时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | Isn’t this a strange time to be moving into your office? | 这时候搬进你的办公室 不会很奇怪吗? |
[00:10] | I’m the 2 a.m. watch commander in the Situation Room tonight. | 我是战情室 凌晨两点的值班指挥官 |
[00:12] | Why didn’t you tell me you worked here? | 为什么没告诉我 你在白宫工作? |
[00:14] | The RNC exits, a dead candidate, a rainstorm. | 共和党团离开,一位候选人过世 外加一场暴风雨 |
[00:17] | I’m at the Hyatt in Newport Beach… | 我在新港海滩的凯悦饭店 |
[00:19] | … with the Horton Wilde campaign, and the place is going absolutely berserk. | 由于荷顿怀尔德的竞选 这里的情况非常混乱 |
[00:25] | Bonnie, Ginger, get me Will Bailey, get me Kay Wilde. Very quickly, please. | 邦妮,金洁,请尽快 打给威尔贝利和凯怀尔德 |
[00:29] | – You’re the nominee. – There isn’t a nominee. | -你是被提名人 -没有被提名人 |
[00:31] | – Everyone’s on the ballot. – Is there another Democrat? | -大家都还在选票上 -有任何民主党员吗? |
[00:34] | – No. – You’re the nominee. | -没有 -你是被提名人 剧名:北极雷达 |
[00:54] | – Good morning, sir. – What’s doing? | -早安,先生 -有什么事吗? |
[00:56] | You’re going to hear a story this morning. | 今天早上有个故事 要说给你听 |
[00:58] | Am I a character in it? | 我是里面的角色之一吗? |
[01:00] | I suppose that’s up to you. | 看你怎么认定了 |
[01:01] | Navy pilot lieutenant commander Vickie Hilton has been arrested… | 一位海军少校飞行员 维琪希尔顿 |
[01:05] | …by the military police and charged by the judge with having an affair… | 遭军事警察逮捕并被法官 |
[01:09] | …with a married officer, an inferior officer, a lieutenant j.g. | 以其与一已婚下属上尉 发生婚外情罪名遭起诉 |
[01:13] | I don’t see being a character. | 没看见我的角色何在 |
[01:15] | – Well, heads up anyway. – Thank you. | -总之请小心点 -谢谢你 |
[01:16] | – Good morning, sir. How’d it go? – It could’ve gone better. | -早安,情况如何? -有更好的处置方法 |
[01:20] | I didn’t think adultery was against the uniform code. | 我不认为通奸违反军事纪律 |
[01:23] | – We’re talking about Vickie Hilton? – It’s against military law? | -我们是在谈维琪希尔顿吗? -这件事违反军法吗? |
[01:26] | No. They don’t like fraternization, but it’s not the affair… | 不,他们不喜欢亲昵的感觉 但非因外遇本身的问题 |
[01:29] | …it’s failure to follow orders. – To stop? | -是不服从命令的关系 -服从停止热恋的命令吗? |
[01:31] | – Yeah. – What can she get? | -是 -她会有什么处罚? |
[01:33] | – Jail for two years. – For failure to follow an order? | -监禁两年 -光是不服从命令吗? |
[01:36] | – Sure. – We should have that here. | -当然是 -我们这里也该这样办 |
[01:48] | – Morning, Mr. President. – Mr. Secretary, ladies and gentlemen. | -早安,总统先生 -各位部长,各位女士和先生 |
[01:53] | And welcome to the final cabinet meeting of Bartlet One. | 欢迎参加最后一次 巴特勒第一任的内阁会议 |
[01:57] | I don’t know if this is true, but a presidential historian told me… | 不知道是不是真的 但总统史学家告诉我 |
[02:00] | …that this was the most stable Cabinet since Hoover’s… | 这个内阁是继胡佛总统之后 最稳定的 |
[02:04] | …which is nice, but think how many other jobs were really available. | 这很不错,但想想看 外面还有多少工作机会 |
[02:09] | But here are facts: | 以下是实证: |
[02:11] | You created over nine million new jobs… | 你们创造了超过九百万个 新工作机会 |
[02:14] | …and the highest home ownership rate on record. | 有史以来最高的 自有住宅持有率 |
[02:17] | More than 150 new trade agreements. | 超过一百五十个 新的贸易协定 |
[02:20] | You created the largest expansion of college aid since the G.I. Bill… | 创造了自退伍军人法案后 最大规模的大学补助方案 |
[02:25] | …cleaned up over 500 toxic waste dumps… | 清除了超过五百个毒物废弃场 |
[02:29] | …and you did it all while eliminating 16,000 pages of federal regulations. | 在此同时,你们清除了 一万六千页的联邦条款 |
[02:35] | Not bad for government work. | 政府的工作成效不错 |
[02:37] | Thank you. | 谢谢你们 |
[02:55] | I’ll add my thanks, and I’ll need your letters of resignation by 7:00. | 加上我的感谢,七点前 请你们交出辞呈 主演:罗伯洛 主演:杜希尔 主演:艾莉森詹尼 主演:珍妮尔摩隆奈 主演:里察薛福 主演:约翰史宾塞 主演:布雷迪威佛德 主演:马丁辛 |
[03:47] | There have been more Shehab missile tests. Is the White House concerned? | 近来有较多的喜贺飞弹测试 白宫感到关切吗? |
[03:51] | We are. I think all the Bahrain signatories are. | 是的,我想所有巴林的签约国 都会关切此事 |
[03:53] | We’re expressing that concern through the appropriate channels. John? | 我们正透过适当管道 表达我们的关切,约翰? |
[03:57] | Can you give us a preview of the APEC address? | 总统对亚太经合会的致辞 能先给我们看吗? |
[04:00] | He’s been working out some new material… | 他一直在准备新的题材 |
[04:02] | …and it has absolutely been destroying on the campuses. | 不过完全被学校的事破坏了 |
[04:05] | Showtime will have their cameras at APEC to record it… | 众家媒体会在亚太经合会上 录下 |
[04:08] | …for the president’s one-hour special called Bartlet: In the Thick of lt. | 总统一小时的特别报导 就叫《巴特勒:日正当中》 |
[04:12] | – So no. – No. I’ll finish with a little housekeeping. | -所以不行 -结束前,我要特别提醒大家 |
[04:15] | For any who don’t know, in a two-term presidency, as a matter of courtesy… | 也许有人还不清楚,连任的任期 有一种谦恭的作法 |
[04:19] | …the president’s Cabinet resigns without being asked… | 总统的内阁官员不经提示 就会提出总辞 |
[04:22] | …giving the president the option of hiring them, rather than firing them. | 好让总统选择再雇用他们 而非解雇他们 |
[04:26] | Those resignations will be submitted today. That’s all. Thanks. | 那些辞呈今天将会提出 今天就到此为止,谢谢 |
[04:31] | – C.J.? Can we talk? – Yeah. Sure. | -茜洁?我们能谈一下吗? -是,当然可以 |
[04:33] | – About what? | – About what? -关于什么事? -关于什么事? |
[04:35] | – What’s wrong? – Seats. What happened? | -关于什么事? -关于什么事? -怎么了? -座位,到底怎么了? |
[04:37] | I moved the news magazines to the fourth row. | 我把《新闻杂志》移到第四排 |
[04:39] | – I noticed. Why? – It isn’t a thing, Mitch. | -我注意到了,为什么呢? -没理由的,米其 |
[04:41] | There are cameras in here framing part of the gallery. | 这里有很多摄影小组 占满了一部份的座位 |
[04:44] | News magazines aren’t here every day, so they get empty seats. | 《新闻杂志》并非每天都来 所以他们的座位有时会空着 |
[04:48] | – We’re in the front row. – We’re safe after row three. | -我们是第一排的 -第三排以后很安全 |
[04:50] | – So I put you guys in four. – It’s a slap in the face. | -所以我安排你们在第四排 -这是报复行动 |
[04:53] | – I certainly didn’t mean it as one. – It is. | -我没有那个意思 -是那样的 |
[04:55] | Mitch, I put you in the very first row I don’t care about. | 米其,我可以把你安排在第一排 我无所谓 |
[04:58] | Of the things I don’t care about, I put you right up front. I’ll see you later. | 制片:尼尔海恩二世 我也不在乎安把你排到前头来 我们再见 |
[05:03] | You should amend that in a statement to say that the resignations are effective… | 制片:保罗瑞福 你应该修改声明 指出 |
[05:08] | …whenever they are effective. – I did. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 -辞职即时生效 -我改了 |
[05:10] | He’ll remember he doesn’t say a word about labor without running it past AFL? | 没提过不经劳工联合会任用劳工的事 他记得吧? |
[05:14] | – Is he? – Yeah. | -是吗? -是的 |
[05:16] | He’s gotta go door-to-door. He hasn’t lived there since he was 18. | -是吗? -是的 他得挨家挨户拜访 他十八岁后就离开那里了 |
[05:18] | – He knows. – What about high school snapshots? | -他知道 -高中拍的照呢? |
[05:21] | He knows. | 他知道 制片:李维林威尔斯 编剧:艾伦索金 |
[05:30] | You’re taking the Lakers banner? | 你要拿走湖人队的旗帜? |
