莉海耶斯 她是主席顾问 |
[16:42] | Yeah. It was rude. It was inappropriate, and it was offensive. | 对,那很无礼,而且很不恰当 很冒犯人 |
[16:46] | – What did I do? – You demeaned her. | -我做了什么? -你在贬损她的身分 |
[16:49] | No, we’re friends. It’s a completely mature… . You know. | 不,我们是朋友 完全是成熟的行为 |
[16:53] | – Also, she started it. – Whatever. | -而且,是她先开始的 -随便 |
[16:56] | Well… . | 那么 |
[16:58] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[17:03] | I wasn’t demeaning her. I was complimenting her. | 我不是在贬损她 我是在恭维她 |
[17:06] | A White House counsel, and you’re complimenting her on her sexuality? | 她是白宫顾问 而你用她的性别恭维她? |
[17:10] | – She looked good in the dress, I thought. – Okay. | -我只是觉得她看起来很漂亮 -好吧 |
[17:17] | – Where is he? – Congresswoman. | -他在哪? -议员 |
[17:18] | – Where is he, Sam? – Toby? | -他在哪,山姆? -托比? |
[17:20] | – Yes. – I do not know. | -对 -我不知道 |
[17:22] | – Liar. – Here to talk about the speech? | -骗子 -你来谈讲稿的事? |
[17:24] | I and the House International Relations Committee, yes. | 我跟众议院国际关系委员会 都想谈这件事 |
[17:27] | Your fingerprints are all over this too. | 你们的指纹都在上面 |
[17:30] | You and Toby wanna be responsible for starting World War III? | 你跟托比打算负起引起 第三次世界大战的责任吗? |
[17:33] | – Well, you’re gonna. – I was having a good night. | -你必须负起责任 -三分钟前我的夜晚还算不错 |
[17:36] | – Where is he? – I don’t know. | -他在哪? -我不知道 |
[17:38] | – You said that already. – You asked me again. I still didn’t know. | -你已经说过了 -你又问我一次,我还是不知道 |
[17:44] | May I wait in his office? | 我可以在他办公室等吗? |
[17:46] | Better his than mine. | 最好待在他的办公室 |
[17:50] | – What were we talking about? – I’m a temporary hand here for a week… | -我们刚刚在说什么? -我只是暂时来帮忙 |
[17:54] | …but I don’t think it’s a joke. | 但我不觉得这是笑话 |
[17:56] | Ginger and Bonnie are getting something to eat. | 金洁跟邦妮去吃东西了 |
[17:59] | Yeah. | 对啊 |
[18:00] | I need these distributed. | 帮我发出去 |
[18:06] | Andy’s in your office. | 安迪在你办公室 |
[18:08] | – You let her in my office? – Yeah. | -你让她进我办公室? -对 |
[18:11] | What the hell did you let her in my office for? | 你干么让她进我办公室? |
[18:14] | Okay. Well, I’m gonna step out for a minute and not be in this area anymore. | 好吧,我要出去透气 先避开这个地方 |
[18:30] | How could you do this without consulting people? | 你怎么可以不先谘询人 就做这种事? |
[18:32] | Come on in. We consulted plenty of people. | 进来吧 我们跟很多人讨论过了 |
[18:35] | You think Sam and I create foreign policy? | 你以为我跟山姆 会写外交政策吗? |
[18:38] | I don’t know. You, Sam, Abbott, Costello! | 我不知道 你跟山姆简直像喜剧演员! |
[18:41] | We brought in for three weeks. | 我们已经写好三周了 |
[18:43] | You bring in anybody from State? Who? | 你们有引进任何国务院的人吗? 谁? |
[18:45] | Secretary of State. How can you come here? | 国务院 你怎么可以来这里? |
[18:47] | I’m third on the damn committee. | 我是委员会第三位 |
[18:49] | – It’s a presidential address, not a camel. – A what? | -这是总统演说,又不是骆鸵 -什么? |
[18:52] | A camel! A horse built by committee. | 骆鸵!委员会造的马 |
[18:58] | “Freedom must run deeper than the free flow of capital. | “自由必须 比流通的资金更有意义 |
[19:01] | Freedom must mean more than the free trade of goods and services. | 自由必须比 自由贸易的商品与服务更具意义 |
[19:04] | – The world…” – I read it. | -这世界” -我读过了 |
[19:06] | “The world will be free when we have freedom of speech for every nation.” | “当每个国家都有言论自由时 这世界会更自由” |
[19:09] | In fact, I wrote it. | 事实上这是我写的 |
[19:11] | “…when there is freedom to worship. | “当自由被歌诵时 |
[19:13] | The world will be free when we finally shake off the rusted chains of tyranny… | 这世界会被解放 从腐烂的暴政统治下 |
[19:18] | …whether in the guise of fascist dictatorship or ethnic hostility…” | 这些暴政只是法斯西独裁者 或反道德” |
[19:22] | – A little nervous? – Wait for it. | -你有点紧张? -听我说完 |
[19:26] | “The crushing yoke of Islamic fanaticism.” | “回教狂热的毁灭性” |
[19:30] | Gentlemen, start your engines. | 各位,准备好你的武器 |
[19:32] | Billy’s wife is already here. She’s in my office now. | 比利的老婆已经来了 正在我办公室里 |
[19:35] | – Is she very upset? – She’s… . | -她很难过吗? -她 |
[19:38] | – Send them in. – She’s with Leonard. | -请他们进来 -她跟李纳德在一起 |
