时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | C.J. Cregg was getting threats. We put an agent on her. | 茜洁葛瑞受到威胁 我们在她边加派安全人员 |
[00:10] | He walked into the middle of an armed robbery. | 他走入一桩抢案现场 他被杀了 |
[00:13] | Crime. | 有罪 |
[00:15] | Boy, I don’t know. | 天哪,我不知道 |
[00:17] | Think the strike against me is nobody likes the smartest kid in the class? | 你以为我被攻击是因为我是 班上最聪明的小鬼? |
[00:21] | It’s not a strike unless you watch it sail by. | 除非亲眼目睹否则不算攻击 |
[00:23] | You’re weak, you’re liberal. | 你是弱者,你是自由派的 |
[00:25] | And you can’t be trusted. | 你是不能信任的 |
[00:27] | Horton Wilde’s had a heart attack. | 荷顿怀尔德心脏病发 |
[00:29] | The Democrats have nominated someone who’s had three heart attacks? | 民主党提名一个 曾经三次心脏病发的人? |
[00:33] | If you’re wondering: | 你若在怀疑: |
[00:34] | “Crime. Boy, I don’t know,” is when I decided to kick your ass. | “有罪,哇,我不知道”之时 正是我要揍扁你的时候 剧名:好戏上场 |
[00:45] | – A crisis of confidence? – Yeah. | -信心危机? -是的 |
[00:47] | – I don’t understand. – I was on the helicopter… | -我不了解 -早上我和他在一起时 |
[00:49] | …and he’s second guessing himself. | 他对自己不太确定 (星期二 早上七点二十五分) |
[00:53] | He’s revising answers in his head… I know. | 他一直在修正脑子里的答案 我知道 |
[00:56] | When I left him he was ready. I don’t understand. | 我离开他时他已经都准备好了 我不明白 |
[00:59] | – He’s ready. You can see it. – Not this morning. | -他做好准备了,看得出来的 -但今天早上不是的 |
[01:01] | This isn’t supposed to happen with you. | 这种事不该发生在你们这种人身上 |
[01:03] | – Christians? – Yes. | -我们基督徒? -是的 |
[01:05] | What happened to”steady as she goes”? | 不是说什么会常被庇佑的? |
[01:06] | A smart guy said presidential elections are won and lost… | 一个聪明的家伙说 总统大选的输赢 |
[01:09] | …on 1 square foot of real estate. | 决定在一平方尺的资产之上 |
[01:11] | – Up here. – Well, that’s great. | -就在这里面 -好的,很好 |
[01:13] | – Yeah. – We still got a day before he debates. | -是的 -距离辩论会还有一天半 |
[01:16] | We’ll go back to school. | 我们回学校去 |
[01:18] | I think that’s just gonna pour gas on the problem. | 我想也只是火上加油 |
[01:21] | – What do you wanna do? – We got a two-minute drill. | -那你想怎样? -两分钟的演练 |
[01:23] | I think whatever answers he gives, we should just say: | 我想无论他说什么答案 我们只要说: |
[01:26] | “That’s terrific, Mr. President.” | “太棒了,总统先生” |
[01:28] | – What’s the point of the drill? – We got five scheduled before tomorrow. | -演练的目的究竟是什么? -明天之前我们有五个行程 |
[01:31] | – We’re using one for this. – This is crazy. I don’t believe this. | -其中一个就是现在 -太疯狂了,我真不敢相信 |
[01:35] | -“That’s terrific, Mr. President.” – All right. | -“太棒了,总统先生” -好吧 |
[01:37] | – Leo. – Listen, we’re gonna do something… | -里奥 -听着,我们要做一件事 |
[01:39] | …in the drill right now. – What? | -就是现在演练一下 -什么? |
[01:41] | – No notes, just positive reinforcement. – Why? | -不批注,只有正面的鼓舞而已 -为什么? |
[01:44] | He has a problem this morning. | 他今天早上有点问题 |
[01:46] | All right. Leo, I’ve got a 9:30 flight. I’ll be there sometime after lunch. | 好,里奥,我搭九点三十的飞机 午餐后我再去那里 |
[01:49] | – You can’t do this with a phone call? – Oh, God, I don’t know. | -你不能用电话就好了? -天啊,我不晓得 |
[01:53] | The man died. There’s a widow. We’re asking them to pack. | 那个人死了,留下遗孀 我们是去要求他们打包走人的 |
[01:56] | I’m an hour away in a rental car. We didn’t make it personal… | 我要租车开一小时的车程 我们以前也没有亲自去过 |
[01:59] | – All right. I just need you in San Diego. – Josh. | -好,我要你去圣地牙哥 -乔西 |
[02:01] | We’re still looking for 10 words. | 我们仍还在苦思十个字 |
[02:03] | – I’m still looking for them too. – Ten words, 10 words. Let’s go. | -我也还在找 -十个字、十个字,走吧 |
[02:07] | We’re gonna expand the field. | 我们将要开疆拓土 |
[02:08] | No notes during this drill. That’s you too. | 这次演练不做笔记了 你也是 |
[02:11] | – What’s that? – No notes during the drill. | -干什么? -演练不能批评 |
[02:13] | – Why? – He’s in his head. | -为什么? -他不对劲了 |
[02:14] | – There’s important feedback in the drills. – We’ve got four more. | -演练的回馈是很重要的 -我们还有四次练习 |
[02:18] | – We’ve got one on the plane. – When’s Debbie starting? | -一个在飞机上 -黛比什么时候开始上工? |
[02:21] | The president sent her to the Maxwell School for a three-day crash course. | 总统送她去麦斯威尔学校 上三天的密集课程 |
[02:24] | You got a $ 10 bill on your clipboard. | 你的笔记板夹着十元 |
[02:27] | – Yeah, I owe it to someone. – You can all go on in. | -是的,是我欠某人的 -你们可以进来了 |
[02:29] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[02:32] | – Ten words. – We don’t have them yet, Mr. President. | -十个字 -我们还没想出来,总统先生 |
[02:35] | All right, let’s do a drill. | 没关系,我们练习吧 |
[02:37] | Despite a rise in tension, you’ve held up funding for a missile defense shield. | 尽管紧张情势升高 你仍扣住飞弹防御系统的预算 |
[02:41] | Too much money for too little protection. Next. | 何需为了不实用的防御花大钱 下一个 |
[02:43] | You oppose a system that would offer children a choice of schools. | 你反对一个让儿童 有权利选择学校的方案 |
[02:47] | That would offer some a choice of schools. | 这系统只提供给少数儿童 |
[02:49] | I haven’t given up on better schools for everybody. | 我还没放弃 让每个人都能读更好的学校 |
[02:52] | Vouchers drain money from that goal. | 补助款凭单制浪费太多金钱 |
[02:53] | This next question’s on capital punishment, which you oppose. | 下一个是 你反对死刑问题 |
[02:57] | If your daughter was raped and murdered… | 假设你女儿被奸杀 |
[02:59] | …would you wanna see the man responsible put to death? | 你想看那个罪犯被处死吗? |
[03:02] | It’s important to understand the president doesn’t make that decision. | 请大家了解,重点在于 总统不做这种决定 |
[03:05] | Though he appoints Supreme Court justices who do so. | 他指派最高法院法官来执行 |
[03:08] | Why…? Any… | 为什么?任何 |
[03:11] | All right. I’m not gonna say that. | 好的,我不那样说 |
[03:13] | I’ll just go right to… No, I don’t. | 我要直接 不,我不 |
[03:16] | I think you know that I’m opposed… | 我想你知道我反对 |
[03:19] | Let’s not do that. | 我们不要这样说 |
[03:21] | I haven’t seen any evidence that it’s a deterrent. | 我还没见过死刑真有作用的证据 |
[03:24] | And there are more effective… | 我们还有更多有效的 |
[03:26] | – In my state… – Oh, my God. | -在我的州 -哦,我的天啊 |
[03:28] | What? | 什么? |
[03:29] | You weren’t kidding. | 你不是在开玩笑 |
[03:32] | What’s the matter with you? | 你怎么了? |
[03:34] | When I left you… I just mentioned your daughter being murdered. | 我们上次练习时我只提到 如果你的女儿被谋杀 |
[03:38] | And you’re giving us an answer that’s not only soporific, it’s barely human. | 你的答案不只乏善可陈 而且太没文化 |
[03:42] | Yes, you’d wanna see him put to death. You’d want it to be cruel and unusual. | 是的,你当然会想看他被处死 你还希望用残酷且不寻常的手段 |
[03:46] | Which is why it’s a good idea that fathers of murder victims… | 所以失去理性的 受害者父亲也许是不应该 |
[03:49] | …don’t have legal rights in these situations. | 拥有法律上的权利 |
[03:51] | Now we’re going back to school. | 我们得再回去学校去训练了 |
[04:01] | Let’s go, 10 bucks. | 咱们走了,十块钱 |
[04:04] | Crisis of confidence. | 信心危机 |
[04:06] | You did 1 square foot of real estate? | 你打赢那一平方尺的仗了吗? |
[04:09] | – Yes, I did. – Ten bucks for you. | -是的,我赢了 -十块钱给你 |
[04:11] | And you, you big bear, come to me. I’m gonna kiss you right on the mouth. | 你这个家伙,过来 我要亲你的嘴 |
[04:15] | – Ten bucks. – Anything else, sir. | -十块钱 -还有别的事吗,先生 |
[04:18] | – Work hard. – Thank you, sir. | -努力工作 -谢谢你 |
[04:20] | – Thank you. – Thank you, Mr. President. | -谢谢你 -谢谢你,总统先生 |
[04:28] | – Have a safe flight. – I’ll see you in San Diego. | -祝你飞行愉快 -圣地牙哥见 |
[04:31] | Sorry about that. It was the president’s idea. | 抱歉,这是总统的点子 |
[04:34] | He bet us you couldn’t stay quiet if he gave a bad answer. | 他打赌说,他若说出差劲答案 你不会闭嘴不管 |
[04:41] | – What? – He’s ready. | -干嘛? -他已经准备好了 主演:罗伯洛 主演:施塔科钱宁 主演:杜希尔 主演:艾莉森詹尼 主演:珍妮尔摩隆奈 主演:里察薛福 主演:约翰史宝塞 主演:布雷迪威佛德 主演:马丁辛 (新港海滩市,加州) (第四十七国会选区) (橘郡失去了怀尔德) |
[05:58] | – Excuse me. – Hang on one second. | -抱歉 -等一等 |
[06:00] | Can he do Inside Politics tomorrow? | 他明天能上《政治内幕》吗? |