[05:32] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[05:34] | There’s a shortage of them in Southern California? | 南加州有缺货吗? |
[05:37] | – Leave it, and leave the stapler… – It’s a West Wing office. | -放着,钉书机也留下 -那也是个白宫办公室 |
[05:40] | – Someone’s gonna use it. – And they might need a stapler. It’s ours. | 导演:约翰大卫寇尔斯 -有人会用到钉书机 -可能,钉书机是我们的 |
[05:46] | Right. | 对 |
[05:50] | You’ve logged a lot of miles in the last couple of weeks. | 你好几个星期都远在千里外 |
[05:53] | Well, I had to go get nominated, and then set up the office… | 我必须得到提名 然后再成立竞选办公室 |
[05:56] | …and then meet every member of the California Democratic Party. | 再和加州每位民主党成员会面 |
[06:00] | Listen, there’s no way I’m gonna be able to help… | 我可能无法再帮你的忙 |
[06:03] | …which is worse for me than it is for you. | 此事,对我的影响 比对你更糟 |
[06:05] | I wasn’t counting on it. | 我没料到会这样 |
[06:07] | – You gonna use Michael? – From the staff? | -你要用麦克吗? -我们的工作人员吗? |
[06:09] | – Yeah. – Michael’s who you use… | -是的 -麦克是用来 |
[06:11] | …when you need brief remarks to whoever… | 向某某人做简短陈述 |
[06:14] | …wrote the check we couldn’t turn down. | 就是向那些我们无法拒绝的金主 |
[06:16] | What about Jerry? | 那杰瑞呢? |
[06:18] | Jerry’s who you use when you can’t get Michael. | 找不到麦克时 杰瑞是候补 |
[06:21] | There’s no one on the speechwriting staff who can do this. It’s okay. | 写演讲稿的人员之中 无人能取代你的工作,没关系 |
[06:25] | That’s a big job to do by yourself. | 你得自己包办这大工程了 |
[06:29] | – You’re gonna remember the local AFL? – Yeah. | -你会记得劳工联合会的事吧? -会的 |
[06:31] | – Gotta go door-to-door. – I know. | -要挨家挨户的拜访 -我知道 |
[06:33] | You were 18 when you lived there. | 你住在那里时才十八岁 |
[06:36] | You want a hug? | 想来个拥抱吗? |
[06:39] | Put the banner back. | 把旗帜放下 |
[06:41] | I’ll see you next week. | 我们下周见 |
[06:54] | There are some new people. | 白宫有一些新人进来 |
[06:56] | Cabinet Affairs installed temps for staff during the vetting period. | 内阁事务在审核期间 安排一些临时人员 |
[06:59] | – Which is good. – But? | -很好 -不过? |
[07:02] | – I’m not one to give fashion advice… – You’re not. | -我不是专门提供流行点子的人 -你不是 |
[07:05] | – But one of them… – Sorry. | -但他们其中有一个人 -抱歉 |
[07:06] | One of them is wearing… | 有一位戴着《星舰奇航》的徽章 |
[07:10] | …a Star Trek pin. | 《星舰奇航》的徽章 |
[07:12] | – Is today a special Star Trek holiday? – How the hell would I know? | -今天是《星舰奇航》特别日吗? -我怎么知道? |
[07:16] | Okay, well, then would you find out and if it’s not… | 那你可以去查查,如果不是 |
[07:20] | People walk through here, and it’s not the most… | 这里人来人往的 这东西可不是 |
[07:23] | …confidence-inspiring sight to see in an employee, so ask her to… | 适合戴在员工身上激励人心的 所以,麻烦她 |
[07:26] | – It’s a her? – Yeah. I have my briefing memo? | -是个“她”吗? -是,我的简报备忘录好了吗? |
[07:29] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[07:31] | Hang on. I’m doing you a favor, now you have to do me one. | 等等,我在帮你的忙 现在你要帮我一个忙 |
[07:34] | You’re there, but you’re not getting it. | 你是进场了,可是你还不明白 |
[07:36] | When it’s something you’re paid to do, that’s not a favor. | 帮我是你的职责所在 是有给薪的,那不叫帮我忙 |
[07:41] | – What do you got? – Nancy McNally has a new military aide… | -你要我帮什忙? -南西麦纳利手下有位新人 |
[07:44] | …named Jack Reese. We’ve talked a few times. Ask him if he likes me. | 叫杰克瑞斯,我们谈过几次话 问他是否喜欢我 |
[07:49] | Wow, I’m definitely not gonna do that. | 我绝对不做这种事 |
[07:52] | How many girls have I gotten for you? | 我替你钓过多少个女孩了? |
[07:54] | Aren’t these women who’ve said to you, “Is that Josh Lyman?” | 你是指问你 “那是乔西赖曼吗”的那些女士? |
[07:57] | – Yes. – And you’ve said…? | -对 -而你都说? |
[07:59] | – Yes, every time. – I’ll properly ID you for him no problem. | -对,每一次都有说 -我会去跟他聊到你的身份,可以 |
[08:02] | Just a bit. All you have to do… | 一点点就好,你只要 |
[08:04] | …is introduce yourself and remind him that I work for you. | 去对他自我介绍自己 再提起我是替你工作的人 |
[08:07] | I can’t, Potsie. Ralph and I are double dating with the Dubrusky twins. | 不行,莱夫跟我正忙着跟 杜伯斯基双胞姐妹在约会 |
[08:12] | I am asking for something very little, and you know how lame I am at this. | 我只是请你帮我很小的忙 你知道我对这种事很笨拙的 |
[08:16] | That’s true. | 那倒是 |
[08:17] | – That was for the fashion… – Yes. | -流行的事,我可以帮你 -好 |
[08:19] | – You’ll do it? – What are you doing here? | -你会去帮我吗? -你在这里做什么? |
[08:21] | Hey. She’s got an appointment with you. | 嘿,她要跟你开会 |
[08:24] | We’re running about 15 minutes behind. | 我们约在十五分钟后开始 |
[08:26] | – At 10:00? That’s a half-hour ahead. – We’re very proud. | -十点吗?那还有半小时 -我们为此骄傲 |
[08:29] | – What’s this about? – You’ll do it? | -开什么会? -你会帮我吗? |
[08:31] | Yes. I know what the meeting’s about. | 好,我知道开什么会 |
[08:33] | It’s about Vickie Hilton. | 是关于维琪希尔顿 |
[08:36] | I’m here in no official capacity, and I’m wielding nothing… | 我不是以官方立场来的 也不是要来影响什么的 |
[08:39] | …but the League of Professional Women asked me if I could help… | 但专业女性联盟请我来帮忙 |
[08:42] | …get them time with the president. | 让他们能排时间和总统谈谈 |
[08:45] | There’s no way the White House is gonna get involved. It’s a military thing. | 白宫决不涉入此事 这是军队里的事 |
[08:49] | Civilians run the military. Not only is it okay to get involved… | 管理军队的是公民 不但涉入没问题 |
[08:52] | …it’s the law. | 这还是法律的保障 |
[08:54] | The commander in chief chooses not to overrule his commanders. | 三军总司令决定 不要干预下属的决定 |
[08:58] | He chooses without hearing informed argument? | 他决定不听取舆论? |
[09:00] | Yes, because then when he says no, I’ve got a problem with women. | 是的,因为他说了不行 我就会惹上女人的麻烦了 |
[09:05] | My friends and I can give him a problem with women right now. | 我的朋友和我 现在能就给他制造女人的麻烦 |
[09:08] | – What happened to”wielding nothing”? – I forgot women got him reelected. | -不是说“不来影响什么”吗? -我忘了,女人的票让他当选的 |
[09:12] | – Evidently you did too. -“Evidently you did too.” | -显然你也忘了 -“显然你也忘了” |
[09:22] | I met her last night. This is a special girl. I want to speak up for her. | 昨晚我见到她,很特别的女孩 我想替她说话 |
[09:28] | – We’ll talk in 15 minutes. -“We’ll talk in 15 minutes.” | -我们谈十五分钟了 -“我们谈十五分钟了” |
[09:31] | – Shut up. – You shut up. | -住口 -你住口 |
[09:33] | Oh, God help me some days. | 哦,上帝可怜我这老人 |
[09:48] | You really don’t have to do that anymore. | 你们真的不用这样子 |
[09:52] | – Hey. | – Hey. -嘿 -嘿 |
[09:54] | Where you going? What’d you settle on? | -嘿 -嘿 你去哪里? 你决定去哪里? |
[09:56] | – Nice. – Excellent. | -尼斯 -很好了 |
[09:58] | I like to stay at the Hotel Beau Rivage, but I think that’s a little pricey for you. | 我会想住美岸旅馆 我想对你会有点贵 |
[10:02] | Actually, I’m staying at the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild at Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat. | 我要住在圣洁卡普费拉的 艾夫茹思德别墅 |
[10:07] | It’s not a hotel, I guess, quite so much as it’s, well, a castle. | 我想那不是一家旅馆 可能比较像城堡 |
[10:11] | – Yeah. This is a family connection? | – Yeah. -又是家族的吗? -是的 |
