时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | No, Dad, I’m on the plane. | 不,爸,我在飞机上 |
[00:13] | All right. I’ll try and call you later if there’s anything interesting to report. | 好的,有任何好玩的 我等一下会向你报告 |
[00:19] | Talk to you later. | 待会再聊 |
[00:20] | – I’m talking about my father. – Why? | -我在谈我父亲的事 -为什么? |
[00:23] | He’s not doing fine. He forgets things. | 他不很好,他会忘记事情 |
[00:25] | – I know. – He forgets what’s going on. | -我知道 -他会忘记眼前发生的事情 |
[00:27] | He thought this was the general election today… | 他以为今天是大选日 |
[00:31] | …and he snaps back in, but… | 他会马上恢复,但 剧名:漫长的告别 |
[00:41] | After meeting with the council on foreign relations… | 在外交关系会议后 |
[00:43] | …the president and first lady will go to Camp David… | 总统和第一夫人 将前往大卫营渡周末 |
[00:46] | …where the governor of Nebraska will join them. | 内布拉斯加州的州长 亦将前往会合 |
[00:48] | Wasn’t Josh Lyman scheduled to do press briefings today… | 今天不是安排乔西赖曼 前来主持记者会吗 |
[00:51] | …and over the weekend? – You have me. | -还有周末不是也是吗? -都是我来 |
[00:53] | You’re not going to your high school reunion in Dayton? | 你不是要去德顿市 参加高中同学会吗? |
[00:57] | – Yes. If that’s all… – We understood you were to deliver… | -我不去了,如果没其他 -我们知道你要演讲 |
[01:00] | …a speech entitled “The Promise of a Generation.” | 主题为“新世代的未来” |
[01:02] | – How did you know? – It’s in the Dayton papers. | -你怎么知道? -德顿市的报纸上有刊登 |
[01:05] | – Right. – Could you tell us… | -没错 -你能告诉我们 |
[01:07] | …what the promise of a generation is, since you’re chickening out? | 新世代的未来到底是什么? 既然你已打算临阵脱逃? |
[01:10] | I’m not sure, but like pornography, I know it when I see it. | 我不确定,不过这就像黄色书刊 看到就知道了 |
[01:13] | They came up with the title. Because it’s school… | 他们想出来的题目 因为这是母校 |
[01:16] | …I felt it was an assignment. I couldn’t say no. | 我觉得像个作业 我无法拒绝 |
[01:19] | My job prevents me certain pleasures. | 很不幸的,我的工作阻碍了 我去做某些快乐有趣的作业 |
[01:21] | – I’m not chickening out. – We don’t get Josh. | -我没有临阵脱逃 -总之,乔西不会来的,是吧? |
[01:23] | No fresh meat for the lions. | 不能把羊送入虎口 |
[01:25] | – That’s a full lid. – Thank you. | -到此为此 -谢谢你 |
[01:31] | Thank you. I couldn’t go out there. | 谢谢你,我无法上台去 |
[01:33] | Like they had this sadistic anticipatory glee. | 他们像在等着看我出糗一样 |
[01:36] | – I agree. I have to stay. – What are you doing here? | -我同意,我必须留下 -你在这里做什么? |
[01:38] | Josh can’t do the briefings. I missed the last flight to Dayton, so it’s moot. | 乔西不能上去做简报 我已错过去德顿的班机,不能去了 |
[01:42] | No, there’s one at 7:50. You’re booked. There is. I don’t make the schedules. | 不,还有一班七点五十分的 你有订位,行程不是我排的 |
[01:46] | – Go. I’ll do it. – Good luck. | -去吧,简报交给我 -祝你好运 |
[01:48] | It’s not your shtick. You don’t know who to call… | 你专长不在此 你不知道该叫谁 |
[01:50] | …where to look, when to smile and interrupt. | 看哪里 何时笑和何时打断别人的话 |
[01:53] | – You scared of that promise thing? – Yes. | -你害怕那个“未来”的演讲吗? -对 |
[01:55] | No, that can’t be it. | 不,这是不可能的 |
[02:01] | It’s your dad. | 是你父亲 |
[02:04] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[02:07] | – How’s he doing? – Don’t use the words… | -他还好吗? -你不可以说出“阿兹海默氏症” |
[02:09] | …”Alzheimer’s” or”doctors.” – Nevertheless, those are… | -或“医生”这些字眼 -不过,这些都是 |
[02:12] | …the relevant words. – His wife scares me. | -相关字 -是他的太太让我怯步 |
[02:15] | The woman who takes care of him scares me. Molly. | 照顾他的那个女人让我害怕 莫莉 |
[02:17] | She was my English teacher, and she was a tough grader. | 她是我的英文老师 她的评分很严格 |
[02:21] | Scared of your high school teacher? | 你怕你的高中老师吗? |
[02:22] | Well, she’s also now my stepmother, so it’s just a little bit fraught. | 她现在也是我的继母 所以伴随一点恼人的焦虑 |
[02:27] | Did you ever not get an A in her class? | 你在她的班上拿过甲上吗? |
[02:31] | Nevertheless, Dayton awaits. | 不论如何,德顿市在等你 |
[02:37] | Finish your speech. | 去发表你的演说 主演:罗伯洛 主演:杜希尔 主演:艾莉森詹尼 主演:约书亚马尼纳 主演:珍妮尔摩隆奈 主演:里察薛福 主演:约翰史宾塞 主演:布雷迪威佛德 主演:马丁辛 |
[03:30] | Toby, a couple of things. | 托比,有几件重要的事 (同一天晚上) |
[03:33] | There are notes for an NEA speech… | 有一个国家艺术 基金会的演讲的批注 |
[03:35] | …and the president’s going to ask for something, maybe over the weekend. | 还有总统在周末 也许会要一些东西 |
[03:39] | Also, Toby, the section on embassy security is still being ironed out by Josh. | 托比,关于大使馆安全部分 乔西仍在解决当中 |
[03:46] | – And I haven’t… – Ma’am? | -我还没 -夫人? |
[03:49] | I haven’t had a chance to work on… Hold on. | 我还没有机会着手 等一等 |
[03:54] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[03:56] | No, not you. | 不,不是对你说 |
[03:58] | No, I didn’t mean that you have no social skills, Toby. | 不,我不是指你的公关功力不好 托比 |
[04:01] | I’m sorry if you think I was being insensitive to your… | 我很抱歉,如果你认为 我对你粗鲁的话 |
[04:05] | I think you’re very… You’re a very pretty girl, Toby. | 我认为你是很 你是个很好的“女人” ,托比 |
[04:11] | By the way, I have… | 此外,我有 |
[04:15] | I have notes about the SEC appointment speech. | 我有做证卷交易委员会 任命演说稿的批注 |
[04:18] | I can’t do this. I’ll call you later. I’m gonna have a heart attack. | 我没办法讲了,待会再打给你 我会得心脏病的 托比,如果你有收到留言 我那里还有一份简报的草稿 |
[04:26] | Toby, if you get this, there’s also an errant draft of a briefing paper… | |
[04:30] | …on agricultural trading exchange with South African students… | (德顿市 俄亥俄州) 是关于南非 农业训练交换学生 |
[04:33] | …and it has to pass through the… I think I may have been maybe cut off. | 要交给我想 我也许快要断线了 |
[04:37] | I’ll e-mail you. | 我会传电子邮件给你 |