[06:02] | He can do it on tape, but we’re downtown at 5. Let me talk to them. | 能用录影的,但我们五点在市中心 我来和他们谈 |
[06:05] | – Yes. – I’m Sam Seaborn. | -是 -我是山姆希朋 |
[06:08] | I’m here to see William Bailey. | 我想见威廉贝利 |
[06:10] | Okay. | 好的 |
[06:12] | Hey, William Bailey. Bill Bailey. I just got that. | 嘿,威廉贝利,比尔贝利 我才刚学会 |
[06:15] | Mention it to him. He’s probably never heard that reference. | 跟他提一下 他大概没听过这种称呼 |
[06:18] | – It’s Will. -“Merry Christmas… | -是威尔 -“圣诞快乐 |
[06:20] | …you old Building and Loan.” | 老房子贷款更快乐” |
[06:23] | That’s George Bailey. | 那是乔治贝利的话 |
[06:24] | Well, why don’t we get him. | 何不叫他出来 |
[06:26] | – Will! – Will? | -威尔! -威尔? |
[06:27] | Good to see you. Be with you in a second. | 幸会,请稍等 |
[06:30] | Darren and Sharon, where are you? | 戴伦和莎朗,你们在哪? |
[06:32] | Good, but don’t use the words”waiting period.” | 很好,但不要使用 “等待期间”这个字眼 |
[06:34] | The point was to support a stricter waiting period for handguns. | 重点是支持更严格的等待期间 才能买到手枪 |
[06:38] | Waiting period sounds like an inconvenience. | 等待期间好像不太方便而已 |
[06:40] | Keeping guns away from felons is a national necessity. | 让犯重罪的人 远离枪枝是必要的 |
[06:43] | Have you called on the ballot initiatives? | 制片:尼尔海恩二世 你去电访提议人好吗? |
[06:45] | – Hi. | – Hi. Sam Seaborn. -嗨 -嗨,山姆希朋 |
[06:46] | Sure. Will Bailey. You wanna come inside? | 制片:保罗瑞福 我是威尔贝利 你要进来吗? |
[06:49] | – Will, you got like, two minutes. – Yeah. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 |
[06:51] | There’s a press conference. I’ve been trying to study a little. | -威尔,你还有两分钟 -好的 有个记者会 我想先研究一下 |
[06:55] | I met your assistant. She’s funny. | 我见过你的助理,她很有趣 |
[06:57] | She’s attractive. I hope I’m not inappropriate. | 她很有吸引力 希望我没失礼 |
[07:00] | I have an assistant? | 我有助理吗? |
[07:01] | – Well, somebody who works here. – Yeah. | -总之是在这里工作的人 -是的 |
[07:04] | First things first. I bring the condolences of the White House on your loss. | 首先,我带来白宫 对于你们以及慰问与哀悼 |
[07:08] | On Mrs. Wilde’s loss, I should say. Everybody’s. | 应该说对怀尔德夫人的慰问 其实是对每个人的慰问 |
[07:11] | And you ran a strong campaign for the candidate. You should be proud. | 你为候选人强力的竞选 你应该感到骄傲 |
[07:15] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 制片:李维林威尔斯 |
[07:20] | – You know why I came here? – It’s not to tell me… | 你知道我来此的原因吗? |
[07:23] | …I ran a strong campaign and should be proud. | 编剧:艾伦索金、保罗瑞福 应该不只是要告诉我 我辛苦竞选该感到骄傲 |
[07:25] | – It’s not, though you did and you should. – And I will once it’s over. | -不是,如果你很辛苦也该感到骄傲 -等一切结束了我会很骄傲 |
[07:29] | – It’s over. – Nothing I can do about election law. | -结束了 -我对选举法是无能为力的 |
[07:32] | – The man’s name stays on the ballot. – Can’t campaign without a candidate. | 导演:亚力克葛拉夫斯 -他的名字仍在选票上 -选举不能没有候选人 |
[07:36] | – Campaign of ideas. – The candidate died. | -这是理念的选举 -候选人过世了 |
[07:38] | But not the ideas. The metaphor alone knocks me down. | 但理念没死,光是这隐喻 就让我深受感动 |
[07:41] | – Elsie! – Mr. Bailey. | -艾尔西! -贝利先生 |
[07:43] | – Yeah. – I’m getting cold feet about the bow tie. | -是 -我对蝴蝶结领带感到没信心 |
[07:46] | You like it, but for me, my whole world becomes about it. | 你喜欢,但对我而言 它变成我苦恼的焦点 |
[07:49] | – Can we rustle up a real one? – Yeah, and we have to get in the car. | -我们能快速弄个真领带吗? -可以,我们得上车了 |
[07:53] | The campaign’s become embarrassing to us. It’s a national joke. | 这个选举对我们而言变得很尴尬 还是全国的笑话 |
[08:06] | Sorry about that. | 我很抱歉 |
[08:11] | I got a press conference. | 我要去参加记者会了 |
[08:16] | Sally and the suffragettes, what you got? | 莎丽和女性领导们 你们带什么来了? |
[08:18] | – Oh, we did the PSA. – Let me see. | -我们做了标语 -我看看 |
[08:21] | Very nice, but do me a favor. Read this for me. | 很好,请帮我一个忙 念出来给我听 |
[08:23] | “It doesn’t matter who you vote for, make sure you vote.” | “你投给谁都可没关系 只要确定你有去投票” |
[08:27] | I like the sentiment but I think it does matter who you vote for. | 我喜欢这种情操 但投给谁是很有关系的 |
[08:31] | What if it said”No matter who you vote for, make sure you vote.” | 如果改成“不管你投给谁 只要确定你有去投票” |
[08:34] | What do you think? | 你们觉得如何? |
[08:36] | – Good. | – Good. -很好 -很好 |
[08:37] | – Will? – Yeah. | -威尔? -是的 |
[08:40] | – I’m here for the president. – I admire the president, Sam, I really do. | -我代表总统来这里 -我敬仰总统,山姆,真的 |
[08:44] | – But? – I don’t work for him. | -但? -我不是帮他工作的 |
[08:46] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 |
[08:48] | All right, everyone. Thank you very much. | 好的,非常谢谢你们 |
[08:50] | Carol’s passing out playbooks. Senator, we’ve put you on criminal justice. | 卡萝把教战手册发下去,议员 我们把你放在刑事小组了 |
[08:54] | – Martin, we moved you to welfare, okay. – Sure. | -马丁,你转到福利小组可以吗? -没问题 |
[08:57] | There’s also third-party validator information… | 还有第三人验证资料 |
[09:00] | …as well as names of the reporters you’ll be handcuffed to. | 以及你们将对付的记者名字 |
[09:03] | If it’s not your thing, don’t try to wing it, call somebody over. | 如果不是你们熟悉的议题的就别说 叫别人来应付 |
[09:07] | Surrogate plane leaves at 9. See you tomorrow for pre-game. | 替代飞机九点离开 明天赛前见 |
[09:10] | C.J., could I see you? | 茜洁,我能见你吗? |
[09:12] | And I need Congresswoman Wyatt for just a moment. | 我还要见惠特议员,一下子就好 |
[09:20] | – Bennett’s gonna spin for Ritchie. – I could have told you that. | -班纳特会帮李奇做公关 -我早该看出来的 |
[09:23] | Hang on. No, wait. I did. | 等等,不,我有说过了 |
[09:25] | I find competitiveness feminine in tall women. | 我发现高大女性很有竞争魅力 |
[09:27] | – On defense? – Yeah. What the hell…? | -擅长辩解吗? -是的,搞什么? |
[09:29] | Don’t heckle around with me. | 不要数落我 |
[09:31] | I got a Democrat shilling for Ritchie on defense. I gotta get a guy. A Republican. | 我有个民主党员跑去当李奇的狗腿 现在我得找个共和党的家伙来 |
[09:35] | This is why I’m talking to you. You’re gonna use Albie Duncan. | 这就是我找你来的原因 你要找艾比唐肯 |
[09:38] | – He’ll do it? Duncan? – Yes. | -他会答应吗?唐肯? -会的 |
[09:41] | Look at me. He’s not a little bit crazy? | 看着我 他不是有点疯狂吗? |
[09:43] | Albie Duncan? No, no. A little bit. | 艾比唐肯?不,不 只有一点 |
[09:46] | – Toby… – He’ll be great. See to it. Andy… | -托比 -他会很棒的,去办,安娣 |
[09:48] | I’m crazy about the roundness of your head. | 我真爱死你这光溜溜的大头了 |
[09:50] | – Thank you. Andy? – She’s nervous. | -谢谢你,安娣? -她很紧张 |
[09:52] | – These are won and lost in the rooms. – Not this one. | -这些都是与输赢有关 -这次可不是 |
[09:55] | – You think so? – I know so. | -你这样想吗? -我知道 |
[09:56] | – Don’t get overconfident. – That ship sailed. | -不要太有信心 -船已入港 |
[10:00] | Hey, you wanna know something? C.J. doesn’t like running. | 你想知道一件事吗? 茜洁不喜欢竞选活动 |
[10:03] | – Why not? – Believe it or not… | -为什么呢? -不管你信不信 |
[10:05] | …because it takes time away from helping. | 因为她就没时间去帮别人 |
[10:08] | – I really like that about her, don’t you? – Yeah. | -我就欣赏她这点,你是不是? -是的 |
[10:10] | – Good. Then marry me again. – No. | -很好,再和我结一次婚 -不 |
[10:14] | What else you got? | 你还有什么本事? |
[10:17] | All right, let’s make it interesting. | 好,我们把事情变的有趣味一点 |
[10:19] | Let’s add incentive. | 我们来加上诱因 |
[10:21] | The president wins the debate tomorrow, and you marry me again. | 总统赢了明天的辩论会 你就再嫁给我 |
[10:24] | How about the president wins the debate, he gets elected president again. | 等总统赢了辩论会 他就连任成功如何? |
[10:28] | See that’s the difference between you and me. You’re smalltime. | 这就是你和我的不同 你太小家子气 |
[10:31] | And that’s why the twins are gonna need their father around full-time. | 这就是为什么双胞胎 需要他们父亲全心的照顾 |
[10:36] | Because your thing would be a terrible trait… | 因为你可怕的人格特性 |
[10:39] | A terrible family trait to pass on to little… | 一个可怕的家庭人格特性 会传给小小的 |
[10:42] | …Beatrice and Bluto. | 毕翠丝和布鲁托 |
[10:44] | I’m naming them Beatrice and Bluto now. I don’t care if they’re boys or girls. | 我要把他们取为毕翠丝和布鲁托 我不在乎是男孩或女孩 |