[19:40] | Come in. | 请进 |
[19:43] | Everybody, this is McKennen Loboko, | 各位,这位是麦肯尼罗波戈 刚果使馆专员 |
[19:46] | – McKonnen. – I’m sorry. | -麦康尼 -抱歉 |
[19:48] | Mr. Loboko, you know our situation? | 罗波戈先生,你知道情形吗? |
[19:50] | We’ve got a reporter who we believe was taken by the Mai Mais. | 我们有位记者 据信已被玛依玛依叛军掳走 |
[19:54] | He shouldn’t have traveled without documentation. | 他不该不带证件到处旅行 |
[19:56] | The Mai Mais care about documentation, do they? | 玛依玛依叛军会看证件是吗? |
[19:59] | – I beg your pardon. – He wouldn’t have been abducted? | -请再说一次 -他有证件就不会被绑? |
[20:02] | We haven’t been introduced. | 我们还没介绍彼此 |
[20:04] | C.J. Cregg, White House press secretary. | 茜洁葛瑞 白宫媒体发言人 |
[20:06] | He sat in my room for a year, his wife’s in my office… | 他在我办公室工作一年 他妻子正在我办公室 |
[20:09] | …his kids are at home, and I want him back. | 他孩子还在家,我要他回来 |
[20:12] | You think I have him in my briefcase? | 你以为我把他藏在办公包里吗? |
[20:14] | This is a shakedown, so tell us how much money and where does it go. | 这是敲诈 告诉我们要多少钱还有汇给谁 |
[20:18] | The Congolese government doesn’t negotiate with murderers. | 刚果政府不跟谋杀者交涉 |
[20:21] | The Congolese government is a myth. | 刚果政府是个谜团 |
[20:26] | I can’t talk to this woman. | 我不能跟这女人说话 |
[20:29] | Mr. Loboko, how much money and where does it go? | 罗波戈先生 要多少钱还有汇给谁? |
[20:42] | – Where have you been? – I told you I was going out. | -你去哪了? -我告诉你我出去了 |
[20:45] | – For an hour? – Well, yeah. | -去一小时? -对啊 |
[20:48] | There’s an editorial on sugar subsidies in the International Herald Tribune. | 《国际先驱论坛报》 有篇关于代糖的社论 |
[20:52] | Make sure that Leo gets a copy. | 给里奥一份影本 |
[20:54] | Also, make sure you send me home with a congressional face book. | 还有 记得寄一份国会名录到我家 |
[20:57] | – Why? – I’m still mixing up Cooper and Hooper. | -为什么? -我还是会搞混库柏与胡柏 |
[21:00] | – Why? – Cooper sounds a lot like Hooper. | -为什么? -库柏听起来像胡柏 |
[21:03] | – What does it matter? – I got offered a job tonight. | -那又怎样? -今晚有人提供我一份工作 |
[21:06] | What do you mean? | 什么意思? |
[21:08] | – You know Casey Reed? – No. | -你知道凯西里德? -不 |
[21:10] | – We went to college together. – That’s where you were? | -我们一起上大学 -你就是在跟他谈? |
[21:12] | – Yeah. – At a job interview? | -对 -工作面谈? |
[21:14] | It wasn’t a job interview. We were meeting for a drink. | 不是工作面谈 我们只是见个面喝杯酒 |
[21:17] | – What’s the job? – He has an Internet start-up. | -什么工作? -他刚开办一份网路报 |
[21:21] | – What kind of site? – Commentary. | -哪种网站? -社论 |
[21:24] | He asked me to be issues director. | 他请我担任发行主任 |
[21:26] | – Issues director? – Yeah. | -发行主任? -对 |
[21:28] | – For an Internet start-up. – Dot-coms aren’t dying, just the hype. | -新网站 -网路公司还没倒光,只是唬人 |
[21:32] | – Really? – Yeah. | -真的? -对 |
[21:33] | Sounds like the hype’s alive and well too. | 听起来这种唬人法 不但有效还持久 |
[21:37] | I suppose. | 我猜是吧 |
[21:40] | – You suppose? – Yeah. | -你猜? -是啊 |
[21:43] | You can’t take a job that may not be around a year from now. | 你不能跑去做那种 不到一年就倒掉的工作 |
[21:46] | This job may not be around a year from now. | 这工作可能比一年还短 |
[21:49] | – He offered you money? – Yeah. | -他给很多钱? -对 |
[21:51] | – Well, all I can offer you is a title bump. – Like what? | -我只能给你职称头衔 -例如? |
[21:55] | Senior assistant to the deputy chief of staff for strategic planning. | 参谋部幕僚副局长资深助理 |
[21:59] | – That’s my title now. – Then I can’t offer you a title bump. | -那是我现在的职称 -那我什么也不能提供 |
[22:02] | The sugar subsidy editorial and the face book, okay? | 代糖社论跟名录 |
[22:05] | Cooper and Hooper. | 库柏跟胡柏 |
[22:15] | What do you need? | 你需要什么? |
[22:16] | There’s a thing in this we need to be careful of. | 这里有件事我们必须小心 |
[22:19] | What? | 什么? |
[22:20] | They’ll approve a new scale of peacekeeping assessments… | 他们会通过一个 新的维持和平费用算法 |
[22:23] | …if there’s a cost-sharing mechanism, but it isn’t fully addressed here. | 如果有成本分摊机制 却没有在此说明清楚 |
[22:28] | I should rewrite some of this language before the president goes to the U.N. | 我会在总统去联合国之前 改写一些字眼 |