[10:13] | – All of Europe is for you, isn’t it? – Parts of Asia. | -整个欧州都有你的家族吗? -有些在亚洲 |
[10:17] | – When’s the plane leave? – Three hours. | -飞机什么时候起飞? -再三小时 |
[10:19] | Remember to put the county clerk in the boat… | 记得把郡书记员拉到同一艘船 |
[10:22] | …remember Nina Mercer and light rail. | 记得妮娜玛瑟和轻轨捷运 |
[10:24] | Listen, I wouldn’t ask you to postpone if it wasn’t important. | 听着,如果不重要 我不会要求你延期 |
[10:29] | When did you ask me to postpone? | 你何时要求过我延期? |
[10:31] | I’m obviously about to right now. | 很明显地,现在就是了 |
[10:32] | Okay, well, then your shoelaces are untied and I’m hauling ass. | 很明显地,现在就是了 好,你的鞋带没绑 我要逃之夭夭了 |
[10:36] | Toby Ziegler needs your help on a speech for the president. | 托比齐格 需要你帮总统写演讲稿 |
[10:39] | You have an OEOB full of speechwriters. | 你在旧办公大楼里 有一屋子写演讲稿的人 |
[10:41] | Not everybody there does this kind of speechwriting. | 并不是每个人 都能写这种演讲稿的 |
[10:44] | At this moment, not anybody there does this kind. | 目前,那里没有人能写这种的 |
[10:47] | – You’re kidding. – No. | -你在开玩笑 -不 |
[10:48] | – Maybe you’ll do something about that? – I don’t work there… | -你在开玩笑 -不 -也许你能做些什么? -我不在那里了 |
[10:52] | …at the moment. – I won. I’m sorry. | -目前不在 -我赢了,我很抱歉 |
[10:54] | – How many times do I have to say it? – You’re not done yet. | -我要说多少次? -你还没完 |
[10:58] | It’d be a privilege to write for the president… | 替总统写演讲稿 是很光荣的事 |
[11:00] | …but I’m just too tired to do it well. | 但我太累了,没法做好 |
[11:03] | This was a really hard campaign. A guy died from it. This campaign had fatalities. | 这次的选举很难,死了一个人 这次的选举有死亡事件 |
[11:08] | When is the president giving the speech? | 总统什么时候发表演说? |
[11:10] | January 20th. | 一月二十日 |
[11:12] | The president’s giving two speeches the 20th? | 总统二十日发表两次演说吗? |
[11:15] | No, just the inauguration. | 不,只是就职典礼的演说 |
[11:18] | Sure. And Toby wants me? | 当然,托比要我吗? |
[11:21] | Yeah, because of the Tillman speech. | 是的,因为堤门的演讲稿 |
[11:24] | You’re flying in that direction. I thought you could meet in Washington… | 你反正要往那个方向飞 我想你们可以在华盛顿见个面 |
[11:27] | …and meet with Toby. | 与托比见面 |
[11:29] | – Yeah. – I’ll set up the appointment. | 与托比见面 -好 -我会约定见面时间 |
[11:31] | I’ll change my flight. | 我会调整我的班次 |
[11:37] | – Give this to Toby when you get there? – Yeah. | -到的时候,这个转交给托比? -好的 |
[11:44] | The latest talks, would you say they show a shift by the White House… | (星期二) 从最近的谈话 你觉得白宫是否偏离 |
[11:48] | …away from containing greenhouse gas? | 对温室气体释出的立场? |
[11:50] | No. The president’s fully committed to Kyoto… | 不,总统对京都承诺 |
[11:53] | …and thinks it’s time we adapt to the impact of greenhouse gases. | 并认为我们应该适应 温室气体的效应 |
[11:56] | – Mark? – Commander Vickie Hilton is quoted… | -马克? -引述维琪希尔顿少校的话 |
[11:58] | I’m gonna stop you and direct you to the Pentagon. Mitch? | 我要停止这个话题 请你回到五角大厦主题,米其? |
[12:01] | C.J., I wanted to ask about your reshuffling of the seats. | 茜洁,我想问 有关重新排列座位的事 |
[12:05] | Well, we discussed that, but if you want to talk more… | 我们讨论过了 你如果还想再谈 |
[12:08] | – You made a unilateral decision. – It’s my house. | -你做了片面的决定 -这是我管辖的地方 |
[12:10] | But I consulted with the White House Correspondents Association. | 但我请教过白宫通讯协会 |
[12:14] | You did it because you don’t like our coverage. | 你会这样子 是因为你不喜欢我们的报导 |
[12:17] | Or your attitude, but that’s not why. Thank you. | 或你的态度 但这不是原因,谢谢你 |
[12:20] | – Thank you, C.J. – Thanks, C.J. | -谢谢你,茜洁 -谢谢,茜洁 |
[12:26] | – Okay, I’m going to see Fitzwallace. – Yeah. | -我要去见费兹华利斯 -好的 |
[12:29] | Hey, I see she’s not wearing the pin anymore. Thanks. | 嘿,我看她没戴徽章了 谢谢 |
[12:32] | She was worked up about it. | 这件事她还没完 |
[12:34] | – Why? – I don’t know. | 这件事她还没完 -为什么? -我不知道 |
[12:37] | All right, hang on. | 好吧 |
[12:42] | – Hi, I’m Josh Lyman. – Janice Trumbull. | -嗨,我是乔西赖曼 -珍妮丝川布 |
[12:45] | I wanted you to take off the pin, just around the White House. | 我希望你在白宫走动的时候 拿掉徽章 |
[12:49] | – You understand. – I’m appealing your request to Stacy. | -请你明白 -我正向史黛西上诉 |
[12:52] | – I’m sorry? – My supervisor is Stacy. | -什么? -我的主管是史黛西 |
[12:56] | Right, except Stacy works for me. | 没错,不过,史黛西是我的属下 |
[12:59] | Okay, well, you got the cards… | 好,你有权 |
[13:01] | …but Star Trek and the entire Starfleet series… | 但《星舰奇航》 这整个太空船的影集 |
[13:04] | …is about honor, loyalty and civic duty. | 就是在谈荣耀、忠诚 国民义务 |
[13:06] | If you don’t think these characteristics should be displayed here, that’s sad… | 如果你不觉得这些特性 应该呈现在此,就太可悲了 |
[13:10] | …but I wouldn’t expect you to understand those kinds of things. | 但我不期望 你能了解这种事情 |
[13:14] | Anything else? | 还有别的事吗? |
[13:17] | No. | 没有 |
[13:20] | See what I mean? | 懂我的意思了吗? |
[13:22] | – What? – She is… | -什么? -她是 |
[13:24] | …well, one of the special people. – Yeah. | -什么? -她是 -很特别的人 -是的 |
[13:27] | She’s taken off the pin. We’re gonna let it be. | 她拿掉徽章 我们就算了 |
[13:30] | I’m assuming you haven’t talked to him yet? | 我猜你还没对他说? |
[13:32] | Right. What do you think about Vickie Hilton? | 是的,你对维琪希尔顿的事 有何看法? |
[13:35] | – You know what I think. – No, I mean… | -你知道我的想法 -不,我是指 |
[13:37] | …whether it’s right for us to be involved. | 我们应不应该涉入这件事 |
[13:39] | That’s a harder question. I’ve been thinking… | 这是个困难的问题 我近来一直在想 |
[13:42] | You’ve gotta go faster next time. | 下次你要说快一点 |
[13:44] | – I’m here already. – Yeah. | -我已经到这里了 -是 |
[13:49] | Mr. Chairman, thank you. I hope you haven’t been waiting. | 主席先生,谢谢你 希望你没有等太久 |
[13:53] | No, I never get to read the sports section anymore. | 不,我还没读到体育版 |
[13:57] | – I think I know what this is about. – Yeah. | -我猜得到是什么事 -是的 |
[14:00] | There’s gonna be pressure from women for the president to intercede… | 妇女团体将会向总统施压 请他介入调停 |
[14:04] | …and I was hoping we could intercede without involving him. | 希望能在不牵涉到他的情况之下 我们自行调停 |
[14:08] | These things are handled at the commander’s level in the Navy. | 这些事件在海军 是由指挥官层级处理的 |
[14:11] | I wouldn’t step in unless it’s the president’s pleasure to order me. | 除非是总统对我施压下命令 否则我不出面干涉 |
[14:14] | I understand. | 我了解 |
[14:17] | I guess, also, the thing is that she isn’t just any pilot. | 这件事,我想不只因为 她是飞行员的身份 |
[14:23] | She’s like Jackie Robinson. She’s busted a lot of barriers. | 她就像贾姬罗宾森 她破坏许多规矩 |
[14:26] | The first woman at Miramar, first woman to fly the F-14 Tomcat… | 她是第一个上美丽华基地的女性 第一位F14战斗机女驾驶 |
[14:31] | …she teaches on an F-14… | 她在教战斗机 |
[14:33] | I guess I don’t have to | 我不需要向你介绍她的履历 |
[14:35] | No. But could you tell me more about Jackie Robinson and breaking barriers? | 不用,不过你能多说一些 贾姬罗宾森和她破坏规矩的事吗? |
[14:47] | Just out of curiosity, if you could, would you save her? | 纯属好奇,如果你能干涉 你会救她吗? |
[14:50] | No. I’d discharge her dishonorably… | 不会,我会以不名誉罪名 将她免职 |