[10:48] | – What do you need? – Back up Albie Duncan. | -你需要什么? -支持艾比唐肯 |
[10:50] | – Is he crazy? – No. No. | -他疯了吗? -不,不 |
[10:53] | No. A little bit. | 不,是有点 |
[10:56] | No. Look, he’s Albie Duncan. | 不,听着,他是艾比唐肯 |
[10:57] | He was in the Eisenhower State Department. He’s brilliant. | 他在艾森豪国务院时代的人 他很杰出 |
[11:00] | He’s respected. He’s a Republican. If he’s crazy, I don’t wanna be sane. | 他受人尊敬,他还是共和党员 如果他疯了,我也不敢神智清楚 |
[11:04] | – You’re not. – Excellent. | -你不疯的 -太好了 |
[11:06] | I’m out of here. | 我要离开了 |
[11:10] | Read Gabe Tillman’s speech to the Stanford Club last night. | 读读昨晚盖比堤门 在史丹佛俱乐部发表的演说 |
[11:13] | You’re gonna think you wrote it. | 你会以为是你写的 |
[11:15] | Only it was somebody better. | 只不过是更行的人写的 |
[11:19] | Someone who will fight for world-class schools. | 有人将努力进入世界级的学校 |
[11:21] | Someone who will take decisions away from HMOs and give them to doctors. | 有人会将健康维护组织的决定权 交回医生手上 |
[11:25] | Someone who will make polluters pay for the pollution they cause here. | 有人会让污染者付出污染的代价 |
[11:29] | What are your plans for the final week? | 选战最后一星期 你们有什么计划? |
[11:31] | Volunteers are going door-to-door. | 义工会去挨家挨户的拜访 |
[11:33] | We’ve got six busloads of AFT and AFL volunteers coming down. | 我们有六部公车会载满来自 全美教师协会等的志工会加入 |
[11:37] | We’ve got six get-out-the-vote rallies in the next six days. | 这六天我们有六场造势大会 |
[11:40] | – We’re in this to win it. Yeah. – Ted Willard. | -我们的目的在赢得胜利 -泰德韦勒 |
[11:42] | Orange County Post-Gazette. | 《橘郡邮报》 |
[11:44] | What happens if that happens? If your candidate wins? | 万一真的发生将会如何? 万一你的候选人真的赢了? |
[11:46] | An election will be held after no more than 90 days. | 九十天内将会举行另一场选举 |
[11:49] | – Does the party have someone in mind? – We’re vetting Wendell Wilkie. | -党有属意的人选吗? -我们目前在调查温得尔维奇 |
[11:53] | – Seriously? – Seriously, one election at a time. Beth. | -真的吗? -真的,一次一次的选,贝丝 |
[11:56] | Sixty percent of residents disagree with the Horton Wilde gun position… | 百分之六十居民反对 荷顿怀尔德对枪枝的立场 |
[12:00] | …which doesn’t distinguish it from many issues important to voters. | 选民还有更多更重要的议题 |
[12:04] | Is the Wilde campaign out of touch? | 怀尔德失去民意基础了吗? |
[12:06] | Sixty percent is six of 10 in a focus group. | 百分之六十就是在一个族群中 十个里的六个 |
[12:08] | We change one mind, it’s a dead heat. We change two, it’s a landslide. | 我们如果再改变一个人就大胜 改变两人就是压倒性的胜利 |
[12:12] | This campaign’s a mechanism of persuasion. | 这次的竞选活动是说服力的较量 |
[12:15] | We’re not asking for a show of hands. Yeah. | 我们不是要跟大家握手而已 |
[12:17] | – June Wheeler, San Jose News. – You’re a long way from home. | -《圣荷西新闻》君惠勒 -你跑很远来的 |
[12:20] | – This is a fun story. – Glad I could help. | -这是很有趣的新闻 -很高兴我能帮忙 |
[12:22] | We’re all sitting here pretending this is a regular press conference. | 我们全坐在这里 假装这是一场一般的记者会 |
[12:25] | And you’re very engaging up there, but your candidate died. | 你也很有气势 但你的候选人过世了 |
[12:29] | So why isn’t this all a little preposterous? | 所以一切是否有点不合理? |
[12:31] | Chuck Webb is a congressman who as chairman of not one… | 恰克韦伯是国会议员 他不只是一个 |
[12:34] | …but two commerce subcommittees… | 而是两个商业委员会的主席 |
[12:37] | …has taken money from companies he regulates. | 他从他控制的公司拿走钱 |
[12:39] | He’s on the board of the NRA, once challenged another congressman… | 他是国家来福枪协会的委员 曾与另一位议员 |
[12:43] | …to a fistfight on the floor over an amendment to make stalkers… | 为了一个修正案而拳脚相向 该案是要让危险份子 |
[12:46] | …submit to background checks before buying AR-15s, AK-57s… | 能在提出背景调查后 有权购买自动步枪 |
[12:50] | …Street Sweepers, MAC-10s, MAC-lls. | 冲锋枪等枪枝,与街头散弹枪 |
[12:53] | He’s joined protests designed to frighten pregnant women. | 他参加旨在惊扰孕妇的示威游行 |
[12:56] | – What’s your point? – There are worse things… | -你的重点是什么? -这世上还有 |
[12:59] | …than no longer being alive. | 比“死”更糟糕的事情 |
[13:00] | You said earlier that the 47th pays more in taxes… | 你曾说第四十七选区支付更多税 |
[13:11] | How you doing? | 你好吗? |
[13:12] | You don’t want to be in San Diego now? | 你不想去圣地牙哥了吗? |
[13:14] | I’d want to be in San Diego. | 我想去圣地牙哥 |
[13:16] | I’m about to head there. I was just at your press conference. | 我要出发了 我只是先来出席你的记者会 |
[13:19] | You guys ready? | 你们准备好了吗? |
[13:21] | Yeah. It’s gonna be great or a disaster, nothing in between. | 是的,不是成功就是灾难 没有中间地带 |
[13:26] | Good. | 很好 |
[13:28] | – So, what is this? – Our contributors gave money to Wilde. | -这是干嘛? -我们的赞助者捐给怀尔德的经费 |
[13:31] | – He’s dead now. – I know. | -他过世了 -我知道 |
[13:34] | And that’s the metaphor. A standard-bearer for a party that’s dead… | 有个隐喻 每一个党的候选人都是死在 |
[13:37] | …in every bedroom community in Southern California. | 南加州的郊区社区 |
[13:40] | – That guy had a point. – Who? | -那家伙提到了重点 -谁? |
[13:42] | The Post-Gazette. He asked if we had a name. | 《橘郡邮报》 他问我们是否有后续人选 |
[13:44] | – You want one yet? – No, not me. Not right now. | -你想要吗? -不,我不要,现在不行 |
[13:47] | – Kay Wilde does. – The widow? | -凯怀尔德想要 -他的遗孀吗? |
[13:50] | Yeah. She wants a Democrat to tell us privately that they’ll run if he wins. | 她希望党私下告诉我们 若他赢了,他们会推人出来选 |
[13:54] | Nobody wants it. | 没有人想要 |
[13:56] | – Do you believe they’re gonna need it? – No. | -你觉得有可能会需要一个新人选? -不 |
[13:58] | Then give her Winston Churchill. What does it matter? | 那就给她温斯顿邱吉尔 有什么关系呢? |
[14:04] | All right, it matters. | 是的,有关系 |
[14:05] | – What are you doing? – I swear to God… | -你在做什么? -我向上帝发誓 |
[14:07] | …I’m trying to win an election. | 我要打赢这场选战 |
[14:09] | I’d think you, of all people, would be able to recognize it when you saw it. | 我想,应该只有你能够认同我 |
[14:15] | All right. | 好的 |
[14:17] | All right. I can get on the 405 if I go straight down there. | 若我直走上405号 公路就能直接到那里了 |
[14:20] | Fourth light. Give them hell tomorrow. | 就从第四个交通号志那边上 明天去痛击他们 |
[14:23] | All right. | 好的 |
[14:25] | – You have more events tonight, right? – Yeah. | -今晚你还有活动,是吗? -是的 |
[14:29] | Your tie doesn’t go. | 你领带不配 (辩论日) |
[14:38] | What are those stripes? They’re gonna blur. | 那些线条是什么? 变模糊了 |
[14:40] | – You like the herringbone? – I think it’ll glow. | -你喜欢箭尾形吗? -我想颜色会发亮 |
[14:42] | – It is. – This is the navy heraldic club. | -是的 -这是海军礼官俱乐部的 |
[14:45] | Any other year. They’re broadcasting in HD Digital now and with the pixels… | 每一年,他们会 用高保真数位画质来播出 |
[14:49] | Anybody, anybody have digital yet? | 有人有数位影像的吗? |
[14:51] | – A solid silk rep. Light mustard. – Not with his coloring. | -是结实的丝质布料淡黄色 -不是他的颜色 |
[14:53] | Okay. So it’s the charcoal and blue. | 好,那就是炭黑和蓝色 |
[14:57] | Yeah, it’s good. Charlie? | 是的,很好,查理? |
[15:00] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[15:03] | – Hey, Charlie. – Hi. You’re starting in the Oval Office. | -嘿,查理 -嗨,你从椭圆形办公室开始 |
[15:06] | – When do you leave? – Now. | -你何时离开? -现在 |
[15:07] | – Good luck. – Tell him. | -祝你好运 -告诉他 |
[15:09] | – Hey. – Good afternoon, Mr. President. | -嘿 -午安,总统先生 |
[15:11] | They’ve chosen a tie. It’s charcoal and blue. | 他们选了领带 是炭蓝色 |
[15:14] | No, I decided to go ahead and wear my lucky tie. | 不,我决定戴我的幸运领带 |
[15:16] | You sure? This tie feels pretty lucky to me. | 你确定吗? 我觉得这条领带会带来好运 |
[15:18] | Then it’s your lucky tie. Why don’t you get mine, we’ll go to the plane. | 那它就是你的幸运领带 你何不去拿我的那条,上飞机了 |
[15:23] | Listen, what do you say I sit in on this meeting. We’ve got time. | 嘿,我们再开会几分钟 我们还有时间 |
[15:26] | What do you say you get into pre-game? Let me worry about this for tonight. | 你就直接进入赛前准备 今晚,这些让我来担心 |
[15:30] | – All right. – Come here a second. | -好的 -过来一下 |
[15:41] | There’s no such thing as too smart. | 没有太聪明这回事 |