[22:32] | – What? – Let me ask you something. | -什么事? -让我问你一件事 |
[22:35] | When I said that you were enough to make a good dog break his leash… | 当我说 你足以让乖狗狗脱疆 |
[22:39] | …you understand that men, we’re the dog, right? | 你知道我在说男人 我们是狗,对吧? |
[22:43] | I was the dog. | 我是那只狗 |
[22:44] | – I understood the metaphor. – Okay. | -我懂这种比喻 -好吧 |
[22:46] | The peacekeeping assessment is based on per capita income… | 维持和平费用是根据 每人平均收入计算 |
[22:49] | …with category J countries paying at a 90 percent discount. | 同时目录⒇国家 以90%折扣优惠支付 |
[22:53] | – I meant it to make you feel good. – It did. | -我这么说是称赞你 -我很高兴 |
[22:55] | – I certainly meant it. – I appreciate it. | -我是说真的 -我很感谢 |
[22:57] | – I didn’t mean to demean you. – I need you to listen. | -我不是要贬低你 -我希望你仔细听 |
[23:00] | Category A countries will be overpaying… | 目录A国家将多付费用 |
[23:03] | …to cover the discounts for category J states. | 以涵盖目录⒇国家的折扣 |
[23:06] | So we need to be more specific about category A. It’s gonna be important. | 所以我们必须特别指明目录A 这很重要 |
[23:10] | – I was told that I demeaned you. – You didn’t. | -有人告诉我我在贬低你 -你没有 |
[23:12] | – I was told I did. – By whom? | -有人说我有 -谁? |
[23:14] | – Someone named Celia. – She was mistaken. | -一个叫西莉雅的 -她误会了 |
[23:16] | – You sure? – If I felt demeaned… | -你确定? -如果我觉得被贬低 |
[23:18] | …I’d be among the first to know it. – Terrific. | -我会第一个知道 -很好 |
[23:21] | – Here are my notes. – I’ll rewrite them. | -这是我的笔记 -我会重写 |
[23:23] | – You’ll stick around? – What else would I do on a Friday night? | -你会待在这儿? -不然周五晚上我能做啥? |
[23:26] | I don’t like to pry. | 我不喜欢打探消息 |
[23:30] | America doesn’t have a monopoly on what’s right. | 美国没有判断是非的垄断权 |
[23:33] | Even if we did, I think you’ll have a tough time convincing the Arab world. | 就算有,我可不认为 你可以说服阿拉伯世界 |
[23:37] | Well, we’d like to talk to them about it. | 我们是打算说服他们 |
[23:39] | – That ought to do the trick. – It’s worth a shot. | -这次你可是当真 -值得一试 |
[23:42] | The U.S. Constitution defends religious pluralism. | 美国宪法保护宗教多元化 |
[23:44] | It doesn’t reduce all of Islam to fanaticism. | 但是不会将所有回教徒 贬低成狂热份子 |
[23:47] | Neither does the speech. It calls fanaticism, fanaticism. | 讲稿也不会 这叫狂热主义 |
[23:50] | It’s fanaticism whether we call it that or not, so we’re gonna call it that. | 不论怎么称呼,这就是狂热主义 所以我们就这么叫 |
[23:54] | – We respect all religions, cultures. – To a point. | -我们尊重所有宗教与文化 -到一个程度 |
[23:57] | Yes, to a point. | 对,到一个程度 |
[23:58] | Grotesque oppression isn’t okay just because it’s been institutionalized. | 怪异的压迫是不可接受的 因为被制度化 |
[24:03] | If you ask me, we should’ve gotten into the game three, four decades ago… | 我认为我们在3、40年前 就该开始做这些宣传 |
[24:07] | …but they’re coming for us now. So it’s time to saddle up! | 但是他们现在把我们当敌人 该是上膛的时候了! |
[24:12] | – Toby. – We do know what’s right. | -托比 -我们知道什么是正确的 |
[24:14] | This is why they hate us. | 这是为什么他们恨我们 |
[24:16] | There’s a lot of reasons. | 还有很多原因 |
[24:18] | You know when they’re gonna like us? When we win. | 你知道他们何时会喜欢我们吗? 当我们赢的时候 |
[24:25] | – C.J. – Please tell me what’s happening. | -茜洁 -请告诉我发生什么事 |
[24:28] | Janet, we’re working some back channels now. | 珍妮,我们现在正在 从地下管道沟通 |
[24:30] | Make yourself comfortable. We might have some news in an hour. | 先让自己松一口气 再过一个小时就能得到消息 |
[24:34] | The government will pay money? | 政府会付钱? |
[24:35] | We can’t buy them off directly. We offer to withhold money from their enemies. | 我们不能直接贿赂他们 我们可以停止资助他们的敌人 |
[24:41] | And if that doesn’t work? | 如果没用呢? |
[24:43] | Your husband is employed by a billion-dollar corporation. | 你丈夫受雇于一家 亿万富翁的公司 |
[24:46] | Janet, Mrs. Carlson would pay whatever. | 珍妮,卡森太太愿意付任何钱 |
[24:49] | – Ransom? – Yeah. | -赎款? -对 |
[24:51] | Let’s not get that far right now. Your clothes are wet. | 我们先别谈那么远的事 你衣服都湿了 |
[24:53] | – Can I get you something to wear? – No. No, I’m fine. | -要不要我拿件衣服给你? -不我很好 |