[04:47] | You look basically exactly the same. | 哇,你看起来几乎没变 |
[04:50] | – Pardon me? – Yeah, you do. | -什么? -是的,你真的 |
[04:53] | I didn’t think you’d be coming. | 我没想到你真的会来 |
[04:55] | I feel slightly so much better now. | 我现在觉得好多了 |
[04:59] | I’m hearing Violent Femmes and thinking… | 我听到暴力妖姬合唱团 就想起 |
[05:02] | …Quaaludes and detention and tacos. | 镇静剂、留校察看 和塔可饼? |
[05:07] | Well, there was a little bit more to it than that. | 其实不只这些 制片:保罗瑞福 |
[05:10] | Marco. | 马可 |
[05:12] | Marco Arlens. | 马可亚林斯 |
[05:15] | Where’s your band? | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 你那个乐团在哪里? |
[05:17] | Alas, The Mollusks of Lust. | 欲望莫路斯克乐团 |
[05:20] | – I’m afraid we didn’t make it. – Nor did the purple and magenta Mohawk. | -我们没红 -你的紫光莫哈克头也一样 |
[05:24] | But unlike the Mollusks, Mohawks are making a comeback… | 不过不像莫路斯克的失败 莫哈克头会再长回来 |
[05:27] | …but as fauxhawks. | 只是变成较长的莫哈克发型 |
[05:29] | – Are you dreading this? – Yeah. | -你会紧张吗? -是的 |
[05:31] | But I’m not making a speech about… | 但我不是演讲那个什么主题的人 |
[05:33] | – The promise of a generation. – Yeah. | -“新世代的未来” -是的 |
[05:37] | So, what are you up to now? | 你现在做什么? |
[05:40] | Sort of… | 有点像 |
[05:41] | …living in Paris. – Paris? | -就是住在巴黎 -巴黎? 制片:尼尔海恩二世 你以前是一个玩棒球的 庞克摇滚乐手 |
[05:44] | You were a baseball-playing punk rocker. | |
[05:47] | And you were the smartest… | 你则是德顿最聪明 编剧:乔罗宾贝堤兹 |
[05:51] | …funniest… | 最有趣 |
[05:52] | …saddest girl in Dayton. | 最悲哀的女孩 |
[05:55] | Thank you. I think that might have been a compliment. | 导演:亚力克葛拉夫斯 谢谢,我想你应该是在称赞我 |
[05:58] | How’s your dad, Mr. Cregg? | 你的父亲还好吗 葛瑞先生? |
[06:00] | He’s not still teaching math, is he? | 他该不会还在教数学吧? |
[06:02] | No. He has a new job now, he gets married. | 不是,他有了新工作 他结婚了 |
[06:05] | After my mom died. Twice. Now to a lovely lady in the English department. | 我妈过世后,有两次 现在他娶了英文系美丽的女老师 |
[06:10] | Her job is baking and hating me. | 她的工作就是烘烤、讨厌我 |
[06:12] | – Did you ever have Mrs. Lapham? – Yeah. | -你上过赖普汉老师的课吗? -有的 |
[06:15] | She hated me too. | 她也讨厌我 |
[06:17] | So she’s your stepmom. Wow. | 所以她变成你的继母,哇 |
[06:19] | – So it’s just all fun? – Welcome home. | -这很有意思,对不对? -欢迎回家 |
[06:23] | That’s my ride. | 那是我的车子 |
[06:33] | Hey, listen, at the risk of being anything… | 听着,也许你会 不想惹什么麻烦 |
[06:38] | …you wouldn’t wanna go to this thing together, would you? | 所以你不会想要聚一聚 对不对? |
[06:41] | I mean, we could get a vodka first, which helps with fear… | 我是指,我们可以先喝杯伏特加 有助消除恐惧感 |
[06:44] | …and a cracker, which helps with the bad food. | 还有饼干,如果没有好食物的话 还可配着吃 |
[06:47] | Safety in numbers. | 人多势众 |
[06:49] | That’d be great. | 没问题 |
[06:58] | I’ll see you. | 我们再见了 |
[07:25] | Claudia Jean, when you go out on a date, you’re supposed to call… | 茜洁,你出去约会 如果得在半夜回家 |
[07:29] | …if you come in after midnight, aren’t you? | 就该先打电话回来,不是吗? |
[07:32] | I’m sorry, I… | 我很抱歉,我 |
[07:35] | Come on in. Come on. | 进来,进来 |
[07:38] | Come and have a Manhattan. Molly made cupcakes for us before retiring. | 进来喝杯酒,莫莉退休前 为我们做了一些蛋糕 |
[07:42] | – Great. – Tell me everything. | -太棒了 -赶快跟我说说 |
[07:45] | I wanna know everything. Let’s sit up all night and catch up. | 我什么都想知道 让我们彻夜促膝长谈 |
[07:49] | I don’t seem to do much of that anymore. | 我不太有机会长谈了 |
[07:52] | Ticking clocks, you know, and so much to do. | 时间有限,而且得做的事还很多 |
[07:54] | – How are you, Daddy? – I’ve been a little blue lately. | -你好吗,爸? -我最近有点沮丧 |
[07:57] | – I haven’t been able to fish. – It’s February. | -因为我不能去钓鱼 -现在是二月 |
[08:00] | I know that. I’m aware of that. | 我知道,我注意到了 |
[08:02] | I’ve got these Italian flies I wanna try out. | 可是我有新的意大利钩饵 我想试一试 |
[08:04] | They’re quite flirtatious. | 这些真的很迷人 |
[08:06] | Would you go to the river with me in the morning? | 早上你能陪我去河边吗? |
[08:08] | – You wanna go fishing tomorrow? – I know. | -明天你想钓鱼吗? -我知道 |
[08:11] | I know it’s gonna be cold, but I thought it might be bracing. | 我知道天气很冷 但我想对精神会很好 |
[08:14] | I don’t wanna be at the mercy of the seasons, do I, at my age? | 我不想为了季节放弃什么 我的年纪可不小了 |
[08:17] | Why let meteorology dictate? | 为什么要让气象操纵呢? |
[08:21] | – We used to go fishing, didn’t we? – Yes. | -我们常去钓鱼的,不是吗? -是 |
[08:24] | – There you go, then. – Once or twice. | -那就对了 -钓过一两次 |
[08:26] | – Just like the old days… – Which I don’t recall loving. Yes, just like. | -就像以前一样 -我不记得我爱是的,就像以前 |
[08:30] | When you get to a certain age… | 到了某种年纪 |
[08:32] | …the little things you used to do matter more and more. Old… | 以前在乎的一些小事情 会愈来愈重要,那个老 |
[08:36] | …Mr. Moyers from two doors down, after his Beth died… | 附近的莫伊斯先生 在他的贝丝过世后 |
[08:40] | …all he wanted to do was to be taken to the Astro Dinette for tuna melts… | 他最期待的事情就是 被带到奥斯卓小馆吃鲔鱼起士三明治 |
[08:46] | …which is what they’d done together every Thursday. | 这是他们以前 每个星期四会一起去的地方 |
[08:50] | Now it’s me taking him. | 现在是我带他去 |
[08:52] | Are we gonna wake up Molly? | 我们要叫醒莫莉吗? |
[08:54] | You could blast Elgar in here with 25 speakers… | 你用二十五个喇叭 |
[08:56] | …you wouldn’t wake up Molly. – How is Molly? | -也叫不醒莫莉 -莫莉还好吗? |
[08:59] | Marvelous, fun, funny. | 令人赞鼓,很有趣 |
[09:02] | Lots of rules. | 很多规矩 |
[09:03] | Ex-vice principals can’t give up their principles, can they? | 前副校长就是 不能放弃他们的规矩,对吧? |
