时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | Your father used to hit you, didn’t he? He didn’t like you. | 你父亲曾经揍过你,对吧? 他不喜欢你 |
[00:10] | – Why are we talking about this? – Maybe if you get enough votes… | -我们为什么要谈这件事? -也许如果你得到足够选票 |
[00:13] | …win one more election, your father… | 再赢得一次选战 你的父亲 |
[00:15] | You have stepped way over the line, and any other president… | 你已经超出界线 换了任何一位总统 |
[00:19] | …would have your ass on the sidewalk right now. | 你早就被踢出去了 |
[00:21] | I’m not trying to get my father to like me. | 我并不是要让我爸喜欢我 |
[00:24] | Good, because it’s never, never gonna happen. | 很好,因为那永远不会发生 |
[00:28] | – Look… – We’re done for the night. | -听着 -今晚就到此结束 |
[00:30] | I hate to put it this way, but we’re done when I say we’re done. | 我不喜欢这么说话 但我说结束才算结束 |
[00:33] | I think you could use some assistance right now. | 我想你现在需要一些协助 剧名:哈兹菲德镇投票 (安德鲁空军基地 美东标准时间晚上8:40) |
[00:56] | – Welcome home. – Mr. President. | -欢迎回来 -总统先生 |
[00:58] | Give me two minutes. | 给我两分钟 |
[01:00] | – Thank you. What’d I miss? – Any further follow-up after New Delhi? | -谢谢,我错过什么? -新德里的追踪报导? |
[01:03] | – Sorry? – Any follow-up after New Delhi? | -什么? -新德里的追踪报导? |
[01:05] | We spoke about Kashmir. She assured me they’re working… | 我们谈到喀什米尔羊毛 她保证会寻求 |
[01:08] | …towards a peaceful resolution. We also had a spirited conversation about chess. | 和平解决方法 还有一段关于下棋的精神谈话 |
[01:13] | – Prime minister plays chess? – Chess was invented in India… | -总理下棋? -棋术源自于印度 |
[01:16] | …somewhere around 600 A.D. A gigantic chessboard… | 约在西元600年 |
[01:19] | …was constructed at Fatehpur Sikri, which was the capital a long time ago… | 旧首都法达波尔新克里 曾发现一座巨大的棋盘 |
[01:23] | …and human figures were used as chess pieces and moved at the emperor’s will. | 使用真人做为棋子 依照君王的指令移动 |
[01:28] | What I like to call the good old days. | 我所谓的美好旧时光 |
[01:32] | C.J. | 茜洁 |
[01:35] | – C.J.? – Hey, Leo. | -茜洁? -里奥 |
[01:37] | What’s he doing? | 他情形如何? |
[01:39] | -“The History of Chess” by Josiah Bartlet. – Get him in the car. | -杰德巴特勒的“棋史”演说 -叫他进车里 |
[01:44] | – What’s going on? – Get the press back here too. | -怎么了? -叫媒体也回来 |
[01:46] | – What’s going on? – China. | -怎么了? -中国 |
[01:48] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[01:50] | …and sandalwood. And a lacquered classic Stanton in boxwood. | 还有檀香木 跟一个斯坦顿漆的古典木盒 |
[01:53] | – Thank you, everybody. – Thank you, Mr. President. | -谢谢各位 -谢谢,总统先生 |
[01:56] | Hey, don’t forget, Hartsfield votes in three hours and 21 minutes. | 别忘了,哈兹菲德镇 再过3小时21分就要投票 |
[01:59] | We’re gonna find out who the next president is. | 我们很快就会知道 谁是下一任总统 |
[02:03] | I’m gonna give some of the chess sets as gifts. Did you see them? | 我要送一些棋盘跟棋子当礼物 你看到了吗? |
[02:06] | – Leo needs you in the car. – Did he say? | -里奥要你回车里 -他说什么? |
[02:08] | China. | 中国 |
[02:17] | – Yeah? – Good evening, Mr. President. | -喂? -晚安,总统先生 |
[02:19] | – What’s going on? – Intel says Taiwan’s getting ready… | -怎么了? -情报单位说台湾准备好 |
[02:22] | …to test-fire three Patriots. – Where? | -要测试三枚爱国者飞弹 -在哪里? |
[02:25] | A base on an island in the Pingdong region. | 屏东地区某小岛的军事基地 |
[02:27] | – What’s China’s reaction? – An acceleration… | -中国的反应如何? -准备进行 |
[02:29] | …of integrated military exercises. | 整合军事演习 |
[02:31] | -Big? – Yeah. | -大规模? -对 |
[02:33] | – How big? – Unprecedented. | -多大? -前所未有 |
[02:35] | Should we tell Taiwan not to test the missiles? | 我们该告诉台湾别测试飞弹吗? |
[02:38] | -Sir? – No. | -长官? -不 |
[02:40] | We could try, but they’re not gonna go for it. | 我们可以试试 但他们不会听 |
[02:43] | – They might. – What are they asking for? | -他们可能会 -要求是什么? |
[02:45] | They want us to put some hardware in the Taiwan Strait. | 他们要我们在台湾海峡 部署一些基地 |
[02:48] | – Tonight? -Yes, sir. | -今晚? -是,长官 |
[02:50] | I’m assuming Nancy and Fitzwallace and the chiefs… | 我猜南西跟费兹华利斯 跟一些部长 |
[02:53] | – Everyone concurs, Mr. President. – You? | -大家都同意,总统先生 -你呢? |
[02:55] | Yes, sir. | 是,长官 |
[02:59] | We have a pretty good sense of the worst-case scenario? | 我们大概知道 最糟糕的情形了吗? |
[03:02] | We end up sending the largest U.S. naval armada to Southeast Asia… | 我们可能派遣自越战以来 最庞大的美国海军舰队 |
[03:06] | …since the end of Vietnam. – That sounds right. | -到东南亚 -没错 |
[03:12] | Sir? | 长官? |
[03:14] | – All right, we know the play. – We’re gonna assemble in the Sit Room. | -好吧,我们知道怎么演这场戏 -我们会在情势研究室集合 |
[03:19] | She gave me these beautiful chess sets. | 她给我一些漂亮的棋盘组 |
[03:22] | -The prime minister? – Yeah. | -总理? -对 |
[03:25] | I’m on my way. | 我要回去了 |
[03:26] | Let Fitzwallace know I’m gonna order the 7th Fleet into the Taiwan Strait. | 通知费兹华利斯 我要派第7舰队进驻台湾海峡 |
[03:30] | -Yes, sir. – Let’s go. | -是,长官 -走吧 (美利坚合众国) 片名:白宫风云 主演:罗伯洛 主演:杜希尔 主演:艾莉森詹尼 主演:珍妮尔摩隆奈 主演:里察薛福 主演:约翰史宾塞 主演:布雷迪威佛德 主演:马丁辛 片名:白宫风云 |
[04:40] | Ten-hut! | 起立! |
[04:42] | – Good evening. | – Good evening. -晚安 -晚安 |
[04:43] | Good evening, Mr. President. | 晚安,总统先生 |
[04:45] | Listen, they start voting in Hartsfield’s Landing in about two and a half hours… | 听着,再过两个半小时 他们就要在哈兹菲德投票 |
[04:49] | …so this may end up being somebody else’s problem. | 所以这件事可能会落到 下一个总统手上 |
[04:53] | The scale of the war games is unprecedented? | 这次的演习规模 是前所未有的? |
[04:55] | It’s a simulation of an invasion of the Penghu Islands. | 模拟进攻澎湖岛 |
[04:58] | It includes battle-stance intervention by foreign aircraft carriers. | 包括外国军机运输舰介入战争 |
[05:02] | – What’s the Taiwanese reaction? – Armed forces are on heightened alert. | -台湾的反应是什么? -三军戒备提高至最高警戒 |
[05:05] | The war minister asked for an emergency meeting. | 国防部长要求紧急会议 |
[05:08] | – What about equipment movement? – Keyhole shows 10 AH-1 W helicopters. | -设备移防呢? -简报显示有十架AH1W直升机 |
[05:12] | – Super Cobras? – On the tarmac at Ching Chuan Kang. | -超级眼镜蛇? -位于清泉岗停机坪 |
[05:15] | – The Nimitz? – About two hours away. | -尼米兹号? -大约两小时距离外 |
[05:17] | – The Independence? – Also two hours away. | -独立号? -也是两小时距离外 |
[05:19] | What else can be moved in? | 还有什么可以派过去? |
[05:21] | There’s a battle-carrier group, the Carl Vinson, on its way to the Arabian Gulf. | 有组战舰部队卡尔文森号 正前往阿拉伯湾 |
[05:25] | Let me backtrack a second. What’s C.J. facing in the press room right now? | 先让我回溯一下 茜洁现在在记者室做什么? |
[05:29] | Xinhua’s reporting the live-fire exercises. | 新华社正在报告实况演习 |
[05:32] | Can the Carl Vinson make a detour into the South China Sea? | 卡尔文森号战舰可以绕道 进入南中国海吗? |