[24:57] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[24:59] | – I should stay here? – Yeah. | -我应该待在这吗? -对 |
[25:05] | Insomnia is a pretty common symptom of depression. | 失眠症是沮丧的正常症状 |
[25:09] | – Are you depressed? – No. | -你感到沮丧吗? -不 |
[25:11] | I didn’t think so. | 我也不认为 |
[25:13] | Some people are predisposed to insomnia in times of acute stress. | 有的人在剧烈压力下 容易患有失眠 |
[25:20] | Are you under any stress? | 你现在有压力吗? |
[25:23] | Is there any stress in your job at all, or…? | 在工作上是否有压力,或? |
[25:31] | But seriously, folks, has there been an unusual amount of stress lately? | 不过说真的 最近是否有异常大量的压力? |
[25:35] | – Well, Congress was investigating me. – Yeah. | -国会正在调查我 -对 |
[25:39] | And I was censured. | 我受到谴责 |
[25:40] | – I had to give the State of the Union. – Yeah. | -我必须发表国情咨文 -对 |
[25:43] | I’m running for re-election. Things are blowing up everywhere. | 我正在参加竞选连任 事情一直发生 |
[25:46] | And I’ve chosen the General Assembly of the U. N… | 我还必须去联合国大会 发表演说 |
[25:49] | …to define a tougher foreign policy. | 发表更严厉的外交政策 |
[25:53] | Not unusually stressful, no. | 不是特别有压力 |
[25:57] | I don’t like the word”stress.” It’s a Madison Avenue word. | 我不喜欢这个字“压力” 这是广告字眼 |
[26:01] | It’s something that can be cured with flavored coffee and bath bubbles. | 这种东西光靠加味咖啡 跟泡泡浴就能解决 |
[26:05] | So you don’t feel stress. | 所以你不觉得有压力 |
[26:07] | I have a job I like, and my family’s healthy. | 我喜欢我的工作 家人都健康 |
[26:10] | Doesn’t mean you’re not entitled to feel stress. | 但并不代表你无权感到压力 |
[26:12] | Stress is for other people. | 压力是别人才有的 |
[26:14] | – What other people? – I’m saying it’s not stress. | -哪些人? -我只是说这不是压力 |
[26:17] | I was feeling stress five nights ago too, and I slept fine. | 我五天前也感到压力 还是睡得很好 |
[26:20] | – So, what happened four nights ago? – I want my money back. | -那五天前发生什么事? -我要退费 |
[26:26] | This is a very unusual conversation. | 这是一段不寻常的对话 |
[26:28] | – I get that a lot. – I’d imagine. | -我常听到这句话 -我想也是 |
[26:31] | – So, what do you charge? – $375 an hour. | -你一小时收多少? -375美元 |
[26:35] | For $375 an hour, you ought to bring your own damn lingerie. | 一小时375美元 你该带你自己的内衣裤来 |
[26:39] | I do. | 我带了 |
[26:41] | There’s a great story about Arthur Miller. | 有个关于亚瑟米勒的好故事 |
[26:43] | Death of a Salesman had just opened the night before. | 《推销员之死》刚上演后 |
[26:46] | He was walking around his old neighborhood in Brooklyn. | 他正在 布鲁克林的老房子附近散步 |
[26:49] | He sees a hot-dog vendor that he went to high school with, and he says: | 他看到一个卖热狗小贩 曾是他高中同学,他说 |
[26:52] | “Hey, Jimmy, it’s me, Arthur Miller.” | “吉米,是我啊,亚瑟米勒” |
[26:55] | The hot-dog vendor says, “How you doing? What you been up to?” | 热狗小贩说 “你好吧?最近在做什么?” |
[26:58] | And Miller says,”I’m… You know, I’m a playwright.” | 米勒说“我 你知道的,我是个剧作家” |
[27:01] | The hot-dog vendor says, “Playwriting, I should’ve gone into that.” | 热狗小贩说 “写剧本,我早该踏入那行” |
[27:05] | $375 an hour. | 一小时375元 |
[27:08] | – Yes, sir. – For what? | -是的,长官 -为了什么? |
[27:10] | I don’t really know. | 我不太知道 |
[27:16] | I can’t sleep. | 我睡不着 |
[27:19] | I can’t sleep. | 我睡不着 |
[27:21] | I’ll be tired, and I’ll lie there. And it doesn’t happen. | 我会累,会躺下 但就是睡不着 |
[27:26] | What happened four nights ago? | 四天前发生什么事? |
[27:28] | I won the lowa caucus. | 我赢了爱荷华政党大会 |
[27:31] | – Anything else? – That’s not enough? | -还有呢? -还不够? |
[27:34] | Mr. President, if you were any other patient… | 总统先生 如果你是别的病人 |
[27:38] | Say what you’d say to any other patient. | 说你会对一般病人说的话 |
[27:42] | I’d say screw around if you want… | 我会说,想整自己请便 |
[27:45] | …but it’s your money. It’s about to be my money… | 但这是你的钱 将要变成我的钱 |
[27:49] | …and I sleep fine. | 而我睡得可香甜 |
[27:56] | I had a conversation with one of my aides… | 我跟一位助理谈过话 |
[27:59] | …after we got back from lowa. | 就在我们从爱荷华回来后 |
[28:01] | He called me on something. | 他说有话跟我说 |
[28:03] | What? | 什么事? |
[28:06] | Well, I guess we talked about a lot of things. | 我们说了很多事 |
[28:08] | Who we think the Republican challenger is gonna be… | 我们认为哪位共和党员 会是我的对手 |
