时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:08] | You’re one vote down on foreign aid. | 你对外交援助投反对票 |
[00:10] | Was it a bad idea to make the first bill a controversial one? | 让第一个法案变得有争议性 很不好吗? |
[00:13] | The president doesn’t believe that should be taken into consideration. | 总统不认为有必要伤此脑筋 |
[00:17] | You’re the first lady. You need a chief of staff, a real one. | 你是第一夫人 你需要你的幕僚长,一个行家 |
[00:20] | If you want your agenda taken seriously, put a professional face on it. | 若你希望议题被列入考虑 就要做得专业一点 |
[00:24] | – You got a fax from Amy. – Read it. | -有一封艾咪传来的传真 -念出来 |
[00:26] | “First lady took your advice. She hired me.” | “第一夫人接受你的建议 她聘用我” |
[00:28] | And we should cross borders to bring schools and teachers… | 我们应该跨国界 把学校和老师带到 |
[00:31] | …to parts of the world forgotten by all but the warlords. | 被世界遗忘且被军阀统治的地方 |
[00:35] | We’re gonna pass this Foreign Ops Bill. | 我们要通过这个 外交援助法案 剧名:民船船长 |
[00:45] | – Hello? – Mr. President, it’s 6 a.m. | -哈��? -总统先生,现在是六点 |
[00:49] | Okay. | 好的 |
[00:51] | I didn’t ask for a 5? | 我没吩咐五点叫我吗? |
[00:53] | You did, sir, and the first lady changed it to 6. | 有的,第一夫人改到六点 |
[00:56] | – She’s allowed to do that? – Sir? | -她可以这么做? -先生? |
[00:58] | It’s okay, thanks. | 没关系,谢谢 |
[01:02] | You’re up? | 你起来了? |
[01:03] | Yeah. What the hell’s going on? | 是的,怎么回事? |
[01:05] | I gave you an extra hour. I checked the scheduling. | 我让你多睡一小时 我检查过行程表了 |
[01:08] | No reason why you couldn’t sleep an extra hour. | 你没理由不能多睡一小时 |
[01:10] | I know. When she called, I was gonna say,”Call back in an hour”… | 我知道,当她打来时 我会说“一小时后再打来” |
[01:14] | …and go to sleep. I was gonna do it myself. | 然后再睡一会,我本来就要这样 |
[01:16] | – You had a little plan. – Yeah, now I missed the whole thing. | -原来你是有计划的 -对,现在全泡汤了 |
[01:19] | I accidentally blew your plan. | 我意外破坏你的计划 |
[01:21] | You had advisors on this and everything, didn’t you? | 你有各类顾问照料你所有的事 不是吗? |
[01:24] | And you had memos from senior staff on Operation Human Snooze Button. | 你有资深幕僚 给你当人工智慧闹钟 |
[01:29] | Operation Resting Eagle. | 是睡鹰行动小组 |
[01:31] | Oh, no. | 不 |
[01:33] | Please tell me you didn’t really name it. | 你不会真的取这个名字吧? |
[01:35] | You know, I was having a little fun in my sleep. It’s how I relax. | 我睡觉时也要有点乐趣 这是我放松的方法 |
[01:38] | Wait. | 等一等 |
[01:40] | Let me put my glasses on. | 我把眼镜戴上 |
[01:42] | Something’s turning me on about you, Abbey. | 有某种东西让我觉得你很迷人 艾碧 |
[01:44] | Can’t tell why. | 可是说不上来 |
[01:47] | – My hair’s wet. – Oh, yeah. | -我的头发是湿的 -哦,对! |
[01:49] | I was working out. | 我去运动 |
[01:52] | I got in late last night. | 昨天我很晚才回来 |
[01:54] | I know. That’s why I changed the call. | 我知道,所以我才调时间 |
[01:56] | We didn’t even leave Nashville until after 10. | 我们十点后才离开纳许维尔 |
[01:59] | I ended up touring a weapons research facility in Oak Ridge. | 最后我变成是去橡山的 一所武器研究机构参观 |
[02:03] | They’ve got one of the most powerful reactors in the world. | 他们有全世界最强大的反应炉 |
[02:06] | They were able to show me… | 他们展示给我看 |
[02:07] | …an insulin molecule… | 一个胰岛素分子 |
[02:09] | …basically… | 基本上 |
[02:11] | …scoop up two zinc ions. | 可以吞掉两个锌离子 |
[02:13] | Before your very eyes. | 就呈现在你的眼前 |
[02:15] | You’re a scientist, and you’re making fun of this? | 你是科学家 却嘲笑这种研究? |
[02:17] | No. I’m making fun of you. | 不,我是在嘲笑你 |
[02:19] | Anyway, look, I’m trying to tell you something. | 我只是想告诉你这件事 |
[02:22] | – Good morning. – Good morning, ma’am. | -早安 -早安,夫人 |
[02:30] | – That’s okay. I’m gonna get that. – Thank you. | -没关系,我拿 -谢谢你 |
[02:33] | Oh, would you like me to lay out the papers? | 需要我把报纸摊开吗? |
[02:35] | – No, I’ll get them, thanks. – Yes, sir. | -不,我自己来,谢谢 -是的,先生 |
[02:39] | Lay out the papers, yes. And today… | 摊开报纸,是啊 今天 |
[02:41] | …I’d like you to alphabetize them. | 我要你按字母顺序排列 |
[02:43] | He’s just doing his job. | 他只是尽他的职责 |
[02:46] | Anyway, when we finally got back from Nashville… | 总之,我们从纳许维尔回来后 |
[02:49] | …Leo was waiting. | 里奥在等着 |
[02:50] | What’s going on with Leo and Jordan these days? | 里奥和乔登最近到底怎么了? |
[02:53] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[02:54] | But we’ll be interested in that less right now than we are in other things. | 但此刻我们对别的事情 比较有兴趣 |
[02:58] | – What’s the trouble, Sheriff Taylor? – Foreign Ops came out of markup. | -有什么麻烦,泰勒局长吗? -外交援助法案有附加条款 |
[03:01] | – How is it? – It’s good. | -还好吗? -很好 |
[03:03] | They only cut two billion. | 他们只删二十亿 |
[03:04] | They shifted half a billion from the sub-Saharan to Western Europe… | 他们将十亿从撒哈拉沙漠 移到欧洲西部 |
[03:08] | …because crippling hunger in Provence… | 因为法国普罗旺斯 饥渴地想要 |
[03:10] | …gave the lactose intolerant a problem with… I don’t know. I can live with that. | 解决乳糖过敏症的问题 我不知道,我可以设法忍受 |
[03:14] | – Good. – Clancy Bangert attached an amendment. | -很好 -克兰西巴格特追加修正条款 |
[03:18] | – Stipulating what? – Stipulating that Foreign Ops dollars… | -什么规定? -规定外交援助的钱 |
[03:21] | …wouldn’t go to any overseas clinics that counsel abortion. | 不能转入任何进行��胎谘询的 海外诊所 |
[03:25] | – Is that out of the blue? – Yeah. | -真是突然? -是啊 |
[03:28] | – It is… Or it was… – This is the Senate. | -这是这以前是 -是参议院决定的 |
[03:31] | – They can do that. – I was just asking. | -他们有权 -我是在问 |
[03:33] | – Does Bangert leave any indication…? – No, there’s no indication. | -巴格特有任何说明? -没有,没有表示 |
[03:36] | Bangert doesn’t let me know what he’s thinking. | 巴格特不想让我知道 他在想什么 |
[03:39] | Hey, hey, I was just asking you. | 嘿,嘿,我只是问问 |
[03:40] | There’s a handful and a half of cranky, conservative senators… | 那里有一堆难缠又保守的 怪怪参议员 |
[03:45] | …who want this stuff and who are waiting to pounce. It happened. | 他们一直想这么做 机会一来,他们便突然成功了 |
[03:48] | – Clancy wants to reinstate the gag rule. – Yeah. | -克兰西想恢复言论钳制条款 -是的 |
[03:52] | – Is the bill sunk? – I’m sorry? | -这法案会完蛋吗? -什么? |
[03:55] | How many Democrats are defecting? | 多少民主党员变节? |
[03:57] | – I don’t know. – How many would defect if you asked? | -还不知道 -如果你问他们,有多少人会变节? |
[03:59] | – I don’t know. – You didn’t make the calls? | -我不知道 -你还没打电话? |
[04:01] | I’m not prepared to do that. | 我还不准备行动 |
[04:03] | What would happen if you said,”Send me this bill with the gag rule, I’ll veto.” | 若你说“把言论钳制法案送来 我要否决”会有什么结果? |
[04:07] | – I don’t know. – You talk to leadership? | -我不知道 -你和领导层级谈过吗? |
[04:09] | I’m not prepared to do that. | 我不打算那样做 |
[04:11] | It’s not that money can’t go to clinics that perform abortions. | 不是钱不能进��胎诊所的问题 |
[04:14] | It can’t go to clinics that talk about abortions. | 不能去主张��胎的诊所才是问题 |
[04:17] | – I know what the gag rule is. – I wasn’t reminding you what it was. | -我知道什么是言论钳制 -我不是要提醒你言论钳制的事 |
[04:20] | I was reminding you that you sent 11,000 U.S. troops to Kundu… | 我是在提醒你,你派了一万一千个 美国军人去甘杜 |
[04:25] | …because on your inauguration… | 因为在你的就职典礼上 |
[04:27] | …you told us that we were for freedom of speech everywhere. | 你告诉我们,我们是为了 要让全世界都享有言论自由 |
[04:30] | Great, except people are starving to death… | 这是很好的理念 不过有人快饿死 |
[04:32] | …dying of disease, and they can’t cook the Bill of Rights. | 有人快病死 不能靠人权法案吃饭的 |
[04:36] | We’re for freedom everywhere but poor countries. They can have our help. | 所以我们到处保障自由 除了穷苦国家例外,如要我们帮忙 |
[04:39] | But only if they live up to Clancy Bangert’s moral standards? | 他们必须要先忍受 克兰西巴格特的道德标准? |
[04:44] | What the hell kind of free world are you running? | 你到底在宣导哪种自由世界? |
[04:46] | I really don’t know, Abbey. The day hasn’t started yet. | 我真的不知道,艾比 今天还没开始呢 主演:施塔科钱宁 主演:杜希尔 主演:艾莉森詹尼 主演:约书亚马尼纳 主演:珍妮尔摩隆奈 主演:里察薛福 主演:约翰史宾塞 主演:布雷迪威佛德 主演:马丁辛 |