[05:35] | – We think that’s our next move. – Sir? | -我们认为这是下一步 -长官? |
[05:39] | – That’s our next move. – After that? | -那是我们的下一步 -然后呢? |
[05:42] | After our next move comes their next move. | 我们的下一步后 该是他们的下一步 |
[05:45] | – C.J.? – Katie. | -茜洁? -凯蒂 |
[05:46] | Will the president ask the Taiwanese to hold off testing the Patriots? | 总统会要求台湾 暂停测试爱国者飞弹吗? |
[05:49] | No. It’s important to remember that Patriot missiles are defensive equipment… | 不会,我们必须提醒各位 爱国者飞弹是防御性武器 |
[05:53] | …used only in the event of an attack. | 只能用来抵御攻击 |
[05:55] | But it’s the testing that’s provoking the Chinese war games. | 但这次的测试会引发 中国的战事 |
[05:58] | I’m not in a position to say what’s provoking the war games. Chris? | 我没有立场说明 什么事件会引发战事,克里斯? |
[06:02] | If the Chinese attack Taiwan… | 如果中国攻击台湾 |
[06:04] | …we’re obligated to defend them under the ’79 Act? | 制片:保罗瑞福 我们是否有义务依照 79年法案保卫他们? |
[06:06] | Actually, under the ’79 Act, we agree to provide Taiwan with sufficient capability… | 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 实际上,根据79年法案 我们同意提供台湾足够的能力 |
[06:11] | …to defend itself, but we’re getting way ahead. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 保卫自己 但我们在这已经说太多了 |
[06:13] | There’s a Pentagon briefing at 10 a.m. | 五角大厦会在10点做简报 |
[06:15] | Will the president monitor the situation all night? | 总统是否会整晚监控情势? |
[06:17] | He’ll be monitoring the situation in the China Sea… | 他会监控中国海情势 |
[06:20] | …as well as Hartsfield’s Landing. | 还有哈兹菲德镇 |
[06:22] | Any of the new people not know about Hartsfield’s Landing? | 还有谁不知道哈兹菲德的? |
[06:25] | Hartsfield’s Landing is a town in New Hampshire, population 63. | 哈兹菲德镇是一个位于 新罕布夏的小镇,人口63人 |
[06:30] | While the rest of New Hampshire goes to the polls at 8 a. M… | 制片:李维林威尔斯 当其他新罕布夏居民 在早上8点去投票时 |
[06:33] | …the 42 registered voters of Hartsfield vote at one minute past midnight… | 42位登记的哈兹菲德选民 必须在半夜过一分钟投票 编剧:艾伦索金 |
[06:38] | …or a little over two hours from now. Hartsfield has predicted the winner… | 也就是大约两小时后 哈兹菲德能准确预测 导演:文森米夏诺 |
[06:42] | …in every presidential election since William Howard Taft… | 自威廉霍华塔夫特以来 每一次的总统选举 |
[06:45] | …who, by the way, founded the seventh-inning stretch… | 顺便说一下 他是七局上半的创始人 |
[06:48] | …wherein we sing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame”… | 也就是当我们唱 “带我去看球赛” |
[06:50] | …written by Jack Norworth and Albert von Tilzer. | 由杰克诺威斯跟 艾柏特凡提尔兹谱曲 |
[06:53] | All part of the service at Claudia’s House of Useless Knowledge. | 以上资讯服务由 茜洁没用知识局提供 |
[06:56] | – That’s a full lid. Thank you very much. – Thanks, C.J. | -今天就到此结束,谢谢 -谢谢,茜洁 |
[06:59] | Albert von Tilzer? | 艾柏特凡提尔兹? |
[07:01] | Ironically, neither of them had been to a major-league baseball game. | 讽刺的是 他们两个都没打进大联盟 |
[07:04] | The other song they were famous for? | 他们还有其他成名曲吗? |
[07:06] | – I didn’t even know they were famous. -“Shine On, Harvest Moon.” Charlie. | -我根本不知道他们有名 -“闪耀吧,收获之月” ,查理 |
[07:11] | – What are those? – I’m distributing chess sets. | -这是什么? -我正在发送棋盘 |
[07:13] | I need the president’s private schedule. | 我需要总统的私人行程 |
[07:15] | – Didn’t you get one? – I need another. | -你不是有了? -我需要另一个 |
[07:17] | – You gotta sign it out. – I’m sorry? | -你必须签出 -什么? |
[07:19] | Sign it out and sign it back in. It can’t be photocopied or leave the building. | 签出再签回 不准影印或拿出大楼 |
[07:23] | – What is this? – For the third time in two months… | -怎么回事? -两个月以来第三次 |
[07:26] | …a copy wound up in the press room. I’ve gotta crack down. | 影本出现在媒体室 我快崩溃了 |
[07:31] | – I’ve gotta sign it out? – And sign it back in. | -我得签出? -再签回 |
[07:34] | – I’m the press secretary. – You do a nice job. | -我是媒体部主任 -你做得很好 |
[07:36] | – Give me the damn schedule. – Sign it out and sign it back in. | -给我他妈的行程 -签出再签回 |
[07:43] | The anal-retentive side of you is not gonna help you get girls. | 你吹毛求疵的那一面 一点也不吸引女孩子 |
[07:48] | I do okay. | 我觉得还好 |
[07:57] | Donna! | 唐娜! |
[08:04] | – Donna! – Yeah? | -唐娜! -怎样? |
[08:08] | – You know… – I was coming. | -你知道 -我正要赶来 |
[08:09] | – You were taking your time. – I don’t have warp speed. | -你太慢了 -我又不是飞毛腿 |
[08:12] | Do you remember Jennifer Flender… | 你还记得珍妮佛弗兰德 |
[08:15] | …the daughter of the mom and pop who had the tackle shop? | 那家开钓具店人家的女儿? |
[08:18] | Mackey and Roberta Flender. The Flenders. | 麦基与罗贝塔弗兰德 弗兰德家族 |
[08:20] | The daughter just e-mailed me and told me her parents are voting for Ritchie. | 他们女儿刚刚寄电子邮件给我 告诉我她父母要投给李奇 |
[08:24] | – Why is she e-mailing you? – She e-mails me. | -她为什么要寄邮件给你? -她就是寄了 |
[08:26] | – Why? – She’s got a little crush on me. | -为什么? -她有点煞到我 |
[08:28] | You didn’t sleep with her, did you? | 你没跟她上床吧? |
[08:30] | – She’s 20 years old. – Mackey has got guns… | -她才20岁 -麦基有枪 |
[08:32] | …and doesn’t like northerners. – He lives in New Hampshire. | -而且不喜欢北方佬 -他住在新罕布夏 |
[08:35] | It doesn’t matter. Mom and Pop are voting for Ritchie in Hartsfield’s Landing. | 那也没差 反正两老要在哈兹菲德投给李奇 |
[08:39] | – You gotta talk to them. – What? | -你得跟他们谈谈 -什么? |
[08:41] | – Two votes could be the margin. – It’s Hartsfield’s Landing. | -两票可能是关键 -那只是哈兹菲德小镇 |
[08:44] | – I thought we were kidding with this. – We’re not. | -我以为大家都拿它当玩笑 -我们没有 |
[08:47] | – It’s 42 votes. – Cast at 12:01 and counted at 12:07. | -只有42票 -十二点一分投票,十二点七分计票 |
[08:51] | The rest of New Hampshire doesn’t come in until 9 p.m. | 其他新罕布夏居民 要到晚上9点才结束计票 |
[08:54] | That’s 21 hours of the news having nothing to report… | 也就是说 有21小时没新闻好报 |
[08:57] | …but the winner in Hartsfield’s Landing. I want it to be us. | 只剩下哈兹菲德选出的赢家 我希望是我们 |
[09:00] | – You have to talk to the Benders. – The Flenders. Why me? | -你必须跟班德家族谈 -弗兰德,为什么是我? |
[09:04] | They liked you. They took you in, fed you. | 他们喜欢你 他们请你进屋,请你吃饭 |
[09:06] | – You make me sound pathetic. – You were pathetic… | -你让我觉得自己好可悲 -你是很可悲 |
[09:09] | …and the Fenders fed you. | 凡德就会请你吃饭 |
[09:11] | – Flenders. – See, you remember. | -弗兰德 -看吧,你还记得 |
[09:12] | – There’s a connection. – Josh… | -这是有关联的 -乔西 |
[09:14] | – Politics in New Hampshire is what? – Retail. | -新罕布夏的政治是什么? -零售业 |
[09:17] | Thank you. Get on the phone… | 谢谢,打电话 |
[09:19] | …find out what their problem is and solve it. | 找出他们的问题 然后解决掉 |
[09:21] | – I can’t get on this phone. – Why? | -我没办法用电话 -为什么? |
[09:23] | It’s a government phone. I can’t use it to intimidate voters. | 这是政府电话 我不能用它来亲近选民 |