[15:44] | There’s nothing you can do that’s not gonna make me proud of you. | 无论你做什么 我都为你感到骄傲 |
[15:50] | Eat them up. | 干掉他们 |
[15:51] | – Game on. – Okay. | -上场了 -好的 |
[15:59] | We’ll go next door. | 我们走下一个门 |
[16:00] | About a week ago we stopped a Qumari ship called the Mastico… | 一周前我们阻止一艘库马 叫做《马斯帝克号》的船 |
[16:04] | …on information that it was carrying 72 tons of weapons and high explosives. | 因为消息指出它装载 七十二顿的武器和爆裂物 |
[16:10] | – Hello. – What do you need? | -哈�� -你需要什么吗? |
[16:12] | Ten words, let me try two. Defense. | 十个字,让我试一试,国防 |
[16:14] | “I will make America’s defenses the strongest in history.” | “让国防成为世界史上最强” |
[16:17] | When we say that are we comparing ourselves… | 我们这样说 是在比较我们自己 |
[16:19] | …to Visigoths adjusted for inflation? | 和西哥德人调整通货膨胀成果吗? |
[16:22] | Crime:”Some crimes are so heinous, so hateful to American values… | 犯罪: “有些罪行源自 憎恨美国人的价值观 |
[16:25] | …that we ought to lock the prisoners up and throw away the key.” | 我们应该监禁犯人 并把监狱的钥匙丢掉” |
[16:28] | – Don’t say yes to that one. – Keep working. | -拜托不要说这句很好 -继续努力 |
[16:31] | And call me every 30 minutes. | 每三十分钟打给我 |
[16:33] | You read Gabriel Tillman’s speech at the Stanford Club? | 你看过盖比尔堤门 在史丹佛俱乐部的演讲稿吗? |
[16:35] | – No. – The governor’s got a new writing staff. | -没有 -加州州长有新的撰稿人员了 |
[16:38] | – Are you gonna call every 30 minutes? – Yeah. | -你每三十分钟会打来吗? -会的 |
[16:41] | – One more drill on the plane. – We’re gonna make you proud. Enjoy it. | -飞机上还有一个演练 -我们不会让你失望的,享受吧 |
[16:45] | Okay. | 是的 |
[16:48] | You stopped a Qumari ship with what, Leo? | 你用什么阻止库马的船,里奥? |
[16:50] | Are we on another crime spree? Why don’t you call…? | 我们陷入另一个犯罪闹剧吗? 你何不叫? |
[16:53] | We stopped them with a warning shot from the USS Austin… | 我们从《奥斯汀号》 发射警告弹阻止他们 |
[16:56] | – Okay. – An LPD San Antonio class warship. | -好的 -一艘圣安东尼奥军舰 |
[16:59] | The weapons were not on their way to the Qumari. | 武器不是要运去库马的 |
[17:02] | They were on their way to the Bahji. | 是往巴基组织的途中 |
[17:04] | If I can’t get everyone else on board with the fact that Qumar is our enemy… | 即使我不能大家都明白 事实上库马是我们的敌人 |
[17:08] | …surely we can all agree that the International Bahji Cell is. | 我们也都能同意 国际巴基组织是我们的敌人 |
[17:11] | Weapons were on their way to the Bahji. The Austin stopped them. | 武器是运往巴基途中 《奥斯汀号》想阻止他们 |
[17:14] | – Qumar’s leveraging the Mastico. – We know this. | -库马是在运用《马斯帝克号》 -我们知道 |
[17:17] | – What do they want? – Yesterday they want missile technology. | -他们想要什么? -昨天他们想要飞弹科技 |
[17:20] | Today they want convicted Bahji operatives… | 今天他们想让那些有罪的 巴基组织成员 |
[17:23] | …let out of U.S. jails. It changes. | 逃出美国监狱 他们随时在改变主意 |
[17:26] | – You’re gonna have to give them some… – I don’t have to do anything. | -你得给他们几个 -我不需要做任何事 |
[17:29] | I’m right, they’re wrong. | 我是对的,他们是错的 |
[17:31] | They’re strong… | 他们很厉害 |
[17:33] | …I’m much stronger. | 我更厉害 |
[17:35] | And what happens tomorrow morning? The president gets on TV… | 那明天上午会发生什么事? 总统要在电视上 |
[17:39] | …makes his case. – We’re not ready. | -做他的大事 -我们不可以 |
[17:40] | – Nowhere near ready. – What happens? | -我们根本没准备 -会怎样? |
[17:42] | Assuming we get around the Boland Amendment… | 假设我们克服博兰修正案 |
[17:45] | …and any potential violations of domestic law and separation of powers. | 与任何可能违反国家法律和 权利法案的规定 |
[17:49] | Forgetting international outcry… | 也不要管国际的强烈抗议 |
[17:50] | …and sticking Arab allies with a choice of loyalties. | 还跟忠诚的阿拉伯盟邦团结在一起 |
[17:53] | You violated the Geneva Convention. | 你还是会违反日内瓦会议 |
[17:56] | – Since when…? – Since Francisco Pizarro. | -自从何时开始? -从西班牙殖民期开始 |
[17:58] | Well, if you’re gonna throw the Swiss in my face. | 如果你只想拿瑞士教训我的话 |
[18:04] | Ali Nissir is at the General Assembly. | 阿里纳西尔现在就在开委员会 |
[18:06] | How hard would it be to quietly get him here tonight? | 我们今晚不动声色的 把他请到纽约这里会很难吗? |
[18:09] | UN diplomats are a little under pay scale. | 联合国外交官的薪资并不高 |
[18:12] | – He’s a reasonable guy… – Is he? | -他是个讲道理的人 -是吗? |
[18:13] | Ali Nissir is what passes for reasonable these days. | 阿里纳西尔传出来的话一点都不合理 |
[18:16] | How hard would it be to get him here quietly tonight? | 今晚不动声色的 把他请到这里会有多难? |
[18:19] | Not hard. | 不难 |
[18:21] | All right. Why don’t you do it, and we’ll talk about the next step. | 好的,你先去办好这件事 我们再讨论下一步 |
[18:30] | – Margaret. – What was that before with 10 words? | -玛格丽特 -以前说“十个字”是什么意思? |
[18:33] | It’s a debating phrase. | 是辩论用语 |
[18:35] | It has to do with making things simpler. | 就是尽量把事情简化 |
[18:39] | Would you get me the National Security Council? | 能打给国安会吗? |
[18:42] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[18:47] | Broadcasting live at 9:00 tonight on the East Coast… | 今晚九点东岸现场直播 |
[18:49] | … and tape delayed on the West Coast. | 西岸录影延迟播出 |
[18:52] | – What’s going on? – Okay. | -有什么事吗? -是的 |
[18:54] | I understand it was the last debate of the first campaign. | 依我所知,那是第一次选举的 最后一场辩论会 |
[18:57] | – Everything all right? – No. | -一切都还好吗? -不 |
[18:58] | Before the debate the president went out to sneak a cigarette. | 辩论会前,总统去外面抽烟 |
[19:01] | – He lit his necktie on fire. – Yes. | -他不小心烧到领带 -是的 |
[19:03] | Josh gave him his, he won, and now it’s his game tie. | 乔西就把自己的给他戴,他赢了 那条领带就变成他的幸运领带 |
[19:06] | It got wrecked by a cleaning solvent we probably shouldn’t use anymore. | 领带被清洁剂洗坏了 我们大概不敢再用了 |
[19:09] | – Did you tell him? – No. But that’s a different conversation. | -你告诉他了吗? -没有,不过这是另一件事了 |
[19:12] | My point is, doesn’t this look like the real one? | 我的重点是,这条看起来 不像原来那一条吗? |
[19:16] | I don’t remember what the real one looked like. | 我不记得原来的什么样子了 |
[19:18] | – Where did you get a tie on a plane? – The neck of a labor secretary. | -你在机上怎么找得到领带? -从一个劳工部长的脖子上 |
[19:21] | What am I thinking? You can’t pull this kind of fake-out. | 我在想什么? 你不能用假的 |
[19:24] | Now it becomes the bad-luck tie. Bad things will happen in that tie. | 会变成厄运领带 不好的事会发生在这领带上 |
[19:28] | No, you gotta face the music and dance alone. | 这种事你要独自去面对才行 |
[19:30] | You know what? I think maybe you and the president are obsessing on the tie. | 我想,也许你和总统 对领带太执迷了点 |
[19:34] | I’m gonna throw this notion out, see if the cat licks it up. | 我要破除怪迷信 你听好 |
[19:38] | I think the president’s performance had actually very little to do with the tie. | 我想总统的表现 与他的领带没什么关系 |
[19:43] | Okay. | 是的 |
[19:45] | – You heard me say it was his game tie? – Yeah. | -你听我说过,那是他的幸运领带? -是的 |
[19:47] | Okay. | 很好 |
[19:52] | Mr. Secretary. | 部长先生 |
[19:53] | Oh, Miss Cregg. | 葛瑞小姐 |
[19:55] | – Thanks so much for helping us out. – Yes. | -很感谢你的帮忙 -是的 |
[19:59] | – Have you ever seen the Moscow Circus? – No. | -你看过莫斯科马戏团吗? -没有 |
[20:02] | Then I have no point of reference to describe… | 那我要形容的 辩论会后的公关宣传 |
[20:05] | …what a post-debate spin room is like. | 就没有可让你参考的东西了 |
[20:07] | I like you. You’re the one I like. | 我欣赏你 你是我喜欢的类型 |
[20:09] | Thank you very much. | 很感谢 |
[20:11] | What happens is you’ll be taken into the room. | 会发生的状况是 你会被带进一个地方 |
[20:14] | A volunteer will walk in behind you… | 一位义工会随后走入 |
[20:16] | …holding up a sign with your name on it. | 拿着一个有你的名字的招牌 |
[20:18] | And the press will surround you. | 记者会围绕着你 |
[20:21] | Is that dignified? | 会很庄严的吗? |
[20:22] | Absolutely not, don’t even hope. | 绝不是,想都不要想 |
[20:25] | They want you to talk about why is a Republican spinning for the president. | 他们会想知道 为何一个共和党员会转向支持总统 |
[20:28] | Nobody is expecting you to say a thing that would embarrass the party… | 没有人会希望你说出 使贵党蒙羞的话 |
[20:32] | …to which you’ve been a loyal and active member. | 你一直是贵党忠诚活跃的党员 |