[05:37] | This is from David Elson of the USGS… | 这位是美国地质调查局的 大卫艾尔森 |
[05:40] | …the U.S. Geological Survey, and Coast Guard Commander Dennis Travis. | 以及海巡署署长 丹尼斯席维斯 |
[05:44] | Last night at 3:45 a. M… | 今天凌晨三点四十五分 |
[05:46] | …Battletree Lake burst through its natural dam… | 贝特树湖的天然水霸突然爆发 |
[05:49] | …in what is known as a glacial-lake outburst. | 即所谓的冰湖爆发现象 |
[05:52] | Okay, it’s a rushing river of ice, water and rock. | 湖水变成由冰、水 和岩石组成的湍急河流 |
[05:55] | It’s about 300 feet wide. | 大约三百尺宽 |
[05:58] | It’s sweeping through Kachadee, a town on the side of the lake. | 横扫湖边的小镇,凯奇地 |
[06:01] | A 300-foot-wide river of ice and rock is sweeping through a small town? | 一条三百尺宽的冰石河流 横扫一个小镇? |
[06:05] | – Yeah. – And you think that’s funny? | -是的 -你认为很有趣? |
[06:07] | – No. – I thought you were trying to be funny. | -不是 -我以为你想搞黑色幽默 |
[06:09] | No, I’m trying to brief you on an emergency in Alaska. | 不,我是向你传达一件 阿拉斯加的紧急事件 |
[06:12] | Sorry, man. We’re on the same page now. | 抱歉,现在我们步调一致了 |
[06:15] | We have an agreement with Canada and Russia for assistance in airborne rescue. | 我们与加拿大及俄罗斯 签过空中救援互助协定 |
[06:19] | So the president’s gonna need to get on the phone or be briefed. | 总统需要接电话或听简报 |
[06:22] | Yeah, me too. I’ll see to it. | 是的,我也是,我会注意 |
[06:24] | Why did it happen? Why did the natural dam break? | 制片:尼尔海恩二世 是怎么发生的? 为什么天然水坝会爆掉? |
[06:27] | The natural dam was part of a glacier, and the glacier melted. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 水坝原是冰河的一部分 但冰河融化 |
[06:31] | – The glacier melted? – It did. | -冰河融化了? -是的 |
[06:33] | Glaciers melt once every 100 million years. This one melted today? | 冰河每一亿年融化一次 这一次就在今天吗? |
[06:36] | I don’t know about geology. | 我不懂地质学 |
[06:38] | I think it’s been melting for a long time. | 我认为很久前便开始融化 |
[06:40] | But, yeah, 3:45 a.m. was the straw that broke the camel’s back. | 但是凌晨三点四十五 是最后撑不住的关键点 |
[06:43] | – All right. – Thank you. | -好的 -谢谢你 |
[06:45] | You don’t wanna stand here and reflect that a glacier melted this morning? | 制片:李维林威尔斯 你不想站在这里 回味一下冰河的融化吗? |
[06:49] | Well, I would, Leo… | 我想,里奥 |
[06:51] | …but a glacier melted this morning. | 但今天早上一条冰河融化了 |
[06:53] | So at this point, Americans are simply trying to outrun it. Thank you. | 基于这一点,美国人 逃命的动作得加快,谢谢你 编剧:保罗瑞福 黛柏拉康、艾伦索金 |
[06:59] | Hey, Josh. | 嘿,乔西 |
[07:00] | A glacier in Alaska melted. You’re gonna see this on the news. | 一条阿拉斯加冰河融化了 你很快就会看到这个新闻 故事:保罗瑞福,黛柏拉康 |
[07:03] | I’ll help you prep C.J. | 我来协助你帮替茜洁做准备 |
[07:05] | A natural dam broke. There’s flooding, and there’ll be a lot more. | 导演:亚力克葛拉夫斯 但一座天然水坝爆开 造成水患和许多灾害 |
[07:08] | A glacier melted? | 一条冰河融化了? |
[07:10] | – Don’t fixate on that. – I’m not fixating. | -别愣住了 -我没有愣住 |
[07:12] | – But, you know, a glacier melted? – Yeah. | -可是,冰河融化了? -是的 |
[07:15] | Okay. Well, I was just gonna ask if the first lady is a distant relative of a pirate. | 其实我是想问你第一夫人 是否有远房亲戚是做海盗的 |
[07:20] | – Did somebody call? – Boston Globe. | -有人打电话来吗? -《波士顿环球报》 |
[07:22] | C.J. Talk to C.J. He got called by the Globe about Captain Feathersword. | 茜洁,和茜洁谈,环球报在问他 斐得斯沃船长的事 |
[07:26] | – Is this for real? – The Globe? | -这是真的吗? -环球报? |
[07:28] | The Globe got a call from Marion Cotesworth-Haye of Marblehead… | 环球报接到从马伯海德市的 寇丝草打来的电话 |
[07:31] | …who’s denounced Mrs. Bartlet’s membership in the DAR. | 他要废除巴特勒夫人 《美国革命女儿》的会员身分 |
[07:34] | Is it okay if I laugh during this? | 抱歉,但,我可以笑吗? |
[07:36] | Well, Marion Cotesworth-Haye of Marblehead, certainly. | 当然是马伯海德的马琳寇丝草 |
[07:39] | Yeah. Anyway, to be a member of the DAR… | 总之,要成为《美国革命女儿》会员 |
[07:41] | …you have to have descended… – From doilies? | -你必须系出 -戴假发的吗? |
[07:43] | From patriots. And Mrs. Cotesworth-Haye says… | 是爱国者,寇丝草太太说 |
[07:46] | …the first lady’s qualifying ancestor… | 第一夫人的祖先 |
[07:49] | …was Thomas Broome Weathergill, a pirate. | 是汤玛斯伯门韦得吉尔 一个海盗 |
[07:51] | – He wasn’t a pirate, he was a privateer. – He was a professional pirate. | -不是海盗,是民船的船长 -他是专业的海盗 |
[07:54] | But he was hired by the fathers of the Daughters of the American Revolution. | 但他是为我们做事的 他受雇于《美国革命女儿》之父 |
[07:58] | – Should we tell that to the DAR lady? – It’s not our job to tell Mrs. Marblehaye. | -要跟那个《革命女儿》女士说吗? -跟马寇夫人交谈,不是我们的事 |
[08:02] | Cotesworth-Haye. And I can’t agree more… | 是马琳寇丝草 我完全同意 |
[08:05] | …but she’s organizing a boycott of the reception for the DAR. | 但她正在召集联合抵制 《革命女儿》的白宫招待会 |
[08:08] | – That’s why The Globe is calling. – He was a privateer. | -所以环球报才会打来 -他是民间武装船只船长 |
[08:11] | – He wasn’t a pirate. – Right. | -不是海盗 -没错 |
[08:12] | Also, it was a couple hundred years ago. | 而且,这是几百年前的事了 |
[08:14] | It’s time for a visit to the first lady’s office. | 看来是拜访 第一夫人办公室的时候了 |
[08:17] | – For both of us? – Yeah. | -我们两个吗? -是的 |
[08:19] | I was this close to not answering that phone when it rang. | 那通电话响起时 我差点不想接听的 |
[08:22] | – Close wasn’t good enough. – No. | -光是差点还不够 -不是 |
[08:24] | If this day ends with me face-to-face with Marion Cotesworth-Haye, I’ll… | 如果最后我得和马琳寇丝草 面对面,我会 |
[08:28] | – Laugh inappropriately? – There’s a possibility. | -唐突的大笑吗? -这是非常有可能的 |
[08:31] | Let’s go. | 走吧 |
[08:51] | – Ms. Gardner? – Yeah? | -嘉纳小姐? -是的? |
[08:53] | I’m Nat. We met during your orientation. | 我是纳特,我们在你的 新人介绍见过面 |
[08:55] | I’m an intern in the first lady’s office. Or I was… | 我是第一夫人办公室的实习生 或者可说我“以前”是 |
[08:58] | …until Mrs. Bartlet fired my boss and hired you. | 因为巴特勒夫人辞掉我老板后 才雇用你 |
[09:01] | Okay. Well, you can stay. Let’s see how it works out. | 好,你可以留下来 我们再看怎么安排 |
[09:04] | – Nat? – Yeah. | -纳特? -是 |
[09:05] | – Okay. – And Mrs. Bartlet’s waiting to see you. | -好 -巴特勒太太等着见你 |
[09:08] | – Now? – Yeah. | -现在? -对 |
[09:09] | That’s the kind of thing you wanna tell me first. Mrs. Bartlet. | 这类的事你要先告诉我才行 巴特勒太太 |
[09:13] | – Morning. – Sorry, ma’am. Thank you. | -早安 -抱歉,夫人,谢谢你 |
[09:15] | What happened here? | 这里怎么了? |
[09:17] | I don’t know. I’m sure it’s… | 我不知道,我相信是 |
[09:20] | – Good morning. – Relax. | -早安 -放轻松 |
[09:23] | – Okay. – This is easy. | -好的 -很简单 |
[09:25] | – What’s easy? – What I wanna talk to you about. | -什么简单? -我现在要跟你谈的 |
[09:28] | I’m saying, it’s your first day, and I don’t want you to feel overwhelmed by this. | 是说,今天是你的第一天 我不想让你有太大压力 |
[09:32] | The Foreign Ops Bill came out of markup late last night. | 外交援助法案昨晚 被冠上附加条款 |
[09:35] | Senator Bangert, Clancy Bangert, added an amendment. | 克兰西巴格特参议员 加一条修正条款 |
[09:38] | The global gag rule. | 全球言论钳制条款 |
[09:40] | I’d like you to get the staff together. Start coming up with a way… | 我要你召集职员 开始一起想个办法 |
[09:43] | …this office can influence the president to let Congress know… | 让这个办公室有办法影响总统 让他告知国会 |
[09:47] | …he’d veto it with that amendment attached. | 他要否决法案的附加修正条款 |
[09:49] | – The president would want to hear… – He’d wanna hear from senior staff. | -总统会希望听到 -他会想要从资深幕僚那里听到 |
[09:53] | You want me to get the president to declare he’d veto his own bill? | 你希望我让总统宣布 他要否决他自己的法案吗? |
[09:56] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[09:58] | No, it’s not that easy. | 不,不是很容易 |
[10:00] | But we’re gonna do it anyway. | 但我们要做做看 |
[10:03] | – Yes, ma’am. – Start lobbying. | -是的,夫人 -开始游说了 |
[10:05] | – Yes. – Thank you. | -是的 -谢谢你 |
[10:08] | Thank you, ma’am. | 谢谢你,夫人 |
[10:09] | – Good morning. | – Good morning. -早安 -早安 |
[10:11] | – A glacier has melted in Alaska. – You freaked about that too? | -阿拉斯加一条冰河融化 -你也感到震惊吗? |