[14:53] | …and I’m sure that’s gonna happen. | 我相信结果就是这样 |
[14:57] | I have to tell you, it just doesn’t seem right to me. | 我必须告诉你 我觉得这样做不对 |
[15:01] | I know it doesn’t. | 你的感觉我知道 |
[15:02] | You know I have all the respect in the world for you? | 你知道我一直很尊敬你吗? |
[15:05] | – Yes. – And if I didn’t… | -知道 -如果我不尊敬你本人 |
[15:07] | …I’d respect the uniform, the rank and position. | -知道 -如果我不尊敬你本人 我也会尊敬制服、阶级 以及职位 |
[15:10] | What is it, son? | 干什么呢,孩子? |
[15:12] | I feel like I have to go to Leo. | 我觉得我得去找里奥 |
[15:14] | Good. That’s the way it’s supposed to work. | 很好,原该如此运作 |
[15:52] | Yeah? | 谁? |
[15:54] | Excuse me. They told me to knock on the door. I’m Will Bailey. | 打扰了,他们要我敲门 我是威尔贝利 |
[15:59] | – Oh, we have an appointment, right? – Yeah. | -我们有约吧? -是的 |
[16:01] | Come on in. | 请进 |
[16:05] | – Sit down. – Thanks. | -请坐 -谢谢 |
[16:09] | – Will Bailey. – Yes. | -威尔贝利 -是的 |
[16:13] | So you want a job on the speechwriting staff. | 你想找一份 撰写演讲稿的工作 |
[16:16] | – I’m sorry? – A job on the speechwriting staff? | -说什么? -撰写演讲稿的工作吗? |
[16:19] | No. | 没有 |
[16:22] | – I’m sorry? – I don’t want a job on the staff. | -什么? -我不想当白宫里的职员 |
[16:25] | – You’re Will Bailey? – Yes. | -你是威尔贝利? -是的 |
[16:27] | Sam told me you wanted to see me about a job on the speechwriting staff. | 山姆告诉我你想和我谈 一个撰写演讲稿的工作 |
[16:31] | Well, he told me that you wanted help with the inauguration. | 他告诉我,你需要人帮忙 撰写总统的就职演说 |
[16:35] | – He did? – Yeah. | -他这样说的? -是 |
[16:38] | Sam’s doing a little matchmaking. | 山姆在牵红线 |
[16:42] | I’m fine doing this by myself. | 我自己就可以做得很好 |
[16:46] | – That’s it? – Yeah. | -就这样? -对 |
[16:52] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[16:53] | Your garbage can is on fire. | 好吧 你的垃圾筒着火了 |
[16:56] | Yeah. It’s not personal. A speech like this… | 是的,我不想得罪你 可是,像这样的演讲稿 |
[17:01] | Obviously, it’s… | 明显地,需要 |
[17:04] | It takes a certain amount of experience… | 有某些经验 |
[17:09] | …and a certain something. | 和某种特质的人才行 |
[17:15] | Out of curiosity, how do you know I don’t have the something? | 恕我好奇,你怎么知道 我没有那种特质呢? |
[17:18] | Because you don’t have the experience. | 因为你没有经验 |
[17:23] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[17:24] | – Well, it was nice meeting you. – You too. | -那,幸会了 -我也是 |
[17:30] | I was president of Cambridge Union on a Marshall Scholarship. | 我是马歇尔奖学金 剑桥联盟的主席 |
[17:34] | And I’ve written for three congressional races. | 我负责过三位国会议员的 竞选演讲稿 |
[17:36] | I read the Stanford Club speech. It was good. | 我读过史丹佛俱乐部的演讲稿 很不错 |
[17:40] | – Not as good as other people thought. – Yeah? | -不像别人想的那么地好 -是吗? |
[17:43] | Call and response won’t work in a Joint Session. | 在两院联席会期间 电话的往来是行不通的 |
[17:45] | You’re alliteration-happy.”Guardians of gridlock, protectors of privilege.” | 你的押�很好“堵塞的守护人 特权的保护神” |
[17:49] | I needed an avalanche of Advil. | 我需要一车的止痛药 |
[17:51] | When you use pop-culture references, speeches have a shelf life of 12 minutes. | 如果使用通俗文化的材料 演说只有十二分钟的生命 |
[17:55] | – You don’t mind constructive criticism? – No, sir. | -你不介意建设性评论吧? -不会,先生 |
[18:00] | Anyway, thanks for coming in. | 谢谢你来 |
[18:02] | I told Sam I can do this by myself. | 我告诉过山姆了,我自己能做 |
[18:06] | Well… | 是 |
[18:08] | …maybe he thought that your speeches were obscurantist policy tracts… | 也许他认为你的演讲稿 有艰涩难懂的政策倾向 |
[18:11] | …Iost in a cul-de-sac of their own self-righteousness… | 迷失于自我陶醉的死胡同 |
[18:14] | …and groaning from the weight of statistics. | 又有沉重的数据干扰 |
[18:19] | I’m just speculating. I can’t say for sure. | 我只是在推测,我不确定 |
[18:35] | A 500-word stanza on American leadership… | 一篇五百字押�的诗文 阐述 |
[18:37] | …in a globally-interdependent age that moves beyond triumphalism… | 在全球追求独立自主时代 美国领导超越求胜的主题 |
[18:41] | …by this time tomorrow. If it’s 501, don’t show it to me. | 明天此时交,若超过一字 就不要交给我 |
[19:17] | – You wanted to see me? – I need a favor. | -你想见我吗? -我需要你帮忙 |
[19:20] | The president’s gonna get a phone call, and I don’t want him to take it. | 总统将会接到一通电话 我不想让他接到 |
[19:24] | And I don’t want him to know why. | 我不想让他知道为什么 |
[19:26] | First part is okay, the second part gets ethically tricky. | 第一部份还可以 第二部份有道德上的诡谲 |
[19:29] | The U.N. has had a decades-old conflict with New York City. | 联合国与纽约市 有长达数十年的冲突 |
[19:33] | Foreign diplomats will park anywhere they want, and they get tickets. | 各国使节能到处停车 但他们也收到罚单 |
[19:37] | – And? – Don’t pay them. | -然后呢? -他们不要付罚单 |
[19:39] | That’s where our action begins, because every once in a while… | 所以我们的行动 就是因为每隔一阵子 |
[19:42] | …the city goes on a jihad and tows all their cars and that’s just happened. | 市政府就会进行圣战 把他们的车全拖走,就是这样 |
[19:46] | Someone’s complaining to the president? | 所以有人向总统抱怨吗? |
[19:48] | – Yes. – Who? | -是的 -谁? |
[19:50] | The secretary-general. | 联合国秘书长 |
[19:54] | You want him to dodge a call… | 你希望他避开 |
[19:56] | …from the U.N. secretary-general and not know why? | 联合国秘书长打来的电话 而且不让他知道原因? |
[19:58] | Yeah, could you swing that? | 是,你办得到吗? |
[20:01] | That would be troubling, wouldn’t it? | 会很麻烦,不是吗? |
[20:03] | I gotta keep the knucklehead stuff off his desk. And this is worse. | 我得让他避开一些没大脑的蠢蛋 这些人更糟 |
[20:07] | This is actually hot-button knucklehead. This could be a thing. | 这些是会引起关切的傻蛋 是会引发状况的 |
[20:10] | If he knows why the secretary’s calling, he’s gonna lose it. | 他如果知道秘书长打来的原因 他会发火的 |
[20:13] | – And he’s gonna be in it. – Yes, sir. | -所以一定不能让他知道 -是的 |
[20:16] | What do you think about Vickie Hilton? | 你对维琪希尔顿事件 有何看法? |
[20:18] | I don’t think you can ask someone to control who they fall in love with. | 我不认为你能控制 一个人去爱上谁的问题 |
[20:22] | – Thank you. | – Thank you. -谢谢你 -谢谢你 |
[20:25] | – Hey. | – Hey. -嘿 -嘿 |
[20:27] | – You wanted to see me? – I did. | -你想见我吗? -是的 |
[20:28] | Because I read a set of brief remarks for the Better Housing Conferences. | 因为我看了一份 改善居家品质会议的短文 |
[20:34] | Is this something you usually read? | 你平常会去看这种东西吗? |
[20:36] | – No. – Why are you reading it? | -不会 -那你为什么看呢? |
[20:38] | Because I don’t usually read it. I noticed… | 因为我不常看,我是注意到 |
[20:40] | …the writing has a quality you don’t usually find in these remarks. | 短文中有不常见到的文采 |
[20:43] | Usually, it’s written by a guy in the shop. | 通常这是演讲稿撰写人写的 |
[20:46] | We’re shorthanded there. I did it myself. | 缺少人手,我自己写的 |
[20:48] | Instead of FHA-insured home loans, you wrote FEMA-insured home loans. | 应该是保障房贷的紧急房贷小组 你写成保障房贷的紧急应变小组 |
[20:52] | – I meant FHA. – Yeah. FEMA doesn’t insure home loans. | -我是指紧急房贷小组 -紧急应变小组不保障房屋贷款 |
[20:55] | They don’t insure. They come in after a tornado. | 他们不承保 只在龙卷风袭击后出面救援 |