[20:35] | He’ll be attacked during the debate on China. | 关于中国议题,他会被攻击 |
[20:37] | He’ll have to defend trade goals versus human rights. | 他必需辩护达成贸易目的 与人权的冲突点 |
[20:40] | Trade’s essential for human rights. | 贸易对人权是重要的 |
[20:42] | Instead of isolating them, we make them live by the same global trading rules… | 不要孤立他们,而是要让他们 处于与全球相同的贸易规范 |
[20:46] | …as everyone else and gain 1.2 billion consumers for our products… | 并让十二亿顾客买到我们的产品 |
[20:50] | …and strengthen the forces of reform. | 方可加强改革的力量 |
[20:53] | – That’s it, it’s that simple. – No, it’s not simple. | -就是如此,非常很简单 -不,这不简单 |
[20:56] | – It’s incredibly complicated. – Sure. | -这非常复杂 -当然 |
[20:58] | McGarry’s boy’s over there coming up with greeting cards. | 马加瑞的人 带着一张欢迎卡来 |
[21:01] | – Josh? – Sitting with me… | -乔西? -就坐在我旁边 |
[21:03] | …trying to boil down foreign policy into a 10-word statement. | 设法着用十个字说明外交政策 |
[21:07] | No, no, he’s the 10-word. And believe me, he hates it. | 不,不,他是那十个字的家伙 相信我,他讨厌那样 |
[21:10] | I’ve been at the State Department for 30 years. There’s no right answer. | 我在国务院三十年了 根本没有所谓正确的答案 |
[21:14] | And diplomacy needs all the words it can get its hands on. | 外交需要运用所有的字来说明 |
[21:18] | Plus, he’s from Connecticut. | 此外,他是从康奈迪克州来的 |
[21:22] | Yeah. But the thing is Ritchie’s good at it. | 是的,不过李奇很在行 |
[21:25] | We need to show we have that club in our bag. That’s all. | 我们得表现出 在我们手中握有王牌,就这样 |
[21:28] | What kind of shot do you get with that club? | 你想用这张王牌达成什么效果? |
[21:30] | According to the best people who’ve analyzed polling data… | 根据分析民调资料的专家 |
[21:33] | …there are a million undecideds who’d come to Bartlet… | 有约一百万还未决定的选民 会想投给巴特勒 |
[21:36] | …if he displayed one quality that were more like Ritchie, and we chose this. | 只要他能展现一种略像李奇的特质 我们选择这项分析进攻 |
[21:40] | So for 90 seconds tonight the mountain will come to Mohammed. | 所以今晚有九十秒的时间 我们会主动出击 |
[21:43] | And we’ll pretend the whole thing never happened. | 而且还要假装 什么事都没发生过 |
[21:46] | – It’s incredibly complicated. – Yes. | -这真是非常的复杂 -是的 |
[21:48] | – The answer I just gave you on trade. – It was perfect. | -刚才我针对贸易的说词 -太棒了 |
[21:51] | You know there’s a decent chance I’m full of crap, right? | 你知道我也很会大放厥词的吗? |
[21:54] | – Sure. – Free trade is essential for human rights. | -当然 -自由贸易为人权的基本 |
[21:56] | The end of that sentence is,”We hope. | 句子最后是“但愿如此” |
[21:58] | – Because nothing else has worked.” – But I wouldn’t say that tonight. | -因为其他的方法都没用” -但我今晚不会这样说 |
[22:02] | The president knows Chinese political prisoners are gonna be sewing… | 总统知道中国政治犯得用 |
[22:06] | …soccer balls with their teeth whether we sell them cheeseburgers or not. | 牙齿来缝制足球 不管我们卖不卖汉堡给他们都一样 |
[22:10] | – So let’s sell them cheeseburgers. – Nor, if it were I, would I say that. | -所以我们就卖汉堡给他们 -若是我,我不一定会这样说 |
[22:14] | Let me tell you something, young lady. | 我告诉你一件事,小姑娘 |
[22:16] | Thirty-seven hundred years ago in the Shang Dynasty… | 三千七百年前的商朝 |
[22:19] | …when a king died, his slaves were beheaded. | 当一国之君死了 他的从属都会被斩首 |
[22:22] | The lucky ones. The unlucky ones were buried alive. | 那还算幸运的 不幸的人都会被活埋 |
[22:25] | Political repression? This is progress. | 政治迫害吗? 只是一种演化的过程 |
[22:29] | Still, I think the first answer’s our winner. | 我还是认为第一个答案 是我们的胜利关键 |
[22:32] | So can I find an aide and have her bring you some Schweppes Bitter Lemon? | 需要我请一位助理帮你 拿一杯玉泉甘柠吗? |
[22:36] | No, I’m too steamed. | 不,我精神还很好 |
[22:38] | – Yes, yes, okay. – Good. | -好,好,可以 -很好 |
[22:42] | – Carol? – Yeah. | -卡萝? -是 |
[22:44] | – Go to work. – Yeah. | -去弄 -是的 |
[22:50] | – So is he crazy? – Yes. | -他很疯狂吗? -是的 |
[22:52] | – What do you think? – Well, if we lose… | -你觉得怎样? -如果我们输的原因 |
[22:54] | …because of a 10-word answer then I’m quitting show business. | 是为了一个“十个字”的答案 那我要辞了工作 |
[23:00] | – What do you think? – I think it depends who shows up. | -你觉得呢? -我认为“谁”出现才是关键 |
[23:03] | If it’s Uncle Fluffy we’ve got problems. | 如果现身的是“忘词”大叔 我们就有麻烦了 |
[23:06] | If it’s the president? In his last campaign, his last debate? | 如果是总统本人?出现在 他最后的选举、最后的辩论会呢? |
[23:10] | For the last job he’ll ever have? The president shows up… | 为了他最后一份工作? 总统出现的话 |
[23:13] | …I think it could be a sight to see. I mean, a sight to see. | 我认为将会颇具可看性 我是指,很有可看性 |
[23:17] | What do you think? | 你觉得呢? |
[23:20] | I think you’re going to enjoy yourself tonight. | 我想你们今晚一定能尽情享乐 (晚上八点五十五分) |
[23:36] | – Mr. Ambassador. – Mr. McGarry. | -大使先生 -马加瑞先生 |
[23:38] | You know Jordan Kendall. | 你认识乔登坎朵 |
[23:40] | I do, but I did not know she worked here. | 我认识,但不知道她在这里做事 |
[23:43] | Special counsel to the office of the chief of staff. | 她是参谋长的特别顾问 |
[23:53] | Mr. Nissir… | 纳西尔先生 |
[23:55] | …the president starts his debate in four minutes. | 四分钟后,总统开始辩论 |
[23:57] | I won’t be there, obviously. | 显然地,我无法在场 |
[24:00] | And for me, it’s like missing my brother’s wedding. | 对我来说,就像错过兄弟的婚礼 |
[24:02] | A big Super Bowl or something. | 或盛大的超级杯这类的场合 |
[24:04] | And I’m mentioning this to underline the importance of this conversation. | 我提出此事是要强调 此次会面的重要性 |
[24:09] | You have to turn the boat around. | 你必须将船调头 |
[24:11] | It’s the match being held to the fuse. | 这将会是个导火线 |
[24:14] | I don’t know anything about a boat. | 我不知道什么船的事 |
[24:18] | You’re not getting access to THAAD. | 你们无法进入高规区域防空系统 |
[24:21] | We’re not gonna release Bahji operatives. | 我们不会释放巴基人员 |
[24:24] | And we’re not gonna give you $30 billion… | 我们不会给你们三百亿 |
[24:27] | …to create the Trans-Qumari pipeline. | 去建造泛库马联合王国 |
[24:29] | You have to turn the boat around. | 你必须指示那艘船调头 |
[24:36] | Ladies and gentlemen, please take your seats. | 各位先生、各位女士,请坐 |
[24:39] | The debate will begin in two and a half minutes. | 辩论会即将在两分三十秒后开始 |
[24:42] | We’d like to remind you that this is a live broadcast. | 我们想提醒各位这是现场直播 |
[24:45] | In the event of any technical difficulties… | 若发生任何技术上的障碍 |
[24:47] | … we ask that everyone remain quietly in their seats… | 我们恳请大家 安静坐在你们的位子上 |
[24:50] | … until the issue has been addressed. | 等待问题解决 |
[25:00] | I guess what I don’t understand is this: | 我不了解的是: |
[25:03] | Have I ever exhibited any evidence… | 我有表现出来 |
[25:05] | …that I’d be mad if a tie got ruined? – No, sir. | -如果我的领带毁了,我就会生气? -没有的,先生 |
[25:07] | – No, I’m not that guy. – This tie was special. | -不,我不是那种家伙 -这是很特别的领带 |
[25:10] | Chemicals at the cleaner don’t know that. | 清洁剂里的化学物质 并不知道这档子事 |
[25:12] | President Bartlet and Governor Ritchie to the stage, please. | 请巴特勒总统和李奇州长上台 |
[25:15] | – Josh? -This is their two-minute warning. | -乔西? -他们只剩两分钟就要上台了 |
[25:17] | Yeah. Guys we’re gonna give him the room now. | 是,我们现在要让他上场了 |
[25:19] | Bring it, boss. | 冲啊,老板 |
[25:25] | Nothing but strikes. | 杀到他片甲不留 |
[25:28] | Game on. | 上了 |
[25:43] | I just assumed you wanted to include me. | 我在想,你也想见我一面 |
[25:51] | Good evening from the University of California, San Diego. | (从圣地牙哥的加州大学 向各位道晚安) |
[25:55] | I’m Alexander Thompson. | (我是亚历山大汤普森) |
[25:58] | Well, it’s in the bag. You have someone here to show off for. | 咱们可是全员到齐 你可以让大家开开眼界 |
[26:02] | – My daughters are here? – You kidding? Ellie’s wearing makeup. | -我女儿也在这里吗? -开玩笑?当然了,艾莉还有化妆 |
[26:05] | – I don’t approve of that. – You understand she’s 27, right? | -我不允许 -她已经二十七岁了,知道吗? |
[26:08] | I don’t approve of that either. | 这我也不允许 |
[26:09] | Remember the tie Josh had to give me at the last minute? | 还记得乔西在最后一分钟给我的 那条领带吗? |
[26:12] | Yeah, I heard that happened. | 是的,我听说了 |
[26:14] | Think there’s any point in having the debate? | 觉得那个对辩论有何意义吗? |