[10:14] | – No. – I didn’t mean that I was. | -不 -我不是说我感到震惊 |
[10:16] | – Okay. – Amy, we have a problem for your office. | -好的 -艾咪,我们有问题想请教 |
[10:19] | You can’t. Mrs. Bartlet already has me overthrowing the government. | 不行,巴特勒夫人 已经吩咐我着手颠覆政府了 |
[10:23] | Her membership in the DAR is being questioned… | 她在《美国革命女儿》的 会员资格被质疑 |
[10:25] | …because the qualifying relative was a pirate. | 因为她的一位亲戚是个海盗 |
[10:28] | – A pirate? – A pirate, a pirate. Oh, yes, a pirate. | -海盗? -海盗,海盗,是的,海盗 |
[10:31] | A privateer, actually. | 事实上是武装民船船长 |
[10:33] | – Isn’t that just a hired pirate? – Yeah. | -那不就是受雇的海盗吗? -是的 |
[10:35] | Anyway, Helena Hodworth Hooter-Tooter of Braintree… | 布莱恩堤的海莲娜哈沃斯胡特 |
[10:38] | …wants to organize a boycott of the reception and… | 想要召集抵制招待会而且 |
[10:41] | Well, there it is. Yes, Mrs. Bartlet descends… | 还有,对,巴特勒夫人 |
[10:43] | …from a murderous band of ruffians. | 是一个杀人不眨眼的 海盗集团后裔 |
[10:45] | And her membership is suspect on those grounds. | 《波士顿环球报》相信 |
[10:47] | Or so believes The Boston Globe. | 她的会员资格因此受到质疑 |
[10:50] | Your picture frames fell. | 你的相框掉了 |
[10:52] | Yeah. They did, Willy. | 是的,小威 |
[10:58] | Toby. | 托比 |
[10:59] | – Burt. – Stopped in to say hello. | -伯特 -我只是路过,来打个招呼 |
[11:01] | – You were in the building? – They had us meeting about testimony. | -你在这里面? -他们约我们谈证词的事 |
[11:04] | I’m testifying to House Resources on Polluter Pays. | 我要对白宫智库宣誓 污染者付费的问题 |
[11:07] | This is Don Novak, the lawyer from Kierney-Passaic. | 这位是唐诺凡克 《琪尔尼派斯克》的律师 |
[11:10] | This is one of my first roommates, Toby. | 这位是我以前的室友 托比齐格 |
[11:12] | – Don Novak. – Good to meet you. | -唐诺凡克 -幸会 |
[11:14] | You’re working for Kierney-Passaic? | 你为《琪尔尼派斯克》工作? |
[11:17] | Yeah. We don’t make chemicals, Toby. We make ideas. | 是的,我们不制造化学物 托比,我们制造理想 |
[11:20] | – But what do you sell? – Chemicals. | -但你们卖什么? -化学物 |
[11:21] | – And you’re testifying on Polluter Pays? – Yeah. | -你要为污染者付费作证? -是的 |
[11:24] | – On behalf of nature? – Yeah. | -代表自然界吗? -是 |
[11:26] | You know what? You demonize companies that create jobs. | 你知道吗?你丑化 一个创造工作机会的公司 |
[11:29] | “You demonize companies that create…” | “你丑化一个创造?” |
[11:31] | You think taxpayers should pay to clean up pollution… | 你认为纳税义务人应支付 污染清除费 |
[11:34] | A little bit, yes. A modest amount of pollution is an inevitable cost. | 一点点,适度的污染 是不可避免的成本 |
[11:38] | Chemical companies are good corporate citizens. | 化学公司是优良的企业公民 |
[11:40] | Nice. But we’ve got 15 scientists who aren’t on industry payroll. You’ll have… | 不错,我们明天会请十五位 不为企业界工作的科学家,你们 |
[11:45] | The Republican majority, actually. | 事实上,共和党才是多数党 |
[11:47] | Yeah, well, that’s gotta help. | 是,这是有帮助的 |
[11:49] | – It does. – I just wanted to say hi. | -会的 -我只想打声招呼 |
[11:51] | – Good luck tomorrow. – Nice meeting you. | -祝你明天幸运 -很高兴认识你 |
[11:53] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[11:58] | – I forgot to ask him about his kids. – Huh? | -我忘了问他小孩子的事 -什么? |
[12:01] | His wife is pregnant with twins. No, his ex-wife, actually. | 他太太怀了双胞胎 不,事实上是前妻 |
[12:04] | I don’t want him to think I was being rude. Hang on a second. | 我不想让他认为我失礼 等一下 |
[12:09] | – Excuse me. – Yeah. | -抱歉 -是的 |
[12:12] | I’m supposed to be looking at pictures of Andy. | 我是来看安娣的照片 |
[12:14] | Could you take out your wallet… | 请拿出你的皮夹 |
[12:16] | …and look for a picture? – What? | -找张照片好吗? -什么? |
[12:18] | Please, take out your wallet and look for a picture you can show me. | 请把皮夹拿出来 拿张照片给我看 |
[12:21] | Kierney-Passaic’s been lying for three years. | 《琪尔尼派斯克》已经 撒谎撒了三年 |
[12:24] | I need protection under federal whistle-blower laws. | 我需要联邦 “告发人保护法”的保护 |
[12:38] | That’s nice. Oh, she looks great there. | 不错,她看起来很漂亮 |
[12:40] | – Is that from Christmas? – Yeah. | -这是圣诞节拍的吗? -是的 |
[12:42] | – When are the twins due? – Are you defecting? | -双胞胎何时生? -你要背叛他们吗? |
[12:44] | – Yeah. – They’re due in May. | -是的 -他们五月出生 |
[12:46] | It’s a boy and a girl. | 龙凤胎 |
[12:48] | We can’t decide on names. | 我们还没决定名字 |
[12:51] | She likes Rebecca… | 她想替女孩取蕾蓓佳 |
[12:53] | …or Sophie for girls. | 或苏菲 |
[12:56] | I like Sophie too. | 我也喜欢苏菲 |
[12:58] | But I think a lot of kids are named Sophie now. | 但我想现在太多小孩叫苏菲 |
[13:01] | And I like Rebecca, but I also like Millicent… | 我喜欢蕾蓓佳,但我也 喜欢米妮森 |
[13:05] | …which she doesn’t like at all. | 她一点也不喜欢 |
[13:08] | And we’re nowhere with boys’ names. | 所以我们还没想到男孩的名字 |
[13:10] | But they say it comes to you. We still got a little time. | 但大家都说以后就会想到的 我们还有一点时间 (立刻叫乔西过来) |
[13:20] | – What’s going on? – Hang on. | -什么事? -等一等 |
[13:22] | – What’s going on? – Cool out. | -什么事? -冷静 |
[13:24] | – I got a call that… – Cool out. | -我接到一通电话 -冷静 |
[13:26] | – Who are those two guys talking in the…? – Would you cool out? | -跟你谈话的那两个家伙是谁? -你能冷静一点吗? |
[13:32] | – Okay. – It’s okay. | -好的 -没关系 |
[13:35] | – I told him. This is…? – This is Josh Lyman, it’s okay. | -我告诉他,这位是? -这位是乔西赖曼,没关系 |
[13:38] | I told him we were gonna get some coffee, catch up. | 我跟他说,我们要喝咖啡叙叙旧 |
[13:41] | This is Burt Ganz. Burt’s the… What’s your title again? | 这位是伯特盖兹,伯特是 你的职位是什么? |
[13:44] | Director of scientific research. | 《琪尔尼派斯克》的 科学研究部主任 |
[13:46] | He’s testifying tomorrow on Polluter Pays. | 他明天要为污染者付费作证 |
[13:49] | – I’ve read your testimony. – Yeah, but… | -我看过你的证词 -是的,但是 |
[13:52] | – His testimony’s been written already. – It was. | -他的证词是早已写好的 -的确是 |
[13:55] | – And it says? – Polluter Pays is unfair, unreasonable… | -写什么? -污染者付费是不公平的 |
[13:58] | …that our technology and process is as safe as is practicably possible… | 我们的科技和作业流程 是实际可行的安全 |
[14:02] | …even assurance bonds are ridiculous… | 连保险契约都是不必要的 |
[14:04] | …because there’s no evidence we’re causing environmental damage. | 因为没有证据显示 我们造成环境破坏 |
[14:09] | – We saved the committee a lot of time. – He wants to change his testimony. | -这样算帮委员会节省时间吗? -他想改变他的证词 |
[14:13] | To what? | 改成什么? |
[14:15] | We have been concealing from the EPA and local health officials the amount… | 我们一直瞒着环保局 和当地卫生机关 |
[14:19] | …of highly carcinogenic toxins at three of our waste-disposal sites. | 我们三个废弃物处理场地 含高量致癌毒素 |
[14:25] | – You have? – Yes. | -是吗? -是的 |
[14:28] | – What is the amount? – Lots. | -有多少含量? -很多 |
[14:31] | – Lots? – Yes. | -很多? -是的 |
[14:33] | So Kierney-Passaic hasn’t been damaging the environment quite so much… | 所以《琪尔尼派斯克》 并没有造成多大的环境破坏 |
[14:36] | …as they’ve been… – Causing cancer. I have documentation. | -因为他们 -会致癌,我有文件 |
[14:41] | Stay here and don’t say anything to anyone until I call. | 待在这里,不要跟任何人说话 等我电话 |
[14:43] | – Who knows he’s here? – A lawyer from K.P. | -还有谁知道他在这里? -《琪尔尼派斯克》的律师 |
[14:47] | Wait till I call. | 等我的电话 |
[14:49] | Josh, Amy Gardner was looking for you. | 乔西,艾咪嘉纳在找你 |
[14:52] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[14:53] | – It’s your first day. – Yes. | -今天是你的第一天 -是的 |
[14:55] | Is it true that everything fell off your wall? | 你墙上的东西 真的全都掉下来? |
[14:58] | – How do you know that? – I’m everywhere. | -你怎么知道的? -我无所不在 |
[15:01] | I’ve been orientating myself for the last few days, so I’m fine. | 我这些天都在职前训,我很好 |
[15:04] | Okay, I don’t think”orientating” is a word. | 我不认为“职前训”是个名词 |
[15:06] | – You have an assignment? – Yes. Can we talk in your office? | -你有任务吗? -有,能在你办公室谈吗? |
[15:09] | Donna, I need to speak to someone from the counsel’s office. | 唐娜 我要和顾问办公室的人说话 |
[15:13] | Yeah. | 好的 |