[09:07] | You hungry? | 你饿了吗? |
[09:10] | I’ll be right there. I’m gonna put my bags down and wash my face. | 我马上来 我先把行李放下、洗把脸 |
[09:28] | About Mr. Moyers, you think he…? Dad? | 关于莫伊斯先生 你认为他?爸? |
[09:31] | Mr. Moyers lived in Shaker Heights. The Astro’s in Cleveland. | 莫伊斯先生 住在宣克高地,不在这附近 |
[09:35] | Well, I know that. | 我知道 |
[09:37] | I meant Marianthall, not Moyers. | 我是说马伊安斯 不是莫伊斯 |
[09:39] | Did I say Moyers? | 我说莫伊斯吗? |
[09:41] | Yep, I started smoking again. I’m not supposed to, but there it is. | 对,我又开始抽烟了 我不该抽,但无奈又开始 |
[09:45] | – Why is this kitchen such a mess? – We have a nice lady that comes in… | -厨房为什么这么乱? -我们有请一个女士 |
[09:50] | …but who knows when? | 但天晓得她何时会来? |
[09:53] | The fact is, I don’t know where anything is in here. | 事实上,我都不知道东西都放哪里 |
[09:56] | Daddy, what are you…? | 爸,你在做什么? |
[09:59] | Lately, I’ve been perfecting a zabaglione. | 最近我勤做一种叫“莎巴里宏” |
[10:02] | – You know what that is? – An Italian… | -你知道是什么吗? -意大利的 |
[10:06] | …custard sauce. – Correct, Ms. Cregg. | -软冻酱 -正确,葛瑞小姐 |
[10:09] | A custard, fabled for its restorative properties. | 软冻,据说有再生保健的功效 |
[10:13] | Somewhere in this kitchen is a copper pot with a curvy ass. I need it. | 厨房里有个圆底的铜锅 找给我 |
[10:20] | – Here. – Yeah. Good, good. | -这个? -对,很好,很好 |
[10:23] | Can’t do it without that. It facilitates the whipping at a far greater rate. | 做这种一定得用这锅子 才能快速搅拌 |
[10:30] | – How’s your job? – We’re happy. | -你的工作还顺利吗? -我们很快乐 |
[10:32] | – This is a time we… – Somewhere in this hellhole kitchen… | -这个时候,我们 -在这乱七八糟的厨房里 |
[10:36] | …is a really good bottle of Marsala wine. | 有瓶很棒的马沙拉葡萄酒 |
[10:39] | We get to… We have a window. | We get to… 我们快要我们有个窗口 我们要 |
[10:44] | We get to do… | 我们要 |
[10:45] | …actual work for a while. No more campaigning… Got it. | 运作一阵子 所以不再有选举活动了找到了 |
[10:50] | Oh, good. | 很好 |
[10:52] | You know, I like your man. His economic theories, so generous, so good. | 我喜欢你的老板 他的经济理论很宽大,很不错 |
[10:57] | But he hides his light under a bushel. Why is that? | 但他藏很多,这是为什么? |
[11:00] | You already… Dad… | 你已经爸 |
[11:03] | He wanted to win. He did so with honor. We played clean. | 他想赢,他是诚实的在竞选 我们是运作的很干净 |
[11:07] | That you did. That you did. I’m proud of you. | 你们的作为,我以你为荣 |
[11:10] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[11:13] | – You’re writing? – Yeah. A handbook… | -你在写书吗? -是的,一本手册 |
[11:15] | …for the teaching of mathematics to a generation of mathematically… | 是写给那些数学根本不行 的数学老师 |
[11:19] | …illiterate teachers. – That’s wonderful, Daddy. | -教数学用的 -真是太好了,爸 |
[11:22] | I was thinking of asking you to write a forward, but I suppose that’s… | 我想请你写篇序,但我想 |
[11:26] | …unethical, no? – No, I’d be happy to. | -这是违反伦理的,是吧? -不,我很乐意帮你写 |
[11:28] | Well, it seems to me that everything is intrinsically unethical these days. | 这些日子,我总觉得 所有的事都变得很违反伦理 |
[11:33] | -“Numerical Idiocy.” Catchy title. – Yeah. Well… | -《数字白痴》很呛的标题 -是,好 |
[11:36] | Go to the supermarket, they can’t make change. | 到超级市场,店员不会算帐 |
[11:39] | They can’t tell you that if you drive at 40 miles an hour for three hours… | 他们算不出 开了三小时时速四十里 |
[11:43] | …you’ve gone 260 miles. | 总计开了两百六十里 |
[11:48] | Daddy, 120. | 爸爸,是一百二十里 |
[11:51] | I have found that this pot is the very most efficient way of making a custard. | 我发现这个锅做软冻 是最有效率的方法 |
[11:56] | And I can only surmise that it’s because… | 我猜是的,因为 |
[11:59] | …it doesn’t allow eggs to stay in one place long enough… | 这锅子不会让蛋液 停留在一个点过久 |
[12:02] | …for them to get overcooked. | 导致煮得过熟 |
[12:08] | – I think you have to keep whipping. – What? | -我想你得继续搅拌 -什么? |
[12:11] | Hundred and twenty. Oh, God. Wow, senior moment. | 一百二十,天啊 一下子老糊涂了 |
[12:21] | Yeah, you have to… | 是的,你必须 |
[12:26] | Dad, maybe you need more help. | 爸,你也许需要更多协助 |
[12:30] | Everybody needs more help. | 大家都需要更多的协助 |
[12:32] | Yes, but I don’t think you’re doing as well as… | 是的,但我不认为 你能做好 |
[12:37] | I have to finish my book. Kids aren’t being taught any of the important things. | 我要写完我的书 小孩子没学到任何重点 |
[12:42] | Inductive reasoning, estimation. It’s gone. It’s all disappearing. | 归纳推理、估算的能力 全没有了,全都消失不见了 |
[12:50] | Oh, stop staring at me, darling. | 别盯着我看,亲爱的 |
[12:54] | You know you were brought up better than that. | 你是有教养的小孩 |
[13:19] | Daddy? | 爸? |
[13:51] | Archimedes is getting old. | 阿基米德已经老了 |
[13:56] | Where’s Molly? | 莫莉在哪里? |
[13:58] | Well, I mean… | 我说 |
[14:02] | Of course. She left. | 当然,她离开了 |
[14:05] | She left? What does that mean? | 她离开了?这是什么意思? |
[14:07] | This obviously isn’t much fun. | 这很明显的不是好玩的 |
[14:11] | – Not what she signed on for. – But this is what’s happening. | -这不是她签婚约时想的样子 -但这就是人生 |
[14:15] | You don’t just walk away. This is what’s happening to you. | 你不能就这样一走了之 这就是人生 |
[14:19] | Forty miles an hour for three hours has always been 120. | 三小时开了四十里的路 永远是一百二十 |
[14:26] | I don’t know what I was thinking. | 我不知道我在想什么 |
[14:44] | – Yeah, everything’s gone well here. -Is it? Good. | (星期六早上) -对,一切都很好 -是吗?很好 哪里有? 我搞丢你要的那个 国家艺术基金会的东西 |
[14:48] | Where’s the…? | |
[14:50] | I lost the… That NEA thing you wanted. | |
[14:54] | Lost it? It’s notes, there’s a file. | 丢了?那是批注,有个档案 |
[14:56] | Yeah, you needed me to polish a draft? | 是的,你要我修改草稿吗? |