[28:11] | …and incumbency and campaign strategy. | 还有一些关于任期 跟选战策略的事 |
[28:15] | Strategic overview, but the long and short of it is… | 策略性概观 但简单来说就是 |
[28:18] | …my father never liked me at all. | 我父亲从来就不喜欢我 |
[28:28] | Well, at least we’re closer to my area now. | 至少我们现在 比较接近我的领域了 |
[28:32] | Yeah, I thought you’d enjoy that. | 我就知道你可高兴了 |
[29:04] | – Charlie? – Yeah. | -查理? -怎样 |
[29:05] | – Are you in pain? – No. | -你很痛吗? -不 |
[29:08] | – Charlie? – Yes? | -查理? -怎样? |
[29:10] | – Have you been playing basketball? – Yes. | -你刚刚在玩篮球? -对 |
[29:12] | – Did you get beat? – No. | -你被打了? -没 |
[29:14] | – Charlie. Who’d you play? – Doesn’t matter. | -查理,你跟谁玩? -这不重要 |
[29:16] | – Ed? – No. | -艾德? -不是 |
[29:18] | – Larry? – No. | -赖瑞? -不是 |
[29:19] | – Jack? – No. | -杰克? -不是 |
[29:21] | – Did you get beat by Manny? – No. | -你被曼尼揍? -不是 |
[29:23] | – Who? – Deanna. | -谁? -狄安娜 |
[29:26] | – Your sister? – Yes. | -你妹妹? -对 |
[29:28] | Your little sister. | 你的小妹 |
[29:30] | – She plays varsity, Sam. – Girls’ varsity. | -她是大学校队,山姆 -女子校队 |
[29:33] | – She played a finesse game. – Man, you can’t walk. | -她很有技巧 -老兄,你都走不动了 |
[29:36] | Yeah. I don’t know what’s happening to my life. | 是啊,我不知道 我的人生到底怎么回事 |
[29:39] | I can tell you’re down, but let’s talk about me. | 我看得出来你很难过 但先来说说我的事 |
[29:42] | If your sister was getting ready for a night out, and I said: | 如果你妹穿得很漂亮出去约会 而我说 |
[29:46] | “You’re enough to make a good dog break his leash”… | “你能让一只乖狗狗脱疆” |
[29:48] | …would you think I was a cad? – I’d think hick. | -你会觉得我是无赖吗? -听起来很俗 |
[29:52] | – Because of the sentiment or expression? – My sister? | -情绪上或表达方式上? -我妹? |
[29:55] | – I’d beat you. – You and how many Girl Scouts? | -我会揍你 -你跟多少女童子军? |
[29:57] | – If I could stand up… – If it wasn’t your sister. | -要是我站得起来 -如果对象不是你妹 |
[29:59] | – Then you’re fine. – I’m fine. | -那你不会有事 -我不会有事 |
[30:01] | You’re not. This isn’t quite right. | 你有事了,这里不对劲 |
[30:03] | It needs to be clear that the total assessment is down to 25 percent… | 我们必须清楚说明 目录A的总费用必须 |
[30:07] | …for category A. – We’ve been in this fight. | -降到25% -我们已经争论过这个了 |
[30:10] | – But if we pay before… – Hang on. Here she is. | -但如果我们先支付 -等等,她来了 |
[30:12] | Celia, I asked Ainsley, and she said she didn’t mind at all. | 西莉雅,我问过艾金丝莉 她说她一点也不介意 |
[30:16] | – Plus, Charlie said he’s fine with it. – He’s a man. | -而且查理也说他没问题 -他是个男人 |
[30:19] | – Damn right. – Sam. | -说得对 -山姆 |
[30:21] | We won’t take a bath when other countries can afford to take on more. | 如果其他国家可以帮忙付一点 我们就不会赔太多钱了 |
[30:25] | This is important. | 这很重要 |
[30:26] | – It’s important that I’m not a sexist. – And that I’m all man. | -这很重要,我不是性别歧视者 -而且我是真正的男人 |
[30:30] | You’re Celia? He’s not a sexist. | 你是西莉雅?他不是性别歧视者 |
[30:32] | If you’re willing to let sexuality diminish your power. | 如果你愿意让性别 减损你的权力 |
[30:35] | – I’m sorry? – I’m surprised… | -什么? -我很讶异 |
[30:36] | …you’d let it diminish your power. – I don’t know what that means. | -你让性别减损你的权力 -我不知道那是什么意思 |
[30:40] | – I think you do. – You think I’m made out of candy glass. | -我想你知道 -你以为我是花瓶吗? |
[30:43] | If somebody offends you, tell them. But all women don’t have to think alike. | 如果有人冒犯你就告诉他 但并非所有女性都必须思考一致 |
[30:47] | I didn’t say they did. And when someone offended me, I did say so. | 我没有说所有女人都想得一样 如果有人冒犯我,我会说出来 |
[30:51] | I like it when the guys tease me. It’s a show of respect I’m on the team. | 我喜欢男人戏弄我 表示他们尊重我是团体的一份子 |
[30:55] | I don’t mind it when it gets sexual. And you know what? I like sex. | 我不在乎如果带有性暗示 而且你知道吗?我喜欢性 |
[30:59] | I don’t think whatever sexuality I may have diminishes my power. | 我不认为性别会减损我的权力 |
[31:03] | I think it enhances it. | 反而会增加权力 |
[31:05] | – What kind of feminism do you call that? – My kind. | -这是哪门子女性主义? -我的流派 |
[31:08] | It’s called lipstick feminism. | 这叫口红女性主义 |