[09:26] | Sad but true. Know what I’m thinking? | 悲哀却真实 你知道我在想什么吗? |
[09:29] | – Yes. – A cell phone, Lafayette Park and a coat. | -知道 -手机,拉法叶公园跟一件外套 |
[09:31] | – I’m taking yours. – It’s a good coat. | -我要拿你的外套 -那是件好外套 |
[09:33] | – I’m taking it. – No problem. | -我要拿 -没问题 |
[09:57] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[10:00] | – Mr. President, welcome back. – Thank you. How are you? | -总统先生,欢迎回来 -谢谢,你好吗? |
[10:03] | I’m fine, sir. I was just… . | 我很好,长官,我只是 |
[10:05] | – Someone gave me this chess set. – Yeah, it’s from me. | -有人送我棋盘 -对,是我送的 |
[10:08] | – You’re kidding? – No. | -你开玩笑? -没 |
[10:10] | The prime minister gave me a few sets, and I wanted to give them as gifts. | 总理送我几套棋组 我想送出去当礼物 |
[10:14] | – I’m really overwhelmed. – The State of the Union… | -我真是受宠若经 -国情咨文 |
[10:17] | …was really something else. – Thank you again, sir. | -写得非常好 -谢谢,长官 |
[10:20] | This one’s a lotus set in hand-carved camel bone. | 这是以手工雕刻的 骆鸵骨莲花座 |
[10:23] | She told me it came from a descendent of Tansen. You know who that was? | 她告诉我这来自一位坦森的后代 你知道那是谁吗? |
[10:28] | – No. – Greatest musician of his time. | -不 -那时代最伟大的音乐家 |
[10:30] | – What time was that? – Sixteenth century. | -哪个时代? -16世纪 |
[10:32] | He’d go to the human chess matches in the Mogul court of Emperor Akbar… | 他曾在蒙兀儿帝国宫廷 以真人棋子跟国王下棋 |
[10:35] | …and that began the family obsession with the game. | 从此以后 整个家族都狂热于棋术 |
[10:38] | – You wanna play? – You? | -你想玩吗? -跟你? |
[10:40] | – Yeah. – I’ll get killed. | -对 -你会被宰 |
[10:42] | – Why? – You’re a grand wizard… | -为什么? -你是个伟大的巫师 |
[10:44] | …or a grand master. – I’m none of those. | -或伟大的大师 -我什么也不是 |
[10:46] | I’m just grand. | 我只是伟大 |
[10:50] | You’re white, but don’t ever touch me. | 你是白子 但是不准再碰我 |
[10:52] | – I’m sorry, sir. – I was kidding. | -抱歉,长官 -我开玩笑的 |
[11:15] | The Fibonacci opening. Very interesting. | 以斐波那契开盘 真有趣 |
[11:18] | You’re gonna mess with me the whole time, right? | 你整场都会这样打扰我 对吧? |
[11:20] | Yeah. | 对 |
[11:23] | – So India went well. – Yeah. | -印度之行还不错 -对 |
[11:25] | Standing ovation on the floor of the stock exchange. | 在股票交易所得到起立鼓掌 |
[11:28] | The billion dollars from the Export-lmport Bank didn’t hurt. | 进出口银行出的几十亿帮了忙 |
[11:31] | – I suppose. – Three billion in foreign investment… | -我想也是 -30亿的外国投资 |
[11:34] | …to the 44 billion China gets. You’re an American. | 跟送440亿给中国 你是个美国人 |
[11:37] | – Where would you put your money? – India. | -你会把钱放在哪? -印度 |
[11:39] | – Why? – They’re democratic… | -为什么? -他们是民主国家 |
[11:41] | …English-speaking. There’s the rule of law, better sense of humor. | 又说英文,守法律 幽默感较佳 |
[11:46] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[11:50] | You mind my asking how bad it’s getting out there tonight? | 我可以问你 今晚在情势研究室情形有多糟吗? |
[11:53] | It’s bad. | 很糟 |
[11:55] | If Kashmir is the most dangerous place on Earth… | 如果喀什米尔是世上 最危险的地方 |
[11:57] | …the second most dangerous is the Taiwan Strait. | 第二危险的地方 就是台湾海峡 |
[12:01] | Taiwan’s got 400,000 troops on high alert. | 台湾的40万军队 正高度戒备中 |
[12:03] | The size of China’s war games is unprecedented. | 中国的演习是前所未有的规模 |
[12:06] | Thought about asking Taiwan to call off the tests? | 想过要求台湾暂停测试吗? |
[12:09] | – You think I should? – No, sir. | -你认为我应该? -不,长官 |
[12:10] | – Why not? – Because China’s… | -为什么? -因为中国 |
[12:12] | …got 300 missiles pointed at Taiwan. Why shouldn’t they defend themselves? | 有3百颗飞弹对准台湾 他们为什么不该防卫自己? |
[12:16] | – That’s right. Plus, guess what. – What? | -没错,而且还有件事 -什么? |
[12:19] | The Patriot tests aren’t why China’s showing its teeth. | 爱国者飞弹测试不是 中国显示武力的原因 |
[12:23] | – They’re not? – No. | -不是? -对 |
[12:24] | – Why are they? – You ready to come inside? | -为什么? -你准备好了吗? |
[12:28] | Yes, sir. | 是,长官 |
[12:29] | Taiwan’s gonna announce that they’re holding their first free elections. | 台湾会宣布 他们将首次举行自由选举 |
[12:34] | You’re kidding. | 你开玩笑 |
[12:37] | Defend your queen. | 保护你的皇后 |
[12:48] | – Mr. Ambassador, please. – Excuse me, please. | -大使先生,拜托 -抱歉,拜托 |
[12:50] | Sir, there is a purpose to this meeting. | 长官,此次会议是有目的的 |
[12:53] | Yes, you have discovered that calling us reckless is not working. | 是的,你们发现 说我们有欠考虑是没有用的 |
[12:56] | Taiwan is a geostrategic center for commerce. It sits on an oil lane for Asia… | 台湾是贸易的海峡地理中心 是亚洲的石油运输 |
[13:00] | – Excuse me. – Unnecessarily militarizing… | -抱歉 -无必要的武装 |
[13:02] | – Madam. – Unnecessarily militarizing… | -女士 -无必要的武装化 |
[13:04] | …on such a large scale is, in fact, reckless. | 又在如此大的规模下 的确有欠考虑 |
[13:07] | Taiwan is a part of China and is not a protectorate of the United States. | 台湾是中国的一部分 并不受美国保护 |
[13:12] | And it is your actions… | 而且你们的行为 |
[13:14] | …that are an encroachment on Chinese sovereignty… | 已经侵犯到中国主权 |
[13:16] | …and interference in internal affairs. | 并干涉到内部事务 |
[13:19] | Our battle-carrier groups are in international waters. | 我们的战舰部队 驻防在国际水域 |
[13:22] | Are you claiming jurisdiction? | 你们在宣布管辖权吗? |
[13:25] | – No. – Then let’s settle down. | -不是 -那就冷静下来 |
[13:27] | – Sir, l… | -上海公报 -长官,我 |
[13:30] | – Says that there is but one China… | -公报 -说只有一个中国 |
[13:33] | …and Taiwan is a part of China. The U.S. government doesn’t challenge that. | 台湾是中国的一部分 美国政府并不想挑战该公报 |
[13:37] | The U.S. is interested in a peaceful settlement… | 美国只想寻求台湾问题的 |
[13:39] | …of the Taiwan question by the Chinese themselves. | 和平解决方式 由中国人自己解决 |
[13:42] | A settlement that is not best facilitated by the U.S. selling arms to Taiwan. | 美国贩卖武器给台湾 是无法促进解决方式 |
[13:47] | That’s not on the table in this meeting. | 那不在今天讨论范围内 |
[13:49] | This year’s arm sale was the biggest in a decade. | 今年的军售是十年来 规模最大的 |
[13:51] | Four Kidd-class destroyers, 12 anti-submarine P-3 Orions. | 四艘纪德级驱逐舰 12艘P3反潜机 |
[13:54] | – You approved the AMRAAMs. – That’s not on the table. | -你们还通过先进中程空空导弹 -那不在今天会议内 |
[13:57] | I’ve said what was to be said. | 我已经说完该说的话 |
[14:00] | Taiwan’s reunification with the mainland is the will of all Chinese people. | 台湾与中国统一 是全中国人民的愿望 |
[14:04] | And just so we understand each other… | 为了我们可了解彼此 |
[14:07] | …the moment that we see them testing their U.S. -built Patriots… | 当你看到 台湾测试美国制的爱国者飞弹 |
[14:10] | …is the moment that you will see us testing our CSS-6 missiles. | 你们也会看到 我们测试自己的CSS6飞弹 |
[14:18] | – How’d it go? – They’re not voting for us. | -事情如何? -他们不会投给我们 |