[15:14] | – Clancy Bangert attached… – A global gag rule to Foreign Ops. | -克兰西巴格特附带 -钳制言论条款在外交法案上 |
[15:19] | And the first lady’s vershtickt. | 第一夫人非常义愤填膺 |
[15:20] | – She’s what? – Vershtickt. | -她怎么样? -义愤填膺 |
[15:22] | – She’s not the only one. – You too? | -不只有她而已 -你也是吗? |
[15:24] | The 62 percent of us who support a woman’s right… | 百分之六十二支持女权的人 |
[15:26] | – Fifty-seven percent. – Kaiser says 62. | -百分之五十七 -凯瑟说六十二 |
[15:29] | – And I’m one of them. – This is a huge step for the other 38. | -我也是其中之一 -这是另外那38%的一大步 |
[15:32] | – You think I like it more than you do? – You don’t have a reproductive system. | -你以为我会喜欢那种条款吗? -你又没有生育系统 |
[15:36] | – I do not. – The president should veto Foreign Ops… | -我没有 -总统应否决附带言论钳制条款的 |
[15:40] | …with the gag. – He should veto his own bill? | -外交行动法案 -他应否决他自己的法案吗? |
[15:42] | – Threaten to veto. – Let me jot that down. | -威胁要否决 -我来做笔记 |
[15:44] | – If he does, he has to veto. – Maybe with the threat… | -他若威胁,就得否决 -也许有威胁之后 |
[15:47] | …senators will insist the attachment be taken off. | 温和派的议员会拿掉附带条款 |
[15:49] | But if Amy’s plan of magic and wonder doesn’t work… | 若艾咪的神奇计划不成功 |
[15:52] | …he’s gotta veto Foreign Ops after not one… | 他就得否决外交行动法案 |
[15:55] | …two, but three continuing resolutions. We need a win. | 不只一个,而是三个临时拨款决议 我们一定要赢 |
[15:58] | And 230 million people overseas need a sandwich. | 而且海外有两亿三千万人 等着吃三明治 |
[16:01] | So we can’t veto Foreign Ops. Donna? | 我们不能否决外交法案 唐娜? |
[16:03] | – What can we do? – What? | -我们能做什么? -什么? |
[16:05] | – What can we do? – They’ve tried attaching it to everything. | -我们可以做什么? -他们把这条款附在每个东西上 |
[16:08] | We’ve beaten it back every time with executive orders… | 每次我们都用行政命令驳回 |
[16:11] | …but this one’s gonna be law, and we have to eat it. | 但这个法案将立法 我们必需接受 |
[16:15] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[16:17] | – Why’d your stuff fall off the wall? – I don’t know. Thanks. | -你的东西为何会掉? -我不知道,谢谢 |
[16:24] | Donna. Did you get me in with the counsel’s office? | 唐娜,你有帮我 找顾问办公室吗? |
[16:26] | They’re in a meeting till after lunch. | 他们在开会,开到午餐后 |
[16:28] | – All right, after lunch then? – Yeah. | -好的,午餐后? -是的 |
[16:30] | You know how you wanted to go to the DAR reception tonight? | 你知道今晚得参加 《美国革命女儿》招待会对吗? |
[16:33] | I didn’t want to go to the reception. | 我不想去招待会 |
[16:35] | Well, you’re going. Secret Service needs us to babysit someone. | 你要去,安全人员要我们 当某人的褓姆 |
[16:39] | One of the Daughters of the American Revolution is the daughter… | 《美国革命女儿》成员之一 |
[16:42] | …of the ranking member of House Armed Services. | 是位高阶军委的女儿 |
[16:44] | – So she needs to be shadowed? – Not her, her date. | -她需要被掩护吗? -不是她,是她的男朋友 |
[16:46] | Matthew Lambert, 26, was arrested when he was 21 and a senior at Emerson. | 马修蓝伯特,26岁 21岁在艾默森念大四时被捕 |
[16:52] | He was arrested for selling drugs and found guilty of a felony. | 他贩卖毒品并犯下重罪 |
[16:55] | Secret Service won’t let him in unless someone is watching him. | 安全人员不让他进去 除非有政府人员盯着他 |
[16:58] | – I stay with him the whole night? – He won’t know why, so be cool. | -我得整晚和他在一起? -他不知道的,放轻松 |
[17:02] | – He won’t know? – Or his girlfriend. | -他不知道吗? -他的女朋友也不知道 |
[17:04] | After lunch with the counsel’s office? | 午餐后去顾问办公室? |
[17:06] | – Can I talk to him? – If you want. | -我可以跟他说话吗? -如果你想的话 |
[17:09] | But don’t tell him we regard him as a security risk. | 但不要告诉他 我们视他为危险人物 |
[17:12] | – It’s just inhospitable. – Yeah. | -不然就失礼了 -是的 |
[17:15] | So far, we’ve evacuated 250 people… | 目前为止,我们已撤离 两百五十位民众 |
[17:17] | …but residents along the shore are difficult to reach. | 但湖边的居民很难联络到 |
[17:20] | – Why? – For one thing, most of them… | -为什么? -因为大部分的人 |
[17:22] | …don’t have addresses anymore. | 都没有住址了 |
[17:23] | And there are high winds in the more exposed areas right on the shore. | 强风出现在较空旷的地区 正是岸边 |
[17:27] | All right. And Canada? | 好的,那加拿大呢? |
[17:29] | Canada’s delivering the Pavehawks inside the hour. | 加拿大已在此时派出翔鹰直升机 |
[17:33] | Can someone tell me why this happened? Is this an act of God? | 有人能告诉我为何发生此事? 这是上帝的杰作吗? |
[17:37] | No. | 不是 |
[17:38] | – I’m sorry? – This is Hillary Toobin. | -抱歉 -这位是希拉�渫勘� |
[17:41] | She’s a hydro-climatologist with the USGS. | 她是地质调查局的水力气象学家 |
[17:43] | What’s a hydro-climatologist? | 什么是水力气象学家? |
[17:45] | An expert in what I’m about to say. | 就是我要说明之事 |
[17:48] | Mean temperatures in Alaska have risen seven degrees in the last 30 years. | 过去三十年来阿拉斯加的 平均温度上升七度 |
[17:53] | That’s insane. | 这很夸张 |
[17:54] | The temperature hike caused glaciers to shrink and go backward… | 温度上升造成冰河缩小 并向后移 |
[17:58] | …leaving lakes of melted glacier water in their wake. | 冰河融化后的水流入湖中 |
[18:01] | A shift in these collapsing glaciers puts pressure on the lakes… | 这些碎裂冰河的挤压水 对湖泊造成压力 |
[18:04] | …forcing them to overflow their natural limits… | 使湖泊无法承受而溢出 |
[18:07] | …and killing, this morning, 14 people. Not spotted owls. | 造成今天早上十四个人死亡 |
[18:12] | Are you telling me that the deaths are the first fatalities of global warming? | 你是说这是全球温室效应 所造成第一件致命事故吗? |
[18:16] | They are definitely global warming fatalities, but I doubt they’re the first. | 这是全球温室效应造成的没错 但我不认为是第一次 |
[18:21] | Okay. | 好的 |
[18:23] | – Can you stay around for a while? – Yeah. | -你们能多待一会儿吗? -可以 |
[18:31] | – Mrs. Bartlet. – Hi. The stuff fell off the wall again. | -巴特勒夫人 -嗨,墙上的东西又掉下来了 |
[18:33] | – Did it? – Yeah. | -是吗? -是的 |
[18:35] | The guys might be having fun with you on your first day. | 你上班第一天 有些家伙也许会作弄你 |
[18:38] | – They’re such rascals. – Yes. | -他们是坏蛋 -是的 |
[18:40] | – I’m just coming from seeing Josh. – And? | -我才和乔西见过面 -结果呢? |
[18:43] | Well, his point, and it’s reasonable, I think… | 我认为他的观点是合理的 |
[18:46] | …is that the president can’t threaten to do what he’s not prepared to do. | 总统不能威胁别人做 他未准备好的事 |
[18:50] | I wasn’t talking about an empty threat. | 我不是指虚张声势的威胁 |
[18:52] | He won’t veto his own Foreign Ops proposal. | 他不会否决 他自己的外交提案 |
[18:54] | – It’s not his, it’s the Senate’s. – It’s his. | -不是他的,是参议院的 -是他的 |
[18:56] | With this attached? | 这种附带条款? |
[18:58] | It’s $ 18 billion worth of appropriations… | 一百八十亿的拨款 |
[19:01] | …it’s $950 million for child survival… | 可协助九亿五千万儿童的生存 |
[19:04] | …$ 140 million for infectious diseases. | 一亿四千万传染性疾病的防治 |
[19:07] | The White House will negotiate another aid package in a year. | 白宫这一年内 还得协商另一个援助配套 |
[19:10] | Why not focus on that, when I’ve been here a year… | 何不等我在这职务满一年 再去设法去运作 |
[19:13] | – No! …instead of the five hours I have now. | -不! -而不是刚上任五小时而已 |
[19:15] | Should I get someone else? | 我该找其他人吗? |
[19:17] | Of course not, ma’am. That’s not what I was saying. | 当然不,夫人 我不是这个意思 |
[19:20] | What right do we have to restrict anything anyone says anywhere… | 我们有何权利限制 何人在何处说什么话 |
[19:24] | …much less what a doctor can say to a woman… | 更何况是限制医生对 |
[19:27] | …who needs a doctor. – That’s right. | -前来求医女子的诊断内容 -没错 |
[19:30] | My husband is the most liberal president… | 我先生是这些年来所见 |
[19:33] | …this country is likely to see for a while. | 最自由、民主的总统了 |
[19:35] | I don’t have that many”next years” left. | 我没有太多“再一年”的时间 |
[19:38] | – I think you’re wrong there, but… – Let’s get back to it. | -我认为你错了,但 -我们再继续努力吧 |
[19:41] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的,夫人 |
[20:01] | – Hey, what’s going on? – You mean in Alaska? | -有啥事发生吗? -你是指阿拉斯加吗? |
[20:04] | – I meant in general. – Hang on. | -我是指所有的事 -等一等 |