[31:09] | – I call it stiletto feminism. – Stilettos? | -我称之为高跟鞋女性主义 -高跟鞋? |
[31:12] | – Not in enough trouble already? – I am. | -还嫌麻烦不够? -够了 |
[31:14] | Isn’t the point that Sam wouldn’t have found a way to be chummy… | 这是不是说山姆 不会跟 |
[31:18] | …with a woman who wasn’t appealing? | 不够漂亮的女性 表示友好态度? |
[31:20] | He’d be able to, but that isn’t the point. | 他还是可以 但那不是重点 |
[31:22] | The point is that sexual revolution tends to get in the way of actual revolution. | 重点是性别革命已经开始 阻挡到真正的革命 |
[31:26] | Nonsense issues distract attention away from real ones. | 无意义的问题转移了 人们对真正问题的注意力 |
[31:29] | Pay equity, child care, honest-to-God sexual harassment… | 薪资平等、儿童照顾 货真价实的性骚扰 |
[31:33] | …and in this case, a speech in front of the U.N. General Assembly. | 现在真正的问题则是 在联合国大会面前的演讲 |
[31:38] | So you, 25 percent on the assessments for category A. | 所以,把目录A国家降到25%减免 |
[31:42] | You, I don’t know what your thing is. And you… | 你呢,我不知道你的问题 至于你 |
[31:45] | …stop trying to take the fun out of my day. | 别再剥夺我一天的乐趣了 |
[31:49] | With that, I’m going to get a cupcake. | 因此,我要去吃块蛋糕 |
[31:53] | For the moment, I’ll do what she’s telling me to do. | 现在 我要去做她叫我做的事 |
[31:56] | – We’re at OEOB. – Okay. | -我们在旧行政大楼 -好吧 |
[32:07] | How you doing? | 你好 |
[32:19] | There. | 请用 |
[32:22] | It’s not the best in the world, but it’s hot. | 虽然不是世上最好的 至少是热的 |
[32:25] | I’m sorry, I didn’t ask you your name before. | 抱歉 我还没问你名字 |
[32:28] | Donna. | 唐娜 |
[32:30] | – Really? – Yeah. | -真的? -对 |
[32:32] | Our daughter is Donna. | 我们的女儿也叫唐娜 |
[32:34] | – How old is she? – She’s 7 months. | -她几岁? -7个月 |
[32:37] | And her brother Harry is 3. | 她哥哥亨利3岁 |
[32:39] | Three and a quarter, he’d want me to say that. | 3岁又3个月 他要我一定这么说 |
[32:45] | Do you know how it works with the money? | 你知道赎金怎么流通吗? |
[32:47] | – I don’t. I’m an assistant here. – Bill’s written… | -不知道,我只是个助理 -比尔写过 |
[32:54] | He’s written negative things about the president… | 他写过一些关于总统 负面的事 |
[32:56] | – No. – He and C. J… . | -不 -他跟茜洁 |
[32:58] | Nobody cares about that tonight. | 今晚没人在乎这件事 |
[33:02] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[33:04] | And you wanna know a secret about C.J.? | 想不想知道关于茜洁的秘密? |
[33:06] | But you can’t tell your husband this, really. | 但你绝对不能告诉你丈夫 |
[33:09] | She battles with them every day, but loves reporters. | 虽然她每天跟记者作战 但是她爱记者 |
[33:12] | She’s very protective of them, and it doesn’t matter whether… You know. | 她很保护他们 这并不代表 |
[33:22] | -It took… -Wait. | -我花了 -等等 |
[33:23] | It took three days to get the language through NSC and the NSA. | 我花了三天才让讲稿通过 国家安全局跟安全理事会的审核 |
[33:27] | – It isn’t coming out of the speech. – I didn’t think so. | -讲稿里没有表现出来 -我不认为有 |
[33:30] | – Why are we here for an hour? – Members have drafted an insert. | -我们为什么在这坐一小时? -委员会写了一份追加笔记 |
[33:33] | Will you look at it? | 你看一下好吗? |
[33:36] | Sure. | 当然 |
[33:42] | This would follow your paragraph. | 这段接在你那段后面 |
[33:45] | “Our goal is neither to preach nor proclaim American values. | “我们的目的不是要 宣扬或倡导美国价值 |
[33:49] | We respect our Islamic brothers and sisters. | 我们尊重所有回教兄弟姐妹 |
[33:51] | We have a great deal to learn from the values… | 我们必须大量学习 容忍与信仰的价值 |
[33:54] | …of tolerance and faith that are deeply held throughout the Islamic world.” | 这种价值观 深植在回教世界中” |
[34:02] | You’re saying any resemblance the previous paragraph… | 你是说之前段落里 若出现任何雷同之处 |
[34:05] | …may have had to foreign policy is purely coincidental? | 对外交政策来说 只是纯属巧合? |
[34:08] | – That’s right. – Guess what? | -没错 -你知道吗? |
[34:11] | – What? – Our goal is to proclaim American values. | -什么? -我们的目标就是宣扬美国价值 |
[34:14] | The speech isn’t supposed to be about ideology but about reality. | 这次演讲不应该宣扬意识形态 而是讲求现实 |
[34:18] | The president will decide what the speech is about… | 总统自己会决定 演讲目的是什么 |
[34:21] | …but the reality is the U.S.A. no longer sucks up to reactionaries… | 但现实是 美国已经受不了反动份子 |
[34:26] | …and our staunch allies will know what we mean. | 我们坚定的同盟 听懂我们的意思 |