[14:20] | – Why? – Because the old Perrin Pulp Mill… | -为什么? -因为老白林纸浆磨坊 |
[14:22] | …is still idle after five years. | 已经停工5年了 |
[14:24] | – Why is it our fault? – Instead of protecting American jobs… | -那为什么是我们的错? -不但没保护美国工作 |
[14:27] | …we’re letting Canadian importers take their market share. | 我们还让加拿大进口纸浆 夺走我们的市占率 |
[14:30] | It’s called free trade. | 那就是自由贸易 |
[14:32] | It’s why the Flenders aren’t voting for us. | 也就是弗兰德不投给我们的原因 |
[14:34] | Did you talk up our accomplishments? | 你有说到我们的成就吗? |
[14:36] | – I couldn’t think of them. – Donna. | -我想不到一个 -唐娜 |
[14:37] | They don’t care. They care about the market… | 他们不在乎 他们只在乎 |
[14:40] | …for away-from-home paper towels and tissue products. | 纸巾跟面纸产品的 外销市场 |
[14:43] | – Can I give them a commitment? – A commitment? | -我可以给他们承诺吗? -承诺? |
[14:45] | – Yes. – No! You… | -对 -不!你 |
[14:47] | We’re not making a trade commitment to the Flenders. | 你不能给弗兰德家族 任何贸易承诺 |
[14:50] | We’re not for protectionism, and neither are the Republicans. | 我们不是保护主义 共和党员也不是 |
[14:53] | The president’s been good for the economy overall. | 总统一直在提升总体经济 |
[14:56] | – They say he’s been bad. – We’re for affordable health care. | -他们说他做得不好 -为了提供合理的健保费 |
[14:59] | What’s affordable if you lost your job at the mill? | 如果你失去磨坊的工作 又怎么付得起? |
[15:01] | – The Flenders don’t work at the mill. – Nobody works in the mill. | -弗兰德不在磨坊工作 -没人在磨坊工作 |
[15:05] | All right. If Canada’s making cheaper pulp, New Hampshire has to diversify. | 好吧,如果加拿大的纸浆便宜 新罕布夏就得换跑道 |
[15:09] | That’s why the president’s allocated $500 million… | 所以总统才拨了5亿美元 |
[15:12] | …for trade adjustment assistance. Write this down. | 做为贸易调节援助金 写下来 |
[15:15] | That’s why he tripled small-business start-up loans. | 所以他才提供小型贸易 三倍的补助贷款 |
[15:17] | That’s why he’s balancing the budget. Go. | 所以他才平衡预算 快去 |
[15:20] | – It’s so warm in here. – Go. | -这里好暖 -快去 |
[15:30] | – Donna? – Yeah. | -唐娜? -怎样 |
[15:31] | Have you seen my copy of the president’s private schedule? | 你有看到 我的总统私人行程影本吗? |
[15:34] | – I don’t think so. – It’s stamped”D-12.” | -我想没有 -上面盖着“D12” |
[15:36] | – I haven’t seen it. – Thanks. | -我没看到 -谢谢 |
[15:44] | – Hey, Charlie. – Listen… | -查理 -听着 |
[15:46] | …have you seen my copy of the president’s private schedule? | 你有看到 我的总统私人行程影本吗? |
[15:49] | No. | 没 |
[15:51] | I’m trying to retrace where I’ve been the last hour. I was here. | 我正在试着回溯 我前一小时在哪,我在这里 |
[15:55] | I was in the mess. I went back to my desk. | 站在一片混乱中 我回到桌前 |
[16:02] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[16:12] | – Hello. – Chaz. | -哈�� -小查 |
[16:14] | You wouldn’t know where my copy of the private schedule is, would you? | 你该不会知道 我的总统私人行程影本在哪吧? |
[16:18] | – Did you lose it? – I don’t believe I did. | -你弄丢了? -我不敢相信 |
[16:20] | – Yet you don’t have it. – Odd. | -所以你身上没有 -真奇怪 |
[16:24] | – He’d like you for a moment. – Thank you. | -他待会要见你 -谢谢 |
[16:40] | – Where is it? – How would I know? | -在哪里? -我怎么会知道? |
[16:44] | Where is it? | 在哪里? |
[16:45] | I hope you didn’t leave the building with it. | 我希望你没带出大楼 |
[16:48] | – Give it up, tiny. – No. | -放弃吧 -不要 |
[16:50] | Talk nicer to me. When a reporter finds it, they’re gonna come to me. | 对我说话客气点 当记者找到时,他们会来找我 |
[16:54] | It’s stamped”D-12,” and you signed it out”D-12.” And rules are rules. | 上面盖着“D12” 你签出“D12”规定就是规定 |
[16:58] | – Funny. – What? | -真有趣 -怎样? |
[17:00] | – I never told you it was D-12. – How about that. | -我从没告诉你是“D12” -那又怎样? |
[17:02] | – Look… – You’ll find it in your filing cabinet… | -听着 -你会在档案柜里 |
[17:05] | …under A, for”anal.” | “肛门”的“《”下面找到 |
[17:13] | I don’t wanna know what he’s gonna find, do you? | 我可不想知道 他会在那儿找到什么,你呢? |
[17:15] | No. | 我也不想 |
[17:17] | – Okay. – Thank you, Mr. President. | -好吧 -谢谢,总统先生 |
[17:23] | C.J., I want you to leak it to two or three sources… | 茜洁,我要你把消息传给 两三个媒体 |
[17:26] | …the USS Carl Vinson is gonna do a passing exercise with the Independence. | 卡尔文森号战舰即将跟 独立号进行短暂演习 |
[17:31] | – We want South China media to pick it up. – Sure. | -我们希望中国媒体能报导 -当然 |
[17:38] | Mr. President? Can you see Toby a moment? | 总统先生? 你可以见托比一下吗? |
[17:41] | Yeah. Give us a minute, would you? | 好,给我一分钟好吗? |
[17:44] | I’ll let you know when there’s something new. | 有新情报进来我再通知你 |
[17:49] | – Good evening. Welcome back. – Thanks. Come on in. | -晚安,欢迎回来 -谢谢,进来吧 |
[17:52] | I think this note was delivered to me by mistake. | 我想这张纸条 被误送到我桌上 |
[17:55] | – What’s it say? -“Come play chess.” | -上面说什么? -“来下棋” |
[17:59] | No, that’s for you. | 那是给你的 |
[18:00] | – It says,”Sigmund, come play chess.” – That was a joke. | -上面说“佛洛依德,来下棋” -那只是个玩笑 |
[18:06] | Not so funny, huh? | 一点也不好笑吧? |
[18:08] | – That’s a beautiful chess set. – It’s a gift for you. | -这组棋盘真美 -这是给你的礼物 |
[18:16] | – Really? – Yeah. | -真的? -对 |
[18:18] | It’s hand-carved. It belonged to the prime minister’s grandfather… | 这是手工雕刻的 原本属于总理的祖父 |
[18:21] | …who used it to play with Lord Mountbatten. | 他曾经跟蒙巴顿大君下过棋 |
[18:24] | – I’m surprised she gave it away. – No, she didn’t. | -我很惊讶她就这样送出去 -不,她没有 |
[18:26] | We just boosted it from the palace on the way out. | 我们是趁离开时 从皇宫里搬走 |
[18:29] | I’ve got some little bottles of shampoo and conditioner too. | 我还偷了一些洗发精跟润发乳 |
[18:32] | Well, it’s a beautiful gift, sir. | 这是一套漂亮的礼物,长官 |
[18:36] | – Sit down. – Wouldn’t wanna take your time. | -坐下 -不想浪费你的时间 |
[18:38] | Come on, man, you were out of line. I was a jackass. Let’s call a truce. | 来吧,你曾经越过线 我是个混帐,我们休战吧 |
[18:47] | Well, I certainly apologize, sir. | 我真诚地道歉,长官 |
[18:50] | Let’s play chess. | 我们来下棋 |
[18:52] | Aren’t you in the middle of a game with Sam? | 你不是跟山姆玩到一半? |
[18:55] | Yeah. He’s one, two, four, eight… | 对,他还有1、2、4、8 |
[18:57] | …12 moves away from checkmate. – Twelve moves? | -12步才到将军 -12步? |
[19:00] | Yeah. You take white. | 对,你当白子 |
[19:05] | Lord Mountbatten used to play with this set? | 蒙巴顿大君曾下过这套棋盘? |
[19:08] | With Jawaharlal Nehru, where they came to an agreement… | 跟朱哈洛那鲁 他们在下棋时 |
[19:12] | …over the necessity of India’s independence. | 达成印度独立之必要性的协定 |
[19:15] | – An appropriate topic for the evening. – Taiwan’s not gonna be our topic. | -非常适合今晚的主题 -台湾不会是我的主题 |
[19:19] | – The Evans gambit. – There’s no such thing. | -伊凡斯开盘法 -没那回事 |
[19:23] | Variation of the Giuoco-piano opening… | 是意大利开盘法的变化 |