[20:08] | I got a”Dear John” letter from Zoey. | 我收到柔依寄来的“分手信” |
[20:11] | She’s breaking up with me again. | 她又和我分手了 |
[20:13] | An e-mail. It’s a”Dear John” e-mail from my ex-girlfriend. | 是封电子邮件,这是我 前女友寄来的“分手电子邮件” |
[20:17] | – This is a high self-image day. – Why’s she breaking up with you? | -今天铁定是个高度自我沉思之日 -她为什么又和你分手? |
[20:20] | I make Jean Paul uncomfortable. They’ve had a talk. | 我的存在让尚保罗很为难 他们谈过了 |
[20:23] | So it’s your ex on behalf of her new boyfriend… | 所以是你的前女友 以她新欢的名义 |
[20:25] | …who sent you a”Dear John” e-mail. – That’s better. | -寄这封“分手电子邮件”给你 -这样说好多了 |
[20:28] | – What brought this on? – Zoey’s being inducted into the DAR… | -什么事造成的? -柔依被引进《美国革命女儿》 |
[20:31] | …and Jean Paul thinks it’s unnatural. | 尚保罗认为不妥当 |
[20:33] | – And he’s a son of a count. – Who isn’t? | -因为他是贵族的儿子 -哦,谁不是呢? |
[20:36] | – An e-mail. – You gonna take this lying down? | -一封电子邮件 -你就这样被击垮吗? |
[20:38] | – No, I’ll be standing up. – I’m serious. | -不,大多时间我都得站着 -我是认真的 |
[20:40] | – How else can I take it? – Belligerently. | -我还能怎样呢? -交战 |
[20:42] | – Belligerently? – Say”no.” Do it respectfully. | -交战? -用恭敬的方式说“不” |
[20:45] | – Say”no”? – Respectfully. | -说“不”? -恭敬的方式 |
[20:46] | What would that sound like? | 要怎么说? |
[20:48] | Zoey, you say Jean Paul is uncomfortable with us… | 柔依,你说尚保罗对 我们的关系感到不自在 |
[20:50] | …and prefers I not be around, and I respectfully say”no.” | 而且他比较喜欢我不在你身旁 我在此很恭敬地说“不” |
[20:53] | – Can I ask something? – Sure. | -我能问你一件事吗? -当然 |
[20:55] | – Do you have a girlfriend? – No. | -你有女朋友吗? -没有 |
[20:56] | – When was the last time you had one? – Nine months ago. | -上一个是何时结束的? -九个月前 |
[20:59] | – How long did it last? – Couple days. | -交往了多久? -几天 |
[21:01] | – Okay. – In my defense, she was psycho. | -好 -我觉得她脑筋不正常 |
[21:03] | Why are you giving relationship help? | 你为什么提供我两性关系辅导? |
[21:05] | I’m the one who didn’t get a”Dear John” e-mail… | 因为收到前女友的男朋友寄来的 “分手信”的人 -不是本人 -这倒是真的,是吗? |
[21:07] | …from his ex-girlfriend’s boyfriend. – That’s true, isn’t it? | |
[21:11] | – Will! – Excuse me. | -威尔! -失陪了 |
[21:12] | She’s coming right now. | 她来了 |
[21:15] | – I got a message to meet you guys. – Yes. We’ve solved your problem. | -我收到讯息,要我来此见你们 -是的,我们解决了你的问题 |
[21:18] | – Which problem? – Marion Cotesworth-Haye of Marblehead. | -哪个问题? -马伯海德的马琳寇丝草 |
[21:21] | – Who’s organizing a reception boycott? – Yes. | -她发起抵制招待会吗? -是 |
[21:24] | – How big a problem is it? – Not a problem… | -这问题多大? -一点也没问题 |
[21:26] | …because we have her here. | 因为我们把她请来这里 |
[21:28] | – Here? – Here in the Mural Room. | -在白宫? -就在壁画室里 |
[21:30] | – I thought she lives in Marblehead. – She came to Washington. | -我以为她住在马伯海德 -结果她到华盛顿来了 |
[21:33] | – To boycott? – What do you care? | -来抵制吗? -你担心什么? |
[21:34] | Go in and talk. If it isn’t working, tell her the first lady wants to give her an award. | 进去谈谈就是,若没用 就说,第一夫人今晚想颁奖给她 |
[21:39] | – I make up an award? – Save yourself a headache. | -我要掰一个奖项? -让你减少头痛时间 |
[21:42] | Am I being hazed? | 我被作弄了吗? |
[21:44] | Is this a hazing? Because I’ll go along, but I have to see Josh… | 这是作弄新人把戏吗?我愿意配合 但我必需去见乔西 |
[21:47] | It’s not a hazing. They don’t do that. | 这绝不是作弄把戏 我们不会作弄新人的 |
[21:49] | Except, yes, you put olives in my jacket again. | 不过,你又把橄榄 放在我的口袋里 |
[21:52] | I did. I did put the olives in his jacket, but this is on the level. | 是我,我把橄榄放在他的口袋 但我是一视同仁的 |
[21:57] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[21:59] | – Hang on. – What? | -等一等 -怎么? |
[22:02] | I gotta make sure I don’t laugh. | 我得确定我不会笑场 |
[22:03] | It’s a funny name to me, that’s all. Just give me a second. | 她的名字对我来说太好玩了 等我一下 |
[22:06] | Hang on. | 等一等 |
[22:08] | Okay. | 好了 |
[22:12] | – Mr. Thomas? – Yes. | -汤玛斯先生? -是的 |
[22:14] | I’m C.J. Cregg. My assistant spoke to you. | 我是茜洁葛瑞 我的助理和你通过电话 |
[22:16] | – Yes. – Mrs. Cotesworth-Haye, I’m C.J. Cregg. | -是的 -寇丝草夫人,我是茜洁 |
[22:19] | I’m the White House press secretary. | 我是白官新闻处发言人 |
[22:21] | Will Bailey, our deputy communications director. | 这位是威尔贝利 是我们的沟通处副总监 |
[22:23] | Amelia Gardner, who’s the first lady’s chief of staff. This is her first day. | 艾米嘉纳,第一夫人的幕僚 今天是她上班的第一天 |
[22:28] | We’re happy you were able to take the time to come so we could talk. | 很高兴你们能抽空来 我们可以谈一谈 |
[22:31] | I’m Marion Cotesworth-Haye! | 我是马琳寇丝草! |
[22:37] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[22:39] | I was thinking of this thing from… | 我想到,我想到一件事 |
[22:42] | This thing that just happened with the deficit. | 是刚才的赤字 |
[22:48] | – I’m sorry. – Oh, God. | -我很抱歉 -天啊 |
[22:50] | Excuse me, please. | 对不起 |
[22:55] | – Is this a hazing? – I swear it’s not a hazing. | -你在作弄我对吧? -我发誓不是的 |
[22:58] | It’s real. It’s real. | 是真的,是真的 |
[23:00] | I laughed because of the name. You gotta fix it. | 因为她的名字,我忍不住 你得去处理 |
[23:06] | – Ma’am. – This is my secretary, Mr. Thomas. | -夫人 -这是我是秘书,汤玛斯 |
[23:10] | Good to meet you. Ma’am… | 幸会,夫人 |
[23:12] | …the first lady was saddened to see… | 第一夫人很惋惜 |
[23:14] | …that you weren’t going to be attending the reception tonight. | 你不能参加今晚的招待会 |
[23:18] | She was saddened? That doesn’t sound like Abigail. | 她难过吗? 听起来不像艾比的个性 |
[23:21] | Well, the problem is, and you weren’t to be told beforehand… | 问题在于,之前没能先告知你 |
[23:25] | …but Mrs. Bartlet, during the presentation of honors this evening… | 巴特勒夫人 本来要在晚上致辞时 |
[23:29] | …was to personally present you with an award. | 亲自颁发荣誉奖章给你 |
[23:31] | I hadn’t heard about this. | 我没听过这件事 |
[23:34] | She likes to keep it a surprise. | 她想保密 |
[23:36] | For the faces, the surprise. | 为了制造惊喜效果 |
[23:38] | May I ask what the award is for? | 我能问这奖章是为了什么? |
[23:42] | It’s for your many years of service. | 为了你多年的服务贡献 |
[23:44] | – Is this the Liberty Award? – No. | -是自由奖章吗? -不是 |
[23:49] | It’s a key. | 是把钥匙 |
[23:52] | Francis Scott Key. It’s the Francis Scott Key Key. | 法兰西斯史考特钥匙 法兰西斯史考特钥匙之钥 |
[23:55] | Well, that is a different fox hunt all together, isn’t it? | 可真是奇怪的做法,不是吗? |
[23:59] | Yes. You’ll be there? | 是的,你会参加吗? |
[24:01] | – I will strongly consider it, yes. – Thank you. | -我会慎重考虑,好的 -谢谢你 |
[24:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[24:07] | – Thank you. | – Thank you. -谢谢你 -谢谢你 |
[24:16] | – I didn’t have my game face on. – Yeah. | -我装得不够正经 -是的 |
[24:18] | – Anyway, problem solved. – Excuse me. | -无论如何,问题解决了 -抱歉 |
[24:20] | Josh! Excuse me. | 乔西!等一下 |
[24:22] | – Is it true your door fell down? – Yeah. | -你的门倒了,是真的吗? -是的 |
[24:24] | I understand that. How did you get the stuff to fall off the wall? | 我不懂,你怎么有办法 让墙上的东西都掉下来? |
[24:28] | Army counterintelligence guys. Good bunch, I don’t ask questions. | 反间情报组有些家伙很行 不过,我不问问题 |
[24:31] | – I was wondering if… – Hang on. | -我在想如果 -等一等 |
[24:33] | – Why? – It’s a public lobby. | -为什么? -这里是公共空间 |
[24:35] | I don’t know launch sequences. | 我还不太清楚推出次序 |
[24:38] | She really doesn’t, so everything’s fine. | 她真的不知道 所以一切都没问题 |
[24:41] | Would you have the senior staff write a Statement of Administrative Policy? | 你能叫资深员工 写份公共政策报告书吗? |
[24:46] | We write SAPs all the time. Saying what? | 我们常写公共政策报告书 写什么? |
[24:48] | Saying that the president should veto a Foreign Ops Bill if it comes to him… | 说总统应该否决外交行动法案 只要 |
[24:51] | – No. – If it comes with a gag rule. | -不 -只要附带钳制言论条款 |
[24:53] | – He won’t veto Foreign Ops. – Threaten to. | -他不会否决外交行动法案 -威胁要否决 |
[24:55] | – He’s not gonna threaten… – The staff. | -他不会威胁 -是职员 |