[26:16] | There was juice in that. It was in the last seconds. | 那条领带上有很强的能量 那是在最后要命的几秒弄上去的 |
[26:19] | Just the energy getting me out on stage. | 就是那种动能 让我忘情的走上台 |
[26:21] | Well, tough. | 是,世事难预料 |
[26:23] | – Sir? – Yeah. I gotta go. | -先生? -好,我要走了 |
[26:26] | We’ll do mushy later. | 我们待会再来纠缠一下 |
[26:27] | So for now, I just gotta say I love you so much, that my head’s gonna fly off. | 现在,我要说我很爱你 爱到头发昏 |
[26:32] | But more importantly, game on, boyfriend. Let’s go. | 不过更重要的是,游戏开始了 我的爱人,咱们冲吧 |
[26:36] | – Okay. – By the way, I feel bad. | -好的 -此外,我感到难受 |
[26:39] | I don’t think I’ve done enough to help prepare. | 我认为我没帮你准备 |
[26:41] | Why are you telling me this now? | 你现在干嘛跟我说这些? |
[26:45] | – Just because. – Oh, my God. You’re insane. | -只因为 -我的天啊,你疯了 |
[26:49] | Are you…? You’re insane! | 你?你疯了! |
[26:52] | – Charlie! – Thirty seconds, please. | -查理! -还有三十秒 |
[26:55] | – Josh, we need your tie. – What the hell? | -乔西,我们需要你的领带 -搞什么? |
[26:57] | – Take it off! – What happened? | -拿掉! -发生什么事了? |
[26:59] | – My wife cut it off with scissors. – Why? | -我老婆用剪刀剪断了 -为什么? |
[27:02] | – I don’t think we got time, Josh. – Fifteen seconds. | -我们没时间说了,乔西 -十五秒 |
[27:04] | – We got it. – No one’s done camera tests. | -好了 -没有先做试镜 |
[27:06] | – She’s right. Let’s run some. – Right here! | -她说对了,我们快弄一弄 -弄好了! |
[27:09] | Ladies and gentlemen, President Josiah Bartlet of New Hampshire… | 各位先生、各位女士 来自新罕布夏的巴特勒总统 |
[27:14] | – Would you keep it down? …and Governor Ritchie of Florida. | -能小声一点吗? -以及佛州州长李奇 |
[27:18] | Quiet, please. | 请安静 |
[27:36] | The rules for tonight’s debate are as follows: | 今晚的辩论会规则如下: |
[27:40] | A candidate will be asked a question by one of the panelists… | 每一名候选人都会有一名提问人 向他提出一个问题 |
[27:43] | …and he will have 90 seconds to respond. | 他会有九十秒的时间回答 |
[27:45] | His opponent will then have 60 seconds… | 他的对手会有六十秒 |
[27:48] | …with which to ask a question and get an answer… | 针对问题提出质询 |
[27:51] | …though it must be limited to the same topic. | 而且必须限制在相同的主题 |
[27:54] | There will be two minutes for closing statements at the end. | 结束时将会有两分钟的结辩 |
[27:57] | By virtue of a coin toss… | 以丢掷钱币来决定 |
[28:00] | …Governor Ritchie, the first question is for you. | 李奇州长,第一个问题 由你回答 |
[28:04] | – Governor Ritchie, good evening. – Good evening. | -李奇州长,晚安 -晚安 |
[28:07] | The biggest philosophical difference between you and the president… | 你和总统最不同的哲理 |
[28:10] | …is over the role of the federal government itself. | 就是联邦政府角色 |
[28:13] | And whether national problems really have national solutions. | 全国的问题是否真的有 全国性的解决办法 |
[28:16] | – Can you explain your view? – Well, first, let me say good evening. | -你能说明你的见解吗? -首先,我想向大家道声晚安 |
[28:20] | And thank you. It’s a privilege to be here. | 谢谢各位,我很荣幸在此 |
[28:23] | My view of this is simple. | 我的观点很简单 |
[28:26] | We don ‘t need a federal department of education telling us our children… | 我们不需要联邦的教育局 来告诉我们的小孩 |
[28:30] | … have to learn Esperanto, they have to learn Eskimo poetry. | 他们必需学习世界语言 必需学习爱斯基摩诗篇 |
[28:33] | – Eskimo poetry? -Let the states decide. | -爱斯基摩诗篇? -请让各州自行决定 |
[28:35] | Let communities decide on health care. | 健康照顾请让社区自行决定 |
[28:38] | On education. On lower taxes, not higher taxes. | 要教育、要低税率 不要高税率 |
[28:42] | Now, he’s gonna throw a big word at you. | 他会丢给大家一个沉重的大单字 |
[28:45] | Unfunded mandate. He’s gonna say: | “无经费命令” ,他会说: |
[28:47] | “If Washington lets the states do it, it’s an unfunded mandate.” | “如果华盛顿让州政府自己来 就是无经费命令” |
[28:51] | But what he doesn ‘t like is the federal government losing power. | 但他真不喜欢的是 联邦政府会流失权力 |
[28:55] | – Hi. -I call it ingenuity of American people. | -嗨 -我要说,这是美国人民的智慧 |
[28:59] | President, you have 60 seconds for a question and answer. | 总统,你有六十秒质询 |
[29:03] | First, let’s clear up a couple of things. | 首先,我们要澄清几件事 |
[29:05] | “Unfunded mandate” is two words not one big word. | “无经费命令”是很多字 不是一个大单字 |
[29:10] | There are times when we’re 50 states. | 有的时候,我们是五十州 |
[29:12] | And there are times when we’re one country and have national needs. | 有的时候,我们是一个国家 我们全国性的需求 |
[29:16] | The way I know this is that Florida didn’t fight Germany in World War II… | 我知道佛州在第二次世界大战时 并没有对抗德国 |
[29:21] | …or establish civil rights. | 或建立公民权 |
[29:22] | You think states should do the governing wall-to-wall. | 你认为各州应该全面自主的运作 |
[29:25] | That’s a perfectly valid opinion. | 这是个有效率的见解 |
[29:27] | But your state of Florida got $ 12.6 billion in federal money last year… | 可是,你的佛州光是去年 就得到一百二十亿的联邦补助 |
[29:32] | …from Nebraskans and Virginians and New Yorkers… | 这些经费都取自内布拉斯加人 维吉尼亚人和纽约人 |
[29:36] | …and Alaskans with their Eskimo poetry. | 以及读爱斯基摩诗篇的阿拉斯加人 |
[29:39] | Twelve-point-six out of a state budget of 50 billion. | 占五百亿州预算的 百分之十二点六 |
[29:42] | And I’m supposed to be using this time for a question, so here it is: | 这个时间我应该是要发问的: |
[29:46] | Can we have it back, please? | 请问,可以把钱还给我们吗? |
[29:48] | – Game on! – Oh, my God. | -杀啊! -我的天啊 |
[29:51] | Strike them out, throw them out! Anybody want spin? | 把他们三振,干掉他们! 待会儿有人要宣传吗? |
[29:57] | – It’s not gonna be Uncle Fluffy. – No. | -这可不是忘词大叔 -不是 |
[30:01] | Mr. President, the next question is for you. | 总统先生 下一个问题由你回答 |
[30:05] | And the partisan bickering. | 党派性的争议 |
[30:06] | Now I want people to work together in this great country. | 我希望大家在这伟大的国家之内 团结努力 |
[30:09] | That’s what I did in Florida. I brought people together. | 这是我在佛州的作为 我带领人们携手合作 |
[30:12] | That’s what I’ll do as your president. | 这也将是我成为你们的总统之后 所将成就的事情 |
[30:14] | End the logjam, end the gridlock… | 结束阻碍、结束分化的日子 |
[30:17] | …and bring Republicans together with Democrats… | 让共和党与民主党的人们 团结在一起 |
[30:19] | …because Americans are tired of partisan politics. | 因为美国人对党派政治 已经感到厌倦 |
[30:28] | Mr. President? | 总统先生? |
[30:29] | What you did in Florida is bring the right together with the far right. | 你在佛州的作为是 把右派跟极右团结在一起 |
[30:33] | I don ‘t think Americans are tired of partisan politics. | 我不认为美国人对党派政治 感到厌倦 |
[30:36] | They’re tired of hearing politicians… | 他们厌倦的是 |
[30:38] | …diss partisan politics to get a gig. | 政客运用党派政治从中获利 |
[30:40] | I’ve tried it before, they ain’t buying it. | 我以前也试过,他们不买我的单 |
[30:42] | That’s okay, though. | 这也没关系 |
[30:45] | That’s okay because partisan politics is good. | 没关系的,因为党派政治是好的 |
[30:47] | Partisan politics is what the founders had in mind. | 党派政治是我们创国先驱的构想 |
[30:50] | It guarantees that the minority opinion is heard. | 党派政治的理想在于 确保少数人的声音也可以被听到 |
[30:53] | And as a life-long possessor of minority opinions… | 一生作为小党党员的我 |
[30:56] | … I appreciate it. | 我非常感激党派政治的理想 |
[30:58] | If you’re troubled by it, you should know in this campaign… | 如果你还感到不懂 你还得知道在这次竞选活动中 |
[31:01] | …you’ve used the word liberal 74 times in one day. | 你们有一天运用七十四次 “自由”这个字 |
[31:04] | It was yesterday. | 也就是昨天 |
[31:07] | I’m not sure I can watch anymore. | 我不晓得我还能不能看下去 |
[31:10] | No, wait. I can, I can. | 不,等等,我能、我能 |
[31:12] | Israel launched an unwarranted, illegal, unilateral air strike… | 以色列进行一项无预警 非法的、侧面的空袭行动 |
[31:16] | …against the people of Qumar. | 侵略库马的人民 |
[31:18] | The air strike was neither unwarranted, nor was it against the people of Qumar. | 空袭既非无预警 更非侵略库马人民 |
[31:23] | It was against two Bahji terrorist camps. | 该行动�D针对 两个巴基恐怖组织的基地 |
[31:26] | After the Israeli foreign minister was shot down by Bahji operatives… | 是在以色列外交部长 被巴基份子击落后 |
[31:30] | …of, by-the-by, Qumari citizenship… | 哦,对了,还是库马的公民 |