[19:26] | …named after British sea captain W.D. Evans, who invented it in 1820. | 以英国海军船长伊凡斯命名 他在1820年发明这种下法 |
[19:30] | – Don’t tell me chess moves. – I moved my pawn. | -别教我下棋法 -我移了我的兵 |
[19:33] | Well, it’s as popular today as it was back then. | 不论现在跟从前 下棋还是一样受欢迎 |
[19:44] | – What is? – I’m sorry? | -是什么? -什么? |
[19:48] | – What is our topic? – Re-election and the Bartlet psychosis. | -我们的主题是什么? -竞选连任跟巴特勒精神病 |
[19:57] | Seems to me the last time we were here we didn’t do well. | 看来我们上次谈话 并不太令人满意 |
[20:00] | So we get right back on the horse. | 让我们回到马上吧 |
[20:02] | I was out of line. I really do apologize. | 我超过界线了 我慎重道歉 |
[20:04] | You apologized already. So let’s get back on the horse. | 你已经道过歉了 让我们回到马上吧 |
[20:08] | Neither one of us ride horses. | 我们都不骑马 |
[20:09] | That makes it more likely that we’ll learn something. | 所以我们会学到更多东西 |
[20:13] | Sir? Sam says, “Bishop to queen’s knight three.” | 长官?山姆说 “主教移到皇后骑士三” |
[20:19] | Excuse me. Eleven moves. | 抱歉,11步 |
[20:45] | Take your time. | 慢慢来 |
[20:50] | See the whole board. | 看看整个棋盘 |
[20:55] | – Think happy thoughts… – Sir. | -想一些快乐的事 -长官 |
[20:56] | Sure. | 当然 |
[21:10] | The Spanish brought chess to the court of Charlemagne in 760 A.D. | 西班牙人在西元760年 将棋引入查理曼宫廷 |
[21:16] | “Charlemagne” is French for”Charles the Great.” | “查理曼”在法文代表 “查理曼大帝” |
[21:20] | The Charles is a river in Boston. | 查理是波士顿的一条河 |
[21:23] | – The Hudson River is not a river at all… – I’m taking your rook. | -哈德逊河根本不是一条河 -我要打破你的骗局 |
[21:34] | Now, take your time. | 现在,再慢慢来吧 |
[21:37] | – See the whole board. – The Hudson isn’t a river? | -看看整个棋盘 -哈德逊不是河? |
[21:40] | It is in the Catskills, but once it gets to Manhattan, it’s a tidal estuary. | 源自于卡兹奇山,但一来到曼哈顿 就变成涨潮入海口 |
[21:45] | It’s deeper than the body of water it flows into. | 它比流入的海还深 |
[21:47] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[21:50] | You mind my asking how the meeting with the Chinese ambassador went? | 我可以问你 跟中国大使谈得如何吗? |
[21:54] | Well, how do you think it went? | 你认为呢? |
[21:59] | They said if Taiwan tests the Patriots, they’ll start their exercises. | 如果台湾测试爱国者飞弹 他们就会展开演习 |
[22:02] | That’s right, except they didn’t call them Patriots. What’d they call them? | 没错,只是他们不叫 爱国者飞弹,知道他们怎么叫吗? |
[22:10] | – U.S. -made Patriots. – Right. | -美国制爱国者飞弹 -对 |
[22:14] | They want us to say we’ll roll back our sale of arms to Taiwan. | 他们要我们答应 减少给台湾的军售 |
[22:18] | – Good. – We’re not gonna stop arming Taiwan? | -很好 -我们不会停止武装台湾吧? |
[22:21] | – No. – When they’re trying to hold free elections. | -对 -尤其当他们会举行选举时 |
[22:23] | – Right. – Plus, it’s the law. | -对 -而且,这是法律规定 |
[22:25] | We sell them the Orions. We sell them the AMRAAMs. | 我们卖他们反潜机 还有先进中程空空导弹 |
[22:28] | – You gonna move? – Hang on. | -你要下了吗? -等等 |
[22:30] | Two carrier groups are headed to the Taiwan Strait. | 两组舰队正前往台湾海峡 |
[22:33] | – Move. – The Carl Vinson in the South China Sea. | -快下 -卡尔文森号战舰在南中国海 |
[22:36] | Beijing wants you to scale back the weapons. You’re not gonna do it. | 北京要你缩减军售规模 而你不会答应 |
[22:39] | Right. | 对 |
[22:45] | I gotta go back to Toby in the other room. He’s trying a Balducci attack. | 我得回托比那儿 他正准备使用巴杜奇攻击法 |
[22:50] | – How does it work? – See the whole board. | -那是怎么下? -看看整个棋盘 |
[22:59] | The Aegis destroyers. | 安吉斯驱逐舰 |
[23:04] | – I’m going out for pizza. Want any? – I’ll go get it. I wanna get some air. | -我要去拿披萨,要吗? -我也要去,我需要新鲜空气 |
[23:08] | We need three, I think. | 我们需要三个吧 |
[23:10] | – 45 minutes to Hartsfield’s Landing. – We’re working the room. | -再过45分钟哈兹菲德就要投票了 -我们已在行动了 |
[23:13] | – Good. – It is absurd… | -很好 -让42个人 |
[23:15] | …that 42 people have this power. – I think it’s nice. | -有这种权力,真是太荒谬了 -我觉得这样很棒 |
[23:18] | – Do you? – I think it’s democracy at its purest. | -真的? -我认为这是最纯粹的民主 |
[23:20] | – They all gather… – At a gas station. | -他们全聚集在一起 -在加油站 |
[23:22] | It’s not a gas station. It’s nice. | 不是加油站,是很棒 |
[23:25] | There’s a registrar of voters. The names are called in alphabetical order. | 一个选民登记员 以字母顺序叫号 |
[23:29] | They put a folded piece of paper into a box. | 他们把折好的选票 放进箱子里 |
[23:31] | See, this is the difference between you and me. | 看吧,这就是你跟我的不同 |
[23:35] | – You’re a sap. – Those 42 people are teaching us… | -你是个笨蛋 -这42个人正在教导我们 |
[23:38] | …something about ourselves. That freedom is the glory of God… | 一些我们自己的事 自由是上帝的荣耀 |
[23:43] | …that democracy is its birthright and that our vote matters. | 民主是与生俱来的权力 每一张选票都很重要 |
[23:49] | – You getting the pizza or…? – Yeah. I should call ahead. | -你要吃披萨还是? -要,我得先打电话订 |
[24:05] | – He Krazy Glued my phone. – Who? | -他用三秒胶黏我电话 -谁? |
[24:08] | Charlie. Charlie Krazy Glued… | 查理,查理用三秒胶 |
[24:13] | …my phone. | 黏我的电话 |
[24:18] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[24:19] | Okay. Now we’re playing for keeps. | 好吧 现在开始要玩攻防战了 |
[24:24] | – Josh. – How’d it go? | -乔西 -事情如何? |
[24:26] | I told them about the trade adjustment. | 我告诉他们贸易调整金的事 |
[24:28] | They’re not wild about the Canadian thing, but their real problem is tax policy. | 他们不是很在乎加拿大的事 真正的问题是税的政策 |
[24:32] | They wanna go from an income tax to a sales tax. | 他们想从所得税转成营业税 |
[24:34] | Is this gonna end up with Mackey Flender as fed chair? | 难道麦基弗兰德想当联邦主席? |
[24:37] | – I’m telling you… – Sales tax is regressive. | -我只是告诉你 -营业税是倒退的行为 |
[24:39] | Poor people pay a higher percentage of their income… Tell them we’ll study it. | 穷人得从所得中付更高的税 告诉他们我们会研究 |
[24:44] | Is the president destroying the economy to save salmon? | 总统是否为了拯救鲑鱼 而毁掉经济? |
[24:47] | – No. – I’m having a hard time convincing them. | -不是 -我很难说服他 |
[24:49] | – There’s no salmon in New Hampshire. – Mackey’s sister Fran lives in Oregon. | -新罕布夏又没有鲑鱼 -麦基的姐姐住在俄勒冈州 |
[24:53] | We haven’t made a decision on the salmon runs. | 我们已经决定让鲑鱼跑掉 |
[24:55] | – Salmon restoration is important. – Do you know what they’re talking about? | -鲑鱼保育非常重要 -你知道他们说什么吗? |
[24:59] | Am I the fish guy? Tell them we’re looking into it. | 我是渔夫吗? 告诉他们我们会研究 |
[25:01] | They think the president’s gonna privatize social security. | 他们认为总统 要把社会福利私人化 |
[25:05] | That’s the other guys! | 那是别人! |
[25:07] | He’s not gonna privatize social security. | 他才不会把社会福利私人化 |
[25:09] | He’ll privatize New Hampshire before he privatizes social security. | 他如果要把社福私人化 不如先把新罕布夏私人化 |
[25:13] | – We haven’t ruled it out. – We told Congress we’d be open. | -我们还没驳回 -我们对国会里所有的意见开放 |