[24:57] | The staff writes a public SAP. Maybe it gets moderate Republican… | 职员写公共政策报告书 也许能得到少数的温和共和党员 |
[25:01] | – I don’t think it will. – It might. | -首先,我不认为会有用 -也许 |
[25:03] | – If it doesn’t? – It doesn’t and he signs it. | -如果没用呢? -他就签下去 |
[25:05] | Then we look like a bunch of empty shirts. | 然后我们看起来就像一堆空壳子 |
[25:07] | – Who? – Senior staff. | -谁? -资深职员 |
[25:09] | – That’s vanity. – No, it is not. | -那只是做做样子 -不,不是 |
[25:11] | I am most effective for this country when lawmakers… | 如果我让立法者产生 我能影响总统决策的印象 |
[25:14] | …are under the impression I have influence. | 那我就成了本国最有效力的人 |
[25:16] | So’s Leo, so’s Toby, so’s C.J., so’s the vice president. | 里奥、托比、茜洁 和副总统都是 |
[25:19] | We’re not giving back Roe. | 我们不会轻言放弃 |
[25:21] | We’re gonna swallow it on Foreign Ops, that’s all. | 我们要通过外交行动法案 就这样 |
[25:23] | It’s a good package, and I’m celebrating tonight. | 事实上这是很好的法案 我今晚要庆祝 |
[25:26] | With the Daughters of the American Revolution? | 和《美国革命女儿》同庆吗? |
[25:28] | The daughters of any revolution will do. I’m not gonna ask for an SAP on a veto… | 任何革命女儿都可以 我不找人写政策报告书来否决 |
[25:31] | …but it’s important enough that I don’t mind… | 不过,我不介意 |
[25:34] | …if you go over my head and ask Leo to call for it. | 你越过我直接去找里奥帮你忙 |
[25:38] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[25:41] | It’s okay to tell Mrs. Bartlet you disagree with her, you know. | 跟巴特勒夫人说你不同意她的意见 没关系的 |
[25:45] | What makes you think I disagree with her? | 为什么你认为 我不同意她的意见? |
[25:48] | I know everything. | 我什么都知道 |
[25:50] | I’ll see you tonight. | 晚上见 |
[25:55] | It’s not lying, but the information gets hidden… | 不是在说谎 只是送交环保署的 |
[25:58] | …in soil-sample reports that are submitted to the EPA. | 土壤样本报告里有被掩盖的资料 |
[26:02] | – What’s an acceptable level? – Of carcinogens? | -可接受的程度是多少? -致癌物质? |
[26:04] | – Yeah. – What does it matter? | -是的 -有关系吗? |
[26:05] | – It doesn’t. Just curious. – One part per billion is unacceptable. | -没有,只是好奇 -每十亿分之一就是不能接受的 |
[26:09] | What our engineers do is raise the MDL. | 我们工程师的作法就是 提高范围 |
[26:11] | – Method detection level? – Yeah, to a hundred PPB. | -提高侦测范围? -是的,到100个离子浓度 |
[26:14] | – Interesting. – Mike? | -有趣 -麦克? |
[26:16] | – Yeah? – You wanted to become a scientist. | -是的? -你想成为科学家 |
[26:18] | You didn’t. You became a lawyer, got a job in the counsel’s office. Let’s do that. | 但你没有,你成为一位律师 在顾问办公室工作,我们开始了 |
[26:23] | I did my undergrad in chemical engineering. I was good. | 我大学念化工,我念得很好 |
[26:26] | Then I went to law school, and I don’t know what happened. | 后来我去念法学院 我不知道我是怎么了 |
[26:29] | – Cool. – Can we get on with it? | -真酷 -我们能继续下去吗? |
[26:31] | House Resources is hearing testimony on the Polluter Pays bill. | 国会智库正对污染者付费法案 进行公听会 |
[26:35] | If Justice can grant him immunity under the whistle-blower statute… | 若法官能用告发人保护法 让他享有豁免权 |
[26:39] | …he can testify that Kierney-Passaic has been hiding… | 他就可以作证指出《琪尔尼派斯克》 |
[26:42] | …dangerous levels of cancer-causing whatever in the EPA reports. | 隐瞒送交环保署报告中 所含致癌物的危险程度 |
[26:46] | It will do tremendous good in terms of winning this. | 此举对于赢得这个法案 无异是个强心针 |
[26:48] | – Toby? – Yeah. | -托比? -是? |
[26:50] | Plus we retard Kierney-Passaic’s progress in killing people. | 此外我们要阻止《琪尔尼派斯克》 危害人民的作业程序 |
[26:53] | Right, there are several positive outcomes. | 是的,会带来一些正面的效果 |
[26:56] | Mike, can he get whistle-blower status? | 麦克,他有资格得到 告发人保护法的保障吗? |
[26:58] | – I don’t think it matters. – Why? | -我不认为这有关系 -为什么? |
[27:01] | The anti-retaliation provisions of the False Claim Act. | 就是运用举错法条之下的 反报复条款 |
[27:04] | – Yes. – This entitles an employee to relief… | -是 -赋予员工免于 |
[27:08] | …who’s fired or demoted or suspended or in any manner discriminated against… | 被解雇、降级、停职 或受到任何歧视 |
[27:13] | …because of lawful acts done by the employee on behalf of the employer. | 因为所有合法行为 都是职员代表雇主呈送的 |
[27:17] | – Yes. – These acts weren’t lawful. | -是的 -这些行为是违法的 |
[27:19] | How’s testifying in front of House Resources not lawful? | 在国会智库前作证 怎会是违法的? |
[27:22] | No, that’s lawful, but, Burt… | 不,那是合法没错 但,伯特 |
[27:25] | …how did you become aware that the EPA documents were being falsified? | 你怎会发觉送交环保署的文件 是被动过手脚的? |
[27:29] | I’m the senior engineer. | 我是资深工程师 |
[27:31] | – You initialed them. – Yeah. | -你有签名 -是 |
[27:33] | Well, let me ask you this the way the federal prosecutors will. | 我以联邦检察官的方式 来询问你 |
[27:36] | Did you knowingly sign fraudulent documents submitted to authorities? | 你是在知情的情况下签署 该不实文件并送交当局的吗? |
[27:40] | – Well, it’s not that the documents were… – Oh, my God. | -那文件是跟原来的不同 -我的天啊 |
[27:44] | Yeah, he doesn’t need 3730. | 是,他不需要3730保护法 |
[27:47] | He needs immunity from criminal prosecution. | 他需要的是刑事犯罪的豁免权 |
[27:50] | I’ll tell you what, he better get it. | 我告诉你们,他最好能拿到 |
[27:52] | What do you mean? If he doesn’t, he doesn’t talk. | 你是什么意思? 如果他没拿到,他就不说 |
[27:54] | You would be compelled to name him and recount everything he told you… | 那么在检察官传唤时 你们就得在大陪审团之前 |
[27:58] | …when subpoenaed by the U.S. attorney to appear before a grand jury. | 被迫指认他 并详述他告诉你们的每件事 |
[28:02] | – We have to turn him in now? – No… | -我们现在就要把他交出去吗? -不然 |
[28:04] | …but you’ll go to jail as a coconspirator. | 你们就得因共谋罪进监牢 |
[28:07] | I don’t understand, all I did was get up in the morning. | 我犯了什么错? 我只是一早起床 |
[28:10] | Then I got a message to come see you. | 然后收到讯息来见你 |
[28:12] | – How come he knows about the… – Everyone does. | -他怎么知道这规则 -每个人都知道 |
[28:14] | Was something on your mind when they taught that in law school? | 你在法学院上这堂课的时候 是不是去见周公了? |
[28:18] | – Were you distracted by a bee? – Mike. | -还是大黄蜂在吵你吗? -麦克 |
[28:20] | Burt, why don’t you come sit in my office while we call your lawyer. | 伯特,你何不到我的办公室坐坐 我们打电话给你的律师 |
[28:23] | Yeah. | 好的 |
[28:27] | – You have a lawyer? – Of course. | -你有律师吗? -当然有 |
[28:29] | Why did you come to my office and tell me what…? I don’t care. | 那你为何到我办公室 告诉我什么? |
[28:33] | – Mike, let’s get him immunity. – We’ll wait in my office. | -麦克,帮他取得豁免权就是了 -我们在我的办公室等着 |
[28:38] | I can leave my coat here? | 可以把我的外套留在这里吗? |
[28:41] | Yeah. | 可以 |
[28:50] | You going to the DAR thing tonight? | 今晚你要参加《美国革命女儿》的 招待会吗? |
[28:55] | It’s not that I didn’t know federal law, it’s… | 不是我不懂联邦法律 我们 |
[28:59] | We got in a little deep before I was able to… | 我们是不由自主要深入一点 就是 |
[29:02] | …summon that… – Shut up. | -传唤什么的 -住口 |
[29:04] | Okay. | 好 |
[29:08] | I talked about the threat of a veto. | 我在谈威胁要否决 |
[29:09] | – No, they understood that. – They? | -不,他们了解 -他们? |
[29:11] | – I took it to Leo McGarry. – Don’t let Josh find that out. | -我拿给里奥马加瑞看过 -别让乔西发现 |
[29:14] | No, he suggested it. | 不,是他建议的 |
[29:16] | We’re not talking about the threat of a veto, we’re talking about an SAP. | 我们也不是在谈威胁 我们只是谈公共政策报告书 |
[29:20] | Those policy recommendations are published by the OMB. | 可是这些政策建议 是由预算局所印行的 |
[29:23] | – There would be record of him ignoring… – I don’t care. | -也许会造成总统忽略 -我不在乎 |
[29:27] | – It looks like they don’t have it together. – They’re exporting religious doctrine. | -会造成他们表里不一的印象 -他们在输出宗教教义 |
[29:30] | They don’t have their act together. Are they playing you? | 这才是表里不一的 他们在耍你吗? |
[29:34] | – No, ma’am. – Like diplomas falling off walls? | -不,夫人 -比如说文凭从墙上掉下来? |
[29:36] | No, ma’am. | 不,夫人 |
[29:40] | They didn’t stump me, ma’am. | 他们没有耍我,夫人 |
[29:42] | We simply exhausted our options, which was fairly predictable. | 我们只是用尽所有的选择了 这是可预期的 |