[31:33] | …educated, if we’re gonna use that word, in Qumari madrasahs… | 受过教育,用你们的说法 是受过库马高等学院的教育 |
[31:37] | …and financed by fat members of the Qumari royal family… | 又受到库马富有的王室 家族成员的金援 |
[31:41] | …including the sultan’s brother, Abdul ibn Shareef. | 包括回教头头的兄弟夏利夫在内 |
[31:44] | Zionist propaganda. | 犹太主义者的宣传 |
[31:45] | And we lost a cabinet minister, as well. | 我们也失去了一位部长 |
[31:48] | Yes, and you have the results of joint U.S., U. K… | 是的,而你们也联合英、美 |
[31:52] | …and Qumari search and rescue operations… | 以及库马的搜救部队 |
[31:54] | …that detail the tragic loss at sea. | 发现是个失事于大海里的悲剧 |
[31:58] | Yet your intelligence services seem ready to tell the Arab world it was Israel. | 可是你们的情报局却准备 对阿拉伯世界说,是以色列做的 |
[32:02] | A state that sanctions covert assassination. | 一个专门搞报复行动的国家 |
[32:04] | Of terrorists. | 是报复恐怖分子 |
[32:06] | Are you saying Mr. Shareef was one of them? | 你是指夏利夫先生也是恐怖分子? |
[32:10] | Excuse me, Mr. Ambassador. Leo? | 抱歉,大使先生 里奥? |
[32:17] | You gotta stop it. | 你一定得阻止 |
[32:20] | You gotta turn the boat around. You’re gonna be at war. | 你一定要把船转头 不然会发生战争 |
[32:24] | I can’t play games anymore. I can’t do it anymore. | 我不能再玩游戏了 我受不了啦 |
[32:26] | Ben Yosef gave me the medal of David and 10 hours later he was dead. | 宝尤谢夫颁给我大卫勋章 十个小时后,他就挂了 |
[32:30] | I can’t pretend Qumar’s our quirky ally… | 我不能再把库马 视为我们的虚伪同盟友 |
[32:33] | …whose culture it’s important to be tolerant of. | 他们的文化需要被尊重 |
[32:35] | They’re not wearing wooden shoes. | 他们不穿木鞋 |
[32:37] | I was a soldier. I flew fighters over the DMZ. | 我是个军人,我是个 驾驶战斗机飞越非军事区的人 |
[32:41] | It was incredibly dangerous. | 那可是极度危险的举动 |
[32:43] | What did I do that for? What am I handing to the next guy… | 我为了什么冒性命的危险? 我要如何交接给下一任的人 |
[32:46] | …and to my kid…? – Turn the boat around. | -如何面对我的小孩? -让那艘船调头 |
[32:48] | Do that for the next guy. Do that for Mallory and the president. He’s busy. | 为了下一任的人而做 为了总统而做,他正在忙 |
[32:52] | No, the question is… | 不,问题是 |
[32:54] | … should we focus on 90 percent of the kids who go to public school… | 我们应该着重 百分之九十上公立学校的小孩 |
[32:59] | … or give parents money from the public school budget… | 或从公立学校的预算 拨款给父母 |
[33:02] | … to send their kids to private school at a time… | 让他们送小孩去私立学校 |
[33:05] | … when private schools are turning away kids who can afford it? | 私立学校甚至不是有钱就可进去的? |
[33:08] | Public schools are gonna be the best schools. They’re gonna be cathedrals. | 公立学校将成为最好的学校 他们将会是大家梦寐以求的 |
[33:12] | The answer is a change in the way we finance schools. | 解决之道就是 改变我们补助学校的方式 |
[33:18] | Governor Ritchie, your rebuttal. | 李奇州长,你的抗辩 |
[33:35] | Mr. McGarry… | 马加瑞先生 |
[33:37] | …I think we are both men. | 我想我们都是男人 |
[33:40] | And we both know there’s a charade being enacted here. | 我们都知道 这些都只象征性的游戏 |
[33:45] | I understand Western politics. | 我了解西方的政治 |
[33:48] | And I understand President Bartlet is unable to admit Israel’s complicity… | 我了解巴特勒总统在大选将近之时 无法坦承与以色列共谋 |
[33:52] | …in the death of the sultan’s brother during a close election. | 造成回教皇族成员的死亡 |
[33:55] | So perhaps we could re… | 因此,也许我们能 |
[33:58] | Did I say something funny? | 我说了好笑的事情吗? |
[34:00] | You think the president’s afraid that if he admitted complicity… | 你认为总统会怕坦承共谋 |
[34:03] | …in Shareef’s death, he would lose votes in this country? | 造成夏利夫的死? 他会因而失去选票吗? |
[34:06] | To sweep all 50 states, the president would only need to do two things: | 要横扫五十州选票的话 总统只需做两件事: |
[34:11] | Blow the sultan’s brains out in Times Square… | 一是在时代广场前炸爆 恐怖主义回教头儿的大脑 |
[34:14] | …then walk across the street to Nathan’s and buy a hot dog. | 二是走过街去速食店买热狗吃 |
[34:18] | Mr. Ambassador, you’re gonna turn the Mastico around. | 大使先生 你必须让《马斯帝克号》转弯 |
[34:22] | You are going to cease and desist any disinformation campaign… | 你必须平息并终止 任何将夏利夫的死与以色列 |
[34:25] | …that links the death of Shareef to Israel. | 扯在一起的反情报活动 |
[34:29] | And sometime next year… | 然后明年某个时候 |
[34:31] | …the sultan is gonna propose a Middle East peace plan… | 你们回教头子 将会提出中东和平方案 |
[34:34] | …the Qumar Plan, and win the Nobel Peace Prize. | 就是库马计划 然后他就会赢得诺贝尔和平奖 |
[34:38] | Make your phone call. | 去打你的电话 |
[34:40] | I’ll be waiting. | 我会等你 |
[34:46] | He’s a little hot under the collar, is he not? | 他讲得有点火大 是不是? |
[34:48] | Excuse me. I have a meeting of godless infidels next door. | 抱歉,我得去隔壁 跟那个无神论者开个会 |
[34:53] | Governor Ritchie, many economists have stated that the tax cut… | 李奇州长 许多经济学家表示减税 |
[34:57] | …which is the centerpiece of your economic agenda… | 也就是你经济议题的焦点 |
[35:00] | …could actually harm the economy. | 事实上有害经济 |
[35:02] | – Is now really the time to cut taxes? – You bet it is. | -现在是减税的时刻吗? -那是当然的 |
[35:06] | We need to cut taxes for one reason. | 我们需要减税 只为了一个原因 |
[35:08] | American people know how to spend their money better… | 美国人懂得花钱 |
[35:11] | … than the government does. | 比政府还懂 |
[35:13] | Mr. President, your rebuttal. | 总统先生,你的抗辩 |
[35:21] | There it is. | 来了 |
[35:23] | – What the hell? – He’s got it. | -搞什么? -他想到了 |
[35:26] | That’s the 10-word answer my staff’s been looking for for two weeks. | 这是我的幕僚花两星期 找到的十字标语 |
[35:30] | There it is. Ten-word answers can kill you in political campaigns. | 来了,十个字的标语 就会毁了你的政治活动 |
[35:33] | They’re the tip of the sword. | 这就是文字的力量 |
[35:35] | Here’s my question: | 以下是我的问题: |
[35:37] | What are the next 10 words of your answer? | 你的下一个 “十字”解答是什么呢? |
[35:39] | Your taxes are too high? So are mine. | 你的税率太高?我的也是 |
[35:41] | Give me the next 10 words, how are we gonna do it? | 给我接下来的“十字解答” 我们该怎么做? |
[35:44] | Give me 10 after that, I’ll drop out of the race right now. | 给我一个答案 我会马上退出竞选 |
[35:49] | Every once in a while… | Every once in a while… 每经过一段时间 每经过一段时间 |
[35:52] | … there’s a day with an absolute right and an absolute wrong. | 总是有绝对正确和 绝对错误的日子 |
[35:55] | But those days almost always include body counts. | 但那些日子总是涉及人数的计算 |
[35:58] | Other than that, there aren’t very many unnuanced moments… | 除此而外,领导一个国家 |
[36:01] | …in leading a country that’s way too big for 10 words. | 真的没什么单调的日子 用十个字不足以解答疑惑 |
[36:04] | I’m president of the United States… | 我是美国的总统 |
[36:06] | …not the president of the people who agree with me. | 不只是我的支持者的总统 |
[36:08] | If the left has a problem with that they should vote for somebody else. | 如果左派对此不满 他们应该选别人 |
[36:13] | We begin closing statements with Ritchie. | 我们开始李奇的结辩 |
[36:15] | – I’m gonna make a bold suggestion. – What? | -我要提一个大胆的建议 -什么? |
[36:18] | Let’s not spin. Let’s leave the room. | 我们不要做宣传 我们直接离开这个房间 |
[36:20] | Use experts. Nobody from the campaign, nobody from the White House. | 用专家,不用从竞选活动来的人 不用从白宫来的人 |
[36:23] | – Definitely not us. – Why? | -而且绝对不是我们发言 -为什么? |
[36:25] | There’s nothing left to do. It’s inelegant. | 没有什么可以说了 留下来就太没格调了 |
[36:27] | The punch Ali never gave Foreman when he was down. | 拳王阿里没必要对已经倒下的 福尔曼再来一记重击 |
[36:30] | – Absolutely. – Just a statement. | -正是如此 -只来一点声明 |
[36:32] | The president’s on his way to Washington to get back to work. | 就是总统已尽速回华盛顿去工作 |
[36:35] | There’ll be drinking on the plane. | 飞机上将会举行酒会 |
[36:37] | That shouldn’t be included in the statement. | 这句话不应包括在声明中 |
[36:45] | Trade with China is essential for human rights. | 与中国进行贸易 对人权是重要的 |
[36:48] | By engaging China and making them live by the same global trading rules… | 能激励中国 让他们接受全球共通的贸易规范 |
[36:52] | …as everyone else, we gain 1.2 billion consumers for our products. | 全球都一样,而我们也能 多出十二亿顾客购买我们的产品 |
[36:57] | We strengthen the forces of freedom, the president knows this. | 我们加强自由改革的力量 总统知道 |