[25:16] | – They’d really prefer if we ruled it out. – Here. | -他们希望我们能驳回 -拿去 |
[25:21] | Bartlet for New Hampshire. | 新罕布夏州长巴特勒 |
[25:23] | It gives all the reasons why Bartlet’s for New Hampshire. | 这告诉他们 巴特勒选上新罕布夏州长的原因 |
[25:26] | The Flenders, everybody. All 17 of them… | 弗兰德跟所有人 总共17个人 |
[25:29] | …or whatever goes on. Why are you wearing my coat? | 不论发生什么 你为什么穿我外套? |
[25:32] | – It’s warmer than my coat. – Okay. Go. | -比我的暖 -好吧,快去 |
[25:37] | – Are we getting pizza? – It’s on its way. | -我们到底有没有披萨? -快来了 |
[25:39] | All right. | 好吧 |
[25:42] | – What are you doing? – Trying to get pizza… | -你在做什么? -在文明未开化的世界中 |
[25:44] | …in an uncivilized world. – It’s not easy being you. | -订披萨 -当你一定很不简单 |
[25:47] | No. Listen… | 听着 |
[25:49] | …so I shouldn’t sweat, right? | 我不该紧张对吧? |
[25:51] | There’s a predetermined time for the carriers? | 有没有派战舰的预定时间? |
[25:54] | You know what? Half of me wants to let them go. | 你知道吗? 一半的我想让他们走 |
[25:56] | Half of you always wants to let them go. Everybody wants to. | 一半的你一直想让他们走 大家都想 |
[26:00] | They need 400,000 troops on high alert for thinking about holding an election. | 他们要40万军队保持高度戒备 以保住选举 |
[26:04] | 400,000 troops and a battery of Patriot missiles for thinking about an election. | 40万军队跟一打爱国者飞弹 来保住一场选举 |
[26:10] | You’re gonna turn the carrier groups around, right? | 你要把战舰调回来对吧? |
[26:13] | We’ll see how the pizza turns out. | 我们先看看披萨的情形如何 |
[26:34] | – Yeah? -Yeah, it’s me. | -什么事? -是我 |
[26:36] | I just wanna remind you that child- support collection ‘s up 37 percent. | 我只是想提醒你 儿童补助津贴上升了37% |
[26:40] | – What? – Child-support collection’s up 37 percent. | -什么? -儿童补助津贴上升了37% |
[26:43] | We’re cracking down on deadbeat dads. Tell them that. | 我们要打击跟不付抚恤金的爸爸 告诉他们 |
[26:47] | – Okay. -Leo was just here. | -好吧 -里奥刚刚在这儿 |
[26:50] | – Yeah? -He was talking about Taiwan. | -是吗? -他谈到台湾 |
[26:52] | He’s saying 400,000 troops and a battery of Patriot missiles… | 40万军队跟一打爱国者飞弹 |
[26:55] | …just to think about free elections. He was on one of his things. | 只为了保住自由选举 这是他的本性 |
[27:00] | Okay. Listen, I gotta call them. We’re running out of time. | 听着,我会打给他们 我们快没时间了 |
[27:03] | Yeah, okay. | 好吧 |
[27:10] | Let me tell you, you’re really showing me something tonight. | 让我告诉你 你今天真是让我大开眼界 |
[27:13] | A lot of spunk, a lot of pluck. | 很多大胆的举动 |
[27:15] | This game isn’t all about size, you know? | 这游戏跟大小无关 你知道吗? |
[27:18] | There’s a little thing called heart, and you’ve got it. | 有个小东西叫做心 你很有心 |
[27:21] | You know what, old man? The very minute they swear in the next guy… | 你知道吗? 当下一个新总统进来后 |
[27:24] | …you and I are going round and round. – Check. | -我们两个还会继续下去 -将军 |
[27:38] | How did you get good? | 你怎么那么厉害? |
[27:40] | I had a friend in school who taught me. He was good. | 我在学校有个朋友教过我 他很厉害 |
[27:43] | He was ranked, 18 and under. He was a really nice guy. Everybody liked him. | 他是青少年冠军 是个好人,大家都喜欢他 |
[27:48] | – What was his name? – David Wheadon. | -他叫什么名字? -大卫惠登 |
[27:51] | – Everybody had a crush on his sister. – You still see him? | -大家都想追他姐姐 -你还跟他见面吗? |
[27:54] | He went to Princeton. Christmas vacation he’d saved up to go to San Francisco. | 他去普林斯顿大学,圣诞节时 他存够钱就去旧金山玩 |
[27:58] | He was on the wharf, and he saw a guy beating a woman up. | 他站在码头 看到有人在打女人 |
[28:01] | And he went in to stop it, and the guy stabbed him to death. | 他就去阻止他 结果这家伙用刀把他捅死 |
[28:08] | Well, he taught you well. | 他教你教得很好 |
[28:11] | So you know I had this historic stretch of sleeplessness after our last meeting. | 你知道我自从上次跟你谈话后 就一直睡不着 |
[28:16] | – I didn’t know. – It got so bad… | -我不知道 -情况很严重 |
[28:18] | …Leo brought in the guy from ATVA who worked with Josh. | 里奥把从前帮过乔西的 一个心理医师带进来 |
[28:21] | – Isn’t he a trauma specialist? – Yeah. We know him… | -他不是创伤专家吗? -对,我们认识他 |
[28:23] | …and I figured he had to go to school for everything. We brought him in at night. | 我想他应该受过应有的教育 我们晚上把他带进来 |
[28:28] | – What did he say? – It was your fault. | -他怎么说? -这是你的错 |
[28:30] | He said you shouldn’t bother me so much. | 他说你不应该这样烦我 |
[28:32] | – I really am sorry about that. – I’m kidding. | -我真的感到很抱歉 -我开玩笑的 |
[28:34] | Yeah. I forgot for a second that you’re hilarious. | 我差点忘了你很搞笑 |
[28:38] | Let’s say the Republicans nominate Ritchie. | 假设共和党员提名李奇 |
[28:40] | – They will. – First of all, let’s stop for a moment… | -他们会 -首先,我们先停下来 |
[28:43] | …and say,”Why?” They got serious guys in the field… | 问“为什么?” 他们有这么多认真的人选 |
[28:46] | …Kalmbach, Daniel, Weston. | 凯巴哈、丹尼尔、温斯顿 |
[28:47] | Democrats had serious guys, and they nominated you. | 民主党员也有认真的人选 他们还是提名你 |
[28:50] | That’s true. | 说得没错 |
[28:55] | Check. | 将军 |
[28:57] | You think the strike against me is nobody likes the smartest kid in the class? | 你以为我被排挤是因为 没人喜欢班上最聪明的小孩? |
[29:01] | Oh, I don’t know, sir. | 我可不知道,长官 |
[29:04] | Being the smartest kid in the class is a pretty good pitch. | 当班上最聪明的小孩 是相当不错的领导位置 |
[29:07] | It’s not a strike… | 这不是排挤 |
[29:10] | …unless you watch it as it sails by. – I don’t do that. | -除非你顺势往上爬 -我不干那种事 |
[29:18] | Check. | 将军 |
[29:20] | – And I’m not a snob. – I don’t believe you are. | -而且我不是势利鬼 -我不相信你是 |
[29:23] | If a guy’s a good neighbor, puts in a day… | 如果有个好邻居,有一天 |
[29:25] | …if once in a while he laughs, he thinks about somebody else… | 他偶尔嘲笑了别人 |
[29:28] | …and if he can find compassion and tolerance, he’s my brother. | 而如果他能有同情心跟耐心 他就是我兄弟 |
[29:33] | I don’t care if he didn’t pass finger-painting. | 我不在乎他会不会指划法 |
[29:36] | What I can’t stomach are people who try to convince people that the educated… | 我最不能忍受的就是 有人试着要说服别人 |
[29:40] | …are soft, privileged and out to make them feel like they’re less than. | 教育是一种软性特权 目的就是要让别人觉得矮一截 |
[29:43] | “He may be educated, but I’m plainspoken just like you.” | “他也许受过教育 但我就跟你一样老实” |
[29:47] | Especially when we know that education can be the silver bullet… | 尤其当我们知道 教育是一种快速解决方法 |
[29:51] | …for crime, poverty, unemployment, drugs, hatred… | 针对罪犯、贫穷、失业 毒品跟仇恨 |
[29:54] | – Who are you trying to convince? – I’m saying, I don’t watch the pitch go by. | -你打算说服谁? -我是说,我不顺势往上爬 |
[30:02] | – Check. – And if I do… | -将军 -如果我这么做 |
[30:04] | …it’s not because my father… – Was an idiot. | -也不是因为我爸 -他是个白痴 |
[30:12] | Can we talk about…? God! | 我们可以谈?天哪! |