[29:46] | What options did we exhaust? | 我们有过什么选择? |
[29:49] | The HHS secretary, the appropriations manager. | 卫生署秘书长、拨款经理人 |
[29:52] | I spoke to the minority leader’s office, several senators… | 我还和少数党领导人办公室 的几位议员谈过 |
[29:55] | …all of whom you’d consider close allies. The amendment’s gonna hold. | 这些都是有可能跟我们合作的 附加修正案势将被保留 |
[29:59] | Would the staff consider recommending another amendment be attached? | 他们能考虑 追加另一个修正案吗? |
[30:02] | – Saying what? – We put condoms… | -比如什么? -我们在 |
[30:05] | …in every classroom around the globe. | 世界上每间教室放置保险套 |
[30:07] | I don’t think the staff would consider that. | 我不认为他们会考虑 |
[30:10] | – Why? – Because it’d kill the Foreign Ops Bill. | -为什么? -因为会扼杀了外交行动法案 |
[30:12] | You tried to kill welfare reauthorization because of marriage incentives. | 你因为不喜欢婚姻福利法 曾阻扼社会福利的再授权 |
[30:16] | Wasn’t that choking off money to the poor to cater to a women’s issue? | 那不就是为了迎合女性议题 把给穷人的钱堵死? |
[30:20] | I had hope it would change the bill before the vote. | 我会那样做是希望能在投票前 修改法案 |
[30:22] | – In this case, I have no hope of that. – Well… | -但这次的情况,我不抱这种希望 -是 |
[30:26] | …thanks for the pep talk there. | 谢谢你这番充满士气的谈话 |
[30:35] | – Hello. Good evening. – Hey, Jean Paul, how you doing? | -哈��,晚安 -嘿,尚保罗,你好吗? |
[30:39] | I was to meet Zoey by the car. Is it here? | 我和柔依约好在车旁碰面 是在这里吗? |
[30:44] | – What? – Zoey and I are arriving separately… | -什么? -柔依和我分别到达 |
[30:48] | …and she didn’t want to walk in alone, so she told me to meet her by the car. | 她不想自己走进去 所以她叫我在车旁见她 |
[30:52] | Is that here? | 是这里吗? |
[30:54] | Is it here? | 是这里吗? |
[30:57] | – No? – Is this by the car? | -不是吗? -这是车旁吗? |
[31:00] | No, this is… | 不,这是 |
[31:03] | We’re inside. | 我们是在室内 |
[31:05] | This is a building. | 这是一栋建筑物 |
[31:09] | There are many entrances and driveways… | 这里有很多入口和车道 |
[31:12] | …and I think you know I meant that. | 我想你了解我的意思 |
[31:15] | I swear to God, Jean Paul… | 我发誓,尚保罗 |
[31:16] | …I had no ungodly idea what you were talking about. | 我完全不了解你在说什么 |
[31:23] | Zoey becomes the Daughter of the American Revolution tonight… | 柔依今晚成为《美国革命女儿》 |
[31:28] | …like her mother and hers before. | 就像她妈和她的祖先 |
[31:31] | – Yes. – They think it’s possible… | -是的 -他们认为 |
[31:34] | …I have ancestors who fought for the colonies. | 我的祖先也有可能 为了殖民地而战过 |
[31:39] | Well, they think it’s possible… | 是的,他们认为 |
[31:41] | …my great-great-grandfather’s Thomas Jefferson, so… | 我的先祖有可能是 汤玛斯杰佛逊,所以 |
[31:45] | Is that so? | 是这样的吗? |
[31:46] | You’re stoned right now. | 你昏头了 |
[31:49] | And that’s incredibly risky when you’re around Zoey. | 你和柔依在一起将非常危险 |
[31:52] | It’s unbelievably stupid, so could you be careful with that? | 真是天大的愚蠢 你能小心一点吗? |
[32:00] | Could you tell me where Zoey meant to meet her? | 你能告诉我柔依所指的地方 到底在哪里? |
[32:06] | The Ellipse. | 椭圆入口 |
[32:08] | That’s where they’re receiving people. | 就是迎接贵宾的地方 |
[32:18] | – This is ridiculous. – What? | -真是太夸张了 -什么? |
[32:19] | Don’t make it a big deal. He doesn’t have to know he’s being tailed. | 别这么大惊小怪 别让他知道他被跟踪了 |
[32:22] | – This wasn’t on Laverne & Shirley? – It may have been. | -我们是在演电视吗? -有可能是 |
[32:25] | – I loathe you. – Okay. | -我憎恨你 -好啊 |
[32:31] | Excuse me, are you Matthew Lambert? | 抱歉,你是马修蓝伯特吗? |
[32:34] | – Yeah. – Hi, I’m Donna Moss. | -是的 -嗨,我是唐娜摩斯 |
[32:36] | – Hi. This is my girlfriend, Heidi Choat. | – Hi. -我的女朋友,海蒂寇特 -嗨 |
[32:44] | You guys here at the party? | 你们来参加派对的吗? |
[32:47] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[32:49] | They said we could walk around the West Wing. | 他们说我们能在西厢走走 |
[32:52] | So we’re just gonna go walk around. | 所以我们想要在这附近逛逛 |
[33:01] | Great. I’ll go with you. | 好,我跟你们一起走 |
[33:11] | – Hi. – Hello. | -嗨 -哈�� |
[33:13] | I’ve spent a portion of the day with a hydro-climatologist named Hillary Toobin… | 我花了一部分的时间和 水力气象学家希拉�渫勘μ致邸K |
[33:17] | …who says Alaska happened because of greenhouse gas… | 她说阿拉斯加发生的事件 是温室气体所导致的 |
[33:21] | …and several other geologists think so too. | 而其他几位地质学家也认同 |
[33:24] | We can’t politicize it. | 我们不能把这件事泛政治化 |
[33:25] | – We have to politicize it, it’s politics. – It’s disrespectful. | -必须政治化,这是政治 -这是很不敬的 |
[33:29] | It is, and we’ll have to say so. | 对,我们一定要这样说 |
[33:32] | Is she ready to get publicly scolded by the White House? | 她准备被白宫公开谴责吗? |
[33:35] | She is. | 是的 |
[33:37] | She’ll call for a 25-percent decrease in emissions over the next 10 years… | 她会要求,接下来十年内减少 百分之二十五的释出物质 |
[33:41] | …and you’ll reprimand her for politicizing the tragedy. | 但是你会谴责她 把这桩悲剧事故政治化 |
[33:45] | What do you think? | 你有什么看法? |
[33:49] | – I think that’s right, but I should do it. – You don’t wanna do it. | -我想这是正确的,但应该由我做 -你不会想做的 |
[33:52] | I don’t, but I don’t think a researcher at Interior… | 我也不想,但我不认为 一位内政部的研究员 |
[33:55] | …is gonna jump-start this the way you need. | 可以掀起如此骚动 |
[33:58] | – I appreciate it. – Yes, sir. | -我很感谢 -是的,先生 |
[34:13] | Look at that DAR dress you’re wearing. | 看看你穿的《美国革命女儿》礼服 |
[34:16] | Man, that’s fantastic. | 天,真是美极了 |
[34:18] | – You could churn butter in that. – You’re skulking? | -你会把奶油融化掉的 -你在失神难过吗? |
[34:21] | – I was. – Was Jean Paul not able to meet me? | -是的 -尚保罗无法来跟我会面吗? |
[34:24] | He’s meeting you right now. He’s waiting at the Ellipse. | 他此刻正在椭圆入口等你 |
[34:27] | – I don’t ever use the Ellipse. – That’s right. | -我从来就没用过椭圆入口 -没错 |
[34:29] | You know what, I forgot. | 你知道吗,我忘了 |
[34:32] | – Look… – You send me an e-mail? | -听我说 -你有寄电子邮件给我吗? |
[34:33] | – What was I supposed to do? – Not send me an e-mail. | -我能怎么办? -不要寄电子邮件给我 |
[34:36] | He is very jealous of you. | 他很嫉妒你 |
[34:38] | He is. And I’d like to try to make this work. | 对,我想经营这段感情 |
[34:41] | – So if you don’t mind… – Oh, but I do mind. | -如果你不介意的话 -但我介意 |
[34:43] | – Well, I don’t think that matters. – I think it does. | -我不认为这很重要 -我认为很重要 |
[34:46] | Are you gonna do what I asked in the e-mail? | 我在信上要求你的事你会做到吗? |
[34:48] | – No. – You just refuse? | -不 -你就这样拒绝? |
[34:51] | I do. I refuse respectfully. | 是的,我很恭敬地拒绝 |
[34:56] | Well, you can’t refuse and be respectful at the same time. | 你不能又拒绝又恭敬的 |
[35:00] | Watch me. Ask again. | 你看着好了,再问一次 |
[35:04] | Stop pursuing me. | 不要再追我了 |
[35:06] | Respectfully, no. | 恭敬地恕难从命 |
[35:10] | Why? | 为什么? |
[35:15] | Because I’m in love with you. | 因为我爱上你 |
[35:18] | And that’s the way it goes. | 我无法中止 |
[35:24] | I have to go inside to dinner. | 我要进去吃晚餐了 |
[35:29] | How long before he figures out you’re there? | 他要等多久才会知道你出现了? |
[35:31] | Oh, shut up. | 哦,住口 |
[35:42] | – Is there anything you guys need? – No, we’re great. | -你们需要什么吗? -不用,我们很好 |
[35:45] | You’ve been giving us so much attention, there are many people. | 你对我们照顾这么周到 又有这么多人 |
[35:49] | – Don’t you have to greet them? – I’m not working the party. | -你不需要去跟他们打招呼吗? -我不是舞会的工作人员 |
[35:52] | – You said you work here. – At the White House. | -你不是说你在这里工作 -我在白宫工作 |
[35:54] | – I’m a guest at the party. – So you’re just talking to us… | -我是这舞会的来宾 -所以你就和我们聊天 |
[35:57] | For fun. | 好玩而已 |
[35:59] | Okay, well, I’ll go get us drinks. | 我去给我们拿点饮料 |
[36:03] | – Okay, I’ll stay here with Matt. – Honey? | -好的,我和马修在这里等 -亲爱的? |
[36:05] | – You want me to go to the bar with you? – Yeah. | -你要我跟你去吧台吗? -对 |
[36:08] | Cool. Bar trip. | 真酷,吧台之旅 |
[36:18] | – What are you doing here? – They’re still making calls. | -你在这里做什么? -他们还在打电话 |