[15:00] | There’s no draft to polish. That’s what I’m saying. | 没有要改草稿 |
[15:03] | There’s notes. I don ‘t have them here. | 我是说那里有批注,我手上没有 |
[15:04] | Well, I’m sure I can find it. | 我想我会找到的 |
[15:06] | I wanna be clear about the briefing. What I meant when I said… | 我想重申简报会时该注意的事项 我说 |
[15:09] | …that you need to know who to look at and when to ask certain questions… | 你必须知道看谁 何时问问题时 |
[15:13] | …is, avoid the calm ones. Get the anxious ones out of the way, sweetie… | 就是指别找安静的记者 找那些心急的,亲爱的 |
[15:18] | …to get the pros room to figure out what they want. | 给记者空间,让他们思考 他们真正要问的是什么 |
[15:20] | Avoid ones who don ‘t blink. They’re power devils. | 避免找那些连眼都不眨一下的人 他们是有势力的恶魔 |
[15:23] | – I don’t know what that is. -Yes, you do. | -我不知道那是什么 -会,你会知道的 |
[15:26] | Is anything happening? | 有发生什么事吗? |
[15:28] | The usual chaos, but minus 10 percent. | 一样的混乱 但减少了百分之十 |
[15:31] | – How are things? – Usual, uneventful, Dayton-esque. | -你一切都还好吗? -很平常、没意外事、没什么事 |
[15:35] | – How’s your father? – Fine. | -你爸还好吗? -很好 |
[15:38] | – And the wicked stepmother? – Even finer. | -邪恶的继母呢? -更好 |
[15:41] | – The weather? – Perfection. | -天气呢? -超好的 |
[15:43] | I’ll call you later. | 我待会再打给你 |
[15:52] | – Hi, Lib. – You come for the reunion… | -嗨,莉比 -你回来参加同学会 |
[15:55] | …but stay for the comfort and ease of home? | 但你住在舒适又轻松的家里? |
[15:57] | Yep, afraid so. | 是的,是这样 |
[16:01] | You have to stop being beautiful, sweetheart. | 有时候,你不要这么漂亮 |
[16:03] | – That would be today. – The speech, C.J. | -今天会很难看 -那个演讲,茜洁 |
[16:06] | -“The Promise of a Generation”? Really? – You going? | -“新世代的未来”?真的吗? -你会去吗? |
[16:09] | No. I think I know exactly why you’re here at 7:05 a.m. | 不会,我知道你为了什么 一早七点零五分就在这里 |
[16:13] | Your stepmom, she’s moved right back in. | 你的继母,她搬回来了 |
[16:17] | I prefer to think of your mother as my dad’s third wife, Libby. | 我认为你妈 是我爸的第三任老婆,莉比 |
[16:20] | Yeah? Let me tell you, it’s been fun. | 是吗?我告诉你 这件事很有趣 |
[16:22] | Come in, see if you can broker a deal. God knows I’ve tried. | 进来,看你是否能当中间人 天晓得我已经说破嘴了 |
[16:26] | I want lemonade. | 我要柠檬汁 |
[16:29] | You’ll get lemonade after you wash your hands, which have snail on them, Harry. | 洗手后才喝柠檬汁 你是玩过蜗牛的,哈利 |
[16:33] | Molly. | 莫莉 |
[16:34] | I failed, I know. Please, no lectures. | 莫莉 我知道我失败了 请不要再说教 |
[16:38] | – What happened? – Have you been there? Have you seen…? | -发生什么事了? -你去过那里了吗?你有看到? |
[16:41] | – Mom, nobody is… – I made a mistake. | -妈,没有人 -我犯了错 |
[16:44] | It was years of him being charming. You both know… | 多年来,他总是那么迷人 你们都知道 |
[16:48] | …how charming the man can be. – Yes, but… | -多么有魅力的男人 -是的,但是 |
[16:51] | I’m in the English department, he’s in the math. | 我教英文,他教数学 |
[16:54] | There were lunches. | 我们常常一起吃午餐 |
[16:56] | There were quiet lunches for years. | 我们秘密的 吃了几年的午餐 |
[16:59] | And we wait. Both of us, waiting, for years. | 我们在等待 我们彼此都等了好几年 |
[17:05] | After… | 在 |
[17:06] | …your mom died and I had married what’s-his-name… | 你妈过世后,我和那个 叫什么名字的,是已婚状态 |
[17:09] | …we were still two missed connections… | 我们两个又错过可能的连结 |
[17:13] | …two withered, married, ancient people waiting… | 两个凋零、已婚的老人 还在等着 |
[17:17] | Why didn’t you call me, Molly? | 你为什么不打电话给我,莫莉? |
[17:19] | I didn’t get to spend time with your father. | 我跟你父亲 没有实际相处的经验 |
[17:24] | We never had an affair. | 我们从来没有婚外情 |
[17:27] | I’m sorry, but I don’t want to diaper a man… | 抱歉,但我不想 帮一个男人换尿布 |
[17:29] | Shut up! Shut up. | 住口!住口 |
[17:33] | You were a wonderful teacher, Molly. You should be ashamed of yourself. | 你曾是很棒的老师,莫莉 你应该感到可耻 |
[17:38] | Well, I am. | 是的,我是 |
[17:41] | And did you know what the nickname for the disease is? | 你知道那个疾病的 另一个别名是什么吗? |
[17:46] | “The long goodbye.” | “漫长的告别” |
[17:48] | Not in your case, though, is it? More accurately… | 但不会是你,是吧? 你的情况,准确的说 |
[17:51] | …it’s”the short ‘see you later’ goodbye.” | 是“短短的再联络”吧? |
[17:54] | What happened to reciprocity? Do you ever imagine in a million years… | 什么叫互惠? 你有没有想过 |
[17:58] | …if the roles were reversed, he would ever do this to you? | 如果角色对换 他会这样子对待你吗? |
[18:01] | What you’re doing right now invalidates everything that came before… | 你现在的行为,让以前所有 |
[18:05] | …all the good, the years of teaching. This cancels a good and valuable life. | 教书的善行都为之抹灭了 你毁了一个有价值的好人生 |
[18:09] | – He needs you. – I need him! | -他需要你 -我也需要他! |
[18:20] | You came for the reunion? | 你回来参加同学会的吗? |
[18:23] | You’re giving a speech, aren’t you? | 你要演讲是吗? |
[18:26] | It was in the paper. | 报纸上有刊登 |
[18:28] | “The Promise of a Generation.” | “新世代的未来” |
[18:36] | We were going to go and stand in the back. | 我们会去参加,我们会站在后面 |
[18:46] | You remember how to do this? | 你记得怎么弄吗? |
[18:49] | It’s not in the wrist… | 不是用手腕 |
[18:51] | …it’s the fulcrum-and-lever effect, sort of. | 像是杠杆原理的作用 |
[18:55] | And then let it drift. | 然后让它漂流 |
[18:58] | And then let it sink. | 让它沉下去 |
[19:02] | And of course, then nothing happens, which is the fun part. | 然后,当然,什么都没发生 这是最有意思的部分了 |
[19:09] | How is she? You went to see her. | 她还好吗?你去见她了 |
[19:13] | – No, no. – Sweetie, I know when young people lie. | -不,不 -我看得出年轻人在说谎 |
[19:17] | Did she say how long she’s been gone? | 她有说她离开多久了吗? |