[30:16] | Can we talk about…? Please, can we talk about my father with some respect? | 我们可以谈?拜托 谈我爸时可不可以带点尊敬? |
[30:21] | The man’s gone. Can we…? He was my father. He wasn’t a Dickens character. | 他已经不在了,他是我爸 他又不是狄更斯笔下的坏蛋 |
[30:27] | Yes, sir. | 是,长官 |
[30:49] | Mr. President? | 总统先生? |
[30:52] | Yeah. | 来了 |
[30:59] | Check. | 将军 |
[31:03] | Check. | 将军 |
[31:05] | Check. | 将军 |
[31:08] | I’ll be back. | 我马上回来 |
[31:13] | Don’t cheat. I know exactly where the pieces on the board are. | 别作弊 我知道每步棋是怎么摆的 |
[31:17] | I know exactly where the pieces are on Sam’s board. | 我也知道 山姆的棋盘是怎么摆的 |
[31:19] | I know exactly where the pieces still are on David Wheadon’s. | 我还记得 大卫惠登的棋盘是怎么摆的 |
[31:28] | Sir, the carriers are 35 minutes from the Strait now. | 长官,战舰距离台湾海峡 还有35分钟 |
[31:32] | All right, you can bring the ambassador back now and get Beijing. | 好吧,你可以带大使回去 跟北京联络 |
[31:39] | I’m sorry, sir, it’s a formality, but I… . | 长官,这是形式上的手续,不过 |
[31:43] | She needs the order. | 她需要你下令 |
[31:47] | The Aegis destroyers. | 安吉斯驱逐舰 |
[31:50] | Yes, sir. Just out of curiosity, what if that doesn’t work? | 是,长官 我只是出于好奇,如果无效呢? |
[31:53] | I don’t know, but for sure we’re gonna blame you. | 我不知道 但我们绝对会怪你 |
[31:57] | Yes, sir. | 是,长官 |
[32:09] | What’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[32:12] | I don’t know. Toby keeps coming back at me with this… . | 我不知道 托比一直回来找我谈 |
[32:16] | I don’t know. He says I let the pitch go by. | 我不知道 他说我顺势往上爬 |
[32:19] | – What pitch? – I soften. I smooth myself out publicly. | -什么势? -我软化,我公开示好 |
[32:25] | It’s not a put-on, by the way. I’m honestly folksy. | 我不是做作 我是真的和蔼可亲 |
[32:28] | – Yeah. -“Yeah” what? | -是啊 -“是”什么? |
[32:33] | -“Yeah” nothing. – You agree with him? | -“是”没什么 -你同意他? |
[32:36] | – I don’t think you let the pitch go by. – I don’t. | -我不认为你顺势往上爬 -我没有 |
[32:39] | I think you foul it off. | 我认为你不屑权贵 |
[32:42] | Yeah, well, he keeps coming back at me. | 反正他一直回来找我谈 |
[32:45] | You invited him back this time, didn’t you? | 这次是你邀他进来不是吗? |
[32:48] | All right. | 好吧 |
[32:52] | So… | 那么 |
[32:55] | …what are you doing? – Just playing some chess. | -你在做什么? -只是下下棋 |
[33:19] | – Stay right there. – Tommy, it’s me. | -待在原地 -汤米,是我 |
[33:21] | – What happened? – She ran the card. | -怎么了? -她带卡闯关 |
[33:23] | – It must be bent. – Stay right there, please. | -卡一定折到了 -请待在原地 |
[33:25] | – I’m staying right here. – Look… | -我就站在这儿 -听着 |
[33:27] | Guys, it’s me. | 各位,是我啊 |
[33:29] | – The card says you’re Charles Young. – Yes. | -卡上说你是查理斯杨 -是啊 |
[33:32] | – Okay. Well, obviously, I’m not. – Why do you have a card that’s not yours? | -好吧,很明显地,我不是 -你为什么有张不属于你的卡? |
[33:36] | – Because… – What’s going on? | -因为 -怎么了? |
[33:37] | Mr. McGarry, this woman has a card that doesn’t belong to her. | 马加瑞先生 这女子有张不属于她的卡 |
[33:41] | – What…? – Charlie’s getting me back… | -什么? -查理要整我 |
[33:42] | – Stay where you are. – Oh, my God. | -请待在原地 -我的天哪 |
[33:44] | – Sign her in with an appointment. – An appointment? | -用会面让她签进来 -会面? |
[33:48] | – Be in your office in 15 minutes. – Can I move now? | -15分钟后回办公室 -我可以动了吗? |
[33:55] | Roberta. Roberta, those are all good points… | 罗贝塔 这些都是很好的看法 |
[33:57] | …and valid areas of disagreement. But what I don’t understand… | 也是值得争议的地方 但我不了解的是 |
[34:01] | What I don’t understand is you guys were such fans of the president. | 我不了解的是 你们曾经是总统的死忠支持者 |
[34:05] | You loved him when he was governor. | 当他是州长时,你们爱戴他 |
[34:07] | You worked so hard for him when he was campaigning. | 当他竞选时,你们卖命帮他 |
[34:10] | Yeah. Yeah. | 是啊 |
[34:15] | Well, he didn’t lie. | 他没有说谎 |
[34:18] | No, he didn’t lie, Mackey. | 不,他没有说谎,麦基 |
[34:20] | I’ll tell you what else, he just accepted a Congressional censure, and I think it’s… | 我告诉你别的事 他才刚接受国会谴责,我认为 |
[34:25] | He should be held to a higher standard. He holds himself to a higher standard… | 他是应该拥有更高标准 他要求自己拥有更高标准 |
[34:30] | …but sometimes he can’t meet it, because presidents aren’t kings. | 但有时候他达不到 因为总统不是国王 |
[34:33] | He’s an economist from New Hampshire. It’s time to get off your horse. | 他是来自新罕布夏的经济学家 该是你们下马的时候了 |
[34:37] | Donna. | 唐娜 |
[34:41] | – I’m out here in the middle of the night… – Donna. | -我半夜站在这里 -唐娜 |
[34:44] | Hold on, please. | 请等一下 |
[34:46] | I’ve had it now too. They’re shocked, appalled, disappointed. | 我快要谈成了 他们非常震惊、讶异又失望 |
[34:49] | Really they’re none of those things. They just wish they were… | 那些都不是他们的真正问题 他们还希望那些是 |
[34:52] | …so never missing an opportunity to feel morally superior. | 如此一来 他们就能一直拥有道德优越感 |
[34:56] | – What do you want me to do now? – Let them vote. | -你要我怎么做? -让他们投票 |
[34:58] | – What does that mean? – I came to tell you to let them vote. | -什么意思? -我来告诉你让他们投票 |
[35:05] | Yeah, this is Josh Lyman. | 我是乔西赖曼 |
[35:08] | We just wanna call and thank you again for all your work… | 我们只是想打来说声谢谢 感谢你们的努力 |
[35:11] | …and remind you that the polls in Hartsfield’s Landing open in 14 minutes. | 还有提醒你们再过14分钟 就要在哈兹菲德投票了 |
[35:16] | You got the chains on the truck, Mackey? | 你们的轮胎上好锁链了吧 麦基? |
[35:20] | Okay. Tell your sister in Oregon I’m gonna learn something about salmon. | 好吧,告诉你俄勒冈的姐姐 我会研究鲑鱼的事 |
[35:24] | Right now, all I know is that they’re good on a bagel. | 我现在只知道 鲑鱼配焙果最好吃 |
[35:29] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[35:36] | Maybe they are morally superior. | 也许他们道德上比较优越 |
[35:38] | Anyway, they get to vote. | 不过他们还是要投票 |
[35:47] | It’s freezing out here. | 这里好冷 |
[35:58] | Abbey told me this story once. | 艾碧曾告诉我这个故事 |
[36:01] | She said you were at a party once where you were bending a guy’s ear. | 她告诉我你在某个派对上 疲劳轰炸一个家伙 |
[36:06] | You were telling him that Ellie had mastered her multiplication tables… | 你当时告诉他 艾莉已经把九九乘法表背起来 |
[36:10] | …and she was in third grade, reading at a fifth-grade level. She loved books… | 她才三年级,已经可以读 五年级的书,她爱看书 |
[36:14] | …and she scored two goals for her soccer team. And you were going on. | 她是足球校队,射门两次得分 你还滔滔不绝 |
[36:19] | What made Abbey’s story remarkable… | 艾碧的故事 最了不起的地方是 |
[36:22] | …was that the party you were at was in Stockholm… | 那场派对在斯德哥尔摩 |
[36:24] | …and the man you were talking to was King Gustav… | 而你说话的对象 是古斯塔夫国王 |
[36:27] | …who two hours earlier had given you the Nobel Prize in economics. | 他前两小时 才把诺贝尔经济学家奖颁给你 |
[36:32] | I mean, my God, you’d just won the Nobel Prize… | 我是说,我的天 你刚赢得诺贝尔奖 |