[34:28] | We don’t have staunch allies in the Arab world, just reluctant ones. | 我们在阿拉伯世界没有 坚定的同盟,他们不是自愿的 |
[34:32] | We have a coalition held together with duct tape. | 我们的同盟是用 胶带绑起来的 |
[34:35] | A coalition without which we cannot fight. | 没有这种同盟 我们不能战斗 |
[34:37] | Nobody’s blowing off the coalition. It’ll be strong. | 没有人要毁掉同盟 它会更强大 |
[34:40] | – When we win? – That’s right. | -当我们赢的时候? -没错 |
[34:42] | What’s Egypt gonna think? Or Pakistan? | 埃及怎么想?巴基斯坦呢? |
[34:44] | Freedom and democracy are coming soon to a theater near them. | 自由与民主 很快就要在戏院上演了 |
[34:48] | So get dressed. | 赶快穿好衣服 |
[34:50] | Toby… | 托比 |
[34:52] | …you guys are on a thing right now, and I’m behind you. | 你们正在宣扬一件事 而我支持你 |
[34:55] | You know I’m behind you. A lot of House Democrats are… | 你知道我支持你 很多民主党众议员 |
[34:58] | – Not enough. – And plenty of Republicans… | -不够 -很多共和党员 |
[35:01] | …but this one moment in time, you have to get off your horse and… . | 但现在这种时候 你们必须放下武器 |
[35:06] | Simply put, be nice to the Arab world. | 冷静,对阿拉伯世界好一点 |
[35:10] | – Be nice? – Yes. | -对他们好? -对 |
[35:13] | Well… | 那么 |
[35:16] | …how about… | 那我们 |
[35:18] | …when we, instead of blowing Iraq back to the 7th century… | 先别急着把伊拉克 炸回到第7世纪 |
[35:22] | …for harboring terrorists and trying to develop nuclear weapons… | 因为他们窝藏恐怖分子 并制造核子武器 |
[35:27] | …we just imposed economic sanctions, and were reviled by the Arab world… | 我们只要采取经济制裁 我们还被阿拉伯世界骂 |
[35:32] | …for not giving them a global charge card and a free-trade treaty? | 因为不发给他们 全球签帐卡跟自由贸易协定? |
[35:36] | How about when we pushed Israel to give up land for peace? | 那我们逼迫以色列 放弃土地以求和平如何? |
[35:40] | How about when we sent American soldiers to protect Saudi Arabia… | 那我们送美国士兵去保护 沙乌地阿拉伯 |
[35:44] | …and the Arab world told us we were desecrating their Holy Land… | 阿拉伯世界却告诉我们 这样会亵渎圣地 |
[35:47] | …we’ll ignore the fact that we were invited? | 却忘记实际上 是他们邀请我们去的 |
[35:50] | How about in the State of the Union? | 国情咨文里说的话呢? |
[35:52] | The president praised Islamic people as faithful and hardworking… | 总统赞扬回教人民 虔诚又工作努力 |
[35:55] | …to be denounced in the Arab press as knowing nothing about Islam. | 却被阿拉伯媒体谴责为 完全不了解回教 |
[35:58] | – None of that is the point. – What is? | -这些都不是重点 -重点是? |
[36:01] | I don’t remember explaining to Italians… | 我不记得 我有跟意大利人解释过 |
[36:03] | …our problem wasn’t with them but with Mussolini. | 我们的问题不是他们 而是墨索里尼 |
[36:05] | Why does the U.S. have to take every Arab country out for an ice-cream cone? | 美国为什么要给所有 阿拉伯国家尝甜头呢? |
[36:09] | They’ll like us when we win! | 当我们赢,他们就会喜欢我们! |
[36:19] | Thousands of Madrases teaching children nothing, nothing, nothing… | 上千个回教老师 什么也不教孩子 |
[36:24] | …but the Koran and to hate America. Who do we see about that? | 只教可兰经跟恨美国 我们该跟谁谈? |
[36:32] | Do I wanna preach America? Judeo-Christianity? No. | 我想宣扬美国价值? 犹太基督教教义?不 |
[36:38] | If their religion forbids them from playing the trumpet, so be it. | 如果他们的宗教 不准他们吹喇叭,那就算了 |
[36:43] | But I want those kids to look at a globe. | 但我要这些孩子们 看到一个地球 |
[36:49] | Be exposed to social sciences, history… | 学到社会科学、历史 |
[36:53] | …some literature. | 还有一些文学 |
[37:01] | They’ll like us when we win. | 当我们赢,他们就会喜欢我们 |
[37:12] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[37:22] | Let me take another look at the softer language. | 让我看看另一份 比较软性的说法 |
[37:52] | – How’s she doing? – She was asking how the money works. | -她还好吧? -她在问赎金怎么流通 |
[37:56] | It’s not money. Actually, it’s a promise to honor international sanctions… | 不是钱,实际上 我们会采取国际制裁 |
[38:00] | …against the export of something called “coltan” by the Rwandan army. | 阻止卢安达军队出口一种 叫做“钶钽”的矿物 |
[38:04] | – What’s coltan? – A mineral they have in the Congo. | -什么是钶钽? -一种在刚果使用的矿物 |
[38:07] | Refined, it’s a necessary component of cell phones and pagers. | 精练的钶钽是手机 跟传呼机的必须元素 |
[38:10] | And the Rwandans and Ugandans smuggle it illegally. | 卢安达与乌干达 正在非法走私 |