[19:19] | It seems like weeks. Has it been weeks or just a few days? | 似乎几个星期了 是几个星期或是几天? |
[19:22] | Dad, you know… | 爸,你知道 |
[19:24] | …we need to get some help if Molly won’t come back. We do. | 如果莫莉不回来 我们需要找人来帮忙,我们需要 |
[19:28] | Someone to come in and referee me? | 找人进来照顾我吗? |
[19:31] | We would figure something out. | 我们会想出办法的 |
[19:33] | You mean more than a nice lady from Catholic Family Services? | 你是指来自天主家扶中心 的热心女士吗? |
[19:36] | We have to find some way, because you being alone won’t work out now. | 我们要想办法 让你独处是行不通的 |
[19:40] | Why not? I can work around the clock, there’s so much to do. | 为什么不可以? 我整天都有事做,很多事可做 |
[19:44] | There’s a whole chapter on women and math anxiety. | 有一整章的 《女人与数学的焦虑》在等我 |
[19:46] | Because for years… Now why is that, that women underperformed in math? | 因为几十年来 为什么女人的数学都很差? |
[19:51] | – The teachers were sexist men? – Exactly. | -因为每个老师都是性感的男人吗? -正是如此 |
[19:53] | So there’s blocked women to be helped. | 所以得协助那些被迷昏头的女性 |
[19:56] | Here… | 来 |
[19:57] | …let me help you. | 我帮你 |
[20:03] | That’s good. Now, just… | 很好,现在只要 |
[20:05] | Nice and easy. Nice and easy. | 放轻松,像这样放轻松 |
[20:09] | And… | 然后 |
[20:12] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[20:13] | – You could hurt yourself. | – You could hurt yourself. -你会伤了自己 -你才会伤了自己 |
[20:16] | Look at that hook. Practically a nipple piercing. | 小心那个钩子 那可是真的会刺人的 |
[20:19] | You will hurt yourself. | 你会伤到你自己 |
[20:21] | – We can afford it. I can afford it. – Molly never liked to go fishing. | -我们付得起,我付得起 -莫莉从不喜欢钓鱼 |
[20:24] | She considered it devilish. I explained to her we throw them back, usually. | 她认为太可怕了,我跟她说 我们通常会把鱼放回去的 |
[20:29] | Mostly, I just like to stand and work the odds. | 大多时候,我只是喜欢站着 接受挑战 |
[20:33] | Have you… | 你有 |
[20:35] | …done…? Have you done anything… | 有做过?你曾试过任何方法 |
[20:39] | …seen doctors? – Doctors? | -有看过医生吗? -医生? |
[20:43] | My age smells of liniment and waiting rooms. No. I’ve researched. | 我这把年纪还要我散发着药味 在等候室过日子,不要,我研究过 |
[20:48] | There’s a new drug, Reminyl. | 有新的药物,叫利忆灵 |
[20:51] | – Buys you a few months, they say. – We could arrange to see someone. | -据说可以拖几个月 -我们能安排看某个医生 |
[20:55] | Lee Voight, he’s your friend. He’s a terrific neurologist. | 李佛艾特,他是你的朋友 他是很棒的神经科医师 |
[20:59] | It’s such a beautiful day, Molly. I’d prefer not to screw it up with all that. | 今天天气真好,莫莉 我不想谈这件事 |
[21:05] | – Dad, I’m not… – Molly, please, please! This nagging. | -爸,我不是 -莫莉,请不要再念了! |
[21:08] | Can’t we just enjoy it here…? | 我们就不能 好好的享受时光? |
[21:10] | – Dad, I’m not Molly. – You’re not Molly. You’re not Molly. | -爸,我不是莫莉 -你不是莫莉,你不是莫莉 |
[21:15] | Who…? Who the hell are you? Who the hell are you? | 谁?你是谁?你是谁? |
[21:18] | Who the hell are you? Who are you? All these damn women hounding me! | 你到底是谁?你是谁? 你们这些围绕着我的女人! |
[21:23] | My mother, my mother calls this morning… | 我妈,我妈今天早上打电话来 |
[21:25] | …to remind me to fold the socks when I get back in… | 提醒我回家后要折好袜子 |
[21:28] | …and my daughter just abandoned me. | 我女儿抛弃我 |
[21:31] | Mothers, wives, daughters, and none of them stay. All these damn women! | 母亲、妻子、女儿,没一个留下的 这些可恶的女人! |
[21:58] | Dad… | 爸 |
[22:02] | You… | 你 |
[22:06] | …cannot expect me to silently do nothing. | 不能叫我什么都别管 |
[22:11] | You are going to require care. | 你需要被照顾 |
[22:13] | I wasn’t built for it. | 那不适合我 |
[22:16] | – You came for the prom, not for this. – Reunion. I’m not going. | -你是来参加毕业舞会,不是为此 -是同学会,我不去了 |
[22:20] | Coward. | 懦夫 |
[22:22] | That world. The expertise, the solicitude, no. | 什么专业、关切的世界 |
[22:27] | No, thanks. | 不,谢了 |
[22:28] | I want to go down with some silence, with my music and some grace. | 我想安静的、伴随着我的音乐 有尊荣的躺下 |
[22:33] | I’ll quit and take care of you. | 我辞职来照顾你 |
[22:39] | “We sail,” said Pascal, “in a vast sphere,” Claudia Jean. | “我们航行”巴斯卡说 “在�E瀚的星球” ,茜洁 |
[22:44] | “Ever drifting in uncertainty… | “在恒久的迷惑中漂流 |
[22:47] | …driven from end to end.” | 从一个终点漂流到 另一个终点” |
[22:54] | I’d much rather see you on TV, darling… | 我宁可常在电视上看到你 亲爱的 |
[22:57] | …than sitting opposite me, watching a demolition derby going on in my brain. | 也不希望你坐在我眼前 看着我的头脑坏死 (星期六下午) |
[23:35] | – I’m here under duress, Lee. – Yeah, Tal? Big deal, so am I. | -我是被挟持来的,李 -是吗?有啥大不了,我也一样 |
[23:40] | Stop it, both of you. I’m very upset and don’t wanna laugh. | 够了,你们两个 我很不舒服,也不想笑 |
[23:43] | Look, it’s a subtle disease, and it creeps up on you, Tal. | 这是个复杂的疾病 它会慢慢吞掉你的,泰尔 |
[23:47] | One-hundred-and-seventy-five thousand people will be diagnosed this year. | 今年将有十七万五千人 被诊断出患有这个疾病 |
[23:51] | Why on earth would a statistic like that comfort me? | 干嘛用这种统计数字 来安慰我? |
[23:55] | I thought you liked numbers. | 我以为你喜欢数字 |
[23:57] | I’m not trying to comfort you. I’m talking to you like an old pal. | 我不是想要安慰你 我像老朋友一样在和你谈话 |
[24:02] | You used to play golf with me, and you just stopped. | 你以前和我打高尔夫球 后来你突然就不打了 |
[24:06] | What? I used to play golf, and I stopped? | 什么?我以前打高尔夫球 但我不打了? |
[24:10] | I wondered why. Now I know. | 我一直猜想为什么 现在我知道了 |
[24:13] | We like to say it’s not a disease where you forget where you put the key… | 这不是一种会忘了 把钥匙放在哪里的疾病 |
[24:18] | …it’s where you forget what the key is for. | 而是会忘记钥匙的用途 |
[24:20] | I know what the key is for, and I know what the door is for… | 我知道钥匙的用途 我知道门的用处 |