[36:36] | …and you wanted to talk to the king about Ellie’s multiplication tables. | 而你只想跟国王谈 艾莉的九九乘法表 |
[36:40] | What’s your point? | 你的重点是? |
[36:45] | You’re a good father. You don’t have to act like it. | 你是个好爸爸 你不必假装是 |
[36:48] | You’re the president. You don’t have to act like it. | 你是个总统 你不必假装是 |
[36:52] | You’re a good man. You don’t have to act like it. | 你是个好人 你不必假装是 |
[36:55] | You’re not just folks. You’re not plainspoken. | 你不是一般人 你不是老实俗人 |
[36:59] | Do not… Do not… Do not act like it. | 不要不要假装你是 |
[37:04] | I don’t wanna be killed. | 我不想被暗杀 |
[37:10] | Then make this election about smart and not. | 那就让这场选举 区分出聪明与否 |
[37:15] | Make it about engaged and not. | 区分出信守承诺与否 |
[37:19] | Qualified and not. | 资格符合与否 |
[37:23] | Make it about a heavyweight. You’re a heavyweight. | 份量足够与否 你份量够重 |
[37:30] | And you’ve been holding me up for too many rounds. | 你已经提拔我太多次了 |
[37:49] | Pick your king up. We’re not done playing yet. | 把你的国王扶起来 这局还没结束 |
[38:04] | – Hello. – How you doing? | -哈�� -你好吗? |
[38:06] | You really wanna dance with me? | 你真的想跟我玩? |
[38:07] | Wouldn’t it have been easier to respect the rules? | 照游戏规则不是比较容易吗? |
[38:10] | – What are you doing here? – Leo told me to be here. | -你在这里做什么? -里奥叫我待在这儿 |
[38:13] | – Leo? – What the hell…? | -里奥? -搞什么? |
[38:14] | – I devised a system… – I wanted a copy of the… | -我设计整个系统 -我只是要张影本 |
[38:17] | – Each copy has a number… – Marion the librarian was… | -每个影本都有号码 -博物馆员玛莉恩是 |
[38:20] | – No copy can leave… – I decided to teach him… | -所有影本都不准离开 -我决定教导他 |
[38:22] | – And could flaunt the rules! – And Krazy Glued my phone! | -她好炫耀她的规则! -用三秒胶黏我的电话! |
[38:26] | I think it’s fine that people blow off steam. | 我想人们时有摩擦也无妨 |
[38:28] | But now it’s done, and it’s time for one of you to be mature. | 但现在该结束了 你们之中该有一个成熟点 |
[38:32] | – Well, C.J. ‘s more mature than I am. – Hey! | -茜洁比我还成熟 -喂! |
[38:35] | – Excuse me. Leo? – Yeah. | -抱歉,里奥? -怎样 |
[38:36] | Nancy McNally’s calling for you. | 南西麦纳利找你 |
[38:43] | Okay. Well… . | 好吧 |
[38:44] | Okay, it’s over. That’s that. | 好吧,结束了,就这样 |
[38:58] | So how long do you usually make people your bitch? | 你大概花多久时间 就能让人臣服于你? |
[39:01] | Depends. | 不一定 |
[39:04] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[39:09] | – Sorry. I got tied up. – No, it’s fine. | -抱歉,我被绊住了 -没关系 |
[39:14] | Let’s get back to it. | 我们继续下 |
[39:17] | I looked something up while you were gone. | 当你不在时,我仔细查了一下 |
[39:19] | Eisenhower wanted to avoid sending ships to resupply Quemoy and Matsu… | 艾森豪一直要避免 派舰队支援金门跟马祖 |
[39:24] | …because they’d be a mile from the Chinese army. | 因为离中国军队只有一里 |
[39:27] | A private could… Well, everybody was a private in Mao’s army. | 任何大兵 毛泽东军队里的任何人 |
[39:30] | A private could fire on the ship, and that’d be it. We’d be at war. | 任何一个大兵都能对船开火 战争就此爆发 |
[39:34] | – Eisenhower wouldn’t do it. – No. | -艾森豪不会这么做 -对 |
[39:37] | Why are you? | 你为什么要? |
[39:39] | – Look at the whole board. – I am. | -看看整个棋盘 -我在看了 |
[39:41] | – You’re not. – I’m trying. | -你没有 -我在努力 |
[39:43] | – Sam… – Why put carriers in the Taiwan Strait? | -山姆 -为什么要派舰队去台湾海峡? |
[39:46] | – Are they in the Taiwan Strait? – On their way. | -他们在台湾海峡了吗? -在路上了 |
[39:48] | Is that the same thing? | 那算同一件事吗? |
[39:52] | How does this end? | 你要如何收尾? |
[39:55] | Sir? | 长官? |
[39:58] | Like this. | 像这样 |
[40:16] | Turn them around. I’ll make some calls and thank people. | 把他们调回来 我会打几通电话谢谢一些人 |
[40:19] | – Yes, sir. – Thank you, by the way. | -是,长官 -也谢谢你 |
[40:24] | You too. | 我也是 |
[40:38] | I’d like to try it without looking at the note. | 我试着不看纸条 用猜的 |
[40:40] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[40:44] | China agrees to stand down the war games. | 中国同意不发动演习 |
[40:46] | – Right. – They agree to let Taiwan test Patriots. | -对 -同意让台湾测试爱国者飞弹 |
[40:49] | – One Patriot. – Yes. | -一颗爱国者飞弹 -对 |
[40:50] | We… Please, I wanna be right about this. | 我们我希望我猜对 |
[40:53] | We agree not to sell Taiwan the Aegis destroyers for a period of… | 我们同意暂时不把 安吉斯驱逐舰贩售给台湾 |
[40:56] | …I don’t know, five years. – Ten years, but you got it. | -大约5年吧 -10年,不过你猜对了 |
[40:59] | Sir, the Aegis radar technology isn’t something that… | 长官,安吉斯雷达技术 不是能够 |
[41:03] | I mean, what if Taiwan did fall to China? | 如果台湾被中国统一呢? |
[41:06] | Now they have… Plus, these ships cost something like $800 million apiece. | 现在他们有而且 每艘船价值约8亿美金 |
[41:11] | Four would eat up half of Taiwan’s defense budget. | 四艘就能吃掉 台湾一半的国防预算 |
[41:13] | And so? | 所以呢? |
[41:18] | You never were gonna sell them the destroyers. | 你永远也不会把 驱逐舰卖给他们 |
[41:21] | But everybody wakes up alive in the morning and saves a little face. | 但每个人都能活到明天早上 又挽救大家的面子 |
[41:26] | I don’t know how you… . | 我不知道你怎么 |
[41:29] | I don’t know the word. | 我不知道该说什么 |
[41:31] | I don’t know how you do it. | 我不知道你怎么办到 |
[41:33] | You have a lot of help. You listen to everybody. And then you call the play. | 你有很多人帮你 你听大家的意见,然后开始下棋 |
[41:41] | Sam… | 山姆 |
[41:44] | …you’re gonna run for president one day. | 你总有一天要竞选总统 |
[41:47] | Don’t be scared. You can do it. I believe in you. | 别害怕 你办得到,我相信你 |
[41:57] | That’s checkmate. | 这是将军 |
[42:05] | … two roads, no traffic lights, and town hall’s a filing cabinet and a countertop… | 只有两条街、没有红绿灯 市政厅只有一个档案柜跟书桌 |
[42:10] | … in the town clerk’s basement. Hartsfield’s Landing… | 放在秘书的地下室 哈兹菲德镇 |
[42:13] | … is where democracy begins for the world’s only superpower. | 是世界强权的民主起源地 |
[42:16] | It’s 12:01 a.m., and the registrar, who ‘s also the principal… | 现在是半夜12:01 身兼总召的登记员 |
[42:19] | … and only teacher at the Hartsfield School, calls the roll of voters. | 也是哈兹菲德学校唯一的老师 开始为投票者叫号 |
[42:22] | -Claude Abernathy. -Here. | -克劳德阿柏那西 -有 |
[42:24] | Please step up and cast your vote. Diana Abernathy. | 请站出来并投票 黛安那阿柏那西 |
[42:28] | -Here. -Please step up and cast your vote. | -有 -请站出来并投票 |
[42:31] | -Barney Braddock. -Here. | -巴尼布拉多克 -有 |
[42:32] | Please step up and cast your vote. | 请站出来并投票 |
[42:36] | -Lillian Braddock. -Here. | -莉莉安布拉多克 -有 |
[42:37] | Lillian ‘s 18, everyone. This is her first vote. | 莉莉安今年18岁 各位,这是她首次投票 |
[42:43] | Please step up and cast your vote. Congratulations, Lillian. | 请站出来并投票 恭喜你,莉莉安 |
[42:46] | Lillian ‘s mom, Miriam Braddock, please step up and cast your vote. | 莉莉安的母亲蜜莉安布拉多克 请站出来并投票 |