[36:22] | They told me I could walk around. | 他们说我可以四处走走 |
[36:29] | It didn’t occur to me until I asked why you didn’t tell your lawyer. | 我本来没想到,直到我问你 为何不跟你的律师说就好 |
[36:32] | You knew what you were doing the whole way, right? | 你完全知道你自己在做什么 是吗? |
[36:36] | Get the president’s muscle to lean on Justice for immunity. | 借总统之力请法官给予豁免权 |
[36:39] | I’m scared of criminal prosecution. | 我很怕被刑事起诉 |
[36:43] | I’m just terrified of it. | 我很恐惧 |
[36:47] | But to my credit, I think I’m righting this wrong. | 但我更觉得 我是在设法在补救一个错误 |
[36:52] | After three years. | 过了三年才想到 |
[36:53] | That’s something. | 这是很难决定的事 |
[36:55] | That’s quite an impressive ethical learning curve. | 是条长远的道德修练之路 |
[36:59] | It’s not as clear-cut as you think. | 不是你想像的那么简单 |
[37:02] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[37:09] | The U.S. attorneys are gonna grill you for a while, but you’ll get the immunity. | 检察官会审问你一阵子 但最后你会获得豁免权 |
[37:19] | Ladies and gentlemen, please make your way to the state dining room. | 各位女士、各位先生 请移驾到餐厅 |
[37:22] | Dinner is being served. | 晚宴即将开始 |
[37:26] | Right behind you guys. | 我就在你们后面 |
[37:33] | – Listen… – Ma’am… | -听着 -夫人 |
[37:34] | …I spent a year and a half as issues director for NOW… | 我为《全国妇女组织》担任一年半的 的议题总监 |
[37:37] | …two years as political director of EMILY’s List… | 两年《艾蜜莉名单组织》的政策总监 |
[37:40] | …founder of the Democratic Women’s Forum, A.A. to Hope Schrader… | 我是民主党女性论坛的创办人 霍普史莱德的特助 |
[37:43] | …and director of the Women’s Leadership Coalition. | 和《女性领导人联盟》的总监 |
[37:46] | Excuse me, ma’am, but I beat back five anti-choice judicial nominees… | 抱歉,夫人,但我击败过 五位法官提名人 |
[37:50] | …got the Violence Against Women Act reauthorized… | 赢得停止受虐妇女条款 的再授权 |
[37:54] | …and raised $22 million for House candidates. | 并帮国会候选人筹措到 两千两佰万的经费 |
[37:56] | – Amy… – While this White House… | -艾咪 -然而白宫 |
[37:58] | …your office included, allowed equal pay to be pushed off the agenda… | 含你的办公室在内 竟然允许同工同酬议程被排除 |
[38:02] | …marriage incentives to be put in welfare reform… | 让婚姻福利置入福利改革 |
[38:04] | …buried a surgeon general’s report on birth control… | 忽视外科医生 对人口控制的专业报告 |
[38:07] | …and allowed the global gag rule in the first place. | 而且一开始 就纵容言论钳制条款 |
[38:10] | You hired me to put a professional face on your office. | 你雇用我是要把专业 放在你的办公室里 |
[38:14] | This bill’s gonna be law tonight. If you want to fire me, fire me. | 这个法案今晚就会成为法律 如果你想解雇我,就解雇我 |
[38:17] | I don’t wanna fire you. | 我不想解雇你 |
[38:20] | Oh. Why did you want to talk to me? | 那你为什么来找我谈? |
[38:23] | To tell you you had a good first day. | 告诉你上任第一天表现良好 |
[38:25] | – Oh, okay. Jumped the gun. – Yeah. | -好吧,我话说得太早了 -是啊 |
[38:30] | This is strange for me, Amy. | 对我来说很奇怪,艾咪 |
[38:32] | I used to babysit for you. Give me a little time. | 以前都我在照顾你的 给我一点时间 |
[38:37] | I used to get you in some jams. | 我以前给你惹过一些麻烦 |
[38:39] | Yes, you did. Let’s go to dinner. | 是的,我们去吃晚餐了 |
[38:41] | You’re giving someone an award tonight. | 你今晚要颁奖给某人 |
[38:44] | – I’ll explain it on the way. – What award? | -我边走边解释 -什么奖? |
[38:46] | The Francis Scott Key Key. | 法兰西斯史考特基钥匙之钥 |
[38:49] | I didn’t know you were related to pirates. | 我不知道你和海盗有亲戚关系 |
[38:51] | – That’s pretty hot. – I’m related to a privateer. | -够呛的 -我的祖先是武装民船船长 |
[38:54] | – What is a Francis Scott…? – I’ve written remarks. | -什么是法兰西斯史考特? -我已经有附注 |
[38:57] | Oh, good. | 很好 |
[39:01] | The White House is doing some quick backpedaling today… | 白宫今天出现 令人跌破眼镜的事 |
[39:04] | … claiming Deputy Communications Director Will Bailey… | 沟通处副总监威尔贝利表示 |
[39:07] | … was not speaking for the president… | 此�D私人意见而非总统发言 |
[39:09] | … when he said the flooding and deaths in Kachadee, Alaska… | 他陈述阿拉斯加 发生洪水及死亡事件 |
[39:12] | … were caused by, quote, “reckless disregard… | 其原因是由于 |
[39:15] | … for the issue of global warming.” | “严重疏忽全球暖化现象” |
[39:17] | Senate Republican Whip Bill Armstrong… | 共和党议员比尔阿姆斯壮指出 |
[39:19] | Will’s a good boy. | 威尔是个好男孩 |
[39:21] | – He fell on it? – Yeah. | -他先发制人? -是的 |
[39:22] | I gave a made-up award to Marion tonight. | 今晚我颁一个捏造的奖给马琳 |
[39:25] | – Marblehead? – I think she’s from Marblehead. | -姓马伯海德那个吗? -我想马伯海德是她的住处 |
[39:28] | No, some of us call her Marblehead. | 不,我们有些人称她为马寇 |
[39:30] | She was gonna boycott the thing. | 她本来要抵制的 |
[39:32] | – Because you’re a pirate? – No, not me. | -因为你是个海盗吗? -不,不是我 |
[39:34] | Seventeen generations ago. And he was a privateer. | 是十七代前的祖先 他是个武装民船船长 |
[39:38] | He fought the war. We didn’t have a navy. | 他是去打仗的,那时没有海军 |
[39:40] | I know what they were. | 我知道他们是什么 |
[39:42] | You put a guy on the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals… | 你把一个家伙放到上诉法院 第十巡回审判庭 |
[39:45] | …who called sexual harassment a flight of fancy for the overindulged. | 一个声称性骚扰为 “沉溺此道者的想像空间” |
[39:49] | – You put him on the Tenth Circuit. – Today? | -放在第十巡回审判庭 -今天吗? |
[39:51] | Three years ago. And TANF… | 还有三年前,临时家扶中心 |
[39:54] | …cut child-care subsidies, and equal pay got pocket-vetoed… | 减少儿扶的补助 同工同酬的议案被否决 |
[39:59] | …and Abstinence Only in teacher-funding initiatives. | 还有《禁欲条款》、《教师筹款案》 |
[40:02] | And I didn’t really do anything to stop them. | 我不曾真正试图阻止 |
[40:05] | – Yeah, you did. – And now this thing. | -不,你有 -现在这件事 |
[40:07] | I want to contribute, like Will, screwing up on purpose. | 我只是想有所贡献 就像威尔故意成为攻击焦点 |
[40:10] | – We don’t need to ask you, you do it… – I’m not kidding around! | -我们不需要你来,你是自己想 -我不是开玩笑的! |
[40:15] | I can’t reprimand you, it wouldn’t play well. | 我不能公开谴责你 这种玩法不好 |
[40:17] | – We save you for other things. – Okay. | -我们从其他方面救你 -好吧 |
[40:20] | – You wanna hear about Max Weber? – Get into bed. | -想听关于马克斯韦伯吗? -上床吧 |
[40:23] | German thinker Max Weber said… | 德国思想家马克斯韦伯说 |
[40:25] | …that politics is the slow boring of hard boards. | 政治是日渐无聊的理想 |
[40:28] | And anyone who seeks to do it must risk his own soul. | 想参政的人必须 冒着失去灵魂的危险 |
[40:31] | – You know what that means? – I like how you think patronizing me… | -你知道是什么意思吗? -我喜欢你收买我的方式 |
[40:35] | …will make me feel better. It’s sweet. | 就是想让我觉得舒服一点,贴心 |
[40:37] | It means that change comes in excruciating increments… | 意思是改革总是夹杂着 |
[40:40] | …to those who want it. | 巨大的利益 |
[40:42] | You’re trying to move mountains, it takes lifetimes. | 你想要移山,需要花一生的时间 |
[40:45] | But Zoey Bartlet is the newest Daughter of the American Revolution. | 但柔依巴特勒是 最新的《美国革命女儿》 |
[40:49] | So I like our chances for the long run. | 我们还有很长久的机会 |
[40:53] | That’s what you have to say? | 这就是你要说的吗? |
[40:56] | Yes. | 是的 |
[40:59] | All right, it’s pretty good. | 好,那很好 |
[41:03] | So what do you think, you wait a few weeks? | 你觉得怎样 再等几个星期吗? |
[41:06] | – Till the bulk of the bill’s appropriated. – Yeah. | -直到这堆法案拨款为止 -好的 |
[41:09] | Then maybe you cap the percentage of the funding… | 也许你能将涵盖言论钳制的经费 |
[41:13] | …that’s covered by the gag rule. – Yeah. | -弄个限额比例 -是的 |
[41:16] | I mean, how do you monitor what a doctor says… | 我的意思是,你如何监控 辛巴威的医生 |
[41:18] | …to a woman in Zimbabwe anyway? – You don’t. | -和女病人间的谈话? -不可能的 |
[41:21] | We just get more aggressive on the domestic side. | 我们在国内部分要更积极 |
[41:24] | We will. | 我们会的 |
[41:25] | Move family planning into a discretionary account in next year’s budget rounds. | 明年度帮家庭计划 弄个无上限的预算帐户 |
[41:29] | Keep talking, I’m gonna turn off the light. | 继续讲,我要把灯关掉了 |
[41:32] | Are you getting up at 6 tomorrow? | 明天你要六点起来吗? |
[41:34] | No, I have to get up early. | 不,我必须早起 |