[24:24] | …and I think I’ll use it. – You’re not alone. | -我想我要用门了 -你不是孤独的 |
[24:27] | You’re not the first or the last, pal. | 你不是第一个 也不是最后一个,伙伴 |
[24:30] | Ten percent of the people over 65 have it. | 超过六十五岁以上的人 百分之十患有这种疾病 |
[24:33] | That lumps me in with several million other poor souls. | 我和几百万个可怜虫 同病相怜,噢耶! |
[24:37] | There are new drugs. | 现在有新的药物 |
[24:38] | Yeah. They’re not bad. They’re not “knock them out of the ballpark” either. | 是的,效果还不错 但也不是能将疾病统统治好的药 |
[24:42] | We can slow it down. | 我们可以延缓病情 |
[24:45] | Good. He can slow it down. | 很好,他要让病情延缓 |
[24:47] | – What a concept. – You shouldn’t be alone, Tal. | -这算什么概念 -你不应该独处,泰尔 |
[24:52] | Having someone there helps keep it at bay. Alone is not good. | 最好找个人去帮忙看着 独处是不好的 |
[24:55] | I’m not alone. I have my book and a cat, right? | 我不是独处的,我有书 有一只猫,不是吗? |
[24:59] | So we have a little while, unfortunately, before I begin not to recognize you, Lee. | 所以我们会有一小段时间 然后我才会开始认不出你来,李 |
[25:06] | But you didn’t recognize me. | 但你已经认不得我了 |
[25:08] | You covered, and I saw it, and that’s going to last longer… | 你隐瞒了,我感觉到了 这情况会持续更久 |
[25:12] | …and happen more and more. | 更常发生 |
[25:14] | And by the way, what the hell happened with Molly? | 此外,莫莉怎么了? |
[25:19] | It’s”hard on the spouse,” isn’t it? I read that. | 我读过医学的说法这种病 是会让配偶很辛苦的,不是吗? |
[25:24] | We need to make plans, Lee. | 我们得规划一下,李 |
[25:26] | Let’s not sugarcoat this. | 我们不要说假话 |
[25:29] | Known you for a long time, and I just want to say this… | 认识你很久了,我想说 |
[25:33] | …because I know you’ve always been a straight shooter. | 我知道你一直是正直的人 |
[25:36] | Because you hate being a burden… | 你不想成为一个包袱 |
[25:39] | …you’re probably aware it’s… | 你大概了解到 |
[25:41] | …harder on the people around you than it will be on you. | 你身边的人将会比你更痛苦 |
[25:44] | For you, it will be… | 对你来说,将不会 |
[25:47] | …not unpleasant… | 感到不舒服 |
[25:49] | …particularly if we put you on the right drugs, including antidepressants. | 尤其是,如果用对了药物 包括抗忧郁症的药 |
[25:54] | It won’t hurt. | 你不会感到痛苦的 |
[25:57] | If only that were true, kids. | 如果真是那样,孩子 |
[26:08] | He’s too smart. It’s no good. He won’t be handled. | 他太聪明了,这样没用 他不想受人操控 |
[26:11] | He’s getting paranoid and mad and trying to fight. | 他变得很偏激、易怒 很想吵架 |
[26:14] | – Yes. – Well, that’s good. Mad is good. | -是的 -很好,愤怒是好的 |
[26:16] | He should be mad. It sucks. | 他应该发怒,人生就是这样 |
[26:20] | Look, C. J… | 听我说,茜洁 |
[26:23] | …there is a good home. It’s actually not depressing in any way. | 有个很好的看护中心 不是会让人消沉的地方 |
[26:28] | We can get him in if we make a call now. | 如果我们现在打个电话 就可以让他住进去 |
[26:32] | He has a while, I think… | 他还有一点点时间,我想 |
[26:34] | …but you’re going to have to start making plans right now, today. | 不过你现在就必须开始规划 今天就要做出决定 |
[26:41] | – Should we buy a corsage for the prom? – Reunion. I’m not going. | -我们该买舞会的胸花吗? -是同学会,我不去 |
[26:44] | You damn well are. Your speech, “Promise of a Generation.” | 你敢,你的演讲 “新世代的未来” |
[26:49] | – Awfully grand title, no? – They came up with it. | -多大的一个题目,不是吗? -题目是他们想出来的 |
[26:52] | I agreed because I wanted to see you. | 我答应是因为我想回来看你 |
[26:54] | No, you didn’t. | 不,你不是 |
[26:58] | You could come and live in Washington with me. I have room. | 你可以搬到华盛顿和我住 我有空房间 |
[27:01] | Do you? Can you imagine? Talk about ruining a good thing. | 是吗?你能想像吗? 何须破坏一件美好的事情 |
[27:08] | Okay, let’s see, is this Lakeside or Grandview? | 好的,我来看看 这是湖边街或丽景街的? |
[27:14] | I know why you started smoking again. | 我知道你又开始抽烟的原因 |
[27:16] | You use the time it gives you to work stuff out. | 你利用抽烟给你的时间思考 |
[27:18] | – You use the cigarette to stall for time. – No, sweetie, I started smoking again… | -你用香烟来拖时间 -不,我会开始抽烟 |
[27:22] | …because I forgot 20 years ago, I quit. – Great. That’s great. | -是因为我忘了二十年前有戒烟 -很好,说得非常好 |
[27:28] | See? I know exactly what I’m doing. | 看吧?我完全知道我在做什么 |
[27:33] | Dad. Dad! | 爸,爸! |
[27:37] | – Hello? – So how’s it going? | -哈��? -情况如何? |
[27:39] | – Please tell me everything’s okay. -All quiet in the West Wing. | -请告诉我一切都很好 -西厢办公室整个静下来了 |
[27:44] | What’s all that honking? | 那些喇叭声是什么? |
[27:46] | You in a parade? | 你在参加游行吗? |
[27:47] | – They having a parade for you? – Let’s talk later. | -他们为你举办游行吗? -待会儿再谈 |
[27:51] | Pull over, I’m driving. Pull over. | 把车停在路边,我来开车 停到路边 |
[27:59] | – Well, let’s go, if we’re going. – I mean… | -我们如果要走,就走吧 -我是指 |
[28:04] | Tell me… | 告诉我 |
[28:06] | Things like your checkbook, money, things like that, what do you propose? | 像你的支票簿、钱 这类重要物品,你打算怎么做? |
[28:11] | – Tell me. You’re smart, tell me. – I’m pretty good with numbers. | -告诉我,你很聪明 -我本来就对数字很灵敏 |
[28:14] | Oh? If we drove for three hours at 40 miles an hour? | 是吗?如果我们时速是四十里 开了三小时? |
[28:18] | I mean, tell me. You are holding on to something that… | 我是指,告诉我 你在坚持的是 |
[28:21] | – What? My consciousness? Identity? …can’t be willed away… | -什么?我的意识?身分? -是无法 |
[28:24] | – Tell me, brilliant woman! …by sheer force! | -告诉我,聪明的女人! -无法靠自己的力量去对抗的! |
[28:26] | Would you hand over those things without a fight? | 难道你就会乖乖的认命吗? |
[28:34] | I need a little more time, C.J. | 我还需要一点时间,茜洁 |
[28:38] | If I let it in on its own pace, it’ll just get dark faster. | 如果我认命的接受了 黑暗会来得更快 (星期六晚上) |