[20:58] | I know that. | 我知道 |
[21:00] | What do you want to do with Sam gone for 3 months? | 山姆离开的三个月中 你要怎么做? |
[21:03] | – We talked about this. – As long as you know what you’re doing. | -我们讨论过了 -只要你知道自己在做什么就行 |
[21:06] | – The adjustment period with me… – You adjusted to Sam. | -我对新人的适应期 -你适应过山姆了 |
[21:10] | – Maybe. If I did, it was, like, a week ago. – You could try to… | -能的话,我一星期前就适应了 -你可以设法 |
[21:13] | – Who? Who would you get? – There are people out there. | -谁?你会找谁? -有很多的人才 |
[21:16] | There are not people who… | 他们可不是 |
[21:18] | You’re like the guys who say: | 你就像一些人在说: |
[21:20] | “You could only find one African-American speechwriter… | “你只能找到一个 足以在白宫工作的 |
[21:23] | …good enough to work at the White House?” I’m amazed I did. | 非裔美籍讲稿撰写人吗?” 我找到一个就不得了啦 |
[21:26] | Good enough to work here is a small population to begin with. | 能够在这里工作的 优秀人口并不多 |
[21:29] | And guys who can write entire sections of a State of the Union… | 能够写出那些写国情咨文的人 |
[21:32] | …I’d be surprised if there were nine of us. Sam was one of them. | 我想不会是我们这九个人 山姆才是属于那个圈圈的人 |
[21:36] | Okay. | 好的 |
[21:38] | What do you think about Vickie Hilton? | 你对维琪希尔顿事件 有何看法? |
[21:43] | I think we invested time and money teaching her how to fly a warplane… | 我想,我们投资时间和金钱 教她驾驶战斗机 |
[21:46] | …which it turns out she does very well. There aren’t that many who do… | 结果是她表现杰出 很少人能像她那么好 |
[21:50] | …so I pick national security over caring who she sleeps with. | 所以我侧重国家安全 而不在乎她跟谁睡觉 |
[21:53] | Josh talked to me today. | 今天乔西跟我谈过了 |
[21:55] | – It can’t go in the Oval Office? – No, it can’t. | -这件事不能进椭圆办公室? -不,不行 |
[21:57] | Except I have a woman problem. | 除非我遇到女人的问题 |
[22:01] | Is Jordan pestering you? I’m getting it from Andy on this. | 乔登在烦你了吗? 我每天都因此被安娣骚扰 |
[22:04] | No, Toby, I meant a women’s issue. The constituency of women. | 不,托比,我是指女性议题 女性选民 |
[22:08] | – Yeah. – Jordy hasn’t shut up about Hilton. | -是的 -乔登对希尔顿事件穷追猛打 |
[22:11] | – This is what I’m saying. – All right. | -我指的就是如此 -好 |
[22:13] | – Thank you. – Thanks. | -谢谢你 -谢谢 (星期三) |
[22:19] | Okay. Thank you. What the hell is going on with the seats? | 好的,谢谢你 你们的座位是怎么回事? |
[22:22] | – I wouldn’t worry about it. – I’m not worried. I just read about it. | -我不担心这种事 -我不担心,我只是看到报导 |
[22:25] | News magazines aren’t here every day. Empty seats look bad… | 《新闻杂志》并非每天出席 空位子看起来很难看 |
[22:29] | …so I moved them. I think you shouldn’t comment. | 所以我移动他们的座位 我认为你不该管 |
[22:31] | I’ll say,”Sit your ass where you’re told and get to work.” | 我会说“叫你给我坐哪就坐哪 好好给我做事” |
[22:35] | I don’t think you should. | 你不应该这么说 |
[22:36] | Mr. President? Secretary-general. | 总统先生?秘书长的电话 |
[22:38] | – No. – I’m sorry? | -不行 -什么? |
[22:40] | Sir, you can’t take that call yet. | 先生,你还不能接这通电话 |
[22:43] | Toby wanted you to see a new memo on Rwanda… | 托比希望你们谈话前 |
[22:45] | …before you two spoke, and I forgot to tell the switchboard. | 你能先看卢安达的新报告 我忘了交待总机 |
[22:49] | Okay. | 好 |
[22:50] | – We’ll have to return. – Thank you, sir. | -我们再回电话 -谢谢你,先生 |
[22:53] | – You’re gonna take care of it? – I’ll have a camera moved. | -你会处理这件事吗? -我会移开一架摄影机 |
[22:56] | Sorry to hear you’re caving, but whatever. | 很遗憾你要屈服,随你 |
[22:58] | – I’m not caving, sir. – Okay, but still, whatever. | -我并不是屈服,先生 -好,但,仍然是 |
[23:01] | – Mr. President. – Come on in. | -总统先生 -请进 |
[23:02] | – You’d asked for the CEC briefing. – Thanks. | -你要的中央经委会简报 -谢谢 |
[23:05] | This is Jack Reese. He’s working for Nancy. | 这位是杰克瑞斯 他在南西的部门工作 |
[23:09] | This is Josh Lyman, C.J. Cregg. | 这位是乔西赖曼 茜洁葛瑞 |
[23:10] | – Commander. – How are you? | -指挥官 -你好吗? |
[23:13] | They’re talking about a force-level data fusion network. | 他们正在讨论 武力层级资料合成网路 |
[23:16] | – Yes, sir. – Nancy thinks France will come around… | -是的,先生 -南西认为法国最后会点头 |
[23:19] | …after the North Sea exercise. – She does, sir, yes. | -可能在北海演习之后 -是的,先生,她认为如此 |
[23:22] | – You agree? – I do, sir. | -你同意吗? -我同意,先生 |
[23:25] | – Okay. – Thanks very much, everybody. | -好的 -非常谢谢大家 |
[23:27] | – Thank you, Mr. President. | – Thank you, Mr. President. -谢谢你,总统先生 -谢谢你,总统先生 |
[23:32] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[23:34] | – Commander? – Yeah? | -指挥官? -是的? |
[23:36] | Hi, I’m Josh Lyman. We just met in there. | 嗨,我是乔西赖曼 我们刚在里面见过 |
[23:39] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[23:40] | This conversation you and I are having right now, it was not my idea to have it. | 你和我现在的对话 不是我的主意 |
[23:44] | This must be distinctly understood. | 这是我想声明在先的 |
[23:47] | – Is anything wrong? – You’ve met my assistant, Donna. | -有什么事情吗? -你见过我的助理,唐娜 |
[23:50] | Yeah, she was outside when I went to vote. | 是的,我投票时 她就在外面 |
[23:52] | She wanted to trade with a Ritchie voter. She filled out her ballot wrong… | 她想和李奇的选民交换 她填错选票 |
[23:56] | …and I thought it was kind of cool. | 我认为很有趣 |
[23:58] | If you like that, she nearly got arrested once when she got her arm stuck… | 如果你喜欢这样,还有 她曾差点被抓,只因她把手 |
[24:02] | …in a mailbox trying to retrieve a letter she wrote to llie Nastase. | 伸进信箱想取回 她写给网球名将纳斯塔斯的信 |
[24:06] | She once left her underpants at an art opening, and after a summit in Belarus… | 她还曾把内裤留在画展 以及白俄罗斯高峰会后 |
[24:11] | …she tried to smuggle 11 scented Minsk candles into an overnight bag. | 她曾走私十一枝明斯克香烛 放在她的旅行袋 |
[24:14] | – They evacuated the terminal. – Really? | -他们为此撤离整个航站 -真的吗? |
[24:16] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[24:19] | Okay. | 好的 |
[24:23] | – Was there something I can do for you? – No. | -什么需要我效劳的吗? -没有 |
[24:27] | Okay. Good meeting you. | 好的,很高兴见到你 |
[24:30] | You too. | 你也是 |
[24:35] | Josh? | 乔西? |
[24:37] | – Perfect timing. – Why? | -时机掌握得很好 -为什么? |
[24:38] | – I just talked to him. – Jack? | -我才和他谈过 -杰克? |
[24:40] | – Yeah. – And? | -是的 -然后呢? |
[24:42] | – I did well. I think I fanned the flame. – Does he want to go out? | -我做的很好,我煽了个火 -他想出去约会了吗? |
[24:46] | – I think so. – What did he say? | -我想是吧 -他说什么? |
[24:47] | He thought it was cool that you were looking for someone to trade votes. | 他认为你找人换票 很有趣 |
[24:51] | – What did you say? – I told him… | -你说什么? -我告诉他 |
[24:53] | …there are plenty more where that came from. | 你还有更多有趣的事 |
[24:56] | – What do you mean? – I told him about llie Nastase. | -你是什么意思? -我告诉他纳斯塔斯的事 |
[25:00] | – Why? – What do you mean? | -为什么? -你是什么意思? |
[25:02] | Why did you tell him that? | 你为何告诉他这件事? |
[25:04] | – It went with the vote-swapping theme. – No, it goes with the crazy theme. | -跟换票的主题很配 -不,这太疯狂了 |
[25:08] | – What else did you say? – The scented Minsk candles. | -你还说什么? -明斯克香烛的事 |