[37:00] | Mr. Secretary? | 部长先生? |
[37:01] | – I’m sorry, Miss Cregg, you need me? – I have a question. | -葛瑞小姐,你叫我吗? -我有个问题 |
[37:05] | Isn’t there a decent chance you and the president are wrong? | 你和总统会不会都错了? |
[37:09] | I’m sorry? | 什么? |
[37:11] | I mean, doesn’t he also know Chinese political prisoners… | 我是指,他不是也知道 |
[37:14] | …are gonna sew soccer balls whether we sell them cheeseburgers or not? | 不管我们卖不卖汉堡给中国 他们的政治犯还是得缝足球? |
[37:19] | I mention this because the president just reminded us that complexity isn’t a vice. | 我会提到这点是因为总统 刚才点醒我们,复杂并非罪过 |
[37:26] | You’re the one I like too. | 你也是我喜欢的类型 |
[37:30] | Thank you very much and good night. | 非常感谢大家,晚安 |
[37:40] | It’s over. | 结束了 |
[37:41] | You’ll be back. | 你会再来的 (拉古纳海滩 约凌晨一点钟) |
[38:07] | Tammy, I’d like to buy this old guy a beer. | 泰咪,我想请这老兄 喝一杯啤酒 |
[38:09] | – He had a good night. – Okay. | -他今晚可乐透了 -好的 |
[38:11] | – Thank you. – How does it feel? | -谢谢你 -你觉得如何? |
[38:14] | – Winning? – Yeah. | -胜利的感觉? -是的 |
[38:16] | – Good. – I thought he was gonna fall over… | -很好 -我还以为他会全力 |
[38:18] | …himself trying to be genial. – So did we. | -证明自己的万能来讨好选民 -我们上一次也是这样以为 |
[38:20] | But then, we were convinced by polling that he was gonna be seen as arrogant… | 不过,后来从民调证实 他是被视为傲慢的候选人 |
[38:24] | …no matter what performance he gave in the debate. | 不管他在辩论会上的表现如何 |
[38:27] | And then that morning at 3: 10, my phone rings, it’s Toby Ziegler. | 然后那天在凌晨三点十分 托比齐格打电话给我 |
[38:31] | He says,”It’s a gift that they’re irreversibly convinced that he’s arrogant. | 他说“大家深信他是自大傲慢的 这是一种优势 |
[38:35] | Because now he can be.” | 因为现在他真可自大傲慢了” |
[38:37] | If your guy is seen that way you might as well knock some bodies down with it. | 如果你的人也有这种看法 你也可顺水推舟打倒几个 |
[38:41] | – You don’t fly with the team? – Not this time. | -你不跟着团队飞回去吗? -这次没有 |
[38:44] | I had to return the rental car, that’s why I was glad to get together. | 我必须归还出租车 所以我很高兴还能在一起聚聚 |
[38:48] | One-way charges on rental cars are insane. | 出租车的单程收费真是太疯狂了 |
[38:51] | If everybody drove one-way it’d work out in the wash. What do you think? | 如果大家都开单程就好 就没有污点了,你个人觉得呢? |
[38:55] | Oh, I think every rental car in America… | 我想在美国的每部出租车 |
[38:57] | …would be at the Grand Canyon and the Tropicana. | 都应该在大峡谷 或热带渡假酒店才是 |
[39:00] | Let the campaign fold, man. | 让选战终止了,兄弟 |
[39:03] | – Stay out of the news this week. – I’m sorry. | -这星期不要看新闻 -我很抱歉 |
[39:06] | – Thank you. – Sure. | -谢谢你 -不客气 |
[39:09] | – You grow up in California politics? – I grew up in Brussels. | -你在加州的政治圈成长的? -我在布鲁塞尔长大 |
[39:13] | Why? | 为什么? |
[39:14] | Several members of my family worked at the NATO headquarters. | 我家的几个成员在 北大西洋防卫组织的总部工作 |
[39:18] | You’re not Thomas Bailey’s grandson by chance, are you? | 你该不是汤玛斯贝利的孙子吧? |
[39:21] | I’m his son. I’m the youngest. | 我是他儿子,我是最小的 |
[39:25] | That had to have been a nice Career Day. | 你一定有很棒的亲子日 |
[39:28] | “Hello, I’m Will’s dad, I’m supreme commander, NATO Allied Forces.” | “我是威尔的父亲 我是北约盟军的最高指挥官” |
[39:32] | – Not a lot of kids took your lunch money. – No. | -应该没人会抢你的午餐费 -没有 |
[39:36] | It’s embarrassing, Will. | 这很难堪,威尔 |
[39:39] | There’s a campaign being waged here, and I’m not embarrassed by it. | 这是正当给薪的一个竞选活动 我不觉得难堪 |
[39:44] | There are things being talked about, things you… | 有很人讨论很多事 |
[39:46] | …and the White House believe in. They’ll only be talked about in a blowout. | 有一些你与白宫相信的事 一些只在私人宴会才敢谈的事… |
[39:50] | You know there’s no glory in it. | 一些不光荣的事情 |
[39:52] | And you still come here twice and tell me my guy’s a joke? | 而你还好意思来这里 两度告诉我,我的人是笑话? |
[39:55] | That my people are embarrassing? | 我这里的部属很难堪? |
[39:57] | How many told you to get out of the way for John Hoynes? | 有多少人叫你别去招惹 约翰何尼斯呢? |
[40:00] | The bandwagon was in Texas, the boys were in Nashua. | 德州的花车 还有拿城的那些家伙 |
[40:03] | How many Democrats told you it was embarrassing? | 有多少民主党员告诉你 那是很难堪的? |
[40:06] | – I’m not kidding, how many? – All of them. | -我不是在开玩笑,多少? -所有的人 |
[40:08] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[40:11] | You’re the one who wrote Tillman’s speech. | 你是帮堤门写演讲稿的人 |
[40:13] | – No, I’m not. – At the Stanford Club. Yes, you are. | -不,我不是 -史丹佛俱乐部那篇,是你 |
[40:15] | – I don’t even… I don’t know what… – That’s fine. | -我甚至不,我不知道什么 -没关系 |
[40:19] | But you and I both know different, right? | 我们都了解代笔只是代笔? |
[40:22] | So let’s have some respect for that. | 所以我们都看重此事 |
[40:26] | You’ve ghosted for senators, movie stars. | 你曾帮议员、电影明星代笔 |
[40:28] | I think the king of Belgium one time. Do you say anything? | 我想有一次是帮比利时国王吧 你有说什么吗? |
[40:32] | – No. – Why? | -没有 -为什么? |
[40:34] | – Speechwriters don’t do that. – Yeah. | -讲稿作者不说话 -是的 |
[40:36] | Okay. | 好的 |
[40:38] | I’ll just say it was very good. | 我只是想说写得很好 |
[40:41] | And a number of people think so. Leave it there. | 很多人也这么想 值得流传 |
[40:44] | Except to say that the jokes worked too. | 还得说那些笑话很有效 |
[40:46] | I don’t know who wrote them. | 我不知道谁写的 |
[40:48] | But I know it wasn’t the governor of California. | 但我知道不是加州州长写的 |
[40:53] | You see that girl over there? | 你有看到那个女孩吗? |
[40:55] | The one I thought was your assistant. | 我以为她是你的助理 |
[40:57] | Her name is Elsie Snuffin. | 她的名字是艾尔西史纳芬 |
[41:00] | – What a great name. – Isn’t it? | -很棒的名字 -可不是吗? |
[41:02] | – Why did you tell me that? – She wrote the jokes. | -你为什么告诉我这个? -是她写的笑话 |
[41:05] | – Anyway, you should know about her. – Where’d you find her? | -你应该认识她 -你在哪里找到她的? |
[41:08] | She was the 11 th man on a 10-man writing staff for a sitcom. | 她原来是帮喜剧写剧本 是十人小组的第十一个候补 |
[41:12] | They weren’t using her stuff because it was smarter than the show. | 他们不用她的东西 因为她写东西比那个节目更好 |
[41:15] | But she didn’t know that. | 但她不知道 |
[41:18] | All right. | 好的 |
[41:20] | Thank you for the beer and for the lively conversation. | 谢谢你的啤酒 以及愉快的对话 |
[41:26] | Listen. If you can’t find a Democrat… | 听着,如果你找不到 一个民主党员出来 |
[41:30] | …tell Mrs. Wilde… | 就告诉怀尔德太太 |
[41:33] | – Tell Kay that I’ll do it. – Are you kidding? | -告诉凯我来做 -你在开玩笑吗? |
[41:37] | Tell her I’m a graduate of Princeton and editor of the Duke Law Review. | 告诉她我是普林斯顿毕业的 是《杜克法律月刊》的编辑 |
[41:40] | I’ve worked for congressmen and the D-Triple-C. | 我替众议员还有 民主党国会竞选委员会工作做 |
[41:43] | I have seven years at Gage Whitney. | 我在律师事务所工作过七年 |
[41:45] | I’ve served as deputy communications director and senior counselor. | 我做过通讯副主任和资深顾问 |
[41:50] | Tell her I grew up two streets from here. | 告诉她我是在 离此两条街的地区长大 |
[41:52] | – I’m not gonna ask anyone else. – This is for election night. | -你会是我最理想的人选 -这是大选夜赢才要用的 |
[41:56] | I read about it before then, I’m gonna deny it and we’re through. | 如果我在事前看到这消息 我会否认,然后我们这事就没了 |
[42:00] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[42:06] | – Listen… – We love you. | -听着 -我们爱你 |
[42:08] | Thank you. I’ve gotta get to a bed, but I just wanted to say… | 谢谢你,我要去睡觉了 不过我想说 |
[42:12] | …thanks for the hard work. One more week. | 谢谢大家努力的工作 还有一星期 |
[42:15] | You’re making a lot of people proud. | 你们让很多人感到骄傲 |
[42:18] | And if you get a chance… | 如果大家有机会 |
[42:19] | …read the governor’s speech to the Stanford Club. | 读读州长对史丹佛俱乐部的演讲 |
[42:22] | It’s gonna give you chills. The jokes are particularly funny. | 值得一看,其中的笑话更是有趣 |
[42:26] | Anyway, good luck. | 祝大家好运 |
[42:33] | – Great job. – Thank you. | -做的很好 -谢谢你 |
[42:38] | Good night, Will. | 晚安,威尔 |
[42:44] | Don’t forget your necktie. | 别忘了你的领带 |
[42:46] | Keep it. | 留着 |