[29:10] | The same is true for the bailout of the iron industry. | 对钢铁工业的抒困 同样是真的 |
[29:13] | Nothing was said that has not been… | 所有的话之前都说过了 |
[29:16] | That has consistently not been said, and it’s still being not said. | 没说过的话 仍然不能说出来 |
[29:22] | And what’s… What’s not being said is often more important… | 而什么还没说的事情 通常比已经发表的更为重要 |
[29:27] | … than what’s stated, particularly by Congress. | 尤其是那些国会发表过的内容 |
[29:29] | – That man lacks grace and charm. – Do you think? | -那个人缺乏优雅和魅力 -你这样觉得吗? |
[29:40] | At 0600 hours, the president… | 上午六点时,总统 |
[29:43] | – They really need you. – Yeah, they kind of do. | -他们真的需要你 -是,他们有这种需要 |
[29:48] | Dad? Dad, can you get the door? | 爸?爸?你能帮我开门吗? |
[30:00] | Mr. Arlen! I heard you were back in town. | 亚林斯先生! 我听说你回来了 |
[30:04] | Mr. Cregg. How’s the algebra business? | 葛瑞先生 你的代数生意做得如何? |
[30:07] | An abysmal mess, I hear. | 我听说是一片混乱 |
[30:09] | But fortunately, as the waitresses like to say,”Not my table.” | 不过还好,就像女服务生爱说的 “反正不是我服务的桌子” |
[30:13] | – Come on in. – Thank you. | -请进 -谢谢你 |
[30:16] | You’re no longer a rabid punk rocker, I see. | 你不再是个激烈的 庞克摇滚乐手 |
[30:19] | How could you possibly remember that? I was your student for one semester. | 你怎么可能记得? 我只上过你一学期的课 |
[30:23] | I remember the detentions and the ditchings and the low test scores… | 我记得留校察看、罚清水沟 以及你差劲的考试成绩 |
[30:27] | …and your imperviousness to algorithms. | 以及你反应迟钝的数学运算 |
[30:30] | – Let’s get you a drink. – Scotch? | -我拿酒给你喝 -苏格兰威士忌吗? |
[30:33] | You’re better-looking with a Mohawk. | 短印第安发型比较适合你,孩子 |
[30:35] | Yeah, my mom thinks so too. | 是,我妈也这样认为 |
[30:38] | – So, what you up to now? – I’m a horologist. | -你现在做什么? -我是钟表师 |
[30:41] | You fix watches? | 你修理手表吗? |
[30:47] | – You were in trouble. – Yeah. I spent a lot of time in detention. | -你又惹麻烦 -是的,我常被留校察看 |
[30:51] | No, no. After. | 不,不,之后 |
[30:52] | – You were in prison. – No. Dad, no. He gets confused. | -你被关在牢里 -不,爸,不,他搞糊涂了 |
[30:57] | – Dad, no. Marco wasn’t in prison. – Yes, I was. | -爸,不,马可没被关过 -是,我有 |
[31:01] | I did a year. It wasn’t hard, I was younger. Stock tips. | 我被关一年,并不辛苦 当时我年纪轻,内线交易 |
[31:06] | Anyway, I lost most of what I had and moved on. | 总之,我失去所有 然后继续前进 |
[31:09] | C’est la guerre, eh, son? | 一场苦战吧,孩子? |
[31:12] | So, what’s the skinny? | 那是什么样的工作? |
[31:15] | You good with the watches? | 你对手表很熟悉吗? |
[31:19] | Yes, sir. | 是的,先生 |
[31:25] | 1931 Hamilton. | 一九三一年的汉米顿 |
[31:27] | One of the few thoroughly American watches. | 少数的一只纯种美国手表 |
[31:30] | Each piece, each part, handmade in the U.S. of A. | 每个部分,每个零件 都是在美国纯手工做的 |
[31:33] | – Not many American watchmakers. – My dad’s. | -美国的钟表匠并没有很多 -这是我父亲的 |
[31:37] | – You’re losing time, Mr. Cregg. – That, son, I am. | -你的时间正在流逝,葛瑞先生 -孩子,是的 |
[31:41] | – Let’s have a look inside. – Really? | -我们看看里头的状况 -真的吗? |
[31:44] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[31:53] | – Your isochronism is out of beat. – Is it? | -你的等时系统不准了 -是吗? |
[31:58] | This is your balance cock… | 这是你的摆轮夹板 |
[32:01] | …and your hairspring. | 和你的游丝 |
[32:04] | The fourth wheel and the third wheel here. | 第四轮和俗称电灯泡的第三轮 |
[32:06] | That’s me. | 我就是电灯泡 |
[32:09] | Oh, God. What am I thinking? You kids should get going. | 天啊,我在想什么? 你们应该出发了 |
[32:12] | Maybe we should. | 也许我们应该走了 |
[32:14] | I’ve always cherished this thing. My father kept perfect time… | 我总是很珍惜这东西 我父亲很重视时间 |
[32:18] | …marked it, measured it with this, the hellos and goodbyes. | 与人有约都会用这个来 准确的对时间、算时间 |
[32:22] | It keeps faltering. Nobody can do anything. | 现在这手表已逐渐衰弱 没有人能修理了 |
[32:26] | Well, I could retool it. It wants a timing machine. | 我能重新整修 只需要换个测时系统就好 |
[32:30] | Send it to you in a few weeks from Paris. | 几星期就可以从巴黎寄回给你 |
[32:32] | France? | 法国? |
[32:34] | You’re a convicted felon. How do I know you won’t steal it? | 你是重刑犯,我怎么知道 你不会偷走? |
[32:37] | I’m not a recidivist. It’d be a pleasure, Mr. Cregg. After all… | 我不是惯窃,我很乐意帮忙 葛瑞先生,毕竟 |
[32:40] | …you taught me how to calculate the number of stones in the Great Pyramid. | 你有教会我如何计算 金字塔石头的数量 |
[32:45] | I did? | 我有吗? |
[32:47] | How do you do that? | 你怎么算的? |
[32:50] | I can’t remember anything. For days, sometimes. | 我都不记得了 有时,会有好几天都这样 |
[32:59] | I can’t remember who this is. | 我不记得这个人是谁 |
[33:18] | – We should be going, Mr. Cregg. – Oh, forgive me. | -我们得走了,葛瑞先生 -抱歉 |
[33:46] | Are we that old? | 我们有这么老吗? |
[33:48] | Do you recognize anyone? | 你能认出谁吗? |
[33:52] | Bill Morton from debate. | 辩论社的比尔摩顿 |
[33:54] | Julia Keller, cheerleading. | 啦啦队队长茱莉亚凯勒 |
[33:58] | Liz Varney from tennis. | 网球社的丽兹凡尼 |
[34:00] | Ben Ehrenreich. | 宾伊凡瑞特 |
[34:03] | He was sweet. | 他很热情 |
[34:05] | He tried to kiss me once. | 有一次他还想吻我 (托比,西厢办公室,机密) |
[34:18] | I don’t think I can… | 我不认为我 |
[34:21] | …face it right now. | 我现在无法面对大家 |
[34:29] | – When do you give your speech? – After dinner, before the scary dancing. | -你什么时候演讲? -晚餐后,吓人的舞会之前 |
[34:34] | After dinner? | 晚餐后吗? |
[35:38] | I’m, like… I’m, like, on in a few minutes. | 我,我好像就快要上台了 |
[35:41] | No, that clock’s 20 minutes fast. | 不,那个时钟快了二十分 |
[35:47] | Anyway, you’re about to find out. | 总之,你快找到了 |
[35:49] | What am I about to find out? | 我快找到什么? |