[25:10] | – Josh… – These are endearing stories. | -乔西 -都是很可爱的事 |
[25:12] | If you know me, if you already like me. | 那是已经认识我 喜欢我的人才会觉得 |
[25:14] | These aren’t stories I would’ve told when trying to get the job. | 找工作时 我是不会说这些事的 |
[25:18] | When you were trying to get the job, you pretended you’d already gotten it. | 当你在找工作时 你要假装已经找到工作了 |
[25:21] | Underwear at an art gallery wasn’t gonna change my mind. | 美术馆里的内在美事件 也不会改变我的心意 |
[25:24] | – You told him about the underwear? – Again, endearing. | -你还跟他说内裤的事? -也是可爱啊 |
[25:27] | Karen Cahill had me flummoxed. Did you tell him that? | 凯伦凯吉尔让我大吃一惊的事 你也说了? |
[25:30] | I think the underwear speaks for itself. | 我认为内裤的事较具代表性 |
[25:32] | – You have to go back. – Why? | -你必须回去找他 -为什么? |
[25:34] | – He’ll think I’m flaky. – He won’t care. | -他会认为我很没大脑 -他不会在意 |
[25:36] | – Why? – Guys will go out with anybody. | -为什么? -男生不在乎约会对象 |
[25:39] | That hasn’t been my experience. | 我就没遇过 |
[25:41] | – Go back. – I am not gonna… | -回去 -我不要 |
[25:42] | I have done many humiliating things for you. | 我为你做了很多丢脸的事 |
[25:45] | Okay, but I’m gonna work for a while on making people’s lives better. | 好,但我得为改善人民的生活 先做一点工作 |
[25:49] | How long’s that gonna… Take? | 要花多久的时间? |
[25:57] | – You’ll talk to Berryhill? – Yes. | -你会找贝瑞希尔谈吗? -是的 |
[25:59] | – He wants to feel loved. – Yes. | -他希望感到被爱 -是的 |
[26:01] | Make him feel loved. I want him in the Cabinet. | 让他感受到爱 我希望他入阁 |
[26:03] | – Yeah, he’s gonna feel all kinds of love. – Thank you. | -是,他会感受到各种爱意 -谢谢你 |
[26:07] | Josh saw me yesterday about Vickie Hilton. | 乔西昨天和我 谈维琪希尔顿的事 |
[26:10] | – You think we should get involved? – No. | -你认为我们应该涉入吗? -不 |
[26:12] | But you’re gonna have problems with the women. | 但你会惹上女人的麻烦 |
[26:15] | – Abbey and the girls? – No. | -艾碧和女孩子们吗? -不是 |
[26:17] | I gotta tell you, I’ve been hearing it from Abbey and the girls. | 我要告诉你 艾碧和我女儿一直在吵我 |
[26:21] | – What do you think? – It stays out. | -你的看法为何? -椭圆形办公室不干此事 |
[26:22] | No, I meant about Vickie Hilton. | 不,我是指维琪希尔顿 |
[26:25] | She disobeyed an order. | 她违背命令 |
[26:28] | You can’t do that. | 这是不可以的 |
[26:30] | Sure. Yes. | 当然是的 |
[26:32] | But isn’t there some question as to whether it’s practical… | 但对这种命令 |
[26:35] | …to give that order at all? | 是否实际? |
[26:37] | You want pilots overruling their superiors with regard to what’s practical or not? | 你希望飞行员 因命令是否实际而抗令? |
[26:41] | I’m saying there are a few sides to this. | 我是指这件事 有几个不同的角度 |
[26:44] | That’s for sure, and you’ve just heard mine. | 那是当然的 我的看法就是一个角度 |
[26:46] | But we’ll hear no others because we don’t want it in the Oval Office. | 不过,我们不听别人的看法 因为我们不要此事进椭圆办公室 |
[26:50] | Right. | 没错 |
[26:54] | Okay. Anything else? | 好吧,还有什么事? |
[26:56] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢你,总统先生 |
[27:21] | Mitch. | 米其 |
[27:23] | – Good morning. – I hope you weren’t waiting. | -早安 -希望你不是在等我 |
[27:26] | Just a minute. | 我才来不久 |
[27:28] | Well, you win, I lose. | 我才来不久 你赢了,我输了 |
[27:29] | I don’t want this to be a story. I want the president to be able to function. | 你赢了,我输了 我不想惹麻烦,我希望 总统能与媒体和谐运作 |
[27:33] | I’m moving the news magazines back up front. I apologize. | 我会把《新闻杂志》往前移 我向你道歉 |
[27:36] | I appreciate that. | 我很感激 |
[27:38] | When you’re not here, there’ll be a sign on your chair with your name. | 我很感激 你没出席时,会有个写你名字的 标签贴在椅子上 |
[27:43] | I’ve given C-SPAN permission for a second camera position… | 我允许《观察周刊》 放第二架摄影机的位子 |
[27:46] | …that’s on your seat so the director can go there at his or her discretion. | 就是你的位子 他们可以自行判断加以运用 |
[27:50] | – Are you kidding about this? – No. | -你在开玩笑吗? -不是 |
[27:52] | If you’re not here, get a seat-filler, and they better be prepared. | 如果你不出席,最好找一个人 来占位子而且最好有准备 |
[27:55] | They’re gonna be called on for the honor of the first question. | 我将会要求你的人 提出第一个问题 |
[28:01] | This should be about other people, don’t you think? | 这是跟别人有关的事 你不觉得吗? |
[28:04] | As a matter of fact, I do. | 事实上,我了解 |
[28:06] | I know. Happy Thanksgiving, Mitch. | 我知道,感恩节快乐 米其 |
[28:11] | Happy Thanksgiving. | 感恩节快乐 |
[28:12] | By the way, Danny Concanon won a Pulitzer Prize from the fourth row. | 感恩节快乐 对了,坐在第四排的 丹尼康坎隆得过一座普立兹奖 |
[28:16] | Danny’s more talented than I am. | 丹尼比我更有才干 |
[28:18] | See you, Mitch. | 再见,米其 |
[28:34] | Come in. | 请进 |
[28:38] | – Hey, Josh. – I’m really sorry to bother you. | -嘿,乔西 -真的很抱歉打扰你 |
[28:40] | – I’m just working. – What are you working on? | -我只是在工作 -你在做什么? |
[28:43] | A memo for the C.O. at a radar station in the Arctic Circle. | 一份北极圈雷达站报告 |
[28:46] | – You ever been there? – Yeah. | -你去过那里吗? -是的 |
[28:48] | What’s it like? | -你去过那里吗? -是的 那里是什么样子? |
[28:50] | Small-town feel, nice people and a terrific symphony… | 有小镇的感觉、人很和善 和很棒的交响乐 |
[28:53] | …if you like classical music with a Pops orchestra on Sundays. | 若你喜欢在星期日晚上听 流行管弦乐队的古典音乐 |
[28:56] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[28:59] | No. There’s no symphony or people. | 不,那里没有交响乐或任何人 |
[29:02] | Right. But on the other hand, Sunday night does last six months. | 是的,但那里有 为期六个月的周日夜晚 |
[29:07] | Listen, it occurs to me that… | 听着,我突然了解到 |
[29:10] | You know, I mentioned Donna before, and it occurs to me that I told you… | 你知道,我之前提过唐娜 而我告诉你的事 |
[29:15] | That I named some things that tickled me. | 我说了某些我觉得好笑的事 |
[29:20] | I don’t know. I wouldn’t want to leave you with the impression that she was… | 我不知道,我不想让你 对她留下的印象是 |
[29:24] | You know, anyway, if you wanted to ask her out, she’d probably say yes. | 其实,如果你想邀她出去 她大概会答应 |
[29:31] | Hey, Josh… | 嘿,乔西 |
[29:33] | …I’m new here and I wanna do well. | 我是新人,我想把工作做好 |
[29:36] | I don’t wanna get in between anything. | 我不介入其他的事 |
[29:38] | In between anything? | 介入其他的事? |
[29:41] | I have an aide who, in my life, I haven’t talked about… | 我也有个助理 我从来没有 |
[29:44] | …as much as you’ve talked about Donna in our entire relationship… | 像你谈论唐娜那样谈到她 我和他们的对话 |
[29:48] | …which is a total of seven minutes old. – No, no, no. | -加起来总共七分钟左右 -不,不,不 |
[29:52] | – You sure? – Tell me your aide’s name. | -你确定吗? -告诉我你助理的名字 |
[29:54] | – I’ll ask her out. We’ll double. – Chief Petty Officer Harold Wendell. | -你确定吗? -告诉我你助理的名字 -我来约她出去,来个双人约会 -哈洛温德尔 |
[29:59] | I got the fuzzy end of that lollipop. | 我被搞得一头雾水 |
[30:01] | I don’t know, Wendell’s not”cute” cute, but he’s so funny. | 我不知道,温德尔不“可爱” 但他很有趣 |
[30:05] | So that’s it, we’re done talking about Donna. | 就这样,我们结束讨论唐娜的事 |
[30:07] | Whose full name is Donnatella, by the way. | 她的全名是唐娜堤拉 |