[38:14] | – Listen. – What do you know? | -听着 -你知道什么了? |
[38:16] | Akin Wamba, who’s the Mai Mai rebel commander… | 玛依玛依叛军领袖阿金万巴 |
[38:19] | …sent word through a crew that was filming in Goma. | 透过一个在葛马拍摄的小组 传话过来 |
[38:22] | – Oh, God. – Yeah. | -天哪 -是啊 |
[38:24] | He was killed in an ambush. | 他在一次伏击中被杀 |
[38:28] | Embassy Kinshasa’s gonna get the body. | 金夏沙大使馆会去领尸体 |
[39:10] | It can’t be easy being you. | 要当你可不容易 |
[39:13] | – I told you… – I don’t mean the job. I meant… | -我告诉你 -我不是指总统,我是指 |
[39:17] | …you know, being inside your head. | 你的脑袋里 |
[39:20] | What’s wrong with my head? | 我的脑袋怎么了? |
[39:23] | – I don’t know. – Of course not. | -我不知道 -当然不可能知道 |
[39:25] | That would be $385 an hour. | 不然你就能赚385美元 |
[39:28] | They keep moving the goal posts on you, don’t they? | 你对自己总是期望很高 对吧? |
[39:31] | Get A’s, good college, Latin honors… | 拿100分、进好学校 |
[39:35] | …get into the London School of Economics… | 进伦敦经济学院 |
[39:38] | …get a good teaching job, lvy League school, tenure. | 当教授 进长春藤学校,终生教职 |
[39:41] | Now you got to publish. Now you gotta go to Stockholm. | 现在你要发表新书 要去斯德哥尔摩 |
[39:45] | It’s not good for a person to keep setting goals? | 设定目标难道不是好事? |
[39:48] | It probably is, but it’s tricky for somebody… | 可能是 但对一些还在试着 |
[39:50] | …who’s still trying to get his father to stop hitting him. | 说服爸爸别再打他的人来说 这有点难解释 |
[39:53] | Well, I’m told that most men lead lives of quiet desperation. | 我听说大部分的人 都活在一定程度的企望下 |
[39:58] | Yeah, but that’s most men. That’s not you. | 但那是大部分的人 不是你 |
[40:01] | That’s the other people, the ones who feel stress. | 那些人就是所谓 能感受到压力的人 |
[40:05] | – You’re destined for something else. – I have abilities. | -你注定要做其他事 -我有能力 |
[40:08] | And now you have an opportunity to use them. | 而现在你有机会使用 |
[40:11] | I think I have. | 我想我有 |
[40:14] | That room I passed down the hall on the left, it’s got a name, right? | 我走过走廊时经过一个房间 好像有个名字对吧? |
[40:19] | I think you’re talking about the Lincoln Bedroom. | 我想你说的是林肯��室 |
[40:23] | This is a hell of a curve you get graded on now. | 所以你现在算是达到 人生的最高分了 |
[40:26] | Lincoln freed the slaves and won the Civil War.”Thank you. Next. | 林肯解放奴隶并打赢南北内战 “谢谢,下一位 |
[40:32] | And what will you be singing for us today, Mr. Bartlet?” | 那你今天要唱什么调呢 巴特勒先生?” |
[40:36] | “Well, we’ve had six straight quarters of economic growth.” | “我们已经持续六季的 经济成长” |
[40:39] | That’s not easy. | 那可不简单 |
[40:41] | – Okay. – It’s not easy. | -好吧 -这很不简单 |
[40:43] | – I believe you. – I think I’ve made tough choices. | -我相信你 -我相信我做了艰难的决定 |
[40:46] | I think Lincoln… | 我想林肯 |
[40:49] | …did what he thought was right even though it meant losing half the country. | 做了他认为正确的事 即使要失去半个国家 |
[40:54] | I think you don’t do what you think is right… | 我想如果你会失去 密西根的选票 |
[40:57] | …if it means losing Michigan’s electoral votes. | 你就不会做你认为正确的事 |
[41:02] | You don’t know anything. | 你什么都不懂 |
[41:05] | I’ll be the first to admit that. | 我会是第一个承认的 |
[41:07] | I’m not trying to get my father to like me. | 我不是要试着 要让我父亲喜欢我 |
[41:10] | Good, because it’s never, never gonna happen. | 很好 因为那永远不会发生 |
[41:15] | – Look… – We’re done for the night. | -听着 -今晚就到此结束 |
[41:19] | – What? – We’ve been here for two hours. | -什么? -我们已经在这坐了两小时 |
[41:22] | It was a double session. We’re done for the night. | 这样就算两节了 今晚就到此结束 |
[41:25] | Stanley, I hate to put it this way, but I’m me and you’re you… | 史坦利,我不喜欢这么说话 但我是我你是你 |
[41:30] | …and we’re done when I say we’re done. | 当我说结束才算结束 |
[41:32] | No. | 不 |
[41:37] | I think you could use some assistance right now, sir. | 我想你可以寻求其他协助 长官 |
[41:41] | Use me, don’t use me, but all I can offer you is this: | 用我不用我都行 但我只能给你一样东西 |
[41:46] | I’ll be the only person in the world other than your family… | 我是这世上除了你家人外 |
[41:51] | …who doesn’t care that you’re the president. | 唯一不在乎你是总统的人 |
[41:56] | Our time is up. | 我们时间到了 |