[35:51] | The bittersweet thrill of high school popularity. | 高中时期苦乐参半的岁月 |
[35:57] | There were days, some days when… | 当年,有时 |
[36:02] | …we’d played at a party, The Mollusks, or we’d won a baseball game… | 我们莫路斯克乐团会在舞会表演 或是在我们赢得棒球比赛时 |
[36:07] | …and there was just that thing… | 就是会那样 |
[36:14] | …that everybody loving you in that moment. | 每一个人都会喜欢你 |
[36:20] | Are you saying… | 你是说 |
[36:23] | …you’re one of those people who think, like in F. Scott Fitzgerald… | 你就像文学家费兹杰罗那些人 你们认为 |
[36:26] | …their best years were 20 years prior? – Oh, God, no. | -他们的黄金年代是二十年前? -天啊,不是 |
[36:30] | No, I think the best day’s gotta be the next day. | 不,我认为最好的日子 是明天 |
[36:34] | Life is… | 人生就是 |
[36:37] | …all what’s next. | 每一个明天串成的 |
[36:40] | It’s like those billboards where, before the actual ad goes up… | 就像在广告招牌上面 有些尚未张贴广告的 |
[36:45] | …they put in, in big block letters: | 他们用会黑色大字体写着的: |
[36:50] | “Watch this space.” | “请留意此区” |
[37:08] | My name is C.J. Cregg. | 我是茜洁葛瑞 (西德顿高中) |
[37:17] | As you know, I work for the president of the United States. | 诚如各位所知 我为美国总统工作 |
[37:21] | This is why I was asked to make a short speech for our reunion. | 因此我被邀请参加同学会 发表演说 |
[37:27] | It’s a terrible subject, a terrible idea, “the promise of a generation.” | 这是个可怕的主题,可怕的主意 “新世代的未来” |
[37:33] | So bad… | 很糟 |
[37:34] | …I was gonna start with a joke and fill the whole thing with more jokes. | 我原想说笑话 而且整个演讲要说满很多笑话 |
[37:38] | But I find the topic has gotten under my skin while I wasn’t paying attention. | 后来,我发现这主题 在不经意中,深深地植入我心 |
[37:44] | Because every generation has promise… | 因为每个世代都有未来 |
[37:47] | …and every generation fails that promise in some respects. | 每个世代在某方面 也都无法信守对未来的承诺 |
[37:51] | How can we not? What is promise if not something impossible to live up to? | 为何不能?若非很难兑现的事情 岂叫承诺? |
[37:56] | My boss had to recently make his case to the American people… | 我的老板最近必须把他的承诺 展现给美国人 |
[38:00] | …that he was worth reelecting, and it was… | 证明他是值得再次被选上的 |
[38:04] | …not an easy process, nor should it be. | 这不是简单的过程 也不应该是 |
[38:08] | And in its wake, I’ve been thinking a lot about civility… | 这段时间给我启示 我因思考而谦恭 |
[38:14] | …civic duty and kindness… | 公民义务和仁慈 |
[38:17] | …and how pervasive and powerful they are. | 以及这些特质的力量与渗透力 |
[38:20] | How enduringly persuasive those qualities are in American life… | 与在美国的生活当中 这些特质所具有的永续说服力 |
[38:25] | …and how I see them all around me day after day. | 日复一日,我如何看待这些特质 |
[38:32] | America is a terribly difficult idea… | 美国代表一个非常困难的理想 |
[38:35] | …filled with promise and impossible to live up to. | 充满了不可能实践的未来 |
[38:40] | Promise is inchoate, and promise is what binds us. | 尚未完备的未来 约束着我们的未来 |
[38:44] | Some of us died, some got sick… | 我们之中有人过世 有人生病 |
[38:47] | …some got rich, some had bad luck… | 有人富有,有人倒霉 |
[38:52] | …some of us were fortunate more than others. | 也有人比别人更幸运 |
[39:00] | But failed promise only truly fails when it leads to lowered expectations. | 但唯有导致人民降低期望的未来 才是真正失败的未来 |
[39:07] | I’m… | 我 |
[39:12] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[39:16] | Excuse me one sec. | 请等一下 |
[39:20] | Toby, not now. Not now. Not in the… | 托比,现在不可以,现在不行 不可以在 |
[39:22] | Something’s happened. Turn on CNN. | 出事了,转到CNN |
[39:24] | I hope it’s monumental, not some joke… | 我希望这是极为重大的 而非玩笑 |
[39:26] | …timed to the exact moment I’m giving my speech. | 目前我人正在讲台上演讲 |
[39:29] | It is. Two car bombs outside our embassies in Asia. | 很重要,我们在亚洲的美国大使馆外 有两辆汽车炸弹 |
[39:32] | One went off, one didn’t. A message to expect more of the same… | 一辆爆炸,另一辆没有 有封讯息表示将有后续的爆炸 |
[39:36] | …within the next 24 hours. Four. – Oh, jeez. How many? | -在二十四小时内会发生四次 -有多少人伤亡? |
[39:39] | No casualties, thank God. If you can try and get back… | 没有人伤亡,感谢上帝 如果你能赶回来 |
[39:44] | There are no direct flights, but if you connect out of Chicago… | 没有直飞的班机 但你若能到芝加哥以外转机 |
[39:48] | …you can be in, we think, at 6:30 in the morning. | 我们认为早上六点三十分 你可以赶回来 |
[39:52] | Let me get moving. I’ll call you on my way to the airport. | 我要离开了,等一下在机场途中 我再打给你 |
[39:55] | Okay. | 好的 |
[39:57] | I’m sorry. I have to go. There’s been… We have… | 我很抱歉,我必须离开了 有一个我们有 |
[40:00] | I’m sorry, I… | 我很抱歉,我 |
[40:04] | – What is it? – Some bombing threats to embassies. | -出什么事? -有针对大使馆的炸弹威胁 |
[40:06] | I’m sorry, I have to get to the airport and get back to D.C. | 抱歉,我必须赶到机场 赶回华盛顿 |
[40:09] | I’ll get the car. | 我去开车 |
[40:11] | – You all right? – I have to go. | -你还好吗? -我必须要走了 |
[40:14] | Tal, I don’t know what to do about this situation. | 泰尔,我不知道 如何处理我们这个状况 |
[40:17] | Nobody does. We’ll just try and figure it out. | 没有人会,我们会努力想办法的 |
[40:19] | I mean, between the lot of us, there’s surely one superior mind still working. | 我们这些凡夫俗子之上 还有一个不凡的智慧在上运作 |
[40:23] | – I don’t know whose. – Right. | -我不知道是谁 -没错 |
[40:25] | We’ll drive with you if you like. | 需要的话,我们可以陪你去机场 |
[40:31] | C.J. | 茜洁 |
[40:33] | Before I forget… | 趁我还没忘 |
[40:36] | …tell Marco: | 跟马可说: |
[40:37] | Send it back to me soon, please… | 尽快寄回给我 |
[40:41] | …and working. | 赶快弄 |
[40:45] | Time matters. | 时间是不等人的 |
[40:54] | I’ll see you next week. | 我们下个星期见 |
[40:57] | You can’t keep flying back and forth. | 你不能一直坐飞机 回来探望我 |