[30:10] | Her mom’s Italian, dad’s Irish. | 她的母亲是意大利人 父亲是爱尔兰人 |
[30:13] | Okay. Thanks. | 好的,谢谢 |
[30:18] | Leo’s wrong. Are we to live with the assumption that there are no men… | 里奥是错的,难道我们 要假设军中没有任何男人 |
[30:21] | …in the services who’ve committed adultery? | 犯过通奸罪吗? |
[30:23] | What’s worse, being stupid or pretending to be stupid? | 哪种比较糟 是真笨呢或是装笨? |
[30:26] | – Tell him that. – Yes, sir. | -去告诉他 -是的,先生 |
[30:28] | No, I’m gonna do it. | -去告诉他 -是的,先生 不,我要亲自行动 |
[30:35] | Eisenhower and Kay Summersby, a subordinate. | 艾森豪和凯桑玛斯比 她是他的部属 |
[30:39] | Hammond, with the wives of two junior officers. | 汉蒙也和两个部属的太太搞过 |
[30:41] | So G.I. Jane gets a court-martial. G.I. Joe gets a short film on hygiene? | 所以魔鬼女大兵得受到审判 魔鬼大头兵只需去上健教课吗? |
[30:45] | That is all I have to say to you. | 这就是我要对你说的 |
[30:54] | – Feel better, sir? – I forgot to tell him something else. | -感觉好多了吗,先生? -我忘了告诉他其他的事 |
[30:57] | The Uniform Code of Military Justice, Article 134… | 军事法典,第一百三十四条款 |
[31:01] | …which exists to ensure that soldiers will risk their life for each other. | 明载军人需冒着生命危险 彼此关照 |
[31:07] | You’ll agree without that, there isn’t a point in having Articles 1 through 133. | 若没有这条款,第一至 一百三十三条就没意义了 |
[31:12] | Nobody ordered Eisenhower to stop seeing Summersby. | 没有人下令艾森豪 不得和桑玛斯比见面 |
[31:15] | Because men don’t give that order to other men. | 因为男人不向男人下那种命令 |
[31:18] | Excuse me, but did you not fire our ambassador to… | 抱歉,但你不是把 南美某国的大使免职 |
[31:22] | …somewhere in South America because he was messing around… | 就因为他和 |
[31:26] | The daughter of the president of Brazil, which was a political problem for me! | 巴西总统的女儿胡搞 变成我的政治问题! |
[31:30] | I didn’t fire him. I asked him to resign, and I set him up in the private sector. | 我没将他免职,我请求他辞职 我还安排他去私人机关任职 |
[31:35] | If you think the difference is semantic, look up”dishonorable discharge”… | 若你认为是语意的不同 请查查何谓“不名誉免职” |
[31:39] | …Iook up Fort Leavenworth. | 查查看福特蓝渥斯档案 |
[31:40] | Sir, it’s the secretary-general again. | 查查看福特蓝渥斯档案 又是秘书长打来的 |
[31:42] | – Yeah. – No, you can’t take that, sir. | -是的 -不,你不能接,先生 |
[31:45] | I read the memo on Rwanda. | 我看过卢安达的报告了 |
[31:47] | Average rainfall 9 inches? That’s the memo Toby wanted me to read? | 平均雨量九寸? 这是托比要我看的备忘录吗? |
[31:51] | – On short notice, yes. – I told him to pass-block on the call. | -简短的报告,是的 -是我要他阻挡这通电话的 |
[31:55] | – Why? – Parking tickets. | -为什么? -违规停车罚单 |
[31:59] | Now, please, don’t leap into it. Don’t… | 请不要太激动,不要 |
[32:02] | There are big signs! You can’t park there! | 交通标志是很大的! 你们不能随便停车! |
[32:06] | They should get towed! I hope they get towed to Queens! | 他们的车子应该被拖吊! 我希望他们把车拖到皇后区去! |
[32:09] | And the Triborough is closed! | 三区大桥也关闭了! |
[32:11] | And there’s a big craft show at Shea, a flea market or a tractor show! | 最好西雅球场有大型手工艺展 或有跳蚤市场或拖曳机展! |
[32:18] | Well, that was probably his secretary. | 那大概只是他的秘书 |
[32:22] | – Damn it! – You can bet she’ll park in a garage. | -可恶! -保证她以后会把车停在车库里 |
[32:27] | Do you really think… | 你真的认为 |
[32:28] | …Vickie Hilton is unable to distinguish between this order and a combat order? | 你真的认为 维琪无法明辨这种命令 与作战命令的不同吗? |
[32:33] | This was a combat order. They’re all combat orders. | 这也是个作战命令 统统都是作战命令 |
[32:35] | When you order a guy to go fight… | 当你命令一个人去作战 |
[32:37] | …he can’t think it’s because you’re sleeping with his wife. | 他不会想到那是因为 你跟他老婆胡搞 |
[32:40] | – You’re right. – That’s… | -你说对了 -这 |
[32:43] | That’s an unusual phrase for you. You just learn it? | 这是你不常使用的措辞 你刚刚学的吗? |
[32:46] | – Let me finish. I may also be right. – I had a hunch. | -让我说完,我也许是对的 -我有一种预感 |
[32:50] | We get five more people, we’ll have eight opinions. | 我们再找五个人 就有八种意见 |
[32:52] | – That’s right. – So let’s. | -没错 -行动吧 |
[32:54] | It’s Pentagon. | 是五角大厦 |
[32:55] | And two elections in a row, people said they wanted me to run that. | 是五角大厦 而且两届大选结果 人民希望由我执政 |
[32:59] | There are issues of chain of command and command influence. | 这是关于命令 以及命令之影响的议题 |
[33:03] | I’m not talking about overruling anyone or pardoning anyone… | 我并不是指干涉任何人 或原谅任何人 |
[33:06] | …I’m just talking about having people over and asking questions. | 我只是要召集大家、询问意见 |
[33:11] | I like basketball, but I can’t play. | 我喜欢篮球,但我不能打 |
[33:14] | I played in prep school and liked being on the team, but I didn’t want the ball. | 我在校打球,也喜欢团队的感觉 但我不想接到球 |
[33:18] | The coach said, “Winners always want the ball.” | 教练说 “赢家总是希望接到球” |
[33:20] | I said,”Coach, winners are also better than I am.” | 我说 “教练,赢家也是我还强的人” |
[33:23] | He said,”To be a winner, you’ve got to think like a winner.” | 他说“要当个赢家 想法就要像个赢家” |
[33:26] | I said,”Coach, to be a winner, you’ve also gotta be better than I am.” | 我说, “教练,想当赢家 也得比我更强才行” |
[33:30] | Anyway, he was right. Winners want the ball. | 他说的对,赢家总是想接到球 |
[33:32] | I don’t think I ever wanna hear “It’s too sticky for the Oval Office.” | 我不想再听人说 “椭圆办公室都是老顽固” |
[33:39] | Except for parking tickets, you cheap-ass diplomats! | 除了停车罚单之外 你们这些不要脸的外交官! |
[33:45] | Read that whole memo on Rwanda, by the way. | 对了,去看看卢安达的整个报告 |
[33:50] | – What are you smiling at? – Nothing. | -你在笑什么? -没事 |
[33:54] | Are we together on this? Do we have resolve? | 我们对此事意见一致吗? 歧见解决了吗? |
[33:57] | We got four years, no election and a Republican Congress that hates me… | 我们还有四年、不再有选举 还有一个讨厌我的共和党国会 |
[34:01] | …and actually hates you more. You ready to saddle up? | 事实上他们更恨你 你准备好了吗? |
[34:05] | Well, I serve at the president’s pleasure… | 我为总统的好恶工作 |
[34:08] | …and it’s kind of nice for me too. | 不过,我感觉还不错 |
[34:11] | All right. Good, then. | 好的,很好 |
[34:14] | Happy Thanksgiving. | 感恩节快乐 |
[34:22] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[34:24] | I think he’s gonna call you. | 我想他会打电话给你 |
[34:26] | He already did. Thank you, thank you. | 他已经打了 谢谢你,谢谢你 |
[34:29] | He asked me to have a drink tonight. I’d love to go home, shower and change. | 今晚他邀我出去 我要回家洗澡换衣服 |
[34:33] | The two CBO reports are right on your desk, as is the East Asia paper. | 两份国会预算局的报告在桌上 还有东亚报告 |
[34:36] | Your call sheet is clear. If there’s anything else, I’m happy to come in early. | 你的电话联络都处理好了 还有任何事,我明天能早点来 |
[34:41] | – Could I go? – What time is it? | -我可以走了吗? -现在几点? |
[34:43] | – A quarter to 8. – Sure. | -七点四十五分 -当然可以 |
[34:44] | Thanks. I really like him. | -七点四十五分 -当然可以 谢谢,我真的很喜欢他 |
[34:47] | Have a good time. | 祝你玩得愉快 |
[34:51] | Those are good stories about you, though. | 你的那些事都很棒 |
[34:54] | Those stories would make me like you. | 那些事会让我喜欢你 |
[34:56] | You like everybody. | 你喜欢所有的人 |
[35:01] | – Tomorrow’s Thanksgiving. – Yeah. | -明天是感恩节 -是的 |
[35:04] | You won’t be coming in early. You won’t be coming in at all. | 你不会早点进来 你根本不会进来的 |
[35:07] | – Is there anything you need? – No, I’m just saying. | -你还需要任何东西吗? -不,我只是说说 |
[35:10] | Okay. | 好的 |
[35:13] | – Happy Thanksgiving. – You too. | -感恩节快乐 -你也是 |
[35:22] | I’m not obsessed, you know. | 我并不是沉迷,你知道吗? |
[35:26] | – I’m sorry? – I’m not obsessed. | -抱歉? -我不是沉迷 |
[35:28] | I’m just a fan and I care. | 我只是个影迷而且我在乎 |
[35:32] | – What was your name again? – Janice. | -你的名字是什么? -珍妮丝 |
[35:41] | I’m a fan. | 我也是个迷 |
[35:43] | I’m a sports fan, I’m a music fan, and I’m a Star Trek fan, all of them. | 我是个球迷、音乐迷 《星舰奇航》迷 |
[35:47] | But here’s what I don’t do. Tell me if any of this sounds familiar: | 但在这里我不是,告诉我 这些听起来熟不熟悉: |
[35:51] | Let’s list our 10 favorite episodes. | 列出最受欢迎的十集 |
[35:53] | Let’s list our least favorite episodes. Let’s list our favorite galaxies. | 列出不受欢迎的一集 列出我们最喜欢的银河系之星 |
[35:57] | Let’s make a chart to see how often they appear in our favorite episodes. | 我们做个表格看他们多常出现在 我们喜欢的影集里 |
[36:00] | What Romulan would you couple with a Cardassian, and why? | 你会把哪个罗慕伦人跟 哪个卡达西恩人配对,为什么? |
[36:04] | Let’s talk about Romulans falling in love with Cardassians… | 我们谈谈罗慕伦人 爱上卡达西恩人 |
[36:07] | …and then let’s do it again. | 然后再配一次 |
[36:12] | That’s not being a fan. | 这不只是影迷 |
[36:15] | That’s having a fetish. | 这已是崇拜了 |
[36:17] | And I don’t have a problem with that… | 我对此没有任何异议 |
[36:19] | …except you can’t bring your hobbies into work, okay? | 可是你不能把嗜好带进工作 可以吗? |
[36:23] | Got it. | 了解了 |
[36:29] | Except on Star Trek holidays. | 除了《星舰奇航》日之外 |
[36:33] | There’s no such thing as a Star Trek holiday. | 没有《星舰奇航》日 |
[36:36] | Well, work hard around here, we’ll make one. | 那就努力工作 我们来创造一个 |
[36:43] | “Not just a chance, but a mission… | “不只是个机会 是个重责大任 |
[36:49] | …unique in all of human… | 独一无二超越凡人 |
[36:57] | To prove that liberty is… | 为证明自由是 |
[37:01] | To prove that… | 为证明 |
[37:06] | …freedom unlocks… | 自由开启 |
[37:12] | …a higher fraction of the human potential than… | 人类更高的潜力 |
[37:18] | Than any…” | 远胜过任何” |
[37:23] | Four hundred and ninety-eight, but with my name it’s 500. | 四百九十八个字 加上我的名字总计五百字 |
[37:30] | This is mine. | 这是我的 |
[38:04] | – Stop reading mine. – Actually, it’s… | -不要看我的了 -事实上,这 |
[38:06] | Stop reading it, please. | 请不要再看了 |
[38:20] | We can’t offer you any money. We can put you up in a hotel. | 我们不能付你薪水 但能让你住在旅馆 |
[38:24] | I work with someone. | 我是跟别人一同工作 |
[38:26] | – She’s my stepsister, actually. – That’s fine, but she’s on your payroll. | -事实上,是我的继妹 -没问题,她的薪水记在你帐上 |
[38:34] | This is incredibly good, Will. | 这写的太好了,威尔 |
[38:37] | “Never shrinking from the world’s…” | “绝对不从世上退缩 |
[38:40] | “A fierce belief in what we can achieve together.” | 坚决相信我们能共创伟业” |
[38:48] | I used to write like this. It was 10 months ago. | 我以前写来也像这样 大概是十个月前 |
[38:53] | I don’t understand what’s going on. I really don’t. | 我不明白发生什么事了 我真的不明白 |
[38:57] | I’ve had slumps before, everybody does. But this is different. | 我以前也曾肠枯思竭 大家都会,但这次不同 |
[39:03] | I’m sorry. We don’t know each other… | 抱歉,我们互不相识 |
[39:05] | …but there aren’t that many people I can talk to about it. | 但没什么人能让我谈这种事 |
[39:14] | I don’t understand… | 我不明白 |
[39:16] | …what’s happening. | 怎么了 |
[39:21] | There’s no blood going to it. | 我失去热情了 |
[39:26] | I never had to locate it before. I don’t even know where to look. | 以前我根本不需要找的 现在根本无从找起 |
[39:31] | I’m the president’s voice, and I don’t want him to sound like this. | 我代表总统的声音 我不希望他这样说话 |
[39:39] | And there’s an incredible history to second inaugurals. | 第二次就职演说 是历史性的成就 |
[39:45] | “Fear itself,” Lincoln. | “只是恐惧本身”林肯 |
[39:50] | I really thought I was on my way to being one of those guys. | 我真的以为 我就快要步入那个圈圈 |
[39:56] | I thought I was close. | 我以为我接近了 |
[40:00] | Now I’m just writing for my life and you can’t serve a president that way. | 现在我只能拼命在写作 不能用这种方式替总统工作 |
[40:05] | But if I didn’t write… | 可是如果我没写 |
[40:11] | …I can’t serve him at all. | 我就不能为他工作了 |
[40:14] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[40:17] | Can I tell you three things? | 我能告诉你三件事吗? |
[40:21] | You are more in need of a night in Atlantic City than any man I’ve ever met. | 你比任何人都需要去大西洋城住一晚 |
[40:26] | Number two is, the last thing you need to worry about is no blood going there. | 第二,你根本不需要担心 没有热情 |
[40:30] | You’ve got blood going there about 13 ways and some of it isn’t good. | 有十三种不同方式的让热血沸腾 有些不是很好 |
[40:35] | Once again, I say Atlantic City. I’d say sit down at a table… | 再一次,我说去大西洋城 我是说去选张桌子坐下 |
[40:39] | …go for dinner, see a show, take a walk on the boardwalk and smell the salt air… | 享受一顿晚餐、看表演 散步、闻闻带着�Q味的空气 |
[40:44] | …but if you’re like me, nothing after “sit down at a table” is gonna happen. | 可是如果你像我一样 “选张桌子坐下”之后就没了 |
[40:49] | What’s the third thing? | 什么是第三件事? |
[40:51] | You are one of those guys. | 你算是那个圈圈里的 |
[40:55] | This is an inning of good relief pitching from a fresh arm. | 这是新上任救援投手 所释出的讯息 |
[41:04] | All right. | 好的 |
[41:06] | All right. Chances are you have certain qualities that are gonna annoy me. | 好的,问题是你有某种特质 是会让我烦恼 |
[41:10] | I don’t know what they are yet, but you have a certain quality that says… | 我不知道是什么 但你有某种特质 |
[41:15] | …you were schooled in Eastern philosophies. | 像受过东方哲学训练 |
[41:18] | I told you to go to Atlantic City. | 我说过去大西洋城 |
[41:20] | You didn’t deny you’ve been schooled in Eastern philosophies. | 你不用否认 你曾受过东方哲学的训练 |
[41:23] | Well-schooled. You want me to locate your chakra? | 我有过很好的训练 要我点出你的精神中心吗? |
[41:25] | – Look… – I’m a lawyer. | -听着 -我是个律师 |
[41:27] | Good. They’re never annoying. | 很好,他们不讨厌 |
[41:31] | Okay. | 好的 |
[41:35] | I’m glad you liked what I wrote. I’m pretty tired. | 我很高兴你喜欢我的文笔 我很累了 |
[41:38] | I’ve been tired for a pretty long time, and you’ve been tired even longer. | 我已经疲劳很久了 你疲劳的时间更长 |
[41:42] | I’m getting on a plane tonight and going to Nice… | 我今晚就要上飞机到尼斯去玩 |
[41:45] | …and I’m gonna stay there for a few weeks. | 要待上几星期 |
[41:48] | When I get back, it’d be a privilege to give you all the help you ask for. | 等我回来 我会很荣幸为你们服务 |
[41:53] | Well, I appreciate that. | 我很感谢 |
[41:56] | Oh, man, I forgot. | 哦,我忘了 |
[41:58] | Sam wanted me to give you this. | 山姆要我转交这个给你 |
[42:02] | – You didn’t give it to me yesterday. – You know what? Not your FedEx guy. | -你昨天没拿给我 -知道吗?我又不是你的快递 |
[42:07] | – Happy Thanksgiving. | – Happy Thanksgiving. -感恩节快乐 -感恩节快乐 (托比―他是我们这圈圈的―山姆) |
[42:30] | Unless you wanna start now. | 除非你想现在就开始 |
[42:34] | Yeah. | 好吧 |